Ron's Best Friend by lucilla_pauie
Summary: PRE-DH Happiness and love can be learned from the strangest of packages. You just have to open your eyes and untie the ribbons.

Ron and Hermione discover this in a little bundle—or ball—of joy and hair.

~This is especially written for my mongrel, Jego, and all doggies and dog-lovers in the HP Universe.



Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 13220 Read: 24020 Published: 05/23/07 Updated: 06/22/08

1. First Caper: Bingo! by lucilla_pauie

2. Second Caper: Belly Rub! by lucilla_pauie

3. Third Caper: "Sit! Roll Over! by lucilla_pauie

4. Fourth Caper: Fetch! by lucilla_pauie

5. Fifth Caper: Bad dog! by lucilla_pauie

6. Sixth Caper: In the doghouse! by lucilla_pauie

First Caper: Bingo! by lucilla_pauie
Ron’s Bestfriend

First Caper: Bingo!




There were so many stories already about Ron and Hermione post-war that this story simply begged to be among them.

We start neither at a war celebration, however, nor a Hogwarts graduation, nor a belated seventh year adventure at same beloved school, nor at a wedding, nor even an engagement party or some such special jovial occasion where we see our dear Hermione all pretty and glowing, and Ron all handsome but covering it up completely with his bumbling nerves…

No, we start at a perfectly ordinary day in Ron’s office, just when he suddenly sprayed black Auror’s coffee on several memos zooming like insistent flies before his eyes, because he suddenly remembered that it was not an ordinary day at all, though perfect, what with Hermione’s picture on his table and the memory of that morning’s sweetness still reeling in his memory.

This explained that morning’s sweetness, Merlin’s beard.

Ron gulped at his coffee”a nervous action, that, but he was grinning that endearing grin of his”depending on who we’re talking to”and the look on his face as he gazed past the flitting memos out the charmed window was quite beatific.

That morning must have been really sweet, indeed. Oh, yes, believe me.

A heady mix of waking up to the delightful smell of delightfully tousled brown locks, and the owner of such locks waking up herself, burrowing deeper into his embrace, turning smiling chocolate eyes at him, breathing to his ear, ‘Love you, Ron’, kissing him, not stopping until they turned the bed sheets damp with love’s delicious sweat, and then afterwards cooking him perfect eggs Benedict on muffins, and strawberry French toasts and kippers that positively thrashed his own mother’s culinary prowess…

It’s the eighteenth of July. And aside from being the Ministry’s payday, it’s also two months today since Hermione married him.

He never thought of it otherwise. In his mind, it’s always ‘she married me’. Not in the tone as in ‘she set canaries on me’, but as in ‘she loves me? Really?’ Just that same awed and admiring tone, you know, like when he first told her he loved her after she fixed his ink-splattered Dementor essay back in their eventful sixth year.

But we were talking about it being their second ‘month-sary’.

Last month’s had passed almost unnoticed because they were still in bed then”I mean, still in honeymoon then. Ron had already been sworn-in to his office then and was granted a paid month-long vacation as a wedding gift by his father”I mean, the Minister.

Ron needed to give his wife something special today as much as he needed to breathe. Two months ago she had made him the happiest of men”and she still did it in a daily basis.

Ron batted away the memos and they lay meekly on his table. He got up and paced. What to give her? What to give Hermione? What to give his brilliant beautiful sexy perfect wife?

“You bloody, bloody idiot.”

Ron smacked himself on the forehead and grinned again.

Their courtship had been almost non-existent. After all those years of bickering and jealousy and denial and then the typical muddling attributes of the war, they had thought it silly to go through the ‘going out’ phase when everyone wouldn’t have so much as raised an eyebrow if they sat at dinner and announced they were married. So they did just that.

Some time after the dust had settled and Harry was a little less barraged by owls”which meant a whole decade later”Ron and Hermione went to a small meeting with a magistrate, with a bouquet of red, red tulips, and the rings. Everything went as they expected, although they overestimated the nonchalance, because his mother burst into tears and threw the biggest mince pie on the platter at his face, and Ginny murdered Hermione with her eyes, muttering about bridesmaid promises and bridal bouquet Summoning. In the end, his father had declared they must marry again, this time properly. They didn’t argue. They’d gladly go through it again and again a thousand times.

The point of this happy recollection was that Ron had realized there was one thing Hermione had missed. He took his cloak from the stand, stuffed his unread memos into an inside pocket, and practically jigged all the way out of his office. Outside the door, however, he tried to carry a more formal countenance.

No use making his underlings think that their Head was not only young but barmy as well. Never mind that he fought Voldemort and his minions along with Harry Potter because where was that one now? No one knows and the Weasleys wouldn’t say. The last the world had heard of him was when he granted an interview to the Daily Prophet only to have the reporter publish one line and one line only: Ginny, will you marry me? Barmy. Tonkses among the Aurors were rare, see.



○0○





“We’re practically strangers!”

“Hermione’s been keeping you all to herself.”

“Look, you have a new freckle.”

“Where?” Ron pretended to check his face in alarm at the register’s chrome finish, still wearing the grin. “Sod off, gits. I’m on a mission today.”

Fred and George grabbed an arm of their brother apiece. “What mission then? Do give us a word and maybe we can help you and at the same time give a healthy push to our business.”

“Don’t you ever think of anything else? There’s a WWW everywhere it almost makes me sick!”

“Ah, but the Muggles love our tricks, too, and they think it’s ‘almost like magic!’” Fred beamed.

“Alright, whatever, just let me go, I want to get home early.”

“Let us do your mission for you then, why don’t you?” George offered.

“No!”

The twins grinned manically. “Ah, not Ministry business.”

“Hermione business, Fred.”

“What is it? We have a lot of new lingerie right here, brother dear.”

Ron was blushing his endearing blush and wrenched his arms away from his brothers’ hold. “Not lingerie, you idiots. Just let me get to it.”

“Hmmm, well, if you insist. But you might want to visit the new shop over beside Gringotts.”

“Behind Gringotts.”

“Is it behind? Hard to keep track, really.”

“No, I mean, the shop behind Gringotts is cool as well.”

“And what shops are these? No, don’t answer. I’ll be stupid to go there. See you at Mum’s dinner.”

“Whoa, Ronnikins, not so fast! We missed you; we’ll walk you to the shops.”

Where was Harry when you needed him?

Well, he’s in the Philippines, on the other side of the Atlantic and the Pacific, in an island called Palawan, seeing pearl farms and crocodile farms and coral reefs, lazing around in sugar-fine, white-sand beaches and steeped in mango nectar, with Ginny.

Ron had no choice but his twin brothers’ company.

The shop beside Gringotts was a baby shop, the awning a rainbow of pastels and the display windows full of stuffed hippogriffs which looked too cute to be real.

Ron sputtered.

“Calm down! We just thought you wouldn’t waste much time...”

The shop behind Gringotts was a jewellery place, affluent, with a velvety, gold-embroidered crimson awning and a carpet on the frosted glass entrance, which was guarded by a liveried burly wizard.

“Well, Ronnikins, by your lack of sputtering and speech, we assume we are right? This is your mission?”

“What mission are you talking of, sirs?” asked the concierge.

“What mission can we talk of otherwise? Not in any illegal engagements, are you?”

“Fred!” Ron lost his lack of speech and sputtered.

The burly wizard swelled in potent indignation. “This is a noble establishment, messieurs. A far cry from that joke of a place called Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, for instance.”

The twins’ faces were wiped of their mock poker faces; no doubt they had not expected Fred’s prank to rebound like this.

“Have you been there?”

“Noh, and I do not wish to. Are you going in, messierurs?”

“Noh, we do not wish to. We are from Fortescue’s, and we thought you might like to test our new sundae, for free, of course, in exchange for your noble opinion,” Fred said with a bow.

George conjured a tall goblet of a quite-delicious-looking chocolate and vanilla swirl sprinkled with tiny orange and pink marshmallows. The concierge gave it one look and grinned widely, smacking his lips as George gave him the goblet. The burly wizard sniffed it fastidiously, closing his eyes. “Mmm! Almonds and cinnamon!”

Of course, he lost no time slurping it up, all dignity forgotten. By the time the shiny silver spoon clinked on the empty goblet, the burly wizard was replaced by a hippo on his hind legs.

Ron groaned.

“That was most satisfactory and exquisite, messieurs, an excellent recipe,” said the hippo. It took him two seconds to frown at his thick growl-y voice and then frown at his thick gray hide before he whipped out his wand and pointed it at Fred and George, who ducked, howling with laughter.

The hippo stumbled on his giant hind legs and the spell he was still firing shot to Ron, who blinked at it in the half-second he saw what was happening. He’d have no time to duck and it was entirely Fred and George’s bloody fault...

A flash of white hair overtook the flash of hex light, and the next second, Ron felt blinding pain in his backside. He had tumbled onto the pavement, sent there by a dog.

He blinked. No, not a dog; a puppy. Brown spots over white fur. Floppy ears and great brown eyes. Big feet on Ron’s chest. Velvety pink tongue lolling out of a smiling mouth.

And the most remarkable thing: a stone sparkled like a light on its shaggy chest.

Ron lost all awareness of the fight beside them. He just stood up, cradling the puppy to his chest.

“Now, where did you come from, little guy? I can’t just take you home with me when you aren’t paid for. Hermione won’t like that.”

Five minutes later, Ron came out of the Menagerie, a hundred and fifty galleons deducted from his account in Gringotts, and he’s smiling about it.



○0○



“Hi! You’re early.”

“Yes, well, it’s a special day, isn’t it?”

Do I have to say what they shared as Ron entered the door? Yes, a long, sweet kiss, the box in Ron’s hand notwithstanding.

“I thought I’d have to remind you, you looked so bewildered this morning.”

Hermione was wearing a simple auburn silk dress that flared down to her knees, draping every curve delicately and making her skin glow like milk. “You have that effect on me, Hermione,” Ron said hoarsely.

Hermione smiled and kissed him again for that. “Oh, what’s this?” she asked, noticing the box.

“And what’s this?” Ron returned, the awe and admiration back in his voice, reaching the dining room from the hall and seeing the candles shedding golden light over the delicate fillets and steaks and the bottle of wine chilling on a pewter bucket of ice on the table.

“My first try on cooking a fancy dinner for you.”

“It’s just really flying and chess you couldn’t do perfectly on the first try, isn’t it?”

“Well, I’m glad you think so, Ron.” Hermione laughed. “But you might want to taste them first!”

He gently placed the box down on the carpeted floor. Hermione raised a brow at him and he waggled a finger at her before forking a piece of the steak into his mouth. It was divine, with a hint of herbs he wouldn’t be able to name. And the fillet practically melted in his mouth in a burst of flavours. He turned to Hermione with a dazed look on his face.

But she was somewhere on level with his knees, squatted on the floor already untying the ribbon on the box. Curious wench couldn’t wait. So he forked another bite of steak and joined her on the floor, wanting to see her reaction.

“Oh, Ron!” she breathed in shock.

“You like him?” Ron asked tentatively.

“He’s adorable.” And Hermione turned gleaming eyes to him. He sighed in relief. He should have gotten her a cat, wouldn’t you say? Yes, especially as Crookshanks had died three years ago. But, you know, a cat like that, it would almost feel like a sacrilege to even try to replace him.

Hermione had taken the pup into her arms. “He’s so soft.”

The moment he was out of the box, it transfigured into a basket lined with a red fleece blanket. On top of the blanket appeared matching red bowls for food and drink. Hermione beamed. “Wonderful present, Ron.”

Ron scooted over until their hips touched. He also stroked the puppy’s downy fur, twining his fingers with hers as he did so. “The woman at the menagerie sedated him for the Apparition home, he should wake any moment.”

“Oh, Ron, look!” Hermione had noticed the stone. She gently rolled the puppy in her arms so that he lay there like roadkill, feet in the air. They laughed softly.

“Yeah, that’s the reason why I took him, aside from his cuteness and his saving me from a hex”don’t ask, Fred and George picked a fight, see”it’s a diamond, Hermione. I forgot I never gave you a diamond.”

She snuggled against him after giving a kiss on his jaw. “What for?”

“Oh don’t pretend like you don’t know, you were just so anti-romance you ditched any plans for engagement rings.”

“Well, look, diamond puppies are better.”

Ron smiled, burying his face in her hair, inhaling her apple and vanilla scent. “I knew Crooks was irreplaceable so””

“Yes, yes, you’re right,” Hermione said hastily; she still hadn’t gotten over her cat, apparently. “And dogs are better for families.”

“Fred and George took me to a baby shop, you know.”

“And?”

“And, nothing, I thought I’d get reacquainted with my lunch.”

Hermione laughed evilly. “I can’t wait to see your reaction when I do get pregnant.”

“It will be like this,” Ron growled, kissing her again and tipping her back to the floor, unheeding of the fact that they had a puppy between them.

Hermione giggled against his lips, kissing him back even as she braced him with her arms to keep him from squashing the puppy still in her chest.

“Stop, Ron, he’s waking!”

Ron scrambled upright and pulled Hermione with him. They watched as the yawn came, and then the big eyes blinked open. Hermione moaned in delight. The puppy burst into happy yips and immediately attempted to lick their faces.

“Oh my, I guess cats are too dignified for this kind of affection,” Hermione giggled, embracing the pup and passing it to Ron to avoid the licking. She got up and unceremoniously took her steak from her plate and plopped it onto one of the red bowls.

Ron swallowed his protest when he saw how gleefully the puppy turned to his dinner. He and Hermione exchanged bemused looks.

“What will we name him?”

“You pick, you’re good at names.”

“I don’t know, Ron, um, Fluffy?” Hermione grinned.

Ron made a face and the puppy also paused in his occupation to tilt his head at Hermione as if to say, “Are you mental?” They laughed again.

“Cerberus, then. Facing it was our first frolic together, Ron. What about it, Cerb?” Hermione added, wiping the puppy’s dribbling chin.

Cerberus gave a satisfied yip.

Husband and wife twinkled at each other. You’d think they just named their first child.



Feed the puppy-muse! Leave a review, thank you! Arf arf!
Second Caper: Belly Rub! by lucilla_pauie
Ron’s Bestfriend

Second Caper: Belly Rub!



The next day would be a Saturday, and the Wizarding world freshly purged of the Dark Arts didn’t require its Aurors to go in on weekends unless the freshly purged Dark Arts were showing new patrons. As it was, Ron intended to have a lie in, with Hermione pillowed on him, but soon after they entered the door of their bedchamber for an extended ‘month-sary’ celebration in bed, they heard whines and scratches.

I am now pointing my wand to you, dear readers. Sonorus! “Ron groaned.”

Yes, you’re right, he groaned. Hermione laughed. “He’s so sweet, isn’t he?”

“I thought two steaks would keep him knocked out ‘til tomorrow! Hermione, I know I have no right to complain, but please don’t tell me your bossiness is nonexistent to puppies. Oh Merlin, you aren’t planning to take him to bed like you did with Crookshanks, are you?”

Hermione gave him a wounded look. “Don’t be silly, puppies grow up and dogs are too big to sleep with.”

“Well, what are we going to do with Cerb? Nice going, boy,” he scolded, as Cerberus pranced in after Hermione opened the door.

“Oh, look at him,” Hermione giggled.

Ron rolled his eyes at Hermione and continued to look sternly at Cerberus, who had dropped on his back by Ron’s feet now, his stubby legs in the air. “Cerb, you will sleep in your nice basket in the kitchen like a good boy, you hear me?”

In answer, Cerberus thumped his tail on the carpet and kicked his little legs in circles, as if he was working an invisible bicycle. Hermione turned her laugh into a cough as Ron shot her an exasperated glare. “Don’t encourage him, Hermione!”

“Ron, he’s a puppy, for heaven’s sake. A baby. You can’t expect him to be obedient yet. We’ll have to train him””

“And no better than to start now, show him who’s master.” With that, he picked up Cerberus and carried him out the bedroom and downstairs back to his basket near the sink in the kitchen. As soon as Ron let go, Cerberus scrambled up and tried to skirt past Ron, who grabbed him and plopped him again on his basket. Cerberus yipped unhappily.

“Hush, boy! Listen, we’ll romp tomorrow, but that will be a reward for being a good boy tonight,” Ron said firmly, and just as firmly held Cerberus down until the pup stopped straining against his hand and laid down peaceably on the fleece blanket.

To his horror, Ron felt a stab of guilt, as if he’d been too harsh. He stroked Cerb for another minute until the pup’s eyes closed before he stood up and went back to Hermione.

She was reading in the window seat, curled up there in a claret satin nightgown which displayed rather than covered her. Ron grinned. Hermione saw that grin and faked disinterest. Ron grinned wider, padded to their tallboy and began conspicuously rifling through his pyjamas. He didn’t stop even after he provoked a sniff and then a snap of pages. Finally, finally, he heard, “The plaid navy, please.”

“Oh, sure, love. You like that one, don’t you?” He smirked.

Hermione smirked back. “What I like is not at all in the pyjama’s weave or craftsmanship.”

Ron laughed, and then clapped a hand to his mouth. He listened tensely for a moment before smiling at Hermione, who was giggling into her book.

“You realize you looked like a father who was afraid of waking the baby?”

“Good practice then, isn’t it?” He swept her into his arms for a quick kiss. When they had decided to marry, they had also decided to have a family. No waits.

“I’m already excited about you becoming a dad.” Hermione smiled, linking her arms around his neck.

“And you becoming a mum. But the way you were going with Cerberus so far, I think you’ll spoil our kids. Two steaks, and even ready to let him sleep in the master bedroom.”

As if on cue, the whines and scratches started again outside their bedroom door.

Ron raised his eyes to heaven.

“Ron,” Hermione began, but Ron shushed her with another kiss. “You deal with him while I take a shower.”

Ten minutes later, Ron peeked into the bedroom, afraid to see Cerb on the rug, or worse, on his side of the bed. But Hermione was alone, brushing her hair by the vanity in quick business-like strokes. She saw him peeking in the mirror and laughed. Ron cowered and put a finger on his lips. She laughed again, though her eyes shone with satisfaction and something else as she looked him up and down.

“I gave him some warm milk. That always calmed Crookshanks.”

“And did you place newspapers in the floor?” Ron said, taking her brush and passing it through his hair thrice before he took her and swung her to the bed.

“Hmmm, I did.” She hummed as he began showering her with kisses. “But we’ll have to train him to do it outside when we install a flap on the kitchen door.”

“Anything you say, Hermione. But shouldn’t we be talking of something else right now?”

“Like what?”

“Like how I love you.”

“Oh, I’m well aware of that.”

“Are you?”

Well, need I go into details? I leave everything else to your” er, creative imaginations. You know how newlyweds are, and ones intent on making babies, too, at that.

After some moment’s imaginary interlude in the narration: Well, you know how amusing it is to annoy Ron, so, indeed, here came Cerberus again, begging on the door.

Yes, Ron groaned. “Can’t we just sedate him or stun him?”

Hermione laughed almost hysterically. “Ron! That’s mean. Let him in, he can sleep in the rug. Just the one night, c’mon. He’s probably lonesome, new place and all, no fellows to bark with.”

Ron disentangled himself from Hermione and got up to open the door, grumbling, “I’ve half a mind to return him to his barking fellows right now.”

“Oh no, you don’t! I adore him.”

Hermione might have spoken that line too loudly, because the moment he could fit between the gap Ron made with the door, Cerberus squeezed in, sprinted across the room and bounded on top of the bed, smack into Hermione’s chest. Hermione shrieked and giggled. Ron growled.

“Cerberus! On the rug. Now!”

“Ron, you’re being silly””

I’m being silly?” And he pointed at Cerberus, who had scrambled off Hermione’s embrace to sprawl on his back on the bed, his feet dancing in the air again. He fought the smile that was threatening to form on his face.

Hermione chuckled at the puppy, crooned to him and rubbed his tummy. Cerberus whined delightedly, curling up to attempt to lick her.

“Oh, Ron, see, he just wanted some cuddling. When he’s had enough, he’ll drop to sleep.”

Ron didn’t answer; he just stood there, watching her play with the pup he had given her. She looked adorable, tickling and crooning at Cerberus like he was a baby.

Before Ron knew it, he was beside her, spooning onto her back and again interlocking their fingers in Cerb’s fur. She turned her head to smile at him tenderly. “If he doesn’t sleep within fifteen minutes, I’ll use the Somnus charm, I promise.”

Ron grinned that endearing grin of his and with another mock growl rolled over her and tackled Cerberus. Their laughter and the puppy’s yips mingled like music in the room.



Author’s Note: Dogs, like wolves, can be nocturnal. Their eyes are more sensitive in distinguishing the blacks and greys of the night, see. And puppies can get really crazy, and endearing, at night.

Somnus is the Roman god of sleep.

Feed the puppy-muse! Leave comments, thank you! I also invite you dog-lovers who come by my humble little fic to PM me amusing or touching stories with your doggies. I might use it here. Arf Arf!
Third Caper: "Sit! Roll Over! by lucilla_pauie
Ron’s Best Friend

Third Caper: Sit! Roll Over!





Ron woke and blinked at the room’s cheerful and cosy golden light for several moments, wondering, as everyone seemed to always do, what brought him out of sleep. He saw the empty space beside him and had a good guess. He flung off the covers, pulled on his pyjama bottoms, threw on his dressing robe and ambled out their bedroom. The moment he was in the hall, there was a happy yip from somewhere, and then a flash of brown and white skidded to halt by his feet.

Ron laughed and cocked his head at the dog, remembering how he and Hermione had worn Cerberus out in a rub fest and then levitated him to his basket. The pup looked very chipper and content now, on his back and paddling his legs in the air again. “Good morning to you, too, boy. But I’d rather cuddle your mistress first, alright?”

Cerb gave a couple of yips as if he completely understood, righted himself on the floor, wriggling like an eel, and trotted off with his whipcord tail high in the air. Master followed dog to the sitting room and through the open French windows, where Hermione sat curled in one of the patio chaise lounges, staring at her cannas, watering can at her feet and a book in her hands.

She must also be still in her nightgown, because she was wrapped in the aquamarine dressing robe matching Ron’s. She had that faraway look which meant she was thinking about something very hard. Ron had always known that look. It preceded Hermione’s diving for her quill and scratching away with frightening speed on a parchment.

“Hey,” he almost whispered, afraid to disturb her. She turned her face to him. In a second, he was hunkered next to her. “What’s the matter?”

She blinked at him and smiled. “What do you mean? Good morning, Ron.”

“For a moment there, I thought you were about to cry.” He stared at her and noted her eyes didn’t have their usual vivacity. “Are you alright?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” She smoothed a hand against his cheek and kissed him. “I was just zoning off, waiting for you to wake up. And this book! Remind me never to read a Nicholas Sparks again.”

“ ‘A Walk to Remember’? That gives me an idea. I’ll make us some breakfast and then let’s take Cerb to the park.”

Hermione held up her arms and he hauled her to her feet, kissing her soundly. They went to the kitchen arm in arm, Cerb at their heels.

“Eggs? Bacon? Sausages?”

“I’ll just have some toast, Ron.”

He frowned at her and cracked six eggs over the hot frying pan. When they were done, he slid them onto a plate and threw bacon and sausages in the grease next. Hermione was at the breakfast counter, looking at Cerberus exploring and sniffing around the cupboard doors. Her eyes still had that glazed look.

“That book must have really depressed you, love.”

Hermione smiled ruefully and got up to fetch plates. He sat down with the sausages and bacon and doled her some of everything. Cerb barked from between their stools, wagging his tail.

Ron plucked three strips of bacon from the plate and was lowering it to the pup when Hermione dropped the pitcher of juice she’d just taken from the fridge to snatch the bacon away inches from Cerb’s mouth.

“Ron! He’ll learn to beg every time we sit to eat if you give him food like this. Last night was an exception, but today we begin training him, okay? Let him see that he gets his turn when we finish.”

Ron nodded. “Have you read up on this, then?”

Hermione transferred half of her food to his plate. “I’ve always wanted pets. I’ve researched training tips for dogs, cats and birds way back when I was in third grade in Muggle school.”

“I know some, too. Look.” Ron turned to Cerberus, who was whining by his feet. Ron took a bit of sausage and showed it to the puppy.

Ron stood and went over to the sink. Cerb followed. “Sit!” Puppies nearly always sat on their haunches anyway when looking up at their owners. When Cerb sat, Ron gave him the sausage. He went back to the breakfast counter. Cerb followed again. Ron broke off a piece of crispy bacon this time. “Sit!” And though Cerb was already sitting, Ron gave him the bacon.

“It’s a start.” He grinned at Hermione.

She rolled her eyes. “I told you not to feed him when we’re eating.” But when Cerb barked up at her and put a paw on her leg, she gave him a whole sausage almost automatically. She winced in self-reproach. Ron laughed and fed her a spoonful of eggs.


○0○


They showered together after giving Cerberus his breakfast of sausages and lactose-free milk. It was a lovely summer day. Hermione dressed in a pleated azure skirt reminiscent of her Hogwarts uniform. It danced around her knees. Her ecru shirt matched Ron’s blue one in design. He wore khaki pants. They made rather a lovely pair as they fussed over their puppy in their garden path.

“Is he too young to be leashed yet?”

As if in answer, Cerb clamped his little jaws on the red leash and began to chew. Hermione gave a small tug. “Call him from the gate, Ron.”

The puppy shot off at hearing his name, but Hermione pointed her wand at the leash to adjust its length until Cerb had to halt. “Heel, Cerb!” Hermione then walked beside the puppy while Ron continued to call to keep him walking. Cerb stayed at Hermione’s heels though, because the leash prevented him to go any farther.

After frequent stops to keep Cerb by her heels while intoning the command, Hermione reached the gate. Ron took the shortened leash from her, put an arm around her waist, and they walked down their street. Cerb tried to drag them, so eager was he to sniff around and explore the new territory. “Heel, boy, heel!” Ron would say, and tug until the pup was once again trotting beside their feet.

“Oh, ducks! What a picture you two make! Just a pram missing now and you’re perfect!”

It was Miss Buffwood, their middle-aged spinster neighbour. She was a witch. Almost all in their street were magical. There was just this young Muggle lawyer and his sister in the corner lot and the Muggle supermarket opposite. Mrs Buffwood claimed to be the first witch to settle there in Hydrangea Avenue, and she doted on the young Weasley couple to the point of making Molly grit her teeth in jealousy and possessiveness.

“Oh, hi Enid. Ron just took him home last night as a present for me. His name’s Cerberus.”

“Hello there, Cerberus!” The elder woman waddled down to her gate and looked down at the yipping puppy. “He’s a lively one. And look at that stone! My, my. Magical, isn’t he? Already knows his name after just a day. You shouldn’t have trouble training him at all. Perfect to keep you company. Ducks, you’re glowing this morning.” And she pinched Hermione’s cheek.

“Thank you, Enid, it’s the summer perhaps,” Hermione mumbled, grinning at Ron and raising her brows at his slightly disgruntled and nauseated look.

“The summer, my hind foot! Of course it’s your handsome husband here who put those stars in your eyes,” she crooned, winking at Ron.

“Yes, well, thanks, Miss Buffwood, we best get going now before Cerb tramples your flowerbeds.”

And with a nod and without waiting for the lady’s answer, Ron dragged Hermione and Cerb away, Hermione giggling. “She’s not so bad this morning, Ron. At least, she didn’t call you ducks.”

“That’s why I escaped! Before she could. And pinch my cheeks besides. Honestly, she makes Mum seem McGonagall-like. Heel, Cerb!”

Hermione giggled again. And then she squeezed his waist. “Do I have stars in my eyes, really?”

“That’s ridiculous.”

She scowled. Ron saw it and let go of her shoulder to tilt her chin toward him. “Your eyes don’t have stars, Hermione. They have diamonds. That’s the better betaphor, isn’t it?”

He grinned when she muttered an ‘Oh.’ That and the blush that tinted her cheeks were enough indication she was pleased.

“Stars, my hind foot! It’s not as if you look like someone clobbered you with a Bludger bat!”

Hermione let out a tinkling laugh that drew some looks from other morning walkers. She buried her face in his chest for a moment, not caring about the public display for once. Ron felt rather cocky and humbled at the same time and smiled.

“I’ve never thought of the expression that way. Oh, and it’s metaphor, my love. Heel, Cerb!



○0○



They settled under an oak in the square park and lengthened Cerb’s leash, letting him explore and approach other dogs and people. He was rather friendly, unlike other young dogs who snarled at strange canines within a mile radius. Hermione lay in the grass with her head in Ron’s lap. He stroked her hair with his free hand (his other wrist was busy with the leash), and they talked about their house (trying to decide which of the four bedrooms to turn into a nursery), Harry and Ginny (who should get back for Harry’s birthday), and Hermione’s many job offers, most of which had begun to tempt with nice by-correspondence options and positions, since it was known that she and Ron were nesting.

“I don’t want you working, but that will be like you saying you don’t want me playing Quidditch.”

“Well said.”

Ron bent to kiss her forehead. “Look at the time. Do you want to go someplace for lunch or do we eat right here?”

There were several nice choices of bistros around the square, but Hermione simply pointed at a hotdog stand and took Cerb’s leash from Ron so he could buy some. Cerberus tried to follow Ron but was content to cuddle with and lick Hermione when she pulled him to her arms. “You are so sweet, baby!”

Ron returned with their sandwiches. They reinforced the ‘Sit!’ command to Cerberus and rewarded him of his share every time he promptly dropped on his haunches at the word. Ron even rolled in the grass, and rolled Cerb with him, with Hermione laughing “Roll over, roll over!” in the background.

That, coupled with his large breakfast and lunch, soon sent Cerberus into snore-land. He plopped on his belly on the grass, hind legs stretched out, his chin between his front paws, and closed his large eyes. Hermione snuggled back in Ron’s lap.

“Such a beauty, isn’t he?”

“Yeah,” Ron answered, staring at her and the way coins of sunlight seeping through he foliage above them dappled her hair, making it gleam with red and gold highlights. She reached up and tenderly pulled him down for a kiss.

Neither of them noticed the flash of a camera, and they only laughed when they saw themselves in that Evening Prophet’s Where are They Now? column, their picture kissing and snuggling with Cerb in the grass beneath the quote: “Hogwarts’ Indubitable Sweetest Alumni Couple”.

“Ginny would kill us and indubitably raise a protest to the Evening Prophet!”

“Even if she does, you two are just so sweet, ducks! I can’t stop looking at this photograph! Can I frame it?” Enid Buffwood appeared like a mushroom in their garden. Ron jumped and groaned. Cerb yipped happily.



Author’s Note: Woof! Sorry for the laaaate update. I’ve been and still am busy. But from now on, this story will run along fast. The chapters are shorter than my usual output anyway, so it will. The fluff has a spice of plot, of course, and it will begin in the next chapter and be finished after six more.

Doggie notes for doggie lovers: Most dogs are lactose-intolerant. So be careful when giving them milk. Forgot to note this in the last chapter. ‘Sit!’ is the easiest command to teach to doggies. ‘Heel!’ can’t be taught until later when your dog is big enough for leash-training, but it’s never too early to start trying (soon after your dog had got the hang of walking in a leash). Oh, it’s advised that you train with one command at a time and wait until your doggie has mastered one before moving to another. I hope I’m right in my babbling. Hehe! ^-^ In this story, Cerb matures and adapts fast intellectually thanks to his magical genes.

Book note: ‘A Walk to Remember’ is my favourite Nicholas Sparks novel. If you haven’t read it yet, do! But prepare tissue.

Thank you for reading, please review! Arf! Arf!

Fourth Caper: Fetch! by lucilla_pauie
Ron’s Best Friend

Fourth Caper: Fetch!



It was now two weeks since Cerb was added to the Weasley Family’s Ron Branch. He had since learned to Sit, Stay, and Heel. And his mistress was positively besotted with him. His basket had already been moved to the master’s bedroom. Ron had given up. It was easier than having to carry Cerb back down to the kitchen every night. Hermione just opted to teach the puppy not to climb on the bed without invitation. He was learning.

Now it was Sunday morning. Cerb’s snores and Ron’s snores was like static in the room. Hermione woke up and giggled at the sound, burrowing deeper in their summer blanket and nuzzling her face in Ron’s chest. He grumbled and rolled away. Hermione laughed outright and slapped his bum.

“Oh no, you don’t, Ron! We have to get busy! Brunch, remember? All the family and extended family coming?”

“That’s today?” Ron groused. “I hate him right now.”

“Who?”

“Harry. He should have stayed away. Not hassling us this way.”

Hermione laughed again and propped her chin on his shoulder. “You’re the one who suggested we hold their welcome back do here. You wanted to show off your house, didn’t you? Wanted to show off your dog.”

“And my wife.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and smiled onto his cheek, kissing it. “They all know me. But that was sweet, love. I admit I like to show the house, too. We haven’t been visited officially yet after our ‘official’ wedding. It’s clever to invite them all at once already. I think Molly ” oh, hello, baby!”

Cerb had woken while they were talking and was now yipping and jumping up and down by Hermione’s side of the bed. She laughed. “You know who gives the bed permission.”

Cerb automatically bolted and skidded over to Ron’s side.

“What?” Ron said in a mock snappy tone.

Cerb quieted and sat back. And then he tilted his head to starboard.
“You are a manipulative mutt,” Ron said, exchanging a grin with Hermione, who was giggling with her chin on his shoulder once more, her arm around his waist. “Up here.”

Cerb shot to the top of the bed as if on springs.

“Eew, you have to brush, boy.”

“You’re one to talk.”

“You’ll have to be punished for such comments, Mrs Weasley.”



○0○



First to arrive were Harry and Ginny. They’d help with the brunch as it was partly Harry’s birthday party and the couple’s ‘we’re back’ thing as well. Moreover, Hermione had planned it so that Cerb wouldn’t be overwhelmed with a sudden flood of new people in his territory. It was the pup’s first introduction to socializing. Enid Buffwood didn’t count because she preferred to invite Hermione for tea rather than visit for fear of ‘intruding on a newlyweds’ love nest. I wouldn’t dream of it, dear!’ (Ron had rolled his eyes upon hearing it.)

Promptly at nine, the pleasant ‘ding-dong’ of their doorbell sounded.

“Hermione!”

“Ginny!”

“Right, ignore me.”

“Don’t be stupid, Harry,” Hermione laughed, hugging him in turn. “We missed you so much.”

“I doubt that,” Harry said flippantly, embracing her back. “Where’s Ron? I thought he’d be glaring at me by now.”

“Oh, he’s giving Cerberus a bath.”

Barks and yelps sounded from within the house.

“Oh?” Ginny looked thrilled. “Oh, this is nice, Hermione.”

They were in the sitting room then. The French windows dominating one wall were open, a perfect frame to Ron and Hermione’s little garden, letting in a soft breeze and the perfect light from the north. To downplay the brightness, the walls had garnet papering, dotted with the smallest, champagne fleurs-de-lis. The fat sofas were in teal, with pillows in red and gold patchwork damask. Walnut bookshelves flanked the deep stone hearth. There were also books on the mantel, and on the walnut end tables, and under the coffee table. “A library,” Ginny added, grinning.

Hermione grinned back. “Ron doesn’t mind. As long as I don’t ignore him too much. And I’m moving the books when we finally decide which room becomes the library and which becomes the nursery.”

“Nursery. Room beside or opposite yours, of course.”

Harry sounded awed. “Are ” are you...?”

“No, not yet. Don’t scare me unnecessarily, you prat.”

“And hello to you, too, Ron.” Ginny walked over to hug her brother, who held up a hand.

“Not yet, Ginny ””

“Ugh! You smell like a wet dog.”

“I tried to warn you,” said Ron, grinning at Harry. And then they both looked down.

Cerberus stood by Ron’s feet, still damp, but mostly dry. Still adorable, but a little wary.

“Who have you got there?” said Harry cheerily. Hermione went beside him, looping an arm around his. Ron slung an arm around Ginny likewise, showing Cerberus the new people were friends.

“That’s Cerberus. Ron got him two weeks ago. We love him.”

Cerberus looked at Hermione as she spoke and she kept her voice affectionate. Ron, keeping an arm around Ginny, steered his sister to the sofa and they all sat.

“He’s so handsome. Hi, Cerberus,” said Ginny.

“Why is he so quiet, Ron?” Hermione asked, keeping her tone jovial. It was important to let Cerberus know that his masters were not under threat or even unhappy with these ‘intruders’.

“I don’t know. You’re the one who reads the books. What do you think, Harry?”

“He’s sizing us up. Is he friendly?”

“Oh, yes, very. But this is the first time someone’s staying inside the house. Our neighbour Enid usually just pops in and out.”

“Don’t worry. He’s so well-behaved he’s not even barking at us. He just looks like a shy little boy receiving his first visit from a heretofore absentee aunt and uncle.”

“Well, you are that, I reckon,” said Ron. They laughed. “And he doesn’t bark, does he, Hermione? He just yips when he’s happy.”

As if on cue, Cerberus yipped.

“I reckon I can call him now? Cerberus, here, boy!”

Cerberus pranced to Harry. Harry let him sniff. Cerberus then let him rub and scratch.



○0○



Next came, in perfect sync, the senior Weasleys and the Grangers.

“It seems forever since I last saw you, sweet pea,” said Helen. She and Logan had been in a convention when Ron and Hermione returned from honeymoon and since then hadn’t had the opportunity until that day to see their daughter. “Oh you’ve gotten a puppy! How precious! Does he bite?”

“No, Mum, just let him observe you for a bit.” Her father was already waggling his brows at Cerberus. “Dad, don’t annoy him! Puppies are very impressionable!” Hermione then swapped with Ron (who had already showered to get rid of the wet dog smell) and hugged Molly and Arthur.

“Well, how are you, dear?” Molly gushed, looking her up and down. “You do glow.”

Hermione blushed while Arthur shook his head in sympathy.

“I’m fine, but not that fine yet.”

“Honestly, Mum! If I’d known you would be in such a rush””

Molly hit Ron upside the head before he could finish that thought. Harry and Ginny emerged for their turn at being cuddled. Molly gave a small shriek. It had been a secret between the four friends that the honeymooners were back.

Cerberus gave his first true bark then, but quieted when he saw the woman falling to an armchair, where Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione all embraced her.

“Oh, stop that now; I’m not delicate, just happy! You wicked things!” Kerfuffle followed and proceeded to the kitchen, where fruit juice and cheese toasties were waiting for the parents. The Grangers had brought pastries and ice cream. Molly brought cakes and her famous mince pies, along with a baked ham. Harry and Ron worked on the brochettes and fillets on the deck off the dining room. Ginny and Hermione kept an eye on the tarts in the oven, the potatoes on the pots, and tossed salads and garnished canapés, while talking a mile a minute to their mothers.

Arthur and Logan had taken to rummaging around Ron and Hermione’s tool shed in the back; no one noticed when Cerberus wandered out to the yard and jumped over the garden paling, smack into the Apparating figures of Fred and George.

The snarling on both sides sent the people in the house running.



○0○



When Neville came, Cerberus jumped on him after only a second’s hesitation. Neville had since learnt not to stand when the dog was around.

When Luna arrived, Cerberus stared at her and then followed her everywhere, yipping happily when Luna asked him if he wanted this or that from the table or the buffet.

When Bill arrived with Fleur, Cerberus was solemn, on account of the bundle in Fleur’s arms. When that bundle began to wriggle and squeak and gurgle, Cerberus yipped again and didn’t leave Fleur’s knee, seemingly not able to get enough of little Vicky’s tugging his ears.

When Professor McGonagall came, Cerberus sat stiffly, as though knowing better than to misbehave before the stately woman. Minerva was quite charmed enough with the puppy’s comportment that she patted Cerberus whenever he left her to go back to little Vicky or follow Luna again.

He was just as friendly and accommodating to everyone else... except the twins.

“He’s taken a grudge against you,” Ron said to them, happily.

“Shame. We were thinking to have a new line, dog treats, you know,” Fred enunciated loudly. Cerberus only turned up his nose and went over to Minerva, who was chatting with Helen by a hydrangea bush.

The rest of the women were all cooing over Vicky, who was eighteen months old and growing. She was a little cranky because of a tooth emerging, but seemed to forget her discomfort when there was a delicious finger available from one of her admirers.

“She disdains her teething ring. I think per’aps Fred and George should make a flesh-flavoured one,” Fleur said, making the twins choke on their tarts, in glee or revulsion, no one dared ask.

“You have to let us baby-sit now and then. For practice. I’m sure you need some time off for yourself, Fleur. Bill, too. The two of you together!” Hermione wasn’t looking at them though; she was blowing wet raspberries in Vicky’s neck. The baby was giggling loudly. Cerberus watched avidly, probably wondering at this hairless creature his mistress was cuddling.

“Well...” Bill grinned.

“Hermione just probably wants to baby-train their dog,” Fred put in.

Cerberus growled at him.

“Can dogs be baby-trained, really?” Fleur asked, taking her child away from Hermione, who wiped her saliva-slick finger on her napkin, looking put out at the loss of the baby.

“Yes. Honestly, Fred, if you knew so much about dogs, why does Cerb hate you?”

Fred placed a greasy hand over her mouth. “Don’t establish it in his mind, Hermione.”

Helen returned to the table just then. “Dears, I’m absolutely ashamed, but we do have another engagement, I’m afraid. It’s been lovely. I hope we get together again like this soon.”

“Oh yes, I’ve decided we have brunch on each of their houses every year. The rest are in ours every Sunday. You should come, Helen.”

“I don’t know, Mum, me and Fred don’t know how to execute this brunch thing ourselves yet,” George said.

“Oh, I’d love to! And I want to host a brunch myself and have you all. Just another of these engagements and your father and I could retire, Hermione.”

“Really?” Hermione asked blithely. Helen blushed. Hermione and Ron exchanged private smirks. Molly bustled up from the table and wrapped up some of the food for the couple. Logan loved Molly’s ham. Helen had long accepted defeat in that arena of baking. Both women dropped morsels to Cerberus, ignoring Ron and Hermione’s protests.

“Now, how do you baby-train a dog, exactly?” Arthur asked after the Grangers had been warmly sent off.

“I’ve heard about that one, it’s like horse whispering; only you let the baby wail in the dog’s ears instead. It teaches them not to harm the baby for dread of that wailing.”

“That’s interesting, Luna,” Ginny said with emphatic interest. The others carefully avoided catching each others’ eyes. Ron and Harry snorted into their salads. Neville coughed and mumbled about bell peppers. Minerva hummed.

“Yes, well, what I’ve read was a little different,” Hermione said. “They’re just simple things that reinforce to the dog to be gentle and tolerant to children. Like letting a child add food to the dog’s dish, so that if ever a child reaches into the bowl, the dog won’t be on the offensive, because he knows that his food is actually increased when this happens.”

“That’s clever,” Fleur said, exchanging a look with Bill.

“Watch me.” Hermione picked a piece of sausage from a kebab skewer and called Cerberus. “Gently!” Hermione intoned. Cerberus daintily picked the food from her fingers without his mouth touching her.

“Oh, what a good boy!” Arthur scratched Cerb behind the ears and patted his rump.

“It took some time to teach him that,” Ron said proudly. “We just don’t give him the treat if he leaps at it or grabs at it with his mouth. And we yelp and don’t cuddle him for a time. It shows him we don’t approve of grabbing.”

“So it’s safe for a child to give him treats. You have given this a lot of thought, dears.”

“Well, you know I married a witch organized to a fault, Mum.”

Before anyone could say a word of protest or agreement, Ron kissed Hermione.



○0○



“Taught him any tricks yet?” George asked.

“Not yet. And before you get any ideas, we’re not teaching him any until he’s fully house trained,” Hermione said in passing.

“Yeah, teach him not to jump over the garden paling, for instance.”

“Good point.”

“And to wake Ron at six in the morning on the dot.”

“Oi!”

“Call him.”

“Why?”

Fred took a velvety red ball from his pocket.

Ron grinned. “Don’t demonstrate, please. I do make Cerb fetch sometimes.”

“Do you want your dog hating your favourite brothers, huh? What if there’s an emergency and we can’t get to you or Hermione because he’s threatening us with his bad breath? Go on, call him and let us play with him.”

Cerb trotted over at Ron’s call. The puppy stubbornly kept his eyes on his master rather than the man with the ball, though his head did bob in time with the ball’s bounce.

Fred and George exchanged grins. “This dog is a Weasley, alright. Come on, Cerb, look, you like this? You like this?” Fred waved the ball before the dog’s eyes. “What a squishy, squishy ball, see? And it’s squeaky!”

At Fred’s squeeze, the ball did squeak. Cerb’s head snapped to its direction, and his tongue lolled out before his mouth closed in concentration, his eyes blinking at the ball.

“That’s a good boy, now... fetch!”

Fred rolled the ball on the grass of the yard. Cerberus reared back to streak after it, but didn’t. Instead, he turned back to Fred, followed the ball with its eyes until it rested against Neville’s loafer and looked at Fred again.

Ron was laughing. “Oh, Cerb! I’m so proud of you!”

“Are you sure you taught him how to fetch?” George asked indignantly (Fred was speechless). Cerberus looked up at him, head tilted to one side. “What? Why don’t you get it?”

“What’s going on? Why don’t Cerb get what?” Hermione was back on their corner of the yard.

“Fred... He tossed a ball, but Cerb’s not going after it...” Ron said in between hearty sniggers. But at that moment, Cerberus ran to the ball. They watched eagerly. Cerb ignored Luna’s petting and pawed the ball. He poked at it several times before he finally took it between his jaws.

“Merlin,” Fred and George were awed.

“Did you see that, Hermione?” Ron was jubilant. “It looks like Cerberus remembers the sundae.”

“The what?”

Before Ron could answer, Cerberus was back. He eyed Fred and George smugly and then delivered the ball to Ron’s lap.

Ron shared a pleased look with Hermione. “I’ll tell you later.”



Author’s Notes: I always seem to apologize now when updating this! I’m so sorry. October’s been a hectic month, what with my RL writing and stuff and a holiday with my cousins. I thought I’ll get some fanfic writing done, but what I managed to get down were just more plot bunnies and some scenes... Whew!

Anyway, doggie notes: Puppies from pet shops (like Cerb) are usually friendly, but once in a territory (which is what they consider their homes), they become protective of that territory, hence the barking and suspicion against strangers. It’s this trait we found to our advantage in taking dogs as pets
and protectors.

While the dog is still young, make sure he gets used to visits from a variety of people. And encourage the visitors to bring their own pets, even. Show your puppy the visitors are friends, and he will also treat them as such. Make him learn that once a person is invited inside, he should be hospitable to that person.

Dogs that don’t get enough socializing when young become aggressive and unfriendly when older, the kind you have to lock in a cage when there are visitors around.

Cerb jumping Neville here is bad. But we’ll deal with that later on, or maybe not, hehe. Personally, I love dogs that jump at you in greeting. As long as they’re clean (muddy paws ruin clothes, of course!) and not too big to knock me over! ^_^ What about you?
Fifth Caper: Bad dog! by lucilla_pauie
Ron’s Best Friend

Fifth Caper: Bad dog!



The ‘brunch’ wasn’t just a brunch. All who could stay were persuaded to stay. Only Professor McGonagall left at dusk after tea, but not without complimenting her favourite student on her lovely home. Hermione quite glowed like a Veela. While the men took care of the grill and the drinks for dinner, the women toured the house again from stern to stern. They had already done so earlier, but Minerva’s praise made them all eager to reconnoitre. Even Molly learned things from her daughter-in-law, mostly colour complementing and decorating tricks. Hermione humbly said she only learned from her mum, the knack of making a room’s light and dimness a pleasant balance through motifs and mirrors, aside from keeping all seem cosy, tidy and neat, but not too neat, despite Hermione’s reputation. It was there she earned Molly’s praise. A Weasley home wasn’t home without ‘homey clutter’.

“Is that where Cerb sleeps?” Ginny asked as they paused in the master’s bedroom, pointing at the basket at the foot of Hermione’s nightstand. They’d just finished looking in at all the upstairs rooms. “He sleeps here in your room?”

“Yes, well, he always follows me and Ron here at bedtime anyway.” Hermione grinned. While Molly was looking out at the view in the French windows, Hermione added to Ginny, Fleur and Luna sotto voce, “You think Ron would have allowed it if Cerb’s a light sleeper?” And they all giggled.

Molly glanced at them bemused but wisely didn’t prod. “So which one becomes the nursery, Hermione?”

“Oh, well, we haven’t decided yet. What do you think, Mum?”

The older woman beamed. She always did when Hermione (or Harry) called her ‘Mum’. “Well, dear, if you really want my opinion, that room opposite this one is very nice. And it’s nearest from here and from the stairs. It’s best to have the baby’s room as accessible as possible. Noise from the hall isn’t a problem anyway because of charms.”

Hermione nodded. “I don’t know why Ron and I can’t seem to decide. I’ll clear our things from there tomorrow. It’s too small to be used by guests so we tend to keep and throw stuff in there just so it’s used.”

“There’s no hurry, Hermione! You’re not even pregnant yet.”

“It’s best to be prepared, Ginny! And it’s sweet. You tell Harry to prepare a nursery yourselves.”

“Mum!”



○0○



Of course there was no hurry. The ‘tomorrow’ Hermione said remained a ‘tomorrow’ still, even a month later. There had been books to read, Ron, researches to research, Ron, walks to walk, Ron, plants to plant, Ron, and Cerb.

He had grown quite famous in the neighbourhood. Despite Enid, Ron loved going home early and walking his dog, often dragging Hermione with them, dinner baking or burning or no. They seemed to have started a trend even, because not long after these regular walks, they’d seen Mrs Brown walking a new Labrador. And then Mr Ford Kimball the lawyer also emerged one day being towed by a full-grown mastiff.

“Our old dog. Mum’s getting on quite a bit for him and gladly surrendered him to me when I asked... I mean, you three looked so happy together. But I think neither Ben nor I are happy with this tug of war.”

Ron chuckled. He stopped trying to keep up with Mr Kimball. The lawyer, a reedy man, also stopped walking. He promptly almost toppled over.

“It’s too late to teach him, but he can still learn, perhaps,” Hermione panted, catching up with them. “Whenever he tugs, just plant yourself firmly on the ground, Ford. That will teach him that tugging gets him nowhere.”

But Ford Kimball was already being pulled away. He groaned good-naturedly. Hermione laughed as Ron also grabbed on Bill’s leash to help keep him in place. Cerb yipped, seemingly cheering both dog and men.

“Plant yourself firmly on the ground and hold on to a tree or post, I mean.” To herself, Hermione added, “Only Hagrid can handle mastiffs, I suppose.”



○0○



September arrived with chill winds and almost daily showers. The walks became few and far in between, as Hermione didn’t want Ron or Cerberus to get sick from the cold and wet. They stayed snuggled in their little house, often curled up together by the fire in the sitting room, the two ‘boys’ romping as much as they could without knocking things over while Hermione read.

“Ron, you know what tomorrow is, don’t you?”

Ron looked up from burrowing his finger in Cerb’s ear.

“What?” He grinned. “Aside from it being exactly twelve days before your birthday.”

Without taking her eyes away from her book, Hermione lay her back down on his lap. Cerb jumped and then promptly nosed his way into the crook of Hermione’s elbow.

“It’s my first annual autumn visit to Mum and Dad, Ron. I’ll be staying the night and won’t be back until the next evening.”

Ron hid his grimace behind a yawn. It had been arranged since their ‘official’ wedding. Hermione would visit her parents for two days and one night every year during September. For the present, it was an ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ thing for the two of them. In the future when there would be more household members aside from him and a dog, it would be a respite for Hermione and a torture for Ron.

“Is that why you’re so glum? You can skip it, you know, Hermione. Your mum and dad said you’ll go only if you want to.”

She turned over to mumble into his shirt, “They only said that. But if I do skip, there’ll be fallout. Maybe when we have kids I can skip without Mum giving me a cold shoulder up to Christmas, but right now it’s just you and me and Cerb and it’s only two days and one night. You’re with your husband the rest of the year and you’ve also been with him and your friends in the years before this and we never said a word, Hermione!

The last were said in a slightly shrill and whinging voice. The two of them laughed.

“Did Helen really say that?”

“No. But you get my point.”

“We’ll survive, love.”

Hermione looked up at him. “Will you?”

“We’ll just stay out of the house ””

“It’s always raining.”

“We won’t wreck anything, Hermione,” Ron said with mock slight indignation.

Hermione lightly punched his belly. “It’s not that. It’s just ””

“We’ll miss you, too.”

Hermione’s eyes actually watered and she buried her face in his shirt again, hugging his waist. Ron hugged her back but grew alarmed when she began sobbing.



○0○



“Come on, Missus Waterworks, you’ll be back soon.”

Ron exchanged a bewildered look with Cerb, who sat on his rump by the hearth. A fire crackled there, ready for the Floo powder. It was raining again and, though Hermione’s parents didn’t use it themselves, the Floo connection was there for convenience.

Ron and Hermione stood in front of the fireplace that morning, just past ten. Well, Ron was standing; Hermione clung to him, crying onto his chest.

After a deep breath, she let go of him and wiped her eyes angrily. “For goodness’ sake. I don’t know why I’m this cheery. It’s ridiculous.”

Ron chuckled in agreement.

Hermione glared at him and ferociously threw his arm off her. “It’s the first time we’ll be separated since we married. But I see it means nothing to you.”

Without another word, she grabbed a handful of Floo powder from the pot, threw it into the flames and stepped into them, snarling, “Sixteen Doctors’ Street!” like a malediction.

Ron stood there gaping at the fire long after it turned back to non-magical red and orange. Cerb looked up at him, tilting his head to the right, one of his ears raised, as though asking what on earth just occurred. Ron shrugged.

They both jumped a foot into the air when a pop sounded and the fire glowed green again. Hermione’s head sat on the logs.

“I’m sorry, Ron. I was just ””

Still bemused but largely relieved, Ron dropped on his haunches beside the fire. “Don’t worry about it, love. Enjoy your stay with your parents. We’ll behave. And hey, Hermione, you know I’ll miss you terribly. But we have to share you.”

She nodded petulantly. And perhaps that odd glitter in the fire was her eyes watering again. But she went back to her parents’ fire and the connection terminated.



○0○



Fred and George Floo-ed over for lunch, with food packed by their mother. And then they took Ron and Cerb with them back to the shop. Cerb still held a grudge against the twins, but he enjoyed the tide of people at Diagon Alley. He sat there at the foot of the till counter peering out at the glass door, watching the rain and the shoppers. The crowd wasn’t as thick because it wasn’t school season, so he had room, and several admirers. No one came in or out of the shop without stroking his head.

In a bid to win him over, the twins took them to The Leaky Cauldron for dinner, ordering a steak for Cerberus.

“Oy! That’s going too far, you mangy mutt!” Fred said indignantly when Cerb merely turned up his nose at the steak and laid his head at Ron’s boot.

Ron was so tickled he gave half of his braised beef to Cerb.

He wasn’t as tickled when they arrived back in their silent, Hermione-less home. Cerb whined and plopped down in front of the hearth in the sitting room.

“She’s not coming back until tomorrow evening, boy,” Ron said sadly. He picked up the dog with a grunt. Cerb was getting so big. Ron hoisted him to his chest and shoulder and went upstairs.

But for the first time, Cerb wasn’t keen on staying in the master’s bedroom. Thrice Ron followed him back down to the sitting room and took him back upstairs, but the dog really wanted to remain in vigil by the fire.

Ron smiled wanly at him and gave up, stretching out on the couch instead.



○0○



He didn’t know how long he’d slept. A nasty clap of thunder woke him up. And then he heard Cerberus whimpering. Thinking the dog was upset by the storm, Ron lit all the lamps.

Much, much later, he would wish he hadn’t done such a thing.

If he hadn’t, he wouldn’t have seen the digested remains of braised beef on the hall floor, he wouldn’t have discovered the mess until morning, and by then he wouldn’t have been too groggy to forget that his wand must have been stuck in the between the couch cushions. He wouldn’t have cast around wildly for paper. He wouldn’t have gone to the nursery-to-be to get old Daily and Evening Prophets. He wouldn’t have been rendered curious by the little rosewood box on the twin bed. He wouldn’t have seen Hermione’s stash of old letters from Vicky.

Cerberus was still whimpering by the time he got back downstairs.

Ron grinned at the dog manically. Our poor Cerberus whimpered more, cowering by the front hall table.

Still with the hideous grin, Ron turned the dog with his free hand and then spanked him, though gently. “Bad dog, Cerb!” And then he began to talk very fast and feverishly. Cerb backed away to the rear legs of the table.

“But here we’ll take care of your mess it’s not a big deal even I wouldn’t have dared go out to go potty in that storm. And see, though I can’t find my wand we have a solution to our problem.” And he laughed. No, cackled.

And ye gods, he waved Vicky’s old letters in front of his dog and began piling the parchments on top of the miniature poop hills.

And, ye gods, there was another pop from the fireplace, and another glow of green. And another small whimper, this time human and feminine.

Ron froze. Cerb froze. Mutters reached them soon enough. “I’m so pathetic. Next, Ron will think I won’t last when he goes back to the office after the weekend ”

They saw Hermione’s bare legs first. She was wearing her night robe and holding a large brown monkey plushie in one arm.

“Ron? What are you “ oh, Cerb, I missed you boys so much “ ”

Count to ten. In the first five seconds, Hermione looked from Ron to Cerb and back, smiling albeit a little mournfully. Six, she saw the ‘accidents’. Seven, she saw Ron was taking care of it. Eight, she recognised the parchments. Nine, she blinked disbelievingly. Ten, she gasped.

Needless to say, our poor Cerb wanted to melt in with the wainscot.



Author’s Note: Life seems to happen whenever I presumptuously promise updates, so I won’t from now on. Been busy and been happy, that’s all. But I won’t abandon my WIP’s, especially not this one. It’s too dear to me, just as dogs are dear to us. ^_^ Please review! Thank you.
Sixth Caper: In the doghouse! by lucilla_pauie
Ron’s Best Friend

Sixth Caper: In the doghouse!



It must have been, could have been, a trick of the light, but Ron and Cerb would both swear Hermione made like Medusa just then, hair writhing like snakes, even emitting sparks. Cerberus mightily... cowered. Ron stood up... only to shake at the knees.

Neither of the two humans spoke for about a minute. Ron stood still because the poor monkey was being unstuffed before his eyes, one-handed. Hermione seemed unaware her hand was being so vindictive. Ron prayed her wand was still in her childhood bedroom.

“I can clean them up,” Hermione said very quietly. The rain had abated as if nature was also listening in on this house’s impending disaster, so Ron heard his wife.

“I’m sorry, Hermione, I’ll clean them. You haven’t got your wand.”

Silence as Hermione looked at her hands and at the mutilated monkey plushie. She turned red.

Even the roofs and trees paused to drip.

Well, we know and love Ron for blunders such as this. Never mind that his own wand was somewhere in the couch. He was helpless. But to point out the fact that Hermione was likewise ”

“Get out,” she whispered.

“Hermione, I’m so sorry””

“Get of my sight! Get out of my house!” she declared, no longer whispering.

“What?” Now, Ron’s panic was laced with indignation, because it was raining and he was in nothing but pyjama bottoms.

“Yes, the wife always gets the house in divorce. Now. Get. Out.”

“What are you talking about? Now, Hermione, take it easy” You’ve been out of sorts lately. I’m so sorry about””

“Don’t touch me! Get away from me. Now! The last was growled so fiercely Ron abandoned his attempt to get upstairs to dress and shuffled out his own front door.

Back inside the house, Cerb whimpered toward the door, though still sticking to the wall. Hermione silenced him with a “Hush!” and then stomped upstairs, hair still visibly alive. A moment later, Cerb was electrified with a “Come up here this instant, Cerberus!”

And then all was quiet, dog and mistress slept and sulked in their respective beds (respectively), and master tried to settle in the damp cushions of the chaise in the cold patio.



○0○



Ron woke stiff and chilled. For a moment, he was bewildered why he was not in bed. And then he heard Enid Buffwood cooing to her flowerbeds, and thought it prudent to dash back inside before the old biddy did her customary peek into her neighbour’s garden and saw him.

He was relieved when the latch of the French doors yielded at once. He had to get to work, but work could be left off for a cuddle with Hermione. Merlin knew what got into her last night. She’d been beyond scary. He’d have preferred a pummelling.

Cerb yelped, Ron turned to look at him without pausing in his entrance, and stubbed his toe so spectacularly he didn’t even finish invoking Morgana, only Ow.

When his eyes stopped watering, he took notice of the trunk he had bumped into.

His trunk. His wand sat on the lid, over a note saying, “Be gone before I wake up.”



○0○



“When will you learn? How could you?”

“I always take my coffee with three sugars, Ginny. I don’t get fat and I brush my teeth. Don’t badger.”

His sister glowered at him and threateningly levitated the sugar bowl over his head. Ron scowled back. Harry plucked the bowl from the air and put it back on the table.

It was sunny that day. The birds made a racket in Ginny’s garden. The spruce made a lovely shade and let through lovely coins of sunlight to dapple the grass and the flowers in planters grouped around, but it was less pretty than their garden. Ron already wished he was sitting in their porch, not here at the Potters’ breakfast counter, several miles away from Hermione, when at this hour the two of them usually sipped tea from one mug.

“Even your holey socks are in your trunk, mate.”

“Yeah.”

“She really packed you away good.”

“She did.”

Harry clucked.

“What are you going to do about it and when are you planning to do it?” Ginny asked her brother, scowling.

Ron scowled back. “If she wants me away, I’ll stay away. If she cares more for those poopy letters than her husband ””

“Good plan. Well, you can go see if Mum will let you stay at the Burrow because you’re not staying here.”

“Why not?”

Ginny just gave him a look, arms akimbo. Harry ducked to examine his eggs, neck reddening.

“Right, right. Fine.”

“And not just that, I don’t want you getting into the habit of running here when you and Hermione get into a fight. You should fix it between yourselves. You’re married now. Harry and I are also Hermione’s best friends, but you don’t see her here right now, do you?”

Ron ran his hand through his hair. He grudgingly admitted to himself that his sister was right. He’d probably say the same to Harry if their roles were reversed. Hell, he’d have kicked Harry right back to Ginny in a twinkling before Ginny came after him and hexed Ron as well.

“Thanks for the shower.” He stood up and shrunk and pocketed his trunk again. “I won’t go home just yet.”

“Ron, I think it’s best if you go home.”

“Oh, stop channelling Mum, Ginny.”

“Huh. I’m not even close.”



○0○



Ginny was right.

When Ron ducked out of the fireplace into the Burrow’s kitchen, his mother took one look at him and proceeded to knead her dough even more vigorously.

“Shouldn’t you be at work?” she asked.

She said that quietly enough, but it was enough for Ron to calculate if he could manage grabbing a handful of Floo powder again and articulating a destination before she got a hold of him. He knew that quiet tone and that grim face well.

He wondered what his dad had dragged from a Muggle dump this time.

“I’m taking the day off,” he said airily, sitting down so his mum wouldn’t see he was unsteady at the knees. “It’s slow at the office anyway.”

“And you are spending the day with me?

“She’s asleep.”

His mum laughed shrilly, mirthlessly. And the way her hands mauled the bread dough reminded Ron of the poor toy monkey Hermione had separated forever from her collection of childhood friends.

“Ronald Bilius Weasley, you know me better. What have you done?”

He clung to the false assurance that she wouldn’t do anything to him since he was a married adult now and told his story. Unlike Harry and Ginny, who’d only winced at what he’d done and let him rant about his abasement, his mother left the dough before he could finish the confession part; she came around the table and rapped him several good ones on the forehead.

“I raised you better than that, Ron! Or are you still seven years old? I’m ashamed of you! You get back to your house this minute and apologise to your wife, do you hear me? Not that I think she’d forgive you easily, you idiot!”

Rubbing his forehead, Ron was only too glad to leave. He’d have to ask his dad to issue them warnings whenever he left their mum in that mood.



○0○



Cerb lay on his back beside the couch, his paws in the air. Hermione scratched his belly whenever she turned a page. She was stretched out on the sofa, reading. There was a crease on her forehead, but she always looked like that when reading the Ministry law annals.

Was she still angry? Ron mulled it over as he peered into his own house like a burglar under Harry’s cloak. Was she waiting for him to come home at six as usual?

Another half-hour. He could wait. Though he was starting to cramp from holding still. He was afraid Cerb might get a whiff of him if he moved too much, though the French doors were shut tight and there was no breeze to speak of. They day was close and unseasonably muggy, as though it was preparing to storm again right after the last one.

He jumped when their mantel clock chimed the quarter hour. Hermione got up and... grabbed her wand from the side table.

Ron sighed and Apparated back to the Potters.

He had to return the cloak.

And then he had to swallow his pride and dignity and head over to the twins'. They'd torture him, but torture was better than having to stay at The Leaky Cauldron and broadcasting to the world Hermione had kicked him out.

What had gotten into Hermione? It wasn’t like she didn’t know how he still felt about Krum.

Ron knew he’d done a wrong thing, of course. He would apologize, would try to make up. They’d had worse fights than this. He had said and done far worse. But there she was, prepared to hex him if he walked through the door.

If she hadn’t been at her parents’, he would already have pinned the twins to the wall for whatever they’d fed her.
End Notes:
Not long now before this ends. Hee. I write this mainly for me and Jego, but thank you for the reads and reviews, guys!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67625