Catching a Flower by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail
Summary:
In their seventh year at Hogwarts, Lily Evans and James Potter are made Head Girl and Head Boy. Lily is horribly dismayed by this, as she cannot stand James. As the year goes on, however, things begin to change between the two. Can James catch his flower, or is it hopeless for him to try?

“That arrogant…arrogant…ARG! That toerag is Head Boy! HEAD BOY! How did he make HEAD BOY! What is Dumbledore on? I mean, he struts around, pranking, pranking, PRANKING, and then Dumbledore says, ‘Gee, this kid really is an irresponsible bad influence, prankster, and all around jerk. Yes! He’d make a fine Head Boy!’”


Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 46601 Read: 57765 Published: 12/17/04 Updated: 08/31/05

1. Going Back Home by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

2. A Plague of Poor Potions by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

3. Flea Be-Gone, Anyone? by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

4. Operation: Flower for James by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

5. Distracted by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

6. Of Potions, Pranks, and Pain by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

7. Changing Strategies by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

8. Friends by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

9. Strange Indeed by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

10. Wonders of Winter by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

11. A Date? by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

12. Loss by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

13. Always by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

14. Christmas at the McKinnon's by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

15. She Said Yes by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

16. The Breakdowns of Lily Evans by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

17. Prelude to a New Beginning by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Going Back Home by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Hello, and welcome to Catching A Flower (which may or may not be referred to as CAF in the future…pronounced ‘calf’…so I may start calling it ‘cow,’ instead…*ahem*). I’m Fuzzbutt, quite a creative name if I do say so myself- and I do. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this, it’s been a long time coming…well, sort of. And now, some words from my dear co-author, Fantail.

Greetings, I am the one known as Fantail. I am proud to be co-writing this fic with my dear friend Fuzzbutt!

And without further ado, Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail proudly present (no, not your dinner!) ((that was an allusion to Beauty and the Beast, by the way)) (((you know, before Be Our Guest))) ((((ah, never mind)))) (((((ahem, like we said, we proudly present)))))…

Chapter One- Going Back Home

Lily Evans looked toward the scarlet steam engine. ‘The Hogwarts Express,’ it said in shimmering letters. She grinned. Her deep red hair framed her face as her twinkling green eyes took in the sights around her- the busy station, the excited students, the owls, cats, and rats.

She turned at the call of a voice. "Lily!" someone squealed before running at the red-head. The someone stopped in front of Lily, and another someone followed after, at a slower, calmer pace, shaking her head at the eccentricities of her friend.

The first girl smiled widely, her dirty-blonde hair in a ponytail and her brown eyes looking happy and excited. The other girl, brown-haired, and blue-eyed, said cheerfully, “Hello, Lily. Did you have a nice summer?”

Lily smiled and pulled her friends into a group hug. When she pulled back she answered her friend’s question. “A nice summer?” She shrugged. “With Petunia around I’d have to say it barely qualified as bearable.”

"But look on the bright side, Lily dear," said the blonde with a dramatic flourish. "Next summer you won't even have to go back home."

“Too right, Emm,” Lily said to the blonde, Emmeline Vance, (Emm, for short). She smiled grimly. “But I have the feeling I will be, anyway.”

“Marlene!” Called someone from further down the station, putting a stop to the current conversation. The brunette, Marlene McKinnon, turned, grinning when she saw who had called out her name.

“Remus!” she said excitedly. She blushed, though, still shy around Remus even though they had been an item since Valentine’s Day the previous year, when Remus had finally worked up the courage to ask her out. Remus took Marlene’s hand in his.

“Hello, Remmy,” said Emmeline cheerfully as she looked on. Remus rolled his eyes at the nickname, but smiled anyway.

“Emm,” he said, with a nod of his head.

“Remmy! There you are!” cried a voice sounding much like a worried mother. (The girls snorted in laughter, as Remus had rolled his eyes at the name again.) The voice, however, had come from a handsome boy with dark hair that fell elegantly about his face. His name was Sirius Black. “You had me worried sick!” Sirius exclaimed, putting a hand to his heart.

Remus rolled his eyes, but grinned fondly. While he and Sirius caught up with each other‘s summers, Lily turned to Marlene and Emmeline. “Have you got a compartment saved?” she asked.

“Yeah,” said Emmeline, “Right over there. Coming Marlene?” Marlene nodded, and she, Emmeline, and Lily walked to the compartment, which Lily put her trunk in.

“Well, I’m off,” said Lily. Emmeline gave her a questioning glance. “I was made Head Girl,” Lily continued.

“Excellent!” said Emmeline, grinning, and clapping her hands together. “Congratulations. And now I won’t get in trouble so easily! The Head Girl is one of my best friends!”

“Congratulations, Lily. I knew you’d get it,” said Marlene, smiling.

Lily rolled her eyes at Emmeline, but grinned at Marlene’s comment. “Thanks,” she said. “Well, I’d better be going, I have to be on time if I’m to set an example.”

“I’ll save you a seat,” Emmeline said, waving.

Lily walked to the Heads’ compartment, where the meeting was to be held. Remus was already there. “Oh, hello again, Remus,” Lily said, smiling warmly. “You’re Head Boy, I’d assume.”

Remus shook his head. “Actually, I’m afraid not. Just a Prefect.”

“Oh,” Lily replied. “Do you know who is?” Remus seemed about to reply when Lily felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to see a boy with hazel eyes framed by glasses, messy black hair, and a grin on his face that Lily had dubbed the ‘arrogant bastard’ grin. Lily sighed exasperatedly. “What do you want, Potter?”

“Well, I couldn’t help but over hear that conversation you were having with Remus, here, and I just thought I might be able to help you,” the boy, James Potter, replied.

“I don’t think you can,” Lily muttered.

“Well, I know who the Head Boy is.”

Lily raised an eyebrow. “Who is he, Potter?”

James gave her a smile. “Me,” he said, pointing to the Head Boy badge she had previously failed to notice, gleaming on his chest.

Lily felt her jaw drop. Then she shook her head as if shaking off the absurd idea, and glared at James. “James, this isn’t the time nor the place for your little jokes. Who did you steal the badge from?” Lily whirled on Remus before James could reply. “Remus did you give that to him? Why would you give that to him? Are you trying to scare the other Prefects away?”

She said this all very fast, and James had a little trouble figuring out what she was saying, as he watched Remus shaking his head ‘no.’ When James did figure it out, however, he had a hard time not feeling offended. “Wait, a second, Evans. I know it’s surprising, I was wondering if Dumbledore was on drugs, too, but aren’t you going a little over board?”

“No!” Lily yelled. “Overboard would be fainting! Overboard would be ripping out my hair, your hair, or Remus’ hair! Overboard would be-” Lily put a hand to her head. “Oh, my head hurts,” she said, sitting down warily.

“And she thinks I’m going to scare off the other Prefects…” James muttered to himself, quietly. Not quietly enough, though, it seemed.

“I heard that, Potter,” Lily growled.

“Er…” said a timid voice from the door. “Is this the right place? I’m looking for the Heads’ compartment but I don’t think this is it…” A fifth-year girl was standing in the doorway, one that Lily recognized as Beatrice Mackenshire, a shy Hufflepuff that she’d never really spoken with.

Lily and James each opened their mouths to reply, but Remus responded first. “You’ve found the right place,” he said quickly. “The Heads were just…er… discussing the meeting.” Lily blushed at her own previous behaviour and James rolled his eyes.

The other prefects soon began arriving, and when everyone was accounted for the meeting began. Lily took control, discussing the Prefect duties, passwords, and when the next meeting was scheduled for. James just stared into space (and at her), which made Lily want to find a fish, name it Mr. Brain, and whack poor James over the head with.

Thank Merlin Lily’s Head Girl, James thought, watching as Lily explained the duties of a Prefect once again to the Hufflepuff, Betty, or something, (James had never been very good with names). I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. Not to mention I have an excuse to spend time with her. James smiled at the thought. This year I will get her to go out with me! I WILL! Determination filled him.

Suddenly a beautiful, annoyed voice broke into his thoughts. “James! Do you have anything to add?” Lily asked.

“Er…no. I think you covered just about everything,” James responded. Lily sighed exasperatedly and turned back to the other prefects. “Alright, you’re all free to go. Remember to check in with one of us after patrolling, although we won‘t be in this compartment.”

As the Prefects left, Lily turned on James. “Did you pay attention at all?” she hissed.

James blushed guiltily. “Not exactly… I was busy…er, thinking.”

“About what?” Lily demanded.

“About how great a Head Girl you are, of course,” James said with a grin.

“Cut the flattery, Potter, I’m not going to buy it,” Lily said angrily. She muttered something that sounded like “You’d have to be thicker than a mountain troll to have not realized that yet…” She sighed again. “See you around, Potter,” she said as she left the door. “Though no matter when I see you again, it’ll be too soon.”

James sighed and noticed Remus was still in the room, and was looking at him. “Remus,” James addressed.

“James,” Remus replied.

“How bad was it?”

“Seriously Prongs, (Prongs was James’ nickname) you completely blew it.” Remus gave his friend a sympathetic smile. “I think you’ll have to actually work like you said you would to get Lily to fancy you.”

James sighed and ran a hand through his hair in a frustrated manner. “I am trying…”

“If that was trying…I think we’ll need some help,” Remus said, wanting to help his friend.

“Help?”

“Yes, I think I’m going to talk to Marlene, ask her why Lily hates you,” Remus clarified.

“Moony,” James said sincerely, using Remus’ nickname, “You’re a lifesaver.”

----------

Lily stormed down the train. Finally, she found the compartment with Marlene and Emmeline in it. She opened the door, and her mood wasn’t helped by the scene she met.

Emmeline, with her back to the door, obviously hadn’t heard Lily enter. “Oh, James,” Emmeline said in a high-pitched voice, “I love arrogant prats like you!” She lowered her voice considerably. “Well, Lily, of course you do. It’s me, by Merlin, how could you not?” She sighed quite femininely as Marlene made frantic gestures that should‘ve been interpreted as ‘Emmeline, stop, Lily‘s at the door,’ but Emmeline failed to pick up on them. “Yay! My dream come true! My knight in shining armour! My-”

“Your what? You better not be talking about me,” Lily all but growled. Emmeline immediately dropped her ‘acting’ and her eyes widened as she turned to face Lily, an apologetic look on her face.

“Er…Lily, you okay? We were only joking…” Marlene said timidly.

Lily didn‘t seem to be worrying so much about Emmeline‘s dramatics, however, as she was something else. “That arrogant…arrogant…ARG! That toerag is Head Boy! HEAD BOY! How in the bloody hell did he make HEAD BOY! What is Dumbledore on? I mean, he struts around, pranking, pranking, PRANKING, and then Dumbledore says, ‘Gee, this kid really is an irresponsible bad influence, prankster, and all around jerk. Yes! He’d make a fine Head Boy!’”

Emmeline and Marlene, knowing Lily to complain so vehemently about only one person, immediately knew that James Potter had been made Head Boy. They decided it would be safest not to interrupt and to simply allow Lily to continue ranting. They’d had enough experience in Lily’s temper to know not to interrupt her when she was on a rage. That didn’t stop them from wondering, in Emmeline’s thoughts’ words’ “What the hell was Dumbledore on?”

“He didn’t even pay attention! All through the meeting, just sitting, staring, stupidly being stupid and not commenting! He doesn’t even know what a prefect should do, let alone Head Boy! How will I survive?! I’ll be carrying all the weight! All of it! He’s a bloody nuisance! WHY ME?!”

Lily went on like this for several minutes until finally sitting down. Marlene and Emmeline glanced at each other and came to a silent decision- Lily needed cheering up.

“Lily,” Emmeline said suddenly, interrupting her mid-rant. “Let’s throw you a party.”

Lily looked up startled at the topic change. “For what, luck at surviving the year with Potter as Head Boy?”

“No,” Marlene said, “No, for making Head Girl, and for being a fantastic friend. And for our last year at Hogwarts.”

Lily, though startled by the fact that Marlene was willing to have a party at all, especially on a school night, grinned. “Alright. To Seventh Year, then!”

----------

James sullenly wandered with Remus, both looking for the compartment with Sirius in it. It didn't take long for the two to find him, unfortunately for Remus. Though used to finding his friend snogging some random bimbo, it was still a bit disturbing.

James pounded on the door, trying to get Sirius’ attention. No response. James opened the door. "Sirius," he said. No response. James kicked Sirius in the shin.

"Bloody hell!" Sirius looked up at who had kicked him. Before he could say anything else, James hauled him up and out of that compartment. The girl was too dazed to notice. “James, what the hell?”

"Did you even know her name?" James demanded distractedly, as they walked on to find a different compartment.

"Er...was I supposed to?" Sirius shook his head. “What’s the deal, anyway? I’ve snogged plenty of other nameless girls, you didn’t care. I liked that one,” he said wistfully.

“Don’t you even want to know who the Head Girl is?” James asked. Remus chuckled slightly, although James didn’t notice.

"No, Prongs, not really, I want to go back and snog-" Sirius said, cutting off when James glared at him. "But since I can tell you want to tell me, who's head girl?"

James suddenly sighed and grinned. “Evans,” he said dreamily.

“Mate, that’s disgusting,” Sirius said, referring to his tone.

"No," James said, "She's beautiful."

Sirius rolled his eyes. Remus laughed. "You should be used to this, Padfoot. He's only been going on about Lily since fourth year."

"Yeah, but it's gotten worse. He sighed dreamily!"

Remus chuckled again as James sputtered indignantly. "I did NOT sigh dreamily!"

“Yes you did!" Sirius said.

"Did not!"

The two continued, not noticing a compartment door nearby open. "Didn't what?" asked the person in the doorway. It was Marlene, looking for Remus.

"He sighed dreamily, Marlene," Sirius said, fluttering his eyelashes.

“Thinking about Lil, eh, Potter?” she asked? Before he could mutter an indignant (again) reply, she continued. “Anyway, you boys want to join us?”

A disgusted noise came from the interior of the apartment as a voice whined, "Marlene!"

“Lily, he’s not going to give you rabies,” Marlene said, rolling her eyes.

“You don’t know that…” Lily muttered.

"Maybe I should just go...we haven't found Peter, after all," James said, referring to the fourth of the infamous 'Marauders' to which James, Sirius, and Remus belonged. Peter Pettigrew was a rat like boy, and had the nickname Wormtail.

"Don't be silly," Emmeline said, suddenly appearing next to Marlene. Grinning mischievously, she pulled him into the compartment before Lily said something.

Sirius and Remus came into the compartment, James sitting opposite Lily, rather than next to her. He avoided looking at her- she was already upset enough at him. Emmeline sat next to Lily, so Remus and Marlene sat on the side James was on, Sirius left to sit next to Emmeline.

Marlene and Remus were soon smiling shyly at each other, holding hands, and generally being cute. Sirius made a gagging sound, which went unnoticed by the couple.

Emmeline scoffed. “It’s not like you don’t snog every little tart with two legs and two lips that walks by,” she said.

“Haven’t snogged you yet, though, have I?” Sirius asked with a wink.

Emmeline rolled her eyes, although a faint blush was evident on her cheeks. She started to list every girl she’d known Sirius to snog, counting them off on her fingers to keep tally.

James chuckled, and heard Lily chuckling a bit, as well. She has such a beautiful laugh. He looked up, and caught her eye before quickly glancing away. He blushed and cleared his throat.

“Sara Mae Beehull, she’s number 38-” Emmeline continued, but Sirius cut her off.

“Bloody hell, are you stalking me?” he demanded. James, Lily, Marlene, and Remus burst out in laughter.

Emmeline blushed and didn’t answer. "You are, aren't you?" Sirius demanded.

"Of course not!” Emmeline said, regaining her composure. “Anyway, it's not like you hide your snogging, and we are in the same house!"

"Yes," Marlene agreed, still laughing, "But I'd only known of 15 of the girls you listed."

The six chatted away the hours, and amazingly, Lily even got along with James. (Which James, of course, was thrilled about.) All too soon, they were nearing Hogwarts, and all changed into their robes.

When they reached the school, they all climbed into the same thestral-pulled carriage. Lily watched as they reached the school, grinning in excitement. She was Head Girl, this was going to be a fantastic year.

----------

The feast and party the girls had passed in a blur. When Lily finally crawled into bed, she had quite a lot on her mind.

She thought to the train ride. Remus and Marlene looked so cute together. And Emmeline definitely fancies Sirius. I'll have to bug her about it some time. And then there was James...

Other than the meeting, he was actually being quite civil. I don't think he even asked me out. Why was he avoiding meeting my eyes, though? Or am I just paranoid? Maybe he's finally over me... No, don't push your luck, Evans.

Do I want him to be over me? What? Where had that thought come from? Of course she wanted him to be over her. He was a good for nothing prat. She looked at it logically. Everyone wants someone to fancy them...even if they are a prat, so, I'd feel upset if I didn't think anyone fancied me. That's it.

She sighed. At least I’m back home.

----------

James finally got into his bed and pulled the hangings closed. He sighed. I knew that Lily would end up being Head Girl. She's the only one for the job. I only wish that she didn't hate me...and I don't even know why! Although...she did talk to me on the train...maybe she doesn't hate me quite as much as she lets on...or maybe I'm just getting my hopes up.

He sighed. At least I’m back home.

----------

Authors’ Notes: Tada! The first chapter! You know, it was really hard just not killing Peter off right in this chapter... But we decided that that is for later. For this is, by the way, an AU. The Potters will live! If we get all three of the planned stories done…ever…

Anyway, we’d be extremely happy if you: REVIEWED! Thanks! :D

Fuzzbutt: sw00t! CHAPTER ONE COMPLETE!
Fantail: YIPPEE!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF US!!!!

Review!

Oh, and by the by, we’re not sure how soon the next chapter will be ready to put up. However, Christmas break starts on Saturday, so we’ll have more time to write.

Again, review!

A Plague of Poor Potions by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Those of you reading this- you've made it to chapter two! (So have we, apparently.) Here we go now, y'all.

Chapter Two: A Plague of Poor Potions

"Mum, five more minutes," James grumbled as a hand shook him awake.

A voice that was most definitely not James' mum replied, "No dear! You get up this instant! It's your turn to degnome the garden!"

"Muuuum," James whined, not catching the voice difference, "I did it yesterday!"

"You did not James Philoctetes Potter! Don't give me those lies, I can see right past them."

"Sirius," Remus chuckled, "cut it out. He really thinks you're his mum."

What’s Remus doing at my…oh yeah, we’re at Hogwarts… “My middle name isn’t Philoctetes, you know,” James mumbled.

“What is it then?” Sirius asked.

“Elias,” he said, not bothering to be embarrassed about it. It was too early.

Remus and Sirius burst into laughter. “Elias?” Sirius cried. “Oh that’s priceless! That’s why your mum calls you Jamesie Ellie!”

Remus laughed harder at this. James’ decision to not bother being embarrassed was gone and he turned red. “Well Sirius’ middle name is Mordicus!”

“Prongs!” Sirius spluttered, “you said you wouldn’t tell!”

“Don’t care,” muttered James as Remus cracked up again, and James joined him.

“Guys,” whined a voice from the other bed- Peter's voice, “can you quiet down? I'm tired.”

With this Sirius got a mischievous glint in his eye. "Uh oh," muttered James, voicing Remus' thoughts.

Sirius levitated the pitcher of cold water on Peter's bedside over the unknowing Peter's head. With a flick of his wrist, the whole of it's contents were poured out and Peter was sitting straight up, his pajamas soaked.

“What was that for?!” Peter gasped.

“It was a wake up message,” Sirius said casually. “If we don’t get down to the Great hall in ten minutes, we won’t have time to eat.

Peter’s eyes lit up at the mere mention of food, and so, in ten minutes, the Marauders were ready to go. Their roommate, Frank Longbottom, had already gone down.

As they entered the Great Hall, James did something that none of his friends, nor Lily and her friends, had expected- he steered clear of Lily. He did, however, make sure he had a good view out of her out of the corner of his eye. He noticed she looked about as tired as he felt. And he felt quite tired.

Further down the table, Lily was pondering things as well. James is avoiding me… “He’s avoiding me.”

“Who is?” asked Emmeline. She and Marlene had no idea who Lily was referring to.

“How do you know whoever it is is avoiding you. We’ve only been here a day, Lil,” Marlene pointed out.

“Potter,” Lily said, “he wouldn’t even meet my eyes yesterday, and now he isn’t sitting over here.” She grinned. “He isn’t sitting over here! Oh! He’s finally gotten over me!”

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” Emmeline warned. “I mean, he’s liked you for years. Nobody gets over someone they’ve liked for years over a summer.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Lily said, “but a girl can dream, can’t she?” Lily pondered this dream, but was reminded of her thoughts from the previous night. She did want James to stop liking her, right?

“Timetables,” said the voice of the Transfiguration Professor, Professor McGonagall, as she passed out the students' class schedules, and interrupting Lily’s thoughts.

Lily took her timetable. “Urg,” said Emmeline next to her. “Double NEWT Potions first.” Lily groaned. Perfect way to start a week, that.

“And we have it with the Slytherins,” Marlene pointed out. Even better, Lily thought.

All too soon, the bell rang for the start of the day. Lily, Malene, and Emmeline trudged down to the Potions dungeon, where their Professor- Professor Walker, a woman with a strange cat obsession (she once quizzed the students on the names of her cats) and the head of Slytherin house- was already waiting. Entering the classroom, Lily, Marlene, and Emmeline took their usual seats on the Gryffindor side of the naturally segregated class room.

Once every student was in attendance, Professor Walker gazed at her students, her thin hair lying unkept about her face. “Students!” she said, “today, we will be working on the Flea Be-gone Potion! You will be working individually. I expect it to be done at the end of this class.”

Lily held back a smirk as Emmeline muttered under her breath, “Again? We made three of the Flea Be-gone Potions last year…how the hell do her cats keep getting fleas?” Marlene shushed her, but was biting back a grin herself, as she tried to listen to the rest of the instructions.

James, Sirius, and Remus were at the table behind the girls. (Peter hadn't made NEWT potions.) Sirius heard Emmeline and snorted slightly.

James, however, was preoccupied with the red-head in front of him. As he stirred his potion (only to be stirred 35 times!), he took in the way her hair caught the light, the way she chatted with her friends as she stirred her cauldron. He wondered how she managed to stir, count her stirs, and chat at the same time. He couldn't even do it now- Wait...what number stir was he on?

Suddenly there was a slight explosion. "You stirred 36 times, Mr. Potter. See me after class, for not following instructions. Ten points from Gryffindor."

Lily turned to glare at James. He's already losing us points. It's only the first day back! And he’s Head Boy! He’s supposed to set an example!

James didn't even care that he got in trouble. When Lily looked back and glared at him, however, he felt ashamed, and blushed. "'Mazing how a look can conquer a fool in love, isn't it, Moony?" Sirius said with a snicker. Remus chuckled.

“I’m not in love, Padfoot,” James hissed in reply, “and I’m not a fool.”

“Whatever you say, Prongs, whatever you say.”

-----

The rest of the class proved fairly uneventful. When the bell rang, James walked over to the Professor's desk. “Ms. Evans, if you could stay back for a few minutes as well.” Lily, perplexed, nodded to her friends to go to lunch, and walked to the teacher’s desk, but stayed a bit back so as not to appear that she was eavesdropping.

"Potter," said Professor Walker, "it has come to my attention that you will need tutoring. Although this is a NEWT class and I could just throw you out, your error was minor, and I'm afraid that isn't enough for me to kick you out. I do wish it was, but it's not."

“Wait, a tutor?" James asked. For what? So he stirred one time too many. What was the big deal?

"Yes, Mr. Potter, a tutor. And I know just the right person for the job- Ms. Evans.”

“What? Me?” Lily spluttered. “You can’t be serious!”

“Oh, I’m quite serious, Ms. Evans. Other than Severus, you’re the best student I’ve got, amazingly. And because I don’t feel that Mr. Snape is up to the sort of torture involved in tutoring someone so inept at Potions as Mr. Potter, you’re it, Ms. Evans, you’re it.”

“But, Professor,” said James, “I'm sure you can find someone else. What about Remus? He can tutor me.” As happy as James was at having Lily as his tutor, he really didn't want her angry at him. The reason he needed tutoring in the first place was because he'd be watching her. She'd blow a fuse if she knew that.

“Mr. Potter, Ms. Evans is tutoring you and that's final. Ms. Evans, you are tutoring Mr. Potter, and that is final!” snapped Professor Walker. “And I’ll leave it to you to arrange a schedule. However, if I see no improvement in Mr. Potter’s marks within the next few weeks, there will be consequences, and you shall not like them!”

“Yes Professor,” they chorused unhappily.

Lily couldn't believe her luck- or lack thereof. She had to tutor James bloody Potter! As soon as the dungeon door shut behind them, Lily turned on James. "This is all your fault, Potter! Never do you pay attention! How is it that you managed to screw up a potion we've done three times before? Hmm?"

“Oh, c'mon, Evans,” James said exasperatedly, “give it up already. I don't want to be tutored any more than you want to tutor me. And I can't help it that she chose you to tutor me."

As Lily was about to retort, a slimy voice interrupted her. “Well, well, well,” it said, “if it isn't Potter and his mudblood girlfriend, taking a nice walk through the cheeriest part of the school.”

Lily spun around to see who she had to turn her fury on for calling her Potter's girlfriend. “Bellatrix,” she spat angrily, “how nice of you to acknowledge the presence of your betters.” (Bellatrix was a seventh year Slytherin, cousin to Sirius, and all around pain in the arse.)

James was glad to see the wrath of Lily on someone other than himself, but he wouldn’t let her do it alone. “Emphasis on the ‘better’ part,” he added.

“Oh, shut up, Potter,” Severus Snape said, his greasy hair framing his face. (He was a favourite of Professor Walker's, and the slimiest Slytherin one could ever find.) “Chances are, Evans wasn’t even referring to you as one of the betters.”

“For once you’re right, Snivelly,” Lily growled menacingly. “But I’d rather deal with him than you lot, all the same.”

“Aw, thanks Evans,” James said, grinning despite the predicament.

“Shut up, Potter,” Lily growled at him. Lily was doing a lot of growling.

“Ah, is it nice having a Mudblood order you around, Potter?” asked the third Slytherin, Rodolphus Lestrange.

“Don't you call her that!” James yelled menacingly. “You aren't even good enough to walk the same ground as she does!”

Stupefy,” Lestrange said lazily.

James, however, was ready. “Protego!” he shouted, and the spell bounced back at Lestrange, who ducked just in time, the spell missing him.

“James Potter!” Lily said, glaring at him with all her might. “As Head Boy, I'd expect you NOT to participate in duels in the hallways! Ten points from Gryffindor, and fifty from Slytherin for initiating a fight. And I'll see to it that Professor Walker issues the proper punishments for you lot!”

“A very wise decision, Ms. Evans,” said Professor McGonagall, who had witnessed the fight. “Mr. Lestrange, Ms. Black, and Mr. Snape, see your Head of House immediately! Mr. Potter and Ms. Evans, you are dismissed to lunch.” With that, Professor McGonagall walked the Slytherins to Professor Walker's office, not trusting them to do it on their own.

With McGonagall out of earshot, Lily turned to James. If looks could kill, James would’ve been dead before he hit the floor. James gulped. “James Elias Potter,” Lily said, her voice deadly calm, “if you ever feel the need to pull heroics and defend me like that again, you'll be on the recieving end of a bat-bogey hex powerful enough to knock you over. I can defend myself. Do you understand?”

James nodded, eyes wide. He was surprised he wasn't already on the recieving end of a bat-bogey hex. She turned on her heel and walked angrily to the Great Hall, James being certain to stay back enough to not bother her. As he entered the Great Hall, he realized something. How does she know my middle name?

----------

“Uh oh,” Emmeline muttered as Lily entered the Great Hall, looking angry enough to hex someone into oblivion. She and Marlene braced themselves for the furious Lily.

Marlene timidly asked, "Lily? Is something wrong?" knowing that it was better to get her anger out early than to let her brood on it, after which she was more likely to destroy something.

“Is something wrong? Is something wrong? Walker wants me to tutor Potter! On top of that, every time I get called a mudblood he finds it necessary to protect me or some other rubbish like that! But no, nothing's wrong!” Lily let out a frustrated sound.

Emmeline and Marlene exchanged glances. This was not good. “Lily,” Emmeline started, “if you want one of us can tutor the idiot for you…”

“No, you can’t. It has to be me. Professor Walker said so. Potter even tried to switch it to Remus tutoring him, but Walker’ll have none of it. Plus, as your friend, I refuse to subject you two to that sort of torture,” Lily said.

Emmeline shrugged, thinking that she'd rather deal with an arrogant Potter than a furious Lily.

Throughout the remainder of lunch, Lily sat, fuming in silence. Neither Emmeline nor Marlene knew quite what to say, and from experience, knew it was better not to say anything, anyway. The bell rang and classes resumed, which went much better than Potions, to say the least.

----------

After dinner, Lily realized that, unfortunately, she had to schedule a tutoring session with James.

She walked over to him. “Potter,” she said, “can I talk to you for a moment?” Sirius, who was sitting nearby, suggestively wiggled his eyebrows. Lily glared at him with her 'Head Girl Glare of Doom.'

“Don’t know what he sees in her,” Sirius muttered under his breath, earning a glare from James, this time.

Lily and James walked to a secluded area of the common room, and as soon as they were out of earshot, Lily looked at James. “We have to schedule a tutoring session,” she said.

“Yes, we do,” he agreed.

“Well?” she asked.

“Er…well, what?”

“When are you free?” Lily said exasperatedly.

“Erm…Wednesday,” James said, after a moment of thinking about it.

“Wednesday it is, then. Meet me in the potions dungeon at seven in the evening, sharp. If you aren’t there, I’m not waiting for you.”

“Wouldn't miss it,” James said with a cocky grin. As Lily rolled her eyes and walked away, James mentally kicked himself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why do I always have to ruin things?

“She hates me,” James muttered sadly as soon as he went back to the Marauders.

“What'd you do?” asked Remus.

James told what had happened, and Sirius laughed at him. “You're really good at ruining things, you know that?”

“Thanks, Sirius,” James muttered. “You always know just what to say.”

“It’s why you love me,” Sirius replied.

Remus coughed at this statement, and Sirius turned to look at Remus. “What?” Remus asked innocently, “I had to cough.”

----------

Later that night, Lily lay, thinking, as was her habit. This has got to have been one of the worst first days of classes I've ever had. Damn that Potter. Why does he always have to ruin things for me? He's Head Boy, I have to tutor him, he's an arrogant bastard... What could I possibly have done to deserve this?

At least he hasn't asked me out yet...maybe I should cut him some slack, for that... Maybe…

-----

James was also lying awake, thinking. How is it that whatever I do, I still manage to ruin things between Lily and me? Why? Why do I have to do such stupid things? Why does she hate me? Why, why, why? Why can’t I just act like myself around her, and not like an arrogant jerk? Why is it that she is the only one who makes me act like such an idiot? Why?

In his frustration, James pounded his fists on his bed. "I didn't do it," Sirius muttered in his sleep. James rolled his eyes. Sirius had it easy. He could go around snogging any girl, he wasn't tied down by fancying someone.

And then there was Remus, who also had it easy, as the girl he fancied, Marlene, fancied him back, and they were going out.

Even Peter had it easier than James! James didn’t even think that Peter liked girls yet. Which was fairly sad, James thought, seeing as how Peter was a seventeen year old guy just like the rest of them.

James rolled over onto his side. But since when did he choose things that were easy?

----------

Authors’ Notes: We hope you liked chapter two. Please review!

Flea Be-Gone, Anyone? by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Welcome to chapter three! ;) Thanks to all of you who have reviewed previous chapters, it means a lot!

Chapter Three: Flea Be-Gone, Anyone?

Wednesday morning came (all too quickly, if you asked Lily, and all too slowly, if you asked James), and to Lily's dismay, when Lily told Professor Walker of their planned tutoring session, Professor Walker said to go ahead with out her, that she had ‘other matters to attend to,’ and expected her classroom to be exactly as she had left it when she got back.

Sitting in Transfiguration, his best subject, and therefore one he could afford to not pay attention in for once, James thought of Lily and what was planned for the evening. He'd be there at seven. He was rather excited at the prospect of getting to spend time with Lily, even if it was just tutoring.

At the same time, however, he worried about how Lily would blame him. She hated him already, and he knew that Lily was already upset at him about his needing tutored, and so he was apprehensive about how she would treat him. (It couldn't be any worse than usual, though, could it?)

But this was also a chance for him to show her that he wasn't an arrogant, bullying toe-rag. And he was determined to show her as much.

-----

When seven-o-clock came around, a flustered looking Lily Evans entered the Potions classroom. James, surprisingly, was already there.

Lily, although in shock, still managed a, “Wow, Potter, you’re actually on time for something.”

James, before he could stop himself, said, "Anything for you, flower." Stupid, stupid, stupid, he thought as Lily glared at him.

Lily cleared her throat. "Look, Potter. I really don't want to be here. The faster you act like you want to learn something, the faster we can get this over with."

"There's not a lot for me to learn. I know what I'm doing. I was just distracted. I mean, it was one stir too many, that’s all," James said.

"Whatever you were distracted by can go throw itself into a window, because it's really ruined my day," Lily said.

"Ah, but surely you don't want to throw yourself into a window," James said, not knowing he was speaking aloud. Shoot, was about all he was thinking when she turned and narrowed her eyes and looked at him as if she wanted him to drop dead at that very moment.

"Potter, why can't you give your silly infatuation a rest? The only reason you think you fancy me is because I'm the girl you can't get. I already know this, so will you please just let it go?" Her voice was dangerously low.

"That's not true," James said forcefully. "I fancy you because you're beautiful, you're intelligent, you speak your mind, and you're everything the rest of the girls in this school aren't."

"I already told you I don't go for flattery," Lily said, although, despite outward appearances and her words, she was flattered.

"It isn't flattery, it's the truth," James said softly.

Lily cleared her throat. "Let's just get this started. I thought we'd just do the Flea Be-Gone Potion tonight to figure out where, if anywhere, you're having trouble, and move onto something more complex next time."

James simply nodded, not trusting himself to say anything anywhere near intelligent.

Lily took out the ingredients and placed them on the desk. She had the instructions (she had taken notes the previous year) laid out as well. "Just make it, Potter," she said, sitting down on the desk nearby to watch, and, if needed, make sure he didn't blow up the classroom.

A few minutes of silence and potion-making later, James found that the silence was deafening. "I think it's pretty sad that we're making a flea potion for Walker's cats, don't you?” he said, not being able to stand the quiet any longer. “I mean, she is the potions mistress, you'd think she could do it herself..." Well, that was stupid, but not as stupid as it could've been, right?

Lily rolled her eyes. "Emmeline would agree with you."

"What about you? Do you agree?" James asked curiously.

Lily shrugged. "Count out loud," she said.

"What?" James said, confused at what that had to do with agreeing with him.

"It's time for you to stir the potion,” Lily clarified. “I want you to count out loud, to avoid distraction."

James pouted. "Do I have to?"

"Yes. Now shut up and get to it,” Lily said, frustration creeping into her voice.

And so, although he wondered how he could shut up and count out loud at the same time, James began counting out loud, feeling like quite the idiot. He could feel his face heat up, and avoided looking over at Lily, who was barely holding back a smirk.

James finished the potion perfectly. Lily rolled her eyes. "See, look, you did it, for once. I wish you'd stop wasting my time."

James looked at her sadly. "I didn't choose this... Lily, will you ever give me a chance?"

Lily's face was expressionless as she replied, "Give you a chance? No. But if you were someone who wasn't so arrogant, who didn't strut about hexing anyone who got in your way, who didn't fawn over me, and who had some regard for rules, then maybe, maybe I would."

Lily cleared her throat. "But nothing to worry about, because I don't see that happening, and I've got top marks in Divination."

With that, Lily left the room, also leaving James. James ran his hand through his hair. "Bugger."

----------

Lily stormed her way through the halls on her way to the common room. How was it that Potter was able to get under her skin and make her say something like that? She had told him what she wanted him to change, and then said if he did she'd give him a chance! What was wrong with her? Damn it, Potter. Look what you've made me do.

When Lily finally reached her dormitory, she was surprised to find all it's occupants (Emmeline, Marlene, a very sweet girl called Alice Kirgenser, and Alice's friend, Dorcas Meadowes) sitting about, seemingly waiting for her return.

"Erm..." Lily said as they all looked at her.

"Well," said Emmeline expectantly, "how did it go?"

"How did what go?" Lily asked, playing dumb.

"The tutoring, you nitwit," Emmeline said, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, that," Lily said.

"Well what else would it be?"

"Erm...classes?"

"Ah! Lily, how did tutoring James go?" Marlene asked, exasperated with Emmelines failed attempts to start the conversation properly.

"Terrible," Lily said, flopping unceremoniously onto her four-poster.

Alice looked at Lily sympathetically. "What happened?" she asked, while Dorcas said, "Oh, come on, Lil, it couldn't have been that bad."

"It was that bad, though," Lily said. "He did his potion perfectly. And then he asked me if I'd ever give him a chance and I said I wouldn't give him a chance, but if he wasn't so arrogant, and would quit asking me out, and would stop hexing people for the heck of it that I might, and I think I shouldn't have said that because now he probably thinks he's got a chance," Lily rambled.

The other girls exchanged glances "Does he have a chance?" asked Alice.

"Of course not!" Lily answered, a bit too quickly. "I don't fancy him in any way. I can't stand him! No chance for James, nope, no chance for James." She shook her head to emphasize her point.

Emmeline glanced at Marlene, a knowing look on her face. "Lily, why did you just call him James?" Marlene asked.

"I didn't call him James. I never call him James"

"You called him James," Emmeline said, smirking despite trying to hold it back. "You called him James," she said again, in a sing-song voice. "Does Lily fancy Jaaaames?"

Lily blushed. Do I? "Of course not! He's an arrogant-"

"Bullying toe-rag," Emmeline cut her off. "We know. But do you fancy him any way?"

"No," Lily said, more determinedly. "But since we're on the subject of fancying, do you fancy Sirius, Emmeline?" Lily asked in revenge.

Marlene, Alice, and Dorcas looked up in interest as Emmeline blushed crimson. She recovered quickly, however. "No," she said. "But this isn't about anyone fancying anyone, Lily, this is about you fancying James."

"I do not fancy James," Lily said forcefully. "I'm just a little more willing to try and not be enemies, as we're both Heads this year, and I refuse to do everything on my own."

The girls looked at Lily skeptically. She rolled her eyes. “I’m going to bed,” she said, shutting the hangings around her bed and lying back.

As Lily lay, she stared angrily at the ceiling. Why wouldn't her friends just let it be? She didn't fancy James. She was just considering being almost-friends with him.

Was that really such a big deal? Lily hadn't made a big deal when Marlene pined after Remus the previous year, and hadn't made a big deal with Emmeline fancying (or so she suspected) Sirius. Well, she hadn't made that big of a deal, anyway... And Lily didn't even fancy James!

She rolled over grumpily. So much for a fantastic seventh year.

----------

James took much longer to get to the dormitory. What Lily had said about him really made him think. Did she really mean that she'd give him a chance if he'd change? He didn’t want to change, though. Of course, there were the small things he could do: She wanted him to quit asking her out. Well, he could do that. And he could stop hexing people, well, all but Snape, of course. And he could try to lay off the arrogance, but he wasn't sure if that was possible.

And maybe...maybe if I'm her friend, rather than trying to be something more...maybe then she'll see I’m not as bad as she thinks!

James sighed. Who are you kidding, Potter? She hates you. She'll always hate you. She was only saying those things so you'd leave her alone and be a bit more bearable.

When he reached the common room, he flopped unceremoniously onto the couch next to Sirius. (Sirius, Remus, Peter, and another boy in their year, Frank Longbottom, were all chatting about something or another.)

"I was wondering when you'd get here, mate," Sirius said. "Your dearest Lily got here a good ten minutes ago."

James mumbled something incoherent.

"I take it the tutoring didn't go well then, eh?" Remus said.

“Ah, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad, James,” Frank said.

"It was awful," James said. "I did my potion perfectly, so she hates me even more because I'm wasting her time. She made me count the stirs out loud. And then she told me why she won't give me a chance. She'll never give me a chance. It's hopeless," James finished, letting his head fall back onto the couch.

"Nothing's hopeless, Prongsie," Sirius said cheerfully, "we're the Marauders."

"Maybe you should just give up, Prongs," Peter said unhelpfully.

James sat up and stared at Peter incredulously. "Give up?" he asked. "I can't give up! She's...she's Lily Evans! I can't give up, Peter." Sirius, Remus, and even Frank were staring at Peter incredulously as well.

Peter grinned sheepishly. “Just…just letting you know your options.”

"I know what would cheer you up, Prongsie," Sirius said, choosing not to comment on Peter’s stupidity as Frank excused himself for sleep, “a good old fashioned prank! We've yet to pull one this year, you know."

James looked to Sirius. "I know...but.… But I really want to go out with Lily and she hates pranks!"

Sirius' eyes widened. "You're going to let a little crush rule your life?"

"I think it's a bit more than a crush if it's been going on since fourth year, Sirius," Remus stated.

"Little crush or big obsession," Sirius said businesslike, "We cannot let Prongs quit pranking."

“Agreed,” chorused Remus and Peter.

James sighed. "Alright," he agreed reluctantly. "But we better not make it full blown. And no injuries. And it has to be aimed at more than Snape, otherwise Lily will be angry."

Sirius looked at James sadly. "You've got it bad, Prongs."

"Got what bad?" he asked, clueless.

"You'll figure it out eventually," Remus answered before Sirius could. "But as for now, we need to get planning."

"So we'll aim it at the Slytherins?" Sirius asked.

"Erm...well, Lily would get ups-"

"Oh, shut up, Prongs. So, we aim it at the Slytherins?" Sirius asked again.

"You know, James has got a point. And he is Head Boy-"

"Moony! Not you, too! You're all turning against me! Well, at least you're still with me, right Pete?"

"I have to use the loo," Peter said, standing up and leaving.

Sirius pouted. "Fine! Be that way!" he yelled at Peter's retreating figure.

After a few moments of silence, Sirius broke it. "Alright. So we aim it toward the whole school?"

"You know, I'm exhausted," Remus said. "I think I'll head to bed. We'll plan tomorrow."

"Bunch of lazy pansies," Sirius muttered.

"I'm sort of tired, too, Padfoot," James said. "I, er, well I think I'll be going."

When Sirius was the only one left in the common room, he glared up at the girls' dormitories. "Damn you, Lily Evans!” he yelled.

Lily sat up and looked around curiously. "Did you hear that?" Lily asked.

Alice giggled and nodded. Dorcas was still asleep. "Was that Sirius?" Emmeline asked.

"Funny how she asks about Sirius," Marlene muttered.

Emmeline blushed again.

"But you heard it, too?" Lily asked.

"Yeah," Marlene said.

"Wonder what it was about..."

"Oh, who cares. They're a loony bunch, those Marauders," Marlene said sleepily.

"'Cept Remus, right, Marlene?"

Marlene pretended not to hear her.

Soon the dormitory was filled with the even-breathing sounds of sleep, and the snoring of Dorcas.

"Crazy kid," Lily muttered as she fell asleep.

Author’s Notes:
Fuzz and Fan do now thank you,
For reading their fic through chapter three,
Now if you’d please leave a review,
We’ll probably say words like ‘squee!’

Review!

Operation: Flower for James by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Ah, here we are with chapter four. Quite a nice chapter, I’m sure it shall be… Enjoy!

Chapter Four: Operation: Flower for Prongs

James and Lily walked through the halls, a tense silence between them. It was after curfew, and they were doing their rounds, a duty appointed to the Heads and pairs of prefects on alternating nights.

In the few days since their first tutoring session, James had spent a lot of time pondering Lily’s words. He had decided that he could change little things. He'd stop ruffling his hair (he knew she hated that), he'd stop flashing her his arrogant bastard grin, he'd stop asking her out (he'd already refrained from that thus far in the year). Besides this, however, he didn't know what to fix. So he decided to do an experiment, and see if not acting so arrogant would get a good reaction from Lily.

"So, Lily," James said, trying his best to be more like a friend than a guy who wanted to go out with her, "how are you, lately?"

"Fine," she replied coldly, not looking at him.

Well this is starting out well, James thought sarcastically. "Do you like your classes?" he asked, trying again.

"They're fine," Lily answered, still coldly. What is Potter playing at? She hated being around him. Especially for rounds. Small talk and flattery were his only strong points, and it was rather aggravating after a while.

"Oh," he said, seeming disappointed at her reaction. But he had to keep trying. He was a Marauder, a Gryffindor, and a Potter! He couldn't give up! "So... So how are things with your family?"

"My parents are fine, and my sister hates me," Lily answered shortly.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! Wonderful choice of question, Potter, James chided himself. At least she's talking to me... "You're too great for someone to hate you. Your sister must be an idiot."

Lily scowled, and decided not to talk to him.

Damn it. So much for that.

----------

Sirius, Remus, Frank, and Peter lounged in front of the fire, Marlene, Emmeline, Dorcas, and Alice not far. Sirius, who was lying with his head hanging off the bottom of the couch and his feet over the top, suddenly voiced his thoughts. "I wonder," he said mischieviously, "what James and Lily are doing on their rounds. Alone. At night."

Emmeline snorted at the absurdity of what he was insinuating. "Yeah, like they‘re doing anything. You wish Sirius," she said. “Lily will never give James the time of day. Although,” she added as an afterthought, “she does seem willing to become friends with him.”

Marlene then sat up a little higher and said, in quite a good imitation of Lily, "I'm just a little more willing to try and not be enemies, as we're both Heads this year, and I refuse to do everything on my own."

Sirius laughed. "Is that what she said?" he asked. Marlene nodded.

"Speaking of saying things," Alice said, "was that you cursing Lily late last night?"

Sirius had the wits to look sheepish. "Yes," he said.

"Why?" Dorcas asked.

"Because she's starting to rule James' life! Do you know, he doesn't want to pull a prank because Lily will be upset by it?"

“Really?” asked Marlene.

Remus nodded. "I don't really blame him though. I'm sure it's not only because of Lily. He is Head Boy, and he should make an effort to act more responsible."

"You're sounding like her now, Remus!" Sirius whined.

"You say her like it's an insult," Emmeline said.

"She's taking our James away!" Sirius said.

Frank chuckled. "It's not her fault he's head over heels in love with her."

Alice nodded in agreement. "Yes, it’s just like I can't help fancying Fr-," her eyes went wide and she blushed madly. "I can't help fancying French toast," she said.

"I don't think you were going to say french toast," Sirius said, grinning. "I think you were going to say Frank!" He said Frank's name in a sing-song manner.

Now it was Frank’s turn to blush madly. “I’m sure,” he said, “that she meant to say French toast. Right, Alice?”

Alice blushed harder at being addressed by Frank, “Yes,” she said, though, “yes, that’s right.”

Emmeline grinned mischievously. "Is French toast code for Frank?" she asked.

Alice nervously cleared her throat. "Well, weren't we talking about Lily and James? I don't recall this being about Frank and I."

Frank blushed at the words 'Frank and I,' and the others grinned, though they changed the subject back to Lily and James for Alice and Frank's sakes.

“Is James really ‘head over heels in love’ with Lily?” Peter asked.

“Yeah, isn’t that a bit of an exaggeration?” asked Dorcas.

"She's all he ever talks about. I swear he's even recorded every time she's turned him down. He'd do anything for her. He'd die for her."

"Wow…"

Sirius nodded. "He's in denial, though. He still thinks he just really likes her a lot."

Emmeline sighed. “Lily thinks that James likes her because she’s a challenge, because she’s one of the few girls that doesn’t fancy him. She said so in sixth year.”

"That's not why he likes her," Remus said. "He's always going on about how beautiful she is, how smart she is. And then he whines about how he doesn't have a chance."

"Well then, we'll just have to fix that, won't we?" asked Marlene.

"What?" asked Peter, clueless as always.

"We're going to find a way for Lily and James to get together!" Marlene explained.

"Oh," Peter said.

Emmeline rolled her eyes at Peter. "How are we supposed to do that? Lily can't stand James."

"I think that she may just have a soft spot for him and not know it yet," Marlene replied mysteriously.

"Of course she has a spot for James," Emmeline said. "He's all she talks about."

"But when she talks about him it's always his faults that she points out," Dorcas noted.

"Yes," Marlene said, "but I bet she likes him, and either doesn't realize it, or she’s beginning to realize it and is trying to fend it off..."

"Well, how do we get her to realize it, then?" Sirius asked. "Or think of liking him as a good thing?"

Alice grinned slightly, "We all have to work to put him in a good light, right?" The others nodded. "Well, then we have to let her catch him doing good things. Don't let her know about the pranks. Tell James to lay off of the arrogance, I know she hates that. He knows what to do, it's really up to him."

"So you're saying we just have to let her see the good in him?" Sirius asked. Alice nodded. "Well that's not fun," Sirius complained.

"Well," started Remus, "I must say I'd rather have a happy James than constant trouble-making. Although he may be a bit less fun, he'll be happier, and I think Lily is what is best for him. He's more serious about her than he has ever been about any other girl."

Sirius sighed. Remus just had to have that way of making one feel selfish, didn't he? "But," Sirius started, "but what about the Marauders?"

"It's not like he's leaving us. He's just becoming a bit more behaved. And I'm sure that once Lily sees he's not all bad she'll let a prank or two slip by. Right, girls?"

"I don't think Lily would, actually," Marlene said as Emmeline said, "Yes, I'm sure she'd allow it." Hearing Marlene's comment Emmeline looked at her pointedly and coughed. "Erm, I mean, of course. Lily loves pranks, she just doesn't tolerate them because it's James pulling them."

Sirius, not noticing the slip-up, nodded approvingly. “I always knew she had a sense of fun in her. Very, very deep down, that is,” he said.

Remus quickly turned a laugh into a cough at Sirius' lack of observation. Sirius turned and looked at him suspiciously. "What?" Remus asked, looking as innocent as he could.

Sirius mumbled something under his breath before turning back around. "Okay, so the plan is to get James in a good light for Lily. I still don't see how we can manage that."

"Well," Alice said, "the girls and I can watch for good things he does, and then tell Lily about them." The other girls nodded in agreement.

"How do we help, though?" Sirius asked.

"You could try laying off the pranks for a while," suggested Marlene.

"But we're already planning one!" Sirius exclaimed.

"Fine," Emmeline said, "you could always go through with that one and then lay off the pranks, right?"

"But things'll be so boring without pranks," Sirius complained.

"You could find yourself a girlfriend," Remus said.

"Yeah, I suppose I could," Sirius agreed. Emmeline blushed and Marlene snickered.

"So everyone is agreed on the plan?" Frank asked, switching back to the topic they were supposed to be discussing.

There were nods, (reluctant on Sirius' part), and murmurs of agreement throughout the room.

"What do we call it?" Alice asked. "We can't just go around asking each other about it. James and Lily will catch on. We need a code name."

"How about 'Operation: Smelly Feet?'" Peter asked.

Sirius raised an eyebrow. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard from you, Wormtail." Peter blushed and Remus looked at him sympathetically, rolling his eyes in Sirius' direction.

"Well, fine, Moony, you come up with something," Sirius said, catching the eye roll.

"Hmm, how about 'Operation: Flower for Prongs,’ ‘FP,’ for short."

"That fits," Marlene said. The others nodded.

"Alright then, 'Operation: Flower for Prongs' it is. Whenever something bodes well for the operation, we'll tell each other using that name."

"Sounds good to me," Emmeline said, as Lily entered the common room and headed towards the girls' dormitories, looking angry, and James entered after her, looking sullen.

"Speak of the devils," Remus muttered.

The girls said a hurried goodbye to the boys and followed Lily upstairs. James plopped on the couch.

"I did my best," he said, "but it's not good enough. I was polite, and she didn't even notice."

"Well, James," Peter started, "you don't have to worry, because we're going to help you, even the gir- OW! Remus, what was that for?"

Remus, who had stepped on Peter's foot to stop Peter from giving away their mission, gave Peter a look that clearly said, ‘be quiet, we can't let him know,’ and Peter quieted.

Sirius started talking to distract James from the situation. "Maybe she's PMS-ing," he suggested.

Remus gave Sirius a funny look and Sirius shrugged. "What? She could be. Girls are cranky when they're PMS-ing. It probably wasn't you at all, Prongs."

James looked at Sirius doubtfully, "I don't think so, Padfoot," he said.

"Well, if you aren't going to believe me, then we might as well switch to the subject of pranking. One more can't hurt, right?" Sirius asked.

James opened his mouth to disagree, but Sirius cut him off. "Please, Prongs, just one last prank? And then I promise I won't beg for any more."

James mumbled something incoherent. "Fine," he said. "One last prank. But we have to involve everyone."

"Yes, yes, everyone, right," Sirius said hastily. "Now, what are we going to do?"

"Well, this is my cue to leave," Frank said. "Secret Marauder Talk Time. See you in the morning guys." He stood up and left to ‘goodnights’ from the Marauders.

"Well, I was thinking about it," Remus said once Frank was gone, "and I think I've come up with something rather good." They leaned in to hear it.

----------

Lily sat angrily on her four-poster bed, her friends trudging up the stairs.

"How was it?" Alice asked as she and the others entered the room.

"Horrid," Lily said shortly.

"What did he do?" Marlene asked.

"He asked me how I was, and how my family and I are, and how well I like my classes."

"Erm, I hate to break it to you, Lily, but that's not really a bad thing. And I thought you were trying to become friends with him."

"Not friends," Lily corrected, "just not enemies. But he's making it so hard! I don't think he really cared how I or my family were, he was just asking it to seem like a good guy."

"Lily," Marlene said, "I think you have to give him a chance. Otherwise you'll never make it through the year."

"A chance?! Are you kidding?"

"A chance at friendship, Lily, that's all."

"Oh,” she said, feeling a tad stupid about her reaction. “Well, I am trying, but he's so irritating!"

"If his asking how you are is irritating, you really need to lighten up," Emmeline said.

Lily sighed. "I know," she said.

"You've had a long day," Alice said. "Why don't you just sleep on it?"

"Yes," Lily agreed, "sleep sounds good." She readied herself for bed, said goodnight to her friends, and closed the curtains on her four-poster bed.

Lying back, she sighed again. She was certain that Potter had been acting the whole time, but her friends seemed to think otherwise. Could he have been honestly curious as to how she was?

Suddenly, Lily felt a twinge of guilt. If he had been truly curious, she had reacted quite cold towards him.

"So, Lily," James asked, "how are you lately?"

Her reply had been cold. "Fine."

Shoot, Lily thought. Marlene and Emmeline are right. I need to lighten up. I should give him a chance at friendship. Right?

Of course you should, Lily. Remember his fine points.

What fine points?

Well, he's good at transfiguration, and Quidditch. His looks aren't bad, either. Actually, he's quite c-

Lily! Stop that thinking at once! Lily scolded herself.

Does he have any other good points? Is he kind? I don't even know. Maybe he should get this chance...

Yes, Lily, he should. And you'll have to work with him all year anyway, so it's worth a shot...besides, he hasn't asked you out yet all year, and this is only about extending the hand of friendship, not romance.

Lily suddenly made an irritated sound. And now I'm having arguments inside my head with myself! That shows how crazy I have to be to be doing this…

----------

Authors’ Notes: Well, it’s been a while, hasn’t it? But that was chapter four. We really hope you enjoyed it.

Please, review, and let us know what you thought.

Distracted by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Welcome to chapter five, the thinking chapter, and so, more writing time needed than normally.

Chapter Five: Distracted

Lily awoke, her mind feeling heavy for reasons she didn't remember. And then it hit her. She was going to try and become friends with James bloody Potter. She sighed heavily.

Lily got ready for the day along with Marlene and Emmeline, and the three of them chatted as they walked to the Great Hall.

"So, Lily, what have you decided what you're going to do as far as James goes?" Marlene asked.

"As much as it pains me to say, or even think, this, I'm going to try and befriend Potter."

Emmeline made a triumphant gesture. "Hah. I knew it!"

Lily scowled slightly. Her attention was soon caught, however, by the object of her soon-to-be attempted friendship. James was walking nearby, seemingly distracted. In his distraction, he bumped into a fifth year Slytherin girl. She dropped all her papers.

"Oh, crap, I'm sorry," James said, helping her with her papers and books. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

"Lily, are you coming?" Emmeline asked. Lily had frozen to watch James not only not hex a Slytherin, even with an opportunity presented to him, but help her pick up her papers as well.

Emmeline then snickered, seeing what Lily was staring at. "I thought you were just going to try and be friends with him, not stare at him at all opportunities."

Lily rolled her eyes. "I guess I was just astonished at the fact that he didn't curse that girl for getting in his way."

"He hasn't done that for ages Lily,” Marlene pointed out.

"Well, I don't normally pay attention..."

"We know," the girls chorused as they continued toward the table. Lily mumbled something about 'being unpredictable for a change' and followed.

"You know Lily," Marlene said, "James really has changed. He's cut back on the pranking, and the pranks that have been pulled have been more funny than harmful, he hasn't cursed much of anyone yet this year, and he's been much more polite than last year. I spend more time with him because of Remus, and he really is nicer than you give him credit for."

"Yeah," agreed Emmeline, “and as far as I know he hasn't asked you out once this year, and I normally know, because you rant on about it every time he does for about 3 hours..."

"And he's doing all of this for you Lily," added Marlene. "He really does like you."

I don't know," said Lily. "I think you're giving him too much credit."

Emmeline and Marlene give her a look. "Okay, so I may be a bit prejudiced against him," Lily said. Emmeline snorted. “Alright, a lot prejudiced against him, but I think I would notice if he was really that much better."

What about last night on patrol? her brain cut in. He really was quite polite, and you bit his head off.

"Lily, I'll bet you a galleon that if you pay attention, you'll see that James has really improved," Emmeline challenged.

"You're on Emmeline," Lily replied. After all, he can't be that much better. I would have noticed. "You had better be ready to lose a galleon!

----------

In Charms, James sat a few seats over from Lily, and she spent the period studying him out of the corner of her eye. Indeed, he wasn't just chatting with Black like she had expected he would. He actually didn't talk much at all, but stared alertly at Professor Flitwick, looking like he was deep in thought.

He did, however, run his hand through his hair a few times which made Lily wince, but he didn't seem to be thinking about it, merely doing it unconsciously.

That doesn't mean anything. We’ll just have to wait until Transfiguration...

Unfortunately for Lily, though, James acted much the same in Transfiguration, and even in potions he acted quiet, as though he were deep in thought.

He worked hard throughout the period and completed his potion perfectly. When a Slytherin taunted him about his quietness, James responded with a look that plainly said, "I don't care, you're immature." Lily couldn't help but be impressed.

He wasn't like this before. I know he wasn't...don't I? But suddenly, Lily wasn't sure anymore. Lily noticed Professor Walker coming towards James. This will have to get a reaction out of him!

"Potter!" Walker snapped.

"Yes?"

"Tonight will be your last tutoring session with Evans. I suppose you can do your potions well enough. For now."

"Yes Ma'am" James replied, glancing over at Lily to see if she had heard.

Wow. No snide comments or anything! What's wrong with him today?

And with that thought the bell rang. Emmeline approached Lily with a smug look on her face. "See Lily? He was fine all day!"

"The day's not over yet," retorted Lily. She refused to give up that easily.

"Fine," Emmeline said. "We'll just wait until after dinner then, but you'd better have that galleon ready!"

“We shall see who needs the galleon ready," Lily replied with a smile.

The Gryffindor seventh years all trooped back up to the common room, the girls to get a head start on homework, and the boys to put the finishing touches on the prank. Most of the boys, that is. James, Lily noticed, wasn't in the corner with the rest of his friends, he was sitting at a table in the opposite corner with a small boy Lily vaguely recognized as a first year.

What is he doing to that innocent mind? she wondered. He's probably trying to corrupt him into being the future of the Marauders...

Lily watched James and the first year carefully. He couldn't possibly be doing anything that wasn't against the rules.

Unfortunately, Lily could not hear what the two were saying. She had to settle for watching.

James flicked his wrist and something on the table, (Lily couldn't tell what), glowed slightly for a moment. Curiously, she watched as the little boy mimicked James' movement and, assumedly, words, and the little thing on the table glowed again. The boy grinned widely. James smiled.

James held out his hand and the boy smacked it in a 'high-five.' Lily smiled. It was too cute.

Then she realized in horror that she was considering James Potter's actions cute, and the smile was wiped from her face immediately.

"Still watching like a hawk, eh, Lily?" a voice suddenly asked. It was Emmeline. From the snickers she was hearing, she guessed that Marlene was there, too.

“I’m waiting for him to do something to earn me a galleon,” she said, her eyes never leaving James.

“Face it, Lily. You owe me a galleon.”

“He might still pull a prank,” Lily said, sounding unsure.

“I don’t think so,” Emmeline said with a grin.

Lily kept watching. James had just transfigured something, Lily couldn’t tell what, and had given it to the boy. He was whispering something to the first year, who nodded, as if in understanding.

Suddenly, James looked up and straight at Lily. He must've known she had been sitting there, given the fact that he had looked right at her. Does he know I was watching him? she thought, panicking.

"Hi, Lily," James called, grinning and waving.

Lily scowled and turned around so that her back faced him. Emmeline rolled her eyes, but Lily failed to notice. "There," Lily said triumphantly to Emmeline. "Did you see that? You owe me a galleon."

Emmeline raised an eyebrow. "Lily, he waved and said hello. That's not galleon-worthy."

Lily was about to reply, but was interrupted by a tug at her sleeve. Lily looked down to see the first year boy James had been helping.

The boy, seeing that he had her attention, began to speak. "Are you Lily? I think you are, because you're the Head Girl, and James said the Head Girl's name is Lily."

Lily smiled politely. "Yes, I'm Lily."

The boy grinned. "Here, then, James sent you this. He says he's sorry for asking you out all the time since fourth year." The boy was holding out a single red rose for Lily to take. She took it.

"Tell James he should stop tutoring kids so that they'll do his deliveries," Lily said.

"Oh, he's not my tutor. He just helps me out a lot. He only let me do this because I said I wanted to pay him back because he gives up so much time on me, because I need a lot of help. I'm pretty bad at Transfiguration, but he's really good," the boy said. "James says I shouldn't give up, though, because I have potential. And he says he reminds me of his friends." The boy grinned widely.

Lily was flabbergasted. "Oh," she said. "Um, thanks then." The boy nodded and scurried off.

After a few moments' silence, Lily looked up to see Marlene chuckling and Emmeline grinning smugly.

"There's still dinner," Lily pointed out.

"Speaking of which, James and the Marauders have already gone," Marlene said.

Lily turned around and saw that this was indeed true. "C'mon," she said, stepping out through the portrait hole to go to dinner.

Lily, however, was disappointed at dinner, as well. All things seemed to be going in Emmeline’s favor. James had yet to do anything. There he was, at the table with the rest of the Marauders, doing nothing against the rules.

Lily was aggravated. He just had to pick today, of all days, to act like a good guy. Unless he's not acting... No, he had to be acting.

"Emmeline?" Lily asked, suddenly coming up with an idea.

"Hmm?"

"You asked James to behave, didn't you?"

"No, he does it on his own," Emmeline said happily.

Lily raised a skeptical eyebrow. "Marlene, did she or anyone else ask James to behave?"

Marlene shook her head. "No, Emmeline's telling the truth. James actually has changed."

Lily sighed. Maybe they were right. Maybe James had changed. After all, he hadn't hexed Snape, he hadn't asked her out, he hadn't pulled any pra-

Suddenly, there was a flash, and Lily was seeing red. Lots of red.

Literally.

----------

Sirius was at his wits' end. James had been asking about the prank all day.

In Potions, James had asked a good forty times whether or not the prank was safe. At lunch, Sirius had sworn he'd heard James asking Remus if Lily would be upset.

James had even wanted to be included in the prank, so that Lily didn't think it was him, but luckily, Sirius had talked him out of it. That would have been quite embarrassing for their image. Marauders are not to be included in their own prank.

Sirius sighed. If James asked if the prank was going to go well one more ti-

"Padfoot, are you really, really sure that this is going to go well? It's not going to hurt anyone, right?"

Sirius twitched. "No, Prongs, I'm not sure. I bet we're going to blow up the entire school into tiny, tiny bits, and all the students are going to turn into frogs.”

James raised an eyebrow. "Padfoot, the prank isn't complex enough for that. What are you on?"

Sirius rolled his eyes and made a noise of extreme aggravation.

"Pads, I think you need to relax," James said, wandering off.

-----

"James! Hey, James, can you help me with something?" called a voice. It was first year Patrick McNorbert.

"What is it, Patrick?" James asked.

"I'm having trouble with transfiguring a match into a needle. I can't get it to go silver."

"Have you got a match?" James asked with a kind smile. He was certain this kid was going to grow up to be like an odd combination of Remus and Sirius- polite, yet talkative.

Patrick pulled a match-colored needle from his pocket. "I have this," he said.

"Alright, I'll turn it back into a match, and then you'll turn it into a needle. See, what you have to do," James said, crouching down to the boy's level and setting the match on the table, "is think very had on a picture of a needle. That's the most important part. Then you flick your wand like this," James flicked his wand. "Now, watch this." James flicked his wand again, this time toward the needle, and it glowed momentarily before turning into a match.

Patrick grinned at James.

"Alright, now you try it. Remember, focus very hard on that image of a needle."

Patrick nodded, screwed up his face in concentration, and flicked his wand. The match glowed before turning into a silver needle. Patrick beamed at James. "Thanks, James!" he said. Then he frowned slightly. "I'm sorry I take up your time like this."

James grinned. "That's alright," he said truthfully.

"Can I do something to make up for it?"

"Oh, you don't have to-"

"No, I want to. I feel bad taking up your time."

James sighed. "Alright. How about this?" James took the needle off of the table and transfigured it into a red rose. "Do you know who Lily Evans is?"

"Um..."

"She's the Head Girl. I'm going to say hello to her, and point her out. I want you to give her this rose, and tell her I'm sorry for asking her out so often since fourth year. Alright?"

Patrick nodded.

James looked up and saw Lily staring right at him. Odd... she must think I'm corrupting the children, and is waiting for proof so she can hex me. Ah, well, I've got a job to do. James stood up. "Hi, Lily," he called, grinning.

Lily turned her back. James turned to Patrick.

"Alright, she's the one who rolled her eyes and turned her back on us. Got it?" Patrick nodded again. "Right, then," James said. "You know what to do?"

"Yup."

"Good luck." As Patrick walked over to Lily, James walked over to Remus, Sirius, and Peter. "Alright, I'm ready," he said. "One dinner and a prank coming up."

Sirius grinned. "Wonderful!"

They all stood up and walked to the Great Hall.

Fifteen or so minutes later, there was a flash.

And a lot of red.

----------

Authors’ Notes: Thanks to all who have reviewed on past chapters! We hope you liked this one. Yes, we know there is a cliffhanger. Our deepest apologies. Erm… actually, we’re laughing evilly.

Now, onto more important news: We at Messrs Fuzz and Fan Inc. have come up with something grand to organize all the places we post our fan fictions at. We’ve now got a live journal page! Check it out, if you’d like. It’s our homepage. (We’re messrsfuzznfan, by the by.) Let Us Eat Cake.

Of Potions, Pranks, and Pain by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Welcome to Chapter Six. Dun dun dun. The chapter you’ve all…probably not been waiting for, but a chapter we hope you’ll enjoy, anyway. Here we go now y’all. Ah! And by the way, if the prank seems familiar, it’s because Messr Fuzzbutt once used it in one of her Lily/James fics. However, she abandoned that fic, as she was stupid and did not plan it out well. Alas.


Chapter Six- Of Potions, Pranks, and Pain

Suddenly, there was a flash, and Lily was seeing red. Lots of red.

Literally.

-----

Lily blinked. She blinked again. She rubbed her eyes furiously. Emmeline burst into laughter. Marlene started chuckling.

These events led Lily to believe that there was nothing wrong with her eyesight.

No, she was seeing correctly. Every last occupant of the castle, including the fur-sporting animals, had red hair. Red hair, oddly enough, that was the same shade as Lily's.

Lily glared. Potter.

She spun around to find him. Surely he and his gang would still have properly colored hair. He would never let this happen to himself. Oddly enough, though, she didn't see his black hair anywhere...

Neither did she see the familiar light brown of Remus, or the blonde of Peter. I was just watching Potter a moment ago. He was right down the table from-

But Lily no longer needed to look for the Marauders. They made their presence known, instead.

"Peter!" Sirius wailed. "What did you do?" He was pulling at his own red hair, a look of horror on his face.

"I looked up the spell just like you told me to!" wailed Peter.

"Well, you had to have gotten something wrong! This wasn't supposed to happen to us!"

"Actually," Remus laughed, "I think it suits you rather well."

Sirius scowled. "My beautiful hair!" he whined.

"I know I copied everything right!" Peter said in his own defense.

"That can only mean one thing!" Sirius spun around and poked James in the chest. "James, this is your fault! You were the one that insisted we change the spell from bimbo-blonde to Lily-red. Now look at what's happened!"

"Don't look at me!” James said. “You were the one who tried to modify it to make it stick around for twenty-four hours! That's probably what messed up Remus' inclusion spell!"

Lily snorted with suppressed laughter. It’s about time they found out what it's like to be on the receiving end of one of their own pranks. “Why on earth did Potter choose red?” Lily wondered aloud.

Emmeline and Marlene looked at Lily like she was insane. "Did you just ask why Potter chose red?" Emmeline asked.

Lily blinked. "Did I say that out loud?"

"Yes," Marlene said, “and that's an absurd thing to wonder."

"Why?"

"Because everyone with half a brain knows why Potter picked red!" Emmeline exclaimed. "It's because it's the same color as your hair, Lily, and he fancies you!"

Suddenly, the prank just wasn't as amusing. Stupid Potter, he has to ruin everything. "When will he get the hints and not-so-subtle yellings-at? I. Will. Not. Go. Out. With. Him."

"Sure, Lily, sure," muttered Emmeline, thinking about Operation: Flower for Prongs.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all," Emmeline said innocently.

Lily gave Emmeline a look which clearly showed that Lily didn‘t believe her. "Well, anyway Emmeline, you owe me a galleon."

"But- but we can't prove it was them," Emmeline reasoned.

"Yes we can," said Lily. "Oiy, Potter!" she called. James looked over. "This your work?"

James grinned sheepishly. "Actually, no, we don't kno-"

"Of course it was us, James! What kind of a Marauder are you?" Sirius said, smacking James upside the head.

Lily turned back to Emmeline with a smug look on her face. "Told you. Now pay up."

"Well, the prank didn't hurt anyone,” Emmeline argued. “It wasn't even aimed at the Slytherins. In fact, James included himself!"

"They didn't mean to include themselves, you heard them arguing. Anyway, you bet that he'd changed, and he's still pulling pranks. That's not change. Pay up, Emmeline, I won this bet and you know it."

Emmeline muttered something incoherent and pulled a galleon from her robes.

"Well," Lily said, "this just shows how much of a prat James Potter is. How am I supposed to befriend him? I can't stand him."

"Lily," Marlene said, "sometimes it seems like you look for any excuse to be mad at James. Despite his prank, he really has laid off on his ego. He hasn't hexed Snape, and he hasn't asked you out. You have to admit that that's good."

But Lily was stubborn. "He's still a jerk," she said.

Marlene sighed. "Whatever you say, Lily. You'll see it in time."

"See what? There's nothing to see. You're both delusional," Lily stated. Honestly, what was wrong with Marlene and Emmeline lately? Couldn’t they see how horrible James was?

-----

The next morning, Lily awoke, as usual, and headed downstairs. James was already there. Perfect. She walked over to him. "Potter, last potions session tonight. Be there at seven," she said.

James nodded and grinned cockily. "Right," he said.

Lily raised an eyebrow. "You look horrible with red hair," she said.

"Are you saying I look good with black?"

"You're impossible," she said with disgust. And with that, Lily left for breakfast.

-----

At dinner that night, Lily was almost bouncing with excitement.

"Lily, what has gotten into you?" Emmeline asked.

"Last session with Potter! Last session! I could dance!"

"You practically are," Marlene pointed out.

Lily laughed. "So I am," she said. She laughed again.

Emmeline raised an eyebrow. "You're acting like me," she said.

Lily laughed again. "I'm excited, is all."

"We could tell," said Marlene.

An extraordinarily loud pop filled the Great Hall and the students had their normal hair color back.

This set Lily off laughing again.

Emmeline raised an eyebrow. She must really not be able to stand James, to act like that.

-----

Dinner ended, and seven o'clock came. Lily entered the potions classroom and found James, as usual, already there.

He gave her a grin. "Right on time," he said.

"Ironic, that, coming from you," Lily replied. She grinned. "Alright, so this is our last session. I was thinking we'd do a nice, simple, takes-up-little time sort of potion- the boil curing potion."

"Lily, we did that potion in first year," James pointed out.

Lily laughed. "It'll be quick, then, won't it?" she patted his cheek. "Get to it, then, Potter. Dried nettles, crushed snake fangs, stewed horned slugs, and porcupine quills. C'mon!"

James grinned at Lily's odd enthusiasm. "What is with you today, Lily?"

"Oh, nothing," Lily said, grinning again. "I'm just really excited that this is the last time I have to tutor you!"

James' face fell. "Oh."

"Oh, come now," Lily said. "Don't tell me you enjoy going over things you already know how to do and wasting your precious Marauder time."

"Well of course not, but I love spending time with you. I thought you would've figured that out by now." He gave her a grin.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Not even your flirting can ruin my mood today, Potter."

James shook his head at her attitude and pulled out the ingredients. He loved to see her happy. Even if it was because she'd no longer have to deal with him. She was always yelling at him, and he almost never got to see this side of her.

As James began brewing the potion, he asked her, "So, Lily, how did you like the prank?"

Lily dropped her grin. "How many times do I have to tell you that flattery doesn't work on me?"

"At least once more, as always," James said.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Why didn't you just go with bimbo-blonde?"

"Where's the fun in that? Too many students are bimbo-blonde already. Besides, your hair is prettier," James added.

Lily groaned. "James Potter, flattery. Does. Not. Work. On. Me! It only makes me resort to one word sentences! And that's horrible!"

James laughed. "Most girls get like that around me. It's alright, I'm used to it."

Lily gave James a death glare. He just has to push my buttons!

Bah! Potter, you're stupid! James thought to himself. Stupid, stupid, stupid! How in the hell do you manage to do things like that all the time? Ah!

While James was thinking this, Lily walked over and right up to James. Her voice low, she said, "Potter, you're a bastard. Emmeline and Marlene seem to think you've changed, but I can see right through your act. You're nothing but an arrogant, pig-headed jerk. I can't stand you. You're just going to have to deal with that, because that's how it's always going to be. All you have is a silly infatuation for me, anyway. You don't like me. You lust after me. So just- just stop, alright? It doesn't work."

James blinked. He was stunned. Lily had never said anything like that before. Sure, she had told him she'd hated him, and she'd told him he was a bastard, and all of the things she'd told him now. But never like this. Never so seriously. He looked up and saw she was blinking too much. Her eyes were shiny with tears she refused to let fall. She'd never gotten so upset at him that she was brought to tears.

Lily sniffed. "James, just please, for me, let this one thing go. If you really care about me, you'll leave me alone. I can't stand this anymore. Let me have my seventh year in peace, okay? Let me be, for once. I‘m tired of your games."

Her voice caught in her throat and she cleared it. "Leave me alone after this."

Lily was furious with herself. How could she let herself cry in front of him? She was furious at him, for being a bastard, and furious at herself, for letting it get to her. She let out a noise of irritation. "Can you just hurry and finish this up, please?" she asked.

James nodded. He hadn't said anything. And he didn’t want to say anything else. He could hardly think straight. His thoughts were whirling. He just wanted to leave and be alone.

Lily sighed. This had turned out awful. Her mood had gone from wonderful to horrible in a matter of minutes. And what were Emmeline and Marlene going to say when they found out what happened? Lily knew they'd find out. Whether from Remus or from herself, they'd find out. So much for befriending James Potter. He probably hated her now. But that was what she had wanted, right? To get him to hate her as much as she hated him? That's what she used to want. And then she had decided, albeit grudgingly, to befriend him, and it had gone like this. Was she supposed to feel this awful?

Lily shook her head. There was no use thinking these sorts of things. She looked up and James was almost done with his potion. "Be sure to add the porcupine quills after the cauldron is taken off the fire," Lily mumbled to James.

James nodded again.

Lily was unused to silence from him.

"Look, James," she said, using his first name, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to tell you that-"

"No, don't be sorry," James cut in. "After all, it's only the truth. I'm a bastard. I should leave you alone. Hell, I bet I am lusting after you. Yes, I'm sure I'm not attracted to your personality. I couldn't be. Someone like me doesn't know what it is to love, after all, right?"

Lily blinked. Love?

"I'm done. See you, Lily." James put his things away and left.

"Shit," Lily said. She went to go after him, but he must've taken a different route. He wasn't anywhere to be seen down the hallway.

Was I too harsh? Lily wondered as she slowly walked towards the Gryffindor common room. I meant what I said, and I wanted him to leave me alone. Right?

What about being friends with him?

What about it? It wouldn't have worked.

You didn't try.

Lily sighed. This was getting her nowhere. But she couldn't stop wondering if she'd done the right thing. Yes, Lily, you did the right thing.

“Then why do I feel so awful?” Lily wondered aloud.

"It's natural for a mudblood to feel that way," said a voice.

Lily spun around. The speaker had been Bellatrix Black. Behind her stood Rodolphus Lestrange and Regulus Black.

"Fancy a walk in the Slytherin area after dark, I see?" asked Regulus. Regulus was Sirius' younger brother. Sirius couldn't stand him.

"It's none of your business what I'm doing down here," Lily said coldly.

"Oh, but it is our business," Bellatrix said sweetly. "You see, we don't like filth like you dirtying up the Slytherin area. Do you know what we do to Mudbloods wandering around here at night?"

"Do you know what I do to people who have nothing better to do than wander hallways and try to frighten students?" Lily asked back.

Rodolphus growled. "Don't you speak to us like that," he said, advancing towards her. Lily stepped back.

"I'll do what I please," she said, trying not to seem intimidated.

"And we'll do as we please," Bellatrix said, stepping in.

Lily stepped back and her foot hit the wall. She could no longer run. Regulus, Bellatrix, and Rodolphus had her surrounded. She was trapped. Even if Lily had time to pull out her wand, she wouldn't be able to take all three of them. Slytherins or not, they were quick to duel.

"I'll have you expelled," Lily spat.

"Not if we have you killed," Bellatrix said with a smile, raising her wand.

----------

Authors’ Notes: We must really be evil, because there’s the end of chapter six. And there’s another cliff hanger. We had to end it here, however.

Please review and tell us what you thought!

Changing Strategies by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail
Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: And, these, my good readers, are authors’ notes. We really don’t have anything to say except thanks to all who reviewed, and enjoy.

Chapter Seven- Changing Strategies

One of the best perks of being a Marauder, was that being a Marauder meant knowing every secret passageway one could take. James was taking an alternate route to the common room to avoid a run-in with Lily.

"Potter, you're a bastard. Emmeline and Marlene seem to think you've changed, but I can see right through your act. You're nothing but an arrogant, pig-headed jerk. I can't stand you. You're just going to have to deal with that, because that's how it's always going to be. All you have is a silly infatuation for me, anyway. You don't like me. You lust after me. So just- just stop, alright? It doesn't work."

The words rang in his head, clear as bells. Ringing, ringing, ringing.

"James, just please, for me, let this one thing go. If you really care about me, you'll leave me alone. I can't stand this anymore. Let me have my seventh year in peace, okay? Let me be, for once. I‘m tired of your games."

James shut his eyes.

"Leave me alone after this."

James let out a strangled cry. "I'm such an ass," he burst out, frustrated. Every time I'm around her, I just can't help it. I can't help it. She's so beautiful. It's no wonder she hates me. Merlin, I just keep getting stupider, don't I? Is stupider even a word? Potter, you're slipping.

She’s going to hate you forever. She said so herself. Why don’t you just go apologize for making her feel like shit? It’s the least you could do…

James took a deep breath. He didn’t often apologize, and he wasn’t sure that he was any good at apologies. He decided to double-back so that he wouldn’t have to apologize to her in front of the common room. She’d hate that.

Taking every short cut he knew of, James took the route back to the potions classroom at a slow run. When he entered the hallway leading to it, he saw a scene that made his blood boil.

Lily was surrounded by Slytherins, doing her best to keep fear from her face. "Stupefy!" James yelled. Regulus fell, unconscious.

In the confusion that followed, Lily was able to pull out her wand. Thank goodness James is here, she thought. Then her face scrunched up in fury. What is he doing here? I told him to leave me alone! I don't need saving all the time!

"Well, isn't this nice?" Bellatrix crooned. “The Gryffindor prince come to save the fair maiden. How sweet."

Lily glared, but said nothing.

"If Slytherins played fair, she wouldn't need saving," James spat. "Instead it's three against a cornered one."

"If she wasn't a Mudblood, we'd play fair," Rodolphus said, advancing on James. "She doesn't deserve fairness."

Look at Potter, come on. Just look at him... there! "Stupefy!" Lily roared, her wand aimed at Bellatrix. She had waited for the girl to be distracted before making her move. She didn't feel up to an all out duel. She was strained emotionally after her argument with James, and all she wanted to do was take a nice nap. Damn Bellatrix and her impeccable timing.

Rodolphus looked at Bellatrix, who was slumped in a crumpled heap on the floor. "Why you miserable little-" he started, rounding on Lily.

"Silencio!" Lily silenced the Slytherin.

"Stupefy!" James said as Roldophus raised his wand. He, too, slumped to the floor. Lily shoved him aside with her shoe and began to walk away as if doing nothing but going from a potions session to a dormitory.

"Lily!" James called, taking longer strides to catch up to her. "Lily, wait, I wanted to apologize!"

Lily turned round so quickly that she almost ran into James, who was not far behind her. She took a step back. "Look," she said glaring, "I don't want an apology. I just want you to go away! Is that so hard? Is it really too bloody hard for you? Get it through your thick head, Potter, I don't like you!"

James' head pounded. He'd just saved her bloody life! His ears were turning red with growing frustration. "You know what, Lily? Fine. Fine! I don't even know why I bother. All you ever do is rip my heart to shreds. Merlin, is anything I ever do good enough for you? I try to be someone you'd like, I act like a friend, I stop asking you out, you yell at me like I'm your worst enemy, and I still save you! And this is how you thank me?"

"You're so stubborn! I can't take loving you anymore! I just can't!"

Loving? Lily thought incredulously. "Didn't you listen to me at all, earlier, James? You don't love me! You lust me! God only knows why, but you do!"

"Because you're you, Lily! Because you're you! Because you love your friends, and you love your family! Because you work so hard to maintain your perfect grades! Because you stick up for everything you believe in! Because you don't let the Slytherin bastards get to you! Because it's not just lust! With what you've been saying, I've begun wondering if you're afraid to have someone fall in love with you! But you know what? It's too late. I'm in love with you, Lily," he said, his voice dropping in volume. "I'm in love with you. And it hurts."

James' shoulders drooped. "I've had enough. Bye, Lily." He turned around and walked up to Gryffindor common room.

Lily stood frozen, her mouth hanging open in shock.


It was five minutes later before Lily remembered that she was still standing in the hallway. It came as a shock to her when Peeves, who had been right in front of her, though she hadn't noticed, dumped a bottle of ink down her front. She scorgified it and shook her head, walking up to the Gryffindor tower, still in a daze.

When Lily reached her dormitory, she told her friends that she wasn't up for talking, and that she just wanted to sleep. She closed the curtains around her four-poster.

What's wrong with me? She wondered. One minute I'm feeling bad for ranting at Potter, next minute I'm completely angry at him for saving my life. Why? It doesn't make sense! How does he do that to me? How is it that he makes me feel that I've done something wrong, when all I've done is spoken my mind?

I didn't think he loved me... Does he, though? Or is he making it up? Is he trying to get me to feel bad? Or do I really make him hurt? Do I really break his heart every time I turn him down?

Lily groaned. It was just too much to think on. Why can't he be like a normal guy and just ignore me?

Lily turned onto her side and curled up. It was quite some time before sleep took her.

-----

James stepped into his dormitory. He'd ignored his friends, who were in the common room, when they asked him why he was upset. Thankfully, none had followed. James suspected it was Remus or Sirius who picked up on the fact that he didn't want to talk to anyone.

He sighed. His head hurt. His heart hurt. His thoughts spun. Why does she always do this to me? Can't she see the way I feel? Is she even worth all of the pain that she puts me through?

James sat up. Maybe this is it... Maybe she isn't worth it. I can't spend my whole life waiting for her...

It was then that Sirius walked in. So much for knowing I didn't want to talk, James thought.

"Hey, Prongs. You okay?" Sirius asked.

James nodded. "Yes, I think. I think I'm going to give up on Lily."

Sirius blinked. "What?"

"I'm giving up on Lily," James repeated.

"Why?" Sirius asked. "What's wrong with you?"

James scowled. "I would think that you of all people would be happy, Sirius."

"But you love her," Sirius said.

"She doesn't love me."

Sirius blinked again. He didn’t deny it. He loves Lily Evans. "Why are you giving up?"

"She doesn't love me," James repeated.

"She never has," Sirius pointed out.

James glared at Sirius again. "And she never will! I've been trying for years, Padfoot! Years!"

"Well, you yourself said it wouldn't be easy," Sirius said, trying to dissuade James from this decision. Sure, Sirius didn't like that James seemed to always care about what Lily thought over what Sirius thought, but Sirius had accepted that that was the way it would have to be when he accepted the fact that James loved her.

"Sirius, it's impossible. It's about time I realized it."

"Why are you giving up?" Sirius asked again.

"Why do you care? It shouldn't matter to you. Why aren't you happy that I'm going to stop fawning over her?" James asked, angrily.

"Because, James, you love Lily. People aren't supposed to give up on love."

"It doesn't matter that I love her! The fact remains- she doesn’t love me. She never will, Padfoot. Never! Why shouldn't I try to move on?"

"It won't work."

"What do you know about it, Sirius? You've never had a serious relationship. You've never loved someone that hates you. It hurts like hell, and I can't take it anymore!"

"What the hell happened to you, James?" Sirius asked incredulously.

"I gained a brain, that's what."

"Gained a brain? Hah. I think you just lost a heart."

"Shut up, Sirius! Just shut up! I know I'm making the right decision! I need to just let go!"

"Easier said than done."

James took a quick intake of breath. "Go away, Sirius. Leave me be, for now."

"I can't leave you be! I can't! You're my best mate! I'm not going to leave you to make the worst decision of your life!"

"It's the best decision. It's the only thing I can do. And you'll see that it was right soon enough. You'll see."

Sirius sighed and looked at James with mixed emotions of sadness and frustration. "No, James, you'll see how right you weren't." He shook his head sadly. "You're only breaking your own heart even more."

"Then let it break! Sometimes the worst things aren't really the worst! It's better off this way! Just leave!"

"I will not leave!" Sirius roared. "You're being completely stupid! You're hurt, that's all! This isn't how you really feel! You're going to regret it! Every time you see her you're going to hurt because you'll know it can't be any more. Every time! Don't let this go, James!"

James stood up. "It's the only way that makes sense," he said, leaving Sirius standing in the dormitory by himself.

"Damn it!" Sirius cursed, kicking a nearby wall. He let out a slight yell of pain. "Damn it!"

----------

Days passed. Lily watched James, confused. Why does it bother me so much now that he's finally listened to me.

Because he's depressed. And it's your fault. You're such a heartless, cruel person sometimes.

But... but he can't love me.

Why not?

Because he's him. He's James. James Potter. James Potter does not love. He lusts.

Does he?

Yes… Right?

Lily slammed her hands down onto the bed she was sitting on in frustration. "I don't know!" she said aloud.

"Don't know what?" Emmeline, who was nearby with Marlene, asked.

"Nothing," Lily mumbled.

"Lily... you haven't been the same since your last potions session with James. Are you going to tell us what happened that night?" Marlene asked.

Lily sighed. "James and I had a row."

Emmeline furrowed her brow. "You two row a lot," she pointed out.

"It was different this time," Lily said. She looked down and began to fiddle with the corner of her bedspread.


"How so?" Marlene asked gently.

"I told him to leave me alone, and he... something in him snapped. He just... he told me that he loved me. He told me that it hurts to love me. And that he's had enough. And he left. And he's not been the same. I think he and Sirius rowed, too."

Emmeline blinked. "He told you he loved you?"

Lily nodded, not looking up. "And it was after I yelled at him for saving my life."

"Merlin," Emmeline breathed. "Why'd you do that?"


"I don't know!" Lily cried, before breaking down in tears. Emmeline and Marlene moved over to her bed to try and comfort her. "I thought I wanted him to hate me. I thought it would be best for both of us. I didn't think he loved me. But now, now I think he does because he's so upset. I'm so heartless... God, what have I done?"

Marlene hugged Lily. "You're not heartless," she said. "You're just confused. That's all. He's been changing and you don't know what to think. And this was just the easiest way you knew how to deal with it- to make it go away so you wouldn't have to."

Emmeline had a look of sadness and sympathy on her face as she watched Lily. "Lil, you're the best person I've ever met. It'll be alright. You watch."

"I've screwed everything up. I've ruined his year and I didn't even try to be friends with him. I didn't even try! I don't know what to do…"

"Try," Marlene said. "Everyone makes mistakes. Try to be his friend. Try to make things better for him and for yourself."

"But, but won't it just hurt him to be around me? It's like dangling turkey in front of a hungry dog."

"Lily Evans you are not a turkey!" Emmeline scolded. "Besides, maybe he only thinks he loves you. If you become friends with him, then he'll see it's just lust. And he'll see that being your friend is all he really needs."

"He'll be happier for it, Lily. He'll be happier without you hating him, don't you think?"

Lily sniffled. "I don't know..."

"Give it a try," Marlene said, "and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work."

"I feel like I'm playing with his heart. What if we becomes friends and he wants more? What if he really does love me?"

"Even that is better than both of you being miserable. At least this way you'll both have that ounce of happiness. James for you two having made up, and you for James not being miserable."

“Well, I, er…” Come on, Lily. Just do it. Selfish as this is, it was even more selfish of you to assume that he didn’t know what love was. At least this way you won’t be killing his heart completely. You may even be able to tape it back up this way. And maybe Emmeline’s right. Maybe James will find out he doesn’t love me. “Alright, I’ll do it,” Lily said. “I just hope it turns out alright.”“It will,” Marlene reassured her. Operation: Flower for Prongs is back in business, she thought.

Authors’ Notes: And so ends chapter seven. I’m guessing you’re all glad that this chapter has no cliffhanger? Well, anyway, we want to know what you thought, so please review!

Friends by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Dodododoooooo! Welcome to chapter eight. We want to say a short thank you to all who have stuck about this long and enjoy our story. Thank you! And thanks to all who review, as well! We really appreciate it, and it’s reviews that get us to write faster, as we want to satisfy you wonderful people with a new chapter. And without further ado, chapter eight.

Chapter Eight- Friends

Alright, Lily. Act friendly. You can do it, even if it is Potter. Besides, he deserves this, because you screwed up. Lily walked down the stairs. James was sitting on a couch looking sullen in the common room. Lily sat down next to him. "Hey, Po-, er, James," she said.

What is she doing? "Hi," James replied.

"Look, James, I'm sorry about the incident after potions," Lily said, looking down.

"Yeah, well, it's only what you've wanted to say to me forever, isn't it? It doesn't matter," James said, somewhat coldly.

"Doesn't it?" Lily asked.

"No," James said.

"Oh," Lily replied lamely. "Well, how're you doing in potions?" she asked after few moments' silence.

"I never had a problem with it, I told you that before. I was just distracted," James said. He wouldn't look at her.


"Um, how're you doing with the distractions, then?" Lily asked tentatively. This was not going well.

"Oh, quite well," James said. "I don't have the distraction from her, anymore. I don't have a reason to watch her."

Lily furrowed her brow. "Oh," she said again, somewhat disheartened.

"Look, I have to go eat breakfast," James said, standing up.

"Bye," Lily called to his retreating figure. He did not answer. Well, that went well, didn't it? Oh, who’re you kidding? He hates you. Lily sighed. This was just perfect... just bloody perfect.

-----

Later, she decided to try again. It was after lunch, and everyone was sitting in the common room. Lily sat next to James. "Do you mind if I sit here?" she asked.

James just shook his head without looking at her.

Lily frowned. This was not going to work, not at all.

"I have to go," James said suddenly. "I didn't finish the homework for Transfiguration, and we have that next," he said. He got up and left for the boys' dormitories.

Emmeline frowned. "We have History of Magic next," she said, confused.

Lily's frown deepened.

-----

"James, we have to do patrols tonight," Lily reminded James.

James shrugged. "Right, whatever."

Lily frowned. "Alright," she said, "see you there, then."

James nodded.

-----

"James, can I borrow your quill for a moment? I left mine upstairs," Lily said.

James tossed his quill over to her without looking up.

Lily sighed. "Thanks," she mumbled. He did not reply.

-----

"James, did you take notes in History of Magic?" Lily asked.

He nodded.

"Erm, well, I missed one section, can I borrow your notes?" She questioned.

He handed them to her. He still had not looked directly at her.

-----

It was during patrols that Lily had finally had enough of it. "James," she had started, "it's Halloween in a few weeks. What are you planning on doing?"

James shrugged.

Lily let out a frustrated noise. "Why won't you talk to me?" she asked.

"I talk to you," he replied. "Look, I'm talking to you now."

"You aren't talking. You're just speaking meaningless words," Lily said.

"Most would consider that talking, Evans," James replied coldly.

"What is wrong with you?" Lily asked, exasperated.

"What's wrong with me?" James asked angrily. "What about what's wrong with you?"

Lily glared. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You should know! You probably planned it all out. Step One: crush James' heart. Step Two: pretend to put it back together. Step Three: crush it again!"

"What are you talking about?" Lily asked incredulously. "It's you who has been avoiding me like the plague!"

"I have not been! And if I were, it would only be because you're leading me on!"

"What?" Lily asked, shocked.

"You're leading me on! You break my heart and then you pretend to want to fix it! I thought you were better than that!"

"That is not what I'm trying to do! James Elias Potter, I swear to God and Merlin and all else out there that that is not what I'm doing!"

James scowled. "Hah," he replied.

"Hah? Is that all you can say? You're the one that's wrong, James. You're the one that's running."

"Running? From what?" James asked, an icy edge to his voice.

"Me. You're running from me because you can't deal with the fact that things are changing."

"Oh, like you can talk! You're the one that gets angry every time I show interest! You're running too, Lily!"

"I am not running! I'm not avoiding you! I'm trying to be your friend, why can't you see that?"

"You couldn't see it when I tried," James stated.

"What? When?"

"It was on patrols. I asked you how classes were going, how your family was. But you didn't care." James glared.

"Well I thought you were trying to get me to go out with you by being something you're not!"

"That's just it, Lily! It wasn't something that I wasn't. It's something that I am! But you won't look to see it!"

"I didn't know," Lily said softly.

"And who is to say that I should know your intentions, either, then?" James asked.

Lily sighed. "I'm sorry," she said.

James' anger suddenly left him, and he was left walking next to the girl of his dreams feeling lost. "I can't take things like this, Lily," he said. "I've tried for ages, and you've never gone out with me. And I don't think I can take it anymore, because things are just getting worse. I don't like fighting with you, but that seems to be the only way to converse with you anymore. So I don't even think I want to do that."

For the umpteenth time, "Oh," was all Lily said.

"So aside from patrols, we'll just not see each other, okay?"

"We could try to be friends," Lily said.

"What?" James asked, not prepared for the turn in conversation.

"We could try to be friends," she repeated. "If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, and we go with your plan. But isn't it better if we do try to be friends? Isn‘t being friends better than total avoidance?"

"Why do you want to do this?" James asked, looking her in the eye for the first time in days.

"Because I messed up," Lily answered truthfully. "I messed a hell of a lot up."

"Yeah, you did," James said. "But sometimes I don't blame you."

"Why not?" Lily wondered aloud.

"Because if I hadn't always fawned over you, you wouldn't have ever gotten so angry with me and hated me so much. I was the annoyance."

"I was the over-reactor."

James sighed, and looked at Lily uncertainly. "So we're actually going to do this?"

"We're going to try. I think it'll take some work in the beginning, but we're going to try."

James gave her a weak smile. "Alright," he said, holding out his hand, "deal."

"Deal," she said, shaking his offered hand.

James winced at the shock he felt when he touched her hand. That would need to go away if this were to work well. Lily, however, felt it too, and looked away from his eyes in hopes that he would not notice. They let go of each other's hand and Lily looked back at James.

Everything suddenly felt a lot better.

----------

"So," Marlene asked when Lily returned to her dormitory after patrols, "how did it go?"

Lily grinned. "We've agreed to attempt to be friends," she said.

Emmeline pumped her arm into the air triumphantly. "Yes!" she said.

"Does this mean you don't hate him?" Marlene asked.

Lily blushed. "I never hated him," she admitted.

"What do you bet," Emmeline started, looking at Marlene, "that Lily dearest has always harbored an enormous crush for James E. Potter, and it is finally coming out, even if just a little bit?"

Marlene grinned. "I'm sure that's it, Emm," she said.

Lily rolled her eyes, but her blush had gotten deeper. "I don't fancy him. You two are so strange."

"Who do you fancy, then, Lily?" Emmeline asked with a mischeivous tone to her voice.

"I don't know," Lily said. "No one here, I suppose."

"What she means," Emmeline said, "is no one in this room. She's trying to answer truthfully without telling, you see?"

Marlene laughed as Lily sputtered indignantly. "I don't fancy Potter!" she said.

"Then why are you blushing, Lily?"

"Because it's hot in here!"

"I'm quite comfortable, really, how about you Marlene?" Emmeline asked, as if discussing the weather.

"Yes, it's quite nice. Perhaps Lily is coming down with something?"

"Yes, that must be it." Emmeline put a hand to Lily's forehead. "Hrm, she's quite warm."

"That could be the blush," Marlene pointed out, causing Lily to scowl and blush harder.

"Oh, too right," said Emmeline. "Do you feel sick, Lily dear?"

Lily glared playfully at Emmeline and shoved her over the side of the bed, which she had been sitting on.

"Oof," Emmeline said. She sat up, grumbling. "It's not right to push people off beds when all they want to do is help you.”

And as could only be expected, a pillow fight ensued.

----------

James entered the common room after patrols feeling lighter than air. Until he saw, Sirius, that is. The two had not spoken since their last argument. James cleared his throat. Sirius looked up, glared, and got up to leave.

"Padfoot, can we talk?" James asked.

"There's nothing to say," Sirius said. "You're an idiot."

James frowned. "Yes, sometimes I am," he agreed.

Sirius had not expected that. "What happened?"

"We agreed to be friends," James said.

"Oh," Sirius said. "Well, at least I've got a replacement."

"Padfoot, don't be so dramatic. I couldn't ever replace you. Especially not with Lily. She's too moody."

Sirius grinned slightly, "She is, isn't she?"

James chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, quite a bit. Sort of like Moony around full moon."

"Full moon is coming up," Sirius noted.

James frowned, "I know. And we'll both be there for him, as usual."

Sirius nodded his agreement.

"I'm sorry," James said suddenly. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you."

"I'm sorry I got so angry... it's just hard to see a friend give up on something like love," Sirius said awkwardly. He was no good at this.

James nodded, but did not know how to respond.

"So," said Sirius, "we'll never let a girl get between us again, right?"

"Can we really guarantee that?" James asked skeptically.

"Alright, we'll never not trust each other to deal with things like girls on our own again?"

"That's a confusing way to word 'we'll let the other make their own decision, even if they're wrong,' isn't it?" James asked, grinning.

"Yeah, it is," Sirius said. He held out his hand. "We'll let ourselves make our own decisions, even if they're wrong. And we'll be there for the other when things get bad, because the decision was stupid."

James laughed and shook Sirius' hand. "Exactly," he said.

----------

Authors’ Notes: Whoo! The number of reviews we’ve gotten really makes us happy! And here ends chapter eight. We’d really like it if you reviewed it, too! :D

Strange Indeed by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes: Thanks to everyone who has been reviewing! We’ve now got over fifty reviews at both hpff.com and mugglenet.com! Thanks so much!

Chapter Nine- Strange Indeed

The next few weeks seemed to pass in a blur, as all of a sudden the day of Halloween had come.

Lily and James had been slowly getting more comfortable around each other. They were sitting next to each other, in fact, at breakfast, with the rest of the Marauders, Marlene, and Emmeline nearby. Marlene found this situation very agreeable.

"What are we going to do today?" Sirius asked.

"Go to Hogsmeade," Remus replied.

"I know that! I meant what are we going to do in Hogsmeade?"

"Buy things," Remus said.

"I know that! Where are we going to go in Hogsmeade?"

"Stores," Emmeline said, catching onto Remus's game.

Sirius pouted and grumbled. "I want to go to Zonko's," he stated.

"Oh, me too," Emmeline seconded.

James shrugged. He really didn't mind where they went, as long as it wasn't the Hog's Head; that place creeped him out.

"Can we go to The Three Broomsticks in the morning?" Marlene asked.

"Why?" asked Emmeline.

"Oh, well, Remus and I were planning on spending the afternoon together," Marlene said, still with a hint of shyness.

Sirius raised his eyebrows up and down suggestively.

Marlene flicked Sirius in the ear.

"Ouch," Sirius said, clutching the assaulted ear and glaring at Marlene. "Remus, your girlfriend is vicious."

"James, don't we have to see Dumbledore about the Hogsmeade trip and how to watch over the younger students?" Lily asked suddenly.

"Oh yeah," James said, as if just remembering. The two got up to leave. "See you in a bit," James said.

As soon as they were gone, Marlene looked around. "I think this is the perfect opportunity to help Operation: Flower for Prongs," she said.

"How so?" asked Emmeline.

"We can abandon them," Marlene stated, as if it were obvious. "Remus and I will go at lunch, and you and Sirius can sneak off whenever you get the chance."

Sirius grinned. "I get to sneak off with you, Emmeline," he said.

Emmeline blushed. "It'll work, I think," she said.

Remus nodded in agreement. "The hardest part will be those two," he pointed at Emmeline and Sirius, "sneaking off without James and Lily noticing."

"What about Peter?" Sirius asked.

"As far as I know he's not coming with us. He said he had somewhere else to be. He wouldn't tell me where, though," Remus said.

"Maybe he's got a date," Sirius suggested.

There was a pause. "Nah," Sirius said with Remus, Emmeline, and Marlene simultaneously.

"Alright, so how can they sneak away?" Marlene wondered aloud.

"We can say we want to go to Zonko's. Lily won't want to go there," Emmeline said.

"No," Sirius said, "but James will." He paused to think. "We can say we want to go to the Hog's Head. James hates that place."

"No, that won't work," Emmeline started. "Lily will want to stop everyone from going there."

"You could say you want to go to Honeyduke's," Remus said.

"No, that won't work--" Emmeline was saying when Lily cut in.

"What won't work?" she asked.

"We were discussing excuses to use on Professors when we don't feel like finishing an assignment. Marlene is convinced that, 'my boyfriend vanished it,' will not work. What do you think?" Emmeline lied on the spot.

"Of course it won't work," Lily said. "It's easier to just do homework than make up excuses, anyway."

“I think it’s easier to make up the excuses,” James, who was behind Lily, said.

Lily gave him a look and he shrugged. “Well, are we going or not?” she asked.

They stood up and made for the exit. It was a beautiful day as they walked towards Hogsmeade village, and there was only a hint of a chill to the air.

Walking along, Marlene and Remus seemed to be in their own little world, hand in hand.

James and Lily, however, were not so lucky, as they were being endlessly teased about something that just wasn't there by Sirius.

"Hey, Emmeline," Sirius said in a loud whisper that James and Lily could most certainly hear, "have you noticed how close Prongs and Lily are getting?"

Emmeline nodded and grinned.

"I wonder how close they really are. You know, behind closed doors."

"Certainly not as close as I am to smacking you," Lily said to Sirius, scowling.

"Oh, c'mon, Lil, it's all in good fun," Sirius said, smiling.

"For you," Lily pointed out.

"We're just giving you a push in the right direction, Lily," Emmeline said.

"If that's the case," Lily said, turning to James, "hey, James, how close do you think Emmeline and Sirius are behind closed doors?"

“I’d say almost on top of each other,” James replied.

"I wish," Sirius joked with a wink towards Emmeline. This, of course, brought on another blush from the blonde girl.

"You are too cruel, Lily Evans," Emmeline muttered with a playful glare, "too cruel."

"You don't like your own medicine, do you?"

"What?"

Lily rolled her eyes. "Muggle phrase."

The group reached the village and decided to first go to The Three Broomsticks, as there was only a couple hours until Remus and Marlene were due to break off from the rest of the group. While there, they chatted about this and that, happily enjoying a day off from the pressures of classes.

When Remus and Marlene left, the four remaining sat and pondered where next to go. "I want to go to Quality Quidditch Supplies," Emmeline, being a beater on the House team, said.

"So do I," Sirius said. He was the second beater.

Lily made a face. She wasn't into Quidditch, although she did go to every game to support Emmeline and the rest of the team.

"I don't really need anything," James said, seeing the look on Lily's face. "So if you two want to go, that's fine."

"Great," Emmeline said, clapping her hands together and dragging Sirius off before Lily could protest at being alone with James.

The two being gone, Lily looked at James. "Was it me or was that just odd?"

James' eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. "It was odd," he agreed. And almost like they wanted us to be left alone, he added mentally.

There was an awkward silence. Desperate to break it, James asked, "So, Lily, where do you want to go?"

Lily, not knowing where to go, shrugged. "Want to just walk around until we find somewhere to go?" she asked. She still felt a tad awkward.

"Sure," James agreed. He stood up and held his hand out for Lily. She took it and stood up, letting go of his hand as soon as she stood. Where are these silly butterflies in my stomach coming from? Perhaps it was something I ate... urg, that would be disgusting.

They walked out of the door, which James held open for Lily, and into the bustling streets.

"I love Hogsmeade," Lily commented suddenly, grinning as they made their way down the street. "It's so full of life and magic."

"It is an all wizarding village," James pointed out.

"The only one in Great Britain," Lily agreed, "but it has more of a magical feel than Hogwarts, don't you think?"

James had to agree. "Yeah," he said.

"Oh! Look, Honeyduke’s! Let's go!" Lily exclaimed, suddenly grabbing James' hand and pulling him into the store. James laughed as he followed.

When they were inside, Lily smiled widely, her eyes twinkling. "I love this store," she said.

Dropping James’ hand and excitedly stepping over to the chocolate display, Lily was like a child in a toy store, or rather, a child in a candy store.

James laughed at her antics. He also made a mental note that Lily loved chocolate. Just in case, of course. "You're like Remus," James noted aloud.

"How so?" Lily asked while grabbing a good few bars of Honeyduke’s Finest.

"He's a chocoholic as well," James said.

Lily grinned. "I love chocolate," she said. "The other girls complain that it ruins one's complexion, but I don't think that that's worth not eating it. I love it too much."

James smiled and continued to watch her as she paid for the mass amount of chocolate that was sure to last her a good few days. When she turned around to leave she smiled again, and James found himself partially mesmerized by that smile which she used to never give him.

"Where to next?" Lily asked, snapping him from his thoughts.

"Wherever you want to go," James said.

"We already went where I want to go. Where do you want to go?"

James pondered for a moment. "We could just walk," he suggested.

"Alright," Lily agreed.

As they walked, the awkward tension seemed to disappear. Lily told James of what her family was like, how she loved her parents, and how she loved her sister, although her sister hated her. James somehow refrained this time from telling Lily that her sister was an idiot, and told her instead about Marauder pranks gone wrong.

"Sirius didn't forgive Peter for a full week," James laughed.

"I don't really blame him. I had wondered why Sirius had been wearing pink robes that day," Lily said, laughing at the memory. "I had thought it was just another joke."

James shook his head. "No, it wasn't meant at all. Sirius just acted like it was to spare himself the humiliation."

Lily smiled. She was having a remarkably good time. "You're a lot more fun than I thought you were," she said.

James frowned slightly. "You thought I was no fun?" he questioned.

"No, I thought you were all the wrong sort of fun," Lily admitted.

"Oh," James said dumbly.

Lily cleared her throat. "So, I told you about my family, what's your family like?"

"I'm the only child, so Mum and Dad are a bit over protective, but I don't mind. They still let Sirius and I pull pranks and such, because they love to laugh. They don't mind as long as nobody gets hurt."

"Is Sirius over at your house a lot?"

"He's lives there now, when we aren't at Hogwarts. He couldn't take living with his family anymore, since they aren't like him. You've met Bellatrix and Regulus. You can see why he was disowned; he‘s nothing like them."

"So you let him live with you?" Lily verified.

"Well, yeah," James said. "Not even Mum and Dad would let him stay with his family."

"I don't blame them, if only by judging his family by Regulus and Bellatrix." She shuddered. "I don't like them."

"They don't like you, either, Lily. You have to be careful around them."

"I can take care of myself," Lily protested.

"I know. But they don't play fair. I don't want to see you get hurt."

Lily couldn't help feeling that James was being adorably sweet. She didn't know how to reply to this, however, and so they walked on in companionable silence.

"It's getting late," James said a little while later. "We ought to get back to the castle."

"Yeah," Lily agreed. Again they lapsed into silence, this time walking towards the school. Lily loved the side of James that she'd seen today- the side of James that took care of his friends, and that loved his parents, and cared for her. She didn't know why the part that cared for her suddenly wasn't obnoxious.

When they reached the common room, Lily turned to James in front of one of the couches. "Thanks, James," she said.

"For what?" he asked.

"I had fun," Lily replied, quickly kissing him on the cheek before turning around and going towards the staircase to the girls' dormitories. "See you at the feast," she called.

James stood, shocked, for several minutes. He was surprised when Sirius came down the stairs leading from the boys' dormitories and waved a hand in front of James' face. "Hello? Earth to James. Feast in five," Sirius said.

James shook himself mentally and grinned. "Yeah," he said. When Sirius had turned around and bounded towards the portrait hold, James put his fingertips to the spot on his cheek where Lily had kissed him. He still felt a tingling sensation. Had that really happened?

Lily came down the stairs, chatting with Marlene and Emmeline, and blushed when she saw James. James dropped his hand and saw her blush. Yes, it had happened.

James smiled at Lily and she returned a shy smile.

Sirius stuck his head back into the common room. "James, are you coming? Remus and Peter are already down there, and I told them we'd be there in five minutes. Come on, we haven't got all day. It's a feast, and we need to be there!" Sirius’s love of food could not be stopped.

James nodded and hurried over to the portrait hole.

Lily, Marlene, and Emmeline followed not far behind. "I swear I saw the weirdest thing a few minutes ago," Emmeline suddenly remarked.

"What did you see?" asked Marlene. "I saw something odd, as well."

"I saw Lily Evans kissing James Potter's cheek. I'm thinking I was seeing things."

Lily blushed furiously.

"No," Marlene said, "I definitely saw it, too."

"How strange," Lily commented.

"Strange indeed," Emmeline said with a grin.

----------

Authors’ Notes: Awww. Please review. :D

Wonders of Winter by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Ten- Wonders of Winter

The feast had gone quite well, if you asked any of the Gryffindor seventh years.

Lily had kissed James on the cheek before the Feast. This, of course, is a friendly gesture. That, though, unfortunately for Lily, is not how Marlene and Emmeline saw it. "Lily Evans," Marlene chastised as the three headed up to their dormitory after the feast, "I thought you said you didn't like James."

"I don't," Lily answered. She didn't, not like that.

Emmeline gave Lily a look. "Of course not," she said, not at all believing Lily.

"Look, a kiss on the cheek doesn't mean anything," Lily pointed out.

"You never kiss anyone on the cheek," Marlene said.

"Well I don't exactly have any guy friends to do that to, do I?"

"What about Sirius and Remus?" Emmeline asked.

"They're different."

"How so?"

"They're... well, they're them."

"James is James," Marlene said.

“And he’s also not Sirius or Remus,” Lily said.

"Remus isn't Sirius or James," Emmeline countered. "Your reasoning is silly. It doesn't make sense."

"Of course it does," Lily said, although she didn't understand it, either.

"Lily, why can't you just admit that you fancy him?"

"Because I don't, we're just friends."

Emmeline scoffed. "Right, Lily, right."

Lily sighed. "I'm going to bed," she muttered. "I don't want to try even more to convince you of the truth."

"We aren't the ones who need convincing, Lily," Marlene said.

Lily rolled her eyes. When she was safe within her four-poster, curtains closed, she flopped onto her back from a sitting position. I don't fancy James, do I? No. I don't.

Right? Erg, how did this happen? How did I go from despising him to possibly fancying him in just a matter of months?

He wasn't all that bad to begin with, was he? It was just me... And now that I know what he's really like, I fancy him? Or do I? I don't know. I don't think I like him. What was it that Emmeline said once? "If you have to wonder about whether or not you like a guy, then you don't like him." Then I don't, because I'm definitely wondering. Good, that's solved then. I do not fancy James Elias Potter.

Lily smiled to herself, glad to be rid of that confusion. What if Emmeline only meant that for people who weren‘t in denial? Am I in denial?

Lily frowned in frustration.

----------

James was deep in thought, a grin on his face as he remembered Lily's kiss. He was walking into the seventh year Gryffindor boys' dormitory when Remus interrupted these thoughts.

"James, is there anything you want to tell us?" Remus asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You have a horribly stupid grin on your face. Almost like the grin you had on after the first time Lily and her friends ate breakfast with us." Sirius said.

"Oh, well, I'm just happy is all," James said.

"Why?" Peter asked with a smirk.

Frank rolled his eyes. "Oh, all of you just stop beating around the bush.” He turned to James. “We all saw Lily Evans kiss you in the common room before the feast."

Sirius pouted. "Frank, you're no fun. I don't know what Alice sees in you."

Frank blushed. "I'm going to ask her to Hogsmeade," he said.

"It's about bloody time," Sirius said.

"You guys saw?" James asked. He hadn't been paying attention to what Frank was saying.

"What?" Peter asked, confused at the sudden turn in conversation.

"Of course we saw, mate. We were watching you and Lily on the map. We were waiting for you to come so that we could go to the feast," Sirius said.

"More like Sirius was waiting so he could feed his stomach," Remus corrected.

"Anyway," Sirius continued with a mock glare at Remus, "we heard a lot of the conversation, too." He grinned. "Thanks, James," he said in a high voice. "For what?" Sirius lowered his voice. "I had fun," he said in the same higher voice.

"If you saw all that, why was it forever until you came to get me?"

"We were as shocked as you were, mate," Sirius said. "I mean, it's not every day Lily Evans kisses James Potter."

James grinned. "It was nice," he said stupidly.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "You're such a sap."

----------

December came upon Hogwarts quickly, and in two weeks there was to be a Hogsmeade trip.

James, in that time, had become horribly confused as to Lily's intention. Had she meant that kiss, (yes, weeks later he still thought constantly on it), as a kiss from a friend or as more? What was he to do about it? Should he do anything about it? Lily hadn't mentioned it again. Maybe she hadn't meant to kiss him. But nothing had been awkward, had it?

"James, it's almost two in the morning, what are you doing awake?" a voice interrupted. It was Remus.

"I could ask you the same," James said.

Remus shrugged. "What're you thinking about?"

"What do you think?" James asked. It was no secret that he constantly thought on Lily.

"Are you asking her to go with you to Hogsmeade?" Remus asked.

James sat abruptly. "Of course not! She'd hate me again."

"How are you ever going to get anywhere with her if you don't ask her out?" Remus asked.

"I don't know," James mumbled.

"Anyway, it isn't as if you have to ask her to be your girlfriend or to go on a date with you. Tell her that it can be as friends, if she'd like."

"I can't tell her that. I can't ask her to go with me. She'd hate me all over again and we'd be back to square one."

"James, don't you know Lily at all by now?" Remus asked.

"Yes," James said.

"Will she hate you if you ask her to Hogsmeade?"

James sighed. "No."

"Why won't you ask her, then?"

"I'm afraid," James admitted. He couldn't ever remember admitting that seriously to anyone before.

"Of what?"

"Being turned down. If she says no, things will get really awkward. I don't want to risk our friendship."

"There can be no rewards without risks."

"Some risks aren't worth taking, though."

"What about the kiss?"

"How do I know it even meant anything?"

"How do you know it didn't mean anything?"

"See, there's the risk again. I can't risk Lily, she means too much to me."

"Do you know what you're risking by not taking this risk?"

"Nothing?"

Remus rolled his eyes. "You're risking missing out on the love of your life."

"How?"

"James, she isn't going to wait around for you forever, if she does fancy you. She'll move on, and you'll have to move on, and you will be without your Lily. She’ll become Mrs. Lily Lockhart or something equally ridiculous."

"Urgh, Lockhart?" James made a face. "That's disgusting."

Remus rolled his eyes again. "It was the first name that came to my head," he said in his defense.

"That doesn't make it any less disgusting."

"Anyway,” Remus continued, “the point I'm trying to make is that without asking her to Hogsmeade, even just as friends, you're risking just as much, if not more, than if you do ask her."

"Why can't this be easy?"

"Since when has winning over Lily ever been easy?" Remus asked.

"Never, but it seems harder now that we're friends. There's more to lose."

Remus nodded in understanding.

"James?” Remus said after a few minutes silence.

“Hmm?”

“You have to ask her.”

James did not answer straight away. His mind was whirling, but he knew Remus was right. "I know," he said.

----------

It was almost midnight, and Lily sat on a couch in the common room, doing her essay for Potions. Well, she was trying to, anyway. She couldn't stop thinking about Halloween. She wasn't even sure what she had meant by the kiss.

As the weeks had passed, Lily had begun doubting herself. She was unsure as to what she felt for James, and whether or not she fancied him. The side that said she didn't was for some reason weakening.

She bent over her notes again. Now was not the time to think on such matters- the essay was due the next day, and that needed to be completed.

She was distracted again, however, by soft footsteps coming from the boys' dormitory stairs.

"Hey, Lily," a voice greeted. It was James.

She smiled. "Hullo." What is he doing here, and up so late?

He wandered over to the couch upon which Lily was seated. He looked horribly pale. I hope I don't screw this up too badly.

"James, are you alright?" Lily asked. "You look sick." And nervous. Why is he nervous? James, why are you nervous?

James tried to grin, but found his mouth wasn't working correctly. Why is this so hard all of a sudden? "I'm fine," he said.

"No, you're not. You look a right state. I'm not blind. Something's wrong, and I can tell," Lily said. Is it me? He's not tired of me, is he?

James blinked. Oh, right. It's hard because she's your friend now. "I think I'm just tired," he lied.

"You've been tired before, and you've never looked like this. You seem nervous. Are you?" Lily asked.

More than I've ever been. "No. I'm not lying, Lily, I'm just tired."

Lily raised a skeptical eyebrow. "If you're sure," she said.

James nodded.

"What are you doing down here, anyway?"

James smirked. "Heard the scratching of your quill. I thought it might've been an owl and came to check. What're you working on?" James's heart pounded.

"Potions," Lily answered. "Did you already do it?"

James grinned. "Yes," he said. "I've been especially careful not to screw up in that class again."

Lily laughed, and the awkwardness seemed to disappear. James came over to the couch and sat next to her.

Suddenly he was nervous again.

"Lily, how do you do it?" he wondered aloud.

"Do what?" Lily asked. He's probably wondering how I keep my hair straight or something silly like that.

"Nothing," he muttered, his face burning. After all, he couldn't exactly answer her with a, "turn me into a nervous wreck," could he?

"James, are you okay?" Lily asked. She put a hand to his forehead. He seems sick. He feels warm. "You feel warm. Maybe you've caught something?"

James's breath caught in his throat at her touch. "No, I'm not sick, honest," James said.

She drew back her hand. "If you're sure," she said, turning back to her work. He's hiding something.

It's now or never, Potter. "There's a Hogsmeade trip this weekend," James said randomly.

"I know," Lily said. "We had to send out Prefect notices, remember?" She didn't turn up from her work, but her heart was pounding. What is he getting at?

"Right," James replied, feeling stupid. "Notices." He paused again. Ask it!

Lily gave James a look. "You're positive you aren't sick? One minute you're pale, the next you're flushed, and you seem to not be remembering certain things."

"I'm not sick," James repeated. "I- I came down here so that I could ask you something."

Lily looked up at James. Is he asking what I think he's asking?

James cleared his throat. "Well, you see, I was just wondering, if you want to that is, if maybe you'd like to, but you don't have to, and it's not as if it would mean anything unless you wanted it to, but if you want to, this weekend, maybe...?"

Lily blinked. "What? I didn't understand at all what you were trying to ask." Yes, I did. Now ask properly, James. Wait! He's asking... oh my... what do I reply? Oh no.

"Lily do you want to go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend? It doesn't have to be a date, or anything, we can go as friends." He held his breath.

What do I answer? Do I say yes? We could go as friends, that's what he said. There's no harm in that. And I liked spending the day with him last time... The corners of Lily's mouth turned up in a smile. "Alright," she said.

James frowned. "That's alright." Then something registered. Alright means yes. "Wait, what did you say?"

Lily chuckled slightly. "Alright," she repeated.

James beamed.

----------

Authors’ Notes: This was a cute chapter. Aw… It also marks the half-way point of CAF. Yes, there are still 9 or 10 chapters left. ;) Well, anyway, we’d really appreciate if you reviewed. Please, please, please review! By the way, we're sorry for the delay. This chapter was rejected thrice, for unknown reasons, as we didn't recieve an email telling us why chapter ten wasn't put up. Hopefully it'll be posted this time, or we'll at least get an email.

A Date? by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Eleven- A Date?

James practically skipped up to his dormitory. She said yes, she said yes! He entered the room and spun around, flopping onto his bed and into sleep with an enormous grin on his face.

"He got into the firewhiskey again, didn't he, Moony?" he heard Sirius hiss to Remus the next morning as he awoke.

James chuckled, rubbed his eyes, and sat up as he remembered the events from the previous night. "No firewhiskey, Pads. She said yes!"

"Who is she?" asked Peter.

"I think only one 'she' saying yes could make James this happy," Remus remarked.

"Alice Kirgenser?" Peter wondered.

"No, you nitwit, Frank fancies her," Sirius said, bopping Peter in the back of the head. "Lily Evans, the girl James has been fawning over for the past few years."

Peter rubbed the back of his head. "Oh," he said.

"I haven't been fawning," James muttered. He did not, however, stop grinning.

"Moony, our resident dictionary, please define 'fawning.'"

"Fawning; to fawn- to exhibit affection or attempt to please, as a dog does by wagging its tail, whining, or cringing. Also, to seek favor or attention by flattery or obsequious behavior. (1)"

"I resent that first definition," Sirius said with a mock glare. "Anyway, is it just me, or is it freaky the way he does that?

"Does what?" Remus wondered aloud.

"You're a walking dictionary. Sirius, being illiterate, finds you frightening," James explained.

Sirius sent a look towards James and sulked.

"So," Remus said after some silence, "what did she say yes to?"

"Hogsmeade," James grinned.

"Really?" Sirius asked, surprised.

James nodded enthusiastically.

"Is it a date?" Remus asked.

"Oh no," James muttered, frowning. "I don't know. I just asked her to go to Hogsmeade with me... I said it could be as friends, if she wanted, but she never said if she wanted that or more..."

"Well, look at it this way, mate," Sirius said, throwing an arm around James's shoulders, "at least she's going with you."

James grinned. "Yeah, she is, isn't she?"

----------

Lily climbed up her stairs, grinning as she entered the dormitory. Her friends looked up. "Hey, Lily," Marlene said in greeting.

"What are you doing up this late?” Lily asked.

"We were waiting for you to finish up," Emmeline said.

"Why?"

"Erm, no reason," Marlene fibbed. In truth, Remus had told her about his and James‘s conversation about asking Lily to Hogsmeade, and Marlene had told Emmeline, and the two had been secretly waiting every time Lily and James were gone for the moment when he would ask her out and she would accept.

Lily raised an eyebrow at Marlene's peculiar 'erm-ing.' "Are you not telling me something?" she asked.

"What took you so long?" Emmeline asked, attempting to change the subject. It worked.

Lily smiled. "James came down to ask me something, is all."

"What did he ask?" Marlene asked.

Lily grinned. "He asked me to Hogsmeade."

"What's new?" Emmeline muttered. "What did you say?"

"I said alright," Lily admitted.

"Oh! My Lilykins is all grown up!" Emmeline said, hugging Lily. "She'll be going on her first date with Jamesie!"

"Well, it's not a date, necessarily..."

"What do you mean?" Marlene asked.

"Well, he said we could go as friends if I wanted, but I'm not sure what I want."

"Lily's in love!" Emmeline squealed.

"Love?" Lily laughed. "I don't think so. I don't even know if I like him for sure, Emm."

"Well, Lily, only you can really decide that," Marlene said.

"Oh, I know," Emmeline said. "It's hypothetical situation time. James gets a girlfriend. She isn't you. How do you feel?"

Lily thought this a bit odd, but answered anyway. "Well... disappointed, I suppose. And I'd want to know what bimbo took my place..."

"Oh, did you hear that, Marlene? Her place. Bimbo taking her place. She likes him."

Lily blushed. “I suppose I might,” she admitted with some amount of effort.

Emmeline squealed again and hugged Lily. (Later she would admit to no such sound, and claim that she engaged in no such squealing.) "I can't believe it, Lils! You're getting over your stubbornness!"

"I wouldn't call it stubbornness," Lily said. "It's more of... an unwillingness to see the good qualities in James."

"Lily, you pretty much defined stubbornness. You do know that, right?" Emmeline asked with a laugh.

Lily grumbled something incoherent and put on a sulky face.

----------

The week passed quickly for both Lily and James, and the day of the Hogsmeade trip arrived.

Eight-o-clock found James nervous and fidgety on a couch in the common room, and Lily hurriedly trying to find a missing shoe.

A few minutes later, Lily, extrememly nervous and self-conscious, made her way into the common room. James looked up and grinned, although it seemed to be more of a grimace due to his nerves.

James offered his arm and Lily smiled. The two walked in an awkward silence down to the main entrance. As they left the school and wandered onto the snow covered grounds, James cleared his throat. "So, how are you?" he asked.

"Very well," Lily said, smiling.

James felt somewhat reassured by this answer. "That's good," he said. "I used to get answers like, 'better before you came, Potter,' when I asked that question."

Lily grimaced. "I'm sorry," she said.

"What for?" James was confused.

"For being so mean to you. I refused to see how mature you've become, and that was stupid of me."

James shoved her playfully with a chuckle. "It doesn't matter. Forget about it, it's in the past."

Lily smiled and put her arm back in his as they continued to Hogsmeade, the tension dissipating as they walked.

"So, where to, Miss Evans?" James asked when they reached the village.

"Well, how about that new tea shop? Madam Puddifoot's, I believe it's called. Have you been there?"

"When would I have gone?" James asked, amused. The shop had been put in just weeks ago.

Lily blushed. "Well, I don't know, you're a rebel, aren't you? I wouldn't be surprised if you've sneaked into Hogsmeade before."

James grinned. "I'm offended that you'd think that," he said, "but Madam Puddifoot's it is."

They walked down to the shop, and upon entering, they found the shop was completely covered in pink, frill, and hearts. "This is repulsive," Lily whispered into James's ear.

James chuckled. "Let's at least stay and see if the tea is good," he whispered back.

Lily smiled. "Sounds like a plan," she said.

They took a seat near the wall, and soon a woman, who Lily assumed was Madam Puddifoot, came to their table. "What'll it be for such a cute young couple?" she asked pleasantly.

Lily and James both blushed at the term 'couple,' but neither corrected it.

Each ordered, and while Madam Puddifoot went to collect their order, Lily felt something needed to be brought up. "James," she started, "is this a date?"

"What do you want it to be?" he asked her.

"I don't know," she answered truthfully, with another blush.

James blinked. He'd expected her to say something about them being there as friends. "Well, are we friends or on a date? Which would you rather?"

"I'm not sure," Lily said, feeling silly.

"Well, then we're friends on a date," James said, laughing slightly.

Lily smiled. "Alright," she said.

The orders came, and the two drank and conversed easily, about everything from school ("NEWTs are only seven months away, you know.") to Quidditch ("How can you not love it?") to the weather.

When the two finally left, James was hit with a sudden idea. He grinned.

"Hey, Lily," he said, grabbing her hand, and pulling her to a nearby bench, "you sit here. I'll be right back. Don't turn around."

Lily smiled. "What are you going to do?"

"It's a surprise," James said, and with that he hurried off.

Five minutes later, James returned, laden with bags from Honeydukes. "Sweets for the sweet," he said, handing her a box of chocolate. "And there's more, for when that's gone."

Lily grinned and pounced on him with a hug in excitement, causing him to laugh.

The two wandered around talking and laughing for a couple hours before stopping at the Three Broomsticks for a quick and late, (where had the time gone?) lunch.

Having seen many of the shops already, Lily and James then decided to head back to the school and spend time in the common room. The two were walking hand in hand when suddenly Lily stopped, dropped James hand, turned around and bent down. "Lily, what're you doing?" he asked.

She stood up and faced him. "My shoelace was untied," she said. James looked at the offending lace and ended up with a face full of snow.

"Lily!" he yelled as she ran away giggling. He laughed. "I'll get you back!"

James scooped up some snow and ran after Lily, who was seeking refuge behind a tree. She squatted down to quickly compose another snowball. She squealed at the sight of James, and a snowball, approaching, and ran around the tree, followed closely by James.

Three dizzy times around the tree later, James caught Lily around the waist. She turned, knocked his snowball out of his hand, and hit him in the face with hers. This, of course, caused James to let her go, and she ran off laughing again.

Not hearing James behind her, Lily turned to see if he was following. She saw that he was kneeling on the ground, bent over so that she could not see his face. Had she hurt him? She hurried back to check.

James didn’t turn at the sound of her footsteps in the snow, worrying Lily further. She put her hand on his shoulder to see if he was alright.

With a cackle, James jumped up and put a fistful of snow down the back of Lily’s coat.

“Cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold,” she chanted as she wriggled and hopped about, trying to rid herself of the offending substance.

James, meanwhile, was laughing his head off. Revenge was sweet indeed. Lost in his laughter, he failed to notice Lily charging toward him until he was tackled onto the ground.

A few moments of rolling around later, James was able to stand up. He hauled Lily up and over his shoulder. She kicked her legs about playfully at first and pounded on his back, but James did not let go. He laughed and carried her into the building.

“I think I win,” he said.

Lily grumbled and trickled the snow that still clung to her gloves down James’s shirt. James started at the sudden coldness, and shivered, but refrained from anything else in order to keep hold of his cargo.

When they reached Gryffindor tower, he put the red-faced Lily onto the ground. Her thoughts about how strong James must be to carry her up the many flights of steps into the common room left her mind as she looked up at him and grinned.

“That was fun,” she said.

He smiled. “We should do it again some time. What do you say, Evans?”

“Sure, Potter,” she laughed, kissing him on the cheek and walking back upstairs to the girls’ dormitories.

When she was out of earshot, James jumped up with an enthusiastic, “Yes!”

----------

“Hey, look,” Sirius pointed out, “there go Lily and James.” He, Remus, Peter, Marlene, and Emmeline had decided to spend the day together in Hogsmeade and to generally stay away from Lily and James. However, as the two began walking out of the village, this was becoming increasingly harder.

“I want to see what they’ll do on their own,” Emmeline said.

“Me too,” voiced Peter, who was always quick to agree with someone other than himself.

“It’s not really right, spying on them,” Remus started.

“Ah, but they’re in full view, so how is it spying? Anyone could happen upon such scenes as will be portrayed, and it would only be Lily and Prongs’s fault for being obvious,” Sirius argued.

Remus rolled his eyes, but the group consented to go up to Gryffindor tower and ‘accidently’ see the happenings between their friends.

Ten minutes later they were watching James and Lily romp about in a snowball fight from the common room window.

“It’s cute, isn’t it?” Marlene asked.

“Unbelievable, I think. I didn’t think James would end up with Lily,” Emmeline said.

“Why not? Have you no faith in your friends?” Sirius asked.

“I have more faith in Lily’s stubbornness than James’s luck,” she said.

Peter giggled. When they all simply stared at him and the unnaturalness of such a giggle, however, he stopped.

“Anyway,” Emmeline said to break the silence, “Lily and James are rolling around together.”

Sirius laughed in a French sort of way and raised his eyebrows up and down suggestively.

“Never thought I’d see the day,” Emmeline said with a sigh. “They’re lucky to have each other.”

“They sort of remind me of Moony and Marlene, though,” Sirius said with a false gag.

Remus rolled his eyes, and decided to take Marlene’s hand in his, only partially to tick Sirius off. Marlene flicked Sirius in the back of the head.

“Ow,” he said.

Marlene grinned. “Well, I’d say Operation: Flower for Prongs is a success, wouldn’t you?” she asked.

“They aren’t dating yet,” Emmeline pointed out.

“Ah, but I think they will be in time.”

----------

Authors’ Notes: First, we’d like to apologize for the horribly long delay in getting this chapter up. We're having some issues with mugglenet, unfortunately. That said, please, review.

(1) Definition for ‘fawning’ provided by dictionary.com.

Loss by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Twelve- Loss

The day after their Hogsmeade visit, Lily and James had patrol duties around the halls. Lily found herself laughing and smiling at nearly everything, her mood was so great. She'd had a wonderful day, and the previous day had been even better. She was even entertaining the idea that her feelings for James were growing into more than friendship, now. Life was good. Nothing could go wrong. Or so she thought. Fate has a twisted sense of humor.

Footsteps entered the sounds in the hallway; footsteps belonging to neither James nor Lily. Fully prepared to give out a detention, both were surprised when it wasn't a student who entered their view.

"Ah, Ms. Evans, if you could follow me, please, the Headmaster would like a word. Mr. Potter, come along as well, it is unsafe for you to be out in the corridors alone," Professor McGonagall said grimly. She looked at Lily and for a moment it seemed as though the Professor was going to cry. It was only a moment, however, as she turned and walked toward the headmaster's office. "Come now," she said briskly.

“Why is it unsafe?” James asked, confused. Since when was it unsafe to walk in the school?

“Voldemort, a new Dark Lord, is gaining power and followers. They are beginning to attack towns and villages. We cannot risk being in the hallways alone. He may choose the school to attack next."

“I thought this ‘Dark Lord’ was just some lunatic who doesn’t like muggle-borns,” James said. He had heard about this psychopath. Who hadn’t? But he hadn’t thought that there was anything to worry about.

“The lunatic part is what we’ve most to fear. We’ve been putting up new wards, just in case. Now hurry up, the Headmaster is waiting.”

The two Heads followed silently, each wondering what they were going to be told.

I hope everything is alright, Lily thought.

I hope everything's alright...

They reached a statue of a gargoyle. "Chocolate frogs," McGonagall said to the statue. It opened to reveal a slowly spinning staircase. "Ms. Evans," Professor McGonagall said, gesturing that she should follow. They headed up the stairs, James following.

At the top, Dumbledore's office greeted them. The aged Professor looked grim. "Ah, Minerva, Ms. Evans, Mr. Potter, come in," he said.

"Please, all of you, sit down." They sat. "Ms. Evans," he said gravely, "I'm afraid that I have to be the bearer of bad news."

Lily's heart pounded.

"Earlier today, there was an attack in Little Whinging-" he started.

"Are my parents alright? My sister? Oh no," she said, realizing something. "That's why you called me here, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid that your parents have been killed by Death Eaters, the followers of Voldemort."

"Petunia?" she asked.

"She wasn't home. At a friends house, she was, or so I'm told. We have people contacting her."

Lily nodded dumbly. She felt numb. Her parents, dead? No, that couldn’t be possible. But it was.

"I believe your rounds are over. Mr. Potter, if you could please escort Miss Evans to your common room. She needs not attend classes tomorrow."

James nodded. He looked at Lily, who was staring off into space, seemingly in shock. It appeared she hadn't heard professor Dumbledore.

"Lil," he said softly, tugging gently at her hand, "let's go." She nodded blankly and let him lead her down the spiral staircase toward Gryffindor tower.

They walked silently, and when they finally reached the portrait hole, (still holding hands, though James doubted that Lily noticed), it was James who muttered the password. He led her in toward the girls' staircase.

Lily was still silent. James was worried out of his mind for her. "Lily," he said tentatively, "will you be alright?"

Lily didn't look at him. It was a few moments before she replied, "Mum and Dad's anniversary is coming up." She was gazing at the ground. "It would’ve been the twenty-five year mark."

James didn't know what to say. He let her continue.

"They never reached it," she continued, backing toward the couch until she sat down, and putting her head in her hands. "And now they'll never reach it."

James sat down next to Lily and put a hand on her shoulder in support.

As if she had been waiting for that, she turned and buried her head in James’s shoulder, wrapping her arms around his neck. "They're gone," he heard her mutter. The realization hit her hard, then, and she started to sob violently, clutching the material of his shirt. “James, they’re gone.”

James pulled her into a hug and soon felt tears going through his shirt at his shoulder. He ran his hand down her hair in a soothing manner, and murmured words of comfort as she cried.

“Shh, Lil. It’ll be alright.”

“They’re gone. They’re never going to wait for me at the train station, they aren’t going to be there for me to show my NEWTs to, they won’t be there, James. They’re gone. They aren’t going to be there for my wedding, or my first job, or anything. They’re gone,” she sobbed.

“They aren’t gone, Lily. They’re still here, in your heart.”

“That’s the corniest thing I’ve ever heard,” Lily mumbled through tears.

“It’s meant to help,” he said, still stroking his hand through her hair.

“James, my mum and dad are… they’re dead,” Lily said. “They’re gone. What’ll Petunia say?”

“It doesn’t matter what she says,” James said to her, pulling her closer. “What’s important is that you still have each other.”

“She’ll wish I’d died instead,” Lily whispered, but James heard her, and anger filled his heart. Anger at Voldemort and his Death Eaters for doing this to Lily, anger at Petunia for not being the sister that Lily deserved, anger at the world for breaking his Lily’s heart. But he did not let her see his anger. It was not what she needed. Instead, he held her while she cried.

Eventually, her sobs subsided somewhat, and her grip on his shirt loosened until her hands simply rested near his shoulders. He still held onto her.

When she was calmed enough, James said gently, "Lily, you should get some sleep." He didn't want to leave her, but he didn't think she'd want to remain, and he couldn't go into the girls' dormitories.

She nodded but didn't move.

"Lil," he started, but she cut him off.

"I can't go up there."

"Why not?" James asked, perplexed.

"They'll ask questions. I don't want to answer questions," she said, and her eyes filled as her shoulders began to shake again.

He pulled her into a protective hug again. "Take my bed, then, I'll stay down-"

"No, they'll ask questions to," she said between sobs. “More, actually.”

"I don't want to leave you alone down here, though," James admitted. He wanted her safe in her dormitory.

"I don't want you to," she said, so quietly that he almost didn't hear her. "Please don't leave me. I don't want to tell anyone, but you already know. Please don't leave me.

James felt pulls at his heart as she said this. He wouldn’t leave her, not ever, if he could help it. “I’ll take the chair, you can have the couch,” James said.

Lily shook her head. “You’re taller. I’ll take the chair.” James opened his mouth to say he’d be fine with the chair, but Lily cut him off before he began. “Don’t argue,” she said.

He took the couch.

She curled up in the chair. She could not sleep, however.

James could no more sleep than she, so worried was he about Lily. He watched her as she curled up and stared off into space, wishing that this had not happened to her. She didn’t deserve it.

Lily finally came to a decision and stood up, wandering over to the couch James was on. James watched her. He could tell what she needed as she stood over him, and he scooted over to the inside of the couch. Lily laid down next to him, and he wrapped an arm around her as she put her head on his shoulder.

“G’night, Lily,” James whispered. She was already asleep.

----------

When James awoke the next morning, he was surprised to find a strange warm weight on his chest. Looking down, he saw red hair. The previous night's events came back to him and he felt his heart pull. This was all so unfair to Lily.

The next thing James noticed, upon looking up, was that he was surrounded by the smug faces of Sirius, Remus, Peter, Marlene, and Emmeline. This brought an irrational anger upon James. How could they stand there and smile those smiles like everything was okay?

James glared at the five with a glare that could only be described as deadly. "There's nothing to smile about here," he hissed, trying his best to keep his voice down so that Lily could continue to sleep.

"Oh, I don't know, Prongs," said Sirius, not catching James's anger.

“No, you don’t know! What do you think Lily has been through? And here you stand, smiling, like the world is okay, when her heart is broken! Just leave her be!”

"James, what happened?" Marlene asked. She was no longer grinning.

James did not answer right away. Looking at the sleeping form of Lily in his arms, he felt like it would be better not to. What if she woke up and heard? That would make it even more real to her.

"James, please tell us," Emmeline pleaded. "We're her best friends."

James took in a breath and looked at Lily. "They killed her parents," he said. "The followers of that Dark Lord, Voldemort. Killing curse, most likely. They're dead."

Emmeline put her hands over her mouth and Marlene turned to hug Remus. "How could they?" Emmeline wondered aloud, eyes wide. She started to reach out to Lily, wanting to hug the poor girl.

"Leave her be," James all but growled.

"James, she's my friend," Emmeline said, offended. "I have a right to comfort her."

"She won't need comforting if you let her sleep," he reasoned. After a moment he said, "Let her sleep. Let her be."

Sirius was unnaturally silent through the whole ordeal. He chose to speak now, however. "James, get upstairs and get ready, you'll be late for class."

"I'm not going," he said.

"You have to."

"Lily will need someone when she wakes up."

"James, you need to come to classes," Remus said.

"What for? What good would it do?" James glared at his friends.

Sensing defeat, Sirius and Remus left on their own. Marlene and Emmeline, more reluctant, stayed.

A few minutes later Marlene sniffled. "Emm, we have to go. Lily wouldn't want us to miss class. We'll check on her at lunch."

Emmeline nodded and the two made their way to the portrait hole. "James, you should go to class, you know," Marlene said as they started out.

James did not respond.

----------

Lily woke up feeling unnaturally heavy. She opened her eyes and saw James. Everything she'd learned last night- her parents' deaths, that they were attacked, that they were gone- came rushing back to her and she curled up against James and began to sob again.

James rubbed her back and whispered words of comfort, much as he had the previous night. Lily was calmed faster this time.

A while later, she finally croaked out, "What time is it?"

James looked at his watch. "Ten-thirty," he said.

Lily sat up. "James, why aren't you in classes?"

"I wanted to stay with you," he answered truthfully. "I need to be here for you."

Lily was touched, to say the least. She hugged him. "I'll be fine, go to classes," she said.

"But Lily, I don't want to leave y-"

"James, what'll people say if neither Head shows up to classes? Get to class. Go."

James sighed. "Lily, who cares what people say? We can say we needed a meeting-"

"Go to class, James," Lily said, pulling away from him.

James saw the look in her eyes and knew her mind was made up. He reluctantly got up, changed, and went to classes.

During every break between classes, James came down and visited Lily. He was late to each of his classes that morning.

At lunch he again came down, this time with Emmeline and Marlene, who each hugged Lily and looked at her with sad expressions. James sat nearby, simply watching. His being there was enough for Lily. He didn't have to say anything for her to know that he cared, and that he was there for her. For this, Lily was grateful.

James was late to all of his afternoon classes, as well. Lily half-heartedly scolded him, but she knew she would've had a harder time if not for him being there.

She'd somehow managed to pull herself together when he came, so that he would get to his classes on time. During classes, however, Lily found herself in tears most of the time. She felt so lost without her parents.

----------

James finally had his last class and came back to the common room, where Lily was still curled up on the couch. This was James's free time, as he didn't have a class as the rest of his friends did. Lily looked up at James and he weakly smiled and came to sit next to her.

She sat up and put her head on his shoulder. "Thanks James," she said.

"For what?"

"Being here. Telling my friends, so that I wouldn't have to. I really appreciate that."

"It's what friends do, Lil," James said, putting his arm around her shoulders as if to emphasize the point.

This earned a small smile from Lily and James felt a hundred times better for it. Lily needed to smile. That was what he'd decided he'd do- he'd help her through this. After all, how could he not.

Lily turned slightly and hugged James.

It was a long while before either of them got up. It was even longer before Lily convinced James that she'd be fine sleeping on her own that night in her dormitory.

But she wasn’t fine. She cried herself to sleep.

----------

Authors’ Notes: That was a really hard chapter to write. Please review, and tell us how we did.

Always by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Thirteen- Always

Blur.

That was the past two days.

Blur.

"Lily, are you ready to go?" Emmeline asked Lily.

"What?" Lily asked, slightly startled. She had been lost in her thoughts.

"To the funeral," Emmeline said gently, putting a hand on Lily's shoulder.

"Oh, right," Lily trailed off.

Emmeline sighed. "I'll go get Marlene," she said, briefly squeezing Lily‘s shoulder reassuringly.

Lily nodded, but did not say anything in reply. They were due to leave in five minutes by floo, and each of them was dressed in the fancy black clothes that plague funerals.

"Lily!" someone called.

She turned. It was James. "What are you doing?" she asked, noticing that he, too, was dressed up in black.

"I'm going with you," he said.

"James, you don't have to. You've done enough already." Lily started shaking her head, looking at her shoes. Mum bought me these shoes. She felt her eyes tearing up.

"I know, Lil, but I'm going anyway," James said, determination in his voice.

Lily nodded, not up to arguing. It was at this moment that Emmeline and Marlene appeared.

"Oh, are you going too?" Marlene asked.

James nodded, but he didn't reply. His concern was with Lily.

"We have to go now," Emmeline said.

Lily stepped forward and took some floo-powder. "Number Four, Privet Drive," she said, and she felt the familiar twirling sensation as she was whisked back home. She stepped into the living room, which, thankfully, held no relatives or Muggles.

Emmeline, Marlene, and finally James followed. It was then that Lily realized why no one was in the living room.

She turned and buried her head into James's chest. She didn't want to look at the scorch marks on the walls. They died here. Dad was probably reading the paper and Mum was sitting, enjoying the silence.

James wrapped a comforting arm around Lily and looked around the room. Marlene and Emmeline stared at the walls in disgust. Life was incredibly unfair.

It was Marlene who finally herded them into another room. "Lily, how are we getting to the church?" Marlene asked.

Lily blinked. She hadn't thought about that. "I really don't kn-"

"Lily! Oh, dear, we're so sorry about your loss," said a voice as a woman with very large, very orange hair hugged Lily.

"Aunt Cindy. It's nice to see you again," Lily said. She thought quickly. They needed a ride, and here was her only single relative with a vehicle large enough for four extra passengers. "Could you drive the four of us to the church when the time comes, do you think?" she asked politely, not expecting a yes. Aunt Cindy had never liked Lily all that much.

"Oh, of course, dear," Aunt Cindy replied, spotting James and smiling. "Who's this handsome young man? Your boyfriend?"

"I'm James Potter, just a friend. Nice to meet you," James said, offering a hand.

Cindy took and shook it. "Very polite. I'll see you all in a bit, then," she said, grinning at James. She looked to Lily. "Oh, and Lily, don't fret. In the end, all will be well," she added, not seeming to mean it.

Lily nodded. She'd been doing a lot of nodding that day. Suddenly she thought of something. “Oh, do you happen to know where Petunia is?”

“No, no, she’s where Petunia is, but I don’t know where that is,” Cindy said, walking off.

"That was frightening," Emmeline whispered.

"That was Aunt Cindy," Lily said. "She never liked Dad much, and liked Mum even less. I'm surprised she agreed to drive us, actually." She didn't mention that she thought she'd only said yes because of James.

“By the way she was looking at James, I’m not surprised at all,” Emmeline said with a mischievous grin.

James had the decency to blush.

"When are we leaving?" Marlene asked Lily.

Lily glanced at her watch. "Fifteen minutes from now. We'll go to the church, they'll say some words, we'll go to the burial site, we'll come back here for a bit then go back to school." Lily finally looked up at her friends, all of whom looked at her in understanding. "I can't thank you all enough for coming. It really means a lot," she said quietly.

Emmeline and Marlene pulled her into a hug and James stood by watching and offering a small smile.

"Oh, Lily, of course we're here for you," Marlene said. "That's what friends do."

Emmeline nodded in agreement. "We wouldn't leave you to this alone."

The next fifteen minutes passed slowly. Relative after relative came over to Lily. They seemed to all say the same thing. "I'm sorry for your loss, dear." "It'll get better in time, I'm sorry that they're gone." "Oh, you look just like your mother. I am sorry for your loss." "Oh, darling, you'll be well in time. It gets easier."

When the four finally climbed into Aunt Cindy's car, it was silent. Lily, it was obvious, did not want to talk, and her friends were respecting this.

As the car started out of the drive, however, it was evident that Aunt Cindy had no such respect. "So, James, how is it that you know our Lily?"

Lily almost gagged. Our Lily? Oh, please. The woman only came to family get-togethers for the food. Lily scowled.

"We go to the same school," James replied.

"Oh, do you? What's it like at your school?"

Lily paled considerably. What would he say? He knew nothing about the workings of a Muggle school.

"It's magical," James said with a grin.

Lily gave James an odd look and he shrugged while Aunt Cindy chuckled. "And how did you become friends with our Lily? Was she attracted by your dashingly good looks?"

"Actually, we're both the Heads of the school this year, and it was only through that that we became friends."

"Well, she must have been blind, then," Aunt Cindy chuckled.

"There's more to making a friend than their looks," Emmeline growled, also scowling.

"Of course, dear," Aunt Cindy replied.

The rest of the ride was silent.

Once inside the church, Lily, James, Marlene, and Emmeline found a pew and sat down. James was to Lily's right, and Marlene was to her left. Emmeline sat on Marlene's other side.

Lily stared into space as they waited for the speeches to begin. James put his arm around her shoulders in a friendly gesture of comfort, and she leaned into him gratefully. Emmeline raised an eyebrow at Marlene, who shrugged. Lily seemed content, and that was all that mattered.

Soon the ceremony began. Words were said about Lily's parents by several different people. Lily didn't pay attention to any of them. Her thoughts kept wandering to her childhood. They wandered to hot summer days and cold ice cream cones with Daddy. They wandered to trying out new hairstyles with Mummy. They wandered to receiving an owl, inviting her to Hogwarts, and her parents' proud faces. They wandered and wandered and her tears fell. Tears which she thought would've by now dried out.

The ceremony ended and all exited the church in a procession to the nearby cemetery. Again, words were said, and again, Lily cried. Still, James stood by, with Emmeline and Marlene on her other side.

Each person dropped a flower onto the caskets. All were white roses, except for two. There was one petunia, and one lily.

The ride back to Lily's childhood house was silent, save for the sniffles of Aunt Cindy caused by what Lily was sure were crocodile tears. Crocodile tears which were causing Cindy's huge amount of make-up to run, making her look even more frightening than normal. Lily was not thinking about this, however. She was wondering where her sister was. She hadn't seen Petunia at all that afternoon.

When they got to the house, the first thing Lily decided to do was to look for Petunia. After all, the two had to stick together now. Their mum and dad were gone.

It wasn't long before Lily found Petunia. "Pet!" she called, running over to the girl. She'd grown a bit taller. Her blond hair was pulled back, and her black dress seemed to make her long neck even longer with its low cut. "Pet, I've been looking for you all afternoon," Lily said. "How're you doing?"

Petunia glared at Lily. "How do you expect?" she spat.

Lily let it go. After all, she was grieving. "I'm not doing too well, either," she confessed.

"I'm surprised you even came. I thought you'd be celebrating," Petunia said viciously.

"What?" Lily asked. What is she talking about?

"It's your fault they're dead! You and your... your freakishness! If it hadn't been for you and your kind, Mum and Dad would still be here! How could you? Didn't you love them at all?" Petunia cried.

"Of course I did," said Lily, stunned and crying, yet again. Honestly, how could Petunia speak like this?

"Ha! They could never stop talking about you, you know! It was always, "Perfect Lily this," and, "Perfect Lily that," they were so proud of you! And you went and got them killed!"

"I swear, Pet, I didn't want this to happen. I love Mum and Dad just as much as you do. How can you even think that?"

"Murderer!"

"No, it wasn't like that! I didn't plan their deaths, I didn't kill them! No one wanted this to happen, Petunia, how can you say these things?"

"Leave! I don't want you here anymore! Get out of my house!" Petunia screeched.

And Lily left, running, with tears streaming from her eyes. Her own sister thought that it was her fault that her parents were dead...

James, Emmeline, and Marlene had all watched the scene in disgust.

"How dare you?" Emmeline asked, the anger rather evident in her tone. "It wasn't at all her fault, and you know it! You disgust me!"

"Emmeline," chided Marlene, laying a hand on Emmeline's shoulder, "stop it."

"I will NOT stop it! This... this idiot has never once stopped trying to ruin Lily's life! Every time we're here, she looks at us like we're scum of the earth, and calls us and Lily freaks! This is not right, Marlene!"

"I know," Marlene said, "but you can't just go off on her like this, she's just a Mug-"

"Don't you utter that freakish nonsense in my house!" Petunia screeched. "You may think you're smart and powerful, but I know what you are! You're freaks! All of you! Get out of my house!"

Marlene glared. "Gain a little respect, wench," she said.

"Get out of my house!"

"Oh, go throw yourself off a cliff. But make it a low cliff, so you break a few bones but don't kill yourself. Lily doesn't need to attend another funeral. And she would attend yours, and she'd mourn your loss, which is more than I can say for you if Lily died!"

Emmeline grinned. "Way to go, Marlene," she said proudly.

"Get out of my house!"

"Gladly," Marlene said, she and Emmeline both glaring at the enraged woman. With that, they left.

"Hey, where's James?" Emmeline asked after a moment.

"He probably went to find Lily instead of murdering Petunia. Smart lad, sometimes, eh?"

----------

Lily ran until she reached a nearby park and collapsed on a swing. Petunia probably hated her. Petunia hated her for the deaths of their parents.

Maybe... maybe it was her fault. If she hadn't been at Hogwarts... but the attack, wasn't it random? It was on the entire neighborhood...

"Lily?" a voice interrupted her thoughts. It was James's voice.

She looked up at him. "It's my fault, isn't it James?" she asked, tearfully.

James's expression became angry. Damn that sister of hers. "No," he said forcefully. He took Lily's hand and led her off of the swing and onto a nearby bench. They sat down. "It is not your fault, Lily. Not at all.

"But if I had just told them about the Death Eaters, or let them know to be on the look out they could've-"

"Could've what, Lily? Even if they knew, there was nothing they could've done. Not against the bastards that came. Not against the curses and the magic."

"But if they had just known, they could've found somewhere more safe and-"

"Lily, there isn't anywhere safe! Not any more. It's not your fault they're gone!"

"I should've been here. If I hadn't gone to Hogwarts, I-"

"Would've been dead, too, Lily. Muggles don’t stand a chance against them."

"If Daddy'd been ready with a gun, if I had just told them about the evil-"

"Lily, you didn't know! You didn't know and that's okay because it's not your fault! Don't do this to yourself! They would not want you to blame yourself!"

"I know it's just... God, James, I miss them so much," Lily said, breaking down again.

James pulled her into a hug. "I know, Lil. I know."

----------

"Where could they be?" Emmeline asked.

"Well, where do we know that Lily would go if she was upset?"

"There's a park nearby, right? She always likes to go to those sorts of places. Like she goes to the lake at Hogwarts."

"C'mon, I think I remember where it is," Marlene said.

The two made their way around the neighborhood, finally finding the park, and, thankfully, Lily. Lily, who had apparently already been found by James.

James was holding her as she cried.

"I'm glad she's got him," Marlene said.

Emmeline nodded in agreement. "She's got us, too," she said.

"Always."

----------

Authors’ Notes: First off, hope you enjoyed!

Secondly, we’d like to apologize on our lack of knowledge on funerals. I’ve been to a few, the most recent of which was only two years ago, but I wasn’t exactly taking notes on the workings of a funeral.

And also, please review?

Christmas at the McKinnon's by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Fourteen- Christmas at the McKinnon’s

As the year entered its last month, Lily, with much support from her friends, seemed to be approaching recovery from her grief and loss. She was getting back into her normal self, although she still remained quiet, preferring thinking to speaking.

Her return to normalcy was disturbed, however, by the delivery of a not-so-kind letter from Petunia a week or so before the school was to be let out for the holidays.

Freak,

With the holidays coming up, I’d like to let you know that you aren’t welcome here. Don't you dare think of coming home, I'm having a special friend spend the holidays with me, and I won't have you and your freakishness disturbing me! Remember, I can call the police, and I’ll have you taken away. Find some other place to spend the holidays. I hope you spend them unhappy. And anyway, Mum and Dad wouldn't want their murderer over for Christmas dinner, so stay away.

-The Loving Daughter,

Petunia

Lily stared at the letter and tried not to cry. It's not my fault, she thought, trying to re-convince herself.

"Lily, what's wrong?" James asked, catching the upset look on her face.

Lily wordlessly handed the letter to James, who read it. Emmeline and Marlene read over his shoulder.

"Oh, Lily," Marlene said, coming around to hug her, "don't listen to what she says. She's speaking nonsense. She just needs someone to blame, and her jealousy of you caused her to blame you."

Lily began to cry. She often did that. She'd work on not crying, and as soon as someone showed caring she wouldn't be able to hold the tears back any longer.

James took her hand in his and held it, not saying anything. Lily correctly suspected that it was because whatever James had to say was not particularly nice and was referring to Petunia.

He gave her hand a light squeeze and she leaned over on the couch they were both sitting on to place her head on his shoulder. Emmeline and Marlene stood by, and Remus and Sirius were not far off.

Lily sniffled and wiped her eyes with her free hand. "I suppose I'll stay here for the holidays," she said.

"Of course you won't," Marlene said. "You'll come home with me and spend Christmas at my house. Mum won't mind. Emmeline's coming, too, since her Mum and Dad are going to America for business."

Lily looked down at her feet. "I don't want to be a burden," she said.

"Lily, you could never be a burden. We love you and you're going to spend Christmas with us," Emmeline said.

Lily smiled weakly. "Thanks," she said.

"That's what we're here for," Marlene pointed out.

"I'll be back later, Lil," James suddenly said, feeling as if he was intruding. "I have to finish an essay." He gently kissed her temple and stood to walk away. "I'll talk to you later?"

Lily nodded and James left.

Emmeline and Marlene took the seats on the couch that James had vacated.

"He's been so wonderful," Lily said when he was out of ear shot. “You all have been.”

"We really care about you, Lily," Marlene said. James cares more than I think he even knows.

"I don't know what I would've done these past few weeks without you," Lily admitted. "Floundered about in hopeless depression, possibly."

Neither Emmeline nor Marlene knew what to respond to this, and so Lily continued. "Thank you, so much, for just being here to let me know there's someone to turn to."

Emmeline smiled. "That's what we're here for, Lily," she said softly.

----------

"I hope Lily's alright," James said. It wasn't the first time, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. He, Sirius, and Remus were sitting in James's room on Christmas Eve.

"I'm sure she's fine," Remus said. "She's got Marlene and Emmeline and they wouldn't let her have an unhappy holiday."

"I know," James said, sighing in frustration. "I just... I don't know, I'm so... she's all I can think about! Her parents died, and it almost sent her into depression, and I just… it scared me."

"James, she's fine," Sirius said. “Stop worrying so much.”

James looked down and blushed. "I can't help it," he said in his defense. I love her. He was almost startled by this thought. After becoming friends with Lily, he'd managed to shove such thoughts to the back of his mind. She was his friend, and he felt all would work out better if he was to think of her as only that. She wouldn't feel pressured, and he wouldn't feel that empty hole that could only be filled by their becoming more than friends.

"Do you want to see her tomorrow?" Remus asked.

"What?" James said, startled from his thoughts.

"Do you want to see her tomorrow? Marlene invited us to her house for Christmas evening, and we can go and see the girls if you'd like."

"Moony, why didn't you tell me this sooner?" James exclaimed.

"He enjoys seeing you squirm and worry," Sirius teased. "Although I can't imagine why," he muttered.

James shot a glare and a roll of the eyes in Sirius's direction. "We'll go, right?" he asked.

Remus nodded. "I told Marlene we would already."

James grinned.

----------

"Remus, James, and Sirius are coming tomorrow," Marlene remarked as she, Lily, and Emmeline sat in Marlene's room wrapping gifts.

"What?" Lily asked, surprised. Also surprised, Emmeline dropped the spellotape she'd been holding.

"Marlene, why didn't you tell us?" Emmeline grumbled.

"I thought it would be a nice surprise," Marlene said, grinning mischievously.

Emmeline playfully shoved Marlene in retaliation.

----------

Lily could hardly sleep that night. She couldn't wait to see James. Although it hadn’t quite been a week since they'd been home from school, (Marlene's family was wonderful), she missed him terribly. That thought alone startled and scared her. She'd never before realized how much she enjoyed his presence, his silly hair, and his caring nature.

She rolled over, thanking her lucky stars that she'd gotten James a Christmas present, and not knowing that James was doing much the same.

----------

Despite her lack of sleep, Lily awoke quite early on Christmas day. She found herself anxious for the arrival of the boys, and bored at just lying in bed. She threw pillows at Marlene and Emmeline. "Happy Christmas," she said cheerily as they awoke.

"Happy Christmas my arse," Emmeline grumbled. "Lily it's only six in the morning..."

"I know," Lily said.

"Isn't that a bit too early?" Marlene asked.

"Yes... but I couldn't sleep."

"So that means we can't, either?"

"Nope," Lily said, grinning.

"Why are you up this early, anyway?" Marlene questioned.

"Um, I don't know," Lily lied. Of course she knew. She was very nervous for James's arrival. Having not seen him for a week, (a full week!), she was unsure how she would act around him when she next saw him. He'd been helpful, caring, loving, and a wonderful friend to her, and she felt that it was time for her to return the favor somehow.

"Well, let's see," Emmeline said, grinning like the Cheshire cat, "Lily's slept like the dead every night until now, which, coincidently, is the same time that the boys are arriving. What do you think of that, Marlene?"

"Hmm, it is awfully odd, isn't it?"

"Yes, quite."

Lily was blushing. "I suppose I was anxious for Christmas to arrive."

"Lily, every other Christmas we've known you you've slept in late. Why is this one different?"

"Okay, okay!" Lily finally said. "I'm nervous because James is coming and I don't know how to act around him! He's been perfect lately, and last I saw him, I was a wreck, and now, well, it's Christmas, and you guys have... well, I reckon you're all I've got, so I need to be... well, I need to live, because who knows when I won't be and-"

"Lily," Emmeline interrupted, not liking the way she was talking.

"No, don't interrupt me," Lily said. "I'm going to be happier. Mum and Dad would want me to be, you two have helped me figure that out. But James is coming, and he's been as wonderful as you two for me, being there and everything, and I need to thank him, but I don't know how," Lily rambled.

"I don't think he's expecting thanks, Lily," Marlene said, “and you should act as you always act around him.”

"No friend expects thanks when they help their friends, because that's what friends are for- helping each other through hard times, and laughing with each other through easy times."

Lily smiled. "I suppose you're right, but... well, I feel like I owe him something."

"You got him a Christmas gift, right?"

Lily nodded.

"Good. That's already more than he's expecting, I bet, so that'll do."

"But I need to thank him," Lily said, close to whining.

Marlene was silent for a moment. Then she said, "Write him a letter and put it with his gift."

Lily grinned and hugged Marlene. "Perfect!" she said.

----------

James, having awoken quite early in the morning, was ready to go ahead of time. He paced, he fidgeted, and his anxiety was evident on his face. "Sirius, hurry up!" he called. "We're going to be late."

"We still have a half an hour, Prongs," Sirius called back, stuffing his face with the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans that Remus had gotten him.

"And you've yet to get dressed! Or comb your hair! Or.… Or... I don't know! Hurry!"

"Merlin, James, you're a nutcase," Sirius muttered, going off to get ready.

"Finally," James said to himself, relieved that Sirius had listened to him.

"James, I think you need to calm down," Remus said after a moment.

"But we're going to see Lily!"

"And Marlene and Emmeline, as well," Remus pointed out.

"Yes, them too," James said with an air of uncaring. He couldn't stop thinking of Lily. His present for her lay on a nearby table, wrapped perfectly, due to several hours of painstaking attempts on James's part.

He picked it up gingerly and for the next twenty-five minutes sat tapping his heel and waiting impatiently for their time to leave.

----------

Lily sighed. "When are they coming?" she asked, glancing at the letter and present she'd wrapped, (expertly, and in under five minutes), and wishing that James were there to accept it.

"They should be here in just a few-"

A series of pops interrupted Marlene as James, Remus, and finally Sirius apparated into the room.

Lily blushed. What is wrong with me? she thought, wondering at the redness of her face. She shook her thoughts, stood up, and hugged James in a friendly manner.

James grinned and hugged her with the arm not holding her present. "Hey, Lil," he said.

"Hi," Lily replied. Then she felt utterly stupid. Hi was all that she could come up with?

"You're looking better," James commented after pulling out of the hug and looking at her.

Lily gave him a warm smile. "Marlene and Emmeline are a big help," she said.

"I got you a present," James said suddenly, handing her the package.

"I got a present for you, too," Lily said. James seemed quite pleasantly surprised.

"Lily!" Sirius suddenly exclaimed, pulling her into a bear hug. Lily blushed. She'd forgotten there were others in the room when she was talking to James. She awkwardly patted Sirius on the back. "'Lo, Sirius," she said.

"Oooh, presents!" Sirius said happily. "Who're they for?" He was eyeing Lily's gift to James.

Lily blushed. "It's for James," she said.

Sirius pouted. "No presents for Sirius or Remus, but presents for Prongs. This is not fair."

Remus chuckled. "Actually, I got a present," he said. "From Marlene."

Emmeline shrugged. "Well, I got all three of you boys presents, because I'm the fair one."

Sirius hugged Emmeline in glee. "Hoorah!"

Emmeline grinned.

"The fair one? She only got James and Remus gifts because then she could get one for Sirius without being obvious," Lily muttered. James heard and laughed.

"Let's open presents!" Sirius said. He'd gotten all three girls something; each was badly wrapped, but he didn't mind, and he didn't think they would, either. Why wrap all fancy-like just to have it ripped open?

The rest of the group agreed to open presents, though none possessed the enthusiasm of Sirius. He tore through the paper on Emmeline's gift and found a tiny model of himself in a box, humming merrily to itself. Finding that he'd finally be let out, the little model, naught but three inches in height, jumped up and said in a high-pitched voice, "Hoorah!" Sirius laughed uproariously as mini-Sirius hopped out excitedly and sang a Christmas carol. "Emmeline, where did you get this?" Sirius asked.

Emmeline grinned, still working on opening her present. "The owner of a local Muggle toy shop is actually a wizard, and did them for me. All I needed to provide were pictures of you, and he did the rest. They weren't even that expensive."

James and Remus had gotten similar gifts. Mini-James kept glancing at Lily and Mini-Remus was rolling his eyes at Mini-Sirius's excited antics and Mini-James's watching of Lily.

Sirius had gotten Marlene, Emmeline, and Lily assorted candy from Honeyduke’s.

Marlene had given Remus a small scrapbook full of pictures of the two together and a load of chocolate bars, and Remus had given Marlene a stuffed bear that giggled when its tummy was poked, flowers, and a small gold charm in the shape of a wolf to go with the charm bracelet she had.

Lily opened her gift, which was a small bowl with ruins on it, filled with some sort of liquid, and obviously enchanted so that it would not spill. It was a pensieve. A card was attached.

Lily,

This is a pensieve for you to use to store the memories of your parents. This way, you can have crystal clear memories, while still being able to think of them. Happy Christmas.

-James

Lily looked up at James, teary-eyed, and hugged him. "Thanks, James," she said.

James smiled. "Thank you, too," he said. Lily had given him a small, (or at least she considered it small), book. The cover was blank, and on the inside cover was a note from Lily.

James,

Happy Christmas! This is a book of quotes I put together for you that I think you'll enjoy. (And perhaps it'll get you to read more.) They're wonderful. I’ve also left you some space at the end to fill in with your own quotes, when you find them.

-Lily

P.S. Read the note on the parchment later, away from prying eyes.

James had opened the book and gotten through one quote before Lily had hugged him. How rare and wonderful is that flash of a moment when we realize we have discovered a friend (1). James smiled. “It’s fantastic,” he said.

----------

The rest of the evening had flown by. They had chatted, eaten Christmas dinner with Mr. and Mrs. McKinnon, and decided upon all going back to Hogwarts to celebrate the New Year. James had had a wonderful Christmas. They had gotten back to his house and it was a while before they had gone to bed.

It was late, now, and James finally heard the slow and heavy breathing that indicated that Remus and Sirius were asleep. He pulled out the note from Lily that he was to read 'away from prying eyes'. "Lumos," he whispered, wand casting light upon the parchment.

Dear James,

I want to thank you, again, for helping me through some very rough times. You were there for me always and I can't be more grateful than I am now. It meant a lot to me, and still means a lot to me, that I know I can count on you.


I know that in the past I was quite awful to you. I want to apologize for that. I didn't give you a chance until recently, and my stubbornness prevented me from seeing your wonderful side, or even that you had a side other than what I had dubbed, (incorrectly, as it were), the 'ego-side'. I’m glad I eventually saw you, though, and not my silly interpretation of you.

Thank you so much, James.

Love from,

Lily

P.S. Happy Christmas.

James grinned, somehow feeling lighter than air, despite the fact that his heart told him that something was still missing.

Authors’ Notes: Another chapter down, this one longer than the rest, too. Please review!

(1)- Quote by William Rotsler.

She Said Yes by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Fifteen- She Said Yes

"Only four hours left until we enter 1975!" Sirius said excitedly. He, Emmeline, Marlene, Remus, James, Lily, Frank, Alice, Dorcas, and Peter, respectively, were all sitting around the fire in the common room, waiting to ring in the New Year.

"Only four hours?" Lily questioned.

"Four is less than fi-ive!" Sirius said in a sing-song voice.

"Brilliant observation, Sherlock," Lily commented sarcastically.

"Sirius, not Sherlock," Sirius said. "Although I'm also called ‘Mr. Devilishly Handsome‘, and ‘Hot Stuff‘. Take your pick."

Lily rolled her eyes. "And to think I thought James was the egotistic one."

Sirius grinned. "But he's not egotistic any more, is he?" he asked, trying to get a rise out of Lily.

Lily, however, smiled. "I don't think he ever was all that bad."

James grinned broadly, and Emmeline muttered, "Could've fooled me."

"Me too," the others chorused.

"Well, alright, I used to think he was but now, oh, you're all awful," Lily said, blushing.

The remaining few hours passed much the same, with laughter, joking, teasing, and pumpkin juice all around. Lily felt the best she had since her parents' deaths, and was almost bubbling with excitement at the incoming year.

"Everyone's getting all cozy," Lily mentioned, looking around at the couples. Frank and Alice, although not a couple, were sitting closely and talking to each other in whispers, smiling every now and then. Sirius was chasing Emmeline around with a giant hat that he was intent on getting her to wear and she was intent on keeping off of her head. Marlene and Remus were cuddled up on a nearby couch, and Dorcas and Peter were in the back corner of the common room playing Exploding Snap.

"Looks like it's just us," James said, looking around and noticing the same.

Lily laughed. "Guess so," she said.

"Oh, you say that as if it's horrid that we're the only two sane ones in the room," James said, pouting.

"Well, the company could be better," Lily joked.

James sighed. "Would horrible company... do this?" he asked, poking her in the side.

She jumped and squealed. "Yes, so don't do it again," she said.

"Do what?" James asked innocently.

Lily stuck her tongue out. "You know what," she said.

"Why, is Miss Evans ticklish?" James asked, grinning.

"Of course not," Lily said, lying.

"So, you won't mind it if I do this?" James asked, poking her side. She jumped again and scooted over.

"Don't!" she said, laughing.

James cackled, much to Lily's dismay, and tickled Lily mercilessly.

"No... don't," Lily managed between laughs. "Stop!"

James laughed and said, "And why should I?"

"Because... I'm Head Girl and... I say so!"

"Oh, alright," James said, stopping. "I mean, it's not as if I'm Head Boy and can contradict what you say."

Lily then grinned mischievously. Before James could even wonder what she was up to she poked him in the side. He jumped.

"Hah!" Lily exclaimed in victory, beginning to tickle him.

"No fair!" he cried, laughing.

"Since when? You tickled me!"

"Stop... because I'm Head Boy... and I say so!" James laughed out.

Lily chuckled. "Alright, fine," she said.

James recovered and stuck his tongue out at her. "That was cruel," he said.

Before she could reply, the students in the common room interrupted. "TEN," they all said in unison. The ten second countdown had begun.

"Nine!"

"It was fun, though," Lily replied.

"Eight!"

"For you, maybe," James said, pretending to sulk.

"Seven!"

"Aw, is poor Jamesie upset?"

"Six!"

"If you must know, yes."

"Five!"

"Be happy, James-"

"Four!"

"-it's almost 1975!"

"Three!"

James grinned.

"Two!"

Lily smiled widely in excitement.

"One!" Lily and James joined in.

"Happy New Year!" everyone shouted, James lifting Lily up and spinning her around before putting her down. Lily wrapped her arms around James's neck in surprise, but laughed. As he set her down, she kissed him- full on the lips. She quickly pulled back, his arms still around his waist from his picking her up, and hers still around his neck, and they stared at each other in shock.

Lily pulled away from James, her hand over her mouth in surprise, and backed a few steps away, slowly. Then she bolted up to her dormitory.

James stood, still in shock, and touched his lips. What just happened?

"What was that?" Sirius asked, looking at James. Apparently James wasn't the only person confused. Looking around, he saw that most of the common room was looking at him in a questioning sort of way. Marlene, Emmeline, and Alice, however, had followed Lily after seeing she had run.

"Did I... did she? Wha... Merlin," James stammered.

Remus blinked. He blinked again. "Lily kissed you, James," he said. Even he seemed shocked.

"Merlin," James muttered again, sitting down on the floor.

"Do you know what this means?" Sirius asked, excitedly.

James shook his head dumbly.

"She fancies you!" Sirius said.

"But she ran away," James pointed out, coming out of his stupor and frowning.

"She wouldn't have kissed you if she didn't fancy you," Sirius said.

"Maybe she surprised herself," Remus pointed out. "Maybe she hasn't even realized yet that she fancies you."

"Brilliant in matters of the brain, but not so brilliant in matters of the heart," Sirius agreed.

James shook his head. "Lily's brilliant. She probably was aiming for my cheek or something, and I must've turned my head or... something." James didn't remember turning his head.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "She kissed you and she meant to, although it seemed she didn't realize what she was doing..."

"Did everyone see?" James finally asked.

"Well," Remus started, "you were being awfully noisy and flirty this evening..."

"Oh no," James muttered, putting his head in his hands.

"What?"

"She kissed me, ran away, and everybody saw. Not only does she regret it, but every one else knows, too," James said.

----------

"Lily?" Marlene called as she entered the dormitory. Lily was sitting on her bed, head in hands.

"What have I done?" she asked.

"Lily," Emmeline said gently, she and Alice having entered behind Marlene, "you kissed James. Not a cheek kiss, a lips kiss."

"Well what did I do that for?" Lily asked, hoping someone understood it better than she.

Alice smiled. "You fancy him, Lily, don't you?"

Lily shook her head. "No," she said. "No, I don't-" But her thoughts cut her off. She thought about his friendship, what it meant to her, how she felt when he wasn't around, how special he made her feel, and how empty everything was without him and her whole world seemed to tilt over. "Oh no," she said.

"What?"

"I... I fancy James Potter," Lily said, wide-eyed.

"Well, now that you've finally admitted it to yourself, you know what you have to do, right?" Marlene asked.

"Hide?" Lily tried.

"Tell him," Marlene said.

"Tell him?" Lily exclaimed. "I can't tell him!"

"Why not?" Emmeline asked.

"Because he doesn't fancy me like that," Lily said, as if it made all the sense in the world.

"Doesn't fancy you...? Merlin, Lily, the boy is head-over-heels for you!"

"Don't be ridiculous," Lily said.

"I'm not being-"

Lily rolled her eyes. "No, just stop. The only thing to do is to pretend it never happened."

"Lily you can't be serious," Marlene said.

Lily laughed through her scowl. "No, I'm Lily. Sirius is down stairs. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to bed. I have things to do tomorrow."

"Lily, stop being so stupid!" Emmeline said through the curtains that Lily had shut on them.

Lily sighed and pulled the curtains open a bit. "I'm sorry," she said. "I don't mean to get angry at you, it's just, well, you're telling me silly things, and I'm feeling silly things, and I really need to sleep on this, so... well, I'm sorry," Lily said.

The girls sighed, too. "It's alright," Alice said.

"G' night," Lily told them, and they muttered their good-nights back.

The girls lay awake for a few minutes. Suddenly, Emmeline said, "I'm proud of you, Lily. You finally realized your feelings. And everything'll work out, and soon you'll be dating him, all because you've finally gotten over your stubbornness."

Lily smiled slightly. "Thanks, Emm," she said, even if she didn't fully believe her.

----------

"Ask her out," Remus told James.

"But... but what if she says no?" James asked.

"She won't say no," Sirius said exasperatedly. "She kissed you on the lips." He spoke as if speaking to a child who wasn't understanding a fairly easy concept.

James thought about it for a few minutes. "Alright," he finally said, smiling slightly.

----------

Lily and James walked through the halls, doing their rounds as Head Boy and Girl. The tension in the air seemed thick enough to be touched, and the awkward silence made checking for rule breakers a very dull, very slow job.

Jame cleared his throat suddenly. "Six months until N.E.W.T.s," he said.

Lily nodded. "Yes, I know," she said. "I'm a bit nervous," she admitted.

"Don't be, you'll pass without a problem," James complimented.

Flattery. Does. Not. Work! It only makes me resort to one word sentences! And that's horrible! Lily smiled slightly, remembering how she'd used to answer such things. "Thanks," she said. "I'm sure you'll do well, too."

James smiled. "I hope so. Remus and I have actually looked over some of our notes, and it doesn't seem as if all will be that bad. I hope I do well. Will you go out with me?" James's eyes widened as he realized what he'd said. Oops.

"What did you say?" Lily asked, wanting to make sure she'd heard right. Could Emmeline have been right?

James blushed and looked at his feet. "Oh, nothing," he said.

"No, what did you say?" Lily asked again. Please say you asked what I think you asked. This thought, still being of the new sort for Lily, caused her to blush as she asked. She couldn't look at him.

"I... well, I don't know, I suppose I was just being stupid but what I said was, well, I just, I don't know, you're beautiful, and smart, and funny, and you're special, and wonderful, and, well, I guess, I don't, but what I mean is, well, will you, I don't know why this is so, can you maybe, I mean you don't have to, but will you go out with me?" James said in all one breath.

Lily blinked and was too shocked to answer.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked," James started, blushing further and walking on.

Lily shook her head. Wait! She grabbed his arm and he turned his head to look at her. "Yes," she said.

James's head cocked to the side. "Yes?" he questioned.

"Yes," she said, now smiling.

James positively beamed. "Yes," he said nodding. "Yes!" He twirled her around and laughed in relief.

Lily giggled as she was spun and when she stopped she looked up at him, smiling. She then kissed him on the lips, realizing, this time, exactly what she was doing.

----------

"Well, you look happy," Emmeline commented as Lily entered her dormitory after her rounds.

"I am," she said.

"Oh?" Marlene asked.

Lily beamed. "I said yes," she said.

----------

James plopped back onto his bed, arms spread.

Remus raised an eyebrow and his antics. "What's got you so chipper?" he asked.

"I did what you told me to," he said.

Sirius sat up, suddenly interested. "And?" he asked.

James beamed. "She said yes."

----------

Authors’ Notes: Aww! :swoons: This is definitely one of our favorite chapters. Please review!

We apologize for the lack of updates. We've been busy with the school Musical and homework and lack of internet. Hopefully this was worth the wait!

Also note, this isn’t the end of CAF. We’ve still got five chapters left, as this covers all of seventh year, and then after that we’ve got two sequels planned. So stick around and review!

The Breakdowns of Lily Evans by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Chapter Sixteen- The Breakdowns of Lily Evans

(Looking Forward and Kicking Behind)

After staying up and spilling everything to Marlene and Emmeline for what felt like hours to the already exhausted Lily, she was finally allowed to get some sleep. Unfortunately, sun spilling into the room prevented her from getting as much as she'd have liked, and she awoke feeling groggy, but somehow elated. She thought back to the night before and her heart leaped as she remembered saying yes to James when he'd asked her out. She grinned widely.

Bounding from her bed, Lily quickly showered and dressed before skipping down into the common room to find James.

----------

James awoke, slightly earlier than Lily, to his alarm. He smacked the cursed item that had awakened him from one of the greatest dreams he'd ever had. It had seemed so real, and he wished very much that it had been true. He sighed.

In his dream, he'd gotten up the nerve to ask Lily out. In his dream, Lily had said yes. Why couldn't that be true?

He crawled out of bed and went downstairs into the common room to brood and sulk in front of the fire. When Lily came skipping down into the room and practically tackled him with a forceful hug, he was, to say the least, surprised and quite happy.

When she kissed him, he recalled his dream and, a bit belatedly, realized that it hadn't been a dream at all. He felt happier than he could ever recall feeling before.

----------

After breakfast, during which Sirius remarked to Emmeline that James and Lily were reminding him of the disgusting closeness of Remus and Marlene, (to which Marlene flicked Sirius 'in a fit of viciousness'), James asked Lily if she’d like to go for a walk with him. Lily, of course, agreed.

The couple decided on a walk around the lake, and after bundling up warmly, (for after all, it was January), were off on a first date of sorts since having made their status 'official' the evening before.

James slipped his hand into Lily's not far into the walk, and smiled when Lily entwined her gloved fingers in his. She smiled back at him and they slipped into easy conversation.

“It's beautiful out here," Lily commented, gazing at the ice covered lake surrounded by picturesque snow-covered pines. Snow was lightly falling, and the whiteness of their surroundings made Lily’s fiery hair stand out sharply against the stark background.

"It is beautiful," James said, "but I can think of one thing in particular that's more beautiful."

"And what's that?" Lily asked.

"You," James said simply.

Lily blushed, wondering briefly why that sort of comment had ceased to anger her. She realized, then, that it was his sincerity and her trust in it.

"You think I'm beautiful?" Lily asked insecurely.

"I always have," James answered, gazing at her so intensely that Lily had to look away.

"Thank you," she murmured softly, not sure how else to reply.

James kissed the top of her head and pulled her closer so that he could wrap his arm around her shoulders. She put her arm around his waist and leaned into him slightly as they walked on in a companionable silence.

---

"I'm scared, James," Lily said quietly after a while.

"Of what?" James asked, concerned, tightening his hold around her shoulders.

"Everything," Lily answered. "Where do I go after school? What do I do?"

"You still have five months to figure this out, Lily," James said.

"I'm still worried..."

"Have you thought at all about what career you'd like to have?" James asked.

"I... well, I'm thinking of becoming a Healer, but I'm not certain," Lily said, blushing slightly.

"You'd be brilliant at it, Lily. You'd be brilliant at whatever you decide to do."

Lily, not wanting the conversation to stay on her, decided to turn the tables. "What do you want to do after school, James?" she asked.

"Well, I know it probably sounds silly, but I want to be an Auror," James said.

"Why would that be silly?"

James shrugged. "It's really hard to be accepted as an Auror. They don't just let anyone in, and your marks in school have to be really high. And... well, I suppose I really want to do it to keep those close to me safe."

“How is any of that silly? James, fighting for a cause is noble, not silly. I think you're wonderful for that."

"Why, Miss Evans I believe that is the first real compliment I've ever gotten from you," James said, grinning.

Lily smiled, but suddenly her smile turned and she burst into tears, bewildering James thoroughly.

"Lily? Lily, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that. It's alright, don't cry," he said in a rush, turning to her as she looked towards the ground.

"No," Lily sniffled. "It's not your fault," she said, tears still streaming down her face. "No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... it's just I'm so scared. Five months, and we'll be out in the world of murderers and Dark Lords and I j-just don't feel safe at all. They got my parents, James, who's to say they won't get me, too?" She wiped at her face.

James was at a loss for words. Her confidence and grace had gone, and he found he loved her all the more for her hidden vulnerability. But he felt anger rising in his chest at the danger that upset her, and a protectiveness even stronger rising above.

"Oh, I feel so silly now, crying like a child. I'm sorry, this is ridiculous..." Lily muttered.

James's brow creased. "Don't you be sorry for that, Lil. Don't you ever be sorry for feeling scared. Merlin, Lily, we're all scared." He pulled her into a hug.

Time stood still as they held onto each other.

“I’ll always be there for you, Lily,” James whispered after a time. “And so will everyone else who cares for you.”

----------

James, Lily, Remus, Sirius, Emmeline, and Marlene were all heading back up to the common room. Somehow Lily, Remus, and Marlene had convinced the rest that studying for NEWTs was a necessity, and thus there was much complaining on the way back.

"Lily, we've got five months," Emmeline whined. "That's certainly plenty of time for me to study."

Sirius nodded in agreement. "And James and I are brilliant so this is completely useless to us."

"Brilliant as you undoubtedly are," Remus said, "you can't always remember everything, so glancing over a few notes isn't going to kill you."

"Well I don't have enough notes to glance over for five months," Sirius protested further. "I'd be lucky to have enough notes to glance over for five minutes."

"Well, you can use mine," Emmeline said.

Lily raised an eyebrow. "Emm, you don't take notes, either."

Emmeline blushed. "Yes, well... I did in first year, and we'll have to go over that because everything we've ever learnt will be on the exams so... there."

Lily whitened somewhat as she was once again reminded of the extent of the tests. "I'll need to dig those notes out soon," she muttered, more to herself than to anyone else.

"Speaking of digging," snarled a voice from behind the group, "you should probably start digging your own grave soon. They killed your good-for-nothing parents. You're next, Mudblood."

James whirled around (as did the others, but James was certainly the first to do so), his face red with anger. "You take that back," he snarled, his wand an centimeter away from the face of the insulter, Bellatrix Black. Behind her were Slytherins Regulus Black, Rodolphus Lestrange, and Severus Snape.

"Stop it, James," Lily said warily, pulling his wand arm gently down and away from Bellatrix.

"Yes, do stop," sneered Severus. "If you don‘t, why, a certain Dark Lord may find reason to kill you, too. First her parents, then you. The poor Mudblood would be parent-less and boyfriend-less."

Lily glared. "Oh, keep up with your taunting," she said coldly. "It only gets more pathetic."

"So did your parents' pleas," Regulus said in a quiet but cold voice, “but they were killed in the end. You‘ll be next."

In the back of her mind, Lily knew they were just trying to provoke her. However, in the front of Lily's mind, something snapped. "Petrificus Totalus!" Lily yelled at the same time that Sirius yelled out, “Stupefy!” Regulus fell to the ground, unconscious and stiff as a board.

Bellatrix, not being one to back away from a fight, gave a predatory smile and hissed, "Engorgio!" The spell hit Sirius's foot, which began swelling horribly and at a fast pace.

In retaliation, both James and Emmeline turned on Bellatrix, but by this time spells were flying every which way from both the Slytherins and the Gryffindors so that one could hardly tell what was coming from where.

When James and Emmeline had turned to fire spells at Bellatrix, Severus took that opportunity to aim a few of his own at his least favorite of the group: Lily. He sneered the incantation of what Lily recognized to be the Conjuctivitus Curse.

She, however, was too quick for him. "Protego!" Lily yelled. She was shielded from the curse. Not even two seconds later, Snape was blasted backward from a rather forceful disarming spell from Lily. He hit the wall and fell.

Meanwhile, Bellatrix fell, a combination Jelly-Legs Jinx and boil curse causing her to lose her balance. Rodolphus was shooting spells at Remus and Marlene, both of whom were attempting to stop the swelling of Sirius's foot and, more importantly, stop him from trying to pummel the unconscious form of his younger brother.

"Reducio," Remus finally muttered, decreasing Sirius's foot to normal size, before he was hit with a jet of fiery sparks which burnt his arm courtesy of Rodolphus. He scowled and calmly sent a "Stupefy" at his attacker as if he were nothing more than a slight nuisance. Rodolphus hit the ground with a thud.

Lily stood in front of the wobbling Bellatrix who had dropped her wand to scratch at the boils (from Emmeline) covering her skin. Lily pointed her wand at Bellatrix’s nose. She opened her mouth to utter the incantation for the Bat-Bogey Hex when she was interrupted by a stern voice from down the hallway.

“What is going on here?” Professor McGonagall asked forcefully. Lily’s wand hand dropped to her side immediately. McGonagall looked at the group of Gryffindors. “Both Heads and a Prefect?” she asked, looking at the silent Lily, James, and Remus. “This is unacceptable behavior from all of-”

“Professor,” James interrupted, “you have to understand that we were provoked. You know we don’t just attack anyone an-”

"Who fired the first spell?” McGonagall asked sharply.

Lily looked to the ground. “I did,” she said quietly.

“Miss Evans I expected much more from you,” said McGonagall with disappointment in her voice.

“Lily didn’t fire the first spell,” Sirius suddenly broke in. “I did. Well, we fired at the same time, but mine hit first, so it was my fault.”

“And even though she fired a spell, you can’t blame her,” Emmeline said. “The Slytherins were taunting her about her parents, saying she would be next.”

“Miss Black,” McGonagall addressed Bellatrix, “is this true?”

Bellatrix grinned evilly. “We were just warning her, of course.”

James raised his wand angrily but stopped abruptly when McGonagall snapped at him. “Mr. Potter! That is quite enough! Do any of you have injuries that must be addressed at once?” she asked the Gryffindors. They shook their heads. “Then go to my classroom and wait there while I get these four taken care of.”

----------

Lily sat on a desk in McGonagall’s classroom, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. Sirius and Emmeline were going over the spells they’d hit different people with, and Marlene was fussing over the burn on Remus’s arm while Remus insisted that he was fine and that he would heal soon.

James sat down next to Lily and pulled her to him. “It’s alright, Lily. She’ll go easy on us,” James murmured softly.

Lily didn’t answer at first, but after a few moments of listening to Sirius go over the look on Bellatrix’s face as Lily pointed her wand at her at the end Lily said, “I initiated a duel in the corridors, James.”

James held back a smile. So that was what she was upset about- she‘d broken the school rules and set a bad example. “It’s fine, Lily,” he said to her.

Lily tensed and pulled away from him slightly, “It is not fine,” she said angrily. “I’ve not only broken rules, but I’ve also set a horrible example and disappointed my Head of House and anyone else who hears of this. I’ve ruined the respect that the students have for me, and I may have ruined my position as Head Girl!”

James stifled a chuckle, assuming (quite correctly) that it would only anger Lily further. “Dumbledore would never take away your Head Girl position. Who else would do fill it so well? And believe me, students are going to respect you even more for finally showing those Slytherins a thing or two about dueling. Even McGonagall, I’m sure, is going to come in here and say something along the lines of, ‘Although I doubt you are much to blame in the fight which occurred, I must nevertheless punish you for your actions,’ and give us lines as punishment.”

At that moment, Professor McGonagall entered. “Although I doubt the lot of you are much to blame for what transpired in the hallway, I must nevertheless punish you for your actions. (Lily here gave James a queer look. James shrugged and grinned.) I’ve decided to let Professor Walker deal with the punishments of the Slytherins. As for you, each one of you will have to write lines for an hour after dinner for a week. Detentions start tomorrow, you will all meet here in the classroom. I, unfortunately, will be assisting another teacher on a matter during that time, so I’ll have to trust you to behave and write your lines.” There was an odd twinkle in Professor McGonagall’s eyes as she said the last part, convincing Lily that there really was no matter to attend to and McGonagall wanted to make their punishment as unlike a punishment as possible. “Any questions?”

“Must I come?” Sirius asked.

Professor McGonagall rolled her eyes. “Yes, Black, you must come. If there are no further questions, you all may leave. However, Miss Evans I’d like a quick word with you.” Lily’s face took on a slightly frightened quality, but she nodded nonetheless. James squeezed her shoulder reassuringly and left with Emmeline, Sirius, Marlene, and Remus.

As the door shut behind them, McGonagall turned to Lily, a concerned look on her face. “Miss Evans, you are not normally one to initiate fights. Is there something going on which you’d like to speak about?”

Lily shook her head, looking down at her feet guiltily. “No, nothing. I just… they speak about killing and death as if it’s a good thing and something just snapped. I couldn’t take it. I don’t know what I was thinking, and I feel awful about what happened.”

Professor McGonagall seemed to be concentrating hard on something privy to only herself for a moment before looking back to Lily. “Sometimes our emotions take over our actions without our consent. I’m afraid this is one of those moments. For you to have attacked as you did, there must have been strong provocation. You must understand, however, that fellow students are not the only ones who will attempt to provoke you into something such as a duel. The Wizarding World is on the brink of a war; you must be wary.”

Lily, who had been looking up at McGonagall in curiosity and interest as she spoke nodded, determined not to let such a thing get to her in the future. “Thank you, Professor.”

Professor McGonagall nodded. “You may go back to your common room now, Miss Evans. Remember what I’ve told you.”

“I will,” Lily said honestly, leaving the room.

James was waiting outside the door when Lily came out. “What was that about?” he asked her as they started toward the common room.

“She gave me some advice is all,” Lily answered.

“Well that’s odd,” James said, crinkling his brow in slight confusion.

Lily didn’t answer, her thoughts swirling. On the brink of war… “James, what you said earlier about always being there… did you mean that?” she finally asked, a hint of insecurity in her voice.

James looked at Lily sharply. “Of course I did,” he said. “I couldn’t leave you if I tried.”

Lily took James’s hand in her. “Good,” she said, and then more quietly, “I don’t want to lose you.”

“You won’t, Lily,” James said, gazing at her concernedly. “Nothing can take me away from you,” he pointed out sincerely.

Lily looked up at him and smiled. Perhaps, even on the brink of war and without her parents, they would be alright.

-----------

Authors’ Notes: So ends chapter sixteen. There is one more chapter after this. (We changed from twenty to seventeen in order to get this finished before HBP. Unfortunately, we've been having issues with Mugglenet, so the seventeen chapters aren't up here, yet.) We're sorry for the slowness in getting this up- again, having issues with Mugglenet.

Please review.

Prelude to a New Beginning by Messrs Fuzzbutt and Fantail

Catching A Flower

*Disclaimer*- Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail do not now, nor will they ever, claim to be J.K. Rowling. They own none of the characters or situations presented by Ms. Rowling in any of her brilliantly written books.

Authors’ Notes- This is the final chapter of Catching A Flower. As an epilogue of sorts, this chapter is thus more disjointed than our other chapters. We’ll simply give glimpses into happenings rather than the usual, more detailed accounts. Enjoy!

Chapter Seventeen- Prelude to a New Beginning

"Okay, Lily," James murmured in Lily's ear, taking the blindfold from around her head. "You can open your eyes."

Lily did so and gasped at what she saw. In the center of the room was a circular table for two covered by a deep red tablecloth. On it sat dishes and silverware, candles adding to the romantic effect of the room- the room lit with a soft glow usually unattainable in the early hours of the morning. Roses and a box of chocolates occupied another portion of the table, and Lily was, to say the least, rather stunned.

"James... you... where is this?" Lily asked in awe.

James chuckled. “This is a nice room that Sirius and I stumbled upon one day. We call it the Room of Requirement."

"It's amazing," Lily breathed, turning to hug James.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Lil," James said, kissing the top of her head.

----------

" But Lily, it's the holidays! We haven't even had a proper date since Valentine's Day; can't we just skip a study-"

"No, James! Our whole lives rest on this, don't you see? If we don't get good marks on the N.E.W.T.S. we'll have no luck in the real world!"

"Lily, you're brilliant, you don't need to study this much, you know th-"

"I don't know that! You may be able to get by without studying, but not all of us can-"

"Yes you can, Lily Evans! Why can't you take a break? You're going to wear yourself out and be even more of a wreck than you are now!"

"Oh, so that's what I am, is it? Fine, James, study by yourself!" Lily raged, storming up to her dormitory.

"Just for that I won't study at all!" he called to her retreating figure, sitting down furiously once she was gone.

"Redheads," James muttered irritably.

-----

"It was just a silly fight, Lily," Emmeline said consolingly as Lily gazed sadly out of the window in their dormitory. "You'll make up tomorrow and all will be well."

"All won't be well, Emm," Lily said tearfully. "James is right; I am a wreck."

"Well you're his wreck, so I doubt that he minds terribly," Marlene pointed out.

-----

"I just had to go and blow up at her, didn't I?" James stormed. "But she's insane about this N.E.W.T. thing. Even worse than Moony!"

"I resent that," Remus muttered.

James didn't hear him, however. "And now she won't talk to me because I told her it was wearing her down and for some reason that made her upset."

"She's just stressed, Prongs," Sirius said. "Tomorrow she'll come back and apologize for all of the studying, then you'll study anyway, 'cause you'll apologize for making it seem unimportant."

"What if she's still angry at me?"

"James, do you realize how much like a little girl you sound right now?" Sirius asked.

James sulked.

-----

Lily stood in front of James, awkwardly gazing at her feet. "I'm sorry," she said softly.

James shook his head. "Me too," he replied. They stood in tense silence for several moments until Lily felt she couldn't bear another.

"Well, I guess... I'll see you around, then," she said, feeling defeated.

She turned to leave, and James grabbed her hand. She stopped. "Let's go for a walk," James said.

Lily gazed up at him and saw the seriousness in his eyes. She nodded. "Alright," she said.

James smiled lightly.

-----

"Lily, you look rather... disheveled," Emmeline said as Lily entered the dormitory. "Where were you?"

Lily smiled giddily. "James and I went on a walk," she said happily.

"Do you think it was just a walk?" Marlene asked Emmeline, smirking at Lily‘s obliviousness to that around her.

Emmeline snorted. "I highly doubt it."

Lily blushed, but the grin on her face refused to leave.

-----

"James, where were you? We were going to plan our end of the year prank, don't you remember?" Sirius asked irritably as James entered the dormitory.

"Pranks, okay," he muttered, grinning stupidly. "Down with Slytherins!"

"James," said Peter tentatively, "are you alright?"

"Yup! I'm just fine and dandy. How about you, Pete? The weather's beautiful, isn't it? You should go out there."

Remus gave James a worried look. "James, where have you been?"

"Lily and I, we went on a walk," James proclaimed proudly.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "In other words, Prongs here has just snogged or been snogged senseless by Lily Evans."

James's grin widened. "We went on a walk," he said again, nodding.

----------

Lily scribbled notes down furiously as James sat across the table from her. Quite bored with studying Transfiguration, James studied his surroundings instead.

Odd, he thought, I didn't know Alice and Frank were suddenly so... open. It's about time, though.

His gaze moved onto Marlene and Remus. What on Earth…? They've certainly never been that obvious before. Sirius will be proud.

His eyes widened as he continued looking around the room. Okay, maybe not. Sirius is a bit preoccupied, too, it seems.

James turned back to Lily. "Lily, is snogging on the N.E.W.T.S?" he asked seriously.

Lily looked up, taking on a scandalized tone. "James!" she hissed.

James shook his head quickly. "No, no, no," he said, "not us." Now, anyway. "Them," he clarified, motioning for Lily to look around the room.

Lily raised an eyebrow. "Well, this is a right Snogfest, isn't it?" she muttered. Around the room sat three couples- Alice and Frank, Remus and Marlene, and Sirius and Emmeline- all studying a subject that was most certainly not on the N.E.W.T.S.

Moments later James and Lily found that particular subject to be necessary for the day's studying.

----------

"Well, the Transfiguration questions were quite a bit easier than I supposed they would be," Remus said.

"Transfiguration is always easy, Moony," Sirius said.

Remus shrugged. "Yes, for you and Prongs. But for those of us to whom it doesn't automatically come..."

"Hmm, this sounds an awful lot like what Lily described to us as the fight she last had with James," Marlene noted.

“Where are those two, anyway?" Emmeline asked.

Marlene smiled and pointed to an armchair across the room. In it was James, fast asleep. Lily was curled in his lap, head on his chest, sleeping just as soundly.

Emmeline grinned. "They're so adorable. It's about time Lily gets some sleep, too. She's been frazzled all week. Yesterday she passed me the butter when I asked for the pumpkin juice. Thank goodness N.E.W.T.S. are over."

"Her frazzled state reminds me of when James used to need to work up the courage to ask her out," Sirius said, grinning fondly.

"It's good they've got each other," Remus said, Marlene and Emmeline nodding in agreement.

"Yes," said Sirius, always up for ruining anything resembling a sappy moment, "because otherwise we'd still have to deal with them all the time."

Emmeline swatted him, grinning anyway.

----------

"Lily," James whispered, shaking her slightly. "Lily, wake up."

"No," she whined, not opening her eyes and nuzzling further into James. "You can't make me."

James chuckled. "You have to get up," he said. "Or do you want all of Gryffindor to come down and see us here?"

"I don't give a kneazle's bum who sees us here. Lemme sleep," Lily mumbled.

James grinned madly and promptly pushed Lily off his lap and onto the floor, to which Lily gave a startled screech. "What was that for?" she demanded.

"My legs were falling asleep," James said sagely, trying to keep a straight face.

Lily glared at him. "James Elias Potter, I shall maim you with my bare hands!"

James laughed and, quite wisely, ran to escape Lily's wrath. "Not if you can't catch me," he called.

Much to James's surprise, within the next five minutes Lily had tackled James down and was sitting upon his stomach triumphantly. "Teach you to wake me up like that," she muttered playfully.

----------

Hats and sparks were flying as the entire Hogwarts Class of 1975 cheered wildly. James caught Lily and spun her around in a way very similar to that of the last New Year's Eve. "Happy Graduation," he whispered to her when they came to a halt.

Lily smiled softly, pressing her forehead against his happily. "Happy graduation to you, too," she said before kissing him swiftly on the lips.

"Tomorrow we go home," James said, the thought startling and sobering him.

Lily seemed startled for a moment, as well, before putting back the pretense of utter giddiness. "We'll visit all summer," she said, "but I have to see Petunia first. You know that. I haven't even spoken to her since, well, you know..." she trailed off.

"I don't want to wait that long," James whined pitifully.

Lily chuckled. "Well, you'll have to. There's not much I can do about it. I have to go somewhere, and so do you."

"You can live at my house," James said without thinking.

Lily's eyes widened. "James as... appealing as that thought is, you can't just offer your house up to anyone-"

"I did for Sirius," James interrupted, "and Mum and Dad didn't have a problem with that. In fact, Mum would love to have a girl around the house for once."

Lily smiled somewhat sadly. "James, you and I both know I have to go home."

James nodded. After a few moments of just standing together, he finally said, "But we'll visit a lot.”

Lily nodded. "More than a lot," she affirmed.

----------

Lily gazed up at the castle from Hogsmeade, her trunk already in a compartment in the train that would lead her for her last time from her home away from home of seven years. With a sigh she said a small goodbye in her head, knowing that she'd always have memories from this year and her others that would make her darker days a little brighter.

An arm suddenly slipped around her shoulders, and Lily gazed up to see James looking up at the castle with the same reminiscent look in his eyes. "It was fun, wasn't it?" he asked.

Lily nodded. "It was amazing."

"I'm going to miss it," James said seriously.

"So am I," Lily said. They stood looking at the castle for several more moments before being startled from their reveries by the whistle of the Hogwarts Express. Without a word they turned and climbed into their compartment. Along with Sirius, Remus, Marlene, Emmeline, and Peter they watched the castle shrink into the distance until finally they could see it no more.

Sirius turned from the window first. "Anyone up for Exploding Snap?" he asked as the others slowly transferred themselves back to the now.

"I'm in," Emmeline said as Remus and Marlene left the compartment claiming to have something to discuss. Peter, James, and Lily soon all joined the game, and by the time Remus and Marlene returned the train had almost finished its final journey for the group.

Reality set in and Emmeline brought up a topic on most everyone's minds. "We'll all keep in touch, right?"

Sirius nodded vehemently. "Next week let's all meet in the Leaky Cauldron for a drink and to catch up," he suggested. They all agreed to this, only Peter seeming as though he might not be able to attend.

The train neared the station and they all pulled down their trunks, exiting the compartment once the train had come to a halt. The girls tearfully promised each other that they'd write every day and meet up as often as possible as the males exchanged handshakes, all knowing that their adventures were not over.

Everyone of the group had soon left, sans James and Lily who were standing together silently. "It was a wild year, wasn't it?" Lily asked.

James nodded. "It was," he agreed. "But it was also undoubtedly the best that I've had."

Lily smiled slightly, another comfortable silence falling on them as the station emptied itself of all but those stragglers such as themselves. "We'll see each other soon," Lily said, almost to convince herself more than James.

"Of course," James said. "I'll have convinced Mum to have you over sooner than you can say 'Pumpkin Pasties.'"

Lily chuckled as James fished around in his pockets for parchment and quickly scribbled down his address. "Just in case," he said, seriously. And then with a grin, he added, "and for when you visit."

Lily smiled shakily, overwrought with the sadness of leaving James, despite the fact that she'd see him again soon. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. "I'll visit very soon," she promised. "Very, very soon."

"I know," James said as they pulled apart.

Before they had fully seperated, however, James kissed Lily, causing a grin to form on both of their faces.

The mood was interrupted however, by the calling of a familiar voice. "Prongs!" called Sirius from across the station. "Prongs, your mum says she's made dinner all up and that we can eat as soon as we get home!"

James rolled his eyes, albeit with a smile. "Bye, Lily," James said, backing away despite his wants to stay where he was.

Lily smiled. "It's not really goodbye," she said, hugging him once more. "I'll see you soon, remember?"

James grinned and nodded. The two of them finally turned to go their separate ways, knowing that their ways weren't to be separated for long.

Fin.

Authors’ Notes: So ends Catching A Flower. Thank you to all those who have read Catching A Flower and made it worth writing. Thank you especially to all those readers who have reviewed thus far and to those who find it in their hearts to review now, letting us know that our work was enjoyed.

A sequel or two is planned, but we’re waiting for Half-Blood Prince to figure out plot and all that. If interest is enough, we’ll continue with our series.

Thank you to all those readers and reviewers out there who stuck with us!

-Messrs. Fuzzbutt and Fantail

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6769