Doors by KASK
Summary: Thanks to James Potter and the stupid girl he was with, Lily Evans wanders off in the Ministry of Magic. There, she is faced with the most grueling tasks she will ever have to face. The only question that remains is: will she make it through alive?



For the Gauntlet, I am kask of Slytherin.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3899 Read: 1596 Published: 05/25/07 Updated: 05/26/07

1. Doors by KASK

Doors by KASK
Author's Notes:
Thank you to my Beta, Katty (Mind Games).
Stupid James Potter. Stupid, stupid James Potter, was exactly what I was thinking as I wandered through the Ministry of Magic. I mean, it was his fault I was in the situation I was in.

I was thinking about him again when I got into the mess. The stupid guy was always on my mind! I can’t say that I would have ever actually admitted it, but it was true. His damn smirk and knowing eyes, they drove me crazy. They were so… unrelenting.

It was all out on the table. Lily Evans had a thing for James Potter…and he knew it. He knew that I thought about him all the time, and he mocked me. Well, his eyes and actions mocked me.

I was in the Ministry of Magic because I was included in a group of kids that were invited to take a tour. We showed “promise.” With the War, they needed a “strong group of next-generation leaders.” It sounded so phoney, but I went anyway.

There were about fifteen of us, mostly seventh years, but not all. James was there (being a Head), Sirius Black (he had high marks), Remus Lupin (a prefect), Anya Reynolds (another prefect) and a few other people that I knew, but none of my friends went. So, I pretended to listen to the guide attentively.

I didn’t though. My eyes were glued to James. I was surprised he didn’t feel my stare and turn around. But why would he? I thought bitterly. He wasn’t paying attention to me. Instead, he was travelling in a small group consisting of him, Sirius, Remus and Anya. Anya.

A lazy arm was slung around her shoulder and they were walking closely. It drove me nuts! I knew they weren’t dating, but that didn’t matter. His arm was around her! And then he would lean in, his mouth an inch from her ear, and make a comment about the poor tour guide with plaid pants. She would laugh and, a few minutes later, he would tell another joke because he could.

Before I knew it, the group was gone. They had turned the corner and I lost them. Before, I would have relied on James to notice that I was missing. He always noticed when I wasn’t there. But, this time, I wasn’t so sure he would. He was too wrapped up in what’s her name to notice me.

I just hoped someone would notice…

But, until that happened, I had no choice but to continue walking and hope to find them. That’s when I noticed it. At the end of the corridor was a black door. I knew I was in the Department of Mysteries, and it was ‘top secret,’ but I didn’t really care at that point. I hated when people called something ‘top secret.’ If you’re going to keep it a secret, don’t say anything about it in the first place.

So I glanced around, making sure there was no one near. It was clear. I quickened my pace toward the door, wanting to get there before getting caught. The Department of Mysteries had always intrigued me. I had heard many stories about it, most of them urban legends, but I was interested nonetheless.

My heart racing, I placed a hand on the doorknob and slowly turned it. The handle was cool against my sweaty skin and it felt nice. I never broke rules, and the taste of it was both exhilarating and scary.

Taking a breath, I stepped inside the room, unsure of what would come. The room wasn’t what I expected. It was… eerie, illuminated by candles with blue flames. The floor made it look as though I was standing in a foot of water, and my reflection startled me when I glanced down. Calm down, Lily, I commanded myself firmly. I had to stop being so jumpy.

For a moment, nothing happened. It was a split second of serenity before it all came crashing down. All of a sudden, the room began to spin.

The doors moved in a circular motion, making it so I couldn’t tell which one had been there previously. And it scared me. I didn’t know what I had got myself into, but I could tell it wasn’t good.

So I turned to the door closest to me, wanting to get out as soon as I could. As I pushed open the door, a chill ran down my spine. I knew that the door would not take me out, but farther in. With an uneasy feeling, I ventured forward.

*

The door was heavy, but I managed to impel it open. This time, as I entered the room, my wand was in front of me, ready for what was to come.

Taking a breath and putting on a brave face, I stepped into the room.

I tried to squint through the blackness, but could see nothing. All I knew was the room was big and hollow, for the echo of the door shutting rang through the air just like it did in my basement.

All of a sudden, the lights flickered on and I couldn’t contain my screaming. Something was terribly wrong…

The room was flipped and I was standing on the ceiling. My head dangled down and blood rapidly rushed into it.

Fear filled my body. All of the air dropped from my lungs and I couldn’t breathe. I gasped for any air I could, but it was fruitless. I was having a panic attack.

My worst fear wasn’t of heights, per se, but it was of falling. It was that feeling before drifting asleep. The one where you freefall into the abyss, only catching yourself by jerking awake. It was letting yourself go; losing all control of what happened to you, and that scared me more than anything.

I manoeuvred myself around, my chest tightening every moment. I was afraid to walk, for fear of falling. I was afraid to lift a foot from the ground. I would have been afraid to breathe, but my body took care of that one for me.

I turned around and pulled on the door, wanting to get out of the room as soon as possible. But it was no use; it was locked. I pounded on it, clinging it in terror. It wouldn’t budge though and no one was coming to open it.

I only had one choice “ to find a way to the door on the other side of the room, fifteen feet above my head.

The room was large and drafty, with benches above my head. It resembled a courtroom, but one that had not been used in many years. Without straining my head too far, I could see cobwebs collecting in the corner and “ was that blood “ on the stone floor?

A chill scampered up my spine and I bit my lip. My head was beginning to ache from the being upside down and I knew I had to reach the door quickly.

I slipped my wand in my pocket and began to move slowly, clinging to the wall with both hands. I held every other muscle in place and slid my feet along the ceiling. Beyond my terror, it was the oddest situation I had ever encountered. I was in the Department of Mysteries…on the ceiling. It was too farfetched for words. I even had an urge to let out a giggle.

This was short-lived though, for the lights flashed again and I screamed. It was different this time though. It wasn’t the flickering of a faulty light bulb. The room lit up as if lightening struck. Only in this moment of light, ropes appeared around the room. But they weren’t just ropes, people were hanging from them.

I screamed again. But they were gone as quickly as they appeared. When the room returned to its normal lighting, there was nothing there.

At first I suspected my imagination may have been running away with me, but I knew I hadn’t dreamed up the hanged people.

This sped up my movement. I slid my feet as quickly as I could move, my chest rising and falling rapidly.

A few more feet and I was there. The door was right below me, but a problem still remained “ how to reach the door.

That’s when it came to me. I could use my wand! Careful not to let it fall, I slipped it out of my pocket and mumbled a spell to levitate me down.

At first, I thought it was working, since a green light emitted from the tip of my wand. But nothing happened. The green light just fizzled out.

I sighed; I knew how the game worked. I’d have to jump. Although I was afraid to, especially being upside down, there was something exhilarating about it. It was a challenge, and I think I might have been braver than I thought.

So closing my eyes, I let myself fall, awaiting the crash. There was a looping sensation that I had when riding a roller coaster, the feeling of your stomach rising upwards.

And it was done. I landed on my back, but it didn’t hurt as much as I anticipated. Opening an eye, I was on the cold ground. The bloodstained ground.

Wincing as I stood, I rushed for the door.

*

I was scared to open the next door. I didn’t know what awaited me. It could have been anything “ dragons, monsters of the dead, dark wizards and I was reluctant to move on, but I knew that I had to. I couldn’t stay in the room forever. I didn’t know if anyone even noticed my absence. Especially with James completely engrossed in the other girl.

So I walked in. I walked in like I wasn’t afraid of what was awaiting me. I walked in like a Gryffindor would. I walked with my arm stretched in front of me, wand outreached. I couldn’t change what was happening. I didn’t have an option. But I did have a choice between being a coward and being brave. I chose bravery.

Either I would die courageously or get through whatever the next task was.

All of a sudden, I was wet. Confused, I realised that I was up to my neck in water. Treading water, I examined my surroundings. I had to be thankful that the water was warm. Within a second, I realised I was in a lake. There was no floor, just a pond.

On the other side of the, well, lake, there was a door. And as I squinted, I could see a key next to it. It’s too easy, I thought. There was no way that key was the correct one. There had to be a catch.

That’s when a glint of gold caught my eye. There was another key on the ceiling! I really hoped it wasn’t that key. There was no way I could reach it. It was impossible “ how could I get it from the ceiling?

I submerged my head in the water. My eyes stung when I opened them, but it was worth it, for I spotted another key at the bottom of the water.

I could have tried to get the key from the bottom. I could have swum to the bottom, holding my breath, but I knew it would have been pointless. I knew, in my heart, that the key dangling from the ceiling was the one that would fit.

My legs were getting tired from trying to stay afloat and I knew I didn’t have much time before I would be struggling to swim. Choking on a little water, I pushed my arm above the water and pointed my wand at the key. “Accio,” I murmured, water entering my mouth. The waves were getting higher and choppier, continuing to rise every moment.

I needed to think. I needed to find a way to get the key without magic. Or without using magic on the key. An idea came to me.

I couldn’t use magic on the key; it didn’t mean that I couldn’t use magic on something to get the key. But what?

Fighting against the waves, I pointed my wand at myself. It was getting difficult and I wasn’t sure I could perform the spell. I didn’t have to concentration, not when trying to resist growing waves, which were beginning to take over my head.

You have to do it, a voice whispered in my head. With a sudden burst of strength and clarity, I levitated myself up. I had never done it on myself and it was scarier than I imagined. I had to keep my wand moving upward to keep myself in the air. But I was almost there; the key was a foot away.

Losing concentration, I slipped downward, but made a last grab for the key. I fell “ freefalling ten feet into rocky water. My stomach rose to my mouth and I lost all breath.

I was back into the water, drowning. But I had the key! The smooth metal was in my hand. I began to swim, under the water, so the waves couldn’t attack me.

I was at the door! Maybe it was closer than I thought….

I found the strength to lift myself from the water and collapsed on the ground. Starved for oxygen, I took deep breaths and tried to regain any sort of energy.

After what seemed like hours, I got onto my knees and put the key into the door. It fit perfectly and the door opened…

*

I felt awful as I walked through the door “ my skin and clothes were soaked, my hair tangled and dripping, my hands shaking, and my heart pumping rapidly. I couldn’t remember the spell for drying, so tiny rivers flew down my body and my robes stuck to me uncomfortably.

But at the same time, I was exhilarated. There was something about the tasks that made me feel alive. There was something about being in the face of danger and escaping it that I never knew I loved.

I rang my hair out, which produced about a gallon of water, and dried my face with my hand before walking through the door. Interested to see what lay ahead of me, I closed it behind me and looked ahead.

The room was huge, in both length and width, and it scared me a little bit. I had never seen a room so big. Each wall was identical “ just white. The floor and ceiling, all white. Someone could go crazy in a room like that.

Out of all I had been through, it was the room that scared me the most. I wanted to turn back, to scream, to get out of there as fast as I could “ it was like a mental institution. So I whipped around, ready to pound furiously on the door. But it was gone. There was no door.

I began to panic. My eyes searched the room rapidly and my chest rose and fell. I was hyperventilating. That’s when I noticed something, the room suddenly looked smaller.

The walls were slowly moving inward and I really became alarmed. There was no door and no way out, it seemed. The worst part was, I knew I didn’t have much time. Every second, the walls were closer and I was closer to my death.

I needed an idea. I needed someway out. Come on Lily. Think. Think! I ordered.

But I couldn’t think. Not with the perfectly white walls growing ever nearer. All I could see was white. I wasn’t aware there was any colour in the world. It was just white.

I was going crazy and I knew I needed to snap out of it. I knew I would never escape if I lost my mind. So I took a breath and scanned my mind. I needed to think of something real. I needed a picture of something to keep me sane.

And there was James. He was leaning against the back wall, smiling easily. I loved his grin; it was so… boyish and mischievous. I found myself smiling at the picture of him.

So I shook my fear and looked for a way out “ nothing. Then I knew. I knew there was only one way out, and it wasn’t through a door. I knew what I needed to do.

I closed my eyes. This was the end. There were no more rooms after this. Overwhelmed with a sense of peace, I pictured the group. I pictured the lobby of the Ministry of Magic. I concentrated on it with all my might.

When I opened my eyes, I wasn’t in the white room anymore. I was in the lobby of the Ministry of Magic, everyone gathered around me. It took me a moment to comprehend had happened. It worked! I had Apparated out!

“Well done, Miss Evans,” the Minister of Magic said with a toothy grin, shaking my hand enthusiastically.

“W-what?” It felt as though I hadn’t spoken in years. The words sounded funny rolling off of my tongue, foreign almost.

“You did an excellent job. You used everything we’re looking for at the Ministry “ resourcefulness, bravery, intelligence, wits and creativeness. I can personally ensure you a job here next year.”

I was stunned. What had my near-death experiences really been? A Ministry planned obstacle course?

“So this-this was “ this was planned?” I asked, dumbfounded.

“Of course. You didn’t think we’d really let students wander off for that long, did you? We knew that someone would have the urge to wander in and that person would be tested to the extreme. You, Miss Evans, passed with flying colours.”

It all clicked, and I was furious! How could they do that to me? Put me through those things for nothing, for some silly antic. Did they really expect me to work there next year, after putting me through all that?

I was about to open my mouth and tell the Minister of Magic all this, let my rage do the talking, when someone else came forth with harsh tones.

“Look at her!” cried a male voice. “She’s soaked, probably sick “ a mess! She’s been through hell and it was all a joke. It’s disgusting. How could you put a student through this? And make us watch? What did you hope, we’d learn something? Not to wander off in the Ministry? If you’re supposed to be looking out for the entire Magical world of England, then I’m quite afraid.”

I had never seen James Potter so angry and it made my heart soar. Well, before I realised it was probably just the ordeal he didn’t like and it probably had nothing to do with me. All the same, I was glad he was talking rather than me. I didn’t have the strength.

That’s when James’ statement hit me. They all watched? That’s what drove me the edge. How could the so-called Minister of Magic do that? Let them all watch me suffer in terror. The idea was appalling.

The Minister gave some pathetic excuse, caught off guard by all of our anger. But James didn’t answer. He gave the man an icy stare and said, “I suppose Professor Dumbledore doesn’t know about this.” He could tell by the man’s face that he didn’t. “That won’t be the case for long.” And he turned toward me.

He put his arm around me and pulled me toward him, embracing me.

“You okay?” he asked, his mouth near my ear.

“Yeah, I think so.” He smiled.

“Good. You must be freezing.” He easily sent a drying spell my way, his arms still around me, something that made me thankful.

The group moved toward the entrance and we did too, straggling behind. He let me go, but kept close, so our arms brushed against each other’s. I almost melted.

“Oh Merlin, Lily. I’m glad you’re all right,” James let out. It was as if he had been holding his breath the whole time and could finally release it when I was in his arms. “I was so worried “ I really was. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you.”

He ran a hand through his hair in relief.

“Really?” I asked after a moment, genuinely surprised. Was he actually saying these things to me?

James nodded, blushing a little, something I found incredibly cute.

“I know I act stupid sometimes and don’t always show it, but you-you’re everything to me. You really are. And I know I kissed you that day and then started flirting with other girls and acting like an idiot. But, I dunno, I wanted to see if you really liked me. And then you told me you did and I was just so,” he paused, letting out air, “stupid.” I was hanging on his every word. “I knew I had you and didn’t realise any of it until just now.”

“So, you and Anya?” I asked, wanting to be positive he was all mine before celebrating.

“Never anything. I just liked seeing you jealous; I guess I thought it made up for all those years when I was always jealous.”

I smiled. “You are an idiot.”

James laughed. “I know.”

“So, what are we concluding from this?” I asked, hoping he would say what I wanted to hear him say.

“That you and I are going to Hogsmeade together next weekend.”

I grinned; I couldn’t contain it or hold it back. I was too happy.

“Pretty good conclusion,” I answered, grabbing his hand “ something gutsy for me.

That’s when it hit me. Doors would open and close. They would move and shift; they would change. The rooms would change and would never be what you expected. They would be mysteries and adventures, terrifying and exciting. And that’s what I wanted “ a combination of it all. But I also wanted a constant, someone to go through it all with. I wanted to sit back at the end of the day with someone and get ready to open the next door. And I knew who that person was.

“Hey, James?” I asked, going out on a whim.

“Hmm?”

“Next time I’m in the Ministry, going through crazy rooms that are upside down and lakes and closing in on me, I want you there.”

James turned his head to look at me. His hazel eyes glowed as they looked into my emerald ones. I could tell that he felt the same way I did. “I want to be there,” he whispered.

He took his hand out from my clasp, and put his arm around me, pulling me toward him. I leaned my head inward and, at that moment, knew I was prepared for anything that came my way. In complete bliss, we walked through the door of the Ministry. After all, it was just another door.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67696