For Want of a Nail by the nutty imp
Summary: This is a strange tale about events that resulted to Neville Longbottom becoming the-boy-who-lived.

I blame a dead crup, Sirius, Bellatrix and some escaped fairies. Wipe that smirk off your face, I'm being serious here... really!


Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2419 Read: 2821 Published: 05/30/07 Updated: 05/30/07

1. May 2007 One-Shot Challenge by the nutty imp

May 2007 One-Shot Challenge by the nutty imp
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful beta: solemnlyswear_x

FOR WANT OF A NAIL

For want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For want of a horse the rider was lost,
For want of a rider the message was lost,
For want of the message the battle was lost,
For want of the battle the war was lost,
For want of the war the kingdom was lost,
And all this for the want of a nail.

“ Anonymous “





All witches and wizards celebrated as the Dark Lord has been defeated. They mourned for the heroes - those who sacrificed their lives, mourned for the boy’s family, yet above all they cheered for him, The Boy Who Lived. Neville Longbottom prevailed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named this night.

As the crowd celebrated, a man atop a flying motorcycle carried the child away from the world that they know. The child had to be kept safe and hidden from the Dark Lord’s followers for the next 10 years of his life.

This would be the time where you’d say: ‘Stop. Hold it right there. You’ve got the story all wrong.’

But I did get it right. Fortunately for the Potters, events took a different turn here. All this was brought about by a seemingly unimportant event on the summer of 1965…





THE NAIL


A seven year old boy defiantly stood in front of Bellatrix. “You started it. You killed Regulus’ pet crup.”

Bellatrix was about to hex her cousin when her mum, Druella, stopped her. “Bella, let me handle this.”

“Mum, those fairies were a gift from Rodolphus,” fourteen year old Bellatrix Black complained.

“And they don’t like you, that’s why they ran away,” the young boy shot back gleefully.

Bellatrix glared at her cousin. “You opened the cage and let them out the window, you brat!”

Druella sighed. “I said I will handle this, Bella.”

Druella dragged the sullen boy out of the room. She started to walk towards the Drawing Room, but changed her mind. Sirius’ action was unacceptable, but it probably did not deserve the full fury of Walburga Black. A lecture from Orion would probably be enough.

She entered the Library and found the man on his usual chair. “Orion.”

He frowned at being disturbed from his reading. “What is it, Druella?”

She was just too tired to explain. “Sirius, why don’t you tell your father.”

As expected the boy was quick to explain and justify his action. “Well it started when Regulus’ crup, Polaris, bit Bella… but it was just a small nip. Bella killed Polaris and Regulus was very upset. I offered to get Regulus another crup. Bella told us that if we get another crup, she would do the same thing. So I released those fairies Bella got from her boyfriend. If anyone ought to be punished, it would be Bella, not me. If she’s allowed to kill crups, then I should be allowed to release a few stupid fairies.”

Druella raised an eyebrow. Her brother-in-law sighed and gestured for her to leave. “I’ll handle it from here, Druella.” He waited until his sister-in-law had left the room before he turned to face his son. “Now Sirius, do you know what you did wrong here?”

Sirius bit his lower lip. “I should have just gotten Regulus another crup?”

“No, you got caught.”

The boy stared at his father dumbfounded.

“Moreover releasing those fairies did nothing, if you really wanted to punish Bellatrix, it should be something with a bit more impact and maybe even subtle.”

The boy took in his father’s every word. “What should I have done?”

Orion Black picked up his book. “You’re a Black, you ought to know your enemies, you should manipulate people and make them believe that you have good intentions. Most of all … you don’t get caught. Now get out and do me proud.”

---


The next day, Sirius Black approached his aunt. “Aunt Druella, I’m sorry about yesterday.”

She nodded coolly at the boy. “It’s Bella who deserved an apology.”

The boy nodded. “I know, that’s why I replaced her fairies, but I also thought that I ought to get you something as well.”

She was surprised when he handed her a crup puppy. “The man from the shop said that crups are extremely loyal and fierce creatures. They do their utmost to protect their owners.”

Druella smiled touched by the boy’s thoughtfulness. “All is forgiven, Sirius”

Sirius smiled not because of his aunt’s forgiveness, but because he knew for a fact that Bella hated crups. He stifled his laughter when he heard Bella’s screams from the 2nd floor. His cousin rushed down, her hair in disarray. “Mum! That brat planted Cornish Pixies in my room!

Sirius maintained a blank look and continued to stare at his cousin, as if confused.

“Bella, calm down,” Druella soothed her daughter, “Sirius was only trying to replace your fairies. I highly doubt that a seven year old would know the difference between fairies and Cornish Pixies.”

---


Druella Rosnier Black’s decision to bring the naughty Sirius Black to Orion instead of Walburga that day brought major repercussions…

Had Walburga been left to deal with young Sirius Black, she would have punished him. Punishment would have planted the seed for his defiance and the start of that rebellious streak. Instead Orion planted into the boy the idea of using deceit and cunning to get his way.





THE SHOE


“Slytherin!”

Sirius proudly marched towards the seat beside his cousin, Narcissa.

---


Seated beside Severus Snape, Sirius frowned for James Potter successfully performed the charm before he did. His eyes narrowed towards the other boy, “No Gryffindor Blood Traitor ought to do better than a Black,” he muttered

He watched as two other Gryffindors congratulated Potter. Sirius smiled, there was no mistaking the mischievous glint in his eye; with a wave of his wand both Sirius' and Snape's feather suddenly dived towards James Potter.

"Ouch!" James glared towards the Slytherin table.

Sirius shrugged. "Sorry, I lost control."

Severus Snape gave his seat-mate an incredulous look; the rest of the Slytherins merely snickered. Sirius Black ignored everything and picked up another feather, which he carefully placed in front of his desk.

James had decided to dismiss the incident, when he was hit by another feather.

“Slipped,” Sirius Black drawled whilst he picked up another feather; there was no mistaking the gleeful smirk on his face as he moved the feather around to find a correct angle.

"That's it Black!" James raised his wand and pointed it towards the annoying Slytherin, "Stupefy!"

"Protego!"

James blinked as the shield created by Professor Flitwick blocked his spell. Sirius Black remained on his seat, seemingly confused.

"Mister Potter. I will not tolerate anyone attacking another student inside my class. Detention for the whole of this week and ten points from Gryffindor."

James Potter gritted his teeth as Sirius Black took a bow from behind the Charms Professor.

---


Being Sorted into Slytherin would mean that Sirius was never a friend to James Potter. What existed between them instead was the rivalry typical between Gryffindors and Slytherins. Each boy would try to surpass the other in every possible endeavor.




THE HORSE


“Dung, are you sure about this?”

“Yes, those are the books and ingredients that James Potter bought from me.”

Sirius paid Mundungus Fletcher and smiled, for Potter was obviously studying to become an Animagus. He, Sirius Black would just have to learn this sort of magic faster than his rival. No way would he allow James Potter to show him up.

---


It was late; Frank Longbottom had just finished his detention sentence with Professor Slughorn. As he passed one or the spare storeroom, he heard something crashed. The door flung open as Regulus Black grabbed him. “You got to help my brother; I tried to warn him…”

Frank rushed inside and found Sirius Black unconscious; he knelt beside the younger boy, who felt cold and clammy to his touch. Regulus just stood by the corner, shocked.

Frank immediately stood up and rummaged through the bottles of ingredients, several fell towards the floor due to his frantic search. He found the pouch of Bezoar and quickly shoved one down the younger boy’s throat.

Horace Slughorn walked in, only to find Frank Longbottom kneeling beside his favourite pupil. “What happened?” He then noticed the books and potions atop the table and narrowed his eyes.

Sirius Black sat up with a pounding headache made worse as his professor started to scream at him.

“Mr. Black! Such a reckless act I would expect from a Gryffindor, not you. If you wish to learn about Animagus transformations, there are proper precautions to be made! You’re lucky Mr. Longbottom was here to save you, you owed him a Wizard’s Debt…”

---


Both being Sorted into Slytherin, the Black brothers never drifted apart. They remained to be one another’s best friend.

An accident in the Potions dungeons resulted in Sirius Black owing Frank Longbottom a life debt.

Of course the fact that Sirius wasn’t a Marauder would mean that he had never lured Severus Snape into the Whomping Willow. Thus Severus Snape will not owe James Potter a life debt.





THE RIDER


“You’re lying!” James Potter shouted.

Gray eyes stared straight towards the shaken man. “I have no reason for doing so.”

“You’re a Black and a Death Eater, you’ve lied and cheated to serve your purpose for as long as I’ve known you,” James voice faltered at the other man’s steady gaze.

“Voldemort killed my brother. My loyalty was never for his cause, but to my family.” He took a deep breath. “I no longer care whether I live or die. Facing the Dark Lord’s wrath would probably be something I’d look forward to.” He gave a wry grin and turned towards the other man sitting in the room. “Frank and Alice alright?”

Albus Dumbledore nodded. “Thanks to you, they’re now recovering and spending time with their son. Although I doubt it would take Voldemort long to realize that you’re the one who killed Barty and the Lestranges.”

Sirius shrugged. “I do owe Frank a debt, and I’m glad to do it.” His eyes darkened. “They’re the ones who killed Regulus.”

James Potter shook his head. “Peter, a Death Eater … I still can’t believe that.”

“You don’t have to,” Sirius drawled, “just don’t choose him to be your Secret Keeper.” He jerked his thumb towards Albus Dumbledore. “Have that old bat do it instead.”

James blinked at Sirius’ irreverence towards the Headmaster. Dumbledore merely chuckled.

“What are you going to do now?” he asked.

“Hide and wait,” Sirius answered, “Voldemort would not likely find me; he does not know I’m an Animagus.”

---


The Potters made Dumbledore their Secret Keeper and so Voldemort decided to concentrate his efforts towards the Longbottoms first.




THE MESSAGE


She lightly berated her son to take it easy. Unfortunately Frank Longbottom is not one to listen, Neville squealed in delight as his father made him float on air.

Augusta frowned for there was something wrong; Frank and Alice sensed it as well. It was not possible… Alastor Moody would not have betrayed them. But standing outside was Lord Voldemort, there was no mistaking the figure with glowing red eyes headed their way.

“Mother! Get Neville out of here!”

Mrs. Longbottom found that she could not Apparate out of the house. Having no other option, she ran upstairs with her grandchild. At the bottom of the steps, Frank and Alice Longbottom stood together to face the Dark Lord.

As she ran towards the nursery, Augusta Longbottom held her grandchild close. She knew that her son and daughter-in-law would not stand a chance against the Dark Lord. The manor shook from the force of the battle. She tried to block the sound of the battle below and soothe the crying infant.

---


Frank’s mother desperately performed that ancient spell which protected Neville from Lord Voldemort’s curse. The results … as expected.




THE BATTLE


Soft paws scattered the dust about the ground; he was unable to apparate to a nearer location, his current dog form could run faster than he ever could. The information he garnered from Severus Snape made him rush all the way to this place; an owl was already sent to Albus Dumbledore.

Sirius Black cursed the Longbottoms for being sensible enough to keep the identity of their Secret Keeper a secret. He also cursed Polyjuice Potions and stupid Gryffindors in general. Alastor Moody had been Voldemort's prisoner for almost a year, the man with whom Frank and Alice had performed the Fidelus Charm was not Moody.

He arrived to find the skeletal remains of the manor; the place reeked of acrid smoke and dark magic. It did not look as though there were any survivors, strange was the fact that there was no Dark Mark flashing above the night sky, his ears pricked at the sound of a crying child.

---


All wizards and witches rejoiced at the end of Lord Voldemort’s reign of terror. Neville Longbottom was now known as The Boy Who Lived.

---


But now that Neville was orphaned with neither his parents nor his grandmother to care for him... As the spell goes, he would need to live with the closest living relative from his grandmother’s side.




THE WAR


“What?” He gaped, unable to believe Dumbledore’s proposition.

“Sirius, you are the closest blood relative of Augusta Longbottom, there is no one else.”

“Albus, I’m a former Death Eater, and you’re actually entrusting me with The Boy Who Lived?” He waved his left hand in a gesture of surrender. “That has got to be the daftest thing, you had ever proposed. Have you ever thought of getting yourself a public relations specialist?”

Albus Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled merrily. “I trust you with Neville as much as I trust Severus with my students.”

---


Our story ends as Sirius Black took Neville, The Boy Who Lived, with him on his flying motorcycle and flew off into the night sky beyond.




THE KINGDOM


Now we have an altogether different kingdom … all this for want of a nail.

As for Neville’s continuing battle against Lord Voldemort? That is altogether a different tale.





The End?





This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67847