Ravenclaw's Day by Igo Retla
Summary: We all know it--one day Lord Voldemort will attempt to breach Hogwart's defenses. Of course, everyone must stand together to resist his efforts!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3070 Read: 1392 Published: 06/01/07 Updated: 06/01/07

1. Chapter 1 by Igo Retla

Chapter 1 by Igo Retla
Author's Notes:
When J.K. Rowling said that "Ravenclaw will have it's day", I found myself puzzling over it. What depths have we not yet seen of the denizens of Ravenclaw House--and how might the students rally to defend their beloved school? And, of course, our heroes have a role to play.

Did I mention that the Sorting Hat was right--the four Houses must unite?

This story was, of course, written just prior to Deathly Hallows' release.



1 September, First Day
Michael Corner took a seat near the middle of the Ravenclaw table, and his eyes were troubled. The line of students straggling into the Great Hall seemed far thinner than usual, and he gazed about as the other tables slowly began to fill. Not surprisingly, the Gryffindor table was quite full. The Hufflepuffs, “loyal to your school” and all that, he supposed, were quite well represented as well. Even the Slytherin table was reasonably well populated, especially considering what had happened over the summer. It was his own table which brought the frown to his face, for there were noticeably fewer than the other tables, at least among the lower year Ravenclaws. He glanced over in surprise as Padma Patil sat down beside him.

“Oi! I thought your parents pulled you and Parvati out of school!”

Padma nodded distantly in reply.

“Yes, well, we’re seventeen now, aren’t we? If we’re not in school, we’re adults and on our own. So…we’re adults, and at Hogwarts.”

Michael nodded in agreement. He had figured that’s why almost all of Hogwart’s seventh-years seemed to be present. Just then the doors of the Great Hall opened, and Hagrid led a long line of first years through the door.

“Rather a lot of them, aren’t there?”

“Mostly Muggle-borns, so their parents don’t know about the war,” Terry Boot chimed in from his other side.

“But,” Michael continued, looking closely at the Gryffindor table for the first time. “Where’s Potter? I wouldn’t have thought he’d be afraid to come to Hogwarts?”

“Right there,” Anthony Goldstein, prefect badge gleaming, settled wearily opposite Michael, nodding towards the end of the string of first-years, where a tall, dark haired figure hovered protectively. “He’s Head Boy.”

“And,” Padma added, pressing a round, silver object into Michael’s hand with a glint in her eye, “He’s reactivating the D.A.”

**

30 June, The Battle of Hogwarts
Ron Weasley scowled as he waited on the balcony overlooking the Entrance Hall with a gaggle of Ravenclaw fourth- and fifth-years. Most were huddled near the wall, out of sight, wands at the ready, but he and a single figure knelt peering through the balustrade at the scene below.

“Invisibility cloaks? Where’d they get so many?”

“Not everyone needs cloaks to be invisible,” Stewart Ackerly, a fourth-year Ravenclaw, seemed oblivious as Ron’s scowl deepened. “It’s a difficult spell, but the D.A. thought that it was important to learn while you three were away weekends, Mr. Weasley.”

Fortunately Stewart seemed equally oblivious to Ron’s suddenly reddened ears as his admiring eyes flicked towards the Gryffindor seventh-year. Luckily, Stewart’s face quickly turned back towards the floor below. “I’d be down there myself, if I could have gotten the non-verbal spells down.” Ron felt a sudden pang at the clear regret in Stewart’s eyes. “Orla Quirke is with them, she’s in my year. Wait”here they come.”

With a splintering sound, Hogwart’s immense front doors burst open, and a half dozen figures slipped inside. Ron gripped his wand tightly, and his eyes narrowed in sudden dislike and revulsion as he saw the hooded and masked figures below. Arrogantly they strode through the doorway into the entrance hall.

“Remember the plan,” Ron whispered, as much to Stewart as to himself.

The six figures paused in the entrance hall, right where Delores Umbridge had once tormented Sybill Trelawney, then turned towards one another to confer in the middle of the apparently deserted Hall.

“Now,” Ron mumbled, intent on the scene below.

Almost as if hearing him, twenty white jets of light erupted from the periphery of the hall, rocketing towards the figures in the center. Ron watched, intrigued, as the diorama unfolded. Many of the jets missed, but robed figures flickered into sight briefly, apparently silently casting Shield spells, for many of the white jets rebounded back into the center of the Hall. In a moment, each of the six figures had been hit at least once. Ron blinked, for where there had been six figures, there were now twelve. All of the robed figures near the walls had disappeared as suddenly as they had appeared.

“And that’s the spell,” Stewart whispered excitedly. “The Doppelganger, the Evil Twin Charm.”

Ron could see the six original figures milling uncertainly. The six new masked and robed figures were spreading out in a line facing them.

“Each Death Eater now has his identical twin, with all of his abilities, knowledge and skills.” One of the Death Eaters, apparently sensing something amiss, shot a jet of red light towards the opposing figures”which was parried easily. Then a storm of spells erupted between the two groups. “Except that they have opposing personalities. And since the Death Eaters are bad, and mostly Slytherins”“

“The Evil Twins are good, and mostly Gryffindors.” Ron’s eyes met Stewart’s in with a matching, widening grin.

Below, one of the Death Eaters turned, and made a break for the door”which was a mistake, for his opponent quickly stepped forward to hit him with a stunner.

“Right! And since they aren’t really alive,” below, a green jet of light shot straight through one of the new figures. “They can’t be killed! A sixth year named Luna Lovegood found the spell from a book in the Room of Requirement.”

“And all the sixth- and seventh-year Ravenclaws are out of the entrance hall now, right?” Ron asked, suddenly worried as the Avada Kedavra blasted a chunk out of the wall.

Suddenly one hooded figure broke away from the melee and dashed up the stair, blocking hexes from his counterpart with a surprisingly strong Shield spell. A spell that didn’t hold when the Death Eater reached the top of the stairs, attention still focused below”and was greeted by a hail of shouted hexes and jinxes. Ron watched wide eyed, wand arm raised, as twenty-odd red, blue and yellow jets of light from the gathered Ravenclaws hit the shocked Death Eater, and blasted him halfway down the stairwell.

Stewart grinned at Ron’s stunned expression as he replied.

“That’s the plan. They should be waiting for the next group by the kitchens.”

“Well, not all of us.” Ron jumped as Anthony Goldstein popped into sight right beside him. “A few of us have…other plans. But that worked like a Charm, didn’t it?”

He and Ron grinned broadly, and Ron slapped him on the back.

“Rowena Ravenclaw would have been proud!”

Below, now outnumbered four to six, the tide of battle quickly shifted decisively. As the last Death Eater slumped to the ground unconscious, the six Evil Twins shimmered from existence.

“Cool,” Ron Weasley whispered.

**

Harry Potter stood between Minerva McGonagall and Filius Flitwick as all three pored closely over the Marauder’s Map in the Headmistress’s Office as six names in the Entrance Hall shifted from bright red ink to black. Everyone gathered about the table watched a different section of the map, and Harry barely noticed as Minerva turned away from the table and sent a shadowy feline from the tip of her wand, dashing through the door.

“No one near the youngsters in the Room o’ Requirement,” Rubeus Hagrid rumbled.

“Oh, no,” came a low moan next to the Care of Magical Creatures Professor. Hermione Granger leaned closer to the map as someone entered through the door McGonagall’s Patronus had just exited. “Bellatrix LeStrange just chased Neville into greenhouse seven. We should go help!”

Hermione must have sensed the lightening of the mood in response to her comment.

“What?”

“Well, Hermione, we’re the strategic reserve. We have to stay back for when we’re needed,” Harry Potter answered for all of the smirking faces. “Especially when”“

Wherever Voldemort shows up,” Filius Flitwick finished.

“Right. And, well”“ Harry began.

“And Neville Longbottom can handle himself in a greenhouse,” Pomona Sprout, patched hat sporting some new rents, a fresh cut raw on her face, interjected as she hastened to the table. “And Bellatrix Black could never be bothered to pay attention in Herbology, the silly girl…”

Two solitary dots glowed in the Herbology greenhouse, one an ugly red, the other a brilliant green.

**“

"Come out, come out Baby Longbottom, you cannot hide from me,” Bellatrix LeStrange crooned as she crept through the twilit greenhouse, wand extended. “I’ll finish what I started two years ago, I promise, and you can join your parents in that nice, comfy ward at St. Mungo’s.”

Silence was the only reply, then Bellatrix spun at a low rustle behind her.

“Lumos!”

The light from her wand tip illuminated Neville Longbottom standing in the shadows next to the greenhouse wall. Bellatrix began to make a slashing motion with her wand, then paused when she realized that the youngest Longbottom didn’t even have his wand in his hand. Her eyes narrowed at the strangely serene expression on his face, however.

“Foolish boy! Your parents didn’t surrender so easily!”

Eyes intent on the young man before her, Bellatrix didn’t notice the Devil’s Snare wrapping around her ankle, nor did she feel the Venomous Tentacula creeping up her shoulder. Again she began to wave her wand, but paused, confused, as Neville tugged, and lifted a plant from it’s pot.

Hanging from the leaves was the ugliest baby that she had ever seen. Bellatrix’s eyes narrowed in bemusement as the pudgy face contorted, bereft of it’s earthy home, and it’s mouth opened in a wail.

“That was only fitting, wasn’t it, Bella dear?” Neville remarked to the unconscious figure at his feet, and he carefully stuffed the young Mandrake back into it’s pot”before replacing the fluffy pink earmuffs that he had found on Pomona Sprout’s desk.

**

Harry Potter watched the map closely. Occasionally a green dot would turn black, and his stomach would wrench. But far more of the red names were becoming inert, and it seemed that sheer weight of numbers and proper preparation were taking their toll on the invading Death Eaters.

Harry heard a sudden chuckle, and looked across the table at Professor Bill Weasley, standing between Hermione and his wife Fleur. Horace Slughorn’s head turned as he followed Bill’s finger toward the clearly depicted Quidditch Stadium, where a group of red dotted Death Eaters were racing”no, fleeing”across the Pitch, pursued by a large green dot simply labeled Grawp. One by one the red names turned to black and motionless as Grawp steadily overtook them.

**

Luna Lovegood and Padma Patil stood behind the statue of Abel the Unable, a Wizard holding his wand backwards, on the second floor. A trio of Death Eaters was cautiously exiting from a stairwell hidden behind a tapestry. Wands extended, the three masked figures edged down the center of the hallway.

The two girls glanced at one another, then Padma gestured with her wand. Across the hall, ahead of the Death Eaters, a figure that could have been her twin stepped out of a classroom doorway, saw the three figures, screamed, and ran away from them down the hallway. Two of the three Death Eaters broke into a pursuing run as their companion shot a curse after the fleeing figure, then suddenly slowed, windmilling their arms, as the floor beneath their feet vanished”as did the fleeing girl. Both fell, screaming, into the suddenly revealed pit.

Their companion, a woman with long, golden hair, dropped her wand to her side and ran to the edge of the gaping hole. Moaning Myrtle looked up at her from where the pit funneled into the pipes running from her bathroom to the Chamber of Secrets”and stuck out her tongue. Behind the statue, Luna and Padma exchanged grins”and the protuberant eyed blond girl shrugged.

“Might as well get it over with,” she murmured, and stepped out from behind the statue.

The Death Eater hesitantly raised her wand, apparently uncertain whether she might be facing another phantom. Luna did as well.

“Accio,” she said simply, tugging the woman forward.

With a shriek of rage, the woman tumbled into the pit, sliding through the slimy pipes to be deposited deep into the tunnels leading to Slytherin’s Chamber.

“Thanks!” Myrtle floated over to the two young women with a distinctly unaccustomed, beaming smile on her face. “Olive Hornby’s granddaughter!”

The two Ravenclaws grinned at one another, and with a gesture the floor shimmered back into existence.

“Sometimes something just has to be seen to be believed,” Luna whispered to Padma. The two stepped back behind Abel’s statue just as two more Death Eaters trotted around the far corner…

**

“Now this is interesting,” Harry’s eyes turned away from where the dots marked Amycus Carrow and Alecto Carrow had just turned to black beside the green dots marked Finch-Fletchley, Bones, Macmillan, Abbott, Smith and Parkinson atop the Astronomy Tower.

**

Ernie Macmillan watched in astonishment as Pansy Parkinson rushed towards the two prone Death Eaters. His face blanched as a yellow jet of light shot from her wand, and Alecto’s hair shriveled, and fell from her head.

“That’s what you get for what you did to Draco last summer!” Pansy shrieked. Two pairs of hands pulled her away just as she kicked Amycus in a soft spot. Turning, Pansy’s pug face crumpled, and she sobbed hopelessly into Hannah Abbott’s shoulder.

**

“Now,” Blaise Zabini said to the motley group of Slytherin fifth-, sixth- and seventh years, including most of the previous year’s Quidditch team. “There’s no reason to let them see you.”

He carefully flicked the pink-colored string with a small orb on the end, and it unraveled around the corner of the dungeon hallway.

“After all,” he added, “that would means giving them a fair chance, and do you think they’re going to give that to you?”

His audience shook their heads gravely”and in unison.

“Of course not,” Blaise continued absently, peering through the Extendable Eye. “That kind of foolishness is for Gryffindors. Ah, there they are.”

Around the corner, two figures were working their way down the corridor, checking dungeon classrooms as they neared Severus Snape’s old office.

“Now,” Blaise tuned to face his audience, and pulled a clear crystal vial from his robes. “This is a kind of Muggle potion. Now, now,” he chided, seeing the dubious looks crossing a couple of his housemates’ faces. “Despite the propaganda, which has it’s place for less intelligent wizards,” two or three faces nodded reluctantly, “Muggles can be quite clever. And this…er, potion, can be quite useful, After all, it’s not magical, and few wizards think to check for Muggle potions or poisons.”

Blaise smiled complacently as he saw the dawning looks of comprehension”and answering grins”on the faces of his audience.

With a flick of his wand he sent the vial dancing up near the ceiling, and around the corner.

“And in a minute, Crabbe and Goyle can stuff them in the nearest broom closet,” the two hulking figures shuffled their feet and grunted, “and we can go looking for the next lot.”

**

Terry Boot raced out of the Charms classroom, dashed through a patch of glittering golden fog in the middle of the hallway, and dodged into another classroom. The startled Death Eater who had been standing staring at the fog made to follow”only to hold suddenly, midway through, with an arrested expression on her face. Terry stepped into the hallway, and with a flick the Death Eater’s wand soared into his hand. The next moment ropes shot out of the end of Terry’s wand, binding the woman. A third gesture, and the golden fog was sucked, as though by a vacuum, back into his wand.

“Practice makes perfect, you know,” he told the goggling Death Eater conversationally. “I’ll stash you with the other Death Eaters, then find another place for my little snare.”


**

“What’s that?” Harry asked, peering past the Charms Professor’s head.

“This group, over here by Hagrid’s hut, that just entered the grounds from the Whomping Willow,” Filius Flitwick’s finger traced the spot, and six heads leaned closer. “One of the four is labeled Severus Snape, but”“

Harry looked disbelievingly, for the dot marked Severus Snape was depicted in green. It couldn’t be a mistake, for Marcus Flint, Miles Bletchley and Adrian Pucey all glared an angry red. However, as Harry watched, first Flint, then the other two Death Eaters turned to an unconscious black, and remained stationary as the green dot marked Severus Snape proceeded towards the castle.

“Oh dear.” Flitwick glanced at Harry, then turned and shot something large and hairy galloping from his wand through the door. “That changes things a bit, doesn’t it?”

Just then, another dot appeared on the map. Glowing a blazing red that appeared about to ignite the yellow parchment, Tom Riddle quickly overtook the green dot labeled Severus Snape…which suddenly vanished completely from the map.

“Oh, my.”

All gathered about the table stared for a long moment, then turned almost in unison and sent a handful of varied Patronuses rushing through the door. Hermione touched her wand to a silver Sickle, then threw her arms about Harry in a huge hug, before breaking away, wide-eyed. Gazes lingered on Harry as all present moved to follow the vanished silvery forms down the moving stairs.

On the now neglected map, all of the scattered green dots suddenly moved rapidly away from the vicinity of the Entrance Hall, heading for a deserted stretch of the seventh floor corridor”aside from the one labeled Ronald Weasley, which joined a group blazing green marching down the stairs…unseen by anyone, the dot labeled Harry Potter had shifted, from a brilliant green hue to a rich, rippling gold.

In an empty corner of the parchment, sprawling words began to scroll across the page.

Mr. Moony wishes to offer Harry his full support--he'll do it!

Mr. Wormtail hopes that Harry beats the prat like a drum.

Mr. Padfoot will be standing right beind Prongs Jr, waiting for any opportunity to help.

Mr. Prongs waits for Harry to sweep the floor with the ugly git--that's m'boy!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67947