Time To Fly by KASK
Summary: Salazar is leaving. But before he goes, he pays Helga one last visit. And as much as she wants him to stay, it's time for him to fly.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1488 Read: 1712 Published: 06/02/07 Updated: 06/10/07

1. Time To Fly by KASK

Time To Fly by KASK
Author's Notes:
Thank you, Fresca (Colores).

Time To Fly


I left the window open today. And I’m not sure why. But it’s the only thing I can think of, the open window. My eyes stare at it, the cold air trickling in, and it’s all I can see.

I want to close it. I really do. I want the warmth of the fire on my skin. But I don’t know how I can ever feel warmth again.

He’s leaving. I know that he’s leaving. I can feel it deep inside of me, but I know I can’t stop him. There is nothing I can do, nothing I can say to make him stay. Soon Godric will enter my room and tell me that he’s gone.

I can hear him throwing things into his trunk. He’s really going. I knew he would be though. The hostility is getting to be too much to bear. And when I went into his classroom today, his favorite cloak was gone. He was already gathering his belongings.

There is a rap on the door. I close my eyes, not wanting to answer it. I don’t want Rowena or Godric to deliver the news. I want to wake up and find Salazar lying next to me. I want him to kiss my temple, and to sneak out of my room to prepare for his first class.

Another knock.

I peel my eyes away from the window. There is a moth perched on the windowsill, which I find odd, for it’s October. But it’s beautiful all the same. It’s milky white, like a pearl against the inky sky. I can picture it drifting through the air, moving gracefully.

Another tap on the door. I know I must answer it.

“Come in,” I say softly.

The door opens, but it is not Godric or Rowena. It’s Salazar. I look back to the window, trying to cover my pain.

The door closes.

“You’re leaving?” I can’t contain it. I want to cry out; I want to beg him to stay. I want to tell him that, even if he puts too much emphasis on blood, I can’t imagine life without him. Instead, I hold in my tears and act nonchalant.

He doesn’t answer; he simply walks across the room and takes a seat across from me.

“I can’t stay,” is all he says.

But he can! We can work things out; I know we can. Godric and Rowena, they would find a way to make it work. They don’t want to give up on our friendship any more than I do. It could go back to the way things used to be.

My head drops to the ground. I can’t face it. I can’t lose him.

“Look at me,” he says, gently lifting my face with his hand. It’s harder to stop the tears now.

“Stay,” I whisper. “Please. Don’t go.” His thumb wipes away my tears, but they keep coming. “Oh, please don’t go.” I begin to sob. I am stupid for thinking that I can get through the situation with dry eyes.

My face finds his neck and I weep into it. “I have to go,” he says into my ear. “I can’t stay.”

His words drive daggers into my heart. “Please, I need you. How am I supposed to live without you?” I sob. I would have never envisioned myself saying these things. I am a proud woman, and would never beg for someone’s affection. But this is different. He is the love of my life, and I am losing him.

“Helga.” He pulls me off of him and holds me by the shoulder. “Come with me.”

I blink. I want to run and grab my trunk, throw necessities into it and disappear into the night with him. My heart leaps at the thought. I want to forget it all and make Salazar my life. I am ready to say yes when my students’ faces come into my mind. Then Rowena and Godric. I know I can’t leave. I know I’m needed at Hogwarts.

“Helga. Marry me. I love you.” His green eyes are digging into mine. But I cannot handle their intensity, their burning gaze, so I tear myself away.

“I-I can’t leave. This is my life.” Salazar’s eyes are burning with ideas.

“We’ll make a new life.”

I shake my head, fresh tears falling. “It’s too much to ask. I belong here.”

He nods, looking hurt. I am hurt too. He can’t ask that of me, when he won’t stay. He can’t ask me to abandon my friends and home; it’s unfair.

Salazar stands abruptly. “This is goodbye, then.”

“Where are you going to go? What are you going to do?” I ask, wiping my eyes. I know that there is no other way.

Salazar shrugs. “To create an heir,” he says briskly. I place my head in my hands.

“Please don’t be angry. I can’t have you leave angry.” I can feel his face soften; he walks over to me and puts his arms around me. His body is familiar against my own, his beard scruffy against my skin.

“I’m not angry at you.” I don’t believe him. “Listen to me.” I look up. “I don’t blame you for not being able to leave. I just can’t stay. Do you understand me?” he asks tenderly. I nod, feeling like a small child.

I take in everything about him, from his burning green eyes to his dark brown hair. I remember the curve of his smile and his lopsided eyebrows.

He checks his pocket watch. “I have to go,” he says wistfully. I hold him closely for one more minute.

“I guess this is goodbye,” he whispers. I don’t answer; I can’t. I simply press my lips against his.

He pulls away and kisses my lightly on the cheek. “Goodbye, Helga.” He stands and moves elegantly through the room.

“Salazar?” I manage to say. He stops at the door and looks back. “Do you love me?”

He pauses, his gaze unwavering. “I do,” he finally says proudly.

“Then this isn’t goodbye. It’s never goodbye. You’ll be here, with me. And I’ll be with you.” I can tell he is on the brink of tears, something I’ve never seen. “I love you,” I murmur. He doesn’t respond, but I know he hears me.

Salazar turns the doorknob and leaves quietly. Staring at where he once stood, I listen to his footsteps fade into the night. My eyes sting once again. I know that I will think about what could have happened if I went with him for the rest of my life. I know there will be some days when I hate my decision and wish I could choose differently. I know that regret will linger, but I also know that if I went with him, I could never be completely happy. I know that Rowena and Godric would be ever present. If I abandoned Hogwarts with Salazar, up and left my friends, my work, my school, I wouldn’t be able to face myself.

I created Hogwarts. I could never leave, not like Salazar. As much as I love him, how could he feel no loyalty to his school, to his friends? He just vanishes like smoke in the air.

Silently, I pad to my seat by the window. I think I can see the shadow of Salazar in the distance, but know it’s just my imagination.

I look down at the windowsill. The moth is no longer there. It flew away, maybe seeking new adventures, maybe running; maybe it was just its time to fly. Or maybe it just couldn’t stay any longer.

I think that’s it. How long could a moth stay on a windowsill? It’s not where a moth belongs, and no matter how much I wish it were true, Salazar doesn’t belong at Hogwarts anymore. It stopped being his home a long time ago.

I sigh and stare into the darkness of the night. I can hear the distance giggles of students out of bed, but I don’t bother. Tonight, I will allow them their freedom and fun. Another moth lands on my window, attracted to the dim light of my room.

A moth flies away, and another one comes “ different, but a moth nonetheless. The other one had to fly, a better reason to leave than Salazar’s, but both were out of my hands. I won’t forget him, but it was his decision. I know I cannot dwell on something out of my control.

There is a knock on my door. Salazar is gone.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67966