Deign by miss padfoot
Summary: HBP missing moment. After Ron gets poisoned on his birthday, Lavender and Hermione come to visit him.

This is for SPEW 007, prompt 'Deign'.
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1542 Read: 3402 Published: 06/08/07 Updated: 06/16/07

1. Chapter 1 by miss padfoot

Chapter 1 by miss padfoot
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my lovely betas Ron x Hermione and lucilla_pauie! ♥


Sunlight streamed through the high windows as the cosy hospital wing of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry stirred to life. Madam Pomfrey bustled around the bed on which the lone occupant of the wing lay sprawled, mouth slightly open, and his chest rising and falling rhythmically. Drawing the blinds away, she placed a tray of breakfast and a collection of carefully chosen potions by his bedside, and vanished into her office.

Ronald Weasley jerked awake as the bright sunlight hit him. Lifting his hand quickly to shield his eyes, he groaned as he turned on his side. The aroma of eggs and bacon being irresistible, he sat up, yanking the covers up to his chin. Pulling the tray eagerly towards him, he took a spoonful of eggs when –

“Won-Won!”

Bugger.

Lavender Brown was running towards him, face shining. “Oh, Ronald!” She engulfed him in a massive hug, smothering his face with kisses.

Ron groaned inwardly; his head, already sore, now started to throb. “Gerroff, Lavender, I’m fine … really,” he said weakly.

“Oh, Ronald,” she repeated, wringing her hands around his neck and positively strangling him in the process.

“Really, Lavender,” he said firmly, drawing away from her.

“Oh, Ronald, I’ve been so worried for you, baby.” Reluctantly, she let go of his neck and caught his hand in a vice-like grip instead. Ron swore silently, half-wishing Madam Pomfrey would come and shoo Lavender away.

“How are you feeling, sweetheart?” she asked, batting her eyelashes for added effect.

“Fine,” he lied quickly, looking away.

“Oh, baby,” she simpered. “Here, let me help you with breakfast.”

Without waiting for a response, she reached for the spoon.

“No, thanks,” Ron said hurriedly, pulling the spoon from her reach. Why the heck is she treating me like a bloody five-year-old? “I can help myself.”

Lavender probably caught a drift of his frosty indifference for she smiled sadly and said, “You’ve changed, Ronald.”

“No, I haven’t,” he snapped.

“Then how,” she fired back, “did Hermione Granger know about you being poisoned before me?”

“Hermione’s my friend,” he said, toying with the spoon.

“But I’m your girlfriend!”

“So?”

“So?” she repeated, bursting into anguished sobs. “Your friend is informed about you being poisoned but no one bothers telling me. And I’m you’re girlfriend, not Hermione Granger!”

Ron groaned, out loud this time. “Look, Lavender,” he said, rubbing his eyes wearily. “We can talk about that later, okay? I need sl -sl -sleep.” He pretended to stifle a fake yawn behind his hands.

Her face fell. “Well, then.” She leaned forwards and kissed his lips soundly.

“Good night, Ronald!” she chirped. Kissing his mouth one last time, she walked away and out of sight.

Ron heaved a huge sigh of relief. All thoughts of breakfast forgotten, he pushed the tray away and lay down, staring at the ceiling.

He had no idea why, but all of a sudden, dating Lavender seemed like the worst thing he’d ever done. In the beginning, she had seemed like fun; she had even laughed at all his jokes. Most importantly, she had been the only one who didn’t see him as the Famous Harry Potter’s Faithful Sidekick. Ron had liked her for that. And when he had found out that bloody Krum had kissed Hermione, it had been the last straw. He remembered lying in bed, seething all night before a perfect plan began to form in his mind. He had wanted to prove to everyone that he could get a date if he’d wanted to. And Lavender had been the perfect choice. So he had begun dating her, a small desperate part of him hoping it would be enough to make Hermione jealous.

But then, his perfect plan had backfired. Not only did it make Hermione hate him, he was now stuck with Lavender, hoping against hope that if he were rude enough to her, she would break up with him. Unfortunately for him, the more he hinted at wanting to break up with Lavender the more she clung onto him. And, on his birthday, he was poisoned and stuck in the hospital wing for probably the whole of next week with nothing to do except glare at the ceiling.

Wasn’t life just bloody wonderful?

“Ron!”

After nearly half an hour of listening to Lavender simpering, Ron thought Hermione’s warm voice sounded beautiful. She looks beautiful too, added a naughty voice in the back of his mind.

“Hermione!” He grinned widely. “Where’s Harry?”

“Quidditch practice,” she said, perching herself on his bed.

“Oh.” His face fell slightly, and he returned to glaring at his reflection in his spoon.

“I’m sorry,” Hermione said, sounding sincere.

“It’s okay ... So how’s everything at school?” He was keen to keep the conversation off Quidditch.

“Good,” she said, catching his drift. “But you’ll have loads to catch up when you come back – Transfiguration, especially. Professor McGonagall says human transfigurations are so tough …”

Ron’s mind drifted off. Shouldn’t he have known better than to bring up school with Hermione? He smiled absently.

“Ron? Are you okay?”

“Huh?”

“You weren’t listening, were you?”

He grinned. “Not really.”

She punched him in the arm playfully. As Hermione’s hand made contact with his, Ron felt his stomach lurch pleasantly.

“Ouch, Hermione,” he said in mock-hurt. “That hurt.”

“Oh, yeah?”

Ron gave her a goofy grin. “Yeah.”

Hermione laughed.

”McLaggen! Go back to guarding the goalposts!”

Harry’s voice, loud and clear, floated into the room.

“Poor Harry,” said Ron. Bloody perfect timing to get myself poisoned.

“He’s not as worried about McLaggen as he is about Ginny, trust me,” said Hermione, an all-knowing glint gleaming in her eyes.

Ron blinked in confusion. “Why’s Harry worried about Ginny?”

“Oh, Ron,” Hermione sighed. “All you boys are just the same.”

“What?”

Hermione sighed again. “Harry fancies Ginny, Ron.”

“He – Harry – what? When did he tell you that?” Ron asked indignantly.

Hermione snorted. “He didn’t have to tell me. Isn’t it obvious?”

“Er- if you say so.”

Hermione shook her head exasperatedly. “Haven’t you seen Harry lately? He has eyes for no one but Ginny; he’s always goggling at her -- in the Great Hall, in the common room, during Quidditch practice…”

“He does?” Ron asked incredulously. He had hung around Harry more than Hermione all year and yet, he hadn’t noticed anything different about him. Some friend he was.

“Yes,” she said. “I just wish he’d ask her out.”

“But she’s going out with Dean!”

“They’ve been on the rocker for ages now, Ron,” Hermione argued. “Plus, she liked Harry better than anyone else.”

“Then why the heck did she go out with Dean?” Ron asked, confused.

“Because that would make Harry notice her.”

You mean like you went out with Krum? Ron was sorely tempted to ask her that, but refrained. He didn’t want another row with Hermione, now that they were on talking terms again.

“Funny the way girls’ minds work.”

Hermione laughed.

“Miss Granger!” called Madam Pomfrey’s voice, as she hurried towards them, a disapproving frown on her features. “You’ve stayed long enough. Mr Weasley needs rest.”

“But Madam Pomfrey-” Ron protested.

“Quiet, Mr Weasley. You haven’t even taken your potions yet,” she said, shooting a scorching glance towards him. “How is your health ever going to improve if you don’t do what I tell you to, boy?”

“I forgot, sorry,” Ron mumbled.

“I’d better get going then,” Hermione slid off the bed, looking apologetic.

“Madam Pomfrey, I’ll take my potions, I swear. Can she stay then?”

The matron considered them for a moment, her eyes twinkling amusedly. “Oh, very well. As long as you don’t excite yourself, Mr Weasley … I guess a bit of company wouldn’t hurt. Remember to take your potions, though,” she added sternly, and sauntered off to her office.

Groaning, Ron reached for the array of potions on the bedside table. He fumbled with the vial and dropped it. Swearing loudly, he stretched his hand down but the vial had rolled away.

“Here, let me help,” Hermione said, crouching down to pick up the vial. “You’re lucky they have an Unbreakable Charm on them.”

She handed him the vial, her soft hand fleetingly making contact with his. Ron could feel delightful shivers tingling down his spine as his ears turned red, and before he knew it, Hermione had withdrawn her hand, and seated herself at the edge of his bed.

Sitting up and leaning comfortably against the propped-up pillows, Ron downed half-a-dozen potions, each tasting worse than the last. When he was finally done with a particularly nasty-tasting one, he felt pleasantly drowsy as his eyelids began to droop.

“You’d better get some sleep, Ron,” Hermione said, peering at him in concern.

“Mmm,” he said, half-asleep.

“See you later,” she said, leaning in to give him a quick hug.

“You too,” he replied, vaguely hearing the sound of Hermione walking away. Ron shifted, burying his face into his pillow, and grinning like mad; Hermione’s scent still haunting the air.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68197