To Love and Live by LilaBear
Summary: All seven horcruxes have been destroyed, and only one thing lies between the Wizarding World and peace- the Final Battle. Or so they thought.

What happens during this battle will affect Harry and his friends for the rest of their lives, but hopefully they will be lives to thrive in, to love and live.



General fic, but a lot of focusing on H/G, R/Hr. Character death, moderate low-graphic violence.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 14039 Read: 14519 Published: 06/16/07 Updated: 09/09/07

1. Chapter 1- Malfoy Manor by LilaBear

2. Chapter 2- Something to Fight For by LilaBear

3. Chapter 3- I do believe I owe you a celebration by LilaBear

4. Chapter 4 by LilaBear

5. Chapter 5- So Busted by LilaBear

6. Chapter 6- A Day to Mourn by LilaBear

Chapter 1- Malfoy Manor by LilaBear
Author's Notes:
This is my first fan fic, so please be nice! ;P I hope the flashback isn't confusing- it's long, but necessary. It gives lots of background info on where Harry and his friends are now. Hope you enjoy it! :)


Harry buried his face in his hands and suppressed a growl of frustration. Voldemort was supposed to be here. He’d been so sure. Even Hermione thought so! But Harry, Ron, Luna, and Colin had searched the whole of Malfoy Manor, inside and out, and still it sat there, an empty shell.


Colin flopped down on the floor of the manor’s foyer beside Harry, and flicked a glance at him.


“This isn’t your fault, Harry,” he said. Harry dropped his hands from his face and fell onto his back, staring at the ceiling above him. Luna knelt beside him, her head cocked to the side slightly, hey eyes curious.


“Harry,” she started, “Harry, didn’t Hermione say something about stones?”


Harry frowned slightly, and cast his mind back to the day he’d had the discussion with Hermione.



Harry, Ron, George, Remus, Arthur, Tonks, Charlie and Luna stumbled through the front door of Grimmauld Place, exhausted. George looked around the room and saw nobody.


“Fred?” he called. “FRED?”


The noise woke Mrs Black’s portrait.


”BLOOD TRAITORS!” She screamed. “Shame on you! Shame on my son! My house, my beautiful house, INFESTED! You disgusting, vile…”


The group’s attention shifted from her to the crowd that had gathered at the sound of George’s yell.


Remus opened his mouth to speak but paused while trying to consider what to do about Mrs Black. George rolled his eyes.


“Shut up, you old hag!” he yelled. “You have nothing more to rant for, because soon, Voldemort will be dead! WE GOT THE SEVENTH HORCRUX! DESTROYED, GONE!”


“YEAH baby!” Fred cheered with a leap into the air, landing on top of George in a massive bear hug.


Molly’s face had paled. Ginny and Hermione glanced at the bedraggled group, almost afraid to hope. Hermione stared at Harry, a questioning look in her eyes. Harry nodded.


“It was Luna,” he said. “She destroyed it, not me. It was Luna.”


Molly burst into tears and rushed at Luna in a frenzy. Hermione looked confused.


“But, Harry… I thought only you could destroy them?”


“Said who?” he asked.


“Well, Dumbledore… Dumbledore only told you about them.”


“Dumbledore didn’t know about Luna what we know about her today. Her skills are amazing, Hermione. She’s three times the witch she was in our sixth year. Dumbledore knew I would go to you and Ron. He obviously trusted my judgment. You discovered the general area the Horcrux might be- Luna lead us straight to it.”


The entire group had silenced its cheers and laughter and was listening intently to Harry. Charlie nodded in agreement.


“Don’t worry Hermione, Harry was amazing. He was the only reason we were able to open the door to the room that held the Horcrux.”


“What was it, Harry? What was the Horcrux? Was it Hufflepuff’s cup or Ravenclaw’s harp?” Hermione asked.


Harry nodded.


“It was the cup, like you thought. Much easier to hide than a harp.”


“What guarded it?”


All faces turned to look at Ginny, who had asked the question. Her face was stony, expressionless. It was like she was almost afraid to find out but didn’t want them to know. Arthur spoke up.


“Amazingly simple, but incredibly effective,” he said. “Dementors. Dozens of them. I suspect they haven’t always been there… perhaps the old charms wore off, or were removed previously… Dementors won’t willingly hang round in a place where they can’t readily feed off people’s happy memories.”


Hermione blanched.


“Which means… they were starved when you found them.”


Remus nodded. “They were definitely ready to attack.”


“How on earth… how? How, Harry? How do eight people defeat dozens of Dementors?”


A smile curled onto Harry’s face as George fought to keep his straight and innocent.


“I have to admit, it was almost the most fun I’ve had all year,” Harry smirked.


Molly frowned at the look on George’s face.


“George, what did you do?”


A grin spread over George’s face as the light dawned on Fred’s face too.


“Oh George, you didn’t,” he said as he burst into laughter.


“Would someone just tell us?” Ginny demanded. George grinned.


“Last year Fred and I got a whole bunch of joke memories to put into a new lolly,” he started.


“You WHAT?” Molly exclaimed. “You weren’t intending on giving people fake memories, were you?”


“Oh, mother, they only last fifteen minutes,” Fred said, rolling his eyes. “George my man, do continue.”


“When we opened the tunnel door, we were met with that cold smell. You know it. That Dementor smell. I don’t know why, but I had a stroke of genius, as I am inclined to do.” (Ginny snorted). “I told the others to hold the fort, and Apparated back to the shop. I grabbed our entire stock of Memories- a thousand vials, if I remember correctly-“ (“The ENTIRE STOCK?” Fred groaned), “- and Apparated back to the library. These were pure happy, or silly, memories. The Dementors were more attracted to them than our mixed up, depressed memories. Throwing them outside, where they smashed and lured the Dementors out of the tunnel, combined with an excessive amount of chocolate and our sexy Patronuses, we didn’t have much trouble at all.”


George grinned at the memory.


“Of course, it was terrifying at the time,” Remus spoke up. “The Dementors might be focused on the fake memories- they’re not too bright, you know- but it’s just natural that they still suck energy and happiness from anybody around them.”


Ginny stared, unblinkingly.


“Fake memories?” she asked. “Fake memories, that was it?”


Suddenly Hermione burst into laughter and leapt at George, enveloping him in a hug.


“Oh, George, that’s brilliant!”




Later that night, Ron, Hermione, Harry, Fred, George and Ginny were gathered around Hermione, Fred and Ginny’s research. Ron was awestruck.


“Blimey, Hermione, we were only gone three days. How much research can you do in three days?”


Hermione looked up, surprised.


“Oh, that’s not half the research I used to do for my Potions essays,” she said. Ron went white.


“You studied for Potions?”


“Ok, guys, that’s enough,” Harry muttered. “We have a Dark Lord to catch.”

--------------------------------------------

The Order had agreed that the Aurors who were on their side- Tonks, Moody, Shacklebolt- should do the field work along with the older, more physically able men (Charlie, Bill, Arthur and Remus). It was also agreed that Harry and Ron had to go, and the young people were determined that the twins should have a presence in both the field team and the research team.


Luna had also proven herself to be an exceptionally fast thinker over the past eighteen months- moreso even than Hermione. Hermione may have had more knowledge than Luna, but Luna recalled what she knew faster. Which still didn’t make her any more socially fluent.


Hermione, on the other hand, had been willing to work wherever she was needed most. She had exceptional knowledge of books and Hogwarts history, and it was through her work that the identities of most of the Horcruxes had been discovered.


Ginny- who everyone had adamantly denied the opportunity to join the field team- had decided to join Hermione, as did Fred, who knew far more about history and geography than Hermione had ever guessed.


“You didn’t actually listen at Hogwarts, did you, Fred?” she had asked.


“What? Listen? No. You’ll find I know next to nothing about Potions and Herbology though, while George is amazing. I did his History and Charms essays, he did my Potions and Herbology ones,” Fred had shrugged in response.

--------------------------------------------


“So, Hermione,” Harry asked. “What have you found?”


Hermione frowned as she flicked through her notes.


“I found a record of a prophecy,” she said. “It’s amazing. I don’t know why Dumbledore never mentioned it. It talks about the downfall of a great wizard in a yard of stones.”


“Is that it?” Ron asked dubiously. Hermione glared at him.


“Of course not. It talked about The Boy Who Lived, too.”


Ron perked up.


“So it involves Harry. And the downfall of a great wizard. Harry, Harry, you’re going to beat him!”


Hermione glared at Ron again.


“Harry IS a great wizard, Ronald,” she said. “All we know, from this particular prophecy, is it involves Harry and the downfall of a great wizard in a yard of stones.”


George leant back in his chair, balancing on the back legs. Harry saw Ginny’s right hand pull something from under her robes, and watched as her eyes drifted down to look at something under George’s chair. He saw her lips move slightly, and suddenly there was an almighty CRACK as George went toppling backwards.


“But surely you fou-waaaaaah OUCH!” George rubbed his back. He looked at the back legs of the chair, now snapped. “Bloody chair,” he muttered. Harry met Ginny’s eyes and bit back a grin. George looked up from his place on the floor.


“But surely you found more than just one prophecy? A yard of stones, that’s pretty vague.”


Fred nodded as he gave George a hand, pulling him back up and fixing the chair with a wave of his wand.


“We did a lot of…uhh… negotiations, you might say, with Rita Skeeter.”


“You what?” Harry asked as he raised his eyebrow. Fred grinned.


“She knows a lot, you know. And a beetle as a spy is very handy.”


Ginny rolled her eyes. “We blackmailed her, Harry.” Ginny suddenly got serious. “But she went above and beyond what we asked her to do. She went to Malfoy Manor, Harry.”


Harry raised both his eyebrows.


“And?”


“She saw Narcissa yelling at Draco. Telling him to prepare the guestroom for the Dark Lord.”


Ron’s eyes widened.


“Rita saw Narcissa say that You- Know- Who will be staying at Malfoy Manor?”


Hermione nodded.


“We talked to Dobby, too. Harry… Dobby said Narcissa’s pride and joy is her rock garden in their back yard.”


The grin George had developed when he heard of their blackmailing Rita Skeeter disappeared.


“Great wizard… stones… yard…”


Hermione nodded.


“You have to go to Malfoy Manor, Harry.”

Chapter 2- Something to Fight For by LilaBear
Author's Notes:
Sorry these first few chapters are short! They'll get longer as we go along, I promise ;) Please review if you read this- it's my first fan fic so I want to know how it is and how I could improve. Thanks! :)


Harry sighed.

“Great wizard, stones, yard… where else could it be?” he complained.

Ron stretched out and lay on the ground beside him. Colin, who had joined them once he’d managed to extricate himself from his mother’s protective possession in the last week, shrugged.

“I don’t know where else-” suddenly Harry hushed him, and turned to Luna.

“Luna, where’s that mirror? I need to ask Hermione a question.”

Luna rummaged through her backpack, and pulled out the two-way mirror Hermione had given them before they left. Harry grabbed it and tapped his wand to it three times, saying out loud “I need Hermione”. Hermione’s face swam into vision.

“Harry? Harry, are you ok? What happened?”

“It’s ok Hermione. We’re at Malfoy Manor… nobody’s here.”

Hermione’s face fell.

“Nobody?”

“Not a soul. Well, I suspect there’s a poltergeist below the stairwell, but that’s beside the point. Hermione, I need to know if you ever discovered where the graveyard was.”

“Graveyard? Harry, there are heaps of grave yar… oh, Harry, not that graveyard!”

Harry nodded. “I need to know if it’s nearby,” he said.

“Just wait a moment,” she said. “Moody and Shacklebolt told me the name a while ago… I have it here somewhere.”

Her face blurred as she moved to look through her notes. He saw her face pale.

“I have a map in front of me… Harry, if you stand out the front of the Malfoy property and walk west along the road about ten kilometers, you’ll find that same graveyard.” She looked back up into the mirror.

“You don’t think he’s returned to that graveyard, do you, Harry?”

“I don’t know,” Harry muttered. “But it’s going to be something ironic when he finds his downfall in the same place he came back to power.”



Ron, Harry, Luna and Colin exited the house, alerting Tonks, Remus and Moody who were on guard to follow them.

“Wotcher, Harry,” Tonks said. “Where now?”

“The graveyard,” he said, his face set. Moody scowled.

“Wait, Potter,” he growled. “Arthur and George went to get Charlie and Bill from the Ministry… they’re bringing some Felix Felicis.”

Ron grinned as a laugh escaped his lips.

“Felix Felicis, Harry…”

Harry smiled slightly. “I’m not celebrating til I see him dead at my feet, Ron.”

Suddenly a loud CRACK sounded behind them, and they all swiveled around with an almighty “EXPELLIARMUS!” just in time to see Arthur, Charlie and Bill go sprawling backwards, their wands flying out of their hands. George stood there, grinning.

“Wouldn’t you know it, I’m the only one who’s drunk any Felix yet,” he winked.

Moody suppressed a chuckle as he helped Arthur to his feet, followed by Remus and Tonks who hauled Bill and Charlie up. Ron blushed.

“Sorry, Dad… I think it was me who hit you.”

Arthur looked bewildered.

“That was incredible, Ron. Those were amazing reflexes.”

Ron grinned slightly as Bill and Charlie hobbled to join the group.

“Oh, cheer up you two,” George smirked.

“If we didn’t have a war on our hands right now, I’d hex you,” Bill growled.

As Moody and Arthur explained the use of Felix Felicis and handed a vial to each member of the group, Harry brought everyone up to speed on the idea of the graveyard. Charlie looked at Harry, surprised.

“I know where that graveyard is,” he said. “Do you see that bunch of pine trees by that hill?” he pointed. “I suggest we apparate over there… you can see the graveyard from there.”

Moody frowned.

“Can anyone in the graveyard see through those trees?”

Charlie shook his head.

“Absolutely not. There’s a bit of a rise on the other side of the trees, then it dips down to the graveyard behind it.”

“Well then, I suggest we get cracking,” George said with a wicked grin. And he disappeared with a CRACK, leaving behind ten pairs of rolling eyes and many groans.



Colin rubbed his eyes in disbelief.

“Merlin, Harry… there must be at least thirty Death Eaters down there,” he whispered.

Bill raised his eyebrow. “That all?” he muttered.

“At last count there were only twelve free Death Eaters in England,” Colin shot back.

Harry shifted into a more comfortable seating position.

“There are a lot more in Azkaban than the Ministry has announced,” he said. “But there are heaps loose in Europe. Who knows where those guys down there usually live.

“Ever since Dean became in charge of public relations at the Ministry, he’s kept a very close eye on what they release. The idea is that if Voldemort doesn’t know how many Death Eater cells have been shut down around England, he’ll think he has more back up than he actually does… and therefore, be less prepared.” Harry looked at Luna gratefully. “That would have been Luna’s idea.”

“Oh no Harry, not my idea,” she said. “It was Daddy’s.”

George grinned at Harry before turning to look over the rise then down into the graveyard. Evening was approaching rapidly and it was getting harder to keep tabs on all the Death Eaters milling around.

“Why are they there?” Colin hissed.

“It’s like they’re… expecting somebody,” George added.

“Voldemort’s not there yet, is he?” Moody growled. Suddenly Harry felt very, very uneasy.

“I don’t like this,” he said. “I don’t like it at all. We’re far too close to those Death Eaters, and we know Voldemort will be here soon… it’s too easy to be ambushed where we are.”

Ron nodded in agreement.

“We need to move, Harry,” he said under his breath. Harry crawled towards the group, indicating for them to listen.

“I suggest we get away from here to plan. I can’t see these guys disappearing anywhere. Evidently, the final battle will most likely take place here. Apparate to Ottery St Catchpoole, then Hogsmeade, then Grimmauld Place. Hopefully, if anyone’s trying to track us, it will throw them off.”

Remus nodded, then hesitated.

“Grimmauld Place, Harry? Is that wise?”

“We’ll need Hermione and Fred, Remus. We need to go back to Grimmauld Place.”



Ten minutes later a gathering was taking place in the kitchen of Grimmauld Place. Tonks, Remus, Moody, Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Colin, Luna, George, Harry and Ron sat around one end of the table, with Molly, Ginny, Hermione, Fred, Shacklebolt and Neville seated at the other end, along with three young Aurors, Marcus Shacklebolt- Kingsley’s nephew- Anthony Goldstein, and Marietta Edgecombe from Hogwarts. Harry, Ron and Colin cringed at the sight of Marietta- they had never fully forgiven her after Harry and Ron’s fifth year- but Hermione had assured them Marietta would be an asset to the team.

“There were at least thirty Death Eaters,” Remus was saying. “Which means Hermione, Fred, Neville and Kingsley most definitely need to join us, and hopefully Marcus, Anthony and Marietta.”

Ginny’s eyes fired up, but she bit her lip. She caught Harry’s eye and sent him a death stare. Harry flinched and turned his attention back to Remus. He knew he was going to get a serve from Ginny the moment this meeting was over.

“We need to go, now,” he said quietly. “The element of surprise is vital.” He paused for a moment before speaking again. “I wish we could get another few teams of Aurors-“

Shacklebolt shook his head.

“I only got Marcus, Anthony and Marietta because I was responsible for their next assignment. Scrimgeour refuses to send more Aurors on what he thinks is a wild goose chase.”

Remus sighed in frustration and dropped his head onto the table, before looking back up. “We need to move.”

Molly’s lower lip quivered, but this one time, she kept her tears in check.

“Go, go,” she whispered. “And share the Felix, you lot. You needn’t share any with George though, he shouldn’t have drunk his already,” she added, shooting a glare at George, who shrugged, holding up a new vial of Felix Felicis. Molly’s eyes widened.

“Where did you…?” George grinned and ducked out of the room, chasing after Fred.

Harry glanced at his friends as they raced to find warm clothes and get ready to leave. He turned to Ginny, who was still sitting at the kitchen table, unmoving.

“Ginny?” he said quietly.

He sat down beside her and placed a hand on hers, only to have her yank it out from under his hand and place it on her lap. Harry’s heart dropped.

“Ginny, I… I know this is hurting you. I know what it’s like, to watch your loved ones go off and not be sure which ones will return-”

“Do you, Harry? Do you? Do you know what it’s like to have your loved ones go off to an uncertain future, headed by the man you thought you loved who refuses to trust you enough to help?” she spat out. Harry flinched.

“I would trust you with my life, Ginny,” he said quietly. “But I wouldn’t trust myself with yours.”

“I don’t NEED you to be trusted with my life!” she hissed. “I’m eighteen Harry, in case you forgot. I’ve had my Apparition licence for a year, I’ve left Hogwarts, I’m grown up! Can’t you see that?”

Her look had almost turned to pleading. Harry placed his head in his hands for a moment, before looking up at Ginny. He couldn’t tell her what was really on his heart It would burden her too much. Hurt her too much if he weren’t to return.

“Ginny…” he paused, and then heard the words tumbling out. “What I see when I look at you is a woman who I can not bear to have taken away from me. I will not put you into the hands of the one who continues to take away all my loved ones- first my parents, then the only real father I ever knew, then Dumbledore- I will not put the next most precious person in my life into his hands. It might sound selfish Ginny, but I would not be able to stand it if I lost that too.”

He looked up into Ginny’s eyes, only to see them filling with tears. Dread washed over Harry.

“Oh Ginny, no, I’m sorry, please don’t, don’t cry, I-” Ginny broke him off with a bear hug.

“Oh Harry, just shut up,” she whispered through her tears. “I didn’t… I didn’t think your heart was involved any more. I just thought you were being another stupid overprotective brother who thought I was still eleven years old and in need of saving from a diary.”

A chuckle rippled through Harry’s body as he wrapped his arms around Ginny and kissed her forehead. The chuckle left as fast as it had come.

“Ginny… I might not be back in the morning,” he whispered. He didn’t want to think of the pain Ginny would have to bear if he didn’t return.

“Well then,” she whispered, “as long as you’re back by dinner I’ll forgive you.”

A smile tugged at Harry’s mouth.

“Please Ginny, just for a second… I need to be serious. I need you to realize I might never come back.”

Ginny’s hands traveled up his back and came to rest behind his neck.

“If you die, Harry… if you die, make this the last thing you think about,” she whispered, and stood up on his tip-toes to plant a gentle kiss on his lips.

Harry tightened his grip around her before pulling back and looking into her eyes. Those eyes… that kiss… that was what he needed. Something to give him perpetual strength to last the battle. Something to fight for.
Chapter 3- I do believe I owe you a celebration by LilaBear
Author's Notes:
Who owes who a celebration? And why? Moderate low-graphic violence plus character death.



Two hours later, as Harry relied upon every last ounce of strength he had, those eyes were in the back of his mind. When he thought he had no energy, he thought of those beautiful brown eyes, and suddenly, his energy was revitalized. Currently, he and Neville were back to back, fighting off four Death Eaters between the two of them.




“PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!” Harry heard Neville roar.




Harry grinned when he heard the thump of a Death Eater hit the ground. Harry was proud of Neville. If Luna was three times the witch she was in sixth year, Neville was five times the wizard he had been.




Harry deflected two curses aimed his way, replying with an “EXPELLIARMUS!”




One, whom he suspected to be Amycus Carrow, fell backwards and hit his head on a gravestone behind him, his wand flying metres away. Harry turned to the next Death Eater, looking suspiciously like Lucius Malfoy, and deflected his curse. Harry kicked himself for fighting back to back with an ally. It meant he couldn’t physically duck to avoid curses, in case they hit Neville. Instead, he had to ward them all off magically.




“EXPELLIARMUS!” he shouted, disarming Malfoy. With both wands lying metres away from their owners, Harry yelled “ACCIO WANDS!” The two wands came flying towards him, along with the wand of an unsuspecting Death Eater standing behind them who wasn’t holding too tightly to his.




Harry caught the three wands and snapped them all, before setting them alight with an “Incendio!” The adrenaline pumping through Harry’s body subsided slightly upon seeing the wands burst into flame.




Malfoy screamed in frustration, his face contorted with hatred, before leaping at Harry. Suddenly, from somewhere behind him, Harry heard “SECTUMSEMPRA!” and Lucius recoiled and collapsed in agony, blood pouring from a zig-zag gash in his chest.




Harry swirled around in time to see Severus Snape helping an injured Marietta to her feet before pulling her behind a massive headstone where he proceeded to heal her cuts. The shock hit Harry as he realised the man he loathed had just mortally wounded Malfoy.




Harry swallowed a lump of confusion before turning away from the scene before him. Upon seeing Snape treat the girl so gently, and seeing the look of satisfaction that he wore after hitting Malfoy with the curse, Harry’s resentment of his Potions professor melted slightly.




Harry regained his wits just in time to avoid a way-ward Petrificus Totalus. He looked around himself. Headstones were smashed, many Death Eaters were incapacitated, some even dead.




He, so far, had managed to avoid killing any, but had heard Marcus and Charlie both utter the Avada Kedavra curse in last-minute desperation. Resentment mixed with pride surged through his body as he saw all his friends- people who should be safe at home- bravely throwing aside all concern for their own lives. Resentment towards the Death Eaters who had forced them out of their safety.




He had also seen an old head stone crumble and fall on two Death Eaters, killing them, after being hit by a spell from Fred’s wand. He also had a sneaking, horrible suspicion that the Avada Kedavra curse he’d previously heard from Malfoy had hit its intended target- whoever it was.




He saw two flashes of purple light shoot past him, hitting Ron in the leg.




"RON!" Harry yelled.




Ron screamed in pain, collapsing to the ground. Rage wove itself throughout Harry’s entire body as he spun around, eyes only for Ron’s attacker. His sights settled upon a Death Eater whose hood was in shreds and about to fall off. The breath caught in Harry’s face. It was Dolohov. Harry was livid.




“PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!” he screamed, pointing his wand at Dolohov. Dolohov’s arms snapped to his side and he fell backwards. Harry ignored Ron for the time being, sprinting to Dolohov’s side. He angrily jabbed his wand into Dolohov’s neck in a blind rage.




“Gideon and Fabian not enough for you, scum?” he hissed. He jabbed his wand harder. “Afraid of their nephew, too?”




Harry’s mind suddenly flicked back to sixth year where he saw an injured Hermione lying in the hospital wing. He stared back down at Dolohov below him, loathing tearing through his veins. “Had to curse a schoolgirl, Dolohov? You’re scum. You’re not worthy of death.”




Harry breathed deeply, trying to calm his racing heart. He wanted nothing more than to torture the scum in front of him, but knew that not only would it waste time and energy, but he could get in trouble for it. Harry pulled his wand from Dolohov’s necking, saying “Incarcerous… accio wand!”




Dolohov’s wand flew into Harry’s hand, and with a “Incendio!” he burnt it to a crisp. With a final glare in Dolohov’s direction, Harry turned his attention back to Ron, who seemed to be in the process of binding a Death Eater from his awkward position on the ground.










On the other side of the graveyard, Hermione gasped for breath after petrifying three Death Eaters in rapid succession. She magically bound them before confiscating their wands and setting them alight, much like Harry had.




“CRUCIO!” she heard a woman scream.




She saw a bolt of light heading straight towards her, and ducked behind a nearby headstone. She took several deep breaths to calm her racing heart. She poked her head around the stone, wand ready to kill if need be. She relaxed slightly upon noticing the witch had gone, when suddenly- “CRUCIO!”




Hermione was thrown backwards and into the air, screaming in agony, her body contorting in violent fits. George, just metres away, spun around at the sound. He gazed at the sight before him, frozen for a second. Fury that such wickedness could infest a woman to curse such a gentle girl flooded through George's body.




“HERMIONE!” he roared, sending an Expelliarmus at Bellatrix Lestrange, who had Hermione in the air. Bellatrix’s wand flew from her hand and Hermione fell to the ground, not moving. George fired a few more curses at her in rapid succession, fighting the urge to kill her on the spot. Ron and George ran to Hermione’s side, shaking her.




“Hermione!” Ron yelled. “Hermione, please! Please, wake up! Don’t DO this! You’re strong! Wake up!”




Moody appeared behind them.




“Weasley number one and number two,” he barked. “There are dark wizards out there who have an appointment with Azkaban. I’ll look after her.”




Ron hesitated, looking between Hermione and Moody, before nodding at Moody and running to assist George who was in the middle of hexing two Death Eaters. With a wave of his wand and a “Renervate”, Moody resuscitated Hermione, before lifting her behind another headstone. He conjured a glass of something sweet-smelling and told Hermione to drink it.




“Stay here for two minutes,” he growled. “The potion should take affect and you should feel ok.”




Hermione nodded, her head throbbing. She watched Moody spin around and heard the old man bark out a curse as three bolts of light shot past him. As he had said, within minutes she felt her strength return.




She had petrified and bound two more Death Eaters when she heard an “AVADA KEDAVRA!” ring out, followed by a jet of green light which flew across the graveyard. She didn’t see who it hit, but saw the commotion that followed. Dread filled her when she saw a blond head lying on the ground.










Bill turned to see who the curse had hit. Three unconscious Death Eaters lay around him, and he moved to see who the most recent victim was. He blanched when he saw the gentle blond-haired girl lying dead on the ground.




“Marietta,” he whispered.




Renewed anger surged through his veins. Marietta was nineteen. She had been in Harry’s class. Nineteen year olds are not supposed to die! Nineteen year olds are not supposed to be battling for their lives against violent, twisted forty, fifty, sixty year old men! He spun on his heel to see two gleeful eyes and a wicked grin where Marietta’s killing curse had come from.




Enraged, Bill battled the same emotions George had felt just minutes earlier, before roaring “AVADA KEDAVRA!” and killing Bellatrix Lestrange. She didn't deflect it. Not for a moment did she even consider he would actually try and kill her.




Bill turned back to Harry and Neville.




“We need to get her body out of here,” Neville said. Bill shook his head.




“Sorry Neville, but she’s not going anywhere. It can wait 'til this is over.”




Suddenly, a deathly hiss filled the air. All other noise seemed to subside, even though sparks and jets of light still flew across the graveyard in a frenzy.




“CRUCIO!” It cried, and Bill was lifted into the air in anguish.




Four nearby Order Members didn’t stop to think. They didn’t stop to consider what they were doing or who they might be cursing. Harry, Neville, Kingsley and Tonks drew their wands in the direction of Bill’s tormenter and screamed “PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!”




Voldemort went rigid as a board and fell backwards. There was a brief moment of frozen shock before ten Death Eaters swarmed towards him, as if in slow motion. Harry saw Remus, Arthur, Fred and Snape knocking them off one by one. Harry couldn’t think straight. Time stood still. All he heard were three words, going round and round in his head.




Voldemort is defenseless. Voldemort is defenseless. Voldemort is defenseless.




Harry knew he would never get another opportunity like this. He was closest. Neville, Kingsley and Tonks were joined by Marcus and Hermione and were battling the Death Eaters who had attacked them upon seeing them petrify their master.




Remus, Arthur, Fred and Snape had been joined by Ron and Anthony and were warding off the Death Eaters seeking to protect their master.




Luna and Colin were taking on five Death Eaters between the two of them. In other circumstances, Harry would have cheered. Where Charlie, Bill, Moody and George were, Harry didn’t know. All he knew was that so far, it was as if he was invisible- and Voldemort is defenseless.




He took off at a run, covering the ground between himself and Voldemort. He wasn’t going to kill him, not yet. He was going to make him pay. Time was still moving in slow motion. Harry saw Remus glance up and nod at him. He thrust his wand in Voldemort’s direction just as he began to stir, and screamed another “PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!”




Voldemort went rigid again. A Death Eater spun around, wand thrust in Harry's direction.




"CRU-" his shout was cut short by Snape, who swished his wand back and forth in a pattern Harry didn't recognise. The non-verbal spell seemed to do the trick as the Death Eater's face went rigid and he collapsed in a pile. The anger bubbling in Harry's mind dissipated for half a second as he hesitated, glancing at Snape.




“Potter!” Snape bellowed. “Get it done with!”




The anger returned and mixed with irritation and confusion at Snape’s order. The combination of emotions hurtled through Harry as sweat poured down his face. He felt his heart explode in a mixture of fury and heartbreak at the memory of his dead friends. Harry thrust his wand towards the petrified Dark Lord, bitterness rising through his body, and roared “SECTUMSEMPRA!”, waving his wand furiously to create as long a gash as possible.




Voldemort’s eyes widened in pain as blood poured from his chest. Snape flinched at the sound of his curse being administered. Tears clouded Harry’s vision. He fumed as he stood with his wand pointed at the Dark Lord, lying immobilised on the ground.




“This is for Sirius!” he yelled, cursing the dark wizard. “And this is for Cedric! This is for Marietta- this, this, and this, are for anyone else you’ve killed tonight!" Harry paused to catch his breath. He registered the shock and agony in Voldemort's eyes, but he didn't hesitate.




"AND THIS IS FOR MY PARENTS!”




With a final roar, Harry pointed his wand at the Voldemort’s petrified throat.




“Avada Kedavra!”




A jet of green light spewed forth from Harry's wand, hurtling straight for Voldemort's throat. Suddenly, a jet of red light shot forth from Voldemort, connecting with the green bolt from Harry's wand. Harry's wand began to shake. Harry's mind reeled, confused. How was this happening? Was Voldemort fighting the Killing Curse? But no... that was impossible. Wait. He'd survived the Killing Curse. But only because of his mother's sacrifice. Had anyone sacrificed themself for Voldemort? No, never. Had Voldemort discovered a new protection, more horcruxes? Dumbledore had been so sure there were only seven.



Harry concentrated on Voldemort, wondering if he should break the spell and try again. His wand shook more violently. He saw a jet of green light heading for him from the corner of his eye, but it disappeared suddenly. Suddenly Harry heard a voice in his head.



You... you're not going to... to win, Harry...



"You will die!" Harry shouted, keeping his wand aimed at Voldemort.



Fin... Finite.... Finite Inca-



"NO!!" Harry roared, forcing his mind blank. He felt Voldemort squeeze his way in.



Finite...



No. Voldemort was not going to break the Killing Curse from Harry's end.



Finite In-



Harry forced a brick wall into his mind, wishing desperately that Snape had persevered with his Legilimency classes.



Suddenly, Snape was beside him, aiming his wand at the red light emitting from Voldemort's body.



"Mensi Vinci," Harry heard him whisper determinedly.



Fini...Finite...Fin-



"Mensi Vinci!!"



The voice disappeared from Harry's mind. The red light which was duelling with Harry's green light suddenly redirected and connected with Snape's wand. As the red light moved, the green light of the Killing Curse finished its path, and connected with Voldemort. Voldemort's body went limp, and the red jet of light disappeared.



Silence ensued. The Death Eaters seemed to freeze. Out of the remaining fifteen or so, five surrendered, throwing their wands at the feet of their attackers, while the others fled. Two however, turned in anger.




“AVADA KED-”




Their cries were cut short by stunners from Fred and Remus. The Order members, panting, walked towards the limp body of Lord Voldemort. Harry stood over the body, his face expressionless. His eyes slowly moved across the group as he looked at those who had saved his life not just tonight, but many times in the previous years. He made eye contact with Ron.




“He’s dead at my feet,” Harry whispered. “I do believe I owe you a celebration, Ron.”
Chapter 4 by LilaBear
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the crazy-long wait! I did submit Chap 4 before but it got rejected, and I just abandoned the story for a while because I was so ticked off at the inconsistencies in moderators' requirements. (ie. x y z might be acceptable by one mod but another requires a b c). Hopefully this one works! :)


The group had bound all the unconscious Death Eaters in small groups, placing silencing charms on them and confiscating all their wands. The Order members gathered back together, their faces drawn.



“Casualties,” Harry whispered. He looked around the group. “We have people missing. We have to know what happened. Colin’s not here.”



“George,” Fred choked. “George, Bill, Charlie… they’re not here either.”



Remus looked around tiredly. “Moody. Kingsley.”



Harry shook at the idea of the undefeatable Moody and Shacklebolt lying dead on the ground.



“Luna,” Hermione whispered.



“Marietta,” Marcus added, closing his eyes. Harry and Neville flinched at the name. Arthur surveyed the group.



“Does anyone know what happened to anybody else? We need to get cracking and look for them. It would help if we knew where to look.”



Harry looked sideways at Neville, his face pale in the moonlight. Neville licked his lips nervously.



“Marietta…” he stumbled over his words, “Marietta was killed by Bellatrix. Her… her body is over behind that tombstone,” he added, pointing.



Marcus and Anthony grew pale and looked at each other in horror. Remus and Arthur put an arm around each young man in comfort. Arthur looked up again.



“Anyone else?”



“I don’t think Bill’s dead,” Harry spoke up, shuddering at the memory. “Voldemort put the Cruciatus curse on him, I think he’s strong enough to have survived it… he shouldn’t be too far from Marietta.”



Remus nodded sharply at Arthur and Tonks, who Apparated to the other end of the graveyard in search of Bill. Neville spoke up again.



“I saw Kingsley get knocked out when a curse threw him into a headstone. I don’t know if he’s dead or not… I can’t remember where we were.”



Before anyone could say anything, Marcus pulled away from Remus and flew into a frenzy, searching for his uncle. Remus looked around the group again.



“If nobody knows anything else, I suggest we get searching,” he said quietly. “Please do it in pairs… who knows what might be hiding in these trees.”



Ron and Harry set off together, after making sure Hermione was safe in Anthony’s presence.



“Lumos,” Harry whispered, holding his wand in front of him. Ron followed suit as they searched in and out between the gravestones. Ron heard a moan from behind a gargoyle-topped headstone and leapt around the stone, his wand at the ready. He froze upon seeing the owner of the moan.



“Harry… Harry, it’s Colin, I found Colin!” he exclaimed.



Harry let out a laugh of relief as he ran to join his friend. He knelt down beside the younger boy, and helped him sit up. He conjured a glass of water which Colin drank gratefully.



“Colin,” Harry said. “Colin, what happened to you? We need to know.”



Colin frowned as he racked his brain, trying to remember.



“I’m not entirely sure,” he answered. “But I remember hitting this stone with my head… I guess a relatively harmless spell threw me off balance. Apart from a very sore head, I feel pretty OK.” He looked up sharply. “Voldemort, where is he? I heard his voice. He… he had Bill, I didn’t-“ Ron broke him off.



“Voldemort’s dead.”



An incredible laugh softly escaped Colin’s lips. "Dead? Dead, for good?”



Harry nodded. “Dead, for good.”



Colin tipped his head back and let out a laugh. “You did it, Harry! Dead, for good? Has that sunk in yet? Voldemort’s dead! VOLDEMORT’S DEAD! He's not coming back, Harry! You did it!” Ron and Harry grinned at Colin’s enthusiasm, before bringing his attention back to themselves.



“Colin, we need to know if you saw anyone… anyone get killed, or knocked out, or something. A number of people are still missing.”



The grin fell off Colin’s face.



“Have… did you… who are…” he licked his lips and started again. “Have you found Charlie?” Harry and Ron shook their heads. Colin closed his eyes in pain and pulled himself to his feet. He swayed for a moment as the blood rushed to his brain, but then his head cleared. “I know where he is.”



Colin began leading Harry and Ron away from the gargoyle-headstone, before pausing and turning back to face them.



“Ron… Harry… you need to be prepared. I don’t think Charlie will be alive.”



Ron blanched and Harry shook.



“Why?” Harry said in a low voice.



“Bellatrix… she sent a curse of some sort at your backs while you were tending to Marietta, I think. Charlie… Charlie jumped in front of her… I don’t know what the curse was, but he collapsed on the ground, not moving… it didn’t look like he was breathing.”



Ron sucked in a breath. “We still need to find him.”



~*~



Half an hour later, a tired, bedraggled group sat along a hallway in St Mungo’s, unable to sleep. Harry was weary to the bone but could still feel the adrenaline surging through his body. His physical exhaustion was outweighed by his emotional and mental state of over-drive. Voldemort was dead. Dead. Charlie was dead. Harry wanted to cry. He wanted to scream, but he felt nothing. He looked at Ron and Hermione, who both appeared to be in the same state as he was, except he could make out dried trails of tears down Hermione’s cheeks. He looked down at Ron’s leg, surprised he hadn’t been admitted too. He remembered Tonks and Hermione bandaging his legs before they’d Apparated to St Mungos; Ron had now pulled his cloak over his legs, obviously hiding his bandages from the Healers rushing around them.



They sat up with a jolt when a couple of CRACKS emanated from the end of the hallway and they looked around, just in time to see Arthur with Molly and Ginny come running frantically down the hallway.



“Bill, where’s my Bill?” Molly asked shrilly, surveying the group and not seeing him there. “Fred, George, Charlie, where are they??” Molly was close to hysterics. Ginny was fighting back tears but fought to remain calm around her mother. Arthur wrapped his arms around Molly.



“Molly, you need to calm down before we can explain what’s happened.”



Molly took a few deep breaths and sat on a chair beside Tonks. She was terrified. She saw the look of sorrow on Tonks’ face. That poor, precious girl. She looked at her youngest son and his friends- they looked exhausted to the bone, and she thought they had aged at least five years in the last year. She looked back towards her husband and noticed him looking in Lupin’s direction. She turned to face Remus, filling with dread when she saw his facial expression.



The group shifted to look at Arthur and Molly. Arthur looked up at Remus, a pleading look on his face. Remus grimaced. It was clear Arthur didn’t want to give his wife any more bad news. Remus sighed and knelt down beside Tonks, looking across at Molly.



“Molly, I won’t beat around the bush,” he said quietly. “Charlie died when he jumped in front of a curse that had been sent in Ron and Harry’s direction.”



Molly let out a wail of heartbreak and buried her face in her husband’s shoulder. Ginny and Ron were shaking as tears poured down their faces, and Harry wasn’t in much better condition. He looked up to see a Healer hovering anxiously in the background, clearly with news to tell, but not wanting to interrupt. Harry ignored her for now, knowing this had to be done. Remus continued.



“Bill’s unconscious, but very much alive,” he said. “He was hit with a Cruciatus curse when he got distracted by Marietta’s death… he was cursed by Voldemort.”



Molly let out another wail, approaching hysterics.



“He’s a strong boy, Molly. He will pull through. Harry, myself and Kingsley have all been victims of the same curse before… Bill will be ok, Molly.”



Molly drew a few shuddering breaths, nodding. She couldn’t stand the thought. Her poor, precious Bill, in so much agony he’d passed out and been hospitalised. Oh, that boy. How had they gotten into a situation where her boy was being tortured with such horrible curses?



“George and Fred have also been admitted to hospital. George’s arm will need a lot of work and attention- it got pretty messed up during the battle- but apart from his arm, he’s ok,” Remus continued. “Fred broke his wrist, although I have a feeling that was from tripping over some broken stone rather than being hit by a curse of some sort.”



A smile tugged at Ginny’s and Ron’s mouths at that. Molly hiccupped as she fought to calm herself down. They would be ok. The Weasleys would pull together. Charlie was gone; yes. But as she listened to the stories around her, she realised she could have easily lost two or more sons in the battle.



“Remus, dear,” she said. “Who else is hurt?”



Remus sighed, clearly not enjoying his current role. “Marietta’s dead. Kingsley and Luna are both unconscious. We don’t know what spells they were hit with. Moody had a severe concussion but appears ok otherwise. Colin was knocked out and has been admitted with other possible head injuries and a partially dislocated shoulder.”



Harry and Ron glanced at each other before surveying the group before them. Further explanation wasn’t necessary. Anthony had cuts across his face and a black eye. Marcus nursed a bandaged knee, and Harry knew Tonks had multiple slashes across her back. Remus was limping and Hermione's left wrist was sprained, with bruises the whole way down her arm. Molly’s heart broke as she took the scene in. These poor children. They were hardly older than her baby girl. Molly shook with grief as tears spilled down her cheeks, unable to take it in. Trained Aurors should have been in that graveyard. Not young people, not even turned 21.



Suddenly Harry frowned.



“Where’s Snape?” he asked.


“Snape’s a bit of a lone ranger,” Arthur answered, looking up. “He comes when he’s needed but doesn’t hang around. That shouldn’t surprise you, Harry.”



Harry nodded, almost disappointed. He had been hoping to see if the humanity displayed by Snape during the battle was possible in any other circumstances. He shifted his attention to Ginny who had found a seat a few feet away from the group, and sat down beside her.



Without reaching to touch her, he asked quietly, “Are you ok, Ginny?”



Ginny didn’t move. She blinked before drawing a shuddering breath and leaning against the backrest of her chair. She wiped her eyes and nodded.



“I’m ok. I want to see Bill, though.”



Harry stood up and offered her his hand. She grasped it and he pulled her up out of her chair before reluctantly releasing her again. He turned to tap Ron on the shoulder, saying, “We’re going to pay Bill a visit. You in?” Ron nodded and followed them down the hall.



Once inside the room, Harry found a chair a few feet from the bed, giving Ginny and Ron room to sit by Bill’s side. He leant forward, bringing his head to rest in his hands, his eyes closed. No, a voice said inside his head. Don’t hide from this view. What if you’d finished Voldemort off in the Department of Mysteries? What if he’d never escaped? He wouldn’t have come across your loved ones in that graveyard. Harry flinched when he realized it was true. He looked up at the unconscious form of Bill lying on the bed before him.



Voldemort’s dead, Harry told himself. He can’t do this to anyone else.



Bit late for Charlie, isn’t it?



Charlie didn’t have to die! That curse was for me!



Wouldn’t have been a curse there in the first place if Voldemort had been finished off at the Department of Mysteries, would there?



Harry scrunched up his eyes in frustration.



It was either me or him. If I’d killed myself at the Department of Mysteries just to kill him, he would have survived on his horcruxes. I’d be dead and he’d be alive. No-one else could kill him except me. That’s what Trelawney’s prophecy said.



You still could have killed him. Made him one horcrux weaker. Given you the advantage on your horcrux search.



I didn’t know about the horcruxes then!



All the more reason for you to have killed him then. Charlie and Marietta are dead because he was still alive tonight.



“Aargh! Shut UP!” Harry yelled, jumping out of his chair and kicking it.



Ginny and Ron looked up, alarmed. Harry hardly gave them a sideways look before racing out of the room and down through the halls, before ending up at a window, looking down to the dark street below. He shoved his hands deep inside his pockets, glaring at the soft rain that had started. He leant forward, bringing his forehead to rest against the cold glass. He sunk to his knees, his body shaking with sobs. The laughter he’d shared with the twins just the day before was forgotten. He remembered Charlie, just yesterday, telling them where the graveyard was. Did Charlie have any idea he was directing them to his death? Just yesterday. It seemed an age away.



Harry felt a small hand on his shoulder.



“Harry?” It was Ginny. Harry recoiled, pushing her away from him. He furiously wiped at his eyes.



“Get away,” he choked out, curling up against the window. Ginny brought a hand to her mouth, looking at him through her own tears.



“Harry,” she whispered. “You can’t bear this on your own.”



Harry shook his head vehemently. “Not you,” he said. “Not you. Your brother is dead because I didn’t kill Voldemort earlier. If you hang round me, my mood will just pull you down further. Get away from me.”



Ginny sat on the floor a few feet away from him, on the other side of the window. Her heart broke as she watched Harry refuse to let her help. She fought the feeling of rejection as she reached out to Harry. She hesitantly reached a hand out and placed it on his knee.



“Harry… there was no way in the world you could have killed Voldemort any earlier than tonight. Voldemort would still be alive and wreaking death and destruction if it weren’t for you,” she said. She hesitated, then continued. “I could have been killed tomorrow. Remus could have been killed next week. Luna could have been killed next year… if you hadn’t killed Voldemort tonight.”



“That doesn’t help!” Harry yelled. “That doesn’t help Charlie, does it? It doesn’t help Marietta! It doesn’t help Sirius!”



“It helps everyone else!” Ginny yelled back. “It helps Tonks, Moody, Kingsley, who have dedicated their lives to Voldemort’s destruction! It helps Mum and Dad focus on raising their kids and not being afraid that any more will be taken away by a power-hungry dark wizard! It helps me knowing I can have a safe, normal life!” Ginny’s eyes blazed at Harry.



Harry licked his lips, now a little uncertain. But Ginny wasn’t finished.



“You’re not the only one involved here, Harry,” she said. Her voice softened. “I understand, Harry. You know you’re the only one who could defeat him, and felt responsible that any minute he was left alive was your fault because you hadn’t fulfilled your job yet. But it’s not that simple! You might have been the one destined to finish him off, but it’s not always in your control!” She grabbed both his hands, bringing his eyes up to meet hers. “It took cooperation, Harry. Hermione, Ron, Bill, Dad, Marcus, Colin, everyone, everyone played a part Harry. You couldn’t get to your destination without people getting you there. You weren’t responsible for everything involved in Voldemort’s destruction. You were simply the one who ultimately had to kill him.”



Harry looked into Ginny’s pleading eyes.



“Please, please don’t blame yourself for things out of your control,” she whispered.



Harry stared at her, amazed. What had he done to deserve her support like this? He sniffled and fought back tears as Charlie’s face swam back into view. He thought of those lying in hospital beds, out to the world. Bill, Luna, Moody, Shacklebolt… Harry’s body shook again as exhaustion and grief overcame him and tears poured down his face. He looked back into Ginny’s face, mirroring his own emotions. She leant forward and wrapped her arms around him, pulling him closer to her, and he collapsed forward, burying his face in her shoulder. She sat back against the wall, kissing the top of Harry’s head as they both cried for the people they’d lost.
Chapter 5- So Busted by LilaBear
Author's Notes:
Here's chapter 5! Please review, I'll respond to any questions ;)


Fifteen minutes later, Molly and Remus finally found Harry and Ginny, curled up in the corner beside the window, asleep. Upon seeing their tear-streaked faces, Molly brought a hand to her mouth and stifled a sob. Remus placed a comforting hand on her shoulder before conjuring a blanket and placing it over the two.

“We’ll leave them for now,” he whispered. “I think everyone needs all the sleep they can get.”

~*~

Harry felt a hand shake him awake. He rubbed his eyes and looked blearily at the young woman hovering above him.

“Tonks?”

Tonks smiled softly. “Wotcher, Harry. Morning. Looks like you slept well.”

Harry rolled his head to crack his neck, ignoring the look on Tonks’s face.

“I did,” he agreed, sitting up a little more. “I think my neck may remind me all day, though.” Harry wiggled to extricate himself from Ginny’s arms, then slipped one arm behind her back and the other under her knees and stood up, Ginny in his arms. “Do I smell coffee?”

Tonks grinned. “Coffee, bagels and pumpkin juice. There’s a bit of a mini-breakfast party happening in Bill’s room. He woke up an hour ago.”

Harry sighed in relief, a smile stretching across his face. That was just the news they needed after the night before.

“I wonder if I should wake her up, then,” he said, nodding towards Ginny’s sleeping face leaning against his shoulder. Tonks stopped in front of Bill’s door and winked at Harry, before slipping into the room without answering him. Harry sat down on a chair in the hall, savouring the moment of having Ginny calmly curled up in his arms. He kissed the top of her head before gently shaking her shoulder and murmuring into her ear.

“Wake up, Ginny.”

Ginny stirred and looked at Harry in confusion. He smiled and chuckled at her weary face.

“Sleep well?”

Ginny frowned. “I think so,” she answered. Harry kissed her forehead.

“Bill woke up,” Harry said. “Breakfast is on in his room.”

Ginny closed her eyes as a relieved smile found its way onto her face. She wrapped her arms around Harry briefly in a tight hug before jumping off his lap and giggling, “Race you inside,” with a wink. Before Harry could move Ginny had spun around and pushed open Bill’s door, disappearing behind it. Harry smiled to himself before following her.

~*~

An hour later Harry and Ron sat alone with Bill in his room.

“How is everyone doing?” Bill asked. “The last thing I remember is seeing Marietta dead on the ground behind me.”

Harry sighed in relief upon hearing Bill didn’t remember the excruciating pain he’d been in. It was a memory better off forgotten.

“Most people are pretty ok,” Ron said. “Mum and Ginny were a bit of a mess when they heard about you guys… and about Charlie… but I think Ginny has calmed down and cheered up a bit,” he added, hazarding a glance at Harry, before continuing. “Everyone is conscious except Luna and Shacklebolt.”

Suddenly a shriek was heard from outside and Harry and Ron could hear a commotion of voices.

“My ‘usband, my Bill, where eez my Bill?”

Ron suppressed a laugh and glanced at Bill before turning to Harry. “I think we’re about to be kicked out, mate.”

Fleur burst through the door in a show of melodrama and flew at the bed, throwing herself at Bill and covering his face in kisses. Bill managed to disentangle himself long enough to give Ron a one-armed hug and shake Harry’s hand. Ron and Harry collapsed out the door, laughing openly for the first time in over twelve hours. The two of them leant against the wall and slid to the ground, sighing as the laughs subsided, still with grins spread across their faces.

“I’m glad she’s around,” Ron said after a moment. Harry looked at him like he had gone crazy. Ron looked back at him. “What? Who else could send us into a fit of laughter like that, not twelve hours after the Final Battle?”

Harry smirked and stood back up.

“I think your Dad made some comment about going back to the Burrow,” he said, giving Ron a hand back to his feet. Ron nodded in agreement.

“Mmmmm, my bed… I like that idea.”

~*~

Harry sat in the kitchen at the Burrow, a cup of tea in his hands. Ginny and Hermione sat on the opposite side of the table from him and Ron sat beside him. All four were still trying to wake up, two days after the final battle.

“Morning, Sunshine!” Fred hollered, bounding down the stairs, paying no attention to the recently healed wrist he was supposed to be resting. He was met with four glares. “What?”

Ginny looked back into her cup of coffee. “You haven’t spoken to Mum this morning, have you.” It was more of a statement than a question. Fred shook his head.

“Charlie’s funeral is in two days,” Hermione informed him. Fred paled slightly at the painful reminder. Mrs Weasley came bustling into the kitchen, hardly noticing Fred.

“Ron, dear, you need to change the dressing on your leg,” she said. Ron looked down at his left leg that had sustained many small but deep cuts from a long-distance sectumsempra curse.

“But you only put a new dressing on it before I went to bed!”

Mrs Weasley looked at him. “Yes, and it needs changing twice a day! Once in the morning and once before you go to bed. Hermione or Ginny can do it for you if you’d rather.”

Ron shot a dirty look at Ginny who was grinning wickedly at the idea of changing Ron’s dressing, presumably making it as uncomfortable for him as possible. Ron turned to face Hermione, a weak expression on his face.

“Hermione?”

A look of what Harry thought to be sympathy crossed Hermione’s face before she smiled and stood up to clear dishes off the table.

“If you can get the stuff for me, I’ll come up to your bedroom and change it for you.”

A look of relief washed across Ron’s face before he stood up from his seat and headed towards the stairs. Ginny looked at Hermione and raised her eyebrow.

“What?” Hermione hissed, trying to avoid Mrs Weasley’s ears as she cleaned the dishes on the other side of the room.

“What?” Ginny mocked, raising both eyebrows this time. “I do believe you looked almost sympathetic then, Hermione.”

A blush flitted across Hermione’s cheeks before she regained her composure.

“Your brother is one of my best friends, Ginny. Those cuts can’t be tickling him. I imagine he’s in more pain than he lets on.”

Ginny’s face softened. She had just been teasing Hermione, but now she sensed there was real concern in Hermione’s voice.

“You’re really concerned about him, aren’t you?” she asked gently. Hermione looked at her, putting on a confused appearance.

“Of course I am, Ginny. Like I said, he’s one of my best friends.”

Ginny groaned inwardly in exasperation. Was Hermione really that thick, or was she just avoiding the point? Ginny poked her head out of the kitchen and noted that George and Fred were playing a game of wizard chess in the living room. She turned back to Hermione.

“Hermione, my room. Now.”

Hermione shook her head.

“I have to change Ron’s dressings, remember?”

Ginny groaned to herself again, before considering the fact this would give her an opportunity to observe.

“Well, hurry up then!”

~*~

Ten minutes later Ginny found herself sitting on Harry’s bed with him watching Hermione change Ron’s dressings while he lay on his bed. Hermione pulled a bandage off one particularly painful-looking cut and Ginny felt Harry flinch beside her. Ron saw Hermione reach for a bottle of purple lotion out of the corner of his eye and he groaned.

“Oh Merlin no, not that stuff… Hermione, please?”

“Ron, if I don’t do this properly, you can rest assured your mother won’t let me change your dressings again, and it will be either her or Ginny doing it.”

Ron scrunched his eyes up and stuffed his face into his pillow, unsuccessfully trying to bite back a yelp when Hermione applied the cream. Five minutes later she’d finished the last of the cuts and was wrapping a bandage around his lower leg to keep the dressings of all eight cuts in position. Ron groaned as he rolled over onto his back.

“How about a game of chess?” Harry suggested. Ron perked up slightly.

“Yeah, ok.”

Ginny took the opportunity to stand and head for the door.

“Well, Hermione and I will leave you two to your game, won’t we Hermione?” Ginny said pointedly, staring at Hermione. Hermione looked at her with a surprise. Ginny had caught her staring at Ron as he maneuvered himself out of his bed and onto the floor to pull his chess set out from under the bed.

“Um, yes, I mean- have fun, boys,” Hermione stuttered, jumping up from her position on the bed and just about pushing Ginny out the door.

Ginny pulled Hermione into the room they shared and plonked her down on her bed.

“You are so busted,” Ginny said gleefully. Hermione’s face was ablaze and she covered it with her hands.

“What’s happened to me, Ginny?”

Ginny had to stop her jaw from dropping.

“You’re nineteen, Hermione! You’re allowed to feel this way about a boy!”

“Yes, but that particular boy? Ron? The person I refused to speak to in third- and fourth! “ AND SIXTH! - year? The one who made constant comments about Viktor? The one whose mother sent him a Howler for taking a charmed car? The one who couldn’t be more different to me if he tried?”

Ginny looked at Hermione, slightly awe-struck.

“The one who helped save you from a troll in your first year? The one who battled along side you in the Department of Mysteries? The one who sacrificed himself for you and Harry in a game of giant chess? The one who helped you get Dumbledore’s Army up and running? The one who muttered your name while unconscious in the hospital wing? The one who took on his greatest fear, giant spiders, in order to have you un-petrified?”

Hermione looked back at Ginny, a similar look of awe across her face.

“He did, didn’t he?”

Ginny rolled her eyes.

“Hermione, how long have you felt this way about my brother?”

Hermione just shook her head.

“I don’t know. One day, I just… realised. And tried to ignore it.” Suddenly a new wave of panic hit Hermione. “What if he doesn’t feel the same way?”

Ginny rolled her eyes and groaned. “Oh, trust me, you don’t need to worry about that.”

Hermione bit her lip. “You can’t just learn this stuff from books, can you?”

Ginny bit back a giggle. “Hermione… you don’t have to learn anything. You and Ron know each other too well already to have to try and impress each other.”

Hermione flopped back onto her bed with a groan. “I don’t know what to do, Ginny.”

Ginny laughed. “You don’t have to do anything, Hermione. He’s the one who has to get his act together.”

Hermione paused for a moment before speaking again. “I guess I’ll have to wait a while. Not that I mind,” she added in a rush, “just that things are going to be a bit… tricky around here for a while. Especially with Charlie’s funeral… “

She drifted off, realising Ginny too was one of Charlie’s siblings. Ginny nodded. It was only two days since Charlie had died, and the wound was still fresh, raw and just as painful, but she’d used up all her tears the first night she’d found out about it.

“I’m glad he didn’t marry,” Ginny said. Hermione nodded.

“I know what you mean. If it were Bill he would have left behind a pregnant wife. Charlie left behind a family… but not a family that was dependent upon him, if you get my meaning… I hope that didn’t sound really insensitive,” Hermione added quietly.

Ginny smiled slightly. “I know what you mean.”
Chapter 6- A Day to Mourn by LilaBear
Author's Notes:
And here's chapter 6! Please let me know what you think so I can make things better in the future ;)

NB: Please go back and read Chapter 3 again- I've added in a new bit in regards to when Harry kills Voldemort. I will be referring back to that part in a few chapters' time, so it's important you read it. Thanks :)


Thursday morning dawned bright and sunny, and Harry was up at the crack of dawn. He sat on the seat by Ron’s window, looking out over the meadows and trees beside the Burrow, with a blanket wrapped around him. He heard Ron stir behind him.



“Morning,” Harry said.



“Mrnmfng,” came the reply.



The family had decided straight away not to have the funeral at the local graveyard. Graveyards, in Molly’s opinion, were unsafe for her family. A small plot of land down the back of the Weasley property had been designated a family burial site- a place Molly hoped she would not have to bury anyone else.



Harry wandered down the stairs, still in his pyjamas, the end of the blanket trailing behind him. He loved the Burrow. He couldn’t imagine a more wonderful home. When I get married, I want a home just like this, he thought to himself. He could smell breakfast coming from the kitchen where he knew Mrs Weasley was cooking, but he didn’t go in yet. He stayed in the living room, looking out into the back yard, gazing at the trees that he knew hid an impromptu Quidditch pitch behind it.



Quidditch. It had been far too long since he played it. It’s been far too long since I rode my broom, Harry thought with a wry grin. Harry rubbed his feet together, cold on the bare wooden floor. Winter had definitely set in. That means Christmas can’t be far away, Harry realised. He’d completely lost track of time while searching for the Horcruxes. With the thought of Christmas came the thought of the new year; Harry was looking forward to it.



A new year, a time for change, he thought happily. He would probably end up back at Grimmauld Place, though he hated to leave the homeliness of the Burrow. Harry knew he had plenty of money left to him by his parents and Sirius to survive for years without working, but he knew he’d never do that. He’d get far too bored, but he had no idea what he’d do with himself the next year.



“Good morning,” a voice softly interrupted him. He glanced behind himself to see Ginny, wrapped up in a thick dressing gown with fuzzy slippers. Harry chuckled at the sight of them. “What?” Ginny asked indignantly. “Are you laughing at Mr Fluffy and Mr Fuzzy?”



Harry’s chuckled escaped into a full-blown laugh. “Which one’s Mr Fluffy and which one’s Mr Fuzzy?”



Ginny sighed as she looked at the slippers. “I have no idea. I’d forgotten by the time I was seven, I think.”



Harry grinned at the image of a seven-year-old Ginny looking sadly at the slippers, trying to remember which was which.



Mrs Weasley poked her head out of the kitchen. “Oh, it’s you two,” she said happily, though her eyes had lost a bit of their sparkle. “I thought I heard voices. You’re up early.”



Harry turned to follow her back into the kitchen. “I watched the sunrise. Ron was awake… or, in some state of awakeness, but not for long, I think.”



The smell of bacon, eggs, bagels, raisin toast and coffee assaulted his senses as he stepped into the kitchen.



“I definitely don’t want to leave the Burrow if it means leaving smells like these,” Harry said.



“Leave the Burrow?” Ginny and Mrs Weasley asked in unison, their heads snapping up to look at him.



“Oh, I wasn’t planning on doing it anytime soon,” he rushed to explain. “I was just thinking about the new year, and about Grimmauld Place, and thinking I’ll probably end up there.”



“Well, you’re definitely spending Christmas here,” Mrs Weasley said with a no-nonsense air in her voice.



“I was planning on it,” Harry grinned. He surveyed the wonderful food before him, then thought of the day to come. Charlie. Harry suddenly realised he’d lost a bit of his appetite, but certainly not enough to dissuade him from sampling some bacon and eggs with raisin toast and coffee to finish.



As he sat munching on the toast and sipping his coffee, he watched Ginny who was on the other side of the table reading the Daily Prophet, oblivious to the fact she was being watched. The recently-risen sun was peeking through the windows of the lounge room and flowed into the kitchen, the light bouncing off Ginny’s hair in what Harry found to be the most beautiful thing he’d seen in a long while.



Harry watched Ginny read the Prophet apprehensively. He almost didn’t want to know what it contained. These days, it usually had some manner of bad news for him, and today of all days he didn’t want any other concerns on his mind. Today was family day, to mourn for Charlie. Harry sighed gently in relief when Ginny set the paper aside, seeming unperturbed by what she had read inside it. Still, he left it untouched as he rose from the table.



“I’m going to get changed. I might try and wake Ron up in the process,” he said.



Without looking up, Ginny passed him a plate with some bacon on, saying “wave this under his nose.” Harry grinned and took the plate, thinking the idea just might work.



~*~



A small crowd was gathered under a group of trees in the far back corner of the Weasley grounds. Arthur, Molly, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny sat together, with Bill, Fleur, Harry, Neville, Hermione and Colin sitting behind them, and Remus, Tonks, Marcus and Moody sitting in the back. Anthony was on leave and visiting his family in Manchester, and Luna and Kingsley were still in St Mungo's, even though Kingsley was now conscious.



Harry knew Percy’s absence was a thorn in Molly’s heart, but he had a feeling that should Percy show up, he’d be hexed and possibly even cursed into next week by his siblings.



The officiating wizard stood up the front and brought the memorial service to a start. Once the official matters were out of the way, Bill was invited to give Charlie’s eulogy. Harry was dreading this moment. Dreading the moment that Charlie’s life would be brought back to the surface, and he would be reminded of what he could have prevented. He was doing a lot better in regards to blaming himself, and even though he no longer took full responsibility for Charlie’s death, he still felt like he’d had some hand in it.



Bill took a deep breath as he surveyed the people gathered before him.



“Charlie Weasley was one of the bravest men I knew,” he started. “He had a remarkable combination of awe-inspiring qualities about him which made him an amazing all-rounder.” Bill licked his lips before continuing. “He was fearless, but careful. I imagine you’d have to be to work with dragons. He was one of the fittest people I knew, who was happiest outdoors. He was an amazing flyer and could have played pro Quidditch if he’d wanted.



“He was an important leg within The Order of the Phoenix. He travelled huge distances rallying support against Voldemort and was often away from home for months at a time. He was self-less and worked hard for others without complaining.”



As Bill spoke, Harry couldn’t help but realise a lot of what he was saying could be applied to the entire Weasley family. Good flyers; self-less; brave; loyal. He broke out of his train of thought to realise tears were rolling down his cheeks.



He looked to his side, taking in Neville’s face. Harry sucked in a breath as he considered the change Neville had gone through. Gone was the afraid, bungling boy wizard of Hogwarts; today there sat a highly capable, although sometimes still anxious, wizard.



He shifted his eyes from Neville to Colin. Colin, although vastly different to Neville, had undergone changes not unlike Neville’s. He had always possessed more confidence than Neville, and had progressed in skill faster, but he had been so innocent to the terror the wizarding world could bestow upon him. He was no longer “that boy with the camera”; he was now that wizard who could cast a shielding charm faster than anyone Harry knew.



Fighting Voldemort was one thing. It was when people began dying, and Harry realised his old life truly was gone, that the heartache set in. He would never play as Seeker opposite to Charlie in the Weasleys' backyard ever again. Hermione would never be able to put a body-bind on Neville without him deflecting it ever again. Dumbledore would never take Harry on a tour of his memories ever again. Life was changing far too fast for Harry’s liking.



Harry now saw the officiating wizard resume his position at the front of the group, and heard him ask if anyone else had any last words to say before the coffin was buried.



Harry didn’t know why he did it, but suddenly he found himself walking to the front of the group. He surveyed the people in front of them; he felt, rather than saw, their heartbreak. Tears clouded his vision as he felt his own emotions fall apart inside.



Harry took a deep breath before speaking.



“I didn’t used to know Charlie very well,” he began. “But he was always one of my heroes. From the time I heard people calling him the best Hogwarts Seeker in fifty years, I was hooked. Then I saw him with those dragons he loved so much. I never took much of a liking to dragons, and to see the amazing care and attention he gave them completely baffled but awed me.” Harry paused, searching his brain for the right words.



“Then he came home at… at the beginning of the war. I got to know him better and witness his flying abilities myself. I don’t believe I have ever personally known a better flyer. He had his fair share of the twins’ humour, and he loved to make people laugh.



"For days I've felt responsible for Charlie’s involvement, and then death, in the war.” He paused again to fight the tears that threatened to spill over. Suddenly a realisation dawned upon him. “I would have, and I know Ron would have, gladly taken that curse if we knew the alternative was for it to take Charlie. But I think to constantly insist it should have been us rather than him belittles the sacrifice he did make. Instead of focusing on what we believe we should have done, we should focus on what Charlie did do.”



Harry’s resolve almost crumpled upon seeing Hermione collapse onto Colin’s shoulder, crying her heart out silently. He pulled his eyes away from Hermione and the fell onto Ginny. Instead of seeing the expected heartbreak, he saw a mixture of sadness and… pride?



Ginny furiously wiped at the tears spilling down her cheeks and gave Harry an encouraging smile. Harry’s heart swelled at the encouragement, and he drew another deep breath to calm his emotions before continuing.



“Ron, Fred and George became my friends before they became like my brothers. But I found in Charlie, I think, a brother before a friend. And that will stay with me forever.”



As he resumed his seat, he heard a fresh burst of tears and sniffles from Molly’s direction, followed by a mumbled “What a lovely boy. He loved Charlie so much. Oh, what a dear, sweet boy.”



~*~



The Weasleys had retired back to the Burrow for lunch, followed by a quiet afternoon. Everyone else had left the Burrow for their own homes, except Harry and Hermione of course. Ginny and Hermione had decided on a bit of girly bonding time in their bedroom, while Harry and Ron opted out and decided to lie out on the grassy lawn for a bit of peace and quiet, deciding the house was unlikely to stay quiet for long.



Ron squinted slightly and looked over the trees from his position on the ground.



"Harry, that's not Hedwig is it?"



Harry followed Ron's gaze to the white owl that was flying towards the Burrow. Harry shook his head.



"No. That one looks like it has some grey under its wings."



The owl descended and flew to the kitchen window of the Burrow. Ron groaned and rolled over before standing up and walking over to the owl, taking the letters off its feet. He turned to walk back to Harry but glanced back at the owl, which was glaring at him.



"What do you want? Off you go."



The owl continued to glare at Ron. Ron rolled his eyes and pushed the window open, knowing it was unlocked and that Molly kept her owl feed just inside it.



"Oh fine, in you go then. Don't eat it all," Ron admonished, before returning his gaze back to the letters in his hand.



"What are they?" Harry asked as Ron resumed his place beside him. Harry was still mentally and emotionally working through the funeral and what he had said, and what he'd felt during Bill's speech, and wasn't really in the mood for any new news.



"It's... they're summons," Ron said, slightly confused.



"Summons?" Harry asked, curiosity climbing its way through his plethora of emotions. "What for? Who for?"



"Well, this one is for... Charlie," he said faintly. Harry sat up, enraged.



"WHAT?" He ripped the letter out of Ron's grasp, fury tearing through his veins. "Are these what I think they are?Summons for the Wizengamot?"



Ron nodded his head and gazed at the letters before him.



"If these are all the same thing, there's one for Bill too, and Dad… and Harry, there’s one for you too." Ron’s face was expressionless as he tried to process it. Harry on the other hand was infuriated.



“What are they playing at? Do they not know Charlie’s dead or something? Don’t the Ministry Departments talk to each other? What on earth is Charlie getting a summons for anyway? What’s he done except help kill Lord bloody Voldemort?!”



Ron licked his lips and hesitated, before he took the letter back from Harry in an uncharacteristic show of calmness. He re-read the letter before him.



“That’s just it, Harry,” he said.



“What’s just it??”



“He helped kill Lord Voldemort.”



For a moment Harry was so taken aback by Ron saying Voldemort’s name without flinching that he forgot what Ron had just said. He sat for a moment before processing Ron’s words.



“They sent him a summons because he helped do what they’ve been trying to do for thirty years?”



“He used the Avada Kedavra curse, Harry. So… so did you… and I know Marcus and Bill did too… I don’t know which curse Dad must have used to get a summons.”



Harry flopped onto his back again, staring at the sky in frustration before words spewed forth in anger.



“They were Death Eaters! Does the Ministry not understand that? And VOLDEMORT! Ron, am I seriously going to be tried, and possibly sent to Azkaban for killing LORD VOLDEMORT?”



The thought of his friends being sent to Azkaban for aiding him in his job to kill Voldemort enraged Harry. He hadn’t felt such anger since looking Voldemort in the eye and killing him. Suddenly Harry’s emotions came crashing down. His deep breathing subsided and he glared at the happy sun.



“I didn’t want to kill anyone, Ron,” he whispered. He wanted to spill all his thoughts out- how it had been eating him away, the fact that he had killed a person, yet at the same time, hadn’t killed him soon enough. But Harry kept his mouth closed. He didn’t need to burden Ron any further. It was all over. These feelings would disappear soon enough. “Show me that,” Harry said suddenly, rolling over and pulling the letter addressed to him from the pile.



He sat up and ripped the envelope open, ignoring the Ministry emblem as it floated to the ground.



Dear Mr Harry Potter


As of this day, Thursday 16th December 1999, you have hereby been charged with the following crimes:


~ Using the “Avada Kedavra” curse with malicious intent
~ Grievous bodily harm of Amycus Carrow
~ Intentional torture of Thomas Marvolo Riddle
~ Murder of Thomas Marvolo Riddle


A delegation of Aurors have been sent to your current residence to escort you to the Ministry for Magic to await your trial before the Wizengamot. Your trial will be at 11am tomorrow morning, Friday 17th December 1999.


Sincerely,


Rufus Scrimgeour,


Minister for Magic




“You can use the Avada Kedavra curse without malicious intent?” Harry asked. He glanced in Ron’s direction. It was like a switch had been flicked in his brain. His face was contorted in disbelief mixed with horror.



“What the hell is this?” he sputtered. “They are charging you with killing Thomas Marvolo Riddle? Are they trying to make him sound more human or something?”



“I have no idea,” Harry muttered darkly. “But I do know we need to talk to your dad now. And I want Remus, Tonks and Moody here, too.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68487