It's Been One Week by Sly Severus
Summary: After a particularly pointless fight, Bella and Rodolphus spend a week having a particularly pointless argument.

Written for SPEW'07.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2161 Read: 1433 Published: 06/20/07 Updated: 06/26/07

1. Chapter 1 by Sly Severus

Chapter 1 by Sly Severus
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros

Song Disclaimer: The lyrics at the beginning of this story do not belong to me. They are from the song One Week by The Barenaked Ladies

Also a big thank you to Hermione_Rocks for beta reading this. *huggles to Anna*




It’s been one week since you looked at me
Cocked your head to the side
And said I’m angry
Five days since you laughed at me saying
Get that together come back and see me
Three days since the living room,
I realized it’s all my fault, but couldn’t tell you
Yesterday you’d forgiven me
But it’ll still be two days till I say I’m sorry



“I hate you,” she screamed, throwing her jewel encrusted mirror at his head.

Laughing, he ducked just in time for the mirror to smash against the wall, shattering the glass. Kneeling to pick it up, he grinned widely, “Now, look what you’ve done, Bella. You’ve broken a mirror. You’re going to have seven years of bad luck.”

“I’m going to have a lifetime of bad luck, if I’m foolish enough to marry you,” she shot back.

“I really don’t know what you’re making such a fuss about,” he muttered, sitting the broken mirror on her dresser. “I only asked if you would mind escorting Rabastan to his graduation party. He doesn’t want to go alone, and with you, all eyes would be on him. I was just looking out for my baby brother. A simple no would have been sufficient, if you don’t want to take him.”

“Of course, I don’t want to take him,” she snapped. “I can’t believe that you would ask me that. Did you honestly think that I would be all right with you passing me off to your little brother? You’re supposed to be my fiancé. You’re supposed to care about me. I’m not some toy that you can share.”

“I’m not sharing you,” he cried in an exasperated voice. “It was just meant to be fun. I thought you liked Rabastan.”

“As a brother-in-law,” she muttered, “not a date.”

“You’re overreacting.”

“I am not.”

“Bella…”

“Get out,” she screeched, throwing a pillow at him.

His reflexes were slower than before and he was hit by the pillow. However, it was much softer than the mirror, so he didn’t bother to complain. He slipped out of Bella’s room, leaving her to cool down.

The next evening Bella sighed as she tossed a chocolate frog in her mouth. Ever since she was a little girl, she ate chocolate when she was upset. Her mother had always told her that it would make her fat, but she ignored her. She ignored everything her mother said, and it was probably for the best.

“That was a really nasty thing to suggest,” Narcissa agreed, helping herself to a piece of chocolate, “but I don’t think he meant to hurt you. I think he meant it as a compliment. After all, he did say that all eyes would be on Rabastan if he took you.”

“So I’m just an ornament then?” Bella snapped. “I’m nothing more than a pretty creature to look at.”

“No one said that,” Narcissa shook her head. “It’s one date”not even a real date. Besides, it’s not like Rabastan is hard to look at. I bet you would even have fun.”

“It’s not about having fun,” Bella told her. “Rodolphus sees me as a possession that he can share with his brother.”

“If he saw you that way, he wouldn’t have asked you to take Rabastan to the party, he would have ordered you. I’m telling you, Bella, this isn’t what you’re making it out to be. If I were you, I would go.”

“If you want to go so badly, why don’t you ask Rabastan to take you?” she snapped.

“I give up,” Narcissa muttered, rising from the bed. “If you want to be mad, there’s nothing I can do to stop you.”

Bella watched as her sister left the room. She hated it when Narcissa was mad at her. Her baby sister really was the closest thing she had ever had to a friend.

Sighing, she decided to head to bed. There was nothing more to be gained that day. Hopefully, things would look better in the morning.

*


“You asked Bella to take me?” Rabastan asked with a stunned expression.

“Why does that surprise everyone?” Rodolphus cried. “I thought it would be nice. Bella loves social events and I would prefer to stay home. I thought it would be fun for both of you. I never expected her to get mad about it.”

“You tried to hand your girlfriend over to your brother and you didn’t think she would get mad?”

“I wasn’t handing her over to you,” he snapped. “I thought she might like to go to a party with you. Is that really so horrible?”

“You really don’t understand women, do you big brother?”

“Well, I have a fiancé and you can’t even get a date to your graduation party,” Rodolphus muttered. “Are you sure that you should be making that comment?”

“I understand how women think. I just can’t seem to attract them. You made Bella feel common”unimportant. You made her feel like you were willing to share her. That’s not how a woman wants to be viewed.”

“So in short, you think she’s right?”

“I don’t know if she’s right,” Rabastan went on. “I understand that you thought we would have fun, but I understand why she took it the wrong way.”

“So what should I do?”

“Suck it up and apologize.”

“I don’t think I’m there yet.”

“You can be so hopeless.”

“You’re still the one without a date.”

“Yeah,” Rabastan sighed. “Any other suggestions?”

*


Sighing deeply, Bella closed her eyes, searching for strength. She didn’t know how she could manage to walk through another shop. This day was definitely not giving her a more positive outlook. Her feet hurt, she was hungry, and she really just wanted to go home. However, her mother was on a mission for the perfect set of dress robes; unfortunately, she and Narcissa were forced to come along.

Even more unfortunately, Bella opened her eyes to see the one man she did not want to see. Standing inside the shop, chatting with his brother was Rodolphus Lestrange. A frown spread across her face and she did nothing to conceal it.

“You should go say hello,” her mother told her when she spotted him.

“That’s fine,” Bella muttered.

“Why would you not speak to your fiancé?” her mother asked.

Bella said nothing and focused her angry glare on the floor.

“They had a fight,” Narcissa offered.

“Bellatrix Black, a Black woman does not hold a grudge against her fiancé,” her mother snarled. “It is inappropriate for you to ignore him in a public place. You and Rodolphus will have to work out your issues privately, but when you are in public you are to present a good image to the world. Now, you are to go over there and talk to him, at once. Do I make myself perfectly clear?”

“Perfectly,” Bella muttered, and then she turned, walking out of the store.

The following day found Bella sitting alone in her room trying to force her mind to focus on anything other than Rodolphus. However, there weren’t any better things to think about. Her mother was furious with her for embarrassing her in the store. Narcissa still thought she was overreacting and didn’t want to talk to her. Her father was away. That left her with very little to fill her time.

Hugging her pillow tight, she finally allowed herself to think of Rodolphus. Deep down, she knew that he hadn’t meant to hurt her. He really thought she would have fun at the party, and he was probably right. He was trying to do something nice.

She knew that he didn’t really see her as an object that could be passed around. She shouldn’t have come down on him so hard. He never meant to be hurtful. It would have been much more appropriate for her to tell him why she was hurt than to throw things at him. He really hadn’t deserved that.

But of course, she had let her temper get the best of her. Her temper always got the best of her. It was just one of the many Black family traits.

Sighing, she realized that she had forgiven him. However, she was not ready to tell him. No Black was anxious to admit that they had been wrong or that they had overreacted. She would keep her forgiveness to herself”at least, until he apologized.

*


“What are you doing here?” Rabastan asked, with a shocked expression as he opened the door for Narcissa Black.

“We need to talk about Bella and Rodolphus,” she said quickly. “They are acting like idiotic children. I know Bella has realized that she overreacted, and I’m sure Rodolphus knows that he said the wrong thing. The problem is that neither of them will admit that they’re wrong.”

“I already told Rodolphus to apologize to Bella,” Rabastan told her, as he motioned for her to take a seat in living room. “He wouldn’t listen to me. They’re both acting foolish, but we can’t be the ones to make them stop.”

“I hate seeing my sister like this,” Narcissa muttered.

“I’ll tell Rodolphus that Bella is upset,” he offered. “That might entice him to apologize. He wouldn’t want her to be hurt.”

“Thanks,” Narcissa said, rising to her feet. “As long as we’re doing something. I don’t want this to continue dragging on.”

“Are you leaving so soon?” Rabastan asked.

“Well, I only needed to discuss my sister,” she replied. “Was there something you wished to discuss?”

“Would you like to come to the graduation party?” he blurted out.

“Excuse me?” she asked.

“Well, it’s apparent that Bella won’t be escorting me,” he explained. “I really would like to have a date. We have fun together, Narcissa. I know that you’re a few years younger than me, but I’ll take care of you. I’m sure you’re parents wouldn’t object.”

“Sure,” she agreed, quickly. “I would love to go.”

“Excellent,” Rabastan smiled widely.

He then escorted her to the door, and lightly brushed her hand with his lips.

*


A loud knock at the door caused Bella to look away from the book she had been pretending to read. As the knocking persisted, she concluded that the useless house-elves were not tending to the door. She would never understand why her parents chose to keep such worthless creatures around. It was nine a.m. in the morning; what could the little beasts possibly be doing to keep them from the door?

Forcing herself to her feet, she went to answer the door herself, like a common peasant. Swinging the door opened, she gasped when she saw Rodolphus’ gorgeous face and the huge bouquet of red roses in his hand.

“Hi,” she said simply, unable to keep a smile from spreading across her face.

“Hello, Bella,” he greeted her, extending the flowers. “These are for you.”

“Thank you,” she replied, accepting the flowers and allowing him to enter the house.

Bella summoned a house-elf to tend to the roses and showed Rodolphus to the setting room. They sat opposite each other and for a few moments, neither of them spoke.

“I’m sorry,” Rodolphus said, at last. “I never meant to belittle our relationship. You mean the world to me, Bella. I only suggested that you take Rabastan to the party because I felt like I was holding you back from social activities. You enjoy parties”I don’t. I thought you would enjoy a night out. I never meant to give you the impression that I wanted to share you with my brother. I love you, and I want you all to myself.”

“I shouldn’t have gotten so angry,” Bella admitted. “However, I should warn you know, it’s a Black family weakness. If you still want to marry me, you’ll have a temper to contend with.”

“Of course, I still want to marry you,” he cried, moving closer to her and pulling her into a hug. “Does this mean you forgive me?”

“I’ll always forgive you,” she promised. “Even if it does take a week.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68686