Magical Debates by Ravenclaw
Summary: Written for an in-house challenge, this series of magical debates explores three important issues in the wizarding world today: education, time travel, and werewolves’ rights. Join the writers of Ravenclaw as we address both the pros and cons of these pressing concerns.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5748 Read: 5829 Published: 06/21/07 Updated: 06/21/07

1. Debate One: Education by Ravenclaw

2. Debate Two: Time Travel by Ravenclaw

3. Debate Three: Werewolves' Rights by Ravenclaw

Debate One: Education by Ravenclaw
Wizarding Issue:
The Lack of Math, English, and Music classes at Hogwarts
Authors:
Spottedcat (Anne Rhys' letter) and RedandGold (Professor Dumbledore's answering letter)



Dear Professor Dumbledore:

I have a longstanding concern, and though I don't like two of the people involved in this mess, I'm going to write this letter anyway.

The way Hogwarts is set up assumes that students all come in with a good working knowledge of both Mathematics and English writing. This is assuming a lot. Well, it's assuming too much. Hogwarts needs to offer classes in Mathematics and English (especially writing). In addition, I strongly feel that Hogwarts needs a music program.

This is my fourth year at Hogwarts, and as I'm in Slytherin, I've had ample opportunity to see two fellow Slytherins struggling in their schoolwork. Actually, it's impossible to miss their struggles. Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe are falling further behind all the time. And though I am happy to concede, along with three Hufflepuffs, two Gryffindors, and four Ravenclaws in my year, that Crabbe and Goyle are inherently stupid, I think a lot of their academic trouble stems from an inadequate education.

Yesterday in Potions, I watched while Goyle made his Sudden Sleep draught. Professor Snape put the directions on the blackboard, then told us to make one-quarter of a batch. This required us to use one-quarter of each ingredient in our potion (except for essence of eel slime, which we had to cut down to one-eighth, but that's neither here nor there.). (Well, actually, it is either here or there, as you shall find.)

Now, I freely admit that I have trouble with Math, and it's caused me problems in Potions. I made pits in the bottom of my cauldron last year when I accidentally doubled one ingredient of a potion, instead of halving it. But I've never seen anyone struggle with potions as much as Goyle. (Well, maybe Crabbe, but he hasn't done anything spectacular in Potions.) (At least, not yet.) While I divided the amounts in half, and then divided them again to make a quarter (except the essence of eel slime, which, since I needed one-eighth the amount, I divided yet again), Goyle hunched over his cauldron with his tongue stuck out the corner of his mouth. By the time I had my arithmetic done (and listened to a quiet lecture from a Gryffindor about being able to do simple arithmetic in my head instead of dragging it out over half a page of paper), Goyle had put his ingredients in his cauldron.

I had my mind on my cauldron, and I'm used to ignoring Goyle in Potions, so when his cauldron began to shake, I figured he'd put in too much hemlock and his cauldron would quiver for a while. I was just walking past him when his Sudden Sleep draught melted his cauldron. The draught ran down the table and onto the floor. I'm sure you're familiar with the results of a poorly made Sudden Sleep draught, especially since excess eel slime mixed with hemlock can turn a sudden sleep into a permanent sleep. If you received another note from Madam Pomfrey about my being in the hospital wing yet again, Goyle's potion was why. Sally-Anne Perkins overheard Goyle telling Professor Snape that he'd just tried to figure out how much "four outta ten" should be, then put that much in.

Not only is Goyle unable to figure out how to work even the most simple of fractions, but he doesn't comprehend a fraction.

As far as Math is concerned, I'm worried about my own skills, or lack thereof. I've checked ahead in the Potions textbook, and some of the potions near the end require what looks suspiciously to me like algebra. If this is the case, I'll be going down into the depths as far as my Potions grade. I just hope I don't injure anybody. Of course, since Goyle may kill us all with his amazing potions errors, I may not have to worry about a * a(b) = I when I = the second potion ingredient above freezing.

As to English, and writing, I offer yet another Slytherin example as to why Hogwarts needs these classes. Being in classes with Vincent Crabbe, and sitting behind him, as I have frequently in Transfiguration, I have noticed that he writes terrible papers. It's hard to miss his scores, since Professor McGonagall writes all our scores at the tops of our papers, and she has clear, readable handwriting. He has never scored above 50 percent. I have no idea why he is being continued to the next level; the boy can't write. It's not just that he can't write a convincing paper. He can't even write a sensible sentence.

Last Friday Professor McGonagall handed back our papers on the importance of concentration and the errors of distractibility in Transfiguration. I can write; that's no secret, and I float my passing grades on my writing. I don't know what Crabbe floats his grades on. I glanced over his shoulder and saw he'd gotten yet another 0 on his paper. And his first sentence: "If we are distract and concentrate and nothing goes." If you can make sense out of it, I congratulate you. I took the liberty of trying to read his paper when he left his book bag unattended in the common room. Yes, it was wrong of me, but I have been considering writing to you for several weeks, and I looked at his paper only to see if perhaps the rest of it was okay. It wasn't. About half the sentences were like unto the first. The other half were sort of sensible, but they were full of bad grammar. Evidently Crabbe has a fear of all punctuation marks other than periods.

We should arrive at Hogwarts, as I mentioned, with basic skills in math and writing. Some of us have not. We cannot do justice to a magical education without these basic Muggle academic skills. I think Hogwarts needs to meet students where they are, and offer remedial classes at the minimum, rather than assuming students are where they need to be and wondering why some students fail so spectacularly.

Music is another subject, and different than English and math, in that we don't need it to perform magic or write readably. So I address this subject separately. Muggle schools are quick to cut musical education when funding is low. Music isn't academic and doesn't (according to Muggle experts) bring academic scores up. Nor (according to the same Muggle experts) is it necessary in life.

I disagree with both these arguments. A student who has taken the time and expended the effort to learn a musical instrument, or to sing well, is accustomed to applying himself to concentrating and persevering. I use myself as an example; I think playing the harp has helped me learn self-discipline.

But beyond this, learning music brings a sense of accomplishment that extends to all areas of life. I can (and do) comfort myself over my frequent failures in Potions by reminding myself that I can make music. It's not just me who feels that way. My friends Sally-Anne Perkins and John Ignatius sing with me in a trio. All right, we aren't professionals, and nobody's asking us to appear in concert, or even to sing on a Saturday night at the Leaky Cauldron while people drink their beer and ale. But Professor Flitwick and the Bloody Baron have listened to us from time to time, and the three of us were recently very flattered to be asked to sing (and play, since I play the harp) at Ilona's wedding. You remember Ilona; she was a prefect for Slytherin. All right, so we're not actually singing, because she broke up with her fiancé, but we were honored to be asked.

Music is a real comfort to me. I've had a rough time here. I don't know how many times I've taken my harp to an empty classroom to play. I'm all by myself, and there's nobody to tell me whether I'm good or bad. I've found something... healing, I think, about music.

I think Hogwarts needs something musical. Even if you don't want to start an orchestra or a band, could we have a recorder band? I don't mean a tape recorder, like Muggles use to capture sound and re-play it. I mean a musical recorder. It's a sort of a flute with a mouthpiece on the top and finger holes, and it makes a lovely haunting sound. The Muggle ones made out of plastic are inexpensive, and they make surprisingly good music. I have a few with me here at school, and I would be happy to play for you so you can hear how lovely they are. I strongly feel that students at Hogwarts would do better in their studies, and feel better about life, if they have the opportunity to learn music. It could save someone's life.

Please consider what I've written here.

Sincerely,
Anne Rhys


My Dear Miss Rhys,

I would like to thank you for sending me this lovely post. It always makes one feel quite special to receive a lengthy missive such as yours.

I also want to reassure you that I have thought long and hard on the points you have addressed so eloquently. Indeed, I have ruminated on them since they were first brought to my attention by two Slytherin prefects, again when I heard from your Head of House, Professor Snape, and later still when I was cornered in the third-floor corridor by Deputy Headmistress, Professor McGonagall. I must say, I am pleased to see you have left no stone unturned. I appreciate initiative in one so young!

Now, I am certain you are as eager to hear my answers as I am. Let us begin with your first concern, namely that Hogwarts takes far too much for granted in assuming that students will arrive on our doorstep with a basic knowledge of English and Math.

Allow me to say how proud it makes me to find you hold such high regard for education in all its forms, as well as the concern you show for the welfare of others - specifically Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle. Many of our students would do well to follow your example in such matters, Miss Rhys.

Professor McGonagall was kind enough to check her records and inform me that although you were born in Wales, your own comprehensive education took place in America - Boston, I believe. ( I, myself, have had the distinct pleasure of visiting your country. Several years back, I was scheduled to speak at a Warlock’s Convention in Cornwall, England. Being in a slight fluster prior to Apparating, my concentration was rather spotty and I consequently found myself arriving in Cornwall, Massachusetts. It was a lovely place with simply delightful people. I digress, however.)

I am told that in Boston your education consisted of six years in what is known as an “Elementary School”, where you were fortunate enough to receive instruction in math, reading, spelling, science and music. We find that to be a consistent trend among children who come from Muggle households. Most wizarding families, I beg to point out, do not choose that route for their children and we here at Hogwarts are understanding of that choice.

You see, my dear Miss Rhys, until the age of eleven, the responsibility of education of a child lies solely and squarely upon the shoulders of the parents. To start with, we presume the child will be taught how many Knuts to a Sickle and how many Sickles to a Galleon. Frankly, I find that any child able to fully comprehend Wizarding Money is capable of most forms of math. Dare I admit after all these years that I still have difficulty knowing if I got back the correct change when purchasing socks at Gladrags?

(By the way, I did receive the note from Madam Pomfrey explaining that you were once more a guest in the Hospital Wing. I was exceedingly sorry to hear of it. I do hope you enjoyed the Lemon Drops I sent you; I am particularly fond of that Muggle sweet. Also, I have had a word with Professor Snape and he assures me that Mr. Goyle will be taking Remedial Potions.)

As for learning English, spelling, and grammar, that is also studied in the home. Most parents begin teaching their children to read and write at an early age, with the help of books such as One Witch, Two Witch, Red Witch, Blue Witch, The Poky Little Cruppy, and Goodnight Mooncalf. They continue to improve in reading, spelling, and handwriting until the parents are satisfied with their progress.

(Miss Rhys, I trust no more papers will find their way out of unattended book bags. I have suffered a temporary memory loss and am quite unable to remember the culprit at this time, yet I feel certain a cure will be found for it if the situation were to repeat itself. )

At the risk of being redundant, I will further state that music is also taught in the homes. Children, if they show an aptitude for it, will learn and practice music under the watchful eye of an experienced tutor. Trust me, my sympathies lie with you entirely; I feel music is a magic beyond all we do here. But, to be perfectly honest, the odds are not with us in regards to forming a music class. Let me explain. Hogwarts, any given year, is home to between 280 and 300 students. Let us suppose there is a talented trio such as yours in each House. That only gives us 12 students who show talent for music. And that’s not to say that those twelve are talented in the same areas of music. As often happens in Muggle schools, we unfortunately find that here also musical education of choice is simply not in the budget.

As to the musical devices you call “recorders”, I regret to inform you they are item number 385 on Mr. Filch’s list of banned items as they hurt Mrs. Norris’ ears. You are therefore welcome to take up your cause with Mr. Filch. If he allows them, then the recorders will be obtained for all who wish to learn to play them.

In summation, the Wizarding families of Europe have decided to maintain the Old-World tradition of education in the home until the age of eleven for those children who are accepted into Hogwarts and apprenticeships to a Master Tradesman under whom they can learn a craft for those who are not able to attend our school.

Unfortunately, if a parent wishes their child to learn only the most rudimentary of skills, then we must accept that. Our task once they reach Hogwarts is to teach them the skills they need to make their way in the wizarding world. That is our charge and we strive to carry it out faithfully.

To conclude, it has been a joy reading your highly entertaining accounts of Potions class and, once again, my dear Miss Rhys, I thank you for the pleasure of reading and responding to such a thoughtful and well-written letter. I feel sure this will not be the last time.

All my best wishes,
Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster
Debate Two: Time Travel by Ravenclaw
Wizarding Issue:
The Replacement of the Time-Turners destroyed in the Department of Mysteries in June, 1996
Authors:
Gmariam and Mugglemathdork



To Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic
Ministry of Magic
London, England
July, 1996

I am writing in regards to recent reports concerning the break-in at the Ministry of Magic this past June, in which Lord Voldemort was confirmed to have returned as recounted a year ago at the conclusion of the TriWizard Tournament. Specifically, I am referring to the damage in the Time Room done by Voldemort’s Death Eaters: I have heard that the stock of Time-Turners which were destroyed will not be replaced by the Department of Mysteries, and feel I must express my deepest concern over these troubling rumors.

I have always expressed and extended my full support of the research accomplished in the Department of Mysteries by the many talented Unspeakables employed to investigate the mysteries of the magical world. Their study of time in particular has allowed the wizarding community to gain a deeper knowledge of this complex element that runs and rules the universe. Through their inquiries into the intricacies of time we have come to better understand and manipulate this element for the enhancement of our community.

We are better able to create and control the settings on Portkeys, and have finally begun to truly understand the inner workings “ and timing “ of the Floo Network, thereby improving both methods of transportation for our fellow witches and wizards. We have also developed a number of unusual devices that allow for the precise measurements of time, such as clocks that detail a person’s movements through both time and space and allow for instant knowledge of their whereabouts.

The creation of the Time-Turner is possibly the pinnacle of achievement in the Department of Mysteries. They have been used to great effect by individuals both within and without the Ministry for many extraordinary and beneficial purposes. They first and foremost allow for more learning and accomplishment by extending the number of hours in which a witch or wizard has to study. Over my long tenure at Hogwarts a strong handful of students have benefited from being able to take more classes due to the Ministry’s allowance of a Time-Turner for their use; they are now successful witches and wizards in positions of renown and authority both in the Ministry, in academia, and around the world.

Unspeakables in the Time Room have also been able to study the finely interwoven threads of fate by observing the minute details of a given event with the use of Time-Turners. For this reason alone these priceless devices must be maintained as instruments of study. Allowing Unspeakables to travel back in time to study a particular moment has given us precious information on not only our history, but on how action effects outcome and how time flows relentlessly forward in response to our choices.

Most importantly, if the Ministry bans the re-creation of these amazing devices, they limit their ability to affect the future in positive ways. Though conspiracy theories abound on how the Ministry manipulates time for its selfish own uses, I doubt any to be true. I happen to know from personal experience that positive change can be affected and negative consequences minimized by the slightest tweaks to the timeline. I would not want to see the Ministry lose this incalculable ability for whatever reason, even were it never used.

I realize that the creation of a single Time-Turner is a long and arduous process that is both expensive and not without risk. I feel strongly that cost should not prohibit the Ministry from replacing these precious instruments, and that the risk is one worth taking in these dark times. Not even a seer can see into the future to detail the needs of the Ministry in our current battle against the forces of Lord Voldemort, or the needs of the wizarding world in the years to come.

I urge you with the strongest sentiments possible to reconsider your decision regarding the replacement of the Time-Turners. While I hope that it will not come to such an outcome, I fear for the future of the wizarding world if this door to our past is shut forever.

Cordially,
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Order of Merlin, First Class
Supreme Mugwump, International Confederation of Wizards
Chief Warlock, Wizengamot



To Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic
Ministry of Magic
London, England
August 1996

Upon the knowledge that Hogwarts Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, wrote in for the support of re-establishing the creation and use of Time-Turners, I felt it was my duty as a concerned member of Wizarding society to present an oppositional and objective view to the one submitted so that a well-informed decision be made by our leaders during these dark times ahead of us.

In regards to the damage created at the Time Room in the Department of Mysteries, one can only assume that it serves to show that not only is the Ministry not well guarded, but anyone can easily exploit this lack of security to steal important magical items to use for their own personal gain and benefit. The thought of anyone being able to infiltrate our institution of governance is outrageous and disturbing. The lax security does not allow for the creation or housing of such important and dangerous magical objects as Time-Turners.

Whilst the research done by Unspeakables in the Department of Mysteries is not only important, and valuable, it has also proven to be dangerous and badly handled during its creation and history. Consider the fact that of the seven departments at the Ministry of Magic, the Department of Mysteries is the least answerable and regulated. The Unspeakables are at their leisure to experiment, on petty whims, with dangerous, volatile, and unexplored magic, which has often ended in disastrous results.

The study of time, itself, is a worthy cause and has contributed to the creations of many wizarding commodities like the Floo Network, and better Portkeys, but the fact remains that time is a most unstable substance to meddle with unnecessarily.

I hope that it is taken into account that, only three summers ago, a Time-Turner was placed in the hands of a Hogwarts student, no older than fourteen, so that she may take extra classes to further her workload, and therefore allowing her to become ahead of her classmates. Not only did this result in an unfair academic advantage for that particular student, but the use of a Time-Turner to further the study hours one undertakes was not offered as a choice to the rest of the student population. This fact alone is enough to show that the main reason this choice was not offered or even considered is that in the wrong hands, Time-Turners could be misused and abused “ let alone at the hands of hormonal teenagers who can on a whim turn back ‘time’ to redeem a mistake or change the past for their benefit, or possibly to extend the time of another.

Meddling with time is unacceptable “ even in the smallest degree.

Also consider that with the lax security already in place at the Ministry of Magic, another break-in could be planned with the sole purpose of stealing a Time-Turner for the Dark Lord, who has now been fully recognized as having returned. The havoc that the Dark Lord's Death Eaters can create to the timeline is unfathomable. Take a moment to consider that the Dark Lord might return to the time of his first demise and change the past. Our society is just not ready for the ramifications of time-meddlers, nor are sanctions established for offenders.

The process of creating a Time-Turner is expensive, and time-consuming. The Ministry of Magic does not have the funds needed to invest in this extravagant object. The fiscal consequences of irresponsible spending should not be passed on to the general public if wholly unnecessary.

It is my hope that an objective, well informed, and thoughtful decision will be made in regards to this most pressing issue.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Severus Snape
Potions Master
Hogwarts Head of Slytherin
Debate Three: Werewolves' Rights by Ravenclaw
Wizarding Issue:
Werewolves’ Rights
Authors:
FenrirG and Laceymoibella



Introduction: A bill pertaining to the legal rights of the werewolf community has been brought before the wizarding council. Dolores Umbridge, who adamantly opposes the bill, confidently states why the bill should not be passed. Meanwhile, Remus Lupin presents an eloquent defense for the werewolves and the position they play in the wizarding world. Which side will win?

* * *


“I am Dolores Jane Umbridge and I am here today on behalf of the wizarding community to dispute the petition that has been requested pertaining to werewolf rights. If we allow this petition to be passed in to law, there are going to be serious repercussions felt throughout our wizarding world. Life as we know it will cease to exist.”

She purposely scanned the panel of witches and wizards seated before her, impressed to see that she had their complete attention. “You may proceed,” boomed a wizard in green robes.

Dolores resumed her speech. “First and foremost, I would like to state there are several reasons as to why we should not allow this bill to pass.” She smiled sweetly at the group assembled before her.

“Safety. Your children need to be taken into consideration since they will inevitably come into contact with werewolves if we accept them openly within our society. Children’s lives are at stake. We all know how werewolves prefer the young and innocent. If we allow them to mingle in our community, they will be sorely tempted to seek out your children; possibly for some of you, your grandchildren. I, for one--and I am certain most of you agree-- do not want to be held responsible for any destruction that will occur at the hands of werewolves.” She gazed at the council and then charged on.

“Adults are even at risk, for werewolves are not choosy when the need to feed strikes. A werewolf will not ignore their urge when it becomes overbearing. How would we protect ourselves, our families, friends, associates and neighbors if a werewolf goes on a rampage?”

Looking around she saw a few heads nod in agreement. Bolstered, Dolores plunged on. “Commerce; our means of stability for our economy. If werewolves are hired for positions in which they deal with the public, we would observe a dramatic decrease in sales. We would all suffer since no one would dare step into one of our fine establishments knowing a werewolf worked there. They would fear for their lives.” Dolores heard murmurs of consent ripple through the crowd gathered before her.

“What about their issues that occur every month?” Studying the group of wizards and witches she pressed on. “They would be absent from their post for days thereby leaving the shopkeepers scrambling to fill the positions temporarily. What is a storeowner to do if their employee is absent for a number of days? The extra burden that would be placed upon them would be insurmountable.”

With unwavering confidence, Dolores smoothly went on. “Regulation. Werewolves need to have a close eye kept on them. It is imperative that we know their whereabouts, their every movement. Keeping track of them would require an extra effort and diligence on the council’s part, an area in which you are stretched thinly as it is. We would absolutely have to have the knowledge of where they reside for when it comes time for the full moon to rise. We would have to know where they are so they could be carefully monitored. Hence we should envision confining them together in one, large place in order to watch them properly. We would need to be certain that they harmed no innocent individuals.”

Dolores paused momentarily to peruse the sea of faces. Inwardly liking what she saw, she continued in a honeyed tone. “Werewolves’ role in society. What good do they bring to the community? We have heard, or in some cases witnessed, the carnage they have bestowed upon their unsuspecting victims. They do not belong in our genteel society. Their moods can swiftly change from impassive to savage in a matter of mere seconds. Thus, they are undependable creatures.”

Perceptibly, she noted her words being digested by the witches and wizards sitting on the board. With a smug look she delved on without glancing at her list. “Public relations. How would we continue with our majestic appearance in our wonderful wizarding community if we allowed werewolves to run rampant in our midst? What would the other wizarding nations think? Honestly, do we want to set a precedent of implementing rights to such savage beasts when there are so many holes in its justification? It would inevitably be the downfall of the wizarding world, one in which our own society would be accused of starting it all. Do we want to shoulder the responsibility for such catastrophic consequences?”

Straightening her spine, she spoke in a brisk tone. “Trust. How can we trust them? How can we put our faith in them? Take, for example, Fenrir Greyback; the most viscous, relentless werewolf of our time. Look at how he won the confidence of some of his victims. They were unknowing bystanders minding their own business whose paths crossed with that heinous beast.” Dolores visibly shuddered at the thought of him.

“So I leave you with these thoughts. Take them into the utmost consideration when you convene to discuss this subject. The fate of your loved ones and the wizarding world rests in your hands,” Dolores stated as she ended with a flourish. She smiled serenely at the council assembled, then turned and strode confidently to her seat.

Shifting slightly in his seat, a prematurely greying man listened to the polite applause with an unreadable expression written on his careworn face. While his warm brown eyes bore little fondness for the toad-like woman before him, the man merely nodded differentially to his opposer before rising slowly to his feet. The applause quickly terminated, leaving the room drenched in a thick, expectant silence. Remus Lupin cleared his throat once and smiled briefly to the silent Council before beginning. His voice was quiet and hoarse, yet full of undeniable strength.

“While Dolores has brought up some seemingly logical points, I’m afraid that I have to disagree with her on many counts. As a long-time werewolf and former teacher, I am fully aware of the many problems and dangers posed by the terrible condition of Lycanthropy. However, I am proud to say that I have gone through my life without harming or infecting a single human being and I have managed to achieve what I feel is a successful life despite my condition.”

Remus paused for a moment as Umbridge sniffed audibly, gazing at his tattered robes with affected distain. However, the man simply drew himself up higher and raised his voice ever so slightly before continuing.

“As any werewolf can tell you, there are many effective methods of controlling Lycanthropy. There is, of course, the method of seclusion--locking oneself away during the full moon. But more importantly, the use of the Wolfsbane potion can completely eliminate the effects that Lycanthropy has on the mind. A werewolf under the influence of the Wolfsbane potion is no more dangerous than the most docile dog; we therefore pose no threat to humans on the full moon.

“Lycanthropy may be a terrible curse to live with, but I can assure you that it has no effect on the daily life of a werewolf. I know from experience that a werewolf is perfectly capable of holding a job; the only time their work will be affected is on the eve and morning of the full moon. But every employee is forced to take the occasional day off of work--why should this be any different for a werewolf?”

Remus paused momentarily as the onlookers murmured quietly among themselves. Some were nodding in understanding, looking partially convinced, while others wore hard, unreadable expressions on their faces.

“Dolores wisely brought up the issue of Fenrir Greyback and his highly negative effect on the wizarding community as a whole. Let me tell you this: Fenrir Greyback is a monster not because he is a werewolf, but because he is a man. It is the human side of him, the side that longs for vengeance, which causes him to commit his terrible acts against mankind.

“Is casting out and discriminating against werewolves going to solve this problem? No--it will simply cause many a man and woman to turn to a life in the colonies, a life dictated by Greyback himself. By continuing to segregate werewolves from the rest of the wizarding community, we are playing right into Greyback’s hands.

“We, as members of the human race, are currently locked in a deadly struggle that threatens to tear us apart. With the help of Greyback, Lord Voldemort”yes, I speak his name”is seeking to destroy the delicate balance of cooperation and equality that lies between us all. pure-bloods, half-bloods, Muggle-borns... and werewolves. Tell me this: how, how can we expect to return our society to ‘normal’, if our idea of this is a society of discrimination and unfounded fear?

“So, I ask you once more to grant us the certain unalienable rights you deny to no one--not to thieves, not to murderers, not to criminals who have done nothing to deserve them. I ask you to grant these rights to werewolves, whose only crime has been to receive a bite. And I ask you this not as a politician--not as a werewolf--but as a man.

“Thank you.”


A heavy silence fell across the dimly lit chamber as Remus walked back to his chair and sat down with dignity. His eyes were glittering with passion as he surveyed the people before him. The vast majority looked humbled, sobered. A few--most notably Umbridge herself--were glaring at him with expressions of utmost hatred written on their faces. Yet Remus did not care; he knew that the vast majority of the people had been won over. With the slightest trace of a smile visible on his lined face, he heard--without really listening--the head of the council recite the voting protocol necessary for the vote.

“Will all in favor of passing the bill please raise their hands?”

Remus watched with confidence as the room rustled to life; it took him but a moment to see that well over half of the people in the room had raised their hands. It was enough!

The room burst into applause as a wide grin split Remus’ face. Not deigning to look at his spluttering opposer, he rose to his feet and raised a hand in the air, thanking his audience. It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. As he smiled up at the council, an unexpected thought caused a burst of joy and pride to overtake him.

Sirius and James would be proud.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68710