The Prodigal Son by Vorona
Summary: Percy seeks reconciliation with his family. Won 2nd Place in the June 2007 Patronus One Shot Challenge by Vorona of Ravenclaw.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3101 Read: 1419 Published: 06/23/07 Updated: 06/25/07

1. The Prodigal Son by Vorona

The Prodigal Son by Vorona
Author's Notes:
Thanks to spottedcat and Gmarian for their wonderful feedback! And a big thank you to Colores for beta-reading this story. Any additional mistakes are mine.


The Prodigal Son

The ground was covered with bodies. Percy stared at the field of destruction in horror - so much life had been lost. Far in the distance, he could see the remnant of the battle taking place. At the top of the nearest hill, two figures danced with green and red light that never connected. Every once in awhile, stray beams of red would flash from the outskirts of the central battle onto the hill, but they, too, were evaded. Around the hill, shadowed in the cool evening, others were still fighting each other, seemingly oblivious to what was happening on the hill.

Percy knew he had come too late to do any real good. He wasn't an Auror, so he hadn't heard about the battle until now. He'd Apparated as soon as he'd heard. He was too late.

He looked to the area around the hill, anxious for a glimpse of red hair. They thought he'd abandoned them. They thought he'd chosen success at the Ministry over his own family. It didn't help that they'd always thought of him as pompous and aloof in the first place. Coming now, at what looked to be the final battle, would be salt in their wounds. Oh, so now that we have him, you think you can fire off a few spells and waltz back into our lives as if nothing happened? Well, it's too little, too late. That's what they'd say, but they didn't know. And he had to do something.

At least, in his first year of alienation from his family, he'd managed to warn Harry and the others of one of Umbridge's plans so they could prepare a little, even if he'd had to couch the message in the most condescending drivel he'd ever written. It was the last time he'd been able to do anything of the sort. He knew they hadn't been completely surprised by his departure, knew they had always wondered if he'd pick his career over his family. But, he would never have said that Harry was deranged or that Ron shouldn't be friends with Harry. He'd never have walked out on his family...

A Death Eater was running toward him, mask lost somehow in the fight. It was Avery from the Department of Mysteries. Percy froze for a moment, paralysed by the violence coming toward him. He closed his eyes, took a breath, and cast a Stunning Spell. It hit Avery just as he was raising his own wand, and the Death Eater fell to the ground. Percy took a deep breath, relieved that the action was over. He looked toward the battle in the distance. He'd have to get used to that if he was going to help out. Why was it so hard for him to fight in battles? The rest of his family seemed to take it all for granted.

They wouldn't understand his kind of courage, not until he had a chance to explain it, and he couldn't, not yet. His eyes made their way back to the duo battling it out on the hill. Harry. He couldn't even apologize to Harry for the condescension in his last letter to Ron. Not until Voldemort was vanquished.

They thought he was a coward, he knew that. But he himself knew that turning from them was the most courageous thing he'd ever done. Dumbledore had always demanded the hardest tasks.

Another flash from the sidelines alerted him to the fact that it had been coming from the same corner, and a shadow waited there, dark and sober. Snape. He'd tried talking to the man, but Snape had scoffed at his turmoil.

"At least you have a family you can return to," he'd said. "I have no one."

It was true. No one short of Dumbledore himself would be able to free Snape from his fate, no matter that all his curses were aimed at the taller, pale figure on the hill. Not even Percy's influence at the Ministry would quell the public outrage aimed at the former Hogwarts instructor. In any case, Snape had been unsympathetic to his plight. Having to pretend to agree with the Ministry's rubbish just didn't seem to be on the same level as killing the Headmaster. Percy understood that, but had hoped for some sympathy, nonetheless. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

"At least you don't have to cast any Unforgivables in order to avoid suspicion."

No, he hadn't. But Snape hadn't had to see the disappointment etched into his father's eyes or listen to the sobs of his mother as he left them behind.

He remembered the last day before the fight that had severed his relationship to his family. He had been working on his application for the Secretary post after the disaster with Crouch's son, when a loud bang from the next room caused his papers to go flying. In fury, he'd barged into Fred and George's room, demanding an answer.

In the middle of the room was a large pink elephant, and George was looking at it in shock.

"Is that Fred?" Percy asked.

George said nothing, but nodded.

"Do you know how to change him back?" Percy was alarmed. The twins had gone too far this time – what had happened to Fred?

George responded, "Well, I think so..."

He tried a couple of incantations but nothing seemed to work. George looked crestfallen.

"Have you tried Finite Incantatem?"

George's eyes grew hopeful. "By Merlin, no, I didn't think of that!" Sure enough, the spell had worked, and the elephant turned back into Fred. Percy felt a little glow at having been able to help.

"Now," he said, smiling, "do you mind keeping it down a little? I'm really nervous about my application."

The twins rolled their eyes. Percy knew they wouldn't, but he'd had to ask. "Never mind," he said flatly, and returned to his room.

He'd finished the application, detailing his skills and talents, mentioning that he'd be sure to be a loyal employee, one who could be trusted to serve the Ministry no matter what. It had been even better received than he'd expected. Fudge wanted to work with him personally! It was perfect for spying on the Ministry. He had been so happy...

But his family hadn't been. He still remembered his father's doubts.

"You can't seriously be thinking about this, Percy," his father had said. "It's far too suspicious. I've been working in the Ministry for years, and I've never been offered a position like this."

Well. That did prove a dilemma. How could he avoid passing information to Fudge, now that he'd said he would serve "no matter what"? But Dumbledore was counting on him...

"I would never tell anything to Fudge!" His eyes flashed with anger. "How dare you suggest that he only hired me for information on you? Don't you think I have any skills at all?" He allowed his voice to rise. If he never saw his family, he'd have nothing to report. "You think all that Muggle stuff is really important? Of course he wants someone more serious for this position. Someone professional."

Stunned silence had met his words. It was perhaps the only time he'd ever heard complete silence in the Burrow. Even Fred and George had stopped their antics to watch the display. Percy's father looked back at him, his face full of hurt and disappointment. Then, his mother came out from the kitchen, all dusted in flour.

"He didn't mean it, Arthur," she said. "He was just proud of the position and hadn't considered the ramifications of it." Then, she turned to Percy. "Tell your father you didn't mean it."

"I can't, Mother," he said, drawing ice into his voice to cut off the pain swelling up in his heart. "I meant every word."

He turned his back just as he began to see tears well in her eyes. He couldn't look at it. He had to go. Her sobs echoed in his ears, followed by Fred's voice. "Get out. And don't ever come back!"

He closed his eyes on the memory, and opened them to find himself back on the field, still too far from the battle to do any real good. It was still raging ahead of him, when from behind, he felt a sudden chill. He turned slowly and saw a cloud of black shapes fluttering in the wind. His chest tightened. Dementors. And he was the first one they'd reach.

Grasping his wand tightly, he turned to face them. He knew how to create a Patronus, in order to send messages to Dumbledore, but had never had to do it in the presence of Dementors. Well, time to try.

The Dementors were approaching and he forced himself to think of a happy memory. His first kiss. Getting his first promotion... These had always worked in the past, but they weren't working now. He looked up, back toward the battle, aware that he was wasting precious time. A flash of red hair stained his eyes. He turned back to the Dementors. No! You will not reach my family!

His family. Surely it wasn't all pain, now was it? He forced his mind to remember some of the warmth he'd felt growing up. Something… he had to think of something, something good…

He had just sat down to breakfast when an owl zoomed in. It was the summer before his seventh year, and it was sure to be the Hogwarts owl. Fred and George were playing around and Ron was still asleep upstairs. Ginny was helping herself to some eggs. The owl zoomed in and letters were distributed accordingly, with Ron's being left on the table.

Percy opened his and the first thing that popped out was the Head Boy badge. He'd been shocked. He had been trying very hard not to hope for it, sure that it would go to the Ravenclaw. He stared at it for a moment, saw it glowing golden, barely aware of the twins' laughter at him being "Big Head"... His mother's voice cut in, "Oh, Percy, Head Boy! I'm so proud of you!"

A great warmth settled in him. He was a part of the family. He was valued and loved. It wasn't just his mother's pride, either. It was Fred and George... Oh, they were infuriating, but they were his brothers. Their teasings were affectionate and never failed to bring colour into the world. He filled his spirit with that colour and raised his wand.

"Expecto Patronum!" he shouted in glee. A huge elephant erupted from his wand and trounced the nearest Dementor. His eagle Patronus had been replaced by an elephant! He couldn't help but laugh. He hoped Fred was okay in the battle. He managed to hold the Dementors off for awhile, but there were too many, and although they didn't attack him, he couldn't keep them from moving closer to the battle. He had to warn the others. Turning to his Patronus, he sent it to Snape, the only figure he could pick out besides Harry, whom he did not want to distract. The message was simple: Dementors coming!

He saw it meet with Snape in the shadows, and a general alarm went up. The alarm was followed by another Patronus and several more were shot off in quick succession, surrounding the battle field, while the elephant returned to help him ward off the ones beginning to attack him again. Voldemort seemed unaffected by it all, and Harry's Stunning Spell was deflected. A few minutes later, Voldemort fell to the ground, shrieking in pain, and the dark figure of Snape walked slowly up the hill, wand aimed at the self-titled Dark Lord. A second later, a spell from Harry rendered Voldemort immobile. The boy pointed his wand at the still figure and cast another spell. Percy couldn't tell what it was, but it caused Voldemort's body to decay rapidly and sink into the ground. A cheer went up in his mouth and he ran toward the fight. Voldemort was dead! He could explain everything to his family! Maybe they would understand...

****

"You turned your back on us! You made your mother cry. I think you owe us an explanation."

"You said I shouldn't be friends with Harry! That he was unstable and violent!"

Percy's father stood behind Ron, both of them with arms crossed over their chests, eyes hard. They stood at the entrance to the kitchen. An aroma of fresh bread wafted from behind them.

"Dumbledore -" Percy started.

"You said Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix were a 'dangerous lot' and just a bunch of petty criminals!"

At this, Fred and George entered, followed by Ginny. Before Percy could address Ron's accusation, Fred and George broke in.

"You always were a great git, caring more about your career than your family!"

"We should have known you'd turn out to be a traitor!"

Then, Ginny spoke up, her eyes flashing in anger. "How dare you come back here. You don't care about any of us!"

Percy looked at the five redheads glaring back at him. It had been a mistake to come back. They weren't giving him a chance to say anything in his defence. So much for family ties. Bill and Charlie came down, and stood silently. Now, all seven of them made a wall, a barricade to the kitchen.

"Fine. I see I'm not wanted. I'll go."

He turned and left the room, trying hard to ignore the burning in his eyes and the lump in his throat. He'd always thought, when it was all over, he could explain...

"Percy? Is that you?" Percy looked up into the eyes of his mother. "Is it really you?"

"Mother?"

She grabbed him in a smothering embrace, and he felt the tears break free against his will.

"Oh Percy, we've missed you so much. Does this mean you've given up all that rubbish about the Ministry? Have you really come home?"

"If - if you'll all have me. But -"

"Shh... Of course we'll have you. You're family!"

He heard the others begin to come, and tried to disengage. He wasn't going to wear out his welcome. He'd find some other way to stay in touch with his mother.

But he wasn't fast enough. He had just managed to release the hug, when they all entered.

"Are you still here?" asked Fred, loudly.

"Of course he's here!" came his mother's shrill voice. "He's family. Now, let's all discuss this as reasonable adults."

"Yes, Molly, but it seems to me an explanation is in order."

"Perhaps, but not tonight. He needs -"

"No, Mother," cut in Percy. "I want to explain. You have no idea why I walked away like that."

"So tell us. Why did you?" Ron's voice was heavy with distrust.

Percy took a deep breath, and began. "I'm not brave in the traditional sense. I'm not reckless and rash, plunging into danger without thinking." He paused. He wasn't really like them at all. Why had he thought they might understand? He was about to change his mind and storm out, when the scent of fresh bread caught his nose again. No. This was his home, too. It was time to stand up for it. "A Ministry position is what I was born for, no matter how boring it might seem to you. I was never meant to be battling it out on the front lines."

They weren't arguing. They were waiting for him to continue. The silence was almost more daunting than the arguments were, though, as it was paired with cold stares that looked back accusingly. He took another deep breath and plunged on. "Dumbledore came to me and proposed becoming an informant on the Ministry. I agreed. How could I not? I hadn't realized how much it would cost, but I knew that Dumbledore was counting on me and that it was necessary. I only hoped that after the war, I could tell you. And now I have."

"So, all that stuff in that letter to me... That was -"

"All lies."

"You couldn't have told us? Your own family?" His mother might have been accepting at first, but now she sounded hurt. Guilt churned in his gut, but he knew he hadn't had a choice.

"No, I couldn't. How could I? Unless I could convince you to act the way I was, in denouncing Harry and Dumbledore, it would look like I was sympathizing with you, and I would have lost my job!" And any chance to do something useful. "It was hard enough for me to make those vile statements about the Order; I couldn't have asked it of you. And I needed to protect you! Father, you were right in suspecting Fudge's intentions, but I couldn't feed him any information if we were estranged, now could I?"

"Why didn't you come back after learning the truth? After Fudge was voted out of office?"

"Then, I had to find out who in the Ministry was associated with Voldemort. I had to seem pompous and arrogant, just like them. And it worked. I was able to find out a lot. After all, even you thought I was more Slytherin than Gryffindor, and you all know me much better than they ever did."

His mother was shaking her head. "You hurt us, Percy. You didn't have to shut us out like that. We could have helped."

"No. I'm sorry I hurt you, but you couldn't have helped. You would have worried about me too much; it would have been obvious. But I was doing it because I wanted to protect you. I was hoping you'd understand, now that it's all over. I was hoping," he said, feeling vulnerable, "to come home."

"Well." His mother huffed. "I suppose. But don't you ever go off on your own like that again, do you hear me?" Her voice softened. "You belong here, at home, with family. How can we help you if we don't know what's going on?"

Time passed. Percy looked at the faces looking back at him, and he saw their expressions change as they incorporated this new information. Ginny and Ron still refused to meet his gaze, but the others gradually relaxed their posture. Finally, George spoke.

"Hey, Fred, you know what this means?"

"We get to torment the Big Head again!"

Percy smiled. Ginny and Ron would come 'round in time. And, if he ever needed to cast the Patronus Charm again, he knew which memory he'd use. He was home.

Finite.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68816