Less Than Angelic by Quick_Quote_Quill
Summary:

This story follows the life of Angelina Lestrange, a young witch from a dark family, as she struggles through her first year at Hogwarts. Having been tricked into picking Ravenclaw, she is desperate to avoid the label of Blood-Traitor. Still, she can’t help but notice that the views her family has taught her are not shared by all. As Angelina struggles internally, wizards and witches around Britain are taking sides on the same issues that plague her. Ready or not, Angelina will soon discover truths she never dreamed of and lies whose validity she never questioned before.


A story set in the era of Lord Voldemort's first ascent to power.


Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 39257 Read: 57408 Published: 06/27/07 Updated: 03/26/09

1. Chapter 1 by Quick_Quote_Quill

2. Chapter 2 by Quick_Quote_Quill

3. Chapter 3 by Quick_Quote_Quill

4. Chapter 4 by Quick_Quote_Quill

5. Chapter 5 by Quick_Quote_Quill

6. Chapter 6 by Quick_Quote_Quill

7. Chapter 7 by Quick_Quote_Quill

8. Chapter 8 by Quick_Quote_Quill

9. Chapter 9 by Quick_Quote_Quill

10. Chapter 10 by Quick_Quote_Quill

11. Chapter 11 by Quick_Quote_Quill

12. Chapter 12 by Quick_Quote_Quill

13. Chapter 13 by Quick_Quote_Quill

14. Chapter 14 by Quick_Quote_Quill

15. Chapter 15 by Quick_Quote_Quill

16. Chapter 16 by Quick_Quote_Quill

17. Chapter 17 by Quick_Quote_Quill

18. Chapter 18 by Quick_Quote_Quill

Chapter 1 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Trouble on the Train
Chapter One

Angelina Lestrange looked out the window at the crowded platform full of parents waving tearful good-byes to their children. Her older brother, Rodolphus, had been responsible for seeing that she made the train, but as soon as they had passed through the barrier, he had taken off to go swap Chocolate Frog cards with his friends. Wouldn’t he be surprised when he found his prized card, Alberic Grunnion, missing?

Angelina smirked to herself and pulled the card Rodolphus had spent the summer goggling at out of her pocket. She didn’t collect cards herself, and she wondered over the appeal as she stared down at the blank frame. She briefly thought about shredding the thing, but changed her mind, as it would be more practical to sell it. However, the card’s fate was deferred for a later time, as at that moment the compartment door slid open and distracted Angelina. Slipping the card back into her pocket, Angelina lifted her gaze to the scrawny boy who had just entered.

His sand-blond hair was slightly disheveled, as if a departing parent had recently ruffled it affectionately. He bore other signs of having just received a loving good-bye, among which the most obvious was a slight smudge on his cheek where his mother must have kissed him, leaving a trace of pink lipstick on his freckled face. Without greeting her, he slipped into the seat kitty-corner to Angelina and proceeded to stare at his feet.

The silence continued as the train departed the station. Even when the landscape had changed into rolling hills and farmland neither had said a word; in fact, the sandy-haired boy had not even looked up from his shoes. The only part of him Angelina could see was a mop of shaggy blond hair, clean black robes of medium quality, and the hand“his right“that was resting on his knee. She stared at the hand as if it would some how tell her about her mysterious companion, but all it showed was a long scar that vanished under his sleeve. Angelina briefly wondered how he had acquired such a nasty scar, but soon dismissed it as the result of playing outside.

Angelina tried not to fidget, but could not help nervously fingering her wand. She wanted to say something to the boy but could not quite think of what. “Are you a Mudblood?” just didn’t sound like the right thing to say, yet how else was she suppose to find out if he was one? And if she did not find out, how was she supposed to know if she should talk to him or not? And if she didn’t talk to him, how was she to find out if she should talk to him?

Oh, she simply loathed meeting new people! Angelina never knew quite what to say. She willed her mind to think of something witty with which to break the oppressive silence but the more she thought, the harder it became to think of anything, and the longer the silence stretched, the greater the imperative to say something brilliant when she did speak became.

Finally, after much internal debate, she spoke.

“Lestrange.”

The word came out a little strangled, but the boy obviously still heard her as he glanced up fearfully.

“Pardon?” he half-whispered in a shaky voice.

“Angelina Lestrange,” Angelina stated, her voice stronger this time, more confident. She could feel the bounds of shyness loosening, freeing her tongue.

The boy across the compartment, however, still looked utterly consumed by fear. He stared blankly back at Angelina as if he expected the words to be curses instead of her name.

“Angelina Lestrange,” she repeated again, then added, “Traditionally, you now offer your name.”

She felt a surge of doubt. Maybe she had done something wrong. Maybe that was why he was looking at her so oddly.

“Oh,” the boy gasped, blushing, his sandy hair falling into his face as he glanced downward. “Remus. Remus Lupin.”

At those simple words, Angelina felt a surge of hope. Lupin. How many letters bearing that surname had she removed from incoming owls?

“Is your father Romulus?” she questioned breathlessly. Oh it would be too easy if he turned out to be a Pureblood.

“No,” the boy, Remus, said slowly, looking at her questioningly.

Angelina could feel her heart dropping.

“He’s my uncle,” he finished, and Angelina’s heart leaped again. “Why?” Remus asked suspiciously, looking frightened again as if she was about to discover his deepest secret.

He sure was a fearful flobberworm.

“He and my mother worked together,” Angelina explained and the boy’s fear once again melted from his face. In fact he even smiled. Taking heart, Angelina continued boldly, “They were sort of friends. Maybe we can be too? I’m Lena, by the way. No one but my father calls me Angelina.”

“Yeah,” Remus said excitedly. “Uh, I don’t have a nickname.”

“That’s fine,” Angelina said laughing. Then an awful thought struck her. What if his parents weren’t Purebloods after all? What if one was a Muggle?

“Uh, what are your parent’s jobs?” Angelina asked politely, trying to sound friendly rather than accusing.

“Oh, they both work for the Ministry. Nothing interesting. Not like Uncle Romulus. Does your mum invent charms too?” Remus asked excitedly.

Angelina felt her last bit of uneasiness slip away. His parents were wizards.

“She was interested in experimental magic,” Angelina replied vaguely.

“So, has your mum invented anything interesting? Uncle Romulus invented a special cheering charm. Some say it’s better than any drug! The Ministry even had to restrict its uses. Can you believe that?”

“Hum,” Angelina murmured. She had, of course, read about the Loopy Lupin Charm, though she hardly thought it complex magic. Wanting to change the subject, Angelina intended to ask if Remus had read a book Angelina had found particularly interesting involving the composition of spells, but the compartment door flew open with a bang before she had the chance.

“I don’t care what you say,” a girl with blood red hair ranted as she practically charged into the compartment, “it still doesn’t . . .”

She trailed off as she noticed Angelina and Remus.

“Oh, sorry. We didn't know anyone was in here," she said in explanation. “You don’t mind, do you?”

Remus Lupin was once again overcome with shyness, and seemed to be sinking back into his corner, so Angelina decided it was going to be up to her to respond.

“Sure,” she assented, a little grudgingly but there wasn’t really another option, as the girl already seemed to have decided it was all right to come in and was moving to the seat next to Angelina.

“I’m Lily Evans,” the red haired girl introduced herself as she sat down. “This is Severus ” he used to be my best friend.”

Lily’s words drew attention to the boy standing slouched in the doorway. He didn’t make any sign of acknowledgement as he slid the door shut behind him and slinked, shoulders stooped, into the compartment. He skulked over to the remaining seat by the window directly in front of Angelina, much like a nocturnal animal that had been forced to come out and face the light of day. His pasty skin certainly looked like it could do with a bit of sun.

Lily, on the other hand, was nicely tanned with a few freckles sprinkled over the bridge of her nose. Her eyes sparkled charmingly as she looked enquiringly at Angelina and Remus. Angelina remembered the words she had earlier spoken to Remus, “Traditionally, you now offer your name.” But this girl seemed much too polite to say such a thing, and merely smiled to encourage them to talk.

“I’m Angelina Lestrange, and this is Remus Lupin.”

“Lupin!” The girl cried excitedly. “Are you related to Romulus Lupin of the Looney Lupin Charm? I’ve read all about him in Charming Charmers.”

With that, the two launched into a long discussion about Romulus Lupin, leaving Angelina and Severus sitting awkwardly in silence. Once again Angelina felt her throat closing and her tongue growing awkward in her mouth.

Angelina's piercing gaze traveled over her new companion. She tried to catch his eyes, to see what he was thinking, but he kept them oddly averted. All she was left with to judge him by was his general appearance, which was not favorable. She saw a dark-eyed, brooding face framed by black hair that was too thin to be grown as long as it was without looking ratty. Despite his decidedly unattractive face, there was a certain air about him like that of the stately impersonal air of a royal child ” he was obviously very taken with himself. Angelina would have been tempted to jinx that self-satisfied expression off his face if it weren’t for the capable way his hand seemed to hold his wand. She’d have to watch this one, she decided; his spindly frame was deceiving. She would bet he knew some curses just as nasty as his unkempt hair.

On the other side of the compartment an equally thorough inspection of Angelina was taking place through half-lidded eyes. She was definitely one of those rich Purebloods; her robes practically screamed custom-made. Behind that doll’s face lurked a piranha, and at the slightest hint of Muggle blood, her teeth would shred him to pieces. It was hard to believe the tiny little girl across from him was really capable of anything more serious than a Bat-Bogey Hex. She reminded him of a porcelain doll he’d once seen in a toy store: her curly black hair falling in ringlets around a porcelain white face, her bright red glazed lips in sharp contrast. It was only the cold grey eyes that levelly appraised him, taking in his ragged robes, which hinted at the truth of his mother’s warnings.

Most likely she was no stranger to the Dark Arts; Pureblood families made sure that their children were well acquainted with such things long before their time at Hogwarts. It was fed to them with their mothers’ milk. The children of Purebloods grew up with a wand practically attached to their hand. Of course, some families abided by the rules against underage magic, but the older families thought themselves above such plebian restraints. By the time the Purebloods entered Hogwarts, their magical knowledge was way above that of most of the Muggle-borns, causing unfair advantages, according to some. Currently, the Wizengamot was in the middle of a trial to decide if regulations needed to be tightened. But in the mean time, Severus wasn’t going to fall prey to the Purebloods. He’d studied long and hard and could take whatever any of them threw at him; just let them try. Still, he thought, it wouldn’t hurt to try to be on their side; if he played his cards right, they might not ever know about his father.

"Snape," the boy said finally.

"Lestrange."

There was a strained silence between the two of them as Lily and Remus happily chattered on about the miracles of Florean Fortescue’s ice cream; again Angelina tried to catch Severus’ eyes. Again they shifted away. He was good. Angelina could not remember her father mentioning the surname “Snape” as an acceptable wizarding name. The boy’s robes were certainly second-hand, but that really didn’t signify anything. Many Pureblood wizards lived in genteel poverty because they were too proud to degrade themselves by working. As for his surname, Angelina hadn’t been paying much attention to her father. She now wished she had.

He and Lily Evans seemed to be friends, which hinted at both being from Wizarding families as few Mudbloods already had magic friend before Hogwarts. They might have met on the train, she supposed although, that seemed doubtful judging by the girl’s earlier statement that he was her former best friend. It was hardly likely they had become best friends and then estranged all in the course of an hour.

“So what house do you want to be in?” Angelina finally voiced. If the boy didn’t say Slytherin, she could always shun him for the rest of the ride.

“Slytherin,” the boy responded without raising his eyes from the floor.

“Oh, so you have family that was in Slytherin?” she asked, oh-so-causally.

“Yeah,” the boy replied.

"Me too,” Angelina gushed in relief. Visibly relaxing, Angelina smiled at the boy.

“You want to be in Slytherin?” Lily asked, emerging from her conversation with Remus to glance curiously as Angelina.

“Yes, of course,” Angelina said dismissively. “You don’t?”

“Uh,” Lily said looking confused, “I’m not sure. What about you Remus? Do you want to be in Slytherin?”

The boy’s face looked cloudy again. “I’ll probably be sorted there,” he grumbled glumly.

“Well, I definitely want to be,” Severus asserted.

“We know that,” Lily bit out. Her anger over whatever Severus had done was still apparent.

The whole compartment fell into a tense silence. Angelina and Lupin exchanged nervous glances while Lily glared daggers at Severus. The greasy-haired boy averted his gaze to stare down at Angelina’s feet, where a small grey kitten was emerging from under the seat.

“What's your kitten’s name?" Severus asked to break the silence, pointing at the cat that was now rubbing itself affectionately against the girl’s leg.

"Chloe, but she's not a kitten. I've had her as long as I can remember."

"Oh, how old are you?"

"I'm eleven. My birthday's March 22nd."

“I was also born in March!” Remus exclaimed excitedly.

"Mine’s January 9th. I'll be turning twelve," Severus boasted.

"My brother's in fifth year," Angelina said smugly.

"Slytherin?" Lily asked.

“What else? Everyone in my family who’s gone to Hogwarts has always been in Slytherin. Hasn’t yours?”

“No,” Lily admitted quietly. “I’m a Muggle-born.”

“Oh,” Angelina responded taken aback. “What about you?” she questioned, turning her gaze to Severus.

“My mum was Slytherin, but my father didn’t go to Hogwarts.”

“Oh, yes. My oldest brother, Rabastan, he goes to Durmstrang. Mother wanted to send me to Beauxbatons but…” here Angelina trailed off. "Well, I moved back to England to live with my father.”

“Where did you live before?” Remus asked, interested.

“My mother and I lived in Paris."

"Why?" Severus asked, curious.

"France is nicer than England," Angelina said haughtily.

"Why's it nicer?" Lily questioned, nettled. She had noted the way Angelina’s eyes had become dismissive when she had mentioned she was a Muggle-born. She had a feeling Severus had not been all together truthful when he’d said it did not matter if you were Muggle-born.

"It's much prettier and not nearly as dreary" Angelina retaliated, as if this was something Lily was personally responsible for.

"How do you know, if you live in France?" Lily fired back, not liking the tiny black-hair girl at all.

"I visit my father and brothers on holidays”they live here. Now I’m living with them. Where are you from Remus?" Angelina asked, trying to dismiss the subject.

Lily ignored her and asked, "Won't your mum get lonely in boring old Paris all by herself?"

"No, she's dead," Angelina coldly revealed.

The three other occupants of the compartment looked distinctly uncomfortable, but the awkward moment was cut short when the door slid open. Angelina’s cat jumped up and slipped out of the compartment without a backward glance just as a young witch wearing too much makeup peeked into the compartment.

"Snacks?"

Remus had reached into his robes and pulled out a sandwich. He had handed one half to Lily.

Angelina rose to leave. Noticing that Severus remained in his seat, she whispered conspiratorially, “Come on. I’ll nick us something.”

The sallow faced boy grinned in reply, and rose to follow her out to the cart. Unfortunately, as they neared the food, Severus bumped into someone exiting one of the other compartments.

"Sorry!" the two boys echoed.

However, as they stood, they looked at each other and recognition dawned.

“You!” Snape cried.

“James Potter at your service,” the boy said, giving a comical bow and winking at Angelina. “I’m a brave and gallant Gryffindor-to-be. Rescuing fair maidens such as yourself from the likes of old Snivellus here. Why don’t you come with me and leave Snivellus behind? The git wants to be in Slytherin.”

“Better than Gryffindor, where dwells the dead of head. Only an imbecile follows his heart instead of his brain,” Angelina fired back.

But before James Potter could defend his intelligence and intended house, another boy stepped out from the compartment behind him.

“I found the trick galleon, James! It’ll turn into a frog in her hand. Won’t that give . . .” the boy trailed off as he turned around from shutting the sliding door and saw Angelina.

Upon the appearance of this boy, Angelina had stepped out from behind Severus, her wand pointed at the new arrival.

"How's my little Angel doing?” the boy asked her, smiling casually as he too pulled out his wand. “It's been so long I thought I’d scared you away."

"You, Black? Scare me? You look like a puppy, and puppies just yap."

Severus smiled. It was true; the boy in front of them was tall with huge feet that he probably tripped on, just like a gangly puppy. The whole image was made almost uncanny by the shaggy black hair that fell messily into his eyes.

“Well, we’ll see if my yaps can produce a bite. I’ve been practicing for this all summer. I wanted it to be perfect for you,” the boy purred.

For a second the two just stood staring at each other. Black ended the checkmate by firing first. With a look of glee, Angelina retaliated.

For the moment, Severus and James were ignored as spells were fired rapidly through the air. The corridor became so thick with a cloudy grey fog that all Severus could make out was the occasional flash of blue and white light. Then the corridor finally cleared of smoke several minutes later and the other two other children were revealed. Severus expected there to be a few deformities, the most common side effects of amateur dueling, but what he got was considerably more impressive. Both of their appearances had changed, but not with the normal bout of polka dots or wobbling limbs; instead they had used Transfiguration to change one another. It was only partial Transfiguration, but that was impressive enough. Angelina was now sporting a pair of angel wings and halo, while Black appeared with a wagging tail and an engorged tongue lolling out of his mouth.

Angelina inspected herself with a look of feigned disappoint. “You’ve been practicing that all summer? It’s hardly inventive; you’ve been using that pun so long now it’s getting quite old. But I suppose the technique is better. I believe the halo is passable this time; what do you think Severus? I can’t see it.”

“Well, it would be adequate for a Mudblood.”

The boy flushed, and opened his mouth to retaliate, but whatever clever remark he had on his tongue was never discovered, as all he let out were two fierce barks.

Angelina smirked. “That was the brilliance of my trick. I actually made good use of my summer. Don’t know what you were doing.”

And with that, since the food cart had long since gone, Angelina turned sharply on her heel and headed back to her compartment, Severus following behind and trying not to grin
Chapter 2 by Quick_Quote_Quill
The Houses of Hogwarts
Chapter Two

Angelina looked on, not at all amused that her fate was going to rest in the hands of a battered hat. At least she no longer had a halo and pair of wings. With Severus’ help Angelina had been restored to her former state, although his assistance had cost Severus dearly as Lily was no longer talking to him. She stood a good ways off, next to the boy from the train. Angelina felt slightly bad for being part of the reason the two were not talking ” but not that bad

He was better off with out her anyway, Angelina reminded herself turning her attention away from Mudblood. Instead, Angelina watched as a blond girl, her hair in pigtails, sat down on the stool where a tall, stern-looking witch placed the hat on her head.

"Hufflepuff," she quietly predicted to Severus. And sure enough she was right.

"Ravenclaw," Severus whispered his guess as the next student approached the hat. The student in question was sorted into Hufflepuff.

Their game continued on, with Angelina accurately predicting an astonishingly percentage of placements correctly, while Severus soon gave up even trying.

"Black, Sirius."

There was a ripple of laughter from the older students as Black approached the hat. It looked as if he had been slightly less successful at finding the counter spells than Angelina; he was still sporting a tail and Angelina would bet he was still barking.

She couldn’t help smirk as she leaned over to whisper her prediction to Severus.

"What with the pitiful stunt he pulled today, he’ll end up in Hufflepuff," Angelina said with an air of hope.

“But he’s a Pureblood, isn’t he? I mean…he seemed upset by my comment…” Severus let the question hang in the air. With his tailored robes and knowledge of magic, the Black boy had seemed to be a Pureblood.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t heard of the Black family,” she stated, giving him a questioning look. It was a piercing gaze that made Severus feel as if she were trying to prod into his mind. He averted his eyes and turned toward the sorting rather than answer. With a shrug Angelina also returned her attention to the hat, which seemed to be having a hard time with Black. Eventually the hat shouted, “GRYFFINDOR!”

“Well, at least we won’t have to deal with him in Slytherin.”

It was not long until the redhead girl’s name was called. Angelina made no prediction as the girl walked forward on trembling legs and McGonagall slipped the hat on her head.

“GRYFFINDOR!” The hat announced a second later.

A tiny groan escaped from the boy next to her, drawing Angelina’s attention back to Severus. Angelina saw a flash of something close to pain on Severus’ face before it resorted back to its normal scowl.

“Well, at least she doesn’t seem to like her fellow housemate very much,” Angelina remarked, trying to comfort Severus, as she watched Lily Evan’s turn her back on Black.

He stayed silent. Angelina shrugged and turned her attention to the sorting. She was hardly going to worry about a Mudblood.

The sorting continued until the tall, stern witch called Angelina’s name.

"Lestrange, Angelina."

“See you at our table,” she whispered back to Severus.

Angelina found her legs shaking slightly as she made her way towards the ratty hat. She tried telling herself that she had nothing to worry about; she was a Slytherin. Yes, that’s right. Surely the hat’ll see that. Her stomach did one last flip-flop before she reached the stool and the hat was placed gently on her head.

Her forced calm was broken when, as the hat slipped over her head, a little voice spoke inside her ear:

"Interesting. Let's see…You seem to be quite the industrious student; you’re clearly not afraid of some good hard work. Yes. Yes. And you obviously try to be loyal. Loyalty in your family is important is it not? Yes. Yes. Loyal and hard-working. Could it be Hufflepuff?

"No, no, no, most unsuitable. They wear their hearts on their sleeves, those Hufflepuffs. You don't share your heart with people, do you?

"Don't like sharing your head either?

"But, I see, you don’t mind poking about yourself. That is a most unusual talent. Use it for spying do you? Salazar would approve, and Rowena . . .

"What’s that? Slytherin, eh? That’s where ‘our family’ goes, does it? But your Great Uncle Andrew was in Gryffindor; did you know? Did very well. Gryffindor could be where you truly shine. Think of the power you could achieve!

“You don’t care about the power? Is that what I just heard? You don’t care if Gryffindor would give you all the power of Merlin, you’d prefer Slytherin!

“Well, my dear, you’re going to have to excuse me, but that does not seem a very Slytherin thing to say. However, Gryffindor would have approved, and with your habit of exploring places best left alone…Who knows, it might be wear you belong. After all, that’s where I decided to put Black.

“You’re telling me you’re as smart and talented as any Slytherin? You say you’ve got enough brains for the whole house?

“And you’re right, my dear. You are skilled, and proud of it. Yes, it takes a good deal of intelligence, as well as a little pride, to be so confident of one’s own cleverness. But my dear, you weren’t listening to my song. Those that prize wit and learning belong in RAVENCLAW!"

And before Angelina could tell the hat that she wanted Slytherin, that she was a Slytherin, the hat was pulled off.

Angelina dumbly stepped down and blindly stumbled over to take a seat at the Ravenclaw table. The boy next to her introduced himself as Jonathan Clearwater, but Angelina was too stunned to pay much attention. She had been placed in Ravenclaw.

She was dimly aware of her surroundings, somewhere off in the background she heard the witch in charge of the sorting call, “Longbottom, Frank.”

She felt physically sick; it was as if someone had punched her in the gut. She was a Blood-Traitor. Scum. Filth.

“You must be new to all this. Parents were Muggles, were they?” Jonathan Clearwater asked, but Angelina wasn’t even paying attention. Otherwise she would have cursed him for suggesting that she, Angelina Lestrange, could be a Mudblood. “You look a bit stunned. It’s okay, you’ll get use to it soon enough. The first month’s a bit hard…homesick…I missed my parents something dreadful…if you need anything…wouldn’t mind if you need someone older to talk to…"

The boy next to Angelina kept up a steady flow of advice as Angelina stared blankly out across the sea of students to the Slytherin table. That was where she should be sitting. Her attention was brought back to the sorting when the stern, tall witch dressed in green robes called the name of Angelina’s companion from the train.

"Snape, Severus."

Severus slinked up, his greasy hair falling in a curtain around his face. Seriously, someone needed to give that boy a hair cut, Angelina couldn’t help herself from thinking somewhat snobbishly. In a matter of moments he was taking a seat at Slytherin. She watched as the Slytherin table welcomed him. She could see her brother, Rodolphus, clapping along with the rest of the house. She tried to catch his eye, but Rodolphus wouldn’t even look at her. She decided she'd have a talk with that incompetent hat after dinner.

She sighed and wished the Headmaster would hurry up and get to the point. Leaning over, she whispered to Clearwater, “You don’t have a quill by any chance, do you?”

“Oh, very smart; taking a few notes on Professor Dumbledore, are you? Very great man …Order of Merlin . . . defeated Grindelwald…extensive research on dragons’ blood…I understand he has a particular fondness for sherbet lemons…favorite color…”

Angelina had stopped paying attention as soon as he had produced a quill. As the food appeared, Angelina, who had no appetite, set to work on the speech she would give to the Sorting Hat. Using a napkin, she began to scribble down points of argument.

“We’re not going to be tested on this are we?” one girl asked nervously beside her.

“Well, not officially,” another first year girl responded. “But they do dock points if you don’t follow all the rules. I was reading…”

Angelina distanced herself from the people around her. There was no point in interacting with them anyway. She was sure the Sorting Hat would reevaluate its decision once it heard her very persuasive points. She had simply been unprepared before; it had caught her off guard. This time she would be ready. She ran through the list of arguments again in her mind.

“Come on,” Clearwater leaned over. “I’ll show you to your room.”

“Actually, I want to talk to Professor Dumbledore about…his preference in socks. Wool or cotton? It really is a very big difference. I myself enjoy cotton.”

“Quite right, quite right. Hogwarts is a place of learning. Don’t fritter away your time, jump right in. I’ll see you back in the common room. Do hurry; it’ll be after hours soon. Then they start to deduct points.”

After reassuring Clearwater that she would return on time, Angelina made her way up to the staff table with no intention of asking Dumbledore anything, especially about his sock preference. No one noticed her, as most of the professors had left the Great Hall or were in the process if doing so. Only the Headmaster and a massive hairy man remained, and the two of them were in a deep discussion. Silently she slipped up to the staff table and placed the hat on her head.

"Hello again,” it said. “Yes I should have figured you'd be back. You have a stubborn streak that would make Gryffindor proud."

I don't want to make Gryffindor proud, I want to make Slytherin proud, Angelina fumed.

"I still think that you will do well in Ravenclaw, and I'll stand by that."

She wasted a few more minutes trying to convince the hat that she belonged in Slytherin, but it wouldn't budge. It even went so far as to suggest that maybe it had been wrong to pick Ravenclaw, and that it should have placed her in Hufflepuff, or even worse, Gryffindor.

She ripped the hat off, before it did something so foolish, and came face to face with the Headmaster.

"If you're done with the hat, Miss Lestrange, could I have it back?" Professor Dumbledore questioned mildly.

"Yes," she snapped, in a more biting tone than she had intended to use to address the Headmaster.

"Sometimes the fruit others eat is not as sweet as we have been told," said the Headmaster, his eyes twinkling behind half-moon spectacles.

What was he going on about? Maybe he was a bit touched in the head. While Angelina mused about the sanity of the Headmaster, he left. The Great Hall was deserted, and Angelina had no idea where the Ravenclaw common room was.
Chapter 3 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Sorting Sorrows
Chapter Three

Angelina made her way up the sweeping staircase, hoping to bump into an older student that could point her in the direction of her common room. But the halls were empty, not even a ghost in sight.

As she walked timidly down the looming hallways, whispers seemed to follow her. But every time she stopped and looked over her shoulder the sound ceased, and only a deserted corridor lay behind her. Turning left, she walked down a gloomy hall. Whispering ‘lumos,’ Angelina held her wand a bit higher so that the light from its tip illuminated the hall, lighting the walls and the whispering portraits hanging on them.

“Hello,” Angelina greeted a sad looking lady in a delicate oval frame. “I’m Angelina Lestrange. I was wondering if“”

At that a voice called from behind her, “Lestrange, you say? I was a friend of your family back in my day ” a good family.”

Angelina turned around to see a royal-looking man in a dark velvet cloak hanging in a heavy gilded gold frame.

Angelina smiled. “You know my family?”

“Certainly; I keep a close eye on Rodolphus. A fine Slytherin he’s becoming. He’ll make your family proud. So I suppose you want to know the way back to your dungeon? Already sneaking around. Most first years are more timid, but I suppose it’s the Slytherin in you.”

Angelina’s smile became strained. “Actually, I’m in Ravenclaw. Do“”

“RAVENCLAW! You shame your family! Do you know how many generations of Lestranges have been Slytherins? Do you care nothing for your illustrious heritage? I will be informing your Great-Great-Grandfather, Rudolph Lestrange, about this foul slandering of your family’s noble name. Over on the fifth corridor he is.” With that he swept off, pushing two gossiping old women out of his way as he strode through their frame.

“Wait! Can’t you at least point me in the right direction?” She called pleadingly to after him as one of the portraits gave a small shriek after being pushed.

“Be gone, Blood-Traitor!” Came the cold retort.

The words pierced Angelina’s heart and she could feel the sting of tears behind her eyes. She blinked rapidly, trying to ward off the tears.

“Please,” she cried, somewhat hysterically. “Please, I need help finding the Ravenclaw common room.” None of the portraits spoke. “Please, will some one help me?”

Suddenly a crack sounded from behind her, and Angelina spun on her heels, lifting her wand defensively.

“Miss, is calling FuFu for help. FuFu was just finishing cleaning the classroom down the hall when Miss called. FuFu would be honored to help Miss,” said the voice of a tiny house-elf.

Angelina blinked slowly down at the house-elf standing before her. The elf’s large eyes reminded her of the house-elves at home. Suddenly, she found herself wishing very much to be back home with Twinkle, her personal house-elf. A lone tear trickled down her cheek, as she angrily brushed it away with the sleeve of her new robes.

“Oh, what is it Miss? FuFu was not wishing to upset Miss. Now, now, Miss mustn’t cry. Is Miss wishing to come down to the kitchens? FuFu is making nice warm tea for Miss and Miss is telling FuFu what is wrong.”

“I don’t want to go to the kitchens. I just need to find my common room and I have no idea where it is,” Angelina moaned in distress.

“Oh, now Miss mustn’t worry. FuFu is knowing where all the common rooms are. She is cleaning them. Now, in which house is Miss?”

“Ravenclaw.” The mere word caused Angelina’s heart to ache.

“Now, now, Miss must not cry. Miss is not to worry. FuFu is helping.” And FuFu set off with a waddle. “Come, Miss; this way.”

Angelina hurried to keep up. Halfway past the library, the sound of footsteps could be heard down the corridor. Panic instantly engulfed Angelina. She was going to be caught out of bed her first night! Frozen in fear, Angelina stared, her eyes transfixed down the hall.

A girl wearing a long white night gown with bunny slippers peeking out from under the hem came shuffling into view, accompanied by a small grey cat.

“Chloe!” Angelina cried in relief, hurrying down the hall.

“Oh there you are! I was so worried. I was afraid you’d never find the common room, so, I decided to come and find you. The other girls wouldn’t come; they said we’d get expelled if we were caught,” the girl whispered quietly.

Angelina stared dumbly at the girl. Did she know her? Surely not. She was rather plain, with loose, wavy blond hair and a rather unremarkable heart-shaped face. Still, she reminded Angelina of someone; she just couldn’t place it. Surely she didn’t know anyone who would be sorted into Ravenclaw.

The girl stared back at Angelina with large doe-like eyes. “We can talk more when we get back,” she said, “but we shouldn’t make much noise. I heard the caretaker is very unpleasant.”

Angelina nodded dumbly. Just then the house-elf pulled lightly on Angelina’s robes, reminding her of the elf’s presence. “FuFu is going now that Miss is safe. If ever Miss needs FuFu, all she is to do is call.”

“Ah, thanks FuFu,” Angelina said in a hushed voice, but the elf was already gone.

The two girls started down the corridor, silently throwing furtive glances over their shoulders at every creak of the castle as it settled further into its foundation, hoping they wouldn’t be caught out of bed their first night at Hogwarts.

“I only hope the question’s not too hard,” the girl whispered as they climbed up a flight of spiraled stairs. At last they arrived outside of a door; however, it had no handle or keyhole, just a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle.

Angelina wondered briefly if the blonde girl had really brought them to the correct entrance, but as Angelina wondered about the sense of her companion the other girl reached up and gave the door a timid knock.

“What must always be considered when composing a spell?” A disembodies voice questioned.

“Uh?” the girl glanced nervously at Angelina. “I haven’t a clue, have you?”

But Angelina was already rattling off the answer.

“Very nicely put.” Came the compliment as the door swung open.

Once in the safety of their common room, the girl turned to Angelina.

"That was brilliant! I'm Emma Hope," the girl told her, ignoring Angelina's s reserved manners and giving a beaming smile.

Angelina wished for the second time that day that she had been paying attention to the list of surnames that were acceptable. She had been so sure she would be sorted into Slytherin at the time that it hadn't seemed to matter. However, Emma Hope seemed easy enough to figure out. For, Angelina thought snobbishly, what self respecting Pureblood family would go by the surname of ‘Hope’? Or allow any member to wear such ridiculous slippers.

It was clear that Emma Hope was a Mudblood.

Who did not know the first thing about spell composition.

"Lestrange."

"Oh, my father is friends with a family called Lestrange," Emma said, as the two girls made their way up the staircase to their dormitory.

"I doubt it’s the same one. My family doesn’t talk to Muggles. We haven’t consorted with them for thousands of years. Our name goes back, uncontaminated, all the way to the Gold Book."

"Oh."

Entering the room, only one light remained on; the rest of the girls had gone to bed.

"It's quite late; I'm going to bed," Angelina said primly. With that she started to change for bed, but Emma continued, oblivious.

"I'm so excited about tomorrow; I can't sleep. Do you think you will?"

"I think I’ll manage if I get some peace and quiet."

The girl didn’t take the hint.

"But aren't you excited about tomorrow? It's the first day of lessons. Of course, I'm not as nervous as earlier, when we were being sorted. I thought I might get Hufflepuff, which isn't too bad, but I never imagined I'd get into Ravenclaw."

"Why not?" Angelina asked as she climbed into bed, curious despite herself. She had only ever met people that knew they were going to be Slytherins.

"I didn't think I'd be smart enough. Ravenclaw’s the best house."

"What are you talking about? Slytherin is the best house. It's where all the best wizards come from."

"But aren't you happy to be in Ravenclaw?"

"No, the Cruciatus Curse is better than this!" Angelina snapped before jerking the curtains closed around her bed.
Chapter 4 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Fainting Fits
Chapter Four

Angelina stretched her stiff legs as she walked down the hill to Herbology. The breath of fresh air was refreshing after a stuffy and exceedingly dull History of Magic class. Most of her classmates were talking about how informative History of Magic had been and how they were looking forward to more.

Angelina rolled her eyes at their absurdity. Emma was more verbal about her disagreement.

"That was supposed to be interesting,” she whispered in shock and outrage to Angelina as they approached the greenhouses. “I thought we’d be learning how to actually do magic, not just hear about it. That was just like school in the Muggle world, but instead of people there were goblins. It put me to sleep . . . Of course I was up all night, I was so nervous.”

It looked like tonight would be another long night, as they had Astronomy at midnight.

“Do you think Professor Binns noticed?” Emma moaned nervously. “Oh, no. I knew I couldn’t be in Ravenclaw!”

“I’m sure you blended in just fine with the other house,” Angelina consoled, as she walked into the greenhouse. A second later her nose started to itch, her eyes were tearing, and her throat felt like she had swallowed itching powder. There was a rushing noise in her ears and the greenhouse looked like it was falling away. Everything went black.

Angelina awoke in the hospital wing.

"Oh, good. You're awake." The nurse smiled.

"I fell asleep?" Angelina question, horrified she had been caught napping the first day of school.

"No, no, my dear. You fainted.”

"I fainted!" Angelina croaked in a strangled voice, mortified.

"An allergy attack. A very strong one from the looks of it."

Well that was a little better. Not much, but better.

"Why?" Angelina asked, sitting up in bed.

"I'm still running some tests, but from what I’ve gathered, you have a high level of poison in your blood stream. It’s most unusual. I have been trying to test what you absorbed, but I’m having a hard time identifying the mixture. I can’t be sure, mind you, but right now it would seem you have absorbed several poisons.”

“What?” Angelina cried somewhat hysterically. “Are you saying I’ve been poisoned?”

“No. I’m saying it appears that your blood has been contaminated by a variety of different poisons,” The nurse countered in a tone that suggested she thought Angelina was being a slight hypochondriac. “Right now I am hypothesizing the poison is from the plants in the greenhouse. Please dear, do calm down. It’s a bit unusual, but nothing to worry about.”

“Why would the poison be in my blood if I wasn’t poisoned?” Angelina challenged skeptically, trying to keep the panic out of her voice and not all together succeeding

“I’m running the tests as we speak, although I’d say it’s some type of allergic reaction. Quite routine “ I’ll have an antidote by this evening. Now can I have a look at your wand?”

“Why?” Angelina asked suspiciously, shooting the nurse a piercing look as if x-raying for alternative motives.

“The wand tells a lot about its wizard,” was the cryptic response, as the nurse took Angelina’s wand from grudging hands. “Hmmm. Weeping willow, no?”

“Yeah, I think…”

“Unusual. It’s from the heart of the tree. Otherwise it would be too whippy. Still it’s got a nice swish to it. My wand happens to be willow too, though not a weeping willow. You must have gotten it abroad.”

“Yeah,” Angelina said vaguely.

“Do you remember what’s inside?”

“Unicorn hair, and three tears of a phoenix.”

“Not the usual ingredients.”

“My mother’s family had their own wand maker.”

“Okay, well that’s it for now. I'll not be sure what the problem is until this evening, but if you wish to come up then, I should be able to tell you. Now, if you rush you might be able to pick up a bite before your next class starts."

That night, Angelina picked suspiciously at her dinner while throwing distrustful glances around her table. The nurse had said she hadn’t been poisoned, but Angelina wasn’t risking it. Scraping back her seat, she headed off towards the hospital wing, Emma close on her heels. Emma seemed to have come up with the idea that Angelina should be closely monitored until the mediwitch found a cure.

“Hello, Madam Pomfrey,” Emma greeted as they entered the hospital wing.

"Oh, hello dear. You came back with Miss Lestrange I see. It’s very sweet of you to be so concerned," Madam Pomfrey stated, looking up from something on her desk. “But everything is perfectly fine with your friend.”

Friend? Since when was Hope her friend? Angelina panicked. If Father hears I've been associating with Mudbloods . . . I'll be no better than that blood-traitor Sirius Black.

"Well, Miss Lestrange, there is nothing to worry about. I talked to Professor Slughorn and he prescribed a simple tonic that should take care of the problem. The house elves will be more than willing to put it in your pumpkin juice every day at breakfast. Any questions, Miss Lestrange?"

“No.”

"It looks like you’re set then."

"Thank you."

"You’re welcome. See you later, girls."

Emma and Angelina went to the library to start on their History of Magic essays, but soon had to stop, as it was time for Astronomy.

The night was unseasonably cold for the beginning of September, and the winds were blowing with a vengeance on the small group standing on top of Astronomy Tower. Even with the warming charms she had cast, by the end of the class Angelina was freezing.

“What is the importance of knowing the moon’s cycle? Mr. Lupin, could you please answer this question?”

Angelina had noticed right from the start that the Astronomy professor seemed to harbor an unfounded loathing for the quiet, sandy haired Gryffindor from the train, and had picked on him regularly since the start of class. She had even taken ten points from Gryffindor when he hadn’t known the answer to a question.

“It’s important in the picking of plants and the brewing of potions. If you stew the potion of Dreamless Sleep when there is a new moon, it turns into the Draught of Living Death,” replied Lupin timidly.

“There is another reason, is there not, for monitoring the moon closely, Mr. Lupin?” Professor Shady continued. “For werewolves it is particularly important to watch the moon, so that they can take special precautions. It would be dreadful if they made a mistake in their calculations of when the moon rose and were therefore loose at the wrong time, and bit someone. Isn’t that right, Mr Lupin?”

“Yes, Professor.”

“Good. For the next month I expect a complete chart of all the moon’s fazes. You are to sketch the moon and its position relative to the earth. Please be consistent with the time you choose to document the moon, or your chart will be incorrect. There is a whole chapter in your book about the process. Read this by next class. It is important that you follow the procedure outlined in the book or you are likely to fail the assignment. There will be no allowances made just because you are first years. Incompetence should never be rewarded. I hope I make myself clear. Class dismissed.”

Hurrying down the steps Angelina bumped into Black.

"Be careful, Angel, we don't want your delicate self fainting," Black laughed and Angelina was pleased to hear a bit of the barking charm was still working.

"It was an allergy attack," Emma snapped, much to Angelina and Black's surprise.

"Oh? And what's your name? I'm Sirius Black," he greeted, throwing a charming smile at Emma.

"Emma Hope."

"Nice to meet you, Emma."

"It's Hope to you, Black," she spit out in a biting tone that would have made a Slytherin proud.

"Watch your mouth, Hope the Dope or I’ll clean it out with soap."

"Watch your nicknames, Black. I'd say your friend looks like a four eyed alien," Angelina retorted scathingly, directing the comment at the scrawny boy with glasses standing beside Black.

"Oh, look I forgot my manners," Black exclaimed.

"You never had any manners to forget," Angelina sniped.

Black ignored her and continued, “Angelina dear, this is James Potter. James, this is my little Angel. I believe you met each other yesterday in the hallway, but I’m not sure we had time for a proper introduction."

Remembering the state of their last meeting, Angelina drew her wand. Emma quickly followed suit.

Before any curses could fly, Professor Shady came down the stairs. “Five points from Gryffindor. Magic is not allowed in the hallways.”

At that James Potter opened his mouth to point out that he and Black did not have their wands out, but was cut off by the Professor.

“Hurry along boys before I give you detention.” Potter and Black left in a hurry. When they had rounded the corner the Professor turned to face the girls. “Miss Lestrange, I was a friend of your mother’s. She was a brilliant woman; I hope I can expect the same of you. Even if you are in Ravenclaw.” She smiled at Angelina before sweeping off down the hall in a flutter of blue robes.

Angelina and Emma turned on their heels and headed back to their common room. As they passed the library Emma finally spoke, and to Angelina’s relief it wasn’t about her mother.

"So are you going to tell me why I should hate Black?"

"I don't know. You seemed to decide that for yourself."

"Because it’s obvious that you hate Black, and as your friend I should too. I want to know why."

"It's none of your business."

"Yes it is."

"Look I never asked you to get involved."

"But I'm your friend, you don't have to ask."

Angelina didn't know what to think. But the brush with the Astronomy professor had reminded Angelina very forcefully of who, and what, she was. She was a Pureblood witch.

"Just because you came looking for me the other night does not make us friends. Look, I'm not sure where you got the idea that a Pureblood witch, like me, and a Mudblood, like you, could be friends. But you obviously don't have a clue as to how the Wizarding world works."

"The correct term is Muggle-Born, not Mudblood," Emma corrected flippantly.

"Were you not paying attention to what I just said?" Angelina cried in frustration as they reached the Ravenclaw’s doorway

"Sure I did; Baskalisk," Emma said in response to the question and the door swung open. "Now let's get some sleep before classes tomorrow."

With that she headed for their dorm, leaving a baffled Angelina staring blankly after her.
Chapter 5 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Flying Fiasco
Chapter Five

It was early Tuesday morning, and Angelina sat groggily at breakfast. Emma, who acted as if last night had never happened, was disgustingly cheerful. She poured over her class schedule, giving Angelina a blow-by-blow account of all the subjects.

“And on Friday we start out with Transfiguration, then History of Magic, followed by Herbology, and after lunch we have double Potions, and to finish the day we have flying! Wow and I thought flying brooms only happened in Hollywood,” Emma sighed dreamily

“What?” Angelina questioned.

“Oh, never mind. Tell me about flying! Is it hard? Are you really good?”

“Flying is only for boys; Pureblood witches do not partake in such activities,” Angelina regurgitated what her mother had always told her.

“But,” Emma started but was cut off as a Howler exploded at the Gryffindor table.

“GRYFFINDOR!?! SIRIUS BLACK!” Screamed the high-pitched voice Angelina recognized as belonging to Mrs. Black. “HALF-BREED SHMUCKS, BLOOD TRAITOR SCUM, MUDBLOOD LOVING BASTARDS, AND MUDBLOOD FILTH BELONG IN GRYFFINDOR! NOT BLACKS! YOU BEFOUL THE NAME OF MY FAMILY! YOU ABOMINATION! SHAME OF MY FLESH! YOU BESMURCH THE NOBLE AND ANCIENT NAME OF BLACK! SIRIUS BLACK REMEMBER: SUCH BEHAVIOR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!”1

At the end of the Howler, Angelina looked around franticly, hoping against hope that a red envelope was not coming to her. Luckily the rest of breakfast continued without incident, and she couldn’t help but sigh in relief.

The week continued with little interest or excitement. People learnt to skirt widely around Angelina and Black when they passed in case of stray hexes. However, Angelina avoided total alienation from her house by earning a total of twenty-five points in her first week, which was, as Clearwater told her, a house record.

Friday finally rolled around, but before Angelina could reach the weekend she had to face Flying Lessons. To make matters worse they had the class with Potter and Black. So, with a heavy heart Angelina followed Emma as they made their way down to the grounds to meet the person who would be teaching them how to fly.

“I’m Abraham Aclebe, but everyone calls me Abe,” said a short, fat, balding man with a thick American accent. “Used to play on the Chudley Cannons Reserve back when I was young. So I’ll be teaching you kids all about flying. The first thing ya gotta know about flying is: It’s fun. Everyone likes to fly. So, if ya’ll stand next to a broom and tell it to get on up, then we can start.”

Angelina walked over to a broom, Emma following her.

“Did any of that make any sense to you?” Emma asked.

“Basically he’s an idiot that’s been hit by a Bludger too many times,” Angelina remarked derisively. “Up,” she commanded and up the broom jumped. She looked around to see what to do next, but most people seemed to be having a hard time getting their brooms to obey.

Abe walked around ‘helping’ people until finally every one was mounted properly.

“All right folks, the best way to learn how to fly is to fly. Now, when you’re ready, push off the ground. Just fly around a bit. Don’t worry, falling off is just part of the learning process. All right, what ya waiting for? Times a flyin’, no pun intended.” He chuckled at his own wit.

Angelina rose slowly and somewhat shakily. Glancing down, her stomach did nervous flip-flops at the distance between her feet and the ground. She cast the broom a suspicious glance; it didn’t look too reliable. Just then, a small fat Gryffindor boy gave a shriek as he fell from his broom. That settled it; Angelina steadied her broom and prepared to sit out the flying lesson“if you could even call it that. Most of the class was borderline horrid, and the bloody American was not particularly helping. People kept falling off their brooms. Soon several students were heading up to the hospital wing.

“Very good, very good. Only way to learn is to make mistakes. Very impressive, Potter,” Abe shouted.

Angelina looked up to see James Potter flying around doing loops and flips. The arrogant git kept looking at the red haired Gryffindor from the train and winking. To her credit, the girl didn’t look impressed.

“Come on Angel, don’t be afraid to fly. You’ll have old Sirius here to catch you.”

The biting reply from Angelina was cut off by a high-pitched scream as one of the Ravenclaw girls came hurtling down. With out thinking, Angelina swished her wand, sending a spell to catch the incompetent girl just as a wobbling Gryffindor boy knocked into Angelina, sending the spell off-target.

The spell hit Potter, sending him out of his loops. Angry, Potter fired back. Soon curses and hexes were flying, and even more people were falling off their brooms.

Angelina joined in with glee, sending a Jelly-Leg Jinx at Sirius Black. Black, normally a good flier, started weaving and dipping, nearly crashing into the redhead Potter had been showing off for.

Potter, trying to retaliate, sent a jet of bubble pink magic at Angelina; however, it hit a Ravenclaw who was hurtling through the air after being hit with a full body-bind curse.

“STOP!” bellowed a red faced Abe. “STOP! FIVE POINTS FROM THE NEXT HOUSE TO CAST A SPELL!!”

That got everyone’s attention, quick.

“Now, YOU. Miss…?” Here Abe twirled and pointed his wand at Angelina.

“Lestrange.”

“Miss Lestrange, you come over here this instant.”

Sighing, she descended. Abe was undoing the curses, although Angelina noticed with some satisfaction that he was having trouble with the spell she had cast on a tall blonde Gryffindor.

After some time, Abe finished restoring the class to their proper state, although one boy was still hopping every-other step, and Abe Aclebe yelled that class was dismissed.

“Now, you,” he hissed, turning to Angelina. “You’re to have two detentions for every curse. You cursed six people. That means, Miss Lestrange, that I want ya down here once every Sunday for the next twelve weeks. You and me are gonna be havin’ extra flying lessons. I expect to see you this Sunday at noon. You may go.”

“I can’t believe the nerve of that man,” Angelina fumed to Emma, who had stayed behind to wait for her.

“You could have really hurt someone. Anyway it’s not like he’s making you clean the hospital bedpans or something. Flying’s fun if you move,” Emma reasoned. She had been surprisingly good at flying and was now skipping next to Angelina in boisterous good spirits. “I can’t wait to try out for Quidditch. Lily was telling me about“”

“Lily Evans, the Gryffindor?”

“Yeah, she’s the redheaded you nearly killed her with one of your hexes. You don’t know her do you?”

“She’s a Mudblood, Emma,” Angelina responded as if that answered the question.

“Lena, I might not mind you saying Mudblood but other wizards and witches might not“”

“Everyone says Mudblood, Emma. Everyone.”

And they let the subject drop.

1. Howler's contents based on Mrs. Black's rantings in Order of the Phoenix.
Chapter 6 by Quick_Quote_Quill
A Powwow with Pomfrey
Chapter 6

On Thursday afternoons, first-year Ravenclaws got out early and Angelina planned to take full advantage of this opportunity. This free time was a perfect occasion to explore Hogwarts’s castle and grounds without suspicion. Now, a month into the school year, there had been three Thursday afternoons that she had made use of. Angelina had previously explored the 6th floor, where she had found nothing more than a short-cut to use between Transfiguration and Charms. On her second outing she had been even less successful, only stumbling across a distraught ghost named Myrtle in the out-of-order bathroom on the second floor. On her last outing she had discovered the Prefects’ bathroom, which would almost be worth becoming a Prefect for. Luckily, Jonathan Clearwater had let the password and location slip one evening when he had been droning on about the perks of being a Prefect. It had taken her only a little while to locate the statue of Boris the Bewildered on the fifth floor and even less time to find the fourth door to the left of the statue, so she had soon been able to enjoy all the bubble baths she wanted.

She doubted that she would be so lucky as to find anything as good a second time, but the previous evening, while in the library researching the latest Potions assignment for Slughorn, she had overheard none other than Black and Potter discussing the possibility of a secret passage that actually led out of the castle. Angelina would rather live as a Muggle than have them find it before her. That was why this Thursday she had planned to scour the castle for clues of the passageway. The only hitch in her plan was that Emma had already made arrangements to study with some Ravenclaw boy named Shacklebolt for the Astronomy test that was coming up next Monday. Peeved, Angelina decided that obviously she’d just have to do this by herself.

However, as she made her way out of the greenhouse after her last period of the day, instead of heading back up to the gloom of the castle, Angelina spontaneously decided to explore the grounds and struck out down to the lake. It was one of those fall days that the breeze ruffling the still-green leaves carries the hint of colder days to come. The impending chill of winter only served to heighten the pleasure Angelina took from the warmth of the sun on her skin, the crisp smell in the air, and the glorious stretch of bright blue sky.

Unsure of where to explore, Angelina paused to survey the land. Out in front of her stretched the lake and the forbidden forest. It fleetingly crossed her mind to explore this out-of-bounds area, but she decided against it, as she wasn’t much into hiking, sweating, or bugs. Overall, the forest, despite the secrets she was sure it held, had little appeal. Thus she decided on sneaking off to explore the Hogsmeade Village.

Angelina had just started off when someone behind her shouted her name. She turned around, wondering if Emma had changed her mind about studying for the Astronomy exam. Instead she saw the mediwitch, Madam Pomfrey, was standing over by the entrance to a greenhouse. She beckoned to Angelina, and with some reluctance Angelina approached.

“You seem to be doing better,” the Healer observed when Angelina was standing next to her.

“Yep,” Angelina said, hoping if she agreed she’d be let off to explore.

“You know, I’ve been wanting to show you something for a while. Will you come with me?” Madam Pomfrey questioned, jerking her head in the direction of the greenhouse.

Reluctantly Angelina followed the mediwitch into the steaming glass house.

Inside they were greeted by a sweet fragrance entirely unfamiliar to Angelina. There were also a variety of exotic looking plants that she recognized as being much more dangerous than the plants found in the first-year greenhouse. As the older witch led the way through the narrow aisles between rows of wild-looking vegetation growing in ordered chaos on each side, Angelina carefully kept her hands to herself. Even with her allergy potion, she was no wiz at Herbology, and routinely had to be sent to the Hospital wing. She seemed particularly prone to poisonous plants, and had had to send away for a special pair of protective gloves.

At the end of the greenhouse stood a profusion of flowering bushes, and it was from these delicate plants that the fragrant aroma filling the greenhouse originated. The plants themselves had glossy, dark green leaves that contrasted with the white blossoms currently in full bloom.

“This,” the mediwitch announced, “is the fructum ex veneno, or by its common name, the Alchemist. Do you know what this plant does, Miss Lestrange?”

“No.”

“Without this plant we would not be able to step foot inside this greenhouse. The rest of this house’s inhabitants are highly poisonous”so much so that they are too toxic for wizards and witches to approach without heavy protection. Unless, of course, the Alchemist is present. You see, it absorbs the poisons and filters them back into the air as the delightful scent that fills this room. Many wizards and witches have tried, over the centuries, to capture its perfume, but all have failed. You see, the perfume turns back into poison and kills the wearer.”

“I see. But what does this have to do with me?” Angelina had a nasty feeling she knew where Madam Pomfrey was going with this.

“Well my dear, I thought you might find it interesting. You see, some witches and wizards are born with a skill very similar to that of the Alchemist. They too absorb things “ such as poison, or sometimes even thoughts and feelings”from their surroundings. For them, only Occlumency can stop the absorption.”

“I see.”

And with that the older witch left Angelina in the greenhouse staring at the poison-absorbing Alchemist.

After her chat with Madam Pomfrey, Angelina wasn’t much in the mood for exploring so she headed to the library to do some research instead. However, she was unable to find much on the subject of Madam Pomfrey’s revelation. The single paragraph she did find was located in a thick, dusty volume she’d unearthed in a section of the stacks she was certain no one had visited in years judging by the dust on the cover, and it wasn’t very helpful at that. In addition, all the books on Occlumency were located in the restricted section, and as a first year, she didn’t have access to them. Frustrated by the library’s lack of information on the subject, Angelina sat in the library stunning flies and ranting under her breath.

“Uhh…Could I join you? All the other tables are full.”

“No,” Angelina stated, not looking up.

“Uhh…sorry.” The person had already started to shuffle off when she finally looked up. It was Remus Lupin. She hadn’t really seen him much since their trip on the train together. The few times she had seen him he had been with Black and Potter, laughing at some pathetic joke. Of course, the whole of Gryffindor house seemed to be besotted with the wit and charm or Black and Potter. In fact, with the exception of Lily Evans, Severus Snape, and herself, it seemed everyone in the school was enamored with the prats. Potter had even picked up a sidekick, Peter Pettigrew. In Angelina’s opinion, Pettigrew wasn’t even a worthy adversary. At lest Black and Potter could defend themselves; Pettigrew would end up in a bundle of jinxes if he wasn’t careful.

Remembering the saying of “Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer,” Angelina decided to invite Remus Lupin to sit with her. You never knew what he might reveal.

“Actually, I wouldn’t mind,” Angelina amended.

“You sure?” the boy asked tentatively. The stormy eyed Ravenclaw was feared throughout the school for her nasty curses. Of course, she rarely hit anyone who didn’t provoke her, but he didn’t want to even miff her slightly. He’d seen what happened to Peter Pettigrew, and the boy had only laughed at one of Potter’s jokes.

“Sure. Lupin, right? We sat together on the train.”

“Yeah,” he agreed smiling. “You’re Angelina Lestrange.”

“Call me Lena, everyone does.”

“Potter and Black call you Angel.”

“Potter and Black don’t sit at my table.” She left out the part about getting cursed instead, as she felt that might seem threatening.

“How do you like Defense Against the Dark Arts?” Remus asked, trying to change the subject and noticing the thick volume on the subject lying on the table.

Angelina shrugged. “Theoretically it’s interesting enough, but with Professor Fishback ... I swear the only monster she’s ever seen is in the mirror when she wakes up.”

Lupin couldn’t help but laugh at the girl’s description of the Dark Arts teacher. He found himself enjoying her company as they both did their homework.

“There you two are! We’ve been looking everywhere for you!” Emma shouted across the library, earning a disapproving look from the librarian. Beside her was Lily Evans, the Mudblood Gryffindor.

“Hi Lily,” Lupin greeted, while picking up his books. “You ready for dinner?”

“Yeah let’s go. See you both later,” Evans said, waving good-bye to the two girls.

“I’m glad you’re making friends with Remus. Isn’t he just too sweet?”

“Yeah, sure, Emma. Where were you? I thought you’d be studying.”

“Oh, Lily and I were talking to Abe about Quidditch.”

Angelina felt a pang that Emma had gone with Lily and not her. Why? I don’t even like Emma. She’s annoying, and babbles way too much, and is not particularly skilled, and for some reason I am jealous that she picked Lily over me. For some reason I want her to think of me as her friend. Even though she’s a MUDBLOOD.

And for some reason, Angelina didn’t find herself caring very much that Emma was a Mudblood.
Chapter 7 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Trick or Treat
Chapter Seven

Angelina had spent the previous evening pouring over books in the library. Originally she had been looking for more information on Occlumency, as she had obtained a permission slip from the Astronomy professor to visit the restricted section. However, she had stumbled across a section of volumes on invisibility, which had struck her as very interesting and possibly very useful for obtaining more information on subjects forbidden to her.

Consequently, Angelina, who was never very lively in the mornings anyway, was practically comatose at breakfast that morning. She sat silently sipping her tea and occasionally nibbling on a tomato; Emma had insisted she eat something as breakfast was “the most important meal of the day.” Too tired to argue, Angelina docilely let Emma cram her plate full of eggs, kippers, and tomatoes, even though Angelina abhorred any type of eggs. Similarly, when Emma decided to strike up a conversation about her Muggle relations in America, Angelina let her continue the monologue without the usual rebuff.

"In America,” Emma was saying, “Muggles also celebrate Halloween . . ."

Instead Angelina did her best to ignore the incorrigible Emma, staring dreamily into space. Unfortunately, her relative peace was interrupted by an unwelcome morning visit.

"Good morning my sunshine, my sweet Angel," the all too familiar voice of Sirius Black drawled, causing a few people nearby to chortle. They stopped abruptly as Angelina cast a silencing spell on all of them.

With a crack, a halo appeared above her head just as Black and Potter strolled past on their way to the Gryffindor table, giving each other high-fives and whooping as they went.

Waving her wand, Angelina made the halo disappear with a bang and some smoke. She had since the beginning of school become very adept at that particular counter curse. She glared malevolently over at Black and Potter”who were now toasting one another with pumpkin juice and regaling a snickering Pettigrew with the events of the morning”while Emma happily chatted away about how cute her little cousin had looked all dressed up as a pumpkin.

Suddenly, genius hit. Smiling maliciously, Angelina observed, "It must be really great to be able to know both wizard and Muggle worlds, Emma."

Without batting a lash at this change in opinion, Emma launched into a speech comparing the pros and cons of being born to a Muggle rather than a pureblood family.

"And then there’s the whole issue of having one parent who’s magical while the other is not." Emma continued expounding on the idea even as she and Angelina finished breakfast and made their way to Charms.

~*~

Once one comes up with a plan, the next step is to find a competent partner in crime with whom to implement it. Unfortunately for Angelina, the Ravenclaw house did not exactly abound with suitable accomplices. The only one that did not toe the line (aside from Angelina herself) was Emma, and the memory of Emma melting her caldron during their first Potions class (in which they hadn’t even made a potion) was still sufficiently strong to deter Angelina from asking her”at least this time.

If only she had been sorted into Slytherin, she would have been able to find plenty of sly conspirators that would be more than happy to volunteer their services. As it was, she didn’t know anyone in Slytherin but her brother. Well, and the boy on the train . . . but he would probably avoid her like the rest of the house. And who could blame them? She would have shunned her too.

However, fate seemed to be smiling on Angelina. That Thursday the last class of the day was Defense Against the Dark Arts with Slytherin. Emma was in the hospital wing because of some injuries she had sustained in Potions. When the professor requested that everyone pair up, Angelina and Severus were the only ones left without a partner besides a Slytherin boy whose partners had a nasty habit of turning up in the hospital wing. Angelina and Severus quickly paired up, leaving the teacher to deal with the somewhat psychopathic student.

However, halfway through class the professor mysteriously had to rush off to see Madam Pomfrey. Left unsupervised, the class disintegrated into various conversations.

"Severus?" Angelina questioned, turning to her silent partner.

"Yes?"

“How are you at Potions?”

“Passable,” he responded, giving the Ravenclaw a questioning look. “Why?”

“Well, I’ve got an idea.”

"Really? You mean that brain of yours actually works?" was his acidic response.

“What do you think of the Gryffindor boys in our year? Particularly Black and Potter,” she questioned, unperturbed by his prickly exterior.

She hardly needed to hear his response; the look on his face said it all. At the mention of the two boys’ names, his lips had formed an unattractive sneer that transformed his face; his expression was rather frightening.

“Why do you want to know?” was all he said.

“Well, I thought we could give them a taste of their own tricks.”

At this, the boy’s face lit up in interest. “Alright, I’m listening.”

Taking heart, Angelina launched into an explanation of her plan.

By the end, Severus was smiling maliciously.

“Brilliant,” he whispered when she was done. Angelina blushed. “But I think we need one more person to help.”

“Who?” Angelina questioned glancing about the room at the other Slytherins.

“Lily Evans “ ”

“But she’s a Mudblood,” Angelina commented snobbishly.

“Fine, if you don’t want her. But she’s the best in Potions in our class. Slughorn practically wants to adopt her.”

“Really?”

“Really. And she doesn’t like Black and Potter any more than we do.”

But before the debate could continue there was a burst of noise from the hall as students where let out of their class.

“Alright,” Angelina agreed as she packed up her bag. “We’ll meet in the secret passageway on the third floor by the armor gallery in three hours. Tell Evans.”

And with that the two hurried off, Angelina to the library and Severus to inform Lily of the plan.

The next few weeks found the trio, heads bent in the library, pouring over books. This did nothing to improve Angelina's relationship with people in her house, but she didn't care. However, this association did not deter Emma, and while she kept her distance from the sallow Slytherin boy, the blonde Mudblood approved of Angelina’s association with Lily Evans, even if none of Angelina’s family would have. In fact, Emma, much to Angelina’s puzzlement, continued to accompany Angelina all around school.

"I've been thinking,” Emma voiced one day as the two Ravenclaw girls sat in the library working on their homework, “and I think Hogwarts should have a costume party on Halloween. What do you think?"

"I'm sure it's a lovely idea, Emma," Angelina mumbled absentmindedly. She was staring down at her History of Magic essay and wondering if Professor Binns would notice if she made up a few names.

"I tried to talk to Clearwater, since he's a fifth year Prefect, but he said that the Heads had better things to do than listen to harebrained first year's schemes."

"He doesn't know what he's talking about. It's brilliant," Angelina responded, not really knowing what she was sympathizing with, but knowing Harebrained was a perfect name for her made-up troll.

"If I'm ever a Prefect, I'll make sure there's a costume party, maybe even a dance."

"Humm, me too. If I'm ever a Prefect," Angelina promised. It didn't matter what she promised if the conditions were her being a Prefect. Her father would become a Muggle lover, Severus would start giving out sweets instead of curses, and Black would go a semester without detentions before that happened.

~*~

Angelina sat on the edge of her bed, clasping a little bottle in her hand. In the bottle was a potion that Lily, Severus, and she had concocted together.

“FuFu?” She called hesitantly. “FuFu?”

The elf had told Angelina to call if she ever needed help. Angelina was going to see if she could use this help to get back at Potter and Black. While Pettigrew was, as always, their faithful sidekick, there was only enough potion for the main targets. This time at least.

“FuFu? I need some help.”

Angelina was at the point of considering extracting the locations of the kitchen from an older student, probably not a Ravenclaw, when FuFu appeared with a crack.

“How is Miss doing? FuFu is hoping Miss is feeling much better. FuFu has specially been making Miss’s bed to check up on how Miss is doing. FuFu is seeing that Miss has made a friend. She is hoping Miss is much happier now.”

“Yes, much. But my friends Sirius Black and James Potter are not doing so well.”

“FuFu is sorry to hear that. They are such nice boys. FuFu is seeing the two of them down in the kitchens all the time.”

They had even managed to charm the house elves, Angelina thought in exasperation

“Yes, well if you put this tonic in their pumpkin juice tonight they will feel much better.”

“Oh, Miss is so kind. FuFu is honored Miss has asked for FuFu’s help. FuFu is most willing to help.” Taking the bottle, FuFu disappeared with a crack.

That done, Angelina hurried to tell Severus that every thing had gone as planned.

At dinner that night, Angelina was grinning like the Cheshire cat. She shifted in her seat trying to get a better view of Black and Potter. Suddenly with two pops, jack-o’-lanterns appeared in place of the two boys’ heads. People shrieked and pointed at the two boys, laughing uproariously.

Potter seemed to be distinctly put out, as the redheaded Mudblood was one of those laughing at him, but Black was actually enjoying the attention!

Angelina was furious. After all their hard work, the plan had backfired.

"I'm sorry, Lena. It really was a marvelous potion. Maybe you can help me in Potions. I am horrid at it."

Angelina was on the verge of denying that she had anything to do with this failure of a prank “ Lestranges did not fail”when all of a sudden Emma reached her arm around Angelina’s shoulders and gave her a squeeze.

Instead she whispered, “Thanks. You actually gave me the idea with your cousin’s custom. It was an incredibly complex potion “ Evans really is a genius in potions. It took us two weeks to brew . . .”

And with that Angelina launched into a detailed description of the process of making the potion, while Emma just smiled and reached for a second helping.
Chapter 8 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Friends Forever
Chapter Eight

It is said that there is usually one teacher that a student loathes above all others. For Angelina, this teacher was Abe Aclebe. At every opportunity the almost squib would pop up and add on to the list of detentions Angelina had. If this kept up she would not have a Quidditch free Sunday until after she left Hogwarts. Consequently, she had spent more time on a broom recently than she would have ever cared to. Emma or shine, hot or cold, Abe Acblebe expected to see Angelina on the Quidditch pitch. She probably got as much or more practice than the Ravenclaw Quidditch team (a school wide joke; they barely had enough players to make a team and were on a five year losing streak.).

That’s why a Sunday evening in November found Angelina wet, cold, and hungry storming through the Hogwarts corridors on her way back from detention. This practice, Abe had made her chase Bludgers around; it was that or have them hit her. She was not in a good mood.

Sirius Black, however, liked to pop up at inopportune moments. Along with Potter and Pettigrew, Sirius Black was enchanting the sets of armor to accost anyone that walked by. However entertaining this was, it was nothing to sparring wits with Angelina Lestrange.

“What happened to you? You look like a drowned rat,” Potter remarked with an expression bordering on a sneer playing across his face. The relationship between Angelina and Potter had not improved since their first encounter, and it did not help matters that Potter was Abe Aclebe’s clear favorite while Angelina considered the flying instructor something close to her nemesis.

“Abe,” Angelina replied. She didn’t have the energy to form a witty response. The only thing she wanted to do was sneak into the Prefects’ bathroom and take a nice long bath.

Potter had no wish to accommodate her. “So is the little Angel spreading her wings and flying?”

“You really need to think of something more creative, four eyes. The Angel joke’s getting old. Now move. I have better things to do than sit around trading plebian comments with you.”

“What, you have a date with dear old Snivellus?” Potter gabbed, sniggering. Pettigrew laughed too, but Black didn’t find it amusing.

“I don’t understand what you see in that greasy prat,” Black bit out.

“It’s none of your business, Black,” Angelina responded just as nastily; she was starting to get chills and she didn’t have time for the egotistical Black. “Don’t you ever go away?”

“Nope. It’s all part of this lovable package.”

“Is the package returnable?”

“No. It’s specially for you.”

“Well, I prefer jewelry.”

“Really?”

Shrugging, Angelina sighed and continued, “Can I go now?”

“None of us are stopping you,” Potter grinned.

Angelina stepped forward along the corridor only to be surrounded by the suits of armor.

“Only the armor,” Potter finished. Pettigrew found this the most hilarious thing he had ever heard.

The trio practically skipped away down the hall.

Angelina fumed. She hit the statues with various spells. None seemed to work.

“There you are!”

It was Emma. Angelina sighed; she wished it was Severus. He’d know how to get her out.

“Oh, did those horrible marauding Gryffindors do this?”

“Do you have any ideas to get me out?” Angelina barked, not wanting to dwell on the fact that the trio had gotten the better of her.

Emma looked pensive. “I’m not sure. . . Do you think the jelly legs curse would work?”

“Might,” Angelina replied doubtfully. She had tried very advanced spells; she was certain such a simple charm wouldn’t work. However, it did. Within minutes, Angelina and Emma were on their way to their dormitory.

“Thanks,” Angelina muttered as they entered the common room, before fleeing to the bathroom to get out of her rain-laden clothes.

Abe’s detentions continued to pile up; between that, the increasingly large amount of homework that first years had been assigned, and the extra credit project she had decided to take on for Potions, even Angelina was starting to feel the pressure of the schoolwork. Especially since Angelina considered anything less than full points unacceptable. That was why Sunday evening found Angelina in the library dictating to her quill after another horrid flying lesson.

She was, as always, very absorbed in her work, but even she couldn’t ignore it when drops of water started hitting the page, and Angelina looked up. Emma stood there, dripping wet with a rain cloud floating above her head, drenching her with icy water.

“Who did this to you?” Angelina cried after a shocked moment of staring. She was surprised at how angry she was about Emma’s curse. It was then that it hit her: Emma was actually her friend. Angelina had no time to dwell on this discovery, however, as her friend was still suffering the effects of the curse, and she immediately rose to start searching the library shelves for an appropriate book of counter curses.

“B-B-Black an-and P-Pot-ttter,” Emma stammered, her teeth chattering. “I-I’ve b-b-been look-kkkkk-iing everywwwwwhere for you.”

“Why didn’t you go to the nurse?”

“It-s agggainst the ruuuuules.”

“Don’t be thick, Pettigrew goes to her all the time. Most of my detentions are because of him.”

“I’mmm notttttttt P-p-pet-t-t-grew.”

“Of course you’re not. He’s nothing but a bloody idiot that’s practically a squib. He should be a Hufflepuff. Oh, here it is,” Angelina cried triumphantly when she found the counter curse, which would have earned a disapproving glare from the librarian if she were around. Luckily the librarian was lost in the recesses of the stacks locating an obscure book for a Ravenclaw seventh year, and did not hear Angelina (or see Emma, whose state she would certainly have objected to). Angelina quickly set about performing the counter-curse, and after a bit of wand waving and a few warming and drying charms, Emma was as good as new.

Then Angelina sat down to do some research on curses. Angelina considered few people to be her friends, and she did not take well to them being cursed. Black and Potter were going to pay dearly.

~*~

Angelina was not one to be out done. And Black and Potter had been annoyingly successful of late. She and Severus decided they needed to have a meeting to discuss the Despise Sirius Black Club, which had been modified to the Despise Sirius Black and James Potter and Their Sidekicks Club. The club now had three members: Angelina, Severus, and Emma, with the Lily as their consultant. Emma had put aside her fear of Severus for “the common good,” although she made sure to sit as far away from him as possible.

Currently they were holding a meeting in an empty classroom. Severus, Angelina, and Emma were all in attendance.

“We could make another potion,” Severus suggested.

“No, we need to make it stick,” Angelina replied.

“We could hang their pants up in the great hall,” Emma giggled.

“I am not touching Potter’s panties,” the Slytherin boy spat, disgusted.

“Sorry. I just thought”” Emma meekly mumbled, not looking at Severus.

“It doesn’t matter; in order to do that we’d need to get into their bedroom,” Angelina interfered.

“Why don’t we sneak into their bedroom and make them tell us their secrets,” Emma supplied hopefully.

“First off”” Angelina began, but Severus cut her off.

“Yeah. I like that.”

“First off, do any of us even know where the Gryffindor common room is?” Angelina continued.

“No, but we could follow them,” Severus countered, his mind already wheeling with schemes.

“I actually do know. Lily once had to fetch a book and she took me there. I didn’t go in, but . . .”

“That’s brilliant!” Severus exclaimed. His normally cool façade had evaporated when faced with the possibility of getting revenge.

“Well, what about the password?” Angelina observed practically.

“We can get inside help,” Severus proclaimed. “Lily can open it for us!”

“I don’t know; I don’t want Lily to get into trouble. Still, we could ask her. She does hate Potter more than anyone,” Emma announced. Then, glancing at Severus, amended it to, “Well, besides Severus.”

“Okay, even if we manage to get into the common room, how are we going to get them to tell us their secrets? They don’t just sit around talking about their deep dark inner fears. Otherwise they wouldn’t be deep dark inner fears, they’d be public knowledge,” Angelina pointed out, practical as ever.

“They are Gryffindors, they’re a weird lot,” the boy retorted.

“Not that weird,” Angelina disagreed.

“What about the Imperius Curse or Veritasirum,” Severus continued, his eyes shining with glee.

“That would be illegal!” Emma cried.

“Oh don’t be such a fearful flobberworm. I’m sure there’s a loophole. I was reading just the other day that in extreme cases of national security, Veritaserum is allowed.”

Angelina had just opened her mouth to point out this wasn’t quite a case of national security, when, to her surprise, Emma stood up to Severus.

“Well, as much as I want to get back at those Gryffindors, we can’t do anything a bit illegal. Pettigrew, the filthy little squib, will rat us out. I, for one, am not getting expelled for the likes of him,” Emma finished, looking surprised by her own daring.

“Alright,” Severus conceded grudgingly.

“What about a boggart?” Angelina proposed.

Emma and Severus frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“What if we use a boggart to scare them? We could put it somewhere that they’ll come across it and then they’ll scream and run away crying. Or at least Pettigrew will; Potter and Black are less likely to cry. In any case, everyone will see.”

“We’d need three, otherwise the boggart won’t know what to change into,” Severus interjected.

“Why don’t we hide them in their Potions cauldrons?” Emma suggested.

“All right, but first we need to find three boggarts,” Angelina stated, already heading to the library to research the best ways to capture boggarts.

Chapter 9 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Snow on a Saturday
Chapter Nine

“Come on! Come on! Wake up already!” Emma shouted at Angelina. “It’s snowing.”

Angelina lifted one sleep-laden eyelid to glare up at Emma. She tried to look threatening, but it came off looking constipated.

“What do you want?” she grunted, rolling over on her side away from the chilly air pouring in through her open bed-curtains. Just because she was friends with the girl didn’t mean she wanted to be woken up early on a Saturday morning.

“It’s snowing!” Emma squealed again, in an even higher octave than before”if that was possible.

“Yes, I believe you’ve mentioned that already,” Angelina retorted. “But I fail to see what that has to do with me being woken up, at . . .” here Angelina glanced through the dim grey light of the room at the grandfather-clock, “five-thirty!” She glared menacingly at Emma, sitting up groggily and reaching for where her wand lay on her nightstand.

However, it wasn’t there. Angelina looked confusedly around at Emma, only to see her grinning cheekily back at her.

“Give it back,” Angelina snapped, thrusting her downy covers off and standing up.

“I don’t have it”not on me. Come on, we’re going sledding!” Emma shouted exuberantly, unfazed by Angelina’s glare.

“Will you two keep it down! Some of us are trying to sleep,” came a snappish voice from behind the curtains of one of their roommate’s beds.

“You see, I’m not the only one that doesn’t care about the snow. Now where did you put my wand?” Angelina hissed.

“Get dressed. I’ll show you,” Emma whispered back.

It was only once Angelina was fully bundled up in outdoor attire that Emma led the way out of the dormitory and down to the common room. Here she handed Angelina her wand, which had been lying on the fireplace mantle.

“Alright, now let’s go sledding. If we hurry we’ll have the grounds all to ourselves.”

“Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. I am not going anywhere. You can go run around in the cold or whatever you want to do, but I’m going back up to bed.” With that, Angelina turned on her heel and headed up the stairs. Unfortunately, when she reached her room it was locked”her roommates had decided they wanted a little peace and quiet.

Alohomora,” she whispered at the lock. Nothing happened. She thought for a second before realizing she didn’t know any other spells to unlock a door. Angelina frowned. Alohomora had never failed her before, and now she couldn’t get back to her bed. Or back to her books to research other unlocking spells.

Upset, Angelina stormed down the stairs to glare at Emma, who was still standing by the couch.

“I’ll just have you know, I was planning on researching invisibility today, but thanks to you and your noisiness at ungodly hours of the morning, my books and bed are locked away from me.”

“Oh, come on Angelina. It’s Saturday””

“Exactly, I should get to sleep in and read in the library. Not freeze to death in a blizzard.”

“You can’t do homework today! It’s snowing. Anyway, we don’t do invisibility ‘til much later. That’s not even homework.”

“Your point being?”

“Come on. Let’s have some fun. Later, we can even bewitch some snowballs to follow Edgecombe and her gang around,” Emma cajoled, referring to the other Ravenclaw first year girls that had locked the door.

“Alright, but it’s only because I don’t trust you to do the charm properly,” Angelina relented grudgingly.

“Whatever. Let’s go.”

With that Emma, giggling annoyingly with glee, pranced happily over to the portrait hole.

“It rarely snows in Forest Row,” Emma commented, referring to the small town in East Sussex where she and her mother and stepfather lived, “but I love it. And when it does . . .” she paused dreamily, sighing in contentment as she hugged herself, “Chip takes me sledding. Mum makes us hot chocolate”she doesn’t like the cold. It never snows in California. That’s where she’s from. It’s in America.”

“I know that. How long has she lived in England?”

“Oh, a while. She came over to do a film.”

“A what?”

“Oh, it’s a Muggle thing that “ ”

“Really, Emma why would I want to know about Muggles?”

“Anyway, Chip’s English. So she stayed.”

Chip was Emma’s stepfather. She never talked about her father, but Angelina didn’t pry”Emma never asked about Angelina’s mother, so Angelina repaid the courtesy by avoiding the subject of Emma’s father.

Trying to steer the conversation to a more comfortable topic as they walked down the stairs to the Great Hall, Angelina asked, “Are you English then?”

“I was born here.”

Angelina turned to enter the Great Hall, but Emma stopped her. “Come on, I have something to show you.”

“We’re not eating?” Angelina questioned.

“No, of course we are. It’s the most important meal of the day!” But she refused to say any more, not that Angelina would beg.

They made their way downward until they reached a corridor dominated by a picture of a bowl of fruit. Here Emma paused, inspecting the painting.

“Now, when we get in you have to distract them. Ask for food or something. I don’t know. We might need something more dramatic. Do you think you could pretend to faint?”

Angelina looked in confusion at Emma. “Distract who? It’s just us.”

“Well, when I tickle this pear, we are going to be standing in the kitchens.”

“Why are we going there instead of the Great Hall?”

“We need sleds, of course.”

“And the kitchen has sleds?” Angelina was getting more confused by the minute.

“Baking sheets.”

“What?”

But before Angelina could ask any more questions Emma was leaning forward, tickling the pear in the painting in front of them. Even more surprisingly, the pear turned into a handle that Emma deftly turned to reveal the kitchen and hundreds of elves staring up at them.

It didn’t take much acting for Angelina to collapse to the floor.
Chapter 10 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Foes and Friends in the Forest
Chapter Ten

As it turned out, it had been totally unnecessary for Angelina to distract the house elves. Not only had the decoy not worked (besides sending FuFu into a fit of hysterics over Angelina’s health), but once Emma was caught trying to nick the baking sheets and the two girls had explained their purpose, the house elves not only gave them the baking sheets, but also plied them with food.

Thus, several minutes later, Angelina and Emma were happily on their way with two baking sheets and a thermos of hot cocoa. Emma had explained that, in the absence of sleds, baking sheets would substitute perfectly. Angelina, who had never gone sledding in her life, decided to trust Emma’s expertise on the matter.

“How’d you know where the kitchen was?” Angelina questioned as they made their way back to the Entrance Hall.

“Pettigrew,” Emma said, her eyes sparkling with glee. “The little rodent can’t go a full twelve hours between dinner and breakfast without food. Lily told me he’s always sneaking out in the middle of the night.”

Angelina still felt a slight sting of jealousy whenever Emma mentioned her Gryffindor friend, but she bit her tongue to refrain from voicing any criticisms of the girl, reminding herself that Emma was a Mudblood too. Besides, she’d watched Evans in Charms and the girl wasn’t half bad. She hadn’t quite memorized the textbooks like Angelina had, but she’d outshone many of Angelina’s fellow Ravenclaws, even those who had also memorized the textbook.

Evans was also brilliant at Potions. So even though her father had always said Muggles were daft and Mudbloods dim-witted, Angelina couldn't help but feel a grudging respect for such a talented witch. After all, Purebloods were known and respected for their talent, accomplishments, and intelligence, so clearly it was these qualities that really mattered anyway. And Lily Evans was certainly no idiot; in fact, she was rather intelligent.

Angelina pulled herself away from her musings on the Mudblood Gryffindor and back to Emma’s account of how she found the kitchens.

“And,” Emma continued, clearly having just given a vast amount of information about her espionage episode, most of which Angelina had missed while thinking about Lily Evans, “he led me right to the kitchens. Of course I couldn’t go in, or he would have seen me. Otherwise I would have known how friendly the house elves are. I should have figured; that dim-wit wouldn’t be able to nick food to save his life.”

“Well done!” Angelina complimented. “We’ll have to go on more explorations together “ I’ve heard there’s a secret passage that leads out of Hogwarts! Wouldn’t that be brilliant?”

Emma’s eyes gleamed with curiosity. “I wonder where it could be.”

“I don’t know, but we’ve got to figure it out before Black and Potter do,” Angelina said while pulling up her hood and getting ready to face the outdoors by casting a warming charm on her boots.

“Why are you so obsessed with beating Black?” Emma questioned, tugging her scarf tightly around her neck and mouth.

“He’s a prat,” came the muffled reply from Angelina.

Emma felt the answer was a little more complicated than that, but she let the subject drop for now since they had just exited the warmth of the castle and were now standing in the freezing winds of the blizzard.

“Are you still sure you want to go sledding? We could wait for the storm to die down,” Angelina yelled over a gust of wind. She received her answer only when Emma thrust one baking sheet at her and hopped on her own.

Soon the two girls were hurtling across the grounds. Angelina found that she was enjoying herself despite the cold. She laughed as her sheet slid faster and she went flying past Emma. Racing on, she saw the completely even patch of snow out to her left that showed where the lake lay underneath a blanket of snow. She positioned her body so that the sled would head more to the right and avoid the lake, as she didn’t want to find herself slipping across thin ice. And she definitely didn’t want to pay the giant squid a visit.

“I bet I can beat you!” Emma yelled, coming up next to Angelina as the two girls hopped off of their sleds to climb the next hill.

“To where?” Angelina challenged.

“Edge of the forest. No magic allowed.”

“See you there!” Angelina called over her shoulder as she sprinted off.

Angelina was winning as she neared the forest. Her cheeks were burning with the cold and her lungs stung as she pelted up the next slope with Emma (who had led most of the race) close on her heels. Somewhere along the way her scarf had fallen off, but she was not about to slow down to look for it. A little ways away she could see the forest looming, dark and forbidden. Angelina smiled in triumph as she threw herself down on the sled and flew along the hill. Her eyes scanned the horizon in anticipation of reaching the finish. However, mid-hill Angelina threw herself to a stop, tumbling off her sled. Emma, who had been hot on her heels, collided with Angelina’s baking sheet and slipped off her sled too.

“What“” Emma started to cry before Angelina cast a Silencing Charm on her friend, dragging her down behind a small mound of snow.

Emma looked confused and startled as Angelina touched a finger to her lips to indicate that Emma should be silent. When Emma nodded her head in assent, Angelina released the Silencing Charm and pointed downwards to the darkly cloaked figure just entering the forest.

“Slughorn,” Emma whispered in confusion.

Angelina nodded, her eyes fixed on the waddling figure.

“What do you think he’s doing?” Emma questioned again, her voice barely audible above the gusts of wind.

“I don’t know,” Angelina mused quietly.

“Do you think he’s getting some potions ingredients?”

“In the middle of a blizzard?”

“No. I suppose not.”

“Let’s follow him,” Angelina suggested.

“What? Into the forest? It’s forbidden.”

But Angelina wasn’t listening; she was already sliding down the hill after the quickly disappearing professor.

Luckily, the snow kept Slughorn’s footprints visible, and the two Ravenclaw girls were able to track him from a good distance. They continued through the forest, and the trees grew thicker and taller as they went, making it darker.

“Lena,” Emma whispered, her voice sounding loud in the unnatural silence, “let’s go back. You look cold.”

It was true. Now that they had stopped running, Angelina really missed her scarf. In fact, she was so cold her teeth were chattering uncontrollably.

“I’m fine,” Angelina lied, her teeth chattering even more. She frowned at the ground. It was getting hard to track the footprints; they were almost covered with snow in the places where the snow had managed to fall through the trees or were absent where the snow was not on the ground.

Emma was about to say she was lying when a noise from behind them made the girls jump.

“What was that?” Emma squeaked.

“I don’t know,” Angelina admitted, her voice shaking even more as she drew out her wand.

“Let’s go back,” Emma urged as the two girls edged quietly back in the direction they had come.

Again the noise sounded, now from their right. Whatever it was, it was definitely moving toward them.

“I heard there are vampires in here,” Emma moaned.

“Let’s hope that’s the worst of it,” Angelina said, wishing her teeth would stop chattering so loudly as she held out her wand in the direction of the noise. Her hand was shaking.

The noise was now constant and coming at them with increasing speed.

The two girls, clutching at each other, had stopped moving. They were now shaking from more than just cold.

Suddenly, three dark shapes burst from a bush. There were shouts of “stupefy!”.

The voices were not just Angelina and Emma’s. Angelina recognized them, and in a flash of red she saw the face of Sirius Black.

“Black?” she called, almost in disbelief.

“Angelina?”

“Lestrange?” came the voice of Potter.

“Potter.”

Lumos,” Emma whispered from beside her.

The tip of Emma’s wand lit up, and there stood Black, Potter, and Pettigrew.

“What are you three doing here?” Angelina demanded.

“We could ask you the very same thing,” replied Black.

“We asked first,” Emma told him.

“Alright,” Potter said. “We were looking for you.”

“No you weren’t.”

“Really? Well what were you two doing?”

“Looking for unicorns,” Angelina lied.

“Looking for unicorns in the middle of a blizzard?” Black repeated skeptically.

“Ye-ye-ye-s-s-s-s,” Angelina chattered.

“You’re freezing,” Black stated. “Where’s your bloody hat? Have you lost your mind? It’s freezing out here, Angelina,” he reprimanded.

“Thanks, Black,” Angelina snapped. “I hadn’t noticed.”

“Come on, you girls need to get warmed up.”

“Pettigrew doesn’t look that great either,” Angelina retorted.

“Yeah, I think we all better go back, Sirius,” Potter recommended.

Black looked like he wanted to stay, but after glancing around said, “Alright; Peter does look frozen.”

“Oh, good I thought we were going to continue looking for Remus all day,” Peter said happily as the group trudged back in the direction of Hogwarts. “Ow, what did you step on my foot for James?”

“You were looking for Remus?” Emma said quickly.

“Uh, yeah. Playing hide-and-go seek. You know,” Black supplied.

“And you’re just going to leave him out here?”

“Well . . . he must have gone back to the castle because he was sick. He’s probably in the hospital wing.”

“He was playing hide and seek in the blizzard when he was sick?” Emma said skeptically.

“No stranger than looking for a unicorn.”

He had a point there, so Emma shut up. Angelina was too cold to really care what the boys had been up to, though she suspected it was probably to prepare for some prank or something. Now that she was no longer on a mission to discover what Professor Slughorn was up to, the trek through the forest seemed longer. Her toes felt frozen.

“Come on,” Black said to Potter, veering off slightly to the right. “Let’s stop by Hagrid’s to warm up before we head up to the castle. Maybe he can lend Angelina a hat.”

Angelina didn’t even bother denying that she needed a hat. She was so cold by now that she didn’t care what “Hagrid’s” was as long as it warm. Emma, however, did.

“What’s ‘Hagrid’s’? I didn’t think there were any stores on the Hogwarts grounds.”

“It’s not a store. He’s the Gamekeeper,” Potter explained.

“We just can’t let him see that we’re coming out of the forest or he’ll give us a lecture,” Black warned.

“I wonder if he’ll have anything to eat?” Pettigrew voiced.

It turned out Hagrid did have something to eat, but only if your teeth were boulders. His rock cakes were harder than most rocks, but the clotted cream was good and so was the hot tea. Once Angelina was sufficiently warm, she took advantage of Hagrid’s knowledge of the Forbidden Forest to ask him a few questions.

“Hagrid, what would someone want in the Forbidden Forest?”

“All sorts o’ stuff really,” Hagrid answered. “Depends what kind o’ person he is.”

“What’s in there that someone would risk going there when there’s a blizzard?” Angelina pressed. The Gryffindor boys’ attentions were on Cupcake, an ironically named brute of a dog, whom Potter tried to teach to play dead.

“Well, I’d only be guessin’, but I reckon it would be summat secretive. Summat he wouldn’ want anyone ter see him get. Tha’s why he’d go out when no one’s about,” Hagrid mused as he poured Emma some more tea. Then he looked up sharply. “Yeh didn’ see someone going out there this morning, did yeh? It’d be deathly out there fer more than an hour, an’ a lot of people get lost if they don’ know the place well.”

“Oh, no,” Angelina quickly lied. “I was just curious about what kind of beasts are out there.”

That was all the invitation Hagrid needed to launch into a long discussion on the beasts of the Forbidden Forests. It was only when Emma said that they’d better get back to the castle to study that Hagrid let them go with an invitation to come back whenever they wished.

“Poor Hagrid,” Emma sighed as she and Angelina entered the Ravenclaw common room. “He seems so lonely down there all by himself. I wonder what happened that made him decide to be a Gamekeeper. He can’t be very old, and he’s not a squib like Filch. I wonder . . .” Emma trailed off in thought and Angelina went upstairs to retrieve her books on invisibility. The two of them spent a pleasant evening in the warmth of the Ravenclaw common room pouring over books.

Angelina’s determination to learn to become invisible renewed with the morning’s episode. She had not forgotten about Slughorn, and was determined to figure out what a comfort-seeking person like him had been doing trudging into the Forbidden Forest in the middle of a blizzard.
Chapter 11 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Home for the Holidays
Chapter Eleven


It was the train ride home for Christmas. Again Angelina and Severus sat sharing a compartment. Emma had gone off to swap Chocolate Frog Cards, so Angelina and Severus, neither of whom collected, had remained in the compartment to read. They sat in content silence; each absorbed in their own book, until a knock on the door broke their peace.


"Is this seat taken?"


Angelina and Severus turned their attention to the intruder. Angelina raised a delicately arched eyebrow as she looked at the boy standing in the doorway.


"All the other compartments are taken," he explained, “or have Mudbloods.”


Angelina felt an odd sort of resentment at the use of the term Mudbloods, but reminded herself that it was just Emma who said it was offensive “ everyone else Angelina knew said Mudblood. Clearly Emma just didn’t yet know how the Wizarding world worked.


"Oh, come in Dolohov. This is Angelina Lestrange. Lena, this is Jerold Dolohov. He is in Slytherin," Severus said in introduction.


"Lestrange? Are you Rodolphus’s little sister?"


"Yes," Angelina responded in a tone that discouraged questions.


The boy was obviously thick as he proceeded to ask, "Why aren't you in Slytherin?"


"What's it to you if she isn't?" Severus intervened. Dolohov cast a frightened look at Severus's wand.


"No-Nothing, just curious."


"Curiosity killed the cat," Angelina retorted, amused by the boy’s fear.


"Mind if we join this little party?" drawled a voice from the door.


In stepped Rodolphus Lestrange, followed by two other fifth years.


"Hello, Snape. Dolohov," Rodolphus greeted, ignoring his sister. "You both know Rowle and Nott, right?"


Dolohov made a strangled noise Angelina assumed was a ‘yes.’ Severus just nodded.


"I hear your family is throwing the Christmas party this year, Dolohov."


"Y-Y-Yes," the boy stammered. He was clearly terrified of his older housemates. Angelina was disgusted. How could a spineless idiot like Dolohov get into Slytherin, while she had only gotten into Ravenclaw? The hat was obviously nutters.


"I bet the Blacks don't come. Their son is a Gryffindor,” spat Rodolphus.


“I’ve heard their still throwing their Christmas Eve party, though. My parents got the letter last week. We don’t know if we’re going, though,” Nott chimed in with contempt.


“If that were my family, I wouldn’t want to be seen in public. Especially with the blood traitor," commented Rodolphus.


"I wouldn’t talk if I were you, Lestrange. Your sister was put in Ravenclaw," drawled a voice from the corridor.


Flushing with embarrassment Rodolphus spat, "Keep your mouth shut about my sister, Rookwood."


Before either boy could reach for their wands, a spell shot out of Severus’s. A needle started stitching the offender's mouth closed. Rookwood's gasps of pain were muffled as his mouth was effectively sealed.


"Yuohlouhpmaweyphouruhthu. Lusustrunj. Snoup,” Rookwood mumbled glaring daggers at Severus and Angelina before slamming the compartment door shut behind him, shattering the glass. Waving her wand, Angelina repaired the door, glared around the room, and went back to her book.


Severus smirked. The rest of the boys, including her brother, looked stunned. Dolohov was more than stunned “ he had wet himself with fright.


~*~


Angelina had only been home three days and she already wished she was back at Hogwarts.


Currently, she was curled up in a small ball in her huge canopy bed. The room did not really feel as though it was hers, since she had never really lived in her family’s country residence where she was now spending Christmas Eve. When she had visited her father and brothers in England, it had mostly been during the summer when they were living in their summer house by the sea. Otherwise she had lived in France . . . with her mother.


It was her mother that was currently plaguing Angelina’s thoughts. Or more precisely her mother’s death.


Generally Angelina managed to keep these thoughts at bay, but this evening while attending the Black’s annual Christmas Eve Party (which, despite Rodolphus’ predictions to the contrary, had turned out to be as much ado as usual) the subject of her mother’s death had arisen.


As was her custom, as soon as she had thanked Mrs. Black for inviting her, Angelina had gone upstairs away from the party to find Andromeda. For, although Narcissa and Angelina might be closer in age, Angelina and Andromeda had always gotten along better.


Angelina had found Andromeda in the library. Both girls were much more comfortable reading then making polite chit-chat.


“Happy Christmas,” Angelina greeted as she walked into the room, drawing Andromeda’s attention away from the book on her lap and to the younger girl standing in the doorway.


“Lena!” was the enthusiastic greeting the older girl cried as she rushed across the room to envelope a startled Angelina in a hug.


“I hear congratulations are in order,” Angelina laughed when the two had finally pulled apart. “Your aunt told me you’re engaged.”


"Mother hopes so. He's a good match. It would strengthen my family's influence in France," Andromeda recited starkly, giving Angelina a small smile that was meant to be reassuring but came off as heart-breaking.


"I'm sorry," Angelina whispered. Sitting down and crossing her feet, Angelina sighed. There was nothing further that needed to be said; both understood.


Wishing to move to safer waters, Andromeda said, "What are you planning to wear tomorrow?"


The younger girl shrugged delicately. "You?"


"Well I visited Paris before I came back. I bought . . ." Andromeda trailed off as the blood drained from the younger girl’s face. "Oh, Angelina I'm so sorry."


"It's nothing. Please continue, I would like to hear about Paris. Did you stop by Dominique's?"


"I was only there for a day, I didn't have time. Why don't you owl her?"


"What would I say?” Angelina paused before continuing. “She was more your friend than mine. Anyway, I doubt her mother would even allow her to respond. They all know it wasn’t an accident.”


“Lena,” Andromeda said, looking stricken. “You don’t know that. You can’t listen to what those gossips say.”


But Angelina did know. Her mother had committed suicide. It sure hadn’t been an accident. Her mother might have dealt a great deal with experimental charms and curses, but she hadn’t been stupid.


No, Angelina thought as she lay in bed. Her mother had been many things but she hadn’t been stupid.
Chapter 12 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Startling Surprises
Chapter Twelve

Christmas day dawned wet and cold. The snow that had been predicted had turned out to be a steady drizzle that froze to ice on the roads and trees.


The Lestrange Chateau was rather dour. Rabastan had decided to stay at Durmstrang over the holidays, and Rodolphus was spending it at Bode's Abode in London, although he would be present at the party that evening. Mr. Lestrange was locked away in his private quarters. Having thus been left to her own devices, Angelina Lestrange decided to celebrate Christmas in the Blue Room, as it was the most cheery of the rooms in the fortress.


The part of the castle the Blue Room was in dated back to medieval times when the building had served as a stronghold for the family to evacuate to in times of trouble. With its magical barriers and sheer structural magnitude, the Lestrange Chateau had withstood many a Wizarding and Muggle battle. And while its architecture was no doubt ideal for wartime, it did not particularly lend itself to brighter occasions.


However, the house-elves had done their best to make the Blue Room as cheerful as possible. They had slaved the whole night to infuse the room with a bit of holiday festivity. And they hadn’t all together failed.


At least the portraits of Muggle torture that had previously decorated the walls had been taken down and replaced with strands of evergreen that glittered with white fairy lights glowing on their branches. A beautiful tree, that must have taken them hours to decorate, stood sparkling in a corner next the crackling fire. And the gargoyles on the mantle (that had scare Angelina as a child) had been given merry red hats that almost made their bared teeth look like smiles rather than snarls.


Best of all, they had laid a beautiful pile of presents under the tree. Angelina knew her father had sent an elf out to get them for her, but still it was nice. Only poor people said it was the thought that counted, Angelina reminded herself. The wealthy knew better; money could solve anything according to her father. Anyway, she had Chloe and Twinkle to celebrate the holiday with.


“Would you like to pull a cracker?” Angelina asked Twinkle, gesturing towards the bowl of crackers that had been placed on the table in front of the couch. Next to them sat a large glittering hat and some crumpled wrapping paper.


“Oh, no, Miss Angelina. You is knowing how those things is scaring your poor Twinkle,” Twinkle declared with a shiver.


Angelina tossed the cracker back in the bowl with the rest, sighed, glanced at the clock, and slumped back against the couch, dispassionately picking up a book that lay beside her. She gazed in disinterest at the letters, but did not try to read.


“Miss should not slouch so. It will make Miss humpbacked,” Twinkle reprimanded with the authority that comes with having changed someone’s nappies. She had been Angelina’s nursemaid when Angelina was a baby living in England. And while Twinkle had not gone to France with the Mistress; she had sent her daughter, Tinky, to look after the Little Miss. Tinky had killed herself after witnessing the Mistress’ suicide. Miss Angelina had come back to England, where it was once again Twinkle’s job to take care of her.


"Oh, don't nag, Twinkle," Angelina said, but she sat up straighter all the same.


"And," Twinkle continued, "If Miss does not stop stalling she will be more than just stylishly late for her party. Yes, she will. Then Twinkle will never be hearing the end of it from Master Lestrange."


"Alright, alright," Angelina grumbled. "I'm going, but I'm not wearing that ridiculous hat."


She stated pointing to the glittering gold hat that lay at the end of the table.


"Oh, yes Miss must!" squeaked Twinkle. "Master Lestrange is giving Miss that hat as her Christmas present, and Miss is to wear it. Whether Miss Angelina likes it or not."


Angelina glowered down at Twinkle, but the old house-elf, who had raised two Lestrange children already, just snapped her fingers two times and the hat came twirling through the air to land with a gentle plop on Angelina’s head.


"All right, but I'm taking it off as soon as I get there," Angelina grumbled.


Twinkle ignored that and chirped, "Here. Since Miss is to take the Floo, she will be needing protection, she will."


After casting a protective charm on Angelina so that she would not mess up her appearance while traveling, the house-elf shoved her mistress over to the fire.


Picking up a parcel from atop the mantel, Angelina turned to face the fire as Twinkle fished in the many pockets of the hot pad that made up her apron for the Floo Powder. Angelina sighed. She disliked using the Floo Network, as it was both unstylish and messy. However, there was no one for her to Apparate along side of, and Apparition was a magical activity very closely monitored. And very dangerous. Even purebloods did not attempt to break the underage law for this.


“Is Miss ready?” Twinkle demanded as she produced a bottle of Floo Powder. Angelina nodded and soon she was stepping into the green flames and hurtling off to London.


She came out in the Floo Room, a room most well-to-do Wizards had as there was a certain amount of ash and smoke that came along with that sort of travel. Angelina had arrived late enough that the room was deserted. She pulled off the ridiculous hat and stashed it behind a cluster of coats then took a few minutes to tidy herself up by the looking glass, for no matter what Twinkle did her hair always seemed to be in a disarray after Flooing.


“You look charming,” the mirror complimented, which Angelina assumed it was under orders to do.


She glance once more around the room, noticing snobbishly that the mantel was not made out of true marble but simply a cheap synthetic material; threw her reflection one last piercing gaze (to which the mirror replied “lovely”) and exited.


Dolohov's house was a stark contrast to the Lestrange's. Warm and cheery, it was full of people. Angelina saw the boy from the train whom Severus had introduced as Jerold. At the moment he was being praise by a doting plump woman that was his mother, Mrs. Dolohov.


She made a quick stop by Mr. or Mrs. Dolohov to thank them for inviting her, telling them some conventional something about how lovely their party was, apologizing that her father could not make it, and delivering her family’s present.


“And there’s a table full of treats and sweats over in the next room,” Mrs. Dolohov told Angelina, motioning down the hall. “That’s where most of the children are. Feel free to wander about, but stay on the ground floor. That’s where the party is, and Mr. Dolohov has some nasty security charms on the stairs”in case of burglars. We wouldn’t want you to spend your holiday in Saint Mungo’s.”


“Thank you so much, Mrs. Dolohov,” Angelina intoned respectfully.


“Well off you go, and tell your father it was so nice of him to give us that bottle of wine. Mr. Dolohov is quite an avid collector of fine wine.”


Angelina hurried away before Mrs. Dolohov could trap her in a long conversation on the subject of wine. She quickly made her way through the crowd of adults, trying to find Severus. He hadn’t said he was coming, but most families did. However, she couldn’t find him. Instead she ran into the last person she had expected to see.


It was Emma. She was standing off in a corner, pulling nervously at the sleeve of her dress. When she saw Angelina she smiled.


“I thought you might be here. My aunt said your family had been invited.”


Angelina stared blankly. “What are you doing here? They’ll hurt you if they find out what you are. Come on I’ve got to get you out of here. Don’t you know these people hate Muggles?” Angelina panicked as she grabbed hold of Emma’s arm. “You didn’t bring your mother did you?” Angelina asked, looking frantically about.


“Calm down, Lena. Mum’s at home with Chip. I’m here with my dad’s family. My aunt insisted I come. It is not wise to . . . well.” Emma paused. “I brought you a present.”


Angelina took it but didn’t open it. She felt as if she had just been Confunded. All she could do was state the obvious. “I thought you were a Mud “ ”


“A Muggle-born?” Emma cut in. “No. My mum was a Muggle. I grew up with her. She and my father fell madly in love when they were kids . . . but, well, it was a bit of a star-crossed lovers thing. They divorced when I was two; it was a terrible scandal.”


“Why’d she stay here? I mean, why didn’t she go back to America?”


“Chip. He was her director, on stage. And he’s English . . . so.”



“If your family lives here, why don’t you live with your father?”


“They weren’t sure I’d be a witch. And my dad’s career…well he couldn’t have a ‘Squib.’ That is the right word, isn’t it?”


Angelina just nodded dumbly.


“But when I got my letter . . . well now my dad’s family thinks it best if they introduce me to the Wizarding world. My dad’s very busy with his career, so I mainly stay with my aunt. She always wanted a daughter, and she only got one son.”


“Who’s your aunt’s family?”


“The Malfoys.”


“You’re related to Lucius Malfoy!”


“Yeah, he’s my cousin,” Emma said nonchalantly.


“Well, why aren’t you in Slytherin?”


“Only my aunt was in Slytherin. My father was a Gryffindor. He was a little disappointed that I was in Ravenclaw. But it wasn’t unexpected that I was in Ravenclaw “ a lot of my relatives were.”


“Why didn’t you tell me all this before?” Angelina snarled. Now that the information was sinking in, she was angry and a little hurt that Emma hadn’t told her.


“You never asked,” Emma snapped back in defense.


“And you just let me make a fool out of myself. Having a good laugh with everyone else behind my back.”


Angelina was really mad now.


“I never told anyone,” Emma fired back.


“I can’t believe I thought you were my friend,” Angelina bit out without thinking.


“Oh, I was your friend, was I? I thought Mudbloods couldn’t be friends with the mighty Angelina Lestrange, who has a name going back all the way to the Gold Book,” Emma growled, throwing Angelina’s words back in her face.


“Well, maybe you’re right. Here,” Angelina spat, shoving the present back at Emma.


“You know what your problem is, Lena? You always think you know everything, don’t you?”


“Well, you never thought about them. All I ever saw was you and your mother. There wasn’t any thoughts about“ ” Angelina suddenly dropped off, the blood draining from her face.


“What do you mean never ‘thought’?” Emma’s voice was much lower now.


“Nothing. It just came out wrong is all,” Angelina muttered, trying to step away.


“No, I don’t think so,” Emma countered, stepping in front of Angelina, blocking her way.


“Well, that hardly matters. Now, will you let me get by?”


“No. You read my mind,” Emma accused raising her voice.


“Will you shut up?” Angelina hissed, dragging Emma further into the corner.


“You can read minds,” Emma repeated dumbly.


Angelina looked frantically around, but it didn’t appear anyone had heard. Grabbing Emma’s hand, Angelina dragged her down the hall and into the nearest empty room, which happened to be the Floo Room. She pulled Emma behind a rack of coats. It was not until she had cast a silencing charm around them that Angelina whispered, “It’s not really mind reading. Well, at least not like a book. I don’t just flip through the pages and find answers. I don’t get to pick.”


“Huh?”


“It’s like walking by someone who is humming. You don’t pick what they’re humming, you just hear it. It’s the same with me and minds. Well, I don’t necessarily ‘hear.’ Sometimes it’s words, other times it’s more like images. Sometimes I pick up what someone is thinking about. Usually they’re really nervous or sad . . . or angry. Just emotional.”


“So you can’t control it?”


“Well, not really. I just found a book on it in my family’s library. There’s this thing called Occlumency that helps me block it. Otherwise I’m an open unit, I can pick up others thoughts but . . . well, it would be really easy for someone to do the same to me. I even absorb poisons and probably a lot of other nasty stuff.”


“Is that why you fainted the first day of classes?”


“Yeah. It turns out that, according to this book, people can build up their ability to read minds to a point where they can look for certain bits of information. But it’s really dangerous, if it’s just happening naturally. According to the book there are two types of Legilimens: those that have to learn it and those that it just happens ‘naturally’ for. If it happens ‘naturally’ it’s really volatile because the more you’re able to receive the more open and vulnerable you are. The book recommends not searching specifically for things, as the more you search the more vulnerable you become.”


“But you can’t find out certain things.”


“No, not without a wand. If you know what you’re doing you can use a spell and well . . . I don’t know. I’m still reading.”


“So, well . . . how long have you been able to . . .”


“Oh, always.”


“So your parents know.”


“No. Not my father. My mother knew. But you can’t tell people.”


“Why not?”


“It’s not something normal. I mean it’s not a common ability, even among wizards and witches. It’s thought of as, if not a dark art, something not to be messed with. It’s too invasive. If people knew I could . . . without a spell . . . You can’t tell anyone, Emma. No one.”


“No. I promise. I won’t.”


Angelina smiled shakily. “Well, I suppose you weren’t the only one with a secret.”


“I’m sorry for not telling you.”


“I’m sorry for being so mean. It’s just . . . I didn’t want my family to think I was a Blood-Traitor. Why didn’t you tell me about your family before? I wouldn’t have had to pretend to dislike you.”


“I don’t know. I guess I didn’t want you to like me just because I wasn’t a Muggle-born. I wanted us to be friends.”


“Well, I wouldn’t mind. If you want. It’s nice having someone who knows, although I think the sorting hat guessed, and maybe even Madam Pomfrey. I’ve never talked about it. Do you think we can share things like this? You know, talk about things important to us?”


Angelina had never had anyone she could trust before, and the thought that she knew someone now was rather heady. She felt as if she had just drunk a whole lot of Butterbeer.


“I’d like that,” Emma said smiling. “Here, you never opened my present.” Emma handed over the brightly rapped parcel.


“Oh.” Angelina looked down at her hands. “Uh, I didn’t bring a present for you . . .”


“Go ahead and open it.”


“Sure. Thanks.”


“You haven’t even seen it. It could be bubotuber pus for all you know.”


Angelina smiled. “You wouldn’t do that.”


“Wouldn’t I? You should ask Potter and Black what they got for Christmas. I co-signed your name. I hope you won’t mind.”


Angelina laughed out loud and hugged Emma. Emma looked slightly startled before hugging Angelina back.


“Thanks,” Angelina whispered, and she wasn’t referring to the present. It was nice”this friend thing.
Chapter 13 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Peculiar Proceedings

Chapter 13


It was, without a doubt, the most exciting Christmas Angelina had ever had.


She sighed in contentment as she riffled through the top drawer of her dresser. It was in there somewhere, she remembered placing it there when she had helped Twinkle unpack her trunk on her first day back from Hogwarts. Having emptied her drawer of all its socks, she tapped the bottom of the drawer with her wand tip and whispered the password. Silently, the false bottom of the drawer melted away to reveal the hidden compartment beneath. There was nothing of real secrecy there, just a couple of trinkets and souvenirs: a small book with a collection of stories from Prague, a leaf from a manuscript that detailed the beauty secrets of Cleopatra, a silk scarf that disappeared when worn and reappeared when taken off, a gold coin from Romania, a miniature of the Eiffel tower, and a few other odds and ends.


She picked up a set of Tarot cards from beneath a postcard of the Parthenon that her mother had sent her from one of her many trips. Angelina spread the Tarot cards out on her bed and searched though them until she found the card that did not belong. It was not a Tarot card like the rest of the deck, but a Chocolate Frog Card. The card was of Alberic Grunnion, the one she had stolen from her brother on her first trip to Hogwarts. At the time she had decided to sell it, but she now had a better use for the card: she had a friend to send it to. Angelina beamed as she glanced over her shoulder at the handsome leather bound book laying on her nightstand. It was a collector’s item; there were only 100 copies in existence, and it contained the secrets of many of the greatest magical achievements in history. One hundred pages of the book were dedicated to invisibility.


“It’s to make up for the Saturday I took you out sledding instead of allowing you to research invisibility. I’m sure you’ll be able to find all you need to know on the subject and more in this book,” Emma had explained when Angelina had, with slightly trembling hands, removed the wrapping.


Angelina’s gush of gratitude had been cut short however, as at that moment the fireplace had filled with green flame and several adults stepped out into the Floo Room.


“Well, do you bring any news from abroad?” a voice had boomed almost before the group had even entered.


Emma, who had been about to move from behind the rack of coats, stopped, and glanced at Angelina. The two exchanged looks, silently agreeing to stay and hear this “news from abroad.” Angelina had long since learned that one often discovered a great deal more from listening to adults than asking them anything.


“Be patient,” came a second voice. “We must be careful of prying ears. Not all approve of our goals.”


“The idiots,” a third voice hissed in derision.


“I agree,” the second voice said, after casting a Silencing Charm around the room, but not bothering with anything else (as it was the house of a fellow sympathizer after all). Luckily for Angelina and Emma this meant they could still eavesdrop. “But we cannot be too careful. Our Lord says that we are not yet to reveal our full force.”


“Why does he wait?” the first voice asked, sounding frustrated. “We should strike now. The time has come. I am sick of waiting and creeping around as if I were doing something wrong. It is“”


“Do you doubt the Dark Lord?” the third voice cried in outrage. “He who is the most powerful of all wizards, greater and more powerful than you could ever be. He who has attained things you could not even dream of!”


“You know I didn’t mean it like that, Bellatrix,” the first voice whined, cowering in fear. “I am our Lord’s faithful servant. I only meant that . . . I was simply saying . . . It’s just . . .”


“You are an idiot, Rosier, to question Lord Voldemort, the only man to ever conqueror death,” Bellatrix spat derisively, venom in her voice.


“So it’s true,” the second voice whispered. “He has truly conquered death? He has gained immortality?”


“Yes,” Bellatrix answered. “The Dark Lord has not been idle while he has been away.”


“But now that he has gained immortality, will he return? Will he lead us to victory? It is time that the balance was restored,” the second stated his voice growing passionate.


The owner of the first voice, Avery, cleared his throat as if to speak, but Bellatrix cut in.


“The Dark Lord has sent me back to build up his force in England. We need more Death Eaters before we can act. There are many who sympathize with our cause“we must recruit them. Many of them are at this very party; tonight will be a perfect opportunity.”


“We should go,” the second voice commented. “We are already late for the party.”


“Yes, and be sure to tell your friends,” Bellatrix reminded as they stepped towards the door. “The Death Eaters will rule when the Dark Lord rises to power.”


And with that the group dismissed their protective barriers and went to join the party, leaving a shocked Angelina and Emma crouched behind a large bookshelf.


Angelina rose, moving over to the pair of leather chairs clustered in a corner of the Floo Room and partially obscured by a temporary row of coat racks, her arms clutching the large leather book to her chest as a young child might hold a beloved teddy bear for comfort. Emma followed, collapsing into the chair next to Angelina. They sat in silence for a little while digesting what they had just heard.

“Whoever this bloke is, he’s hardly original. I mean ‘the Dark Lord,’ how clichéd is that?” Angelina said flippantly, breaking the silence. “Who goes around calling himself the Dark Lord?”


“Well, he did conquer death,” Emma pointed out.


“Did he? I wonder . . .” Angelina whispered pensively, more to herself than anyone else. “It could be more of a rallying point than actual fact. It’s been a common enough ploy throughout history because who’s going to oppose someone who can’t be killed? But no one’s ever really done it. Conquer death, that is. Immortality is impossible. Death is just part of life, and really who would want to go on living forever? Postponement is possible, but even Ignotus Peverell didn’t live forever.”


“Ignotus Peverell?”


“Oh, he’s just a mythical man who outsmarted Death. He asked Death for a cloak of invisibility so that even Death could not find him.”


“Does such a thing exist?” Emma questioned, intrigued.


“There’s no evidence of it.”


“Well, what about the Philosopher’s Stone?”


“If you mean have people succeeded in making it, then yes. But only a very few. And even if this ‘Dark Lord’ has one, it doesn’t make him immortal. It simply postpones death while the person drinks it, and it doesn’t protect against the Killing Curse. But I suppose if one uses the word ‘immortal’ loosely . . .” Angelina trailed of lost in her own musings on the qualifications of “immortality.”


“Well, what else could it be?” Emma asked, recalling Angelina to the present.


“I don’t know,” she admitted, frowning. “But it’s hardly the main point of the matter anyway. It’s clear these ‘Death Eaters,’ or whatever absurd name they’re calling themselves by, believe that he is. I mean, to listen to Bellatrix, you would think this Lord Moldywart had learnt to walk on water or something.”


“Like conquer death?” Emma quipped.


“Anyway, they’re planning something. I think they’re going to take over the Ministry. You heard what they were saying about the Death Eaters ruling when the Big Fungus returned from wherever he’s been vacationing.”


“Why would they want to take over the Ministry?”


“I don’t know, one of them said something about ‘restoring the natural order of things,’ but what that means . . .”


The two girls trailed off into thought. Angelina had a nagging suspicion that she did know what “restoring the natural order meant.” She had heard both her parents use such phrases when talking about “those filthy Mudbloods” and “ignorant Muggles.” Angelina only hoped she was wrong as she glanced over at Emma, who was frowning, deep in thought.


“Why don’t we look in the book and see if it has anything on immortality.”


“Yeah,” Emma agreed looking a little brighter.


But Angelina had just flipped open the book and was perusing the table of contents when the door burst open again. This time it was not a group of Dark wizards looking to discuss their master. It was something much worse.


“Emma!” called a woman’s voice. “Are you in here?”


Emma groaned quietly and mouthed “my aunt” to Angelina.


“We’re back here,” she called, her hands reaching up subconsciously to comb her hair, and then down to smooth her skirt.


“There you are. What on earth are you doing stuffed behind all these coats” her aunt cried in exasperation, but was distracted when her eyes fell on Angelina. “Oh, and you must be Angelina. Happy Christmas. I hope you like the book; Emma spent hours picking it out.”


Emma blushed at this.


“It’s brilliant. Thank you very much,” Angelina responded politely.


“Emma, why don’t you and Angelina come out to the party”it’s the polite thing to do, you know. Not sulk in here with that book. You Ravenclaws, impossible to extract from your books even during the winter holidays,” Mrs. Malfoy rebuked sternly, but not unkindly. “Come on Emma, you can introduce Angelina to Lucius and his friends.”


The girls dutifully followed Mrs. Malfoy to greet the rest of the Malfoy family. And despite having just overheard a plot to take over the Wizarding world, Angelina had felt surprisingly cheerful. Maybe it was the mulled mead, or perhaps it was just having a friend to stand beside, but the evening had passed in a pleasant blur.


A faint hooting sound recalled Angelina to the present.


Smiling slightly, she looked down at her hands and realized she had finished wrapping the parcel. Tabby, a distinguished looking barn owl, was standing next to it looking ready to be off.


“All right, all right,” Angelina appeased the owl as she tied the parcel to Tabby’s foot. “Take this to Emma Hope,” she instructed, and she opened the slit-like window. A gust of cold air blew into the room accompanied by a few snowflakes and a moment later a light grey owl had squeezed itself through the slot. Tabby only glanced briefly at this new arrival before taking off.


Angelina moved quickly over to the owl as Chloe, Angelina's cat, was eyeing the new bird appraisingly from edge of the bed. The owl was standing perfectly still with a glittering gold package sparkling in the glow from the single candle on Angelina’s nightstand. No sooner had Angelina loosed the tie than the bird flew off, gracefully soaring into the cold Christmas sky and out of sight.


Curiously, Angelina pulled the white bow apart and drew off the gold lid of the box to reveal soft white tissue paper. Carefully unfolding it, she looked in awe at the diamond necklace sparkling softly in its box. A tiny cream card lay on top of the box. Angelina reached for it, carefully avoiding touching the diamonds, and turned the card over to see who this generous gift was from. All the card said was: With Love.
Chapter 14 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Fair and Foul
Chapter 14


Angelina returned to Hogwarts with more than she’d had when she left. There was, of course, the usual addition of Christmas presents as well as a few books on Occlumency from her father’s library. But her trunk held more than the standard items students packed, for deep in the recesses of her trunk, laying next to the gold box with the diamond necklace, was a small chest with a large lock, from which an angry boggart struggled to escape.


This brought the total number of boggarts that the members of D.A.G. (Despisers of Arrogant Gryffindors) had collected up to one, which meant they still needed to capture at least one more. Angelina shared this news with the other members of D.A.G. at dinner on the Sunday before the start of term.


“Great,” Snape said as he rose from the table. “I have to be off; I’ve not finished all my work yet.”


Angelina frowned and glanced up at Severus in confusion; he was usually the first to start his assignments. For a second she thought about trying to probe his thoughts, but decided against it when she remembered the dangers the book had warned of.


“Yeah, see you tomorrow,” she said, but Severus was already halfway across the room. She turned back to Emma who was still finishing off her pudding.


“Did you have a good rest of the holiday?” Emma asked, and after glancing around added in a lower voice. “You didn’t learn anything more about the Big Fungus?”


The Big Fungus was their code name for the Dark Lord, Moldywort.


“No nothing.”


“Oh.” Emma sighed, and pushed her plate away, rising to leave. “I was hoping something exciting would happen to you.”


“Well, something exciting did, although it had nothing to do with the Big Fungus,” Angelina confessed as they made their way out of the Great Hall.


“Oh, what?” Emma asked excitedly.


“Uh,” Angelina paused, casting her eyes down in embarrassment and scuffing her toes as she walked. “On Christmas night, shortly after I sent you the Chocolate Frog card “”


“Oh, thanks by the way.”


“Sure. What was I going to do with it anyway? But as I was saying, on that night just after I had sent Tabby to you, I got a package,” Angelina mumbled, looking furtively up through her lashes at Emma.


“Ooooh, what was it?”


“It was a diamond necklace, but that wasn’t the weird thing,” Angelina rushed on getting to the reason she had brought it up at all. “It wasn’t addressed”no sign of who sent it or anything.”


She left out the part about the “with love” note. It sounded too corny.


“Oh, you should be careful“it could be cursed. Really, Lena, it might strangle you when you wear it, or, or control you…or something.”


Angelina smiled; Emma was certainly catching on to how the Wizarding world worked.


“That’s what I thought originally too. But Twinkle looked over it”she is very skilled in that sort of thing”and she saw nothing. We even tested it on the Ghoul. It’s perfectly safe.”


Angelina turned to Emma to see if she was as mystified by this turn of events as Angelina was, but the girl was smiling maniacally instead.


“You’ve got a secret admirer,” Emma sang.


“I do not!” Angelina cried indignantly.


“Oh, you don’t do you? Why else would someone send an expensive diamond necklace to you?”


“I don’t know. That’s why I told you. Maybe it’s a prank,” Angelina mused, frowning in consternation.


“A prank? Where’s the punch line? No, it’s a secret admirer. I don’t know why you’re so opposed to the idea. It’s rather romantic. I wonder who it could be…You don’t suppose Snape?”


“Uh, you’re joking, right?”


“Well, you are really similar and all.”


Angelina gave her an incredulous look.


“He uses second-hand books.”


“Oh, alright. Maybe not. Still, no one else really even likes you.” Emma blushed, realizing how cruel her words could sound. “I don’t mean it like that.”


Angelina shrugged. “I don’t really care.”


They reached the common room door.


“How do Muggles fly?” asked the door.


Angelina frowned and glanced over at Emma. “Muggles fly?”


“They fly in airplanes,” Emma explained and the door swung open.


“Oh, there you are,” Jonathan Clearwater called as the two girls entered the room. They looked over at him in surprise, wondering what he could want.


“Hello, Jonathan,” Angelina greeted primly, as Jonathan strolled over half a pumpkin pasty still in his hands as he gazed at Angelina


“You should call me Jon, Angelina. I know I’ve said this a million times.”


“Alright. Hello, Jon,” Angelina repeated, feeling awkward.


He did not seem to feel the same; he beamed comically down at her as if she had just said something particularly witty.


“I just wanted to invite you, uh, and your friend,” here he paused slightly as if searching to remember Emma’s name, but obviously had no luck as he continued, “to the Ravenclaw/Gryffindor game this Sunday.”


“Uh, I’m not“” Angelina began, but was cut off by Emma.


“We’d love to go.” She beamed at the older Ravenclaw.


Angelina wanted to argue differently, but Emma had gripped her hand and was squeezing it hard.


“I play Keeper,” Jonathan shared proudly.


“That’s nice,” Angelina commented, forcing a smile after receiving two hard squeezes from Emma.


“We’ll see you there!” Emma called cheerfully over her shoulder as she dragged her mutinous friend up the stairs to the dormitory.


Jonathan Clearwater waved vaguely to the retreating girls, popping the rest of the sweet into his mouth.


Once inside, Emma turned around to face Angelina and squealed, “Oh! He’s your secret admirer.”


“Who? Jonathan?” Angelina’s face turned from angry to bemused. “He’s five years older.”


“One can’t govern the affairs of the heart. Look at my mum and Chuck. He’s at least 20 years older.”


“Oh, that’s foolish, and anyway who cares about love? It’s a silly emotion. One should be governed by the head, not the heart.”


Emma rolled her eyes. “I don’t feel up to arguing about this right now. Besides, I was going to make you go to the game on Sunday anyway”we haven’t gone to one yet. It’ll be fun.”


So that Sunday, Emma dragged Angelina down to the Great Hall much earlier than Angelina would have otherwise gone. Emma had also insisted upon making a sign which read “Ravenclaw: soaring to great heights.”


Angelina took a seat at the edge of the table, hoping to avoid contact with Jonathan Clearwater as the Ravenclaw team was still eating breakfast. She had just taken her first sip of tea when someone approached from behind.


“Angelina.”


She tensed as she heard the all too familiar voice.


“What do you want, Black?”


“Just wanted to see how your holidays went. I enjoyed the present the two of you sent Potter and me by the way. My house-elf had to keep his hands bandaged for a week.”


“What!” Emma cried. “That was supposed to be for you.”


Black smirked, “Glad to hear you both care so much about my health, but unfortunately Kreacher is in charge of checking packages for dangerous contents. Trust me, compared to that shrinking hat that the Muggle-born activists sent Dad a couple of years back, the bubotuber puss was positively nothing.”


Emma still looked like she wanted to cry.


“Don’t worry,” Black appeased. “It barely hurt him. Kreacher was more upset that he had failed to detect it than anything.”


“So it didn’t hurt you at all?” Emma whined.


Black laughed. “Oh, don’t worry that your hard work went for nothing. James wasn’t so fortunate. People don’t hate his parents. No, it got all over his hands. He hasn’t stopped moaning,” he said, sliding onto the bench next to Emma and across from Angelina. He grabbed a plate and started spooning eggs onto his plate.


“You’re not eating here,” Anglina squeaked in surprise.


“I am. Here you go,” he said as he piled a second plate with food and placed it in front of Angelina. “You should eat something. It’s the most important meal of the day, you know.”


“And you know that I hate breakfast.”


“I know, but a little fruit wouldn’t hurt and maybe a scone. Come on, I didn’t even give you any eggs.”


“Why don’t you go sit with Potter and try to get him to eat. Leave me alone,” Angelina commanded.


“James doesn’t need me to feed him. “Arbutum Leviosa,” Black said pointing his wand a Angelina’s orange sections and levitating one up to float by her mouth, until she grabbed it in irritation from the air.


“Besides,” he continued. “He and Pettigrew are…sleeping.”


A second orange wedge was rising, Angelina snatched it from the air and barked, “I’m quiet capable of feeding myself, Black.”


“I’m not doubting your capability, Angelina.”


Scowling, Angelina twitched her wand and whispered “Leviosa,” flicking some eggs off Black’s plate and onto his lap. Whether this would have deteriorated into a food fight remains a mystery, for Jonathan Clearwater chose that moment to materialize at Angelina’s side.


He was beaming down at her.


“I’m glad you came,” he smiled at her.


“Uh, yeah,” Angelina responded feeling awkward once again, and trailed off into silence before receiving a harsh kick from underneath the table. She glanced in confusion at Emma who was staring at her with an odd intensity and not blinking. Shrugging, Angelina was about to turn back to her scone but noticed Jonathan was still standing next to her looking oddly dazed.


“Well, uh, good luck. Hope you win.”


“Thanks, Angelina, I’ll see you after the game,” he called as he and the rest of the team exited the Great Hall.


“What’s wrong with that bloke?” Black asked as he picked up a piece of bacon and started munching on it.


Emma giggled. “He invited Lena to the Quidditch match.”


“As I take it, anyone can go to the matches; it’s hardly an invites-only sort of thing.”


“Whatever, maybe it’ll be fun. Emma keeps promising me I’ll love it.”


What! You’re going to the game?” Black said incredulously.


“Yes,” Angelina shot back.


“But you hate Quidditch.”


“She’s had a change of heart,” Emma defended.


Black was scowling heavily.


“Really?” he said, looking to Angelina for conformation.


“Yep,” Emma interrupted cheerfully. “Angelina has become very interested in the game, or more precisely, a certain Keeper.”


“Emma”that is ridiculous,” Angelina spluttered.


“Alright. Maybe a certain Keeper has become interested in you.”


“That’s preposterous,” Angelina argued, turning red.


Suddenly, Black stood, pushing the bench violently back and walked away as the two Ravenclaw girls argued about Angelina’s feelings or lack of feelings towards the game of Quidditch and the Ravenclaw Keeper.


Angelina was not speaking to Emma as they made their way down to the stadium.


“Oh, come on Lena. I was only teasing. Don’t be such a Pettigrew.”


“Speaking of Pettigrew, where do you think he and Potter were this morning?”


“Didn’t Black say they were in their dormitory?”


“Even if he did, doesn’t mean it’s true. I think they must have been up to something and Black was there to make sure we stayed in the Great Hall.


“Oh, Lena, you are so paranoid. You’re getting worse than Snape.”


“What’s wrong with Severus?”


“Nothing . . . besides always thinking Potter, Black, Pettigrew and Lupin are always up to something.”


“They usually are.”


“Well, the other day, Severus purposed that Lupin was a werewolf.”


But before they could discuss the lunacy of this theory, they entered the crowded stadium and spent the next few minutes fighting for two empty seats. Winded and panting slightly, Angelina and Emma finally collapsed into their seats seconds before Abe Aclebe, dressed in referee robes, flew out onto the pitch and started the game.


Angelina tried to pick up the subject again, but Emma hushed her quiet.


Quidditch was even more boring than Angelina had expected and pretty soon she was praying for the end. However, halfway through, Angelina got all the excitement she could have possibly wanted.


When it happened, Ravenclaw was down 0-50, which was a pretty respectable score for Ravenclaw. The Quaffle was on the Ravenclaw side of the pitch in Gryffindor possession, and as the Quaffle soared into the goal, the afternoon sky burst into color. Fantastic fireworks exploded everywhere as the commentator’s voice, which had been a dry monotonous drone of the events of the match, started shouting in excitement.


“It appears some Gryffindor pranksters have decided to let off some steam! And what better way to celebrate their teams triumphant thrashing of the Ravenclaw team than a burst of House colors,” The commentator cried, his voice brimming with poorly suppressed mirth. “And what is this?”


The stadium had become transfixed on the fireworks display; even the players were craning their necks to look above them. Another explosion issued out two burning bright figures, a weak eagle pursued by a gigantic lion streamed across the pitch, ending in an explosion of red and gold sparks as the lion swallowed the eagle. Upon the explosion, a song burst forth from an unidentified source that was impossible to pinpoint as it was soon taken up by the entire Gryffindor section.


Eagles may be meant to soar,
But lions are meant to score,
With our brave thunderous roar
We’ll send eagles flying for the door.


We Gryffindors are strong and brave,
And with ease the Quaffle we do save,
Poor Clearwater is a nice bloke,
But as a Keeper he is a joke.
He is really awful
At saving the Quaffle.



The announcer, clearly a Gryffindor supporter, soon had the whole stadium singing along.


The match continued but the fireworks did not stop. And the match was punctuated with more rude songs, many of which particularly picked on Jonathan Clearwater.


It was after a particularly nasty verse”involving the words Jonathan, pass, and a certain part of the human anatomy”that Emma leaned over to Angelina and hissed, “We’ve got to do something.”


“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Angelina said. “Abe would have me in detention for the rest of my life. I just finished serving my last of them.”


It was true. Abe Aclebe, who was looking thoroughly put out, had been casting dirty glances at Angelina since the display had begun and she knew he was trying to blame her for it. But even that would be a little too much for Abe, as it was her house the fireworks were bashing.


“Come on, Lena. Please. You know it’s the ABOG’s,” Emma pleaded referring to the Annoying Boys of Gryffindor.


“Alright, but it better be worth it.”


Thus Angelina and Emma made their way down underneath the stands hoping to at least put an end to the fireworks.


Angelina had a sinking suspicion that she knew who was behind the prank, and if she was right (as she usually was) this would mean she and Emma would be out numbered one to two. Thus, as they entered the wooden passageways running under the seats, Angelina pulled out her wand and held it at the ready. Emma followed suit, and the two girls proceeded through the skeleton of the stands.


It did not take them long to locate the source of the fireworks, and as Angelina had expected, there stood four boys: Black, Potter, Lupin, and Pettigrew. The boys did not immediately notice them as they were preparing the next set of fireworks. Angelina and Emma waited, looking for the right opportunity. Silently, the two girls crept forward to listen to the boys’ conversation.


“The prat,” Black was ranting. “Can you believe it? He’s twice her age.”


“Come off it, Sirius. He just asked her to the game. He’s not even sitting with her. And with these fireworks, I hardly think he is impressing her. I mean . . .”


“I don’t think you-”


But before Black could say more Pettigrew was hollering “Expelliarmus!”


The girls had been spotted. Angelina, caught off guard, just barely managed to block it as she and Emma dodged behind a post.


“It’s them!” Pettigrew cried, as the three other boys drew their wands.


“Just Angelina and Hope?” Black asked. “Or is Snivellous with them too?”


“Snivellous doesn’t like Quidditch. I doubt he’d come,” Potter speculated, as the three boys edged closer to their opponents.


They were almost on them, Angelina thought. Glancing at Emma, Angelina nodded. Simultaneously they darted out from behind their post. Angelina shouted ”Petrify!” as she fired curses at Black and Lupin. She didn’t know what Emma was up to until Lupin fell, hit by the full Body-Bind that Pettigrew had deflected.


However, Angelina and Emma quickly had to go on the defensive, coming back together to position their backs to the post. Angelina concocted a bubble around them, blocking the curses raining down on them.


“You fire. I’ll hold,” Angelina shouted to Emma, concentrating hard on retaining the spell.


Potter was the next to fall. Hungry for the kill, he had ventured too close. Black and Pettigrew, separated by the mound of fireworks, had started to backup, hoping to get back together.


Angelina knew that once they did join forces, they too could form a protective barrier”resulting in a stalemate.


“We can’t let them meet,” Angelina cried.


“You take Black. I’ll take Pettigrew.”


And with that, Angelina dropped the shield and sprinted towards Black. She felt a spell zoom over her head, sent by Pettigrew, but soon he was pelting off down the rickety corridor with Emma in hot pursuit.


“I guess it’s just you and me, Angelina.”


“Save your breath Black.”


“As you wish.”


He fired a spell. Angelina threw up a shield.


“Can’t get me, can you, Black?”


“Nope, but you know what I can do,” Black smirked, his eyes sparkling with devious delight. In horror Angelina lifted her wand to stop him, but Black had already turned his wand from her to the fireworks. They exploded with a bang.


Angelina barely had time to throw a shield charm around herself and Black before she felt herself thrown back as the wooden structure around her shattered apart, sending both she and Black tumbling in a cloud of smoke and wood out onto the pitch. Above, the fireworks were banging as the crowd yelled, and the commentator’s voice boomed: “And Gryffindor catches the snitch! A Gryffindor vic”what is this?”


The crown turned its shocked eyes to the mound of debris, which had once been a stadium support pillar, and from which two first year students were now picking themselves up.


Angelina, scratched, bruised, and coated in soot, struggled out from under the planks of wood to come nose to nose with the red face of Abe Aclebee, whose eyes looked like they were about to burst from their sockets.
Chapter 15 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Creating Cupid’s Cards
Chapter 15

On the second Friday of February, after her weekly Flying lesson, which was the last class of the day, Angelina trudged over to Abe Aclebee to report for detention. The rest of the class was dispersing, heading back to the castle.

“See you later,” Emma murmured to Angelina as she too had headed up to the castle. “And thanks again for not mentioning my name.”

“Of course, though it’s not you who should be thanking me. Potter, Wormtail, and Lupin”who were the ones responsible for the fireworks”haven’t even seen a detention from it.”

True to the unspoken agreement between the feuding parties, neither Black nor Angelina had disclosed the identities of the other participants in the incident. Each claimed they had been acting alone.

“I, on the other hand, will be in detention with Abe until I’m a hundred years old,” Angelina moaned as she turned away from Emma to face whatever unpleasant task Abe had dreamed up for her this time.

It was her ninth detention in a string of punishment resulting from the disaster at the Quidditch match. Black was already standing next to Abe as Angelina approached. She frowned, looking for Hagrid, who had administered their previous detentions (helping out around the grounds doing manual labor, all without any magical assistance).

“Come on,” Abe growled and”without even acknowledging Angelina”trudged off towards the castle.

“Where’s Hagrid?” Angelina whispered to Black as they shuffled off, trailing behind Abe. Before Black could answer, Abe shouted back at them.

“No fraternizing! This is not a social engagement; ya’ll better get yar butts in gear.”

Thus they slogged along through the snow and up to the castle in silence. As they neared the steps, the tall and imposing form of Professor McGonagall appeared, waiting for them. Angelina recalled how she and Professor Flitwick had stood in stony silence as Abe Aclebee had berated Angelina after the Quidditch fiasco.

“Such behavior,” Abe had spluttered in furry, “is unacceptable. It completely undermines the Hogwarts’ teams, my authority as a referee, and the noble game of Quidditch. I move to expel Miss Lestrange!” he had finished with a yell and a bang of his hand.

Professor Flitwick had blinked in astonishment at the raving referee before finally finding his voice. “Uh, may I inquire on what grounds you wish to expel her?”

“Her behavior this afternoon!” Abe had bellowed.

“Yes,” Flitwick had mused, contemplatively, “but I’m not sure I follow. I assure you that there are no injured students, nor will the stadium sustain any lasting effects. So,” here he trailed off, looking enquiringly at Abe, “if you wouldn’t mind explaining your basis for expulsion a little more clearly?”

Abe simply blinked at Flitwick.

“I think what Filius is getting at,” explained McGonagall, “is that we have heard both Miss Lestrange’s and Mr. Black’s accounts and I feel it is safe to say that there are hardly grounds for Miss Lestrange’s expulsion.”

“Suspension then!” Abe shouted gleefully.

“For what?” Flitwick squeaked.

“The explosion! She defiled my Quidditch pitch.” A maniacal gleam entered Abe’s eyes as he said this.

“That’s dragon dung!” Black shouted. “Angelina didn’t even have anything to do with the fireworks””

“Black,” Angelina hissed. “Shut. Up.”

“Thank you, Mr. Black,” Flitwick piped. “You make an excellent point.”

Abe spluttered.

“What Mr. Black is saying, perhaps ineloquently, is that it was not Miss Lestange who lit the fireworks,” said McGonagall. “In fact, if you will recall, Miss Lestrange was simply trying to stop the fireworks. Isn’t that correct Mr. Black?”

“Yes,” he concurred, glaring defiantly at Abe.

Abe looked mutinous. “Yes, yes . . . well, I suppose just detentions then. Until I see Miss Lestrange has learnt her lesson,” he finished ominously.

“That is, of course, your prerogative,” Flitwick had said.

And so Abe had assigned Angelina a total of a hundred detentions (while only assigning Sirius Black forty). Professor McGonagall had evened the score, and then some, by assigning Black an additional sixty and deducting 50 house points from Gryffindor; Professor Flitwick meanwhile had suggested that Angelina spend half her detentions in the Hospital Wing so as to get some first hand knowledge of how dangerous misused magic could be.

Angelina sighed as she tramped up the last of the stairs to come face to face with Professor McGonagall. She gave them a curt nod before turning her attention to Abe and announcing, “I’ll take them from here Abe. Come on you two, follow me and listen closely. My fellow professors and I,” McGonagall began as she went into the entrance hall and out of the chilly wind, “have decided that it is important for you to become aware of what a privilege it is to use magic, as you are both from families with long magical histories. Such power as we are blessed to have should not be used in such trivial pursuits as childish feuds.”

She stopped at a long table positioned to one side of the Entrance Hall’s wide marble staircase and turned to face them.

“Isn’t that sort of like discrimination? We can’t help how we are born, Professor McGonagall,” Angelina said sweetly, echoing the slogan of Muggle-born activists.

“No, it is not, Miss Lestrange,” Professor McGonagall continued sternly. “We are simply expanding your intellectual horizons, which I am sure you will agree is the goal of Hogwarts.”

Angelina wrinkled her nose, but could think of no rebuttal to this. So she simply kept her mouth shut and let McGonagall continue.

“Now that you have learned the difficulties of manual labor, we also wish to instill in you a sense of monetary value. Without magic, that stunt you two pulled would have been very costly. Thus we have decided that the two of you are to hold a Valentine’s Fundraiser, the proceeds of which will go to St. Mungo’s to help children who suffer from magical spells gone wrong. Hopefully this will leave you with an appreciation for magic and an understanding of the responsibilities such a blessing entails.

“Here is your table. You will spend the day selling valentines. The students will write down who the valentine is for and what they wish it to say. They may include their name, or not, as they wish. This weekend we expect you to make the valentines you have sold, and on Sunday night you will hand them over to the house-elves, who will ensure they arrive at the Valentine’s Feast on Monday.

“Any questions? Good. Carry on.”

And with that she left them to man the booth.

The afternoon passed in relative peace, neither Black nor Angelina saying very much to one another as the students filed by, filling out forms and dropping them into the slotted box while Angelina and Black collected their money.

“Oh, excuse me, but you’re a knut short,” Angelina called to a fourth year Ravenclaw when there was only about an hour left until closing. The girl blushed and rummaged in her bag before producing the necessary coin.

Angelina distractedly took it from her and slipped it into the box, but her attention was on other things, as at that moment she had overheard Black drawl, “What are you doing here, Snivellus? This booth is for sending valentines, and who would want one of those from you? Or are you sending one to your nose?”

“Oh shut up, Black,” Angelina spat. “Come over here Sev. I’ll help you.”

“I don’t need your help, Angelina," Severus began in a snobbish tone, but moved over to her side of the table all the same. “I’m perfectly capable of””

“I don’t doubt that, Severus. I remember what happened to Rookwood on the train. But this is hardly the time for that. Black and I are supposed to be showing we’ve mended our ways, not brandishing Dark Magic about in the front hall.”

Severus opened his mouth to retort, but Angelina cut in.

“Just because we know it, doesn’t mean we should use it whenever we please. Now,” she paused and looked at the two slips of paper in Severus’s hand, “that’ll be fourteen sickles.”

Severus mutely counted out the money and handed it over to Angelina.

“See you at dinner; we’ll discuss Operation Revealing ABOG.”

Severus simply nodded as he slipped away through the crowd. As soon as he had left Angelina rounded on Black.

“Do you want to get us more detentions? Or are you just thick?”

Black simply cast Angelina his most charming smile and said, “Anything to spend more time in your heavenly presence, my Angel.”

Fuming in annoyance over both his treatment of Severus and her inability to do anything about it, Angelina turned her attention to a second year Hufflepuff and snapped, “What do you want?”

~*~

The following day, Angelina and Black stood listlessly outside the library, blinking in bemused confusion as Madam Pince twitched her wand and expelled their sack of valentine orders.

“And stay out!” Madam Pince cried in fury.

The two looked at each other, mystified, wondering where else they could go to complete the valentine project they had been assigned as part of their detentions.

“Where do we go now?”

“I don’t suppose our common rooms are an option?”

“No.”

“Well, an abandoned classroom it is then.”

With that, the two children set off down the hall.

“Sorry about getting us kicked out. Madame Pince has an unfounded hatred for me,” Black griped.

“I’d hardly call it unfounded. She must spend half her time keeping your Gryffindor gang out of the Restricted Section and the other half protecting her books, keeping the library quiet and clean, and generally thwarting your diabolical stunts. It’s a miracle she has any time for the rest of us.”

Black tossed her a sheepish grin. “Well, you have to admit, her tossing us out because I sneezed was a little outrageous.”

Angelina tilted her head back to scrutinize Black. “I don’t know,” she said slowly, a smile playing about her lips. “I’d say it’s lucky she lets a vagabond like you anywhere near her books. I know I wouldn’t.”

Black laughed. “Oh, I forgot, you’re just a little angel, aren’t you? Never tried for the Restricted Section.”

“Well, you do keep on insisting that I am an angel, I believe.”

“You’ll always be one to me.”

With that the two of them lapsed into an uneasy silence. Angelina never knew how to respond when Sirius got all sweet on her. He was much easier to deal with when he was teasing and laughing at her.

“So,” Angelina said after a pause, searching for something to fill in the silence. “I hear Andromeda has gotten engaged. Your family must be proud.”

“He’s a perfectly prejudiced, pompous git…Of course they love him!”

The two exchanged sardonic smiles, Black’s eyes holding a tad more bitterness than Angelina’s.

“Have they set a date?”

“Sometime this summer. You should be getting the invitation soon.”

“Oh, yes. I remember something in one of Andromeda’s letters about the parchment color being off””

“Egg-shell instead of cream,” Black recalled, laughing at the memory.

“Your Aunt ’Ella must have been furious,” Angelina said, stony-faced, referring to Andromeda’s mother Druella.

“Can you believe it! The incompetence.” Black sighed in mock-exasperation.

Angelina caught Black’s eyes and burst into a fit of giggles, Black joining in.

They completed their walk in companionable silence. Once they arrived at the empty Charms classroom, Angelina dropped the pile of books she was carrying with a thud and collapsed on a chair. Sliding into the desk next to her, Black set the sack between them and drew out two order forms. Tossing one to Angelina, he began to work on the other himself.

Soon they were well on their way; a nice pile of sparkling valentines growing quickly on an empty desk off to one side.

Angelina was busy perfecting a spell to make the card sing its message to its addressee. She figured that if she was going to waste her whole Saturday afternoon making valentines for people she didn’t know, she could at least practice her magic while she was doing it.

“Look here,” Black called, holding out a valentine slip to Angelina.

Angelina, frowning curiously at the delighted look on Black’s face, leaned over to take it from him.

“You know Martin Devin, that tall bloke from Slytherin?” Black continued, his voice brimming with poorly suppressed mirth as he handed the slip over. “He’s sending Mary McDonal, that short blond Hufflepuff, this card. Go on read it!”

Black’s eyes danced merrily as he watched Angelina scan the card.

“‘Your eyes are like mud puddles’?” Angelina spluttered in amusement. “Does he think that comparison is going to help him win her heart?”

Black sighed. “Who knows? The other day James told Evans her hair reminded him of blood from a grisly murder. She took it as a bizarre insult. The funny thing is, he meant it as a compliment.”

Angelina rolled her eyes. “Next time tell him to stick to something a little more conventional. Maybe a blood-red rose”if he has to mention blood.”

Black laughed. “There’s nothing wrong with a little creativity.”

“Oh yeah?” Angelina challenged. She picked up another valentine and read. “‘You make my heart feel as if it’s been stabbed with a dagger, my eyes bleed with tears; I love you so much it’s like a banshee, howling in my ears?’”

“Alright. But you have to admit, if you read one more sickeningly sweet poem comparing the person receiving it to a summer’s day, you’re going to be ill.”

“Fine, fine. Oh, listen to this one,” Angelina said and proceeded to read a pretentious, supercilious, and insipid card addressed to some seventh year Ravenclaw boy. By the end of the card, both Angelina and Black were doubled over with laugher, tears of mirth in their eyes.

Still laughing, Black snatched the next valentine from the pile and read it, but instead of bursting into more gales of laughter, his face fell and his eyebrows drew together.

“What is it?” Angelina asked, drying her eyes.

“Nothing.” Sirius responded, not all together convincingly. He tried to place the card out of Angelina’s reach, but she snatched it from him, her curiosity piqued.

“Oh,” Angelina said after she’d read it, the blood draining from her face as she tried to shove the valentine away.

“So you’re dating him?” Sirius asked belligerently.

“You know I’m not,” Angelina replied, her embarrassment turning into annoyance.

“Bit creepy though. He’s old enough to be your father,” Black gabbed.

“Don’t be ridiculous. Jonathan’s only four years older, and he’s just being nice,” she snapped back.

Jonny is not just being nice.”

“Yes he is. Not everyone is biologically incapable of such niceties. That’s just you Black.”

And with that, the two fell back into a moody silence that persisted for the rest of the day.
Chapter 16 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Advantageous Accidents
Chapter 16

“Ugly little Squib!”

“Not got a lick of magic.”

“Family should blast her off the tree!”

“Filthy, blood-mingling, Mudblood-loving””

Silencio!” Angelina shouted. She was already disliked and insulted enough by most of the school’s human population; she did not need to be abused by plants too. She glowered down at the miniature tree in front of her.

“Squib, eh? Looks like my spell shut you up alright.”

The bobbing apples, which were shouting insults only moments ago, now moved their mouths furiously but silently, their ugly, scrunched faces no longer hollering disparagements. One of the grumpy little faces wrinkled its nose and blinked open its wrinkly little eyes. And spat at Angelina.

Stupefy!” Angelina shouted at the offending apple, but as soon as she had cast the spell, she turned her attention to a more pressing problem: the spot where the apple’s spit had landed on her protective gloves had started to boil and splutter acidly.

The other apples, which had recovered from her Silencing spell, were swaying menacingly on their branches and yelling insults at Angelina again.

Angelina glanced nervously around, searching for help. None of the other students seemed to be plagued with such a vicious tree.

Turning back to her tree, Angelina tried to pacify it. However, her stunned apple had awoken, angrier than ever, and it spat on her a second time.

“Ow!”Angelina cried as the spit landed on her collarbone.

Professor Sprout was instantly at her side. “Oh, no,” the worried professor sighed. “It looks like we have got a spitter. Where did it hit you?” the stout little woman asked in a resigned tone.

Angelina motioned to her neck, where it felt as if her skin was melting.

Professor Sprout lifted her wand and the gnawing sensation eased. “Well, you better head straight up to the castle to see Madam Pomfrey. I’d better see to your tree before it gets any angrier. Miss Hope,” she shouted, “take your friend Miss Lestrange up to the hospital wing. And see that she hurries. My protective charm will only last so long.”

Angelina and Emma made their way up to the hospital wing with relative ease. When Madam Pomfrey saw Angelina, she sighed and said, “Ah, you again. What happened this time? Another vicious plant, I presume.”

“A crabapple. It spat on her,” said Emma.

“I can’t help it if plants dislike me,” Angelina defended herself. Madam Pomfrey and Emma exchanged exasperated looks.

“You stunned the apple,” Emma admonished, and Angelina shot her a piercing glare.

“Very well, let me have a look.” After some prodding and poking, Madam Pomfrey nodded decisively and reached for a jar of balm.

“This should do the trick,” she said as she smeared the balm on the affected area. “You got lucky. The sap barely started burning before Professor Sprout put a freeze on it. Still,” Madame Pomfrey continued, giving Angelina a sharp look, “you need to be more careful in Herbology, my dear. This accident could have caused some real harm.”

“I can’t help it if plants have horrid taste.”

“She means she can’t help it if she’s abysmal at Herbology,” Emma sniggered. “You should see her, Madam Pomfrey. The other day,” Emma laughed, launching into a story about one of Angelina’s many Herbology exploits.

Angelina glowered at the pair as they delighted over her misfortunes, but there was really nothing she could say to defend herself. She really was abysmal at Herbology. Plants just seemed to hate her. They were out to get her.

“Well,” Angelina growled after twenty minutes of amusing anecdotes that all involved Angelina’s unfortunate Herbology mishaps. “If the two of you are quite done mocking me, I think it’s time we get back to class.”

Looking sheepish, the two wiped the smiles from their faces.

“I’m sorry, Angelina,” Madam Pomfrey apologized as she bent over to inspect Angelina’s collarbone.

“Yeah, me too,” Emma murmured.

“Well, it looks like you’re all set,” Madam Pomfrey pronounced with satisfaction. “I’m just going to give you this jar of ointment and a box of bandages. You should rub some on every night before sleeping and keep the bandages on it to keep it from rubbing off. Other than that, you are set to go.”

After thanking her, the two girls set off. They had just come to a bust of a grizzly old wizard when Angelina veered right.

“Where are you going?” Emma asked, looking curiously over her shoulder at Angelina. “The way to the entrance hall is this way.”

“But I’m not heading to the entrance hall,” Angelina called back as she continued to stroll down the corridor.

“W-What? Why?” Emma stammered, trotting to catch up to Angelina.

“There’s only fifteen minutes of class left. We’d just make it to the entrance hall by the time we’d have to head back up, never mind all the way out to Green House 1,” Angelina reasoned. “Anyway, I’ve just suffered a serious injury; I think that warrants getting out of class early. And it’s not like we need to retrieve our bags.”

Emma frowned. This was all true. “Well…I don’t suppose it’ll hurt. Just this once. And we do need the extra time to search for a way out of the castle.”

“That’s the spirit!” Angelina enthused. “We need all the time we can get if we’re to find a secret passage out of the Hogwarts before Black and Potter. We haven’t even finished searching the ground level yet.”

“Okay, okay. Let’s just drop our things off and then we can begin. ‘Cause I’ve got the largest book on earth for our History of Magic paper in my bag.”

“Okay, but let’s hurry.”

The girls were just reaching the fourth floor by way of a narrow staircase whose entrance was hidden by a wall-hanging when they heard hurried footsteps coming towards them. Angelina, who had been in the midst of pushing the tapestry aside, motioned for Emma to remain still, and Emma nodded in understanding.

It wasn’t as if the two of them were doing anything particularly forbidden. It was just that they were not totally sure that they weren’t. Technically they should be in class, although it made no sense to head back that way. However, Angelina didn’t much care to explain to Filch or Professor McGonagall what they were doing out of class. No, it would be better to wait for whoever it was to pass.

The footsteps were right outside of their tapestry when they slowed. For a wild moment Angelina feared that the unknown person was going to come through the tapestry, but whoever it was continued on.

Peeking out, Angelina saw a tall Slytherin student, who had to be at least a fifth year, standing in front of the mirror at the end of the corridor. Quickly, she withdrew her head and turned back to meet Emma’s questioning gaze.

“It’s a Slytherin student,” Angelina whispered.

“So let’s go,” Emma said, moving forward.

“Might be a prefect,” Angelina cautioned, blocking her way.

There was a squeaking sound, and then the words “little urchins” thundered down the corridor.

Angelina gave Emma a confused look.

“Do you think he saw you?” Emma wondered as Angelina poked her nose back into the corridor. What she saw took her breath away. There, at the end of the hallway, gaped a large arch. The tall Slytherin stepped through it and was swallowed, the wall sealing shut behind the billowing black robes he wore. Once again there was only a full-length mirror in the place where the arch had stood.

“Oh my,” Emma gasped from beside Angelina, she too having poked her head out to see what was happening. “Was that…Is that…”

“Yes,” Angelina hissed in delight, her eyes sparkling in triumph. “That is the secret passage out of Hogwarts.”
Chapter 17 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Subterranean Secrets
Chapter 17

The two girls approached the mirror, staring at it in wonder, but all they saw in return were their own pale, excited faces.

Angelina reached up and rubbed a smudge of dirt off her forehead self-consciously.

“Little urchins,” Angelina said hesitantly.

Nothing happened.

“What do you think we need to do?” Emma wondered, pushing her blond hair out of her face and staring intently at the glass.

“I don’t know,” Angelina admitted in a small voice, running her fingers over the raised runes that ran around the rim of the mirror.

“Do you think they tell us how to enter?”

“Don’t know,” Angelina murmured. “Was never much good with runes.”

In a flash, Angelina recalled one of her many Runes lessons with her mother.

“What is this?”

Guinevere Lestrange gazed down at her daughter, her face mesmerizingly beautiful. Bright curls the color of corn-husks bobbed around her face like a halo, with streaks of gold glittering in the sunlight slanting in from the large glass windows giving real meaning to the phrase “hair like spun gold.” Her skin was creamy, un-aged and un-freckled, with only a small, tidy beauty mark on her right cheek. Currently, her supple red mouth was turned down in a frown, her mounting frustration evident as she waved a large flashcard with a rune inscribed on the front of it in the face of a young Angelina.

“I don’t know,” Guinevere’s daughter mumbled into her collar, her large grey eyes, so like her mother’s, wide and pleading as they stared up at Guinevere.

“Think!” Guinevere cried in exasperation. “You’ll never be any good at magic if you don’t practice, my little Angel.” The blonde beauty gave Angelina a stern look. “Twinkle says you have been sneaking off to play with that Dominque girl when you should be studying your lessons.

“Now.” Guinevere composed herself. “Let’s try again. What’s this?” She raised the flash card again.

Angelina’s storm-grey eyes traced the rune, but nothing came to her. Frowning in vexation she turned her attention to the beautiful lines of her mother’s face and her haunting grey eyes.

As soon as their eyes connected, a series of images blazed across Angelina’s vision, blinding her to the rest of the world. They came with such speed and force that they made Angelina sick, but suddenly what she was looking for flashed before her eyes. The rune was a three.

“Stop that.” The harsh admonishment of Guinevere Lestrange recalled Angelina to the world, where she found her mother gazing disapprovingly at her as she slapped the card down. “How many times must I tell you? Mind reading is invasive and dangerous. For you as much as anyone else..”

Angelina wrinkled her nose and stared down at her clasped hands.

“Oh, cheer up, my little Angel. With a little self-control and discipline, you will certainly achieve your heart’s desires. There’s nothing to fear about being extraordinary. And you are, my Angel, you were born to be. You displayed magic practically from the moment you were born”brimming with it, the medi-witch told me. So be patient, Angel; I sometimes forget your young age.

“But you must not forget your lessons.”

Guinevere smiled, dazzling her daughter with the radiance of her expression.

“Alright, let’s start again. Can you tell me what this means...”


“Angelina,” Emma called. “Angelina!”

“Oh, what? Sorry. I was distracted.”

“What if we flip it?” Emma repeated, smiling ruefully at Angelina.

“Huh?” Angelina grunted inarticulately.

“Well it’s on the stand…and…oh, I don’t know…it just sort of popped into my head. It’s ridiculous, I know.”

“No, no, wait. We should at least try it.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” Angelina encouraged. “Now you take that side. I’ll take this, and…”

The two girls flipped the mirror over, but all they saw was the back of a mirror.

“Oh,” Emma sighed, clearly disappointed.

“Wait,” Angelina called, reaching forward to stop Emma from flipping the mirror over again. “One of the ruins.”

It was the same as the one she remembered from her lessons, the one on the flash card her mother had held for her. It was a three.

“Let’s swing it around three times.”

And so the girls did.

Pausing, they stared into the mirror, but this time their faces were not reflected back. Instead, the mirror was full of a foggy mist and an old, translucent man with a beard like sea foam stared back at them.

“Password,” he said, his voice deep and mellow like the crashing of the waves in the quiet of the night.

“Uh, little urchins?” Angelina supplied, repeating what the tall Slytherin student had said. The old man closed his eyed and sighed, “Yes.”

And all of a sudden, the mirror, of its own volition, started to swing around. It swung faster and faster until it was a blur, and when it repositioned itself, it wasn’t a mirror at all, but a grand, arching entrance. Through the arch, a magnificent stairway, with all the grandeur of the one in the entrance hall, descended into the gloom. Torches sat in brackets lining the walls, unlit. Emma moved forward, her wand extended to light one, but Angelina stopped her.

“No,” Angelina cautioned, and Emma turned to look at her. “I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to face that Slytherin in a duel. And I got the impression that whoever it was didn’t want to be followed. The torches will be too bright”they’ll let whoever he was know he’s being followed. I think we better use our wands.”

“Oh, Lena,” Emma sighed in amused exasperation. “You’re so paranoid. You and Snape should form a society.”

But she still lowered her wand and whispered, “Lumos.”

Thus the two girls began their descent. After a while, the marble staircase stopped, giving way to a stone path heavily coated with the dirt of centuries of nonuse. Eventually the path became solely dirt, with only the occasional rock to trip over or to stub one’s toe on. When the path began to twist, Angelina’s wand tip lit the tunnel’s wall, illuminating the water that trickled down in slow rivulets over mossy growth. As the girls continued on, these rivulets turned to puddles beneath their feet.

“Do you think this is leading anywhere?” Emma asked after what felt like hours, her voice echoing through the caverns in distorted and eerie booms.

“Hush,” Angelina hissed. “Lower your voice. Something might hear you.”

Emma rolled her eyes, but the tunnel was too dark for Angelina to see.

“Fine,” Emma whispered. “Do you think this passage is leading anywhere? Or do you think we might have missed a turnoff somewhere back there.” Emma’s voice was a bit sharper than it would have been under normal circumstances for she was tired; the strenuous hiking had made her back sweaty even though the passage was cold and damp and her book bag was digging uncomfortably into her shoulder. She really wished now that they had made it up Ravenclaw Tower to drop of their bags before embarking on this adventure.

“I don’t thinks so. And I can’t see why that Slytherin would be using this passage if it were a dead end. But…you’re right, it does feel as if we should be at Hogsmeade by now. But it might be further than it looks”after all, neither of us has gotten to go.”

And after a little more debate, the two girls decided to forge ahead.

Thus, with wand tips aloft, the pair made their way on down the winding path. The splashes of water from their feet as they made their way through the now ever present puddles reverberated loudly through the darkness. The path was just starting to slant upward when it happened.

A huge earthworm the size of a python descended from the ceiling, blocking the passage with its’ huge, blind, wriggling form.

Emma shrank back in alarm, her eyes going wide, her throat closing in terror, petrified, as the giant beast wriggled sightlessly towards them.

Angelina stepped forward, her wand raised, but before she had uttered even a single spell, the earthworm disappeared with a bang. And standing behind it loomed Angelina’s father, his robes billowing about him as he strode forward.

“Angelina Lestrange,” he boomed, his voice as terrible and cold as the raging North sea. “Can’t you even stand up to a simple earthworm? What sort of witch are you, girl? You are a shame to the illustrious Lestrange name! You don’t even deserve a place on the family tree!.”

Angelina, her voice quaking with shame and fright, tried to reason with her father. “I was going to do something. I-I was about to do something.”

But Mr. Lestrange, who was hardly listening, had moved over to the passage wall. When she turned her wand light to follow him, Angelina illuminated not a slick, moss covered wall, but the delicate, flowering vines of her family tree. Turning burning eyes to her father, Angelina fell to her knees. The clutches of despair squeezing her heart painfully. If it squeezed much harder, she felt certain her heart would shatter.

“No father. No. Please. I’ll do anything,” she supplicated, as waves of grief, fear, pain, and betrayal wracked her body. Tears, hot and salty, sprang to her eyes as fear constricted her throat. If her heart didn’t kill her, the lack of oxygen would.

“Be silent,” he hissed. He drew his wand and the tip glowed red like a cigarette.

And Angelina collapsed in despair, shielding her eyes from the sight.

All of a sudden, out of the darkness, Angelina heard the shout of “Ridiculous!”

Emma! In her agony, Angelina had completely forgotten about the other girl. But what was she screaming at her father? Did she think telling him his actions were ridiculous was going to help? But it was. Waves of relieve, calm and soothing, washed over her, freeing her throat and heart, pushing the tears, despair, hurt, and anger away.

Confused and relieved, Angelina unfurled, the grief no longer crippling. Wiping her face, she glanced up to see her father skipping around, waving a paintbrush and palette, a red beret positioned jauntily on his head. And then it clicked. The logical and reasonable part of her brain, which had been drowning in pain, resurfaced. The image was so comical, and so in contrast to her actual father, that Angelina almost laughed but caught herself. This was a boggart, and they still needed one more for their prank.

“Don’t laugh!” Angelina called behind her to Emma as she rummaged frantically in her dropped book bag for something. Triumphantly, she pulled out the tin box Madame Pomfrey had given her, filled with bandages. Hurriedly, she started stuffing the bandages into the pockets of her robes. Then she stood up and sprinted over to Emma, who was standing, looking at Angelina in confusion.

“What”” Emma began.

“It’s a boggart,” Angelina said frantically.

“Yes. I know, but””

“Put these in your pocket,” Angelina ordered, stuffing a few balls of rolled up bandage into Emma’s hands. “Alright,” she continued, still ignoring the confusion of her friend. “You need to step forward again. So it will turn into that worm-thingy. But this time, you know it’s a boggart, so just shrink it with ‘ridiculous.’ Then I’ll grab it and put it in here.” Angelina shook the tin. “You don’t have any spell-o-tape?”

“Yeah in my bag, why?”

But at that moment, the frolicking Mr. Lestrange engorged, twisting and distorting into a giant, slithering, writhing earthworm.

“Go!” Angelina shouted.

And once again, Emma shouted, “Ridiculous!”

As soon as she had, Angelina darted forward and slammed the worm into the tin. Immediately, the tin started to shake and the pounding sound echoed through the passage.

“Grab your tape!” Angelina cried trying desperately to keep the tin closed.

“Here,” Emma panted, coming up to Angelina’s side and beginning to wrap the tap around the shaking tin. “Watch your fingers.”

Soon the two girls had the tin safely sealed up and stored in Angelina’s book-bag. In the silence that followed, Angelina started to feel a trickle of embarrassment seeping through her and her face flushed hotly.

“Thanks for saving me back there,” Angelina muttered bashfully as they began mounting a treacherously slick flight of stairs.

“Of course,” Emma whispered, her voice warm and comforting. There was no judgment or condescension in her tone. “Sorry it took me so long. I tried it two times before anything happened.” she finished in a business-like tone. She knew Angelina would hate to talk about feelings.

“Well,” Angelina continued, glad for the chance to take refuge in the theoretical, “it always takes a few practice tries to perfect a spell, especially in the field like this. It’s impressive you know the spell at all; we probably won’t cover boggarts ‘til end of second year. Fifth, if Fishback continues teaching us. It was just great you recognized it for what it was. I didn’t,” she added softly.

“That’s ’cause it didn’t change until it took on your worst fear. And it’s much harder to spot when it’s your nightmare that’s coming to life. It just didn’t make any sense to me that your father would be prowling the secret passages of Hogwarts.”

Angelina laughed. When put like that it sounded ridiculous that she could have been plunged into such terror. Still, at the time…

“Come on let’s see where this passage leads us.”

When they finally emerged, the cold air of evening struck them though they quickly realized they weren’t quite outside yet. Instead, they emerged onto the ledge of a large cavern. To their left, a flight of stairs carved from the side of the rock descended to the bottom of the cavern, which stretched out below in a gigantic circular cave whose wide, gaping entrance lay directly in front of them leading out into the mountains beyond.

However, they were not the only occupants of this den. The deep voices of many people echoed and reverberated off the high arching ceiling, causing a couple of bats to take flight, heading out into the evening skies.

Slowly and with caution, Angelina and Emma crept their way to edge of the landing and looked down. Almost thirty feet below them lay the bottom of the cavern. In the centre of the cavity stood a group of darkly cloaked figures, highlighted by the glow of the setting sun through the cave entrance. It was from this group that the noise stemmed. Their faces were impossible to identify, as the hoods of their cloaks and the deepening shadows hid them from view. All save for one: the Slytherin fifth year who stood proudly in front of the hooded figures

Angelina felt a thrill of apprehension run up her spin, and turned her attention to focus on what the group was saying.

“Now, tell us about you,” one of the cloaked figures was saying, his voice easily carrying up to the ledge where the two spies crouched. “How goes our mission inside Hogwarts? How are our Knights of Walpurgis doing?”

“Our numbers have grown. Our mission of recruitment is going well. Many are eager for the reforms we advocate. They’ve seen how the Mudbloods have forgotten their place; they walk among us as if they are our equals,” the tall Slytherin related in a low and orderly fashion, yet below the words lurked a fervor, a passion that madly gripped the speaker. “Deference for heritage and tradition is no longer present in the halls of Hogwarts. Many wish to restore the order, and so join the Knights in our crusade to bring those who have strayed back to the flock.

“For even of our own forget,” another Death Eater chimed in angrily. “They have no pride, no self-respect. Those Blood-Traitors have let their children act like common Muggles. And so they forget their rightful place. Think that the Mudbloods are their equals. They, who have generations of pure blood lineage preceding them.”

“Worst of all is that that Muggle-loving fool of a Headmaster they have teaching up at the school even encourages manual labor for detention! Imagine degrading our heirs, our future rulers of the world, by making them scrub cauldrons by hand.”

Here there was murmured of discontent from the group.

“Are such practices really employed?” One Death Eater anxiously asked.

Here the boy replied, “I am sorry to report that you are correct. However, I hope, as I’m sure you do, that we will soon be ready to combat those fools who do not recognize our rights, who seek to suppress us. All this wand control and magic limitations.

“It is high time everyone is reminded of the rightful order.”

Here there was a cry, “The rightful order.”

“Good,” said the first voice with satisfaction. “The Dark Lord will be pleased to learn that he can expect more followers to join our ranks soon.”

“Has he given a date for the initiation, for those old enough?” The Hogwarts student asked, the yearning clear in his voice. At that moment one of the last rays from the setting sun fell on the boy’s face, illuminating it. Angelina, recognizing the face, gasped in surprise.

There was a tiny bit of muttering down bellow.

“It was simply a bat,” The first voice, the voice of the man in charge, stated.

At that Emma tapped Angelina on the back and motioned to the passage entrance with her head.

“After graduation,” were the last words Angelina heard as she followed Emma into the darkness of the tunnel.

They descended the stairs quickly and quietly, moving as hastily as they dared along the slick, wet ground. It wasn’t until they were halfway back to the castle that either of them dared to speak.

“So, the Big Fungus has people working within Hogwarts,” Emma whispered, a chill of fear seeping down her spine.

Angelina, who was traveling silently behind her, deep in thought, simply nodded. They made the rest of the trip back to the Ravenclaw common room in silence. Both girls collapsing into their beds with exhaustion, and as Angelina’s eyes drifted closed and the waves of sleep came to claim her, all she thought was: Yes, the Big Fungus has recruited Hogwarts students. And one of those students is my brother.
Chapter 18 by Quick_Quote_Quill
Splashes in Spring
Chapter 18

There was a buzz of excitement in the air the Friday before spring break. The Ravenclaw dining table hummed much like a busy beehive. Seated near the end of the table, Angelina tossed her curly black locks over her shoulder in impatience, searching the sky above for any hint of feathers. Like everyone else in the Great Hall, she too was excited; but it had nothing to do with the dwindling number of classes or an approaching pleasant outing. No, today was the day that Angelina’s months of scheming finally came to fruition.

“Stop that,” Emma Hope chastised, reaching across the table to knock Angelina’s hand away from her mouth (where she had been nibbling surreptitiously on her thumb). “Here. Have a piece of toast.”

“How can you eat?” Angelina groaned nervously.

“Breakfast is”” Emma began, but Angelina interrupted.

“No. Not that. It’s…” Angelina gestured vaguely around, before leaning in and lowering her voice. “Aren’t you afraid it’ll go wrong?”

Emma laughed. Sitting back, she smiled at the dark-haired girl across the table. “Relax. The owls will arrive any minute.

And sure enough, just as she spoke the sky overhead was blotted out by the mass of birds sweeping into the Great Hall.

Angelina let the piece of toast slip from her fingers and searched the sky for the nondescript school owls, which she, Severus, and Emma had chosen earlier that morning to deliver two important packages. But her search was fruitless”she might as well have been looking for a five-pointed snowflake in a blizzard”so instead, she turned her eyes to the table a little ways down the Hall, where four first year Gryffindor boys sat.

At that moment, Potter”demonstrating his clearly “superior” reflexes and “athletic” prowess”was catching in his mouth anything (edible) that anyone threw at him. Across the table from him, Pettigrew was laughing in delight while Sirius Black tossed a kipper in an arch over the table and into Potter’s mouth. Even the sandy-haired boy, Lupin, was smiling shyly in amusement.

Black threw another kipper. However, this time it wasn’t Potter who caught it, but a tawny owl that was swooping down to settle in front of the boys. The group broke into fits of laughter.

“Looks like you’ve been replaced by an owl, old mate,” Black smirked as he reached for more eggs and bacon.

“Who’s the owl for?” Lupin asked and stretched out a hand to detach the parcel it carried right as another owl swooped down. “Here, James, it’s for you.”

“Probably chocolates from Mum; she always makes me an Easter basket,” Potter explained as he popped a grape in his mouth and extended his arms to take the package.

“This one’s for you, Sirius,” Lupin said handing the second parcel over to the boy in front of him. Sirius simply shrugged and continued on with his breakfast.

“Aren’t you curious what you got?” Picking up the package, Pettigrew rattled it by his ear. “What do you reckon it is?” Pettigrew queered, passing the package back to Lupin, who shook it too.

“Probably just a dirty tissue from Kreacher,” Black said derisively as he continued eating his breakfast, completely ignoring the package.

“I don’t think so,” Lupin said, frowning. “Sounds like it could be something good.”

“Maybe my mum sent you something too,” Potter encouraged, looking up from where he was undoing the twine around his own parcel.

Cheering slightly at this prospect, Black lifted his eyes from the eggs on his plate and noted, “Well, it’s an awfully big box for just a tissue. Might as well have a look; I can always chuck it in the bin if it’s something nasty. Give it here, Remus. We can all share it if it turns out it’s not from Kreacher.”

“Oh, you don’t have to, Sirius,” Lupin began, handing the brown paper box across the table to his friend.

“Don’t be daft, I want to. James will share his as well. Isn’t that right, James?” Yet whether or not Potter was willing to share his treats was never determined, for at that moment Potter’s box exploded with a bang.

A group of people suddenly materialized around Potter, obscuring him from Angelina’s view, but she could hear the jibes and jokes they made about Potter’s appearance even from where she sat across the Hall. The comments were unkind, even cruel, but they contained a certain amount of truth, enough so as to be amusing (to anyone but the intended target). When one member of the bullying crowd began a particularly clever impersonation of Potter, Remus Lupin threw himself at them. But the crowd disappeared the instant he lunged forward to defend his friend, shifting into a glowing orb instead.

Swearing loudly, Sirius Black launched himself across the table, knocking over pumpkin juice and sending kippers flying. Grabbing the box, he slammed it down over the silver sphere before it had time to shift its focus to him.

Slow clapping could be heard from the teachers’ table, and all heads turned to see Professor Dumbledore standing serenely, his blue eyes sparkling behind half moon glasses. Smiling down at the sea of students in black robes, he said, “What an exciting spectacle so early in the morning. Twenty points to Gryffindor for superb handling of a very tricky boggart. Nothing like a little excitement to start the holidays off with a bang.

“It would appear that some of the contents of Easter baskets are a tad more exciting now than they were back in my day. Boggarts! How ever is an old man such as myself to keep up with the trends?” He sighed, a twinkle in his light blue eyes.

The hall erupted with laughter.

“But I remind you all that you do still have a day of classes left until the holiday begins.”

And with that reminder, the students headed to class, buzzing about what a good joke that had been and wasn’t Potter’s boggart funny. Everyone had found the joke a good laugh.

Everyone except James Potter. His face was still red from the humiliating spectacle. Rabid, he spun his head around, searching the Slytherin table until he located the longhaired, greasy boy that was his prime suspect. Severus Snape was smiling viciously, and when his eyes locked with Potter’s, he saluted his opponent mockingly before spinning on his heel and heading for class.

Potter narrowed his eyes furiously. It had been him, Severus Snape, who had shown his secret to the world. And James Potter vowed he would not rest until he too had revealed the slimy Slytherin’s most painful secret.

The prank would go down in Hogwarts history. Even weeks after the incident people were relaying, in whispers, the comments the boggart had made about James Potter. Everyone was agreed that the comments had been mean, but that did not mean they did not get a secret delight in the re-telling. In fact many of the phrases the boggart had uttered became secret inside jokes between friends, and for a long while after that now legendary Friday it was in vogue to send one’s nemesis a boggart (and even years afterwards, the occasional boggart would appear along side someone’s morning pumpkin juice). The prank had been a bigger hit than Angelina could have hoped, even though Black had figured out what was going on before opening his box.

The victory was made even sweeter by the fact that Filch had been unable to come up with a suspect. Not that he was trying particularly hard, Angelina thought. Black and Potter were his greatest plague, and she couldn’t help but feel he was secretly glad they had received “their just desserts,” as she had heard him muttering to his cat, Mrs. Norris.

So despite Potter’s continuous railing that it “was that Severus Snape” who had done it, not one of the three masterminds behind the plot was assigned a single detention. And so Angelina savored her spring break.

It was Thursday, almost a week after the prank, when Emma came and dragged Angelina out of the library.

“It’s spring break!” Emma cried in jubilation, earning a reproving look from Madame Pince as she dragged Angelina out into the corridor. “We should be outside enjoying the sunshine. Not studying away.”

Angelina gave her a disgruntled look. “Some Ravenclaw you are,” she grumbled, but let her friend drag her down to the grounds anyway.

“Let’s walk around the lake,” Emma suggested once they had left the confines of the castle and stepped into the sunlight outside. It was a pleasant day, with all the trees and flowers just beginning to burst into bloom.

Angelina cast Emma a sidelong glance. “Why…?”

“It’s such a lovely day,” was all the response she got as Emma ran skipping off into the sun. Angelina, feeling distinctly undignified, cast a furtive glance around before running to catch up with her friend.

“Surprise!” Emma cried as they rounded a curve and entered a cove of trees on the lakeside.

A large checkered picnic blanket, piled with presents and a beautifully iced cake, stretched out on the grassy hill.

“Happy birthday,” Emma said, throwing an arm around Angelina and squeezing her shoulders.

“How? Why?” Angelina spluttered, stunned.

“Well, I am your friend. Although I can’t take all the credit. FuFu was tremendously helpful; I think she kind of likes you. And Severus actually suggested it. Actually, I’m not sure why he’s not already down here. He was suppose to meet us down here…well, he should be down soon.”

Angelina didn’t know what to say.

“Come on. Let’s see what you got. And I want some cake.”

With that the girls settled down to eat cake and open Angelina’s presents.

Rabasten had sent her a basket of potions and lotions, one of which claimed to keep the bath it was poured into warm forever. Rodolphus had given her a Mischief Master deluxe set of supplies from Zonko’s. Her father, or more likely Twinkle (her house elf), had sent her a basket with an assortment of delicacies (including her favorite dark chocolate from France), a new set of summer robes, and a chess set with the Ravenclaw house colors.

“And last but not least,” Emma said smiling, and handed Angelina a small package. Unwrapping it, Angelina found two leaflets of parchment, two bottles of emerald green ink, and two new feather quills.

“Thanks. I needed some new quills,” Angelina forced out. It wasn’t that she didn’t need quills or parchment, or even that she wouldn’t happily use them. It was just…she had been hoping for something a little more personal…at least from Emma.

Smiling mischievously, Emma”pulling one of the pieces of parchment towards her and grabbing one of the quills and ink”proceeded to scribble a line.

“What”” Angelina began, but stopped as she glanced down at the second piece of parchment laying before her.

They are not just ordinary quills, the glistening indigo ink read.

“Oh, cool,” Emma said, leaning over Angelina’s shoulder and peering at the sheet. “The ink changes color when it transfers.”

Understanding dawned on Angelina’s face.

“We can use them to communicate over long distances, like over the summer, as neither of us has our own personal owl.”

“That’s brilliant, Emma! I wonder how they work. Maybe…”

Angelina was in the process of examining her new presents when there came a small noise from the edge of the clearing.

“Eh-hem.”

Emma and Angelina looked up.

“Oh, hello, Lily.” Emma smiled, rising to her feet. “How are you doing?”

“Fine, fine. Sev sent me to apologize for not being able to make it. Apparently Filch caught him out of bed last night, lying in wait for Remus, apparently.” Here the redhead rolled her eyes in exasperation. “He got detention all this afternoon…although he said he’d try to be down later. He sent me to give this to you.”

She held out a small wrapped present to Angelina.

“Happy birthday, by the way.”

Lily was just turning on her heel to leave when Emma shouted. “You could stay if you’d like.”

Lily turned around, her eyes on Angelina. Emma shot Angelina a look as if to say “well, don’t be rude.”

“Yeah,” Angelina said weakly. “We’ve got plenty of cake. If you like.”

Nodding curtly, Lily approached and sat down. The girls had just begun eating their cake when a large water balloon fell on of Emma’s head. Another one followed close behind, drenching Angelina. With quick reflexes, Lily ducked and rolled away down the hill, the third water balloon missing and soaring over her head.

“Retreat!” Emma yelled. “Take cover.”

She and Lily fled to the cover of a rock and tree positioned right on the edge of the lake and conveniently located for a defensive. Crawling low to the ground, Angelina frantically grasped for the present Rodolphus had given her.

A large blue balloon the size of a watermelon soared over Angelina’s lowered body, barely missing her. Scrambling to her feet and clutching the box to her chest, she too darted for the cover of the tree and rock, dodging and weaving as she went.

The fire ceased when Angelina reached the safety of the tree. Peering out, she saw the four Gryffindor boys (Potter, Pettigrew, Black, and Lupin) huddled in a grove of trees, heads together, clearly plotting their next move.

“Here,” Angelina gasped, producing the wooden crate of magical booby traps. “There might be something in here.”

The three girls rummaged through it, looking for anything that might come in handy.

“Here,” Lily said triumphantly, pulling several tan balloons out of the box. “They’re part of the dung bomb kit, but I think they’ll hold water.”

“Great,” Angelina encouraged. “Go fill them up with lake water if you can.”

Angelina and Emma continued to rummage through the crate, but everything else that might have been of use in this situation took time to assemble. More time than they had.

“We could throw this bottle at them,” Angelina admitted reluctantly, holding up a tiny glass container with a cork stopper. “In such high potency, and such concentration, it would send up a mist. Might even blind them for a few seconds…”

“Don’t waste it,” Lily responded as she came back carrying six balloons that she had filled as best she could with water from the lake, trying to force the water in with the occasional flick from her wand. “It’s only water. It’s not like we’re witches from the Wizard of Oz.”

Emma laughed, crying, “I’m melting! I’m melting!” and waving her arms. Both girls giggled.

Angelina felt distinctly left out as she cast Emma and Lily a bewildered glance. Turning her attention back to matters she understood, Angelina peered out from behind the rock. The boys were no longer clustered together in planning mode.

“They’re on the move,” Angelina warned.

“Positions,” Lily giggled, passing two water balloons each to the other girls.

“Ready. Aim. Fire!” Emma called, and with that she boldly stood and aimed. Her balloon hit Black squarely in the face. Grinning manically, he and Potter approached. But where have Pettigrew and Lupin gone? Angelina mused, turning around.

“Watch out!” she screamed in warning to Lily, as Angelina herself was hit in the side by a balloon Potter had thrown. But her warning came too late.

Lily, whose full attention was on the advancing pair, accurately aimed two swift lobs at Potter (both of which hit their intended target square in the face); however, while absorbed in her task, she had failed to notice Pettigrew, who pounced on her from the side. Lupin ran to join him, and they carried the redhead kicking and screaming towards the lake.

Concentrating with all her might Angelina lobbed her water balloon at Remus Lupin’s head. She missed, and the thing splashed all over her ally’s stomach instead. Wincing, she shouted an apology to Lily as she turned to her remaining partner. Angelina had been thinking to offer Emma her last remaining balloon, as Angelina was clearly not skilled in the realm of hand-eye coordination; however, she turned her head to find that Potter had grabbed her friend and was hauling, with a great deal of difficulty, the blond Ravenclaw in the direction of the lake. Taking careful aim, Angelina reached back and prepared to toss the last water balloon, hoping that luck would be on her side.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” a voice called from behind her.

“No?” she asked, not turning to look at Black, but keeping her eyes locked on Potter. She wished Emma would hold still for a moment so that she could get a decent shot.

“No.”

“Too bad you’re not me then,” Angelina retorted, and fired her balloon. It didn’t quite hit Potter, but it didn’t hit Emma either, which she supposed was a start.

“Nice shot,” Black said sardonically as he stepped forward, menacing over the petite Ravenclaw. “You should try out for the Ravenclaw team, you might actually be an improvement over what they’ve currently got,” he mocked, reaching out to grab her.

Not waiting for him to catch her, Angelina darted away, but instead of heading back towards the castle, she headed directly towards the lake. Black grabbed a handful of her black robes, but she twisted forward and broke free, continuing her mad dash towards the edge of the lake.

As she neared, Lupin turned towards her, aiding Black’s pursuit. Potter”with the added assistance of Pettigrew”was still struggling to toss Emma in the lake where Lily was just emerging, drenched from the water, a maniacal gleam in her emerald eyes. Meanwhile, a foot from the water’s edge, Black finally caught hold of Angelina. Lupin assisted him in trying to restrain her but in a powerful burst of strength, Angelina leaped forward into the depths of the lake, pulling the two boys (caught off guard at this tactic) right along with her.

It was only a few feet deep where Angelina, Lupin, and Black fell into the water, but they all emerged completely soaked. Spluttering, Angelina had only surfaced for a moment when Lupin playfully shoved her under again. Emma, who was still in the water, came to Angelina’s rescue and dunked Lupin in return. However, it was still early enough in the year that the water carried a hefty bite, and the water was so chilly that none of them were inclined to linger for long. After a bit more splashing and dunking, the dripping quartet made their way up the bank and towards the three people standing on the hill, waiting for them.

“Nice one, Angel…ina,” Potter added hastily, seeing the look on Angelina’s face at the nickname.

“Yeah, you gave the brutes what they deserved,” a sopping Lily agreed.

“Sorry about hitting you with the water balloon,” Angelina apologized sheepishly as the whole group made their way up to the cove of trees to lie in the sun. After the swim in the lake, the warm spring sunshine felt good on Angelina’s back.

“Yeah,” Lily began dryly, “that balloon sure made a difference.” She gestured sardonically at her drenched and dripping robes.

“Anyone want cake?” Emma chimed happily, completely unperturbed by having been dumped in a lake.

Angelina looked at her in astonishment. “Yeah, sure, invite our attackers to have cake. Like the three little pixies and the big bad troll.”

Emma cast Angelina a cheery smile. “They just need a little sweetness is all.”

Angelina rolled her eyes, but smiled nonetheless, and she flopped down on the picnic blanket. Her robes were already drying from the sun and she had completely dunked Black and Lupin, after all.

Emma served the cake and soon all were happily talking as if the water fight had never happened. Smiling in contentment, Angelina shut her eyes and lay back, enjoying the sun.

“Happy birthday,” came a low murmur in her ear. Turning on her side, Angelina cracked one eye open to squint at Sirius Black, who lay propped up on his elbow smiling down at her. She “humphed” and rolled away again, ignoring him.

“I brought you a birthday present.”

“What? Bubotuber pus?”

Black chuckled. “No. I think you’ll like it even more than bubotuber pus. If you can believe that.”

“Hum. I doubt it. Very useful it is. Healing properties and whatnot.” But Angelina turned over and opened her eyes.

“Well?” she said after a minute of Black staring at her. “Aren’t you going to give it to me? Or are you going to make me beg?”

“Well…” Black began, a smile twitching at the corner of his mouth. “That does sound interesting.”

Angelina hit him on the shoulder with surprising strength, and growled, “How ‘bout this: You give it to me now, and I won’t make you beg for mercy.”

Laughing arrogantly, Black reached into his robe pocket and withdrew a small package. “Now, it’s your fault it’s wet.”

“Yeah,” Angelina drawled sardonically. “Because I was the one trying to throw me in the lake.”

“Oh, close your mouth, my little howling harpy,” he said, affectionately tweaking Angelina on the nose. Blushing Angelina glanced down at the damp box in her hand.

“Well, go ahead and open it.”

Fingers trembling, Angelina began opening the wrappings.

“I’m cold,” she snapped when she saw Black’s lips twitching. He nodded solemnly, but couldn’t quite suppress the twinkle in his eyes.

“If you hadn’t tried to throw me in the lake…” she grumbled as she pulled the lid off the box. She fell silent as she looked inside. “It’s jewelry.”

“I thought you said you like jewelry.”

“When did I ever say that?”

Black didn’t answer. “Just try the damn bracelet on,” he bit out, taking the bracelet from her and clasping it about her wrist. “Here’s its charm.”

He dropped the charm into Angelina’s open palm. It was a beautiful miniature raven.

“I thought it could represent this past year. You know, going to Hogwarts. Being sorted into Ravenclaw. Everything.

“Andromeda suggested it. All my cousins got one their first year at school. And you add a charm to signify each year. I don’t know…” He paused uncertainly. “It’s stupid. You hate it. I know you’re not happy to be in Ravenclaw. I should have got something else””

“Shut up already. I like it. Really. Knock it off or I’ll Silencio you,” she threatened.

Black simply smiled down at her as Angelina glowered menacingly back, daring him to make it a big deal. He didn’t. Instead, he simply reached over and fastened the charm on to her bracelet. He beamed at her.

“Thanks,” Angelina whispered, feeling slightly awkward. Wanting to change the subject she asked, “What does the charm do?”

Black laughed. “Now you’ll just have to find that out for yourself. A boy’s got to keep some mystery surrounding him.”

He winked.

The peace between Angelina and Black was broken before it really even started, for at that moment Severus Snape burst into the clearing. Upon spotting Severus, Potter, who moments before had been eating cake and joking happily, jumped to his feet, his wand drawn.

“You filthy, greasy, cowardly hypocrite!” Potter yelled, his voice shaking with rage.

Black, too, rose to his feet and subtly raised his wand.

“Oh, yes,” Severus sneered, his face contorting cruelly. “You’re such a brave, noble hero. What, attacking two against one? Four against one? That is courageous. My skills do so outshine yours.”

His Gryffindor pride hurt, James brandished his wand and shot a jinx at Severus, who languidly blocked it.

“See. You can’t even touch me without the help of your little friends.”

The atmosphere in the clearing was tense.

Black stepped forward, edging towards Potter in case the Slytherin tried to pull anything dirty. In response to this move, Angelina rose as well, moving toward the boys with a threatening poise.

“Don’t you dare think of ganging up on him, Sirius Black,” she growled. “Some brave Gryffindors you lot are.”

“Don’t talk about what you don’t understand,” Potter spat, his voice cold.

“Don’t understand?” Angelina hissed, her eyes narrowing. Black cast his friend an exasperated look. If he had wanted to set the fierce raven-haired girl off, he had certainly done it now. “What do you foolish little boys think you ‘understand?’”

Potter’s eyes flashed and looked at Severus with a maniacal gleam in his eyes. “You want me to tell her Snape? Want me to tell your precious pure-blood friend your precious little secret? Like you showed the whole Great Hall mine?”

He looked at Severus and saw the flash of fear flicker across his face.

“What is he talking about Sev?” Angelina whispered, turning her gaze to the distraught young man. His face was silhouetted against the sky. It was getting on towards evening now, and the glowing red sun blazed behind him, making the clearing burn red with its fiery glare.

“Yes, what is it, Sev?” Potter mocked. “Why don’t you share with the class? You’re usually so eager to show how much you know. So why don’t you be a good know-it-all and tell your dear pure-blood friend what you are? I’m sure she won’t mind. Won’t think your trash. Filth. Scum of the earth.”

“Stop that!” Lily cried, as she too jumped to her feet from behind Potter. However, the boy paid her no heed.

“I’m sure your housemates would love to know. Why don’t we tell them? Why””

But at that moment, with a guttural cry, a spell shot out of Severus’s wand with such force that it knocked Potter to the ground. He collapsed his face covered in blood, the dark sticky liquid coating his robes Emma, Lupin, and Pettigrew hurried forward to help him. Lily stood motionless, staring in horror at the boy across the clearing from her.

“Don’t talk about things that are none of your business, Potter,” Severus snarled.

Black, enraged, turned on Severus; but Angelina interceded, stepping between them.

“Get out of the way, Angelina,” Black growled. “Don’t make me curse you. I will.”

“Don’t think I won’t block it, Black. Now stop harassing poor Severus.”

“Poor Severus,” Black spat in outrage. “Oh, yes. He’s a perfect saint. Hasn’t ever deceived you, Angelina. You know what James was about to tell you before your ‘poor Severus’ cursed him? No?”

Angelina’s eyes blazed in fury, but she shook her head reluctantly.

“Well, let me enlighten you. You know how Severus goes around looking down on ‘Mudbloods,’ calling people ‘blood traitors.’ Well, he’s little better himself. His mother’s the biggest blood traitor around. And his father? Never talks much about him, does he? His father is a Muggle,” Black finished maliciously.

Angelina shook with rage. “How dare you, Sirius Black?” she began. “How dare you act like blood matters to you? As if you care one lick about whom Snape’s parents are. You, Sirius Black, just want to humiliate him.”

Anger burning in her eyes, Angelina spun on her heel to face Snape.

“And you,” she growled, as Snape made to speak. “You,” she repeated, poking him in the chest with her extended wand. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me. I can’t believe you’re lying about who you are. As if that matters. When you are as talented as any of the other students in your house.”

“Like you could understand,” Snape spat, looking derisively at Angelina. “You, a pure-blood princess. When have you ever not carried what you precious father would thing? You’re a perfectly spoilt little hypocrite, just like the rest of them. You don’t care that I lied. You care because of my blood. Don’t pretend it wouldn’t have mattered if I told you. You think you’re so superior to Mudbloods, but you’re not. You don’t even have the skill to be sorted into Slytherin.

“So why don’t you hurry back to your fiancé, your foolish Gryffindor Knight in Sirius Black.”

Angelina flushed in embarrassment.

“Oh, you think I didn’t know? You should hear the things people say about the two of you in the Slytherin common room.” Snape smiled maliciously.

A flash of pain flickered across Angelina’s face, but her expression quickly smoothed into a coolly impersonal mask.

“Well,” Angelina drawled her voice as deadly sweet as the seeds of a Georgina Gidgee tree, “at least I’ll be marrying a pure-blood, which is more than your mother can say for herself.”

And with that she strolled away up to the castle, leaving a deadly silent clearing in her wake.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68996