More Than You Know by solemnlyswear_x
Summary: Lily Evans can’t help but have noticed something isn’t quite right. The inseparable Gryffindor boys aren’t speaking to one another, and Remus Lupin seems particularly withdrawn and upset. Figuring she should do something, Lily resolves to speak with Remus, but what should she say?
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2031 Read: 2236 Published: 07/02/07 Updated: 07/10/07

1. Chapter 1 by solemnlyswear_x

Chapter 1 by solemnlyswear_x
Author's Notes:
A/N: First of all, thanks to Fizzing_Wizbee022 for being an awesome beta and helping me with my tendency to word things weirdly. Also, according to Lexicon, the Marauders found out that Remus was a werewolf in their second year, so I’d think that by her sixth year, Lily could have easily figured it out on her own. Especially since she and Remus were both prefects “ they would have spent a lot of time together.
“She was there for me at a time when no one else was. She had a way of seeing the beauty in whoever she met, even -- and perhaps most especially -- when that person couldn't see it in themselves...” “ Remus Lupin, PoA Movie (which I know isn’t canon, per se, but it does open up a realm of possibilities).



Lily Evans wasn’t sure what was happening.

She had noticed it a few weeks ago while she was in the Common Room trying to solve a Muggle crossword puzzle. James Potter had entered through the portrait hole and completely ignored Sirius Black, who had been sitting in an armchair less than two feet away. Lily thought that maybe it had just been a one-time thing - after all, those two were inseparable “ but the next morning at breakfast, they sat at opposite ends of the Gryffindor table and didn’t say a word to one another.

It wasn’t just Black and Potter, though. All four Gryffindor boys, who were, as Lily’s friend Adela liked to say, joined at the hip, were avoiding each other like the Plague.

Lily wasn’t sure she had ever seen anything like it, and thinking back, she wasn’t sure if the four friends had ever been in a fight that had lasted longer than a day or two. But this had been more than three weeks running.

She generally tried her best to steer clear of Potter and his group of friends, but this was getting ridiculous. Avoiding them when they were together was simple “ they made enough noise to make even Professor Binns look up from his lectures “ but when they weren’t, they were completely spread throughout the castle. Perhaps more annoying, was that Lily always found herself around one of them. Peter sat next to her and her friends during lunch, and James was her partner during Transfiguration. The latter happened so frequently, that she began to wonder if the fight had been some ploy of James’s to win her attention.

Aggravating as it may have been, Lily wouldn’t have minded so much if she hadn’t noticed Remus becoming increasingly tired and withdrawn at their weekly Prefect meetings. Although the intellectual part of her knew she should mind her own business, the part of her that had always had a bit of a soft spot where Remus Lupin was concerned began to worry. After watching the boys' stony silence push four weeks, she convinced herself to do something.

It was for this reason, that Lily found herself catching up to James Potter outside the Gryffindor Common Room on a Saturday morning.

“Potter,” she called loudly. “Hey, Potter! Wait up, would you?”

He stopped walking and turned around to face her. “Morning, Evans. How may I be of service?”

“Do you know where Remus is?” she asked, ignoring the slight sarcasm in his tone, and planting what she hoped was a purely innocent look on her face.

James narrowed his eyes slightly. “And that concerns you, because?”

“Just wanted to see how he was doing; he’s seemed a little, er, upset lately,” Lily said, twirling a strand of red hair around her finger nervously. “So I was hoping you knew where he was so I could talk to him.”

“He’s outside.”

There was a bit of a pregnant pause following this, and when James didn’t offer any more information, she spoke up again. “It’s just that I noticed you all are having a bit of a row, and I wanted to-”

“Look, I know you just want to help,” James interrupted, “but please, Evans, this is one you should probably stay out of.”

She harrumphed. “Fine, I promise I’ll mind my own business,” she conceded, although she had no intent of keeping that pledge. There was another moment’s pause, and Lily turned to walk away. Almost immediately, James’s voice rang out, effectively stopping her in her tracks.

“Hey, Evans,” James called, “after you talk to him, will you let me know how he is?”

Lily turned to face him and smiled. The look on his face was one of pure exasperation, the kind adults sometimes wore when dealing with a particularly petulant child. “Sure, Potter.”

Both stood there awkwardly for a moment, each unsure what to do following such an unexpected moment of understanding. It ended abruptly when both turned and allowed themselves to be swept in opposite directions by the unending flow of students. Lily headed for the staircase that would lead her to the Entrance Hall, and rushed down the steps through the front doors and onto the grounds. It was a gloriously sunny morning, and it seemed that half of Hogwarts was bustling around outside. After a few moments of searching, Lily spotted a lone figure sitting against a tree by the lake. Squaring her shoulders resolutely, she made her way towards Remus.

When she arrived at his tree, he looked up, startled.

“Hi, Remus,” she said.

“Hey, Lily,” he replied, holding up his hand to shield the sun from his eyes as he looked at her.

“Mind if I sit for a minute?” she asked, suddenly uncomfortable.

He gestured to the grass next to him. “Sure.”

Lily sat down immediately and attempted to avoid eye contact with Remus. It was a moment before she spoke. “Well I noticed you and your friends are in a fight.” She paused and looked at her hands. “So I wanted to make sure you’re okay.”

“I’m fi-”

“Don’t say you’re fine,” Lily cut in, “because I know you’re not.”

“All right.” He sighed, looking out at the lake for a long moment before answering. A sardonic smile graced his features when he finally looked back at her. “Well, I wish the four of us weren’t fighting, but I’ll get through this,” Remus said. “So, I’ll be fine. Is that okay to say?”

Lily smiled wanly at his words, but she couldn’t help noticing he hadn’t said we’ll get through this. She wondered if Remus thought he’d never reconcile with his friends. “Can I ask why you’re fighting?”

“You could ask, but I’m not sure I’d tell you.”

“Well it’s just that I- I didn’t know if it was because you- you’re a -” Lily stammered.

Remus raised his eyebrows expectantly.

“Because you’re a werewolf, Remus,” Lily finally burst out.

He stared at her for the longest time, and Lily was unsure of what his reaction would be. Whatever he had thought she was going to say, it wasn’t that. For a moment, she was scared he would just walk away without saying a word.

Finally, after Lily felt that she couldn’t stand the silence any longer, he spoke.

“No,” Remus said quietly, “but yes.” He smiled sadly at her confused expression. “No, that’s not why we’re fighting, but yes, I am a werewolf. I have been since I was seven.”

“Oh,” she mumbled. Really, Lily, he admits he turns into a full-fledged werewolf every full moon, and that’s the best you can do - oh? She cleared her throat. “I, er, don’t mind.”

Remus’s eyes widened just slightly, and then he smiled. “I’m glad you don’t, Lily. That makes you one of the few.”

At this, Lily was filled with an overwhelming sense of pity for Remus. Please don’t let this be why they’re fighting; he doesn’t deserve that. “Well, that’s why I’m here, I thought maybe… Do Potter and Black know?” Lily bit her lip as she said this, hoping Remus’s lycanthropy hadn’t been the cause of the cold silence that had settled over Gryffindor Tower.

“Since the end of second year. Peter too.”

She sighed softly with relief, glad they hadn’t judged Remus. “Does Dumbledore know?” Lily asked, immediately wishing she hadn’t, having realized the stupidity of the question. Of course he knows, Lily thought. I’ve read about the registry. His name was added as soon as he was bitten.

“Yes,” Remus replied. “He was the one who let me come to Hogwarts. Dumbledore arranged all the, er, logistics, of the situation.”

“But then why are you fighting? I thought maybe they had found out…” she trailed off.

“Sirius played a, well, I guess you could say joke, on someone regarding my situation. The person very nearly encountered a fully transformed werewolf, but James intervened. James and Peter helped plan it, but didn’t realize how far Sirius would go, so that’s why they’re angry at Sirius. Obviously I was mad at them for pulling pranks around something as dangerous as a werewolf. We got into a bit of a shouting match after it happened. So that’s why we’re fighting.”

“That explains why you aren’t talking to each other, but is there something else?”

Remus opened and closed his mouth a few times before he spoke, as if planning what he was going to say. “It’s a full moon tomorrow, and it’s just that, well, the morning after the transformation always goes better if they’re around me.” Remus’s eyes didn’t quite meet Lily’s as he said this, giving her the distinct impression this wasn’t the entire reason, but she didn’t press him.

“Well,” Lily began, “if it’s any consolation, I just ran into James in the Entrance Hall, and he was worried about you. And I know it’s not the same, but after you change back, I’ll be there to help you. You know, if you want.”

“Thanks, Lily. That’s extraordinarily kind of you.”

Lily opened her mouth to say Merlin knew what, when she was interrupted by a loud voice.

“Lily! Lily “ come on! We’re going to be late for the game.”

Startled by the sound, Lily quickly snapped her head around. It was a Ravenclaw in her year “ Nicole Peterson, a girl with short brown hair and a quick smile. She and Lily had taken Arithmancy together during third year and had been friends ever since. It was the first Quidditch match of the season, and Lily had promised Nicole ages ago they would go together. Until this moment, however, she had completely forgotten.

“Oh, I“”

Remus smiled weakly. “Go ahead, Lily. No doubt James will play poorly if you don’t show.”

Lily laughed softly and stood up; Remus did the same alongside her. “I’m coming, Nicole,” she said. “You go ahead; I’ll catch up.”

“All right, I’ll start walking,” Nicole replied, a hint of irritation in her voice. “Hurry though, or we’ll miss the whistle.”

When she was a fair distance away, Lily turned back to face Remus.

“Lily, I mean, if you don’t mind “”

Before he could finish, Lily launched herself at Remus, crushing him in a hug. “I won’t tell anyone,” she whispered fiercely.

Lily let go and smiled, kissing him lightly on the cheek before walking away. She had only taken a few steps when she heard his voice.

“Lily!” Remus called, and Lily turned back quickly to face him. “Lily, I “” He paused, closing his eyes. “I “ I just “ Thank you. It means more than you know,” he finished finally.

As Lily looked at his worn face, the scar running down his cheek and deep circles underneath his eyes, she knew that he hadn’t said what he had wanted to at all. And somehow “ somehow “ she knew he never would.

“You’re welcome, Remus. And if it makes you feel any better, I know everything will work out,” Lily said. “Maybe I’ll see you at the game….”

With that, she hurried to catch up with Nicole, who had stopped walking and was watching Lily and Remus with her hands on her hips. Lily paused once more to wave and smile back at Remus, who was still watching her from his spot by the lake.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=69251