Search for Truth by Cwiddy
Summary: Remus Lupin finds himself on a search for truth and answers. It all started by picking up a Chocolate Frog Card.




Categories: Mystery Characters: None
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3791 Read: 1277 Published: 07/17/07 Updated: 07/18/07

1. Chapter 1 by Cwiddy

Chapter 1 by Cwiddy
Author's Notes:
This was written for the July Mini-Challenge and was written by Cwiddy of Hufflepuff House.


Remus Lupin groaned, not wanting to awake but the steady tapping just would not subside. He rolled over and realized that there was an owl tapping at his window to get in. A crash of thunder and the splash of rain in the windowpane added to the noise that filled his little room. When Remus had subscribed to the Daily Prophet he knew that he needed to keep astride of everything going on in the world, even when undercover with the werewolves. He had forgotten how early in the morning most of the papers were delivered.

He pushed himself up to let the owl in, so that it could deliver his paper. He offered the owl a few breadcrumbs leftover from his dinner the evening before. The owl quickly ate them before flying off into the damp and dreary world.

Remus found himself missing Nymphadora Tonks as he glanced through the stories in the paper. Voldemort was keeping busy these days. Now that Dumbledore was gone, it seemed that Voldemort had nothing to fear. The Death Eaters were striking everywhere. Muggles were dying left and right. Witches and wizards who defied him were disappearing or dying mysteriously daily. It was a dark and dangerous world that Remus found himself living in, as if being a werewolf was not a big enough challenge.

Then he happened upon a story from Harry Potter. Remus’s heart swelled with pride as he read a eulogy from Harry for Albus Dumbledore. Remus could see that the letter was Harry’s way of trying to build hope in the hearts of the wizarding community; perhaps to draw more people into the cause against Voldemort. Then Remus found himself thinking about Nymphadora who was a ray of sunshine in his life; he was still surprised that a beautiful woman like her could love a man such as him.

Remus moved about his room, straightening it up. As he cleaned up his table he came across two Chocolate Frog Cards. These must be from the chocolate that Nymphadora brought over the other night. She had wanted to forget the troubles of the world for a few minutes. It was nice to behave as children and just enjoy some chocolate and a game of Exploding Snaps for a few hours. The good moments just didn’t last long enough.

He took a closer look at the cards. The first was Hesper Starkey; he had to look hard at the card to see her hiding back in the shadows, almost as if she was hiding from the moonlight that spilled down across the card. He could relate: as a werewolf he hid from the moonlight, too. The second was Cliodne, who floated on her card, smiling peacefully up at Remus. He reached over and picked up the card of Cliodne, whose smile brightened his heart against the pain and death of the world and made him think of the hope that Harry’s letter would give at least a few in the wizarding community.

Remus took a closer look at the card in his hands. The longer he looked at it, the more something just didn’t feel right about it. He remembered collecting the cards as a young man, trading them with his friends and something was different, out of place on the card he was holding. As he studied the card, he found three strange markings. He just couldn’t quite make out what they were. Then he noticed that the paint that had been used to put the picture of Cliodne on the card was cracked and worn in the middle, where the marks seemed to originate. Remus started to rub at the area with his fingers and as they ran across the marks he felt a pull on him, a familiar jerking sensation. Remus knew that this card must be a Portkey. As he was pulled towards the unknown, he flung out his hand to grab his wand.

When Remus landed, it took him a second to regain his balance, but his wand was up and ready for anything. He felt darkness clinging to the meadow that he now found himself standing in. Dark Magic clung about the entire area; Remus felt it clawing at him as the werewolf inside him did during the full moon. What is going on here? That card must have been made so that it lures people to this spot, and the maker of the card must not have cared whether the person was a child or not. What is the meaning of this place - and what can I do to stop the darkness that comes from here?

Remus cautiously examined the area around him. As he turned around he saw an alter, skulls and dried blood lay about the polished ivory that sat upon the mound in the middle of the meadow. The alter is clean and spotless so this area is ready for its next victim. Hope that is not me! Someone is doing sacrifices or some other form of Dark Magic here. I can only assume that Voldemort has something to do with this evil place, or will sometime soon.

Remus was on the lookout as he moved towards the alter, trying to find clues as to where he was and who might be conducting ceremonies in this corrupted field. As he moved to the back of the alter, he found a collection of knives and ropes. Remus had enough knowledge of the Dark Arts to know that he did not want to know the specifics of the ceremonies that took place here.

As he moved about the area Remus felt the darkness sink into his body. It was only by clinging to the memories of Harry, Ron, Hermione, and his beautiful Nymphadora that he did not fall down into despair. He needed to find a way out soon. The effect here was almost worst then the hopelessness that a Dementor caused, only he could not create a Patronus to help him get away from this nightmare.

Remus started to run, he needed to get away from the alter and the Dark Magic that was filling the air before despair consumed him. After a few minutes he found himself deeper in the forest that had surrounded the meadow and he paused to catch his breath under a towering oak tree. His breathing slowing changed from gasping to normal breathing and he took a look around.

Now that his heart was not pounding in his ears and he was not gasping from his flight, he heard loud grunting coming from in front of him. He raised his wand and cautiously moved forward into the cover of the shorter pine trees that surrounded the oak he had originally stopped to rest by. As he moved from tree to tree he finally saw an end to the forest in which he was hiding and what he saw caused him to pause once more.

At the edge of the wood was a giant camp, their large tents surrounded a hearth with what to him was a bonfire burning at the center. Eight giants moved about the camp, and he started to back further into the woods again when he heard a ninth giant behind him. Now he could not go back to hide and he couldn’t go forward. What can I do now? I can’t go back towards that clearing, I can still feel a little of the Dark Magic that filled that place. I know I don’t want to be the next victim of that place, so I can’t go back. I know - I’ll Apparate home. I’ll be left with a lot of questions, but at least I’ll still be alive!

Remus tried to Apparate, but found that he couldn’t. He looked forward at the camp of Giants, realizing that he may have to go through it. The giant that was behind him moved out of the woods and entered the camp a tree in his hands that he was using as a toothpick. The other giants saw what he was doing and came towards where Remus was hiding to get trees for themselves. Remus backed up a bit further into the forest and the feeling of despair that he had felt in the forest meadow started to creep back into him. I definitely can’t go back…the only way to go is forward, but how do I get past all those giants?

He moved forward again back towards the giant camp and sighed with relief that the feeling of despair lightened the further he went towards the edge of the forest. He watched the giants a few more minutes and realized that they were using the trees to dislodge what looked a bit like human bones from their teeth. Wow, that makes me feel a WHOLE lot better! At least they are full, but how am I going to get through the camp? I sure wish I had James’ invisibility cloak right about now! If I’m going to do this, I’m going to need a shielding charm so that I don’t get hit by any of the things the giants are throwing around, silencing charm so that they don’t hear me move through their camp, and so that these giants don’t see me a disillusionment charm. Those should do the trick.

Being as quiet as he could, Remus proceeded to first cast a disillusionment charm on himself, then a shielding charm, and then a silencing charm so that he could sneak through the giant camp. As carefully as he could, Remus cautiously moved through the giant camp.

Once through the giant camp Remus removed the charms from himself and paused to take a deep breath and think. He was unsure how to proceed from here. Should he try to find someone and tell them about the evil alter and the camp of giants or should he investigate further himself?

In the end Remus’s curiosity won the battle and Remus found himself taking yet another close look at the Chocolate frog card that had started his adventure. Then it hit him, the symbols on the card reminded him of some of the magical creatures used to make magic wands. The first symbol looked a bit like a unicorn, the second like a phoenix, and the third of a dragon. Remus wondered if he could find any clues to the symbols at Ollivander’s abandoned shop. He had no other clues to follow, so he tried to Apparate to Diagon Alley. Here there was nothing preventing him from Apparating.

The day had rushed by and Remus found Diagon Alley encased in the shadows of night. There were few people who walked the streets this time of night, especially with the threat of the Death Eaters who preferred to attack at night. Remus found his way to Ollivander’s shop and let himself in, magically unlocking the door.

The shop was covered in a thick coat of dust and the shelves that once were filled with thousands of wands were now empty. As Remus examined the shop, thinking about all the wands that had been sold there to friends and family members, something caught his eye in the front window. Six wizard cards were lying in the window that once had held a single wand resting on a faded violet cushion. He was drawn towards one card in particular; one that seemed to belong in the wand shop window. The card portrayed Rowena Ravenclaw holding her own wand in an outstretched arm. Remus bent over and picked up the card to take a closer look.

As Remus looked at the card he saw Rowena motioning to him. As he peered closer he saw that she was standing in front of Hogwarts, which was not where the original card had portrayed her. This must be another clue for me to follow, but what am I supposed to do?

Remus watched the card and the picture of Rowena walked towards the front of Hogwarts castle and she beckoned to him to follow. This is so unusual! Guess I need to go to Hogwarts next. I sure am getting my exercise tonight!

Remus placed the card in one of the hidden pockets of his robes and Apparated to outside the gates of Hogwarts. Looking up at the castle he saw lights flickering in one of the towers. What is someone doing up this late at night? I don’t want to startle anyone or have a run in with someone, think I’ll hide myself again.

Remus cast the Disillusionment Charm on himself by tapping his head with his wand and crept onto the Hogwarts grounds. As he neared the castle, Remus took out the card again and scrutinized it. The Rowena on the card approached a gargoyle and like the old Marauder’s map used to do, the words “Viata Cuniculum” appeared between Rowena and the gargoyle.

Remus inspected the front of the castle and saw a gargoyle not far to the right of the main entrance that looked like the one on the card. As he approached it he muttered “Viata Cuniculum” and abruptly seven rocks next to the castle wall disintegrated and Remus found he was gazing into the entrance of an oversized tunnel. Well, I’ve come this far, guess I need to go inside. Remus cautiously moved into the tunnel, his wand at the ready.

Remus found just enough light within the passage that his werewolf eyes did not need him to light the way. Remus walked along the passageway until he came to a fork in the path. He was unsure which way to head. He stood there uncertainly looking up both paths. As he stood there, he noticed that one appeared brighter then the other, almost as if a torch was lit ahead.

Something must be up that path. Glad I’m still under the Disillusionment Charm. That will keep me hid. I’m also glad that my vision is still enhanced by the wolf within me. That also keeps me concealed.

Remus started up the path that looked like there was a torch ahead. He had only gone about three steps when the path closed in around him. His breath caught up in his chest and darkness overtook him as he slipped into unconsciousness.

Drip, drip, drip. Remus awoke and found himself lying on the rocky path. Stones bit into his skin, and he could feel where several bruises had formed from his fall. He tasted blood in his mouth, and ran his tongue over his lip and found where it had split from his fall.

What happened? What made me blackout? Remus thought as he slowly got up. There was nothing in the passageway. He sensed no magic about him, and this close to the full moon his werewolf senses were still about him.

Remus continued up the path again, moving towards the flickering light in the distance. I need to see what is up there! Hidden all this time right beneath the steps of Hogwarts! Is this a secret lair of Death Eaters?

Remus had not gone far again when he came to yet another fork in the road. Again, one path was bathed in pure darkness, while a light flickered in the distance up the other. Keep going towards the light. If I find nothing, at least then I’ll know the paths I have not taken.

Remus cautiously moved up the brighter path again. Again he moved forward only about three steps when the path closed in upon him and he again found the air stolen right out of his lungs. He lapsed into unconsciousness again.

Remus awoke and pulled his bruised and weakening body up from the damp, cold, rocky path two more times after collapsing into unconsciousness for an unknown reason. Each time he was more cautious, and each time he sensed nothing about him. At each fork in the road, after moving up the lit path three steps, darkness overtook him.

He rolled over onto his back, the stones sunk into tender, bruised skin again. What is going on here? I heard nothing, saw nothing, and smelled nothing? Why do I keep passing out?

Remus studied the path around him. All he saw was rock, water dripping down the stone, and the dancing light in the distance. The light is almost laughing at me! Am I in this tunnel only to loose my mind? I need to keep going to find out what is going on, but what will I find? I wonder if I can Apparate out of this nightmare. Remus tried to Apparate home, but the magic protecting Hogwarts remained in this dark place.

Remus climbed to his feet again. He studied the entire passage way with each step. All his senses were on the alert. After a minute he came to yet another fork in the road. He had already made up his mind to keep searching for the source of the light. He slowly stepped into the brighter passage again. He searched the passageway for anything out of the ordinary. None of his senses gave him any more information. He took a second step all his senses screaming at him that all was normal. He took a third step and darkness came, enveloping him, pulling him down into dreamless sleep.

Remus woke for the fifth time. His body ached, worse then he had hurt in many years. Exhaustion pulled on his body, slowing his movements. Bruises shouted out their objections to activity as he slowly got to his feet once more. Looking about him Remus realized that he remained standing in the very first fork in the path he had found in this cursed tunnel.

He had progressed nowhere. Studying the passages in front of him, Remus realized that it was not he who had a disillusionment charm placed on him, but the paths. There must have been a charm at the beginning of the passage that removed his disillusionment charm. Wand at the ready, he moved into the darkness which he had tried so hard to escape. Fear of the night and the darkness within had kept Remus moving towards the light. He should have known that sometimes it is the light in the night that can cause more problems then the darkness. Wasn’t it the moon that caused his transformation into a wolf to occur?

This time the third step into the darkness found him standing in a cavern. A fire was lit in a hearth directly across from him. His wand was drawn, and his breath caught in his chest this time, but not as darkness engulfed him, but in shock.

“So you have finally figured out the clues, have you Lupin? I would have thought that someone such as you would have found their way here much faster. Did the protective charms befuddle your brain? Or was the wolf still in control of your mind? I should have known better then hope that my little clues would be enough to guide you here in a timely manner,” sneered Severus Snape from a chair next to the fire. His wand clutched in his hand.

“I told you not to trust in a worthless werewolf, Professor,” taunted Draco Malfoy, who was sitting behind Snape next to the hearth.

“Quiet, Draco. There was no one else to trust. No one else who may believe that I only did what Dumbledore wanted,” uttered Snape to Draco.

“Lupin, welcome to our little, for lack of a better word, lair. Sorry to give you such an adventure, especially so close to the full moon, but you see I needed to get in touch with the Order. I have some things to report. I know that most of you won’t believe me after Dumbledore’s unfortunate death. He was the only person who ever believed in me. He made me promise a long time ago to protect my students, no matter what. I made an Unbreakable Vow to do what I could to protect the students of Hogwarts.”

Remus stood there, in shock. Unsure of what he should do.

“Oh, do put your wand down Lupin. You know better then most the things that necessity forces us to do. I will always wish that circumstances did not lead me into the necessity of killing the one person who saw more in me then a sneaky Death Eater. I guess we both knew that when he gave me the Defense Against the Darks Arts position last year, it would be my last year at Hogwarts. This boy condemned me, and I just hope that my sacrifice will yet save the ungrateful youth. I need your assistance in getting information to the Order. They will trust information from you. I hate to say it, but I need you to trust me now, too.”

Snape put down his wand and stood. He was at Remus’ mercy. That single act proved to Remus that Snape was still good. He wanted to deny it, how could someone be on the good side and commit murder, especially of a man such as Dumbledore?

“Dumbledore knew that the final battle between the Dark Lord and Potter could not take place while he still lived. Dumbledore knew he was a target of the Dark Lord. He also knew that Draco was assigned the job to kill him. He would not allow the Dark Lord to steal away one of his student’s lives like that. Dumbledore knew that he needed to die. He just didn’t think it would be quite that soon. The final battle approaches and decisions need to be made. Will you allow me to take my place in the battle against the Dark Lord, to find redemption for the murder of Lily all those years ago, or will I die here at your hands?”

Remus raised his wand at Severus’s chest. “How do I know that you are not here at Voldemort’s command, to continue your work for him? How could you kill Albus? How can I trust what you are saying?” he asked of Snape.

“We all have to walk into the darkness at some point, Lupin. Some of us will emerge into the light again, and some of us will find ourselves trapped in eternal darkness. I have taken those steps, and now it is up to you Lupin, whether I emerge back into the light or whether I remained trapped,” whispered Severus as he looked Remus directly in the eyes.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=69966