Jackie and her Giant by Thoth
Summary: As hard as it is to believe, Rubeus Hagrid was once eleven. Follow along through his awkwardness of being half giant, the death of his only parent, a very scandalous third year and his friendship with Jackie O’Reily, the only person who saw him for what he really was.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1845 Read: 1395 Published: 07/31/07 Updated: 08/02/07

1. When They Met... by Thoth

When They Met... by Thoth
Author's Notes:
I figured it was about time there were some stories about Hagrid around, so I wrote one! Oodles of thanks to my betas, Sonicdale and Just Beyond the Veil. I'm sorry if the Sorting song is a bit painful, but I'm not much of a poet.
Rubeus Hagrid felt, certainly not for the first time in his life, awkward and extremely out of place.

Everyone, children and parents alike, was either staring at him as they bustled towards the train or whispering, “Stop! It’s not polite to stare,” to their neighbors.

He had already said a tearful goodbye to his father, who then hurried off to work, leaving him alone on the platform. Hagrid readjusted his hold on his barn owl, Barry, a gift from his father upon receiving his letter, and set off, careful not to tread on anyone’s toes, through Platform 9 ¾ to find a compartment on the Hogwarts Express.

Hagrid, unlike other eleven year olds, was already nearly six feet tall and very broad. He knew for a fact that he would not fit in with all the other first years, but that worry was slowly sliding behind his excitement to learn magic.

Finding an empty compartment near the middle of the train, Hagrid eased himself into it and stowed away his things. He then he sat down and waited for the train to move, and perhaps for the sweet trolley to arrive.

“Oi! You!”

Curiously, Hagrid peered out around his open compartment door to watch the scene occurring in the hall.

A tall, blonde girl was helping a smaller, mousy-looking girl to her feet. Hagrid slid open his door a little more.

“What?” snapped a third girl, who, although shorter then the blonde one, looked to be several years older.

“Are you going to say sorry?” demanded the blonde girl.

“Say sorry for what?” This girl had a nasty look about her. It seemed as if she was all glaring eyes and pursed lips.

“Well,” said the blonde girl, “you just plowed this kid over and nearly flattened her cat. I know if my cat nearly got flattened by someone who looks like she’s been sucking on a lemon, I’d want an apology.”

“Wow! That was quite an insult,” the other girl sneered. “Though, I wasn’t expecting anything more. Look at you, you’re practically a Muggle!” At that she sauntered off down the hall.

“Stupid prig,” Hagrid heard the blonde girl mutter.

He stood up and pushed the compartment door open all the way. The mousy girl’s trunk had come unlocked and her books and quills were scattered over the floor.

“Would yeh like some help with that?” he asked.

The small girl jumped. The taller one did, too, but she covered it with a sharp grin. “Help would be great.”

With the help of Hagrid’s large hands everything was quickly stowed back into the trunk.

“Thank you,” the small girl squeaked before scurrying off.

The blonde girl turned to him. She had green eyes. “Thanks for helping,” she said.

“Don’ worry ‘bout it,” Hagrid replied as the train began to move.

“Do you know who that girl was?” she asked. “I hope everyone isn’t as mean as that.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Hagrid said slowly. “S’my first year.”

And here it would come. The, “But you’re huge! You can’t be eleven!”

Her eyes widened just a bit. Then she smiled. “You’re a first year?” Hagrid nodded. “Brilliant, me too!”

“I “ I’m Rubeus “ Rubeus Hagrid,” he managed, surprised.

She offered him her hand. It was very small. “It’s nice to meet you, Rubeus. My name’s Jackie O’Reily.”

They shook hands. His engulfed hers.

“Do you mind if I share your compartment? You don’t seem to have any company,” Jackie said, picking up a cage with a small, fat toad in it.

Hagrid looked back into his compartment. It was, as she had noticed, empty. “Er “ sure. I’ll help yeh with yer trunk.”

Once everything was settled away, Jackie sat down across from him, folding her legs under her.

“That was wrong, what that girl said to yeh,” Hagrid said abruptly, voicing what he had been thinking.

“That I’m practically a Muggle?” Jackie replied, her tone just a bit cooler. “That shouldn’t be an insult. My whole family are Muggles and they don’t seem to mind it one bit. I’d like to see that girl screw in a light bulb without magic, let alone invent one.”

Hagrid laughed at that. “But … you don’ mind?”

She raised her eyebrows. “Of course I mind… If we were in the Muggle world, I’d call her a witch, and that would be an insult. It’s just like calling her a completely foul girl who probably has a few too many warts.”

This made Hagrid relax. The first person he met did not care that she was Muggle-born and did not seem to mind that he took up half the compartment. He laughed and settled back into his seat. He had a feeling that the train ride, which he thought would be long and lonely, might not be that bad at all.

*

Hagrid stood at the edge of the water, gazing out at the large, black mass before him. A little fleet of boats bobbed in the water, making soothing, lapping noises.

“Now!” shouted the man, Ogg, who had come to collect them from the platform. “I want three to a boat!”

He stopped Hagrid as the large first year moved towards a boat with Jackie at his side. “You come in my boat, sonny,” he grunted.

Scowling slightly, Hagrid climbed in behind Ogg, watching Jackie jump into another boat with two other girls.

Ogg tapped the prow of the boat with his wand, and all the boats slid forward noiselessly.

“Apologize for taking you away from your friend, but my boat’s a bit bigger,” Ogg said as he held up a lantern.

Hagrid nodded and waited silently for Hogwarts to slip into sight. The anxiety of being Sorted was tearing away at his insides. His dad had been a Hufflepuff, but what about him?

Finally, he got his first look at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he would, although he did not know it then, live for the rest of his life.

“Blimey,” he muttered under his breath.

Sparkling lights shone out of huge windows, and tall towers shot up into the sky. How could anyone ever think he was too big in a place like this? He actually felt a little small.

The boats slid onto the shore and Hagrid lumbered out onto the bank. Jackie appeared at his elbow as all the first years huddled together.

“Brilliant,” Jackie breathed. “Just…wow.”

He was about to agree when Ogg began herding them towards the castle, and he became too nervous to speak. He nearly tripped on the ends of his robes several times before they reached the great oak doors.

Ogg pushed the doors open and they were all dazzled. This must be the Entrance Hall, Hagrid thought. His dad had told him all about the sparkling lights and the marble floor. He relayed this information in a whisper to Jackie.

“Come on now, in you go!” Ogg called. “They’re waiting on yah.”

As a group they all scurried into the Entrance Hall and were met by a very short wizard, who looked like he had come across a Shrinking Charm. Hagrid shuffled back into the group as to not be compared.

“Welcome, first years!” the wizard squeaked. “I am Professor Flitwick, Head of Ravenclaw House! If you will follow me into the Great Hall, we’ll get you Sorted.”

Hagrid followed Professor Flitwick across the Entrance Hall with the rest of the first years.

“How do they sort you?” Jackie whispered.

“They use a hat. That’s what my da’ told me,” Hagrid replied, bending down to whisper in her ear.

Then, before he knew it, Hagrid was standing in front of the staff table, at which many witches and wizards sat looking down at them, some sternly and some happily, feeling as if his stomach was trying to escape up his throat.

He looked at the old, battered hat. How would that decide…?

“Oh, I may not be very clean,
I’m far from being pretty,
But I’ll tell you what’s not plainly seen,
And if you’re smart and witty.

For you might belong in Ravenclaw,
Where they always want the answers more.
Those Ravenclaws will tell you,
That two plus two is four.

Or you might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and true,
Remembering what is fair,
Is what those Hufflepuffs will do.

And if you’re chosen for Gryffindor,
You might have a heart of gold.
Never cross a Gryffindor,
For they are very bold.

But you might be placed in Slytherin,
They will not take a joke,
Those Slytherins are quick-witted,
And very cunning folk.

So just put me on, I won’t do harm,
Just show you where you’ll go.
Whether smart or brave or sly or just,
I’ll finish up the show.”


The Hall burst into applause. Hagrid clapped loudly; he hadn’t been expecting that.

Professor Flitwick stepped forward. “When I call your name, sit on the stool and place the Sorting Hat on your head. Then, you will be Sorted and must sit at the appropriate table.”

Hagrid fidgeted nervously. At the staff table, a tall wizard with a remarkably long beard and twinkling eyes caught his eye and smiled. Some of the butterflies left his stomach.

“Anderson, Rhea.”

Rhea Anderson started at her name being first, before placing the hat on her head.

The Hall was silent for a moment, and then, “SLYTHERIN!”

The Slytherin table applauded loudly. Hagrid waited for his turn.

He had to wait until Jeremy Goaded hurried off to Hufflepuff before he could sit on the stool. It creaked threateningly under his weight.

“A half-breed?” mused a voice in his ear. “Oh, my.”

What does that have to do with anything? Hagrid thought sourly, remembering all Jackie had said.

“Nothing, really. It’s just interesting. Now, let’s see, where do you belong?”

Hagrid waited impatiently as the hat muttered to itself.

“It seems you’re fit for…GRYFFINDOR!”

He grinned, his eyes crinkling up, as he headed for the Gryffindor table, which was cheering loudly. He had not fancied himself brave before.

They made room for him and he sat down to watch the rest of the Sorting.

When Professor Flitwick called, “O’Reily, Jacqueline!” Hagrid waited with bated breath. He liked Jackie, and it would be good to have someone he already knew in his own House.

Jackie, looking flushed, sat down and put on the hat. After about thirty seconds or so, the hat opened its rip and declared, “GRYFFINDOR!”

Hagrid clapped happily. Now, Jackie, she seemed brave and bold.

She sat down across from him. “Fancy seeing you here!” She grinned.

“It’s great ter see you here, too!” he said, and for the first time in his life, he was not ashamed of his size, because now he knew that someone else wasn’t either.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70501