Nerves and a Snitch by Marauder by Midnight
Summary: James Potter has been chosen to replace the Gryffindor Seeker. Is he prepared to follow the orders of his Quidditch captain or will he ruin the game by being the arrogant young boy he is?
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1743 Read: 1905 Published: 08/03/07 Updated: 08/03/07

1. Nerves and a Snitch by Marauder by Midnight

Nerves and a Snitch by Marauder by Midnight
Author's Notes:
Just to clear up any confusion: James Potter is a Chaser, BUT I'm thinking he might've been a Seeker before he found he liked playing Chaser better.
Nerves and a Snitch
by Marauder by Midnight


“Quit dawdling, Potter! Get your robes on!” Otis Wood yelled impatiently before leaving the changing room in a huff.

The second-year boy looked helplessly at the crumpled pile of scarlet and gold garments lying at his feet. He clenched his fists as he silently willed the other Quidditch players to stop staring at him. ‘Whoa, breathe, James,’ he told himself mentally. ‘Just get dressed and get ready to go. Just like we practiced.’ So he bent down and picked up his robes, tossing them over his shoulder nonchalantly as he walked to a more private section of the locker room to change.

When he finished, he made his way through the older Gryffindors to the single full-length mirror. What he saw completely blew his mind. Instead of looking like the scrawny kid he was before, he resembled the strength and firmness that characterised his father, a man he’d always looked up to. The wrinkled robes he’d put on fit him snugly, all the creases disappearing as if by magic. His wild, jet-black hair was sticking up as always, but instead of making him look mad like before, he looked smart, sophisticated, and absolutely charming. The blubber that hung from his cheeks (he winced slightly at the memory of Aunt Alice pinching them) wasn’t as bulging, for some reason; a set jawbone was beginning to stick out from under the padding. ‘Must’ve been due to the meals I’ve skipped recently,’ he thought proudly, though he still resented the long practices he had had to endure.

“Oye, Potter! Unglue yourself from in front of the mirror! We’ve got a game to play!” Wood was shouting at him, snapping James from his self-examination.

James grumbled as he made his way to the door, picking up his Nimbus 1001 as he went. He avoided eye contact with Wood as he slinked past the Quidditch captain silently, even as Wood barked, “And look lively, mate! Don’t forget your position!” behind him.

“And here comes the all-star Gryffindor team!” Levi Jordan announced proudly, resulting in a deafening cheer from the Gryffindor end of the Quidditch pitch. James squinted as his eyes adjusted to the blinding sunlight, but he could just make out the lion emblem on the flags his Housemates were waving. “Peakes, McLaggen, Thomas, Johnson, Bell, and newcomer James Potter are all on the field. Otis Wood, captain of this marvelous team, steps up to shake Slytherin captain Vaisey’s hand. Ooh, did you see that look, folks? This game could get pretty ugly.”

Madame Hooch signaled for all the players to gather. “Now, I want a clean game, understand?” her gaze lingering longer on the Slytherins. “Mount your brooms!”

James walked a bit away from the tiny circle of Quidditch players, making sure he could get a good head start. He stumbled a bit as he made his way around the particularly giant Crabbe, causing a hearty laugh from the spectators. “Ooh, Potter’s not off to a good start. That’s not something we want to see from our Seekers, Potter! You know, he’s quite the contrary to the stunningly beautiful Kleats who sadly left last year.”

Blushing furiously, James swung his right leg over the broomstick, feverishly praying he wouldn’t fumble again.

“Players ready?” Madame Hooch called out. James nodded, for his own satisfaction, before kicking off at the shrill sound of her whistle, heading straight for the clouds to take up the position Wood had instructed for him. When he went as far as he dared, he turned back around to watch the game taking place below him.

“And they’re off! Thomas takes up the Quaffle and makes a pass to Peakes. Ooh, not good! Crabbe sent a whomping Bludger his way, giving the Quaffle to the Slytherins! Vaisey moves like lightning toward the goal, where Wood anxiously awaits him. Vaisey aims… he shoots…and he scores! Oh, what a loss! Ah well, cheer up, Wood. It’s only the first goal!”

But that first goal was followed by four more before Johnson finally made a Quaffle into the Slytherin goal, setting off a vociferous roar from the Gryffindor end. James continued to circle the Quidditch pitch above, watching like a vulture, hoping for some shimmer from the evasive Snitch’s golden wings. As if hearing his thoughts, he saw Higgs, the Slytherin Seeker, grin lazily up at him before diving rapidly toward the ground.

“Oh and it seems like Higgs sees the Snitch! He goes in for it…”

James’s eyes widened before hurling himself after Higgs, ignoring Wood’s frantic cries to return to his position above the pitch. He watches as Higgs approaches the grass at alarming speeds before sharply turning up.

“And oh, he’s just feinting. Sorry, mates, Professor McGonagall. Ouch, looks like Potter hasn’t quite learned how to pull up as fast.”

James hadn’t had the time to pull up as quickly as Higgs. Running head-on into the grass, he flew a few feet from his broom and landed in a crumpled heap. He heard the fanatic cheers of the Slytherins overcome the strident blow of Madame Hooch’s whistle. He felt himself lifted up gingerly by the referee.

“Are you all right, Potter?” Madame Hooch asked gently. “No broken bones?”

James pulled himself together while pushing himself from Madame Hooch’s steadying hand. “I’m fine.” He watched apprehensively as Wood landed next to Madame Hooch, preparing himself for further public humiliation.

“Potter! What did I tell you? You needed to stay up there no matter what. Only move if you see the Snitch yourself!” Wood screeched.

James pretended to adjust his glasses as Wood’s words rang painfully in his ear. Madame Hooch glared at Wood before watching James with concerned eyes. “Will you be able to continue?”

James stood straighter. “Yes, ma’am. I will.” Without another word, he turned, picked up his broom, and retreated into the sky.

“Bloody git,” James mumbled as he took his position above the pitch, watching Higgs fly to the Slytherin end of the Quidditch pitch to receive a round of applause. He sulked silently as he watched Wood save a few Quaffles before letting an equal number of Quaffles in. After a few of those pathetic saves, James’s eyes wandered to a different area.

He flew over to the Gryffindor end of the Quidditch field to see if he could spot his friends. And indeed, there they were: Sirius Black supporting himself on a helpless first-year’s head while trying to see above the crowd; Peter Pettigrew clapping innocently as the Slytherins earned another ten points for their team; Remus Lupin conversing politely with Lily Evans on his right, who was casually glancing up in James’s direction. At the sight of the redhead, James felt a lump crawl up his throat. He blushed fiercely when he realised how foolish he’d look.

Just as James hoped vainly that Lily could’ve missed that entire episode, Levi Jordan cried out, “And another ten points for the Slytherins! Two hundred points for Slytherins so far while the Gryffindors drag behind with a petty eighty points! The Gryffindors need to get the Snitch now to win. Oh, will that Seeker make a comeback?”

At this, Lily Evans and Remus Lupin tilted their heads to the sky, making eye contact with James. Remus’s brow wrinkled in curiosity while Lily frowned at him, opening her mouth as if to chastise him for idling before her common sense took over.

“And another goal for the Slytherins! If Gryffindors find the Snitch now, they’ll be able to win by a meager twenty points!”

Suddenly, James’s sharp eyes caught sight of something glittering in the sun and plummeted toward the field again, ignoring Wood’s angry shouts. James’s hazel eyes locked onto the tiny golden sphere, dodging with ease as a Bludger was hurled his way. “And James Potter makes another appearance, much to the relief of spectators and commentators! But does he see that Snitch he needs so dearly?” Levi Jordan boomed.

James watched his target intently and suddenly reached out his hand. He could hear the crowd stand up in unison as they drew closer to the edge to watch. As swiftly as he had reached out, James snatched at the air and withdrew his hand. The cheer that had greeted James soon died out.

Out of the corner of his eyes, James spotted Higgs making a rapid approach. He smirked knowingly before pulling up to the sky. Alarmed, Higgs followed, precisely as James had planned. James flew ever faster up toward the smiling sun, never showing any intent to slow down, much to Higgs’s dismay. Higgs increased his speed, hoping to outfly James to whatever it was he saw. James began to struggle to take in air. At the first chance he got, he took a huge gulp of air and held it.

As Higgs flew higher and higher, however, his oxygen intake decreased. He began to slow down, but seeing his opponent circling him with that sneer on his face urged him to continue the doomed climb to the sun. Finally, he went as far as his lungs could take; giving out a mighty scream, Higgs plunged back to the earth, gasping for breath as he went. He landed hastily to everyone’s surprise and collapsed on the lush grass, trying to catch his breath.

Meanwhile, James flew back down calmly, landing perfectly and precisely, as he raised his right hand triumphantly. The whole stadium jumped up in shock and cheered, a thunderous sound like nothing James had ever heard before.

“And the Gryffindors win! They win the first game of the year!” Levi bellowed ecstatically. “Oh, what a happy day for the Gryffindors! What a turn of events!”

James felt someone patting him on the back. He turned around, his smile faltering as he beheld the sight of Otis Wood. “Good job, Potter. But perhaps, next time we’ll give you a more active position. I could tell you couldn’t stand waiting up there for the Snitch.” Wood winked. “Nice play, Potter. Nice play.”

James spotted four familiar figures coming toward him and grinned. He ran a hand through his hair and hoped Evans could find something nice to say to him now.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70788