Heartbroken by Cheshlin
Summary: Circe lived an enchanted life on the isle of Aeaea. Here is the story of how she began transfiguring sailors into animals.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1621 Read: 1695 Published: 08/05/07 Updated: 08/10/07

1. Heartbroken by Cheshlin

Heartbroken by Cheshlin
Author's Notes:
This was writen for my HIstory of Magic class. Circe was a very interesting character, and here I explore why she became the dark witch she became.

I would also like to thank Sour.Apple/Feathertrader for Betaing this for me!
The sky was blue and clear over the secluded island. A small village sat back from the shore, and a stone palace blended into a meadow of the forest. That was all the signs of domestication to be found on the island of Aeaea.

Circe loved the quiet at times. It really came in handy for her studies. At seventeen years old, Circe had fiery hair that was most often pulled back with a ribbon while she searched the forest on the island for herbs and other potion ingredients.

Word had gone around the local islands, and even had reached the mainland, that a talented Healer resided on Aeaea. What most of the people didn’t realize was that this Healer was also a witch. She had been taught by the most educated wizards and witches her father, Helius, could find, and had exceeded his expectations in her talent. Circe was a natural at Transfiguring things and brewing potions. Charm work came harder to her, but plants and fungi flourished under her administrations.

Helius was proud of his daughter’s accomplishments but sorrowful at her faults. An enemy of his had cursed his daughter, making it so she could never leave her island or her life was forfeit. The curse also led to the palace being a place of terror for Circe at night, but she had to spend at least an hour there every night.

Circe never minded staying on the island but hated the palace. She had no desire to go elsewhere but wished the curse on her home would be broken.

The forest housed her friends. A small tribe of elves that lived there fell over themselves to help her with anything she needed. Language had been a barrier, but Circe quickly found they were fast learners and taught them how to speak to humans. The elves gathered the plants and herbs Circe was unable to get herself, because they needed to be picked by night for the best results. They also helped her gather the wool that allowed her to indulge in her passion for weaving and spinning.

The residents of the village, who were all magical, were horrified at her audacity to teach other creatures human ways. They quit laughing when they realized Circe no longer had to clean the stone palace herself, or have other humans help. The elves learned from her how to cook and clean. A few of the villagers tried to force Circe to stop but found out the hard way that the elves had magic of their own when they stepped up to protect her. From that time on, there were always a few elves around the palace to help with whatever Circe needed help with, even if it was to just help her through the night horrors.

Circe studied in the village. New teachers were often moving in and out of it with their families. Few stayed more than a few years due to the isolation they felt while they resided there. A new family arrived the summer she turned seventeen that would lead to an abandonment of the village and much loneliness for Circe.

Circe was gathering herbs and humming under her breath in the forest the first time she saw Picus. He was laughing with several other young men and seemed to be planning something. Circe’s breath caught in her throat. She had never seen a man with straw colored hair or bright blue eyes. Instantly she was in love.

The young man looked up and saw her staring at him. He smiled but then turned and led the others back towards the village. Laughter followed in their wake.



The next time Circe was in the village, it was to meet her newest Potions teacher. She wasn’t surprised to find it was the young man’s father, Cronos. This meant that she had her lesson’s side by side with Picus. Picus and Circe were both highly talented in brewing potions and surpassed the other young people on the island. Cronos decided to give the two of them extra lessons. Circe worked hard to impress Picus but found he spent the extra time playing all sorts of pranks on her. Most of the time, this had her laughing along with him. She wanted to tell him the way she felt for him but found herself too shy.

The more time she spent with him, the more she found herself loving him. He was popular with everyone in the village. Charms came easily to his lips, and he used them to play tricks on almost everyone he passed. His favourite was to make things disappear and reappear in the most unlikely places.

As the winter solstice approached, Circe found herself hoping Picus would invite her to the village festival. A few days before the festival, a girl a few years younger then Circe arrived. Circe knew something was amiss with her plans the moment she saw Picus greet her.

“Canens! I’m surprised to see you here. I can’t believe you’ve come all this way to see me!” Picus exclaimed.

“Picus!” Canens said when she heard him and ran into his waiting arms. “I just couldn’t wait until next summer to see you again. I needed to make sure you hadn’t changed your mind about our wedding!”

When Circe heard those words, her vision went red from rage. How dare he have a fiancé! He never mentioned her, and this was a cruel way for her to find out. Circe turned and stumbled into the trees, with no one taking notice. That evening, the palace replayed that scene to her over and over, all night long. Circe had no rest.

The next day, Circe knew what she had to do. She found the scroll she wanted in Cronos’ library at her lesson that day. Her father had trained her well, and no one realized that there was something bothering her.

That evening, she gathered her household elves and had them gather the ingredients she would need and started brewing. Her potion would be done just in time for the festival.



The day of the festival arrived, and Circe had the elves help her braid and fashion her hair in an exotic way. A purple cloak covered her simple white gown and a golden veil covered her face. As she walked into the village, a spell seemed to pull every eye to her. As she offered a cup to Picus, he accepted with no thought as if under a spell. After drinking, he gasped.

“Circe, you are the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen,” Picus said.

A gasp came from behind him. Circe looked up and saw Canens there. Smiling, Circe pulled Picus off into the woods, while Canens ran in the opposite direction.

Picus couldn’t keep his hands off her, and she was relishing every moment. Her elves had set up a picnic and blanket in a clearing near the palace. Circe led Picus there in silence. When he saw the blanket, he pulled her towards it. Excitement filled Circe as he lifted the golden veil. She couldn’t believe her luck as his lips met hers. The next few hours were everything she could have wished them to be, and after leading him to her room in the palace she fell asleep in his arms with a smile on her face.



“What is this enchantment?” screamed Picus pushing her away from him. “What was in that goblet you gave me? What happened last night? How dare you charm and poison me!”

Circe woke in pain and with a start. She stared up at Picus in disbelief. Why didn’t he still love her?

“I would never poison you! I love you!” Circe cried in confusion.

“Love? Love is not something you can force on someone. I love Canens, and she is the girl I will marry. I will be leaving this God forsaken island as soon as I can gather my belongings, and you shall never see me again. You don’t deserve to be loved!” Picus threw his clothing back on and headed towards the door

Circe took a moment to react. As Picus walked out the door, she saw red. How dare he! This was the first evening ever that terrors hadn’t visited her dreams, but this was worse than any dream terror. She grabbed her wand and raced after him. For the first time ever, she was able to petrify him where he was. Then she used her skills in Transfiguration. If she couldn’t have him no one would. After just a moment, a woodpecker lay in a cage that sat by her bed.


The next day, several of Picus’ friends came looking for him. Rage filled Circe again, and pigs soon stood where his friends once stood. It didn’t take long for the villagers to realize Circe had gone a bit mad. Any man that came within the power of her wand, found themselves transformed into some animal, and the others wondered how they disappeared. Everyone left her to her madness. Circe was happy with her elves and animals. No one realizing the animals had once been men.

Over time, sailors would stop from time to time. They were always looking for food and supplies on the island. Circe found it was fun to offer them food laced with sleeping draughts. Then when they were asleep, she would transform them into various animals. Wolves, lions, pigs, etcetera filled the forest around her house. An empty place stood where her heart was, until a man named Odysseus managed to fill it back up.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70903