Storm Struck by Sly Severus
Summary: A long time ago Bellatrix taught her little sisters an important lesson about fear.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1474 Read: 1711 Published: 08/06/07 Updated: 08/06/07

1. Chapter 1 by Sly Severus

Chapter 1 by Sly Severus
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




The loud bang caused young Bellatrix Black to jump up in her bed. Seconds later her room was filled with an unnatural light. Still being half asleep, it took the ten-year-old girl a few minutes to realize what was going on—a thunder storm. Once the realization sunk in, she jumped out of bed and ran for her window. She loved to watch storms.

Staring out her large window, her eyes grew big as the yard lit up again. She watched the streaks of light in the sky as though she was memorized. There was another clap of thunder and she laughed, enjoying the sounds.

Young Bellatrix was well aware of the power that these storms had. She knew the amount of damage they could wreck over foolish Muggles, too useless to protect their own property. That was why she was so drawn to them. She loved their power; one day she hoped to possess that kind of power.

She smiled as another chain of light streaked through the sky. Shivers went through her body as she thought of the sheer power in that one little flash. Her mind was going a mile a minute as she watched the show. However, she was soon interrupted by a light tapping on her door.

“Yes,” she called rather impatiently, expecting one of the house-elves. The elves always checked on her when her parents weren’t home. It was strange because her parents never did when they were home.

The door squeaked opened and instead of being greeted by dopey eyes and over-sized ears, Bella saw the wide eyed face of her dark haired little sister. It was so late. It hadn’t occurred to her that the storm would wake either of her sisters.

Before Bella could speak to Andromeda, the door flew opened further and she was attacked and thrown backwards on her bed. It took Bella a few seconds to realize that the form in her arms meant no harm. In fact, it was seeking comfort. She stared down at her six-year-old sister and pulled her into a hug. Narcissa continued to sob into Bella’s chest.

Looking back at Andromeda’s terrified eyes; she realized that they were both afraid of the storm. She had heard of children being frightened by thunder and lightening, but she didn’t understand it. What was so scary about loud noises and flashes of light?

“It’s all right, Cissy,” she whispered to her youngest sister, as Andromeda climbed onto the bed beside them. “There’s nothing to be afraid of. It’s just a storm. It can’t hurt you. It can only hurt the foolish Muggles who don’t know how to protect themselves.”

Narcissa continued to shake in her arms, her words having no impact. Sighing, Bella had no idea how to comfort her sister. She was only ten years old herself. It wasn’t fair that she was always thrown into the mother role with her sisters. But that was the way it was. Their parents would never take care of them. They never took care of her. When she was Cissy’s age, she cried alone.

“There’s really nothing to be afraid of,” she tried again, looking at Andromeda, and rubbing Narcissa’s back. “It’s really pretty, actually. I love to watch it. I like to think what it would be like if I could make it happen. Maybe when I go to Hogwarts I will learn how.”

“Bella, that’s scary,” Andromeda told her, with wide eyes. “Why would you want to cause something like that?”

“The storm isn’t scary, Andy,” she insisted, still holding Narcissa. “It’s beautiful and it’s powerful. That’s what I want to be when I grow up—beautiful and powerful.”

“And scary?” Andromeda persisted.

“I think you have to be a little scary to be powerful,” Bella told her. “Aren’t Mum and Dad scary? And they’re the most powerful people we know.”

Before Andromeda could reply there was another clap of thunder and Narcissa’s sobs became louder. Abandoning her argument with Andromeda, Bella returned her attention to her other sister.

“Cissy,” she cooed, “there’s nothing to be upset about. The storm is not going to hurt you. Come on, we’re going to watch it. It’s pretty.”

Andromeda shook her had vigorously, and Bella could feel Narcissa tense in her arms. However, she was not going to be swayed. This was the only way she knew to overcome fears. Fears had to be faced head on. It was the only way to tame them, and she didn’t want her sisters living in fear.

Bella still remembered the first time she was afraid of something. She had been five and playing in the backyard. As a child, she often played in the yard alone, occasionally the house-elves would check on her. But that day the house-elves were no where to be found and she stumbled upon a small, black, garden snake near the fountain.

She had no idea what it was, but she took an immediate dislike to it. The way it slithered seemed so unsettling, and then it made a hissing sound at her. She could take no more and fled to the house.

For days, she had refused to play outside, which had been very hard on her because outside had been her only refuge from rules and commands. However, she just couldn’t bring herself to face the creature again.

Finally, she asked one of the elves what it was. They called it a garden snake and told her that it was perfectly harmless. She doubted the elf’s words, but decided that she no longer wanted to be restricted to the house so she wandered outside.

She went directly to the fountain and found that there was nothing there. The creature was gone. Relief had coursed through her body and she was sure that the ordeal was over. However, just as she settled down to play, it slithered out from beneath a rock.

Her first reaction was to cry out, but naturally that didn’t help. No one came to see what was wrong with her. Staring at the creature, she considered retreating to the house, but she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to be afraid.

For a few minutes, she just watched it. It didn’t seem as though it could do that much. Finally, she rose to her feet and picked a rock up from the ground. Walking over to the creature, she began to pound it with the rock. She watched as it withered and flailed and finally stopped moving.

A smile touched her lips, as she stared down at the unmoving body. Her first fear had been conquered and it felt good.

Now it was time for her to help her sisters face their fears. She couldn’t let them hide from the storm. They would never learn that way.

“Come on,” she said, setting Narcissa on the floor and taking her hand. “We’re just going over to the window. Nothing is going to hurt you.”

Narcissa tried to pull out of her grasp, but Bella would not let go. She knew she was doing the right thing. Taking Andromeda’s hand as well, she led them both to the window.

“Now watch the sky,” Bella instructed them as a chain of light slashed through the darkness. “Isn’t it beautiful?”

Neither of her sisters replied to the question. Narcissa grasped her hand tighter and Andromeda stared with wide eyes. However, as the storm progressed Narcissa’s grip loosened and Andromeda’s expression changed to one of wonderment.

“It really is pretty,” Andromeda said, at last.

Narcissa nodded, moving closer to the window.

“See, it’s not scary at all,” Bella told them. “Things are only scary to people who won’t face them. I don’t want you two to be afraid. You have to face things to prove to yourself that they can’t hurt you.”

Andromeda nodded, understanding her sister’s words. However, Narcissa didn’t seem to fully grasp their meaning. She was still watching the backyard light up with excitement in her eyes. It didn’t matter if she understood. Bella knew the next time she was scared she would remember this night and face her fears.

The three sisters sat on the floor in front of the window. They sat through the remainder of the storm with wide eyes. Bella loved watching storms, but she realized that she loved them more when her sisters were there to watch them with her.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70926