Harry's Secret by Future_Weasley
Summary: This story is in response to the Fortnight Fwooper Challenge. Harry has a secret that no one knows, which is a good thing, because it is really embarassing. Unfortunately during a stormy night in his sixth year, his secret is revealed to the entire school. How will the school react to Harry's secret? Will Harry be able to cope with his secret not being a secret anymore? Will the first year who was sitting next to the (conveniently open) window ever get over her cold?! Read to find out!
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2461 Read: 1505 Published: 12/20/04 Updated: 12/20/04

1. Andy Cloyd Wever by Future_Weasley

Andy Cloyd Wever by Future_Weasley
A/N: Poor J.K. If she only knew what we would do with the characters she thought up that day on that blessed train ride (notice I say her characters), would she have so generously shared them with us? My gratitude and apologies go to her, and I hope this story does not cause her to lose sleep at night.

Harry’s sixth year at Hogwarts had been full of turbulent weather and frequent electrical storms. But it was on a sunny day that he, Ron and Hermione made their way towards Hogsmeade on the now very rare occasion that students were permitted to leave the castle.
“Honeyduke’s first then?” asked Harry.
“’Course,” Ron beamed. “I’m famished.”
“Ron, honestly! You ate breakfast less than an hour ago!” Hermione argued, but they had already started in that direction.
Along the way, they spoke lightheartedly about McGonagall’s transfiguration assignment (“I’m glad I didn’t get an O.W.L. in transfiguration” Ron contributed) and Snape’s potions essay (“I’m bloody glad I didn’t get an O.W.L. in potions” he added).
“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Their discussion was interrupted by a sudden outburst from Ron. They had reached Honeyduke’s, and rather than seeing dozens of exotic and magical sweets in the windows, they saw nothing but colorful signs pasted all the way up to the roof:


'Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Bean Presents. . .

Andy Cloyd Wever’s

“Katz: The Reprisal” !

Witness the magic of this stunning musical as it hits the stage for the first time in 20 years!

One lucky witch or wizard will be chosen to introduce Mr. Andy Cloyd Wever at the London premiere. Entrants should send a brief letter describing their love for Mr. Wever’s work to the attention of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Bean Judging Committee'


Harry’s heart leapt. Being able to introduce Andy Cloyd Wever and attend “Katz” live would be an experience he would never forget. “Wever’s a wizard?” Harry asked, trying to sound non-chalant.
“Yes, Harry,” began Hermione, “ and he’s even more of a joke in the wizarding world than in the muggle world.” Harry was confused”Wever a joke?
“Mum doesn’t even like him” said Ron. “Only really old witches like his musicals . . . Let’s get inside before people think we’re considering entering.”
Harry let the other two lead the way as he stayed behind just long enough to stuff a copy of the poster into his robes without anyone noticing.

The rest of the day was spent discussing Wever’s most ridiculous musicals. Hermione’s choice had been the one about the ghost that haunted the ballet, and Ron even went into his own over-dramatized, satirical rendition of the title song. Hermione was in a fit of giggles when she noticed that Harry wasn’t laughing.
“Which one do you think is funny, Harry?” She asked him.
“Er.. I don’t really know any, actually.” He averted her eyes. Hermione knew something was up, but couldn’t tell what it was and was too afraid to ask. Ron, on the other hand, was completely oblivious, and saw this break in talking as his opportunity to continue his Wever-mocking.
“Remmeeeeemmmbries! All aloooonnneeee in the daaarrkkknnesss” he sang. Hermione laughed all the way back to Hogwarts.

o0O0o

To Harry’s surprise, the Andy Cloyd Wever competition had really stuck into people’s minds, and two weeks later, students were still mimicking the cheesy choruses of his most “popular” songs in the corridors between classes. Neville had openly refused to participate as his Gran was a very generous patron to Wever’s work and frequently had him over for dinner. Neville’s new-found bravery had even led him to yell “he’s a nice bloke” to anyone who happened to sing in front of him, and because of this Ron was quite afraid to be seen with Neville. But it was on a stormy night that Hermione insisted they eat with him in the Great Hall as she had promised to help him with his Charms essay, and did not want to sit with him alone since she had a nagging suspicion he fancied her.
She was correcting his spelling errors when a particularly loud bang of thunder spooked her and caused her to break his quill.
“I’m sorry, Neville. I’ll get you another one next Hogsmeade weekend.”
“Don’t worry about it. My uncle never knows what to get me for Holidays, so he buys me nothing but quills.” Neville reached into his bag and pulled out half a dozen quills. “Take your pick.”
“Wow! That’s a really handsome fwooper quill”may I used that one?” Neville let her pull the quill she requested from his hand.
“ ‘Owunoitsfromuhfwooper” Ron asked through a full mouth.
“I don’t know of many birds with pink feathers, do you Ronald?” Hermione did not look up from Neville’s paper.
“Flamingos have pink feathers!” Ron was being defensive for no reason.
“Yes, but you can’t exactly make quills from them.”
“Why not?! They’ve got feathers!”
“It’s illegal, Ronald!”
“Is not!”
“Yes, Ron. They’re non-magical creatures. How would it look if they suddenly turned up with patches of feathers missing? The muggles would think they were ill!”
Ron looked like he was about to continue the argument, but a brilliant clash of lightning scared him into silence just as a tawny owl flew through a (conveniently open) window. The owl sped to the staff table, dropped a letter on Professor McGonagall’s plate, and was off into the storm again. Professor McGonagall opened the letter and a huge grin spread across her face. She rose from her seat and tapped her glass with her fork.
“If you all would cease your chattering for a moment, I believe congratulations are in order to one of your classmates. Mr. Harry Potter has won”“ To Harry’s great relief the rest of what she said was muted by a very loud and very long rumble of thunder. Unfortunately Hermione must have been able to read lips because she leaned very close to Harry and whispered “Oh, Harry”no. Don’t tell me you entered the Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Bean Competition.” Professor McGonagall finished with “Congratulations, Potter” and sat down.
The hall was quiet for a few seconds before students started to ask each other if they had heard what she had said, what Harry had won.
“What did you win, Harry?” Ron asked loudly. Both Harry and Hermione shot him glares. “What? I just want to know what I should congratulate him for!”

The Great Hall slowly emptied, leaving Harry, Hermione and Ron at the Gryffindor table.
“You don’t think anyone knows?” Harry asked Hermione after the last of the stragglers had left.
“Knows what?” Said Ron.
“Not yet. But I’m sure they’ll figure it out before too long”they’re not stupid.” Answered Hermione.
“Knows what?” Ron repeated.
“What should I do?” Harry looked worried.
“About what?” said Ron.
“I don’t think there’s anything you can do, Harry.” Hermione had difficulty breaking this disappointing news to Harry. “You’ll just have to take the humiliation until they forget about it.”
“What humiliation?” Ron was getting flustered.
“I was afraid of that,” was all Harry could say.
“Afraid of what?!”
“He’s introducing Wever at the ‘Katz’ premiere, Ronald!”
“Blimey, Harry! You entered that competition?!” He looked horrified. “Please tell me you did it as a joke”or someone else entered your name”or McGonagall made you do it for extra credit.”
“Sorry, mate.” The three returned to Gryffindor tower in silence, avoiding all high-traffic areas to prevent curious by-standers from asking Harry for details about what he’d won. Ron could barely look at Harry, and made very sure to keep Hermione between them at all times. It wasn’t until they’d reached their room that Ron told Harry he didn’t think any less of him and he was sure that once the shock of his best-friend being Wever’s number one fan wore off, he would be able to be in a room alone with Harry again. As you can imagine, this made Harry feel MUCH better :-[

o0O0o

It was very early the next morning when Harry woke up from his disturbed sleep. He was restless and needed to talk to someone. Obviously not Ron”that wouldn’t help. Perhaps Hermione? No. The girls’ dorm was off-limits and he didn’t want to bring any more attention to himself. Neville? Ha! Wouldn’t that be perfect if Ron awoke to the whispers of Harry and Neville discussing Andy Cloyd Wever. He had to get out of there.
He found himself at the door to the transfiguration department, and to his relief Professor McGonagall was sitting at her desk writing.
“Professor?” Harry began.
“Ah”Mr. Potter! You’re up early this morning. Excited about the premiere?”
“About that Professor”I’m not sure I can go through with it.” McGonagall looked a combination of shocked and hurt. “It’s just that, once everyone realizes what I’ve won, it might, er, make my life difficult for a while . . . or longer.”
“Well, I can’t imagine how you of all people could care what anyone thinks of you. I thought you’d be thrilled you’d won!”
“Well, I might have been if you hadn’t decided to announce it to the entire school.” There was a hint of anger in Harry’s voice.
“Sit down, Potter.” He didn’t sit. “ Sit down!” She urged and after a moment he sat. “As interim-president of the Andy Cloyd Wever fan club, it is my privilege to announce the winner of the Bertie Bott’s competition. As you can imagine, I was overjoyed when I learned that one of my very own students, a student who I knew would represent Hogwarts well, was picked among several hundred applicants.” She paused and thought for a moment, carefully forming the next bit in her head before speaking. “Curiosity got the better of me, and I admit that I requested to see your letter. It arrived not more than an hour before you this morning.” Her eyes began to glisten and she looked down quickly. Harry couldn’t take this.
“Professor, I don’t even know why I entered this competition in the first place. It was really”“
“Perhaps I should remind you!” She cut him off and rummaged through the parchments on her desk. She retrieved one that Harry recognized as his own and cleared her throat.
“Dear Judging Committee,
My name is Harry Potter and I just recently found out that Andy Cloyd Wever is a wizard. This came as quite a surprise to me, because I have found comfort in his music long before I even knew that I was a wizard. My aunt and uncle raised me as a Muggle without any knowledge of who my parents really were or their world. Just before my seventh birthday, they sent me to our neighbor’s so that my cousin could enjoy his birthday without me. This visit was like no other. Mrs. Figg played Wever’s ‘Katz’ and during the second song, I began to laugh. I couldn’t help it”for some reason it made me happy, and I danced around her living room with her. Just before the song ended, she said something I will never forget. She said “I should have known”this was always your mother’s favorite.” I tried to have her explain what she meant, but once she had realized what she had said, she turned off the music and left the room telling me I should take a nap. I did fall asleep and didn’t wake up until it was time to return to my aunt and uncle’s. But before leaving the house, she tucked a walkman and the Wever tape into my knapsack, telling me that my aunt and uncle must not find out about this. From that moment on, I listened to Wever in secret, whenever life became unbearable. Once I found out about my inheritance, I converted just enough to muggle money in order to buy the rest of Wever’s musicals. I’ve loved them all and it would mean so much to be able to share my appreciation for him with a group of people who have also been affected by him.

Sincerely,
Harry J. Potter”

Professor McGonagall was no longer holding back her tears as she finished Harry’s letter. “You see why you must go to that premiere, Potter? Your mother would have wanted it.” Harry knew she was right, and it was with great difficulty that he held back the tears and nodded.

o0O0o

Despite Hermione’s claims that no one knew that Harry would be introducing Wever at the premiere, he knew better. For one, he could swear that people would hum one of Wever’s songs whenever he passed. Someone had bewitched Neville’s toad to sing both the male and the female parts of “The Ghost of the Ballet” (Ron was certain that Neville had bewitched Trevor himself, but Hermione maintained that Neville was not nearly clever enough to perform such a charm). Malfoy even managed to change the Gryffindor banner from “Gryffindor” to “Gryffindork.” He was attempting to make the lion sing the chorus from a well-known Wever song when Professor McGonagall walked in. To the school’s delight, she told Malfoy that if he liked the song so much, he could sing it for the entire school at dinner. The meal featuring Malfoy’s performance was without a doubt the most entertaining Hogwarts had ever seen, and students seemed to forget about Harry’s love of Wever and instead focused their mockery on Malfoy.
The school year finally ended and Harry, Hermione, Ron and Neville sat in a compartment together on the train. Trevor would occasionally burst into song, at which Hermione would say “I though Professor Flitwick was going to counter the charm.” Neville replied that Flitwick was unable to keep Trevor from singing, but when prodded by Hermione to let her try, he refused and eventually left the compartment. He was eventually replaced by a small first year who had had a cold for an unreasonably long time. The first year sniffed the entire way to King’s Cross. She had probably been sitting next to the (conveniently open) window the night Professor McGonagall had revealed the winner of the Bertie Bott’s Competition.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=7094