Aetas nam mutatio by H Cooper
Summary: Bearing in mind the events of book 6, this story now no longer fits into the overall plot of Harry Potter. However, I shall continue to write it regardless, keeping it as a separate story. Therefore, please remember that it will not be influenced by book 6. It's the beginning of Harry, Ron and Hermione's seventh year at Hogwarts and change is in the air. Unfortunately, Ron seems to be the only one who doesn't sense it.
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 29938 Read: 62805 Published: 12/20/04 Updated: 01/03/06

1. Mistakes by H Cooper

2. Caught in the Middle by H Cooper

3. Here we go again... by H Cooper

4. Crime and punishment by H Cooper

5. Whispered conversations and tears by H Cooper

6. Blown out of proportion by H Cooper

7. September the 19th by H Cooper

8. Autumn arrives by H Cooper

9. Lies and excuses by H Cooper

10. The truth will out by H Cooper

11. Taking it badly by H Cooper

12. The aftermath by H Cooper

13. A lot can happen in a day by H Cooper

14. Confrontation by H Cooper

15. The party to end all parties by H Cooper

16. Revelations by H Cooper

17. Fin by H Cooper

Mistakes by H Cooper
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from the Harry Potter books, they belong solely to J.K.Rowling. Unfortunately.

*****

Ron Weasley was leaning against his luggage trolley on platform 9 and ¾ chatting to Dean Thomas when he heard someone calling his name.
“Ron! Guess who I found?”
He turned around to see Harry walking up to him, closely followed by Hermione.
“Hi Herm“” Ron did not manage to finish his sentence, as Hermione embraced him tightly and lightly kissed him on the cheek. As she moved away to talk to Dean, Ron spotted Harry grinning inanely. He turned a deeper shade of beetroot and muttered,
“Oh…shut up…”
It was their last year at Hogwarts and Ron had already endured a summer of Harry teasing him about his feelings for Hermione. Of course he denied it, vehemently in fact, but his friend was not easily fooled. No matter how many times Harry tried to coax a confession out of him, Ron remained abstinently silent. Harry would be certain to tell Hermione, and then everything would be awkward between them. No, better a year of “what ifs” than a year without her.

*****

Hermione rejoined them as they struggled to push through the mass of students towards the Hogwarts express.
“Do you remember ever being that small?” Harry said, with a nod towards the first years scrambling for the doors of the carriage.
“I know, it’s strange isn’t it? To think we’ve been here that long…” Hermione looked lost in thought and very nearly knocked out a second year with her trunk. Ron threw out an arm to stop the boy falling over, and glanced at Hermione.
“Hermione, watch where you’re going! You’ll kill all the little ones with one blow!” He shook his head in disbelief. “What have you got in that thing anyway? Anyone would think you’re carrying a dead body.”
“Hmm?” Hermione suddenly realised Ron was talking to her. “Oh no, it’s just books really…”
Harry’s mouth dropped open.
“That entire thing is full of books? Have I missed something? If anything I have less books than last year!”
“Well they’re not all from the book list, obviously. I just brought a few more with me for some extra reading.”
Ron rolled his eyes. Hermione saw and bristled instantly.
“It may have escaped your notice, Ronald Weasley, but we do actually have some very important exams this year which I do not intend to fail. Just because you can’t be bothered to put some effort into them doesn’t mean I won’t!” And with that she stormed off onto the train.
“Hermione! Hermione, come on! You know I didn’t mean anything by it!” He looked at Harry in exasperation. “What’s with her today?”
Harry just chuckled and boarded the train after her.

*****

Ron dragged his things into the compartment and stowed them away. He turned to Hermione, intending to apologise (though not entirely sure what for),
“Hermione…”
She folded her arms and stared resolutely out of the window.
“Fine!” Ron threw himself down onto the seat furthest away from her. “It’s not like I did anything wrong anyway!”
Hermione glared at him and opened her mouth as if to retort, but then seemed to think better of it and returned to staring out of the window, uttering the occasional grunt of contempt.
For the next half an hour the journey passed in near silence. Harry kept trying to start up a conversation but before long he gave up, tiring of their monosyllabic responses. To his relief, Ginny appeared at the door to the compartment.
“Hi Harry! How’s it going?” She asked cheerfully.
“Oh it’s been going swimmingly so far.” He replied; his voice laced with sarcasm. Ginny dropped onto the seat next to him and sighed.
“Ron, Hermione, it’s your turn to patrol the halls. Mind out though, there are a group of fourth years down one end setting off some of Fred and George’s fireworks at every possible opportunity.”
Harry watched as his two friends got up and, still refusing to talk to one another, left the carriage.
“What’s going on with those two?” asked Ginny as soon as they were out of hearing range.
“Don’t ask me,” Harry said, pausing for a minute before muttering “they’re useless, the both of them.”
Ginny giggled and they relaxed into conversation.

*****

Ron walked alongside Hermione, playing with his prefect badge and stubbornly refusing to look at her. Every so often they stopped by a compartment full of over-excited first years and told them to keep the noise down.
After ten minutes of silence, Hermione snapped “You’re being so childish, Ron.”
Ron turned to stare at her, a look of incredulity on his face.
“I’m being childish? Who’s the one having a hissy fit over nothing?”
“A…I’m sorry did you just say a hissy fit? This is not a hissy fit! I just don’t see why you have to be needlessly rude within five minutes of seeing me again for the FIRST TIME IN AGES!”
Their shouts brought the attention of a tall, blonde boy sitting in a compartment a few feet away.
“Well well. If it isn’t Granger and Weasley. Having another lover’s tiff are we?”
Draco Malfoy was leaning against the doorframe, with Crabbe and Goyle lurking behind him.
“Shut up Malfoy.” Hissed Ron, standing straighter and squaring his shoulders.
Draco ignored him, staring instead at Hermione.
“Still,” he drawled, “I wouldn’t blame you Weasley. The sooner you get rid of that filthy little mudblood the better.”
Ron looked furious.
“Don’t you dare call her that!” He trembled with anger.
Draco Malfoy laughed and casually pulled out his wand.
“And what,” he sneered, “are you going to do to me if I do?”
Ron drew his own wand and pushed Hermione behind him, ignoring her protests. He held up his wand, at the same time slowly backing into an empty compartment.
“I’m warning you Malfoy.” He said menacingly.
“Oh, I’m bored of this now.” With a flick of his wand Draco uttered the words “Laedo armarium”.
Ron was thrown backwards, hitting the window of the train with a sickening thud. Through half-closed eyes he saw Malfoy walk off, laughing complacently. Ron gave a groan and clutched at his chest, which felt like he’d had a sledge hammer driven into it.
“Ron! Ron, are you okay?” Hermione rushed over and knelt beside him, staring anxiously into his face.
He tried to reply but found it was increasingly difficult to breathe, let alone speak. Instead he leant back against the wall, closing his eyes. He felt a light pressure on his hand, which still rested on his chest. Ron looked down to see Hermione’s hand resting on his. Gently he entwined his fingers with hers and looked up into her face.
“Ron…” she said quietly.
Suddenly he came to his senses and let go of her hand. He struggled to get up, mentally cursing himself for his stupidity. What had he been thinking? Of course she hadn’t meant that…and now he had scared her off. He felt his face turn red as he staggered out into the hallway, still limping from his collision with the wall.
Hermione sat back on her heels and sighed, then got to her feet and followed Ron out of the compartment.

*****
Caught in the Middle by H Cooper
Disclaimer: Sadly, I can claim none of the Harry Potter characters as my own. Isn't life tragic?

*****

Harry and Ginny were sitting in the train compartment playing a game of exploding snap when the door slid open. Without looking up, Ginny spoke.

“Are you two back already? You’ve still got at least ten minutes of prefect duty to do.”

Harry, however, leapt up as he saw Ron stagger over and collapse into his seat.

“Ron! What happened? Are you okay?” Harry rushed to his friend’s side, checking for any signs of bleeding.

“That git Malfoy hit me with a curse, that’s what happened!” he groaned, shifting in his seat.

“Don’t be melodramatic, Ron.” Hermione said absent-mindedly as she sat down across from him. “It wasn’t a curse. It was a simple laedo armarium spell, nothing really. The equivalent of a punch I suppose.”

Ron stared at her.

“‘Nothing really’? You wouldn’t say that if you were on the receiving end of it!” He fumed. “Besides, if it was ‘nothing really’ then why were you so worried when I went flying across the bloody room?”

Hermione blushed and avoided meeting Ron’s eye. There followed an uncomfortable silence which was finally broken by Ginny.

“Well I guess I’d better go finish your patrol for you then. I don’t think you’re going to be up to it.”

Harry, remembering the horribly sullen first part of their journey, grabbed her arm to stop her leaving.

“No, don’t go Ginny. Look, Colin can finish Ron and Hermione’s prefect duty for them.”

Colin Creevey, who had only just arrived at the door to the compartment, looked taken-aback by this suggestion.

“Um…well…I mean…”

“Thanks Colin!” Harry gushed. “Knew I could count on you!” and with that he shoved him out into the hallway and slid the door shut.

“Harry…” whispered Ginny, “that was really mean!” She giggled conspiratorially and declared “Right! Well, I won that round. Want to try again?”

The rest of the journey went by easily for Harry, who spent the time holding a full-blown tournament of Exploding Snap with Ginny, refusing to admit defeat. He did not notice the sly glances Ron was shooting Hermione across the compartment. Every so often, Hermione would look back in his direction and he would immediately turn away, choosing instead to gaze out of the window until he could be sure she was no longer watching him. Then he would return to staring at her once more. Soon he was no longer aware of any pain in his chest, and was concentrating instead on how Hermione bit her bottom lip when she was thinking, and the way she fidgeted with the hem of her skirt when she was bored.

When the train arrived at Hogwarts, Ron was jolted out of his reverie, feeling extremely foolish.

*****

“Seriously Seamus, you should have seen it! O’Reagan came swooping in from the right and - I don’t know how he did it - just took the quaffle right out of their chaser’s hands! He’s the best player they’ve had in years. I can’t believe you weren’t there…”

Ron was back to his usual self by the time the seventh years were settled in the great hall, and had soon started up a Quidditch-related conversation with Seamus.

“I know Ron, I know. You keep telling me. But I was on holiday remember? Not much chance of watching the match from Thailand, is there?”

Ron chose to ignore Seamus’ excuses and continued to describe the match in full detail. Harry, meanwhile, was talking to Hermione.

“I don’t understand why you’re so upset about it. It’s just Ron for God’s sake! You know he does this all the time.”

“Yes, I do know that Harry. Which is precisely why it irritates me. Honestly, all I have to do is make one tiny mistake and he’s on my back straight away! I’m just fed up with it, that’s all.”

Harry shook his head in confusion.

“Yeah, but that’s what he does. He over-reacts, you argue, then he forgets all about it and you forgive him. What’s changed?”

“Nothing’s changed! Why do you assume that? Could it not be possible that I’m just tired of being the one to forgive him? Can’t he just apologise for being rude for once?”

At this point Harry had to make rapid hushing noises in her direction, as Ron had looked over to see why Hermione was yelling.

“What’s going on over there? You’re not talking about bloody S.P.E.W. again are you?” Ron shouted, food flying in all directions.

“Oi, Ron, mate, could you swallow before aiming your mouth in my general direction?” asked a disgusted Dean Thomas. “Ah gross…I’m covered in chicken…”

As Ron looked away to talk to Dean, Harry turned back to Hermione.

“The thing is, Hermione, he didn’t exactly do anything wrong “ no, wait a minute,” he continued as she tried to protest, “he’d just been thrown against a wall by the ferret and you probably dented his pride. It’s no wonder he got a bit testy.”

Hermione simply glowered at Harry, then returned to her food and chewed with gusto, refusing to discuss the matter any more.

*****

On their way to the Gryffindor common room, Hermione walked along in silence whilst Ron and Harry discussed what they had done during the summer holidays. As soon as the Fat Lady swung aside, she marched across the common room and up the staircase leading to the girls’ dormitory, throwing a “goodnight” over her shoulder.

“What’s up with her?” asked Ron, staring after her. “Anyone would think she was mad at us!”

Harry shook his head in disbelief.

“You are dense, Ron. Of course she’s mad at us.”

“What? But why? Oh, why does she always do this? She gets angry with me over the tiniest little things! If she wasn’t a girl I think I’d have socked her one by now!”

Harry gave an exasperated sigh.

“I’m going to bed. Do me a favour, would you? Don’t ramble on about how infuriating Hermione is when I’m trying to sleep “ I’ve had just about enough of your problems for one day.” And with that, he too walked up the stairs to the dormitory.

“Our problems? Harry? What the bleeding hell are you talking about? Harry!”

Ron disappeared up the stairs, right on Harry’s heels.

*****
Here we go again... by H Cooper
Disclaimer: Yes, I know, the characters aren't mine. No need to rub my face in it.

*****

Harry took his seat in potions with an audible groan.

“Remind me why I’m still in this stupid class?” he muttered out loud.

“Because you want to become an auror and Professor McGonagall was kind enough to pull some strings for you so you got into the class, even without brilliant grades.”

Harry turned to see Hermione sitting across from him.

“Oh yeah. So you’re talking to me again now, are you?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I never stopped talking to you Harry. Clearly you’re imagining things.”

Harry’s eyes widened.

“Then what was all that steely glaring for yesterday, you know, when we were talking about Ron?”

Hermione tossed her hair over her shoulder and shrugged in an infuriating way.

“Really, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Where is Ronald by the way?”

“Ah…so you’re still mad at him then?” Harry grinned.

“What?”

“You only call him Ronald when you’re angry!”

“Oh for God’s sake Harry. Fine! Where’s Ron then?”

Harry laughed.

“He’s still in the dormitory. He was moaning and groaning like a tortured animal when I woke up, probably ate too much at the feast last night.”

He watched as a battle proceeded to play out on Hermione’s features. In the end, it seemed, concern won over pride.

“How bad is it? Has he been to the hospital wing? He probably just needs rest, doesn’t he?”

Harry held up his hands defensively against her barrage of questions.

“Slow down, Hermione, slow down! I don’t know how bad it is, but I doubt it’s fatal. Yes, I took him to the hospital wing first thing this morning, but Madam Pomfrey did, as you so wisely guessed, suggest that he just get some sleep and let it run its course.”

Hermione sighed.

“Honestly. Trust Ron to eat his way to illness!”

Harry opened his mouth to reply, but at that moment Professor Snape swept into the classroom and threw them a menacing look.

“Potter, Granger, why aren’t you ready for my lesson? I have repeatedly told you to get your things out before I arrive, and to sit in silence before the lesson begins. Five points from Gryffindor.”

Hermione made a small noise of protest.

“Each. Get out your parchment and take notes.”

As the students rifled through their bags, searching for quills and parchment, Harry sank his head down into his hands.

“Here we go again…” he muttered.

*****

When Hermione opened the door to the boys’ dormitory, all she could see of Ron was a large lump beneath the covers. Quietly, she crept across the room and perched on the edge of his bed, looking down and watching him sleep. He was very pale and his hair was damp with sweat. A lock had dropped down across one of his eyes, and without thinking she leaned across and pushed it back. Ron awoke with a jerk.

“Hnnuh, wha? Wha’s going on? Hermione? What are you doing here?” He sat himself up and rubbed his eyes.

“Harry told me you weren’t feeling too good so I came to check up on you.”

“Well that was really nice of you Hermione, but in case you hadn’t noticed I’m not exactly looking my best right now.” He muttered, hastily trying to smooth down his hair and do up the top buttons of his pyjamas.

“Oh honestly Ron, why would I care what you look like?” Ron looked slightly hurt by this, but his smile returned when Hermione continued, “I was worried about you, you moron.”

Suddenly, Ron frowned and looked at the clock on his bedside table.

“Hold on Hermione, shouldn’t you be in Muggle Studies right now?”

Hermione blushed and looked away.

“Well…technically I should, but as I have a lot of experience with muggles I thought I could probably afford to miss one lesson.”

Ron looked incredulous.

“You missed a lesson? I…I can’t believe my ears!” He started to laugh and, soon enough, Hermione joined in. Their laughter died down and, as Ron wiped tears from his eyes, he looked at her.

“Wait a second…you’re mad at me, aren’t you?”

Hermione looked puzzled.

“Harry said something yesterday. Made me think you’d been talking to him about me or something…”

She looked at him, then looked away.

“No Ron, no I’m not. Just forget about that will you?”

He suddenly became engrossed in the freckles on his hands as he said, almost hesitantly, “Hermione? I’m…well…I’m sorry if I did something to upset you…I honestly didn’t mean to…”

He looked up to find Hermione staring at him, wide-eyed. Suddenly, a grin spread across her face and she threw her arms around him in a tight hug.

“Thanks Ron. And I’m sorry too. I’ve been a bit…well a bit petulant recently, and once I get into that kind of mood I can’t stop and…Ron? Ron, what’s wrong?”

She had become aware that Ron was just sitting, looking slightly baffled. Slowly, he shook his head, blushing slightly.

“I’m alright Hermione. You know…this fever and all…”

Hermione laughed and, after a moment, eased herself up from the bed and touched him on the hand gently.

“I think you should get some rest now, otherwise you’ll never get better in time for quidditch practice tomorrow, will you?”

As she closed the door behind her Ron traced his fingers over the place where she had touched his hand. With a deep sigh he settled back against the pillows and, with a look of contentment on his face, fell into a deep sleep.

*****

Harry landed on the pitch a little too forcefully and mud splattered everywhere.

“Eugh, Harry! You’d think you’d be able to control your landings by now!”

Harry grinned as Ron attempted to shake the mud out of his hair.

“Sorry Ron. Or should I say sorry Captain?”

Ron folded his arms.

“I know you find it hilarious that Angelina made me Captain, Harry, but you could at least try to show a little support.”

“Oh come on Ron, you’re being an idiot!” He protested.

“Yeah sure. I know you expected to be made Captain yourself, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of the team were expecting the same thing. But I got it Harry.”

“I know you did. Why are you getting so angry?”

He looked at Harry’s puzzled expression, and decided that he had been joking after all.

“I dunno. Sorry mate, didn’t mean to go off on one.”

Harry smiled.

“Forget about it.”

Ron grinned and, squaring his shoulders, turned to the rest of the team.

“Now I know this our first day of practise, and people are still getting used to having me as Captain,” he glanced subconsciously at Harry, though thankfully he didn’t notice, “but we have a match against Ravenclaw coming up in a few weeks and we need to be ready.”

There were noises of assent, accompanied by a few groans.

“It’s been a while since we’ve played together, and we lost some of our best players this year,” the absence of Angelina, Alicia and Katie was very noticeable, “but we should not be this lousy. I’ll shoulder some of the blame, but I can’t make this team work on my own. So…” he breathed in before voicing what he knew would be an unpopular decision, “I want us to practise an extra two times a week.”

Immediately there was an outcry of complaints as the team turned on Ron.

“Wait a minute would you?”

And, when they continued to hurl abuse at him, “SHUT UP!”

There was instant silence.

“Thank you.” Ron breathed, slightly shocked that his order had been followed. Then, reminding himself that they had to listen to him because he was Captain, he began to explain.

“It’ll only be for the three weeks running up to the match. This is a very important year, both to me and others on the team.”

He looked pointedly at Harry, who looked startled then gave a nod of assent.

“We need to put in a little extra effort if we want it to pay off. So you’ll all be coming, even if you have problems with it.”

There were some disgruntled murmurs but this time no one refused.

“Right then. I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

Everyone began to make their way back to the castle, and Ron slumped down onto a bench, thinking he was alone.

“Nice work there, brother.”

He looked up sharply to discover that Ginny had stayed behind. He gave a weak smile.

“Thanks Gin. It was…weird.”

Ginny laughed and sat down next to him.

“I’m sure you’ll get used to it. You make a pretty good Captain, you know.” She said, playfully punching him on the arm.

“Really? Well, you’ve always made a pretty good chaser.” He replied, a grin spreading across his face.

His cheery demeanour disappeared, however, when he looked over Ginny’s shoulder to see a familiar figure lurking nearby.

“Well, well, well,” Draco Malfoy sneered, “isn’t this just touching? A Weasley moment.”

*****
Crime and punishment by H Cooper
A/N: Time for a new chapter, I think. Hope this one will keep you going for a while, as I'm going on holiday next week so won't get a chance to write. I'm sure you'll all cope without me, but will be back on the case asap.

Disclaimer: I think you all know the drill by now. The characters aren't mine...yada yada. Sheesh.

*****

“I must say, things have changed over the holidays haven’t they?” Malfoy drawled, lazily playing with his wand.

“What’s changed Malfoy? I still hate you, and clearly you’re still the arrogant git you were last year,” Ron replied.

Draco sighed with irritation.

“Honestly Weasley, you automatically assume that I’m talking about you. Huh. You call me arrogant.”

Ron looked confused, then watched as Draco’s gaze slid across to regard Ginny.

“Not such a little girl any more, are you Weasley?” he sneered, slowly eyeing her up and down, coming to rest on her blushing face.

Ron took a step towards him.

“Stay the hell away from my sister,” he growled.

Draco gave a look of mock-surprise.

“You seem to think I have some kind of unseemly interest in ginger street-rats.”

Ron reached for his wand but Ginny put out a hand to stop him.

“Don’t Ron, you know he’s just trying to provoke you.”

He looked at her, reluctant to back down, but finally gave in to her pleading look. With a last glare at Draco he turned away, muttering “Get lost, Malfoy.”

However he could barely move two steps before he heard an acid-tongued voice from behind him.

“You want to keep an eye on that sister of yours, Weasley. Rumour has it she’s becoming quite the school bike.”

Ron froze mid-stride.

“Ron…” Ginny began, but she was unable to finish as he whirled around and, without a second’s hesitation, punched Draco Malfoy squarely in the centre of his nose.

There was a resounding crack, and suddenly blood was everywhere.

“You stubid idiot Weasley, you’b broken by bloody nose! You won’t get away wib this!” and with that he stormed towards the castle, trying to stop the flow of blood with his robes.

“Ron “”

“I know, I know,” he groaned, “that was possibly the stupidest thing I could have done.”

“No Ron. That was fantastic. It was absolutely flipping fantastic!” Ginny laughed, throwing her arms around him. As she drew back she smiled at him. “Thanks for sticking up for me, big brother.”

He grinned.

“Anytime Gin. Especially if it means I get to punch that prat again!”

They walked slowly back up to the castle, laughing and linking arms.

*****

“Mr Weasley!”

Professor McGonagall was standing at the top of the steps leading up to the entrance hall, arms folded. Ron blinked: he could have sworn he saw steam coming out of her ears. Dejectedly he turned to Ginny, who gave him a sympathetic look.

“Let Hermione know what happened, would you? We’re supposed to be doing prefect duty in half an hour and she’ll kill me if I stand her up.”

Ginny nodded, then watched as Ron walked up the steps towards the furious professor.

“Follow me,” she said primly.

Head hung low; he followed her through the winding corridors until they reached a door Ron didn’t recognise. Professor McGonagall rapped smartly upon it and pushed it open.

“In here,” she snapped, and walked into a room that was lit by ornately carved candles, which seemed never to drip. As Ron raised his eyes, he saw several figures seated behind a large oak table. On his far left was Professor Snape, who looked positively thrilled to be there. To Snape’s left sat Professor Dumbledore, whose stern gaze caused Ron’s knees to tremble slightly. Finally, on the far right sat a small, bony woman Ron didn’t recognise. Professor McGonagall pulled up a seat in between Dumbledore and the strange woman, and there was a moment’s silence.

“Ronald Weasley, I am sure that you are aware as to why you are here?”

Dumbledore spoke quietly, and there was a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Ron swallowed and nodded slowly.

“I must say, it is unusual for us to have to deal with a non-magical attack such as this. I certainly wasn’t expecting this sort of behaviour from you.”

Ron could not bring himself to meet Dumbledore’s eyes, so settled instead for watching a spot in his beard, just beneath his chin.

“Mr Malfoy came to see me immediately after the act of thuggery occurred,” came a voice from his left, full of malice.

Ron half expected Professor McGonagall to stand up for him, but instead she merely gazed determinedly on, eyes fixed on a point just above his head.

“Of course Madame Pomfrey was called for, and Draco specifically asked that I inform his mother of the events. She came immediately. No doubt she wanted to see some punishment dealt out to the boy who disfigured her son.”

There was a sniff from the other end of the table, and suddenly it dawned on Ron who the strange woman was.

Narcissa was giving him a glare that could shatter glass, and he quickly averted his gaze.

“Now Severus, I think disfigured is a little harsh, don’t you?” Dumbledore said calmly. “Obviously we all realise, including Mr Weasley I think, that something like this cannot go unpunished, however one mustn’t blow things out of proportion.”

With a glance in Ron’s direction, he added “Perhaps we should first hear what Ronald has to say for himself?”

He felt Dumbledore’s steady gaze rest upon him, and looked up.

“Malfoy insulted my sister sir.”

Professor Snape gave a snort of derision.

“I do not think this was just enough cause to break his nose, Mr Weasley,” he sneered.

Ron stared defiantly at Snape.

“And he attacked me on the train, but that wasn’t so bad. Insulting Ginny wasn’t fair play, Professor,” he stated, looking back at Dumbledore.

“Many things in life aren’t, Mr Weasley,” he murmured. “What exactly was it that Mr Malfoy said to your sister?”

Ron felt his cheeks go hot but refused to break Dumbledore’s stare.

“He said that she was…that she was the school bike, sir.”

There was a cackle from the far end of the table. Ron turned to look at Narcissa, who stared back at him with an evil grin on her face.

“I’m sure you will agree, boy, that there is nothing wrong with telling the truth,” she said, with bitter laughter in her voice.

Professor McGonagall spoke up for the first time since she had entered the room.

“If you continue to talk like that Narcissa, I am afraid we shall have to ask you to leave the school.”

She glared at the bony-faced woman, and Mrs Malfoy sat back in her chair, looking distinctly sulky.

“Well Ronald, it was indeed wrong of Mr Malfoy to act in such a way, but I’m sure you can see that his behaviour is not a sufficient enough excuse to react in the way you did,” began Professor Dumbledore.

Ron lowered his head and nodded.

“Therefore I shall take sixty points from Gryffindor, and you shall serve three week’s detention, every night from six o’clock, starting from tomorrow.”

“Yes sir,” he replied.

“Good. You shall serve your detentions with Mr Filch. I understand that he has had rather a lot to do recently, you could help ease the weight he has to carry.”

“Professor, I hardly think that three weeks with the caretaker will…” Snape began, but Professor McGonagall cut him off.

“I do hope you’re not questioning the headmaster, Severus. You know what trouble that got you into last time,” she said, raising an eyebrow and giving him a meaningful stare.

“Well of course I wasn’t…was just…merely…” he trailed off, finally throwing himself back against the chair and crossing his arms.

“You may return to your common room now, Mr Weasley,” Dumbledore said briskly.

“Thank you Professor.”

As he opened the door he turned back and caught an icy glare from Mrs Malfoy, then bolted back to the safety of the Gryffindor common room.

*****

The fat lady swung aside, allowing Ron to enter the common room. As soon as he had both of his feet on the familiar carpet, there was a sudden excited babble of voices. Someone was patting him on the back, and he heard various cries of “Good on you, Ron!” and “You’ve got guts, Weasley!”

Harry materialised before him and grinned.

“Heard all about it mate, Ginny couldn’t keep it to herself for long.”

Ron grinned back, and was ushered over to the sofa by the fireplace. Once he was settled, he began to speak.

“Oh, but they took sixty points from Gryffindor, Harry, and I’ve got to do three weeks detention with Filch!”

Apparently no one minded about the sixty points, and he did not get a chance to wallow in self-pity, as all anyone wanted was a blow-by-blow account of what had happened. Ron kept trying to apologise for the points, but finally gave in and took a deep breath before beginning:

“Well, it all started when we’d just had our Quidditch practise…”

*****
Whispered conversations and tears by H Cooper
Disclaimer: Need I say it? Well...yes actually, if I don't want to be sued. So, characters=not mine.

*****

It was around two weeks after the punching incident and Hermione had returned late to the common room, having been studying in the library for a Muggle Studies test. Exhausted, she trudged slowly up the stairs to the girls’ dormitory, heavy bag hanging from her shoulder. When she reached the door however, something made her pause. Listening carefully, she could hear Lavender and Parvatti giggling inside.

“I just don’t understand why it’s taking them so long to get together!” Lavender exclaimed, “It’s obvious that she likes him.”

“I don’t think they ever will get together,” Parvatti replied.

“What do you mean? Don’t you think they’re perfect for each other?”

Hermione pressed her ear to the door; curious to know who the girls were talking about.

“I’m not sure. I know it’s obvious that Hermione’s besotted, but I don’t think he’s interested.”

Hermione gave a small gasp. They were talking about her!

“Oh come on, she just has to touch him and his face goes as red as his hair!” Lavender laughed.

Outside the door, Hermione’s heart skipped a beat. They couldn’t be talking about…her and Ron?

Parvatti, however, pressed on.

“Yes but how do you know that’s a good thing? They’re always fighting. And,” she lowered her voice to a whisper, “the other day I heard him talking to Dean and Seamus. They kept asking him when he was going to admit that he liked her, and honestly Lavender, he sounded deadly serious when he denied it.”

“Maybe he’s just a good actor,” Lavender protested.

“Fine, maybe he is,” Parvatti was beginning to sound frustrated, “but then how do you explain what happened next? Seamus and Dean finally started to believe him and Seamus made some joke about it being ‘a lucky thing that he didn’t like her, because who would want Hermione for a girlfriend’. And,” she concluded dramatically, “Ron laughed with them.”

Lavender breathed in sharply.

“What a horrible thing to do!” she gasped, “I suppose you must be right, he can’t like her. Oh poor Hermione…” she said, sadly.

Meanwhile, outside in the corridor, Hermione's bag slid to the floor. Everything had gone blurry, and she angrily brushed the tears away from her eyes. Feeling unable to enter the dormitory, she slowly descended the stairs instead, and returned to the empty common room.

*****

Ron dragged himself into the Gryffindor common room very late that evening, after spending what felt like an eternity polishing and dusting for Filch. Stretching upwards, he felt his back and shoulders click out of their stiffness, and gave a weary sigh. It was only when he paused for a minute that he heard noises coming from near the fireplace. Surprised that anyone was still up, he moved closer until he rounded the sofa and saw Hermione huddled on the floor, head on her knees.

“Hermione,” he said quietly, “what are you doing up?”

“Go away Ron,” she said in a muffled voice.

Ron, however, crouched down next to her, and nudged her gently.

“What’s the matter, Hermione?” he asked, looking intently at where he guessed the side of her face must have been.

Suddenly, Hermione raised her head and looked at Ron, her eyes red and her cheeks wet with tears.

“I said, go away, Ron!”

She stared at him angrily, waiting for him to get up and leave. However Ron was persistent.

“What is it? What have I done?” he asked, confused.

Hermione’s eyes narrowed with anger and in a flash she reached out and pushed him so hard that he toppled over backwards.

“What have you done?” she fumed, “What have you done?”

Ron attempted to sit up but Hermione was now driving her fists repeatedly into his chest. His eyes widened at this sudden change in character.

“I thought we were friends Ronald! God forbid that, after spending over six years with you, I thought that you liked me! How could you? HOW COULD YOU BE SO MEAN?” she shouted, wild-eyed and still sobbing. “Why would anyone be that…that cruel! So no one would want a girlfriend like me, huh? Well thanks a whole bloody bunch Ron, that really made my day!”

He suddenly realised what she was upset about, and his face fell.

In between punches and sobs he tried to apologise, “Hermione! Hermione, listen, I never meant for you to hear about that!”

He winced, realising what a stupid thing that was to say when she growled in anger and punched him harder.

“Damnit, no, that’s not what I meant!” he shouted over her cries of “Bastard!” and “Heartless coward!”

“I only went along with it because I didn’t want them to think they were right, Hermione, because they’d have given me a right bollocking! But it was stupid, and I’m sorry. Hermione, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean anything by it. You should know that!”

He grabbed at her fists to stop her hitting at him, and forced her to look in his direction.

“I’m so sorry if I upset you, Hermione.”

Hermione continued to cry, but she was calmer now. Her head dropped down onto his shoulder and instinctively Ron wrapped his arms around her and rocked her slowly back and forth, muttering “I’m so sorry,” over and over.

As her tears stopped, he began to absent-mindedly stroke her hair.

“You know I’d never intentionally hurt you Hermione, you’re far too important to me.”

Ron had struggled to say it, but he was glad that he did when she looked at him and smiled, resting her head against his chest.

“I know Ron, it’s alright,” she said, sleepily.

*****

At around two o’clock in the morning Harry awoke, feeling uneasy, and fumbled around for his glasses. He hadn’t been sleeping well. Ron wasn’t in the dormitory when he went to bed and, with a quick glance around the room, he saw that he was still not back.

Worried, Harry got up and put on his dressing gown. Reaching for the invisibility cloak, he decided to go and search for him.

However Harry paused when he reached the bottom of the stairs. By the dim light of the fire he could see two figures slumped against the sofa in the middle of the common room. As he tiptoed closer, he realised with some surprise that it was Ron and Hermione. Hermione was curled up on her side, her head resting in Ron’s lap. Even from a distance, Harry could see Ron’s fingers entwined in her hair, as they both slept peacefully. He was about to return upstairs to the boys’ dormitory, but then realised that the pair would probably not want to be found in their current position by their fellow Gryffindors.

Thinking quickly, Harry picked up a book from a nearby table and retreated some way up the stairs, pausing to let the book tumble down and land noisily on the floor of the common room. He saw Hermione begin to stir, and ducked out of sight, returning to his bed.

*****

Hermione awoke slowly, not really sure why she was awake so early. Suddenly she became aware of where she was, and felt Ron’s fingers in her hair. Cheeks colouring a deep red, she carefully eased herself up from his lap. He awoke with a start.

“Huh? Hermione…” it seemed that he too realised what they must have looked like, as he blushed fiercely.

“What time is it?” she asked quietly, looking anywhere but at Ron.

“Um…it’s about two o’clock I think,” he muttered.

Without speaking she got to her feet, and took a few steps away from him.

“I’m going to go…” she motioned to the stairs leading to the girls’ dormitory, and Ron nodded.

“Yeah, right. I’d better as well.”

He got up and began to move towards the security of his room, but stopped before he got to the stairs.

“Hermione?” he began, turning to look at her.

“Yes?” she said, still unable to meet his eyes.

“About yesterday, and…that thing…I’m just…well, I’m “ ”

“It’s alright. I understand.” Hermione cut him off, and smiled. Ron smiled back.

“Forget about it, ok?” she said softly.

“Yeah…ok,” he grinned, and turned back to walk up the stairs.

*****

Harry heard the door open and close quietly, and saw Ron move quietly over to his bed out of the corner of his eye. He heard the squeak of bedsprings and a small sigh.

There was silence in the room again as Harry stared up at the ceiling, brows knitted in thought, wondering what the next day would bring.

*****
Blown out of proportion by H Cooper
A/N: This is the first time I've really attempted writing from Harry's point of view, as he's not the main focus of my story, but it seemed appropriate at this point. Good news for any dissatisfied Harry fanatics!

Disclaimer: So, none of the characters here are mine. Although I'm guessing most of you already knew that.

*****

Harry woke up early the following morning, feeling as though he had barely slept. However once his eyes opened he knew he wouldn’t fall asleep again. Groaning, he glanced at the clock beside his bed. Seven thirty. Seven thirty on a Saturday? What was wrong with him? He glanced over to Ron’s bed, hoping that he was awake too. The sight of his friend’s sleeping face brought him back to reality with a jolt. Last night. This morning, even. Harry squeezed his eyes shut, trying to push the memory from his mind. Ron and Hermione, together, her head in his lap for God’s sake.

The sound of movement from beside him caused him to fall perfectly still. Ron turned over, and began to snore. Breathing out slowly, Harry decided that he wasn’t ready to face him when he woke up. He got out of bed and changed into his robes, creeping out of the dormitory and closing the door silently behind him.

As soon as he was out of the room, Harry rushed downstairs and out through the portrait hole, only feeling safe when he was a good one hundred metres away from the common room. Unsure of what to do with himself he decided to go down to the hall for breakfast, his mind a tangle of thoughts competing for attention.

*****

The Great Hall was practically empty when he walked in, the only people aside from himself a small gaggle of second year girls who burst into a fit of high-pitched giggles when they recognised him. With a sigh he slumped down at the Gryffindor table, a plate of toast and scrambled eggs appearing before him. Harry, however, realised that he was not in the mood to eat. Pushing his fast-cooling breakfast around his plate, his mind returned once again to the events of the night before. His two best friends curled up together.

So Ron and Hermione were a couple? When did that happen? And why did he feel so weird about it? After all, he had been expecting it since…well practically since their second year at Hogwarts. He was the one who had been urging Ron to confess his love, so why did he now wish he had never mentioned it? He should be happy for them, he really should…but he just couldn’t. It felt far too strange. Besides, they hadn’t even told him about it. He was supposed to be their best friend, yet they kept this from him.

Suddenly he felt the voice of reason grip him, as he realised that it might have only happened last night, so they couldn’t have told him yet. This thought eased his rising anger a little and, deciding that he would ask Ron about it when he woke up, he got up and headed outside.

*****

About an hour later, Harry heard footsteps approaching him across the grass.

“Hey Harry, where were you this morning?”

Harry looked up, shielding his eyes against the early morning sunlight, and saw Ron standing above him. Turning his gaze back towards the lake, he said, “I woke up early. Figured you’d want to sleep on so I came down for breakfast alone.”

He felt, rather than saw, Ron sit down next to him.

“Right. S’just Hermione was worried when you didn’t turn up.”

Harry closed his eyes briefly at the mention of Hermione, then remembered that he was meant to be talking to him about last night.

“What happened to you last night? You weren’t back by the time I went to bed,” he looked at the side of Ron’s face, waiting for some kind of confession.

Ron blushed slightly, but said with not a hint of hesitation in his voice, “Oh you know what Filch is like. He decided to keep me in detention for as long as possible just out of spite.”

Glancing at Harry, Ron saw that his friend was giving him a look he couldn’t decipher.

“What?” he asked, worried by the way Harry was staring at him. Harry, meanwhile, felt his earlier frustration come flooding back.

“So that’s where you were?” he repeated, “Still helping Filch? That’s it?”

“Yeah,” Ron replied, looking bewildered, “Harry, what is it?”

Harry said nothing, but got up and began walking back towards the castle.

“Harry!” he heard Ron shout from behind him, “Harry! Wait up!”

But he continued to stride away from the lake, heading for the common room.

*****

As the portrait of the fat lady swung closed behind him, Harry searched the room quickly for signs of Hermione. He spotted her sitting by the fire, surrounded by piles of books. He smiled, thinking it was just like her to be working on a Saturday, but then reminded himself that he had more important things to think about.

“Hermione,” he said brusquely, sitting down opposite her.

“Oh hello Harry, didn’t see you come in,” she murmured, before glancing up at him and smiling. “Everything ok?”

“Dunno,” he muttered, causing her to frown slightly. Before she could open her mouth to speak, he fired a question at her, “Get up to anything last night then?”

Hermione’s frown deepened at his tone of voice, and there was a flicker of something else in her eyes, but she looked at him and resolutely replied, “No, not really. Why?”

Harry scowled. Why would neither of them tell him what was going on? He felt betrayed.

“Oh, nothing. Nothing at all.”

He stood up and stormed out of the common room, only to bump into Ron in the corridor.

“Harry mate, listen. I don’t know what’s going on but do you want to talk about it?”

In reply, Harry merely gave him a bitter look and continued on down the corridor. As he turned the corner he heard a faint, “Bloody hell, what is it with people this week?”

*****

It was a good few hours before anyone found him, but when Harry turned at the sound of the door opening, he was surprised to see Ginny enter the owlery.

“Hey Harry,” she said quietly.

Turning back to look out of the window, he gave a moody grunt in reply.

There was a moment’s silence, then she appeared next to him, looking not at his face but out across the grounds. After a minute, she said, “Hermione told me about this morning. She’s worried about you Harry.”
He laughed bitterly and continued to stare out of the window.

“What’s going on? Why all the teen angst?”

Harry turned to look at her, ready to tell her to get lost, but decided that he couldn’t. He made a strangled noise deep in his throat, and muttered, “Gin…I can’t…”

He felt her gaze boring into him, and closed his eyes in resignation.

“It was…well…your brother.”

“Ron?” she asked, “What happened, Harry? What did he do?”

He made the noise again, and felt like stomping his feet. He couldn’t lie to Ginny. He didn’t know why, but he just couldn’t. Awkwardly, feeling his cheeks begin to flush, he muttered “It wasn’t just him. He didn’t really do anything. Or…well…oh Ginny!”

She merely continued to stare at him, urging him on.

“He and…Hermione…” he trailed off.

Harry glanced nervously at Ginny to see her reaction. She looked a little taken aback, but when she spoke it was with an eerie calmness.

“Really? What, last night? Huh. Hermione didn’t mention it.”

Harry frowned and turned away.

“Well she wouldn’t, would she?” hearing nothing from Ginny, he continued, “I woke up in the middle of the night and Ron wasn’t back. When I went to look for him…he was…they were…she had her head in his lap Ginny! They must’ve fallen asleep after…after…” he trailed off, a look of mingled distaste and hurt flooding his face. He waited for Ginny to speak.

After a moment, he felt her lay a hand hesitantly on his shoulder. Harry turned to face her as she said, “But Harry, aren’t you glad? We’ve always kind of known, haven’t we? I mean, they’re your best friends, you should be happy for them! And just because they’re…together…doesn’t mean they feel any differently about you.”

As Ginny reeled off all the arguments he himself had dismissed earlier, they seemed to make perfect sense. However, there was still something nagging at him.

“But they didn’t tell me Gin…I gave them plenty of chances and they didn’t tell me…”

Looking at Ginny’s face, he saw a little of the hurt he was feeling reflected there. As if she had forgotten it was still there, she removed her hand from his shoulder and turned to look out of the window.

“I know Harry. I can’t explain that away. I expect they have their own good reasons.”

Harry raised an eyebrow but said nothing, and they spent the next few minutes in silence, both lost in thought.

*****

Dinner that evening was an uncomfortable affair, as Harry refused to talk to Ron and Hermione, despite their constant attempts to make conversation. Ron and Hermione were also edgy with each other, Harry noticed with a slight flutter of bitter satisfaction. Ginny, meanwhile, was sitting as far away as possible, clearly determined not to be dragged into their mess, and was talking to one of the sixth year boys instead. Harry watched them for a while, smiling at the boy’s efforts to make her laugh.

When he finished eating Harry went straight through the common room, up to the dormitory. He sat down on his bed wearily, and was too busy thinking to notice the door open a few minutes later.

“Harry?” a voice said tentatively.

Looking up, he saw Ron standing nervously by the door, regarding him with caution.

“Just get lost, would you Ron?” he muttered angrily, though he was too tired to put much effort into it.

Hearing the door close, he gave a grateful sigh and went to lie back on his bed. However when he did he realised that Ron had not left the room, and was now standing a few feet away. Sitting up, Harry’s eyes flashed with anger.

“I asked you to leave.”

Ron looked at him almost sadly, and replied, “I’m not leaving, Harry. You can yell all you want, but I want to know why you’re so pissed off at me all of a sudden.”

With this he sat down on his bed, hands between his knees, and looked at him. When Harry did not say anything, he motioned with his hands, “Go on then. Tell me what’s going on.”

Harry’s eyes narrowed, but instead of hitting out at Ron he merely spoke in a low, harsh voice.

“You want to know what’s going on? My ‘best friend’ doesn’t trust me, that’s what’s going on. My ‘best friend’ has decided he doesn’t want to tell me anything important anymore. My ‘best friend’ is evidently no longer my friend.”

Ron’s eyes widened. He opened his mouth to speak, but Harry cut him off.

“You and Hermione? Last night? I thought I should remind you as clearly you’re too much of a coward to tell me yourself.”

Ron went bright red, and looked down at his fingers.

“I don’t know what you think happened Harry, but I swear to you…it was nothing.”

He looked up hopefully, but Harry was even angrier than before.

“Nothing? Bloody hell Ron, she had her head in your lap! Your fingers were all…tangled up in her hair!”

Ron looked like he wished the floor would swallow him up.

“Yeah…” he muttered, “I realise how it looked…but honestly Harry, I was just…she was just…” he took a deep breath and began again, feeling Harry’s eyes boring into him.

“You know how I feel but…nothing would ever happen.”

Harry was briefly surprised that Ron was finally admitting how he felt.

“She was upset. I did something stupid…really stupid…and I was trying to get her to calm down. You should’ve seen her Harry…” he muttered, looking at Harry with horror, “I mean, I didn’t know she could cry like that! But anyway…I finally got her to forgive me and we just…kind of…fell asleep.”

He glanced at Harry nervously.

“So, nothing really happened?” Harry asked, carefully.

“Honestly. I’d tell you something like that mate, you know I would!”

Harry stared at Ron for a minute, then smiled wickedly.

“But you want it to, huh?”

Ron turned a deeper shade of crimson than Harry thought possible, and began to splutter, “No…I never…I didn’t mean to say…Christ Harry!”

Seeing Harry grin at him, he began to grin back. Soon they were laughing and joking, Ron desperately trying to dig his way out of the hole he had dug himself into. When the other boys came into the room, they were greeted by the sight of Ron and Harry playing a rather enthusiastic game of wizard’s chess.

“Nice to have things back to normal, hey lads?” Seamus laughed, as they closed the door behind them and went to join Harry and Ron.

*****
September the 19th by H Cooper
A/N: I had some trouble finishing this chapter off, and I'm afraid it comes off sounding slightly corny. So, there you have it. Apologies if it makes anyone cringe.

Disclaimer: The characters here aren't mine. None of them. Life's really not fair...

*****

The next day, Harry and Ron were making their way towards Defense Against the Dark Arts, exchanging jokes that would cause Mrs. Weasley to smack Ron around the back of the head if she happened to overhear them. Unfortunately, Harry was too busy laughing hysterically over the punch line of a particularly rude joke to watch where he was going.

“Ow!”

He collided with what appeared to be a moving stack of books, provoking a cry of pain. As the books collapsed onto the floor Ginny appeared, looking rather worse for the wear.

“Oops…sorry Ginny!” Harry grinned, and bent down to help her gather up her things.

“Yeah well…” she muttered, trying to suppress a smile, “watch where you’re going in the future, Potter.”

“Come on, Ginny,” Ron laughed, “with that many books you’re just a disaster waiting to happen.”

Adjusting the pile carefully, she threw Ron a scornful look and turned to Harry.

“I was just on my way to the library. I have a free lesson now so I thought I’d catch up on some work.”

“You have a free lesson? Why? It’s not lunch already is it?” Harry asked, confused.

Ginny laughed.

“Always thinking about your stomachs, you two. Actually, Potions was cancelled. None of the teachers were available to cover for Snape so we were let off for once.”

Ron’s face lit up.

“Snape’s ill? Oh, there is a God!”

However, after a piercing stare from Ginny he changed tack.

“Er…I mean…not great that he’s ill of course…because that would be a bad thing to say…very, very bad…” he glanced at his sister’s face. “You know, you become more like mum every day.”

Ginny moved as if to hit him but, finding that she would lose control of her books again, sent Harry an appealing look.

“Harry?”

“Sure,” he shrugged, and punched Ron playfully on the shoulder.

“Hey!” Ron moaned, rubbing his arm with a look of hurt on his face. “Why are you on her side? That’s just not fair!”

Harry and Ginny giggled until, suddenly, a thought struck her.

“Hey, what have you two bought Hermione for her birthday?”

“Oh I found a shop selling hand-made leather bound diaries. Figured she’d probably finished her old one off by now,” Harry smiled, then looked expectantly at Ron.

He had paled and was looking extremely shifty.

“Ron…” Harry groaned, “tell me you haven’t forgotten.”

Ginny turned to stare at her brother, positively fuming.

“Ron! You’re a miserable excuse for a friend! The 19th of September, Ron? Tomorrow? It’s her 18th for God’s sake! I can’t believe you forgot!”

Ron was staring at the ground, looking very guilty.

“Urgh! Men are so useless!” Ginny exclaimed, as she stormed off around the corner, barely hearing Harry’s “Hey!” of protest.

They walked on in silence, Ron thinking furiously. Just before they reached their classroom, Ron put a hand on Harry’s arm to stop him.

“Mate, I need to borrow your cloak and the map.”

“But Ron, I’m not sure now is such a great idea, we still have Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms!”

“I know, I know. Just tell them I’m ill or something. Please, Harry? She’ll kill me if she realises I forgot.”

Harry heaved a weary sigh and shook his head in acceptance.

“Fine. But if you get caught I’m not covering for you!” he shouted at Ron’s fast disappearing back, as he raced off towards the common room.

*****

Ron reappeared in the common room at about five o’clock that evening, looking tired and dishevelled.

“Ron! Where on earth have you been? You missed two lessons!”

Hermione rushed towards him, eager to scold.

“Had an emergency…” he muttered.

“What kind of emergency? Surely nothing serious enough to mean you had to miss your lessons. I knew Harry was covering for you when he said you were ill. What’s that?” she pointed at something Ron was trying to conceal behind his back.

“It’s nothing,” he replied, looking nervous and attempting to push it even further from sight.

Instinctively Hermione reached behind him and tried to grab it.

“Hermione! Leave off, would you? I said it’s nothing!”

Hermione’s hand dropped back against her side, and she looked slightly hurt. Ron sighed inwardly, then shrugged.

“I’m just going upstairs for a minute, I’ll be right back down.”

Hermione nodded mutely, and returned to her seat.

*****

As Ron hid the box in his trunk he heard the dormitory door open behind him. Craning his neck, he saw Harry walk in.

“Oh, hi Harry. Here’s your stuff,” he said, dumping the cloak and the marauder’s map onto his bed.

“So what’d you get her?” Harry asked, trying to look in Ron’s fast-closing trunk.

He tapped the side of his nose and grinned.

“You’ll have to wait until tomorrow to find that out, won’t you?”

Harry raised an eyebrow, but decided not to push it.

“Alright. Let’s go back down then. Dinner beckons, I believe.”

Ron’s stomach growled in agreement, and they headed off toward the main hall.

*****

“Ah…gerroff! What the…” Ron woke up the next morning to feel Harry prodding his arm. “Harry!”

His friend laughed and said, “It’s eight thirty. Ginny’s already been in but you were dead to the world. Apparently Hermione’s getting a bit impatient and if you don’t get dressed soon, well…”

“Yeah, yeah,” he moaned, struggling out of bed, “I’m dead meat, I get it.”

As Ron finished buttoning up his shirt, the door to the dormitory opened. He breathed in sharply when he saw Hermione walk in. She twirled slowly in front of them, smiling broadly.

“D’you like it?” she asked, brushing herself down.

“Hermione, you look…” Ron stuttered.

“It’s great, Hermione. Present?” Harry cut in, as Ron seemed unable to speak coherently.

“Yes. Ginny bought it for me; isn’t it beautiful?” she grinned.

Hermione was wearing a soft, sapphire blue top with long flared sleeves and a deep v-neck. Ron could not help but goggle at the curves which had seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

“Here, Hermione, I got you something,” Harry smiled, giving Ron a barely noticeable smack as he walked past him.

She turned her attention to the parcel that had been placed in her hands. Tearing at the paper, she pulled out the diary and, stroking the soft cover, grinned at Harry.

“Happy birthday, Hermione,” he said, giving her a quick hug.

“Thanks Harry, it’s just what I needed.”

There was a light tap on the door and Ginny entered, giving Hermione a hug before turning to Harry.

“Hey Harry, could you come downstairs a minute? I need your help with something.”

Harry looked puzzled, and glanced at Hermione who nodded happily.

“Go, it’s alright. I have a whole day for attention-giving, you know,” she laughed, and Harry threw her a grateful smile.

“Ok. I’ll be back in a bit,” he said, following Ginny out of the room and leaving Ron and Hermione alone.

*****

Ginny slumped down into one of the large armchairs in the common room, and gazed into the fire happily. Harry, confused, looked around the room.

“Ginny?”

“Mmhmm?”

“You wanted help with something?”

She looked at him as if he were slow.

“No Harry. I didn’t.”

“But…you said…” he spluttered, absolutely baffled.

“I thought maybe they should have some time alone,” she smiled, looking back into the fireplace.

Harry paused, letting the meaning of her words sink in. After a minute had passed and he was still standing in the same position, Ginny glanced up at him.

“Harry?” she said questioningly.

“Yeah…” he smiled, “you’re probably right.” With that he sat down on the sofa opposite Ginny, and settled himself amongst the cushions.

*****

“Ron?” Hermione asked, as he had not said anything since Harry and Ginny left and was just staring at her.

The sound of her voice appeared to bring him out of a dream, and he grinned.

“Happy birthday, Hermione. I bought you something too,” he said, turning to rummage through his trunk.

“Aha!” he gave a cry of triumph, and when he turned to face her, Hermione was surprised to see that he was holding not a book, but a small box.

Holding it out expectantly, he flashed her a shy smile.

“I hope you like it,” he said as she took it from him.

Eagerly, Hermione pulled off the wrapping paper and saw a small wooden box, carved with a pattern of leaves and vines. She glanced nervously up at Ron.

“Go ahead,” he grinned, “open it.”

Prising the lid open gently, she gasped.

Nestled inside the box was a silver locket, ornately carved with tiny twisting vines and hung on a delicate chain. Quietly she removed it from the box and stared at it.

“It’s not just that…” Ron muttered, thinking that her lack of speech meant that she was unimpressed, “open it up.”

Searching carefully, Hermione found a small clasp on the side of the locket and opened it with her fingernail. Inside was a tiny picture of Ron, Harry and herself, taken about a year ago. The Ron in the picture had his arms flung around their shoulders, and was grinning broadly at her. However when she looked up, Ron was staring at his feet.

“Ron…”

He looked up at the mention of his name.

“It’s…it’s beautiful Ron. It’s perfect.”

His face cracked with a smile of relief, as he shuffled his feet, mumbling something like, “Yeah well…s’alright…”

She embraced him tightly and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. Moving away, she saw that his cheeks were burning. Nervously, she held it up to him.

“Would you…would you put it on?”

For a second, Ron was confused, thinking that she wanted him to wear it. However when she turned her back to him and lifted her hair away from her neck, he understood.

“Oh,” he muttered, clearing his throat, “um…sure.”

Reaching around her front he brought the necklace together behind her neck, and carefully fastened the minute clasp. As it fell against her skin, she involuntarily straightened her back, causing the neck of her top to shift down slightly. She was about to let go of her hair when Ron spoke softly.

“Wait…”

There was a raised line on her skin, leading from the top of her spine out across her shoulder. Gently, he traced it with his finger. Hermione shivered.

“Hermione, what is this?” he muttered, noticing another scar disappearing away beneath her top.

Turning around to face him she kept her eyes to the ground.

Slowly, she began to speak.

“It was last Christmas. You know I went home for the holidays?” she raised her eyes to meet Ron’s, and, seeing his worried expression she rushed on. “Well, the thing is, on Boxing Day the Death Eaters found my house. I think they wanted to use me as bait for Harry. They were only there for about ten minutes before the Order appeared, but I had to fight them off by myself and they…cornered me.”

Ron saw tears appear in her eyes as she hastily brushed them away.

“I was dueling with one of them, but there was another behind me and I didn’t realise. All I heard was him muttering some curse, I don’t know what it was, and then there was this blinding pain and…and I had these deep cuts all down my back.” At this she turned and raised the hem of her top, revealing yet more scars. “Dumbledore said they would disappear with time, and they are I suppose…”

Behind her, Ron was clenching his fists, his face dark with fury.

“Hermione, I am never letting you go anywhere without another wizard beside you. Ever. Do you hear me? I can’t believe I wasn’t there to help you!”

Hermione turned quickly.

“Don’t ever think that this was your fault, Ron. I mean it. How were you to know this would happen?”

She looked at his face and saw guilt written all over it.

“Oh Ron…” she sighed, and wrapped her arms around him, pressing her face into his shoulder. Unsure of what to do, Ron carefully laid his arms around her waist. They stood like that for a few minutes, and then she pulled away, looking at him intently.

“I absolutely forbid you to feel guilty. If you won’t do it for yourself, do it for me.”

Ron could have sworn he saw a twinkle in her eye as she said this.

He nodded dumbly.

“Now come on, I have an eighteenth birthday to celebrate!” and she dragged him from the dormitory, forcing a smile to reappear on his face.

*****
Autumn arrives by H Cooper
A/N: I know it's been ages, and I'm really sorry, but I've been having such problems with the site. Hopefully this will get through soon, and I've already written the next chapter. Sorry for any frustration caused.


Disclaimer: All of the characters used belong to J.K.Rowling, not me.

*****

It was mid-October at Hogwarts, and the grounds were covered with golden leaves. Early on Sunday morning the sun was shining, the air was still, and Ron was restless.

“Come on, Hermione…” he whined, for the tenth time in as many minutes.

“Ron, I told you before, I’m busy!”

“But look at that brilliant day out there, don’t be so boring!”

Hermione gave him a withering look.

“Much as that comment makes me eager to spend time with you, I’m afraid its going to be the same answer again, Ron: no,” she commented, voice laced with sarcasm.

“But there’s hardly anyone out there!”

“Yes, Ron. That would be because they are doing the sensible thing and finishing their homework first.”

“Hermione, if you don’t start moving in the next 5 seconds, I’m going to have to take you by force,” he threatened.

Hermione snorted and leaned back over her books, smiling at this empty threat.

“Yeah right, Ron. Of course you will.”

She laughed and returned to her work.

“Five…” a smile played around her lips as she sensed him getting more and more frustrated.

“Four…Three…” Hermione looked up at Ron, smiling. Slowly she got to her feet, but didn’t move.

“Two…I’m still waiting for you to move Hermione,” she flashed him a cheeky smile and began to sit back down.

“One,” Ron paused, realizing that he was running low on options. He was tempted to back down and go outside alone, but that would be admitting defeat, and he knew he would never hear the end of it from Hermione. Pushing aside any embarrassment that had held him back countless times before, he took a deep breath, feigned a stern look, and acted before he could change his mind.

“Right. You asked for it,” he said, grabbing her around the waist and throwing her over his shoulder before she could put up a fight.

“Ron! Ron, what the hell are you doing?! Put me down AT ONCE!” she screamed, drumming her fists against his back. Ron laughed, marveling at how light she was, or maybe he was just stronger than the last time he had…well actually, he had never tried to carry Hermione before. Not quite believing what he was doing, he turned and took her downstairs.

*****

“PUT ME DOWN!”

As he strolled across the grounds, Hermione was half screaming, half laughing. They were attracting some strange looks but, as Ron had mentioned earlier, there were very few people out and about.

“Ronald Weasley, you are“”

“Intelligent?”

“No!”

“Incredibly strong?”

“No!”

“Finally beating you at something?”

By this point Hermione was laughing so hard that Ron could feel the vibrations against his back.

“That doesn’t even make sense!”

They reached a large oak tree near the edge of the lake and Ron dropped down on his knees, finally letting Hermione fall gently against the ground. Their laughter ceased as they realized how close they were. Ron was raised up on his elbows hovering just above Hermione, his face only inches from hers. He found he couldn’t look her in the eye, so he searched for something else, anything else, to look at. To Ron’s embarrassment, he realized he was now staring at her mouth. Nervously, she licked her lips.

Ron let out an almost inaudible groan.

“Hermione…” his voice cracked noticeably.

For a moment, they just stared at each other. Hermione opened her mouth to speak, but she was interrupted.

“Ron! Hermione!”

Harry came jogging towards them and they sprang apart, Hermione nervously adjusting the hem of her skirt, which had ridden up.

“Hey, I’ve been looking for you two everywhere. I thought we were going to see Hagrid.”

Harry glanced from Ron to Hermione and, seeing their reddened faces, a smile began to spread across his face.

“Unless you’d rather I go on ahead…” he joked.

Ron looked flustered and leapt up.

“Why would you do that, Harry? We’re - I mean - I’m ready now.”

He turned to look at Hermione and, with forced nonchalance, said “You ready Hermione?”

By this time Harry was grinning, and he found himself fighting back the urge to laugh all the way to Hagrid’s hut.

*****

“What’re you lot doin’ ’ere?”

Hagrid stood, one hand still on the open door, staring down at the three students.

“Oh cheers Hagrid, there’s a nice greeting for you!” Harry laughed, as he pushed past him and walked into the hut.

Looking stern, Hagrid turned to frown at him.

“Yeh should be studyin’ for yer exams, not wastin’ time round ’ere!” he protested.

“Oh come on, we’re just taking a break. Besides, the exams aren’t for ages yet,” Ron grinned, dropping down into a seat next to Harry.

With a helpless expression, Hagrid turned to look at Hermione.

“Don’t you look at me like that! This wasn’t my idea. Ask Ron, I didn’t leave my books willingly!” she declared, sending Ron a pointed stare. All she got in reply was a snort.

“Honestly you three, I didn’ get to sit my exams and look wha’ happened to me!”

By this point Hagrid had given up hope of persuading them to leave and had sat back down in dejection.

Harry raised an eyebrow and smiled as he shuffled over to make room for Hermione.

“Are you saying you didn’t dream of doing this when you were at school, Hagrid?” he asked in a tone that suggested he already knew the answer.

“Wha’ do you think?” Hagrid sighed.

Harry looked surprised, and when Hagrid looked up he noticed the puzzlement on their faces.

“Don’ get me wrong, I’m awful grateful fer what Dumbledore did fer me. An’ I’m glad that I get to work near you lot, but this ’ent exactly my dream job,” he mumbled.

There was silence, and then Hermione spoke up.

“What do you want to do, Hagrid?”

He looked up, then went back to studying the floor between his feet.

“Well when I were a kid I always dreamed of workin’ wi’ magical creatures, in their natural habitat like,” he paused and looked at Ron. “Sorta like yer brother Charlie, Ron. Something adventurous and full o’ danger,” he trailed off.

“Well couldn’t you still do that Hagrid?” Ron asked cautiously.

“Nah…yeh need O.W.Ls an’ N.E.W.Ts fer a job like that…” he straightened his shoulders and looked stern again, “which is why you lot should be in the library, or studyin’ somewhere quiet.”

Harry laughed.

“Alright, alright. We’ll go back to the castle.”

The three of them rose from their seats and moved towards the door.

“See yeh later, no doubt,” Hagrid smiled, happy to have had an influence on them.

“See you, Hagrid,” Ron waved as they began to walk slowly back to the common room. When they were halfway across the grounds, Hermione stopped suddenly.

“What is it, Hermione?” Harry inquired.

“Oh, I just forgot to ask Hagrid something. You two go on, I’ll catch you up.”

“Huh. Skiving off revision, eh?” Ron joked. “Never thought I’d see the day.”

Harry laughed as Hermione wandered back, and the two boys continued to walk on in silence. After a few minutes, a grin spread across his face. With a look of innocence he turned to Ron.

“So. You and Hermione were getting up to a little of your own extra-curricular activities back there, hmm?”

Ron’s face flushed a deep red as he stared at Harry, horrified.

“I-I don’t know what you mean!” he spluttered.

“Ooh, so she won’t have you then? Aaw, poor ickle Ronniekins…” Harry laughed as he saw the effect his comments were having on his friend.

“No! I mean…oh shut up, Harry. You don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Oh don’t I? I’m no idiot Ron, I heard you confess your undying love when we were fighting. And you thought I’d forgotten!”

Harry walked on, laughing as Ron tried feebly to make excuses.

“No Harry, you see you’ve got it all wrong. When I said that what I really meant was you know how I feel about…about arguments! Yeah! That was it! Harry? Harry!”

But Ron’s ramblings had no effect on Harry, who was laughing too hard to hear anything.

*****
Lies and excuses by H Cooper
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters and names, they belong to J.K.Rowling.

*****

Autumn was drawing to a close, and the students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry were spending more and more time in their common rooms, huddled around the nearest fireplace.

On one such chilly afternoon, Harry and Ron found themselves surrounded by a month’s worth of Defense Against the Dark Arts notes, each trying to complete a two foot long essay on the best method to deal with an unruly Demiguise. Hermione, meanwhile, sat contentedly to one side, having finished the essay the previous week.

“Come on, Hermione,” coaxed Harry, “you know you want to show us your homework!”

Hermione snorted scornfully.

“Yes Harry, because the past has proven me to be that easy to fool,” she said, sarcastically.

Ron moaned in despair.

“Two feet! You have to agree that that’s just verging on the ridiculously insane!”

“We were given two weeks, Ronald. If you would just learn to plan ahead a little…”

Ron threw her a sulky look, but it was Harry who replied.

“You know us better than that, Hermione,” he grinned.

“And you know me better than to think I’ll let you copy mine,” she fired back, a satisfied smile on her face.

Harry sighed in defeat, and turned his attention back to the blank page in front of him.

After ten minutes of silence, however, Hermione began to get bored. As she had finished reading all of her books, and Ginny was nowhere to be seen, she slid along the sofa and peered over Ron’s shoulder at his introduction.

Tutting quietly, she pointed to a line of scraggly handwriting.

“The Demiguise is native to the Far East, Ron, not Eastern Europe.”

Ron turned to frown at her.

“If you’re not going to help properly Hermione, then don’t interfere,” he snapped, turning back to his work.

Hermione turned a pinkish-red and opened her mouth to reply, but Harry, sensing another argument, spoke up before she could utter a word.

“It’s okay, Hermione, you know he doesn’t mean it,” here he paused to throw a scathing look at Ron, before continuing, “this essay is just stressful, especially at six o’clock on a Sunday afternoon!”

She sighed wearily, feeling the pressure of Harry’s pleading gaze.

“Fine. Look, I’m not going to give you the essay, because that would be cheating. But I did condense my notes, and they’ll be much easier for you to work from than that mess,” she gestured towards the haphazard piles of books and parchment.

Harry grinned.

“Cheers, Hermione. We owe you one!”

Ron, too, was looking decidedly happier.

“I’m pretty certain the notes are still in my bag. Now hold on…where did I leave it?” she muttered to herself, searching the common room with her eyes. Harry searched under the chairs nearby, trying to spot what could potentially be the source of a good evening.

“Wait! I know where I left it,” she smiled, feeling rather foolish. Without thinking, she leaned across Ron to the arm of the sofa, around which was hooked her schoolbag.

Suddenly, Hermione became aware that she was now leaning heavily across Ron’s lap. Slowly she sat upright, taking in Ron’s flushed cheeks and strange expression. Her gaze locked with his and there was a long moment’s silence, even from Harry. The tension was broken when a familiar voice came from just in front of them.

“Hi guys!” Ginny flashed them a grin, before settling herself down on the floor next to Harry. “What’s going on?”

Ron cleared his throat and Hermione sat back against the sofa, with a look on her face that he could not interpret.

“Homework,” he began falteringly, tearing his gaze away from Hermione’s expression, “Defense Against the Dark Arts, you know the drill.”

“Ah, I see. You two leave it to the last minute again, hmm? Honestly Hermione, I don’t know why you put up with them!” she grinned and gave Harry a playful cuff on the arm.

Hermione, however, was in a very peculiar mood, as she replied, “Nor do I, Ginny.”

She stood up abruptly, and said to no one in particular, “I’m going to bed.”

Harry looked puzzled.

“But Hermione, it’s only a quarter past six!”

“Right. Well I’ll just go upstairs then…” she replied, and walked purposefully away towards the girls’ dormitory.

Harry and Ron exchanged a confused look, but Ginny had an expression of dawning comprehension written on her face.

“Gin…” Ron began, but she cut him off.

“I’m going up too. I’ll talk to you two in the morning,” and with that she followed Hermione up the staircase.

“What the…?” Ron muttered to himself, glancing at Harry’s bemused expression.

“Girls,” his friend said, simply.

“Yeah,” he replied, “girls.”

*****

When Ginny entered the girls’ dormitory, Hermione was sitting on her bed, scribbling furiously in her diary.

“Hi Hermione,” Ginny said, when her friend failed to notice she was there.

Hermione started, and finally noticed Ginny standing in front of her.

“Oh, hi, Ginny. Sorry, I didn’t see you there,” she said with forced brightness, slamming the book shut hastily.

Ginny sat down on the edge of the bed and looked curiously at Hermione.

“So what’s going on?” she enquired.

“Going on? Nothing’s going on. Why do you ask?”

“Oh come on Hermione, you’re not talking to Ron and Harry here. I know something’s bothering you, and I’m not leaving until you tell me what it is.”

Hermione stared at her in silence for a minute, but then her expression changed and she let out a heavy sigh.

“It’s your brother, actually,” she said, absent-mindedly tracing the pattern on the bedspread with her finger.

“Now how did I know it would be about Ron?” Ginny said, smiling. “What’s the idiot done now?”

“It’s not really like that. He hasn’t done anything. Which I suppose is part of the problem…” she trailed off.

“Oh…I see,” Ginny grinned; she had already guessed that this was coming.

Hermione glanced up and, seeing the look on her friend’s face, backtracked hastily.

“Don’t look at me like that Ginny, I didn’t mean it like that. I just - I don’t know what’s going on inside his head. He confuses me, I suppose.”

Ginny laughed, provoking a frown from Hermione.

“Yeah right, Hermione. He’s a boy. You can’t seriously expect to understand his thought process? That is, if he even has one…I wouldn’t be surprised if all you could find in Ron’s head was a picture of a roast dinner!”

Hermione laughed. Ginny was right. Then, remembering her worries from before, she groaned in frustration.

“I just wish I knew, once and for all, if “ I mean “ what’s going on in there. Then I could spend less time obsessing over…it,” she finished, glancing at Ginny.

“If you really want, I could talk to him. I’ve been known to be pretty persuasive, so if he’s hiding something, I’ll get it out of him.”

Hermione smiled.

“Thanks Ginny, you’re a great friend.”

“I know, I know,” she said, with an exaggerated sigh, “the things I do for you!”

“Ordinarily I wouldn’t ask, it’s just - well Ron’s just such a “ such a boy!”

Ginny giggled, and together they gave an exasperated groan, “Boys!”

*****

Ginny didn’t approach her brother until after Quidditch practice, after waiting until everyone else was heading back up to the castle.

“Hey, Ron,” she smiled, helping him pack up the balls.

Ron raised his eyebrow and smiled at her. They had been playing quidditch together for over an hour, and she says “hey” now?

“Hi Ginny,” he replied, shaking his head in puzzlement.

“Practice went well today,” she continued.

“Yeah, we’re finally getting to a standard I’m happy with,” Ron grinned, proud of his team.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” she asked, suddenly.

“We are talking, Gin,” he laughed.

“Right. But I mean about something other than Quidditch?”

“Fire away,” Ron smiled at her, strapping the last bludger into place in the Quidditch chest.

“It’s about Hermione,” she began.

Ron froze, and turned to look at her, carefully controlling his expression.

“What about her? Is she ok?” he asked, moving to sit next to Ginny.

“Oh she’s fine. It’s nothing like that.”

Ron breathed a small sigh of relief, then frowned.

“Then what’s this about?” he asked.

Ginny took a deep breath, then turned to face Ron, careful to look casual.

“What’s going on with you two?”

Ron’s cheeks flushed, but he remained composed.

“What do you mean?”

“The other day in the common room. I thought I saw a ‘moment’ there,” she said, smiling as though she were gently teasing him.

“Me and Hermione?” he snorted with laughter, “I don’t think so!”

“Are you sure? Because something strange is going on…” she raised an eyebrow.

“Is it really, little sister?”

“Yes. Call it a woman’s intuition,” she smiled.

“Well this time your ‘intuition’ has gone awry, because me and Hermione are just friends,” he said emphatically, desperately trying to will the colour from his cheeks.

“No Ron, you and Harry are ‘just friends’. You and Hermione, well that’s a whole other kettle of fish!”

Ron laughed at the phrase; she sounded just like their mother.

“You’re jumping to conclusions, Gin. Honestly, there is nothing between me and Hermione.”

Ginny frowned as she scrutinised his expression.

“I don’t believe you, Ronald Weasley,” she decided, crossing her arms and looking strict.

Ron groaned. He had to persuade Ginny that she was wrong. He knew that if she convinced herself that she was on to something, she would tell Hermione straight away. Ron couldn’t face Hermione knowing the truth. Suddenly, an idea struck him, and he knew how to convince his sister.

“Look Gin, I don’t see Hermione in that way. Maybe once, in fourth year or something, I may have fooled myself into thinking there was something else there, but I was wrong. And anyway, I can’t like Hermione, because I like someone else,” he finished triumphantly, before frantically searching his brain for someone to like.

Ginny’s eyes widened.

“Really? Who? Come on Ron, you have to tell me now!” she protested.

Ron stood up and grinned. His plan was working.

“Sorry Gin, no can do. That’s private information. I’m not telling anyone until I tell her.”

And with that, he strode off towards the castle, a satisfied smile on his face, with no idea of what he had just inadvertently done.

*****
The truth will out by H Cooper
A/N: I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to all my loyal readers and reviewers, and an uber-thank you to my dear friend 'harryandthepotters', who has been nothing but supportive.

Disclaimer: Characters and places all belong to J.K.Rowling.

*****

Ron lay awake with his arms crossed behind his head, feeling decidedly more relaxed than usual. For the past couple of weeks, Hermione had been acting very strangely: spending less time in the common room and refusing to come out with them. Ron had just about convinced himself that she was avoiding him, but today she seemed to be almost back to normal. He didn’t know what had happened to make her change back: perhaps she had finally spent enough time sitting alone in the library. Whatever had happened though, Ron didn’t care. All that mattered was that Hermione had started up a conversation with him today, and it hadn’t been tense, or full of uncomfortable silences.

He let out a sigh and let himself relax into the beginnings of sleep. Tomorrow would be Saturday, and as it was the first Saturday of the month it would be a Hogsmeade day. There would be no mention of exams, just warm butterbeer and a day out with his best friends.

*****

“What do you mean, you’re not coming?”

“Exactly that. I’m not coming today. I still have some work to do,” Hermione spoke calmly, trying to ignore the look of disappointment on Ron’s face.

“But you have all next week to work! Come on Hermione, we haven’t had time for just the three of us in ages!”

Hermione felt a pang of guilt, but pushed it aside.

“I know Ron, and I’m really sorry, but I’ve made other plans.”

At this, Harry looked up and frowned.

“I thought you said you were working?”

“Yes. Those are my plans,” she hastened, “to work, that is.”

“Right. Well, you know I’d rather you came with us Hermione, but if you really have to work then I’m not going to stop you,” he said resignedly.

“Thanks Harry. It is really important.”

“But Hermione! Today was going to be so much fun,” Ron moaned, downcast.

“You can still have fun with Harry. Besides, it’s not like we can’t hang out here when you get back,” she smiled.

“Fine,” he gave in. Ron didn’t want her to become distant again, and she was right: they would still have the afternoon to talk.

“Have a nice day, then,” she said, as they got up to leave the common room.

“Yeah, you too Hermione,” Harry smiled, and they both walked out through the portrait hole.

*****

Ginny Weasley was sitting in the Three Broomsticks with a group of sixth year Gryffindors, when she overheard something at the table next to them that drew her attention away from her friends. Sitting at the corner-table by the fireplace were Terry Boot and Anthony Goldstein, and their conversation caught her attention.

“No, Michael couldn’t come today,” Anthony was saying.

“Why not?”

“Isn’t it obvious? He’s with her again, isn’t he?”

At this, Ginny paid even closer attention. She was happy enough without Michael Corner in her life, but she was always interested in the latest gossip.

“Honestly. Spending all that time at the ‘library’. Who do they think they’re kidding? I know she’s a little bookworm, but Michael’s not exactly the studious type. I’ve a fair idea of what they’ve been doing during those hours of ‘revision’,” Terry laughed sleazily.

“I know. Who’d have thought it, eh? Hermione Granger’s obviously not as composed as she seems!”

At this they both burst into raucous laughter, but Ginny had heard enough. Standing up abruptly, she made her excuses to her friends and headed back towards the castle.

*****

When she returned to Hogwarts, she did not have to look far before she found them. The school was almost entirely deserted, and there, sitting at the far end of the Great Hall with their shoulders pressed together, were Hermione and Michael. They didn’t see her as she entered the hall, and as she walked towards them Michael said something which made Hermione laugh girlishly.

When she was about ten feet away they noticed her, and although she went bright red, Hermione pulled Michael back when he tried to spring away from her.

“Hermione,” Ginny said, rather coldly.

“Hello Ginny. You’re back early,” Hermione replied, her voice steady.

“Well I heard something that I thought I should check out,” she said, one eyebrow raised.

At this Michael unfroze.

“Anthony…I’ll kill him,” he muttered violently.

“So this is work, is it?” Ginny enquired.

“Actually, we were just taking a break,” Hermione answered calmly.

“I can see that.”

There was a moment of tense silence, which Ginny then broke, unleashing her anger.

“Well this is certainly a surprise, Hermione. I come back to find you’re conducting a secret affair with my ex-boyfriend!”

“Ginny, you broke up with me. It’s not like I ever did anything to hurt you!” Michael stood up, facing her across the table.

“It’s alright, Michael,” Hermione murmured, putting a hand on his sleeve. “Why don’t you leave me and Ginny to talk, ok?”

Michael looked at Hermione’s resolute expression, and sighed.

“Alright Hermione. I’ll catch up with you later.”

He threw a last glance towards Ginny, and then walked out of the hall.

When he had walked out through the doors, Hermione turned back to Ginny.

“I’m sorry if this upset you Ginny, but I didn’t realise that you wouldn’t want me to date him.”

Ginny groaned in frustration and slumped down into the seat opposite her.

“It’s not about that, Hermione, surely you didn’t think I’d stop you from seeing him?”

Hermione looked confused.

“Then what is the problem, Ginny?”

“You want just one?” Ginny asked, her anger returning. “How about you’ve been lying to me, never mind Harry and Ron? Or maybe that you didn’t think to ask whether I would mind if you went out with Michael? Ok, I wouldn’t have cared, but it would have been nice to know that you would consider my feelings first! Or perhaps - and this is really what gets to me Hermione - perhaps it’s that you’ve just brushed Ron aside, you’re just over him like that,” she motioned angrily.

Hermione, who had been listening patiently, now frowned at her.

“And what makes you so sure of that, Ginny? You always jump to these stupid conclusions! Why are you so convinced that I was completely in love with your brother?” she finished angrily.

Ginny, however, groaned in frustration.

“Because you were, Hermione!” she said, the anger leaving her voice. Now she seemed more sad than furious.

“I know you were, and I know he was too, and you’re both just so useless when it comes to each other!”

“How can you say that? You know what he told you, it’s not like it was a long time ago. Surely, Ginny, surely if he’d felt something he would have said so? Rather than endlessly denying it, over and over,” she trailed off, trying to control her voice.

“But what if he’s just too shy?” Ginny asked, desperately.

“And how likely is that? Look Ginny, it may not be all passion and fireworks with Michael, but I really like him and, if it’s not going to hurt you, I’m going to carry on seeing him. Ron’s opinion…” she faltered, “well who says it counts, anyway? Maybe there was a time when I wanted something more from him, but it was never serious.”

Ginny opened her mouth to protest, but Hermione stood up and got ready to leave.

“I would really appreciate it if you would support me in this, Ginny. I don’t want to hurt you, but at the same time I really want this relationship with Michael to work.”

In reply, Ginny merely nodded and gave a small sigh. She knew she wouldn’t get through to Hermione in this stubborn mood, and she really didn’t mind about Michael. She watched as her friend walked slowly away, wishing her brother wasn’t such an idiot.

*****
Taking it badly by H Cooper
Disclaimer: None of the characters and places mentioned below are all miney mine. Much as I hate to admit it, they belong to J.K.Rowling.

*****

Harry and Ron were sitting in the great hall, eagerly munching their way through their large breakfasts. Glancing up, Ron noticed Hermione entering. Seeing her search the room with her eyes, he stood up from the table and began waving madly.

“Hermione! Hermione, we’re over here!”

Hermione wasn’t looking at him, however. She was staring fixedly at a spot on the other side of the hall. As Ron watched, he saw her give a slight shake of her head. Still trying to attract her attention, he glanced around to see who she was throwing such a worried look. What he saw made him freeze mid-wave. Striding purposefully towards Hermione was Michael Corner, smiling broadly. When he reached her he whispered in her ear and, though she still looked concerned, she let him slide his arm around her waist protectively and lead her away to the Ravenclaw table. Ron sank slowly down into his seat.

“What the hell…” he muttered to himself.

It was a few minutes before Harry noticed that Ron had stopped talking.

“Ron?”

He got no reply.

“Ron? Ron! Anybody in there?” he joked, waving his hand in front of Ron’s face.

In reply, Ron merely batted Harry’s hand away, and continued to stare morosely at the Ravenclaw table. Harry swivelled around in his seat, attempting to pinpoint the source of Ron’s fascination. When his eyes came to rest on Hermione, who by now had Michael’s arm draped casually across her shoulders, he drew a sharp intake of breath.

*****

When Ginny arrived at the table, she noticed Harry and her brother both staring, mouths agape, at the Ravenclaw table. Sitting down next to Ron, she looked over and realised who they were watching.

“Ah, so they’ve finally gone public then?” she asked, still with a hint of bitterness in her voice.

Ron rounded on her immediately.

“You knew about this?” he exclaimed.

Ginny’s eyes widened as she began to stammer, trying and failing to find an excuse. Finally, she sighed and spoke resignedly, “I’ve known for about a week.”

Harry, too, was now staring at her.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” he demanded angrily.

“It was really none of my business,” she replied, brows furrowed at their expressions.

“None of your business? Ginny, he’s your ex-boyfriend! She’s your friend! She’s our friend!” Ron said, not bothering to lower his voice. They were beginning to attract attention from the students sitting nearby.

“So?” she cried angrily. “It’s Hermione’s choice as to whether or not she tells people, and I only know because I found them together. I didn’t have the right to tell you their personal affairs.”

Harry snorted contemptuously.

“Affairs is right. So they’ve been seeing each other in secret? How cheesy,” he said bitterly.

Ron ignored Harry completely and continued to focus on his sister.

“Michael Corner doesn’t deserve any favours from anyone,” Ron exclaimed. “He acted like a complete twerp when he went out with you, running off with that Cho Chang! And as for Hermione, what right does she think she has to-”

“Don’t you dare!” Ginny cut him off, furious. “I’m actually with Hermione on this one, Ron. How can you possibly accuse her of doing something wrong? This is all your bloody fault anyway!” she finished, slamming her breakfast things down on the table and storming out of the hall.

Ron gaped after her, before turning to Harry.

My fault? How can this in any way be my fault?”

He suddenly became aware of the silence that resonated throughout the room. Glancing across to the Ravenclaw table, he saw Hermione staring at them with wide eyes, blushing furiously. The sight of her face caused him to scowl darkly, and he too pushed his way angrily out of the hall.

Harry was left sitting alone at the table as tentative whispers began to circulate. Sighing, and throwing a scornful look in Hermione’s direction, he followed after Ron and made his way towards the common room.

*****

Hermione entered the common room just minutes after Harry, looking red-faced and out of breath.

“Harry?” she pleaded, willing him to turn around and look at her.

“What, Hermione?” he asked wearily.

“I’m sorry,” she said, wishing she could wipe the look of disappointment from his face.

“What for? For lying to us all this time? Or for not trusting us enough to tell us?”

“For everything, Harry. You know I would have told you, but it was just so…it didn’t even feel real until recently.”

Harry snorted.

“I’m sure Michael didn’t feel that way.”

“No…” she muttered, “well I suppose you’re right. But I was going to tell you! It just never seemed like the right time…” she trailed off, glancing hopefully at him.

“Whatever you say, Hermione. Look, I don’t really want to talk about this now. I’m going outside to get some air, and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t follow me,” he said, avoiding her eyes and walking out of the common room.

Hermione hung her head and tried desperately not to cry. Suddenly, a voice broke the silence and made her jump. She hadn’t realised anyone else was in the room.

“Are you surprised that he’s pissed off?” Ron asked bitterly from behind her.

She spun around to look at him, her face falling when she saw the anger in his eyes.

“Ron “”

“Save it, Hermione. It’s a little late for excuses, don’t you think?”

“It’s not an excuse Ron, it’s what really happened,” she said, feeling irritation beginning to grip at her.

“Sure. ‘What really happened’. Would you like to know what I think really happened? I think you decided you weren’t getting enough attention so you threw yourself at Michael Corner, my little sister’s ex-boyfriend. I think you decided you were too high and mighty to be mixing with Harry and me, so you lied to us and snuck off with that stupid idiot. And I think you didn’t tell us about it, because you’re too bloody embarrassed that you’re second to Ginny in something.”

Hermione was furious. She wasn’t going to apologise now, not when he was being such a prat.

“That’s what you think happened?” she yelled. “Well then you’re obviously far more stupid than I thought you were!”

“Oh great, Hermione, what a fantastic way to apologise!”

“Why the hell should I apologise to you? You ridiculous, childish little brat!”

“Hermione, this is not being childish! This is seeing the mistake that you are too flipping conceited to notice you’re making!”

“Mistake? What, Ron, you don’t like it that I’m finally happy?”

“Happy?!” he cried, laughing bitterly. “You’ll never be happy with that prick! Why can’t you see what an idiot you’re being going out with him?”

Hermione let out an angry groan.

“Why is my going out with Michael such a huge mistake in your eyes, Ron?”

“Because it is a mistake, why can’t you understand that?” he yelled, frustration sweeping over him in waves.

“Really, Ron? Well what can you say to convince me, huh?” she cried, a strange look in her eyes that Ron was too angry to notice. “Why don’t you do something to convince me?”

She stood there, breathing heavily, with her fists clenched by her sides. When Ron showed no signs of responding, she turned and ran out of the dormitory, angry tears running down her cheeks.

“Damnit!” Ron shouted at no one in particular, when she had gone, slamming his hand against the desk. “Why don’t I?”

*****
The aftermath by H Cooper
Disclaimer: For those of you who aren't the sharpest tools in the box, the characters and places belong to J.K.Rowling, not me.

*****

“Ok idiot boy, what did you do to Hermione?”

Ron gave a start and looked up to see Ginny standing in front of him.

“What do you mean?”

“Well you must have done something to her, because she’s sitting in the girls’ toilets refusing to come out. Bit of a flash-back for you, I’d imagine.”

“Yeah? And what am I supposed to do about it?” Ron said petulantly. “Ow!” he cried out, rubbing the back of his head. “There was no need to smack me!”

“You’re such a fool! Why are you kicking up a fuss over this Michael thing?”

“Ginny, of all people I would have thought you would understand. He’s your -”

“Ex-boyfriend. I know. But honestly Ron, if I can get over that then why can’t you?”

“It’s not just that, though,” he sighed.

“Then what else is it? If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were jealous, but that can’t be it, can it? Because you ‘like someone else’,” she said, eyebrow raised meaningfully.

“Well obviously it’s not about that.”

“Then get over your bloody pride and go apologise! I can’t believe you don’t care that she’s out there sobbing because you were horrible to her!”

“Gin, of course I care. It’s just I know she’s making a huge mistake,” he groaned.

“Be that as it may, if it is a mistake, that’s up to her to discover for herself. You just have to bite your tongue, swallow any feelings that might be getting in the way “”

“Ginny…” he cut in, threateningly.

“- and just get over yourself. She’s one of your best friends, Ron; you don’t want to lose her over something as stupid as your pride.”

Ron opened his mouth to protest, but then changed his mind. She was right, again.

“Fine. I suppose you’re right.”

“I always am,” she smiled. “Don’t you think this means I’ve forgiven you, though,” she said, but when Ron looked at her she was grinning.

“Thanks Gin.”

“That’s alright. It’s a sister’s duty to make sure her brother does the right thing.”

Ron smiled, and headed off towards the girls’ toilets.

*****

He stood awkwardly by the entrance to the girls’ toilets, unsure of what to do. Tentatively, he knocked on the door. There was no answer.

“Hermione? I know you’re in there. Can you please come out and talk to me?”

He got no reply. Pressing his ear against the door, Ron could hear muffled sniffs coming from within.

“Hermione, please come out here!”

Still, she didn’t come out.

“Hermione, if you don’t come out here I’m going to have to come in!” he threatened.

When there was still no reply, Ron felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. He couldn’t possibly march in to the girls’ toilets; there might be other girls in there! Just as he was about to give up and leave, he heard a loud sob from inside. Realising that he couldn’t leave her crying like that, Ron braced himself, and strode into the room.

He relaxed inwardly when he entered and there was only one cubicle occupied.

“Hermione?” he said cautiously, knocking on the cubicle door.

After a few minutes silence, he heard the sound of a lock being drawn back, and the door opened backwards revealing Hermione’s tear-stained face.

“If you have come here to yell at me again, Ronald Weasley, I’ll thank you to leave right now.”

“I haven’t come to yell,” Ron sighed.

“Good,” she replied, “because I think I’ve had about enough of that for one day.”

“I know. I’m sorry Hermione, I realise I may have overreacted a bit.”

He looked up and saw her raising an eyebrow at the phrase ‘a bit’.

“Fine. More than a bit. Maybe,” he grumbled.

She stared at him for a moment, and then her expression changed.

“Well I’m sorry too. I should have told you about Michael and I “” Ron winced slightly, but thankfully she didn’t notice, “- you should have known right from the start. But…I still don’t understand why you got so mad. You didn’t even seem to care that much that I hadn’t told you…” she trailed off, regarding him carefully.

“Yeah well, I was just being a bit of an idiot. I spoke to Ginny and she told me she was ok with the whole-,” he paused, motioning with his hands in an attempt to avoid saying the words, “-thing. It’s up to you who you date, Hermione, and I’m sorry I upset you,” he scratched his head in an awkward, fidgety way, which made her smile.

“Well, I suppose that’s not unusual. You being an idiot, that is,” she joked.

“Hey!” he protested.

“Just be glad I’m forgiving you, Ronald Weasley,” Hermione said, a tone of warning in her voice.

“I am. And I accept your apology. About not telling me, I mean. Although, for future reference, all of this could have been avoided if you’d just told me the truth from the start.”

“Don’t push it, Weasley,” she threatened, but she smiled as she did so. Suddenly, a stricken look crossed her face. “Ron! We’re missing charms!”

“Calm down, we’ve only missed ten minutes. Besides, you’re Flitwick’s favourite, and I’ll just ride along on your coattails!”

Laughing, they left the toilets, Hermione dragging Ron along behind her.

*****

When Ron and Hermione arrived at their Charms lesson, Harry was already sitting at a desk by the window, staring out into space whilst everyone else copied out notes.

“Mr Weasley, Miss Granger, how nice of you to join us,” Professor Flitwick said, raising an eyebrow at their red faces and heavy panting.

“Sorry Professor,” Ron mumbled, “our patrol ran over because of an incident with some third years.”

Though Flitwick looked sceptical, he glanced at Hermione who nodded in assent, and sighed.

“Well, if that is the case then I will let it go this time. But I want you to catch up on the charm you have missed for homework. Please, sit down and copy up your classmates’ notes,” he said resignedly.

Ron moved to sit next to Harry, but Hermione stopped him.

“Ron, I need to talk to Harry. Do you mind?” she whispered.

“That’s ok. I’ll sit next to Seamus,” he said, reading the concern on Hermione’s face.

Hermione smiled, and moved across to Harry’s desk. Touching his arm gently, she said, “Harry? Are you alright?”

He regarded her for a moment, and then seemed to come to a decision.

“Yeah. Look Hermione, I’ll not say I’m particularly fond of Michael Corner, but if being with him is what you want,” he paused, watching her carefully, “well, then I’m happy for you. The only reason I got so mad before was because you didn’t tell me. You just went sneaking around with him behind our backs.”

Hermione sighed.

“I know I was acting strangely. I just thought you’d judge me for it and…well, I suppose by the time I wanted to tell you, I’d left it a bit too late.”

“Judge you? Don’t be ridiculous Hermione, if you’d just told me from the outset I would have been perfectly calm about it,” Harry protested.

Hermione laughed, causing a frown to cross his face.

“What’s so funny?” he asked.

“Oh come on Harry, you know how protective you get! I hardly think you would have been ‘perfectly calm about it’,” she smiled.

Harry opened his mouth to protest, but in the end he smiled back at her.

“Fine, you may have a point there. But all the same, just tell me next time, ok? Don’t leave me to find out by accident,” he said pointedly.

“I promise,” Hermione replied seriously, before adding, “Are we ok now?”

“Yeah. You know I can’t stay mad at you for long,” he grinned.

Hermione smiled as the relief swept over her. Slowly, they eased back into conversation and settled down for the remainder of the lesson.

*****
That evening, Ron and Hermione were sitting in the common room, discussing Christmas plans.

“Actually, I’m going home this year,” Ron was saying.

“Really? I had assumed that you would be staying here to keep Harry company,” Hermione replied, surprised.

“Oh Harry will be fine, he’s coming home with me.”

“Oh…” she said as she struggled to hold back her jealousy, “that’s nice.”

Ron grinned as he saw the look on Hermione’s face.

“Now, there was something I was meant to ask you…” he muttered, “but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was…” Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Ron saw the effect his teasing was having on her.

“Oh, now I remember! Do you want to come and stay with us over Christmas, Hermione?” he asked casually.

“Ron, that would be fantastic!” she grinned, enveloping him in a brief hug.

“Ah, it’s nothing really. Mum wanted a big family Christmas, and she said it wouldn’t be family without the two of you,” he smiled, a little embarrassed at the hug.

They began discussing their plans for the holiday, and just as Hermione was laughing at Ron’s suggestion of a Chudley Cannons themed Christmas, Harry strolled into the common room.

“Harry!” Hermione cried out, still struggling to maintain a straight face. “Where have you been? You disappeared after dinner.”

“What? Oh, Ginny just needed some help with her Defence Against the Dark Arts practical stuff,” he said, sinking down into a nearby chair.

“Hah! And she preaches to me about not getting help from Hermione!” Ron snorted.

Hermione was throwing Harry a very strange look.

“So that’s where you’ve been for the last three hours? Helping Ginny?” she asked.

“Yeah, why?”

“No reason. She must have needed a lot of practise, that’s all,” Hermione murmured.

Harry blushed slightly, reading her tone.

“She did. Evidently she’s not as good as we all thought,” he said emphatically.

“Well, I could have told you that,” Ron laughed, eager to show up his sister.

“Hmm,” Hermione murmured, throwing Harry one last quizzical look. Then, stretching, she said, “It’s actually quite late, I think I’m going to head on up to bed. Anyway, Ginny should be back soon.”

Harry glanced at her, frustrated by her mocking tone.

“Night, Hermione,” Ron yawned. “I think I’ll follow your lead. You coming up, Harry?”

“Hmm? Sure. Night, Hermione,” he added, throwing her a warning look.

“Goodnight,” she smiled sweetly and made her way upstairs.

*****

Ginny walked into the girls’ dormitory just as Hermione was getting into bed.

“Hi Ginny,” she smiled, “you’re late back.”

“I know. I was doing some work on my Defence Against the Dark Arts,” she said sleepily.

“Yes, I heard about that,” Hermione raised her eyebrow knowingly.

“What?” Ginny took in her friend’s expression.

“What’s going on, Ginny? You’re one of the best students in your Defence Against the Dark Arts class; surely you didn’t need Harry to help you for three hours?”

Ginny blushed furiously.

“That’s not true, I’ve been having some problems lately…” she broke off, seeing Hermione’s disbelieving face. “Ok fine. But I did need a little guidance, and what’s wrong with wanting to spend some time with a friend?”

Hermione’s eyebrows shot up.

“A friend? That’s what Harry is?” she questioned.

“Yes. I’m Harry’s friend, so really, he should be mine…” she trailed off.

“Ginny “”

“I’m going to bed now, Hermione. Maybe we could talk about this in the morning?”

Hermione looked at Ginny’s pleading expression, and sighed.

“Alright. But you’re not worming your way out of this one; we are going to talk about it.”

“I know. I promise,” Ginny smiled, and Hermione nodded before settling back in bed.

As Hermione drifted off to sleep, Ginny looked over at her. She supposed she had to talk to someone about it, and she did trust Hermione. Sighing, she began to get ready for bed, dreading the next morning.

*****
A lot can happen in a day by H Cooper
A/N: Ok, so this chapter veers away from focus a bit. But it fits into the story as a whole, so I'm hoping the moderator will be nice and not ask me to resubmit again. Sorry it's taken so long!

Disclaimer: All names and places used are property of J.K.Rowling.

*****

“You have to tell him.”

Ginny looked up, startled.

“What? Are you joking? I’m not going to tell him!”

Hermione sighed.

“Then what’s the point? He’s never going to work it out; you know he’s useless at that kind of thing.”

“But what would telling him achieve? I’m just his best friend’s little sister, and if I tell him, I won’t even be that,” she sighed heavily.

“It’s your decision Ginny, but if I were you I would take a chance,” Hermione pushed.

Ginny stared at Hermione and burst out laughing.

“What?”

She frowned as Ginny tried to calm herself down.

“What’s so funny?”

“The idea of you ever ‘taking a chance’,” Ginny giggled.

“Well thanks, Ginny. It’s nice to know you think so highly of me!”

“Oh, come on Hermione, don’t be like that,” she pleaded, smiling hopefully at her sulking friend.

“What’s so strange about the idea of me taking a chance with a boy I really…”

Ginny was staring at her with one eyebrow raised.

“Well ok…I can almost see your point. But do as I say, not as I do,” she said, wagging her finger authoritatively in Ginny’s direction.

“Like you said, it’s my decision,” Ginny said, throwing her friend a look that said “don’t even think about trying to push this”.

“Fine, fine,” Hermione muttered, before grinning mischievously at Ginny and saying, “I knew it, though. I knew it!”

Ginny groaned and pushed Hermione out of the room, in the direction of her classes.

*****

For the rest of that day, Ginny tried her best to avoid Hermione. This, however, was easier said than done. And sure enough, every time that she bumped into her friend, she was always with Harry. Then, for the entire duration of their conversation, Ginny would catch Hermione throwing her meaningful looks. No matter how many times she signalled to her friend to stop, Hermione refused to give in. Once, Harry caught Hermione mouthing “have you done it yet?” to her when she thought he wasn’t looking.

“Hermione, what on earth are you doing?” he laughed.

Ginny stared as Hermione searched for an answer, and evidently came back with nothing. Harry turned to look at Ginny, still grinning, though obviously more confused now.

“Ginny? What are you supposed to have ‘done’?” he asked. Ginny opened her mouth, but could not speak. Instead, she felt her cheeks grow hotter and hotter until she was certain her face was the same colour as her hair.

Evidently, Harry noticed her reaction. It certainly would have been hard for him not to.

“Ooh, are you plotting some kind of evil scheme? Oh dear Ginny, and I thought you were such a good girl,” he smiled.

She laughed weakly, and mumbled some excuse about getting to class. Throwing Hermione a dirty look, she left the corridor as quickly as possible.

*****

Ron collapsed down next to Hermione on the grass, exhausted. Hermione laughed at the expression on his face.

“Everything alright, Ron?” she smiled.

“I wish McGonagall would give us less homework,” he groaned.

“Well now Ronald, you know that could never happen. We do have “”

“-Very important exams coming up. Yes, I know Hermione! But all the same, I’ve got just about enough work, thank you very much.”

“If you’d just learn to organise your time better…” Hermione trailed off, stopping when she saw the look on Ron’s face. “Fine, I’ll be quiet. But you know what I think about it.”

“That it’s all my own fault,” Ron grinned.

“Precisely,” Hermione laughed. She settled back onto her elbows and they lay side by side, looking out onto the lake.

“So,” Ron smiled, glancing across at her, “are you looking forward to Christmas?”

“Of course! I love the festive season. And I think I’ve decided on the perfect gift for you, at last,” she said with mock-exasperation. Reaching down to her neck, Hermione delicately wound the chain of her locket between her fingers, running her thumb gently over the engraved surface. “I’m not sure how you’ll beat this, though,” she murmured thoughtfully.

Ron stared at her for a moment, watching her absent-mindedly play with his gift.

“You’re still wearing it,” he said, quietly.

Hermione turned to look at him, plainly surprised.

“Of course I am, Ron. It’s the most amazing thing anyone has ever given me.”

For what seemed to Ron like an eternity, they just stared at each other. Suddenly, a voice came from behind him and startled him out of his reverie.

“There you are! Not interrupting anything, am I?”

Michael Corner sat down cheerfully beside Hermione, slinging his arm protectively across her shoulders.

“No, not at all,” she smiled, turning her attention to him.

Ron looked away as Michael drew Hermione in towards him and kissed her heavily.

“Well, I’d better be going,” he said, struggling to make his voice sound normal.

“Ron, you don’t have to-”

“See you later, Hermione,” he interrupted, already getting to his feet.

“See you later…” she replied, and Ron failed to notice the note of disappointment in her voice.

*****

Ron, Harry and Ginny were sitting together in the Gryffindor common room, huddled around the fireplace. Harry was teaching Ginny how to succeed in Wizards’ Chess, something that Ron never had the patience for. Instead, he chose to settle himself in an armchair with the latest update from the official Chudley Cannons newsletter. He was trying very hard to block out all the noise in the room; having decided that concentrating was much easier when there was no one else around. He had already snapped at Ginny and Harry, and it had worked for all of two minutes, the noise levels quickly returning to full volume. Sighing loudly, and trying desperately to block out the sound of his sister’s giggles, Ron shifted in his seat. Finally, he threw down his magazine and got up from the armchair, turning to face Harry.

“I’ll be back soon, I’m just going to find Neville and ask to borrow his earplugs,” he said loudly.

“That’s nice, Ron,” Harry murmured, not really hearing him. Ginny didn’t even turn around.

“Right,” he sighed, marching off upstairs. He wasn’t actually going to borrow Neville’s earplugs, but he needed some time to himself, without the noise from downstairs.

“Let’s see how long it takes them to notice I’ve not come back,” he muttered to himself, sitting down on the bed and enjoying the peace and quiet.

*****

When Ron returned downstairs half an hour later, the atmosphere in the common room had changed entirely. The attention of everyone there was focused on Harry and Ginny, who were now standing a few feet apart, Ginny red in the face and shouting.

“Honestly Harry, I’ve come to accept that my brother is an unobservant fool, but I’d really expected more from you!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Ginny!” Harry cried desperately, his eyes pleading with her to calm down.

She threw him a look of utter disappointment and, in muted tones, replied, “Exactly. But I wish you did.”

And with that she turned on her heel and ran out of the common room, the sound of her sobs resonating back through the portrait hole.

Ron started forward, but Harry put out a hand to stop him.

“No Ron, I’ll go after her. Whatever’s wrong is my fault,” he sighed, and jogged off after Ginny.

Ron shook his head in amazement. Something big had obviously happened when he was upstairs, but he certainly wasn’t going to ask the second years about it. Slumping back down into his chair by the fire, he tried to return his focus to the Chudley Cannons newsletter.

*****

Almost an hour had passed and Ron had successfully read three lines of the article. He could not stop fidgeting and glancing at the clock, wondering what had upset Ginny so much. Eventually, he could take it no longer. Despite the fact that she could be a complete pain in the neck, Ginny was his little sister and he had to look after her.

Not really sure where he was going to search, Ron left the common room, turning corners in an aimless way, hoping to stumble across Ginny. After about ten minutes, he found himself walking down the corridor leading to the library. It was obviously closed as all the lights were out and the corridor itself was almost pitch black. He was about to turn around and leave, thinking that he could check the grounds, when he heard a faint noise that made him stop.

Peering into the black hallway, he could just make out the red gleam of Ginny’s hair. Breathing a sigh of relief, he moved more purposefully towards her. He stopped, however, when his eyes began to adjust to the darkness. He realised, with a jolt of shock, that his sister was not alone.

Ginny was pushed up against a wall, and was heavily involved in what looked like a passionate clinch.

Ron clenched his fists as a powerful rage swept over him, and without thinking, he strode forward, yelling, “GET YOUR BLOODY HANDS OFF MY SISTER!”

The couple broke apart, and Ron felt as though he’d just been punched in the chest when he realised who Ginny’s partner was.

“Harry?” he asked, his voice now barely audible.

Before either of them could speak, Ron turned around and ran as fast as he could away from the corridor, refusing to take in what had just happened.

*****
Confrontation by H Cooper
A/N: Ok, this is taking much longer than expected because of massive queues and OOCness that I had to fix. Yes, I know it's still slightly off-focus, but I promise I'll get back to Ron/Hermione goodness in the next chapter!

Disclaimer: Obviously, all characters and general important stuff belong to J.K.Rowling.

*****

For the next week, Ron did everything within his power to avoid Harry and Ginny. He would hurry to his classes to ensure that he secured a place next to Neville, Seamus or Dean, and would heavily involve himself in conversation when he noticed Harry come in through the door. He took his lunch outside and sat in secluded spots where he could not be seen from the castle, and made sure that he was always in bed, pretending to be asleep, when Harry entered the dormitory. Though part of him fought against it, Ron also tried to avoid Hermione, not wanting to discuss what he had been witness to with anyone. However, Hermione did not give up easily and cornered him at breakfast, demanding to know what was going on.

“What on earth is wrong with you?” she fumed.

“Hermione, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he muttered, trying to edge past her and make a speedy getaway.

“Oh yes you do, Ronald Weasley. You have been flat out ignoring me and Harry for the last week, and I want to know why!”

Ron stared at her defiantly for a moment, but crumbled under her demanding glare.

“Fine,” he mumbled, “but keep your voice down. Let’s go outside.”

They sat together in the deserted courtyard, listening to the larks twittering in the trees nearby. Ron sank his head into his hands and sighed heavily.

When it became apparent that he wasn’t going to speak, Hermione repeated her question.

“Well? Are you going to tell me what’s going on? Why have you been getting up at six thirty in the morning “ when God knows you are the laziest person I know “ just to have your breakfast alone? And why have you suddenly become so pally with Neville during classes?”

She stared at him intently, waiting for an answer that took a long time to come.

“Look, Hermione…it’s complicated…”

“Oh no, Ron, you are not using that tired line. You’ve been avoiding me and I think I have a right to know why,” she said angrily.

Ron glanced up worriedly, realising that he had offended her.

“I wasn’t intentionally avoiding you, Hermione,” he started, but was halted by the incredulous look on her face. “Fine, maybe I was. But not because of something you’ve done…I just didn’t want to talk about it,” he muttered.

Hermione’s expression softened when she saw his frown.

“Talk about what, Ron?” she asked, gently.

It took a while for him to reply, as he struggled with bringing the memory back so vividly, even if it meant releasing some of the weight from his shoulders.

“About…Ginny,” he managed.

“Ginny? But what could Ginny have done to upset you this much?”

“It wasn’t just her,” he said through gritted teeth.

“But what…oh,” Hermione suddenly realised what must have happened.

Ron looked up sharply.

“You sound like you know something,” he said, watching her cheeks redden.

“I-I made her talk to me,” she said, searching his face for signs of anger. Though there was a moment when she thought he might lash out at her, his expression fell and he just looked dejected.

“So I’m the idiot, then? Everyone else saw it coming?”

“What happened?”

“They were fighting, and Ginny ran off. Harry said he’d go after her “ I thought he was just going to make sure she was alright! But it turns out he wanted to take advantage of her when she was upset, and use her for some…some…” he struggled to find the appropriate word but, words failing him, just trailed off with an angry groan.

Hermione looked taken aback.

“Ron, what exactly were they doing?” she asked, her voice conveying her shock.

He took in her expression, and almost laughed as he realised what meaning she had drawn from his words.

“Nothing like that, Hermione. Bloody hell, if it had been anything like that…” he tensed visibly. Returning to his train of thought, he spoke bitterly, “But you wouldn’t have been able to prise them apart with a crowbar, he was that attached to her face.”

Hermione breathed in sharply at his harsh words.

“But are you that upset, really?” she probed carefully, “I always thought if anyone would have your consent to be with Ginny, it would be Harry…”

“Are you joking, Hermione? Of course I’m upset! They’re not together, are they? There haven’t been any changes in their relationship recently to suggest that he actually cares about her. He’s just using her, Hermione. He practically molested my little sister,” he said, clenching his fists angrily.

Hermione could see the tension running through Ron’s body, but she refused to believe that Harry was capable of acting in such a way.

“Now that is going too far,” she protested. “How can you possibly accuse Harry of something like that? And for that matter, how do you know their relationship hasn’t changed? What if you just haven’t noticed it changing? You’re certainly not known for your keen observation of other people’s feelings…” she said, but she muttered the last part quietly and Ron was too preoccupied to hear her.

“Don’t be so naïve, Hermione. You need to accept that the Harry we knew and trusted turned out to be just as sleazy as all those other apes who tried to put their slimy paws all over my sister.”

“I still think that you should talk to them before you go jumping to any conclusions,” she chided.

“I don’t want to talk to them Hermione, understand? Especially not Harry. But I can’t believe Ginny could be so stupid as to be taken in by that act! No, I don’t want to talk to either of them.”

He sank his head down into his hands and tried desperately to control his rising anger; he did not want to lash out at Hermione.

“Well,” she said, after a brief pause, “I don’t think you have any say in the matter.”

Raising his gaze to look at her, he saw two figures hovering nearby out of the corner of his eye. Turning around sharply, he recognised Harry and Ginny standing side by side. The sight of Harry incensed him, and he leapt to his feet without taking in their hands, which were clasped together tightly, or the protective way he stepped slightly in front of Ginny.

Striding forwards, Ron unleashed his anger, no longer trying to avoid his friend.

“You bastard!” he yelled, shoving Harry painfully hard in the chest. “You sleazy bastard! What gives you the right to use her as some kind of toy the minute I turn my back? You think you can just use her for your own enjoyment, break her heart, and get away with it?” He drew his arm back to smash his fist into Harry’s face, but Ginny, remembering how Malfoy had fared after one of Ron’s punches, leapt in front of him.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” she screamed, suddenly so much like his mother that Ron stumbled back a step. “You leave him alone!”

“Ginny, I’m doing what’s best for you! He’s just using you because he knows how much you care about him!”

“How would you know what’s best for me, Ron? Did you never stop for a minute to think that maybe I’ve been through those questions myself? That I wouldn’t do anything with him unless I thought he really wanted it too?”

Ron sighed heavily.

“But Gin, how can you know that? How can you just assume that he wants what you want?” he asked, throwing a dirty glare in Harry’s direction.

She shook her head in amazement.

“How can you just assume the worst? He’s been your best friend for over six years, Ron. Do you really think he’d do anything stupid to jeopardize that?”

She took a step backwards and Harry put his arms around her, making sure that he was staring right at Ron as he spoke.

“I’m not just using her, Ron,” he said slowly. “This isn’t just some teenage, lusty thing I did without considering the consequences. Yes, maybe I wasn’t going to act on any feelings I had for Ginny, but that was because of you, mate, not her. I thought I’d be betraying you.”

“Well that obviously mattered to you a lot, didn’t it?” Ron sneered. “You still went ahead and threw yourself on her.”

Harry sighed angrily.

“Would you give it a rest? Ginny was upset. She told me how confused she was about…well about me, I guess, and it was really getting to her. Honestly, I was just comforting her and…one thing led to another. I was going to ask you first, Ron, to check that you were ok with it. I swear that’s the honest truth. And I would have spoken to you straight after but you’ve been successfully avoiding me for the past week, haven’t you?”

Ron stood frozen to the spot.

“You really feel the same way about her?” he asked, after a long silence.

Harry just tightened his hold on Ginny, resting his cheek against her hair.

“I really do,” he replied seriously.

There was another silence as Ron mulled over what Harry had said, debating whether or not to believe him.

“Well then…and I suppose there’s not much I can do to stop you being together, is there?”

Harry grinned.

“But if you do anything, and I mean anything, to hurt her, your life will not be worth living, understand?” he threatened.

Harry laughed.

“I understand, Ron. I’ve seen your wrath, remember? I certainly don’t want that directed at me!”

Ron nodded brusquely, still not wanting to back down completely, as Harry disentangled himself from Ginny and stood in front of him, hand outstretched.

“Friends again?” he asked tentatively.

Ron regarded Ginny, who was gazing happily at his best friend. Sighing resignedly, and realising that nothing could stop his sister when she set her mind to something, he grasped Harry’s hand in his.

“Friends,” he replied carefully.

A squeal from behind him reminded them that Hermione was still there, and barely before he could turn around she had enveloped them both in an awkward bear hug.

Drawing back carefully, she said with a stern look on her face, “you two are not allowed to fight again this year. I’ve had quite enough drama, thank you very much!”

Laughing, the group turned and walked back inside, Harry’s arm resting protectively around Ginny’s waist.

*****
The party to end all parties by H Cooper
A/N: Just got back from my summer holiday in Turkey so have only just made the final tweaks on this chapter. Don't really know how close I am to finishing, but I suspect it won't be long now!

Disclaimer: Yada yada, none of the characters are mine, they all belong to J.K.Rowling, etc etc.

*****

“Harry, I really need to get a drink,” Hermione shouted, trying to make herself heard over the loud music.

It was the evening of Christmas Day, and the party at Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes was in full swing. The beginning of the Christmas holidays had passed by much as every other, as they set about decorating the Burrow and scouring shops for gifts. Unsurprisingly, there was still some underlying tension between Ron and Harry at the start of the holiday: if Harry and Ginny began acting like a couple, Ron would make his excuses and hastily leave the room. However, Hermione had noticed a marked change in his attitude over the last couple of days, and believed that Ron had finally accepted that his friend would not hurt Ginny.

Christmas Day had been busy, as all of the Weasley children returned home for the day. At first, Hermione did not appreciate Fleur being there, but as the day wore on and she spent more time with Bill’s fiancée, she realised that there was more to the witch than met the eye. They had shared some very interesting discussions about the differences between the French and English Ministry of Magic, and against her better judgement, Hermione was growing to like her.

Fred and George had rather sprung the idea of a party at their shop on the group, but Hermione was pleased they had, for it was giving everyone a much needed chance to relax and have a good time. Even Mrs Weasley was letting her hair down, as she allowed Mr Weasley to swing her happily around the dance floor.

Hermione, however, had been dancing very energetically with Harry for a while, and was feeling rather hot and flustered. Not wanting to deprive her friend of a good time, she gestured to the other side of the dance floor.

“Why don’t you go and dance with Ginny?”

She saw him glance nervously in Ron’s direction, hesitating visibly.

“Harry,” she said, placing a hand on his arm, “he’s really fine now. Go and dance!”

Harry paused, and then smiled.

“Alright, Hermione, I’ll see you in a bit,” he grinned, before heading off to the other side of the makeshift dance floor to where Ginny was standing, watching him with a half-smile.

Hermione watched happily as her friends moved out onto the floor, completely absorbed in each other. Locating the bar, she moved over to get something to drink. She debated with herself briefly as to whether to have another glass of champagne or just lemonade. Deciding that she could handle one more glass, Hermione opted for the champagne.

Glass in hand, she walked across to where Ron stood, watching the twins dancing their way around the room, leaving a trail of destruction in their wake.

“Hi, Ron,” she smiled.

When he didn’t turn around, she remembered how loud the music was and tried again, only this time, much louder. Ron turned around in surprise.

“Oh, hi Hermione! Great party isn’t it?” he beamed.

“Yes!” she shouted in reply, noting without too much surprise his slightly bedraggled appearance that suggested he had been sneaking drinks from the twins. Placing her half-empty glass on the buffet table, she asked, “Dance with me?”

Even in the semi-darkness she could see him flush.

“But Michael-”

“-Isn’t here,” she reminded him. “Now are you going to leave me to dance on my own?”

Ron hesitated, looking pained.

“Oh come on, Ron!” she laughed, “It’s Christmas! No one will care if you look like an idiot!”

Ron looked slightly affronted.

“Hey! I’ll have you know I’m an excellent dancer!” he shouted above the music.

“Really?” she asked, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the dance floor. “Then prove it!”

*****

Hermione wouldn’t have liked to admit it, but she was surprisingly impressed by Ron’s dancing skills. They weren’t on the dance floor for long, however, before the track changed to a slow number. Instinctively, Ron began to draw back towards the tables. But something possessed Hermione. She didn’t know if it was the larger-than-usual quantity of alcohol that she had consumed, or just the atmosphere of the party, but she reached out and grabbed Ron’s hand.

“Just where do you think you’re going?” she joked.

“I was just…I was going to get something to eat…” he trailed off, lamely.

“Oh no you don’t, this is my favourite song!” Hermione said, dragging him back to the dance floor.

Ron, feeling rather awkward, found himself with Hermione’s head on his shoulder and his arms around her waist, slowly rotating in a way that couldn’t really be deemed ‘dancing’. However, after a couple of minutes, he began to feel the effects of the cans of beer he had stolen off his brothers, and forgot all of his embarrassment.

Ron could not help but allow the wave of happiness to sweep over him, causing him to focus very hard on every part of his body that touched Hermione. His mind wandered to a dance floor that existed only in his mind, where he and Hermione were alone, and there was, in fact, no dancing going on. Carried away by his thoughts, and absorbed in the music (he could see why Hermione liked this song so much), Ron completely forgot that he was only dancing with his friend, and was surrounded by all of his family. Leaning down slightly, he pressed his mouth to the top of Hermione’s head, and kissed her gently.

He only became aware of what he had done when he noticed that Hermione had frozen; now staring at him in shock, arms by her sides.

“Hermione-” he began, but she had already started making a hasty exit from the room, leaving Ron with the image of her face: not happy, but stunned. He didn’t realise that Fred was standing next to him until he heard a low whistle.

“Nice timing there, little brother. You do know she has a boyfriend?”

Ron merely glared angrily at him, before exiting the room, making sure he went in a different direction to Hermione.

*****

The next morning, Ron awoke with a pounding headache. He tried to sit up, but found that any kind of movement made his stomach lurch uncomfortably. With a groan, he rolled slowly onto his back and let the memory of the depressing events of last night return to him.

After he had left the dance floor, Ron had ended up in a small room in the back of the joke shop, hoping to get some time to himself. Instead, he stumbled across the unconscious form of Mundungus Fletcher, who was snoring loudly. He was about to back out of the room, but then noticed the large bottle of firewhisky that had rolled out of Mundungus’ hand and had settled by a large cardboard box. Deciding that his evening couldn’t possibly get worse, Ron had retreated into a dark corner, bottle in hand, to wipe the memories of the last few hours from his mind.

Straining to remember, Ron found that he had absolutely no recollection of how he had gotten back to the Burrow. Suddenly, there was a rather loud pop, and Charlie Weasley was sitting on the end of his bed.

“Charlie?” he muttered groggily, trying very hard not to move his head.

“I see you’re still suffering from the after-effects of last night’s little bout of underage binge drinking then?” Charlie said, with more than a hint of scorn in his voice.

Ron winced at Charlie’s words, not least because he couldn’t handle the volume.

“Quieter…please…” he begged, grasping his head in his hands.

“Oh shut up Ron, it’s your own fault you’re feeling disgusting. Maybe next time you can learn to pace yourself and I won’t have to find you passed out in a back room with Mundungus.”

Ron let out another groan.

“Charlie…I’m sorry. Just…please, let me sleep? I’ll make it up to you later…” he trailed off, sinking his head back into his pillow.

“Alright. Mum left a bowl by the bed in case you need it. Some of us are going out in a while “ try to eat something, would you?”

But Ron could only grunt in reply.

*****

Ron awoke again a couple of hours later, the pain in his head only slightly diminished. Glancing at the clock, he realised that he had overslept quite considerably, and that it was already the afternoon. Groaning with the effort, he struggled out of bed and crossed the room slowly, searching out a clean shirt and a pair of trousers with which he battled briefly before successfully getting them on.

Discovering that he was desperately thirsty, Ron carefully made his way downstairs, heading for the kitchen. Rubbing at his temples in an attempt to rid himself of the dull aching in his head, he moved across to the sink, not really paying attention to anything other than the way the entire room seemed to be throbbing. Deciding that he couldn’t spare the time to find a glass, he shoved his head directly under the flowing water from the tap and gulped down as much as he could in one go.

A quiet cough from behind him startled Ron so much that he jerked his head up, colliding painfully with the cabinet above the sink. Rubbing his already aching head, he turned around suspiciously to find Hermione sitting at the kitchen table, regarding him with apprehension.

When he realised that she was waiting for him to speak, he cleared his throat, and was surprised to find that his voice was, in fact, still working.

“Morning, Hermione,” he tried.

“Ron,” she nodded curtly, before turning her attention back to the thick volume in front of her, the redness of her cheeks the only thing that betrayed her discomfort.

“Look, about last night…” he began, unsure of how the sentence should finish.

“What about it?” she asked, dragging her eyes from the text and looking at him defiantly, evidently refusing to be the one to actually refer to what had happened.

“Well, I’m sorry if I was…you know…not really myself,” Ron struggled.

“I think that’s a bit of an understatement, don’t you? It took me ages to get the stains off my shoes,” she raised an eyebrow in amusement.

Ron closed his eyes in horror.

“Ok, I had forgotten about that,” he muttered.

“Oh really? Then what are you apologising for?”

When Ron opened his eyes to look at her, Hermione was watching him carefully, her face a mask that he could not read.

“For when we were on the dance floor,” he said hesitantly.

“What about it?” she asked, watching him squirm.

Ron stared at her. She was actually going to make him say it! Cursing inwardly, he tried to find a way to phrase it delicately. Drawing a blank, he sighed.

“For - for kissing you…” he said, defeated.

There was a long silence, during which he could not meet her eyes.

“I see. You’re apologising for kissing me?” she asked quietly.

“Yes! Look, I’m really sorry Hermione. I’d had far too much to drink “ honestly, I should have known not to drink anything Fred and George gave me “ and I guess I just went a bit crazy…” he rambled on, completely unaware of the look of hurt on Hermione’s face.

Hermione closed her eyes, breathing in deeply to steady her nerves. She hadn’t expected the conversation to go this way. Focusing in on Ron again, she heard him bring his speech to a close.

“…and I guess I’m just one of those people who do stupid things when they’re drunk. Forgive me?”

When she didn’t answer him, Ron forced himself to look at her. He was surprised to see that she was just staring at the wall behind him, an odd look on her face that he could not fathom.

“Hermione?”

She turned her gaze to him, and Ron began to get worried.

“Oh God. Look Hermione, I’m really, really, sorry. I honestly didn’t mean it. It meant nothing. Do you believe me?” he panicked, taking in her peculiar expression.

Hermione blinked, and seemed to realise that he was waiting for her to say something. Forcing a smile to her face, she replied, “Yes, I believe you. Don’t worry about it, Ron. It meant nothing.”

Ron was overcome with relief that Hermione wasn’t scared of him. Suddenly, the headache that he had temporarily forgotten when he saw her came hurtling back.

“Know any good cures for hangovers?” he asked, half laughing, half groaning.

“I can make you a muggle drink that helps sometimes,” she smiled. “Sit down and I’ll sort it out for you.”

Smiling gratefully, Ron eased himself down into a chair as Hermione made her way over to the cupboards. Leafing curiously through her book, he did not see her pause at the sink, closing her eyes and breathing in deeply to steady herself. A moment later she was back to normal, busying herself with ingredients.

*****
Revelations by H Cooper

Disclaimer: places and characters belong to J.K Rowling.

*****

It was approaching the end of February and Ron was sitting in the Gryffindor common room with Harry, contemplating whether or not to make a start on his transfiguration homework. He had just about decided that it would probably be a good idea to at least write an introduction, and was reaching forwards for his bag when Hermione and Ginny entered through the portrait hole. Something about the way they were walking with arms linked, and the expression on Hermione’s face, made him pause mid-reach. As he watched, they stopped by the staircase leading to the girls’ dormitory, where Ginny seemed to be comforting her friend, before embracing her briefly. Hermione sensed Ron’s curious gaze; turning to look at him she gave a small wave, and headed off up to the dormitory.

Ginny made her way over to them, sitting down comfortably next to Harry.

“Hi,” she greeted them brightly, kissing Harry on the cheek.

Ron dragged his eyes away from the staircase to regard his sister.

“What’s going on?”

“Great. I’m good Ron, thanks for asking,” she laughed.

“I’m being serious Ginny, what’s going on with you and Hermione?”

She watched him carefully for a minute, and then seemed to come to a decision. Sighing quietly, she said, “Hermione’s just broken up with Michael Corner.”

Ron fought hard to control the grin that was threatening to burst out across his face. He was vaguely aware of Harry asking, “Is she alright? What happened?”

Forcing himself to calm down, Ron focused on Ginny as she explained.

“She’ll be fine. She said she’d been thinking since Christmas that it wasn’t really working, and she felt guilty making him think otherwise.”

“So she broke up with him?” This time Ron could not suppress a smile.

Ginny turned her eyes to her brother, shooting him an icy look.

“Yes Ron, but that doesn’t mean she’s not upset about it.”

“Sorry, sorry…I know,” he mumbled guiltily.

“So hold on a minute,” Harry began, “he didn’t actually do anything to her, did he?”

Ron could tell Harry was trying to hold in his protective side just as much as he himself was trying to hold in his glee.

“No, he didn’t. She just didn’t feel comfortable in the relationship any more, in the last few weeks I think it’s been quite one-sided,” Ginny sighed. “I feel sorry for Michael.”

Ron laughed. “I don’t!”

Ginny glared at him. “You could at least try to feel some sympathy for him, Ron. If anyone knows what it’s like to be in his lovesick position, it’s you!”

Harry burst out laughing, while Ron turned a dark shade of beetroot.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” he fumed.

“Oh come on Ron, you’re not still trying to hide it?” Harry chuckled, delighting in his friend’s discomfort.

“I am not listening to this! I’m going to bed,” Ron grumbled, rising up from his seat and heading for the dormitory.

“Ron!” he heard Harry call out from behind him. “Oh come on, Ron. Don’t be such a baby!”

But Ron kept walking away, desperate to hide the red cheeks that gave him away completely.

*****

For a whole glorious week, Ron and Harry had Hermione back again. After one rather disastrously uncomfortable conversation, the boys decided to leave the issue of Michael in the past, as they seemed only capable of putting their feet in their mouths.

“So what happened with Michael?” Ron asked casually the morning after Ginny had dropped that particular bomb.

“I’d really rather not talk about it,” Hermione mumbled, lowering her head and taking far more interest than usual in her cornflakes.

“But, you are ok, right?” Harry asked cautiously.

“Mmhmm,” she nodded, not meeting his eyes.

“Because if you wanted, me and Harry could always…you know…sort him out for you,” Ron volunteered.

Hermione’s head snapped up immediately.

“Don’t be an idiot, Ron.”

“What? I was just trying to be “”

“Well don’t. Just leave Michael alone, will you?” she glared.

“So…was Ginny right when she said you broke up with him?” Harry ventured.

“Please can we not talk about this? I’d rather just go back to how things were, without Michael,” she frowned.

“But -”

“Harry!” she said, shooting him a warning look with her eyes.

There was an uncomfortable silence and Ron cleared his throat nervously, the sound of which appeared magnified by the deathly quiet.

“So…these eggs…” he said awkwardly.


That afternoon, Hermione acted as if the horribly tense conversation hadn’t ever happened; a pretence with which Ron and Harry were happy to play along. The three soon settled back into their comfortable routine, the only difference being that the boys would subtly steer Hermione away whenever they saw Michael nearby, for which she was silently grateful.

*****

One afternoon, after some severe pushing from Hermione, Ron found himself alone in the library, studying for his looming Potions test. He didn’t notice that Draco Malfoy had entered the room until he heard an instantly recognisable snort of derision coming from just above his right shoulder.

“Was there something you wanted, Malfoy?” he grumbled, trying to remain calm when the mere sight of the blond Slytherin made him want wipe the smirk off his face.

“No Weasley, I was just shocked to see you actually studying for once,” Draco replied coolly.

“Look, Malfoy,” Ron said through gritted teeth, “I just wanted to do some quiet, undisturbed revision, so I’d really appreciate it if you’d bugger off.”

Draco ignored him completely, continuing idly, “I suppose I’m just not used to seeing you without ‘the boy who lived’ or your little Mudblood. Tell me, are you shagging her yet?” He raised an eyebrow and smirked obnoxiously.

Ron’s face turned a dark shade of lobster.

“Shut up, ferret boy, unless you want me to break your nose again” he threatened, standing up swiftly so that they were now facing each other full on.

Draco, however, seemed to find Ron’s display of bravado hilarious.

“I see, so she won’t let you go that far? Just the odd fumble and grope in the halls?”

Instead of giving in to his temptation to punch him, Ron simply growled, “Hermione and I are just friends, Malfoy, and if you dare call her that filthy name again I swear I’ll “”

Draco interrupted Ron’s rant incredulously.

“What? You mean you haven’t even kissed her?” He laughed spitefully. “For God’s sake Weasley, isn’t it enough that I was forced to watch you two skipping around each other for six years? Now she dumps her boyfriend for you and you still insist in indulging in this stupid game?”

Ron’s mouth dropped open as he tried to take in what Malfoy was saying.

“Honestly, you might as well be a man and do something,” he was sneering. “Oh, but silly me, I forgot “ you’re not a man, are you Weasley? You’re a pathetic excuse for a wizard.”

And with that he swept out of the library, leaving Ron struggling to work out what on earth was going on.

*****

Harry looked up when Ron failed to reply. Smiling at the dazed expression on his friend’s face, he tried again.

“Hi, Ron.”

Slowly, and with obvious effort, Ron turned to look at him. After a moment’s pause, he seemed to realise that Harry had actually said something.

“Huh?”

“I said ‘hi’,” he laughed. “Are you ok?”

Ron shook his head, his mind a jumble of thoughts. After a moment, he looked at Harry and said, “You would never believe what ferret boy just said to me.”

“Malfoy? What did he say this time? That arrogant, jumped-up little tosser…did you punch him again? Please, God, say you punched him again!”

Ron gave a vague smile.

“No, ’fraid I didn’t. Almost wish I had, though.”

“Why? What did he say?” Harry looked concerned, and Ron could almost see the cogs ticking in his brain, eager to come up with some reason to beat Malfoy up.

Laughing nervously, he said, “He suggested that Hermione “ I dunno “ fancied me or something! He couldn’t understand why I wasn’t ‘shagging her’ yet. Isn’t that ridiculous?”

However when Ron scanned Harry’s face he did not find the incredulity he expected to see mirrored there. In fact, his friend burst out laughing.

“What? Why are you laughing?” The tips of Ron’s ears were beginning to turn a dark shade of pink.

“Well firstly,” said Harry, after he had composed himself somewhat, “the thought that Malfoy was actually giving you advice. Now that is possibly the strangest thing I have ever heard! But I’m mainly laughing because of how shocked you look at what he said!”

“Well…aren’t you shocked?” Ron asked, perplexed.

Harry just stared at him with open-mouthed disbelief.

“Am I shocked? No, Ron, of course I’m not bloody shocked!”

“What? Why not? I mean, the idea that me and Hermione “”

“Oh would you just stop lying, Ron?” Harry groaned, exasperated. “I know you like Hermione. Of course I know! I’m not a complete idiot.”

Ron gaped at him, stuttering wildly but unable to actually form a sentence.

“And anyone with half a brain cell would realise that she likes you too!”

“What?”

“Don’t be thick, Ron, you heard what I said.”

“But…but…”

“But nothing. God only knows how you haven’t noticed it for the last FOUR YEARS, though. I mean, come on mate, she broke up with her boyfriend because of you!”

“That’s not true. Ginny said she felt like it wasn’t working anymore!”

“Oh I wonder why,” Harry replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “We all saw you two at the Christmas party, Ron. And besides, that’s not what Ginny told me.”

“Why? What did Ginny tell you?”

Harry raised an eyebrow.

“What do you think she told me?”

Ron stared at his feet, shuffling in embarrassment.

“Well, I think I might know, but I don’t want to sound like an idiot…”

“Oh, bloody hell Ron!”

“Ok, ok! It’s just…I mean I never thought Hermione would even consider…I hoped, of course, but“” he stopped when he noticed Harry’s grin. “What?”

“So this is it then? You are finally admitting that you like Hermione? No excuses, no lies?”

There was a moment’s silence as Ron considered what he was about to say. Finally, he looked up and met Harry’s questioning gaze.

“Yup, I suppose it is.”

Harry beamed from ear to ear.

“Finally! Can’t believe it took you so long to tell me, though,” he scorned mockingly.

“Yeah…sorry about that. I just thought you’d be sort of strange about it,” Ron shrugged. “So…Hermione actually likes me?”

“That’s what I said, isn’t it?”

“Yes.”

Ron looked uncomfortable and, after an awkward silence where Harry watched him try and fail to speak, he finally managed to choke out, “So…now what?”

Shrugging helplessly, Harry said, “I suppose you’ll have to tell her.”

“Right,” Ron replied, attempting to sound confident. “How exactly do I do that, then?”

*****

Hermione jumped when she heard someone clear their throat right behind her. Spinning around, she saw Ron standing by her chair, looking even more awkward than usual.

“Hello Ron,” she said, smiling.

“Can we, umm, can I talk to you?” he asked, his cheeks turning tomato red.

“I had presumed that that was what we were doing,” Hermione laughed.

“No, I meant, would you come and walk with me, or something?”

“What’s the matter? Why can’t we talk here?” she replied, becoming gradually more concerned.

“It’s sort of…private,” he muttered, speaking so quietly that she had to crane her neck forward to hear him.

“Well it’s quite late, Ron, we shouldn’t really be wandering in the corridors.”

He gave out a groan of frustration.

“Always with the bloody rules, Hermione! Well then, can we go to the boys’ dorm? The others aren’t back yet, and I really need to talk to you.”

Taking in the look on his face, she closed her book and stood up.

“Fine.”

For some reason unfathomable to Hermione, Ron suddenly looked terrified.

“Well? Shall we go then?”

Nodding dumbly, he led her up the stairs to the dormitory. Closing the door behind him, Ron watched as Hermione sat down on his bed and regarded him curiously.

“So?” she asked expectantly.

“Hermione, is there anything you want to tell me?”

*****
Fin by H Cooper
A/N: Ok, final chapter. Hope this comes off ok, and isn't too corny towards the end. It's been fun writing this, and I hope you all enjoyed reading it! Thanks again for your support guys. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don't own these characters. J.K.Rowling does. Obviously.

*****

Ron turned away from her and pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes, desperately willing himself to calm down. Hermione was standing across the room from him with a face like thunder. They had been fighting for the last half hour, and he still couldn’t work out how it had started. This wasn’t how he had pictured this particular conversation turning out at all. The only thing he knew at that precise moment, though, was that he was furious.

“WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH YOU?” she screamed at his back.

Ron spun around to face her, his expression every bit as wild as hers. Gesticulating madly, he spluttered and fumed, unable to communicate what he was feeling.

“Yes, that would be right! Can’t even come up with a good reason as to why you’re being such a BLOODY PRAT!”

“I just can’t believe that super Hermione hasn’t worked it out for herself yet! So clever with your books, aren’t you? So perfect. Well if you’re that bloody perfect why can’t you work this out? WHY CAN’T YOU TELL WHAT’S WRONG?”

“I’m supposed to guess? That’s great Ron! That’s just great! How am I supposed to guess how you feel when you’re always so secretive? Every time I think I’m close to understanding, you clam up and change again! I just want to know what’s going on with you…why are you being like this?”

Hermione looked frustrated, but some of the anger had left her voice and now Ron could see how upset she was.

“Yeah well. I was counting on you being able to see what’s right in front of you,” he grumbled.

Hermione let out a groan.

“I don’t understand what’s come over you! You drag me up here, get me all worried with your “we need to talk” nonsense, and then refuse to tell me what’s going on. Why do we keep doing this? Why are you being so unbelievably difficult?”

His anger evaporated at the look of desperation on her face, and he rapidly thought back over the events of the past half hour. Ron still couldn’t understand how it had escalated this much, but realised with a sinking feeling that he had gone about it in completely the wrong way. He was so scared of admitting what he felt that he had put pressure on Hermione, which had done nothing but confuse and frustrate her. Sighing heavily, he tried to come up with a way to relate what was going on in his head to her. He couldn’t fathom how a few words could possibly explain everything that he had felt and done over the last four years. It had gone past the point where this would ever be easy or logical. Ron was beyond nervous; he was terrified that unleashing the words would mean an end to his friendship with Hermione. With a sickening feeling, he realised that there was only one way he could do this.

“Hermione…I…” he sighed, pausing to draw out what he was convinced would be the last conversation they would ever have, “look, I’m useless with words…”

Before he could stop to reconsider what he was doing, Ron leaned forwards and pressed his lips to hers clumsily. His mind was in such a whirlwind of confusion that he didn’t even stop to enjoy the moment. As he pulled away all he could see was the look of shock on her face, and his heart plummeted.

“Right…well.”

And with that he turned away from her and left the dormitory, walking quickly down the spiral staircase and into the common room.

“Hi Ron! I’ve been meaning to ask you something“” Ron pushed Neville out of his way and barged out into the hallway.

Harry shot a curious glance in his direction, quietly wondering what had gotten his knickers in a twist. However, when Hermione emerged at the bottom of the staircase leading to the boys’ dormitory, he decided that actually, he didn’t want to find out. He watched from his chair by the fire as she stood fidgeting, looking bewildered. It was unusual, he thought, that she didn’t appear angry. Usually after one of their fights, Hermione would let off steam by telling Harry precisely how irresponsible or immature Ron’s behaviour was. Now, however, she seemed to be deliberating over something. Finally she turned, almost hesitantly, towards the portrait hole, and walked out of the common room.

Harry shook his head and looked at Ginny, who was sitting cross-legged on the floor doing her homework.

“Something very strange his going on,” he said, before turning his attention back to the Defence against the Dark Arts essay he had been set.

*****

Ron didn’t stop walking until he was a good five hundred metres away from the Gryffindor common room. There he groaned and fell back against the wall, giving a sharp kick to the statue of a wizened looking goblin standing next to him. Ron slid down onto the floor and rested his head in his hands, feeling dejected.

He’d been an idiot. He had ruined any chance of finishing the year in relative peace and happiness with his two best friends, because if Hermione didn’t hate him now she certainly wouldn’t want to be around him too long, in case he tried it again.

He pressed the heels of his hands against his eyes so hard that he could see stars. All he wanted was for this to have not happened. It didn’t seem too much to ask. Maybe if he sat here long enough, he would wake up and realise that this had all been a horrible dream.

Thinking back over the evening, Ron came to the conclusion that none of this was actually his fault. If it hadn’t been for Malfoy putting ideas in his head in the first place, this wouldn’t be happening. And why did Harry push him into this? He felt a rush of anger towards his best friend for forcing him into doing something which was, upon reflection, surely the most ill-fated idea of the last century.

He was too caught up in his thoughts to notice the sound of approaching footsteps, so when he felt a hand on his shoulder he nearly jumped out of his skin. Looking up, he found Hermione staring at him seriously.

“Ron, I think we need to talk, don’t you?”

All he could muster for a reply was a sigh. He took hold of her outstretched hand and heaved himself up off the floor.

“In here?” She directed him to an empty classroom nearby.

As he heard the door close, Ron hung his head. He was filled with dread about the impending end to their friendship.

*****

“Sometimes I don’t understand you, Ronald Weasley,” she sighed, regarding him with a baffled glance.

“Well I, uh…” he cleared his throat nervously. “I guess you understand a bit better now, don’t you?”

“Not really, Ron.”

He looked up at her in surprise, then found that any eye contact made his insides squirm, so he settled instead for staring at the stone floor.

“I mean honestly, you do something like that and then you run away? What am I supposed to think?”

“That I’m an idiot, I imagine…or a pervert or something…”

“Well then, it’s a good job that I’m a lot better at figuring you out than you think, isn’t it?”

Ron was taken completely by surprised when he felt Hermione’s hand under his chin, bringing his face level to hers so she could kiss him gently.

He stumbled back against the blackboard and stared at her.

“I suppose I’m not so good with words either,” she smiled nervously.

“Hermione…what are you doing?” Ron cried in confusion.

Hermione merely shook her head and raised an eyebrow.

“I’m kissing you, you fool.”

“But…what…I don’t understand!”

“Oh Lord,” she muttered, “I knew you were a bit slow, Ron, but I had no idea you were this stupid!”

“But…WHY?”

Hermione looked at him incredulously.

“I am kissing you, Ron,” she paused to rest a hand on his chest, “because I want to.”

And with that she pressed her lips to his in what was first a clumsy, then gradually more confident kiss. Ron gave up trying to understand and threw his arms around her, revelling in the moment.

*****

They stayed there for what felt, to Ron, like hours, but was in fact only minutes. He was just beginning to become more confident with the situation, when Hermione pulled away. Breathing heavily, but keeping her face close to his, she sighed.

“What is it?” he asked, carefully pushing aside a lock of hair that had fallen across her face.

“Ron…we have to tell Harry,” she said uncomfortably.

“Oh…hmm, I suppose you’re right.”

“You don’t sound too worried,” she said, looking at him in surprise.

“Lets just say I think Harry may have had an inkling that this was going to happen,” he smiled.

*****

Harry glanced up when he heard the portrait hole open, and watched as Ron and Hermione clambered back into the common room. They paused by the entrance for a moment, apparently deep in conversation, before Hermione headed off towards the girls’ dormitory. Harry grinned as Ron approached him.

“Honestly, Ron, what did she do to you this time? It looks like she’s attacked you!” he laughed, casting an amused eye over Ron’s ruffled exterior. When his gaze returned to his friend’s face, however, it was flushed bright red.

“Not attacked…exactly,” he mumbled, before hesitantly meeting Harry’s eye. “I, uh, talked to Hermione, Harry.”

“Yes, I’d sort of guessed that, Ron,” he laughed.

“No, I mean I talked to her…” he trailed off.

“Oh?” he said in confusion, then, as comprehension dawned on him, “oh…”

“Yeah…”

“So? Good news or bad news?” Harry asked.

“Oh, it’s good news,” Ron grinned, “it’s definitely good news.” He paused for a moment, looking seriously at Harry’s expression. “Is that ok with you?” he asked cautiously.

There was a moments silence as the two boys stared at each other, Ron tensely awaiting Harry’s answer.

Harry grinned broadly. “Are you an idiot? Of course it’s ok with me!”

Ron’s face broke into a grin to match Harry’s.

“Oh, that’s good. I didn’t really know what I’d do if you said no!”

Harry laughed, and Ron slumped down onto the sofa opposite him.

“So, tell me all about it,” he prompted, and the two friends settled back into their comfortable routine, safe in the knowledge that that, at least, wouldn’t be changing for a long time.

*****
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=7101