Mistletoe and Ginny by hattiepotter
Summary: Harry is looking forward to spending Christmas at The Burrow, but there's an unexpected present under the mistletoe which comes as a bit of a surprise... A lot of fluff, a little anger and copious amounts of happiness! Set in the trio's 6th year, Ginny's 5th.
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 11653 Read: 23262 Published: 12/20/04 Updated: 06/17/05

1. Just one of those days by hattiepotter

2. The Journey by hattiepotter

3. Mistletoe by hattiepotter

4. What a Christmas Present by hattiepotter

5. Footsie by hattiepotter

6. A New Leaf by hattiepotter

Just one of those days by hattiepotter
Just one of those days…

It was the end of Harry Potter’s sixth autumn term at Hogwarts, and he was looking forward to spending Christmas with his closest friends. Ron had asked him yesterday if he would like to go to The Burrow for Christmas, and he had gratefully accepted his offer. Hermione would be going too, of course, and Ron’s brothers Bill, Charlie, Fred and George would be joining them.

As Harry packed his trunk, he thought of The Burrow and wished that he was there already. He couldn’t wait to get there “ it beat Grimmauld Place any day.

“Come on, Harry,” said Ron, who had just appeared at the dormitory door. “Come and have some dinner.”

“Alright, I’ll be down in a sec,” replied Harry.

Ron left the doorway and Harry put his last few possessions in the trunk, making sure that it was securely fastened and finishing it off with a locking spell.

He didn’t rush to go down to dinner “ he wasn’t that hungry anyway “ and he ambled through the corridors and down the staircases alone.

“Harry!” called Hermione as he entered the Great Hall. “Come and sit down; we were starting to wonder where you were!”

He joined her, Ron and Ginny at the table and started to eat his sausages.

“All packed?” Ginny asked form her side of the table.

“Yup, just finished,” he told her.

“Good good. Are you looking forward to coming to The Burrow with us?”

“Definitely,” said Harry.

Ginny smiled happily and Harry smiled back.

Ron and Hermione were now in deep discussion about whether there should be an angel or a star on top of the Christmas tree.

“But it’s meant to be a star!” said Ron, who was turned in his seat to face Hermione.

“No it’s not,” she said, still facing forward and trying to sound as bossy as her usual self, but failing because she was enjoying herself too much.

“It is!” said Ron exasperatedly. “You can’t have an angel on top of the tree “ it’s just not right!”

“It symbolises the Angel Gabriel,” said Hermione, keeping her composure, unlike Ron. “Or have you completely forgotten the Christmas Story?”

“Yeah, well the star represents the one above the stable,” argued Ron.

Harry rolled his eyes at Ginny, who giggled, while Hermione and Ron got more and more argumentative, until Harry just had to stop them.

“Look, it probably depends on your family. Hermione, you think it should be an angel because that’s what your family do, and Ron thinks it should be a star because that’s what his family does. End of story.”

They had stopped arguing and were now staring at Harry in disbelief. He supposed it was because he normally let them bicker to their hearts’ content, but it had been starting to get on his nerves.

“Ok,” said Ron nervously, “I’m going to go and finish packing, “and he got up and left the hall.

“I’m going to go and help him,” said Hermione, and she too left her seat at the table.

“Well that was a first,” said Ginny after a long pause as they both watched Hermione catch up with Ron in the Entrance Hall.

“Yeah, well, someone’s got to stop them,” said Harry.

“I know, I just never thought it would be you.” She gave him another cheeky grin, then downed her goblet in one gulp and got up. “Well, I’m heading upstairs now. Coming?”

Harry, who had just finished his dinner, stood up.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

They made their way down the hall and up the marble staircase, Harry listening all the while as Ginny chatted animatedly about a particularly nasty encounter that she had had with Professor Snape earlier that day.

“So I told him that I had added the snake fillet after the moonstone, but he didn’t believe me and made me feed the potion to this girl’s toad. Well, of course, I had told a complete lie, and the toad turned a rather odd shade of grey. Anyway, now she isn’t speaking to me and neither are her friends, and Snape took ten points from Gryffindor for “telling tales”.

“Honestly Ginny,” said Harry, “when are you going to realise that Snape is on of the few people who can actually tell when your lying?”

She laughed, then proceeded to tell him about “the time when she had got one over on McGonagall”, and didn’t finish until they entered the Common Room five minutes later, still clutching their sides.

They sat down in their favourite armchairs and started to talk about Christmas.

“I’d love a new broom,” said Ginny. “Anything would be better than Ron’s Cleansweep, but I doubt I’ll ever get a new one of my own...”

Harry didn’t like to see the unhappy look on her face, but he’d just had an idea.

“Hey, you can have a go on my Firebolt if you like.”

Ginny’s face lit up.

“Really?”

Harry nodded.

“Wow, thanks Harry.”

She smiled at him again and seemed to have cheered up.

“And you can have a go on my Cleansweep!”

They laughed, and Harry spotted Ron and Hermione coming down the boys’ staircase. It looked as if they were arguing again.

“Honestly, Ron,” huffed Hermione haughtily, “you should concentrate in lessons. This is an important year!”

Ron pulled a face at her and she raised her eyebrows disapprovingly, but Harry was sure that he saw both of them smile to themselves when the other was looking away.

“You two look like you’re having fun,” said Ron, and Harry wasn’t sure whether he sounded resentful or pleased, but was pretty sure it was the latter when Ron smiled at him and Ginny, and took a seat next to them.

“I’ll sit on the floor then, shall I?” Hermione asked Ron, who had just taken the last free armchair.

“Oh, sorry,” he replied, jumping up quickly. “Go on.”

He gestured for her to sit down, but she only gaped at him in astonishment. It seemed to Harry as if she hadn’t really expected Ron to offer her his seat, and yet here he was, waiting for her to take it.

“Er, thanks,” she muttered, and she sat down as Ron stationed himself on the floor by her feet. Ginny raised her eyebrows at Harry and they smothered their laughter with their sleeves.

“What’s up with you two?” asked Ron suspiciously. “You’re acting awfully strange today.”

Harry didn’t answer straight away, because he wasn’t really sure what was up with him and Ginny, but he came to the conclusion that it was just one of those days when everything seems a lot more funny than it actually is.

“Oh, nothing,” he said. Ron didn’t look like he believed him, but he didn’t question him any further.

“So,” said Hermione. “Christmas holidays.”

“Ooo, good,” said Ginny. “I’m really glad you two are coming home with us.”

“Me too,” said Ron, looking at Hermione.

They sat in silence for a while, each consumed in their own thoughts, until Ron got up.

“I’m going to bed,” he announced.

“Ok, I’ll be up in a bit,” said Harry, and Ron ascended the staircase to their dormitory. Once he was out of earshot, Hermione turned to Harry and Ginny.

“Is he alright?” she asked.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked her, although he thought he knew.

“Well he’s just being a bit… weird, that’s all,” she answered.

“Same old Ron, then,” said Ginny.

Hermione smiled nervously.

“Don’t you see it though?” she continued. “Don’t you think he’s being a bit, well, odd?”

Harry glanced at Ginny and caught her eye for a moment, causing them to grin before they could stop themselves. It really was just one of those days.

“You mean around you?” asked Ginny, trying to keep her composure.

“Well, I don’t know really. I’m never there when he’s not around me, am I?”

“Good point,” said Ginny.

Harry was starting to feel as though this topic of conversation should be left to the girls.

“I’d love to stay and chat, but I think I’ll go up to bed,” he said, standing up.

“Oh,” said Hermione, looking slightly disappointed, “alright then.”

“Best leave it to the girls, eh Harry?” said Ginny, as thought she had read his thoughts.

He nodded and smiled at her.

“Night then,” they both said to him.

“Night,” and he went up the stairs to the dormitory.

Ron was already in bed with his hangings pulled shut when he got there, so Harry changed in silence and got into his bed without talking to him.

He started to think about going back to The Burrow tomorrow, and wondered what it would be like on a half-empty Hogwarts Express. He imagined the journey on the train, sitting in a compartment, with Ron, Hermione and Ginny, chatting and playing game after game of Wizards’ Chess. Then there was no Ron and Hermione, then no train, or chessboard, or anyone else… just Ginny… standing alone… in a doorway… smiling…


A/N: I hope you liked that chapter. I'm trying as hard as I can to get the next one finished , but it's not going all that quickly, so hold on for it!
Be sure to review if you liked it (or if you have some positive criticism!) and if you did then please read my other stories!
The Journey by hattiepotter
A/N: thanks to all the ppl who have read and/or reviewed so far!


The Journey

Harry woke the next morning to the sound of Ron crashing about with his trunk. He seemed to be having trouble fitting his pyjamas in.

“You do realise you could just enlarge the trunk?” Harry mumbled sleepily.

“I can only do it so it’s twice the size,” replied Ron. “I don’t want it that big.”

“Go and get Hermione to do it then,” said Harry.

“Oh alright, I suppose I’ll have to.” Ron didn’t seem too enthusiastic about having to ask Hermione to do something he couldn’t, but he left the trunk anyway and went to find her.

Harry slowly got out of bed, pulling on some jeans and a t-shirt in a sleepy daze, then clumsily going down to the Common Room. He collapsed in a chair, supposing that he would wait for Ron, who was now yelling up the girls’ staircase for Hermione. After about a minute, she came down the stairs, still in her pyjamas, and gave Ron one of her most condemning glares.

“What?” she said, her eyes shooting daggers at Ron.

“Oh, er, I was wondering if you could expand my trunk slightly…” he mumbled, not meeting her gaze.

“Well I shouldn’t really, not if you’re going to learn to do it yourself, but…” Ron looked up at her hopefully. “Oh, ok, but just to stop you whining. I’ll go and get my wand.”

“Thanks Hermione, you’re my best friend!” called Ron as she traipsed back up the stairs, waving her hand to tell him not to bother.

When she came back down a few minutes later, holding her wand, she marched up to the boys’ dormitory with Ron hurrying along behind her, looking slightly frightened, as though he thought that she might be about to turn his trunk into a Hungarian Horntail.

When the three of them went down to breakfast ten minutes later, they found Ginny, sitting alone at the Gryffindor table, staring glumly at her plate, while a group of girls in her year sat a bit away from her, whispering and out what was won, giggling. Harry, Ron and Hermione went to sit by her, hoping to find out what was wrong.

“Hey Ginny,” said Harry. “What’s up?”

She lifted her head to look at them.

“They still haven’t got over the whole toad thing.”

Ron and Hermione looked thoroughly confused, so Harry explained what had happened to Ginny in Potions yesterday.

“And you’re going to let them get at you?” asked Hermione when Harry had finished. “Ginny Weasley is down-in-the-dumps because a bunch of immature girls are gossiping about her?”

Ginny nodded ashamedly.

“Goodness me - I never thought I’d see the day,” said Hermione.

Ginny smiled and shrugged.

“Oh, I suppose you’re right,” she said. “I’m just being stupid.”

“Well, you’re being normal,” said Harry. “I know I’d be annoyed, but you normally stand up for yourself rather than letting people talk about you behind your back.”

“You know what?” said Ginny. “I think you’re right. This isn’t like me at all, and I’m going to end it right now.” And she got up and marched over to where the girls were sitting.

“Oh no,” muttered Ron. “They’re in for it now.”

“I know you’re talking about me, and I just came to say that I don’t care one bit,” said Ginny to the girls, her voice twice as loud as it had been a second ago. “Your stupid toad deserved what it got for being so God damn ugly, and as far as I’m concerned, it would be more useful if you hollowed it out and used it as a tea cosy, so you can stop talking about me, and go and find some other insignificant person who actually cares.”

By the end of this little rant, almost half the hall was watching, but Ginny just collected herself, called to Harry: “I’ll meet you guys back in the Common Room,” and left the Hall as they all stared in awe.

“Well, I guess that told them,” uttered Hermione.

* * *

A few hours later, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were sitting on the Hogwarts Express talking about the events of the morning.

“Let it be a lesson to us all,” said Ron. “Never get on the wrong side of Ginevra Weasley, or there’ll be hell to pay.”

They spent most of the journey playing games of Chess and Exploding Snap, finishing it all off with a rousing rendition of ‘God Rest Ye, Merry Hippogriffs’ in Sirius’ honour. By the time the train pulled into Kings Cross Station, they were all very much in the Christmas Spirit, and full of mince pies from the witch with the food trolley. Harry spotted Mrs Weasley straight away; she was standing by the archway on the platform with four other members of the Order, looking extremely happy and waving enthusiastically.

“Hello!” she cried, pulling them all into rib-cracking hugs.

“Mum! Please!” said Ginny, pushing her mother away embarrassedly. “People are watching!”

Kingsley Shacklebolt, Lupin, Moody and Tonks were also there, and Harry greeted them all cheerfully, as did his three friends.

“We’ve got a Ministry car,” Lupin told them. “Come on, let’s get through the barrier.”

They emerged between Platforms Nine and Ten and went to the large green vehicle which was parked outside the station. Harry noticed that a lot of the other Hogwarts children also had official-looking people with them, and he asked Lupin why this was.

“You can never be too careful these days, Harry,” he answered. “The Ministry have sent employees to escort the wizarding families home from the station, just like we’re doing.”

The drive to The Burrow took a while, but eventually they arrived and could get out of the car into the fresh air.

“Well,” said Tonks, “our job here is done. Goodbye, everyone.”

They all said their goodbyes to the members of the Order, then gathered their things and went inside.

“Wow “ I think Mum might’ve cleaned,” said Ginny, looking around in wonderment at the shining kitchen. The house was looking more perfect than Harry had ever seen it, and that was saying something.

“Right, Ron and Ginny set the table, Harry and Hermione go ahead and take your things upstairs,” said Mrs Weasley, who had just come inside, and was now bustling about with pots and pans by the stove.

Harry and Hermione took their trunks and started to drag them up the stairs. Harry took the other end of Hermione’s as well as his own, as she seemed to be having some difficulty lifting it. After five minutes, they were back downstairs with the others, who were now sitting at the table looking eager for their food, and when it finally arrived, nobody hesitated to tuck in.

The whole evening was a welcome occasion for all of them. Unfortunately, Mr Weasley and Ron’s brothers were out working for the Order, and never came home, but Harry had his three favourite friends there all the same, and they all enjoyed themselves immensely.


A/N: next chapter - really sweet little chapter about decorating!
Mistletoe by hattiepotter
Mistletoe

The week before Christmas passed with a frosty helping of weather, and many a cold night was spent in front of the roaring flames of the fire, wrapping presents and writing cards.

On the morning of Christmas Eve, Harry went downstairs to find Mrs Weasley and Ginny rummaging through a huge box, full of what looked like Christmas decorations.

“Ah, Harry, you’re up,” said Mrs Weasley, seeing him come in.

“What’s that?” asked Harry, pointing at the box.

“The Christmas Box!” said Ginny excitedly, pulling out a ring of silver tinsel and putting it on her head where it sparkled like a halo. “We’ve got to decorate the house for tomorrow!”

“Oh, right,” said Harry. “Do you want some help?”

“Ooh, you don’t want to be offering your services there, mate,” grumbled Ron, who had just reached the bottom of the stairs. Harry gave him a questioning look.

“They go crazy,” Ron continued. “All the glitter and the tinsel. Seriously, stay away.”

“Too bad, my charming brother, because you’ve already been assigned a task,” said Ginny brightly, as if she enjoyed annoying him.

“Oh no,” moaned Ron. “What is it?”

“Putting the lights up outside,” she replied with a cheeky glint in her eyes.

Ron scowled.

“Oh, don’t worry,” said Ginny mischievously. “I’ve already asked Hermione to help you, and she’s accepted.”

Ginny smiled in a would-be-charming sort of way, and Ron made a snatch for her tinsel-halo, but she nimbly ducked out of the way, avoiding his grasp.

“Where is Hermione?” Harry asked.

“I’m right here,” she said, coming over to them from the staircase. “Where are these lights, then?”

“Here they are,” said Mrs Weasley, pulling a red box from the depths of the decorations. “They might need waking up “ they have been hibernating for a year, after all.”

“What?” said Harry, thinking that he’d misheard her.

“They’re real fairies, Harry,” said Hermione haughtily. “You don’t still expect them to be on a wire with a plug still, do you?”

Harry thought that it was a bit unfair that he was expected to know that the fairy lights would actually be fairies, but he supposed that he had been a little foolish in imagining them as the electrical sort.

Hermione had taken the box, and was now proceeding to prod its inhabitants with her wand, and Harry could hear ungrateful little squeaks coming from inside it, as the fairies gradually awoke from their long sleep.

“Let’s go then, Ron,” Hermione whispered.

“Why are you whispering?” was all he said back.

“Fairies don’t like it if you speak too loudly,” she whispered. “Come on, let’s take them outside.”

Ron scowled again and followed her out of the kitchen door.

“So, what shall I do?” Harry asked.

“You can help me in here,” said Ginny.

“I’ll leave you to it,” said Mrs Weasley. “I’ve got to sort out upstairs before Bill and Charlie arrive.” And she departed up the stairs.

“Right, down to business,” said Ginny, as she continued to rummage in the box. “Ah, here we are.”

She took out some long, red ribbons and draped them around Harry’s shoulders.

“Well, that’s you done!” she said with a smirk.

Harry pulled it off as though it were contaminated and threw it back at her.

“Or we could use it to decorate the house!” he said, as she wrestled with him to try and get it back on. Harry noticed that she was surprisingly strong for such a petite young woman.

“Ok, ok! Take the other end.”

They hung the ribbons from the ceiling, so that they draped from corner to corner like festive streamers, then they stood back to admire their handy work.

“Lovely,” remarked Ginny, sounding just like her mother. She rifled through the box again, and pulled out a sprig of something green. “Ah “ mistletoe!”

Harry’s insides recoiled “ that stuff was dangerous. Ginny pinned it up in the doorway and looked up at it, smiling, then she turned to Harry with a sarcastically expectant grin on her face.

“Go on, be a gentleman,” she teased.

Harry hesitated, unsure of whether or not it would be weird if he kissed her, but she looked so pretty standing there in the doorway, smiling back at him, that he decided a little peck on the cheek couldn’t hurt anyone.

“Oh, if you insist,” he joked, reaching her and leaning in to kiss her cheek.

He found that it wasn’t weird in the slightest, it was actually more enjoyable than anything else. He even found himself noticing the sweet smell of her hair and the way her soft skin felt against his, and when he pulled away, he was wearing an embarrassed smile.

“Oh, Potter, you little charmer,” said Ginny, but there was no hint of an embarrassed blush on her face like there would have been if that had happened four years ago. He grinned at her ability to be completely shameless, then went back to the box.

“What’s next?” he asked her.

“Ooh, let’s do tinsel,” she said. “Don’t you just love it?”

She picked up a gold string of it and twisted it around the bannisters, singing to herself as she went.

“Oh, by gosh, by golly; it’s time for mistletoe and holly…”

Harry laughed and took another piece of tinsel for the other side of the stairs. After half an hour, they had put up almost all of the decorations from the box, and were sitting at the table, chatting.

Ron opened the door, and he and Hermione stood there for a moment, taking their shoes off.

“Hey, Ron,” said Harry, “look what we found.”
He glanced up at the mistletoe, and his two friends followed his gaze. They both blushed deeply and jumped out from underneath it, avoiding each other’s eyes.

“You can’t get out of it that easily,” said Ginny. “You were under it “ you have to kiss “ it’s the rules.”

“Since when were there rules?” asked Ron.

“Since now,” she replied. “Now be a man and abide by them “ Harry did.”

Ron shot a glare at Harry, and Harry tried to reply with an apologetic look.

“Whatever,” said Ron, and he bent down and gave Hermione a quick peck on the cheek.

“There, that wasn‘t so hard, was it?” said Ginny, grinning at her brother.

He stuck his tongue out at her and she returned the gesture.

“All the fairies behaving themselves?” asked Harry.

“They’re actually quite good-tempered as magical creatures go,” said Hermione, sitting down opposite Harry.

“Which is odd,” said Ron, “because we cram them in a box for most of the year.”

“Don’t start,” said Harry seriously, “or we’ll never hear the end of SPAF.”

“What’s SPAF?” asked Hermione interestedly.

“The Society for the Protection of Abused Fairies,” he told her with a straight face.

Ron and Ginny laughed, and Hermione just scowled at him, but Harry could see that she was really trying to hide a smile.

“Well, I think we’ve all earnt some lunch,” said Ginny, and she got up and started to prepare some sandwiches.

* * *

The rest of the day passed very quickly due to the excited atmosphere which had taken residence throughout the entire house. Fred and George had arrived and were making everyone merry by demonstrating some of the latest products from their joke shop. That evening, Harry went to bed feeling positive that this was going to be one of the best Christmases that he had ever had.


A/N: next chapter - Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione action! Yay!
What a Christmas Present by hattiepotter
The Best Christmas Present


The light was glistening off her tears like the sunlight on a tropical oasis. It should have been beautiful, but somehow it just didn’t seem to be. Her dark hair framed her almost perfect face, but when she spoke, her voice sounded as if she was upset, and it only made him nervous. Why did she have to cry?

But then, she was changing. Her face became paler, more freckles emerged, and her hair turned a vibrant shade of “ red. Now she was perfect. Weeping softly, she shook her head.

“No. Sorry, but it’s not that simple…”

“Why? Please, don’t go, I “ I don’t want to lose you…”

Her eyes widened “ she looked mortified “ and she started to run. She was getting further and further away from him, disappearing into the distant void of emptiness that was life without her…

“COME BACK! Please come back!” he shouted, but she only kept running…


“Harry!” She sounded so close, and yet she was so far away. “Harry!”

He pulled his eyes open to find himself gazing into the very brown ones which he had just lost forever.

“What?” he asked, still confused at the sudden switch from dream to reality.

“I was just going to get a glass of water when I heard you calling out,” said Ginny, sounding concerned. “Are you ok?”

Harry turned his head and saw that he was lying on his bed on Ron’s floor. Ron was still fast asleep, snoring loudly, and Ginny was kneeling beside him, watching him anxiously.

“Oh, yeah, I think so,” he said. “Just weird dreams, that’s all.”

“Sure?”

He nodded.

“Thanks, though,” he added gratefully.

Then Harry noticed that she was only wearing her nightdress, and she was shivering slightly.

“Hey, you must be freezing,” he said.
“Yeah, I am a bit actually.” She giggled quietly. “See you tomorrow, then.”

“Today, actually,” said Harry, pointing to Ron’s clock which showed that it was gone midnight.

“Oh, right,” she whispered. “See you later!”

She got up from her spot on the carpet and went over to the door, opening it carefully so as not to make a sound.

“And Merry Christmas!”

She grinned at Harry and he grinned back, then she left “ her pale figure disappearing into the eerie shadows of the house.

Harry fell back to sleep feeling very optimistic…

* * *

He kicked something hard at the end of his bed, and opened his eyes to find the culprit “ Christmas presents! Harry was pleased to see that this year he had almost as many as Ron, who was already in the process of opening his own presents when Harry woke up.

“Merry Christmas!” said Ron cheerily. “Hey, look what Hermione got me!”

He held up a pair of bright orange pyjamas with the Chudley Cannons logo on the breast pocket.

“Beats the usual, eh Harry?”

Harry had also got pyjamas from Hermione, except that his were a deep red and had his initials stitched on in gold.

“Wow,” said Harry. “And to think “ that year all we got was homework diaries!”

He unwrapped every parcel that was on his bed in less than fifteen minutes, by which time Ron was long finished, and inspecting his gifts more carefully. They went downstairs together, meeting the girls halfway, and thanked each other for their gifts. Hermione seemed to be acting a little snappily towards Ron, but Harry just ignored it, as it wasn’t that unusual anyway.

In the kitchen were Mr and Mrs Weasley, Fred, George, Bill and Charlie, all enjoying a Christmas breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast.

“You’re here!” shrieked Ginny, rushing over to her two eldest brothers and throwing her arms round first Charlie, then Bill.

“Whoa there, Hazelnut!” said Bill, as she squeezed him half to death.

“Sorry,” she muttered, and she let go of him and went to sit back down, blushing slightly.

Harry, Ron and Hermione grabbed some breakfast, then went to compare gifts. Hermione showed them a rare quill that she had got from her parents, made from the tail feather of a phoenix and with a nib of gold. Harry and Ron exchanged looks, wondering how much something like that would cost, but quickly tried to put on normal faces again when she looked at them. They were just wondering how long they would have to wait for Christmas dinner, when they heard a gentle knocking at the door.

“What?” said Ron impatiently.

Ginny’s head peered into the room.

“Er, I was wondering if I could have a word with Harry,” she said in an uncharacteristically timid voice.

Ron looked suspicious.

“Why?”

“I just wanted to talk to him,” said Ginny innocently.

“Fine, whatever.”

There was a short pause while Harry waited for her to speak, until she said:

“Harry? Out here?”

“Oh, right,” he said, finally picking up on the fact that she wanted to speak to him alone, and wondering why on earth this could be. He got up and went to join her on the stairs, Ron and Hermione staring after him, and looked at Ginny expectantly.

“Let’s go into my room,” she said, and she led him down the stairs to her bedroom.

Once inside, Harry realised that she was looking rather anxious, and asked what was wrong.

“Well, I’ve been thinking,” she said quickly, “and it’s only because it’s Christmas and it’s driving me crazy and it’s probably going to seem completely random and you’ll wonder whether I’ve gone mad and you’ll probably never “ “

“Ginny!”

Harry had had to stop her, because she looked like she was about to explode with nerves, or else use up all her breath and suffocate.

“Right,” she said, taking a deep breath, then carrying on. “Well, I wanted to know “ and you must tell me if you just want me to go away and never talk to you again because “ “

“Ginny, please! Just tell me!”

“I “ “

She looked up at him and Harry saw that she looked as if she might cry.

“Oh, it doesn’t matter,” she said resignedly.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked. “Because it seemed pretty urgent a moment ago.”

Harry didn’t know why, but he had an overwhelming sense that he wanted to know what she had been about to tell him. Ginny had sat down on her bed, and he joined her. She looked so unhappy, and Harry suddenly realised that if she started to cry, he could have to deal with an upset girl, and that he was not good at that, so he tried to comfort her.

“Ginny, whatever it is, I’m sure it will work itself out.”

“Well, that’s the thing,” she replied. “It can’t unless I do something about it.”

“Have you spoken to Hermione?” Harry asked, hoping that he could persuade her that this was probably something that she would be better off talking to a girl about.

“No,” said Ginny promptly. “I can’t. I can only tell…”

She looked up at him again and stared into his eyes. Then she suddenly reached up and kissed him. Harry immediately pulled away out of surprise.

“Ginny, I “ “

“Oh God, sorry,” she stuttered, looking away from him and blushing like he hadn’t seen her do in years.

“No, it’s “ “

Harry put his hand up to her face and turned her head towards him, then he leant in kissed her deeply, savouring the feeling as she returned the kiss and her hands crept up into his hair. They stood up together, never breaking apart, and Harry melted in this perfect moment. His arms snaked around her body and he held her close to him. When they finally pulled back to look at each other, they both gaped in astonishment at what they had just shared.

“What was it that you wanted to tell me?” Harry asked casually.

Ginny laughed nervously.

“What the hell did we just do?” she whispered.

“Something I wish we’d done years ago,” replied Harry with a grin.

“Oh God,” said Ginny. “What a Christmas present.”

Harry hesitated, before saying:

“Ginny, I “ I realised last night that I needed you, that it’s you who can make me feel happier than anyone else I know, and I want you to know that… that if you’ll have me I… I’ll look after you better than anyone else ever could.”

Harry was surprised to hear these words coming out of his mouth “ but he couldn’t help but pray that Ginny would say something soon; she was just gaping at him open-mouthed. Then, she reached up on tiptoe and kissed him, Harry now starting to wonder whether this was really happening, or whether there had just been something dodgy in the tea this morning. This had to be the best Christmas present in the world.

When Ginny pulled away Harry was worried to see that she was looking anxious again.

“There is one small thing which may cause a problem,” she said, biting her lip. “Ron.” Harry hadn’t even thought of Ron in all the excitement, but now he could see her point. “Unless… we don’t tell him…”

“I’m not sure how easy that will be,” Harry replied. “I mean, he’s my best friend, and he’s “ “ Harry remembered with an odd feeling “ “ your brother.”

“Hey, I’m the most accomplished liar of my age, and this is Ron we’re talking about “ it’ll be simple.”

“A fair point,” said Harry, grinning again.

“And plus,” she added, “keeping it a secret will be half the fun!”

She winked at him cheekily, and he laughed and squeezed her sides, making her squeal.

“You had better look after me, Potter, or there’ll be hell to pay,” she said as they sat down on her bed together.

Harry noticed that this was exactly like what Ron had said, and smiled. He could imagine that Ginny was definitely not someone you wanted to cross.

“So, this is out little secret?” he asked.

“Yes, or at least it is for now,” she said, squeezing his leg where her hand was resting on his lap.

“Better make the most of being alone then,” he replied, and he leaned in and kissed her again, putting his hand on her cheek.

They got up together and crossed the small room to the door.

“When we leave this room,” said Ginny, “we are just friends.”

Harry nodded and gave her one final kiss, then left the room, heading upstairs to find Ron and Hermione.

He thought he could hear them arguing again as he climbed the stairs to Ron’s room, and by the time he reached the door, their voices were at full volume, yelling uncontrollably at one another.


“So I’m not quite perfect, is that it?” Hermione screamed as Harry carefully opened the door. Hermione was standing beside it, glaring at Ron, who was sitting on his bed.

“Hermione!” Ron whined. “That’s not what I meant!”

“What is it, then? Don’t want to be seen with me?”

“No! Hermione! Come on! Listen to me!” Ron cried.

“I don’t want to listen to you, Ronald! Not now, not any time! I’m fed up with your bloody “ “ Ron flinched at Hermione’s uncharacteristic choice of words “ “ mockery and your unbelievable inability to notice something that’s right in front of you! For God’s sake!”

She stormed past Harry and out of the room.

“What the “ ?” said Harry.

Ron was still scowling at the door.

“What the hell was all that about?” Harry asked him.

"I got her some of that Hair Potion stuff for Christmas,” said Ron, sighing heavily. “Would never have bothered if I’d’ve known how much trouble it would cause.”

“Why was she so angry?”

“I think she thought that I was trying to insult her hair,” answered Ron, sounding as though he wondered how someone could possibly have come to that conclusion. “Completely missed the point.”

“Oh,” said Harry. He paused. “And were you?”

“No!” cried Ron. “I just thought that she looked really “ you know “ nice “ that time at the Yule Ball.”

“And… did you tell her that?” asked Harry.

Ron hung his head.

“No,” he muttered.

Harry tried to hold it back, but he couldn’t. “You probably should.”

“I can’t,” moaned Ron. “She’ll think I “ oh, I don’t know…”

“Come on,” said Harry. “I’ll come with you.”

And he dragged him out of the room before Ron could say another word. They went down the stairs to where Ginny’s door was, and heard the sound of Hermione crying coming from behind it. Harry knocked on the door.

“Yes?” came Ginny’s voice, and Harry’s stomach jumped.

“Can I come in?” asked Ron.

“No, you can’t,” said Ginny.

“But I need to talk to Hermione!”

“Well that’s too bad, because she doesn’t want to talk to you!”

Ron looked at Harry, hoping for some more advice.

“Tell her now!” hissed Harry.

Ron nodded nervously.

“I “ er “ “ he began. Harry nodded at him. “ It’s not because she’s not perfect, because she is, and it’s not because I don’t want to be seen with her, because I do,” Ron said to the closed door. “And I only got her that stuff for Christmas because “ “ Harry urged him on “ “ because I thought she looked amazing that night at the Yule Ball.”

Harry couldn’t believe his ears. Was this Ron being sentimental? In the silence that had followed Ron’s last words, Hermione’s gentle sobbing had stopped, and Harry could almost feel her eyes staring at them through the door. Then, after a few moments, the door handle turned slowly, and Hermione’s tearful red eyes appeared in the gap between the door and the frame.

“Do you really mean that?” she murmured.

Ron hesitated, then nodded slowly. All of a sudden, she had flung the door wide open and her arms were around his neck, her mass of brown hair almost covering his face. Harry felt a hand slip into his, and saw that Ginny had edged past Ron and Hermione, but they had been too overwhelmed to notice.

“Let’s leave them to it,” she whispered in Harry’s ear, and they crept past them and down the stairs to the kitchen.

“The turkey’s in!” announced Mrs Weasley gleefully. Harry swiftly let go of Ginny’s hand as her mother turned to look at them. “I want you all to look smart for dinner. Ginny, go and change your clothes.”

“Mum!” Ginny cried indignantly.

“I’m not having you wearing jeans for Christmas dinner. Now go and change!”

Ginny pulled a face, and Harry tried not to laugh as she stomped back upstairs.

“I’ll go and change too,” said Harry quickly, not wanting to have to help with the cooking. He turned and leapt up the stairs after Ginny, catching her up outside her room. “Do you mind? It’s just “ Ron and Hermione…”

“Already inviting yourself into my bedroom?” asked Ginny.

“Well “ no “ it’s just “ “

Ginny giggled.

“Oh don’t be stupid; I’m only joking, Harry.”

“Oh, right,” said Harry, with a sigh of relief. God it was nice to have a girl who didn’t take everything the wrong way.

Ginny opened her door and went in, with Harry follwing her. She casually pulled her top over her head, and started to rummage in her wardrobe for a new one. Harry jumped and quickly turned to face the wall. Ginny chatted to him as she changed, and after a few minutes of rustling and brushing, she said: “You can look now, by the way.”

Harry got up and looked at her, and his heart suddenly bolted into his throat. She was wearing a beautiful little dress of some floaty white material, which was cut in some unusual way, so that it flared out a little around her knees. She looked like an angel.

“W “ wow “ “ he stuttered.

Ginny smiled and bit her lip, her newly tied up hair flickering from side to side like dancing fire.

“Hey, will you put this on for me?” she asked, holding out a silver chain with tiny red jewels all along it which matched her hair.

“Sure,” said Harry, and she turned her back to him and lifted up her hair.

Harry felt her skin tingle as he touched her neck, and once he had fastened the little clasp, he ran his hands down over her shoulders and arms, and she shuddered slightly. She turned to look at him, her deep chocolate eyes gazing into his; the desire that had been building up inside her over the last five years now flickering dangerously behind them. She pressed up against him and kissed him deeply, and Harry pulled her in closer around the waist.

“We should probably show ourselves elsewhere,” said Harry quietly, still holding her in his arms, “or people will start to get suspicious.”

As they left the room, Harry’s head was spinning. This was the best Christmas “ ever.


A/N: I finally got this chapter up! Sorry it has been soooo long, but I was concentrating on finishing my other H/G fic, and I'm doing exams at the moment so have been rather busy. Hope you enjoyed it.

Next chapter: Footsie Interesting goings on under the table at Christmas lunch...
Footsie by hattiepotter
Footsie

At two o’ clock that afternoon, the sound of Mrs Weasley calling “Dinner!” triggered a stampede of feet through the house to the kitchen. They all took their places at the table, which was laden with steaming pots of roast potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, sausages, bacon and a china gravy boat filled to the brim with delicious gravy. Harry took a seat next to Ron, and Ginny and Hermione sat directly opposite them. The girls smiled to the two boys across the table from them, neither of them really knowing what the other had been up to, and everyone else completely oblivious to anything that had happened that morning.

The turkey that Mrs Weasley had cooked was mouth-wateringly good, and the best meal that Harry had had all year, even at Hogwarts. By the time pudding was being served, everyone was already comfortably full, but they just couldn’t resist the rich fruity Christmas pudding, and no one held back on the white sauce. Harry was chatting to Mr Weasley about batteries as he ate (or at least, as well as he could on such an unusual topic of conversation) when he felt something prod his foot under the table. It gave him such a fright that he jumped and let out a strangled yelp.

“Are you alright?” Mr Weasley asked him, looking rather worried for Harry’s mental state.

“Oh, er, yes “ sorry,” stuttered Harry distractedly, trying to peer under the table to find the source of the prod without looking too suspicious. They had just started again on their conversation, when he felt it for a second time. This time, he realised that it felt like a toe, and he glanced across at Ginny to try to assess whether or not she looked guilty of such a crime; but she was deep in conversation with Charlie about the Quidditch League. As Harry finished off his pudding, the toe jabbed his foot for a third time, but this time he was ready, and he kicked back.

“Ow!” cried Ginny, letting it slip before she could stop herself.

Harry started to laugh, but Ginny contained herself, shooting him a look of warning. He took a deep breath, and stopped laughing.

“What’s going on?” asked Ron.

“Oh, I just hit my foot on the table leg, that’s all,” answered Ginny, winking at Harry.

“Right…” said Ron, giving them both wary looks.

Ron began to talk again with Bill, who he was sitting next to, and Harry daringly stretched out and ran his toes up Ginny’s leg to her knee. She smiled into her bowl, suppressing a giggle, then Harry felt her fingers tickling his toes, and he jerked his foot away, hitting it on his chair leg in the process.

“Ow!” he exclaimed, reaching down to rub his heel.

Ginny couldn’t help it this time, and she snorted loudly and started to giggle uncontrollably.

“Seriously, what is going on?” Ron repeated, eyeing his best friend and his sister suspiciously.

“Sorry I “ I hit my foot on my chair,” Harry told him, trying to keep a straight face, but finding it hard because of Ginny’s incessant laughter.

After a couple of minutes, Ginny managed to control herself and regain her composure, but Harry noticed that she had that sly look on her face once more. He was surprised when Ron suddenly stopped talking and looked up abruptly, then looked over at Hermione and grinned furtively. Harry immediately had to put his fist in his mouth to stop the laughter, and when Ginny frowned at him, he signalled to Ron, who was still grinning. Ginny’s mouth dropped open, but after the immediate shock of it, she burst once again into uncontainable fits of the giggles, Harry following her.

“I’m not even going to ask,” said Ron this time, still looking at Hermione surreptitiously.

After lunch they all proceeded to their rooms for a post-dinner siesta. Hermione was heading for the bathroom, so Ginny grabbed Harry’s arm and pulled him into her bedroom as he passed. As soon as the door was shut, she pressed him against it and kissed him deeply. Harry kissed her back “ he had been wanting to do that all through lunch “ and they savoured each other.

“Oh my God,” murmured Harry when they broke apart.

“What?” asked Ginny, smiling.

“You “ you’re…”

He kissed her again, and this time there was less urgency, just feeling.

“Woah “ sorry!” Harry looked up quickly, and was alarmed to see Hermione in the doorway, looking shocked. “I “ um “ sorry!” she muttered, and she left the room at once.

Ginny giggled nervously while Harry stared at the now closed door.

“Oops,” she whispered.

“That’s pretty much what I was thinking,” Harry replied.

“What shall we do?”

“There’s not much we can do,” said Harry, “except hope that she doesn’t tell Ron just yet.”

“Good point,” said Ginny. “I think I’ll go and find her. Coming?”

“I’ll “ um “ stay here,” said Harry, thinking that he’d rather not face Ron if he did find out.

Ginny nodded and left the room, leaving Harry alone. He sat down on her bed and tried to imagine how Ron would react when he found out. Would he be happy for them? Or would he fly off the handle and never speak to him again? Harry shuddered at this last thought, but was pulled from his reverie as the door opened. He stood up quickly as Ginny entered, followed by “ Hermione.

“So, um “ “ started Harry uncertainly.

“Harry, it’s okay,” said Hermione. “I’m not going to bite your head off! I think this is great.”

“You “ what?”

“It’s great that you two are together,” Hermione repeated. “And now that me and Ron are “ well “ “ Harry smiled inwardly at the idea that Hermione could be so confident about him and Ginny, but still shy about her and Ron. “Anyway,” she continued, “I’m not going to tell Ron if that’s what you want, but I think you should.”

Harry should have seen that coming.

“But don’t you think he’ll “ you know “ get mad?” he asked.

Hermione smiled. “Not if he has any sense.”

“So, yes, probably,” said Ginny with a smirk. Harry smiled at her and her hand slipped into his. Hermione saw this and grinned.

“Oh I’m so happy!” she said. “This is the best Christmas I’ve had in ages.”

“Me too,” said Harry, glancing at Ginny, who giggled.

“Well, I suppose I’ll go then,” said Hermione. “Because “ well “ I wouldn’t want to… “

“Hermione, just go!” said Ginny. “We know it’s because you don’t want to be here with us “ ”

“Okay, okay!” said Hermione. “Enough said “ I’m going!”



A/N: I know that was really short, but it was just a little fluffness to fill the gap while I decide what happens next!
A New Leaf by hattiepotter
A/N: this chapter is dedicated to the Devon Crew - my favourite bunch of people to spend the New Year with...


It was Boxing Day, and Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione were wandering around outside The Burrow, weaving in and out of the trees, and chatting excitedly about the New Year. Snow was falling all around them, and Harry was watching it fall on Ginny’s bright hair, then melting gradually and being replaced by more snowflakes.

“I’ve just had a brilliant idea!” said Ginny, suddenly looking very excited and turning to face them all. “We should have a huge party! And invite everyone we know!”

“Ah yeah!” said Ron, equally as excited.

“But aren’t most people we know at Hogwarts for the holidays?” asked Harry.

“Not this year,” Hermione told him. “Everyone wants to see their children over Christmas because “ well “ they’re scared, aren’t they? They want reassurance that they’re alright.”

The four of them fell into silence.

“All the more reason to have a party,” said Ginny after a few moments, “it will cheer them all up.”

Harry smiled at her, thankful that he had someone in his life who always looked on the bright side.

* * *

“Hermione! What’s the time? Are they going to be arriving soon? How long will they be?”

Ron was yelling from his bedroom down to Ginny’s where she, Harry and Hermione were talking. Hermione got up haughtily and went to go and shut him up.

“Calm down, Ron!” Harry heard her calling up the stairs. “And give it a rest with the yelling!”

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that boy’s head was completely empty,” said Ginny.

“He’s just nervous,” Harry replied. “He’ll be alright once we’ve got some Firewhisky down him!”

“Ah, I hope Fred and George can smuggle some in,” said Ginny enthusiastically.

“Me too. Maybe then Ron will get enough confidence to actually show some affection for Hermione.”

“And maybe then he won’t blow his head off if we tell him about us,” Ginny added.

“Good point,” said Harry. “I’m fed up with not being able to do this “ “ he kissed her swiftly on the lips “ “ when he’s around.”

Ginny giggled.

“Or this “ “ she kissed him back, but less reservedly.

“How about this?” asked Harry, and he pulled her towards him and this time it was more passionate than before.

“Especially that,” answered Ginny with a grin when they broke apart. “Now, we should be getting ready for the party.”

“Is there really much more to do?” asked Harry.

Ginny looked at him, her eyes wide and her mouth open.

“More to do?” she repeatedly, sounding shocked. “Of course there’s more to do! We’re not even dressed! And I haven’t had a shower or done my hair or my make-up or “ “

“Okay, okay!” said Harry. “I get the point! But those are all girly things “ I’m practically ready.”

“Well in that case, you and Ron can sit and do nothing, and me and Hermione will be down in about an hour.”

“An hour?” asked Harry. “It will really take that long?”

Ginny rolled her eyes at him and pushed him out of the door, just as Hermione passed him and went back in. Harry climbed the stairs to Ron’s room and got changed for the party, trying to ignore Ron’s constant mitherings about how many people would turn up and whether they had enough Butterbeer. An hour later, five minutes before the guests were due to arrive, Harry and Ron were sitting in the kitchen waiting for the girls to come down.

“Man alive, how long do they take!” said Ron in exasperation.

Perfectly on queue, they heard footsteps descending the stairs, and looked up to see Hermione coming into the kitchen. She looked astonishingly pretty, wearing purple dress robes made of silk. She had some of her hair clipped back, with the rest of it hanging loosely around her shoulders. It seemed that she had gotten over the Sleekeasy’s Hair Potion dilemma, and had used it to tame her hair so that it was sleek and shiny, with none of the usually frizz. Ron just stuttered:

“Hermione, you look…“

“… amazing,” finished Harry.

Hermione smiled at them and her cheeks blushed a rosy shade of pink.

“Thank you.” Ron stood gawping at her for a moment longer, before Hermione continued. “Er “ shall we go outside?”

Ron nodded, and he and Hermione proceeded outside. A minute later, Harry heard more footsteps, and soon enough Ginny was entering the kitchen. Harry gaped. She was wearing long, emerald green dress robes made of velvet, with a square neckline which made her look like a medieval princess. It was fitted around her body, accentuating her slender figure, then it flared out naturally down to her ankles, and her long, red hair was done so that loose curls fell beautifully about her shoulders.

“W “ wow,” gasped Harry.

Ginny walked towards him and he put his hands on her waist.

“Do you like it?” she asked him. “We got it in an antique sale at Madam Malkin’s.”

“It’s an original?”

Ginny nodded. Harry kissed her tenderly and her soft hair brushed his face. As his hands slid up her back, he noticed that the dress was laced up like a corset, the strings criss-crossing over her bare skin in the middle of her back.

“Shall we see if anyone has arrived yet?” asked Ginny.

Harry nodded and restrained himself from taking her hand as they made their way into the garden. They had worked all day to create an idyllic setting for their party in the Weasleys’ back garden. The fairies that weren’t sitting in Japanese lanterns around the garden were fluttering around above people’s heads, and hundreds of tiny candles illuminated a winding path through the trees at the bottom of the lawn.

“Harry!” Harry’s heart sank “ Colin Creevey. “Have you had a good Christmas?”

“Yes thanks, Colin,” said Harry, with as much enthusiasm as he could muster.

Ginny snorted at his tone, but stopped abruptly when Colin addressed her.

“How about you, Ginny? Have you been keeping well?”

“Oh, yes thanks, Colin,” said Ginny, in the same noncommittal tone as Harry.

“What have you two been doing over the holidays?”

Ginny looked up at Harry with a sparkle in her eyes.

“Oh, not much,” said Harry.

“I must say, you look really lovely tonight, Ginny,” said Colin cheerfully.

A wave of protectiveness swept over Harry, and he wanted to shout “Back off! She’s mine!” at Colin, but knew he probably shouldn’t.

“Thanks,” said Ginny to Colin.

Colin stared at her for a while, prompting Harry to say: “Well, we should see who else is here. Nice to see you, Colin,” and pull Ginny away from him.

“Harry!” whispered Ginny. “He just said I looked nice!”

“Yeah, well,“ muttered Harry, “he was staring at you, wasn’t he? Like some gormless idiot.”

Ginny giggled. “Like you did, you mean?”

“That’s different, I’m allowed to,” replied Harry.

“You definitely are,” whispered Ginny in his ear.

Harry subtly squeezed her hand. It was killing him not to be able to show public affection for her, but they still hadn’t told Ron, and he wanted to do that at the right time.

“Psst! Oi!”

Harry and Ginny glanced around to see Fred and George hiding behind a large shrub, gesturing for them to join them.

“What?” asked Harry, once they were also behind the bush.

Fred held up a red bottle. “Firewhisky!” he said gleefully. “Go and get some glasses, we’ll give you some.”

“Won’t people notice that our drinks are on fire?” asked Harry.

“Don’t be stupid, Harry,” said Ginny. “I’ll go and get the glasses.”

A moment later, she was back with two glasses. George poured the fiery liquid into them, and handed them back to Ginny.

“Watch and learn, my friend,” she said to Harry.

She pulled out her wand, pointed it at the glasses, and mumbled something under her breath; the whisky immediately changed to look like water.

“Nice one,” said Harry. “Where’d you learn to do that?”

“Not my first time,” muttered Ginny with a smirk. “Thanks, guys.”

They came out from behind the bush, and Harry took a sip of his drink. The strong liquid burned his throat as it slipped down, but the heat was satisfying, especially on such a cold evening, and he suddenly no longer felt cold. Ginny took a surprisingly long gulp from hers, given its strength.

“Ah, it’s so good,” she said. “Let’s go and find Ron to tell him where to get it.”

They found Ron talking to Seamus and Dean on the other side of the house. Harry told him about the Firewhisky, and he left excitedly.

“Hi, Ginny,” mumbled Dean.

Ginny gave him a kind of half-smile, obviously not wanting to have to talk to him after their slightly unsavoury break up last term.

“Nice Christmas, Harry?” said Seamus, apparently trying to draw the attention away from Ginny and Dean.

“Yeah, it’s been good, thanks,” Harry replied. “How about you?”

“Oh, it was alright,” said Seamus. “Me mam insisted on dragging us to me grandparents. That’s never fun.”

Harry put on a fake smile, thinking that he would give anything to spend Christmas with his family.

“Do you like the garden?” asked Ginny.

“Yeah, it’s really nice,” said Seamus. “Did you do all of this?”

“With help from Harry, Ron and Hermione,” said Ginny. “Hey,” she leaned in closer to him, “Fred and George have got some Firewhisky round by the backdoor if you want some.”

Seamus grinned. “Sounds good. See you later!” And he and Dean left, just as Hermione wandered over to them.

“Have you told him yet?” she asked. Harry and Ginny shook their heads. “Aren’t you dying? Why haven’t you done it?”

“Don’t know,” said Ginny guiltily. “We will though.”

“Make it soon “ you’ll want to kiss at midnight,” said Hermione with a smile.

“That’s a fair point,” said Harry. “I think we might wait until he’s had a few of those glasses though.” He looked over at where Ron stood with Neville, sipping at his drink.

“Why?” asked Hermione.

“It’s “ “Harry started, but Ginny elbowed him in the ribs “ “ best he’s not hungry or anything. I mean “ you know Ron “ always thinking about his stomach.”

Hermione surveyed him suspiciously, then smiled. “That’s true. Well, I’ll go and make sure he’s in a good mood.”

She walked over to Ron and put her arm around him.

“Hey, let’s go inside for a bit,” Ginny whispered in Harry’s ear.

She led him into the house, turning heads as she went, and they went partway up the stairs to avoid the people in the kitchen. She pulled Harry towards her by the chin and planted a kiss on his lips. They stood there in each other’s arms for a while afterwards, Ginny resting her forehead on Harry’s.

“What are we going to say to him?” she asked, after several minutes of silence.

“Just that we’re together and we hope that he can be happy for us,” Harry replied.

“But what if he flies off the handle? It would totally ruin the party.”

“It’s a risk we’ll have to take.”

They made their way back down the stairs, and, unfortunately, bumped into Fred at the bottom.

“What have you two been doing?” he asked, with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“Oh shut up, Fred,” said Ginny, and she pulled Harry back outside by the hand.

“Er “ Ron?” said Harry nervously once they had approached him. “Can we talk to you for a moment? Inside?”

“What, both of you?” asked Ron curiously.

“Yes,” said Ginny, “both of us.”

“Ok,” he said anxiously, and he followed them inside.

Once they were in the kitchen, Harry started to talk.

“So, Ron, what we wanted to tell you, is that, well “ “

“ “ we’re together,” said Ginny promptly, sensing that Harry was going to chicken out.

Ron stared at them. His silence was uneasing, and after a few moments, Harry said: “Ron, say something.”

“I “ um “ well,” stammered Ron. Then he looked Harry straight in the eye, and said: “She’s my little sister, Harry. You had better take care of her.”

Harry smiled. “Of course I will.”

“I mean it,” added Ron.

“Ron, I trust him, and so should you,” said Ginny. “We’re really happy, and we want you to understand that.”

Ron hesitated. “How long has this been going on?”

“Since Christmas Day,” answered Harry, suddenly realising that they probably should have told him sooner.

“Well it certainly explains Christmas lunch,” mumbled Ron. “Why are you telling me now?”

“We needed to do it so that we can start the New Year with everything sorted,” said Ginny.

Ron looked at them. “You’re really serious about this?” he asked.

“Yes,” they replied in unison.

“Fine,” grunted Ron. Harry grinned and looked at Ginny, who was also grinning, and they joined hands. “You have no idea how weird that is,” said Ron, looking at their inter-locked fingers. “And I don’t even want to think about anything else.” He shuddered. “I’m going outside,” he said finally, and left them in the kitchen.

“I just want to grab something from my room,” Ginny told Harry. “Back in a sec.”

Harry went back out through the backdoor, passing Dean in the doorway, who Harry noticed looked oddly apprehensive.

“Just did it,” Harry muttered in Hermione’s ear when he found her outside.

“And?” she asked.

“It was okay, actually,” said Harry. “He doesn’t seem to be mad. Just a bit weirded out.”

“Oh, that’s excellent!” she cried, and she flung her arms around his neck.

“Yeah, unless he’s just not letting on how he really feels,” said Harry through her hair.

“He’ll be alright,” said Hermione, releasing him. “I’ll talk to him if he gets grumpy.”

“Thanks,” said Harry.

“Hey, it’s half eleven,” said Hermione, glancing at her watch. “It’ll be midnight before we know it.”

“Oh right, I’ll go and get Ginny,” said Harry, and he went back into the house and started to ascend the stairs. About halfway up, just as he approached Ginny’s room, he heard a male voice coming from inside. Curious, Harry crept up to the door and listened:

“You look really pretty tonight, by the way,” came Dean’s voice from behind the closed door. Harry’s stomach squirmed.

“Thanks,” said Ginny’s voice, although she didn’t sound like she had appreciated the compliment.

“And I “ well “ I’m really sorry about how we finished it last term,” said Dean.

“How you finished it, you mean?” replied Ginny bitterly.

Dean hesitated. “Look, I never meant to hurt you.”

“Well you didn’t do a very good job of that, did you?” retorted Ginny. “I don’t exactly remember you being particularly sensitive about it.”

“I’m really sorry!” cried Dean in exasperation. “I just wish… I just wish we could give it another try...” Harry restrained himself from doing something he would regret.

There was a long pause, then: “Dean, I really can’t. Just back off, okay?”

“Oh come on, Ginny!” replied Dean. “It’s New Year’s Eve!”

“Hey, I said back off Dean!”

Harry couldn’t stand it any longer, and he burst through the door to see Ginny pushing Dean off her.

“She said back off,” said Harry firmly. Dean turned around, and Ginny looked up at him in surprise.

“What are you doing here?” asked Dean. “This has nothing to do with you, Harry.”

“It has everything to do with me,” replied Harry. “Now leave her alone.”

“It’s none of your business,” said Dean. “Just get out of here.”

“Don’t speak to him like that,” said Ginny irritably.

“But it’s true!” Dean said to her. “This is between us!” Dean stepped towards Ginny and put his hand on her face.

“Get away from her,” muttered Harry.

“Why should I do what you tell me?” asked Dean. “You have no right to order me about.”

“I do if you’re about to try it on with Ginny when she’s already told you several times to get lost,” answered Harry. “Anyway, it’s too late, Dean.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean you had your chance, and you blew it,” said Harry. “Ginny’s moved on.”

“What Harry’s trying to say,” Ginny cut in, “is that I’m with him now.”

“You’re “ what?”

“Me and Harry “ a couple,” said Ginny clearly.

“I don’t believe you,” said Dean.

“What?” asked Ginny.

“I don’t believe you,” repeated Dean. “You’re just trying to get rid of me.”

“Well you had better believe it,” replied Ginny, and she walked over to stand beside Harry, “because I’m not going to put up with any more crap from you, Dean. It’s over. And it’s about time that you got that into your thick head.” She turned to Harry. “Let’s go.” And they left Dean standing there in her room, at a complete loss for words.

“I’m really sorry about that,” said Ginny, as they went back down the stairs and into the garden. “He’s been acting weird ever since we broke up.”

“I don’t get it,” said Harry. “He’s the one who broke up with you.”

“Yeah, well, he’s obviously conveniently changed his mind.”

“Oh good, you’re here,” said Hermione when she saw them. “Fred and George are just getting their fireworks ready to set them off at midnight.”

“Cool,” said Ginny. “I bet they’re going to try out some of the new ones that they’ve been creating. What’s the time now?”

“Quarter to twelve,” said Hermione. “I’ll go and get Ron.”

A second later, Ron had joined them, and the four grouped together to wait for the New Year. The air was buzzing with excitement as midnight steadily approached, and Ginny shuffled up to Harry to keep warm. He put his arms around her, and she rested her head on his shoulder. Ron kept glancing at them warily, but Harry ignored him; he had said it was fine with him, so there shouldn’t have been a problem.

“10!” someone shouted, and everyone joined in the countdown: “9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 “ HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

An explosion of brightly coloured fireworks filled the midnight air, twisting and looping through the night sky and up to the moon. Harry turned to Ginny.

“Happy New Year,” he whispered, and he kissed her, thinking of all the good times that lay ahead which outweighed the bad, and how happy he was now that he had her in his life.

“Happy New Year,” she whispered back, ignoring Parvati and Lavender, who were standing nearby, giggling at them.

“To a new leaf and a life of great things to come,” said Hermione, looking down from the fireworks in the sky, and raising her glass. Harry, Ron and Ginny followed suit, and they drank to happiness. Ron was looking at Hermione nervously, and a moment later, he leaned in and kissed her. Hermione smiled and kissed him back lovingly, and they embraced each other and the New Year. Harry pulled Ginny close to him, and they watched the sparkling light of the fireworks writing ‘Happy New Year everybody’ across the darkness. Then they spelled out ‘Harry and Ginny “ you thought we hadn’t noticed’, and they laughed.

“I’m going to kill them!” yelled Ginny, but she was grinning from ear to ear, just like Harry.

He had decided that this year was going to be the best yet…



A/N: That's the end of that one I'm afraid - New Year seemed like a good time to end a Christmas story. Hope you enjoyed it. Please R/R - I love to hear your feedback.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=7118