Deepest Star of Night by Muinthil
Summary: Choices. It's a part of growing up. They aren't always easy to make and the consequences can bring you down paths you never would have imagined. Can the bonds of friendship survive? Can love continue to grow when each day seems darker with rumors of war on the horizon? SB/OC SS/OC JP/LE
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 9497 Read: 13438 Published: 08/10/07 Updated: 06/06/09

1. Chapter 1 by Muinthil

2. Chapter 2 by Muinthil

3. Chapter 3 by Muinthil

4. Chapter 4 by Muinthil

5. Chapter 5 by Muinthil

Chapter 1 by Muinthil
Author's Notes:
Everything involving the Harry Potter world does not belong to us (although we really wish Sirius and Snape did! lol ) We do own Samiya and Cate...they are our own creations. A big thanks to our wonderful beta!!
Deepest Star of Night

Chapter One

“You two could give me a hand with this,” Cate Bajer grunted, dragging her over packed trunk into the compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Lily Evans and Samiya Rosa laughed as they both helped lift the trunk into the overhead rack.

“You bring a dead body in there, Cate?” Samiya laughed and flopped back onto the seat. None of the girls could believe they were starting their seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It felt like only yesterday they met as first years at the Sorting Ceremony.

“Yeah cause you never know when you’ll need one,” Cate commented dryly. “I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t forget anything.” She constantly over packed when she went anywhere. But at least she was always prepared.

“Did you do anything interesting in Greece this year?” Lily asked curiously. Cate and her parents spent every summer at their villa in Greece.

“The usual, hiding away in the corner at my parents boring parties,” She laughed. Her parents were high in society and had a party almost every weekend through the entire summer. Cate would stay for a few minutes to make an appearance and usually try to escape back to her room once her parents were too caught up in the party to notice she was missing. “What about you, Lily? Were you able to get away from your sister as you were hoping?”

“For most of the time. I had a summer job at an ice cream shop. I worked pretty much everyday so I hardly saw Petunia. When I was home, she was out with her boyfriend anyway,” Lily explained. The relationship between her and her sister had grown worse throughout the years and Lily had been dreading the summer break because of it.

“Well at least it’s our last year and you can move out of that house,” Samiya commented. “I pretty much sat around and did absolutely nothing all summer… it was great! I hung around the pool and spent time with my family when they weren’t at work.” Samiya’s parents and brother both worked long hours at the Ministry. Her father and brother were both Aurors and her mother worked at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Her sister was a Healer at St. Mungo’s.


“That explains the tan,” Lily laughed, noticing how dark Samiya had gotten over the summer.

“It’s great, isn’t it! Too bad it’ll fade in about a month or so,” she commented, knowing that she was never able to keep a tan for long. The train had just left the station when the door to their compartment was flung open.

“Here you are Evans…. Trying to avoid your Head Girl duties?” James teased as he walked in with Sirius, Remus, and Peter in tow.

“I already did my rounds, Potter. What excuse do you have?” she asked with raised eyebrows. The last thing Lily wanted was to deal with James Potter and the rest of the incredibly annoying Marauders. They had been obnoxious since the moment she had met them, and it obviously wasn’t going to change anytime soon.

“I’ve done my share. Slytherin’s down quite a few points already,” James smirked and the rest of the boys started laughing, thinking back on their earlier encounter with Avery, Rosier, and Wilkes.

“I really don’t know what Dumbledore was thinking when he made you Head Boy,” Samiya commented, glaring at the boys. In fact all three girls were giving the Marauders dirty looks.

“What do you know? You haven’t even been a prefect,” Sirius replied haughtily, proud that his best friend had moved up in the world.

“You haven’t been either, Black.” Samiya laughed coldly. “Remus is the one who’s a prefect.” He made a face at her and then seemed to realize Cate was sitting there, looking on with amusement.

“Shouldn’t you be with your Slytherin friends?” he asked. It was rare to find a Slytherin spending time with Gryffindors, but Cate wasn’t your typical Slytherin.

“Don’t be a jerk,” Cate said rolling her eyes. After six years of comments about being friends with the ‘enemy’ she had gotten rather used to it. Just then, James noticed Snape walking by, carrying a potions set to take back to his compartment.


“Oh look, Snivellus got himself a new chemistry set.” He laughed, causing Snape to pause in the doorway. His eyes narrowed at the sight of the Gryffindor boys snickering at him.

“Piss off, Potter,” he said cruelly. James and Sirius exchanged a grin. Snape had no clue what he was getting into. Let the fun begin!

“I’d watch what I’d say if I were you Snivelly. You’re talking to the Head Boy.” James smirked, showing off his badge. Snape looked at him in disbelief. Sneering, he turned to leave but he didn’t realize that Sirius had cast a spell while James was distracting him. As he turned, he suddenly found himself falling to the ground, his new potion set shattering as it landed a few feet away from him. His shoelaces had been tied together.

“You think you’re funny?” Cate cried out standing from where she was sitting. She whipped out her wand and quickly repaired the potion set and untied Snape’s shoes.

“We’re just having fun!” Sirius laughed. Remus shook his head and looked out the window, trying his best to ignore everything that was happening. He was torn from his duties as prefect and his loyalty to his friends. Instead, he just tried to ignore the situation as best as possible.

“You’re really shallow if your idea of fun is being a bully to everyone else!” Cate shouted and stormed out of the compartment leaving Snape to pick himself up from the ground.

“You’re a real git! You think you’re so much better than everyone else but all you do is end up looking like a fool!” Samiya frowned, pushing past him and following after Cate.

“Who does she think she is?” He laughed, looking towards James and Peter who were also laughing. Lily shook her head,

“You’ve really screwed up this time, Potter,” She glared, leaving the compartment after her two friends. James frowned staring after her. Why was he always blamed for everything?

At the Sorting ceremony, Cate left Lily and Samiya to take a seat at the end of the Slytherin table. She ignored the cold looks she received from her classmates, and focused her attention on watching the rest of the school file into the room. Suddenly she could feel someone watching her. Looking across the table, she found Snape glaring at her from where he had taken a seat right opposite of her.

“Can I help you?” Cate asked, raising an eyebrow. Snape and her had never really spoken much to each other, although they were in the same year and had most of their classes together. They both usually kept to themselves.

“What do you think you were doing?” he demanded coldly.

“You mean back on the train?” she asked, not sure what he was talking about. He glared harder, confirming that was what he had meant.

“I don’t need some girl fighting my battles. Especially you.” Cate winced at the last part but didn’t have to question what he meant by it. She knew that her housemates thought her to be a traitor since she was friends with Gryffindors. She had become an outcast for it. There had been many instances where she had actually questioned why the Sorting Hat had placed her in Slytherin, instead of one of the other houses.

“Well excuse me for trying to help,” Cate said returning the glare.

“Next time mind your own business,” Snape stated just as McGonagall signaled for silence for the ceremony to begin.

Lily and Samiya headed to their table, wishing for the hundredth time that Cate could be allowed to sit with them. They knew she hated sitting by herself, being subjected to her housemates’ taunts. The two girls took seats at the middle of the table. As soon as they sat down, James and Sirius sat down on either side of them with Remus and Peter taking the seats across. Both Samiya and Lily let out low groans.

“What do you boys want?” Lily sighed, hoping that they would leave them alone.

“Ouch! I’m wounded Evans. You make it seem like you don’t want us around.” James grinned, slinging his arms over Lily’s shoulder.

“What made you think we wanted you around?” Samiya answered as Lily pushed James’ arm away.

“You’re not still sore about what happened on the train, are you?” Sirius asked slightly surprised. He had thought the girls would have gotten over it by now. Remus just shook his head at the absurdity of his friends. He knew the girls would still be upset and thought that it would be best if James and Sirius left them alone. Obviously, they didn’t listen to him.

“You’re both idiots,” Samiya stated and then turned to watch the sorting, both her and Lily trying their best to ignore the boys until they could escape to the common room.
Chapter 2 by Muinthil
Chapter Two

“Oh great! I had to oversleep today of all days!” Cate muttered to herself as she ran towards the first class of the year, double potions with Gryffindor. Although Cate was one of Professor Slughorn’s favorites, she wouldn't make a good impression strolling in late the first day of class.

Running into the classroom she noticed that she had arrived just in time. The Professor was too busy talking to Lily and Samiya to notice her come in late. Glancing around, she noticed that all the good seats were already taken. Potter and Black were seated in Cate’s usual spot, close to Lily and Samiya. Will they ever take a hint? The only open seat left was right next to Severus Snape.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Severus asked as she sat down next to him. As if yesterday wasn’t enough torture, here she was again, smiling at him, trying to be friendly. Didn’t Bajer understand that he wanted to be left alone?

“Sitting down. What does it look like to you?” Cate replied, preparing her potions materials for the day’s lesson. Severus chose to ignore her, continuing to prepare his own materials. Usually he’d have a smart answer for her, but since when did he have to answer to a traitor like her?

“Settle down class. Scales and potions ingredients out. And most importantly, don’t forget your copies of Advanced Potions Making,” Professor Slughorn called out, pausing for a moment as the students began to take out their materials. “As you all know, this is your final year at Hogwarts and with it you will be taking your N.E.W.T. Exams. This will not be an easy year but I’m sure that you will do brilliantly in the future, such as Miss Evans, whom I am sure will succeed as a magnificent Healer. Also Miss Rosa, who will take her place among the finest Aurors the Ministry has ever seen.” Both Lily and Samiya smiled proudly at this final comment. Several students around the room rolled their eyes. It was known that Slughorn had his favorites, the two Gryffindors obviously falling into that category.

“This is all a bunch of rubbish,” Sirius whispered to James. “All these tests are a waste of our time.” Ever since the O.W.L’s, Sirius hadn’t been very enthusiastic about taking any more tests. He would prefer learning to use the theories then writing essays about the origin of the spell or potion.

“SHHHHH,” the girls both said from their seats, in front of the boys.

“Why are you two so worried? Afraid that seven years of kissing up to Slughorn won’t be enough to get a job?” James asked, leaning towards Lily and Samiya. These girls were so uptight! They were always sitting in front of the class, hanging on to the professor's every word. Well, maybe not that extreme.

“You really should start paying attention, Potter. The last time I checked I didn’t see any openings for Quidditch Cup winners with big heads like you,” Lily retorted, turning around towards them as Slughorn made his way to the opposite side of the room to assist one of the Slytherins.

“Or for annoying sidekicks who think they’re the world’s gift to women,” Samiya added, smirking at Sirius. He frowned. He’d usually be willing to teach both girls a lesson, especially after many years of pranking them. But there was something interesting about Samiya Rosa that he’d never seen before, almost intriguing in a way. Before he could say anything else James replied.

“I already know what I’m doing after I leave Hogwarts.”

“Really? Selling your autobiography to the highest bidder maybe?” Lily teased lightly. She turned back to chopping the ginger roots for the potion.

“No. I’m going to be marrying you,” he stated confidently as Sirius patted him on the back.

“Good job, Prongs!” Sirius laughed, enjoying the shocked look on Lily’s face. She quickly turned around, her face as red as her hair. He had some nerve! Why did he always have to embarrass her like that? And why was Samiya laughing?

“Come on, Lily! You have to admit it was a good answer.” Samiya laughed. Out of all the lame things that James Potter had said throughout their seven years at school, she had to admit…that was a pretty smooth comment, and enough to leave her friend speechless.

“Mr. Potter and Mr. Black! Unless you want to create an explosion in my classroom I suggest you pay attention to your potion,” Slughorn called out, finally noticing that the group of Gryffindor's weren’t doing the assignment he had given them.

“Yes, Professor,” Sirius said innocently. He waited until Slughorn turned towards Snape and Bajer’s potion before talking to Samiya once more. “You know, you going to have to start being a little nicer to me.”

“And why is that?” she replied, not bothering to turn away from her potion. Sirius leaned in closer.

“Because when Prongs marries Evans you and I are going to be spending a lot of time together.”

“HA! Is that so?” Where did these boys get their ideas? It was obvious that they didn’t lack self-confidence.

“Yeah. We might be spending a lot of time…alone. So I’m thinking we could get better acquainted,” Sirius said smoothly, winking suggestively at her as he turned back to work on the final step of the instructions.

“Do you always get your girlfriends with such lame pick up lines?” Samiya asked, interrupting Sirius before he could finish.

“That’s what you say now,” he retorted, adding the last ingredient to his potion.

“Severus, do you have the last ingredient? Severus?” Cate had been quietly working on her potion since beginning their in-class assignment. Occasionally, she glanced towards her friends on the other side of the room who seemed to be having more fun than she was. It wasn’t easy working with a potions partner who didn’t even want to talk to you.

Looking up from her potion she caught sight of a smirking Severus levitating something straight into Black and Potter’s cauldron. Neither James nor Sirius had noticed, as they were bickering with Samiya and Lily. As soon as Black had put in the last ingredient to the potion, it exploded. The contents spilled all over them.

Lily and Samiya couldn’t contain their excitement and laughter over what had just happened. Even Professor Slughorn had a difficult time hiding a smile as he sent the boys to the hospital wing, who by now had thick brown hair starting to cover their entire bodies.

“See you later, boys!” Samiya laughed as they left sulking. Cate noticed them give Snape a dirty look. She knew that they would be plotting their revenge soon.

“This is going to make things worse, you know.” Cate sighed, turning to Snape, who was rather proud of himself. Boys were so immature! Severus Snape had gained the upper hand now but he was going to have all four of the Marauders up on him next time. And this time they had an excuse. He’d never learn.

“Stay out of it, Bajer,” Snape stated coldly. He refused to let her bring down his triumph.

“So you do know who I am,” Cate teased lightly. She had never been sure if Severus Snape even knew her name seeing as he always referred to her as “you”. Maybe he didn’t hate her after all?

“Of course I know who you are. You’re the pitiful Gryffindor wannabe.” Snape sneered as he began putting his potions materials away.

“You don’t even know me,” Cate coolly stated as she left the classroom with her belongings. So much for being nice to him.
Chapter 3 by Muinthil
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the wonderful reviews! Let us know what you think of this next one!!! Chapter 4 will be up soon.
Chapter 3

“Cate! Wait up!” Samiya called out as she and Lily caught up to her in staircase, after leaving the classroom. Cate slowed down a bit as the two girls reached her.

“What was that all about?” Lily asked, noticing how Cate had stormed out the classroom door. She usually waited for them but hadn’t even given her or Samiya a second look.

“Sorry. Snape was just being a git.” Cate sighed as they headed outside for their afternoon break. “He was the one that made Potter and Black’s potion explode.”

“Well I could have told you that.” Samiya laughed. They were all used to the ongoing feud between the Marauders and the Slytherin boy. No one really knew why it had began in the first place, but it had started back in their first year hadn’t come to an end yet. “But really, Cate, it’s not like they were innocent to begin with. They probably deserved what happened to some extent.”

“I just think it’s dumb,” Cate replied, shrugging lightly as they took a seat under one of the trees near the edge of the lake.

“Why do you care so much anyway?” Lily asked. Usually Cate just rolled her eyes and ignored the actions of the boys. She never talked to either the Marauders or Snape much anyway.

“I don’t care,” Cate protested. “Their fighting is just really immature. I mean we’re seventh years. They need to grow up!”

“I think you like him.” Samiya grinned teasingly. Cate looked at her, surprised.

“Like who? Snape?” she asked bewildered. “I’ve hardly said two words to him.”

“You’re just in denial.” Samiya grinned, enjoying egging her friend on. It was hard to get Cate riled up but it was fun when she finally did. “I mean think about it, Lily. She’s probably never even spoken to Snape until yesterday on the train. There she defended him against James and Sirius. Then today she’s his potions partner.”

“You’re insane!” Cate declared, blushing slightly.

“She does have a point, Cate.” Lily grinned. “This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.”

“Ugh! I can’t believe you just used the word beautiful in relation to Severus Snape!” Samiya groaned, making gagging gestures. Cate just rolled her eyes and laughed at her friends.

“Well if I like Snape so much, then you two must be desperately in love with Sirius and James,” Cate said, turning the tables on her friends. She wasn’t about to let them get away with teasing her. Samiya fell back onto the grass, acting like Cate had just killed her.

“Even if James was the last boy on earth, I still wouldn’t look at him twice,” Lily argued, shuddering slightly. The thought of falling in love with James Potter was too much to bear. “I mean he’s so in love with himself, he wouldn’t have any love left over for me.”

“That’s not true, Lily. He’s been asking you out since first year,” Samiya chimed in, looking up at her friend.

“And have I even once stopped to consider his offer?” she replied with raised eyebrows.

“I don’t know, have you?” Cate asked, grinning. Lily looked at her with a sickened expression. “I’ll take that as a no.”

“Well I would probably date James before I would date Sirius, if I had to choose,” Samiya said thoughtfully.

“Are you kidding? James is so much worse then Sirius,” Lily argued. She couldn’t imagine anyone even thinking of dating James.

“At least James knows how to treat a girl for the most part. Sirius has a new girl every few weeks. Potter has at least stayed committed to you even though you two aren’t even in a relationship,” she reasoned.

“You know, she does have a point,” Cate stated. James would make the better boyfriend when comparing him to Sirius. Sirius had dated most of the girls in their year, except for the girls in Slytherin. The rivalry was too strong for him to start looking in the Slytherin house for any possible snogs.

“Oh shut up. You like Snape!” Lily shot back. Cate looked at her with wide eyes as Samiya burst out laughing. The look on her face was just too much!


It was later in the evening when Cate finally made her way back to the Slytherin common room. After dinner, she had retreated to the library to work on her homework, while Samiya and Lily headed off to Gryffindor Tower. Cate was one of the few students using the library that evening since it was only the first day of school. It usually took a few days for the students to get back into the schoolwork mode. Cate preferred having the library to herself. There were fewer distractions and the more time she took, the less time she had to spend with her housemates.

As she walked down into the dungeons, where the Slytherin rooms were located, she prayed that no one would be around. At least the specific people who had decided to make her life hell, that being Narcissa Black and her little group. Her prayers were, unfortunately, not answered as she slipped into the common room. Taking up the seats on the black leather couches were Narcissa Black, her best friend Janet Armstrong, Wilkes, Avery, and Severus Snape.

“Well, well. If it isn’t the Gryffindor wannabe.” Narcissa sneered as she noticed Cate trying to slip by, heading towards the stairs leading to the girls’ dormitory. Cate cringed as the snickers of her housemates. Luck definitely was not on her side tonight!

“With your family being such strong purebloods, I can’t imagine why you would want to hang around with Rosa and Evans. I guess you’re just the black sheep of the Bajer household,” Narcissa continued. Cate glared at them but didn’t respond.

There was some truth to what the blonde Slytherin said. Her parents didn’t approve of her choice in friends. In fact, they chose to ignore the fact that she was friends with a Muggle-born and the daughter of an Auror. Narcissa’s group laughed and jeered at her as she made her way to her room, desperate for some solitude. She didn’t even notice that there was one person who did not join in the teasing, that person being Severus Snape.
Chapter 4 by Muinthil
Chapter 4

As soon as James and Sirius left the Hospital Wing, with considerably less hair than they had yesterday, they immediately began plotting their revenge against Severus Snape. Something bigger, badder, and more embarrassing than the fiasco that occurred in Professor Slughorn’s classroom. If Snivellus thought he could get the best of them, he was sorely mistaken…he should’ve learned that lesson during their first year!

“All right; let’s think, boys! This shouldn’t be difficult,” James said as they walked towards their first class of the day - Transfiguration. “We always have the upper hand over him, and that’s bloody well not going to change now!”

“You could try inflating his head. Oh wait! I forgot you and Sirius already did that,” Peter suggested, remembering that they had already used that on Bertram Aubrey last term. It cost them a double detention when his head swelled to twice its normal size. It was quite funny actually and well worth the detention.

“Please tell me you have a good idea, Moony!” James was growing impatient as Remus silently pondered his answer. It was usually easy for them to find ways to get back at Severus Snape, but today none of them could think of anything original. Everything they thought of had either already been done before, or was simply not big enough.

“I’m sure I found a really good one while I was reading my new book. I’ll look at it after class and let you know.”

“What about it, Padfoot? Think we can wait until after class?” James was particularly puzzled by Sirius’ attitude this morning. Sirius was always excited about pranking someone, but today his mind was elsewhere. He had barely said a word all morning.

“Sure, James,” he mumbled before he went back to thinking about the day before. He had asked himself the same question many times but he still didn’t have the answer. Who does Rosa think she is anyway? Does she honestly think that because she’s an Auror’s daughter she’s better than anyone else? And why did he, Sirius Black, care what she thought? She was just a girl. Good for one thing and one thing only.

Just as soon as those thoughts entered his mind, he caught sight of Samiya and Lily entering the classroom. Well, one thing was for sure…it wasn’t over just yet!

“What’s his problem?” James asked Remus and Peter as Sirius walked away without saying another word. Running inside the classroom, Sirius caught sight of an empty desk right behind Samiya.

“Can you believe her? And then she said…. What are you doing here?” Samiya added, after finally noticing Sirius sitting right behind them, watching the two girls with a clearly amused expression. He leaned back in the chair, making himself comfortable.

“Isn’t this an empty desk?”

“Yes, but your friends are on the other side of the classroom, Black. What do you want?”

“Just thought I’d try a change of scenery.” He smiled innocently, leaning back in his chair. He couldn’t help but smile at Samiya’s confused expression. She obviously couldn’t tell what his true intentions were in regards to sitting behind her and Lily.

“I see you shaved.” Both girls laughed loudly at Samiya’s comment. Besides a few stray hairs here and there, both James and Sirius seemed to be back to normal. However, it would take a long time to forget that just yesterday they looked like two hairy bears.

“HA HA! Very funny.” Sirius frowned, leaning towards the girls. “You’re laughing now, but just wait till the both of you see what we have planned for Snivellus,” he added as Professor McGonagall entered the classroom. Tilting back his chair, he couldn’t help but smile at the fact that Samiya was going to pay dearly for her comment.

It didn’t take long for Sirius to notice how hard Samiya worked in every one of her classes. Evans and Rosa were a regular pair of teacher’s pets! It was either one or the other that usually had the right answers, and when not being a know-it-all, Samiya was writing down as much as she could.

“Psst… Rosa.”

“Yes, Black?” Samiya replied, not bothering to look back at Sirius. She was still half-paying attention to the class which was a review of non-verbal spells.

“Can you hand me an extra quill? I forgot mine.”

“Ask someone who cares,” she replied, copying the notes from the board.

“Then I have no other choice than to talk to you the rest of the class.” Samiya turned around roughly. What was he trying to pull? Get her to fail Transfiguration?

“Leave me alone. Can’t you see we’re in the middle of class?”

Sirius smirked, leaning back in his chair once more. Getting her mad was easier than he thought, and of course it had its advantages. She looked cute when she was mad. Samiya turned back towards the front of the classroom, trying to catch up with the material.

“Why don’t you stop pretending to ignore me and talk to me? I’m bored, you know,” Sirius continued, rolling up a spare piece of parchment and throwing it at her head. He could hear her grumbling to Lily as she grabbed the piece of parchment from where it had landed on her table.

“Who says I’m pretending?” Samiya turned around once more, throwing it back at his face.

“Miss Rosa and Mr. Black, do you want to share your conversation with the rest of class?” They were being so loud that they hadn’t noticed that Professor McGonagall had stopped her lecture.

“No, Professor,” they both replied.

“Very well then. Let us continue with the lesson.” But Samiya didn’t get to hear much of the lesson as Sirius kept poking her in the back for the next five minutes. This was the last straw! The next time Sirius Black did anything to interrupt her; he’d be getting the verbal lashing of his life!

“Oh, Rosa?”

“THAT IS IT! Can’t you get it through your big head that I DON’T want to talk to you? LEAVE ME ALONE!”

“Miss Rosa, what is the meaning of this outburst?” Samiya was so angry she had forgotten she was in the middle of class. Glancing around, she could see Professor McGonagall looking livid. Her lips were pursed in a tight line and her eyes flashed warningly. Samiya mumbled a quick apology before turning forward again; not before giving Sirius a dirty look.

“And Mr. Black, do I even have to ask what you did?”

“It’s not my fault she’s desperate to date me.” He smirked, running a hand through his dark hair.

“I wouldn’t date you even if my life depended on it,” Samiya retorted. The nerve of him! Telling everyone that she wanted to date him! Samiya couldn’t deny that he was attractive, but why would she ever consider dating anyone as conceited as him?

“Frankly, I do not care if you want to date each other but leave the shameless flirting out of classroom where it belongs. I’ll see the both of you in detention tonight for your lack of respect for your fellow students, who actually want to pay attention to the class.”

“But I didn’t do anything! It was his fault!” Samiya yelled, pointing at Sirius, who took the opportunity to blow her a kiss. Lily had to hold Samiya back from killing him at this point.

“Would you like another detention, Miss Rosa?”

“No. I’m sorry, Professor,” Samiya said, forcing herself to calm down a bit, afraid of what shade of crimson McGonagall’s face was going to turn next.

------------------------------------------------------------

Samiya stormed into the Transfiguration classroom ready to get her detention done as quickly as possible. She hadn’t had a detention in years! Not since she became serious about becoming an Auror, and Sirius Black landed her in a detention in just one day. Part of her really wanted to get another detention just for killing him, but what good would that do? Well, it would take that smirk off his face that he had all day after telling everyone that she wanted to date him! And to think she had spent the rest of the day trying to avoid all his jealous admirers and ex-girlfriends who suddenly marked her as an enemy.

“Good. He’s not here yet,” Samiya said to herself as she began cleaning one side of the Transfiguration classroom. She made sure to grab the cleaner area of the classroom before Sirius could get there. It was the least he could do after embarrassing her like that! Soon, however, her thoughts were interrupted by the person she had now dubbed as the bane of her existence.

“So all we have to do is clean this? Not bad at all.” Sirius took a seat at an empty desk opposite Samiya. “I’ve had worse detentions with James.”

“Save it for someone who cares.”

“Jeez... A little touchy tonight are we, Rosa?” James was right; both of these girls were too serious. They were seventeen for crying out loud! “I was just having a little fun with you.” Samiya stopped cleaning, turning towards Sirius in disbelief.

“You mean having a little bit of fun at my expense. I particularly enjoyed the part where I was threatened by half the girls at Hogwarts.” She couldn’t even understand why she continued to talk to him but as soon as she began, it was hard to stop talking. “Apparently there’s a rumor going around that we’re dating. Could you even imagine how that happened?”

“Just half the girls? Wow, I’m losing my touch.” Sirius laughed. Although he did feel a little guilty about what he did, it was kind of funny to imagine all the death threats Samiya must’ve gotten from the girls at school. Too bad she didn’t see it the same way.

The rest of the night seemed to drag on slowly, as Sirius attempted to make conversation with Samiya. He would’ve probably had more luck talking to the wall than his detention partner!

“So when are you going to shut up?” Sirius looked at Samiya, puzzled by her attitude. Most of the girls he dated had no problems with him talking about himself. Or maybe it was fact that they were trying to impress him. Sirius didn’t really know.

“When are you going to start talking to me?” Sirius retorted, causing Samiya to sigh. It was enough to drive her crazy! Samiya had chosen to ignore him all night. It was either that, or kill him. Every word that came out of his mouth was something about either himself of one of his friends… It was sickening. And Samiya Rosa had had enough.

“If it will get you to stop talking about your bloody adventures, I just might. All right, what do you want to know?”

“Well, I don’t know! School, Quidditch, friends, the future… whatever you want to talk about.” Samiya took a seat right across from her classmate, pleasantly surprised at his answer.

“School’s fine. A lot of work but I’m trying to take it day by day. Besides, having Lily and Cate as your friends doesn’t hurt either. As for Quidditch, I can’t wait till our first match against Slytherin. I practiced a few new moves over the summer that might help us win. Cate and Lily are fine. And as for future… what can I say?”

“You have big plans for it. It seems as if you have your whole future planned out.” Samiya’s face brightened at Sirius’ comment. He never seemed the type of guy to pay attention to those things. But then again, in a family like hers, your career was bound to be important.

“I’ve dreamed about taking my place beside my family since I was a little girl.” Every one of them was doing something important in the war, whether it was by working in the ministry or healing the sick and wounded. Samiya couldn’t have been more proud of them.

“I didn’t really know what I wanted to do until I was fifteen. The night my brother-in-law was murdered. It sparked something in me. And from that day on I knew I wanted to be an Auror like my father and brother. Fighting dark wizards, saving lives, making a difference in the world around us. I’m sorry; you probably think I’m being silly.” She hadn’t meant to act so emotional in front of Sirius, but it was a matter close to her heart. She still missed her older sister, Ana’s, husband. It had been the first time she had experienced the grief of losing of loved one. Although she was still grieving, she was now even more determined to fight against Voldemort and his followers once she was of age.

“I don’t think you’re being silly at all.” Sirius couldn’t help but be impressed with her. It was an honorable dream and something he completely admired. “And I understand you a little better than you think.”

“Really?”

“Being an Auror is the only thing that I could ever do after the war.” It was the second time Sirius Black had left her speechless in a night. She had always assumed that he and James Potter never took anything seriously, including their future careers.

“The ministry is going to need all the help they can get in this war. Besides, what better way can I stand against people like my family?” he continued, lost in his thoughts. The ultimate act of defiance against his family would be to fight against everything they stand for.

“I think you’ll be a great Auror.” Samiya smiled. She could see the same fire in his eyes that her father had. The same passion in his voice that she had when she spoke about it. And it was obvious that Sirius had a love for the action and adventure that a career like that brought you. It was evident by all his adventures with James, Remus and Peter.

“Thank you.” Now he was the one who was speechless. That was probably the first compliment Samiya had given him in seven years. Not only that but it was one of the nicest he’d ever received in his life.

“Now do you think you can tell your fan club to back off and leave me alone?”

“Why? You mean you don’t want to date me?”

“Sirius Black, I’m warning you!”

“All right! Calm down.”

The rest of the night passed by quickly, as Samiya and Sirius had gone back to bickering as they usually did. But their dislike had been replaced with a new sense of respect and admiration that finding a common dream will bring you. Maybe they could learn to become friends eventually, despite the fact that Sirius was too immature and Samiya was too uptight for their own tastes. Only time will tell if that would happen.
Chapter 5 by Muinthil
Chapter Five

Severus Snape sat at the table in the back corner of the Three Broomsticks, watching his fellow students laughing and shouting throughout the pub. It was the first Hogsmeade weekend of the term and Lucius Malfoy had written to him, instructing Snape to meet him there. Snape wasn’t sure what Malfoy wanted to discuss, but wasn’t really surprised by the last minute request. Malfoy had taken him under his wing during his first year at Hogwarts. They had maintained their friendship even after Malfoy graduated from Hogwarts five years ago.

“Severus,” Lucius greeted as he strode haughtily up to the table. Snape stood from his seat and shook hands with his friend with a slight smile on his face. “I’m glad that you received my message.” Lucius took a seat across from table and quickly signaled for a fire whiskey from the bartender.

“What is it that you wished to speak to me about?” Snape asked, fiddling lightly with the mug of butterbeer in front of him.

“There’s time for that. First I want to hear how your last year at Hogwarts is going so far? Still having trouble with the Gryffindors?” Malfoy inquired. Snape was slightly surprised that Lucius was interested. They usually got right to the point, and then Malfoy was out the door. It seemed that he had other plans this time.

“It is going well. Potter and Black are as bothersome as always. Although, they seemed to have some difficulty in Potions a few weeks ago.” He smirked, still proud of causing the mishap in class. Lucius chuckled, remembering the pranks and fights between the boys back when Snape was in his first and second year.

“I’m sure they did. So… Are there any prospects in the female department this year?” Snape was surprised at the question. It was not a topic that was usually brought up between them. They usually talked about something Lucius found interesting, such as dealing with the Dark Arts or for a needed favor; never about his life. Personal life mattered not when it came down to business.

“I haven’t noticed,” Snape replied, carefully. Just what was Malfoy getting at?

“Well, have you thought about dating? Or even the prospect of marriage?” Lucius asked, taking a sip of his whiskey.

“This is what you thought was so imperative to meet with me about?”

“I believe that marriage could be the key into the higher status that you are worthy of. Status and reputation are everything when it comes to success. I can only help you so much, Severus. My advice is for you to marry into a wealthy, pureblood family which would give you instant recognition in Society.” Snape gave the blonde wizard a look saying that he had lost his mind.

“I understand that you are not the most sociable person. In the years that I have known you, you have never even mentioned a girl. Now what I was thinking was an arranged marriage. It’s actually a lot more common then many people think. I, myself, am undergoing such an arrangement,” Lucius stated.

“You and Narcissa Black have an arranged marriage?” Snape asked surprised. The way that he had heard Narcissa talk, her and Lucius were deeply in love.

“Yes, and it is a good match. Both of our parents set it up and I believe it will be very beneficial to both of our futures.”

“Whose parents would agree to have me marry their daughter?” Snape scoffed, thinking about his low status in society and lack of reputation. Not to mention he wasn’t exactly a pureblooded wizard, his lowly father being a muggle.

“You needn’t worry about that. I will speak to the family on your behalf. In fact, there happen to be several prospects, which I think would be excellent matches for you. All I need is your consent and I will begin investigating further into the girls.”

“Do you really think that something like this would be that valuable?” Snape was still skeptic about the whole idea. He never really pictured himself settling down and getting married. Especially at such a young age.

“I believe it is crucial, Severus. In fact, I insist on it,” Lucius affirmed, his cold eyes glinting with authority. There really was no way Snape could say no. He slumped down into his chair in resignation.

“Just don’t pick some annoying twit who doesn’t know one end of her wand from the other.” Snape sighed, giving his permission to be set with an arranged marriage. What was he getting himself into? Lucius grinned, satisfied that his friend had agreed to the plan. Glancing around the pub as he took another sip of his drink, he noticed a table of three girls not far from where they sat. One of the girls in particular caught his eye.

“Is that Catalina Bajer?”

“You mean Cate?” Snape asked, glancing curiously over his shoulder to find the girls sitting nearby, laughing and talking loudly. He scowled at them, turning back to his friend.

“I almost forgot that she still attends Hogwarts,” Lucius said thoughtfully. He quickly drained his drink and set it down on the table. He got up quickly from his seat and headed superiorly over to the girls’ table, with Snape following childishly in tow, albeit a little broodingly.

“Catalina Bajer.” Lucius smiled seedily, approaching the Slytherin girl. Cate looked up, sounding surprised at the sound of someone using her full name.

“Lucius! What are you doing here?” she asked, amazed to see him anywhere near Hogwarts; she hadn’t seen him since he graduated. Lucius smoothly reached out, kissing the top of Cate’s hand in a formal greeting. Both Samiya and Lily shared a look, trying to hide their laughter.

“Simply visiting an old friend. Who may these two lovely ladies be?” he asked, turning to the girls, with the kindness in his gesture not reflecting in his eyes.

“This is Samiya Rosa and Lily Evans, my two best friends,” Cate said. “Girls, this is Lucius Malfoy.” Samiya looked at him callously and then simply turned to Lily without a word to the blond wizard, purposely being rude. Both Samiya and Lily remembered Lucius from when he was still at Hogwarts. He was not the nicest person, especially to Muggle-borns.

“I was just over at your house a few nights ago, discussing some business with your father.” Lucius commented. “It seems like ages since I have been over to your estate - since your mother stopped having the New Year’s Gala.” Cate’s parents used to host a party every New Year’s Eve until Cate started school. It became too difficult with her traveling back and forth for the holidays so they hadn’t had it the past few years.

“I actually think Mother is planning on having it this year. She misses planning such a big event.” Cate explained, with a small smile. Her mother was the typical pureblood socialite, focusing her time and efforts on attending and hosting various events throughout society.

“I will be awaiting my invitation then.” Lucius smiled. “But I’m afraid I must go now. I have some business to finish with Severus and then must return to the Manor.”

“It was good seeing you, Lucius.” She watched as the two of them headed outside, pushing crudely past a group of third years as they came into the tavern. She hadn’t been aware that Snape and Malfoy had continued their friendship outside of Hogwarts. That was interesting.

“Since when have you been close friends with Malfoy?” Samiya demanded, turning Cate’s attention back to the table.

“He’s an old friend of the family. Our parents have been friends since childhood, but I wouldn’t call us friends. More like… acquaintances. I haven’t seen him since he graduated though.” Cate shrugged lightly, trying to not make a big deal over it.

“I feel like there’s a whole another part of you that I don’t know about!” Lily teased. Cate just rolled her eyes.

“You’re both nutters.”

It didn’t go unnoticed to both friends that Samiya had remained unusually quiet after her recent outburst over Cate’s connection to Lucius. She continued to gaze outside the window, lost in her own thoughts until Cate tapped her softly on the shoulder.

“Is everything all right, Samiya?”

“Everything’s fine. Why do you ask?”

“Well for starters, you were rather rude to Lucius Malfoy a few moments ago.” Lily stated, with a look of concern. While Samiya was capable of being rather blunt in her dislike of others, there really wasn’t a reason for her to treat Lucius Malfoy that way. Lucius, no matter what he did at school, had never once bothered any of them.

Samiya sighed before replying, “My father is heading up an investigation on the Malfoys and their recent activities. It’s been hard to find evidence on any of the members of the family but father is sure that they’re following You Know Who.” Cate and Lily both noticed that she had gone slightly pale. Of course this information wasn’t new to Cate. She knew what circle the Malfoys ran in”the same one as her parents. However, she chose to keep her mouth closed about Samiya’s comment. Cate worked hard at keeping her family’s secrets as hidden as possible.

“Apparently they…they’ve done terrible things that I shouldn’t even be talking about. I just have a bad feeling about him.” Samiya added, nervously before quickly changing the subject. “Who wants to go to Honeyduke’s?”

Cate and Lily glanced at each other briefly, confused at the rapid change in their friend. But nevertheless, they agreed to go to Honeyduke’s. Maybe it was for the best to not press the matter any further. There was enough talk about the war every day to have it ruin their days in Hogsmeade, which seemed like living in a dream that was bound to end soon.

“Well if it isn’t the three most beautiful girls in all of Hogwarts!” James Potter remarked as he bumped into the girls on their way to Honeyduke’s. It wasn’t hard to spot the red haired object of his affection through the crowd, and wherever Lily was, her best friends were guaranteed to be close behind.

“Not today, Potter,” Lily remarked as the girls passed by; it was particularly crowded that day in Hogsmeade and Lily had hoped to lose him the crowd, but sure enough, James and his friends continued to follow them into Honeyduke’s. She couldn’t remember how many times Potter had tried to speak with her on a daily basis but at this point, he should have taken a hint by now.

“Don't frown, Evans. You'll never know who might be falling in love with your smile.” James grinned while opening the door dramatically for her to enter. Wow…Lily did have to admit, that was probably the sweetest thing James had ever said to her. Of course, leave it to her friends to ruin the mood as Cate and Samiya broke into a fit of giggles.

“Thank you, James.” Lily smiled hesitantly. James, who took the opportunity to nudge Sirius, knew this was his one chance to say something that would sweep Lily Evans off her feet once and for all.

“Hey Evans, the boys and I were talking and congratulations! You've been voted Most Beautiful Girl in Hogwarts."

“What?” Lily replied, slightly confused by his declaration. James ruffled his hair carelessly before arrogantly replying,

“And the grand prize is a date with me!” He flashed the girls a broad smile. James’ chance to sweep Lily Evans off her feet had come and gone, as she took the opportunity to roll her eyes and walk away irritated, towards the display of chocoballs on a shelf. Now James was the one left confused as Sirius patted him sympathetically on the back.

“Bad luck, Prongs. Now watch and see how it’s done,” he added, looking towards Samiya. After exchanging a quick hello with the boys she had made her way inside to stock up on sugar quills, which she always had an endless supply of. Sirius casually walked towards her knowing exactly what to say. It had worked for him more than a few times and with Samiya - it wouldn’t be any different.

“Oy, Samiya!” Most of the customers present at Honeyduke’s turned towards Sirius as he yelled at the girls. He wanted to make sure that James could hear what he was doing so he’d have to be louder than usual.

“Yes, Sirius?” Samiya continued to look at the new sugar quill flavors before Sirius dangled two tickets teasingly in front of her face. His eyes glinted with amusement as he looked down at her. “What are those?” She asked curiously. (Sugar quill has a space in it; I added one above.)

“These, are tickets to the sold out Caerphilly Catapults versus Pride of Portee game on December twenty-seventh.”

“No way!” Samiya squealed, as she grabbed a ticket from his hands while carefully inspecting it. “They’re also doing a tribute to Dai Llewellyn there! How’d you get these? I’ve been trying for weeks to get a ticket for this game!”

“Well,” he replied, taking the ticket back nonchalantly from her hands. “Let’s just say that I have good connections. I do happen to have an extra ticket so I was wondering if you knew anyone who’d be interested in going with me to the game…” It was easier than he thought since Dai Llewellyn just so happened to be Samiya’s favorite Quidditch player of all time. Samiya grabbed onto Sirius and with a not so subtle hint of desperation.

“What do you want in exchange for that ticket? Money? Homework? What?”

“Oh…so you mean you’d love to go with me to the game?” Sirius turned towards Remus, Peter, and James hoping they were catching every single word of this conversation, which was going unusually well for him.

“Well isn’t it obvious! What do you want me to do? Beg?!”

“I’m sure that we can come up with something.” In a swift moment, he had Samiya pinned against the wall. “So what do you say to you and I taking a walk around Hogsmeade and you can work on convincing me to give you that extra ticket.” His voice had an arrogant smirk, confident that she was falling head over heels for him.

“How?” She asked nervously. What was he doing? One moment they were having a normal conversation and the next he looked as if he were going to kiss her at any moment. She could feel her heart beginning to beat a little faster as he softly caressed her cheek.

“You know what I’m talking about, Sam.” He began to lean in closer. Samiya quickly looked to her friends for help and caught sight of James, Remus and Peter looking intently at them. Of course! It was all an act to impress his friends! Well two could play the same game.

Before Sirius could kiss her, Samiya began to laugh. She laughed loud enough to capture everyone’s attention. He quickly pulled away from her as a combination of embarrassment and confusion had taken over.

“Wow… that has to be the most ridiculous and dim witted attempt to ask a girl on a date I’ve ever seen. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some sugar quills to pay for.” Samiya softly pushed by Sirius, who at this point had gone temporarily mute in order to join her friends, who were also laughing at Sirius’ failed attempts.

What in the world just happened? This was the first time a girl had ever made him look like a complete fool. What did he do wrong? In his opinion, it was absolutely flawless! Samiya would never turn down tickets to that game and she certainly wouldn’t turn down a chance to snog him! No…he was sure he had seen something in her eyes, and as hard as she tried, Samiya couldn’t hide the nervous tone in her voice. It was all an act on her part and he’d get her to admit to it if it was the last thing he ever did!

“Samiya, wait!” Running past his friends he made his way outside where the girls where preparing to head back to the school. “You’re a terrible liar, did you know that?”

“Am I really?” She asked, slightly arching an eyebrow.

“I saw it in your eyes. You’re falling for me and you know it.” Sirius said, roughly pulling her close to him. She wasn’t about to make him look like a fool in front of their friends. “Now, when are you going to admit to it?”

“Never.” She spat at him, clearly disgusted by the very idea. She shoved him away and stormed off down the street.

Frowning slightly, Sirius entered Honeyduke’s once more. Samiya, Lily and Cate were on their way back to Hogwarts, probably having a good laugh at his expense along the way. That was fine. It’s not like he wanted to really date her anyway. He was just trying to help James. Besides, Samiya was too uptight for his tastes. “That went smoothly, don’t you think?” He joked as soon as he caught sight of his friends inside the store.

“Come on boys, it’s their loss. Besides, we have a prank we have to play on Snivellus,” James replied, though not quite enthusiastically. Lily Evans had refused him once more. But right now they had other important things to attend to.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=71229