Your Guardian Angel by PheonixAnimagus
Summary: A short songfic inspired by the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus song "Your Guardian Angel". Hermione awakens from a terrifying dream to find Ron there, comforting her. But she still isn't sure if she can trust him not to leave her...




*Post last battle.*
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1167 Read: 4063 Published: 08/11/07 Updated: 08/27/07

1. I Promise by PheonixAnimagus

I Promise by PheonixAnimagus
Disclaimer: Thank you, JK Rowling, for letting me play in your world. I do not claim that any of it belongs to me.




~~~




Hermione was in Malfoy Manor. She clenched her fists and tried hard to concentrate on the cold, unforgiving grey granite walls. Her tormentor, grinning widely, exclaimed, "Crucio!"




All she could comprehend was the pain. Hermione knew she was dying, and wanted to give in to it. She closed her eyes, and tried to think of nothing. It was a relief.




Suddenly a voice broke through to her. "HERMIONE!" Ron sobbed from the room below, his voice breaking. "HERMIONE!"




She heard a loud banging against the stone floor below her before the pain intensified again and she could listen no more. Then, over her own screams of agony, Hermione heard the woman's voice- and this was when it changed.




"Draco, bring up that boy," Bellatrix ordered harshly, before shooting another Cruciatus curse at Hermione.




Then Ron was there, and he was running towards Hermione. Suddenly Bellatrix laughed coldly, and a green jet of light shot out of her wand. It was aimed right for Hermione, who was so paralyzed with pain and fear, she could not have moved away even if she had known enough to do so.




Ron sprinted and jumped in front of the jet of light. He caught it directly in his broad chest and fell to the ground right next to where Hermione lay. His clear blue eyes were blank, and Hermione fell to his side, the noise of her own wracking sobs seeming to shake the mansion to its core.




~~~




Ron's eyes opened. It was two in the morning. He pulled on a maroon Weasley sweater and walked down the narrow, creaking stairs to Percy's old room.




He opened the door quietly, and entered the room, which was still decorated with badges and posters from Percy's Hogwarts days. Ron immediately saw Hermione, face down on her pillow, shaking with the force of her tears. He slowly approached and sat on the side of her bed, rubbing her back.




"Hermione…" Ron whispered, "You're okay, shhh…"




Slowly, Hermione quieted, turned towards him, and rubbed her eyes blearily. "I had that dream again," she whispered, an errant tear sliding down her nose.




Ron lay down next to her on the bed and wrapped her in a hug. "I'm not going anywhere," he said emphatically, stroking her hair. He pulled her closer, and Hermione's ear was against Ron's chest. She could hear his heartbeat, erratic, and she smiled slightly. She turned her face to his. "Don't leave."




I will never let you fall;

I'll stand up with you forever.





"Never," Ron promised. His breath was coming quickly now, as he kissed her.




I'll be there for you through it all…

Even if saving you sends me to heaven.





She broke away, scowling suspiciously. "Do you swear, Ron Weasley?"




When I see your smile,

Tears run down my face, I can't replace…





He held her face in both of his large, freckled hands, softly, as if she was something important, fragile. "Yes, I swear, Hermione Granger."




And now that I'm stronger I've figured out…

How this world turns cold and breaks through my soul,

And I know I'll find deep inside me I can be the one.





Hermione began to cry again. She buried her face in his shoulder. Muffled, she said, "I'd really like to believe that, but I don't know if I can, Ron." Ron could feel her tears on his cheek, and they were joined by his own.




It's ok. It's ok. It's ok.

Seasons are changing,

And waves are crashing,

And stars are falling, all for us.





"Well, you should," he said, rocking her slightly.




Days grow longer and nights grow shorter,

I can show you I'll be the one.





"Why?" Hermione hiccupped.




I will never let you fall.

I'll stand up with you forever.

I'll be there for you through it all,

Even if saving you sends me to heaven.





"Hermione…" he sighed, "I am so sorry I left, before…I can't believe I let you and Harry down like that. I hate that I hurt you so much. You know now I would have been there as soon as I could…It's no excuse, but I missed you and worried about you every second I was away."




Hermione just stared at him, waiting. Her eyes welled up as she remembered.




"I was really mad," she whispered.




"I know," Ron said, his face slightly pink. "You had the right to be."




Hermione cocked her head to the side, quizzically, before pulling him down next to her on the bed. With a shiver, she snuggled into his chest, and pulled up the blankets over herself.




Ron hugged Hermione, wanting to keep her warm if it was the last thing he did. He held her hand, tracing the outline of her fingers with his own.




"Hermione, I love you. Since second year, and I always will. I would take a Killing Curse for you, okay? Even if that does sound sort of unoriginal. But anyway, I'm not going to up and leave." Ron was surprised that the words had been so easy for him to say, but they were the truth. He kissed her, hard, everything they had been through just bringing them closer together.




'Cause you're my, you're my, my true love, my whole heart…

Please don't throw that away,

'Cause I'm here for you.





"I…I love you too, Ron," she whispered breathlessly, wanting nothing but to be with him forever.




Please don't walk away,

Please tell me you'll stay, stay.





"Do you swear, Hermione Granger?" Ron looked intensely into Hermione's warm eyes, which were still full of sleep.




"Yes, I swear, Ron Weasley," Hermione laughed a little, and wriggled closer to him. It was an amazing feeling to finally tell Ron she loved him, and even more amazing that he had said it first. "I love you- you have no idea how long I've wanted to say that to you."




I will never let you fall,

I'll stand up with you forever.





"I think I might," Ron whispered hoarsely, but Hermione was already fast asleep. He kissed her softly on the cheek, careful not to wake her, and crept out of Percy's old bedroom and up to his own.




Ron tiptoed by Harry, who was snoring soundly on his cot, and climbed under his Chudley Cannons quilt. Ron closed his eyes, and whispered, "I promise," under his breath. And even though she was asleep several rooms below him, Ron knew Hermione understood. He fell into unconsciousness with a slight smile on his face.




I'll be there for you through it all,

Even if saving you sends me to heaven…





~~~




A/N: Thanks to Red Jumpsuit Apparatus for the amazing song, "Your Guardian Angel". You are my inspiration.




As always, I love reviews, so drop a line if you have a minute! Thanks so much for reading, everyone.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=71303