Partings by Cheshlin
Summary: Remus goes to a meeting of the Order of the Phoenix and has a drink with his Hogwarts friends afterwards. This is my version of his last conversation with James inspired by a challenge in the Slytherin Common Room's Snake Pit.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1077 Read: 1810 Published: 09/06/07 Updated: 09/13/07

1. Partings by Cheshlin

Partings by Cheshlin
Remus Lupin walked into the meeting of the Order of the Phoenix after it had already started and sat in a chair place by the door so he didn’t disrupt things. Sirius Black, James and Lily Potter, and Peter Pettigrew were seated together towards the front. Albus Dumbledore was finishing talking as Remus tried to figure out what was being said.



Different Order members gave their reports on Death Eater activity. Nothing new seemed to be happening. Muggleborn wizards and witches were still being targeted, and Muggles were being kept in the dark. No where seemed safe from attacks, since a family had been attacked in Gringotts Wizarding Bank just a few days ago. The goblins stopped the attack before the children were killed, but their mother was gravely injured and their father killed. The goblins weren’t taking sides, but they won’t put up with attacks in their domain. Finally everyone with something to say was finished, and the meeting broke up.



Remus made his way over to his friends, stopping to say hello to several people along the way. “Sorry I was late. I had a few things I had to do on my way here.” Remus leaned over, and hugged Lily and offered his hand to his friends.



James shook his hand, but Sirius turned as if he hadn’t seen Remus’ offered hand. Peter just stood there looking uncomfortable.



“I was hoping we could stop for a drink before you had to get back to your homes. We haven’t had time to visit in a while.” Remus looked at James and Lily and added, “I know that you have Harry to get back to, but one drink won’t take too long.”



“Our neighbor is watching Harry, and I just don’t feel safe having him there by himself. I don’t mind if James goes for a drink, as long as it doesn’t turn into a late night.” Lily gave everyone a hug, and left the room.



James and Sirius looked at each other as if passing a secret message. They had looks on their faces that Remus couldn’t figure out. This was highly unusual, since he knew all their looks. It seemed like a cross between their mischievous look and their caught doing something wrong look. Remus couldn’t figure out why that would be.



James turned back to Remus looking a little upset. “Sure, let’s go to the Leaky Cauldron.

It should be safe enough, though no where is truly safe. I have something to tell you anyhow.”



Sirius gave James a hard look after this last statement. Remus couldn’t figure out what was going on. It seemed like James and Sirius had some issues with him, but he couldn’t figure out what they were.



Maybe he should try to break away from the mission Dumbledore had him working on more often. It was hard to get away, but his friends were too important to let distance come between them. He also didn’t want to admit to them that money had become an issue. Dumbledore had promised to give him a small salary as long as this project was going on. It was the first steady employment he’d had in over a year, and it was nice finally having enough money for food. The drawback was that Albus had asked Remus not to tell anyone what he was working on, and this included his three best friends.



Peter said that he had to be up extremely early the next morning for his job at the Ministry, and he would have to take a rain check on the drink. Remus watched him leave with some sorrow. It would have been nice to have all the Marauders there for once, but he understood. Following Sirius and James, he headed off to the Leaky Cauldron.



At the Leaky Cauldron, the Marauders took a corner booth. Remus and James ordered Butterbeers, but it wasn’t a surprise when Sirius ordered Firewhiskey. Remus felt a distance between him and his friends he had never felt before. Sorrow filled him once again, though the conversation stayed on some pranks they had performed at school.



When all their drinks were getting low, James finally got a serious look on his face and turned to Remus. “I want you to know that you probably won’t be seeing me again for a while. Lily, Harry and I have to go into hiding; we have found out that Voldemort is targeting Harry and his safety is more important then anything Lily and I have going. Sirius had volunteered to be our secret keeper, but Dumbledore thinks it’s best if no one can find us for the time being. When things have calmed down, you will be one of the first people told where to find us.”



“Harry? What could he want with Harry? A baby isn’t much of a target.” Remus thought for moment before adding, “I can understand why you have to go in hiding. I hope that all goes well for you. I will miss you all. The safety of your family must come first.” Remus looked sadly at James, knowing the isolation would be very hard on his outgoing friend. “I hope you can at least send a message on occasion so I know you are well.”



James looked at Sirius for a moment. “I think that can be arranged, Moony. I shall miss our runs on the full moon.”



“You have no idea how much I miss the days Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, and Wormtail roamed the Forbidden Forest. The wolf has become self abusive again, I’m afraid.” Remus clapped hands with his friend. Sorrow and loss seemed to fill both of their eyes.



Remus looked at Sirius and they clapped hands also. Remus felt a small chill go up his spine as his eyes met Sirius’. Distrust seemed to shine there, but given the circumstances, Remus couldn’t think of what to do about it. He would be breaking Dumbledore’s trust if he went into what was going on in his life.



The three friends’ went their own ways. Remus was never to see James alive again. When he met Harry years later, it brought back lots of sorrow. He had failed James, but he would do his best to keep Harry safe. It would have been what James wanted.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=72646