Wonders of the World by FullofLife
Summary: The innocence of childhood, the love in friendship. Lily finds Severus alone one night and tries to find out what is bothering him. One-Shot Song-Fic to Carrie Underwood's version of "I'll Stand by You".
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1030 Read: 1913 Published: 09/20/07 Updated: 09/27/07

1. Wonders of the World by FullofLife

Wonders of the World by FullofLife
Author's Notes:
Thanks to ginnypotter19 for beta work! Yes, my song-fic is a bit different from the norm.
Wonders of the World


“The few wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them.”
- Charles de Lint



‘Severus?’

Lily walks up to her friend. He’s sitting on the small hill behind his house, hunched over, his knees close to his chest, his arms around his head. She has never dared to come this far from her house on her own “ but somehow she felt she had to. Her mum and Petunia had gone shopping, so she decided that it was safe to sneak away for a while.

The night is dark and moonless, but the sky is brimming with stars. A cool breeze skims the trees on the hill, lifts up Lily’s red hair.

‘Sev?’ She kneels down next to him, bites the inside of her cheek, reaches out to touch him “ and then withdraws her hand. She hears him sniffle softly, so softly that for a moment, she thinks she has imagined it. His arms clench more tightly around his knees and head. ‘What’s wrong?’

He looks up and Lily wants to cry.

Oh, why you look so sad? Tears are in your eyes
Come on and come to me now.
Don't be ashamed to cry, let me see you through
Cause I've seen the dark side too.


‘Oh, Severus,’ she says. He gazes at her for only a brief second, before turning away, hiding his face from view. A purple-yellow bruise marks his left cheek.

Now Lily does touch him. She takes his hand, his arms having slackened their grip on his knees. Takes it and holds it with all her might. ‘What happened?’

But he hesitates.

When the night falls on you, you don't know what to do,
Nothing you confess could make me love you less
I'll stand by you, I'll stand by you, won't let nobody hurt you,
I'll stand by you.


‘You can tell me anything,’ says Lily, earnestly. She gives his hand a squeeze. ‘We’re best friends. It’s okay to tell me.’ She moves, so that instead of sitting on his left, she is facing him. ‘Say something. Don’t you dare push me away.’

‘Just leave me alone!’ snarls Severus, bitterer than Lily has ever heard him, angrier than she has ever seen him.

‘Tell me,’ she says. ‘Just say it.’

So, if you're mad get mad, don't hold it all inside,
Come on and talk to me now.
And hey, what you got to hide? I get angry too
But I'm a lot like you.


‘You want to know so badly?! It’s him!’ he roars, pulling his hand away from her. ‘Him!’ He stands up in his fury and Lily matches his action, slightly shocked.

‘He was about to hit her! He was about to hit Mum and “ I’m sick and tired of all of it, of him and EVERYTHING! SO I JUMPED IN FRONT OF HER “ I DIDN’T THINK AND HE HIT ME! NO DIFFERENT FROM USUAL! HE DOES IT ALL THE TIME, I’M USED TO IT! HAPPY? HAPPY NOW THAT YOU KNOW? WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW? LAUGH? CALL ME A COWARD? GO AHEAD! YOU’LL BE JUST LIKE THE REST OF THEM THEN!’ He reaches out and pushes Lily, as hard as he can.

She stumbles backwards for a moment, wind-milling her arms instinctively, before landing hard on her rear. She immediately jumps up as if someone has lit a fire underneath her and runs towards her best friend, her arms stretched out in front of her “ and pushes him with all of her might. He falls back, taken unawares, and Lily falls with him, landing right on top.

When you're standing at the crossroads, don't know which path to choose,
Let me come along, cause even if your wrong
I'll stand by you, I'll stand by you, won't let nobody hurt you,
I'll stand by you.


They both lie there for a moment, her on top of him, glaring daggers at each other. And then finally, Lily rolls off. They lie there on the soft grass together, silent.

‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that,’ says Severus finally. ‘You’re not like the rest of them at all.’ He sounds almost pleading.

Take me into your darkest hour, and I'll never desert you.
I'll stand by you.


‘Next time, just tell me straight out,’ replies Lily. His shouted words are still rolling around her head. Mysteries about him that have puzzled her since the day they met finally seem to come out of the fog. His biggest secret now lies in her heart too. His hatred for his father wells up in her heart, as it does in his. They are, simply, one. ‘What did you think I would do?’

‘Leave,’ said Severus. ‘Call me a liar. People do… they don’t think things like that happen…’

And when, when the night falls on you baby, you're feeling all alone,
You won't be on your own, I'll stand by you. I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you, won't let nobody hurt you. I'll stand by you


Lily rolls onto her side, faces Severus and smiles. She smiles, but inside she burns again, hating everyone who has ever called Severus a liar, who has ever hurt him. How dare they hurt him? How dare they hurt her Severus?

‘You idiot,’ she says. ‘Why would I do that?’ She reaches out again, touches his face, brushing away tear tracks. ‘You’re my best friend. I love you.’

Take me in into your darkest hour and I'll never desert you,


‘You do?’ asks Severus, sounding honestly shocked.

‘Of course!’ cries Lily, laughing.

Laughing that he cannot know such a simple rule of life:

Best friends always love each other.

Forever and ever.

And they stay there, on that hill, and watch the stars twinkle merrily down at them, their hands locked together, their minds and hearts one, linked by the beautiful, unconditional love of childhood friendship.

I'll stand by you.


A/N: Hope you enjoyed that! Review please! It's what writers like me live for! :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=73170