The Return by Kiley
Summary: Tonks' fears for Lupin's safety seem justified when he appears at her door, bleeding and bearing a remarkable story.
Categories: Remus/Tonks Characters: None
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3418 Read: 2399 Published: 09/27/07 Updated: 10/03/07

1. Chapter 1 by Kiley

Chapter 1 by Kiley
Author's Notes:
This story addresses Lupin and Tonks' relationship in the middle of Book Six. All thanks to J.K. Rowling, the mother of them all.

Ted Tonks looked up, frowning, at the heavy pounding on his front door. Who could possibly be here at this hour?

Glancing at his watch, he pulled open the door and stared, taken aback. Before him stood Remus Lupin, face as pale as parchment in the dim light, eyes hooded in exhaustion. Ted gestured wordlessly, waving him inside.

“Hello, Ted,” Lupin said, the words seeming to come only after a great effort. “I’m sorry to disturb you at such a late hour. Would”would Nymphadora be here, by any chance?”

Ted looked closer at the visitor, unsure whether he should welcome him or throw him out into the street. “She’s sitting out in the garden. Likely catch her death, sitting out in the cold, but she won’t come in. She’s been in a right state, worrying about you.”

A flash of pain crossed Lupin’s thin face, then was gone. He looked as if he might fall over at any moment. “I need to speak with her.”

Ted peered closer at him, eyes narrowing. “Are you all right?”

Lupin smiled weakly. “I’ll live.”

“Just walk straight through, to the back,” Ted said, gesturing to the hallway behind him. “And Lupin”don’t hurt her.”

Lupin exhaled heavily. “I’d sooner harm myself.”

He walked slowly through the house to the back door, then paused. He could see her sitting on a bench in the dimly-lit garden, her face in her hands. Her hair was brown, shaggy and unkempt and her shoulders sagged as if a great burden was pressing upon them. His heart pounded as he quietly opened the door and stepped outside. He cleared his throat before trying to speak. “Hello, Tonks.”

She froze. Then she slowly lowered her hands, shaking, and stared at him. Her mouth formed a wordless O and her eyes grew huge.

His words erupted nervously. “I “I just wanted to let you know that I’m done with the werewolves . . . I won’t have to go back there again.” He smiled, inexplicably embarrassed. “I’d heard you were worried.”

A stifled sob escaped her lips as she jumped to her feet and ran to him, crushing him in a desperate bearhug. But instead of returning the embrace, he flinched. Startled, she looked up to see his emaciated face contorted in a grimace of pain.

She let go as if shocked by a live wire. “Remus?”

He swayed on the spot, and Tonks grabbed him again, just in time to keep him from sagging to the ground. Her heart in her throat, she steered him toward the garden bench and eased him down, then lifted his feet onto it, stretching him out onto his back. His eyelids flickered as if he was having great difficulty focusing. “Stay with me, Remus,” she pleaded, pulling aside his jacket. His tattered shirt was soaked with blood. He lifted one hand and clamped onto her forearm, leaving a scarlet smear where his fingers touched her. His breathing was fast and shallow.

She felt a rising tide of panic. “Mum! Dad!” She fumbled with the buttons of his shirt, tugging it open to reveal bloody bandages almost entirely enveloping his torso. She heard the back door bang open, and both parents appeared beside her. They had been listening just inside, she thought. “He must have left St. Mungo’s too soon,” she muttered, pressing her palms awkwardly against his heaving chest. “He’s losing so much blood.”

Her mother, Andromeda, expression grim, gently elbowed her aside, taking her place beside the bleeding man. “Ted,” she said, her voice carefully controlled, “please get the essence of dittany out of the kitchen cupboard and some bandages out of the linen closet. Dora, bring me some hot water.”

Ted nodded and hurried back inside. Tonks, unwilling to leave Lupin’s side, instead waved her wand in the direction of the house. A moment later a steaming teapot, some clean cloths and a large bowl soared through the air toward them, landing lightly on the ground beside them. Andromeda held her wand firmly over Lupin’s chest and wielded it like a scalpel, neatly severing the bloody bandages and revealing the deep lacerations underneath. She ignored Tonks’ gasp, dipping a cloth in the hot water and gently wiping at the wounds, trying to clear away enough blood to see their severity. They were very deep. “Remus,” she said, her voice both gentle and firm, “before I can treat these I must know”are these curse wounds?”

Tonks’ heart thumped as he stirred, opening his eyes. “Some of them,” he whispered. “Werewolf bites, but not transformed. The others are just cuts”knives, I think.” He grimaced as the cloth rubbed against him. “Most of them should heal eventually.”

She looked unconvinced, but said nothing more. Ted returned with the dittany and bandages, and Andromeda began applying copious amounts of the liquid to his injuries. Some of the skin seemed to begin knitting itself back together immediately, but other cuts remained gaping and angry-looking. Tonks gave silent thanks for her mother’s healing skills. Not knowing what else to do, she picked up a bandage and began to help her mother with the dittany.

Ted watched the scene with a mixture of concern and anger. “Remus, why did you leave St. Mungo’s before they had a chance to treat you properly? From the look of it, they must have barely started. They couldn’t have agreed to let you go so soon.”

“They didn’t,” Lupin confessed, looking extremely uncomfortable. Tonks took his hand in hers, noticing the battered knuckles and the bruises that covered his long fingers. “They patched me up, but, but . . . I had my reasons for going. And I had to talk to Tonks.”

“You mean Dora,” the father said, and Lupin blinked his confirmation. “Well, it was a foolish thing to do. You could have bled to death.”

“In retrospect, I agree,” Lupin replied, attempting a strained smile. “I never was very good at healing spells.”

Andromeda leaned closer, inspecting the results of the treatment. “These aren’t going to heal quickly,” she said, reaching for a roll of bandages and beginning to wrap them securely around his torso. Tonks helped lift him slightly so her mother could reach around his back. “You can stay in the spare bedroom while you recover. You must remain still for a while, or these will open up again, and you can’t afford to lose any more blood. I’m going to have to get you some Blood-Replenishing Potion.”

He nodded, appearing not to have the strength to argue. Andromeda tied up the last of the bandages, and after inspecting her work, picked up her wand again and deftly conjured a stretcher. The three of them lifted the injured man, who was surprisingly light, onto it, and Tonks waved her wand, levitating it so that it glided alongside them as they walked back to the house. Her mind was bursting with questions, but as she looked at the ashen-faced man beside her, she knew it wasn’t the time to ask them. Not yet. She took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently.

Once they had got Lupin upstairs, Tonks and her mother efficiently eased off the rest of his ragged clothing and slipped him between the warm sheets. He appeared utterly exhausted. “A good night’s sleep will help,” said Andromeda, looking at him critically.

“Thank you,’ he said quietly, his eyes already closed. “All of you.”

Tonks smoothed the sheet over him. His breathing was more regular now. “I’m going to stay with him awhile, Mum,” she said.

“Very well.” Andromeda’s expression was difficult to read, but she voiced no objection. “I’ll bring up some tea. Ted should have a spare pair of pajamas he can wear”a little big, but we can adjust them.”

Tonks nodded, settling into a chair beside the bed, placing her hand upon his. He was deeply asleep. “Ta, Mum. You’re the best.”



* * *

Lupin shoveled porridge into his mouth with considerable enthusiasm, trying to ignore the smiling spectator beside his bed. Tonks eyes were locked on him, watching his every move. “Do you have to watch everything I do?” he chided her, but there was a grin on his face. He was propped up against a pile of pillows, wearing Ted’s faded pajamas, having just endured a rather awkward sponge bath administered by Tonks, who seemed to enjoy his discomfort enormously. “I’m starving,” he said, anxious to change the subject. He lifted another spoonful and held it before his eyes, studying it carefully.

“Wot?” she said. “You don’t fancy my cooking?”

The corners of his mouth turned up wryly. “I was thinking I had never realized how delicious porridge could be. You should see what I’ve been eating the last few months.”

She wrinkled her nose. “You mean you were eating at all?” She had been shocked to see how thin he was. He had slept through the night and most of the next day and seemed to have regained a level of alertness, if not his strength. She sensed the levity of his conversation was an attempt to mask wounds not only to his body, but his soul. She had not forgotten where he had been. “Remus,” she began tentatively, “are you going to tell us what happened to you?”

His expression darkened as he put the bowl down on its tray. “Of course,” he said, but seemed reluctant to continue. His eyes darted downward, avoiding her gaze.

At that moment they were interrupted by a tapping at the door. Andromeda leaned into the room, smiling at them apologetically. “You have a visitor, Remus.”

Albus Dumbledore swept into the room, a wide smile on his face. If he noticed the surprise on Tonks’ and Lupin’s faces, he gave no indication of it. “Good day, Nymphadora. Such a happy day, thanks to you, Remus. Well done.” He flicked his wand and conjured himself another chair alongside the bed.

Lupin nodded, smiling slightly. Dumbledore’s expression became serious. “I admit I was greatly concerned when I attempted to visit you at St. Mungo’s and they told me you were not there. They indicated you were in no condition to travel. Are you all right?”

“Yes, yes, I’ll be fine in time, thanks to these kind people,” Lupin said self-consciously, nodding toward Andromeda, who had remained in the room. “I’m sorry if I caused concern to the healers at St. Mungo’s. I just felt that, given the current political climate, it might not be the best idea for someone like me to remain incapacitated in such a public place. Paranoia, I suppose.”

He saw understanding in Dumbledore’s eyes. “Quite wise, in fact. If only it were not so.” He glanced behind him to see that Ted had joined the gathering, standing next to his wife. “We are all grateful to the good people who support us in these difficult times.”

Tonks looked around, totally confused. Dumbledore spied her expression, and his eyes twinkled. “Am I to understand Remus has not explained what happened yesterday? Yes, I can see he has not.” He smiled benignly at Lupin, who scowled. “Well, I will leave it to him to rectify that.” He leaned closer to Lupin and spoke quietly, his tone solemn now. “I just want you to know that young David is comfortable and safe with his greatly relieved parents, and I have arranged extra protection to assure they will not have to fear any further trouble. I’m sure you will be hearing from them shortly; they are overwhelmed with gratitude.”

Lupin’s lip trembled slightly. “I’m glad,” he said quietly. “He’s a good boy. Very brave.”

“He is indeed.” Dumbledore squeezed Lupin’s shoulder reassuringly. “If times were different at the Ministry, it would mean the Order of Merlin, First Class, I should think.” There was sadness in his eyes. “As it is, I fear our gratitude will have to suffice.”

Lupin smiled. “Quite enough.” He looked very tired.

Dumbledore rose and waved his wand, causing the extra chair to disappear. “You need to rest. Surely you deserve it.” He nodded to the others as he walked to the door, then left.

Lupin watched him go, then noticed all the eyes in the room turning toward him. There was an awkward silence, quickly broken by Andromeda, who stepped forward and spoke in a no-nonsense manner. “Your bandages will need changing, and I want to check your wounds,” she said, lowering the sheet and pulling aside his pajama shirt. He submitted without complaint, grateful for her quick action to deflate the tension in the air. But he realized there would be no point in delaying the inevitable. He lay his head back against the pillows, closed his eyes, and began to speak.

“David is David Corner, son of Nigel and Mary Corner. You may know them. Their older son, Michael, was one of my students at Hogwarts. But to explain how his path came to cross mine, I’ll need to back up a bit.

“Do you have any idea what I’ve been doing the past few months?” He peered up and saw the wary glance that passed between Tonks’ parents. “I suppose Tonks, I mean Dora, might have said something about it.” He smiled grimly. “I was living with a colony of renegade werewolves, at Dumbledore’s request, to gather intelligence for the Order. It was more terrible than you could imagine, but necessary.”

Andromeda continued her work, dabbing more potion on his chest, but her glance kept flicking up to his face. Her lips were pressed tightly together. Tonks’ eyes had grown huge and moist. Ted’s stare was stony.

“It was a grim existence.” Lupin’s eyes seemed out of focus, haunted. “There was no money and no food, only what we could steal or find”garbage, rats, even insects. Mostly we stayed in the woods and came out into the villages only when necessary. I tried to befriend some of them, looking for some who might be swayed to our side. I even found myself feeling sympathetic for them sometimes, sharing their desperation. I saw them do horrifying things.” His voice was raspy, labored. “I myself did some things I never imagined I could.” His hand clenched against Tonks’ with such force she feared he might break it. “The full moon was the worst”I transformed with them. I have nightmares about the ghastly things I might have done then. But I can’t remember any of that, so I do not know.”

Tonks reached for his brow and stroked his hair, tears leaking down her cheeks. He avoided eye contact and went on, bitterness in his voice. “Their leader is Fenrir Greyback, an indescribably foul creature. Did you know, he was the werewolf who bit me, when I was just a child. He is very . . . fond . . . of children.

“One day he came back from the village dragging a child he had found playing alone in a yard. It was David Corner”he’s five years old.” Lupin’s voice was just a whisper now. “Tiny for his age, black-haired. Greyback was planning to keep him there, save him as a special treat for the next time he transformed.”

Ted swore loudly. Andromeda was pressing her clenched fist against her mouth, stifling a cry. Tonks couldn’t breathe. Lupin seemed transfixed, as if he had forgotten they were there. “The boy was with us for several days, terrified nearly to madness. I tried to shield him from the others. He was unusually bright, and I feared he might actually understand what was happening. I knew I had to find a way to get him out of there. There alternative was unthinkable.”

He paused for a moment, breathing heavily in a waking nightmare. “The problem was, Greyback had confiscated my wand before he went to the village, apparently anticipating my reaction to his plan. I couldn’t Apparate out of there without it, nor could I communicate with anyone in the wizarding world. He kept it in the pocket of the filthy cloak he always wore. I knew I would have to steal it back while he slept, but that was risky business”he has the instincts of the wolf.

“I managed to communicate to David what I was going to do; he seemed to understand, but was understandably frightened. The opportunity seemed to arise one night when Greyback had been drinking heavily and had fallen into a deep sleep. He was keeping David nearby, just a few feet away from him.”

Lupin’s hands rose to his face and remained there, rubbing his sunken eyes, as if trying to wipe away an unbearable vision. “Everyone else was asleep. I crept near to Greyback, on the side where David lay, hoping to snatch the wand and the boy at the same time. I slipped my hand into his pocket, felt the wand between my fingers, and pulled it out. Then he came at me.”

Beads of sweat dotted his brow. “He ripped at me, tearing at me, drawing blood. The wand fell to the ground. The others heard the commotion and pounced at me too, knocking each other aside in their eagerness to join in the party. They . . . cut me. I fell.”

He stopped speaking. Tonks squeezed his shoulder with a trembling hand. He bit his lip, then continued. “I knew they were going to tear me to pieces. But then I felt my wand, directly under my right hand where it had fallen.

“I looked up and saw David’s huge eyes staring at me. The noise had awakened him, but instead of running away, he had crept nearer, reaching toward me. My fingers closed on the wand, I grabbed his wrist . . . and we Apparated.”

Andromeda was looking at him in astonishment, her eyes shining with tears, the bandages in her hands momentarily forgotten. “Where”where did you reappear?”

At last Lupin could smile, if painfully. “Directly on the Corners’ front step. I don’t think David had ever Apparated before, and that, added to the horror of the werewolves, seemed to quite unhinge him. His screams attracted the attention of his mother, who jerked open the front door and was greeted with the sight of her hysterical boy and a strange man bleeding all over her stoop.” Tonks choked back a half-sob, half-laugh. “She might have thought I was the kidnapper, but luckily, David found his voice and starting shouting, ‘He saved me! He saved me! ‘ His father arrived then, and the two of them pulled us inside. I managed to tell them who I was, and they contacted St. Mungo’s to summon help. I don’t blame them”I was making quite a mess of their parlor.”

He sagged back against the pillows, exhausted. But his face seemed calmer now; talking about the experience seemed to have released some sort of emotional logjam. Then Ted stepped forward and took his hand in his bear-like paw, giving it a firm shake. “That’s a brave thing you did, Lupin.”

Their eyes met and Lupin looked slightly embarrassed. “I’m just relieved that the boy is all right. A horror like that could leave some long-term scars, though.” Tonks knew he was remembering his own experience. As if he could ever forget it, she thought.

“At least he’ll have a chance.” Ted clapped him on the shoulder, while Andromeda tied up the last of the fresh bandages. “I think we should find you something more to eat, and then you should rest. Best thing for ya.”

“Rest. Yes.” Lupin closed his eyes and sighed deeply, his head sinking deeper into the pillows. He opened them again to see that everyone had left the room except Tonks, who was gazing at him with a mixture of affection, sadness, and apprehension.

“I can’t believe what you’ve been through,” she admitted. “How you could do it. There’s no training for something like that in Auror school.”

“But I’m not an Auror.” He smiled. “Just a part-time professor. And that reminds me ““

“Wot?”

“You wouldn’t have any chocolate, would you?”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=73404