Dark Side of the Moon by Lioness06
Summary:

In fifth year, Sirius along with James and Peter managed the difficult Animagus transformation. In fifth year, Sirius played the ‘werewolf prank’ on Snape. One was an act of loyalty, brotherhood, and friendship; the other an act of betrayal, vengeance, and recklessness. This story spanning the Marauders' fifth year will deal with both these incidents, as well as Sirius’s increasing rejection of everything having to do with ‘The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black”.



Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 57658 Read: 39747 Published: 10/24/07 Updated: 03/23/10

1. Garden Rebellion by Lioness06

2. Summer's End by Lioness06

3. Mrs. Potter's Cookies by Lioness06

4. A Proposal by Lioness06

5. First Day Woes by Lioness06

6. Becoming Marauders by Lioness06

7. Marauder or Prefect? by Lioness06

8. Dueling Lessons by Lioness06

9. Levicorpus by Lioness06

10. Brothers by Lioness06

11. Lily’s Affections by Lioness06

Garden Rebellion by Lioness06
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Rowling's characters or universe.
Chapter 1 - Garden Rebellion


It was a sunny, breezy day; the wind rustled the branches of the towering trees. Leaves were twirling lightly in the air, some landing on the grass and others on the teenage boy sprawled out on the stone bench below. The bench was composed of grey granite and an elaborate family crest was engraved on the front. The teenage boy had dark hair falling casually over his eyes, appearing elegant without any effort. One could go on to describe the exact shade of the boy’s grey eyes or his well defined body or his charming smile, but it all came down to one undeniable fact - the boy was very good-looking.

The young man had his eyes closed, his breathing relaxed, and he appeared not to expect a disturbance anytime soon.

“Sirius Black.”

The voice was female, young, and did not belong to any of the boy’s relatives; and only this combination could persuade Sirius to open his eyes and acknowledge the person in front of him.

“Leila Yaxley.”

“I thought you were ill.”

Sirius regarded the young woman with casual detachment, seemingly aloof to her beauty. Leila Yaxley was indeed beautiful, angelic features and brown hair cascading down her shoulders; her dress robes fit in all the right places.

Fifteen-year-old Sirius had enough experience dealing with attractive girls that he was able to look Leila straight in the eyes without betraying any hint of desire on his side.

“Precautionary measure. I would have been sick if I had to spend another moment with any of my relatives.”

Sirius knew why the Yaxley’s were visiting; why they’d brought along their daughter under the pretense that she was visiting Narcissa, Sirius’s cousin. It wasn’t even a very well thought out cover since Narcissa was five years Leila’s and Sirius’s senior. Sirius’s nerves were already on the last string, having stayed over at his aunt’s and uncle’s manor over the past few days.

“You might want to find another hiding place. My father, your uncle, your aunt, your father, and your brother are headed this way.”

“Are they?” Sirius asked vaguely, unconcerned. He sat up.

“Your uncle kept prattling on about some statue out in the garden that’s been in the Black family for generations, rumored to be a gift from Salazar Slytherin. Of course my father demanded to see it.”

“Oh, it’s over there.” Sirius pointed to his left. “It’s a statue of some famous witch, but it’s so old, it really isn’t impressive looking.”

“I was upset to hear you were ill,” Leila said softly. The statue held little interest to her.

“Were you?”

“Come now. You know why I’m here. Let’s not pretend.”

“I do know.”

With one quick motion Sirius was on his feet a few centimeters from Leila, and he noticed with satisfaction that his sudden closeness caused her to blush. Over Leila’s shoulder Sirius could see his father, relatives, and Mr. Yaxley approaching. Perhaps if the circumstances had been different Sirius would have considered dating Leila…

The approaching group was now near enough and Sirius leaned in to kiss Leila full on the mouth. He expected some resistance on Leila’s part, but she returned the kiss with enthusiasm. His left hand slowly trailed down on her waist, as low as he dared venture, the other hand began slowly unclasping the top buttons of her dress robe.

There was a rushing sound and they were blasted apart, both knocked onto the ground. Druella Black, Sirius’s aunt, was helping Leila to her feet; both women looked completely mortified. As Sirius picked himself off the ground, he came face to face with the enraged Derek Yaxley, his wand pointed at Sirius’s chest. Sirius would have liked nothing more than to draw his own wand on the pudgy balding man. Except the privilege of carrying a wand had been taken away from him by his mother, just as it had since that summer after his first year; locked away in her desk only to be returned if Sirius needed it for a summer lesson or when Hogwarts started up again.

“Now Derek, please-” Cygnus Black, Sirius’s uncle had stepped up next to Mr. Yaxley.

“I will not calm down! Your nephew was mauling my daughter!”

“She hardly seemed to mind,” Orion Black, Sirius’s father, remarked.

“Dear Merlin - I will not “ you will not -” Mr. Yaxley spluttered in indignation.

Orion continued, “No harm was done and seeing as to why you are here, it certainly isn’t undesirable…makes our lives easier.”

“Let us go inside. Sit down for a cup of tea,” Druella fluttered. They were all very eager to separate Sirius from the Yaxleys.

Sirius’s aunt linked arms with Leila, leading her towards the house. Sirius was watching this all still a bit dazed from the kiss. She certainly wasn’t as innocent as her father thought. Leila had known exactly what she had been doing with that mouth of hers.

Cygnus nodded to Derek, who looked as if somehow he’d been tricked, yet followed them back inside. Moments later Sirius was left with only his younger brother, Regulus, who had stayed silent throughout the whole ordeal. Regulus was two years younger, slighter in size, same dark hair and eyes as his elder brother, though less defined. These slight dissimilarities made all the difference; Regulus was not nearly as handsome.

“Feeling better?” Regulus asked.

“Much,” Sirius replied with a grin.

“You’re mad…if you think Mr. Yaxley will let you near his daughter ever again…”

“Such a shame…as you can see, I am overcome with misery.”

Regulus narrowed his eyes. “You’re an idiot. What if the next girl mother and father match you up with is a troll?”

“I’ll marry who I choose.”

“You’ll marry who mother and father decide. You know you will. It’s how things are, Sirius. Fight it all you want, but in the end, you’ll do as you are told.”

Sirius opened his mouth to retort. He was the first Black in Gryffindor after all “ if anyone could change tradition, it was him. He stopped himself because he saw his mother hurling down the path toward them. It was impressive that she still kept her regal air, even while practically foaming at the mouth in anger.

Walburga planted herself in front of her eldest; she was no longer significantly taller than Sirius. Walburga brought her hand up and slapped her son on the cheek with all her strength.

“How dare you!” She whacked him once more in the same area. Sirius stood stiffly, his body taut; he’d already prepared himself for his mother’s reaction. He had already decided that asserting himself “ making it clear to his parents that they would rule no aspect of his future and that included marriage - in this way was worth any consequence.

It wasn’t as if Sirius hadn’t been hit before; usually it was one of their home school teachers or nannies “ only when the transgression was severe or repeated too often, did his father and mother deliver the corporal punishment. Divvying out punishments was really the only thing Walburga gave leeway on with her children’s caregivers. She kept Sirius and Regulus on a tight leash, dictating every minute of their day, so that their nannies and teachers could not allow their charges a moment of recess without express permission from Mrs. Black.

His cheek stinging, humiliated even though only his brother had been privy to the slap, Sirius lashed out in the only way he could, with words. “There’s no need for dramatics, Mother. How does Mr. Yaxley expect us to produce lots of little heirs if I’m not to touch his precious daughter?”

“Insolent child! Enough of this. You will start behaving. I will not have any more excuses that you are young, that you are at an age that you are trying to assert yourself, that this is merely a stage you are going through. You will go inside; you will apologize to Mr. and Mrs. Yaxley for your rudeness, for needlessly upsetting them. You will keep your eyes downcast. You will not so much as glance in Miss Yaxley’s direction. Then you will go upstairs, the door will be locked behind you. You will be dealt with tomorrow afternoon when we return home, severely dealt with, Sirius.”

“Yes, Mother.” There was not an ounce of respect in Sirius’s voice. The contempt he held for his family had grown each year since he’d been first sorted into Gryffindor “ that first rebellion hadn’t been entirely intentional. It had been with slight hope that he’d placed the Sorting Hat on his head for a placement other than Slytherin.

Even as a small child, Sirius had always questioned things; reasons for rules, reasons for memorizing family trees, reasons for why he couldn’t play with Muggles. Obedience was one of the cardinal rules of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black; noncompliance was swiftly dealt with. Sirius’s parents had gotten close to taming him, suppressing his mischievous nature with endless hours of rewriting lines, memorizing names “ combined with punishment when he stepped a little out of line.

At Hogwarts Sirius had met James Potter, a boy’s whose childhood was so different from his own, parents who spoiled him, allowed him to do what he choose. James’s day to day routine was rarely planned out - let alone his entire life. A few months of sharing a dorm with James and Sirius started to loosen up and become more carefree. They had befriended two other boys, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew forming their tightly knit group. His parents had instilled many ideas in his head about pure-bloods, blood-traitors, Muggle-borns, and Muggle filth. At first Sirius had disagreed with his parents’ views and doctrines just for the sake of disagreeing, but over the years he learned how wrong their facts were. He had found that loyalty could be given without resorting to threats, real friendship could not be bought, and most importantly that the person you were mattered more than purity of blood.




“It was wrong of you, my dear, to force Sirius to apologize to Derek Yaxley.” Orion’s voice floated through the door reaching where Sirius stood. He’d been called down to his father’s office and he was not eager to enter it. As usual Orion’s tone was cool as ice, no emotion in the words, only hardness; the ‘my dear’ not a form of endearment, but a claim of ownership over his wife.

“Wrong of me?” Walburga’s voice was high, shrill and condescending. There was little point in Walburga bothering to keep emotion out of her voice when she was so high tempered.

“Yes,” Orion snapped. “Yaxleys are below the Blacks. Sirius was the best match Derek could have hoped for his daughter. There was no need to further our family’s humiliation by that apology.”

“No need? Did you not see how upset Derek was? He would have left; any further contact between our families lost!”

“It would have been no loss. Why is it that my wife holds the Yaxleys in such high regard?”

“I do not. I was merely trying to rein in our son. Do not tell me you condone his actions?”

“You have made it into a larger deal than any of it was. Did you notice how Derek allows his daughter to dress in public? Those robes could hardly have been cut lower. Sirius behaved as any other teenage boy would have.”

“Is that what you think?” Walburga laughed dryly. “You do not know Sirius at all. He was solely trying to thwart our matchmaking. Any attraction at all towards the girl was simply an added advantage.”

A calloused rough hand suddenly grasped Sirius by the arm. Kreacher, the house-elf, was pushing him into his father’s study.

“Mistress, Master, Kreacher found Master Sirius listening at the door.”

Walburga regarded Sirius coldly. “Thank you, Kreacher. Dismissed.”

Sirius bowed, clasping his hands behind his back, head down slightly. He was skating on thin ice; he saw no reason to anger them further by not following the usual courtesies. His Uncle Alphard was always on him to ‘choose his battles’ and it was advice when it came to authority, Sirius had trouble following.

“Lying that you were sick, violating a young girl, eavesdropping on your mother and father. What is next, Sirius? Will you be plundering stores, starting brawls in the street?”

Sirius knew better than to answer.

“Do you have anything to say, Sirius? In your defense?”

“I’m not marrying Leila Yaxley or any other -”

“See, Orion?” Her eyes were glowing manically; almost as if she wanted to be right, wanted to believe the worst about her son. “He was conniving against his own family; against the best interest of the Blacks.”

“I will marry who I want!”

“Sirius, you will marry who we say.” His father’s voice cut through Sirius’s words.

“No! You cannot force me to-”

“Marriage is not a liberty. It most certainly should not be left for the young to decide.” Sirius’s further protests and the stance he had tried to make were dismissed. His father was like that, barely recognizing Sirius’s acts of rebellions, as if Sirius was only play acting. Somehow this was worse than his mother’s outbursts and her yelling, ranting, and raving. She took everything he did personally, as if he were attacking the foundation of the Black family and her very soul. Sirius hoped that because it affected her so deeply that somewhere inside of her, there was the slightest possibility his mother cared about him; just him and not because he was heir and a carrier of the family name.

“Now let us decide on a suitable punishment.”

Walburga had obviously been waiting for this moment; she wasted not a second with her idea. “We should not allow him to visit the Potters.”

This was the one thing Sirius had been dreading. Knowing he had an escape from his family for a seven full days was the only way he kept sane at times. The Potters were well-connected and though had blood-traitor tendencies, were well liked and respected. By using all those advantages, the Potters had convinced, or more likely coerced, Orion and Walburga to allow Sirius a week each summer to visit James.

“That is unworkable. You and I will be away at the conference that week. We’ve already arranged for Regulus to stay over my brother’s and his wife made it clear she will not take Sirius as well. What would we do with him?”

“Take Sirius with us. The company will be beneficial.”

The ‘conference’ his parents were talking about was a meeting of the oldest pure-blood families, who sympathized with ‘the cause.’ The conference would be full of cocktail parties, elaborate dinners, and balls, all in hopes to persuade these families to publicly support and donate money to ‘the cause.’

‘The cause,’ in the simplest terms, was about purifying all the magical bloodlines. There were multiple areas of ‘the cause’ and disagreements were beginning to rise about how far was too far. Should they simply lobby for a law only allowing pure-bloods to apply for the highest level jobs in the Ministry, or go as far as getting rid of the Statute of Secrecy, and enslaving the Muggles? Sirius had overheard his relatives discussing this very predicament. It was all headed by an elusive man named Lord Voldemort. This sort of movement had sprung up before over the generations, and only over the last few months was the general population realizing things were getting serious, deadly serious.

“No. It is not a place for a boy. Let us not forget, we have the meddlesome Potters to deal with as well. They will cause us trouble, perhaps dig into things we do not want unearthed, if the boy does not show up healthy and well on their doorstep. I can bring him to work with me over the next few days. He will step into my shoes eventually and I’m sure Sirius will find it all sufficiently boring. That shall serve as his punishment.”

“Fine,” Walburga said. Her husband’s tone had finality to it and though she was not completely convinced, it was not her place to argue further.

There was a pop and Kreacher was back.

“What is it?” she demanded. It was, after all, the wife’s duty to deal with house-elves. Kreacher’s face was contorted in a strange grimace and Sirius realized, with a jolt, it was gleeful.

“Kreacher is cleaning, Mistress. Kreacher is in Master Sirius’s room.” Kreacher paused shivering slightly in the excitement of his revelation. Sirius saw the snide look the house-elf threw at him. “Oh, Mistress must come see!”

Sirius kept his expression undaunted and indifferent, for once thankful for all those childhood lessons on keeping your emotions masked that his father had drilled into him and Regulus.

“Do you have a confession, son?” Walburga stared straight at Sirius. He flinched a fraction, his heart rate increased, but he did not speak. Sirius knew Kreacher had discovered his new wallpaper ‘decoration.’ His walls were now covered in Gryffindor banners and Muggle pictures. Sirius had been lucky it had taken so long to be discovered. He did want it to be exposed eventually, he’d done it to rile them obviously; he was just waiting for the best moment to unveil it. If he had a choice in the matter, today would have not been it; not with his mother’s temper so close to boiling point already. He wished Kreacher had not decided today to disobey his order of staying out of his room. The house-elf would have to punish itself later for it. Kreacher had never taken to Sirius as he had to Regulus.

Walburga threw Sirius a withering look. She chose not to force her son to answer, and instead strode out of the office; her footsteps could be heard resounding through the house.

“Go on to your room. Tell your mother if punishment is needed she may deal with you in any way she sees fit. I have business to attend to. I have no more time to deal with your misbehavior.”

“Yes, sir.” He bowed before leaving the room. His mother was already quite red in the face by the time he reached her. She was attempting to pull the poster of a motorcycle from his wall. Sirius’s interest in this Muggle contraption had first begun when a Gryffindor girl in his year had brought back photos from her trip to France. She’d taken dozens of pictures of who she considered to be ‘gorgeous foreigners’ on or near motorcycles.

It was love at first sight. Motorcycles were fast and dangerous “ just they way Sirius wished to live his life. Live for the moment and don’t look back. It was a perfect symbol of his rebellion.

“Permanent sticking charm, I see. Undo it, Sirius.”

“I can’t.”

Knowing his wand would be taken the moment he returned home, Sirius had enlisted his mates for help. They’d researched ways to delay the effect of a spell, as well non-magical methods to activate. In the end all Sirius had to do was sprinkle the back of the pictures with water and press the item firmly on the wall.

“You can borrow my wand. You will vanquish this filth from your walls.”

“I can’t, Mother. I didn’t cast the spell so even if I wanted to…”

“Who cast it then?” His mother was spitting the words out in rage.

It had been Remus, but seeing the anger burning in his mother’s eyes; his mother already had an unnatural interest in Sirius’s half-blooded friend. The Lupins were a lower middle class family and were sitting ducks if a Black went after them.

“James,” Sirius lied.

“Potter!”

The Potters were at least safe from the vengeance of his mother.

Walburga jabbed a finger at one of the bikini clad Muggle girls Sirius had hung. “Is this the filth you want to breed with?”

Sirius had no intention of doing anything with these girls, but look at them. His mother didn’t have to know that though.

“Yes. Why not? They have good genes.”

He knew the reference to Muggles in any positive fashion would flip his mother out.

“You dare defile this house. You dare dishonor your family. You want to talk of genes, of breeding, of blood?”

Sirius certainly did not want to discuss of any of those things. He scolded himself for even bringing up the subject.

“Let us talk of your genes, of your breeding and of your blood. You cannot hide from your family’s history. It is part of who you are. You think it was by accident that we came into money and authority? You can disapprove of the Dark Arts and pure-blood idealism all you want “ but remember this: because generations of Blacks aligned themselves with those principles is the reason our family is this powerful and the reason you have all those privileges that you are ungrateful for.” The controlled fury in her words un-footed Sirius. He had wanted to leave his family with a permanent reminder that he was a Gryffindor and proud of his house. Seeing the anger in his mother’s eyes, he wondered for the first time if it would be worth it. “You will go now to the playroom. You will do lines until your fingers cramp, until your hands are so raw they bleed. With every word you write you will remember what being a true, proud Black means. Toujours pur, Sirius, remember it well. ”




It had been ages since any recreation had been completed in the Black family’s ‘playroom.’ It was in this room Sirius and Regulus had received their lessons before Hogwarts and where punishments were usually served. And it was in the playroom, one night before, Sirius had spent hours and hours writing out passages from books members of his family had written full of pure-blood propaganda, and also the Black family code. His mother had been correct. Sirius certainly did think of his family with each word he’d painstakingly written in perfect script. Once again forced to see the truth, reminded that the whole lot of them had been Dark Art loving blood purists and completely crazy. Times like this he was not proud to be a Black; his punishment having the complete opposite effect of what his mother had sought.

He missed his friends. He wanted to be back in school where none of this rubbish mattered. In Hogwarts he was surrounded by friends who liked him despite of all the faults his parents would list whenever given a chance. His world at Hogwarts was filled with friendship and laughter; his world at home with family obligations and formality. Two very different worlds that constantly clashed with each other; there were so many instances he was in trouble at home because of something he’d pulled with his friends, yet he needed these friends, the mischief they played, to stay strong.

Of course Sirius was capable of getting in trouble on his own without any help from his friends. Right now he was getting ready to serve his punishment for just such a thing -kissing Leila in his aunt’s and uncle’s garden. They had arrived at the Ministry of Magic via one of the spacious fireplace-like portals. The moment Sirius and his father stepped out numerous witches and wizards were Apparating behind them bustling by in a hurry. Sirius was dressed in stiff formal robes. The robes themselves weren’t stiff; made of the finest fabric; it was that Sirius felt stiff in them. They made him feel constrained, as if he had to act snobbish and like his father when wearing them.

Sirius’s father worked in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, level two of the Ministry. Orion Black had an important, cushioned job “ with a lot of power and little actual responsibility. Orion spent most of his time ensuring that matters and ideas he considered important “that were in his self-interest- were being dealt with, and doing all he could to prevent anything that did not benefit pure-bloods, even when it didn’t overlap with his Department.

Sirius noticed a lot of the wizards and wizards greeted his father in a hurried manner, eyes never quite meeting Orion’s and these people never so much as glanced at Sirius. Clearly they were wary of his father and by Orion’s demeanor, Sirius knew he expected this sort of royal treatment in the halls of his work from those he deemed inferior. Once they actually entered inside the area where his father’s office was located, quite a few wizards (no witches) approached them; these men shook his father’s hand and were very interested in Sirius and why he was present.

“Blimey, is that your son?” The words came from an overly enthusiastic twenty-something year old carrying a black leather-bound book.

“Yes, this is Sirius. Sirius, this is my assistant, Greg.” There was a distinct emphasis on assistant and Greg did not miss it because he sobered up quickly giving Sirius a formal nod.

“I’ve an important meeting to attend to.”

“Yes, yes, sir! In the Harper room. I was hoping-”

“Greg, I’ll need you to look after my son.”

“After your son? The meeting, sir, I thought-”

“There’ll be other meetings. Sirius needs supervision. Set him up in my office. Have him write out neatly my itinerary for the month; he’s underage, no magic.”

“This may be out of line, sir, but one of your secretaries could do that with a swish of her wand.”

“If I want your opinion I’ll ask for it. I want my son to handwrite it. It will familiarize Sirius with the sort of responsibilities and names of people I deal with.”

“Very good, sir. This way, Sirius.”

Sirius mentally prepared himself for what was sure to be a monotonously boring day. He was already sick of lines in general from the other punishment. He never wanted to see a quill and parchment ever again. This busy work was, however, the better alternative to being brought to the meeting.

Orion’s office was medium sized and only minimally decorated. The only personal adornment was the Black Family crest that hung on the wall. Greg did not sit Sirius at his father’s large ebony desk with the comfortable leather chair, but at the smaller desk with the wooden chair. Sirius had a feeling this was the desk Greg used. Greg tonelessly explained Sirius the task, handing him the messily written appointment book he was to copy neatly. Greg looked miserable at being reduced to a mere babysitter. It had probably taken him years to work up to the position he now held

“I need to “ fetch- something,” Greg stated nervously. He’d been pacing the room watching Sirius’s slow progress.

“I won’t run off,” Sirius said.

“Hmmm,” Greg murmured. He did not sound reassured, but whatever pressing matter must have been important. As soon as he was alone, Sirius threw down his quill. He hadn’t been lying; he wasn’t going to run off, but that didn’t mean he’d do actual work either.

There were two windows in the office, the curtains both drawn, Sirius stood walking toward it, wanting to open it. Let in some light. His father and mother kept Grimmauld Place in semi-darkness most of the time. Sirius wrenched it open only to find it was “ raining?

“Enchanted windows,” a voice drawled. “If they are having a gloomy day, it seems we all must suffer.”

Sirius turned to see Lucius Malfoy, engaged to his cousin Narcissa, entering the room.

“Sirius, it’s simply splendid to see you.”

“Lucius, how are you?” Sirius said with forced politeness.

“Busy. Very busy. Where is your father?”

“A meeting.”

“I must speak with him, but it can wait. It is a happy coincidence to bump into you. Going into fifth year now?”

“Yes.”

“From what Severus tells me, I wouldn’t get high hopes on being made Prefect.”

“You still speak to Snivellus?” Sirius asked with a laugh. Snape was the same age as Sirius and in Slytherin; a slimy, greasy haired boy, who was famous in school for his interest in the Dark Arts. Simply put, Sirius and James did not get along with Snape. They had clashed with Snape on their very first day on the train to Hogwarts, and their dislike had grown exponentially over the years.

“Talented boy “ sadly though his blood is lacking. Useful though.”

“No one could pay me enough to accept the position of Prefect.”

“You’ll have to grow out of your troublemaking tendencies eventually. No matter, though, you still have all the qualifications they are looking for.”

“They?” He’d taken the bait.

“A group I am acquainted with.”

“Death Eaters?”

“Splendid. You’ve heard of them?”

Who hadn’t, unless you were locked away in a broom closet? Voldemort, the man who headed the ‘the cause’ was also assumed to be leader of the Death Eaters. The term ‘Death Eaters’ had begun sneaking into more and more stories in the Daily Prophet over the past year “ all suspiciously related to the mysterious disappearances and murders; and thus in more and more daily conversations.

“Voldemort’s lackeys? Yes, I’ve heard of them.”

“Lord Voldemort or the Dark Lord, if you prefer,” corrected Lucius. “Show some respect, boy.”

“He’s done nothing to earn my respect.”

“He is finally doing what our ancestors started long ago. Protecting the interest of pure-bloods. Ensuring our survival “ that our traditions and laws will stay intact “ not diluted by filth “ by Mudbloods who do not deserve a place in our society.”

“And killing them all is the answer?”

“Who said anything about killing them? Putting them in their proper place, yes. They should be serving us.”

“It’s wrong.”

“It’s not right or wrong. It must be done for the greater good of all witches and wizards. I want to offer you a membership. You’ll be sixteen soon the age of induction. It will be expected of a Black to join, and as heir it is your responsibility to fulfill that expectation. You’ll be given a spot- you won’t even have to compromise those Gryffindor morals “ just your allegiance. Eventually your loyalty will be tested, but by then I’m sure you’ll have a taste of the power and will be more than willing to do whatever is required to keep it.”

“Have you told your boss that you’re a Death Eater?”

Lucius laughed. “Did I ever say I was? I’m just passing along information. Think of the future. ‘The cause’ is gaining strength “ be on the winning side. Think about it and we shall speak again.”

Greg entered the room mumbling and almost dropped the stack of papers he was holding when he saw Lucius. “Mr. Malfoy! Dear me “ can I be of assistance?”

“No, no. Young Sirius was more than helpful. Do think over what we spoke of, Sirius. Good day.’

Greg opened the door to let Lucius out. Lucius turned his eyes, gazing at Sirius in a calculating manner. He then left the room, though not before giving Greg a condescending smile.

Greg turned on Sirius. “Your father will be back soon. What have you accomplished so far?”

Sirius shrugged and poor Greg paled at his progress. “That’s all you’ve done”

“I was entertaining Lucius. Surely my father would have been angrier if I had rebuffed him to simply copy down a schedule.”

“Be as that may, please sit and continue.”

Sirius complied and Greg did not stray from the office after that. His father returned from the meeting with a bundle of other menial tasks for Sirius to do once he finished the schedule. After lunch which Greg brought to them “ Sirius wished his father had allowed him to go to the cafeteria “ Sirius was allowed an unsupervised bathroom break.

Walking to the bathroom, his mind was going over the conversation with Malfoy. He was still astounded that Lucius would be so frank in his offer; that Lucius even believed he would give such a thing a second thought. In front of him two old men were walking at such a snail pace, he felt he’d never reach the bathroom. Their slow pace was driving Sirius crazy; what was so bloody hard about putting one foot in front of the other? The two men were approaching a corner and Sirius picked up his speed to pass them. As he turned, he collided straight into another person coming the other way, causing the poor witch to drop the pile of folders she’d been carrying.

The witch looked very flustered. Not only were the folders scattered, but the papers inside the folders as well. “Merlin’s beard, what a mess!”

“I’ll help you,” someone near her offered. The voice of the bystander had a familiar ring and he was already helping the witch pick up her things.

Without glancing at the witch or the other person, Sirius bent down as well to help; after all it had been his fault really. Handing over the stack of papers he had collected to the red-faced witch, Sirius finally looked at the helpful bystander and a smile instantly lit his face. “James!”




Author’s note: I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my new story! Please let me know what you think and leave me a review!
Summer's End by Lioness06
Author's Notes:
I’m very sorry for the delay in chapter two. At the end of October I had some very difficult changes in my life occur. As I’m sure you understand that while dealing with all those things, fanfiction was far from my mind. I’m dealing with things and I realized I missed writing this story and fanfiction in general, so I’m back and hopefully updates will be regular. Thanks for understanding and enjoy this chapter.
Chapter Two “ Summer’s End


“Sirius!”

The two best friends embraced, clasping each other on the back. The witch they had helped gather her stuff had already hurried on her way.

“What are you doing here?” Sirius asked. James was the last person he’d expected to run into the Ministry. Sirius’s mood was lifted considerably.

“My Dad and I are on our way to talk to the owner of the Tornadoes. They know each other from their Hogwarts days. Something urgent came up, so my Dad had to make a quick stop here.”

Sirius’s mood dampened slightly. The close relationship James had with his father was something Sirius had always envied. It was a childish longing. After all he was fifteen, top of his class in pretty much everything, had a close group of friends, popular among his classmates “ especially female “ it should have been enough. Usually it was enough - he thought of his friends as brothers as it was - still, through the Potters, he’d seen what a family could be like.

“I can ask my dad if you can come along. I don’t see why not,” James offered, sensing exactly what had been bothering Sirius.

“I can’t. I’m here as punishment, so I’m not supposed to be enjoying myself.”

“Ahhh…so they found the posters? Did you end up putting the Muggle girls up as well?”

“Yes and yes. I’m not here for that though…”

“So why are you being punished?” James asked.

Sirius explained what had transpired between him and Leila Yaxley.

“I can’t believe - and with her father and your father right there!” James sounded very impressed. Sirius shrugged, grinning mischievously. He was known for his recklessness.

“Was she any good?”

“It was an excellent kiss.”

“Shame then.”

“Why?”

“Do you believe she’d give you the time of day after embarrassing her in front of her father?”

“You underestimate my charm. I’m not interested any way, not when my parents want me to marry her.” Sirius paused. “What about your love life? Has little Victoria been owling you?”

James groaned. “Yes, weekly.”

Little Victoria Dekker wasn’t really that little any longer. She was only a year under them in Gryffindor, and had been infatuated with James nearly her whole life. The Potters and Dekkers were old family friends, and unfortunately for James, this did nothing but encourage a union between their children. Victoria had grown into an attractive girl, not stunning like Leila Yaxley, but nice looking. However, James only looked at her as an annoying younger relative.

“Do you think she’ll ever give up?” Sirius asked.

“I’m starting to think she only does this to annoy me…” James stated hopefully.

Sirius laughed. James was actually quite right. Victoria wasn’t ‘in love’ with James anymore; she still liked James. The owling, stalking him at Quidditch practices and bothering him in the hallways was now done more for fun than anything. And Victoria still genuinely did enjoy James’s company, so she didn’t see any reason to stop. Last year Victoria had told Sirius this in the strictest of confidences and Sirius, entertained by it was well, didn’t see the harm in not telling his best mate.

“I wouldn’t be too sure.”

James groaned again. “How about you ask Victoria out on a date? She’ll fall madly in love with you and forget I exist.”

Sirius pretended to look horrified.

“And you won’t even have to ask her on a second date…just get her to realize I’m not the only fish in the sea.”

“No, thanks mate. She’s all yours.”

“Some friend you are. Anyway, your parents haven’t backed out on letting you come the week of the fourth, have they?”

“No. What about Remus and Peter? Are they both still coming?”

Sirius’s parents screened the letters he received, so he had little contact with his friends over the summer. Luckily because of a gift from Peter in their second year, James and Sirius could communicate between two-way mirrors.

“Remus can only stay the first two days. He said relatives from Denmark are visiting. I’m still not sure about Peter.”

“At least we can continue with Operation Furry Little Problem once Remus leaves. I really hope Peter can make it then.”

Operation Furry Little Problem was code for their project of becoming Animagi; illegal Animagi. In their second year, Sirius, James and Peter had discovered Remus’s secret. After learning Remus was a werewolf and how horrible the transformation was for their friend, they had begun strategizing ways to help him. Obviously the best solution would be to find a ‘cure.’ Then they had uncovered the fact that werewolves were only a danger to humans and not animals, and if they transformed into animals they could theoretically keep Remus company on full moon nights.

They had not been able to keep their idea secret for long. At first Remus had been shocked and then angry. It was too dangerous…too many things could go wrong…and if they were caught, the ramifications would be severe. It had taken a lot of assurances and after they had shown Remus they were taking it seriously, going over the steps slowly, and researching fully, he had warmed up to the idea. Now almost three years had passed and they were very close to their goal. Remus had refused to help them in any shape or form “ feeling his being the reason for this was egging them on enough; though at times they had tricked him into helping them decipher something by pretending it was for an essay or an assignment.

“I did tell Peter in the last letter I sent that we want to work on you-know-what. He does need all the help he can get,” James said.

“I need to get back before my father starts looking for me.”

“Right. I’ve the mirror on me, so if you get bored later…”

“Left home without it,” Sirius said. “You’ll be too busy salivating over the Tornado players anyway…”

James grinned. “I’ll get you an autograph.”

“Later, mate.”

Sirius first did use the bathroom before returning back to his father’s office. When he returned his father had another meeting to attend to “ this time he wanted Sirius there. The worst part, for Sirius, was how he had to be seen, yet not heard, and at the same time if anyone did ask him a question, he had to be prepared with an answer that would make him sound intelligent, polite, and well-bred.

The men in the meeting were all as stuck-up as his father. Sirius gladly returned back to the tedious tasks in his father’s office when the meeting was complete. The rest of the week was similar to his first day “ without the pleasant surprise of running into James. After five days, Sirius’s punishment was complete, and Sirius had come to the conclusion he would never follow his father into the Ministry.




Peter trailed after his mother, keeping his eyes straight forward. He hated cemeteries; he was terrified of them. His cousin had told him when he was ten that stray, lonely ghosts would sometimes latch on to strangers that visited graveyards and haunt them for eternity. Peter was ninety-nine percent positive that his cousin had been pulling his leg, but he still didn’t like risking it and was careful not make eye contact with any of the tombstones.

Peter’s mother suddenly stopped, having reached their destination. His baby sister, only a year old, had died at the beginning of his third year at Hogwarts. Peter’s mother placed a bunch of withered flowers she’d picked from their unkempt garden. The flowers looked abandoned on the dark gravestone, a reflection of how Peter and his mother felt, for they too were all alone. It was just the two of them now. His father had left barely a year after the death of his daughter. He’d spoken to Peter before he’d vanished. Peter’s father had explained he couldn’t take it any longer and that it was now Peter’s duty “ at the age of thirteen “ to take care of his mother. Peter understood his father’s despair; his little sister would have been the perfect child, unlike Peter. Even sickly and only a year old, Peter could tell she would have been a great witch “ not mediocre in any way.

This summer Peter had been helping his mother run her sweet shop. It was their only income now and it kept Peter’s mother occupied while he was away at Hogwarts. It was unfortunate the week Sirius had planned to visit James had fallen on the week of the anniversary of his sister’s passing. Peter had not the heart to request being allowed to stay over at James’s. He knew his mother would have agreed; she already felt guilty about making him work during his vacation, but Peter couldn’t leave her. This was a hard week for his mother and he was all she had.

Right now while Peter was offering silent comfort to his mother, James and Sirius were probably working on becoming Animagi. He really should have asked his mother to visit James though, he told himself for the hundredth time. He would have benefited from any help his friends could give him as Peter was already a step behind James and Sirius. Part of the problem was his friends could only help him to a point; a lot of the journey was solitary. They could coach him on the enchantment and brew the Revealing Potion, but in the end Peter would have to find it in himself.

Hidden in his room at this very moment was half a bottle of the Revealing Potion; he’d taken it already four or five times. Over the summer, even after finding a quiet area and using all his concentration, he had not felt that feeling he was supposed to feel “ the one described in their various books. Every person felt something different, but it was a feeling of fulfillment and understanding; all Peter had felt was frustration and nervousness.

The Revealing Potion didn’t reveal your true form literally, simply to your unconscious mind. It was all very complicated and Peter had a hard time deciphering it all. Peter knew he only had three more doses of the Potion left “ if he didn’t manage to successfully do it “ it would greatly set them back. The Potion took four months to brew and called for twenty different, nearly impossible to find ingredients. He could still recall that day the three of them had decided to start that venture and how they’d sworn that no one would be left behind; they’d all become Animagi or none of them would. At times he still half-wished that James and Sirius would one day sit him down and tell him that they were just going to go on with it, yet at the same time could not handle the idea of being left out. Regardless, he was the one holding them back and he hated himself for it.




Regulus had just returned from his aunt and uncle’s house. His mother and father had been away at the conference and Sirius had been at the Potters. Regulus entered the kitchen area, cringing at the raised voices. The loud voices should have not surprised him as there was always more yelling and fighting whenever Sirius was home. The tensest times in the Black household were when Sirius returned home from Hogwarts and from the Potters. As it was now the latter, Sirius would be ready to make it clear that he enjoyed spending time with the Potters more than his own blood; that he liked James more than his own brother. Their mother should have known to not rile Sirius with any pureblood talk; not now, with the blood-traitor doctrines of the Potter’s, still fresh in Sirius’s mind. Not that Sirius was any better; Regulus had come to the conclusion that Sirius to an extent enjoyed baiting their mother and father.

His brother was a conundrum; Regulus had tried to understand Sirius’s point of view, but was unable to. Why did it bother Sirius so much that they cared about looking after their own kind “ pure-bloods? It all made sense to Regulus. What was wrong about having proper wizarding pride? What was wrong about looking after your self-interest? The Mudbloods had been doing it; lobbying for years for equal treatment. The magical community was being diluted and fixing that problem was more important than individual rights and freedoms of any one. What rights did the Mudbloods really have anyway? Was it not enough that they were allowed to enroll at Hogwarts? Now they were taking away jobs from pure-bloods - whose ancestors had worked hard to protect their traditions, culture, and magical knowledge.

It was the ancestors of the Mudbloods that were responsible for forcing the magical community into hiding, hunting them down, burning them at the stake. They all knew if the Muggles had their way, all wizards and witches would be killed, or at the very least locked away and forced to do their biding; constantly badgered to fix this, fix that through magic. It was terribly dangerous to allow Mudbloods into Hogwarts because it was through these children that the gap between the wizard world and Muggle world narrowed. As the number of Mudbloods increased, as more and more Muggles learned magic existed through their relatives, and the likelihood all Muggles would learn of the Magical world’s existence increased. And unfortunately the number of Muggles greatly outnumbered wizards “ and though they did not have magic, Muggles had invented some devastating weapons that could endanger the magical world.

“You have no idea what you are saying, Mother. Muggle-borns are just as powerful as pure-bloods,” Sirius insisted. It was an argument they’d had before. Regulus could almost mimic each side of the argument. “There’s a girl in my year, and she’s one of the top students.”

Regulus knew Sirius was referring to Lily Evans; the Mudblood that Severus Snape desired. When it came to Snape, Regulus was in agreement with Sirius; he found the boy equally disagreeable. However Lucius Malfoy liked Snape, and though a half-blood, Snape was highly regarded in Slytherin. Snape was useful, his knowledge of curses and hexes outnumbered everyone; and he’d made enemies with Potter. No one in Slytherin liked Potter; partly because he was so conceited and his personality encompassed all the traits of a Gryffindor (these traits naturally clashed with Slytherin) “ but mainly because since Potter had joined the Quidditch team in his second year, Gryffindor was now a force to be reckoned with. The Slytherin team could no longer assume they’d win the House Cup as they had for the past five years before Potter joined the team.

“Very unusual; that Mudblood must be a freak. You can’t argue against Mudbloods being less powerful by that one pitiful example. Just because once in a blue moon a Mudblood is accidentally talented, does not mean the lot will be,” Mrs. Black argued.

“Obviously not. It’s the same with pure-bloods “ some are more talented than others, but it has nothing to do with blood. It’s just one of those things.”

“It has all to do with blood. Just look at our history - most, if not all, of our magical advances have been made by pure-bloods.”

“Only because pure-bloods have been holding the Muggle-borns back.”

“Just look at your friend, Lupin.”

There was a terrible silence. If there was one way to guarantee Sirius’s anger, it was to bring up one of his friends, and if you wanted to go the extra mile, insult them. Sirius’s loyalty to his mates bewildered Regulus. How could Sirius be so loyal to his friends while so easily dismissing the same loyalty he should have given his own family?

“What about Lupin?” Sirius growled.

“Father a pure-blood “ not an old family, pure nothing less, married a Muggle-born and look how their child turned out. Always ill…scraggly looking…and you know why? Bad blood!”

“That has nothing to do with that. That isn’t why he’s ill…”

“I see no contrary evidence. I’ve looked into his medical records.”

“You what?” There was fear in Sirius’s voice. Regulus wondered if he was hiding something about his friend.

“Oh, yes. I looked into the background of all your mates awhile ago. I had to know about the riffraff you were spending time with. The Potters, I was already very aware of…and the Pettigrews really had nothing interesting there…but the Lupins…At the age of four your friend was admitted ‘seriously injured’ to St. Mungo’s; yet any record besides that bit of information has vanished. Very peculiar.”

“I’m sure the records were just lost.”

“No, it looks like someone deliberately took them. I’ve spoken to various people abut the Lupins and they all agree that there’s something funny about your friend.”

“He’s just ill…there’s nothing suspicious or strange about it…”

“I did stop digging around. At the time I didn’t really see any profit in going deeper. If I were you though, I wouldn’t want to give me any reason to start looking further into things.”

Blackmailing…charming, Mother, Regulus thought to himself. His mother had attempted this strategy before and it only worked to an extent. Regulus decided it might be best to diffuse the situation and entered the room. Sirius turned his head, his grey eyes blazing with anger. He saw no ally in Regulus’s presence.

“Ah, Regulus. Take a seat, diner will be served soon.”

“Regulus, the good son,” Sirius murmured sarcastically under his breath.

Mrs. Black must have heard her older son’s words because she added, “That’s right. Not only the good son, Sirius, but the better one. Start shaping up, show some proper wizard pride, and act more like your brother and I’ll leave your little friend alone.”

Regulus smiled tightly at his mother. He had mixed feelings about his mother using him in comparison. On one hand he craved any compliment from his mother as he rarely received them; yet on the other hand he felt the compliments weren’t fully earned, since they were only spoken in hopes of getting Sirius to behave. If only his mother and father would give up on Sirius, would be satisfied just with him “ but Sirius was the eldest and the child that mattered.

“Regulus has righted all your wrongs, Sirius. He was sorted into Slytherin. He’s made friends with the right people, not blood-traitors. He shows a proper interest in the Dark Arts. He’s actually proud to be part of this family. And we don’t receive loads of detention notices about him.”

“Regulus is weak. He doesn’t think for himself, he just laps up all your pureblood nonsense,” snapped Sirius.

Regulus wanted to argue. He wanted to shout at Sirius that he hadn’t been given the choice. Sirius hadn’t seen the effects of his rebellion. He hadn’t witnessed their mother’s reaction to learning her heir had been sorted in Gryffindor and was slowly turning his back on all the values their family held. Regulus had to do what he was told; their mother would have been unable to take another son’s rebellion. Sirius had hurt their mother’s heart and Regulus would do whatever he could to repair it.

“Enough, Sirius! Now I want silence until your father arrives,” Mrs. Black said coldly.

“Yes, Mother,” Regulus replied. Sirius stayed stubbornly silent. Regulus looked away. Meals like this were becoming typical in their house; every year the arguments growing worse and worse.

Orion Black entered the room. Regulus rose to his feet; as did Sirius, but not without a moment of hesitation “ to demonstrate he wasn’t showing respect willingly. Orion nodded as he took a seat, and the family fell into a stiff polite conversation.




Severus skulked through the deserted streets near his house in Spinner’s End. He was walking back from meeting Lily Evans and he wished he had a solid reason not to return home to his bedroom. His room was not the most welcoming of spaces, with a small twin bed, lumpy mattress, and bare walls besides one Slytherin banner.

Lily and Severus had met for lunch in a small quaint café. Hogwarts was starting soon, and their letters had arrived. Lily excitedly relayed him the news that she had been appointed Gryffindor prefect.

“So when are you free to go to Diagon Alley to buy our books?” Snape asked.

Buying their books together had been a tradition for them since that first summer that they had both received their letters. He longed to spend some more time with Lily. Severus’s summer had been dull and boring and completely lacking of the company of Lily. On request of her parents Lily had found a job; babysitting a two year old and five year old from nine in the morning until two in the afternoon.

Snape had been busy too, helping his mother out in the Potions Shop. Ordinarily Snape enjoyed preparing and brewing potions, but so often did the days he worked fall on the days Lily had off that he felt an invisible being in the sky was laughing at his misery. It all came down to Severus not spending nearly enough time with Lily. Summer vacation had always been a time for their friendship to reconnect; Hogwarts tended to separate them as they’d been sorted into rival houses. Sometimes he wished to go back to their pre-Hogwarts days when Severus had been Lily’s only source about the magical world. He could no longer impress her with bits of knowledge.

“Oh “ well “ I already promised my roommates I’d meet up with them.” She paused looking at him directly. He tried to keep his face stony. “Why don’t you come along?”

There it was suddenly - the gap between them that grew larger as each year passed.

Severus envisioned the pack of silly giggling girls that panted after boys like Sirius Black and James Potter. “Do you think that’s a good idea?”

“You’re my friend-” she began.

“Best friend,” he corrected.

“Best friend, and they are my friends. It would be nice if you all got along.”

It took effort not to laugh in her face. Snape wanted to tell Lily that she was being naïve. He had nothing in common with a shallow group of girls; especially a shallow group of Gryffindor girls. Her friends had been many times in the group of spectators laughing while Potter or Black tormented him.

“It’s fine. I’ll go alone or find someone else to go with.”

“Severus,” she said, “don’t be like this.

“Lily, what would you say if I invited you to go with my roommates?”

“Your friends don’t think I deserve to lick the mud off their boots!”

This was not the first time Lily had admonished his choice in friends, and he used the term ‘friends’ very loosely. Snape wanted recognition and power “ and to be successful in Slytherin those were the sorts of people he needed on his side to rise up.

He needed Lily to understand his side of things.

“Are your friends any better? Have they not been trying to get you to drop our friendship since our first year at Hogwarts?”

Lily stayed quiet; it was the truth after all. “I haven’t listened, have I?”

Severus looked into her green eyes. His breath caught in his throat. His greatest fear was that one day she would listen “ that out of nowhere she’d suddenly stop speaking to him, ignore his existence as so many Hogwarts students did“ and then his life would fall into bleakness. He feared it was only a matter of time.

He should have explained to her how much her friendship mattered. He should have told her how deeply he cared for her, but as usual he left the most important things unsaid. They had gone on to other topics, but there was a definite coolness between them.

As Severus entered his house his mother called to ask where he had gone. He did not mention seeing Lily. Eileen Prince, Snape’s mother, did not approve of his friendship with Lily “ perhaps she even suspected his feelings ran deeper. Eileen blamed all of her problems on the Muggle she had married, Tobias Snape. Eileen still felt if she hadn’t fallen madly in love (something Snape couldn’t understand by the looks of his father now), she would have either been successful in a career or perhaps married into money. Eileen felt Lily would do the same for Severus; getting into a romantic relationship with her would hinder him. Eileen had been a Slytherin herself; she had known all about the stock many of those people put into purity of blood.

It was his mother who had taught him all those curses, hexes, and spells before Hogwarts. She’d known he’d be disadvantaged as a half-blood in Slytherin.

In his room Snape picked up the paper with notes he’d been scribbling. Last week he’d begun working on a spell of his own making. All words had a certain amount of energy or magic in them; and in order to invent a spell one needed to not only know the energy, but understand how to harness it.

Inventing spells was a scarcely known branch of magic. It was not as difficult as people suspected, but still a very time consuming, meticulous task; and was not something to attempt without first knowing about word energies. See, not all words had energy that was stable enough to be used in a spell. Then some words were stable alone, but not with another word. Other words appeared not to be stable at all until attached to a specific word. It took a lot of work, memorization, and a bit of luck to learn which letters and syllables should be placed together. Once that was accomplished, one had to learn how to harness the energy to do what you wanted, which was no simple task.

Snape had always been interested in control, being able to control your enemy, deny him the very personal human right of movement. He knew of the ‘Unforgivable Curse’ that allowed the caster to force its victim to do whatever the caster pleased. Snape had nothing against the spell, but he didn’t want to risk using it under the nose of the Headmaster “ who was vehemently against anything that even slightly crossed the line toward the Dark Arts.

Snape sat down. He’d already picked the word “ corpus. A stable word usually “ not too high energy “ it fit with a lot of words. He tried a dozen prefixes in front of it, but every prefix he’d tested so far had failed. At this point he was not checking if the actual spell worked, but if the energy of the words fit. There was one more of the list. He wrote the word out on the enchanted parchment:

‘Levicorpus.’

Snape swished his wand around; he didn’t have to worry about the underage magic law “ their house was considered magical. The word turned green, blue, and then red. Severus felt a rush of accomplishment. The words fit together; the energy was stable, so now he just needed to find something or better yet, someone to test it on…




Author’s Note: Thanks for reading, now do the right thing and leave a review ;)
Mrs. Potter's Cookies by Lioness06
Chapter 3 - Mrs. Potter’s Cookies



It was pouring. Large drops of water were falling from the menacing dark sky; plummeting down to earth, splattering on the pavement, the stalled train, and drenching the young witches and wizards returning to Hogwarts.

“James, promise you’ll write to us tomorrow-”

“I will, Mum.”

The Potter family was huddled under an umbrella that they had enchanted to hover over them. The few areas by the train station that had awnings overhead were overtaken with first years and their families. James was taking advantage of the rain to say goodbye to his folks sooner than he’d anticipated. He loved them dearly, but their affection could sometimes be smothering.

“Perhaps you could cut down the detentions? We don’t expect miracles, but maybe lessen it to half from last year, son?” Mr. Potter asked. His hair which had been as dark as his son’s was now grey, but as full as in his youth.

“Well “ I’ll try,” James answered. It was an impressive feat for anyone to elicit any guilt from James about his tendency to cause trouble and thus earn detention. James couldn’t imagine any other father requesting, not that their son not get into any trouble “ just lessen it, which would still be more than most students received. His parents were indulging and James was aware of this fact.

“Wish Sirius well for us and Remus also, and tell Peter we’re sorry we didn’t see him this summer and give them the-” Mrs. Potter rambled.

“I will!” James hugged his mother once more. “See you at Christmas.”

“Take care, James,” his parents called together.

James sprinted toward the Hogwarts Express using the full length of his legs. It was no use “ even the fastest person in the world would have been soaked in seconds. Inside the train finally, James looked back, barely being able to discern his parents from the other huddled masses through the curtains of rain. James waved one last time, and then dried himself off with a flick of his wand.

James was glad to going back to Hogwarts and be amongst his peers again. James was sociable by nature, and during the summer he missed not being constantly around other people his age.

A student exiting a compartment a few down from where James stood called out, “Good summer, Potter?” It was Terry Keeler, a dark skinned boy, tall and thin, known for his clumsiness and his guitar playing. He was one out of James’s six dorm mates.

“All right. You?”

“Went by too bloody fast. Do you know who made prefect? It’s Evans for the girls. I know it’s not me or Newbell.”

Derek Newbell was another of James’s roommates. His three mates, Sirius, Remus, and Peter also shared the dorm with them.

James shrugged; it had slipped his mind completely that prefects were being “ or had already been “ selected for their year.

“Not me or Sirius, which leaves-”

“Pettigrew or Lupin.”

“Yea,” James agreed thoughtfully. He’d been in contact with both over the past week and neither had mentioned it. James doubted it was Peter; he didn’t have the resilience needed for the job. Was it Remus? One of their gang had been elected prefect?

“There goes my sister. I need to remind her about something…see you at the feast,” Keeler said.

“Yea, ok.”

James began making his way down the train. He wasn’t seeking a specific compartment, just as long as it was in the back area of the train. Finally reaching the part of the train that James considered to be far enough back, he slid open one of the compartment doors to find Derek Newbell and Jamie Gordon. They were interlocked in a kiss, or in a more appropriate description - eating each other’s faces in a rather repulsive manner.

James backed out of the compartment, not bothering with uttering an apology. The couple hadn’t even noticed him, which on further contemplation, might have been intentional. At the end of last year Derek’s kissing skills had come into question. Derek probably hoped James would report to his friends what he had witnessed and that it would spread around the school dispelling any rumor that Derek still lacked in the kissing department.

Of course, just because Jamie was allowing Derek to kiss her didn’t automatically mean Derek had improved. Now James didn’t usually put much thought into another male’s ability to kiss, but there was more to the story. It had all started because the Gryffindor girls in their year had decided to play a game called ‘Truth.’ One of the questions posed to all the girls was which boy had given them their ‘best kiss.’ Jamie Gordon (the same Jamie who had just been kissing Derek) had revealed that her ‘best kiss’ had been by Sirius.

Word had gotten around about this proclamation and it wouldn’t have ordinarily been a big problem except Jamie had been already going out with Derek at the time for a few months (and it was only natural assumption that the two of them had kissed).

So upon hearing this Derek became rather humiliated; especially when rumors began spreading that he was a horrible kisser. Instead of blaming his girlfriend, who did nothing to alleviate the rumors, Derek turned on Sirius. Sirius really wasn’t at fault since the kiss between Jamie and Sirius had occurred before Derek and Jamie had been going out. James felt that Jamie should have used better discretion in answering the kissing question.

Since Derek blamed Sirius for this particular problem, a coolness had settled between them. Derek had started glaring daggers at Sirius from a distance and then began ignoring him completely whenever they were within a few feet of each other. This had caused some tension to arise between the six roommates and as expected they had all taken sides. Derek and Terry on one side and James, Sirius, Remus and Peter on the other side.

The tension had interrupted their ‘live and let live’ atmosphere of the dorm. Derek and Terry had always turned a blind eye whenever James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were plotting pranks in the dorm. James hoped all bridges had been mended and that Derek wouldn’t bring up the kissing matter again. With a new school year beginning, there would be lots of prank plotting, and James didn’t want to have to worry about a snitch.

James moved on to the next compartment, and upon finding it empty, he stowed his trunk inside it. He returned immediately back to the corridor to hail his friends; they all should be arriving soon as the train would leave in a few minutes. Sure enough James spotted Sirius making his way down. His younger brother was in front of him and Regulus paused suddenly at a compartment five up from where James stood.

James couldn’t make out their words, but from the gist of their expressions Regulus was trying to get Sirius to sit in a Gryffindor-free compartment.

Sirius finally getting agitated stated loudly, “Then lie to her! If you are so worried about Mother, then tell her I rode in your compartment! No one will know.”

Regulus looked ahead, searching for words to berate his older brother, when his eyes took in James, he closed his mouth; the argument was over, Regulus knew he had no chance convincing Sirius with James nearby and disappeared into the compartment.

Sirius gestured rudely to the back of his brother, before smiling and waving at James. James looked over his friend carefully. Sirius was as downtrodden from the rain was everyone else, but somehow, as always, he made the look work for him. On closer inspection, Sirius looked a little paler than usual, but not as thin as when he’d come back from previous summers. James absentmindedly ran a hand through his own hair. He’d given up trying to get it to lie flat. Now he embraced the messiness “ even ruffling it on purpose “ and it had become habitual.

“All right, Sirius?” James asked.

“Yes, now that I’m away from that Merlin-forsaken house.”

“Just think, if they don’t make you come home for the winter holiday, you won’t have to see them for-”

“Ten months…I’ve counted,” Sirius said.

James helped Sirius put his trunk away in the compartment.

“Cheers, mate,” Sirius replied lounging on one of the seats. “Mum pack any of those cookies?”

James rolled his eyes. “Yes, I’m fine, Sirius, thanks for asking.”

Sirius laughed. “I know you’re fine. We spoke a few days ago, didn’t we?”

“Common courtesy, didn’t your mum teach you manners.”

“Hmmm…well since you are a blood-traitor, I don’t suppose, according to my dear Mother, any courtesy would be necessary…”

James laughed flinging the bag of cookies toward Sirius “ his mother’s cookies. They were a favorite among his friends and every student at Hogwarts who had tasted them. He’d lost count of the number of fellow classmates who had declared them ‘the best cookies in the world’ after one bite.

“So anything life changing happen since I talked with you?” Sirius asked him mouth full of cookies.

“Well, no-” James admitted peeking out of the compartment hoping to spot Remus or Peter.

“See, I knew it.”

Though he didn’t see Remus or Peter in the mess of students clamoring to find an open seat, Aidan Gallagher, Captain of the Quidditch team, since last year, was stepping out of the compartment across the aisle.

Aidan at least had the decency to greet him before asking, “Mrs. Potter make anymore of those cookies, Potter?”

“Help yourself. You better hurry or Sirius will have eaten them all.”

Gallagher entered the compartment, taking a seat after wrestling away a few cookies. James took a seat as well.

“So I owled McGonagall over the summer…I was hoping she’d allow us to start practicing this week, but unfortunately she said she could not bend the rules for us. The rule doesn’t make any sense. Why can’t we practice the first week back? It isn’t like we need to put a new team together “ all we need is one Beater. After a whole summer, everyone will be rusty. If McGonagall wants us to win the Cup again this year, she should want us practicing as soon as possible,” Gallagher grumbled.

“Right,” James agreed. Though practices could be tiring and arduous, James couldn’t wait for the Quidditch season to begin.

As the boys continued to discuss Quidditch, the compartment door opened and a slightly plump blonde-haired boy entered. “I’ve done it! I’ve done it!” Peter exclaimed and he stopped short seeing Aidan inside.

“Done what?” Aidan inquired interestedly.

“Er-” Peter stammered looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Snogged a girl,” Sirius replied smoothly in Peter’s stead. Peter colored, but Sirius’s quick thinking did the trick. It wasn’t as if they could tell Aidan that Peter had finally made advancement in his Animagus training.

Aidan, trying not to laugh, said, “Well, congrats I suppose.”

Peter took a seat next to Sirius. “Oh! Cookies!” Peter cried, immediately forgetting about his moment of embarrassment. James carefully looked at Peter’s robes “ no prefect badge on there. The door slid open once more, and Remus Lupin entered, or at that moment his trunk, since it was being pushed in front of him.

James and Aidan jumped up to help Remus get his trunk on the rack above where they’d been sitting. Remus looked harried and tired “ full moon was still two weeks away though, and he never showed symptoms this early. Remus straightened; he was the only one already in his school robes, and there pinned on his robe was a golden ‘P.’

“Running late?” James asked.

“Yes, my mum was sick-”

There was a long pause of silence when James, Peter, and Sirius all stared at Remus with expressions of surprise. Before they had known Remus was a werewolf, during nights of the full moon, Remus had used the excuse of visiting an ill mother for his absences.

“No “ she - really is sick. I had to call all the children’s parents she watches…”
Remus’s mother owned a small daycare for magical toddlers. “Anyway it was a nightmare “ all the mothers yelling at me like it was my fault.”

Remus glanced down at his watch. “Bugger and I’m going to be late for the-”

“Prefect meeting,” James supplied for him with a smirk.

“Prefect?” Sirius asked bewildered, and for the first time since he sat down discarding the bag of cookies. “You’ve been made prefect?”

Before Remus could reply, Olivia Pritchard, Keeker of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, was knocking on the door, a small first year with tears in her eyes clutching her hand. “Gallagher, your sister is looking for you.”

Aidan stood up and little girl threw her arms around him and in the commotion of two other extra people in the compartment, Remus made his escape. “I’ll be back in a bit!” he called. He disappeared down toward the beginning of the train where the prefect compartment was rumored to be located. James didn’t know for sure “ he’d never had any inclination to check it out.

Olivia left with Aidan and his sister, finally leaving the three friends alone.

“Prefect?” Sirius repeated, incredulous, his gaze on the spot Remus had stood. “You knew about this James?”

“Not until this morning.”

“I figured Keller “ even Newbell before one of us.”

“I know,” James agreed. Not that Newbell or Keeler had any specific leadership qualities that Remus lacked. In comparison to James and Sirius, Remus was very well-behaved, though that wasn’t a difficult achievement. And Remus had plenty of times taken part in their ‘marauding,’ which was how they referred to their plans. It sounded so much more grownup than ‘pranking.’ Even if the Professors and Headmaster weren’t aware of Remus’s involvement since when Remus did involve himself he didn’t get caught very often, it was still strange for them to consider anyone who was so closely associated with the two biggest troublemakers at Hogwarts.

“I can’t believe he didn’t tell us,” Sirius said indignantly.

“I wouldn’t have,” Peter said.

“Why not?”

“As if you’ll ever let him live this down.”

“Of course we won’t. What kind of friends would we be if we didn’t tease him about it?” Sirius said with a grin. “It is, after all, our right as his friends.” Sirius paused a moment. “Anyway I warned Remus about this. I told him his being ‘the good boy’ of the group would have repercussions.”

“Well, most people see being elected prefect as something praiseworthy, Sirius,” Peter said. “You know, having all those privileges.”

“Such as?”

Peter thought for a moment. “The Professors trusting and respecting you.”

“Ugh! Not something I’d want. Who would want that sort of worry and responsibility?”

“Being able to give out detentions,” Peter added.

“Why would you want to give out detentions? It will just make everyone else mad at you,” Sirius said

“How about use of the prefect bathroom?”

“Wow…a special bathroom…sign me up,” Sirius replied sarcastically. “So Peter, if you’d been selected, you would have accepted?”

“Yea, I suppose so.”

“How about you, James?”

“Nah. Though it would be quite cool to be able to put Snivellus in detention for just looking at me funny.”

“I’d rather just curse Snivellus; much more satisfying,” Sirius replied.

“Hmm…true,” James agreed.

“Where is Remus anyway?” Sirius asked.

“Don’t worry he can’t hide from us forever,” James said.

Remus could, however, prolong coming back to their compartment. It wasn’t until forty-five minutes later that Lily Evans slid open the door to their compartment.

“Oh, it’s just you lot,” she remarked.

James suddenly felt his stomach flip “ the sort of feeling he always got right before a flying onto the Quidditch pitch.

Remus appeared next to Lily looking a bit colored in the face.

“I offer my condolences on being elected prefect, Evans,” Sirius stated somberly.

“Condolences?” Lily repeated, her eyebrows raised.

“I can’t imagine anyone wanting to be a prefect…just think of all the students targeting you and all the troublemakers you’ll have to deal with…I don’t envy the job ahead of you.”

“Such as yourself?” Lily questioned.

“No worries about James and me. Remus will keep us in line. He already put me in detention for putting my feet on the seat. When’s the detention again?”

“Friday, and you’ll have one Saturday too if you don’t stay quiet,” Remus said, his tone too mild to be taken seriously.

“See, Evans. James and I will be whipped into shape in no time. Between you and me, I think the power has already corrupted him,” Sirius said.

Lily turned to Remus, a perplexing look on her face. Remus shook his head. “Don’t pay any attention to him, Lily.”

James had not involved himself at all in the conversation. Instead, he found himself unable to tear his eyes off Lily. She had her auburn hair down “ not in braids or in a pony tail like usual “ her green eyes sparkled with an extra brightness. She’d grown and her body had developed since James had last seen her. Lily looked rested and healthy “ the sprinkle of freckles along the bridge of her nose and cheeks stood out more than before. James had never given Lily anymore thought than any of the other Gryffindor girls in his year. He knew she was intelligent and a bit cheeky, and she didn’t giggle or pay as much attention to his and his friends’ antics as the other females at Hogwarts.

“What, Potter?” Lily asked. She’d noticed his attention.

“Er- nothing.” James looked at Sirius in hopes that his friend could help him divert the fact he’d been staring. His eyes immediately took in the bag of cookies and he grabbed onto the subject. “Want a cookie?”

“A cookie?” she asked.

James nodded and motioned to Sirius who held out the bag toward her“ now half full.

“We wouldn’t poison you,” Sirius said when he saw her hesitation. “Even though you are a prefect.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “Thank you, Black. Very kind of you.” She removed a cookie and took a bite out of it. “These are really good. Who made these?”

“Mrs. Potter, of course!” Peter supplied. “After four years in Gryffindor you’ve never tasted them before?”

“No,” Lily admitted.

“Blimey,” Peter said. James had to agree with Peter. His mother owled packages of sweets and goodies, including these cookies, often enough throughout the years that it seemed impossible that anyone in Gryffindor (especially anyone in his year) hadn’t tasted her famous cookies at least once.

Finished eating the cookie Lily turned to Remus and asked, “Are you returning to the prefect compartment or staying with this lot?”

James could see the wheels turning in Remus’s head. He was debating whether it was better to face them now about being a prefect or delay it until the feast.

Remus hesitated for a moment and then replied, “I’m sitting with them.”

“I can finish up with the last two compartments then. See you at feast.” She was almost out the door when she looked back. “Thanks for the cookie.”

“You’re welcome, Evans,” James said. Lily smiled at him and James’s stomach flipped again. He wondered if anyone had noticed his strange reaction to Lily; it didn’t appear they had.

Remus sat down with resignation. He gazed at them silently each in turn.

Though when no one uttered a sound, Remus said, “Pass the cookies, Sirius.”

“Right away, sir!”

Remus caught the bag of cookies, but did not open it. “So, Peter, how was your summer? I barely heard from you.”

“Busy, but boring. I helped my mum in the shop a lot.”

Remus nodded and the silence around them widened.

Remus ate two cookies before he finally burst out, “Can you just get it over with already?”

“Get what over with?” James asked innocently.

“About me being prefect! Come on I’m prepared. Just get it out of your system. I’m ready.”

“Oh, that…” Sirius said. “Congratulations.”

“That’s it? You’re congratulating me?”

“Yes. What did you expect? For us to harp on you for keeping being a prefect a secret? Tease you for being the ‘good boy’ of the group? Ask you to put Snivellus in detention for the rest of the year?” James asked.

“Yes!”

“Sorry to disappoint you,” Sirius said with a wide smile.

“Look I know I should have told you sooner I was prefect.”

“Especially after we agreed we wouldn’t have any secrets between us,” Sirius chimed in.

“I wasn’t sure I even wanted to be prefect…” Remus explained.

“Really? Why?” James asked in surprise.

“I was worried how it could complicate things. What if I have duties on the night of the full moon? What if someone notices the pattern? But my parents were so proud. They never believed I’d be admitted to Hogwarts after you-know-what, and to be elected prefect they said was a great achievement for “ for my kind.”

“No, it isn’t a great achievement for your kind,” James said causing Remus to look up suddenly. “It’s a great achievement for you, individually.”

“That’s right,” Sirius agreed and Peter nodded his head vigorously.

“You know of all the possible scenarios I thought this conversation would go, I never imagined it to go this way… you three convincing me that I should be prefect,” Remus said with a laugh.

“Well, it isn’t like we don’t have the entire year to tease you about it,” Sirius stated.

“Just one very important question,” James added.

“What?” Remus asked apprehensively.

“Would it be terribly inconvenient to put Snivellus in detention, say for the next two years?” James questioned, his voice in the perfect tone of innocence.

Remus pretended to give it some thought. “I don’t think my prefect power could quite accomplish that.”

“Oh well,” James said looking disappointed. “A week perhaps?”

“Not unless he does something wrong. We do have to write a report for each detention we give out,” Remus explained.

“I can arrange that.” James grinned wickedly.

Remus groaned. It was going to be an interesting year.




Another’s note: Thanks for reading! Leave a review and let me know what you liked and didn’t like about the chapter!
A Proposal by Lioness06
Author's Notes:
I'd like to thank my beta, without her help this chapter wouldn't be nearly as polished as it is.
Chapter 4: A Proposal


“And she couldn’t keep her hands off me.” William Travers grinned. “Right there on the beach with everyone watching.”

Severus Snape attempted to look interested in Travers’s boasting. It was something he was used to dealing with. After the summer vacation, all the Slytherins tended to spend most of the train ride bragging, and swapping and comparing stories. Snape didn’t bother competing with them; instead, he acted as if he were ‘above’ such frivolous endeavours.

“She was two years older than me too,” Travers continued, enjoying the envious glances. All five of Snape’s roommates were there: William Travers, David Avery, Rowan Mulciber, Zachary Wilkes, and Evan Rosier.

According to Travers, he’d had an intense summer romance with the seventeen-year-old daughter of a family friend “ she didn’t attend Hogwarts “ on some exotic island. Travers certainly looked liked he’d spent his summer in the sun; his tanned skin brought out his blue eyes and complemented his blonde hair.

“Does she happen to have a sister?” Zachary Wilkes asked casually. He had his hands folded behind his head, and his new prefect badge glinted in the light.

“Yes, but she’s a tad young for you,” Travers replied with a laugh. “She’s only eight.”

“What about you, Snape? Get lucky with that Mudblood of yours?” Evan Rosier inquired.

Snape kept his face impassive. His roommates liked nothing more than to mock him about his infatuation with Lily. Of course, they saw it as one-sided lust, and Snape wanted to keep it that way. As long as they believed Lily was completely out of his league, they’d both be safe. After all, it wasn’t the first time a wizard had been entranced by the wiles of a Mudblood female. Lily was his first friend, but it wasn’t as if he could explain this to his Slytherin friends.

“Have you been with a girl lately Rosier?” Severus quipped back.

“Is your Mudblood holding out? She looks like a prude to me,” Rosier said, not answering the question.

“We don’t have contact “ romantic or otherwise,” Snape replied evenly. It wasn’t an outright lie. He’d barely seen or spoken to Lily this summer.

“As it should be,” Rowan Mulciber said, entering the conversation. Snape gave a slight nod of his head. Mulciber's dark eyes turned on Snape. “Don’t waste your efforts on a Mudblood “ there are dozens of purer, worthier girls. Though, we understand you have needs Severus, and if Miss Evans can satisfy them, well . . .”

Everyone in the compartment but Severus made noises of agreement and approval. He knew his face was red in embarrassment. He didn’t like hearing them speak of Lily in this crude manner “ his Lily. She was an attractive girl; Snape was naïve to think no other male would notice.

“Good thing you are so adept at Love Potions, eh?” Rosier pointed out suggestively.

Wilkes looked Severus up and down. “He wouldn’t need Love Potions if he stepped outside once in a while. Girls are alarmed by your paleness, Severus.”

When Severus remained silent, Rosier spoke for him, “We all know Snape has more important things to do than lying in the sun.”

“That’s right,” Snape replied. “I had a productive summer.”

Snape was known for his extensive knowledge of curses and hexes, and he had continued advancing his knowledge over the summer. None of them knew, however, that he’d been working on inventing spells, and Snape couldn’t wait to awe them.

“Well show us!” Wilkes demanded. The five occupants of the compartment looked at Snape with a mixture of eagerness, greed, and apprehension.

“Not here,” hissed Snape.

“You don’t have to worry about the prefects. I told them I’d take care of this compartment,” Wilkes explained with a wave of his hand.

“Shouldn’t you be patrolling?” Snape asked.

“Nah, Joanne Fin is Head Girl. She won’t write me up.” He named a seventh-year Slytherin.

“And Head Boy?”

“Jacob Long from Ravenclaw, and he won’t interfere if he knows what’s good for him.”

“I’ll show you tonight,” Snape insisted, closing the subject.




“I think the amount of first years has doubled from last year,” Remus Lupin said as he strode over to Lily. “This one wouldn’t believe me when I said they’d be traveling to the castle by boats. He said I was lying and that he’d tell his older brother on me.”

Lily laughed. As the new Gryffindor prefects, they were supposed to make sure all the students got safely off the train, first years towards the boats and the rest of the students into the carriages.

The rain had subsided for the most part, but the sky was still threatening. She scanned the crowd, not looking for anyone in particular. Her eyes stopped suddenly on Potter and Black. The two of them were laughing at something “ they were always laughing and always together. Her gaze stayed on Potter, shifting from his messy hair waving in the breeze to his lips curled in mirth . . . .

Mary McDonald thought Potter had a cute butt . . . .

Lily shook her head “ why on earth had her thoughts strayed to Potter like that? And now Remus was looking at her strangely. Had he noticed her longer-than-necessary gaze at Potter?

“I’m glad to be back at Hogwarts; aren’t you?” he asked.

She nodded, thankful that he was too much of a gentleman to say anything about her staring at James.

“My sister Petunia can’t understand it. She hates school.”

“She goes to Hogwarts?” Remus asked in surprise.

“No, a Muggle school.” She suddenly spotted Severus skulking in the crowd. She hadn’t seen him on the platform or the train. Severus’s eyes met hers, but he would not approach her while she stood there talking with Lupin. Severus had made enemies with Black and Potter the first day at Hogwarts “ on the train ride “ through an argument over Houses. Lupin was friends with Potter and Black, so that automatically made him Severus's enemy as well. “I see Severus. Do you mind? I haven’t spoken with him in ages.”

“Snape?” For the second time in a short period, Remus looked at her strangely. “Oh, right. Go ahead.”

“We live close to each other. I knew him before Hogwarts,” she said quickly, even though she didn’t owe Lupin an explanation.

Lily walked toward Snape swiftly. He smiled as she drew closer. Snape didn’t genuinely smile often, though she’d told him once how much friendlier and more approachable he looked when he did.

“Lily!” She felt the intensity of his eyes on her. “I missed you on the train.”

“I know. All these prefect duties. They make the fifth years do most of the patrolling,” Lily said. “Your mate Wilkes was already skiving duties.”

“I know,” Snape replied. “He was pretty confident he wouldn’t be written up.”

“He probably won’t with Fin as Head Girl. No one was thrilled to hear she’d been appointed “ apparently she’s never taken her duties seriously.”

“Gryffindors have always hated it when a Slytherin beats them at something…”

“It wasn’t only Gryffindor prefects complaining, Sev,” Lily retorted. She hated this. The rivalry between their Houses was always there, even if it went unspoken.

Lily felt herself being pushed into Snape as someone roughly walked by them. It was Leila Yaxley, and wherever she was headed, she looked very intent on her destination.

Severus opened his mouth to add something, but “

“Sirius Black!”

Lily and Severus weren’t the only ones to look towards the voice. Lily was surprised to find that it was Leila Yaxley who had yelled the name. The din of the crowd lowered considerably; every student nearby was watching the scene with interest.

Black looked up, unconcerned, as if girls regularly yelled his name across crowds.

“Yes?” Black asked, crossing his arms.

Leila strode up right in front of him. “Because of you “ because of what you did “ my parents did not let me out of their sight for the whole summer! I couldn’t leave the house without a chaperon!”

“Do you know what this is about?” Lily whispered to Severus.

“No,” Snape answered back with a growl. Snape looked disappointed by her interest. After all, she wasn’t like some of her friends, who lived on gossip.

“Are you sure it was because of me?” Sirius asked.

“Yes! Merlin, Sirius, my father likes to entertain the idea that I’ve never held hands with a boy “ let alone kissed one!”

Lily glanced at Snape, and he reluctantly shared a smile.

“Can I offer another kiss in lieu of an apology?”

There was a sudden silence. Leila looked ready to slap Sirius, but she was so shocked by the audacity of his question that she could not move nor speak.

“No?” Sirius asked.

Leila’s face was now turning rather stormy.

“Look, I did you a favour….”

“A favour?” Leila’s voice rose.

“Now you can have a proper pureblood marriage. I’m a Gryffindor, a blood-traitor. Surely you’ve always expected a better match than that?”

“Did you ever stop to think I didn’t care?”

It was Sirius’s turn to be stunned into silence. However, he didn’t have a chance to respond properly.

“Black, Yaxley, could you please continue your lovers' spat in the carriages?” Jacob Long, the Head Boy, had broken through the crowd.

Leila whirled around, disappearing into the mass of students, her friends pushing through everyone to run after her.

“Come on! Move it into the carriages,” Long called out to everyone, and slowly, buzzing with new gossip, students complied.

“Did you know they were dating?” Lily asked Snape.

“They aren’t,” Severus snapped shortly.

Something went on between them . . . .” Lily murmured.

“If you care so much about it, why don’t you just ask Black?” Snape questioned sourly. His face softened a little after a moment. “Let’s go find a carriage “”

“Lily!” a group of girls squealed. Lily and Severus were suddenly surrounded by her group of friends, all chatting, hugging, and laughing. She could sense that Severus was growing uncomfortable as her friends pushed Snape to the side.

He started walking away. She ran after him, stopping him with a light hand on his shoulder. He looked startled by her touch. “I can’t sit with you Severus. I need to hang back with the prefects to make sure no one is left behind.” Snape looked so disappointed that she added, “We’ll catch up later.”

“Right,” Severus muttered under his breath. He was gone without saying goodbye. She was losing Snape “ their friendship slowly dissipating “ and she didn’t know what to do about it.




The Great Hall was adorned with splendour. The ceiling mirrored the night sky, hundreds of candles floated in the air, and the banners of the four houses hung proudly above each of the four tables.

“I reckon she really likes you,” James said to Sirius as they sat down beside each other at the Gryffindor table. Remus and Peter took seats across from them.

Sirius shrugged. He’d thought he’d taken care of the Leila situation over the summer. He wanted Leila to leave him alone, but at the same time, he couldn’t hide from the fact that he’d been very disappointed that Leila hadn’t taken his offer of a second kiss.

“I wish we didn’t have to wait until after the sorting to eat,” Peter complained. Sirius, James, and Remus shared a smile at Peter’s comment; he said that same thing every year.

The first years entered and the annual sorting began. Sirius had a sudden flashback to his brother’s sorting two years back. Regulus, with all the majesty of a proper Black, had strutted up to the chair, placing the hat securely on his head, and looked straight at Sirius as the Hat called “Slytherin!” Regulus had acted so smug and satisfied that first week of school whenever he and his brother had met. It had driven Sirius crazy, but if there was any competition for their parents’ affection, it was all in Regulus’s mind. Sirius didn’t need his mother or father’s approval, or at least he did whatever he could to convince others that he didn’t care a wit about them.

Looking over at the Slytherin table, Sirius received an unwelcome surprise. Regulus was seated beside Snape, and they were conversing. He had never seen them acting so friendly before in public, though he wasn’t privy to what went on in the Slytherin Common Room.

The last first year became a Hufflepuff, and Professor Dumbledore stood up, ready with his welcoming speech. It was quick, reminding students of the rules and introducing the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Keenan. The new teacher was in his mid-twenties, with dark hair and eyes, and he was dressed in casual wizard robes in stark contrast with the other Professors’ formal wear.

“He looks like he could be fun,” James murmured.

“Oh, he’s so handsome!” a sixth-year girl seated next to Sirius whispered excitedly, and the girls around her giggled.

The food appeared on the table, and everyone began eating.

By the time the desserts appeared, Sirius was so stuffed that he couldn’t properly enjoy the assortment of cakes and cookies. Then the same sixth-year girl who’d thought Professor Keenan was good looking handed him a folded note written on pale green paper.

“Who’s this from?” he asked her suspiciously, but the girl said she didn’t know. She was just passing the note along.

Sirius unfolded the note as discreetly as he could, though James leaned over so he could read it. Leila Yaxely wanted to meet after the feast in a not so well-travelled area of the first floor. All the students would be headed to their respective Houses, so they’d be very alone.

“Maybe she changed her mind about the kiss,” James sniggered.

“From Yaxley?” Peter asked eagerly.

“Yes.” His answer so soft that it was barely audible.

“She wants to meet Sirius alone in a dark corridor,” James elaborated.

“You get all the luck,” Peter said enviously. Peter was oblivious to the fact Sirius didn’t look too keen on receiving this girl’s attention.

“Are you going to meet her?” Remus asked.

“I don’t know,” Sirius replied crumpling the note in his hand.




At the welcoming feast, Severus was disappointed to find himself seated next to Regulus Black. It wasn’t as if Snape had a choice; Rabastan Lestrange, a seventh year, had invited both of them into his circle of friends.

Snape knew he should try to get along with Regulus, but he found Black to be as haughty and cocky as his older brother. The Blacks were strong allies with the Malfoys, and Lucius Malfoy, who’d graduated a few years ago, had taken an interest in Severus since his first year. Lucius would have expected him to be civil and polite to the boy. However, staying silent proved to be too much, and Severus couldn’t stop himself from saying snidely, “I see your brother made a spectacle of himself again.”

Regulus bristled, just as Snape had intended.

“Yaxely did as well,” Lestrange interjected, surprising Snape, until he remembered that Rabastan’s older brother Rodolphus had recently married Black’s cousin Bellatrix, so it was only natural he’d be more concerned about the Blacks’ standing. “She had better watch her behaviour, or her only suitor will be Sirius.”

Lestrange waited a moment for someone to contradict his statement. No one did.

“How are things with you, Snape?” Lestrange asked. His change of topic made it quite clear there would be nothing more said about Sirius at the table.

“You live in a very Muggle-inhabited area, don’t you?” Regulus asked. “How do you stand it? Living with all that filth? Who knows what you might have contracted?”

Regulus was being perfectly serious. He, like many pure-bloods, truly believed that Muggles were lesser beings. Snape agreed to a certain point. Just thinking of his Muggle father and Lily’s sister . . . both idiots. Lily’s Muggle parents, whom Snape had met on occasion weren’t as awful as his father, but their naiveté made them weak. Though Severus lived in a poor neighbourhood, he was among the richest and elitist of the wizarding world. It was not hard for Snape to agree with his Housemates’ disdainful views of Muggles because he came across so many Muggles who were definitely not excellent examples of the human race. After all, having magic made wizards stronger and more powerful, so did this not also make them the better race?

“It is difficult, but I manage,” Severus answered stiffly. “And Muggles do have their uses . . . .” He let the sentence hang.

Rabastan grinned widely. “They sure do.”

“But surely you can’t do magic “ you’re underage, and with all those Muggles around . . . the Ministry would never allow it,” Regulus protested.

“Ah, but my house is considered magical. Inside I can do all the magic I want. My Mum has no qualms, so it’s just a matter of luring the Muggle inside, and then I can have all the fun I want.”

Snape was exaggerating just a tad, making it sound as if he made regular business of bating innocent Muggles. He’d only done it to those that truly deserved it.

“You allow them inside your house?” Regulus sounded revolted.

“Don’t be a baby, Regulus,” admonished Lestrange. “We have no reason to fear Muggles. Their filth and dirt can be dealt with. If Snapes needs victims to practice on, then at least he’s being smart about it.”

Severus cast a triumphant look at Regulus. It was rare to receive a compliment in front of a Black.

When the feast ended, Severus separated himself from the students heading to the lower regions of the castle. Wilkes was leading the first years to the dungeons; apparently this was a job he could not slither out of. He decided on a longer, less-travelled route to the Slytherin common room. Snape was so lost in his thoughts “ mainly about Lily “ that it took a moment for the call of his loathsome nickname to register.

“Oy, Snivellus!”

Ahead of Snape stood Sirius Black, who was leaning against a wall lazily, wand in hand. Snape regarded the boy warily, expecting Potter to pop out at any moment.

“Are you lost Black?” Snape asked, slowly moving his hand inside his robes to retrieve his wand.

“What were you and my brother talking about during the feast?” Sirius asked, his wand still held loosely in his hand.

Snape’s own hand froze on his wand. Did Sirius think he and Regulus were buddies? Did Sirius still care about his younger brother? His mind whirled, calculating the ways to exploit this information.

Snape grinned maliciously. “Just talking. Regulus is very eager to prove that he isn’t a failure like you. There are so many things I can teach him.”

Sirius growled. “Stay away from him.”

“You’ll have to take that up with him. Your brother practically begged to be seated next to me.”

Funny that Sirius would go after Snape when Lestrange and Mulciber held a much greater level of control over Regulus.

“He doesn’t need you poisoning his mind!”

“If you need someone to blame, just look in the mirror. If you’d only fulfilled your duties as heir, Regulus might not feel the need to rectify all your “”

Severus was unable to finish the sentence. With two swishes, Black disarmed him and placed a Leg“Locker Curse on him. Snape fell to the ground with a crash.

“Snape?” a female voice called.

Severus looked up from his position on the floor. Leila Yaxley was staring down at him with a bewildered expression on her face, but she did not seem at all surprised to see Sirius.

“Lift the curse, Sirius,” Leila commanded.

“Why should I?” argued Sirius.

It suddenly dawned on Snape. Yaxley and Black were not there by coincidence. They’d clearly planned to meet in this very hallway “ by a stroke of rotten luck, he’d gotten in the way.

“I suggest you do what she says, young man.”

A fourth person had joined their group: the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Keenan.

Sirius glanced at the new teacher, gauging the level of authority he held, before grudgingly lifting the curse. Severus sprung to his feet, dusting off his robes.

“I may be new here, but even I know magic is not allowed in the hallways,” Professor Keenan said, surveying the three of them carefully. “You should all be on your way to your common rooms.”

“I was, sir,” Snape said. “I was just walking when Sirius Black attacked me.” Severus pointed dramatically at his attacker.

“Is that so, Mr. Black?” Professor Keenan asked sternly.

Sirius didn’t refute the claim.

“And what were you doing here, Miss . . .?”

“Leila Yaxley,” she said quickly. “I was meeting Mr. Black.”

The Professor raised his eyebrows. “Ah . . .”

“It isn’t against the rules, sir. We’re all in fifth year, and our curfew isn’t until a few hours from now,” she replied.

“This is a rather suspicious area to meet “ quiet, dark, hallway with lots of empty classrooms.”

Leila’s face turned a light shade of pink, and she wouldn’t look directly at the teacher. It took more than that light insinuation to embarrass Sirius, who still had a defiant look about him.

“I’ll pretend your intentions were innocent and leave it at that,” Keenan stated. “What House are you in, Mr. Black?”

Sirius did not reply.

“You are already in trouble young man. It will only be advantageous for you to cooperate.”

“Gryffindor.”

“Miss Yaxley?”

“Slytherin.”

“And I haven’t gotten your name yet . . . .” Keenan’s statement was directed at Severus.

“Severus Snape. Slytherin as well.”

“I’ll be seeing you all bright and early tomorrow.”

“What?” Sirius blurted out.

“I’m teaching fifth-year Gryffindors and Slytherins first period,” Keenan explained. “And you, Mr. Black, will see me after class, when we will discuss a suitable punishment.”

“Only me?” Sirius retorted angrily.

“You’re the only one who broke a rule. Now you will all return to your common rooms. You first, Mr. Black.”

Sirius viciously pocketed his wand and strode off in a huff.

“May I say something, sir?” Snape asked once Black’s figure was no longer visible.

Professor Keenan nodded.

“Detention isn’t a suitable punishment for Black. He receives them all the time; it’s nothing to him.” The words came out of his mouth quickly “ he didn’t want to be interrupted.

“Another student’s punishment is none of your concern, Mr. Snape.” The professor’s tone had a distinct coldness to it. “Go on now you two.”

“Good night, sir,” Leila said. Severus was surprised by the speed of her walk; he had to jog to keep up with her. Leila’s social status may have been a few pegs higher on the totem pole than Snape’s, but he was not going to let that deter him from discussing a few things with her.

She suddenly stopped and turned to him sharply, “What were you doing in that corridor Snape?”

“Did I ruin your plans to snog Black? What will your parents think? Not very lady-like behaviour.”

“You’re in no position to laugh at me. You’re the one going after Mudbloods.”

There it was again: the mention of Lily’s blood status. It had never crossed Severus’s mind that so many students would even be aware that there was anything “ even just friendship “ between Lily and him. The Slytherin girls were generally blind to his existence, but apparently he wasn’t as invisible as he’d always thought. Of course, the teasing from his roommates on the train before wouldn’t have bothered him so much if there wasn’t that dangerous undertone about blood purity.

“Is Black any better? Don’t forget he’s a blood traitor. He admitted it himself. And Black hates anything to do with Slytherin; he’ll never date you in public.”

“Black can grow out of it, but a Mudblood will always be a Mudblood. I think Black is interested, or he wouldn’t have agreed to meet me. Plus, I know how to be persuasive if needed.” Leila flipped her hair at him condescendingly. “On the other hand, you’d need all the love potions and enchantments known to wizard-kind to get any female interested in you.”

Snape curled his fists. He’d been mistaken. He’d begun the conversation thinking Leila was embarrassed to be found alone with Black. He’d even hoped that she would be willing to trade him something for his silence.

Now he was the one who needed her silence about Lily. The less people spoke about them the better. Leila was popular enough, especially in Slytherin, that she could make his life very difficult. Perhaps there was still a way to win her over, after all most people responded to flattery.

“You needn’t worry about Black’s interest. Since nothing happened between you two this evening, he’ll be thinking about you all night.”

“Very good, Snape. Very insightful,” Leila said smirking.

“If Black does prove to be resistant - I can be of service of you.”

“How?” Despite herself, she sounded interested.

“Potion brewing.” He didn’t elaborate further. She’d know what type of potions he was referring to.

“In return?”

“Protection.”

Though Snape still enjoyed some privileges from being Lucius Malfoy’s “ who had graduated three years ago “ protégé, he no longer had the same protection as he’d had those first few years. Back in first, second, and third year, he’d usually come off better on any run-ins with Black and Potter because he had a slew of older Slytherin students willing to join in at a moment’s notice. The help had been greatly decreased last year, and only Rabastan Lestrange was left among the Slytherin gang that had taken him in his first year.

The older Slytherins had always appreciated Snape’s talents more than his peers had. Now the Slytherins only had his back if it was near a Quidditch game or if the Gryffindors had done something to incur the wrath of more than just Snape.

“Is this about the silly feud between you, Potter, and Black?”

“All I want is back-up. Do you think it’s fair that Potter and Black attack me two on one?”

Leila cocked her head to the side. “I’ll think about it.”


End Notes:
Again in this chapter there were multiple characters points of view. After this chapter, there will be more of a focus on Sirius and James. I will still change points of view when necessary, just not as often.
Liked the chapter? Found a line funny? Disliked a character? Tell me all in a review!
First Day Woes by Lioness06
Author's Notes:
I’d like to thank my beta, without her this chapter wouldn’t be nearly as polished.
Chapter Five: First Day Woes


Sirius opened his eyes; it didn’t take long for them adjust because, with his bed curtains drawn, it was still dark. He stretched lazily and turned his side. There was a loud commotion around him “ all his roommates were already awake. Sirius didn’t mind in the least. This was more preferable than being awoken at Grimmauld Place by Regulus, Kreacher, or his mother.

“You’ve used up all the hot water again,” Terry Keeler complained.

“Use a bloody Warming Charm,” Derek Newbell called back to his best friend. “And hurry up, Jamie’s waiting to go to breakfast.”

Terry mumbled something inaudible back, but though the words were not discernable, the meaning was clear. Terry was obviously not fond of his friend’s girlfriend Jamie Gordan.

Five minutes later, Sirius wrenched open his curtains. Remus, seeing movement behind Sirius’s bed hangings, threw two red pillows, one after another, towards Sirius. The first pillow barely brushed him, but the second pillow hit him directly in the face. Lupin’s aim was always better than Sirius expected.

“What was that for?” Sirius asked.

Remus shrugged. “Oh, I’m sure you’ll do or say something to deserve that later today.”

“That’s no way for a prefect to act.”

“What would you know about that?” Remus asked, amused.

“You may have a point . . . .” Sirius agreed, standing up and searching for a towel in his trunk.

“Anyway, I’m the one who stopped James from dumping a bucket of water over your head to wake you.” James emerged from the bathroom in time to hear the last of Remus’s words.

“Is that true James?” Sirius asked with mock indignation.

“I figured I could save you time “ you wouldn’t have to bother showering,” James explained with a grin.

“Such caring, wonderful mates I have,” Sirius replied.

He trod over to the bathroom. “Morning Keeler, Newbell,” he said with a yawn. They were already in their school robes and brushing their teeth.

Sirius stepped into the narrow shower stall. Evidently, enlarging the showers stalls to a more comfortable width was too big a task for a magical school. He kept the shower short, knowing if wanted to feed his growling stomach, he’d have to make it to the Great Hall soon.

Sirius towelled and dressed, looking at himself in the mirror: damp, black hair, grey eyes sharp; aristocratic looks “ from the noble lineage of the Blacks. He’d seen pictures of his dead relatives, and his resemblance to them was irrefutable. Sirius’s alluring smile could charm most witches, and when this was combined with the intensity of his dark eyes, he had he power to disarm most females. This did not mean he was proud of the genes that had brought misery to generations of unfortunate victims. His family’s past was blackened by dirty deeds, and here stood their heir “ a Gryffindor “ a heir who cared nothing for wealth, nobility, status, or blood.

“How long are you going to stare at yourself, mate?” James, standing behind him, was reflected in the mirror.

“Just because your hair is an unruly mess doesn’t mean the rest of us have to go around looking like we just stepped off a broom,” Sirius said, running a comb one last time through his locks.

“I’ll have you know girls love my wind-swept look,” James replied, looking miffed as he too stepped out of the bathroom.

“Let’s go already,” Peter whined. He had one foot practically out the door. Terry and Derek had already vacated the room. Sirius slipped on his black school robes over his white collared shirt and trousers. Wearing pants under your robes was quickly becoming a popular trend among young wizards “ something the conservative elder crowd was strongly advocating against.

“Don’t forget your bag and books,” Remus warned. “We don’t want to have to come back here before our first class.”

A grin unconsciously formed on Sirius’s lips; James teasing him about taking so long to get ready, Peter whining about missing breakfast, and Remus reminding them to bring their school things “ some things never changed.

“What are you smiling about?” James wondered aloud.

“Just glad to be back at Hogwarts,” Sirius said, clapping his friend on the back. And he was. The joy he felt was impossible to describe in words. He was far, far away from the oppressive atmosphere of his house. As the four strolled the halls, Sirius couldn’t help noticing how the castle air felt lighter, warmth was emanating from everything, and absent was that coldness he always felt in Grimmauld Place.

Students laughed and chattered, catching up on the gossip they hadn’t gotten last night. The Great Hall was alive and cheerful because as school hadn’t officially started yet, there was no concern about homework, essays, or tests. Even the Daily Prophet (James’s parents had ordered him a subscription, so James would be well-informed on Wizarding events) was devoid of the news of disappearances and murders that had been so common all summer. Professor McGonagall was just passing out the schedules as the boys seated themselves.

“Defence Against the Dark Arts first,” Remus remarked.

“With Slytherin,” groaned Peter.

“Better than last year when we had History of Magic,” James said. History of Magic was a painfully boring class to begin with, and last year it had been unbearable having it first each week. Even the Ravenclaws, who were studious by nature and took class more seriously than Sirius thought anyone should, had difficulty keeping awake.

At the mention of the Defence Against the Dark Arts, Sirius found himself staring up toward the staff table, and he was annoyingly reminded of his impending punishment with the new teacher. Professor Keenan looked rested and was cheerfully speaking with his colleagues. Sirius had always been distrustful of authority figures “ teachers included “ and his run-in with the new Professor had done nothing to allay any preconceived notions.

Sirius also spared a glance for the Slytherin table to check on his brother. His feelings toward Regulus were mixed. He felt oddly protective of Regulus from a distance, yet the moment they were in each others’ presence, he had difficulty uttering a single polite syllable. At least Regulus was surrounded by other third years this morning; not the most desirable company, but loads better than Snivellus.

Conversation flowed and ebbed, and the Great Hall began emptying. The four boys stood up and followed the Gryffindor girls from their year, staying a few feet behind. The girls threw them glances full of longing, but they stayed huddled in a mass. Sirius was easily annoyed by the girls who spent their time giggling in large groups, preferring the type who’d venture away from the safety of her friends to speak to him. Unfortunately, that type of confidence too often, in his experience, came with arrogance “ and that presented problems as well. Girls were bloody complicated.

The boys entered the room, and unconsciously, Sirius’s feet carried him to the back of the classroom.

“Mr. Black, please take a seat in the front row.”

Sirius froze; he’d been unaware that Professor Keenan was even in the room. The professor was walking down the staircase from his office. The students in the room quieted and heads turned, darting between the two of them; some looked eager, hoping for a ‘scene’ to start off the year. Sirius almost disobeyed “ not because the teacher was unfairly picking him out, but just to see how far he could push the professor, just to see what Keenan would do. Sirius had always flirted dangerously with the rules; his peers expected it. Sirius fastened his eyes on the teacher, and started to trace his path back towards the front.

Had it been in any other class with any other teacher, Sirius wouldn’t have given the request a second thought. James and he had been scolded for causing disturbances every year in every class.

“At that middle desk, Mr. Black.” Keenan’s voice was oddly shaky, and he looked relieved as Sirius plopped down in the seat, letting his bag crash onto the wooden floor. Keenan took refuge behind his teacher’s desk. James didn’t hide his puzzlement or annoyance as he sat down beside Sirius letting his own school bag down considerably more gently. Remus and Peter slipped into the two seats behind them.

The bell for class hadn’t rung yet, so James whispered, “How does the teacher already know your name?”

“Well, you know how I went to meet Leila Yaxley?”

“Yes “ wait did he catch you in the broom closet together?”

“No “ not that. He caught me hexing Snape.”

“What was that slimy git doing there?”

Snape had always been a bit too interested in their group’s private plans, sneaking around after them and looking for ways to get them in trouble, even expelled.

“Don’t know. And now I’ve got detention.”

“Professor Keenan gave you detention?”

“I assume so. I have to see him after class.”

“I suppose he’ll be strict then? Not a pushover like Professor Neaton?”

Professor Neaton had been too ‘nice’ to be a teacher, especially with a subject like Defence Against the Dark Arts, which required cleverness and quick-thinking. Neaton had been gullible and slow, and the class had taken full advantage of it.

James continued, “Let’s hope he’s better than Adair,”

Sirius grimaced in remembrance. Professor Adair had taught them in second year. She was a vile woman who’d embraced corporal punishment in her class. Out of their group, only Peter hadn’t been struck by her rod. Her career had quickly ceased when it was discovered she’d been testing products, such as potions and lotions from her father’s shop, on students.

“Settle down class. Settle down,” Professor Keenan said, straightening up, perhaps to make himself look more imposing.

James regarded the new teacher coolly on behalf of his best mate. The class did quiet down, as they were still unsure of Keenan and of what he would allow in his class. Only time would determine his level of control over them.

“My name is Professor Keenan.” He waved his wand at the blackboard and his name was scrawled out in large script. “You may address me as ‘Professor’ or ‘sir’. The rules in this class are simple and you will adhere to them. You will raise your hand when you wish to speak. You will not speak until I call on you. Dialogue in this classroom will be open between us, and you will treat each other with respect.”

Professor Keenan paused to survey the effect his speech had on his students. Not one of the boys in the class was smiling and a few were even frowning slightly. The girls entranced by the young teacher’s good looks were the only ones who regarded his words with any acceptance.

“All homework will be handed in on time, and will be placed on my desk in a neat pile before the bell rings. At the first offence, your Head of House will be notified, and with each following offence, a letter will be sent to your parent or guardian. You will also serve detention that same day where you will complete the assignment you failed to do. Next class, a complete list of rules and resulting infractions will be available. I understand all these rules may seem . . . overwhelming.” Again he stopped, smiling at the class, hoping to sway them on his side by being cheerful.

“As a ‘new teacher’ “ since I was a student once myself “ I know some of you may wish to test me. Let me warn you that it will be not only a waste of your time, but you will only be making life very difficult for yourself. Follow my rules and class will be an enjoyable learning experience; don’t, and I’ll be seeing you in detention daily.”

“Oh no, detention,” James muttered under his breath sarcastically. Sirius suppressed a laugh. In a flash, with the agility and grace of an athlete, Keenan struck his wand on James’s desk.

“Your name?”

“James Potter.” James’s voice was neutral “ not exactly polite and not exactly arrogant. Sirius could feel Peter squirming in the seat behind him, and he knew Remus was probably praying silently that James wouldn’t say anything to make the situation worse.

“Sir.”

“James Potter, sir.” Now there was a definite hint of sarcasm to James’s voice.

“Mr. Potter, I do not like having to explain things twice. Were you not listening moments ago when I told you of my lack of tolerance for those who speak out of turn and those who test me?”

“Sir, I was listening. However, I don’t agree.”

There was a collective intake of breath. Several of the girls who’d been hanging on Keenan’s words snapped out of their love-struck hazes.

“What is it you don’t agree with?” Keenan sounded agitated

“I’d like to point out, sir, that there may be instances when speaking without permission is necessary.”

“Are there? Please elaborate.”

“For example, the schoolbag of the person sitting next to you is on fire.”

James pointed his thumb lazily at Sirius. Sirius’s confusion quickly turned to shock as his eyes took in his bag being engulfed in bright, hot flames. His pushed his chair back in alarm. Several students nearby gasped, the ones in the back craned their necks.

Finite Incantatum!” James brandished his wand, which he’d already had out, and the flames vanished. A tense silence followed. The Quaffle was in Keenan’s pitch. The teacher’s reputation could be very well decided at this very moment. Unluckily for the Professor, he had no idea of James’s popularity among the students.

“Five points from Gryffindor, Mr. Potter.”

Even Sirius felt disappointed, cheated by this response. Just points off? No lecture? No throwing James out of the classroom for impudence?

However Keenan spoke on, “I would have taken ten off if it hadn’t been for that impressive non-verbal charm. Very subtle, I almost didn’t catch it, Mr. Potter. Very advanced magic for a fifth year.”

James who usually took praise very well, looked wrong-footed by the compliment on his magical skills.

Sirius gingerly picked up his bag to inspect it. It was new and expensive “ if his parents were to find out it had already been damaged, it would be just another thing for them to yell at him about. There was not a mark on it “ the spell must have been an illusion; his bag had never really been on fire.

Keenan spent the next five minutes giving the required importance-of-O.W.L.-year lecture. The teacher told them they would cover and review everything they needed to receive an O.W.L. in the subject. Then he set them to task writing down their strengths and weakness in the subject; areas they felt they needed to review; and any subject they wanted to learn more about.

“Also I’d like each of you to write a few sentences about yourself, so I can learn about each of you. Wands away, quills out, and no talking. Please take this assignment seriously.”

There was sighing and groaning as the students bustled about, but soon all Sirius heard was the scratching of quills. Sirius stared at his blank parchment. He couldn’t understand how he was already bored, but he was. He chanced a glance behind him at Remus. He looked up at Sirius and mouthed, “What?”

“Mr. Black, face forward.”

Sirius sighed before complying with the request. It wasn’t as if Remus could have helped.
He shared a quick look with James, but with Keenan watching him sternly from his perch in the front of the room, there wasn’t much James could to help alleviate his boredom either.

The minutes ticked by slowly, agonizingly slowly. He felt as if he were back in those summer lessons at home, locked in until he completed the required work. Was he the only one finding the assignment pointless? Next to him, James had placed his quill down; he’d only written three or four lines.

“Please finish up in the next five minutes.”

Sirius felt a moment of panic. Only his name on the top had tarnished the emptiness of his parchment, and he knew it wasn’t worth the trouble he’d been in if he handed it in blank.

More hexes
Shields/Protection

Personal information: Black heir


The papers were collected, as Sirius had been forced to sit in the front, he had a good look at the assignments of everyone who was seated behind him. His attempt at the assignment was certainly meagre and would definitely stand out. Then they were assigned to read and outline the first chapter of How to Defend Yourself: A Guide for Every Witch and Wizard by Ellie Patton. And just like that, Keenan let them out ten minutes before the bell. Remus, Peter, and James stood up all around Sirius “ their classmates were chattering excitedly about the rare treat.

“I’ve got to stay behind,” he reminded his friends sullenly.

“We’ll wait,” James responded.

“Bye, Professor Keenan,” Mary McDonald and Natalie Warren chorused dreamily as they walked by his desk, predictably giggling.

“In trouble already? Tsk, tsk, Black,” Snape said as he walked by alone. The other Slytherins Snape generally associated with were a few paces ahead. Sirius clenched his fists; Snape knew very well what had happened. If Keenan heard Snivellus’s comment (and he must have, if he had heard James’s earlier comment) he didn’t make it known. Leila Yaxley was the last person out the door, and her pretty eyes lingered on Sirius for a second or two.

“Now about your punishment . . . .”





The fifth-year Gryffindors and Slytherins were buzzing in the hallway outside the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, and the new teacher was on all their minds. Not one of them could recall ever in their Hogwarts career receiving the unusual treat of any early class dismissal.

James hadn’t been able to get a strong handle on Professor Keenan. It was obvious the man wasn’t going to allow any nonsense in his classroom. This fact, though, did not fit with his reaction to James’s (admittedly) cheeky rebuttal about speaking without permission. James was, in a way, thankful to have a sharp and competent teacher this year, but Keenan’s treatment of Sirius nagged on his mind. He guessed that the teacher simply had labelled his friend a troublemaker after the incident last night, so he was doing everything in his power to curb any trouble Sirius might make for him in class.

Keenan wasn’t exactly wrong; ask any teacher at Hogwarts, and both James and Sirius would be on the top of their list of biggest troublemakers in school. But that didn’t make Keenan’s treatment right. Unfortunately, knowing Sirius, if he suspected Keenan already disliked him, Sirius would only strive to fulfil the role.

“I didn’t know what to write,” Peter said as he leaned against the wall. “Especially about myself “ what did you write James?”

“Something about Quidditch,” James answered offhandedly, then smirked at Remus. “Happen to mention your furry little problem?”

“I didn’t have to; the teachers already “” Remus didn’t finish as Mary McDonald rather rudely butted into their conversation.

“Still having trouble with your rabbit?”

Mary was of average height, plump, and had dirty-blonde hair that had lightened considerably over the summer. She could also be very noisy and pushy.

“Er . . .” Remus looked helplessly at James and Peter, who were both unsuccessfully trying to keep from laughing.

‘Furry little problem’ had become the codeword for Remus’s lycanthropy, and they’d used it without care in public. But with their popularity it was a given that there were people listening to them, so students overhearing them assumed their references were toward a badly behaved pet, which had progressed to a misbehaved rabbit of all animals. None of them could understand it, but they let the rumour stand.

Remus’s face was quite red as he babbled, “Well she’s getting older, so she is not as lively as she was before . . . .”

“Oh, right.” Mary nodded as if that explanation made actual sense.

“How destructive can a rabbit be anyway?” Natalie Warren, Mary’s best friend, asked. She was a plain-looking girl with pin-straight black hair.

“You’d be surprised.”

James noted that Lily Evans, Anita Knight, and Catherine Pierce were all half-listening. Terry Keeler stood a bit apart from the girls, hands in his pockets, looking forlorn. It appeared Derek Newbell had disappeared with his girlfriend Jamie Gordan. The Slytherins had all dispersed awhile ago.

“Remus has a magical rabbit,” James explained, feeling compelled to back up his friend, who was looking more and more uncomfortable. “Acts more like a dog than a rabbit.”

“I’ve never heard of a magical rabbit,” Lily Evans interrupted, hand on her hip.

James’s stomach did a flip-flop as Lily met his eyes in a challenging manner. Of course she hadn’t; after all, he’d made that up. James, though, wasn’t so much concerned with being caught in a lie as with why Evans had such a physical effect on him lately.

Evan’s hair was back in braids. James had definitely liked her hair how it was on the train: down and flowing. He curbed his desire to undo the braids and run his hands through her hair. It would feel like silk; he was sure of it.

“They are very rare and very expensive,” James clarified.

“So why don’t you sell her? Make lots of money and be rid of the furry problem at the same time?” Mary asked, and Lily nodded in agreement.

“Well “ because it was a gift, wasn’t it, Remus? From your great-aunt “”

“Right, my great-aunt Rebecca.”

“On her death bed when you inherited that rabbit.”

“Yes, yes she was,” Remus agreed a bit too eagerly.

Lily regarded their words coolly; apparently she saw right through their lies. The other girls were all satisfied; none of them were as naturally suspicious of the boys as Lily Evans was.

The door to the classroom burst open and Sirius emerged. Anita, Mary, and Catherine, all turned their attention towards Sirius; their movement was so sudden and simultaneous that it was comical. Lily, however, James noted with another jolt, did not. Sirius spared the girls a smile. At times James suspected Sirius was unaware of his effect on females, yet at other times he used his charm in such a cunning way that it couldn’t have been accidental.

“Well?” James pressed.

Sirius shrugged dramatically. “Detention tonight. Seven o’clock.”

“Hello Sirius,” Mary cooed, drawing out his name in a sing-song voice. Mary was not content with just a smile from Sirius Black.

“I can’t believe Keenan put you in detention; that is so unfair!” Catherine said, flipping her wavy blonde hair back and fluttering her light-blue eyes in Sirius’s direction.

“Well I did hex Snivellus,” Sirius admitted.

“You really need to stop hexing Severus,” Lily admonished. She was the only Gryffindor to ever refer to Snape by his first name.

“Thank you, Evans. I’ll remember that great bit of advice next time I run into that slimy git.”

“I’m sure Snape deserved it,” Anita declared.

“That’s right, Knight,” Sirius agreed. Anita Knight’s chocolate brown eyes lit up at the compliment.

Catherine glanced at her gold-plated watch. “Let’s go outside, we have twenty minutes until Transfiguration.” She tugged bravely at Sirius’s sleeve. “And you lads are coming along.”

“We aren’t allowed outside, right Lupin?” Lily said with the authority of a prefect.

“It’s so nice outside Lily! What rule would we be breaking?” Anita exclaimed.

“Well there isn’t any real rule against it . . . but if a teacher were to see us . . .” Remus replied. He looked down guiltily at his shoes when Lily glared at him for not backing her up.

“Simple then: we won’t let a teacher see us,” James piped in.

“Come on, let’s go then,” Sirius said. He didn’t like just standing around.

Terry Keeler, who hadn’t said a word so far, was now looking very uncomfortable, but Lily took pity on him. “Terry, you can come with us,” she said kindly.

James couldn’t help but notice that she called Keeler by his first name.

Outside the weather was the complete opposite of yesterday’s weather. The sun shown brightly, the sky was a brilliant blue, the grass beneath their feet was a vivid green, and the air smelled fresh and clean.

“Tag! Catch me if you can.” Catherine tapped Sirius on the shoulder, running ahead towards the lake. Sirius raced after her. It was no contest; Sirius easily caught her, grabbing her from behind, and they tumbled to the ground laughing.

Mary McDonald scowled. “Could she be any more obvious? Honestly!”

If James thought it would do any good, he might have mentioned to Mary that Sirius would have probably chased any female who had tapped him as Catherine had, and that it didn’t mean that Sirius held any attraction towards her friend.

“So, anyone keep up with Quidditch over the summer?” James asked, hoping to get the conversation flowing, particularly with a certain red-headed girl.

“Not really,” Mary said. “I only watch Quidditch at Hogwarts.”

“I keep up,” Terry murmured.

“I visited the entire Tornado team,” James boasted, running a hand through his hair. He gave Lily a sidelong glance, hoping for some sort of positive reaction. She was gazing ahead; the topic hadn’t caught her interest.

“Wow! Really!” Terry exclaimed.

“Yeah, I got all their autographs and spoke with them all. I’m thinking about a career as a professional Quidditch player.”

Lily was still not following the conversation.

“You’d be excellent,” Anita said admirably. “My brother, don’t tell him I told you this, is so jealous of your flying ability.”

Anita’s brother was a Chaser on the Ravenclaw team, and he was two years older than them. James grinned, for at least he’d impressed someone.

They reached the area where Sirius and Catherine were sprawled on the ground, no longer attached. Catherine had picked a white flower and was placing it in her hair. They all plopped down and fell into casual conversation.




Remus was the last of the group to go through the Transfiguration classroom door as the bell struck. They hadn’t gotten caught: they’d had a relaxing time and even made it to class on time. To Sirius, this proved that worrywarts like Lily Evans were wrong and that that rules should only be followed when the rule maker was around.

“Come in.” McGonagall waved them in. “Be seated quickly.”

The girls settled near Jamie Gordan, and despite the fact she was holding her boyfriend’s hand across the aisle, she looked envious of their pre-arrival activities.

Gryffindors were paired with Ravenclaws for Transfiguration, and as they were the last members of the class to arrive, seating choices were very limited and in close proximity to the teacher. So Sirius sat on one side of James, and Remus on the other, while Peter sat behind them beside Terry Keeler.

McGonagall started class by calling roll, which Sirius found pointless. After four years she should be able to tell just by looking around if one of them were missing. She only stopped once on Evans, Lily to tell James and Sirius that they’d be separated like last year if they couldn’t keep still and quiet.

McGonagall droned on and on about O.W.L. year: the importance of it, how this year would decide their future, and how the world was at their fingertips “ they just needed to reach out and grasp it by studying hard.

Future “ Sirius laughed. As the Black family heir, his future had been planned out since birth. He was expected to get the highest O.W.L.s in every subject, but it didn’t mean anything except something his parents could boast about to other pure-bloods. Regardless of his grades, Sirius’s father would secure him a job in the Ministry, as well as arranging a pure-blood marriage for him; just as it had happened for generations before him.

Yes, Sirius had rebelled against his family so far “ fighting for the slightest freedom “ but how long could this go on? After all, he was still underage, still under their wings. He was convinced his young age was the only reason he had gotten away with this all so far. He wasn’t the first, nor would he be the last pure-blood to temporarily fall off the path set forth before him.

One question lurked in Sirius’s mind: Would he have the courage to continue his rebellion once he turned seventeen? Or would he finally bow to his family’s will? There would be no compromise. He already knew that. He would either fulfil his role, become the model son, or he’d be disowned, his inheritance forfeited to Regulus.

“Bloody hell, is she ever going to shut up?” Sirius muttered to himself. McGonagall was still droning on.

Lectures were awful enough, and add talk of the future, which made him think thoughts he’d rather repress, and they became torturous. He turned to the quill and sheet of parchment that he’d taken out before and began doodling. When McGonagall was glancing the other way, he poked James beside him and passed him the picture. James, distracted by something himself, almost didn’t hide the picture beneath his desk in time as McGonagall turned back to the class. She narrowed her eyes towards them, perhaps sensing something was amiss.

Once McGonagall was back on track with her lecture, James took his wand out and flicked it over the picture before handing the parchment back to Sirius. James had animated the sketch Sirius had drawn of Snape being chased by a bottle of shampoo. Sirius couldn’t hold back his laughter.

“Mr. Black, am I boring you?” McGonagall asked sternly. “Would you like to teach the class about O.W.L.s, as you obviously know so much about them already that you do not feel the need to listen?”

“Sorry, Professor.”

She really ought to be grateful he had let out his tension through laughter and not through more aggressive means.

“You are no longer a first year. Learn to control yourself! The least I can hope for is that you have the courtesy not to distract classmates that actually care about their future. See me after class.”

Sirius slumped in his seat. Perfect, now he would just have to sit through an additional lecture after class.

“What’s got her skirt in a twist?” James said. Perhaps he wanted to be heard, because he hadn’t whispered it.

“Mr. Potter!”

“I’ll be seeing you after class too, Professor?” James asked.

“Right you will. Mr. Potter, switch seats with Perry Sears, and Mr. Black, you will switch with Maya Hill.”

None of them moved.

“Now!”

James and Sirius made a production of switching seats. Sirius noticed Remus frowning at this; Remus had always disapproved of any disrespect towards teachers.

In his new seat, Sirius was next to a window, and beside him sat Bertram Aubrey, a prefect from Ravenclaw.

“Don’t even think of saying a word to me,” Bertram Aubrey stated haughtily.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Sirius muttered. Sirius caught James’s eye across the room, and James threw him a rueful smile. James was a bit luckier with his spot. He was beside a pretty Ravenclaw girl who was already batting her eyelashes at James.

Sirius did feel a bit guilty because out of all Hogwarts teachers, he respected his Head of House the most. She was a very fair teacher, and he knew that regardless of how pointless he felt the lecture was, she did have the best intentions in mind for her students.

So after class James and Sirius endured seven highly unpleasant minutes, in which she reiterated the importance of O.W.L.s and how she’d hate to see two talented individuals ruin their futures. She also brought up their lack of maturity. No points were docked nor a detention assigned. McGonagall must have been feeling exceptionally generous because she said she’d give them one more chance to be allowed to sit next to each other before making the seating change permanent.




The Great Hall was close to empty now. Dessert had been served and most students were ready to turn in after a long first day of classes.

Peter yawned as he picked up his mug of hot chocolate. James had a broomstick catalogue out and was rattling on about the different merits of the newest models. James’s broom was only a year old, and though Mr. and Mrs. Potter indulged most of James’s wishes, they wouldn’t buy him another broom this year; so exactly why his friend still found the catalogue so interesting, Sirius wasn’t sure.

“It’s ten to seven,” Remus said, looking pointedly at Sirius.

“I’ll leave in a moment. Ten minutes is plenty of time . . . .” He didn’t add that it was only enough time to reach Professor Keenan’s office as long as he walked quickly, none of the staircases decided to move on him, and he didn’t run into Peeves.

Sirius counted to thirty in his head and then stood up. “See you later lads.”

Luck was apparently on his side because Sirius arrived ten seconds before the clock struck seven.

He was saved having to walk up the steps to the professor’s office because Keenan was at his desk. He had taken off his robes, revealing Muggle pants and a collared shirt “ the teacher had even loosened his tie considerably, something teenage wizards tried daily to get away with during the school week, only to be reprimanded by one of the Hogwarts staff. Professor Keenan looked remarkably comfortable in the Muggle attire, and Sirius wondered if he was Muggle-born.

“Good evening, Mr. Black,” Professor Keenan greeted him lightly. “Please take a seat.”

The desk he’d been assigned early that day had a pile of blank parchment, a quill, and a bottle of ink set on it. Sirius sat down in that seat. The sooner he could start at the task, the sooner he could return to the dorm.

“In the teachers’ lounge this afternoon I was offered a lot of advice on how to best deal with your detention. I didn’t take it though. Your history with the other teachers is of little concern to me. I do have a question about what you wrote in class today “ Black heir. I had hoped to glean a bit of information about each of my students. Most of your classmates wrote about hobbies and other interests.”

“Have you not heard of my family, sir?”

“I have heard of the Blacks, but I’m sure there is more to you than what you wrote.”

“You wouldn’t think that if you really knew them, sir,” Sirius answered, his tone clipped and unyielding.

“Okay then.” Keenan looked lost by Sirius’s answer. He’d been expecting more, and to cover his discomfort, he ruffled the papers on his desk. “As for your punishment, you will handwrite out the list of class rules that I will distribute to my classes. Perhaps this will help you remember to follow them. You can start with the fifth years “ that will be forty copies “ and we will see what time it is when you are finished with that.”

Professor Keenan rose and handed Sirius the official copy of the rules.

Sirius sighed and began writing.

Hours later, his fingers ink-stained and cramped, eighty copies of the rules were neatly piled on Keenan’s desk, and Sirius was finally dismissed. He wandered the halls back to the Gryffindor dormitory mindlessly. So far in his Hogwarts’ career, the first day of the new school year had never gone smoothly and he was relieved this year’s was behind him.


End Notes:
Thanks for reading. I’m sure you’re tired of reading all those pleas for reviews from authors, but it really does make my day when I receive one.
Becoming Marauders by Lioness06
Chapter Six ~ Becoming Marauders


The pale-green paper folded four times over lay innocently among the school bags and History of Magic notebooks. The note didn’t look threatening nor deserving of the narrowed eyes directed at it by a teenage boy with black hair.

Sirius, first back to the table where his friends sat, snatched it up violently. He ripped it in half twice without opening it. The note was the fourth or fifth “ he wouldn’t deign it enough importance by keeping count “ he’d received over the week from Leila Yaxley. The notes so far had all been alike, with formal requests to meet Leila Yaxley at various places at various times. The librarian, Madam Pince, looked up sharply at the sound of tearing paper; she was as protective of the library material as a mother bear with her cubs. No matter which table you chose, even the ones in the far back as Sirius and his friends had selected, the librarian had purposely arranged it so that she had a perfect view of every student. He hoped, at the least, that Leila or her messenger had witnessed the destruction of the written request because so far he wasn’t doing the greatest job in displaying his disinterest of her.

Sirius swept the pieces of the note into his bag. He’d dispose of it at a later time. If only he could sweep Leila Yaxley out of his life in the same manner. He was convinced his first mistake had been agreeing that first evening to meet her. She had misread his intentions. Sirius wasn’t exactly sure what his own intentions had been, but they certainly hadn’t been to start a relationship with her.

Sirius still remembered that first kiss “ it had been memorable. It took some effort to remind himself that the kiss hadn’t been a sign of affection, but a way to rid himself of her, and of the arranged marriage. At the time, he hadn’t considered the possibility that Leila Yaxley would pursue him. As long as he kept this on the forefront of his mind, Sirius was able to ignore the tug of attraction he still held. After all, he had endured severe punishment from his mother for it. He wasn’t about to undermine what he had accomplished over the summer. If his parents found out he was courting Leila Yaxley or showing an interest in her from Regulus, they would consider it a victory. It was a constant uphill battle rebelling against the will of his parents, which included a proper pure-blood marriage and continuation of the line of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black. Sirius couldn’t afford to give in on any issue. If he succumbed once, what would stop him from yielding again? It would lead to a downhill spiral. So he would continue destroying Leila’s notes and ignoring her existence until she was the one to give up.

James returned next from the maze of magical books, sprawling out in the chair beside Sirius. And bringing Sirius out of his thoughts of marriage and family responsibility to the present; a six foot essay was due in History of Magic in less than twenty-four hours. James yawned loudly.

“How many Galleons do you think I’d have to pay Remus to get him to write my essay?”

“There are not enough Galleons in the world,” Remus spoke from behind James. Precariously balancing a large stack of thickly bound books that would have put Hogwarts: A History to shame, Remus came round the table, setting them down.

“Agree not to cause trouble for a month and we might have a deal.”

“Really?” James looked hopeful.

“No. I’m a prefect, remember?” Remus said.

“Rubbish, you wouldn’t have written it for me last year either when you didn’t have the ‘I’m-a-prefect’ excuse,” James grumbled as he began leafing through All You Ever Wanted to Know About Cauldron-Making.

Sirius was certain there was nothing about cauldron-making he was the least bit interested in. His topic of the essay wasn’t any more interesting. He had to research quills, including the different feathers and inks used. Though not as exciting as learning about wizard inventions such as broomsticks and wands, at least Remus and Peter’s assigned topic, crystal balls, was better than Sirius’s or James’s.

Peter inched toward their table, no book in hand. He was eyeing Remus’s large stack.

“Er “ Remus-” Peter started hesitantly. “I think you took all the books the library has on crystal balls. Why’d you take so many?”

“I like having a variety of sources, and I didn’t take all of them. You can use mine, if you want,” Remus said.

Peter’s face lit up. “Can I? You’re the best!”

“You’ll write it on your own though, and I’m not going to read it over before you hand it in like I usually do,” Remus stated, handing over the top two books, both dusty and ancient looking.

If Peter heard, it didn’t bother him because he grabbed the books as if they were his life source.

The boys worked quietly and intensely for the next ten minutes.

“James, can I see your notes for a moment?” Sirius asked, breaking the unusual silence. “I need to check something.”

“Where are yours?” James questioned as he rummaged through the items on the table to extract his red notebook.

“In the dormitory.”

“We’re in the library researching for History of Magic and you didn’t think you might need your notes?” Remus asked dryly.

Sirius grinned. “Not when I have you lot.”

“That’s a Galleon for every minute you use my notes, mate,” James interrupted in a business-like manner.

“Send the bill to my father and mother.”

Peter let out a loud laugh that he quickly doused when Madam Pince hushed him.

Sirius, a smile still playing on his lips, quickly located what he needed. James didn’t take very detailed notes and Sirius wanted to make sure he covered the exact four points on quills the teacher would be looking for. He was then momentarily distracted by some scribbling in the margins of James’s notebook.

“What’s this?” Sirius questioned.

“If you’re going to complain about my handwriting, you should have brought your own notes,” James mumbled, his eyes still trained on his own book.

“No. What’s this you’ve written in the margins? Marauders?”

“Oh…” James colored slightly. “I was playing around with a name.”

“For what?” Peter piped. Essays and Peter did not mix, so Peter would grab any form of distraction.

“For us…I was thinking some of those pranks we pulled…well we never received proper recognition.”

“Which is a good thing, James, because when we did receive recognition, that only meant we’d been caught and assigned detention,” Remus stated without looking up.

“I know, but it seems a shame our fellow students aren’t even aware the same group pulled them all.”

James was right. If something were to go wrong in class, a potion exploding or inkwell cracking, the teachers would automatically assume James and/or Sirius had a hand in the destruction. The duo was well-known for class distractions and student hexing in the corridor. They were not well-known as the masterminds behind the brilliant pranks that had surfaced over the past four years, unless they’d been caught in the act. Part of it had been intentional, since they’d varied the targets and the difficulty level of the enchantments so there would be no obvious connection.

James continued, “If an anonymous group “ the Marauders “ could take the credit for it, then students could be speaking about us for years, even after we graduate.”

“Marauders?” Sirius tried the word out on his tongue.

“I like it!” Peter stated.

“Of course you do. Anything out of James’s mind or mouth is gospel to you,” Sirius said harshly.

“You don’t like it?” Peter shot back, his round face flushed. Even though it hadn’t been the politest of comments, Sirius had not been exaggerating. Peter did always agree with whatever James did, said, or suggested.

Sirius didn’t answer and James quickly interrupted with, “It was only an idea…we don’t need to use it…I was bored in class.”

“Do we feel a name for ourselves is necessary?” Sirius asked. It wasn’t that he was adverse to the idea of a name, but he felt the need to question it anyway.

“Why not?” Peter said.

“What about you?” Sirius turned to Remus, who had given up reading. “What does the prefect say?”

“I have a name,” Remus retorted. “And it does have a nice ring to it, but-”

“But what?” James asked with a slight grin. Remus would forever be battling his conscience--loyalty to friends versus prefect duties.

“I’m supposed to be upholding the rules, not be part of a group whose purpose is to wreak havoc on Hogwarts,” Remus explained.

“Then nobody will guess your involvement, your identity is the safest of all us,” Sirius said. “Besides, we need you.”

“You need me?” questioned Remus.

“You ground us,” Sirius reasoned.

“I “I “ w-what?” Remus spluttered, his confusion evident on his face.

“You’ve always stopped us from doing something too crazy or too stupid. Our imaginations can get out of hand sometimes, and you ground us.”

“I suppose I do, but “ oh, never mind. I already know I’ll lose this argument.” Remus held up his hands in exasperation, though he didn’t look very upset.

“Hold on there. We should vote, then,” said James. “This way it’ll be official.”

They all nodded in agreement, even Remus. “All in favor?”

“Aye,” Peter whispered eagerly and intently.

“Aye,” Remus said in an ‘I’m-going-to-regret-this’ tone.

“Aye,” Sirius murmured after a moment.

“Any against?”

Silence greeted that question and Peter giggled.

“That settles it.”

“What about you?” Peter voiced.

“I don’t get a vote, obviously, since I came up with it!”

James took his wand and first tapped each of Sirius’s shoulders lightly. “I dub thee”- he moved on to Remus doing the same motions - “and thee” - next on to Peter- “and thee” - and lastly he held the wand up to his face as one would a sword and said -“the Marauders.”

With that complete, Sirius, James, Remus and Peter glanced around at each other, unsure of what to say and feeling slightly silly at their antics. Quietly they resumed their work “ the crinkling of turned pages, scratching of quills, and soft movement of restless boys repositioning themselves on the hard, wooden chairs. Underneath the silence, each one of them was reveling in their new secret and the thrill of the exclusivity of their group. The sound bond they already shared strengthened again that day in the library. They were now ‘the Marauders’ and very soon that name would be recognized by all students, teachers, staff, and Hogwarts ghosts.


When it came to Potions, Sirius didn’t have to dig far to find reasons to dislike the subject. One, it was a double period, two, it was held in the dungeons where the air was old and musty, and three, the Gryffindors had always shared this class with Slytherin…and the fourth reason had just toddled his way into the room: Professor Horace E. F. Slughorn, the Potions Master.

Professor Slughorn was short in stature, his thick straw-colored hair was beginning to thin, while his walrus-like mustache appeared to be growing thicker with each passing year. Slughorn was dressed in emerald-green, the gold buttons on his waistcoat gleaming in the torch-lit room.

Professor Slughorn was known for collecting students like trophies. If your family was well-connected, Slughorn would lavish you with attention hoping to use it for his own gain. Slughorn had not hid from Sirius his severe disappointment at his sorting, believing as everyone else that all Blacks belonged in Slytherin, of which Slughorn was Head of House. If Sirius acted out in class or forgot a step in a potion concoction, it was always the same shake of the head, tsk of the lips, and the moustache molding into the frown, “ A Black should know better…A Black should be better behaved…a Black should have better self-control…”

Sirius fought back with bitingly sarcastic remarks, but they were never as well received as Lily Evans’s cheeky rebuttals when Slughorn commented she was best fit in Slytherin. Slughorn’s belief they were both Slytherins at heart was probably the only thing Sirius had in common with the red-headed witch.

Slughorn was infatuated with the Muggle-born “ she could neither do nor say anything wrong. It sat wrong with Sirius how Lily’s wittiness and cheekiness was almost a form of entertainment for Slughorn. She was a gifted witch, and the way he’d show her off at the ‘Slug Club’ parties (“She’s a Muggle-born, if you can believe it!”), as if she were a commodity.

“Today, my fifth years, we will be brewing The Draught of Peace. Can anyone tell me the effects of the potion?”

Four hands were raised, one from Gryffindor and three from Slytherin.

“Miss Evans?”

“It calms anxiety and soothes agitation.”

“Excellent! Five points to Gryffindor. This is your first O.W.L. standard potion. Does anyone know the two active ingredients? Ah, Mr. Snape.”

Snape spoke in a bored tone. “Powdered moonstone and hellebore syrup. The syrup from hellebore is very poisonous and should be handled with care.”

“Very good. Five points to Slytherin.”

Snape nodded with a satisfied smirk. Sirius caught Lily Evans giving him an encouraging smile to his answer, which caused Snape’s smirk to enlarge.

“You’ll be working in partners, which I will assign,” finished Slughorn.

The students groaned accordingly even though Slughorn had warned them last class. Slughorn went through the list slowly, for he had to pause constantly to make a comment about this person’s grandfather or that person’s aunt.

Sirius was paired with Mary McDonald “ given the choice she obviously wouldn’t be top on his list, but she was better than any Slytherin. Remus was assigned to work with Anita Knight, who had glared most unbecomingly at Mary McDonald, envious that Sirius was Mary’s partner and not hers. Poor Peter was unlucky enough to work with Jean Gable, a Slytherin. Jean Gable was quiet, not among the pure-blood elite, and had always been unfriendly towards the majority of the student population. And James “ Sirius felt an uncomfortable pang “ would be working with Leila Yaxley.

James was as good as a brother to Sirius, but there were things dealing with his family that Sirius kept to himself. It was half because of embarrassment and half to protect himself, and because he didn’t want pity or sympathy. James knew about the marital arrangement with Leila Yaxley and about the first note she’d sent. The other notes from Leila Yaxley he had kept from his friends. Sirius had a premonition, as James joined Leila, that James would know about it all shortly.

“It isn’t fair Professor Slughorn matched Snape and Lily,” Mary McDonald complained as she took the seat that James had occupied moments ago.

“You would rather work with Snape?” Sirius exclaimed.

“Heaven’s no! But they are the best in class.” Mary paused, looking adoringly at him. “Don’t worry, I’m absolutely thrilled to be partnered with you.”

Sirius didn’t return the sentiments. Mary talked too much, in his opinion. She could also be a bit overbearing, and he still remembered that terrible Hogsmeade date they’d gone on in their third year. It had been his first date with a girl; Mary had been the only third year brave enough to ask him, even though other girls had dreamed of it, and Sirius, in the first thrusts of adolescence, had accepted. If he recalled correctly, she had brazenly and sloppily kissed him on the lips at the end of the date.

“I’ll get the ingredients,” he told her shortly.

Returning to his seat, it was glaringly obvious that Leila Yaxley had some sort of plan. She had moved her stool as close as possible to James and had inclined her head towards him, speaking intently--too intimately, in Sirius’s opinion.

“Potter moving in on your girl?” Mary asked sweetly. Sirius was already on guard; Mary was not known for her sweetness.

“What?” Heat was rising in his face.

“By the looks of it, Potter is getting a bit close with her, and with the plethora of rumors about Leila Yaxley and you…and you did look upset when you glanced over at her.”

She was grasping at straws, hoping he’d reveal something that she could use to fuel the rumors.

“James or anyone else is welcome to her.” Despite his intent to hide the stiffness he felt, it was loud and clear. As he fumbled to light the fire underneath the cauldron it only proved to Mary that he was indeed bothered.

“Oh,” Mary replied. She tugged her dirty blonde hair back into a ponytail. “Over her already? Just another girl to add to your cast-aways?”

He turned to her sharply and she blushed at the intensity of his gaze. Mary McDonald had, since that terrible date, continued to flirt with him and most other decent looking blokes. He’d also heard her speaking about how she’d fallen madly in love with Professor Keenan. As far as he could recall, she had never had a boyfriend. She waited for his reply and dozens of them formed in his mind, each one more hurtful than the next…

“Ah, let’s see. Mr. Black, Miss McDonald, perhaps if you were speaking less you’d be further along on the potion.”

“Sorry, Professor,” Mary said, dutifully taking a piece of moonstone Sirius had retrieved and powdering it under Slughorn’s watch. Sirius busied himself by getting out the scales they’d need to measure the powder.

“I’ll check on you two in a bit then…”

Slughorn had moved on to the next pair, and Sirius immediately grabbed Mary’s arm and, leaning in, he whispered intently, “Leave it all alone. If you know what’s good for you, leave it alone.”

Mary did not speak of Leila Yaxley or James or any other piece of gossip through the class period. The pair completed the potion in silence, receiving a satisfactory mark from Slughorn. At the end of class, Leila made a point of walking by his bench, her body brushing the wooden desk.

Mary McDonald took note of it all, her eyes flitting back and forth between Leila and Sirius. The interaction between them hadn’t lasted long, but it was enough to inflame Mary’s imagination.

Sirius was ready to leave and he gathered up his belongings in a rush, but not quickly enough.

“I’m going to be a reporter for the Daily Prophet,” Mary told him waspishly, her hand on his arm, stopping him from leaving. “And a good reporter doesn’t let a story go, threats or not. I’ll get to the bottom of it, Black “ whatever is going on between Leila Yaxley and you “ and that’s a promise.”


After double Potions there was always a morning break for the fifth years.

“Let’s go-” Sirius began.

“Outside,” James finished for him. The four boys laughed. It was a common joke between them on how similar Sirius and James’s thoughts ran.

It was raining again, forcing the boys to remain under the cover of the stone structure that encircled the courtyard. The titter and tatter of the drips landing on the stone statues and cobblestones was relaxing.

James and Remus remained standing, leaning against one of the walls. Sirius and Peter were seated on the wide, carved stone railing. Sirius was sitting on the rail, knees bent, his back against the stone pole. Peter’s legs were dangling, his back facing the courtyard, and his cloak, which he’d taken off because it was warmer than usual, slung over the rail beside him.

“How long do you suppose Sluggy is going to make us stay with our assigned partners?” James asked. “Yaxley bossed me around the entire period. Cut this, powder that; she was commanding me like a servant.”

“She’s been trained since birth to boss people around and to think herself better than anyone else,” Sirius replied. He knew this all too well, having been brought up in a similar manner.

James gave Sirius a funny look and then cleared his throat. “Well that was after I told her to ‘bugger off’.”

“What?” Peter asked, confused.

Ignoring Peter, James kept his gaze on Sirius. “She was full of flattery at first “ I think she hoped I would sing her praises to you.”

“To me?” Peter asked, bewildered.

“No, to Sirius.”

Sirius shifted uncomfortably.

“She wanted to know why Sirius hadn’t been returning her notes or any of her advances. I played along and told her that you didn’t want anything to do with her, and to ‘bugger off’. She didn’t take too kindly to that.”

“Leila’s been sending you notes?” Peter repeated.

“It’s nothing,” Sirius stated shortly.

“Nothing? If it was nothing why’d you keep the notes secret?” James asked.

“I’m allowed to keep things to myself. I don’t have to tell you lot everything.”

“We made a pact,” Remus reminded him.

“When we were twelve!”

“I didn’t know it was so meaningless to you,” Remus responded coldly. Sirius regretted his words immediately.

It hadn’t been meaningless. At the time they’d just discovered Remus was a werewolf, and in order to make Remus feel better and part of the group they’d all promised from that day forth to tell each other everything.

“There’s nothing to tell. I’m not interested in her and she hasn’t taken the hint that I don’t ever want to speak to her,” Sirius explained. “That’s all.”

“Leila Yaxley is the one your parents arranged you to marry?” Remus questioned.

Sirius had never told him this, which meant James had. It was this sort of information he prayed a girl like Mary McDonald would never uncover. The handful of Slytherins that were privy to the information would keep quiet as their parents had commanded, and he wanted it to stay that way.

“Tried to arrange…and if there is anything I can do about it, they won’t succeed.”

“She’s the one you kissed in your Aunt’s garden in front of her father?” Remus added.

“Well…yes…how’d you-”

“James told me,” Remus said.

“And me too,” Peter admitted.

“So she thinks you’re interested even though you aren’t?” Remus repeated. “I can understand why she hasn’t taken your disinterest seriously. After the kiss and the way you were flirting with her when we were getting off the Hogwarts Express. Then you did agree to meet her that one time.”

“I wasn’t flirting! Whose side are you on anyway?” Sirius asked. He had been flirting, but in that careless, light way that he used around lots of girls.

“Her side,” Remus said with a grin.

“Well do you have any advice then?” Sirius asked. “I can see you are dying to give me some.”

“Stop avoiding her and tell it to her face. Explain it to her, instead of ignoring it.”

“It isn’t that simple…it isn’t just a girl going after me, it’s her entire family. The Yaxley’s are hoping “ no praying - on this alliance with the Blacks. They need this alliance to rise anywhere in the world,” he said bitterly. “Then there are my parents who want it as well. It’s my duty and all to have a proper marriage.”

“The Marauders could take care of her,” James said suddenly, a look of mischief glinting in his eyes.

“No “ I’ve got a handle on it,” Sirius said, which was far from the truth. He didn’t want his friends getting involved in this mess with his family. However, he was grateful for the gesture.

“Actually there is someone else that needs to be taken care of.” An idea was already forming in his mind before the sentence was finished.

“Who?” Peter asked eagerly.

“Mary McDonald.”

“I’m not hearing this!” Remus said suddenly, covering his ears to prove his point.

James rolled his eyes. “We’ll just discuss this later when the prefect isn’t around.”

Remus uncovered his ears cautiously. “What’s McDonald done to you?”

“James, Peter, do any of you have the slightest idea of what Remus is talking about?” Sirius asked innocently. “I’m worried about you, mate. Maybe you should get your hearing checked…”

“Oh, never mind,” Remus replied, though he did give each of his friends a very McGonagall-like stare.


The second week of classes was almost at an end. It was the first night since they’d been back that James, Sirius, and Peter found free time to continue ‘Operation Furry Little Problem.’ Remus was at a prefect meeting, and their other two roommates were downstairs engrossed in a game of chess that looked like it could last all night.

The three of them were intensely rummaging through pages of detailed notes stapled haphazardly together, rolls of parchment tied with coarse string, and diagrams of the human body covered in symbols. There were books--some thick, some with crinkly, yellow paper, some with pages that were still glossy--scattered on the floor, all with the covers taken off so the subject could not be easily identified. They were bringing with them only the necessary Animagus material.

“James “ are you in here?” Victoria Dekker, unabashed, entered the fifth-year dormitory.

“Victoria!” James groaned.

“Oh, dressed? I keep hoping I’ll come in here one time and you’ll be in nothing but a towel!” she announced.

“If your mother could only hear you…” James said.

Peter and Sirius all called a greeting to her.

James had resigned to the fact that he would never be free of the pestering of Victoria Dekker. Things had improved; she no longer followed him like a love-sick puppy. Her infatuation lessened, and James found moments when he did enjoy her company. Usually she was just a pest, especially when she came over to his house and his parents or her parents would laugh at his protests to her affections.

James recalled his father one time exclaiming heartedly, “One day, James, when she’s a young woman, you’ll be chasing her.” At eleven years old he had just gagged and made faces. At fourteen Victoria was very pleasing to the eye, but James knew he would never see her as more than a friend. Victoria appeared to accept this, except for occasional lewd comments.

“So what did Mary McDonald do to incur your revengeful wrath?” she asked conversationally.

If she noticed all the books and notes lying around or Sirius buttoning his warm over-cloak, Victoria did not say.

“Who says we did anything to her?” Sirius asked with an innocent air.

“Oh, please. It has your mark all over it. Who else would charm the poor girl’s nose to grow larger each hour while her ears shrink at the same pace?”

“Do you think anyone else has figured it out?” wondered Peter.

“Peter!” Sirius groaned.

“Sorry! She knew anyway,” Peter protested.

“No one else knows as far as I can tell “ it was rather hilarious to watch her walking down the hallway trying to cover both her nose and ears. So I ask again, what did she do?”

“Sticking her nose into things best left alone,” Sirius explained.

“Right. Hey, what’s going on and where are you going?”

James groaned inwardly. He’d been so hopeful that with her curiosity about Mary satiated, she’d leave before asking this.

“Library, Victoria.” He kept his voice stern, though careful not to be rude. She was the daughter of a family friend after all.

“You have enough books between the three of you to start your own library. You’re up to something,” she accused, gesturing towards the objects covering the floor.

“You caught us,” Sirius said. “Look, this is a boys-only sort of thing. If you let us go peacefully, James will sit with you for breakfast and dinner tomorrow.”

“What?” James protested, sending a glare at his friend.

“Tomorrow and the next day, and I’ll even cover for you if any prefects start asking questions about your whereabouts.”

“Deal!” Sirius stood up, formally shaking Victoria’s hand.

“Oi! Don’t I get a say in this?” James complained, his anger only half-hearted.

“Nope,” Sirius said.

“Aren’t you dating Thomas Bauer?” Peter asked out of nowhere. Three sets of eyes turned on him suddenly and he turned pink instantly.

“You are?” James looked shocked. “You’re dating a Hufflepuff?”

“So what if I am?” Victoria huffed.

“Hufflepuff Quidditch Captain?” Sirius questioned.

“When did this happen?” James added the question quickly, before Victoria had even been able to answer Sirius’s question.

“Yes, Sirius,” Victoria answered, ignoring James’s question. She began walking out the door, but James jumped in front of her.

“When did this happen?” James pestered her.

“Are you jealous?” she asked coyly.

“No,” James said quickly. He was actually elated. Victoria could now spend all her time bothering this Hufflepuff, but despite not thinking of her romantically, he’d known Victoria forever and his protective instinct was on alert. “Won’t your boyfriend be jealous if I sit with you?”

Victoria grinned. “You aren’t getting out of it that easily. And you aren’t just sitting with me, but with my friends. Besides, Amy Andrews has a crush on you.”

“I still don’t see why you want me to sit with you…” James mumbled.

“Because I can. See you at breakfast.” Victoria smiled brightly and skipped off out of the dorm room.

At the shooting glares James was wordlessly sending him, Sirius held his hands up. “That was the only way to rid of her and you know it.”

“Right, which of her friends is Amy?” James asked.

“The tall one with braces,” Peter supplied.

James knew immediately who Peter was referring to. James rolled his eyes. Amy Andrews was mousy, plain and gangly. Instead of coming back to school curvier like so many other girls, Amy now sported braces. It was too much to hope that of all of Victoria’s friends it would be the really good-looking one that fancied him.

“Right, so once we get out of the Tower like we planned, Sirius will be under the cloak.” James handed him the silvery material bundle to store in a pocket under his robe. The three of them could no longer fit under the cloak together. “I’ll be pretending to escorting Peter to the Hospital Wing, in case we run into a teacher, since it’ll be approaching curfew. I found the perfect hex; it looks sinister, but the blue boils are one hundred percent painless.”

Peter paled at this new bit of information. “Why do I have to be the one hexed?” Peter asked.

“Because it’s the most believable. How many times must we go over that?” Sirius pondered with frustration.

Peter stayed silent, though he was still perturbed by the idea.

“Once we get to the fourth floor and through the mirror, we’ll be in the clear. I can undo the hex then,” James relayed.

As far as the boys knew, the passage behind the mirror on the fourth floor was the only way out to the Hogwarts grounds without using a main door that would be watched by patrolling teachers and prefects.

After gathering the material they felt was essential, the boys bounded down the steps into the common room. Numerous students waved at them, but as they exited James sighed a breath of relief that no one had tried to converse with them. The boys reached the fourth floor without a hitch; James had applied the hex on Peter when they were outside of the Tower, away from the watchful eyes of their admirers.

Almost at their destination, James now walked with a bit of a bounce to his step. There was a reason to be excited--tonight could be it. Tonight could be the final step of the Animagus transformations which they’d been working on for years.

The mirror was toward the end of the fourth floor corridor and their footsteps echoed eerily in the hallway. The torches in the hallway were spread out further apart than anywhere else in the castle, giving the area a haunted feeling, with long shadows cast about.

James suddenly turned to look behind him, anxious because it sounded like a fourth set of footsteps had joined them. No one was there. As he turned back ahead, the last person he wanted to run into was approaching them: Severus Snape. Snape had paused right in front of the mirror, right where they needed to go. Does he know it’s a passage? James doubted it, but the possibility was aggravatingly there.

“Well, well, well,” Snape sneered, surveying the two of them. James wondered where Sirius was standing, and he wanted Peter to stop darting his eyes from the mirror to Snape and back to the mirror then to Snape. The last thing they needed was Snape to think the mirror held any interest to them.

“You look more hideous than usual Pettigrew. Did a spell backfire on you?”

“No, one of your lot did this,” James lied. “And we’ll be reporting it.”

“Good thing you’re with him, Potter. The fat lump would get lost without you. Now the million galleon question, where is Black?”

“Mind your own business, Snivellus. Get out of here before I hex you.”

“By all means, you’re welcome to pass by to the Hospital Wing, did you say? I have every right to be here and I don’t feel like moving.”

Stupefy!

Snape crumbled to the ground. Sirius emerged from underneath the cloak and kicked the form of Snape lightly to verify he indeed was unconscious.

“Why’d you do that?” James asked.

“Did he look like he was about to leave anytime soon? It’s like he can sense we’re up to something, the bloody idiot.”

“But once he wakes, I’ll be the one he reports on. I can’t get detention tomorrow, I have to be at Quidditch tryouts or Aidan will kill me.”

Threat of missing Quidditch was probably the only thing that could make James regret receiving a detention.
Sirius slid the mirror open. “If he does snitch on you, I’ll take the blame. I snuck up behind him or something. Now let’s go before Snivellus comes around.”

They lit their wands as they stepped into the narrow, but tall, passage. James murmured the counter-curse and the boils on Peter’s face disappeared. The passage was winding and steepened at parts; after all, it needed to bring them from the fourth floor to the ground floor. At the end, there was a small square door which unlocked after three wand taps. The door was large enough for an adult to crawl through on their knees. Outside they doused their wands and donned their hoods, the dark sky giving them plenty of cover from anyone looking outside a castle window.

The adventure was not yet complete, and James quickly froze the Whomping Willow with a long stick. The next passage, which was under the tree, would take them directly to the Shrieking Shack. The Shrieking Shack safely held Remus each full moon night, locking the werewolf in with wards and charms. To an outsider it might have seemed an unnecessarily long trip when Hogwarts was filled with empty rooms “ but only the Shrieking Shack could provide them with absolute privacy, and as their activity was illegal to the level of incarceration in Azkaban, even risk-takers such as the Marauders would not chance it.

The long walk gave James plenty of time to think. And there were lots of things to ponder. They were about to embark on the most dangerous part of the Animagus process. All the other steps had dangers, but any problems could be easily reversible.

Inside the bag slung over his shoulder were three tiny vials, each containing four drops of a magenta potion. The liquid would induce a trance-like state which would allow a person’s animal form to immerge from his unconscious mind. Before completing the wandless transformation, it was important to clear your mind and not have any preconceived notions about the animal you would become. You had to come to the realization that you have no choice in your animal form, and that it was possible you could turn into a slug, cockroach or other less pleasing animals. It was of the utmost importance not to panic or be disappointed; either of these two emotions, or both, could have dire consequences. If you panicked it was possible to be stuck permanently in the trance-like state, or if panic occurred later, during the transformation, it could cause you to be trapped in half-transformation state. If you had severe disappointment, especially if your mind was already set on a specific animal form, your mind could will your body to turn into an animal you were not destined to form. The human mind could be dangerously powerful, and if you did transform into the wrong animal, the animal’s instincts would overcome your human mind, and there had been cases of wizards and witches who never regained their human mind.

“Are we there yet?” Peter asked for the fourth time.

James was about to tell Peter to shut up when at the end of the tunnel he spotted the trapdoor that would allow them entrance into the Shrieking Shack.

“Yes,” James answered with a laugh. He was tired from the walk himself, and he wanted to get to it already.

The three of them entered the Shrieking Shack, and Sirius locked the trapdoor tightly behind them. As the boys walked through, each room looked to be in worse shape than the previous. There were claw and bite marks on almost every surface. They managed to scrounge three large pillows to sit on in the upper area. Now that they were here, the tension and nervous energy inside of each of them began to build even more.

James began emptying his bag, taking out the notes and books they had decided to take with them. He carefully placed the three magenta, potion-filled vials with one dropper in front of him. Their notes for Animagus-training were nothing like their school notes. These had been written meticulously, immensely detailed and clear. A mistake in even the smallest detail could mean death, so the boys had been obsessively careful.

Almost three years had passed since the idea to become Animagi had first come to Sirius, James, and Peter. It was the most complicated Transfiguration, and according to the books, no underage wizard would have the magical knowledge or capability to do this successfully. Yet here they were. Not that it had been easy. James could write a novel about all the setbacks that had occurred. He reminisced about the inventive schemes they’d used to purchase the proper books and odd ingredients from shady venues. There had also been moments when they’d wanted to give up, frustrated, feeling they were attempting the impossible. Yet every month, as they helplessly watched the full moon’s pull wreck havoc on Remus, their resolve was renewed. With his nausea to lethargy to self-induced gashes and bites, failure was not an option.

Though James didn’t like to think about this, none of them were one hundred percent sure humans in animal form could harmlessly hang with a werewolf; no one had ever tested it before. They’d kept this from Remus, who would only worry unnecessarily. The fact that werewolves were not dangerous to animals was well-documented, but what of humans who’d merely transformed themselves into one? Would the werewolf still regard the animal as human? Would they still smell like humans? Would that be enough to excite the wolf?

“So this is it,” James began. His voice was an octave too high. Peter looked queasy and Sirius’s face was unnaturally tense. “We’ve all read the instructions? We all have them memorized?”

Sirius and Peter nodded, heads bobbing more quickly than natural from the nerves.

“Anyone have any questions?”

“It’s a little late for that, isn’t it?” Sirius let out a dry laugh.

“If any of us doesn’t feel prepared, we’ll just have to postpone it,” James insisted. He knew Sirius was just trying to let go of some of the tension in the room, but James wanted to make sure that Peter didn’t feel pressured to take this last step before he felt fully prepared. So James forced both of them to recite the instructions aloud one more time. After he also stated it one more time, there was suddenly, as if time had sped up, nothing else left to do but actually do it.

He turned to them both, his adrenaline rushing. “One of us has to go first.”

Sirius gave him a nod, willing to take the lead, but someone else spoke up first.

“I will.” Peter’s voice was high and loud.

“Peter, I’m not sure you should,” James said skeptically, leaving his reasons unspoken. Peter’s weakest subject was Transfiguration and he’d been the slowest to go through the process up to this point “ it would be foolish to let him sacrifice himself…

“Let me do it, Peter,” Sirius said, giving Peter a chance to rescind and save face.

“No.” The word reverberated around the room. “Sirius, James, I have to go first “ or “ or-I-I’ll never do it.”

Peter was stuttering and shaking, but there was a determined look in his eyes, the look of a Marauder. James and Sirius exchanged worried glances, and Sirius made a half-shrug gesture. James could read in Sirius’s look the same thing he was thinking; Peter had never been first on anything, and maybe it was time that they let him do just that.

“Okay. Only if you’re sure,” James relented.

“I am.”

“Should we go over it one more time?”

“I know it!” Peter replied tersely in a tone he rarely used toward James. “I know what to do. I’m not stupid.”

James silently handed over one of the three small vials of the most expensive potion any of them had handled. James bit back the warning to tell Peter to be extra careful with it. They only had enough for three doses.

“Good luck,” James uttered instead. Peter moved to the center of the room, kneeling, while James and Sirius moved to opposite ends of the room, as close to the walls as possible. They drew their wands out, ready to aide Peter, though it was doubtful if anything did go wrong that either could be of help.

Peter closed his eyes, first step about to commence, sweat forming on his forehead. The first step was to clear your mind, control your breathing and relax your mind. The books had stressed to work on relaxation from the beginning. It had been hardest for Sirius, who was rash, and easiest to conquer for Peter. James watched as Peter visibly relaxed in front of him, the training kicking in. Step two was to place four drops of the magenta liquid on his tongue, which should cause Peter to fall into a trance-like state.

James followed Peter’s hand as he took the vial and dropper, dripping the liquid on his tongue. Peter let the empty vial roll out of his hand and onto the floor. His eyes closed once more. At this point the image of your animal was supposed to be uncovered, and the second the image was clear you had to focus all your energy, mind, and magic on it--grab it, embrace it. If it was done properly, you’d transform almost instantly that first time.

James waited, anticipation causing every muscle in his body--in his arms, legs, and face--to tense. Only nothing was happening. No trance. No transformation. Just silence, awful, unbearable silence.

Something was wrong.

James was afraid to meet Sirius’s eyes; the same terror he felt was reflecting in Sirius’s gaze, causing them both to be momentarily frozen. Then Peter began twitching and trembling, a cry forming on his lips, and Peter fell to the floor, thrashing around, arms and legs flailing. His skin was also turning an odd yellow color. Not one of these effects had been described in any of the dozens of books they’d poured over.

James turned away. Peter had stopped thrashing and now lay like a corpse, still. Sirius kneeled down beside his friend, shaking him, murmuring spells that were meant to awaken. James began pacing. He’d get help--but from where? By the time he reached Hogwarts it could be too late. That left Hogsmeade. It was late and everyone would be asleep. There was no choice but to knock on every door until someone allowed him to use their fireplace to call St. Mungos and alert Professor Dumbledore.

“I’m going for help-” James said, his voice breaking slightly, heavy with worry. He didn’t look back at Sirius or the lifeless body of his friend.

He’d find someone “ he had to “ Merlin “ they’d all be expelled for sure “ and if Peter survived this…

“James! Wait!”

“There’s no time to wait!”

“But look- Peter’s “ a “ look “ he’s a “ uh-”

Sirius let out a strangled half-laugh, half-sob.

James swiveled around, his eyes finding the spot where Peter’s body had been lying “ only there was a pile of clothes, no Peter, and from under the black robes “ scurrying through the material “ was a rat!
End Notes:
Author’s note: If you could take the time to leave a review, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks to all my readers, old and new.
Marauder or Prefect? by Lioness06
Chapter Seven~Marauder or Prefect?


Remus pinned his prefect badge neatly on his robes.

Imagine, Hogwarts’ first werewolf, a prefect.

Four years of watching other prefects - of watching prefects taking points off of James and Sirius- and Remus didn’t feel he fit the prefect mold. All the prefects before him had appeared self-assured and driven by their new power.

He stared at himself in the mirror a few more moments, unpinning the badge again to place it a bit higher on the front of his robes, before leaving the bathroom and entering back into the dorm.

Sirius and James were chatting on Sirius’s bed, open textbooks long forgotten. Peter was hurriedly copying Remus’s notes from Care of Magical Creatures; Peter had spilled pumpkin juice on his own notes, and the ink had run to the extent that the words were now unreadable. None of these behaviors were out of the ordinary except for the unsubtle way James, Sirius and Peter kept stealing glances at the clock. Remus had the impression his friends were anxiously waiting for his departure from the dorm.

Remus strolled over to his bed and rummaged around in his bag to retrieve his patrolling sheets. “I best go meet Evans and the other prefects in the common room,” he announced.

“Bye.”

“Have fun.”

“Later, mate.”

Yes, there was a distinct urgency to their speech, but Remus had other pressing matters than to worry about that. All the other Gryffindors were already present as he descended the stairs.

Gideon Prewett and Elizabeth Gregory were the seventh year prefects. Gideon’s younger brother, Fabian, was a Beater on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Claire Haddon and Luke Weller were the sixth years. Besides Gideon Prewett and Lily Evans, Remus knew nothing about the other prefects. Especially considering the friends he had, they generally avoided friendship with the prefect types.

Tonight was the first official prefect meeting and they had agreed to walk to it together. According to the information packet Remus had received over the summer, the meetings would fall once every two weeks. The senior prefects had already warned Remus and Lily the meetings tended to be stiflingly boring and for the most part did little to aide the prefects.

Remus, though, had different reasons for not looking forward to the meeting. The identity of the perpetrators of the hex preformed on Mary McDonald was bothering him. He knew James and Sirius were responsible, though he hadn’t seen them do the actual spell, only days before he’d heard them speaking of it. As a prefect he knew it was his duty to turn them in, but as a close friend the choice was not so simple.

It was always this behavior “ student hexing “ that Remus felt most uncomfortable with concerning his friends. The pranks tended to be less student-specific, so those did not bother him as much.

Remus had been a well-behaved, obedient child before Hogwarts. He’d been careful to control himself when he could, because once a month he was unable to. Since receiving the werewolf bite, he had tried to attract as little attention as possible to himself, a value instilled in him by his parents.

Then, knowing all the hurdles Dumbledore had overcome so a werewolf could safely attend Hogwarts, Remus had decided he wouldn’t cause an ounce of trouble. That was before he’d met James, Sirius, and Peter. His friends had pestered him the first year to join in on a prank or at the least break a school rule; any rule, they weren’t picky. He’d given in eventually and though he didn’t exactly have a penchant for mischief making, Remus had enjoyed the prank process. He supposed it was because of the camaraderie; the four of them, heads huddled, butterbeer or hot cocoa in their hands; they’d bounce ideas off each other for hours.

It quickly became apparent that Remus was good at the logistics of a prank. As Sirius had said, Remus ‘grounded’ the group. Even days later, Sirius’s statement still made him smile. It had always struck Remus how Sirius could be so thoughtless and careless with his words and then a second later say something profound and touching. He was part of the Marauders for better or worse and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

The Gryffindor prefects were now walking through the corridors to the meeting room on the second floor.

“I heard Joanne Finn wanted our meetings on Friday nights, but Jacob Long overruled her,” Claire Haddon gossiped.

“Why would she do that?” Lily asked. “Finn’s Friday nights would be ruined just like the rest of us.”

“Finn wants to show off her new power as Head Girl. Show us lesser beings that she controls our lives,” Gideon explained. “We all need to be on guard. If she can place every Gryffindor prefect on probation, she will.”

Remus sighed, adding this to the list of other things he needed to remember about being a prefect. Rounds assigned four times a week, and one falling on a Friday or Saturday night. As fifth year prefects they also had to be available at select times during the week for Gryffindor first years for help with homework and homesickness, and to teach them the rules and the most direct routes to different areas of the castle.

The Gryffindors filed into the meeting room silently. Two-seat tables had been arranged in four distinct sections. The other prefects that already had arrived had seated themselves by House. Gideon, who was currently dating a Hufflepuff prefect, did not heed the seating, choosing to sit among the Hufflepuffs. Remus followed the Gryffindors and was pleased when Lily took the seat beside him.

“Prewett, seat yourself with your housemates,” Joanne Finn, the Head Girl, commanded.

“Why? Is this some new rule?” Gideon responded.

Finn regarded him coolly. She and the Head Boy, Jacob Long, were sitting on throne-like chairs very different from the simple wooden chairs the rest of them were on.

“Yes, it is,” Long spoke. “Finn and I have decided that in order to keep better track of attendance, everyone will be seated by house.”

Gideon looking sour, joined the Gryffindors, and Lily, indignant on Gideon’s behalf, whispered to Remus, “How are we, as prefects, supposed to unite the student body if we can’t even sit with other houses?”

Remus, unsure of the correct reply, made a noncommittal sound. He didn’t know there was any sort of movement going on to unite everyone. If such a thing were to happen, Lily would be the perfect example. She, after all, was friendly with Severus Snape; a boy disliked by a large percent of the student population and, in Remus’s opinion, a boy that embodied every one of the characteristics of a true Slytherin. James and Sirius had a longstanding rivalry with Snape, and by default so did Peter and Remus.

As Long started the prefect meeting, Remus didn’t find him as disagreeable as he thought he would. The consensus had been that he would let Finn walk over him, but so far he’d held his own.

The Heads finished their introduction, and the reports from that weeks patrolling and other student misconduct write-ups were collected. Then each prefect introduced themselves (year, where they were from, favorite class). After that, they were instructed by next weeks meeting to create, using both magical and non-magical means, a way to display the monthly birthdays of each house member. The House with the best idea would be rewarded with a day off from patrolling (excluding Friday or Saturday nights).

Next, there was a time allocated for prefects who wished to speak about a concern, suggestion, complaint or idea. No prefect at the moment had anything to say, but a few of the new prefects used the time to receive clarification of certain duties. Finn passed out a list of the most popular banned items on Filch’s list based on what the prefects had confiscated from last year. The entire list, which all prefects were strongly suggested to view, could be found in Filch’s office.

The meeting was coming to a close and Remus was ready to leave when Finn cleared her throat.

“Wait.” Her voice was low, deadly. “Where is Remus Lupin?”

Remus shrank in his seat. His stomach dropped, alarms ringing in his head.

“Here,” Remus stated tentatively, bringing everyone’s attention to him, Finn’s eyes locked on him and he was reminded of a cobra that had just spotted her lunch.

“Are you close friends with James Potter and Sirius Black?”

“Yes, I am,” Remus said softly. His face felt hot and he was sure he was as red as a tomato. He never liked being the center of attention; he never actively sought it like James, and it did not actively seek him like it did Sirius.

“You share a dormitory with them?”

“I do.”

“I find it interesting that in your last report and in the one from the week before, you have not once written-up either of your friends, Black and Potter.”

“No, I haven’t, but only because-” he paused a moment, figuring out a way to explain. “Because they haven’t broken any rules, at least not in front of me.” It was the truth, even though he still had guilty thoughts about Mary McDonald.

“Not one? I find that difficult to believe. Sirius Black received a detention the first night back from Professor Keenan.”

“Finn, we aren’t allowed to disclose other student’s records,” Elizabeth Gregory said.

Finn ignored Gregory. “I hope, Lupin, you are taking your duties seriously.”

“I am,” Remus stated quietly.

“And you do understand your duty to keep the school in order comes before any pacts of friendship.”

Such as the Marauders? Remus thought wryly to himself. He nodded, wishing the floor would swallow him up.

“Back when my grandfather and father were at Hogwarts, prefects were respected and revered,” Finn said.

“You have to understand, Lupin,” Long interrupted with a smile as if to assure Remus they were on the same side, “your friends have continually thwarted what we have attempted to establish with the prefect system. Potter and Black regularly ignore school rules. They’ve been consistently rude to any prefect that catches them in the act. They don’t appear to care about getting in trouble. The prefect system was setup in a way to have students govern students. If, by example of your friends, students feel they can question prefects, we cannot do our job properly. The rules have been put in place for everyone’s safety. If Potter and Black could be reined in, even a little, it would benefit everyone. We need your help, Lupin. Who better to do that “ who better to show Black and Potter the error of their ways, than you, Lupin, a close friend.”

Remus cast his eyes downward, his guilt only aggravated by Long’s speech. “I’ll do what I can.”

“Oh, you better,” Finn hissed.

“Now that we have that taken care of,” Long began. Some of the prefects laughed. “The meeting is adjourned. We’ll be serving cookies and juice for those who wish to stay.”

Though the spotlight was off him, Remus couldn’t wait to leave the room. He was in no mood to stay for socialization. A terrible thought had occurred to him; the only reason he’d been appointed prefect was to exercise control over James and Sirius. The school needed some way to take care of the problem, and he’d been selected. Not because he’d exhibited prefect qualities, as his parents had been led to believe, but because he was best friends with the worst troublemakers in the school.

He went out of the room, and speedily made his way down the hall.

“Lupin, wait up!”

Remus paused, more out of habit from someone calling out to him than actually wanting to speak to someone. Lily was jogging after him. Lily had always been critical of James and Sirius, so he couldn’t fathom her words mollifying him in any way. He needed an ally and not someone who’d rant about his choice in friends.

By the time Lily had caught up, Remus had reached the staircase. Lily motioned him to sit down, and she handed over two cookies wrapped in a napkin.

“Not as good as Mrs. Potter’s,” she started lightly.

Remus forced a smile.

“Finn was out of order.” Lily placed a hand on his shoulder, her green eyes expressive with concern.

“I can’t always control their actions,” Remus burst, aware he sounded whiny.

“No one expects that of you,” remarked Lily.

Except that was exactly what Remus feared he was supposed to do.

“It sounded like they do! Were you not there? Merlin, the way Finn and Long were talking…James and Sirius have caused Hogwarts to be overrun with rule breakers.”

Lily laughed; it was not the response he’d anticipated. “The Heads did give your friends more blame than even they deserve.”

“Even I’ll admit they get out of hand sometimes, but…” He couldn’t describe to Lily how much it meant that, without question, they’d accepted his lycanthropy. Many of his parents’ friends and neighbors had abandoned them after they’d heard his parents had been raising a werewolf child. You can’t purchase loyalty like that. “They are the best friends I could ask for.”

It sounded contrite, but it was the truth.

“I’m sure every prefect is guilty of ‘looking the other way’ when a friend breaks the rules. Nothing to beat yourself up about.”

Remus jerked his head upward. “You wouldn’t,” Remus said softly.

“I haven’t yet “ but I’ve still a year of possibilities. My friends aren’t like yours. You should hear Severus go on and on about Potter and Black. He’s convinced they are always up to something. And not just small things, either, expulsion worthy projects.”

“He’s not that far off,” Remus said. They both burst out laughing, and Remus felt his worry ebbing.

“I really think if you talked to them…explain that as prefect you must uphold school rules for everyone, including them. If they are as good of friends as you say, they’ll listen and understand. If plotting mischief is more important to them than your feelings, they are being disrespectful, and you need to find better friends. If they respect you…”

“I know, and you’re right.”

Only he wasn’t as confident as he sounded. He knew James and Sirius would be delighted to be named as adversaries to the prefect system. They wouldn’t be ashamed; they’d take it as the highest compliment to be bestowed on any mischief maker.

“Let’s go to the common room, shall we? Speak to them tonight. The sooner you do it, the better,” Lily encouraged.

Despite Lily’s pep talk, Remus dallied in the James-Sirius-Peter-free environment of the common room when he and Lily returned. He chatted with Lily, and some of the other girls. Mary McDonald was hiding upstairs even though all her facial features were back to their proper sizes.

Surprised his friends were not making an appearance in the common room, Remus, yawning, bade the girls goodnight. Ascending the stairs to the dorm, Remus felt nervousness for the confrontation begin to take over. He’d decided to heed Lily’s advice. His friends could laugh and admonish him all they wanted; he’d get his point across to them. The confidence Remus had built on his way up deflated upon only seeing Terry Keeler and Derek Newbell preparing for bed. Neither knew where his friends had gotten to, and glancing at the clock on his bed stand, Remus noted it was over an hour past curfew.

While shuffling around, he searched under his pillow and by his desk, looking for any clue as to their whereabouts. He’d been able to ignore the hex on Mary, but he couldn’t ignore this. Not after suffering through the prefect meeting, not after speaking to Lily about their disrespect regarding his prefect position. Tomorrow morning he’d write them up for being out of bed.


“Remus… Remus…”

There was a voice calling his name through a long, narrow tunnel. He felt a warm hand on his shoulder, and he tried to shrug it off; it wasn’t too late to recapture his dream.

“Remus! Wake up!” Same voice, only louder and closer.

“What?” he said groggily.

“Ssshhh!” A second, different voice.

Remus moaned, having only enough strength to open one eye. In the shrouded darkness, he could barely discern the faces of James, Sirius, and Peter.

“Leave me alone. I’m sleeping.” He shut his one eye, turning away.

“Remus, we need to show you something.” There was barely contained excitement in James’s voice. James sounded like he was grinning from ear to ear.

“Show me later,” Remus mumbled, voice still laden with sleep. If they’d leave him be, he’d be back asleep in seconds.

“Come on, get up!” Sirius said. “It’s important.”

“Not as important as sleep,” Remus said back, but he rolled out of bed.

He wrapped a warm robe around himself, padding down the stairs into the common room after his friends. His eyes battled the light; Remus forced them open, and his body struggled to deal with the reality that he was now awake.

“You should have put on trainers,” were the first words out of Peter’s mouth.

“Why? What time is it anyway?”

“Two in the morning,” James supplied.

“Have you been out the entire night?” Remus demanded.

“Yes.” The smile attached to Sirius’s words, the casualness, nettled Remus. Sirius repeated Peter’s comment. “You really ought to retrieve your trainers.”

“Why? I’m not leaving the common room and neither are you,” Remus retorted. He was annoyed that they’d broken the rules and that they’d woken him up to just continue breaking them.

“We can’t show you here,” James said. He looked anxious and unable to stand still.

“I don’t want to know. I’m writing you up for being out of bed. And did you hex Mary McDonald?”

“Mary McDonald?” James looked surprised.

“Yes, you remember her? She’s in our year and she spent the night hiding in her dorm, embarrassed by the hex. I know you are behind it.” Remus crossed his arms defiantly.

“You told on us?” Peter asked quickly. “I didn’t have anything to do with it at all “ James and Sirius-”

“I didn’t snitch on you. I should have though.” James and Sirius looked slightly abashed. “Can we just go back to bed?”

“Remus, you don’t understand,” James stated, jumping in front of him so Remus’s way was blocked. “We “ er- tonight “ we “ Sirius do you want to show him?”

“Here? Now?” Sirius looked around the empty common room apprehensively. Despite everything, Remus was intrigued.

“I’ll place a block on each of the stairs leading to the common room.” James headed over and mumbled a spell.

Remus waited, casting an annoyed look. Peter was biting his lip. Sirius took a deep breath and closed his grey eyes tightly. Seconds ticked by…

“What are we waiting for?” Remus asked, not wanting to spend a moment more out of bed.

“I need silence, Remus!” Sirius yelled crossly.

Remus glared as Sirius’s face tensed in concentration.

“What are-” Remus’s jaw dropped as his words faltered. In place of Sirius was a large, shaggy black dog. A shiver ran up his spine, His mind unable to process what he was seeing through his astonishment. The black dog padded around the room, making a quick lap. Remus couldn’t rip his eyes off the animal, afraid that if he did, he’d wake up from the dream. Sirius transformed back into human form, now smugly smiling, deeply satisfied by his accomplishment. Looking a bit drained from the transformation, Sirius lounged on one of the couches, stretching out, hands behind his head.

Thoughts were finally beginning to come together in Remus’s mind, but he was not yet able to coherently speak. James undid the blocking spells.

He had no idea his friends had been this close to becoming Animagi. Never in his mind did he believe they’d ever be successful in this endeavor. It was something he’d dreaded and desperately wished for at the same time.

Sirius, James, and Peter were all eagerly waiting for his approval.

“You’ve actually done it?” Remus voiced, sounding hoarse. He sank into the nearest red, puffy armchair, joining Sirius.

“I know! Hah!” James let out a cry of triumph.

“You and Peter, too?” Remus questioned.

“Yes, yes! Peter turns into a rat and I turn into a stag. Can you bloody believe it?”

He most certainly could not bloody believe it. He shook his head.

“You did this just tonight?”

“Last step was tonight,” Sirius explained. “We’ve been working on this for a mere three years.”

Remus knew they’d been working on it for quite some time, but he never had the nerve to ask them about their progress. It was a dangerous enough without him encouraging them.

“See, we weren’t creating mayhem, Remus,” James teased.

“You did this in the castle? What if someone had caught you?”

“That’s why we went to the Shrieking Shack,” Peter added.

“You knew, though, that tonight would be the night?” Remus asked.

“We had hoped,” Sirius continued. “We didn’t want to say anything to you, incase things went wrong. We did have a close call with Peter. For a moment James and I thought he was “ well everything worked out. And now we’ve all successfully changed a half-dozen times.”

“Does it hurt?” He was thinking of his own painful transformations.

“No, just a tingling sensation.”

“It’s mentally exhausting, though,” Peter volunteered. “According to the book it should get easier with time and practice.”

Remus’s anger had dissipated, dissolving as quickly as an ice cube thrown into a cup of boiling water. His words to Lily about his friendship with these boys had never rang truer. He wanted to express the warmth spreading through his body; he wanted to let them know this meant the world to him. Eloquent words escaped him.

“Thank you,” he murmured feeling the words inadequate. “You didn’t have to do this…”

“We wanted to,” James insisted.

“We wanted to help. No one should have to go through what you do alone,” added Sirius.

“It’s just “ unbelievable-”

“We have to begin preparing for the next full moon-” James said.

“Wait,” Remus said. He’d barely processed the fact his friends could turn into animals at will. He wasn’t ready to think of the next step, James, Sirius, and Peter accompanying him on full moon nights. His transformations were painful and lonely, but also very private. “You really think you’ll be comfortable enough?”

“Why not?” Sirius said. “We’ve all done it successfully a few times. We practice a bit more, and then it’s just the logistics of accompanying you.”

“If you’re sure…”

“Remus, we are,” insisted James with a smirk.

Remus laughed, and the others joined in. He already knew, despite his insistence that they wouldn’t be able to talk him out of it, that he wouldn’t write them up. How could he? They’d disobeyed curfew for him. To help him. It was no way to repay them.

James and Peter took seats on the couches as well, and Sirius, with a flick of his wand, lit the fire. Going back to sleep now would be impossible. Remus’s mind was still turning with the news. Caught up in their own cleverness, they spoke quietly for another hour or two. Interrupting each other constantly, James, Sirius, and Peter described in finer detail their night, starting with Victoria Dekker’s arrival in the dorm.

The fire eventually died out, and one by one (Sirius first, Peter last) they fell asleep in the armchairs. This was how little Jeremy Blunt and Jacob Shores found them, racing each other down the stairs with the bountiful energy of first-years. Blunt and Shore stopped short “ recognizing the sleeping forms instantly. The first years idolized James and Sirius especially, awed by their rather spectacular reputation. Seconds later, the first years scampered out of the common room, and the resulting shutting of the Portrait door woke Peter. He, in turn, rigorously shook the others awake, and they crept upstairs before anyone else came down.


The quartet was spotted yawning and stretching lazily as they entered the Great Hall. James’s hair looked more messed up than usual, and all their robes looked rumpled. Their entrance was noticed by a large percentage of the student body, but only Severus Snape studied their movement with obsessive care. He’d woken up on the floor in the fourth floor corridor, Potter and Pettigrew long gone. The Golden Gryffindors looked as though they’d been out all night; Potter and Pettigrew must have been on their way to meet Lupin and Black.

“James, over here!” Victoria Dekker called. She pointed enthusiastically to the sole empty seat between her and her friend Amy. Victoria’s boyfriend had looked up suspiciously at the sound of her voice, but everyone had to sit with their housemates during breakfast and dinner. Lunch, which was at different times depending on grade level, allowed some inter-house seating.

“You aren’t going to make me sit with her alone?” protested James.

“Afraid of a girl? Where’s your Gryffindor courage?” Sirius asked.

“Oh, shut-up,” James mumbled as Sirius pushed James forward. “I’ll get you back for this.”

In order to get to Victoria and her friends, James had to walk by the girls in their year. James playfully pulled at Lily Evans’ braids as he sauntered by. Evans swiveled around abruptly, raising her eyebrows at James, who flashed her a smile. Evans rolled her eyes and her friends tittered around her.

Seated almost at the end of Gryffindor table, Sirius piled eggs and toast on his plate. He downed a large glass of orange juice. Peter was strangely eating slowly, still appearing groggy. Remus, on the other hand, was tucking into his food most enthusiastically. There was a positive change in Remus, though Sirius might have been imagining it. And Sirius was convinced his friend’s happiness and confidence was because of their success last night. If things continued to go as planned, Remus would no longer be alone on those terrible full-moon nights.

Changing into an animal was a unique experience. The actual transformation was very neutral, besides a slight tingling sensation; there was nothing unpleasant nor pleasant about it. Once you were in full animal form, the world suddenly appeared calmer and simpler. Animagi retained their human mind completely when transformed along with their animals’ characteristics. Sirius was amazed by both his new sense of smell and hearing. He couldn’t wait to transform again, and test out his abilities. Being an Animagus not only helped his friend, but it opened up a new world of possibilities. Exploring the Forbidden Forest was dangerous even to the bravest wizard; it would certainly be safer as a dog, stag, and rat.

Suddenly, from where James was seated, there was an outburst of laughter. Victoria and all her friends were laughing in his direction and giggling madly, and James was smirking.

“What do you think James is telling them?” Sirius asked Peter and Remus.

Remus chuckled. “Probably that you snore…”

“I don’t snore, that’s Peter.”

“I can’t help it,” Peter mumbled.

“Or that you sleep in the nude-”

“I don’t,” protested Sirius, though on second thought, it wouldn’t have been the worst of rumors.

“James can say anything he wants. I doubt any of those girls will ever find out the truth,” Peter stated.

Loud laughter erupted again, the girls casting curiously long glances. Sirius glared at his plate and attacked it with is fork.

Peter, though, looked pleased. “He’s really getting back at you, isn’t he?”

“James doesn’t really mind Victoria…and if she’s dating that Hufflepuff he doesn’t even have anything to dislike about her company. And honestly, her friend Amy isn’t as bad as Justine Lee. Now then I could understand his anger if I made him sit with her.” Justine was a year above them, with terrible acne and hair so thick small items could certainly get lost in it. She was withdrawn and an easy butt of jokes among students.

At the end of the meal, James extracted himself from Victoria’s clutches.

“Well?” Sirius asked.

“Well what?” James responded.

“What were you saying about me?”

“Why in Godric’s name would I waste a breath on you?”

“Maybe if you used more subtlety.”

“Subtlety’s no fun, my dear friend. Let’s just say I told them about your sleeping companion.”

“Sleeping companion?”

“Fuzzy the Panda…you’ve slept with her since you were a wee little lad, and still do.”

“Anything else about myself I should know about?”

“Yes, the large pink heart tattoo above your navel.”

“What?!”

“They were very intrigued by it, said showed you had a sensitive side.”

“Sleep with one eye open tonight, Potter.”

James grinned, unperturbed. “Oh, I’d be nice to me, or I might spill about that night in our first year when you cried yourself to sleep because you missed our dear old Mum.”

“Remus, remind me why I’m friends with this git.”

“I’m not getting involved,” Remus replied, motioning the group to walk out of the Great Hall.

“I can help you there “ because I’m funny and charming “ and-” James stopped. Severus Snape was approaching the same exit as they were at that moment.

“Snivellus,” James greeted nastily.

“Have a nice fall last night, Snivellus,” Sirius asked with a haughty laugh.

Peter and James chuckled.

Snape glared at the group. “It was you then last night, Black?” Snape sounded bored, as if he were just taking stock of the situation. He didn’t even sound the least bit angry.

Sirius shrugged. “And if it was? Going to snitch on me?

“Unlike you Black, I have patience. I can wait, but I will get back at you, for last night and for everything you’ve done and are going to do.”

“Right “ as you can see we’re all quaking in our boots.”

“Let’s go. We’ll be late for class,” Remus muttered, and the four friends took off down the hall.
End Notes:
Author’s note: There’s not much plot advancement in this chapter, but it’s important in the development of the Marauders. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and please take the time to leave a review.
Dueling Lessons by Lioness06
It was the last class of the day, and Sirius was far away from any academic thought. Less than twenty-four hours ago, he and his friends had successfully completed the Animagus transformation. Sirius was proud of his dog form and secretly relieved he hadn’t turned into a dungbeetle or flobberworm. James’s form had been magnificent; a stag, large and proud. Peter was rat, which was not as nearly exciting as a dog or stag, but never the less, transforming into any animal was amazing, and a feat none of the other students at Hogwarts would ever accomplish.

Sirius was itching to transform again, just to be sure that he could. The excitement and glow from being able to turn into an animal at will was still with him. All day the boys had to merely glance at one another and they’d immediately erupt into wide grins and laughter; all thinking the same thoughts, reveling in their shared secret; their incredible achievement. How in Merlin was he supposed to concentrate in class today?

“Mr. Black, I expect better than this on your next assignment,” Professor Flitwick lectured.

Sirius nodded begrudgingly to the Professor. He didn’t appreciate being reminded that the school day wasn’t over and that he had failed a recent assignment. Professor Flitwick was passing back a homework essay from earlier in the week. Sirius had written the Charms essay last minute, and his grade (D for dreadful) clearly reflected that.

“I got an Acceptable,” Peter boasted beside him. Sirius had quickly shoved his own essay into his school bag, while Peter proudly left his on display.

“Read chapter three in Basic Spells: Year Five for Tuesday. There might be a surprise quiz on the material, so take detailed notes,” Professor Flitwick instructed the class.

The bell struck to dismiss class right on cue, and Sirius shot up from his seat. Professor Flitwick frowned in his direction; he wasn’t the only teacher to have noticed that Sirius had been more anxious and impatient than usual in all his classes. In his fifteen years of life, Sirius had learned that time always dragged on when you wanted it to tick by quickly, and today was no exception to the rule.

Sirius waited for his friends outside; they hadn’t gathered their belongings quickly enough for him.

“In a hurry, Sirius?” James asked.

Sirius nodded. “No more classes until Monday,” he answered. “I think I’d drown myself if I had to sit through another lecture.”

“It will feel like we still are in class,” Peter complained. “The Professors have really piled on the work.”

“If you don’t wait until Sunday night,” Remus looked pointedly at James and Sirius, “it won’t seem so bad.”

Rolling their eyes, James and Sirius led the group straight for Gryffindor Tower. Gryffindor team tryouts were scheduled to begin at three-thirty that afternoon, for one new Beater. The rest of the team would stay as it was. Aidan Gallagher, the team captain, had also opened the tryouts for Chasers and Seekers to try-out as alternates.

Yesterday, Sirius had agreed to help James warm-up for an hour before tryouts. Sirius enjoyed flying, and though there was no real reason for James to warm-up, his position on the team was secure, James was a fanatic. He’d make a perfect team caption next year or the year after; Quidditch fanaticism was a trait, from what Sirius had experienced, that was required for the position.

Sirius retrieved his Cleansweep from his trunk. He’d received the broom for his thirteenth birthday from his Uncle Alphard. His parents had only let him keep it because it was expected that all pure-bloods have their own broom, even if they weren’t on the team, and appearances were everything in the elite world his parents belonged to.

James changed into his Quidditch clothes and Sirius picked out an expensive light green robe that his parents had purchased for him. They’d meant for him to wear it to a fancy event, such as a Slug Club party; instead he’d be playing Quidditch in it, hopefully soaking it with sweat and dirt. Peter watched them forlornly. He didn’t have a broom, and Sirius was thankful James didn’t invite him to tag along. This way he’d have some one-on-one time with his best mate.

Broom slung over their shoulders in a carefree manner, James and Sirius bounded down to the common room. A second year boy with short-cropped blonde hair approached them. “Potter, I’m trying out for Beater,” the boy informed James.

“I am too!” his friend with curly brown hair added.

“Good luck! I’ll see you out there later,” James said running a hand through his hair. The boys’ eyes widened with the compliment, adoration evident in their shiny faces. “Did you see how little they were? I doubt they would be able to hold the Beater bat, let along swing it,” James muttered more to himself than Sirius, as they left the common room

Outside the wind had let up, the air felt warmer than usual for a fall afternoon. James unlocked the team lockers, and they lugged out one large Quidditch chest to the pitch. James had gotten the key earlier from Aidan Gallagher. Sirius grabbed a Quaffle before they mounted the brooms and soared into the air. James increased his speed quickly, shooting around the Quaffle hoops, in an impressive display of flying.

An hour later the rest of the Quidditch team showed up, with Aidan leading the way. James and Sirius landed at the same time on the ground.

“I was watching you Black. Not a bad throwing arm and your flying’s excellent. Are you trying out today?” Aidan asked.

“Nah,” Sirius replied.

“Why not?” Aidan looked slightly offended.

“You know me. I don’t take well to authority. You’ll either end up benching me or chucking me off the team in a week or two.”

“Your brother is trying out for Seeker on the Slytherin team.”

If Aidan hoped to tap into Sirius’s inner brotherly competitive spirit, he would not be lucky today.

“Good for him. Have a good tryout,” Sirius answered back. He was surprised to hear Regulus was trying-out since their mother considered Quidditch frivolous. Though as the second son, his brother was allowed more leniencies.

Cleansweep once again slung over his shoulder, he sauntered over to the slowly filling stands. With Gryffindor the favorite to win the Quidditch Cup again this year, watching the tryouts was popular.

Sirius ignored Peter, who was waving at him to get his attention, for another person had caught Sirius’s eye.

“What’s a snake doing among so many lions?”

Leila Yaxley stood at the end of the bleachers. “See what you’ve reduced me to for an audience,” she remarked.

Leila’s school robes were open displaying her blouse and skirt underneath. The robes may have hidden her curves, but the clothes underneath certainly did not. Sirius swallowed hard, the attraction he suddenly felt caught him off guard.

Sirius grabbed hold of Leila’s wrist and forcefully pulled her around the back of the stands for privacy. He let her go and she rubbed her wrist indignantly.

“You’ve got five minutes,” he grumbled leaning his broom on the back wall of the stands. They were standing close, and Sirius could smell her vanilla scented perfume. It was different from the floral sprays most teenage witches were wearing.

“Our parents are in negotiations again for our engagement,” she began.

“You’re telling me this why? To warn me?”

“Warn you?” She raised her perfect eyebrows and pursed her red lips. “You misunderstand me, Sirius. I want to marry you.”

His face darkened. “I don’t. I can’t understand why you’re agreeing to this.”

“Why wouldn’t I? If it isn’t you, it will be someone else. You’re handsome, popular, and rich, and your family pedigree is immaculate. I knew we were destined to be wed before Hogwarts.”

“What!”

“I suppose you wouldn’t remember, but I first saw you when we were ten. It was at the Malfoys’ New Years Eve party. Ice sculptures were everywhere and I felt like a princess in my extravagant robes. My female cousins and I heard that the Black brothers were to in attendance. We were anxious to finally meet you, since your mother and father didn’t let you associate much with children who weren’t direct blood relations. Of course, we’d heard so much about you “ how handsome and bright you both were, the elder one especially. I was standing five feet away from you when you entered. You and Regulus were dressed in green and white “ haughty and proud, just like you should be “ just like someone of the ‘Noble and Most Ancient House of Black’. I fell hard for you that night.”

“Very nice anecdote, Leila. You had a crush on me. Big deal. I’ll not marry you for some silly story.”

“We can do this the easy or hard way, Sirius,” she said meeting his darkened gaze, head on, despite a blush creeping on her face. “The easy way,” she continued, “is for us to spend time together, and to get to know each another.”

“Be good little obedient children. Always do what mummy and daddy say.”

“I never had anything against Gryffindor as a House, but if this is how they teach you to act--”

“You mean actually have your own thoughts and ideas and not blindly follow our parents’ desires and pureblood rhetoric.”

“No, to be rude, disobedient, and disagreeable. Our parents are only looking out for our best interest.”

“No, the family’s best interest!”

“Which is one and the same, Sirius!”

“What about my happiness? What about yours? This is our life, our choice.”

“The hard way then,” she shot back.

“I’m choosing the right way; the only way I can live with myself. I’ll fight this to the end and it would make it easier if you were on my side.”

“You’re making a mistake.”

“And your five minutes are up, Yaxley.”

Sirius snatched his broom up and turned his back on Leila, returning to the Gryffindors; tryouts, which had begun. Neither Leila nor Sirius noticed Mary McDonald hiding in the shadows.


“So what are we going to do today?” Peter asked, yawing widely.

It was Saturday morning, the day after the Gryffindor tryouts. Tristan Belden, a third year, had won the coveted Beater position on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. After winning the Quidditch Cup the last three years, there had been a huge turnout for tryouts. Though Tristan Belden showed the most potential, he needed a lot of work. James accepted that the third year was the best choice out of motley lot that had shown up. Sirius had noticed a lot of the girls were there to just flirt and when the time came to fly, clung onto their brooms as if they’d never flown before.

The boys had just returned from breakfast back to their dorm. James had sat once again with Victoria Dekker and her friends. The girls had barely looked in his direction all morning, which was a marked contrast from the other morning.

On the way back to the dorm, James admitted to Sirius that he had never told the girls any of those things, and that he had just asked them to look and laugh in Sirius’s direction to make it appear as if they knew his darkest secrets. James, who was an open person by nature, could never keep things from Sirius for very long.

“I don’t have Quidditch,” James told them flopping down on his bed. “Slytherin is holding tryouts today, so the pitch is taken.”

“Is Aidan Gallagher going to spy on them?” Sirius asked curiously.

“I think he tried to recruit two third years, non Quidditch players, to have a look. Any of us would be too obvious.”

“You could use the cloak,” Peter suggested.

“The team is strong this year, and tryouts won’t tell us much information. We just have to wait and see who joins the other House teams.” James turned to Sirius. “Do you think your brother will make the team?”

“I’ve never seen him fly,” Sirius responded shortly.

“You haven’t?” Remus asked in surprise.

“I was rarely awarded outdoor recreation, not like Regulus. He often had two afternoons off a week to romp outside, while I was locked inside training to be the perfect Black heir.”

James, Remus, and Peter regarded Sirius pensively. Sirius was rarely forthcoming about his home life, and when it came out of the blue, it was always difficult to find a proper way to respond.

“What homework does everyone have left?” Remus asked.

“Everything,” Sirius stated casually.

“Me too,” James added proudly.

“Peter and I only have the ‘Defense’ essay left,” Remus informed them.

“When did you two get that done?” James said in surprise. It was after all only Saturday morning.

“Last night while you two were goofing off in the common room.”

“It was Friday night,” Sirius defended. “Plus we have all of Sunday to work on it.”

“What about today? You aren’t even going to start it?” Remus said.

“I think today would be an excellent day to finish up Operation Furry Little Problem,” Sirius explained.

“I hear the Forbidden Forest calling our name,” James said excitedly placing his hands behind his head.

Remus frowned.

“Come on, Remus, Peter and I still need to show you our forms,” James said.

“I heard it was supposed to rain today,” Remus said.

Sirius unlatched one of the windows in the dorm, and stuck his head out to look at the clear blue sky. “Yeah, it looks like it’s about to pour any minute,” Sirius responded sarcastically.

“Ok. We’ll go. Though we can’t get caught entering or leaving the Forest,” Remus implored them, and he unconsciously touched his prefect badge.


Severus Snape was in his own world.

Snape barely registered Mary McDonald rushing past, bumping into him as she clutched a letter to her chest. It was a letter from her sister who had graduated from Hogwarts two years prior. Mary’s sister worked for a monthly teen and young adult magazine called Twitches.

Lily and Snape had studied in the library all morning, Lily more than Snape. He’d been too conscious of her warm body beside him and of the countless times their elbows or hands brushed; sending pleasurable shocks through his body. When she spoke he was free to stare into those marvelous pools of emerald green.

Snape wasn’t the only male to be entranced by Lily’s presence; there were plenty of hormonally driven teenage boys hovering nearby. A girl like Lily was always noticed; she had that unexplainable, indescribable something about her. Despite other admirers, Severus had little to worry about. Lily had plainly ignored the hopeful smile by the Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain and the wave from the sixth year Hufflepuff. Lily always gave him her full attention and he still held the title of her best friend, regardless of the fact they weren’t as close anymore. He loved her differently than all the boys who she’d caught the eye of. He loved her for who she was. Of course, he did wish, when he allowed his mind to drift that way, to be more intimate with Lily. He couldn’t think of anything more wonderful than having her soft red lips graze his own.

“Severus!” The sharp voice snapped him unpleasantly out of his daydream.

“You are impossible to find,” Leila Yaxley complained, catching up with him. She’d unbalanced him by using his first name. He was usually referred to by his surname or Snivellus by less desirable company.

“I was in the library.”

“All afternoon? What could have possibly kept your interest in there?” she demanded.

The image of Lily surfaced to his mind and he suppressed a smirk.

“Did you want something?”

“I’ve thought over the deal.”

Snape debated about the merit of feigning ignorance. He chose instead to nod his head, allowing Leila to interpret it how she wanted.

“I didn’t believe it would come to this; Sirius is being infuriatingly stubborn and I don’t see how waiting longer will help maters.”

“Batting your eyelashes and swaying your hips, is having no effect on Black?” Snape asked unable to pass this opportunity without a comment. “My, my, have you lost your touch?”

She glared at him. Leila was beautiful in a more sophisticated way that Lily, and Snape relished that a rich, snobby, popular girl needed him. He wouldn’t let her know this, but she needn’t beg for his assistance. He would gladly do anything to make Sirius Black’s life a little more miserable.

“Will you help me or not?”

“There are conditions-”

“Like what?”

“Do you have the potion instructions?”

“I haven’t picked one out yet. The way Slughorn goes on about you, I’d thought you could brew anything.”

“I can,” Snape snapped. “I’d like to know ahead of time the brewing length, and the ingredients, which you will supply and pay for.”

“Of course.”

“I’d also like an assurance of this protection I’m receiving in return. A demonstration, if you will.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“I’ll figure out what and a place and time. You just make sure there are Slytherins there to help me.”

She gazed at him for a moment and for a moment Snape thought she was going to leave. “Fine. You can tell me the time and place after I’ve picked out the right potion. I’ll contact you then.”

“Pleasure doing business with you,” he mocked as he watched her flounce away.


Remus dumped the banana and pile of toast he’d wrapped in white napkin on one of the round tables in the Gryffindor common room.

“You’ll never finish in time,” Remus admonished the sole occupant of the room.

“Have some faith in me, Remus,” Sirius remarked, ceasing his intense scribbling to take a bite out of the toast.

“If you’d listened to me “ Peter had all his homework done before lunch yesterday “ then you’d be eating breakfast in the Great Hall with the rest of us.”

“I’ll listen to you one of these days,” Sirius answered.

The weekend had really flown by fast, and thinking back, Sirius realized he hadn’t really accomplished very much. Saturday morning had been spent in the Forbidden Forest where James and Peter had shown Remus their animal forms, and then they spent some time practicing transforming and testing out their agility. Saturday afternoon they’d lazed around on the Hogwarts grounds chatting about nonsense. Then Saturday night, Sirius and James had engaged in a wizard chess tournament with a few Gryffindor boys from various years. James and Sirius had slept in Sunday morning, and had found Remus had persuaded Peter to spend the morning in the library finishing up the weekend homework. Sunday afternoon Sirius had joined James and Aidan to discuss Quidditch tactics. He’d pretended not to care when Aidan informed him Regulus was now the Slytherin Seeker. Sunday night was filled with more procrastination, and though Sirius had finished most of the work, he’d fallen asleep before completing the Defence Against the Dark Arts essay that was due first thing in the morning.

Crunching on the toast, Sirius read over what he’d written so far. He just needed a quick conclusion now.

“Hurry up or we’ll be late,” Remus said as he paced the room.

“Peter and James meeting us in the classroom?”

“Yes. Peter wouldn’t leave breakfast any earlier than he has to, you know him.”

“You can leave if you want.”

Remus stayed, alternating between pacing, looking at the window, and staring over Sirius’s shoulder to see his progress. After a few more minutes, Remus couldn’t keep quiet any longer, “Sirius-”

“Done!” Sirius replied triumphantly, rolling the scroll and stuffing it into his bag.

“We’ll never make it to class on time,” Remus moaned.

Sirius rolled his eyes. “I know you are a prefect, but if we run-”

“Stop talking and just go.”

So the two fifth years ran out of the common room and briskly through the empty halls. The boys skidded around the corner, wrenched open the classroom door open. Remus already had his essay out and he hastily added it to the pile, and only then did he take a moment to catch his breath. Sirius wasted a few precious seconds rummaging for his, as he grabbed the rolled sheet, and he let it fall from his hand, it glided through the air, as it touched Remus’s assignment, the bell rang. Professor Keenan had been writing something on the blackboard with his wand looked back at them sharply. Sirius met the teacher’s eyes challenging him to call his paper tardy.

No one in their class had yet turned in an assignment late. Keenan’s threat of punishment had so far worked to the teacher’s advantage, and no one had been willing to challenge it yet.

“Lupin, Black, if you’d be so gracious to be seated so we can begin class?”

Sirius nodded, feeling as he’d won a small victory against Professor Keenan.

“We were bloody lucky,” Remus murmured under his breath to Sirius as they took their usual seats; Sirius next to James, and Remus next to Peter a row behind.

Sirius may have disliked Professor Keenan, but the majority of the student population found him to be a fair and competent teacher. The girls were especially fond of him, and had taken to lining up by his office for extra help.

“Wands outs class,” Professor Keenan instructed with a small smile. Practical magic was always every ones favorite part of class. “We will be doing something different today. The Headmaster has given me permission to include in your lessons, as well as the lessons of the sixth and seventh years, dueling.”

There was an agreeable murmur throughout the class.

“Leave your bags and books here. Bring only your wand! I’ve set up a room next door.”

The students didn’t need to be told twice. They clattered out of their seats and chattered merrily with their friends as Keenan lead them to the adjacent classroom. The room had been elongated, and a long rectangle box outlined in red was in the middle of the room. There was a large five point star on each end of the dueling area.

“Line up along the red line, please.”

A Slytherin girl with a pointed nose raised her hand. “Professor, will this be on O.W.L.’s?”

“No. I feel, and Professor Dumbledore has agreed, with the current situation outside Hogwarts’ walls it is imperative that all students be trained in defense, including wizard dueling. Over the next few months we will devote one class a week to dueling. If there is enough interest among fifth, sixth, and seventh years, I will start a Dueling Club.”

The students nodded; eager for the lesson to begin. Even Sirius was impressed by the lesson change.

“In this class we will be focusing on a lot of the formalities associated with dueling. In the real world if you find yourself in a combat situation, these should all be pushed aside. First I will demonstrate to you the ‘armed position’.” Professor Keenan held his arm over his head in a striking position, his legs wide and slightly bent. “Now you try.”

Keenan went around the class adjusting arms and grips were needed. “It is important not to grip your wand too loosely or too tightly. As you practice you will find the best grip for yourself. Today we will go over a simple Disarming Charm. Mr. Pettigrew, do you know the incantation for the Disarming Charm?”

Peter looked startled to have been chosen. “Er “ Expelliarmus?” Peter stammered, “Sir?”

“Correct. Now I want each of you “ without saying the incantation “ to bring your arm in one swift motion toward the middle of your body, like so.” Keenan showed them the movement, and Sirius could tell the teacher was well-versed in dueling by his precise technique. The Professor was light on his feet and in control. “Now you try.”

Keenan strolled around watching them all attempt to copy what he’d just shown them.

“Mr. Tavers, that is too much of a jab. Be determined with your movements, but not so hard.”

“Miss Volker, it must be one swift movement. You must also be less cautious; do no think so much, let the magic flow from within you.”

“Very good class. I’d like everyone to pair up, and to face each other across the dueling square. There should be twelve students on one side, and twelve students on the other.”

James immediately moved toward Sirius to partner. “Let’s go near Snivellus,” James whispered and Sirius nodded in agreement. With careful maneuvering, Sirius was beside Snape, and James was beside Snape’s partner Wilkes.

“I’d like to remind you that we will be Disarming only. Now I would like those on the right side to attempt to disarm your partner. Those on the left side, your job is to simply stand there. Ready. Set. Go.”

“Expelliarmus!”

Sirius watched with satisfaction as James’s wand came sailing toward him. Only Lily and Leila besides Sirius had been successful on their side on the first try

“Class, watch Mr. Black, please. His spell was perfectly executed.”

James retrieved his wand, so Sirius could repeat the spell with the class watching him.

“See his deliberate movement and control? Excellent Mr. Black, have five points for Gryffindor.”

Sirius’s classmates beamed around him. Professor Keenan had the students on the other side give it a whirl. Then he went pair by pair to watch more carefully each student, and to show them the errors they were making. Next, in the same pairs they were instructed to try disarming each other at the same time. It was to see if any of them could cast the spell under duress of their opponent casting at the same time.

James and Sirius were well matched. Sirius did find it more challenging to cast the spell while his opponent was doing the same thing, but after ten minutes he grew restless. Both James and Sirius had mastered this spell at the end of their first year, so it wasn’t anything new to them. If Sirius had been more observant he would have noticed that about half the class, even thirty minutes into the lesson, was still having difficulty. It proved too tempting for the duo, with two Slytherins right beside them, to not have a little bit of fun.

Sirius glanced over to Professor Keenan, who was at the other side of the room, helping Mary McDonald and Anita Knight with their arm movement. Mary looked quite love struck by the fact Keenan had his hand on her arm. James had followed his gaze and thinking all the same lines as Sirius, tilted his head slightly toward Snape and Wilkes.

James cocked his wand, and Sirius pretended to get into the defending position. Silently James sent a spell soaring toward Snivellus. Snape promptly began doing a jig, uncontrollably. It didn’t take long for more and more students to stop practicing to look over, alerting the Professor.

“I said Disarming only!” Keenan said striding over.

“I don’t know what happened!” Wilkes said looking at his wand flabbergasted.

“It was Potter,” someone muttered. Sirius turned toward the voice, but he couldn’t figure out who in the class had snitched.

The damage was done anyway. The words were enough for Professor Keenan to turn to James, who like Sirius had been grinning at Snape’s predicament. James quickly sobered under Keenan’s stare.

“It was an accident,” James explained briskly. “I was aiming for Sirius-”

Before replying, Professor Keenan undid the Jig Jinx. Snape was now bent over trying to catch his breath. His skin had turned a deep red from the exertion of the unplanned exercise.

“If it was an accident, Mr. Potter than Mr. Snape would simply be disarmed and not dancing around like a buffoon!”

“James was aiming at me, sir. And I told him he could use another spell on me,” Sirius interrupted quickly to collaborate his friend’s story.

“Last time I checked you are not the teacher. Are you Mr. Black? I explicably said to only use the Disarming spell. My instructions were not a suggestion; I expect them to be followed.”

Sirius looked down, but did not answer.

James, however, was not ready to give up on talking his way out of trouble. “It was an accident! I only used the other spell because I was bored. I’ve known how to cast a proper Expelliarmus for years now.”

“I’ll make sure to take your entertainment into account next time I plan a lesson then, Mr. Potter.” Professor Keenan stopped and looked around now addressing the whole class. “I had my reasons for choosing a simple spell today. Many wizards and witches have overlooked the merits of the Disarming spell to their detriment. It certainly may not be as flashy as some other magic, but it is one of the most important spells in your arsenal. Disarm your opponent and you’ve effectively neutralized them. As amusing as it may be to see your foe dancing, it will certainly not win you the duel.” Professor Keenan looked hard at James as he said the last sentence.

“It could win it for you, sir. The forced dancing could distract your opponent, making it even easier for you to disarm them,” James shot back.

“Five points off Gryffindor for failing to follow directions. Another five points for speaking out of turn and for not addressing your teacher properly, and I will see you after class, Mr. Potter.”

“Yes, sir,” James muttered. Any Gryffindor that may have been on James’s side was now looking angrily at him for causing the House to be down five points. Sirius felt James had made a good point, but teachers never did take to being told they were wrong. Snape’s pallor was almost back to normal and he looked pleased by the teacher’s reprimand.

“I shall split you and Mr. Black up for the rest of class as well. If you continue to act like children, I shall treat you like children. Ms. Evans, switch places with Mr. Potter.”

Lily had been partnered with Anita Knight, who would now work with James. As if to pound into their heads the importance of the Disarming spells, they spent the rest of class doing it over and over again. At the end they each had a go against Professor Keenan, and James was the only one to cause the teacher’s wand to clatter to the ground. Not far enough from Keenan that he couldn’t dive to retrieve his wand had it been a real duel, but it was a success nothing less.

“Good, Mr. Potter. You just need a little more strength behind the magic and my wand would have sailed straight to you. Five points to Gryffindor,” Keenan stated looking very perplexed that he was rewarding the same boy he had reprehended for foolhardiness less than twenty minutes ago.

The students then returned back to their usual classroom to collect their bags, and Professor Keenan wrote the homework due next lesson on the board. As the class was dismissed, Sirius hung back with James.

“I wish I’d had a chance to jinx Wilkes too before Keenan noticed,” Sirius told James quietly.

James was waiting for Mary McDonald to leave. She had grabbed Keenan’s attention once more and she was asking if he’d been in any dueling clubs when he was in school. Sirius listened with interest as he told her that he indeed had and had won twice in his fifth and seventh year. Sirius followed Mary out of the classroom glancing back at James once more.


James approached Professor Keenan’s desk. He wasn’t nervous about the lecture he was sure to receive. He couldn’t count the number of times he’d been in a similar situation as this. Some teachers tried being loud and harsh with their words to get their point across, while others attempted to sound as they were merely giving out friendly advice about proper behavior. However, this was his first time in front of Professor Keenan alone and he had a feeling Keenan would be very similar to McGonagall. Professor McGonagall was very direct in relaying her disappointment in her students’ actions. She was one of the few teachers who, on occasion, had made James feel guilty.

Professor Keenan had taken a seat, which was an interesting choice, especially when he didn’t offer James one. The Professor rang a hand through is dark hair, in a very similar gesture to the one James habitually did, and clasped his hands neatly upon the desk.

James noticed one of the picture frames on Keenan’s desk was facing him. In the picture were two boys in their late teens. The older one looked like a younger Keenan, while the one with blonde hair, James guessed was his younger brother. The picture had been taken with a Muggle camera because it did not move.

“Mr. Potter, you will serve detention with me tomorrow night,” Professor Keenan began.

James frowned having only expected a lecture, and not detention in addition to the ten points deducted.

“I will not tolerate hexing other students in my classroom.” James went to open his mouth. “And I do not believe that your spell was meant for Mr. Black. Your aim is far too good to make a mistake like that. You do not have to like your classmates, but you will respect them.”

“But, sir, it was amusing-”

“To who? Mr. Snape who was humiliated? To all the other students who were disrupted in their practice because of your childish antics?” James stayed silent, though not quite an apology; it was perhaps the most Professor Keenan was going to receive that morning out of the rebellious youth. “You were also disrespectful towards me and this will be the last time I remind you to address me with ‘sir’ or ‘Professor’. I will refrain this time for assigning you a second detention for that infraction. Do you understand?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I understand that today’s lesson might have been frustratingly slow for you. Instead of jinxing one of your classmates, a more beneficial use of your time would have been aiding those classmates who were struggling.”

“Yes, sir. What time will the detention be?”

“Seven-thirty sharp.”

“Seven-thirty, sir?” James repeated.

“Yes. Is there a problem?”

“Could it possibly begin at eight instead, sir?”

Professor Keenan looked at James as if flame had just spouted out of his mouth. “For what reason?” Keanan asked through clenched teeth.

“I’ve Quidditch practice from seven to eight that night, sir,” James said throwing his teacher a charming smile.

“No. I have a half a mind to change the time to seven! Perhaps missing something you really want to be at will inspire you to behave?”

“Maybe, sir,” James murmured.

“Seven-thirty. If you are late, you’ll have detention for the next week. You may go.”

“Right, sir.”

James grasped the door open firmly. Aidan Gallagher would throw a fit once he heard James would be missing more than half of practice tomorrow.

“What did he say?” Sirius asked immediately.

“He went on and on about respecting all my classmates, including Snivellus.”

Sirius nodded grimly in understanding.

“I’ve got detention too.”

“Well you’re used to detentions,” Peter said. “That’s not so bad.”

“That’s not the worst part! I’m going to miss part of Quidditch practice because of it and he threatened to change the time so I’d miss all of it, when I asked if I could serve it a little later,” James complained.

“That’s really unfair,” Peter agreed.

“I think Professor Keenan has been very fair,” Remus said quietly from the wall he’d been leaning on.

“Oh, you would,” Sirius said.

Ignoring Sirius, Remus said, “Come on, James. You can’t expect a teacher to allow you to hex another student in the classroom without repercussions.”

James made a derisive noise.

“And then you had the nerve to ask him to change your detention time for Quidditch. If it had been Professor McGonagall she’d have changed the time, so that you would have missed all of practice.”

“She wants Gryffindor to win the Quidditch Cup as much as we do,” James insisted. It was true, but McGonagall had never given Quidditch players from her house any leniency on rule breaking.

“He also awarded you five points when you were the only one to disarm him. Some teachers might have been angry enough with you to not give you anything,” Remus finished.

“I still don’t like him,” James said sullenly.

“You don’t have to, but you can’t say Professor Keenan isn’t fair,” Remus persisted.

“Maybe I can persuade Aidan to start practice a half an hour earlier,” James said brightening slightly as the boys wandered off to their next class.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I really would love to hear what you think, so please take a moment to review.
Levicorpus by Lioness06
James was in a foul mood the next morning; Aidan had not been amused by James’s suggestion of starting practice a half hour early.

“Don’t bother coming to practice, Potter. If you can’t stay for the entire time don’t bother coming! Honestly, can’t you ever stay out of trouble? And if you miss practice again for detention, I’ll have you benched for the first game. Understand?” Aidan had retorted.

James, his head bowed in embarrassment, only nodded. Aidan’s words had carried clearly around the Gryffindor common room for everyone to hear just the other night.

Sirius wouldn’t ever side against his best friend, but he could see Aidan’s point. By the time the team warmed up, James would have to head back to the castle anyway. Sirius, Peter, and even Remus who had already expressed he found the detention ‘fair’ had been trying to cheer up James all morning.

The arrival of the post did improve James’s demeanor. His mother had sent a large package of sweets. Peter had received a letter from his mother; while Sirius and Remus looked at each other, both left without mail. While James was rummaging through his sweets, Sirius picked up James’s copy of the Daily Prophet.

The front article immediately alarmed Sirius. Wife of Deceased Daily Prophet Columnist Speaks Out.

Having ignored the news of the outside world for the weekend, Sirius hadn’t been aware there had been another death. A columnist from the Daily Prophet was a big deal and Sirius was surprised there hadn’t been more gossip about it among the student body.

He began reading the article:

Friday night, Mrs. Lynn Boleyn arrived home from visiting her sister to discover a grisly scene. Her husband sprawled dead on the floor “ signs of torture evident- and the Dark Mark, quickly becoming associated with Death Eater activities (Picture on page two) above her two story house. In a red substance- only further testing will determine if it is blood or red paint- Thomas Boleyn had scrawled, ‘Lynn, you were right.’

Mrs. Boleyn did not immediately put any importance in the dying message. Distraught over the death of her husband and worried about the safety of her unborn child, Mrs. Boleyn had more pressing matters on her mind. Days later she realised the message was not a warning for her eyes only, but for the Magical Community at large.

Before his death, Mr. Boleyn had written many critical articles against the so-called Death Eaters; even going as far as calling their movement ‘backwards.’ Though it had not been common knowledge, Mr. Boleyn had been working on a new article about Lord Voldemort, known leader of the Death Eaters. Mr. Boleyn felt it should not escape any ones notice that Lord Voldemort had gone through a lot of trouble to hide his real name and true identity. He also had urged all wizards and witches to inquire about Lord Voldemort’s identity and find out more about his background. Learning more about who this man was, Mr. Boleyn felt, would be the greatest aide in bringing him out of power. In the unpublished article, which Mrs. Boleyn has kindly allowed us to read, Mr. Boleyn even went as far as to mock the man for self-proclaiming himself a lord.

Both Mr. Boleyn’s wife and sister believe he was murdered because of the unpublished article. Aurors investigating the murder would not comment about any leads.

Mr. Boleyn’s sister was quoted saying, “My brother’s death came out because of his blatant disrespect to that man and his followers.”

Mrs. Boleyn had previously spoken to her husband about the danger of mocking such a powerful man. She felt that despite disagreeing with Lord Voldemort, proper respect should be shown. Mr. Boleyn had planned to publish the article by the end of this week.

Mrs. Boleyn spoke to us candidly about her belief that there is a curse linked to Lord Voldemort’s name. “Very bad luck seems to follow those that dare defy You-Know-Who,” Mrs. Boleyn said, blue eyes tearing. Throughout the entire interview Mrs. Boleyh only once referred to Lord Voldemort by his real name, from then on she called him ‘He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’ and ‘You-Know-Who.’ Mrs. Boleyn informed us she was too frightened to speak his real name.

The Daily Prophet Staff after careful deliberation has agreed with Mrs. Boleyn’s views on the matter. For the safety of the staff, after this point on we will no longer print Lord Voldemort’s name. Also in order to protect the rest of our journalists and their families, Mr. Boleyn’s article will not be published. We urge all our readers to be cautious.


“Read this James,” Sirius said pushing it across the table. Remus, sitting next to James, leaned over to read the article as well.

“Complete load of nonsense,” James said throwing the paper to Peter.

“Another death,” Remus said softly. “There’s been so many lately.”

“They just kill off the people who speak the truth like Thomas Boleyn. My father was a big fan of his. He was the only reporter brave enough to say what these Death Eaters and their cause is really about,” James replied.

“And look where it got him,” Peter said grimly.

“What?” James asked sharply.

“He’s dead. Isn’t he?” Peter stammered, his voice an octave bit too high. Peter very rarely voiced an opinion that differed from any of them. “He left his wife to be a widow and an unborn child fatherless, and for what?”

“He stood up for something he believed in!” Sirius stated loudly. Sirius was thinking of his own rebellion against his family. Some might say it was useless and not worth the fight, but to Sirius it was about defending his convictions.

The article portrayed what so many wizards and witches feared. The lines between the two sides, those who sided with Voldemort’s pure-blood elitists and those who were for magical equality, were becoming more defined. If things continued on this path a full out war would be inevitable.

Sirius continued, “The Death Eaters have already won if there is no one willing to stand against him.”

Peter mumbled something Sirius couldn’t quite make out. It sounded along the lines of ‘Not everyone hates their family and doesn’t care if they are killed.’

“Let’s talk of something more cheerful,” Remus said while giving Sirius a meaningful look to stay quiet. Of course Peter wouldn’t have the courage to speak those words clearly to his face. Most importantly, Peter was wrong to classify Sirius’s relationship with his family as just hate, and to describe it as that was oversimplifying it and made Sirius out to be just a spoiled child who disagreed with his family about something silly, like the length of his hair. Sure, Sirius had proclaimed out loud that he hated his family and he even thought it often, but it was not so easy to ignore your blood. He hated them as you might hate a mole on your hand; only complete removal would free you.

“Cheerful like Double Potions?” Sirius asked sarcastically, playing along. He wouldn’t get into an argument with Peter of his feelings toward his family. Sirius would rather not speak of it at all.

“We could make it interesting,” James said.

“Like a prank?” Sirius asked.

“You’ll get caught if you don’t properly plan it,” Remus warned.

“Then we’ll plan it,” Sirius said. “Time for Hogwarts to meet the Marauders.”

As excited as they had been to plan a prank, they didn’t get anywhere with the plans that morning, but more importantly it had broken the tension. Sirius noticed lots of students were speaking about the article in hushed tones. There was a mixed reaction, as expected some students agreed with the Daily Prophet about their ‘better-safe-than-sorry’ attitude in regards to speaking Voldemort’s name, while others viewed it as pure rubbish.

In Potions that day, Professor Slughorn began the class period with a long lecture about the two-day process needed to brew a Warming Potion. He went over each step verbally and pointed out the more uncommon reactions that occurred during the brewing process. Slughorn told them cheerfully that they’d be tested on the theory behind it next week. After Slughorn spoke, he had them carefully copy down the directions from the board as the potion was not listed in their textbook.

Partners had not changed yet, so Sirius was still stuck with Mary and James with Leila. Leila had clearly given up on charming James, and even from a few rows back Sirius could tell she was treating James condescendingly. Leila would view James as a blood-traitor, and with no hope of James convincing Sirius to court her, she had no reason to treat him politely. On the contrary, by treating James rudely she could actually annoy Sirius at the same time.

Mary, on the other hand, was very friendly. She made no mention of Leila nor did she appear to be trying to siphon gossip off him. She was pleasant and acting normal, like she had the previous years around him. Somehow none of this comforted Sirius, but besides a gut instinct, he had no reason to mistrust her.

Since this was the first day of the two-day process, most of class was spent grinding up leaves of different Magical plants with names so long and complicated Sirius was sure whoever had named them had done it to torture future students. The juice they had to collect from the leaves was only an ounce, but it required the mashing of an entire plant. At the end of class everyone’s hands were cramped and hurting from the pounding and grinding. A few students who hadn’t properly protected their hands had patches of bright yellows, oranges and reds on their skin.

At the end of class Leila disappeared, leaving James to clean up. Professor Slughorn who almost always noticed when Sirius or James were up to mischief, missed the fact Leila had not done her share of cleaning. Sirius knew immediately why, Slughorn was too busy fawning over his favorite students.

Feeling guilty that Leila’s treatment of James was partly because of him, Sirius, after tending to his own mess, joined James to give him a hand. As James and Sirius finished up, Professor Slughorn unfortunately toddled over to James’s work area. Slughorn had been speaking to Lily Evans and Snape; most likely heaping the usual praise on Evans. He’d bet a few galleons that Slughorn had commented on Evans’s plant juice being particularly juicy or something along those lines.

“I’m delighted you both are still here,” Slughorn said jovially. “I’m having a small group of students over on Sunday for a start of the term festivity, and I was hoping to see you both there.”

Sirius was desperately thinking of any excuse to get out of the invite. Perhaps he could still manage to get a Sunday detention. Keenan was easily disgruntled by him and it wouldn’t be difficult. While Sirius was racking his brain for an excuse, James had looked over to where Lily Evans was tidying up her belongings, while her friends waited around her. Snape had by then left the classroom.

“We’d love to come, Professor,” James said. Sirius, shocked by his friend’s affirmation to the request, opened his mouth to say something- anything to get James to see sense-when James stepped hard on his toes.

All Sirius could do was pretend his grimace of pain was actually a smile, as Slughorn clapped his hands together. “Excellent! Mr. Black, your brother has already accepted my invitation.”

“I’m overjoyed,” Sirius replied, gritting his teeth from the pain emanating from his sore foot. The professor beamed at them. Slughorn was always trying to entice them to attend, and neither of them had been to a party of his since second year.

Sirius turned to James waiting for a long and elaborate explanation about why he’d agreed they’d go to an event that would be insufferably boring.

“Not here,” James said, not looking Sirius in the eyes, as he wiped the bench with a damp sponge.

Without so much as a hello to Peter or Remus, who as usual had been waiting outside for them, Sirius rounded on James. “Why’d you say yes? Those parties are horrible and boring and you’ve never wanted to go before.”

James looking increasingly uncomfortable turned slightly red as he said, “I thought it would be a good place to chat up some girls.”

“Chat up girls?” Sirius asked bewildered. “Rich and snobby girls like Leila, you mean?”

“Those aren’t the only girls invited,” James answered.

Sirius stared at James for a moment, very surprised that this was the direction the conversation was going. “So there’s a specific girl then? Out with it then, who is she?”

James mumbled a name.

“Didn’t quite catch that, mate?”

“Lily Evans,” James said more clearly, but his voice was still barely above a whisper.

“Evans? Friends with Snivellus, Evans? You fancy her?” Sirius voiced.

James didn’t need to answer; his face said it all. “So what if I do?” James defended. “Even you must have noticed how pretty she got over the summer?”

Sirius regarded James pensively for a few moments. Lily Evans with her vibrant red hair and green eyes was certainly a girl you did not forget. And she had ‘grown-up’ over the summer, though she was not the sort of girl that interested Sirius. “I suppose so,” Sirius admitted.

“She’s not seeing anyone. Is she Remus?” James asked.

It was Remus’s turn to look uncomfortable. “How should I know?”

“Now that you’re prefects together, aren’t you friends?”

“I don’t know. Our company is more forced upon each other than anything.”

“Are you going to ask her out?” Peter said.”

“We’ll see how the Slug Club Party goes,” James replied, straightening up, the confidence he’d lost slightly from confessing that a girl had captured his eye was restored.




Sirius flopped himself onto his bed in the boys dorm. It was strange for Sirius to find himself alone. Between sharing a room with five people (three of them his closest friends) and spending lots of times in the socially active common room, there was always someone about. Though, tonight James was serving his detention with Professor Keenan. Terry Keeler was also in detention with McGonagall and Derek Newbell was spending the evening with his girlfriend, Jamie Morgan. Remus was busy escorting Peter to the Hospital Wing and then stopping in the library.

It didn’t matter since Sirius had his own plans for the night. Taking out a fresh parchment, quill and the two- way mirror on the off-chance Professor Keenan left James unsupervised during detention, Sirius settled himself to pen a letter to his cousin Andromeda. Technically, if one were to go by the official Black Family tree, Andromeda was no longer a part of the family. She’d been blasted off the tree after marrying Muggle-born Ted Tonks. Though Andromeda was several years older than Sirius and they’d never (mainly because of the age gap) had been exceptionally close, he still considered her his favorite cousin. His respect for her had jumped tenfold when he had learned that she had gotten away from the clutches of the oppressive Black family and was living happily without their well wishes or support. The family had been very shaken by Andromeda’s abrupt desertion of the family. Andromeda had shown no signs of rebellion (unlike Sirius). She’d been sorted into Slytherin - even excelled in Slytherin. She’d always been agreeable and obedient, and never showed a particular affection for Muggles. Yet Andromeda had fallen in love with a boy the family would never approve of and that was that.

Sirius’s contact with Andromeda was now limited to the letters owled back and forth during the school year. He knew his parents suspected he had contact with her, but they could do little to stop it. Now three weeks into the school year, she hadn’t written him yet. Sirius was surprised by his disappointment in her lack of contact. He’d always prided himself in not needing any family. He was even more surprised in himself for he planned to ask Andromeda for advice in the letter. Sirius didn’t often to go others for help with his problems, preferring to deal with it on his own like most teenagers. And Andromeda was technically an adult (with her own child), which made her even less likely the person he’d turn to.

It really came down to the fact that he was feeling more acutely than ever the pressure of family obligation and she was the only person in Sirius’s mind who could relate. When it came to his friends’ parents, Sirius would have gladly adopted any set. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were loving and kind, and next to perhaps murder, James could do no wrong in their eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Lupin were very careful with Remus when it came to their expectations. Believing it was a miracle Remus had achieved more of a normal life at Hogwarts than they had ever hoped for, they didn’t put any pressure on him in the academics or socially. However, Remus put pressure on himself in the studies department. Mrs. Pettigrew (Mr. Pettigrew, having ‘run-off,’ was no longer in the picture) was a very doting mother, though more with foods, clothes, and comfort than Peter’s schoolwork.

On the other hand, Sirius’s parents expected perfection in all facets of his life. So even when Sirius achieved perfect marks, he was just saved from being lectured. It took going above and beyond perfection to receive any sort of compliment.

Immersed in his letter, Sirius did not hear Remus enter, and jumped a foot when Remus took a seat on his bed.

“Merlin!”

“Sorry. Who are you writing?”

“Andromeda.”

“Ah. The one sane member of your family.”

Sirius smiled half-heartedly. “How’s Peter?”

“Very peaky. The nurse is keeping him there overnight. She thinks it might be the flu and doesn’t want to take the chance of it spreading to all of Gryffindor house.”

“You’re back early. Weren’t you going to stop in the library?” Sirius asked.

“I did stop in and I found what I was looking for quickly. Want to see the neat spell I discovered?”

Sirius sat up eagerly. Remus took the feathered quill Sirius had been writing with. Holding it out in front, Remus waved his wand in three large swirls and murmured a strange word. Sirius eyed the quill skeptically for it hadn’t changed in shape or color.

“Now touch it,” Remus urged.

Sirius shrugged, but did as instructed. Suddenly he was surrounded by ten identical quills. Remus went to touch one of the ten (Sirius couldn’t tell if it was the original one) and now twenty more appeared.

“Wicked,” Sirius said grabbing a hold of another one to find an additional forty quills covering the bed.

“And it will keep doubling until you say the counter-curse,” Remus explained and swished his wand so that all but the original feather was left. “There’s a lot of tweaking you can do with the spell. You can change the amount it will double or how long the effect will last. You can set it so that a code word sets it off instead of a touch “ though that magic is a bit complicated.”

“Does it only work on feathers?”

“No, practically anything.”

Sirius looked at Remus an idea for a prank half-formed in his head already. And in the way Remus looked back, Sirius had the feeling Remus had intended the use of the spell for that very reason. It was on the tip of his tongue to make a crack about Remus going against his prefect obligation, but eager to be allowed to use the spell, he held it in.

“We’ll put it to good use then?” Sirius asked slyly.

“Responsibly,” Remus cut in.

Sirius rolled his eyes, turning his attention back to the letter. He glanced at the empty mirror, wishing James would show so prank discussion could begin properly. Though with Peter in the Hospital Wing, knowing James, he’d make them wait until Peter returned.

Terry returned from his detention and the three of them talked a few moments about mundane things. Terry excused himself to shower and Remus went to sit on his own bed and opened up one of his books on magical creatures; a book that probably did not have a very accurate description about werewolves. Remus had once explained to them that he felt it necessary to educate himself about all the misconceptions floating around about werewolves and use that knowledge to combat it.

Terry, after his shower, went downstairs to the common room which suited Sirius. There was only so much small talk they could do with their two additional roommates before the conversation turned awkward. As Sirius was signing off his letter, the door opened once more and James tromped in. Remus placed his book down and Sirius folded his letter quickly, slipping it into his satchel on the floor.

“How was it?” Sirius asked attentively.

“Horrible,” James answered falling back on his bed. “He obviously enjoys torturing his students.”

“Torturing?” Remus questioned. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t mean physical torture, obviously. Mental torture.”

“Did he have you do lines?” Sirius pondered.

“No. Keenan told me the Headmaster wants to start cleaning up a lot of the unused classrooms and has asked all teachers to use detention as an excuse to enslave the student body for that task,” James informed them. “I don’t know why Professor Dumbledore doesn’t just use house-elves to accomplish it. Anyway, Keenan, of course, picks a classroom with extra large and long windows, with a perfect “ perfect “ view of the Quidditch pitch. He has me wash all the windows, so even if I wanted to ignore the pitch, the work is forcing me to stare straight at it.”

Remus, smiling slightly at James’s dramatics, said, “You think Professor Keenan picked the room purposely?”

“Yes,” James said sitting up. “Out of all the rooms-”

“Or it’s just bad luck on your part,” Sirius interjected and he shared a grin with Remus.

“Oh, shut it. It wasn’t bad luck or a coincidence,” James reaffirmed and he glanced around the room. “Where’s Peter?”

Sirius and Remus explained to James briefly how Peter had fallen ill and that the nurse was keeping him there overnight.

Before James could begin complaining again, Remus remarked, “Does Peter seem a little down to you?” His tone had a forced casualness, so Sirius suspected Remus had been waiting for the right moment to bring it up.

“Why do you think that?” James asked in puzzlement.

“I think he may be a little self-conscious about his animal form,” Remus said.

“Because he’s a rat?” Sirius said.

Now picking his words very carefully, Remus explained, “He said something to me “ I guess he heard you two joking a little about it “ an unfavorable comment about rats; you know how your approval means a lot to him.”

“Honestly I don’t remember what we said,” James said thoughtfully. “Do you Sirius?”

“It’s possible. Who really likes rats? Just take a look at his tail. It looks just like a worm!”

“There you go, then,” Remus said looking at them as if they were very dimwitted.

“You mean something like that?” James asked.

“Yes. Peter is very sensitive.”

“What do you want us to do?” James asked.

“Throw a rat appreciation party in the common room?” Sirius proposed jokingly.

“That could be fun,” James agreed.

Remus sighed with a shake of his head. “Just be more aware.”

“He’s got to learn to be less sensitive,” James muttered.

“The real world will eat him alive,” Sirius predicted.

“We’re his friends. Anyway, I’ve been thinking of how his small form may be very useful.”

Sirius and James looked at Remus in interest waiting for him to elaborate.

“I’ve noticed smaller animals can easily scurry past the branches of the Whomping Willow without a problem “ and even though using a stick to prod the knot works, there’s always a danger of one of us getting hurt. Peter in his rat form could freeze the tree for us. Not only will it be safer, but also less noticeable.”

“Fair idea,” James conceded.

Sirius nodded, thinking it unnecessary of Remus to think of a way to make Peter feel better, but Sirius wouldn’t miss having to risk bodily harm just to get into the tunnel leading to the Shrieking Shack.

“We’ll tell him tomorrow then,” Remus stated and the three boys continued talking until it was time to prepare for bed.




Leila wasted no time in finding the Love Potion she wanted Severus to concoct. In the middle of the week, she had demanded his presence through a note delivered by a trembling first year. They’d met in the classroom they had used for the first dueling lesson. A little too close to Professor Keenan’s office in Severus’s opinion, but who was he to argue. Leila was the one calling the shots and they had been able to finish business without being caught. She had shown him a thin book with only seven potions inside. The book had a new appearance, but by the wording and font type Snape could tell it had been written long ago.

Now Severus had limited knowledge about Love Potions, but from what he did know, the one Leila had picked was based on magical properties that he was not familiar with. Leila had informed him that unlike a lot of the more popular Love Potions this one would mimic the real effects of falling in love, whilst the others created merely infatuation. Generally the infatuation was so sudden and intense that those close to the person would figure out a Love Potion was the cause of the strange behavior. Leila was probably right to worry with Black always around Potter and the other two never far behind, one of them would be bound to notice such a change.

The potion was difficult, Severus could tell just by the first glance, but not impossible. The ingredients did befuddle him; they were rare and he was slightly worried about mixing some of them together. If Severus wasn’t mistaken, and he wasn’t mistaken often when it came to potions, some of the ingredients were highly regulated, and even illegal. Leila told him she had already procured all the ingredients and he was not to worry about anything ‘blowing up’ as long as he followed the instructions.

After Leila was assured that Severus could brew her Love Potion, she immediately went into gear to fulfill her side of the bargain. Leila had no trouble finding Slytherins willing to back him up for an ambush. There was Travers, Mulciber, and Rosier from his year; Wilkes, Henley, and Jenson from sixth year; and Bennet, Lestrange, and Collie from seventh year.

Snape had chosen a Friday afternoon for the attack. After years of keeping an eye on Potter and Black, he knew on a Friday afternoon, as long as the weather wasn’t too frigid or rainy, the boys would go for a jaunt outside. To his amazement, because plans rarely worked in his favor, that afternoon turned out to be the perfect setup. The weather was not sunny or warm enough to attract loads of students outside, which would have increased the likelihood of the ambush being witnessed, but dry enough to entice the particular quartet that Severus had picked as his target.

The other nine Slytherins had gone on ahead to hide among the trees and rocks in the area that Severus knew the four boys generally hung out in. Humans were creatures of habit and to Snape’s relief Potter, Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew headed straight to the same spot they always went to.

Severus crept behind them, having cast a Silencing Charm on himself. Pettigrew was matching the stride of Potter with Lupin slightly behind them, and Black brought up the rear, looking pensive. Since Black was trailing behind the group, Snape decided that he would be his focal target. It did not escape Severus’s notice that Pettigrew was gesturing excitedly toward the Whomping Willow. Though their voices were too low to hear, Severus could not help wondering why they were interested in such a dangerous magical plant, and he stored away the information for later.

Snape took deep breath before shouting, “How does it feel to be bested by your little brother, Black?”

The words had an instantaneous effect. Black whipped around and the other three stopped in their tracks, turning toward Snape too. It wasn’t hard to rile Black; sometimes it was actually so easy that it was disappointing.

“You’ll be the first to know when it happens,” Sirius replied, annoyed, though not on guard. After all, Black had no way of knowing how outnumbered he would soon be. He only saw the one Slytherin in front of him “ a Slytherin without his wand out- and knowing he had three friends watching his back, there would be little cause for worry.

“Hasn’t he? I don’t see you on the Quidditch team and he is. I told Reggie how proud his big brother must be.” Snape didn’t know what possessed him to shorten Regulus’s name, as Reggie sounded like some ridiculous nickname that some teenage girl might find endearing.

Sirius clenched his hands and spat out, “I’m not the one who tried out for the team in our second year and didn’t make it, Snivellus.”

Severus felt his own temper begin to flair. He wasn’t sure what irked him more, the loathsome nickname or the reminder of the humiliating experience of believing he possessed enough athleticism to be a Quidditch player. His twelve-year old self had hoped being a Quidditch star would impress Lily. Quidditch players in Hogwarts were held above the rest of the student body and Snape had always craved such status “ but it had been a ludicrous idea on his part to hope to achieve it through sports.

“And why is that? Afraid of failure? Or maybe of flying?” questioned Severus.

Severus could see Lupin furrowing his brow. It must have looked to the prefect that Snape was foolishly fishing for a fight that he’d surely lose.

Little did Lupin know-

“Now!” Snape yelled. Bursts of light descended upon the Gryffindors from all directions. Lupin was hit first and he fell down clutching at his neck like he was choking. Pettigrew was next and he staggered down cradling his arm. Black was hit by a series of Slashing Hexes, mostly from Severus and Lestrange, who was hidden closest to where Sirius stood. Black’s left area of his robe- from the top of his shoulder to below his knee “ had been ripped by the hexes and red gashes showed where the magic had lacerated his skin. Potter had ducked and as he stood up, Severus could see he had emerged from the first onslaught miraculously unharmed.

In a proper duel both Black and Potter would have probably beat Snape. Though Severus had a broader knowledge of spells than either boy, especially those considered dark, his natural instinct, stamina, and reflexes were not up to par. In this situation, he would easily have the upper hand.

Black then made the mistake of turning slightly back to check on his friends. The gesture might have been noble on paper, but in the end foolish for in four long strides Severus had his wand jabbed into Black’s back.

“Turn around, Black,” Snape hissed. As Sirius turned around slowly, Severus could see he had taken his wand out, but it was as useless as any piece of wood found on the forest floor. Snape moved his wand up deftly so that it now rested lightly at Black’s throat. Severus smirked as Black’s breathing quickened. He knew from various readings that the throat was a very sensitive part of the body and even a light pressure could make the victim feel breathless.

Snape felt in his element, he craved power such as this, to have his enemies cowering before him. Though Black was far from cowering, he certainly looked apprehensive and that was enough for now. Severus looked up as the other nine Slytherins emerged from their hiding spots circling Potter, Lupin, and Pettigrew. Lupin was now standing, though Pettigrew stayed fixed to the ground. Lupin and Potter quickly adopted defense stances.

Rabastan Lestrange, a large and brutish boy, strode up behind Black. Without pretense, Lestrange twisted Black’s left arm, which was already bleeding from the Slashing Hexes, painfully behind; hard enough to cause Black to cry out softly and drop his wand. Potter and Lupin moved forward instinctively, but there was not much they could do for the moment.

“Drop your wands,” Lestrange bellowed at Potter and Black, as his wand caressed Black’s cheek, “and I won’t do any permanent damage to pretty boy-”

No one expected Lupin to send the next spell flying and it headed near enough to Lestrange to startle him enough to loosen his hold on Black. As if the Gryffindors had somehow communicated silently, Black instantly ducked out of Lestrange’s grip and turned, punching Lestrange straight in the face. The two began to tussle “ Muggle style. Severus watched it interestedly as the two rolled around in the grass trying to injure the other. On one hand Lestrange had strength and brute, while Black had agility and instinct.

That’s when chaos erupted. Spells began flying everywhere “ though only about twenty percent of them hit their mark. Above the din, his eyes still focused on Black and Lestrange, he heard Travers as he loudly cried, “Levicorpus!”

It hit Pettigrew and the small boy was strung up by his ankles, his arms and legs flailing about. Snape smirked; it was great thing to see a spell you invented put into such good use. Potter, his robes singed and his hair messier than a bird’s nest having just dodged two spells, locked his eyes with Snape.

“Levicorpus!”

That’s when things began to go wrong.

Snape froze. The pride he felt at seeing Travers use his spell was quickly doused. Hearing his spell - his spell- come out of Potter’s mouth, felt as if a bucket of water had been dumped on his head. His surprise quickly turned to anger, as his world turned upside down. It was the first time Severus had felt the effects of his invented spell, and he felt his face turn red as the blood rushed down to his head and he waved his arms about helplessly as the cool fall air kissed his bare legs.

“Nifty spell there. Thanks, Travers,” Potter called arrogantly.

Lestrange had been too busy with Black to notice what had transpired. After finally pinning Black to the ground on his stomach, Lestrange glanced around in surprise at the mess around him. Lestrange was putting his full weight into Black’s injured side, and even hung upside down, Severus could see Black was in pain.

Before Snape had a chance to wonder how he’d get down, it started down pouring. Snape had been so intent on the ambush’s success; he had failed to notice the clouds rolling in or the darkening sky.

“Let’s get out of here!” someone yelled, and that was all it took.

Stupid Slytherins and their need to save their own skins.

Noticing the retreat of their assailants, Lupin was able to get Pettigrew down. Snape had no true friends among the Slytherins and quite a few passed on their way back to the castle without helping him down.

“Get me down from here, Lestrange!” Snape ordered through gritted teeth. Lestrange looked forlornly at his prey. Black was still struggling to get free beneath him. As Lestrange stood up, Black rolled on his back with a groan and Lestrange hit Sirius once more in the gut, with enough force that Snape winced along with Black. “We’ll finish this later blood traitor!”

Finite Incantatem!” spoke Lestrange and Severus fell ungraciously to the ground. Lestrange didn’t give him a hand to help him up, which was fine since Snape would have brushed it off anyway.

They jogged up the hill toward the castle and Severus couldn’t help turning around for one last look at the Gryffindors. He wasn’t worried about retaliation at that moment: Gryffindors wouldn’t hex someone retreating or with their backs turned.

Predictably, Potter was already by Black’s side and was helping Sirius stand up. They certainly look worse for wear. From afar, Black’s injuries were the most prominent with the left side of his robes in tatters, swollen lip and bruised cheek.

“Are you coming?” Lestrange called. “We got them good enough. No sense getting wet.”

Severus nodded, though something was preventing him from truly enjoying his success. He knew it was stupid, but Potter using his spell “ Potter knowing his spell “ was absolutely infuriating. Severus wished for a Time Turner, so he could prevent himself from ever showing off the spell to his roommates. He’d meant to impress them, and he had, but that had been short lived and now Potter knew of it. Getting angry at his roommates though would do him no favor, so Snape tunneled it toward Potter and Black.

With a renewed energy, Severus headed to his room; he would brew that Love Potion for Leila as soon as possible.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Please give me some feedback.
Brothers by Lioness06
Gasping for breath, trying to fill his lungs with air, Sirius felt the wet, cold ground seep into the back of his robes. The pain from the last kick by Lestrange was severe and Sirius did not register Lestrange, Snape, and other Slytherins fleeing from the scene. He closed his eyes, willing the pain to dull, but the left side of his body still felt as it was on fire. Sirius opened his eyes and was surprised to find James kneeling beside him. James swiped his sodden bangs out of his face, squinting through his rain, streaked glasses.

“Let me help you up,” James said offering his hand. Despite the fact it was still raining and the muddy ground he lay on was getting colder by the second, Sirius found the damp smell of the grass around him comforting and he was content to stay exactly where he was.

“Remus, come help me get up Sirius up. We need to get him out of the rain.”

Before Sirius knew it, with their combined effort, James and Remus had hauled Sirius to his feet.

“I can walk,” Sirius said immediately, brushing aside his friends’ aide, despite the fact the world was still spinning, and he staggered as he took the first few steps.

Though still slightly dizzy, Sirius trudged ahead to the castle, intent on making it there without any help. James walked silently beside him the entire way. Sirius had a feeling that James expected him to collapse at any moment. It took all of Sirius’s remaining energy to make it to the first alcove inside the castle. He leaned his aching body on the first wall he spotted. He closed his eyes to control his breathing. He’d broken out into a sweat, though it was not noticeable as it had intermingled with the rain drops.

“Sirius “ are “ you-“

“I just need a moment,” Sirius cut in before James could finish his question. Opening his eyes, it was only then Sirius noticed Peter was clutching his arm and his color as pale as Remus a few hours before his werewolf transformation.

“What’s wrong with Peter?” Sirius asked deflecting their concern onto their other friend. He also began to cautiously peel his tattered cloak off; the wet cloth felt heavy and suffocating.

“Sprained wrist, I believe,” Remus answered. “You both need to get to the Hospital Wing quickly.”

“It looks worse than it is,” Sirius lied.

“I’ll get Madam Pomfrey to come here if you can’t make it all the way,” James offered.

“No, I can,” Sirius said. “Only what are we going to tell her?”

James and Remus shared a puzzled look.

Sirius elaborated. “Peter’s wrist we might be able to explain as an accident, but not my injuries-”

“That’s what you’re worried about?” Remus asked in exasperation. “You look like you can’t take another two steps without collapsing.”

“We can handle this better on our own without teacher intervention,” Sirius implored, ignoring Remus, who sighed and shook his head.

“Let’s worry about that later,” James said. “If you don’t lose consciousness on us, Peter just might.”

Peter did indeed look as if he was suffering, so Sirius pushed off the wall he was leaning on to help propel himself forward.

They reached the Hospital Wing just in time. If the Hospital Wing had been a step further, Sirius believed he would have collapsed as his friends had feared.

Madam Pomprey was all a flutter the moment they entered.

“Lay down, Mr. Black,” she commanded. Sirius gladly followed her order.

“Mr. Pettigrew, have a seat beside Mr. Lestrange.”

Sirius picked his head up slightly to see Peter shrink back from where Lestrange sat. Lestrange was holding a compress to his face where Sirius had punched him, and was now glaring at the four Gryffindors.

“Any injuries, Mr. Potter?”

“No, but…”

“Mr. Lupin?”

“No.”

“Out you two go then.”

“But-” James began again.

“Come back in two hours to visit if Mr. Black and Mr. Pettigrew haven’t returned by then.”

Sirius could hear James muttering some more and then a sudden silence as the door shut behind James and Sirius. Madam Pomprey began working on Sirius immediately. He was stripped to his undergarments, and she began dabbing each laceration with a garment soaked in a smoking liquid.

“What spell hit you, Mr. Black?”

“I don’t know,” Sirius said back truthfully. Probably the only truthful thing he’d say about the incident.

“There’s a touch of Dark magic in this spell. I believe that is why the cuts aren’t healing at all by themselves.

Then she put a pumice of strange herbs on the larger of the two gashes; one which was near his elbow and the other in the middle of his thigh.

“Lay still and I’ll be back in a few moments.”

Sirius could hear the nurse speaking with Peter. Madam Pomprey returned with two large spoons of green sap, which she told him would boost his immune system. As great as magic was to heal things, she believed nothing worked better than your own bodies healing. It would also make him very drowsy for an hour or so until the effects wore off. As awful as the green mixture looked it was tasteless and went down as easily as a cup of water. The drowsy side effect was immediate. The room appeared to darken and Sirius already exhausted from the day’s trauma and pain, had no strength to even begin to fight the sleep.




Sirius opened his eyes, feeling disoriented. He wasn’t sure how long he’d been out. He found the right side of his body had been bandaged.

“Awake, Mr. Black?”

“Yes. Can I go now?” Even though he hadn’t been in the Hospital Wing for an insufferably long time, he was ready to leave.

“I suppose,” Madam Pomprey said. “You have to keep those bandages on until morning. Do not remove them yourself. Come to see me before breakfast tomorrow morning. The bruise on your cheek will have to heal on its own.”

Sirius nodded, and carefully extracted himself out of the bed. He was surprised how weak he still felt as he stood up, but he wasn’t about to tell the nurse.

“I almost forgot-”

Sirius froze halfway to the door.

“-You’ll need to go straight to Professor McGonagall’s office.”

“For what?” Sirius asked innocently.

“I was not born yesterday, Mr. Black. Those are serious injuries you received, and they’ll have to be reported to your Head of House.”

Out in the corridor, Sirius began fretting. What was he supposed to tell McGonagall? Had Peter, James, or Remus already spoken to her? What had they said? He could tell the truth, but there was no guarantee that his friends had gone with the truth, and a huge variation in their stories would arose suspicion.

He immediately checked his pockets carefully for the two-way mirror, even though he knew it was not there. When he’d left the dormitory earlier that day, Sirius hadn’t expected to be separated from James and had seen no sense in dragging the mirror along. It wasn’t that it was heavy, but it could be cumbersome and the charm to lighten its weight had long worn off, and Sirius hadn’t bothered to look up how to re-charm it.

Sirius dawdled as long as he could in the hallways as he made his way from the Hospital Wing to McGonagall’s office. He knocked softly on the door hoping that McGonagall would be so engrossed in whatever she was doing in there that she would not hear, and he could be on his way.

“Come in.”

Pushing the door open, Sirius entered the room. His eyes widened in surprise; his three friends were standing side by side in front of McGonagall.

“Madam Pomprey alerted me that you were on your way, Mr. Black, so I sent someone to fetch the rest of your group.”

James smiled at him. Remus threw him a worried look. Peter had his gaze fixed on the floor.

“We’ve been waiting for the past seven minutes for your arrival.”

Sirius mumbled an apology. McGonagall had to have known that he had ‘taken-his-time’ to arrive.

“Now then, there was an altercation that resulted in injuries on both Mr. Black and Mr. Pettigrew. Please explain to me what happened.”

The four boys remained silent. Sirius found it peculiar that McGonagall had decided on speaking to them all together. Usually the teachers questioned them separately, and then compared their answers in hopes of gleaning some sort of truth. Maybe the truth would be the best bet for them, even if it meant revenge against Snape and the Slytherins would have to be done in a sneaker, less obvious way.

Sirius cleared his throat, readying himself to speak.

“We were attacked,” Peter blurted. “Only we couldn’t identify them. Sirius and James don’t want word to get out since they are a bit embarrassed that they were caught unaware. They don’t want people thinking their dueling skills aren’t up to par, but I told them not to worry. It wasn’t a fair fight. We were, after all, ambushed.”

Sirius, Remus, and James all looked at Peter in various degrees of surprise, not only for being the first to speak up, but for coming up with a fib.

“Why couldn’t you identify them?” McGonagall was also caught off guard by Peter’s answer, so she did not notice Sirius, James, and Peter’s reaction.

“Their faces were hidden by the hoods of their robes. Umm…they wore Hogwarts robes, so we know they were students. They were hidden right at the edge of the Forbidden Forest.”

“And during the attack, during the scuffle, not one of their hoods fell down to reveal their faces?”

“No,” Peter said. “It is strange, isn’t it? They must have used some sort of Sticking Charm so that wouldn’t happen.”

“Hmm…do the rest of you have anything to add?”

“No,” Sirius, James, and Remus said in unison.

McGonagall surveyed them. Sirius could tell she wasn’t sure what to make of the story. It was widely known that Peter wasn’t a very good liar, especially under the scrutiny of a teacher, but her gut was telling her that she wasn’t getting the full story.

“I’ll make a report of it, but unless you can identify anyone, there is not much I can do. And since you do not know who your attackers are, I should not find half of Slytherin house sporting pink hair or covered in tree sap tomorrow.”

“Of course not, Professor,” James said suppressing a grin.

“Good. Off you go then.”

The boys left the office, and stayed quiet until they were far away enough not to be worried about being overheard.

“Peter, way to think on your feet!” James exclaimed patting Peter on the back. Peter beamed at the compliment.

“Since when can you lie?” Sirius asked abruptly. He wasn’t sure why, but he was bothered my Peter’s change of role in their group, even if it had only been for a moment. Peter always expected one of them (Sirius, James or Remus) to bail them out of trouble.

“I’ve had some practice over the summer. My Mum wouldn’t let me go anywhere, so I had to learn to be a bit deceiving,” Peter stated.

“Your plan didn’t go exactly as planned though, Sirius,” Remus said.

“What are you talking about?”

“You didn’t want us to tell the truth because then we can’t enact revenge on the Slytherins. I don’t think McGonagall completely bought our story, and if anything happens to the Slytherins, she’ll know it was us.”

“Remus, Remus,” Sirius said shaking his head. “McGonagall only mentioned about nothing happening to the Slytherins tomorrow. She didn’t say anything about the next day or the day after that.”

“He has a point, Remus,” James chimed in with a laugh.

“Fine. Engage in your revengeful thoughts,” Remus replied.

“Thank you for your permission, Prefect,” Sirius said formally.

“Don’t remind him of his prefect duties!” James cried out, and the four boys burst into loud laughter as they continued on to the Gryffindor Tower.




Despite thinking revengeful thoughts, Sirius and James found they had no time to actually put any plan into action that week. Walking back from dinner later that week, Sirius noticed a boy with black hair a few strides ahead of them hurriedly picking up a folder he’d dropped. As the boy straightened up making sure to tuck away the newspaper clippings back into the folder that were sticking out, Sirius found himself face to face with his brother.

Instead of walking away or pretending he didn’t recognise Sirius “ all things Regulus usually did when they encountered each other “ Regulus was watching him.

“Go on ahead without me,” Sirius mumbled to his friends.

“Are you sure?” James asked looking at Regulus distrustfully.

“I’ll be along in a moment,” Sirius replied. He wasn’t eager to speak to his brother, but he walked up towards Regulus as if he had no care in the world.

“What do you have there?” Sirius motioned to the folder.

“Nothing,” Regulus said a bit too quickly. “Interesting look you are going for with that bruised cheek.”

“And I’m sure you have no idea who did this,” Sirius said sarcastically. There was no doubt in his mind that the Slytherins had bragged about the attack in their common room.

“I know how you like to get into fights.”

“Fight? This was an ambush.”

“The official story is you didn’t see your attackers.”

“That’s correct. How’s Lestrange’s nose? I heard a fifth year did that too him.”

“I don’t think you want to start comparing injuries.”

“Only because it wasn’t a fair fight.”

“Things always have to be fair with you Gryffindors.”

“And Slytherins can never win, unless things aren’t fair.”

“Everyone is waiting for your retaliation.”

Sirius snorted. “You think I’m going to tell you when and where?”

“I think it is all pointless.”

Sirius regarded this brother’s words for a moment. Strangely, Regulus rarely involved himself in Slytherin House versus Gryffindor House feuds. Sirius had yet to figure out the reason, since Regulus held Gryffindors generally in disdain.

“Was your plan to try to talk me out of retaliation?”

“I know that wouldn’t work. Though, why retaliation? Why not just tell the teachers who attacked you?”

“They’d get thrown into detention, and then what?”

“For some people detention isn’t something to strive for.”

“My way is more satisfying.”

“I see.”

“I suppose you’d rather wait to fight it out on the Quidditch pitch?”

“So you’ve heard?”

“Who Slytherin’s new Seeker is? Of course, I heard! Did you forget that James is my best mate?”

“That is something I can only dream of forgetting.”

“Ah! Mr. Black!” Professor Keenan was walking toward them smiling like a Cheshire cat. “And Mr. Black!”

“Good evening, sir,” Regulus stated.

“Interrupting anything?”

“No, sir. We’re finished,” Regulus said. His answer confused Sirius. He hadn’t been sure where the conversation was heading, and now he would never know. The Black brothers certainly never spoke to just speak.

“Excellent. I wish to speak with Sirius.”

“He’s all yours. Have a good night, sir,” Regulus said and he walked briskly away without saying another syllable to Sirius.

Sirius sighed. He couldn’t think of a reason for Professor Keenan to single him out. He’d completed all his class work and homework for the week. He’d even been relatively well-behaved in class the last few days.

“Let’s go to my classroom. Right this way, Mr. Black.”

Sirius followed Keenan to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Other students watched curiously as they walked through the hallways, and many called greetings to Professor Keenan.

Inside the room, Keenan began, “I have “ had “ a brother. He was younger than me too.” Keenan picked up the picture from his desk and handed it over to Sirius.

“He looks nothing like you,” Sirius observed. The younger man in the picture was blonder and paler, than his dark-haired, tanner older brother.

“Something he was quite proud of,” Keenan revealed. “He didn’t look anything like my mother or father. He took after my mother’s side. All her brothers were blonde. Strange how that works, eh.”

Sirius nodded, noting in the back of his mind that the picture had been taken by a Muggle camera.

“I always wished we’d been closer as brothers,” Keenan said taking back the photograph and looking at it with a closed expression.

“Am I in trouble for something, sir?” Sirius asked. He’d never been the type of student to speak candidly with a teacher or about personal things, and he wasn’t about to start with Keenan.

“No.”

“Then why am I here?”

“I’d like us to talk.”

“Is that part of your list of teaching duties, sir?”

Ignoring Sirius’s out right rudeness, Keenan continued, “If you recall that first day I had you write a little about yourself?”

“I recall, sir.”

“You never did answer that satisfactorily.”

“Then put me in detention.”

“That would accomplish nothing, Mr. Black.”

Except you leaving me alone, thought Sirius.

“We have a lot in common.”

“I’ve never heard of the surname Keenan. And trust me, sir, my mother made sure I knew all the families worth knowing. Judging by your stagnant photograph, your family is Muggle.”

“Correct. I was the only wizard in my family. Though there was a Great Uncle on my father’s side who the family stopped speaking to, who we believe may have been magical. Just because I am not part of the wizard elite doesn’t mean I can’t understand what you are going through or relate. My family is well-known among Muggles. My family is both wealthy and powerful“ my name was listed to attend Eton before I got me letter-”

“Yet you became a teacher.”

Keenan smiled, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. There was a sudden banging on the classroom door and a Hufflepuff Prefect burst in. “Sir! There’s a fight in the hallway! They’re going mad!”

“I’ll be right along.” Professor Keenan glanced wryly at Sirius. “A decision I may regret after this year though. You’re dismissed for now.

Keenan’s last words ‘for now’ echoed in Sirius’s head. What on earth did Keenan want from him? Even if they had similarities, which Sirius seriously doubted, why did it matter and why would Keenan even care?

With his thoughts banging around in his head, Sirius almost walked right past the Portrait of the Fat Lady. James was sitting at one of the round tables yawning as Sirius entered.

“That was a long chat with your brother,” James started.

“I got wrangled into a talk with Keenan.”

“In trouble for something?”

“That’s what I thought “ but he just wanted to talk.”

“That’s odd.”

“I know.”

“Do you think your mother asked him to speak to you?”

The idea had crossed Sirius’s mind, but there had been genuineness behind Keenan’s words; his mother had not been behind this.

“No. He thinks we have things in common.”

“He wants to be chums with you? Does he not have any friends his own age?”

“He showed me a picture of his brother.”

“The one on his desk?”

“He showed it to you too?”

“No, I just noticed it. Maybe his brother is like Regulus.”

“I doubt it. Keenan appears to like Regulus.”

“It’s a mystery then.”

“That it is.”


End Notes:
I hoped you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think with a review!
Lily’s Affections by Lioness06
Sirius tapped his foot impatiently, glaring at the two empty seats across the round table that should have contained his two friends, James and Peter. Remus sat besides him, swirling around a pile of feathers with his wand.

“I knew I should have gone to the kitchens instead of Peter,” Sirius said breaking the silence. “I bet he got lost.”

“Peter’s not that dense, Sirius,” Remus said.

“Then why is it taking him so long?”

“Use your imagination.”

“I did, and my imagination says he got lost.”

Just then James came strutting into the boys’ fifth year dormitory. “Hello, lads,” James called cheerily. He hadn’t bothered to change out of his Quidditch practice robes yet.

“Did you get the leaves?”

James nodded, and chucked his school bag “ which instead of being filled with books and paper, was filled with fallen leaves.

“I had to double back outside after walking to the castle with the team. I didn’t want anyone questioning why I was taking a bag of leaves back to the castle. So it’s just the bubbles we’re missing?”

“We have that covered too, right, Remus?” Sirius stated.

“All set.”

“I thought it would take over a week for that shop to owl it to us,” pondered James, settling himself in one of the empty seats.

“We’ve got connections,” Sirius said mysteriously.

Remus laughed. “By that he means a Gyffindor first year gave us a bottle of bubbles, and we enhanced it.”

James rolled his eyes. “And we’re missing Peter.”

“He got lost going to the kitchens,” Sirius explained. He leaned back in his seat, tilting the chair back.

“How do you know that?” James asked puzzled. James stood up to light another one of the lamps in the room. The sun was starting to set.

“He doesn’t. He’s just assuming,” Remus said.

As if on cue, Peter burst into the room, out of breath.

“Got lost?” Sirius asked the picture of politeness.

“No,” Peter mumbled. “I was delayed.”

“Why?” Sirius asked. He was interested in why Peter looked flustered by the direction of the topic.

“By Darlene.”

“Who?” repeated Sirius.

“Victoria Dekker’s friend.”

“The really tall one?” James asked Peter.

“Yes.”

“I’m still not sure who you are talking about,” Sirius said.

“You’ve seen her. She has really blonde hair that looks almost white,” James supplied.

Sirius shrugged; the identity of Darlene was still escaping him.
“Guess she’s not that noticeable.”

“I know who she is Peter. I believe she’s in the top five of her class,” Remus said joining in on the conversation.

“Why’d she delay you?” James asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

“No…it wasn’t like that,” Peter said turning pink. “You have the wrong idea. She was asking me about Remus.”

“Remus?” Sirius echoed in surprise.

“Me?” Remus gulped looking flabbergasted.

“Now I really want to know who she is,” Sirius said while grinning at Remus.

“What did she want to know?” Remus asked quietly.

“If you were seeing anyone.”

“What did you say?”

“No, obviously. You aren’t seeing anyone, are you?”

“No, I’m not “ but-” Remus said.

“What else did she want to know?” interrupted James.

“That was really the only question she asked me. She just talked a lot about stupid girl stuff “ talked my ear off “ which is why it took me forever to get back from the kitchens.”

“Now that your curiosity about Peter’s whereabouts is fulfilled, can we please move on to why we are here “ to plan a prank?” Remus voiced.

Sirius shook his head in amusement. Only something like talking about a potential love-interest of Remus would get Remus to actually want to plan a prank.

“Yes, lets,” Peter said in agreement, and he began passing out the bottles of pumpkin juice that he had lifted from the kitchens, as well as a basket of sweets that he placed in the middle of the table.

Planning a prank was serious business. It took research, planning, patience, and timing. It involved heated discussions and agreement by all members of the group. It involved innovation and effective use of each person’s talent.

As usual James took the lead. “We’ve got the spell,” James began. “Thanks to the Duplication Spell Remus stumbled upon in the library.”

Remus did a mock bow with his head.

James continued, “We have the supplies -- feathers, bubbles, and leaves. The target?”

“Entire student population, specifically Slytherin,” Sirius stated.

Through this prank they were killing two birds with one stone “ introducing the school to the Marauders and more importantly getting back at the Slytherins for the ambush. It had eased Remus’s conscience by enacting revenge in this way. Despite always ragging on Remus, their friend’s sensibility generally was right on point. They had three safe-guards: one, it would be close to two weeks after the ambush making it less likely to be pinned on them, two, the prank involved the whole school so less likely the teachers and headmaster would think this was planned against the Slytherins, and three, they were not going to take credit for it in any shape or form “ the Marauders would.

“We need to figure out the locations,” James said. “Have we decided on three floors, one for each of the supplies?”

“Or we could double some of the floors,” Peter interjected.

“James brought plenty of leaves.”

“It would cause more chaos,” Sirius agreed.

“Too much chaos,” protested Remus. “It will be complicated enough magic to get all three floors to happen simultaneously.”

“There are four of us. We could each be responsible for setting one off,” Peter explained.

Remus shook his head. “It will look too suspicious if we are all on separate floors “ especially James and Sirius “ when this all goes off.”

“Okay, three floors,” Peter said looking slightly dejected that his idea was being pushed to the side.

James taking the lead again asked, “Which three floors?”

“Dungeons obviously,” Sirius said. “Ground floor? There are some classrooms, the Great Hall, staff room, and Flich’s office.”

“And First Floor,” Remus said. “We’ve got Defense Classroom and History of Magic classrooms there.”

“And McGonagall’s and Keenan’s office!” Sirius said with a grin.

“Dungeons, Ground Floor, and First floor. Everyone in agreement?” reiterated James.

The boys all nodded.

“All that’s left is which supply will be set off in which floor, and what time we want this to go off,” James announced.

“I vote for between breakfast ending and before classes begin. This way there will still be some students in the Great Hall finishing up for breakfast, there will still be students who return to their common room before first class, so the Dungeons will still have large number of Slytherins, and there will also be some students heading to their classrooms early,” Remus said.

Sirius smiled -- he was glad Remus was fully participating in the planning of the prank. Sirius had originally thought that Remus would just sit there silently and only inject his opinion with the things he didn’t agree with, like he usually did.

“Sounds like the perfect time to me,” James said. “I think we could do it this Monday. Remus, you’re comfortable enough with the spell?”

“Yes. Our main roadblock is we need to set it up that night and we don’t want it going off before it is supposed to.”

“Isn’t it possible to put the magic on a timer?” Peter asked.

“Yes, there is,” Sirius said. “I can figure out by Sunday night how to do that.”

“And what will trigger each? Touch or a code word?” Remus asked.

“I was thinking,” James said, “With the feathers we could have them falling down from an archway as students are walking through. It would be set off by them stepping on it or the feathers falling right on them. The Timer Charm would be set to have the feathers actually fall. Then with the leaves we could make a line across the hallway, and place an Invisible Charm on them. The trigger for the leaves could also be touch.”

“Wouldn’t they be able to hear the crunching of the leaves under foot even if the leaves are invisible?” Sirius asked.

“Just switch it then. Leaves falling down and feathers a line on the ground,” Remus suggested.

“And the bubbles could also fall down. If I saw bubbles falling down suddenly from the ceiling I’d try to pop them,” Peter said.

“Touch trigger would work for that as well.”

James looked thoughtful. “So theoretically once the charm is placed, one touch of any of these items would cause the feather, leaf or bubble to duplicate until-”

“Yes it would duplicate until it filled whatever border we decide on. I would just have to trace my wand around the entire floor and it would duplicate until the whole floor “ top to bottom- was filled with the feathers, leaves or bubbles,” Remus replied.

“Last of all, what on which floor?” James said.

“Leaves on Dungeons,” Sirius voiced without hesitation.

“Bubbles on the Ground,” Remus offered next.

“That leaves feathers on the first floor,” James said.

“Fine with me,” Peter said.

“Excellent. Good work gentlemen.”

The rest of the night they practiced the magical spells they’d need to have the prank be successful, worked out some of the minor details, and had all around good time in each others company.




It was a stormy Friday night and most of the Gryffindors had settled in the common room earlier than usual. The level of noise was considerable, but no one objected. Seventh-years had taken over the best and warmest seats by the fireplace, and even James and Sirius who generally felt entitled to getting anything and everything they wanted, weren’t about to kick the older boys out of their seats.

All six of the fifth-year Gryffindor boys, including Terry Keeler and Derek Newbell, were seated tightly around a small table generally only meant for four students.

Peter was telling them a funny story that had happened earlier that morning. The owl who was supposed to deliver a letter to him would not give the letter up and instead kept diving at Peter and anyone who had been standing in the vicinity. Finally an older student had come to Peter’s aide and zapped the owl right out of the sky. The owl’s talons were gripped so tightly around the letter that they had to bring it to the Care of Magical Creature Professor, who half-woke the bird, so that its grip on the letter slackened and the letter could be liberated.

Sirius was amused by the story, but he couldn’t help but be distracted by James “ who himself kept fidgeting and glancing over at the fifth-year girls. When Terry began talking about his own strange owl experience, Sirius tuned him out “ slightly bored with the topic -- and as his gaze wandered he first saw Victoria Dekker, and next to her a very tall and very blonde girl. Sirius elbowed Remus beside him.

“What?” Remus mouthed. Remus always a polite conversationalist had been listening to Terry’s tale with avid attention.

“Is that Darlene?”

Remus glanced up and rolled his eyes. “Yes, Sirius.”

“Oh Darlene!” Sirius called out loudly. Actually very loudly since his voice had to carry over the din of all the other students.

“What are you doing?” hissed Remus.

Darlene froze and glanced over at Sirius with a perplexed look. Darlene wasn’t used to being called on by a boy as popular or even half as popular as Sirius.

“Yes?” she called out nervously, her face turning rapidly red.

“Remus wants to talk to you!” Sirius carried on. He pointed at Remus who had slumped down in his seat.

Darlene stood up suddenly and Sirius realised she really did have a tall and imposing figure. She looked worriedly at Remus when he didn’t make a move to stand up. Sirius pushed his friend out of his seat.

“I’m going to kill you for this,” Remus said in a low voice and then placed a false smile on his face as he motioned Darlene toward a less crowded area of the common room.

“You’ll thank me for this,” Sirius said back quietly, though Remus was too far away to hear.

Sirius turned to his best friend to get his opinion on the Remus-Darlene matter when he noticed James was not beside him. At around the same time Remus had left to Darlene, James had made his way toward the fifth-year girls. Sirius watched James curiously as James ran a hand through his hair and took the last few steps toward the girls.

“Hey Evans!”

Lily, who had been braiding Mary’s hair, jerked her head up in surprise. “Hello, Potter. Can we help you?” Her voice had a chilly edge to it and the girls around her tittered. James felt his resolve faltering. It took all his Gryffindor courage to not turn around and run.

“Are you going to the Slug party?” James was shocked that his voice was steady, and did not betray how foolish he actually felt.

Lily’s eyes widened. She stopped braiding and appraised James. “Yes, I am,” she replied, her voice still chilled.

“Great…Sirius and I are going as well.” James paused placing his hands in his pockets, aware all the girls and possibly half of the common room were waiting for his next question. “Since we are all going, would you want to walk with us there tomorrow night?”

The words came out fast, and for a moment James feared he’d have to repeat them again. Lily’s friends erupted into giggles again, obviously understanding his intent enough to mock him.

Lily blushed, causing James to feel his face heat up as well. “I’m meeting Severus already,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Oh,” James said now wishing desperately he had never left his seat and was still pretending to listen to Terry.

“They are only friends,” Catherine Pierce interjected.

“Catherine!” Lily cried looking embarrassed.

“What? Weren’t you just assuring us yesterday that you did not harbor a secret crush on Snape and that you held purely platonic feelings toward him?” Catherine replied innocently.

“Potter doesn’t need to know that,” Lily protested.

“I think he does,” Catherine said cheekily, winking at James.

Lily sent her friend a murderous look.

“I’ll see you at the party then?” James asked hopefully.

“I suppose,” Lily said with no commitment.

James nodded and returned to his seat between Sirius and Peter.

“What did she say?” Sirius asked, having been unable to hear the conversation.

“She’s walking to the party with Snape,” James mumbled.

“I thought you were asking her to go to the party with you?” Peter said.

James shook his head. “Good thing I didn’t.”

Remus was suddenly walking past them away from Darlene and straight up to their dormitory without a word. Darlene looked confused, embarrassed, and she returned to her friends with her head bowed down.

“What’s wrong with Remus?” James asked.

Sirius sighed. “I’ll go see.”

He stood up and followed his friend up the stairs. Sirius jumped the stairs so quickly that he’d arrived before Remus even had time to get his feelings sorted out privately.

“I don’t want to speak to you,” Remus announced gruffly.

Sirius held up his hands in defense. “I can see things didn’t go well…I was only trying to help.”

“Did you see how she was at least an inch and a half taller than me?” Remus moaned sitting down on his bed.

“So? You’re a werewolf.”

Remus cast him an incredulous look.

“I just mean with her height she wouldn’t be very picky…”

“And I shouldn’t be either? I should lower my standards?” Remus said his voice high and strained with emotion.

Sirius winced; he’d taken the wrong approach. “No. I didn’t mean it in that way. Aren’t I supposed to be the shallow one of the group? I thought you were adult enough to look past her height.”

“I’m not interested in a relationship at the moment.”

“You never are!”

“I’m only fifteen. It isn’t as if I am twenty-five and never been properly with a girl!”

Sirius huffed.

“I have good reasons, Sirius.”

“Don’t tell me you like blokes?” Sirius asked jokingly.

Remus fought back a smile and stated sarcastically, “You caught me. I’m secretly in love with you.”

Sirius laughed, though when he noticed Remus still looked very troubled, asked, “It’s your furry little problem, isn’t it?”

“I know you find it hard to believe, but not everyone is as accepting as you, James and Peter.”

Sirius did not find it hard to believe, after all his family believed werewolves were not humans. “You know, you don’t have to feel guilty about not telling a girl about your problem even after a few dates. You don’t owe that to any girl.”

“I know…but isn’t that starting a relationship on a lie?”

“It’s a necessary lie, and you know it. Any girl that is worthy of you will understand as well.”

“That’s easy to say, but it doesn’t change that fact that I do feel guilty and I am lying. I hate having to lie. I hate pretending I’m normal. ”

“You are normal,” Sirius said. They’d had this conversation before. He felt a bit as a failure as a friend that they still had been unable to really convince Remus that he was normal.

“I’m not,” Remus insisted. “You can’t make something true just by saying it over and over again.”

“Who wants to be normal anyway? Look at me, I’m a blood traitor. My parents certainly don’t believe I’m normal. And James? The way his hair sticks out? That certainly isn’t normal. And his obsession with Quidditch goes way beyond normal.”

Remus smiled.

“Now I would consider Snivellus to be the biggest and weirdest oddball of the entire school, maybe even in the history of Hogwarts. You are a thousand times more normal than he is. And Peter-”

“I get it,” Remus said.

Sirius grinned. “Good.”

“I’m still not interested in Darlene.”

“Fair enough,” Sirius said. “Ready to return to the common room?”

“Sure, better than sulking here the rest of the night.”

“That’s the spirit, mate.”



Severus Snape was anxious for Lily to arrive. He found himself pacing in front of the Great Hall where they’d agreed to meet. As always, the state of his robes “ worn and frayed “ was far from adequate for a Slug party. His mother didn’t see the need for new or fancy dress robes. She didn’t understand how important it was for him, if he wanted to get ahead, to impress the right people. His mother had already put him socially in terms of blood status behind by marrying a stupid Muggle. And the right people cared and noticed things like the quality and expense of dress robes. Severus liked to give the impression he could care less about frivolous things such as the right clothes and haircut, but that was only to cover the fact he couldn’t afford to compete in such areas. Another thing that both Black and Potter beat him in.

Lily’s arrival left Severus feeling breathless. She glided down the stairs in a Muggle dress. Severus couldn’t deny she looked elegant and beautiful in the dress, but he felt a twinge of annoyance. He was always trying to bury his Muggle side, while here his best friend was flaunting it. Severus received enough grief from his housemates about his Muggleborn friend, and it would not help matters by her coming to a wizard party dressed as a Muggle. He didn’t say anything, having learned the hard way that it would only anger her. Their relationship was already strained; keeping quiet on this matter was the safe choice.

“Hello, Sev!” Lily had a large genuine smile on her face. “Who do you think Professor Slughorn will have as his special guest tonight? A vampire? Famous Quidditch Player, perhaps?”

Severus shrugged. He was hoping it would be someone more influential than merely famous.

Lily gave him a side-long glance. “James Potter asked me to walk with him to the party tonight.”

Time came to a complete halt. “What?” he managed to choke out. His throat and chest tightened, and he felt an overwhelming sensation of trepidation wash over him, as if he’d just been doused with a bucket of icy water.

“Apparently he and Black were planning to go to the party “ I don’t think they attended any of Slughorn’s parties last year “ and he asked if I wanted to walk with them.” She laughed nervously. With each word out of her mouth, Severus felt an increasing sense of doom. “Strange, isn’t it?”

Lily’s cheeks were tinged pink as she looked at him for “ Severus wasn’t sure what she wanted. Why had she even told him? She knew how he despised Potter. And she herself had always detested both boys. He only knew that it wasn’t safe for him to speak.

“I suppose it was nice of Potter to offer,” she continued lightly.

“Nice?” Severus hissed unable to suppress his anger any longer.

Lily looked startled.

“I doubt ‘being nice’ was his main motivation.” Severus could think of many reasons why any fifteen year old boy would want to be near a girl as pretty as Lily, and they all made his blood boil. He’d always known he would have to compete with suitors eventually, but never had it crossed his mind that it could be Potter.

“You’re angry,” she stated. “I told him flat out I couldn’t. I was walking with you. I would never stand you up, especially not for the likes of James Potter. Being nice once doesn’t erase all the times he’s been a toe rag. I haven’t forgotten how horribly he treats you. ”

Severus felt slightly mollified. He didn’t dare ask her what her answer would have been if she hadn’t arranged to meet him first.

“Are you ready to go?”

Severus nodded and they began walking silently side by side. He knew at the moment he had one up on James Potter in winning Lily’s affections. Lily considered him a friend and she still held Potter in a mostly negative light. Yet Potter was personable, popular, Quidditch hero, and better looking than Severus and Lily resisting his charms would only encourage Potter to continue to pursue her. He clenched his fists tightly as a silent outlet to the rage against Potter that was building inside of him. He certainly hadn’t needed another reason to despise Potter, and this reason was just the icing on the cake.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=74261