Love Keeps Us Together (Sometimes Apart) by DontCallMeNymphadora
Summary: Ok, so I really really want to apologize to everyone that has read this and wanted more. I just... I got to a point of writer's block, big time... and I got lazy. I'm really really sorry about that. And, I wish I could add to this, but I just... I don't really have other ideas. I'm terrible at writing chapter work. I can never seem to finish it. So, I know it left off awkwardly, but odds are, it's gonna stay that way, at least for a very long while. I'm very sorry. And, heads up, I completely beyond appreciate everyone that has read and reviewed this. I saw the read count being over 22,000 today, and I was just like WOW. I never ever imagined that would happen!!! Anyways, this is pretty much the end of the story indefinitely, at least for now.
Categories: Remus/Tonks Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 36159 Read: 92597 Published: 11/04/07 Updated: 08/01/09
Story Notes:
I have this fanfic on fanfiction.net as well now.
My author name is HugglepuffOboeCrissGirl and the story there is now called
'The Highway to Their True Love' For those of you still reading, I won't be able to edit for about eleven days... I'm really sorry. I'm jsut busy right now, and my story isn't on this computer.

1. Chapter 1: The Confession by DontCallMeNymphadora

2. Chapter 2: A Distraction by DontCallMeNymphadora

3. Chapter 3: Feelings Develop [More] by DontCallMeNymphadora

4. Chapter 4: Dinner and... Conversation by DontCallMeNymphadora

5. Chapter 5: Doxies and Slyness by DontCallMeNymphadora

6. Chapter 6: A Morning Mishap by DontCallMeNymphadora

7. Chapter 7: A Bitter Taste of War by DontCallMeNymphadora

8. Chapter 8: Realisation Hits the Hospital Wing by DontCallMeNymphadora

9. Chapter 9: Desperation and Suspicion by DontCallMeNymphadora

10. Chapter 10: Potential Heartbreak by DontCallMeNymphadora

11. Chapter 11: A Veela Encounter by DontCallMeNymphadora

12. Chapter 12: Fighting Ice With Ice by DontCallMeNymphadora

13. Chapter 13: A Chat of Love by DontCallMeNymphadora

14. Chapter 14: A New Beginning by DontCallMeNymphadora

15. Chapter 15: A New Form of Entertainment by DontCallMeNymphadora

16. Chapter 16: Haven't You Learned By Now? by DontCallMeNymphadora

Chapter 1: The Confession by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
I am not J. K. Rowling, nor will I ever be. All of the ingenious ideas and characters belong to her wonderful, brilliant, wonderfully-brilliant mind. I am just borrowing them for a time.
"I love you," Tonks said, her deep brown eyes looking into his light hazel ones. Remus, pale, scars running down his face from his last transformation, and with grey streaks in his hair, sat directly across from her. They were in the dark, small, musty sitting room of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. He looked aghast.

"What?" he managed to say thickly.

Tonks grasped his callused hands firmly in her smooth ones. "I love you," she said again, her eyes now flitting across his face; the face she so loved.

Remus took his hands out of hers and stared at the ground. "Why?" he asked her, hardly moving his lips. "Why would you want to love me? I am too old, almost old enough to be your father, not to mention I am too dangerous. I could never allow you to put yourself in danger of getting hurt. I..." His voice trailed off into silence.

Tonks listened to every word he said. Did he honestly think she hadn't thought of everything he was saying before now?

"Remus," she said quietly, trying to take his hands in hers again, but he pulled them away. "No!" he said, sounding rather sharper than he'd meant to. "I cannot be involved with you. I can't love you."

He chanced a look at Tonks' face. Her shocking pink hair framed the shocked look on her face, and she looked as though she may start to cry. "Tonks," he said.

"Remus," she said, trying to keep her voice steady. "Remus, do you love me?" There was a lump in her throat, but she wouldn't cry, she couldn’t; not in front of him.

"I can't love you Tonks," Remus said, though it seemed he was forcing this from his mouth.

"That wasn't my question," Tonks said. Her eyes were now glossed over with tears, making them appear like dark chocolate pools. "Remus, do you love me?" A tear slid down her cheek. Before he could stop himself, Remus reached out and wiped it away with his thumb.

That one small gesture told Tonks everything. "You do," she whispered. "You do love me."

"Nymphadora," Remus said. "I don't love you like that. I-" But his sentence was cut short by a short knock on the door. Tonks glared at him, and then hastily wiped her eyes as Mrs. Weasley, a short, plump woman with violently red hair walked in.

"Tonks," she said. "Mad-Eye is downstairs, he..." She stopped talking abruptly and looked from Remus to Tonks. "Am I interrupting something?" she asked quickly, reaching her hand behind her to grab the doorknob again as she backed toward it.

"No," Tonks said, her voice strangely high-pitched. And she jumped up from her worn old chair and hurried out of the room, wiping her eyes again as she went.

"What was that all about?" Molly asked, walking over and taking the seat Tonks had previously occupied across from Remus.

"Nothing," Remus said, trying to get up and move towards the door. But Molly had her hand wrapped firmly around his wrist. "Remus," she said. "What is it?"

"Nothing," Remus repeated, knowing full well he couldn't lie to Molly Weasley. She knew when someone was lying. After all, she had six sons, two of which were some of the biggest and best pranksters in the world. "Go ask Tonks, maybe she'll tell you," he said, his voice sounding slightly harsh.

"No Remus," Molly said firmly. She relinquished her grip, though only very slightly. "I'm asking you, not her.

"I- oh, alright," Remus stammered, realising he had been defeated. He was silent for a few minutes. He didn’t know if he really wanted to relay this private information to Molly.

"Go on, what did she tell you?" Molly pressed in that motherly tone of hers, placing a hand on Remus’ shoulder.

Remus was silent for a few more seconds, wondering how to tell Molly what Tonks had just told him. Finally, he found his voice, and the correct wording of what he needed to relay.

"She told me how she feels about me," he said quietly, almost inaudibly.

"Which is?" Molly inquired, thinking she knew what was coming.

"She... she," Remus stammered. "She loves me." He looked quite ill as he said it, as if it was the night after his transformation.

"Remus," Molly said. Her eyes began to fill with tears of happiness for Tonks, whom she sometimes considered as an older daughter. "That is absolutely wonderful."

"Molly," Remus said, sucking in a deep breath. "You don't understand. It is not wonderful, not at all. How can I live with myself knowing I am hurting Tonks while trying to protect her?" He looked up at Molly. She still had tears in her eyes, but she no longer looked happy. Her joy was gone, as quickly as it had come.

"Remus," Molly said, tears beginning to cascade down her cheeks now. "Remus, she loves you. You ought to think of the way she-"

"No!" Remus said, a look of pure anguish on his prematurely-lined face. "Don't you understand? How could I ever forgive myself if an accident were to happen and I hurt her? What if I lost control? What if I bit her and passed on my lycanthropy to her? Not to mention, Tonks is young. She deserves somebody young and whole, not old and broken. Also, I am far too poor. I can't just- she needs... someone better than me. Someone who could do more for her." Remus finished his sentence and put his head into his hands, shaking it and running his fingers through his hair, making it stand on end. Then, he looked up at Molly, a tear threatening to slide down his cheek. He brushed it away quickly.

Molly pulled him into a hug for a minute. Then, sitting back again, she said quietly, "Remus, you don't need to worry about that. You would be cautious. Apparently she's fine with it. Besides, you're hurting her worse this way. Love is more powerful than anything else in the world." She looked at him for a second, pausing, and then said, "Do you love her?"

"I- no, I can't," Remus replied, looking even more anguished than before. "I can't love anybody, not like that. But, especially not her."

Molly looked at him tearfully again. "You do love her though. You're just worried for her. Am I right?"

"I- you're not." Remus looked into Molly's eyes. "Yes," he said, and tears began to spill from his eyes. Molly tried to comfort him, but he pushed her away. "Just go," he whispered hoarsely. She hesitated. “Please,” he added desperately.

So Molly slowly got up and exited the room. As she was closing the door, she looked back into the room to see Remus collapse to his knees and bend over the couch, crying. She sighed, then went to find Tonks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonks was lying in her room (the one reserved for her when she stayed at Headquarters). She had gone to see Mad-Eye and then ran up to the first door to the left on the third landing. Now, she was crying on her bed, her head in her arms and her whole body shaking. Suddenly, she heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," she said thickly, wiping her eyes on the sleeve of her robes as she sat up on the edge of her bed. Molly opened the door and walked in quietly.

"Remus just told me what happened," she said, sitting down beside Tonks and hugging her.

After a few seconds, Tonks looked up at Molly and said, "What's wrong with me? How could I ever think that he could possibly have feelings for me?” She paused. “He just cares about himself." Tonks poured her thoughts out to Molly, who listened intently.

"Nymphadora," Molly began, but Tonks interjected, barely suppressing a shudder at being called by her first name. "Don't call me Nymphadora, Molly. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Fine then. Tonks," Molly said, rolling her eyes. "None of that is true. He cares for everyone.” She sighed. “Do you know what his problem is?" She looked at Tonks, who nodded. "He's a no good prat of a werewolf who doesn't have feelings. That's his problem."

As she said these words, Tonks felt angry with herself. Molly looked surprised and half-laughed. She straightened up and hugged Tonks again.

"No," she said calmly. "His problem is that he cares too much. He loves all of us, and he doesn't want to hurt us. But most of all, he loves you."

"How do you know that?" Tonks asked, her voice scratchy from crying so much.

"Because, I just talked to him. Like I said before, he told me everything that happened between you and him just now."

Tonks moaned and began to cry again. "He doesn't love me,” she choked out between her sobs. “I-if he did, he'd tell me. He-he wouldn't let me feel this way. He doesn't love me." Even though she said all this to Molly, Tonks knew deep down in her heart that Remus did love her, whether he wanted to admit it or not. Her mind couldn’t just accept that under the circumstances at the moment, however.

After a minute or two of silence where both women’s thoughts ran in different directions, Tonks spoke again. "Love is absolutely the worst bloody thing in the entire world."

Molly stared at Tonks quizzically. "And what in the name of Hogwarts and the four Houses makes you say that? If your parents hadn't loved each other, would you be here right now, sitting here and talking to me about your love life?"

Tonks looked up at Molly reluctantly. "No," she said, a trace smile creeping its way onto her face. "But I might be somewhere else talking to someone else about my pitiful love life." The smile was wiped from her face in a second. "But it wouldn't be the same."

"That's right," Molly said. She paused, thinking. But Tonks interrupted her thoughts.

"Molly," she said. "Where's Remus?"

"In the sitting room where we left him," Molly replied, not mentioning the fact that when she had left him, he had been crying onto the chair.

Without another word, Tonks opened the door and sped out of the room, knocking over a vase that sent china crashing to the floor, and leaving Molly staring after her. After her mind relaxed a little, Molly waved her wand and repaired the vase, setting it back where it belonged.

















Chapter 2: A Distraction by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Okay, now that I finally know how to stop the italics, it can be put up!!!!! This has a lot of Fred and George, so I really hope you guys enjoy this chapter. As soon as this one gets validated, chappie three will be put up!!
Tonks dashed down two flights of stairs, almost knocking a vase over as she turned the corner into the hallway of the first landing. She then flew down one more set of stairs and turned to the first door on the right. She hammered her fist on it. When no one answered, she yelled, “Remus, I know you’re in there. Open this door n-’’

The door opened, and standing in the doorway was the tall and stunning figure of Albus Dumbledore.

“Ah, Nymphadora,” he said, smiling and staring down his long, crooked nose toward her, his blue eyes piercing her.

“Wotcher, Professor,” Tonks said in a small voice, ignoring the fact that her first name was being used. “Sorry for all the racket. I was just going to- Have you seen Remus?” She flushed a deep red as she said this. ‘Oh, stop it,’ she thought. ‘You’re acting like a child.’

“Ah,” Dumbledore said again, smiling more widely, his electric blue eyes twinkling behind his half-moon spectacles. “Yes, Remus has just left. I believe he is home, at his flat, or he is in Diagon Alley. Or-’’

“Thank you, Professor,” Tonks said, even though she knew she shouldn’t have interrupted Dumbledore. But she was in too much of a hurry. She had to see Remus, now that she knew the cold hard facts that Molly had just given her. So, she hurried down the stairs that ended on the ground floor. In the process, one of the house-elf heads and its plaque fell off the wall. (The tradition of cutting off old house-elf’s heads when they were too old had been started by one of her evil, distant cousins.) Tonks turned back and, with a shudder of disgust, quickly thrust it back onto the nail off which it hung. She then jumped the last few steps, sprinting down the hallway and wrenching open the front door. As she flew down the front steps, Tonks tripped over the hem of her robes and fell onto her stomach on the parched, dry lawn outside of the house.

Tonks groaned in pain as she leapt to her feet. She wondered whether she should try Diagon Alley or Remus’ tiny flat first, knowing it was very likely that he could be at either. She finally decided on the flat, and Disapparated with a loud crack that echoed around the square of houses.

Seconds later, she found herself out of breath and outside the very shabby-looking flat that belonged to Remus. “Wow,” Tonks said under her breath as she walked forward. “This is even worse than the last time I was here.”

She cautiously approached the front door, stuck out her right hand, and tapped on the door. There was no reply. Tonks tried again, this time knocking louder, and calling out, “Remus. Remus, are you home?” She bent down and peeped through the keyhole. But, all she could see was the entrance to Remus’ living room, and nothing looked as if it had been stepped upon in the past half hour. (Being an Auror, Tonks was highly trained to recognise things like this immediately.)

Knowing now that there was no one in the small flat, Tonks stepped away from the door and began to walk to the sidewalk. She looked down both directions of the street, checking that no one was sticking their heads out the windows. Seeing that no one was around, she turned on the spot and Disapparated, a large crack filling the air like a firecracker as she went.

She landed just outside the Leaky Cauldron, and slipped inside as quietly as she could. As she was walking, old, friendly Tom the Landlord spotted her and greeted her with a toothless grin. “Hello, Miss Tonks,” he said, stepping from behind the counter to shake her hand. She smiled at him and grasped his hand quickly. “Hello,” she said. “How are you?”

“Just fine,” he answered. “Might I get you something to eat or drink today, my dear?”

“Not today, Tom,” she said, smiling at him. “Erm, you haven’t seen Remus about here today, have you? Remus Lupin?”

“Yes,” Tom said. “He passed by here about fifteen minutes ago. Was in a bit of a hurry though, don’t know if he wants to talk at the moment. You might want to check the tea shop, he murmured something about that on his way out.”

“Thank you,” Tonks said, hurrying to the back of the pub. She pushed open the door and stepped out into the alleyway. Taking out her wand, she tapped the third brick from the left and stood back as the bricks turned into an archway that opened up into Diagon Alley. She stepped forward and began to walk down the cobbled street as the arch transformed into a brick wall once more.

Tonks hadn’t been in Diagon Alley for a little over a year. There were a few new shops that had just opened, one of them being Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. It stood out, being very colourful on the outside, with the colours changing every few seconds. Impressed, she walked up to it, anxious to see if Fred and George’s business was doing well. Then, she spotted a sign on the front of the building, making her burst out laughing. On it, in large letters, were the words:

“WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT
YOU-KNOW-WHO?
YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT
U-NO-POO
THE CONSTIPATION SENSATION
THAT’S GRIPPING THE NATION!”


Shaking her head and still giggling, Tonks slipped into the shop, and was immediately greeted by Fred. His shaggy, shoulder-length hair bounced around his face, and he was dressed in fine robes of a royal blue color.

“Hello, my fine lady!” he said, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and smiling brightly up at her. “How might I help you today, Nymphadora?”

“Shut up,” Tonks said, punching him lightly on the arm. “Don’t use the ‘N’ name around me. It’s disturbing!”

“Ouch! And just when I was going to give you a free Patented Daydream or love potion of your choice! Too bad for you.”

“Ha ha,” Tonks laughed, sarcasm lining every inch of her voice. “Actually, I was just dropping by to see if business was doing well, or if you and your brother are bloody horrible salesmen.” She smiled, looking around. There looked to be around one hundred people crammed into the tiny shop. “I’m pleasantly surprised,” she said. “I thought you and George would be terrible in the sales business. Apparently, you two aren’t that bad after all. I’ve never seen any other shop doing this well, at any time of the year.”

“Thank you, Tonks,” said a voice behind her, making her jump. She turned around to see George emerging from a curtain. He too was dressed in royal blue robes, his hair pulled back into a very poorly done ponytail at the nape of his neck. “And, just to let you know, we have about another fifty or so people in the back of the shop. Feel free to look, if you wish.” He flashed her a smile.

“I really wish I could look, but I…”

Fred and George put on begging faces and surrounded her like two little puppy dogs. “Please,” Fred said. “We’re not asking you to buy anything-’’

“-Though it would be nice!” George jumped in.

“Just examine our little inventions for us. It would be nice to hear an old detention buddy’s opinion on our products.” He and his brother smiled wickedly, trying to recall her old memories of school.

Tonks glanced from Fred to George and back. “Okay, fine. I’ll look at them, but only for a minute. And,” she added, a grimace on her face as they led her to the back room. “Might I remind you, I was in detention with you five times in our entire two years of school together, whereas I am sure you two were in at least twenty times in those two years, though probably more.”

“Well, still,” George said. “It counts that you were still there with us. That was five times more than, say, Charlie was ever in with us.”

Fred smiled. “Oh, yeah, and for us, it was way more than twenty times.” He put an emphasis on the way.

Tonks was about to open her mouth once in response, but the sight in the room caused it to close and open several times in a row. She was speechless. All around her were some of the most ingenious products she had ever seen: hats that made your head disappear, shield hats, -“The Ministry has put an order of about two hundred of these so far!”-, Instant Darkness Powder, and Decoy Detonators, which gave a diversion if needed.

“Wow,” Tonks said. “These are amazing. I can’t believe y’all have done all this.” She took a watch out of her pocket and glanced at it. “I will have to stop by here some other time. But now, I really do need to get going. I have- I’m meeting someone.”

“Who?” Fred chimed.

“Yes, do tell,” George said, a look of curious mockery on his face.

“That is personal,” Tonks said, emphasizing her words. “It really was wonderful seeing you again, though. I hope business stays great. Bye! I hope to see you two soon.”

Tonks waved her hand as she swept out of the curtain and out the door. Behind her, Fred looked at George and said, “And she honestly thinks we don’t know what’s going on?”

George shrugged his shoulders, and the two went back to their business.
Chapter 3: Feelings Develop [More] by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
I luff this chapie!!! Hope you do too!
Tonks stepped out onto the cobbled street of Diagon Alley, letting the door close behind her, the little bell tinkling quietly. She turned to her left and began to stride down the lane, passing Madame Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions as she did so. At a glance, she saw that there was a ten or eleven-year-old boy who was being very difficult. He greatly reminded Tonks of her cousin “sadly- Draco Malfoy.

She continued on, passing Eeylop’s Owl Emporium and Quality Quidditch Supplies, finally coming to a small coffee shop. Bending down at the window, she peeked inside and saw Remus sitting by himself at a small table in the back left hand corner of the shop. She opened up the little door and stepped inside carefully; She almost regretted this once she was in the doorway.

Everything was horridly pink. Despite this being her favourite colour, this was going too far. It reminded her of one of the ex-heads of departments in the Ministry of Magic, Dolores Umbridge’s office (minus all the kitten plates). Or, so she thought. There, on the right wall, were several pictures of kittens dressed in bows and other atrocious attire. Tonks was just about to turn towards the seat where Remus was sitting, but then a witch dressed in a pale pink uniform stepped in front of her.

“Hi,” she said jubilantly, smacking on a piece of minty-smelling gum. Tonks attempted a smile, but was sure it came out more as a grimace. “Hi.”

“How may I help you today?” the witch asked, flipping her curly blonde hair over her shoulder. “Would you like a menu or anything?” Smack, smack, smack.

“Erm, no,” Tonks said, the gum chewing and all the pink getting to her. “I was just meeting him over there.” She nodded her head to Remus. “I’ll just, um, let you know if I need anything.” She laughed nervously and hurried away. Just as she was nearing Remus’ table, she tripped over a fold in the carpet, falling flat on her stomach with a groan. This startled Remus, and he looked down, his ears reddening as soon as he saw who he was facing.

“Tonks!” he said, surprised. “What are you doing here?” He reached down a hand to help her to her feet. She grasped it gratefully, a warm feeling shooting up her arm as she did so. “Thanks,” she said, smiling as she took a seat across from him.

After a few moments, Tonks transfigured her hair from its shocking pink to a soft, flowy, pale blue style that rested in layers just above her shoulders. Remus smiled, noticing how pretty she looked with her hair this way. “Nice,” Remus said.

“Thanks,” Tonks answered. She looked around the shop, grimacing. “Do you come here often, or is this just a getaway for right now?”

“I come here about three times a week, four if I can swing it,” Remus answered. Tonks stared at him disbelievingly. “I’m only kidding,” he said, laughing slightly. His voice became quieter. “No, I- this is the first time I’ve ever been here. It looked safe enough on the outside, but inside- well, that’s another story.”

Tonks smiled shyly at this remark, staring down at her lap. Just then, another waiter walked over to them, this one dressed in hot pink robes. (Tonks was beginning to think she may never want to see the color pink again right about now.)

“Hi, what can I get you today?” she asked.

“Erm, nothing,” Tonks said, grimacing. “I’m- I don’t really have an appetite right now. I’m just- talking.”

The witch smiled, though rather unpleasantly. “Well, I’ll be back if you need anything.”

“No, I think I’m fine,” Tonks answered quickly.

As soon as the witch was gone, Tonks turned to Remus to see him suppressing a giggle.

“And what on earth is so funny, might I ask?” she said, her eyes flashing different colors as she transfigured them.

“Nothing,” Remus said, straightening his face out. “I just thought you loved pink- and food.”

“Well, I do,” she answered. “But this… this is overkill. I mean, it is like looking into Dolores Umbridge’s office, only worse. And I never thought I would say that- not ever. And the food… well what if that was pink too? It just- doesn’t mix for me.” She smiled at him, her teeth very white against her pink lips. He smiled back at her, and then wiped it from his face as he remembered their conversation from earlier that day. He couldn’t be doing this with her, it was too much.

They sat in silence for a while, Tonks looking out of the window to get her mind away from all of the pink in the shop, Remus staring into his scarcely touched coffee. Both had their thoughts focused on one thing “each other.

Going through Tonks’ mind were ways that she could easily slide in something about her love again in a conversation “not necessarily today (there’d been enough trauma in that neck of the woods for one day already), but maybe sometime soon. She was hard-headed and determined, and she wasn’t going to let some silly werewolf excuse stop her from getting what she wanted.

Remus, on the other hand, was thinking exactly the opposite. He knew exactly what was going through Tonks’ mind, and was thinking up ways to tell her why they could never be together. He knew she didn’t give a damn about him being a werewolf, or that he was poor, but he couldn’t help himself. He just didn’t want to see her hurt, and no matter what it took, he would have to get her to realize this, one way or another.

“So,” Tonks said, trying to make conversation after their ten minute reverie. “I’ve been getting told off at the Ministry lately because I am changing my hair everyday.”

Remus smiled. “Really? Maybe you should try just keeping it normal for a change. Then maybe you wouldn’t always be in so much trouble all the time, risking your job.”

She smirked at him. “Honestly, I don’t think they would fire me. I am one of the best bloody aurors there are there, despite my constant clumsiness.” She paused, transfiguring her hair to a normal chocolate brown color, shoulder length with waves. She grabbed the napkin holder off the table and examined her reflection in it. “Ew,” she exclaimed, not liking what she saw, quickly changing to black bobbed style with red highlights. “Much better,” she said, looking at Remus. “And this is why I will not keep my hair normal. It doesn’t fit me.”

“I think you look fine with your hair normal,” Remus said, before he could think about it. ‘Damn it,’ he thought inwardly. ‘She can’t know what I really think.’

“Thank you,” Tonks said, smiling. “But honestly, I think my opinion wins over yours when it comes to this.” She reached across the table and slapped his wrist playfully when he tried to protest this. “My hair, my decision,” she laughed. He laughed too. She smiled uncomfortably, then, there was silence again, a very uncomfortable silence.

Remus involuntarily glanced up at her, but she averted her eyes. She didn’t know why, but she didn’t want to be caught under his gaze. She felt as if he could read everything that she was thinking without speaking to her. And, she was right, because he could. He knew as soon as she looked away from him that she was thinking something that was forbidden to him. It wasn’t right for a werewolf to ever fall in love. Laws of humanity just didn’t allow it. Not to mention, laws at the Ministry would get Tonks fired from her job if she was caught loving a werewolf. Yet, here he was, sitting in front of the one woman who did truly love him, and, as much as he wanted to deny it, whom he loved back just as much, if not more.

After a few more minutes, Tonks glanced down at her watch. The time read five forty-five. “Damn,” she said quietly, startling Remus.

“What is it?” he asked concernedly.

“I just remembered,” she said, beginning to stand up, flustered. “We have a bloody Order meeting tonight.”

“Oh my God!” Remus said, jumping from his seat. (And just in time, as Tonks tripped again as she was stepping out of the booth.) He reached out with both hands and caught her around her waist, setting her up straight again after a moment, savoring the few seconds she was in his arms.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said, looking into his eyes and blushing a fierce crimson. As he had held her, she had realised how good his hands felt wrapped around her, though now she felt quite awkward.

After yet another moment of silence, Remus cleared his throat and said awkwardly, “Erm, shall we go?”

“Yes,” Tonks answered, laughing nervously. They walked towards the door, and Remus reached his arm over her head, holding it open for her. ‘What a gentleman,’ she thought, as they began to walk down the road before disapparating to Grimmauld Place.
Chapter 4: Dinner and... Conversation by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Okay, so this chapter has been through the queue once before, but it got rejected because of grammatical errors, so hopefully this time it works. This chapter has Sirius and I really love this one so I hope you do too... Please Read and Review!!!
As soon as they landed on the doorstep of Grimmauld Place, Tonks tripped again, and Remus was forced to wrap his arms around her again before she fell completely. Tonks blushed furiously and mumbled, “Sorry,” as Remus placed her upright again.

“It’s no problem,” he replied, removing his hands from her waist and shoving them instead inside his pockets, where they seemed to feel much more at home.

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Tonks cleared her throat and said, “Erm, I think they are expecting us to be inside actually, Remus, not wasting our time out here.”

“Right,” Remus said, opening the door so she could step inside. “Don’t fall,” he whispered to her, smiling. Tonks giggled, stepping carefully.

They walked together down the dark hallway leading to the kitchen, Tonks being sure to skirt around the troll leg umbrella stand that always tripped her up. When they reached it, they heard quiet voices talking together. Remus stepped in front of Tonks and tapped on the door lightly before pushing it open quietly.

Everyone looked up as they entered; their talking ceased abruptly. Muttering quick apologies to everyone, they slid inside, closed the door behind them and went to the two remaining seats at the end of the table, which happened to be by Sirius.

A man of around the same age as Remus, he looked gaunt, as spending twelve years in Azkaban had turned his face thin. After one year of being healthily nourished, however, his skin had seemed to get some of its old shine back, and some of the mischievous boy look gleamed in his eyes as he eyed Tonks and Remus while they sat down.

“So,” he began. “What have you two been doing all this time? Is it anything to do with-” He broke off abruptly, as Dumbledore had begun to speak.

“We now have the problem of the twelve escaped Death Eaters on our hands. Voldemort can now return back to full power rather quicker than expected with them at his side, especially since his most faithful servant-according to Severus- has returned to him: Bellatrix Lestrange.”

There was a sharp intake of breath to Remus’ right. Tonks looked at him as he gave her a puzzled look. In quiet tones, she began to whisper to him, a frown crossing her face very frequently.

“Bellatrix is my aunt from my mother’s side. I am sure she wants absolutely nothing more in the world than to kill Sirius and me, my mum and dad too. She is the absolute worst family member in the entire world, and I am so sorry to say that I am related to… to… a bitch like her.” Tonks frowned so deeply that Remus thought she may begin to cry. Then she straightened up again, staring stonily at the wall across from her.

Remus turned to Sirius, who was muttering furiously under his breath. “Of course you would know, you evil git! You were his faithful servant before, and probably still are. ‘Playing spy for the Order’ my arse! I will never believe that load of-”

“Sirius,” Remus whispered to his friend. “You may want to watch what you say with Dumbledore so near. He trusts Snape, and I trust whatever Dumbledore decides.”

Sirius scowled and stared straight ahead for the rest of the meeting.

Finally, after about twenty minutes, Dumbledore said, “Well, I must get back to the school. Our next meeting will be in three weeks, so make sure you are all on time.” His eyes fell on Remus and Tonks, who mouthed apologies, both blushing slightly embarrassedly. Dumbledore smiled and swept out of the kitchen, his shadow disappearing from the doorway in a matter of seconds.

Chairs began to slide out, a scraping noise filling the room as everyone began to get up and leave. Molly Weasley stood up and went over to Remus, Tonks and Sirius. “Are you lot going to stay for dinner?” she asked, smiling down at them.

“Yes,” Tonks and Remus answered in unison. Sirius rolled his eyes and scowled, mumbling, “Well, I don’t really have a choice to stay for dinner, do I? I’m only stuck in this God-forsaken place for the rest of my life until I’m cleared!” He pushed his chair out roughly and stalked off from the table, standing in solitude in a dark corner.

“All right, then,” Molly said. “So that will be dinner for me, Arthur, you two, and a very grumpy Sirius. Fred and George said that they would need to be getting back to their joke shop!”

“Do you need any help?” Remus asked, standing up.

“Oh, no, dear,” Molly smiled. “I’ve got it.” She began to bustle around, making the dinner.

Remus sat back down, staring at the table. Sirius came over and sat down, too, a grin playing at his features.

“So,” he began, eyeing Remus and Tonks closely. “Why on earth were you two late? And coming in at the same time, nonetheless.”

Tonks glared at Sirius, flashing her eyes from purple to brown. “We were both in Diagon Alley, and we happened to run into each other while we were, um, shopping.”

Sirius let out a laugh that sounded like a bark. “Shopping, right!” he exclaimed. “Like Remus has enough money to even come close to being able to shop for anything!”

Tonks took this as a personal offense and was about to open her mouth, but Remus cut her off, saying, “Fine, maybe I wasn’t exactly shopping. It was more… browsing, then stopping for a quick drink.”

“Right,” Sirius said. “But you can’t have had your drink alone, now could you? There had to be someone else, didn’t there?”

“It’s called other customers, Sirius,” Remus answered, laughing slightly. “If I was the only person there, I am sure that the business would be through with before I could say ‘Quidditch.’”

“Fine, but I am sure that there was someone else there other than you and the so-called ‘other customers.’” His eyes flashed to Tonks, who smiled politely. Sirius took this to mean that she was indeed there, and, so, thinking he had cornered Remus and Tonks, he let out a bark-like laugh, saying, “So, how was your date together? Did the prefect make it extremely boring for you, cousin?”

Remus’ eyes flashed to Tonks, whose cheeks were beginning to redden very slightly. He patted her hand under the table (a wrong move, as she blushed harder) and then looked up at Sirius, who looked to be bursting with trying to stop laughing. “No, Sirius. I can’t have been extremely boring, now could I, as this wasn’t a date. Tonks just happened to show up in Diagon Alley, and we met up- I mean, met each other in Quality Quidditch Supplies, where she very kindly reminded me about the Order meeting that we very nearly missed.” He glanced at Tonks, winking ever so slightly. “Isn’t that right, Nymphadora?”

Tonks nodded her head vigorously, saying, “Yes, that’s exactly what happened.” She paused for a second, then exclaimed, “And DON’T call me Nymphadora!! Ugh!”

Remus struggled to suppress a laugh. She was extremely funny to watch when she got angry or bothered about something, especially something so small and apparently trifling as her name. “Why?” he asked her. “Nymphadora isn’t that bad a name really, is it?”

Tonks glared at him, transfiguring her eyes to black. Remus found this effect quite shocking and hilarious, and turned away so that she wouldn’t catch him laughing at her. “Actually, it is the WORST name in the entire history of the world!” she answered him, her eyes now back to normal. “I mean, okay, my middle name isn’t too awful, but couldn’t my mum have just named me something normal, like Rose or Ruby, or something like that?”

“What is your middle name?” Remus asked, now clearly interested. “And, honestly, you don’t really seem like a Rose or a Ruby. It just doesn’t fit your personality.”

Sirius coughed loudly and fiercely, covering up what sounded like, “Or your apt to clumsiness!”

“Shut up, Sirius!” Tonks said, laughing. “And, Remus, my middle name is Elizabeth. It is just way too fancy for my tastes. If I ever have a child, they will receive boring names, so that they don’t have to be humiliated their whole lives by something so horrible as Nymphadora Elizabeth Tonks for a name.”

Remus smiled at her. “I rather like that name, to be honest. At least your name isn’t Remus John Lupin. It sounds far too common.”

“Ah, but you are common, aren’t you my friend?” Sirius asked, leaning his chair back on it’s back two legs, kicking his boots onto the table.

“Sirius!” Molly shrieked from the stove, where she was preparing stew. “As if there isn’t already enough grime and dirt in here without you mistreating the table like that!”

“Sorry Molly,” he said, putting his feet back onto the ground, rolling his eyes at the ceiling.

Remus chuckled, then his face fell into deep lines, a frown crossing it. “No, Sirius. I don’t believe I am all that common. Don’t you realise that werewolves are not common? Don’t you understand the reason that I am shunted from wizarding society is because there are not that many werewolves in the world?” He cut off, looking at his hands.

Tonks reached across the table and patted his hand. “Don’t worry,” she said, a sad smile flitting across her features. “I don’t mind the fact that you are a werewolf at all, and neither should the rest of society. I don’t believe Sirius does either, as he’s stuck by you for just about all your life.”

“Yeah,” Sirius said, becoming instantly serious. “And, neither did James, Lily or…” A devilish grin flitted across his face. “Neither, apparently did Dorcas Meadows!”

Tonks dropped her hand from off of Remus’, her jaw dropping at the same time. “Do you mean to tell me,” she asked, shock lining her voice, “that Remus here has actually had a girlfriend before? A woman that didn’t care at all about his werewolf ness, and, obviously, neither did he?”

Remus’ ears and cheeks were beginning to redden furiously as he listened to the conversation, not liking at all the direction in which it was going. Sirius laughed loudly and began to speak.

“Oh, yes!” he said triumphantly. “Remus did used to have a girlfriend in school. Yes, Dorcas was her name. She was in Ravenclaw, and nearly always abided by the rules; Prefect material.” He glanced at Tonks, who glanced at him, trying to hide her little bit of surprise at this news.

“Sirius, can we drop this?” Remus asked uncomfortably, his eyes staring at the table top, a flush creeping up his cheeks. “It doesn’t really matter if I’ve ever had a girlfriend or not. I am perfectly… happy at the moment. Do we really need to humiliate me by discussing my relationship in sixth year that lasted for two weeks?”

“Ah, well, Remus, when you put it that way,” Sirius answered, shifting to look at Remus, “I believe, yes, we do.” He let out another bark of laughter.

Tonks stared at both, unsure of what to say. Then, her mind came to her. “Sirius, just drop it. Dinner’s almost ready. Besides, you don’t have to ruin Remus’ life every chance that you get.”

Sirius looked appalled. “Am I really ruining your life Remus?”

Remus looked up at him, the corners of his mouth twitching. “No, Sirius, you aren’t. Well, at least not all of it!”

“Fine, you just take the fun out of everything, don’t you?” he grumbled. Then, he turned to face Tonks. “And I would have thought that you, of all people, considering that you are a Black cousin, would have wanted to play along. Dear God, I am shocked at you, Nymphadora!”

Tonks flared up, about to shriek at Sirius. But at that moment, Molly placed the stew in the middle of the table, cutting off their conversation and allowing them to all satisfy their hunger with her wonderful cooking.
Chapter 5: Doxies and Slyness by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Third time submitting this!!!! Stupid little commas and things I don't get... anyway... this is just a type of back story for the next chapter... a fill in, I guess... hope you enjoy!
The next morning, Tonks woke up in her dingy room on the third landing of Grimmauld Place. Stretching, she looked down at the foot of her bed and shrieked loudly and nearly toppled out of her bed in her haste to get up. There was a Doxy there, dead for possibly a few days, more than likely put in there by Kreacher.

“Sirius!” she screamed, wanting it out of there immediately. “Remus, someone come in here!”

At that moment, the door burst open, and Remus came hurtling in, followed closely by Sirius.

“Tonks, what is it?” Remus asked, hurrying over. “Are you hurt?”

Tonks pointed to the end of the bed, where the Doxy lay, decaying and rotting. Sirius followed where her finger pointed to and burst out laughing from where he stood by the door.

“You were screaming for that!?” he said, clutching his stomach. “Oh, dear God, the world is ending, there is a Doxy, dead none the less, lying at the foot of my bed, in a house that is full of these bloody creatures!”

“Sirius,” Remus said, turning to his friend. “Leave her alone, she obviously is terrified of them.” But a smile was playing at his lips as he helped Tonks get down from the bed.

“Just keep it away from me, that is all I ask!” she said, skirting a good five feet around it to reach her slippers.

Not trusting Sirius to do the job properly, Remus grabbed a tissue from Tonks’ bedside table and grabbed the Doxy to properly dispose of it. “Come on, Sirius,” he said as he reached the door, turning back to look at his friend. “Let’s go before Tonks has another breakdown with you in here and what you might do to torment her.”

Grudgingly, Sirius turned and walked out, following Remus down the stairs. Breathing heavily, Tonks turned to look at her reflection in her dirty, smudged up mirror. She could hardly see anything in it, so she took out her wand and murmured, “Scourgify!” The spell cleared a little space in the mirror, and she could see her face a bit better now. Her eyes looked extremely tired, and her hair stood on end.

“Damn!” she whispered, stretching a lock of her hair. “Why did he have to come in on my worst morning? I look like crap!”

Screwing up her eyes, Tonks concentrated on an electric blue bobbed hairstyle with pink highlights in her mind. When she opened her eyes, her reflection looked much better, and she liked this new look. Blue eyes, she thought, would make this so much better. Concentrating again, she now morphed her deep chocolate colored eyes into a sea blue color with pink speckles. “Now that I like!” she said, turning away and looking into her dresser to find something to wear.

Rummaging around in the messy drawers, Tonks decided that she would soon need to do a cleaning up of them. Finally, she found one of her Weird Sisters shirts (this also blue) that had the words Wizard Rock Lives emblazoned under the band name. She pulled on a pair of ripped jeans with this, deciding that robes were unnecessary on her day off from work. Yawning, she flicked her wand at the bed, which straightened itself up just a bit… for the most part, the sheets were still a shapeless lump from all her tossing and turning through the night. Sighing, Tonks turned away and descended down the stairs.

In a few minutes time, Tonks reached the kitchen, mercifully unscathed. She had come to a fold in the rug at the end of the staircase and had nearly lost her footing, but had somehow managed to keep herself from falling flat, though she couldn’t be sure that it wouldn’t happen again.

Remus and Sirius looked up as she entered the kitchen, stopping their conversation. Sirius took one look at her and said, “Don’t you look just a bit over-colored this morning, Tonks? For whose benefit is it? Could it be for Remus?”

Tonks glared daggers at Sirius and then took a seat at the table, saying, “Actually, it is just because I think that blue compliments my eyes today, and not to mention, today I feel like blue suits me, so really, it is for my benefit!”

Remus laughed, and quickly turned this into a cough as Sirius stared at him. “What the hell is so funny about that, Remus? Why are you laughing at Tonks?”

“Nothing,” Remus said, reddening slightly under Sirius’ raised eyebrows gaze. “I just think that Tonks is rather, erm, good at expressing herself, especially through colours. Oh, and I think that she is right in telling you off like that; other people should do that more often than not.”

Sirius sat back and rolled his eyes. “Whatever you say then, Remus… whatever you say,” he said, crossing his arms.

Tonks’ stomach suddenly grumbled loudly, and both Remus and Sirius stared at her, Remus nearly about to laugh.

“Sorry,” Tonks mumbled. “I haven’t eaten yet, and well, I always have to eat breakfast. What is there Sirius?” she asked, looking towards her cousin.

“Nothing,” he answered in a bored, non-expressional voice, fingering the top button on his jacket.

“That’s great to know,” Tonks said, sinking back into her chair as her stomach gave another low rumble. Then she jumped to her feet. “You know, I am just going to go and get something to eat instead.”

“Fine,” Sirius answered in the same voice. “Could you pick up some ice-cream and bring it back here, please?”

Tonks stared at him and said, “Sure, why not? I guess that means I will have to stop at the store too… Do either of you have Muggle money?”

Sirius shook his head and Remus said, “No, but I suppose we could go to Gringotts and get some…”

“We?” Tonks asked.

“Well, you aren’t going alone, are you? Besides, I am rather hungry myself,” Remus answered quietly, getting up from his seat, ignoring the questioning stare that Sirius was giving him as he edged his way around the table.

“Okay, well, come on then,” Tonks said, turning to exit the doorway. Remus followed closely behind her, grabbing his tattered jacket off of the coat rack that stood by the door.

“Hey,” Sirius called as they were making their way up the steps and into the hall. “Do you think you might pick up some butterbeer too?”

“Sure,” Tonks said, looking back and rolling her eyes, nearly tripping down the stairs. Remus quickly grabbed her hand to prevent this from happening. Tonks looked in his eyes for a few seconds, then dropped her hand quickly from his, blushing a furious crimson. From the kitchen, Sirius let out a bark of laughter.

“Come on, let’s go,” Remus whispered, before things could get truly out of hand. Tonks nodded and scurried up the last few steps and into the hall, trying not to look at Remus as he followed her.

As soon as she reached the door, Tonks wrenched it open and stepped into the sunshine-filled yard, looking down at the ground. A few seconds later, she heard a click as the door closed again, and Remus stepped down beside her. He pulled her silently into a hug, then let go quickly before she could become even more embarrassed. Clearing his throat, he said, “Shall we go then?” She nodded quietly, and the two fell into step as they began to make their way down the road.
End Notes:
Next up... the first date... I guess!
Chapter 6: A Morning Mishap by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Here is the sixth chapter. I had some trouble getting it in because of certain character problems, but I have now edited them, so hopefully, this time it will work. I made it more comedy-like now... Enjoy!
The start of the walk into town was sufficiently uneventful and a little awkward, and very few words were exchanged between Remus and Tonks as they kept pace with each other. Tonks’ mind was off in the distance, thinking of how she wouldn’t want to face Sirius once she and Remus arrived home, and what he would say, though this only made her feel worse. Apparently, it showed on her face, because Remus tapped her lightly and whispered, “Are you feeling alright?”

“I’m fine,” she answered, glancing up into his eyes and looking back down again quickly. She didn’t understand it. She had never felt this way around someone, so caught off of her guard… at least not since she was at Hogwarts. And even then, the times had been few and far between. “What makes you ask?”

“The look on your face,” Remus answered as they turned the corner onto the main street of the little town where Grimmauld Place was located. He looked down at her and laughed. “There it is again,” he replied in answer to the puzzled look she gave him. “Really, what’s on your mind?”

“Everything!” Tonks burst before she could think. “Well, I mean… ugh, I don’t know. It’s just… nothing makes sense anymore, at least not to me,” she continued in quieter tones than before. “And, other than that, I do not feel like facing Sirius later when we get home.”

Remus laughed again. “Oh, well, honestly, neither do I much. I mean, yes, he is a nice bloke and all, but once he sees something worth digging into and someone’s feelings worth messing with when he knows that they’ll forgive him, he gets a little… shall we say, rambunctious and takes a bit more advantage than he ought to.”

Tonks stared at Remus. “That is the longest bloody run-on sentence I have ever heard! What the hell?”

Remus stared at her quizzically and said in return, “Well, that is the most colourful hair that I have ever seen to walk the streets in sub-cities around London!”

Just then, a woman with a pink and blue tipped red Mohawk stepped outside a house to the left of them. Tonks smirked at Remus and said, “You were saying?” Remus laughed and shrugged. “You know, I could change my hair like that, if you want… but I’m afraid that then my outfit won’t match at all, and what a tragic disaster that would be!”

Remus couldn’t help himself from laughing again. The more time he spent with her, the more comfortable he felt, and able to just talk. In the back of his mind, he heard a little voice beginning to creep in, saying that he shouldn’t be acting like this and spending so much time around someone so beautiful and young, but he ignored it. He needed to have some fun anyway, and you could only call spending time with Sirius in his house fun for so long.

Just then, they reached the center of the main road, which branched off into two directions, one lined with little shops and a grocery store at the very end, the other with cafés and little restaurants. Remus was about to turn to the right branch where the store was located, but Tonks grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

“You know, I think I would rather go to a little breakfast café. We can go to the store later, because I am hungry now,” she said, and began to walk to the left at a brisk pace. Remus hurried to catch up with her.

“Well, where do you feel like going then?” he asked when he had reached her.

“Um, how about Madame Victoire’s? I could kill for one of their friands at the moment… maybe I should make that two.” And with that, she strode inside, forgetting to hold the door for Remus, who hit his nose on it, not realising how fast this door would swing shut.

“Ow!” he said in surprise, holding his hand over his nose.

Tonks turned around and gasped, “Oh my God! Remus, are you alright? Oh, it’s all my fault. Trust me to do something like that! If I’m not hurting myself, I guess that means I have to be hurting someone else! Damn my clumsiness!” She lifted Remus’ hand off of his nose and winced just as he did. “Ouch, that looks painful! Come outside, and let me fix it for you.”

Just then, a brunette waitress came over and asked in a French accent, “Do you need any ‘elp? We ‘ave a furst aid keet in ze back room, if you need it.”

Remus was about to say yes, but Tonks interrupted, “No, we’re fine. Let me just take him outside for a minute. We’ll be right back.” She pushed Remus back out the door, making sure she wouldn’t hit anyone else, including herself, on the way out.

“What the heck, Tonks? We could have used a first aid kit-”

“Quiet, and let me fix it!” she said, glancing around cautiously and then pulling out her wand. Remus started and backed away.

“Oh, stop! I promise, I’ve done this before. Nothing bad is going to happen, but this should fix you up.” Seeing he was about to protest, Tonks grabbed both his hands in one of hers in a surprisingly strong grip and pointed her wand at his nose. Remus closed his eyes as she said, “Episkey!” He opened his eyes to find Tonks smiling at him. She released his hands and said, “There, feel it. It should be fixed, good as new now.”

Gingerly, Remus placed his hands on either side of his nose and felt it softly. To his surprise, it was mended, where it had probably been broken moments before. “Thank you, Tonks!” he said, looking at her.

“No problem,” she answered, grinning. “We might want to get you washed up a bit though, you’ve still got blood stains on your face. We don’t want people thinking I beat you up, now do we?” She laughed and began to walk to the door, but then turned back again.

“You know, I don’t just fix noses for free,” she said, tapping her chin. “Hmm, I wonder how you could repay me…” Her eyes twinkled mischievously.

“Well, I am sorry, Nymphadora but I don’t seem to have any money at the moment,” Remus answered, looking down at her.

“Oh, not money… just a hug would be nice,” she answered.

Remus lifted his arms out and Tonks walked forward to him. He closed his arms around her in a hug for a few brief seconds.

“Thank you, that is much better, now that I have my payment.” She paused. “And, Remus, never call me Nymphadora!”

Remus laughed and walked to the door, this time holding it open for Tonks before walking in.

The brunette French greeted them again, and then gasped. “Oh, um do you need ze bazroom so zat you can clean up, sir?”

“Thank you, I’d quite appreciate that,” Remus answered, smiling.

“Just ‘ead straight to ze back, sir.” She turned to look at Tonks. “Would you like a table to wait for ‘im at, ma’am?”

Tonks nodded and followed the waitress to a small little table set for two. “’Ere you go. Is zere anyzing zat I may get for you?”

“Um, sure,” Tonks answered, picking up a menu. “Could I get some French Coffee and some of the chicken friand, please?”

“Of course,” the waitress said, then looked to the hall where the bathrooms were. “And, your friend, what would ‘e like?”

“Um, I’m not quite sure,” Tonks answered, puzzled. “Is he coming back yet?”

The waitress glanced over again, and said, “Yes, and ‘is face is much cleaner, now.”

Tonks giggled a little and then straightened up as Remus turned the corner and came to sit down. “Much better,” she said, looking up at his face and smiling. He returned her smile, then looked to the waitress. “Um, could I get some French Coffee and the, uh, chicken friand?”

“Sure,” she said. “So zat is ze same zing for ze two of you zen. It will be right out.”

“Thanks,” Tonks said, then turned to look at Remus. “You look much better without all that bloody crap on your face, you know that?”

He smiled, and then said, “You do realise that I wouldn’t even have had that crap on my face to begin with if it wasn’t for your smoothness in being clumsy and forgetful of others around you.”

Tonks smirked back and slapped his hand, then sighed. “I am so sorry about that. Did it hurt much?” Then, she sighed again, before he could answer. “Wow, that was a stupid question! Of course it hurt… I bloody broke your nose.”

“True, you did, but you also repaired it right away. I will have to remember that spell from now on, in case you aren’t always around to help with broken bones.”

“Only minor ones,” she replied. “I have never tried it on major breaks, and really, I am afraid to, because I may end up hurting someone else in the process. And then, I would feel even worse.”

“We can work on that,” Remus replied, then looked over to the counter. “Ah, it looks like our food is ready.”

“Good!” Tonks replied. “I am just about starved!”

“’Ere you go madam and sir,” the waitress said as she placed the two meals on the table. She turned and grabbed two coffee mugs from the counter. “And ‘ere is your coffee. Is zere anyzing else I can get you?”

“No, nothing, thanks,” Tonks said, smiling.

“Okay, just tell me if you need anyzing,”

“Sure, no problem,” Tonks answered, her smile becoming strained.

As soon as the witch was gone, Tonks grabbed her fork and furiously stabbed at the friand laying on her plate. Remus chuckled at her.

“What?” Tonks said through a mouth of the burning hot friand. “Ow, ow… okay, maybe a bit much food when it is hot.” She gulped down some water as soon as the burning chicken had slid down her throat. Rubbing her throat, she looked at Remus and asked, “Now, what was so funny about that? That bloody burned!”

Remus looked apologetically at Tonks. “It wasn’t the fact that it burned your throat; why would I laugh at that? It was just with the amount of gusto that you forced that poor dead bird and croissant into your mouth.” He smiled.

“It wasn’t that funny, Remus,” Tonks said, looking sheepishly up at him from behind thick lashes. “Ah, and now I have singed taste buds… and that was some good friand too…”

“Well, maybe next time, you should let it cool down for a few seconds, Tonks,” Remus said, smiling. “You could have gone one minute without the food, couldn’t you?”

“Um, uh… I guess,” Tonks said, blushing. “God, I never do seem to be able to keep my head, do I, Remus; at least, not when the pressure is on me.”

Remus smiled at her, shaking his head slightly. “No, Tonks, I am afraid that you never do. You always seem to let spill something or do something silly when you are nervous.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, looking up.

“Why are you sorry?” Remus asked her. “We all have our little problems, and they tend to show when we are nervous. For example, and not at all to be rude, your clumsiness seems to come out when you have something on your mind.”

“Well, that must be constantly, because can you think of a day since the day we met that you haven’t seen me fall, or heard of me tripping over a spec of dust!?” she asked, laughing. “Seriously, the day we met, when I first joined the Order, didn’t I trip and almost fall on you? I mean, thank God you were there to catch me… though I do believe I knocked you over anyway.”

“Yes, I do believe you did,” Remus answered. “Oh, and by the way, I do believe your food is cool enough for you to devour it, now.”

“Oh, I had almost forgotten about it,” Tonks said, grabbing her fork and piercing the friand. “Oh, that is delicious. Thankfully, my taste buds still work.”

Remus smiled and then picked up his own fork, beginning to eat his food too. “Oh, that is good. I have never had the chicken friand before.”

Tonks just nodded, as her mouth was stuffed with food. Remus shook his head and looked down at his plate; he spit out his food.

Tonks swallowed hurriedly, then gasped, “Remus! What the hell was that for?!” She began to brush food off of her hands and then pushed her plate away from her. “Thanks for that! Eew!”

Remus just shoved his plate forward for Tonks to see. “Oh my God!” she said, as she stared at a dead roach embedded in the friand. “Oh my God, that is disgusting!”

Remus nodded and replied, “You aren’t kidding. You know, I think that we should ask for the manager.” He stood up and walked to the front, where a cashier stood.

“Yeah, how can I help you?” the teenage boy behind the register asked in an annoyed voice. He had black hair with a stripe of blue, along with an eyebrow, ear and nose piercing.

“Um, could I speak to the manager, please?” Remus asked, smiling.

“Coming up,” the boy answered, then turned and yelled, “Hey! Could we get Artie up here?”

A man in a suit walked up and, in a stuffed-up voice, said, “I am Arthur Francois, the manager. How may I help you this morning?”

“Um, could you come to the table where the woman with the blue hair is sitting, please?” Remus asked. “There seems to be a problem.”

“Surely, sir, whatever I can do,” Arthur answered, and he followed Remus over to where Tonks was sitting, staring at Remus’ plate in disgust.

“Hello, madam, my name is Arthur Francois, manager of Madam Victoire’s,” Arthur said, looking at Tonks. “What is the problem here?”

Tonks pointed to Remus’ plate, a sick look on her face. “There’s a dead roach in his food.”

Arthur came around and looked at the friand. “Oh, dear!” he exclaimed. “How on Earth did that happen?”

“Well,” Remus said, sitting down by Tonks, looking at her and smiling. “I think, and I am only guessing here, that there was a roach crawling in the kitchen, and it must have slipped into the friand and, well, got cooked.”

“Or,” Tonks said, looking up at Arthur. “Perhaps a cook was just careless and didn’t realise a roach fell in. There could also be the fact that perhaps a health inspector neglected his duties when he last came in and didn’t see a roach problem. There are actually many theories for this.”

She looked to Remus and saw that he was choking back a smile. Then, Arthur spoke.

“My dear Sir and Madame,” he said, picking up the plate. “Let me go ahead and take this for you and get you another.”

“No,” Remus said, smiling. “We just would like a refund. I don’t believe that I am hungry any longer, and, neither is Tonks.”

“What are you saying?!” Tonks asked, grabbing her plate. “I am starving. You go ahead and get your refund, but I’m eating my food.”

Remus leaned into her and whispered in her ear. It sent shivers up her spine. “Tonks,” he began. “Don’t you think that if there was a roach in my food, there could be... other unpleasant things in yours?”

Once he pulled away, it took Tonks a moment to recover. Then she said, “Arthur, I agree with Remus. I’ll just take a refund, and we will be on our way, thank you.”

“Of course, Madame; sir,” Arthur said, taking up both plates in his hand and walking over to the kitchen.

As soon as he was out of sight, Remus and Tonks burst into fits of giggles.

“Wow!” Tonks said. “We came up with some of the lamest excuses ever for that. I also think that it is kind of comical about the roach, at least when I forget how absolutely disgusting it is!”

Remus smiled at her. “I know what you mean,” he said.

Tonks leaned over and hugged him. He nearly pulled away, but then he realised that it felt right, and he returned it.

Arthur came back to the table and handed Tonks two five pound bills. “Here you go, Madame,” he said. “I can assure you most sincerely that an incident like this will not happen again.”

“Thank you, Sir,” Tonks said. “Now, I think we will be on our way.” She stood up from the table and nearly knocked it over. “Sorry,” she said. Then, she walked away to the door, going outside and waiting for Remus.

“Thank you, Sir,” Remus said, then went directly to the door. He opened it to find Tonks leaning against the wall.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Yes, let’s go,” she said, quietly slipping her hand into Remus’. To her surprise, he didn’t pull away, and the two made their way back to Grimmauld Place.
End Notes:
Please review! I want to know what you think of this!
Chapter 7: A Bitter Taste of War by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Here is chapter seven. Most of it takes place in the Department of Mysteries at the first battle. I hope you enjoy it! Review it, please, and tell me what you think!
Remus and Tonks arrived back at Grimmauld Place to find some other members of the Order of the Phoenix at headquarters. Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Mad-Eye Moody were in the kitchen with Sirius, holding a discussion with their heads bent towards each other.
“What do you think is going on?” Tonks whispered to Remus, peeking her head around the corner. He shrugged.

Tonks stepped quietly into the kitchen. “Kingsley, Mad-Eye, Sirius,” she began, her voice shaking slightly. “What’s going on?”

Their discussion stopped immediately. Kingsley looked over to Tonks and said, “The war has officially begun.”

Tonks gasped. “What? What do you mean? Aren’t we already in the middle of the war-”

“No,” Kingsley cut her off. “This is truly the war. The kids- Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and two others- are at the Ministry of Magic at this moment, fighting off Death Eaters, we believe.”

“No!” Remus exclaimed, hurrying over to the table, pulling Tonks with him. “That can’t be true, they wouldn’t go there, would they?”

“It appears they already have!” Moody barked, his magical eye swiveling to look through the table, to where Tonks’ hand clutched Remus’. She saw this and quickly pulled it out of his.

“But, what would cause them to decide to go there on a whim?” Tonks asked. “Don’t they understand that this is so incredibly dangerous it could cost them their lives?”

Sirius spoke now. “You know, Tonks, I think they do know that. But, I am also sure that Harry believes that he has to fight for his friends, and, apparently, they want to fight for him too.”

“Yes, I am sure that is the case,” Moody said gruffly. “Now that we have established that, the four of us need to be on our way to help the kids with this damn mess!” He turned to look at Remus and Tonks. “Do you have your wands with you? You’d better, missy, being an Auror!”

Remus and Tonks pulled their wands out from their pockets and showed them to Moody.

“Great!” he barked, then stood up. “Alright you three, let’s go!”

“Wait one bloody minute,” Sirius said, standing up, a look of fury in his eyes. “Don’t any of you damn go anywhere without me!”

“Sirius, you have to stay here,” Kingsley said. “I am sorry, but considering you still haven’t been cleared by the Ministry-”

“I don’t give a damn about me being cleared by the bloody Ministry or not!” Sirius yelled, looking at the other four. “Look, Harry is my godson, and I haven’t exactly been around for him in times before this. Now is my chance to show him, and I am not going to just sit back on my arse and wait for him to possibly die, or just let you people defend him! I can’t jus sit here, not knowing what is happening!”

“Sirius,” Remus said, going over to his friend. “Look, there is already a chance that one of us is going to be killed there, Harry doesn’t need you dead too. You are the only family he has left.”

“I know,” Sirius said, tears in his eyes now. “That is why I have to go. I don’t give a damn about any person at the Ministry who could catch me. I don’t give a damn about any damned Death Eater. All I care about is that I need to defend Harry… and if that means I die in the process, so be it!”

Moody shook his head and barked, “Alright then. If we want to have any chance of saving these kids and kicking some Death Eaters’ arses, then we had best get a move on and get out of this bloody house!”

Remus, Tonks, Kingsley and Sirius ran after Moody to the door. All five of them flew out of it, Tonks toppling over Remus and falling to the ground.

“Ow!” she yelled, rubbing her arm. Kingsley reached down a hand and pulled her up.

“Are you okay?” he asked her in his deep voice.

She nodded, wincing as she did so. “I’ll be fine,” she said. “Let’s just go before we seriously run out of time for these poor kids.”

Tonks looked down to see Remus lying at her feet. “Oh, God, Remus, I am so sorry!” She reached down and helped pull him up.

“Thanks,” he murmured.

“Alright, now that everyone is done falling down and tripping over people,” Moody began, glaring at Tonks. “Now, let’s get a move on! We don’t have all this time to just waste like this!”

“Well, Mad-Eye, if that is the case, then why don’t you just stop lecturing us so that we can leave?” Tonks yelled.

“You know what, Missy-” Moody began, but was cut off by Sirius.

“She’s right,” Sirius said. “Harry and the others need our help, and we are bloody wasting time by yelling at each other. We need to get going right now!!”

Moody looked in silence from Sirius to Tonks; he had never been addressed like that by the two of them, and wouldn’t put up with it. “Look here!” he began, but Tonks and Sirius both yelled, “Shut up!” at the same time.

“Listen, Moody,” Kingsley said. “You are the one wasting our valuable time here, by yelling at them for yelling at you. You ought to just drop it and let us be on our way to help these poor kids!”

“Fine!” Moody barked. “Let’s be on our way then, to help these kids out of this mess they’ve gotten themselves into.”

“Mad-Eye, do you know exactly where they are?” Remus asked.

“No,” Moody said gruffly. “But I have a feeling that they aren’t in the main part of the Ministry. More than likely where no one would find them except for Death Eaters or someone on duty.”

“Do you mean the Department of Mysteries?” Tonks asked timidly.

“Yes, that is exactly what I mean,” Moody answered. He surveyed the four of them. “Look, Potter’s already had dreams with the Department of Mysteries, we know that. How else would we have found Arthur that night? The only logical thing is that he somehow had another, shall we say, vision that had to do with the Department. I say that is where we head. Agreed?” He surveyed all of them with his magical eye. The other four nodded.

“Let’s go then!” Moody said, turning on the spot and Disapparated.

Next, Kingsley turned, followed immediately by Sirius.

“Shall we?” Remus asked, looking to where Tonks stood; but all he saw was the last of a cloak spinning. Quickly, he turned and Apparated to the Department of Mysteries.

They arrived at the entrance to an eerie quietness.

“What do we do now?” Tonks whispered.

“Look,” Kingsley said, pointing to a black door at the end of a corridor. “That should be it.”

Sirius strode forward and pushed the door open. “Come on you guys!” he yelled over his shoulder. “Hurry up! I think this is it!”

Kingsley, Mad-Eye, Tonks and Remus rushed forward and into the room Sirius stood in. The walls formed a circle with around a dozen doors on them. Blue flames were all around on torches, forming an eerie and strange sort of blue glow.

Sirius strode to the door straight in front of him. He pushed it open quietly. In front of him, there was a room with a tank full of brains in the center. “Everyone, follow me,” he said, stepping inside the room quietly. “Look, all we need to do is see if we can see any Death Eaters or the kids around here, got it?”

The other four stepped quietly into the room, then split up. Remus and Tonks went together, looking in corners, behind shelves and under large objects for any sign of a Death Eater or one of the kids.

“Do you see them anywhere?” Tonks whispered, looking at Remus.

“No,” he replied. “But, it does look like they were in here before.” He pointed to a few shelves that had fallen down.

“Where do you think they could be then?” she asked, looking over her shoulder.

“I don’t know,” Remus answered. “I think that we ought to leave, though. There’s nothing here.”

“Psst!” Tonks hissed from where she stood. “Sirius! We need to get out of here. There’s no one.”

Remus and Tonks slid out from behind the shelves and ran over to the door, motioning everyone out.

The five met up in the room again.

“Alright,” Sirius said, looking at the others with worry. “We need to hurry. Come on!” He strode to a door to the left of where he stood and pushed it open.

“Oh my God!” he said, motioning the other four forward. He was looking down at a scene of battle about one hundred feet below where they stood. In the center, he found Harry, battling head on with Lucius Malfoy.

At once, all five of the adults sprinted into the room. Tonks shouted, ”Stupefy!”, stunning Lucius before he could get in a good hit at Harry.

“No!” Bellatrix Lestrange shrieked, turning away from Neville Longbottom and turning her attention to where the five adults were, rushing down the steps, sending spell after spell at the Death Eaters, who were all taken by shock.

Bellatrix kicked Neville and then rushed forward, sending curses up into the stands of the auditorium-like room where the Order members were running. Sirius was closest to the bottom, so Bellatrix chose to fire her first curse at him. He dodged it and jumped the last few steps, running over to fight Rookwood.

Kinglsey and Moody ran forward next, immediately getting into a duel with two other Death Eaters.

Remus looked back at Tonks, but she yelled, “Go!” to him, as she was now in full battle with Bellatrix.

Remus leaped the steps four at a time until he reached the bottom, beginning a fierce duel with Rodolfus Lestrange.

Lestrange grinned wickedly at Remus as he sent curses flying in Remus’ direction. Remus was fighting as hard as he possibly could, but he was still evenly matched with Lestrange, possibly a little bit less.

Suddenly, Remus heard a scream from above him. He turned quickly to see Tonks falling down the stone steps, her body limp, her blue hair flying out behind her.

No! Remus thought. Not Tonks, please not Tonks! Dear God, please don’t let her be dead…

He wasn’t able to concentrate any longer, but he knew he must, for his friends’ sakes and for the kids.

He turned back to face Lestrange, but then saw that he was in a heated battle with Sirius, along with Rookwood. Remus dashed forward to help, casting any spell he could think of that would possibly hurt them as much as they had hurt him.

“Well, buddy,” Sirius shouted to Remus. “Looks like this could be one of our last battles!”

“What the hell do you mean by that?” Remus shouted back.

“Oh, did I really say that?” Sirius asked. “What I meant was, it is time to kick some lazy, scummy Death Eater arse!”

They now stood in front of a dais with a veil draped on it. The battle was becoming vicious between the four of them, not including what was happening all around them. Flashes of red, green and golden light raced by in every direction.

Suddenly, a voice shouted “Dubbledore!”, cutting through all other sound. Remus didn’t know what it meant, and he didn’t have the time to look away at the moment.

Then, out of nowhere, Bellatrix appeared next to Lestrange and Rookwood, casting curses far fiercer than the other two had yet used on Sirius and Remus. The two fought back hard, Sirius laughing all the while.

“Come on!” he taunted her. “Is that the best you’ve got?”

Not a moment after he said it, a flash of green hit him in the chest, and Sirius fell gracefully, slowly into the veil.

“No!” Remus shouted over Bellatrix’s loud, maniacal cackles. "Sirius!" He began to cry. He couldn’t lose both Sirius and possibly Tonks, too.

Suddenly, Harry ran out from where he and Neville had apparently been hiding during the battle. Remus met him at the dais, grabbing his arms to restrain him from running to the veil, where surely only death awaited.

“Let me go!” Harry shouted, using all the force he could muster to free himself from Remus’ grasp.

“Harry,” Remus said, trying to choke back tears. “Harry, listen, he's gone."

“No he isn’t,” Harry yelled. “He’s still there- Just on the other side! Let me go!” He fought harder to get away, but Remus held him tighter.

“Harry, listen to me,” Remus said, tearfully. “He’s gone. He’s not on the other side. She killed him.” Tears were now falling freely down his face, and he didn't bother to even try to stop them.

Harry finally stopped fighting as realization set in. Then, he saw Bellatrix running away and ran after her.

Remus ran after him, yelling, “Harry! You must stay back!”

“No!” Harry yelled, running faster. “She killed him! Now, I’ve got to kill her!”

Remus chased after him, but stopped at the room with the doors, as he heard a shout from behind him. He looked back and saw Kingsley calling his name.

Kingsley was now battling Dolohov, Lestrange and Rookwood by himself. Lucius Malfoy still lay unconscious on the ground from when Tonks had stunned him, but he could be waking up at any minute.

Remus joined in the battle with Kingsley, praying in his mind that Harry had enough sense not to go after Bellatrix and that somehow he would remain safe.

Dolohov sent a curse flying in Remus’ direction. Remus yelled, ”Protego!”, managing to deflect the curse at the last second. Rookwood and Lestrange were now battling just Kingsley. Remus sent a stunning spell in their direction quickly, then turned back to Dolohov.

Remus and Kingsley managed to hold off the last three Death Eaters until workers from the Ministry arrived with Dementors to arrest the Death Eaters.

Once they were taken away, Remus ran over to where Tonks lay in the stands. He bent down close to her.

“Tonks!” he said, shaking her. “Tonks, wake up. Tonks, the battle’s done.” He looked around desperately. “Nymphadora, wake up!” He shook her a bit more, but she wouldn’t budge.

“Kingsley!” he yelled, looking over his shoulder.

Kingsley ran up the steps, saying, “Remus, what is it?” He looked down to Tonks and said, “We may want to get her to the Hospital Wing at Hogwarts. Come on,” he said, lifting her up. “Help me get her out of here.”

Remus stood up, then bent down, grabbing Tonks by the arms, helping Kingsley carry her out of the Department of Mysteries.

“Do you know what happened to her?” Kingsley asked, breathing heavily.

“Bellatrix hit her with a curse,” Remus replied softly. “I don’t know what it was though.” He studied the way Kingsley was moving more carefully. “Kingsley, do you think you will need the Hospital Wing too?”

Kingsley nodded his head. “How much farther till we get out of here, do you think?”

“I don’t know,” Remus said. “Do you think it would be okay if we just Apparated to Hogsmeade from here?”

Before Kingsley could answer, there was a shout from over by a fireplace.

“Hey!” a woman yelled, running over to Remus and Kingsley. “You two, do you need to get somewhere with that woman?”

“Um, yes,” Remus answered, puzzled.

The woman led them over to a fireplace. “Here, you can use the Floo Network, alright?”

“But, aren’t all the fireplaces being watched?” Kingsley asked.

“Well, this is an emergency,” the woman answered. “Besides, I can hook this fireplace up to any one you want, since I work here; you’ll just need to hurry. Where is it that you need to go?”

“We need the Hogwarts Hospital Wing,” Remus answered.

“Okay,” the woman said, and she turned around to connect the Floo Network. After a few minutes, she turned back and said, “Okay, now if one of you men wants to go with the girl, just step in here. Take the powder like you would do normally, but make sure you hold her tight, so that she doesn’t get off course.” The woman held out a pot filled with Floo Powder.

Remus stepped forward, taking Tonks with him. He reached out his hand and placed it into the pot, bringing it out with a handful of a glittery powder. Making sure he had Tonks firmly, he stepped into the fireplace.

He adjusted Tonks one more time against him, then threw the powder down and yelled, “Hogwarts Hospital Wing!” He left Kingsley and the woman behind, spinning fast, catching glimpses of other grates before he and Tonks finally landed at the Hospital Wing.
Chapter 8: Realisation Hits the Hospital Wing by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Well, maybe the third times the charm... This chapter got rejected twice, the second time which didn't make any sense, because of a part of chapter seven that made one part true, and because of a Madam Pomfrey quote as well... Either way...

This one basically focuses on Remus and how he is coping with an unconcious Tonks in the Hogwarts Hospital Wing... Hope you enjoy it!!!

Please, read and review!
A shriek erupted from over by a bed as soon as Remus and Tonks landed in the Hospital Wing grate.

“Who goes there?” a scared female voice asked.

“Remus Lupin, with Nymphadora Tonks,” Remus answered, staying where he was. “We’ve come from the Ministry of Magic, where a battle has just taken place.”

Madam Pomfrey bustled over from a patient’s bed and gasped. “Professor Lupin, is that really you?” she asked.

“Yes,” Remus answered. “And, Kingsley Shacklebolt is on his way, too. He got hit with a curse, just like Nymphadora.”

Madam Pomfrey looked at Remus’ arms and gasped again. “Take her to a bed,” she commanded, just as Kingsley spun into view in the grate, with two of the kids, Hermione and Luna, both unconscious, held tight at his sides..

Remus took Tonks over to a bed by a large window. When he lay her down, the moonlight fell across her face, making it shine in beauty, even with the few scratches from her fall.

After he lay both Hermione and Luna on beds, Kingsley came over and asked, “Is she going to be okay?” He looked down at her.

“I don’t know,” Remus said, choking back a lump in his throat. “Madam Pomfrey hasn’t said anything yet.”

Kingsley looked down at her again. “Well, I do hope she is fine. She is too young for death, and-”

“Kingsley, get in that bed, immediately!” Madam Pomfrey hissed from where she stood, preparing some sort of potion.

Kingsley lay down in the bed beside Tonks’. Remus pulled up a chair and set it between the two, though nearer to Tonks’.

“Do you know what curse it is that Lestrange hit you with?” Remus asked once Kingsley was laying down.

“I’m really not sure,” Kingsley answered. “But, apparently it wasn’t that bad; I’m still able to walk and carry Tonks, aren’t I?”

Remus just shrugged. He looked over to Tonks again. She didn’t yet know of Sirius’ death, and he knew her heart would hurt so much once she found out. He reached out his hand slowly and pushed a strand of hair from over her closed eyes.

Madam Pomfrey bustled over at that moment. “Remus, do you know what it is that happened to Nymphadora?” She looked over to Kingsley. “Kingsley, do you know what happened to these two?” She gestured to her left, where two beds were now occupied by Hermione and Luna.

“I don’t know,” Remus said quietly. “I just know that we were there, and she was battling Bellatrix Lestrange. Bella’s curse struck her, and then she fell down the stairs.”

“And I don’t know what happened to Hermione or this young girl,” Kingsley answered. “I believe they were out before we got there.”

Madam Pomfrey went to the side of Tonks and grabbed her wrist. “Well, there’s a pulse there, that’s for sure,” she said. Then, she turned to Remus. “Why don’t you go ahead and go to an open bed? Get some rest. I don’t know what happened to her or Kingsley, but as soon as I know, I’ll tell you.”

Remus knew it was pretty pointless to argue with Madam Pomfrey, so he obeyed her and went to an unoccupied bed two spaces away from where Tonks was.

Madam Pomfrey began examining her, feeling for bruises and broken bones. Remus lay awake, knowing that, even if he wanted to, there was no way he would be able to sleep after the hellacious night he had just experienced.

Once Madam Pomfrey finished with Tonks, she went over to Hermione and Luna’s beds, and began examining them as she had Tonks.

Then, she went over to where Kingsley lay. She began examining him, all the while talking to him in hushed tones. After about five minutes, she took out her wand, conjuring up her patronus “ a hen “ and relaying a message to it.

“Kingsley Shacklebolt, Auror, will be arriving at Saint Mungo’s in a few moments via the Floo Network. He will need a bed in the spells ward.”

She sent the patronus to Saint Mungo’s next, then bustled back to Kingsley. “We’re going to take you up to the office of Dolores Umbridge, as that is the only grate not being monitored at the moment. Come on, up you get.”

She turned to where Remus lay. Seeing that he was awake, she went over to him and whispered, “Kingsley is going to Saint Mungo’s. They should be able to get rid of the curse. I need you to give that student over there her potion in a second; just one spoonful. After that, just keep an eye on her and Nymphadora until I am back.”

Remus nodded in response, saying, “Sure. Anything else?”

“No,” Madam Pomfrey said, then turned to Kingsley, motioning him forward. Then the two left the ward, and Remus slowly got up.

First, he went to Tonks’ bed, just to look at her for a second. Then, he turned away and walked over to the only other occupied bed in the ward, where a short, stocky figure of a girl lay. Remus picked up the potion off of her bedside table and grabbed the spoon beside it. He poured the potion into the spoon, then turned to face the girl. She, like the other occupants in this wing, was unconscious.

Carefully, Remus spooned the potion into her mouth, then set the bottle and spoon back onto her table. He then walked back to where Tonks lay and sat in the chair again. He grabbed her hand in his. It felt like it was broken. He ran his fingers lightly over her wrist, and then up her arm. Her entire arm seemed like it was broken.

Remus looked up to Tonks’ face. There were quite a few scratches on it, a few that were bleeding still. He looked on the bedside table and grabbed a tissue. Gently, he placed it on a cut along her cheek and dabbed at the blood. He did the same for the cuts on her forehead and lip, also the one on her neck.

When he finished, he threw the tissue into the trash bin beside the bed. He stroked her hair, gently pulling it back from her face. He leaned down and pressed his lips softly to her smooth cheek; her skin was so soft under his lips’ touch.

Then he heard footsteps coming from the hall. Quickly, he stood up and walked back over to his bed, reaching it just as the Hospital Wing doors were flung open.

Madam Pomfrey had arrived back, only this time, she wasn’t alone. Ginny Weasley, supported by Neville Longbottom, and Ron Weasley, laughing hysterically, and with odd-shaped scars running down his arms, face and neck, all walked in. They were followed by Moody, apparently not hurt badly from the battle, even though he had been defeated by Dolohov.

“Alastor,” Madam Pomfrey said, turning to Moody, “If you would kindly and cooperatively lay yourself on a bed and let me make sure that you-”

Moody cut her off, saying, “Madam Pomfrey, I am perfectly fine. I’ve been in worse patches of trouble than this. Don’t worry about me; it’s the kids who need attending to.”

He turned to Ginny and Neville, asking, “Are you kids going to be all right? Is Ron?”

Ginny nodded, then said, “We don’t know what happened to Ron though. Hopefully he’ll be fine.”

Moody nodded, then turned and walked out of the Hospital Wing.

“Mr. Longbottom,” Madam Pomfrey said, addressing Neville. “Could you please help Ms. Weasley over there, on the bed on the other side of Nymphadora, please?”

“She means Tonks,” Ginny said softly, “the girl with the blue hair.”

“Oh,” Neville said stuffily, then guided Ginny over to the bed Kingsley had occupied previously.

Neville then went to the bed next to Ginny, sitting down and doing nothing.

After Madam Pomfrey had settled Ron into the bed next to Luna, given him a sleeping potion and dabbed a potion over his wounds, she walked over to Neville.

“Let me see that nose,” she said. She took out her wand, murmured, ”Episkey!” and then used a scouring charm to clean up the blood. Then, she gave Neville a sleeping potion. “I want you to drink this, and you’ll have a peaceful, dreamless sleep.” Neville took it slowly out of her hand, then raised it to his lips.

Madam Pomfrey turned away and walked over to where Ginny lay. “What is it that happened to you, dear?” she asked.

“My ankle,” Ginny whispered. “I think it’s broken.”

“Ah, again with the broken bones,” Madam Pomfrey said. She took out her wand and mended Ginny’s ankle, then handed her the sleeping potion. Ginny took it gratefully, and gulped it down.

Next, Madam Pomfrey went over to Hermione. “Do you two know what happened to her?” she asked aloud. “Kingsley couldn’t tell us.”

“We don’t know,” Neville answered groggily. “The Death Eater used some sort of purple flame curse on her.”

“Okay,” Madam Pomfrey said, then went to where she kept her potions. She pulled one out and then poured some into a cup. She walked back over to Hermione, opening her mouth and tipping the potion carefully into it. In a few seconds, Hermione let out a shuddering breath, then began to breathe evenly again. “That should leave her knocked out for some time now,” Madam Pomfrey said, then bustled over to Luna.

“What happened to her?” she asked again.

Ginny answered this time. “She flew and hit a desk, then became unconscious. I’m not sure if she got a curse or not.”

Madam Pomfrey used her wand and ran it over Luna, almost like a metal detector. “No, she seems fine, just knocked out, apparently.” Still, Madam Pomfrey tipped a bit of the sleeping potion into her mouth, and her breathing became even again.

“Okay, that takes care of the kids,” she said, then walked over to where Tonks lay. She looked to Remus. “Was there any change with her while I was gone?”

“No,” Remus said. “But, I did notice that she might have a broken arm, from her hand on up to her shoulder, on the left side.”

“Yes, I realised that too,” Madam Pomfrey said. “She also has a broken rib, possibly two, and her ankle may be broken, as well. You said she was hit by a curse, too, didn’t you?”

Remus nodded.

“I think it is best if we just send her to Saint Mungo’s, also,” she said, thinking. She pulled out her wand again, and sent another patronus to Saint Mungo’s, this time about Tonks.

“Remus,” she said, once she had sent off the patronus. “Could you please carry her up to Dolores’ office for me? You may have to travel to Saint Mungo’s with her, I’m afraid.”

“Sure,” Remus said. Gently, he put an arm under Tonks’ knees and upper back, then lifted her up carefully.

“Alright, come on,” Madam Pomfrey said, then stopped. “Wait, you know where Dolores’ office is, don’t you? It is the same one you used two years ago. Do you need me to come with you, or can I stay with my patients?”

“I’ll manage,” Remus replied. He turned and pushed open the doors to the Hospital Wing, then stepped out into the moonlit hallway.

He walked down the eerily quiet halls, all the time thinking about Sirius and Tonks, his last remaining best friend, and the woman who he had unwillingly fallen in love with; the woman who’s heart he would soon have to break.
Chapter 9: Desperation and Suspicion by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Here is chapter nine... all from Remus' PoV again, considering Tonks was unconcious for probably a few days... Hope you like it!!

Please read and review! I want to know what you think! Constructive Criticism is appreciated!!
Remus reached his old office in five minutes. The door was unlocked, so he just pushed his weight against it and walked through. Right across from the doorway was the fireplace, with a flowerpot of Floo Powder to the left. Remus set Tonks down on the chair by the desk, then walked over and stuck his hand into the flowerpot, pulling it out with a handful of the glittery powder.

He walked back over to where Tonks lay sprawled in the chair. Carefully, he picked her up again, then walked over to the fireplace. He threw the powder into the fireplace and shouted “Saint Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries!”, the echo of his voice sounding eerie as he and Tonks spun out of sight.

Seconds later, they landed in the fireplace in the front area of Saint Mungo’s. A blonde reception witch ran over, her heels making little tap-tap sounds on the tile.

“Oh,” she said, peering down at Tonks. “Is this Nymphadora?”

“Tonks,” Remus said, carrying her over to the desk, where the witch resumed her spot. “She’s called Tonks.”

“Okay, then, Ms. Nymphadora Tonks,” the witch said. “What happened to her exactly?

“Well,” Remus said, struggling now to hold Tonks up. “Um-”

“Why don’t we just get a stretcher for you to put her on, and we can talk on the way up, ‘kay?” the witch asked, flicking her wand so a stretcher appeared beside Remus.

Carefully, he placed Tonks on the stretcher, catching her head so it wouldn’t smack the material. He lay her left arm on the material gently, not wanting to fracture it any more than it already was.

“Alright, hun, let’s go,” the witch said, flicking her wand again so that the stretcher moved. “Now, what is it that has happened to her?”

Remus gently placed his hand on Tonks’, and answered. “Well, we were fighting a battle and she was hit with a curse and fell down some stairs. Her entire left arm seems shattered, and two ribs and an ankle are possibly broken, also.” Remus used his free hand to tuck a loose strand of hair behind Tonks’ ear, stroking her cheek before replacing his hand at his side.

“Okay,” the witch said as they turned a corner, going up a staircase. “I think we are going to put her in the same ward as Mr. Shacklebolt, considering we don’t know what curse it is that was used on her yet.”

They ascended up some more stairs, then turned into a hallway lined with doors. The witch turned to the first one on the left, then said, “This is our room that has no one staying in it. We can give it to Ms. Tonks.” She tapped the doorknob with her wand, and the door opened up.

“Just place her on any bed in here,” the witch said, stopping the stretcher in the center of the room. Remus lifted Tonks out of the stretcher gently, and turned towards a bed by the only window, where you could see the near-full moon shining brightly. The witch walked forward and pulled the blankets back off of the mattress. Remus walked forward and lay Tonks down on the bed, her hair fanning out behind her.

Remus studied her features for a few seconds, while they were lighted up by the glow of the moon before it drifted behind a cloud. She was becoming pale, her lips reddening slightly. There were red splotches where he had wiped at her cuts to clear away the blood. But, even through all of this, she still looked beautiful.

Just then, the witch interrupted Remus’ thoughts.

“Sir,” she said, tapping Remus’ shoulder. “Sir, could you leave the room for a minute? I have to call in the Healer to examine her.”

Remus nodded his head and stepped outside the door, then sank to his knees, his back against the hallway wall. He clasped his hands together and placed his forehead into them, willing himself to relax, but there was no way possible that he could.

Suddenly, Remus heard footsteps coming down the hall; when he looked up, he saw a man around twenty-three or so walking towards him. Remus made to stand up, but the man said, “No, sit. However, can you tell me where I might find Nymphadora Tonks?”

Remus said, “She is in this room.” He pointed to his left.

“Thank you, Sir,” the healer said, then rushed into the door, leaving Remus to drown in his worries, which felt like they were suffocating him.

Remus pulled his knees up to his chest and placed his palms there, laying his forehead into them, breathing deeply. He couldn’t stop thinking about what could possibly happen to Tonks. He didn’t know how he would be able to handle it if something were to happen to her.

Finally, after ten minutes, the witch and the healer came outside. Remus lifted his head from his hands and looked up at them.

“Is she going to be okay?” he asked quietly.

“She should be fine,” the healer said, reaching down a hand to help Remus up. “You can go in and see her if you like, though she is still out cold. We expect her to be in here for at least five days, possibly a week, at the very least.”

“Thank you,” Remus said. He stepped quietly into the room grabbed a chair, pulling it over to where Tonks lay on her bed. He placed it on the floor quietly and sat down, taking Tonks’ hand into his.

It was silent in the room, except for the returned breathing of Tonks, slow and steady. Remus was calmed by the sound of her breathing. Just knowing it was present gave him a comfort, because he now knew that Tonks was going to be fine.

He rubbed his thumb slowly over the back of her hand, feeling her smooth skin as he examined her face. The cuts were still there, but they were much less visible than before. Carefully, Remus ran his hand down her left arm; he could no longer feel a break. He ran his finger across her cheek and the skin was as smooth as ever.

Finally calming himself, knowing that she would be okay, Remus slipped Tonks’ hand into his, leaning his head back in the chair and breathing deeply until he fell asleep.

The next morning, Remus woke to sunlight shining brightly through the window above Tonks’ bed, his hand still wrapped around Tonks’. He looked around the room, yawning.

Just then, he spotted Kingsley. Quickly, Remus dropped Tonks’ hand from his and stood up.

“Kingsley,” he said, walking over to him. “What are you-”

“Shush!” Kingsley hissed, cutting him off. “The healer and the witch don’t know I’m in here. I’d like to keep it that way.”

“Why are you not allowed in here?” Remus asked, determined to keep Kingsley from asking about why he had had Tonks’ hand in his.

“I must stay in bed, according to the healer,” Kingsley said, rolling his eyes. “By the way, Remus, did I see your hand in Tonks’?” He crossed his arms and looked Remus square in the face.

“Um, yes,” Remus said. “Does it honestly matter?” He glanced down at his feet, not wanting Kingsley to see his face reddening.

“Well, no, I suppose it doesn’t matter why you were holding Tonks’ hand,” Kingsley replied, eyeing Remus suspiciously. “It is just a point of interest, is all.”

Remus stared at the ground, feeling trapped. Thankfully, at that moment, the witch from the previous night walked in.

“Mr. Shacklebolt!” she said sternly. “I thought the healer said you were to remain in your room for the time being.”

Kingsley looked from Remus to the witch, answering, “But I feel fine at the moment, ma’am. I thought I would just pay a visit to Remus and Tonks.”

“Well, Miss Tonks is still unconscious, by the looks of it, and I am sure Remus has work to be done,” the witch answered. “Kingsley, I’m sorry, but the healer thinks it wise for you to just remain in your room until he sees fit. Go back now, please. I have to attend to Miss Tonks.”

Reluctantly, Kingsley left, seeing it pointless to argue any longer, giving Remus a puzzled look on his way out.

The witch then turned to Remus. “Sir, if you have to go to work, you can leave. Your “is she your wife- , she’ll be fine. You can come back and see her again, and we’ll tell you how she’s doing.”

“I don’t have a job,” Remus replied. “But I suppose I can find something to do for now.” As he was turning to leave, he addressed the witch once more. “Oh, and she isn’t my wife; just a very close, very dear friend.” With that being said, Remus left Tonks’ room, going along the hallways and finally exiting Saint Mungo’s
Chapter 10: Potential Heartbreak by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Obviously this isn't a very happy chapter. Tonks is finally awake, but Remus still won't tell her straight up his feelings for her. There enlies the potential heartbreak.

Please read and review. Thank you.
The next four days were, for Remus, a living hell. Tonks was still unconscious in Saint Mungo’s. Though he came by to check on her everyday, and sometimes sit at her bedside, there was always no change in her, other than her hair appearing to be an even lighter blue than it had been, as if it were fading. On the second day, Remus had brought Tonks some tulips and lilies, which he had learned were her favorite flowers from a conversation the two had had on the night of her second Order meeting. They were now on the table beside her bed, in a vase that Remus had brought from his tiny flat.

Now was the fifth day after Tonks’ accident at the battle; it was also the fifth day after Sirius’ death. At the moment, Remus felt more alone than he had ever felt before. He had lost his last remaining best friend, and feared he was to lose the only woman brave enough to show her true feelings for him. But, to his surprise, things began to look up on this day.

When Remus arrived at Saint Mungo’s on the fifth day, he made his way up to Tonks’ room silently, a bouquet of fresh lilies and tulips held in his right hand. He knocked on the door lightly, in case the healer or witch was in there with her.

Quietly, he stepped into the room, looking around and walking over to Tonks’ bed. He glanced down at her as he picked up the vase. Her pink hair was draped over her pillow. Remus turned back to the flowers, then whirled back around, dropping the vase as he realised her change in hair color. As the vase shattered to the floor, there was an intake of breath from Tonks. She sat up quickly, looking around her, saying, “What on Earth was that?”

“Tonks!” Remus gasped, dropping the flowers and rushing to her, pulling her into a tight hug. “Thank God you’re all right!” he said into her hair.

Tonks lifted her arms and wrapped them tightly around Remus, forcing herself to hold back a lump that was beginning to form in her throat. “Remus,” she said croakily. “Am I awake? Is this a dream?”

“You’re awake, Tonks, thank God!” Remus exclaimed, pulling back and placing his hands on Tonks’ shoulders, examining her.

“Remus, how long was I out for?” Tonks asked, her hands now grasping Remus’ elbows, looking at his face intently.

“Well, this is the fifth day after the battle,” Remus answered.

“Five days?” Tonks asked, “It was all because of my dear Aunt Bella, too.” She dropped her hands from where they still rested on Remus’ elbows and began twisting them in her lap.

“And,” she began quietly, casting her eyes downward. “What about the others? Are the kids all safe and well? Are the other Order members all right? Is anyone-” she cut off, not wanting to ask any further.

Remus took one of Tonks’ hands in his, now, and replied, “The kids are fine. They are at the Hospital Wing in Hogwarts… rather, they were five days ago. I am sure Madame Pomfrey patched them all up in a trice. The other Order members got out of it fine. Kingsley got a curse, but they released him from Saint Mungo’s two days ago.” Remus stopped, and gripped Tonks’ other hand in his.

“But, one of ours was killed,” he went on softly. “Bellatrix killed Sirius.”

Tonks stared at Remus in shock. “No,” she said, quietly, searching his eyes for a way to tell her he was lying. But they stared back with a saddened look. “No,” Tonks whispered. “He can’t be dead! Remus, no, he isn’t.”

Remus pulled Tonks close to him, holding her tight. He felt her body begin to shake, and knew she was crying. It hurt him much inside, knowing that she was hurt. He began to stroke her hair with his right hand.

“It’s all my fault,” Tonks’ muffled voice came through a gap between Remus’ and her head. “If I hadn’t let Bella get the better of me, he’d still be here right now.”

“Tonks,” Remus whispered, still stroking her hair. “It’s not your fault. Don’t blame yourself for his death. It is no one’s fault. Sirius went there fighting for his godson, and he knew that he could be killed. It’s not your fault.”

Tonks pulled her head from where it lay against Remus’ chest, and looked up at his face, her eyes still swimming with tears. “Remus, but if I-” she began, but Remus cut her off.

“Nymphadora, listen to me!” he said, searching her eyes. “It is not your fault. Sirius was a grown man, older than you, and he made the choice to go and defend the one he loves. He wouldn’t want you to think that you had caused this, believe me, he wouldn’t. He would never want any of us to blame ourselves for his death. Please, Tonks, don’t blame yourself.”

Tonks looked up at Remus, tears still falling down her face. She then leaned forward and kissed Remus lightly, swiftly on the lips, then pulled back and turned her face down, so Remus wouldn’t see the blush creeping up her tear-stained cheeks.

“That’s in case something like this happens again, in the next few days,” she said quietly. “Just so you’ll know that I am serious about what I said before… that it’s not a lie.”

Remus looked at Tonks silently. “I do know,” he finally said. “And, if I am to admit, I…” He cut off, wondering if he should truly tell Tonks what he felt.

“What Remus?” Tonks said quietly.

“Tonks, I’ve said it before,” Remus said, looking down, hating himself for what he was about to tell her. “I’m too old for you. I’m too dangerous. Tonks, I could hurt you so deeply, so badly, and I can’t bear to think of what potentially could possibly happen to you.”

“Well, what do you think it is that you’re doing now?” Tonks asked quietly.

“Protecting you,” Remus said, “because, Tonks, I do love you. I just-”

“What?” said Tonks, looking up at him, grabbing his chin and lifting up his head, forcing him to look her in the eyes. “You just don’t want to express how you feel? You just don’t want to hurt me? Well, guess what Remus. I’ve been hurt before. I’m being hurt right now, for God’s sake, with you telling me that my cousin has just died. If you honestly think that you will hurt me if you just tell me what it is that you really feel, then, damn, you must be a complete idiot. Because, Remus, what really hurts is that you tell me how you feel, and then, you tell me that you can’t love me, and you push yourself away from me. That is what hurts.”

Her eyes had tears in them again, dark pools as Remus had once seen them the first day she told him this… could it only have been a little over a week ago? And, here he was again, breaking her heart even more than it already surely was, after hearing about a dear friend and waking up after four days of silence. He really, really hated himself right now.

“Tonks,” he said quietly, looking up at her again. “Will you please just listen to me? Please, just hear me out.”

Tonks stared icily up at Remus. “Why should I?” she asked. “Why should I even want to hear what it is that you have to say, when, obviously, you really don’t even care all that much? Why should your opinion matter in this? Why should your feelings?” She glared at him now, even though her heart was torn inside.

“I don’t know,” Remus answered, “maybe because I am only trying to protect you. Tonks, you don’t seem to get that me being a werewolf is so dangerous, and it could potentially hurt you or anyone else, for that matter, in the long run. You need someone more your age, someone who hasn’t been torn by being a werewolf since he was just a child; someone who could properly take care of you because he isn’t shunned by the rest of the wizarding community because he is a werewolf. Tonks-”

“Just forget it,” Tonks said, cutting him off. “You claim that you love me, you say that you really do care. If you love me and care for me so much, then why is it that you don’t seem to give a damn about my feelings, or how this is affecting me? When are you going to get that I’ve tried not to like you, I’ve tried to go for someone else, since I knew, even before I told you what I feel, that you would never hear of it? I’ve tried to get you off of my mind, but Remus, if you want me to be honest, I’ve fancied you ever since my first Order meeting, from the first time you caught me when I tripped. I tried to tell myself that you’re too old, you’re a werewolf, you’re too sensible and quiet for me, you and I should just be friends… it hasn’t worked at all. So, Remus, obviously, you may think that what you’re doing is right, but it isn’t, okay? I’ve thought this through a thousand times over, and I’m surprised that the last four days didn’t show you something, or make you figure out that I’m so incredibly serious about loving you. Do you get any of what I’m saying, Remus? Or are werewolves just immune to love and feelings?”

Remus sat in silence, too shocked to say anything. He didn’t know that Tonks had liked him for that long, and now, he didn’t know what to say, partly for fear of another outburst, and partly because he didn’t want to hurt her even more. Finally, he spoke.

“Tonks,” he said quietly, reaching out to take her hand in his; she pulled it away. He placed his back on his lap. “I do get what you are saying. But, do you get what it is that I am trying to explain to you? If I were to be with you, then, your position in society would fall greatly; you would be frowned upon by so many people in this world. I just cannot do that to you, Tonks. There is also a chance that the Ministry wouldn’t allow you to be an Auror any longer, if they found out.”

“They don’t have to,” Tonks said. “Can’t you keep secrets? Can’t you allow yourself at least some happiness? Don’t you want love, to have someone who cares about you no matter what? Or do you always, always have to be a lone werewolf, who just has friends, but no one who loves him as a friend and more?”

“I do have happiness,” Remus said, knowing it was an out-and-out lie. “I’m happy with where I am, with my friends, with the people who don’t shun me because I am different-”

“Fine, you’re happy with that!” Tonks exclaimed angrily. “But you’re not as happy as you could be, and don’t tell me you are, Remus, because I know you’re not! I know that you want more, because that’s what everyone wants.” She paused, thinking. “Did you ever, once in your life, feel loved like that, Remus? Or has it always been friends, parents who care? Didn’t you ever have that one girl who you loved, not just as a friend, but as more?” she asked, desperately.

“I did,” Remus said, quietly. “And she is sitting in front of me, and here I am, being a complete ass and breaking her even worse than she was.” He looked at Tonks. “Nymphadora, please, tell me that you at least understand why I am doing this?”

“I guess,” Tonks said. “But, I still don’t see how you can do this to me; how you can know that you are hurting someone by trying not to hurt them, and still do it anyway.” She glared at him.

“Tonks,” Remus began, but Tonks cut him off.

“Just go,” she said. “You’ve already put too much stress on me; I probably shouldn’t have any more. I’m sure the Healer won’t be too happy.”

“Tonks,” Remus tried again.

“Go,” she said, looking at him. “Just go, alright. I don’t want to talk to you right now.”

Remus sat where he was for a few seconds.

“Please, Remus,” Tonks said. “If you care about how I feel, you’ll leave, now. Please.”

“Fine,” Remus said quietly, standing up to leave. He turned and walked toward the door. As he opened it, he turned back and said, “And, Tonks, I’m so sorry about this. At least know that it hurts me too.” Then he left, leaving Tonks on her bed, tears beginning to roll silently down her cheeks.
Chapter 11: A Veela Encounter by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Tonks is released from the hospital and goes to the Burrow. Here she is introduced to Fleur and catches up with Bill.

Please read and review!!!
Tonks was released from Saint Mungo’s two days before the last term at Hogwarts ended. Mad-Eye had stopped by with Kingsley the day before her release to tell her that she would be needed, if she was up to it, to go to the train station to make sure that there was no harm come to Harry and the kids, along with Mad-Eye and Remus. Though Tonks was still angry with Remus, she said she would come along, but for the kids’ sake, though she also secretly wanted to talk to Remus again after the kids had all been picked up, and Mad-Eye had left.

The day that Tonks was released, she Disapparated to the Burrow, needing to talk to somebody about anything- and she didn’t want that somebody to be Remus. When Molly Weasley heard the crack outside her door, she shrieked from where she stood by the sink, washing dishes manually, just because she needed something to do.

“Molly,” Tonks said, knocking on the door quietly. “It’s Tonks, can I come in?”

“Tonks?” Molly asked, drying her hands on a towel. “Oh, dear, you’re finally out of Saint Mungo’s! Come in, and have a seat.” She went over to the door and opened it, pulling Tonks into a motherly hug.

“How are you dear?” she asked, pulling out a chair for Tonks at the table. “Would you like something to eat; anything to drink?”

“Um, sure,” Tonks answered. “Could I just have some tea, please? Oh, and I’m… fine, I guess, you could say.”

“Why only fine?” Molly asked, bringing Tonks a steaming mug of tea. “Is something wrong, dear?”

Suddenly, there were footsteps descending down the stairs, and Bill Weasley came down them, holding the hand of a beautiful silvery-blonde haired young woman, who was smiling brightly.

“Hey Mum,” Bill said, kissing his mother lightly on the cheek. “We thought we heard voices.” He spotted Tonks. “Hey, Dora, how are you?” he asked, releasing the girl’s hand to give Tonks a hug.

“Hey Bill,” she said. “I’m alright, I suppose. The last few days have been no picnic though.” She sighed, then turned to the girl beside him, who now had a hurt look on her face. “Who is this, Bill?” she asked.

Bill again took the young woman’s hand in his, then sat down at the table across from Tonks. Molly got up from the table swiftly, Tonks noticed, as soon as the young woman sat down with him.

“This is Fleur,” Bill said, smiling at the woman. “She competed in the Triwizard Tournament last year against Harry, for Beuxbatons. Now, she works at Gringotts, with me.”

“It eez a pleasure to meet you,” Fleur said, extending her hand out to Tonks and smiling. Tonks took her hand and shook it. “Bill ‘as told me leetle bits about you and some ozers in ze Order of ze Phoenix; it eez nice to finally meet someone.”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Tonks said, smiling back at her. “And, um, are you and Bill together?”

“Yes, we are,” Bill answered, looking at Fleur again. “We’ve been together for the past six months. She’s visiting today, as she didn’t feel like going home.” He leaned in closer to Tonks. “Mum isn’t happy about it, though. I can’t see why, Fleur is such a wonderful girl.”

Tonks smiled, then said, “Maybe your mum just thinks that you are trying to move too fast, after a six month relationship.”

Bill cocked an eyebrow at her. “Come on, Tonks. Mum and Dad got married about a month after they graduated from Hogwarts. They were only eighteen.”

“True,” Tonks said, but was interrupted by Molly, who had apparently been eavesdropping from the kitchen.

“Married?!” she shrieked. “Who is to say that you and Fleur are to be getting married? You’ve only been together for six months!”

“Mum, did anyone say anything about marriage?” Bill asked, looking at his mother, raising his eyebrows. “At least not yet,” he added in a whisper to Tonks and Fleur, the latter of them who giggled and kissed Bill on the cheek.

Tonks smiled sadly, half her mind on Bill and Fleur, the other half on Remus, and how she wished he would stop being so stubborn and stupid.

“So, ‘ave you found anyone zat you like, Tonks?” Fleur asked, looking over to Tonks now.

“Um, well, I,” Tonks stammered, not wanting to reveal her love of Remus, that, at the moment, none other than herself, Remus and Molly knew of. “Um, I’m not sure. I’m kind of, you know, just doing my job… trying to stay focused… don’t want to be fired, now do I?” She forced a laugh, then sat back in her chair, feeling a blush creep up her cheeks and willing it to go away. Just for something to do, she began to chew at a hangnail.

“Oh, I understand,” Bill said, but a look in his eye told Tonks that he didn’t believe her one bit. He could read her so easily; he’d been able to since they were together for three months in Hogwarts, and even after Tonks called it off, and that meant all the way until now. It made Tonks rather uncomfortable, sometimes, because she didn’t exactly want him to know everything anymore, and hadn’t for eight years.

“Oh, well, you’ve still got plenty of time, Tonks,” Fleur said, smiling sweetly at her. Obviously, she believed Tonks; either that or she was a very good actress.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Tonks said, wanting this conversation to end now, before she would have to go and dig herself a grave.

“Um, so, Fleur, what made you decide to work at Gringotts after you were done with the Tournament?” Tonks asked, desperate for something, anything else to talk about.

“Well, I wanted to eemproove my Eenglish,” Fleur said. “I mean I can speak eet, but I want to be able to speak eet more fluenzly, more properly.”

“She speaks it fine,” Bill said. “But, apparently, she wants to speak it better. I rather like her accent though.” He shrugged.

“Well, you may like eet, but I am rather annoyed by eet,” Fleur said, grimacing. “Eet eez just so different from everyone else’s around here, and I want to sound like zem.”

“Why would you want to sound the same as everyone else?” Tonks asked.

“Because, I don’t like sticking out,” Fleur said, flipping her hair over her shoulder. “I’d rather fit in with ze ozzers around here.”

“But, isn’t it better to stick out? I mean, why be like everyone else?” Tonks asked, also thinking that she would probably stick out anyway, considering the color of her hair. That is why Tonks thoroughly enjoyed being a Metamorphmagus, so that she wouldn’t have to look like everyone else.

“No, because zen if you were to do somezing wrong, well…” Fleur said, then trailed off. “Never mind, I don’t know.”

“Fleur, I’m just curious,” Tonks said. “Why is your hair that color? And, doesn’t that already make you stick out, at least a little?”

“Look who eez talking,” Fleur said, indicating Tonks’ spiked up pink hair. “No, eet eez because I am part Veela; my grandmuzzer was a full Veela.”

“So, obviously, she would stick out anyway,” Bill said. “At least, to all the wizards who know what Veela are.” He paused, glowering slightly. “I just have to deal with it.”

“And he does well,” Fleur said, giggling again.

Tonks nodded, sitting back in her chair again. She was beginning to feel just a bit uncomfortable around Fleur. Yes, she thought she was very sweet, but she also giggled a bit much. Tonks was beginning to wonder if that is how she seemed around Remus; God, she hoped not.

“Well,” Bill said, looking at Tonks and then to Fleur. “I think we should probably go now. It was nice seeing you, Tonks.”

“Eet was very nice to meet you, Tonks,” Fleur said, standing up from the table. “I ‘ope zat we can see you again soon.”

“Oh, it was very nice to meet you, too,” Tonks said, shaking Fleur’s hand. “Bill, it was nice seeing you again, as well.”

“Bye,” Fleur said, looking back as she and Bill ascended back up the stairs together. Not five seconds later, Molly came bustling back into the kitchen, a tray of sandwiches balanced in the air by her wand.

“Oh, thank God they’ve left,” Molly said, sitting down across from Tonks, shoving the tray to her.

Tonks took one of the sandwiches gratefully, then asked, “Why would you want them to leave? Aren’t you happy for Bill?”

“Well, of course I’m happy for him,” Molly answered. “But, well, I’d just rather he didn’t go for some little Veela. He can’t honestly love her; all young men fall under the Veela’s spell, when they are around.” She paused, then looked up at Tonks. “Besides, dear, I’d much rather he be with someone like you.” She smiled uncertainly.

“Me?!” Tonks gasped, looking at Molly as if she were crazy. “Why on Earth would you want Bill with someone like me? All I am is clumsy, and- and-” She faltered, not knowing what to argue. “Besides, Bill and I tried this eight years ago… it didn’t work. It most certainly wouldn’t work now. And besides, don’t you remember when I told you- Never mind, I don’t want to talk about that.” Tonks stood up from the table looking flustered. “Look, I’d better go,” Tonks said. “I’ve got lots to do, since I’ve been gone.” She began walking towards the door, before Molly could even try to call her back. “Thanks, Molly, for, um, everything; bye.” She threw the kitchen door open, tripping in the grass, then walked further out into the yard and Disapparated to her flat, leaving Molly with her mouth open in shock at the table.
End Notes:
Okay. I am sorry this chapter took so long to submit. I feel like such an idiot because I had two chapters submitted in the Remus/Tonks, and once I get my chapter validated, I will be submitting my other Remus/Tonks fan fiction. I hope all of you will read it as well!!!!!
Chapter 12: Fighting Ice With Ice by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
I'm really sorry this is getting in so late. I've been busy... and, well, grounded.
So, here's chapter twelve.
Not a very nice chaper... well, you see the title. Tell me if you guys like it, okay.
I love getting the feedback!
After Remus left Tonks crying in Saint Mungo’s, he didn’t go back to visit her again. Instead, he went to his flat and did nothing, feeling like the worst man in the universe now, not only because of what he had done to Tonks, but also because of all the recent events that had to keep occurring in his life.

But, after two days of nothing, Kingsley and Mad-Eye stopped by Remus’ flat, requesting that he go to Platform 9¾ to make sure that no harm would come to Harry and the other kids when they arrived back from Hogwarts two days later. When he asked who else would be there, the answer was Mad-Eye and Tonks, the latter of whom he wasn’t too keen on having to see again, partly for fear of what she could do to him, and, knowing Tonks, that could be anything; but, reluctantly, he agreed, if for anything, to assure that the kids were safe.

So, two days later, he Disapparated from his flat to the station, where Tonks was already waiting, arms crossed, leaning against a pillar, her hair bright pink, and dressed in ripped jeans and a Weird Sisters shirt. Luckily, there were no Muggles around at this part of the station whom could become suspicious of him appearing out of nowhere.

“Who is-” Tonks asked, looking around when she heard the crack, then, upon seeing Remus, said, “Oh, it’s you.” She resumed her position against the pillar, though her posture was tenser.

“Hello to you as well,” Remus said quietly, then stood against the pillar on the opposite side, his back to Tonks; he began messing with a hang-nail.

“So,” Tonks said stiffly, keeping her back to her side of the pillar. “What’ve you been up to these past days? Nothing, I suppose?”

“You would be right in that, Nymphadora,” Remus answered, turning his head slightly to see her reaction. She remained staring at the wall in front of her. “What about you?”

“Oh, nothing, Professor” Tonks said, deciding to use a name she was sure he disliked in return for him using her first name. “I was just stuck in some stupid hospital with no visitors, having to mope and do absolutely nothing for two more days, then leave and have a very not-at-all-fun visit with Molly Weasley. The only thing I did of any bit of interest is to find out who Bill is seeing, and to meet her.”

“Oh, Bill is seeing someone?” Remus asked, not looking at Tonks this time. “Who is it? I would’ve thought he had at least some interest in you.”

Tonks whirled around the pillar, her fierce gaze meeting Remus’ timid, yet relaxed one. “Yes, he is seeing someone. Her name is Fleur and I believe that she competed in the Triwizard Tournament against Harry, he said. And, no he hasn’t had the least bit of interest in me since we were at Hogwarts.” She turned back around to the other side of the pillar. “And, I don’t believe that would be a matter of your interest anyway, would it?”

“No, I suppose you’re right,” Remus said, feeling worse than he had before now. “It wouldn’t be of my interest, would it, considering I don’t have any interest at all in what goes on in other people’s lives?” He cocked his eyebrows, waiting for Tonks to turn around with an outburst; to his surprise, she answered him calmly.

“No, it wouldn’t,” Tonks answered, hoping she was causing Remus to at least have a heart about something, if not that, feel at least a bit horrible. “Because, you are right; you don’t really care at all, do you? Not unless it involves your pitiful life as a stupid werewolf who lives alone because he thinks that no one cares about him, and because he cares about no one at all.” She smirked, tapping her fingers on her elbow.

Remus was silent for a few seconds, not knowing how to respond. Tonks was fighting back, and she wouldn’t give up; if Remus knew anything, it was that.

“Well,” Remus said, then cut short as he saw Mad-Eye walking into the station, his bowler hat covering his magical eye.

“Well, what?” Tonks asked. “Do you agree that you don’t care? Do you agree that you don’t-” She was cut short as Remus gripped her shoulder tightly. “Ow!” she said, then stopped as Remus whispered, “Mad-Eye is here. Don’t you think it would be just a tad awkward if he walked in on this lovely conversation?”

“Fine,” Tonks said sharply, wrenching her arm from Remus’ grasp. “But you’re not off the hook, Remus Lupin, not one bit.”

“Fine,” Remus said, turning back around to his side, watching Mad-Eye approach wearily. “But it doesn’t mean I have to listen to you.”

“Remus, do you take joy in hurting others,” Tonks asked icily, “because that sure does seem like it’s what you live for, and why you talk to me.”

“Tonks,” Remus said quietly, as Mad-Eye was now about twenty-five feet away. “If you value the way you feel being kept secret, I really suggest that you just shut up.”

“Fine,” Tonks hissed, Remus’ last words stinging her. She leaned herself fully back against the pillar again and was silent. A tear slipped down her cheek, and she brushed it away, then dabbed her eyes on her shirt, hoping they wouldn’t appear watery when she turned around again.

“Remus,” Tonks heard from the other side of the pillar as Mad-Eye arrived. “Good, you’re here. Where the hell is Tonks, I told the lassie four o’clock and no later-”

“I’m right here,” Tonks said, stepping to the other side and glaring at Mad-Eye. Men are the stupidest and rudest creatures to ever walk this Earth, she thought, as she faced who she thought were the rudest ones. “And, Mad-Eye, as far as I can see, I was here well before you and Lupin.”

“Do you have proof of that Nymphadora?” Remus asked snidely, examining her look of anger. “Well, you don’t, but yes, it’s true, Mad-Eye, she was here before I.”

“Fine, lassie,” Mad-Eye growled. “Sorry. Now, we need to make sure we’re ready for when they all get here, alright?” He began limping forward, leaving Remus and Tonks, who began walking side-by-side, holding a whispered conversation.

“I hate you, Remus,” Tonks hissed, glaring at him. “You’re the foulest and lowest man, I swear upon it.”

“Well, Tonks, I do believe that this is actually better than you loving me,” Remus answered. “And, it does quite equal the way I feel about myself, so I guess that’s fair enough.”

“Good,” Tonks said, quickening her pace to get away from him. But did I ever say anything about not loving you? she thought to herself as she increased the distance between herself and Remus.

“Mad-Eye,” she called as she caught up to him.

“Tonks,” he said sharply, turning around. “When out in public, you will call me Alastor, so as not to attract looks from Muggles, understood?”

“Fine,” Tonks said. “But I don’t understand why; there’s hardly anyone here at the moment, and besides, I do believe that some of them are parents of Hogwarts students. The last train left a few minutes after I arrived here, and the next one shouldn’t be arriving until after the Hogwarts Express.”

“Nymphadora,” Mad-Eye said warningly. “Don’t you give me cheek, understood? I know a hell of a lot more than you do about this, alright? Now, listen to what I say, understood?”

“Fine,” Tonks said, getting sick and tired of men and their stupid ways and attitudes, along with them thinking she was so young and naïve.

“So, Alastor, when does the train arrive with the kids?” Tonks asked timidly, thinking she would just leave if she received another lecture, from either of the men.

“The train arrives at roughly anytime from four fifteen to four thirty,” Mad-Eye answered, now standing near the pillar between Platforms 9 and 10. “So, we’ve got another ten minutes or so.”

“Thanks,” Tonks said. “Mad-Eye, can I go get something to eat, then? I’ll be right back, I promise.”

“Lassie, do you have to choose now to be hungry?” Mad-Eye said, looking over to Tonks and rolling his eyes.

“What?” Tonks asked, looking to him. “I can’t help it if I get hungry. Please, just let me go, Mad-Eye.”

“You’d better hurry it up, Tonks,” Mad-Eye said. “And I do believe I told you to call me Alastor.”

“I don’t feel like it,” Tonks said, and began walking away before Mad-Eye could really lose his temper and begin yelling at her again.

Tonks passed Remus while walking up to the front of the train station, where there were snack machines. He began to follow her.

“Tonks, where are you going?” Remus asked trying to keep pace with her.

“I’m hungry,” Tonks replied, continuing forward, quickening her pace slightly. She turned left, nearly colliding with a pole in her haste.

“Are you okay?” Remus asked, a few feet behind her.

“Perfectly fine, thanks,” Tonks said shortly, not looking back, wishing Remus would just leave her alone for the time being. “Why don’t you go back to where Mad-Eye is? I’m sure he needs someone over there so he doesn’t go completely ballistic, once all of the parents have arrived to pick up their children.”

“Oh, so you’re leaving and ditching the kids?” Remus asked. “Very brave of you, and you’re an Auror as well.”

“No, I bloody am not leaving,” Tonks said. “I would never ditch the kids, Lupin. What kind of person do you think I am?”

“A Metamorphmagus with a terrible temper, and values that I will never understand,” Remus muttered under his breath.

“What was that?” Tonks asked, turning around to face him, arms crossed, her eyebrows cocked.

“Nothing,” Remus said.

“Well, if you have nothing more to say, then I suggest that you go back to where Mad-Eye is,” Tonks said.

“Alright then, I’ll leave you alone, Tonks,” Remus said, turning around and walking away. He couldn’t think of a time he had ever hated himself more. He was breaking her, and he knew it. He didn’t want to know how much longer until she would break completely and fall apart; that would probably make him wish he would just go to Hell.

“Remus,” Mad-Eye barked as Remus got closer to where he stood against the pillar. “Where did that stubborn, ignorant girl get to?”

“Do you mean Tonks?” Remus asked.

“No, I mean Hermione Granger,” Mad-Eye said sarcastically, getting annoyed. “Of course I mean Tonks!”

“She’s getting something to eat, I suppose,” Remus answered, coming to a halt by the pillar.

“Well, she’d better hurry up,” Mad-Eye answered. “The train is set to arrive within the next few minutes, and she’s supposed to be here.”

“I’m sure she’s coming, Alastor,” Remus said, having caught the conversation Mad-Eye had with Tonks earlier about the name bit.

A few minutes passed. By now, the station was filled with swarming parents and a few grandparents, all waiting to greet their much missed children and grandchildren after a very long term at Hogwarts. Remus spotted pink hair walking through the crowd and knew it was Tonks.

“Alastor,” he said. “She’s coming back now.”

“Good,” Mad-Eye said. “I was about to send you to go and get her if she hadn’t been back in the next minute.”

Remus rolled his eyes, glancing at the clock. It was now 4:15. The Hogwarts Express should be arriving in the next few minutes. He looked back into the crowd and saw that Tonks was near now.

“Are they here yet?” she asked when she reached them, though she directed it to Mad-Eye.

“No, not yet,” Remus said, eyeing her carefully.

“What I meant, was, Mad-,” she cut short before Mad-Eye could become really cross. “Alastor, has the train come yet?” She glared at Remus, who seemed to be a bit taken aback. Good, Tonks thought. Maybe the stupid werewolf needs to learn a bit about me and the way I feel when it comes to him.

“Didn’t you just hear Remus?” Mad-Eye barked. “It’s not here-” He cut off, as a group of three children had just appeared out of the barrier in front of them. “Never mind,” Mad-Eye said gruffly.

Suddenly, Molly and Arthur Weasley walked up to the group, followed by Fred and George. “Hello, Remus, Alastor, Tonks,” Molly said, gathering each in turn into a hug, Mad-Eye grimacing as his turn came. “Have our lot come off the train yet?”

“No,” Tonks answered, waving to Arthur as he waved to the others from behind Molly. “There’s only been about three off, so I expect it will be a few more minutes before they arrive.” She turned to Fred and George as Molly and Arthur began talking to Remus and Mad-Eye.

“Well, well, well,” Fred said, wrapping his arm around Tonks’ shoulder. “How’re you today dear lady?”

“Yes, Tonks,” George said, coming to the other side of Tonks. “How is life suiting you?”

“Um, okay, I guess,” Tonks answered. “Probably not as good as it is you, though, by the looks of those jackets. Are they-”

“Dragon skin,” Fred answered.

“Of the best quality,” George added on. “Don’t you like it?”

“Um, sure,” Tonks answered uncertainly. “And how did you manage to afford those, might I ask?”

“Well, what other than our wonderful shop?” Fred answered.

“Business has really been going great!” George added. “It’s actually better than when you stopped by. And, I can only imagine it will be even better once the summer break officially starts. You know, we could offer you a job there.”

“Well, that is kind of you,” Tonks answered. “But, in case you haven’t noticed, I already have a job as an Auror, so I don’t really need one.” She paused, thinking. “But, I’m sure Remus could use one.”

“Well, why don’t we go and ask him?” George said to Fred. “Bye Tonks, nice chatting with you.”

Tonks shook her head and leaned against the barrier, watching Fred and George consult Remus. By now, several more Hogwarts students had appeared out of the barrier, and were finding their parents; but, as far as she could see, there were still no sign of Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny.

But then, after a few more minutes, the four children appeared. Mrs. Weasley shrieked and rushed forward, hugging Ron and Ginny tightly to her, then turning to Harry, and finally Hermione. Tonks looked to Remus, who was greeting Harry now. She stayed off to the side, waiting until Harry would come away from Remus to greet him. But, that didn’t happen. Instead, Harry, Mad-Eye, Mr. Weasley and Remus all began walking to a group of three people, whom Tonks recognised from watching them the year previously; Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, and their fat son, Dudley. Mad-Eye beckoned for Tonks to follow, so she walked forward and joined the group, along with Hermione and Ron.

“Ah, good afternoon,” Mr. Weasley said, looking at Mr. Dursley. “I’m Arthur Weasley, you might remember?”

Mr. Dursley remained silent, staring at the group in front of them. Seeing he wasn’t going to respond, Mr. Weasley continued. “We all thought we could just have a word with you about Harry, here.”

“About how he’s being treated when he’s with you,” Mad-Eye added.

Mr. Dursley bristled with anger. “Is it really any of your concern about how we treat the boy? I was not aware of it concerning you.”

“There must be a lot you are not aware of, Dursley,” Mad-Eye interjected.

“But, that isn’t the point,” Tonks said. “However, if we find out you’ve mistreated Harry in any way-”

“And believe me, we will find out,” Remus interjected. Tonks gave him the slightest of glares, which went unnoticed by everyone else.

“Even if Harry isn’t allowed to use the fellytone,” Mr. Weasley said.

“It’s a telephone,” Hermione hissed earnestly.

“Yes, if we hear even a murmur about him being mistreated,” Mad-Eye continued. “You will be answering to us.”

“Is that a threat?” Mr. Dursley asked loudly.

“Yes, it is,” Mad-Eye answered. “And, it’s also a promise.”

“Do I look to be threatened in the least?” Mr. Dursley asked, his face reddening.

“Well, yes, you do,” Mad-Eye said, as he pulled back his bowler hat to show his magical eye, which caused Mr. Dursley to leap backwards in shock.

He then turned away from Mr. Dursley. Tonks nodded to Mrs. Dursley, causing her to cringe, then went over to Hermione and Ginny, who were talking near Fred and George.

“Well, how’ve you two been?” she asked, hugging both of them.

“Tonks!” Ginny said, hugging her tightly back. “It’s so good to see you! I’ve been alright.”

“Oh, yes, it is good to see you,” Hermione said. “I’ve been good. What about you?”

“Oh, I’m okay,” Tonks said, smiling slightly. “Well, I should probably be going, now. You two take care, okay? I expect I’ll be seeing you sometime this summer. I hope you have a great time.”

“We will,” Hermione said. “Bye Tonks. You have a good summer, too.”

“I’ll try, though it isn’t exactly summer when you’re an Auror,” Tonks said, laughing. “You never know what’s going to happen, so you don’t always have time off.”

“Well, still,” Ginny said. “It was nice seeing you. Bye.”

“Bye girls,” Tonks said. She walked away from them and over to where Molly stood, talking to Remus.

“Molly,” she said. “Do you mind if I drop by the Burrow sometime this summer?”

“Not at all, dear,” Molly answered. “Maybe you and Remus could both come out and have dinner.”

“Sure,” Tonks said, smiling. “Well, I’d better go. I’ll see you soon.” She hugged Mrs. Weasley, then nodded to Remus. “See you,” she said, then turned and walked away, waving goodbye to Harry, Ron and everyone else before she Apparated to her flat.
Chapter 13: A Chat of Love by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
I'm so sorry it's taken forever to get this one up.
I hope you like it... I do.
I promise, I'm getting back on top of things now... I won't go forever without posting... I will finish this story.
Remus left the train station not long after Tonks did, her final gestures still stinging him. He knew he had hurt her badly, and that he probably deserved whatever Tonks dished out to him, no matter what the amount of pain, because he knew he had caused her so much more. Now, it was three days after, and Remus was lying on his couch, thinking.

If he was completely honest with himself about how he felt about Tonks, it was that she was the girl he had always dreamed of, regardless of their age difference. She was beautiful, sweet, caring and saw him for who he was on the inside. Sure, she could be very stubborn at times (hadn’t he seen that before?), but her other qualities outweighed that one flaw by so much.

If he kept trying to be sensible, though, he would shove all of those thoughts aside to protect her and keep her safe, keep her out of harm’s way.

But, he thought to himself. Hadn’t she told him that by trying to protect her, he was hurting her? But, wasn’t it better to hurt her by telling her no instead of allowing her to be with him and possibly hurting her physically?

“God, I need to talk to someone,” Remus said quietly to himself. He sat up from where he had been laying. Scratching his head, he checked his tattered watch. It was four forty-five pm. He wondered if Molly would mind if he came by for dinner that night; somehow, he thought she would be fine with it.

He stood up from the couch, a book falling from his lap. He bent down and picked it up, placing it on the tiny coffee table. Stretching, he walked to his room. He went through his messy drawers and grabbed a brown shirt and some old, worn jeans. He changed into these, throwing his dirty clothes onto a pile next to the door. He grabbed a bottle of some cheap cologne and sprayed it on, just to freshen up a bit. Then, he examined his reflection in the old, cracked mirror that sat on his dresser. His hair was a bit messed up, and he had shadow on his chin and lower jaw, but it would have to be fine.

Then, even though it was the middle of summer, he grabbed his jacket, threw it over his shoulder and walked out the door, locked it, then turned on the spot and Disapparated to the Burrow.

When he arrived, he found Ginny and Ron on broomsticks, flying over the orchard and tossing what looked to be a Quaffle back and fourth. Bill and a young blonde “whom Remus thought could only be the girl that Tonks had spoken of-, sat underneath a tree, talking and laughing with each other. At that moment, Remus felt a pang of jealousy, but he ignored it. Bill spotted Remus and stood up, pulling the girl with him, and then walked over to him.

“Hey, Remus,” he said, reaching out and shaking his hand. “How are you?”

“I’m alright,” Remus said, shaking Bill’s hand back. Suddenly, the girl stepped forward, kissing Remus on each cheek and hugging him.

“’Ello,” she said, pulling back. “I’m Fleur; eet eez a pleasure to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Remus said, trying to ignore the burning sensation he felt where Fleur had kissed him. “My name’s Remus. Are you the woman that Bill is seeing?”

“Yes,” Fleur said, smiling. “’ow did you know zat?”

“Oh, um, Tonks told me,” Remus said, quietly.

“Oh, you know Tonks?” Fleur asked. “I met ‘er a few days ago; she eez very sweet. I believe zat she eez ‘ere right now, as well. ‘elping Mrs. Weasley in ze kitchen.”

Remus stared at Fleur. “She’s here?” he asked.

“Yes,” Fleur answered.

“Helping Mum,” Bill said, looking at Remus quizzically. “Why do you seem so unnerved at that?”

“Do I?” Remus asked. “I’m not.” He had a sick feeling in his stomach, and a sudden urge to leave the Burrow immediately. He fought it down, however, when he heard a shriek from the kitchen and Mrs. Weasley came hurrying out to greet him.

“Remus,” she said, pulling him into a hug. “I didn’t expect to see you here. Nymphadora’s inside, and Fred and George are on their way, as is Arthur. You’re welcome to come inside.” She turned to Bill.

“Could you call Ron and Ginny in? They need to help bring a table outside. It’s too nice to try and squeeze ten people inside today.”

“Sure Mum,” Bill said.

“I’ll come with,” Remus said hurriedly, and before Mrs. Weasley could tell him to stay, he and Bill began walking over to the orchard.

“What’s up with you?” Bill asked, surveying Remus carefully.

“What are you talking about?” Remus asked, rolling up his sleeves to his elbows.

“You looked overly uncomfortable when Fleur mentioned that Tonks is here,” Bill said, “also, when Mum invited you inside. Remus, is there something going on between you and Tonks? She’s been looking more and more stressed these past few days.” He studied Remus, waiting for an answer.

“Bill, did it ever occur to you that I’ve never exactly had a relationship, except once? So, why would I have one now, especially when I’ve grown up quite a bit and become more sensible and realistic?” Remus asked, knowing that was probably the lamest answer he could’ve come up with.

“Okay, that never occurred to me,” Bill answered. “But, if you’ve become more sensible and realistic, wouldn’t that mean you’d possibly be in or even want a relationship with someone?

“No,” Remus answered, knowing what a complete lie this was. “Besides, I couldn’t have a normal relationship, even if I wanted to, because of me being a werewolf. So, I find it better to just stay single and have my friends with me.” He wondered how much longer he could keep this up.

“Well, okay,” Bill said. “I find that odd, but you still haven’t answered the question about Tonks. Just a few days ago, she seemed better than she does today. She’s more reserved and quiet today, and that isn’t like her.”

“Perhaps Sirius’ death is hitting her extra hard today,” Remus said, the now familiar feeling of hating himself settling into the pit of his stomach. “After all, they were cousins, and it was a bit of a shock when I told her the other day.” God, I am absolutely horrible, Remus thought to himself.

“Right, Remus,” Bill said sarcastically. “No offense or anything, but you aren’t that great a liar.” He patted his shoulder. “Now, tell me what the truth is.” They had stopped about twenty feet from the orchard, and could hear Ron and Ginny arguing from somewhere above them.

“Um, well,” Remus began. “I’m not sure that Tonks would want me to say anything.”

“Oh, so you are seeing each other?” Bill asked, crossing his arms and cocking his eyebrow, as if he really knew what was going on.

“No, we are not,” Remus said. “She just… well, I don’t feel much like going into it. Besides, aren’t we supposed to be getting Ginny and Ron?”

“Stop changing the subject,” Bill said flatly. “Now, whether you want to talk or not, I’m going to get it out of you. And, I promise, I won’t tell a soul.”

“But… but,” Remus stuttered. “Oh, fine. But, if Tonks kills me for this, you’re going down with me.”

“Perfectly fine,” Bill said. “I just hope Fleur will be alright. Now, tell me what it is about you and Tonks.”

“Do I honestly have to?” Remus asked; he felt like a little child.

“Remus,” Bill said.

“Fine,” Remus said. “Okay, so Tonks loves me. If I’m honest, I love her, too. But, I can’t be honest, not when I am a bloody werewolf who could cause her so much pain and harm.”

“And you aren’t doing that now?” Bill asked.

“I swear, you and her think along the same lines,” Remus said quietly. “And, I meant physically, not mentally.”

“Remus, you do realise that her mental pain could eventually turn into physical pain, don’t you?” Bill asked.

“Yes, but not as horrible as what I could inflict upon her,” Remus answered. “I know damn well that Tonks would refuse to leave me alone on a night with a full moon.”

“You don’t know that, Remus,” Bill replied. “I’m quite sure that Tonks wouldn’t go that far.”

“Do you know how much she loves me?” Remus asked skeptically. “She’s been in tears about it.”

“Well, she used to like me, if that helps. We dated for a few months,” Bill said.

“Yes, I know!” Remus said, surprising himself at how much the thought of that exasperated him.

“Calm down,” Bill said, chuckling. “Wow, I can see that you do love her. Anyway, if it helps, I can read her easily. Just trust me, she wouldn’t go that far. I’m ninety-five percent sure of it.”

“That’s still not a one hundred percent guarantee of her safety, though,” Remus said.

“But, Remus, there is never a one hundred percent guarantee of anyone’s safety, at least not in this world,” Bill replied. “Come on, you saw that just recently with the battle. You almost lost Tonks. Hell, I could’ve lost my baby brother and sister. Life in general isn’t a one hundred percent guarantee of safety, not at all. If you want to be happy, and if you want her to be happy, then I suggest that you do the right thing and get with her, especially because we don’t know if another war will break out in the next few days.”

“But, I can’t provide for her,” Remus said. “I can’t do a lot of things that any other man could do. I couldn’t adequately protect her from harm. I couldn’t give her the happiness in marriage, if we got that far. I couldn’t give her children. There’s so much that I couldn’t give to her, or do for her.”

“Remus, honest to God, how do you figure all of that?” Bill asked. “For one, she could provide if she had to; she’s an Auror for crying out loud. Their pay is pretty good. You could adequately protect her from harm; what do you think that stick of wood in your pocket is for? Or, you could protect her on the full moon by biting those who come near her.”

“Not funny,” Remus cut in, though he smiled.

“Trust me, if you and Tonks really love each other, you’ll get to marriage,” Bill said, laughing. “I think you do anyway. Besides, you would make her happy just by being there for her. And, as for children, if you don’t want to have kids, then you can adopt a child.”

“I never said I didn’t want kids,” Remus mumbled.

“Then what are you on about?” Bill asked.

“I’m on about possibly passing on my lycanthropy to my possible future children,” Remus answered. “Besides, why are we even discussing children and marriage? Tonks and I aren’t even together!”

“Yeah, but I guarantee that you two will be,” Bill said. He began walking closer to the orchard, forcing Remus to hurry and catch up to him.

“What do you mean that you guarantee that we will be together?” Remus asked. “Does it look like you run our lives?”

“No, I don’t,” Bill replied. “But, just trust me. If you want to be a happy man for once, and if you want her to be happy, then you will. And, don’t deny it Remus, because you know you will.”

“I-” Remus began, but cut off, as they had now reached the orchard and Bill was yelling.

“Oi! Ginny, Ron, come down,” Bill called, shading his eyes from the sunset.

“Why?” Ginny shouted, looking down. “Professor Lupin!” she shouted, flying at top speed down towards Bill and Remus.

“Hello Ginny,” Remus said as she landed smoothly, followed closely by Ron, whose landing wasn’t near as smooth. “Hello Ron.”

“Hey Professor,” Ron said, waving, as Ginny ran up and hugged Remus, who, not expecting this, stepped backwards and almost fell.

“Oh, sorry,” Ginny said, stepping back. “So, Bill, what did we need to get down for anyway? We were having a nice chat about who’s better at keeping, and we were just about to get started on testing it out when you interrupted us.”

“Well, Mum said that you and Ron need to come in and help bring out a table, so that everyone can eat,” Bill answered.

“But why?” Ron asked. “We can squeeze, what, seven people into the kitchen, can’t we?”

“Actually, it’s ten,” Bill said. “Fred and George are on their way over, as is Dad, plus Fleur and Remus, and, oh, Tonks.”

Ginny made an odd huffing sound at the mention of Fleur. Then her face brightened. “Oh, Tonks is here?” she asked enthusiastically.

“Yes, she is,” Bill said, “helping Mum in the kitchen.”

Ron laughed. “Can you imagine Tonks in the kitchen?”

“Ron!” Ginny gasped, slapping his shoulder.

“What?” Ron asked. “She’s so bloody clumsy. I mean, I’m sure she’d drop everything.”

“Now, Ron,” Remus said. “That isn’t entirely fair. Yes, she’s clumsy, but she doesn’t drop everything; she more trips over everything. I’m sure she’s fine in the kitchen.”

Ron mumbled something incoherent, and then began to walk back towards the Burrow. “Come on, Ginny,” he called back over his shoulder.

“See you,” Ginny said, rolling her eyes and following her brother.

“Well,” Bill said. “I suppose we’d better go back to the Burrow as well. Mum’ll probably want us to help set something up.”

“Alright,” Remus said, and he and Bill began walking back up the hill.

“So,” Bill said, trying to get back to their previous conversation. “You are going to get with Tonks, aren’t you?

“Um,” Remus said. “I- I’m not sure.”

“But, you know that you want to.”

“Yes,” Remus answered. Why, oh why does he have to do this to me?

“So, just do it,” Bill said. “You love her, she loves you. Gee, the math isn’t that hard. One lonely and shunned werewolf plus one very lonely and sad Metamorphmagus equals two people who love each other and can’t be lonely. Get the picture?”

“Bill, I’m not three,” Remus said, smiling. “I realise that. But, I’m just worried about hurting her.”

“Okay, don’t we all worry that we will hurt the one we love?” Bill asked.

“You know what I mean,” Remus said.

“Okay, but again with the whole ‘hurting her mentally could eventually hurt her physically anyway’ thing,” Bill said. “Just bloody get with her and make her happy, okay?”

“I’m not going to win this, am I?” Remus asked.

“Nope,” Bill answered. “And, the only way that you can win is if you get with her. So, you might as well just do it, because you know that is what you want.”

“No,” Remus said, and then laughed. “Okay, yes. But that’s not what my stupid head is telling me. My head is telling me that I need to stay away from her and let her find a much more suitable man who could properly love her.”

“Well, your head is wrong,” Bill said, just as they entered the garden. “Trust me on that. Now, I’ve got to go help Fleur with something. Just do the right thing.” He patted Remus’ shoulder, before walking away, leaving Remus standing alone. That is, until Tonks walked over.
Chapter 14: A New Beginning by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Just what it says it is....
A new beginning for Remus and Tonks
“Hello Remus,” Tonks said quietly, yet stiffly, as she came over and stood by him.

“Hello, Dora,” Remus said. He reached his arms out, welcoming her to hug him. She remained where she was, however, so he dropped his arms back to his sides.

“Can you come help me?” Tonks asked. “I need to go get the food and bring it out.”

“Sure,” Remus answered. He followed Tonks into the kitchen, dropping his jacket that he’d never used onto the counter.

“Could you grab the potatoes and the chicken?” Tonks asked, scooping a basket of rolls and a jug of water into her arms.

Remus nodded, walking over to the oven, where the chicken and potatoes sat; he stopped. “Nymphadora,” he began, turning to her.

“What?” she asked, quietly and cautiously. She turned to him, nearly spilling the water. She set the jug on the table and placed the rolls beside it.

“I’m sorry,” Remus said, looking down at his shoes, “for everything.” He waited silently for a few seconds, hearing nothing from Tonks. He thought maybe she had left.

“Remus,” she said, almost in a whisper. She stepped forward and lifted Remus’ chin so that he was looking her in the eyes. “Say it to my face, and I’ll believe you.”

Remus looked into her dark eyes. “I’m sorry for everything, Nymphadora. Or would you rather me say Tonks?”

“Nymphadora’s fine,” she said, taking her hand from his chin and stepping back to where she had laid the rolls and water. “And, I do believe you. I just can’t forgive it.” She began to walk outside again. “I’m sorry, too, Remus,” she added, before she stepped out the door.

Remus sighed. He’d try again after dinner. Maybe then she’d be easier to persuade, because he knew that she didn’t really feel as she did. She was building a wall around her emotions, and Remus wanted to break through it today, since Bill had actually persuaded him.

He picked up the chicken and potatoes and brought them outside, setting them on the table.

“Hey Remus!” he heard from his left.

Looking to see who it was, he saw Fred and George, apparently just off of work.

“Hello, boys,” he said. “How’re you doing?”

“Oh, perfectly well,” Fred said. “So, have you thought about the job offer we gave you?”

“Yes, I’ve thought about it,” Remus answered.

“And?” George asked.

“And, I don’t think that it’s the right thing for me,” Remus replied. “Not to mention, if the Ministry found out you had hired a werewolf, I’m afraid they may shut you down.”

“Aw, that’s too bad,” Fred said. “We were rather hoping you would join us.”

“Sorry boys,” Remus answered. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Aren’t you staying for dinner?” Fred asked.

“Oh, yes,” Remus said. “Good point.” Sighing, he turned and went to sit under a tree. His mind was almost completely on Tonks, and therefore, he wasn’t able to think properly. When he sat, he heard a voice from the other side.

“Remus, is that you?”

“Yes,” Remus said, knowing who the voice belonged to; it was so imprinted in his mind from all the times he had spoken to it and had it yell at him. He scooted around to the other side, the side that faced the orchard. “You know, I really am sorry,” he said, placing his hand on top of Tonks’.

“I am too,” Tonks said, looking up into his face. “I don’t mean to come off like I do; I just get angry and frustrated with you.” She squeezed his hand softly.

“Yeah, I know,” Remus answered. “And, you don’t really have to be sorry. It’s all me. I’ve ignored what I really feel, and what I really want.”

Tonks looked up at him, not believing what she thought she had just heard. “Could you repeat that, please?”

“Tonks, I love you,” Remus said. “Truly, I do. Look, the only reason I was shutting myself off from you is because I didn’t want to hurt you-”

“-Which you did,” Tonks cut in. Remus squeezed her hand.

“I meant physically hurt you,” Remus said. “But, I don’t ever want to hurt you. I feel horrible hurting you. Can I try one last time to persuade you to feel differently before I continue?”

“You can try,” Tonks said. “But it’s never going to work.” She laughed quietly, laying her head on Remus’ shoulder.

“Well, then, here’s my final attempt,” Remus answered, lightly stroking her hair. “Nymphadora, I am far too old, far too dangerous and far too poor for you. I could never properly provide for you, and I could be so much of a danger to you. Not to mention, your position in society would fall greatly. I’m not even sure that you would be allowed to continue being an Auror.”

“I. Don’t. Care,” Tonks said, making each word sound like one sentence. “And, I can still continue being an Auror… just not a paid one, necessarily.”

“Okay,” Remus said, sighing. “It obviously didn’t work. Are you sure that you’re positive about this, Tonks?”

“Remus, when have I ever not been positive about it?” Tonks asked. “Just kiss me and get it over with.” Her eyes sparkled mischievously as she looked up at him.

“Do you really think that I’ll kiss you when I’ve barely convinced myself at all of this?” Remus asked.

“Yes, I do,” Tonks said, and she leaned in and kissed Remus gently on the lips. After a few seconds, she pulled back. “I told you.” She smiled a bright smile.

“Okay,” Remus said. “I cannot believe I am about to say this, but, Tonks, I think I will get with you, if you want.”

“What do you think I’ve been so bloody depressed and angry over?” Tonks said, pulling Remus tightly into her arms. She was about to kiss him again, but Bill walked over.

“Oh, sorry to interrupt,” he said, smiling. “But, it’s time for dinner.”

“Okay, thanks Bill,” Remus said, standing up, grabbing Tonks’ hand in his and pulling her to her feet. “You go ahead; I need to speak with Bill.”

Tonks smiled and walked over to help Molly and Fleur serve, feeling better than she had in what felt like forever.

“I told you,” Bill said, as soon as she was gone. “Didn’t I tell you?” He was smirking, clearly enjoying having been right about Remus’ love life.

“Yes, I know,” Remus said. “And thank you. But, you can’t let anyone else know.”

“You may want to tell Tonks that,” Bill said.

“Do you think that she’ll go and tell everyone?” Remus asked, worried.

“No,” Bill answered. “But, I’d warn her anyway.”

“Alright,” Remus said, walking over to the table, joining Tonks. He leaned in close to her and whispered, “This is all a secret for the time being, okay?”

She nodded, wondering why he wouldn’t want to tell anyone; but, she was happy right now, the happiest she’d been in years, and so she didn’t question it. Instead, she just continued helping Molly and Fleur serve everyone else their meals.

Once everyone else was served, Tonks filled her plate and then went and sat over by Remus. He pulled the chair out for her.

“Thanks,” she said, smiling, quietly. Then, she turned to Ginny, who was sitting to her left and began talking to her, as well as transforming her nose at Ginny’s requests. Remus turned to his left, where Bill -Who else? Remus thought to himself- was sitting. He and his father were having a conversation concerning certain happenings that were going on at the Ministry in the past few weeks.

“Dad, is there really that much going on at the moment?” Bill asked, surveying Arthur.

“Yes, I’m afraid there is,” Arthur said. “After the Death Eaters managed to get through the Department of Mysteries, they’ve had every single person there working hard to ensure top protection. They’re even trying to find new Unspeakables, though I believe they are wrong in doing that. We’ve got plenty of great Unspeakables, and I can tell you, none of them gave anything away to the Death Eaters; they figured that out all by themselves, and with the help of You-Know-Who.” He sighed.

“So, they’re overworking you at the Ministry, are they Arthur?” Remus asked. He could see dark circles under Arthur’s eyes.

“Yes, Remus, I’m afraid that they are,” Arthur agreed. “And, they aren’t exactly paying anyone overtime at the moment, either, at least, not in my department.” He sighed again, exasperated.

“Why not, Dad?” Bill asked.

“According to the Ministry, they find that those of us protecting the Muggles don’t deserve any more pay than they earn, because their cause is for the Muggles and not the Wizarding World,” Arthur answered, rolling his eyes.

“Who said that?” Remus asked. “They are just as important as Wizards.”

“More than likely the same people who have made it hell for you to get a job,” Arthur said.

“That would make a lot of sense,” Remus replied wryly.

He looked up. The sky was beginning to darken. He saw Molly get up from the table, and go to the kitchen. She came back out seconds later, holding a large pie. She placed it on the table, and, with a flick of her wand, sliced it into ten perfectly even slices; with another flick, she sent them to the ten plates resting on the table.

Tonks tapped Remus on the shoulder. He looked over to her. “You realise you have pie on your nose, don’t you?” he asked, laughing.

“Oh, I do?” Tonks said, wiping the back of her hand across it. “Hmm, I guess I’m clumsy with my fork as well.” She smiled.

“It’s all over your teeth, too,” Remus said, laughing more.

“God, are you serious?” Tonks asked. “I can’t properly eat pie, I suppose; here, do you want it?”

“No,” Remus answered. “I’ve got my own pie, thanks.”

“Well, you still look like you could use some more,” Tonks said, but picked up her fork again and began shoveling her slice into her mouth. Remus rolled his eyes and picked up his own fork, beginning to eat his slice.

After fifteen minutes, everyone sat at the table, leaning back in their chairs, stuffed with Molly’s wonderful cooking. Fred and George were the first to go, saying something about having to get back to the shop, and working on new inventions. Remus then felt it was okay for him to leave as well, so he stood up and said, “Thank you for having me over, Molly. It was wonderful seeing all of you, but I have to be getting home now.”

“As do I,” Tonks said, standing up. She grabbed hers and Remus’ plates and walked to the kitchen; Remus followed her.

“Are you stalking me?” Tonks asked, turning around once they were in the kitchen, laughing. She placed the dishes in the sink, surprisingly carefully.

“Of course not,” Remus answered. “I just figure it’s time for me to leave.”

“Sure you do,” Tonks said. “I believe that about as much as I believe that Fred and George are innocent children.”

Remus laughed at the mere thought of Fred and George being that. He believed it to be impossible.

“Well, either way, I do believe that I was the first to say I was leaving, so I think that you would be the one stalking me.” He raised his eyebrows at her.

“Do I look like a stalker, Remus?” Tonks asked in a mock innocent voice.

“No, not really,” Remus answered. “You do, however, look like a danger to yourself.”

“How do you figure that?” Tonks asked skeptically.

“Because of how you refused to be sensible and listen to me,” Remus answered.

“I listen to my heart, not my head,” Tonks said, walking forward and pulling Remus into a hug; he kissed the top of her head, and she felt tingles run up and down her spine.

“I’m actually okay with that, at the moment,” Remus answered, kissing her again.

“Good,” Tonks said, relinquishing her hold on Remus and stepping back, looking up into his eyes. “Because I don’t think I’ve ever been happier than I am right now.”

“Neither have I,” Remus admitted, looking down at her.

Tonks laughed. “Did you, Remus John Lupin, just admit to full happiness? Did you just actually admit that this is the one time you’ve actually been overly happy?”

“Why, yes, Tonks, I do believe that I did,” Remus answered; he couldn’t help smiling.

They heard footsteps coming up to the doorway and immediately stepped apart, Tonks walking over to the sink and doing the dishes, Remus sitting down on a chair.

“As if you two weren’t just hugging,” Bill said as he walked through the door. Tonks flicked water in his direction, but it missed by a good two feet. “Oh, your aim is perfect,” Bill said, rolling his eyes. “Honestly, if you two want to keep this a secret, for one, you should choose to hug each other where others might not walk in on you, and for another, I heard the chair scraping back and the quick footsteps to the sink.” He crossed his arms and turned his head to the side, smirking.

“Um,” Tonks said, flicking water in his direction again. “Well, um-” CRASH She cut off; the plate she was holding in her hand had slipped and fallen to the floor. “Damn my clumsiness!” she hissed, bending down to pick it up.

“Are you a witch or not?” Remus asked, flicking his wand so that the plate repaired itself to normal.

“Yes,” Tonks said. “I just, um, forget that sometimes.”

“And you’re an Auror as well,” Bill said. “That must really come in handy, the times you forget.”

“Oh, come on,” Tonks said. “I don’t forget when I’m on Auror duty, as the wand is either held in my hand or in my back pocket.” She faced them fully. “But, don’t tell Mad-Eye that.”

“Why not?” Bill asked.

“Mad-Eye has a certain problem with wands in the back pockets of wizards and witches,” Tonks answered. “I suspect he’s had his buttocks blown off, as well as half his face. He wouldn’t answer me when I asked who he knew that lost a buttock.”

Remus and Bill both burst out laughing; Tonks stared at them, then began laughing as well. “Remind me to ask him that next time I see him,” Bill said.

“No!” Tonks said, gripping his arm. “I beg of you, don’t tell him. He’ll know I told you.”

“Tonks, no need to get so worked up about it,” Bill said, chuckling. “I’m not really going to ask him.”

“Oh, right,” Tonks said. “Well, I’m going to head on home, guys. It’s getting late, and I have to work tomorrow, so…”
She turned to Remus. “Care to walk me home?”

“Oh, sure, just ignore me,” Bill said, rolling his eyes.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Tonks replied. “Bill, do you want to walk me home, especially when you’ve got your Veela girlfriend sitting right outside?”

“No, why would I want to walk you home?” Bill answered. Tonks punched his arm, then turned back to Remus.

“Well?” she asked.

“Um, sure,” Remus answered. “But couldn’t you just Apparate there?”

“I could,” Tonks answered. “But, I don’t feel like it much.” She faced Bill. “Bye,” she said. “And, could you stop being such a pain?”

“No,” Bill answered. “I would if it was anyone else, but considering it’s you, I’m afraid I can’t.”

Tonks punched his arm again, then began walking out the front door; Remus followed her.

“Oh, I forgot, we have to Apparate to the street I live on though,” Tonks said. “I don’t know the way from here.”

“That’s fine,” Remus said; Tonks took his hand and turned on the spot, Disapparating to her street.

Seconds later, Tonks and Remus landed outside on a street dimly lit with street lamps. The latter tripped, forcing Remus to catch her before she hit the ground.

“You know, I do believe that I should just have my arms out ready to catch you whenever you’re around, in case you do trip,” Remus said, placing her on her feet.

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Tonks answered. “I wonder what I would do if I didn’t have you here to help me stay on my own two feet!”

“Probably injure yourself almost constantly,” Remus answered. “Thank goodness you are a witch, and are able to patch up noses and things like that pretty well.” He laughed, recalling when Tonks had broken his nose and fixed it.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Tonks replied. She slipped her hand into Remus’ and began walking.

“So, where exactly do you live?” Remus asked; they were in a neighborhood, and the houses were all rather tiny.

“I live right around the corner, in a flat,” Tonks answered.

“Oh, alright,” Remus said. Then, he remembered something. “I left my jacket at the Burrow.”

“Do you honestly think you need it, Remus?” Tonks asked. “It’s hot out here. I don’t even understand why you brought it in the first place; besides, you look much better with your sleeves rolled up like they are now, not with a jacket on.”

“Oh, I do?” Remus asked, pulling Tonks tightly to him. “Well, I think you look best with your hair pink and spiked, as it is now.”

“Are you sure that it’s like that now?” Tonks asked, placing her head against Remus’ chest as they continued walking, transfiguring her hair to a black with blue highlights waist length style.

“Well, it was two seconds ago,” Remus said, looking down at her. In the dim light, he saw what it looked like now. “Good God, Tonks. Turn it back to pink.”

“What?” she asked. “You don’t think I look beautiful with my hair like this?”

“I never said that,” Remus said.

“You implied it,” Tonks answered.

“I didn’t mean it,” Remus replied quietly. “I think you look beautiful anyway.”

“Ah, the admission of it!” Tonks said, laughing. “Well, what would you say if I was to change my features completely and you couldn’t even recognise me?”

“You mean like when you have a pig nose?” Remus asked, smiling. “I still think you look lovely then.”

“Fine,” Tonks said, and she concentrated hard, transfiguring her face. When she was done, her eyes had become slits, her nose extremely long, her ears lopsided and her lips overly large. “Still think I’m beautiful?”

“Absolutely,” Remus answered. “You’re beautiful on the inside, and that’s what matters.”

“Aw, I feel absolutely loved,” Tonks replied, returning her features to normal. She and Remus had reached the corner of the street and turned left now. “That’s my flat, right there,” Tonks said, pointing to a small white one; it was tiny, but Remus’ was even smaller than that.

They walked together over to her flat, Remus fingering his wand in his pocket in case someone decided to try and sneak up on them. Once they reached the door, Remus wrapped both arms around Tonks and kissed her lightly on the lips. “Goodnight, Tonks,” he said, pushing a lock of her “ again - pink hair behind her ear.

“Goodnight, Remus,” she replied, kissing his cheek and hugging him tightly to her. “And, you can call me Nymphadora,” she said into his shoulder, where her face rested.

“Well, then, goodnight Nymphadora,” Remus said, smiling. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye,” Tonks said, kissing him one last time swiftly on the lips. “And, Remus,” she said as she took out her wand and tapped the doorknob, unlocking it. “I do love you.”

“I do too, Nymphadora,” Remus answered.

Tonks smiled, so happy that she finally had Remus, and stepped inside her flat. The last thing she heard before she closed the door was a crack as Remus Disapparated from her doorstep.
Chapter 15: A New Form of Entertainment by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
I'm sorry this is still taking so long, you guys! I hope you are still reading... I'm terribly sorry.

I hope you like this one.
Please read and review, lovelies.
Tonks woke up with a start the next morning as her alarm clock went off at six am. “Ugh,” she groaned, slapping her hand on it to make it shut up, then climbing slowly out of bed. She shuffled over to her mirror, examining her reflection. Her pink hair was tousled and messy at the back and top; she ran her brush through it, yawning. She then turned to her closet and grabbed one of her Auror robes. She changed into them, throwing her tank and shorts on the bed.

Stretching, Tonks walked to her kitchen and grabbed a box of cereal from the pantry; she turned to the fridge and grabbed the bottle of milk. She poured the cereal and milk into a bowl, spilling some of the milk. She cleaned the mess with her wand, returned things to where they belonged and sat down to eat. A few minutes into her meal, however, she heard a tap on her window; an owl was fluttering outside.

Tonks stood up and walked over to the window and threw it open. The owl flew inside and stuck out its right leg, to which a copy of the Daily Prophet was tied. She untied it from the leg and then, prompted by the hoot of the owl, dropped a sickle into the little leather pouch tied on its leg. She stroked it, and then brought it over to the window again, sending it flying off into the slowly brightening sky.

Tonks turned back to the table, flipping open the paper and scanning it, then sitting down and eating again. There wasn’t anything of too much interest. Just the same load of horridness they’ve been coming up with ever since the Ministry incident, Tonks thought to herself, rolling her eyes and tossing the paper aside onto a pile of the last couple of days’ Daily Prophets.

Quickly, she finished her breakfast, then grabbed her favorite pair of Converse from her closet and tied them on. Then, making sure she had her wand in her pocket, she went to the front of her flat, made sure that the door was locked and then Disapparated to the Ministry of Magic, where she spent the rest of the day in her cubicle, doing tedious work for the Ministry, as well as annoying Kingsley, who, to his dislike, was in the cubicle right next to hers. Other than that bit of fun, she would’ve much rather been out doing proper Auror work, but there was nothing for anyone to do today.

Finally, five o’clock came, and Tonks practically ran out of the Ministry in her haste to get home and, possibly, the chance to see Remus. Once outside, she turned on the spot and Disapparated to her flat. Landing clumsily outside the front door, Tonks stumbled, unlocked it with a tap from her wand and stepped inside. The usual sight of her small, cluttered flat greeted her, but with one small difference; Remus was standing in the center of the room, holding a small bouquet of freshly picked flowers. Tonks nearly squealed with delight.

“Remus!” she exclaimed, running to him, hugging him tightly. “I didn’t expect to see you here.” She kissed him on the cheek. “Wait a minute,” she said, puzzled. “How did you get into my flat? And, more than that, how did you know what time I got off of work?” She stepped back, eyeing him skeptically.

Remus laughed at the expression on her face. “Why do you try and make me feel guilty about doing something for you?”

“I’m not,” Tonks answered, laughing as well. “I just want to know why I come home and find you standing in my flat, holding flowers.” She stepped forward. “Which are lovely, by the way,” she added as an afterthought.

“Okay, well, first of all, Tonks, do you honestly think that it is that hard to get into your flat when I have a wand, and all I have to say is Alohamora?” Remus asked. “And, as to knowing the time you get off work,” he added, staring at Tonks. “I heard somewhere that it’s always around five, usually, for the day time, unless something comes up, so I thought it might be nice to surprise you after your first day back at work.” He stepped forward, handing Tonks the flowers. She took them and held them up to her face, burying her nose into them and inhaling deeply.

“They smell lovely,” Tonks said, closing the last gap between her and Remus, tip-toeing to kiss him softly. Then, she raised her wand, pointing it towards a vase sitting on the cluttered table to the left of her couch. “Accio!” she said, sending the vase flying in her direction. She stretched her fingers out to try and catch it, but it missed by centimeters, hitting the wall and shattering into a thousand tiny pieces.

“Damn!” Tonks exclaimed, walking over to the pieces. “Reparo!” she said, flicking her wand, and the pieces flew back together, repairing the vase as if it was brand new. She reached out to grab it again, but Remus’ hand beat her to it, enclosing around the neck of the vase. He stood up with it, offering his free hand down to Tonks, who accepted it, pulling herself up. She set the flowers into the vase, and Remus took it to her sink, filling it with water, then bringing it back and setting it onto the table where it had previously resided. Then, he turned to Tonks.

“So, Nymphadora,” he said, smiling, enjoying having free use of her usually hated name. “What would you like to do?”

Tonks smiled, tapping her wand, sending sparks flying. “Ow!” she gasped, and quit tapping immediately. “Well,” she continued, rubbing her chin. “I was thinking… have you ever been to a skating rink?”

“A what?” Remus asked, surveying her expression to see if she was joking.

“A skating rink,” Tonks said, laughing at the expression on his face. “It’s a Muggle place where people go to have fun; and, in my case and many others, fall flat on their bums as well.”

“You’ve been there?” Remus asked.

“Of course!” Tonks exclaimed. “The skating rink is so much fun! My dad took me before when I was younger, and so, since I always make sure to have some Muggle money on hand, I treat myself to a few Muggle ways of entertainment every once in a while, and the skating rink happens to be one of my favorites.” She shrugged.

“Is it really that much fun?” Remus asked skeptically; he couldn’t understand how Tonks thought that falling on your bottom was at all fun.

“It is extremely fun!” Tonks said enthusiastically. “And, as long as you’re in jeans and a shirt, you blend right in with everyone else that is there.”

“Well, I guess that it is pretty lucky that I wore jeans again today,” Remus answered. “But you-”

“On it!” Tonks said. “Wait here for one second.” She hurried to her room, searching through her drawers. After a few seconds, she found a pair of ripped jeans and a shirt with the Muggle band The Beatles on the front of it. She threw these on, grabbed her robes and tossed them into the dirty laundry basket by her door, then went back out to the sitting room where Remus was still waiting.

“You look nice,” Remus said automatically. He read what her shirt said. “The Beatles; I think I may’ve heard of them before.”

“You probably should’ve,” Tonks answered. “They’re an old Muggle band from the sixties, and probably the biggest rock legends in the world; I can only imagine that some of the wizard rock bands, like the Weird Sisters, got their inspiration from them.” She shrugged. “Any who, are we going now, or not?”

“Yes, we are,” Remus answered. “Where is this skating rink at?” he added, holding out his arm; Tonks slipped hers into his.

“It’s actually just a couple blocks’ walk,” she answered, checking her pockets for the money. “Oops; it might be smart if I grab the money we will be needing before I walk out that door.” She slipped her arm from Remus’ and darted to the counter, where she opened a cookie jar. “See, this here is where my stash of Muggle cash is,” she said, reaching in and grabbing two twenty pound notes, slipping them into her pocket. She put the lid back on, then went back over to Remus, who held his arm out for her again. She slipped hers back where it was before, then said, “Now we can leave.”

“Alright,” Remus said, and he opened the door for the two of them, and they stepped out into the hot and muggy air. The sun was near setting to the west of them, but it was still pretty high in the sky; their only hint to it was the light pink tinge to the clouds. “Which way?” Remus asked, once Tonks turned around from locking the door.

“To the left,” Tonks said, and she and Remus began walking down the street, arm in arm still. “Oh, by the way, you might want to stuff your wand down your shirt, since it’s tucked in, so there’s less chance of it slipping out that way, and so the Muggles can’t see it.”

“Good point,” Remus answered, and he took it out of his back pocket; he was wearing long sleeves, though, so instead, he stuck in up his sleeve, above his elbow and up to his shoulder. “Do you need me to hold your wand as well?” he asked, looking down to Tonks.

“Sure,” Tonks said, and she pulled hers out of her back pocket, handing it to Remus. He unlaced his arm from hers for a second, slipping the wand up the opposite sleeve from his; he then slipped his arm back under Tonks’ and continued walking. They turned another left at the corner of her street, onto A Street, which led into a spot where there were a couple of bars, a few restaurants, a theater and the skating rink. Tonks quickened her pace, so Remus quickened his as well, and they were at the skating rink in about five minutes.

“So,” Tonks said, checking her reflection in the window outside it. “Are you nervous?”

“Should I be?” Remus asked, his nerves now beginning to get to him since Tonks pointed it out.

“No, not really,” Tonks answered. “You might fall down a few times, but not nearly as much as I’m bound to, more than likely. Trust me,” she added, seeing Remus’ skeptical look. “It is tons of fun! And, if it makes you feel better, though I don’t know how it will, children and older people come skating here all the time; it’s kind of a universal form of entertainment for every age, so… and I’ve never seen anyone too awfully injured.” Seeing his look becoming more doubtful, Tonks grabbed his hand and strode forward through the doors. “Oh, come on Remus!” she said. “I promise you, it’s a lot of fun.” She and Remus were now inside, and they could see the wooden floor in the middle of the room. “Look, there’s hardly anyone here, which will make it a lot easier, trust me!”

Remus was beginning to be intrigued by Tonks’ excitement, so he allowed himself to be dragged the rest of the way in, then used his own two feet. “Alright, Tonks, I believe you now,” Remus said over the music, some form of punk-rock that seemed like it would be fun to dance to. “So, what do we do now?”

“Come on,” Tonks said, making a beeline for the counter, behind which were long shelves with shoes that had wheels on the underside of them; Remus guessed that these were the skates and now he saw what Tonks meant about the falling part.

Tonks turned to him, tapping him lightly, bringing him out of his thoughts. “What size do you wear in shoes?” she asked.

“Oh, um, a twelve,” Remus answered. Tonks told the man behind the counter, “I need a twelve men’s and an eight women’s, please.”

“Here you go,” the man said, lifting two pairs of skates from the shelves and placing them on the counter. “That will be ten pounds.”

“Here you go,” Tonks said, handing him the money over the counter. He gave her back a ten-pound bill in exchange. “Thanks,” she said, and, grabbing both pairs of skates, motioned Remus over to a table.

“Here you are,” she said, and she handed him his pair. He took off his shoes, setting them onto the seat next to his, then pulled one of the skates on; he laced it up, then pulled on the other. In the time it took him to do that, Tonks already had both of hers on, and was standing to his side. “Hurry up slowpoke,” she said jokingly.

“I’ve never done this before,” Remus replied. “Sorry if I’m an inconvenience.”

“No worries,” Tonks said, smiling. “Here, let me do it,” she said, kneeling down, grabbing the laces and tying them up quickly. “There you are. Now, stand up and try to wheel out to the floor; if you fall, you’re already a hopeless case… but I think we’ll still make it.” She held out her hands to him; he grabbed them firmly, pulling himself off of the seat.
“Whoa,” he said, as he stumbled.

“Don’t tell me I’m going to have to catch you!” Tonks said teasingly. “Here, hold my hand, and grab the wall; it isn’t that bad, don’t worry.”

Remus laced his fingers into hers, grabbing the wall with his other hand; slowly, he began to wheel forward, becoming very slightly steadier with every step. Once they reached the floor, Tonks said, “Here, let go of the wall, now. Just keep your hand in mine; but, as a warning, when I fall, or if you fall, both of us are going down.”

Remus nodded and cautiously and slowly took his hand away from the wall. He held it out to his side, then nodded, and Tonks stepped onto the floor; Remus followed her, a bit slower, and managed to set foot on the floor without falling down. With Tonks’ nodded encouragement, he began to skate slowly across the floor, Tonks keeping her hold on his hand and going at his pace.

“There you go!” Tonks said. “You’ve got-” She winced as he fell, nearly toppling herself over, and he let out a laugh mixed with a groan. “I suppose I spoke too soon,” she mumbled quietly, reaching down her other hand and helping Remus pull himself to his feet. “Are you all right?” she asked as the two began skating again. Though, you can’t exactly call this skating, she thought to herself.

“I’m perfectly fine,” Remus answered, smiling. “It wasn’t all that bad; besides, I knew I was bound to fall, considering I’d never even so much as heard of skating before.”

“You’d never even heard of it?” Tonks asked quizzically. “Well, I suppose that makes sense, considering you grew up in a family of Wizards, and you are a werewolf.”

“Hush!” Remus hissed to her. “Anyone could hear you.”

“Believe me, they’re all having too much blasted fun to care about what other people are saying,” Tonks assured him. “Besides, I don’t think they actually could hear over this.” She raised her hand, indicating the music flowing from the speakers, now a sort of techno-dance genre.

“Okay, fine,” Remus said, realising that she was probably right. They continued skating together, Remus falling down four more times in the next five minutes, pulling Tonks down with him twice, both times apologising continuously, only for them to be waved away by Tonks.

“Don’t worry about it,” she said, laughing. “I don’t mind falling, honestly; I do it all the time, myself. Come on, let’s just have fun.”

Remus agreed, and they continued skating for the better part of three hours, hand in hand; it resulted in them falling over together a total of twenty-two times, Tonks falling ten times and Remus falling over sixteen other times. But, it had them laughing harder than they’d ever laughed before, and they were still laughing about it when they stood outside in the doorway to Tonks’ flat, saying goodnight, shielded from the rain that had begun to pour.

“Thank you so much for taking me there, Nymphadora,” Remus said, one hand around her waist, the other brushing her hair back behind her ear. “I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun before in my entire life.”

“It was nothing,” Tonks said, pulling him to her and hugging him tightly. “Besides, like you said, it was the most fun of my entire life as well.” She stretched herself up, kissing him lightly on the lips; he returned her kiss, feeling happy and elated, like never before.

“Well,” Tonks said after a few seconds. “I suppose I should probably be getting inside; I’m not an early person, and I have to get up early, and I don’t need to be getting to bed late again.”

“All right,” Remus said, squeezing Tonks to him one last time. “I suppose I’ll see you again in the next few days.”

“You will,” Tonks said, smiling. “Well, goodnight, Remus.”

“Goodnight, love,” Remus said, kissing her once more, and then stepping back, watching her step through her door. Once she was inside, he heard a squeal of delight from her, and, laughing, turned on the spot and Disapparated home.
Chapter 16: Haven't You Learned By Now? by DontCallMeNymphadora
Author's Notes:
Remus finds out Dumbledore wants him to play spy for the Order by living with the Werewolves....

Please read and review!
The next week proved to be a wonderful one for Remus and Tonks; they spent at least some time in each other’s company every day, and Tonks managed to introduce Remus to movies as well.

“They’re really good,” she said. “Basically, it’s as if you would have a Wizard photo, only it’s a lot longer than that, and there is sound.”

“And did your did your dad introduce you to this as well?” Remus asked.

“Of course,” Tonks said. “When I was a little girl, he said he wanted to show me something that Muggles did, and this was one of them; I’m really quite glad that Granddad and Grandma were Muggles… it gave me a whole new world to be involved in!”

“Well, you’re lucky then,” Remus said. “Even though my Mum was a Muggle, we still didn’t get to do all of this. I’m supposing that this is all really as fun as you say?”

“Honestly, it is,” Tonks answered. “Of course, there have been some truly sucky movies in the past, but this one is all action and romance, so I think we’ll be fine on this one.”

It turned out, the movie had actually been quite terrible, and so, for the next few days, Tonks and Remus stuck to either of their flats talking or going out to restaurants together.

But, on the seventh day of their relationship, Remus was woken up by a tapping on his window. Rubbing his eyes sleepily, he got up, stretched and walked over to the window. He was puzzled by what this could be, because he didn’t take the Prophet; there was really nothing of interest, at least that he didn’t really already know about, these days.

He opened the window, which made a creaking noise from being shut for many years, and in flew a tawny owl; Remus thought it looked like one of the owls from Hogwarts, though he wasn’t quite sure. The owl stuck its leg out, and Remus untied the letter attached to it with fumbling hands. When he tore it off, the owl fluttered back out the window, and Remus sat on his bed, examining the envelope he held in his hand; it had his name and address scrawled on the front in writing that he thought he recognised from two years previously, while employed at Hogwarts.

Sitting down on his bed, Remus slit the envelope where it was sealed, a piece of parchment falling onto the bed. He picked it up and read it through, his eyebrows furrowing together with each line. When he finished, he dropped the letter back onto the bed, placing his head in his hands and rubbing his temples. Why did Dumbledore have to do this to him now, of all times?

He picked up the letter again, reading it through once more:

Remus,

I have a mission that only you can complete for the Order. It is dangerous, and no doubt will be difficult, but I have faith in you. Remus, I need you to play spy for the Order amongst the werewolves underground. Convince them that you are on Voldemort’s side, for that is the side that the vast majority of them favor; their leader is Fenrir Greyback.


Here, Remus gasped; though he’d read it once already, it hadn’t registered with him before. He forced his eyes back to the page.

You will need to keep your cover hidden, not letting any of them, especially Fenrir, so much as even think that you are on any side other than Voldemort’s. I have complete trust and faith in you, Remus, and I do not, even for a second, think that you are at all incapable of this. If you agree to this, I will need you to be ready in four days time, and after that, not a second can be wasted. If not, then you will remain here, if you wish, but I urge you to consider this, Remus, as it could help us with so much in the end. Please send word with this owl.

Albus Dumbledore


Suddenly, there was another tap at the window, and the owl flew back in, apparently remembering what it was supposed to do. Remus went through his bedside drawer and found a spare piece of parchment and a pen, scrawling a quick I accept this, Albus onto it, then tying it around the owl’s leg, sending it into the morning light. Then, he collapsed back onto his bed, rubbing his temples again, wondering how that inconvenient little owl could’ve just turned his nearly perfect life into what could only be a whirlwind of turmoil.

Stretching, Remus got up and got dressed. Not caring much for breakfast or other necessities at the moment, he threw his shoes on, then turned on the spot and Disapparated to Tonks’ flat, praying that she was at home. He knocked on her door, but heard nothing from inside, nothing falling over and crashing down, so he could only suppose that she was at work today.

Muttering under his breath, he instead chose to Disapparate to the Weasleys’, where maybe Bill would be available to talk to. He didn’t know exactly how this could help him, but Bill had already gotten him through one rough aspect of his life, why not see if he could ease at least some of how difficult this one was?

When he arrived, he found Bill reading a book under the same tree where he and Tonks had gotten together the last week; Bill looked up from it when he heard the crack.

“Remus,” he said, closing the book and dropping it onto the ground, coming over and clapping him on the back. “How’re things going between you and Tonks?”

“Um, that’s what I want to talk to you about, Bill,” Remus said, grimacing.

“Oh, no,” Bill said, shaking his head. “You’ve already hurt her, haven’t you? God, Remus, anyone who didn’t know you would think that you take pleasure in hurting this poor girl.”

The words stung Remus, and he restrained from hitting Bill. “How could you think that?” he asked, almost in a whisper. “Do you really think that, for even a second, I want to hurt her?”

“No, of course not,” Bill said, holding up his hands. “I was just saying that-”

“Can you just listen, please Bill?” Remus asked in a semi-exasperated voice, sighing. Bill nodded, sitting down at the table. Remus took the seat across from him.

“All right, Remus,” Bill said, surveying him. “What is it this time, if you haven’t broken her heart again?”

Remus sighed again. “That’s just it; I’m going to have to break her heart again, but not for the same reasons.” He wondered if he should tell Bill, then decided that he could, since Bill was in the Order. “Dumbledore wants me to play spy for the Order with the werewolves.”

Bill opened his mouth in silent shock. “Th-there’s no way that Dumbledore would want you to put yourself in that much danger,” he said skeptically.

“If you need the proof, then here’s the letter,” Remus said, taking the envelope from his pocket and flipping it across to Bill, who slid it open, pulled out the note, and read, his brow furrowing together the farther down he read. When he was finished, he tossed the letter to Remus, asking, “What the hell is Dumbledore playing at?”

All Remus could do is shrug, because he honestly didn’t have any idea either. Bill continued.

“So, basically, Dumbledore wants you to commit suicide?” Bill asked, enraged. “Because, in my opinion, sending you to be a spy with the werewolf who turned you into one himself is just asking you to get yourself killed.”

“It’s for the Order, though, Bill,” Remus said, sighing. “I don’t think Dumbledore would intentionally get me killed; he’s such a great man, and was the reason I was actually able to get a job.”

“Well, I don’t think that you should do it,” Bill said. “That’s my opinion; oh, and I’m sure that it will be Tonks’ as well.”

“Well,” Remus said, sighing once more. “I’ve already sent a letter back saying I would accept this-”

“So send another one, and say you can’t, that something came up!” Bill said furiously. “Don’t you see, this is only going to hurt Tonks even deeper and worse, far worse, than she already is?”

“Bill,” Remus said, his voice full of emotion. “Do you really think that I wish to hurt Tonks any more than I have already? I wouldn’t dream of it, if it weren’t for this. Dumbledore needs me to do something for him, and I can’t refuse it; besides, Tonks is in the Order, she’ll understand.”

“So that’s it?” Bill asked, looking at Remus, a mixture of curiosity, pity and anger on his face. “She’ll understand because she’s in the Order? Sure, her head will understand… but, do you honestly think that her heart will? That’s what will hurt her, Remus. She’s intelligent; she’ll understand why you’ve got to leave, but only in her head. In her heart, she’ll never understand it. Even then, she may just fake having to see why, Remus. Haven’t you learned by now that Tonks follows her heart much more than her head? Even if you were in front of her, transformed, dangerous, she wouldn’t listen to the sensible part of her mind. She would listen to her heart, and walk towards you as if you were an innocent puppy.”

Remus flinched at the thought, realising that Bill was right. “I’ve still got to do this,” he said, keeping his voice calm, controlled. “I- I know it will hurt her; it hurts me just to know that I’ll be breaking her all over again, when her heart is just barely repaired as it is.” When my heart is barely happy to be beating, as well, he added in his head.

“Then, don’t do it,” Bill said, shrugging his shoulders. “You never swore your life over to Dumbledore, did you? You never swore to him that you would kill yourself on his behalf.”

Remus wished it could only be that easy, to just stay at home, content as he was. “Look, Bill,” he said, quietly. “I have to do this. If it ends up protecting Tonks in the long run, then that’s good, isn’t it? And, no, of course I didn’t sign my life off to Dumbledore, but the Order is to protect the Wizarding World… and, the Muggle World, really. When I signed up, I knew it would be dangerous. But, I also knew how many people I would be helping, and I thought it would be a good thing to go against Voldemort. Not to mention, he killed one of my best friends. If me playing spy for the Order will help in any way to protect Tonks, then I will do it, no matter what the pain.”

“Wow,” Bill said, looking at Remus incredulously. “You’re absolutely insane. I can’t believe that you’re going to give up what you have with Tonks and just leave, for who knows how long, to go live with werewolves, who not only live underground and away from civilization, but their leader is the reason that you are a werewolf. Not to mention, doesn’t it scare you that they don’t exactly associate with, forgive me, normal humans, and that when they do, it is likely to attack them?” He raised an eyebrow at Remus, the look of incredulity still on his face.

“Bill,” Remus said, trying to think of a way to dissuade his opinion. “Can you look at it this way, do you think?” Bill folded his hands and sat back; Remus continued. “What if Dumbledore asked you to do something “ anything - for the Order, and you knew that if you consented to do it, whatever it was would end up protecting Fleur and your family in the long run? Would you just sit back and do nothing, just act as if you can’t do something because of your own personal gain, not the world? Bill, could you truly do that? And, wouldn’t Fleur understand as well? I’m sure she wouldn’t ask you to just sit at home. She’d probably want you to do what you had to do, even if it hurt her.” When Bill said nothing, Remus went on.

“Look Bill,” he said, sighing. “I’m trying to get you to see my point of view on this. Obviously, you aren’t going to. So, flat out, Bill, this is my choice; I’ve already decided that I’m going to spy, and not just for Dumbledore, but for the Order, for Tonks. I know it’s going to hurt both Tonks and myself. It will probably be my own personal Hell, and I know it will be for Tonks… unless she finds someone else.” He clenched his teeth together as he said this, and a dead look appeared in his eyes as he tried to imagine Tonks, happy, smiling and laughing, with someone younger, richer and better than himself; it hurt too much to even think about it.

“Don’t you get it?” Bill asked, a smug look on his face, finally speaking. “She won’t find someone else; ever. She’s dead-set in love with you, no matter what it is that you do. You could break her heart a thousand times over, and she’d still love you. That’s the one thing you don’t ever have to worry about, though knowing you, you’re liable to do that anyway.”

“Thanks, Bill,” Remus said sarcastically.

“Well,” Bill said. “I guess you’re dead-set on doing this then.” He spoke it as a statement, looking at Remus imploringly.

Remus nodded solemnly. “Yes,” he said. “Especially if it could help the ones I love, in the long run, no matter what happens to me.”

“Okay, then,” Bill said. “Good luck then. I do hope you enjoy Hell.”

“That’s nice of you,” Remus muttered, standing up. “And, I still don’t know when I’ll be leaving, so, I’m not in Hell yet.”

“Oh, I didn’t mean the werewolves, as of now,” Bill said, placing a hand on Remus’ shoulder. “I meant Tonks. You’re in for a wonderful time, tonight. I hope you have fun.” He clapped Remus’ shoulder and walked into the Burrow, leaving Remus dreading what he had to do even more than he already was.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=74616