Ink Stains by bluemoon13
Summary: The joys of the holidays are in the air. As many children wonder what is under their Christmas tree, there is only one thought on Severus' mind. Willshe like it?



Written by bluemoon13 of Hufflepuff for the November One-Shot Challenge.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1533 Read: 1580 Published: 11/15/07 Updated: 11/15/07

1. Chapter 1 by bluemoon13

Chapter 1 by bluemoon13
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my betas: chasing_willow, thegirllikeme and solmenlyswear_x! Disclaimer: The characters aren't mine.
  • It was for her.

    The clock had long ago struck midnight. All was quiet except for the sound of a scratching quill that indicated someone was awake. The candlelight flickered, creating shadows that danced eerily against the wall. His eyes prickled with fatigue and his muscles ached for sleep. But none of that mattered to Severus Snape. It was for her.

    Severus sat at his desk in the tiny, cramped room, hunched over a yellowing piece of paper. Abandoned scraps of parchment and empty ink bottles littered his bedroom floor, the remains of many attempts that had fallen short of his hope for perfection. There was no doubt in Severus’ mind that this could be anything less than perfect, because that was the only way to capture her image.

    She was perfect. From the way her green eyes sparkled, to how she always chewed a strand of her hair when she was thinking, Lily was so full of life and magic. Being around her was so easy, and she was always willing to help a friend.

    Lily was his friend. He held the parchement at arms length, gazing with a critical eye. He allowed his mind to drift, sifting through out memories…

    ~*~
    Leave him alone!"

    The bullies had been rather suprised by this fierce ten-year old. Not used to resistance from,
    anyone, let alone someone half a head shorter than them, they had wisely chosen to back away.

    “Thanks,” Severus had said feeling slightly awkward at having just been defended by anyone, especially a girl.

    “No problem,” Lily had said cheerfully. “We’re friends, aren’t we? Sherbet Lemon?” she added, pulling some sweets from her pocket.

    Friends? Severus had looked at Lily in surprise. Friends? It had been a word he had heard before, but had never truly understood it, nor had he ever had the word directed toward him. Was it possible? Could he have a friend? Could they be friends?

    “Yes, I suppose we are,” Severus had said with a slight smile. But he had felt his insides lift as he accepted the proffered candy.
    I have a friend, he thought.

    Severus made a few more dashes with his quill, and then looked at his ink-stained fingers in satisfaction. It was as perfect as his skills would allow. Severus didn’t think he would ever be able to get even close, but he felt that this was the best he could do. He only hoped it was enough for her.

    He blew gently on the ink before testing it carefully. Determining it dry, he rolled the parchment up and tied it with a green ribbon. He placed the scroll on his bedside table and smiled in spite of himself.

    Severus yawned. His body screamed for sleep, and he crawled into bed.

    ~*~
    There is always a moment on Christmas morning when you have just woken up, that feels like every other day. Then your brain remembers that it isn't just any other day; it's Christmas! The joy and wonder that can only come with Christmas morning fills every inch of you, giving you the necessary energy to propel yourself out of bed.

    Severus’ Christmas joy was promptly shattered by the sound of two yelling voices.

    Just like every other day.

    Severus sighed. He wondered if anyone would notice if he just stayed in bed. His eyes fell on Lily’s present, waiting on the edge of his desk.

    Lily.

    He jumped out of bed and raced to get dressed.

    ~*~
    “We’ve been through this before, Eileen. I don’t want to deal with this!”

    “Good morning,” said Severus quietly. Neither parent noticed him as Severus quickly ate his breakfast. Neither Eileen nor Tobias said a word to him or acknowledged his presence; they were too wrapped up in their own argument.

    “You don’t have choice, Tobias! He’ll be eleven in a few weeks!”

    They often talked about him as if he weren’t in the room. They were always yelling, always arguing. Tobias Snape could not handle the idea of magic, so obviously Severus was a sore disappointment to him. Tobias had wanted a normal son.

    Severus placed his dishes in the sink, slid on a coat and held Lily’s present in his right hand. He slowly undid the lock on the back door. “I’m going out,” he said. Not that it mattered; they didn’t hear him anyway. “Merry Christmas,” he added, as he slipped out the door.

    It was as if he had never been in the room at all.

    ~*~
    Snow crunched under Severus’ feet as he made his way to the Evans household. It was a bit of a walk, but his parents actually noticing he was gone would be the best Christmas present he could ask for.

    Pushing away bad memories, he focused instead on slippery sidewalks and red-heads on swings. The sharp winter wind made his fingers numb and froze the tips of his ears, but he barely noticed as he wondered what her reaction would be.

    What if Lily didn’t like his Christmas present?

    The thought struck Severus like a knife. Now that he thought about it, his present wasn’t that great. Would she expect a great present from a friend? What if she hated it?

    He shook his head as if to dispel such notions from it. She would like it, he told himself, although the doubt was still forming in his mind. In truth, Lily’s opinion meant everything to him. Usually he didn’t care what other people thought, but Lily was different. Lily cared. Lily was his friend.
    She would like it. She had to.

    ~*~
    “Can I go give my present to Sev? Please, Mum?” begged Lily Evans.

    Mrs. Evans considered her daughter carefully. “Oh, fine. But be back soon. Christmas is a time for family.”

    “I will be!” promised Lily. She grabbed her coat, pulled on her favourite red boots and raced out the front door. She was so excited she bumped into someone, just outside the gate. A familiar, slightly amused chuckle told her who it was as she sat in the soggy snow. “Oh, sorry, Sev! I was just going to find you!” she said, gratefully taking the hand he offered her.

    “That’s all right.” Severus was always breathless around her. She was so energetic and bright; he felt shallow and cold in comparison. But Lily had a unique way of finding good in people, even when others could find none.

    “Here’s your Christmas present. I really hope you like it!” Lily handed him a brightly coloured package.

    Severus accepted it with a quiet thank you, hiding his surprise. He hadn’t once thought that Lily might have a present for him. He hadn’t really been expecting any Christmas presents at all. “Go on!” said Lily. “Open it!”

    Severus did not tear it open all at once. Instead he opened it slowly and carefully, wanting to save the paper. He smiled when saw the bag of Sherbet Lemons. He hadn’t forgotten that day and neither had Lily.

    But now it was his turn. A wave of nervousness overtook him. His hand trembled as the tightly rolled scroll passed into her hand. It could have only taken a few seconds for Lily to unroll the parchment, but to Severus it felt like hours.
    Light flakes of snow began to fall, creating the picture of a perfect Christmas. But what if she didn’t like it?

    “Sev?” she spoke at last. “Did you draw this?”

    His eyes were fixed on the white ground. He could only nod.

    “It’s beautiful!”

    Severus looked up, unable to hide his surprise this time. It was just a sketch of Lily on a swing. He knew it couldn’t be accurate. He had done it from memory, and it was nothing compared to the real thing.

    “Thank-” she began to say, but she was interrupted by a shout from inside the house.

    “Lily! Mum says to come inside! Grandma and Grandpa will be here soon!”

    “I’m coming!” She turned back to Severus. “Thanks, Sev. It’s really amazing.”

    Severus blushed at her praise. It was an incredible feeling that came with being liked, accepted, and loved. The knowledge that her happiness and joy came from something he had made her filled Severus with something he could not describe. Her smile made him happy; her joy made his heart lift.

    “Lily, hurry up!”

    Lily sighed. “I better go,” she said. Suddenly, she leaned closer. Severus felt his heart race. Her flowery scent made him feel almost dizzy.

    It was a soft, light kiss, just on the cheek.

    But it made Severus’ heart do back flips.

    Merry Christmas, Sev,” she whispered. And then she was gone.

    Severus stood in the snow, breathing hard. Snowflakes flew gently around him. Until now, Severus had never fully appreciated the beauty of snow, the wonders of Christmas, or the joys of giving. A hand went to his cheek, where she had kissed him. “Merry Christmas, Lily,” he whispered.

    Although he did not know it at the time, from that moment on, Severus Snape would never be anything but hers.
    This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75000