A Lily and a Swan by unicorngirl22
Summary: A short Lily/Severus one-shot for the November One shot challenge:Young Love. Lily and Severus's friendship is starting. Lily and Petunia are growing apart and Lily finds another friend to help her.



I am unicorngirl22 of Hufflepuff house.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1080 Read: 1816 Published: 11/17/07 Updated: 11/18/07

1. Chapter 1 by unicorngirl22

Chapter 1 by unicorngirl22
It was a sunny day, but Lily wasn‘t feeling particularly happy. Petunia was at a friend’s house and Lily was bored without her. She sat on one of the swings and looked down at the ground gloomily.

Why did Petunia have to leave me all alone? She knows that I don’t have any friends my age, Lily thought angrily. She was too caught up in her thoughts to notice a young boy with greasy, black hair walk up behind her.

“You mind if I swing with you?” he asked. Lily gasped out of surprise

“I-uh- not at all,” she stammered. Her cheeks grew hot and she could feel the colour rising in them.

“You didn’t notice me coming, did you?” Severus smirked at her.

“How’d you tell?” Lily asked curiously.

“It was kind of hard not to notice,” he answered with a smile. “So, what’s wrong? You look sad.”

“It’s-it’s nothing.” Her cheeks burned again as she said it. “It’s silly. I guess I just feel alone without Tuney.”

“Is she still mad at you? For, you know, being a witch?” he asked.

“I think she is. We‘ve been close forever and now she‘s always trying to avoid me.” Lily sighed. Her eyes started to water slightly and she turned her face away. She didn’t want Severus to see her cry.

“Don’t worry about her! Come on, we’re going to Hogwarts soon! Who cares what a dumb Muggle thinks?” he exclaimed.

“I care, because this Muggle is my sister.” Lily stood up and stomped away. As soon as her back was turned, tears poured down her face.

She hadn’t gone straight home after that. She had stopped behind a bush to wipe her eyes and get herself together. She wasn’t upset anymore, she was angry. How dare Severus insult her sister. Severus was nice sometimes, but other times he could be so ignorant.

She walked back to her house for dinner. She knew it was close to dinnertime because her stomach had just rumbled with hunger. She arrived home just as Petunia was getting home. She stalked past Lily and into the house. Lily followed her, feeling the familiar emotion of hurt.

The food could be smelled from the hallway. Lily washed up and then sat down to eat with the rest of her family. It had been quiet at mealtimes, since everyone had found out about Lily being a witch. Petunia had stopped talking to everyone, and she was usualy the most talkative. Lily was okay with the silence today. She really didn’t feel like talking.

After dinner, Lily helped her mum wash the dishes and then went upstairs to read. She was hoping it would take her mind off everything.

Lily looked up from her book as a knock came from the other side of her bedroom door.

“Come in!” Lily called. Lily’s mum walked in, her long red hair, that resembled Lily’s so much, danced behind her. Behind her mother was Severus. He looked rather glum.

“Lily, dear, this young boy just knocked on the door. He told me he was here to see you. Is he a friend of yours?” Her mother looked at her questioningly. Lily nodded.

Her mother left the room and Severus stood shyly by the door. Lily sat up straight and patted a spot on the bed.

“Come sit down and stop acting shy,” Lily said, a little irritated. He walked over and sat down on the spot Lily patted.

“Here, I brought you this,” he mumbled as he shoved a small package into her hands. Lily opened it to find a lily and a small paper swan inside. She smiled.

“Thanks, Severus. But, why are you giving me this? And, how did you make this gorgeous swan?” She looked up at him curiously, wondering what she did to deserve this gift from him.

“Well, I felt bad for earlier today, at the park. I could tell you were upset when you left, and I felt bad. This is my way of apologizing, because it was kind of my fault,” he said uncertainly. “Oh, and I made the swan following directions from a book I borrowed, from the library. I hope you like it. It reminded me of you because you‘re pretty.” He blushed.

“Well, thanks. I appreciate it.” She pecked him on the cheek. His face turned the color of Lily’s hair and he looked flustered.

“I better go. I snuck out while my parents were fighting again. See you tomorrow!” Severus walked out, smiling.

Lily fell asleep that night in a very good mood. For once in her life, it felt like she had an actual friend.

In the morning, after Lily had eaten and gotten dressed, Severus had come over to the house asking her if she wanted to go for a walk with him. She accepted, since Petunia was gone again, and she’d probably be bored if she stayed home all day.

They were sitting on the grass in the park, talking. Lily was picking up flowers and making a flower crown out of them as Severus watched her.

“I’m glad I came for a walk with you today,” Lily said softly. “I’m having more fun here, talking to you, than I would have had at my house by myself.”

“I’m having fun, too. I like talking to you, because you listen. Not many people listen to me. Actually, most people don’t even notice me.” Severus looked down and played with a piece grass.

“I notice you. You’re my only friend, besides Tuney. I am your friend, right?” she asked.

“Of course you are! Your the only person who’s nice to me, and my first friend.” He gave her a reassuring smile.

“We’re going to be friends at Hogwarts, too, right?” she asked with a cute smile.

“Of course, we’ll be friends for a long time. Maybe even forever,” Severus exclaimed. And maybe even something more, he thought. He looked over at Lily, who had finished making her flower crown and had put it on her head. She looked very pretty with her long flowing red hair and her stunning green eyes. She looked like a queen with the flower crown layed lightly on her head. Severus couldn’t help hoping that someday she’d be his queen.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75066