As Happily Ever After As They're Gonna Get by cjbaggins
Summary: My take on the first of those 'nineteen years' between the 36th chapter of DH and the epilogue.

Warnings: contains an unusually-shaped ring, a nosy neighbour, a rude shop assistant, shaving mishaps, thoughtful gestures, threatening goblins, and, unexplained appearances of Romantic!Ron and Romantic!Harry. You have been warned.

Rating is for *mild* innuendo and *mostly* innocent interactions but I wouldn't let my 9 year old read it.
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 65868 Read: 266853 Published: 11/23/07 Updated: 11/18/12

1. Chapter 1 - Summer That Year by cjbaggins

2. Chapter 2 - Muggle Studies by cjbaggins

3. Chapter 3 - Letters from Home by cjbaggins

4. Chapter 4 - Home Again, Home Again by cjbaggins

5. Chapter 5 - Popping the (First) Question by cjbaggins

6. Chapter 6 - Errands by cjbaggins

7. Chapter 7 - Two Gifts and a Quarrel by cjbaggins

8. Chapter 8 - First Names, Syrup, and Trust by cjbaggins

9. Chapter 9 - Revelations by cjbaggins

10. Chapter 10 - Birthdays, Deaths, and Tournaments by cjbaggins

11. Chapter 11 - In Memoriam by cjbaggins

12. Chapter 12 - Routines and Risks by cjbaggins

13. Chapter 13 - Popping the Question, revisited by cjbaggins

14. Chapter 14 - More Letters from Home by cjbaggins

15. Chapter 15 - Champions by cjbaggins

16. Chapter 16 - The First Task by cjbaggins

17. Chapter 17 - Yuletide by cjbaggins

18. Chapter 18 - The Second Task by cjbaggins

19. Chapter 19 - Fear, Flowers, and Forgiveness by cjbaggins

20. Chapter 20 - Interlude by cjbaggins

21. Chapter 21 - NEWTS by cjbaggins

Chapter 1 - Summer That Year by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer - with the exception of Mrs. Lancaster, Ezmelda and Aisha and their teammates (not including Gwenog Jones of course) who turn up much later, all of the characters included here were created by J.K. Rowling. I'm just taking them for a spin around the block, I'll put ‘em back, I promise.


Introduction

The approval of the crowd was deafening, so loud that the tremendous noise registered as a bizarre almost absence of sound. Exhilarated, but exhausted, I executed a somewhat wobbly dive; I was eager to be back on the ground. Dismounting my broom, my spent body shook terribly, and I was suddenly unsure of my ability to stand, let alone walk off the Quidditch pitch.

I needn’t have worried; as soon as my feet touched the grass, the crowd broke free of the evidently flimsy barricades and surged towards me, the roar of their praise louder still, and hoisted me into the air. As they carried me joyously about the pitch, I desperately searched the faces for the one I sought above all others. It wasn’t among those supporting me, nor was it still over in the stands. My heart lurched. Where was “ I breathed a long sigh of relief. There. With our friends. And the grin I saw had to be as big as my own. My ears throbbing from the din, my wearied limbs trembling uncontrollably now, I nevertheless revelled in the euphoria around me as it slowly sunk in:

I was their hero.

I was the Triwizard Champion.





Chapter 1 - Summer That Year

Summer was glorious that year. It was as if Voldemort and his followers had had a grip even on nature, and now that they were gone, everything was liberated: the sun was brighter, the leaves greener, the air fresher, the water more refreshing, the sky a deeper blue. Life at The Burrow was wondrous as well, in a simple, wonderfully-ordinary way, for Harry and Hermione had returned there with the Weasleys after Voldemort’s defeat to attend Fred’s funeral and to spend the summer months with the family. Harry relished his time there, in the time he got to spend with Ginny and the others. It was much the same as always: two or three-a-side Quidditch matches in the orchard, gnome-throwing distance competitions, long walks beside the creek, and superbly-delicious meals prepared for them by Mrs. Weasley.

Much was different, however. Fred’s death had torn a huge and ragged hole in the family and the days were subdued without him. Bereft of his twin, George was painfully quiet, and Harry had, on more than one occasion, walked in on each member of the family as they were just wiping their eyes or suddenly having to blow their nose.

In the room he shared with Ron, Harry had another almost constant reminder of Fred’s passing: out the window every morning he could see the grave in the village cemetery, high on the hill overlooking Ottery-St. Catchpole. He could have avoided looking at it quite easily but he didn’t. For although he no longer felt guilt over Fred’s death, he chose to seek it out each day when he arose; it reminded him of the loyalty of this family, the sacrifice of friends, the love that others felt for him.

It made him feel blessed.




Over a very enjoyable breakfast one Saturday morning, two weeks after the battle and the day after Percy had bid his family a fond farewell and returned to his own flat, Harry was helping himself to a second omelette when Hermione suddenly announced, “I’ll have to leave soon.”

All eyes turned to her and everyone began talking at once.

“Leave?” repeated Mr. Weasley.

“Whatever for?” demanded Mrs. Weasley.

“Where are you going?” Ginny asked.

“Why, Hermione?” George and Harry wondered.

She smiled at the stream of queries and replied, matter-of-factly, “Yes. Leave. It’s my parents. I have to find them, undo the memory charm on them, bring them back home.”

“Oh, yes. Of course,” everyone murmured. It was obvious that the details of the battle at Hogwarts, and dealing with its aftermath over the last couple of weeks, had caused them all to forget that Hermione’s parents were somewhere in Australia, even she wasn’t sure exactly where, and they had no recollection of who they really were, nor that they even had a daughter at all.

“Are you going alone?” Ginny asked, the worry on her face apparent.

Ron reached for Hermione’s hand and gave it a squeeze. “No,” he said, answering for her. “I’ll be with her.”

“Well, thank goodness for small favours,” Mrs. Weasley said, noticeably relieved that the young woman wouldn’t be travelling alone.

Harry, although reluctant to head off again with the two of them so soon after their much too-recent adventures, nevertheless knew he had to ask the question. “Do you need me to go, too?”

“Or me?” Ginny promptly put in.

“Oh, they don’t need you to go, dear,” Mrs. Weasley said, before the others could respond. “But I know I’d feel better if Harry went with them ...” She looked hopefully at her son and his girlfriend.

“Mum!” Ginny cried, again before Ron and Hermione could answer Mrs. Weasley. “Why do you do that? Why do assume that I wouldn’t be able to handle myself? That I wouldn’t be much use? You do remember I’m almost of age now, right?”

“Now, Ginny, don’t start.” Mrs. Weasley sounded exasperated. “That’s not what I meant at all ...”

“Then what exactly did you mean?” Ginny demanded.

As the two of them continued their all too-familiar argument, Harry took the opportunity to catch his friends’ eyes and raised his brows, jerking his chin towards the sitting room. Getting up, the three of them tidied their breakfast things and headed into the other room to talk.

“Well?” Harry began. “I haven’t heard an answer from you two, yet.”

Ron and Hermione exchanged a brief glance before Hermione replied, “Thanks for the offer, Harry. You, er, you know I really appreciate it.”

“But you don’t want me.”

Hermione opened her mouth to protest but Ron spoke first. “And after all the fun we had last year too ... We must be mad not to take you up on your offer.”

“Ignore him,” Hermione said, rolling her eyes. “Honestly, Harry? I really do appreciate the offer, but “ and it has nothing to do with not wanting you to go “ but I figured after everything you went through last year ... Plus, I have no way of knowing how long this will take, or if I’ll even be able to find them. I just don’t want to put you to all that trouble, maybe for nothing.”

“Oh, but you’ll put me, though. Cheers.”

Harry and Hermione both pretended Ron hadn’t spoken. “You know I wouldn’t see it as trouble,” Harry said quietly.

“I know.”

He sighed. “Won’t be the same without you here.”

Hermione nodded. “We’ll send owls if we can, although I have no idea if there are any wizarding communities in that area ...” She glanced at Ron. “We might need to find that out ...”

Ron nodded. “I’ll ask Dad what he can uncover for us.” He headed back into the kitchen.

Harry watched him go before asking, “When do you leave?”

“As soon as possible. Day or two at most, I hope.”

Harry shot her a sharp look. “You’re worried about them.” Her eyes welled up at his words and he knew she had been planning this for days, concentrating on the tasks at hand without allowing her worry, her fear for their safety, or the thought of not even being able to find them, get to her. His eyes softened as he watched her. “Hermione ...” he murmured. “C’mere.” He reached out his arms and she threw herself into them, clinging tightly, and began to sob, her body shaking against his. “They’re fine, Hermione,” he told her. “They are. I’m sure they are. And you’ll find them. I know you will.”

She pulled away to dig in the front of her jeans for a tissue. Not finding one, she sniffed vigorously, and tried to mop her eyes with her hands. “You don’t know that,” she said, her tone accusatory. Harry reached for the box of tissues on the sideboard and grabbed a handful, passing them to her. She took them gratefully and started wiping her face.

“Yeah, I do,” he retorted. “Everything we’ve gone through, Hermione? The number of times you saved our necks at the last minute? You’ll find them. No doubt in my mind.”

“And we’ll stay there until we do,” Ron added, coming back into the sitting room.

“Huh,” Ginny remarked, entering just behind him, “that’s not you being supportive is it? Are you not feeling well?”

“What else are we going to do?” Ron went on, as if Ginny hadn’t spoken. “Stick around here and listen to Mum and Ginny shout at each other? No thanks.” He made his way over to Hermione and draped his arm over her shoulder as Ginny pulled a face in his direction.

“Now, take a seat,” Ron added, “Dad’s sent an owl so he’ll have more info later, but for now, this is what he’s told me ...”

So the four of them sat down, Ron in an armchair, the others on the settee. But as Ron outlined what details he had at the moment, and tentative plans were begun, Harry listened with only half an ear. Even though he would much rather stay at The Burrow with Ginny than join them in Australia, he remembered with a fleeting longing all the plans they had made for their undertakings the previous year and a part of him couldn’t help feeling left out at the prospect of not sharing this adventure with his friends. Realizing he was being somewhat childish, though, he pushed aside his mutinous feelings and pulled himself back to the conversation at hand.

It was over an hour later that the quartet went in search of the others. They found them in the back garden: Mr. and Mrs. Weasley hanging out a load of washing, George surreptitiously controlling a bumble bee to buzz continually near his father’s right ear, and having to choke back laughter as Arthur kept swatting with increasing impatience at it. The three of them looked over at Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny’s approach

“We’ve, um, we’ve ironed out a few things,” Hermione began, hesitantly.

Mr. Weasley motioned towards the garden chairs. “Let’s hear it, then,” he prompted after they had all taken a seat and Hermione had made no move to continue.

“Well,” she said, “we started with transport. With the risks involved with Trans-Oceanic-Apparition, we’ve ruled out Apparating to Australia ...”

“Very wise,” murmured Mr. Weasley.

“Much too dangerous,” agreed Mrs. Weasley.

“ ... and it’s ever so far, so that leaves off broomsticks,” Hermione went on. “So, for such a long distance, we decided that taking Muggle air travel was the only option.”

Mrs. Weasley looked uneasy at the thought but her husband cried out, “On an aeroplane? How marvelous!”

Hermione shot an anxious look at Ron and Harry. “Well,” she asserted, “not that marvelous. The, er, the, the fees are quite horrendous ... I can manage my fare alright, but um ...” She trailed off, not wishing to say anything that would embarrass the Weasleys.

But Mr. Weasley quickly cut in. “Not to worry, my dear,” he assured her. “With that new promotion at the Ministry, thanks to Kingsley, I’ve had a tremendous pay rise. We’ll cover Ron’s fare. Won’t be an issue.”

The relief was obvious on Hermione’s face. She had been very nervous about this point, Harry knew. Much more confidently all of sudden, she continued, “Now the only thing is, taking Muggle transportation, it would be best if we left from a Muggle location. The only fitting one, in non-magical terms, would be my house. That means we would pack our things here, then Disapparate to my parents’ house, making it our base for all the Muggle arrangements, then Ron and I would leave from there when it’s time.”

The others nodded slowly, taking it all in. “Oh,” Hermione added, “it would great if you could all come with us.” She indicated Ron’s parents as well as Ginny and Harry. “I need Harry’s help with the Muggle things, and if you two are taking care of the bill for Ron’s flight ...”

Mrs. Weasley looked decidedly uncomfortable. “Well, I’m not really sure that we should all leave,” she began, casting a quick look at George. He caught on immediately and shook his head.

“No worries, Mum. I won’t be alone, if that’s what you’re thinking. I’m heading back to Diagon Alley tomorrow. To the shop.”

They all expressed surprise at this but George raised his hands to quiet them. “Of course I’m sure,” he said. “I’ve got nothing to do here but wallow. Besides, after all the work we put in? Fred would never have forgiven me if I just gave it up.” He shot Harry a grin. “After all, seems to me I was once told that when things are tough, that’s the time we all need a good laugh.”

Harry returned the grin, remembering that very sentiment he’d expressed when he’d given the twins his Triwizard Tournament winnings.

“That’s all settled, then,” Ron put in. “George heads to London tomorrow and the rest of us to the Grangers’.”

“And therefore I need to pack,” George said, getting to his feet. He winked at his parents before going. “Good thing you’ll be there to keep an eye on this lot.” He jerked his head at the two young couples. “Never know what sort of hanky-panky they’d get up to without proper chaperones.” He turned, and deftly stepping over the leg Ron had shot out to trip him, he laughed, and headed to the house.
Chapter 2 - Muggle Studies by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
Many heartfelt thanks to my wonderful husband for his explanation of how a vacuum cleaner works.

Astute fans (aren't you all?) will recognize Ron's line to Hermione - "Are you a witch or aren't you?" - these are, of course, Ms Rowling's own words. I'm just borrowing them.

As always, I'm also borrowing these characters (except Mrs. Lancaster, and you can keep her). I'll put them all back, I promise!
Chapter 2 - Muggle Studies


So it was, then, that the following morning found the five Weasleys and their two guests down at the end of the back garden, clustered around George and his trunk, saying their goodbyes.

“Let’s make this quick,” George urged, “before Ron here starts blubbering.” Turning quickly to Ginny and Hermione, thereby missing his brother’s glare, he kissed both girls lightly on the cheek, giving Ginny’s arm an extra squeeze. He next faced his father and tightly gripped his hand, both men adding a hearty shoulder slap to the handshake.

“You’re sure you’re not going to be lonely, George?” Mrs. Weasley asked, dabbing at her eyes with the edge of a tea towel she’d draped over her shoulder.

George sighed. “Mum ...” he said, his tone chiding, though Harry could tell he had tempered it, knowing full well the affection behind the question. “I have three employees and I’ve told you umpteen times, Lee’s joining me this week. How on earth can I be lonely?”

“But you’ll be “”

George pulled his mother into a tight hug, effectively quieting any further concerns.

Lastly, George turned to Ron and Harry. Seizing them both by the shoulder, apparently preparing to embrace them, he instead leaned in close and, looking them straight in the eye, hissed, “And you two ... remember, do everything I would do.”

With that, he grabbed the strap of his trunk in one hand, raised his wand with the other, and spinning in place, was gone.

Ron and Harry exchanged a grin at George’s last words, and then turned towards the house. One by one, the others followed suit.

What transpired in the hours remaining until the second departure of the day, was a bustle of activity of gargantuan proportions as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Harry, and Ginny packed for their likely week-long excursion while Ron and Hermione prepared for their venture of unknown duration. Tasks that had been started the previous day were hastily completed: clothes chosen, trunks packed, needed items found or repaired or conjured, and the house was cleaned as Mrs. Weasley insisted on not returning to a tip in seven days’ time.

It was nearly tea time when the six of them congregated once again at the bottom of the garden, trunks and suitcases waiting beside them.

“Right, then,” Hermione said, “remember, we need to land precisely onto the back verandah. Knowing our neighbour, she’ll be peering into everyone’s gardens at this time of day, and she’ll definitely see us if we Apparate anywhere else. She’s got eyes like a Hippogriff and we’ll never hear the end of it if we’re spotted.”

The others, suddenly nervous, all murmured their understanding.

“I’ll go first with Ron,” Hermione continued, “but I think it would be best if you take Harry, Mr. Weasley, and Ginny goes with Mrs. Weasley.” She stared down Ginny’s protest. “I know you’re good,” she assured her friend. “It’s Harry I’m thinking about.”

“Cheers,” Harry muttered sarcastically, but good-naturedly, knowing full well he was still pretty pathetic at Apparating.

Only a few minutes later, the six of them had appeared precisely in the area Hermione had dictated. Hermione, though, lost her footing and slipped down the first step, preventing herself from falling onto the grass only just in time by grabbing for the railing.

“Who’s there?” immediately demanded a voice from the neighbouring garden. A white-haired head popped into view over the fence separating the two properties. “Oh,” the woman said, and Harry marvelled at the almost disappointed edge to her tone, “it’s you, Miss Granger.”

“Hello, Mrs. Lancaster,” Hermione replied. “Are you well?” Harry was surprised at how bright his friend’s voice could sound despite being forced out through clenched teeth.

“Oh, the arthritis is bad, dear,” said Mrs. Lancaster. “Can’t hardly move my legs at times.” She sounded remarkably pleased at this. “Parents still not back yet?”

“No, no,” Hermione informed her, “still on holidays you know ...”

Mrs. Lancaster made a distinctly-disapproving ‘harumph’ sound at that. “Back in my day, we didn’t go gallivanting about the countryside for months on end.”

Hermione murmured something non-committal and turned to head back up the steps. “Well, I suppose I should “” she began.

“I imagine it must be difficult to maintain the back garden to its usual standard, with your father gone?” Mrs. Lancaster asked, apparently attempting a sweet tone that she couldn’t quite pull off.

Facing the Weasleys and Harry, Hermione rolled her eyes dramatically before addressing her neighbour again. “Well, I have been at school, you know, Mrs. Lancaster. I’ll work on it this week, though. Not to worry.” Her voice dropped to a whisper as she muttered, “You old hag.”

“All alone?” Mrs. Lancaster murmured doubtfully.

“She’s not alone,” Ron suddenly piped up, stepping into view.

“Oh, Ron, no,” Hermione hissed at him. “Don’t.”

Why not, he mouthed at her before stepping forward and giving the old woman a wave. “Mrs. Lancaster, is it?” he said. “Pleased to meet you. I’m Ron, Hermione’s boyfriend.”

Mrs. Lancaster’s eyebrows shot up well under the sparse curls of her fringe. “Boyfriend?” she repeated, gleefully. “Miss Granger,” she said, and turned a disapproving look Hermione’s way, “don’t tell me you and this young man are living in this house “ alone “ without your parents’ knowledge, or consent?” She sounded absolutely delighted at the very idea and Harry suspected she was imagining the sort of mileage she could get out of such a juicy bit of gossip.

That’s why,” Hermione muttered so only her friends could hear. Before she could address her neighbour’s sordid theory, Mr. Weasley had spoken up.

“Of course not,” he said firmly, pulling Mrs. Weasley with him into Mrs. Lancaster’s line of sight. “I’m Arthur, and this is my wife Molly. We’re Ron’s parents. And chaperones,” he added stiffly. “We’re here to see Hermione (Harry noticed he wisely mentioned only her name) off at the flightport to “”

“Airport,” Harry whispered.

“ “ airport,” Mr. Weasley corrected without missing a beat, “to join her parents.”

“I see,” Mrs. Lancaster replied, and Harry marvelled again, this time at the disappointment on her face. Clearly this was a woman who was only happy if there was something to complain about or seamy business to imagine.

“Well, we should get in,” Hermione remarked, “must be teatime by now ...” They made their goodbyes and after a frantic search for the door key, Hermione let them into the house with an exasperated sigh.

“Pleasant neighbour,” Ginny remarked.

“She’s just horrible,” Hermione fumed. “She drives my mother mad. She’s such a foul-minded, hypocritical, meddlesome, grousing, underhanded, sneaky “”

“No need to sugarcoat with us, luv,” Ron said, putting an arm around her, and they all laughed.

“Don’t worry about that cow,” Ginny advised. “She’s not worth it. Bit sad really. Getting thrills from bits of gossip. Pathetic.”

“Yes,” Molly agreed, as she put her suitcase down with everyone else’s, “best to ignore someone like“ Oh!” she cried, taking in her surroundings. “What a lovely kitchen!”

Harry had no argument. Although not usually too keen on decor himself, he had to admit that the bright and sunny room with its oak cabinets, smooth counter-tops, and polished copper pots and pans hanging above the large centre island, was very tastefully-done.

“Thank you,” Hermione replied, dropping her handbag onto the island and looking around as if seeing it with new eyes. “Mum and Dad both love cooking so they wanted an area that would accommodate them.” She suddenly wrinkled her nose with distaste. “The air’s a bit stale though, isn’t it?” Before anyone could respond, she hurried to one of the vast windows in the room, the one in front of the large double sink, and quickly unlocked it, soon throwing it wide to allow as much of the early evening breeze as possible to waft indoors.

Turning to her guests once more she announced, “Shall we have a grand tour? Before we think about a meal?” Suiting her actions to her words, she had soon headed out of the kitchen. “This way,” she tossed over her shoulder, already on her way to a flight of stairs the others could just see through the doorway.

They all trooped behind her, murmuring their agreement, with the exception of Ron, who loudly proclaimed that he, for one, would much rather see about a meal first. He was ignored.

As Harry followed Ginny out the door, he reached for her hand. She smiled back at him before leading him from the room.

It was some twenty minutes later that the six returned to the kitchen, their circuit of the Grangers’ modest yet elegantly-decorated three-bedroom, two-storey home complete. Hermione had started up the water and plumbing system, sleeping arrangements had been made, and the luggage stowed accordingly. Arthur and Molly, despite their protests, were to take Mr. and Mrs. Granger’s room, on Hermione’s insistence; Hermione and Ginny would share Hermione’s room; and the two young men would bed down in sleeping bags on the sitting room floor, as the third bedroom was used as the Grangers’ office and Harry and Ron had been uneasy at the thought of disturbing the dentists’ home work area. Mrs. Weasley seemed relieved that the young couples were to be located on separate floors, but before Harry could reflect long on this, Hermione had marched to the sink, washed and dried her hands, and pulled open the refrigerator.

“Right,” she said, “let’s see what we can do about“” She broke off abruptly before uttering a distinctly-rude word.

“Hermione!” Ron yelped, half-shocked, half-proud at her choice of language.

She apologised immediately.

“What is it, dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

Hermione swung the door wider, revealing the almost-completely barren interior. “There’s nothing to eat,” she announced, in case anyone wasn’t grasping the situation. “And there are no tins either. I forgot I emptied everything out when Mum and Dad left.”

“What?” Ron cried, hurrying to her side, not willing to accept her interpretation of the matter. “What about those?” he asked, indicating the few bottles and jars of condiments gracing the shelves of the fridge.

“Oh, yes, Ron. Good show,” Hermione snapped at him. “Prepared mustard on Branston pickle for six, then, is it?”

“There’s no need to get shirty!” Ron retorted. “Just trying to“”

“Perhaps we could pick something up?” Mrs. Weasley suggested quickly, obviously trying to prevent the flaming row they could all sense was brewing. She shot a meaningful look at her husband.

He caught on immediately and began rummaging in the pockets of his Muggle trousers for his money bag. “Yes,” he agreed. “Must be some shops still open ...”

Hermione shook her head. “Thank you, but no. There are plenty open, but they’re all Muggle ones. They don’t take gold.” She frowned, lost in thought, and when she spoke again, it was more to herself than anyone else in the room. “Okay, there’s no money in the house. And it’s Sunday, so the banks are closed.” She suddenly glanced at Harry hopefully. “I don’t suppose you have any money?”

Harry shot her a look. “Hermione, when have you ever known me to have any Muggle money?”

She exhaled forcibly. “I’m such an idiot. Why didn’t I think ...” Her voice trailed off into a muttered stream of self-admonitions.

After many moments of silence, Harry suddenly blurted out, “Bank machine!”

The others turned to Hermione, unsure what Harry had meant, but eager for a possible way out of the situation. Hermione shook her head again, more miserably this time. “No card.”

Harry could sense the disappointment of the others. “I don’t suppose any local restauranteurs would be willing to extend you credit?” he offered feebly.

To his surprise, Hermione’s face lit up. “Credit, that’s it! Harry, you’re a genius!”

“You have a credit card?”

She was happily nodding now. “For emergencies. Mum and Dad wanted to be sure if I needed anything ...” She turned to head out the room again. “I’ll have to see if I can find it, though. Harry, would you mind terribly calling for some take-away? The numbers should be by the phone.” They could hear her hurrying up the stairs before she called back down, “Make sure to ask if they take Easy-Charge, won’t you?”

Mrs. Weasley was frowning in puzzlement. “Was I the only one that didn’t understand any of that?”

“Nope,” Ginny assured her before turning to Harry. “What’s credit?” She paused before adding, “And take-away?”

“You’re going to get some food, right, mate?” Ron demanded.

“On the telephone!” Mr. Weasley exclaimed, beaming.

Harry chuckled at their reactions as he made his way to the small table in the hall upon which sat the telephone, a notepad and pen, address book, and a collection of neatly-stacked restaurant advertisements and menus.

“Yes, Ron,” he quickly assured his friend, “we’re getting some food.” Then, as he rummaged amongst the papers on the table to find a suitable menu, he explained to the others what take-away was and how credit was used by Muggles as a method of payment.

When an assortment of Indian take-away dishes had been ordered and Hermione had located her credit card, she, Ron, and Mr. Weasley (who insisted on tagging along to witness the Muggle transaction) prepared to leave to pick up the dinner. While Ron and Mr. Weasley waited in the front hall, Hermione hurried into the kitchen where the others were to snatch her bag off the centre island.

“Harry,” she said, as she buttoned her thin cardigan and tucked her Easy Charge into her bag, “can I get you to start researching some flights to Australia while we get the food?”

Harry frowned at her. “Research how?” he asked, as somewhat disturbing visions of expansive libraries with endless stacks of books popped into his mind.

She indicated the computer sitting on a table in one corner of the kitchen. “On the Internet,” she clarified.

He shook his head. “You know I’m not much good on those,” he reminded her. “I’ve never had much practise.”

Hermione smiled. “That’s not a big issue,” she said, and booted up the machine. “You can use this ...” With a few quick flicks through a small hanging file holder, she extracted a sheet of paper and held it out to Harry. At his frown she explained, “It’s a step-by-step guide to using the Internet.”

“You wrote this?” Harry asked, staring down at it.

Hermione shrugged. “Of course.”

“Oi, Hermione!” Ron called from the hall. “Are we getting this food, or not?”

“Coming!” she replied and hurried out of the room.

Bemused, Harry shook his head as he stared down at the sheet of paper containing extremely detailed instructions. “You’d think I’d be used to her by now ...” he muttered before glancing up at Ginny and Mrs. Weasley. “Pull up a chair,” he said with a small sigh. “We’ll see if we can muddle through this together.”




They ended up doing much better than simply muddling through. Later that evening, after the three couples had all enjoyed their meal of various vegetable and meat curries, rice, and roti, they settled into the comfortable armchairs and sofas in the sitting room, while Harry and his research partners outlined what they’d discovered on-line. He handed Hermione a sheet of paper he’d managed to discover how to print. Her face lit up only to fall immediately at Harry’s words.

“There aren’t any flights over the next few days ...”

“What about these?” Hermione demanded, pointing at the first notations on the list.

“Well there are some,” Harry conceded.

“But they’re a lot more expensive,” put in Mrs. Weasley.

“And take well over thirty hours,” Ginny added. “One of them even goes through Canada first.”

“What?!” Ron cried. “Did you say thirty? Are you completely mental? I’m not sitting in a plane for that long! I know Muggle transport isn’t instant, but thirty?”

Harry ignored Ron’s spluttering, his focus completely on Hermione’s crestfallen expression. He was quick to add, “If you wait just a few more days, though, as early as a week from today even, you can get a shorter, cheaper flight.”

“Really?” Hermione asked. “Leaving from ...?” She quickly scanned the list. “Heathrow,” she said, answering her own question rather dejectedly.

“Is that bad?” Ginny wanted to know. “It seemed a fairly good deal.”

“Heathrow’s massive,” Hermione said. “I was hoping for Manchester or Birmingham, they’re much easier to get around, and I’ve been to both many times.”

“Not to worry, my dear,” Mr. Weasley reassured her, “I’ve had some business myself there, back when I was heading the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Spells and Protective Objects. I’m sure we’ll manage.”

Hermione didn’t look entirely convinced but rose from her chair and said, “Well, I may as well get back on-line and book them right away, before someone else takes them ...”

“No time like the present,” Mrs. Weasley agreed, following her from the room. The others could just hear part of her last comment as she went: “And I’ll note the price so we can suss out how much to ...”

“Don’t do anything without me!” Mr. Weasley called, hurrying after them. “I want to see how this whole In-Connect works! It sounds tremendous!”

Ginny and Harry exchanged a smile at his usual enthusiastic response to anything Muggle.

“Thirty hours?” Ron cried again. “Thirty?”




By the time everyone began wandering off to bed, later that evening, Hermione and Ron had managed to secure two open-return seats from London’s Heathrow Airport to Sydney, Australia, scheduled to leave in a week’s time. They had also made preliminary on-line enquiries regarding accommodation near the Sydney airport.

It took Harry quite a while to find a comfortable position on the floor that night, but once he was finally settled, he could feel himself starting to drift off. His dreams that night were full of neighbours that screamed at him through the computer, waving forks of rice and curry at him.




The next morning, after a scrumptious meal prepared by Mrs. Weasley (Hermione had picked up some things from the grocer’s the previous evening), Hermione commented that she should clean up the house to be ready for the anticipated return of her parents.

“After so long without it being lived in,” she said, “I’m afraid the house is looking a little grotty. I’ll have to spruce it up a bit.”

“With our help,” chorused Mr. and Mrs. Weasley immediately.

“Yeah, we’ll all chip in,” Ginny added while Ron and Harry nodded their agreement.

Noting the gorgeous summer day out the window, Harry quickly offered, “Ron and I can get started on the back garden, weeding and pruning, if you like.”

Hermione looked reluctant to take him up on the offer, probably not wanting to put them out, Harry suspected, but remarked, “That would help to get the Lancaster woman off my back ...” she mused. “Well, if you’re sure ...”

Harry and Ron started heading for the door when Hermione told them, “Tools are in the shed. Don’t worry about the grass, there’s a man that comes to do that.” The young men were already on the back verandah when she called to them, “And remember not to use magic!”

Ron turned to Harry as they descended the verandah steps and set off down the garden path. “Tools? No magic? What, is she mad? This’ll take ages without any spells.”

“Keep your voice down!” Harry hissed at him, with an anxious glance towards the fence separating the Grangers’ property from Mrs. Lancaster’s. “Do you want to cause trouble for Hermione? We do this without magic.”

Ron grumbled to himself as Harry opened the shed and found trowels and secateurs, but he accepted without complaint the tools Harry passed to him.

“So, how does one do this without magic, then?” he asked reluctantly.

“One weed at a time,” Harry replied grimly and knelt before the closest flower bed, which was almost completely overgrown with unwanted plants. “One weed at a time.”




Back in the house, Mrs. Weasley offered to clean the curtains and upholstery.

“As we’re hidden from view inside the house, I presume it’s alright to use magic in here?” she asked her hostess. After Hermione’s nod, Mrs. Weasley turned to Ginny. “And you can help me, dear. Many hands, you know.”

But Ginny was shaking her head vigourously. “Not likely!” she snorted. “I hate dusting and cleaning, you know that. I’ll work in the garden with Harry and Ron.” She turned on her heel.

Mrs. Weasley sighed and rubbed her fingers vexedly across her forehead at her daughter’s reaction.

“If you don’t learn how to clean, what on earth will you do once you leave home?” she called after Ginny’s retreating figure, plucking her wand out of her pocket.

Unseen by Mrs. Weasley, Ginny caught Hermione’s eye and winked at her before hurrying out the door. “Not too fussed, actually,” she muttered to herself once she was out of her mother’s earshot. “Harry’s rather proficient at cleaning house.”

As soon as the door had shut behind Ginny, Hermione remarked, “I suppose I should start on the carpets.”

“With a hooverating machine?” Mr. Weasley asked eagerly.

Hermione smiled fondly at him. “It’s called a Hoover, but yes,” she said.

“You don’t mind if I help you, then, do you?” Mr. Weasley asked.

“Of course not,” Hermione assured him and she led the way to the cupboard in the hall where the machine was kept.

“I’ve always wanted to see how they work,” Mr. Weasley said. “It is true that a little Muggle animal sits inside and sucks the dirt and dust into the machine?”

If Hermione was amused by the question she hid it very well. “Actually,” she said, “there’s no animal. Inside this canister“” She pointed. ““ a vacuum is created. This forces any dirt and dust beneath this “” She indicated the nozzle at the end of the hose. “ “ to be blown into the machine, with air that is trying to get inside the vacuum, to a storage bag in the machine.”

Mr. Weasley seemed even more intrigued by the scientific explanation than his animal theory. “Fascinating!” he breathed, somewhat in awe.




Meanwhile, despite Ron’s earlier grumblings, the three outside were making quite a lot of headway. As Ron swept the garden paths, Harry pruned some small bushes near Ginny, who had weeded a large section of one of the flower beds.

Harry was enjoying himself immensely. Although no stranger to gardening and other outside work, having been forced into it at the Dursleys’ too many times to count, this was the first time he’d offered to garden. He found that made a lot of difference to his attitude. Of course, he thought suddenly, with a glance at his girlfriend, it’s the first time I get to do this with someone I love. Feeling his face grow hot at his private realization, he quickly turned away from Ginny.

She took that very moment to remark, “You’re quiet.”

Harry forced himself to look at her again. “I suppose. Concentrating.”

Ginny stood up and indicated the bush he had been working on. One side was much more crooked than the other. “Yes,” she said with a small snort, “I can see that.” She caught his eye and he could have sworn he saw a twinkle in hers.

“Thinking of something else?” she asked, with suspicious innocence.

Harry’s neck felt rather hot in the glare of the late morning sun. To cover his embarrassment, he pointed at her cheek. “You’ve got some dirt.”

“I do? Where?” she asked, trying to wipe it off with soil-stained gloves, only succeeding in smearing more onto her face.

Harry chuckled. “Here,” he said, brushing it away with his thumb. His hand remained cupping her face after the dirt was gone, and he had soon leaned in to kiss her. She eagerly returned it and Harry pondered briefly that as enjoyable as working side by side with Ginny was, snogging her in the summer sun far surpassed the gardening, but she deepened the kiss, and he was quickly unable to form coherent thoughts. Just as he reached his arms around her to draw her closer, though, he heard Ron snarl behind him.

“Oi! Get out of it you two!”

Harry sighed deeply at the interruption. Rolling her eyes, Ginny brought her mouth to Harry’s ear to mutter, “He cannot leave soon enough for me.” Aloud she snapped at her brother, “You never change! You’re still such a hypocrite. Tell me that wasn’t you who snuck into our room last night for a little snogging yourself!”

Harry’s eyebrows shot up at this tidbit of information and he wheeled to face his friend. Ron had turned a marvelous shade of fuchsia. “I thought you were asleep,” he mumbled.

Ginny snorted and Ron hurried away, muttering something about finishing the sweeping.
When he had gone, Ginny smirked at Harry. “I was asleep,” she confessed, with a grin. “But he forgets, Hermione and I talk.”

Harry made a mental note to remember that in future and returned to the plant in front of him.





After a good four hours spent in the garden, the three of them had made tremendous progress, Harry just hoped it would pass the critical neighbour test to which he was sure it would be subjected. As they headed towards the house, anxious for a meal and rubbing their sore arm and back muscles, Ron began complaining again. “Blimey! Muggle methods take ages, don’t they? And for no return.”

“I think we’ve got quite a lot done, thank you very much!” Harry retorted hotly. “Or at least some of us have,” he muttered pointedly.

Ignoring the jibe, Ron shrugged and ran up the steps and into the house without bothering to reply.

Ginny stopped Harry with a hand on his arm. “Don’t mind him. The only things he thinks are worth the time are eating, sleeping, and snogging. In that order.”

“And you?”

“Well, as pleasant as some of those activities are,” she began, her eyes twinkling at him again, “my interests tend to be a little more varied. I happen to think we got a lot done. And I rather enjoyed it. I know the Muggle way often takes longer, but it somehow ... I don’t know, I think it sometimes means more.” She shot him an anxious look. “Does that sound daft?”

Harry, thinking suddenly of digging Dobby’s grave by hand, could at first only shake his head at her. “No,” he said eventually, “not daft at all.”




The rest of the week past in a similar fashion, with the six of them preparing the house and garden for the Grangers’ anticipated return, and ensuring that things were organized for Ron and Hermione’s trip to Australia. It was only on the last evening before their scheduled flight that a problem arose.

Hermione was putting the last touches on her packing and had gathered the tickets and her passport to be ready for the following morning. Harry was sitting at the computer with Ginny and Ron while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were finishing the washing up from their evening meal and generally tidying the kitchen when Hermione let out a ear-splitting shriek that made the rest of them all jump.

“Bloody hell, Hermione!” Ron yelled at her. “What was that for?”

She was waving her passport manically at them. “Passport!” she screamed. “Passport!”

Harry frowned at her. “What about it? It’s right there in your hand.”

“Yes. Mine is,” she trilled.

Harry hadn’t heard her. “It’s not expired, is it?”

But Ginny was starting to figure it out. “What do you mean yours is?” she asked suspiciously. “Does Ron need one, too?”

Hermione simply nodded mutely at her friend, seemingly devoid of further words.

“Damn,” Harry muttered, having caught up..

“What are we going to do?” Hermione wailed, her speech returning with a rush. “He can’t leave England or enter Australia without one. And we leave tomorrow!”

Ron had risen and crossed the kitchen to stand next to her. “Hermione,” he scoffed, his hand gripping her shoulder. “Come on, are you a witch, or aren’t you? Make one.”

“Make one,” she echoed, her voice flat.

Mr. Weasley had picked up the document that Hermione had tossed with disgust onto the centre island and was examining it with his wife. “Yes,” he agreed, nodding. “This shouldn’t be too difficult to produce.”

Hermione looked from Ron to his parents and back again. “But ... wouldn’t that be against the law?” she asked.

Ginny’s forehead creased. “Which one? Do you honestly think the Muggle law books include a statute about not creating a false passport through magical means?”

“Of course not,” Hermione said. “It’s rather just the principle of the thing, isn’t it?”

“We’re all pretty much law-abiding people here, Hermione,” Harry put in, “but what choice do you have?”

Hermione didn’t speak for a few moments, presumably allowing that to sink in, Harry thought. When she did, she sounded determined. “Right,” she said, literally pushing up her sleeves and reaching for her wand. She turned to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. “What do I need to do?”
Chapter 3 - Letters from Home by cjbaggins
Chapter 3 - Letters from Home

Hermione leaned back in her chair and sipped her coffee, looking out towards the sea, and at the youngsters playing on the beach. She smiled to herself at the sight of a young girl, of maybe two or three, desperately trying to catch a large, brightly-coloured ball tossed by an older child. The girl would bring her arms together much too late to grasp it, and it would inevitably land softly in the sand.

“Look at that, Ron,” she said, pointing discreetly. “The toddler there. She keeps missing. It’s very cute.”

He dutifully looked where she indicated but merely gave a brief glance and grunted his agreement before turning back to the buttered scone before him. The two of them were sitting in the open air section of a beachfront café, enjoying a mid-morning snack.

Although Hermione seemed to be quite taken by the antics on the beach, she nevertheless was able to catch Ron a few moments later when he reached for the half-eaten scone on her plate. “Ron!” she scolded, giving him a swat on the wrist. She was laughing, though, and the smack was decidedly more playful than hostile.

Her smile faded abruptly as she returned her attention to the beach. She said Ron’s name again, but he heard the strangled quality of her voice this time and his head immediately snapped up. “What?” he hissed, his eyes intent on her face, which had drained of all colour.

“It’s that man again,” she told him, barely moving her lips. “The one from the shop yesterday, and the elevator. He’s on the beach. No,” she cautioned as Ron had started to turn his head. “He’s looking.” She reached for Ron’s hand and he enveloped her fingers in his.

“ ‘S’alright,” he murmured.

She shook her head. “I don’t like it. Why is he following us?” She swallowed hard as she realized something else. “And why, when it’s so hot, is he the only one on the beach wearing a jumper?” Her eyes narrowed. “And he had a large bandage on his forearm in the elevator...” She allowed herself a grim little smile. “He’s a Death Eater,” she declared.

“What?” Ron yelped, though quietly. “Where’d you get that from?”

“Ron, come off it,” she replied. “It’s the only explanation. Who else would have followed us all the way to Australia, be trailing us now, and take great pains to keep his left arm covered?”

Ron nodded, realizing the truth of her statements. “To hide his Dark Mark.” His actions concealed by his back, he reached for his wand and held it against the table, keeping it from the view of the many Muggles around them.

Hermione, meanwhile, had reached for her bag. Taking out a few dollar coins, she tossed them onto her serviette. With measured haste, desperately trying not to look as if they were in a hurry, they made their way back into the restaurant towards the main entrance. Once out on the street they strode quickly down it, deftly avoiding the shoppers and sightseers strolling beside them. They didn’t stop to look behind until they’d covered a block and a half. Only then did Hermione risk a glance over her shoulder. At her gasp of horror, Ron gripped her elbow, urging her to move even faster, his wand between them ready to curse their chaser if necessary.

Although the man tailing them was not running, he was steadily gaining ground. Ron and Hermione broke into a trot, ignoring the looks of surprise from the Muggles they passed. Their pursuer began to jog at the same time, the distance separating him from Ron and Hermione ever diminishing. When it looked as if he would soon be immediately on their heels, they ran passed a deserted alley. Thinking quickly, Hermione hurried back to its entrance and pulled Ron into it with her. Drawing her wand, she spun on the spot.

After the familiar squeezing sensation, they Apparated before the door of their hotel room. Unfortunately, their tailer must have guessed not only where they’d gone, but known which floor they were on, for as soon as they appeared, he was suddenly at the end of the hall. Obviously having also Apparated, he was soon sprinting towards them, his own wand raised. Ron turned to face him, prepared to duel. Hermione searched frantically for their room’s entry card. Just as the green flash of light of the Death Eater’s curse ricocheted off the wall beside them, Hermione found it, opened the door, and pulled her boyfriend to safety. They leant back against the door for a few moments, catching their breath. With a nervous chuckle, Hermione headed for the room’s kitchenette.

“Fancy a cup of tea?” she asked.

“Not so fast, dearie,” a voice sneered behind her. She wheeled to see the Death Eater, his arm gripping Ron’s neck in a stranglehold, his wand pointed straight at her.

************

Gasping, Harry awoke with a jolt. Staring into the darkness above his head, he desperately tried to control his breathing, feeling his heart hammering madly in his chest.

Was a dream, he thought. It was only a dream.

However many times he said it to himself, though, fear still clutched at his throat. It had been five days since Ron and Hermione’s send-off at the airport, five days of Harry not knowing what was happening to his friends, five days of gut-clenching nightmares.

Harry closed his eyes. Unfortunately, all he could see when he did so was his best friends being threatened by an unknown, sinister man. He reached for his gold watch on the bedside table.

Twenty minutes past four.

Exhaling heavily, he rolled over onto his back again. For what seemed an eternity he counted owls, with no effect, before checking the time again.

Twenty-two minutes past four.

Irritably tossing the watch back onto the night-stand, Harry threw off his covers, giving up the notion of going back to sleep as a bad job. After dressing silently he crept down the stairs, his trainers in one hand, careful not to awaken the older members of the household.

He paused in front of Ginny’s bedroom door, wondering if he dared wake her. Reminding himself that her parents’ room wasn’t that far away, he decided not to risk it and continued on his way to the ground floor without knocking.

Once downstairs, he was at a loss for what to do. He didn’t feel like eating, had no inclination to listen to the wireless, and he knew that no book could hold his interest. With a sigh, he headed for the door where he slipped on his shoes and a jacket before stepping out into the pre-dawn lull of the back garden.

It was chilly outside, and Harry shivered a little in his thin jacket, wishing he’d put on a jumper over his t-shirt. He stood for a few moments staring out across the garden. Although he was no longer gasping for breath and his heart was once again beating normally, the traces of terror from his nightmare were still clinging insistently to him like the morning dew starting to settle on the grass beneath his feet. He knew Ginny would say he was being silly, that Ron and Hermione were probably doing just fine, but he still couldn’t shake an overall feeling of anxiety whenever he thought of them.

With another sigh, he realized he would have to do something to clear his head. Glancing around the garden, he caught sight of the broomshed and hurried toward it. Riding was just the thing to lift his spirits. The fact that his surroundings were still in semi-darkness was a bonus for which he was grateful; he would be able to fly higher without the risk of being seen.

Quickly mounting one of the Weasleys’ old Cleansweeps, he kicked off from the ground and soared into the air. Feeling the familiar exhilaration of being airborne, Harry almost cried out with the sheer joy of it. This was definitely what he needed to do. Grinning madly, he encouraged the broom higher, soon zooming above the treetops in the orchard.

It was well over an hour and half later when he touched the ground again, having thoroughly enjoyed his long flight. He had had to fly lower once the sun had risen about forty minutes into his time in the air, but he nevertheless felt much better than when he had started. Or at least he did until he entered the kitchen again and heard sobbing coming from the sitting room. Concerned, he hurried into that room and saw Mrs. Weasley perched on the edge of the settee, her head in her hands, crying.

Hesitantly, Harry cleared his throat. “Um, Mrs. Weasley?” he began. “Are you alright?”

Startled, her head shot up. “Oh, Harry,” she said, hastily wiping her face with her hands. “You’re up. I thought everyone was still sleeping.”

“What’s wrong?”

Mrs. Weasley showed him the photograph that had been laying on her lap. It was, he presumed, one of Fred. Harry’s own eyes started to burn as he looked at the picture of the twin hamming it up for the camera, various exploding wands and rubber chickens surrounding him.

“Oh,” Harry said. “Fred.” He swallowed hard, feeling a lump in his throat rapidly forming. “It’s still, um ... still painful to see his pictures, isn’t it?”

But Mrs. Weasley was shaking her head vigourously at him. “No, dear,” she said, absentmindedly stroking the frame of the photograph. “That’s not it.”

“Oh?” Harry sat down next to her, confusion creasing his forehead. “It isn’t?”

Strangely, two spots of colour appeared high on Mrs. Weasley’s cheeks. Seeming flustered all of a sudden, she stood and placed the photo back on the little table where it usually rested. She took longer to do this than Harry thought was absolutely necessary. Finally turning to him, she admitted, “I didn’t notice.” Her eyes welled up again as she gestured to the table. “His picture had fallen behind. I don’t know when.” She let out a strangled sob. “And I didn’t notice, Harry. I didn’t even notice my baby wasn’t there. What sort of mother wouldn’t even notice?” Covering her face again she began to cry in earnest once more, her body shaking from the force of her sobs.

Rooted to the spot, Harry was unsure what to do. Soon discovering his ability to move, however, he got up and stepped close to her. Reaching out a tentative hand, he patted Mrs. Weasley awkwardly on the shoulder, murmuring what he hoped were words of comfort.

Eventually, she calmed down. Turning to Harry she smiled thinly before she embraced him briefly. “Thank you, dear. You’re so sweet to console me.” Releasing him, she reached into the pocket of her dressing gown for a handkerchief and blew her nose. “Enough of this,” she said, her jaw set. “Fred would have had a fit if he saw how I was carrying on. Must get dressed so as to start breakfast. Arthur must be off early this morning ...” With a final pat for Harry, she headed from the room. “Oh, hello Ginny, dear. You’re up early, too.”

Harry spun at Mrs. Weasley’s words to see Ginny standing in the doorway, dressed in the jogging pants and t-shirt in which she usually slept.

“How long have you been there?” he asked.

She smiled fondly at him as she closed the gap between them. “Long enough to remind me one of the reasons I love you.”

Harry frowned at her. “What?”

She rolled her eyes at his lack of understanding. “You’re sweet to my mum,” she spelt out, before leaning in to kiss him.

Harry slipped his hands around her waist to pull her closer, suddenly wishing he’d bothered to brush his teeth after he’d gotten dressed.

They only broke apart when they heard Mr. Weasley’s voice call through to them from the kitchen, “Good morning you two. You’re up early today.”

“ ‘Morning Dad,” Ginny said.

“Good morning, Mr. Weasley,” Harry echoed, wondering whether Ginny’s father had seen their embrace. Thankfully, Harry didn’t have to dwell too long on the disturbing thought as Mr. Weasley’s words had given him something else to think about. “Why are you up so early, by the way?”

“Well I would still be sleeping except I heard someone in the garden. I was thinking it was an intruder until I saw it was just you going for a spin on a broom.”

Harry grimaced apologetically at her. “Sorry. I didn’t think I would disturb anyone.”

She shrugged. “No worries.” She peered shrewdly at him. “Couldn’t sleep again, huh?”

He shook his head.

“Another bad dream?”

“Yeah. Death Eater this time.”

“And you know that’s highly unlikely, right? There’s been no Death Eater activity anywhere near Australia in months. You know that. Dad had Ministry officials check after your first nightmare.”

“I know. It’s just ...” Harry sighed heavily, finding he couldn’t quite put into words the apprehension he felt regarding his two best friends.

Ginny gave him a sympathetic look and reached out a hand to brush away the unruly shock of hair hanging in his eyes. She kissed him again and Harry was relieved she seemed to understand.

“Don’t you just hate the waiting, though?” he burst out. “The not knowing? How do you stand it? You’re so calm about it.”

Ginny let out a mirthless laugh. “You forget, Mr. Potter. This isn’t the first time I’ve been left behind.”

A phantom fist slammed into Harry’s gut at the bitterness he could hear in her voice. Shame descended onto him like a particularly heavy travelling cloak as he thought of Bill’s wedding and how he, Ron, and Hermione had left without a trace.

“Ginny“”

“Leave it.”

“But“”

She reached for his hand. “I didn’t just mean“ ” She shook her head as if to clear it. “Come off it. Youngest of seven?” Changing her voice to mimic her older brothers she chanted, “ ‘You can’t go, Ginny. You’re too young’, ‘You’d just be in the way’, ‘You’re a girl!’ ” She sighed heavily. “You weren’t the first,” she added grimly.

He dropped his eyes to his hand still in hers and said softly, “I’m sorry.”

She shook her head. “No. Actually? ‘I care about you too much’ made a nice change.”

Harry laughed, despite himself. “I still do, you know. Care about you, I mean.”

Ginny cupped the side of his face in one soft hand. “I know,” she whispered, and pressed her lips to his again.

************

Intent on rubbing away a particularly stubborn bit of dried egg, Harry didn’t notice Ginny had flicked soap bubbles at him until they splattered across the front of his glasses. Grabbing a handful of bubbles himself, he lost no time in flinging them at her. She ducked in time, and they ended up dropping ineffectively on the floor.

“Those that spill soapy water on the floor dry the floor,” Mrs. Weasley called to him as she passed with an armload of washing which she took up the stairs.

Ginny smirked, pretending to study carefully the plate she was drying. The two of them were doing the washing up from breakfast, three days after Harry’s most recent nightmare. Although they were no longer prohibited from using magic for such a task, they’d taken to doing it by hand as they found they both enjoyed it more using the Muggle method.

It had been eight days since they’d said goodbye to Ron and Hermione, and despite Harry’s continued worry about his friends and the fact that they still hadn’t heard from them, his sleep had been mercifully dreamless.

Just as they were putting away into the cupboard the last dish, they heard a faint tap on the far window of the room. Thinking it was Mrs. Weasley, needing something as she hung up more washing in the back garden, they were surprised when they turned to see a brown owl, rapping the glass with its beak.

Before they could open the window, another owl, identical in size and colour, alit beside the first. Exchanging a glance, Harry and Ginny hurried to let the birds in. They flew in, and soared directly to the kitchen table.

“Those are school owls, aren’t they?” Ginny said.

Harry nodded as he reached for the letter tied to the owl closest to him. It was addressed to Ginny. He passed it to her without a word. She opened it as the owl that had brought it took off and flew back out the window. The remaining owl clicked its beak impatiently at Harry and he quickly removed the envelope tied to its leg so it could follow its fellow courier. That message was addressed to him and with much curiosity, he slit open the envelope and began to read.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmistress: Minerva McGonagall
(head consultant, Transfiguration Today; regist’d Animagus reg.# 00-73-94120;
holder International Confed. of Wizards gold standard for magic, Transfiguration branch; recipient Magnificence in Witchcraft platinum medal)

Dear Mr. Potter,

It is with great pleasure that I find myself with an opportunity to correspond with you. I trust that you are enjoying your summer despite recent unhappy events.

You will notice by the above letterhead that the Secretary for Education at the Ministry of Magic has assigned me permanently to the position of Headmistress at Hogwarts. The task of preparing the school for the coming year therefore falls under my jurisdiction.

As you are surely aware from your last visit to Hogwarts, the school is currently in no fit condition to house students nor for any instructing to take place. The building is in great need of (substantial) repair, and the staff and I are not equipped to complete the innumerous duties that are required in the brief time we have remaining until the start of term. Even with the Secretary’s permission to open the school one month later than usual, we are still unduly pressed for time.

It is for this reason that I compose this missive. I wish to extend a petition to you, Mr. Potter, soliciting your extremely able assistance in helping the staff and myself in returning Hogwarts to its previous glory. As you will soon be aware, I have sent similar letters to many of your friends asking them for their aid as well.

I do hope you will consider my request favourably.

Once the school has been righted, I would ask further that you remain at Hogwarts for the full school year as your assistance would be greatly appreciated in the Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons, in particular at the higher levels. I have chosen a novel approach to the DADA class this year which I will be able to explain in greater detail at a later time. Spending this year at the school will, incidentally, enable you and your friends to obtain your hitherto ungarnered NEWT levels.

Awaiting your reply owl, I remain,

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall



When he had finished reading, Harry looked up to see Ginny looking at him intently. “What do you think?” she asked.

He didn’t know what to say. Hogwarts had always been his home, the one place he felt most comfortable and the idea of returning filled him with joy. At the same time, the memories of all that had transpired the last time he was within its boundaries were still painfully vivid. The thought of seeing the scene of the final battle against Voldemort and the realization that seeing would undoubtedly involve at least a partial recalling of the events of that battle filled him with uneasy dread.

No, he didn’t know what to think yet.
Chapter 4 - Home Again, Home Again by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
New Author's Note: I've finally changed around some of the dialogue in this chapter after popular demand. I hope it suits.
Author’s note - most of the characters included in this chapter were created by J.K. Rowling. I’m just taking them for a spin around the block, I’ll put ‘em back, I promise. The ones that I created have been given meaningful names. For those who care about such matters, here they are:

Jake - supplanter
Angus - exceptional, outstanding
Liam - determined guardian
Grace - grace of God

Chapter 4 - Home Again, Home Again

Harry crouched low over his broom, striving to coax as much speed as he could out of it as he raced for the goal, the Quaffle clutched to his side.

With the increasingly-elusive hoops still far off, though, Ginny had zoomed up beside him, snatched the Quaffle away, spun expertly in mid-air, and sped to the opposite hoops before Harry could react. She scored effortlessly.

“Ha! Sixty - nothing!” she crowed, retrieving the ball and returning to Harry’s side. “Oh, how quickly the Mighty Quidditch Player falls!”

“It’s this ruddy broom!” Harry retorted, gesturing to the Cleansweep with disgust. “I swear a fly overtook me.”

Ginny smirked as she pointed to the shabby broom she herself was using. “Come off it, Harry,” she chided, “you know as well as I do that the skill of the rider trumps the quality of the broom any day!”

Harry’s snort of disagreement was only half-hearted, knowing full well that she was right, and knowing, too, that Ginny’s skill with a broom was fast becoming unrivalled.

She smiled to herself as she tossed him the Quaffle, and Harry suspected that she had sensed his thoughts.

It was mid-afternoon, a Sunday, fourteen days after Ron and Hermione’s departure for Australia, and Harry and Ginny were playing in the Weasleys’ orchard during an infrequent, and therefore very welcome, break in the relentless and driving rain of the past four days.

Harry gripped the Quaffle tightly, determined to overcome the limitations of his mount. He pulled up on the broom handle and rose higher, feeling much more at ease at his usual ‘Seeking’ altitude. Deftly avoiding Ginny, who had shot upwards when he did and was completely blocking his path, he faked left but zoomed right. Not fooled for a second, Ginny veered in the same direction, once more impeding his progress. Harry leant forwards, tilting the front of the broom down, and plunged into a dive, pulling out of it only moments before hitting the ground. Swerving sharply left, he urged the Cleansweep higher once again. Seeing no sign of his opponent, he forced the broom straight ahead to the goal. When he was mere seconds from scoring range, Ginny materialized so quickly Harry would have sworn she had Apparated next to him. He changed course immediately but Ginny stayed with him. Executing another swift dive, Harry’s efforts were frustrated when Ginny mirrored his movements exactly. With a grunt of annoyance, Harry decided that he’d attempt a goal at his current distance and reared back to throw the Quaffle toward the left-most hoop, his closest. Ginny, though, turned abruptly towards him and directed her broom over his, so that the handles were criss-crossed, hers mere inches above his.

“What the hell“” Harry burst out but was cut off when Ginny reached out, grabbed the front of the waistband of his trousers, yanked him towards her, and kissed him full on the lips. A few moments later, while he was still catching his breath, she lightly plucked the Quaffle from his loosened grip and smiled sweetly at him.

“Thanks,” she smirked and prepared to turn. Unfortunately, she miscalculated and just as her broom was almost free of his, a few stray twigs brushed against the handle of Harry’s Cleasnweep. Their aeronautic lift destroyed, they lost their balance which caused both of them to tumble off their brooms and plunge to the somewhat soggy ground together, Harry landing with a slight ‘oomph’ sound as Ginny dropped atop him, laughing hysterically.

“Cheeky bugger,” he growled up at her.

“Yeah,” she shot back, “but you love me anyway.”

Harry couldn’t find any argument to that, especially when she slid up his body and her mouth descended on his.

It was many long and enjoyable minutes later that they were sitting and leaning back against a tree, having performed a simple Drying Charm on their clothes and the ground beneath them. Their arms comfortably around each other, they stared contentedly out at the sky which was darkening once more as thick grey clouds congregated swiftly overhead.

“Going to rain again,” Ginny remarked.

“Is it?” Harry replied, somewhat vaguely, his lips nuzzling her neck, every inhalation filling him with her scent. He doubted he could bring himself to care much if they were suddenly hit with a deluge of Biblical proportions.

They lapsed into companionable silence. Ginny was the first to break it when she said, quietly, “I’m glad you decided to go to Hogwarts this year.”

Harry murmured his agreement, slowly caressing her hair.

“Last year was hell,” she went on. “I missed you so much. And I hated not knowing what you were doing, where you were ...”

Relieved to hear that she had felt the same as he, Harry chuckled to himself.

She rounded on him, her eyes flashing with anger. “Oh, that’s funny is it? Worth a good laugh?”

Hearing the underlying hurt in her voice, he hurriedly assured her that wasn’t his intent and then, somewhat self-consciously, explained: “There were so many nights last year “ when Ron and Hermione were asleep “ that I would ...” He cleared his throat nervously. “Well ... um, I would stare at the Marauders’ Map. Just so I could see your name.”

He could see the tears in her eyes at his admission and he was glad he’d had the courage to voice it. With a smile, she cupped his chin in her hand. “I love you,” she said simply and pressed her lips to his once more.

They were startled in mid-kiss by Mrs. Weasley’s voice from the back garden.

“They’re here!” she cried. “Ginny, Harry, they’re back. Ron and Hermione are back!”

Stunned, they stared at each other for a full ten seconds before leaping to their feet and, grabbing their brooms, sprinted out of the orchard.

For some five minutes the Weasleys’ back garden was filled with delighted cries of greeting and the enthusiastic embracing of good friends and family. It wasn’t until Mrs. Weasley had engulfed her son in a tremendous hug for the third time (amid complaints of ‘Geroff, would you, Mum’) that Mr. Weasley suggested that they retire to the house. It was just as well, for as the group headed to the back door, the now-ominous clouds abruptly opened and heavy drops began to fall.

As one, they broke into a trot and all burst through the door seconds later, shaking the rain from their hair. Mrs. Weasley bustled into the kitchen. “Right then,” she said briskly, “let’s have something to eat.” She suited her actions to her remark and quickly started preparing hot cocoa and thickly-sliced bread and jam. As she sent the jugs and heaping platters to the table, she gave her son and his girlfriend a critical appraisal. “Mind you eat enough,” she ordered, “you’re both appallingly thin.”

Hermione smiled as she took a seat at the table but Harry had the distinct impression she was only just refraining from rolling her eyes at Ginny. Ron apparently had less self-control for he blurted out, “Mum, we’ve been gone less than three weeks!”

“Even so ...” Mrs. Weasley retorted, adding another liberally-buttered slice of bread to his plate. Harry noticed that Ron didn’t bother to remove it.

Once they were all happily sipping and munching, Harry and Ginny demanded at once:

“So what happened?”

“Did you find them?”

And then finished in chorus, “Are they all right?”

The wide smile splitting Hermione’s face as she swallowed a generous bite of bread gave them her answer even before she confirmed, “Yes, they’re all right. They are absolutely fine.”

“They’re back home,” Ron added thickly, his mouth full.

Hermione saw Mrs. Weasley open her mouth to protest and quickly put in, “We suggested they come to the Burrow but I think they just wanted to settle back into their regular routine, pick up where they left off, with their practise and so on.”

Mrs. Weasley nodded her approval. Hermione put down her mug and swallowed hard before looking at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. “My parents wanted me to deliver a few messages,” she told them. “Firstly, they wish to thank you for everything you’ve done for me. They feel they could never repay you.” Ron’s parents both smiled warmly at her. “Secondly,” Hermione went on, "they offer all of us “” Hermione’s glance took in all those seated at the table. ““ congratulations on the hard-won victory over Voldemort and his followers.”

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s smiles were grim this time. “And lastly,” Hermione swallowed again, and Harry could see that her eyes were shining with unshed tears, “they offer their condolences about ... well ... about Fred.”

Mrs. Weasley didn’t speak, merely patted Hermione’s hand with hers. Mr. Weasley cleared his throat, his eyes fixed on his plate as he murmured, “Thank you, dear.”

Still anxious about the details of the trip to Australia, Harry said as much. Hermione nodded, finishing another particularly large mouthful. “I know,” she said. “Just give me a minute to catch my breath. And get rid of this ...” she added, waving her bread in his direction. Harry reflected that she was perhaps spending a little too much time with Ron.

When they had all had their fill, and drained their mugs at least twice each, Hermione finally pushed away her plate and started her story. “The flight to Australia was uneventful“”

“Bloody long, though!” Ron put in.

“Well, yes,” Hermione conceded, “it was a bit.”

“A bit!” Ron retorted. “Blimey, Hermione, it was almost twenty-two hours! Twenty-four with the stop. You call that ‘a bit’?”

“You going to let me tell this, or not?”

“Okay, okay, get on with it then,” he grumbled.

With an icy glare, Hermione drew a breath and continued. “So, the flight was uneventful, although long,” she added, with another glacial look at Ron, “and after being slightly delayed in Singapore, we arrived in Sydney twenty-four hours after leaving London.” She sighed. “We weren’t sure where to start. We’d booked that hotel near the airport, but I wasn’t too clear beyond getting ourselves acclimated. So we did just that, we got ourselves“”

“You didn’t tell them about the muddle with the rooms,” Ron cut in.

Hermione’s face flushed pink. “Oh, right,” she said, obviously flustered. “The rooms ...”

“What about them?” Ginny asked.

“Were they not acceptable?” Mrs. Weasley demanded, having been the one to book that particular hotel.

“They were lovely,” Hermione assured her, “it’s just ... there was only one of them. I don’t know how it happened, but instead of two rooms, they had given us one room with two sitting areas, one in the kitchenette, one in the main room. And they had no others available either. They felt badly about the mixup, and reduced the price because of it, but ...” Her voice trailed off.

“One room, huh?” Ginny remarked, with a definite smirk.

“I see,” Mrs. Weasley said, her lips doing a marvellous impression of Professor McGonagall’s.

Harry said nothing, merely turned to his friend, one eyebrow arched.

“Don’t you be looking at me like that,” Ron snapped, “damned sofa was bloomin’ uncomfortable.”

“Now, Ron,” Hermione protested, “it’s not like I didn’t offer umpteen times to switch with you!”

“I know, I know, but had to be a gentleman, didn’t I?”

Ginny had another smirk to offer at that, and Harry just caught Mr. Weasley’s quiet smile to himself at the exchange.

Continuing,” Hermione said, pointedly, “we just got settled that first day, which was Monday, trying to sleep off the effects of the flight. But by Wednesday evening all we’d managed to do was unpack a bit, overcome jet-lag, and get used to the nine hour time difference “”

“And found that great place for cheap breakfast round the corner from the hotel,” Ron added.

“I stand corrected,” Hermione agreed, with a smile, “we did do that, as well, but that was all. I’d tried searching for Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins, using Muggle and magical methods: locator spells, Internet searches, local and long-distance telephone books, all with no luck. I’ll admit I was starting to get worried. I’d even read“”

“Many times over!” Ron cut in.

“ “all the books I’d brought ...” Hermione went on as if he hadn’t spoken, and tossed onto the table her beaded bag with its magical size enhancement. It landed with a thud that seemed incongruent to its size. “... the ones on Memory Charms, especially how to track people under possible faulty ones, as there seemed to be no trace of my parents under their pseudonyms.”

“And you lot know Hermione - if it had been in the books, she’d have found it!” Ron added, a trace of pride obvious in his tone.

“Then,” Hermione continued with the story, “on the fourth day, Ron convinced me to get out of the hotel and go for a long walk“”

“Driving me mad she was.”

“And we ended up on Forbes Street. I don’t know what made us head there, but we strolled down it. I think we must have missed the significance of the first poster since they were plastered everywhere, but by the second or third, it quickly sank in what they were.”

“Posters?” the others chorused. “Of what?”

“Well,” Hermione began, her eyes bright, “they had“”

“Hang on,” Ron interrupted, “we can show ‘em.” With that, he got up from the table, and headed for the pile of luggage in the corner of the kitchen. Grasping his carry-on bag, he unzipped the front pouch and rummaged within it for a few moments before pulling out a folded piece of cream-coloured Muggle paper.

“You kept one?” Hermione blurted out, incredulous.

“Well, yeah,” Ron said with a shrug as he returned to his seat. “Why not?”

Harry noticed the look of affection that Hermione bestowed on Ron. His attention taken with unfolding the poster and smoothing it out, Ron missed it. The others leaned forward to see the paper.

DO YOU KNOW THIS COUPLE?

Below this query was a snapshot of Mr. and Mrs. Granger looking decidedly ill-at-ease and very confused.

IF SO, REPORT TO THE SECURITY DESK,
ST. VINCENT’S HOSPITAL, CARITAS SITE,
FORBES AND BURTON STREETS



“They had them?” Mr. Weasley remarked. “They were all right, then?”

“I didn’t know,” Hermione replied. “They could have been badly hurt, couldn’t they? Or they could have been in the hospital because they didn’t know who they were.”

“We didn’t stop to think about it much,” Ron put in, “we grabbed the poster and ran down the street to the hospital.”

“Felt like the longest run of my life,” Hermione added, before telling them what happened next ...

********************

Her lungs bursting, her legs like jelly from the exertion, Hermione forced her way through the hospital doors, not bothering to wait for the automatic sensor to open them for her. She and Ron scanned the foyer, only then realizing that they were in the Mental Health Service satellite building of St Vincent’s Hospital. They exchanged a grim look at what that might mean before heading for the information desk directly in front of them.

“Security desk, please,” Hermione demanded, breathless.

The woman seated within her little booth gave Hermione an odd look but pointed silently down a short corridor to the couple’s right.

“Thanks,” Hermione threw over her shoulder, already hurrying down the hall, Ron close on her heels.

The security area that the woman had indicated was comprised of a semi-circular counter configuration with various files and papers strewn across it and a couple of phones blinking insistently at no one; the area was deserted. With a panicked look at Ron, Hermione strode past the counter towards a door behind marked ‘Security Office - Private’.

“I don’t know if you should“” Ron began but he clamped his mouth shut immediately at the look Hermione shot him.

The small room into which they stepped was also deserted. Another desk with phones stood on the couple’s right as they entered, a panel of security screens mounted above it, each screen displaying what appeared to be a different scene of the hospital. A small door on the left wall was shut, but another on the wall opposite the one into the hall stood ajar and the noise of some sort of sporting match could be heard blaring through it, accompanied by the occasional interjection of delight or annoyance from whomever was watching.

Excuse me!” Hermione called impatiently, and loudly enough for her voice to carry over the din, and made her way towards the far door. “Can we get some assistance here, please?”

The television’s sound abruptly ceased, presumably having been muted with the press of a button, springs from an upholstered piece of furniture groaned, and a lanky youth in his early twenties, apparently not too concerned with wearing his security uniform in a presentable fashion, soon stood in the doorway.

“You can’t come in ‘ere!” he barked at them. “What’s the matter? Can’t read?” He pointed indignantly at the sign on the door through which they’d entered.

“This is important,” Hermione told him. She indicated the poster she’d brought. “Where are these people?”

To their surprise, the young man smirked. “Oh them,” he said. “The ones with the kangaroos loose in the top paddock.” He tapped his temple with his forefinger to clarify his point.

Ron’s hands clenched at his side and Hermione knew he was itching to reach for his wand. “C’mere and say that again,” he snarled.

“Now, now, what’s all this about?” said a voice from behind. Ron and Hermione turned to see a jovial-looking man in his mid-forties walking towards them, drying his hands on a piece of paper towel, the small door on the left wall of the office now standing open. Unlike the younger security employee, he wore his uniform impeccably. Dropping the towel in a nearby bin, he smiled at Ron and Hermione before turning to the young man, the smile quickly fading from his face. “Would you tuck your shirt in, Jake, ya great git and get back to work. Breaks are s’posed to be fifteen minutes, not fifty. I can hear the phones buzzing from here.”

As the youth shoved parts of his shirt tail half-heartedly into his trousers, with much grumbling, and headed out the door into the outer area, the older man turned back to Ron and Hermione, once more smiling at them. “You gotta ignore him.” He dropped his voice conspiratorially. “Right yobbo he is, but he’s the administrator’s great-nephew, so there’s not much I can do now, is there?” He noticed the paper in Hermione’s hand. “But you had a question, Miss?”

She showed him the poster. “Where are these people?” she asked again, the tremble in her voice belying her worry. “They’re my parents.”

The man looked kindly at her. “Thought as much,” he said. “Can see the resemblance. They were brought in about a week ago. Not really knowing quite what was what, I’m afraid. They’re up on the second floor still, I think, but with all the changes, I could be wrong.”

“Changes?” Ron and Hermione echoed, confused.

“That’s right, you two being visitors and all, wouldn’t know about that now, would you?” He drew a deep breath. “St. Vincent’s is making some changes, see,” he said, his tone one of reciting a rehearsed speech, “this whole mental health unit’s moving and they’re starting a new building here. Moving back to the main site,” he added at the query that was obvious on their faces. “Place has been in kind of flux for a bit now as all the patients are moved over. Ones that can be, mind.”

“But my parents are still here“” Hermione glanced quickly at the man’s name tag. ““ Angus?”

“Like I said, should be,” he replied. “Best to head up to the second floor and talk to the security man up there. Name’s Liam. He’ll know.”

Hermione was halfway out the door before she remembered her manners. “Thank you,” she said, trying to smile.

Angus nodded his acknowledgement of her thanks and called after her retreating figure, “She’ll be right, you’ll see.”

“Cheers, mate,” Ron said before hurrying after Hermione.


************

Having found the stairs and ascended to the second level, Ron and Hermione emerged from the stairwell into a small foyer, obviously the centre of activity for the floor. A large, semi-circular counter arrangement, in the same design as the security desk on the ground level, dominated the floor space. In addition to a couple of phones, two computers shared the surface of the counter. The entire wall behind the desk was taken up with a floor-to-ceiling shelving unit packed with files, while a board of call lights occupied the right hand wall. This greeting/work area was empty so Ron and Hermione headed to their left down a small hallway dotted with doors, where they could see two people in what appeared to be a heated discussion.

The closer of the two was a tall, gray-haired man dressed in security uniform, his back to them. He was arguing with the other individual, a stocky man with one of those ageless faces that makes it difficult to place the person at twenty- or fifty-five. It was this man who was talking as Ron and Hermione approached the pair.

““and he gave me my instructions. They’re to be moved next week!”

“Then your supervisor’s got it wrong, doesn’t he?”

“I’ll tell him you said that!”

“You do that,” the gray-haired man replied calmly. “I’m telling you, from Dr. Wong herself, Mrs. Bartlett and Mr. and Mrs. Doe aren’t to be moved until the very end.”

“When I get this sussed, I’ll be back next week to get them, just see if I don’t!”

Without waiting for a reply, he stormed off down the hallway in the direction in which Ron and Hermione had come, completely ignoring them. Still with his back to them, the gray-haired man shook his head in disbelief, muttering something about the higher up they get, the dimmer they are.

“Uh, excuse me?” Hermione began. “Are you Liam?”

Startled, he turned quickly and they saw he was an older man in his mid-sixties. “That I am,” he said with a smile that crinkled his well-bronzed face like worn leather. “What can I do for you, little missy?”

Refraining from rolling her eyes, Hermione showed him the poster in her hands. “Where is this couple?” Her voice was starting to take on a shrill note. “They’re my parents. I need to find them and Angus downstairs told me you could help.”

“That I can, Miss. Hang on a tic.” Looking over his shoulder to the door behind him, he called, “Gracie! Oi, Gracie! Get out here, would you?”

Within moments, the door opened and a petite young woman, not much older than Hermione herself, stepped into the hall, wiping her hands on the pinny covering her medical uniform.

“You bellowed?” she queried, her eyes twinkling at Liam with an affection that gave the impression the two were close friends. “That’s the second time you’ve interrupted Mrs. Bartlett’s meal. This better be important.”

Liam nodded. “Aye, ‘tis,” he assured her. “This young lady here says she’s Mr. and Mrs. Doe’s daughter.” He stepped to the side so his colleague could see Hermione, obviously eagerly awaiting a reaction to this pronouncement.

She stared for a moment or two, before hurrying forward to shake Hermione’s hand. “Are you really?” she asked. “That’s marvellous! I knew you’d come. I just knew it. I’m Grace Costigan, psychiatric nurse.” She shrugged before adding, “Although around here, with the move and all, I do everything else as well.”

“Hermione Granger.” Hermione clasped Ron on the elbow to bring him closer. “And this is Ron Weasley.”

“You wouldn’t happen to have any identification, would you, Miss Granger?” Grace smiled apologetically. “For security reasons.”

Hermione quickly produced her passport. “My parents are Alison and Geoffrey Granger. They were ... visiting Australia.” Ron was probably the only person present who noticed the slight hesitation before she uttered the word ‘visiting’.

Grace was nodding. “They were found on Forbes Street twelve days ago. We still aren’t sure what happened. We figure they got into an accident of some sort, although physically they’re in great shape. At first, Mr. Doe called himself Wilkins, Wendell Wilkins, but the woman insisted she was Monica Granger. She knew she was married with no children. As days went by, though, she claimed to be Monica Wilkins, which fit with her husband’s story, but then changed it to Alison Granger. About five days ago she became quite agitated and refused to eat. She said she had a daughter and demanded to know what had happened to her. Hours later, she settled down once more, claiming again that she’d never had children.”

Hermione fought to contain her excitement. Her mother’s mind was evidently beginning to resist the Memory Charm on its own. Reestablishing her true identity would therefore be a rather simple matter; Hermione’s resources had been confident on that point.

“May I see them?” she asked.

Grace nodded. “Of course.” She glanced at Liam. “You wouldn’t mind feeding Mrs. Bartlett?”

“Not at all,” he replied, immediately heading for that woman’s room.

“This way ...” Grace said to Ron and Hermione and she led them to one of the closed doors, but turned back briefly. “But remember “”

“I know,” Hermione said quietly. “They probably won’t recognize me.”

This prediction didn’t prove entirely accurate. Ron and Hermione followed Grace through the door into a tiny corridor which led only to another door, the second one sporting a control panel of buttons which Grace used to tap in an entry code. She motioned for Ron and Hermione to wait a moment, rapped on the door, and entered alone.

Hermione’s parents greeted their nurse warmly, which helped to relieve Hermione of some of her anxiety. At least they felt safe and comfortable with this young woman who cared for them. The three chatted amiably for a few moments before Grace mentioned that the couple had visitors. At the nurse’s signal, Hermione reached for Ron’s hand to pull him after her, and stepped forward into the room. Hermione gasped audibly at the sight of her mother standing expectantly in the middle of the fairly large, homey-looking room.

Alison Granger’s eyes shone with immediate recognition when she saw Hermione. Throwing out her arms in ecstatic greeting she cried, “HERMI“” Her mouth clamped shut abruptly. Her eyes had dulled almost instantly, as if a cloud had passed over them. She frowned, perplexed. “I’m sorry. Do I know you?”

Hermione’s own eyes filled with tears but her voice when she spoke was remarkably steady. “I’m Hermione,” she said.

“Monica Wilkins,” replied her mother, without a beat. Mrs. Granger gestured to the man sitting in an armchair by the window. “And this is my husband, Wendell.”

Mr. Granger looked away from the view at his wife’s words and gave Hermione a nod. “Pleased to meet you,” he said genially before returning his attention to what was going on outside.

The visit was polite and friendly, although at Grace’s suggestion, kept brief. The five of them exchanged pleasantries about the weather and shared information about tourist spots in Darlinghurst and other parts of Sydney, something Hermione’s parents could recall well. By some unspoken agreement Ron, Hermione, and Grace refrained from offering any comments regarding Hermione’s relationship with the older couple, and Mr. and Mrs. Granger showed no curiosity about the subject.

After seven or eight minutes, Grace indicated discreetly that perhaps it was time to leave. As soon as the three visitors had left the room and the door was once again secured behind them, Grace quickly tried to reassure Hermione that it had gone well, and that if she continued to spend time with her parents their memories could very likely return fully. Hermione, though, required no such reassurance and said as much to Ron later, when they were back in the privacy of their hotel room.

“So you can reverse the Charm?” Ron wanted to know.

“In less than a minute,” Hermione replied with absolute confidence.

“Well, why didn’t you when we were there, then?” Ron demanded. “You know, quick ‘swish’,” he twirled his hand as if casting a spell, “behind Nurse’s back.”

Hermione had begun sorting through the textbooks in her size-enhanced bag. “Think, Ron,” she chided. “I show up and ‘poof’ my parents are better, just like that? The hospital staff would get suspicious. And I don’t want any more attention than we can help. I need to do this gradually.”

Ron was nodding now. “Make it look as if it’s happening naturally: you spend time with them, they start remembering ...”

“Exactly,” Hermione confirmed, still rummaging in her bag. “I go back each day for a week or so, each time altering a bit more of their memories.” She sat back suddenly on her heels. “Where on earth did I put Compendium of Charms: Mind and Memory?”

***************

Hermione drew to a close and cleared her throat. Mrs. Weasley immediately raised her wand to direct a glass from the cupboard, soon filling it with water for the young woman.

Hermione smiled gratefully as she took the proffered drink. “Thank you,” she said between sips. “My mouth was getting dry.” The light through the kitchen windows had changed during Hermione’s story; it was now shining with the deeper orange glow of impending sunset. Mr. Weasley lit the lamps in the room with a casual flick of his wand.

“Any plans for dinner, Mum?” Ron asked hopefully.

Mrs. Weasley chuckled but before she could speak, Ginny piped up. “Wait. I want to hear the end of the story. Did your plan work?”

“But I’m hungry now!” Ron complained.

“I can cook and listen at the same time. You finish the story, Hermione, while I get the meal started.” Without waiting for a reply, Mrs. Weasley stood to begin her preparations.

Yes,” Hermione said, answering Ginny’s question, “the plan worked. Every day, Ron and I visited my parents and each time I managed to reverse a part of the Memory Charm. My mother’s memory returned first, as I suspected it would. By the fourth day she knew everything and was actively helping me with Dad, doing what she could when we weren’t there to remind him of his true identity. By the end of a week, they knew exactly who they were, everything that had happened to them, and all that had gone on in the Wizarding world.” Hermione reached for her glass again.

“We had been making plans to return when we weren’t at the hospital,” Ron put in as she sipped her water, “so we were soon ready to leave.”

“We got my parents settled in at home, and came here,” finished Hermione.

“Well done! Both of you,” Mrs. Weasley offered, lighting a fire under the potatoes on the stove.

“Tremendous!” Mr. Weasley agreed as he patted Hermione on the shoulder and got up to help his wife with dinner.

“I’m glad you’re back,” Ginny told them.

I’m glad there were no Death Eaters,” Harry muttered so only his friends could hear.

“Death Eaters?” Hermione cried, though quietly. “What do you mean?”

He filled them in about the nightmares he’d endured during their absence.

“That’s awful,” Hermione said. “You must have been so worried.”

“Thought you would’ve got rid of the there’s-always-danger-must-rescue-everyone complex once you’d offed Voldemort,” Ron commented. “I guess not.”

“Remind me not to worry about you next time, won’t you?”

“There’s something else we need to talk about,” Ginny said to Hermione, loudly enough to be heard over the beginnings of a row between the young men. “We got letters a while ago ...”

Hermione was nodding vigourously. “From McGonagall. We got them too. Are you returning?”

“I need to do my seventh year. You?”

“I really want to. McGonagall’s asked me to assist in Transfiguration. And the thought of not achieving NEWT level ...” The idea was apparently too horrible to put into words.

“So, what’s stopping you?”

Hermione shot a look at Ron. “Someone’s not too keen on the idea.”

“Oh, come on, Ron,” Ginny said. “You’d get to spend the year with Hermione. That’s got to be worth something.”

“As great as that would be,” Ron said, somewhat surprisingly to Harry, “the thought of another year at school ...?” He shuddered, apparently as unable as Hermione to voice the idea. “I thought I was well clear of the place.”

Ginny winked at Hermione’s crestfallen face. “Well, if Hermione can’t convince you, maybe I can,” she said.

Ron frowned. “What do you mean?” he asked suspiciously.

“Well,” she said, her lips twitching, “Harry’s coming too. I think we’d rather enjoy not having your prohibitive presence dogging our every move ...”

“When do we leave?” Ron snapped




A/N - There, finally done. Long chapter. Hope it makes up for the delay. Chapter 5 is finished and will be posted asap. cj
Chapter 5 - Popping the (First) Question by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
These characters don't belong to me, I'm just borrowing them to have some fun. I'll put 'em back, I promise!
Chapter 5 - Popping the (First) Question

Harry awoke well after nine o’clock on the morning of his birthday. Slowly rolling onto his back, he opened his eyes experimentally but promptly shut them to avoid the sudden glare of light streaming through Ron’s window.

Snuggling down under the bedclothes again, he decided that he would much prefer to remain in bed. With a smile to himself he thought he would do just that. It was his birthday after all. If he wanted to have a lie-in, why not? He was reluctant to leave the warmth of the bed, reluctant, also, to leave behind the remnants of the rather pleasant dream he had been having, one that featured a certain pretty red-haired young woman. He’d never seen her in a bikini ... School uniforms and jeans hid so much; a girl’s figure wasn’t always apparent in such clothes. He much preferred how bathing suits showed off the shape of“

His pleasant musings were abruptly shattered as a pillow slammed across his face.

“Oi, you lazy lump! Get out of bed already!”

Angered, Harry shot bolt upright. “What the hell was that for?” He threw the offending pillow back at Ron.

“Mum says no one eats until the birthday boy comes down, you’re up here sleeping the day away, and I’m hungry. So get up!”

Inwardly grumbling, but loathe to put Mrs. Weasley or the girls out (Ron could starve for all he cared at the moment), Harry grudgingly dragged himself into the day.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Hermione was the first to greet him as he made it to the ground floor. “Happy birthday, Harry!” she cried from the doorway of the sitting room where she had been in conversation with Ginny. She hurried forward to give him a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

Ginny was next. “Getting your beauty sleep?” she remarked with a wink before leaning in for a kiss.

“Sorry,” Harry said, somewhat sheepishly. He pulled Ginny closer to murmur, “I was dreaming of you ...”

Knew Ron shouldn’t have disturbed you.” She kissed him again. When they had broken apart, Harry saw Hermione’s face was pink-tinged and he realized she must have overheard their exchange.

Fortunately, Mrs. Weasley entered the kitchen just then, preventing further embarrassment.

“Harry!” she said. “Many happy returns of the day to you!”

“Thanks,” he managed to get out before she enveloped him in a suffocating embrace.

When she’d finally released him, she looked expectantly at him. “Ready to eat, dear? I’ve made all your favourites ...” She gestured to the table where Harry could see she did indeed mean all. The surface of the table could barely be seen with all the serving dishes crowding it.

“That’s great, Mrs. Weasley. Thanks very much.”

“Please, don’t mention it.” Mrs. Weasley called her son for breakfast.

“‘Bout bloody time,” Ron muttered, taking a seat across from Harry, who kicked him under the table.

Luckily for Harry, both Ginny and Hermione passed Ron dishes at that moment, saving Harry’s shins from physical harm.

The five of them spent some long, silent minutes filling their plates with eggs and bacon, sausage and ham, and various fresh fruits, and then even longer enjoying the meal. It was only after they’d each emptied a plate at least once that conversation resumed. Ginny spoke first.

“So, Harry, what did you want from me for your birthday?”

Harry couldn’t stop the sudden grin that split his face. He shot her a sly look. “I’m not sure you could top last year’s gift.”

Ginny smirked. “Hmmm ... Is that a challenge?” she asked, with mock innocence. “There must be something I could do to improve on it.”

Hermione sprayed orange juice all over the table.

Ron, assuming she was choking, thumped her on the back, before asking his sister, “Why? What’d you get him last year?”

Harry shot Ginny another look, biting back laughter.

“Never you mind,” Ginny told Ron, her eyes fixed on Harry’s. Harry returned to his meal, smiling to himself. He was under the impression that Mrs. Weasley, busy refilling some of the serving dishes behind them, was unaware of their topic of conversation. This impression was quickly shattered when she resumed her seat and remarked, offhandedly, to Ginny, “As long as your gift can be given in your father’s and my presence, dear.” She reached calmly for the scrambled eggs, carefully avoiding eye contact with her daughter.

It was Harry’s turn to choke on his drink.

“Why all the talk of giving him a present from you?” Ron demanded. “You’ve gone in with us to give him a“”

Ron!” Hermione admonished, shocked.

““ a gift.” Ron glared at Hermione. “Wasn’t going to tell him. How thick do you think I am?”

As Hermione apologised, Harry turned to Ginny. “A group gift, huh?”

“Yeah. Dad’s bringing it home tonight.”

Sure enough, later that afternoon, the intoxicating aroma of baking treacle tart filling the house, Mr. Weasley did indeed arrive home clutching a large, brightly-wrapped box. The shape was vaguely familiar to Harry but Mr. Weasley had whisked it out of sight before the younger man could dwell too much on it.

It wasn’t until after a superb dinner rounded off with Harry having two servings (each) of birthday cake and treacle tart, that he got a decent look at his present. Staring at the long, rectangular box lying on the table, Harry’s memory clicked into sharp focus and “ despite the paper covering it “ he knew exactly what it was.

Harry stared round at all of them. “It isn’t,” he said, stunned.

“It is,” Ron replied, grinning from ear to ear.

“It’s too much,” Harry argued.

“Don’t be daft,” Mr. Weasley said, his grin as wide as his son’s.

“Open it,” Hermione urged.

“But“”

Open it,” Ginny insisted, “or I just might have to take it.”

The looks on their faces convincing him there was no use in arguing further, Harry ripped off the paper and opened the box to reveal his brand-new Firebolt.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Harry and his friends spent the rest of that evening and most of the next day taking turns trying out the new broom. Harry was thrilled to experience once again the familiar rapid acceleration and effortless maneuvering of the first-rate mount.

His suspicions earlier in the summer regarding Ginny’s flying skill were confirmed when he watched her on the Firebolt. Even Ron was openly-impressed with his sister’s ability, despite the fact that she obviously outstripped him in that area.

The four remained outside all afternoon, only trooping reluctantly into the house after Mr. Weasley arrived home from work and Mrs. Weasley had called them three times to get ready. They were all heading to Shell Cottage for dinner with the rest of the family to celebrate Bill and Fleur’s first wedding anniversary.

Just as they were preparing to leave, the Floo Powder pot in Ron’s hand, a tawny owl soared through the open kitchen window, landed upon the mantle, and, squawking madly, shook its leg at them to indicate the letter it was carrying.

“That’s Bill’s owl,” Ron said, rather unnecessarily, as they all knew.

Mrs. Weasley hurried up to the fireplace, slipping her handbag over her arm. “Perhaps they need us to take something.”

Her husband took the folded note from the owl’s leg, gave it a pat on its head, and it flew back out the window. He unfolded the letter and gave it a quick perusal. “Dinner’s off,” he announced shortly.

“It’s off?” Mrs. Weasley cried, before the others could say anything. “Whatever do you mean? We’re all ready to go. That’s rather late notice, I’d say.”

There was something strange in Mr. Weasley’s manner when he informed them, “Fleur’s ill.”

“Ill?” they all chorused.

“Is she all right?” Hermione was the first to ask.

Harry could see the worried look that had come into Mrs. Weasley’s eyes as she stepped forward to see the letter. Her husband must have noticed as well, for he quickly assured her, “She’ll be fine, Molly. She’s just not feeling well because ... well, because she’s expecting.”

Mrs. Weasley stood stunned for a full half minute before throwing up her arms and shrieking with such delight the others had literally to cover their ears. After much whooping and cheering and hugs all round, Mrs. Weasley broke away from them to peer wistfully at the window through which the owl had flown. “I wish that animal had stayed for a moment. I must send her a note ...”

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

As Harry made his way down the Weasleys’ back steps and through the garden at just gone half-six, almost a month after they’d heard the news about Fleur, and a few days before the expected date of departure for Hogwarts, he could see the sun had dropped behind the trees in the orchard, infusing the garden with its warm, orange glow as it streaked through the branches.

He was filled with an uneasy dread about the conversation he was about to initiate. He tried to tell himself that it was nothing to be worried about, that he’d spoken with Mr. Weasley loads of times, and for many different reasons, but he wasn’t convincing himself; this conversation was of much greater importance, and he didn’t want to mess it up.

Despite his preoccupation, as he approached the henhouse he couldn’t help but smile; Mr. Weasley was keeping up a constant stream of mumbled exclamations to himself. The motorbike reassembly was obviously not going well, Harry thought grimly, and wondered if he should postpone his chat. As he turned to go back to the house, though, he tripped over an old Wellington boot and grabbed hold of a rusty cauldron to steady himself and prevent an ungraceful sprawl onto the muddy ground.

“Molly?” came a panicked voice from inside the henhouse. “Is that you, dear? Just checking the hens, I’ll be out in a moment! No need for you to step in this muck.”

Harry swore under his breath. So much for a silent retreat to the safety of the house. “It’s just me, Mr. Weasley,” he called out. Plucking up his courage, he plunged onward towards the modest building, Arthur’s muttered ‘Thank goodness for that’ just managing to reach his ears.

Being familiar with Arthur Weasley’s method of investigating anything Muggle, Harry was not very surprised when he entered the henhouse to find the other man kneeling on the ground, surrounded by what appeared to be every single part of Sirius’ old motorbike spread out before him, the bits of metal and steel interspersed with chicken feathers and the occasional irritated hen who squawked and flapped impatiently beside him before fluttering back up to her roost.

“Harry!” Mr. Weasley said. “Just the person I might need. You were raised by Muggles, tell me something.” He picked up two different parts, one in each hand, and showed them to Harry. “Do you think this part,” he said, indicating the sprocket-type piece of metal in his right hand, “fits anywhere near this one?” he waved the other bit of metal in his left.

Harry raised his arms in mock surrender. “Sorry, Mr. Weasley. I’m definitely not the one to ask. Uncle Vernon hated me even sitting in his car, let alone looking under the bonnet. About the only engine or mechanical parts I ever saw were on the mower when I had to cut the grass. And that motor,” he grimaced apologetically, “looked nothing like this...” He gestured towards the assorted parts scattered on the ground.

Mr. Weasley sighed heavily. “I was afraid of that.” He dropped the parts unceremoniously back to the ground and stood up, wiping his hands on the seat of his trousers. “So, anyway, Harry, what can I do for you? Is Molly wondering where I am?”

Harry smiled. “No. She’s sending another owl to Fleur. She thought of some more advice for her.” He pretended not to hear Mr. Weasley’s muttered ‘poor girl’ and continued, “No, I was actually wondering if I could have a word.”

“Certainly, Harry. Any time, you know that.” He looked ruefully at the mess on the floor. “Perhaps in the orchard?”

“Sure,” Harry agreed, with another grin.

In less than a minute, the two of them were strolling companionably along the wide path that passed through the orderly rows of apple and peach trees. Neither of them spoke, but simply enjoyed the lengthening shadows and now pinky-orange display as the sun sank even lower over the western wall of the orchard. They had soon reached the wall and Mr. Weasley turned and leaned against it. Crossing his arms in front of his chest, he glanced down at his trainers, absentmindedly rubbing one against the other to try and scrape off some grease from the toe.

“So, Harry,” he asked, “what was it you wanted to speak with me about?”

Harry inhaled deeply and let out the air with a massive sigh. Facing the wall, he placed his hands on it, leaning his weight on it, and stared, unseeing, at the darkening sky, now a deeper blue. “I’ve been thinking a lot this summer. About my life, and what I want to do.”

Mr. Weasley nodded. “Very wise.”

“This year is pretty much sewn up, but after that ... I’m not sure. I’d wanted to try my hand as an Auror, but I’ll have to wait for my exam results, I suppose ...”

“Mmm ...” Mr. Weasley murmured.

“So, now, it’s all a bit up in the air. Except for one thing.” He swallowed hard.

“Yes?” Mr. Weasley prompted, when Harry didn’t continue.

“Well, about the only thing I’m sure about at the moment is ... well, is Ginny.”

“Ginny,” Mr. Weasley repeated.

“Yeah. You see, the only future I want, now that I know I have one,” he added grimly, “has her in it.”

Mr. Weasley turned to face him. “Harry, are you trying to tell me you want to marry my daughter?”

“Well, I, um, yeah, actually, I am.” He sighed again, not at all sure he was doing this right, it had seemed so much simpler in his head. “I don’t know the wizard traditions about this sort of thing, and honestly, right now I’m kicking myself for not finding out. But I was raised a Muggle, and all I know is that if you want to ask a girl to marry you, you have to get the permission of her father for her hand. That’s just an expression, of course.” He knew he was starting to babble, but was unable to stop. “I mean you want to marry the whole girl, don’t you? What it means is“” He broke off abruptly at the sound of Mr. Weasley’s voice. “Pardon?”

“I said, ‘yes’, Harry. If it’s approval or permission you want, you have it. From myself and Molly both. No question.” He smiled fondly at Harry. “In fact, we were wondering when you’d bring it up. We thought you would have ages ago.”

Harry wheeled and dropped with a bump onto the wall. He was having a hard time taking all this in. “You did? Wait. You do?” He couldn’t keep the note of surprise out of his voice.

Mr. Weasley’s smile widened. “Of course, Harry. We couldn’t have picked a better son-in-law ourselves.”

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Trying desperately to stifle the broad grin on his face, Harry entered the house a short while later and saw the others all in the kitchen: Mrs. Weasley directing, with her wand, a load of clean washing into a basket, and Ron and Hermione playing a game of Wizard Chess while Ginny watched. She was apparently trying to give pointers to Hermione, who as far as Harry could see was losing spectacularly.

Pulling out a chair, Harry sat next to Ginny who immediately turned to him. “Where’ve you been?”

He gave what he hoped was a nonchalant shrug. “Just went for a walk.” This, at least, was not entirely untrue.

“No, no, no,” Ginny suddenly cried, her attention back on the game. “Not there. He’ll take your“ Never mind,” she groaned resignedly as Ron’s knight sent Hermione’s queen flying across the board.

“Check!” Ron crowed.

“You just be quiet, you,” Hermione snapped peevishly. She turned to her friend. “Now what?”

As Ginny painstakingly outlined a new plan of attack, Ron caught Harry’s eye and raised his brows in mute query. Harry gave him a furtive thumbs up sign before glancing at Mrs. Weasley who had hoisted the now-full basket into her arms and was heading for the stairs.

“Mrs. Weasley?” Harry said, getting to his feet again.

“Hmm?”

“I’m, er, heading into Diagon Alley tomorrow and “ Here, let me take that from you ...” He reached out for the basket which she had temporarily rested against the banister.

“Oh, thank you, dear, it’s just going on up to the linen cupboard.”

Harry started up the stairs with it, Mrs. Weasley following closely behind.

“So, anyway,” he continued, “I’m going to Diagon Alley tomorrow and I was wondering ... is there anything you need from the shops?”

“How sweet to ask!” Mrs. Weasley thought a moment. They’d reached the landing where the linens were kept and she opened the cupboard, loading the folded sheets and towels inside as Harry continued to hold the basket. “Well, let me think. The school things are done, but there might be one or two items ...” She peered at him closely. “You wouldn’t mind?”

He shook his head. “Not at all,” he quickly assured her. “My pleasure.”

She closed the cupboard and smiled fondly at him. “Such a dear boy ...” She relieved him of the empty basket and headed back down the stairs. “Well, if you’re sure ... I think I have a list somewhere ...”

Back in the kitchen she rummaged for a few moments in the piles of paper and other odds and ends occupying the counter before pulling out, with a cry of triumph, a small piece of parchment. “Here it is!” She gave it a quick perusal before handing it to Harry. “Not too many things, I hope?”

Harry glanced at the brief list of basic cooking and cleaning potions. “No. This is fine. Really,” he added at the doubtful look on her face.

“Oh, I’ll just get my bag,” Mrs. Weasley murmured, scanning the kitchen for it.

“Don’t be silly,” Harry said. “My treat.”

“I couldn’t possibly let you“”

“Course you can,” Harry argued. “I insist.”

“But“”

Harry shook his head at her. “No buts. After everything you’ve done for me? Least I can do.”

She smiled at him again and patted his hand affectionately. Murmuring once more about how sweet he was, she glanced at the clock on the wall and strode to the back door. “Now where on earth is Arthur? He’s been out there ages.” She opened the door, calling his name, but her voice soon faded as she headed to the hen house.

Harry folded Mrs. Weasley’s list and shoved it into the back pocket of his jeans, heading over to the table again. He sat back down just in time to see Hermione’s king get belted by Ron’s bishop.

“Checkmate!” he roared, punching a fist into the air.

Hermione slumped back in her chair, dejected, while Ron started packing up the game, gleefully humming to himself. When Hermione made no move to help him he commented, pointedly, “You do know where to put these ...”

Harry just caught Hermione’s comment under her breath about knowing exactly where she could put them, before she grudgingly began to help. Ginny smirked at her remark before turning to Harry. “What’s this about you going into Diagon Alley tomorrow?”

Harry’s stomach clenched at the question, his errands were definitely something he wanted kept private, at least from her for now, but how could he do that without her taking offense? Striving for a casual air he didn’t quite feel, he replied, “Oh, I owe your mum money, remember? From when she bought the school things last week.”

“Want some company?”

Again, Harry’s insides squirmed horribly, and he wondered how he was going to get out of this one.
Chapter 6 - Errands by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
With the exception of the snotty store clerk (and you can keep him), these characters don't belong to me. They belong to Ms Rowling herself. I hope she doesn't mind me borrowing them for my enjoyment, and hopefully yours!
Chapter 6 - Errands

The next morning, Harry Apparated directly onto the steps of the Leaky Cauldron to avoid being seen by any non-magical folk passing by. Momentarily thrown off-balance by the heavy item in the pouch around his neck (the one Hagrid had given him), he quickly righted himself, glancing around nervously to see if anyone had seen a stray elbow or foot slip off the steps into the Muggle area of the street; no one seemed to have noticed him, though.

He was thankfully alone, having managed the night before to convince Ginny that he was not only getting things for her mum, but also wanted to spend some time shopping for Christmas presents for her.

Entering the pub, he was almost immediately noticed, recognized, and engulfed by those witches and wizards present all slapping him heartily on the back, shaking him by the hand, and stammering their thanks over and over. It was the first time Harry had been to Diagon Alley since Voldemort’s defeat, and he had expected this reaction, as embarrassed as he was by it.

After many rather uncomfortable moments receiving the congratulations and good wishes, Harry was a bit relieved when the old barkeep called over to him, “How about a drink, Mr. Potter? On the house, of course.” Tom was holding up a bottle of Firewhiskey to illustrate his point.

Harry, knowing full well he wouldn’t be able to get by with refusing said, “Maybe just a small one. Thanks, Tom.” He made his way over to the bar to get it, his admirers following in his wake.

It wasn’t until a good twenty minutes had gone by, a shot of Firewhiskey and two Butterbeers later, that he was finally able to extricate himself from the enthusiastic crowd. With a regretful tone he told them that he had some things he needed to do. Someone in the corner piped up that important as he was, his business had to be something vital to all of Wizardkind. Harry chuckled at that and said, “Actually, I only have to pick up some cleaning potions and things.”

The witches and wizards filling the pub roared with laughter, and Harry realized they thought he was pulling their collective leg. “No, really,” he insisted, “I do have to get some.” His statement was met with more guffaws, and he gave up trying to convince them. With a few last handshakes and a wave, he was gone.

Stepping into the alley he took a deep breath, glad to be alone again, and pulled out his wand. He had soon tapped the correct brick of the barrier separating the courtyard from the hidden magical world beyond.

As the bricks rearranged themselves to reveal their opening into Diagon Alley, Harry blinked in surprise. He stepped through the archway and looked around in amazement. He wasn’t sure if it was the brightly-coloured posters and banners he could see in almost every shop window, the happy bustling of the many shoppers hurrying about their business, the festive-looking flowers arranged around every lamppost, or something else entirely, but the street seemed to shine like never before. Harry had a sneaking suspicion that Voldemort’s demise had something to do with the vivid colours, the bright faces of the people thronging the pavement, waving and smiling good-naturedly to one another as they passed, and he stood for a few moments simply enjoying the sight. He soon remembered the nature of his business, though, and with a sigh, made his way through the crowds to his first stop of the morning.

The windows of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes looked much the same as usual, with their whirring, whizzing, elaborately-coloured displays, but Harry felt a sudden jolt of sadness; it was the first time he’d visited the shop since Fred had died. Two years ago when he’d first set eyes on the business, the flashy exhibits in the window had seemed a welcome breath of life in the midst of the atmosphere of fear and uncertainty that had permeated the street back then. Today, amid the more upbeat aura he’d felt when he’d arrived in the road, Fred and George’s shop just made him feel gloomy.

With another sigh, he pushed into the shop, the hidden object around his neck banging against the door as he did so. Business was brisk, as usual, and at first Harry wasn’t able to make out much amid the people crowding the shop. He did see the two dark-haired young witches whose names he could never manage to remember serving customers, but there was no sign of George. As he roamed the aisles, glancing at the new items among those that were familiar to him, he caught sight of Verity, the young blonde assistant he knew well. She was hurriedly re-stocking the Skiving Snackboxes “ apparently still a raging success despite the fact that schools weren’t in session during the summer break “ but looked up at Harry’s approach.

“Mr. Potter!” she cried and he cringed inwardly. As the original financier of the now-thriving enterprise, all the employees knew him by sight and as a sign of respect, insisted on referring to him in such a manner. If truth be told, however, he would much rather that they called him by his first name.

“Verity,” he replied politely, “how are you?”

“Business is great!” she told him brightly and Harry had to agree, the throng of shoppers was certainly testimony to that. The young witch’s hand fluttered abruptly to her lips. It trembled slightly. “Of course,” she went on, her tone much more subdued, “it’s so strange without Mr. Weasley. Not the same at all...” Her voice trailed off and Harry found himself suddenly very interested in the boxes of Nosebleed Nougat on the shelf. He had seen the woman’s eyes fill with tears and had no desire to watch her cry; his own eyes had started to burn and he wasn’t sure he could maintain a suitable level of composure himself if she were to break down in front of him.

Fixing his eyes on a spot just over her left eyebrow, he murmured, “Is George around?”

Verity returned to her boxes grateful, it seemed, for their departure from the previous topic. “Yes,” she said with a small sniff. “He’s in the back. You know the way?”

He nodded and hurried further on down the aisle, anxious to move on. The office was located along the right hand wall, behind one of the display counter/till arrangements. Harry saw that the door was ajar but knocked twice upon it first. When there was no reply, he knocked again, a little louder, and pushed the door open further. George was at the large table he used as a desk, reclining fully in his swivel chair, legs up on the papers and ledgers spread across the table’s surface, apparently deep in thought. George looked up only when Harry called his name.

“Harry, mate! Good to see you,” George said, lifting his legs off the table. “Have I been ignoring you for a while? The girls say it drives them mad, me not answering.”

“No. Just got here,” Harry replied, a little startled at George’s appearance, as he always was when he hadn’t seen him for a while. He wondered if he would ever get fully used to seeing him without an ear. “Am I interrupting?”

“No, no, course not.” He sighed despondently. “Just doing the books. Hard to wrap my head around it though. Fred always used to “” He broke off abruptly and cleared his throat. “But enough about me. What brings you to Diagon Alley? Need some joke supplies for Hogwarts? Anything you want, you know it’s on the house.”

Harry grinned at the offer. “No. Nothing like that. I, erm, I actually had a proposition for you.”

George sat up a little straighter, his eyes intent on Harry. “What sort of proposition?” he asked, and Harry could tell that his interest was piqued.

“I was going to ask Ron but then we’d probably have to tell the girls and it’s supposed to be a surprise and they’d be worried it was dangerous. I couldn’t ask Bill, of course, wouldn’t want him to lose his job or anything, especially with a baby on the way. So then I“”

“Harry,” George cut in impatiently. “Out with it. I do have to cash out in six hours.”

Harry grinned again, sheepishly this time, realizing he had been prattling. “Sorry. Well, the thing is, I need gold.”

“Gold.”

“Yeah,” Harry confirmed, and began to explain his plan.

When he had drawn to a close he was surprised to see George rubbing his hands together briskly, his eyes brighter than Harry had seen them for ages. “Right,” George said, springing to his feet, “I reckon we could be in for a spot of trouble, then? Bit of duelling perhaps?”

Harry marvelled at the positively gleeful tone. “Well, it probably won’t come to that ...” he said, also getting to his feet.

George slapped him heartily on the back. “We can always hope, mate, we can always hope.”

Harry eyed him curiously. “You always been this reckless?”

George laughed. “Oh, come on, Harry, cut a bloke some slack. Just want to feel useful.”

They headed for the door that led into the shop. “Well, in that case,” Harry muttered ruefully as he held the door wide for the other man to pass through first, “the next bit will have you feeling downright indispensable.”

George paused on the threshold, his brow creased in confusion.

“If this doesn’t work,” Harry explained, “I’m going to need to borrow a whole pile of gold.”

“A pile of gold,” George repeated doubtfully. “For paying Mum back for your school things and to do her shopping?”

Harry chuckled. “Not exactly ...”

George must have sensed his reluctance. “Come off it, Harry,” he chided, “if you’re expecting me to part with a great deal of my hard-earned Galleons ...”

Harry sighed resignedly and followed George through the shop. “I’ll tell you on the way,” he conceded.

************

It was only a few minutes later that the two of them were staring up at the impressive white building that was Gringotts. Harry’s stomach clenched horribly and he wondered why he’d bothered having three servings of eggs and bacon that morning. They weren’t playing nicely with the drinks he’d consumed at the pub.

He hadn’t been anywhere near the bank since he, Ron, and Hermione had talked Griphook into helping them break in; he was not at all sure of the reception he would receive. A rough guess, though, was that it would be nothing like the one he’d gotten at the Leaky Cauldron.

George nudged his arm. “Ready, then?”

Harry nodded dully. Reaching for Hagrid’s pouch, still around his neck, he pulled it open, drew out a set of black robes, and quickly donned them, feeling more comfortable conducting business at Wizarding establishments with them on. He smiled at the astonished look on George’s face.

“How the devil did you fit those in there?” he asked.

“Undetectable Expansion Charm,” he explained. “Came in right handy last year. Hermione showed me.”

“So that must be where you’ve got“?”

“Yes,” Harry replied before George could finish the question. He was beginning to feel rather nervous and the less discussion at this point, the better.

George must have noticed for he clamped a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “No worries, mate.” He patted the inside pocket of his own magenta robes. “I’ll have you covered.”

Harry smiled again, though weakly this time. “Thanks,” he murmured. Taking a deep breath, he added, “Let’s go.”

They headed up the stone steps together, passing the goblin standing guard outside the bronze doors as swiftly as possible. They’d just made it to the silver doors, Harry quickly averting his eyes from the warning sign upon them, when one of the two goblin sentries standing before those doors wheeled to face Harry, obviously recognizing him. The two wizards shoved their way bodily through the doors anyway, using their height advantage to its fullest.

The one guard must have sounded some sort of alarm, though, because as soon as they stepped into the large hall they found themselves staring into dozens of angry goblin faces, the owners of which were making their way menacingly towards the pair, enclosing them in a large, and sinister, circle of livid creatures. Instinctively, Harry and George moved so that their backs were to one another as they faced their opponents.

“Harry Potter,” one of the goblins snarled, Harry didn’t catch which one, as his eyes were still adjusting to the light inside. “You dare to enter our doors? You dare to return to the place of your villainy and deceit?”

Villainy. That struck a nerve. “Yes,” Harry retorted, firmly, “I dare.”

The goblins surrounding him and George cursed loudly and a few spat on the floor at his reply. “Leave now!” they roared as one, edging closer.

George reached inside his robes for his wand. “No,” Harry muttered, shaking his head at him. “Not now.”

This seemed to surprise the goblins; Harry figured it was because they weren’t used to restraint when they were threatening most wizards or witches. “We know you are armed, wand-carriers,” an old and withered, yet remarkably fierce-looking, goblin standing to Harry’s left informed them. “That makes no difference to us. We have other means of attack even without wands.” He spat out the last word and Harry recalled Griphook telling of the bitterness the goblins felt over the fact that they’d never been allowed to own them. The old goblin’s words seemed to incite his fellows, who moved in closer.

Harry swallowed hard, trying not to think of the ‘other means of attack’ to which the old goblin had alluded . This definitely wasn’t going as well as he had hoped, but he was determined to get what he came for. “I have gold stored here,” he told them. “And I don’t intend to leave until I get it.”

“All monies that belonged to you are now forfeit, Potter,” another goblin from the circle announced. “That is the price of deception and greed.”

Harry shook his head. He was getting tired of this. “Deception?” he barked out. “Greed?” He searched the faces beyond the threatening circle of goblins until he found the one he sought, standing behind the long counter. He had obviously stood up from his counting stool when Harry had entered. Staring at him, Harry spoke to him, and him alone, “You know the reason I did what I did, don’t you Griphook? And you know it had nothing to do with greed. But if they want to hear about deception, why don’t you tell them something about that?”

There were a few muttered exchanges between the goblins at this comment. “Oh, I see,” Harry went on, “didn’t tell them that bit, did you?” He shrugged with feigned nonchalance. “Doesn’t matter. Not really. I know why I did what I did. And I don’t regret it. But I did make a promise to you. And unlike some, I keep my word.”

He reached for Hagrid’s pouch. Yanking it from around his neck, he tore open the drawstring, and gripped the handle of the object inside. “And that’s why I brought this ...”

With a flourish, he drew out the Sword of Gryffindor, holding it high above his head, the rubies on the hilt blinking in the lights overhead. The goblins, as one, gasped at the sight.

“I don’t for a second,” Harry continued, “think this is owned by anyone but the worthy individuals who belong to Godric Gryffindor’s house. But, like I said, I made a promise. And today, I keep that promise ...”

Shifting his grip on the Sword, he pointed it toward the floor and rammed it down, hard, into the highly-polished hardwood, where it wobbled back and forth for a few moments before becoming still.

Harry watched it until it had stopped before ordering, “Now give me my gold.”


************

As the little cart hurtled left and right and right again along its track, plunging deeper into the bowels of the bank, Harry mused that his plan had gone as well as could be expected after all. Following his stunt with the Sword the goblins, after overcoming their initial shock, had begun treating him, if not with any affection, at least with a grudging respect. After thanking George and bidding him farewell, Harry had been led through a door by the wrinkled, outspoken goblin and shown to a cart for the trip to his vault. Now, as the rudderless vehicle gathered speed, the old goblin sitting in front of Harry kept stealing sidelong glances at him, prompting Harry eventually to blurt out, warily, “What?”

“You’re not like any wizard I’ve ever met, Harry Potter.”

“Yeah. Heard that before,” Harry replied tiredly.

The old goblin acted as if Harry hadn’t spoken. “You advanced the discourse between our two worlds today.”

Harry was getting a little fed up with being the hero. “I just wanted to get my money ...” he muttered.

The goblin snorted his derision. “That’s as may be, but what you did won’t be soon forgotten.”

When Harry made no reply, the goblin lapsed into silence. Even without further conversation, Harry was grateful when he saw his vault come into view.

He clambered quickly from the cart as soon as it stopped and waited impatiently for his old guide to do the same. Once the door was open, Harry hurried inside, crouched down, and began scooping handful after handful of coins into his money bag. At one point, he sat back on his heels for a few moments, trying to calculate how much he would need for the purchase he was planning. Deciding he would much rather have too much than not enough, he shoved a few more piles into the bag. It was then that he realized he had cleared a sizeable area of the floor and noticed something until then unknown to him: there were more than just bronze, silver, and gold coins within the vault, there were a couple of other objects mixed in with the money.

It made sense that he had never seen the items before, not only had he never taken as many coins as today, but he had also never spent as much time in the vault as he was now doing. He had always tried to shove one or two handfuls of coins into a bag as quickly as possible without letting the Weasleys have too long or too embarrassing a look at his personal stash of gold.

But now, with a good portion of coins in his money bag, he could see three objects: two gold goblets and a necklace. The goblets were so lavish they made Harry wonder if they’d been used at his parents’ wedding; the thought made him smile. The necklace was a silver locket on a fine chain - oval and delicately engraved with curlicues. Although dainty, it looked large enough to hold two decent-sized photographs within, one on each side. Harry realized it must have belonged to his mother. He toyed briefly with the thought of giving it to Ginny but, with a grin, he decided against it, suddenly having a much better idea.

Harry stood, heaving the small bag up after himself, and hurried back to the cart. He had an awful lot of Galleons to exchange before he could go shopping.

************

Harry peered into the third, and last, display case, not seeing what he was looking for. Actually, he wasn’t quite sure what it was he was looking for, but he was convinced he would know it when he saw it.

He was in the only Muggle jewellery store he had managed to find within walking distance of the Leaky Cauldron. It had taken him another twenty-odd minutes to get through the pub again, but that was the price he was willing to pay for finding the object he sought.

The clerk who had condescended to serve him, albeit grudgingly, cleared his throat loudly. “Anything in that one to your liking ... sir?” he murmured, the last word an afterthought, apparently annoyed that his time was being wasted in such a manner. Harry figured he knew the reason for the borderline-rude treatment: he was, after all, an eighteen year old boy dressed in old jeans and a t-shirt. He probably looked like he couldn’t afford anything in the store. It didn’t really bother him. He would get to enjoy the look on the man’s face if he did end up purchasing something.

“No. Don’t think so,” he replied. “Are you sure that’s all there is?”

“Well,” said the clerk, a smug look firmly in place, “there’s one more case...” He waved his hand vaguely towards a small door Harry hadn’t noticed when he’d entered the shop. “Our most,” he dropped his voice to a breathy whisper, “exclusive line ...”

When the clerk made no movement to lead him to it, Harry raised his eyebrows. “Well?”

“Oh. You wish to see it,” the man sneered. It wasn’t a question, and his tone was decidedly snooty. “This way, please ...” he drawled, reminding Harry infuriatingly of Lucius Malfoy. He followed the clerk through the door beside the till and paused after crossing the threshold to allow his eyes to adjust. The ‘exclusive line’ merited a small, yet rather posh, room. The overhead lights were dimmed but the large feature case in the centre was artfully lit, causing the large diamond pieces within to dazzle brilliantly. Harry’s gaze flitted briefly over the pendants and tennis bracelets, chokers and two- or three-carat rings before he saw it. Over to the left, nestled comfortably on its bed of inky-blue velvet, lay the perfect ring; well, almost perfect - the colour wasn’t quite right.

“I’d like to see that one,” he said, pointing. The clerk, if surprised at his choice of one of the more expensive rings in the store, was either too professional, or too bored to do anything but unlock the cabinet and draw out the ring in question. Harry inspected it closely, sure that this was the one. There was still something about the colour, though ...

“Can the stones be changed?” he asked abruptly.

The slightest wrinkle in the clerk’s forehead was the only indication of his disapproval. “Change the stones?” he repeated.

“That’s right. Can you change the diamonds to something else?”

“Sir, you do realize that these are the finest diamonds that“”

“Yes, I know,” Harry interrupted. “They’re lovely. But can you change them?”

“Yee-es.” The drawl was back. “If that is what you wish ... sir.”

“It is.” He pointed to one of the necklaces in the case. “Replace them with stones like that.” Harry dug into his pocket for his money bag. “How much?”

“With those stones?” The clerk’s smug look was once again firmly in place as he announced the price.

“Right, then,” Harry replied, “I’ll take it.” Slowly and deliberately, he began peeling off one fifty pound note after another from his seemingly-endless supply, counting out onto the glass display case the required amount, and thoroughly enjoying the dropped jaw and astonished expression his actions afforded him.

************

It was less than an hour later that Harry was ushered deferentially from the shop, in his hand a small bag holding the boxed ring. He marvelled grimly at what a little money could do to get a little respect from a snotty shop clerk and have a ring altered to his liking within minutes. He shook his head as a wave of distaste washed over him. The man in the store, in Harry’s opinion, was as bad as any Death Eater he’d ever met. With his single-minded greed he was obedient to a soulless, evil master “ in this case money.

Eager to leave the Muggle end of town, he hastened on down the street for a couple of blocks but stopped dead as he saw something that caught his eye in another window. Glancing up and reading the sign, he realised he was standing in front of a bookshop. With a grin, he hurried inside, an idea occurring to him.


************
Chapter 7 - Two Gifts and a Quarrel by cjbaggins
Chapter 7 - Two Gifts and a Quarrel

The thin clouds scudded across the sky, revealing the full moon which illuminated the family of rabbits lolloping contentedly through the Weasleys’ back garden. A human sound broke the stillness of the night causing the adult rabbits of the warren to freeze, quickly assessing the risk of remaining out in the open. After a few moments, evidently deciding that there was no immediate danger, they soon returned their attention to the tender young shoots in Arthur Weasley’s vegetable patch, nibbling calmly again. Drifting clouds obscured the moon once more, throwing the patch-pilfering into darkness, the only light now a soft glow coming from the old broomshed.

Hermione giggled again from within the shed. Ron, presently occupied with kissing every bare bit of skin he could find on her face and neck, was somewhat put out by the sound. He pulled away, his hands dropping to his sides, and sighed heavily.

“That’s funny now?” he muttered, obviously hurt.

Hermione reached her hand up to rub his forehead with her thumb, in an attempt to remove the annoyed crease there. “Ron ...” she whispered. “Don’t be like that. It just tickled, that’s all.” She smiled almost shyly at him as she dropped her voice even lower. “I do like it.”

Ron’s expression softened immediately. “Yeah?”

She nodded, still smiling, and brought her hand up to the back of his head to return his mouth to her neck. He promptly resumed his previous actions, deciding that he wouldn’t mind really if she giggled again.




Some time later, the two of them had taken a breather and were gazing in silence at each other. It was Hermione who first broke the quiet when she sighed and said, resignedly, “We should head back.”

“Already?” Ron replied distractedly, trying to catch her lips with his again.

Hermione smiled at the disappointment in his tone. “It’s been over an hour, Ron,” she pointed out. “The Spider Repelling Charm won’t hold much longer.”

His head snapped up. “Why didn’t you say so?” He hastened to the door, grabbing his lit wand from a nearby shelf as he did. “Come on, then,” he urged, beckoning her forward.

As they snuck back to the house, pausing along the way for a few more stolen kisses, Hermione squeezed Ron’s hand as they reached the back door of the house.

“I’ll be glad when we get to school,” she said.

Ron grinned at her. “Really? You? I’m stunned.”

She gave him a withering look though the corners of her mouth were twitching. “I meant so we don’t have to sneak around as much to be together.”

Ron’s face was quite serious when he again pulled her close to assure her that he felt the same.




“You’re not sleeping, are you?” Ron demanded as he entered his bedroom a few minutes later.

Harry, who had been feigning sleep since he’d heard footsteps outside the door, opened his eyes immediately. “I am when your mother comes calling at the door at this time of night,” he retorted pointedly. “Saves some bloody awkward questions concerning the whereabouts of her youngest son and his girlfriend.”

“She checked tonight? I could’ve sworn she was sleeping when we snuck out.”

“Not tonight, no, but yesterday and three nights before that ...”

Ron chuckled as he changed for bed.

Harry propped himself up on his elbow to glare at his friend. “Yeah. You might laugh.” He pretended to think about it. “Wonder if you’ll still be laughing when Ginny and I decide to have a go at the broomshed tomorrow night?”

Ron’s face fell abruptly. “You wouldn’t.”

Harry was suddenly preoccupied with finding and putting away the book he had been reading when he’d heard Ron at the door, and therefore didn’t reply.

Ron, apparently deciding that he would rather not pursue that particular conversation, began another as soon as he had settled between his sheets. “Do I get to see it then?”

Harry frowned. “See what?”

“The ring for Ginny. You did get one today didn’t you?”

Harry grinned in the dark. “Yeah. I did.”

“Well?”

But Harry was shaking his head. “Not yet. Not until she does.”

The two lapsed into silence until Harry thought of something else. “Speaking along the same lines ... did you ask Mr. Granger tonight?”

Ron sighed heavily. “No,” he replied glumly. “Too many ruddy relatives at their house. Hermione’s mum had gone and invited all the aunts and uncles and whatnot. Couldn’t get a word alone with the man all evening.”

Harry shook his head knowingly. “Knew you should have broached the topic back when you two were alone with them after the return from Australia ...”

Ron scoffed loudly at the suggestion. “Yes, well, I couldn’t very well go and ask Mr. Granger for his daughter’s arm“”

“Hand.”

““ hand in marriage while he couldn’t bloody well remember he had a daughter now, could I?”

“We leave for Hogwarts in two days’ time,” Harry reminded him. “What’ll you do now?”

“Well,” said Ron, thinking about it, “I could always send a letter with Pig ...” He gestured to his owl pecking quietly in her cage.

Harry sat bolt upright in bed. “You’re going to ask for Mr. Granger’s permission to marry his daughter by owl post?” Harry heard the higher pitch of his voice from the shock at Ron’s statement.

But Ron looked honestly perplexed. “Yeah. So?”





Harry slipped the ring out of its velvet supports to get a closer look. He was glad that he’d had the stones changed, the new ones were much more fitting. Looking down at it, he suddenly had half a mind to give it to Ginny sooner rather than later. After all, in the coming weeks with only the professors and a handful of students present at Hogwarts, Harry was confident he would be able to find a private moment to offer it. With a slight smile to himself, though, he recalled the image he’d had in his head for weeks of giving the ring to Ginny on Christmas morning, and decided to keep with his original plan.

He gave a start when he heard voices outside Ron’s bedroom door.

“I can’t believe you’re not packed yet, Ron,” Hermione remarked shrilly. “We leave in just over an hour! What on earth were you thinking?”

Quickly, Harry pushed the ring back into its bed of velvet, snapped close the box, tucking it away in the bottom of his trunk. It was just safely out of sight when the door opened and his friends walked in.

“What are you yelling at me for?” Ron demanded. “Harry’s not packed either!”

“Don’t be silly,” Hermione replied, “Harry’s been up here since breakfast. I’m sure he’s ... he’s ... ” Her voice trailed off as she glanced around the room and saw the piles of Muggle clothing, school robes, textbooks, and other necessities strewn about in no particular order. She sighed her exasperation. “Oh, for heaven’s sake, Harry! Not you, too?” She shook her head as she reached for her wand. “Honestly! Why you two leave things to the last minute is beyond me. Ginny and I have been ready for ages.” She strode purposefully to the centre of the room and raised her wand. Before she had directed the first load of clothes towards the open trunk, Harry stopped her.

“NO!” he bellowed, springing to his feet to clutch her wand hand in his own. “Don’t!”

“Don’t you speak to her like that!” Ron snapped, wrenching Harry’s hand away from his girlfriend’s. “What the hell’s the matter with you?”

The look on Hermione’s face chastised Harry more than anything Ron could say. His anger evaporating as quickly as it had flared, he felt oddly deflated. With the back of his eyes prickling uncomfortably, he sank down heavily onto Ron’s bed, the old springs groaning their sympathy.

“Sorry,” he muttered, avoiding his friends’ eyes.

Hermione was beside him immediately, her hand on his shoulder.

“What is it, Harry?” she said softly. “What’s wrong?”

Harry swallowed thickly before answering, miserably, “Tonks.”

“Tonks,” Hermione repeated, her brow creased in confusion. Still glaring in Harry’s direction, Ron didn’t speak.

“Yeah.” Harry sighed heavily. “Tonks. When the Order fetched me before fifth year, I hadn’t packed yet so she did it for me. When you were ...” He waved his hand vaguely towards the centre of the room. “It reminded me, I suppose. Bit stupid.”

“Don’t be silly,” Hermione replied promptly. “It’s understandable.”

Harry was shaking his head, not convinced. “I wasn’t even thinking of her, that’s what’s daft. I was“”

“That’s how it works, though, isn’t it, mate?” Ron didn’t look at them as he spoke, but kept his eyes fixed on a pile of clothes on the floor. “You go along, minding your own business, then wham it just hits you, doesn’t it? You remember and“” His voice cracked and he turned away suddenly, but Harry was sure he was wiping his eyes.

He could tell that Hermione was torn between respecting Ron’s need for privacy and her desire to offer him comfort. Before she could make up her mind, the door opened again and Ginny entered the room. She grinned when she saw the obvious lack of packing progress but her face soon grew serious when she caught sight of the others’ expressions.

“Whoa,” she remarked lightly. “Who died?”

Harry’s eyes met hers. “Everyone.”

“Oh,” said Ginny, her air escaping with a whoosh as she dropped down on the other side of him. Harry could see that her eyes were beginning to glisten with unshed tears as they had so often over the past few months. “Right.”

The others didn’t speak, simply nodding morosely at her.




Despite the delay in packing brought about by the unexpected grief, Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny managed to complete the necessary tasks in record time. Mrs. Weasley was nevertheless quite frantic when the quartet finally emerged from the upstairs bedrooms, their levitated trunks bobbing along behind like agreeable floating pets.

Only just heading up the stairs herself to see what was taking so long, she remarked as she saw them descend, “Well, it’s about time. I was just coming to see what had happened. You’ve only got twenty minutes before the Headmistress expects you.”

“We’re Apparating, Mum,” Ron pointed out. “It’s not like we’re flying or anything.”

“That’s as may be,” Mrs. Weasley countered, “but you do still have to walk from Hogsmeade to the school!”

Ron wisely kept his mouth shut and followed the others into the kitchen.

“Do you have everything?” asked Mr. Weasley, who’d stayed back from work to see them off. At the others’ murmured agreement, he added, “Of course, we can always send you anything you’ve forgotten.”

Mrs. Weasley was thrusting packets of food into their hands.

“When are we going to eat these?” Ginny demanded. “We’ll be there in less than a minute!”

“Just in case,” Mrs. Weasley replied, “just in case.”

Ron and Hermione exchanged a smile at this but didn’t speak. Harry knew the sandwiches would be gone before they’d even entered the main doors of the school.

As everyone gathered their jackets and raised the trunks again, heading for the back door, Harry remembered something.

Setting his trunk back on the floor, he hastily opened it, pulling out two wrapped packages. “I forgot these,” he said.

“Presents? Who’re those for?” Ron demanded.

Somewhat sheepish, Harry shrugged. “Your parents.”

“What?” said Mrs. Weasley, taken aback.

“Don’t be daft,” added her husband. “What do we need gifts for?”

“Just about everything,” Harry retorted with a grin, and handed him the larger of the two packages.

Mr. Weasley, fully aware of the time crunch, quickly ripped off the paper, his face bright with pleasure and anticipation. To his credit, the light in his eyes just barely faded as he saw the title of his new book: Hens and Their Care. With a somewhat stiff smile, he said, “Thank you Harry. Thank you very much.”

With barely a nod, Harry passed the other gift to Mrs. Weasley. “And this is for you,” he said, rather unnecessarily.

Mrs. Weasley had soon revealed the small object inside. She gasped when she caught sight of the silver locket Harry had found in his vault at Gringotts. “Harry,” she breathed. “It’s beautiful.”

He couldn’t stop the broad grin that split his face. “I think it was my mother’s.”

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. “Then I can’t possibly accept it, dear. You should keep it.”

Harry wasn’t sure but he thought he saw Ginny glaring at him. He responded to Mrs. Weasley before he could dwell too much on it. “No,” he said firmly. “I wanted you to have it.”

“But Harry“”

“I insist.”

She was pushing the locket at him. “I couldn’t possibly“”

“Mrs. Weasley, please, I’d like to give it to you.”

“But Harry“”

“No more buts.” Was that another glare from Ginny? “Please. After everything you’ve done for me? I want you to have it.”

Mrs. Weasley was still trying to get him to take it back. “Harry, I can’t possibly“”

“Would you just take it, Mum!” Harry blurted out. Too late, he realized what he’d said. Embarrassed, his cheeks burned and he barely noticed the grins of the others at his slip.

Mrs. Weasley, though, seemed remarkably unflustered. She immediately stopped thrusting the necklace at him. With an affectionate smile, she leaned in, kissed him on the cheek and murmured, “Thank you, dear.”

With a quick glance at his watch, Harry gestured somewhat impatiently, although discreetly, at Ron. Immediately, Ron nodded. “Wait until you see what’s inside, ladies,” he said, surreptitiously leading them away from Harry and Mr. Weasley. With a flourish, he opened the locket for them to show the pictures Harry had added of the two young couples. Ignoring the squeals of delight that greeted this demonstration, Harry quickly pulled Mr. Weasley aside.

“So you like the book?” he said, a sly grin on his face.

“Of course, Harry,” Mr. Weasley replied politely, the stiff smile still in place.

Harry shook his head at the other man’s impeccable manners. “Open it,” he whispered.

Puzzled, Mr. Weasley did.

“Haven’t you ever heard the Muggle expression ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’?” Harry asked, tapping the book with his wand. “Only when you repeat the incantation ‘fronti nulla fides’, does it reveal its true form.”

“No reliance can be placed on appearance?” Mr. Weasley remarked, translating the Latin.

Harry nodded and pointed to the book that was slowly starting to change; the photos and descriptions concerning the care of domestic hens gradually fading into diagrams and explanations on the maintenance and repair of motorbikes.

Mr. Weasley, his eyes wide, opened his mouth to speak a few times each time closing it again. Finally, beaming widely, he managed to whisper, lest his wife overhear, “Harry. This is tremendous! Where did you find it?”

“At a Muggle shop when I was in London. I figured you could use it on Sirius’ bike.”

Mr. Weasley, still beaming, was nodding as he flipped through the book. “Absolutely,” he said, his voice revealing the awe at what he was seeing. “Absolutely.”

Harry quickly tapped the book again as Mrs. Weasley approached. It immediately returned to its previous appearance.

With Mrs. Weasley bustling them all to the back garden, there was time now for only a few last thank yous and some quick hugs before trunks were gathered, wands raised, and Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny left The Burrow to start their last year at Hogwarts.




The four had soon Apparated into Hogsmeade. They were very nearly late so Harry, Hermione and Ron quickly levitated their trunks and headed up the path to the school.

After a few strides Harry noticed that Ginny hadn’t moved and was still standing where she’d Apparated. “Aren’t you coming?” he called back to her.

“No.” She glared at him before muttering, “Not with you anyway.”

Harry’s heart sank. Those dirty looks she’d been casting his way since he’d given Mrs. Weasley the locket hadn’t been his imagination after all.

He returned to her side. “What’s wrong?”

She ignored his question, asking one of her own instead. “Where’d you get the locket you gave Mum? Wasn’t it your mother’s?”

Inwardly, Harry breathed a sigh of relief, realizing she was just jealous. She had wanted the locket.

“Ginny, I was going to give it to you but“”

Blimey, Harry, exactly how petty do you think I am? It’s fine that it went to Mum. It makes perfect sense. No, what’s bothering me is that if it belonged to your mother, it had to be at Gringotts and if it was there you had to go and get it.”

Harry noticed that Ron and Hermione had returned to them. Before he could dwell too much on the fact that they were listening, Ginny was speaking again.

“Why Gringotts?” she demanded.

“It’s the only wizarding bank in“”

“Why did you go to Gringotts?” she said, her tone one of obvious exasperation.

“To get gold to pay your mum back,” he replied promptly. Too promptly. “You know that.”

Ginny peered at him shrewdly for a few moments. “Okay. What else?”

“I told you. Your Christmas present.” Realizing he wasn’t quite meeting her gaze, Harry quickly forced himself to look her in the eye. “I needed money for that didn’t I?” He was vaguely aware that Ron and Hermione’s heads were flitting from Ginny to him and back again, like some sort of bizarre tennis match.

Ginny was still watching him closely. “And the fact,” she said after a few moments, “that you’ve never so much as thought of Christmas until at least the twenty third of December...?”

When Harry didn’t respond straight away, she went on, “You’re obviously hiding something from me, you didn’t tell anyone where you were going and why, especially me, you put yourself in danger, and you went in alone to“”

“He wasn’t alone,” blurted out Ron. “George was with him.”

Harry knew immediately that that was the absolute worst thing that Ron could have said.

Ginny’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “My brothers knew, but I didn’t?” she spat out. She shook her head in disbelief. “You still see me as a child, don’t you? That’s it, isn’t it? I thought we were past all that. I thought we’d left that back in the Room of Requirement during the battle last year when you sided with my parents because you thought I couldn’t handle myself. I guess I was wrong.”

Hermione grabbed for the strap of her trunk, pulling Ron after her. Harry barely heard them as Ron argued that he wanted to stay, Hermione insisted they leave. She finally succeeded in leading him towards Hogwarts and away from the impending row.

Harry stared into Ginny’s blazing eyes, hot anger of his own bubbling to the surface. “That’s not it. I don’t think that.”

“What is it then?” Ginny demanded. “You obviously don’t trust me enough to include me in your secret plans.”

Despite his anger, Harry hesitated, thinking of the box in his trunk. It would be so easy to explain, to let her know the real reason he didn’t tell her of his trip to London that day. With a sigh, he decided against it and chose instead to simply say quietly, “There was a reason.”

“Which is?” Her hands were on her hips now.

Harry didn’t reply. He suddenly felt sick to his stomach.

“Aren’t you going to tell me?” she demanded.

Harry swallowed hard. It would be so easy... With another sigh, he merely shook his head.

Without a word, Ginny grabbed for her trunk and stormed away.

“Ginny!”

She didn’t reply.

“Ginny, come back!”

She stopped but didn’t turn around. “Save it, Potter,” she hissed at him. “You don’t think I’m important enough in your life to confide in me. Last year you used Voldemort as an excuse. But that wasn’t it at all, was it?”

She faced him finally for her parting shot. “If that’s how you want it, I guess we’re finished.” With that, she spun on her heel and hurried to catch up to Ron and Hermione.

Harry could feel a lump forming in his throat at her words as he reached for his trunk and ran after her. “Ginny, that’s not true!” The anger was rising again. “Would you just wait a minute, damn it?”

The Hex had hit him squarely in the face before he could even begin to react. His trunk falling to the ground with a heavy thud, he scrambled to direct his wand at his nose, the bat bogeys spraying from his nose obscuring the sight of Ginny’s figure disappearing around a distant bend in the path.




Neville, watching for his friends’ arrival, stood waiting for Harry and Ginny at the castle’s front steps. He greeted Ginny warmly and she set her trunk down in order to embrace him. When they’d separated she remarked, “Been a while.”

“Ages,” he agreed. “We haven’t seen each other since“” He broke off abruptly.

As the last time they had seen each other was at the funeral for Tonks and Lupin, Ginny didn’t comment, merely nodding her head curtly in agreement. Neville suddenly rubbed his hands together with mock eagerness, desperately trying to change the subject. “Another year at Hogwarts, then.” He gave her a wink. “I imagine you’ll have a better seventh year than I did.”

Ginny grinned at that but her face fell immediately when Neville asked her where Harry was. She spoke nonchalantly. “Oh, he had to clean up a bit.”

As if on cue, Harry headed into view just then, still dealing with the aftermath of Ginny’s spell.

Neville was dumbfounded. “You hexed him?”

She shrugged again. “He had it coming.” She turned toward the stairs.

Harry was dying to retort as he drew up to the two of them, but he nevertheless gripped Neville’s proffered hand, soon distracted by his friend’s question.

“How’d it go with the Sword, Harry? No problems?”

Amid Ginny’s glare of contempt and snort of disgust Harry replied, “Yes, thanks. Couldn’t have done it without it. Thanks for letting me take it.”

It was Neville’s turn to shrug. “I figure if anyone really needs it, we’ll be able to get it again. We did before.”

Harry chuckled his agreement.

Ginny snorted again. “Someone else who knew. Mum and Fleur in on it as well, I suppose?”

“Ginny. Don’t be like that.”

“I’ll be how I damn well please. You can’t tell me what to do.” Without waiting for a reply, she headed up the stairs.

Harry was getting awfully irritated. “Look, woman ...” he snarled after her.

She stopped short just inside the door. Harry reached for his wand as she rounded on him, outraged. She didn’t hex him, though. Instead, she said, with deceptive calm, “You spend entirely too much time with my brothers, Potter. I have a name. Kindly use it.” She marched through the door.

Harry, equally furious, yelled after her, his face red, “Sure thing. GINEVRA.”

She’d aimed the Hex over her shoulder before Harry could even raise his wand.

“Protego!”

Neville’s Shield Charm sprang up just in time for the spell to bounce off ineffectively.

“Cheers,” Harry muttered to his friend.

“No worries.”

Harry wasn’t too sure about that. Right now, he had plenty to worry about.




A/N: with thanks to Roxy Black for her suggestions on how to improve this chapter.
Chapter 8 - First Names, Syrup, and Trust by cjbaggins
Chapter 8 - First Names, Syrup, and Trust

Harry sat on his bed, leaning against the headboard, plucking absently at his bedspread. It was so quiet in the empty dormitory that if he cared to listen, he could have heard the gurgles of his stomach as it digested what little food he’d forced himself to choke down at dinner. Hearing a noise outside, he glanced up; the wind must have changed direction and picked up speed as the rain that had been falling steadily for three days was now striking the window with alarming force. Harry grunted to himself. The weather suited his mood: gloomy.

With a heavy sigh, he pondered whether he should drag himself out of the room and down the stairs for a walk around the school, just for something to do, despite the numerous jaunts around the castle he’d made in the last eight days. He and each of the others, since their arrival just over a week ago, had paired up daily with a teacher to inspect the rooms, hallways, staircases, and statues of the castle. The staff, before being joined on the first of September by Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Neville, Seamus, and Luna, had seen to most of the major structural repair that was required, leaving the smaller tidying and restoring tasks still to be completed. Working all day with breaks for meals, the repair crew took off the evenings after dinner. This would have been a great arrangement if Ginny had been speaking with Harry. As it were, with her still angry and wanting nothing to do with him, Harry’s anticipated pleasant month’s time at Hogwarts was anything but.

The door burst open, breaking into Harry’s thoughts, and Ron and Hermione entered, kissing enthusiastically. Harry swore under his breath and quickly swung his legs off the bed, his back to the door to avoid watching the intimate scene. “Must you,” he muttered to himself, shoving his feet into his trainers.

“Oh!” Hermione cried, her cheeks bright red as she saw him. “Harry. We didn’t realize you were“” Flustered, she extricated herself, with some difficulty, from Ron’s embrace. “We’ll just“” Still looking flustered, she turned to Ron. “Let’s go back downstairs,” she suggested.

But Harry was already halfway to the door. “Don’t bother,” he told them. “I was just leaving anyway.”

The smile Ron gave Harry didn’t quite reach the redhead’s eyes. Hermione opened her mouth to comment, but Harry was in the hall before she could do so. The less he heard from either of them lately the better, in his opinion.

As he made his way down to the (thankfully-empty) Common Room, he glumly reflected on the brief interaction with his best friends. Since his argument with Ginny, Harry had felt like he’d lost not only her friendship, but in a way, Ron and Hermione’s as well. Hermione, although valiantly attempting to keep their relationship the same as always, was nevertheless steadfastly loyal to Ginny, her closest female friend. Ron, not wanting to rile Hermione nor his sister, was rather stand-offish with Harry. The situation made encounters between the trio quite strained. Harry sighed again. He was getting to spend a great deal of time with Neville, Seamus, and Luna which was enjoyable, but he missed the closeness he was used to with his dearest friends.

Deciding against sitting in front of one of the fires in the Common Room, Harry passed through the portrait hole, ignoring the Fat Lady’s query as to where he was going. He had wanted to visit Hagrid, despite the rain, but Hermione had told him at dinner that Ginny was planning to go down to his hut this evening, and Harry didn’t want to risk running into her. He grimly added Hagrid to the list of friendships that had been altered since his row with Ginny.

As he aimlessly wandered the corridors of the castle, randomly ascending and then descending different staircases, he abruptly recalled the tiny box he still had in his trunk. He paused halfway down one flight of stairs near the headmistress’ office. The backs of his eyes had begun to burn and he turned away from the watchful gaze coming from a portrait of a pair of ladies perched side-saddle on horses. He had thought he’d shed all the tears he could over Ginny’s finishing with him. Apparently, he was mistaken.

Movement at the bottom of the staircase roused him from his inner musings, and he recognized McGonagall’s form coming up the stairs towards him.

“Good evening, Harry,” she said as she drew near.

“ ‘Evening, Prof“ Minerva,” he quickly amended. Evidently sensing he was not in a chatting mood, she continued on her way without further comment, leaving Harry alone with his thoughts once more. His first, as McGonagall’s footsteps had faded away, was that it was still not second nature to refer to the professors by their given names, even though it was something they had all insisted upon as soon as Harry and his friends had set foot back at the school. However, he mused, it wasn’t nearly as difficult with the most recent addition to staff. Harry figured it was because, unlike the other professors, he’d only met the new woman as an adult, making it more comfortable to use her first name like an equal.

He remembered the morning they’d met the new professor, a few days after he’d arrived at Hogwarts ...




The teaching staff and the handful of students present at the school were all seated together at one of the long tables, as had been the custom since September first, staff towards one end, students the other. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were sitting in a row on one side of the table, rather like they were awaiting a bus Harry always thought, but they had discovered early on that it was actually less awkward that way than if they sat grouped in pairs across from each other.

On this particular morning, Neville was making cheerful comments at regular intervals, in a valiant attempt at conversation. Unfortunately, it just so happened that on that morning right before breakfast Ron, fed up with Ginny and Harry not speaking with each other, had decided to offer his sister some brotherly advice. This had ended up going very badly indeed, with the result that not only was Ginny avoiding conversation with Harry, but with her brother now as well.

Hermione, annoyed at Ron’s interference, was also not on speaking terms with him. Poor Neville, after receiving only noncommital grunts in reply to yet another remark, clamped his mouth shut and turned his attention to his pancakes.

Luna smiled serenely at him. “It is rather difficult beginning a conversation when so many aren’t speaking to one another, isn’t it?”

Having choked on his pumpkin juice, Neville was suddenly unable to respond, and needed to be thumped on the back by Seamus. Harry almost shot a grin at Ginny at the exchange but caught himself just in time and turned to smile sympathetically at Neville instead. He was used to Luna’s honest yet embarrassing comments, but apparently Neville was still caught off guard by them.

Harry was just adding a generous amount of lemon juice and sugar to his second helping of pancakes when a tall, elegant woman, looking to be in her forties, and dressed in a brightly-coloured Muggle skirt and blouse, swept into the Great Hall. Her flawless, ebony skin shone in the sunlight from the enchanted ceiling. She had to be the new professor McGonagall had mentioned the day before, and Harry was positive, from the way she carried herself with such self-assurance, that she would possess the same competence with classroom management that Snape had had, and for which McGonagall was still known.

“Minerva, where are you hiding?” she called to McGonagall, and her strong, friendly voice rang through the Hall. “There you are!” she cried as she caught sight of the headmistress. “Good to see you again!”

As a delighted McGonagall got up to greet the new arrival, the students’ excited whispers buzzed along the table. Harry could detect what he thought was a Jamaican accent in the new woman’s voice, but was reminded strongly of Londoners he knew by some of the endings of her words. At the same time, there was something else, something he couldn’t quite put his finger on.

“I wonder where she’s from?” murmured Luna, voicing Harry’s own question.

Hermione smiled smugly. “She’s from America.”

But the new professor had stopped just behind her and had heard her comment. Releasing McGonagall from the warm embrace they’d shared, the newcomer bent closer and informed Hermione, “Actually, I’ve just come from Canada,” before McGonagall led her to the teachers’ end of the table.

“I always thought that was the same,” Luna said, to no one in particular.

Seamus was shaking his head. “No way. Me mum has some Canadian friends. Calling them American is as bad as calling me English!”

Ron flashed Harry a slight grin before remarking, “That bad, huh?” It was obvious he was trying to keep a straight face at the serious tone that Seamus had used.

Before anyone else could comment, McGonagall was addressing them all. “It is with great pleasure that I introduce Professor Meldrum Oblongata who has graciously agreed to fill the vacant Muggle Studies position. Although born of magical parents, she has a Muggle grandmother and has worked extensively with Muggles throughout her career. An exemplary former student and a prestigious individual, she will undoubtedly bring much to Hogwarts.”

Personal introductions were made, and hands shook around the table. Oblongata had gripped Harry’s hand tightly and insisted that he needed no introduction, adding that she was very pleased to meet him. As he resumed his seat, Harry noticed that Hermione was frowning slightly, apparently trying to remember something as she was muttering to herself, “Oblongata ... Oblongata ...”

She suddenly called up the table, “Wait a minute. You were the witch who was instrumental last year in organizing Muggles in the Maritime Provinces of Canada to stand against Voldemort’s followers, weren’t you?” Momentarily forgetting she wasn’t speaking with him, she turned to Ron. “Don’t you remember? We heard a special on the wireless about her after we came back from Australia.” Ron stared at her blankly and, with a little exasperated sigh, she returned her gaze to the new professor. “Some in the Wizarding world were angered that you’d broken the Statute of Secrecy, but most hail you as a hero.”

Oblongata had been watching Hermione closely throughout these comments. She gave the younger woman a slight smile now. “I can see why Minerva speaks so highly of you,” she murmured before confirming, “that’s right. I was loathe to contravene the Statute, but I couldn’t stand aside and watch the slaughter of innocent people. I just couldn’t,” she added firmly.

“That reminds me,” McGonagall said after that had sunk in, “Meldrum is to be our new Head of Gryffindor House.”

Having known that the new headmistress’ duties would most likely prevent her from continuing as Gryffindor Head, Harry had been wondering who would take it on. Although a little saddened at the thought that McGonagall would no longer fill the role, from what he had heard so far, Oblongata certainly seemed well-suited to the name of Gryffindor.




Trotting up another staircase and along a corridor, Harry smiled slightly to himself as he remembered that morning. Oblongata had also seemed to be a woman after Ron’s own heart when she’d taken a seat and hastily pulled large platters of food towards herself. She had been disappointed about the toppings for the pancakes, though, Harry recalled, and amid delighted smirks of those present, had actually Summoned from her luggage a large bottle of pure maple syrup she’d gotten from Quebec, Canada. Harry was sure that Oblongata’s addition to the staff would not be dull!




“This corridor’s back to normal. Shall we go on up to check the next one?” Ron indicated the staircase ahead.

Lost in thought, Harry didn’t answer.

Ron snapped his fingers in front of his friend’s face. “Oi! Snap out of it, would you?” he said, exasperated.

“What?” It took Harry a moment or two to realize that he must have been daydreaming. “Sorry. What did you say?”

Ron sighed heavily and repeated his suggestion.

Harry shrugged morosely. “May as well ...”

The two of them were in the east wing of the castle, fourth floor, checking for areas that still needed repair. Harry had been reluctant at first to be paired with Ron, worried that it would be too tense an atmosphere. Away from Ginny and Hermione, however, Ron acted thankfully very much like his old self.

“Come off it, Harry,” Ron complained as they headed up the stairs together. “You’re about as much fun as getting splinched. I think I’ll go back to working with McGonagall - she’s more laughs!”

“Easy for you to say!” Harry retorted indignantly, finally broaching the subject they’d been ignoring all morning. “Your girlfriend’s still talking with you!”

“Yeah. I know,” Ron agreed sadly. Then, trying to be more upbeat, he added brightly, “But it’s only been a week.”

Harry stopped in mid-step to glare at him. “Nine days, two hours, thirty-three minutes.”

Ron grimaced sympathetically at him, but didn’t reply, and they continued up the rest of the flight in silence. Before they’d reached the fifth floor, they heard a voice floating down to them from above. The new Muggle Studies teacher, Professor Oblongata, was talking.

““ the devil did a swamp of all things get in the castle?” she bellowed. “What happened during that battle last year?”

Ron and Harry didn’t quite catch Neville’s quieter reply. They gained the top of the flight of stairs just in time to see Oblongata raising her wand hand. “No matter,” she remarked briskly. “Soon put it right.”

“No, you mustn’t!” squeaked Flitwick, before Ron, Harry, or Neville could react. The Charms teacher was sprinting down the corridor from the opposite direction, Ginny right behind, their pounding footfalls echoing loudly on the stone floor.

Oblongata whirled to face her colleague, puzzled. “Why ever not?” she demanded. “Our instructions from the headmistress were clear. We’re to“”

Harry never heard Flitwick’s explanation to Oblongata; he’d seen the pain in Ginny’s eyes as she gazed at the magical swamp her brothers had created, had seen her nose redden, her face crumple.

Although both Ron and Neville had started towards Ginny, Harry got to her first. Not caring that they were surrounded by others, not caring that she hadn’t spoken to him, had hardly looked at him, in over a week, he closed the gap between them with two long strides and enveloped her in his arms.

Clinging to him, she wept.

Harry marvelled at how wonderful, how absolutely perfect the simple act of holding her again could feel. After just a short time, his own cheeks were wet, but whether from Ginny’s tears or his own he didn’t know.

It was some moments later that someone, Neville perhaps, nervously cleared his throat. Harry felt Ron’s hand briefly clasp his shoulder before Oblongata, Neville, Ron, and Flitwick all drifted discreetly away, leaving Harry and Ginny alone.

Ginny eventually calmed down and the two of them broke apart, somewhat sheepishly. She let out a self-conscious laugh, trying to mop her face with her hands.

“You must think me a blubbering twit,” she remarked, trying for a light tone.

Harry passed her a crumpled tissue he found in his pocket. “Hardly.”

She blew her nose, her expression clearly telling him she wasn’t convinced. He realized with a jolt that he hadn’t seen her cry like that for years, since his second year to be exact, when he’d killed the Basilisk and saved her from Tom Riddle. She hadn’t even broken down at Fred’s funeral, but instead had stared rather stoically ahead throughout the whole ordeal. He wondered suddenly if he’d had anything to do with that, having told her long ago that he liked that she wasn’t the weepy type.

“You know,” he said softly, “you don’t have to hold it in with me.”

She met his gaze steadily but didn’t reply. After a few moments, she changed the subject, tucking the tissue into her own pocket. “Look, Harry, I’m ... I’m really sorry. I’ve been just horrible to you lately.”

He managed a lopsided smile at her words. “I’m just glad that you’re speaking with me again.”

“And I need to,” she said, motioning to the wooden bench against the wall. They sat down together. There, amid the excruciatingly-painful reminder of the highest price they’d paid in the Hogwarts’ battle, they talked.

For the first time, Ginny told Harry how difficult it had been growing up the youngest of seven, and the only girl to boot; how she constantly struggled to prove herself and her strength, both physical and inner. She admitted that the way Harry always treated her as an equal was one of the things she loved about him, and had made her feel all the more hurt and resentment when he’d sided with her parents in the Room of Requirement during the Battle.

Her eyes still glistening with leftover tears, she said quietly, “You made me feel like my mother always does, Harry, like a child. Like I’d “” Her voice dropped even lower. ““ like I’d never be good enough for you.”

“Ginny. I never meant ...” Harry swallowed hard, reluctant to speak, but knowing full well what he needed to tell her.

“Thinking you were a child was the furthest thing from my mind that day.”

“Then why on earth did you“”

“I needed you safe. I needed to be able to come back to you when it was all over. All I could think of was if I survived, and you didn’t“” His voice cracked and he reached for her hand, needing to touch her again.

“I couldn’t lose you, Ginny. I couldn’t lose someone else ... someone else I love.”

Her eyes shining again, she threw her arms around him once more.

He squeezed her tightly, wondering why he’d never had the courage to tell her that before. She pulled away too soon.

“You were keeping something from me, though, weren’t you?”

Harry sighed heavily. They were back to that already. Reluctantly, he nodded, not about to destroy, by lying, what emotional intimacy they’d just created.

Ginny’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly. “Are you going to tell me what it was?”

Harry met her gaze and pronounced, earnestly, “I love you.”

Ginny laughed out loud at his attempt to change the subject. “Nice try, Potter.”

He sighed again. “I was keeping something from you,” he admitted. “And I will tell you. Soon. Just not yet.”

Ginny peered at him closely for a full half minute. It was her turn to sigh. Finally, with a last glance at the swamp, she said, “Okay.

“I trust you.”
End Notes:
For those interested in such things as the meaning of names:
The word ‘oblongata’ refers to a part of the brain stem which controls blood pressure and heart rate. I work as an educational assistant, and while attempting to come up with a name for the new professor, I was quizzing grade five students on the parts of the nervous system. I actually took out my pen and pad of paper from my purse when we got to that word. It just seemed so perfect! Hope you like it. ‘Meldrum’ is a Scottish surname, but seemed to be to fit the bill as a Rowling-esque given name, in keeping with such gems as Albus, Pomona, Severus, and Minerva!
Chapter 9 - Revelations by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
Many thanks to my dh who gave me the suggestion for Meldrum's comment about the Cannons. And thank you to my dd for her continuing assistance with editing and just plain putting up with my rambling on about this fic. Love you!


Molly couldn’t sleep. Tossing and turning fitfully, she tried to find a comfortable position. It didn’t work.

Fed up with the intermittent shifting of the mattress, Arthur turned to her.

“What is it, dear?” he asked. “Why can’t you sleep?”

Lying on her back, staring at the darkness above her, she exhaled forcibly. “It’s the children,” she confessed.

Arthur wisely refrained from laughing. Trust his wife to refer still to their adult offspring as ‘children’.

“What about them?” he asked, trying hard not to sound belligerent. “Charlie’s just sent an owl, and we had a good dinner with Bill and Fleur tonight. Didn’t you enjoy chatting with Fleur about her pregnancy?”

“Well, yes ...” Molly admitted. “And I am pleased that her symptoms have lessened so much. It’s just ...” She sighed.

“Out with it, luv,” Arthur prodded. “I do have to get up in the “”

“I think he’s the only one who’ll ever settle down,” Molly suddenly blurted out. “Bill, I mean. Charlie’s just finished with his girlfriend. Again,” she added bitterly. “They never seem to last past a few months.”

Arthur opened his mouth to respond, but now that Molly was talking, she wasn’t ready to stop yet. “Percy’s change of heart hasn’t resulted in any new girlfriends and George ... My poor little George ...”

Again, Arthur bit back a laugh at the image of ‘little’ George towering over his mother, but Molly wasn’t finished. “He’s only got his work in his life since Fred “” She broke off abruptly and Arthur, his throat suddenly tight, patted her shoulder.

He cleared his throat. “I know, dear,” he murmured. “It’ll work out, though, I’m sure of it. Percy’s met those new girls at the Ministry. Something might come of that. And Charlie’s a good bloke, I reckon it’s just his line of work that frightens off the young women. It’s simply a matter of finding one who isn’t fussed by it. As for George ... well, he’s always been rather ...” He searched for the right word, “ ... enthusiastic about dating. I’m sure, as soon as his feelings are less ... raw, he’ll start seeing someone. Besides, that’s only the older lads ...” He couldn’t help grinning in the dark. It wasn’t often he had information his wife didn’t; he was enjoying it.

Molly immediately turned on her side to face him. “You know something,” she accused. “Tell me what it is,” she demanded, and Arthur could hear the mixture of anxiety and excitement in her voice.

“Well,” he began, “I saw Ron writing a letter before he left for school.”

“A letter? Ron was?”

Arthur nodded. “To Mr. Granger. From what I gathered, he was seeking permission from Hermione’s parents “”

“To marry Hermione?” Molly cut in, slightly breathless. “But that’s wonderful! She’s such a lovely girl. Have they mentioned a date at all? What did he say?”

“He didn’t. Not really,” Arthur admitted. “Don’t think he’s got quite that far, dear. He plans to ask her only at Christmas.”

He strove to keep the smugness out of his tone as he added, “They’ll probably want to plan things with Harry and Ginny anyway.”

“What did you say?” Molly sat straight up in the bed. “You don’t mean “”

Arthur nodded, and pushed himself into a sitting position as well, to avoid straining his neck if he looked up at her. “Harry asked me what I thought about “”

“Marrying my baby?” Molly practically shrieked.

“Now, Molly ...” Arthur chided.

“Don’t start,” she said. ‘I know she’s of age now, but to me she’ll always be my baby! And she’s so young. Too young to marry!”

“Not that much younger than we were, dear,” Arthur reminded her quietly.

“We weren’t still at school, though!” Molly pointed out, not yet ready to give in. “Did you at least mention that to “”

“How daft do you think me? I spoke to the boy about that and he assured me no wedding would take place until after they’d both finished at Hogwarts.” He peered at her closely. “That’s all it is though, I hope. You’re not against Harry as a son-in-law are you?”

“Don’t be silly, Arthur. Of course not. You know full well I love the boy like one of my own already. It’s just all so sudden. They’re growing up so fast.”

Bemused, Arthur shook his head. “A minute ago you were upset at the thought of them not growing up and settling down!”

He marvelled that Molly actually looked at a loss for a full six seconds before she shot back, “And why didn’t you tell me this earlier? You’ve known for at least two weeks that our two youngest will be engaged and you didn’t let me know straight off?”

Arthur tread carefully; he still wanted to be able to sleep tonight. “Well, dear,” he began, in what he hoped was a soothing voice, “they didn’t really want anyone to know, I don’t think. I just happened to go to Ron’s room as he was writing. And Harry sought me out. A Muggle tradition of some sort.” He had a flash of inspiration. “He’d have known how much Ginny would want to tell you once he’s asked her ...”

She looked mollified at this and Arthur leaned in to give her a kiss, hoping to change the subject. “It’s rather late, let’s lay back down now,” he suggested. When they had, he murmured, “And Mollywobbles ...” He whispered something in her ear that made her giggle.

“You’re a charmer, you are,” she told him, but she was smiling before she pulled him closer.




Harry leapt from his bed early, despite a very late end to the previous day. Now that he and Ginny had made it up, he didn’t want to waste any of the time he could spend with her.

Washed and dressed in record time, he bounded down the stairs from the dormitory to find Ginny already waiting for him in the common room, broad grin splitting her face.

Luna (who had been sharing one of the female Gryffindor dormitories with Ginny and Hermione so as not to be alone) gave him a wave from one of the chairs. She smiled at the two of them kissing good morning.

“Things should be much more comfortable around the castle now that you two are together again,” she observed to no one in particular.

Harry and Ginny shared a grin but didn’t reply; sometimes it was just easier to let her remarks go by without comment.

They left Gryffindor tower hand in hand and headed down to the ground level of the castle. As it was much too early for breakfast to be served, they directed their feet towards the main doors, only to find the way blocked by a gambolling Peeves. The poltergeist was sitting cross-legged in mid-air, his back to them, flipping over and over as he sang loudly a decidedly off-colour song. Sensing Harry and Ginny’s approach, he gleefully informed them, “Not going this way today, ickle students!”

Ginny sighed and rolled her eyes, but Harry simply said firmly, “Move aside, please, Peeves.”

The prankster immediately stopped spinning and swooped to face them, bobbing in place. “Wee Potter!” he cried. He glanced at Ginny. “And his squeeze!” Peeves brought his hands together in a rather suggestive gesture before cackling madly at his own rapier wit. But with another swoop, and a single rude noise, he was gone: soaring down the right-most passage off the Entrance Hall, starting up his song again.

Ginny stared after him for a few moments before turning to Harry in disbelief. “Well, he must think very highly of you!”

Harry nodded. “That was downright respectful coming from him.” He took her hand again and indicated the doors. “Shall we?”

They strolled companionably through them and on into the grounds, intending to return shortly in time to eat with the others. When they did finally race each other to the Great Hall, though, pink-cheeked and breathless, the majority of teachers and students had already eaten and left to begin the day’s repair work. Ron, Hermione, Seamus, and Professor Oblongata were the only ones left at the long table.

“Where were you two?” Ron demanded in between forkfuls of scrambled eggs.

“We just went for a walk,” Ginny informed him indignantly, though her cheeks had reddened further.

Ron noticed. “A likely story,” he said, glaring at them both as they sat and pulled plates towards themselves.

“Honestly, Ron!” Hermione cried, coming to their rescue. “Is there no pleasing you? You were upset when they weren’t together, and now that they are again, you’re still not happy.” She passed him the bacon, hoping to distract him.

He took it from her grudgingly and didn’t say anything more, though they could hear him muttering to himself.

Fortunately, Professor Oblongata slid down the bench just then and pointed at Hermione’s Daily Prophet which was folded at the younger witch’s place. “Are you finished with that?” Oblongata asked. “I wanted to check the standings.”

Ron’s head snapped up. “You follow Quidditch?” he asked, somewhat surprised. With the exception of Dumbledore, none of the professors had ever shown the slightest interest in the game outside of the House teams.

Oblongata shrugged. “Like to keep up,” she replied.

“What’s your team?” Ron wanted to know.

The professor smiled. “My Canadian friends and colleagues would like my answer to include nothing but the Moosejaw Meteorites,” she said, “but as a woman, I’ve always admired the Harpies. The way those women can fly ...”

Ginny nodded her approval, but Ron didn’t look impressed. “Not a Cannons fan, then?” he asked, distaste obvious in his tone.

Harry could tell Oblongata strove to keep her face serious as she remarked, “Underdog supporter, eh?” She nodded gravely. “They do train hard. I’ll give them that.” Oblongata caught Harry’s eye and looked away quickly. Harry’s face split into a grin but Ron hadn’t noticed and seemed appeased by the professor’s comments.

Oblongata turned back to Ron as a thought occurred to her. “Of course, spending so much time in Canada, hockey’s more my game now, anyway.”

“Hockey?” Seamus repeated. “That anything like football? If so, Dean’s mad about the game. He’ll talk your ear off about it once he’s here ...”

But Oblongata was shaking her head. “Nothing like soccer, I’m afraid,” she said. “Well, actually,” she added as she reconsidered, “the goals bear a passing resemblance ... No, picture field hockey with much more padding on the participants and played on ice.” She glanced at her audience to gauge their understanding: Ron and Ginny looked completely lost, but Harry, Hermione, and Seamus were nodding vaguely, having at least heard of field hockey.

“What team do you follow for that game, then?” Ron asked. Harry suspected that he was less interested in the answer than in keeping the professor talking to put off working as long as possible. A smirk danced at Oblongata’s lips, and Harry knew that she suspected the same thing. He felt he was really beginning to like this new professor.

Despite her suspicions, she replied, “I’ve always loved the Montreal Canadiens. They’re a great team. If you promise not to tell any Canadian wizards, though,” she added conspiratorially, her voice lowered, “I also support the Pittsburgh Penguins.” Although no one seemed about to question her remark, she quickly went on, “After all, Crosby is from Nova Scotia.” She looked at them all again and realized that they were staring at her blankly. With a smile she apologised and started to tidy up Hermione’s paper.

Harry just managed to catch Ron’s kick to Hermione under the table. She frowned at him and shook her head but he gestured impatiently and with a sigh, Hermione addressed the professor.

“Where were you from, originally, Meldrum? I mean Mel,” Hermione amended quickly.

Oblongata smiled at the correction. “I was born in Jamaica in a town about fifty kilometres from Kingston.”

“Fifty kilometres? How far’s that again?” Ron asked.

“About thirty miles,” Hermione told him.

“That’s right,”Oblongata agreed. “Lived there for just over ten years and we loved it, but Dad had gone to Hogwarts and my parents wanted me to as well. As Jamaica to England is a bit of a commute for school holidays, though, we immigrated to London just a few months before my eleventh birthday. I got a job in London, at the Ministry, right after I finished school.”

“What did you do?” Ginny asked.

“I’m afraid I can’t really discuss that,” replied Oblongata, reluctantly. “Due to the nature of my duties, it’s still strictly ‘need to know’. I can tell you, though, that one aspect of my job I thoroughly enjoyed was when I acted as liaison between Muggles and Wizards.”

Harry had listened without comment and was about to ask a question, but Ron beat him to it.

“If you were enjoying it so much here,” he said, “why’d you end up in Canada?”

Oblongata didn’t answer right away, and they could see that her eyes had become shiny with tears. She straightened a fork that wasn’t out of place before answering.

“A, uh, friend of mine,” she told them, “was killed. By Death Eaters. I couldn’t face working there any more without him. When I heard of an opening overseas, I jumped at the chance.”

“I’m so sorry,” murmured Hermione, and Ron nodded vigourously, perhaps embarrassed that he had been the one to elicit the information.

“Thank you,” Oblongata replied. “It was a long time ago.” She placed her palms flat on the top of the table to push herself into a standing position. “But now, I think we’ve let Ron here stall long enough. It really is time to get to work.”

As Hermione elbowed Ron, presumably for encouraging her part in the proceedings, Ginny quickly stood as well. “I’m with you,” she said to Oblongata.

Volunteering to be stuck with the professor?” Oblongata said. “Are you joking?”

Ginny grinned. “Is a bit odd, isn’t it?” she agreed. “But seriously, the chance to spend the day with another Harpies’ supporter? I’d be mad not to take the opportunity!”




That evening after dinner, the handful of students present at the school remained in the Great Hall with the faculty as Hagrid regaled them all with his half brother’s latest escapades.

“So then,” he was saying, “Grawpy, bless ‘im, had me tied up against the tree when “”

He broke off abruptly as Nearly Headless Nick swooped down the table. Nodding to the Gryffindor students, his head wobbling dangerously within its cuff, he soared to a spot immediately before Professor McGonagall.

“Sorry to disturb, Headmistress,” he intoned, formally.

“Not at all, Sir Nicholas,” she replied politely, looking if anything slightly relieved at the interruption. “What is it?”

He executed a tiny bow, one hand on the top of his head to prevent it flopping, before continuing. “I have another message from the Bloody Baron, madam,” he informed her.

“I’m surprised at you, Sir Nicholas,” McGonagall chided. “Doing the Baron’s bidding in this manner.”

Nearly Headless Nick grimaced his displeasure. “I know, Professor,” he said mournfully, his formal demeanour dropped, “the Bloody Baron did say that he would be putting in a good word with the Headless Hunt in payment for my ... ah ...services, though.”

“What is the message, then, Sir Nick?” McGonagall asked, looking as if she would rather not hear the answer.

Nearly Headless Nick pulled himself up to his full height and with his formal tone back, reported, “The Bloody Baron is furious at the lack of progress being made in repairing the dungeons and demands to know why both the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw towers have been completed while the lower levels have yet to be begun.”

McGonagall let out a tiny, though exasperated, sigh at the news. “Kindly inform the Baron,” she said, “that his opinion on the order in which we are proceeding with the repairs has already been duly noted and remind him, again, that these restorations must continue from top down. The laws governing magical enhancements and mending can not be altered to allow for his wishes in the matter!”

Sir Nicholas beamed at her response but cleared his throat and grew sombre again as he replied, “Very good, madam. I will be sure to pass on your message,” before swooping out of the Hall again.

There was silence for but a few seconds before Hagrid spoke again, clapping his enormous hands onto his tree-limb size thighs.

“As I were saying ...” he said, pointedly, and the others slowly slid their gazes back to him. “Grawpy don’t know his own strength, see, an’ he had meself up by the tree there, and when he pulled the rope taut, like “ ” He broke off abruptly again, his eyes fixed on the doors into the Entrance Hall. “Well, look what yeh’ve got here ...”

The others swivelled immediately to see what had captured his attention this time. Standing just inside the doors were three people: Hannah Abbott, Ernie MacMillan, and Dean Thomas. Smiling, they waved at the assembled group. Their words of greeting were lost as Seamus, with a yell, led the tremendous stampede of students and staff who rushed to welcome them.

What followed were many loud, happy moments as good friends reunited with one another. It was just as the din had started to die down, though, that an audible gasp was heard. Dean was standing near to Professor Oblongata and it was she that had made the sound, her hand pressed to her lips.

“Sorry?” Dean said, puzzled, and more than a little taken aback at her reaction.

Oblongata shook her head, lowering her hand to shake his. “Meldrum Oblongata,” she introduced herself. “And it is I who must apologise,” she went on. “I was caught by surprise. Minerva had told me“” She stopped. “I just had no idea how much you looked like your father.”

Dean smirked. “Like Jack Thomas? Hardly. He adopted me when I was“”

But Oblongata was shaking her head again. “No. Your rea“ Your biological father.”

Dean stared at her, stunned. Everyone else had stopped talking, but Harry was sure Dean hadn’t noticed.

After a few moments, Dean asked, “You knew him?”

“Yes, we worked together at the Ministry. I miss him terribl“”

“Wait a minute. Worked? Miss him? Is he dead?”

Oblongata didn’t reply immediately. She swallowed hard before nodding. “Yes. He was killed when“”

“Killed?” Dean’s face was implacable. “Good. Bastard finally got what he had coming. Worthless piece of “”

Don’t!” Her jaw set, Oblongata’s dark eyes were steel and they bore into Dean’s. Harry had never seen the professor angry. With what seemed a enormous effort, she took a deep breath and exhaled forcibly. “There’s a lot you don’t know, Dean,” she said, and it was obvious she strove for a calm tone. “And I’ll tell you everything. But I will not,” she added, and her voice was taut again, “allow you to speak ill of your father. He was a good man.”

“Yeah. Good for nothing,” Dean retorted.

“Dean“”

“Go to hell!” he spat out. Spinning on his heel, he strode from the room without another word.

In the silence that followed, Oblongata’s quiet, “Damn,” was easily heard. No one else spoke. The stricken looks on everyone’s faces told Harry they were as astonished and embarrassed as he at the situation. After many long awkward moments, Seamus started for the door after his friend.

With a resigned sigh, Oblongata called out, “No. Wait.” She reached him before he could go out the door. “I’ll go. I have to.” She grimaced apologetically at the young man, who nodded his understanding.

With a last glance at the others in the room, Professor Oblongata left.




That evening, the Gryffindors sat quietly in the common room, waiting for Dean to reappear, anxious to learn what had transpired between him and Oblongata. They were bored but unable to settle to anything. Ron and Harry had tried starting a game of chess, and Hermione and Ginny a round of exploding snap, but they had all given up when they couldn’t concentrate. Likewise, any conversations that were begun, soon dissolved into silence. The minutes ticked by, turning into hours and still there was no sign of their fellow Gryffindor. It wasn’t until the young men had said goodnight to Ginny and Hermione and made their way to their dormitory, though, that Dean returned.

Ron, Harry, Neville, and Seamus had changed into pajamas and were all grouped around Seamus’ bed, speculating whether Dean had finally allowed Oblongata to speak with him, when the door opened and Dean himself walked in. His expression indecipherable, he strode to his bed and flopped on top of it without a word to anyone. The others froze, noting that he hadn’t closed his curtains, but still unsure if they should initiate conversation with him.

Finally, Neville once again proved himself worthy of his House when he turned to his friend. “All right, Dean?”

Without looking at Neville, he said, “Yeah.” With a sigh, he added, “Or I will be, I s’pose.”

“Did, uh, Oblongata know your dad, then?” Ron asked.

Staring straight up at the ceiling, Dean nodded. “And he was a wizard. Damn fine one, too, according to Mel.”

He paused so long after this that the others thought he wouldn’t continue, but eventually he went on. Meeting their eyes finally, he told them, “It’s why he left Mum and me: Voldemort’s followers were onto him. They wanted him to join them. When he refused, the Death Eaters killed him.”

Dean got off his bed and made his way to the window, his back to the others who exchanged glances at this startling news.

“Mel said he never stopped loving us, though,” Dean added, quietly.

“How’d she know that?” Seamus demanded.

“Since the day he left, he kept track of us,” Dean explained, “made sure we were all right, that the Death Eaters never found us. Besides, Mel admitted she was mad for him herself but he always considered her nothing more than a friend, never let anything more than that develop between them. He said he only ever loved one woman his whole life.”

Dean faced them again and they could see his eyes were shining in the candlelight. “Mum,” he clarified, his voice no more than a whisper. He looked absolutely miserable.

“Isn’t that a good thing, mate?” Ron asked, surprised at his friend’s glum expression.

“Well, yeah. Course it is,” Dean replied, sounding as if it was anything but. ‘It’s just “” He sighed heavily. “All my life I’ve thought my real father was the worst kind of scum, a worthless, pathetic sod. And now “” He stopped abruptly, apparently not able to put it into words.

Harry, remembering full well how he’d felt when he’d learnt of Snape’s true story, finished the thought for him: “And now you know, you feel a right git.”

Dean didn’t reply, but nodded silently, and Harry could tell he was grateful to be understood.
End Notes:
While Oblongata is my own invention, the story she brings to Hogwarts about Dean isn’t. Dean Thomas’ background story and the demise of his birth father are Ms Rowling’s own ideas, not mine. I found them on the author’s official website. She has stated that she had originally planned a larger role in the books for Dean, but that Neville’s story took over and she went with his growth instead of Dean’s. While I love Neville and his character arc, I felt it was time we heard Dean’s story as well. I hope you feel I have done it some justice.
Chapter 10 - Birthdays, Deaths, and Tournaments by cjbaggins
Harry surfaced, wiping his sopping hair from his eyes. There was no sign of Ginny and he spun in the water, looking for her. Just when panic had begun to creep into his gut, something brushed against Harry’s legs. Thoughts of the Giant Squid flitted through his mind before Ginny bobbed out of the water immediately in front of him, and he realized that it was her limbs, and not squid tentacles, that were entwined with his legs. She grinned cheekily at him before using those limbs to pull him to her.

“Harry! Harry!” Ron cried excitedly into his ear, effectively bringing the rather enjoyable dream to an abrupt end. “Get up, mate. It’s the nineteenth!”

Vaguely wondering at Ron’s uncanny knack for disturbing his dreams of Ginny, Harry snatched his glasses from the bedside table and shoved them onto his face. “So?” he retorted testily. He noted that his friend, rather uncharacteristically, was already dressed.

“The nineteenth,” Ron repeated. Hermione’s birthday.”

Harry swore under his breath.

“Forgot, did you?” Ron deduced, cheerfully. “No worries. You can go in with me, if you like.”

Harry paused as he got out of bed. “Why? What’d you get her?” he asked, somewhat warily.

Ron beamed at him and produced a large bag from behind his back. “Rucksack.”

He looked so pleased with himself that Harry wasn’t sure how to break it to him that women usually preferred something more personal for gifts. He would have thought that there would be a large chapter devoted to that topic in Twelve Failsafe Ways to Charm Witches. Before he could find the right words, though, Ron was speaking again.

Gesturing to the bag, he said, “I used that expansion thing she showed us so she can cram whatever she wants into it, but I reinforced the bottom so it won’t burst on her all the time like her old ones did. Plus,” he added, not without some pride, “I added a Lightening Charm, so it won’t strain her back.”

“That’s thoughtful,” Harry had to admit, not able to keep the surprised note out of his tone.

Luckily, Ron didn’t notice, but continued to beam at him. “Well, come on,” he urged, “help me to wrap it. I want to get down to the Great Hall.”



The girls weren’t in the Great Hall, though. Descending the marble staircase, Ron and Harry saw them standing together in the Entrance Hall, their backs to the steps.

“Happy birthday, Hermione!” Ron called before he’d reached her.

Harry was about to add his own wishes for a good day as well, but the girls turned first. They both looked miserable, their eyes bloodshot, Hermione with tears streaming down her face. She saw her boyfriend and sobbed, “Oh, Ron,” as she flung herself into his arms. “It’s awful,” she wailed into his neck. He held her tightly, the gift forgotten on the floor beside him.

Completely bewildered, Harry turned to Ginny who answered his unspoken question. “It’s Fleur,” she said, tears shining in her eyes as well. “She’s lost the baby. Miscarried yesterday.”

“Oh,” Harry said, not sure what else to say. Reaching an arm around Ginny, he added, “You okay?”

She nodded. “Mum’s really cut up, though. She sent an owl first thing this morning. She’d been so happy at the thought of a new baby in the family, but now ...” Ginny’s voice caught in her throat. “But now, it’s just another death ...”

Harry merely squeezed her shoulder, not having anything to say that wouldn’t sound trite. She slipped her arm around his waist and rested her head on his shoulder and he knew that she was unable to speak as well.

After a few minutes, feeling Ginny slacken her hold on him, Harry pulled away slightly, about to suggest that they should join the others for breakfast. McGonagall swept by them just then, though, beaming and holding a few pieces of parchment.

“Come!” she cried, heading towards the Great Hall. “I have news!”

Confused, but certainly intrigued, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Harry followed her, Hermione wiping her eyes as she went.

They took seats together in their usual spots, Ron tucking the gift for Hermione under the table for later, and turned to the headmistress. Her expression, atypically, was one of great excitement. Before she could start, Professor Oblongata and Dean entered the Great Hall. Deep in conversation, they each raised a hand in greeting, before taking seats at the table themselves. Harry reflected that the new professor and Dean had been almost inseparable since Dean’s arrival the week before, choosing to work only with each other. Harry was pleased for his friend, glad that he was finally able to learn of his birth father and find the peace he had always lacked regarding it all.

McGonagall was waving the parchment in her hand. “I’ve just received a letter,” she announced. “From Mister and Missus Diggory.”

Harry sat up a little straighter. He wasn’t the only one.

“Years ago,” the headmistress went on, “Cedric’s parents put aside some gold for their son’s future. After his untimely passing, they invested that money. In the four years since the boy’s tragic death, his parents have made a substantial amount of gold and now wish to use it to honour Cedric’s memory in some way.” She paused to draw breath and Harry could tell that the others were all as eager as he to hear what the Diggorys had planned. Would they wish a plaque placed at Hogwarts? Some sort of statue? Perhaps a scholarship for underprivileged students?

“They’ve decided,” McGonagall continued, “after consultation with the Department of Magical Games and Sports, to establish a fund to continue the tradition of the Triwizard Tournament “ a safer, more closely-regulated version “ to be re-Christened the ‘Cedric Diggory Memorial Inter-School Tournament’!”

There were a number of gasps and exclamations at the news. Whatever the staff and students had been expecting to hear, this wasn’t it.

“A Triwizard Tournament?” Ginny repeated, stunned.

“After what happened to Cedric?” Ron put in.

The headmistress nodded. “His parents mentioned that they know how pleased and proud Cedric had been to represent Hogwarts as one of its champions. They believe that it would be a fitting tribute to offer the same opportunity to other students.”

She let this sink in for a few moments before adding, her face lit with pride, “And this year, the Tournament is to be held here.”

Seamus was the first to speak. “Blimey,” he muttered. Immediately, the others began chattering excitedly about this new development. All except Ron, who sat, apparently deep in thought. He looked so earnest that Harry opened his mouth to take the mickey out of him about it, but Ron, still mulling whatever it was over to himself, got up abruptly from the table and headed over to McGonagall. Hermione called to him, but he neither acknowledged nor turned around.

“What’s wrong with him?” Hermione demanded, looking at Harry.

“Dunno,” he replied, and they watched as Ron spoke briefly with the headmistress before striding purposefully from the Great Hall with not even a glance to spare for his friends.

“Wonder where he’s off to,” Ginny piped up.

They didn’t have long to speculate for he was back within a matter of minutes. No sooner had he sat back down between Seamus and Hermione, than Pigwidgeon flew into the room and soared just above the table to land immediately in front of Hermione, a folded piece of parchment in its beak. When Hermione didn’t take it right away, he bobbed his head towards her and shifted his little feet impatiently.

Hermione turned to Ron. “What is it?” she asked him, somewhat suspiciously.

He exhaled forcibly, obviously exasperated. “You’ll find out when you open it, won’t you? Go on, then,” he urged, when still she hesitated. “Won’t bite.”

Tentatively, Hermione reached out her hand to take the letter from the owl. Pigwidgeon hooted and looked from his owner to Hermione and back again, pleased with himself at the task he’d performed, and seeking praise. Harry, Ginny, and Seamus laughed at the tiny owl’s antics, but Ron was too busy watching his girlfriend’s expression to notice. Hermione’s squeal effectively tore her friends’ interest from the bird.

She threw her arms around Ron and half-shrieking, half-sobbing, she cried, “You remembered! You remembered!”

Harry and Ginny each shot out a hand at the same time to snatch up the piece of parchment.

Hermione, it read.

Would you do me the honour of going to the Yule Ball with me on 24 December? I ask now to make sure no one else beats me to it.

Ron


Ginny smirked and raised her eyes heavenward as Harry, without a word, passed the note to Seamus to read.
Chapter 11 - In Memoriam by cjbaggins
Harry was eyeing the treacle tart, wondering if he could possibly finish just one more serving, when he noticed Professor McGonagall had stood and was moving purposefully towards the front of the Hall. They were coming to the close of the start-of-term feast and Harry decided that he couldn’t quite manage another bite. He nudged Ron, on his left, who had consumed even more than he, and was looking like he was starting to doze off. With a tiny jolt, Ron sat up straighter to watch the headmistress’ progress to the podium. She raised her right hand and immediately the clamour in the room ceased. She cleared her throat and began.

“I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to those of you who are new to Hogwarts. I am Professor Minerva McGonagall and I am headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry“”

Ron, his arms raised in triumph, let out a loud cheer at this.

“Thank you, Mr. Weasley. Although if I may be allowed to continue ...” Sheepishly, Ron lowered his arms, the tips of his ears more pink than usual. “On behalf of the rest of the teaching staff and myself, I would like to extend a very warm welcome to all returning students, and a special greeting to our first-years ...” She paused as the new students were applauded by their respective houses, the ghosts bobbing happily above their tables. Harry noticed that despite a more sparsely-filled table than in previous years, the Slytherins managed to make themselves heard along with the rest.

“I have a number of announcements,” she went on briskly. “First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your patience regarding the delayed start of term this year, and in your understanding with regards to the additional ten minutes which have been added to each of the lessons in order to ensure adequate teaching time despite the postponed commencement.” She glared round at the students who had dared groan at this pronouncement and they were abruptly silent.

“I also need to apologise to the students who so look forward to this activity, but there will be no Quidditch played this year.” She again stared down the boos and moans. ““ as I am very pleased and proud to announce that Hogwarts has been chosen as the host school for the first ever ‘Cedric Diggory Memorial Inter-School Tournament’!” The students burst into loud applause and jubilant cheering at this news which McGonagall allowed for some minutes before raising her hand for quiet once again. “I will be providing, over the next few days, information regarding the rules and guidelines for this event.

“Now, my next announcement has to do with another very special circumstance this year.” She surveyed the tables briefly, her eyes resting on those students who had been present during September, and, somewhat to Harry’s surprise, she beamed at them. He suddenly wondered what was coming. “I would like to acknowledge those whom the teaching staff and I have affectionately come to refer to as our ‘eighth years’. Would those students who have been assisting the professors this past month please stand.”

An immediate chorus of protests rang out.

“Oh come on, Professor ...”

“No, please, we needn’t, honestly.”

“It was nothing...”

Professor McGonagall glared at them. “Stand.”

And they stood. For although the headmistress had spoken quietly, her tone had left no doubt that she expected to be obeyed. “The young men and women who stand before you now,” she went on, “have provided over the last month invaluable assistance in returning Hogwarts to its previous glory. In addition, I also wish to express our tremendous gratitude for the courage, dedication and, above all, unwavering loyalty these very young people have exhibited over the years, towards the memory of their former headmaster Albus Dumbledore, and ultimately to this school.

“Please, join me now in acknowledging their outstanding contributions ...” She enthusiastically began the applause and the Great Hall echoed with the roar of approval that met her comments. It took many long minutes for the din to die down and Harry wondered if the others all felt as he did: pleased at the reaction, though much rather wishing they could sink down, unnoticed, into the floorboards. Harry also vaguely considered if he was blushing as furiously as Ron, who had turned an amazing shade of raspberry. Hermione was beaming but trying desperately to hide her flushed face with her fingers. Ginny, in true Fred and George fashion, was bowing and waving to the wildly clapping, cheering students.

When the bedlam had finally subsided, Professor McGonagall turned again to address her pupils. “Some of you, especially those in the fifth to seventh years, will come across these individuals in your lessons. They will not only be assisting the professors in ensuring proper skill development under our significant time restraints, but will themselves be endeavouring to attain NEWT level in a number of subjects. I trust that you will all welcome them with open arms.”

Professor McGonagall motioned for the ‘eighth years’ to sit back down and drew a deep breath. “And now, my final announcement before I send you off to your beds: lessons tomorrow will begin only after the midday meal.” She quelled, with a single sharp look, the few weak cheers at this. “The classes will be postponed in order for the entire school to take part in a memorial service to honour those Hogwarts’ individuals whom we have lain to rest in the past year. The service will commence precisely at ten o’clock.” She surveyed them all sharply. “I expect everyone to be prompt.” She paused before adding, “That is all. Good night.” She swept from the podium and throughout the Hall there was the familiar outburst of chattering and scraping of benches as the students got to their feet and made their way to the dormitories and to bed.




Shortly before ten o’clock the next morning, Ginny, Harry, Ron, and Hermione all trooped to the portrait hole, the last to leave the Gryffindor common room. They headed silently along the corridors and down the countless staircases on their way to the Great Hall for the memorial service.

Harry reflected as they walked that none of them had spoken much at all since breakfast and he was positive, though no one had voiced the thought, that the others were as reluctant as he to attend the service, to subject themselves once again to the ravages of grief that were much too recent an experience for them all.

As averse to attending as they were, the quartet somehow managed to arrive at the entrance doors to the Hall with a minute or two to spare. Standing in the doorway, they noticed immediately that the vast room was adorned as it had been at the end of Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s fourth year, after Cedric had been killed: large, black banners hung limply above the area where the head table usually stood, lending a sombre air to the proceedings. Harry thought bitterly that things were quite sombre enough already. His next thought was that arriving just in time was probably not the brightest idea in the world; most of the student body was already present and seated in the rows of chairs that replaced the usual house tables. Harry wondered briefly whether they would be able to find places together. He needn’t have worried. As soon as the four of them had begun walking up the centre aisle searching for empty spots, they saw Neville and Luna seated near the front of the right-hand section beckoning them over, half a row of empty chairs beside them. The friends smiled their thanks before each claiming a seat.

It was only a few moments after they had sat down that Professor McGonagall made her way to the podium for the second time in as many days to address the students. When she raised her hands for silence, the difference in noise level was nowhere near as drastic as it had been the previous night. There had been very little talking amongst the students this morning; most had been already sitting quietly awaiting the beginning of the service.

“Thank you all for your punctuality,” she began and then paused to glare at a single student, small enough to be in first- or second-year, who was creeping slowly along the far aisle, desperately trying to find an empty chair before he was noticed. The headmistress waited until he had sheepishly taken a seat before she continued. “I have the rather dubious task this morning of beginning this service which honours those people loyal to Hogwarts who lost their lives in the most recent battle against Voldemort and his followers.” She paused to clear her throat and Harry could see her eyes were beginning to shine in the candlelight from the enchanted ceiling. He felt a stab of sympathy towards the headmistress; this couldn’t be any easier on her than it was on the rest of them.

“Firstly, we will “” McGonagall stopped abruptly. Her eyes were fixed on the doors into the Great Hall. “Ah, yes ... Mr. Weasley. Please, come and join your family.” She beckoned to where Ron and the others were sitting.

Those in Harry’s row, along with the rest of the school, immediately swivelled in their seats to see the person she was addressing. They turned just in time to see George push himself away from the wall and amble down the aisle to the empty chair on Harry’s left. He glanced at Harry, reaching out to shake his hand. “How did you “” Harry whispered as Ginny reached across him to clasp briefly her brother’s hand in her own.

“Professor McGonagall,” George replied in an undertone as she had started speaking again. “Sent me an owl. Thought I’d want to be here.” He acknowledged his brother’s and Hermione’s quiet greetings with a wave.

“ ... these dedicated individuals that this school, in fact the entire wizarding community, owes a tremendous debt,” McGonagall was saying. She paused again and looked at the first row where the other teachers were sitting. “Could I ask the heads of house to join me, please?”

Silently, Professors Flitwick, Oblongata, Slughorn, and Sprout rose to stand at her side, facing the assembled. They each held a rolled parchment. McGonagall plucked an identical roll from the podium and they opened them at the same time. “We will begin,” McGonagall continued, “by reading the list of those who sacrificed their all for the greater good.”

The headmistress glanced at Oblongata who cleared her throat before announcing in her ringing voice, “Colin Creevey, sixth-year student ...”

As soon as she’d said his name, a huge picture of Colin appeared above the heads of the professors standing at the front of the Hall, as if it had been projected on some gigantic cinema screen. Colin’s image smiled and waved before ducking behind the camera he held in his hands.

A muffled sob burst forth somewhere in the Hall, presumably from Dennis, but Harry barely noticed. He was back in the battle, hidden by his Cloak, on his way to Voldemort, and he could see again the figure Neville and Oliver were bringing into the castle. Even in memory, Colin looked tiny.

Harry dragged himself back to the present. Oblongata was still reading from the scroll of Gryffindor students, each name accompanied by a cheerful, smiling picture which somehow made the whole thing that much more depressing.

As the new professor neared the end of her House’s alphabetical list, Harry could sense the tension building along his row; they all dreaded what was coming. She was soon at the final name which she read in that same clear voice: “Fred Weasley, former Gryffindor student.”

Tears stung Harry’s eyes, blurring Fred’s laughing image. He thought he could detect Hermione softly weeping next to Ginny, but blood was rushing in his head, making it difficult to hear. He could see Sprout starting to read her list of Hufflepuff students but he couldn’t make out any of the names she spoke. All he heard was the sounds of battle around him, the curses and the screaming filling his ears and that one, terrible cry that still wrenched apart his insides.

As if sensing his thoughts, Ginny reached for his hand, squeezing tightly. He squeezed back but didn’t turn his head, sure he would lose control if he were to look into her eyes.

Sprout had finished her list of Hufflepuff individuals and Flitwick was nearing the end of his before Harry was able to focus again on the proceedings. When it was Slughorn’s turn, Harry wondered what names would be included for Slytherin. Surely, the headmistress would not have included the supporters and children of Death Eaters?

There was only one name for the Potions professor to announce. “Professor Severus Snape, former master, head of Slytherin house, former headmaster, and member of the Order Phoenix.”

The picture of Snape which accompanied these words was surprising. In it, Snape looked younger, friendlier, his eyes softer than Harry had ever seen them when the man was alive. Harry wondered where McGonagall had managed to find it, and had a sneaking suspicion that the former professor had been gazing at Lily when it had been taken. The thought made him smile to himself. The impulse didn’t last long, though, for the headmistress had soon raised her own piece of parchment to read.

“Dobby,” she proclaimed, “Hogwarts employee and free elf.”

Dobby’s face was barely visible beneath his mountain of hats atop his head; at the image, Harry tried to laugh but the sound that he produced was half-smirk, half-sob.

Again, Harry missed a few names. Unbidden, he remembered the tiny hero shrieking, “You must not harm Harry Potter!” Then, suddenly, Harry was back at Shell Cottage, could hear the roar of the sea against the cliffs and feel the breeze on his bare skin, the soreness in his muscles, the ache in his chest as he dug the grave for his tiny friend.

“Remus Lupin,” McGonagall continued, “former master and member of the Order of the Phoenix. Nymphadora Tonks, auror and member of the Order of the Phoenix.” Though the backs of his eyes were burning, Harry smiled at the usual shocking pink hair Tonks sported in her photo. Grief squeezed his chest, though, as he forced his mind away from the thought of the infant the two of them had left behind.

Once McGonagall had finished her list, she rolled it back up, placed it on the podium, and nodded to the heads of house, who returned to the front row of seats, but remained standing.

“I would now ask,” the headmistress said, “that you rise for a few minutes of silence to honour the memory of these courageous individuals.”

The assembled rose almost as one, the usual scraping of chairs and shuffling at a minimum. Once they were in position, Professor McGonagall folded her hands in front of herself. With a quiet, “We shall begin,” she bowed her head. Most of the staff and students followed suit, Harry included. He was vaguely aware as he lowered his head that George was staring stoically ahead.

The rest of Harry’s row, though, was having some difficulty keeping their emotions in check. Luna had begun to cry quietly and Dean, in the row behind, reached forward at the sight of her distress to clasp her shoulder in his hand. Neville, his hands clenched into fists, stared at the floor, his jaw tight, his nostrils flared in an effort not to break down.

Concentrating on his shoes, willing himself not to give in to the feelings storming through him, Harry couldn’t believe how long a few minutes could be. Hearing a choking sound, he turned to George. Although he was still staring ahead, the tears were now streaming down the other man’s face. Embarrassed at this open display of emotion, Harry quickly averted his eyes but Ginny tugged at his sleeve on his other side. She motioned towards her brother, indicating that she expected Harry to comfort him. At a loss, Harry shrugged helplessly at her. She glared at him, her gestures more urgent. Awkwardly, Harry tentatively reached out his hand to pat George’s shoulder, Ginny nodding, but still motioning impatiently next to him. Without warning, George turned to Harry, grabbing him in a fierce hug. Caught off guard, Harry hesitated only a second or two before returning it.

A few moments later, when they were seated again, McGonagall addressed them all once more.

“This concludes the more formal portion of our ceremony,” she announced. “Loved ones of the fallen will proceed with these photographs of their friends or family members ...” She flicked her wand and framed portraits of the images that had been displayed as the names had been read appeared and floated in front of her in a large group as if awaiting orders. Another motion with her wrist, and the pictures soared through the air to land in specific hands. Two photographs made their way to Harry’s row: Fred’s landed on George’s lap, and Harry soon clutched Dobby’s in his hands.

“The family members will proceed,” the headmistress continued, “to the Entrance Hall where the portraits will be placed on a designated Memorial Wall for all to observe as they enter the school. All students are of course invited to join us. However, those wishing to leave may do so once the relatives have completed their procession. Our midday meal will commence at the usual time. Thank you for your attendance and participation. She raised her hands in a lifting motion and the assembled rose to their feet.




The friends and family of those that had passed on remained at the wall as the other students slowly began drifting away. Harry stayed with Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and George before Fred’s picture. George, his gaze fixed on the image of his twin, suddenly remarked, quietly, “Should I tell her? McGonagall, I mean.”

They all looked at him.

“Tell her what?” Ron asked.

He nodded his head towards Fred’s portrait. “That’s a picture of me.”

The others were stunned.

What?”

“You’re joking!”

“Is it really?” Hermione said, appalled.

George turned to her, trying to grin. “No,” he admitted, shaking his head. ‘Not really.” Silent tears once again leaked out over his bottom lids. His voice thick with emotion, he winked at the image of his brother. “That one was yours, mate.” He nodded to the others. “Cheers,” he said softly, before turning and walking away.

Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Harry stayed where they were for a while longer, watching the movements of the inhabitants of the portraits. Harry frowned when he took a look at some of the others beside Fred; something wasn’t right, and it began to bother him. Scanning the Entrance Hall he found the person he sought, and strode quickly after her.

“Professor!” he called. “Professor McGonagall!”

She turned. “Yes, Mr. Potter?” she said, briskly.

Harry gestured towards the Memorial Wall. “The photos ... one of them is in the wrong place.”

“Wrong place?” she repeated.

“Sna“ Professor Snape,” Harry said. “He shouldn’t be there.”

McGonagall frowned at him. “I thought you, of all people, Potter, would understand why we chose to include him in “”

“No,” Harry said, cutting her off. “You don’t understand. I don’t mean we shouldn’t acknowledge him.” He exhaled forcibly, wondering how on earth to explain how he felt. “Professor Snape was ... erm ... he could be petty ... and vindictive ... and hostile. Oh, hell, he was a right prat most of the time ...” Harry could have sworn that the headmistress’ lips twitched at his comment but she didn’t speak. “But the fact is,” Harry went on, “he was loyal until his death: loyal to Dumbledore, to this school, and,” he added a little louder as McGonagall looked as if she might interrupt, “to the memory of a member of your own house.” Harry’s eyes burned at the thought of his mother, but he didn’t lose momentum. He knew he needed to do this. “I know Snape left, technically abandoning his post and all, but under the circumstances, there’s only one fitting place for his portrait “ and that’s in your office. On Dumbledore’s right hand.”

McGonagall didn’t respond immediately, but simply stared at Harry for a few, very long moments. Her eyes were sympathetic when she finally did speak. “You obviously feel strongly about this, Harry.”

“I do,” he agreed firmly, her renewed use of his first name not lost on him. “Minerva,” he added.

“I will bring your request before the rest of the faculty,” McGonagall said. “I cannot guarantee the outcome, but I will be sure to mention your conviction regarding the matter. The staff and I will certainly take that into consideration when reaching a decision.”

With that, she turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Harry standing in the Entrance Hall, watching her go.
End Notes:
Astute fans will notice that I have written about Snape's portrait differently in this story than in my other Post-Hogwarts one called "Aftermath". After completing that other fic, I read an interview with Ms Rowling in which she commented that she had purposefully left Snape's portrait out of the headmaster (headmistress') office at the end of DH, but that she was sure Harry would be instrumental in seeing that it got placed there eventually. This is therefore my version of how it could end up there.
cj
Chapter 12 - Routines and Risks by cjbaggins
Professor Oblongata strode down beside the Gryffindor house table after lunch, handing out timetables.

“Off to the dungeons ...” muttered a fifth-year student to his friend, not sounding too pleased.

“At least we’re with Hufflepuff this year,” retorted the friend, indicating some frightened-looking younger students. “They’re with Slytherin.”

The boys headed from the Hall together, smirking to themselves.

Having overheard their exchange, Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table. He couldn’t help but notice that the students there, clumped together in small groups according to year, looked much less haughty, and decidedly more apprehensive than he had ever seen members of that particular house. Harry guessed it was because they were beginning to realize that in all their mixed-house lessons, they would be outnumbered at least two to one. This was probably not such a terrible thing, he thought.

Movement beside him brought Harry’s attention back to his own table.

“I guess we youngsters must be on our way, then,” Ginny remarked as she got up from the bench, timetable in hand. She leaned down to kiss Harry before waving to Luna and the two left, heads bent over their schedules, comparing them.

Oblongata drew up to Harry and his friends and they reached out their hands. She shook her head. “The headmistress has yours,” she told them.

Sure enough, McGonagall was heading towards them with a stack of parchment in her hands, beckoning to Ernie and Hannah to follow her.

“Here we are,” she said, passing round the pieces of parchment. “You’ll find these timetables are not quite like the ones to which you are accustomed.”

Seeing large ‘Ns’ and ‘PAs’ within the boxes of his weekly chart, Harry had to agree.

“Any lesson marked with an ‘N’,” McGonagall explained, “are those which you require for NEWT level. ‘PA’ indicates those in which you will be acting as Professor Assistants.”

Harry glanced at his timetable again. The majority of his time was to be spent in Defense Against the Dark Arts, with many boxes sporting a ‘PA’. A few lessons had an ‘N’ mark, though, and he realized they would all be with Ginny’s seventh-year Gryffindor group.

“Now, Miss Granger,” McGonagall was saying, “I have taken the liberty of adding you to all lessons I will be teaching this year. Your assistance will prove invaluable, especially when my duties as headmistress interfere with my teaching.”

Hermione’s cheeks reddened slightly, but she nodded. “You will be expected to sit your NEWTs,” McGonagall continued, “with the rest at the end of the year, so will need to be familiar with the material. I suspect, though, that you may already have read and memorised the required seventh-year texts ...”

Hermione’s blush deepened but she met the headmistress’ gaze and they shared a warm smile. “I’ll go there now, then?” Hermione asked as she gathered her things.

“Please,” was the reply. “I’ll be along in a few minutes.”

“I’ll walk with you,” Neville said, also getting up. “Professor Sprout will be expecting me.”

“Professor ...” Ron began, as they left. He looked puzzled. “I think there’s some sort of mistake. I’m down as assisting in Muggle Studies. That can’t be right. Wouldn’t Dean, or Hermione, or Harry be a better choice?”

But McGonagall was shaking her head. “No mistake, Mel asked for you especially.”

“But I “”

McGonagall’s raised hand stopped Ron’s interruption. “Professor Oblongata believes, and I agree, that far more important than actual Muggle details, which she can fill in readily, is an attitude of acceptance and tolerance. As you possess that in abundance, your assistance will be most greatly appreciated, especially in the Slytherin lessons.”

Ron’s expression was a mixture of surprise and pleasure as he, too, headed from the Hall for his first assignment as Professor Assistant.

Harry was soon the only ‘eighth-year’ left with the headmistress. The two of them made their way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom together.

“Now, Mister Potter,” McGonagall began on the way, “with our new system for the teaching of this course, you will be assisting each one of our guest lecturers with their lessons. I have no doubt that you will be more than capable of adapting to the inevitable differences in individual teaching style. Keep in mind, you yourself are slated to present for the entire months of January and February to all fifth, sixth, and seventh years.”

Harry nodded, the thought of once again training a group of his peers in defensive skills filling him with a combination of nervousness and excitement.

“Here we are,” the headmistress remarked as they reached the classroom. She stepped back to allow Harry to enter first. The seventh-year Gryffindors were waiting in their desks, more or less quietly. Harry quickly spotted Ginny at the front of the room, the seat beside her empty. As he made his way to his desk, he passed Molly Weasley standing against the wall. She beamed at him and he responded with a wave, recalling that she was to be teaching in October.

McGonagall’s explanation of the DADA lessons took but a few minutes and she soon hurried from the room late, Harry knew, for the six-year Transfiguration class with which Hermione was assisting. As soon as she left, the class began chattering and laughing, pointing at their new ‘professor-of-the-month’.

Harry felt Ginny flinch beside him, saw her fists clenched at her sides. He understood her anger, indeed felt it himself, at the rude reaction of the students.

They needn’t have worried, though. Looking completely unperturbed, Mrs. Weasley marched quickly to the front of the room, turned abruptly, and remarked sharply, loud enough to reach the farthest back table, “You might laugh. Bellatrix Lestrange did. Right before I killed her.”

That shut them up. Shocked, the students stared at her, not at all sure whether she was to be believed, but definitely not willing to chance the fact that she was. “That’s better, dears,” Mrs. Weasley said sweetly, her voice much softer. “Now, take out your wands ...”

***************
Meanwhile, in the Muggle Studies class, Ron was standing at the front of the room staring at the handful of fourth-year Slytherins. Oblongata was conferring at the door with a Gryffindor prefect regarding an issue with a disobedient member of the house. As the Slytherins whispered and muttered to each other, Ron hoped that she would hurry, convinced that they were discussing him. His suspicions proved correct when one burly-looking lad took note of Ron’s red hair and freckles and remarked, with a sneer, “You a Weasley?” The contempt was obvious in the younger student’s tone.

But Ron, vividly recalling the courage his parents, his brothers, and his sister had exhibited during the Battle at Hogwarts, stood a little taller as he replied, “Yes. I am.”

“And,” put in another boy, his voice all but dripping with disdain, “you’re snogging that Mudblood Granger, aren’t you?”

Twenty points from Slytherin!” Oblongata declared from the back of the room before Ron could respond. Finished her conversation, she nodded to the prefect, who left, and strode to stand at Ron’s side.

“That term will not be used in my class, Mister Deirdson.” To his credit, the boy looked moderately chastened. “By nine o’clock tomorrow morning,” the professor continued, “I expect on my desk a full sheet of parchment outlining at least three famous Muggle-borns and their contributions to the wizarding world. You will present the information to your classmates.”

Oblongata turned to her assistant. “Anything to add, Mister Weasley?”

“I don’t think so,” Ron replied, pretending to think it over. “He just better hope I don’t mention it to Hermione, though.” His gaze lingered on the student who had used the offensive language. “They have her next for Transfiguration. She’s likely to turn him into a newt.” Ron bit back a smirk at the fear in the younger man’s eyes. “You know, for demonstrating purposes ...”

“Oh, yes,” said Oblongata, playing along, “and quite readily, too, knowing her ...”

She winked at Ron so only he could see before addressing the whole class. “Muggle Studies. Understanding and accepting our non-magical friends and colleagues.” She glared at the student who’d let out a snort at this comment and the young woman quickly feigned a coughing fit. “Take out your quills and a piece of parchment, please ...”

************
Ron, and the rest of the ‘eighth years’ soon settled into a regular routine with their new duties and responsibilities and the month of October passed rather uneventfully for all staff and students.

The only break in the new routine came two days before Hallowe’en, when the delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrived to take part in the Cedric Diggory Memorial Tournament. The visitors appeared in the same way they had during Harry’s fourth year: the Durmstrang students by magical ship, and the Beauxbatons women with Madame Maxime in their flying coach. While it was all very familiar for Harry, his friends, and all those who had been present during the last Tri-Wizard Tournament, the unusual modes of transportation caused quite a stir among the younger students.

Mildly exciting for the newer students was the introduction of the representative from the Department of International Magical Cooperation (a small, bland witch in her seventies, whose name Harry missed) and Penelope Lainye from the Department of Magical Games and Sports (a robust-looking witch in her fifties who kept rubbing her hands together eagerly). But the most thrilling for all students, whether they had experienced it before or not, had to be the unveiling of the Goblet of Fire in the Great Hall, the night before Hallowe’en.

Filch brought the jewel-encrusted wooden chest to the front of the Hall at McGonagall’s signal. As he placed it before the podium, McGonagall explained that there would be three tasks spaced throughout the school year, undertaken by one student from each of the three schools taking part, as there had been in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. She assured all present, though, that stringent controls were in place thanks to both overseeing Departments, to ensure that this time, no tampering with the tasks or contestants would occur.

Harry was certain this was supposed to sound comforting, but found it strangely frightening. He shook off the feeling. After all, he wasn’t planning to put his name in; it was hardly his concern how safe the event was. Besides, his discomfort was probably just from overeating at the feast.


Ron shook his head in disbelief. “They’re mad, Harry, completely barking.”

Harry didn’t reply, but simply nodded his head in agreement.

The two of them were standing together in the Entrance Hall, watching the activity around the Goblet of Fire “ once more set up on the Sorting Hat’s stool and surrounded by the golden age line.

“Hey, Weasley!” shouted a Hufflepuff student they only vaguely recognized. “You giving it a go, then?”

“Oh, yeah, absolutely,” Ron shot back. “After you, mate ...”

The student laughed raucously before he headed across the Hall.

“ ‘Ello Ron. ‘Ello ‘Arry.”

The young women from Beauxbatons were filing up to the Goblet in a single line, led by their headmistress. It was Fleur’s sister, Gabrielle, who had called to them. She waggled her fingers at them as she passed. They waved back but didn’t get to see the Beauxbatons hopefuls actually drop their names into the Goblet, for just then Ginny descended the main staircase, Hermione struggling to keep up with her.

“Ginny,” she said, panting a bit as she tried to catch up. “Ginny! Are you sure about this? Because I really don’t think“” But Ginny ignored her, seemingly deaf to her cries. The people still milling about the Entrance Hall weren’t, though, and all turned with interest to the new excitement unfolding before them.

The girls drew up to Ron and Harry and Hermione, obviously flustered, appealed to them.

Tell her, Ron, Harry,” she pleaded. “She won’t listen to reason.”

“Tell her what?” Ron demanded, but Harry could see the folded bit of parchment in Ginny’s hand.

“You’re putting your name in?” Harry cried, astonished.

“What?” Ron spluttered. “Are you mental?”

Hermione looked pleased at his reaction, apparently vindicated in her own feelings.

“Don’t you even start, Ron,” Ginny was saying. “It’s not your concern.”

“Not my“ You’re my sister! Of course it’s my“ ”

“I’m of age, Ron,” Ginny reminded him. “You can’t tell me what to do.”

“But you know what it entails. You saw Harry go through it all. You can’t be seriously thinking you’re going to “”

“You think I can’t handle myself? You think I’m a child?” Ginny retorted.

Harry tuned out the row. All he could see was fire-breathing dragons, horned Grindylows, spear-carrying Merpeople, fellow competitors Imperiused into using Unforgiveable Curses against one another, and the most disturbing image of all: Cedric lying lifeless in the cemetery.

Shutting out the memories, he murmured, “Ginny ...” effectively cutting through the argument.

She rounded on him, her features set in a defiant glare. “You going to start in on me now, too?”

He wanted to. He wanted to argue with her, scream at her, make her see sense. But as much as he agreed with both Ron and Hermione, Harry knew that arguing with Ginny wasn’t going to get him anywhere. Grimly, he realized he’d learnt something from their awful row in September. With a sigh, and trying to forget the people still watching their exchange, Harry admitted, “I’m scared.”

Ginny’s defiant look softened immediately. “I know,” she said, and Harry could tell that she did understand. “And I’m sorry. But I have to do this, Harry. I have to.” She glanced quickly at Ron and Hermione. “And my brother, my best friend, not even my boyfriend can change my mind. I’m sorry,” she reiterated, before turning away from them.

Desperate for her to change her mind, Harry’s head pounded, the blood rushing through his ears. Barely aware of what he was doing, but knowing he had to do something “ anything “ to stop her, he dropped to one knee behind her.

Ignoring the crowd and the gasps from the Muggleborns who saw what was coming, he blurted out, “What about your husband?”

Ginny slowly turned to face him again.

“My what?”

Harry could feel his face burning, the blush extending well up into his scalp. He stammered, “This isn’t“ It’s not how I wanted to“ I still have“ ” He gestured impatiently towards the ceiling, “Upstairs, I mean ... In my trunk. I have the“ ” He shrugged helplessly.

“Marry me?”
End Notes:
Finally! This chapter is finished. I hope there is still interest in this story, despite the huge delay in updating. Next two chapters should be along in good time. cj
Chapter 13 - Popping the Question, revisited by cjbaggins
Harry crawled into bed that night before eleven, exhausted but unable to sleep; the two significant events of the day replaying themselves in his mind, each causing his stomach to lurch, but for completely different reasons.

For after his impromptu proposal of marriage, Ginny had gone ahead and placed her name in the Goblet of Fire anyway. The jolt he got from that event had nothing to do (as she had feared) with a belief that she would not be able to handle the tasks, since Harry was firmly convinced that Ginny was by far the most capable person from all three schools to try out for the Tournament. Rather, his apprehension had more to do with a primitive, irrational fear of losing yet another person he loved.

Harry also couldn’t help but wonder if she was entering simply to prove something to him, but she had, when he voiced this concern, assured him that her desire to compete had less to do with him and much more with a need to prove to herself that she was up to the challenge; she had put it down to having grown up with so many adventure-seeking, and often foolhardy, older brothers.

It was these thoughts and fears combined with the underlying thrill that he had actually blurted out the suggestion of marriage to Ginny that kept him awake, lying on his back and staring, bleary-eyed at the ceiling, long after Ron, Seamus, Dean, and Neville had each entered the room, changed, and gotten into their respective beds.

As he listened to his roommates’ whispered comments to each other and the creak of their beds as they slipped under blankets, his stomach clenched horribly at the sudden, sickening realisation that Ginny had never given him an answer. This caused his heart to pound dully and his eyes refuse to close long after the lights around him were doused and he heard the soft snores and deep breathing of the others.

Harry was therefore wide awake when, well past midnight, he heard the door softly open and close, and tiptoed footsteps cross the floor. Even in the dark, he knew who it was before the visitor approached his bed and had sat down upon it; he would recognise that delicate flowery scent anywhere.

“It’s me,” Ginny whispered.

Harry sat up and beamed at her, his worries and anxious thoughts evaporating in a rush at the familiar blazing look he could see on her face in the pale moonlight streaming in through the window.

“I can see that,” he told her and she stifled a giggle. “The question,” he went on, “is why. Looking for some fun-filled detentions with Professors McGonagall and Oblongata if they catch you?”

“Nooo... You said earlier that you had something for me. Up here. So I thought I’d, um, come up and ...” Her voice trailed off weakly and for the first time in years, Harry marvelled that she actually looked shy. As if she could read his thoughts, she recovered quickly and jutting her chin out defiantly demanded, “Well? Do you have something for me, or not?”

“Oh yeah,” Harry replied and leaning closer, he pressed his lips to hers. What followed were many long, delicious moments of relative silence, the soft ticking of a nearby clock and a couple of owls hooting in the distance their only accompaniment.

Or at least it was until a disgruntled voice from the next bed called out, “Oi! Just so’s we’re all clear: I turn over and see my little sister anywhere near your bed? Best mate or not, I will kill you!”

Amid muffled snorts from the other beds, Ginny rolled her eyes dramatically, making Harry grin widely.

“I’ll meet you downstairs,” he whispered.

She looked like she was going to argue, but must have thought better of it because she gave him one last, lingering kiss, stood, and headed for the door.

His grin wider still, his lips still tingling with the pressure of hers, Harry grabbed for his glasses, threw off the sheets, jumped out of bed, and hurried to his trunk. Rummaging in it for a few moments, his lit wand his only light, he finally found the tiny velvet box he sought and, snatching it up, strode to the door. He was in the hall before he realised he was only wearing underpants and vest. With an inward groan, he sped back inside the dormitory and flung on some clothes before bounding down the stairs, three at a time, landing with a bump at the bottom in front of a startled Ginny, who let out a nervous giggle.

“Well?” she prodded, eagerly eyeing the hand that held the box. “What did you want to give me?”

Grabbing her wrist, Harry pulled her over to one of the fireplaces lining the walls which he lit with an impatient wave of his wand. Glancing around the common room to make sure they were alone, he said, “Wait. I want to do this right this time.” He let his grip slide from her wrist until he was holding her hand instead, and dropped to his knee before her.

She laughed again. “You know you look a right ass when you do that, don’t you?”

“I don’t make fun of your traditions, do I?” he retorted, with mock seriousness, fighting not to laugh himself.

“Sorry. Sorry.” Ginny pressed her lips tightly together to refrain from laughing aloud again. “Continue,” she managed to get out through her pursed mouth.

“Ginny ...” he began and then stopped. “Or maybe at a time like this I should call you Ginevra?”

“Do and I’ll thump you.”

Harry smirked and clasped her hand even tighter. He cleared his throat, and all of a sudden he didn’t have to feign a serious tone. “Ginny Weasley, will you marry me?”

All trace of her giggles gone, Ginny dropped onto her knees too so she could look in his eyes when she answered. “Of course I will, Harry. Of course I will.” She leaned in to kiss him, but his attention was taken with opening the velvet box.

“Then this is for you ...” He held out the ring, his heart beating madly somewhere near the back of his throat.

Ginny gasped when she saw it shining in the firelight like a yet-to-be-used Golden Snitch. She peered at the setting: huge, blood-red rubies, stone of Gryffindor House, set in a distinctive zig-zag pattern, highly reminiscent of a tiny lightning bolt.

“Wow, it looks exactly like a ...” Her eyes flitted to his forehead.

“Yeah.” Harry watched her face closely; all of a sudden, a ring shaped like his scar seemed completely idiotic. “Stupid, isn’t it?”

“What?” Ginny wasn’t really listening as she took the ring from him to get a closer look. “Stupid? Are you joking? It’s brilliant!” She slipped it on her finger, still admiring it. “I love it!” She looked up at him finally, brushed away the usual untidy lock of hair from his eyes, and added softly, “I love you.”

This time when she kissed him, Harry had nothing else to occupy his attention at all.




It was some thirty minutes later that Harry glided back into the dormitory, his cheeks aching from the width of his grin. Undressing back down to underpants and vest in silence, still quite unable to stop smiling, he got back into bed and pulled the sheets up to his waist.

“Thirty-six and a half minutes?” Ron hissed from the next bed. “Thirty-six and a half? How the hell could giving a girl a ring take over ten minutes? What the bloody hell were you two doing?”

Still smiling idiotically, Harry replied, without thinking, “Sorry, mate, the couches are just too comfortable down there ...”

With a roar of anger, Ron had torn off his blankets, leapt from his bed, ripped aside Harry’s hangings, grabbed Harry’s vest in one fist, and aimed the other at Harry’s nose before his intended victim knew what was happening.

His arms raised in surrender, Harry cried out, “A joke, Ron. It was a joke! Nothing happened. I swear.”

Ron’s face faded from purple to red and he lowered his right fist, releasing Harry’s vest, slowly, from his other hand. Jerking his arms out of the clutches of Neville and Seamus, who had sprung to Harry’s aid, Ron climbed off Harry’s bed and dropped down onto his own, his head in his hands.

Seeing that the danger had passed, Neville and Seamus nodded to Harry and returned to bed.

Livid, Harry rounded on Ron. “What the HELL was that for? If there was one bloke I thought you could trust your sister with, it’d be me!”

“I know, mate, I’m sorry.” Ron’s voice was muffled by his hands.

Harry, still angry, snorted his derision.

Ron raised his head. “No, really. I am sorry.” He sighed heavily. “Don’t know what came over me. It was mental. I know it was ...”

“Nothing happened.”

“I know. Again, I am sorry.”

Harry grunted something noncommital which Ron must have taken as acceptance because he didn’t look as crestfallen. With another sigh, he got back under the bedclothes.

Harry did the same and, knowing full well something must be bothering his friend for him to attack him like that, he waited until he once again heard the sounds of sleep coming from the other beds and then asked, “So what’s wrong?”

Ron exhaled noisily. “It’s Hermione,” he admitted miserably. “She’s driving me round the bend. All night it was, ‘Isn’t it sweet, Ron? Isn’t it lovely? Don’t you think it’s so romantic about Harry and Ginny?’ ” Harry grinned at the remarkably good imitation of Hermione’s voice and was grateful for the darkness so Ron couldn’t see his face. “Every two minutes,” Ron was saying. “It’s mental. And I have to wait almost two months if I want to ask her at the Yule Ball.”

“You could have asked her first,” Harry pointed out.

Ron scoffed loudly. “Wouldn’t have been an issue, would it, if you hadn’t gone and bollixed it up!”

“I was trying to stop her putting her name in!” Harry retorted hotly.

“Was just saying ...” Ron replied, soothingly. “No need to get shirty.”

“Not shirty,” Harry muttered. He was still annoyed at Ron’s earlier attack. Recalling the time he had spent with Ginny down in the common room, however, he decided to let it go.

“So, you’re going to wait?” Harry asked.

“I’m going to wait,” Ron agreed glumly.

They lapsed into silence until Ron broke it with a question. “Well?”

Half asleep, Harry wasn’t sure what he meant at first. “Well what?”

Ginny. The ring,” Ron said, sounding exasperated. “Did she like it?”

Harry’s mouth split into its wide grin again. “Yeah. She did.”

“Oi!” Harry turned to see Ron extending his hand and they shook.

“Congratulations, mate.”

“Thanks.”

“And, um, Harry?”

“Yeah?” he replied, wondering at the hesitancy in his friend’s voice.

“Sorry about earlier, mate.”

“It’s over. Leave it,” Harry assured him, forcing out of his mind, for now, the image of the way Ginny’s skin shone in the firelight.

“ ... speaking of rings,” Ron was saying, “remember when you offered to lend me gold for Hermione’s?”

“But you wanted to ask George instead.”

“Yeah, well,” Ron said, “the git was going to charge me interest.”

Harry bit back a chuckle. That sounded like the successful businessman he knew well. “So you were wondering if my offer was still open?”

“Um, yeah.”

“Course it is. Hermione deserves the best.”

Harry heard Ron’s sigh of relief. “Good. I’ve not got much time to get one. Oh, and, um, Harry ...” Ron added, the hesitancy back.

“And I don’t charge interest,” Harry assured his friend, smiling in the dark.

“Brilliant.”

Silence reigned once more until Harry heard a loud “Bloody hell!” from the next bed.

“What now?”

“I just realized. It’s going to be weeks of, ‘Did you see Ginny’s ring, Ron?’ ‘Isn’t it beautiful?’ ‘Don’t you think it’s so romantic?’ ”

Harry crammed a fist into his mouth to refrain from laughing aloud. A few moments later, with Ron still describing possible Hermione-like remarks, Harry closed his eyes, and it was only Ginny’s voice he heard as he drifted off into a contented sleep.

“Of course I will, Harry. Of course I will.”








Author’s note - the No need to get shirty/Not shirty exchange between Ron and Harry was inspired by a very similar exchange in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 7 episode, “End of Days” written by Douglas Petrie and Jane Espenson. I just borrowed it as it fit well in this chapter.
Chapter 14 - More Letters from Home by cjbaggins
Both Harry and Ron overslept the next morning. It was Ron who awoke first and sounded the alarm, bounding out of bed less than thirty minutes before classes were scheduled to begin.

“Harry!” he cried, frantically shaking Harry’s shoulder. “Oi, get a move on! We’re late.” Yanking off the sheets as Harry finally began to stir, Ron grabbed his sponge bag and hurried out the door for a quick wash.

Harry sat up slowly, moving at a much more languid speed than Ron, and reached for his glasses, the grin from the night before still very much in evidence on his face. He had barely climbed out of bed and started searching for his school robes before Ron came striding back into the room, horrified at Harry’s obvious lack of progress.

“Come on!” he bellowed, throwing on his clothes. We’re going to miss breakfast!” Without waiting for a response to this awful forecast, he slung his school bag over his shoulder and dashed from the room, tying his tie as he went.

Despite Ron’s dire prediction, Harry managed to make it down to the Great Hall only a short five minutes later and there were yet some platters of toast and bacon remaining on the Gryffindor table, although Ron was apparently trying his hardest to rectify that situation.

Harry, still in a fantastic mood, smiled to himself at the sight of his friend wolfing down food at such an alarming rate and approached the table. Hermione and Ginny, long finished breakfast as indicated by the empty plates pushed aside in front of them, were chatting animatedly together, their conversation interspersed with long glances at Ginny’s new ring. Hermione squealed as soon as she saw Harry and she jumped up to fling her arms around him.

“Oh, Harry!” she shrieked with delight. “It’s such wonderful news. Congratulations!”

He muttered his thanks, covertly attempting to snatch a piece or two of bacon behind her back. He was starving now that he could smell the food.

Hermione gave him another squeeze before releasing him and returning to her seat. Harry followed suit, dropping down next to Ron, and eagerly grabbing a plate. Without a word, Ginny passed him a platter of bacon and he took it from her gratefully.

“ ‘Morning,” he murmured, grinning at her.

She grinned back but before she could speak, the Weasleys’ new owl, Zephyr, soared down the table and landed directly in front of her, a vivid red envelope clutched in its beak. Harry’s heart sank. That sight never boded well.

He heard Ron swear under his breath, and Hermione whispered, “Oh dear.”

Ginny merely plucked the Howler from the young Tawny Owl’s grip. “Was wondering when this would arrive ...” she remarked grimly, and cautiously opened the message. Mrs. Weasley’s voice thundered through the Hall, echoing off the stone walls, resounding in Harry’s ears. He gobbled his toast frantically, hoping a full mouth would somehow muffle the deafening sound.

“GINEVRA WEASLEY!” the Howler screeched, faithfully living up to its name. Necks all around the Great Hall craned to see who had received the squawking letter. “HOW ON EARTH COULD YOU DO ANYTHING SO FOOLISH AS TO PLACE YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET I’LL NEVER KNOW. I“ I“ I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE“”

The din mercifully subsided momentarily as Mrs. Weasley’s voice dissolved into angry spluttering, apparently Ginny’s mother had been uncharacteristically at a loss for words. The reprieve was short-lived. The clamour soon began again anew.

“AFTER EVERYTHING WE’VE BEEN THROUGH. BILL AND GEORGE’S INJURIES, THE LOSS OF GOOD FRIENDS, NOT TO MENTION THE DEATH OF YOUR OWN BROTHER. HOW YOU DARE TO EVEN THINK OF PUTTING YOURSELF IN ANY DANGER IS BEYOND ME. YOU WILL MARCH YOURSELF STRAIGHT UP TO YOUR HEADMISTRESS AND WITHDRAW YOUR NAME. IMMEDIATELY!” The last word rang horribly in Harry’s ears as the Howler burst into flames and disintegrated onto an empty platter.

The silence was almost as deafening as the Howler had been. Ron and Hermione, embarrassed for Ginny’s sake, chuckled nervously and started talking about the classes they were assisting with that day. Ginny, though, stared at the spot where the Howler had been only moments before. She then raised her head to look at Harry beseechingly.

Harry wished she wouldn’t. Truth was, he agreed with everything Mrs. Weasley had said. What could he possibly say to her? Fortunately for him, another owl arrived at that moment.

“If this keeps up, we’re going to be late for classes,” Hermione remarked uneasily, making a big show of looking at her watch. Harry figured she was thinking the same thing he was: what if this were another Howler?

Ginny, though, was already untying a very normal, and therefore quiet, letter from the owl’s leg. It was then that Harry noticed that the owl in question had been transfigured to sport some stripes of maroon down its back. Also, on close inspection, he could see the small banner tied to the bird’s other leg, stating in bold, maroon letters: ‘Shop Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes for all your joking needs!’

“That’s one of Fred and “” Ron stopped himself and quickly tried again, “That’s from George’s shop.”

“I know,” Ginny said, and unrolled the small bit of parchment as the owl hooted mournfully and with a great flutter of wings, rose into the air, and soared away. Harry watched it go, suddenly wondering where Zephyr had gone. He hadn’t seen it leave. Guessing that it had gone as soon as the Howler had begun earlier, he turned back to Ginny to see her eyes were filled with tears. When she passed him the letter, though, she was smiling as well. Puzzled, he took it from her.

It read:

Dear Ginny,

I’ve just heard (from Mum, who else?) about you putting your name in for the Tournament. Gotta tell you, scares me to death. The thought of something happening to you, too ...

But, you don’t need to hear that from me, right? You’ve probably already gotten a Howler or three from Mum. So I guess all I can really say is what I’d like to think Fred would have told you in this situation.

GIVE ‘EM HELL, GINNY!

Make him proud.

George
End Notes:
A shorter chapter, but more is on its way, I hope. Stay tuned! cj
Chapter 15 - Champions by cjbaggins
Author's Notes:
The information regarding Gamp and the ways to Transfigure food are from Ms Rowling herself and can be found in DH.



All eyes were on Professor McGonagall as she made her way to the podium, the atmosphere in the Great Hall one of barely restrained anticipation. The Hallowe’en Feast was finished and now every official representative, tournament judge, teacher, and student was eagerly awaiting the Goblet of Fire’s decision.

McGonagall extinguished the candles lighting the Great Hall as Dumbledore had done four years ago, and the Goblet shone magnificently in the dim light emanating from Hagrid’s giant carved pumpkins.

“The Goblet of Fire will inform us momentarily of our three champions,” the headmistress announced. “If Mr. Diggory would join me, please?”

A few of the assembled craned their necks to watch Amos Diggory make his way to McGonagall’s side. Harry noticed that Mr. Diggory seemed as nervous as Ginny who was staring at the table and nibbling frantically at her cuticles. Harry took one of her hands in his and gave it a squeeze. “Cedric’s father,” McGonagall was saying, “has graciously agreed to be with us this evening to announce the names of the champions. When they are called, the chosen three shall meet with the tournament officials and judges in the room beyond the door to my right ...”

No sooner had she gestured to the door, than the flames within the Goblet jumped higher and changed from blue-white to red. There were gasps of surprise as a single flame leapt out, delivering a small piece of parchment to Professor McGonagall. She caught it and passed it to Mr. Diggory who cleared his throat and called out loudly, “The champion for Beauxbatons is Giselle Banquise!”

Madame Maxime and her students applauded enthusiastically, though genteelly, as a young woman, slim and dark-haired with an athletic build, rose from the Ravenclaw table and made her way past the staff table and into the smaller chamber beyond. Harry noted that the remaining women took their disappointment much better than in the past - at least no one had burst into tears this time.

Mere seconds after Miss Banquise had left the Hall, the Goblet blazed red again. “The Durmstrang champion,” announced Mr. Diggory, “is Ivan Averyanov!”

The reaction of the young men from Durmstrang was much louder and wilder than that of the Beaxubatons representatives, and included much whooping, cat calls, and pounding on the Slytherin table. Harry glanced at the staff table and was pleased to see that the new Durmstrang headmaster, Boris Afanasev, while applauding heartily, looked much less overbearing and disagreeable than his predecessor.

After Ivan had followed Giselle into the next room, the Great Hall was completely silent as all turned back to the Goblet to await the name of the Hogwarts champion. Diggory snatched the third and final piece of paper as it burst from the Goblet. Seeing the name upon it, his face registered his surprise before he smiled to himself and his eyes searched the Gryffindor table. Watching this, Harry was sure whose name would be announced. However, he was unprepared for the surge of pride that swelled in his chest as Mr. Diggory declared, “For Hogwarts - Ginny Weasley!”

So many things happened at once that Harry could barely take them all in: Hermione gasped, Ron thumped his palm on the table, Seamus yelled in triumph, as the rest of Gryffindors exploded in celebration. Ginny stood slowly, her expression a strange mixture of shock and self-satisfaction, and Harry grabbed her hand again. Searching her eyes, he tried desperately to find the words to say all he needed to say. Not coming up with any at all, he stood as well and kissed her, hard, for a few moments before releasing her hand, and she was gone.

As he watched her make her way across the Hall, Harry could see Hagrid at the staff table, clapping wildly, his enormous dustbin-lid-sized hands smacking together over and over. Oblongata was beaming from ear to ear, obviously thrilled that a member of her house had been chosen to represent the school. McGonagall was only just smiling, but Harry could see the tremendous pride in her eyes as she guided Ginny to the side room to receive her instructions with the other champions of the Cedric Diggory Memorial Interschool Tournament.




Although they couldn’t see the portrait hole through all the jubilant Gryffindors in the way, Hermione, Ron, and Harry knew that Ginny had entered when the noise level in the common room, already eardrum bursting, suddenly rose significantly to a mighty roar.

The three of them were sitting together by one of the fires, as far away from the others as they could get. During the long wait for Ginny’s arrival, many of their housemates had tried to lead them into the crowd and the celebration, but after getting rebuffed repeatedly, the other Gryffindors had given up and the trio had been left thankfully alone. They didn’t speak to one another, too wrapped up in their own thoughts and emotions. This proved too much for Hermione, however, and she soon asked the others what they were feeling. Getting only muttered monosyllabic grunts in reply, Hermione rolled her eyes.

“Honestly!” she cried. “You two are hopeless. It’s obvious what you’re feeling.”

“Yeah?” Ron challenged, tearing his eyes away from where he knew the portrait hole to be. “Tell us, then.”

Hermione drew a deep breath and announced, matter-of-factly, “You’re frightened and worried that Ginny being chosen as champion will put her in danger and she’ll get hurt. At the same time, you are pleased and proud that not only a Gryffindor, but a Gryffindor that you know and love, has been chosen to represent Hogwarts.”

Harry smiled to himself at her spot-on analysis, thrilled that he hadn’t had to try and articulate any of it.

Ron burst out, “How do you do that?”

Before Hermione could reply, they heard a quiet, “Hey.” Turning, they saw Ginny standing there, her hand raised in a slight wave.

“How was it?” Ron demanded.

Ginny exhaled heavily, one hand rubbing her temple. “All a bit of a blur, really.”

Hermione was watching the hand on the temple. “You all right?”

Ginny gave her a slight smile. “Tired. And I have a headache. Probably from holding my breath through most of it ...” She seemed to sense the unspoken questions from the others. “We were introduced to the judges and they told us about the first task. We don’t know what it will be yet, but it’s to take place in the Forbidden Forest. In less than a month.”

“November twenty-fourth,” Harry said, speaking for the first time.

Ginny nodded. “That’s right.”

Harry’s heart began to pound. “So soon,” he muttered. “That’ll go quickly.”




November flew by, as Harry had predicted. In what seemed like no time, the third week arrived and found Harry, Ron, Seamus, Neville, and Dean joining the seventh year Gryffindors for NEWT level Transfiguration.

“You’ve all had much practise,” Assistant Professor Granger was saying, “and become proficient with Transfiguring every day objects into other things, and back again. Now, not all matter can be conjured or produced from nothing. Does anyone know how many exceptions there are?” She looked hopefully at the group of students. Before she’d even finished her question, though, Ron’s hand had shot into the air. Her lips twitched at the corners as she glanced around the classroom. To Ginny and Harry’s immense enjoyment, Ron began frantically waving his arm.

“All right, Mr. Weasley,” Hermione conceded eventually. “How many?”

“Five,” he answered promptly. “According to Gamp, you cannot conjure things like food or money.”

“Quite right,” Hermione agreed, with a proud smile. “Take ten points for Gryffindor.” Her glance took in the whole class once more. “Let’s start with food. Although one cannot conjure it from nothing, we can Transfigure it if we have even a small amount. Can anyone tell us what we are able to do with it?”

Again, Ron’s arm shot towards the ceiling, to the amusement of the other students, who chuckled.

Harry leaned over to whisper to Ginny and Neville who were next to him, “Remind you of anyone you know?”

“Very well, Ron,” Hermione said, laughing with the rest.

With a smug grin, Ron recited, counting off the points on his fingers, “You can Summon it if you know where it is, you can transform it, and you can increase the quantity if you’ve already got some.”

Hermione was beaming. “Exactly!” she told him. “Take another ten points!” she added, to cheers from the class.

“Now,” Miss Granger continued, taking an apple from McGonagall’s desk. “Let’s begin with increasing ...”




Despite welcome snatches of levity in some of the lessons, the last days before the Tournament’s first task barrelled along. Harry felt a sickening anxiety which seemed to increase by the hour, a sense of ill-defined dread, deep in his gut.

With complete disregard for his uneasiness, the sun rose at precisely 8:11 on the morning of the twenty-fourth, dawning right on schedule. Its meagre warmth did little to dispel the frosty chill in the air.

“All spectators to their seats, please,” blared the magically-amplified voice of the Department of Magical Games and Sports head, Penelope Lainye, at precisely five minutes before nine o’clock. The sound echoed over the entire Quidditch Pitch to reach even the furthest end where the champions were standing anxiously in front of a large tent waiting for the task to get underway.

The small knot of friends and well-wishers surrounding the three champions began drifting away after the announcement. Ron and Hermione, with Harry at Ginny’s side, gave her one last hug before making their way to the stands. Harry was the last to leave, and he and Ginny were soon left alone when Giselle and Ivan entered the champions’ tent to await the call to begin.

“So, this is it!” Ginny said, with forced airiness, her attempted grin not managing to cover her nervousness.

“Yeah,” Harry agreed, his stomach churning horribly. He kissed her to avoid having to come up with more conversation. “Good luck!” he cried as he pulled away, his tone lighter than he felt. Ginny merely nodded and he turned away, his limbs suddenly heavy.

When he’d taken but a few steps, she stopped him. “Harry, wait!” she called, her voice shrill.

“Champions!” Ms Lainye’s voice carried over to them again. “It’s time. Join the judges at the table in the centre of the Pitch, please!”

The two other champions emerged from the tent and passed by Harry and Ginny without a glance.

Ginny was wringing her hands frantically as her eyes pleaded into Harry’s. “What am I doing?” she cried. “How could I be so stupid? I never should have put my name in. Mum was right. I should have withdrawn when I had the chan“”

Harry gripped her shoulders tightly. “Ginny, stop, listen to me. I’m afraid ... Of what you’ll have to face ... That you could get hurt. But the Goblet thought you were worthy to compete ... ” He cupped the side of her face in one hand. “And so do I.”

“Miss Weasley!” blared Ms Lainye again. “We’ll be needing you as well!”

“Thanks,” Ginny said softly, giving Harry one last kiss before she hurried off to join the others.




Harry had made it to the stands and dropped into an empty seat next to Ron and Hermione just as Penelope Lainye was beginning her announcement of the Tournament’s first task.

“ ... challenge the champions face,” she was saying, “will be a test of not only courage, but stamina and survival as well. Our three participants must demonstrate these skills in the Forbidden Forest. Each champion must spend no less than twenty-four and no more than thirty-six hours inside the Forest.

There were murmurs and sharp intakes of breath from the listening crowd. Harry exchanged nervous glances with his friends, the three of them knowing too well the dangers to be found within the Forest.

“Point values earned,” Lainye continued, “will be highest for that champion who comes closest to the upper time limit without exceeding it. No watches, clocks, or timepieces of any kind will be permitted to be carried into the Forest. In addition to the time constraints and general survival skills required, each champion is further expected to demonstrate his or her knowledge of magical creatures by emerging from the Forbidden Forest with one living, unharmed creature found within the Forest’s boundaries.” The crowd started whispering at this information and Lainye paused until they had quieted down again.

“Points will be awarded based on the size, Ministry of Magic classification category, and rarity of the creatures found.” Having addressed the crowd as much as the participants until this point, Lainye now turned to look directly at the champions. “You will be allowed to carry into the Forest only specific items, namely, the clothes you are wearing, your wand, and this allocation of food ...”

She indicated the table in front of her upon which had been placed a small canteen of water, bread roll, and a single apple. Harry and Ron exchanged a look of surprise. Hermione beamed, looking much relieved, and Harry knew she was confident that her recent Transfiguration lesson would not be wasted and that at least Ginny would not go hungry during her ordeal.

The relief was short-lived as within seconds, the judges had placed the water and food into small rucksacks, placed them on the participants’ backs, ensured all the champions had their wands with them, and the three of them were waving to the crowd and heading towards the boundary of the Forest.

Harry cheered and clapped with the rest, but he wondered if his stomach would ever settle back down to where it was supposed to be.
Chapter 16 - The First Task by cjbaggins
Harry had left the DADA classroom, headed down the main staircase to the ground floor, crossed the Entrance Hall, and was almost at The Lake before he realized that he was supposed to be in NEWT-level Charms right then. He sighed heavily as he reached the beech tree beside the Lake. Skiving was so much easier than pretending to pay attention to the professors when he felt as he did. He’d barely just survived the lesson he’d just assisted with, and couldn’t fathom now sitting through one of Flitwick’s technical lectures on the progression of various Charms through the ages, which had been the topic of the majority of the lessons in November. Hardly an engaging enough subject to keep his mind off his worry for Ginny. She’d only been gone five hours, but already Harry had imagined countless dangers that could have befallen her since she’d entered the Forest.

He reached down and scooped up a handful of small stones and began tossing them morosely into the water; the dread in his stomach growing steadily with each pebble he tossed. Of course, he thought bitterly, coming down to the Lake had probably been a stupid idea: all it did was remind him of the stolen hour the two of them had spent down here in Ginny’s fifth year. Allowing his memory of that time to torture him for a bit, Harry was unaware what was going on around him and was therefore startled by a tremendous splash as the Giant Squid suddenly reared up out of the water. Harry jumped back, away from the clearly annoyed creature, realizing he must have hit it with one of the stones.

Before he could think how to placate it, Harry heard movement to his left; Neville was hurrying up to him along the shore, his arms full of plants. “I’ve got it, Harry,” he called and quickly reached for a clump of tall stems at the water’s edge. Yanking them out of the water, he thrust them towards the Squid’s mouth. With a satisfied grunt, the creature accepted the plants and sank below the water’s surface once more.

“Thanks,” Harry said, gratefully.

“Don’t mention it,” Neville replied, rearranging the collection of specimens in his arms.

“Is that its favourite plant?”

Neville shook his head. “The Squid’s a carnivore. It likes to suck the beetles off the bottom of the stems, though.”

Harry nodded but didn’t reply. Chilly all of a sudden, he shoved his hands into the pockets of his school robes, and stared out across the Lake again, trying to remember what Ginny had been wearing as she’d entered the Forest and wondering if she would remember the spell to conjure a coat.

Neville peered closely at him for a few moments. “She’ll be all right, Harry,” he said eventually.

“You don’t know that,” Harry shot back, his tone accusatory.

Neville simply looked calmly at his worried friend. “Harry, you forget ... I’ve fought alongside Ginny more often than you.”

Harry was taken aback at that until he realized the truth of the statement. Just the year before, the two of them had done well holding their own against the Death Eaters controlling the castle.

“She’s strong,” Neville went on, “she’s clever, and she can think on her feet in battle. She’ll be all right, Harry.” He didn’t wait for a reply, but turned and quietly walked away.

Harry watched him go, wondering if he could let himself believe that.




Harry awoke with a start at about four in the morning, having only just managed to drift off at about two. Lying in the dark, staring blurrily at the underside of his canopy, he sighed audibly. Deciding he wouldn’t fool himself into believing he could fall asleep again, he snatched up his glasses and dragged his weary body from the bed.

A few minutes later, fully dressed, he settled himself into an armchair in the common room, ostensibly to work on some lesson ideas for after Christmas, but instead simply gazing into the fire the house elves apparently recently stoked as it was blazing merrily in the grate.

He must have nodded off after all, for he was awoken by the usual parade of Gryffindors stampeding through the room just before eight o’clock as they began their day. Many had the Task on their minds, as evidenced by the snatches of conversation Harry heard as they hurried past him on their way to breakfast.

Harry joined Ron and Hermione when they appeared, even though he had no appetite at all. They didn’t bother to speak much to him once they were seated at the Gryffindor table, knowing full well how anxious he was. After pushing some food around his plate for a few minutes, Harry looked up at both of his friends. “How long do you think it will be before they“”

He didn’t get to finish his question as just then Penelope Lainye’s amplified voice blared out across the Great Hall. “Your attention, please!” she cried. “One champion has been spotted nearing the edge of the Forest.”

The breakfasting students broke into excited chatter and many were on their feet even before Ms Lainye added, “Professor McGonagall has assured me that those wishing to make their way to the Quidditch Pitch for the first arrival will not be penalized if they are late for their first lesson.”

By the size of the crowd assembled in the stands a few moments later, it was unlikely that any student would be present for their first lesson of the day. As all of the professors seemed to be waiting alongside their pupils, it was probably just as well.

At just before nine o’clock, a few sharp-eyed individuals in the crowd cried out almost as one, “There! Over by the path!”

Harry knew instantly that it wasn’t Ginny; the champion heading out of the Forbidden Forest had hair that was much too blond to be on a Weasley’s head. He sighed despondently. Although the return of a champion other than Ginny would mean she would get a higher point value than at least one other competitor, Harry did not find this comforting.

Only mildly interested, he nevertheless watched as Ivan led a Jarvey into the middle of the Quidditch Pitch. Looking like an overgrown ferret, the animal was muttering to itself as it was persuaded to stop before the judges’ table for inspection. After telling Ms Lainye that she was ugly, and trying to spit on Ivan, it shook itself like a disgruntled cat, its eyes registering its contempt at the proceedings. Hagrid rushed up to examine it to ensure it was unharmed, and as the big man slipped a lead over its head, the creature promptly told him where he could stick the thick rope. After a brief consultation, the judges announced that Ivan’s point values would be determined upon the return of the other champions.




Giselle was the next to return, at about six o’clock. This prompted Ron to complain, as they all trooped out of the Great Hall for the second time that day, “Well, if they’re all going to interrupt a meal ...”

If the assembled students had been excited when Ivan returned, they were downright awed when they saw the creature that Giselle had found. She emerged from the Forest leading a young unicorn, and the jubilant cheers of the crowd for her return turned to ‘oohs’ and ‘ahs’ when they saw it. Its coat had changed with age and it was no longer golden in colour, but was the silvery-white of an adolescent unicorn.

The creature held no particular fascination for Harry, and with still no sign of Ginny, he turned to Ron and Hermione. “I’m going to find McGonagall. This has gone on long enough.”

He found her conferring with the judges and told her he needed to speak with her. She broke off in mid-sentence, looking surprised at his request and Harry realized that he had been rude in not waiting for her to finish her conversation before addressing her. She must have sensed his apprehension, though, for she didn’t comment on his behaviour, but immediately excused herself from the others and followed him.

When they were alone, Harry blurted out, “You have to stop this. She’s not back yet and“”

McGonagall held up her hand. “I know, Harry, I know how anxious you are, and indeed so am I. But we needn’t be, not really.” She must have known Harry was going to interrupt because she hurriedly continued, “There are safeguards in place.”

“Safeguards?” Harry echoed doubtfully.

“All of the champions had a Tracing Spell placed on them as they set off into the Forest, and at the time limit ...” She took out her pocket watch and glanced at it. “In less than three hours time, the judges, the staff, and I will be able to find her quite readily, I assure you.” Something had caught her attention in the distance and she added, “But that won’t be necessary.”

Harry frowned, puzzled. McGonagall pointed to a figure in the sky, heading for the Quidditch Pitch. “Because here she is now.”

Sure enough, Ginny was soaring down towards them all, astride a large Thestral. The animal landed more lightly than one would think for one its size, and as Hagrid rushed up to tend to the animal, Ginny dismounted, somewhat shakily. Her robes were muddy, the hem jagged and torn, and her temple sported the remnants of a large gash. It was no longer bleeding, but was raw-looking and still partly-covered with dried blood.

The gathered crowd once again roared their approval, even louder than before, but Harry, sprinting past McGonagall, didn’t hear anything. Before he could reach Ginny’s side, he was pushed away by Madam Pomfrey who examined her carefully. She led the young woman to the champions’ tent to tend to her injuries. It was only later, once the scores had been announced and the crowd had drifted off to a late meal, that the trio had time alone with Ginny.

As they sat with her on one of the beds in the tent, they were all eager for details about what had happened in the Forest. Ginny sighed. “Well, you’re all going to be disappointed as it wasn’t very interesting.”

“Not interesting?” Ron cried. “How could it not be interesting? You just won the First Task!”
“But how did I win?” Ginny shot back.

Ron shrugged. “The Thestral.”

“The unicorn that Giselle found gave her a higher creature score,” Hermione added, “but since you returned last, you were allotted more points.”

“No!” Ginny said sharply, and winced. Her hand went to the cut on her temple. Madam Pomfrey had repaired it, but it was obviously still tender. “I mean,” she went on, more quietly, “how did I win when I didn’t do anything?” She sighed heavily. “I headed into the Forest, knowing that there had been some unicorn babies born a few months ago “ you remember Hagrid had told us?” They nodded. “Well, I stuck to the path, knowing in which general direction the unicorns had been when Hagrid had last seen them. I spent the majority of that first day walking, stopping only to eat when I was too hungry to keep going. I had Transfigured the food I had the first time I stopped to eat, to make sure I’d have enough for the entire time.” She paused to smile at Hermione, who beamed at her.

“After I ate, I would keep walking. It was evening, about twelve hours from the start, when I was startled by something. It was dark and the Forest was starting to get frightening with the sounds of Merlin-only-knows what creatures when I heard something, I don’t know what, but it had sounded like it came from the sky. When I looked up, I tripped on a branch or something on the ground. The last thing I remembered was seeing the steep hill in front of me and then starting to fall headlong down it.” Hermione sucked in her breath and Ron put his arm around her, although he kept his eyes on his sister.

“Go on,” he urged.

“Well, I must have been knocked unconscious because when I came to, it was late morning and very cold. I was dizzy and hungry and my head was bleeding. There was something warm and wet on my face but it wasn’t the blood from the cut. It was a tongue, and it was rough, like sandpaper. When I opened my eyes, I saw a Thestral standing there, and realized it was licking the blood from my face. It was alone and once I was less dizzy, I saw that it was hurt as well. One of its legs was cut. I bandaged it up as best I could with parts of my robe. We stayed together until late afternoon while we both regained our strength, and then I asked it to fly me back here. I didn’t know it if would understand, but it must have. I had no idea what time it was, what the others had managed to do, or what my points would be. I was just concentrating on staying alive and finding my way back.” She looked at her friends imploringly. “How could I win? How did I get the most points when I didn’t do anything? It was just plain luck!”




The atmosphere was jubilant in the Gryffindor common room that night. The place was packed, music was blaring, students were dancing, the Butterbeer was flowing freely, and at regular intervals, at least one Gryffindor would either call for three cheers for Ginny, or else a chorus of ‘Weasley is our Queen’ would burst from the crowd.

As Harry waded through the party-goers, Ron and Hermione following in his wake, he was eager to find the guest of honour. Ginny had barely touched her dinner and without a word to any of them had promptly left the Great Hall shortly after it had begun. Harry had presumed she was looking for some peace and quiet and he thought grimly that she wasn’t going to find it in this room, the noise level, if possible, having increased dramatically in the few moments since his arrival.

As the trio made their slow progress across the room, Harry was amazed that people he had never spoken more than a few words to kept coming up to him and extending their hands or thumping him on the back and saying things like, “Well done, Harry!” (As if he’d had anything to do with Ginny’s win) or, “Great woman you’ve got there, Potter!” He accepted the comments and handshakes in the good-natured way they were offered but when the last congratulatory student had turned back to the celebration, Harry muttered to Ron and Hermione, “Did you hear that lot? Like I own her or something,” before scanning the room for Ginny. He thought he caught a glimpse but the crowd had swallowed her again before he could be sure.

Vaguely, he heard Hermione say behind him, “Isn’t that sweet, Ron? What he said ... Wasn’t it romant“”

“Don’t say it,” Ron snapped at her. “Don’t even say it.”

Harry turned just in time to see the hurt look creasing Hermione’s forehead. It was gone the next instant, however, and, her eyes flashing in anger, she retorted, “Well, you don’t have to shout, Ronald, I was just “”

“I know what you ‘just’,” Ron replied hotly, “and you know something? You might be brilliant, Hermione, but sometimes, you don’t know anything!” With that, he strode away, soon disappearing into the knots of people filling the room.

“Couldn’t have waited one month ...” Harry muttered to himself.

Or, rather, what he thought was himself until Hermione rounded on him and demanded, “What did you say?”

But Harry had spotted Ginny, breaking away from a group of admirers and heading, alone, for the fireplace furthest from the crowd. With a brief, sympathetic pat on Hermione’s shoulder, he left her with her face displaying equal parts anger and shock, and headed over to his fiancee.

He could hear Hermione spluttering behind him, but he couldn’t explain now, he had seen the look on Ginny’s face and thought he had a pretty good idea from where it came. She looked like he’d felt after escaping from the cemetery the night Voldemort returned, after destroying the Philosopher’s Stone, after destroying the diary-Horcrux, after he’d evaded hundreds of Dementors the night he’d met Sirius, all the events of his life when he had somehow managed to survive.

Figuring she probably didn’t desire much conversation at that particular moment, when he reached the settee Harry merely took a seat beside her without a word. They both stared into the fire for a few minutes.

It was Ginny who spoke first. With an impatient gesture, she shook her head and asked, “Why do they do that? Why do they act like I’m the big hero when all I did was manage not to die?”

“I know,” Harry agreed. “It’s like that though. Was for me anyway. These things always tend to“”

“Seem cooler than they really were,” finished a voice behind them and they both turned to see Ron standing there.

“Everyone thinks its gotta be all clever moves and flashes of brilliance,” Ron went on, “but when it comes right down to it, it’s really just sheer, dumb luck.”

“He’s right,” Harry put in, “it usually is. And he should know ...” he added with a glance at Ron, who grinned. Harry knew that they were both thinking of the day Ron had saved Harry’s life and claimed the Sword of Gryffindor. Ginny didn’t speak right away.

“Thanks,” she said eventually. “That did help. Loads.”

“Good,” Ron said. “Now, just a quick snog with this bloke and then off to bed.” He turned and, adroitly avoiding the punch Harry threw, laughed and strolled back to the celebrating Gryffindors.

Harry was suddenly reminded strongly of George.




“I’ve had enough,” Ginny whispered to her friends across the table at breakfast the next morning. They nodded their understanding. The number of students congratulating her on her win had not lessened since the night before. It had been difficult for her to eat while receiving expressions of praise and accompanying slaps on the back. “I think I’ll head over to Herbology early.”

Neville got to his feet as she did. “I’ll walk with you,” he said. “I told Pomona I’d check on the Venemous Tentacula. It’s been acting strangely lately and is looking rather more pink than red. We think it picked up an infection from the ...”

Neville’s voice faded away as they two of them headed for the door. Harry grinned to himself at Neville’s extensive knowledge of plants and herbs as he stabbed his fork into a fifth fried tomato. He was in exceptionally high spirits; Ginny was back safe and well, the next task wasn’t for another three whole months, and Ron and Hermione had evidently made it up since their spat the night before. Life was good.

He was still chewing when he heard a tentative voice behind him. “Um, Mr. Potter, sir?”

Surprised, Harry turned to see a tiny first year, practically trembling where he stood. Harry smiled at him as he swallowed his mouthful. “Yes?” he answered, as gently as he could. “What is it?”

“Um, I have a message, sir.” The boy chanced a glance at Ron and Hermione but looked even more nervous than before. With a gulp, he fixed his gaze on Harry again. “From Professor McGonagall.” With a shaking hand, he held out a folded piece of parchment which Harry took from him.

“Thank you,” Harry said. He had barely finished the words before the boy gulped again and fled back to the safety of the Hufflepuff table. Harry and his friends watched, bemused, as the youngster was greeted at his own table by a group of equally small students who now regarded their housemate with visible awe.

“So what does McGonagall want?” Ron asked, as they turned their attention back to their own table. Harry shrugged and opened the note.

“Doesn’t say much,” he told them. “Just to meet at her office. He tucked the note into an inside pocket of his robes and stood up. “I’ll go now. Might be important.”

He headed out after Neville and Ginny who were, he was surprised to see, still near the door. As he approached them, he realized why: Ivan, the Durmstrang champion, was speaking to Ginny, his back to Harry.

“ ... ingenuity and courage. Miss Weasley, you are a worthy opponent.” Ivan bobbed his head in an abbreviated bow.

Looking slightly embarrassed, Ginny smiled and thanked him.

“A worthy opponent and escort,” he added. “Would you do me the honour of accompanying me to the Yule Ball next month?”

Ginny’s embarrassment deepened, and her cheeks flushed. “Thank you,” she began hesitantly, “I’m flattered. I really am. But I’m seeing someone. Um, I’m engaged in fact.”

Ivan glanced quickly at Neville. “Oh,” he said, awkwardly.

Ginny caught sight of Harry for the first time and quickly looked away, trying not to laugh. “Yes,” she went on. “You might have heard of him. His name’s Harry Potter.”

Harry shifted his position slightly so he could see Ivan’s reaction. The young man’s eyes widened ever so slightly and he gave her another little head bob. “The only worthy choice for such a woman,” he murmured before turning and walking away.

Harry drew up to her and smirked. “I see your suitors are starting to line up ...”

Her eyes twinkled mischievously at him. “Mmm ...” she said, pretending to think about it. “I guess that’s competition for you, isn’t it?” She turned to where Ivan had retreated to the Slytherin table. “Of course, maybe I should have taken him up on his offer. It’s not like anyone else has asked“”

Harry reached out abruptly and clasped her waist to pull her to him. “You’ll go with me.”

Ginny pulled away slightly and raised her eyebrows. “Is that an order?” she snapped, her eyes no longer twinkling.

He leaned in so only she could hear as he whispered, “No. A plea.”

“Oh. In that case ...” she replied. “My answer’s ‘yes’.”





Harry stood directly before the new gargoyle outside of McGonagall’s office and announced, “Harry Potter to see Profess“”

“I know who you are Harry Potter,” the gargoyle said, cutting him off. “The headmistress is expecting you.” He slid sideways, revealing the staircase beyond. Harry stepped onto it, wondering what it was that McGonagall wished to see him about.

“Ah yes, Harry,” she responded after he’d knocked and gained entrance to her private sanctum. “I won’t keep you. I realize you have lessons with which to assist. I just wished you to know that despite the delay since your petition, the staff and I have decided to honour your request.”

Harry’s confusion must have shown on his face for McGonagall quickly added, “To place Professor Snape’s portrait in here.” She gestured to the spot behind her desk, and looking at the place she’d indicated, Harry could see that Snape’s portrait had indeed been placed where he’d requested, next to Dumbledore’s. The two inhabitants of the portraits were conversing quietly together, neither looking at Harry, so he turned his attention back to the headmistress.

“Thank you, Minerva,” he said simply. “If you could pass on my thanks ...?”

“Certainly, Harry.”

He glanced up at Snape’s portrait again, wondering if he should say anything, if there was anything to say, but the former headmaster was still talking with Dumbledore.

“Enjoy your day, Harry,” McGonagall said, and Harry caught the slightly dismissive note to her tone.

“You, too,” he replied, and turned to leave. Before he’d reached the door, however, he heard his name. Glancing back, he saw Snape had ceased his conversation with Dumbledore, and his familiar black eyes were now fixed intently on Harry’s.

“Potter,” Snape began, “the Dark Lor“” He stopped. “Riddle ... never understood why I did what I did, why I was loyal to Dumbledore, why I could never betray the memory of“ ” He stopped and cleared his throat.

When Snape continued, Harry was surprised that the other man’s eyes had softened, ever so slightly. “I don’t think he was ever able to understand. I am ...” He paused again and Harry knew he was searching for just the right word.

“ ... grateful that you are.”

Harry didn’t know what to say. He could tell that Dumbledore was beaming in his frame, but chose not to look at him. Instead, he simply nodded to Snape, and headed from the room.
End Notes:


Author’s Note:
Well, it’s been a long wait (I can’t believe it’s been 4 months!), but I hope the length of the chapter helps to make up for that. The next chapter is already written, so stay tuned!

The information about the creatures I used were all taken from the series and from Ms Rowling’s book, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
cj
Chapter 17 - Yuletide by cjbaggins
There was less than a quarter of an hour before the Yule Ball was to begin as Harry sat on his bed on Christmas Day and finished fastening his dress shoes. When he had straightened back up, he gasped audibly at the sight of Ron’s reflection in the mirror across the room. His friend looked as if he’d been attacked by a werewolf, or at least a Kneazle gone mad “ deep, raw scratches covered most of his cheeks and chin, some extending down onto his jaw and neck.

Harry hurried to his side. “What happened to your face?” he demanded.

“Well, I was shaving, wasn’t I?” Ron retorted, his ears and the parts of his face that were unmarred flushing a bright red.

“With the Sword of Gryffindor?” Harry cried. “The Shaving Charm’s not supposed to harm you. It just shrinks the hairs! It looks like you used Sectumsempra on yourself.”

“I know,” Ron moaned, staring at his reflection with disgust. “What am I going to do? I can’t go down there like this.”

“Well, why didn’t you just heal it?” Harry asked, puzzled.

Ron raised his wand hand to show Harry how much it was trembling. “Tried that, didn’t I?” he said. “Just made it worse.”

Harry shook his head and taking pity on him, drew out his own wand and promptly performed the simple first aid spells to get rid of the ugly gashes. As he worked, he marvelled at how agitated Ron was. Although Harry knew the cause of his friend’s anxiety, he never imagined that he would be, literally, shaking in his shoes.

“There,” he said, stepping back to admire his handiwork. The cuts were almost completely healed, with just the slightest of pink lines visible where the deepest scratches had been. “Now,” Harry went on, “where did you put it?”

Ron was still staring into the mirror, warily eyeing the results. With a shrug he began tugging at his tie, trying to get it to form a recognizable bow. It didn’t work. Harry smacked his hand away to tie it for him. Seeing that Ron was making no indication of ever responding to his question he prodded, “Well?”

“Well, what?” Ron replied.

Harry exhaled forcibly, trying to maintain a degree of patience. “Where’s the ring?”

“Oh, right ...” Ron patted the front of his dress robes for a few seconds before a look of absolute terror fell across his face. “It’s gone!” he screamed. “Where’d it go? Where is it?” He frantically scanned the floor then flew across the room to rip back the hangings on his bed, tearing apart the covers in a desperate search.

Harry clamped a hand on his shoulder to halt him, then calmly raised his wand. “Accio engagement ring!” he commanded and instantly the little velvet box holding the precious item soared out from under Ron’s bed and flew over to Harry, who snatched it out of the air and tucked it into one of the outer pockets of his robes.

Just then Neville entered the room, resplendent in his own navy blue dress robes. He was attending the Ball with a very pretty yet dreadfully-clumsy seventh year from Beauxbatons. She had been the one girl who had not danced at the opening ceremonies upon the delegation’s arrival at Hogwarts. After seeing her around the school, tripping over specks of dust on the ground and inadvertently crashing into people at inopportune times (such as when both were on a long flight of stairs), Harry and Ron hadn’t needed to ask why.

Neville drew up to the other young men and beamed at them both. “It’s all in order, Ron,” he said. “Got the ring?”

Harry passed it over without a word.

Neville pocketed it before saying, “I’ll set everything off as soon as I see you enter the garden.” At the look on Ron’s face he added, “Don’t worry, I’ve put a identifying sensor on the garden perimeter. It’ll alert me instantly when you and Hermione head through the trees.” He consulted a list in his hand. “Well, I think that’s everything. So I guess I’m off,” he announced. “Mustn’t keep Debula waiting ...” He turned and strode from the room without waiting for a reply. “Enjoy the evening,” he threw over his shoulder as he disappeared through the door.

Harry watched him go before turning back to his friend to see that he had turned an awful chalky colour. Ron burped loudly. “Going to be sick ...” he gasped, and ran for the door.



Later, Harry couldn’t believe the change. Ron looked remarkably calm, and well, as he twirled around the dance floor with Hermione, the faint marks on his face no longer visible in the candlelight flickering down upon them all in the Great Hall.

Harry didn’t realize he had been staring until his attention was diverted back to his own dance partner when he felt Ginny’s breath on his ear and she whispered, “You’d better just be admiring the Tinting Charm I put on her hair. Otherwise, considering the amount of time you’ve been watching her, I just might have to get jealous.”

Ginny’s eyes were dancing with amusement when Harry slid his gaze back to her. “Tinting Charm? What?”

Ginny lifted her eyes to the magically-enhanced ceiling before nodding her head towards Hermione. Harry followed her glance and noticed, for the first time, that there were auburn accents intermittently streaked throughout Hermione’s usually-uniform brown hair.

“Oh. Auburn,” Harry remarked. “Suits her.”

“I gather you weren’t watching her, then?” Her eyes were laughing at him again.

Harry shook his head. “Your brother.” Before she could make a joke, he quickly added, “He was so nervous earlier, he was actually shaking. And he might have been sick. He’s like a different person now.”

Ginny pretended to think deeply about it. “Perhaps,” she mused, “after Hermione flew down the dormitory stairs, saw the bunch of flowers he’d conjured for her, and in gratitude snogged him senseless in front of half the Gryffindors, it loosened him up a bit ...”

Harry laughed. “Could’ve had something to do with it.”

“Why was he so nerv “” Ginny began.

“Speaking of which “”

They shared a quiet smile for speaking at the same time. Harry was somewhat relieved when Ginny, apparently disregarding her own question, asked, “Speaking of what? Flowers? Or snogging?”

Harry’s grin was sly as he tightened his arms around her. “What do you think?” he retorted and kissed her before she could reply.

When they eventually came up for air, it was only to discover that the waltz had ended and they were now the only couple on the dance floor still in each other’s arms. With a sheepish glance around, they broke apart, Ginny murmuring something about having to use the loo. Harry offered to get them something to drink while she was gone.

As Harry poured the drinks a few moments later, he saw Ron and Hermione step off the dance floor and make their way over to the refreshment table; Hermione’s face was flushed with pleasure and the exertion of dancing. She beamed at Harry when she saw him.

“Hi,” she said. “Having fun?”

“Yeah, I am. You?”

Harry watched as Ron solicitously passed her a glass of pumpkin juice without a word which she took eagerly, peering at him closely for a moment or two. “Very much,” she finally answered Harry, and he thought he could detect in her tone just the slightest hint of surprise.

Ron downed a glass of juice himself before asking, “When you’re finished, did you want to dance some more, or take a walk outside?”

Hermione finished her drink, too, and considered the question. “A walk,” she replied. “Might hurt my feet a little less.”

With a nod, Ron relieved her of her glass and offered his arm. Again, Hermione peered at him but he seemed not to notice. Harry, knowing full well Ron’s reason for suggesting a walk, tried to catch his eye, but his friend’s gaze remained fixed on Hermione, and Harry could only watch as Ron led her towards the doors.

Harry shrugged, and picking up his two glasses, went to find his date.




As Ron guided Hermione through the doors of the Great Hall and into the Entrance Hall, he felt the cool evening air wafting in through the open front doors. Steering Hermione to the cloak check area, he claimed her wrap, placed it gently around her mostly-bare shoulders, and led her out into the night.

Descending the main stone steps of the castle, the two of them had a clear view of the elaborate garden Professor Sprout, Neville, and the seventh years had created in honour of the occasion. Over 300 feet long and fifty feet wide, it was smaller than a Quidditch pitch but not by much. It was oblong-shaped and so thickly-treed that it gave the impression upon first entering of stepping into a forest. Once inside, though, that illusion was gone and all you saw were the flowers. Ron wasn’t sure if he could name even a few of the species surrounding them, but he did know the Herbology students under Professor Sprout’s direction had outdone themselves.

Impeccably-trimmed hedges, whimsically-shaped bushes, overflowing beds of the most exquisitely-formed blooms “ every artfully-designed feature was breathtakingly-beautiful. The colours were dazzling: vivid reds, blazing oranges and yellows, brilliant blues and purples; and the fragrance, even the slightest inhalation guaranteed the sweetest of olfactory sensations as the blooms’ aromatic delights filled the air. But it was the sound Ron couldn’t get over: he could just discern the faintest tinkling of bells, barely resonating on the edge of audibility, as if the very air surrounding them was chiming. Each sigh of the evening breeze causing the blooms to sway and sending their soft jingling into the night. Ron didn’t think he had ever seen, or heard, anything more beautiful, even the air was warmer within this enchanted space.

He turned to Hermione to see her reaction and the look on her face told him she was just as enthralled as he. “Ron,” she breathed, awestruck, “it’s so lovely.”

He reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze. “Yeah. It is.” Facing her, he brought his hand up to cup her cheek. “About as lovely as you.”

Her snort of objection was lost as he bent down and his mouth descended on hers. A few moments later, Hermione’s face flushed once more, he straightened up, just in time to see Neville approaching.

“Oh, Neville,” Hermione cried, “the garden is wonderful! Everyone did such a beautiful job.”

He smiled at her. “Glad you like it,” he said simply, but Ron could see the pleasure that had lit his features at her words.

“Well, good night,” Neville murmured, as he passed on Ron’s left. Unseen by Hermione, one of his eyes closed in the slightest of winks. Ron, placing a hand behind his back, shot his friend a thumbs up before turning his attention back to Hermione who had just seen something else.

“Oh, Ron, look!” she squealed. Directly in front of them was a bower, formed completely from entwined tree branches and vines, and housing a small white marble bench, made for two. As they watched, the pale pink blossoms festooning the sides of the structure swirled briefly and changed from their original arch shape to a large, rosy heart.

“Oh, Ron,” she said again, “isn’t it“ It’s ... It’s so ...” Still astonished, her voice trailed off, unable to complete the thought.

Not able to stop the grin splitting his mouth, Ron remarked, “Rather romantic, wouldn’t you say?”

Hermione wheeled around to face him. “Ron? Did you“”

“C’mere,” he said, cutting her off and grasping her hand again, his own trembling ever so slightly. It was now or never. He led her to the bench and motioned for her to take a seat upon it, which she did, but promptly opened her mouth to speak.

“Shhh...” he murmured, “I wanna get this right.”

Her forehead creased in confusion, it was clear that she was dying to ask questions, but somewhat surprisingly, Ron thought, she held her tongue.

“Now,” he began, “I’ve already had a chat with your dad ...”

“With my dad?” Hermione repeated, obviously unable to stifle the query, her forehead creasing again. “But why“” She broke off abruptly as Ron shook his head at her.

“So that just leaves ...” His voice trailed off and, still gripping her hand tightly, as much for emotional support as anything else, he lowered himself to one knee before her, his heart pounding madly in his chest.

With a gasp, Hermione’s free hand flew to her mouth, comprehension dawning on her startled face.

At the sight, Ron’s heart thumped even more insistently, somewhere near his Adam’s apple, making him wonder if he would be able to force any words out past it. He swallowed hard and took a steadying, though somewhat ragged, breath.

“Hermione,” he said, plunging in, his eyes on the hand in his. “Oh, blimey, wait. I almost forgot...” Releasing her hand, he stood and, reaching into his robes for his wand, he drew it out, and tapped one of the flowers above them. It broke free of the others and floated down to them. Directly in front of Hermione, it seemed to blossom before her, opening to reveal an engagement ring nestled inside.

Hermione gasped again but before she could speak, Ron had plucked it from its bed of petals and, dropping to his knee again, held it out to her. “I’ve been mad about you for ages, Hermione.” He paused to look up at her and saw that she was smiling at him. She was gripping his free hand with both of hers.

“Since the day we met, I’d reckon, although I would never have admitted it back then. But all that time, I didn’t think you could ever fall for a git like me.” He could feel her give a little squeeze at that. He squeezed back.

“But you did. I still don’t know how. But you did. And that ...” He swallowed thickly again, letting out a self-conscious laugh.

“We fight,” he went on, “about everything and anything ...”

“Oh, honestly, Ron, how can you say that?” Hermione interrupted. “We don’t. Not really.”

“Oi!” Ron cried. “Could you let me finish here, Woman?”

“Ron!” Hermione shouted, giving his shoulder a shove, but she was laughing.

“Right, where was I?” he asked, feigning exasperation. “We never fight, then,” he continued, the sarcasm obvious, and glowered at her from under his fringe.

She stuck out her tongue in response.

Ron glared again, and made a big show of clearing his throat before continuing, “So, what do you say, Hermione? Will you marry“”

She had flung her arms around his neck, nearly knocking him backwards and almost sending the ring flying, before he’d even finished the question.

“For goodness’ sake, Ron,” she said, “you know I will.”


It was some time later before the two of them made their way back to the Yule Ball. Hermione was admiring the ring, now on her left hand, as they strolled towards the castle, arm in arm. The setting was simple, yet elegant: a single pearl, surrounded by six tiny diamonds.

“Why a pearl?” Hermione asked.

Ron stared straight ahead, his face unreadable. “Well, you do know how they’re made, don’t you?”

“What d’you mean?” Hermione was frowning again.

“You know ... a grain of sand or dirt gets into the oyster and irritates the hell out of it, until it makes a“ OW! Blimey, Hermione. That hurt!”

“Good,” Hermione said, looking vindicated, having just pinched him, hard, on the arm. With a smirk, she lifted the skirt of her dress, quickened her pace, and flounced to the stairs of the castle three steps ahead of him.
Chapter 18 - The Second Task by cjbaggins



Harry hurried down the corridor outside of Transfiguration, and reached the door of the classroom, just as McGonagall was about to step through it.

“Professor!” he called.

She stopped and turned to him. “Potter. I’m late for my lesson. As are you, I believe?”

“Yeah, sorry,” he admitted. “It’s just ... I wanted to ask you ... would it be all right if, for some of my lessons this first month, I had some of the students help me?”

“I think that should be acceptable, Harry,” McGonagall agreed. “See to it that I get a list of the students who will be assisting you, and for which days in January, and I’ll make sure that the other professors know not to expect them at those times.”

“Brilliant,” Harry said. “Thanks, Professor.”

“Don’t mention it.” When Harry continued to stand there she added, “And, Harry?”

“Yes, Professor?”

“Get to class.”

“Right.” He looked sheepish. “On my way.”




As the fifth year Gryffindors filed into the classroom a few days later, Harry couldn’t help but smile. He mused to himself that each house’s students had a sort of group personality. The Slytherins were reticent and inclined to be resentful of the fact that a Gryffindor may know more than they about the Dark Arts. Harry remembered having to refrain from remarking, when one particularly disdainful student had argued with him about the value of learning the Disarming Spell, “Well, it worked against you lot!”

The students from Ravenclaw always caught on quickly to the lessons, which Harry found gratifying, but their in-depth analyses about strategy and endless questions about alternate scenarios got a little much after a while.

Harry did enjoy teaching the Hufflepuffs who were, as a group, diligent and eager to please, but it was the no-nonsense, action-oriented Gryffindors he appreciated the most. He looked forward to their lessons more than any others.

Today was no different, Harry thought, as the students settled into their desks. And since he was to be assisted by some of his friends for this particular lesson, he couldn’t wait to begin.

“All right, Class,” Harry remarked once everyone was in their places, “we’ve lots to cover today.”

The students were watching him with eager anticipation. The Gryffindors enjoyed the lessons as much as Harry did.

“You’ve mastered simple hexes and the Disarming Spell, today we are working on Shield Charms.” He beamed at Ginny. “Miss Weasley, would you join me, please? I will need you to cast your Bat Bogey Hex.”

She made her way to the front of the room, her face clearly expressing her doubt. “No offense, Professor (the others smirked), but I don’t believe your Shield Charm is fast enough for me.”

The class muttered to themselves, wondering if they should laugh, or if their teacher would be offended by such a comment. Harry simply grinned widely, however, as he assured her, “I’ll be fine. I actually won’t be casting it.” He glanced toward the rear of the room. “Mr. Longbottom, if you please?”




Occupied with unwrapping a large, honey-coloured toffee, Harry didn’t notice the flames until they’d nearly singed his eyebrows. Dropping the toffee on the snow-dusted pavement, he turned indignantly to Ginny who was still exhaling smoke.

“Watch it!” he shouted. “You nearly got me that time!”

“Sorry,” Ginny said quickly, dropping the wrapping from her Pepper Imps into a bin as she passed it.

But seeing the mischievous glint in her eye, Harry realized that the near miss was actually deliberate.

“So that’s how it is, is it?” he said. Nonchalantly taking out another toffee from the packet in his hands, he secretly removed his wand from his pocket at the same time and casually flicked his wrist. Immediately, tiny icicles formed on Ginny’s face, hanging from her eyebrows, nose, and lips, a look much more suited to temperatures well below zero than the pleasantly-mild winter’s day it was.

At the murderous look in her ice-framed eyes, Harry quickly assured her, “There was still some fire left. Didn’t want you to get burnt or anything.”

Before she, too, could reach for her wand, he grabbed her wrist in his hand and drew her to him. “But maybe I can help you melt those ... ” he suggested before leaning closer to kiss her.

It was February 14 and the two of them had just left Honeydukes, their pockets bulging with their favourite treats. Danger to his facial hair notwithstanding, Harry was finding this Valentine’s Day so much more enjoyable than the one he’d spent in Hogsmeade with Cho.

It wasn’t long before the thawing was complete. “Truce?” Ginny asked.

Harry nodded quickly, knowing full well that if he pushed his luck, he’d end up with exploding bonbons shoved up his nose. “Fancy a drink at the Three Broomsticks?”

“Sure,” Ginny replied and they set off across the street. “But you’re buying,” she told him, rubbing her nose. “My face is still cold!”




Having headed back to the castle early, Harry and Ginny climbed through the portrait hole to find the Common Room empty. A few moments after they arrived, however, they saw Hermione and Ron descending the staircase leading from the girls’ dormitories.

“Well, well, well,” Ginny remarked, grinning.

Harry didn’t say anything, but raised a silent eyebrow at Ron.

Before Ron could respond, Hermione, her cheeks pink, quickly told them, “I was just showing him something in our room.”

“I’ll bet!” Ginny smirked.

Ron shot her a withering look. “For my Muggle Studies lesson on Monday.”

Harry glanced at the normal-looking staircase behind them. “You must have figured out the spell for deactivating the steps,” he said to Hermione.

She shrugged nonchalantly. “Simple Transfiguration really.”

“You’re going to share the spell with me, aren’t you?” Ginny wanted to know.

“Well,” Hermione began, “all you “”

“No bloody way!” Ron cried, cutting her off. “She doesn’t need to know.”

“Oh, that’s nice,” Ginny snapped at him. “You get to visit Hermione any time you please, but Harry can’t visit me?”

Without a word, Harry and Hermione drifted away as Ron shouted back at her and a full-blown row began.

“Good time at Hogsmeade?” Hermione asked Harry once they were far enough away to hear each other.

Harry nodded. “Rosmerta says hello.”

Hermione peered at his face. “Is there something wrong with your left eyebrow?”

Harry touched the spot with his fingers. “Probably,” he replied, bemused.

Hermione smiled knowingly. “Pepper Imps?”

“Yeah,” Harry agreed.

They were interrupted when they heard a noise at the portrait hole and they looked over to see a young female Gryffindor entering the Common Room. She approached them a bit shyly.

“Ginny Weasley?”

Still rowing with Ron, Ginny nevertheless turned at the sound of her name.

“Yes?”

“There’s a meeting,” said the girl, “for all the champions. It’s about the next task.”




Ginny filled them in at dinner. In between bites of chicken and peas, she repeated what she’d learnt at the meeting.

“It’s on February 24,” she told her friends, “and while the first task was all about magical creatures, survival, and endurance, this one will test our knowledge of Ancient Runes, Muggle Studies, and seeking assistance.” She looked thoughtful. “I’m not sure what that last one is about yet,” she admitted.

Hermione was beaming. “Ancient Runes?” she repeated. “You’ll do well, then. I’ve spoken about my lessons so often, you know all about them. I can lend you my books as well.” As she reached for a chicken leg, Ginny pulled a face at Ron and Harry. Harry realized that Ginny must have tuned out Hermione’s constant chatter as much as he and Ron always had.




On the morning of the second task, a howling wind outside the dormitory window woke Harry and he was worried in case Ginny would have to wander about the grounds on such a day. When he’d dressed and he and Ron had joined the girls in the Entrance Hall “ with what looked like the entire school “ Penelope Lainye put his mind at ease as she described the task.

“Champions, judges, professors, spectators,” she announced heartily in her amplified booming voice, “it is with pleasure that I give you the details of this second task of the Cedric Diggory Memorial Inter-School Tournament.” She paused when a spattering of applause swept through the Hall. “This task,” she went on a few moments later, “will be a sort of scavenger hunt throughout Hogwarts. Each champion will be given a list of items, written in Ancient Runes, and the participant who returns with the most complete set by the deadline time of six o’clock this evening will be declared the winner.”

She paused again and looked down at the desk she was standing behind. She leafed through some pieces of parchment on the desk before addressing the crowd again. “As Miss Weasley is naturally better acquainted with this school than the visiting champions, she will be given a time handicap to help ensure a fair task for all. Mr. Averyanov and Miss Banquise will be permitted to begin their search at promptly nine o’clock,” Lainye glanced at the clock in opposite the front doors, “ “ in ten minutes time “ while the Hogwarts champion will be delayed for two hours until eleven. In addition to the items on the list, all champions will also be required to gather an object from each of the Hogwarts house common rooms. As these rooms are protected by passwords, the contestants will need to seek assistance from others in order to complete their task. Miss Weasley should take note that the Gryffindor password was changed immediately after her departure this morning. Only a handful of Gryffindors are privy to this new information. All of the champions will have to discover which Gryffindors they are.” She glanced down at her notes again.

“As the champions will be seeking assistance, I would like to remind all Hogwarts students and staff that if anyone comes to you for help, that you are honour-bound to do so.” Her face grew uncharacteristically grim. “I believe we all learnt that lesson while fighting against He Who Must Not Be Named.” She cleared her throat. “If the champions have any questions about the task, they may ask myself or the judges“ ” she indicated the professors and other men and women seated at the desk, ““ after receiving their list of objects. Good day everyone, and good luck, champions!”

She lowered her wand from her throat and sat down at the desk, and the assembled students began murmuring at once about the task.

Luna made her way over to Ginny and commented, “It’s a shame you didn’t pay more attention to Hermione all those times when she talked about Ancient Runes. Of course, she does tend to go on a bit ...”

Ginny chuckled at the remark, but there was an edge to her laughter that Harry guessed came of truly regretting not having paid more attention when she had the chance.

Fortunately, Hermione was at the judges table conferring with Bathsheba Babbling (Hogwarts’ Ancient Runes professor) and so had missed Luna’s comment. She soon hurried over, a sheet of parchment in her hands which she passed to Ginny.

“There’s your list,” she said. “There are powerful anti-cheating spells all over it, so no one can help you to translate anything, but you should be fine.”

Ginny glanced down at the list, and Harry noticed the creases in her forehead as she tried to read through the items. He looked over her shoulder to look at the list himself. He couldn’t make any sense of most of it. Before he could comment about it, though, he heard his name. He turned to see Fleur’s sister, Gabrielle, heading towards him with the Beauxbatons champion in tow.

“Morning, ‘arry.” Gabrielle flashed him a wide smile. “Zees is Giselle. Giselle, this is ‘arry Potter.”

The champion put out her hand. “ Pleased to meet you, ‘arry.” Harry nodded at her and clasped her hand, wondering vaguely if she expected him to kiss it.

“Giselle was ‘oping that you could ‘elp ‘er with zee Gryffindor common room,” Gabrielle told him.

Harry was taken aback. He looked over at Ginny still poring over her list. He had wanted to stay with her until she began the task. Remembering Lainye’s words, though, he tried to smile at the visitors. “Right. I suppose I can help you with that.” He leaned over to Ginny and kissed her on the cheek. “Good luck,” he murmured before leading the others away. “This way,” he called over his shoulder. He figured if he got rid of them quickly, he would still have time to get back to Ginny. As they headed across the Hall, and up the long staircases on the way to Gryffindor Tower, though, he realized that he had no idea what the new password was; he wasn’t one of the few who had that privileged information. He sighed to himself. This was going to take longer than he thought.





He was right. By the time he had found a young prefect who had been told the new password, and shown his charges where to find the common room, Harry felt as if he and the Beauxbatons girls had been all over the castle three times. It was almost eleven o’clock when he raced back down to the Entrance Hall, hoping to be able to see Ginny before she began her task. He knew he was out of luck, though, when he saw Ivan with a couple of his Durmstrang school mates heading toward him in the second floor corridor.

The champion himself was peering at the list in his hand as he walked, and didn’t notice Harry, but one of Ivan’s companions caught sight of Harry and nudged his friend. He spoke in urgent whispers, in what sounded to Harry like Russian, before Ivan met Harry’s gaze. “Harry Potter,” he said in his oddly formal manner. He gave Harry one of his little abbreviated bows. “How nice to finally meet vith you.”

Harry shook hands for the second time that morning. “Need help finding the Gryffindor common room?” he asked, resignedly.

But Ivan shook his head. “No. Not vith that. Miss Veasley and Miss Granger vere most helpful.” He held up a magical photograph of some young Gryffindors seated in chairs beside a fireplace inside the common room. Harry wondered how Ginny and Hermione had learnt of the new password. “I am needing assistance vith another matter.” He showed Harry his list, which didn’t make any more sense than it had when he had looked at Ginny’s. “I need to get a book from the Restricted Section,” Ivan went on. “You are a professor, I believe?”

Harry nodded. “An assistant really,” he clarified, “but I can sign for permission, if you like.”

Ivan smiled; Harry thought it looked odd on the serious young man’s face. “That vould be excellent.”




After not only signing a piece of parchment for Ivan to use as permission, but going all the way to the fourth floor to show the champion and his friends the location of the library, it was well past eleven, and Harry knew that Ginny would be already seeing to her own list of objects. As he set off again down the various staircases, though, he saw her coming towards him with Luna.

““ for all your help,” she was saying to her friend.

“Don’t mention it,” Luna replied. “I enjoy helping.” She caught sight of Harry. “Oh, hello, Harry,” she said vaguely.

“How are you doing?” he asked Ginny.

She rolled her eyes at him. “Awful. I know to get something from each common room, but that’s only because that announcer woman told us that!” She waved the list at him. “I understand only one thing on here and “ Oh! I forgot. Do you have a torch? Hermione and Dean don’t.”

“Yeah, it’s upstairs in my trunk.”

The three of them turned to head back in the direction of Gryffindor common room. Ginny grumbled on the way. “I wish I’d translated ‘torch’ sooner,” she complained. “Would have saved a trip.”

Harry grinned. “Yeah, I heard. Spending time with Ivan, were you?”

Ginny shot him a withering glance. “Waste of time,” she muttered. “Although, I suppose I did want to get Hermione’s books, and we had to find out the password anyway for me to get in.”

“How did you find it out? Eager new prefect?”

Ginny shook her head. “Dennis, actually.” She glanced down at her list again. “I just wish I knew what it all SAID.” She grimaced. “I’ll have to hole up in the library and see what I can decipher, and pray the others don’t do it faster. I don’t know when I’ll have time to go to the other two common rooms, though.”

“At least, when you are in the library you can get the“ get the“ the“ ” He stopped. He had started to say ‘book from the restricted section of the library’, but the words just wouldn’t come out. Too late, he realized that he was prevented from doing so by the powerful anti-cheating jinxes on the parchment Ginny held in her hands.

She was looking at him strangely. “Never mind,” he said. “Guess I can’t say. Must be an object you need to translate.”

Ginny was looking thoughtful as they headed up the last flight of stairs to the west tower. “But it’s something in the library ...” she muttered to herself. “I might have some luck with that ...”

Harry hoped so. He didn’t know how the Beauxbatons champion had been doing since he’d left her and her friend outside the Gryffindor common room, but Ivan had looked like he was carrying a number of objects with him; apparently he had a good working knowledge of Ancient Runes.





Ivan had been doing well. So well, in fact, that he was the first one finished the task. The afternoon had barely started when the announcement came that the Durmstrang champion had returned with a complete set of items from the list. Disappointed for Ginny’s sake, Harry made his way down to the Entrance Hall to watch the proceedings. Once again, it appeared that the entire school had shown up.

The champions were clustered around the judges’ table, having their items counted and verified. Harry managed to squeeze his way closer in order to hear what Professor Babbling was saying to Ginny.

““ ten points apiece that only brings you to forty, my dear.”

Harry could see the crestfallen look on Ginny’s face and wished he could change the situation. Hermione was pointing at the list in the judge’s hand.
“But, Professor,” she argued. “Ginny has this one too ...”

Professor Babbling glanced up at her assistant. “A symbol? I didn’t see it anywhere.” She glanced at the small assortment of items in front of her. “A Muggle credit card and torch, and photos of the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw common rooms.” She looked at Ginny. “Where is your symbol, then, dear?”

Harry noticed how intently Hermione was looking at her friend, and realized that Ginny had not understood the Ancient Runes for that object and Hermione was attempting to help her increase her mark, however slightly.

Her forehead creasing briefly, it soon cleared, and Ginny raised her left hand to the judge. “My ring,” she said. “My engagement ring is a symbol.”

The professor smiled at her as she picked up her quill. “Of what?”

Her cheeks slightly pink, Ginny replied, “Of love. And Gryffindor house.”

Nodding, Professor Babbling wrote down the added points. “A total of fifty for you.”

Ginny mouthed the words, “Thank you,” to Hermione as she turned away from the table.
Hermione beamed at her, pleased with her cunning.

Ginny spotted Harry and he put his arm around her as the judges began conferring with the representative of the Department of Magical Games and Sports. Before Harry could say anything, though, the short conference was concluded and Penelope Lainye’s amplified voice rang out through the Entrance Hall.

“I am pleased to announce the results of this second task,” she told them. “In first place, having brought in all 12 items including four objects from the common rooms, a book from the Restricted Section in the library, a saucepan from the kitchens, five Muggle items, and a symbol, a full 120 points goes to the Durmstrang champion, Ivan Averyanov!”

The visitors from Durmstrang erupted into cheers and applause, smacking their champion on the back and chanting his name over and over amid polite clapping from the others present. It went on for quite some time before Ms Lainye could be heard again.

“In second place, with 80 points, Miss Banquise from Beauxbatons!”

Harry barely noticed the cheering this time; Ginny had stiffened beside him and he saw the look on her face as they waited for the announcement of her score.

“And in third, Miss Weasley, with 50 points.” Ms Lainye paused for the acknowledgement of Ginny’s score, but she soon continued when it was obvious there was only a smattering of applause for her. “That brings our grand totals for the two tasks so far to 250 for the Hogwarts champion, 260 for Beauxbatons, and a whopping 270 points for Durmstrang! Congratulations, champions!”

The reception of this news was tremendous. The closeness of the score gave all three schools reason to cheer their champion enthusiastically. Amid the noise and the chanting of her name by her fellow Hogwarts students, however, Ginny slipped out of Harry’s embrace, and struggled through the crowd to escape the Hall and its mass of celebrating students.

Harry watched her go, confused.


End Notes:
Author’s Note - after a huge life break, I am back and determined to finish this fic! I have 5 chapters left to post, 3 of which are completed already. Unfortunately, those 3 are at the end, so I still have 2 to write that take place next. Bear with me, I will get through this! Thank you for your patience!
Chapter 19 - Fear, Flowers, and Forgiveness by cjbaggins



“Okay, Professor,” Ginny complained. “What am I doing wrong this time?”

Having been observing her carefully, Hermione told her, “You’re snapping your wrist too much ...” She let her voice trail off as she continued to watch her friend’s unsuccessful attempts to Transfigure a box turtle into a compact cardboard box.

Ginny lifted her wand again, experimentally rolling her wrist a few times. Hermione glanced over at Harry and they exchanged a look.

It was late evening on the first of April, and the three of them were in the common room, concentrating on their often-neglected NEWT level skills.

Despite the time that had elapsed since the second task, Ginny’s mood had not improved since her poor showing and she struggled with lessons that were well within her ability.

Harry met Hermione’s gaze and shrugged at her. He had no better ideas than she about how to help Ginny.

Frustrated at another failed attempt, Ginny tutted loudly at the turtle staring at her from the table, and flopped back in her chair.

“Your wrist was better that time,” Hermione said.

Ginny looked at her, but didn’t reply.

Harry could see Hermione take a deep breath before she said, “But I think that your trouble with the spell has less to do with that. And more to do with ... well, with how you’re feeling.”

Ginny eyed her suspiciously. “What do you mean?” she demanded, immediately defensive.

“Well,” Hermione said, slowly, “you haven’t been yourself lately. You’re not as ... confident ... as you used to be. Before the ... erm ... before the“”

“Go on,” Ginny challenged. “Say it. Before the second task.”

“You’re not still going on about that task, are you?” Ron asked as he came up to the three of them. “It was well over a month ago!”

Ginny glared at her brother. “Easy for you to say.”

“But it’s over. You can’t change it now.”

“I know that, but the next task isn’t. What if I can’t do that one either? What, then?”

Hermione shrugged. “You’ll lose,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Don’t be so calm about it!” Ginny shouted at her. “How can you say that?”

“Because it’s just a game,” Hermione reminded her.

Exasperated, Ginny turned to Harry who had been sitting quietly up til then. “Is that how you felt in the Tournament?” she demanded angrily.

“No,” he admitted, “it isn’t.” Ginny shot a look of triumph at Ron and Hermione.

“But things have changed since then,” Harry added. “You do badly in the task, and you’ll lose points. We lost loads more than that in the battle last year.”

Ginny dropped her gaze, embarrassed. “I know that, Harry,” she said softly, “I do. But it doesn’t change how I feel. I still feel like a failure, like I’ve let everyone down.”

Before anyone could protest, a loud tapping came from the window. An owl, decorated with maroon stripes, was standing on the sill, banging its beak against the glass. Closest to the window, Ron got up and unlatched it, swinging it wide to allow the owl to soar in. It landed on the arm rest of Hermione’s chair and clicked its beak at her. Startled, Hermione undid the letter from its leg and with a flap of wings, it was gone, retreating back out the window. Ron closed it again.

Opening the letter, Hermione read it aloud:

Dear Hermione,

When I saw the bouquet you’d sent, my first thought was how considerate you were to remember my birthday. But then when I removed the wrapping from the flowers and the whole thing exploded into little bits of confetti, I knew it was much more than that.

So many people did not know how to acknowledge my birthday now that my twin is no longer with us. Hats off to you for a brilliant and perfectly executed idea! Fred would have loved it as well.

And thanks to everyone else as well, as their names were on the card before it disintegrated. I know it was your ingenuity that pulled it off, though.

Cheers,
George


Harry, Ron, and Ginny stared at their friend in disbelief.

“You remembered my brother’s birthday?” Ron asked, surprised.

Hermione shrugged nonchalantly.

“And you sent an exploding bouquet from all of us?” Ginny wondered aloud.

Hermione nodded.

“That was brilliant!” cried Ron.

“It was,” added Harry. “Thank you.”

Hermione smiled at their praise. “I thought we should mark the day somehow. It seemed the only suitable way.”

Ginny, quiet all of a sudden, plucked her wand from the table, got up from her chair, and walked over to the fireplace. Without speaking, she raised her wand, and muttered to herself. Immediately, a piece of parchment sailed down the girls’ dormitory staircase and made its way over to her. Clutching it in her hand, she turned to the others, showing it to them. Harry could see that the paper was another letter from George “ the one he had written to Ginny when he’d discovered she’d put her name in for the tournament. Harry could just make out the upper-case letters of the missive: “Give 'em hell, Ginny”.

“George,” she said, shaking her head. “I don’t know how he does it. How he even gets up in the morning sometimes, how he puts one foot in front of the other, after what happened.”

She glanced at the turtle still sitting on the table before looking at her friends. “You’re right. It is a game.” She pointed her wand at the animal. “But that doesn’t mean I can’t do my best.”

With a flash, the turtle was gone, and in its place was a small, compact cardboard box. With a nod, Ginny turned on her heel, and marched over to the staircase, and up to bed.

Watching her go, no one spoke until Ron broke the silence with a cry. “Where on earth did McGonagall get box turtles?”





“Ready to go?” Harry asked, getting up from the table. His friends nodded, as they pushed their breakfast plates away and stood as well.

“If I could have a moment?” Oblongata called, heading toward the Gryffindors. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny paused and turned to the professor. Neville and Seamus looked up from the last bites of their meal as well.

Oblongata took a seat at the table, gesturing to the others to do the same. After they had sat down again, the professor sighed heavily. “I need a favour,” she admitted. “A big one,” she added.

The others all replied quickly that they would be willing to do anything.

Oblongata smiled ruefully at them and told them not to be so hasty. “You haven’t even heard it yet,” she pointed out.

“Well, we won’t know until you tell us, Mel,” Hermione pointed out matter-of-factly.

The professor smiled at her. “Do you remember,” she began, “ when I mentioned that many former Slytherins and Death Eater supporters had been seeking pardon and requesting to be allowed to return to work in the Wizarding World?”

The others nodded.

“Well, while I have been ably assisted by my former colleagues at the Ministry, including your father,” Oblongata nodded at Ginny and Ron, “and Dean has proved invaluable to me, there are turning out to be more requests than we are able to process. Each individual who asks pardon is required to demonstrate that they are willing and able to work or live alongside Muggles and Muggleborns, and that they are no longer a threat to those around them.” She sighed again.

“I was wondering if one of you would mind meeting with one such former Slytherin who is seeking to complete a mini Muggle Studies course in order to prepare for the Ministry’s required examination and interview process.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad,” Ron remarked.

“Yeah,” Neville agreed, “what would we need to do?”

“Following a lesson plan that I would provide,” Oblongata replied, “you would simply see that all points were covered. I would do it myself or get Dean to, but as we are scheduled to travel to London the day after tomorrow to meet with Ministry officials, we won’t be able to.”

“I think one of us should be able to handle that,” Ginny remarked.

“Depending on who it was,” Seamus put in.

“Yeah,” Ron agreed with a laugh. “I wouldn’t do it for Malfoy.” Seamus smirked and nudged Ron in the side.

The professor was sorting through the pieces of parchment in her hand. “Malfoy?” she asked. “That name does sound familiar ...

“Count me out, then,” declared Ron quickly.

“Me, too,” Seamus said. “I wouldn’t help that git if you paid me.”

Hermione and Ginny exchanged doubtful glances.

Harry didn’t comment. He was watching Oblongata’s face carefully. He had a feeling ...

Sure enough, when Oblongata had found the parchment she’d sought, she announced the name they all dreaded, “Yes. The name here is a Draco Malfoy.”

Hermione looked apologetically at the professor. “I’m afraid we have too much history...” she told Oblongata.

“Me, too,” Ginny added as Neville nodded in agreement.

Oblongata shook her head sadly. “I understand,” she said, getting up from the table again. “Some of these former Death Eaters don’t realize the harm they have caused in the past makes it very difficult for us to help them now. This ...” She glanced at her paper again. “ ... Malfoy ... will have to wait until I return from the Ministry.”

As she turned to go, Harry startled them all by remarking quietly, “I’ll do it.”

Taken aback, Oblongata asked, “Are you sure?”

Amid the muttered remarks from his friends, Harry nodded.

“Yes.”




Oblongata’s airy, light-filled office was located in Gryffindor Tower, and overlooked the Black Lake. It was there, seated comfortably at the professor’s spacious cherry wood desk and watching the sunlight twinkle on the surface of the lake, that Harry waited for Malfoy. It wasn’t long before a brisk knock sounded on the door.

“Come in,” Harry called, turning from the window to face the door.

Draco looked older than his years, the skin around his eyes prematurely-lined. The white-blond hair and chiseled features were still the same, however. Harry was pleased to see the usual arrogant sneer was surprisingly absent.

Draco’s eyebrows rose slightly when he saw who was seated at the desk. “You,” he said. “Figured you’d be the last person who’d work with me, Potter.”

“I was,” Harry replied dryly.

Draco glanced around the office as he remarked, sardonically, “No one wanting to work closely with a former Death Eater? Can’t imagine why not.” His eyes slid back around to the desk. “Why’re you different, I wonder?”

“Two reasons,” Harry told him, leaning back in Oblongata’s chair, his eyes more on the bookcases lining the wall opposite than on the other man. “Mel needed someone. As a favour to her, I agreed.”

“Mel?”

“Professor Oblongata.”

Draco nodded slightly. “And the other reason?”

“No one else knows what I know. No one else saw what I saw.”

The tiniest crease appeared in Draco’s pale forehead. “Meaning?”

For the first time, Harry’s eyes met Draco’s. “When I could see into Voldemort’s mind last year, I witnessed what he did, saw what you had to watch, what you were forced to do.”

Harry could see that Draco’s jaw had clenched, and he suspected that the other man was recalling unpleasant memories.

“And I saw how much you hated it,” Harry added quietly.

Draco cleared his throat before giving Harry a stiff nod in acknowledgement of his words.

Suddenly feeling awkward, Harry reached for the parchment Oblongata had given him. “Right,” he said, with forced briskness, and beckoned Draco into the visitor’s chair across from him. “Mel’s left me a list. Let’s begin with her first item: ‘Common Words and Phrases Muggles Often Use ...’ ”


Chapter 20 - Interlude by cjbaggins
Harry glanced at the next question on the list from Professor Oblongata. He and Draco had spent a couple of sessions together since the first time. While not in any danger of becoming fast friends, they had begun to tolerate each other’s presence without wanting to curse the other into oblivion, which Harry supposed was progress.

“And if you violate these principles?” he asked.

“Immediate dismissal from a Ministry position, and possible legal ramifications,” Draco replied promptly.

“Exactly,” Harry agreed. He looked back at the parchment in his hands. “And that’s all of it.”

“I’m finished?”

“That’s right.”

“So, what happens now?”

“Well, you sign up for the Ministry’s examination and interview process.”

“And then I’m eligible for positions with the Ministry?” Draco demanded.

Harry caught the slight desperation in Draco’s tone, and wondered if things had not been going well financially for the Malfoys since their Death Eaters days were over. He put it out of his mind, though. He had done his part to help the Malfoys, he certainly wasn’t prepared to do anything more. Answering the question, he nodded. “That’s right, you’d be eligible to apply.”
He couldn’t refrain from taunting Draco a bit, and with a smile he added, “And just think ... you might end up working for Arthur Weasley.”

Draco’s eyes widened slightly, a haunted look flashing into them briefly. Recovering quickly, though, he swallowed hard, cleared his throat and stated, “That would be ...” His jaw clenched. “... acceptable.” He rearranged his features into what Harry guessed was meant to be a smile, but it ended up looking more like a demented yawn.

Harry grinned at him. “And if you can say that without the grimace, your examiners might actually believe you.”

Draco narrowed his eyes at Harry, but didn’t reply, which Harry thought was wise. Standing, Draco gave Harry a curt nod. “Thank you for your time, Potter.”

Harry stood as well. “Like I said, it was a favour“”

“For Mel,” Draco said, completing the thought. “I know.”

He headed for the door of Oblongata’s office, but stopped before reaching for the handle. He paused in front of it for a moment, as if thinking of something. Without turning, he remarked, “You said before that you saw what Voldemort did. What he made me watch ...”

“Yeah,” Harry agreed, wondering where the conversation was going.

“He wasn’t the worst, you know.” Draco glanced over his shoulder, his eyes meeting Harry’s.

“Bellatrix was.”

Without warning, Harry was back in the dungeon of Malfoy Manor; Hermione’s screams sliced through him as Ron clawed frantically at the walls sobbing in frustration and agony.

Harry forced himself back to the present. “Yeah. I imagine she was.”

“Is ... uh ... Is she ... okay?”

“Hermione’s fine,” Harry assured him. After another short pause, Draco let himself out of the room without another word.




As Harry hurried across the lawn to greenhouse two, late for N.E.W.T. level Herbology, he pondered Draco’s surprising concern for Hermione. Although atypical for Draco, he thought he understood. No matter your history with or personal feelings towards someone, when thrown into a life or death situation, things change quickly as what’s important becomes very clear. Harry himself had experienced this with Draco after Crabbe had unleashed the Fiendfyre in the Room of Requirement, and Harry had flown back to save Draco. And although he had never discussed it with her, Harry figured that Hermione had felt the same when she had saved Lavender Brown from Greyback in the Battle at Hogwarts. Despite his dislike of Hermione, Draco obviously had not relished witnessing the pain she’d experienced under Bellatrix’s torture.
I guess we’re more alike than any of us would care to admit, Harry thought ruefully to himself.

He was saved from further speculation as he drew up to the door of the greenhouse. Quickly passing through it, Harry located Professor Sprout across the room and headed over to speak with her.

“Sorry I’m late, Professor.”

Sprout, checking over a seventh year Hufflepuff student’s progress, glanced up at him. “Not to worry, Mr. Potter, not to worry,” she assured him briskly. “The headmistress had mentioned you had a prior engagement.” She pointed at a back table. “Your friends have already begun. They’ll be able to fill you in on today’s assignment.”

Harry made his way to the back of the room, passing small groups of seventh year Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs as he went. He was greeted by Ginny, Hermione, and Ron who all glanced up from their perusal of a huge plant sitting in front of them. Sporting large tightly-closed pink buds surrounded by dinner plate-sized leaves, it took up almost the entire work surface of the table.

“We’re pruning Alihotsy plants,” Ginny informed him as he took his place with them. “But they’re tricky. They keep blooming prematurely.” To illustrate, she haphazardly snipped off part of a bud. It immediately blossomed into an bright orange, umbrella-sized flower.

“And then we have to reverse the process before we can proceed,” Hermione added. She suited her actions to her words by tapping the gigantic blossom with her wand and changing it to a bud again.

“It’s mental,” Ron put in, the expression on his face clearly indicating his displeasure with the assignment. “It’s taken forever to prune just two shoots!”

As Hermione consulted the Herbology text to search for any possible hints regarding the proper method of handling the Alihotsy plant, Ginny glanced at Harry.

“So, how did your lesson go?” she asked. “It was the last one, wasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Harry replied. “It was all right.” His forehead creased a bit as he recalled his earlier conversation with Draco. “You know, I think Malfoy’s changed. He’s not the“ ”

“That git change?” Ron cut in. “Not bloody likely. Death Eaters don’t change. They just get sneakier so they don’t get caught.”

Hermione glanced up from her book. “We changed,” she said quietly. “Why do you think he wouldn’t?”

Before Ron could reply, Professor Sprout’s voice carried over to them from the other side of the room. “Well done, Miss Abbott!” she declared. “Best Alihotsy pruning I’ve seen in years!” She glanced across the room to find her assistant. “Mr. Longbottom! Come and have a look at this.”

Neville dutifully hurried over to the small cluster of Hufflepuffs to admire Hannah’s work. She looked at him expectantly. He smiled broadly at the job she’d done.

“Wow, that is good! Your Herbology work has really improved these past few months.”

Hannah beamed up at him, her face flushed at the praise. “You keep it up,” Neville continued, “and you’ll do very well on your NEWTs.” He smiled at her again before turning his attention to the next student’s work.

As Ginny and Hermione returned to their own barely-begun plant, they grinned at each other.

“I didn’t know Hannah was so keen on Herbology,” Harry remarked.

Ginny smirked. “Not Herbology she’s keen on,” she retorted.

“It’s not?” Harry asked. He looked in Hannah’s direction again. “Then why is she so interested in “” He broke off, seeing Hannah’s eyes closely following Neville’s movements as he made his way around the room.

“Oh,” he said simply, smiling at the girls.

“ ‘Oh’, what?” Ron demanded. “What’s she keen on?”

“What do you think, Mr. ‘Twelve-Fail-Safe-Ways-to-Charm-Witches’?” Hermione shot back.

Neville?” Ron spluttered. “She’s keen on him? Whatever for?”

Ron!” chorused Hermione and Ginny.

Before anyone could extol Neville’s virtues, Professor Sprout bustled over to them.
“Haven’t made much progress here, have we, Group?” she remarked, eyeing the pruning tools lying abandoned on the table.

The friends couldn’t very well argue with her, seeing as their barely-pruned plant had been sitting forgotten as they chatted.




A quarter of an hour later, they all thought themselves lucky. Sprout had not forced them to continue with the pruning task, but instead had gotten them to clean up the greenhouse and given them a written assignment to make up the marks.

Leaving the greenhouse with Neville, they were surprised to see Hannah waiting on the lawn. She looked a little taken aback that he was walking with the others, and Harry presumed that she had wanted to speak with him alone.

She didn’t seem fazed for long, though, and after greeting them all, she spoke directly to the Herbology assistant. “Um, Neville,” she said, “I’ve been having trouble memorizing that chart of plants and their uses for the next test. Would you mind reviewing it with me?”

“Not at all,” he replied, “are you free last period?”

“I am,” Hannah assured him, smiling broadly again.

Without a word to the others, they set off across the lawn together. After they were gone, Ron mused aloud, “Do you think we should talk with him? Let him know her feelings? The git probably thinks she’s just interested in her lessons.”

“I’m sure Hannah will find a way to let Neville know,” Ginny stated confidently.

Her prediction proved true. The two young people were seen together around the castle often after that, their heads bent over a book or plant, or strolling through the grounds hand in hand. None of the friends were surprised, therefore, when they approached the Gryffindor common room one evening, and saw the new couple locked in a tight embrace. The kissing pair didn’t notice the others, and no one said a word until they were safely out of earshot on the other side of the portrait hole.

“Told you,” Ginny smirked.
Chapter 21 - NEWTS by cjbaggins
Ginny and her friends weren’t the only ones to have noticed the new couple. It was obvious that the other Gryffindors were well aware of the change in relationship status of one of their own when Neville entered the common room later that same evening to applause and a chorus of cheers and wolf-whistles. His only response to the outburst was a quiet smile to himself as he made his way across the room, and up the stairs leading to the boys’ dormitories. His manner was nonchalant, deliberately so.

After a quick good night to Ginny and Hermione, Harry and Ron headed up the staircase after him. They found Neville in the otherwise empty dormitory, gazing out the window at the moonlit grounds.

– ‘Evening, Harry, Ron,” he said as they walked in, his back still to them.

–All right, Neville?” Ron asked.

Neville turned to them, grinning widely. –Never better.”

–Things going well with Hannah, then?” Harry said.

If possible, Neville’s grin widened. –Going very well,” he said, confidently, –Hannah’s- She’s so- She’s just so- ” He broke off with a shrug at his inability to articulate his thoughts. –I’m mad about her.” He rubbed the side of his face reflectively for a few moments. –Sometimes you just know, don’t you?”

It was Harry’s turn to smile. –Eventually ...” he remarked, sheepishly. He glanced over at Ron, who seemed preoccupied. –Of course, some take ages to suss it out.”

Neville chuckled at that before steering the conversation back to the young woman in his life. To Harry’s relief, Ron wasn’t really listening, and so hadn’t heard his comment.

–I don’t know,” Neville was saying, –why I never noticed how lovely she is, how brilliant, how sweet.”

–She is very- ” Harry began, but Ron cut him off.

–You know she’s not - ” he blurted out. –Hannah, I mean. You know, don’t you, that she’s not ... in Herbology ... she’s not really - ”

Neville turned shrewd eyes upon the other young man. –Ron, I may not be Hermione, but I like to think that I’m not completely daft.

–Of course I know.”





The remaining time before the third task was spent by all reviewing for examinations. Not only did Harry, Ron, and Hermione have to help the professors prepare the students for their OWLs and NEWTs, but they themselves were madly revising for their own.

As assistants, they felt the pressure to push their students to excel, annoyed by the dual distractions of warm summer days, and the building excitement over the upcoming task.

–Honestly!” Hermione exclaimed one evening in the common room as she let the pile of books in her arms tumble to the floor beside an empty armchair. She sank down into the chair and looked up at her friends. –Have they forgotten everything Minerva and I have taught them? I just had an extra session with a group of fifth years who couldn’t even Transfigure a matchstick into a needle!” She dropped her head into her hands. –If they’re not careful, they’ll get nothing above ‘Dreadful’on their OWLs!”

–Do you mind?” Ginny complained, looking up from her book. –Some of us are revising here!”

Hermione quickly apologised. Ginny sighed. –Me, too. It’s just - ” She glared at her brother. –One of the assistants has it in for me. Keeps giving detention.”

Ron didn’t meet her eye. –Well, if you’d hand in your assignments on time ...”

–They were extra-credit!” Ginny shot back. –Optional!”

Ron shrugged, his eyes focused on the book in front of him. –If you don’t want to do well ...”

Ginny’s grip tightened on her wand. She must have thought better about hexing him, though, and gathered her things instead. –I’m going to the library,” she announced. With one last glare for her brother, she was gone.

Harry punched Ron in the arm. –That was stupid.”

Ron shrugged again. –Just doing my job ...”

Ignoring him, Harry picked up his own things. –I’m going to join her,” he told Hermione.
She looked up from her Standard Book of Spells, Grade Seven. –And I’ll see if I can knock some sense ...” She looked sidelong at her fiancé, who was rummaging in his rucksack.

–He might be easier to get along with as a ferret ...” Harry suggested before he headed off after Ginny.

Hermione smiled to herself.

Ron sat back up. He frowned. –Ferret? What?”

Hermione pointed at the textbook in front of Ron. –Never mind. Just keep studying. You don’t need ‘Troll’ marks to match your behaviour.”




As soon as he entered the library, Harry wished he’d worn his Invisibility Cloak. When the younger students there saw him, they immediately clamoured around him to ask Defense Against the Dark Arts questions. Frustrated at this hindrance, Harry nevertheless responded to them as patiently as he could. It took many minutes before he was finally able to head further into the room to Ginny’s table. She had been watching his slow progress with amusement.

As he sat down opposite her, she smirked. –Give them your autograph, as well, did you?”

Harry shot her an annoyed look, but didn’t reply.

–Ron’s not joining us, is he?” she asked suspiciously as she returned her eyes to her work.

–No,” Harry assured her, –Hermione’ll keep him in the common room.” Taking his books out of his rucksack, he placed them on the table. –She might turn him into a ferret, too.”

Ginny didn’t look up from her parchment, but muttered, –Knew there was a reason I liked her...”

Harry grinned as he opened one of his textbooks.

It was much later before either of them spoke again. Ginny broke the silence when she slammed shut her Transfiguration text with a loud groan of frustration. Across the room, Madam Pince’s head shot up, and she glared in their direction at the noise.

–You know what bothers me?” Ginny asked plaintively.

Harry looked up. –Exams were cancelled for champions last time.”

She nodded.

Harry shrugged. –I guess that’s the difference with having McGonagall in charge instead of Dumbledore.”

Ginny pulled a face at him, before reaching for another book.




Circulating high above the Quidditch Pitch, Harry carefully scanned the area below him, but saw no sign of the Snitch. He soared over to his opponents’ hoops, hoping to catch a glimpse of it. He squinted in the bright afternoon sun, grateful to be at the altitude he was and not in the heat of the spectator stands far below. He thought he might just have seen something glint beneath the opposing Keeper’s right foot, when someone called his name. He glanced quickly around, but no one was in hailing distance. He frowned, confused.

–Harry!” Hermione called again. She shook his shoulder. –Harry! Wake up!”

He jolted awake; the Quidditch Pitch vanished abruptly only to be replaced with the Gryffindor common room. He sat up, dazedly, in his chair, the Potions books on his lap sliding to the floor. He rubbed his eyes behind his glasses.

–You done already?” he asked, still groggy.

She nodded. –It’s nearly twelve,” she informed him. –The others aren’t back yet?”

Harry shook his head. –Didn’t see them. But I wasn’t looking very hard, as you saw. They would have woken me up if they’d come in, though ...” He had gotten to his feet as he spoke and was now tidying up his things.

It was the first day of their NEWTS examinations. Harry had a day off, but Hermione, Ginny, and Ron had all done their first written papers that morning. Harry was supposed to have been studying.

–How did Ancient Runes go?” he asked as they climbed out the portrait hole.

–I’m sure I did well,” Hermione said, uncharacteristically confident. Before Harry could comment, she went on. –I’m more concerned with how Ron did in Muggle Studies. Ginny was well prepared, but Ron ...” She let her voice trail off. –It is his only year taking it,” she reminded Harry pointedly, as if he’d argued with her.

The two of them met Ron and Ginny about halfway between the examination room and Gryffindor Tower. Ginny, looking calm, was talking animatedly to her brother, who seemed more concerned with each second he listened.

–So, I mixed up the Muggle money questions, too,” he was saying. He noticed Harry and Hermione. –How do you keep pounds and pence straight?” he demanded.

–You must have done well on the transportation section, though,” Ginny pointed out. –At least you’ve ridden on buses and aeroplanes and underground tubs.”

–Tubes,” Ron corrected automatically.

–See?” Ginny shot back.

–I’m sure you both did very well,” Hermione said soothingly.

–Well, I did get the bonus mark about Hoovers,” Ginny conceded. –Hard not to, with Dad going mad about them at your house.” She looked at Hermione, and they all grinned, remembering Mr. Weasley’s enthusiasm.

As Ron asked Hermione about her own exam, Ginny turned to Harry. –How did your Potions revising go?”

–Not very well,” he admitted. –I fell asleep.”

–It was all that help you gave us late last night,” Ginny reminded him. –It was well past three when we finally went to bed.”

Ron nodded at that. –Thanks again, mate. You saved my neck, I’m sure.”

Harry acknowledged the thanks with a nod. –Let’s get to lunch,” he suggested. –You still have your practical this afternoon.”

Ron groaned as they headed down the corridor together. –Don’t remind me ...”





The following morning, they were all scheduled for their NEWT-level Potions written papers. After time had been called, the examiners were most likely surprised to see a group of students in exceptionally high spirits laughing loudly together as they made their way out of the examination room.

–Who would have thought?” Neville crowed in disbelief.

–I know,” Ron agreed. –It was brilliant!”

–It really was extraordinary good luck,” Hermione added, and everyone roared with laughter. She looked bewildered until she realized what she had said. –I just meant -”

–We know,” Ginny assured her. –It was very lucky. I really don’t think that the examiners would ever guess that a group of students would actually have first-hand knowledge of the effects of Felix Felicis.”

–They wouldn’t have included so many questions about it, if they did,” Luna pointed out.

Harry remained quiet. He was overjoyed at their good fortune, and was savouring the knowledge that he had, in all likelihood, just received a very high mark on the exam.

Hannah drew up to the little group. –What was all that noise about?”

Still grinning, Neville turned to her to explain.

Glancing at the three couples now before her, Luna remarked, –I suppose, without a boyfriend, I’m the odd one out again ...”

In the uncomfortable silence that followed, the others exchanged awkward glances.

–Let’s have lunch!” Hermione blurted out, the cheerfulness of her suggestion sounding slightly forced.




Still in good spirits, they ate heartily. As they were making their way through a assortment of iced cakes at the end of the meal, Neville turned to Ginny. –I never asked you about your Muggle Studies practical yesterday,” he said. –I presume you did well, you were preparing so much for it.”

Ginny nodded, as she finished a mouthful of sponge cake. –I had to log onto a computer, create a few files, before doing a simple Internet search. I then had to do some gardening. I was so glad I had experience with both!” She shot a grateful look at Hermione and Harry.

–Gardening?” Neville repeated. –How do they set that up? Like a Herbology practical?”

–More or less,” Ginny agreed. –They conjured up a small plot of earth with a mixture of different plants. I had to prune the area, and weed out the unwanted plants. Ron was lucky, he had to -”

–Speaking of Herbology ...” Ron cut in, before she could finish. –You will help us, won’t you?”

–Of course,” Neville assured him. –But let’s concentrate on this week’s exams first, shall we?” He turned to Hermione as they got up from the table. –Best guess as to possible Potions practical topics?”

–Try saying that three times fast,” Ron and Ginny muttered at the same time, as they headed across the Great Hall.




Their NEWTS for the rest of that week passed uneventfully enough; there were no more fortuitously easy sections, but nothing horrendously difficult either. Everyone did very well on both parts of the Defense Against the Dark Arts examination, Hermione even managing to produce a very good Patronus during her practical.

As Ginny and Hermione left the exam room together afterward, Ginny was teasing her friend about it. –I saw your Patronus floating around the room,” she said with a grin. –Wonder what happy thoughts you were picturing to conjure that so well?”

Hermione’s cheeks reddened, but she managed to answer quickly. –No question what you picture, Miss Weasley,” she shot back. –I see yours has changed to a doe.”

–It was always a deer,” Ginny retorted defensively.

–A fawn, yes,” Hermione agreed, –but not a full-grown doe the size of Harry’s stag!”

Ginny had no time to argue as the young men drew level with them just then.

–What was your Patronus doing strutting across the room?” Ginny asked, turning to Harry. –I would have thought that everyone knew by now that you can produce one.”

–I tried my hand at getting it to give a message,” Harry replied, –reckoned it would be worth some bonus points from my examiner.”

–Did it work?” Hermione asked.

–Not really,” Harry admitted sheepishly, –I think it told the other examiner that he was beautiful.”

As Ron guffawed, Hermione asked, straining not to laugh, –So, your stag went prancing over-”

–Emphasis on the ‘prancing’,” Ginny cut in, straight-faced, causing Ron to let out another bark of laughter.

–Yes, right,” Hermione went on, still trying desperately not to break down, –your stag pranced across the room and announced to a male examiner that Harry Potter thought he was beautiful?” She stifled a giggle. –I suppose the bonus marks went out the window?”

–Oh, I don’t know,” Ginny said, –Harry’s a good-looking bloke. Might have increased his chances ...”

She and Hermione both lost their composure at that point.

Harry simply glared at them for many minutes. –Are you quite finished?” he finally asked, stiffly.




As promised, Neville helped his friends with their Herbology revision. After the exam, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Harry were pleased with their efforts, not expecting to receive Outstanding, but confident that they had passed.

With Hermione’s assistance, the Transfiguration NEWT likewise came and went with the friends sure they had done very well.

After their last exam, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny left the castle after dinner together, feeling as if they hadn’t stepped outside in ages. The day had been a hot one, and the air was still warm, despite it being nearly half-past seven, and they all breathed deeply, relieved to have the tests behind them at last. Hagrid had asked them round to celebrate, and they headed down to his hut, Harry’s step lighter than it had been in weeks.

At least it was until Ginny commented, –With our NEWTS out of the way, the only thing to worry about now is the -”

–Last Task,” Harry finished for her, feeling as if a large weight had just settled in his stomach.

–It’s in three days,” Hermione remarked. –You still haven’t heard anything?”

–McGonagall told me earlier that there’s a meeting tomorrow morning before breakfast. All she said was we had to make a decision, and that there would be an announcement to the school.”

They didn’t have much time to mull over this information, as they arrived at Hagrid’s doorstep just then. Within minutes of knocking, they had been invited in, heartily congratulated on the end of their exams with immense slaps on the back from Hagrid (which almost knocked them to the floor), nearly licked to death by Fang, and seated at Hagrid’s huge table. Sipping tea from his massive mugs, the friends were now warily eyeing the cake Hagrid was proudly displaying.

–What do yeh think of tha’, then?” he asked eagerly.

When the four of them did not reply immediately, he must have sensed their reluctance, as he hurriedly assured them, –Not to worry, not to worry. Had some of the house elves give me some pointers. –Should be quite tasty-like.”

He looked so pleased with his efforts that they couldn’t turn him down. They were pleasantly surprised, though, to discover that it was, indeed, delicious, and very nearly moist, unlike Hagrid’s usual fare.

–This is good, Hagrid,” Hermione cried, her mouth still half full, and the others enthusiastically agreed, quickly offering their plates for seconds.

Hagrid beamed, but his expression soon turned serious, his black eyes filling with tears. –Wanted a special tea for you lot,” he told them, his voice cracking. –Yeh’ll be leavin’ soon ...” He hiccoughed, as tears started sliding down his cheeks.

They quickly assured him that they would always keep in touch, even when they had left Hogwarts, but Harry realized with a jolt that he would never again be living at the school, never again be within walking distance of his large friend. The thought left him with an empty feeling inside that he hadn’t felt since Sirius had died.

–DOWN, Fang! Yeh great stupid brute,” Hagrid bellowed, as the big animal pulled his front paws back off the table after snatching Harry’s second piece of cake off its plate. The big dog slunk off guiltily to a corner, wiping the evidence of his crime off his chops with his great tongue. Harry and his friends laughed at the boar hound’s antics, and even Hagrid grinned indulgently at the animal.


End Notes:

Before anyone tells me that Ginny's patronus is a horse, Ms Rowling never put that in the books, it was only in the movie. Just as we don't know what Neville's patronus is, we don't know Ginny's either, meaning we fanfic writers have free rein!

Please note, if anyone can find proof for me (and not just "wiki-answers") that Ms Rowling has said in an interview that she agrees with the choice of a horse for Ginny's patronus, I will gladly change my story.

Thanks!

cj

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75350