Deciding Factors by NikkiSue
Summary: This is my take on the day Bellatrix announced to her family her decision to join the ranks of the Dark Lord. In addition to that particular announcement, she also lets slip a detail regarding one of her sisters, forever shattering their close family bond.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2163 Read: 1925 Published: 12/02/07 Updated: 12/25/07

1. Broken Bonds by NikkiSue

Broken Bonds by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
This was originally written a few challenges ago for the Laugh or Cry prompt but never got submitted. I have never written a fanfic surrounding the Black family so it was a bit of a stretch to get it finished. Many thanks to Anna (Hermione Rocks) for beta-ing my story.

The cold and darkness outside matched the mood perfectly of the people inside the house. The inhabitants were composed of a family by the name of Black. They were a proud family of pureblood witches and wizards who were faithful to their heritage. The children were taught to embrace who they were, and follow by the example of their forefathers.

It was because of this idea that there was discord in the house. The three young sisters were in the midst of a heated discussion. Their mother was present as well.

“Bella, what news do you bring us today, dear?” her mother asked with pride. She knew the answer already, having been privy to finding out before anyone else had, but she was eager to share with the other members of the house.

The young woman who had been addressed was Bellatrix. She had long dark hair and a gleam of pride in her eyes. Nodding at her mother, she exclaimed, “The time has finally come for me to join the Dark Lord, Mother!” The girl had tears in her eyes as she looked at the people sitting with her. Narcissa was to her left and her mother was to her right.

Off in the corner of the room was Bella’s sister, Andromeda. Andy was a quiet witch who never really did anything to warrant ill will towards her from others. It annoyed her sisters to no end how much of a goody-two-shoe she had become. Her indifference to blood preference bothered them even more, and now Bella looked over to her sister with a look of pride after her announcement.

“Andy, come over here and help your sister celebrate,” their mother stated. It was not so much a request as it was an order, so the girl trudged slowly towards the happy group. She was not going to pretend that she was proud of the announcement. She saw the Dark Lord as no one more than a ruthless murderer and refused to think of him otherwise. She would most certainly never bow to him!

As she approached her beaming sister, she could not help herself when the tears began to fall. She brought her face close to Bella’s and grasped her sisters’ hands in her own. “Bella, I am begging you, please don’t leave us!”

Bellatrix watched as this pillar of strength crumbled before her eyes. For a brief moment she wanted to reach out and hold her sister until she was calm again. The moment of compassion soon passed and was replaced by fierce loyalty to the Dark Lord. “It is not my fault that you cannot recognise the right decision when it is staring you in the eyes, Andy.” She gently but firmly let go of the hands that were holding hers, and put her own hands back in her lap.

Andromeda’s face fell when her hands dropped towards the floor in their release. The words her sister had said echoed in her mind, and she couldn’t help but give a quiet chuckle. “The right decision, you say?” She laughed a bit louder. “The right decision, Bella “ are you crazy or just blind?”

Without waiting for an answer, she continued in her rant. “Wait a minute, that was an ignorant question, wasn’t it? You are choosing to follow the likes of You-Know-Who, so the question answered itself!” She threw her hands up in conclusion and shook her head as she looked at her sister.

Andy felt herself becoming light-headed at the thought of what Bella would be going through while in the service of a madman such as Voldemort. She loved her sister deeply, but knew the only way to get her to hear what she had to say was to be abrupt about it. Feeling her eyes swell with unshed tears, she knew she had to be forceful in presenting her feelings or Bella would never take the time to really listen her. She was so caught up in her new position as an up and coming Death Eater that she was blind to any other line of thought.

Narcissa had been sitting quietly during the confrontation and stood up. She approached her older sisters and tried to pull Andromeda away from Bellatrix. Seeing the look of fury on her mother’s face, she said, “The two of you just need to seperate for a while. You are going to hurt each other if you keep this screaming up!”

Bella had passed the point of reason once Andy dared to speak of her master in the manner that she had. ’How DARE she even say those things? We were raised to respect the ways of the Dark Lord, and she practically spat them in my face!’ she thought. Her insides began to fume with a fury she had ignored for some time and they manifested themselves in the form of a well-placed announcement of sorts.

“At least I know to stay with my own kind, Andy,” she snarled. Upon seeing the look of horror on her sister’s face, she gave a sinister smile. “Ahh, yes. It was supposed to be a secret… I must have slipped.” Bellatrix pretended to cover her mouth as if catching herself in error.

Narcissa watched as Andromeda’s face fell in defeat and gasped once she realised what had been implied. Andromeda, however, made a valiant effort to continue in getting her point across.

With tears silently falling from her eyes she pleaded to her sister. “Bella, please! You’re signing a death sentence when you join him! I only want you to be safe.” She gazed at the young woman’s eyes which were completely void of emotion, and succumbed to a raspy whisper of defeat.

“I love you, Bella. I wish you could understand that.”

At that final thought, Andromeda allowed tears she had been hiding to fall silently. She cried for her pain of losing her sister to the Dark Lord. She and Bella would never share the loving relationship they had as children after this day. Bella’s comment about her relationship with her Muggleborn boyfriend sealed that fate.

In a quick twist of emotion, Andy quietly laughed to herself as she realised how conniving her sister really had become, and that maybe time with the Dark Lord might make her a bit more aware of her sharp tongue.

She was frustrated about her family’s blindness as far as beliefs were concerned. What did it matter, anyways? As a child she was taught that those not pure of blood were beneath them and not worth their time or efforts. She had come across several students while at Hogwarts who were half-blood or less, and she found them to be perfectly acceptable people.

Andromeda’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her mother’s voice.

“Tell me, Andromeda… Who is this person your sister has referred to?” The woman gave her middle child a glare which could have melted steel in the flash of an eye.

The girl, suddenly timid, spoke just loud enough for her mother to hear her. “His name is Ted, mother.” She added, “He comes from a wonderful family.”

The three girls watched “ Bella did so with a look of fascination and fear “ and waited for their mother to continue her conversation about the young man in question.

“I would like to think that he comes from a well-bred wizarding family, but by the implications of your sisters’ comment, I am inclined to think otherwise.”

Andy had been dreading the conversation regarding her new love ever since her sister caught the two of them holding hands during her last birthday celebration. Her relationship with Ted had only blossomed since that afternoon, and they had been inseparable from that day forward.

Unfortunately, Bellatrix knew more about her relationship with Ted than she realized.

“So tell me, Andromeda,” she began. Bella’s sleek black hair covered one of her glistening eyes, but Andy could still feel the fury coming from her sister as she spoke. “How are you planning on supporting your little family once the baby is born? Your beloved just doesn’t come off as anything close to wealthy. Were you just going to hope for support from your side of the family? Certainly you aren’t that naive.”

Hearing the last few words, Andromeda’s body began to shake, but she did her best to show the utmost control of her emotions. She was a Black. As a Black she would not back down from a few hurtful words, even if it came from her sister who she loved despite their differences.

She looked to her left and watched as her mother approached her. Andy looked her mother in the eye and did not back down as she lessened the distance between them. Seconds later she found herself mere inches from eyes which resembled her own.

“I am giving you the opportunity to convince me that your sister is simply trying to get a rise out of you, Andromeda.” Mrs. Black kept her voice steady and without emotion.

Andy took a few deep breaths before speaking. Her voice was hoarse at first, but cleared and gained volume as she continued. “I only regret not waiting until after my schooling was complete to start a family, but I cannot deny my love for Ted or my unborn child. I can only hope that you may find some semblance of compassion for my baby, regardless of his or her bloodline, as it is also a part of me.”

Mrs. Black gracefully placed her teacup on the side table before speaking. But when the words emerged, they were in a tone as cold as ice.

“You want to talk to me about regret, Andromeda? That child you are carrying with that Mudblood boy will always be something I regret. The fact that you made such an unwise decision and, in turn, denied me a relationship with my grandchild... I cannot forgive that. I cannot accept her into my life and, that being said, I cannot allow you to remain a member of this household carrying your half-blood infant.”

Andromeda’s heart fell as she watched her mother turn around and walk towards the garden - her place of retreat. It was also the place the girls knew not to bother her.

Before Mrs. Black was out of sight, Andy cried out in a voice that was hoarse from crying to herself, “Mother, please don’t do this! Please come back and allow us to talk as a mother and daughter.” She withdrew and grasped her handkerchief as she watched her mother turn to her, with a face void of emotion.

“I have no need to speak to you, girl. Go upstairs and pack your things, for after this evening, you will no longer be welcome in the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black.”

Andy began to sob uncontrollably and turned to face her sisters. Narcissa was trying to keep her posture up and her face down, as to not look either sister in the eyes. Bellatrix, on the other hand, looked directly at her newly discarded sibling and, after wiping a solitary tear from her eyes, gave an evil smirk. Andromeda knew right then and there that Bella would never give her a sisterly embrace, and from this point on may very well be someone she needed to watch for.

Turning to ascend the stairs to the bedroom she had lived in all of her life, she padded quietly up the stairs. Once in her room, she closed the door and instinctively placed a protective hand over her abdomen once she had magically packed and shrunk her belongings.

“Change can be good, little one. Never let life bring you too far down, for there is a light out there somewhere. Things can only get better from here, and I will do everything in my power to keep you safe. We will always have each other.”

Andromeda took a final look around her room and curled herself up on the foot of her bed, falling into a fitful sleep.

Hours after the family had gone to bed, a lone female figure walked through the halls outside of the bedrooms without making a sound. She approached a door and opened it as quietly as she could. Seeing the figure sleeping on the bed’s edge, the female approached cautiously until her robes touched the large comforter.

She thought to herself, 'It's so sad. We were so close and now we have no choice but to be so far away and emotionally detatched. I suppose it's for our own safety but I'll miss her all the same.'

“I am sorry, Andy. I love you, but I had to do it. I hope you can forgive me one day.”

The door closed and Andromeda whispered, “I already have, Bella. I love you too.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75664