Christmas Wishes by Weasleyboyfreak
Summary: Its Christmas eve in a small valley outside of London and it would be perfect with the exception of one very important person who has gone missing. How will the others react when this person returns? With tears? Anger? Or even happiness? Watch what happens between Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, and baby James this Christmas. This heart wrenching story will have you reading to the last word.





Weasleyboyfreak: Hufflepuff...sitting in front of a warm fire, drinking a large mug of cocoa!



Christmas Wishes is a one shot for the by the fireside prompt for WTC.
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4040 Read: 4158 Published: 12/07/07 Updated: 12/09/07

1. Christmas Wishes by Weasleyboyfreak

Christmas Wishes by Weasleyboyfreak
Author's Notes:
Thank you sooooo much to my amazing betas, th_poet, mistletoe, and last but not least, h_vic. Without them, my fic wouldn't be here today. They are just amazing betas and I would recomend them to anyone. Thanks guys!

A warm glow could be seen through the icy windows of a small cottage, as gentle snowflakes fell from an overcast sky. Church bells chimed softly in the distance. This charming Christmas Eve was met with a peaceful breeze that floated through the valley. The breeze rustled a small ivy wreath, laced with bells, on the cottage door. A lone sign, beautifully painted with reds and oranges, stood covered in a thick layer of snow, making the words unreadable. The cottage’s bushes and small trees had been decorated with a large number of lights, making the layer of snow on top of them multicoloured. This ideal Christmas scene would have been perfect, if it hadn’t been for the absence of one person in particular.



It had been five years since the defeat of Lord Voldemort. Many had believed that the terrors of the wizarding world would end, but they were wrong. Evil supporters of Voldemort still remained at large, and it was up to the Aurors to stop them. For this reason, many members of the Ministry found themselves away from their families on this chilly Christmas night.



In the small cottage, two women were sitting in front of a tiny fireplace: one with long red hair, the other with a mess of frizzy brown curls. Steam curled above the mugs of hot cocoa held tightly in their hands. They were surrounded by an array of reds and greens that decorated the cottage. Christmas cards lined the walls, and the smell of cooked ham filled the room. The lone tree that stood in the corner was perfectly decorated, the lights reflecting throughout the room. However, the small fireplace was the centre of attention, making the snow outside seem like a forgotten scene on a beautiful Christmas card. Sadly, the mood of the warm and welcoming house did not match that of the two women sitting in front of the fireplace.



“It’ll be alright, Hermione,” said Ginny Potter in soothing voice, “I’m sure he’ll be back soon.” The confident words did not match the expression on her face.



“He’s been gone for six months, Ginny,” Hermione responded softly, but Ginny could hear the sadness in her voice. She watched as Hermione’s eyes stared away into the nothingness behind the flames, as if she were expecting a face to suddenly appear.



“But Harry said…”



“I know that, Ginny,” Hermione interrupted angrily. She was sick of hearing that he was on a secret mission. “But he’s stopped writing. I haven’t even gotten a bloody Christmas card. You’d think that he’s…” A hint of bitterness lingered in her voice as she trailed off into silence.



“Don’t say that, Hermione. You know that it’s not true.”



Ginny watched as Hermione looked down at her hands in her lap, she could feel her friend’s anger and pain. She knew her best friend must be thinking about the numerous spells she had used to try and find him. Hermione went as far as to use blood magic, although it could have injured herself and her developing child. However, nothing was able to locate him. Ginny could still see a glint of hope as she looked into her friend’s brown eyes. Hermione always appeared strong.



Suddenly, a cold snowy breeze came in through the door, making the two women shiver. They both turned to see a man in a hooded cloak enter. Without hesitation, Ginny stood up and walked over to the man, taking a sleeping infant out of his arms.



“Harry…” Ginny said in a happy tone, helping him take off his cloak with her free hand. She engulfed him in a hug once he was free of his cloak. Ginny was happy to get away from the awkward silence that had settled between her and Hermione.



“Did you find out anything?” she whispered, her eyes searching Harry’s.



On the inside, Ginny was praying that he had found Ron, or found anything for that matter. She hated to see her best friend in this state of depression. Ginny could see through Hermione’s mask, knowing that she was hurt on the inside.



Harry looked into Ginny’s hazel eyes and then at Hermione, who was pushing around roasting chestnuts on the coals of the fire. “No…” he answered, his voice cracking from a dry throat. His eyes were now downcast. “No one can locate him. It‘s like he’s disappeared. You know that he hasn‘t had contact with the Ministry in months. I just don’t have the heart to tell her…” He looked at the woman in front of the fireplace, letting out a small sigh.



Ginny bit her bottom lip at Harry‘s words, rocking her son James in her arms. “It’s like he crushed her soul. I don’t know if she’s going to have enough strength to have that baby if he doesn’t come back. He doesn’t even know…” Ginny looked up into her husband’s green eyes, her own sparkling with tears.



Ginny couldn’t even imagine having a baby without Harry by her side. He had been her support throughout her entire pregnancy; it was what Hermione was missing. The thought of Harry having left her without knowing that she was pregnant with James was unbearable. Ginny realised that she would not have been able to handle things as calmly as Hermione was doing now.



“We’ve still got time. She’s not due for three more months, Ginny,” Harry said, putting a hand on her shoulder. “We’ll find him, I promise.”



Ginny recognized a familiar determination in Harry‘s voice as she saw the sincerity in his blazing green eyes. Harry always seemed to know how to make her feel better.



The couple looked back over to Hermione, who was hanging stockings on the fireplace mantelpiece. The slight rounding of her figure was visible beneath her heavy jumper. A single red stocking hung on the mantel, a maroon one still in her hand. Tears began to fall freely down Hermione’s cheeks as she held it. However, she angrily wiped them away. Ginny could see that Hermione was disappointed in herself for showing vulnerability and weakness. The thought of loosing the one that she loved most in life was too overwhelming for her, too painful. Ginny gave a slight nod to Harry, signaling him to go and talk to her.



“Hermione, Hermione…It’s OK ,” Harry said, stroking her hair and trying to comfort her. “He’ll be back, I promise,” Harry said soothingly.



Ginny could see past Harry’s strong exterior, realising that he was losing confidence that they would be able to find his best friend. She could see the anger in her husband’s eyes. Ginny understood that Harry felt guilty for having sent Ron on the mission-- the one Harry should have taken himself. His thoughts were etched through his green eyes and the worry lines that Ginny had come to know over the past few years. Wanting nothing more than to comfort him, she restrained herself, it was Hermione who needed the attention.



“H-he’s gone!” Hermione said shakily, she was trying to fight tears that were slowly forming in her eyes, “And he left without even saying goodbye…”



A hollowness entered Hermione’s eyes as she came to this realisation . It seemed to Ginny that a piece of Hermione’s soul was missing. She watched as the maroon stocking fell out of Hermione’s nerveless hands and slipped into the fireplace. A name could be read in the fire for a few seconds before it was taken by the flames.



Ron



“He’s not gone. He’s on a mission,” Harry assured her in a comforting manner. He looked over to his wife for support, but only found that she had tears in her eyes as well.



To Ginny, her brother’s name in the fireplace confirmed what she refused to accept -- he was gone. Her petite hands had begun to shake, cutting her voice off from allowing words of comfort to escape. She was overwhelmed with a feeling of grief, but she tried to hide it for Hermione’s sake.



After a few minutes of reassuring words, Harry ushered Hermione to a chair next to the Christmas tree, and handed her a fresh cup of cocoa. The look in Harry’s eyes told Ginny that he was trying to process what had happened minutes before. Ginny could see the realisation coming into his eyes; he knew that Hermione was losing hope. The warm and confident aura about him was slightly deflating. Ginny heart sunk, a defeated look had now entered those once passionate green eyes.



Ginny sat in the chair next to Hermione, rocking her one-year-old son. Harry sat on the floor at the base of the Christmas tree, and it was then that the Weasleys’ ornaments caught his eyes. They were animated scenes trapped inside the bulbs. Their memories. Harry was always amazed with Hermione’s brilliance, but these ornaments were extraordinary. Hermione caught him looking at them.



“This one’s my favourite,” Hermione said softly, a weak smile on her face.



She pulled the bulb off the tree and held it up for Harry to see. It was of her and Ron’s wedding. The animated scene showed the pair giving their vows, and sealing them with a kiss. Harry looked up from the scene to see Hermione’s light smile accompanied by unshed tears dancing in her eyes.



“It was a beautiful wedding,” Ginny said, setting her hand on Hermione’s. Ginny’s eyes shown brightly with curiosity as she looked at the bulbs that surrounded her. She had a look of awe on her face as she pulled another one off the tree.



“Look at this one, it’s their first kiss,” Ginny said with a smile. She closed her eyes to fight off tears because the memory of the Last Battle, where Hermione and her older brother had shared their first kiss, overwhelmed her.



“This one is of our first Christmas together at Hogwarts.” Hermione smiled, watching Harry and Ron becoming tangled in Christmas tinsel as they tried to decorate the tree in the Gryffindor common room.



The trio continued to study the beautiful ornaments as the fire warm glow began to fade, causing large shadows to dance across the wall.



********



A tall man in a full length, black, hooded cloak walked slowly through the valley. He had a rusty five o’clock shadow and walked with a slight limp, shivering from the cold. His fingertips were purple and his teeth chattered as he slowly stumbled up the rough stone path; the snow making it difficult to walk. The man seemed almost phantom-like in his cloak, as he approached the small cottage, his heart beating rapidly.



The young man stopped just in front of the icy window. He could see a group of people sitting at the base of a Christmas tree. It was a scene he had missed more than anything else in the world.



He paused for a moment. How was he going to explain this too her? The time lapse without him home would have affect his relationship. Ron had missed her more than anything else in the world. But would she know that?



Ron had been through a great deal in the past six months, and his face and body were showing the effects. He desperately wanted to be back at home with his family. As the young man’s heart ached with anticipation, he ran up the quaint steps of the cottage.



*********



The door to the cottage slowly opened. It once again caused a cold breeze of snow to enter the house. The trio in front of the Christmas tree looked at the door in shock. Hermione slowly stood up as a hooded figure entered the house. Church bells sounded again in the background. Harry and Ginny also stood up behind her as she took a few steps toward the man who had now revealed his beaten face from behind his hood. The reflection of the Christmas tree lights made his bruises look worse.



“R-Ron?” Hermione’s voice shook, tears in her eyes. She would have never expected this. It was if all her wishes had been answered. The man nodded with a light smile, as he looked at his wife, his arms half raised. He took a slow step towards her, not even acknowledging Harry, Ginny, or James.



Ginny and Harry looked at each other, they were unsure of how Hermione was going to react. Ginny herself would have liked to hit her older brother over the head for giving them such a scare. She could tell by the look in Harry’s eyes that he was grateful to see that his best friend was still alive. He wrapped an arm around Ginny’s waist, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.



The scene in front of the Potters happened in slow motion. It seemed like ages until the pair embraced, Ron kissing her deeply. Suddenly, Hermione pushed him off her and slapped him across the face.



“What--Hermione? What was that for?” Ron asked as he rubbed the pain of the hit out of his cheek. He seemed oblivious to the fact that he had been missing for months.



“You left me without even a note, Ronald!” Hermione raged, “You left Harry to tell me! Then, a month later you write me a letter, one letter, telling me that you’re alive? Nothing else, not even a bloody Christmas card!” Hermione shouted in anger, Ginny’s hand on her shoulder.



Hermione took another step toward him, pulling out her wand and pointing in his direction. Her emotions seemed to be in more of an uproar due to her pregnancy.



“Hermione…“Ron muttered, taking a step back. His eyes danced with fear of his wife’s very capable magical ability.



“You’re an arse Ronald Weasley!” Hermione yelled, her body shaking with anger as she pointing her wand at him. “How could you do this to me?”



Ginny watched as Harry quickly stepped forward and pulled her back, ripping her wand out of her hand. She couldn’t believe that Hermione’s anger had led her that far. Hermione’s brown eyes were full of anger as she tried to fight tears, her shoulders heaving up and down as she breathed.



“Hermione, calm--” Harry started



“Let--me go, Harry!” Hermione said, pushing him back. “I will not calm down!”



Ron opened his mouth to respond but Hermione cut him off. “And what hurt the most, Ron,” Hermione said in shrill voice that cut like a knife, “is that I found out that I was pregnant and you were nowhere to be seen! Harry, your best friend, couldn’t even find you! I thought you were dead!” Hermione finally allowed tears to stream down her face as she looked at Ron, shaking her head. “I couldn’t believe that you’d this to me…to us.”



Ron was silent for a moment, shocked and slightly pale. Ginny could tell that he was trying to process everything that had just happened. His bruised face was unreadable.



“You’re…pregnant?” Ron asked, his blue eyes warm and loving though his body shook with cold. The colour seemed to drain from the redhead‘s face as he looked at Hermione. “Y-you…mean…we…are going to h-have a…a b-baby?” he stuttered awkwardly, an idiotic expression creeping over his face.



“Not that you wanted to be part of that,” Hermione said bitterly, crossing her arms over her chest.



“Hermione…I…I…”Ron gapped, taking a step towards her. Ginny could see Ron’s desire to hold Hermione in his arms.



“And what were you doing that was so important that you couldn’t tell me that you were leaving? That you couldn’t at least write me a letter?”



Ron looked at her as if he were unable to process what she was saying. Ginny watched as he awkwardly gaped, trying to think of something suitable to say.



“Search your brain, Ron. That shouldn’t be too hard for you!”



“I-I’m sorry, Hermione…” Ron said softly.



Ginny could tell that he was ashamed of himself. She looked to Hermione, knowing that she was about ready to explode again.



Sorry? You’ve been gone for months--month--and all you can say is ‘sorry’?” Hermione asked angrily, shaking her head. “Well, Ronald, sorry isn’t good enough!”



Ron looked down. Ginny could see a defeated look in his eyes.



“What else could I do?” He asked, his blue eyes searching for the right words to say, as he looked back at Hermione. “I was…”



“You were what, Ron? Too busy with your job for six months to care about your friends…or your wife?” Hermione said shrilly. “We thought you were dead!”



“But I wasn’t!” Ron retorted, cutting off Hermione before she could continue. “I couldn’t tell you where I was going! It would have put you in danger…I did it to protect you…” Ginny could see pain in his eyes.



“If you did it to protect me, you could have at least explained that to me before you left!” Hermione hissed. She couldn’t look at him.



“Hermione--” Harry started again.



“I was captured,” Ron continued, trying to step in Hermione’s line of vision and ignoring Harry. “They kept trying to get inside of me, make me tell them where my family was. They threatened to kill and torture you in front of me, Hermione!” Ron said, his voice shaking slightly as he spoke. Ginny could tell that this memory was painful for her brother. “Didn’t Harry tell you?”



Hermione gaped and Ginny looked at Harry, wondering whether he had been holding out on her. Harry shook his head, looking perplexed.



“We didn’t know,” Harry said to Hermione, “we couldn’t find him.”



“That’s because they took off my Auror badge with the magical tracking device in it, I thought you would have figured it out,” Ron said, acknowledging Harry for the first time.



“No, mate, we found your badge but we lost your trail,” Harry responded. “We just assumed…”



“No, I wasn’t dead. I was following the Death Eater’s trail when I was suddenly surrounded. I went to shield myself, but I was too slow. They stunned and tied me up,” Ron said, only looking at Hermione.



Ginny could see his blue eyes begging for her forgiveness. Hermione looked like she had been hit by a stunning spell as Ron continued to talk.



“I woke up to find myself chained in the Malfoys’ dungeon, being closely watched by one of their new recruits. This kid would have made Crabbe and Goyle look intelligent,” Ron said, looking once again at Hermione before continuing.



“Like I said, they tortured me, trying to get information about you, my family, and the Ministry. They used some kind of dark magic on me. It made me feel like I had just encountered a Dementor. The magic left its mark,” Ron said, wincing as he pulled back his sleeve to reveal a scabbed shape that resembled a star.



Ginny had tears forming in her eyes, but it was Hermione who looked like she had stopped breathing. Ginny could tell that she had realized the seriousness of Ron’s situation.



“Today, I was finally able to convince their guard to open the cell. I told him that my cot was infested with Nargles. He couldn’t believe it! The stupid prat came right in to check! I grabbed his wand as he came by and trapped him in the cell. I quickly Apparated, but I didn’t have enough strength to make it all the way here. I Splinched myself,” Ron said, showing them another patch of missing skin on his elbow.



“Oh, Ron,” Ginny said, Harry holding her close. However, Hermione remained silent, her brown eyes looking almost empty.



“You know that I would never leave you, don’t you Hermione?” Ron asked simply.



“Well…I…” Hermione said, suddenly lost of words. Tears were once again forming in her eyes.



“I wouldn’t have taken the mission if I had known….known that you…you were pregnant,” he stammered, still unable to grasp the concept. “Are we really having a baby?” Ron questioned again, excitement in his voice this time.



Hermione nodded with a tearful smile, and it seemed as if her outburst had never occurred. He approached her again, taking her in his arms. The couple found themselves in a deep, passionate kiss that was long overdue. After a moment or two, their foreheads were pressed together. The pair looked into each other’s eyes for the first time in months. Their excitement about the new baby could be seen dancing in each of their eyes.



“I’m sorry, Hermione,” Ron said, his bright blue eyes were extremely apologetic. “I never wanted to hurt you or our child.” The young man couldn’t stop smiling.



Hermione was still wrapped in his arms as he spoke. Warmth seemed to radiate off of them. “ If I had told you where I was going or owled you… you would have been in danger,” Ron repeated, wiping tears off his wife’s soft face. “I would have really been dead…” He couldn’t even imagine the thought of not coming home to his developing family.



“I know,” Hermione kept saying through tears and kisses. The couple crumpled to the couch in each other’s arms. It was easy to see how in love the two were. “I’m sorry too.”



Watching with warm smiles, Harry and Ginny stood in happy silence. They let the couple have their reunion in peace. It wasn’t until a few minutes later that Ron noticed his sister and Harry.



“Harry, Ginny…” Ron said, his voice cracking slightly, “James…” Ron embraced Harry in a quick manly hug. Obviously, the pair were overwhelmed to see each other alive. She quickly engulfed her brother in one-armed hug as he tickled his nephew’s chin.



“Ron, we’ve missed you so much,” Ginny said. Suddenly she found tears forming in her eyes, relieved that he was actually standing in front of her. “You’ve put the family through such a fright!”



“I’m sorry, Ron,” Harry said, his green eyes looking into those of his beaming friend, “I shouldn’t have made you go on that mission…”



“It’s all right, mate,” Ron said, wrapping his arm around his sister, with baby James, and Hermione. “It’s my job.” Ron hesitantly placed his hand on his wife’s round stomach. He was still in a state of disbelief. If it were possible, the man’s smile stretched wider as he felt a small kick.



“I knew you’d make it, mate! I just knew it.” Harry said, a warm smile coming over his face.



At this, Hermione gave Ron a kiss on the cheek, holding him as close as possible. She couldn't lose him again.



Ron pulled out a small silver necklace with a heart medallion on it. A tender smile slowly crept over Hermione’s face.



“Happy Christmas, love,” Ron said with a smile. He was then drawn into another long kiss from Hermione.



“Happy Christmas, Ron,” Hermione sighed with relief. She was so happy to have the man she loved in her arms again.



Curling up with her husband, Hermione felt safe once again. She stared adoringly into his deep blue eyes, as his warm hand stroked her round stomach. Ron’s head lay comfortably on top of Hermione’s; the moment slipping into eternity. Those deep blue eyes contained enough passion to melt the mounds of snow outside the decorated windowsill. Unable to move her gaze, Hermione stared lovingly into the long-missed eyes of her husband for the rest of that night, and on into the next day, and the next.... the fireside scene magically transforming itself into an ornament on the Weasleys’ Christmas tree.



This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75806