Second Chances by GryffindorGoddess
Summary: Severus, Lily and James have been reincarnated ... born again into this life as Severn, Lillian and Jamie. The unresolved passions in their previous lives has drawn them together once more. Will Severn win Lillian this time or will Fate play out the same way again? (Rated 3rd-5th years but could change later in the story.)
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 18177 Read: 14850 Published: 12/17/07 Updated: 07/10/08

1. The Sorting by GryffindorGoddess

2. Secrets by GryffindorGoddess

3. Letters by GryffindorGoddess

4. Hidden by GryffindorGoddess

5. The Restricted Section by GryffindorGoddess

6. Hogsmeade by GryffindorGoddess

The Sorting by GryffindorGoddess
Author's Notes:
Huge thanks to Snape's Talon/Snapes_secret for putting this bunny up for adoption! It's a genius idea.

There was something in his eyes. The way he looked at her with an unwavering gaze that could melt ice was unmistakable. She knew him. She liked him. And yet…Lillian had never met him. It was impossible that this boy with familiar eyes, a slightly crooked nose, and hair black as death could have been anyone of her acquaintance.

But the boy kept staring, as if he too felt drawn to her. Every passing second grew more agonizing for Severn. Why wouldn’t she look at him? Was he that unfit to be seen?

“Settle down there, mate,” came a male voice from inside their train compartment.

Beside Severn sat a boy about his size, but with glasses that covered mischievous green eyes. Severn had hardly noticed him before he spoke.

“What?” asked Severn, startled at the boy’s presence.

“The girl you’re drooling over. She isn’t that pretty…but I can see how you can’t set your standards too high,” the boy said, and then snickered.

Severn, trying to hide his annoyance and embarrassment, buried himself deeper inside his worn out overcoat. The heat that emanated from his face and neck burned underneath the heavy fabric.

“And you’re one to judge beauty? Tell me then, if you are allowed to set your standards much higher than mine, where is your girlfriend?” Severn replied bitingly.

The green-eyed boy couldn’t let the other get the better of him. He answered haughtily, “I doubt there’s a girl in all of Hogwarts who “ ”

“Enough!” interrupted the fiery young girl sitting across from them. “You boys are so childish! It has obviously escaped your pea-sized brains that people can hear you when you talk.”

Lillian stood immediately and removed herself from their presence, slamming the door behind her. It was lonesome enough having no friends to sit with on the train, but to be singled out and scrutinized by two mindless boys was too much to bear.

The flash of her swishing red hair still played in Severn’s mind as she walked away to another compartment.

“Now you did it,” the boy said. “Good luck getting a girl now, even if she isn’t so pretty.”

There was no way this boy could admit the tugging feeling in his stomach when the girl spoke, nor the disappointment and anger at himself when she left. More so, he could never reveal that he felt responsible for upsetting her. It seemed familiar, somehow. But it was impossible.

“You’re a right arrogant git, you know,” Severn said coolly.

“And you’re a weasely little stalker. Good thing she left when she did.”

Severn looked at the boy, feeling years’ worth of contempt and disgust. He had no idea where such animosity came from; after all, he didn’t even know this boy’s name.

“Jamie,” the boy said, holding his hand out to shake Severn’s.

Severn looked uneasily back at him but held out his hand. It took every bit of will he had in him not to pull away at the last second.

“Severn.”

“And may we never have to meet again.”


The sun was set by the time the train arrived at Hogsmeade Station, and soon all the nervous first years were led away to the boats. Severn hid in the darkness and walked straight to the nearest empty boat; he had no friends and therefore no one he felt inclined to seek out.

“Quickly into the boats! Come on, make haste!” an urgent but kind female voice instructed them. Severn looked for its origin but saw only Jamie, who was apparently trying to find the girl from the train.

As he watched, an older woman in spectacles accosted Jamie and directed him away from the full boats. “We haven’t time to waste, young man! We mustn’t be late for the Sorting!” Jamie tried to argue with her, claiming that he had friends in the other boat, but she would have none of it.

All of this was very amusing until Severn found Jamie plopped down in his own boat.

“Looks like your friends forgot to save you a seat,” Severn said, hiding a wicked smile.

Jamie was unable to make a witty reply, as the fact suddenly occurred to him that he had no friends at Hogwarts. Maybe it wasn’t so terrible that he landed in this boat, just as he happened to share the same compartment on the train. Maybe this second meeting could change things.

No, it was unthinkable that he and Severn could start over at this point. Admittedly there was something drawing them together, but it wasn’t amiable. Jamie didn’t know why he should care enough to try to make Severn’s life miserable. The only connection they had was the not-so-pretty girl on the train, and he didn’t even know her name. She wasn’t that pretty.

The more he thought about the red-haired girl from the train, the more jealous he became. Something inside him screamed, “Mine!” So why should this greasy kid be moving in on a girl that was rightfully his?

Finally Jamie spoke. “I just thought I might need to keep an eye on you. The way you go after girls, I should think they’d need somebody to protect them.”

“And you’re that boy, are you? Righteous enough that any girl should want you to save them from me?”

Yes, Jamie thought to himself. Especially her. She’s mine.

The boats stopped abruptly in an underground stone waterway. Soon they would be ascending the torch-lit stairs and making their way into the great castle of Hogwarts.

The students were lined up alphabetically and led into the Great Hall one by one. Lillian Davenport was the sixth to enter. She walked in quick paces with her gaze fixed straight ahead. Her hands shook but she steadied them by making tight fists.

All the stories and rumors of the different Houses made her nervous of the Sorting. Even though Lord Voldemort had long been defeated and Slytherin House had a more desirable reputation, the thought of being Sorted into such a House was terrifying. Lillian knew that her Housemates would be her family for the next seven years, and all she wished for was a good company of friends.

As the Sorting Hat was placed on her head, Lillian looked anxiously out at the four long tables, sizing up the older students. She could no better summarize their character than choose from the four.

“Strong will, I see,” said the Sorting Hat. “Very talented and hard working. Driven, passionate, tough skin. You would do well in either of these fine Houses.”

The longer the hat sat on her head, the more Lillian just wanted to be done. “Just pick one,” she whispered, “and let me sit down.”

“GRYFFINDOR!” the hat shouted, and cheers and applause erupted from the Gryffindor table. Lillian was relieved to be a Gryffindor, but even more to be out of the spotlight.

She sat beside a third year girl named Marion, who chatted in a soft-spoken voice and made Lillian more at ease.

Meanwhile Severn Elliott, who was eighth in line, and Jamie Novak, twenty-fourth in line, waited impatiently as each student before them went in for the Sorting Ceremony. The hardest part was not knowing to which House everyone before them had been placed.

Eventually Severn was called in and the Sorting Hat placed on his head. He scanned each table carefully until he spotted Lillian with the Gryffindors, and then never took his eyes off her.

“I see that you are cunning, intelligent… Slytherin would suit “ “

“Gryffindor,” Severn said, so that only the Sorting had could hear. “I’m brave and strong. I’m a Gryffindor.”

The Sorting Hat hesitated only a moment before shouting, “GRYFFINDOR!”

Severn leaped up like lightning, as if he was trying to escape before the Sorting Hat changed his mind; he threw the hat unceremoniously back on the stool as he rushed to the Gryffindor table.

There weren’t any seats left beside Lillian, so Severn got at close as he could “ three seats down on the opposite side. He looked once and smiled, a gesture which she automatically returned.

The Great Hall grew more restless with each passing student. The hat called Joseph Feeney (Slytherin) and Judy Miller (Hufflepuff) and everyone in between before Jamie Novak finally appeared on the stool. Neither Severn nor Lillian had been paying much attention until now, but both took an interest in the Sorting of this particular boy.

Lillian, unlike Severn, was unsure if she wanted Jamie in her House or not. Deep inside her chest she felt a tugging sensation, as if some invisible force was pulling her to him. But her head and her expression clearly wanted him to stay as far away as possible.

“Not Gryffindor,” Severn muttered to himself. “Not Gryffindor.”

But all his wishing wouldn’t have stopped the Sorting Hat from yelling, “GRYFFINDOR!” The table around Severn erupted in cheers, and only he remained seated and silent.

A wave of surprising happiness washed over Lillian. She could feel in her face that she was flushed, and had attracted Severn’s attention because of it. Something about this scenario was odd. It seemed like it had happened before…

Jamie did his best to make eye contact with her and nod subtly “ so that Severn wouldn’t see “ but Lillian kept her eyes fixed down to her lap. She couldn’t look at either of them.

It was all too much to deal with just now. Two boys, two dichotomous feelings for each of them. One House.

Secrets by GryffindorGoddess
Author's Notes:
*rating upped due to mild language*

Once classes began and the first years learned the routine of living at Hogwarts, Lillian found it easier to relax and enjoy her new home. She quickly made friends with two of her fellow Gryffindors, Rory Leighton and Simone Woodhill, who were also first years. They found a common interest in performing well in classes, and could most often be found sitting by the fire in the common room while studying.

On this particular night, not three weeks into the semester, the crowd in the common room was more rowdy than usual. The Quidditch players of the House were riling themselves up for the tryouts that were to take place later that evening.

“Are you really going to try out?” Jamie’s new friend, Daniel Barry, asked him. His eyes were eager and he was clearly dreaming of popularity by association.

“He’ll never make it,” added a third-year Beater named Ryan McClanahan. Ryan and Jamie had become friends easily, but he wasn’t about to let a first year show him up on the pitch.

Jamie strutted across to the other side of the common room to make sure Lillian could see and here the conversation going on around her. She rolled her eyes and looked back to her Beginning Potions book.

“Well you don’t have to be scared; I’m not going out for Beater. I’m going for Chaser,” Jamie said, puffing his chest and standing as tall as his small frame could stretch.

“That fast, are ya?” teased Ian Porter, the fastest Chaser the Gryffindor Quidditch team had ever known. He was a seventh year and also the team captain. “If you can catch me, I’ll consider giving you a look at the tryouts!”

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Ian was off and running up the boys’ stairwell. Jamie had leapt over the couch where Lillian was sitting, never minding that her books and parchment sat on the cushion, and raced after the older boy. All that was heard from the common room were the yells and thundering footsteps of two inconsiderate Quidditch players.

They returned completely out of breath, with Jamie at a loss.

“Serves him right,” Lillian muttered to her friends. She had magically uncrumpled her papers but couldn’t forget how utterly insufferable Jamie was. “Show-offs ought to be shown their place.” Rory and Simone snickered in agreement.

“Looks like you’ll have to try again next year, mate!” cried Ryan, laughing with the rest of the team.

“Aw, don’t be so hard on yourself,” Ian said, patting a hand on his shoulder. “Hasn’t been a first year on the team since Harry Potter! Almost fifty years since. You’ll have better luck in a year or two, when you’ve had some experience.”

Jamie took all this well, considering his wounded pride, and answered with a reply showing no absence of confidence. “If Harry Potter could do it, then I sure as hell can! I’ll see you on the pitch,” he said determinedly.

The next thing she knew, Lillian saw Jamie standing over her.

“You’re in my light,” she said curtly.

“I’ll get out if you just do me one favor.”

“Pull your head out of your ass?”

Jamie continued, unfazed. “Come watch me at Quidditch tryouts tonight. For luck.”

She huffed and turned her eyebrow up at him, but she was taken aback by his captivating smile. Why should Jamie Novak suddenly care so much about having her watch his Quidditch tryouts? The boy who said she wasn’t even that pretty… The rude, arrogant, conceited boy who only lived to make himself look good.

“No thanks,” Lillian replied.

“Suit yourself,” Jamie answered, and walked away with heavy steps. That hadn’t gone as planned. “I’ll be down there in case you change your mind.”

Lillian ignored him and went right back to her Potions assignment. She knew Professor Valenti didn’t take lightly to slackers in her class (although Lillian had heard that she wasn’t as bad as some of Hogwarts past Potions Masters).

“Good choice,” same a soft, steady voice from behind her.

Lillian turned to find Severn sitting in a chair in the corner with his own Potions book open. He sat there in his black robes with his cheek-length black hair dangling in his face, blending into the shadows. She hadn’t noticed him at all.

“Oh, um…” But Lillian couldn’t think of anything to say, especially since the last thing she wanted to talk about was Jamie. “I see you’re doing Potions, too.”

“Finished, actually,” Severn replied shortly.

A minute passed when neither spoke, and the awkward tension in the room grew astronomically. So far they hadn’t found anything in common, and found it difficult to be real friends. They were just housemates.

Lillian gave him a brief but genuine smile before turning back to Rory and Simone. “I need to take a break,” she said, closing the heavy book and laying her quill on top.

“Are you done?” Simone asked her incredulously. “I knew you were good, but wow.”

“No, but I just need to get out for some fresh air “ ”

“Take a walk with me,” Severn offered.

She was surprised but not at all adverse to the idea. Maybe this would give them a chance to be friends…once they found something to talk about. He seemed like he could use a few friends in the world.

Though it was still September, the night air was growing chilly already. The stars above the castle sparkled brightly.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Lillian asked, attempting to make small talk as they walked the grounds.

“Yes,” Severn replied. “The first time I ever saw stars properly was our first night here. London isn’t exactly the place to go stargazing.”

This was the first time Lillian had heard him speak more than a few words together. “Oh, you’re from London!” she exclaimed, thankful that she now had something to talk to him about. “Which part?”

“The dodgy part. My mum’s dead and my dad has no clue how to be one.”

Lillian was stunned and stopped in her tracks. For Severn to open up so quickly and easily about the most awful things in his life was unexpected, to say the least. Furthermore she couldn’t help thinking she just shouldn’t have asked.

“That’s…awful. I’m really sorry,” she said, not knowing what else she could say. “You didn’t have to tell me that. I didn’t mean to “ ”

Severn had turned back to her and sat on the grass under a tree. Lillian sat beside him.

“It’s okay, I wanted to tell you. I sometimes feel like I already know you, even though that’s impossible,” he confessed. “I wanted you to know about me. You’re the only one who wants to know.”

Lillian searched his face but couldn’t read his expression in the dark. She found it hard to trust boys most of the time, but his voice sounded sincere.

“Then I’m the lucky one,” Lillian said. “My life isn’t so perfect, either, if you want to know the truth. It’s not my parents, though.”

“Something worse?” Severn asked.

“Maybe not worse, but sometimes it is unbearable…”

Lillian took a deep breath before continuing. Not even Snowy, the Maltese she’d had since it was a puppy, knew this secret.

“Ever since I can remember, I’ve felt like something was missing. Like I lost something, or forgot it, but I can never remember or find it. I have dreams about it, and I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I have to go look for something. The problem is… I don’t know what I should be looking for. I know it must sound strange.”

She gave a nervous giggle and vowed to stop rambling.

“That’s not strange,” Severn answered. He wanted to tell her he’d had a feeling like that before, too. His object wasn’t lost or forgotten; what he was searching for had been taken from him.

“I’ve never told anybody, so please don’t…don’t say anything. I swear I’m not mad.”

Severn was intrigued at the thought that Lillian had never shared this secret with a single soul, and yet here she was confessing to an almost perfect stranger. How easy it had been for them to both open up to each other! It was as if their instincts had told them it was okay to trust, where trust was seldom given.

“It’s safe with me. Besides, who would I tell? I don’t have any friends,” Severn said sadly.

“Aren’t I your friend?”

The sad look in Lillian’s eyes reminded Severn of something that happened long ago “ something he wished he could forget. It was a memory almost like a dream. It didn’t seem real, but he knew it had happened.

“Well, yes… You’re my only friend. My best friend.”

As the two new friends headed back to the castle, Lillian spotted the lights glowing on the Quidditch pitch and wondered how Jamie was doing in his tryouts.

“What is it?” Severn asked.

“Nothing.”


The lights were out in the common room except for the flickering glow of the dying fire. Lillian alone was awake as she tried desperately to keep her eyes open to finish her homework. Several times she nodded off and traced her quill and ink unknowingly across the parchment.

Just as her eyes were closing, Lillian saw a disfigured shadow thrown against the stone tower wall. She turned to look and found the person she least wanted to see.

“It’s past one o’clock,” Jamie whispered, stating the obvious. “Why aren’t you in bed?”

“Potions. What’s your excuse?” Lillian asked. She noticed a small drool spot on her parchment and hid it quickly with her hand.

“I just couldn’t sleep.”

“So you’ve come to annoy me since no one else is awake?”

Jamie paid no attention to her comment. He plopped down on the couch next to her and examined her paper.

“Wow… Going at this rate you’ll be up all night! At least now you have some company.”

Lillian sighed quietly and turned back to her paper. “If you keep distracting me, I’ll never get anything done. I don’t want company, thank you.”

“But I do.”

For the first time since she’d known him, Jamie actually appeared to be upset. Something hadn’t gone his way and now he’d let his guard down. Lillian closed her book reluctantly and waited for him to speak.

After a few minutes of fighting with himself, Jamie still couldn’t muster up the courage to tell the girl he was trying to impress that he didn’t make the team. Of course she’d find out the news the next morning when the roster was posted. Of course she would know that he wasn’t as good as he led people to believe. But if she found out that way, he could always joke his way out of it, or have a play fight with one of the team members. Telling her now would mean admitting defeat, the sadness and disappointment of it all. Jamie had a reputation to uphold.

“Fine, then stay if you like,” Lillian finally told him.

She opened her book again and didn’t stop working until it was finished. Just after two a.m., Lillian went up to the girls’ dormitory and left Jamie asleep on the couch.

Letters by GryffindorGoddess

Their first year at Hogwarts flew by like Viktor Krum in pursuit of a Snitch. Everyone had easily fallen into the routine of classes and went through the motions of getting by. Lillian had a handle on her classwork now, especially since she and Severn had begun studying together for Potions, as well as every other class.

As the Christmas holiday approached, Lillian and Severn spent increasingly more time together. Their favorite pastime was walking around the castle and discovering its secrets as they talked.

“I don’t know what I should do for three whole weeks without you,” Lillian admitted sadly.

They rounded the corner and met the gargoyle at Professor Birkwell’s office and kept walking. She wondered if the Headmistress or professors ever went home for holidays, and then a thought occurred to her.

“You could come home with me,” she offered. “My parents would love to meet you, I’m sure. It would be so much better than staying here all alone at Christmas.”

Severn had begun to descend a moving staircase and nearly lost his footing. His pulse quickened and he answered in a quavering voice, “Thanks, but I think I’d do better to just stay here.”

He couldn’t believe he was refusing such a kind offer, but what else could he do? Staying with Lillian and her parents for three weeks would have been uncomfortable at best, terrifying at worst.

“You don’t want to spend Christmas with me?” Lillian asked, her voice betraying her hurt feelings.

“It’s not that…” Severn started, then stopped abruptly. He hadn’t any actual words to describe clearly why he couldn’t go home with Lillian. She knew he was shy, but that was a pathetic excuse. He also couldn’t tell her that if he ever went home with her that he might never be able to leave.

Lillian put her arm around Severn’s shoulder. “You know you’re my best friend, right? Even better than Rory and Simone.”

“I know,” he replied, and his nerves began to settle.

“There’s still a few days left. Maybe you’ll change your mind.”


The following Wednesday morning, Lillian and Severn were eating breakfast with Rory, Simone, and a second year boy named Quentin. The Great Hall was abuzz with the excitement of the approaching holiday; students were chatting happily about their holiday plans and how nice it would be to go back home for a while.

Only Severn didn’t seem very interested in this conversation. He wasn’t and never would be excited to go back home to his dingy place in London, mostly because of the company he shared it with.

“So,” Lillian said, “have you thought any more about it? Everyone’s going home over the break…”

He knew what she was doing. She wanted to make sure he knew that he’d be virtually alone in the castle “ no one to talk to or keep him company “ but that’s what he was counting on.

“Not everyone’s going home!” Jamie yelled from the end of the table.

“Eavesdrop much?” Lillian asked sarcastically.

Jamie ignored her and kept talking. “I’m not going home,” he said proudly. “Looks like Severn and I will have some company. We might even get to be friends.” He grinned out of one side of his mouth and arched his eyebrow in a menacing way.

Lililan turned to Severn and whispered in his ear, “You really should come home with me. Just listen to that prat. He’ll make you miserable if you stay!”

“Then why don’t you stay with me?”

She hesitated for a moment, getting Severn’s hopes up before letting him down. “I can’t. I promised my mum and dad I would be home for Christmas.”

Severn’s mouth drooped into a sideways frown but he didn’t argue. He knew how important her family was to her, and he would never expect that she’d put him “ her friend for only five months now “ over the family she’s known her entire life. Severn would never believe someone would pick him over someone else if they were given a choice.

“I understand,” was all Severn had to say in response.

The rest of the day passed slowly. Lillian resigned to the fact that Severn wouldn’t come home with her, and Severn knew that she needed to be with her family. The last thing they wanted to be doing was listening to another History of Magic lecture. They had only a few days left to be together and had to spend them wisely.

As they walked back to Gryffindor Tower at the end of the day, trying to decide whether to play Exploding Snap or Wizard Chess before getting started on Transfiguration homework, Jamie bounded up behind them and interrupted.

“So Lillian, you change your mind about staying at Hogwarts now that you know I’ll be here?” he said and laughed. Daniel was just behind him and threw Jamie a wink as if to say “Go get her!”

“Because you think your presence would entice me to stay? Think again,” Lillian said.

She shrugged Jamie off easily as she and Severn entered the portrait hole. That boy just never seemed to give up despite how many times Lillian had made it clear that she wanted to have nothing to do with him.

Then again…had she ever explicitly told him she never wanted to see or speak to him? That he was wasting his time by showing off in front of her? That she had no desire for him and no intention of returning his affection? Perhaps not. Lillian wasn’t sure and didn’t wish to think any more on the matter. If Jamie couldn’t take a hint by now, there was no hope for his tiny brain to grasp it.

Lillian and Severn took their usual spot on the comfy chairs by the fireplace, glad to be free of Jamie. With any luck they wouldn’t have to see him again until Care of Magical Creatures tomorrow morning.

“Wizard Chess it is,” Severn said. “Takes much longer to finish one of these games. I don’t suppose there’s a reason for that, is there, Ms. Procrastinator?” He smiled facetiously and delighted in the broad grin on Lillian’s face.

“Oh, hush!” Lillian said, laughing. “I’m not procrastinating. I’m enjoying time with my best friend while I still can. If my enjoyment happens to delay my work on Transfiguration, then so be it.”

Lillian was still laughing at the thought of Severn making a joke. He was usually so stoic and serious; this was a new side of him.

She was also certain that Severn had never had a friend before her that he liked well enough to joke with. The thought that she was the one who allowed him to let his guard down lifted her spirits and made up for the disappointment that he wouldn’t come home with her. Lillian hadn’t felt this close to him since that night under the tree.

“Check,” said Severn. Lillian must have had an increduluous look on her face because Severn immediately asked, “What?”

“Nothing, I just wasn’t paying close attention. Lost in thought.”


The day came for Lillian to pack her trunk. She was excited and anxious to go home, but reluctant to leave Severn behind “ especially since Jamie would be at Hogwarts, too. A bad feeling she couldn’t explain resonated in her mind.

“Have fun,” she said to Severn before boarding the train in Hogsmeade. “And stay out of Jamie’s way, if you can.”

“I’m not afraid of him,” he replied, in a tone that sounded convincing.

Lillian put a hand on his bicep to plead with him. “I know, but still. I would feel better if you two kept your distance.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about that.”

Aside from having to sleep in the same room, eat at the same table for every meal, and attend all the same classes, Jamie and Severn did tend to avoid each other as much as possible. It would be only too much to hope for that situation to continue into the holiday season.

“Write to me,” Lillian requested. “I’ll feel so weird not talking to you every day.”

“If you write to me.”

The steam engine’s whistle blew to signal the last call. Lillian looked to the train and back to Severn, and then slowly she approached to hug him. She held him tight around the neck and almost didn’t feel Severn’s arms wrapped timidly around her waist.

“Happy Christmas, Severn.”

“Yeah, Happy Christmas.”


Lillian hadn’t been able to wait two days before writing Severn her first letter. She was so used to sharing everything with him that being apart seemed unusual. Geographical distance wasn’t enough to keep her from him.

A small tawny owl delivered the letter to Severn just before dinnertime. He tucked it securely in his pocket to keep until after his meal. For some reason the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding smelled and tasted more delicious than ever that night; it must have been the excitement and happiness about the letter effecting his senses.

“What are you grinning about?” Jamie asked rudely. “Have you got some imaginary friends down there telling jokes?” He and Brandon Knightly, a fourth year Gryffindor, laughed with each other at Severn’s expense.

“I don’t need imaginary friends, Jamie, because unlike you, I have a real one.”

Brandon snickered under his breath and Jamie immediately took offense. “I have too got friends!” he snapped back. “More than you could ever dream of having!”

Severn took another bite and enjoyed it slowly before replying. “They’re your true friends are they? Tell me, has even one of them written you a letter yet?”

Jamie thought for a moment about all of his friends, and then decided it didn’t matter if they were true friends or not. Plenty of people knew him and liked him. That’s what mattered. Nobody writes letters after just two days, he thought bitterly to himself. They’re a waste of time, anyway.

“I see,” Severn said knowingly after Jamie didn’t respond. “No true friends. Pity. Remember the only common factor in all of your friendships is you.” With that last cutting remark, Severn left the table, and his empty plates and half-empty pumpkin juice glass disappeared. He quickly retreated to the first year boys’ dormitory where he could read Lililan’s letter in peace and solitude.

Dear Severn,

I know I just saw you on Saturday, but it feels like a lot longer than that. Fortunately Mum has put me to work around the house to get ready for Christmas. My little sister, Karen, is cleaning windows now. Mum says she gets the easy jobs because she’s only seven and can’t be trusted with polishing the silver. It’s not the most exciting job but it keeps me occupied.

Mum doesn’t normally care so much if the house looks perfect, but my grandparents and all my cousins from Sheffield are arriving tomorrow. I wish you were here so you could meet my Uncle Larry (Mum’s brother). He has the greatest sense of humor and always brings presents from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. I’ll be sure and save you some.

How are things going at Hogwarts? I hope there are some others around besides Jamie so that you may at least have someone to talk to. It must be dreadful having to deal with that prat on your own. But don’t worry “ the holiday will be over before you know it! Then things can go back to being normal again.

I must be going. Dad’s going to find a Christmas tree and needs some help. It beats polishing silver! Write back soon.

Your friend, Lillian

Severn read her letter twice, paying special attention to the words, “I wish you were here.” He traced the meticulously written letter with his fingers, knowing that she had once held this parchment in her hands. Severn especially loved the intricate lettering of his name “ the way the S swirled about on both ends and each letter had a pretty little curve and graceful movement to the next.

He wasted no time in beginning his reply. Lililan seemed anxious to know how he was surviving with Jamie around, so Severn decided it would be thoughtful to quickly assure her that everything was as good as could be expected. The castle was big enough that they could generally stay out of each other’s way for the majority of the time.

Just as Severn was nearing the end of his letter, he heard footsteps coming up the stairwell. He turned the parchment over on the table and hastily grabbed a book to pretend to read. His letter to Lillian was none of Jamie’s business, after all.

“What’re you doing?” asked Jamie as he entered the dormitory.

“What does it look like?”

“Ok, smart ass, you’re reading. Well quit reading for a minute ‘cause I’ve got something to say,” Jamie said determinedly.

Severn laid the book down across his chest and waited for the confrontation to ensue.

“You left the Great Hall before I finished. I was going to tell you “ that, erm “ that I always get what I want.”

He stood at the foot of Severn’s bed with his knees locked and arms folded across his chest, looking rather like a pouting child.

“If I wanted any true friends, I would have them. But nobody at Hogwarts is my true friend. So just drop it!” Jamie finished.

Severn was actually quite surprised that Jamie had still been pining over the true friends issue they had squabbled about over dinner. From what he knew, Jamie seemed to care for nothing but his own personal gain. It didn’t occur to him that Jamie might ever be interested in a mutually dependent relationship like a true friendship.

But what didn’t surprise him was Jamie’s excuse for not having true friends “ that he didn’t want them. Even when trying to explain himself, Jamie hid behind his arrogance, not to mention his spoiled rotten attitude.

“Okay, dropped,” Severn replied.

“Good.” Without another word to Severn, Jamie turned and left the dormitory.

Inside, Jamie’s mind was reeling. It wasn’t as if he hadn’t tried to make real friends, nor that he didn’t want them. What bothered him most was that there was no feeling. Jamie knew every girl and boy in every year at Hogwarts “ at least by name and face “ not because he sought popularity, but because subconsciously he was searching for someone out of the crowd. Somehow Jamie knew that he had a best friend, two in fact, and had been searching for them all year. He made friend after friend, but none of them gave him the right feeling.

It was disconcerting to a boy like Jamie, a boy who always got what he wanted, to know that there was someone out there that he couldn’t find. Of course he had a handful of fairly good friends and an even bigger repetoire of acquaintances, but that wasn’t enough to satisfy a deep-seeded urge to find his best friends. After months of fruitless searching, Jamie had nearly given up.

The lights were out by the time Jamie returned to the dormitory. He could see a lump under the blankets on Severn’s bed. Jamie assumed he was asleep and got ready for bed himself.

“You’re wrong, you know,” Jamie said into the darkness.

He paused and thought he heard a muffled groan from Severn’s direction. Perhaps he would listen.

Jamie continued, “What you said earlier, about me not having any true friends. I did have true friends, once. I just don’t remember. Sounds like rubbish, huh?”

The blankets were thick and heavy “ perfect to keep him comfortable on a freezing night like this. Jamie snuggled into them and buried his face in his pillow. As he rustled with the sheets one last time, Jamie thought he heard Severn mutter the word, “No.”

“Sometimes I feel like maybe Lillian could be my true friend,” he said, aware that he might not be speaking loud enough for Severn to hear him. “I feel like we should be…more than what we are now. But it’s impossible, right? That doesn’t make any sense. She hates me. And you hate me. You two are friends, so you both hate me together.”

“Fine line between love and hate,” Severn said groggily. “Friendships are funny things. They change people. They’re impossible to explain, only to feel. And you never know how they’ll turn out.”

What Severn said hardly seemed coherent at all, but at the same time it made perfect sense to his tired brain.

“So you don’t think I’m crazy?” Jamie asked, and then wondered if that was a wise choice.

“Oddly enough,” Severn said. Within seconds he was breathing deeply and steadily, sound asleep.

Jamie drifted off to sleep slowly, thinking about his lost friendships and whatever could have happened to them. He knew he wasn’t mad; Severn even said so. So what could have possibly made this come about? He hadn’t any answers, but he had comfort in knowing that his secret wasn’t locked up inside anymore, and that someone else might actually understand.

The more he thought about his friendships, the more convinced he was that he and Lillian would be friends. It was how it should be. He felt it in his bones that eventually he would win Lillian over. It would have been easier to do if his true friends hadn’t deserted him, but maybe Severn could help things along.


Early the next morning, before Jamie had even opened his eyes, Severn was awake and writing away at a new draft of his letter to Lillian. His quill scratched feverishly on the new parchment, telling her every detail about his conversation with Jamie and analyzing what happened for her. The last thing he did before giong to the owlery was crumple the old letter in a tight ball and toss it toward the bin.

When Jamie finally awoke, he was alone, which made him both relieved and disappointed. Last night he realized that what Severn said about his friends was right. Jamie hadn’t told anyone at Hogwarts “ or anywhere else, for that matter “ how he felt like his true friends were missing, that there was a gap in his soul where friendships belonged. He almost wished that Severn had still been in the dormitory so they could talk some more in comfort… But what more could he say?

Whether they talked again or not, Jamie felt like his conversation with Severn had been a turning point. He realized it had been fairly one-sided, with Jamie confessing his secret and telling Severn why he was wrong, but the way Severn responded was encouraging somehow. Severn might still think he was conceited and rude, but didn’t think he was a liar or a nutcase. Maybe Severn wasn’t so bad after all. It seemed like maybe today would be the start of something better.

Jamie forced himself out of bed and landed barefoot on the freezing stone floors. He dressed in his heaviest sweater and thickest socks to warm up quickly. His stomach growled in his ear as he bent to tie his shoelaces, but instead of rushing off to the Great Hall for breakfast, Jamie stopped.

He had caught a glimpse of a wad of parchment on the floor near Severn’s bed and curiosity struck him. Schoolwork was over for the time being, so he knew it had to be something personal.

It’s not right, Jamie’s conscience warned him. For a split second Jamie considered walking away and forgetting it, especially considering the new light in which he now saw Severn.

But if he doesn’t find out, then what’s the harm? he countered. It’s probably just rubbish, anyway.

His mind was set. Jamie tiptoed stealthily over to Severn’s bed and picked up the discarded parchment. He knew he shouldn’t be reading, but the letter seemed to unfold of its own accord.

Dear Lillian,

I’m happy to hear that you are enjoying being home with your family, although the cleaning doesn’t sound like much fun. Of course I would like to be there with you and meet your Uncle Larry (except your mum would probably have me cleaning, too). Maybe you could say hello to him for me.

I know what you mean about two days feeling much longer than that. Without you here to talk to and play games with, Hogwarts really isn’t very exciting. At least it’s a great big castle so I can wander and explore a few things while I’m here with nothing to do.

As for company, Jamie and Brandon are the only Gryffindors still here. It’s not much beter than expected, but I suppose I’m surviving alright. Jamie keeps proving that he’s a stupid git who can only make conversation if he’s praising himself or putting down someone else. Honestly, I’ve never heard one intelligent thing out of his mouth. Tonight at dinner he felt the need to impress Brandon by making fun at my expense. It didn’t bother me so much, especially because I was able to turn it around and make him the joke. It might not have been the most civil thing to do, but he’s got to learn somehow. Boys as dense as Jamie will just never get it until someone smacks them in the face with reality.

I better be off to bed before this becomes a foot-long essay. Enjoy the rest of the holiday with your family, and I’ll do my best to suffer as little as possible in Jamie’s presence. I’ll write you if anything new and exciting happens.

Sincerely, Severn

Jamie fumed. He stared in disbelief and utter hatred at the letter, feeling nothing but contempt for its author. After everything they had talked about last night, after he bared his soul and confessed secrets he’d never told to anyone, Severn still thought of him as a low-life and insulted him behind his back. He’d never felt so betrayed.

Jamie didn’t even know what to be the angriest about: what the letter said, the fact that Severn had been writing to Lillian, or that Severn had been telling her every single detail to try to make Jamie look bad.

Again a feeling of possessiveness rose in his chest, and his outrage towards Severn boiled his blood. Lillian is mine! How dare that sniveling creep talk to her about me behind my back! He’s a no good liar and a conniving, deceitful bastard…

Jamie got lost in his trail of cutting insults and nearly forgot about breakfast. His feet carried him to the Great Hall for another purpose: to find Severn and beat the piss out of him.

Severn didn’t even see it coming. Before he knew it, he had been thrown onto his back when a forceful blow connected with his lower jaw. A trickle of blood ran down his lip and chin, and his head pounded from the impact of the floor. Jamie stood over him and grabbed him up by his robes, holding him close to appear more intimidating.

“You son of a bitch, Severn,” Jamie spat. “I can’t trust you, either. Just when you almost had me fooled.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Severn replied honestly. He had the taste of blood in his mouth and moved to wipe it with his sleeve.

“Just forget it. I had a feeling about you all along, and I guess I was right.”

Jamie left without another word. He had firmly made up his mind about Severn, not even asking or allowing him to explain the letter or defend himself. He decidedly pit himself against Severn from then on and worked towards taking the one thing Severn had that Jamie wanted. Lillian would be his, make no mistake.


The next day, Severn’s lip was still swollen to twice its normal size and was tender to the touch. He and Jamie hadn’t spoken two words to each other since their encounter, mostly because Jamie only scowled and quite often left the room if they happened to be together. The only communication Severn had to look forward to was a return letter from Lillian, though he didn’t even know if she’d received hers yet.

In fact, the school owl “ who was older and a much slower flyer than Lillian’s owl “ had delivered the new letter that morning. It awaited her on the kitchen table when she arrived for breakfast.

“He wrote!” she exclaimed. “And so quickly, too!”

Lillian, unlike Severn, hadn’t the patience to wait until after her meal; she ripped into the letter and immediately read its contents.

Dear Lillian,

I wrote you a letter last night and planned to send it today, but between then and now, something strange happened. This is actually the second letter, because everything I said in the first seems invalid…at least somewhat. This sounds confusing, so let me explain.

Jamie and I hadn’t been getting on very well, as usual, but it hadn’t been torture. We only saw each other at mealtime and bedtime, so it wasn’t too hard to avoid him. Last night’s dinner started like any other: he insulted me, I insulted him back and got the better of him, and then I left. It was a simple comment about his lack of true friends and the obvious reason why.

Well, apparently Jamie has a real weakness when it comes to friendships. He used his arrogrance and self-entitlement to make excuses, but basically he said he had been trying to find true friends all year. He told me all about how he feels like he should have true friends but he just can’t find them, how he knows he used to have true friends and doesn’t remember. I know I was half-asleep and all, but I honestly thought I was dreaming.

The weirdest part of all was when he started talking about you. Jamie said something about how he felt like you and he should be better friends than you are now “ something more. I admit I thought it was ridiculous (and still think it’s highly unlikely) but there was a sincerity and tone of absolute conviction in his voice. I don’t know where it came from, but it wasn’t the voice of the Jamie you and I know.

You really should have been there because I know I’m not getting it all down right. It was just so odd to hear him talk like that “ without pretense or agenda “ and actually seem to trust me. I’m starting to think maybe he’s not so bad, after all. Of course he’ll always be a stuck-up prat, but there’s another side of him we just haven’t seen. There’s hope for him yet to be a normal human being.

Long letter. Didn’t mean to take up so much space with this, but thought it was important and that you’d want to know. Glad you are having a good time with your family. Write soon!

Sincerely, Severn

Lillian was puzzled from the start upon reading Severn’s letter. She hadn’t expected this sort of behavior from Jamie, and yet she was happy, delighted even. Lillian told herself it was the fact that he had acted civil and almost friendly towards Severn, had been brave enough to take an emotional risk, and nothing to do with the fact that he mentioned her name.

Her bewildement gave way to daydreaming about the farfetched possibility that the three of them could become friends. Maybe Jamie would find the friends he had lost.

But she had no idea that those new hopes were in vain. The damage had been done and set in stone, all because of a discarded letter and a boy who couldn’t trust.

Hidden by GryffindorGoddess
Author's Notes:
I apologize for the delay with this chapter. School and a slight writer's block got in the way... My deepest thanks go out to Snape's Talon/Sandy for being my support group, cheerleader, and beta throughout this fic. You are amazing!

The winter holidays passed much too slowly for Lillian’s liking. She had received several letters from Severn over those two weeks, detailing all the dramatic happenings back at Hogwarts, and was anxious to get back to see him.

The one thing Severn hadn’t mentioned to his best friend was his swollen lip, compliments of Jamie’s knuckles. It had returned to normal and showed virtually no signs of the encounter, so Lillian would never know the difference.

It shouldn’t have come as a surprise to him then, when Lillian was more receptive to Jamie’s advances after the new term had begun. Severn’s first letter about the honest confession Jamie had made to a person he didn’t even like made her reevaluate her opinions and see Jamie in a new light. Lillian had even gone as far as to smile at him in the corridors when he said hello.

Severn realized that Lillian wouldn’t fawn over him since she didn’t even know he had been injured, but he didn’t count on Lillian changing her attitude toward Jamie. Worst of all he couldn’t tell her why he was still avoiding Jamie.

“Are you okay?” Lillian asked him one afternoon after Divination.

Severn barely had time to answer before she added, “You seem upset.”

“I’m not upset,” he answered untruthfully, not even meeting her eyes.

He couldn’t tell her it was because Jamie stared at her all through their last lesson. He couldn’t tell her he was jealous, that he wished she would write Jamie off completely. After all, they were supposedly on their way to a new friendship.

Lillian watched ahead of her as Jamie and Daniel turned the corner on the way to Transfiguration. “He’s not that bad, you know. You said yourself there’s hope for him.”

When had he said that? Of course, the letter. She must have memorized it…but why? Why did she care so much whether there was hope for Jamie or not?

Severn’s stomach churned and he wanted to scream, to shout the truth so that it rang out through every room and corridor of the stone castle. He punched me! Just after I thought he might change! But it was too late to say it now. By saving his pride for Lillian, he had opened a gateway for Jamie. His lying by omission had spiraled out of control.


Severn never did tell Lillian the truth about the night he wrote the letters. He had wanted her to see for herself what Jamie was like, so that it would be her decision alone when she rejected him in favor of Severn. But his plan had failed. Although Jamie might have been self-centered and pretentious, he was not mean-spirited (as far as Lillian knew). Lillian saw past Jamie’s cocky attitude and, as the years went on, she grew more tolerant of him.

In their third year, Jamie had earned a spot on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, so naturally Lillian cheered for him at the matches. They also opted to continue many of the same classes into N.E.W.T. Level. Much to Severn’s displeasure, Lillian often invited Jamie into their late night study groups. She had given up on making heads or tails of their innate dislike for each other and forced them to deal with their contempt at least some of the time.

Severn had remained Lillian’s most trusted friend, yet he still felt like she was slipping away from him. In his mind Jamie was invading his most sacred friendship with Lillian and threatening to elbow him out. And he had no idea how to fix it. Unlike Jamie, Severn didn’t have the talent to play Quidditch or the gumption to entertain an audience of classmates. He didn’t have the charm to flatter a girl or the bravado to pursue her. It seemed Jamie had it all. He was an unstoppable force and would take Lillian unless something was done.

He knew it was possible. Severn had a feeling in his bones that it was a likelihood “ nay a certainty “ that Jamie would win in the end unless he acted first.


In the fall semester of their seventh year, Severn had a revelation. It came one evening that started out as any other: Wizard’s Chess with Lillian as they wound down after a long day of demanding classes. Everyone was in high spirits after the recent defeat of Slytherin’s Quidditch team, especially the team captain, Jamie Novak.

“Hey Lillian, you know next weekend is a Hogsmeade weekend,” Jamie told her matter-of-factly.

“Ah. I didn’t realize,” she answered, her voice monotone and emotionless as she planned her next move on the chessboard.

“Well, I was wondering if you’d like to go with me to celebrate the win.”

The room was still as Jamie held his breath, awaiting her answer.

“Not this time, Jamie. Severn and I have plans. Thanks though.”

Lillian didn’t say it rudely, just directly. She hadn’t meant to be hurtful or inconsiderate of his feelings. It was just the truth.

“Whoa buddy, not another rejection!” came Daniel’s voice from the opposite couch. “Maybe it’s time you move on. She’s had six years to say yes and she hasn’t done it yet. You know Simone is looking for a date, you might have a better chance with her.”

At that point Severn had completely tuned out. His mind focused on that one simple statement: “She’s had six years to say yes and she hasn’t done it yet.” Why hadn’t she said yes? If Jamie was so outgoing and funny… If Jamie was so athletic and popular…and moving in on his best friend.

There was a reason she hadn’t said yes…yet. Maybe she hadn’t let Jamie take his spot in her heart. Severn needed to act.


Mondays began with History of Magic. Lillian and Severn entered the classroom to find Jamie and Daniel in their usual seats, right in front of them. Today was the same as it had been for the last month “ Lillian greeted them both, and Severn nodded to Daniel. Professor Finklestein quickly interrupted the unspoken tension between Severn and Jamie.

“History of Magic,” she began, “is as much the study of the magicians as it is the actual magic. Witches and wizards have been making contributions to magic for thousands of years, and a select number of them will be the focus of our upcoming lessons.”

Suppressed groans echoed throughout the class.

Professor Finklestein continued talking above her students. “I expect these projects to meet rigorous standards, which we will outline now.”

“Excuse me, Professor?” Jamie’s hand was raised and he sat perfectly upright, looking like a charming and well-behaved pupil. “I wonder if we might take the opportunity to work with a partner on this project, so to better meet the rigorous standards you require?”

He glanced over his shoulder and smiled at Lillian as he winked at her.

“Out of the question. As always, you’ll do well to remember that I am the professor and I make the rules. If you are not capable of completing a simple project on your own, then I question whether your brainpower is suited to N.E.W.T. Level History of Magic,” Professor Finklestein admonished.

Severn snickered as Jamie’s shoulders slumped and looked physically smaller than he had in years. Lillian, on the other hand, watched him with pity. Though he deserved being put in his place for his constant asinine comments, she almost felt sorry for him.

The class was silent as they copied a list of guidelines for the research project, including the witch or wizard’s early life, education, and contributions to magic and the modern day. Eyes glazed over as the outline grew longer and longer. Students were only engaged at the end of the lesson, when they were instructed to take a folded piece of parchment from a bowl that floated past their desks. As they opened the parchment, names appeared across the paper as if written by a quill pen at that very second.

Names were being said out loud around the room as students opened their parchments. Such witches and wizards as “Albus Dumbledore,” “Nicholas Flamel,” “Paracelsus,” “Queen Maeve,” and “Harry Potter,” had already been chosen by the time the bowl came around to their side of the room.

Lillian drew first and watched as the name “Severus Snape” appeared on her parchment. Interesting, she thought. That name resonated in her mind and clenched at her heart.

Next to her Severn opened his own parchment and read aloud “Remus Lupin.” He had heard the name before, in association to the Harry Potter saga, but had no real reason to know his life story before. He didn’t notice Jamie’s ears perk up at the sound of that familiar name.

Jamie turned around so quickly that he nearly fell off his stool. He tried not to sound too interested, but his expression gave him away.

“Say, Severn?” Jamie began in his nicest tone of voice. “Mind switching me? This wizard I’ve got sounds like he’s more your type anyway. Gorgovitch sounds pretty strange, just like you.”

Without waiting for an answer, Jamie was already calling out to Professor Finklestein.

“Hey, Professor! Do you mind if Jamie and I switch wizards? We’ve already agreed “ ”

Professor Finklestein, not even deeming Jamie’s question worthy of a response, cast a Silencing Charm on him that lasted the entire rest of the class period.


The next class meeting was held in the library, a “work day” as Professor Finklestein had called it. Each student was given strict instructions to work silently and diligently, and above all, make some progress on the research.

Lillian had no luck in the library’s Biography and Autobiography section, so she made her way to the area designated for the Hogwarts founders, alumni and affiliates. She didn’t know how it was possible, but somehow Lillian knew that Severus Snape had been a student at Hogwarts.

She plopped down a stack of books on a long wooden table and began to flip through the pages. The annuals weren’t much help, however. Except for showing a picture of Severus Snape for each year he attended Hogwarts, the books told her nothing. He didn’t belong to any organizations or win any awards. Severus Snape was an average student on paper; he blended in and got lost in the crowd.

But that face… His expression resembled her best friend’s when he was sulky. The similarity was undeniable. There had to be a reason why this man was so famous, but so far nothing out of the ordinary.

Lillian had finished looking through the annuals and was just opening another to look busy when Severn sat down beside her with his own stack.

“Any luck?” he asked.

“Nothing except old school pictures. Time to change tactics. Looks like you found a lot.”

Severn rolled his eyes. “Tell me about it! This Lupin guy must have been hot stuff to have all these books. Two of them are biographies, and the others are anthologies of wizards who made the most impact and so on. It’ll take me forever to get through all of this!”

Lillian thumbed through the pages of Severus Snape’s fourth year annual, absent-mindedly looking at names and pictures of his classmates. “Wait, did you say Lupin? As in Remus Lupin?”

Severn confirmed with a nod.

“What year did he start Hogwarts?”

A few seconds of searching through one of the biographies found that Remus Lupin had not only attended Hogwarts at the same time with Severus Snape, but that they had actually been in the same year. Lillian slid the annual over to Severn and pointed at Remus Lupin’s fourth year self.

“Well that must have been a good year for talented students,” Severn said. “Maybe they were friends.”

Lillian threw him a skeptical look. “I highly doubt that. Look at Snape’s pictures. He doesn’t look very friendly at all.”

“Maybe he was having a bad day.“ He paused as Lillian showed him Severus’s pictures from the other annuals. “Every year on picture day.”

“Severn,” Lillian said seriously. “Look at the pictures. Look closely. Do you notice anything peculiar about this guy?”

Severn studied each picture in chronological order, unable to hide his bewildered expression. “So he looks a little like me. They say everyone has a twin somewhere, right?”

Lillian had heard that expression but wasn’t so sure. “Even your names are close. I just thought you might be related. Too weird to be a coincidence, right?”

He wanted to deny it. It was crazy that Severn Elliott could be related to someone apparently so instrumental to the history of magic, especially given his family’s past…well, what he knew of it. His mother hadn’t brought her heritage with her when she immigrated to England.

“Can’t be. My surname is different, and Mum left all her family in Ireland,” Severn said. “I’ve never even met them.”

Lillian was still not completely convinced. There was something oddly familiar about Severus Snape, something she felt she ought to know.

“That’s all I can do for now I guess,” Lillian said defeated. The pile of annuals had given her no information; quite the opposite, they only left her with more questions. Who was Severus Snape?


That night in the boys’ dormitory, Severn continued his research of Remus Lupin. So far he had learned that Lupin went to school with Severus Snape, was bitten by Fenrir Greyback and suffered the torments of being a werewolf, and was later a professor at Hogwarts. Despite his original dislike for Lupin (though Severn knew not where his aversion came from), he was beginning to like Remus Lupin.

Just as Severn began the chapter about Lupin’s life as a member of the Order of the Phoenix, Jamie disturbed the quiet of the room. He hadn’t said anything out loud “ just sat on his bed staring at Severn’s book, waiting for him to speak.

“What are you looking at?”

The only words these two boys had exchanged since the winter holidays of their first year had been ones of anger, jealousy, or snide and insulting remarks. Severn had no reason to suspect things would change now.

Jamie didn’t fight back, but answered simply. “Your book. Remus Lupin?”

“And?” Severn asked. He hadn’t even looked up from the page.

“Nothing.”

Jamie changed his mind. He couldn’t talk to Severn about this, not in a million years.

He feigned napping while waiting for Severn to put the book away and go to sleep. It was after midnight when Severn’s light went out. Jamie allowed twenty minutes to pass to make sure Severn was asleep before slipping the book out of Severn’s trunk and tiptoeing down the spiral staircase. This was his chance to find out about the wizard that caused such familiar shadows of memory.

He flipped through the pages, only briefly skimming the bits about Lupin’s early life, and focused on his adolescence and young adulthood. He learned that the boy had attended Hogwarts and made decent grades.

A portion of the book was devoted to Lupin’s personal life in and outside the walls of Hogwarts, including the relationships with his closest friends. Lupin was quoted as saying that James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew were the “best mates” any boy could have ever wished for. He especially missed his friend James terribly since his death in fighting He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

A switch had clicked in Jamie’s brain. That name “ James Potter. It was even more meaningful than Remus Lupin, but why? He felt intensely close to these people but couldn’t reconcile the fact that he had never met them. Indeed Lupin had been dead for over forty-five years, and James Potter even longer than that. It just didn’t make sense.

Jamie read on, hoping to learn more.

“It was awful. James was so young,” the book quoted Lupin. “And he had left behind his wife and one-year-old son, Harry, whom we all know grew up to defeat the most evil wizard of all time. James would have loved to have been a part of Harry’s life.”

Jamie’s heart skipped a couple of beats and then felt like it was racing to catch up.

James Potter…Harry Potter…Remus Lupin… All those names swirled around in his head like a maniacal tornado, preventing him from grasping any meaning or understanding of his connection with them. His frustration led him to grunt in anger.

“Would you mind being more considerate of others over there?” a voice said testily. “Some people are trying to study for the Transfiguration exam tomorrow.”

It came from a far corner of the common room. Even though he couldn’t see her face in the dimly lit area, he knew the voice belonged to Lillian.

“Sorry, I…”

Jamie looked down at the book and tried to come up with any excuse for his behavior that didn’t involve making his true love think he was mad. Nothing came to him, so he simply stopped talking.

Suddenly a shadow appeared over him as Lillian moved closer to his chair.

“You’re having trouble studying, too, I take it?”

This was Jamie’s chance to spend more quality time with Lillian, yet he was about to blow it by telling her the truth.

“Not exactly. I don’t really know what I’m doing, to be honest.”

He paused, wondering if he should take the risk to confide in Lillian. Ever since I heard this guy’s name “ Remus Lupin “ I haven’t been able to think of anything else other than finding out who he is,” Jamie admitted in one long breath.

“Why do you care? He isn’t even your research topic.”

“Because I know him,” Jamie replied seriously. “At least I feel like I do. Or I should. I don’t know how I know him, but I do. It’s driving me crazy because I don’t know how or why I feel so close to this guy.”

Jamie turned the book so Lillian could read the section about Lupin’s friends. He couldn’t read her expression, but at least she wasn’t laughing at him.

“And this one most of all,” I said, pointing to James Potter’s name. “I’ve never even heard of him until about ten minutes ago, but I know him.”

He sighed deeply and ran his hands through his black hair, tempted to try to pull it out lock by lock. This was too much for a kid to handle so late at night.

“James Potter? Harry Potter’s father? How in the world would you know him?” Lillian asked, growing more suspicious of Jamie by the minute.

She had begun to trust him more over the years, but she still never vested much in his reliability and honesty. There was something about him that always made her uncomfortable around him.

When Jamie couldn’t explain any of her questions, she asked another.

“And anyway, where did you get this book? I though Severn had checked it out from the library.”

“I borrowed it, okay?” Jamie snapped. “And I’m going to put it right back where I found it after I’m done reading. Boy, Severn sure has it made with you always there to be his mother.”

Lillian fumed. “Calm down. I was only asking,” she said as evenly as she could. “And I am not Severn’s mother!”

Jamie watched Lillian storm away, her red hair swishing behind her, as she headed towards the girls’ dormitory.

“I thought you were studying,” Jamie called after her.

“I’m finished. Goodnight,” she answered curtly.

But Jamie did not have a good night. In fact, he only slept a few hours, and those were interrupted by dreams of a past he never knew existed. He saw broken images of James Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew. He felt the bond between the boys, the strength of their friendship. He saw a girl with red hair more beautiful than any he had ever laid eyes on, and a greasy-haired boy whom he despised simply for being close to her.

All of this Jamie dreamed while looking through James Potter’s eyes.

The Restricted Section by GryffindorGoddess

After a brutal Transfiguration exam the next day, Severn and Lillian headed down to the greenhouses for N.E.W.T. Level Herbology. They could always count on Professor Neville Longbottom to give them a break; while he was a dedicated professor who truly believed his subject was worthwhile to all witches and wizards, his assignments were nowhere near as challenging as Professors Valenti and Finklestein’s were.

Plus, the professor was so enthusiastic about Herbology that his attitude was contagious even to those not passionate about plants.

“…and that’s how the Poison Dart Root gets its name! Isn’t that fascinating?” Professor Longbottom said, unable to hide an elated grin.

A student in the front row raised her hand.

“You don’t think there are any Poison Dart Roots around Hogwarts do you? I don’t think my shoes are thick enough… What if I stepped on one?”

Several of the other students laughed, but Professor Longbottom quieted them easily with his calm voice.

“That is a legitimate concern, Phyllis,” Professor Longbottom said, affirming his ‘there are no stupid questions’ belief. “But you needn’t worry. Poison Dart Roots thrive only in tropic regions, and inside greenhouses if they are well cared for, of course.”

He looked proudly over at the pot that appeared to be filled with soil and have no plant growth at all, knowing that a deadly root grew just inches below the surface.

“Erm, but that’s not to say that you should have one of your own in a greenhouse. As you know they are very dangerous. I don’t recommend you try to buy one,” he added quickly.

“Don’t worry,” a boy in the middle row muttered, eliciting laughs from everyone in the room “ including Professor Longbottom.

Another hand went in the air.

“Sir?” a short girl with long, straight blond hair asked. “If we were to have a plant of our own to study, perhaps as a start to our own greenhouse collection, what would you recommend?”

Professor Longbottom beamed at the girl. His N.E.W.T. Level class was small by any standards “ averaging nine students per section “ so it was even rarer that one of his students was interested in continuing Herbology after Hogwarts.

“Well, you know when I was in Hogwarts, even younger than you, I had a Mimbulus mimbletonia. They are fairly hard to come by, but not dangerous in the least.”

“Hey,” Lillian whispered as she nudged Severn in the side. “Did you hear what he just said? He was a student here. That had to have been ages ago, judging by the smile wrinkles around his eyes. Maybe he…”

“…knew Remus Lupin!” Severn responded, suddenly more alert.

They nodded knowingly to each other. When class was over, the two seventh-years held back, pretending to take an extra long time packing their supplies so that they could have a private moment with Professor Longbottom.

“Professor?” Lillian said, initiating the conversation. “Do you mind if we talk to you for a second?”

“Not at all!” Professor Longbottom replied. “Are you interested in finding nice house plants, too?”

Lillian averted her eyes guiltily, afraid to disappoint her teacher.

“Not exactly, but maybe next time. I “ we “ actually just had some questions about a past Hogwarts professor that you might have known. Have you ever heard of Remus Lupin?”

“Have I heard of him? Professor Lupin was my Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor in third year! He taught me how to dispel a boggart and ward off a dementor. I wasn’t very good at it so Harry really had to… Well, anyway, that’s another story.”

Severn’s interest was piqued. He could have the best project in the class now that he could get first-hand accounts of his subject, Remus Lupin, from a man who actually knew him!

“Yes, Professor Lupin was a very gifted teacher. He was the first Defense teacher I ever had who really knew what he was doing. In fact, he was one of the best teachers at Hogwarts. Back in those days the professors here weren’t held to quite the same standards as they are now. Boy, I remember my Divination Professor, Trelawney, a little off her rocker, she was. And my Potions Professor, Snape, made my life miserable every chance he got.”

“Sorry to interrupt you, Professor, but what did you just say? About Professor Snape? Who was he?” Lillian asked.

It could have been the first significant piece of information Lillian had discovered since being assigned the research project, so she had to pursue her lead.

“Severus Snape, that’s right. Personality like a Tangle Vine. If you were even the least bit vulnerable he attacked and didn’t let go until you were completely humiliated. He was brilliant, though. I did learn a lot about Potions, but I’m not sure if it was worth suffering through years of his class.”

Professor Longbottom did a quick double take to Severn’s face. He thought he saw a familiar flash of resentment in Severn’s dark eyes. He shook it off and continued talking.

“During my seventh year he was my Defense Against the Dark Arts professor “ the last year he ever taught. He…he was murdered that year.”

Lillian gasped.

“Why so interested?” Professor Longbottom asked.

“Our research project for Professor Finklestein,” Severn replied. “I was assigned Remus Lupin; Lillian was assigned Severus Snape.”

“And I can’t find a single book in the library about him. No biographies, no authored works, nothing. Just a few old annuals with a single picture from each year he attended school,” Lillian said, sounding rather frustrated.

“You’re right, there wouldn’t be any biographies on Severus Snape, and certainly no autobiographies. He was a very private person, reserved, and kept to himself nearly all the time. And he didn’t technically write any potions manuals or research findings, either.”

Lillian leaned on the desk, intently listening to Professor Longbottom’s information. Severn sat beside her and took vigorous notes so she would have a permanent record for later. He knew she would thank him for it later.

“You say technically. What do you mean by that, Professor?” Lillian pried.

“Oh, erm,” Professor Longbottom stumbled, wondering how to divert her interest.

He knew he probably shouldn’t have said anything about the Half-Blood Prince’s Potions text, but now how could he avoid it?

“It’s not much, really,” he said, trying to brush Lillian off. “Just an old Potions text that Snape had written in. Lots of that dangerous stuff, though. It wouldn’t be kept in the general section in the library for just anyone to stumble upon “ if it still exists at all. Snape was no dunderhead when it came to Potions, even though everyone knows all he wanted to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

“Really? Why would anyone want to do that?” Lillian asked, desperate to know everything she could.

Professor Longbottom looked at a row of potted plants that sat against the wall of the greenhouse, which had just turned from pale yellow to a darker orange.

“Oh, look at the Hour Herbs. I’m afraid I have a faculty meeting in twenty minutes. Might we continue this conversation later?” he said, stacking papers and haphazardly stuffing them into a brown leather satchel.

“But sir, the projects are due next week,” Lillian told him. “Is there anything else you know that might help us learn more about him?

He considered for a minute what piece of information he might tell them that they could use but that also wouldn’t require hours of explaining Snape’s life story.

“Snape had a portrait in the Headmaster’s office. Whether it’s still there, I don’t know, but if you found it you could talk to him,” Professor Longbottom said as they headed out into the warm spring air. “Make sure you get permission, of course.”

Lillian and Severn watched their professor walk away, their minds spinning with all the new information about the previously unknown man named Severus Snape. There was something intriguing about Longbottom’s account. Lillian knew there was more to the story than the cryptic hints Professor Longbottom had dropped; she needed to know more.

“So, what now?” she asked Severn.

“Now, dinner. Later…the Restricted Section.”


The library closed at ten o’clock each evening, with the exception of Fridays, on which days the library closed at six so that Madam Lazarus could enjoy at least a few hours of peace and quiet in her sanctuary. Today was Thursday, which meant students were constantly occupying every table, cramming for Friday’s exams.

“Well, it wasn’t very realistic for us to sneak into the Restricted Section at this hour anyway,” Severn whispered to a disappointed Lillian. “We’ll just come back tonight.”

They walked slowly around the mountainous shelves of books, pretending to be keenly interested in every title they came across. Madam Lazarus asked once if she could help them find something, and when they refused her help, she tutted under her breath and clicked her heels all the way over to a confused-looking first year. Lillian and Severn didn’t want to dray any attention to themselves. Their object was to scope out the Restricted Section “ since neither had ever paid much heed to it before “ and begin devising a plan for entry.

To their surprise, they found the Restricted Section wasn’t heavily guarded at all. Only a thick rope, the kind that can be found at Muggle motion picture theaters, blocked off a section of bookshelves.

“That’s a little absurd, isn’t it?” Lillian said, trying not to laugh.

“Yeah,” Severn agreed. “How do they expect to keep someone away using a single rope? Especially after labeling it ‘Restricted.’ They’re just asking for someone to break the rules.”

The sound of clicking heels echoing around the library grew louder, so Severn and Lillian hastily turned on the spot. Lillian found herself staring at books about vampires and Severn had already disappeared by the time Madam Lazarus intruded.

“Excuse me,” said Madam Lazarus.

She reached across Lillian to grab a book titled Vanquishing Vampires: A Defense Manual for Beginners, and then walked away without another word.

Lillian strolled through the shelves and met Severn just outside the library entrance. She explained, with a laugh, how Madam Lazarus wasn’t suspicious of them and had hardly even acknowledged Lillian’s presence.

“It’ll be much easier when we come back tonight,” said Severn as the two friends headed to the Great Hall for dinner. “No nosy librarians or studious underclassmen.”

“Do you really think so? I mean, yes there was just a rope keeping us out of the Restricted Section, but it can’t actually be that easy. What if the rope is under some sort of Disillusionment Charm and it’s actually an impenetrable door, or what if there’s some sort of alarm!” Lillian said, now beginning to panic at the thought of being caught and getting in trouble.

Severn shrugged it off and reassured her they would be fine.

“We’ve been given the finest education that Wizarding schools can offer, haven’t we? If we come to something like that, we’ll be able to handle it. Between us we make the highest marks in all of our classes. There’s nothing we can’t handle,” he said, laughing.

“Yeah, but I don’t think your high marks in Potions will really make much of a difference. Everyone knows Potions is the least useful class at Hogwarts,” she replied, grinning facetiously.

“Not true at all!” Severn argued, playfully defending himself. “Except in this case.”

Lillian laughed and Severn’s heart fluttered. He loved when Lillian laughed, especially if it was because of something he had said to intentionally case that response. The way her smile brightened up her entire face captured Severn’s eyes so that he couldn’t look away.

“Your skills at Charms might be useful, though,” he added, making her feel more confident and flattering her at the same time. “Just don’t worry about it. All we’re doing is borrowing a book. If they really didn’t want us to have it, the book would have been destroyed.”

“And I wouldn’t have been assigned to research Severus Snape,” Lillian added, feeling more determined than ever to get the book and solve the secret of this mysterious man.


At eleven o’clock, when all students had been herded out of the library and they were sure that Madam Lazarus was finished re-shelving used books, Severn and Lillian skulked through the shadows of Hogwarts towards their destination.

Alohamora,” whispered Lillian, and the large doors made a resounding clicking noise.

The two students flinched at the sound; surely someone would have heard it and come to investigate. They entered stealthily and locked the door behind them.

“Okay, here goes,” Severn said, bravely volunteering to enter the Restricted Section first.

Holding two book cases for support, Severn lifted his leg high above the rope and put it his foot across the barrier. Lillian held his robes at the back so that there was no chance of any object touching the rope and setting off an intrusion alarm.

Severn, now straddling the rope, let out his stale breath.

“Nothing happened,” he whispered in relief.

It was an odd sight to see Lillian hunched over so she could hold his robes, but Severn enjoyed the closeness.

“Now the next.”

Severn made it safely over the rope with no disasters. Now came the hard part “ getting Lillian over the rope.

“Maybe I better just look for the book myself, since I’m already here,” Severn suggested.

“Don’t be silly, this could take hours! We need both of us to be looking for the book or we might never find it.”

“But, erm…” replied Severn, unsure how he should hold her robes without accidentally touching her inappropriately.

Before he protested Lillian had already discarded her outer robes, revealing a form-fitting t-shirt and long pajama pants underneath them. The shirt scooped lower than any shirt Severn had ever seen her wear, and he tried hard not to stare at her breasts. They had a mission. He had to focus.

“It’s all right, you won’t have to hold my robes,” she said, and already had one leg over the rope.

But at she went to lift the other leg, Lillian found herself suddenly off balance and began to tilt too far to her right. She nearly screamed but Severn caught her around the waist with one arm and lifted her left leg over the rope with the other. They stumbled back against a bookshelf, Lillian pressed up against Severn and still in his grasp.

Lillian was breathing heavily with fear, imagining what might have happened if Severn hadn’t saved her from kicking the rope, and put her arms around Severn’s neck. He could hear her breathing and repeating ‘thank you’ as she hugged him; Severn hugged her back and never wanted to let go.

As Lillian pulled away, her cheek brushed against Severn’s and she let her face linger just centimeters from his lips. A moment’s hesitation left Severn still standing against the bookshelf, angry with himself for a missed opportunity, while Lillian perused the book titles.

Lumos,” they muttered, and instantly their wands lit up the black pathways of bookshelves.

“We’ll never find that book!” Lillian said dejectedly after skimming the shelves for nearly twenty minutes.

The tall rows of shelves seemed to go on forever, and they didn’t even know the title of the book they were looking for.

“Sure we will. Just keep looking,” Severn said, trying to convince himself as much as he was Lillian.

And then Severn saw something. A book larger than most around it, bound in a cover of worn black leather. It rested on the bottom shelf amongst manuals and texts that appeared to be classroom issue.

Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage.

Severus Snape’s name was nowhere to be found on the spine, cover, nor anywhere else on the book, but Severn knew this is what they had been searching for.

“Lillian, come here! I think I found it!”

They sat side by side on the floor and leaned against the wall, the book open across their knees.

“What a nasty old book,” Lillian said in disgust. She almost hated to touch it; the cover was so sticky with potion ingredients and caked with dust.

Severn flipped idly through the pages, quickly becoming bored with the Potions text all scribbled upon.

“This is exactly like our Potions book, just a little older. There’s no name in it or anything. How do we even know this belonged to Snape?” Severn said, let down after thinking he had finally been able to help Lillian with her project by finding the right book.

“No, it’s not like our book. Look,” Lillian told him, pointing to the instructions for a potion called the Draught of Living Death.

The potion’s ingredients list was identical to the list in the updated edition Lillian and Severn used, but the procedure was drastically different.

“There are steps missing from the printed instructions,” Severn realized.

“But they’ve been re-written in ink just beside the original instructions!”

Severn stared at the page a bit longer. “All well and good, but we still don’t know who this guy is. Maybe he was just good at Potions.”

“So good, perhaps, that Oscar Galleyhawk took a leaf out of Snape’s book when he re-wrote Advanced Potion Making? That must be Snape’s contribution to modern day magic.”

Severn stared at her.

“Don’t you remember the publication page? You’ve only used the text twice a week for the last two years. Severus Snape’s name!”

Lillian finally remembered where she had seen the name. Things were starting to make sense now.

But Severn didn’t remember the last time he had ever read a publication page in any kind of book, let alone a school text.

“I don’t know,” he replied skeptically. “Didn’t Professor Longbottom say this book was dangerous? If this is Snape’s book, and it was used to update a Potions text, why is it still here in the Restricted Section when the new texts are in the hands of mischievous children?”

“It could have been edited…” Lillian replied uncertainly.

Research on the details would come later. For now, the two decided to continue searching the book for any other information they could find. Severn began reading the changes penned in, while Lillian was more concerned with how they were penned.

“Severn, look at this.”

Lillian pointed to an added instruction that read, “Stir twice clockwise.”

“Do you notice anything weird? Look at the S.”

“He writes his S’s like me,” Severn replied, astonished that he had missed it. “A lot of people could write that way though…”

“But look at the C’s…and the E’s… And he doesn’t dot his I’s, just like you,” Lillian said.

“What are you saying, that I wrote in this book?” Severn said, frustrated because it felt like the whole night had been nothing but another dead end.

“Oh, come on, you know that’s ridiculous. I just think there’s something strange going on.”

Severn closed the book and shoved it back into the open slot in the bookshelf.

“That’s probably all we’re going to learn from this book. He fixes potions and he writes like me. Let’s get out of here.”

Reluctantly Lillian agreed with Severn; most likely they wouldn’t learn anything more from the beat-up Potions book “ at least nothing that would help clarify the link between her and Snape that Lillian felt so strongly.

Lillian took Severn’s hand to help her stand up, and they quietly exited the Restricted Section. For a brief moment as they walked through the library, she thought she saw a glimmer of Snape’s sixth year annual picture flash across Severn’s face.

She shook the delusion out of her mind. “No, it’s just the shadows playing tricks on me.”

Hogsmeade by GryffindorGoddess

Lillian should have been paying better attention during Friday’s Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts classes, but she just couldn’t tear her focus from the mystery of Severus Snape. She repeated the few clues they had over and over in her mind.

One: Snape was a student at Hogwarts, the same year as Remus Lupin, James Potter, and Sirius Black.

Then the memory of her short conversation with Jamie crept into her thoughts. He had said he knew James Potter, incredible as it may seem. If Jamie wasn’t exhibiting signs of schizophrenia and did indeed have some connection to Potter, could he have known Severus Snape as well? Would it even be possible?

Lillian brushed the thought away before she had time to consider asking Jamie her burning questions. There was no way he could be involved with her predicament… She continued silently rehearsing her list.

Two: Snape hated annual picture day and looked eternally sour in every picture ever taken of him.

Three: He was a professor at Hogwarts. He taught Neville Longbottom.

Four: His career was short-lived. Several years as Potions professor, one year as Defense professor, and then murdered. By whom? No telling.

Five: He was gifted in Potions. He defaced a textbook with insightful additions to the potions’ ingredients and processes. Apparently the book was dangerous.

Beyond that, Lillian had nothing.

She opened her Potions text and read the publication page for the umpteenth time, looking for anything that might help her, but to no avail. Lillian resisted the urge to rip out a few pages and crumple then loudly to take out her frustration of the unknown.

“Are you okay?” Severn whispered. “Your knuckles are white.”

“Oh, yeah…” Lillian replied, coming out of her revelry. She didn’t realize she had been clenching the book so hard.

She looked at the clock that hung on the wall behind Professor Waldorf. Four o’clock. Just one more hour of torturous class time left until she was free for an entire weekend.

The only problem with was that with every passing hour, the due date for the research project approached ever more closely.


“Come on, you need a break,” Severn greeted Lillian early Saturday morning.

Lillian was sitting on a couch in the common room, reading over the notes Severn had taken from their conversation with Professor Longbottom in case she had missed something. So far her efforts were fruitless.

Wait! There was the answer!

“Had portrait in headmaster’s office. Still there???”

The moment she read Severn’s meticulous note she remembered Professor Longbottom saying they could talk to Snape in his portrait “ that is if they could find it. Lillian’s mind began reeling with a plan of how to find the portrait and what to say when she finally did…

“Hey, did you hear me? I said come on and let’s go down to breakfast. You’ll drive yourself mad if you keep up your dead-end research like that,” Severn said, half-joking, half really wishing she would hurry up and come down to the Great Hall with him, because he was starving.

Severn gently pulled on Lillian’s sleeve, urging her toward the door. He would have loved to just entwine his fingers with hers and lead her out that way, but his self-consciousness and fear of rejection still hindered him from making any moves that went beyond their platonic friendship. Even after their close encounter in the Restricted Section, Severn wasn’t convinced of her affection.

“A day out in Hogsmeade will do you good,” he said, noting Lillian’s hesitation to leave her problematic schoolwork.

“Easy for you to say. You’re almost done with your project. I’m still stuck with a bitter professor who scribbled in a book that is now banned to students and then was murdered and fell off the face of the earth!” she rambled, her voice becoming ever more high-pitched and hysterical as she spoke.

Lillian was a dedicated student and hated to fall short of her full potential on assignments, but how was she to avoid it this time? Hogsmeade did not sound like a good idea right now. Play before work was surely a disaster in the making.

“Don’t worry, we’ll figure it out,” Severn said soothingly.

He turned to face her and put his hands on her arms, comforting her by his touch. Severn could see tears fill up but Lillian looked away from him before they could fall.

“I’m just so lost. What if I never find the answer?”

Defying his fear of intimacy, Severn was now hugging her tenderly, with Lillian’s cheek resting upon his shoulder. She held Severn around his waist and felt his hands running timidly through her hair.

Lillian thought Severn must know this wasn’t just about a research project, because he had never hugged her that way in all their years of friendship. The best part was that Severn needed no explanation. He didn’t ask what she meant by ‘finding the answer,’ nor did he dismiss her concerns as the simple ambitions of an over-achiever. It seemed to her that Severn just knew that her need to know ran deeper than it appeared on the surface.

Severn couldn’t boast to know exactly what Lillian was thinking or feeling as they embraced; he was occupied enough trying to plan his next words and actions so that it happened naturally and perfectly. Underneath his outward contentment in spending time with Lillian, his hidden feelings “ suppressed by years of doubt “ had always created a constant barrier around Severn’s heart. His need to be perfect in her eyes sometimes prevented him from letting his guard down and being entirely honest with Lillian.

But today was different. Something had changed.

As the day wore on, Severn found it easier than ever to be emotionally comfortable with Lillian. Even amidst Lillian’s stress about finding out the truth about Severus Snape, Severn felt truly at ease. Perhaps it was her vulnerability that had exposed his own feelings and made it okay for him to do so. Whatever the reason, the chilly day in Hogsmeade was warmer than any Severn could remember.

After an hour of perusing around Hogsmeade’s many shops, Severn and Lillian occupied a table for two at The Three Broomsticks, which had retained its name though the ownership had changed hands decades ago. Madam Lightfoot, the current owner and operator, was reputed to be an even better cook than the former. True or not, any Hogwarts student who visited Madam Lightfoot’s would be willing to bet on it.

“Mmm, this is so good,” Lillian said, sipping the first butterbeer she had tasted in months. “I’m glad we came out today.”

“Me too. You seem to be feeling a little better,” Severn replied tenderly.

He shifted and felt something brush lightly against his leg. It could have just been the table leg, but then it moved slightly and settled back to its contact with his calf. Severn realized that it had to be Lillian’s foot; she must have crossed her legs and needed more room…or had accidentally-on-purpose shifted positions to be closer to him.

Severn’s stomach fluttered and he couldn’t decide if he should keep his position or give Lillian the room she wanted. However, Lillian’s face showed no realization of this subtle touch, and his nervous excitement began to wane.

“A little, but I think more shopping might make me completely better,” she said, laughing as Severn rolled his eyes playfully.

Severn wasn’t very fond of idly wandering aisles of shops or searching for the best deals on clothing, and he could care less whether shoes were brown or black, heeled or peep-toe. But it made Lillian happy, and that was all that mattered.

They put on their outer cloaks, gloves and scarves, and headed out into the wind of March. The temperature seemed to have dropped considerably since they had ducked into The Three Broomsticks for lunch nearly an hour ago. It hardly seemed like so much time had passed.

The fiercely cold wind bit at Lillian’s nose and made her shiver, despite her layers of clothing. Lillian began walking closer to Severn until she was finally pushing her side right up against Severn for warmth. They began to walk faster to escape the blistering weather, but Severn was half tempted to slow down and keep Lillian beside him that much longer.

“So where exactly are we going?” Severn asked, though not exactly complaining as they continued to walk side by side.

Lillian was obviously deep in her own thoughts because she didn’t respond to Severn’s question. She had put her left hand into Severn’s pocket and he felt his face blushing hot against the bitter wind. Lillian rubbed her icy hand against his to create some heat, seemingly willing Severn to grasp it in return, but Severn couldn’t find the courage to return her advances.

Before they knew it, Severn and Lillian found themselves standing on the top of a hill overlooking a dilapidated shack. Chills ran down Severn’s spine when he saw the shack, but he chalked it up to the weather.

They had wandered past every shop in Hogsmeade and out into the uninhabited edge of the town. They stood, alone, together.

Lillian, still with her hand in Severn’s pocket, turned to face him. Her cheeks were rosy from the cold and her breath made a wisp of fog when she spoke.

“Severn,” Lillian said, so soft it was almost a whisper.

She stopped there, almost as if she hadn’t fully planned what to say next. Her hazel eyes gazed upward and got lost in his dark brown ones.

All the while, Severn was mustering up the nerve to open his heart. He had been so guarded about this feeling that all these years later it was hard to let it out. “There’s a reason she never said yes to Jamie,” he said mentally. “It’s possible that the reason is you. Look at her “ she’s begging you to say something. Say something, you idiot!”

“I…ca”” Severn choked off his own words of defeat and swallowed hard, regaining his control. He couldn’t allow himself to tell her “I can’t.”

He felt Lillian’s fingers running over his, gently, methodically, attempting to stabilize her own racing pulse as well as calm her nervous friend.

“It’s okay,” Lillian said, reassuring him. In that one simple sentence Lillian managed to convey to Severn every meaning she intended: It’s okay to be nervous; it’s okay to open up; it’s okay to love me.

Suddenly it seemed like every conversation, every special moment they had shared, was rushing back to him. Years of even the most serious talks paled in comparison to what he was about to tell her this time.

“You’re my best friend,” he said, his other hand now cupping her cheek. “And I couldn’t bear for you to be with anyone except me. I love you, Lillian.”

After the words left his mouth, Severn felt like the weight of a hundred years’ worth of regret had lifted from his shoulders. He knew he had just altered the course of his life and changed his fate forever.

Without saying another word, Lillian rose up on her toes and connected her parted lips with Severn’s. She felt her chest beating wildly as she kissed Severn deeper, moaning reflexively as Severn’s hand on her back pulled her closer to him. They parted for a mere second before meeting their lips again, this time brave enough to explore each other more thoroughly.

They parted reluctantly but remained within inches of each other, panting from the rush of emotion and release of sexual tension.

“I know you do,” she said breathlessly. Lillian barely finished saying “I love you, too,” before her open mouth had recaptured Severn’s thin but irresistible lips. Her free hand found its way to the back of Severn’s neck and held him close as his tongue slid across hers.

But their blissful moment was short-lived. Without warning a harsh and unwelcome voice sounded from behind them. They hadn’t heard anyone approach, enamored as they had been in each other’s embrace.

Whatever heartbreak or jealousy Jamie must have been feeling upon seeing the object of his affection being ravaged by his loathed enemy, he showed nothing but contempt and ridicule.

“Lovely day for a snog-fest, isn’t it? Interesting friends-with-benefits deal you got going on here, Severn. I must say I’m rather impressed “ although if I were you I’d be a bit embarrassed that I could only get a girl to kiss me on the outskirts of a small town, where no one could see and her denial would be easy,” Jamie said, glaring at Severn the whole time. He didn’t even acknowledge Lillian’s presence.

“We are not friends with benefits,” Lillian barked through gritted teeth.

“Oh, I understand completely. I won’t say a word about it to anyone, but only for your sake,” he said mockingly. “I would hate to ruin your reputation.”

Severn drew his wand in an instant and held it up to Jamie’s neck.

“Don’t say another fucking word,” Severn threatened.

“Stop it, both of you!” Lillian shouted.

Jamie had drawn his wand as well and both boys looked as if they would love nothing more than to curse each other into smithereens. They both wanted to listen to Lillian and be in her good graces, but they also couldn’t trust each other. Neither could be the first to withdraw from the challenge.

“Lillian loves me, and that’s the truth,” Severn said, poking the tip of his wand into Jamie’s flesh. “Now leave us be or you’ll regret you ever interfered.”

Jamie smirked cockily, unwilling to admit his defeat in the quest for Lillian’s heart.

“Tell you what. I’ll fight you for her. Just you and me, right now, no wands.”

“Jamie, you’re crazy!” Lillian yelled. “Stop all of this nonsense at once!”

Lillian watched the two boys put their wands away. Jamie curled his hands into fists but Severn was unsure about the ensuing conflict.

Severn couldn’t just walk away and let Lillian think he wouldn’t be protective of her, but the angry look in Lillian’s eyes told him that fighting was not the way to end his dispute with Jamie. He and Lillian had just shared the most perfect moment, the culmination of years’ worth of unspoken love, and now it was ruined by an arrogant, self-deserving prat who couldn’t handle being outdone by someone who was decidedly ‘beneath’ him.

Lillian marched briskly across the sloping terrain, absent-mindedly heading toward the crooked shack. She could hear footsteps behind her and hoped they belonged to Severn, but she didn’t turn to check until she had nearly entered the run-down old house.

“Is this the lovely dream home you and that sniveling creep will be sharing after your oh-so-happy marriage?” Jamie taunted, unable to hide his bitterness at losing her to Severn.

He stepped onto the creaking wood panels of the porch, avoiding spots where slats of wood were missing, and peered in through the windows where panes of glass must have been.

Severn had just approached, yet he stayed much farther away from the shack than either Jamie or Lillian. Something about it made him uneasy.

“What’s the matter, Severn? Scared of the old haunted Shrieking Shack? It’s just a myth, you know. I pwomise nothing bad will happen to you…and even if it did, Lillian is here to save you,” Jamie ridiculed, stepping past the doorway and into the main room of the shack.

Shut the hell up, Jamie! I have had enough of your hatefulness, your need to put others down to make yourself feel better, and most of all, your downright obliviousness!” Lillian shouted, absolutely livid.

Severn was shocked that she had let her temper go out of control, but he rather enjoyed that Jamie was getting his.

“Can’t you see that I am NOT interested in you?” she continued, hoping to put a stop to Jamie’s advances once and for all. “Perhaps there was one time when I thought you mightn’t be that bad, and every now and then you surprise me with your sensitivity “ like the other night when you mentioned James Potter “ but then you always, always revert back to that same selfish and immature nuisance! You will never change, and I for one could care less. Just stay away from me and leave Severn and me alone!”

Severn wanted to go to her, to wrap his arm around her shoulder and calm her down, but he couldn’t make his feet move any closer. It was like an invisible force field surrounded the shack that kept him at a certain distance. A feeling deep in his gut refused to let him go any nearer. That place was trouble, full of bad memories that Severn couldn’t recall.

Instead of going towards her, Severn backed up several paces and held out his hand, beckoning her to join him. Severn saw Jamie’s outline standing perfectly still inside the shack. Jamie watched Lillian the whole time she retreated into the arms of his enemy.

The short winter day was already coming to an end as the sun dipped ever closer to the horizon. Most of Hogwarts’ students were still enjoying the freedom and entertainment of Hogsmeade, but Severn and Lillian decided they had had enough of the cold little town for one day.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=76112