A Summer Neither Of Them Would Ever Forget by silver_sweetheart
Summary: Just before his sixteenth birthday, Harry receives two letters - one from Hermione, and the other from Cho. Harry is then forced to make a big decision.
Categories: Harry/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 7000 Read: 23379 Published: 12/28/04 Updated: 01/08/05

1. Two Letters And A Choice by silver_sweetheart

2. How Nice To See You Again! by silver_sweetheart

3. Why do I do such stupid things? by silver_sweetheart

4. A Little Bit Of Love Can Go A Long Way by silver_sweetheart

5. You Learn To Look Past Their Looks by silver_sweetheart

6. One Minute She Loves You, The Next She Hates You by silver_sweetheart

7. Will It End Happily Ever After? by silver_sweetheart

Two Letters And A Choice by silver_sweetheart
A/N: Hi! This is my very first ficcy so please read and review! I would really appreciate it! Plus if you review this then I will read and review YOUR stories. Thank you!

Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, lay on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. He realized that some of the paper on the ceiling was rotting off. He suddenly felt an irresistible urge to go and pull it off as an act to annoy Uncle Vernon. He chuckled to himself at the thought.

Harry became aware of a faint tapping at the window. He looked around and saw Hedwig, his snowy white owl, and an unfamiliar tawny owl, hovering impatiently outside his window.

He stood up, walked towards the window and opened it. The two owls soared in and dropped two letters on his bed.

One letter he immediately recognised to be from Hermione – he knew her handwriting anywhere, and the other, well, he wasn’t quite sure.

He decided to open the unfamiliar letter first. It said:

Dear Harry,

I am really sorry that I was so cold to you during the fifth year. I was terribly upset about Cedric’s death and I know I shouldn’t have been so rude to you. I treated you like dirt, I used you as a way to talk about Cedric, and I feel awful. I really do like you, Harry and I very much want to start afresh. Would you like to spend the rest of the summer at my house? It would be just the two of us, so we would be able to get to know each other a little better. How about it?

See you soon!
Cho


Harry’s heart gave a leap inside his chest. Cho Chang, Cho Chang had written him a letter! She wanted to get to know him; she wanted to be his girlfriend again! He imagined the two of them together, curled up on a sofa together, kissing. His life would be truly perfect.

Harry snapped out of his daydream, and opened Hermione’s letter. It was considerably longer than Cho’s:
Dear Harry,

How are you? Are the Dursleys being horrible to you as usual? I do hope they aren’t treating you too badly this summer, I wonder what Tonks and Lupin and Moody would do to them if they found out they were mistreating you. I almost feel sorry for them! Note the word almost.

I was thinking. Well, you don’t have anywhere to go this summer, do you? Ron’s away in Bulgaria with his family, and I don’t suppose you would want to go back to Sirius’ house, after what happened at the end of term.

Harry stomach plummeted. For a split second, he had almost forgotten about his godfather’s death. But Hermione was right; he didn’t particularly want to back to Grimauld Place.

Would you like to come and spend the rest of the holidays with me? It would be just you and I, we could go to Spain if you like, my parents have an apartment there you see. Would you like that? We don’t have to go to Spain – only if you want to. We can just stay here. We can celebrate your birthday in style too! I think you need some company at the moment, Harry. Let me know in your next letter whether it is OK with your aunt and uncle or not.

I hope you’re doing you’re holiday homework!

Lots of Love,

Hermione


xxx

Harry blushed at the three kisses, and the, “Lots of Love”. Hermione was never usually this friendly in letters. But he wasn’t complaining.

He ran his fingers through his messy black hair, wondering how he was going to sort this problem out. Two girls had both asked him to come and stay with them for the rest of the summer – alone.

Now don’t get me wrong, Harry was happy. Any almost sixteen year old guy would be. I mean, two pretty girls both wanting him alone for the rest of the summer? It’s his dream.

But Harry, as you have probably gathered from the books, isn’t your average almost sixteen year old guy. He’s, well, Harry Potter.

And this is why I am now going to tell you that Harry was more worried than happy. He was worried, dear readers, about who he should spend the rest of the summer with.

Cho, she was beautiful, kind, sweet and willing to give it a go with him.

Hermione was just plain old bossy-boots Hermione, annoying yet likeable.

Yet, although Cho sounded better when he put it like that, there was the fact that he had known Hermione much longer and would therefore be more comfortable around her household and her family members. Cho’s family would be completely new to him.

Also, when Harry was around Cho, he always felt nervous, he always felt he couldn’t be himself. However, when he was with Hermione, he was completely Harry. Cho liked Harry for being the type of boy that he acted around her, but Hermione liked Harry because he was Harry. Hermione had seen him at his best…and his worst.

In the end, he supposed it felt more natural to go to Hermione’s house. He hoped Cho wouldn’t be too disappointed.
How Nice To See You Again! by silver_sweetheart
There is something painfully contrary about writing a letter to a person you have a crush on and have wanted to be with for the last three years and who against all the odds has invited you to stay to tell them that you must decline their invitation because of a long standing friendship. Harry experienced this difficulty when he wrote his letter to Cho.

Dear Cho,

Thanks for inviting me to stay at your house. It was really nice of you to ask me.


Harry sucked on his pen. What to say, oh, what to say!

I’m really sorry to tell you that I can’t come. I have already agreed to go and spend the rest of the holidays with someone else. However, we can write to each other. I’m really happy that you want to make a fresh start. I would really like us to get on well together.

Best wishes,

Harry


Did that sound OK? Or too formal? Harry agonized. He thought it sounded formal, but there was no easy way of saying no, even to the girl you loved so formal at least sounded sincere.

The letter to Hermione was much easier.

Hermione,
I’d love to come! When is a good day for you to collect me?
Lots of love,
Harry
xxx


Did that sound OK? Or too friendly? Harry shrugged. He thought it sounded VERY friendly. Why had he signed himself off as, Lots of love and added three kisses under his name? Hermione was just a friend, for goodness sake! I was just copying Hermione, he told himself unconvincingly.

“You can fly home later if you want,” Harry suggested to the tawny owl that appeared to belong to Cho.

The owl ruffled its feathers, as if saying yes.

“Hedwig,” said Harry urgently, “take these two letters in this order; Hermione then Cho, OK? Got that? Hermione then Cho.”

Hedwig nipped him affectionately and set off.

Harry watched her fly away, higher and higher into the clouds, with great regret at the lost opportunity of spending quality with the most beautiful girl at Hogwarts.

“Have I made a mistake?” he asked himself aloud.

“A mistake about what?” said a familiar female voice.

Harry whirled round.

“Aaah, Hermione!” he cried out in surprise.

“Aaah, Harry!” she mimicked

Harry seized her in tight hug. She smiled warmly back at him.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, astounded.

“My dad dropped me off so I could help you pack. You are coming back with me … aren’t you?” she asked nervously,

Harry nodded fervently.

“Good,” she said, and squeezed his hand. He felt a bolt of electricity zap him as she touched him.

“I learnt how to pack things away neatly in a jiffy at the end of last term -- without using magic!” Hermione giggled. Harry grinned back at her -- she looked so pretty when she laughed.

“You look pretty when you laugh,” he found himself telling Hermione. Hermione blushed but she looked happy.

“Anyway, let’s not dwell on whether I look pretty or not,” she said quickly, “we have stuff to do.”

Hurriedly, the two best friends packed Harry’s things away neatly into his trunk, and collected Hedwig’s empty cage.

“Who does that owl belong to?” asked Hermione.

“Um … ”

“What does 'um' mean?”

“It means … Hagrid!” said Harry quickly.

“Let it go then!” she snapped.

Harry gave the owl a slight push. It pecked him hard on the hand and flew grumpily out of the window.

Hermione took hold of Harry’s wrist and led him down to her car where Mr. Granger was arguing with Uncle Vernon.

Mr. Granger smiled warmly at Harry and Hermione.

“So, you must be the famous Harry Potter. How good it is to meet you,” he said pleasantly.

“Hermione speaks very highly of you,” Harry said politely.

“She does of you too!” grinned Mr. Granger.

Hermione went an amazing shade of crimson and gave Harry a hard shove into the car, where she then settled herself beside him. They both watched in curiosity to see what would happen between Uncle Vernon and Mr. Granger.

“Why is it that Harry cannot come with me to my house so he can spend some time with his best friend?” asked Mr. Granger incredulously.

“Because I am his legal guardian, and I say he can’t go!” Uncle Vernon snarled.

“Well, that’s not fair, is it?” said Mr. Granger.

“I’m not having Harry play and loose with some silly girl!” Uncle Vernon roared.

“I wouldn’t play fast and loose with you and you’re NOT a silly little girl,” Harry muttered to Hermione.

“I know that, Harry. Tell that to your uncle though,” Hermione sighed.

Harry got out of the car and walked right up to Uncle Vernon.

“I will have you know that I would NEVER, under any circumstances, play fast and loose with Hermione. She’s my best friend, for crying out loud. If you don’t let me go to her house I’ll -- I’ll -- I’ll send for Tonks and Moody and Lupin and I’ll get them to curse you!” he burst out.

Uncle Vernon breathed in and out heavily for a few seconds. Then he grunted something that sounded like, “Orfugen.” This, Harry translated as, “Off you go then.” He smirked at Hermione. She slapped him a high five as he clambered into the car.

Hermione certainly seems to be taking a flirty interest in me this holiday, Harry thought to himself. This trip to Hermione’s could turn out to be quite fun …
Why do I do such stupid things? by silver_sweetheart
“This is where you’ll be sleeping,” said Hermione, opening a door that led into a fairly large room with a double bed.

“It looks great,” Harry cried.

Hermione turned to him.

“We have a pool and a Jacuzzi too, if you want to go for an early-morning swim,” she gabbled.

“Great,” Harry nodded slowly.

He looked Hermione in the eye for a few seconds and suddenly realized how beautiful she was. The sun was shining in through the window, turning her hair a gorgeous golden brown. He felt an insane urge to reach out and stroke it.

“Been in touch with Ron lately?” asked Hermione.

“No. Haven’t heard a thing from him at all so far this summer,” Harry replied.

“Oh,” Hermione sounded surprised. Ron had obviously been writing to her. He wondered whether Ron had romantic feelings for her. Anger crept through him. Well, he would show Hermione that he too could be romantic toward her.

He leant in towards her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

She went red and pushed him away and said, “Harry!” in a strangled voice.

“I was just saying thanks!” Harry snapped defensively.

“Harry, we’re friends, no more, no less,” said Hermione firmly. "No go ahead and get unpacked. I'll see you downstairs in a bit." And she turned and left his room.

Why did I do that? Harry thought, angry at himself. Now I've messed up my chances with her ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What the hell did I say that for? Hermione told herself off as she came out of Harry's bedroom. I've messed up our chances of ever going out now.

Hermione was head over heels in love with Harry, and wished that he felt the same way. She knew he liked Cho, though. And let’s face it, Hermione thought, Cho is a lot prettier than I am, and has a lot more to offer someone cool like Harry. Even so, Hermione was determined to make Harry fall in love with her this summer holiday.

But how on earth was she going to make him fall in love with her if she just ran away from him the whole time? Really, she was being quite stupid.

Hermione had loved Harry since the first moment she saw him, six years ago, on the Hogwarts Express. She hadn’t liked Ron much; she thought he was too obsessed with food. But Harry seemed like a deep, caring, sensitive person -- the one for her.

She stared over at the closed door of Harry’s bedroom and longed to rush in and ask for another kiss on the cheek from him. She had loved his kissing her, she really had.

At that precise moment Harry came out.

“Hermione!” he said in surprise. “I didn’t expect -- to, um see you right here! I was just, um, going to, er, apologise to you,” he murmured bashfully.

“For what?” Hermione frowned.

“For kissing you on the cheek. I shouldn’t have. You were right, we are just friends. We’re such platonic friends that I don’t think we could ever be more.”

Hermione’s heart sunk. Yes, Harry was right. They were platonic friends, never to be more.

“It’s fine, Harry,” her voice quivered. She felt like she was going to cry.

“Have to go,” she squeaked, and ran off to her own bedroom. She flung herself on to her bed and wept. How stupid she was to think Harry would ever go out with her! He only saw her as a friend and nothing more.

Then, an unexpected letter came.
A Little Bit Of Love Can Go A Long Way by silver_sweetheart
Hermione,

I have met the most amazing and wonderful girl on holiday. She’s so nice and she’s called Ray. She makes me laugh so much and she is a lot like me. She and I are really good friends and she said she can’t imagine us being anymore than friends though.


Hermione gritted her teeth.

“Now there’s a situation I know well,” she hissed.

At first, I was so down about this. Then, I had a good long think about it. Ray and I get on so well, we just had to go out. So I tried flirting with her. At first she didn’t react at all but then she got into it. When it felt right, I asked her on a date and she said yes! We had a great time AND we kissed. We are now a happy couple! The point I am trying to make is that if someone you like says that they can’t imagine you being anymore than friends, you mustn’t give up. You must keep on trying and, if you’re meant to be together, it will eventually work out.

Anyway, see you at school!

Ron


For the first time in her life, Hermione felt like hugging Ron. She did feel that she and Harry should be a couple, deep inside her heart. And she was Hermione Granger, the brightest witch in her year at school – she would win Harry round somehow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was quiet at dinner with the Granger’s that night. He couldn’t stop thinking about how Hermione had said that they were just friends. Yes, he had played along by agreeing with her but he didn’t really mean what he said.

Get a grip, Potter, said a voice in his head. Why do you care so much about whether Hermione looks to you as a friend or not?

Because you’re in love with her,
said another voice in his head.

Nonsense! Of course he’s not!

Yes he is! Otherwise, he wouldn’t care what Hermione thought of him.

He’s just being silly.

I think not. He loves her!

He does not!

Does too!

Does not!


All through the evening these voices in Harry’s head argued over his feelings for Hermione. Eventually, he couldn’t take any more of it. With a loud cry he flung his head into his (full) soup bowl.

“Um, Harry…are you OK?” asked Hermione nervously.

Harry looked up, tomato soup trickling down his face. Hermione giggled.

“Hermione dear, take Harry to the bathroom and help him clean himself up,” said Mrs. Granger.

Hermione nodded and gently took Harry’s arm.

“That was a bit silly,” said Hermione. “Are you tired?”

“No,” said Harry. I’m just going mad with these voices in my head deciding whether I love you or not, he said silently.

“Oh well. I’ll wipe your face clean with this flannel…Unless of course, you want me to lick it. Tomato soup is my favourite.”

“OK then,” laughed Harry.

Hermione leaned forward, stuck out her tongue and slowly ran it across Harry’s forehead. She licked her lips and smirked at Harry, who grinned back at her. He enjoyed the feeling of Hermione’s tongue across his skin. It made him feel nice.

“There’s some on your lips. Shall I lick that too?” asked Hermione keenly.

Harry paused. Letting Hermione lick his lips would be as good as letting her kiss him.

But he suddenly wanted Hermione to kiss him. He nodded. Hermione delightedly slid her tongue across his lips. Harry found himself opening his mouth and Hermione’s tongue slipped inside. Her tongue stopped licking him and began to brush his teeth. He enjoyed this pleasure for a while, and then he wanted his turn.

He clamped his lips tight shut, and Hermione’s tongue slipped out of his jaw. He pushed his own tongue against Hermione’s lips. It slid in straight away and he began to explore her mouth.

Eventually, Harry and Hermione got bored of this French kissing and settled with kissing normally instead. Harry found Hermione really was a very good kisser.

Suddenly, sense came on to Harry. What on earth was he doing, kissing his best friend? He pushed Hermione away from him. She stumbled backwards, looking hurt. Harry ran out of the bathroom and up to his room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione stared at the swinging bathroom door and the place where, only seconds ago, she and Harry had been kissing. She had been so close, so close, to getting him. Then he had had to run off.

Boys!
You Learn To Look Past Their Looks by silver_sweetheart
How to impress Harry. How to impress Harry. Those were the only thoughts that filled Hermione’s head. How could she though?

“Hermione!” her mother was outside her bedroom.

“Yes?” Hermione called sleepily.

“I’m going to town to have my hair cut and styled. Dad’s working in the dentist surgery, OK?” Mrs. Granger called.

A haircut! A new hairstyle! Perfect! That would definitely make Harry fall in love with her!

“Hang on a tick, Mum! I’m coming with you!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hermione?” Harry called, half an hour later, “Are you in there?”

He was standing outside Hermione’s bedroom door. He had hoped to go for a swim in Hermione’s luxurious pool with Hermione. She wasn’t answering him. Harry wondered if she was asleep.

Quietly, he opened the door. She wasn’t in there. On her bed, there was a note. It said:
Harry, I’ve gone to town with my mum. My dad is in the surgery. Make yourself some toast for breakfast!

Harry wondered if the kissing session that they had had last night had distressed Hermione. After all, she did say she only wanted to be friends with him.

Harry suddenly noticed Hedwig outside Hermione’s bedroom window. He opened it, and Hedwig dropped a letter on the floor. He picked it up. It was from Cho:
Hi Harry!

I am so sorry that you couldn’t come round and spend the rest of the holidays with me. I wonder who you’re with at the moment! Hope it’s not Hermione (joke)! So, how are you at the moment? I’m pretty good, and especially happy that you’re writing to me and that you’re giving me another chance. There is more to me than what you saw last year, I promise you. I am not a complete airhead!

From Cho


Harry rushed into his room and quickly scribbled a reply to Cho’s letter. He felt a gush of happiness at the thought of Cho making the effort to write to him.

He placed Cho’s letter on his bedside table and stroked it lovingly then, decided to get himself some breakfast. Toast, like Hermione suggested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“That style please,” said Hermione politely to the hairdresser. She nodded.

Hermione hugged herself. What a brilliant idea! Harry would be sure to notice her now!

Mrs. Granger beamed at her daughter’s choice. Hermione had never been much of a girly girl like she had wanted and now she was!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was incredibly bored. He went up to his bedroom, searched around in his wardrobe and found a pair of shorts. He put them on, took off everything else that he was wearing, grabbed a towel from Hermione’s bathroom and made his way down to her pool.

When he got there, he saw it was covered up with a long mat. He summoned all his strength and moved the mat off the pool.

He didn’t notice that it glistened and shone bluer than any normal pool would. He was too wrapped up in thoughts about his relationship with Hermione...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione was sick of all this hair washing. Why couldn’t the hairdresser just get down to the nitty gritty of styling and dying her hair?

Then another thought struck her; a better one. The hairdresser must be taking her time to make her hair extra perfect. If her hair was perfect, Harry would probably like her just that little bit more!

Good, the hairdresser was now rubbing in the hair dye. She, Hermione, prepared herself for a totally new look.

She was too wrapped in thoughts about impressing Harry to notice what colour hair dye the hairdresser was rubbing in to her hair...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a loud splash as Harry dove into the swimming pool.

He surfaced, gasping for breath. He climbed out of the pool and looked down at his body,
“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH!!!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Want to see your new hair colour?” smiled the hairdresser.

“Of course!” cried Hermione.

She withdrew the towel from her hair and looked at herself in the mirror,

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!”
T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

he Grangers had obviously poured some kind of cleaning liquid into the swimming pool – some kind of cleaning liquid that turned his entire body a dark blue.

What on earth was Hermione going to think now? She’d probably get the idea that he was some kind of alien. No one except aliens have blue skin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“My hair!” Hermione gasped.

Her hair had turned a dark purple.

She burst into tears. What on earth would Harry think now? He would notice her alright - and get the idea that she was a weirdo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How are you going to get yourself out of this mess, Potter? Harry asked himself.

He got out of the pool and dried himself off. His blue skin stayed. He rushed up to his bedroom and began to pick at his skin, in the hope that he might be able to pull the blue off. It hurt and nothing happened.

What would Hermione say? She’d never love him now.

But why did he care whether Hermione loved him or not?

He only saw Hermione as a friend – didn’t he? Anyway, he had Cho. Goodness. What would Cho think? Hopefully she wouldn't mind too much. Strangely enough, he was more worried about what Hermione would think than Cho. But why? Comparing Cho to Hermione was like comparing a golden trumpet to a tin whistle.
One Minute She Loves You, The Next She Hates You by silver_sweetheart
Hermione ran from the hairdressers, crying her eyes out. She ran, ran, ran all the way to the park.

She sat down in a bench opposite the pond. She remembered when she was very small, and she used to sit here and feed the ducks. She wished she could go back to when she was young and didn’t care about boys or the way she looked. She wished she was a muggle.

A stranger came and sat down next to her. Hermione cautiously moved away from them.

“Hi,” said the stranger, in a strangely familiar male voice. He was wearing a hooded top and his hands were hidden inside his sleeves.

“Hi,” Hermione replied.

“Love problems?” asked the stranger.

Hermione stared at him. How could this stranger read her mind? She shivered and nodded.

“Same,” he said. “I really like this girl but I’ve done something completely stupid.”

“What?” inquired Hermione.

“I dived into a pool and now my skin’s gone blue.”

Hermione suppressed a laugh.

“Don’t worry. I tried to dye my hair and style it to impress a boy. It’s purple now, as you can see,” she replied.

The stranger sighed.

“But if we’re doing this for people we love then if they really love us they won’t care.”

Hermione nodded.

“Can we know each others names?” she asked, unsure of whether this was the right thing to say or not.

“Harry Potter.”

“Hermione Granger.”

“It’s you!”

“It’s you!”

“Hermione, I –“

“Which girl were you talking about?”

“Hermione, it doesn’t really matter, it –“

“It does!”

“I was talking about you, Hermione. None other than you.”

Hermione stared at Harry. He did return her feelings!

“I didn’t mean to alarm you –“

“You didn’t. Harry, just be quiet and kiss me already.”

“Hermione –”

“What did I say, Harry? Shut up!”

Harry leaned in towards Hermione, and for the second time in his life, he found himself kissing her. His hands ran through her purple hair, she pulled the hood of his hooded top to reveal his blue face. She stroked it gently with her fingers and then cupped his cheeks in her hands.

Hermione found herself falling backwards on to the bench. She was so happy, so fantastically happy. Harry Potter was kissing her, and now, lying flat on top of her.

Harry hoped he wasn’t squashing Hermione. He was kissing her deeply and passionately.

After a long while of kissing, Hermione gave Harry a slight push. He got off her, and took her hand.

Hermione felt dazed and wondrously happy. Harry Potter had feelings for her, as evident in their embrace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the morning after his kiss with Hermione, and Harry felt completely calm and collected. He wasn’t bothered at all about the fact that he had just kissed his best friend. He wasn’t bothered at all about the thought that Ron might be extremely upset. No, no, no.

The only thought on his mind was whether he would be able to kiss Hermione again.

And the thought that Hermione loved him for his personality and not because of who he was. She didn’t care about his blue skin as he didn’t care about her purple hair. They loved each other for each other.

There was a knock at his bedroom door and Hermione poked her head round.

“Good! You’re awake!” she giggled.

“Yeah,” said Harry thickly.

“Do you know what day it is today?” teased Hermione.

“Thursday?” Harry suggested, puzzled.

“No, you idiot, your birthday! I said we’d celebrate in style. Come on, get dressed now! I’ll help you if you like!” suggested Hermione.

“I’ll be fine!” Harry grinned.

Hermione pretended to be terribly disappointed, and then told him to come down to the kitchen.

He did as he was told and went down to kitchen. There, on the table, stood a big chocolate cake with the letters, “Happy Birthday, Harry!” iced on to it. There were five presents lying on the table too, just for him.

Harry didn’t know how to thank them. He wasn’t sure what to do. He felt overwhelmed with emotion. He managed a shaky smile, but that seemed enough.

He had the most amazing haul of presents this year. His own chess set from Ron, a fine harp from Hagrid, a heart shaped photo frame from Cho, a necklace with a heart on the bottom from Lupin with a note which read: Give this to your true love and one last present, from Hermione.

Hermione’s present was a book. It was a photo album, with pictures of all the memorable and daring things that Harry had done during his time at Hogwarts.

“I’ll keep this forever,” Harry said to Hermione. She gave him a slightly embarrassed smile.

Harry’s heart pounded. This was definitely the best birthday ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope he likes it, thought Hermione. He certainly seems to be enjoying himself.

She looked up and Harry gave her a heart melting smile. Her legs turned to jelly and over balanced slightly on her chair. Harry laughed and Hermione went red.

“What do you and Hermione want to do today, Harry?” asked Mr. Granger.

“Harry should choose – it’s his birthday,” said Hermione.

“Thanks Hermione. We could go to the town together,” Harry suggested.

“Sounds great!” cried Hermione. “Just you and me, right?”

“Yeah, course!”

“Wonderful!” said Mrs. Granger cheerfully.

Harry and Hermione went to get their coats. As they were in the cloakroom, Harry shut the door. Hermione was about to protest, but then Harry pushed her against the wall and began to kiss her. Hermione wanted to scream with delight but she kept herself calm.

Eventually, they had to stop kissing otherwise Hermione’s parents would get suspicious, so they hurriedly rushed out of the house together.

There was a fair in town, so, for a laugh, they both decided to go.

"Let’s go on all the rides!” Harry suggested mischievously.

“All of them? Even the little baby ones?” Hermione giggled.

Harry nodded and Hermione burst out laughing. She took his hand the pair skipped along together, as if they were five years old. It was nice holding Harry’s hand. It kept her own hand warm.

They shared candy floss together as well, and they went on a love boat ride. They kissed throughout the whole of the ride, to everyone else’s on the ride great annoyance.

Throughout the day, a few people stared at Hermione’s purple hair and Harry’s blue skin, and some whispered behind their hands, but Harry and Hermione were so focussed on each other that they did not care.

On the way home, Hermione slid her arm around Harry’s waist.

“Did you enjoy that?” she gasped, panting.

“Yeah. It was a great birthday – my best ever – and there’s no one I’d rather spend it with than you,” smiled Harry.

Hermione flushed and smiled. She did love the way Harry was always so sweet, so gentle, so romantic towards her. She responded by kissing him on the shoulder for a few seconds.

Once they arrived home, Harry immediately decided to have a shower. Whilst Harry was in the bathroom, Hermione crept into his room.

Although the room belonged to her family, during the short time that Harry had been sleeping in it, it seemed to smell exactly the way Harry did. She was about to snuggle right into his pillow, but then thought better of it, in case Harry was to come in.

She looked around and saw a pile of letters on his bedside table. She quickly made sure he wasn’t coming then picked up the letters and read them through.

To Hermione’s horror, she discovered that he, Harry, had been corresponding, and flirting with none other than Cho Chang, through letters.

Harry didn’t really love her. He loved Cho. He was using Hermione to practice on before he saw Cho at school. Hermione’s good mood vanished as quickly as that.

She looked down at the letters below her. Anger filled her heart, she wanted to scream and shout with rage. She stared furiously at the pile of letters for a few seconds. Then…
Will It End Happily Ever After? by silver_sweetheart
Harry grabbed his towel and climbed out of the shower humming to himself. He had had a fantastic and hilarious birthday with Hermione – probably his best ever. Harry paused as he began to dry himself off.

He had got on so well with Hermione during the short time that he had spent with her – and he had kissed her. He enjoyed being with her much more than he did with Cho. He realised that the little voice inside of his head was right, that he was in love with Hermione.

He knew he had to write to Cho straight away, and explain the situation with Hermione. He knew she would be annoyed, but he didn’t care. It didn’t matter. All that mattered was Hermione.

He walked into his room. And froze.

Scattered all over the floor were all his letters. They looked as if they had been ripped into tiny pieces and thrown around the whole room.

Harry knelt down, heart sinking, wondering what kind of person would be as cruel enough to ruin all his letters.

He got dressed slowly, thinking over what had happened in his head, and picking out suspects. Crookshanks, he thought. Of course! This was exactly the thing that a cat would do! He decided to go and tell Hermione.

He knocked on the door to her bedroom, and walked in.

“You could have waited until I answered,” snapped Hermione. She was lying face down on her bed.

“Sorry. Hermione, are you alright?” Harry asked worriedly. He wondered if she had hurt herself and determined to cheer her up

“Apart from the fact that the person who I love and who I thought loved me back is cheating on me for a Ravenclaw, yes, I’m fine!” screamed Hermione, whirling round on her bed to face him. Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

Harry immediately understood. Hermione must have gone in to his room and seen his flirtatious letters to Cho.

“You saw the letters, didn’t you?” said Harry quietly.

“Yes!” hissed Hermione. “I thought we had something special, Harry!”

“So did I! I thought you trusted me!” Harry glared at her.

“I do! I did!” Hermione choked out.

“So why did you go nosing around in my room in the first place then?” Harry shot back.

Hermione flinched.

“Th-th-that’s not the point!” she stuttered. “The point is – we’re through! I can’t believe I ever liked you anyway! You’re a liar and a-a cheater! I hate you!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry watched her for what seemed like an age, and then walked out of the room. His shoulders were hunched, as if he was really upset.

Hermione found herself spitting at the spot where he had been standing.

“How dare he cheat on me!” she said aloud.

She crossed her arms across her chest, a little self-consciously. She felt deeply hurt and betrayed by Harry, not to mention emotionally scarred.

She hoped that this was all a bad dream and that she would wake up any minute now and run in to Harry’s room and tell him all about it.

She pinched herself and shut her eyes then opened them again. She was in the same position on her bed and the door to her bedroom was still open where Harry had left.

Hermione threw herself back on to her bed and groaned. She hated her life at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was a silent affair. Harry and Hermione would not speak to each other and Mr. and Mrs. Granger didn’t dare make conversation. Something had obviously happened between them and if they started talking, it might annoy them immensely.

Harry kept on glancing up and looking at Hermione. One time, when her parents weren’t watching, she mouthed an extremely rude swear word to him.

Then, when Hermione was dishing up the pudding, she, “accidentally” flicked it on to his face.

“I thought he liked stuff on his face. He did yesterday,” she had shrugged to her fearful looking parents.

Also, throughout the whole meal, Harry found himself being kicked painfully on the ankle. He was sure his feet were now covered in bruises and he had a sneaking suspicion that the kicker was Hermione.

When they were dismissed from the table, Harry corned Hermione on the stairs. He pushed her against the wall.

“What the hell are you playing at?” He muttered furiously to her.

“Nothing,” said Hermione smugly, infuriating him.

“YOU WERE KICKING ME, YOU SPILT PUDDING ON MY FACE AND YOU SWORE AT ME! THEY CAN’T ALL HAVE BEEN BLOODY ACCIDENTS!” Harry bellowed at her.

“There is a great chance that they could have been,” Hermione murmured.

“HERMIONE! I don’t like Cho, OK? I was just writing to her to be polite.”

“Polite? You sounded more than polite, Harry.”

“OK, OK, so we were flirting a bit. But that’s no reason for you to go creeping into my room!”

“Technically, it’s not your room, it’s my guest room. Therefore I am allowed to go in and out as I please.”

“You didn’t have to read my stuff though!”

“I thought it was a story.”

“You thought it was a story? Tell me, Hermione, how on earth a letter can look like a story?”

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him.

“It just did. Now, would you kindly let go of me, I am beginning to feel strangled,” she said snottily.

Harry felt like hitting her and wondered how he could have ever loved her.

“You despicable little tart!” was all he could manage to say. He turned and walked smoothly away from her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, Hermione tossed and turned in her bed. She could not sleep. She realised that she still had feelings for Harry, and this was driving her mad.

After what he’s done to me? How? She asked herself.

She got up and found herself getting dressed. She was definitely going crazy, getting changed when she was supposed to be asleep.

She walked out on to the landing and headed for Harry’s bedroom. There was a note stuck on his door:

I know when I am not wanted. I am on my way home to Privet Drive.

Hermione burst into tears. Harry couldn’t have gone home. She walked in to his room, hoping he was playing a spiteful joke on her. He wasn’t. His room was completely empty of all his things. He had gone.

Hermione felt awful. It was because of the way she had treated him. She had been jealous of his letter relationship with Cho, and that was why she had tortured him so. She knew that she had to get him to come back, it was dangerous out there.

She knew she couldn’t go out the door – her parents were downstairs, watching T.V. and they were bound to catch her. She looked out of Harry’s bedroom window. There was a drain pipe just next to it. She opened the window, and clung for dear life on to the drain pipe. Slowly, feet pressed against the wall, she went lowered herself downwards on to the ground.

She wondered where Harry would have gone. A thought occurred to her. He may have gone for a last minute walk in the park. She sprinted along the dark roads, and cut through the spooky alleyways, just to find him.

“HARRY!” she screamed once she reached the entrance to the park. “HARRY!”

She saw a figure hunched on a park bench. She dashed towards, and to her delight, saw Harry sitting there.

“Harry!” she cried out and flung herself down next to him.

“Oh,” he said. “It’s you.”

“Yes, it’s me! Oh Harry, I am so incredibly sorry. I was so harsh towards you. I didn’t mean to go nosing around in your room. I went in there to smell your scent –“

Harry cut her off, looking confused.

“My scent?” he said incredulously.

“Yes, you, um, smell nice. Anyway, I saw a letter with Cho’s name on your bedside table and I was horribly jealous. That is why I was so mean to you. Can you forgive me?” whispered Hermione. She was crying hard and her hand stroked his fingers lovingly.

Harry nodded. As soon as he did so, Hermione flung herself on top of him and began to kiss him passionately. At first, he did not return her kiss, but then he responded.

“Hermione,” he said, gasping for air. “I love you!”

“Oh Harry, I love you too!”

They kissed some more, until Hermione pushed Harry away.

“Harry…does this mean we’re a couple now?”

“Yep."

Hermione gave a little whoop. Happily, the kissing continued.

Then, Hermione pushed Harry off again.

“Urgh, what now?” he sounded exasperated.

“Harry…how are we going to tell Ron?”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=7689