A Black Tonks by Mistletoe
Summary: It's the biggest battle I've ever faced in my life: my blood or my love? The two can be ambiguous, but in my case, they are black and white, day and night. I had been seemingly repressed by my family for too long, so I did the one thing that allowed me a choice. I ran away.

TT/AB
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4403 Read: 1724 Published: 02/01/08 Updated: 02/04/08

1. Chapter 1 by Mistletoe

Chapter 1 by Mistletoe
Author's Notes:
Thank you so so so much to Hannah [h_vic] for beta'ing this for me. It wouldn't be were it is today without her help! As you know, anything you recognize belongs to JKR :] Thanks for reading, guys! A review every now and then is much appreciated!
------------------------------------
Meet me at my place at midnight.

I crumpled the message in my sweaty hand as I stood outside the house. With me, I carried my dearest possessions: the mirror my mother had given me on my sixth birthday, the robes that my sisters and I had bought so that we were able to match, my wand, and my dignity.

Making sure to remain in the shadows, I stared at the door. The pale blue paint cracked off it, the small eyehole was thick with grime, and the dull light slanted across half the door, casting the rest of the porch into darkness.

This had been our plan, and it was going exactly as we had arranged. Still, I stood, no more than ten strides from the door, my stomach lurching at the thought of what I had just done.

A small moth fluttered through the light, its shadow dancing across the door and then was gone. I still remained hidden in the shadows, my previous actions spinning through my mind, imprinting in my brain a memory that would never leave, a memory that I would never regret.

The door swung open in front of me.

“I’ve been watching you through the eyehole. Do you know you talk to yourself?” a voice of familiarity washed over me, cleansing me of my doubts, if only for a moment. His presence provided instant comfort. A heavy feeling of tranquillity settled in my chest, erasing all that I had just done and replacing it with the feeling of him. He always gave me this feeling, as if nothing else in the world mattered, and it was true. Nothing else mattered when I was with him. Not even my family.

Moving from the depths of the shadows, I pulled myself into the light. I was now illuminated before him, however sombre the light was that poured over my body.

“Yes, I know. Can we go inside?” I responded vaguely to his accusations, making sure to avoid words that would lead to him questioning the reason I had been lurking outside his house.

He stared at me, the question evident in his eyes, no matter how I had tried to avoid it. “Come in, then. No reason for you to remain outside as you have been.”

--

We sat at his kitchen table. Surprisingly, this was the first time I had seen his house. We had only been out of school a week, and in that week he had bought a small house on the outskirts of South London. The interior could be described by only one word: harsh. The colours were bright, and the patterns were loud. A table sat in the centre of the small kitchen and juxtaposed to the kitchen was an equally small living area. There were only three doors leading off from the living room and kitchen: his bedroom, an airing cupboard, and another which was shut. It was quaint, but it needed some redecorating. If I was going to live here, it had to accommodate to my needs.

“Do you want to talk to me? Or are you just going to glance around my house for the rest of the night?” he asked. My eyes bounced back to his, and I noticed the certainty that lay in them. This was why I needed him”he had the ability to be my foundation and so much more.

“Sorry, I was just””

“Don’t worry,” he interrupted, leaning forward on his elbows, “Actually, I know you’re worried. I can tell by the slant of your eyes and the frown of your lips.”

His eyes bore into my apparently tell-tale slanted ones. This was the reason I was here tonight. He knew everything about me almost incessantly; he knew me better than I knew myself.

That was what I needed”the stability he provided me. He wasn’t like the men that my mother and father had attempted to set me up with”daunting, haughty, proud, and in need of a wife for simple pleasure. No, he was in need of me for me. I could feel it in his hot gaze. The past year had been indescribable, full of love and lust that I thought I would never have the pleasant opportunity to feel.

But that wasn’t all he provided me. It wasn’t just his power over my emotions or the support he gave me; it was the hole he filled inside me. After eighteen long years of living a sheltered life, I had lost touch of with own opinion. He had brought back my light, rekindled my flame, and illuminated my path. His presence and faith poured into me, inflating my subdued soul.

Finally, my doubts faded away, and I spoke, “Are we going to rest before we do this, or are we just going to sit here and stare at each other the whole night?”

“By all means, sleep. My bedroom is the middle door,” he offered. “You can have my bed, and I’ll stay on the couch.”

A giggle escaped my lips when he was finished speaking. “Ted, tomorrow night we will be sleeping in the same bed””

“You are a lady and I am a gentleman,” he announced, shaking his head and allowing a grin to slide across his lips, jest apparent in his actions. “Tonight we spend apart. It is our last night alone, after all.”

He winked at me and stood up, stretching his arms above his head. Marvelling at his lean body and wide shoulders, at the way his messy hair fell just short of his eyebrows and his easy smile always lingered on his lips, I stood up as well, my eyes never leaving him.

“Well, good night it is, then,” I replied, “It’s almost past one o’clock, and we’ve got to get to the Ministry at a reasonable time.”

His arms flopped down to his sides, hanging limply in defeat, and his tired eyes stared back at me. “A reasonable time? I assume that means at least ten o’clock. Do you even have clothes for this?”

Glancing down at my bag, I replied, “Just my old dress robes that might be a bit short.”

“Well, we can fix that in the morning. Good night, Andromeda Black,” he said, almost whispering and walked over to me. Placing a soft kiss on my cheek, he moved his mouth to my ear, his breath brushing across my thin skin and sending shivers down my spine, before whispering, “I love you.”

“I love you too, Ted,” I whispered back, leaning away from him to take in his full face. He was simple: deep blue eyes, fair hair, and a straight nose; I was simple as well: dark hair, even darker eyes, and a smile that barely turned up at the edges. Ted had always told me he would make my mouth curl into the wide beam he knew it to be capable of. He had promised me he would, and that’s exactly what he was doing.

“Goodnight,” we whispered together, as if we were trying to keep our words a secret from the world.

--

The light pressed on my eyelids, taunting me to open them, but I squeezed them tightly shut. It couldn’t already be morning, could it? I obliged the light and allowed one eye to open. There was a slight parting in the drapes that allowed the sun through. I sighed and sat up, rubbing my eyes. There was shuffling in the kitchen.

Ted. I was getting married in a few hours. I would no longer be a Black.

Sighing again, I fell back into the sheets. I was never going to shake this feeling of growing ambivalence that wanted to break from my chest like a growing plant. I couldn’t let it go. I loved Ted, yes”more than I had ever imagined loving anyone”but my family was my history, and my blood. It was harder than one supposed to leave that behind. Knowing that I would never return home made a part of my soul disintegrate, taking memories of my childhood with it.

I heard a faint knock on the door before the hinges creaked with movement.

“You awake?” his soft voice asked before I heard the patter of his feet across the rug. The bed sank beside me, the springs creaking with agony as he sat to my left. I turned to face him, cradling his body in my crooked form. His callused thumb brushed across my brow, sweeping the hair from my eyes.

“I made some breakfast, then we’ll be off. Sound good?” He asked, his voice as soft as the dull shine of the sun.

I nodded in reply, burying my face against the sheets and sighing. These were my last hours as a Black. He kissed my hair and stood from his spot beside me. I listened as his soft footsteps as they faded away. I would be able to listen to the gentle patter of his feet every morning for the rest of my life. I would never be spending a night away from him. The thought filled me, causing me to want to scream with excitement, but I refrained. It was too early for yells of delight.

“Come and eat, Andromeda,” he called from the kitchen.

I heard the sizzle of eggs, and I could smell toast. The fragrances met my nostrils, almost pulling me out of my bed towards the kitchen. Slumping back to the bed, I grumbled as I pushed myself up. As I stood, the mirror across the room rippled into life.

“You’re beautiful in the mornings, dear. But please, comb your hair.”

I chuckled at the voice. My hair had never been tame in the mornings, let alone during the days after I had attempted to style it. I ran my fingers through it as I walked from the bedroom and into the potent kitchen. The smell of freshly-made tea mingling with eggs and toast perked my senses as I walked up behind Ted and wrapped my small arms around him. He always felt the same: thin, but muscled. His muscles moved against my chest as he pieced together my plate. I laid my head on his upper back and breathed in deep. His scent was always the same as well: grass tainted with aftershave. It was a comfort to smell and feel him. I felt as if I were finally home.

He moved away from the counter, but I stayed attached, my feet falling into step with his. We moved as one to the small table on the other side of the counter and parted to sit. He slid my plate in front of me and took his for himself. I watched him eat, pulling my toast apart to pass the time. I lacked faith in my stomach to hold down any substance at this point.

We were getting married.

After deception for so long, I was finally defying my family in the fullest. This was it. I could feel Ted’s eyes on me as I thought, but I ignored them. These thoughts were ones of finality. I had made my choice, and I was happy with it.

My eyes slid back into focus, and I saw Ted staring directly at me, just as I had assumed. His hands moved in a flurry as they cut his eggs and rose to his mouth, but his eyes never left mine. I knew what he was thinking. I always knew what he was thinking; the expressions on his face gave away his inner emotions.

“You ready?” I asked him, pulling us from the comfortable silence that blanketed over us.

A grin slid over his concerned features as he said, “More ready than I’ll ever be. You ready?”

“More ready than you!” I quipped as I stood up and began to walk to the bathroom, but he countered my efforts as he rose from his chair and threw his arms around me, lifting me into the air and spinning me around. A laugh bubbled from within and escaped my lips, echoing through the house as his fingers brushed my sides, tickling me. He knew exactly where to touch to get the biggest rise out of me, and he got just what he wanted. I kicked my legs around him and squeezed tight as he tickled my sides endlessly, or so it felt. Finally, his hands fell away as they wrapped tightly around me. I had never felt so close to someone in my life as I did right now. Our hearts beat as one, our breath escaped together, and my head fit perfectly into the crevice of his neck.

“More ready than me, are you?” He responded breathily.

I tipped my chin forward and kissed the delicate skin on his neck, just the spot that always sent shivers down his spin. A shudder escaped his mouth at my action, and I grinned. I loved seeing what I did to him.

“More ready than ever,” I whispered against his skin.

--

We walked away from the small room, hand in hand. I could feel his nerves pulsing into me through the skin contact, but now was not time for uncontrollable behaviour. Now was a time for composure. I tugged impatiently at my dress robes as we walked away from the defining moment of our lives. I gripped his hand tightly, our fingers interlaced. Our destination became closer and closer as we remained in stunned silence.

As we reached the Atrium, I turned to him, unable to hide my smile of joy, and saw and equally as brilliant a smile upon his face.

We had done it.

Halting, our eyes remained locked on each other, and he said, “See you at home, Mrs. Tonks.”

A jolt of lightening flew through my body, touching every extremity and lighting every nerve on fire. Goosebumps popped up on my skin at the mere thought of my surname “ I was a Tonks.

I closed my eyes, and the next moment we were standing in front of the familiar blue door. It was my home. I lived here with my husband.

Letting out an irrepressible squeal of joy, I heard an equally loud yell from Ted as he once again swept me into his arms. He held me tight as we walked towards the house. His left hand let go of me as he balanced himself against the soft wood of the walls.

Pressing me gently against it, he looked into my eyes and said, “I love you, Mrs. Tonks.”

He hungrily kissed me, pouring every bit of himself into me, and I readily accepted. He was my life, and I allowed him to take me as it were. I wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders, pressing his chest to mine as I felt our love combine and intertwine in the air, radiating off us. I pulled away, leaning my head against the wall as I tried to catch my breath. I was Mrs. Andromeda Tonks.

However, Tonks was not my only name, and I couldn’t let that thought escape from my mind. In the small span of time since I had run away, I had changed my name, home, and loyalty. I now had my own life, and the thought of not telling my sisters or my parents pulled at me. They were my blood.

“Ted…” I moaned, not in need, but in anxiety.

“I knew this was coming,” he replied as if he knew what I was thinking. I felt his head fall against my chest and my heart beat against his forehead.

“I need to do it,” I said, defiance laced in my shaky voice. “I need to go.”

“I know. I’ll go with you.” he replied, his voice soft, but his cogency strengthened me. He set me down carefully and let me go. “I’m ready to face our demons.” He held my shoulders at arms length and looked at me as if I were the only thing he could see in the world.

“As am I. Now. No need to hang around; I have to get this out of the way. Just squeeze my hand tight and we can Side-Along to my house,” I said very quickly, the shakiness still in my voice.

He nodded and gave me a small kiss. “It’s not the end of the world, Andromeda. It’s just a confrontation””

“That could easily lead to the end of the world,” I finished for him, small droplets of sweat springing to my palms as our hands gripped each other with great force.

I gripped even tighter, drawing all my strength and will from him as I pictured my childhood residence.

“Here we are,” I announced as I opened my eyes. The large house was the epitome of fashion. The rooms held artefacts from ancient ancestors and decorations that would cause any middle-class wizard to wallow in self-pity. I walked up the narrow pathway to the red brick frontage all the while clutching Ted’s hand reassuredly. It felt good to know that no matter the circumstances, he was behind me”my anchor in the storm. Even if my parents hexed him into the next country, he would be here. I knew it from his firm grasp and assured gait.

I poised my hand to knock, but faltered. This was it. This was the end of my first life. I had already begun my second. Today was an overlap, really, but I needed to confront it here and now.

A surge of electricity pumped through my veins, reflexively causing my fist to bang against the aged wood of the door. As I dropped my hand, it fell against my side, and the world seemed to freeze around me. The only thing I could see was the door; the only thing I could hear was my own breathing, and the only thing I could feel was the warm pressure of Ted’s hand in mine.

I hardly registered the door swinging open, but when I saw no one in front of me, my eyes instantly jumped to the floor to see our house-elf standing before me.

“Miss Andromeda,” the round-nosed elf squeaked. “Mistress has wondered where Miss Andromeda has been.”

“Oh, could you let her know I am back?” I requested weakly, all of my fight gone.

“Oh no, no. Mistress went to see Mistress’ sister,” the house-elf replied as its eyes grew rounder than normal before it continued in a whisper, “Mistress was not happy, no. Not happy at all.

I straightened my shoulders, shaking off all the doubt and worry that had resided within me. Mother was at Aunt Walburga’s undoubtedly, and I was going to have to face both of them. It was no use being frightened, no. I needed my wits about me, or else I would have to face them without my guard up.

“Looks like we’re going to Grimmauld Place. You ready?” I asked, more to myself than to Ted.

He replied, “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

Winking he wrapped his arms around me. I grasped him tightly, and looked over his shoulder at the simple ring on my finger. It glinted in the sun, shining into my eyes as if it were angry at my being frightened.

Shaking myself from his grasp, I strongly said, “Bet you I’m more ready.”

A laugh escaped him as I pictured my aunt’s house, and once again we squeezed through space into a different setting. This one was softer than the last, holding a neighbourhood shrouded from the sunlight due to the abundance of trees. The land in front of us began to shake as number twelve squeezed its way in between number eleven and number thirteen. With finality, the serpent doorknocker clanged as the house shook its last shake. I glanced at Ted and saw certainty and strength upon his face, and I knew that everything in my life I had done up to this point had reason. I had made all the right choices, and I was about to make another.

I marched up to the door with Ted at my side, all the while twirling the gold ring on my finger. This time, I didn’t hesitate to knock; I grabbed the serpent’s head, and with gusto, I thrust it against the wood of the door.

We waited. There was neither tension nor fright. There was only anticipation.

The door opened. My mother was standing on the other side as if she had been expecting me. I had never seen her open a door for herself before then; it had always been the house-elf.

“Mother,” I said, my voice deep and strong as if she were battling my strength.

“Andromeda,” she said as she turned her nose upward. “I see you brought a guest. Would you care to come in?”

I glanced at Ted before we followed my mother’s retreating form up the stairs and into the drawing room. We remained in silence as if the house were in mourning, careful not to touch anything on our trek up the stairs.

When we reached the drawing room, the daunting family tree loomed at me as if it were taunting my pedigree, which was now tainted, as my mother would put it. Glancing at Ted, I took in his set features and knew that, even if he said we were ready to face our demons, he was frightened of the hurt it would cause me. He briefly grabbed my hand and squeezed it for reassurance, a motion that did not go unnoticed by my mother.

“Ah, I see now, Andromeda. Would you be so polite as to introduce us to your guest?” My mother asked, her voice laced with pure loathing. I could see it in her eyes”the way she looked at him”that she already knew he wasn’t pure.

I cleared my throat and said, “Mother, this is Ted Tonks. Ted, this is my mother””

“Yes, yes,” I heard my aunt’s silky voice interrupt, and I halted, my face heating with worry. “We’ve heard about Ted, haven’t we, Druella?”

My mother and aunt both looked upon me with different eyes than I had ever seen before. They were eyes filled with superiority. They were eyes that believed I was nothing more than the man standing beside me”a Mudblood, a bloodtraiter. To them, the words were synonymous in fault. The words meant no more to them than filth, and that’s what I had been reduced to in their eyes.

“We have, Walburga. Was it Bellatrix who informed us of Andromeda’s fallibility?” My mother hissed in a low voice, her animosity bouncing in my ears. This was my mother, the woman who had raised me. However harsh the stick she had brought us up with, she was still my mother, and to see this hatred directed at me was much more baleful than I had presumed. I had expected that I would allow her harsh remarks and looks to bounce off me, but that was not the case. Each word slid into my soul as if it were slowly slicing it apart.

“Mother””

“How dare you call me that? I no longer consider you my daughter. You have caused this family a disgrace. You have defiled us.” Her voice was a dead whisper, and she began to advance on me as the falling sensation of failure and fright coursed through me, obscuring my senses and stopping all feeling I had.

She continued, “The ring on your finger is dirt, Andromeda. It is vile””

“The ring is not dirt,” Ted interrupted, his voice shaking with anger. I had never seen him like that before. It was unexpected to see the blood rise in his face, his brow creased in rage. “The ring is a promise for life. That is hardly dirt.”

I cringed as my aunt let out a high-pitched peal of laughter at Ted’s useless defence. It really was no use to defend ourselves at this point, I knew. All it would do was fuel their fire, and that was anything but what we needed. I reached out and grabbed his hand in warning and what I hoped was discretion.

“Did you see that, Druella? She grabbed the Mudblood’s hand. How precious,” my aunt said, her voice full of mockery.

My mother’s eyes remained on me as she spoke her next words, the words of my destiny. “What did we do with your Great Great Aunt Isla, Walburga? What exactly came of her when she married the Mudblood?”

Her eyes remained locked on me, watching for a sign of struggle or resistance, but I was strong. Ted’s grasp had given me the strength so many minutes ago. His mere presence gave me the strength to handle the next words that were spoken by my aunt.

“We blew her of the tapestry, of course,” she replied as she pulled out her wand.

I watched in anticipation, but dread, as she neared the great hanging rug. This was my moment of reckoning, and to my surprise, glee jumped into my heart. The sudden feeling erased all fears I had of leaving my family. I knew what was coming and I welcomed it with open arms. It was the feeling I had been waiting for. It simply confirmed all that had happened in the past twelve hours; I was free of my blood-ties once and for all.

It seemed to happen in slow motion. My aunt drew her wand and cast a spell, and my name was forever banished from the Black family tapestry. Toujours Pur was not all it was cracked up to be, especially when I had someone like Ted by my side.

I ignored the words my mother was yelling at me. It was as if the noise had not even permeated my ears as I wrapped my arm around Ted’s waist and we walked from the room. This was surely the last time I would set foot in that household, or anywhere near the two women sitting within. It was all right, though. I had Ted, and Ted was my foundation.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=77055