Thanks, Prongs by Angela_Prongs
Summary: Sirius is wandering the Muggle streets. He can't go home and he doesn't know where else to go. Luckily, his feet know the way.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1358 Read: 2579 Published: 03/19/08 Updated: 04/16/08
Story Notes:
Everything besides Elaina and kind of the Potter mansion belongs to JKR. She rocks! And thank you to harry_victoria for beta-ing this! =]

1. Thanks, Prongs by Angela_Prongs

Thanks, Prongs by Angela_Prongs
For the first time, Sirius felt the need to cry. There was no one around, so he let the salt of his tears mix with the pounding rain. Sirius walked around the town aimlessly for hours. The 'tevelusions' were glowing brightly behind each window. All were inside for the evening, safe from the rain and safe from catching pneumonia. Occasionally, someone would look out the window and give Sirius a suspicious look. If he hung around an area for too long, more and more people would sneak glances at him from behind their curtains, tittering anxiously, and Sirius would move on.

He was sitting under the canopy-like covering of the coffee shop called “Latte Tyme.” Most Muggles thought it was a cheesy place, but Sirius thought it was cozy. He stayed here many summers with his fellow Marauders. He went inside. The familiar bell chimed, alerting the waitress that there was a customer. He went to the counter and gave the middle-aged woman a weak smile.

“Hi Elaina. Can I have a coffee?” Sirius sat on the round swivel stool.

He seemed to look down, for Elaina smiled warmly at him. The stout woman wandered around behind the counter, chattering at him in her kindly way. “So what are you doing out on a night like this? The weather’s right awful, it is. Surely you’ve got somewhere to go? But I suppose that’s why you’re here, aren’t you, love? So how are you tonight?”

Sirius smiled in response. He didn’t feel like lying to her. Although Sirius was clever with his words, he never told a lie; especially not to people whom were kind to him.

Sirius sipped his coffee and shivered. He could not go back. Of course that was obvious, but the realization was just beginning to hit him.

“Are you alright, dearie?”

Sirius snapped his head up. Elaina was staring at him from over the counter.

“Are you okay?” she repeated. “You look a little pale, hon.”

Sirius blinked a few times, but nodded his head. He smiled at her. “Thank you so much for the coffee.” He pulled out a few Muggle dollars from his pocket. He always had Muggle money with him, as he spent more time in the Muggle world during the summer than he did in his own house. “I’m really sorry Elaina, but this is all I have.” He handed her a few crumpled bills and an apologetic smile.

She nodded. “It’s alright, darling. As long as you’re okay. You heading off now?”

“Yeah, I’m leaving. I think I’ll go visit James.” Elaina smiled. She was very familiar with the Marauders and was often charmed by them.

“Well then, say hello to them, doll.” She waved him out of the shop.

Sirius got to his friend’s house in about forty-five minutes.

The Potter mansion was the size of about a quarter of Hogwarts. It was white and stood on a high hill on the outskirts of the town. It had Corinthian columns and tall, looming windows. Sirius knew every inch of it.

Sirius tapped his wand on the large iron gate. It swung smoothly open, and Sirius let himself in. The gate closed merrily behind him. The boy then treated himself to a stroll around the many-acre yard. There were bushes and flowers and maple trees and small rose gardens beneath each window. Birds chirped at his approach and he smiled at their sweet sounds.

He felt relaxed in the Potter’s property. He knew it so well and it felt as much like home as Hogwarts. It was still raining, but it was only a drizzle. A light, friendly drizzle that said, “I’m here, but I’m here for your company.”

Sirius was glad for the drizzle. He wasn’t a dark person at all, but he liked the rain. There was something calming about the overcast skies and the pitter-patter of the rain on his head. It was like all his problems were being washed away and for as long as he was there, he could just be. He could just be without a reason and without thought, and he was able to relax in his own self.

It was the feeling he got when he was with his friends.

Sirius somehow found himself at the back porch steps. The white wood was calling him, and he skipped up the steps and knocked. This door led to the kitchen, which was where James probably now was. Sirius smelt gingerbread. He was positive that James was on the other side of the door, flirting companionably with the cook, and trying to get himself some of the dough.

It turns out, Sirius was right. James opened the door and was not surprised to see his friend standing there. “Hey, Padfoot!” He lowered his voice. “Merriam’s making gingerbread. She keeps yelling at me to get out, but I think she’s saving me some.”

Sirius smirked. “You sure she didn’t poison it?”

James considered this. “Good point. You coming in or what?”

Sirius stepped into the warm room. “Hey, Merriam.” He winked at her. It was their game to flirt with the kindly woman until she gave them sweets. She was kind, but she was strict. They usually ended up getting their eyebrows singed.

The cook nodded at him. “Why don’t you two go somewhere else? I’ll save you something if you’re quiet.”

“Is it rat poison?” asked James mock eagerly.

Merriam scowled. “If you don’t watch out, it will be.”

Sirius grinned and led the way up the stairs to his friend’s room. The room was familiar to him.

James’s room was a rich, dark scarlet; his favorite color. It was large, of course. Larger than Sirius’s, actually. His bed was a four-poster bed with a scarlet canopy, bed sheets, pillows, and bedspread. There was one large window on the far wall across from the door. The drapes were a scarlet velvet colour. The rest of the room was not so neat. The wood floor was absolutely covered in stuff. First off, James didn’t seem prone to using the laundry basket. There were clothes everywhere; whether they were clean or not, he probably didn’t know. There were sweets wrappers scattered around in various places, and there were owl feathers all over the top of the wardrobe.

There was a desk in the corner. It was a large desk, and it was possibly the neatest thing next to the bed. There were pictures on it. Most were of the Marauders, and one was of Lily. There was one picture that really caught the eye. It was taken during Christmas in the Gryffindor common room. Sirius and Remus were playing chess in front of the fire, while James and Peter were watching attentively. Lily was reading a book on the floor, every once in a while glancing to see how the game was going. All five friends were content. Sirius often stared at this picture for long periods of time, remembering that night and wishing every day could be like that.

“Padfoot! Oi!” James was standing in the middle of the room, watching Sirius watch the picture. “Didn’t you hear me?”

Sirius blinked. “Er, what was that?”

“I said, how long are you staying?”

This was the moment that Sirius had been waiting for. He wasn’t nervous. He practically lived there, anyway. And he was sure the whole family would be glad to have him. The maids, on the other hand…

“Well,” Sirius began. “Well Prongs, I was hoping I could stay here for… for good.”

James raised his eyebrows but otherwise did not comment. Sirius would explain when he was ready. “Is Regulus coming with your stuff?”

“I’ll owl him. I--I kind of left in a hurry.”

James nodded. “Troy is ready anytime you need him.” Troy was James’s owl. He was currently hooting dolefully on top of James’s bed.

Sirius nodded and threw himself on his friend’s bed. “Thanks, Prongs.”
End Notes:
Please, review! I'd love to hear what you think. Like it? Love it? Hate it? Could live without it? Tell me!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=77629