Map of Destiny by LS_359
Summary: The infamous Marauder’s Map. Created by a gang of four friends from Gryffindor in their sixth and seventh years. It has been an issue to contend with ever since Filch confiscated it, but, was it the only map made? What happened to the others? And how, did four 16-year-old boys have the time or skills to create such a wonder?

Prongs, Padfoot, Wormtail and Moony are in their sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but something is different this year, much different. How will this affect their school life, and above all their friendship?
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1118 Read: 1748 Published: 07/05/08 Updated: 07/20/08
Story Notes:
This is my first attempt, so I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks so much to JKR who created such wonderful and easy characters to work with!

1. Chapter 1: A Midnight Guest by LS_359

Chapter 1: A Midnight Guest by LS_359
Author's Notes:
Enjoy!
“James! Wake up, son!” Mr. Potter was immensely tired and over exasperated, it had been a very long day. It was two in the morning, and his 16-year-old son had been up all night waiting for his best friend to arrive. James had been anxiously awaiting Sirius black, staring at the fireplace, just staring and waiting for the flames to turn emerald green. Mrs. Potter too had been nervous cleaning every inch of the house, preparing for their guest. At long last Mr. Potter’s wife and son had fallen asleep having lost confidence in Sirius’ coming but when the doorbell rang a second time, Mr. Potter was positive it was James’ friend.

“James, go get the door “ it’s Sirius.” James Potter, wearily awake to answer the door, not yet fully understanding that it was the long-awaited coming of Sirius. After stumbling around to find his way to the door, James ran his hand through his ridiculously messy hair, making it even messier in the process. Upon answering the door, and looking out into the starry gleam of early morning, James finally realized who it was he had been awoken to greet.

“Padfoot!” James yelped, whilst attempting to both yawn and rub sleep (as well as surprise) from his eyes. Suddenly waking up as though a jolt of electri-city (was that what the Muggles called it?) had shot through him, James began right in on mocking his friend. “Through the front door? Sirius, that’s pretty awkward. I was thinking you would come through the Floo network. You’re house is still connected right? I made special sure and dad said that you could definitely get to our house through it. Mum was a little nervous though, she said you could get lost or something else might happen, and for a while I thought you did. But then I remembered that you wouldn’t get lost. But still, through the door? What did you do, fly here on your broomstick? I mean, it took you long enough. But then, you couldn’t because Muggles would have seen you and - ”

“James.” His father simply smiled as he saw the stupid looking grin on his son’s face as he stopped mid-sentence. “You’re rambling, and it looks as though Sirius is very tired from his trip.”

It was now that James finally realized, through all of his excitement, that Sirius was still standing at the front door, and for that matter had not yet even looked up or greeted him. Staring curiously at his friend, James appeared dumbstruck and was still staring awkwardly at his friend.

“Hiya Prongs, Sorry I’m late, Mrs. Potter, Mr. Potter.” There seemed to be something odd about his voice, but James, who was still standing dumbstruck, couldn’t quite figure out what that something was.

“There is absolutely nothing to be sorry about dear,” Mrs. Potter had just entered the foyer and in the same motion as welcoming Sirius (a frequent guest) managed to break the spell that seemed to plague James. James grinned widely at his friend at this, though was still concerned with what plagued his best friend. “Now, you must be starving, Sirius, when did you eat last. I have some of your favourite foods prepared, although James tells me you eat almost anything. But aside from that, I am sure you must be hungry. I have some treacle tarts, cauldron cakes, as well as some…” Mrs. Potter’s thoughts seemed to have lost their voice, their means of communication with the outside world. Sirius’ shoulders sagged even more than they had a moment ago as he realized that his best friends mother had realized his affliction. “Master Black, you get yourself in this house right this moment! Do you hear me, not a moment more. James, grab his things. How in the world, dear, did this happen. I am simply astounded that you did not have the decency to come here straight away; this appears hours old already.” As Mrs. Potter’s shrill, motherly voice deadened to an annoyed murmur, Sirius, slowly dragged himself into the well lit foyer, an it was know that James saw what ailed his friend. He was sudden; angry with himself for not having picked up on it sooner, his mother had.

As his conscience argued with itself over whether or not he ought to have seen Sirius’ face sooner or if he ought to be given some leniency, James’ eyes shifted to the sight before him Sirius’ naturally good looking face, the kind that had every girl at Hogwarts in love, appeared split in two. A nasty gash that was turning somewhat greenish separated his nose and one eye from the other eye and his left ear. A shiny black and purple bruise took up most of Sirius’ right eye and it was for this reason, James surmised, that Padfoot had not looked up upon James’ answering the door. With a half grin and a look of despair in his usually playful gray eyes, Sirius stepped past a shocked and bewildered James.

“James,” his father’s strong, presence and calm, collective voice reassured James and was a comfort. James knew that his mother would be able to fix Sirius up just fine, but it was not this that bothered the young man. Why would anyone want to hurt Sirius, and how did they do this to him? Sure, Sirius annoyed a lot of people, but to go this far? It was distasteful.

“James.” His father’s voice cut into his thoughts once again, “James, go and get Sirius’ things please. We’ll put him in the guest bedroom tonight, so that he can sleep and be at ease. If he wants, we can move him to your room tomorrow.”

James nodded dumbly. His mouth felt as though he had been hexed with a tongue-locker curse. As he went to get Sirius’ things, he noticed that his friend carried with him much more than usual, and that this was not likely a good sign.

Wearily, James dragged his friend’s things to the guest room and then retired to his own room, where he lay awake for hours, listening to his mother’s chiding and his father’s comforting tone. He only heard Sirius grunt a few one-word responses to his mother’s questions “ a fact James took note of, realizing that his friend did not want to discuss this issue. As the minutes became hours, James finally drifted to sleep taking in the comforting sounds of his friend snoring soundly in the next room. When the roosters called their greeting to the dawn, James continued to lay in a restless sleep.
End Notes:
Well, there it is, I sincerely hope you enjoyed the first portion of my story.
Hope to update soon!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=79974