Potter's Pentagon: The Past (Book Three) by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Summary: The final installment in the Potter’s Pentagon Trilogy. Read “The Five” and “The Truth” first, myess? Okay!

WARNING! Contains Muggle adventures in Diagon Alley, unusual eyebrows, cheesy clichés galore, psycho Ted, the not-so-lost years of Merlin, a school-wide singalong, the old potato joke, Tyrone’s Princess Bride obsession, Emma’s stubborn denial of the existence of Tyrone’s mustache, a graphic death, a joke shop product as a major plot device, hobo Jordan, Jordan hugging, Jordan pulling pranks, time travel, the Love Shack, angst, and worst of all, Professor Zabini.

It’s the sixth year for Potter’s Pentagon and company, and our heroes learn that in the wizarding world, coming of age has a somewhat weightier significance. Students are busy with an Inter-House Unity Project, Jordan is having weird dreams, Pansy and Ophidias Malfoy have been released from Azkaban, Professor Zabini has a mysterious project of his own, and almost everyone is acting strangely. Meanwhile, at the Ministry of Magic, a man with a vendetta against Ron Weasley is trying his hardest to get him in the biggest trouble possible. Is the only way to save him to travel into the past?

New talents are discovered, new friendships form and old ones change, pasts are dredged up, and, of course, there’s lots of good old-fashioned snogging. And one of the five kills for the first time… while another becomes a casualty of war.

Starring 2008 Quicksilver Quills Best Male Original Character runner-up Jordan Potter, Best Female Original Character nominees Ivy Potter, Haley Potter, Emma Weasley, and Giorgi Anderson, and Best Male Original Character nominee Ted Lupin! Nominated for 2008 Quicksilver Quills Best Post-Hogwarts Story.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 183223 Read: 139310 Published: 07/09/08 Updated: 03/15/10

1. Chapter 1: In Which Jordan Has A Bad Experience With A Hobo by Schmerg_The_Impaler

2. Chapter 2: In Which Tyrone Makes Dorkiness Cool by Schmerg_The_Impaler

3. Chapter 3: In Which Ivy Avoids Attack Chickens, But Not Hadrian Bellowes by Schmerg_The_Impaler

4. Chapter 4: In Which An Old Adversary Slouches Back Onto The Scene by Schmerg_The_Impaler

5. Chapter 5: In Which Professor Zabini Hatches A Diabolical Plan by Schmerg_The_Impaler

6. Chapter 6: In Which Anatoly Matches Giorgi In Sheer Eccentricity by Schmerg_The_Impaler

7. Chapter 7: That Obligatory Hospital Wing Chapter by Schmerg_The_Impaler

8. Chapter 8: In Which Emma Has A Birthday Adventure by Schmerg_The_Impaler

9. Chapter 9: In Which Jordan Loses His Marbles by Schmerg_The_Impaler

10. Chapter 10: In Which Ivy Has A Very Malfoy Christmas by Schmerg_The_Impaler

11. Chapter 11: In Which Giorgi Smells A Rat, And Ophidias Isn't One by Schmerg_The_Impaler

12. Chapter 12: In Which Charybdis Is Nott Happy by Schmerg_The_Impaler

13. Chapter 13: In Which Ted and Merlin Chat With Some Professors by Schmerg_The_Impaler

14. Chapter : In Which Jordan is Unnecessarily Dramatic by Schmerg_The_Impaler

15. Chapter 15: In Which Tyrone Is Unpleasantly Surprised by Schmerg_The_Impaler

16. Chapter 16: In Which Emma and Ted Are Just A Tad Cranky by Schmerg_The_Impaler

17. Chapter 17: In Which Haley Puts On A Show by Schmerg_The_Impaler

18. Chapter 18: In Which Jordan Sits and Sulks... So What Else Is New? by Schmerg_The_Impaler

19. Chapter 19: In Which Ivy Finds Fun In The Unlikeliest of Places by Schmerg_The_Impaler

20. Chapter 20: In Which Things Start To Heat Up by Schmerg_The_Impaler

21. Chapter 21: In Which Haley Takes The Plunge by Schmerg_The_Impaler

22. Chapter 22: In Which Our Heroes Suffer Boo-Boos by Schmerg_The_Impaler

23. Chapter 23: In Which All's Fair In Love And War by Schmerg_The_Impaler

24. Chapter 24: Is This A Kissing Book? by Schmerg_The_Impaler

25. Chapter 25: In Which (Almost) All Is Revealed by Schmerg_The_Impaler

26. Chapter 26: In Which Loose Ends Are Tied Up by Schmerg_The_Impaler

27. Chapter 27: In Which Cheesiness Reaches New Heights by Schmerg_The_Impaler

28. Epilogue: There And Back Again by Schmerg_The_Impaler

Chapter 1: In Which Jordan Has A Bad Experience With A Hobo by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
YAY! Here it is! If you like Potter's Pentagon, there's a spinoff called "Pride and Pre-Juiced Plums: A Potter's Pentagon Love Story" up on my profile. It's from Emma's point of view, based on "Pride and Prejudice" and in the romance category, but it's much funnier than the PP trilogy, so don't expect pure mush. You'll find some familiar faces, as well as some interesting new ones.

This particular installment, "The Past," is much longer than either of the other two in the trilogy, and rather different in scope and pacing, so it's slower in pace than the other two. But I think it's still very interesting!
Jordan didn’t know where he was. It was strange, he mused; he had suddenly found himself in the middle of a strange and completely unfamiliar street with no memory of how he had gotten there and nobody he knew in the vicinity… and yet, he didn’t care. His normally logical, anal-retentive mind accepted this fact with blissful ignorance as he continued down the winding path.

It was a grey, foggy day, giving the otherwise mundane landscape of naked trees and the occasional ramshackle house a bleak eeriness. He was not the only person on this path”not far behind him, a teenaged couple strolled hand-in-hand, and a middle-aged man in truly hideous purple leggings jogged steadily to the beat of his headphones. An elderly woman and a girl who couldn’t be older than two sat on a bench, feeding pigeons. But although there were others nearby, he was unquestionably alone.

Suddenly, a young woman in a pink dress appeared out of thin air with a slight pop. She seemed totally unfazed by this, not even pausing to look about her at her surroundings before walking briskly down the path. But although she was nonchalant about her sudden materialization, this in no way reflected the attitudes of those around her. Behind Jordan, the teenaged couple screamed and clutched one another, the man in the purple leggings swore loudly, the elderly woman nearly toppled off of her bench in shock, and the two-year-old girl giggled and clapped her hands together.

Not oblivious to this reaction, the young woman in the pink dress stopped in her tracks and slapped herself in the forehead. “Oh, right,” she muttered. “How could I have forgotten?” She rummaged in the denim purse slung across her shoulder and pulled out a wooden stick. She waved it and mumbled a few words to herself, and instantly, everyone seemed to warm considerably to this new arrival.

“Sorry, Walid. What were you talking about again?” Jordan heard the female half of the teenaged couple behind him say.

The male half of the couple replied casually, “I dunno, Jenny, it wasn’t important. It sure didn’t have anything to do with some lady randomly appearing out of nowhere!” He laughed heartily at the preposterousness of it all.

The man in the purple leggings winked and nodded at the young woman as he jogged past, and the elderly woman on the bench called, “Happy Christmas!” (Which was slightly odd, seeing as it seemed to be summer, despite the leafless trees and grey skies.)

The young woman in the pink dress grinned with satisfaction, her freckled nose wrinkling mischievously, and she stowed the stick back in her purse before continuing on her way.

Her dark hair shone in the muted sun as it bounced around her shoulders, and the stiletto heels of her fashionable shoes--open-toed to reveal sparkly pink toenails--clacked pleasantly on the pitted asphalt. She was rather attractive, bright-eyed and slim, and impossible to classify by age. She could have been anywhere from thirteen to thirty-three years old.

Jordan watched as she made her way over to a park bench and sat down, crossing her legs daintily There appeared to be a lumpy blanket beside her on the bench, and she prodded it surprisingly roughly with her elbow. By now, the jogger and the couple had passed by, and the old woman and her granddaughter’s attention had shifted back to the hungry pigeons. So Jordan was the only person besides the woman in the pink dress to observe what happened next.

The lumpy blanket groaned and shifted, and a second later, a scruffy head popped out from beneath it. Then, like a moth emerging from a cocoon, the man lying on the bench kicked off the blanket and rubbed his eyes blearily. “What brings you to this bench, ma’am, when there are several other perfectly good ones in the area that tend to be far less occupied by men trying to sleep?” he asked with a rather huge yawn. Although he was clearly homeless, he spoke clearly and articulately, and his voice was well-modulated despite its rather flat, cynical tone.

The young woman in the pink dress frowned impatiently. “Don’t give me that,” she replied, sounding as if she regularly conversed with this man. “You know fully well what I’m doing here. Now move over.” She shoved the man into a sitting position, showing no qualms about touching the filthy beggar with her clean, manicured hands.

The man raised his head, flicking shaggy tangles of long black hair out of his eyes. He wore an expression of great dignity, despite his lowly appearance and ragged clothing. “I have no interest in becoming the property of your charity du jour, ma’am. I understand you’re quite famous in the wizarding world, and I am aware of how involved actresses are in attempting to appear selfless, but I assure you, I need no help.”

The young woman in the pink dress looked about ready to punch him in the nose. “Of course the first thing that pops into your stupid, arrogant head is that I’ve come here to help you!” she snapped. “But guess what? I don’t really care if you live out on this bench, making a few coins of Muggle money every day from singing or doing ‘magic tricks”’” (Here, she made air quotes with her fingers) “”because that was all your choice. You could’ve done anything with your life. So, no, I didn’t come here to talk to you and try not to smell you because I wanted to help you. I need your help.”

The homeless man chuckled bitterly, the laughter not reaching his hollowed and hardened green eyes. “You are clearly confusing me with someone capable of action,” he said, gesturing at the tattered clothes that hung on his thin body, the sunken and prematurely aged features, the grubby and stubble-covered face.

“Oh, I would know you anywhere,” hissed the woman, moving her face inches away from his. “Look, Dad’s life is on the line, and Bellowes wants him thrown in Azkaban. We need to save Dad, and it’s the least you can do, considering what you owe us.”

The homeless man was silent. However, the woman still had plenty to say. “I know you’re too afraid to face anyone from the wizarding world after what you did in your sixth year,” she spat, “And I don’t blame you. Of course, Bellowes loves you now, especially since Ron died. And, yeah, everyone else pretty much hates you, especially for what happened to Emma Weasley, but you can redeem yourself. Helping the people whose lives you wrecked with your idiotic selfishness is probably a better way to spend your time than sitting here feeling sorry for yourself.”

The man stood up and walked around the bench to face her. “You must think I’m someone else,” he spoke, enunciating very precisely. “I’ve never spoken to you before in my life, ma’am. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’d very much like to go back to sleep, so I’d prefer it if you left. Immediately.”

Now the woman got to her feet as well, drawing herself up to her full, rather diminutive, height. Her bright green eyes narrowed with anger. “YOU ARE MY BROTHER, YOU MORON!” she shouted. “DON’T YOU ‘MA’AM’ ME AND PRETEND YOU’VE NEVER SEEN ME BEFORE! YOU KNEW ME BEFORE WE WERE EVEN BORN!” She sighed with disgust. “Don’t you realize how much I need your help? I know you’re only acting like you don’t know me”I’m an actress, I can tell the difference between faking and the real thing, after all.”

The man shook his head, not even a flicker of emotion crossing his young but weather-beaten face. “You are raving,” he stated sharply.

There was absolutely no noise at all for almost a minute as the two of them stared into one another’s eyes. Finally, a slightly hysterical and completely humourless laugh escaped the woman’s lips. “Fine, stay here,” she said, her voice grave and low. “But don’t expect me to feel sorry for you”don’t think I’ll cry if you die out here. And call me overdramatic, but as far as I’m concerned, you’re already dead.” She took a moment to regain her composure, then turned and strode away, her purse swinging from her arm.

As she passed Jordan, the boy got the first good look at her face close up. She looked so familiar, but he couldn’t put his finger on where he had seen her before. And suddenly, he was filled with a sudden urge to know who the homeless man was, as well.

“Erm, excuse me?” he called, his throat inexplicably dry and cottony.

The young woman stopped in her tracks and turned around to look at him. She tried to smile, but couldn’t quite manage it. “Yes?”

“Uh…what was that all about?” Jordan asked. “Who was that man you were talking to?”

The young woman sighed. “Just someone I used to know,” she said sadly. “My baby brother, Jordan.”

* * * * * *



“Jordan, wake up!”

Jordan sat up bolt upright in bed. It was only a dream, of course… naturally, he couldn’t have traveled ten or so years into the future. And yet, he felt unsettled, almost ill. He had read somewhere that almost everyone dreams every night, but he almost never remembered his own dreams. After looking in his father’s Pensieve when he was small, he had had nightmares for weeks, but since then, the only dreams he’d remembered were about small, insignificant things, like playing Quidditch or sitting in class. And this dream was so vivid, so real.

He crawled out from under his sheets, reminding himself forcibly of the older, homeless version of himself in the dream.

And just like in the dream, his twin sister Haley was standing over him dressed in pink and denim. “Rise and shine, baby bro!” she sang. “Today’s that day you’ve been looking forward to all summer and all sane people have been dreading! It’s O.W.L.s test results day!”

Because his contacts were not in, Jordan couldn’t exactly see his sister clearly, but there was something comforting about seeing her as a shrimpy hyperactive girl instead of the glamorous, mature version of herself in the dream. Haley’s shoulder-length black hair, tied with a pink ribbon and neatly flipping up at the ends, tickled Jordan’s nose as he sat up in bed. “That’s the spirit!” she chirped. “Ted and Emma are over, and we’re all waiting for you to start breakfast, matey!”

“I can’t help being nocturnal,” groaned Jordan, snatching up the clothes he had laid out the night before, being compulsively organized like that, and slouching into the bathroom. He didn’t know anyone but Haley could be so perky so early in the morning, but then, Haley was usually perky. She was a petite ball of energy who tended toward the theatrical and was therefore very clear in expressing her likes (singing, mischief, sugar) and dislikes (people who could raise one eyebrow, potions, and schoolwork, although she had been working harder lately.)

Conversely, Jordan preferred not to wear his heart on his sleeve and didn’t usually spew out whatever thoughts were on his mind. Although he did somewhat resembled his sister physically, he was her polar opposite personality-wise. While Haley was happy to be a member of a wild crowd, Jordan was a born leader who had little patience for silliness and frivolity. He enjoyed solitary pursuits like schoolwork and reading as well, although he had lightened up a bit in the past year and now devoted quite as much energy to sports, music, and computers as he did to work and responsibilities.

He finished washing up and popped in his contact lenses. He brushed his teeth, but didn’t even bother thinking about brushing his unruly mop of black hair”it was absolutely uncontrollable, and he’d learned to accept it.

“Had fun in there?” asked Haley, who was bouncing up and down on Jordan’s bed as he stepped out of the bathroom.

“Oh, loads,” replied her brother sarcastically, throwing his pajamas onto the bed and coincidentally managing to hit Haley in the face with his pants in the process.

Haley smirked. “Please, no details,” she said, jumping off the bed and skipping down the stairs ahead of Jordan.

When Jordan reached the kitchen, he could tell that the large table was already nearly full. His mother, his aunt Hermione, and Dora Lupin were conspicuously missing (they usually had a ladies’ breakfast tea at the Lupin residence on Saturday mornings), but most of the usual Saturday crowd was there. His father and Remus Lupin, were seated with full plates, and the younger set of Potter twins, the three-year-old Holly and Jonathan, were trying to convince their father to allow them to eat cookies for breakfast.

“But Uncle Ron lets us!” whined Holly.

“Then I’m going to have to speak to your Uncle Ron about his babysitting techniques,” responded Harry. “Where is he, anyway?”

Nobody answered him, because at that moment Jordan and Haley took a seat at the table, allowing everyone else to eat.

“Jordan has risen from the dead!” proclaimed Haley with an expression of mock-seriousness.

“Make that bed. Want some bread?” said Ted Lupin, causing inevitable giggles of ‘that rhymed!’ from Haley.

“Honestly, I think you’re less mature than Holly and Jonathan sometimes, Haley,” groaned Jordan, turning toward Ted. “No, thanks. I’m not very hungry.” The dream was still weighing heavily on his mind.

Ted shrugged and instead helped himself to the bread, after offering it around to the others seated at the table.

He was a very tall and skinny boy, really rather gawky looking, with shaggy light brown hair that fell haphazardly into his round blue eyes. Ted had a friendly, if rather tired-looking face and a pleasant, easygoing personality. Naturally, he was well-liked, and his casual, optimistic manner and sense of humour didn’t hurt. But there were two things that really made Ted unique. One was his talent for understanding feelings and emotions, and the other was the fact that he was a werewolf.

Ted was not the only teenager at the table who occasionally transformed into an animal, though. “Jordan, can you pass the fruit?” Ivy, Jordan’s adopted sister asked brightly. As she reached for the fruit bowl, her hand bumped against Ted’s and they smiled at one another in a slightly sickening sort of way.

Ivy happened to be both Ted’s best friend and girlfriend, as well as being an Animagus who could transform into an arctic fox at will. She was a rather shy girl, sweet, habitually nervous, and hardworking, and it was hard to believe that she was the biological daughter of Draco Malfoy. But she did resemble the Malfoys, with a porcelain-pale complexion, grey eyes, and sharp, angular features that were more distinctive than pretty. Her hair, white-blonde and long enough to sit on, was fixed in a tight braid, as usual.

“I think my dad probably went out to get some coffee, found a shop, and decided never to leave,” remarked Emma Weasley with her mouth full. True, her father, Ron, was quite the caffeine addict (a habit that had formed due to his stressful work as an Auror) but he could always get good coffee free at the Potters’. Emma tended to make disparaging comments about her father’s love for coffee, though, because she frankly couldn’t understand why some people needed caffeine.

She was like a wind-up toy that never quite stopped going, never quite released all of its potential energy. This was not to say that she was hyperactive like her best friend Haley”just rather high-strung. She tended to speak before giving any thought, and frequently had foot-in-mouth moments, and her dark brown eyes were always blazing for one reason or another. It wasn’t a good idea to get on her bad side, but she could be a very useful ally.

Emma was talented”bold, strong-willed, and quick-witted, she was the scourge of the dueling club. She played Chaser for the Gryffindor house Quidditch team, (of which Jordan was the captain) and had served as the Hogwarts champion in the Triwizard Tournament the previous year. To make her even more formidable, she was generally considered quite pretty, with long wavy reddish-brown hair, dark eyes, and dazzling teeth that were more often than not displayed in a wicked grin.

She wasn’t grinning at the moment, though. Rather, she was glancing uncomfortably at the window, where five owls were jostling and scraping, all vying to be the first inside. “It’s owls with O.W.L.s,” hissed Haley, stating the obvious like a pro.

Very rarely were there so many rising sixth-years under one roof, and there was a brief period of feathery chaos as owls hooted and flapped around the breakfast table, trying to locate whoever would be the recipient of their envelopes. Finally, everything settled down.

“Good owl,” Ted cooed in soothing tones, giving some of his breakfast to a rather large owl that was currently perched somewhat painfully on his head. “Let’s not dig the talons in so much, okay? Good boy!” He untied his envelope from the owl’s leg.

Ivy laughed. “I’m sorry, but it’s so funny!” she said, and helped him remove the bird from his scalp, her own having already departed.

“Zsa-Zsa must have bragged to everyone in the owlery about what a great perch my head is,” stated Ted, referring to his own beloved owl.

“Well, I bet it’s a nice view from up there,” remarked Haley. She poked Ted in the ribs with her spoon. “You tall person, you.”

Jordan said nothing. He was too busy slitting open his envelope, determined to be the first to see his scores. Although he hadn’t studied for the O.W.L.s as much as he would have liked, they hadn’t seemed too difficult to him, so he knew he couldn’t have done too poorly. But then, there was that one 93% he’d gotten on a Potions assignment the previous year… what if he’d missed an O by one point again?

He unfolded his parchment, skimmed over its contents, and let out a breath that he hadn’t realized he’d been holding.

“How did you do?” asked Lupin.

“You know how I did in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor,” replied Jordan with a slight smile”after all, Ted’s father had taught Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts for two decades, with only a short one-year break when Harry had covered for him.

Jordan held up his grades for all the room to see. He had every right to be smiling; proudly running down the parchment was a steady procession of eleven little O’s.

Harry grinned and patted his son on the back. “Great job, Jordan. Whatever you do, don’t let your Aunt Hermione find out. Even she didn’t get straight O’s on her O.W.L.s! I doubt she’ll ever forgive you.”

Jordan beamed, something that didn’t happen too often. His smile lit up his whole face, and he momentarily forgot about his troubling dream. He always loved getting back tests, and these were the ultimate test results.

“How are we supposed to top that?” groaned Emma.

“You’re not,” replied Haley, sticking out her tongue.

She was right, though nobody really minded. Ivy and Emma got similarly solid scores, if not exemplary, Emma’s strengths lying in her practical examinations, and Ivy’s in her written tests. There was, however, one notable exception to this.

“Oh!” Ivy exclaimed, a sharp intake of breath that was little more than a whisper. “I…I got an O-plus on my Transfiguration practical. Wait, is that even a real mark?” She looked up at the rest of the table. “I didn’t mean to brag…” she added quickly, trying to hide a wide smile

“It’s not bragging to tell the truth,” Haley told her. “Just like how it’s not bragging to say that Dad’s Head Auror or that Emma was Triwizard Champion, or that Jordan’s a brainiac or that I’m incredibly stunning and charming.”

Ted put his arm around Ivy’s shoulders. “It’s no wonder you got an O-plus in Transfiguration. How many fifth years can show the examiners that they can turn into an animal at the drop of a hat? Even the Marauders couldn’t do it for their O.W.L.s, ‘cos they were unregistered. They probably invented the O-plus just for you. That’s awesome.”

Ivy blushed, and Jordan seriously considered starting a tally chart of how many times she blushed that year.

Ted’s scores were decent, better than he’d expected, but not great. He’d always managed to get good grades in school because he worked hard, but exams were more difficult for him, especially written ones. This was because he had slight dyslexia, which sometimes made it hard for him to read and spell. But he was happy with how he’d done”he knew he’d done his best, and besides, he was usually pretty laid-back about such matters.

Now, the envelope left unopened was Haley’s. “Saving the worst for last,” she said, with a nervous glance toward her father. She ripped open the envelope took out the parchment with flourish, and read it. Her face fell like a ruined soufflé.

“Are they really that bad?” Ivy asked softly, her brow wrinkling with concern.

Instantly, Haley’s crumpled expression transformed into a giant smile. “Nope!” she exclaimed triumphantly. “Now I know I’ll do well as an actress!” She brandished her scores. “Dun-da-da-DUNNN!” she sang in fanfare.

Haley’s scores were good, far better than anyone could have guessed. Nine O.W.L.s in all, she had passed every class she’d taken, her lowest grades being A’s.

“Three O’s! Great job!” Harry exclaimed, and Haley bounced up from her chair and gave her father a big hug. “Divination, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and…Potions, of all things!”

Haley replied with a sound best described as a ‘squeee!’

“I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again,” stated Emma. “Haley’s a smart girl, don’t let her fool you. Three O’s, though… I knew you were doing better in school, but I didn’t think you’d get three O’s!”

“Two, really,” Jordan put in loudly. “Divination’s hardly a real subject. I personally think it’s just a lot of lucky guessing.”

“It is not!” Haley shot back, stamping her foot emphatically. “I know I’m not a Seer or anything, but people like me can at least learn to interpret stuff like tea leaves and dreams.” The word ‘dreams’ caused a slight shiver to run down her brother’s spine. He didn’t want to think what Haley would interpret his dream to mean. “You just don’t get it because you’re so boring and obsessed with logic. As if logic has anything to do with magic, anyway! All they have in common is the last three letters!”

This argument probably could have continued all day, but it was broken off abruptly by a sudden interruption. The door banged open, and Ron Weasley stepped inside, looking white and shaken. He was wearing his Auror robes and his red hair was uncombed. Haltingly, he walked toward the table and took a seat, but he didn’t accept any food or drink.

Right then, Jordan knew something was wrong. He had never seen his uncle sit at a table full of food without even taking a mug of coffee.

Ron, slumped in his chair, looked around at the assembled party and said in a low, guttural voice, “I’m in big trouble.”
End Notes:
The Official Schmerg_The_Impaler Reader Art Contest is still open! It closes the DAY AFTER THE SECOND CHAPTER OF THIS STORY IS ACCEPTED. But please submit! I'd love it very much. Here's some info on it:

Just draw me a picture of anything Potter’s Pentagon related (character portraits, scenes from the stories, your own deranged fantasies, such as Tyrone and Jordan snogging in a canoe wearing tiger costumes) and either PM or email it to me via the contact author link on my profile.

DO NOT post it in a review, and DO NOT send it as an attachment. I will be posting all entries on my friend’s website, accessible via the OTHER link on my profile. Fill out this form to enter:

Username/Name you’d like to be called:
Title of Picture/who or what is in the picture:
Link to Picture:
Favourite song and its artist:
Everyone who enters will get an idiotic prize!
Chapter 2: In Which Tyrone Makes Dorkiness Cool by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
This chapter was too much fun to write! I love Giorgi, don't you? PLEASE tell me you spot the Beatles reference. Incidentally, Eraser Mart is an inside joke with my friend... all I will say about it is... Estonian adult bookstores. Speaking of my friend.. some of you who frequent the Crow's Nest (the awesome website YOU TOO can join off of the link in my profile!) may recognize the president of the Students for Snape thingy as everyone's favourite moderator!
All eyes were fixed on Ron now. He took a deep breath and elaborated, “It’s Hadrian Bellowes.”

Three members of the table simultaneously let out involuntary gasps. Jordan as though he’d been hit on the head with a mallet, his father sighed with irritation, and Emma turned white with inexplicable terror. The rest of the group responded far less dramatically.

“Who’s Hadrian Bellowes?” Ivy wanted to know.

Her father answered for Ron. “He’s third-in-command at the Auror office, older than Ron and me and a lot more experienced. He or Angus Williamson should have been made head of the department after Dawlish retired, but instead, I automatically got promoted to the head after I finished training.” He sighed. “I’m not proud of it, but this was before Percy became Minister of Magic, and things weren’t as… organized as they are now. And in any case, I’ve been head now for about twenty years, and I really like my job. But Hadrian Bellowes can’t get over his grudge”he keeps pointing out everything we’re doing ‘wrong.’”

Ron nodded. “Yeah,” he said. “He really wants me fired, and I reckon his plan is to sack Harry not long after.” His morose expression transformed into one of anger and disgust. “But wait ‘till you see what he’s done now.” He held up the latest issue of the Daily Prophet and turned to page three. “There’s this thing on page three where people can send in articles they wrote themselves. Kind of like editorials, only not from the editor. And it looks like Bellowes decided to pick up a quill.”

A photo of Ron sat smiling bashfully in the centre of the page, accompanied by two others. One of these photos was an embarrassingly unflattering photograph of him at age seventeen, gangly and smudgy-nosed. But that was not the picture that drew the most attention. It was that of a man with long, greasy black hair parted in curtains around his thin and sallow face. Cold black eyes glittered on either side of a long, hooked nose, and his general attitude appeared to match his eyes perfectly. The accompanying article read:

“Ronald Weasley: Heroic or Homicidal?
By Hadrian Bellowes

Few can say that they don’t know who Deputy Head Auror Ronald B. Weasley is”if they don’t know him from his high position in the Ministry, they invariably own a trading card featuring his image.

Most know him as Harry Potter’s brave and loyal best friend who supported him fiercely in the final battle against Voldemort, as well as killing notorious Death Eaters Lucius Malfoy and Severus Snape. But did he kill as his duty to the wizarding world, or for his own personal gain?

All Aurors are equipped with a license to kill dark wizards with the killing curse if absolutely necessary, and both Malfoy and Snape were confirmed as Death Eaters by former associate Peter Pettigrew, who is currently imprisoned in Azkaban and has given the Ministry valuable information about the activities of Death Eaters in the days of Voldemort.

But here, facts become less certain. Snape was also a confirmed member of the Order of the Phoenix. Although he is best-known for killing Albus Dumbledore, theories as to Snape’s true loyalties have risen over the years.

“Dumbledore trusted Snape, and he was the most brilliant wizard who ever lived,” says Kiren Brockett, spokeswoman for the Students for Snape Association. “It wouldn’t make sense for him to be a Death Eater without Dumbledore knowing it. There’s proof that Dumbledore told Snape to return to the Death Eaters and to kill him, in order to protect the only link between the Death Eaters and the Order. Snape had to have been innocent.”

So Snape may have been innocent. But if he was a Death Eater and Weasley did not know about his secret allegiance to the Order, then he did nothing legally wrong by killing him, right?

“That would be the simple opinion,” says Brockett. “But think about it. If Snape was an Order member, wouldn’t he have done something major in the final battle? Wouldn’t he have turned on the Death Eaters? Many of the Death Eaters were, in fact, injured with the Sectumsempra or other curses that are attributed to Snape, and none of Potter’s Eight sustained these injuries. Ronald Weasley couldn’t have thought Snape was still truly evil at that point.”

It has been pointed out that the Death Eaters that Weasley killed were those against whom he held a particular grudge.

“The Malfoys hated the Weasleys, and the feeling was mutual,” noted a Diagon Alley shopkeeper. “Lucius Malfoy was always cruel to the Weasleys, even purposely allowing Ginny Weasley to become possessed by Lord Voldemort, and it made sense for Ron to want to kill him. Severus Snape was Ron’s teacher for six years, and was often unfair to him. Fenrir Greyback had attacked and disfigured his brother, Bill.

“And Peter Pettigrew, who had masqueraded as Ron’s pet rat for years and caused immeasurable amounts of trouble for his friends and family, was injured by Ron in combat. I hardly think these are all coincidences.”

There is at this time no way to prove whether Severus Snape was innocent or guilty, and the only people who can say whether Snape was killed in self-defense are those who were present at the final battle. Peter Pettigrew, one of the few ex-Death Eaters still alive, was unconscious at the time of Snape’s death and saw none of it. And as for Potter’s Eight, none of them are talking.

“I remember Weasley from school,” says an old acquaintance who wishes to remain anonymous. “He had a temper. He was normally a fairly good-humoured bloke, but he didn’t always think under pressure. I can easily see Snape muttering some comment under his breath and Weasley just turning around and killing him. I mean, he was pretty extreme sometimes. If he didn’t like someone, he hated him. He definitely had it in him to whip out a few killing curses.”

But Angus Williamson feels differently. “I’ve been an Auror since 1993, so I’m one of the oldest in the business, and I’ve seen a lot of Aurors come and go. Weasley’s my supervisor, and he’s really capable, a great strategist and excellent at working together with the rest of the forces. I’m proud to work for him.”

If any new information on the Final Battle against Voldemort is released, the Wizengamot will examine it in regards to the Weasley case. Until then, you decide whether Ronald Weasley did the right thing, and whether he deserves to remain an Auror.


“The git,” snarled Ron, sinking into his chair.

“Well, at least Williamson stuck up for you. Remind me to give him a promotion,” said Harry. He looked worried. “Still, Bellowes does have a way with words…”

Remus, however, seemed calm as usual. “Ron, you can’t be tried twice for the same offense; it’s illegal. You can’t be convicted for something you were acquitted for twenty-three years ago.”

Ron sighed. “That’s just it. I never did go to court. Scrimgeour just told me ‘good job’ and gave me the Albus Dumbledore award, and that was it.”

Everyone instinctively looked over at Emma, expecting her to let off a loud string of profanities and express the way they all felt. But she was oddly pale and silent, her freckles standing out more than usual and her shoulders hunched.

“What’s wrong, Emma?” asked Ted, knowing that if Emma was not behaving in a characteristically feisty manner, something really had to be wrong.

Emma rubbed her arms. “It’s nothing,” she replied uncomfortably. “I’m just worried about my dad’s job, okay? That Hadrian Bellowes bloke is about as big a creep as they come.”

“Are you””

“I SAID, I’M WORRIED ABOUT MY DAD’S JOB!” snapped Emma, standing up in a whirl of wavy hair and fierce eyes. “Are you deaf or something? Sheesh!” She set her fork down and headed up the stairs to Haley’s room, stomping loudly all the way.

Ron shrugged. “Well, at least she cares about her old father,” he said. “And I mean, there’s not much chance that they’ll unearth anything really groundbreaking about Snape anytime soon, so I guess I’m fine. I’m just really mad at Bellowes for sinking my reputation.”

Unfortunately, Ron was wrong. Dead wrong. But he wouldn’t realize this for quite some time.

* * * * * *


Later that day, things were calmer. Ron and Remus Lupin had returned to their respective homes, and Emma seemed a bit more like her usual self, though still rather quieter than usual. It was a bright and clear day outside, so when Haley suggested a shopping trip to London and specifically Diagon Alley, everyone agreed heartily.

The five friends, accompanied by Harry (Ron had offered to take care of Holly and Jonathan, although Harry made him promise not to feed them any cookies) trooped outside to the little-used family car. As they proceeded up the driveway, however, a very tall and skinny girl raced up toward them from the house next door.

“Hi!” she exclaimed. “I just got back from Italy! Where are you going?”

“Just shopping, Giorgi,” replied Ivy. “Nothing special.”

Giorgi (short for Giordan) Anderson was a friend of Jordan’s. They shared a first name and interests in football and computers, but little else. Giorgi was a Muggle, but a highly unusual one in that she knew all about magic and had gone on a magical mission with her wizarding friends the previous year.

She was easily spotted in a crowd, with her ear-length hair freshly dyed a brilliant candy-apple red and her very unique sense of style. On that particular day, she was wearing a sky blue t-shirt decorated with a pattern of flying pigs and a sparkly, bright yellow miniskirt. Her long jacket looked as though she’d stolen it from a military general who had served in the eighteenth century, and her feet were encased in bubblegum-pink galoshes. A pinstriped fedora was perched jauntily atop her head, and her earrings were a large feather and a string of paper clips respectively. All ten of her fingernails were painted to look like ladybugs.

“Shopping? I’ll come, too!” chirped Giorgi, who tended to end her sentences with exclamation points.

Jordan laughed somewhat nervously. “Er, that probably wouldn’t be wise, seeing as we’re going to Diagon Alley, and Muggles aren’t allowed in.”

Giorgi folded her arms and pouted. All of her facial expressions were very distinctive because her triangular face bore a strong resemblance to that of a cartoon character, with big brown eyes, a little dash of a nose, and a wide mouth. “Look, they don’t have to know I’m a Muggle. I’ve always wanted to see that place”can’t I just pretend I go to, like, some wizarding school in Australia or something?”

Jordan was about to reply with a definitive ‘no,’ but an unexpected voice spoke for him.

“You know, I don’t see why not.”

Everyone turned around to gape at Harry, who had just spoken. “Last year, I said Giorgi had to be Obliviated, but you convinced me otherwise. If she could be involved with a magical battle, I can’t see anything wrong with taking her to Diagon Alley.” He turned toward his son. “Just make sure she doesn’t do anything she shouldn’t. You’re responsible, probably more so than I am, so I have full faith in you.”

“Yesss!” exclaimed Giorgi, pumping her fist and causing her countless bangles to jangle.

“What’s the name of the Australian wizarding school, anyway?” Ted asked curiously.
There was a confused silence as everyone scratched their heads.

“Dingo-Bunions?” suggested Giorgi.

Jordan sighed. “Giorgi, if anyone talks to you, just nod and smile. You’re good at it.”

Giorgi replied by doing just that, then stomping on his toes with the force of a jackhammer as everyone piled into the car.

“Shotgun!” called Haley, jumping into the passenger seat before anyone else could claim it. Because the interior of the car was, in fact, magically expanded, the other five could all fit comfortably in the backseat”and as Emma loudly declared, she had no intention of leaving Ted and Ivy alone back there.

Everyone had favourite landmarks that proved they were nearing London, having passed them so many times. When they reached Flip’s Fish and Chips, featuring a statue of a ten-foot fish wearing a bowler hat and a mustache, Emma leaned over across Ted’s lap toward the driver’s seat and honked the car horn loudly. Ted cheered as they passed a small alpaca farm. Haley and Ivy high-fived enthusiastically when they saw a store called “Eraser Mart: The Emporium For All Your Erasing Needs.” And when they finally drove by Abbey Road, Jordan couldn’t help but laugh as four long-haired men crossed the street in front of the car, one of them barefoot.

Finally, they arrived at a small and grubby pub. “This is it!” announced Harry, dropping a few coins of Muggle money into a parking meter.

Giorgi blinked as she stepped out of the car, squinting at all of the store fronts. “This is what?”

“The Leaky Cauldron, duh,” said Emma, smacking her playfully in the head as she made her way toward the pub.

Giorgi shook her head. “I don’t see anything.”

“Oh!” Ted exclaimed. He pointed at the Leaky Cauldron. “I know it looks like I’m pointing at nothing, but it’s the Leaky Cauldron. It’s invisible to Muggles normally… but have you ever, like, read Peter Pan, where the fairies die if you say ‘I don’t believe in fairies’ but if you say ‘I do believe in fairies,’ then they live?”

“Ummm, yeahhh…” said Giorgi, who had absolutely no idea where this was going. All she knew was that six-foot-five werewolf was pointing into thin air, insisting there was something there, and babbling on about fairies.

“Basically, you have to believe that the Leaky Cauldron’s there, and that’s what makes it appear. I know it sounds crazy, but it’s the only way to get in.”

Very rarely in the history of the magical world had Muggles managed to enter the Leaky Cauldron, but it was still technically possible, and Giorgi did have total faith in magic. After a moment of thinking and contemplating and impatient foot-tapping from Emma, she blinked and did a double take. “Whoa! There’s… a pub there!”

“Yep,” replied Harry. “Come on, let’s go through to Diagon Alley. We have to beat rush hour.”

The party proceeded through the dingy pub, where three Aurors sitting and drinking at the bar waved to Harry. “Hey, Potter!” called an Auror with a long ponytail and scarlet robes. “Want to join us in a pint?”

“Can’t, Williamson,” replied Harry. “I’m here as a chaperone for the kids. I’ve got to be a good role model.” Suddenly, his head whipped around. “Did you make sure that mead’s not poisoned?” he barked. “Constant vigilance!”

The three Aurors all laughed heartily, and Harry and company walked out through the backdoor into a small courtyard.

“Hey, can I tap the bricks to get into Diagon Alley?” Haley asked eagerly, pulling her wand from the pocket of her jeans.

“Be my guest,” replied her father, and she, frowning in concentration, prodded several bricks in the wall of the archway with her wand. Instantly, the bricks began to shift and revolve, spreading back and reshuffling to reveal… an archway, leading down into a bright and bustling street. Eccentrically dressed characters strolled amidst shops selling everything from eel eyes to crystal balls, countless owls circled overhead with mail, and roaming vendors carried sweets that made any Muggle confections pale in comparison. Giorgi stared openmouthed, her already wide eyes bugging out in disbelief.

“Phletamgah,” she whispered, apparently tongue-tied by the site.

“What was that?” prompted Ivy.

Giorgi cleared her throat. “I said, I think I just wet myself.”

“Good thing you’re wearing a yellow skirt, then!” chirped Haley as she skipped through the archway and turned to face the rest of the group. “Well, I’m going to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. Who else wants to be cool and come with me?”

“Well, I want to be cool, so I guess I have no choice,” said Emma, and she and her cousin scampered away from the rest of the party, clearly plotting and conspiring as to what sorts of mischief they’d be making that year.

“We’re going to get some robes at Madame Malkin’s, Dad,” Ivy told her father, gesturing toward herself and Ted. “But I don’t know how much they’ll cost, so, er, I might not have brought enough money… is it okay if I borrow some from you later if I didn’t bring enough? I’ll pay you back.”

Harry looked at his watch. “If you need me, I’ll be at the café next to the Quidditch suppliers,” he informed her. “Your mother’s meeting me there. But if you do need some money, you don’t have to pay me back later. It’s all right.”

“Okay, thanks!” Ivy said gratefully having never quite adjusted completely to the fact that the Potters, her parents for the past two years, would gladly do anything for her/

She and Ted headed off for the robe shop and Harry for the café, leaving Giorgi and Jordan still standing by the archway.

“Well,” Jordan said, raising his eyebrows, “what shall we do now?”

Giorgi’s eyes sparkled. “Everything!”

And Jordan being Jordan, he took this request literally. Few things made him happier than having an audience who was actually willing to listen to him relate his extensive knowledge, and since Giorgi wanted to learn as much as possible about magic, they were both very satisfied.

Jordan pointed out buildings and related little known facts (“Apparently, Nearly-Headless Nick’s execution was here… in some crazy family in New Guinea, there’s a tradition that the eldest surviving female of that family has to make a pilgrimage here every year on Nick’s deathday and leave a gift) and Giorgi drank in her surroundings as much as she could and made wisecracks. She also insisted on using a fake (and extremely bad) Australian accent at all times, which caused her to sound more like a Cockney beggar than anything else.

Aside from her strange accent, Giorgi actually blended in surprisingly well with the landscape. In fact, with her seeming lack of knowledge of Muggle clothing, she was less likely to be accused of being a Muggle than Jordan, with his plain Muggle clothes in dark and subdued colours.

By the end of an hour and a half, she had managed to persuade Jordan to buy her a chocolate frog (she was thrilled to learn that it came with a card that featured Albus Dumbledore), some Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans (he managed to trick her into eating a horseradish bean, and she retaliated by force-feeding him two vomits and an earwax), a small book on palmistry (although he informed her vehemently that he didn’t believe in such rubbish), a dragon tooth on a necklace cord, and her very own personalized witch’s hat.

“Giorgi, you do realize that the people at your school will think you belong to a cult if you wear that, correct?” protested Jordan.

Giorgi shrugged. “So what? They already think I’m a freak as it is, so I don’t see what difference one hat’s going to make. And besides, it’s pretty obvious that it’s just a costume. When I wear my pirate hat, nobody ever actually thinks I own a ship.”

“You wear a pirate hat to school?” Jordan asked incredulously.

“Yeah, it’s one of my favourites. My awesomest hat has got to be my Centurion helmet, though.”

Jordan snorted. “You are as strange as they come.”

“I know you are, but what am I?”

“You? They don’t come as strange as you, Giorgi. It would frighten the children.”

“Look who’s talking, mutant!”

It was at this point that their awkward banter was interrupted by a deep, silky, and annoyingly loud voice from behind them. They happened to know this deep, silky, and annoyingly loud voice extremely well. “Oy! J.P.!” yelled the voice. “Who’s the bird?”

The two friends whirled around to face the speaker, although they didn’t have to look to see who he was.

Giorgi planted her hands on her bony hips. “The female you just objectified is me, Giorgi, you twit, Tyrone,” she said, although her big smile gave away the fact that she was obviously not serious. It was hard to dislike Tyrone, although Emma had tried extremely hard to do just that in the past. “And if you keep talking to girls like that, I’m not surprised Emma doesn’t want to go out with you.”

Tyrone Thomas, tall, well-built, and far too handsome for his own good was totally speechless. This was atypical, as he quite liked to draw attention to himself. He was a Beater on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, and had a casual, lazy manner that many girls found attractive”although his feelings were surprisingly easily injured, unbeknownst to most but his closest friends and acquaintances. “G-g-giorgi!” he managed to stammer. “What in the world are you doing here? You’re… you’re a Muggle!”

“Yeah, but that’s never stopped me before,” grinned Giorgi. “What can I say, I love magic. Maybe some day, I’ll tell McGonagall I’m a Squib and, I don’t know, volunteer to work as a janitor or something.”

Tyrone ran a hand through his short black curls, which were shiny with gel as always. “So, Jordan, you brought your Muggle girlfriend into””

“FRIEND!” interrupted both Jordan and Giorgi at once.

Tyrone rolled his eyes nonchalantly. “Whatever. You brought your friend into Diagon Alley without getting caught? I know you’re good, man, but I had no idea you were that good.”

He grinned. He was a very striking-looking young man. His bright white and irritatingly straight teeth contrasted sharply with his creamy dark-brown skin and his long and slanting eyes in their unexpectedly light shade of hazel. He had high cheekbones, well-chiseled features, and a square jaw, and he was the sort of boy who most people desperately wished would wake up one morning with a bad zit on his forehead or unsightly nostril hair to add imperfection to his unnervingly good looks.

“Sooo,” said Tyrone. “If you’re here… is Emma anywhere around? I want to show her something.”

“Yes, Emma’s here,” Jordan confirmed. “Last time I saw her, she and Haley were heading for Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes cackling in a somewhat ominous manner. I suggest you be on your guard if you see either of them, and possibly wear a shield hat.”

Tyrone laughed. “Well, I’ll keep that in mind. See you around.” And with that, he strode off jauntily toward Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes.

When he was out of earshot, Giorgi mentioned, “You know, I don’t think he took you seriously.”

Jordan shook his head. “I hope he realized that I wasn’t being facetious.”

* * * * *


“MWAHAHAHAHA! Welcome to the secret la-bor-atory!” screeched Edwin Reginald Weasley as Haley pushed open the door to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. (The sign on the door said ‘pull’ to confuse first-time customers.)

“It’s hardly a secret, this being the most popular shop in Diagon Alley and all,” pointed out Emma.

Edwin pushed up his goggles onto his sweaty forehead, causing his fuzzy red hair to stick up crazily. “Dad and Uncle George have me mixing some love potions in the back room”no you can’t have a free sample”so I’m all decked out like a mad scientist. Ignore the lab coat, ‘cause these red blotches on it probably aren’t blood.”

Edwin was a good-humoured young man of eighteen who had a summer job at his father’s store. But although he enjoyed pranks, he was a bit more serious than Fred and George”he had been a Prefect and Head Boy at Hogwarts, and his life goal was to own Honeydukes. He was slightly odd-looking with his poodle-like crown of bright red hair and dark skin tone, but he made up for his looks with charisma.

“So Edster, what’s new?” asked Haley, leaning casually against a rack full of very realistic rubber rabid rats that had been enchanted to scuttle about on their own. She suddenly realized this and, with a loud shriek, jumped onto a footstool, looking terrified out of her mind.

“Well, those for starters,” said Edwin, “And while we’re talking about the lowest common denominator of humour, we’ve got toilet seats that you can’t detach from your skin once you’ve sat down unless you say the right password”which is different for each one. We’ve got some candies that make you grow a second tongue and voice box and whatnot”very nice, those, you can have a conversation and interrupt yourself or a sing a duet all by yourself in perfect harmony.”

He moved toward another rack, gesturing like a Vegas magician’s ‘lovely assistant. “And you know seven-league boots? We’ve got some boots that, no matter how big a step you take, you only move forward seven millimeters. I believe these have literally driven several people stark raving bonkers. Oh yeah, and some feather boas that turn into totally harmless live snakes as soon as you put one around your neck. But our best new invention is right here in this box.”

Haley took the box. A label on the side read: Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes Instant Bungee Beans. Allow the eater to fall from heights of up to two hundred feet with no ill effects whatsoever. For the ridiculously brave only. She squinted in thought, her freckled nose wrinkling with concentration. Then, a sunny smile spread across her lips. “I think I’ll buy them.”

Edwin blinked. “You’re kidding, right?”

“No, of course not. I can be ridiculously brave, too, you know!” She slapped some coins into Edwin’s hand and pocketed the box.

Just then, the bell on the door jangled and a person stepped inside.

At precisely that instant, Fred and George leapt from the backroom (also dressed like mad scientists), and all three men shrieked, “MWAHAHAHAHAHA! Welcome to the secret la-bor-atory!”

Tyrone Thomas jumped about two feet into the air.

“Really, for someone who’s supposed to be so cool, you sure get worked up easily,” commented Emma.

Tyrone composed himself. “Er, hi,” he said. “It’s, uh, nice to see you again.”

“Yeah.”

There was a brief and awkward silence. Tyrone coughed, and Emma realized that she had forgotten to blink or breathe. It must have been because she was still worried about her father’s bad news, she decided.

“Had a good summer?” both of them blurted out at once.

Tyrone laughed nervously and flexed his fingers. “Oookay. Well, I bought something cool today, and I want you to be the first to see it.”

“What am I, chopped mandrake?” asked Haley with an exaggerated pout. She hated being left out of anything, and this little conversation was no exception.

“I’m hardly hiding it from you, Haley.” He held up a small, white carton with the proud expression of someone who’d just found the world’s biggest gold nugget ever discovered.

Emma raised an eyebrow, causing her cousin to kick her in the shins. “Wow, Chinese food. Amazing,” she said sarcastically.

“I doubt you’d want to eat this,” replied Tyrone, opening the carton and gently lifting out something small and… alive. “Viola!” he announced. “Meet Fido, my new pet!”

Now Emma couldn’t hold back her laughter. It burst forth in loud, raucous peals, and not just because he’d said ‘Viola’ instead of ‘Voila’. “Tyrone,” she choked, “That is a toad.”

“Yeah, I know,” Tyrone responded fondly, stroking Fido’s warty back.

“You do realize that bringing a toad to school is about the dorkiest thing you can do, aside from, say, pulling your pants up to your chin and singing songs about the digits of pi, right?” She paused. “And just a heads-up, Fido probably won’t turn into a handsome prince if you kiss him.”

Tyrone held up his head with dignity. “Toads have been uncool for so long that it’s about time for them to be cool again. I’m starting a trend here,” he informed her smoothly.

“I like it,” said Haley, feeling a bit like a third wheel in this conversation. She generally thought everything was cute, so it went without saying that she approved of Tyrone’s purchase of the toad.

“Yeah!” Tyrone insisted. “Listen to your cousin, Em.” He cupped Fido in his hands and held him just a few inches away from Emma’s face. “Besides, you have to admit that you love Fido. You can’t help it.”

Emma hesitated. “We-ell… he is sort of cute, in a sort of slimy and gross way,” she admitted. “Kind of like you.”

Fred, George, and Edwin elbowed one another in a manner totally lacking any sort of subtlety whatsoever, Haley dropped a box of ready-made Polyjuice Potion (“just drop in a hair and drink!”), and Tyrone’s eyebrows shot up to his hairline. Emma rather wished that the ground would swallow her. She hadn’t meant to say that”she’d meant to say something else, and it had come out the wrong way. She really wasn’t herself, and she didn’t know why.

“Look,” she explained loudly, “It’s not like you’re ugly, and you know it. Lots of things are cute”koalas, babies, rubber ducks”so what? I mean, Ophidias Malfoy’s good-looking, too, but that doesn’t mean anything.”

Tyrone winked. “Doesn’t matter,” he told Emma. “I take what I can get.” He tipped Fido back into the carton, bowed to Emma, and danced out of the shop.

Emma swore under her breath. “I need food,” she muttered. “Now. Preferably not Chinese.”

* * * * *


“That was interesting,” Ted remarked mildly.

He and Ivy had just watched with some interest as Tyrone Thomas danced by, brandishing a Chinese food carton and calling, “Hey, Ted! Hi, Ivy! TOADS ARE COOL!”

“Well,” said Ivy, changing the subject from the eccentricity of the people around her, “Madame Malkin’s is right over there. Are you just getting new school robes, or dress robes, too?"

"Both," replied Ted, unwrapping a chocolate frog and stuffing it into his mouth. "Believe me, Ivy, you really would not want to be seen at the ball with someone who's got on short robes with these pale, hairy legs sticking out of the bottom."

"Awww," said Ivy, smiling. "I think I would anyway."

Ted squeezed her hand. "Well, you're nice," he said. "But you won't have to, because I am definitely buying dress robes today."

Ivy pulled the door open for Ted, and they stepped into the robe shop, which displayed robes in every colour, fabric, and pattern imaginable. “This school year’s going to be different,” she remarked, “with our N.E.W.T.s level classes and all. It’s the first time we’re going to have different schedules from each other.”

“Yeah,” replied Ted. “And I heard Transfiguration’s especially tough.” He raised his eyebrows. “Though you shouldn’t have any trouble with that, Miss O-plus.”

Ivy blushed again.

Madame Malkin bustled toward them with a measuring tape and scissors, greeting them with a cheery, “Good morning! Now, who should I measure first?”

“Ted can go first,” offered Ivy. “I need to pick out which robes I want, and I haven’t got any taller for years, so you really don’t need to measure me.”

“All-righty, then!” chirped Madame Malkin as Ted climbed up on the stool for measurement. Ted had never found it exactly comfortable to have a levitating tape measure taking his measurements, so he stood atop the stool, feeling slightly ill at ease. When it measured around his neck for his collar size, he couldn’t help but imagine it strangling him and then floating off to find other victims while cackling an evil little tape-measure-y laugh.

“Well!” said Madame Malkin when the tape measure was finished (the measuring having been incident- and strangle-free). “You’re grown four more inches since the last time you bought robes. If you keep growing at this rate, you’ll be my top customer, replacing your robes so often.”

Ted smiled. “If I keep growing at this rate, I’ll be too tall to get in through the shop door in a few years, so I hope this is it for me.” He was very aware of his height, having grown at a truly alarming rate since his fourth year, and didn’t particularly like it when people constantly pointed this out. But Ted being who he was, he was too polite to say anything about it.

“I’ll go get some robes for you,” Madame Malkin said. “Be back in a minute to take them in for you.” And she headed for the rows of school robes, trying to find a set that was long enough for him without swallowing up his skinny frame.

Ivy, too, was perusing the racks of robes, looking for some that suited her. She was just holding up a silky lavender set of robes in consideration when she heard a slight cough behind her and turned around to see to whom she owed the pleasure of possible infection.

Behind her stood a man with eyebrows that resembled a mustache on his forehead and a mustache that resembled two eyebrows above his mouth. He was dressed in a sombre brown cloak and was wearing a bowler hat and a severe and businesslike expression.

“I am Uther Smith-Smythe of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement,” he said importantly. “Are you Ivy Malfoy?”

Ivy shook her head. “No, I’m Ivy Potter.”

Uther Smith-Smythe raised his mustache-like eyebrows. “For the time being, that is,” he said.

Now Ivy was confused. “I’m sorry, sir, but I don’t quite follow you. What do you mean?”

“You are to appear before the Wizengamot in one week,” Uther Smith-Smythe informed her, handing her a fat manila envelope. “Pansy Malfoy has been released from Azkaban prison and is demanding your custody. Good day to you.”

And he tipped his bowler hat and departed briskly, leaving Ivy clutching the envelope with an expression of confused shock on her face.
End Notes:
If you can read this, my reader art challenge is still open! It closes the DAY AFTER this chapter is first posted, so hurry up and get those pictures in! Check the previous chapter for entry guidelines! All entries will be posted on The Crow's Nest.
Chapter 3: In Which Ivy Avoids Attack Chickens, But Not Hadrian Bellowes by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
I totally had way too much fun coming up with the names in this chapter. Pansy's middle name is 'Lacerta,' which is the name of the lizard constellation. Hadrian Bellowes is named after a Roman emperor, hence the middle name Augustus. He took in a future emperor named Antoninus Pius, the name of the scribe. Lampetia Hilcox is named after the giantess who was Helios' daughter and guarded his cattle. Ophidias means 'of or relating to serpents'-- it's a name I thought I made up, but it seems to get a lot of results on google. His middle name is 'Ophiuchus,' which is the constellation called 'the serpent holder.'

Ivy's middle name is Cassiopeia, which is the name of a constellation named after a vain queen. This does not represent her personality, but Pansy's personality in choosing this as a name for her and what her expectations were. However, my favourite name I made up was Draco's! His middle name is never given in canon, so I made it 'Putorius!' That means 'stinky' in Latin, but also, the species name for the ferret is 'mustela putorius.' Oh, the cleverness of me!
_______________________________
The trip to Diagon Alley had ended abruptly after Uther Smith-Smythe’s proclamation, and now everyone was gathered grimly around the dining room table.

“I’m happy here!” Ivy said for the millionth time. “I… I don’t want to just go back to being a Malfoy again!” She looked very frail and vulnerable, hunched over in her chair between Mr. and Mrs. Potter. It was always easy to tell when Ivy was troubled because her expression would turn pinched and her face even paler than usual, and her voice would never rise about a whisper. At the moment, she showed all three of the symptoms.

Haley was crying without shame, her tears splashing onto the official papers from Uther Smith-Smythe in small, salty pools. “How could someone with such a silly name do something so mean! The Wizengamot better not put Pansy Malfoy in charge of you, or else they’ll have ME to deal with!” she exclaimed loudly, brandishing a ceramic kitten. “There’s no way they’ll ever think she’d be better at taking care of you than Mum and Dad.”

“Yes,” Jordan said gravely, “but you have to realize that Mrs. Malfoy was in Azkaban when Ivy was adopted, and she couldn’t give her consent. She didn’t even know her daughter had been adopted until this year, so it’s understandable that she’s a bit upset.”

Ivy sighed. “But why does she even want me around again? She hates me.”

Ginny stroked her daughter’s hair. “Oh, that can’t be true,” she said soothingly. “No one could hate you, especially not the woman who gave birth to you.”

Ivy’s eyes looked hard. “She hated me,” she repeated.

“Look,” Ted told her comfortingly, reaching across the table and taking her hand with one of his ridiculously long arms. “I’m pretty sure the Wizengamot will keep things the way they are. Everyone knows your dad. Besides, you’ll be seventeen in April. It’s, like, less than eight months until you’ll be old enough to live on your own if you want to. Just tell that to the Wizengamot.”

“Yeah,” agreed Emma. “You’re tough when you want to be, seriously. You stick up for yourself. Just keep doing what you’ve been doing.”

Ivy, who had never exactly seen herself as ‘tough,’ gave her friends a watery smile. “Thanks,” she whispered, shaking her fringe out of her eyes. She remembered when she was in her first year, hearing Haley talk about her parents and all of the things that she did with her family, and wishing she could have a family that let her be herself without fear. After spending her first summer with the Potters, she’d constantly wished and dreamed that she could have been a member of their family”she felt more at home than she’d ever felt at her so-called ‘home.’ And now that she was a true member of the Potter family and finally felt like she’d finally adjusted, Pansy wanted to take her away again.

She didn’t sleep that night.

* * * * * *


The day of Ivy’s court appearance, everyone was nervous and neurotic. Jordan isolated himself in his room with the door locked (better that than expose his true emotion seemed to be his logic there), Haley chattered nonstop, Emma wouldn’t stop shouting at anybody who dared speak to her (including a Muggle plumber who accidentally came to their house instead of Giorgi Anderson’s next door), Ted cracked lame jokes, and Ivy herself was totally silent.

She descended the stairs neatly but plainly dressed in a crisp white blouse tucked into a dark blue wool skirt. Her hair was pulled back and braided more tightly than usual, and her bangs were scraped back from her face with barrettes. Her hands were clasped together so tightly that her knuckles were white, her eyes downcast, and her cheeks bloodless.

“Oh, Ives!” exclaimed Haley, running up and hugging her. “Don’t worry, you know nothing’s going to go wrong! I can just feel it. Really! Now, why are you wearing that? You can borrow some of my things if you want. I’m smaller than you, but with skirts, it doesn’t really matter”I mean, I have this pink dress that””

“It’s a court appearance, not Godric’s Hollows’ Next Top Model,” snarled Emma, snatching a piece of candy out of Haley’s hand and eating it.

Ginny set down a plate of food for Ivy, all of her favourite dishes, but she didn’t even touch her breakfast. Her father sat down next to her, sporting the serious expression that he usually wore when he was about to discuss his own past. It was at times like this that Ivy remembered that her father had done much more in his teenaged years than almost anyone accomplished in a lifetime; he usually seemed so energetic and content with his life that it was easy to forget all of the challenges he’d faced.

“I know exactly how you feel,” he said in a low voice. “When I was fifteen, I had to sit before the Wizengamot”definitely not fun”and it was just the same. They wanted me expelled from Hogwarts, and Hogwarts was my home. And I know you don’t want to have to leave your home, either.”

Ivy nodded. “Dad, you’re coming with me, aren’t you?” she asked.

“Are you kidding? Of course I am! I’m testifying.” He smiled, rather sadly. “I don’t want you to leave any more than you do. What, do you think I want to get rid of you?”

Ron looked up from the Potters’ stove, where he was making a futile attempt to cook some bacon. “Harry, if you’re testifying, who’s taking your place in the Wizengamot?” He flicked his wand to help the bacon cook, but his preoccupied mind muddled the nonverbal incantation and transfigured the bacon into evil-smelling green strips of festering dragon meat.

“Hadrian Bellowes, I think,” replied Harry. “I know he’s a git, but he’ll do the job.”

A loud CLANG! resounded throughout the house. Emma had just dropped the pot she’d been washing out, her eyes as wide as those of a hypnotized deer.

Everyone jumped at the sudden noise, and Ron inadvertently flicked his wand and transfigured the dragon bacon into a swarm of live bees.

“Right,” said Ted, jumping to his feet, grabbing the pot full of bees, and setting them free outside before they could hurt anyone. It was a little odd, really, what a close rapport Ted had with animals of any kind. His parents referred to him as the Pied Piper of Hogwarts, and insisted that he could be just as efficient an exterminator, except for the fact that he would rather eat his own liver with fava beans than kill another animal.

Harry checked his watch. “It’s about time for me and Ron to floo to work,” he mentioned as Ted returned with the now-empty frying pan. “Ivy, it’s two hours before you have to be at the courtroom. Do you want to come with us now?”

Ivy nodded silently and stood, smoothing the wrinkles out of her skirt. As she walked past little Holly and Jonathan, they hugged her legs and presented her with a ‘good-luck charm,’ which turned out to be one of Jordan’s old guitar picks strung onto a piece of smelly pink yarn. She suddenly realized how very much she would lose if Mrs. Malfoy won the custody battle, and it frightened her.

The rest of the room seemed to realize the same thing at the same time, because before she knew it, Ivy was buried under a mass of people hugging her and whispering tearful words of encouragement.

“There’s no way you’ll lose!”

“Don’t worry, Ivy.”

“We all love you!”

“Especially Ted!”

“Tell Pansy where to stick that custody arrangement, and give Bellowes a nice swift kick in a soft spot for me, will you?” (That was Emma.)

“Everything’s going to be all right.”

Jordan, who didn’t believe in hugs”any physical contact with people made him feel uncomfortable”looked up at his sister with serious eyes. “I have no doubt,” he said in almost a whisper, wetting his dry lips with his tongue, “that you’ll be allowed to stay here.”

Comforted by these optimistic words from her chronically pessimistic brother, Ivy almost smiled. “I’ll see you soon, I guess,” she whispered. And with that, she took the floo powder down from the fireplace, tossed it into the flames, and disappeared.

She’d been to the Ministry before, but it was still a dazzling sight, preoccupied though she was. A cavernous entry all came spinning into view as she stumbled out of one of the many fireplaces lining the walls, her father and uncle not far behind.

The ceiling was as blue as the sky on a clear and perfect day, but unlike the sky, it sparkled with gold symbols that constantly whirred and spun like a carousel. Countless flickering candles illuminated the dark wood walls; it was a room where everything moved and changed along with the crowds hurrying about its interior.

“You’ll need to register your wand, of course,” her father told her, trying to flatten his hair for a more professional appearance and only succeeding in making it look worse than ever. “They used to just do a background check, but now they won’t let visitors with wands inside any Ministry-run building. Security’s gotten a lot tighter since the Malfoy attack on St. Mungo’s twelve years ago; they…” He seemed to realize exactly who he was speaking to and stopped talking, instead leading her to the security desk where a thin, slightly paranoid-looking man was registering wands.

“Hullo, Chester,” Ron greeted the paranoid-looking man, his voice a little too friendly. “Harry and I are keeping our wands because we work here, but””

“Wands, please,” Chester demanded somewhat shrilly.

Ron laughed rather insincerely. “No, no, we’re Aurors. We need our wands in case there are dark wizards on the loose. Remember when we were talking about it yesterday? And, er, every day for the last twelve years?”

Chester looked both confused and put-out.

“But don’t worry,” Ron added quickly, “because we do have a wand for you to take care of today. Isn’t that right, Ivy? Ivy?” With a bit of prompting from her uncle, Ivy took her wand from her pocket and placed it in Chester’s hand, which immediately closed tightly around the wand like a bear trap. He laid it with extreme care on a vibrating brass instrument, and before long, it spit forth a thin slip of paper. Chester tore it off and squinted at it, his spidery fingers still clutching the wand.

“Ten and a half inches, unicorn hair core, cedar wood, been in use for five years.”

“That’s right,” whispered Ivy.

Chester narrowed his protuberant, twitching eyes. “Of course it is. I’m never wrong.” He attached the slip of paper to the wand and stowed it away in a drawer, which he then locked with a series of nine keys.

“We’ll be back for that later,” said Harry. “Thank you, Chester.” As he led the party of three toward the lifts, he told his daughter, “He’ll take good care of your wand, Ivy.”

Ron guffawed. “Yeah, it’s getting back the wand that’s the trouble.” He hunched his shoulders. “I’m sorry, but he always gives me the creeps.”

“Poor man,” sighed Harry. “Chester Ollivander’s the grandson of the man who made my wand, but when Mr. Ollivander got taken by Death Eaters, Chester basically snapped.”

“Yeah,” put in Ron, “I heard he always wanted to run his family’s wand business, but he couldn’t because he’s a Squib, so he just registers wands now. He’s terrified of magic, of course, seeing as he can’t put up a decent fight or anything.”

“That’s so sad,” sighed Ivy, looking back over her shoulder at Chester. Checking wands all day long, knowing that he’d never be able to use one and constantly living in fear that someone wouldn’t register their wand and would use it to kill him… she felt sorry for the man.

She and the Aurors climbed into a lift that would take them down to Level Two, which held the Department of Magical Law Enforcement (rather handily including both the Auror offices where the men worked and the Wizengamot administration services).

“Normally, cases like child custody aren’t decided by the Wizengamot, of course,” Ron mentioned, “only this is a bit bigger deal than most, seeing as it’s a toss-up between the bloke who saved the wizarding world and a woman whose only contribution to the wizarding world was springing Malfoy out of Azkaban.”

Ivy nodded. A lump rose in her throat”not a sentimental lump, but a cold lump of fear”as it struck her that she’d be facing Pansy and Ophidias Malfoy again. She’d almost forgotten that she’d have to stand in the same room as them in just a few short hours.

As the elevator descended steadily, Harry grumbled, “This case shouldn’t be taking place at all. The Ministry knows better than to let Pansy Malfoy take care of you. And the only reason she’s out of Azkaban at all is Tancred Apple. He always felt sorry for everyone he tried when he was on the Wizengamot, and he always gave them these ridiculously short sentences if they cooperated in court.”

“It’s all good now, though,” said Ron. “I mean, now he’s in Azkaban himself doing a long sentence…”

The golden grilles slid open, allowing the threesome and the others occupying the lift to step out into a hall that led up to a pair of heavy oak doors.

Ivy had never been inside Auror Headquarters before, though she knew Haley, Emma, and Jordan had on several occasions, and she’d always imagined it to be a quiet, dimly-lit place with an air of mystery about it, gleaming and bizarre magical artifacts everywhere the eye could see. But when her father pushed the doors open, she saw a sight completely unlike anything she’d envisioned.

It was early and most of the Aurors had not yet arrived, but even so, the office was bright and noisy and full of people working, talking, and even (in the case of two young Aurors) standing on their desks practicing dueling over the walls that separated their cubicles. It was a very large open room marked by a distinct disorganization”clearly properly-filed paperwork was not a top priority in the Auror office.

As they passed the desktop duelers, one stopped abruptly and pretended to be fixing the ceiling fan, while the other toppled backward off his desk.

“Please, keep dueling!” called Harry. “It’s good practice. Merlin knows this job isn’t about the deskwork.” He helped up the man who had fallen off of the desk, clearly a very new Auror with a scraggly goatee and a few pimples. “Better work on those reflexes, Sipperly,” he added with a smile. “If seeing your own boss made you fall off your desk, I’d hate to see what a couple of dark wizards would do to you. Excellent shield charm, though.”

“Thanks, Mr. Potter,” said Sipperly genuinely, brushing marshmallow fluff off of his robes. It was then that he spotted Ivy for the first time. “Hi,” he said. “Are you his daughter?”

Ivy nodded. “Yes, I am.” For the time being, she added mentally.

“You’re a lucky girl,” grinned Sipperly. “He’s a pretty cool guy.”

“Thanks,” replied Harry. “My son Jordan would tell you a different story, though.”

Right around this time, Ron turned to the Auror still pretending to fix the ceiling fan. “Is that broken again?” he asked. “Funny, I thought we just got it fixed.”

The fan-fixer blinked. “Yeah, well, you know how these things are, they just keep””

Ron flicked his wand and the fan sprung to life, nearly chopping off the man’s fingers. “Aurors are observant people, Mullgrew,” he said, leading Ivy to the other side of the room. It was not the first time Ron had used people’s lack of faith in his intelligence to his advantage.

It was obvious that everyone in the room--especially the Head and Deputy Head of the department”enjoyed their jobs, and approached them with a mixture of enthusiastic playfulness and dedicated seriousness. All of the Aurors seemed to have great respect for their superiors, even those who were older and more experienced.

“Now, see,” said Harry, unlocking the door to a glass-fronted room that branched off from the main Auror Headquarters, “This is the best thing about my job. I get my own office where I can do whatever I want and periodically pop my head out to terrorize the trainees.”

Ron’s office was adjacent to it, and sported some highly blackmail-worthy photos plastered on every square inch available. Most of them featured a chubby baby with inquisitive brown eyes and a halo of reddish curls, usually dressed up as a princess or a fairy or a cat.

“Is that…”

“Yes, that’s Emma,” replied Ron. “I don’t dare put up pictures of her nowadays anymore”last time I tried that, some sick little trainees started falling in love with her, and I didn’t want to have to keep cleaning up all the blood each time that happened.”

Ivy smiled. Emma and her father were highly similar people, which caused them to fight quite a lot, but they also loved each other very much, to the point of violent overprotection. She could just imagine Ron beating up Auror trainees for ogling pictures of his daughter.

“If you think that’s bad, look at this,” added her father, pulling a large photograph from his desk drawer.

The photograph featured four babies between the ages of six months to a little over a year, all dressed in their Christmas best and clustered around one another. The chubby, curly-haired toddler now sat happily in the back, flanked by two scrawny dark-haired babies. The boy had a downy tuft of jet-black hair and wore a grumpy pout that caused his face to wrinkle up like a ham. The girl’s wispy black hair was tied into a ponytail sticking straight out of the crown of her head with a pink ribbon, and she was planting a kiss on the cheek of the smallest of the group, a tiny little boy delightedly smiling a toothless smile that was so big that his light blue eyes were nearly shut.

Harry smiled fondly. “It’s hard to believe that that was almost sixteen years ago,” he said. He pointed to the grinning, toothless baby. “That was Ted, if you can believe it. Back then, being seven months younger than Emma was a big difference. And of course, Ted was born a bit early, so he was always small for his age when he was a baby…that’s a far cry from now, of course.”

A strange feeling passed over Ivy as she realized what a very short time she’d actually known these people. Her four closest friends had been together since birth, had been inseparable their whole lives. She’d only met them five short years before, and she hadn’t even been a member of the family for two years. Unlike the rest of them, she had not watched Ted take his first steps, had not heard Haley’s first words, had not been there when Jordan learned to read or when Emma took to the air with her first broom. There were times when she almost forgot about her life before Hogwarts, and when she remembered, she felt cold and uncomfortable.

“Is there a ladies’ room I can use?” she asked.

Harry nodded. “Use the one down at the end of the hall, though”in the Auror bathrooms, all of the toilets are booby-trapped with different jinxes every day. Encourages constant vigilance.”

“Ah. Thank you.”

It wasn’t long after Ivy had left in search of the ladies’ room that quite a different person swung open the door to Harry’s office, where Ron was also seated and enjoying a cup of coffee.

“Potter, Weasley,” he said curtly, inclining his head full of slicked-back silver hair. He was a short man with cartoonishly wide shoulders, a long, bony face and a long, bony nose that was sharp enough to cut the toughest of steaks. His slitted eyes were very pale blue and as sharp, piercing, and cold as icicles.

“Bellowes,” Ron shot back just as curtly. “I read the news last week. Interesting article.”

Hadrian Bellowes smiled, though there was no warmth in it. “Oh, good,” he replied in a strange sort of low-pitched nasal drawl. “I thought the public might find it enlightening.”

“What brings you here today, Bellowes?” asked Harry, getting to the point as he noticed that Ron’s ears were turning an ominous red.

Bellowes tilted his chin in the air. “To borrow your Wizengamot robes. I will be filling in for you today at the hearing, after all,” he reminded the Head importantly. He then paused and sniffed sharply, causing his long nostrils to inflate to the size of walnuts. “And also to report some unproductive horseplay. Sipperly and Mullgrew are dueling on their desks, causing a dreadful racket and shirking their duties. It’s very childish and unprofessional behaviour, in my”and I’m sure your”opinion.”

“On the contrary,” responded Harry, folding his arms behind his head and resting casually against the back of his chair. “Being an Auror is about combat. I think Sipperly and Mullgrew are using their time very wisely; in fact, I encouraged it.”

Bellowes sniffed again, as though Harry’s office smelled like rotting cabbage. “Well, those are exactly the sort unorthodox training methods that I’ve always found disgraceful. We never had this sort of hullabaloo under Dawlish. He ran a very tight ship, Dawlish. It’s all gone downhill since then, if you ask me.”

“Well, we don’t ask you,” interrupted Ron, picking up a plum-coloured bundle and throwing it at the Auror. “Here are Harry’s robes. Doubt they’ll fit you, but what can you do. Good day.”

“Good day,” Bellowes hissed in tones that strongly suggested that he would love it if Ron had an extremely bad day indeed.

He stormed off, ranting under his breath, “Dueling on desks, loose papers everywhere, bringing children in on field trips, jinxing toilets… I’m going off to find a bathroom without attack chickens, thank you very much…”

“Good riddance,” Ron muttered.

* * * * * *


Ivy was on her return trip from the restrooms and heading back toward Auror headquarters when she accidentally walked directly into a short, bony man who had disproportionately broad shoulders and a disproportionately long, prominently-nosed face. “I’m sorry!” she exclaimed hastily, stepping back.

The man did not respond with a typical ‘that’s quite all right’ or ‘no, no, it was my fault.’ Instead, he narrowed his eyes appraisingly. “Why are you here?” he asked in a smooth, icy voice. “Why are you infiltrating the Auror headquarters? I could have you thrown in Azkaba””

“I’m a visitor!” Ivy explained quickly. “I’m the Head Auror’s daughter.”

“Please, do not try to use your feeble excuses on an Auror,” hissed the man. “I have unfortunately met Harriet-Lily Potter on several occasions, and you are obviously not she.”

Ivy gaped. This was like a bad joke. “I’m not Haley, I’m Ivy!” she explained. “I’m here for a court appearance?”

His expression changed immediately, his thin eyebrows shooting up to his hairline. “Ahhh, the little Malfoy girl. Yes, I will be serving on the Wizengamot today,” he informed her. “I am Hadrian Bellowes. Perhaps you’ve heard of me.”

“Yes, I have,” Ivy said, politely neglecting to mention that none of what she had heard had been good.

Bellowes gave her a thin-lipped smile that did not reach his eyes. “Mmm, I daresay you read my article in the Prophet?”

“I did,” Ivy replied, then paused and added, “Uncle Ron would never kill a person for no good reason. He’s a good person. I mean, he’s got pictures of his daughter all over the walls of his office, and””

Bellowes cut her off, smirking. “Yes, well, that’s hardly defence material for his case. If I am not mistaken, I believe Draco Malfoy made a habit of carrying a photograph of his precious little girl at all times, did he not?”

Ivy’s fingernails bit into her palms. She did not like Hadrian Bellowes one bit, she decided.

* * * * * *


Two hours seemed to fly by like seconds, and before she knew it, Ivy found herself walking toward the Wizengamot office for her nine o’clock court appearance. Her face was deathly pale, her face tight and pinched, and her brow glistening with nervous perspiration, and her hands, too, were clammy as she clenched them together nervously. She didn’t even like speaking in front of her classes to deliver an oral report. To be the focus of a roomful of strange adults was a terrifying concept.

“It’ll all be fine,” her father assured her. He looked strange without his Head Auror badge pinned to his work robes”the badge was now prominently displayed on Ron’s chest back at the office, where he was temporarily filling in as Deputy Head Auror. He took a deep breath. For all his comforting words, his hands were just as clammy as his daughters, and his heartbeat resounded through his ears, sounding unusually fast and loud.

He swung the door open. The room that awaited them was nothing like the austere dungeon that had greeted Harry on his own court appearance in his fifth year; it was much smaller and resembled a waiting room, and the fifty or so members of the Wizengamot sat on a series of benches at eye level. Chairs for Harry and Ivy waited on the left hand side of the room, and two similar chairs on the opposite side of the room were occupied by…

Ivy froze. There were Pansy and Ophidias Malfoy, unchained and unrestrained, not even accompanied by a guard. Mrs. Malfoy looked older and thinner, her sleek dark bob now flecked with grey and her face bare of makeup, but her posture and carriage were as regal and as confident as always.

Ophidias, however, was different. He was hunched over uncomfortably in his chair, looking down at his folded hands. He’d always been a good-looking boy with classic Malfoy colouring, but more strongly built and -featured than his fine-boned father. But now his handsome face looked tired and ill, wearing a curious expression that was somehow both softened and hardened compared to the Ophidias Ivy had known for so long. His previously sleek and lush white-blond hair was buzzed off into a bristly stubble on his scalp, and he was dressed in plain black robes. He looked so different that Ivy had to force herself to stop staring.

As soon as she entered the room, Mrs. Malfoy sprung up from her chair. “Oh, my darling!” she breathed. “What a beautiful young lady you’ve grown into!”

Ivy knew the woman was lying through her magically whitened teeth for the Wizengamot. Not a single day had passed in the fourteen years she’d lived as a Malfoy that Pansy had not made disparaging comments about her appearance”her ‘plain’ face, her tight braid of hair, her overly reserved tastes in clothing.

She sat down next to her father, who squeezed her shoulder anxiously. The gesture made her feel more nervous than comforted.

Her uncle Percy, the Minister of Magic, addressed the room from his seat on the bench. “Without further ado, let us begin, shall we?” He cleared his throat and nodded at a young scribe to begin taking notes.

“Custody case of the twenty-second of August, for the legal parentage of Ivy Cassiopeia Potter, previously Malfoy, of Number Seven, Griffin Circle, Godric’s Hollow. Pansy Lacerta Malfoy versus Harry James Potter, the honourable Uther Malvolio Smith-Smythe presiding, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Other interrogators: Percy Ignatius Weasley, Minister of Magic; Lampetia Alethea Hilcox, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister; Hadrian Augustus Bellowes, Auror Department; and Antoninus Pius Duvall, court scribe.”

Uther Smith-Smythe shuffled his stack of papers. “The child in question, who will be of age in eight months, was legally adopted by Harry and Ginevera Potter two years ago when Mrs. Malfoy was committed to Azkaban prison and unable to care for her. Upon Mrs. Malfoy’s release from prison, she wishes to once more become her daughter’s legal guardian. Correct?”

Pansy got to her feet. “Correct,” she spoke, with the polished and rehearsed air of a woman who had practiced her speech in the mirror until it was absolutely satisfactory. “I was unaware that my little girl had been permanently adopted until last week. I had arranged that should anything happen to me, my children were to fall into the care of Blaise Zabini, and I assumed that imprisonment would merit the same results. Naturally, I was shocked.”

Smith-Smythe glanced over at the senior undersecretary, a striking and powerfully built woman who nonetheless looked all business. “Ms. Hilcox, what was the nature of Mrs. Malfoy’s imprisonment?”

“Mrs. Malfoy aided in her husband’s escape from Azkaban prison. Draco Putorius Malfoy had been given a life sentence for mass murder, but he managed to recruit the Dementors guarding to allow him to escape. Because the prison was guarded by humans as well as Dementors, Mrs. Malfoy distracted the guards by pretending to be a pregnant woman in labour. Previous chief warlock Tancred Llewellyn Apple gave her a sentence of two years.”

Smith-Smythe bobbed his head. “Mrs. Malfoy…”

Pansy stood again. “I know it sounds horrible, but I was distraught! I missed Draco so much. I had no idea that he would start up the Overseers or try to harm anyone!”

“Objection,” said Percy Weasley. “Mrs. Malfoy’s offences have already been discussed in court. Mrs. Malfoy, you may continue.”

Pansy patted her hair. “So really,” she finished up, “Imagine my horror when I learned that my little girl was being cared for by strangers and that these people had been legally named her parents by this court, without informing me. I gave birth to her; I should be allowed to keep her.” She took a seat, doing a very poor job of suppressing her smug expression.

The young scribe continued scribbling down notes, and a brief silence settled over the room.

“Will that be all from you, Mrs. Malfoy?” asked Percy in clipped, business-like tones. Pansy nodded, making a bit of a show of dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief that was emblazoned by the Malfoy family crest. “Then, Mr. Potter, please give your testimony.”

Harry stood up and faced the Wizengamot, meeting their eyes as he began. “The first time I met Ivy, she was a terrified and incredibly shy eleven-year-old who had been invited by my daughter Haley to spend Christmas holiday with our family. She was so nervous and tense, and she never spoke a single word unless she was prompted, and even then she only whispered.


“Although I initially had my doubts about allowing Draco Malfoy’s daughter to visit my house and spend time with my children, I quickly realized that she was a sweet and sensitive girl whose feelings were easily hurt and whose self-esteem was miserably low. The only thing she would ever mention about her family was, ‘my mother hates me.’ She did not want to stay at her own home, and instead spent as much time as possible with my family.

“But she’d been sorted into Gryffindor for a reason, and over the next several years, I watched her grow into a confident, kind, and passionate young woman with excellent manners, a high regard for ethics, and strong moral beliefs. She can even be quite stubborn at times, if you can believe it. The entire household came to view her as one of the family”it’s easy to forget that she hasn’t always been a Potter”and Ginny and I love her just as much as any of our other children.

“Her younger brother and sister, Holly and Jonathan, have known her their whole lives. She was there the day they were born, and she was the first person to hold them after the Healer, Ginny, and myself. She’s also the only one who can get them to stop crying; they seem to like her better than anyone else they know, even their Uncle Ron who lets them eat cookies for breakfast.”

He smiled fondly, and several Wizengamot members’ faces reflected his own. “Ivy’s a very talented girl. She’s intelligent and hardworking and open-minded, and she’s a Prefect and a registered Animagus… in fact, she registered at age fifteen, which is really impressive. Her circle of friends includes two werewolves, a Muggle, and numerous people of less than pure ancestry.

“And you have to wonder, if she had spent all of her adolescent years in a household where her ideas and feelings were suppressed and her views were opposed, would she be the same strong person she is now? Because when she heard that Mrs. Malfoy wanted custody of her, she became that shy, pinch-faced little creature again. I don’t know what her home life was like before”all I could ever coax out of her was ‘my mother hates me.’ But when my daughter’s happy, I’m happy, and I want to keep her as safe and as comfortable as I can. I’ve never for a second regretted taking her in.” He glanced around the assembled Wizengamot once more and took a seat.

Ivy’s eyes swam with tears. It was slightly embarrassing to be spoken of in such glowing terms in front of everyone, but it was also the highest praise she could remember getting. Her dad must have practiced his speech at least as hard as Pansy had, because he’d never been particularly good with words, but he sounded ten times more sincere and genuine, not at all rehearsed.
On the bench, Hadrian Bellowes cleared his throat pompously. “Excuse me, but are the Potters truly acceptable parents? Was it not at the Potters’ house thirteen years ago where a man was murdered on the front porch? In full view of a small child, no less? Was it not at the Potters’ house two years ago where a fourteen-year-old boy was brutally attacked by a werewolf and had to be rushed to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with full-blown lycanthropy?”

Amazingly, Mr. Potter kept his cool. “The man who was killed on the front porch was Fenrir Greyback, who, along with several other former Death Eaters, were attempting to assassinate me. The racket awoke my daughter, Haley, who’s a very light sleeper, as well as Ron Weasley, who lives next door. Naturally, he ran over and tried to get the situation under control, killing Greyback in the process”in self-defence.”

He paused and looked Pansy Malfoy in the eye as he continued. “And as for the werewolf attack, it was ordered by Draco Malfoy. The only other werewolves ever spotted in Godrics’ Hollow are Remus Lupin, a highly respected member of the magical community; Fenrir Greyback on the night of his death; and Ted Lupin himself, the victim of the attack at my house, and a very good friend of my children. There have never been reports of feral werewolves in the woods before. It was outside our control.”

“Well, if you want to keep this girl””

Ivy was tired of hearing people discuss who got to ‘keep’ her, tired of all of this talking about her. Without even realizing what she was doing, she stood up, straight-backed and tall. “Excuse me,” she heard herself say in clear, ringing tones. “Er… I’m nearly of age. Shouldn’t I have a certain amount of say in this?” She couldn’t help but glance over at Mrs. Malfoy, who had gone very near to falling out of her chair.

“When I was small, I was told that Muggles were monsters who would hurt me, and that everyone with Muggle or non-wizarding blood was dangerous. I was told that my father was a hero who accidentally made a mistake and accidentally hurt too many people when he tried to avenge his father’s death by stopping the evil blood traitor who had killed him.

“But when I realized that all ‘Muggle’ meant was someone who couldn’t do magic, and that there were more of them than wizards and just a tiny pool of purebloods, I got confused. I also learned that ‘blood traitors,’ which sounded like such a horrible name to me, were just purebloods who thought of Muggles as… as people. And I decided that if that was all it was, then a blood traitor was what I wanted to be.

“I never said anything about it, not to their faces. I was too afraid to”but I still thought it. And I still do. I just don’t belong in that family. I love being a Potter, and I love my family, and I really don’t want to go back. So that’s just, er, what I had to say.”

She sat down, her cheeks flaming furiously. She was so embarrassed about standing up and relating her feelings and ideas to a room full of so many people. She’d absolutely hated having all of those Wizengamot members staring at her. But she knew that she’d done the right thing, because of the Wizengamot members were mumbling thoughtfully to one another.

At last, Smith-Smythe banged his gavel. “We have come to a verdict,” he announced.

* * * * * *


“Full custody to the Potters! That’s great!” exclaimed Ted that afternoon, giving Ivy a little twirl in the air and kissing her lightly on the end of the nose.

“Ew, PDA!” squawked Haley, who was lying on the floor under the dining room table. She jumped up and gave her sister a hug of her own. “I’m so glad you get to stay with us! Aren’t you? Why do you look so glum?”

Jordan looked up from the book he was reading. “I’m assuming she still has to visit the Malfoys,” he said.

The girl in question’s pale eyebrows furrowed. “Yes… that’s right, how did you know?”

“Knowledge is power,” answered Jordan cryptically, his eyes still not leaving the pages of his book. “It helps to follow Wizengamot cases. There’s all sorts of precedent.”

Ivy sighed. She knew she should have been happy, but the Wizengamot required her to make two weekend visits to Malfoy Manor, one over Christmas holidays and one over Easter holidays. The truth was, she was scared. She didn’t want to be left alone with the Malfoys, fresh out of Azkaban, for an unsupervised weekend. And she had a feeling that the Malfoys would not take too kindly to the fact that she’d been one of the main players in Draco Malfoy’s downfall.
End Notes:
Thanks so much, guys, for submitting to my reader art challenge! You can check out the pictures on the website on my profile-- they're under the "Art" section in a thread called "Schmergo's Reader Art Challenge" or something like that. I'll post the winners with Chapter Four of this story.
Chapter 4: In Which An Old Adversary Slouches Back Onto The Scene by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
I said I'd announce the winners for my Reader Art challenge. I lied. Pweez be patient?

Remember Charybdis Nott? Yeah, unfortunately, her part is much larger in this story. The adversary I was referring to in the title is Ophidias, but Charybdis is worse. We also meet a new OC in this chapter, Tabitha Thomas! She also plays a role in "Pride and Pre-Juiced Plums," so look out for Tabby in that.
Life had settled back into its usual pattern by the time school started up again. Everyone was gathered around Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters, saying their goodbyes to parents and siblings and meeting up with friends.

“I always get so excited when it’s time to go back to school,” remarked Emma. “Then after a few weeks I’m sick of it again and I can’t wait for holidays.”

“I know someone who’s going to have no problem waiting for the winter holidays,” Ted replied quietly, jerking his thumb toward his fellow Prefect.

No one had trouble understanding that. Spending a weekend with the Malfoys was not going to be the best way to celebrate Christmas.

Speaking of unpleasant Slytherins, Charybdis Nott (a sixth-year Slytherin Prefect of whom none of them were very fond) and one of her friends walked by at that moment, speaking loudly enough for all the station to hear.

“”to be so exciting!”

“I know, I can’t believe Ophidias is coming back! I can’t wait to see him again!”

“Wasn’t he supposed to have graduated last year?”

“Yes, but he was in prison all last year, poor thing, so he’s doing his seventh year now.”
Charybdis’s yellowish-amber eyes shone. “This is going to be great.”

Her friend giggled. “So are you going to start going out again?”

“Looks like it!” Charybdis chirped in her small, razor-sharp voice. She, too, was small but razor-sharp, tiny with pointed features and stick-straight light brown hair. “Anyway, it’s great that he’ll be back. Some of those people of inferior birth around here, if you know what I mean, are getting pretty full of themselves. He’ll put them back in their places, stupid Mudbloods. C’mon, let’s go get on the train.”

It was truly disturbing how she could speak of ‘putting Mudbloods in their place,’ with the casual perkiness of a girl discussing boy bands. Ted blinked. “Charybdis Nott has a lot of pretty bad ideas,” he said, “but she does have one thing right. Let’s get on the train.”

He picked up his suitcase and one of Haley’s (a chronic overpacker, this year she’d brought three suitcases and a purse, reaching new heights in sheer volume of luggage) and inclined his head toward the door to the Hogwarts express. “After you, ladies and gents.” And he climbed on to the train after the other four, helping up a little first year who had been knocked over by two of Haley’s enormous suitcases.

Jordan looked at his wristwatch, eyebrows furrowed. “You and Ivy should have already reported to the Prefects’ carriage,” he informed Ted. “You’d better hurry if you don’t want to be in trouble. We’ll remember to save seats for you.”

The Prefects exchanged meaningful glances, both thinking the same thing. Ophidias had been a Prefect. And although he’d been in prison, they’d never known Hogwarts to revoke the status of Prefect before. Even before Ivy had helped the Auror forces apprehend Ophidias and place him in prison, it seemed pretty clear that the two of them had never had a good relationship, from the little that Ted knew about her life with the Malfoys.

Ivy raised her chin resolutely. “There’s no sense in avoiding Ophidias,” she said. “It’s probably best if we can get it over with now. He can’t do any real harm in a carriage full of Prefects.” She smiled nervously and whipped her long blonde braid over her shoulder as she bent to pick up her suitcase.

Ted smiled back, although he, too, was less than eager for a reunion with the boy who had sliced his head open and knocked him unconscious with a very nasty curse in his third year. “Westward ho, then,” he replied, and the two of them marched off toward the Prefects carriage (which was actually to the east).

“They’re so cute,” commented Haley brightly, passing one suitcase each to Jordan and Emma. “Now, we’ve got to find a compartment before there aren’t any left except ones with Slytherins, or first years, or Nelson Blenkinsopp and his pet slugs.”

Emma mimed vomiting. “That’s a great idea,” she replied, shuddering slightly.

They traipsed through the train, peering in compartments as they went in search for somewhere to sit. They couldn’t help but notice as they looked into each compartment that there was an inordinate number of students proudly holding pet toads.

“How does Tyrone do it?” muttered Emma as they passed by another compartment packed with toad owners.

It was not long before they reached the last carriage of the train, still unable to find a seat.

“Let’s sit here,” suggested Emma, gesturing toward a compartment that only contained one person. “It’s nearly empty.”

Jordan looked at his cousin incredulously. “There’s a reason for that. There are slugs oozing all over the windows,” he pointed out rationally. “I’m quite positive you said earlier that you didn’t want to sit with Nelson Blenkinsopp. Besides, there’s a perfectly good compartment right here.”

Emma’s eyes flashed. “Look, I don’t want to sit there. Deal with it.”

“But there’s no one in this one but Tyrone Thomas and some girl,” said Jordan, plainly confused.

Haley, however, was wearing her shrewd face. “Aha!” she exclaimed, eyes sparking with realization. “I see where this is going. You””

Emma stuffed her fingers in her ears. “Blahblahblahblah…”

“How intelligent,” remarked Jordan, with the air of an astrophysicist forced to live in a settlement of pea-brained apes.

Just when it seemed that the three of them would be stuck standing in the aisle and arguing for the rest of the train ride, the door of the compartment adjacent to Jordan flew open. Tyrone was standing in the doorway.

“Emma!” he beamed. “And company.” He was quick to add this last part, knowing that Haley hated to be left out. “Come on in and sit down! We’ve saved seats for you.”

The Potter twins exchanged glances and looked over at their cousin”and they were surprised to see that she was walking toward the compartment. “He may have won this round, but there’s no way he’s beating me in the game,” she hissed out of the corner of her mouth.

It was not often that Haley and Jordan agreed on, well, anything, but at the moment, they were of the same mind”Emma Weasley had gone cuckoo for cockroach clusters. Nevertheless, they all made themselves comfortable in the compartment, settling into seats and taking care not to sit on Fido the toad.

A girl none of them had ever seen before was sitting beside Tyrone, reading a book. When the newcomers to the compartment arrive, she looked up and said, “Hi,” giving them a timid smile that revealed two missing canine teeth.

“This is my little sister,” Tyrone explained proudly, nodding toward the girl. “She’s a first year, and I promised her I’d introduce you.”

“I’m Tabitha,” she said in a soft whisper of a voice. Like her brother, she was quite good-looking, but her features were softer, more generically pretty than striking. Several tight black curls escaped from the thick ponytail trailing down her back, and she had big brown eyes like a doe’s. While Tyrone was tall and strapping and had a charismatic air that commanded attention, Tabitha was very small and blended into the dusty brown seats of the train like a chameleon.

Haley offered the girl some sugar quills, which she declined. “I’m Haley Potter,” she introduced herself. “And the sort of moody-looking bozo with bad hair who’s staring out the window is my twin brother, Jordan. He likes to be called Dr. Stinkface.”

“No he doesn’t!” Jordan exclaimed quickly, glaring at his sister. “Please, try not to listen to anything Haley says, particularly when she’s consumed large amounts of sugar. She’s an extremely bad influence.”

Tabitha giggled quietly.

“Speaking of bad influences,” chipped in Emma, “Your crazy brother’s started some kind of trend. I must have seen hundreds of disgusting toads on my way here.” She narrowed her eyes at Fido, although it was clear that she bore no resentment whatsoever toward the little amphibian. “I’m Emma Weasley, by the way. You’ve probably heard some horror stories about me, and most likely, they’re pretty much all true.”

Tabitha’s eyes widened. “You’re Emma?” She looked rather intimidated.

Tyrone laughed. “I promise I’ve never told her a single horror story about you, but I do talk about you a lot”she asks about you all the time. You’re kind of her hero, I guess. Plus, she likes you ‘cause you’re the only other person who doesn’t like my mustache. Can’t imagine why…”

Emma chose to ignore the ‘mustache’ comment and focused on the fact that she had an eager fan. It was rather ironic, given Tyrone’s status among younger students. “So this is what it’s like to be you,” she mumbled, for some reason unable to look into his face. Maybe the sun was in her eyes, she thought, adjusting the blinds on the window.

“Pretty much, yeah.” Tyrone slung a well-toned arm around her shoulders. “So, Em, what’s new with you?” he asked, changing the subject.

Emma’s body stiffened uncomfortably under his arm. “Nothing much,” she muttered darkly. “Only a git named Hadrian Bellowes wants to get my dad kicked out of his job, and Pansy and Ophidias Malfoy are out of Azkaban, and Ivy has to stay with them for two weekends, and you’re invading my personal space.”

“Whoa, relax,” Tyrone told her. “I’m just being friendly, asking a civil question… invading some civil space…”

Haley knew her cousin’s expression only too well. “You probably shouldn’t put your arm around her anymore,” she suggested brightly, “or there’ll be a civil war.”

Tyrone’s bizarrely expressive eyebrows tilted upward, giving him the sad look of a puppy that had just been called a bad dog. “Sorry,” he mumbled, withdrawing the offending appendage.

Emma couldn’t think of anything at all to say, and much like Tyrone and his toad, she started a bit of a trend; for the next several moments, the train ride was a quiet one. Jordan continued staring out the window, Haley busied herself with some sweets, Tabitha resumed reading her book, and Tyrone directed his attention toward Fido. Emma wished she could be Tabitha’s age again, when she’d hated Tyrone with every fibre of her existence and everything had been so much simpler.

“Look,” she said at last, “I don’t mind, really. It’s just, at least me be the instigator next time, okay?”

And like the sun popping out from behind a cloud, Tyrone’s wide, white grin reappeared in a heartbeat. “Gotcha,” he said. “Though I can’t promise I’ll always stick to that rule.” He paused. “Oh, and by the way? I’m winning this game.”

Jordan had no idea what this game was that Emma and Tyrone kept talking about. But he knew one thing for sure”he was extremely glad that he was not playing it.


* * * * * *


Ted and Ivy were among the last people to enter the Prefects’ carriage, and they felt the uncomfortably sensation of many eyes fixated upon them. They sat down quickly, between the two Ravenclaw sixth year Prefects.

“Right,” announced the Head Girl, a Hufflepuff with whom neither of them were familiar. “I think nearly everyone’s here, so let’s get started. This year, we--”

Her speech was cut off by the sound of the carriage door creaking open, followed by a late arrival. All heads swiveled around to stare at the young man with the solemn black robes and the bowed head covered in short bristles of pale hair. Ophidias Malfoy had entered the carriage.

“Oh…” the Head Girl looked both surprised and somewhat frightened. “Er, take a seat, Malfoy… we’ve already got started.”

Charybdis Nott jumped up from her seat. “Ophidias! Hi!” she squeaked, propelling herself toward him and throwing her arms around him. “School hasn’t been the same without you! Come on, sit down here.”

But Ophidias neither spoke nor followed Charybdis’s instruction. Instead, he sat down on an entirely empty seat and folded his hands, acting as though he had taken absolutely no notice of the younger Slytherin. Charybdis gaped indignantly. This was a change from the Ophidias that Icy had known and tried to put up with for so long, and though it was a welcome change, it was a strange one. The person now sitting in the otherwise empty seat and staring down at his knees looked a lot like Ophidias, but it didn’t act anything like him.

“Well,” said the Head Boy, a stern-looking Ravenclaw, nervously casting a not-so-discreet glance at Ophidias, “Some of you are new here as Prefects, and some of you have heard this lecture before. But as Prefects, it’s your responsibility to be good examples for your respective houses. You’ll have to patrol the corridors on the train to make sure that nothing inappropriate’s going on, and you’ll have to make rounds at the school at night.”

“We won’t keep you for long,” the Head Girl assured them. “If you want to hear a long speech, you’ll have to wait for McGonagall’s after the feast. You already got Prefect information from the letters included with your badges, so there’s not much else you have to do. You’re free to go patrol the halls for a bit”then you can go sit with your friends.”

The other Prefects gratefully rose from their seats, chattering and laughing. There was, however, an exception. Ophidias remained seated, simply handing a folded piece of paper to the Head Boy.

The Ravenclaw scanned it briefly, his face serious. “Malfoy, I understand, but your Head of House specifically stated that he and Professor McGonagall have agreed that you are to continue with your Prefect duties. They’ve said that it will be the best way to teach you about responsibility and to regain respect from your peers.”

Ophidias nodded, resignedly, pulled on his school cloak, and walked flat-footed out of the Prefects’ carriage. As he passed the doorway where Ted and Ivy were still standing and watching, he turned his head and looked them in the eye.

Ivy could have sworn she’d seen him mouth the word ‘sorry,’ but it had to have been simply her imagination.

* * * * * *


“SLYTHERIN!” proclaimed the Sorting Hat, and a spike-haired boy proceeded to the Slytherin table.

“Future Evil of England Society, more like,” Emma whispered under her breath. Haley flicked her tongue like a snake and giggled.

Professor Granger-Weasley looked up from her list of first year names. “Thomas, Tabitha.”

Tyrone stretched his neck to see his little sister over the crowd. Normally, being rather tall, he had no trouble doing this, but at the moment, he was sitting behind Ted, who cramped his style somewhat in this respect. “Hey!” he called, waving his arms and bouncing up and down enthusiastically.

Emma almost expected him to rip off his shirt to reveal the phrase ‘GO TABITHA!’ painted across his chest. Smirking at the image, she watched timid little Tabitha blush dark violet at the spectacle her brother was making.

She let the decrepit hat flop over her eyes, preventing her from seeing the spectacle of her brother holding up Fido over his head to let the toad have a bird’s eye view of the situation. The hat sat there for a moment in silence before the rip in its brim opened wider to announce, “RAVENCLAW!”

The Ravenclaw table burst into cheers, and Tyrone looked stunned. “Ravenclaw? That’s so lame! Now I can’t bug her in the Common Room! And if she makes it onto the Quidditch team next year, I’ll have to play against her!” He paused. “Well, I shouldn’t be too surprised. She was always the bright one”it’s just, my mum and dad were both in Gryffindor, and, I mean, I am, too, so I kind of expected her to do the same.” He sighed and admitted, “I’m gonna miss her.”

As Tyrone leaned out into the aisle and held a hand out to the proud new Ravenclaw for a high-five, Jordan couldn’t help but think how unusual it was that Tyrone and his sister got along so well. He and Haley had always been as different as night and day respectively, and although they could occasionally coexist peacefully, they were usually at one another’s throats. But then again, the Potter twins were apparently similar enough to land in the same Hogwarts house, while the Thomases didn’t even share that. Maybe it was the age difference that kept them from fighting, he mused.

There were only two more students to be sorted”a Phoebus Wilkinshire and an Azalea Yancy”and then McGonagall mounted her podium to give a typical welcoming speech.

After five years of these speeches, Haley could practically recite along with the Headmistress. Prefects would help the first years adjust to the new school. Quidditch try-outs would be held in a few weeks, subjecting even more unsuspecting students to Jordan’s harsh training regimen. A Valentine’s Day Ball would be held that February, on Haley and Jordan’s birthday, as always. The Forbidden Forest was, as always, forbidden, though Haley herself saw this rule as more of a guideline. The caretaker, Andreas Gauge, had banned even more Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes products.

And then, she heard an announcement that made her ears perk right up.

“Finally, this year, every student in the school will need to participate in an Inter-House Unity project. Each of you will be paired with a student from another house, and asked to create a collaborative project of your choosing on the subject of Inter-House Unity. You will receive more information tomorrow from your first-period professors, who will also be determining partner assignments. All projects will be due in April.”

“Ooh!” squealed Haley, reminded of her peer counseling days in her fourth year. “This should be really fun!”

Her twin looked considerably less thrilled. “I loathe group assignments,” he muttered. “No one in my group ever does anything properly, and then I have to do it by myself, and the professors always get upset because no one else participated.”

Emma rolled her eyes and mouthed to Tyrone, “Obsessive-Compulsive Boy strikes again,” though not loud enough for her cousin to hear. If she upset him, he had the power to make her Quidditch training sessions absolute torture.

“I think it sounds great,” chipped in Ted, who always loved working in groups. He was very good at cooperating, compromising, and complementing, but not so much at writing, so he preferred groups to any other type of work. “I like meeting new people. And I, you know, just like the whole idea.”

Emma pulled a face. “Because the Gryffindors and Slytherins will totally be holding hands and singing in perfect harmony together by the end of the project, right?” She snorted. “I think Inter-House Unity’s a lost cause.”

More than one person was prepared to challenge this statement, but they didn’t get a chance. After McGonagall wrapped up her beginning-of-term speech, food began to magically appear on the tables. One startled first year, apparently Muggle-born, actually toppled out of his chair at the sight, to be gently informed of the properties of magical feasts by Ted.

Everyone, even Jordan, agree that choosing Ted to be a Prefect was an inspired choice”his easygoing, down-to-earth manners, and patient thoroughness made him very approachable and a great favourite among younger students. And as an added bonus, he could actually stand the first years, not a common trait.

The students helped themselves to generous helpings of the feast, although Haley barely took anything so as to save room for dessert, by far the most important part of any meal. Emma and Tyrone somehow managed to start a contest for who could create the most disgusting mixture of food and then eat it without vomiting (Tyrone insisted it was good practice for Potions class when challenged by a glaring Jordan), and Ivy reviewed her charms work by enchanting her knife and fork to cut up her food for her. Because everyone was so engaged in their own culinary experiences, it was several minutes before anyone noticed what Ted was up to.

Although he had certainly never been a picky eater (after all, his favourite thing to eat was a bowl of cottage of cottage cheese topped with vegetables, ketchup, and ranch dressing, which repulsed even Tyrone) and his extremely tall frame required large quantities of food to keep it running, he was shoveling down his food unusually quickly.

“What,” demanded Emma, “is your problem?” She eyed his pumpkin juice mustache with disapproval. She was good at eying mustaches with disapproval in general.

Ted shrugged his bony shoulders apologetically and gave her a sheepish smile. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I guess I’ve really got to work on my table manners. It’s just, I’ve been really hungry and thirsty lately. And I’m hoping it’s not another growth spurt, ‘cause I really don’t want to have to duck to get into the Great Hall.”

“You’re sixteen,” Ivy told him sensibly. “Of course you’re always hungry. When Ophidias was”” her voice trailed off. “Well, that’s not important.”

There probably would have been an awkward pause, but instead, the other end of the Gryffindor table burst into cheers as Tyrone swallowed the last bite of his beet-tripe-custard-goat cheese-chocolate-potato-and-pumpkin-juice concoction. He pumped his fist victoriously. “I win,” he grinned, sticking his tongue out at Emma, who groaned.

“Ted, don’t worry about your table manners being bad,” she told her friend, patting his arm comfortingly.

* * * * * *


That night, Haley was cozily curled up in her favourite fuzzy pink armchair in the Common Room. The fire cast a warm, soft glow on her face, and gentle croaking of toads formed a comforting cadence. Her head was bent over a leather-bound book whose pages were blotched with shiny, hot-pink ink. It was a typical scene, a teenaged girl scribbling down the events of the day in her diary.

But this diary was unique. Over forty years before, it had belonged to a girl named Lily Elizabeth Evans, who had cast a charm on it to magically give it the properties of her own personality. The diary, affectionately known as ‘Lee,’ effectively was seventeen-year-old Lily, with her preferences, knowledge, memories, and everything. And this especially interested Haley, because Lily was the long-dead grandmother that she had never known.

“Hey, Lee!” she wrote. “Here I am in the Common Room again, all in one piece!”

“Oh, good,” replied the diary. “Here I was worrying that you’d been pureed. Anything interesting happen yet?”

Haley scratched her chin thoughtfully with her quill. “Well… Ophidias Malfoy is back. I thought I saw him on the train, but I didn’t get a good look at him until I got to the Great Hall. He looks weird.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t really know. I mean, his hair’s all buzzed off, he looks tired and kind of sick, maybe his face is a little bit thinner or something, but that’s not it…” She couldn’t think of the words to describe the change that had come over Ophidias. “He’s just… shrunken. I don’t know, when I was little, I used to get scared when I saw him coming around the corner, but he doesn’t look scary anymore. Actually, he looks kind of scared.”

The page remained smooth, empty, and blank for a moment after these words sank in. But then, Lee’s red-inked words reappeared as usual. “Wow, you really have grown up. Do your friends still get surprised when you do something smart?”

“Oh, yeah. You should’ve seen Jordan’s face when he saw my O.W.L.s. He was all smug because he got straight O’s, and I think he wanted my scores to be really bad so he could hear Dad say, ‘why can’t you be more like your brother?’ and make him feel good or something. But then I got three O’s, and I passed everything, and he looked like someone bashed him in the face with a frying pan.”

“Come on, do you really think Jordan wanted you to fail? Even he’s not that much of a git… at least, not anymore. Wow, I really shouldn’t be saying this about my future grandkids…”

“Lee, he tried to tell everyone that I really only had two O’s because ‘Divination’s not a real subject.’ I’d like to see him take it! He’d probably fail, and then we’d see who’s laughing.”

Talking about school and grades reminded her of the Inter-House Unity project that had been announced earlier that day, and she was surprised that she hadn’t even thought to mention it yet.

“Oh yeah, this year, we’re doing some weird Inter-House Unity project, where we have to work with someone from a different house. It sounds kind of fun to me, but I don’t know how well it’s going to work. Like Emma said, I don’t think Gryffindors and Slytherins will be holding hands and swaying back and forth singing in perfect harmony any time soon.”

“I see what you mean,” replied Lee. “I mean, it’s been about a thousand years since Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor were friends, and even they never forgave each other. I don’t think some project is really going to make the whole school get along again.”

Haley checked the clock. “I should get to bed,” she noted “Classes tomorrow, ick.”

“Well, nighty-night! Hope you get assigned someone cool for your project tomorrow!” wrote Lee.

“Yep. I’ll tell you all about it then!”

And with that, she closed the diary, opened the door to the girls’ dormitory, and was out like an appendix, drifting into peaceful dreams.

But across the Common Room in the boys’ dormitory, a boy tossed and turned in his sleep, his bedclothes damp with sweat and his brain whirling at a thousand miles a second.

For the second time in his life and as many weeks, Jordan Potter was having a very strange dream.
End Notes:
Don't you kiddies go getting any wrong ideas about the end of this chapter now! *stern face* I just reread it and it sounds a little awkward. Just ignore that.

This may be my last chapter for awhile. I'm leaving for New York City to see "The Little Mermaid" on Broadway with one of my friends, and then I'm going to Disney World with my family for a week. Don't worry, though, I should have Chapter Five up soon.
Chapter 5: In Which Professor Zabini Hatches A Diabolical Plan by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Hey, kids. Sorry I haven't updated "Pride and Pre-Juiced Plums" in awhile-- I have two more chapters written, but I got Chapter Six rejected for being a silly goose. I'm not eager to submit it to humour, so I have to find a way to be less of a silly goose so I can get it accepted sometime.

Anywhoo! I went to New York City to see "The Little Mermaid" on Broadway (TWAS AMAZING... CAST WAS EXCELLENT) and then to Disney World. By the way, I got to meet/get an autograph from/get a photo of NORRRRM LEWIS, who plays King Triton in Little Mermaid. He is one of my idols, and I almost wet my pants with glee. Check out his voice on youtube, because it makes my ears vibrate. He has exciting pecs, too.
______________________
Jordan found himself sitting on a stone by the side of a dark, serene lake. The water was so still and reflective that it looked as though a gigantic mirror had fallen from the sky and landed unbroken in the middle of a field. Shady trees and a wide, sweeping lawn stretched around him, and to his right was… Hogwarts castle.

But it was Hogwarts as he’d never seen it before. The stone castle was new, gleaming in the sunlight, nothing like the ancient, near-crumbling building that Jordan knew so well. There was no Quidditch pitch, no crowds of chattering and giggling students, no gamekeeper’s hut or hordes of owls swooping overhead. It was eerily still and quiet. Even the air smelled different.

But after a moment, he realized that he was not the only person on the grounds. Walking slowly and casually from the castle, clearly deep in conversation with one another, was a small clump of four men and women. Jordan squinted and leaned forward, peering at the group as it moved closer. Because the grounds were so empty, he could make out what its members were saying.

“Really, you’re absolutely brilliant,” spoke a very tall and thin man whose pale and bony wrists and ankles protruded from his otherwise beautiful and expensive-looking green robes. His hair was sleek and dark, and a long, thin beard sprouted from his chin. “How do you come up with these things?” As the group came closer, Jordan could see that he had beady black eyes, large ears, and a short, broad nose. The overall impression of his face was that of a shrewd and clever monkey. His voice was soft and slippery, his accents Shakespearean. Although he was not handsome, there was an engaging, charismatic air about him.

The woman next to him smiled, sharp-featured and with brown hair pulled back tightly and covered by her pointed hat. “Well, thank you,” she said courteously. “But really, the only way to settle this argument is to each run our own separate house. I know you too well. If we didn’t come up with some compromise, Godric would throw a fit, Salazar would walk out, Helga would never stop talking about it…” She paused, her light blue eyes gleaming. “And I would be insufferable.”

Jordan did a double-take. Godric? Salazar? Helga? He had to be witnessing first-hand the original Hogwarts founders on the day they made the decision to split into four houses. They all looked much younger than the depictions of them that he’d seen in the past, no older than their mid-thirties, and their eyes shone with fresh enthusiasm.

The man on the other side of the woman who had just spoken had to be Godric Gryffindor. He was, Jordan was surprised to note, shorter than he’d imagined, but well-proportioned and solidly built all the same. Gryffindor wore splendid red-and-gold robes, and his long mane of fiery red hair tumbled to his shoulders. His features were strong and chiseled, but it was his eyes that really stood out. They were a remarkably bright and clear greenish-yellow, so light that they were almost chartreuse.

“Really, Rowena, you have the wisdom of Merlin.”
Rowena Ravenclaw, the brown-haired woman, shook her head vehemently. “Oh, no. There is a difference between cleverness and wisdom. I may know many things, but Merlin understands everything.”

“What do you mean?” asked the only one who had not yet spoken, a small and plump woman with a pleasant, round face framed by long blonde curls. Her brown eyes were wide and curious, and she leaned forward with much rustling of yellow petticoats. She couldn’t be anyone but Helga Hufflepuff.

“He’s not just the most brilliant logical mind of our times,” said Ravenclaw, her voice almost reverent. “He also may just be the most talented Seer the world’s ever known.”

Gryffindor nodded. “Yes, what’s that that they said about him in last week’s Daily Prophet again?”

Slytherin smiled. “You mean, ‘time is no match for him. He experiences the past, predicts the present, and remembers the future?’” He raised an eyebrow, a habit that Jordan knew would drive Haley up the wall had she been there. “But enough fawning over him. Do you think they’ll have sayings like that about us anytime soon?”

“Yes,” replied Hufflepuff, poking him good-naturedly in the side. “They’ll be saying ‘you’re as self-absorbed as Salazar Slytherin.’”

“And it will be a compliment,” Slytherin shot back with a smirk, though it was clear that he meant no harm.

Gryffindor laughed at his friend’s exaggerated arrogance. “Where,” he wondered, “did you find a pump big enough to inflate your head so much?”

The green-robed man opened his mouth to toss back a barbed retort, but he didn’t get a chance, because at that exact moment, there was a faint ‘pop’ and a hooded figure materialized on the grounds before the four friends.

“You know, if this Apparition that Merlin’s invented becomes popular, we should really use an enchantment to prevent people from Apparating in and out of the school when we reopen,” noted Ravenclaw. “Otherwise, skipping classes will be far too easy.”

The hooded figure inclined his head respectfully to the founders, then spoke in a soft, low voice. “I’ve got an important message. Is now a good time?”

“Who sent it?” asked Hufflepuff.

“I did,” replied the hooded figure brightly. “Merlin.”

It was as though he had just announced that he was the Tooth Fairy. The four founders reacted with evident surprise, though Slytherin managed to cover his gasp with a hacking cough. Clearly, they had not anticipated Merlin to arrive anytime soon.

“Oh, don’t be alarmed,” Merlin said warmly. “I’m not bringing a death sentence.” There was a note of amusement in his voice, the slightest hint that he had rather enjoyed his stunned and speechless reception.

Gryffindor was the first to speak. “We apologize, Merlin. We were just surprised to see you because we were just talking about you.”

“Please sit down,” added Ravenclaw. “You can take off your traveling cloak as well; it’s quite warm.”

“If you insist,” Merlin replied. “My robes aren’t in great condition today, but I assure you I mean no disrespect.” It was plain that Merlin and the founders respected one another equally, and treated one another with the pleasant formality that world leaders used when holding conference with one another.

Merlin seated himself on a rock beside the four friends and pulled off his thick traveling cloak to reveal a slightly worn set of dark violet robes and the first glimpse of his face. Jordan almost fell off his own rock when he caught the first glimpse of the renowned wizard’s face, although the four friends were clearly accustomed to his appearance.

Merlin, so often depicted as an old bearded man, was nothing like Jordan had imagined. He was very young, no older than seventeen and most likely a year or two younger, small and slight of build. His skin glowed with youthful energy and a healthy tan, and his broad forehead was smooth and clear beneath long, dark hair. The only clues to the genius intellect inside the boy were his eyes. They were a very dark and opaque green in colour, almost black. His eyes were full of profound intelligence and compassion and, if one looked closely, the haunted look of someone who had seen far too much.

He conjured a plate of biscuits out of thin air and popped one into his mouth, swallowing it in one bite. “I’m sorry,” he apologized sheepishly.

“That’s quite all right,” Hufflepuff assure him, as Slytherin quickly took a biscuit or two from the plate for himself without asking.

“Now, what was that message?” he asked smoothly, accidentally spraying Merlin with biscuit crumbs. Hufflepuff giggled.

Merlin ran his hand through his hair. “Well, I had a vision about you earlier today,” he explained as casually as someone mentioning that he’d eaten some toast for breakfast. His dark eyes turned serious and uncomfortably intense, and his tone dropped. “You must stay together. If… one of you… breaks your new agreement, it will cause a schism that will weaken the wizarding world for over a millennium. By the time it is mended, it will be too late. The four founders must stand together, or, if anything divides you, have reconciled by the time of your deaths. Otherwise, the future will be dark and grim indeed.”

There was a horrible, stiff silence. When recounting his prophecy, Merlin’s voice became strangely deep and immeasurably wise and ancient, as though a force as old as the world itself had filled his young body. The boy himself, however, looked completely comfortably and relaxed”making ominous prophesies had grown routine for him.

“Are you telling us,” Gryffindor said at last in a soft, deadly voice, “that one of us will betray our friends?” His yellow-green eyes smoldered as they darted between his companions.

Merlin shrugged, his face calm. “It’s easy to change the future,” he assured the founders. “Prophecies aren’t totally certain. Humans live by their own choices, not fate. If you stand together like I said, there’s nothing to be afraid of. But if you don’t, well…” His voice trailed off. “Let’s just say I’ll be back to talk with you quite a bit.” He stood up, and gave them a mischievous smile that served as a sudden reminder of his youth.

Ravenclaw’s eyebrows furrowed. “Are you leaving so soon, Merlin? It seems a shame to travel all the way to Scotland and spend such a short time here.”

Merlin pulled the hood of his cloak over his face. “Apparition hardly takes time or trouble, Professor,” he assured her cheerily. “My parents will be wanting me at home. I guess I’ll see you again when I come back to school for next term.”

He turned toward Slytherin and his tone changed. While still light and soft, it seemed forced, overly casual. “Oh, this is completely random, but have I ever mentioned that my parents are Muggles?” And with that, he turned on the spot and vanished into thin air.

Slytherin’s face blanched like a dead fish.

And a thousand years later, so did Jordan Potter’s as his eyes snapped open.

* * * * * *


“What?” shrieked Haley, nearly toppling out of her chair. “This, my friends, is a TAVESTRY!”

“I believe the word you’re mangling there would be ‘travesty,’” replied her brother, who’d been rather quiet and moody since that morning, though this was nothing too unusual. Unlike his sister, he’d always hated early mornings. “And there’s no need to be so dramatic about everything.”

“ARE YOU KIDDING?” wailed Haley, shoving a piece of paper under his nose and brandishing it with such ferocity that she nearly gave him a nasty paper cut on his upper lip. “Look at this schedule! We have N.E.W.T.s Potions first today!”
Emma, who was absolutely not a morning person, and was slumped over face-down on the table and swore under her breath. “How’m I s’posed to pass Zabini’s class if I can’t stay awake?” she demanded.

Ted stopped in mid-bite of his large plate of scrambled eggs. “That’s not the only problem,” he reminded the others. “We’re getting Inter-House Unity project assignments from our first-period teachers. And Zabini doesn’t really like us that much, especially Haley, so who knows how rough he might make that?”

“Well,” said Ivy, “There’s only one way to find out. Let’s go to Potions and get it over with. I mean, we don’t want to get a tardy on our first day of classes.”

The others, even Haley, agreed that this was probably wise, so they gathered their books and bags and proceeded down to the dungeons, still grumbling under their breath.

It was surprising, really, how few students were taking N.E.W.T.s-level Potions. With only twelve of the forty students in their year present, the dungeon seemed even more dark and cavernous than before, swallowing up the small group of students like a dark thundercloud masking a tiny cluster of stars.

The class was deathly silent, as was the habit in Potions classes. One never knew when exactly Zabini would appear from his storeroom, and they had all learned quickly that he usually entered at extremely inopportune moments. (On their first day in their first year, Haley had made a rather awful first impression by standing on her desk and announcing, “Right, well, the teacher’s never gonna show, so I’m filling in today! I’m Professor Haley-poo, and today in Potions, we’re going to mix Fizzing Whizbees and pumpkin fizz and watch it explode! You will be graded on awesomeness!”)

On this particular day, it was not especially long before Zabini made his grand entrance. The door to the storeroom banged open, and Zabini strode out in a whirl of trailing, many-layered robes. A tall and dark man with exotic features and flashing black eyes, his appearance was a dramatic one and his behaviour was no different. He used every inch of his classroom to his advantage like an actor using a stage, and his voice shifted from a barely-audible hiss to a ringing roar unexpectedly, causing everyone to jump.

“N.E.W.T.s Potions,” he proclaimed sharply, pacing catlike, “Is most likely the most difficult class in which you’ll ever enroll. You will find my methods far stricter than ever before, my grading scale harsher. You must all be prepared to work your very hardest.” He came to a sudden stop directly in front of Haley as he spoke these words, one eyebrow lifting slightly in a gesture that made her absolutely shudder with annoyance. After lingering for a moment, he resumed pacing. “For some of you, you will find that this class is not the right one for you. HOWEVER, I do not allow drop-outs, and I accept no excuses.”

He stopped once more, this time at the desk of a long-haired Slytherin Prefect named Anatoly Capshaw. Zabini could not hide his astonishment at the sight of this particular student; Capshaw was truly abysmal at Potions and, although he was a Slytherin, greatly despised by the Professor, who constantly made him an object of ridicule. “Capshaw…” Zabini said in a hoarse whisper.

“Yes, Capshaw,” agreed the boy. “Anatoly, if you like, but that’s a little informal just now.”

There was a collective gasp. Nobody spoke to Zabini that way, especially not a Prefect.

The Professor’s eyes burned, and his upper lip curled. “I do not like your tone,” he hissed.

Capshaw smiled blandly, then spoke in a ridiculously high-pitched voice, “How about this one, then?”

Everyone was too shocked to even think of laughing. What had gotten into this boy? True, he’d always been one to voice aloud his opinions without any particular conversation partner, but he had never so much as smirked at Zabini before, let alone talked back to him. This was House Point suicide, and practiced only by two certain Gryffindor girls.

“Capshaw!” boomed Zabini, his voice rising several decibels in a theatrical crescendo. “You…” He faltered.

Emma suddenly realized the sheer brilliance of Capshaw’s impertinence and almost laughed out loud. Although she still had absolutely no earthly idea as to what had sparked it, it dawned upon her that Capshaw was playing on the fact that Zabini, a major supporter of Slytherin, could not ever bring himself to deduct points from his own house.

“You will serve detention with me tonight, Capshaw,” snapped Zabini, having realized that deducting points was, well, pointless.

Capshaw looked genuinely upset, although his expression was so genuine that it had to be fake. “Professor, I’m a Prefect. I have to do my duties after class. I can only do detentions on Saturdays and Sundays, and I saw the bulletin in the Common Room that said you’d be out on weekends for special business with the Ministry.”

Zabini, for the first time anyone could remember, had been bested at his own game. He had been backed into a corner and had nowhere to go, and he seethed in anger, a vein pulsating in his temple. But no matter how frightening and intimidating he appeared, this did not change the fact that there was nothing he could do to punish the boy.

So he merely changed the subject. “I will need to assess your potion-making skills,” he spoke in a hard, brittle voice. “You will brew Veritaserum, following the instructions exactly”” he flicked his wand and instructions appeared on the chalkboard, “”as found on the chalkboard. I expect N.E.W.T. level results. You will receive Inter-House Unity assignments at the end of class. Begin.”

Around the classroom, everyone began diligently measuring out ingredients, dicing herbs, and pouring out powdered minerals and essential oils. Veritaserum was by far the most difficult and complicated potion that any of them had ever attempted to brew, and it took total concentration.

But after several minutes, Ted felt his concentration slipping away. He was tired, his limbs and eyelids oddly heavy, as he measured out his powdered silver, and his skin itched and tingled uncomfortably. His stomach roared in protest of hunger, and his throat and mouth were as dry as sandpaper, despite the fact that he had breakfast less than fifteen minutes before. He’d brought a bottle of water to class, but had finished it before the bell had rung, and he now felt as though he was stranded in the middle of the desert.

His eyes flickered and his head swayed, and he felt as though he was seeing through a fog. It wasn’t the first time that this had happened, but it was the worst yet, and he felt his head loll back into…

“LUPIN.”

Ted wrenched his eyelids open with a Herculean effort at the sound of Zabini’s cold tones. “I’m sorry, Professor,” he explained, hoarsely and distantly, his tongue feeling swollen and clumsy in his parched mouth. His own voice echoed and reverberate around the inside of his head, sounding strange, hollow, and distorted. “I… really, really don’t feel good. At all.”

He knew Zabini would shove his face up against his own and hiss, “I DO NOT ACCEPT EXCUSES!” and assign his potion a “T,” but he didn’t even care. He just wanted”needed”something to eat and drink and a place to lay down his heavy head. He braced his sleepy body as much as he could for Zabini’s angry reply.

But to his astonishment, Zabini simply picked up the measuring cup of silver filings and said, “You may use the wizards’ room, Mr. Lupin. You’re excused for the remainder of this lesson.”

“Thank you, sir,” Ted gasped, amazed at the normally strict professor’s leniency. He lurched to his unsteady feet, his legs wobbling and bucking like a pair of jelly slugs. He felt Ivy’s hand grasp his wrist.

“Are you all right?” she whispered.

Ted did not know how to respond. He felt absolutely horrible, but he hated to see Ivy worry, especially about him. So he simply replied, “I think I’ll live,” and attempted a smile as he lurched out of the room. The air seemed unusually thick and heavy, as though trying to suffocate him, and gravity seemed to be working at twice its usual effectiveness.

The second he reached the corridor, Ted slid down the wall into a sitting position. He relaxed, taking a deep breath, and found that the air was already clearing, that he felt almost normal again, although his stomach still cried out to be fed and his throat ached with the dryness of a sand dune. He closed his eyes and rested for a few moments, allowing his strength to build up again before pulling himself back up and walking into the bathroom.

He splashed his face with cold water, then, seized with inspiration, contorted his body into a most unusual posture. He bent over halfway at the waist with his head twisted sharply sideways and his neck tilted back, his feet planted widely to support him, and stuck his head under the faucet, allowing his mouth to fill with cold and deliciously wet water. He remained there for several minutes, ignoring the growing crick in his neck as he gulped the steady stream of water like a dog, feeling it slosh into his rumbling stomach.

He suddenly realized exactly what he was doing, twisting like a pretzel to guzzle water from a leaky bathroom sink, and he became very aware of the fact that how he was behaving was not normal. He just hoped it didn’t happen again. He doubted Professor Zabini would treat him with such leniency again.

* * * * * *


A few minutes later, Ted returned to the classroom, looking refreshed and somewhat soggy in the hair department.

“You okay?” whispered Ivy.

“Yeah,” replied Ted. “I just got a little light-headed. It happens to me sometimes.”

The cauldrons of Veritaserum had all been emptied and graded, and Ted’s timing was impeccable”he was just in time for Inter-House Unity assignments, but too late to be criticized for an undoubtedly shoddy potion. (Apparently, Jordan’s had merited a one hundred percent, a fact that surprised no one. Annoyingly, he hadn’t even had to look at the instructions on the board.)

Zabini sat down behind his desk, fixing the class with a hawk-like stare as he shuffled a stack of parchments. “Now, today you will be assigned your partners for your Inter-House Unity projects. I feel it is my duty to inform you of the extreme importance of successfully completing these assignments. Not only will they comprise a large portion of your grades for the year, they have also been devised by your Headmistress to, hopefully, teach a lesson. That said, I expect very high dedication to your work, as I am grading these projects. Tomorrow after dinner, all pairs will meet, but after that initial meeting, you will be left on your own.”

“Why’s he so into Inter-House Unity all of a sudden?” whispered Emma. “Bit hypocritical, really. He hates Gryffindors.”

“Yeah,” replied Haley, “but he also loathes Capshaw, and he’s in Slytherin. Maybe Zabini thinks it’s good to, I don’t know, hate everyone the same or something.”

Zabini’s eyes narrowed at the girls, and they stopped speaking abruptly. “Thank you,” he said coolly. “Now, the assignments. I will read each student’s name and the name, house, and year of their partner.”

He glanced down at his parchment. “Charybdis Nott, you will be working with Antonia Carville, seventh year Ravenclaw. Rupert Daniels, you will be working with Crispinia Fletcher, second year Gryffindor. Jordan Potter, you will be working with Cecilia Longbottom, third year Ravenclaw. Erika Corner, you will be working with Horatius Rodriguez, fifth year Hufflepuff. Antigone Graves, you will be working with Andronicus Yang, sixth year Gryffindor. Theodore Lupin, you will be working with Roran O’ Reilly, sixth year Hufflepuff. Ivy Potter, you will be working with Tabitha Thomas, first year Ravenclaw.”

Ivy smiled. So she was working with Tyrone’s timid little sister? She seemed sweet, and it was a relief to be paired with someone who wasn’t a total stranger. This project would be fun.

“Lucas Aberwyvern, you will be working with Gwon-Jo Choi, second year Slytherin. Emma Weasley, you will be working with Nelson Blenkinsopp, fourth year Hufflepuff. Valencius Twigg, you will be working with Isolde Harper, first year Slytherin.”

A silence settled over the classroom, and Zabini’s eyes seemed to flare up”Haley could imagine him turning them up from ‘medium’ to ‘well-done.’ The room was so silent that one could almost hear a flamingo flap its wings in Cuba. And when Zabini spoke, although barely a whisper, it filled the whole room.

“And Harriet-Lily Potter will be working with Anatoly Capshaw.”

Haley felt her brain flip upside down and her jaw drop to her chest. This couldn’t be! Naturally, the Slytherins were as much a part of the school as the Gryffindors, but all of the other Slytherins had been paired with Hufflepuffs or Ravenclaws; the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin was just too great.

A teacher would have to be either insane, ridiculously idealistic, or sociopathic to pair a Slytherin and a Gryffindor, and Haley was leaning toward the third option. They’d never get along! They’d fail, invariably. And that was exactly what Zabini wanted from his two least-favourite students.

She saw the corners of Zabini’s mouth twitch slightly, almost a smile, and she was filled with a sudden desire to kick the man in the teeth, or maybe another target considerably lower. Instead, she remained seated, her fingernails biting angrily into her desk and her shoulders hunched and trembling with anger.

She’d show Zabini. She’d manage to get a passing grade on her Inter-House Unity project, even if she had to push Capshaw out of a window to do it.

* * * * * *


“I don’t believe it!” fumed Haley, as her friends headed down toward Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Lupin. Her voice was so shrill and loud that her brother had to stuff his fingers in his ears. It was worse than fingernails on a blackboard.

“That’s a totally rotten trick! How could Zabini manage to get that past McGonagall? Here I was hoping I’d get paired with some cute boy, and instead, I get stuck with this, this, this Slytherin!”

Emma shook her head sympathetically. “Well, I’m with that disgusting Nelson Blenkinsopp, so I’m not much better off. If he wants to do our project on slugs, I’m kicking his head to Neptune.” She turned to look at Jordan. “Now, you’re with Cecilia Longbottom? Professor Longbottom’s daughter, right?”

“Yeah,” he confirmed, “Even though her parents are quite close to mine, I can’t remember ever talking to Cecilia, probably because she’s a third year. But I can already tell that it’s going to be a disaster. Her parents are certainly nice, but the fact remains, they’re not all there. And if I have to work with someone with her shirt buttoned wrong and constantly forgetting about meetings, I may just snap.”

Ivy was personally looking forward to working with Tabitha, but she didn’t want to lord the fact that she’d gotten a ‘good’ partner over her friends, so she elected to keep quiet, listening to them chatter about who had been paired with whom. When they passed by the restrooms, Ted mentioned, “I’m going to stop by the bathroom for a minute. You can go to my dad’s class without me”I’ll be right back out.”

Everyone nodded carelessly and continued on, though Ivy privately noted that Ted had just made a stop at the restroom a few minutes earlier. Ted didn’t often complain even in the worst of times, and Ivy hoped he was feeling all right.

All the way through Defense Against the Dark Arts, normally one of Haley’s best subjects, her mind was preoccupied with ways to manage to get a fair grade on her project without actually having to collaborate with Capshaw. In fact, when Professor Lupin called on her to enlighten the class as to what the best method for resisting the Imperius Curse was, she replied, “I swear, I’ll transfer to Durmstrang to get out of the project, goshdarnit!” which wasn’t exactly the correct answer.

But nothing she could plan would excuse her from the meeting she would have to attend with Capshaw the next day. And when this fact sunk in, she realized something. She would need sugar quills to get through this. Lots and lots of sugar quills.
End Notes:
If you're confused about the people in Jordan's dream talking so normally when it takes place like a thousand years ago, remember that it IS a dream, so they'd be using understandable language. I had a dream that took place in Italy, that was supposedly all in Italian, but I don't speak any Italian.
Chapter 6: In Which Anatoly Matches Giorgi In Sheer Eccentricity by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Not a very good chapter title. Hmm. I love Anatoly. A lot more than I thought I would when I started writing this. Must say-- he's very different in this story from in "Pride and Pre-Juiced Plums." That story's set seven years from now, when Ani's much more confident and happy about life in general. He's a bit more edgy in this story. As per usual, I don't own Harry Potter. I wish I did, though. I'd make him be my personal chambermaid and wear fluffy aprons. Jordan would die of shame.
“I hate traffic jams,” muttered Ron, glaring at the long line of people waiting to use the floo network.

He couldn’t wait to get home; he’d had a long, hard day at work, and had twisted his wrist earlier when helping some Aurors-in-training learn to duck properly by throwing random dangerous objects at them. (Of course, this particular activity had come to a halt when Hadrian Bellowes walked by and made note of the fact that Ron obviously enjoyed violence, and wouldn’t that be an interesting supplement to his case.)

Hadrian Bellowes had hated Ron ever since he was automatically promoted to the top of the Auror heap after helping to defeat Voldemort, detested Ron after he’d killed Greyback and Lucius Malfoy in an attack on Harry’s life and was hailed as a national hero, and despised him when he’d gotten to serve as Acting Head Auror during Draco Malfoy’s escape from Azkaban.

But Bellowes had really begun to loathe him that summer, when Ron had related an amusing anecdote to the Daily Prophet about a time when Bellowes had accidentally headed to a scene of crime without noticing that he’d forgotten his trousers at home. After that, most Ministry officials had stopped taking him seriously, and some even called him Bare-legged Bellowes or make comments like, “sure you’ve got those trousers on?” every time they saw him.

True, this would irk anyone, but what Bellowes was trying to do to Ron’s reputation was uncalled for. There was a huge difference between newspapers reporting that you’d gone to work trouser-free and newspapers reporting that you’d killed an innocent man over a schoolboy grudge.

It was finally Ron’s turn in line to step into the flames and return home. He tossed a handful of floo powder into the fire. “Number Nine, Griffin Circle, Godric’s Hollow,” he spoke, and was caught up in the whirl of green light and fireplaces that would transport him home.

He collapsed on a sofa.

In his schooldays, he’d had to worry constantly about Voldemort murdering his friends and family, but things had been simpler back then. Kids had it easy.

* * * * * *


“We have it so rough!” exclaimed Emma. “I just want to get out of school and be an Auror already. My mum’s last Transfiguration class was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, I swear. Did a word of that make sense to you?”

“I understood some of it,” Ted said fairly. “Like when she said, ‘this will be a challenging course’ at the beginning, and when she said, ‘your homework’s a three-foot parchment on human transfiguration.’” He smiled sheepishly, his shaggy hair falling over his eyes.

They would be starting self-transfiguration that year, something about which they were all rather excited, although Ivy was already very experienced in this art. However, it was starting to look like it’d be a lot less fun and a lot more work than they’d anticipated, and the whole concept was particularly daunting for Emma, who typically spent Transfiguration classes passing notes and doodling. But more imminent were the meetings that everyone was required to hold with their Inter-House Unity partners after dinner.

Emma looked at her assignment card, rolling her eyes. “Nelson Blenkinsopp, fourth year Hufflepuff, meet in library.’ I guess I’m lucky it wasn’t in the Care of Magical Creatures area, or I’d be covered in slug slime by the end of the day.

“Ted where are you going to meet Roran O’ Reilly?” asked Ivy. “Tabitha and I are going to be in the Astronomy tower.

Ted glanced down at his card. “Greenhouse Two.” He pulled a face. “So I guess we won’t be able to walk together. Those are as far apart as two classrooms can be. Zabini probably did that on purpose.”

“Still, you’re lucky,” put in Jordan. “I have to go to the Divination classroom… and it’s almost certain that that ancient fraud Professor Trelawney will be hovering over my shoulder, predicting my death every five seconds.”

His twin laughed. “She’s not that bad! Maybe a little bit crazy, but Dad definitely exaggerates a lot when he talks about when he was in school”I mean, seriously, a teacher who made him write in his own blood, and another one who actually did all the Unforgivable Curses in front of the whole class? There’s no way that happened.”

She waved her card in front of her brother’s face. “Looks like we both got a bad deal, Jor-jums. I have to meet Capshaw in your smelly Muggle Studies classroom.” She stuck out her tongue at him.

“Never,” said Jordan seriously, “Call me Jor-jums. Ever. And Muggle Studies happens to be my favourite subject.”

“And Divination’s mine!”

“Yes, well you’re not exactly a top student in anything else.”

“And you’re boring! We should call you Bore-dan!”

“That’s a horrible pun! And you’re obnoxious!”

“What’s that about the Fwooper calling the Augurey feathery, Jor-jums?”

“I specifically ordered you never to call me that!”

“Well, you can’t give me orders. You’re not my Quidditch captain, baby bro.”

“Only because you’re the most dreadful flier I’ve had the misfortune to ever see.”

“Hmph.” Haley couldn’t think of a single retort she could throw back at her brother after that one. She was terrified of heights, and whenever anyone managed to force her onto a broomstick, they immediately regretted doing so. That was one of the many things about Jordan that irritated her. He was good at everything, which made it difficult in insult matches like these.

The twins took advantage of this silence to glare at one another, arms folded.

Ivy cleared her throat. “Erm,” she said, “you really shouldn’t fight like that. Especially when we have to get to our partners in about five minutes.” And as happened so often, she was the voice of reason and sanity. Ivy was quite often the mediator in twin fights, being the only one of the three sixth-year Potter siblings who was exempt from sibling rivalry, and more often than not, people listened when she had a complaint.

The five friends said their goodbyes (or in the case of the twins, made a point of saying nothing to one another) and split off their separate ways to meet up with their project partners.

Jordan drummed his foot on the ground with some irritation. He’d reached the top of the North Tower from what he could tell, but the Divination classroom was nowhere to be seen. He gave out a little snort. This was his sixth year at Hogwarts, and he couldn’t even find his way to a classroom. He checked his wristwatch. He had one minute exactly to meet up with Cecilia Longbottom, and he did not intend to be late. First impressions were lasting, and he always aimed to be punctual.

“The panel above you is a trapdoor. Flick your wand and it’ll open and a ladder will come down,” said a man’s voice from behind him.

“Oh, thank you,” replied Jordan. He drew his wand and flicked it, and sure enough, a thin, spider-webbish ladder came tumbling down toward him.

He turned around to get a look at the person who had informed him as to how to get into the tower, but he was alone. Nobody else was anywhere around. It was a portrait, he realized, rolling his at his own stupidity as he stepped onto the ladder and began to climb. He was so frazzled that he had gotten confused when the portrait spoke, and he’d slipped on the ladder once or twice, which he normally wouldn’t do. But to his relief, he made it in exactly on time, on the dot.

I can see why Haley likes this class so much, was his first thought as he surveyed the classroom with considerable distaste. The room was full of sparkly, gaudy accessories and fluffy chintz armchairs and pouffes clumped in circles, so unlike straight, neat rows of desks that Jordan was used to. A multicoloured, somewhat psychedelic-looking fire burned in the fireplace, and the air was heavily perfumed.

Lumos,” he said flatly, craving the harsh fluorescent lighting of a normal classroom and only succeeding in partly banishing the shadowed darkness of Professor Trelawney’s lair.

His lit wand illuminated a figure seated on a nearby pouffe that he hadn’t noticed before, causing him to jump. She was a plump, sweet-faced girl a few years younger than Jordan, and she had shiny brown hair and wide, round eyes. “I’m Cecilia,” she introduced herself. “You’re Jordan Potter, right?”

“Yes, I am,” replied the boy in question, sitting down in one of the few armchairs that was not patterned with rainbow swirls and patterns. “I can’t stand this classroom. How is anyone supposed to learn in here?”

“Well, they’re not, are they?” laughed Cecilia. “I mean, it’s Divination, not a real subject.”

“Yes, exactly!” Jordan smirked as he flipped open his marbled composition book and got out a standard self-inking quill. He was rather impressed that Cecilia didn’t appear to be as spacey as her parents, though that wasn’t saying much.“We should try and brainstorm a topic for our project. It’s always best to get a head start on these things.”

Cecilia rested her chin on her hand in thought. “What about a research report on the school’s history?”

“Too broad, and too many people will be doing that sort of thing,” countered Jordan. “We have to think of something more original. How about a piece on inter-house rivalries in Quidditch?”

The girl shook her head. “That’s all based on opinion. The important thing is to stick with the facts and reliable sources.”

Jordan blinked. He always found it refreshing to meet someone whose sense of logic was as keen as his own, and even more refreshing to meet someone who didn’t make fun of his style of speech and didn’t waste time on frivolous banter. Maybe this project would be a success after all. “I suppose it’s important to think about whether we want our project to focus on current inter-house relationships or on the original founders,” he said.

“Yeah. Maybe we could sort of combine the two?” suggested Cecilia. “Both of our families go way back on both sides. It shouldn’t be too hard to find some sources.”

This was a very good idea, and Jordan rather wished that he’d come up with it. But this wish didn’t last for long, because just then, an idea came to him, a stroke of genius out of nowhere. “Let’s make a wizarding genealogy, all the way back to the founders!” He smiled, letting his idea sink in. “It’ll be a lot of work, but I’m sure we can manage if we work hard enough between now and April. And I doubt anyone else will think of doing that. It’ll be interesting, because most wizarding families really are all related. That’s Unity, if nothing else.”

Cecilia nodded enthusiastically. “I say we do it. We’ve got nothing to lose.”

These words triggered something strange in the depths of Jordan’s brain. Memories flashed before his eyes in rapid succession.
A gold necklace, a bald-headed figure slumped over on the ground, a wand, the top of a building, a pair of red eyes, Cecilia’s face frozen in a silent scream, and the phrase, “We’ve got nothing to lose,” echoed through his mind.

But… these weren’t memories. They couldn’t be. He’d never spoken to Cecilia until that day, and in his so-called ‘memory,’ her intonation had been different, more serious, her expression grave. Whatever that had been, it wasn’t normal.

“Jordan? Are you all right? You’re not saying anything?” Cecilia was leaning over in her chair, her brown creased slightly with concern.

He snapped back to his senses. “I’m sorry. I’ve, er, had some trouble sleeping lately, and I’m rather tired. I must have been half asleep.”

He’d been having splitting headaches for awhile as well, and his father had assured him that it was just hormones”‘anything that happens to you is bound to be because of hormones at this age.’ Surely the dreams and the weird flashes of images that had just gone through his mind were part of the same thing.

“Well,” he said crisply, “we might as well get a head start on the project.”

Work was his panacea, his remedy for everything” if thoughts of schoolwork filled his head, there was no room left for strange dreams and random mental slideshows. He picked up his quill and began to write.

* * * * * *


The Muggle Studies classroom was entirely empty of living things when Haley arrived, but she saw something she liked about it immediately. “Ooh, spinny chairs!” she squealed, and raced over toward one of the many swivel-chairs and plopped herself in it, twirling around several times.

Her particular chair was delightfully spinny, even more so than the one in her father’s office, and she found it odd that such a marvelous seat had been wasted on a computer chair in a Muggle Studies room. This was where Jordan kept his precious laptop, in the only room in the castle where Muggle technology didn’t go haywire, and Haley had never touched it before. She squinted at the computer’s flat, empty black screen”she really did not get these devices at all”and pushed a random button.

The computer let out a spontaneous, faintly menacing beep.

“Eek! Sorry!” squeaked Haley, and she quickly pushed another button, hoping it did not control a self-destruct mechanism.

Instantly, the screen sprung to life and filled with the image of two purple letters: hp. “Whoa, my initials! These things really are smart!” Haley exclaimed out loud. After a few minutes of goggling at the letters, they melted away to reveal a photo of the Beatles, the image covered with many small icons. At the bottom of the screen sat a flat grey box, reading, “1 UNREAD MESSAGE.”

Haley, feeling immeasurably sophisticated and technologically savvy, wiggled the mouse, which didn’t really look like a mouse (she knew computer terms so well, thanks to all of the droning she’d had to endure from her brother) and clicked on the grey box.

POOF! A letter appeared on the screen, neatly typed and signed by…

“Ooh,” Haley realized suddenly. “It’s one of Giorgi’s letters! How does she get them inside the computer screen, I wonder?”

The letter on the screen read:

To: sgtjpepper@magicworks.co.uk
From: rainbowbrite04@interwebs.co.uk
Subj: Alllooooo!!!

Hi, Jordan!!

It’s the Giorginator again! School’s good for me so far, I guess. No, I’m lying. I hate you. I wish I could go to Hogwarts, too, except not really ‘cause I’d flunk everything for not being able to do any magic. FYI, I despise Trigonometry with a burning passion.

Glad to hear it’s nice up in Och Aye Land!!! That assignment you have to do sounds kind of fun, though for some reason, I can’t really imagine you doing a group project. Slave driving? Yes. Cooperating? Nope, not really.

I like hearing about your school and your life, though really, you did not need to tell me that you’ve been having ‘disturbing dreams most likely caused by hormones,’ in your words. PLEASE talk to your dad about this, or a Human Growth and Development Teacher!! DON’T TELL A GIRL!!!! You will never get babes that way, sicko.

Oh, speaking of babes, guess what I wore to school on the first day? Pshh, you’ll never guess, so I’ll tell you. I had on a long black trenchcoat, a top hat, a cummerbund, a bow tie, ancient blue jeans covered in patches made of my old Lion King bed sheets, pink flip-flops, a lime green t-shirt shirt with Mr. Yuck on it, and earrings made of real, live, eat-able cherries. You can imagine all the looks I got for that.

I love being infamous!!!

Cheers,
GIORGI!!!!


Haley had to giggle. Giorgi was so uncool that she was cool sometimes. And as for her brother, whoa”disturbing hormonal dreams, of all things? She’d been convinced that he was immune to hormones of any kind, just like how he was immune to sounding stupid, forgetting homework, and having an imagination. And he’d honestly told this to a girl?

He may be smart, she thought to herself, but he still has a lot to learn about people.

It was then that the door banged open and a teenaged boy catapulted inside. “Sorry I’m late!” exclaimed Anatoly Capshaw, flinging himself into another spinny chair. “It completely, utterly slipped my mind. I was doing Transfiguration homework, and you know how much fun that is.”

Haley simply nodded. She wanted to at least try being a bit cordial to this boy, even if he was a Slytherin, and that meant that she could hardly say, ‘Oh, yeah, suuure, you forgot. You were doing homework. I bet.’

This was the first time she’d ever really seen Capshaw up close, and it was not exactly something she would have minded missing. He was far from good-looking, with bad posture and worse skin, and he wore rectangular wire-rimmed glasses. His teeth were encased in blue braces, which was odd”hadn’t he heard of tooth-straightening charms? Unlike bad eyes, bad teeth were magically fixable. Haley couldn’t say much about the rest of his facial features, because his distractingly, disfiguringly bad acne kept her from noticing anything in particular about them.

His blond hair fell to his shoulders, and it was clear that he was trying for a cool, rebellious look with his long hair. Unfortunately for Capshaw, however, the long curly ringlets that his hair grew into only succeeded in making him look like an overgrown Little Lord Fauntleroy. And his eyes…

Haley raised her eyebrows. Both of them. “Ummm, you, er, should probably look in the mirror, because I think you forgot to change back after you did your self-transfiguration. One of your eyes is blue, and the other one’s sort of a hazellyish colour.”

Capshaw grinned, displaying his braces. “Nope. I was born like this. And it is, in fact, called heterochromia. Surprise! Granger-Weasley’s probably never noticed, though. I wonder if I could get extra credit from her for this…” his voice trailed off. “You didn’t hear that, though, of course.” He shifted in his seat as silence buzzed around them. “Well,” he said awkwardly, “I’m Anatoly.”

“Yeah, I know,” replied Haley. “I’m Haley.”

“Yeah, I know.” More awkward silence.

Finally, Haley said, “You know, Zabini paired us up for this project just because he hates us and he wants us to fail.”

Capshaw nodded. “Does this mean we should work together, if only to prove him wrong? No offense, but you’re rather predictable. And seeing as I’d gladly eat my own legs off if I knew it would reflect badly on Zabini, I’m all too willing to cooperate, if that’s indeed what you’ve been planning.”

“Yeah, that’s probably a pretty good idea.” Haley twirled around in her spinny chair. “So, uh, Capshaw, what should we do?”

“Anatoly,” the boy corrected her. “Come on, I thought you said ‘yeah, I know,’ two seconds ago when I told you my name. Anatoly’s a much prettier name anyway, don’t you think?” He scratched his pimply chin. “Well, shall we play a happy little ‘getting to know you’ kind of game like you do on the first day of kindergarten? Then you can know how much you’ll have to pretend not to hate me.”

Haley laughed. She was pleasantly surprised that he’d agreed so quickly to at least try to work together. She’d been worried that he would declare it was below him to work with a blood traitor like her and stomp away. “Okay, well, like I said, I’m Haley””

“Hi, Haley!” chorused Anatoly sarcastically.

“”and I’m, ermm, a sugar-holic. No, um, anyway, I love to sing and play pranks and I have a dorky twin brother and I want Zabini to drop dead.”

Anatoly blinked his differently-coloured eyes. “I can’t stand Zabini,” he said quietly. “He’s a completely unfair teacher, and I have no respect at all for him.” He grinned suddenly. “Of course, I bet he practically wet his pants when I got an O on my Potions O.W.L.s!”

“I did, too!” exclaimed Haley. “I mean, I got an O on my O.W.L.s. I didn’t wet my pants. But yeah, by the end of last year, I was working a lot harder than before, so my grades were better, too, but I really had no idea that I’d get an O. I bet Zabini burst a blood vessel or two when he saw that.”

Anatoly’s face turned serious again. He slid between moods so quickly that it was almost disconcerting. “Oh, it was the opposite for me,” he said, his voice almost a growl. “I used to be the sort who tried to make up for having no friends with doing homework all the time and getting good grades. But, I mean, I got sick of being the goody-goody in my fifth year, and I just stopped respecting the people who don’t respect me.”

“What do you mean?” asked Haley, confused.

The boy tapped his braces. “Muggle-born,” he explained leisurely. “I’m the first wizard in the Capshaw clan. Let’s just say that some of the other Slytherins don’t take too kindly to that. Especially Zabini and Charybdis Nott, who in my opinion is basically evil incarnate with a little extra thrown in. But surely you’ve noticed?”

Haley’s brows furrowed. She had honestly never noticed, never guessed that there were Slytherins who didn’t hate Muggles. She thought back to the previous year and vaguely remembered Anatoly apologizing for Charybdis’s behaviour, mentioning a birthday card he’d received from Tancred Apple, always sitting alone, being singled out by Zabini all the time…

“You know, I never did notice,” she admitted. “I just thought…”

“Slytherin?” guessed Anatoly with a smile.

“Yeah, I guess.” Haley squinted. “Er, I guess this is kind of personal, but if you’re Muggle-born, then why are you, you know, in Slytherin?”

Anatoly stood and strode across the room dramatically. “Well, I am cynical, sarcastic, sly, resourceful, self-centred, overly theatrical, resourceful, cunning and crafty.” He paused. “Or maybe I just think snakes are cute, look fabulous in green, and like to sneer. I mean, seriously, have you ever heard of a Gryffindor or a Hufflepuff sneering? Yes, I didn’t think so, either.”

He sat down again, draping his legs over the back of the chair. “Nowhere in the job description does it say I have to be a prejudiced git. Plus, I didn’t know the whole Slytherin stigma when I put on the hat in my first year. I just let the hat do whatever it wanted, so long as I didn’t get lice.”

Haley was shocked. This meeting was turning out vastly different than she’d expected. She suddenly realized what it must be like to be Anatoly Capshaw. The Slytherins all hated him because he was Muggle-born, and everyone else hated him because he was a Slytherin.

“You know,” she said slowly, “I thought this whole Inter-House Unity idea was lame, but it might not be a total waste of time.”

“Yeah,” agreed Anatoly. “Too bad it’s never going to happen.”

“Well, at least we can get along, right? Or try to?” Haley exclaimed, starting to get a little bit too excited. “That’s Inter-House Unity right there, right?”

Anatoly sort of guffawed. “Well, it’s not like I have a reputation to worry about. So, let’s see. Small talk. What’s the most clichéd question I can ask? Ooh--do you like flying?”

“Can’t stand it. I’m terrified of heights.”

“Same here, unfortunately. And even more unfortunately, I found this out the day I tried out for Seeker. There’s an interesting story in there, but I’d rather tear out my innards than relate it right now.”

And somehow, no matter how unlikely, they somehow managed to chatter away, talking and goofing off and playing around with Jordan’s computer. (Anatoly managed to create a background of Zabini’s head stuck on a potato with cartoony arms and legs protruding from the sides. Haley couldn’t wait for Jordan to find it.)

They accomplished absolutely nothing on their Inter-House Unity project, but they accomplished quite a lot for Inter-House Unity.

* * * * * *


“Nelson Blenkinsopp,” Emma proclaimed loudly at breakfast the next day, gesticulating with her fork in a rather haphazard manner, “is a disgusting little freak.”

“Shh, keep your voice down,” Ivy implored. “It would be horrible if he heard you.”

“Well, I don’t care!” roared Emma. “You wouldn’t, either, if you knew what a sick, twisted pervert he is!”

Ivy shook her head. She wasn’t surprised that Emma had not enjoyed her first Inter-House Unity meeting. After all, her cousin was nothing if not competitive, and she played Quidditch”it was only natural for her to think of people from other houses as ‘the enemy.’ And then again, there was the undeniable fact that Nelson Blenkinsopp really was creepy.

“Well, I liked working with Tabitha. She’s cool.”

Tyrone grinned. “Yeah, I know. It’s a family trait.”

Ivy and Emma exchanged glances.

Tyrone blinked endearingly.

The girls cracked up.

“I don’t know why I bother with you people,” the boy muttered. “You’re a bunch of meanies.”

“Well, anyway, it looks like Jordy’s having fun working on his project,” noted Emma, jerking her head toward her cousin. He’s sitting at the end of the table with a stack of books doing research. “On a Saturday, ew.”

She turned to look at Haley, who was usually quite adamant in her declarations of her brother’s weirdness. But her normally loquacious best friend was silent, scribbling something in her diary and glancing over periodically at the Slytherin table.

“Haley, I feel sorry for you,” mentioned Emma. “I almost forgot, you have to work with that Slytherin. That must have been horrible”I mean, he’s not just a Slytherin, he’s also the biggest loser in the school.”

“Yep,” Haley said absentmindedly, taking a sip of pumpkin juice. A glimpse of a head full of long blond curls caught her eye, and she turned to see Anatoly Capshaw walking past her, out into the hallway. He had been standing right behind her.

“Oh,” breathed Ivy. “He heard you.”

Emma shrugged. “So? He’s a Slytherin.”

Haley opened her mouth to say something, but seemed to think better of it and instead put a bite of sausage in her mouth. She had no need to say anything anyway, because just then, a boy zipped into the Great Hall, and skidded over to the Gryffindor table, panting slightly.

“Hi,” Ted greeted the group. “I know, I’m really late for breakfast. Peeves switched all of the portraits in the corridors near Gryffindor tower, and a bunch of the younger kids got lost coming down. I was running up and down the halls all morning pointing people in the right direction.” He swayed slightly on the spot.

Jordan’s head snapped up from his stack of books, and he turned to look up at Ted. “Ted,” he said suddenly, “you’re not well.”

Ted waved his hand dismissively. “I’m okay. Don’t get--”

He froze.

And suddenly, his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed, crumpled on the ground.
End Notes:
Okay, kids! Quicksilver Quills Awards are here! And nothing would mean more to me than being nominated for things... just a hint, all of my OCs would love to be recognized. And my musical spoofs count as the 'poetry' category. And "Pride and Pre-Juiced Plums" counts as an OC romance. Hint. Hint. Anyway, I'm sorry for being a pushy git, but I'm a hopeless narcissist, and I love to fan my ego. And I will be eternally thrilled with anyone with the kindness to nominate me.

Many thanks to Luna_Lovegood11, Tim the Enchanter, and PadfootnPeeves for their beautiful, gorgeous nominations. All three of you are wonderful writers yourselves, and I always enjoy reading your tiggeriffic reviews. I'm not just saying this to suck up, either! Y'all rock!
Chapter 7: That Obligatory Hospital Wing Chapter by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Sorry to keep y'all waiting... I've just started my junior year of high school, and I've been rather busy. After this, updates will be MUCH more regular.
_______________
“Ted!” cried Ivy, jumping up at once, her hands fluttering to her mouth like a pair of albino butterflies. She knelt down on the floor next to him and took his hand tightly, feeling for a pulse. “Please don’t be dead, please don’t be dead,” she whispered, white-lipped and white-knuckled. She would have looked silly if the situation itself were not so decidedly non-silly.

Everyone clustered around them, shocked to see a boy lying unconscious in the middle of the Great Hall, of all places.

“He has a pulse,” Ivy said, relieved, after a moment. “And he’s breathing. But…”

Jordan shoved his way through the circle of onlookers. “We have to take him to the hospital wing,” he stated authoritatively.

“Em and I are the strongest,” Tyrone put in. “We can probably carry him down so my aunt can take a look at him.”

“Good idea,” Emma said quickly.

Jordan looked at her as though she were a three-year-old who had just eaten a jar of paste. “Bad idea,” he said. “Carry him? How ridiculous can you get? Obviously, someone should fetch Madame Patil and bring her here. Then she can bring Ted back to the hospital wing if that’s necessary. There’s no need to lose your heads.”

“Well…” muttered Tyrone, looking somewhat offended. “I’ll go get my aunt then.”

“I’ll go with him,” Emma added. “Get away from Jordan, at least.” Her cousin really did go into control freak mode whenever there was some sort of crisis on hand. If there was something really wrong with Ted, she doubted Jordan’s mood would improve anytime soon.

Haley raised her hand, standing on her tiptoes so that she was visible through the thick crowd of people. “I’ll get Ted’s dad,” she volunteered. “He should definitely know.”

“Good thinking,” her brother agreed. “I’ll go up to the High Table and explain everything to the professors. Ivy, you stay here with Ted. He’s going to want you there if he wakes up.”

Ivy did not need to be told twice”in fact, even if her brother had instructed that she stay away from Ted at all costs, she probably would have completely ignored him. She didn’t budge from here position on the floor, still resolutely holding Ted’s hand and closely watching his shallow breathing.

As Haley scampered off to find Professor Lupin, Tyrone and Emma took the opposite route down to the hospital wing. They walked in silence, more briskly than was customary for either of them. Emma couldn’t help but think about the way Ted had looked just before he’d flopped onto the ground like a deer hit by the Knight Bus. His skin had had this strange, transparent look, a sort of disconcerting delicacy. She could see his veins standing out and the sharp angles of his bones through it. Granted, Ted had been looking more and more like this ever since fourth year, but it had never been so noticeable before. It was surprising that no one seemed to have spotted how sickly Ted looked until then, she thought.

If anything happened to Ted, the school would definitely not be able to function. Ivy in particular would go completely bonkers, and Emma wasn’t completely sure she wanted to see Ivy gone mad, amusing as the idea sounded. Nearly everyone liked Ted and looked up to him, literally and metaphorically, and if Emma was responsible for his untimely demise just because she didn’t fetch Madame Patil quickly enough, she knew she would never be able to live with herself.

“He’ll be fine,” Tyrone said quietly, his deep voice soft and sure. “He just fainted. People faint all the time. He’s got a pulse and he’s breathing and everything, so he’s alive, and that’s what matters.”

Emma gave him a small smile in return. “What, when Ted can’t do it, do you take over his position as Mr. Sunny-Side-Up?”

“No,” Tyrone told her matter-of-factly. “After I learned that my mum, um, went, I passed out, too. Like I said, people do it all the time. It’s a stress thing. I mean, we all just started NEWTs”I wouldn’t be too surprised if that’s what did it.”

Emma was surprised by his honesty. She knew that if she’d ever fainted”falling into a ditch in the Forbidden Forest and whacking her head on a rock didn’t count”she would never tell Tyrone about it. And he was a boy as well, a boy with a reputation. Wouldn’t he want to defend his masculinity as much as possible?

“I don’t think Ted gets stressed out,” she replied. “Maybe Ivy would pass out from too much homework, but Ted’s never had that kind of problem. Even when he got bitten by the werewolf, he was making jokes about it. I think he’s really sick.”

She ran a hand through her hair distractedly. “Do you remember that day in Potions when Ted got really dizzy and Zabini let him go get a drink of water? That was weird. I bet it’s the same thing that’s happening now. And Ivy said he told her it wasn’t the first time he’d felt like that.”

They had reached the hospital wing by now. Presiding over the patients there was Madame Patil, Tyrone’s aunt, and a highly knowledgeable and compassionate Healer who also happened to be extremely, extremely busy. Unsure of the proper procedure for this type of thing, Tyrone took a cautious step through the door.

“Erm… hey!” he called hesitantly.

Without even turning her back from the potion she was pouring out”it wasn’t exactly difficult to recognize Tyrone Thomas solely from his voice”Madame Patil said, “Oh, Tyrone, now’s really not a good time for a visit. Rupert Daniels has come out in boils and Antonia Carville has a nasty stomach flu, and there’s half the Slytherin Quidditch team in here after they crashed during practice with the--”

“We’re not just here for a visit,” Emma spoke up. “Ted Lupin… he passed out at breakfast today. He’s still down there in the Great Hall. There’s something wrong with him.”

Madame Patil quickly set down her potion bottles with much clattering, wiped her hands on her apron, and rushed over to the friends.

“He has a pulse,” Tyrone added helpfully, not knowing much about medicine but wishing to be of use nonetheless. “That means he’s not dead.”

“Er, yes, I know,” his aunt reminded him. “Well, let’s get going.”

Emma nodded with understanding and chucked Tyrone lightly on the shoulder. “Yeah,” she said. “Come on, we should get out of here before we catch whatever that bloke’s got.” She jerked her head over toward a nearby cot, which held a young boy who moaned as he scratched madly at a rather virulent-looking purple rash.

“I’m not stopping you,” Tyrone replied. “Let’s go.”

* * * * * *


Ivy was thinking about Ted. Namely, about how she hadn’t worried nearly enough about him up to this point. After the incident in Zabini’s class and all the other weird little moments Ted had been having lately, she should have put two and two together and realized something was wrong. Did this make her a bad girlfriend? Ted certainly noticed whenever anything was amiss with Ivy. He noticed everything. Maybe if Ivy hadn’t listened to all of his casual, dismissive ‘oh, don’t worry about me, I’m all right’s, this wouldn’t have happened.

She was conscious of all of the eyes watching her watching Ted. She didn’t want to create any sort of melodramatic scene, but she couldn’t just get up and leave his side. The same horrible, morbid thought kept running through her head”what if this next breath was Ted’s last? What if the feeble pulse stopped altogether?

The double doors of the Great Hall burst open with a loud bang, and Ivy looked up, shaken from her paranoid reverie. Trust Tyrone Thomas to make a big entrance.

“It’s okay, guys!” he roared. “Healer’s here! Everyone OUT of the way!”

Everyone complied automatically as Madame Patil made her way forward; even Ivy took a reluctant step backward to watch.

Madame Patil scanned Ted’s body with her wand, listened for his heartbeat, and checked his eyes under his eyelids while his friends stood nearby, their expressions increasingly anxious. At last, Madame Patil looked up. “He’ll be all right,” she announced.

The sort of collective sigh of relief that never actually happens in real life occurred.

“But I’m going to give him a thorough check-up, so he’ll have to come back to the Hospital Wing with me for a bit. I promise Ted will be back to normal before long.” She rolled up her sleeves and conjured a stretcher from thin air, then levitated Ted onto it. It was more than a little eerie watching him float up from the floor to the stretcher, particularly the disconcerting way his arm dangled. Ivy had never seen anyone alive look so much like a corpse.

Ivy followed solemnly as Madame Patil sent the stretcher floating down the hallway to the Hospital Wing. The walk there seemed strangely, agonizingly long, and she never took her eyes off of Ted for a second, hoping that he’d blink his eyes open and give her a big, goofy, reassuring grin.

She looked down at Ted, so lifeless and limp and colourless. With his eyes closed and his face slack, he looked ill and worn-out and strangely frail. Although he always looked tired and drawn to some degree, Ivy normally never noticed because he was always smiling, always vibrant, his light blue eyes always alight with a cheery and energetic spark. Now he was like a chandelier with all the candles blown out”Ted with all of his brightness missing.

Lying flat like this, it was more obvious than ever just how skinny Ted was. He looked as though a single touch would snap him in two, and the effect was more painful than comical-looking.

As they reached the Hospital Wing, Madame Patil held up her hands. “Whoa, Ivy. Where do you think you’re going?”

Ivy was wearing her tight, pinched-looking expression again, the one comprised of equal parts vulnerability and stubbornness. “I’m coming with Ted,” she said in a small, hard voice.

Madame Patil shook her head. “Ivy,” she said patiently, “you can’t be in there during his check-up.”

Ivy didn’t even blink. “I’ll wait outside for him, then.”

Madame Patil put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry, your friend’s in good hands,” she said. “You’ll be able to see him in just a short while.”

Ivy cast a last glance back at Ted’s unconscious body as Madame Patil levitated him from the stretcher to one of the hospital beds, and readied herself for a long, agonizing wait. She hadn’t worried nearly enough about Ted before he’d passed out, and she planned on making up for it now.


Back in the hospital wing, Madame Patil whispered a spell, and Ted’s eyes snapped open immediately, his brain kicking back into gear and his heart rate returning to normal.

He blinked, taking in the hospital wing around him and spluttered weakly, “I’m guessing this isn’t Kansas anymore?”

Madame Patil smiled. “You passed out in the Great Hall during breakfast, and I brought you here. I promise it’ll just be a quick check-up”a certain someone is very anxious to see you.” She pulled on a pair of rubber gloves. “How do you feel?” she asked.

Ted considered the question. “Dizzy,” he replied honestly. “And kind of sleepy… and I have a splitting headache. Other than that, I’m okay enough. I’m really hungry and thirsty, though.” He rubbed his aching head. He remembered feeling lightheaded just before breakfast, but he had no recollection of fainting. Come to that, he had no recollection of anything since then…

“Well, the headache’s from the fall, no doubt,” said the Healer. “It must have been awful when your head hit the ground. But I definitely want to run a few tests.” She thrust a flimsy, powder-blue garment at Ted. “I need to grab some things from the back room. Put this on, and I’ll be back in a flash.”

Speaking of back in a flash, Ted thought, the hospital robes he’d been given could not exactly be recommended for modesty. In addition to being flimsy and powder-blue, they were a bit more revealing then he felt entirely comfortable with. He glanced warily at the inhabitants of the surrounding cots and closed his bed curtains discreetly.

* * * * * *


Haley careened down the corridor, flailing her arms like a windmill in a hurricane and trampling an unsuspecting first year or two in the process. She banged on the door to Professor Lupin’s office eight or nine more times than was necessary, and kicked it twice for good measure. “Professor, open up quick!” she shouted.

The Defence Against the Dark Arts instructor greeted her with a wry smile. “Haley, I didn’t fall for the ‘hurry-Dementors-are-after-me’ trick the last three times. If you want a piece of chocolate, you can always just ask for it.”

“This isn’t about chocolate!” Haley said indignantly, planting her fists on her narrow hips. “Ted passed out in the Great Hall during breakfast.”

Lupin dropped his quill. “What?” he said quietly.

“He just ran in, and we were talking, and then pow! He just collapsed!” Haley explained. “Only you can’t see him yet, because Madame Patil wants to do some tests on him or something to make sure he’s all right. She says he’ll be fine, though.”

“But Ted? Fainting? He’s never had a problem with this before.” The professor’s face was creased with parental concern.

Haley patted Lupin’s shoulder and managed to simultaneously filch a bar of chocolate from his pocket with her dexterous fingers. “He’ll be okay,” she assured him. “I mean, he’s Ted. I bet it’s just one of those twenty-four hour bug things, or someone slipped him a Fainting Fancy.”

Lupin nodded in agreement. “Maybe he’s just feeling a little under the weather,” he said, sounding as though he was trying to convince himself. “After all, there is a full moon coming up.” He paused. “You stole my chocolate bar, didn’t you?”

“No,” Haley said innocently, while taking a blatantly obvious bite of chocolate.

The professor sighed. “Just ask next time,” he told her. “And could you please let me know when I can see my son?”

Haley saluted. “Will do,” she agreed. “Keep you posted, that is. Asking for chocolate takes all the fun out of taking it. I’ll see you!” Lupin shook his head and closed the door as the girl scurried off.

As soon as Lupin was out of earshot, she sighed and her step became noticeably less springy. She really could be a convincing actress when she had to be. She was more worried about Ted than she let on, but she didn’t want to upset Professor Lupin--so many things had happened to his loved ones in the past, and he didn’t deserve any more extra stress.

As she walked down the hall, she saw a gaggle of Slytherin girls strolling by, gossiping and giggling with one another.

“…and so then, that insufferable Potter goes, ‘you’re not well,’ and Lupin just faints right there in the Great Hall!” crowed a pretty blonde girl.

Charybdis Nott tossed her long, straight hair over her shoulder. “Serves him right, werewolf scum. I still can’t believe they made him a Prefect. As if the whole part-human thing weren’t enough he’s an empty-headed, clumsy buffoon. How does McGonagall expect anyone to take that seriously?”

“He looks like some sort of awful stick insect or something,” added a tall girl with a thick, black ponytail. “I don’t know what anyone sees in him, he’s just creepy-looking. And have you seen the way he walks? No class at all!”

Charybdis snorted. “Well, what do you expect? Not that the others in his little group are any better. That goody two-shoes blood traitor girlfriend of his, and that Potter, and that absolute Amazon Weasley. But you know who’s the biggest saddo of the bunch?” She pulled a face and announced in a high-pitched baby voice, “Little Miss Harriet-Lily Potter.”

The blonde girl and the ponytailed girl snorted in agreement as Haley’s hands curled into angry fists. She was standing tucked away in an alcove that made her invisible to the Slytherins, but she could still see them perfectly from where she stood.

“She tries sooo hard to be cool,” continued Charybdis, her voice a malicious drawl. “She just doesn’t get it. I swear, I’d think he was twelve if I didn’t know any better. She might be Harry Potter’s daughter, but no matter what she thinks, no one else thinks she’s ‘cool’.” Her fingers made air quotes around the word ‘cool,’ an aggravating gesture made more aggravating by her words.

Just when Haley was almost ready to stomp out and confront Charybdis, the door to a nearby boy’s bathroom swung open and none other than Anatoly Capshaw strode by.

“Give it a rest, will you?” he demanded. “I happen to think that Haley is, in fact quite cool, cooler than you’ll ever be at least.”

Ponytail girl cackled. “Like you’d know anything about cool. Nice shirt, by the way. It really matches your zits.”

“Nice,” Charybdis complimented her minion, doubled over in laughter.

“Like you’d know anything about nice,” retorted Anatoly and he stalked away, the three Slytherin girls exchanging typically unimpressed expressions.

Haley blinked several times. She felt at once gratified and horrible. Her Inter-House Unity partner had fulfilled his part of the bargain, and he remained appropriately loyal when he heard people talking behind her back. And yet she, the Gryffindor, the member of the house known for bravery and loyalty, had not stood up for Anatoly when Emma had insulted him.

In fact, she’d agreed, however vaguely and absentminded. And Anatoly, although he’d heard was still willing to stick up for her? Haley shook her head. She’d have to make it up to him, sometime soon. But for the time being, she had Professor Lupin’s chocolate to consume.

* * * * * *


Ted felt uncomfortable and exposed in his hospital robes, and he focused his eyes on his bare, skinny legs, swinging back and forth nervously as they dangled off the side of his cot. Madame Patil had finished her examination of him, and her expression was serious, which could not be a particularly good sign.

“Well, I’m surprised you haven’t passed out before today,” she said, shaking her head. “You must have an especially strong constitution.”

This introduction was far from promising. “What do I have?” asked Ted, looking up from his legs and up at the Healer. There was a hint of pity in her eyes, which was even more ominous than the serious expression.

Madame Patil sat down. “Ted, you were bitten by a werewolf when you were on the cusp of adolescence,” she explained slowly. “And the onset of puberty is a difficult enough time for the human body, with so many changing hormones. Werewolves’ bodies go through intense chemical changes in their DNA every full moon, and in the body of a young man who’s going through puberty, things can get muddled up.”

“Like what?” Ted asked cautiously. This certainly wasn’t sounding too good.

“Well, for one, it’s easy to see that you’ve gotten much taller than either of your parents in the past few years. Hormones are very easily affected by these sorts of things, and that’s probably why you grew so quickly. You’ve probably stopped growing by now, so you’ll probably stay at or around six feet, five and a half inches, and that’s nothing important. The real health concern is your pancreas.”

Ted blinked. “My what?” Practically all he knew about pancreases was that people had them, and he didn’t know what they actually did. He only thought about that kind of thing when dicing erkling pancreases for Potions class.

“Well, your pancreas is supposed to make a hormone called insulin, which keeps the sugar in your blood normal. But over the past couple of years, your pancreas has stopped making as much insulin, and sometime in the last few months, practically stopped altogether. That’s why you passed out”and you could have gone into a coma, so consider yourself lucky. The name for this disease is diabetes.”

Diabetes? Ted had heard of that before. It sounded so serious, so final. Ted rarely got sick, and it was a frightening notion to think about the fact that one of his organs was basically broken and wasn’t about to get any better anytime soon. But it was also rather comforting to give a name to the dizzy spells and hunger pangs he’d been having. It was nice to know that he wasn’t just going crazy.

“What can I do?” he asked, poking himself gingerly in the abdomen in the area where he thought his pancreas might be and missing by a good three or four inches. Madame Patil was sounding like a lot like a textbook, and he’d rather know how this would all affect him.

Madame Patil poured a yellowish potion into a glass. “Well, this is the insulin potion. You’ll have to drink it every morning to keep healthy. Now, you’re actually lucky, because you’re a wizard”some diabetic Muggles have to inject themselves with insulin, and prick their finger every now and then to test their blood sugar. The insulin potion takes care of that, though, so you won’t have to worry about needles. You will have to watch what you eat, though, and you have to eat certain amounts of things at certain times of the day. I have a book for diabetic wizarding teenagers somewhere around here that I can give you. You’ll find it very useful.”

Ted let all of this sink in. He had a disease, a disease that was manageable but incurable… well, that wasn’t so different from being a werewolf, and considerably less dramatically life-changing. True, gone were the days when he could just grab a handful of chocolate frogs and wolf them down”no pun intended”at any given time, but this was a small price to pay for feeling healthy and normal again. If all he had to do was drink a potion and watch what he ate, then it couldn’t be all that bad.

“Diabetes, huh?” he said at last. “So, is this why I went all dizzy and weird in Professor Zabini’s class?”

The Healer looked at him closely. “It does explain why you felt so hungry and thirsty,” she said slowly, “but Professor Zabini reported it to me that afternoon, and from what he said, that didn’t just sound like the usual symptoms. There was something more to that. But I’m sure it was just a one-time thing… some of those fumes in Potions class can be really intoxicating. I’ve never approved of having children mixing some of those dangerous potions. You might’ve been allergic to something you were working with?”

Ted nodded. “Well,” he said, “this is a relief. Now I won’t have to worry about fainting in embarrassing places. Here I was worried I’d pass out on the toilet or giving a report or something, just swooning all over the place like some weird guy version of Scarlett O’ Hara.”

“You really are an optimist, aren’t you?” Madame Patil laughed, shaking her head.

Ted smiled. “Emma calls me ‘Mr. Sunny-Side-Up,” he responded cheerily. “Oh, and while we’re talking about breakfast foods, if it’s not too much trouble, can I have something to eat?” From the sounds of it, someone had tickled a sleeping dragon inside his stomach. He was ravenously hungry.

“Oh, of course! I forgot you hadn’t had any breakfast yet!” cried Madame Patil. “Drink your potion”you’ll feel much better”and I’ll find you something that you can eat. After that, you should rest for an hour or two and get your strength back up, but after that, feel free to do whatever you’d like. Just pop by every morning for your potion.”

Ted settled back onto his pillow and picked up the glass of potion. “Thanks, Madame Patil,” he said. He paused. “Erm… one more question, if that’s all right.”

“I’m sure you have lots of questions. After all, you’ve just been diagnosed with diabetes. Ask away.”

The boy smiled sheepishly. “Erm… actually, I was wondering… is it okay for me to put some pants on now?”

* * * * * *


“Diabetes?” squawked Emma. “Isn’t that a disease fat old people get?”

Ted shrugged. “That’s Type 2, but yeah, I have Type 1. I didn’t know kids could get it, either.”

He and his friends were sitting in the Common Room, the others listening to explain what had caused his fainting spell earlier that day.”

Ivy sighed. “Why does everything bad happen to you?” she asked.

“What do you mean?” Ted replied brightly. “I’m usually pretty lucky. It’s you I worry about.”

“Well, you don’t worry enough about yourself,” said Ivy.

“Then it’s a good thing you’re so good at doing it for me,” Ted replied. “Madame Patil told me you were ‘impossible’ after I passed out. Wish I was awake to see it.”

“Sickening cuteness aside, people,” chirped Haley, “It’s basically just a relief that Ted’s okay.” She gave him a light, sisterly hug. “Oh yeah, and can you believe we have Apparition lessons coming up soon, after our next Transfiguration class? I can’t wait to just, you know, go POOF!”

Jordan raised his eyebrows. “Your ridiculously short attention span never ceases to amaze me,” he stated. “But I am looking forward to that. It’s so much more convenient than floo powder or broomsticks or a Portkey, even if there is the chance that you can leave your legs behind.”

And with that, the conversation veered off toward the subject of magical transportation, and, although Ivy still looked wistful, the topic of Ted’s health was dropped. And since this was the way Ted liked it, he joined in with gusto.

Everyone was looking forward to their first chance at learning to Apparate, and it would have preoccupied them were it not for the necessity of paying attention in their difficult N.E.W.T.s level classes.

Professor Granger-Weasley certain did not let the students off easy with their last class before their Apparition lesson. As if actually practicing self-transfiguration on the colour of their hair was not difficult enough, the second half of the period was to be spent taking a written test on the properties of self-transfiguration”making it easily the most difficult class period so far that year.

Haley studied her face contemplatively in the mirror. “Emma, do you think I look good with pink eyebrows?” she asked dreamily.

“Absolutely stunning,” her friend replied, her voice so earnest that she could only be joking. “But nowhere near as ravishing as me and my lime green eyelashes.” She batted said eyelashes coquettishly, admiring the effect that they had on her appearance, namely clashing hideously with her red-brown hair.

Two desks over, Ivy had put a rather fetching black streak in her hair, which contrasted nicely with the rest of her fair braid, and next to her, Ted was sporting one orange and one purple eyebrow and waggling them in a decidedly strange manner. The overall effect was so weird that Haley didn’t even bother bopping her friend in the head as punishment for raising one eyebrow.

Behind him, Jordan, overachiever that he was had managed to turn the whole of his hair a Giorgi-like shade of candy apple red, and an aerial view of his head showed that gold letters charmed onto his head spelled out, “GRYFFINDOR QUIDDITCH FOR THE CUP!” For this, Professor Granger-Weasley actually awarded fifteen points to Gryffindor, which, as his sister pointed out, marked the first and only time that Jordan received positive recognition for his hair, which she usually considered to be the worst hair in the school.

Emma would have laughed at Haley’s comment, but she was distracted, as most would be, by an incessant jabbing between her shoulder blades. “What?” she demanded, turning around.

In the desk behind her, Tyrone was grinning like a Cheshire cat, and above that grin, the downy hairs on his upper lip were a painfully bright shade of electric blue. “Hey, Em!” he said lazily. “Check out my mustache!”

Emma rolled her eyes. “Tyrone Jonathan Thomas””

“Vincent!”

“Whatever. Tyrone Vincent Thomas, I deny the existence of your mustache!”

Tyrone wiggled his nose, his intention clearly being to make his meager mustache jump around like Ted’s eyebrows. “You can deny the existence of a freight train, but that doesn’t mean it won’t smash you flat if you jump in front of it,” he said sagely.

Emma rolled her eyes yet again, preparing a snappy comeback. “Well”” she paused. “Wait, what? What’s that supposed to mean?”

She didn’t get the chance to reflect on Tyrone’s philosophical meditations, though, because just then, her mother announced that it was time for everyone to return all hair to its original colour and prepare for the test.

Because the room was so noisy and busy with muttered incantations, waving wands, and books being thrown off of desks for the test, only those nearest Jordan saw what happened next. Notorious for bad posture as he was, his frame suddenly went rigid, and his mouth, conversely, became slack.

He began to speak, but when he did, his voice was strangely deep and even flatter and more robotic-sounding than usual. “Number one,” he said quietly. “Name one exception to the rule of self-transfiguration. The best example of an exception to the rule of self-transfiguration is the eyes. Eye colour and shape and eyesight cannot be changed with a spell or even by a metamorphmagus. These can only be altered by””

“Jordan? Jordan!” Ivy shook her brother gently, as she would to wake him up on Christmas morning.

An odd little shiver passed over the boy’s body, and he blinked. “Oh, I’m so sorry, I must have dozed off again. I haven’t been sleeping well,” he apologized.

“That’s all right,” said Ivy, “I know what you mean.” The previous year, when she’d been studying ridiculously hard to become an Animagus, she’d lost a lot of sleep and was always an inch away from falling asleep in class. It had actually happened to her a few times, but luckily, Ted or Haley had always been thoughtful enough to wake her up so she wouldn’t suffer embarrassment. Especially since he apparently talked in his sleep. “I just didn’t want you to sleep through the test.”

“Tests are out!” proclaimed Professor Granger-Weasley. “No talking, please, until all have been turned in. Yes, that means you, too, Gryffindors.”

Jordan took his copy of the test, yawning and rubbing his eyes. But after turning over the test and reading the first question, he had absolutely no trouble waking up. In fact, his stomach jolted like a roller coaster car missing a wheel.

“Number one: Name one exception to the rule of self-transfiguration.”

* * * * * *


He was still getting over the shock of such a monumental coincidence later that day, when he and the other sixth years were gathered in the wooden-hoop-strewn Great Hall for their first Apparition lesson. But he was not distracted enough to prevent himself from still being the best at everything.

“All right!” exclaimed the Apparition instructor. “Let’s get started!” She was a skinny, somewhat over-enthusiastic witch with bright yellow hair and too much red lipstick. “I’m your instructor, Belladonna Clump, but please, call me Belladonna! Now, for the next few weeks, we’re all going to learn how to do…this!”

She spun around on the spot, disappeared into thin air, and reappeared in a hoop a few feet in front of her. “Now, don’t worry if nobody in this class can Apparate just yet today. We still have several weeks to learn.”

She strode across the room, her peacock-blue robes flapping behind her. “The steps of Apparition are actually pretty easy. The trouble is remembering to do all three. Just remember the Three D’s”Determination, Destination, and Deliberation. You must focus very hard with no distractions, and then contemplate your destination”the hoop in front of you. Then move with deliberation, turning on the spot and disappearing.”

Belladonna clapped her hands together, which looked quite painful, seeing as her fingernails were long, curved talons painted bright red. “Now, you try.”

And as soon as Belladonna uttered the words, the room was filled with teenagers feeling desperately stupid as they stared at the small, circular patches of dusty floor inside their hoops. The Great Hall was silent except for periodic nervous giggles from Haley, who had twirled around so many unsuccessful times that she was beginning to feel as dizzy as Ted pre-diagnosis.

Meanwhile, her twin brother was staring at his hoop, his face composed and contemplative. Keeping his mind focused on the hoop, he pivoted neatly, disappeared into thin air, and reappeared standing inside the hoop with a ‘pop’.

Emma’s jaw dropped. “I hate you,” she said conversationally.

“The Overachiever Bandit strikes again!” cried Haley, hopping on one foot and flailing her arms madly to attempt to maintain her balance. She had tried to Apparate, but there was no way she could focus on the stupid hoop.

Dozens of entirely unrelated subjects”cows, pink lip gloss, the musical “Cats,” banana splits, goblin rebellions, ligers, Darth Vader, the rather cute boy who sat behind her in Divination, pink crystallized sprinkles”flitted through her brain whenever she tried to concentrate. How could her brother find this so easy, get it right on his first try? Maybe it had something to do with Occlumency. Or boring-ness.

“It didn’t seem particularly difficult to me,” shrugged Jordan. “It seems like common sense. I’ve seen people do it so many times and read so much about it that it was almost as if I’d done it before.”

“Well, I have done it before,” grumbled Haley. “Side-along Apparition with Vladislav Poliakoff, remember? And I’m hopeless. You’re a freak of nature.”

Jordan smirked. “Thank you.” He’d been called the same thing countless times by Giorgi, and he’d gotten used to it. By now, he simply took it as a compliment, even if it wasn’t intended as such.

For the rest of the hour, everyone tried to duplicate Jordan’s success, but nobody came even close to Apparating. The students were beginning to feel disheartened, and a lot less excited about Apparition than they’d been at the beginning of class.

Just as Belladonna Clump was about to dismiss the students, there was an absolutely thunderous CRACK!

All heads whipped around and the Great Hall broke out in applause, cheers, and wolf-whistles. Tyrone Thomas stood triumphantly in the centre of his hope, signature cocky grin spreading across his face.

“Ha! Did it!” he exclaimed. “Hey, Em, I don’t get what you had so much trouble with, this was ea””

He spotted something out of the corner of his eye and stopped in mid-sentence. The boy looked down at the ground. “Dagnabit!” he exclaimed. “I splinched my mustache!”

Emma cackled and pulled his hat down over his eyes. “What mustache?” she asked sweetly, and hightailed it out into the foyer.
End Notes:
Author’s Note: It is with deepest pride and greatest honour that I announce at long, long, long last, the winners of the OFFICIAL SCHMERG_THE_IMPALER READER ART CHALLENGE! Now, I have to tell you, I liked every single one of the entries I got in this contest, and it was absolute torture to decide.

But the overall, first place, number one winner was…. “ENJYCORN,” by Schmerg_The_Impaler! No, no, no, I’m kidding. I’m very sorry about that. The overall, first place, number one winner was… “Jordan Potter by Tim the Enchanter! Tim is an amazing artist, who deserves special recognition because of the sheer volume of fantastic pictures that he sent me. You should definitely check out his Dean’s Corner thread on the forums. I picked this one to win because it could have jumped right out of my imagination… and besides, it’s rather attractive. Congratulations, Tim!

The second-place winner is “Tyrone Thomas” by Yellow Viper. YV’s version of Tyrone is so sexy that even his belt buckle says so.

The third-place winner is “Jordan Potter is Sweeney Todd” by Heiress_of_Insanity! The idea was just so brilliant, I had to give her a nod. Plus, Emma as the Beadle has the cutest costume you can imagine.

We have four Honourable Mentions. First, we have “Young Emma Weasley” by Neville’s Girl. That’s an adorable picture if I’ve ever seen one. Next is “Tyrone Thomas Does NOT Enjoy Mild Insanity” by Tim the Enchanter, which is just absolutely perfect. The many pictures of Haley by Vitamin Vicki also get an Honourable Mention—I could never pick just one, and she captured the character of Haley perfectly! And then there’s “Ted the Wolf” by Yellow Viper. I just want to go up and give him a hug. Ted the Wolf, not Yellow Viper. Actually, I just want to give Yellow Viper a hug, too—and one to everyone else who submitted.

There are also loads more special awards—about twelve, if I’m correct—but I don’t have the space here to list them all here. To see all the special awards, as well as the chance to view all of the pictures, go to the website linked to on my profile (The Crow’s Nest), visit the Art section, and click on the thread entitled “Schmergo’s Reader Art Challenge” or something like that.

In closing, I’d like to give some special recognition to James Jameson, who recorded herself singing my version of “Popular” from my Wicked spoof. I can’t remember ever being so thrilled with the contents of an email.

Thanks again everyone for submitting to my contest, and I would like the five big winners to PM or email me and tell me their favourite song and who it’s by. All the entrants will be receiving fairly stupid prizes shortly! If I forgot to post your picture on the Crow’s Nest, please get in touch with me right away.
Chapter 8: In Which Emma Has A Birthday Adventure by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Yes! Time for another chapter! I don't own Harry Potter, or Aladdin, or the B-52s, or Hello Kitty, Anyway, Emma's birthday is October 30th and Tyrone's is November 1st, so she's two days older than him.
___________________________
Tyrone’s facial hair splinching notwithstanding, the only people who had managed to Apparate successfully by the end of October were two Ravenclaws and (of course) Jordan himself. A Hufflepuff had also endured a splinching, his far more grotesque than Tyrone’s”he’d left his head behind, which was somewhat horrifying for Madame Patil to repair. But more interesting than Apparition was the fact that Emma had just celebrated her seventeenth birthday, and was now legally of age, meaning she could perform magic outside Hogwarts at any time.

“So, now that you’ve been of age for over twenty-four hours, do you feel any different?” Ivy asked curiously. It was Halloween evening, the day after Emma’s birthday, and having finished the feast, the three girls were sitting in their dormitory chatting comfortably. Emma was perched on the window seat, Ivy was lying on her stomach on her bed, and Haley was sitting cross-legged on the floor trying to catch jelly beans in her mouth and failing rather miserably.

Emma shrugged, pulling a fluffy orange blanket around her. “I really don’t feel that different”I thought that maybe as soon as I turned seventeen, I’d feel super-powerful or something. I mean, we’ve all heard stories about Squibs who got magic powers when they turned seventeen, or, like, urban legends about some kid who found out he could do wandless magic on his seventeenth birthday.” She chortled. “I don’t know what I was hoping for.”

“Shooting fire out of your fingers?” Haley suggested brightly, picking some Bertie Botts Beans out of the carpet and popping them into her mouth.

“Yeah, I guess,” said Emma. She glanced out the darkening window behind her. “Ivy, it’s getting pretty late. You don’t want to be late for Ted’s transformation, do you?”

Ivy jumped up. “Oh, right!” she exclaimed. “Thanks for reminding me. Can I borrow the Invisibility Cloak?”

Her sister nodded, getting to her feet as well. “You know I’m a complete sucker for mushiness. I’ll always lend you my cloak if it means you get to spend some time with your favourite guy.” She paused. “Also, I’m just really, really nice.”

Emma snorted.

“ANYWAY!” Haley continued in highly dignified tones, ignoring her cousin’s lack of support, “I should actually get going, too. I have to go work on my Inter-House Unity project.”

She’d been remarkably devoted to her project, Emma noticed, meeting up with that Slytherin twice a week in the Muggle Studies classroom. Clearly, she was going to great lengths to prevent Zabini from having the satisfaction of failing his two least-favourite students. Emma and Nelson Blenkinsopp hadn’t met for their project since the first mandatory meeting in September, and she was in no rush to see Slug Boy again… and after all, they did have until April.

“See you later, then,” said Emma, waving a lazy goodbyeto her friend as they left the dormitory together.

She snuggled under her fuzzy blanket in the window seat, thumbing through a well-worn copy of Quidditch Through The Ages and humming to herself. Autumn had always been her favourite season, and not just because of her birthday. She loved the smells and the colours, and the crisp, cool, air… though this fall seemed to have an emphasis on the ‘cool.’ It had been unseasonably cold lately. In fact, she heard a distinctive tapping on the window that could only mean that it was hailing outside.

“Get over yourself and either snow or turn out warm,” she muttered to herself, not looking up from her page.

The tapping got louder, harder, and faster”it was hailing harder now, and Emma wondered vaguely how Ivy was faring, stumbling around the hail wrapped in the Invisibility Cloak. But then, Ivy, for some crazy reason, loved wintry weather in general, which probably explained why her Animagus form was an arctic fox.

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

“That is some crazy hail!” Emma said aloud. “It must be the size of Quaffles.” She turned around to see if the hailstones really were so impossibly big”and nearly toppled backward out of her window seat.

“AAAAAAGH!” she screeched, going an odd mixture of red and white that made her look like a candy cane. Floating casually by her window, grinning and waving, was Tyrone, seated comfortably on his broom.

Emma flung open the window and stuck her head out into the brisk air. “What the Helga Hufflepuff do you think you’re doing?” she demanded. Only she didn’t say ‘Helga Hufflepuff.’ “This is the girls’ dormitory, you creep! You’re lucky I was fully dressed”DON’T say anything disgusting about that or I’ll knot both your arms behind your head.”

“Relax,” laughed Tyrone, holding up both hands in a gesture of surrender while simultaneously showing off his flying skill. “I was just going for a ride, and I got bored and I thought, hey, Em just had her birthday yesterday and mine’s tomorrow, so maybe we could, I dunno, celebrate by just going for a ride. On our brooms.” He smiled hopefully.

Emma cast a wary eye on him. “You know I should hex you off your broom right now and watch you fall seven stories, right?”

“Yup,” confirmed the boy happily. “But come on, it’ll be fun. Please?” His eyebrows tilted upward in an expression Emma knew only too well.

She folded her arms. “Oh, all right,” she sighed, rolling her eyes. “But only because I don’t want you to bust out the puppy-dog eyes.”

“Yesss!” exclaimed Tyrone, punching the air with a jubilant fist as Emma grabbed her broom, a thick orange sweater, and her warmest traveling cloak.

“Here I go,” she said nonchalantly, jumping out of the seventh story window and landing smoothly on her broom. It was an impressive trick, but she’d done it before, and Tyrone managed to regard her with a bland and disinterested eye as he swooped down sharply to the ground.

“Catch me if you can!” he shouted.

“You’d better believe it!” Emma yelled back, kicking her broom into gear. “Just watch this thing accelerate! Naught to ninety!” She zipped alongside Tyrone, her long, wavy hair billowing out wildly behind her in the wind.

They were flying so low now that their toes skimmed the dewy grass of the school grounds, and the hems of their cloaks gathered moisture. Suddenly, Emma pulled up sharply, rocketing skyward in a great spiral until she was level with the treetops. She laughed freely as she soared through the air. Flying was her absolute favourite thing in the world, and it was especially fun with company… even more so in the evening when the grounds were empty and had the vaguely eerie, moonwashed look of a dream.

Tyrone pulled up beside her, zooming along leisurely. “I can show you the worrrrld,” he sang, rather louder than Emma would have liked. “Shining, shimmering, SPLEN-EN-DID! Tell me, princess, now when did you last let your heart decide?”

Emma smiled. “Don’t quit your day job,” she said.

Tyrone chose to ignore her, lifting his head haughtily. “It’s nice out tonight, isn’t it?” he mentioned. “I mean, it’s cold, but look up at the sky.”

Emma did. The stars were bright and clear, and sparkled all around the castle like silver sparks on midnight-blue dress robes”a less-than-original analogy, but one that accurately described one of Haley’s recent Hogsmeade purchases. She’d never seen so many stars in the sky before… or maybe she had, and had just never looked.

“The moon’s incredible, too,” she whispered. Indeed it was. It was round and full and bright yellow, looming over the sky and framing the North Tower of the school perfectly. It looked like a golden Galleon floating in the sky, and Emma found herself wondering why she didn’t go out much at night.

The pair circled the turrets of the Astronomy Tower. “That really is a huge full moon,” agreed Tyrone, doing a show-offy loop-the-loop, which Emma combated with a double barrel roll. “Shouldn’t you be down at the shack with Ted and company?” Although it was technically a secret that Ted regularly had visitors during his transformations, virtually everyone knew anyway. Emma suspected that most of the teachers knew as well, but it was best to use the Invisibility Cloak just in case.

“Actually, Ivy just usually goes by herself. I mean, she and Ted like to spend some time alone. It’s their special time, or something weird like that.”

Tyrone laughed. “Love shack, baby, love shack!” he sang loudly, wiggling his broom from side to side, a rakish smirk plastered across his face. He never seemed to stop smiling, Emma had noticed. This was a pleasant change from the sulky Tyrone who had pouted and squinted throughout the school during their several months of chilly silence the previous year. “Loooove shack!”

“Yeah!” exclaimed Emma. “I should call it that the next time I see them. Let’s see how many shades darker we can get Ivy to blush!”

Tyrone hooted as they zoomed past the Whomping Willow, and kept singing, clearly entertained by the sound of his own voice. “The Love Shack is a little place where… WE CAN GET TO-GETH-A-ER! Love shack, bay-ay-beee! Love shack””

“Shut up!” groaned Emma. “Please!” She clamped her hands over her ears, steering her broom with her knees. But Tyrone was so caught up in his song, he didn’t appear to have heard her. Emma pulled right up next to him and hollered in his ear, “In the name of all that is sane and tasteful, I command you to shut up!”

That seemed to do the trick, at least momentarily. The boy broke off and turned toward her, and Emma realized how very uncomfortably close they were. Their noses were almost touching. “You’re not my boss,” Tyrone stated, his breath palpably warm on her face. “Since when can you command me to shut up?”

Emma pulled back on her broom, feeling very awkward about having been in such close proximity to Tyrone. “Well, I do have some authority,” she sniffed, making a show out of haughtily examining her nails. “After all, as of yesterday, I’m a woman. You, my friend, are still a little boy.”

“Hey, I resent that!” protested Tyrone. “I’m very mature for my age.”

Emma chuckled. “And that’s why there’s a Hello Kitty coin purse looped around the end of your broom?”

Tyrone’s face might have flushed, but they were entering the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest, and it was too dark to tell. “It’s Tabitha’s,” he explained in a long-suffering sort of way. “It was the only way I could think of to let Fido ride, too.”

“Wait, you mean your pet toad’s in there?” Emma whirled to face him on her broom.

“Yep.”

“You’re not just a little boy, you’re a weird little boy.”

Tyrone flashed her yet another of his famous smiles. “And proud of it.”

They were silent again for a peaceful moment as they flew through the forest along its edge. They didn’t have anything in particular to say to one another, but they didn’t feel the need to. They were just content to fly and feel the wind and see the sights together.

At last, Tyrone broke the silence by saying, “Em, I know you can fly with no hands, but can you fly one-handed? It’s actually kind of hard”it throws off your balance.”

He knew her too well. There was no way she could ever pass up a challenge, particularly a flying-related one. She gripped her broom handle with her right hand and waved her left one around in the air. “Ta-daaa! What are you on about, this is really easy. It doesn’t throw off my balance at a”oh!”

She broke off in surprise. Tyrone had just taken her free hand in his warm, callused one as she spoke. He gave it a squeeze. “Let’s see how well we can fly like this,” he challenged, his hazel eyes gleaming bright even in the night. “It’s like a teamwork test.”

Emma returned the squeeze. “Teamwork test it is,” she agreed, smiling back.

The test went extremely well.

* * * * * *


Ted was understandably pale and tired after his werewolf transformation the next day, but he’d gotten used to it enough to eat breakfast in the Great Hall instead of the hospital wing. However, he was hardly the only person there who looked thoroughly exhausted.

Jordan, who had never been able to sleep well lately, was hunched over irritably with bags under his eyes big enough to hold Haley’s shopping. Ivy, who had stayed at the Shrieking Shack all night, looked nearly as sleepy and unwell. And Emma, for some reason, was snoring face-down in her scrambled eggs and cursed loudly at anyone who tried to awaken her.

Jordan couldn’t help but wonder what Emma had done that kept her from sleeping the night before, and hoped fervently that she had not been pranking Professor Zabini.

Only Haley, who was a morning person to an insane degree, was her usual perky and overly noisy self as she chattered about nothing in particular to nobody in particular.

Suddenly, the door banged open, and in strode Tyrone, head thrown back and chest thrust out. He gave his wand a lazy flick, and a red carpet rolled out across the floor toward Gryffindor table. “Make way for The Man!” he shouted, strutting across the carpet.

Emma’s egg-splattered face jerked up from her plate at the sound of his thunderous voice; no one could possibly sleep through it. “Whaa?” she muttered sleepily.

Tyrone plopped himself down on the bench next to her. “That’s right!” he boomed. “The ‘Ronester is seventeen years old! That means no more ordering off the kiddie menu, no more drinkin’ my Juicy Juice out of a sippy cup, and nooo more training pants for me!”

Emma cracked up hysterically, spraying him with bits of egg. For some reason, Tyrone seemed to have gotten much funnier in the past year or so. He was just so… weird, but at least it was entertaining. “Okay, I get the picture!” she spluttered, still laughing. “So, what are you gonna do for your birthday?”

Tyrone shrugged. “Maybe go outside the school grounds and blow up stuff now that I can do it legally? Doesn’t really matter. I mean, we already celebrated.”

“Blowing stuff up? I can help with that. The first thing to go is that Hello Kitty coin purse!”

Haley blinked. “Wait, what? I am not following this at all.”

“Oh, inside joke,” Tyrone explained patronizingly. “You wouldn’t get it.”

Ted and Ivy exchanged glances. Emma hated inside jokes. Whenever she heard someone mentioning one, she demanded to hear the entire story behind it, no matter how long it took. And now, here she was, laughing like a loon at inside jokes of her own.

“Well,” she said, “Thanks to your late arrival, Tyrone, you came just in time to see me leave. I have Potions in ten minutes with old Potato Head.”

Tyrone nodded. “Well, good luck,” he replied, raising his hand in a salute. He’d elected to quit Potions after his O.W.L.s”because he was an aspiring pro Quidditch player, he had no need for a further knowledge of potion-making, and would rather not waste his time on such a difficult course.

All the way to Potions, Jordan puzzled over when Emma and Tyrone could have come up with their inside jokes and ‘celebrated’ their birthdays, as Tyrone had put it. He’d been with her and his other friends all day the day before, except for after the feast, of course, when the girls had headed off to their dormitory and Jordan himself had gone to work on researching magical genealogy with Cecilia Longbottom. Maybe he was just reading too much into this”maybe Tyrone merely meant the Halloween feast the day before when he referred to how they had both celebrated. Equal parts curiosity and anal-retentiveness did not make a good mix.

The second he stepped into the dungeon for Potions, he knew something was different. A cluster of Ravenclaw girls was sitting on the desk that Ted normally used, doing one another’s hair in French braids. Charybdis Nott was going through Zabini’s storage closet. A Hufflepuff boy and a Ravenclaw boy were playing Exploding Snap on the floor. And Anatoly Capshaw was drawing spectacularly ugly pictures on the walls with chalk.

“What the Hogsmeade is going on in here?” exclaimed Emma, only she didn’t say ‘Hogsmeade.’ After six years of sitting silently, awaiting Zabini’s emergence from the storeroom, the class was suddenly a madhouse again.

“Substitute teacher!” a Ravenclaw named Valencius Twigg shouted over the commotion as his Exploding Snap cards burst into flames and singed his eyelashes. He pointed toward the front of the classroom, where a withered old man was snoring at Zabini’s desk.

Haley’s eyes lit up. “This,” she breathed, “is beyond awesome.” And with a whoop, she was off like a rocket, zooming around the classroom adding curly mustachios to all of Anatoly’s pictures (including the women, animals, and inanimate objects).

The other four Gryffindors behaved in a rather saner fashion. Ted and Ivy settled down in a corner to chat quietly, Emma stretched out on top of her desk to lie down, and Jordan pulled out his Quidditch playbook to work out tactics for the team.

It was amazing how much noise the class could make without disturbing the substitute teacher. By the end of the hour, Haley had managed to obtain some cheesy ‘80’s dance music, and it was blaring throughout the classroom at a very high volume. Many students were dancing on desks, with Haley herself occupying Zabini’s.

Sheets of paper fluttered down like snow, one of which landed on Jordan’s desk. He picked it up and turned it over, and realized it was a note to the substitute teacher from Professor Zabini.

“Mr. Snodgrass,
I will be absent on Nov. 1 due to my volunteer work with the Mimosa Phelps Foundation at the Ministry of Magic, which has also occupied me on Saturdays. These absences from teaching will continue to occur regularly once a month, and you must make certain that my students work just as hard, if not harder than I am here.
Sincerely,
Blaise A. Zabini.”


Jordan shook his head, watching his sister do the Macarena. This wasn’t exactly the lesson that Zabini had planned. Speaking of Zabini, Jordan couldn’t imagine him working with a charity foundation, especially as a volunteer”he seemed like the type to laugh at people in need, not help them. Maybe Zabini had been arrested for something like animal cruelty and was doing required community service? He smirked at the idea.

Emma rolled over on her side and moaned, clamping her hands over her ears. “Will you keep the stupid music down?” she yelled. “My head feels like an anvil that someone keeps whacking with an axe!”

“Why are you so tired, anyway?” asked Jordan.

“Why are you so nosy, anyway?” Emma shot back.

Jordan’s expression did not change. “There’s no need to get testy, I just wondered.”

“It’s nothing big,” Emma said, rolling her eyes. “Tyrone and I just went flying around the grounds last night, and we stayed out pretty late. Merlin knows how Tyrone’s so perky today”we kind of lost track of the time. When I got back, I thought it was maybe midnight, but it was three in the morning!” She rolled over. “So now my bum’s really sore.”

Jordan raised an eyebrow.

“From sitting on a broom so long, I mean,” snapped Emma.

Three in the morning? Ridiculous! What could have possibly possessed them to do something so stupid, on a school night, no less?

“Three in the morning?” Jordan said. “That’s ridiculous. What could have possibly possessed you to do something so stupid, on a school night, no less?”

“Well, it was fun,” Emma said exasperatedly. “Ever heard of that? We almost made it through to the other side of the forest.”

Just then, Jordan felt his body tense up and go rigid again. It was odd how something so strange and uncomfortable could begin to feel almost familiar. “We almost made it through to the other side of the forest…” The words seemed to echo and reverberate in his skull.

Images flashed through his mind like a hyperspeed slideshow. A handsome young man with dark skin and hair, accompanied by a girl whose reddish hair spilled down her back in waves, both of them laughing together. The moonlit sky. The dense centre of a forest. Four ragged-looking middle-aged men holding… what? They flashed by too quickly, before Jordan could make out what they held in their hands.

Then suddenly, from the centre of the forest, a loud and earsplitting ‘bang,’ followed by a shrill, anguished howl of pain. A man’s horrified, grief-stricken voice screamed, “Me! Me! Get back here, if you’re going to shoot her, why don’t you come after me as well?”


Jordan blinked and snapped back to reality, his eyes wide, his pulse racing, and his breathing heavy. He had returned to his normal state, but what he had seen, the stream of sounds and images lasting less than five seconds, chilled him to the bone. Surely what he had seen was merely a product of his own paranoid imagination, but the possibility terrified him. He had just seen Emma’s death, as unlikely as it was.

“Promise me you’ll never go in the Forbidden Forest with Tyrone again,” he said quietly.

Emma folded her arms. “You can’t tell me what to do. I’m a big girl, remember? In fact, I think I seem to remember that one of us is of age, and it isn’t you. I don’t need you sticking your nose in my business.” She squinted. “You look weird,” she noted. “I mean, weirder than usual. What’s the big deal anyway? I’ve broken loads of rules before.”

“You”you don’t have a good record with the Forbidden Forest!” spluttered the boy. “First year, you ran into a tree when we went to rescue Ivy and got a concussion. Fourth year, you ended up dueling with Malfoy. Fifth year, you fell into a ditch and got another concussion. The forest is dangerous and, let’s face it, you have a propensity to be reckless.”

Propensity?” spat Emma. “Talk like a normal person for once, will you? I’d think you’d be thrilled that me and Tyrone are getting extra flying practice in for the Quidditch season.”

“Tyrone and I.” Jordan, who would have shouted back at his cousin just a few years before, remained calm. It was so much easier to watch Emma blow up over his cool, disinterested expression.

“Whatever! You know, this is typical. You love to be the boss. You’re always giving orders, and you always expect everyone to follow them just because you’re a super genius or something. Have you ever thought that maybe one day, someone might stop listening?”

Jordan looked up at her with dark, serious eyes. His voice was low and soft, but with an underlying hushed urgency. “Emma. Listen. Right now is an extremely good time to pay attention to what I say.”

“No, thank you!” yelled Emma, and she rolled over, stuck her fingers in her ears, and pretended to sleep.

Jordan looked down at his knees. Maybe he, like Emma, was overreacting. Why should he believe that Emma was going to die just because of a strange idea that popped into his head?
But still, he felt horribly uneasy, and a sense of foreboding seemed to latch onto him like a leech, one that he couldn’t quite shake off however hard he tried.
End Notes:
Dude. Spamalot is closing on Broadway, and I am DISPLEASED. So's Hairspray, so you can imagine I'm in a foul mood. On a lighter note, at this moment, I am playing the Mad Hatter in a production of "Alice In Wonderland" and Arvide in "Guys and Dolls," so that's a lot of fun... even though it's taking up all of my time. I promise I'll keep updating, though.
Chapter 9: In Which Jordan Loses His Marbles by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the wait! Junior year is haaaaard. I just finished acting in“Alice In Wonderland,” as the Mad Hatter and “Guys and Dolls” as Arvide Abernathy, and both were outrageously fun. So now that my plays are over, I’ll have time to return to my other love: fanfiction. Incidentally, you might want to check out my new Gauntlet story, “Nott On Your Life!”
A teenaged boy sat hunched over a desk and a scroll of parchment, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. His desk was piled with books and obscured by seashells, pebbles, leaves, and flowers.

“Why can’t I do it?” he demanded aloud, screwing up his face. His long, dark hair was damp with sweat, and his flushed face matched his deep plum-coloured robes. “Arthur, I know it hasn’t worked yet, but will you please let me try one more time?”

A small, wide-eyed boy of about six or so, soft blond curls framing his face, nodded emphatically.

“Thanks,” sighed the teenager. “I’m sorry for wasting your time like this.”

“That’s okay, Merlin!” exclaimed Arthur, bouncing up and down in his seat. “Show me more magic!”

“Maybe later,” Merlin assured him patiently. “Today, I’m trying to work on a new type of magic, remember?”

Arthur squinted. “I forget. Tell me again.”

Unlike almost any other teenager in the world, Merlin did not sigh or roll his eyes. He simply explained, “Legilimency is the ability to enter the minds of others. Occlumency is the ability to block Legilimency. I already discovered those, but I’ve still not mastered Telemency.”

“What’s that?” asked Arthur.

Merlin’s expression turned distant and closed. “Sometimes, I have trouble explaining what I understand and what I’ve seen. I wish people could just… see for themselves. I want to give them my visions. You can look at memories in a Pensieve, but it doesn’t work for visions or for time traveling, because they’re ‘logical impossibilities.’”

“You said you time travel a lot!” protested Arthur.

“You have a very good memory,” said Merlin, with a smile. “But that’s what’s so great about magic. Things that are logically impossible are usually magically possible. And if that’s the case, I should be able to invent Telemency”moving thoughts from one mind to another. That’s what I’ve been trying to do with you.”

Arthur frowned. “But you’re good at explaining things to me.”

“You listen,” Merlin told him, his smile turning somewhat sad and his dark eyes growing even darker. “You’re an excellent listener. Some people don’t believe what I tell them. They get upset that I’m giving them directions when I’m just a… well, a Muggle-born country boy from a poor family who has to plow grain and feed the pigs and clean out the chicken coops just like the rest of them.”

His voice became bitter and brittle on the last sentence, breaking with emotion toward the end. He punched his hand. “But that’s not important right now. Let’s try again.”

“Ready!” chirped Arthur.

Merlin looked straight into the boy’s eyes, focusing intensely and unblinkingly. His eyes flashed and seemed to bore into Arthur’s. “I’m entering your mind,” he said calmly. “I can see inside it. I can see that you’re very hungry, and you’re feeling guilty because you put your finger up your nose and wiped it on my robes earlier when you thought I wasn’t looking. I already knew about that, though.”

Arthur grinned up at him apologetically.

“Now,” intoned Merlin, “I’m about to try and plant one of my visions in your mind. Tell me if you see anything.” His piercing eyes narrowed until they were nearly closed, and he tensed every muscle in his body. His slight frame trembled visibly from the sheer massive effort of such deep focus and concentration.

The room buzzed with silence for a moment. And then, the magic was broken and Merlin collapsed back into a chair. “It didn’t work!” he gasped. “I broke the connection. Just like every other time.”

“Why don’t they teach you how to do it at Hogwarts?” Arthur asked curiously. “Why don’t you ask Professor Gryffindor or Professor Ravenclaw? I thought you said they were really good?”

Merlin shook his head. “I’m the first person to really try Telemency, just like how I invented Occlumency and Apparition. Nobody can help me out.”

“Except for me, right?” Arthur asked gently.

“Except for you, Arthur,” Merlin agreed grudgingly. He wiped his sweaty palms on his robes. “Do you want to try again?”

And as Merlin closed his eyes, a thousand years later, Jordan Potter’s flew open. Like so many nights now, he was as sweaty as Merlin had been in the dream, and his bedclothes were tangled around his legs.

He glanced at his watch. 11:09 P.M. In the bed next to him, Ted was sleeping peacefully despite the fact that his bare feet were protruding from the end of his bed, Tyrone was snoring loudly, and the other two Gryffindor boys were just as contentedly and soundly asleep, apparently not troubled Tyrone’s snoring.

Jordan felt almost like a member of another species, looking around at all of these other boys who were not haunted by bizarrely vivid dreams, horrible headaches, and strange flashes of images. There had to be some reasonable explanation for all of the strange things that had been happening to him lately. But he hadn’t read anything that corresponded to his symptoms. Well, whenever he vaguely mentioned anything of the sort, his father just said it was ‘puberty’ and left it at that, but Jordan was certain that if what he’d been going through was normal, then he would have read at least something about it.

Who could he talk to? Who was extensively knowledgeable about the magical world and always gave good advice? More importantly, who was trustworthy enough to listen to him and not repeat a word?

He thought for a moment, and his mind rested on a very satisfactory answer: Professor Lupin. Who else was quite as talented at keeping secrets”after all, he’d kept from an entire school the one that he turned into a wolf every full moon.

His mind made up, Jordan pulled a dressing gown on over his pajamas and stumbled into the bathroom to pop in his contact lenses. It took irritatingly long, but he didn’t even own glasses anymore. The second he’d been allowed to wear contacts the summer between his third and fourth year, he’d had quite an enjoyable time smashing and destroying his old glasses.

His vision acceptably clear thanks to his contacts, he grabbed his wand and twirled it dexterously between his fingers. “Accio, Invisibility Cloak,” he whispered. He mused on the fact that a few years before, he would have rather cut his own head open and rubbed it with a lemon than break such a major rule as a curfew. He would have liked to see his first year self’s disapproving expression.

He snatched up the Invisibility Cloak as it came zooming toward him and pulled it around his body, allowing himself to disappear into nothingness. Jordan had always had the gift of being stealthy and quick-footed, and he tiptoed rapidly through the halls until he reached Professor Lupin’s private quarters.

He knocked on the door twice, hoping that Lupin was still awake. If he was sleeping, he would surely not want to talk. But his fears were unfueled”almost immediately, the door swung open.

“Hello,” said Lupin pleasantly. “Who’s under the Invisibility Cloak?” He really did not miss a thing, Jordan thought admiringly.

The boy pulled off his cloak, choosing not to speak until he entered the professor’s quarters, in case Gauge the caretaker overheard him and swooped down on him like an eagle snatching a fish out of water.

Lupin seemed to realize this, because he kept his voice low. “Ah, I know you would never come here in the dead of the night unless you had an important reason. Please come in.”

Jordan nodded, folding up his cloak and stuffing it into his pocket, then followed the teacher into his room. The second Lupin closed the door, Jordan blurted, “Something extremely strange is happening to me, and I wanted to talk to you about it, so long as you promise not to tell anyone”especially my family.”

“It’s probably just puberty,” Lupin said gently. “Most likely, anything strange that happens to you lately will be because of puberty.”

Jordan sighed. All fathers were alike. He often wondered if there was a class they had to take that instructed them in all of the most common fatherly clichés. “I’ve been having some very odd dreams since the year began,” he began.

“Ah, yes, I understand. What sort of dreams?” the professor asked.

“Very vivid ones,” Jordan said, trying to find the right words to describe them. “I usually never remember my dreams… but this year, I’ve had quite a few odd dreams. I had one about myself as an adult, and one about the Hogwarts founders and Merlin, and just tonight I had another dream about Merlin and… I think King Arthur. I had a few more as well, but I didn’t recognize anyone in them.” He looked up at Lupin to see how he was reacting and was rather encouraged by the fact that he didn’t look totally alienated.

“But,” he said, hesitating slightly, “That’s not what really worries me. For the last few weeks, I’ve had these… moments where I go stiff and a… well, it’s almost a slideshow…these images sort of flash through my mind. It’s definitely strange. One of them had the answers to a test, and one was… someone I know dying… and there were more as well.”

Professor Lupin’s brows contracted into a frown, and he studied Jordan’s face closely. At last, he said, “Ted told me that you told him he was unwell and that you knew something bad was going to happen just before he passed out. Is that true?”

Jordan nodded, confused as to the purpose of this question. “Yes, it is. Actually, that’s a bit unusual when I think about it. Things like that are always happening to me now”just popping into my head out of nowhere. I know that at least I used to be a logical person, but it seems like I’ve lost my mind lately.”

Lupin shook his head in amazement, his eyes disbelieving. He stared at the boy as if he’d never seen him before, rather than having known him since the day he was born.

“What’s wrong?” Jordan asked. Suddenly, he realized something”he’d been acting strangely lately, and so had Ted. Ted had been diagnosed with diabetes… but what if Jordan himself had something even worse?

Lupin folded his hands. “What exactly can you tell me about Merlin in your dreams?” he asked.

This was a strange question indeed. What could the point of it possibly be?

“Well, he was quite young,” Jordan began slowly. “I know he must have been young once, but I never really imagined him as anything but an old man before. But he was about my age in my dreams… and he said he was Muggle-born and he lived on a farm. I never thought of Merlin actually doing manual labour. That does explain why Merlin supported the Muggles’ rights, though, and it certainly explains why so many wizards of the time refused to pay attention to his prophecies.” He paused.

“He’d already discovered Apparition and Occlumency, and he wanted to invent Telemency, but he couldn’t manage it… and that’s interesting, because I read an article about the impossibility of Telemency last year, when I was teaching myself Legilimency, and it’s something I’m really interested in.”

“Do you remember if anyone described what exactly made Merlin so unique?” asked Lupin.

Jordan blinked. What was the purpose of these questions? He closed his eyes to try and remember what Ravenclaw and Slytherin had said about Merlin. But he didn’t even have to think about it-- he heard their voices echoing in his head.

“He’s not just the most brilliant logical mind of our time. He’s also the most talented Seer the world’s ever known,” said Ravenclaw in her cool, clipped voice.

“Time is no match for him. He experiences the past, predicts the present, and remembers the future,” added the slippery, Shakespearean tones of Salazar Slytherin.

Lupin’s jaw dropped, and it was then that Jordan realized he hadn’t just heard these voices. He had uttered them.

“Jordan,” said Lupin, his calm voice contrasting bizarrely with his deeply unsettled expression, “I have to say, you are the last person that I could ever imagine in your situation. But I have absolutely no doubt that you’re a Seer.”

It was as though a twenty-ton weight had been suddenly dropped on Jordan’s head. He struggled for words, but none of them really seemed to work. At last, he found his voice. “A Seer?” he hissed. “That’s nothing but nonsense. Everyone knows there are no real Seers, just frauds who want money and attention.”

“You should take this seriously,” said Lupin. “What about Merlin’s visions? They’re legendary. You can’t call him a fraud.”

Jordan laughed bitterly. “I’m not Merlin.”

“Nobody is,” agreed Lupin. “But Seeing is an extraordinarily rare gift. It’s impossible to ignore it.”

The boy slouched over in his chair. “I’m sixteen, Professor. I’m certain that if I was a Seer, I’d have known it before now.”

“Actually, no,” Lupin told him. Jordan’s face must have betrayed acute surprise, because the professor smiled kindly. “You know a great deal about magic, but I’m surprised you never figured this out on your own. There’s a reason why wizards come of age at seventeen. They reach their true magical potential on their seventeenth birthdays; surely you’ve heard the stories? Vampires don’t become truly violent until they’re seventeen, and those with the power to do wandless magic can’t control it until they’re of age.

“Likewise, a Seer doesn’t receive his powers until his seventeenth birthday”although they do begin to manifest themselves in the months before. They just aren’t readily usable or controllable until age seventeen. Your birthday’s in two months. It’s no surprise that your abilities are starting to come in... well, it is a surprise to me, actually. Very much a surprise.”

Jordan had a sudden mental image of himself wearing a gauzy scarf around his head and gazing into a crystal ball moaning, “Woo! Woo!” in airy and mystical tones, wiggling his fingers. He sincerely hoped it wasn’t a vision.

Normally, he would have laughed at the idea were he not so preoccupied. There was no way he could be a Seer. But Lupin generally knew what he was talking about, and he seemed very certain about this. Jordan had never read anything about Seers; he’d avoided reading about that whole wooly, inexact branch of magic altogether. Maybe he should have borrowed Haley’s Divination textbook just once.

“Now, here’s what’s especially important. There are different kinds of Seers. The majority of them generally just have a few sporadic visions or make prophecies while in trances. Most, like Professor Trelawney, have no control over their abilities and simply have one or two visions in their lifetimes. Less common”even considering how few Seers of any description that there have been in history”are people who have dreams that are a completely accurate representation of an event, past, present, or future.

“And then, there is the third group, and smallest of all. They’re men and women who innately know and understand things about the world around them without having ever learned them. They”” he took a sip of tea”“are, historically, simply called ‘The Wise Ones.’”

His eyes were alight with excitement. “Only four times has Hogwarts had anyone who fell under anything close to this third category. The first was, of course, Merlin. Then much later, there was a female Seer who ended up marrying King Henry VIII… and it ended very badly for her. And then, there was a man named Oliver Cromwell who… well, it didn’t end very well for him, either, though Cromwell himself might disagree with that. But that’s not important.’”

“Who was the fourth?” asked Jordan cautiously.

The professor looked him straight in the eye. “I’m beginning to think it might be you.”

For once in his life, Jordan James Potter was completely and utterly speechless. He was not a Seer. He’d never heard such an idiotic, ridiculous thing in his whole life, and he’d heard Haley. He could not be… and yet, thinking back to all that had happened to him, everything fit eerily, uncannily perfectly. His dreams, his trances, his random jolts of inspiration… all logical signs pointed to the word ‘Seer.’

And yet, how could that ever be called logical, of all things? Wasn’t it impossible to be a true Seer, based on all he had learned? Could his poor, confused mind completely spun off the tracks and fooled the rest of him into thinking that being a Seer was possible, not only possible but likely? He knew better. Sixteen years of experience and dedicated disbelief in all things Divination couldn’t be overcome by a few weird dreams and a guesstimate by Professor Lupin.

A small mirror hung on the wall behind Professor Lupin’s desk, and Jordan could see his pale and confused face reflected back in it. He remembered the previous year, when he’d studied himself in the mirror and realized how much he had changed. Now the same face stared back at him”same untidy mop of black hair, same finely-carved features, same freckles across the nose, same faint slash of a scar running through his eyebrow and down to his cheekbone.

But his eyes were different. There was something unfamiliar about them. They were hardened, certain, calm… and the reflection of his eyes gave away what the rest of him was trying to deny. Something had been happening to Jordan lately, and there had to be some sort of explanation for it. No matter how strange it sounded… maybe it was possible that he could be… oh it sounded so stupid. He didn’t even dare think the word ‘Seer’. But what if Professor Lupin was right? What if he really did have great and terrible powers deep inside him, of which only tiny glances had shown themselves?

There was something strange about his eyes. Those eyes were the eyes of a different person, not a sulky adolescent but something much greater. But… what if he was wrong? He’d just look completely stupid. Still… if he had this gift, it would be a pity to waste it. He had to at least think about it.

At last, Jordan spoke, his voice weak and faint, but surprisingly tranquil. “I… I’ll consider it. What you said.”

Rowena Ravenclaw’s voice once again surfaced in his mind: “There is a difference between cleverness and wisdom. I know many things, but he understands everything.

Jordan had always been very clever. His massive I.Q., comprehension of information, and memory for facts had put him head and shoulders above the rest of the school in terms of intelligence. But maybe he was beginning to grow wise as well.

There was something frightening about the uncertainty. It was like an elephant standing before Professor Lupin’s small mirror”parts of it were reflected in the glass as it turned, here an eye, here an ear, here a patch of thick grey torso, here a brushlike tail, but none of these parts on its own was an elephant. And just seeing one of those parts on its own didn’t guarantee that it belonged to an elephant. It could be something else entirely, something much smaller and less fantastic. Running around yelling ‘elephant’ would be stupid until he knew for certain that he’d seen the entire elephant.

Lupin’s hands were shaking. “Well,” he said, trying to keep his voice calm, “You will need to take Divination classes to help you learn more about your talent and how to use it.”

Divination? It was one thing to accept the reality of what it meant to be a true Seer. But to take Divination classes from that old fraud Trelawney, who had no grasp of how to even use the little skill that she had? Even worse, to take it with Haley, to have to explain himself? It would be a nightmare. And if he wasn’t a Seer at all”which, he reminded himself, he most likely wasn’t”the class would be even more of a waste.

“I… I have a full schedule. There’s no room for another class,” stammered Jordan.

“It’s of utmost importance for you to take Divination,” Lupin told him seriously. “If you are a Seer, you’ll need some sort of guidance. How else will you know how to interpret your dreams and visions, or how to exercise any control over your abilities? It’s dangerous to have a talent without knowing how to use it.” He ran a hand through his hair. “The Board of Governors will understand,” he added thoughtfully. “I’m sure you’ll be allowed to use a Time Turner for such a necessary class. You’re very responsible, so there should be no trouble.”

Amazing. Two logical impossibilities granted to Jordan at once. Psychic powers and a time machine. He’d never be able to return to his old pattern of life after this.

He looked up at his teacher. “Professor, I know you’re excited about all of this. But I need to know for myself whether I’m a Seer before I start spreading the word around. I need… logical proof, as idiotic as that sounds for this sort of situation. Can you please not tell anyone outside the Board of Governors”especially Professor Trelawney?” He paused. “And particularly especially my family?”

“I can understand why you would want to do that,” replied Lupin quietly.

Jordan got to his feet. The clock on the wall read 11:47 P.M. He could hardly believe that it had only been half an hour since he’d made the decision to visit Lupin”so much had changed since then, in such a short amount time. Every fibre in his body was tingling, and his skin prickled with gooseflesh. He rubbed his arms together.

“Thanks, Professor,” he said. “For… um… everything.”

When he went back to bed that night, he was untroubled by strange dreams. But this was only because he did not sleep at all.

* * * * * *


“You’re starting Divination tomorrow?” exclaimed Cecilia a week later as she and Jordan worked on their genealogy project.

“Yes,” Jordan said, not even looking up from his book. “Oh, make a note on your chart, the pureblood Crouch line died out with Bartemius Crouch, Jr.”

Cecilia threw quill at him, though she purposely missed. “Wasn’t it you who said you thought Divination was totally useless? It’s just stupid to sign up for it. You could be doing homework for your other classes during that time.”

Jordan sighed. “Professor Lupin signed me up,” he said. “Believe me, it wasn’t my own choice. He thought I should get at least some knowledge of all of the different branches of magic… and besides, Divination itself isn’t necessarily rubbish, just the teacher.”

“What?” Cecilia blinked. “Listen, my mum loves that Divination nonsense, and she’s always talking about it. She runs the Quibbler and everything… let’s just say that she definitely believes in some strange things. If my mum believes in something, it’s a sure sign that it doesn’t exist.”

“Does your mum believe in love?” Jordan challenged. “What about courage? Honour? She was blinked in the last battle against Voldemort, wasn’t she? She has to believe in friendship and bravery and justice if she sacrificed herself like that. You can’t just generalize.”

“Those are just abstract concepts!” snapped Cecilia. “There’s no quantitative way to measure those!”

Jordan raised his eyebrows. “We’re getting nowhere here. All I said is that Divination does exist. If you say it doesn’t, then you’re saying that Merlin was a fraud as well, and he was the greatest Seer who ever lived. He had psychic dreams, visions, every sort of magical wisdom, absolutely everything. I doubt…anyone… at this school has any sort of sixth sense, but it can never hurt to learn as much about magic as possible.”

“Maybe Merlin was a fraud,” said Cecilia. “After all, nobody living has ever met him. All we have are writings about him, and they’re secondary source at best. In my opinion, he was just a good guesser and historians embellished the facts.” She squinted. “And since when are you the expert on Divination? What’s this about all the different branches?”

Jordan scribbled down a few notes on his parchment, remaining cool-headed. “Maybe I’m just not as narrow-minded as you are,” he told her. “I find it useful to have a broad range of knowledge of our world and not just the things that you think are important.” He was almost choking to death on the lies he was uttering, but if he was going to take Divination, he might as well do it boldly.

Cecilia shook her head, her lips pursed. “I don’t get you at all. You’re acting so weird. What happened to logic? Are you feeling all right?”

“I’m fine,” he responded flatly. “And as for logic, logic is the most important thing, of course. Very useful. But it’s like seeing in black and white. Sometimes, it’s useful to see in colour, as well.”

Cecilia stood and crossed to the other side of the room, then turned around and faced him from the corner, her arms folded. “What on earth is wrong with you today? You’re not making any sense at all! It’s almost like”” she trailed off and squinted at him suspiciously. “Are you in love?”

“No!” exclaimed Jordan. Trust a thirteen-year-old to jump to that conclusion. “I’m just trying to see from a different perspective! Is that so hard to understand?”

“From you, yes!”

Jordan stood up now as well. “And what exactly do you mean by that?”

“I mean that you’ve never cared about anyone’s perspective but your own, because you’re always right!”

Her forceful words struck Jordan as though she’d punched him in the mouth. He was sure that she wasn’t trying to insult him, that she actually admired this in him, and that was what made it all the worse.

Was this really true? He was staunchly independent and self-motivated, and he was a talented leader who always took the liberty of giving directions, but did he really never listen? And was this how everyone saw him? Cecilia hadn’t even known him long”what about those who had known him his whole life?

He didn’t know how much he was going to change in the next few months, but if it really was true that he would soon be able to ‘experience the past, predict the present, and remember the future’ as Slytherin had put it, then he was certainly going to surprise and frighten some people. Including, he was afraid, himself.

One of him first victims was his own sister, as a matter of fact. The next day after lunch, Jordan stood at the base of the flimsy ladder that he would climb to reach the Divination classroom. He felt unusually nervous and hesitant as he stood there, hastily tucking his time-turner inside the neck of his robes.

The truth was, he was worried about what everyone else would think about him, worried about all of the heads that would turn to face him the instant he stepped into the classroom. He knew he shouldn’t be, that he should rise above it all, that he was the only one who really had good reason to be there, but he wasn’t Merlin. He was just a self-conscious teenager who was terrified of facing his fellow sixth years. He wished he could be as fearless as Emma, though maybe without the scary temper.

He took a deep breath and mounted the bottom rung of the ladder. At least, he thought, time traveling every day would be easy enough for him to get used to. He was surprisingly comfortable with it; much like with Apparition, he’d read so much about it, he felt almost as if he’d done it before.

Jordan pushed open the trapdoor, planning to stride into the classroom with a confident and unconcerned air about him, his head held high. Instead, the hem of his robes caught on the corner of the trap door and he stumbled into the classroom with a depressingly girlish shriek.

Ever head in the room snapped around to stare at him. “OH MY GOSH!” shrieked Haley, dropping the crystal ball she was holding and letting it shatter on the ground.

“Reparo,” Jordan said calmly, with a nonchalant flick of his wand.

“What are you doing here?” Haley demanded, her voice about as shrill as the average dog whistle.

Her brother smiled, aware of the fact that the entire class was watching him. He was determined to make as much of a show of this as possible”Haley was not the only Potter with a flair for the dramatic. “Presumably, I’m here to learn,” he told her casually, and sat down in an armchair in a manner that he liked to think was debonair and just came off as looking like he had a cramp in his hip. “I don’t know about you.”

Haley gasped and spluttered incoherently.

“Professor Lupin suggested that I sign up,” Jordan said, his voice smooth. “I have quite a comprehensive knowledge of magic if I do say so myself, but I know next to nothing about Divination.”

He was irresistibly reminded of his first several years at Hogwarts, when he’d made up for his total lack of faith in himself with false ego. Now he was covering up for his total lack of sanity. It was amazing how useful it could be to fake arrogance; it annoyed people so much that they didn’t bother to stop and think that it might not be genuine.

Most likely, Haley had much more to say, but she never got the chance. Professor Trelawney held up her gnarled, jewel-bedecked hands. “Enough! Enough of the ruckus! It disturbs the Inner Eye!”

Jordan suspected that his Inner Eyes were rolling in Inner Irritation. Weren’t sight and hearing two entirely different senses? Surely it was the same with the sixth sense as well.

“And welcome to our realm, Mr…?”

“Potter,” Jordan confirmed. “I’m Jordan Potter.” Some Seer she was, not even knowing his name. In any case, his messy black hair and green eyes were a dead giveaway.

Trelawney’s hugely magnified eyes grew even wider at the sound of his surname. “Ahhh,” she breathed. “To have a set of twins in one class is an auspicious sign, indeed. Surely you’re aware of the powerful psychic connection between twins? And with your sister’s talent…”

‘Powerful psychic connection’ indeed. The only psychic connection between the Potter twins was their uncanny ability to push one another’s buttons and annoy one another with unusual efficiency. And if Haley had ‘talent’ in Divination, it was her enthusiasm for the subject that made her an expert when it came to knowing what to guess, not psychic power.

“Today,” Trelawney announced in a voice so breathy and throaty that she may well have taken a paintbrush and coated her vocal cords with industrial quantities of mucus, “we will be studying the art of palmistry!”

This statement was greeted with ‘ooh’s and ‘ahh’s and a certain boy slumping several inches lower in his seat.

“In the world of palmistry, one must remember to examine one’s partner as a whole”both with one’s outer and inner eyes. And only then can the palm be read and interpreted. The textbooks on your desks describe the meaning of the shapes and lines of the human hand.”

She suddenly swooped toward a Hufflepuff boy named Roran O’ Reilly and snatched his hand. Roran looked somewhat terrified at the prospect of having his future predicted for the whole of the class, but if he spoke any words of protest, they were covered up by Trelawney’s evaluation.

“Stand up, please. Yes, tall and sturdy, strong and square features… talented at working with his hands and repairing things, I see.”

“Well, actually, I--”

“And let me see your hand. Ah yes, these are strong hands. I can see you’re very grounded,” Trelawney continued, seeming not to have heard Roran, despite the fact that he was extremely near her. “Very down to earth…”

“Um, my dad says””

“Dislikes the frivolity of mindless chatter and silly games and competitions…”

“No, er, I’m Hufflepuff Keeper, and””

“And you will marry at the age of twenty-six, father two daughters, live to a ripe old age, and be eaten by Nundus while on a family holiday,” Trelawney finished triumphantly.

Roran squinted at his hand, looking very concerned and more than a little worried, which was understandable.

Jordan was feeling extremely fortunate that he was not the one who Trelawney had singled out when FWOOSH! With a flurry of flying jewelry, scarves, and shawls, she swooped toward the twins in a cloud of perfume.

“The hands of twins,” she announced, “will occasionally bear a mark unique to them among the billions of denizens of the earth. I’ve never before had the privilege of having both twins in a pair in my class, so this is a very special occurrence!” She beamed in a vague sort of way as she moved closer toward Haley, who got to her feet in a needlessly glamorous manner, her head held as high as her small stature would allow.

“Small and dainty, delicate features, a sensitive soul…”

Jordan nearly choked stifling a laugh. Haley may have been small and ‘dainty,’ whatever that meant, but the girl was as tough as nails. She was not ‘sensitive,’ not by a long shot”except for when it came to people raising one eyebrow. But Haley did not protest as Trelawney took her hand and prepared to read it.

“Hmmm… oval-shaped palms”these are creative hands. But your fingers are small and short”you have determination. And””

Suddenly, the Divination Professor gasped and clutched her heart. It was so sudden, in fact, that a Hufflepuff girl named Isadora Dalton fell out of her chair. “I… I’ve never seen anything like it!” sobbed Trelawney, tracing the lines of the girl’s hand with her finger. “You have a very short head line, and around it, your… your life and heart lines flow into one another almost seamlessly.” She shook her head slowly with disbelief. “In all my years, I’ve never… I don’t know what this means!”

Tears were flowing own her face, and she hugged the wide-eyed Haley like an inordinately proud parent. “You will marry your fifth love, have three sons and two daughters, and be successful on the stage!” she choked out.

She babbled on for several minutes about Haley’s hand and how unusual it was, and just as he was beginning to tune her out, Trelawney zipped right over to Jordan and breathed, “The chances of such an extraordinary hand from the other twin are quite rare, but one mustn’t risk one’s chances of finding a set of unusual twin hands, must one?” She studied the boy intently. “Slight of build, lean muscles, fine features, the soul of a dark romantic…”

“No, I’m not at all romantic, I--”

He couldn’t finish his statement, because Trelawney had snatched his hand and was wearing the type of overjoyed expression that Emma usually did right after a Slytherin Quidditch player was injured grievously.

“Square palms, that means you’re logical and practical, but what’s this, the long and slender fingers of an artist and dreamer. Your palms are… oh!” She let out an odd, choked-up sort of shriek and staggered toward a pouffe, collapsing onto it. “Your hand,” she whispered.

“Don’t worry, I washed it before I came in,” Jordan said dryly. He would normally never even think disrespectful thoughts about a teacher, but frankly speaking, he did not consider Trelawney worthy of his respect.

“Your heart line is very short, but your head line and your life line… they… I’ve never seen such a hand! Look at how they curve to meet one another so perfectly…”

Jordan studied his own palm, glancing at the oval formed by its lines. He’d never known that was unusual before”he didn’t make a habit of examining other people’s hands.

Trelawney stared deep into his eyes, cocking her head to the side like a dog eagerly awaiting a treat. “There is greatness in you, mark my words. I can see it haunting your face. But you…” she trailed off, gazing off into space. “You must have been a powerful magician in a past life.”

Jordan stood up. This was just too much. He couldn’t take any more of this nonsense. “In my ‘past life’?” he repeated. “There is no such thing as reincarnation! If there was, then how could there possibly be ghosts? If hypothetically there is ‘greatness’ in me, it would be my own, not a dead wizard’s. The closest thing to reincarnation in our world are magical heirs, but even that’s not particularly similar.”

“Magical air?” he heard a girl whisper two tables apart from his. It was surprising how little some people knew.

“No, magical heirs,” he explained, somewhat enjoying ‘teaching’ the class. His voice was almost patient. “When a wizard or witch’s abilities are passed down to a descendent born a number of years after the original witch or wizard’s death. For example, Lord Voldemort was the heir of Slytherin, and he held powers otherwise unique to Slytherin. His mother and grandparents were not heirs of Slytherin. Only he was. Understood?”

There were a few nods, but mostly slack-jawed confusion. Jordan suddenly realized how he must look to the rest of the class. He was the ‘new kid’ who had breezed in to class on his first day, corrected the teacher, constantly showed off his intelligence, and thought he knew enough to not even do the work or pay attention.

Granted, this was all true, but it was not a reputation with which he wanted to be saddled. He sat down hastily and folded his unusually-lined hands, watching silently as Trelawney babbled about Isadora Dalton’s future set of nine children.

He glanced down his robe collar at the small gold hourglass nestled snugly against his collarbone. These classes were definitely not worth time travel.
End Notes:
If I don't update soon, then pester me until I do so. I mean it.
Chapter 10: In Which Ivy Has A Very Malfoy Christmas by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Whoot, update! Very timely chapter, seeing as it's the holidaytime and all that jazz. Ted is cute, and... I still don't own Harry Potter.
“Sit on my suitcase,” Haley instructed sharply. “It won’t close, and I’m too light to do the job myself.”

Tyrone got up from his armchair. “Will do,” he replied, and proceeded to jump up and down several times on top of the suitcase, which finally clicked shut.

“Oh, smashing!” Haley enthused, theatrical as always in her word choice. “Um, literally. I think you broke everything I had in there. But thanks anyway.”

It was the day that the students would embark on their winter holidays, and Haley’s packing strategy appeared to be ‘pack like you’re going to be stuck on a desert island for a year instead visiting your own home for a week.’

Christmas was always an important holiday for the Potter family, and there was always a ridiculous number of friends, neighbors, and intended family members in attendance. Needless to say, Haley herself was particularly fond of Christmas, and she’d spent many a joy-filled hour shopping for just the right presents.

“Merry the-day-before-Christmas-Eve, everyone!” exclaimed Ted, emerging from the boys’ dormitory dressed in a jumper that Molly Weasley had knitted him (the sleeves were about three inches too short, but it was comfortably baggy) and his infamous pair of jingle-bell antlers mounted on a headband.

“Oh, you’re not wearing that stupid headband again, are you?” groaned Emma. “It’s not all that manly, you know?”

Ted plopped down next to her on the sofa. “Yeah, I know. But I like it,” he said, smiling. “I don’t really feel like I need to prove my manliness all the time.”

“Blah,” Emma said intelligently. She looked up. “And while we’re talking about Ted’s manhood, where’s Ivy?”

Ted knew the answer to that one. She was doubtlessly holed up in her dorm, worrying about the time she would spend with the Malfoys the two days after Christmas. Although Ted would have preferred to talk to her himself, he did understand how she felt. There were some things he preferred to keep to himself as well.

He decided perhaps it would be best to simply change subjects. “Where’s Jordan?” he asked.

The sister of both missing parties shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe hanging upside-down like a bat in the owlery. He’s been so weird lately.” It was true”he’d been acting strangely, talking strangely, thinking strangely, and… well, he always looked strange, what with that dead wombat on top of his head that he liked to call hair. Jordan had never been a social person in the least, but lately, he’d become practically reclusive. Haley didn’t know what to make of it, but she assumed it couldn’t be good”she had serious worries that Jordan was working on a sinister plan for world domination or something of the sort.

“Hey, does anyone want a candy cane? I stole some out of the teachers’ lounge.” She reached into the inside pocket of her pockety jacket and pulled out seven or eight of the confections.

“Are you kidding? Of course!” replied Emma, snatching one immediately, then curling up like a cat to begin licking at her candy.

Tyrone took one as well and bit into it, crunching it loudly. Emma flinched.

“How on earth do you have such perfect teeth?” she demanded, picking up a bit of broken candy can that had fallen from the boy’s mouth and flicking it back at his face. “Just listening to you eat that thing is making my teeth hurt!”

Tyrone grinned, displaying said mouthful of perfect teeth, as well as a rather large amount of chewed-up candy cane fragments, and Emma pretended to gag.

“What about you, Tedward?” chirped Haley, hanging two candy canes from the antlers on his headband.

Ted shook his head, causing the bells to jingle and the candy canes to sway gently back and forth. “Can’t, they have too much sugar in them. But I’ll take a few for Ivy and my family.”

“Oh, right, sorry.” It was easy to forget about Ted’s diabetes, as he didn’t mention it often, but Haley always felt extremely sorry for him. In her opinion, one of the great joys of life was random sugar-devouring sprees whenever she felt like it, and to have such a wonderful right snatched away was positively… well, unconstitutional.

They spent the next several minutes working on devouring their candy canes and discussing plans for the winter holidays (most of which involved sleeping in and not doing homework) and all was peaceful and cozy.

And then, Ivy entered the room. Although she appeared silently, there was an imperceptible change in the atmosphere as she did so, and all heads turned to face her, as though she was a raw piece of meat thrown into a piranha tank.

“Candy cane?” Ted offered brightly, pulling one off of his antlers and offering it to her.

Ivy smiled. “I could certainly use one,” she said, her voice sounding small and brittle. She sat down next to Ted, tucking her legs up under her, and leaned her head up against his shoulder.

“Don’t worry about the Malfoys,” Ted assured her quietly. “Well, I can’t say that, you’re the biggest worrier on the face of the planet, and we both know you’re gonna worry… but listen. Tomorrow’s Christmas Eve, and you don’t have to leave for Malfoy Manor for three more days. Let’s just make sure the next few days are ridiculously fun, okay? And you know I’ll be there for you the whole time these next three days, so by the time you have to go to Malfoy Manor, you’ll just be glad to get away from me.”

“I just wish I could take you with me,” replied Ivy, smiling up at him.

Emma pretended to vomit into a potted plant.

* * * * * *


Haley sneezed loudly as she stumbled out of the fireplace and into Number Seven, Griffin Circle later that day. “Hi, honey! I’m home!” she chirped, dropping her three suitcases onto the ground to give Ted something to trip over, and giving her mother and father each a hug and a kiss.

Behind her, Emma staggered out of the fireplace, followed by Ted (predictably tripping over Haley’s suitcases), Ivy, and, bringing up the rear, Jordan. There was a happy commotion of greetings, hugs, exclamations, and suitcase-tripping from the crowd of friends and family members already waiting at Number Seven for the children to arrive.

The Potter house was always a crowded one at Christmas, but in a cozy way. In attendance, besides the five friends, there were Mr. and Mrs. Potter themselves, as well as little Holly and Jonathan, Ron and Hermione, Remus and Dora Lupin, and Ted’s grown-up siblings Christina and Nathanael.

Then there were Fred and George Weasley, along with Fred’s wife Angelina and three daughters, and George’s wife Eglantine and their children, Edwin and Esmerelda. There were Bill, Fleur, and Marina Weasley from France, and Charlie and his wife from Romania. And then there were Arthur and Molly Weasley, parents or grandparents of the majority of the party and providers of jumpers for all.

And of the battalions of guests, it seemed nearly everyone was talking at once:

“Oh, you’ve got soot all over you! Let me wipe it off for you, dear.”

“Look at you, you’re so tall!”

“Hey, there! I’ve missed you!”

“Happy Christmas, sport!”

“Tell me all about school. How’s it been?”

Emma and Haley were relating in great detail, complete with very large hand gestures, the fascinating tale of how they had pranked the school toilets to a rapt audience of Fred, George, Edwin, and Ron, while Hermione clucked her tongue disapprovingly.

Jordan was describing the events of the years’ first Quidditch match, a glorious victory over Ravenclaw, to his parents, with Emma occasionally breaking off from her toilet-pranking tale to interject a few comments about some of her more heroic actions as Chaser.

Ted’s much older sister, Christina, had stolen his antlers, while his brother, Nathanael, had him in a headlock and was giving him a “Noogie of Death,” parents looking on in amusement. As the baby of the family, Ted had learned to put up with some good-natured teasing, and his easygoing manner caused him to be a good sport about it”although Nathanael no longer dared give his little brother one of his infamous ‘Wedgies of Death.’ As formidable as Nathanael’s green hair and earring made him appear, he was also a good seven inches shorter than Ted, and he was very aware of that fact.

And Ivy greeted Holly and Jonathan, who each demanded that she pick them up first. They split a candy cane and pleaded to hear a ‘Zamboni story.’ (‘Zamboni’ was their mispronunciation of ‘Zabini’, and they were fascinated by the ‘evil’ Potions teacher they had heard so much about.) Neither of the younger set of twins noticed the troubled expression on their idolized big sister’s face.

Ivy, however, was not the only person putting on a false front of happiness. Ron’s face looked thinner, his eyes tired and puffy with heavy bags, and there was suddenly a very noticeable amount of grey visible at his temples. He was used to being famous, but it had never been him in the spotlight before”his name was nearly always mentioned alongside more illustrious ones, usually Harry’s. But now that he’d become infamous, an object of international speculation, he was alone and confused as people learned all they could and debated ‘did he or didn’t he?’ He now knew what it must have been like to be Harry in his fifth year, frightened and indignant and unable to make himself understood.

It did not do for Aurors, especially those as high-ranking as Ron, to feel helpless; it clashed with the job description. But there was nothing that could be done to quell this controversy that surrounded his name, except for possibly killing Bellowes, and that would just further tarnish his reputation.

So Ron chose the ‘manly’ approach to dealing with this problem. He sucked it up and kept quiet, listening to his daughter’s story and laughing and gasping in all the right places. If there was something that could be done about his problem, then he would do it himself, and if nothing could be done, then he wouldn’t do anything. Neither possibility involved telling anyone.

It snowed on Christmas day, and everyone in the house awoke bright and early. They had no choice, actually”sleep was no match for Haley, who raced around the house extricating people from the warm cocoons of their beds with surprising force for such a petite person.

From the outside, things seemed normal in the Potter house. Ivy played Christmas carols on the piano; Fred, George, and Haley set up enchanted mistletoe around the house that tried to follow people around; Ted and his mother attempted to help decorate the Christmas tree and ended up destroying about three boxes of ornaments in the process (Emma, recently of age and practicing as much magic as possible, took great pride in repairing them), and every single guest sported brand new jumpers in every colour of the rainbow.

Everyone was determined to make the holidays as festive as ever, mainly for the benefit of Ivy. Nobody actually knew what exactly had made life with the Malfoys so unpleasant, as Ivy almost never mentioned the Malfoys, but they could guess that Pansy was just as arrogant and bigoted as Professor ‘Zamboni.’

“Awww, you people are awesome!” Emma shouted as soon as she reached the family room. Leaning up against the Christmas tree was a brand-new broom with a red and gold bow tired around it and a tag reading ‘Vortex 97: Merry Christmas, Emma!’ “Wow, I wanted a new broom, but I wasn’t expecting one of these! They just came out on the market yesterday!”

“Don’t thank me,” said her father as she tackled him in a bear hug. “It’s your friends who all chipped in together to get it for you. I’d never get you anything that expensive.” Ron had extremely strange taste in gifts and usually tended to buy his daughter excruciatingly ugly and ill-fitting clothing, but it was the thought that counted.

Haley beamed. “Good thing you like the broom, Em. We put together almost all of our savings. And Tyrone helped a lot, too.” She winked, and, in case nobody caught the wink, said aloud, “Wink-wink.”

“Tyrone?” Ron squinted. “Isn’t that the””

Luckily, however, his daughter was spared embarrassment. Haley had just torn the wrapping paper off of a parcel and shrieked ear-piercingly, “OOH! SHOES!” drowning out absolutely anything Ron may have said.

Many new and exciting presents were received. Jordan had gotten a computer program that he could use to compose and orchestrate music, Ivy had been given a fantastic collection of books that she had never read before (she sat down immediately with one of the books, Pride and Prejudice, and was simply unable to put it down), and Ted… well, for some reason, his favourite present was a beat-up second-hand giant party-sized version of the game Twister, and he insisted upon absolutely everyone playing it with him.

“Mum, Nathanael, you’re both cheating!” he pointed out, his head between his legs. “No fair using your Metamorphmagus skills for this!”

“Um, Jordan, you’re a little close for my comfort,” Emma muttered, whose cousin was in a strange sort of half-collapsed backbend with his body arched over her.

“Well, can I help it if Dad spun right-hand blue?” he growled in response, his arms trembling from supporting him so awkwardly.

“You can’t tickle people, Edwin!”

“Aaagh, I feel like a pretzel!”

“Ow, your antler just poked me in the eye! Is that against the rules?”

“I’m too old for this!”

“Left foot red!’

“NOOOOO!”

Thunk. Crash. Bang. Plop.

“Yay, I win again!” squealed Haley, springing up to her feet and doing a little victory jig around her competitors’ sprawled-out and exhausted forms. “Let’s play one more time!”

Everyone groaned, massaging their muscles.

“I think maybe we should call it quits for now,” Ted suggested kindly. He got to his feet and popped his elbow joint back into place with a slightly sickening sound effect accompanying it. Just then, his eyes lit up like twin fireflies and he ducked behind the Christmas tree, coming away with a small package in his hands.

“I forgot to give out one of my presents,” he explained, sitting down next to Ivy. She was clearly trying to lose herself in her book, judging by the fact that when Ted greeted her, she replied in a dreamy and distant manner and addressed him as ‘Mr. Bingley.’

“Hey,” Ted said, his voice soft. “Um, I know I already gave you your present, but I got you something else, too. It’s kind of small, but… well, just open it.”

The girl set down her book, taking care to tuck a bookmark between the pages before untying the silver ribbon that topped the gift and carefully removing the wrapping paper”she never tore wrapping paper, no matter how long it took her). The day she tore wrapping paper would be the day she would run through the Great Hall stark naked and painted bright purple, singing “Glory, Glory Hallelujah,” and that day was unlikely to come anytime soon.

Under the wrapping paper lay a white box stamped with ‘ETHELMEYER TOYS, LTD,” and she lifted the lid, curious to see what sort of gift could have come from a toy store.

“Oh!” she exclaimed, and burst out laughing. It was a little stuffed wolf, with soft browny-grey fur, wide blue eyes, and the gangly long-legged and big-pawed appearance of an animal making the awkward transition from cub to adult.

“I know it’s gonna be tough spending the next couple days with the Malfoys, so I got you this,” Ted told her, smiling. “It’s to remind you of me while you’re over there. And if you don’t like that idea, then it’s Balto.”

“Thank you,” Ivy said, her expression very strange. It was a sad sort of smile, with equal parts gratitude and discomfort, and she hugged the wolf to her chest as she looked up at Ted. “I have a feeling I’m going to be needing this.”

Ted looked back at her, observing that sad but sweet smile, and how Ivy’s shoulders were shivering. He put his arms around her, passing on his warmth in the hopes that that would stop the shivering, though he knew it wasn’t because of the cold. “Don’t worry. Just hang onto Mini-Me and you’ll be all right.”

Ivy leaned back against him, resting against the crook of his arm. He was skinny and bony, but his was the most comforting presence she could imagine. “You know,” she whispered, “I think I will be.” And she lifted her head and tilted it forward until her lips met with Ted’s. He, needless to say, responded accordingly to the situation.

The two of them had, however, completely forgotten about the fact that they were in fact still in full view of the other ten or so people in the room. There was a bit of an uncomfortable silence for a moment as Ted and Ivy broke apart, but Nathanael Lupin did not seem at all bothered. He wolf-whistled loudly. “Go, Teddy!” he roared.

“Go, Ivy!” replied Haley.

“Go…somewhere else to do that, will you?” Jordan added irritably, wrinkling his nose.

But, as always, little Holly Potter got the last word. “Icky,” she remarked, pulling a face. “Cooties.”

* * * * * *


It was strange how familiar yet unfamiliar Malfoy Manor felt as Ivy stood before it the next day. It was just as grand and imposing as ever, the marble façade and columns supporting it just as immaculately white, the gardens just as impeccably and fastidiously trimmed and manicured. The same topiary serpents lined the pathway up to the door, and the same sweeping grounds surrounded the property.

The orchard of plum and pear trees was the same, her old swing still dangling from the branches of one of the trees and swaying invitingly in the breeze. She could see that the family’s four horses were grazing in the paddock out back just as before, and the same ornate wrought-iron gate and fence surrounded the property.

The fence looked pretty, but Ivy knew it was not to be touched”it was enchanted to electrocute gnomes that tried to pass onto the Malfoy property, but it wasn’t choosy about whether its victims were gnomes or not.

It truly was surreal, returning to the Manor after an absence of two years, like listening to a song she had once known by heart and realizing that she had forgotten the words.

Ivy paused to straighten her skirt before beginning the long walk toward the door of the Manor. She looked as timid as she felt, dressed in a grey cardigan and a navy blue skirt. In her hand was a single suitcase, and her hair was yanked back from her pale and pinched face into the tightest braid possible.

Raising her hand to knock on the door was difficult, trembling from head to foot as she was. A strong, irrational fear fluttered inside her stomach”what if when she knocked on the door, Pansy hexed her and slammed it shut? What if this was all a vast mistake? What if the Manor had been bought out and used for something entirely different, like a funeral parlor?

She shook her head. She was being ridiculous. The only way to know what it would really be like at the Malfoys’ was to knock on the door.

But she didn’t have to. Before her knuckles even touched the bronze, snake-shaped doorknocker, the door flew open to reveal a tiny house-elf with massive blue eyes and a nose like a pig snout. “Miss Ivy!” she squealed. “You is come back!”

“Hi, Nibsey,” Ivy replied, smiling nervously. She’d forgotten how fond she had been of all of the house-elves, sad though she found the way they were treated. “Here, I brought some chocolate frogs. Do you still like those?”

Nibsey’s smile stretched from ear to batlike ear. “You is so kind, Miss Ivy! Nibsey is not having chocolate since Miss Ivy is going away! Let Nibsey be taking your suitcase up to your room. You is finding Mistress and Master Malfoy in the sitting room.” And she bowed her head and scampered up the stairs with the suitcase.

Master Malfoy… even after Draco Malfoy had been sent away to Azkaban, the house elves had continue to refer to him as Master Malfoy in respectful memory. Ophidias’s title had always been ‘Young Master.’ But now, he truly was a full-grown man, the head of the household. Master Malfoy… it didn’t fit him. Ophidias was a follower, not a master, whereas Draco evidently liked the title so much that he’d even called himself ‘The Dark Master’ during his brief reign of terror.

Ivy stepped through the door and coughed slightly, her eyes downcast and hands clasped behind her back. “I…I’m here,” she whispered. Her voice sounded strange, as though she had turned back into the eleven-year-old she’d been when she’d last truly considered Malfoy Manor home.

Two good things could be said of Pansy Malfoy’s reception of her. First of all, she didn’t put on a show of false kindness, and second of all, she didn’t stay around for long.

“Ivy, we’ve been expecting you,” she said, climbing off of her chaise lounge to hug the new arrival. The hug was not to be confused with a welcoming gesture. One of the odd things about Pansy was that she constantly touched people, smoothing their hair, rubbing their shoulders, hugging them, but with no real emotion behind her actions. She never even attempted to appear enthusiastic about people she did not want to impress, even as she hugged them incessantly.

“You’re taller than me,” she remarked. This was not exactly an accomplishment, as Pansy was about the same height as Haley and had been shorter than Ivy since the girl’s second year at Hogwarts.

She held Ivy out at arms’ length to examine her. “Hmmm,” she said critically. “It’s a pity you aren’t very pretty. I had hoped you’d grow into your looks, but it’s apparently not to be.”
She squinted. “Not that you’re beyond hope, of course. I’m sure some good makeup can do a great deal, maybe a different hair style... and then there’s those hideous clothes you’re wearing, but that’s easily remedied.”

Ivy was not surprised to hear a word of this”rather, she’d expected it. Appearances were important to the Malfoys, and Pansy had always reminded Ivy of this when she was younger. “Don’t wear that, you’ll be the laughingstock of town.” “Let your hair down, it’s your one nice feature. “You must at least try to make an effort to care for your appearance. You’re never too young to begin thinking about these things, really.” “If you expect to get married one day, you have to make a good first impression.” Pansy herself was no beauty, pug-nosed and square-jawed, but she was always beautifully dressed and coiffed and made the most of her looks, and Ophidias was blessed with strong good looks.

Ivy didn’t know how she could have submissively put up with so much degrading talk every day of her life. She could, in fact, look quite nice when she wanted to, but at Malfoy Manor, her usually rather conservative clothes were replaced with the drabbest and most institutional-looking clothing she owned. It was her quiet way of rebellion, not that anyone else knew that.

“We will go shopping tomorrow,” concluded Pansy. “After all, you’re nearly seventeen. You’ll be needing to find a pureblooded husband before too long.” She patted her on the head in a strangely unaffectionate sort of way. “I’m returning to my room. You may stay or go to yours. One of the elves will bring you dinner when you want it. Good night.” And with those words, she was off.

Ivy sank into the depths of the sofa next to her, letting it envelope her. She felt as though she’d stepped into a time machine and accidentally traveled to a place she didn’t want to be in her life, had outgrown years before. Her cold and nonchalant reception over, she just wanted to go to bed, although it was not yet even time for dinner.

She let her eyes travel over the tastefully colour-coordinated sitting room, with its expensive silver silk curtains, grand piano, chandelier, green and black leather and suede furniture pieces… her eyes darted back to the armchair directly across from her.

She hadn’t even noticed that it was occupied, large enough as it was to swallow up a person. Its black leather upholstery blended in perfectly with Ophidias’ hooded robes, and he was barely visible at all.

Silence.

“You’re back,” Ophidias said at last, looking the girl up and down and studying her face.

“I am,” replied Ivy. Not of my own free will, of course, she added mentally.

Ophidias pulled back his hood and ran his fingers through the pale stubble growing across his scalp. “I think it was stupid for the Ministry to send you back here,” he said in that odd, quiet voice of his. It was such a strange contrast to before, when he had always spoken loudly and dramatically enough to ensure that anyone in the proximity had heard whatever regal Malfoy word he had to say.

“Well, it’s not my fault that I’m here, so please don’t get upset,” Ivy whispered back. “I know you don’t want me here”but I don’t want to be here either. We’re even.” She blinked, surprised at her own bluntness.

Ophidias seemed to agree that this was surprisingly forceful of her, because he blinked dazedly. “I wasn’t saying that I blame you,” he explained. His face contorted with anger. “It’s just, the Ministry must be about the world’s biggest morons if they think it’s a good idea to send you off to spend a weekend with two convicts. Especially when you told the whole Wizengamot that you never want to see us again. Anyone who falls for mother’s whining has got to be about as stupid as they come.”

Two convicts… dark wizards were usually proud to spend a few years in prison to support their cause, but Ophidias didn’t seem very proud. In fact, he looked as moody and shrunken as he had in the Prefects’ carriage on the first day of school.

“Are you all right?” Ivy asked, peering closely at him.

Ophidias let out a humourless laugh. “If I wasn’t, do you think I’d tell you?”

He had a point. It wasn’t like he’d be the prime audience for any of her worries or concerns, after all.

They sat in silence, just staring at one another and trying to become re-accustomed to one another’s presence. The last time they’d had a face-to-face conversation, it was the beginning of fourth year, and Ophidias was taunting Ivy’s friends with threats of how their lives would change now that his father had escaped from Azkaban.

Now it was over two years later, Malfoy was unconscious and unresponsive in St. Mungo’s, Ophidias had spend a year in prison, and Ivy had been adopted by the Potters and was largely responsible for Malfoy’s defeat. So much had changed.

Ivy cleared her throat again, a nervous habit that she was sure she’d be performing rather frequently these next few days. “Erm, I’m off to my room,” she said, getting to her feet and making her way toward the spiral staircase. She was glad to find an excuse to escape from Ophidias. He wasn’t as overtly offensive as Pansy, but something about his demeanor made Ivy feel bizarrely uncomfortable all over.

Her old room had not changed at all since she’d last seen it so long before, but she’d forgotten how completely it didn’t suit her. It was a lovely and richly furnished room, but it looked more like a hotel suite or something out of a museum than an actual living space for a teenager. Absolutely everything was immaculately clean and spotless, from the pale pink walls to the thick pile of pure white carpet. Gauzy silk curtains framed the windows, a cherry-wood writing desk and chair sat in the corner, and a matching armoire topped with a magnificent Grecian bust stood in the centre of the room. An intricately carved cherry-wood canopy bed piled with pink satin sheets and pillows was pushed against the wall, and the opposite wall held fine oil paintings and a full-length mirror.

She tiptoed gingerly toward the bed, taking care not to smudge the carpet, and sat down. Her room at home with the Potters was smaller”after all, it had been the guest room before she’d moved in”but it was definitely hers. She’d painted the walls there a soft pastel blue, and bookcases bristled with her favourite volumes. The floor was bare dark wood save for a small and rather badly-made rug she’d woven herself, and her comforter was blue and white checked. Most notably, though, the walls were absolutely covered in photos of her friends and family, pictures of animals, and posters of her favourite singers.

But if she’d been able to make herself at home in her room at, well, home, then it should be no trouble here, even if she’d only be staying a few days. She pulled out several small framed wizard photos and arranged them lovingly atop the armoire.

There was a small reproduction of Arden DuBois’s sketch of the ‘Five Plus Five;’ a truly adorable picture of Ted’s twelfth birthday party the summer after first year; Haley in a spangly leotard, tights, tap shoes, and a top hat from a performing arts camp she’d been to; Emma, Jordan, and Tyrone, all decked out in flying gear and wearing giddy expressions after winning the Quidditch cup the previous year; Ted pulling a goofy face at the camera; the entire Potter clan; the Gryffindors dressed up for the Yule Ball; herself and Ted together in both human and animal forms.

These were copies of the same photos in her dormitory at school and her bedroom at home, and they brought a touch of normalcy to her strange surroundings. As a finishing touch, she pulled the stuffed wolf she’d received for Christmas out of her suitcase and set it atop her pillow.

“Some people have teddy bears,” she thought to herself, “so this is my Teddy wolf.”

She was extremely glad that there were no Legilimenses around, because she’d just made an extremely pathetic pun.

For the remainder of the day, she stayed in her room and read Pride and Prejudice. Two house elves brought her dinner to her room on a tray, a sumptuous meal that she barely ate, and they stayed for a brief, pleasant chat.

Maybe if she didn’t spend it with the Malfoys themselves, her stay at Malfoy Manor wouldn’t be quite so bad.

* * * * * *


Breakfast with the Malfoys was a silent affair, and although the food was excellent, the crystal and silverware were beautiful, and the dining room was tastefully decorated to say the least, it was nothing compared to a noisy and raucous meal with the Potters.

Ivy thought wistfully of meals where it was typical to see Uncle Ron transfiguring a plate of bacon into bees, Emma talking loudly while eating, Holly and Jonathan throwing scrambled eggs at one another, Ted mixing together everything on his plate while Jordan picked apart every separate ingredient of his, and Haley covering absolutely all of her food with whipped cream. She missed her friends, strange food-related quirks and all.

Breakfast seemed to last an eternity with nobody talking, not even asking one another to pass various dishes”the house elves did it without even being asked. The only spoken word at all was Pansy announcing, “We are going shopping in Diagon Alley today after breakfast for both of you, so you will want to get ready.” She dabbed daintily at the corners of her mouth with a handkerchief. “Ivy, you’re in particular need of new clothing, so feel free to pick, out anything you’d like to buy.”

Ivy grimaced as she finished her omelet. She did enjoy shopping”who could honestly say they didn’t with such incredible shops as they had in Diagon Alley”but she could tell that this was not going to be anything like her usual shopping excursions.

She’d shopped with Pansy for most of her life, hearing a constant stream of, “Well, that doesn’t flatter you at all. You look absolutely ill.” “For Salazar’s sake, at least try to be somewhat fashionable. That looks like something my grandmother would pick out.” “You have horrid taste, really. We’re buying this”you’ll thank me later.”

This particular shopping trip was no different. Pansy had not been speaking literally when she said ‘feel free to pick out anything you’d like to buy.’ What she’d really meant was, ‘feel free to pick out anything fashionable that I like.’

Ivy did not care for clingy and low-cut robes, and she detested ruffles. She also was not especially fond of the colour pink, but that didn’t seem to matter to Pansy as she pawed through the designer rack at Twilfitt and Tatting’s.

“Aha, here’s your size.” She set aside a set of virulently pink, sparkly robes made of a thin and stretchy material that looked dangerously insubstantial. They would be excellent for Haley, but Ivy knew she’d only look ridiculous in them.

Pansy continued to chatter as she searched for similar robes, saying as she went, “Of course, it’s difficult to find truly excellent designer robes these days, because the latest fashion, if you can believe it, is Muggle dresses. But I’m not letting any filthy Muggle clothes into my house, even if they are wizard-made. It’s ridiculous. What self-respecting witch with enough money to go designer would”put those robes back, we’re not buying off the clearance rack”be deluded enough to wear Muggle clothes?”

She snorted. “And besides, you’d look better in full-length robes with those knobby knees and elbows of yours. Clearly from your father’s side of the family, though they suited him far better. Here, go to the dressing room and try these on.” She held out a stack of robes in various bright colours and flimsy fabrics.

Ivy shook her head. There was no way she could bring herself to wear such humiliating and flamboyant clothing. “I don’t think those are my style,” she said quietly. “And I don’t need designer robes”really.”

Pansy, touchy-feely as always, took her arms. “You don’t understand, do you?” she sighed. “You have to take better care of your looks. It’s your duty as a pureblood. We’re a dying race”the blood-traitor Weasleys, the Patils, even Theodore Nott all intermarried with Mudbloods. Blaise Zabini and Gregory Goyle never did get married, and knowing them, they probably never will. There are so few options left for you, and you need to find a pureblooded husband in just a few years. I know you’re shy, and I’m sure it’s difficult for you to talk to boys, but you simply have to. Let’s face it, you will need to dress better if you ever want boys to notice you.”

This was such a ridiculous statement that Ivy could not hold back a laugh. “Actually, I’m not, er, worried about finding a boyfriend,” she replied, flipping open the small silver locket she wore to reveal a picture of Ted’s smiling face and showing it to Mrs. Malfoy.

She peered at the image. “Who is that?”

Ivy was suddenly struck once more by how little Pansy knew about her. It was bizarre. “That’s Ted,” she explained. “He’s…” She tried to think of the right words to accurately describe him. “He’s basically my best friend, my boyfriend…” My anchor to sanity, she added mentally.

“Well, he’s not very good-looking, is he? Who are his parents? He looks like some sort of drug addict or something.”

Ivy couldn’t believe it. What could possibly make her think that it was okay to say something like that? “He is not a… a drug addict!” she protested, completely shocked by how ludicrous this all was. The idea of Ted being a drug addict was the most ridiculous thing she’d heard all week, and she’d heard Haley’s Bing Crosby impersonation. “He doesn’t look well because he’s a werewolf. It’s hard on him.”

This statement was met with rather dramatic reactions to say the least. Pansy dropped the stack of clothes she was carrying, and Ophidias’s head whipped around to face her. It was absolutely silent, and the silence seemed to strangle her as she looked back at the gaping Malfoys.

At last, Pansy spoke. “A… a werewolf?” Her voice shook in a disgustingly melodramatic way. If she weren’t a real person, Ivy would have thought she was playing her role most unconvincingly. “How dare you betray your pureblood status by spending time with a creature like that?”

Ivy, soft spoken and rather shy by nature, was not normally one to argue, but when someone was so offensive and unkind that action was required, she had no qualms about taking it. “You want me to spend time him?” she said in a deceptively tiny voice. “Just because your husband sent out one of the werewolves who worked for him to attack someone in my family, and Ted got bitten protecting my sister?”

It was clear that Pansy had not expected her to display such confidence. She looked very taken aback and stumbled over her words as she retorted, “And I suppose you think this little werewolf of yours actually cares about you? Only a dependent little thing like you could ever be hoodwinked like that. They might look human most of the time, but anyone with any sense at all knows that even when it’s not a full moon, they’re nothing but blood-thirsty, cold-blooded, part-human monsters. Whatever he was before the… accident… is irrelevant.”

This was going too far. Pansy had crossed the line between ignorance and cruelty, and there was no excuse for such talk. “You don’t even know him,” Ivy said, still in a voice so quiet that Pansy had to strain to hear it. “I’ve known Ted long enough to know that he’s… he’s completely real. In every way. He’d never try to fool anyone into thinking he cared about them, not that you’d understa--”

She covered her mouth, astonished. What had just happened? Had she really said that? Had she really accused Pansy Malfoy of being a fake, cold-blooded monster who only pretended to care for her?

Evidently, she had, because Ophidias’s skin was paler than the snow lying on the ground outside. And Pansy’s expression had surpassed shock and escalated into a distorted mask of fury.

“Do not,” she hissed, her face red with anger, “disrespect your elders that way. Ivy Cassiopeia Malfoy, this is unacceptable. If I have to put you back in your place right here, you know I will.”

Ivy did. She knew all too well. Her memory involuntarily jolted her back to another day so many years before, a day she’d tried so hard to forget…

The nine-year-old girl was late for breakfast. She trailed in long after her mother and brother were already seated, a book in hand her long blonde braid looped over her shoulder.

“Ivy Cassiopeia Malfoy,” admonished Pansy, “The table is set and the food is getting cold. Did you or did you not hear the house-elves ringing the bell?”

Ivy took a seat at the table next to her eleven-year-brother, who smirked at her as she did so. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I was reading.”

Pansy sniffed, and a house-elf came to the table to serve the family.

They ate in silence, Ivy picking at her food and pushing it around her plate with her fork. At last, she took a deep breath and said, “Erm, mother, I have a question.”

All heads turned toward her. The Malfoys did not, as a rule, normally speak during meals… or almost anytime, really. Ivy’s eyes fixed on the flickering flame of the candle in front of her; she really couldn’t bring herself to look her mother in the eye. She had enough of Pansy’s appraising stares as it was.

“Well, I was reading, and…” she hesitated. “You know how you always say Daddy went away to the North Sea… is it true that he’s in prison? Because that’s what it says in my book.”

Ophidias’s grey eyes widened until they resembled silver Sickles. “What?”

“It says that… he blasted St. Mungo’s hospital apart, and…” she choked on her words, “hundreds of people died.”

Ophidias laughed. “That’s not true, is it, mother?”

Pansy took a slow sip of wine and her sweet time before responding, but when she did, she was completely composed and collected. “Yes,” she said curtly. “Your father is imprisoned in Azkaban. It was an accident. He was only trying to take revenge on Ronald Weasley.”

The little girl squinted. “But he shouldn’t have tried to kill anyone!” she exclaimed, really getting upset now. “It’s bad! And isn’t Ronald Weasley an Auror? If he works for the Ministry of Magic, then isn’t he good?”

“Ronald Weasley killed your Grandfather Malfoy, and your father wanted to avenge his death,” Pansy replied simply. Ophidias was still wearing a face very similar to that of someone who had just been informed that he was in fact a chimpanzee raised by humans.

“Why were they fighting against each other in the war, though?”

Pansy’s expression darkened. “The Weasleys and the others from the Order of the Phoenix ,” she said, spitting out the name of the organization like a mouthful of dirt, “hated the Dark Lord and loved Muggles. They were all”and still are all”pathetic Mudbloods and blood traitors.”

Ivy had heard the phrase ‘blood traitor’ countless times, but she’d never known what it meant. It sounded horrible, and she’d always unquestioningly thought of anyone her mother had labeled as one as a ‘bad guy,’ but now she wasn’t so sure anymore. If being a blood traitor simply meant being kind to Muggles, who were really just people who for some strange music couldn’t do magic, then she didn’t see what was so bad about them. In fact, maybe a blood traitor was something she wanted to be.

“What’s wrong with Muggles anyway?” she asked.

Pansy laughed harshly. “What’s wrong with Muggles? Dear, they’re pathetic. They can’t even do magic.”

Ivy shrugged. “So? We can’t use electricity. They’d probably think we’re pathetic, too. I mean, I was reading an article, and it said there’s a lot more Muggles than wizards. Trying to get rid of them would be like getting rid of everyone who doesn’t have red hair. It would just be stupid to try at all.”

The room was deathly quiet. Pansy got to her feet, clutching her wand. “What did you say?” she demanded.

“Mother, don’t pay attention to her. She’s always crazy,” Ophidias said. Ivy blinked. Although he was insulting her as always, he was also defending her in a round-about sort of way. She wasn’t used to people sticking up for her, especially not her brother.

“I will not allow that kind of talk in my household!” Pansy shrieked. She pointed her wand at her daughter. “Do you want me to teach you a lesson?”

“Mother,” said Ivy quietly, “I don’t want to be rude, really. But I think you’ve got it wrong. I--”

Pansy’s eyes were wild. “CRUCIO!” she screeched.

Ivy was knocked backward onto the ground and white-hot pain tore through her body. It was like knives were piercing every square inch of her skin, and every bone in her body was splintering ruthlessly. Her eyes seared as if on fire, and she screamed and sobbed almost inhumanly, her howls of agony carrying to every corner of the manor. She could not breathe or feel anything but the mind-numbing pain, and the only thought that crossed her mind was, “All I want is for this to end… I don’t care how… just let it end.”

Suddenly, after what seemed like an eternity, it was over. She twitched. Was she dead? She slowly opened her eyelids, each feeling as though it weighed a ton, and she realized that she was definitely still alive. If she was dead, she wouldn’t be able to feel like there were several cantankerous elephants on her face.

The back of her head ached dully, she was jittery and sweaty from the torture, and her robes were twisted around her body. She stared up into her mother’s eyes in disbelief and terror.

Pansy was breathing heavily, her expression horribly resolute but with a flicker of fright just visible in her eyes.

“Please,” whimpered Ivy, her voice weak and broken from screaming, “please, please don’t ever do that again. Please. I promise I’ll never, ever say anything like what I did from now on. Please.”

And she was true to her word. After that day, Ivy Malfoy never again stood up to her mother and brother. Fearing another round of the Cruciatus curse, she grew shyer and shyer until she never spoke at all, frightened that she might slip and say the wrong thing.

She was subservient and quiet, following all orders she was given without question, a far cry from the curious and outspoken little girl she’d been before.

But although she was Pansy’s perfect porcelain doll on the outside, inside she was seething and bubbling like a pot about to boil over, thriving on her secret rebellious thoughts and counting the days until she could leave for Hogwarts.

After that fateful day, Ivy Malfoy could never again speak up for her own beliefs… but Ivy Potter could.
End Notes:
I don't know if you got this impression of Grown-Up Pansy from this chapter, but basically, I'm trying to make her as annoyingly fake as possible. Like she's this horribly immature, materialistic woman who never wanted kids or responsibilities who's trying to play the role of The Ultimate Pureblood Mother and isn't doing a very good job of it. Yeps.
Chapter 11: In Which Giorgi Smells A Rat, And Ophidias Isn't One by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Ah, well, here you guys go! And have lovely holidays, all of you.
“I hope Ivy’s all right,” Haley said as she dug through her closet for the bag of sugar quills she had stashed under her favourite pink tank top “I mean, it’s so weird not to have her around.”

“Yeah, I know,” agreed Emma, throwing back one of her cousin’s t-shirts that had landed on her head in the search for sugar quills. “I mean, she’s been gone for just one day, and everyone’s acting like she’s died. Of course, knowing that Ophidias creep, that’s not all that unlikely.” She pulled a face.

“Well, at least once she gets it over with she won’t have to worry about it anymore. I mean”oh, here’s my sugar quills”she was stressing out about it all year. At least she’ll be done with it when she gets back,” Haley said sagely. She popped a sugar quill into her mouth and crunched away happily.

Emma shook her head. “You and Tyrone and your stupid sweets. Tyrone’s got those perfect teeth, and you’re stick-thin. How do you people do it?” She shot her cousin a mock glare. “Give me some of those.”

“No! Mine!” Haley hugged the quills to her chest and her cousin pulled out her wand.

She smirked. “I think you’re forgetting something here. Who’s of age and can legally blast you through that wall over there. Hmmm… oh, that’s right! I do believe it’s MOI!”

Haley’s expression was not dissimilar to that of an apologetic kitten that had just realized the consequences of using the prized Persian rug as a litter box. “Here,” she offered quickly. “Have a sugar quill.”

“Why, thank you! I thought you’d never ask.” Emma said, popping a quill into her mouth.

The two of them, like most teenage best friends in one another’s company, were loud and giggly and shrieky and most likely terrifying to anyone who did not know them. But when it came to sheer volume of noisiness, they could not hold a candle to a certain Giordan Ann Anderson, who was at the moment standing in the Potters’ driveway.

“JOOOOORRRRRDAAAAAAANNN!” she shrieked ear-piercingly as she marched toward her friend. “Why didn’t you tell me you’re on Christmas holiday the same time I am? You nutter”if I hadn’t seen you sitting out on your porch, I’d never have known you were back! Soooooo, how are you doing, Wizboy?”

Jordan managed to get a few words in edgewise. “Well, I’m fine. I--”

“So, terrific, you’re fine. If you’re fine, that means you’re not dead, I’m thinking. So why don’t you email me more? I mean, come on, it’s been weeks!”

Even when she wasn’t ranting so loudly, she was impossible to ignore. She was wearing one of her crazy outfits again, this one consisting of a splendid bright gold shirt covered in ruffles that fell to he knees, draped over a hot pink tank top and purple fishnet tights. Seeing as this was very unseasonable for winter, especially with snow on the ground, she wore a rainbow coloured scarf tied around her neck and shiny lime-green boots with an unnecessarily high heel given how tall she was. Her head was topped with what looked a lot like a pirate’s bandana, and her earrings were shaped like clocks.

Although Jordan had known her for over a year, he still couldn’t help but stare every time he saw her coming.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been writing as much,” apologized Jordan, “but I’ve been so busy with class and Quidditch and my project, and I’ve not been sleeping very well, so my mind’s a bit nonfunctional.”

“Oh yeah, that Inter-House Unity thingymajigger of yours!” Giorgi exclaimed, sitting down next to her friend on the icy front step. “How’s that coming, then?”

Jordan shrugged. “Well, I’m finding out quite a lot about genealogy, which is interesting, but Cecilia and I don’t get along particularly well, especially lately.” He shrugged. “She just refuses to accept the possibility of anything that she hasn’t observed herself with scientific, quantitative proof. She won’t take anything I say on faith, and honestly, it’s annoying.”

“And you’re saying you do accept things with no proof?” Giorgi blinked. “That’s news to me. Aren’t you the one who’s always saying, ‘Giorgi, there is no such thing as hobbits,’ ‘Giorgi, you can’t survive an elevator crash if you jump right before it hits the bottom,’ ‘Giorgi, Elvis isn’t alive…’”

Jordan had a suspicion he’s be getting a lot of the same reaction in the next few months. Maybe it would be smarter just to keep his mouth shut. “It’s nothing to get excited about,” he said dryly. “I can change my opinion on things, you know.”

“But this is awesome!” squealed Giorgi, her eyes gleaming. “It means I’m rubbing off on you!” She jumped up and did a little dance, clicking her high-heeled boots together. “Yesss! I love being a bad influence! Now all you need is to stop talking like a prat!”

“I doubt that’s going to happen,” Jordan told her haughtily, though he was smiling. “I happen to like talking like a prat.” He decided it would probably be a good idea to switch the subject away from himself before he got into yet another difficult discussion. It was best to let Giorgi think that he was changing because of her. “So, how’s your school?”

Giorgi pretended to gag. “Oh, you know,” she said a bit too casually, “the usual. It’s just school, you know?”

Jordan looked closely at her, and his eyes seemed to intensify and darken slightly. “You still haven’t made any friends at your school,” he blurted out. It wasn’t a question; it was a statement, and Giorgi seemed to realize this. She shifted uncomfortably.

“Yeah, you’re right,” she said. “Which, I mean, I guess it’s okay. Everyone at my school is annoying anyway. Lots of kids don’t have any friends at school.”

But Jordan could tell that it wasn’t okay. Somehow, the vibes he was getting from her felt different… no, they didn’t feel different, it was another sense altogether, somewhere between seeing and tasting. In any case, the air around Giorgi seemed bitter and tainted with a wistful sadness. It was not unlike the way Jordan could sense the sickliness in the air just before Ted had passed out, or the strangely warm sensation in the air that he had noticed surrounding Emma and Tyrone the day after they’d been flying all night long.

Jordan, who’d never been good at understanding people’s illogical feelings, particularly his own, was now beginning to understand other people’s emotions. He wasn’t sure whether he liked this new development”it was one thing to use Legilimency to view thoughts and memories. Those he could at least comprehend. But feelings were so woolly and imprecise and difficult to interpret, and life was so much simpler if one tried to avoid them altogether.

“Are you okay?” asked Giorgi. “You seem kind of… well, you remind me of this pet bunny I used to have. He got kind of dopey and twitchy and his eyes were all glazed over. Then he died.”

Jordan snorted. “Well, thank you for that really lovely story, Giorgi. I feel much better now.”

“No, but seriously. Just then, you were all staring into space and dazed-looking like you just headed a football just a little too hard,” Giorgi told him, illustrating her point by actually smacking Jordan in the head with a balled fist, just hard enough to actually hurt.

Headed a football… Jordan didn’t know whether it was the word ‘football’ or the bonk on the head that triggered it, but a string of images flashed suddenly through his head. At least now he knew that these visions weren’t just insanity.

A field full of teenagers in purple and white jerseys and shorts, racing up and down the expanse of green so quickly that they blurred. A hulking boy in a white uniform squatting before a goal. A scoreboard showing a tie and thirty-nine seconds left to go. A ball sailing through the air. And then, a tall and skinny girl in purple bursting forth from the tangle of players, her cleats painted to look like zebra print and giraffe print respectively and her purple-dyed hair ruffling in the breeze.

The girl, diving beneath the ball and heading it triumphantly, sending it flying up into the cloudless blue sky and rocketing into the goal. The crowd erupting in victorious cheers and hoisting the purple-haired girl onto their shoulders, pumping their fists and shouting.


Jordan blinked. “You are sticking to football this year, aren’t you?” he asked as he snapped out of his brief trance.

“Er, yeah, I guess,” Giorgi replied. “I mean, it’s my favourite thing in the world, but I was thinking about maybe giving it up. I’m one of the only girls on the team, and most of the players aren’t all that nice. I don’t know if I will yet, though. Why?”

“Don’t quit,” Jordan told her seriously. “You’re going to win the finals for your school, and then you’ll be glad you stuck with it.”

Giorgi smiled. “Well, it’s really nice of you to say that. Really, really random, but still really nice.”

“You don’t understand,” Jordan told her. He sighed and closed his eyes, wishing that he knew how to perform Telemency. Sometimes, he realized, it was easier to understand things than express them. “I’m not just trying to say something encouraging to make you feel better. I’m telling you something that I… I know. I just have this… feeling…”

He realized once he’d said this that it made him sound like a complete lunatic. Perfect, just what he’d always wanted. Not.

“You’re so weird today,” Giorgi told him after a moment’s uncomfortable pause. “And I know I shouldn’t be talking and all, but you’re just REALLY weird. Like, at first, I was thinking ‘cool, he’s actually lightening up a little,’ but then you’re all serious, even more serious than usual. And then you start acting like my bunny and then you’re being super random and saying things that don’t make any sense, but in this totally serious kind of way. I just don’t get it.”

That makes two of us, thought Jordan.

To him, the scariest thing about Giorgi’s speech was that it was all true… but that he’d barely even noticed anything about his behaviour that deviated from the norm. He was already getting comfortable with the… with the slight possibility that he might be a Seer, and he wasn’t even of age yet.

He couldn’t let that happen. He probably wasn’t even a Seer”there probably wasn’t even such a thing. He was letting his imagination run away with him, and now he was convincing himself that it was true. What a Haley-ish thing to do. How much longer would it be before he forgot completely what ‘normal’ was and couldn’t even tell whether or not he was behaving completely irrationally? And how much longer would the rather lame excuse that he was about to deliver once more hold up?

“I’m sorry,” he said weakly. “I told you, I haven’t been sleeping. I must be getting delirious. If I start blabbering about things that don’t make any sense at all in my emails, just tell me that I have to go to bed, all right? I’m giving this responsibility to you because none of my other friends ever tell me plainly that I’m spouting nonsense.”

Giorgi looked at him closely, pursing her sparkly lips in thought. “You look a bit different, too,” she said thoughtfully, “and I don’t think it’s just because you’re sleepy. And it’s not like last year when you were, like, übershrimp at the beginning of the year and actually looked like a regular person by the end. It’s just something little that’s different.”

“I just got my hair cut three days ago,” Jordan suggested. “Is that it?”

Giorgi shook her head. “No, with crazy hair like yours, it doesn’t matter what you do to it.” She squinted. “No, I know what it is… it’s your eyes.”

This was puzzling. Weren’t eyes the most constant feature that there was? And hadn’t Jordan been taught that they couldn’t be transfigured or changed in any way by magic, not even by a Metamorphmagus? Even when Ted was in wolf form, his eyes were exactly the same. “What do you mean?”

“It’s kind of hard to describe,” Giorgi said slowly. “They look sort of… dark and all… hard-ish. Probably because you’re being so serious, but they definitely make you look different. You look older.”

Jordan let out a strange little laugh. “I feel older.”

* * * * * *


Ted had never taken the Knight Bus before in all sixteen of his years, and he found it to be rather enjoyable, if stomach-wrenchingly jerky. And very, very purple indeed.

He hummed to himself as the bus lurched around a corner and plunged straight through what appeared to be a solid brick wall. It was extremely handy that he bus was equipped with personal barf bags for each passenger.

He’d missed getting to ride the Knight Bus with his other friends the one time they’d gone in fourth year, for the simple reason that he was the cause of their trip. The were visiting him in St. Mungo’s the morning after he was first bitten, and although they’d been a bit preoccupied by their worrying about their friend’s health to truly appreciate the novelty of the ride, Ted distinctly remembered Haley threatening to empty her barf bag over her brother’s head if he didn’t stop reciting every single fact he knew about werewolves.

But although the method of transportation was exciting, Ted was not merely riding the Knight Bus for fun. He was going to pay a visit to a friend of his.

That morning, he’d been thinking about Ivy, cooped up with the Malfoys. Although she’d only be away for a few days, it couldn’t be particularly pleasant, and he knew he’d wish to be able to talk to his friends had he been in her shoes. After all, Ivy had visited him in the hospital, so he figured it was only fair for him to visit her at Malfoy Manor.

He imagined himself ringing the doorbell and, when the door was pulled open, smiling sweetly at Mrs. Malfoy and saying, “Hi, is Ivy there? I’m Ted. You might’ve heard about me?” The expression of bewilderment on Mrs. Malfoy’s face alone would be enough to cheer Ivy up for the next several days.

A woman in the row across from Ted uttered a stifled scream and clutched the seat in front of her as the Knight Bus rounder another sharp curve, her face deathly pale. Clearly, she was as new to this as Ted himself was. The bus zig-zagged, and a shopping bag flew out of the woman’s hand and scattered its contents all along the bus aisle.

“Ohhh,” she moaned to herself, massaging her temples.

“Don’t worry, I’ll clean that up for you,” Ted offered, giving the woman a friendly smile. “It’s my first time, too. It’s nice to see that I’m not the only one who thinks it feels like whoever is driving this bus is doing it in his sleep.”

The woman returned the smile weakly and reached into her purse for some gold. “Thank you so much. How much would you like?”

“Oh, no, don’t give me any money,” Ted protested as he scrambled around on the floor rounding up spilled groceries.

“Well, at least take some of the food,” said the woman, obviously not accustomed to charity, particularly from teenagers. “You look hungry.”

Ted laughed. “I’m sixteen. My mum says it’s normal.” He dove under a seat to retrieve a runaway eggplant. “Really, I don’t need anything.”

“It’s just, you don’t usually see boys your age offering to give a hand to old ladies like me,” the woman told him. She glanced at him, scooting along comfortably on his hands and knees. “You sure can move fast on all fours like that,” she commented.

“Thanks,” Ted replied, getting to his feet and placing the last of the groceries in the bag. “I’m a werewolf, so I guess I get a lot of practice.” He glanced out of the window, seemingly oblivious to the woman’s jaw dropping and her eyes bulging out of her skull like peeled plums. “Oh, this is my stop!” He dusted off the knees of his jeans. “Happy New Year! Hold onto your groceries!”

And he strolled down the steps of the bus, unaware that he’d just changed an old woman’s perception of werewolves forever. It had become a bit of an unconscious hobby of his.

It was lucky, he thought, that Emma hadn’t come along with him. She’d never stop laughing at what a good-goody he was. Well, maybe he was a goody-goody, but he could think of worse things to be. It was just part of his essential Tedness.

He snapped out of his thoughts and stopped in his tracks when he saw how truly massive Malfoy Manor was. True, his family, as well as the Potters and the Weasleys, did live comfortably, but compared to Malfoy Manor, he might as well have lived in a birdhouse.

The building before him looked like it should be a museum, sculpted from white marble with enormous columns, a spectacular garden, and a huge expanse of perfectly-trimmed lawn stretching mind-bendingly wide. Ted couldn’t imagine Ivy actually staying there for a weekend, let alone for the first fourteen years of her life.

He walked up the front path to the door and rapped the brass doorknocker sharply. Dun da-da dun dun, DA-DA!”

The door flew open to reveal two dull-eyed house elves, their scrawny bodies draped with neat little togas that were suspiciously reminiscent of Giorgi’s shiny gold blouse.

Ted’s smile slipped somewhat. He should have guessed that Mrs. Malfoy wouldn’t be opening her own door. Maybe this way was even better”more of a chance to use the element of surprise to his advantage.

“Hi,” he greeted the house elves. “I’m Ted. I came to see Ivy?”

The house elves’ expressions did not change. “Who are your parents?” one of them asked in a voice strangely low and proper-sounding for an elf.

“Ummm… Remus and Dora Lupin,” Ted told them confusedly. “That is, well, Dora’s short for Nymphadora, but she hates that name, and Tonks Lupin is a really dumb name, so””

“You’re not welcome here,” the other said flatly, taking a firmer stance in front of the door.

Ted was taken aback, and his first instinct was to assume the elves were kidding. “What do you mean?”

“You’re not welcome here,” the elf repeated, evidently taught to memorize his lines, not to elaborate.

“I just want to see how Ivy’s doing,” he explained. “If you don’t want me to come inside your house, I can just wait out here and you can send her down to talk to me. I seriously don’t think she’d mind… but you can ask her if it’s okay with her first.”

The elves apparently had not anticipated him to react like this. They exchanged long, bewildered glances, then one finally said, dropping all pretenses of formality, “We isn’t supposed to be letting people who isn’t purebloods into the Manor. The Malfoys is not letting themselves be speaking with them.”

“But I already know Ivy! I’ve known her for, like, five years,” Ted explained. “She doesn’t care that I’m a half-blood”really, she doesn’t. I’m not saying she has the best taste, but I know she won’t mind.”

“Mistress Malfoy knows,” the other house elf told him. “She is not liking that. She is wanting Miss Ivy to continue the pureblood line, so she is telling us to be making sure that no Mudbloods or half-bloods is wanting to talk to her. Especially boys.”

Ted gaped. This was by far the weirdest thing he’d heard in days, and he had heard Haley’s infamous “Christmas Mooseduck” song. He knew all about arranged marriages”after all, who hadn’t read at least one fairy tale about a beautiful princess forced to marry against her will? But he’d never heard of a modern teenager’s parents already preoccupying themselves with any future marriage prospects. Especially when the girl in question was still young enough to go to school. And Pansy wasn’t even Ivy’s legal guardian.

“But she’s almost seventeen!” he exclaimed. “She’s old enough to choose her own friends.”

It was then that another form joined that of the two house elves, a much taller and more formidable form belonging to a woman in opulent robes with a neat bob of black hair framing a square-jawed face.

“My daughter,” she said dispassionately, placing an emphasis on the word ‘daughter,’ “Is young enough to make foolish decisions. When she’s older, she’ll thank me for sparing her from consorting with scum like yourself.”

She looked the boy up and down, then sniffed haughtily, clearly not impressed. “And if she feels anything for you now, it’s only gratitude that someone, no matter how inadequate and below her station, notices her. She has a low opinion of herself. She’d allow any worthless layabout on the street take her in a heartbeat if he showed any interest. You’ll only be doing her a favour by never speaking to her again.”

“I’m going to see her every day at school, ma’am,” Ted told her, keeping his voice pleasant. “If she finds someone else she likes better, she can just tell me. I’d totally understand.”

He wasn’t sure why he hadn’t already given up, but being told to leave just made him more set on staying, and being informed that Ivy would be happier without him only made him want to see her more. But people didn’t… talk… like Pansy did. Not to complete strangers. Not to kids. Not to anyone. Being called ‘scum’ by the woman who had given birth to his favourite person was positively surreal.

Pansy shook her head. “She can be so much more than what you’re limiting her to be,” she spat. “Cavorting around with her inferiors… she needs to have pride. You cannot give that to her. You can’t give her anything, not even a pure family line. How could you even think in your wildest dreams that a half-blooded part-human like yourself could even being to measure up to Ivy? She’s an heiress with centuries of pureblood duty to fulfill. You’re nothing but a sad, positively clueless little… freak who doesn’t know his own place.”

These words stung as though she had sliced him open and then bathed him in lemon juice, but Ted tried not to take it personally. She didn’t even know him, after all. And it wasn’t like he planned to…taint the bloodline anytime soon.

“Yeah, maybe,” he admitted simply. “But I’d really rather hear it from Ivy. I want to hear from her what she thinks.”

“She doesn’t know what to think!” exploded Pansy. “I have to think for her! She’s been corrupted by useless filth like yourself. Can’t you see that people… no, not even people, creatures like you are destroying her?”

And just then, for some inexplicable reason, something inside Ted snapped.

He felt his body tense and his mind surrender his delusional game of treating Mrs. Malfoy civilly. He was always the easygoing one, the mellow one, the nice one, but he was responding to Mrs. Malfoy’s territorial guarding of his own girlfriend and best friend in a way unlike ever before.

“No,” he said in a harsh, serious voice several notes deeper than usual. “That’s what you’re trying to do to her.”

There was so much that he wanted to say”that Ivy was her own person, that Pansy had no control over her, that he himself would never try to force her into having anything to do with him if she didn’t want to, that Ivy was perfect the way she was, but in his anger, words seemed useless and heavy, difficult to guide all the way to his mouth.

Instead, he merely glared, his eyes blazing as brightly as Emma’s usually did shortly before she shouted a string of foul names and hexed someone into oblivion. A sort of guttural snarl escaped the back of his throat, a menacing sort of purr that combined his mind’s longing to speak and his mouth’s unwillingness to do it.

It seemed to express what he wanted to say quite well, because Mrs. Malfoy stammered, “You need to learn to respect your betters. Leave our property immediately, or I’ll have you arrested.”

“Tell Ivy I said hello,” Ted spat, almost making his words sound like a threat. For someone who was usually so utterly unthreatening and unassuming, it was odd how intimidating he could be. Always unusually tall, he now seemed towering. “And make sure to tell her what you said about me, too. I’m sure she’d like to know,” he added, and marched off down the path.

He was shaking.

He couldn’t believe his own nerve. But then, he couldn’t believe Pansy’s nerve, trying to tell him that she was responsible for someone who was not even legally her child anymore, that she was acting in his best interest by warning him that he was far out of Ivy’s league. And although he was a half-blood and a werewolf to boot, never before had he been so explicitly told that he was inferior because of it.

Ted had never tried being angry at people before”that was more Emma’s domain”and he still found it less than useful, much more likely to cause an unhappy and irresolvable conflict. But he did have to admit one uncomfortable truth.

She’d deserved it. And he’d needed it.

* * * * * *


“What is going on out there?” Ivy wondered as she turned a page in her book. “It sounds like people are arguing in the yard.”

Ophidias smirked as he passed by on his way toward his favourite black leather arm chair in the sitting room. “Looked like that stoner werewolf boyfriend of yours,” he muttered. “I guess he wanted to talk to you and he was stupid enough to tell off Mother. Nice one.”

What?” Ivy jumped up and looked out the window to see a lanky, shaggy-haired person walking off down the path with a distinct stiffness to his frame. “She sent him away? He probably just came to talk to me!”

Ophidias raised his eyebrows. “Erm, yeah,” he said. “Mother’s not exactly eager to invite all of the dirty-blooded part-human riffraff in the world into our home.”

“Ted is not””

“I know, I know, we’ve all heard it,” Ophidias groaned, holding up his hands. “Tell it to Mother. Actually, don’t, seeing as she didn’t seem to want to listen to you the first time.” He settled back in his chair. “It did take serious guts standing up to her in Twilfitt and Tatting’s, though. I guess I can see why you’re a Gryffindork.”

Was there a compliment buried in there somewhere? Ivy shook her head.

“I didn’t have a choice,” she said darkly. “I can’t just sit there and let her try and control my life. No one could let her do that.”

Ophidias’s face clouded over, his eyes bitter and resentful. He slumped over even further in his chair. “Really?” he said, staring directly at Ivy. “Because I could. I do.”

Ivy stared back at him, at his sad and drawn face, at his haunted eyes, at his shorn-off hair and weak posture, and suddenly, it dawned on her, something she’d never even begun to consider before.

“You don’t believe in what she says, either, do you?” she gasped, peering at him.

“You think?” Ophidias said darkly, his expression not changing. He let out a hollow laugh. “Well, you’re obviously smarter than Mother, long as it took you.”

“I… I don’t understand,” Ivy whispered, her eyes widening. “You’ve always agreed with her before. My first four years at Hogwarts, you--”

“I know exactly what I did,” Ophidias shot back. He seemed to have a hobby of cutting off her statements. “Maybe I never really thought about it before. I mean, my thing is following orders.”

His lip curled.

“‘Ophidias is so good at Potions, he always follows directions so perfectly,’” he mimicked in an odd little falsetto. “‘Oh, Ophidias is a model pureblood, continuing all the sordid little traditions.’”

Ivy was totally confused now. “What does this have to do with””

“Don’t ask questions,” Ophidias snapped. “Look, I’m not special at anything, I’m just good at doing what I’m told. I always did what Mother wanted, and when Father wanted me to be an Overseer, I didn’t even think about it. I just wanted to make him happy.”

He’d gotten up from his chair by now and was pacing around the room, sharply tracing his steps over and over again. This was obviously something he did often.

“You remember how it was before Father went to Azkaban. You were his little golden child, his little angel. I was the one who wasn’t good at flying, who didn’t want to talk about money, who got bored at all of those dinner parties. You never had to worry about living up to any expectations because you were the first Malfoy girl in ages. I was supposed to fill Father’s shoes, and I couldn’t do it.”

Ivy thought back to the days before Draco Malfoy had been sent off to Azkaban, trying hard to dredge up her hazy memories. She’d been four at the time, but she remembered bedtime stories, learning to trot on her horse, walks through the garden, being pushed on the swing, going to the candy store, being tickled until she laughed herself silly, riding high above the world on a pair of strong shoulders, hearing that familiar phrase, ‘You’re getting big! Shooting up like a regular Ivy plant!’

And she remembered the way he used to scold Ophidias for falling off his toy broomstick, for crying, for dropping the Peverell crest china plate, for using the wrong fork, for not standing straight enough…

There was a Malfoy family tradition, and Draco had been as adamant for Ophidias to fulfill the role of a pureblooded boy as Pansy was for Ivy to fulfill the role of a pureblooded girl. She’d never thought of it that way before.

“But here’s the thing,” said Ophidias. “When I ended up in jail, I suddenly just sort of realized, I’d forgotten about the…orders that are way more important than some stupid family tradition. I mean, I’d broken the law.”

He closed his eyes, wincing.

“I mean, here I am, Prefect, model student, and I’m in jail. There were murderers in there, and these really evil people who did things too disgusting to even think about, and then there’s me… it’s like, which of these things is not like the other?”

He shook his head. “You have to stop and think”these things are against the law for a reason. It can’t be okay to try and get rid of all of the ‘inferiors.’”

Ivy wasn’t sure she felt entirely… comfortable with the idea of Ophidias being a Reformed Character. It was like Haley becoming a nun, or Jordan becoming a hippie. She’d always seen Ophidias as a spoiled, narrow-minded jerk and nothing more, but he must have been terrified out of his wits sitting there in prison at age seventeen and wondering how he could have possibly gone so wrong.

“Why don’t you just talk to… er… your mother?” she asked, unsure of what exactly to call Pansy.

“No,” said Ophidias. “I can’t. I’m too stupid. Or too scared. I mean, Father never liked me, and I don’t want Mother to hate me as well. At least, not right now.” He sat down again, looking at his hands. “Things were so much easier to handle when we were little and we used to go trick-or-treating with Mother and Father,” he sighed. “Do you remember?”

Ivy nodded. “They used to take us all around the neighbourhood, and we used to laugh and eat sweets and scare each other, and the house-elves always made the best costumes. And I only eve wanted to be a princess.”

Ophidias laughed, that same hollow laugh again. “You would only remember those parts,” he muttered. “But I guess you were too little to remember what was going on. Don’t you remember what they used to say?”

He slipped back into the same falsetto voice. “Oh, Muggles live in that house. You don’t want their sweets because they taste nasty. There are Mudbloods over there, watch out for them because they act like they’re wizards just like us, only inside they’re really just like Muggles. Ooh, see that scary mask that man’s wearing? He’s dressed up like a werewolf. They’re really scary because they look just like normal people, but when it’s a full moon, they turn into horrible monsters like that. But even when they look like normal people, they never stop being monsters.”

He snorted. “Don’t you even remember that? It’s always stuck with me. It’s so easy to take that kind of stuff when you’re little. But then you grow up and you sort of start to wonder why you ever bought it in the first place.”

He looked so crumpled and forlorn that Ivy felt the need to do something to comfort him, as awkward as she felt. She crossed over to him and took his clammy hand in her smaller, warm one.

“I know what you mean,” she said. “Believe me. But… listen, you’ve got to let other people know you’ve changed your mind on these things, or people are never going to respect you. I had the same problem when I came to Hogwarts, only worse. I still get called ‘The Little Malfoy Girl’ all the time.”

“I know,” Ophidias replied, “but…I don’t know, it’s weird. I’ve got this reputation, and it’s so weird to try to change everything. I just need some space.” He cracked a smile, his first genuine smile so far that weekend.

“I never thought I’d be getting advice from you,” he said dryly.

Ivy smiled back. “Believe me, I never thought I’d be giving it.”
End Notes:
Ophidias will be getting less emo. Don't worry. Also, the 'r' key on my computer is broken. It's so hard for me to type!
Chapter 12: In Which Charybdis Is Nott Happy by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Ahhh, I love winter break! I got like over a hundred dollars worth of iTunes money from various loving relatives for Christmas, so I've bought myself like a million showtunes, and more Broadway cast albums than you can imagine.
The first day back from Christmas holidays, everyone was relieved to discover that Professor Zabini was absent again to work with the Ministry. This was a very good thing indeed, seeing as Zabini had a habit of springing pop quizzes on unsuspecting students their first day back from a break.

Astonishingly, though, two of the only students who were actually doing work were none other than a certain Harriet-Lily Potter and Anatoly Capshaw, both infamous slackers. Although ‘work’ was perhaps not the best word to describe what they were doing; after all, even with all of the Inter-House Unity project meetings they had held, they had never actually done anything that could have qualified as actual ‘progress’ on the project.

Try as they might, Haley’s ludicrously short attention span, Anatoly’s deranged creativity, and both of their propensities toward insanity had led them to instead spend their work sessions doing things like roller-skating through the corridors after curfew and walking up to random people in the hallways with a toy microphone, saying things like, “Well, Ursula, you’re a Communist. Give us your opinion on marsupials,” or “Well, Jordan, you’re ugly. Tell us about what you think of the cultural phenomenon that is the Pop-Tart.”

So needless to say, they were becoming a touch anxious about the fact that they’d already wasted four of the even months they had to complete their project.

“I have a novel idea,” suggested Anatoly, cracking his knuckles in a businesslike and somewhat gross manner. “How about we do some work today?”

Haley clapped her hands over her mouth in mock shock. “No? Do work? In school? That’s just completely unfeabisle!”

“Unfeasible,” corrected Anatoly, reminding her annoyingly of her twin. Why wouldn’t anyone let her invent her own words, for crying out loud? Shakespeare did it, after all.

The boy leaned back in his chair, tilting it onto its back legs. “So, what shall we do for our brilliant and groundbreaking project that will doubtless shatter Professor Zabini’s prejudices and convince him that we are not only charming and stunningly attractive but also ingenious?”

“Way to use run-on sentences,” Haley noted. She stroked an imaginary beard. “We can do a documentary thingy on how people from different houses act with each other,” she proposed.

Anatoly nodded appreciatively. “Excellent suggestion indeed. But do we actually know how to produce this opus?” He often spoke like this, not with the articulate integrity of Jordan Potter but in sarcastic tones that made it clear he was only using his vocabulary for the purpose of humour.

“Yeah,” said Haley. “Remember when I made that movie about my brother singing in his underwear?”

“Vividly.”

“Well, there are spells you can use to record stuff like a movie. I had help from my cousin Edwin on the Jordan movie , and he’s graduated, but my, erm, friend Lee’s always good with this kind of thing.” Haley did not exactly feel the urge to divulge the fact that she kept an enchanted diary that contained the personality of her long-dead grandmother. It tended to put a bit of a damper on conversation.

Anatoly smiled, prominently displaying a chunk of bread stuck in his braces. “A documentary it is, then,” he announced, smacking the table like a judge missing his gavel. He held his hand up as though presenting a microphone to an imaginary person. “So, Charybdis, you’re a git and an altogether horrible person! Can you tell us your views on a one-way trip to Salem, Massachusetts circa the late seventeenth century?”

His expression shifted suddenly, a rather disconcerting trait of his, and his face went from light-hearted and laughing to vengeful. “I really can’t stand her, though,” he said quietly, jerking his head over toward Charybdis, who was shivering with laughter over some undoubtedly foul cartoon she and one of her friends had made.

Haley’s nose wrinkled. “Yeah, she’s really not nice. I mean, I saw her telling some first years the wrong way to go on the first day of school”and she’s a Prefect and all.”

Anatoly snorted. “Pshyea, well, so am I, but you don’t see me acting all goody-goody and shining apples for my professors, either. I drive my parents up the wall”they’re accountants. No further explanations needed.”

“Oh, they don’t like the whole long-hair-and-laughing-at-authority thing you’re trying to pull off?” asked Haley. “Because I could totally understand if you’re doing it to annoy them. It sounds like something my brother would do if our parents were uncool.”

“That and the fact that I go to a school for wizards.” Anatoly knocked on Haley’s head as though expecting to hear that it was hollow. “It’s certainly oodles of fun for them when their boring Muggle accountant friends want to know what young Ani’s planning on doing when he gets out of school and I let them know that I’m planning to work in the wizarding field.”

He chuckled to himself, a surprisingly deep and warm sound in contrast to his usual dry, sardonic speaking voice. “My parents aren’t especially fond of ‘eccentrics,’ as they like to say. And of course, they love me, but I make it my business to do six eccentric things before breakfast each morning.”

‘Eccentric’ was a good words for him. Haley thought to herself that he should never under any circumstances be permitted to meet Giorgi Anderson, or the world might explode from too much eccentricity concentrated into one spot.

“Oh, did I tell you about my grandparents?” Anatoly exclaimed, his ever-shifting face making the transition from wry humour to excitement.

He spread his arms dramatically and spoke in a voice that sounded a lot like a presenter on a cheesy children’s television programme. “Both sets of my grandparents were hippies way back yonder in the mystical bygone era of the 1960’s. All four of them were inseparable pals, like insane Muggle hippie versions of the Hogwarts founders, and they all met at one of those peace and love rallies they used to hold back when such things were considered fairly sane.

“Some friendly lunatic would stand in a public place and start singing a song like ‘Give Peace a Chance’ or ‘All You Need Is Love’ or ‘Imagine,’ and gradually, loads of bored hippies would come out of the woodwork and sing along and hold hands and pass diseases in massive human chains all around town. This was their idea of fun, apparently.”

“Hey, I’d like that,” protested Haley. Anything that involved singing in public sounded all right to her.

“I’m sure you would,” Anatoly replied condescendingly. “So, eventually, they paired off and got married and each set had kids who were hideously embarrassed by their parents and thusly decided to rebel by running off together and becoming boring accountants and starting a family with no eccentrics whatsoever. And then I came along instead. The end.”

He took an elaborate sweeping bow upon the completion of the story of his family history. Although he did not receive thunderous applause, he was accompanied by the sound of the bell ringing and marking the end of their unproductive period of Potions. Chairs scraped at the tile floor, and book bags were snatched up and refilled.

Over the noise, Haley called, “Listen, we should talk about what to put in our documentary. Meet me in the Muggle Studies room like usual, after dinner, okay? Hasta la pasta!”

And with that, she skipped off down the hall to catch up with Emma, unaware that a certain nasty Slytherin girl had overheard her and would be using what she now knew to her own sinister advantage.

* * * * * *


Blissfully unaware of any underhand plots that may have been occurring, Haley had a very enjoyable day, for the most part.

They’d learned about Thestrals in Care of Magical Creatures, which were her favourite animals (she’d been able to see them since the age of three, due to the fact that she’d watched her Uncle Ron thwart an attempt on her father’s life by several former Death Eaters in a skirmish that caused the end of Lucius Malfoy and Fenrir Greyback’s lives.)


They were starting a unit on horoscopes in Divination, and she was delighted to discover that ‘major and spectacular’ events were due in the near future for Aquarius, her sign. True, Jordan shared the same sign”the downside of having a twin”but she could live with that. She’d gotten her daily dose of vindictive pleasure watching her brother attempt to decry the validity of his horoscope only to discover that its last line read, “You must be careful today, or you will come off as a fool employing skepticism where it is not due.” The expression on his face had been priceless.

Speaking of ‘priceless,’ she and Emma and Ivy were discussing how many millions of Galleons they could make off of a hypothetical invention that would allow people to accurately see what they looked like from behind. The girls were so caught up in discussion as they strolled the halls chatting and giggling and saying things like, “No money back if you discover that you have a really ugly bum” (that was Emma) that they almost ran into Professor McGonagall.

“Oh! Sorry, Professor!” apologized Ivy, taking a step back.

“We weren’t talking about your bum,” blurted Emma.

McGonagall looked serious as she straightened her glasses. “Girls, I need to speak with you about something.” She gestured toward Haley and Emma. “Follow me, please. I””

She paused, pursed her thin lips in thought and finally said to Ivy, “You come as well. You can be as much trouble as your friends when you want to be.”

Ivy would have taken this as a compliment if it weren’t for the fact that she had no idea what she and her friends had allegedly done. She rarely got into trouble, and she couldn’t think of anything she could have done that was so serious that the Headmistress herself was confronting her. So she was understandably nervous as she followed the Headmistress up several flights of stairs, glancing every now and then at her equally bewildered-looking friends.

“Er, Professor,” puffed Haley as she jogged up the stairs, “I really don’t mean to be rude, but what’s wrong?” They seemed to be moving toward the Muggle Studies classroom, where she’d been planning on meeting Anatoly for her project in a few minutes.

McGonagall stopped outside the door to the classroom and pointed stiffly and sternly toward the interior.

A length of robe dangled from an indeterminate point in the ceiling, and Madame Patil was bending over a boy who was sitting on the floor, breathing shallowly.

“What,” McGonagall demanded, “is the meaning of this?”

“That was just what I was going to ask… ma’am,” replied Emma, tacking the word ‘ma’am’ onto the end of her phrase to avoid having points taken away from her house for impolite behaviour.
“You have crossed the line,” said McGonagall, “between mischief and malice. While it is one thing to… to broadcast an, er, unusual video recording in the Great Hall, it is another entirely to intentionally humiliate Mr. Capshaw in such a way.”

Capshaw? Haley gasped slightly and looked around McGonagall to see that the boy who was sitting on the floor was, in fact, Anatoly, already waiting in the Muggle Studies room. She was confused beyond belief now. “I’m sorry, but I really have no clue what you’re talking about, Professor,” she insisted. “What happened?”

“When Mr. Capshaw walked into the classroom this evening, presumably because you had invited him to work on your project together, he stepped in a magically rigged rope snare. When he was found, he’d been hanging upside-down for quite some time, and the blood was rushing to his head. He will be safe, but he could have died!” McGonagall’s mouth was very thin, and her eyes sharp and harsh, and she looked very displeased indeed.

The three girls looked at one another. This was ridiculous. True, they loved pulling pranks, but this was completely unlike them.

“We’d never do anything like this!” Emma argued, planting her hands on her hips. “I mean, we do pranks sometimes, but we’d ever actually hurt anyone! Do you actually think any of us would try something this dirty?”

“I don’t mean to point a finger, but who else could have possibly done such a thing?” said McGonagall. “Whoever it was must have known that Mr. Capshaw planned to enter this room, and it had to have been a Gryffindor. None of the other houses have a deep enough rivalry with Slytherin to do something like this.”

Haley gasped as though McGonagall had just smacked her in the face, or insulted Michael Ball. “I didn’t do anything!” she squeaked. Her eyes darted around the room and found Anatoly, his breathing pattern beginning to return to normal. “Tell her I didn’t do it!” she hissed.

It was one thing to be caught for something wrong that she had done, but there was no way she was letting herself be punished for something in which she’d played no part. She crossed her fingers that Anatoly would come to her defence. After all, he had heard her choose not to stick up for him when Emma had been less than tactful toward him earlier in the year. This might be when he took his untimely revenge.

But Anatoly took a deep, steadying breath, and said, “Professor, I know Haley didn’t do it. We’re friends.”

Friends? Haley was fully aware of the disbelieving looks on everyone else’s faces”she’d never actually mentioned Anatoly to her other friends other than saying ‘I’m going to go work on my project’”but she realized it was true.

They really had become friends, and she was both proud and happy to be addressed as one. To even her own surprise, she wasn’t ashamed to admit that she enjoyed the company of an eccentric and deeply uncool Slytherin.

“It was Nott”bet my bottom Galleon,” muttered Anatoly. He picked up a piece of parchment from the ground and waving it about flamboyantly. “This was stuck to my foot, and in my opinion, it’s what I would call a ‘dead giveaway,’” he said drily, holding up the parchment, displaying its bold writing for all to see:

“STUDY THIS MUGGLE.”

Haley shook her head. It was sad how incredibly ignorant people could be. Who would be cruel enough to do such a thing? Well, obviously Charybdis Nott, and she could tack Pansy Malfoy and possibly even Professor Zabini onto the list, but it was appalling nonetheless. And it wasn’t even remotely funny. She was sure Charybdis could have done better. Even Jordan had a better sense of humour.

“I do believe I’m bleeding,” muttered Anatoly, rubbing his ankle with his finger. He held it up and examined it speculatively. “Hmmm. Well, what do you know, it’s red! Egad! Funny, I thought it was supposed to be mud.”

McGonagall looked completely astonished to hear a student being so flippant about such things. “Well, I must confess I’m shocked. I’ve never heard of anyone playing pranks like his on a member of his or her own house. I’ll go speak to Miss Nott about this immediately. Girls, you may go, and I… I apologize for jumping to conclusions.”

Emma and Ivy breathed sighs of relief and turned to go, but Haley hesitated. “I think I’m going to stay here for a little longer,” she said, nodding toward Anatoly. “You go on without me.”

Her friends looked confused and somewhat disapproving, but they simply shrugged and nodded and said their goodbyes as asked. (Although Emma did linger in the doorway making embarrassing kissing faces for a few seconds afterward.)

When they were gone, Haley sat down next to Anatoly. “So, you okay, ducklin’?”

“Yeah,” he said. “I’m fine now. Freaked out, yes, and murderously angry, but for the most part, fine.” He blinked momentarily. “Ducklin’? Did you just pull that pet name out of the air?”

Haley sighed. “Yep. I think it suits you. But seriously, how should we kill Charybdis Nott?” she asked.

Anatoly rubbed his chin. “I’m thinking smother her in dung, then deep-fry her alive, but anything’s fine with me. Be creative.” His expression turned dark. “She’s said almost everything nasty that there is to say to me, so I guess she got bored and decided to actually do something.”

“That was the lowest of the low, though,” Haley stated. “I mean, I thought she was mean to me. It must stink to be you.”

The boy gave her a twisted smile. “No, actually, Charybdis aside, it’s fairly awesome to be me. Mainly because I’m fairly awesome, really. And really, most of the other Slytherins aren’t that bad. For the most part part, I don’t usually want to disembowel them that much”even Ophidias Malfoy’s leaving me alone now. Charybdis Nott and her minions are the only ones who just won’t get off my case.” He paused and waggled his eyebrows. “Maybe she thinks I’m cute.”

Haley laughed openly, knowing that he wouldn’t be offended. He was obviously kidding”she knew him well enough to have realized that whenever he uttered a statement that could be construed as arrogance, he was almost invariably just being sarcastic. And Anatoly knew as well as anyone else that though he may have had many lovely qualities, being cute was certainly not one of them.

“Seriously, though, I know people say that I’ll talk to anything but moves, but I at least try to like everyone. I’m just sick of people being mean for no reason.” Her voice was somber and subdued, jarringly more grown-up than usual. She was, after all, more intelligent and mature than the impression she normally made, her insightfulness overshadowed by her hyperactivity. “We were all laughing at your crazy hippie grandparents, but there are way worse things to be than people who are all about love and peace.”

“Yeah, I’d love to see John Lennon just fly in through the window on a broomstick and save the day. Bam.”

Haley froze. “John Lennon comes to save the day… Anatoly, you’re a genius!”

“Congratulations for figuring that out, but why only now?”

Haley grinned in a manner that made her look thoroughly and distinctly mischievous. “We,” she said slowly, “are going to do the best Inter-House Unity project ever. And there’s going to be more to it than just the documentary.”

* * * * * *


It had been a long, hard day at work, and Ron was all too glad to be stumbling into the lift that evening. All he had to do was make it to the lobby and Apparate home, and then he’d be able to rest for the remainder of the evening.

He’d had about enough of Hadrian Bellowes, nosy reporters, and trainee Aurors getting into nasty mix-ups involving a yeti, six Austrian accordion players, and an undercooked spinach-gouda omelet. Naturally, these trainees had been under Ron’s instruction, a fact that did not go unnoticed by Bellowes.

The man was absolutely insufferable lately. A jibe or two at a coworker was okay from time to time, but intentionally trying to ruin his career and reputation? It was downright unprofessional. And unfair.

In fact, Ron recalled, it wasn’t the first time Bellowes had done something like this, either. Quite awhile before, when Emma had only been three years old, Bellowes had attempted to start almost the same controversy. But a well-timed attack by former Death Eaters on Harry’s life, which Ron himself had thwarted, made Ron a national hero, and suddenly nobody wanted to listen to conspiracy theories about his past.

And apparently, Bellowes had almost forgotten about his slandering campaign until recently, when Ron’s heavily publicized comment about Bellowes forgetting his trousers made the trouser-less Auror himself a laughingstock. And that time, his plan had worked just fine, thank you very much. Fine, that was, for Bellowes. For Ron, it was far from it.

The doors to the lift slid open, allowing another passenger to climb on board and break Ron’s reverie. Indeed, this did more than just break the reverie. It shattered it into millions of tiny pieces. Tall, dark, and sinister, the black-cloaked figure who had just boarded the elevator was none other than Professor Blaise Amadeus Zabini.

“Zabini!” Ron blurted. “Aren’t you supposed to be terroriz”I mean, teaching over at Hogwarts?”

Zabini sneered, a very typical gesture from him. “Not today, actually. Haven’t you heard of the volunteer work I do monthly with the Mimosa Phelps Foundation? With the Ministry, it is groundbreaking research, after all.”

“Hmm,” replied Ron, unimpressed. From his experience, people who bragged about their volunteer work with charities usually did very little except look for new ways to gather attention. But he was rather intrigued by the name of the foundation. He had never heard of this foundation”and he was quite high up in the Ministry, not to mention that his own brother was the Minister”but although he didn’t recognize the foundation, he did recognize the name.

Mimosa Phelps had been in Gryffindor, a year younger than Ron himself. She hadn’t been especially outgoing, and he was sure he wouldn’t have remembered this name if it weren’t for the fact that she’d looked a bit like Ginny and people often confused them. Ron recalled that Mimosa had died just a few years after leaving school, but he hadn’t remembered her having an incurable illness or anything. Why would there be a foundation in her name?

“Can you prove that that foundation actually exists?” Ron challenged.

Zabini snorted. “No need to be paranoid, Weasley, we’re not a terrorist organization. I seem to recall that you’re rather well-known for acting before thinking… killing innocent men… does that ring a bell at all?”

“So now you’re jumped on Bellowes’ bandwagon?” Ron replied hotly. “Just to see me get in trouble, I expect. Everyone knows that you would have joined the dark side if you had the choice. Why stick up for Snape?”

“I would never join the so-called ‘dark side,’” spat the Potions teacher, raising his head with dignity. “For some reason, when dimwitted people hear that I despise Muggles, they nearly always assume that I’d be suited to joining a band of people who are happy bowing down to a supreme lord and accepting punishing Muggles as a ‘crime’ rather than as a good deed. I want the wizarding world to realize that Muggles are a detriment to society. I don’t really want to be thrown in prison.”

“Funnily enough, I don’t either,” snapped Ron. “And look, you don’t need to give me your life story. I don’t want to hear it right now, to be honest.”

He rubbed his aching temples. Speaking of ‘life story,’ this was the story of his life. Just when he thought he could rest, Zabini had to get on the elevator and get all argumentative on him. Typical.

Zabini’s sneer twisted into a smirk, his other predominant facial expression. “What goes around,” he said slowly, “comes around.”

“And what’s that supposed to mean, then?”

“It means, Weasley,” Zabini enunciated, “that you can’t honestly expect to get off with no consequences after you kill a man. Taking a life is serious. You won’t receive any of my sympathy.”

Ron felt his ears turn red. “That’s rubbish! There’s no way to tell which side Snape was on!” He became uneasily aware of the fact that he was practically shouting by now.

“But do you honestly think there was even a possibility that he was on the dark side?” Zabini asked smoothly.

“Yes,” Ron shot back, “he was the Head of Slytherin, wasn’t he?”

Zabini was an intelligent man, and he did not misinterpret this statement for a second”he knew as well as Ron did that it was a snide personal insult. “The Head of Slytherin. Hilarious,” he said, his eyes flashing. “Oh yes, all Slytherins are evil incarnate. I’m sure that the twenty-five percent of the British wizarding population that you’ve just insulted would find that absolutely hysterical.”

He folded his arms. “Snape was too clever to work for the dark side, at least, not for long. But you wouldn’t know anything about cleverness, would you? You’re a Gryffindor. You can’t see anything but black and white.”

There was a faint ‘ding!’ as the doors of the lift opened, and Zabini gave his hat a sardonic tip. “Well, that’s my floor,” he said, and floated out of the elevator.

Once the doors had closed, Ron slid down to the floor and leaned his head back against the elevator wall. What had just happened? He wasn’t quite sure, but he was sure that Blaise Zabini was one strange man.

* * * * * *


Ted was waiting at the door outside Ivy’s Ancient Runes class, having had a free period and nowhere in particular to be. “Bonjour, Mademoiselle,” he said in a truly atrocious French accent while delivering an elaborate bow that nearly caused him to lose his balance and fall on his face. He took several of the heavy books from Ivy’s stack and tucked them under his arm.

“I’ve always wanted a French butler,” Ivy remarked. “But really, you don’t need to carry my books for me. I can manage.”

“Oh, no, I need this,” Ted replied, his tone making it perfectly clear that he was not even remotely serious. “I have to lift weights now and then if I want to keep these fantastic biceps of mine.” He flexed an arm that greatly resembled a limp spaghetti noodle with a hand attached to the end, and Ivy laughed.

“So,” she said, “Emma says that she saw Professor Zabini in the corridor today and he looked like he wanted to rip her head off. She thinks that””

But Ted never did find out exactly what Emma thought about Professor Zabini. At that moment, a girl marched around the corner and headed toward the pair, her amber-coloured eyes narrowed in displeasure as she fixed them on Ivy.

“You,” Charybdis Nott hissed overdramatically, “What did you do to your brother?”

“What happened?” Ivy asked, genuinely worried. “I didn’t know you cared so much about Jordan.”

“Not Potter!” spat Charybdis. “Your real brother! Ophidias! He isn’t talking to me, and he’s being so…quiet and boring and… just weird! And when I asked him what was up with him, he said ‘ask my sister.’ What did you do to him?”

Ted spoke up. “He’s probably just mad at her for helping the Aurors arrest him. He was in Azkaban with a bunch of hardcore criminals and stuff, and he’s still pretty young. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s kind of freaked out.”

“Don’t take it personally,” added Ivy. “Ophidias probably doesn’t really want to talk to you about his feelings”that’s just how he is.”

Charybdis pulled out her wand. “Take that back, blood traitor,” she demanded, edging toward her. “You act like you’re the only person worthy to talk to him, but you’re nothing! You’re just a pathetic little swot! I actually have family pride. I’m in Slytherin. I’ve known Ophidias since I was eleven, and now you’re saying he doesn’t want to talk to me?”

By now, Ivy was very close to the wall, Charybdis’s wand directed at her. “You and your brother, your real brother, are purebloods, but you act like a filthy Mudblood, and now it’s like it’s rubbing off on Ophidias as well. I’m not going to sit back and watch him turn into a disgrace like you. I--”

But before she could utter a single incantation, an extremely strange thing happened.

Ted’s head snapped around, and in two quick steps, lengthy strides with a rangy sort of grace that the normally ungainly Ted had never before possessed”he was between the two girls. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Words seemed alien and foreign, and language meant nothing to him.

“Move,” Charybdis ordered, prodding Ted’s chest with her wand.

The boy’s face distorted into almost a cruel parody of itself, his nostrils flared, eyes fiery slits, eyebrows knitted, lips curled back from bared teeth. He wore an expression of inhuman rage, anger that until then, he’d never borne toward anyone. And inside, he felt completely unlike himself as well. The anger filled his body, disallowing any human thoughts or sane and sensible emotion. He felt simultaneously simpler and stronger, bold and invincible in his actions yet completely horrified by his feelings.

And then, without warning, he lunged forward toward Charybdis, brutally knocking the wand from her hand to the ground with a rough and forceful swing of his arm. His face was inches away from hers as he backed her up toward the corner, looming over her like a long, thin shadow.

He bent down toward her, and when the tip of his nose was nearly touching hers, he growled, a deep and guttural noise that emanated from a part of his voice that had never before come into use. It was an eerie and unearthly sound that would make the hairs stand up on the back of anyone’s neck, including Charybdis’.

She was as white as a sheet, and her mouth formed a stunned ‘o,’ her wand lying forgotten on the ground. Unsure of what this strange new Ted would do to her, she took two uneasy steps sideways.

CRACK! Her wand snapped in two in a shower of green sparks.

“You… you freak!” she howled. “Oh my god, Lupin! Look what you did! What’s the matter with you?” She stared at him for a second, then turned on her heel and fled off down the hallway.

Ted blinked, and suddenly, he was himself again. His body and features relaxed, his mind cleared, and the blinding anger that had filled him melted away. He was just as frightened and confused as Charybdis herself”he had no more idea than she did what on earth he’d just done. It was completely unlike him.

“Ted?” came a soft voice from behind him.

He flinched. The slightest things seemed to set him off these days. “Oh… Ivy…” he said, knowing that if he had been in wolf form, his ears would have flattened and his tail would have hung between his legs. He felt hideously embarrassed that Ivy had seen him behave so strangely.

The girl seemed to realize this and said nothing but, “Er, we should, um, get to our next period. We have Care of Magical Creatures together.” Ugh. Care of Magical Creatures. Ted could just imagine Charybdis Nott hanging him upside down with a sign that said, ”Care For This Magical Creature.”

“Right,” agreed Ted, laying his hand gently on her shoulder. Involuntarily, Ivy stiffened at his touch, and Ted took his hand away. “Sorry,” he mumbled quietly.

Now even Ivy was frightened of him. It was bad enough when people who didn’t know him treated him like an unexploded nuclear warhead just because they’d heard about his ‘condition,’ but this was entirely different.

“Come on, I’m not going to hurt you, you know,” he said, trying to sound casual as he turned to look at her. “I, er, don’t know what happened back there with Charybdis Nott, but I was just trying to protect you. It’s just something I do, like with Haley and the werewolf in fourth year, or when Ophidias tried to shoot that curse at you in third year. I can’t let people I like get hurt when I’m around. It’s just… my thing.”

But he knew there was more to it then just trying to protect her. True, when he’d leaped between Haley and the werewolf, he’d thought of nothing but stopping the werewolf and did not even pause to consider his actions. His mind had just gone on autopilot. But although that had indeed happened, there was something strange, something violent and weird about the way he had behaved this time. He hadn’t even felt like… well, like Ted.

“Why did you growl in her face like that? That wasn’t exactly normal,” Ivy asked, her eyes wide with concern.

Ted shrugged a rather troubled expression crossing his face. “I was really mad at her, and I wanted to say something, but I couldn’t think of anything, and sort of a growl came out instead. I know I don’t usually freak out like that, but it’s the first time something like that’s ever happened.”

Actually, he realized almost as soon as the words left his lips, this was not the first time he had lost control. He’d also growled at Pansy Malfoy the week before. That time, the anger had not been so rigid and all-consuming, and he’d managed to control himself much better, but it had happened all the same.

“Madame Patil said that the insulin potion I’m taking has some side effects, and that they’re worse with the Wolfsbane potion. I know she said one of them’s mood swings or something,” he concluded, trying to reassure himself as well as Ivy. He smiled weakly. “Basically, what I’m saying is, I don’t want you to be scared of me, all right? I can handle myself, and I don’t like to see you get worried.”

He wasn’t absolutely positive that he could, in fact, handle himself, but there was nothing that bothered him more than an anxious, upset Ivy, and he could stand telling a few white lies to preserve her happiness.

She hugged him. “I’d never be scared of you,” she told him softly. “I know you too well.”

“You’d never be scared of me?” repeated Ted, resting his chin on the top of her head.

“No, of course not!”

“Even if I was singing?”

Ivy laughed. “Maybe a little disturbed, but not scared.”

Their sweet moment was, however, short-lived. Just a few moments later, as the two of them were about to walk out onto the grounds for Care of Magical Creatures, they were met by Professors Granger-Weasley, Zabini, and Longbottom.

“Hello!” Ted greeted them brightly.

The professors looked far less cheerful. “Mr. Lupin, I’d like to speak with you for a moment,” Professor Granger-Weasley said seriously, going businesslike as she always did when displeased. She was usually more like a friendly aunt, and this was when Ted realized that all was not well. “Miss Potter, you may go.”

Ivy nodded and, with a reluctant glance over her shoulder, departed, leaving Ted with the teachers. Ah, thought Ted. I think I know what this is all about. And I can see why Ivy wouldn’t want to stick around.

Zabini stepped forward. “Mr. Lupin, I was just informed by Miss Nott that you backed her up a wall and… snarled in her face…causing her to accidentally break her wand. Is this true?”

All heads were turned expectantly, awaiting to see if the Ted really had done what Zabini said he had, or at least admitted to it.

“Erm…yes,” Ted admitted bashfully, wishing that Zabini had not worded it in such a way. He was making him out to be so… vicious. “But Charybdis was threatening Ivy. I had to protect her. I, um, guess I didn’t really think.”

“She does not need ‘protection!’” Professor Granger-Weasley snapped. “She’s a very talented witch who is perfectly capable of defending herself. And frankly, Mr. Lupin, I am astonished. You’re a Prefect. You should be setting an example for the younger students.”

Professor Longbottom spoke for the first time, gliding his wheelchair smoothly between the two other professors. “Charybdis Nott’s a Prefect as well, though, and she was just punished a few days ago for what she did to Anatoly Capshaw. To me, it sounds like she’s trying to stir up trouble.”

“Nonetheless, what Theodore did was wrong!” insisted Professor Granger-Weasley. Ouch. His full name. This had to be serious. “And wands are very expensive. Some sort of punishment is in order, and I won’t hesitate to deduct points from my own House in such circumstances!”

“Yes, I agree that”” Zabini trailed off and slowly turned to look at the boy, squinting in thought. After a dramatic pause, he said, “You are turning seventeen in less than six months, correct?”

Ted nodded. He didn’t see how this could possibly be relevant, but at least the Potions master wasn’t shouting at him.

Zabini turned toward the other two in his company and declared, “Clearly, this incident was unavoidable, and I see no reason to punish him.”

Professor Zabini didn’t want to see a Gryffindor suffer? This was highly atypical, and judging by the other two teachers’ reactions, they felt much the same way.

“He should write Miss Nott an apology,” suggested Professor Longbottom.

Professor Granger-Weasley shook her head. “He’s never gotten into trouble before, and first punishments at Hogwarts are generally harsh to discourage future trouble-making. I don’t want to play favourites, and if he were any other student, he would receive detention.”

It was uncomfortable for Ted to be talked about as though he was not there, and even more uncomfortable that he was being talked about as though he’d recently been arrested for murder.

“Who’s holding general detentions tonight?” asked Professor Longbottom.

Ted shuddered. He’d heard about general detentions before”detentions for things students did outside of any particular class. Usually they were with the caretaker, Andreas Gauge, and involved some kind of painful and messy chores. Though Ted had never personally had detention, Emma and Haley had often regaled him with horror stories.

Zabini’s lip curled. “You’re just like you were in school, Longbottom. You can’t remember a thing, can you? Remus Lupin is doing general detention duty today, just like on every other second and fourth Tuesday of the month.”

Ted blinked. “Wait, I’m going to detention with my dad?”

Professor Granger-Weasley nodded curtly. “Er, yes. I’m sorry, but rules are rules.”

“That’s all right, I understand,” Ted assured her, and he was half-telling the truth. He did understand, but he didn’t exactly feel all right about trying to explain to his father what had come over him.
End Notes:
GASP! What will happen next! Oh, incidentally, everyone who likes Potter's Pentagon should totally go read my Christmas one-shot, "Hanky Panky." You can find it on my profile or on the Contest Submissions section under the Melting A Winter Heart challenge.
Chapter 13: In Which Ted and Merlin Chat With Some Professors by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Surprise, guys! I'm back! Sorry about the hiatus. It really shouldn't happen again. I don't even have a good excuse for this.
“Hello, Ted,” Professor Lupin said cheerfully as his son entered his office that evening for detention.

“Erm, hi, Dad,” Ted replied, nervously flicking his fringe of his face. He was not used to getting in trouble” having known Haley and Emma for years, he was mostly just used to trying to prevent trouble from happening. But what he had done that afternoon was so completely unlike him that he didn’t know what sort of treatment to expect.

“Well, Professor Zabini agrees with me that it’s ridiculous to give you a detention, but Hermione thinks it’s for the best,” said Lupin, sitting down at his desk. “So that’s why you’re here, and you’re my only victim today, so I won’t have to keep up any stern, teacherly pretenses.”

“You mean you’re not mad at me?” Ted spluttered.

Lupin laughed. “Of course not,” he said. “What happened in the hall today wasn’t your fault.”

Ted felt like hunting around for a cue tip to clean out his ear. He couldn’t have heard that correctly. “Dad,” he said, disbelief evident on his face, “it was definitely my fault. I’m not surprised Charybdis broke her wand”I’d probably step on mine, too, if someone randomly went up and growled in my face like that.” His bony shoulders slumped. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately. Just little things sort of set me off. I mean, I’m not usually like that.”

“Don’t worry,” the Professor said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “I was expecting something like this to happen sometime soon.”

Ted squinted. “What do you mean?”

“Well,” sighed Lupin, “This is quite a long explanation that I should have given you before, but I never really got around to it.” He shifted uncomfortably. “I guess I always tried to believe what the experts have been saying for centuries”that it’s all nurture, not nature, and that it wouldn’t apply to you because you’re just you...”

Ted’s forehead wrinkled. “Er, Dad… I’m not following this.”

His father sighed again. “I’m sorry. I just don’t know how to say this. Now, I have to tell you”this is not scientifically proven at all. It’s just a theory about certain… behaviors… that most wizards have just dismissed as something preventable.”

This sounded worse than the diabetes talk. “Go on,” said Ted, noticing that his voice was shaking slightly.


“You know, wolf cubs are fairly sweet and playful, like puppies. It’s when they mature that they get to be more dangerous. You’ve been a werewolf for a bit over two years, and it’s always been easy for you to control yourself, right?”

“Er, yeah…”

“But you’ll come of age in June,” he continued, “and now that you’re almost a man, the wolf is maturing and becoming more dominant as well.”

Ted blinked several times, trying to make sense of this. “You mean that since I’m almost of age, the wolf is kind of showing up even when it’s not a full moon? But it’ll stop when I turn seventeen?”

“No,” Lupin said quietly. “No, it’s just starting. There’s a reason why wizards come of age at seventeen. You’ve probably heard this so many times before, but on a wizard’s seventeenth birthday, he comes to his true magical potential. That doesn’t just mean casting spells. It also applies to… special situations. Believe me, you’re not the only person at this school who’s come to me for this reason. For example, your mother couldn’t completely control her metamorphing skills until she turned seventeen. The same goes for vampires. And… Seers…” He coughed slightly for some unapparent reason. “And werewolves turn more wolfish once we turn seventeen. In the six or so months before your seventeenth birthday… things start to change.”

He smiled a bit sadly. “Take it from somebody who should know. Once you’re seventeen, your senses and instincts start to sharpen like they do right before a transformation, and it’s not unusual to get more aggressive and territorial, especially around the full moon. Tomorrow’s a full moon, that’s probably why you lost control in the corridor.”

Ted’s mouth hung open. This could not possibly apply to him. And there was no way something like this could be permanent. He would be like this”no, worse than this, as he wouldn’t even turn seventeen until June”for the rest of his life? No wonder he’d always been so much more comfortable with his ‘condition’ than any other werewolf he’d met. It was because until right then, he’d never known what it meant to be a werewolf, not really. It was certainly a lot more than just getting a little fuzzier each full moon. From what he was hearing, it was a lifestyle.

“Why didn’t you tell me this before?” Ted asked quietly. “What if I really hurt someone because I didn’t know what was going on?”

Lupin looked extremely tired. “Like I said, it isn’t proven, and I assumed that you wouldn’t be… all right, Ted, I’ll be honest with you. I wanted you to be able to be a normal teenager. I didn’t want to consider that that would change. And I didn’t want to scare you, either, especially if you didn’t have any trouble at all.”

“Being a werewolf is taking over my life,” Ted mumbled

“What?”

Ted chewed his lip, trying to think of the right words to describe how he felt. “It’s like… everything I do has something to do with being a werewolf. Like, when I helped stop Malfoy, I was a wolf. Half of everything that happened to me last year was ‘cause I’m a werewolf, like how I got to know Arden and the stuff with me and Ivy and her becoming an Animagus for me, and going to catch Tancred Apple. And this year… well, Mrs. Malfoy hates me because of the whole part-human thing, and… now all of this, and it’s like I don’t even get to be me anymore.”

He drew in his shoulders. “The thing is, I really am sick of always being sore and sleepy, and looking like I just crawled out of some grave or something.” He paused and looked up at his father, and his blue eyes were round and sad. “Dad,” he said softly, “I don’t want to be a werewolf.”

“Neither do I,” said Professor Lupin, his matter-of-fact manner spoiled by the catch in his voice. “And I would probably give literally anything to see that you weren’t one, either. I don’t like to talk about this sort of thing, but you have no idea how I felt when I learned you had to suffer everything I’ve had to go through. I just wanted you and your brother and sister to grow up normally without having to worry about all of that.”

Ted rested his chin on his hand. “How do I control myself?” he asked. “I really don’t want to hurt anybody.”

“Well, it seems like there are two camps”werewolves who turn their anger outward to the world, and those who turn it inward toward themselves. Most teenage werewolves don’t even notice the changes,” his father told him, sounding as though he was teaching a Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson on werewolves. It was actually kind of funny, like a cheesy Human Growth and Development video from the eighties where the wise teacher has a talk with the frightened and confused adolescent.

“I don’t need to tell you that puberty’s a big enough change as it is, and teenagers are usually already irritable enough that they can’t even tell that there’s anything else going on. But you’re different, and you’ve always been observant, too. If you just use common sense, you’ll be all right. You know better than to hurt anyone.”

But as comforting as these words were, Ted wasn’t sure that they were true. There hadn’t been time for common sense when he had shoved Charybdis against the wall and growled in her face. It had just sort of… happened. He had no difficulty whatsoever being a monster, and that scared him. But he wasn’t exactly eager to explain that to his father.

“You do have an advantage, though,” Professor Lupin said. “You were fourteen when you were bitten, not a little boy like I was. You grew up thinking of yourself as a person, not a freak, and I think the most important thing is, you kept your healthy attitude even after you were attacked. It should be much easier for you to deal with all of this than for those who were bitten when they were small.”

This sounded hopeful. Ted’s father had never seemed particularly wolfish, and he certainly was not aggressive, and now his father was saying that Ted had an advantage over him.

“When I was almost seventeen, Sirius tried to read out loud a poem that I wrote about a girl named Alexandria Cromwell who I used to like,” said Professor Lupin, smiling reminiscently. “Normally, I’d just sit there feeling sorry for myself while I watched him make a fool out of me, but that day, I just snapped and I dive-bombed him right there in the Great Hall and… well, I beat him up. He was so stunned, he didn’t even try to fight back.”

Ted had to laugh. He couldn’t imagine his mild-mannered father fighting anyone, let alone someone who was as much bigger and stronger than him as Sirius Black.

“I still can’t believe I did that,” chuckled Professor Lupin, “but once you get used to the wolf side of your personality, it’s much easier to control.” He paused in thought, trying to think up a comparison his son could understand.

“Remember your first transformation, when you first felt like a wolf, but you were able to handle it after you reminded yourself who you are? That’s what this is like. You just have to tell yourself who’s boss.”

“So you’re saying,” the boy said slowly, “that it’s not like I’m turning into a wolf, it’s just that the wolf that was already there is acting up a little more than before?”

Lupin nodded. “Yes,” he affirmed. “You’re not any less of a person than you were before. You’re just more of a wolf. That’s extremely important, Ted.” His eyes turned serious.

“It’s a difficult balance to maintain. Some werewolves even lose their human side almost altogether because the wolf part of them is so strong that they just give into it. They start to hate all humans, and let their aggressiveness overtake their human intelligence and better judgment. They’re feral werewolves, like Fenrir Greyback was. And then, there are the werewolves who are so good at suppressing their anger that they simply turn it to sadness and self-loathing because they hate who they are and what their condition has done to them. They’re lucky because they can be useful to society and sometimes even stay undiscovered, but they’re unlucky because they just slip into deeper and deeper depression all of their lives. And the unluckiest of these werewolves… will die young, helpless, and alone.”

His eyes were shining with tears, and Ted had to look away. His father rarely spoke to him about this sort of thing, and it was really strange watching him get emotional like this.

“Is there a door number three?” Ted asked gently.

His father blinked. “Excuse me?”

“You know, a third choice? Other than turning into a rabid maniac or a miserable loner?”

He thought suddenly of Arden DuBois, who must have been nearing her seventeenth birthday herself. She was just beginning to gain confidence in herself as a werewolf, while he’d never been lacking in it in the first place. But now, he felt unsure of himself all of a sudden. He couldn’t help but wonder how Arden was coping with all of this.

Lupin smiled sadly. “I’ve never heard of a werewolf who isn’t one of the two to some degree, not really. But it honestly would not surprise me if you’re the first one to lead a completely normal life.”

“Hey well, what about you?” asked Ted. “You live a normal life!”

“I have a fantastic job and a wonderful family, yes,” said his father, his smile fading away slowly. “But too many horrible things have happened to me in the past to let me be a normal person. You’re special, though.”

Ted grinned sheepishly. “I’m just a regular guy,” he insisted.

“Exactly,” said Professor Lupin. “You’re a happy, well-adjusted person. That’s unusual enough among teenagers as it is, let alone werewolves. But you also have so many gifts- even if you don’t always turn in your Defense Against the Dark Arts homework on time. You understand feelings far better than most people”according to your sister, she wishes more men had that talent”and you’ve shown kindness and understanding beyond your years. A little bit of extra aggressiveness shouldn’t make you dangerous, not by a long shot.”

Ted looked down at his hands, rough and chapped with blue veins visible in his skinny wrists. Very improbably, seeing as he was around six-and-a-half feet tall, he felt very small.

“This is so weird,” he remarked in a voice that was as tiny as he felt. “I mean, I usually just go with the flow… I don’t mind change. But if I’m changing enough to hurt people… I mean, that’s scary.”

His father met his eyes. “You know,” he mentioned offhandedly, “it’s a proven fact that werewolves are supposed to be very romantic.” He tried to sound serious, but there was a distinct underlying humour in his voice. “Wolves mate for life, after all. And by the way, wolves are extremely loyal”we care a lot about protecting… well, sometimes when I’m not really thinking, I can’t help but think about protecting my pack. That’s what you were doing when you cornered Charybdis Nott, wasn’t it? Protecting Ivy?”

The boy nodded, relieved that he was not the only one whose mind worked that way. It was good to know someone who had been through what he was going through now, even if it was weird that it was his father.

“I don’t think your friends have anything to worry about,” Lupin concluded warmly, “and neither do you. You’ll be able to keep it under control.”

Ted smiled, and it was sincere. His father was usually a pessimist who saw his own lycanthropy as a curse, and he himself was usually ‘Mr. Sunny-Side Up,’ as Emma called him. If Remus Lupin thought his son could handle the onset of wolfhood alongside the onset of manhood, then things were sure to be fine.

He picked up his quill and dipped it in a pot of ink. “So, Professor,” he said brightly, “what lines should I write?”

* * * * * *


“Self-transfiguration is the coolest thing I’ve ever done in school!” exclaimed Haley, who now sported extremely long cascades of curly blonde hair. “I mean, it’s kind of hard, but it’s awesome once you get used to it, don’t you think?”

“Fwahahahahaha!” replied Emma, who suddenly had some fairly lethal-looking fangs as she lunged across the desk.

Haley blinked. “I guess I’ll take that as a yes?” She shook back her newly blonde locks. Although she liked her own straight black hair, she’d always wondered what she’d look like with fairytale princess hair. Now she knew, and she had to say she liked the effect.

“You actually look kind of good with long blonde ringlets,” Emma commented around her fangs, with an appreciative nod. “A lot better than Capshaw does, anyway. It really makes your eyes stand out.”

“You really think so?” asked Haley, batting her eyelashes to emphasize her eyes, although she wasn’t sure she wanted her fashion sense admired by someone who had chosen to transfigure her lovely straight teeth into fangs. “Dahhhhling, you are too, too kind.”

Emma looked at her, cocked her head to the side, looked over at Jordan, then back at Haley. “You know,” she remarked, “I don’t think it’s just the hair, actually. I’ve never notice it before, but you and the evil twin don’t have the same eyes.”

“Yeeeeeah,” said Haley, furrowing her forehead in the futile attempt to raise one eyebrow. “My eyes are in my head, and Jor-jums’s eyes are in his head.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Emma told her. “His are way darker. I always just thought yours were the same because your dad’s got green eyes, too, but”” She trailed off when she noticed the unusual stream of objects being flung onto her desk.

First, a paper airplane made out of a failed essay. Next, a green eraser that smelled like pears, bearing the insignia, “ERASER MART.” Then an ancient tuna fish sandwich in a Ziploc bag, sprouting fuzzy mould. Next, a boy’s muddy and sweaty sneaker, size 11¾. Then a Peter Pan snow globe.

“What the…?” she exclaimed, whipping around to see what had caused this shower of strange and disgusting items.

Behind her, Tyrone Thomas was lounging casually, his feet (one of which was bare) propped up on top of his desk and his customary grin plastered across his face. He gave Emma a strange little wave, wiggling the six fingers he suddenly had on one hand. “Hey, Ems! Love the fangs!” he said brightly. “Check it out, I’m the six-fingered man!”

Emma snorted. “Nice,” she said, nodding appreciatively at his piece of magical handiwork. (Ha, ha. Hand-iwork. Get it?) “Why six fingers, though?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” smirked Tyrone. “It’s like Count Tyrone Rugen, the super-evil six-fingered man from The Princess Bride?”

“Count who from the what?”

The boy recoiled in horrified shock as though Emma had just informed him that she was hungry for some puppies. “The Princess Bride,” he said in a low, mystical whisper, “is the greatest film in the history of the world. You can’t… you can’t call yourself human if you haven’t seen it.”

When he saw Emma’s blank face, he sighed. “I keep forgetting that not many wizard people watch films. My dad’s Muggle-born, so we watch a lot of them… yeah, I’m a total geek about that kind of thing.”

“And pretty much everything else.”

Tyrone wagged an angry finger at her. His sixth one, to be precise. “Hey,” he admonished, “fantastically gorgeous people have feelings, too, you know.” He shook his head slowly. “Tonight, you and me are going to the Room of Requirement, and we’re going to watch The Princess Bride. Together. Period. There’s no way to get out of it, so don’t even try. I mean, death’s no excuse for missing it… I’ll just, like, lug your stinking corpse in and prop it up or something. Dunno.”

He was babbling now. Emma gave him a half-smile. “Well, since you asked so politely,” she shrugged. She fiddled with her hair, pulling up into a ponytail away from her face and securing it with the shoelace from the sneaker that Tyrone had thrown onto her desk.

“Once condition, though”after the movie, we’re going flying again. And if I don’t like the movie”and I’m pretty sure it’s going to stink worse than your shoe here with a sappy name like The Princess Bride. ”then you have to come to Hogsmeade with me tomorrow to make up for it so we’ll at least get to do something cool.”

“Deal,” agreed Tyrone. “Only if you do like the movie”and there’s no way you won’t unless you’re a idiot or an android with no heart”then we’re one-brooming it.” He wiggled his eyebrows. “That means we’re going to share that new broom I helped buy for you for Christmas, and I get to steer. After all, I paid. I deserve to try it out. And we’re going clear through the Forbidden Forest.”

“Deal,” Emma told him, putting on her game face, and they spat on their palms and bumped fists in mutual agreement.

At the same time, Jordan looked up from the essay he was writing, his forehead puckered in a characteristically serious frown. It wasn’t just because of the shockingly unhygienic saliva coated fist-bump that had just occurred. There was no way in the world he was letting Tyrone and Emma back into the Forbidden Forest. He’d seen in his dream clear as day that his cousin would die in the forest, and he had absolutely no desire for it to happen that night. He saw it replaying over and over in his mind, day after day until he thought he was going to explode.

He knew that all of this Seer business had to be nonsense, and there was a one-in-a-million chance that Emma would have anything bad happen to her, but in the slight chance that he was a Seer, well, he didn’t want to risk it.

He simply could not understand why the two of them did such stupid things sometimes, especially together and especially on school nights. But he couldn’t just tell them, “You can’t go in the forest because surprise, I think I’m a Seer and I had a vision that says so.” He still was not comfortable with the idea of any of his friends knowing about Professor Lupin’s theory about him, and besides, weren’t there simpler ways to prevent them from going into the forest?

He would merely meet them at the door of the Room of Requirement that night with a distraction. That would keep them. Merlin had said that it was possible to change the future; even Merlin’s real visions were not always accurate, after all, and if he did a good enough job of keeping watch, there would be no need for Emma to deal with even a tiny scratch. Perhaps he could even recruit other people to help him do the job, different shifts and posts.

Suddenly, a familiar voice rang through his head. It was Haley, but different, older, more mature. It was the voice of the glamorous adult version of Haley, who he’d seen in his first strange dream that summer.

He recalled clearly one sentence in particular that she had uttered: “Everyone pretty much hates you, especially for what happened to Emma Weasley, but you can redeem yourself.”

He had to do this alone. If anything went wrong, he wanted to be able to take full blame for his own stupidity and cockiness in his attempts to twist fate. He’d taken on ambitious projects before, many of them, but this one might truly be a matter of life and death.

And the scariest part was, no one else could know.

* * * * * *


An endless list of names and titles scrolled down the screen of the giant television set, accompanied by soft music. The ending credits for The Princess Bride were rolling, and Emma Weasley was wishing for more.

“Admit it,” Tyrone said, poking his companion in the side. “You liked it. I think I even saw a tear in your eye at that one part.”

Emma snapped her fingers as though she was an FBI agent whose cover had just been blown. “Okay, okay,” she groused, “I loved that movie. But you’re wrong about the tear. Though I could have sworn I saw you wiping your eyes on the couch cushion.”

She hugged her knees, which were clad in baggy yellow silk pajama pants covered in a print of popcorn. On top, she wore a Chudley Cannons jersey, and her ponytail was still secured by Tyrone’s shoe string, though he had made up for this by wearing one of her own shoelaces tied in a big bow on top of his head.

“You know what?” she remarked. “That guy from the movie, Westley? He was awesome.”

“Well, yeah,” replied Tyrone affably. “He’s the best. I like the scene where he poisons that short, Sicilian bloke with the lisp in the battle of wits. And I like the machine that sucks out people’s lives, though that might just be because the six-fingered man named after me made it.”

“Westley wasn’t too bad to look at, either. I thought his mustache was kind of cool,” Emma acknowledged.

Tyrone’s eyes lit up like as though he was a three-year-old in a sweetshop. “Aha! You said it! You secretly love mustaches, don’t you?”

“Oh, it’s no secret that I like mustaches,” Emma shot back. “It’s just your stupid bit of fluff on your top lip that annoys me, really. I’m sure that if you had a mustache, it’d be great and all, but you don’t.”

Tyrone rolled over. “That was cold,” he said, giving her his best puppy-eyed pout of all time. “Don’t be hating on the mustache.”

“There’s no mustache to be hating on!” Emma insisted gleefully, sticking out her tongue.

Tyrone put his hand to his heart and flinched. “Ow, that hurts,” he said. “To make up for that one, you’re grabbing your Vortex 97 and we’re one-brooming it through the forest.”

Emma smiled. “I could think of worse punishment,” she told him, nudging him in the side. And the two of them set off down the hall together, protected by a magically forged hall pass allegedly from Emma’s mother, eagerly anticipating their moonlit broomstick ride.

So where was Jordan? What had become of his heroic plan to stop the pair of them before anything happened? He was asleep, sprawled out by the dormitory door like a squirrel freshly killed by a sixteen-wheeler.

It wasn’t his fault, really. ‘Those’ dreams just seemed to happen to him, and he’d never woken up before the definite end. And now, once again, he’d slipped into a dream, from which nothing, not a herd of mad bison, not a brass band parade, not a jackhammer, not even Haley could rouse him until it was finished.

In the dream, a man paced catlike back and forth, his shoulder-length red hair swirling behind him. A sturdy, compactly-built individual, he moved with grace, authority, and purpose, even in his current rather distraught state.

He did not break his smooth, even stride, even when a sharp knock sounded at the door. “Ah, Merlin,” he said. “Please, come in.”

“Thanks, sir,” replied a dark, wiry boy in his late teens, stepping through the door and into the light. His head was bowed respectively, his thick black hair falling across his shoulders, but his dark and clever eyes were turbulent. Clearly, much more was going on inside his head than he wished to acknowledge to the general public.

The red-haired man stopped pacing and nodded toward Merlin upon his entrance with just as much respect as the teenager showed toward him. Although he was a few inches shorter than the boy, who was far from tall himself, he seemed larger than life, full of strength and charisma. He was certainly the kind of man who no one dared call ‘Shortie.’

“Have a seat,” he offered, gesturing toward a chair while remaining standing himself. He was obviously a man who constantly had to be in motion, a person of action. “Now, I’m sure you know why I’ve sent for you.”

Merlin nodded. “I think so, Professor Gryffindor. Professor Slytherin’s walked out, right?” His voice was soft and low, almost questioning, but Jordan could tell that any uncertainty in his voice was merely a product of politeness. One glance into his eyes was proof enough that he had all the answers.

“Yes, yes he has,” sighed Gryffindor, his yellow-green eyes troubled. He rubbed the well-trimmed bristles that accentuated his strong chin and jaw. “I feel horrible for allowing it to happen. I never though one of us could leave the others… I mean, Salazar is… was my best friend.” His perpetually active fingers now raked through his red-gold mane. “I should have paid closer attention to the warning you gave us a few years ago. I was just obstinate enough to believe that it would never come true.”

“You did what you could,” Merlin said gently, taking it in stride. “The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.”

Gryffindor looked confused. “Excuse me?”

Merlin gave him a sheepish little smile. “Sorry, I was quoting again. A Scottish poet named Robert Burns is going to write it in a few centuries… I really need to stop doing this. I like Scotland, you know. Sometimes, I wish I could live at Hogwarts all year.”

“Yes, I do know,” agreed Gryffindor. “And that’s the real reason why I asked you to come here tonight. Rowena, Helga, and I were discussing how talented you are and how fond you are of Hogwarts, and I suggested that you would be an excellent replacement for Salazar.”

Merlin was silent for a moment, considering this. He looked bashful at the praise he’d received, despite the fact that he was clearly a person who clearly received a lot of it. “Sir,” he said at last, choosing his words carefully, “I am very honoured. I may not agree with Professor Slytherin on many issues, but he’s a brilliant and admirable wizard, and I’m flattered to be considered as a replacement. But…”

He cupped his chin in his hands and slumped over in his seat, and it was suddenly striking how very young he looked. It was easy to forget about his youth amidst the tangible aura of knowledge and understanding that radiated around him. His entire character was a discordant mish-mash of teenage awkwardness and the self-assurance of wisdom.

“I… I don’t always relate well to other people my age,” he admitted quietly, flicking a strand of hair out of his eyes. “I feel like I know them all so well, almost in the kind of way I know myself… but I can’t seem to find a way to let them understand me. I’m not like them.” He looked down at his hands, looking vulnerable and uncomfortable. “I’m different, really different, no matter what time period I use as a frame of reference. There are so many remarkable, unique people before me and after me, but I can’t see myself in any of them, at least not that I’ve seen so far. I don’t fit in anywhere, especially not here.”

Gryffindor looked astonished to see his young prodigy looking so unhappy. “Surely you’re exaggerating. You’ve always had so many friends, and you’re so bright that it would be a shame for you not to teach.”

“I do have friends,” agreed Merlin, “and I like them a lot. I know they like me back, too. But there’s nobody who really knows who I am, how I see things. Because I think they think I see things like… well, like normal people do.” He paused. “And I know I sound whiny, but it’s lonely,” he said, almost casually, “understanding everything and having no one to understand me.” He laughed bitterly. “There I go again. What a stereotypical teenager thing to say. But it’s still true.”

The boy drew his cloak around him, although the room was not cold. “I’m just not good at explaining things to people.” He looked the teacher straight in the eye, and his eyes were so hardened and full of knowledge and experience that even Gryffindor looked intimidated. A shadow passed over the boy’s face, and he curled his fingers until his knuckles turned white. “I just wish that I could find the key to Telemency. It would make it so easy to show people what I know. If I can find a way to transport a person through thin air, why can’t I transport a thought? In the future, they’ll have telephones and the internet to transfer data, so why can’t I transfer it between human minds?”

Gryffindor crossed toward him, and the balance between the two of them shifted again. Now, the scene was of a confused young boy and his strong and worldly mentor, not of a man overwhelmed by the young genius on display before him. “But Merlin, you are astronomically talented. It would be tragic if your gifts weren’t used to teach others.”

Merlin looked up at the professor. “Oh, I do plan to teach,” he said, his voice strengthening. “I can remember the future, you know, and I know how my life’s going to go, at least based on the choices I’ve made so far. It’s my duty to teach the next king of England what I know about magic, make a sort of bond between Muggles and wizards. The king’s going to make the perfect kingdom, and the plans were made before I was. I’m part of the story.”

He slipped back into apologetic teenager mode, the grandeur of his previous speech leaving his face and his voice. “Professor, I really don’t mean to offend you. Teaching at Hogwarts with you and two of the other Founders is, well, a chance that I know most wizards can only dream about, I really do… but I have other plans. Well, I mean, the future has other plans for me.”

“We need a teacher who is as charismatic and clever as Salazar to fill his shoes, and it’s urgent that we find one quickly,” Gryffindor stated, his normally deep and booming voice hushed. “The school’s already beginning to fragment. Students in Salazar’s house are starting to turn against my own house’s pupils, and they need to be brought back together before the damage can be mended.”

Merlin shook his head. “There’s nothing I’ll be able to do,” he said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck as he moved toward the door. “Not anymore. The tides have already started to turn… as they say. But don’t worry.” He turned around to face the professor, wearing a small, hopeful smile.

“Some things are best left to future generations.”
End Notes:
I hope I still have some reviewers left after this huge hiatus.
Chapter : In Which Jordan is Unnecessarily Dramatic by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Welcome to yet another fascinating chapter! In case you forgot, "Duckling" is Anatoly's nickname... Anyway, the song is "Crystal Ball" by Keane!
The Valentine’s Day Ball that Hogwarts held each year was always an anticipated event, and a week beforehand, things were already getting awkward and giggly. Everyone was plotting and conspiring as to who would accompany them to the ball, what they were going wear, and how they were going to learn to dance in time to impress their dates. Everyone, that is, except for Jordan.

He’d never been fond of social events in general and dancing in particular, and his biggest pet peeve of all was that his prized Quidditch team was never very eager to practice when they were distracted by the imminent dance. Emails to Giorgi were in order.

Jordan opened up his inbox to see a brand new message from his Muggle pen pal.

To: sgtjpepper@magicworks.co.uk
From: rainbowbrite04@interweb.co.uk
Subj: Sports and Random Stuff

Hey, Jordan!!!

Well, I actually listened to you for once (CRAZY, right?!?!)and stuck with football this year. I think I said this before, but since my school’s really small, there’s only one team (girls and guys mixed) so it’s mostly blokes. We had our first match yesterday, and our school won!!!!! I didn’t get any goals for the team, but I did get three assists.

The other people on my team are still mostly annoying, but that’s why people come with fingers, right? To stick in our ears and go LALALALALALALALALA!

SoooOOOoOOOOOoo, speakin’ (typin’?) of sports, how’s the Quidditch thing doing? You know, that looks super-weird written like that. I still can’t get over the fact that you like to fly around on a broomstick like the Wicked Witch of the West in your spare time. It really looks like it would hurt your bum, but you seem to like it. (Then again, you’re a mutant.)

Oh yeah, your birthday’s next week, isn’t it? Seventeenth, too… ooh, our little Jor-jums is growing up!!! I’m going to have to get you something awesome. Or really embarrassing. Whatever it is, I’ll give it to your mum, and she can send it over with an owl or whatever.

School is boring and I still hate Trigonometry. When do you actually use all those stupid triangles in real life???

Never, unless you’re some whackjob who lives in his mum’s basement and recites pi all day, that’s when.

At least my Trig teacher’s loads nicer than my EVILLL maths teacher that I had last year! This guy’s really young… and kind of cute, though you didn’t hear it from me.

The important thing is that unlike Mr. Soggy Toupee from last year, he doesn’t make fun of my hair, possibly because his is green and spiky and JUST EXTREMELY AWESOME!!!!!!

Still, your school sounds waaaay cooler than mine. I might have to stab you with an isosceles triangle out of jealousy. I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU’RE DOING SELF-TRANSFIGURATION!!!! If I could do that, I wouldn’t have to keep fixing up my roots every couple weeks when I dye my hair a new colour.

Well, I’ve rambled like a maniac long enough. SEE YAAA!!!!

Cheers,
GIORGI!!


Jordan smiled. If anything, Giorgi only got more and more crazy with each passing email. He typed up a reply.

To: rainbowbrite04@interweb.co.uk
From: sgtjpepper@magicworks.co.uk
Subj: RE: Sports and Random Stuff

Hello, Giorgi!

Quidditch is not going especially well, seeing as everyone on the team is being ridiculous. They’re all too busy thinking about the idiotic ball that my school always holds on my birthday. They can’t even concentrate on flying, especially Ophelia Wood.

And Tyrone Thomas and Emma are acting rather strangely as well. They’re always going flying in the Forbidden Forest at night, presumably to brush up on their skills… but don’t they realize that if they’re caught, they could be expelled from the team and lose hundreds of points for Gryffindor?

I’m sorry, you didn’t ask for a furious rant. Thank you for asking, though. It’s excellent about the football team, by the way.
Yes, I’m turning seventeen next week, although my birthday is always somewhat spoiled by the fact that it’s Valentine’s Day (far from my favourite holiday) and that I have to share it with Haley.

Still, I’ll going to legally come of age, which is exciting. I can’t believe that I’m almost an adult. Actually, I can. What I can’t believe is that
Haley is almost an adult.

Trigonometry actually does have quite a few practical uses, but I won’t annoy you with that now. There is one thing you should know, though, and I can’t believe I put two and two together before. If you’re taking Trig at Cresthill High, your Trigonometry teacher, believe it or not, is Ted’s older brother, Nathanael!

He works in Muggle Liaison, which basically means that he makes reports back to the Ministry about Muggles. I’m not surprised that you like him, though, seeing as he’s a Metamorphmagus. You two should get along.

Write back when you can.

Sincerely,
Jordan.


There. One perfectly normal email, done. This should effectively stop Giorgi from worrying about the strange behaviour that he’d displayed over winter holiday. No one could say that Jordan Potter was not crafty when he wanted to be.

He was sitting in the Room of Requirement, his preferred hangout lately. For the last few months, he’d found it pleasant to spend his time there, rather than the dormitory. When he had unusual dreams, he didn’t like to be surrounded by other people, and there was always the chance that one of his roommates would walk into the dorm while he was raving like a madman. It was better to be safe than sorry.

The Room of Requirement was peaceful and isolated, and Jordan liked it that way. He’d never really craved the presence of others, choosing instead to make his own company. Unlike Merlin, he had no problem with the fact that he couldn’t convey his thoughts and experiences to others because he didn’t want to. He didn’t care that nobody really understood him, not even those who thought they did, because he didn’t want anyone else nosing into his personal affairs anyway.

Likewise, he didn’t feel Merlin’s need to share his talents with others. True, he was nothing if not liberal with sharing the information he knew (a more polite way of calling him a know-it-all). But when it came to the possibility that he might be a Seer, he kept it to himself.

And the same went for music.

He picked up his beloved red guitar, ingeniously engineered to run on magical power instead of electricity, and strummed a few chords. Other than Haley’s horrible and humiliating April Fools’ Day prank in their fourth year, he’d never performed in front of anyone, but he was surprisingly good. He played by ear, and he began to sing in a dusky, resonant voice that was a far cry from the flat monotone in which he so often spoke.

“Oh, crystal ball, crystal ball, save us all
Tell me life is beautiful
Mirror, mirror on the wall.
Lines ever more unclear
Not sure I’m even here
The more I look
The more I think that I’m
Starting to disappear.
Oh crystal ball, crystal ball, hear our song
Fading out
Everything I know is wrong
Take me back where I belong…”


* * * * *


“But Duckling, music is awesome!” Haley exclaimed, clapping her hands together. “Why don’t you want to sing? Don’t you like music?”

Anatoly groaned. “I love music,” he told her. “I have the deepest respect for it. That’s why I don’t sing. My singing makes John Lennon roll over in his grave.”

They were on their way to Potions class and using the opportunity to discuss and fine-tune the specifics of their project, now that they finally had gotten it started.

“Your singing can’t be half as bad as Ted’s,” chirped Haley, letting her shiny dark hair bounce across her shoulders as she scampered along. “His singing makes babies cry. Well, can you dance, then, if you can’t sing?”

Anatoly shrugged vaguely and said, “I personally am quite fond of dancing, but alas, most sane people are not so fond of watching. I’m somewhat awful.”

“But you do like to dance?” prompted Haley, poking him in the chest with a sparkly pink fingernail.

“Sure, as much as the next bloke,” Anatoly replied breezily.

Just then, Jordan stomped by, muttering under his breath, “I hate dances.”

Anatoly chuckled to himself. “I take that back. If the next bloke is Jordan, I like to dance more than the next bloke.”

“Great!” exclaimed Haley. “Then how about coming with me to the Haley’s Birthday Day Ball?”

The boy stopped in his tracks and turned to look at her. “Har,” he said, his tone as dry as the Sahara Desert. “You’re so funny. Ho-ho-larious.” He had one eyebrow raised, but Haley didn’t even bother smacking him in the face. She simply folded her arms.

“No, I’m not kidding, you loony! I think you should come with me to the ball,” she said brightly. “So! Want to?”

Anatoly looked rather like someone had just smacked him in the head with a blunt axe, but his voice was as calm and indifferent as always. “Well, why not?” he replied. “It’s your funeral.”

“Really? Then I want pink flowers for my grave,” Haley said. It was a bit sad, really, that Anatoly was so skeptical about going to a dance with a friend. Now that she thought about it, she couldn’t remember seeing him at any of the previous dances, either. She’d never paid attention to that type of thing before.

Anatoly gave her a smile in return. “Do you think we can get extra credit on our Inter-House Unity project for this?” he asked with every indication of seriousness.

They arrived at Professor Zabini’s classroom and, with an elaborate little bow from Anatoly, headed for their desks.

“Haley, why didn’t I see you in the corridor?” Emma asked as Haley slid into her seat just in time for the bell. “I had to listen to Nelson Blenkinsopp go on and on about how much he hates slug repellant.”

“Sorry,” Haley replied easily, “but I was talking to Duckling.”

“Who?”

“You know? Anatoly? It’s my special nickname for him. Anyway, we’re going to the ball together.”

If Emma had been drinking anything, she would have surely spat it all over the desk. “Wait, say that again, because it almost sounded like you just said you’re going to the ball with that Slytherin creep.” She looked horrified. “I know Capshaw got you out of trouble when McGonagall thought we pulled that prank on him a few weeks ago, but that doesn’t mean you have to tell him you’ll go with him! You don’t owe anything. I just can’t believe he had the nerve to ask you!”

“Oh, he didn’t ask me,” Haley told her, her voice bright. “I asked him, actually.”

Her friend laughed, shaking her head in disbelief. “Oh, Godric, what is it with you and asking people on pity dates? Last year Vladislav Poliokoff, and now him?”

It was odd how often people dismissed Haley as a joke, she thought to herself. She knew that she could be silly, and that she was small and cute and slightly hyperactive, but there were times when she really would have liked to be taken seriously. Especially by people who should know better.

“Look,” she said, “Ani’s not like Charybdis Nott. Haven’t you noticed? He’s a nice guy. Maybe kind of sarcastic, but he’s not bad at all.”

She’d never really taken the chance to talk about Anatoly to anyone but Anatoly himself. Maybe the opportunity had never come up, maybe she hadn’t wanted to give away her Inter-House Unity project, but most likely, she’d been worried about what people would think. For someone like Haley to befriend an ugly, spotty weirdo who talked funny and had more rapid mood swings than she’d had hot meals, would be unacceptable enough in the eyes of the school, but add into the equation that this boy was a Slytherin, and things would really go out of control.

And it was hard to tell Emma that she’d been wrong about something or someone”she was not one to take kindly to disagreements. But Haley could hardly just sit idly by and let Emma insult Anatoly for the rest of their lives.

“You’re so trusting, you’re crazy,” spat Emma. “You can’t just go around thinking everyone’s your friend. If he acts nice to you, it’s because he wants something. That’s how Slytherins are. They don’t give a pile of Porlock poo about anything but themselves, and they’re proud of it.”

Too trusting? Haley had always prided herself on her excellent intuition, and she liked to think that she was a good judge of character. She hadn’t been wrong about Ivy, Tyrone, Vladislav, or Lee, and she knew she wasn’t wrong about Anatoly.

“You know who you sound like?” Haley asked softly. “You sound just like Pansy Malfoy talking about Ted.”

Emma’s jaw dropped in offended shock. “What? How can you””

But before she could start a full-scale argument, Zabini emerged from his storeroom, adjusting the cuffs on the sleeves of his trailing black robes. “Today,” he enunciated, “You will take your written tests for the unit. Be prepared to spend the entire period writing. I expect a three-foot parchment on the importance of an ingredient of your choice in potion-making. These will be graded according to N.E.W.T. standard, so I naturally expect your best work.” He folded his arms. “You may begin. Absolutely no talking is allowed.”

Emma glanced over at her cousin with an expression that clearly meant, “I’m not finished with you.”

Deliberately looking away from one another, the girls each pulled out scrolls of parchment, quills, and ink and began scratching at their essays. Haley knew hers was definitely substandard, and that she was giving her nemesis the pleasure of giving her a bad grade, but she was too preoccupied to care.

She didn’t want to get in an argument with Emma. Such things were always painful, and she remembered all too well when the two of them hadn’t spoken for weeks when Emma refused to ‘let’ Haley make friends with Draco Malfoy’s daughter. The last thing she wanted was a repeat of that.

In the meantime, though, Jordan was completely unaware of any disagreement that may have been going on between his twin and his cousin. Never the one to simply dive into writing out an essay, he was a meticulous planner and outliner who was now brainstorming a list of possible topics. What could he write about that was obviously important but sufficiently little-known to make an impression?

Having ruled out dragon’s blood as too mainstream and hawthorn as too obscure, he dipped his quill in his pot of ink and wrote across the top of his paper, “Modern Usage Of Mimosa Leaves In Potionmakinng: Sensitivity Draughts, Sympathy Solutions, and Amortentia.” He underlined the title with a swift stroke. Not the most masculine of topics, but it was definitely the fast lane to a high grade on the essay test.

As he wrote, though, he felt his eyelids getting heavy, his wrist muscles becoming limp and relaxed, and his heartbeat slowing. He knew what this mean, and hurriedly laid down his quill and leaned his head against the back of his chair.

He was about to have yet another one of his stupid dreams, and from the tingling sensation in the base of his skull, he could tell that it would overwhelm him right there in Zabini’s classroom. There was no time to excuse himself to the wizards’ room where he could relax in private.

And just then, his body stiffened and his mind filled with an image of an old Greek woman crouching on a rickety stool, surrounded by smoke. Her frizzy grey hair was damp with sweat as it hung loosely around her face, and her right eye was milky and blind. She was nearly toothless, and her hands were frail and gnarled, but when she began to speak, her voice was low, calm, and surprisingly clear.

“And the lion and the falcon will leave the earth when their time occurs, and the world will be without them for the passing of a thousand years while the serpent reins. And then, the new lion and falcon will emerge and succeed where those before them could not… succeed where those before them could not… where those before them could not…”

A high-pitched female scream pierced the air, and jarred by the sudden sound, Jordan’s eyes snapped open. He gazed around him at his classmates, almost all of whom stared back at him.

Haley, clearly the girl who had screamed, was slack-jawed, and another girl had actually inched her chair away from his. Only one person in the entire room looked collected and cool as always”Professor Zabini.

His expression cold and different and his eyes gleaming vindictively, he was standing over Jordan in a truly ominous fashion. “Mr. Potter,” he hissed, “I specifically instructed that there was to be no talking during the essay test, and this includes the ravings of a lunatic.”

The ravings of a… oh no… Jordan slid down in his seat. He had hoped that this day would never come. He wasn’t even seventeen yet, and already, he’d publicly humiliated himself? What had he been doing?

Zabini leaned over the boy’s desk and snatched away his partly-finished essay paper. “For breaking my rules and disturbing the other students, you will receive a zero on your essay test,” he spat. He scanned the heading of the parchment and suddenly gave out a small gasp, his complexion draining to the colour of old gum. Then, his eyes frantic, he reread it and his features relaxed back into their usual sneer.

Zabini crumpled the essay into a ball. “You may sit”silently”while the rest of the class finishes their work.”

Jordan opened his mouth to protest, but realized that it would get him nowhere except possibly the land of negative house points. He was totally speechless. A zero? On a test? It was inconceivable. A zero was enough to bring his GPA down from an O! It could wreck his prospects and ruin his high school career, and he wouldn’t get to be class valedictorian!

He remembered how the previous year, he’d worried about a paltry ninety-three percent on a homework assignment, but now he had a zero on a major test. It was absolutely unthinkable.

His horror turned to anger at Zabini, and he stewed in silent fury as he listened to the gentle scratching of quills on parchment. How could Zabini fail him for talking during a test when he clearly couldn’t help it? If he had spoken aloud the words of his dream, there was nothing that he could have done to prevent it.

And yet… Zabini had no idea what strange circumstances might have prompted Jordan’s outburst. No one did, save for Professors Lupin, McGonagall, and the board of governors. As far as the Potions teacher knew, Jordan had simply been foolish enough to fall asleep (and then speak nonsense in his sleep) during class when he should have been focusing on his work.

He knotted his hands in frustration. As much as he had been trying to deny it, as pragmatic as he tried to be, Jordan was starting to think that maybe he really was a Seer. Why did these sorts of things keep happening to him of all people? Merlin had been dead wrong when he talked about how being a Seer helped him understand everything. If this was Seeing, all it did was complicate things even more than ever.

When the class was finally over and all essays except Jordan’s turned in, he was all too glad to escape to the Room of Requirement. But before he could make his getaway, he was stopped by none other than Ted.

“Hey,” he said pleasantly, standing directly in front of the door in a most unhelpful sort of way.

“Jordan looked none too pleased, but replied with a grudging, “Hello.”

“Listen, are you feeling okay? Because that was kind of weird during the test today”no offense”and you’ve been acting like you’re sick for awhile,” his friend said, his eyebrows raised with concern.

Jordan groaned. Two qualities that made Ted so likeable were his observance and his empathy. At the moment, though, both were a nuisance. He was like an eager, slobbering puppy sometimes. “I’m fine,” he responded irritably. “I told you before, I’m having trouble sleeping at night, and I fell asleep during the test and started talking in my sleep.”

“What were you dreaming about?” asked Ted. “I understand if it’s personal or whatever, but it must have been a really weird dream. Your voice sounded really creaky and high-pitched. You sounded a lot like me in fourth year, actually, only sounded kind of like you were speaking in Italian or something.”

“Greek,” Jordan corrected automatically, then froze. The old Greek woman in his vision… he’d spoken in her voice in front of the whole class. What’s more, he hadn’t even been babbling in English.

He hadn’t noticed that the old woman in his vision hadn’t been speaking English, but obviously, people in ancient Athens did not on a regular basis talk like Londoners. Now that he thought about it, it wouldn’t make sense for a Seer to only be able to understand the visions that he had in the native language.

And all of his dreams about Merlin… no wonder his speech sounded so modern and easily comprehensible. Without even realizing it, Jordan’s mind had translated the visions from Merlin’s native Old English. Just another freaky ability to add to his already generous supply.

Ted shrugged. “It’s okay, you don’t have to tell me anything,” he said. “It’s just, if you don’t feel good, you should go to the Hospital Wing. Because I was crazy enough not to go until it was too late, and if you’re sick, I don’t want you to have to pass out in the Great Hall in front of everybody like I did.

“Might as well,” snarled Jordan, slinging his back over his shoulder. “After all of the other moronic things I’ve done in front of everyone.”

And with that, he slouched off down the hallway, in search of some well-deserved privacy.

* * * * *


The hallway outside Professor Zabini’s classroom had cleared of students who wanted to be on time to lunch. But one Gryffindor girl dawdled. Emma Weasley stuffed her hands in her pockets as she walked, moving about as quickly as a snail with a prosthetic foot. She did not want to go to lunch and have to sit with Haley”not that Haley wanted to sit with her, either, she reminded herself.

She didn’t need Emma now that she had that disgusting Slytherin. What was to like about a Slytherin? They were cruel, manipulative, bigoted snobs who only looked out for themselves, and Capshaw didn’t even have good looks to balance it out like… well, quite a few of the Slytherin boys did. Hadn’t Haley noticed his disgusting pimples? His nerdy glasses and stupid Muggle braces across his teeth? His trying-so-hard-to-be-cool-and-failing-miserably haircut?

She was so buried in her thoughts, she didn’t even notice the figure walking toward her until they had slammed into one another.

“Oh, sorry,” both parties said at once, and Emma looked up to see against whom exactly she had just smashed. It was Tyrone Thomas. She should have known. Who else had a torso like a tree trunk in a t-shirt?

Neither of them said anything for a moment, and tangible silence rang through the hallway. Thoughts that had been constantly pushed back struggled to the surface of Emma’s mind and forced their way to her mouth.

Tyrone’s voice blended with hers in flawless unison.

“Um… hi… er…want to go to the ball with me?”

They both blinked wide-eyed at one another. “Sure, I mean, of course,” they said at the same time, then both demanded, “Why do we keep talking at the same time?” Both of them burst into peals of laughter. The difficult question was over with, all awkwardness was gone, and they could just be Tyrone and Emma again.

“This is great,” Tyrone stated. “And it’s insane. I basically gave up on going to the ball with you after the last three years. Leave it to you to spring a ‘yes’ on me when I least expect it.”

The corner of Emma’s mouth turned up. “It can’t have been too unexpected, or you wouldn’t have just spent ten minutes in the bathroom gelling your hair.”

Tyrone went deep purple. “That’s not the point!” he proclaimed, then slid his arm through the crook of Emma’s. “Lunchward?” he inquired politely.

“Oh, yeah,” agreed Emma with a smile, leaving her arm linked in his.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with going to a dance with a boy, she told herself firmly, as long as she kept her head and didn’t do anything but dance. She wasn’t giving in to Tyrone, not at all. She knew what she was doing.

* * * * * *


“If the Hogwarts Express goes over fifty miles an hour,” proclaimed Emma, brandishing a ticking device in her hand, “it will explode!”

“Cool. Can you put down my alarm clock?” Haley replied rather impatiently. She dug through her jewelry box for the perfect earrings. “I just don’t want you messing around with the clock unless you accidentally make it go off at the wrong time. I’m going to be legal in thirty-nine minutes and forty-two seconds… forty-one seconds…”

It was Valentine’s Day, and Haley and Emma had come to a truce, mainly because it was Haley’s birthday but also because Emma had to break their refusal to speak to one another when she’d found herself incapable of keeping quiet that she was going to the ball with Tyrone Thomas (not that it was a big deal or anything, of course). Still, however, they were just a tad bit brisker and cooler with one another than usual and both of them were careful to never mention the ‘A’ name.

“So!” exclaimed Ivy, clapping her hands together. “We’ve all hidden our robes from each other all year. How about we do a sort of fashion show”one by one?”

Haley smiled. “Inspired,” she chirped. “I can tell you’ve been spending too much time with me.”

Emma stood up, pulling up a garment bag along with her. “Okay then, I’ll go first,” she agreed. “Prepare yourselves, ladies.”

“Wait,” Ivy said quickly, “before you get dressed, I just want to say, you know how you sort of gave me a makeover for last year’s ball?”

Haley nodded enthusiastically. “Yepperdiddies!”

“Well… can you please not do that this year? I mean, it was really nice of you, and I know I looked nice, but it just… it wasn’t my style.” Ivy thought silently of Pansy Malfoy, her insistence that she wear more stylish clothing and makeup. Pansy had dressed her up like a china doll until she had been old enough to make her own decisions, and even then Pansy couldn’t seem to accept the fact that Ivy’s tastes were more conservative than her own. Now Ivy just wanted a chance to be herself without anyone else trying to tell her what to wear.

Haley looked rather put-out. “Oh, okay,” she pouted. “I’ll just keep all my makeup tricks to myself and make you jealous of my gorgeousness all night long.”

Emma rolled her eyes. “Whatever,” she said, closing the bathroom door behind her to change into her ball finery. While she was getting ready, the Potter sisters reminisced over the events of the previous few balls (most notably perhaps Draco Malfoy’s entrance onto the grounds in fourth year… though Jordan magically dumping a punch bowl over Ophidias and Charybdis in third yearwas a close second) until…

“Ta-daaa!” Emma burst forth from the bathroom dressed in a Muggle-style red halter dress with a swingy skirt and shiny black strappy shoes. A red rose was tucked behind her ear.

“Cute!” Haley said appreciatively. “I thought you might be going Muggle-style this year!
Tancred Apple was totally wrong about a lot of things, but he did have good fashion sense.”

Ivy smiled. “I like it. I mean, I’d never wear it, but you look great.” She stood up. “Speaking of which, should I get ready now, too?’

“Yeah!” Haley told her, bouncing up and down on her bed. “Save the best for last.”

Her sister shook her head as she gathered her things for the ball. “And can’t believe you’re going to be seventeen in just a few minutes,” she said under her breath.

Haley stuck out her tongue. “Well, I’ll be the one with the last laugh when you’re old and wrinkly. I’ll be like, ‘bet you wish you were immature like me now, huh?’”

“You’ll be a skydiving grandma, huh?” laughed Ivy, stepping into the bathroom.

“Maybe not that!” called Haley, who was terrified of heights. “But definitely a cool one… while you’re sitting in a rocker drinking prune juice.”

A few moments later, Ivy emerged from the bathroom, looking confident and calm and… quite nice-looking, Haley had to admit. Her soft cotton dress robes were a pale tea blue, with a square neck and they were accentuated by a square neck and short puffed sleeves. White elbow-length gloves graced her arms, and her long blonde hair was swept out of her eyes with a blue ribbon. She wore simple pearl earrings and had added the slightest touch of pale pink gloss to her lips.

“You look like Cinderella!” exclaimed Haley. She had to admit that although her sister didn’t look fashionable and head-turning like she had the previous year thanks to Haley’s makeover, she was quite pretty in an old-fashioned sort of way, and infinitely more comfortable-looking than in the trendy dress.

Maybe Ivy wasn’t quite the fashion disaster that Haley often scoped her out to be”at least she knew her own style, even if it wasn’t necessarily one Haley would choose herself.

“Here I go!” she announced, skipping toward the restroom to the restroom to get ready for the ball.

She took her sweet time getting ready, which caused Emma to get somewhat irritated. “It didn’t take this long to build the bathroom!” she shouted, pounding on the door. Blast. She sounded exactly like her dad. Since when had she been so corny? And was it hereditary?

“Don’t worry,” Ivy said serenely, “she’ll be out in time for the ball.”

“Darn right she is,” agreed Haley, suddenly standing in the doorway.

Her friends looked stunned, and not merely because of her sudden and silent appearance. Haley was beaming radiantly, clad in brilliantly green silk kimono-style robes with dramatic sleeves and elabourate embroidered details. Her hair was swept to the top of her head, her dangly earrings glittered like fireworks, she seemed to suddenly have cheekbones, and her delicate high-heeled shoes added dramatically to her petite stature. She looked much older than usual.

The green robes brought out the vivid light green of her eyes, and it was more apparent than ever what a light, almost chartreuse green they were. For the first time, she looked like the glamorous actress she aspired to be, not just a cute little girl playing dress-up.

“So!” said Haley, grinning, “Told you I’m good with makeup!”

“It must be the robes,” Emma said finally, squinting. “That’s what’s doing it. I’ve never seen you wear anything but pink dress robes before, but you look really good… I’d tell you to wear more green, but that would be stupid, people would think you were a Slytherin or something.”

Haley had something to say in return to that, but she didn’t have time. At that exact minute, her alarm clock sounded. Harriet-Lily Potter was seventeen years old. By all standards (except for possibly her twin’s), she was an adult.

There was something so strange, almost surreal about the situation. She didn’t feel seventeen. She felt like it had been just a few days since she’d first arrived at Hogwarts at age eleven, and to suddenly become a ‘grown-up’ like that was mind-boggling. And yet, she knew that she was a lot more grown-up than she’d been when she came to Hogwarts”even two years before she’d been physically incapable of taking anything seriously.

“Happy birthday!” shouted Emma, flicking her wand and showering her cousin with glittery confetti. “Make a wish!”

Ivy smiled ruefully, adjusting her gloves. “I feel so left out,” she remarked. “I still won’t come of age for two more months. Do you feel any different?”

“Er, no, not really,” her sister admitted. “Happier. Better-dressed. More entitled to birthday cake.” She wrinkled her nose in a devilish smile. “Mostly, I’m just excited that for the next two minutes, I’m legally grown-up and my baby brother’s still a little boy.”

Despite the fact that she was less than three minutes older than Jordan, she’d always been extremely proud of being the elder of the pair and delighted in calling her twin ‘baby brother’ whenever possible. Oddly, he did not share this delight.

“You know,” said Ivy, “I never thought about that before. It’s weird if you think about it. I wonder what he’s doing right now.”

* * * * *


Copious amounts of gel purloined from Tyrone Thomas had been slathered into Jordan’s hair in attempts to tame it, and his deep-plum-coloured robes offset his dark hair nicely. But although his appearance was debonair and collected”or at least, as debonair and collected as it was possible to be when one was Jordan Potter”inside, he was agitated and jumpy.

In just a few minutes, he would come of age. And he was worried about what that may mean for him.

For the last several months, he’d had numerous tiny glimpses of what it might be like to be a Seer, and if he really was one, he knew that these occasions paled in comparison to what he would soon be. He’d seen enough of Merlin’s life to know that it would be frustrating, confusing, all-consuming… and totally and completely life-altering. If the Inner Eye could turn a normal Muggle-born farm boy into the most brilliant mind in history, there was no telling what it would do to Jordan. If he was a Seer, of course. Which was only a theory anyway, he reminded himself.

He glanced nervously at his watch, his eyes blurry without his contact lenses in. 10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3… 2… Blackness.

It wasn’t like his other dreams. This one didn’t have words or images or vivid scenes or anything else that normally happened in dreams. It was just plain, silent blackness. His mind didn’t seem to be entirely there”he felt like his brain was a computer with the monitor turned off.

And then, after what could have been three seconds or three hours, it was all over.

Slowly and cautiously, his eyelids fluttered open… and stayed open, widened in surprise. Even without his contacts in, everything seemed exceptionally crisp and defined. But it wasn’t that his vision was any better”when he thought about it, the world was still just as vague and smeary as it was when he had his contacts in”but it was just the way things were that was clearer. He stared back and forth at everything, greedily drinking in his surroundings. It was strange to think that he had ever been able to spend the first seventeen years of his life with such a dim, vague view of the world around him.

He scrambled to a sitting position, feeling his heart pound in his chest. Something unfamiliar pulsed and tingled through his brain. His whole body seemed warm and powerful, radiating a strange sort of heat that filled him from head to toe. It was a bit like the flu, actually. Maybe he did just have the flu… No, it couldn’t be the flu, because he’d had the flu before, and when he had the flu, he tended to throw up a lot, have a sudden desire to listen to Elvis Presley, and randomly burst into tears when nobody was looking.

All Jordan knew was that he had to be a Seer”he had followed the scientific method and after all of his hypothesizing and experimentation, this had to be the conclusion. He had no choice but to share what he had. Unless it was the flu, of course.

It was truly strange. He felt so different that he had to look in the mirror to see if he looked any different from before. Jordan brushed the dust bunnies from his robes and walked into the bathroom.

He stopped in his tracks and stared when he saw his reflection.

In essence, he looked exactly the same as he had ten minutes before. He had the same slight but wiry frame, the same mop of totally unmanageable black hair, the same finely-carved Weasley features and matching freckles, the same heart-shaped face and slight upturn to the end of his nose.

But surrounding his image was a massive, dazzling sunburst, full of streaks and blotches and rays of every colour, ever changing and moving. He gazed at the light emanating from his own body, totally mesmerized. Yet the longer he looked, he realized that the sunburst wasn’t anything new”it was like the first time he’d noticed his own shadow at the age of four. He didn’t look any different. He just saw differently.

Instinctively, he knew that he was looking at his aura, and almost laughed. Professor Trelawney always went on about people’s auras, and he’d always thought it was complete nonsense. Looked like Professor Trelawney had at least one thing right, though he doubted that she could really see them. He wondered what her aura would look like”probably like moldy cheese with big holes in it.

It was like the day when he was seven years old and was first given a pair of glasses. The world, which until then had been a blurry and murky place, opened up and he’d been able to see things as they were, differentiate the leaves on a tree or the letters in the alphabet. For the first time, he’d been able to see what he really looked like, not just a vague smear of colour in the mirror.

And now… well… he suspected that Professor Trelawney would equate what had just happened to him with spectacles for the Inner Eye.

“Oh, God, this is all so ridiculous,” he said aloud. His voice didn’t sound as convincing as he had hoped it would.

Jordan sat down on the floor, his legs trembling. He felt electrified, the air itself buzzing with life around him. And as he relaxed on the floor, a voice resounded through his mind: “And the lion and the falcon will leave the earth when their time occurs, and the world will be without them for the passing of a thousand years while the serpent reins. And then, the new lion and falcon will emerge and succeed where those before them could not… succeed where those before them could not… where those before them could not…”

It was like a stick of dynamite had just been set off inside Jordan’s brain. Suddenly, he understood. He understood everything… and all of a sudden, he couldn’t bring himself to be cynical anymore. There were only two things to do”swear loudly, and find Haley as soon as possible.

* * * * * *


Haley was delighted to discover that the DJ at the dance shared her unique penchant for cheesy ‘80’s techno music. While this was no cause for celebration for nearly anyone else, it was admittedly quite fun to dance to.

The girls had met up with Ted and Tyrone, who’d been waiting for them in the Common Room, and were now standing outside the Great Hall as the crowds of students filed in.

“So,” Emma said to Tyrone, sounding quite like a drill sergeant, “if anyone asks”or even looks at you funny”you tell them””

“That we’re not going out, yeah, I know,” sighed Tyrone, rolling his eyes. “You’ve only told me like a million times on the way down here. Lighten up, okay?” He patted her arm.

Emma did not look particularly soothed. “Look, I just don’t want people to get ideas.”

“Why? What’s wrong with ideas?” Tyrone asked brightly.

Haley smiled to herself. Emma and Tyrone may not have been going out, but they still could bicker like an old married couple. And Emma’s insistence aside, it was a remarkable feat on its own that she’d agreed to take a boy”and Tyrone, no less”to a ball. Things were really beginning to go in a direction that Haley quite liked.

Speaking of directions, someone was strolling in hers. “Well, here I am!” announced Anatoly, flashing a quick smile. An all-white smile…

“Hey, handsome! You got your braces off!” Haley exclaimed, noticing the difference at once.

The boy tapped his teeth. “Yep, and just in time for your birthday, too. That’s my present to you, no more having to look at chunks of food caught in my teeth whenever I talk to you. Aren’t you just thrilled?”

“Oh, yeah.”

Anatoly did look a bit different than usual, and it wasn’t just the braces. He’d gathered his curly shoulder-length hair into a neat ponytail, and his robes were a spectacularly bright red with gold buttons and accents that would satisfy any marching band leader. On top of his head was a fancy top hat that would make even Giorgi stare. The overall effect was alarming, but surprisingly, it worked for him. He did ‘alarming’ well.

Emma broke off from her discussion with Tyrone to crane her neck unfavourably toward the newcomer. “Your robes are red and gold,” she remarked, raising an eyebrow and then wincing at the stiletto heel that Haley brought down atop her foot.

“Yes,” Anatoly said simply, “yes, they are. Or at least, that’s what the sales clerk told me.” He folded his arms. “Me, I wouldn’t know personally”I’m red-green colourblind. Can’t see the difference between the two to save my life.”

Red-green colourblind… Haley gave out a little involuntary snort. She wished that everyone were red-green colourblind. Then maybe there wouldn’t be so much friction between Hogwarts’s houses.

“Well, I think it’s kind of weird,” stated Emma crossly. “You wearing red and her in green… shouldn’t you just wear your own house’s colours?”

Things were getting uncomfortable, and it was plainly evident that it was a bad idea to allow Emma and Anatoly to be within such close proximity to one another without a fence between them.

Sensing a storm brewing, Ted, who had been silent until then, cleared his throat. “Er, guys, we’re holding up traffic here. Shouldn’t we be going into the Great Hall now? I mean, I’d kind of rather dance than stand around and talk.”

Anatoly nodded thoughtfully. “Yes, now would in fact be an excellent time for one to be getting one’s groove on.” He glanced over to his partner. “And what say you?”

“I say YES, PLEASE!” Haley declared, and they led the way into the techno-pulsating Great Hall, which had become significantly funkier than usual.

It was difficult to gauge which had received a more astonished reception, date-hater Emma and infamous ladies-man Tyrone finally attending a ball together, or the Gryffindor and Slytherin dressed in the colours of the opposite house. For their point, Haley and Anatoly rather enjoyed being the centre of attention and waved and smiled cheerfully at the occasional slack-jawed gaper.

Everyone was soon absorbed, though, by the music and companionship and soon forgot about improbable set of ball dates. Ted was attempting a very bad rendition of the robot, much to Ivy’s amusement, while Haley and Anatoly appeared to be competing for who could dance the most flamboyantly, and Tyrone and Emma attempted to be starting a new dance craze that was a strange mixture of the bunny hop, the conga line, and leap frog. The dance was in full swing, all chaos, noise, and movement, and so wild that no one even noticed that Jordan Potter was nowhere around.

Until suddenly, the oak double doors were flung open and a figure burst through, running like a maniac. His sweat-dampened hair flew back from his forehead and his limbs were wild as he raced into the room.

Haley froze in the middle of her disco version of German folk dancing and stared at her twin brother. He was sweaty and red-faced, his hair even more of a disaster than usual, and he beamed madly, his eyes glowing with excitement. He seemed to radiate a bizarre and uncharacteristic happiness, and Haley felt herself feeling deeply uneasy. It was not like her brother to be happy.

“What’s wrong?” she demanded.

Jordan was breathing heavily, his chest rising and falling beneath his dark violet robes. Dark violet? He would never be caught dead wearing purple. His idea of wild was forest green or navy blue, and even then he rarely even wore anything but black. He had to be ill.

“Nothing’s wrong,” he panted, spreading his arms. “Everything’s brilliant. It all makes sense now!”

This was a statement deeply at odds with how Haley felt. Absolutely nothing made sense. “Huh?” she said eloquently.

“Don’t you feel different?” Jordan demanded, his expression at once restlessly energized and serenely peaceful. Neither of those expressions were Jordan at all… and he looked strangely and unsettlingly beautiful. There was something about him that made everyone else fade into the background… no, that wasn’t quite it. The background faded into Jordan.

By now, nearly everyone in the room was staring, transfixed, fascinated, and slightly disturbed. Only Haley had the courage to attempt conversation with the lunatic who had hijacked her twin’s body. She wasn’t used to being the sensible one.

“Listen, slow down. What’s going on? You’re not making any sense at all.”

Jordan’s eyes danced with giddy amazement. They were so dark, almost black… Haley was quite sure they’d been lighter less than a year before, and that simple change added to the picture of patent weirdness. “Haley, wizards reach their full magical potential on their seventeenth birthdays. And I…” He took a deep breath. “I’m a Seer. A Seer, all three kinds. And I don’t even believe in Divination…” He let out a shaky laugh. “It’s ridiculous, I know. But it’s true. And I would say I wish it wasn’t, but actually, I’m glad.”

Haley had the distinct sensation that someone had dropped a bag of wet sand on her head. Her eyes widened to the size of cantaloupes. She wanted to believe that her brother was only joking, but those odd dark eyes of his were solemn and serious beyond the scope of acting.

A Seer? Practical, cynical Jordan, a Seer? It couldn’t be! And yet… the pieces seemed to fit together. He’d begun Divination classes. He’d been acting weird, weirder than usual. He’d fallen asleep in class and muttered some high-pitched gobbledegook. What if he really was a Seer? The possibility blew her mind, but what if he was telling the truth?

“I had a vision,” Jordan continued breathlessly. Haley wished he could be less… enthusiastic. It was scary. “It said, ‘And the lion and the falcon will leave the earth when their time occurs, and the world will be without them for the passing of a thousand years while the serpent reins. And then, the new lion and falcon will emerge and succeed where those before them could not… succeed where those before them could not… It’s the same one I had in Zabini’s class the other day. Only now I understand what it means!”

“Ermm… I don’t,” Haley said weakly.

“Yes, that’s why I’m telling you!” His voice brimmed with impatient anticipation. “Haley, you’re the young lion. I’m the young falcon. Don’t you see?”

Haley was now seriously beginning to worry, especially since it was pretty obvious that she was not a lion and he was not a falcon. It was completely bizarre for him to be so manic and unintelligible, and he looked feverish to say the least. Either he was very sick or, more frighteningly, there was actually something to what he was saying.

“I’m… I’m really confused,” she said in a small voice.”

Jordan shook his head, evidently amazed at how ignorant she could be. “Do I have to spell it out? You’re the heir of Gryffindor! I’m the heir of Merlin! And one day quite soon, we each have to accomplish something that Gryffindor and Merlin wanted to but couldn’t. At least, I thought it was fairly obvious.”

She squinted. “That’s nice… I think…”

Jordan exhaled and closed his eyes, clearly trying to compose himself. “I know I sound crazy,” he said in a low voice. “If I were you right now, I wouldn’t believe me. I’ve never had any faith in Divination before, either. But when it’s me, and everything seems so clear…”

He broke off and raked his fingers through his hair. “It’s so hard to explain. I can see why Merlin wanted to invent Telemency… but I know it’s true.”

“What do you mean?” asked Haley, almost frightened by how earnest her brother was, how completely ardent. He could only be telling the truth, and when the truth was so unbelievable, it was a bit difficult to stomach.

“Mum’s a direct female-line descendent of Godric Gryffindor’s eldest daughter,” Jordan stated, sounding much more Jordan-y than before. His voice was low and flat as usual, and sounded as though he was reciting from a textbook, and there was something comforting about the familiarity, irritating though this trait usually was. “And Dad’s a direct male-line descendent of Merlin’s son. There’s absolutely no question about it.”

Haley stared back into her brother’s eyes, so deep and unlike her own, and his face, so confident and sure. There was a maturity there, a wisdom that was far beyond his seventeen years, and far beyond anything Haley knew she could ever achieve.

I barely know him, she realized suddenly. He’s my twin brother, and I barely even know who he is. She did know, though, that Jordan would never make up something like that, and she could see in his steady gaze that he was completely sane.

She scratched her head, dislodging a few locks of hair from her stylish updo. The heir of Gryffindor… what did it mean? Why didn’t she get any cool, wacky talents? She remembered from a Divination class several months before, Jordan’s first one that he had talked about magical heirs. Why hadn’t she paid attention? Well, because he was boring and she’d been busy doing her nails at the time, but that wasn’t the point.

Anyway, there was something about wizards passing on their special abilities to one heir a certain amount of time after their deaths. She thought back to her History of Magic classes. What did she know about Godric Gryffindor?

Not much, actually”why hadn’t she paid attention to that, either? All that came to her mind was that he was known for being exceptionally brave and bold, that he’d been best friend with Salazar Slytherin, that he liked lions and the colour red, and that he’d had a famously strange sense of humour and was responsible for the name of the school, as well as the Sorting Hat and some of the school’s more irritating trick staircases and passageways and the like.

But what did this have to do with her? She was brave of course, or else why would she be in Gryffindor, but surely she couldn’t match Gryffindor himself. What would it meant to be Heir of Gryffindor? She couldn’t wrap her brain around it.

Frankly, she was infinitely more intrigued by Jordan’s half of the deal. A Seer… Divination had always been her favourite subject, and she’d always wanted to meet a real live Seer… other than Professor Trelawney, of course, as she hardly counted. She’d never even dreamed of having one under the same roof, let alone the same family tree. Jordan would be subject to a barrage of questions before the night was over, that was sure enough.

It suddenly dawned on her that all heads were still turned toward her, the room silent except for the sound of Paula Abdul shrieking in the background. “Well,” Haley managed to say, “What’s everyone standing around for? Let’s DANCE!”
End Notes:
Don't worry, Jordan's a little kooky here, but he's really the same old Jordan. Don't expect his personality to change too drastically. Anyway, as of the day I'm submitting this story, I've tried out for the musical Annie Get Your Gun at my school... by the time this is validated, the cast list will probably be posted, so I hope I get in!
Chapter 15: In Which Tyrone Is Unpleasantly Surprised by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Oh my gosh, you guys! Jordan won second place for Best Male Original Character in the 2008 Quicksilver Quills! Thanks so much for your lovely nominations!
As with any circus, the freak show was only a momentary diversion from the main attraction. As difficult as it was to grasp that the Potter twins were the heirs of two of the most powerful magicians in history and that Jordan possessed supernatural powers, it was a ball after all, and balls only came once a year.

After about half an hour, the party was in full-tilt, and the dancing was at its wildest and most exuberant, so it was a comfort and relief that the next song to play was a slow one. Suddenly, the dance floor was transformed into a peaceful place where the most violent of movements was a gentle sway.

It took all of two seconds for Haley and Anatoly to exchange glances and high-tail it off to the refreshments table”friends they may have been, but taking any aspect of a ball seriously was a little much for them.

Emma peered off toward the other side of the Great Hall, where, clearly visible over the heads of everyone else as always, Ted was slow-dancing with Ivy. The picture looked so blissful, so effortless, as though they danced every day of their lives and had no other thoughts worries on their minds. Ted certainly lacked grace, and Ivy was nervous and shy by nature, but simply swaying together, they looked as natural as a pair of trees waving in the wind.

Emma couldn’t even imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes. She wasn’t sure she’d ever be able to find slow dancing ‘natural.’

She felt a light tap on her shoulder and blinked, tearing her gaze away from the swaying couple, then turned to face her tapper. It was none other than Tyrone, his hand extended. “Hey, come on, let’s dance!” he said.

Emma hugged her forearms. “Thanks, but no thanks,” she said. “I don’t slow dance.”

“What, you a grown woman of seventeen, and you’ve never even slow danced before?” exclaimed Tyrone, his mouth forming an ‘o’ in mock shock. “But that’s, like, a life skill! I’m going to have to do something about that right away!”

“No.” Emma plopped down into a chair. “I don’t… listen, I don’t want to dance, okay?”

Tyrone sat down beside her, making his infamous sad Bambi eyes. “Oh, come on,” he pleaded, “Just one dance, and then I’ll leave you alone. It’s not like I’m a vampire that’ll suck out all of your blood if you let me anywhere near you. Though I hear some girls are into that kind of thing.” He flashed an encouraging smile. “You? Me? Dance?”

Emma rolled her eyes and made a show of sighing loudly. “Wellll…” she hesitated.

“Sure, why not, if only to get you to stop bugging me,” she groaned, getting up and smoothing her dress. She allowed Tyrone to lead her onto the dance floor, then asked flatly, “Now what?”

“Just hold on,” Tyrone told her easily, putting his arms around her waist. “And get closer than that, I don’t have the Ebola virus or anything. Keep arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times.”

Emma laughed a bit nervously, feeling the unfamiliar sensation of Tyrone’s arms around her, and moved forward until her head was resting on Tyrone’s shoulder. She put her arms around his neck. “Am I doing this right?” she asked. Her torso was still arched away from Tyrone’s”the idea of pressing up against his body made her feel bizarrely insecure.

“Er, yeah, as long as you don’t strangle me, it’s kind of hard to mess up,” replied Tyrone, clearly finding it amusing that Emma was treating slow dancing like some sort of meticulous ballroom dance with every step just so.

“And now?” Emma asked.

“Und now,” the boy whispered in her ear in a strange little accent, “ve dahnce.”

Emma reflected quietly to herself as she swayed with Tyrone that it was much easier than she thought it would be, almost an inborn reaction. Tyrone was solid and warm and would not be too low down on Emma’s imaginary list of comfortable things to lean against. She smirked silently, glancing over Tyrone’s shoulder at Ivy and Ted, thinking how painful it must be to slow dance with someone as bony as Ted. She wondered if Ivy ever got bruises from such activity.

It was strange, being able to feel the pulse in Tyrone’s throat and to feel his breath lightly stir her hair. The feeling of it all was soothing, almost hypnotic, and in her opinion, the song to which they were dancing had to be ludicrously short. It went by so quickly.

“Well!” Tyrone said merrily as a fast song began. “That was fun, wasn’t it?”

Emma didn’t look up at him. She somehow couldn’t bring herself to look into his eyes”the very thought of it made her come close to blushing in an Ivy-esque fashion. Her skin tingled weirdly. “Uh, yeah… I guess,” she mumbled.

“Do you want to take a break from dancing and get some food?” Tyrone asked, jerking his head over to one of the tables where punch and snacks could be found.

“Food sounds good right now,” said Emma, still looking away from his face. “But not from the food table. I have a better idea.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

She grabbed his arm. “You’re hopeless, did you know that?” she asked with a grin. “Come on, I’ll show you.” And she led him off down the hallway, away from the Great Hall. The kitchens were always the best source of snacks if you knew how to get in, and she found it somewhat amazing that Tyrone had never once paid a visit there. In any case, she liked having the upper hand again. Having Tyrone Thomas teacher her how to do anything was just too weird.

“Where exactly are you taking me?” Tyrone asked as they made their way through the abandoned corridors.

“Well, haven’t you ever wondered how I got the canary creams into everyone’s food on April Fool’s Day in our fourth year?” Emma replied, rounding a corner.

Emma couldn’t help remembering the night of the ball in their fourth year when she and Tyrone had walked through these same halls, determinedly not speaking to one another. It was bizarre how little she’d known about Tyrone just two years before. She’d only seen him as a conceited girl-chasing jock, and while of course this was true, she’d had no idea about his strange sense of humour, weird hobbies, and all of the assorted personality quirks that could only belong to Tyrone.

When they reached a portrait of a bowl of fruit, Emma tickled a large green pear in the foreground and watched it transform into a door handle.

“Welcome,” she announced, swinging open the door, “to the Hogwarts kitchens.”

Tyrone’s eyebrows shot up to his hairline, and he blinked two or three times to make certain that he wasn’t dreaming. The kitchens were teeming with busy house elves bustling about their business, and generous portions of some of the school’s finest desserts were laid out on the tables and counters. “Okay, I’m pret-ty sure we’re not supposed to be here,” he concluded.

“Nope, we’re not,” Emma told him, smiling. “We’re also not supposed to fly around the grounds at midnight, but since when do you care?”

One of the multitudinous house elves curtseyed neatly for the human guests. “Miss Emma!” she squeaked. “Is you and your friend wanting anything?”

“Oh, yeah, let’s just have two plates with a little bit of everything,” she replied carelessly. “This is my friend,Tyrone Thomas, by the way. He’s pretty cool, but he has lousy table manners, so try not to stare.”

Tyrone looked torn between being smug that he’d been called ‘cool’ and being wounded that his table manners had been insulted, so he compromised by accepting his plate of puddings and digging in.

“Don’t eat that in here,” Emma hissed, elbowing him in the side.

“Whaa?” replied Tyrone with his mouth full, showing off the poor table manners that Emma had mentioned before.

She bent down next to him and whispered directly in his ear so that none of the elves would overhear her. “Look, believe me, it’s not fun, having a couple hundred elves standing around watching you eat. It’s kind of creepy, really.”

“Gotcha,” Tyrone whispered back with a gigantic wink, as Emma straightened back up and announced loudly,

“Thanks for the puddings, people… elves… Erm, we actually have something to do that’s, er, urgent, so if you don’t mind, we’ll be leaving right about now.”

The elves’ faces fell and their ears drooped as though the idea of watching two teenagers eat dessert was the most exciting thing that would happen to them all year. Sadly, this was probably the case.

“We’ll be back!” Tyrone assured them, flashing his infamously brilliant smile at the elves and topping it off with his patented wink. “Try not to miss me too much.”

“Stop winking so much, you look like you have some kind of psychotic eye twitch!” said Emma, but she was laughing.

The two of them settled down with their plates in a comfortable alcove in the corridor and leaned against the wall together.

Tyrone chuckled to himself. “We’re such bad influences on each other,” he commented. “I mean, it seems like every time we hang out, we do something crazy.” He took a big bite of pie. “How do you know so much about the castle, anyway?”

“You’re looking at a Weasley here,” Emma told him, wiggling her eyebrows. “Not to mention that Haley’s got the Marauder’s Map, and I bashed my brains out studying Hogwarts: A History for the Triwizard thing last year.”

“Oh yeah, that challenge.” Tyrone shuddered. “The one where I was on that paranoia potion and I was too scared to walk down to the Great Hall on my own and you had to help me… that was really weird. I was trying to forget about it. Thanks, Em.” He was silent for a moment, gazing off into space and running his fingers absently through his short curls. “You know,” he said at last, “That’s, erm, a pretty cool dress. You, well, you look really…”

“Sweaty?” supplied Emma, cutting him off. “Yeah, I probably do. But then, you’re--”

“”dashing? Thanks, I””

“”brag too much, yeah, we all know,” she finished for him, loving the concept of getting the last laugh. “Why are we finishing each other’s””

“”desserts?” Tyrone suggested, taking a biscuit off of Emma’s plate and stuffing it into his mouth. “I have no””

“”Mustache!”

Tyrone narrowed his eyes. “Okay, that’s going too far!” he yelped, spraying Emma with crumbs as she cackled like a hyena. He sighed. “Every conversation we have turns out like this, doesn’t it?”

“Well, yeah, I have to insult your not-a-mustache every chance I get, don’t I?”

The boy gave her a half-smile. “I get the point, Ems, but that’s not really what I meant,” he said. “What I mean is, I’ll start off with something to say, and by the end, we’re just goofing off and I don’t get the chance to say it, you know?”

“Goofing off!” Emma exclaimed indignantly as she crossed her eyes and balanced an éclair on her nose. “Why, whatever could you possibly mean?”

“Oh, don’t get me wrong, goofing off is fun and all,” Tyrone continued, not even bothering to acknowledge Emma’s spectacular éclair-balancing skills. “I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s one of my favourite things to do. But it’s just… sometimes, I kind of want to talk without, you know, turning everything into a joke. I know, I know, I’m being lame… but what I’m trying to say here is, can you just listen to me here for a minute?”

Emma squinted at him, trying to figure out what he meant by that. True, nearly every conversation they had could be classified as ‘banter,’ but was there anything wrong with that? “What’s the big deal, anyway?” she asked. “What are you talking about?”

“I guess…” Tyrone stumbled over his words, trying to find ones that worked. It was like one of those Rubik’s cube puzzles. “I don’t know, it just seems like sometimes you have to give these crazy reasons for everything, like, ‘I’ll go to Hogsmeade with you, but only to get you to stop bothering me.’ ‘I’ll go flying with you if you stop singing that song.’ ‘I’ll hold your hand, but remember, it’s just a teamwork exercise.’” He paused. “I’m going to sound so stupid here, but sometimes, I just wish you’d say, ‘Yeah, I’d like to. Yeah, I like hanging out with you.’”

What was he getting at now? “I’m not following you.”

Tyrone looked her in the eye, and she didn’t look away. There was something captivating in their swirls of hazel, speckled with green flecks and gold dust. Boys really shouldn’t be allowed to have such pretty eyes.“I really did like dancing earlier,” he said quietly, and his breath was soft and warm on Emma’s face. Not surprisingly, it smelled like chocolate. “And I like hanging out with you. And maybe what I’m trying to say is, I just like you.”

His nose was almost touching Emma’s, their faces so close together that his features blurred before Emma’s eyes. Almost as though he was preparing to dance again although they were sitting down, Tyrone’s arms wrapped gently around Emma’s shoulders, and he leaned in closer. Having Tyrone so close made Emma’s heart do strange things that she wasn’t sure were healthy. She could hear her pulse pounding in her ears. Emma brought her arms up as well, reaching toward his face. And then suddenly…

“Tag, you’re it!” shouted Emma, bopping him in the back of the head and racing around the corner.

“What the”Emma, wait, what are you d””

But Emma had already darted into the girls’ lavatory, found a stall, and bolted the door shut. Her breathing was laboured as she drew her knees up to her chest and hugged them tightly, her eyes pricking and stinging inexplicably.

She’d come so close. She’d almost let herself slip and give into something she’d declared long ago she would never even dream of doing, not even in her worst nightmares. She could be friends with Tyrone. She could go to a harmless little dance with him, watch a film or two, go flying a few times. But she’d resisted Tyrone for so long that there was no way she was going to let herself give in any time soon.

After all, the one thing Emma Weasley prized above all others was being in charge of herself. No matter what, she would never let anyone else control her or push her around, especially not a boy. If there was anything that she could be proud of, it was that nobody told her what to do.

* * * * * *


Meanwhile, back in the Great Hall, Ted and Ivy were thoroughly enjoying themselves at the ball. They were far from the most graceful or coordinated of dancers, and their vast height difference didn’t exactly help, but they always had a good time dancing, talking, and simply spending time together.

“I think I just accidentally stepped on my own foot!” Ted noted. “D’you think I get bonus points for that?”

Ivy smiled, amused as always by his affable awkwardness. Here eyes were bright and her cheeks were flushed from the dancing. As the song ended, she happened to glance over toward the food table where a set of deep yellow robes caught her eye.

They just so happened to belong to Charybdis Nott, standing with a dark-haired Slytherin boy but constantly casting glances over toward the far end of the room.

Ivy followed her gaze and saw Ophidias slumped over in the corner, wearing the same black robes and miserable expression as always. “I think Charybdis Nott is mad because Ophidias wouldn’t go to the ball with her,” she said thoughtfully. “And he really looks miserable.”
“I feel sorry for her,” said Ted thoughtfully, a rather surprising statement seeing as Charybdis rivaled Professor Zabini for the title of his least favourite person at Hogwarts. “She’s been awful lately, but I mean, I know I’d be mad if you went away for a year and then when you came back, you didn’t want anything to do with me.” He looked over toward Ophidias. “I feel sorry for both of them. Azkaban must be a nightmare.”

Only Ted could say something like that, Ivy thought to herself, and she admired him for it. Try as she might, she wasn’t sure that sympathy would ever be the first emotion to come to mind when she looked at Charybdis Nott. Still, as she looked over at Ophidias, that very same emotion welled up inside her.

Ivy remembered all too well her first year at Hogwarts, when she didn’t want to speak to the Slytherins”who were just as unwilling to talk to her, blood traitor that she’d been deemed”but the members of the other three houses knew her only as Draco Malfoy’s daughter and made sure that they were at least equally cold.

She’d known what she believed in and that she was nothing like Malfoy, but she’d been too shy to make her voice heard, too frightened to let anyone know who she really was. It had taken Haley to trust her at last and extend an offer of friendship before Ivy felt like she was able to be herself.

And now Ophidias was going through what she had. The people he’d known before he’d gone to Azkaban now seemed narrow-minded and cruel to him, and yet he didn’t have the courage to do anything more than hover like a ghost on the edge of society. Maybe all he needed was a little bit of trust and friendship as well.

Ivy looked up at Ted, her expression pensive. “Would you mind sitting out one song?” she asked him softly. “Because if you want to dance, that’s all right, too, but if you don’t mind, I sort of want to go do something.”

“Be my guest,” he replied, peering at her through his shaggy hair. “Although I am kind of wondering what this is about?”

“Don’t worry,” replied Ivy, “You’ll see in a moment.” She gave him a hug, and, adjusting the ribbon in her hair, made her way across the room. Recalling the etiquette training in which Pansy had enrolled her when she was small, she held her head high “as though suspended from an imaginary string,” as she remembered the instructor singing. She stopped in front of the chair in the far corner of the Great Hall.

“Ophidias,” she said gently.

The occupant of the chair’s head snapped up, and he stared at her with weary eyes. “What?”

“Look, you should be dancing and having fun. I can’t just watch you sit here looking sad all night long,” Ivy told him.

He made a noise like a rhinoceros sitting on bagpipes. “Yes, you can. Just don’t bother me. Go back and dance with that stoner werewolf boyfriend of yours like a good little Gryffindork.” Just because he was ‘good’ now didn’t make him nice, Ivy thought grimly.

“Ophidias, he’s not a sto””

“I know, I know. Can you just go away already?”

“No.” Ivy’s voice was small but defiant as she extended her hand. “Dance with me.”

Ophidias’s pale eyebrows shot up. “Excuse me?”

“I want you to dance with me,” she repeated. “A brother-sister dance, like when we were little and took etiquette classes together… only this time, it’s not ballroom dancing, of course.”

It was what Emma liked to call a ‘pity dance.’ Pity dances were something Haley was good at, but this was Ivy’s first”not counting the time Tyrone had asked her to the Valentine’s Day Ball as a favor, not realizing that she already had a real date.

“I… I can’t just get up and dance!” Ophidias protested, in an oddly rusty voice. “Especially not with you!”

Ivy’s hand remained outstretched. “I remember the first ball I ever went to, I thought ‘Ophidias is the best dancer out there. I wish I could dance like him, instead of sitting here, too scared to stand up on the dance floor.’” She looked at him pleadingly. “I don’t want to be annoying, but I do want to look out for you.”

“Why?” spat Ophidias. “You’re not even my sister anymore. You’re adopted now, remember? And don’t go feeling like you have any responsibility. I mean, I never looked out for you. All I ever did was, I dunno, threaten you and get your friends in trouble.”

“And so I’d better be nice to you so you won’t start doing that again,” Ivy told him, smiling. “And that’s why I’m looking out for you.” She smiled. “Dance?”

There was a long, long pause that seemed to stretch out over the space between them. Finally, Ophidias stood up from his chair and ran his hand through his stubbly hair. “All right,” he sighed, shaking his head. “Better you than Charybdis, at least, and this is my favourite song and all.” He hesitated for a moment, looking around the room. “You know, it would completely wreck your reputation, dancing with a someone like me.”

Ivy looked over at Haley, her sister and her first-ever friend, as she danced with Anatoly. She didn’t look as though she cared about what might happen to her reputation. She looked like she was having a good time.

Ivy smiled at Ophidias again. “And?”

* * * * * *


Haley hummed to herself as she skipped into the restroom to touch up her lip gloss. The dance was delightful, the refreshments were delicious, and her mood was delirious from a combination of sugar, adrenaline, and ‘80’s music. It was turning out to be quite a marvelous seventeenth birthday.

So it came as quite a surprise when she entered the bathroom and realized that she wasn’t alone.

“Ooh, company!” squealed Moaning Myrtle as she floated up from one of the stalls in a mildly disconcerting sort of way, clapping her pudgy, transparent hands together. She was not moaning at all, which was never a good sign When Myrtle was in high spirits, so to speak, it usually meant that someone nearby was having a dreadful time.

“Oh, hi, Myrtle, I’m just, uh, doing my lips. So, how are you? You look… different.”

It was true”Myrtle was grinning vindictively, quite an unfamiliar and somewhat ominous sight. “Tht girl thought she was so tough, so brave last year. She didn’t give a thought about trying to make me feel better. And now it serves her right, she’s in here and she’s crying and it only goes to sh--”

She was cut off by a rather choked-sounding and extremely rude suggestion that echoed forth from inside one of the bathroom cubicles.

Haley knew that voice and that tendency toward the improper. “Emma?” she gasped. “You in there?”

“Too right I am,” Emma snapped from within the stall. “But I’m not crying… Myrtle’s just being an idiot.”

Haley pushed the door to the cubicle open, where she saw her friend curled up on the closed lid of the toilet. Her eyes looked puffy, her nose was red, and her hair was mussed and disheveled”it was highly unlikely that she hadn’t been crying, but Haley chose to ignore that.

“What’s wrong?” she asked concernedly, plopping down on the grubby and damp floor, fine robes and all. She may have cared a lot about her clothes, but she cared more about her friends.

“I don’t feel good,” Emma replied, shifting uncomfortably. “I think I’m sick.”

“Sick? Like, BLAAAAAUUGH?”

Emma nodded, her eyes downcast. “My stomach feels weird. But I’ll be okay, I just need some time.”

“Are you sure?” Haley asked.

“Yeah,” sighed Emma. She changed the subject, a typical Emma tactic to be sure. “So, this a good birthday for you? Lots of presents, dancing with that gross Slytherin pal of yours, finding out you’re Gryffindor’s heir or whatever?”

Haley let out a little giggle that sounded unsure whether it wanted to convey amusement or amazement. “I just don’t understand this whole heir…” She paused to correct herself. “Heiress of Gryffindor thing. I guess it means I’m brave or something, but if I’m in Gryffindor, I don’t see what’s so special about that. We’re all brave, aren’t we?” She shrugged happily. “I’m not going to give it much thought, though. What’s really confusing here is Jordan.”

“What else is new?” snorted Emma. “He’s always been the most confusing person I know. Right when you think you get him, he goes and does something really weird.” She wiped at a stray mascara smear under her eye and only succeeded in spreading it down across her cheekbone.

“Yeah,” agreed Haley, “but still, a Seer? Dad and Mum are going to completely flip out.” She looked extremely happy about this.

Emma grimaced. “Yeah, it’s really gonna take some getting used to.”

“But it should be fun!” Haley smiled mischievously. “Being a Seer has got to make him less boring. And maybe he’ll be able to get into people’s heads better with all this, whadyacallit, wisdom or whatever, and stop being such a prat about people who have actual feelings.”

The colour seemed to drain from Emma’s face, and her eyes narrowed. “If he tries getting inside my head, I’ll give him an injury to his,” she muttered. “Psychic or not, it’s just creepy messing around with other people’s memories and stuff.”

Haley didn’t look troubled. “Oh, I don’t know, I think it’s pretty awesome. Haven’t you ever thought about seeing the future?”

“No,” her cousin replied flatly.

“Oh… well, I have. Every time I have a cup of tea, I look for some kind of sign in the tea leaves. I’m kind of jealous of Jordan, really.” Her voice was bright, making it obvious that if there was any jealousy on her part, it was of a peaceful nature. “I’m the one who loves Divination and all…”

She paused thoughtfully, gazing off into thin air so that it looked as though she was quite intent on reading the “ZABINI IS A GIT’ graffiti someone had scrawled on the inside of the stall. “You know, she said at last, “This… Heiress of Gryffindor thing, it’s just really weird. I can’t get my brain around it. I mean, if Jordan’s already a genius and good at pretty much everything, I guess I can see how it makes sense that he’s Merlin’s heir. Merlin was crazy creative with magic”I mean, he invented half the spells we use every day. I can see Jor-jums doing something like that. But me…” She looked down at the skirt of her robes.“I know I’m brave and all that, but so’s everyone in Gryffindor. It’s just so weird that I’d be the one.”

Emma rolled her eyes. “Don’t be stupid, you’re one of the bravest people I know.”

“I’m nowhere near as brave as Gryffindor,” Haley stated. “Not like I wish I was braver or anything, ‘cause you and e both know I’m perfect how I am, right? I just think… you’d be a way better Heiress of Gryffindor than me. You’re the one who’s insanely brave.”

Emma stared at her, and her eyes were hard and dark. “No, I’m not,” she said quietly. “I’m not brave at all.”

* * * * * *


“MERLIN. Often referred to as Merlin of Camelot or Myrddin Wyllt. Birth date is unknown, though he was said to be two hundred years old when he died in 1204. Widely considered to be the most brilliant wizard in history, Merlin was a man of prodigious intelligence, magical skill, and the wisdom of an extremely accomplished Seer.

Some experts believe that he may have been born to poor Muggle serfs, mainly because no birth of a child with his name was documented by the Ministry of Magic, although others believe that his birth was not recorded because he may have been illegitimate. Either way, he grew up in rural Wales, where he greatly loved the outdoors and was often seen with among animals. He was said to be extremely energetic and bright, and had a hunger to learn as much as he could about the world around him.

When he was small, he witnessed an extremely gruesome and bloody battle that so disturbed him that he fled and lived alone in a cave for the next several years. Withdrawn from society as he was, most believed him to have gone mad from the horrors of the battle, but when he emerged at last at age fifteen, he was a fully capable Seer who had received his full powers unusually early, possibly because from the psychological shock.

According to legend, Merlin often wrote and sang ballads during his years in the cave, and those who walked by often believed the area to be haunted when they heard a beautiful, disembodied voice singing from out of nowhere.

Merlin was among the first pupils to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, although he started in his fifth year. He was greatly admired for his ability, specially noted by Godric Gryffindor, and in his years at Hogwarts, he developed such important components of magic as Apparition, Occlumency and Legilimency, and many common spells and potions.

Compassionate toward Muggles and believing that magic should be used to help them even if they did not fully understand it, he founded the Order of Merlin when he was only sixteen years old. The organization still exists today, and bestows its prestigious award upon wizards and witches who make outstanding contributions to their fields.

Indeed, he did become greatly involved with Muggles. He served as a mentor for young Arthur Pendragon, the famous king of Britain in its utopian Camelot days, and he was an integral part of Camelot’s court. Even Muggles are familiar with the name Merlin because of this, although most believe him to be a myth.

Merlin did eventually marry a beautiful and skilled witch named Vivienne Nimue, who was said to have been raised by forest nymphs and loved nature even more deeply than her husband.

They had a son, Gwion Wyllt, together, but when he was still quite young, Vivienne left Merlin. Some old stories say she loved the woods so much that she trapped her husband inside an oak tree, but this is a confused mangling of the truth.

In reality, she transformed herself into an oak for the rest of her life. Merlin was deeply sorrowful and visited the tree every day until he one day simply vanished, long after Arthur and Gwion’s own deaths. While Merlin is often depicted as an old and wizened man at Camelot, he was in fact only ten years older than Arthur, and they were friends just as much as mentor and student. But after Vivienne left, when Merlin was in his thirties, he aged dramatically almost overnight.

His true name was not Merlin, although that was the nickname that he chose to use. His given name was Myrddin, but this was changed because it was difficult for those not native to Wales to pronounce, and because of a joking observation once made by Erasmus the Irksome, who compared him to the merlin, a sort of small falcon found in England that is exceedingly swift and often successfully challenges birds much larger and fiercer than itself.

Merlin himself was small and slight of stature and quick both mentally and physically, and as a boy prodigy, he often challenged the false wisdom of so-called prophets far older and more experienced than he. He enjoyed the comparison and chose to use it for the rest of his life.”



Jordan closed the book and coughed slightly as a cloud of dust enveloped him. Ever since his seventeenth birthday, he’d been discovering all he could about Merlin and reading up on his life. He’d already discovered a bizarre amount that they had in common… thought he hoped the ‘wife turning herself into a tree’ thing didn’t apply to him.

The last few days had been like living in someone else’s body, and it wasn’t only he that had changed. The way people reacted to him was different as well. Just a few days before, he would typically have been greeted in the hallway between classes with a few casual ‘hi’s, some ‘when’s Quidditch practice today?’ maybe a ‘get out of my way,’ and possibly a ‘quick, help me with my homework, because it’s due in ten minutes and I haven’t started yet and Zabini will kill me’.

Now, he was either regarded with a sort of respectful intimidation or with a boundless curiosity. It seemed like he was constantly inundated with a stream of questions. He wondered if this was what it must be like to be his father. Everyone was either too frightened to talk to him or was too awed to stop talking. His personality probably didn’t help much, either, he thought. While his father had always had an ‘aw shucks, I’m just a regular guy’ air bout him, Jordan had never found it easy to be friendly.

According to Professor McGonagall, the last true Seer the school had seen was Professor Trelawney, and not only had that been very long ago, she also wasn’t much of a Seer. So it was understandable for the student body to get excited about Jordan’s gift. Just not very enjoyable.

“Jordan,” said a very brisk voice from behind him. He turned around to see Cecilia Longbottom, standing with a stack of books. “I want to talk to you.”

“Please do,” replied Jordan, though his flat tone was not nearly as gracious-sounding as the words might suggest.

Cecilia took a seat opposite him at the table, and Jordan got his first good look at her since his seventeenth birthday. The sunburst he had noticed around his own reflection was not something that set him apart from the rest of the world. Everyone had his or her own aura, and now he could see them, though he wasn’t quite sure how to interpret what they meant.

Ivy’s was a tranquil shade of pale shimmering blue, while Emma’s was a virulently pulsating orange with a faint pinkish tinge around the edges and an odd little brown spot near the centre. Ted’s, in accordance with his two-metre height, was quite large, an interesting mix of black and white in a harmonious yin-yang like arrangement. Tyrone’s was a bright, almost neon shade of purple, flecked with gold in a way that Emma would recognize as quite similar to his eyes. But even larger than Ted’s aura was Haley’s, at odds with her petite stature, and it blazed around her in a chipper shade of cherry red.

Jordan had gotten used to seeing everyone’s auras, and Cecilia, he noticed, had barely any, only a faint halo of a pale buttery yellow.

“Well, I know we haven’t worked on our genealogy projects in awhile, and I think we should get some stuff done on it,” said Cecilia, brushing back her long brown hair.

Jordan nodded, feeling rather glad that some things never changed. It was somehow pleasant, that sensation of déjà vu”he’d met with Cecilia for so many sessions of work on the Inter-House Unity project, and being a Seer hadn’t changed that. “I did do some work on my own,” he said, sliding his journal over toward her. “Come April, Professor Zabini’s going to be absolutely gobsmacked.”

Cecilia leaned over, resting her chin on her hand slightly nervously. “Hey, er, I was at the ball on Valentine’s Day, and, well, I couldn’t help but notice that you were going on about being Merlin’s heir.”

“Yes, yes I am,” Jordan agreed with the casual air of someone who’d just been asked whether he was fond of chocolate. “It’s definitely different, but I’m, er, adjusting to it.”

“Well… I don’t think we should put that on our project,” Cecilia said quickly. “It would be safer just to go back as far as our research goes.”

“Safer? What do you mean?” asked Jordan, his brown furrowing.

Cecilia sighed. “I mean that we can’t turn in a project based on a dream that you had! We need sources and data to back up what we’ve learned, and there’s nothing here in the library that says you’re related to Merlin and Godric Gryffindor.”

Jordan’s eyes took on that dark, penetrating look they’d had so frequently in weeks past. “Nothing in the library that says that? I’m in the library, aren’t I?” he said quietly.

“Look, I don’t mean to offend you, but nobody’s ever proved that Divination is real. It’s imagination and lucky guesses. I’m not calling you a liar, but people who guess right a lot and have weird dreams can end up fooling themselves. But there’s no real proof!” exclaimed Cecilia. “I’m not calling you a liar, I know you really believe this, but maybe you’re just… wrong.”

Jordan couldn’t believe what he was hearing. How could anyone suggest that what was happening to him was all his imagination? He’d provided plenty of proof. He was a sensible person. Shouldn’t Cecilia recognize that he wouldn’t come out in the open about something like this unless was certain?

“Everything looks different and I can remember things that happened to someone else, or that haven’t happened yet,” he said. “Is that enough proof for you? It’s not my imagination that you almost died when you were nine because your mother mixed a potion that was supposed to thicken hair but that was actually poison.”

Cecilia gasped. “Who told you that?” she spluttered.

“Nobody did,” Jordan informed her calmly. “I have memories from the past and the future stored in my mind, and sometimes, if I concentrate particularly hard on one subject”for example, your childhood”if I’m lucky, a good memory might come to mind. It’s a bit like the index of a book. You see individual topics, but you don’t know anything about them until you turn to the proper page. Do you understand?”

“No,” replied Cecilia. “This is insane.”

“Maybe it is,” snapped Jordan, “But I’m not.”

“That you I hear, Ceci?” Professor Longbottom called as he wheeled out from behind a row of bookcases.

Cecilia winced at the nickname. “Yes, it is, Dad,” she said without enthusiasm. Jordan could sympathize with that”he had not been happy with his own father teaching at Hogwarts for a year.

“Listen, have you seen my bag of fairy moss spores?” the professor asked his daughter. “Because I remember I had it with me yesterday in the library, but now I can’t find it, and I need it for a lesson, so I came back to the library to look again and see if I can””

“It’s hanging off your armrest,” Cecilia interrupted, not even bothering to look up from her books to see if she was right.

The Professor looked down below his armrest and chuckled softly to himself when he saw an extremely conspicuous bright yellow bag, marked in large black letters, “FAIRY MOSS SPORES.”

“Oh, right!” he exclaimed happily, rather reinforcing the ‘absentminded professor’ stereotype. “Thanks, Cecilia, I don’t know how I’ keep my head on without you.”

“Thanks,” replied Cecilia without enthusiasm. “Oh, and, er, Dad? Your cardigan’s on inside out.”

Professor Longbottom squinted down at his torso to see if this was the case. “Oh, yeah, it is, I remember. I spilled pumpkin juice on the front at breakfast, so I just turned it inside out so you couldn’t tell. Well, good night! And have fun working on your project.” He began to wheel away, then turned back, smiling. “Jordan, tell your dad I’m really proud of you.” And with a wave, he was off toward the corridor.

Cecilia looked a bit embarrassed. “I don’t see how he can know so much about plants and nothing about common sense,” she mumbled, then turned back to Jordan. “Well, how far back does the Potter family go?” she asked, all business again.

“On paper, it goes back to Theophilus Potter in 1291,” he stated, “but it’s ludicrous to stop there when we can trace back to Merlin.”

Cecilia sighed in an exasperated way that reminded Jordan strongly of his Aunt Hermione. “Because! There’s no way to cite your sources!” she told him. “I can tell everyone that I had a vision that I’m descended from Jack the Ripper, but””

“Jack the Ripper was actually three women,” Jordan interjected in a smooth, slightly bored voice.

“Whatever!” Cecilia exclaimed, not impressed by this display of Seer knowledge. “But anyway, saying I’m related to him won’t mean it’s true! And I’m really not trying to be mean, but I can’t believe you until I know what you’re saying is true.”

Jordan looked at her sadly. There was no way he could explain himself, much less convince her that he was speaking the truth. And he knew that Cecilia wasn’t going to be the only person who wouldn’t understand.

He wished Telemency existed.
End Notes:
Ivy just had her birthday on April 4th, and I'm having my seventeenth on April 14th. Just keepin' things updated for y'all! Happy Easter, everyone!
Chapter 16: In Which Emma and Ted Are Just A Tad Cranky by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Submittin' this chapter for the second time around... I don't own Harry Potter, the Spanish Inquisition, Superman, the Wizard of Oz, Charles Dickens, or Frankenstein and probably never will.

“SNAPE DIARIES MISSING; AUROR WEASLEY FACING INQUIRY An interesting new development in the Ronald Weasley case has arisen. After months of the entire Wizarding World deliberating and debating over whether Severus Snape gave any signs as to his true loyalty during the Final Battle against Voldemort, Auror Hadrian Bellowes has remembered a critical detail.

“When Potter’s Eight were given the Albus Dumbledore Award, each member also each given a token to symbolize his role in the battle,” he recalls. “Among Weasley’s was a set of diaries belonging to Snape in the two or three years before the battle against Voldemort. I know this to be true because I was the Auror who presented them to him at the time.”

These diaries were, apparently, strictly for show, not for reading. Weasley was warned not to open any of the books in case they contained a dangerous, undetectable curse.

Thought to contain Snape’s motivations and actions in the days before the battle, the diaries were kept in Weasley’s home for over twenty years.

Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement Uther Smith-Smythe requested last week that the diaries to be turned over to his department so that the cursebreakers could examine them, but Weasley did not comply.

Weasley claims that the diaries are missing and that he had never moved or even looked at them since he first put them away, and that only his immediate family and closest friends know where they had been kept.

Weasley has been instructed that the diaries must be returned within two months, and that he will face legal consequences”namely a short sentence in Azkaban for withholding information from the government”if he does not oblige.”


Emma crumpled the sheet of paper into a ball and kicked it into the fireplace. “Idiot Ministry,” she snarled under her breath, and collapsed back into the sofa, arms folded across her chest.

How could the Ministry be so stupid? Wasn’t it clear that her father didn’t have the diaries anymore? If they’d been stolen, it wasn’t his fault, and they could use Veritaserum or Legilimency to prove it.

She squeezed her eyes shut, rubbing at the prickly goosepimples that were popping up on her arms. Her dad had helped the Ministry catch lawbreakers for over twenty years. Didn’t they realize it was highly unlikely that he’d intentionally break the law? If anything happened to her dad because of that moron Hadrian Bellowes, she was going to… well, she was going to be upset, that was for certain.

But nothing will happen, she reminded herself quickly. It’s okay. Dad’s not going to go to Azkaban or anything. Even the Ministry aren’t that stupid.

“Ermmm… Em? You okay there?” a deep voice asked hesitantly.

She didn’t even need to look to know that it was Tyrone. Why did he have to be everywhere? She almost expected him to turn up whenever she least expected it. He was like the Spanish Inquisition. Or the Spanish influenza.

“I’m fine,” she replied dispassionately, examining her nails. “It’s just… cold in here.” She hadn’t seen or spoken to Tyrone since the ball a few days previously, and she hadn’t really hoped to. Just hearing his voice made her feel awkward and queasy, not two of her favourite ways to feel.

“Oookay,” said Tyrone. “Well. Um. Look, the ball was… weird. I won’t freak you out like that again. Promise.”

Emma gave him a deadpan stare. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Er, right. But anyway, we haven’t gone on a midnight broom ride in awhile, and tomorrow’s a weekend, so I was thinking tonight--”

“No, you don’t.” He was cut off by a low, flat voice from the doorway. Jordan stepped into the room, wearing his Extra-Serious Face.

“What is this, some kind of block party?” Emma muttered. “Why does everyone keep charging in here?”

“Because it’s the Common Room,” her cousin said. “Anyway, you can’t go running off into the Forbidden Forest, especially after curfew. I’ve already told McGonagall and Gauge that I’ve seen some students sneaking out to the forest at night, so if you try anything, you’re both going to be in serious trouble.”

Tyrone shrugged his broad shoulders defensively. “Hey man, if you really, really don’t want us to go into the forest, then we won’t, but what’s the big deal? Why did you have to tell Gauge? That’s really not cool.”

“It’s dangerous,” Jordan spluttered. “You’ll… people have died in there.”

“Really?” Tyrone asked with great interest, leaning forward. “Who?”

Jordan’s face was stony. “That doesn’t matter. In any case--”

“Jordan, just give it a rest,” snapped Emma, standing up and gathering her cloak around her shoulders in the futile attempt to keep them from shaking. “You might be smarter than the rest of the school put together, but that doesn’t mean you can tell us what to do every waking second.” She began to stalk away, then paused and turned around.

“Watch the forest all you like, but you might as well save yourself the time. I’d rather gag myself with my wand than go flying with him anyway.” She looked Tyrone straight in the eye. “And quit following me around like a lost puppy dog, Tyrone. It’s really starting to get on my nerves.”

And with that, she stomped out of the Common Room and down the stairs of Gryffindor Tower. She needed some fresh air.

The grounds were largely empty and already dappled with shadows by the setting sun. She wasn’t sure whether or not that was a good thing. It seemed to her that people were never around when she felt lonely and that no one would leave her alone when she wanted some privacy. What with Jordan acting like some kind of cop whenever she wanted to do something fun and Tyrone popping up everywhere like the bogeyman, she could never get a moment’s peace.

And heaven forbid she actually wanted a brief chat with her best friend, because Haley”crazy, laid back, homework-hating Haley”was too busy working on her stupid Inter-House Unity project with that hideous Slytherin friend of hers.

It was ridiculous, really, how stupid Haley could be. What Slytherin had ever done anything useful? She knew about Slytherins. They were conniving, used dirty tricks, lured people into a false sense of security. It didn’t matter if they seemed nice, if they acted like they genuinely cared about their targets, if they had some kind of sob story to tell. Slytherins were nothing but evil, twisted phonies.

But Haley clearly hadn’t learned. Just that morning at breakfast, Emma had been expecting to tell her cousin an amusing story about how Valencius Twigg who sat next to her in Defence Against the Dark Arts had fallen asleep with his eyes open in a seriously freaky way and had a lively conversation with thin air in his sleep. (Apparently, he was attempting to seduce a supermodel by describing all the different specimens of potted plants he owned.)

But to Emma’s consternation, Haley did not sit down next to her with her usual cheery greeting. Instead, she’d breezed straight by, passed the Gryffindor table all together, and plopped down… at the Slytherin table, directly across from Anatoly Capshaw. “Hey!” she’d exclaimed merrily.

A fourth-year boy had stared at her like she was an alien who had just happily announced her intent to blow up the earth to make room for an intergalactic chicken coop. “This is the Slytherin table!” he’d exclaimed.

“Oh, good, I thought it was,” Haley had replied, her expression earnest, and she’d helped herself to some toast and begun chomping and chatting away, discussing her project with her partner and introducing herself around to all of the Slytherins.

She was absolutely bonkers. Emma wrinkled her nose at the memory as she made her way across the grounds. Haley wasn’t the only one who was spending all of her time in different company, either. Ted and Ivy might as well have lived in an alternate dimension or something, because she almost never saw them apart these days. They had really gotten sappy in the last year or so, and it was disgusting. They were like a mushy little fairy tale pair.

Emma detested mushiness of any kind. And she had never cared for fairy tales.

* * * * * *


Ted felt itchy and ill as he stared at his dinner. He could tell that the silverware really was genuine silver, and his well-done steak looked leathery and unappetizing. “The full moon’s coming up in just a few hours,” he thought to himself. Normally, his aversion to silver and cooked meat was nonexistent in human form, but it was very close to transformation time… and it was also getting closer to his seventeenth birthday.

“What’s wrong, Tedward?” Haley asked, prodding him in the arm with her fork.

He winced. The metal felt cold and sickening, and it made his head spin and his teeth itch.

“Why aren’t you eating anything? It’s a big day today… gotta get your energy up.”

Ted smiled, if rather weakly. “It’s the silver,” he explained. “I mean, silver’s not really a problem for me at all unless it gets into, you know, my bloodstream or whatever, and I’m not really sure how that’d happen… usually, I’m okay with it unless I’m a wolf, but I don’t feel great right now. It’s like…” He searched for an appropriate analogy. “You know Superman?”

Everyone nodded, except for Ivy, who looked completely confused. “Who?”

Emma laughed. “You’re such a Pureblood,” she said fondly. “We need to corrupt you more.”

“Superman’s a guy from these old Muggle comic books,” Ted explained. “He’s got all these superpowers, he can fly, he’s got super strength, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound, any of that. But there’s this stuff called Kryptonite, and if there’s any of that around, he gets weak and his powers stop working.”

He shrugged. “That’s what the silver’s doing right now… only I don’t have any superpowers… that you know of.”

He vaguely remembered talking about Superman the previous year, but he’d had no idea Ivy hadn’t known what he'd meant. Of course, she’d never been big on speaking up, but he wished she would to him at the very least.

A whiff of a soft, clean scent with a hint of orange drifted gently up his nose, and he blinked and sniffed the air. It was Ivy, her usual sweet orangey scent. Only a few hours away from the full moon, Ted’s wolfish sense of smell was beginning to kick in, and it was both a blessing (Ivy) and a curse (Tyrone’s gym socks) to be able to smell everything so well. He wondered if perhaps this was how it felt for Jordan, being a Seer, although he imagined that it would be with the sense of sight, not smell”unless Trelawney really had it wrong. Maybe Ted was gifted with the Inner Nose or something.

But of all of the smells around him, his favourite was definitely Ivy’s, and he recalled back to his first-ever transformation at age fourteen. One of the thoughts that had remained in his mind all night long as tried to sleep in his strange new body was how wonderful Ivy smelled. I’m lucky to be a werewolf, he’d thought, or I’d never realize.

Lucky to be a werewolf, Ted thought, and smiled. There were always silver linings for any dark cloud, and as far as he was concerned, there were probably rainbows in any hurricane as well. And this was his, his sense of smell.

There was one smell in the Great Hall, though, that stuck out, his least favourite smell of all. It made his stomach churn more than the nauseating scents of silver and cooked beef put together. It was Professor Zabini, and his clothes, his skin, his fingernails all bore the distinct stench of Wolfsbane.

Ted knew Wolfsbane was a good thing, the ingredient that helped him stay relatively sane on full moons, but there was something in him that cried and howled every time he forced the Wolfsbane down his throat. He was sure he’d smell like Wolfsbane to any other werewolf as well”after all, Zabini seemed to carry the stench with him at all times.

“You need to eat something,” Jordan instructed. “Go to the kitchens and ask the house elves for some sort of alternative meal if you don’t want this one. If you don’t eat dinner, your blood sugar will drop and you’ll go pass out again, and that’s certainly not what you want.”

Ted nodded, getting to his feet. “Good idea,” he agreed. “Thanks.”

I need more than this shoe leather they call meat, he thought. I know what meat’s like, and this isn’t it. It’s not really meat unless it’s fresh and raw and you can taste its blood in your mouth…

He suddenly realized how truly disgusting his mind was being and that a faint purring growl was quietly escaping his mouth. Not gentlemanlike conduct at all, Ted, he reprimanded himself.

Ted cleared his throat, covering up his growl with fake coughing that sounded almost exactly nothing like real coughing. “Right-o, then,” he announced. “It’s time to go hunting. For, er, mac’n’cheese or something.”

Jordan’s eyes were intense as Ted walked away. “Make sure the door to the Shrieking Shack is completely closed before you transform,” he said, his voice dark and purposeful. A small crease had appeared between his eyebrows.

“What? Oh, er, sure,” Ted said carelessly.

He did listen, though. That evening, he made certain to shut the door to the Shrieking Shack (or as Tyrone was fond of calling it, the ‘Love Shack’) before he settled down on top of his bed with a random paddleball game that was lying around.

Over the years, the Shack had become more and more of a portrait of who Ted was. The walls were covered in photographs of his friends and family waving at him and pulling goofy faces. One of his favourites was a picture of him and his friends dressed up for Halloween”Haley as Glinda the Good Witch, Emma as a dangerous looking pirate-ninja-type woman (Ted had been too intimidated by her costume to ask exactly what she was supposed to be), Ivy as a medieval princess, Jordan as a vampire like the previous ten or so years, and Ted as a wacky hippie in a ridiculous wig. Tyrone was lurking on the sidelines, dressed up like Tarzan, or some other jungle-type character that gave him the excuse to wear very little.

The room was bright and cheery, decorated in bold shades of red and blue. In fact, it bore quite an uncanny resemblance to his own bedroom at home, and he always felt just cozy and relaxed in the Shack as he did there. All he needed was some company.

Right on cue, the door swung open and an invisible person stepped inside the room. “Hi,” said Ivy, pulling off her Invisibility Cloak and casting it aside. “It looks like I’m not too late after all.” She smiled. “I’d hate to miss the show.”

She closed the door behind her, remembering her brother’s warning. “Ophidias is the Prefect guarding the door tonight, and I had to be extra careful getting past him. He takes guarding the door really seriously, since he was the Prefect on guard the night Malfoy was going to take over Hogwarts, and he let him in… you know how it is.” She sat down next to Ted.

“Yeah, we’re supposed to guard tomorrow, right?” he said offhandedly, then added, his voice introspective, “Azkaban really changed Ophidias, didn’t it?”

“Yeah.” Ivy nodded sadly. “I just wish it would change my mo… Mrs. Malfoy.”

Ted touched her hand. “You know you can call her your mother, right?” he told her gently. “At least around me-- I’m not going to think bad about you or anything.”

I’m not going to think badly about you, Ivy corrected mentally, but she wasn’t about to make any comments about Ted’s grammar out loud anytime soon unless she somehow magically transformed into Jordan. “I just don’t want to think about being a Malfoy,” she told him. “I guess it sounds stupid, but I””

“No, I get what you mean,” Ted told her. And he did. It was a part of Ivy that she didn’t like to acknowledge, just like that new, stronger wolf inside him. He didn’t much like to think of that bloodthirsty animal as being Ted Lupin.

He glanced at his watch. “Okay, Ivy, I’m about to turn furry and about twenty times cuter than usual in five… four… three… two…”

He felt the moonlight wash over his body and relaxed his muscles, knowing from the experience of two years of transformations that it would make it far simpler and much less painful if he struggled as little as possible as his body twisted and changed. He lay as still as he could and hummed faintly, thinking about anything but the pain of his bones snapping and remolding themselves, his face mutating and bulging, his teeth sharpening, coarse fur shooting through his pores like tiny needles.

And then, he felt the raw, driving hunger in the pit of his belly, the keen but brutal urging to claw something… and he knew that the transformation was over. He was a wolf now.

He sprang deftly onto all fours and padded over to Ivy, now in her Animagus form as a soft white arctic fox. Always much smaller than Ted in human form, the size difference was now almost comical, but they were used to it.

“How was your transformation?” Ivy asked him, her voice echoing in his mind. “You looked okay.” She wasn’t really speaking English ‘words’”it was his mind translating from the canine equivalent the same way Jordan’s brain seemed to translate his dreams now.

Ted always found it amazing that she could watch him in the hideous transition stages between boy and wolf”he’d seen Arden DuBois transform, and it was truly sickening to observe”but then, he thought, Ivy probably got used to it, just as he’d gotten used to actually making the transformation. His first time was horrific, but now it was almost routine.

“I’m good,” he replied, shaking the dust from his fur. “We’re going to have to sweep these floors sometime soon, though.” He hated the gritty sensation of the particles rubbing up against his skin”wasn’t that what his fur was for, to protect it from irritation?

He made his way over to the mirror, the next step in his monthly routine. Every full moon, he always made a point of looking at himself in wolf form to become accustomed to his appearance. It worked well. Nowadays, he hardly felt at all surprised to see a wolf looking back at him from the mirror, and he knew that if he saw his picture in a lineup of wolves, he’d be able to pick out his own face in an instant and say, ‘oh, yep, that’s me.’

He wagged his tail at his reflection playfully, panting. He looked pretty good, he thought”his fur seemed thicker and shinier, and his eyes were bright and clear. The insulin potion he’d been taking was really working well, and it was easy to see how much healthier he was feeling.

Tonight, Ted was restless. He didn’t want to confine himself to the small, stagnant room like he had before, didn’t want to spend the night in a world of beds and chairs and tables and other manmade furniture. It was all dead, lifeless. He wanted to run along through the forest, feel the wind rippling through his fur and smell the cool, crisp air.

And he was hungry, ravenously so, despite the dinner he’d eaten in the school kitchens. That food had been bland, nothing like the excitement and thrill of eating his own prey, a creature that had been alive and running only seconds before. But more than anything, he wanted to share it with Ivy. He wanted to be able to give her the fruits of his hunting, show her that he could be more than just a little tame, house-trained puppy.

He paced the floor, listening to the faint clicking sound of his claws on the smooth wood. Look at me, he thought to himself. What am I doing cooped up in a cage like this? These claws aren’t made for tiptoeing around on wood floors and fluffy pillows. I don’t have these razor-sharp teeth for eating macaroni and cheese and broccoli.

His teeth ground against one another, frustrated at their wasted sharpness, and he let them sink deep into a defenceless Spiderman pillow and tear out its stuffing. It wasn’t good enough. There was no challenge in pouncing on a cushion and attacking it. It wasn’t even alive. It couldn’t fight back.

Ted stalked over toward the door of the shack, desperate to make his escape. Jordan may have told him to keep the door closed, but he’d forgotten something rather important”for a wolf, Ted was quite large, big enough to easily reach the doorknob with his mouth. He gripped it with his jaws and gave it a twist… but just as he was about to wrench it open and make his escape, a voice said,

“Ted? What are you doing?”

He whirled around and saw Ivy standing behind him, her fox’s face wearing an expression of truly human concern.

Human… Ted’s stomach lurched and he snapped out of his gnawing at the doorknob. He felt absolutely appalled at what he had been thinking and doing. It was almost as if he’d forgotten that he was human, retained his human intelligence but let his thoughts and emotions be overwhelmed by the simple and coarse mind of a wolf.

Ted was nauseated by the fact that he’d even thought about escaping from the shack and going hunting. I could have killed Haley or Jordan or Emma, he thought, horrified, and nothing would have stopped me.

He caught a glimpse of his reflection and stared at the wolf he saw in the mirror. It did like him at all all of a sudden. The big paws and gangly legs, the light browny-grey fur, the floppy outsized ears were his, but the eyes weren’t. The light blue eyes that had always remained the same, no matter what form he was in at the moment, were wild and glassy as those of an animal. It scared him, seeing himself like this. What was wrong with him?

“What are you doing?” repeated Ivy, more softly this time, as she walked up to him and nuzzled her head against his chest. His muscles relaxed at her touch, the intensity of the wolf melting away.

“Ummm… I’m teething?” he replied with the closest thing to a lopsided grin that his muzzle could form. “Yeah, I’m feeling really hyper today. I need to move around,” he added, and proceeded to gambol and prance around the room like a drunken dingo.

Ivy eyed him carefully, but said nothing.

“Want to join me?” asked Ted.

“Er… that’s all right. I’d never be able to keep up with you anyway,” Ivy replied. “Your legs are three times longer than mine.”

Ted’s frisky frolicking was more than just an excuse for his strange behavior”it was a way to use the power and energy stored in his lean wolf’s muscles, energy that he knew could be channeled into violence if he wasn’t careful. He knew his father had told him that he could control himself if he was careful, but how careful did he have to be to keep from harming anyone? Was this really what kindly and even-tempered Remus Lupin went through every day?

It seemed bizarre that he’d only been a werewolf for two short years. Pacing back and forth, reciting the things that made him human, he realized that it was oddly difficult to remember what it was like not to be a werewolf. Being a werewolf had slowly consumed his whole life, like it or not, and if he wanted to remain human instead of turning into a feral monster like Fenrir Greyback, he had to make sure it didn’t consume more than that.

He looked over at the small arctic fox sitting in front of him, so beautiful and serene and truly and completely Ivy Potter. Nothing was corrupting her brain. “Ivy,” he said, feeling gratitude and something else slightly unfamiliar pulse through his body as he looked at her. “Thanks for coming here.” He wished his human hands were available, because he wanted nothing more than to reach out and touch her.

“Thanks,” she replied, sounding slightly confused. “Why?”

Ted didn’t know how to say it, so he simply lay down next to her and leaned his head against her. “Goodnight,” he said quietly.

* * * * * *


"Ted’s transformation was a little weird last night,” noted Ivy, sitting cross-legged on her bed in the dormitory the next evening when she was sure she and the other girls could be alone.

“What, you mean it wasn’t like the normal way a boy magically turns into a wolf?” Haley asked innocently.

Ivy rolled her eyes, but she was smiling. “You know what I mean. He kept running around and acting… well, kind of spastic. I hope he’s okay.” She twirled the end of her braid absently. “We had a nice time, though. I always like just getting a chance to hang out with him by ourselves.”

Haley poked her sister in the arm. “I’m always jealous of you two people,” she said. “You and Ted are so cute.”

“Sickeningly cute,” agreed Emma. “You’re so… happy.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ivy, not quite sure she and Ted had reached the level of ‘sickening’ just yet. “Since when is it bad to be happy?”

Emma was quiet for a moment, trying to piece together exactly what she wanted to say. “Well,” she began, “you know when you see two old people walking together and they’re holding hands and looking all fluffy and lovey-dovey? And they’re just so completely nuts about each other that the bloke doesn’t even notice that his wife has got poofy blue hair and big funky glasses and hideous polyester pantsuit pulled up to her armpits and a turkey neck, and she doesn’t even notice that her husband’s got the world’s fakest combover and liver spots and jowls and trousers that are like three inches too short with stupid-looking socks underneath?”

“Er… yeah…” Haley replied slowly.

Emma grinned. “That’ll be Ivy and Ted in sixty-odd years.”

Ivy blinked. “I think I should be offended,” she informed her cousin, rolling onto her back and hugging her stuffed wolf.

“Don’t be,” Emma told her. “Believe me, it’s a compliment. I know people who’d kill for a life like that.” She paused. “Even though I think it’s pathetic,” she added.

Haley shrugged, bouncing up and down on her bed. “Doesn’t really matter to me,” she said happily. “I go to dances and dates in Hogsmeade and stuff with anyone I want. I don’t really care about having a serious boyfriend or anything. I mean, I’m seventeen. I say live it up.”

“Hmm.” Emma stuck out her tongue. “Eh, boys are all nutjobs,” she said. “Either they never notice you or they won’t leave you alone. I’m glad I don’t have to put up with one.”

Haley attempted, overly optimistically, to raise one eyebrow, although she failed as miserably as always. “Reeeeally,” she said, “because it seems to me that you do an awful lot of… putting up with this one tall, dark, and handsome Gryffindor beater I know…”

“Shut up!” exclaimed Emma, though she was laughing. “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Oh, I think you do-ooo!”

Ivy smiled to herself as her friends got into a violent argument with much pillow-smashing. She loved being in the company of maniacs. Speaking of maniacs, though, she was more worried about Ted than she let on. There was something strange about the way he’d acted the night before, and when she’d looked at his face, he’d seemed alien, incomprehensible for a moment. That was new. She hadn’t had trouble reading Ted before, simply because he was Ted.

But she didn’t see how that could be possible. Ted had never been anything but human before, even when he looked like a wolf. The weird look in his eyes must have been her imagination.

And then, there was that other look. Right before Ted had gone to sleep, he’d had a strange look in his eyes, as well… but a completely different one. It didn’t look wolfish at all. She didn’t think she’d ever seen an expression so… human before.

“Eurgh, stop! Haley, now you’re just being sick!” Emma said as Haley giggled hysterically. She hurled a pillow at her cousin, but without quite the lighthearted playfulness of before. “Annoying me isn’t going to do anything for you except maybe if you really want to be hexed into oblivion.” She stood up and pulled a jumper on over her head. “I’m getting out of here.”

Ivy looked at her, confused. She must have missed something Haley had said while she’d been worrying about her favourite werewolf. “Where are you going?” she asked.

Emma rolled her shoulders agitatedly. “I’m going for a walk,” she said. “I think I’m going to hang out in the Room of Requirement or something… I just kind of want to chill out on my own for a bit.”

“Can’t argue with that,” Haley chirped. “Everyone likes a little ‘me’ time.”

“Yeah,” Emma snorted. “So long as you don’t call it that.”

* * * * * *


Jordan sank into his favourite chair in the Room of Requirement with a sigh, tucking his time-turner back into his t-shirt. Even with the time-turner, it just seemed to him that there weren’t enough hours in the day. In between his huge amount of homework, complete with extra credit (he had to work extra-hard if he wanted to remain top of his class), his Quidditch practice every day, his guitar practice, his Inter-House Unity project, and his correspondence with Giorgi, he barely had any time to spend by himself.

Although at first he’d limited himself to using his time-turner so that he could take Divination at the same time as Muggle Studies, in the past few weeks, he’d changed time to accommodate a rarer fraction of his schedule”leisure time. Even Jordan had to rest sometimes.

At the moment, his other self (an interesting side effect of time travel) was having a project work session with Cecilia, a stressful and aggravating meeting that he himself had finished with over an hour before.

There were two different types of time travel, he’d learned”one to actually change the past or future (he dared not experiment with that one) and one to send oneself back or forward in time in order to do two things at once. Each type of time travel was controlled by a different end of the device. He wasn’t sure exactly what sort of magic caused the time-turner to work”like Merlin had said, it was definitely a logical impossibility”but so, he was learning, were many other things.

Speaking of Merlin, Telemency had been one of many things on Jordan’s mind lately. He’d peered into the memories of great magicians of the past, looked through everything he could about Telemency, but he could find absolutely nothing. After Merlin, the art seemed to have been dismissed altogether; if the most brilliant wizard of all time couldn’t do it himself, appeared to be the common consensus, no one could.

But Jordan couldn’t accept that excuse. He was dedicated to the point of fanaticism to anything that caught his interest, as anyone who had played on the Gryffindor Quidditch team or watched him study could testify, and he was determined to find a way.

He was so caught up in his own thoughts and other wizards’ memories that he positively jumped when the door banged open and a figure stepped inside.

“What”Jordan?”

“Emma?”

Their expressions mirrored those of two lions who had discovered they’d each claimed the same piece of the pridelands.

Jordan sighed. “Emma, I’m trying to do some serious work in here. I wasn’t expecting anyone else to arrive. Is it at all possible for you to find someplace else to go?”

“What, didn’t you See me coming?” Emma shot back archly. She folded her arms in a manner that clearly stated that she meant business. “You just left the Common Room not ten minutes ago to do your dumb Inter-House unity project in the library. How was I supposed to know you’d be here?” She sat down, unbudging. “I’ve got just as much of a right as you to be here.”

Jordan pressed his lips together in irritation. He knew Emma well enough to know that it was very difficult to persuade her to do anything. As if that didn’t completely cement his decision, he noticed that her aura looked wild and turbulent, and sparks were beginning to break free from it in a pretty scary sort of way. “Well,” he said, “I’m attempting to discover Telemency, which nearly everyone agrees is impossible, and I need silence and concentration… unless, of course, you’re volunteering to be a subject.”

“I dunno… what does a subject do?” Emma asked warily.

Jordan found it unthinkable that she could know next to nothing about the theory of Telemency, but he tried not to look exasperated. “Theoretically, Telemency is a branch of magic a bit like the opposite of Legilimency,” he explained. “The idea is to be able to enter another person’s mind and transfer thoughts or memories from one person to another. For example, you could show Professor Zabini what it feels like to have so much Potions homework.”

Emma’s face froze in a curious manner, her jaw tightening, and her freckles standing out on her pale face. “Wait, you want to mess with people’s minds and stick your thoughts in their heads?”

“Well, yes, that’s the idea,” Jordan confirmed nonchalantly.

“No way. No way, I’m not helping you with that kind of mad science.” Emma’s eyes narrowed, and as they contracted, her aura seemed to shrink and tighten around her.

Jordan laughed dryly. “Mad science? I think you’re over-exaggerating just a bit.”

Emma glared at him, curling her legs up in her armchair. “Listen, you stay far away from me whenever you feel like you want to do a bit of mucking around with someone’s mind. I don’t want my mind read every second, and I definitely don’t want you putting your ideas in my head. I… I just don’t want you around me, okay?”

This caught Jordan off-guard, and he looked rather offended and a lot more vulnerable than he usually did. “Don’t tell me you’re scared of me?” he said, his voice uncharacteristically soft.

“In case you haven’t noticed, Jordan, you’ve turned into a freak … And I’m not scared. You just…gross me out a little. And honestly, I don’t care if I’m being rude”it’s high time someone told you how much you’re creeping everyone out.” Her eyes blazed as if daring him to call her scared one more time and see what happened.

Jordan’s face fell. Emma was one of his oldest friends, and now after knowing one another for seventeen years, she didn’t want him around simply because he was weird? What was wrong with ‘weird,’ anyway? He’d always been weird. Emma knew that better than almost anyone else. And the rest of his friends weren’t exactly normal, either. “But what about Ted? Logically speaking, you can hardly call him normal, but you seem to have no problem consorting with him.”

Consorting? What kind of a… it’s not his fault he turns into a wolf every full moon,” snapped Emma.

“Obviously,” Jordan responded sharply. “It’s not his fault”any more than it’s my fault that I’m Merlin’s heir.” He looked serious. “But Ted’s changing, too”you know what I mean, and you can’t possibly ignore that, whether you want to or not. I can tell just by looking at him, and I’ve never been good at understanding people. Compared to that, I’m hardly all that different, am I?”

He looked up at her, his eyes, so dark and unlike Haley’s now, full of an unfamiliar candid sadness, an acknowledgement of the fact that Jordan wasn’t completely in control of his life anymore. He looked shockingly young.

“Ted’s just having some mood swings because of his insulin potion!” exclaimed Emma. “And he still acts a whole lot saner than you. Anyway, don’t change the subject. You’re a Seer who wants to break into people’s heads, and now you’re acting like you expect me not to get weirded out by that?”

“Yes,” Jordan told her bluntly. “Because it’s just who I am, and it’s who I’m going to be from now on, so I recommend you get used to that. Besides, I would never try to use Telemency on you”you know I’m too intelligent to try anything that idiotic. I know very well by now that people end up getting hurt if they try to get you to do something you don’t want to.” He paused. “And I know there’s more to Ted’s problem than a few mood swings. From what I can tell, he has these… lapses in judgment where he almost forgets he’s human.”

“Really. He forgets he’s a person. Now tell me what that’s supposed to mean, if you can bear to put it into words that regular people can understand?”

“I don’t know,” Jordan said hollowly. “And honestly, there aren’t many things that I don’t know.”

There was a silence, and at last, Emma looked him in the eyes, though her expression was more disapproving than ever. “Were you being totally serious when you said you wouldn’t mess around with my mind?” She pulled the rubber band from her ponytail and shook out her hair absentmindedly.

Jordan looked somber. “What do you think? I’m a man of my word, Emma. Name one occasion when I broke a promise.”

Emma pretended to stroke an imaginary beard. “Hmmm… well, let’s think. Who do we know who you promised you’d work with on your project and ended up being too busy sitting here arguing and dragging me away from Tyrone shouting ‘get away as fast as you can!’ all week?” She smirked. ‘Man of his word?’ Jordan may have been legally of age, but as far as she was concerned, he was just a shrimpy teenager who took himself way too seriously.

Jordan was indignant. This was a gross exaggeration. He had not dragged her anywhere, nor had he shouted. He had simply… taken preventive measures. “Your point is a good one, but it’s still wrong. I didn’t miss working on my project with Cecilia. If I did, don’t you think we would never hear the end of her nagging?”

This made even less sense than anything else Jordan had said since Emma had walked into the Room of Requirement. He could sit in the Room of Requirement with her, or he could work on his project with Cecilia, but not at the same time. “Look, I just don’t like change!” Emma exclaimed. “And there’s a little too much of that going on in my life right now.”

Jordan laughed darkly. “We, as a species, are afraid of change,” he said, his voice turning harsh and bitter. “We talk about innovating the world, but then, somebody actually attempts to and everyone jumps on him. Look what happened to Galileo. Socrates. DaVinci. And the man who concluded that perhaps Muggle doctors should wash their hands between dissecting corpses and helping women give birth? Thrown into the insane asylum, of course.”

He shifted in his seat and continued, his tone turning softer, less sure of itself. “I honestly don’t know what to think about being a Seer. Sometimes, I’m excited, and sometimes, I’m terrified. I just keep thinking about Galileo, Socrates, DaVinci…they changed the world. They’re still household names, even though they’ve been dead for centuries. That could be me. And on the other hand, I could meet the same fate they did. The greatest men aren’t appreciated until after they’ve died… which gives me a lot to look forward to.” Glumly, he conjured an apple out of thin air, then took a big bite.

Emma’s eyes bulged at this casual display of skill. There was something disconcerting about this new Jordan. Jordan Potter should never, ever be introspective. “You called me afraid of change?” she shot back. “I’m not. I’m not really afraid of anything.”

“No,” Jordan said quietly, though he managed to make the single word razor-sharp. “That’s not true. I think you’re afraid of almost everything.”

Emma jumped to her feet. “What do you mean?” she demanded. No one had ever accused her of anything like that before. All of her friends, family, acquaintances, and enemies usually agreed that when it came to Emma Weasley, the one thing that went without saying was that she was totally fearless.

Jordan sighed. “You act the way you do because you’re afraid,” he told her, his voice returning to its usual flat tone. “I’ve never been good at understanding people. Especially girls. But I can… read things now that I didn’t used to be able to see, and I can tell that you’re scared… all the time. At least this year. And believe me, that hardly helps me understand you any better.”

“You”you’ve got that all wrong,” Emma hissed. “Actually, you were right about one part”that one part where you said you don’t get people, because there’s no way you were even close to being right. And I don’t care what you believe, or what your theory is, or what Plato or Merlin or whatever had to say about that. I don’t want to hear anything more from you about me.”



She stormed across the room, heading for the door. “There is one thing I want from you,” she added. “Stay away from me, okay?”

“I would be delighted,” Jordan responded as flatly as he’d ever spoken in his life. “You know I’m right, though,” he said. “I’ve always known there had to be something that makes you so… volatile. And if you told me now, I could stop being such a nuisance to you. Telling me that you’re not afraid isn’t going to fool me.”

The two of them stared at each other across the room, Jordan’s eyes icy and Emma’s fiery. After a gaping silence, Emma spoke at last. “You want to know what my problem is?”

“Yes, I do,” Jordan replied eagerly, leaning forward just a little too much.

“That’s great, because I’m going to tell you right now.” Emma smiled in an odd, twisted way. “It starts with a ‘J’ and ends with an ‘ordan.’”

And with that, she stomped away, taking care to slam the door behind her.

Jordan laughed hollowly. He was still so gullible, even with all of his new knowledge. He should have known better.

He remembered the days when he had always felt overshadowed by his father, had done everything in his power to stand out on his own. Now, he had this special gift that he’d apparently inherited from one of the greatest wizards of all time, and he realized that he’d give anything to be normal instead, or at least to feel like he was part of the same species as the students all around him. Being a Seer didn’t answer all of his questions about the world; it just brought up even more strange, tantalizing questions that he knew he could never find the answers to in one lifetime. There was so much he couldn’t see, and it was so frustrating.

Will I ever feel normal again? he thought.

He replied aloud to no one but himself, “There’s no way.”

Anyone who could see how the future would turn out, remember the past like he had been there, see people’s auras, was definitely a freak by definition. He wondered if he would have any friends at all left by the end of the year. He’d never exactly been the darling of Hogwarts, and the only things he had in common with Tyrone Thomas were a Y chromosome and Quidditch skills, but being a Seer didn’t help these matters any.

The young man got up from his chair, turned off the lights, shut the door behind him and made his way on down the corridor. He felt rather strange, but seeing as that was what he was and always would be, he decided that he’d better get used to it.

* * * * * *


Tyrone Thomas was foaming at the mouth.

He spat his toothpaste into the sink with a loud ‘ptui!’ and took a quick gulp of water. Contrary to popular opinion--namely, Emma’s-- he actually did put effort into maintaining his perfect smile, even if he did crunch his candy canes a bit too loudly sometimes.

He grinned at the mirror, running his tongue over his teeth, and licked the beads of water clinging to the fuzzy hair over his top lip. He flexed his bicep, noting smugly that the sleeves of his t-shirt were beginning to feel uncomfortably tight once again. Satisfied by his appearance as per usual, he stepped forth from the bathroom into the boys’ dormitory.

“And he’s set a new world record for longest time ever spent in school loo!” shouted Andy Yang, Tyrone’s friend and fellow beater. “I thought you’d died in there!”

“Shut up, you say that every day,” muttered Tyrone, rolling his eyes. It wasn’t as if he took outlandishly long or anything. Just because he didn’t go without brushing his hair for months on end like Jordan and just because he practiced proper hygiene didn’t make him vain.

A feminine voice said quietly, “Don’t worry, my sister takes loads longer than you do. The girls’ dormitories need at least three more bathrooms.”

Tyrone wasn’t even slightly surprised to see a girl, namely Ivy Potter, sitting on the floor of the boys’ dormitory. She often spent the evenings there doing homework with Ted, presumably because the Common Room was too noisy. Or maybe because quiet, timid little Ivy just got a thrill from sitting on the bed where Ted slept. You never know.

Indeed, just then, Titus McLachlan, one of Tyrone’s roommates, zipped into the room. “Hey, the Lucas brothers are having a hex match in the Common Room. Who wants to watch?”

Immediately, Andy bolted to his feet. “I’m there.”

Ted shrugged sheepishly. “Er, I do, actually. And, er, I should probably make sure nobody gets hurt, too, since I’m a Prefect and everything.” He glanced at his girlfriend. “Do you want to come?”

“In a few minutes,” she replied. “You know how I am… I just have to finish my homework before I do anything else or I can’t think straight. I only have a few inches left to write on this essay, anyway.” She smiled. “You ahead and watch, though, and I’ll stay here and finish up.”

“Well… all right, if you want,” Ted said. He gave her a light little kiss and stepped back with an exaggerated salute. “Until then.” And with that, he followed Andy and Titus to see the Lucas brothers turn one another into grotesque jellies, or whatever it was they did.

“You coming, man?” asked Andy.

Tyrone shook his head. “Nah, I’m really tired. Tell me if Granger-Weasley yells at them, though, ‘cause that’s always fun. Especially when her hair does that thing where it looks like there’s lightning coming out of it. Godric, she reminds me of Emma sometimes.” He smirked. “See you later, then, mate.”

“Later.”

The three other boys zipped away from the dormitory, and Tyrone collapsed back onto his bed, his arms folded behind his head. Normally, he’d love to watch the Lucas brothers duel one another, but on this particular day, he wasn’t feeling very sociable. Valentine’s Day had been days ago, and he hadn’t talked to Emma a single time since, except for when she’d turned down his invitation to go flying.

Still, her words stuck with him, and they stung. She’d compared him to a pathetic little puppy that followed her around and wouldn’t leave her alone. Did he really follow her around? Pathetically? He’d always considered himself very good at not being pathetic.

Andy kept making jokes about how Tyrone spent more time with the ‘superheroes’ than with the ‘guys’ lately (he and Titus, as well as Roran O’ Reilly from Hufflepuff, were the ‘guys’; Emma and her four friends were the ‘superheroes’ as far as Andy was concerned), but Tyrone knew he kept his cool. He wasn’t a stalker or anything”why would she want him to leave her alone? If there was something on her mind, he could help. He’d always put her in a better mood before, at least.

Tyrone decided that a normal person wouldn’t keep thinking about such things three days after they’d happened, but then again, he didn’t take insults well. He’d always liked being liked.

When he was small, his father had insisted on enrolling him and his sister Tabitha in the Muggle primary school that he’d gone to as a boy. Tyrone could only guess that the school had really gone downhill since his dad had gone there, or else his dad hadn’t remembered it well, because the school was awful. It was like something directly out of Charles Dickens, complete with rough Cockney accents.

Tyrone just didn’t fit in there. Puberty hit him like a brick, and by the age of eleven, he’d already had a massive growth spurt and a cracking voice, and even some pretty horrible pimples before he learned to properly take care of his skin. He’d been clumsy and gangly and all-around Tedlike but without Ted’s confidence or social intelligence or loveable goofiness.

Basically, he’d felt like an oak tree growing in the middle of a bonsai forest, and it was humiliating”everyone either assumed that he’d been held back several times and was therefore as dumb as a rock, or that he was just some sort of genetically mutated freak. Most people liked this second option, and he was called ‘Frank’ constantly”short for Frankenstein. It didn’t help that he was teased about his so-called ‘posh’ accent and his not-inconsiderable supply of pocket money, that because of that everyone seemed to think he thought he was ‘too good for them.’

But little things like that weren’t what really set him apart. He didn’t know how to act. It was bad enough that he couldn’t grasp the rules or skills of football if his life depended on it, and he kept accidentally talking about things nobody else could comprehend at all, forgetting that nobody else at his school was magical.

Mostly, though, he was just too immature, despite the fact that he looked years older than his classmates. He’d been desperate and eager for people to like him, which, of course, meant nobody did. I guess I’m still a bit like that, he thought. I thought I’d chilled out since then. But following Emma around like a pathetic puppy? Not cool at all, Ty.

Naturally, things had changed when he’d grown out of his awkward stage and his mother had enrolled him in some kind of Muggle charm school to learn poise and manners and how to move and speak properly. Naturally, he’d embraced it when he came to Hogwarts and was instantly accepted by his peers. Naturally, he’d been flattered when older girls were attracted to his looks, charisma, and talent on the Quidditch pitch. Was it a crime to enjoy the attention that he got? He deserved it, his moment in the spotlight after being an outsider for so long and working so hard to be accepted. Naturally, he was extremely proud of who he’d become”after all, it was such an improvement from Tyrone Thomas Version 1.0

So naturally, he was upset when someone didn’t like him. If someone snubbed him, he was an awkward eleven-year-old all over again, and that wasn’t something he cared to relive. And he was afraid that Emma, whose friendship and grudging admiration he’d finally won, no longer wanted to spend time with him for whatever reason. What was up with her, anyway?

Seized by a stroke of inspiration, he cleared his throat and said, “Ermmm… Ivy?”

Ivy blinked and turned to look at him, clearly surprised to be spoken to. Tyrone smiled slightly, remembering the time he’d asked her to the Valentine’s Day Ball in their fourth year and the look of astonishment on her skinny, pinched-looking face. He’d had no idea that Ted had already asked her and that it wouldn’t be long before she’d end up in a relationship that had already lasted three times as long as any of Tyrone’s own.

“Hey, er, Ivy, have you, you know, talked to Emma lately?” Tryrone asked, his voice sounding weirdly loud in his own ears. Slow down, man, he reminded himself. Not so fast. And PLEASE don’t do that freaky breathing thing like you did when you were little.

Ivy smiled. “Er, yes, every day,” she replied in her soft, precise voice. “Why do you ask?”

Tyrone made a noise like a sick walrus. He knew he would sound ridiculously stupid, spilling his innermost thoughts to a girl he didn’t even know particularly well, but he was also confident that Ivy could keep a secret. After all, hadn’t she kept the rather large secret of being an Animagus from even her closest friends? “Do you…” he hesitated. “Do you think she likes me?”

Ivy blinked again. “Wow.” Ivy looked rather intimidated by his question, and she let out a quiet little laugh. “Wow,” she said again. Haley would probably be a better person to talk to,” she told him. “She’s the expert on that type of thing.”

“Yeah, but you’re the one who’s already here,” Tyrone replied sensibly. “I just… everything was going great when I was at the ball with her, and then she just, like, blew me off, and now she’s ignoring me. It’s weird.”

Ivy brushed her fringe nervously out of her eyes. “She’s been in a bad mood all year long,” she agreed. “It’s her dad”he’s in trouble, and she’s really worried about him. Don’t take it personally.”

Ha. Don’t take it personally. Tyrone had a long history of taking various things a little bit too personally… as did Emma, for that matter.

He lay back on his bed, not particularly comforted by Ivy’s words. He’d hoped for something a bit more definitive. Oh, who was he kidding, he’d hoped for a “Oh, Emma’s madly in love with you! I thought everyone knew!” But even Ted, Mr. Sunny-Side-Up Optimist himself, was never that blatantly unrealistic.

Ivy looked him over, and her pale eyebrows contracted. “You really like her, don’t you?” she asked softly.

Tyrone gave an odd, tight little smile. “Yeah… I thought that was kind of obvious, actually.” He hadn’t exactly been very subtle in his methods. His handsome face looked defeated and confused, like a tiger that had just lost a battle with a mouse. Finally, he said in a quiet, pensive voice, “Ivy… do you think Emma would like me more if… If I…” he swallowed. “If I shaved off my mustache?”

Ivy laughed, and covered her mouth hastily. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “Er… I don’t think that would help. I mean, I can’t say there’s anything you can do to make her like you more… She’s Emma. She’s not really the type you can persuade.”

“Brilliant,” muttered Tyrone.

“But I’ll try and talk to her,” Ivy said quickly. “I’m sorry I couldn’t help you more….” She paused. “I know you’re serious if you’re willing to give up your mustache for the cause.”


End Notes:
So, I saw that Star Trek movie... does Spock remind anyone else of Jordan?
Chapter 17: In Which Haley Puts On A Show by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
The songs quoted in this chapter are by the Beatles, not me. They are property of Paul McCartney and John Lennon. This is my cheesiest chapter yet.


“Are you getting cold feet about our project?” Anatoly asked anxiously.

Haley laughed. “No way! I’m excited!”

“Oh dear, I was hoping you wouldn’t say that,” groaned Anatoly. “Because, believe it or not, I was actually planning on surviving into adulthood, thanks very much.”

“Oh, Zabini won’t kill us,” Haley reassured him.

“Ah,” Anatoly said. “So he’ll just disembowel us and tie the ends of our guts to a tree and make us walk around until our intestines unwind.”

Haley threw a sugar quill at him, then looked as though she rather regretted this waste of sweets. “Come on, he might like our project.”

“Sure thing, and I’m a manticore’s uncle,” said Anatoly as Haley skipped off down the hall.

Inter-House Unity projects were due in just a few days, but Haley and Anatoly’s still needed some finishing touches, which was why the female half of the partnership was hoping for a favour from an unsuspecting pawn. She flung open the door to the Room of Requirement.

“Jorjy-Porjy!” she exclaimed, bounding into her brother’s favorite hideout.

She wasn’t surprised to see that her twin was lying flat on his back on a sofa, his eyes shut tightly and his lips moving as he muttered only his breath; Jordan had been so weird the past few months that weird was normal for him, and she was beginning to get used to it.

Jordan sat up. “Never,” he said, “call me Jorjy-Porjy.”

I guess some things never change, thought Haley, plopping down next to him. “So, what are you doing? Trying to find out if there’s life on other planets or something?”

“Well, actually, twenty-nine hundred and eight planets might support intelligent life, but only two near enough to ever make contact possible with us, even with our most advanced technology,” Jordan explained nonchalantly. “And even then, it’s highly unlikely because they think that we’re barbaric. Not that I disagree entirely.”

“That’s… nice,” Haley replied uncomfortably. Her stupid genius brother’s omniscience could be a tad off-putting sometimes. “Well, how’s the Inter-House Unity project?”

Jordan sighed. “Cecilia and I have come to an agreement,” he said, his voice flatter than a squirrel on a major highway. “We’re turning in our project as it is. There are no real boundaries for genealogy charts, so technically, we can stop wherever we want. It’s just… I was hoping to stop with Merlin and Gryffindor, for my own vanity.”

“My project’s pretty good,” Haley offered. “Anatoly’s actually a really nice guy, you know.”

“He has a strange aura,” Jordan said vaguely.

Haley didn’t even want to think about that, let alone ask. She just hoped that whatever her own aura looked like, it wasn’t giving away her intent”after all, it would be a bit more difficult to pull the wool over Jordan’s eyes now. She segued into a new subject, keeping her voice light and friendly. “So, I was talking to Anatoly earlier, and we were kind of arguing about music, and he said that I can’t judge the Beatles until I’ve heard more of their music. So… can you play some for me?”

“Er…” Jordan stammered hesitantly.

“Why are you ‘er’ing at me?” exclaimed Haley. “Don’t be embarrassed! I’m your twin sister! I’ve heard you sing in the shower your whole life!”

“That was supposed to encourage me?” Jordan asked incredulously.

Haley rolled her eyes. “Oh, just go on and play. The first song’s called… uh… something ‘lane’. It starts off talking about a barber…”

Jordan tried not to look eager to demonstrate his musical prowess, but he didn’t succeed. He grabbed his bright red guitar from behind the sofa and strummed a few chords. “You mean ‘Penny Lane’?” he asked, and began to play and sing.

“Penny Lane, there is a barber showing photographs
Of every head that he has had the pleasure to know
And the people come and go, stop and say hello…”


He continued with the song, and Haley sank back comfortably in her chair. She may have been the Potter twin who was wanted to make a living off of her voice, but she was always awed by Jordan’s singing when she got to hear it. His voice was so rich and warm and expressive, with just the perfect balance of polish and huskiness… nothing like the way he talked at all. When he was through with the song, Haley asked eagerly, “What about ‘Imagine’?”

And so they continued, through “Yellow Submarine”, “A Day In The Life”, “Hey Jude”, “All You Need Is Love”, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” (Haley was totally gobsmacked by the fact that someone had written a catchy ditty about a boy who murdered people by whacking them upside the head with a hammer), “Yesterday”, “Across the Universe”, and finally, “Come Together.”

Haley must have spent the better part of an hour raptly listening to her brother. She’d never been an especially big fan of the Beatles”showtunes and bubble-gum pop being more her style”but she great talent when she heard it, and she couldn’t deny that Jordan had it, in so annoyingly many ways.

In fact, she was so transfixed that she almost forgot about her ulterior motives. At long last, she got to her feet and announced, “Well, uh, that was… freakishly amazing. Thanks for playing for me!”

And with that, she gave her twin an affectionate little smooch on the cheek (causing him to stiffen and grimace in discomfort) and zipped off down the corridor.

As soon as she stepped outside, she drew out her wand and murmured, “Finite Incantatem,” ending the recording spell. Her masterpiece was ready.

* * * * * *


Ted and his father stood outside Professor Zabini’s office, waiting for their monthly dose of Wolfsbane potion. As always, Zabini was taking his sweet time, and it was not unlike sitting in his classroom at the beginning of the period not knowing whether he’d burst out of his storeroom in two seconds or twenty minutes.

“Has your Wolfsbane been working lately?” Remus asked quietly.

The question caught Ted off guard. Normally, he would say yes, of course”how could Wolfsbane not work? But now that he came to think of it, he wasn’t so sure. “I… I don’t really know,” he said. “I mean, it’s always worked before, but the last couple months have been…weird.”

He thought back to that one terrifying transformation when he’d actually considered escaping from the Shack and attacking students at the school. Although he knew his dad had been a werewolf since the age of four and had surely gone through his own violent spells, he couldn’t divulge all of the horrible things that had gone through his mind that night.

His father was always so proud of him, and he couldn’t just shatter that by letting him know that his son had turned into a homicidal freak. There was no way that Remus Lupin could have ever wanted to kill anyone. Then again, Ted would never want to kill anyone, either. He didn’t care to acknowledge whatever was warping his mind into such a twisted shape as ‘Ted’.

Remus peered closely at his son. “Do you ever feel almost like you’re not human?” he asked. “But your intelligence is the same?”

“Er, yeah, sort of,” Ted said slowly.

His father frowned. “I’ll tell Blaise to give you your potion every day, not just on full moon. You’ll want a stronger dosage, too.” He smiled. “Don’t worry, I’ve been through it all. It has to get worse before it gets better.”

Ted sighed uncertainly, looking like a confused little boy. “It’s kind of scary,” he admitted. “I mean, I could have hurt someone…”

Remus put a protective hand on his shoulder. “But you didn’t,” he said. “And it’s our choices that make us who we are, not our abilities.”

“Who said that?” his son asked curiously. “Other than you, I mean?”

“Well, Harry says he heard it from Dumbledore,” said Remus, “but I first heard it at the Final Battle against Voldemort.” His expression was faraway, transported into the past. “Do you remember how I told you that the eight of us weren’t the only ones fighting against Voldemort? That there were eight other people who we’d never seen before and never saw again?”

Ted’s brow furrowed. “Yeah,” he replied. “At detention. You said that one of them was a werewolf and helped you feel better about… werewolf stuff, right?”

Remus nodded. “It was all a little strange. He was a little strange, but you have no idea how it all changed my life.”

Ted gave him a crooked half-smile. “I kind of do. You helped do in Voldemort, then you married Mum, got your job back at the school, and had Christina and Nathanael and me.”

Remus laughed. “Well, that’s true.”

Just then, the door to Zabini’s office swung open, and the Potions master stood before them, tall, dark, and sinister as always and holding two foaming goblets. “Your potions,” he said, barely moving his lips.

Remus took them and passed one to his son. “Oh, and Blaise--”

“Yes, I assume your son’s graduated to an adult dose of Wolfsbane each full moon. I’ve prepared his accordingly,” Zabini responded coolly. It seemed very strange to Ted that Zabini had a first name; even stranger that his father could call him by it. He couldn’t imagine the Professor as a teenager with friends who called ‘Blaise.’ “I am not, contrary to popular belief, completely ignorant when it comes to werewolves.”

“Thank you,” said Remus, blinking slightly. He paused. “Now, Ted says…”

His son interrupted him. “I sometimes feel like a wolf even when I’m, you know, not one,” he explained, feeling that if anyone told Zabini, it should be him. “And my dad thinks I should probably take Wolfsbane every day, not just on full moons.” He was aware of how crazy he sounded, and wondered how drastically he had just changed Zabini’s perception of him.

But if Zabini was shocked by this statement, he didn’t show it. His expression didn’t change, and Ted was certain that he’d say something like ‘do you really think I have enough time in my busy schedule to make such a difficult potion every day?”

“I know you’re really busy and all, but it keeps happening, and I just want to make sure I don’t hurt any--”

Zabini’s eyes flashed. “There is no need to babble, Mr. Lupin. Clearly, you need the potion, and it’s my job as Potions master to make it for you.” He began to close the door to his office, plainly signifying that the conversation was over. “Pick it up in the Hospital Wing each morning with your insulin potion.”

And the door slammed shut with such force that the goblet in Ted’s hand almost spilled over.

“Well, that was nice of him,” Ted said brightly.

“Drink that, you need to have it in your system before lunchtime,” said Remus. He paused. “And stay positive.”

Ted smiled as his father walked off down the hallway and sat down in a cozy alcove, wedged between the wall and a suit of armour in a spot so narrow that virtually no one else in the school would have fit. He looked down at his potion, preparing himself for its gritty, bitter taste. But deep inside, something clawed and begged him not to drink it, for reasons completely unrelated to flavour. Wolfsbane truly was the bane of werewolves. Just as he constantly pushed to stay dominant over the wolf inside him, the wolf wanted control itself, and scrabbled to stay in charge.

Don’t bother drinking that, hissed a small voice in the back of his head. What good will it do?

Ted stared at the potion, steaming and foaming like the mouth of a rabid animal. “Well, for one, it’ll keep me from going mad and maiming the whole school,” he thought, making what he felt was a very sensible point.

The voice laughed, a harsh bark completely unlike his own slightly dorky-sounding chuckle. Don’t fool yourself. You know that every minute, part of you wants to do just that. The potion won’t help you now. Let go. Don’t worry about the human rules they try to force on you. They don’t apply to you… you’re not a human…well, not anymore.

Ted was beginning to think the voice was his conscience’s evil twin. How could he, the sweet one, the goody-goody, think such disgusting thoughts? “Dad said that I can control the wolf.”

You’ve slipped before, haven’t you? pointed out the voice. You’re acting like it’s not your fault, that it’s not you that attacked Charybdis Nott and thought about eating your classmates. That wolf inside you isn’t another animal sharing your body. It’s you. It’s Ted Lupin, just as much as the boy. More so, in fact. Accept it.

Ted’s head was beginning to ache. “No… I know what I’m like. I just need to learn how to take control and… be me again.”

If you have to try so hard to be ‘yourself,’ it’s not really yourself it’s being, though, is it?

“But I’ve never been like this before! Well, before this year.” Ted couldn’t believe how strange it was, arguing against his own body and mind and having them rebel against him. “I’m not violent,” he insisted to himself, more to reassure himself than the voice at the back of his head.

That’s what they all say, the voice told him darkly. People change.

The voice was cruel and unyielding and inhuman… and right. Ted had changed, whether he liked it or not.

He saw his face reflected in the shiny metal goblet, as wild-eyed as he’d been on the full moon. He looked deep into his own eyes, trying to glimpse the boyish twinkle that made them recognizable.

Nothing.

Ted grabbed the goblet and drained it in one gulp.

* * * * * *


THUD.

Zabini’s storeroom door slammed shut, and the Professor strode forth, his eyes gleaming coldly. “Your projects,” he announced, “are due immediately. I assume, of course, that each of you paid attention to my instructions. I expect a copy of the project from each student, as I’m sure your partners’ first-period teachers do.”

The class nodded mutely. They’d all learned long ago that failure to pay attention in Zabini’s class was greatly akin to suicide, and that all directions were mandatory.

“Good. I will call you up individually, and you will each hand in your projects, with the exception of Mr. Capshaw and Miss Potter, who are both in this class and must only turn in one copy. These make up a fifth of your grade for the term, and blahblahblahbblahblah…”

Well, he might as well have been saying “blahblahblah,” as far as Haley was concerned. It was nearly impossible to listen to Zabini’s constant monologuing, and she was feeling especially fidgety today

She scribbled on a scrap bit of parchment and passed it to Emma. “So, did you and Slugboy Blenkinsopp finally get your project together?”

Emma rolled her eyes and wrote back, “Sort of. We were up almost all last night, so that’s why I have bags big enough to keep goldfish in under my eyes.”

“What’s the project?”

“Eh, we wrote a play about the row Gryffindor and Slytherin had when Slytherin walked out.”

“Ooh, a play! Why wasn’t I invited?”

“Well, basically, we just yelled insults at each other and wrote them down and pretended it was a play. It’s very convincing, though. I’m expecting an O.”

Somehow, Haley doubted that a transcribed insult match was what the Professors had in mind when they assigned the project, Emma was infuriatingly right-- she always did quite well in school despite the fact that she didn’t put much effort into it. Her sharp wits could have easily been used to do homework, but instead, she used them to find clever ways to do as little work as possible.

Haley was beginning to really get nervous about the project, and she exchanged exaggerated nail-biting gestures with Anatoly across the room. Earlier, Haley had said she wasn’t worried about the project, but now that the time come, with Zabini in the flesh and everything, it was scary.

Everyone else had done a safe project. Emma and Nelson’s play, Jordan and Cecilia’s family tree, Ted and Roran O’ Reilly’s comic strip on Hogwarts history, Ivy and Tabitha’s biography of Rowena Ravenclaw. Why had she chosen to go controversial instead of picking a project that could be turned in without fuss?

But Haley being Haley, she knew she’d never be happy with the mundane. Her imagination was just as hyperactive as the rest of her, and she loved her project… just not enough to keep her legs from turning into jelly when Zabini called her name.

All other projects had been turned in without incident, and the time passed uncomfortably quickly. It seemed like only seconds went by before Zabini uttered, “Anatoly Capshaw and Harriet-Lily Potter.”

“Oh,” Haley squeaked, her voice echoing weirdly. “Yeah, um, I don’t have it.”

The entire class gasped, and Zabini swooped down on her like a giant bat. “What?” he hissed. His face was the mask of fury that he usually turned on students who failed to follow directions, but deep in his eyes there was a glimmer of pleasure, and the corner of his mouth twisted. His dreams that his two least-favourite students would fail to complete their project were all coming true.

“Oh, we did it,” Haley said quickly, “but we don’t have it right now.”

Zabini arched an eyebrow, causing Haley to shudder slightly with revulsion. “Excuse me?”

“Relax,” Anatoly chimed in merrily from the back of the room. “The best things come to those who wait.” The class looked as though Anatoly had just ridden in naked on a brontosaurus. Nobody ever gave suggestions as to what Zabini should do.

“You will receive a zero,” snarled Zabini, his lip curling in the way it did so frequently that it almost looked like a tic. “I expected a great deal more maturity and dedication from my N.E.W.T.s level class… even from you.”

Haley looked down nervously at her sparkly pink fingernails, drumming them on her desk. She’d done her work and finished her project, but she knew it would have to wait”it was all part of the plan. But even so, hearing that she would receive a zero as a fifth of her Potions grade only made her nerves worse.

She remembered how freaked out Jordan had been about the zero on his essay test, until he finally revealed he was a Seer and McGonagall forced Zabini to let him retake the test. At the time, Haley thought it was hilarious how worked-up her Jordan got about his grades, but now she could see why.

Ivy seemed nearly as anxious as her sister, being a very talented and experienced worrier. “Haley,” she whispered, “Don’t tell me you didn’t finish your project! You’ve been working so hard for months!”

“No talking!” demanded Zabini, and Ivy broke off immediately, casting one more concerned glance at her cousin.

Haley looked over her shoulder at Anatoly, who gave her a reassuring wink. It was beginning. Their project would be visible, audible, and tangible to the whole school before the end of the day.

Dinner, to be exact.

At first, nothing seemed different at the Gryffindor table, although this might have had a lot to do with how preoccupied everyone was. Emma was extremely busy ignoring Tyrone, making sure to glance absolutely everywhere in the Great Hall except at him, while Tyrone constantly darted his eyes in her direction to make certain that this hadn’t changed.

Ivy and Ted were laughing about one of Ted’s interesting potion-making mistakes, and Jordan was, of course, staring into thin air with unsettling intensity. So no one really noticed how bizarrely quiet Haley was being.

“So, I was thinking that if I added a couple of extra porcupine quills, my potion would be more interesting,” Ted was saying, with exuberant hand gestures. “Well, I guess if by ‘interesting’, you mean ‘exploding in my face and giving me disgusting orange spots and leeks growing out of my nose’, I was right.” He made a face. “You should have seen the looks I was getting on the way down to the Hospital wing. I looked like… like a Chinese New Year dragon or something.” He gave Ivy a bashful grin. “There goes any respect I got from the first years.”

Ivy smiled. “Only you,” she said, shaking her head. “You’re so… what-you-see-is-what-you-get.”

Ted looked rather uncomfortable. “Erm, really? I… actually, I--” He was cut off by a loud FSHOOM and an explosion of colour on the far wall of the room.

“Whoa… what?!” A clear image of the school was projected on the wall, accompanied by soaring background music.

“Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,” boomed a boy’s familiar voice, disguised with a rather bad fake Australian accent. “A house divided against itself. Or rather, four houses divided against each other.”

The Great Hall was filled with confused mumblings and mutterings as everyone looked around for the source of the video, and at the staff table, Professor Zabini demanded, “What is the meaning of this?” His head darted this way and that, peering suspiciously around the Great Hall.

“And ever since the feud between Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin, their houses have been particularly bitterly opposed to one another. But let’s see how the members of the Hogwarts houses really feel about one another.”

And the image of Hogwarts was replaced by a montage of Hogwarts students of every house who, unaware that they were being recorded, held doors open for one another, picked up spilled objects, gave directions, helped with homework assignments, returned lost objects, complimented each other on clothing, and every other possible indication of Inter-House Unity that could be spotted in the Hogwarts corridors. A series of Beatles songs played quietly in the background, so quietly that it was difficult to tell that it was neither Paul nor John singing… and it couldn’t be George or Ringo, either. That deep, husky voice was very familiar, but no one could quite put their finger on whose it was… except for one very red-faced Gryffindor.

A Hufflepuff girl with curly hair filled the screen. “You know,” she said dreamily, “There’s this one boy in Slytherin… his name is Carlos… he’s really, really cute. Not that he probably has any idea who I am or anything.”

Next, a shaky, grainy shot of the Slytherin boys’ dormitory revealed a dark-haired boy bent over a piece of parchment, scrawling, “Heather”You’re beautiful. Love, Somebody.” He tied it to his owl’s leg, attached a box of chocolate frogs, and quickly climbed back into bed as a sleepy voice in the background muttered, “Carlos, what are you doing?”

Every girl in the Great Hall watching ‘awww’ed in unison, while most of the boys looked horrified. One curly-haired Hufflepuff let out a squeal and may have passed out, while a dark-haired boy at the Slytherin table suddenly blushed and shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

Professor Longbottom’s face appeared on the screen next. “To me, it doesn’t really matter what house people come from. I’ve had brilliant students in all four houses… and students who can’t tell a violet from a venomous tentacula. I’ve never been able to stand biased teachers... and I’ve had a few.”

“When I was in school,” said Professor Granger-Weasley, “I never got along well with the Slytherins… well, Draco Malfoy and his friends, and that’s not the best representation of Slytherin house. I always assumed that that was what all Slytherins were like, but now that I teach here, the house that gives the most trouble is my own house.” She paused. “And often, my own family.”

Professor Lupin was next. “I think,” he said, “that I could have well been sorted into any of the four houses, and I’m sure the same could be said of most of the students here. We all have a little of each house in us in some way.”

The Hogwarts crest filled the screen, and the fake-Australian voice announced, “Inter-House Unity has already begun. And out of one hundred students surveyed, ninety-six said they’d like to get to know their fellow students better. Eighty-four said that members of other houses were friendlier to them, they’d be friendlier back. So what are you waiting for, Hogwarts? You’ve just finished your Inter-House Unity projects. This is ours”a Slytherin and a Gryffindor, who’ve gotten to be great friends. Don’t you want to try and change something around here? Most of the school does.”

The picture suddenly changed to an extreme close-up of Professor Zabini, showing every pore and follicle. “Put down your wand,” he snapped. “What is the meaning of… that wand is recording! Put it down immediately! Get it away from me! Are you even listening to me? EXPELLIARMUS!”

There was a clatter and his face was abruptly replaced by a sea of grey and white squiggles before the Hogwarts crest returned.

“Again, most of the school. But what do you expect from a man who… well, we all know about him and the potato! Good evening!”

And with that, the video was over.

There was a long, hesitant silence, while at the staff table, Professor Zabini was turning a rather interesting shade of purple and muttering to himself. And then, as if the thought struck all of the student body at the exact same second, the Great Hall burst into applause.

“Haley!” whispered Ivy, “that was your project, wasn’t it? How did you do it?”

Haley grinned. “A magician never reveals her secrets,” she replied, and got to her feet, smoothing her hair.

“Where are you going?” asked Ivy.

Haley’s grin widened to Cheshire-cat proportions, her eyes sparking disconcertingly brightly. “You’ll see in a moment,” she chirped, shooting a discreet glance over to the Slytherin table.

Just as Haley was standing, so was another figure, this one tall and taut-faced with dark eyes, dark robes, and an expression darker than both put together. Professor Zabini scanned the student body, eyes narrowed. And when he spoke, his voice was just as carrying as that of the Australian-accented voiceover on the video. “The… spectacle that just occurred was not approved by the school,” he proclaimed, “and if and when its creators are found, they will receive punishment. Disrupting the””

But if he said anything more, it was drowned out by a sudden loud burst of music. A recorded brass band blared out the opening fanfare of the Marseilles.

“What the….?!” Zabini murmured, fulfilling his surprise quota for the day.

Then, the trumpets were replaced by the soft strumming of a guitar and a high, clear voice from somewhere in the midst of the crowds in the Great Hall began to sing. “Love, love, love… love, love, love… love, love, love, love…”

“Whoever is singing, she””

And with that, Harriet-Lily Potter mounted the Gryffindor table and stood straight and the closest thing to ‘tall’ that she could manage, singing.

“There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done
Nothing you can sing that can’t be sung…”


“Miss Potter, get down from there at once!” spat Zabini, and looked around at the staff table for support. The other teachers seemed to be unusually unhelpful, sitting with folded hands and expressions of mild interest, even the typically strict Professor Granger-Weasley. “Miss Potter, stop at once!”

Haley simply flashed him a dazzling smile and waved cheerfully, continuing to sing:

“Nothing you can say but you can learn to play the game
It’s easy.
There’s nothing you can make that can’t be made
No one you can save that can’t be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time.
It’s easy…”


She glanced around at the gape-mouthed students staring up at her (Jordan was a deep shade of red previously only found on cooked lobsters, recognizing the guitar accompaniment) and said, “If you really believe in what I’m singing, come up here with me and join in.”

“All you need is love.
All you need is love.
All you need is love, love…
Love is all you need.”


Haley took a deep breath, realizing that as fantastic as her plan seemed in theory, how cool it would be to stand on the house table and sing her heart out while the veins in Zabini’s temples bulged increasingly more and more ominously, maybe Hogwarts wasn’t ready for this. Maybe she’d just look like a complete idiot. Maybe no one would join in.

But when she opened her mouth to sing the refrain again, a slightly off-key male voice joined hers:

“All you need is love
All you need is love
All you need is love, love…
Love is all you need.”


Anatoly Capshaw strode smartly up to the Gryffindor table and took Haley’s hand, an expression of great dignity on his pimply face as he sang. Haley squeezed his hand, relieved that things were going according to plan. Hopefully, the rest of the school would follow suit once they saw that a Slytherin was the first to join in. She made a mental note to give Anatoly the biggest hug ever once this was over.

She sang her solo verse with renewed confidence.

“There’s nothing you can know that isn’t known
Nothing you can see that isn’t shown
Nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be.
It’s easy.”


Just then, as she prepared to begin the next chorus, a small blur streaked forth from the Ravenclaw table. Tiny little Tabitha Thomas stepped up onto the Gryffindor table and grabbed onto Anatoly’s free hand, her soft voice blending with the sixth years’.

“All you need is love.
All you need is love…”

Tyrone let out a whoop and jumped up onto the table with such enthusiasm that it shook, joining his little sister adding his deep, warm, and unnecessarily loud voice to the mix.

“All you need is love, love…
Love is all you need.”


Haley beamed. It was like being in a musical, where people randomly burst into song simultaneously. The Thomases had opened the floodgates. Three Hufflepuff girls and a tall Ravenclaw Prefect marched proudly to the table.

“No one else is to join in!” Zabini shouted uselessly.

“All you need is love…”

Ivy and Ted joined the group, hands already clasped together, along with a Slytherin first year and Roran O’Reilly. A dark-haired Slytherin boy ran over to Hufflepuff table and, without a word, kissed a curly-haired girl and led her up to the growing group of singers.

“All you need is love…”

The Head Boy and Head Girl joined the party proudly, followed by a gaggle of second year Ravenclaws and some nervous-looking Slytherins.

“All you need is love, love…”

A low, resonant voice rose beautifully from the crowd as Jordan climbed up to the table with something very much like brotherly pride gleaming in his eyes. And behind him came nearly all of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, followed by the Hufflepuff team.

“Love is all you need.”

By now, the chain had spilled from Gryffindor table onto onto the Ravenclaw table and the space of the floor connecting them, and was still growing rapidly. Almost no one was still sitting at Gryffindor table. Emma was among the last few, focusing resolutely on her dinner and pretending to be totally blind and deaf. But as she looked around at the empty chairs on either side of her and her smiling friends singing and swaying, she felt like a slightly but distinctly horrible person.

She had no desire to do anything as sappy as holding hands and singing about love, and she certainly didn’t trust the Slytherins, but she hated feeling like there was a wall between her and her friends. She could see Jordan, his normally solemn face relaxed and smiling, and Ivy and Ted leaning sickeningly on one another. Tyrone was there, his smug face alight as he and his little sister swung their joined hands back and forth. And of course, Haley in the centre of it all, looking radiantly proud and surprisingly grown-up. They’d all supported her and cheered her on when she’d been in the Triwizard Tournament; they deserved the same from her.

Emma stood up, flicking her hair over her shoulders, and strode up to join the chain. She may not have believed that love was all the world needed, but she did believe in friendship.

“All you need is love,
All you need is love…”


The chain now formed a near circle, stretching across all four house tables and still growing. And just when it looked like everyone who was going to join already had, the crowds parted to reveal a tall, blond figure.

Technically speaking, it was Ophidias Malfoy. But it was not the Ophidias that Hogwarts knew. No longer the miserable, slouching ghost he’d been since his time in Azkaban, he looked almost like the old Ophidias”head held high, expression defiant, movements decisive and eyes daring anyone to stop him. But the old Ophidias would never have joined hands with a small Gryffindor first year and closed the circle of students, singing alongside the rest of the chain.

Ivy smiled over at him, and he smiled back, his own expression as disbelieving as those surrounding him.

“All you need is love, love
Love is all you need.”


* * * * * *


After the big musical number, the general atmosphere in the Great Hall was an awkwardly optimistic one. Having just sung about love and unity, students who had never spoken before had no choice but to converse uncomfortably with one another.

Haley sat down, all flushed and excited and generally giddy. Everything had gone far, far better than she had ever expected. So many students had joined in… even Ophidias Malfoy. Whether through genuine caring or peer pressure or the desire to do something against Zabini’s orders, most of Hogwarts had supported her. And what was even better was that there were too many participants for Zabini to give them all detention! Even if he tried, the other teachers would never let him get away with it.

Haley was swamped by people who wanted to tell her what nerve she had, what an original idea it was, and more than anything, how beautiful her voice was”and she loved every minute of it. She guessed this was what it might be like when she became a famous actress.

While she was busy, her friends were making their way out of the Great Hall, still talking about the stunt that Haley had staged.

“That was my guitar accompaniment!” Jordan was saying for the thousandth time. “She tricked me! I can’t believe she tricked me!”

“It was for a good cause,” Ivy told him sensibly. “You know you wouldn’t have played for her if she’d told you what she was up to.”

“I… don’t mind, actually,” he said slowly, looking amazed at what was coming from his mouth. “It was dishonest and conniving, and pulling a major trick like she did was horribly ill-conceived”she could have gotten us both in massive trouble”but I think it was the right thing to do.” He paused, letting his own statement sink in. It sometimes seemed to him that the Seer in him didn’t take care to run its opinions by his brain before expressing them.

He scratched the back of his neck. “What really is bothering me is the fact that she managed to fool me. I’ve known her my entire life, and I can usually tell if people are up to something… especially now… well, I can’t believe she managed to get something like that past me.”

Because there was a Quidditch game”the final match of the year”the next day, Jordan had been rather preoccupied lately, even for him. But that still didn’t explain how Haley had broken his shield of near-omniscience and gotten past him. He was so wrapped up in thought that he nearly tripped over a large lump on the ground. Ted actually did.

“Watch where you’re going!” shouted an oddly choked-up sounding voice from the ground. “Well, what are you staring at?” Charybdis Nott demanded, glaring up at the four Gryffindors with red-rimmed eyes. Her nose was just as red, and her cheeks were streaked with the stains of tears. “No, I didn’t help you out in your little love-fest. Just go away.”

“Not a bad idea,” muttered Emma, nudging Ivy uneasily in the ribs. Her uneasiness was clear, so clear that less brave friends would have made certain that she never came in contact with any Slytherins ever again, just to keep her from wearing That Look.

But none of them could help but stare. Charybdis was actually crying. The thought had never crossed their minds that she was capable of it, or that she was indeed a human being.

Only Ted did not look particularly surprised. His hearing, always sharper than average, was especially acute this close to full moons, and as he’d left the Great Hall earlier, he’d heard Charybdis’s mosquito-like little whine of a voice.

“Ophidias,” she’d said, “get back here! Don’t just walk away like that! What’s up with you lately? Why were you up there singing with all the Mudbloods and blood traitors and--”

“SHUT UP!” Ophidias had shouted. “How many times do I have to tell you to stop following me around? I can’t stand you!”

Charybdis had gasped and made a strange little strangled stuttering noise in the back of her throat. And that, Ted presumed, was when they had walked by.

He paused, looking over at her, and after a moment, extended his hand and said, “Need help?”

Charybdis stared at him as though he’d offered her a kitten sandwich. “You want me to touch that?” she snapped, leaning away from Ted’s hand as though it carried a deadly disease. “Go back to the woods where you belong.”

There was a collective gasp at this, especially considering Ted’s ‘mood swings’ lately. Charybdis was quite stupid to tempt him to attack her yet again. But Ted just gave Charybdis a calm, friendly smile and said, “I don’t think I would belong in the woods. I mean, I’m toilet trained, I eat cooked food, I even walk around dressed like a normal guy… I’d be the laughingstock of the wolf pack. Or, you know, howlingstock.” He placed Charybdis’s spilled books back in her cauldron and smiled blandly once more at her.

Charybdis snatched her cauldron back, glaring at him. “I don’t know what you’re trying to do here, but just go away. No one wants you here with all the regular people.”

“Luckily, that’s not true,” he replied, keeping his tone light, but he did follow her advice and go away, following his friends back to the Common Room.

Emma shook her head once they were safely out of earshot. “You’re bonkers for Bertie Botts,” she said. “I don’t believe you, Ted. You actually talked to Charybdis Nott? I thought she was going to kill you!”

Ted shrugged. “I’m just trying for a little Inter-House Unity. I mean, I don’t sing for just anything…”

“Good,” Emma interjected, and even Jordan snorted.

“And besides, I felt bad for her,” continued Ted, not bothering to acknowledge Emma’s comment with more than an embarrassed smile. “I heard Ophidias telling her that he couldn’t stand her. I’d be crying, too, if I was her… he said to stop following him around.”

“Hmm,” said a deep voice, and suddenly, Tyrone was standing there, his eyebrows raised and his arms folded. “Really. Wonder what that’s got to be like, being told something like that.”

And before anything else could be said, he stalked off into the boys’ dorm, shutting the door firmly behind him.

* * * * * *


Jordan was rather ashamed to admit it, but he just hadn’t been focusing as much on Quidditch lately as he had the previous year. He loved the game, and flying was one of his favourite things in the world, but he’d been so focused on his new talents”and, of course, his Inter-House Unity project”that he hadn’t been quite as… involved as before. Or maybe a better word was ‘obsessed.’

Still, he knew that he was the captain of a good team, and he was confident that they had what it took to beat Hufflepuff in the final match. They practiced constantly, they had great teamwork and a thorough knowledge of plays, and they were committed.

And best of all, he no longer had to worry about the welfare of two of his star players. Emma and Tyrone hadn’t entered the Forbidden Forest since before the Valentine’s Day ball. In fact, they’d barely spoken since then. But that didn’t matter, because they played two entirely different positions, and besides, Jordan had never liked Tyrone much. He’d always found him annoyingly loud, and his every move seemed to scream ‘look at me!’ It was rather relieving to not have to put up with Tyrone hanging around his friends anymore.

Speaking of Tyrone, he paced back and forth in the dressing room as the team prepared for their championship match. Everyone was silent from nerves, pulling on uniforms and stretching without a word.

Jordan, too, was nervous, and it coiled and pinched uncomfortably around the pit of his stomach as he sat there. He half-wished for a vision telling him whether they’d win, but he was terrified that he would discover they would lose. And besides, he reminded himself, the future can always be changed. Nothing is set in stone. It wouldn’t be any good in any case.

He checked his watch. The game was set to begin in three minutes… it was time to get ready. He cleared his throat and turned to the team to deliver his pep talk. “Well,” he said, “This is it. As almost all of you were on this team last year”except for you, Trajan”you can testify to how truly incredibly this team can be. I can’t promise another ten-second match”that was a fluke”but I am fairly certain that you will make me proud.”

He paused. “I suppose it’s best if I quit while I’m ahead. This is, after all, a Quidditch team, not Parliament. Just get ready to play Quidditch.” The team cheered, probably with relief that his speech hadn’t been as long-winded as they’d feared.

And just then, Haley’s magically amplified voice shouted from the stadium, “GOOD MORNING, HOGWARTS! We are Quidditching today! I’m Haley Potter, everyone’s favourite commentator and tabletop chanteuse”means ‘singer’ according to my friend Lee, who knows these things”and although I totally think Inter-House Unity is great, it’s always nice to have a little friendly competition, and, uh, brain-bashing with a giant club. But enough of that! Let’s hear it for Hufflepuff and Gryffindor!”

At that, Jordan hopped on his broom and flew out of the changing room and onto the pitch, leading the other six members of the team into the bright sunshine. The Hufflepuff team zoomed out of their changing room simultaneously, and the two teams met in the middle.

Jordan shook hands with the Hufflepuff captain (a huge seventh year Beater in whose massive hand Jordan’s looked like a doll’s) and turned to face the stands, his heart thumping.

“And… let the match begin!”

The game started well. Just two minutes in, Emma knocked the Quaffle out a Hufflepuff Chaser’s hands with the end of her broom, then grabbed it out of the air and punted it straight through the hoop, scoring the first goal of the game. In the stands, Haley’s amplified ‘squee’s ricocheted from every wall.

The action moved so quickly that even Haley’s motor-mouth could barely keep up. Hufflepuff was good, but even so, Gryffindor was in the lead by a few points.

Half an hour into the game, Haley was still going strong. “Dickinson passes to Mullroy, back to Dickinson, she’s headed for the hoop, ohhh, intercepted by Ophelia Wood of Gryffindor! She dodges a Bludger”nice one, great reflexes”and passes to Walters”Trajan Walters, second year and already a great Chaser, he’s the Gryffindor Rookie of the year, kind of like Hufflepuff’s new Beater, Amir! And… wow, Walters puts it through the hoop! Ten points for Gryffindor… but the Hufflepuffs have the ball, and they’ve got their game faces on…”

Jordan made his way around the pitch in smooth, easy circles, scanning the air for the Snitch. This was always nerve-wracking, knowing that the Snitch could be right behind him at any minute. So much of the game depended on the Seeker”Gryffindor may have been beating Hufflepuff by three goals, but if Hufflepuff caught the Snitch, they would still win.

Jordan glanced over at the Hufflepuff Seeker, a third year girl named Papadakis who looked more like a first year but flew like a seventh year. Like Haley, she may have looked small and cute, but that was part of what made her so dangerous.

“Hufflepuff Beaters are fantastic, they just keep parrying those Bludgers away,” announced Haley forty-five minutes into the game. “In fact, I don’t think anyone on the Hufflepuff team’s gotten hit since these guys joined the team. Oh… and wow, speaking of Hufflpeuff, Mullroy’s just distracted Gryffindor’s Keeper”keep your eye on the Quaffle, Featherstone”and…Dickinson’s made a goal! Watch out, Gryffs, the ‘Puffs are gaining on you, just two goals behind!”

Jordan smacked himself in the forehead. Just like Featherstone to be so easily distracted. He filed away a mental note to work with him on developing better focus when Quidditch season rolled around the next year. Now Gryffindor was only ahead by two goals, and he’d been flying for suspiciously long without seeing so much as a glimpse of the Snitch. He hoped Papadakis hadn’t seen it, either.

Find the Snitch… it was as though he’d keyed in a password in his brain and doors had swung open. A string of images flashed rapidly through his mind”himself on his broom, plummeting within an inch of the ground; a Bludger tearing the wing off of the Snitch; the damaged Snitch falling neatly into his hand; himself hoisting the Quidditch Cup into the air…

Jordan did not think. His brain was on autopilot, blocking out any thoughts or doubts or reservations. A switch in his mind had flipped, and in an instant, he had spurred on his broom and was rocketing at a frightening speed toward the ground.

The crowd gasped as he dove, and Haley announced, “And Potter”that’s my baby brother”is making a, er, really, really big dive that’s kind of, um, freaking me out a lot. Is he after the Snitch, or is it a Wronski Feint, or is his broom busted or what? Papadakis is staying in the air, looking confused… and Potter’s still in the dive… this is scary.”

Her twin didn’t hear her. He’d blocked out everything but the smooth feel of his broom, the wind whistling around him and ruffling his hair and clothes, the stunning green of the pitch as it rose closer and closer toward him…

“And it looks like Papadakis sees the Snitch!” shouted Haley. “She’s going for it, she’s… awww, did you see that? Amir hit his Bludger the wrong way, and it knocked the wing off the Snitch! Papadakis reaches, but it’s falling fast…”

And as suddenly as he’d gone into the dive, Jordan stopped his broom with a jerk, floating centimeters above the ground. He had no idea how his father had managed to fly with glasses on”his stop had practically caused his own organs to jettison themselves, and glasses would never have stood a chance.

But such things weren’t bothering him at the moment. He stretched out his hand and concentrated only on the twinkling gold ball tumbling down from the sky… closer now… closer now…

His fingers closed tightly around the ball, feeling its one good wing flutter uselessly against his fingers. Gracefully, he stepped down from his nearly grounded broomstick and onto the soft grass of the pitch, his fist held aloft.

Up in the stadium, a whistle sounded, wild cheers erupted, and Haley shrieked, “And… in a really weird kind of way, Potter catches the Snitch! Gryffindor wins the Quidditch cup for the second year in a row! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to scream like a loony. WOOOOHOOOOO!”

And before he knew what was happening, Jordan was buried in a mob of excitable well-wishers and buoyed up on the shoulders of the crowd. The shiny gold Quidditch Cup, remarkably similar in colour to the Snitch, was thrust into his hands, and some girl he’d never seen ran up to him and planted a kiss on his cheek. It wasn’t until the floods of people began to subside that reality began to sink in.

Jordan had not won the game.

Oh, according to all of the rules and records, he had. His team had been awarded the Quidditch Cup and the chance for a wild and Professor-terrifying afterparty. By all accounts, he had led his team to triumph.

But he knew better. He hadn’t won the game, his vision had.

He didn’t follow the rest of the Gryffindors up to the party in the Common Room. Instead, he took his time in the locker room, moving at a speed not dissimilar to that of a slow-motion snail.

There was only one other person in the locker room by now, and she glanced over at him with an expression somewhere between bemusement and suspicion. “What, no gloating?” said Emma.

She kept a safe distance away”ever since he’d announced he was a Seer, she’d steered clear of him, and whenever he was near her, her aura spun wildly and the rosy pink around the edges all but disappeared. It was doing this now, like a crazy sort of Ferris Wheel, and it was difficult for Jordan to keep his eyes downcast as intended.

“Excuse me?” he said stiffly.

Emma gave a sharp little laugh. “You’ve just won the Quidditch Cup. It’s almost as good as that ten-second game last year. Why aren’t you back in the castle showing off like Tyrone Thomas?”

“Because I didn’t win,” Jordan shot back, each syllable as hard and fast as a machine gun firing. His own tone surprised even him. He was fourteen years old again, for Godric’s sake.

“Er, yeah. That makes no sense,” Emma pointed out helpfully. “Even from you.”

Jordan sighed and let his locker door slam shut. “It was lucky how I managed to catch that Snitch when I did, wasn’t it?” he said sharply. “What do you think the odds were of such good luck?” He grimaced. “Surely you can’t be stupid enough to think that really was all luck.”

“Still not following you,” Emma told him frankly.

“That’s because you’re interrupting me and not letting me finish.” He paused and listened to the dutiful silence like a grammar-school teacher. “Better. In any case, I had a vision”that’s how I knew the Bludger would rip the wing off the Snitch. There’s nothing at all in Quidditch Through the Ages or any Quidditch rulebook about Seers on the field, but even if it’s not in any official materials, I can tell that winning with a vision is cheating.”

Emma jumped slightly at the ‘v’ word. “Yeah, well, whatever, as long as we won,” she shrugged. “There’s no way they’ll disqualify us.”

“It’s not about disqualification,” Jordan snapped, and suddenly, the taught, rigid anger that he’d been full of in his fourth year returned, like a bottle of soda fizzing menacingly beneath a tightly closed cap. His green-black eyes seemed darker and more intimidating than ever. “Frankly, I care about more than just a shiny fake-gold cup, Emma. Don’t you see what this is all about?”

“Erm… nooo…” Emma stuffed her things in her bag and began to edge out of the changing room, not eager to be caught in the midst of a rant.

Too late. The gales had already begun. “Can’t you see?” he demanded in a scary, booming voice. It was easy to forget that Jordan’s usual indifferent speaking voice, all low and flat and precise, could rise to such a fierce crescendo. “I can never play Quidditch again!”

“That’s a little overdramatic, I think,” Emma said carelessly. She studied her fingernails. “Might not be too challenging anymore, but then, everything’s bloody easy for you, isn’t it?” It was an interesting contrast to usual, a disinterested and cool Emma and an explosive Jordan. For the last two years, Emma had been the one to rant and rave while Jordan stared patronizingly and muttered unhelpfully.

Jordan seethed. “It’s a question of fairness. Don’t you remember how you couldn’t stand to let Skitesby and Schiffington rig the third Triwizard Task in your favour last year?” He sighed. “Try to understand this. Would you want to play Quidditch against someone who can see what’s meant to occur later in the game?”

Emma blinked. “No,” she admitted. “I can see where you’re going…”

“Exactly. I don’t forget anymore, Emma. I know it disturbs you, but I remember nearly everything, sometimes even things that didn’t happen to me and things that haven’t happened yet. Even you think I’m a freak, and you’re allegedly my friend. It would be illogical for someone like me to be part of a team.”

His voice had returned to its cool and calculated monotone, but it was perhaps a bit too brisk. He was attempting logic again, and it wasn’t working. Logically, he couldn’t play Quidditch. Emotionally, Quidditch was what was keeping him from losing it altogether. Sometimes, emotions tried to merit logic, and that was a fact to which he still hadn’t adjusted.

Jordan stared at his Quidditch robes for a moment, then his face contorted and he balled them up and tossed them brutally into a trash can. He stepped closer to Emma, who did not seem too happy with this arrangement. “Next year,” he said matter-of-factly, “you will be captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Practice.”

“But”” Emma stammered, but Jordan did not grace her with a response. He squared his shoulders, lifted his head, strode forth from the changing room with hard, empty eyes… and tripped over a dustbin, really spoiling the dramatic effect of it all.

How much of his life would being a Seer take away from him? It had already cost him his grades, his reputation, and his relationships. But at least he’d still had the pleasure of resting his mind and simply working as a living extension of his broomstick. Flying was the last thing he’d had left that made him feel in any way normal and sane, especially rush of being the captain of his team, respected and depended upon and listened to. Now that was gone, thanks to his ‘gift,’ if you could call it that.

He sat down just outside the locker room, and leaned wearily against the wall. His mind felt stretched and flooded and too full of thoughts all screaming at once, and he wished he had a Pensieve to place them all in.

But that wouldn’t work, he remembered”Merlin had said so himself. Pensieves were only good for a person’s own personal memories, not the memories of ages past preserved in a Seer’s brain. And Pensieves could do nothing for thoughts and emotions. The only way to free himself of those was with some sort of… well, his parents would say a ‘healthy outlet’ for his pent-up emotions.

He’d had one of those. It was called ‘Quidditch.’

Just a few months before, Jordan would have given anything to know nearly everything. He’d always been highly intelligent and had always known more than almost anyone else about almost anything, but he’d always been thirsty for more knowledge. Knowing everything had been his greatest aspiration.

And suddenly, he knew so much, and he would give anything to go back to before, when he’d known shockingly little but thought he knew it all.
End Notes:


My Potter's Pentagon OTP = Carlos and Heather.
Chapter 18: In Which Jordan Sits and Sulks... So What Else Is New? by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
I don't own Harry Potter! Anyway, the next several chapters will be short. Sorry, but that's just how they're written.

Azkaban?” bellowed Ron, his ears as red as traffic flares. “What do you mean, you want to send me to Azk--”

“Do control yourself, Mr. Weasley,” Uther Smith-Smythe, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, said evenly, folding his hands.

Hadrian Bellowes gave him a smile that was not at all encouraging, nor was it trying to be. “Yes, Weasley, do control yourself,” he added in his horrible nasal voice, looking for all the world like a hungry crocodile.

Control myself?” shouted Ron. “You want to lock me up in a bleeding prison, and you’re telling me to--”

“Language!” his wife hissed into his ear, grabbing his arm as she had done in vain so many times before to her husband and daughter.

“We assure you that your stay in prison will be short,” Mr. Smith-Smythe told him. And besides, this is merely hypothetical. It’s simply a precaution. If the diaries aren’t returned in one week…”

“I told you, the diaries were stolen!”

“”then you will have to serve a sentence in Azkaban.”

Ron’s eyes were desperate as he searched the faces in the room for one who could help him. They lit on his brother’s face… and not just his brother, but also the most powerful man in the wizarding world. “Percy,” he said, “you’re the Minister of Magic. Come on, tell him he can’t put me in jail!”

Percy looked extremely uncomfortable, and perspiration gleamed across his pale forehead. “I… I’m sorry, Ron,” he said, “but court orders are court orders, and if the diaries were stolen, you would need to have a piece of paper proving it. You never reported them missing until it was too late.” He shook his head sadly. “It’s the law, Ron. I can’t bend the law for you, even if I know you didn’t mean to do anything wrong.”

“This is mad!” exclaimed Ron, slamming his fist against the table. He looked mad as well. “My job is to throw people in Azkaban, not get penned myself! I mean… I work for the Ministry; I’m not about to try and defy them. I’m an Auror!”

“So was Sirius Black,” pointed out Bellowes.

“And he was innocent!” Ron yelled.

Hermione sighed. “It does seem drastic to me,” she said. “This case is over twenty years old, and Snape is dead. The Ministry only took interest because of Mr. Bellowes’s article.”

“I’m sorry, ma’am, but there’s nothing we can do,” Smith-Smythe told her gravely. “Unless, of course, you can find the diaries in the next week.”

“We’re terribly sorry,” added Bellowes, not looking it at all.

Ron stood up. Being quite a tall man, this action came with considerable dramatic effect. “Right, then,” he said in a tight, strangled-sounding voice.

“Thank you. It’s very reassuring to know who’s running this country.” He gave the Ministry officials an extremely curt nod and placed his hand on Hermione’s shoulder.

Hermione turned to look at the men as she and Ron left the room. “It’s odd,” she said. “What say does Mr. Bellowes have in what happens to my husband?” Her voice was like an icicle, brittle and shaking slightly, but sufficiently cold and sharp to make a point. “I was under the impression that he’s under Ron’s employ? Why is he present at this meeting at all?”

Bellowes smiled. “Ah. Well, if it, er, occurs that Mr. Weasley is still unwilling--” Ron opened his mouth in protest and Bellowes gave him a condescending nod, “Yes, or unable to locate the diaries in one week, I will, of course, replace him as Deputy Head auror. And as the most experienced auror in the department, I can easily give, shall we say, guidance to Mr. Smith-Smythe about Mr. Weasley’s behaviour as well.”

“Amazing,” replied Hermione stiffly, her voice making it clear that this was not intended as a compliment. “Well, we won’t keep you. Goodbye.” And with that, she swept out of the office, clutching Ron’s arm as he marched out beside her.

As soon as the door had closed, Ron exploded, “The idiots!” He was very white, but his eyes were fierce, and his resemblance to his daughter was suddenly striking.

“I just don’t understand!” Hermione exclaimed. “How can they want to put you in prison? It’s absolutely insane. What are we going to do?”

Ron’s face was serious. “Well, maybe the diaries will turn up after all,” he said. His wife was not the only one he was trying to convince. “And if I do get put in prison for withholding information from the Ministry or whatever, well, it’ll only be a short sentence. And I’ll get my own cell… I won’t have to share the soap with a bunch of thugs that Harry and I chucked in there in the first place. Plus, now that they’ve ditched the Dementors… I’ll be fine.”

Hermione looked up at him. “Yes, I know,” she replied, instinctively rubbing a smudge off her husband’s nose with her thumb. “But what about me?”

“Come on, Hermione,” Ron sighed, after a long pause, “this is completely mad. The kids are coming home for Easter holiday tomorrow and everything, and if we don’t know for sure that I’m going to jail, we shouldn’t upset them.”

She looked doubtful. “They’re hardly ‘kids’ anymore,” she pointed out. “And it’s very unlikely that we’ll be able to keep it from them. Emma and Haley get into everything, and Ivy will read anything she can reach, and Ted notices things, and Jordan… well, Jordan knows nearly everything. I think we’d do well to tell them, just in case.”

And as was nearly always the case, Hermione was right. The second her foot touched the carpet of the Potter house on the first day of Easter break, the first words out of Emma’s mouth were, “Dad, are you really going to jail?”

Ron blinked. “Where did you hear something like that?” he asked, looking carefully at his daughter.

“Charybdis Nott told us,” said Haley, supervising her twin as he disgruntledly set down her three suitcases. “Actually, she kind of more like laughed it in our faces.”

“Yeah, well, Charybdis Nott is a little berk,” muttered Ron, eager to change the subject.

“Ron!” his wife exclaimed, scandalized.

Harry smiled at her. “Look Hermione, we’ve both taught her. You have to admit that Charybdis is not a nice girl.” He paused thoughtfully. “Which is too bad, because I liked her parents a lot.”

This was a new one. Ivy blinked. “Isn’t she from one of the old pureblood Slytherin families? I thought I remembered someone named Nott who was a Death Eater.”

“You’re partly right,” her father said. “Her dad was a pureblooded Slytherin. His father was a Death Eater, and I guess he was supposed to be one, too, but he was never into that kind of thing. A bit like you, actually.”

“Oh yeah, he went to school with us,” supplied Ron. “We never talked to him, of course. He was kind of a loner, one of those kids who sits there glaring at people. And, I mean, he was in Slytherin, so making friends was out of the question.”

“And then he and his wife November”she was Muggle-born, I think”ended up joining the Order of the Phoenix,” Harry finished up. “They were actually pretty cool. Had kind of a strange sense of humour, but they were nice enough.”

“Were?” said Ted, ever-observant.

Hermione nodded gravely. “Yes, the Notts died when Draco Malfoy attacked St. Mungo’s. Mrs. Nott was going to have a baby delivered, but instead, she and her husband and their baby all died.” She sighed. “I sometimes feel sorry for Charybdis. I think she and her older sister were adopted by Muggles after that.”

“She doesn’t have a sister,” said Haley.

“Yes, she does,” said Hermione. “She’s a Squib. I think her name is Scylla.”

There was a silence. All that they had known about Charybdis before was that she was a nasty Slytherin Prefect who hated Muggles and part-humans and loved Ophidias Malfoy. They’d never dreamed that she, like Mr. Potter himself, was a half-blood orphan who had been raised by Muggles. And she had a sister who couldn’t do magic. It was a strange thing to think about.

It just didn’t match up. Why would she hate the people who had been kind enough to take her in, completely go against her parents’ memory, and weirdest of all, why would she constantly stalk the son of the man who had killed her parents? But then, Charybdis Nott was a strange, strange girl. That much, they already knew.

Besides, there were much more pressing matters on hand than Charybdis’s history, Emma realized. Her father had completely evaded her question about Azkaban, and had changed the subject to mean teenage girls. “But Dad, seriously, are you going to jail?”

Ron sighed, and he looked old and crumpled for a moment as he sat down. “If I don’t find the diaries in a week, I’m going to Azkaban,” he said in a voice flat enough to envy Jordan’s. “Not for too long, and I won’t have to share with anyone… my reputation’s pretty much sunk, though.”

It was unbelievable. It was one thing to imagine some rogue Auror arrested and thrown in prison, but to imagine Ron, who was so staunchly loyal and determined, who made wisecracks and innocently overprotected his daughter, who was addicted to caffeine and perplexed by Magic Eye puzzles… he would not do well in captivity.

As his words sunk in, everyone clustered around Ron, looking stunned and horrified and protesting the unfairness of it all.

Except for Jordan. He was sitting apart from the group in a chair on the other side of the room and staring off into space in a detached, distant sort of way. One of the more disconcerting things about him now that he was a Seer was his tendency to do this.

“Jordan, didn’t you hear about Uncle Ron?” Ivy asked her brother, white-faced.

He shrugged absently. “Not exactly, no,” he replied in his serious, precise voice. “But I already knew about it.”

Ivy blinked. She was still getting used to her brother’s gifts, and she was sure that the same was true for him as well, probably even more so. She didn’t want to think about how it must feel to know about horrible things before they happened, so rationally, she didn’t. She kept her mind focused on her uncle.

“That’s not fair at all,” she said, not quite able to find the right words.

“Tell me about it,” replied Ron, sagging. “Better yet, tell Uther Smith-Smythe about it.” He sighed again. “I just never thought Charybdis Nott would be the one to tell you. That’s the thing about Slytherins, they just love to go out of their way to make people miserable. They’re so busy hating everyone else that you just have to hate them back.”

A sharp intake of breath came from the other side of the table, and all eyes swiveled toward Haley. “That’s a really horrible thing to say, though, don’t you think?” she said.

Eight pairs of bewildered eyes stared back at her.

“I mean, come on, if you hate Slytherins because you think they’re all prejudiced, doesn’t that make you the prejudiced one?” She let out an impatient sort of giggle. “If you expect them to be jerks, that’s what they’re going to be. All you need is love, you know?”

Her uncle shook his head in amazement. “Haley, is that really you in there?”

Haley rolled her eyes. Really, you’d think people would get used to the fact that she wasn’t a total idiot, wouldn’t you? Jordan may have gotten the lions’ share of brains in the family, but that didn’t mean he hadn’t left any for her. She was allowed to talk about things besides shoes and boys when she wanted to, wasn’t she?

“I mean,” she continued, “when people think about Gryffindors, they think about people like you, charging after the bad guys and kicking dark side backside. But most Gryffindors aren’t like that… everyone just thinks of them like that ‘cause you people are the most famous. So Voldemort and Grindelwald and Malfoy and stuff were the most famous Slytherins, but that’s just, like, a tiny bit out of the whole house.” She shrugged. “The kids who show off the most get noticed the most. You know, like me. No one notices the quiet kids in the back. Like what you said about Theo Nott.”

There was a silence as what she’d just said settled in.

“That was… really profound,” said Hermione at last, looking impressed.

“Really? Cool!” exclaimed Haley. “Awesome, I’m profound! Whatever that means!” She bounced up and down on her seat happily, but her smile slid off her face a moment later as she rememebered the issue at hand. “Uncle Ron, it’s like I just said, people like you and Uncle Harry are everyone’s idea of the ultimate good guy. You can’t go to jail.”

Ted nodded. “Yeah,” he said staunchly. “You’re like a living legend. They can’t put you in Azkaban.”

Ron smiled grimly. “I guess we’ll have to see in a week,” he said, “won’t we?” And with that, he got to his feet and wandered off to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. No one said anything about his addiction, or suggested that he drink pumpkin juice instead. They all knew he needed it.

Emma stayed at the table, pale and shaking, her arms wrapped tightly around her knees. “It’s all my fault,” she whimpered softly, her pretty face twisted with self-disgust.

“What do you mean?” Ted asked gently, sitting down next to her and gently giving her a hug. “I bet your dad’s going to be okay. He’s a tough guy. And even if he does have to go to jail, that doesn’t have anything to do with you.”

Emma snorted. “Shows how much you know.”

* * * * * *


The words ‘tidy’ and ‘orderly’ did not do Jordan Potter’s bedroom justice. ‘Sterile’ would perhaps be a better word. Every surface was free of clutter, his clothes neatly folded and sorted according to type and colour (although nearly every garment was black, navy blue, or dark green), and the multitudinous books on the bookshelf lined up in much the same way. The bed was made, the desk was Spartan, and the windows were clean. A Beatles poster and a bulletin board full of awards and test scores were the only clues as to the person to whom this space belonged.

Jordan had always thought of his room as his sanctuary where he could be free from the mess and chaos outside of it and simply focus. But now, it felt stifling to him, almost a cell. The mess and the chaos weren’t just outside anymore. They were inside his mind as well, making him care too much about things that had never bothered him before. Why couldn’t he stop worrying about people he’d never know, places he’d never see, times that had no relevance to him? And why couldn’t there just be one thing in his room that could distract him from everything that was going on in his brain?

He hadn’t been to his room since winter holiday, only four months back in terms of time, but seemingly an eternity ago. At that point, he’d known he was a Seer, but hadn’t yet fully become one. He hadn’t had to “experience the past, predict the present, and remember the future.” He hadn’t had the burning urge to discover Telemency, hadn’t seen auras around everyone, hadn’t had to give up Quidditch. It was astonishing how quickly things changed.

There was a knock at the door, and Jordan let out a grudging, “Come in.” The door creaked open, and his father stepped into the room, taking a seat on the bed.

“Hey,” he said quietly.

“Hello,” Jordan replied, his voice tight. He hadn’t done anything wrong, so what could his father want?

Harry glanced around the dull bedroom. As it had nothing to spark interest in the way of interior decorating, the reason for these glances was probably just to avoid looking into his son’s eyes. They were such a dark, opaque green, and there was something unsettling about them, like bottomless pits.

“I just wanted to talk,” he said. “You wrote me letters about, er, being Merlin’s heir, and I haven’t seen you since before you turned seventeen. You can’t blame a dad for being curious about what you’re up to.” The person sitting next to him on the bed was his son. But lately, he was also a stranger, and that was an uncomfortable truth. Jordan and his father had never exactly been close, but things had been improving ever since Malfoy’s defeat… until now.

“I’ve gotten so weird, haven’t I?” Jordan said at last, turning to look at his father. “I know I have, because I can’t even tell the difference between what’s weird and what’s normal anymore.” He laughed humourlessly. “Ironic, isn’t it? I can remember places I’ve never been, people I’ve never met, but the one thing I can’t remember is how normal people think.”

Harry had to smile at this. “Jordan, you were never exactly normal before,” he said. “Or anything close to it.” If his son thought being normal meant having a pathologically clean bedroom, next to no imagination, and a total lack of interest in anyone but himself, then he must have had a seriously skewed perception of the world. But since when had anyone in the family been normal? They were wizards, for crying out loud.

“What is it like, being a Seer?” he asked. “I mean, no offense, but I never believed any of that stuff before, so I never paid any attention to it.”

“Neither did I,” Jordan said dryly. “It seems so...”

“Haley-ish?” supplied Harry with a smile.

“Yes! But… when it’s me, and I can feel all the pieces falling into place in my mind, it feels so perfect and everything makes so much sense. Visions… they’re not like normal thoughts. You can feel them, and...” He paused. How could he describe what it was like to be a Seer? It was confusing to grasp even for him, and he was one.

“It’s like my brain is full of files on everything. It’s a library card catalog. I don’t automatically know everything in those files, but if the time is right, it’s like I’m opening the file and reading it. If I didn’t know how to row a canoe and I was about to go over a waterfall, all of a sudden if I was lucky, I’d suddenly know things about canoeing that I’d never learned and remember canoeing trips that happened to other people as if I was here. And then sometimes I have visions, which are like having a dream, but it’s real and I’m there and… I can’t describe this at all.”

Jordan was not one to carry on lengthy conversations, but even if he didn’t want to admit it, he’d hoped to explain how it felt to be him to someone else. Words didn’t come close. He was so used to keeping everything inside him, convinced that emotions got in the way of rational thought, but since he’d turned seventeen, rational thinking might as well have gone out the window.

“It must be terrific, being a Seer,” stated Harry, looking somewhat out of his depth. “Half the time, I feel like I barely know anything. You’re lucky.”

“Oh, yes, it’s fantastic,” snapped Jordan, his voice cold and emotionless. His fingernails dug into his palms. “Ted talks about Superman sometimes… being a Seer is the opposite.” His young face contorted into a hardened, bitter mask, and he stared off into the air at nothing. “I can see so much, but I can’t do anything about it.”

If possible, his voice went even flatter and more expressionless, although if Harry didn’t know better, he would have sworn that Jordan sounded like he was dangerously close to tears. “Just today, a man in Bangladesh was eaten by a tiger. A woman from Hungary accidentally drove her car over the edge of a bridge. People in Darfur are being slaughtered everyday. A little three-year-old boy in Iowa was bludgeoned to death by his mentally disturbed mother. And I couldn’t do anything but watch.”

His eyes bored into Harry’s with almost painful intensity. Harry almost though he could see flames behind those eyes, that his son was burning from within. But the ageless knowledge in those eyes contrasted sharply with the rest of his expression. Frightened and helpless, he looked like a confused little boy.

“I see horrible things every day,” he whispered, looking away from his father at last and staring down at his knees. “It’s wonderful being a Seer, isn’t it, hearing people scream for help until they die while I can’t do anything about it at all. Just lovely.” He sighed. “And I thought the Pensieve was bad.”

Harry was truly, absolutely shocked. Being a father meant protecting his children from the terrifying, gruesome parts of life, shielding them from harm. The thought had never even crossed his mind that being a Seer meant that his already dark-minded and pessimistic son saw violence and atrocities everyday. He’d been through enough unpleasant experiences to know that they never left you, not really.

His first instinct was to hug his son and tell him that it was all right, just as he had done when Jordan was small and stubbed his toe or dropped his ice cream cone or had a bad dream, but he knew that it wouldn’t help. Jordan hated being touched; if anything, it would make him feel even more ill at ease. And it would be ridiculous to tell him that everything would be all right. Jordan was older and wiser now”wiser, as a matter of fact, than Harry in many ways”and he’d seen enough of the world to know that it was not an ‘all right’ place.

One of the boy’s sentences had stuck with him, though, and he turned to him and asked, “What do you mean, you thought the Pensieve was bad?”

Jordan was silent for a moment, lost in thought. Then at last, he said quietly, “You might as well know. You always told me never to go near the Pensieve you keep on your desk, but I was ten and hideously stupid, and I saw the final battle against Voldemort. Well, most of it, at least, right up until just after you defeated Voldemort.”

Harry gaped at his son. “You did this when you were ten?” he exclaimed, his voice breaking. “Of all the memories in there, you saw the Final Battle? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was the good one,” Jordan replied stiffly. “I didn’t break rules. If you found out I’d touched your Pensieve, you wouldn’t trust me anyore.”

“I told you not to go near the Pensieve because I didn’t want you to see anything that might disturb you. I… I can’t even talk about the Final Battle now, and it’s been over twenty years, not to mention I was already a fully grown wizard who had faced all kinds of awful situations by the time of the battle.” He shook his head in horrified awe. “You were just an innocent ten-year-old… I don’t even want to think about what something like that would do to you.”

He vaguely recollected the sudden change in his son in the year or so before he’d started at Hogwarts. One day, he was a bright and friendly, if rather socially inept, child, and the next, he was lashing out at everyone and hiding away in his room, talking in that flat monotone voice. At the time, he’d thought that his boy was suffering an early onset of adolescence, but now he knew better.

“Until then, I never actually realized what it meant when people called you a hero. I read to much for my own good, and I always imaged some kind of dramatic, strategic battle, not a… mad free-for-all.” He looked Harry in the eye again with that new intensity of his. “That was when I realized that I am never going to be like you. You’re the bravest person alive. I barely even made it into Gryffindor.”

Harry blinked. “There’s nothing wrong with that. I can see the Slytherin in you, too. You’re ambitious, and you do best alone. It’s not a crime.”

“How did you know I was almost put in Slytherin?” Jordan exclaimed, looking astonished and flustered. “I never said that!”

Harry laughed. There was something satisfying in catching Jordan off guard. “You might be the only Seer here, but I’m not completely dense. I’m your dad. I know you well enough to know that you’d do well in Slytherin.” He paused and added, “Of course, the hat wanted to put me there, too, you know.”

Jordan almost fell off of the bed, and it was a nice change to see the boy with all the answers so unnerved. “You? Slytherin?” he spluttered. “But you… how can… what?”

“The Sorting Hat saw that I had part of Voldemort in me,” he answered incredibly nonchalantly. Jordan felt quite certain that the name ‘Voldemort’ was never intended to be spoken so offhandedly. “But that wasn’t it. I do have Slytherin traits”let’s just say I’ve been called crafty before, and Snape was right about me…I’ve always seen rules as something for other people to worry about, I’m sorry to say. You should have seen me in school, I don’t think anyone’s ever managed to wriggle out of deserved punishment as much as I did… but I think both of us do better as Gryffindors, though.”

His voice became layered with significance. “That does mean you, too. You don’t need to have a half-suicidal saving people complex like I do”or like Ted does”to be brave.”

Jordan raised an eyebrow, ducking by habit just in case Haley was lurking behind him. “Dad, I don’t even know what I wanted when I was younger. Now that I think back, it seems… paradoxical. I wanted to be like you, to be brave and famous and successful, and I wanted to be as unlike you as possible and forge all of my own trails. I was just confused.” He paused. “I’m not like that anymore. Now all I want is to be normal.”

He seemed to have a knack for knowing all about everything except for himself. It always amazed Harry to hear how Jordan thought of himself. “You want to be normal? You don’t want to be Quidditch captain and have perfect pitch and a flawless memory and be on top of every class?” Harry asked gently.

“Those things are normal,” Jordan replied stiffly.

“Normal is what you make it,” said his dad, standing up. “I used to think it was normal to live in a cupboard and get beaten up everyday. Then I thought it was normal to wave around a stick and do magic and have everyone stare at my forehead all the time. I thought it was normal to be the only one to have the power to defeat Voldemort, for Godric’s sake. Now I think it’s normal to command Aurors and fight dark wizards every day and come home every night to sing the Happy Hippogriff song for Holly and Jonathan, with gestures. Seeing is just another talent. You’ll adjust to it.”

And with that, he closed the door and made his way back down to the kitchen. He had just coaxed more words and emotions out of Jordan in one go than he probably had in the last seven years combined. Feeling very accomplished, he went to make himself some tea.

Jordan might be immeasurably intelligent, he thought, but he still had so much to learn.

Meanwhile, Jordan leaned back on his bed and let his eyes close. He could feel a dream coming on, ‘that’ kind of dream, as he thought of them, and he knew by now that these things weren’t worth fighting against.

The public square was dirty, disease-ridden, and incomprehensibly smelly, and the same could be said of the people lining it. But as miserable and disgusting as they seemed, they clapped and cheered with such joy on their faces that it almost didn’t matter.

And standing in the middle of the ragged peasants was a tall, strapping boy in his mid-teens, holding a sword and wearing a truly bewildered expression. He sported a shaggy halo of fair curls, the tanned and muscular look of someone used to working many hours in the hot sun, and fluffy peach fuzz on his face that would make Tyrone Thomas proud.

“All hail the king! All hail the king!” someone began chanting, and before long, the chant spread throughout the crowd, growing louder and louder and stronger and stronger. “All hail the king! All hail the king!” As the chanting continued and the boy holding the sword’s pale blue eyes grew wider and wider, a figure made its way through the crowd.

It was a smallish and slightly-built young man in his twenties, and even in a crowd as large as this one, he stood out. While everyone else was dressed in dirty and dull-coloured tunics and tights, this man looked clean and healthy, and his tanned olive-coloured skin was smooth and clear. He wore immaculate floor-length deep purple robes, and his long dark hair was shiny and well-cared for.

“Arthur,” he said in a soft, low voice, stepping into the center of the square.

“I don’t know what happened!” exclaimed the boy holding the sword. “I needed to fetch a sword, and I saw one sticking out of a stone, so I pulled it out, and now everyone’s calling me the king. Merlin, I just don’t understand.”

Merlin shook his head slowly. “It’s destiny,” he said quietly. “No one but the future king could pull that sword out of the stone. You’re Arthur Pendragon!” His face split into a wide smile. He really was good-looking, especially for someone of his time, but the effect was rather spoiled by his eyes. They were full of battles and ghosts and mysteries, and they seemed not just to belong to him, but to all of history and things to come.

“Wait… I’m supposed to be the king now?” Arthur looked as though he’d just been told he was the Queen of Sheba. “Me?”

“Come with me,” Merlin said kindly, eyeing the crowds as he pulled the boy after him. Once they were out of earshot, he said, “I’ve known for ages that I’m meant to mentor and advise the future king, the one who will bring together all of Britain into the perfect kingdom, the one who would be a household name for millennia after his death and have stories and plays and songs and art made all about him. I just didn’t know it would be you!” He paused. “And from the look of things, you didn’t, either.”

“Of course I didn’t!” exclaimed Arthur, looking really confused. “How would I? I mean, you always talk about how it’s your job to help out the king… but I don’t know how to be king. I don’t even know what kings do! I’d be a nightmare!”

He sat down, cross-legged on the ground, and Merlin joined him, though he elected to sit on a rock rather than a patch of muddy, manure-strewn earth.

“Arthur, listen to me. You will be a phenomenal king. You’re brave, you’re open-minded, you don’t just think about yourself, and most important, you’re a good listener. You’d be surprised by how rare that is among people in power. And if you don’t know what you’re doing, just remember that I can always help you out.”

The boy scuffed his foot on the ground, kicking up dust and coating his foot with mud simultaneously. “But I’m not even a knight or anything. I don’t even have a horse. What am I supposed to do, skip around bashing two rocks together making ‘clop clop’ noises like all the little kids pretending to be knights?”

Merlin chuckled at the image of a king skipping around miming horseback riding. “Very dignified, that,” he said. “But listen to me.” His eyes turned even more serious than before, and he said, “A wise man once said, some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.”

“Who said that?” asked Arthur. “Other than you, I mean.”

“Someone from the future,” Merlin replied, shrugging. “But what it means is, you’ve got to adapt. And if you do well with what you’re given, you’ll be great.”

“Easy for you to say. You don’t have to be king,” said Arthur, although his tone sounded more joking than sullen.

Merlin gave him a half-smile. “I haven’t always been a wizard, you know,” he told the boy. “Or a Seer. You can imagine my reaction when I found out I was.” His expression was reminiscent and faraway. “Everything we can do, we had to learn. Life’s about adapting. I haven’t always been able to walk or talk or read or milk goats or juggle five apples at once with my eyes closed.”

“You’re still kind of bad at that last one,” Arthur pointed out.

“Thank you for your support,” Merlin said dryly. “But listen, Arthur, you learn to get used to different things as you get older. Not everyone gets the chance to be great. You’ve just had greatness thrust upon you. I’m supposed to be your advisor and…” he grinned, “my advice is, go for it.”

Jordan’s eyes flew open, and the vision of Merlin melted away. But even if he could no longer see his face, he could still hear his quiet, encouraging voice ringing in his ears: Some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Well, he reflected, there were worse things he could have thrust upon him.
End Notes:


Hey guys! I now have a Facebook, so if you want to friend me, just send me an email or a PM. Also, check out my West Side Story and Beauty and the Beast spoofs!
Chapter 19: In Which Ivy Finds Fun In The Unlikeliest of Places by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
I still don't own Harry Potter. This chapter's short and kind of slow, but the climactic sequence is coming soon!
As the psychedelically colourful pictures of ducks and bunnies that Haley had placed around the Potter house indicated, it was two days before Easter, and Ivy was preparing to leave for her weekend with the Malfoy family.

“I still can’t believe you have to do this,” Ted said softly, helping Ivy pack her things. He picked up a little stuffed wolf from her bedside table. “Oh, don’t forget Mini-Me!” he added, tossing the toy in the air and completely failing to catch it with his other hand.

Ivy smiled. “Oh yeah, I can’t forget about him.” She folded a blouse and placed it neatly in her suitcase. “I hope Jordan doesn’t decide he’s too old to go Easter Egg hunting this year. I mean, he’s said he was too old for the past five years, but he always ends up joining in anyway. But now that he’s of age and… everything…” She uttered the word ‘everything’ slightly more significantly than she meant to. ‘Everything’ that came with Jordan being of age certainly did complicate things.

“Speaking of being of age, your birthday’s two days after Easter, isn’t it?” Ted asked, and Ivy nodded. “Man, it’s really going to be weird when everyone’s of age except me. I hate being the baby.” He pouted, doing an uncanny impression of Haley.

“Save the best for last!” said Ivy, smiling brightly. She carefully lay three books, including her well-worn copy of Pride and Prejudice, on top of her clothes and shut her suitcase with a click. “That’s that, I guess… and then I’m leaving for Malfoy Manor in an hour.”

Ted sat down next to her, bouncing a little on the bed. “Are you nervous?” he asked.

Ivy opened her mouth to speak, then paused reflectively for a moment, staring off into space. Then at last, she said in a small but strong voice, “No.” She looked almost surprised at her own answer. “I’m not nervous,” she repeated. “I don’t know why… maybe because I already stayed with the Malfoys over Christmas holiday and I know what it’s like, so I don’t have anything to worry about. Plus, I know Ophidias is on my side now, so I won’t be as lonely as last time.”

It really was nice when Ivy wasn’t nervous and worried all the time, Ted thought, smiling. He played absentmindedly with Ivy’s long braid like a cat batting around a curtain cord as the two of them sat in comfortable silence for a moment.

Then, Ivy asked quietly, “Remember when I was at the Malfoys’ back in December, you went and tried to visit me, and mo… Mrs. Malfoy wouldn’t let you in. What did she say to you?”

Ted smiled faintly. “Eh, nothing much. She said I don’t deserve you and you only hang out with me because you’re just relieved that anyone wants anything to do with you, and that I’m an inhuman freak of nature. Nothing I haven’t heard before.” He shrugged. “I might be wrong, but something tells me that she’s not too keen on me.”

“That’s horrible!” gasped Ivy, “I know there are people who think that kind of thing, but who actually says it to people’s faces? Especially to kids?”

Ted squeezed her hand. “Ivy, that stuff doesn’t bother me. I mean, sure, it makes me sad that some people are so prejudiced, but it doesn’t really hurt me. I know who I am. You can put me in a room with a guy who calls me a purple unicorn everyday, and I still won’t get it into my head that I’m a purple unicorn, because that’s obviously not true.”

It was interesting, thought Ivy, how you could know someone for years and realize new, different things about them all the time. For example, she must have seen Ted smile thousands of times by now, but she’d never before realized that his canine teeth were subtly more pointed than most people’s. They were another unique thing about him, like the fact that when he smiled, only his left cheek dimpled, and that he could lick his nose.

“So, what did she say about me behind my back, then?” he asked curiously, giving her another one of those pointy-toothed, single-dimpled smile.

“All kinds of things,” Ivy replied sadly, “and none of them too nice.” She paused and added, “She thinks you look like a drug addict.”

Ted exploded in laughter. With a slightly sickening thump, he fell backward off the bed and lay on his back on the ground, cracking up hysterically. “Oh, yeah,” he managed to choke, “Yes, I am, er, very hardcore. Yes.”

“Are you all right?” laughed Ivy, peering down at him.

Ted crawled back onto the bed, wiping tears from his eyes. “Sorry,” he wheezed, “but I just wasn’t expecting that! A drug addict? Even I know I’m the biggest goody-goody in the school!” He flopped down on his back on the bed. “When you go back to visit, make sure you bring up that I can’t function without taking at least two kinds of drugs a day.” He paused. “Just don’t mention that they’re Wolfsbane and insulin potion.”

* * * * * *


This time around, Pansy Malfoy did not even bother feigning pleasure at Ivy’s arrival at Malfoy Manor. Instead, she simply looked Ivy up and down, clucking her tongue at her plain blouse and skirt, and said, “I understand you’re nearly of age. I do hope you’re ready to enter the magical world as an adult. Have you been practicing your piano?”

“I practice every day,” Ivy replied, used to the way Pansy often juxtaposed strange and unrelated statements. “Everyone in my family is musical.” Her voice was mild, but her tone still made it clear that she was not intimidated by Mrs. Malfoy. It was interesting how similar the colour of Mrs. Malfoy’s complexion was to that of raspberry vanilla ice cream.’ Apparently, she hadn’t expected Ivy to stand up for herself this early in the visit.

“And I hope I’m ready for the magical world, too,” Ivy continued calmly, sitting down at the piano and starting to play ‘Eine Kleine Nachmusik’ by ear. “I’m trying to get an internship in the Department of Experimental Charms with the Ministry after I graduate.”

Mrs. Malfoy looked scandalized in a very affected, old-fashioned sort of way. She was good at being affected and old-fashioned. “Working? Surely you don’t need to work? You will, after all, have quite a lot of money from the Malfoy future once you come of age, and I understand the Potter fortune is not exactly small, either. Why work like a common drudge, alongside Merlin-knows-what when you can get married and leave the working to your husband?”

Ivy didn’t respond, but she reflected as she played that Pansy was just like someone straight out of Pride and Prejudice. And Pride and Prejudice was her favourite book, but Pansy was certainly not among her favourite characters. It was the twenty-first century. Hadn’t Pansy ever heard of women’s lib?

“What exactly are you playing?” inquired Mrs. Malfoy as Ivy’s piano music filled the space of what would otherwise be a long and awkward silence.

“Eine Kleine Nachtmusik,” said Ivy, “One of my favourite pieces. It’s by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.”

Mrs. Malfoy almost choked on the glass of wine that she was sipping. “What, you’re playing a piece by a Muggle? A nobody?”

“He was a genius,” Ivy replied quietly. “And he can’t have been a nobody if you already knew he was a Muggle when I said his name.”

“Well, I won’t have Muggle music played in my house,” she insisted. “There is perfectly good wizarding music available, and I see no reason why you must encourage the Muggle music…er… industry.” She patted her dark bob back into place.

“Dinner will be served in two hours in the dining room. Be sure to put on some suitable dress robes. In the meantime, feel free to have the manor to yourself.”

“That’s very kind of you,” replied Ivy, though she was thinking something more like ‘that’s very ostentatious of you.’ Did anyone actually refer to their manor as a manor unless they were trying to be assassinated?

She watched the woman who had been her mother walk up the grand staircase to her room. Ivy had always felt rather guilty about not loving her, but try as she might, she had never been able to. Ivy was a loving person by nature, and it hadn’t taken her long to love the Potters”even before she had been adopted, she had loved Mr. and Mrs. Potter like her parents, and she loved Holly and Jonathan and Haley and even Jordan like brothers and sisters. She was growing to love Ophidias, and part of her still loved Draco Malfoy.

But she had never been able to feel any sort of familial affection toward Pansy. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she and Ophidias were by large raised by governesses and servants with the occasional exciting guest appearances by their real parents. But maybe, it was just because she had always known that the feeling was mutual.

Ivy had planned to retreat to her room as well, as she had on her Christmas holiday visit, but the weather was too beautiful to stay inside for long.

The sky was a clear and cloudless blue, extremely rare for England, and it was sunny and warm outside. The grounds of the manor, always inviting, were positively irresistible in such weather, and Ivy decided she’d have to be crazy not to take a book outside and sit in the sun.

She took her copy of Little Women from inside her suitcase and stepped outside and onto the wide expanse of the Malfoy lawn.

It really was a wonderfully kept place. Ivy felt certain that this was probably because slews of house elves had tended to the landscaping even during the Malfoys’ stay in prison.

She strolled through the orchard, which probably due to magic, always seemed to be full of fruit. Birds twittered and blossoms from the trees drifted through the air on lazy breezes, and Ivy settled down on the rickety old swing dangling from a pear tree, feeling as completely removed from the outside world as the Malfoys had always liked to be.

She couldn’t help but wonder why the Malfoys lived in such a wonderful place. It didn’t feel right to love being here as much as she did. All alone, she felt like Mary Lennox in the secret garden from the book of the same name--living in a house where the company was austere at best, but the gardens were her personal haven.

She opened her copy of Little Women and began to read, pumping at the swing to carry her into the air. How long she stayed on the swing, she couldn’t say, but she completely lost herself in her book, completely forgot where she was or what was going on, or indeed that she was not one of the March sisters.

As she pumped higher and higher, her braid flew out behind her and flower petals settled in it. She kicked off her shoes and socks and wiggled her toes in the warm air and began to hum quietly under her breath. As she swung back and forth, the humming morphed into full-out song, the rhythm matching the creaking of the swing perfectly. Ivy remembered how she had used to sing on the swing when she was small, her fath… Malfoy pushing her and singing along… well, singing and swinging went hand-in-hand, and she let the song flow freely.

It was a song from a musical that Haley was particularly fond of, a quiet, lilting tune. As a general rule, she didn’t sing, especially out of doors”Haley and Jordan both had beautiful voices, and Ivy wasn’t very good, particularly when compared to them”but no one was around to see her and she was totally free to sing what she wanted.

A pear from the tree above her dropped on Ivy’s head and she stopped abruptly. Fruit falling from trees was nothing unusual”it happened all the time. What was unusual, though, was that this pear had been eaten down to the core.

Ivy’s head snapped back, and when she looked up into the tree, she nearly fell off of her swing. Ophidias was sitting nestled in the crook of two branches, so well-camouflaged by leaves that she hadn’t seen him at all. Ivy blushed even pinker than any article of clothing owned by Haley. She couldn’t believe he’d heard her singing like a stupid little girl.

Ophidias seemed to realize that he’d upset her and jumped down from the tree. “Look, I’m sorry,” he said. “I didn’t mean to scare you. I was sitting up here, and you came, and I thought you knew I here. I should have wondered why you were so… carefree.”

He was very good at blending into the background, Ivy had noticed, almost uncannily so. It was the second time he’d surprised her like this in as many visits to the Malfoys.

Ophidias gave her a fleeting half-smile. “You used to always sing on that swing when you were little. With…”

“With your dad,” Ivy finished quickly. “And one time he let you push me and you accidentally pushed too hard, and I fell off.”

Ophidias raised his eyebrows. “That wasn’t an accident,” he said, almost mischievously.

“Somehow, I’m not surprised,” Ivy said, smiling a little herself. Thinking back to when she was four years old, she would be surprised if Ophidias hadn’t wanted to push her off the swing. A little girl in a white frilly frock with a pink sash, shiny patent-leather shoes, and a massive pink bow in her hair, warbling off-key to herself on a swing above a muddy puddle was an irresistible target for a six-year-old boy. “We used to ride our horses together, too,” she said reminiscently.

“Oh, wow, I haven’t done that in ages,” Ophidias sighed, shaking his head.

Ivy paused. “Do you want to right now?” she asked.

“What?”

She shrugged. “Well, this is the last time I’m ever going to be here, and since you’re graduating at the end of this year, you probably won’t be here much longer, either. I don’t see why not.”

“Well… I just haven’t been in the mood to do something like that,” Ophidias muttered. Ivy looked at him, his hunched shoulders, his tired eyes, his hollowed expression. He was depressed”understandable after spending a year in Azkaban and then getting thrust back into society and having to face all of his peers again. It was painful to see him like this.
“I’m not saying it’s your fault, but you can’t get out of that mood until you let yourself,” said Ivy, her voice soft. She brushed her fringe out of her eyes. “Please? Will you go horseback riding with me?”

Ophidias exhaled, silent for a moment. “You’re so annoying,” he said, and paused. “But I like you a lot better than I ever did before. You know what? Yeah. Yeah, I’ll go horseback riding, but only for a bit.”

“A bit is good enough for me,” said Ivy, smiling brightly. She tucked her book inside her purse and headed off for the paddock and stables behind the orchard. Her own horse, Galatea, was grazing at the fence, pure white all over and just as beautiful as she remembered. Galatea flapped her wings gently”yes, of course she was a flying horse, this was the Malfoy family, after all”and snorted, sensing the presence of her owner.

“Hi, girl,” whispered Ivy, holding out an apple from one of the trees in the orchard as a gift. “Remember me? I know, I’ve been gone a long time. I’ve missed you.” The horse crunched up the apple in two bites and nuzzled the Ivy’s head fondly.

“That’s right, it’s me,” she cooed, opening the gate and stepping inside the paddock. She took Galatea’s saddle and bridle down off of a peg and quickly fastened them on. “Have the house elves taken good care of you while I was gone?” Ivy whispered as she climbed onto the horse and slipped her feet into the stirrups. “Yes, that’s a girl. What a good girl.”

She looked over at Ophidias, who had already mounted his grey horse, Mercury, and was sitting up tall in the saddle. In those black hooded robes that he always wore, he looked like some sort of crusader or phantom messenger or something.

Ivy felt tall and powerful sitting up on her horse, and there was something comforting about the gentle swaying motion of Galatea walking slowly around the paddock. And then, without warning, Galatea flapped her powerful wings and Ivy felt the tug in her stomach that could mean only one thing.

The horse soared up into the air, treading on nothing. Ivy cheered and gripped the reigns tightly as a cool breeze blew her hair. Laughing as she plunged through the air, she glanced over at Ophidias. His face was relaxed, no longer stony and stiff, and there was a flicker of life once more behind his eyes.

Ivy flew over Ophidias’s head, laughing. She had never really been a fan of Quidditch”in fact, she barely understood the game, but she knew so many people who were absolute nuts about flying on broomsticks. She wasn’t good at balancing on a piece of flying wood, and in any case, she found it unsettling at best, but she was a talented horsewoman, and riding Galatea made her realize what Jordan and Emma and Tyrone’s mania for flying was all about.

She made a mental note to someday do this with Ted. Ivy liked animals and was reasonably good with them, but Ted was like Snow White when it came to getting along with any kind of creature. Riding a flying horse would probably be the most thrilling event of his life.

“I forget how much fun this was!” she cried.

“Yeah,” replied Ophidias, pulling up next to her in midair. “So did I.”

They had left the paddock and were flying over the manor. They didn’t need to worry about being spotted by Muggles because there were none here in the neighborhood; if there were, Pansy would have insisted the family move years ago. But even if there were Muggles in the area, magical creatures tended to have highly unique protective charms cast on them. Any Muggles who happened to catch sight of Ivy and Ophidias would only see two young hang gliders”unusual, but hardly magical.

“You know,” remarked Ivy, “I feel sorry for my sister, Haley. She really likes horses, especially winged ones”Care of Magical Creatures is one of her favourite classes”but she can’t ride. She’s terrified of heights.”

“Haley…” Ophidias squinted. “Is she the kind of shrimpy one with the black hair who started singing that song in the Great Hall?” Ivy nodded affirmatively. “Ah. It’s a good thing she’s so short then, or she’d always be scared.”

Ivy laughed. She’d never thought of it that way before. And that would be an excellent point to make the next time Haley was griping about being so tiny. It was funny to imagine if, say, Ted was afraid of heights. He’d have to crawl everywhere.

“Oh yeah, Haley Potter,” continued Ophidas, rolling his eyes. “Charybdis Nott just loves her.”

Ivy had rarely ever heard a voice so positively laced with sarcasm, and that was considering that she spent considerable time with Jordan and Emma. “I can’t say Haley’s especially fond of Charybdis, either,” she replied, then paused a moment, steering her horse higher into the air. “Is it really true that she was Muggle-raised?”

“Mostly. From the time she was little, anyway. There was this family, the Mariolinis, I think, who took care of her, but she never really talked about them. She hates them.” He sighed. “When she was new to Hogwarts, I felt sorry for her because she’d had to grow up with Muggles and she didn’t have a clue about magic, even though her dad was from one of the old pureblood families. So I decided to give her a hand. You know what that means.” Ophidias made a face.

Ivy knew exactly what he meant. He meant that he’d explained to her what it meant to be from an old family and how superior she was to the majority of the school, and far superior to the Mariolinis. It was easy for kids, especially young ones, to believe things like that, especially since Charybdis didn’t seem to like her guardians very much already.

Ivy couldn’t help but notice that Charybdis’s story sounded remarkably similar to her own adopted father’s, and she had to wonder what would have happened had he ended up in Slytherin. Probably, his story would have turned out a lot more like Anatoly’s than Charybdis’.
“I can’t believe I ever liked her,” Ophidias muttered darkly. “I even went out with her for a bit before Azkaban. Believe it or not, I thought she was ‘mature’ for her age.” He laughed humourlessly. “But then, I’m stupid. What can I say?”

Ivy turned around sharply on her horse. “You’re not stupid,” she exclaimed. “I was there when your OWLs came, and they were great. And you’re a Prefect and in loads of N.E.W.T.s classes. You’re a smart person who’s done some stupid things.”

Ophidias smirked. “Based on how many,” he said, “I’d say a stupid person who’s done some smart things.” He stroked his horse’s mane, looking almost peaceful. “But this is definitely one of them.”

* * * * * *


“Well, you two have certainly been quiet today,” remarked Mrs. Malfoy that evening at dinner.

Ivy, freshly washed and dressed in clean robes, swallowed her spoonful of soup. “We were riding,” she explained, wondering how Mrs. Malfoy could lose track of what they were doing, even in such a massive house. Her parents always knew what exactly everyone was up to back at Number Seven, as chaotic as things often got there.

“Oh, marvelous,” Pansy said carelessly. She seemed chatty, unusual for her. “Well, it’s quite nice to see that you two are getting to be close again.”

Again? Ivy and Ophidias exchanged glances”this was the closest they’d ever been, unless she meant close to killing one another.

“Did you have a good time, then?”

“Er, yes,” replied Ivy, slightly disconcerted that, for the first time in her life, she was the talkative sibling at the dinner table”not that she and Ophidias were technically siblings anymore, of course, she reminded herself.

“I thought you might.” Pansy’s tone grew more serious, though it was clear that she was still attempting to sound casual and friendly. “Ivy, it’s so obvious that this is where you belong. Feel free to visit whenever you like. You were born for a life like ours, not to spend your time with… with Mudbloods and blood-traitors and ghastly part-human creatures like werewolves and””

“SHUT UP.”

But this time, it was not Ivy who had spoken. It was Ophidias, and his voice was unexpectedly sharp and powerful-sounding. He was standing up straight, his head high and his grey eyes simmering, and for the first time since Azkaban, it seemed like the old confident Ophidias was back.

Pansy stared at him in utter shock. Her fork fell out of her hand and onto the ground with a dainty ‘clang’.

“Shut up, mother,” her son growled in a low deadly voice, his face distorting in disgust. “Look, I’m just sick of you trying to hammer stupid stuff like that into our heads. Even I don’t believe you anymore, and if a moron like me doesn’t, then Ivy definitely won’t.”

Pansy laughed nervously. “Ophidias, I””

“I thought I said to shut up!” He narrowed his eyes in the contemptuous, threatening expression that he’d once used on Gryffindors and Muggle-borns not too long before. “And there’s no use trying to get Ivy to give her money to you, either.”

Now Ivy turned to stare at him. “Wait, what?”

“Oh, yeah.” He laughed bitterly, and Ivy realized that he reminded her a lot of Jordan sometimes. Maybe that was why she kept forgetting that he wasn’t her real brother anymore. “You’re going to be of age later this week, and guess what”and I can’t believe you didn’t know this: Dad’s… my dad’s will said that if he dies or is otherwise incapable of running the household or something like that, you inherit all of the money, all the property, the house, the heirlooms, the house elves, everything. And mother”my mother”thought if we could get you to feel like part of the family again, you’d give us, meaning her, some of the inheritance.”

He smiled stonily. “Now, I personally plan on getting a job after school and making money on my own, though I don’t know who would hire me. But anyway, I don’t care about the fortune, and good for you. It’s just, Mother doesn’t feel like getting off her lazy pureblood bum and actually earning some gold for herself, so she’s trying to weasel it off you.”

Pansy sputtered incoherently as Ivy stared from her to Ophidias and back again.

She didn’t even know where to begin thinking about this. Draco Malfoy had left everything”absolutely everything”to her. Pansy would have her life snatched out from beneath her. And she had thought that trying to regain custody of Ivy would make Ivy realize that she wanted to be a Malfoy after all and give everything back to them…She could have laughed. Ivy was years beyond the age of brainwashing.

Ophidias sat down, looking somewhat exhausted after his outburst, and looked expectantly at Ivy, who shook her head in amazement.

“I don’t want this house,” she said slowly. “I don’t want the fortune. You could have just asked.”

It was true that she did not love Mrs. Malfoy, but the money was rightfully hers. She had married Draco Malfoy, helped run his estate, mothered his children (however poorly), helped him escape from prison, spent a year in Azkaban for him. It was ridiculous for her not to receive any of his inheritance.

“But you didn’t have to try to take me away from my family,” she continued. “It’s where I belong. I would have given you the money.” She looked at Mrs. Malfoy in amazement. “Don’t you even know me at all?”

No, she thought to herself. No, Mrs. Malfoy didn’t know her at all. She didn’t know anything about her.

The woman sputtering indignantly at the end of the table was a simple person who had gotten in too deep, Ivy realized. It was plain that all she ever wanted was to marry a wealthy pureblood and live a luxurious life in a beautiful mansion with the freedom to buy whatever she wanted. She obviously hadn’t wanted to be a mother, hadn’t wanted to try and impersonate her own mother passing on all of the pureblood traditions. She didn’t like children, didn’t know how to deal with them. And she really had not wanted to get in conflict with the law.

Against all odds, Ivy found herself feeling sorry for her. She almost smiled. Was she turning into Ted, or had she simply spent so much time with him that he was rubbing off on her?

“Don’t just give in and hand over everything to her!” exclaimed Ophidias feverishly. “Ivy, just stop for one second and think of everything she’s done to you. The last thing she needs is more stuff. Even dad obviously thought she was worthless.”

Ivy smiled serenely. “It’s my money and my house,” she said, her voice completely calm. “I can do what I like with them. And I think she should have them… and you, too, of course.”

“No, thanks,” snarled Ophidias. “I don’t want anything unless I’ve done something to deserve it.”

Pansy, still looking totally confused, gazed blankly at her son, who until just a few minutes before, had seemed a staunch supporter of the pureblood movement. She turned her eyes toward her former daughter, suddenly so confident and poised and as sure of herself as any good pureblood… yet willing to leave all of the Malfoy family inheritance so she could make her own way in the world like a worthless nobody.

It was hopeless to try and reason with either of them. She did anyway.

“But… but… I…” she stammered. “We’re a dying breed.”

“Yeah,” Ophidias said darkly. “Because we’re a breed that’s finally getting smarter and realizing we’re not the only breed out there.”

Mrs. Malfoy shook her head sadly. “I can’t believe it,” she spat. “Blood traitors, the both of you. I feel like a horrible mother… why didn’t I set you right before it was too late?”

“You feel like a horrible mother… ha!” Ophidias began harshly. “You””

“Don’t,” Ivy said, stopping him in mid-sentence. She turned to Mrs. Malfoy and said softly, “I’m sorry you don’t like how I’ve turned out… I really am.” She flicked her fringe out of her eyes. “But the thing is… I’m not sorry for being me.” She caught Ophidias’s eye and smiled slightly. “Do you get what I mean?”

Pansy’s eyes were still wide and completely uneasy. “No.”

“That’s okay,” said Ivy. She hadn’t expected her to.

* * * * * *


Ivy tiptoed into the darkened lawn, which suddenly looked sinister under the cover of night. The gentle creaking of the swing added to the weird, eerie mood.

“I thought I’d find you here,” she said, and Ophidias looked up in alarm.

“How did you know I’d be out here?” he demanded, nearly falling off of the swing. “It’s near midnight.”

Ivy sighed. “I knew you’d be somewhere that would make you hard to find,” she explained. She looked at that familiar, angry face. “You know,” she said, “You don’t always have to hate someone. Just because you stopped hating someone doesn’t mean you need to switch to someone else.”

Ophidias’ forehead creased even more. “Ivy, you make no sense sometimes,” he told her. “And the worst part is, I think it’s because you make too much sense.” He snorted. “I guess you’re right,” he said. “I should get over myself. And you know what I think would annoy mother the most?”

“What?”

“If I was actually happy for a change.” He smiled, a lot less bitterly than usual. “It’s worth a try, at least. I’ve yelled enough.”

Ivy smiled back. “I say go for it,” she said. “She won’t know what hit her.”
End Notes:
So, I saw HBP, and I loved it! I've gotten over my aversion to things they change from the books... I don't really care about plotholes because the only people that they'll affect are the losers who haven't read the books yet! ^_^ But... Dan Radcliffe still bothers me. I like him, but I can't stand him as Harry. And I think it's because I've just realized, the way he acts and talks (and even his build) remind me a lot more of Jordan than of Harry. Ah, well. I was VERY impressed with their choice for Zabini. I could totally see him yelling at people for making the potato joke.
Chapter 20: In Which Things Start To Heat Up by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
I own nothing to do with Harry Potter. If I'd written the books, there would be no such thing as Albus Severus. Well, this is probably my least favorite chapter of the story, but it's important, so there we go!

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley stared wordlessly at one another over their kitchen table, a small and unassuming roll of parchment lying between them and the raspberry jam. Neither of them were able to find in them the words to communicate their anger and horror, even with Hermione’s vast vocabulary and Ron’s proficient grasp of obscenities.

“Well,” said Ron at long last, looking drawn and ill and distressingly weak, “That’s it, then… it looks like I’m going to Azkaban.”

“I don’t believe it,” Hermione said quietly, her voice almost a squeak. Her knuckles were white, and her hands shook as she clutched her tea cup. “How can they… it’s… well, everyone knows you didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Yeah,” growled Ron, snatching the piece of parchment and crumpling it up. “Never stopped that idiot Bellowes, though, has it? I reckon the only reason he became an Auror was so he could get all the people he hates in trouble.”

Hermione blinked her stinging eyes. “Oh, Ron, I can’t believe this… aren’t you scared?”

“No,” he replied staunchly, with a defiant tilt of his chin. “Of course not.” His voice cracked, and suddenly, he lost control, great shuddering sobs wracking his body. “I’m bloody terrified,” he croaked, burying his head in his wife’s shoulder.

Hermione did not try to offer words of comfort to her husband, who considered fighting off dark wizards and coming within an inch of death part of his daily routine. She knew him too well. Instead, she wrapped her arms tighter around his neck, and whispered, “Me, too.”

* * * * * *


Emma kicked angrily at the sofa in the Common Room before throwing herself onto it and curling up like a cat. Her toes throbbed horribly after whacking them so hard against the side of the sofa, but she barely noticed. Her mind was elsewhere, probably still lurking around the same mysterious place it had been all week, since her father had been sent to Azkaban.

All year long, she’d known her dad was in trouble, known Hadrian Bellowes wanted to ship him off to prison, but somehow, she’d never expected it to actually happen. She’d always assumed that he’d get out at the last minute though some lucky coincidence, like so many of his other close scrapes.

Not this time.

He had already been sent off to Azkaban by the time she’d gotten her letter, and there as nothing that she could do about it. She imagined her father, huddled shivering in a dank cell, dressed in threadbare prison robes, kept company by screaming madmen and crazed dark wizards shouting and cackling maniacally in their sleep… and her eyes began to prickle and burn.

Oh no, she thought furiously. I do not cry. I am brave. I am in total control…

“Emma?”

She whirled around to face Tyrone Thomas, his expression hopefully earnest.

“What?” she said, in a voice that sounded weirdly choked and muffled. Ugh. She’d been hoping for more of a snarl.

“I heard about your dad,” Tyrone said uncomfortably. “Er… I got you these.” He handed her two packages, both full of frogs”one box of chocolate frogs, another of cheap green rubber ones. Emma had no idea why Tyrone would give her rubber frogs, but then again, his mind was a bizarre place.

“The toy frogs are for chucking against the wall,” Tyrone explained, as if reading her mind. “They kind of… splat well. And I thought you might need some chocolate.” He smiled, but it wasn’t his usual dazzling, cocky grin. It was more of a sad, sympathetic smile. “I kinda know how you feel,” he admitted quietly. “When my mum died, I… well, all I wanted was to chuck frogs like this all day… don’t tell Fido I said that.”

Emma opened her mouth, with the intention of demanding that he go away and leave her alone, but amazingly, something very different escaped her mouth. “Thanks,” she muttered, determinedly not meeting his eyes. Godric, why did she sound like a shy three-year-old with a bad cold?

“Hey, you’re welcome,” Tyrone replied, looking somewhat startled at the softness of her voice. “Well, uh, I know you want me to leave you alone now, so I’ll just go and””

“No,” Emma said suddenly, and blinked, seemingly surprised by her own words. She patted the spot next to her on the sofa. “Look… sit down, have some chocolate… you spent your money on it, after all. I could do with a bit of company.”

Tyrone flashed her his classic grin. “Aw, cool!” he exclaimed, and jumped over the back of the sofa to plop down beside her. She almost smiled in spite of herself.

“Nice shirt,” she said dryly.

He looked down at his torso, checking to see what he had chosen to wear in the haze of early morning, and grinned yet again. His t-shirt proclaimed in bold, red letters, “PRIZE INSIDE.”

“Well, honesty has always been one of my best qualities,” he said importantly, his mouth crammed full of chocolate frog.

“This coming from the boy who has a sign hanging from his broom that says ‘My Other Ride Is A Unicorn,’” Emma shot back.

Tyrone looked affronted. “Hey, it worked on my ex-girlfriend.”

“Oh? Why’s she your ex-girlfriend, then?”

He smiled bashfully. “She found out it wasn’t true.”

Emma threw one of the rubber frogs at his face, where it splatted against his nose and stuck there with a very satisfactory SCCCHLORP. Both of them laughed madly.

“Hey, I’m not complaining!” laughed Emma. “It beats that shirt of yours that says ‘WARNING: CONTENTS MAY BE HOT!’” The insane laughter began again and lasted a little longer than necessary.

Emma was quiet for a moment, then said at long last, her voice hushed, “How do you do that?”

“Do what?” he asked brightly. “Be so gorgeous? Well, every morning, I””

“I feel so much better,” she said slowly. “It’s incredible.” If she hadn’t known him better, she would have sworn Tyrone was blushing.

“Er… I’m magic?” he said after a moment, twirling his wand theatrically. He shrugged. “Listen, Em, your dad’s gonna be fine. He’s a tough guy. And it’s just a little while in Azkaban.”

Emma gave him a small smile. “Thanks,” she said again.

It was an odd kind of reconciliation after two months without speaking. There were no apologies, no mentions of the past, no pleas for forgiveness.

But in those few moments, some secret, unspoken understanding had come between them, and as Emma had said, suddenly they both felt much better.

Tyrone was right, she thought. It had to be magic. What else could it be?

* * * * * *


Jordan felt very daring and rebellious sitting in Professor Zabini’s classroom the next day. The professor was droning on and on, relating everything the class would need for their exams the next month, but he wasn’t taking notes, or even paying the slightest bit of attention.

True, his eyes were fixed on Zabini’s, and he looked every inch the raptly attentive student. But he wasn’t thinking about strengthening solutions or the draught of the living dead. He was trying for the umpteenth time to perform Telemency.

He knew he wasn’t the only one not listening. Haley seemed to be having a humorous conversation with Lee, her diary, as she practically had to stuff her hand in her mouth to mask her giggles, and across the room, Anatoly Capshaw was playing Solitaire without even the slightest attempt to conceal what he was doing. Two Ravenclaw girls were bewitching origami cranes to flutter around their desks, and a Hufflepuff boy was doodling what looked like smiling unicorns and flowers all over the back of the Transfiguration homework that he would have to turn in later that day.

And Emma… she had been fuming with anger since her father had been sent to Azkaban. But now, she looked dramatically cheerier as she and Tyrone alternated muttering the word ‘potato,’ interjecting it into the professor’s speech in increasingly louder and louder voices in a competition to see who would be caught first.

Tyrone? Since when were he and Emma friends again? They hadn’t spoken since February! Jordan groaned inwardly”now that they were friends again, there was always the chance that they’d meet a horrible demise in the forest. He’d thought he was through worrying about that vision.

“…and of course, the chief ingredient of Veritaserum is a large…”

“Potato.”

“Which, if used properly, will produce a potion with no discernable colour, taste, or…”

“Potato.”

Jordan did not smile at their antics. He was concentrating, staring deeply and unblinkingly, into the pupils of Zabini’s cold black eyes until he felt his mind slip into the professor’s. It was amazing, really, how few people used Occlumency, he reflected, as a string of images poured into his mind.

Zabini, turning red with rage as Haley sang ‘All You Need Is Love’ atop the Gryffindor table. Zabini, forcing a small boy to sample his own clearly badly-made potion. Zabini, as a child himself, putting on the Sorting Hat. A young Zabini staring up in awe at Professor Snape in his first-ever Potions class. Zabini in his early twenties, kissing a girl under a tree. Zabini in his late teens, shouting angrily at a pale blonde boy who could only be Draco Malfoy. A young Zabini watching Malfoy with a smirk as… was that really…?

Jordan almost blinked. Malfoy was dueling a tiny, scrawny boy who could only be a much younger version of his own father, while a vapid-looking blond man looked on. It was beyond weird seeing his dad, so young and terrified-looking, and even weirder to see Draco Malfoy besting the famous Harry Potter in a fight.
He brought his attention back to Zabini’s mind, where he saw a room full of serious-looking men and women in what looked like lab coats brewing massive vats of potion, while an adult Zabini looked on.

And then… Jordan could hardly believe his eyes at the next one, certain that his mind was playing tricks on him. The next image was that of the shadowy forms of Emma and Tyrone running through the forest, talking and laughing and holding hands… pale moonbeams puncturing the almost complete darkness… four middle-aged men holding… what were they holding?... and a shattering ‘bang’ accompanied by a horrible inhuman howl of pain, and an anguished male voice crying, “Me! Me! Get back here, if you’re going to shoot her, why don’t you come after me as well?”?”

He broke the connection at once and closed his eyes, watching the images dance around inside his own head.

How was it possible for Zabini to have that same string of images in his mind? Could it be possible that Jordan himself had been thinking it at the time and mistakenly thought he had seen it inside the professor’s head? But no, he knew perfectly well what Legilimency felt like, after practicing for a year.

Could he have actually performed Telemency, transferring his own thoughts into the professor’s mind? But, no, that didn’t make sense. The memory he’d pushed to the forefront of his mind for experimentation with Telemency was a particularly bloody moment in the French Revolution that he’d witnessed in a dream a few nights before. It had to be Zabini’s own memory. Could Zabini be a Seer, too?

If nothing else, it might explain why he always seemed to have a sixth sense. Or even more terrifying, what if he, too was a Legilimens, and had seen the vision in Jordan’s head? But no, that wasn’t possible, either. Jordan was careful to use Occlumency at all times.

He didn’t want to think about it any longer. It just didn’t make sense, and it didn’t do to give himself a migraine headache. He looked for another victim on whom to experiment.

Hmmm… he didn’t want it to be anyone he knew or liked; he wouldn’t wish the disturbing scene of the French Revolution on any of his friends or aquaintances.

His eyes rested on Charybdis Nott, who was sitting at an angle from him that would make it very simple for him to plunge into her mind. Of course, there might be the awkward question of why he was staring at her… but then, he was a Seer, and therefore practically expected to do mad and slightly disturbing things without question. There was something freeing about it, he realized, being a lunatic. Was this how Anatoly felt all the time?

Charybdis’s mind proved even simpler than Zabini’s to break into, and before long, he was tunneling through her memories. There was Charybdis giggling as she set up the trap for Anatoly earlier in the year, there was a younger Charybdis holding hands with a happy and confident Ophidias as they sauntered through the hallways, there was Charybdis examining herself in the mirror decked out in ball finery, there she was entering the Triwizard Tournament, mocking Ivy with Ophidias on the Hogwarts Express in second year, entering Hogwarts… sitting in a corner sobbing…

Jordan realized that he was beginning to get into some pretty personal stuff, but there was something oddly fascinating about seeing into Charybdis’s head. He dredged up a memory at random.

The screen door of a lovely country home banged open, and a man and woman with dark hair and open, friendly faces stepped inside, carrying suitcases. “I do hope you like it here,” said the woman. “This is going to be your new home.”

Two little girls who looked to be about four and six followed them, looking around the house with expressions of mixed mild interest and confusion.

“It’s pretty,” said the smaller one, a tiny birdlike creature with two long plaits of straight copper-coloured hair. She was dressed in a little turquoise dress with puffed sleeves and a full skirt. “But do Mummy and Daddy know we’re here?”

The couple exchanged uncomfortable glances.

“Mummy and Daddy are gone, Chary, remember?” the taller one said with a solemn, patient air. She had a round, sad-eyed face and mousy brown hair that fell into her eyes, and her pink dress was exactly the wrong shade for her pallid complexion.

“Oh,” said the tiny Charybdis dreamily. “As long as they come back soon.” She stepped over to the mantelpiece and squinted. “Your house is funny,” she proclaimed. “The clock’s only got two hands and the pictures don’t move.”

Her older sister shifted uneasily and hissed, “They’re Muggles. The nice man with the lollies said so. Mummy and Daddy told us about Muggles.”

Charybdis giggled. “Their pictures are silly.” She poked a photograph of the dark-haired couple on a boat and clapped her hands together. “Scylla! Scylla, come see! Look, they don’t even blink or anything!”

The dark-haired couple smiled fondly at the little girl. “Your sister is so cute, Scylla” said the woman. “She has such an active imagination.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Mariolini,” said the older sister, Scylla, politely, giving the distinct impression that she was tiring of receiving so many compliments about how cute her sister was and none about her.

Charybdis marched right up to Mr. Mariolini and prodded him in the stomach with a little finger. “Can you really not do magic?” she asked matter-of-factly.

Mr. Mariolini looked down at her, chortling. “What an imagination indeed,” he said.

Suddenly, the memory dissolved, and was quickly replaced with a fresh one. It was the same country house, but less tidy, clearly the home of two young girls. Mr. Marioli was reading the newspaper, Mrs. Mariolini was in the kitchen chopping vegetables and listening to the radio, and a plain teenage girl with limp, mousy hair was sitting on the sofa, demurely reading a book. Charybdis was nowhere to be seen.

Just then, the doorbell rang, and the teenager who had to be Scylla jumped up to answer it, smoothing the skirt of a rumpled sundress that did not suit her at all. She opened the door to reveal a face that Jordan recognized at once.

“Hello,” the man at the door said pleasantly. “My name is Professor Remus Lupin, and I’m here to see Charybdis.”

“Are you another one of her teachers?” Scylla asked in a long-suffering sort of way. “Only Charybdis is always having weird things happen to her, and I know she makes a lot of trouble, but””

“Er, not exactly,” said Professor Lupin delicately.

“Well, come inside,” Scylla offered. “The sitting room’s over there, and my foster parents will be happy to talk to you. I’ll go see if I can find my sister anywhere.” She bustled off with the air of a girl playing the mother in a game of house.

Mrs. Mariolini set down the carrot she was peeling and hurried into the sitting room, wiping her hands on her apron to shake Lupin’s hand. “Hello, I’m Miriam Mariolini, Charybdis’s… er… guardian. I’ve been her foster mother for the last seven years. This is my husband, Jason.” Mr. Mariolini inclined his head.

“So, are you from Charybdis’s school? I know that the, er, incident with the lemurs last week was”” her voice trailed off when she saw the confused look on the professor’s face and she sat down, leaning forward slightly.

“Mrs. Mariolini, what I’m about to tell you might sound insane, but please listen to me,” Lupin said in that low, calm voice that automatically made everything he said sound both sensible and wise. “Charybdis has been accepted into a very, er, selective boarding school in Scotland called Hogwarts. It is a school for children with unusual gifts.”

Mr. Mariolini narrowed his eyes. “What unusual gifts?”

“Well, for example, what you were saying about the lemurs… I’m assuming things like that happen to her all the time,” he explained, smiling slightly. “It’s not just a coincidence. It’s magic.”

Mr. Mariolini let out an odd sort of choking cough as Lupin continued on to describe Hogwarts, talked about the nature of magic, explained that Charybdis’s own perents had attended it, and even demonstrated a few spells.

Several moments later, the Mariolinis were sitting white-faced and shell-shocked looking, still blinking in a dazed and disbelieving sort of way. It was then that Charybdis came thundering down the stairs, her face alight.

“YES!” she shouted, racing into the sitting room. “I knew it! I told you all along! I’m not crazy! I knew I wasn’t a Squib like Scylla!”

She stopped dead in the centre of the sitting room and pointed an accusing finger at the Mariolinis, her expression curiously dark and dangerous for a girl her age. “You’ve been acting like I’m crazy for years. You were too stupid to believe me when I said magic was real. You told me to stop it because I was getting in trouble and you made me go to a stupid shrink! But I’m not mad! I can get away from you stupid Muggles and go somewhere where people will believe me!”

Lupin looked unsettled, peering with disbelief at the little girl. She was small and pretty in a delicate, china-doll way, but her yellow-amber eyes were as hard and angry as those of the most worldly and jaded witch. “I’m going to show you,” she hissed. “I’m going to be a real, live famous witch one day.” She pointed at Scylla. “And you’ll be stuck living like a Muggle your whole life”serves you right! You remember Mum and Dad, but you still acted like you thought I was mad. I thought--”

But Jordan never found out what she thought, because while he was watching scenes from Charybdis’s life, he heard something most unusual.

Professor Zabini was still lecturing, Emma and Tyrone still potato-ing, and all seemed normal… until it wasn’t.

“Of course, these ingredients can only be found in the…”

“Potato.”

“… but the advantage is that even if drunk by a…”

“Potato.”

“…it will still be an efficient cure for…”

“Potato.”

The Professor paused, and Tyrone shrank back in his seat, clearly having uttered his last ‘potato’ a bit too loudly.

“Thomas,” Zabini said in a dangerously soft voice. “You have…” his voice cut off, and his face froze, and he suddenly exclaimed, “EUREKA!”

Jordan’s head whipped around at the sound of the word, wondering what could have possibly happened and inadvertently found his way into Zabini’s mind. It was a strange jumble, a soup of shapes and sounds in the Professor’s excitement as he gathered up the ingredients in front of him, and it clashed strangely with the images of Charybdis’s mind as they played against each other. He couldn’t tell where one mind began and the other ended. It was like he was seeing into one big brain.

Wait a minute… it slowly dawned on Jordan that this was not normal. He was seeing inside Charybdis’s and Zabini’s minds… at the same time. He couldn’t believe it. Performing Legilimency on two people at once?

And just then, he realized something. He could combine two minds by looking into both of them at once. If he focused on his own mind, not singling out one memory as he had before…In fact… yes, he was quiet sure. If he could perform Legilimency on himself and someone else at the same time… Legilimency was all about eye-contact. What if he just… made contact with his inner eye?

He barely even noticed as Zabini ran off into the storeroom, shouting ‘class is dismissed!’ over his shoulder in a weirdly giddy voice. He barely even noticed as the rest of the class gathered their books and got to their feet, murmuring about why Zabini could have possibly just dismissed the class and (in the case of two particular students) still exclaiming “potato!”

Jordan didn’t know or care what epiphany Zabini had just had… because he was having one of his own.

* * * * * *


Cyril ab Llewellyn was a small and unremarkable third year boy whose most distinguishing feature was his tendency to stare into space with his mouth slightly open.

Perfect, thought Jordan, sitting across the Common Room from him later that day. It wasn’t a matter of going into someone’s mind and planting a thought there. He’d always thought of it as a click and drag option, but it wasn’t. But if he concentrated hard enough on the contents of two minds, they would be bound together into a kind of stew of thoughts… and it he did the job properly, then he would leave his own memories imprinted on Cyril’s brain and guide him into thinking the thoughts he wanted to convey once their minds were fused into one. It was like something he’d once seen in some old Muggle science fiction show.

Keeping his own mind open and awake, he stared hawk-like and unblinking into Cyril’s eyes. He imagined his own eyes were twin drills boring neatly into the pupils of the younger boys’, making tunnels through which he could enter.

He had gotten good at this. He’d done it before on Tancred Apple, of course, but now, aided by the memories of centuries of Legilimenses thanks to his gifts, he knew where to find everything, what had to be tweaked. Brain science, like so many other Muggle creations, deserved far more credit than it got from the magical community.

Cyril’s memories were none too fascinating, and Jordan managed to nudge them aside and make his way toward what really mattered.

His mind, Cyril’s mind, his mind, Cyril’s mind… it was as if their brains were in a blender. Was he Jordan or was he Cryril? He could scarcely tell anymore”it was like they shared a single brain between the two of them. Had he ever tripped over her dog, or was that Cyril? Did he even own a dog? His memory told him, clear as day, that he had. But why could he remember four different parents, two with the last name Potter and two with the last name ab Llewellyn?

After one extraordinarily confusing moment”or it could have been an hour or a day or a month”he managed to gather his mind together and pull it out, becoming himself once more. Exhausted and sweating, he leaned back in his armchair, his eyes closed. It had been one of the strangest moments of his life… and he had no idea if it had worked.

But just then, he saw Cyril, clutching his head and moaning, “Whoa… that was so weird… my mind just, like, jumbled up for a second, and then it was like I was watching all this stuff that I never saw… Man, I think I’m sick.”And he staggered off to the dormitory to lie down.

It had worked! IT HAD WORKED! He had cracked the mystery of Telemacy, the one thing that even Merlin could not accomplish in his lifetime. It was nothing, it was so simple and obvious, but he was the first, and he had done it!

Not caring who saw or what they thought, Jordan leaped out of his armchair and let out a bizarre sound, somewhere between a whoop of victory and maniacal laughter. “YES! HAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAH!” He punched the air with his fist, feeling absolutely weightless and completely un-Jordanlike.

It was then that the door of the Common Room opened, and Haley, Ted, Ivy, Tyrone, and Emma stepped inside, talking animatedly with one another. They froze in their tracks when they saw Jordan, his arms spread and his head thrown back as he laughed like a madman. His face shone with the odd, radiant beauty that it had the night of his seventeenth birthday, and there was no tension or stiffness anywhere in his body. He looked… graceful.

“What the…” said Emma.

“Yeah, I’m inclined to agree with her,” said Haley, staring.

Jordan ran up to them, beaming. “I did it!” he exclaimed, his voice hushed with rabid excitement. “I’ve figured out Telemency”passing on thoughts from one person to the next! I tried it on Zabini and Charybdis Nott, and just now I did it… I gave Cyril ab Llewellyn my memories, and””

“Wait, is this that thing you were talking about that’s supposed to be impossible?” asked Ivy.

Her brother nodded frantically. “Yes! Only now I get it… and it’s so simple, I can’t believe I didn’t earlier. I can’t believe nobody else got it earlier, either!” Jordan never used exclamation marks at the end of his sentences. It had to be serious.

“Er… well done!” said Ted, obviously confused but managing to grasp that this was a vast achievement more than worthy of congratulation.

Emma, however, did not look so happy. On the contrary… well, had she not been Emma, it would have almost looked as though she was terrified. “You did that thing? Where you break into people’s minds? Without even asking if you could try it on them?”

“Well, no, of course I didn’t ask if…”

“You moron!” Now the only word to describe her expression was ‘furious.’ “Why would you do a thing like that? That’s seriously creepy.”

“What do you mean?”

Emma’s hands were balled into fists at her sides. “Listen, you don’t… use people like lab rats! I mean, just because they’re not as smart as you? That’s sick!”

Jordan wasn’t sure why she had this aversion to his experimentation. It wasn’t as though she even liked Zabini, Charybdis, or Cyril, anyway”and she hadn’t been too keen on it when he’d first told her about it months ago, either. In fact, she’d called him a freak…

Well, he didn’t particularly care what Emma thought. She was no concern of his.

Just as he was thinking that, a memory surfaced in his brain… his first-ever vision, way back over the summer… the dream in which he’d been a pathetic hobo and Haley had begged him for help. He’d thought of that dream often, and how the glamorous, older Haley had told him that he was responsible for Emma’s death. It had kept him awake at night. But it had been a long time since he’d really remembered the dream Haley’s exact words.

I know you’re too afraid to face anyone from the wizarding world after what you did in your sixth year, and I don’t blame you. Of course, you’re Bellowes’s hero now, especially since Ron died. And, yeah, everyone pretty much hates you, especially for what happened to Emma Weasley, but you can redeem yourself.

Or he wouldn’t have to. There would be no need for him to redeem himself again in ten years, no need for Ron to die in prison, no need for anything horrible to happen to Emma. There was a reason why Emma was so worried about Telemency, why she’d been even more touchy than usual lately, and Jordan was sure it had to do with Ron. Maybe if Ron had never been in trouble with Bellowes, none of this would have happened.

And there was something Jordan could do. Something that had a million ways to go wrong, that other people had failed at in so many ways. But Jordan wasn’t other people.

“What’s up?” asked Tyrone anxiously. “You looked kind of weird just then.”

“So what else is new,” muttered Haley.

Ivy peered anxiously at her brother. “Was it a vision?” she asked.

Jordan, not keen to tell the whole truth, lowered himself into his armchair again and faced the group. “Yes,” he said seriously. “I had a vision that Uncle Ron’s going to die in Azkaban.”

The result was instantaneous, and it didn’t take a Seer to predict what it would be. Haley let out a little squeak of horror, Ivy gasped and grabbed Ted’s hand, Tyrone went greenish-lilac, and Emma made a strangled sort of choking noise, and her hands shook so badly that she dropped her schoolbag.

“We have to save him,” Jordan stated, looking thoroughly solemn.

“How?” snarled Emma, her face very white. “If he’s going to die, there’s no use.”

It was sometimes shocking how little most people knew, thought Jordan. “Visions aren’t a guarantee of what’s going to happen,” he explained simply. “They’re what’s going to happen unless something’s done to change them. The future can always be altered.”

Haley squinted. “Wait, so you’re saying we just skip out of school and bust him out of Azkaban? I’m thinking that’s not one of your more brilliant plans, Jor-jums.”

“That’s because it’s not my plan,” he replied with a mysterious half smile. “And never, ever call me Jor-jums again, or your future will be grim.” He sighed. “What we need is evidence that will convince the Ministry he’s innocent.”

“But the diaries are missing, and they’re the only proof,” Ted said sadly.

Jordan shook his head, still smiling that infuriatingly mysterious smile, and plunged his hand into the front of his robes, pulling out something on a long gold chain. “What about the Final Battle?” he said.
End Notes:
Yes, I did get the idea of Telemency from Star Trek. Shut up.
Chapter 21: In Which Haley Takes The Plunge by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
So, I don't own Harry Potter, Wizard of Oz, or any of that stuff. But... it would mean the world to me if you guys nominated me for Quicksilver Quills. Also, I recently updated my Potter's Pentagon spinoff, Pride and Prejuiced Plums, which is a delightful romantic comedy from Emma Weasley's point of view, loosely based on Pride and Prejudice but with added werewolf warfare.

Haley blinked. “I am really confused,” she stated plainly, looking around for support. “Anyone else not following this, like, at all?”

“This is a time turner,” her twin informed her smoothly, holding up the object on the end of the long chain around his neck. “If I use it to go back to the Final Battle, I can hide and watch until Uncle Ron kills Snape. Then I can come back, go to the Ministry, and use Telemency to show them that Uncle Ron didn’t do anything wrong, because there’s really no chance that he did. Don’t you see?” And then, he uttered the wisest and least Jordan-y phrase that had ever escaped his mouth. “But I should bring some support. In case something doesn’t go as planned.”

“Good, because I’m coming,” Emma said immediately, stepping forward.

Tyrone looked at her sideways. “If she’s coming, I am, too. Knowing her, she’ll finish off Voldemort herself and wreck history, and someone has to at least try and stop her.”

“I’ll come,” Ivy volunteered.

“Me, too,” said Ted. “Hey, it’s not even due to be a full moon for another week. This is my first chance to help save the day in human form.”

Haley nodded solemnly. “And of course I’m coming.”

Jordan stood, his posture erect and his face full of authority and purpose. His eyes were dark and hard and his face might have been marble, and if his hand was only inside his jacket, he might have been channeling Napoleon. He at least had the ‘short’ part covered.

He’d looked like this many times before, and it was a look he’d inherited from his father. But now, at age seventeen, a fully grown Seer, and still dangerously confident from the rush of discovering Telemency, he was more formidable than ever. “Follow me,” he said, “we have to pick up one more person.”

“Why do I feel like I’m having a serious case of déjà vu?” muttered Tyrone as the group strode briskly down the corridor.

“Okay, so where exactly are we going?” asked Emma, feeling uncomfortably like a lemming headed straight off a cliff. “And who are you getting?”

But Jordan pretended not to hear her question and simply walked silently until he reached the portrait hole to the Ravenclaw Common Room.

“It’s password protected like ours,” Ivy told him helpfully. “They said so at the Prefect orientation last year. I don’t think there’s any way to talk to someone who’s in there if you don’t know the pass””

“Mooncalf.”

“”word,” Ivy finished in a soft voice as the portrait hole swung wide open.

Jordan gave her a little smile. “Seer, remember,” he said jauntily, and stepped through the portrait hole into the Common Room, motioning to the others to stay back. He was far too sure of himself, far too happy. Even Tyrone thought he was acting disturbingly Tyronish since discovering Telemency. But maybe a little excess confidence was good in such a crazy endeavour as time traveling. Maybe sheer confidence was all that would keep it from being a total disaster.

Jordan made his way through the portrait hole, fully aware of how he was acting even more so of the astonished faces of the Ravenclaws sitting around the Common Room. But one thing that could be said about Ravenclaws was that they were a bright bunch, and no one called out anything like “What are you doing here? You’re not in this house!”

Savouring his freedom to be as strange as he wanted now that his reputation was established, he walked through the Common Room and leaned against a chair. “No need to look so upset; I’m not here to predict anyone’s deaths,” he assured the Ravenclaws, reminding himself irresistibly of Merlin. “I just need Cecilia Longbottom.”

Cecilia looked up wide-eyed from her homework. Everyone around her was whispering and staring, wondering why this sixth year Gryffindor, not even a Prefect, needed to speak to a third year so desperately that he would barge into their Common Room. Wisely, she decided to steer Jordan off to the corner, where it would be difficult for the rest of the room to watch them.

“All right, what’s all this about?” she asked immediately.

Jordan smiled. “Right to the point. Well, for complicated reasons that I really don’t have time enough to explain, several of my friends and I are traveling back to the last battle against Voldemort, and I thought you might want to come.”

Cecilia stared at him and blinked, as if doing so would make what he had just said make any semblance of sense. “What?”

“Your parents were both in the battle. You must wonder what happened and what it was like”trust me, I can honestly say that I’ve been there.”

Cecilia blinked yet again. “Well, yeah, of course, but I’d never want to actually go there. It’s dangerous. And besides, it’d just be embarrassing. My parents only got injured”I’m not surprised, they’re not really the hero type.”

Jordan couldn’t believe his ears. “They got injured? Cecilia, it’s a major accomplishment that they even survived! You wouldn’t say that my dad was rubbish up against Voldemort because he got a cut on his forehead.”

“That’s not what I mean, and you know it! My dad’s your Herbology teacher. You have to admit he can be pretty spacey, always buttoning his shirt wrong and forgetting what the homework he assigned was. And my mum’s even worse. It’s like I’m the mum and they’re the clueless kids. I have to tell them everything. There’s no way they pulled their own weight against Voldemort.”

“Oh, really?” Jordan’s voice was eerily soft, and his eyes intensified even more. “Because I’ve seen the battle.”

Cecilia was silent for a moment, looking up at the older boy. After a moment, she said in a small voice, “You really believe this Seeing stuff, don’t you?”

Jordan’s expression was faraway and thoughtful, and when he spoke, it was slowly, as if his words were being transmitted to him from somewhere far away. “It’s more… knowing than believing. If it was anyone other than me, even Haley… especially Haley… I’m quite positive I wouldn’t believe a word of it, but when I can see it for myself, it’s impossible not to.” He paused. “But I didn’t see the battle like that. It was in a… different way.” His manner changed, becoming brisk and businesslike once more. “So, are you coming? I do have several of my friends waiting outside your Common Room.”

Cecilia raised her eyebrows. “Jordan, I’m a Ravenclaw, not a Gryffindor. I don’t go running off into danger, or whatever it is that you and your friends like to do.”

“But that’s why I thought you should come!” said Jordan. “Every mission like this needs someone who is practical and logical to keep everything from turning into chaos.”

“What about you?” the younger girl shot back.

Jordan laughed humourlessly. “Me? Not anymore. I’ve lost any sense I might have ever had… though at least I’m sane enough to have realized that much.” He narrowed his eyes in thought. “Of course, I don’t think I was ever very sensible, not really. I just tried to convince myself that I was.” He seemed to realize that he was talking to himself and quickly changed the subject back to Cecilia and the mission at hand. “We won’t actually be going into combat,” he assured her, “We’ll just watch from the sidelines, and if anything does happen, I’ve always got my time turner with me. You’ll be in good hands.”

As soon as the words ‘good hands’ left his mouth, he couldn’t help but immediately think of Trelawney ranting and raving about how unique and amazing his palms were. He tried to shake the image from his mind.

Cecilia stared off into space, apparently weighting the pros and cons of the situation, then at last said decisively, “I say we do it. What have we got to lose?”

“Honestly?” He hadn’t been expecting this. Although he knew he’d recruit Cecilia in the long run”he always ended up accomplishing what he set out to do”he’d never predicted, Seer that he was, that it would be so easy. “Well, that’s fantastic. We should go now”and if anyone asks any questions, just say something about how strange I am and how nothing I do makes any sense. That should satisfy them.” He was not joking.

The small third year girl followed him out through the portrait hole into the corridor, where she immediately saw Ted, Ivy, Haley, Emma, and Tyrone loitering around the hallway and playing Exploding Snap.

“Hi!” Ted said cheerfully. “You’re Cecilia Longbottom, right?” She nodded a bit shyly. “Cool, I hear you’re really smart,” he told her. He’d also heard some less complimentary things, too, but there was no way he was going to mention that.

“I’m Ted Lupin,” he introduced himself brightly, as if she didn’t already know. In addition to being a member of the famous Potter’s Pentagon, his status as a Prefect, his height, and the fascinating fact that he was a werewolf made him a fairly well-known figure among younger students. “And this is Ivy Potter, and the girl drawing smiley faces on her shoes is her sister Haley, and that’s Emma Weasley, and the boy with the toad is Tyrone Thomas.”

“Are we really going through with this, going back in time?” Cecilia asked incredulously.

“Wow, you really must not know Jordan,” Emma said with a wry smile. “He’s a psycho. If he wants something to happen, it happens even if it’s totally impossible. I mean, when you’re a loony, I guess that kind of stuff doesn’t matter.”

Jordan raised his eyebrows. “I’m standing right here, you know,” he told her flatly. “But yes, we are going back in time, so let’s go.”

“What, just like right now?” asked Tyrone, looking astonished.

“No, we’re going to the Room of Requirement, then taking the Floo network to my house. Then we’re going back in time.” His voice was so matter-of-fact as to be unnerving.

“Déjà vu again,” Tyrone muttered under his breath as Jordan set off down the corridor, the others following confusedly. “And are we picking up his Muggle girlfriend again or something?”

Jordan whirled around to face him, and the much taller, bigger boy actually shrank back with a look of intimidation. “Giorgi is my friend,” he said, his voice flatter than a pancake. “And if you really think that it would be a good idea to let a Muggle witness the final battle against Voldemort, then you obviously have no idea what you’re getting onto.”

On this encouraging note, the other six looked at once another uncomfortably before heading down toward the Room of Requirement.

“Then why are we going to Godric’s Hollow?” asked Ted.

Jordan’s voice was quiet but strangely deep. “Because,” he said, “That’s where the final battle happened.”

“How did you…” began Tyrone, but this time, it was Ivy who answered.

“He’s seen it,” she replied simply. She was the first person her brother had entrusted with the secret of his exploits in the Pensieve back when that had been the most angst-inspiring event in his life, and it wasn’t the sort of thing that was readily forgotten.

No one asked Ivy to elaborate.

But before they could reach the Room of Requirement, their progress was stopped by an unexpected person. “Well, bonjour,” said Anatoly Capshaw, leaning lazily up against the wall near the Room of Requirement. “You all seem to look very purposeful and epic-heroic. I’m guessing something out of my depth is about to happen?”

Haley looked around at the faces of her friends, unsure of what to say to Anatoly. On one hand, she didn’t want to lie to him; on the other, she also didn’t want her brother to incur his wrath upon her. “Ummm… well, we’re going… somewhere… to do… something,” she said eloquently.

“Ahhh,” replied Anatoly, nodding sagely. “It’s like that time you people charged into the woods to save Ivy from the Acromantulas in first year, or like that time you charged into the woods and defeated Draco Malfoy in fourth year, or like that time charged into the woods and stopped Tancred Apple from giving the secret of magic to the Muggles last year. So, you’ve found yourselves a new bit of woods, have you?” He leaned forward, wiggling his eyebrows mysteriously.

When he put it that way, it sounded like they were always racing into the midst of some arboreal catastrophe to save the day. But they weren’t, not really. Much. Well, it was a family trait.

“We’re actually going back in time to the last battle against Voldemort to see what’s up with Snape,” Haley blurted in one breath.

Anatoly’s limber eyebrows skyrocketed to his hairline. “You,” he proclaimed, “are kidding. That is stark, staring, screamingly loopy, even for you people.”

“Yep,” said Haley brightly. “Want to come?”

“Well, let me check my schedule and see how many world-saving missions I have scheduled for today. And I’ll go find the special shoes I’ve reserved specifically for charging into the woods.”

Jordan glowered, not liking Anatoly’s flippant attitude one bit. “Haley, he””

“Is coming? Funny, that’s exactly what I was about to say,” said Anatoly, flashing a smile.

Jordan did not look particularly pleased with this development, to say the least. “Why would you even want to come?” he demanded. “Do you think this is some kind of… of game or something?” He didn’t know Anatoly Capshaw particularly well, but one thing that he knew about him was that Haley seemed to like him, and he generally did not trust his twin’s judgment.

“As a matter of fact, no,” said Anatoly, and in its unsettling way, his face shifted abruptly from open friendliness to icy defensiveness. “I wanted to help a friend, actually. Is this suddenly a crime or something? Or are only cool people and experienced heroes allowed to do it?”

Emma looked around at her friends. “We can’t trust him!” she whispered. “He’s a Slytherin!”

She hadn’t whispered quietly enough, because Anatoly looked straight at her, his expression just as dark and defiant as hers. “And you’re rude,” he shot back. “Believe me, I have just as much respect for you as you have trust for me.” He folded his arms. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember that there were eight people on the bright and shiny side of the battle when your uncle defeated Voldemort? Shouldn’t you bring me along for good luck? I am part Irish, if that makes a difference.”

No one said anything for a moment. Then, finally, Ted spoke up. “I’m thinking we need all the help we can get,” he said.

“So long as you know what you’re getting into,” Jordan said seriously as the door to the Room of Requirement popped into existence.

The seven of them stepped inside. And Anatoly followed.

* * * * * *


“I can’t believe Dad would want to build a house and everything right where he killed Voldemort,” Haley said, shivering slightly as she stepped out of the fireplace into her deserted house. “I mean, he doesn’t even like to talk about it. Wouldn’t living here make him think about it like all the time?”

Ted came out of the fireplace behind her, the last of the group, and flicked ashes thoughtfully out of his hair. “No, I think it’s kind of the opposite,” he replied slowly. “If I were him, I’d want to live here so I could have a bunch of good memories about this place. It beats having to think about the battle all the time. And I bet he feels at home here, knowing that this was the first place he was ever happy, even though he was too young to remember it.”

“You know, I think you’re right,” mused Ivy, looking impressed. “Knowing how Dad’s mind works, that’s probably the case.” She reflected that all the places where horrible things had happened to her father”Godric’s Hollow, Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic”were all places that were now important in his life, places he’d lived and worked. He’d even donated money to have a Quidditch stadium built in Little Hangleton where the Riddle house and its graveyard had once stood, and had the cave where he had once fought Inferi transformed into a special emergency headquarters for Aurors. The one exception to this rule was Privet Drive, but maybe some wounds were just too deep.

“Well,” said her brother, briskly pulling his Time Turner up over his head and succeeding in making his hair look even more horrible than usual. He flicked his wand and made the gold chain from which it was suspended long enough so that all eight of them could fit in. “Make sure that none of you talk to anyone”especially not to disclose your identities”and don’t get involved with the battle. Horrible things have happened to people who meddled with time.”

Privately, he realized he sounded an awful lot like some ancient white-bearded wizard who plodded around with a staff and a lot of wise warnings from one of Giorgi’s Muggle fantasy novels, but he shook off the thought.

He looped the chain around the necks of all eight of the people who were rather amusingly packed together, elbows seemingly protruding from ears, and noses crammed into armpits. “I’m going to take us back now,” he announced, his voice steady. “The time turner has got lots of knobs”one for minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years decades, centuries, and millennia”so it’ll just be a few turns. You’re going to feel a bit like you’re Apparating, so be prepared, and do not let go.”

He twisted the decade knob twice, the year knob three times, and added a few more twists of the smaller knobs to get the timing exactly perfect.

And then it happened.

Months of using the time turner for Divination classes had caused him to become so used to time travel as to be almost bored with it, but he’d never gone more than a few hours back, and never with company.

In a strangely palpable sort of way, time whizzed past them, while their feet remained rooted to the ground (with the exception of Haley, who seemed to be doing a nervous little step dance of anticipation). The other seven shrieked and gasped as though riding an especially ferocious roller coaster and grabbed each other’s arms and (in the confused jumble) necks.

At last, the maelstrom cleared. And when it did, the house wasn’t there anymore.

* * * * * *


The eight of them were standing in the midst of a small heap of rubble, the sort of crumbled rock and plaster that was partly covered with dirt and weeds and had been lying untouched for years.

Apparently, no one had thought to clean up what was left of the Potters’ house after it had been destroyed, or were too afraid to come near, even sixteen years later, or perhaps they had decided to leave it untouched as a monument. But in any case, the effect was at once disconcerting and sad.

“It’s like the opposite of The Wizard of Oz,” remarked Tyrone, up on his Muggle films as always. “We’re in the same place, but we left the house behind.”

Everyone looked around hesitantly and uncomfortably, chills making their way up their spines. The street was deserted and abandoned, sitting in various states of gross disrepair. “I don’t like this,” Emma said definitively.

“Really, because I absolutely love it here,” Anatoly replied, sarcasm oozing from his words. In the silent street, his voice echoed larger than life. “Frankly, I’m a bit disappointed. Hardly any woods to charge into at all.”

Cecilia rubbed her forearms nervously. “It’s too quiet.”

It was. The eight teenagers stood wordlessly amid the rubble, feeling awkward and anxious and letting the silence swirl around them. Suddenly, Haley let out a gasp and clutched Emma’s arm.

“What?” said Jordan, his head whipping around as though he expected to see slimy green monsters devouring his sister. It would be a fine kettle of fish if they were spotted by Death Eaters just a few minutes into their time traveling trip.

“I just realized,” said Haley, “I really, really hate the name Jeremy.”

Jordan gritted his teeth and used all of his willpower to keep from smacking himself in the face. It was sometimes so hard to believe that he and his sister shared DNA, let alone the same species. “Right,” he said. “Quite obviously, no one else is here yet, so it would be the opportune moment for us to go hide behind one of those houses to watch before the battle starts. Remember, don’t scream, and don’t try to help out, even if it seems grave. If you meddle with the past, you can””

But he didn’t get to list the horrifying side effects of mucking about with time… nor did the group get the chance to hide. Because just then, they heard the explosive sound of several people Apparating at once, just out of the range of vision behind a row of houses.

“Seriously, this place still gives me the creeps every time,” insisted a deepish voice with the mumbling ineloquence of a teenager. “I know it makes you feel better and everything, but why come back now? It’s the third time this year.”

“Yes, we are on a tight schedule,” added an anxious-sounding, slightly shrill female voice.

“Oh, I think it’s quite pretty,” another girl’s voice replied, this one as distant and faraway as if uttered while in the midst of a dream.

“People died here,” a boy’s voice whispered solemnly.

There was a slight pause, then a man’s hoarse voice said quietly, “It certainly does bring back memories.”

Eight figures came from behind a nearby house, and the time travelers froze where they were. They were standing out in the open, in the middle of a pile of rubble. How much more conspicuous could they be? Before any of them could even begin to think of a possible way to hide, the newcomers came into the light, and the friends suddenly realized that these people were both familiar and unfamiliar.

“Who are you?” demanded the tallest of the group, whipping out his wand immediately.

Emma stared. The boy with the wand in his hand was a gawky, gangly boy with vivid red hair cut into a stupid-looking style that must have been fashionable back in the 1990’s. His pale skin was dotted with freckles, and his eyes were blazing like blue hearts of flame. Emma recognized that expression. She wore it more often than her favorite pair of shoes.

This boy was her father, at age seventeen. Her age. The idea was too weird to fully comprehend.

“Well?” Ron demanded aggressively, still holding out his wand.

At last, Ivy spoke up, her voice soft but clear. “We’re on your side.”

There was a brief moment of silence as the two groups looked at one another, sizing each other up. Emma surveyed the faces of the eight people before her, people she knew but who didn’t yet know her.

There was Mr. Potter, looking spindly and awkward in his hugely baggy Muggle clothing. He looked weary and strained, but his face was glowing with purpose in the same way that Jordan’s did when a mission was afoot. There was the future Mrs. Potter, slim and very young-looking for a girl of sixteen, her resemblance to Haley suddenly shockingly noticeable despite their different colouring. There was… blimey, Emma’s own mother hadn’t changed at all. She suspected that even when her mum had been a child, she’d been the exact same lovingly neurotic and nagging Hermione.

Behind her stood Professor Longbottom, an amazing sight on its own. Emma had never been able to imagine Professor Longbottom without his wheelchair, never thought of him standing on his own two legs, yet there he was, a plump-faced and floppy-haired boy. Next to him was Luna, her eyes impossibly huge and misty grey, rather than the blind white that they would become. Her fashion sense seemed not to have changed, though”apparently, blindness hadn’t altered her innate ability to choose outfits that really did not match.

On the other side was Ted’s mother, and Emma had to smile just looking at her. She knew Professor Lupin often talked about his wife’s Dora’s punk stage when she dressed in grungy clothes, wore her hair in pink spikes, and demanded to be addressed by her surname, but it was so funny to see Mrs. Lupin looking so rebellious and… unmotherly. It was especially funny to see the contrast between her and her reserved future husband, with whom she was holding hands.

Emma’s gaze lingered on Professor Lupin. He looked awful. Despite the fact that this man was over twenty years younger than the Defence professor she knew, he seemed older. Although this Lupin’s grey hair was still streaked with brown and his face was less lined, he was shockingly gaunt and ill-looking, shabbily and poorly dressed, and unshaven. His expression was one of mild-mannered misery.

“What are you doing here?” demanded Ron sharply, lifting his future daughter from her reverie. He was apparently feeling in a pugnacious mood, although he didn’t cut a very impressive figure.

“We live in… um… America,” Haley said quickly, keeping her wits together quite well. Talented actress that she was, she was able to pull off a surprisingly convincing American accent. “We were on holiday… that is, vacation, in the country, and we wanted to see the place where Harry Potter killed You-Know-Who. We’re big fans of his.”

Wow. Jordan was impressed. It took a true genius to feign dimness so well, though she had rather lacked subtlety. “Haley,” he hissed, playing along, “I think that is Harry Potter.”

Haley looked up at Harry slowly, blinking, then her face split into a massive grin. “You rock!” she squealed, hugging him and feeling thoroughly odd about embracing a father who did not know who she was. “And you do look kind of like Jordan! Everyone tells us we look like we could be related to you!”

She knew her twin brother would never direct attention to the resemblance between the two generations of Potters”he was still too logical, even though he constantly insisted that he wasn’t anymore. Logically, if you don’t want someone to realize you’re his son from the future, you don’t point out the resemblance between the two of you. But Haley knew more about people”and she knew that black hair and green eyes were an unusual combination. The safest bet was to draw attention to it, and allow everyone to realize it and then drop it completely a few minutes later.

Harry gave the group a bashful half-smile, apparently not used to being randomly hugged by excitable girls. Up close, he looked pale and haggard, and there were dark circles under his eyes. “It’s nice to know I’ve got support, I guess,” he said.

“So,” said Cecilia casually, “Er, what are you doing in Godric’s Hollow, then?”

“Well,” said the perky-looking Mrs. Lupin, who was apparently not yet “Mrs.” anything. “Harry just likes to hang out here, makes him feel calm… and Remus and Neville and Luna and Ginny and I just joined today to help him””

“Tonks!” exclaimed Ginny quickly.

“”out…”

Ginny smiled apologetically. “Sorry, you never know who’s a Death Eater.”

Tyrone gave the group his most winning smile, which was saying something. All of his smiles were pretty wining. “Oh, that I understand. But trust me, we’re not Death Eaters,” he laughed.

“Ahhh,” came a drawling voice out of nowhere, “but we are.”

And suddenly, they were surrounded. Black-cloaked figures formed a ring around the group, masked faces leering and wands extended. It was a trap.

Jordan turned white, his freckles standing out across his nose like chocolate chips on an underbaked cookie. This wasn’t supposed to happen. The plan was to wait safely behind one of the dilapidated houses, not to get involved with the fight or tamper with the past, even to the slightest degree. But they had no choice. They had to fight… or there was no alternative but death...

And across from him, the boy who would become Jordan’s father looked just as petrified as he did. “If Voldemort comes, we’re dead,” he hissed out of the corner of his mouth to Hermione. “We still never found the last Horc… you know.” The Death Eaters had moved closer now, their wands drawn out, closing in around the sixteen frightened people.

Just then, there was a red bang of light, a nonverbal incantation, and a Death Eaters fell to the ground. Hastily, Neville tucked his wand back into his pocket, barely shifting a muscle.

The silence was palpable, weighing on them all for one terrible moment as the Death Eaters stared at one another and at the sixteen in turn. Then the Death Eaters sprang to life, flinging curses, lunging forward, pairing off to duel.

“Everyone fight for defence! Follow the plan!” shouted Harry. He tilted his head and his mouth moved slightly, forming the phrase, ‘no plan”fake it.’

As the battle began, not with the measured niceties of a civil wizards’ duel but a frantic many-sided free-for-all, Haley yanked her brother aside, pulled her Invisibility Cloak out of her purse, and shook it out.

“Put this on,” she whispered, thrusting it at her twin. “You can’t let anyone even try to attack you. You’re the brains behind all of this, we can’t afford to lose you.”

Jordan blinked. “No, I””

“Look, don’t try to pull the ‘brave and noble Gryffindor’ card on me. I’ve known you forever, and I know you’re not Dad. When it comes to battle, you’re more of a Slytherin.” Coming from her, unlike nearly anyone else, this was neither a compliment nor an insult. It was a simple fact.

“But you””

“Whatever!” exclaimed Haley, tossing it over Jordan’s head. “If you die out there, don’t come running to me. Let’s face it, your life’s more important than mine is. You have to realize you’re one-of-a-kind… I mean, the future needs someone like you a lot more than they need one more actress. And if anything happens to you, you know the rest of us won’t stand a chance.” She pulled her brother into a tight hug that left his arms dangling awkwardly, trapped beneath her viselike grip. “Listen, Jor-jums. I might not get another chance to tell you this, but you’re a cooler guy than I gave you credit for. I’m proud of you, baby brother.”

Jordan felt his vision blurring slightly, and was glad that his face was concealed beneath the cloak so that Haley couldn’t see his expression. “I still think it’s stupid to give the cloak to me,” he said. “Your defensive skills aren’t as strong as mine. But… you’re a lot braver than I am. I should’ve realized that ages ago.”

There was a loud ‘bang’ behind Haley, as Jordan pulled the cloak up and vanished completely.

“Oh, I have to duel now!” she squealed. “See you around! Or… not see you around, Invisi-Boy!” She winked and skipped off, wand clutched in hand.

* * * * * *


Remus Lupin’s wand had been knocked from his hand, and the hulking figure of Travers the Death Eaters was moving ever closer toward him, his steps seeming curiously slow and dreamlike. Remus could feel his heart beating in his ears, and his knees protested loudly as he scooted back further in search of his wand.

But Travers’s wand was pointing directly in his face, and he could see every enlarged pore on the man’s red nose as he came closer. “Accio wand,” he hissed, and caught Remus’s wand neatly in his hand as it came zooming toward him.

“Looks like you’re out of luck,” he jeered. “Die, werewolf scum!” He slashed his wand and began to utter the dreaded incantation. “Avada””

“PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!”

Travers fell frozen to the ground, his eyes still darting back and forth, and an extremely tall and skinny boy stood where Travers had a second before, prying Remus’s wand from the Death Eater’s stiff fingers. “Hi, I’m werewolf scum, too!” he greeted the fallen Death Eater brightly. “Except for the scum part.” He held out a hand to Remus. “You all right?”

Remus took the hand gratefully and got up. Standing, he came to the boy’s shoulder. “Thanks,” he said, and dusted off his robes. He paused and squinted at the boy for a moment, a faint crease appearing between his eyebrows. Something about him seemed strangely familiar. “You’re really a werewolf?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’m Ted, by the way. Ted…” his eyes flickered around the square that had become a battlefield. “Ted… Window…toad…spoon.”

“Ted Windowtoadspoon,” Remus repeated flatly. He was sure the boy was lying about his surname, and he had no idea why, but he decided not to question it.

The boy, Ted Windowtoadspoon or whoever he was, nodded. “Yeah. That.” He bobbed his head awkwardly, then his friendly face darkened and his wide blue eyes turned sad. “People like that Death Eater make me so mad,” he sighed. “Anyone who calls people scum… my girlfriend’s, um, her mother doesn’t like me, either, though I guess that’s fair, because I can’t say I’m all that fond of her, either.”

“You let people know you’re a werewolf?” asked Remus. It was hardly a secret that he was one, but it hadn’t been his decision to reveal it to the wizarding world. Snape had made that decision for him. “And you have a girlfriend?”

Ted smiled. “You sound so surprised!” he said. “Am I really that bad-looking?” He laughed. “Yeah, everyone at my school knows I’m a werewolf, it’s not really a big deal. It’s easier than trying to keep secrets from everyone.” As casual as he was speaking, something about the tone of his voice made it sound as though he had said this many, many times before.

Remus was torn between being really impressed and being cynical. The boy seemed so confident and optimistic… and he couldn’t be any younger than sixteen. Surely he was dealing with the violent spells and wolfish moments that all werewolves approaching adulthood had to face.

“Don’t you have a girlfriend?” Ted asked. “That woman with the pink hair over there?”

Remus swallowed a lump in his throat. For some reason, he felt nervous. “Er, in a way,” he said, feeling himself blushing like a teenager again. “But it’s hardly a long-term relationship. It’s not as though we plan on getting married or anything.”

“Does she know that?” asked Ted, who seemed uncomfortably interested in the details of a total stranger’s personal life.

“Well, no, but I think it would be fairly obvious,” Remus said rather bitterly. “Who’s ever heard of a werewolf getting married? And we don’t breed.”

“My dad’s a werewolf,” offered Ted, “and he’s been one since way before he got married. And I know what you’re thinking”he didn’t bite me. It was a freak accident. But anyway, he says he doesn’t care what werewolves are and aren’t supposed to do as long as mum’s fine with everything.” He smiled. There was something about his voice”it certainly wasn’t very deep, and his tone was always soft and off-hand, but something in that voice made it impossible not to listen.

“Actually, you know what my dad says?” continued the boy. “He says it’s our choices that make us who we are, not our abilities.”

Remus rolled the words over in his brain. There was depth there, and there was depth behind the boy’s friendly light blue eyes, even if he made everything seem so obvious and clear and simple. “Your father definitely sounds like someone worth listening to,” was all he said.

“Oh, yeah.” Ted nodded. “He’s probably the smartest guy I know.” He hesitated, as if about to say something else, but apparently thought better and instead simply gave a quick wave and said, “Well, I really have to help my friends out in this battle thing. I’ll see you.” And with that, he jogged around the corner.

Remus didn’t know what had just hit him. That boy”the werewolf”had been unquestionably strange, but you couldn’t say that he didn’t have confidence. It was that quiet, plain sort of confidence, and Ted was definitely more gawky than cocky, but unlike any other werewolf Remus had ever known, he seemed more like a normal, easygoing kid than anything else.

Even more remarkably, Ted had made Remus feel ashamed for never having been one himself.

Ted had been brought up well. His father sounded like a remarkably grounded man”not to mention married and the father of perfectly well-adjusted offspring. “It is our choices that make us who we are, not our abilities…” He thought about this for a moment. Fenrir Greyback was, in essence, the same thing as him, but he’d chosen to use being a werewolf against the world. As for Remus… he’d chosen to use it against himself.

Our choices, not our abilities…

Remus would always be a werewolf, and he knew that wasn’t going to change. But he could decide for himself whether he wanted to be werewolf scum.

* * * * * *


Jordan felt like a coward, standing on the sidelines of the battle under the Invisibility Cloak and watching everything that was going on around him. But he realized he wasn’t there to fight. He was there to observe, to see what exactly Snape did and what his Uncle Ron did, and that was it.

They’d been there for about half an hour. Ted’s mother had already killed the elderly Death Eater called Nott--Charybdis’s grandfather, Jordan realized”and Emma, being resourceful, had taken his wand off of his dead body. Now armed with two weapons, she was dueling Amycus and Alecto Carrow at once.

Nearby, Tyrone was parrying spells against the massive Thorfinn Rowle, though he was making himself a bit vulnerable by constantly checking to see how Emma was faring in her fight. Jordan was in a mind to shake him and tell him to watch out, but he didn’t have to”Emma called across to him while deflecting a particularly nasty jinx of Amycus’s, “Tyrone, it’s great that you’re worried about me and all, but you’re making me worry about you. Pay attention, already!”

Tyrone opened his mouth to protest as Emma ducked a Stunning spell. Jordan almost smiled at his cousin, being as close to tender as she knew how. But Emma and Tyrone weren’t the only ones busy. Jordan’s parents, his Aunt Hermione, and Cecilia’s father were back to back fighting off Death Eaters from all directions, as Cecilia’s mother nonverbally summoned and snapped as many Death Eaters’ wands as she could.

Speaking of Cecilia, she raced past him, covering her head in her hands as if shielding herself from flying debris in a tornado. Her cheeks were pink and she was quite out of breath, her face grubby with dirt and her lip bleeding slightly.

As Jordan looked at her, a spell hit the girl squarely in the chest. He gasped. A full body bind… not a Death Curse… he felt himself let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding.

Cecilia collapsed to the floor, her body stiff and rigid as a board. Only her eyes could move, and they were wide and fearful. Jordan felt a pang of regret as he knelt down next to her, still invisible. Why had be brought her? She may have been bright, but she was only a third year, nowhere near ready to fight fully grown dark wizards. Of course, that had never been in the original plans, but at least everyone else he had brought with him was of age with the exception of Ted, who would be in less than a month.

He had promised, he realized, that Cecilia would be in the best of hands. He’d told her she wouldn’t be hurt. But here she was, lying on the ground, and he hadn’t done anything to protect her.

“Cecilia,” he whispered as quietly as possible into the girl’s ear. Her eyes darted even more frantically, searching for the source of the mysterious voice that had spoken to her out of nowhere.

“This is Jordan, under Haley’s Invisibility Cloak. I want you to play dead. I could lift the spell on you right now, but I think you’d be safer if you pretended you were already dead. I’m sorry you got attacked.” She didn’t say anything which made sense as her mouth was frozen, but Jordan knew she would listen to him. She was, after all, a very practical person.

Jordan straightened up, just in time to see a curse from Walden Macnair hit his Uncle Ron in the face. An angry gash ripped down his cheekbone, spattering blood everywhere. Ron let out a roar of pain and whipped around, stunning Macnair in retaliation… but to Jordan’s horror, he realized that in turning to face Macnair, Ron had turned his back on Antonin Dolohov, who was slowly creeping up behind him.

It happened in slow motion as Jordan tried to move quickly enough beneath the cloak to stop the Death Eater. Dolohov’s long, twisted face stretched into a wicked smirk as he drew out his wand and directed it at Ron. He opened his mouth and hissed “Ava””

Just then, a blur streaked past. Silly-looking blond ringlets flying behind him as his limbs raced erratically, Anatoly Capshaw knocked the wand out of the Death Eaters’ hand, paused for a thoughtful second, and punched the man in the nose.

Only once Dolohov was down did he Stun him.

Anatoly straightened his wire rim glasses and nonchalantly wiped the blood off of his fist. “Slytherin on Slytherin combat!” he announced to no one in particular. “Novel idea, don’t you th”” He broke off suddenly and crashed to the ground as a Stunning Spell hit him in the face.

Jordan stared out at the scene. Already, Cecilia and Anatoly were down on the ground”thankfully, both alive”and the girl who would be his mother seemed to be nursing a broken wrist. Neville Longbottom was limping, bruises blooming across his face, Ron was gushing blood from the cut on his face, and Ted’s nose looked to be bleeding. But on the whole, he reflected, it could be much, much worse, and he fervently hoped that the status quo wouldn’t change.

There were at least twice as many Death Eaters as there were of the… well, Jordan couldn’t help but think of them as the “Bright and Shiny Side,” as Anatoly had called them earlier. But there were also far more Death Eater casualties.

Death Eaters, he realized, would never do what Anatoly had dared and put themselves in danger to save another member of their side. They would never team up and fight together, would never try to save each other. They fought for glory, to receive recognition by their master, not to protect their ‘friends.’ That was their weakness. The edge that Jordan’s side had over the Death Eaters was that they worked together, and it made them stronger.

It was strange that Jordan, the one who enjoyed solitude more than anything else, the one who was standing apart from the battle under an Invisibility Cloak, was realizing the value of teamwork. But he hoped it didn’t give out. The good guys had won when he’d seen the battle in the Pensieve, but strange things happened when people meddled with time. He couldn’t be so sure anymore.

* * * * * *


On the far side of the battlefield, Haley was sitting on the ground, her lip trembling and her wide green eyes welling up with tears. Huddled in a ball with her jacket drawn around herself, she looked no more than twelve years old, and the sight of a miserable little girl was enough to make almost anyone stop in their tracks. In fact, someone did, although not exactly with the friendliest of intentions.

“Well, what’s this, then?” said a man’s harsh voice from behind her.

Haley looked up slowly to see a tall, muscular Death Eater, his eyes suspicious slits behind his mask. “Are you good, mister?” she asked in a soft whisper of a voice, quivering slightly.

“Uh… yeah… sure, kid.” The Death Eater shifted uneasily. “What are you doin’ here?”

Haley hiccupped, hugging her knees. “Well, my big brother was going with his friends to Godrics’ Hollow, ‘cos they wanted to see Harry Potter’s old house, only Mummy said I had to come along, too, because I have a Girl Guides meeting at seven, and we got here, and then the bad men got here, and then my big brother disappeared and I have to go to Girl Guides, and I can’t find him!” She wiped her runny nose on the sleeve of her jacket as fat tears splashed down her face. “What if he’s dead?” she whimpered.

The Death Eater looked even more uncomfortable. “Look, who are you, kid?” he asked. It was the second time he’d called her ‘kid’ in about as many minutes. Haley was keeping score.

“I’m Haley, and I’m eleven and three whole quarters.” She beamed up at the man through her tears.

The man, who seemed to be a new recruit to the Death Eaters, scratched the back of his neck and muttered, “Er, I’m Jeremy Corking, and er””

“You know what?” said Haley, her tone suddenly weirdly bright as she got to her feet. She looked Jeremy Corking straight in the eye, and there was much more than innocence shining in those eerily yellow-green eyes of hers. “I really, really hate the name Jeremy.”

And without warning, she kicked the man hard in the shins, sending him sprawling back onto the ground and freezing him with the Immobilus spell.

She curtseyed to the Death Eaters’ prone form. “Thanks,” she said. “That was a really great acting exercise you helped me with there. Oh, by the way”I’m seventeen. And just because I’m little and adorable doesn’t mean you should let your guard down, Jeremy, not that I’m complaining or anything. Toodles!” And she ran back into the square to find a new victim.

Jordan blinked under his Invisibility Cloak. It was not often that he got to see Haley in combat, but he’d cottoned onto the fact that he was surprised far too often by her skill. What was it about her that made her so easy to underestimate? At least she knew how to use that quality to her advantage.

As she raced over to duel with another Death Eater, her brother reflected that Haley really was in her element here. Her boundless energy made her quick and impossible to catch. Even her ADHD was an aide on the battlefield; she was unpredictable, never settling into a routine.

But it wasn’t just that she was skilled at fighting. Emma was a better dueler, and Ivy had a much broader grasp of magic. Jordan was infinitely smarter, Ted was better at observing and anticipating his opponents’ dueling style, and Tyrone was more graceful and indefatigable. But Haley had… it was bravery, Jordan had to admit. Incredible bravery that was all too easy to overlook in everyday life.

His thoughts were interrupted as he aimlessly reached up to scratch his nose and suddenly realized that he could see his hand perfectly well. But… how… why wasn’t the Invisibility Cloak…

“Would you look at this,” said a quiet, sneering voice from behind him.

Jordan whipped around and stared up into the pale, pockmarked face of Augustus Rookwood, who was pointing a wand directly into Jordan’s face and clutching the wadded up Invisibility Cloak in the other hand.

“I saw your hair and I almost thought you were Potter from behind… but he’d never be cowardly enough to hide under an Invisibility Cloak during battle,” said Rookwood, baring his yellowed teeth in a crude imitation of a smile.

Jordan said nothing. He didn’t have time to, because Rookwood hissed, “Cruc--

“Expelliarmus.”

Rookwood’s head snapped around to see a small girl walking nonchalantly toward him, light glinting off of the sparkles and rhinestones decorating her denim jacket. She was… smiling as she twirled the wand between her fingers, and it wasn’t an unpleasant smile, either. She looked friendly and perky, which had to be a bad sign.

“Sorry, it’s just such a pretty wand, and I had to take it,” chirped Haley. She stopped in her tracks and looked up into the astonished face of Rookwood with her big, childish yes. “Hi, Mr. Pizza Face! Nice day, isn’t it?”

Rookwood snarled and lurched toward her, not as blinded by the cuteness as Jeremy Corking had been. This was probably because Haley hadn’t had the bright idea of insulting Corking’s complexion.

Haley did an odd sort of curtsey, and without warning, began skipping toward the ruined house that would belong to Giorgi Anderson’s family in twenty years. What on earth was she doing, trying to get a Death Eater mad? And what would she do once she got to the house?

Jordan blinked, not believing his own eyes, as the answer became apparent. An ancient, rusty ladder leaned against the side of the building, leading up to a flat roof. Without even a moment of hesitation, Haley grabbed the ladder with both fists and began to scamper up to the roof.

It was completely insane. Everyone knew, as plainly as the fact that Haley couldn’t stand it when people raised one eyebrow, that she was terrified to death of heights. Unlike the rest of her Quidditch-loving family, she couldn’t even bear to fly a broomstick more than a few feet off the ground, and even then, she had to squish her eyes tight shut”so the resulting crashes made her even less fond of flying.

But now, she was over halfway up that rickety old ladder, her sights determinedly fixed upon the roof. Did she think this was a surefire way of escaping from Rookwood? Because if she did, it wasn’t working. After tracing her trajectory for a moment, the Death Eater seized the sides of the ladder and started up it after her.

Jordan stared in horror. All around the battlefield, people on both sides were stopping to watch Rookwood chase Haley up onto the roof of the house. But what would happen once they were both on the roof? How would Haley get down? He couldn’t be the only one wondering this, because all around him, people were pointing and shouting, though Jordan only heard a dull mumble that roared incomprehensibly through his ears.

Haley and Rookwood were both standing on the roof now, facing one another. It was impossible to read Haley’s face from so far away as she began edging backward across the roof, Rookwood still pursuing her.

Jordan’s jaw was clenched and his face had gone greenish-white. Before his very eyes, he saw Haley backed up against the edge of the roof, dangerously close to toppling off.

She was trapped.

His grin visible from the ground, Rookwood reached out one hand lazily and snatched back his wand, pointing it straight at Haley’s throat. There was nothing she could do.

But she did something anyway. Despite the fact that there was nothing behind her but thin air, Haley took one more step backward, off the edge of the roof.

She screamed wildly, clawing the air… and then, with a terrible ‘crunch,’ she was silent.
Chapter 22: In Which Our Heroes Suffer Boo-Boos by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
This is a weird, very short, and very overdramatic chapter. It'd be better read in context, since this is only the first half of a much longer 22 that had to be chopped in half to make the word limit fit. I promise more cool stuff happens later.

Haley plummeted toward the ground like a penguin attempting flight. Disoriented by this sudden move, Rookwood too lunged forward and plunged from the roof. He hurtled to the ground, screaming and scrabbling at thin air, until he landed with a horrible crunch amid the overgrown bushes.

But Haley didn’t.

Jordan gaped as she came abruptly to a halt in midair, bobbing gently up and down as though suspended from the sky. She beamed, looking outrageously calm and confident. “Bungee beans!” she shouted, brandishing a box of the brightly-coloured confections, “From Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes!” She swallowed and drifted gently to the ground, landing as light as a feather. “Jump from distances of up to a hundred feet with no ill effects,” she said with a smile. “For the ridiculously brave only.”

She bent over the bushes where Rookwood’s motionless body lay spread-eagled, and came back with his wand and her own Invisibility Cloak. “Take better care of my stuff, will you?” she said, stuffing the cloak back into her twin’s hands. “If Pizza Face got away with that, I’d go spare. Anyway, I checked on him, and he’s unconscious”probably got a concussion or something”but he’s alive, ‘cos those those bushes broke his fall. Probably his arm, too. It looks like somebody French-braided his bones.”

Jordan was speechless, but that was okay, because his sister was talking enough for the both of them. At last, he managed, “Weren’t you scared?”

Haley raised her eyebrows incredulously. “Are you kidding? I was totally freaked out. I hate heights. What do you think?”

“What did you do that for, then?” asked Jordan, still looking quite shell-shocked.

Haley grinned. “Because you’re my baby brother, duh!” she chirped and gave him a little kiss on the cheek and a ruffle of the hair before pulling the Invisibility Cloak over his head again. “But don’t get caught and make me do that again, okay?” she called behind her. “I don’t think anyone will fall for that trick a second time.”

As she turned to go, Jordan blurted, “Er… Haley?”

Haley whirled around. “What is it now, you goofball?”

Jordan sighed deeply. “Listen, er, Haley… if you hadn’t had those Bungee Beans with you… would you have still, erm, gone through with that? Off the roof, that is?”

Haley screwed up her face in thought, staring at a point faraway in mid air. At last, she said quietly, “Yes.”

Jordan felt his insides tie themselves in complicated knots. He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could embarrass himself by saying something horribly awkward, Haley skipped away, twirling her own wand and singing to herself as she stuck Rookwood’s inside one of the many compartments of her Pockety Jacket.

For the ridiculously brave only… Jordan shook his head. For once in his life, he didn’t feel like the more talented twin.

* * * * * *


Ivy had been fighting with Lucius Malfoy since nearly the beginning of the battle. It seemed like their duel had been going on since forever, but she still couldn’t get over the strangeness of the situation.

The year was 1998. She would be born in six years, and the man she was now fighting would be one of the first to proudly hold his tiny baby granddaughter. He would love her and send her expensive gifts. She even vaguely remembered him, though he had died when she was three years old. She had called him Granddaddy.

“Stupe””

“Protego!”

Ivy always fought defensively. She rarely tried to actively attack anyone unless she had to, focusing instead on protecting herself. But she was extremely good at it, and it was infinitely more effective than haphazardly firing curses everywhere.

But even as he attacked her, Malfoy’s eyes traveled across her face, his brows knitting together in confusion. Ivy was sure he could see himself in her”after all, the resemblance was too great for Lucius to miss. The sleek white blonde hair, the pale complexion, the light grey eyes, the pointed features and angular physiques… the two of them were uncannily similar… at least, physically.

“I’m your granddaughter,” Ivy said quietly, then realizing that Lucius’s only child was her own age back in 1998, she added, “From twenty-three years in the future.”

“You are speaking nonsense,” snorted Lucius, not missing a beat and sending another spell her way, which she promptly deflected.

“You like runny eggs and burnt toast like your old house elf used to make when you were small, but you never admit it outside the family,” said Ivy calmly, blocking yet another spell. “You’ve been terrified of Hippogriffs ever since you went to see the circus when you were four, and you can’t stand the sight of them. You love to dance, and you hate clutter. And if Draco has a daughter someday, she’s going to inherit your great-grandmother Aethonia’s diamond necklace and Narcissa’s mother’s silver tiara.”

Lucius stared at her. “How do you know that?” he hissed.

Ivy’s face was calm. “I’m your granddaughter,” she repeated.

“That’s ridiculous!” Lucius had forgotten to keep fighting now. He was simply standing there looking rather stupid, with his wand arm limp by his side and his mouth slightly agape. “If you were, you’d have no reason to fight against me!”

“But, I do,” Ivy told him in a small, hard voice. Anyone who knew Ivy knew that that voice was bad news”it was the voice she used when she had no intention of backing down anytime soon. “I’m in Gryffindor. Harry Potter adopted me. My boyfriend is a werewolf. I””

“Do not mock my family!” spat Lucius, his eyes narrowing. “And Harry Potter will certainly never adopt anyone, because he’s going to die today.

“Really?” Ivy said politely. “I came back in time to see him defeat Voldemort.”

“You dare””

“I’m sorry I told you I’m your granddaughter,” said Ivy. “I promised I wouldn’t tell anyone. My brother won’t be happy.” Pink blotches were appearing on Lucius’s cheeks, remarkably like those so often seen on Ivy’s own.

“Is this some sort of joke?” he demanded.

“No,” said Ivy, “But I wish it was.”

“What do you mean?” snarled Lucius. “The Malfoys have all dedicated their lives to preserving the old wizarding traditions! All of these years, not a single blood traitor””

“Except for me,” Ivy cut him off, and her voice was so low, it was barely audible, but it was harder than granite.

Lucius Malfoy seemed to have realized all of a sudden that people were battling all around him, because he suddenly jolted back to life. But his face was no longer contorted with anger as it had been only moments before. Instead, he looked horribly, hideously cool and collected. He raised his wand. “Crucio,” he said in a flat, detached voice.

Ivy didn’t block this spell. Before she could react, it hit her, knocking her flat onto her back. She felt the white-hot pain beyond imagining surge through every inch of her, curling through her insides, searing her skin, coursing through her veins, and bending her bones. She scarcely recognized the screams that filled the air as her own.

As before, her pain-distorted brain cried out, only one thought remaining in her mind, playing over and over and over again like a soundtrack to her torture. But this time, the thought wasn’t she wanted this to end. She’d endured the Cruciatus Curse before, and she knew there was nothing she could do to guarantee that it wouldn’t happen again. No, her one thought was that this was the second time she’d been tortured by a member of her biological family for standing up for herself. She had learned years before that standing up for herself and pain didn’t have to go hand-in-hand. Now she was a full-grown witch, and she knew that the Cruciatus Curse couldn’t break her spirit this time. There was no way she was going to turn back into the shy little shell of a person she’d been after her first exposure to the horrible curse.

But then, that was taking for granted that she would survive this round of torture. It didn’t matter how secure she was in herself”that wouldn’t stop every fibre of her body from feeling like she was tearing apart. She felt herself trashing and writhing uncontrollably on the ground like a possessed woman, everything blurry through a haze of pain.

And then, as suddenly as it had begun, it was over, and Lucius Malfoy was standing over her, breathing heavily. His eyes were wide with fear, and Ivy knew that he was already regretting what he had done. He was a Malfoy, and obsessed with tradition and blood purity… but all of these were just accessories to his tremendous family pride. He cared for his family more than anything else, would unquestionably and unconditionally love the granddaughter placed in his arms in six years. But this seventeen-year-old girl who claimed to be his granddaughter from the future… he’d had no proof. If she wasn’t a Malfoy, there was nothing at all wrong with putting a Muggle-lover in her place the way he saw it. But if she really had been speaking the truth…

“It doesn’t matter who I am,” whispered Ivy. “You know I’m part of someone’s family.” A dull ache spread through her right leg, which was bent at a strange angle, and she realized that it had to be broken.

Lucius said nothing, but his face was whiter than Ivy’s, and he fled without a single glance back. Apparently, thinking about what he had done was too much for his brain.

Ivy lay back on the ground, feeling exhausted and weak. But, she realized as she listened to her heart pounding in her ears, that she felt much stronger than she had in awhile.

“IVY! IVY!”

It took her a moment to realize that these shouts had blended in with her own cries of pain, had continued since the beginning of her torture. A very familiar shape was running toward her, like a scarecrow impersonating a windmill.

She smiled. She knew that ungainly run, that long and narrow silhouette, and as he drew nearer, she knew that earnest, tired-looking face and those big light blue eyes. But the most familiar thing, the thing she’d recognized before she’d seen him at all was his concerned voice.

Ted squatted down next to her. “Ivy?” he said softly, and his breath was warm on her face.

“I’m…okay,” she replied. “Tired. And my leg has to be broken. But I’ll manage.”

Up close, Ted’s hair was damp and sweaty, clinging to his forehead. She could see the mauled and shredded mess of his right temple through it, the disfiguring souvenir of that werewolf attack over two years before. His nose was bleeding, his t-shirt was torn, he was missing a sneaker, and the palms of his hands were scraped and raw. She wondered how many Death Eaters he’d fought on the way toward her.

“Don’t stand up,” Ted instructed. “Here, I’ll carry you behind that house over there.”

Ivy didn’t protest as he scooped her up, making sure not to touch her injured leg. It wasn’t like the fairy tales where strong, handsome Prince Charming effortlessly carried the beautiful princess away from danger. Ted may have been many wonderful things, but ‘athletic’ was not one of them, and Ivy could tell that she wasn’t easy for him to manage. He nearly dropped her at least four times.

But he was so warm, and it was comforting to hear the steady beat of his heart as she lay against his bony chest. Although he smelled sweaty, he smelled like Ted, reassuring and safe.

“Sorry I’m so heavy,” she said apologetically.

Ted gave her his sheepish, lopsided grin. “You are definitely not heavy,” he assured her. “I’m just so out of shape, I can’t carry anything much bigger than a sandwich, and that’s without the lettuce and tomato.” He set her down behind the house and flopped down next to her. “Not that I ever was in shape, unless you count spaghetti-noodle shaped.”

He brushed Ivy’s fringe out of her face. “I owed it to you, though. Remember last year, you carried me and Arden up and down that ladder at the zoo when we were both wolves and couldn’t climb it? I could tell that wasn’t fun for you.”

Ivy squeezed his hand. “Well, thank you. I feel a lot better now.”

Ted’s friendly face looked disturbed. “Ivy,” he said, and his tone was as serious as she’d ever heard it, “You know I hate it so much when you’re not happy. But, I mean, this was the Cruciatus Curse… I couldn’t stop it, and… it was sick. I’m… really sorry.” He looked sick as he said this, and Ivy knew that not being able to help must have been almost as much torture for him as it had been for her. Ted seemed to have Ivy’s father’s Saving People Disorder”this was the boy who would willingly jump in front of the worst of attackers just to keep those he cared about out of harm’s way.

“Now you know how it was for me to watch when you got bitten,” Ivy said softly. She looked up into Ted’s face, and she found herself blurting out something she’d never planned to reveal to anyone. “That wasn’t the first time I had to deal with the Cruciatus Curse, though.”

Ted looked as though she’d just told him that she regularly ate chimpanzee sandwiches. “What?” he squawked, sounding fourteen years old again. Ivy almost smiled at the memories, then remembered the much darker ones she was discussing.

“When I was nine, my mo”Pansy Malfoy, I mean”she did it because I said it was stupid to hate Muggles,” she said, her voice so quiet that it hardly sounded like a voice at all. “She made me promise I’d never say anything like that again, or I’d get the Cruciatus Curse.”

Ted said nothing. There was nothing he could say to something as shocking and horrific as what Ivy had just told him. So instead, he hugged Ivy, letting her absorb his warmth in the hope that they’d both stop shivering, even though it had nothing to do with the cold at all.

After several quiet moments, Ted broke the silence. “But Ivy, there’s a law and stuff that says using an Unforgiveable Curse on another person gets you life in Azkaban. Why don’t you report her?”

Ivy didn’t answer straight away. At last, she said, “I guess… I’m not her daughter anymore, I know that. But she was still my mother, at least once, and I feel like I can’t turn her in for something she did such a long time ago. I probably won’t ever see her again anyway. I’m past all that now.”

Ted opened his mouth to speak, but whatever he was going to say, Ivy never got to hear. Because just then from behind them, a man’s voice said slowly, “Well, well, what have we here?”

* * * * * *


Emma was a force to be reckoned with, fighting double-wanded and fending off both Carrow siblings at once. She was fast, and she was furious, and most importantly, she was ambidextrous.

She was, however, slightly distracted from her duel when she saw a young man in Death Eater robes peer cautiously from behind a nearby house, his pointed face porcelain pale and his white-blond hair disheveled. She recognized the young Draco Malfoy in a heartbeat. But that didn’t concern her. She’d faced an adult Malfoy at the age of fifteen and had come off the better. What concerned her was the dark blur streaking past her like a rogue tornado.

“You!” shouted Tyrone, whipping out his wand and pointing it straight at Draco Malfoy. He moved slowly and menacingly toward him, a vein standing out in his forehead.

Emma was still fighting, but her concentration was no longer in it. Earlier, she’d told Tyrone to pay attention to his own fight, not to her, and now she’d forgotten her own advice.

Tyrone, though, didn’t even glance in her direction. He was facing Malfoy, his face twisted with hate. It was strange how different he looked from the lazy, playfully cocky boy Emma was used to. This Tyrone didn’t look like someone who would wear t-shirts that said things like “DO YOU HAVE THE MIRROR OF ERISED IN YOUR POCKET, BECAUSE I CAN SEE MY HEART’S DESIRE IN YOUR PANTS,” or someone who would charm his skimpy mustache electric blue, or someone who would do crazy tricks on a broomstick after midnight. For the first time, Emma realized how very big he was, how formidable he could look when he wanted to.

“Hello,” he said quietly, and his deep voice was not silky-smooth as usual. It was harsh and dangerous. “My name is Tyrone Thomas. You killed my mother. Prepare to die.”

Emma did not laugh. She watched young Draco blink confusedly, clearly having never killed anyone in his life. Tyrone’s favourite movie was The Princess Bride, and he took it seriously. Other people would have thought Inigo Montoya’s vow to avenge his father’s death at the hand of a six-fingered man was funny. Tyrone saw it as inspiration.

He was drawing his wand, his lips were moving, his eyes harder and colder than Emma had ever seen them.

“You don’t have three arms,” said a low voice from behind her.

Emma’s head whipped around to see a tall woman with long black hair and a cruel, hollowed-looking face. Her heavy-lidded eyes gleamed with vindictive pleasure, anger, and something very much like insanity.

“Even you can’t duel three people at once,” said Bellatrix Lestrange.

Alecto Carrow looked up angrily. “She’s mine, Bellatrix.”

“Oh yes,” replied Bellatrix, laughing, “Because you have clearly done such a wonderful job of killing her already.” Even Emma had to admit that this was a fairly snappy retort. “Why don’t we take a leaf out of the book of these blood traitors’ book and work together.”

Emma wanted desperately to curse her, but infuriating as it was, Bellatrix was right. She didn’t have three arms. If she tried to hex Bellatrix, she’d be leaving herself vulnerable attack from one of the other two sides.

She wished… no, she didn’t wish she had help, she told herself quickly with a glance over toward Tyrone, still locked in combat against a thoroughly terrified-looking Draco Malfoy. It always made her sick when some Noble Prince came to the rescue when the Damsel In Distress was totally capable of saving herself.

She’d seen Ted carrying Ivy across the battlefield, probably trying to be Chivalrous and Gallant, but just looking completely stupid and practically dropping Ivy on her head. She hoped they knew just how idiotic they’d looked.

No, what Emma wished was that she had three arms, plain and simple, but she didn’t. All she could do was try her best and fight harder.

Bellatrix laughed wildly. “Two wands at once,” she said softly. “You are exactly like her.”

“Who?” Emma grunted, dodging two spells at once. It was rather like playing Twister. Thank you Ted and your stupid Christmas present, she thought.

And speaking of Twister, Bellatrix’s thin lips spread into a twisted smile. “Someone I destroyed.”

“Yeah, I figured it was probably something like that,” Emma said, wishing a dragon would swoop down out of the sky and incinerate Bellatrix. She was making it very difficult to concentrate. Sweat was pouring down her face, and her clothes were sticking uncomfortably to her skin, but she couldn’t let her guard down, not for one second.

Unfortunately, Bellatrix still seemed to be in a chatty mood. “Such a pretty girl,” she continued in a dangerously sweet voice. “Brimming with confidence, trying to impress her boyfriend…”

“I am not trying to impress anyone!” snapped Emma.

Bellatrix laughed again, this time maniacally. “Oh, does she have a secwet fancy?” she asked in a horrible high-pitched baby voice. “How sweet.”

Emma gritted her teeth and gripped her wand tighter than ever. If Bellatrix were someone at school, Emma would have already received at least five detentions for doing various horrible things to her, but as long as she was just talking, the important thing was to defend herself from the Carrows.

“You are just like Alice Longbottom,” Bellatrix crowed, dropping the baby voice. “Let’s see how the pretty girl likes this!”

Emma heard a bang and felt a beam of light hit her from behind and braced herself for the impact of the ground. But it never came. Bellatrix cackled hysterically, as Emma squinted in confusion. She felt fine… but something was wrong. She turned her head back and forth… something was definitely wrong. But what was it?”

Suddenly, it dawned on her. She reached slowly up to her head andvfelt it, and in a blaze of terrible shock, she knew what it was.

Her hair, her beautiful long, wavy, auburn hair was gone. All of it. She felt a strange choked noise escape from her mouth as she back of her throat constricting. What kind of a dumb spell was that, anyway? What kind of loony would leave victims totally intact except for their hair?

She’d never admit it to anyone, but she’d always been immensely proud of her hair, and though she knew it sounded vain, she’d taken compliments for granted, always known that most people considered her to be very pretty. She didn’t even want to know what she looked like without her hair, but she was sure that however she looked, it was certainly a far cry from ‘pretty.’

She hadn’t been paying attention to her surroundings, so distracted was she by the incomprehensible, awful notion that she no longer had any hair. Before she could even register what was happening, curses hit her from all three sides.

Emma yelled something very rude as she hurtled through the air and slammed against a wall twenty feet away with enough force to make her teeth rattle. She slid down the wall and onto the ground, aching all over, but especially on her left side. It tingled in a strange, numb sort of way, and she knew her leg had to be at least as broken as Ivy’s after that impact”and most likely her arm, as well. But before she had a chance to examine her own injuries, something quite astonishing happened.

Bellatrix, still laughing, was holding two wands as Emma had, and she was slowly approaching Neville and Luna, who had just successfully Stunned a Death Eater. Emma felt a thrill of horror run up her numb arm. Bellatrix had broken her and discarded her like a little girl’s toy and was moving onto something fresh and exciting. It was sick.

Bellatrix was giggling the chirpy little giggle of one who was hopelessly criminally insane. “Back in battle, Longbottom?” she said in her low, cool voice. “Like the Cruciatus Curse and come back for a taste of more? They say ignorance is bliss. Do you want to live happily ever after at St. Mungo’s with your mummy and daddy?”

You’re making fun of insane people? Emma thought furiously. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You’re as nutty as they come.

She looked at the young, round face of the boy who would one day become Professor Longbottom and saw that his eyebrows were contracted and his lips pressed in determination. His face was bright red, and he looked as though he’d like nothing better than to punch Bellatrix in the mouth, but there was not a trace of fear in his expression.

“Oh, that’s a really awful thing to say,” said Luna, her vague expression coming as close to anger as it probably ever had. She was another person who couldn’t exactly talk about madness without speaking from experience, but she wore an expression of serene defiance as she took Neville’s chubby hand in her small, pale one.

Bellatrix cackled again. “Oh, the little girlfriend. Well, isn’t this familiar? The boy and girl always fight together before I destroy them. It doesn’t do any good. Your parents still don’t recognize each other.”

“Shut up,” said Neville quietly.

“What, aren’t you proud of your parents? Don’t you want to be told when you’re lying in St. Mungo’s that you drool like your daddy and you have your mummy’s vacant stare?”

“I will kill you,” said Neville in the same quiet voice.

Emma couldn’t stop staring at the boy. She knew Professor Longbottom as a cheerful, slightly dorky man who wheeled around calmly in his wheelchair, often forgetting little details like the day of the week or once (according to Emma’s not-entirely-reliable cousin Edwin) his trousers. Professor Longbottom would never say anything like that.

But a boy facing the evil woman who had taken his parents away and left him with two empty shells could.

“That is adorable,” said Bellatrix, “But I believe you have it backwards.”

It all happened in a flash. A green flash. She drew both wands, carelessly pointed them somewhere in the vicinity of where Neville and Luna were standing, and shrieked, “Avada Kedavra!”

And somehow, in the split second before the spell made its impact, Neville and Luna jumped in front of one another, ending up exactly where they had been before.

ZAMMM.

The spell illuminated the sky and ricocheted off its targets, hitting Bellatrix squarely in the chest. She fell to the ground in a lifeless, crumpled heap, a gleefully deranged smile still on her lips.

Neville and Luna lay on the ground beside her, their chests rising and falling with shock.

“I’m alive!” gasped Neville.

“Am I?” asked Luna. She didn’t sound like she was joking.

“You, er, look alive to me,” Neville replied cautiously.

“Oh.” Luna nodded. “You see, I couldn’t tell. Everything’s gone black.”

Neville’s head snapped around and he stared at her. Her previously round, silvery eyes were milky white, like twin full moons. “Luna!” he cried. He tried to stand up, but couldn’t even budge and inch. “My legs… why won’t they work?”

Luna did not look particularly shocked. “I expect the Killing Curse bounced off your legs and my eyes and hit Bellatrix Lestrange. Something like that once happened to Harry, you know, only it was his forehead.” She paused. “I’m going to really miss colours.”

“But… but why can’t I stand up?”

“I think the Killing Curse just killed the part it hit,” replied Luna. “But you don’t think it’s nice that we saved each other?”

Neville gave her a nervous smile. “Er… yeah, but, er, Luna…”

Emma stopped listening to the conversation, feeling like an indecent intruder. So this was how it had happened. She couldn’t believe it. Neville and Luna had sacrificed themselves for each other and both lived to tell the tale? Only they never did tell the tale. They kept it completely to themselves.

It was bizarre. Such a thing had only happened once before, when Lily Potter sacrificed herself for her son, and everyone knew about that. Why wasn’t Neville and Luna’s amazing escape from death not just as well-publicized? Everyone knew that Harry Potter had defeated Voldemort in the final battle, and that Neville been paralyzed and Luna blinded. But nobody but those who had been there knew just how it had happened, or who had defeated Voldemort’s chief lieutenant, Bellatrix Lestrange.

Realizing that the Carrows would probably come back to finish her off before long, Emma tried to climb to her feet and test her weight on her injured leg. But for some reason, it wasn’t working at all. She tried again, with still no result. Having just seen Neville do something very similar, she felt dread curling in her stomach.

She tried to raise her arm to feel her leg, but her arm wouldn’t cooperate.

She couldn’t move.
End Notes:
If you're weirded out about the random appearance of Bungee Beans... they're in chapter two. Reread it now if you don't believe me. ;-)
Chapter 23: In Which All's Fair In Love And War by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
I don't own Harry Potter or The Princess Bride.

Across the field, Draco Malfoy crashed to the ground, but Tyrone didn’t react. He thundered across the battlefield, looking for all the world like a madman freshly escaped from St. Mungo’s. He vaulted over Rookwood’s motionless form and kicked Bellatrix’s body out of the way without even looking down. It would have been almost funny had the situation been any less serious.

Speaking of serious, it was strange how the usually lazy, laid-back Tyrone could be so intense. His face was frozen and set, but his eyes were blazing with just as much ferocity as Emma’s ever had.

It suddenly struck Emma that he wasn’t stampeding like a manic rhinoceros just for fun. He was rapidly making his way straight toward her. She tried to make herself as inconspicuous as possible, but only the right side of her body could move at all. Bellatrix’s curse had evidently done more than just smash her up against the wall. She couldn’t eve feel her left side.

She couldn’t be seen like this, weak and defeated and utterly terrified and, most importantly, bald. She couldn’t stand the idea of Tyrone looking at her with pity and revulsion, trying to be polite but unable to hide his disgust. It would be awkward and embarrassing, and it would make everything she was feeling ten times worse.

Because she knew Tyrone, and she knew that he was a flatterer and a hopeless romantic, two traits that were hard enough to stomach even when nothing was wrong. He would try to fool her”and probably himself”into thinking that he still liked her, even in her state.

“EMMA!” he yelled, and swore incredibly loudly. “GET OUT OF MY WAY!” he yelled, shoving Harry Potter into a wall in his quest to reach Emma. Emma almost smiled. He was always so loud and dramatic. “What happened to you?” Tyrone said softly, kneeling down on the ground and touching Emma’s face. “Your hair…”

“Leave me alone.”

Tyrone’s expression didn’t change. “If you think I’m really going to leave you alone like this, you’re crazy,” he said. He stared at her without taking his eyes away. Like someone looking at a train wreck, thought Emma.

“What, do you think I can’t take care of myself?” snapped Emma.

“Er, honestly, yeah I do,” said Tyrone. There were tears in his eyes, and it was creepy. “You can’t walk, Emma.”

Emma couldn’t look back at him. It was like looking into the sun. Except looking into the sun made Emma sneeze, and that was one of the few unpleasant sensations she didn’t feel at the moment. “Yeah, I noticed that part, actually,” she said weakly.

But Tyrone sat behind her, encircling her with his arms and supporting her. It was hard not to notice how comfortable it was, even if he smelled revolting and he clearly had no idea where to put his hands.

This was all wrong. There was something horrible about being touched by Tyrone Thomas when she looked so disgusting and pathetic. Emma wanted to escape, but she couldn’t manage it with only one side of her stupid body working.

“Tyrone,” she said, her voice sounding as strange as she felt. “Don’t worry about me, okay? I… it’s not that I’m mad at you. I’m not. It’s just, I can deal with this myself. Stop looking at me. Please.” She tried to get up again, but nothing happened. She gritted her teeth, hating her body’s stubborn wish to embarrass her. “Soon as we get back to the right time, I’ll go to St. Mungo’s and they’ll reverse the spell, no problem. This isn’t a big deal.”

“Too bad,” Tyrone told her matter-of-factly. “I’m sticking around, Em. I’ll help you walk, and if you get too tired, I can carry you.”

Emma snorted. “Oh, please. Did you see Ted do that, trying to be all chivalrous? Guys love to feel like girls need them. Ted looked like an idiot, and Ivy’s way smaller than me.”

Tyrone looked affronted. “Yeah, but that’s Ted. Come on, you know I’m a lot stronger than him. I’d never drop you.” He flexed his biceps in that trying-to-look-subtle way that he was so famous for failing at. But the expression in his eyes was disconcertingly serious, and he was still holding onto Emma’s shoulders. His hands were strong and broad, the undersides a surprising light pink. They reminded her of starfish clinging to a rock.

“Look, why are you even bothering?” blurted Emma. “You don’t need to pretend like I’m the same old Emma. I know as well as you do how I look. I’m just trying to make this easier for you.”

“It’s kind of vain to think people would like you just ‘cos of how you look, isn’t it?” said Tyrone. Emma didn’t say anything, mainly because she was so shocked that Tyrone of all people was talking about vanity. He spent as much time watching himself in the mirror as some people did watching television.

“Come on, Em, you know me. And besides, it’s not that bad. I mean, my dad’s bald, so chances are I will be, too”and there’s no way I’m letting that get me down. Don’t you think I’d look just as gorgeous without my hair?”

He was babbling now, but Emma didn’t mind. “Yeah… especially the hair over your lip,” she managed. Why did Tyrone always make her feel so comfortable and so awkward all at once?

“Hey, that’s just cold. I’m trying to be mature here. But anyway, it’s just hair. It’ll grow back soon enough.”

“Not mine,” said Emma gloomily, feeling tears begin to prickle ominously in her eyes. She couldn’t believe she was getting all worked up over something as trivial as hair, especially when that particular problem was eclipsed by the much bigger ones of partial paralysis and homicidal Death Eaters. “It was cursed off. It’s gone for good.”

“Oh.” Tyrone was silent for a moment, then prattled on. “Then… well, at least you’ll never have to worry about, you know, bad hair days or anything. Besides, girls are weird. You’re all so crazy about getting rid of all hair”and in your case, my hair”except for the bits on their heads and their eyelashes. It’s a time saver this way, right?”

Emma peered closely at him. “You are so acting like Ted,” she said. “Don’t tell me he gave you tips on how to get a girl? Look at you, you might as well be Mr. Sunny-Side-Up Optimist himself.”

“But stronger,” Tyrone made certain to add. “And cuter. Well, except for on full moons, I have to admit Ted wins then.” He looked at Emma with such intensity that it made her eyeballs ache. “For the record, I still think you’re the third best-looking girl I’ve ever seen.”

“What, only third?” Emma said sarcastically, feeling the corners of her mouth twitching.

“After my mum and Robin Wright Penn in The Princess Bride,” explained Tyrone. “Anyway, nothing’s gonna change… well, as long as you’ve still got…” he gestured vaguely toward the region of her chest. Emma rolled her eyes, but she didn’t bother smacking Tyrone in the face as she normally would. She knew him well enough to know that he wasn’t serious… well, not entirely serious, anyway.

He ran a hand across Emma’s head, and the feel of his smooth skin against her bare scalp was strange and embarrassing and sent shivers down her spine. “I’m not gonna lie, Emma, this is going to take a lot of getting used to. It’s still kind of creeping me out. But I’ll get used to it. And it could be worse.”

“How?” exploded Emma.

“Well, for starters, you could be dead!” shouted Tyrone. It was such an abrupt shift in mood that Emma almost jumped.

“Easy for you to say.”

“Not really,” Tyrone said roughly. “In case you forgot, Malfoy murdered my mum. It’s not fun when people you care about die, get it? If you died, I’d kill you!”

“Your logic seems slightly flawed there,” Emma told him, trying to ignore the emotion in his voice. “Anyway, I get what you’re saying, my looks aren’t important, blah blah blah. But last year, you said you liked me because I was all strong and unstoppable, right? Well, guess what? I’m weak. And it looks an awful lot like Bellatrix Lestrange stopped me.” She looked down at the ground, playing with a pebble. “And… what if… what if I’m wrong? What if they can’t fix my arm and my leg with magic and I’m stuck like this forever? Personally, I’d rather she did me in than make me spend the rest of my life being a useless, pathetic cripple.”

“What, like Professor Longbottom?” shot back Tyrone.

Emma gaped. “No, of course I didn’t””

“Just ‘cause you can’t stand up doesn’t mean you’re weak,” said Tyrone. “Look at Westley from ‘The Princess Bride.’ He couldn’t walk, but he still stormed the castle, and””

‘The Princess Bride’ isn’t the Bible,” spat Emma.

Tyrone looked genuinely hurt, his face flushing an odd greenish-lilac. “I never said it was,” he mumbled.

“Yeah, but I don’t think you’re getting the fact that it’s all made up. This is real life. And if they can’t fix me, then I… I can’t do basically anything. I mean, all the stuff you used to like to do with me… I can’t dance with you. I can’t sneak around after curfew. And forget Quidditch”I was supposed to be captain next year, too. Now I can never play again!”

She remembered how she’d laughed at Jordan’s dramatic I-can-never-play-Quidditch again speech. Now she knew how he felt, and there was nothing funny about it.

“It’s like I said before,” Tyrone told her calmly. “You’d just have to get used to it. Quidditch is all sitting. Once you work out balancing right, you’ll be okay. And I already know you can fly one-handed, remember?”

Emma certainly remembered. How could she forget that first time they’d ridden brooms at midnight, held hands as a ‘teamwork test.’ It had been extremely fun, and even more amusingly, Jordan had gone bonkers the next day when he’d heard about it. Anything that annoyed Jordan was automatically twice as funny.

Tyrone shook his head. “St. Mungo’s is good. They’ll get you back to normal. My aunt deals with this kind of thing all the time. But… if something goes wrong… you know I’m still sticking with you, right?”

She looked up at Tyrone, so ridiculously good-looking and well-built. There was no way she was going to be the fragile, helpless damsel in distress who needed to be rescued by the strong, handsome knight in shining armour.

Tyrone believed in life according to ‘The Princess Bride,’ where the dashing hero saved the lovely but helpless princess and they lived happily ever after. But that wasn’t how the world worked. True love had brought Westley back from the dead. Hadn’t Tyrone realized after his mother died that no amount of love could bring her back, that ‘The Princess Bride,’ was just a story? Didn’t he realize romance was a fairy-tale concept?

“Thanks for trying to make me feel better,” Emma said quietly. “I think you helped, really. But… I think you should go now. I have enough to deal with as it is.”

Tyrone’s face crumpled. “Yeah, great,” he said, and his voice sounded bitter. “I get it. I thought I’d make you feel better, but all I do is annoy you, huh?”

“That’s not what I””

“You’d think I’d have caught on by now, that you only ever hang out with me because you feel sorry for the poor little boy who’s lost his mummy. That’s why you started talking to me in the first place.” He folded his arms and glared, and once again, he looked very intimidating. Emma’s shoulders were cold where he’d released them. “Typical for big, dumb, conceited Tyrone Thomas, huh? Too stupid and selfish to realize you were just trying to be nice?”

Emma stared at him. He was calling himself stupid and self-centred? Only she was allowed to call him that! “Tyrone, since when have I ever done anything to be nice? Ever?” she exclaimed.

“Of course, you could’ve told me these last three years that you don’t give a Knut about me, but that would wreck your fun, wouldn’t it? You just like to play around with me, right? Because it’s funny to flirt around with someone and get his hopes up and then laugh about it.”

He was getting worked up, and it was making Emma uncomfortable to hear Tyrone talking about getting his hopes up.

“I’ve never flirted with anyone in my life!” she shouted.

“Oh yeah? What do you call holding hands, flying together at midnight, watching movies, hiding out after dark, slow dancing, saying ‘not yet’ when I ask you out? And don’t say you call that pity!”

“That’s… that’s different! And besides, it’s you who’s pitying me because I’m messed-up and useless and everything and you want to be the big hero.”

Tyrone glared at her, and his look was harder than than any that Emma had ever received in her life, which was saying something, seeing as she’d grown up with Jordan. “I’m not here out of pity,” he said. “I’m here because I saw you get hurt and I was scared… I’m still scared. See, at least I’m man enough to admit it. And unlike some people, I’m brave enough to come right out and admit that I…like you. A lot.”

Emma was speechless, but it didn’t matter because Tyrone still had plenty to say. “And you can really be a git, and you’re always making me feel horrible, but I can’t get it into my thick head to stop liking you, even if you can’t stand the sight of me.”

Emma couldn’t stand it anymore. Before she knew what she was doing, she exploded. “What are you, stupid? I’m bloody crazy about you!”

And without thinking, without realizing what she was doing, without even worrying about the consequences, she grabbed Tyrone by the face with her good hand and kissed him. It wasn’t like the perfect kiss at the end of ‘The Princess Bride.’ It was clumsy and awkward and desperate and absolutely amazing.

And Emma didn’t care for a long, suspended moment that she was bald, that she couldn’t move her left side, that not far off, people were still shooting curses back and forth, that she’d let herself give in at last . She should have felt awful in every possible way, but she couldn’t remember ever feeling happier.

When they broke apart, they stared at one another. They weren’t gazing deeply and passionately into each other’s eyes like in the stories… it was more like suddenly realizing, “What the heck did we just do?”

After what seemed like a ludicrously long amount of time, Emma breathed, “Your mustache tickles.”

Tyrone blinked, for the first time in quite awhile. “Emma…” he said softly. “I thought you said you denied the existence of my mustache…”

“I think I denied the existence of lots of stuff,” Emma replied, and suddenly burst into tears.

Tyrone looked very taken aback, clearly astonished by Emma doing several incredibly un-Emmalike things in a very short span of time. “Are, uh, your eyes really, really sweaty?” he asked gently.

“No, I’m crying, you idiot!” Emma exclaimed gleefully, now laughing and crying at the same time. She’d thought that being strong meant never showing signs of weakness, but maybe that wasn’t always the case. Maybe she’d been unbelievably stupid for the last several years. Maybe being a strong person meant being brave enough to admit she’d been wrong. And… maybe Tyrone really did have a mustache.

Tyrone cupped her chin in his hands. “You really scare me sometimes,” he whispered softly.

“And you really annoy me sometimes,” Emma replied tenderly. “Want to snog some more?”

“You have to ask?”


* * * * * *


Ted looked up into the face”if you could call it that”of a massive Death Eater wearing a terrible grin. From where he was sitting, the man looked impossibly huge. His robes were torn and stained, his graying black hair and beard matted, his fingernails were curved talons, and his teeth were yellow and pointed and, in the case of several of them, missing altogether.

But it was his face that was the most terrifying. It was slashed and shredded and hopelessly mutilated, such a cruel parody of a face that it made Bill Weasley look as perfect as Tyrone Thomas by comparison. One eye was missing and sealed shut with crusted blood, a spider web of scars criss-crossing over it. His nose was smashed over to one side of his face, his ears tattered, and huge chunks of his lips and cheeks were entirely missing, exposing swollen red gums beneath. He moved in a strange way, half bent over and with tentative steps as though unused to walking on two legs. His one eye was yellowed and bloodshot, the blue iris cloudy and scummed over, but distinctly wild-looking nonetheless.

He sniffed the air, his distorted nostrils inflating, and stopped uncomfortably close to Ted, looking him up and down with his single eye. Ted could smell the blood on the man, and he could feel his heart pounding somewhere in the region of his Adam’s apple. He grabbed Ivy’s hand tightly. He knew exactly what this man was.

“This is the last place I expected to find you,” the man said. “I’ve been following your scent across the battlefield, and I find you enjoying private time with a female companion. How quaint.”

His voice was a strange surprise, rather high-pitched and fussy-sounding. Ted had been expecting more of a growl, and words of greeting more along he lines of “Oi’m gonna eatcha!” This man reminded Ted of Anatoly Capshaw gone bad.

“So you’re the young werewolf. Nearly seventeen, if I’m not mistaken.”

“You’re not,” said Ted very cautiously, exchanging frightened, confused glances with Ivy”though his were rather less frightened and confused. At least he understood why his age mattered.

“Please don’t hurt him,” said Ivy quietly.

The man stared at her for a moment, then suddenly burst out laughing. “You are clearly very confused. I would certainly never hurt this boy. I merely find it intriguing to converse with my own kind.”

“You’re a werewolf, too?” asked Ivy.

Ted was quite surprised that she couldn’t tell from the start. The man was the most wolfish person Ted had ever met, and he had a certain smell about him beneath the stench of blood that Ted recognized all too well. He’d smelled it on his father, and he was beginning to smell it on himself, and this man’s smell was hundreds of times stronger. Ted’s nose was getting keener the closer he got to his birthday.

“I am, in fact,” said the man, “although I personally would find it a bit obvious. My name, incidentally, is Cassius Balthazar, and I’m sure the others in my pack will find a good place for a nice young lad like yourself.”

“Thanks, but I think normal, er, wizard society’s good enough for me,” Ted said uneasily.

Balthazar laughed, but not particularly unpleasantly. “That is adorably optimistic,” he said. “But trying to live like a human only causes unnecessary pain. We don’t have anything as petty and trifling as laws. Killing is not frowned upon. We don’t have to wear clothes. And we go hunting everyday, even when it’s not a full moon. I bet you’ve never been hunting in your life, you poor puppy.”

Ted had never been addressed as a puppy before, and he sincerely hoped he never would be again. “That just doesn’t sound like my kind of place,” he said politely. “I mean, I’m like the biggest goody-goody in the school. I really don’t think I have the body for running around without anything on. And… I definitely don’t eat people. Honestly, the idea grosses me out.”

“That, my friend, is your human side talking,” sighed the other werewolf. “In a few weeks, your wolf side will be in control, and then you’ll see things quite differently. In fact, I can tell, your wolf side is so strong already. I’m surprised you haven’t snapped, as they say. I’ll save a place for you should your mind change… literally…”

Ivy looked unflinchingly into Balthazar’s ruined face. Ted wondered how she could gaze so steadily at such a mess when she could barely even bring herself to glimpse his mangled forehead. “Ted has never felt like anything but a human before,” she said stiffly. “No matter what he looks like. Even when he’s a wolf. Isn’t that right, Ted?”

Ted remained silent, looking down at his hands with embarrassment.

“Ted?” Ivy repeated quietly.

“Werewolves turn violent when we come of age,” Ted blurted. “We start changing the year before we turn seventeen. He’s right, sometimes I forget I’m a person”I jumped at Charybdis Nott that one time. I have some weird moments sometimes. But dad says I can learn to control myself, just like my first transformation, and he’s fine. He says I’ll get used to it.”

He expected Ivy to nod in silent understanding, or for her to hug him and say that it didn’t matter, that he would always just be Ted to her. But she didn’t, and her eyes were hard. “Why didn’t you tell me?” she said, and her voice was as close to confrontational as Ivy could get. “I thought something was wrong, but I trusted you to tell me.”

“I didn’t want you to worry!” exclaimed Ted. “You worry so much anyway. I wanted to get this under control, before I went and told you about it.”

“But you worry about me,” said Ivy. “I’m always honest with you about what’s bothering me. I can handle things, Ted, and you know it. You were scared I wouldn’t like you anymore if I knew.”

“That’s not true!”

Balthazar smiled his disgusting smile, watching this little scene play out. Ivy was using her dangerously small, hard voice, and Ted’s light blue eyes were wide with bewilderment.

“People you tell will be frightened of you. People you don’t tell will feel betrayed,” he sighed in a mock-tragic sort of way. “It’s a terrible predicament. I personally don’t understand it. After all, we’re lucky. I myself am much happier living as I do. Only werewolves have the freedom to live like wolves, with wolfish senses and intuition but retain the intelligence of human beings. Humans are only frightened of us because they’re intimidated. They’re so used to being the top of the food chain that they get dreadfully peevish when you eat just one or two of them.”

He giggled, a weirdly shrill sound. “I can think like a wolf and express it and understand it like a man. It’s not being a werewolf that’s taken everything away from you. It’s being a werewolf in a human world.”

“What do you mean?” demanded Ted.

Balthazar giggled again. “Did you know that I’m only thirty-one? I was bitten just a few weeks after I graduated from Hogwarts. I enjoyed a stint as Prefect, and naturally, always got top marks. I was on the Quidditch team. I was also incredibly good-looking. Me.” He gestured toward his devastated face. “You were bitten on the forehead. You can cover it up. It’s not quite as simple when it’s one’s entire face that’s been turned into a pound of mincemeat.” He looked at Ted thoughtfully. “You probably weren’t such an unfortunate-looking young chap when you were bitten, were you? Even without the scars, no one can go through transformation every month and still look good. People care about looks. Werewolves don’t.”

“Hey, I am not unfortunate-looking,” said Ted, who almost felt like laughing. He knew he wasn’t gorgeous by anyone’s standards, but he wasn’t exactly a gargoyle, either.

Balthazar shook his hideous head. “You really think you’ll go on living like a normal teenager after you turn seventeen. As much as I have to admire your attitude, and as much as I hate raining on your Werewolf Pride parade, you’ll be much happier as a wolf. I tried to deny it as well, and all I got was a divorce, internal conflict, a pink slip, and the screams of frightened children. I don’t want to see another wolf go through what I did.”

“You’re in league with Voldemort,” pointed out Ivy.

“Of course I am! Of course we all are! He’s the only one who will give us jobs. Quite ironic, isn’t it, how the ‘good side,’ the side that supposedly is not obsessed with blood purity, won’t look at us twice, when the Dark Lord employs us? He understands we can’t survive without eating people and uses it to his advantage.”

Ivy and Ted exchanged glances. Balthazar seemed so convinced that he was talking sense, and the tone of his voice made him sound like an intelligent, well-informed gentleman. But he talked about killing and eating people as though it couldn’t be avoided. Ted knew it was possible to be a werewolf without eating anyone, and he wasn’t at all impressed.

“You’ve never killed anyone, have you?” Balthazar asked in his matter-of-fact voice. “Come close, undoubtedly, but you’ve never actually killed?”

He didn’t wait for Ted to answer. Ted almost felt offended until he came to his senses and realized that this was a good thing.

“You will,” said Balthazar reassuringly. It was laughable and maddening at the same time that he would be reassuring about something like that. “If you’re living with your equals, it’ll be a stranger. There won’t be any consequences, except perhaps the satisfaction of a good square meal. At Hogwarts? At home? There’s a very good chance it’ll be someone you care about. And no one else will be quite as understanding as me.”

“My dad’s a werewolf. He can control himself”he’s never killed anyone, ever,” Ted said staunchly, feeling like a broken record. He couldn’t believe that practically all he was doing in this battle was talking about being a werewolf. He hadn’t expected it here, of all places.

Balthazar snorted disbelievingly, but it was a polite snort. “Your father taught you to hold it in. It’s rather like plugging up a hose with one finger. When you let your guard down and explode, I’ll assure you it’s much worse than it would be otherwise.”

It was then that Ted realized how many dead bodies on the battlefield hadn’t been destroyed by a painless killing curse. All too many were gnawed and bloodied, their flesh ripped away. Ted was sure that Balthazar had calmly eaten at them as one would a slice of pizza. And there wasn’t any anger or aggression involved” this was standard behaviour for Balthazar.

Ted shuddered. He couldn’t begin to imagine himself doing anything like that. He had parents and older siblings and teachers and friends and Ivy, who all knew him so well, had known him since before he’d become a werewolf. The worst part of the concept of joining Balthazar was imagining the horrified and grief-stricken expressions on their faces when they learned what their little Teddy had done. It would never happen, not in a million years.

“You are a monster,” said Balthazar, jolting Ted from his reverie. He didn’t say this like it was a bad thing.

“Covering it up doesn’t make you any less of one. The sooner you learn that, the happier you’ll be. I’ve met puppies like yourself before, and their endings are never pretty. Better to accept that you’re not human anymore and you’ll never be human again, and there’s no reason why you should try to dress up and play pretend like you’re one. One day, it will all catch up with you. Everyone has a breaking point.”

Suddenly, he grabbed Ivy by the waist and dragged her toward him. She screamed, but Balthazar looked unfazed. He was used to ignoring screams of terror. “How would you like it, girl, if your boyfriend attacked you?”

“My name is Ivy.”

Balthazar laughed. “Well, then, Ivy. Suppose you two lovebirds were alone together when Ted got a little… over-excited in the heat of the moment and accidentally tore you limb for limb? No one would hear you scream, would they? It seems a bit foolish to me.”

Ted couldn’t remember ever feeling so small before, despite the fact that face to face, he was actually at least half a head taller than Balthazar. He was shaking. “Let go of her,” he said, but his voice sounded weak. How could Balthazar say something like that? He could never hurt Ivy. He only hoped she realized that.

Ted had always thought that Malfoy had been the evilest person he’d ever met, though Charybdis Nott and Pansy Parkinson were not too far behind. But now he had to reconsider.

Cassius Balthazar, for all of his affected mannerisms, was eviler than Ted could have imagined any human being becoming. And what made him so evil was that he didn’t think of himself as such. He had no morals, no qualms, and no idea that anything he was doing was wrong.

“It will happen,” continued Balthazar. He had moved one of his hands around Ivy’s throat, the other still wrapped around her waist. He was too strong for her to get away, but she didn’t look scared. She looked angry and offended, and most importantly, she looked Ted full in the eye.

“Best not to sugarcoat things. One day very soon, you will snap. You won’t be able to push it back anymore. And without even thinking, without remembering that you were ever human, you will kill someone with your teeth and your claws and anything else you can use.” Balthazar’s voice was rising and falling in an eerie, hypnotizing cadence.

“You never thought to tell Ivy that there was more to being a werewolf than transformations? Not even a fair warning? She wouldn’t know to get away before you could hurt her. Was that your plan all along, to lure her into your trap? or are you really that stupid and idealistic? In either case, it’s best to cure both of you of any delusions. There has been so much bloodshed already today, I can’t say I’ll be very surprised if you kill for the first time today.”

And Balthazar was right. Because just then, he whispered, “Poor, poor, Ivy. Let’s just put her out of her misery already, shall we?” and went straight for her throat.

Ted felt as though his brain had burst like a balloon, splattered uselessly across the inside of his skull. The anger and hatred that had been building in him since Balthazar had begun to speak coursed through his veins like poison.

He screamed… but his scream was more of a roar, and his roar more of a growl. He was blind and he was deaf, and there was nothing but the filthy teeth so close to Ivy’s neck…

Ted threw himself at Balthazar, catching him off guard, and knocked him to the ground. He may not have been strong, but he was angry and afraid, and that more than made up for muscles. He felt his fingernails rip through the man’s robes and into his chest, and everything was distorted by red clouds of hate…

Ted was splayed across Balthazar’s broad torso, the massive werewolf flat on his back on the ground. Ivy was crouched nearby, and Ted could see that she was crying silently. Her neck was red, but the skin wasn’t broken at all”Ted had stopped Balthazar in time. Gradually, Ted’s breathing slowed, his muscles relaxed, and the pulsating redness behind his eyes dissipated.

He couldn’t believe he’d thrown himself at such a big, powerful man”a full-grown werewolf, no less”and lived to tell the tale, much less managed to tackle him to the ground. But he had tried to hurt Ivy… and he had suggested that Ted would do even worse to her… and that Ted didn’t really care about her. Balthazar had located all of Ted’s buttons and pushed them in succession.

“Erm… sorry…” said Ted lamely, getting up. He was horrified, shaking from head to foot. Balthazar would not take kindly to Ted’s little display, and he knew he could expect to be chased and, if caught, eaten on the spot.

But Balthazar didn’t stir.

Ted looked down and immediately felt every hair on his body stand on end and every drop of his blood freeze in his veins. Balthazar’s head had struck a sharp, pointed rock. The ground around him was splattered with blood and brains in a thick pink ooze, like a strawberry milkshake, and it was spilling fast. The sickly-sweet stink of death permeated the air.

Cassius Balthazar was dead…and Ted had killed him.
Chapter 24: Is This A Kissing Book? by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Sorry, this took me ridiculously long. Senior year is crazy. And I’ve been in a play of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe playing Fenris Ulf (the evil wolf, usually known as Maugrim), which has sucked up my whole life. Happy holidays, everyone.!

The blood and brains were everywhere now, smeared all over Ted’s shirt and his hands. Ivy’s face was as bloodless as Balthazar’s, her eyes just as wide and unseeing.

Ted didn’t say a word. None sprung to mind, except for possibly “NOOOOO!” and somehow, it didn’t do what he had just done justice. Instead, he staggered backward, collapsed to the ground, and retched again and again until his body shook with dry heaves and the pool of vomit had flowed and merged into the mess of blood and brains. Only then did he pass out, spread across the evil-smelling puddle.

When he opened his eyes again, a minute later or maybe an hour, Ivy’s worried face was floating above his. “Ted, you…” she whispered.

“I know,” he said, turning his face away. There was something almost harsh about his tone, something bitter and thoroughly unTedlike.

“I was going to ask you if you felt all right,” said Ivy. Her gaze was steady, and Ted realized that the dried tears on his face weren’t hers. They were his own.

He sat up, and Balthazar’s body was gone. He didn’t even want to think about exactly how it had been moved, or who had done it, or where it was now. The pool of filth had been cleaned up, too, and Ted mentally thanked whatever brilliant wizard had invented the Evanesco spell.

“This isn’t safe for you,” Ted croaked. “You heard Balthazar. I’m a monster.”

“No, you’re not,” said Ivy calmly. She pulled off Ted’s filthy and torn shirt, leaving him bare-chested and shivering. “You never planned to kill him.”

“Monsters don’t plan,” snapped Ted. He stared at Ivy and felt horribly ashamed, not just for killing Balthazar, but for snapping at her. He’d never done that to her before”or to anyone, for that matter.

Ivy was silent for a moment, and her face was sad. “What happened to Mr. Sunny-Side-Up Optimist?” she asked quietly. “You’ve always been so sure of yourself. You even got Arden to believe that she was a human being. Don’t tell me you let one sick cannibal change all of that.”

Ted couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Hadn’t Ivy seen what had happened? Without even thinking about it, he’d killed someone. That was all there was to it.

“This is a battlefield,” Ivy continued. “People are dying. You saw your own mum kill Nott. My dad’s going to kill Voldemort. Uncle Ron’s going to kill three people. They’re not monsters.”

“Ivy, I was so mad…” Ted was crying fresh tears now, without shame. “I’ve never been mad like that before…”

Ivy’s expression didn’t change at all. “I think a monster wouldn’t be mad,” she said. “He’d be calm about killing someone, wouldn’t he?”

Ted knew he didn’t deserve any of what Ivy was saying to him. He felt like a Death Eater and an animal and a traitor. And it sounded like she was trying to convince herself just as much as she was him. “Listen, my dad told me, it’s your choices that make you who you are, not your abilities,” Ted said. “I can be a good person, I know I can. But I… I made the choice to kill Balthazar instead… so everything he said was true.”

“I’m not going to try to convince you anymore, then,” Ivy told him. “I just have two more things to say. You didn’t mean to kill him… it was an accident… but you’re still so upset about it. A monster wouldn’t be, and a monster wouldn’t care whether he was a monster or not. Balthazar was one, and you’re not. You think that because you killed someone, you’ll do it again …I know that’s not going to happen. You’re so scared, there’s no way you’re ever going to do anything like that again.”

Ted opened his mouth to speak, but Ivy cut him off.

“And you didn’t attack him for no reason. It wasn’t even self defense… You were defending me. And if Balthazar hadn’t died, I would have… or I’d be a werewolf, too. You’d never call me a monster, would you? If I’d died, you’d feel even worse than you do now.”

Ted stayed silent, curled up on the ground, but her soft voice was like water dripping gently but persistently on a rock. After awhile, it began to make an impression.

“Balthazar wasn’t expecting you to try and knock him over. No offense, but he’s… he was a lot bigger than you. He was off guard. You were only trying to protect me, weren’t you?”

Dumbly, Ted nodded.

Ivy hugged him, and Ted let his head rest against her shoulder as she had rested hers on his shoulder so many times. “I’m not saying it’s a good thing that Balthazar died.…I’m still really scared… and I know I’m going to have nightmares about this. But… it wasn’t evil. You’re not evil, Ted.”

Ted could almost believe her. Everything she said made sense in a way. But she hadn’t been him him, and she hadn’t known how he’d felt. He hadn’t felt human. He knew he’d only let the wolf in him take over because Ivy was in danger, but that didn’t make it any less true that he’d given wolfish side free reign yet again… and every time, it got worse. He wasn’t even seventeen yet.

“Listen to me,” said Ivy. “You always make me feel better. You always protect me. You don’t need to get so defensive when I’m trying to do the same for you. I don’t really need to be protected… I know you know that. But even if I don’t need it, I like it. I can’t believe how lucky I am that you care that much about me. Emma would kill me for admitting it, but it’s true.”

“I know you don’t need to be protected,” Ted said at last. Ivy was stroking his hair, gently touching his torn and mangled temple without the slightest sign of disgust. He remembered how she’d once cringed at the slightest glimpse of it. “You’re brilliant at magic, definitely better than me. You’re an Animagus, you lived through the Cruciatus curse twice, you’re one of the bravest people I know… But I’m just always so worried something’s going to happen to you.”

Until that day, Ivy had never seen Ted cry. In fact, she’d never really seen him sad”sympathetic, yes, but never sad for himself. It was strange and disconcerting to see someone who had been nothing but happy and optimistic as long as she’d known him so completely devastated.

She was trying so hard to put herself in Ted’s shoes and say what she knew he’d say to her if it had been Ivy in his situation… but she was so confused and still so frightened that the boy she knew so well had killed someone with his bare hands. He wouldn’t do it again, she knew… but there had been so much blood, brains everywhere, and the savage, inhuman look on Ted’s face… it was all so horrifying and unfamiliar.

Werewolves turned violent as they came of age. Why hadn’t Ted told her? She could have helped him. She could have grabbed his arm and reminded him of who he was, brought him back to his senses whenever he had a wolfish moment. They could have talked about it together. It could have even brought them closer together. By trying to handle it himself, he’d put everyone else in danger.

Balthazar had been wrong. Ted would never hurt Ivy. He would never kill or eat humans just for the sake of it. He wasn’t a monster. Ted was sensitive and sweet and gentle, and maybe a bit more aggressive than he’d been before, but it was nothing inhuman, and nothing that they couldn’t both adjust to. Emma and Jordan certainly weren’t monsters, and they could both be more than a little aggressive. Haley had once tried to kill her own brother, but she was definitely human.

Ivy was scared, and there was no way to deny it. She was scared that Ted was going to turn seventeen in just a few weeks. She was scared of what might happen to Ted, and scared of what he might do, and scared that other people wouldn’t understand him. She was scared that he might make a mistake that could get hi in serious trouble, and scared that he might never be his happy, carefree old self again. But she wasn’t scared of Ted.

Ted with his long, thin limbs and long, shaggy hair; his childish light blue eyes and his bashful, single-dimpled smiles, his warm voice and his warm hugs; and his gawky, goofy mannerisms was nothing to be afraid of. And no more was the lanky, big-pawed, floppy-eared, soft-furred wolf with the gentle blue eyes and wagging tail that he became on full moons. He was just Ted, and she knew that whatever other people might say, he couldn’t do anything that could ever harm her. After all, she knew him better than anyone else.

She didn’t say any of this. She didn’t want to talk, and besides, she knew Ted understood. He might deny it himself, but he knew she was right. Instead, they sat in silence together, Ivy holding Ted like a mother cradling a sick child. The battle was still raging on, more gruesome than ever, but they didn’t pay it any attention.

“Ivy,” Ted said at last in a hoarse, cracked voice, “Why are you doing this? Aren’t you scared of me? I mean, I’m scared of me, and I’m me.”

“Don’t start saying that,” said Ivy. “Don’t you trust me at all? I promised I’d never be scared of you, remember? Do you really think I’d promise something if I didn’t mean it.”

Ted smiled weakly. “Oh yeah, I remember… you said you’d never be scared of me unless I was singing.”

“And I can probably learn to tolerate your singing, too,” Ivy replied softly. The Cruciatus Curse changed people. The first time, it had changed her into a meek and terrified wisp of a person. But the second one had made her braver. She wasn’t afraid of pain, and she wasn’t afraid of rejection, and she certainly wasn’t afraid of Ted. What couldn’t kill her made her stronger.

“So, you’ll stick with me?” asked Ted. His tone wasn’t flippant at all. It was a timid whisper, and his eyes were wide and hopeful.

Ivy stared at him, so vulnerable and afraid. How could he think for a second that she’d abandon him? She was silent for a long minute, then finally she said, “I love you, Ted.”

He opened his mouth to say something, but before he could get a word out, Ivy kissed him. Ted couldn’t imagine it was very pleasant for Ivy, as he’d just thrown up not long before and his breath had to be truly rancid, but he didn’t care. Fireworks were going off inside his head. “I love you, too,” he said, his voice shocked. “I love you, too.”

He wasn’t good with words, so he didn’t use any more. Instead, he settled back into Ivy’s arms, still weighted down with horror and sadness, but buoyed by hope.

She loved him. He’d just killed someone, he was acting like a pathetic child, she was seeing him at the absolute worst he’d ever been, and she still loved him.

Ted knew he’d made some extremely big mistakes and done some outrageously stupid things, but there was one thing he could be proud of. He had excellent taste in girls.

* * * * * *


“Voldemort should show up any minute,” Jordan muttered from beneath the Invisibility Cloak. He’d seen Ivy’s leg break and Emma get attacked by Bellatrix Lestrange. Cecilia was immobilized and Anatoly was unconscious. Tyrone had run off toward Emma, and was probably… tending to her, and Ted… Jordan hadn’t seen Ted in awhile.

He hoped Ted was okay. He could generally look after himself, but he had this crazy suicidal notion that he had to fling himself in front of every attack that came his way. And if Ted wasn’t all Ted anymore, then things could get messy if he got of control.

Of the time travelers, only Haley was still fighting, and she looked like she was getting exhausted, bloodied cuts covering her body. The entire trip had been a disaster. Everyone was getting hurt, the whole battle was nothing but utter chaos. Why had Jordan let other people come with him? He knew that there was safety in numbers, but he was sure he could have managed on his own.

“Avada Kedavra!”

Jordan’s head jolted upward and he started. Rodolphus Lestrange had directed his wand at Haley…

A hand grabbed her and pulled her to the ground in the nick of time. The curse whizzed over her head, hitting a tree and instantly turning it into a dead stump.

“Nothing broken, I hope,” said Anatoly cheerfully, helping Haley up. “I think I pulled you down a mite too forcefully. What can I say, I don’t know my own strength.”

“You’re… you’re supposed to be unconscious!” said Haley, pointing to him.

“Yes! Isn’t it fascinating how I can manage that and talk and save your life all at the same time?” laughed Anatoly. He was grinning. “That Stunning spell never hit me. It bounced off my glasses, can you believe it? I don’t know why your brother went for contact lenses.”

Haley giggled. “Jordy likes to look pretty,” she said. “But, wow, you were lying there this whole time pretending you were knocked out?”

“Waiting for the opportune moment,” Anatoly replied brightly. “You see, I am a Slytherin. I’ve realized that sometimes, it’s safer to play dead and not bother sticking your neck out ‘till you have to. Jordan seems to have had the same idea with Cecilia.”

“Yeah, I think he’s a Slytherin trapped in a Gryffindor’s body,” sighed Haley. “My brother’s a certified nutcase, but I love him anyway. Want to go fight more?”

Jordan shook his head as Haley and Anatoly sprung back into battle. Anatoly Capshaw was eccentric to say the least, but he was a better man than Jordan gave him credit for. He’d have to thank him for saving his sister.

Actually, Jordan and Haley were getting on suspiciously well lately, especially during this battle. He had to wonder whether it could possibly last.

Jordan didn’t have time to get philosophical, though, because Rodolphus Lestrange was still shooting off Killing Curses left and right, making it difficult for anyone to simply sit there and think. The green light illuminated the square… the spell hit a man from behind who was dueling with Peter Pettigrew…

Ron Weasley lay dead on the ground, his eyes blank and empty and his mouth gaping open in his last scream.

Jordan’s first thought was, “Hmmm… he doesn’t wear glasses, how could the spell have bounced off him?” He’d seen the battle before in the Pensieve, and he knew that Ron didn’t die. Of course he couldn’t die. He went on to marry Hermione and become Deputy Head Auror and raise Emma. Then Jordan realized that things weren’t like they’d been in the Pensieve. There hadn’t been a Jordan or a Haley or an Ivy or a Ted or an Emma or a Tyrone or an Anatoly or a Cecilia to change the course of events.

Jordan had warned that meddling with time could have disastrous consequences. They’d meddled with time, and sure enough, the consequences were disastrous, all right.

People were gathering around Ron’s dead body now. Jordan couldn’t watch them, couldn’t bear to see his father and mother and Aunt Hermione… especially Aunt Hermione…

Already discombobulated and light-headed enough as it was, Jordan suddenly had a vision. It wasn’t so much a normal vision as a string of events, almost a slide show of the new future.

Ron was dead. Hadrian Bellowes was Head Auror. No one had stopped the attempt on Harry’s life that had made Ron a national hero. Harry had been killed. Jordan and Haley had no father, and Holly and Jonathan were never born. Hermione was married to Terry Boot. Emma didn’t exist… No one had caught Malfoy the night of the ball in fourth year when he’d tried to break into the school. He’d killed Hermione and several students on his way toward her. No one had dueled Ophidias the night Malfoy was defeated”he’d slipped away and never gone to Azkaban or changed his ways. Haley had been the Hogwarts Triwizard Champion. No one had stopped Tancred Apple, and he’d escaped. Tyrone had gone through nineteen girlfriends in three years, and slowly gained such a reputation as a shallow, arrogant flirt that he’d gradually lost all of his friends and admirers and simply became a school laughingstock. Gryffindor had lost the Quidditch Cup…

“Of course, you’re Bellowes’s hero now that. Of course, you’re Bellowes’s hero now, especially since Ron died. And, yeah, everyone pretty much hates you, especially for what happened to Emma Weasley…” echoed Haley’s voice.

It was all Jordan’s fault for getting into this mess. Once again, he’d ruined everything. Ron didn’t die in Azkaban. “What happened to Emma” had nothing to do with Tyrone and a forest- visions weren’t guarantees. The future could change. And now, it had changed.

He imagined a world with no Ron, no Hermione, no Harry, no Emma. He would remember Emma. Haley and Ted and Ivy and Tyrone and Anatoly and Cecilia would. But to everyone else in the world, Emma Weasley would have never existed.

He’d gone back in time to save Ron and help Emma. Instead, he’d let Ron die. He’d let Emma lose her hair and become paralyzed, and now he was deleting her from history.

There was no Emma, with her bold brashness and her scary proficiency at hexing, her Quidditch skill and her devilish sense of humour, her pretty face and her foul mouth, her painfully honest comments and her blatant lies about her feelings.

Jordan grasped the Time Turner around his neck. He still had it with him. He could gather the rest of his friends, go back in time an hour or two so that they’d only briefly come and then gone again. He would never know whether Snape had been good or evil, but there were more important things by far”like lives, for instance.

Beneath the cloak, he crept up behind Haley and whispered in her ear, “Haley”it’s me, Jordan. Meet me behind the house to your right, and bring Anatoly.”

“Jordan, where are you?” hissed Haley, whispering several inches away from her brother’s ear, but coming very close to biting his nose by mistake. “Uncle Ron just died!”

“I know,” said Jordan. “We’re going back. I’ll get Cecilia and take the spell off of her. You find a way to get Ivy, Ted, and Tyrone… but not Emma, that’s important. Tyrone’s back there, and I think I know where Ted and Ivy are.”

As the words left his mouth, a phrase flashed through his mind, a simple sentence that he couldn’t believe. But his visions didn’t lie.

Ted just killed a man.

* * * * * *


Jordan waited behind the house, the cloak pooled in his lap. There was something truly weird about being able to see himself again, he’d gotten so used to wearing the cloak. Cecilia, who was still pale and shaken-looking, was sitting mutely near him, as was Anatoly, who kept chattering on about something or other that Jordan wasn’t paying the slightest bit of attention to.

Tyrone had stomped over a moment before, shouting, “You better have a pretty good reason for me to come over here and leave Emma all alone. Haley wouldn’t stop tickling me until I promised I’d go see you. What the heck is it?”

“I’ll tell you when everyone else gets here,” Jordan replied coolly, fixing dark eyes on the assembled group.

They sat in silence for a moment, then at last, Jordan turned to Cecilia. “I’m… really sorry,” he said, choking over the words. He didn’t apologize often. “I brought you here even though you’re only in third year, then I let you lie there through the whole battle… I should have known better than to do something so idiotic.”

“It’s okay,” Cecilia said, and her voice was tight and quiet. “I was the one who said I’d come, anyway. It’s my fault.” She paused, took a deep breath, and blurted out, “I saw my mum and dad…”

“I know,” replied Jordan. Cecilia didn’t need to blabber on about her feelings, about how wrong she’d been about her parents, about how they were true heroes and deserved more respect. He’d seen Neville and Luna survive the Killing Curse, and no human being could possibly ever call either of them pathetic again after seeing that sight.

It took much longer than Jordan had expected for Haley to arrive with Ted and Ivy, and when she finally did, Jordan was both concerned and repulsed by Ted’s appearance. He was as white as whipped cream, his face smeared with blood and his hair damp and sticky with sweat and even more blood. His chest was bare, and in the daylight, it was all too easy to see how sticklike his arms were and how visible his ribs.

But the most disturbing part was the way he clung to Ivy, as though he needed a tether to the earth. His expression was weary and hard. Ivy limped along with her broken leg bound up in magically-conjured bandages, but Ted didn’t have the strength anymore to even try to carry her.

Jordan didn’t have to ask to know that his vision must have been true. Ted had killed a man.

Jordan himself hadn’t become a full-blown Seer until his seventeenth birthday. Now Ted was nearly seventeen as well, and it couldn’t have been much different with werewolves. It only stood to reason that this would happen sooner or later. But… it was Ted…

“Just a minute,” Jordan said to the rest of the group and turned to Ted. “It’s possible to perform Occlumency against yourself,” he murmured, his voice hushed and serious.

Ted looked at him blankly and emotionlessly. Jordan knew that look. He’d worn it hundreds of times, and it never meant anything good.

“I use it when it would be highly inconvenient for me to have a vision”the Seer part of my mind gets shut off from the rest of it. I can teach you to use it to block the wolf side of you. That’s probably what your father’s been doing all along without knowing exactly what it was. It’s really not difficult at all once you become accustomed to it.”

Ted didn’t look up from the ground. “Thank you,” he said almost inaudibly, but his face looked marginally more hopeful, and he squeezed Ivy’s hand as they sat down on the ground next to the rest of the group.

Jordan hoped that Occlumency would help Ted. It was rather disconcerting to be friends with and have his sister date a homicidal werewolf, although he would never dare say that out loud. And not just because he was afraid Ted would rip his throat out.

“Well,” Jordan addressed the group as a while, “no doubt all of you saw my Uncle Ron die.” His voice was far too brisk and business-like. “Not only does that change the entire future, it means that if we return to our time, Emma won’t exist anymore. She’ll have never been born.”
There was a predictable cacophony of voices, but Jordan simply talked over it until it subsided. “The solution is to go back in time, just a bit, and change things so that we only came here for a short while. Ron didn’t die in the real battle; something about us being there today changed things. I was stupid to meddle with time anyway. I thought I couldn’t make a mistake because of my Seer, but I overestimated my own abilities.”

Ivy raised her hand patiently.

“Yes?”

“Make sure we don’t go back too early. I don’t want to erase the part where Ted talked to his dad,” she said.

Ted raised his head. “But nothing I said to him was tr””

“Shut up,” Haley told him sharply. “Don’t be like that, or I’ll tickle you.” She glared. “Anyway, I’m agreeing with Ivy. At least that way one person in the Lupin family would end up with some sense knocked into him.” She looked exceedingly cross, but Ted’s expression didn’t change. Jordan had to concede that moping was a lot less attractive when someone else was doing it.

“But why isn’t Emma here now?” demanded Anatoly. “I mean, I’ll be honest, I’m not overly fond of the girl, but I think she’d be able to handle the fact that she’d have never been born if we didn’t change the past again.She’s a tough little cookie”

Jordan smiled slightly. “Whenever I decide to be altruistic, people always assume I have ulterior motives,” he sighed. “Emma’s lost all of her hair, and she can’t use her left side. That shouldn’t have happened to her. Instead of forcing her to live like that for the rest of her life, wouldn’t it make more sense to go back to when we first got here, pick up Emma from the past”well, this is the past, but the earlier past”and bring her back healthy?”

Haley whistled. “Too bad you didn’t find out you were a Seer a few years ago! You’d be doing nice stuff all the time!”

Tyrone bobbed his head. “I think Emma would definitely approve. She was pretty freaked out, last I saw of her.”

“Let’s go, then,” said Jordan, and pulled out his Time Turner. “Now, if you””

He was interrupted by the sound of a painfully familiar voice wailing, “DAD!”

Emma had escaped, as all wild creatures inevitably try to do. She wasn’t content to sit and wait behind the house while Tyrone and the rest of her friends abandoned her. Somehow, she’d managed to drag herself, with only one working arm and one working leg, into the middle of the battlefield.

Her face was ashen and crumpled, and she looked worse than ever as she stared at the corpse of the boy who should have grown up to be her father.

“Emma, you idiot, what exactly do you think you’re doing?” shouted Jordan. His pity for her didn’t diminish his rage that she could do something so stupid as rush out into the middle of the battlefield when she was so badly handicapped.

Emma ignored him. Her face was frozen with horror.

“Emma, don’t be so stupid!” Jordan demanded, over Haley’s protestations.

At first, Emma made no reply, gazing at Ron’s body. But suddenly, her head snapped around and her eyes were blazing with pain and hatred and fury in addition to the glittering tears on her cheeks. “Don’t talk to me like that,” she snapped in a choked choice. “This is all your fault, you””

A green jet of light hit her from behind, framing her like a halo. She sprawled limply on the ground, bald and broken next to her father. Her wide brown eyes were as empty and glassy as a doll’s.

Jordan clenched his jaw, staring straight ahead at Emma, and willing himself to remain calm even though he wanted to scream and cry and fall to the ground like a child. He gorced himself to disregard his friends’ reactions and focus on the mission at hand. The plan was to go back in time and change things, and pick Emma up from there. They could still do that. If Ron could be retrieved, so could Emma. She was dead, yes… but only temporarily so. The only way to succeed was to stick to the plan.

His concentration was broken by Tyrone, thundering out onto the battlefield and wielding his wand like a medieval sword. “WHO DID THIS?” he roared in a terrible deep, booming voice that sounded like anyone’s idea of Judgment Day. “I’m going to kill you! I’m going to KILL YOU, YOU HEAR ME!” He wasn’t roaring anymore… now he was screaming, hysterical desperate screams that had to be ripping his throat apart.

A Death Eater raised his wand, but Tyrone snapped it in half and flung the man across the field with a jet of red light.

“Tyrone stop that,” Jordan commanded. “Don’t you see, running out into the middle of the action like that is what killed Emma!”

“I don’t CARE!” howled Tyrone. He stared at Jordan with eyes so intense that anyone else would have looked away, then suddenly punched Jordan in the face with a sickening crunch, smashing his nose and sending blood spattering everywhere. His powerful muscles clenched, and every tendon standing out in his neck, he shouted, “You don’t understand ANYTHING! I don’t CARE anymore!”

Episkey,” Jordan said calmly, trying not to let anyone see the tears in his eyes and his shudders of pain as his nose straightened itself. Behind him, Ted flinched at the torrent of blood. “You should care. Whatever Emma means to you, she’s gone. She doesn’t care about you anymore. Her body’s not worth throwing your whole life away.”

Tyrone’s body shook, but he didn’t say a word. He just backed away from Jordan, glaring like a panther about to lunge, then stormed off into the battle, shooting every spell he could think of and knocking down everyone”even Remus Lupin”who crossed his path.

When he reached Emma’s body, he stopped and dropped his wand. He didn’t yell or do anything dramatic, but simply stood there, staring at her masklike face. Then, his knees buckled a d he crumpled to the ground, with his head bowed over her. Her lips moved soundlessly, and he looked as though he were kneeling in church. Then, at last, his eyes wrenched open and he picked up Emma’s body and held it close to him, crying silently into her torn and bloodied shirt.

Jordan felt so hideously embarrassed that he had to look away, but it didn’t help”because all he saw then were the faces of Haley, Ivy, Ted, Cecilia, and Anatoly, and that was even worse.

“All right, Tyrone, enough of that,” Jordan managed.

“Jordan, are you trying to be as horrible as possible, or do you really not care about anyone else?” Ivy said suddenly. She had the palest, most pinched look about her that Jordan had seen, and her face was stained with tears, but behind the sorrow and shock in her eyes was an anger that reminded him very much of Emma. Beside her, Ted looked hopelessly wretched.

Jordan felt his eyes and his throat burning, but he forced himself to look at Ivy. “I do care,” he hissed. “Never say that again. I am trying to prevent more deaths. Tyrone is just as mortal as the rest of us.”

“Jordan in this is Emma we’re talking about!” Haley screamed hysterically, looking like she wanted to pull off his head with her bare hands. Anatoly was literally holding her back with her arms pinned behind her. He hadn’t seen her so upset since the day Ted was bitten.

Jordan sighed. If there was one thing he knew, it was that this wasn’t the last time he’d have everyone against him, and he didn’t have time to try to justify his actions. He took a deep breath, gripped his wand in his hand, and shouted, “ACCIO, TYRONE!” He was immediately rewarded with a two hundred pound Quidditch star hurtling through the air at light speed and staring directly into his chest, knocking him to the ground. If the situation hadn’t been so dire, the sight of Tyrone on top of the much smaller boy would have been hilarious, but nobody laughed now. Tyrone was shaking with grief.

“Right,” Jordan tried to say, his wind thoroughly knocked out of him by the impact. “Our plan from before still stands”travel back in time to prevent Uncle Ron from dying, and get Emma while we’re there. Everything will be fine.”

“How do you know?” demanded Cecilia. “How do you know we can bring back someone who died? That sounds dodgy to me. I’ve never heard of that working”you always hear about people who go back in time and die there.”

Jordan fixed her with his dark, solemn eyes. “That’s because they were foolish enough to go back alone. I didn’t make that mistake.”

“But you don’t know that!” shouted Tyrone. “It’s another one of your experiments again! We have to bring Emma’s body back with us!”

“No,” Jordan said firmly. “Can you imagine having to explain to Emma why we have her corpse form two hours in the future? This is absolutely ridiculous. I’m leaving now, and if you don’t want to come with me, I’ll leave you stranded here at the Final Battle. It is entirely your call.” He grasped his Time Turner in his hand and glared at the assembled group. Everyone stayed put for a few desperate seconds, then Anatoly stepped forward and shook Jordan’s hand.

“I like the way you think,” he said simply, then looped the chain around his neck as well. Ted was the next to Jordan, moving as gingerly as a shadow, with Ivy following close behind. Then, Haley”still a complete mess”stepped in, hugging Anatoly tightly and possibly blowing her nose on his shirt. With a deep sigh, Cecilia threw up her hands and joined in as well.

But Tyrone still stood apart from the group, arms defiantly folded. “I’m staying here,” he declared.

“Emma would think that was idiotic,” said a low voice. It was Ted, speaking up at last. “Why would you miss your only chance to see her alive again?”

“You do realize that what you are doing is suicide, correct?” said Jordan flatly. “I know you’re only being dramatic, but we understood your point long ago. Come here.”

Tyrone stood like a statue for a moment, but at last stepped into the group. “You’d better be right this time,” he muttered, “or I’ll snap your neck.”

“You don’t mean that,” Jordan replied calmly, and twisted the Time Turner.

* * * * * *


“Please let her be alive, please let her be alive, please let her be alive,” Haley was whimpering under her breath, racing up to the front of the group and scanning across the battlefield.

Jordan pulled her back by her collar as Ron ran right past the clump, waving his wand over his head. “We know that at our mission is at least partially successful,” he pointed out, inclining his head toward his uncle.

“HEY, LOOK!” yelled Tyrone. “SHE’S THERE! SHE’S RIGHT THERE!” Emma, long auburn hair and strength fully restored, was in the middle of the battlefield, dueling for all she was worth.

Anatoly grinned. “See, this boy is never wrong!” he crowed, holding up his hand for a high five and letting it hang lamely in midair as Jordan ignored him.

“We can’t all go get Emma,” he said. “We’re out there, too… I’ll get her myself, with the Invisibility Cloak. Otherwise, the Jordan from two hours ago will be confused. And Tyrone… no, you can’t come with me, but I’ll be right back.”

“Merlin’s adult diapers, I see me!” exclaimed Tyrone, peering from behind the house. His spirits were immediately back to usual, knowing that Emma was alive and well. “This is really, really weird.” He stared at the other Tyrone.

Jordan groaned. Knowing Tyrone, he could probably watch himself all day. The boy made Narcissus seem modest. “Please, let’s make this as quick as possible,” he said, pulling on the Invisibility Cloak. “Wait here”I’ll be back with Emma.”

He stopped in his tracks and turned back around to glare at Haley, although she couldn’t see him. “And no saying ‘is that really what my hair looks like from the back,’” he added sternly.
“You never let me have any fun,” whined Haley, sticking out her tongue.

Jordan had to admit, though, as he strode across the battlefield that it was truly strange to watch himself in action. He wasn’t particularly surprised by the way his hair looked from the back, as he already knew for sure that it was a disaster zone, but he was dismayed by how small he looked from the outside. He certainly didn’t feel that small.

It was easy to find Emma. She had just Stunned a Death Eater and was racing across the field in search of another victim, her long hair billowing out behind her. Before she could move on to a new dueling partner, though, Jordan caught her by the shoulder.

“It’s me, Jordan, under Haley’s Invisibility Cloak,” he whispered. He’d said those words so many times that day, it was becoming a catch phrase. He suspected that in the future, even when he was fully visible, he would find himself bursting through doors, proclaiming, “It’s me, Jordan!”

“You’re not Jordan, whoever you are,” retorted Emma, “because Jordan’s over there. Sorry.” She pointed toward the other Jordan with surprising composure.

“I’m from two hours in the future,” he said, throwing off the cloak and hoping the other Jordan didn’t see him. “We’re going back home now. Something terrible happens two hours in the future, and we can’t risk staying here any longer.”

Emma folded her arms. “Oh, yeah. Prove you’re Jordan.”

“Ask me anything.”

Emma’s eyes flashed. “All right then, what kind of underwear are you wearing?”

“Wha… but… that doesn’t count, you don’t even know what kind of underwear I’m wearing! How would you know I was telling the truth?” spluttered Jordan, turning a rather fetching beet-root colour.

“Because if you’re the real Jordan, I saw you bend down to pick up your textbooks earlier today,” smirked Emma. “Get a belt, boy, seriously. But come on, what kind of underwear?”

Jordan’s face flushed even deeper red. “Black boxers with monkeys on them,” he muttered, shoving his hands into his pockets. “Happy?”

“Lucky guess,” replied Emma. “One more question: what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?”

“That’s completely irrelevant!” snapped Jordan. “This is serious, and we haven’t got much time!”

Emma smiled. “I knew the real Jordan would say that. It looks like you’re the real thing after all. Now, what’s all this about something terrible happening?”

Jordan tried to explain, but he soon realized that it would take more time than he really wanted to waste. Instead, he simply mentioned something vague about how they had drastically altered the future and it was out of hand and told her he’d elaborate more once they were safely back to the present. Ignoring her streams of protestations, he practically frog-marched her over to the house where the other six were waiting.

As they drew nearer, Emma squinted at the despondant, shirtless Ted sitting on the ground and asked quietly, “What’s with him?”

Jordan sighed. “He killed a man,” he replied briskly.

Emma’s eyeballs threatened to jump out of her sockets. “Killed a”no way, Ted? How””

“I recommend you don’t bring it up. It’s a bit of a touchy subject,” Jordan said, his voice stiff.

Emma whistled through her teeth. “Yeah, well, I can imagine.”

As soon as they approached the house, Tyrone raced up to Emma and buried her in a rib-cracking hug. “EMS! It’s you! It’s you! You look gorgeous!” he yelled at the top of his lungs. Jordan wasn’t surprised he wasn’t jumping up and down like Haley.

Wincing, Emma patted him awkwardly on the top of the head. “Er… down, boy,” she said, extricating herself from Tyrone’s grasp.

Cecilia elbowed Tyrone in the ribs. “She has no idea what happens in two hours,” she reminded him through the corner of her mouth, ever practical.

Emma looked deeply confused, but Tyrone stepped back, embarrassed. “Er, sorry about that,” he mumbled. “Got, you know, caught up in the moment.”

“Right, well, let’s go home,” said Jordan, clearing his throat. “It’s getting late. Come on.” He gathered everyone closer together, resulting in many stepped-on toes, and looped the long gold chain around all eight of their necks, resetting the dials to the date and time it had been when they’d left their time. It had seemed so long ago, which was odd, because it was actually so far in the future.

Time flew past the clump of eight, and it was not unlike standing in the middle of a multicoloured tornado while listening to a recording played backward. The twenty-three years whizzed past in seconds, and when the spinning cloud of time stopped at last, Godric’s Hollow was changed.

No longer a smouldering ghost town of ruined houses, it was the cozy village of manors that they’d been accustomed to their wholes. The house they’d been standing behind when they’d left 1997, previously a burned-out mess, was now a stately brick home with a swing set and a teeter-totter in the background.

Exhausted, Jordan flopped down on the grass, and the others followed suit.

“Now, tell me,” Emma demanded immediately, “what was so awful that you had to come and get me? I was the only one who didn’t come back from two hours in the future. What, did I, like, die or something?”

There was a strange silence. “That’s not important,” Ivy said.

“Okay, what does that mean?” Emma repeated flatly.

Jordan sighed. “It would be so hard to describe everything that happened,” he told her, “I think it’s important you know everything, but I don’t think any of us could possibly explain it. It would be so much simpler if I could just… show you.”

Emma was smart, and she caught on quickly. “You mean Telemency,” she said, putting air quotes around the word ‘Telemency.’ “Your brilliant little way of getting into people’s heads and messing with their brains.”

“Well… yes…”

“This is just great,” snapped Emma, throwing up her hands. “I get to pick between having some creeper dig through my brain or spend the rest of my life clueless about what would have happened. Is it really that hard to tell me?”

Just then, Tyrone had a cunning idea. Even Jordan had to admit that it was rather brilliant, though knowing Tyrone, it probably wasn’t necessarily intended as such. “Well,” said Tyrone slowly, “for starters, we snogged.”

What?” shrieked Emma. “That’s not funny!”

“Since when is the truth funny?” shrugged Tyrone.

Emma stared desperately from person to person. “No fair!” she cried. “That’s not true, is it?”

Anatoly was grinning from ear to ear. “Sorry, but yes,” he said gleefully. “Extremely so.”

Emma’s horror-stricken expression was a textbook example of internal conflict. She closed her eyes, let out a deep, dramatic sigh, and shook her head. At last, she turned toward Jordan. “Go ahead,” she groaned, “do your stupid Telemency, or the curiosity will kill me.”

Jordan’s usually solemn face broke into a wide, genuine smile, one of those rare smiles that completely transformed every feature and made him impossibly beautiful. “So you do trust me,” he said.

“Not really,” Emma replied darkly, “But I’ll take my chances. If you muck around at all with my mind, I’m suing you for all you’re worth.” But she was smiling. It was hard not to when Jordan was.

“Tyrone, I’ll need to use your memory… if it’s all right with you,” Jordan told him. “I didn’t, er, see quite as much of what happened.”

“Or of Emma!” chirped Haley, and was immediately silenced by all of the daggers that the others were glaring at her. She elected to politely shut up as Jordan stared deeply into Tyrone’s eyes and bored into his mind.

He saw a tiny, bizarrely young Tyrone excitably holding his new baby sister, a slightly older Tyrone flying for the first time, Tyrone talking to a boy who… oh. Ouch.

Jordan watched in morbid fascination as memory after memory flashed by. Tyrone had gone to a Muggle school as a child, and had been teased mercilessly. Not only did he constantly forget it wasn’t cool to talk about magic as though it was real, he’d entered his awkward stage before any of the other boys his age were even close to adolescence. Unfortunately, traits that would be normal in a class of thirteen- or fourteen-year-olds got him mocked incessantly as a ten-year-old. The young Tyrone had been a gangly, cracking-voiced, pimply, and painfully shy boy who was almost as awkward physically as he was socially.

And suddenly, all of the memories switched to him at Hogwarts, popular, handsome, flirting, flying… crying like a baby as he clutched the letter bearing the new of his mother’s death…

Jordan let his mind pour into Tyrone’s, an action that he’d come to relate to putting two brains in a blender and pressing the ‘puree’ button. After a minute of chaotic confusion, his and Tyrone’s memories jumbling against one another, Jordan withdrew his mind, triumphantly bearing Tyrone’s account of the battle.

“Whoa,” said Tyrone weakly, clutching his skull and looking ill. “That was intense. I think I’m going to pass out.”

“Thanks, Tyrone,” moaned Emma. “Really, encouraging, that.”

“It’s not that bad,” Jordan reassured her.

Emma laughed sharply. “Yep, and that’s what the Healers at St. Mungo’s say when they’re holding a five-inch needle.” But she sat back and let Jordan stare piercingly into her eyes until he slipped through to her mind.

Jordan was enjoying getting so much Telemency practice in one day, and he was getting better. He knew how to navigate the mind now, and he was quicker. It was so much easier to get his wits back together and pull back out again as well, easier to distinguish his own identity from Emma’s. He knew, for example, that all of those shockingly lurid thoughts about Tyrone did not belong to him.

As the head rush of exiting Emma’s brain enveloped and disoriented him, though, he thought he spotted a strange, unbelievable scrap of a memory for a split second. He only just glimpsed it, but he could have sworn he’d seen something that couldn’t be right.

He put it from his mind, though, as Emma blinked in disbelief. The memory that Jordan had planted in her brain wasn’t like a movie that she could watch inside her head”it felt just like any of her other recent memories, embedded in amongst the rest of them. It was like a seamless skin graft.

Emma’s face was an interesting combination of humbleness, embarrassment, and shyness. They were three emotions that she rarely wore, especially not all together. She’d been bald. She’d kissed Tyrone. She’d been paralyzed. She’d kissed Tyrone. Her father had died. She’d kissed Tyrone. She’d died. She’d kissed Tyrone. It was far too much to take in all at once.

“So,” she said uncomfortably.

It was a gyp, she thought angrily, a total and complete gyp. To have a memory of being kissed by Tyrone, and the awkward scene of explaining her feelings without, technically, having ever done it. Now she would have to go through the whole ordeal twice. Maybe at least this time, she could be smoother with it.

“So,” she said again, advancing nervously toward Tyrone.

“What? How dare you say my kissing is only so-so!” Tyrone exclaimed in mock rage. He smiled a bashful smile. “Well? Do you think we should, you know, be an item?”

Emma tried to force herself to look him in the eye, but it was ridiculously difficult, like trying to touch one’s nose when hopelessly drunk. “You know, I’ve always hated the word ‘item.’ Like, if you’re dating someone, you’re not a person anymore, you’re just part of a couple.”

“Can we be two items for the price of one, then?” Tyrone asked, laughing nervously. Emma laughed, too, though Tyrone’s joke hadn’t been very funny. “What I mean is… you know, can we be boyfriend and girlfriend?”

Emma hugged him. “All right, but I get to be the girlfriend.”

Tyrone laughed, even though Emma’s joke hadn’t been very funny, either. “I pretty much took that for granted,” he said.

“We’ll be cool, though,” Emma stated. “We won’t be mushy and disgusting like some people.”

“Yeah!” said Tyrone. “Like those people who are always giggling with each other and””

“”finishing each other’s sentences,” supplied Emma.

Tyrone laughed. “Yeah, I hate that!”

“Me, too! And when they always agree with each other and get all excited about it!”

“Exactly!”

For some reason, Ivy was giggling uncontrollably in a most Haley-ish manner. Emma wasn’t quite sure why, especially since she was talking about overly sentimental people like Ivy herself. Emma had forgotten she had an audience, but she figured she might as well proceed”otherwise, she’d have to face an endless barrage of questions about what was happening between her and Tyrone anyway. Besides, Tyrone probably liked all the attention.

“I want to do a scientific experiment,” proclaimed Emma. “I want to see if kissing’s any better with two working arms and all my hair.” She kissed Tyrone, and Haley cheered manically and high-fived everyone sitting around her.

“Er, yes, I’d say it is,” said Emma, in a stiff, businesslike voice.

“Repeated trials make an experiment more accurate,” pointed out Tyrone.

Emma nodded sagely. “Mm. True,” she said.

They kissed.

“I’d say the results are still pretty inconclusive,” stated Tyrone.

They kissed.

“You’re a horrible kisser, you know,” said Emma.

They kissed.

“Nowhere near as bad as you,” Tyrone said.

“You’re the first person I’ve ever actually kissed, though, so I deserve some extra credit,” stated Emma.

Tyrone grinned. “Here’s your extra credit, then.”

They kissed.

“Hmm, you’re right, I think you need more practice,” Tyrone told her.

They kissed.

“Ah, yeah, that’s great. Let’s try it again to make sure it’s not just beginner’s luck.”

They kissed. Ivy and Ted exchanged glances that quite clearly stated, ‘at least we’re not like this.’

Jordan cleared his throat loudly in his typical party-pooping manner. “If you’re quite finished,” he said sternly.

Emma and Tyrone broke apart, giggling maniacally and sounding quite out of breath. It was sickening.

“I can’t believe I actually wanted you two to get together,” grumbled Haley. “You’re scary. And there are children here.”

“Hey!” exclaimed Cecilia. “I’m in third year. I’ve seen worse.”

Tyrone grinned his evilest of grins. “Yeah, we could be doing this,” he said, grabbing Emma by the waist and””

“NO, THANK YOU,” Jordan practically shouted. Only Ted noticed that he was trying his hardest to hide a smile, but Ted wasn’t in a very talkative mood lately, and wasn’t about to tell anyone.

“It’s high time we Floo back to school, if you don’t mind,” said Jordan.

“No, I don’t mind,” said Emma. “Please. Let’s go.”

Tyrone frowned. “Why the rush, Em?”

Emma pointed to the house next door. “That’s my house,” she said, flushing. “If someone doesn’t come running outside waving around a broom about in two minutes, I’m a hippogriff’s uncle.”

The door opened.

“Run,” Jordan commanded gravely.
End Notes:
Next update should be much sooner, I promise!
Chapter 25: In Which (Almost) All Is Revealed by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
(Oh my Godric, you guys, it's that chapter I've been waiting for... lots of crazy stuff in this one. Just forget everything you read about the Final Battle in Deathly Hallows, okay? Anyway, I hope you all had fabulous holidays! I know I did!)

_________________
“You know,” mused Haley, stepping out of the fireplace, “Your dad’s in Azkaban. He couldn’t have seen you and Tyrone.”

“After knowing my dad for seventeen years, I’ve learned not to take any chances,” said Emma.

The eight time travelers collapsed into chairs back in the Room of Requirement. They were exhausted, dirty, and bloody, and not prepared to budge anytime soon.

“I’m skipping last period,” Jordan announced flatly. Normally, such a statement from Jordan Potter would be accompanied by gasps, shrieks, and cries of “It’s a sign of the apocalypse!” But no one was surprised this time. They’d all been through what Jordan had and there was no way any of them could go to class without getting some serious rest first. Besides, cutting class was no problem when they had a Time Turner at hand.

“Well, that entire mission was a complete fiasco!” Anatoly announced cheerfully.

Haley shook her head. “I know. We didn’t even get to find out how Dad defeated Voldemort.”

“Well, I could have told you that,” blurted Jordan. He looked surprised by his own words. “I… I never wanted to talk about the Final Battle before. I saw it when I was ten years old… I looked into Dad’s Pensieve, and… well, it was horrible. Ivy knows that… but I never told anyone what happened. But I’m a Seer now, and I’ve seen much, much worse.” He paused. “Like, for instance, what Emma and Tyrone were doing a few minutes ago.”

Emma gasped. “Ivy, you little sneak! When you said Jordan had seen the battle before, I thought you were just bluffing to impress Cecilia! Since when does he spill his secrets to you, anyway?”

Ivy shrugged. “I was there,” she said simply. “He was in a generous mood, and I was lucky.”

Tyrone peered at her. “Ivy, are you being sarcastic?” he exclaimed. “Look at you, you are! Next you’re going to start telling dirty jokes! I’m so proud.”

For once in her life, Haley wasn’t amused. “I want to hear what happened with Dad and Voldemort,” she said. “I’ve been wondering about it my whole life, the least you can do is tell me, Jor-jums.”

Jordan looked down at his hands. “I remember everything,” he said. “It started off right where we left, when Uncle Ron was fighting with Wormtail…”

* * * * * *

Ten-year-old Jordan, scrawny and bespectacled and clueless, stood gape-mouthed amid the blood and chaos. Once or twice, a Death Eater actually ran through him, not the pleasantest of sensations. He felt like an invisible ghost, drifting around uselessly as spells and hexes he’d never even heard of whizzed by his head.

He saw his father fighting some big Death Eater he didn’t know”he hardly even recognized any of them, only the Eight, and even then, they were difficult to identify. Beside him, Ron was firing every curse he could manage, trying to keep Death Eaters away from Harry. Hermione and Ginny were both fighting a man who had to be Lucius Malfoy, with that long blonde hair of his.

As Jordan watched, a small, plump man with beady, watery eyes crept out from behind one of the derelict houses. He watched silently until one of Ron’s spells hit the Death Eater that Harry had been fighting, then grabbed Harry, clamped a strangely shiny silver hand over his mouth, and pulled him up against a wall.

“Wormtail?” Harry said in disgust, looking down at the silver hand that was still gripping his jaw.

“Shhh, don’t let them hear you!” squeaked Wormtail, his tiny eyes darting back and forth. “You-Know-Who will be here any minute!”

“Doesn’t he like it better when his servants call him The Dark Lord?” Harry asked roughly, trying to shove Wormtail’s hand away from him.

Wormtail looked as though he was about to burst into tears. “You look so much like James,” he said in a wet, sniffly sort of voice. “Just like the last time I saw him.”

“What are you trying to do?” demanded Harry, revulsion written across his face.

Wormtail twitched. “My Master wanted to wait to fight you until you were weak and your friends were all gone. Just to see you suffer before you died. But he’s coming now.”

Harry looked around the battlefield. “All of my friends are still alive,” he said. “All the ones who came here with me, at least. Voldemort got that wrong.”

Wormtail twitched again, this time convulsively, at the sound of Voldemort’s name. “Don’t say the name,” he muttered.

Suddenly, as if on cue, there was a whirring sound, and a tall, skeletal figure cloaked in black materialized in the middle of the battlefield. His entrance was near-silent, but as he appeared, all action on the field ceased immediately. Lord Voldemort had that effect on people.

Jordan had heard many stories about Voldemort, more than he could attempt to count. But in his mind, Voldemort had just been a big, ugly man with pointy eyebrows and a long black beard, like an evil wizard in a cartoon. But this man, this creature, didn’t even look human. His waxy white skin was pulled tight over the bones of his hairless face, his nostrils flat slits on a noseless expanse, his eyes red and reptilian. He was alien and hideous, beyond anything Jordan could have imagined.

“Wormtail,” he said in a crooning near-whisper. His voice was another surprise, high and cold and barely audible, but carrying nonetheless. Jordan had expected a deep, booming roar. “Wormtail,” repeated the evilest being in wizarding history.

Wormtail bustled out from behind the old house where he’d dragged Harry, looking so guilty that it was comical.

“At last,” Voldemort said in that same horrible soft voice. “I told you to bring me Harry Potter upon my arrival. Where is the boy?”


Wormtail was trembling from head to toe. “He… he never came,” he squeaked. “He sent his friends before him to see if it was safe.”

“YOU LIE.”

The two syllables hung in the air, resonating as though Voldemort had shouted them, instead of letting them out in a strangled-sounding hiss, like an angry gnat.

“I have known Harry Potter for sixteen years, Wormtail. I have experienced flashes of insight into regions of his mind that even Potter is unaware of. He would never send his friends anywhere without accompanying them.” Voldemort shook his hideous head slowly, something like a smile pulling at his lipless mouth. “Wormtail, Wormtail,” he said. “You are pathetic. You are no use to the Death Eaters, and the Order of the Phoenix would never take you back now. Where is Potter?”

Wormtail burst into tears, a disgusting sight, “He’s not here!” he cried.

Voldemort stared at him so intently that Jordan would not have been surprised if laser beams had shot out of his eyes and into Wormtail’s. He raised his wand in a slow, graceful motion that reminded Jordan of a snake rearing its head to strike. “I seem to remember, Wormtail, that I gave you this hand as a gift… under one condition. I see no reason for you to keep it now.”

With a slash of his wand, Voldemort separated the glowing hand from Wormtail’s trembling wrist. It hung in the air for a moment, then dissipated in a puff of smoke, leaving Wormtail holding the stump of his arm and bawling like a child as blood poured from the open wound.

“You call yourself a man, Wormtail, but you have provided precious little reason for me to consider you as such,” Voldemort intoned, then sent Wormtail sprawling to the ground with another flick of his wand. “Where is Potter?”

Wormtail didn’t answer, his eyes still fixated on his mangled wrist and his lip trembling.

“Very well,” hissed Voldemort, then jabbed his wand at Wormtail. Jordan watched in horrified awe as the man transformed into a shabby rat, missing its front paw. “If you will not speak to Lord Voldemort when he commands you, then show him. Where is the boy?”

The rat skittered back and forth almost drunkenly, staring up at the evil wizard through bleary eyes.

“Perhaps this will persuade you. CRUCIO!

With an awful, shrill squeal, the rat flipped over on its back, kicking its legs madly and twitching in agony, as the towering figure of Lord Voldemort bent over the pitiful creature with a look of cold indifference on his face.

“Now are you ready to show me where Potter is hiding?” he hissed.

The rat convulsed with an uncontrollable spasm of pain, but gave no other reply

“Do you think you can deceive the Dark Lord, Wormtail? Crucio!,” spat Voldemort again, directing his wand at Wormtail, with such force that it actually bent from the motion. As soon as the spell ended, Voldemort cried, “Crucio!” once more, before Wormtail even had a second to recover. The high-pitched screaming sounds were terrible to hear, but Voldemort didn’t seem to notice. After what seemed like hours of torture, he stepped on the pathetic, bleeding rat with a sickening crunch, and blasted him behind the house with his wand.

Invisible as he was in his capacity as Pensieve Tourist, Jordan raced behind the house to see what was going on. It was almost as if Voldemort had known that Harry was behind the building where he had disposed of Wormtail, but if he had, he certainly would not have wasted time torturing the rat before going in for the kill. In the centre of the battlefield, Jordan heard Voldemort demanding in his horrible whisper of a voice, “Lord Voldemort appreciates that you chose to remain silent while I was… testing Wormtail, but now is not the time to hold your tongues. Where is the boy?”

Every Death Eater present shifted just as uncomfortably as the Order members gathered around.

“I seen him,” a big, slow-voiced Death Eater said at last. “I seen him a lot. But I don’t know where he is now.”

“Perhaps he ran away?” called out a shrill male voice from the back of the crowd.

Voldemort did not shout. His voice only grew even quieter. “You mean to say that you allowed the one true reason for this battle to… escape?”

“We wanted to kill his friends first, my lord,” stammered Lucius Malfoy.

“As I see,” snarled Voldemort, glancing around the circle at the Order members who were still on their feet.

But Jordan, behind the house where Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat with Wormtail, was no longer focusing on the various atrocities that Voldemort was inflicting on his followers. His attention was occupied by something closer at hand.

“Blimey, what was all of that for?” Ron said in a hushed voice, eyeing the rat with pity and disgust.

Harry looked uncomfortable. “I, er, spared his life back at the Shrieking Shack”in third year, remember? And I guess…he decided to pay me back. Dumbledore always said he might, but I never believed him.” He shuddered. “I wouldn’t wish the Cruciatus Curse on anyone, though.”

Hermione’s eyes were as round as Galleons. “I suppose he really was a Gryffindor after all,” she said quietly.

There was a disgusting gurgling noise, and Jordan saw a sight so repulsive that he would have thrown up on the spot, had he not been a spectral presence. Wormtail had apparently tried to change back into a human, but he was too weak. Parts of him were human, parts of him were still those of a rat, and some parts were something in-between. His face was hopelessly distorted, with the features of a human bulging from the tiny cranium of a rat, and one tiny clawed rat’s leg protruded from his human shoulders, while his bleeding stump was that of a human. He still had a tail and sporadic patches of grey-brown fur, and one rat’s eye was lost in a gaping human socket.

“Aaaaagh!” Ron scrambled back as far as he could from the mess that was Peter Pettigrew, Hermione clinging onto his shoulder.

Wormtail was trying to speak, grasping for Harry with his puny claw, but with a rat-sized brain, all that came out was a wheezy squealing noise. Blood was still pooling all around him, more blood than seemed possible.

“I… I reckon we should put him out of his misery,” Ron said quietly.

“WHAT?” squawked Hermione.

“Like when Errol got caught in the trunk of some Muggle salesman’s car,” Ron explained. “He’s not going to make it anyway, Hermione.”

Harry’s brow creased, causing his scar to twitch. Jordan noticed that it looked much deeper and brighter red than the lightning scar he recognized. “I think he’s right,” said Harry. “Er… should I do it, then?” He paused, obviously remembering the scene at the Shrieking Shack, when Sirius asked, ‘Shall we kill him together?’ and Remus replied, ‘Yes, I think so.’

“Don’t!” cried Hermione. “Besides, Voldemort can track when you do magic, Harry! He’ll find you!”

“Well, I’m going to have to face him sooner or later anyway,” Harry told her firmly. “Wormtail would have wanted it this way. He turned my dad in to Voldemort. If anyone had to do this, he’d want it to be me.” He raised his wand. “A… Avada K-k-k…” He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. “Avada Kedavra.”

There was a whooshing sound, and a beam of green light, and Jordan covered his eyes… but when he finally opened them, he saw that Wormtail was still writhing and moaning on the ground.

Harry squinted at his wand. “But… I did it!” he breathed. “Didn’t I?”

“Don’t you remember what Bellatrix Lestrange said?” Hermione asked in an infuriatingly all-knowing voice, pronouncing ‘Lestrange’ with the sort of impeccable French acecent that even the Lestranges themselves had never been quite able to affect. “You have to really mean it, she said.”

“I did mean it, though!” insisted Harry.

Hermione sighed. “I think she meant that some people have it in them to kill, and… some people just don’t.”

“Look, er, I’ll try it,” Ron butted in before Harry could say anything more. He directed his wand at Wormtail’s misshapen body, and said very softly, “Avada Kedavra.”

Flash.

It wasn’t a very dramatic scene. The green glow enveloped Wormtail, and he stopped moving, and that was it.

“Er… that’s it, then,” Ron said uncomfortably, wiping his wand on his shirt as though he had dirtied it. His face was stark white, and his freckles stood out like punctuation marks. Hermione was crying, and Harry looked lost and confused.

The three of them sat in silence as Hermione transfigured the body into a small blue stone and Harry dug a shallow hole, placed the stone in it, and covered it with dirt. They all looked down at the small indentation in the ground that was the only remaining sign of Peter Pettigrew, unsure of what to say or how to say what was on their minds.

But before they had to, Lord Voldemort’s magically enhanced voice rang out across the battlefield, “Potter, you cannot hide forever. How many of your defenders are you willing to sacrifice to save your skin?”

Harry took a breath so deep that it seemed to take him forever to exhale. “Right,” he said, “I’m going.”

“Ohhh no, mate, what are you thinking?” demanded Ron. “He’s going to kill you. You can only get lucky so many times?”

“Look, I can’t let Voldemort do anyone else in. I’m supposed to stop him, I might as well try it now.” Harry’s words were brave, but his words couldn’t hide how terrified he looked. He was shaking all over and he looked like a frightened little boy, one who had lived in a cupboard under the stairs his whole life.

Hermione grabbed his sleeve. “But we haven’t even got the last Horcrux yet, Harry!” she exclaimed. “You can’t possibly expect to defeat him without it. There’s the book, the cup””

“The ring, the locket, and Rowena Ravenclaw’s charm bracelet, I know,” finished Harry. “But there’s no time to kill the snake. Even if I can’t finish off Voldemort for good, he’ll still be set back until he can get his body back. And he doesn’t have Wormtail to chop off his hand for him anymore.”

Tears were actually running down Ron’s face, something that they hadn’t done since Dumbledore’s funeral, and very rarely before then. “Don’t do it, Harry. It’s a suicide mission.”

“You can’t even cast a Killing Curse!” added Hermione, glaring through teary eyes. “How are you planning on just waltzing up to Voldemort and””

Harry sighed. “I have no idea what I’m doing,” he said. “But I know Voldemort wants this to be the Final Battle, and he isn’t going to give up until I give in.” His voice cracked, and Jordan could barely stand to watch him.

“But you’re supposed to be the one to defeat him!” Hermione urged him. “No one else can do it. Wait until you actually have a plan!”

“Voldemort kills people,” snapped Harry. “It’s what he does. He’s just going to kill everyone he finds, and then he’s going to find me and kill me as it is. It might take a bit longer, but he’s still going to do it.”

Ron jumped up. “Harry, at least let me come with you, all right? I can do a Killing Curse, I--”

“No way, you have parents. I’m not going to put them through that,” said Harry. He stared off into the distance. “If I have to die, I’d want it to be here, like my parents…” he whispered.

“I wish you didn’t always have to be such a… a… bloody hero,” sobbed Hermione, and buried Harry in the tightest, most rib-cracking hug she could manage. Harry hugged her back, not even making a joke about her use of profanity. Once she finally let go, Ron gave Harry an equally smothering hug. Ron was not generally the hugging type, but nobody commented on that. The three of them huddled together, making the most of every last second they had together.

“I can’t believe you both came with me to all of this stupid stuff. Nobody else would have stuck with me this long,” Harry said thickly.

“I don’t know what to say to you,” whispered Hermione. “I can’t just say goodbye.

Harry closed his eyes. “You might try ‘good luck,’” he said, and before Ron and Hermione could stall him any further, he stood as straight and tall as he could and walked out from behind the house, into the open. He looked… shockingly like Jordan.

As Harry advanced toward Voldemort, Ginny grabbed his hand and hissed, “What are you doing?” But Harry couldn’t bring himself to look at her or reply.

Voldemort and the rest of the Death Eaters were staring at him, as though they were an eager audience waiting for him to begin tap-dancing. When Harry drew even with Voldemort, still shaking, as hard as he tried to steady himself, Voldemort looked almost disappointed.

“Potter,” he whispered. “I must admit my surprise. No last minute tricks, no desperate bids for survival… I had not expected you to give up so easily.”

“I’ve lost too many friends that way,” Harry said quietly.

“Ah,” Voldemort said lazily. “I see you are willing to die in the hopes that your little friends will escape unscathed. Chivalrous as always, I see. And foolish.”

Harry did not react. His whole body shivered with suppressed terror, but his face remained blank and resolute.

“And yet, now that it comes down to you and me, tell me before it is too late”why do you do this? Why do you try time and time again to defeat Lord Voldemort when the Dark Lord possesses powers that you could never dream of understanding? Why do you seek me out when any other man would hide?”

“You killed my parents,” Harry replied. His voice barely trembled, but Voldemort could sense his fear. He seemed to be drinking it in from the air with his snakelike tongue.

Voldemort laughed a merciless, humorless laugh that sounded like a pit full of angry cobras. “You lie. You never knew your parents, just as I never knew mine. I assure you, it was no difficulty killing Tom Riddle.” He spat the name as though it were poison in his mouth. “Suppose I told you your parents were alive.”

Harry swallowed. “They’re not,” he managed.

“But if they were, Potter. You would not, I think, be pleased to hear the news. You’ve been powerful without them. You can take risks that no boy would otherwise dare attempt. For the very same reason, I achieved greatness, with no parents to prevent me from attaining everything I could ever desire.”

“Not everything,” whispered Harry. “You never did get that Defense Against the Dark Arts job, did you, Riddle? And you never killed me.”

“SILENCE!” hissed Voldemort. “It is not because of your parents that you pursue me. Do not play the noble hero. Nobody wants peace and justice and freedom and safety. They are words that are used to disguise ambition. Why, then, is it? It cannot be genuine compassion for the filthy Muggles that are blighting our race, surely you realize I would never believe that?”

Harry was silent for a moment, staring into those inhuman red eyes. “No,” he said at last, “I don’t. After sixteen years with the Dursleys, I could care less what happens to the Muggles.”

Voldemort’s eyes gleamed an even brighter blood red. “So you admit it at last, Potter. Now tell me, what is your reason? Do not stall any longer, in hopes of dreaming up a plan to escape me again. I am already tiring of this game.”

Harry took a long, deep breath, then fixed his green eyes resolutely on Voldemort’s. “Because they all expect me to defeat you,” he said. “Everyone thinks I’m some big hero, that there’s something special about me because of what happened when I was a baby. They all expect me to be the saviour”anyone that Fudge and Rita Skeeter and who knows who else haven’t gotten to yet, I mean.”

Voldemort’s lipless mouth was stretched alarmingly wide, though it still never showed a glimmer of teeth. “At last the truth is revealed,” he murmured. “The great Harry Potter is nothing more than a frightened child who has had a taste of glory and is hungry for more.”

“If you think I’m going to join you, you’re wrong,” said Harry. “I haven’t come this far for nothing. No matter what you give me, there are too many people who believe in me.”

Voldemort inhaled so deeply, his slitlike nostrils almost vanished. “Predictable as ever, Potter. But Lord Voldemort has more to offer than you suspect. We are very alike, the two of us… I had hoped for some time that your ambition would lead you to the Dark Lord. But I have a proposition that I believe you will find quite… tantalizing.

“Not one of my Death Eaters will lay a finger on your… friends if you cooperate with this plan. I will disappear once more, and you and your friends will walk free, bearing the miraculous story of my defeat. The wizarding world will believe me gone for good, as they did before, and your name will remain untarnished… but in exchange, you will serve me and only me. The Death Eaters will operate entirely underground, and I will stay in hiding… but once you die”of natural causes, of course”and have no reason to protect your reputation, I will return, as powerful as before, and with the news that it was Harry Potter who assisted me all along. I believe it is a very fair bargain for your life.”

Harry stared at the ground. “Why do you think I would agree to something like that?”

“The alternative is death. I know you have discovered my Horcruxes. But both of us are perfectly aware that my final Horcrux remains safe from prying eyes, and I am certain that you will never destroy it. Time is running short, boy. Do you choose death now, after all of these years of fortuitous escapes, or do you choose my offer? Lord Voldermort is a merciful lord, he provides to those who are willing to make sacrifices for him.”

Harry’s eyes darted around the battlefield, to pale, bewildered Ginny, to smug Lucius Malfoy, to desperate, paralyzed Neville, to the dead body of Bellatrix Lestrange. “I… I accept,” he said softly, at long last. “If it keeps my friends safe.”

Even Voldemort could not hide his surprise. His smooth, reptilian face looked stunned and puzzled, but mostly fiendishly gleeful. “It is done, then. Come, make the Unbreakable Vow.”

“But the penalty for breaking an Unbreakable Vow is death,” Harry pointed out resolutely. “If you can’t die, how can I trust you to keep your promise?”

Voldemort scowled. “You will speak to the Dark Lord when spoken to,” he spat. “Lord Voldemort makes no compromises. How can I know if you are to be trusted?”

“A true Slytherin never trusts anyone,” Harry said. It didn’t sound like an insult, the way he said it. There was greed in his eyes, and it was ugly on his young face. “But if you don’t think I’m being honest with you, do Legilimency on me. You know I’m not an Occlumens. What do you have to lose?”

“Very well,” hissed Voldemort, and stepped forward, so closely that if he had had a nose, it would have pressed against Harry’s. His eyes bored into Harry’s, which stared defiantly back.

Suddenly… something began to happen. Jordan watched in confused fascination as Voldemort began making strange inhuman gurgles of pain. Harry was forced down onto his knees, gasping for breath, but he still did not break eye contact. Jordan could see that Voldemort was paralyzed by something”whether pain, fear, or nausea”and however hard he tried to pull away, Harry’s eyes seemed to tug at him like twin magnets. Harry’s scar glowed red-hot, angry, and raw.

Without warning, a gust of powerful wind seemed to come from nowhere, and where Voldemort had seemed to be pulled toward the boy just seconds before, he was now thrown across the battlefield, flying a good seven or eight feet before crashing to the ground with terrible finality. He let out a scream, so piercing and high-pitched that it sounded more like a mosquito than a man, as his skeletal body was racked with mysterious spasms. As the wind whipped at him, Voldemort seemed to decay, his body weathering into a withered husk before Jordan’s eyes. As he watched, it crumbled into dust and blew about angrily like a tiny swarm of locusts… before settling into a small grey pile on the ground. A tattered black robe and a dusty wand sat on top of the unassuming mound.

The battlefield was silent as everyone, Death Eater or Order Member alike, stared at the remains of what had been the vilest wizard in living memory. Harry Potter lay spread-eagled on the ground, white and motionless as a waxwork. He looked almost dead, but his chest rose and fell weakly. His glasses lay beside him, and his wand had rolled away.

Hermione shattered the dreamlike, suspended moment by running forward and grabbing Harry’s shoulder. “Harry!” she cried.

Harry’s eyelids flickered. “It’s all right, it’s over, he’s gone,” he muttered weakly.

“Harry, are you all right?” Ginny asked softly.

At the sound of her voice, his eyes flew open, and he sat up abruptly and kissed her full on the mouth. Jordan stared in scandalized horror as he watched the teenagers who would become his parents. When they broke apart, Harry dragged himself to his feet, still weak and unsteady, and surveyed the battlefield. “I… I did it,” he whispered hoarsely. For a moment, tears seemed to well up in his eyes, but then he let out a small, hard chuckle of amusement. “So what am I going to do with myself now?”

Most of the Death Eaters were either unconscious or had already Disapparated, but a few stragglers remained, huddled in terror around the field. As Harry advanced toward the pile of dust that had been Voldemort, they scattered into the shadows. Harry stood staring at the mound in silent contemplation, his head bowed solemnly. Then, he bent over, picked up Voldemort’s ownerless wand, turned it over in his hands, and snapped it cleanly in two, leaving the pieces on top of the pile.

When he walked back to where his friends were standing, no one knew quite what to say. This was Harry, who they had known for years, the average student, the Quidditch player, the one who was continually getting into the strangest of scrapes and doing his best to talk his way out of them, the one with the stupid haircut, awful glasses, and terrible clothes. But this was also the vanquisher of Lord Voldemort, the young man who had looked death and pure evil in the face and come off the better.

At last, Harry said, “You, er, knew I didn’t mean it when I said I’d join Voldemort, right?”

“Of course,” said Hermione.

“I wasn’t sure at first, but then I realized you had to have something up your sleeve,” said Ron, grinning broadly.

Ginny hung back as the others professed their confidence that Harry had been bluffing all along. But when Harry turned to look at her, his eyes full of concern, she whispered, “I was sure you wouldn’t do something like that… but I thought you were Imperiused, I really did. I guess I don’t know you as well as I thought I did.”

“Don’t worry,” said Harry, smiling. “We have loads of time to get to know each other better now.” He paused and touched his forehead, feeling around experimentally. “My scar doesn’t hurt,” he murmured.

“I should hope not,” said Ron. “It would be a real pain in the bum if Voldemort came back now.”

“No, you don’t get it”it always hurts,” explained Harry. “Ever since I turned eleven, it always twinged a bit. I just got used to it after awhile. But now it’s good as new.”

Ginny reached up and touched the lightning bolt mark, now faded to an innocuous pinkish-white like any other healed injury. “What did happen?” she asked. “With you and Voldemort, I mean?”

Harry sighed and shook his head. “I don’t even know,” he said. “I remembered how Voldemort tried how to possess me that time at the Ministry”it hurt him to get inside my head. Dumbledore said it was love that did it. He said it was my weapon against Voldemort, since he didn’t know anything about it. So I thought if I could get him inside my head again, maybe it would scare him away and I’d buy some time before he caught up with me… It was like I was trying to do a Patronus”I just tried to keep focused on everything I love the whole time.

“But when he did it, something… weird happened. It was like something inside me, and something inside Voldemort were playing tug-of-war or something. I was scared out of my mind, I mean, I saw inside Voldemort’s head, every disgusting thing he’s ever done to anyone. Half the time, I didn’t even know if I was me or Voldemort. I felt like I was ripping in half- and then it was like something broke inside my brain, and I felt something… it almost felt like a… a ghost or something was flying out my head, through my scar. I don’t know, it doesn’t make any sense. I didn’t see what happened after that, though… I didn’t see it when Voldemort died. Everything went all black at first, and then””

“Go on,” prompted Hermione.

“You’re going to say I’m mad,” Harry said.

Ron snorted. “It can’t be any stranger than the first part of your story, can it?”

“Well, what happened was I…” Harry ran a hand through his hair. “I mean, you must have wondered what happened when I was knocked out all that time?”

Ginny peered at him. “Harry, you were only out for ten seconds.”

“But it was hours!” spluttered Harry. “I… I went somewhere!”

“Went somewhere?” Ron repeated incredulously.

Harry clutched his forehead, as though his scar had begun to burn again. “I don’t remember what it looked like or anything. But… I saw my parents.” He looked far off into the distance, determinedly not meeting his friends’ eyes. “They told me that they were proud of me… and they love me. And that Sirius and Dumbledore do, too.”

There was a catch in his voice, however casual he tried to sound. “I asked them if I was dead, and my… my mum said no, just a part of me that wasn’t really me to begin with.”

Ginny squinted. “What?”

“Back in first year, Dumbledore told me that Voldemort accidentally put part of himself into me the first time he tried to kill me… and so I guess that bit of him split back off of me when Voldemort got in my head, but it had been so long that it was really… fused to me. And it wouldn’t let go… but I beat it in the end.” Harry’s legs buckled, and he sat down on the ground.

“My dad said I’m the man he always wished he could be. He said… he wished he had half the guts I do.” He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment to keep tears from escaping. “He was only four years older than me when he died. He looked like… he could’ve been my twin.”

Hermione stared at him like she’d never seen him before. “You really did see your parents, didn’t you?” she breathed.

“Well, that’s two times you got what you saw in the Mirror of Erised now,” muttered Ron. “I mean, I didn’t think Quidditch Captain and Head Boy was too much to ask for, did you?”

Harry suddenly burst out laughing, and he couldn’t stop. “We’ve all gone completely mental!” he exclaimed. “Just a few years ago, people looked at me like I was out of my mind just because I had a dream about a flying motorcycle. Now, all of… this can happen, and everyone acts like it makes sense!”

Ron clapped a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Harry,” he said, “This all stopped making sense years ago. We’ve just learned to stop trying to understand it all.” He exhaled deeply. “You know, mate, I never did get to tell you this, but you really are brilliant. I don’t know how you do it all.”

Ginny gave Harry a kiss on the cheek. “For what it’s worth, I’m proud of you, too,” she whispered, and pressed her nose against his. “I bet for once, you’re glad you’re Harry Potter today.”

Harry grinned. “Yeah, I am,” he said. “Because only Harry Potter gets to do this.” And he pulled her close to him and kissed her like a hungry Dementor.


* * * * * *


“Anyway, Voldemort told him that he had one of two choices,” said Jordan. “He could agree to join him or die. It was a rhetorical question”look it up, Haley, I’m not explaining what that means”but Dad said he’d join him.” He paused. “That’s where I got the idea for what I did with Malfoy, actually. Dad did it first.”

“In any case, Voldemort didn’t believe him, so he got inside Dad’s head. And… Dad’s memories were too much for Voldemort. There was too much love. Voldemort… burned up from inside and… in layman’s terms, he basically exploded.”

Seven pairs of wide eyes stared back, getting even wider as he continued. Jordan’s voice was often just a little too matter-of-fact, and this was one of those times.

“Well, that ‘hungry Dementor’ metaphor was a bit much, but good story,” offered Anatoly.

“I thought there was still one Horcrux left,” offered Cecilia, ever practical.

Jordan smiled. “The last Horcrux was Dad. Voldemort accidentally made him a Horcrux the night he killed his mum and dad… of course, he knew a bit of his soul dislodged that night, but he always thought it was in his wand. That was why he always protected it so closely. But when Voldemort tried to possess Dad, he accidentally destroyed that bit of soul.” He shook his head. “It was all luck. Dad wasn’t sure what would happen. All he knew was that Dumbledore had said love was the one thing Voldemort didn’t understand, and he took a chance.”

Haley sighed. “Wow,” she said dreamily. “That’s amazing.” She paused pensively. “You know, that’s not the only way Dad’s love helped, either. Because, I mean, you know, we helped out in the battle, and if Dad and Mum didn’t love each other, then we wouldn’t exist, because””

“Can we not talk about this, Haley?” demanded Jordan, looking slightly queasy.

“Oh, grow up, Jordan,” Haley replied contemptuously.

Jordan didn’t have a single thing to say in response to this, mainly because he was so shocked by the fact that Haley of all people was telling him to grow up.

“I mean, we all learned about the Fwoopers and the Billywigs years ago,” continued Haley urbanely. “None of us would be here if it wasn’t for””

“Yes. Well.” Jordan cleared his throat once again. Once upon a time, he’d written in a letter to Giorgi, ‘When did all of my friends get hormones, and where was I when they were handed out?’ Unlike seemingly everyone else he knew, love wasn’t something he really liked to discuss.

“What does it matter what Dad did, though?” he continued. “The important thing was what exactly happened with Uncle Ron and Snape. And we didn’t see that.” He raked his hand through his hair bitterly. “Now there’s no way at all to prove Uncle Ron’s innocent.”

Emma looked up, her face hard and set and her jaw tense in that expression that those who knew her knew so well. “Yes, there is,” she said.

All eyes now fixed upon her. She shifted uncomfortably, but she didn’t look afraid. “I know how we can get my dad out of jail,” she said quietly. “You know how I’ve been acting weird all year?”

“All seventeen years, more like,” muttered Tyrone.

Emma raised her eyebrows. “Do you really want this to be the shortest relationship ever?” she asked, though she was smiling. She swung her hair over her shoulder.

“I guess I might as well tell you. It’s like Tyrone said, it’s about time I’m brave enough to admit I’m scared. Well… Godric, how do I say this?” She exhaled slowly. “You know how Bellowes tried to wreck my dad’s reputation all year? And he tried to do the same thing when I was three, and it didn’t work because before he could get anywhere, my dad saved Uncle Harry’s life and everyone thought he was great?”

She surveyed the group. “My dad took me to his work once, when I was three… he went off to get something and he left me in his office with some girl, I think she was probably a trainee. So Bellowes comes in and tells the girl to leave, and he… he… heputtheImperiuscurseonme. Only the people in my family knew where Dad kept the diaries, and he Imperiused me to steal them and give them to him.”

Her fists were tightly clenched and her teeth even more so. Her face was blotchy with anger. “I couldn’t hold it off,” she said, her voice shaking. “I knew it was bad, but I did it anyway. And then… I was too much of a coward to tell anyone. I let my dad go to jail because I was too scared to turn myself in.” For all the obscenities she knew, she spat out the word ‘coward’ like it was the worst word in her arsenal.

Everyone stared up at Emma, who suddenly seemed so different. Twenty-four hours before, anyone would have described her as invincible and unyielding. But she wasn’t one to do things halfway”once she gave in and let her guard down on Telemency, she could give in to Tyrone, give in to tears, give in to admitting her fear, and now this, her biggest secret of all. Having said it at last, her whole face looked different, so much more relaxed than usual.

“Emma, you didn’t do anything wrong,” said Ted, his voice coming out in a croak. “Not even most Aurors can stand up to the Imperius. You were three. You didn’t even know what it was.”

Emma sighed. “That doesn’t matter. You know I hate losing control of myself.” She paused. “You’d know all about that, Ted,” she added quietly.

Ted looked down at the ground again. “I see what you mean.” Losing control of himself was definitely something he could relate to.

“That’s why you always want everything your way!” exclaimed Anatoly. “I just thought you were evil! You could have said you don’t like having people trying to change your mind!” Emma gave him an icy look. “Shutting up now,” he said cheerily. “But seriously. I always assumed you were prejudiced toward we Slytherins solely due to you being a jerk! How refreshing to know you had one of those tragic pasts!”

“Is this some version of shutting up that I’ve never heard of before?” snapped Emma. She sighed and curled up like a cat on her sofa, leaning up against Tyrone.

“That’s so horrible,” whispered Haley. She sprang up from her seat and hugged Emma. “Emma, Emma, what can I say? Bellowes is git and he needs to rot in Azkaban?”

“That’ll do,” said Emma weakly. She looked tired. “Jordan…” she began hesitantly.

Jordan looked up at her and smiled slightly. “Do I get to…”

“Go ahead. Do your Telemency thing. Show the Mininstry. Show the world. It won’t kill me,” said Emma. “It’s about time the Ministry found out about Bellowes.” She beamed. “I was scared of Telemency because I was scared you’d find out about me and the diaries… and messing around with my brain is too much like the Imperius. But… now that you’ve done Telemency on me already, nothing really scares me anymore.”

Jordan stared at her. Not at her face, at her aura. It had always been a virulent orange, streaked with pink at the edges and marred by a dead-looking brown spot in the middle.

Now her aura had expanded to three times its size, like the Grinch’s heart, and the pink had flooded the orange, mingling together like sunrise or tie-dye. Sparks were shooting off from the aura and blending with Tyrone’s which was a bright, clear gold speckled with deep purple.

“We really didn’t have to go back in time at all,” Jordan stated glumly, leaning back in his seat.

“I’m glad we did,” said Emma. “I learned a lot. Like, Bellatrix Lestrange is a total freak, and it’s okay to get scared, and Tyrone’s not as much of a shallow prat as I thought he was.”

“And that I do have a mustache,” finished Tyrone happily.

“I’m glad we went, too,” Cecilia said. “It was worth seeing my mum and dad.”

“And I like a good battle any day,” added Haley.

Ted alone didn’t seem to agree. He was still so quiet, so fragile-looking.

Jordan looked at him with his dark, serious eyes. “Please smile,” he said. “Please. The last thing we need is two Jordans.” Ted couldn’t help it. He smiled, and suddenly, he was Ted again. “Occlumency lessons later today, I promise,” said Jordan. “But first, I have to do some Telemency.”
End Notes:

If Voldemort's death reminded anyone of Rasputin from Anastasia, then... that's a sheer coincidence. I just saw that movie for the first time yesterday and was struck by the similarity. Ah well.
Chapter 26: In Which Loose Ends Are Tied Up by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
Just remember, I did write this before the seventh Harry Potter book came out!
_______________________
“DADDY!” screamed Emma, propelling herself across the room at the speed of light and jumping into her father’s arms the instant he walked into the room.

“I hope you love me so much that you’ll pay for my chiropractor,” groaned Ron, clapping his daughter on the back and resting his chin on the top of her head. “I missed you, too, sport.” He was pale, there were dark circles under his eyes, and he was unshaven, but there was nothing weak about the broad smile he was wearing.

It was Saturday, and because they didn’t have any classes, Emma and her friends were granted permission to leave school to go to a Welcome Home party for Ron. The Ministry had let him out of Azkaban and replaced the vacancy with a certain Hadrian Bellowes. The Weasley house was packed with people”all of whom cheered and whooped like a crowd at the Quidditch World Cup upon Ron’s entrance.

It was a fantastic party. Haley, Fred, George, and Edwin were demonstrating Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes’ Bungee Beans, the thrill of which never got old (or your money back). Anatoly was showcasing his unexpected skill at making balloon animals, although his unorthodox choices in animals tended to confuse people. Only Anatoly would make balloon okapis, aye-ayes, babirusas, and cassowaries. As he twisted the balloons, he held a deep, serious conversation with three-year-old Jonathan that made no sense whatsoever to anyone else. Cecilia and her parents were drinking punch and chatting amiably, much more warmly than was typical for Cecilia.

Jordan watched them talking and laughing, Neville in his wheelchair and Luna with her milky eyes, and Cecilia suddenly patient and polite. She’d realized that their injuries weren’t signs of weakness, they were badges of courage just as much as Harry Potter’s scar.

Speaking of Harry... Jordan thought about how hard it had been for Emma to let him into her mind. And they were friends, cousins, had known each other their whole lives. Emma trusted him, or at least, as much as she was capable of trusting anyone, which wasn’t very much.

But Jordan’s father had let Voldemort, the evilest creature in the world, into his own mind. He had voluntarily let himself become weak, at Voldemort’s disposal. And he’d had so much love inside him that he’d destroyed Voldemort completely… it was almost impossible for Jordan to wrap his mind around it, and he was generally very talented at doing things with his mind.

He realized suddenly that his dad was standing right behind him. Jordan had spotted the glow of Harry’s brilliant green aura in his peripheral vision. “Hey, what’s wrong?” asked Harry. “You look like you just lost your best friend. Tell me I’m wrong, I paid good money for that computer.” Jordan looked profoundly un-amused, and Harry added hastily. “You’re not offended, are you? You know we all love you.”

Jordan shook his head, like a dog shaking water from its fur. “I’m fine,” he said, ignoring the gentle jab, and paused. “Dad,” he said uneasily. “I love you, too.”

Harry didn’t say anything. Jordan looked up at him and saw to his extreme discomfort that there were tears in his father’s eyes. Jordan did not like tears. And he’d already seen far too many of them far too recently. He blinked.

“Sorry,” said Harry quietly. “I just can’t remember ever hearing you say that before.”

Jordan felt even more awkward than before as Harry messed up his son’s already chaotic hair and headed off to get some food. I can’t remember ever hearing you say that, his father had said.

Jordan had always admired his father, in a strange, jealous way that felt an awful lot like hatred. He knew he could be really unpleasant. But was it really that much of a shock when he told people that he loved them? That would have to change. He remembered the cheesy glowing feeling he’d gotten when Haley had said she loved him because he was her brother, and now his dad had said he loved him as well. Maybe Ivy and Ted and Emma and Tyrone were onto something. Maybe you didn’t need to be a hormonally crazed freak to show a little love from time to time.

Speaking of hormonally crazed freaks, Tyrone seemed to be having a rather interesting little conversation with Emma’s father.

“What do you mean, why didn’t we ask your permission? It’s not like we went and eloped or anything!” exclaimed Emma, though she sounded more amused than angry. “Besides, you kind of weren’t available to ask, if you know what I mean.”

Ron looked stern. “You’re too young, Emma. How can I trust him with you?”

Emma laughed. “I’m seventeen, Dad. You were sixteen when you had your first girlfriend.”

“Yeah, but I was mature for my age.”

Hermione, passing by, let out a great snort.

“Shut up, Hermione.”

Tyrone flashed his most charming smile, which had never failed him before. “Believe me, sir, it took me like four years to get her to go out with me. We didn’t exactly rush into things.”

“I don’t trust kids who call people ‘sir,’” Ron muttered under his breath. “Besides, only old people are called ‘sir.’ I’m not that old.”

“Er, Dad…” began Emma.

“Right,” said Ron rather aggressively, sizing up Tyrone. “Have you ever gotten in trouble in school?”

“Er… only with Zabini,” Tyrone said nervously, “and he’s evil.”

“Can’t stand goodie-goodies,” muttered Ron. Emma and Tyrone exchanged glances, trying hard not to laugh. “Have you ever had a girlfriend before?” barked Ron.

Tyrone shrank back under Ron’s fierce gaze, despite the fact that he was nearly as tall and considerably better-muscled. “Erm… nine-ish, actually…” he mumbled.

“Nine-ish?” repeated Ron in a dangerously quiet voice.

“It’s… easy to lose count,” admitted Tyrone. “I mean, girls kind of just started asking me out since second year, and when you’re twelve or thirteen, having a girlfriend means eating lunch together and walking to class together.” He smiled apologetically. “I haven’t dated anyone since the school year started, though.” This was the wrong thing to say, and Tyrone knew it as soon as it left his mouth.

“Have you ever been in prison?” spat Ron.

Emma laughed again. “No, Dad, but you have. Just lay off him, will you?”

“Look,” said Tyrone, trying another tactic. “My dad, Dean Thomas, he went to school with you, remember? Yeah, he says you’re a good guy. He always thought something was up with Bellowes. Sorry we got into this argument. Dad wouldn’t be too happy if he knew I got you mad the day you got out of Azkaban.”

This made all the difference. Tyrone had always been uncannily talented at finding the way to people’s hearts, even if it took him a few tries.

Ron patted Tyrone on the back. “Oh, it’s all okay,” he said. “Just doing my job, annoying my daughter.” He turned to Emma, smiling. “Take care of him, will you, Emster?”

“Dad!” exclaimed Emma, “I told you not to call me that in front of my friends!”

Tyrone smiled. “I can see where Emma gets it all,” he said. “Thanks, Mr. Weasley.”

As he and Emma walked off across the room, Ron called, “And keep your hands where I can see them!”

“They’re just in my jacket pockets!” exclaimed Tyrone.

Ron grinned. “Yeah, I know. But I’m an Auror, aren’t I? And you know what our first rule is?”

Emma raised one eyebrow, hoping Haley wasn’t anywhere around. “No ogling the Deputy Head Auror’s daughter?” she asked drily.

“No, that’s the second rule,” said Ron.

“Well, then, I’m stumped. What could it possibly be?”

Ron smiled. “CONSTANT VIGILANCE.”

* * * * * *


“Duckling!” exclaimed Haley, sneaking up on Anatoly behind and giving him a surprise hug attack. “What are you doing, sitting off in a corner, playing with balloons and talking about the anthropic principle to a three-year-old? You crazy kid, you!”

She realized, looking at Anatoly, that after all of the time she’d spent with him and all of the help he’d given her in so many ways, he didn’t even look ugly to her anymore. She was sure he wasn’t any better looking than he’d been the day she’d met him, but she’d gotten so used to feeling happy and excited at the sight of that face that she couldn’t remember what she’d ever found so distasteful about it.

Anatoly twisted his balloon back and forth, making obnoxious squeaking noises. “Well, my dear, as a dead man once said, I am a stranger in a strange land. Look at all these Gryffindors! Don’t worry, I’m used to being the weird, left-out kid in the corner. I’m really good at it, too. Practice makes perfect.”

“Why do you TRY to be some kind of weirdo outcast?” demanded Haley. “You are one awesome, adorable guy! Don’t tell me you’re worried people might like you!” She smiled. “Look, I know you like to act like you don’t care about anything, but I just wanted to say thank you for… everything you did for me this year. Especially at the Final Battle, because I’m pretty sure you saved my life. “

“You’re welcome,” said Anatoly, for once sounding borderline serious. “I’ll try not to let this whole ‘selfless’ thing become a habit. It might wreck my Slytherin cred, you see.” He handed Haley his new balloon masterpiece.

“Awww, I love it! What on earth is it?” squealed Haley.

Anatoly shrugged. “It’s called an aye-aye. Apparently, they’re a death omen or something. I think they’re cute.” His eyes drifted over the cr owd, and he did a double take of comical proportions. “Speaking of which, who the devil is that?” he inquired, inclining his head to a whirlwind of bright colours strolling by.

“Oh, that’s Giorgi,” explained Haley. “She lives next door. She’s a Muggle, but she knows all about the whole magic thing, so don’t worry. She’s actually really cool.”

“I may just be in love,” Anatoly told her solemnly.

“Ohhh, no you’re not!” squawked Haley, placing a finger to his lips.

Anatoly smirked. “What? Don’t tell me she’s actually taken.”

Haley treated him to her ‘mysterious face,’ which was still pretty non-mysterious. “Welllll,” she said coyly, “Let’s just say that she may not be officially taken, but she’s still…claimed. Don’t worry, though, I actually don’t think you’d be weird enough for her.”

“I…” Anatoly’s eyes scanned the room, then widened in understanding as they lit upon Jordan. “Ah. I see.”


* * * * * *


Occlumency was amazingly effective, Ted thought to himself as he played absentmindedly with a balloon walrus. Incredibly difficult to learn, of course, though Jordan didn’t seem to feel that way, but once he got the hang of it, he felt the difference.

He didn’t have to fight ‘the wolf’ anymore”he couldn’t help but think of the wolfish part of him as ‘the wolf,’ as if it was someone else inhabiting his body and not just another side to his personality. Occlumency was like underwear”it made such a difference, but once you started using it, you hardly ever noticed it was there anymore. Of course, he’d decided to let his brain run wild and let the wolfish part of him take over whenever it was a full moon, just to keep things fair… though the increased dosage of Wolfsbane potion had kept him from rampaging amok and killing his classmates in their beds. Now that Ivy knew everything, he didn’t worry about having to ‘control’ himself in wolfish form anymore, and she was all right with that.

He was gradually returning to his old self. The Occlumency had helped, and Ivy, as well as the passage of time. But he was still quieter than usual, more withdrawn, less sure of himself”in short, he was uncannily similar to his own father at his age.

Time had been changed so that technically, Ted had never killed Balthazar. But the important thing wasn’t whether it had really happened or not. The important thing was that Ted knew that he was capable of killing, and that concept terrified him.

“Hello,” said a quiet voice. A rather good-looking young man with closely cropped white-blond hair and a set of clean blue-grey robes was standing next to him. It took Ted a minute to realize that it was Ophidias Malfoy, sans the shabby black robes and miserable expression.

“Hi, I’m Ophidias, Ivy’s…” Ophidias trailed off uncomfortably.

“Brother,” said Ted, smiling slightly.

“Yeah, Ivy’s brother,” finished Ophidias, returning the smile. He and Ivy might not legally be siblings anymore, but that didn’t mean they weren’t brother and sister. “So, are you, uh, Ted Lupin?”

Ted flicked his fringe out of his eyes. “Yep, I’m the stoner werewolf boyfriend.”

Ophidias laughed. “Sorry about that. But really, thanks for everything you did for my sister. She’s totally different from how she was when she started off at Hogwarts, and I’m pretty sure it’s because of you.” He paused. “Ivy’s been helping me out all year. She says you must be rubbing off onto her. Anyway, thanks. See you around.” Ophidias waved and headed off across the room to help himself to some cake.

Ophidias certainly seemed a lot happier. Ted remembered a few days before, Haley had exclaimed, “D’you know what the cutest set of couple names ever is?”

“Tyrone and Emma?” Tyrone had suggested innocently.

“No! Ophidias and Ophelia!” Haley had squealed. “Ophidias is going out with Ophelia Wood!”

A Slytherin and a Gryffindor dating”a Malfoy and a Wood. Haley’s Inter-House Unity project had certainly wrought some more impressive changes than simply getting a catchy song stuck in the whole school’s heads.

And Ophidias was thanking Ted for all he’d done for Ivy. Ted was so skilled at making people feel good about themselves. Why couldn’t he just manage it for himself? He had never felt sorry for himself before. He knew it was selfish to keep dwelling on his own problems when there were so many more important things, but he just couldn’t drop it. He hoped this was temporary. Jordan had been right, two Jordans was way too many for one world, and it was even less fun to be Jordan than hang out with him.

“Ted! Hey, Ted!”

He was lifted from his thoughts by his mother’s chipper voice. She came bounding toward him, her hair bright red to honour Ron.

“Hi, Mum,” said Ted, trying to look happy. His mother was a lot like an older Haley at times, which meant she got upset when not absolutely everyone else was at least as perky as she was.

“Sweetheart, your owl Zsa-Zsa delivered the Prophet a minute ago, and there’s an article on the front page that I can’t wait for you to see!” exclaimed Mrs. Lupin, her tone suspiciously close to a squeal.

Ted raised his eyebrows. “Is it about Ron and Emma and stuff?”

“Nope, too new,” Ted’s mother replied brightly. “It’s… oh, just look!” She thrust a rolled-up newspaper into Ted’s hand and he took it and unrolled it with interest.

Reading was not his strongest suit, but it was impossible for anyone to miss the bold headline spreading across the front page of the Daily Prophet.

Zabini Discovers Cure For Lycanthropy


In a remarkable breakthrough already compared by some to the invention of the shield charm, Hogwarts Potions Master Blaise Amadeus Zabini has created a potion that will wipe any traces of wolf DNA from werewolves’ genomes.

Zabini had been privately trying to create an anti-lycanthropy potion for over twenty years, but was not permitted by Madame Maritzka Malinkovsky, former Head of the International Bureau of Potion-makers, to receive a grant for research. In order to have access to more varied ingredients, Zabini applied for a position as Hogwarts Potions Porofessor.

Only within the last year did Madame Malinkovsky step down, and Heinrich Mechthild, the new Head of the IBPM granted Zabini resources and funds for his project.

With this, Zabini established the Mimosa Phelps Foundation for research and experimentation in lycanthropy treatments.

Mimosa “Mimi” Phelps was Zabini’s fiancée, bitten by Fenrir Greyback in her sixth year at Hogwarts. She and Zabini had already been dating for a year at this point. Although both were pure-blooded, Phelps was in Gryffindor and believed in Muggle rights, while Zabini was in Slytherin and did not. Phelps, who did not disclose the fact that she was a werewolf to anyone but her closest friends, did manage to convince her boyfriend to be more tolerant toward part-humans like her and Muggle-borns, but this change was short-lived.

At the age of twenty, Zabini and Phelps were strolling through the woods bordering Phelps’s home on the night of a full moon. They routinely went for a walk in the woods on full moon to let Phelps transform once inside the forest, where no one could see her.

This time, though, the couple was not alone in the forest. A group of Muggle hunters saw the large wolf advancing toward them through the darkness and, panicked, shot and killed Phelps. The death of his fiancée at the hands of ignorant Muggles left Zabini with a permanent grudge against all non-magic people, he says.

“I screamed at them not to shoot her. When the first bullet hit her, I shouted, 'MIMI! Get back here, if you’re going to shoot her, why don’t you come after me as well?’”no one could have said that they didn’t notice I was upset. But they kept shooting anyway. We almost made it through to the edge of the forest before the last bullet hit her,” Zabini relates.

“What was the most disturbing was that even had she been a real wolf and not a girl in a wolf’s body, it is illegal to shoot wolves. And she wasn’t even attempting to attack them.”

Deeply disturbed and disheartened, Zabini, who had never shown the slightest interest in potions before, became obsessed with finding a cure for lycanthropy. Now, after twenty-one years of hard work, the potion is complete.

“We were ninety-nine percent of the way there for years, but we couldn’t get the last ingredient,” says Zabini. “We tried everything, but in the end, it was something so simple that we’d never even thought to try it until then- a potato.”

On June 28th, the potion will be available at Saint Mungo’s Hospital for all werewolves.


Ted stared at the article, drinking it in over and over again. There was a cure. He would be normal again… well, as normal as he’d ever been.

He’d always seen being a werewolf as something that he could make the best of, something he could adapt to and learn to handle for the rest of his life. Never once had the thought struck him that a cure could be produced. He’d known that there was no cure for werewolf bites and never considered that that could change.

When he’d dreamed about the future, he’d taken it for granted that his future self, however happy and successful, would be gaunt, prematurely aged, and occasionally furry and quadrupedal. It had never upset him because he’d never considered an alternative.

But now… he would never have to worry about potions or Occlumency or wolfish moments or phases of the moon or post-transformation fatigue or prejudice ever again. He would spend his seventh year at Hogwarts an average teenager. It was impossible to imagine his life changing so profoundly in such a short space of time.

Ted’s father looked even more shocked than his son. “I always hoped I’d live to see this day,” he choked, not able to tear his eyes away from the paper. “A cure…”

Ted turned to his parents and gathered them both in a massive hug. When he let go, he was beaming, looking more Tedlike than he had all week.

He looked around him for a moment, then, noticing a chair, stood on it and waved his arms for attention. This was rather unnecessary, as Ted was already the tallest person there, but it certainly got everyone’s attention.

“Everybody! Hey, everybody!” he announced. “I have some news…”

* * * * * *


Jordan peered closely at the newspaper, squinting at the picture of Mimosa Phelps and Zabini twenty-something years before. He was glad that Ted and Professor Lupin were going to be cured, and he was rather amused by Zabini’s secret ingredient, but neither of those were what really interested him. Judging by the picture, Mimosa had been a rather pretty girl with long, reddish hair, and Zabini had been the same tall, dark-skinned, and exotic-featured man who now reigned over his Potions class with an iron fist.

Jordan remembered his reoccurring vision about Emma and Tyrone strolling out in the forest on a moonlit night, a cluster of middle-aged men, a loud bang and a horrible scream, and the anguished cry of ““Me! Me! Get back here, if you’re going to shoot her, why don’t you come after me as well?”


He’d been overprotecting Emma almost badly as Ron, terrified out of his wits every time she and Tyrone snuck out of school. But his vision hadn’t been about Emma and Tyrone after all. All along, it had been Zabini and Mimosa Phelps. Especially in the dark, like it had been in his vision, they did look quite similar. And it hadn’t been “Me! Me!” It had been “Mimi.” All the pieces fit.

Being a Seer would be so much easier if all visions were stamped with a sign bearing the exact date on which they had occurred or would happen. He’d spent all year worrying about something that had happened to a teacher he hated twenty years before.

“And what are you deep in thought about now?” said a playful voice from behind him.

He turned around to see a large, ruby-red straw hat topped with ostrich plumes. Somewhere under this turban was the broadly smiling face of Giorgi Anderson.

She was dressed in a bright turquoise t-shirt proudly proclaiming “PANTS,’ skin-tight purple zebra-print trousers, enormous parrot earrings, and saddle shoes with rainbow striped socks. To top it off, she had on a black leather jacket and black rhinestone-studded cats-eye spectacles with no glass in them, as her vision was perfect. Locks of purple hair peeked out from under her hat. As per usual, she looked like no one else on earth. Or from earth.

“Didn’t think you could have a party without me, did you?” she said.

Jordan blinked. “Purple,” he said. What? he thought. How can I say such stupid things?

“It is, isn’t it?” Giorgi exclaimed fondly, fluffing her hair. “School colour, you know. Come on, let’s sit down! I haven’t seen you since December!” She grabbed his wrist and pulled him into a sitting position. Jordan felt weird about sitting on the floor where there were people standing around him, not exactly being fond of feeling short, but he didn’t have time to protest.

“Listen, Jordan, thanks for telling me to stick to football. I won the championship game for my school! And I got named MVP!” She bounced with excitement. “How did you know?”

Jordan cleared his throat. “Well, er, actually,” he began.

“It’s weird, though, everyone wants to hang out with me now,” Giorgi continued thoughtfully. She let out a slightly bitter laugh. “I’ve gone mainstream, if you can believe it! Suddenly, I’m cool. The team captain’s asked me out”remember how I told you, the team’s basically all boys? Yeah, his name’s Ric.”

“Congratulations, then,” Jordan stated awkwardly, feeling the need to say something. Giorgi had paused expectantly, waiting for a response. Once she realized that one had been delivered, she burst out,

“But I turned him down. He wouldn’t look twice at me before I won the game except to make fun of me. I don’t know why he thought I’d want to date him now.” She smiled. “I almost forgot how much I love football. Thanks for having my back.”

Jordan smiled. “So, now you’re popular. Do you consider that good or bad? Because if it is a good thing, then you’re welcome. If it’s a bad thing, then it’s not my fault.”

Giorgi laughed. “I don’t know, it’s weird. I like having more friends, but I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to getting compliments on my clothes. I’ve lost all my shock value! And nobody has anyone to gossip about!”

“If it makes you feel any better, I still worry I’m hallucinating every time I see you,” Jordan said helpfully. “You haven’t lost your shock value where I’m concerned. I’m frankly surprised your parents let you out of the house.”

“Thanks! Interesting how even your compliments are insults!” said Giorgi. “Anyway, I’ve made lots of new friends, but don’t worry, you’re still my best friend.”

My best friend. Those simple words hit Jordan with the impact of the realization that his vision had been about Zabini. He’d forgotten how it felt to have a best friend. Once upon a time, seemingly another life ago, he and Ted had been best friends, before Ted discovered girls and Jordan discovered recreational sulking. Jordan had been such a solitary person for so long”he’d always had friends, of course, but he was always the odd one out”Emma and Haley, Ivy and Ted, Tyrone and everyone in the entire school.

But Giorgi had called him her best friend, and he realized it was true. Jordan had never understood how Haley could spill all of her feelings out to Emma and Ivy, but he’d been sending emails to Giorgi doing almost the exact same thing.

“Well?” said Giorgi. “Aren’t you going to tell me I’m your best friend, too?”

“What?” Jordan was puzzled. “Wouldn’t that be rather obvious?”

Giorgi laughed. “The best thing about you is that you’re the only person I’ve ever met who’s weirder than me, and you don’t even seem to realize just how weird you are.”

“I think I know a lot better than you do how weird I am,” replied Jordan. His voice came out deep and serious, and Giorgi seemed to notice this shift in the tone of the conversation.

“Oh, no, what did you do now?” she laughed. “Last time I heard you sound like that, you told me you were a wizard. What other secrets are you keeping? Got an extra head? Maybe you’re not a guy after all?”

Jordan gave her a tight, grim smile. “Worse,” he said. “It turns out I’m a Seer.”

Giorgi raised one eyebrow after first checking Haley wasn’t too nearby. “As in… crystal balls and tea leaves and palm reading?”

“No,” Jordan said firmly. “Definitely not. As in premonitions, visions, psychic dreams, memories of the past, untapped wisdom, and uncanny intuition. As in Merlin.”

Giorgi laughed, then stopped when she realized that Jordan wasn’t. “Wait, let me get it straight. You’re a Seer? Like Trelawney?”

“Nothing like Trelawney,” said Jordan. “That’s comparable to me saying, you’re a girl, like Pansy Malfoy. I’d have told you earlier that I was a Seer, but… I was still coming to terms with it myself, to tell you the truth. I never believed in that sort of thing. Haley does, and that’s the most convincing evidence I’ve ever heard not to believe in something.”

Giorgi peered at him.

“The number you’re thinking of is forty-two,” Jordan said wearily.

Giorgi made an odd sputtering sound. “That’s not weird or anything,” she said uneasily.

Jordan let out a sigh. Here he was again, alienating people. And how good he was at it, too. “I’m sorry,” he began, “I know this is rather frightening. Emma wouldn’t talk to me for ages when she found out. But I really am a Seer, and I’m not””

“I get the picture!” laughed Giorgi. “I believe you. You’d never make something like that up. You haven’t got the imagination.”

“Interesting how even your compliments are insults,” said Jordan, but he was smiling slightly.

“And I don’t see what’s scary about being a Seer. I mean, yeah, of course it’d be scary for you, but why would it bother me? So long as you don’t go around telling me everything bad that’s ever going to happen to me.”

Jordan squinted at her. “Most people are rather intimidated…” he began.

“I trust you!” exclaimed Giorgi. “I don’t get what the big deal is. Maybe it’s because I’m not magic, but just a few more magical powers don’t make that much of a difference to me. This isn’t a patch on Ted being a werewolf. That freaked me out, but this? Not so much.” She paused. “Besides, I know I could take you down in a fight any day if I had to.”

Jordan looked at her. Her aura was painfully purple, the real reason why he’d said ‘purple’ when he’d first seen her, not her hair, and through it, her face was calm and friendly. “You’re really not bothered at all?” he repeated incredulously.

“Er, noooo. What are best friends for, anyway?”

Jordan beamed, something that was happening more and more frequently these days. That unearthly beauty that came with his smiles shone out of his face, a strange incandescent radiance that even Tyrone never had. And he flung his arms around Giorgi in a tight hug.

When the hug was over, Giorgi held him at arms’ length and stated, “I thought you didn’t believe in hugs.”

The smile never left Jordan’s face. “I don’t like being hugged. I have nothing against instigating them when I want to.”

“But you haven’t instigated any hugs ‘till now, have you?” pried Giorgi.

Jordan shrugged. “I don’t remember. Probably not since I was about ten.”

“Well, for someone who doesn’t hug, you’re very huggable,” stated Giorgi. “How would you feel if I started calling you Mr. Cuddles?”

“I’d feel the way most people do right before bludgeoning someone to death,” Jordan replied slowly and thoughtfully. “Strange nicknames are strictly Haley territory.”

“Well, that’s a relief, the old Jordan’s still there,” said Giorgi. “What with this Seer business and the smiling and the hugging, I was starting to worry. If you said I could call you Mr. Cuddles, I’d think you were possessed.” She straightened her hat. “You know,” she said, “last year, when you told me you were a wizard, you said you’d take me flying sometime on your broom, but we never did get to do that. Can’t we go now?”

Jordan looked around the room, at the buoyantly happy people all around him. They’d all gotten what they wanted. Haley and Anatoly had accomplished Inter-House Unity, gotten a chance to let their true potential shine behind the theatrical goofiness. Emma had come to terms with her buried insecurities and cleared her father’s name. Tyrone had finally persuaded Emma to go out with him. Cecilia was over the embarrassment that her parents had always caused her. Ted would be cured in a matter of weeks. Ivy had realized that she had the strength to protect and console other people as Ted had always done for her.

What about Jordan? All along, his goal had been to discover Telemency, and now he had. But somehow, he felt even more triumphant about being totally accepted by a true friend, who didn’t care about all of the things that made him different. It was sentimental and it was trite, and he’d never admit it in a million years. But it was still true.

“I think flying would be perfect,” he responded, getting up and leading Giorgi toward the door. “And we’ll have plenty of time to catch up. I don’t think I can begin to tell you everything that’s happened lately.”

“Try,” said Giorgi, bobbing along behind him as he made his way toward the broom shed in the backyard.

Jordan sighed. “Well, as you know, my Uncle Ron was incarcerated in Azkaban, and I wanted proof that he was innocent. So, several of my friends from school and I went back in time to the last battle against Voldemort to see what happened between him and Snape, and…”

“Wait a minute.” Giorgi stopped him just as he was removing his broom from the shed. “You went back in time… you know, you always could’ve just borrowed my copy of the seventh Harry Potter book.”

Jordan stared at his friend, his eyes going wide. “I… am… incredibly… stupid…” he said slowly.

Giorgi giggled. “That’s something I thought I’d never hear you say in a million years. Why didn’t I get that on tape?”

Sometimes, thought Jordan as he got Giorgi situated on her broom, magic was overrated. Sometimes, a little intelligence and common sense was all that you needed to get by in life, and no matter how much magic you had, it was no substitute.

His grand plans almost never worked, he’d noticed, no matter how well-constructed. He’d worked out all kinds of complicated magical schemes, but things never went according to plan. Magic was really unpredictable, and it always seemed to be needlessly complicated compared to the simple, nonmagical alternatives that usually worked better anyway. That was why Jordan loved computers… science was science was science, and everything was quantitative, clear-cut, and measurable. He understood science. But the more he knew about magic, the less he understood. The older he got and the more he learned, the more he realized that he really didn’t know very much at all.

But sometimes, Jordan thought as the broomstick jetted across the darkened sky and Giorgi screamed and seized him by the waist, magic had its perks.
End Notes:
Yum.
Chapter 27: In Which Cheesiness Reaches New Heights by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
It's the penultimate chapter, guys! Also... I apologize for the sliiiight "A Very Potter Musical" reference that I edited into this chapter. I promise, it was originally something very, very similar, but I tweaked it after AVPM came out! ______________________________________________


Why do waiting rooms always smell so incredibly weird? thought Ted, shifting in his uncomfortable seat. Why are the chairs always torture devices, and why are they always made of that weird vinyl that always makes you stick to them when you wear shorts? Why are the magazines always called things like Louse Fanciers Monthly or Plumbers’ Digest? And why do I always want to play with the blocks and plastic food that they have in the corner for the little kids?

Waiting rooms were all the same, and the ones at St. Mungo’s were no different. There must have been a hundred werewolves waiting patiently for the vial of potion that would cure them, clutching slips of paper with their numbers on them. It was dizzying to think that there were so many people out there who went through what Ted did every full moon. It made him feel a lot less significant, that was for certain. Many had to have been from foreign countries eager to get the antidote before it was available in their own local hospitals, and Ted could see the nervous anticipation on all of the faces around him.

Quite a few of those faces were maimed and mutilated, some missing eyes or teeth or noses or large chunks of flesh. Most were gaunt and hollowed, and all bore the distinctive smell that only fellow werewolves could recognize.

Ted, who had turned seventeen not long before, had gained a wolf’s sharp sense of smell, restlessness, and keen reflexes, but not much else. He couldn’t stand cooked meat anymore, and he felt ill whenever silver was around, but his mind was no different than it had ever been. Wolfsbane and Occlumency were keeping him sane and keeping him human, and soon he wouldn’t even need them anymore. Surveying the crowd around him, he tried to imagine how they could manage at all without using Occlumency against themselves.

Some of the people in the room wore the defeated, hopeless expressions of self-loathing that signified them as werewolves who had turned their anger against themselves. Ted wondered what their stories were, remembering how he’d lost all faith in himself after killing Balthazar. If it wasn’t for Jordan, he might have still been that way. Others were obviously feral, like Balthazar, blood crusted on their faces and fingernails and their robes frayed and decrepit. They looked out of place in a waiting room, twitching and growling to themselves and smelling incredibly bad. It had never once struck Ted’s mind that the feral werewolves who had embraced their conditions and turned against humanity would want to be cured as well. Maybe even they knew deep down that what they’d been doing was wrong. The idea made Ted feel better somehow, knowing that they were only human after all.

But a surprising number of people in the room just looked ordinary, people who would blend into the background anywhere. There were old and young werewolves, men and women, shabby and well-dressed, werewolves of every race and ethnicity.

“There are so many people here,” said Ivy, voicing exactly what Ted had been thinking. She’d come along for moral support and general company, and Ted was glad. He knew the waiting room would have been completely unbearable without her to talk to.

Ted nodded. “We’re probably going to be here a few hours at least. I wonder how Dad’s doing.” His father’s number had been called along with four others just a few minutes before, and it was a truly bizarre thought to imagine Remus Lupin cured. He’d been a werewolf as long as Ted had known him, as long as anyone still alive had known him, and soon he wouldn’t be anymore. Even weirder was the idea of Ted still a werewolf and his father not, however briefly.

He tried to imagine lying in his bed in the Gryffindor dormitory while moonlight illuminated the patterns on his quilt, or sitting at home eating dinner with his parents, carrying on a perfectly normal conversation while the full moon hung harmlessly in the sky. It was impossible.

The door opened, and Ted looked up. He got a pleasantly warm feeling inside every time he saw an ex-werewolf proudly step through that door, cured and confident and incandescently happy. This time, he saw a rather handsome middle-aged man with long, greying red hair and a rugged face, holding hands with his beautiful blonde wife. Accompanying them were two teenaged girls, one strikingly lovely with short reddish-gold hair, and the other small and bony-looking with dark, curly hair.

It took Ted a minute before he realized who he was seeing. The man was Bill Weasley, unrecognizable without all of the disfiguring scars that had previously criss-crossed his entire face. Werewolf bites never healed, but apparently, the potion fixed that, too. Ted touched his mangled forehead, trying to envision it smooth and unmarred. It was amazing what one potion could do.

The girls were Bill’s daughter Marina and her friend Arden DuBois, chattering amiably in French. But Arden, once so shy and unsure of herself, was vibrant and full of life, her dark blue eyes alight with happiness. The second she saw Ted, she cried, “Theo!”

“Arden! It’s great to see you again!” exclaimed Ted, hugging her. “How are you?”

“Fantastic!” she replied in her delicate French accent. “I cannot believe that… that it’s all over.”

Ivy smiled and gave her a hug as well. “You look great,” she said. “Do you feel any different?”

“You have no idea,” sighed Arden. “Theo, you are seventeen as well?”

Ted nodded sympathetically. “Did you have a hard time, too?” he asked, grinning. It was strange how easy it was to joke about embarrassing wolfish moments, knowing that neither of them would never have another one.

“Are you kidding?” exclaimed Marina. “She was a total… female wolf, if you get my drift. It was kind of cool, actually.”

Arden rolled her eyes, but she didn’t look irritated. She was too giddy. “I hope I will see you again soon, Theo,” she said. “I will be in England all summer.”

“Let’s all do something fun together,” suggested Ted. “Next full moon. Wow, this is so weird.”

“Yes, but I love it,” sighed Arden, hugging Ted again before she and Marina’s family left the hospital and walked out into the bright summer sunshine. Ted shook his head in awe, still completely fascinated that the girl he’d spent so many transformations with the year before was suddenly no more a werewolf than Ivy.

“It’s nice to see her so happy, isn’t it?” said Ivy.

“Yeah, really,” replied Ted, remembering how completely self-conscious Arden had been not too long before. He also remembered how Ivy had once thought that Arden and Ted were dating, how upset she’d been. But apparently, she had no hard feelings against Arden anymore, and that was one of the things Ted liked so much about Ivy.

Just then, two more people burst through the door, and Ted jumped to his feet again. It was his parents, looking completely transformed with happiness. It was a nice change, seeing Remus Lupin transformed due to something other than the presence of a full moon.

“Ted”I did it, I took the potion!” his father shouted, stating the obvious. “I’m completely cured!” Ted laughed and went in for another hug. If he’d been Jordan, he’d have been very annoyed indeed what with all of this hugging, but since he was Ted, he was happy. Ted had never heard his father sound so carefree before in his entire life” in fact, he’d never even heard him raise his voice before.

“Did you know that I’ve never thought of myself as a man?” Remus said quietly.

Ted couldn’t help but burst out laughing. “I think that came out wrong, Dad,” he said.

Remus smiled. “What I mean is, I’ve always thought, I’m a werewolf named Remus Lupin. Now I can think, I’m a man named Remus Lupin. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it is for me.”

He was wrong. It did sound like much. Professor Lupin, even with his loving family and friends, had never considered himself a human being, and that was one of the saddest things that Ted had ever heard.

Even in his worst moments, Ted had never seen himself as anything but a boy. Of course he’d thought of himself as a werewolf, but only in the same way that he thought of himself as a student”an accurate description of him, but not enough to sum up his entire being. Now he realized something that he’d never considered before”his father had raised him to believe in himself and keep focused on his humanity, not because he knew from experience what that was like, but because he wanted Ted to live like a normal person in a way that he never had himself. He’d done a good job, whatever his motives.

Ted and his parents sat together and talked for awhile, about their plans for a party to be held on the next full moon, what the potion was like (disgusting), what questions the Healers would ask, how it felt to be cured. Inside, Ted was restless with anticipation and, for some reason, nervousness. He was dreading his number being called, and he wasn’t sure why.

As the room gradually emptied, Remus checked his watch. “It’s nearly two o’ clock,” he said. “Ted needs something to eat, or he’ll pass out.”

“There’s a tearoom somewhere here,” chipped in Mrs. Lupin. “Ted, would you like it if your father and I brought you and Ivy something to eat while you wait? Though, of course, you might be cured by the time we get back.”

Ted smiled. “That sounds good,” he said. “Just remember I hate Earl Grey tea.”

“Get him decaffeinated,” added Ivy. “He’ll probably be hyper enough as it is after he’s cured, not that I’d blame him.”

Mrs. Lupin kissed her son on the nose. “Be back in a minute then, love. Good luck.”

She and Remus walked out of the waiting room into the hallway, and Ted felt strangely sad. He knew it was childish, especially for a grown wizard of seventeen, but he hoped his parents would be back by the time he took the potion. They’d been with him before at St. Mungo’s when he’d learned he was a werewolf, and it didn’t seem right for them not to be there when the situation was reversed.

“Well, you seem to know a lot of people,” said the boy sitting in the chair next to Ted. Ted blinked. He hadn’t consciously noticed the boy until then. “What did you do, bite everyone you know?”

Ted laughed. “I don’t think they’d be so friendly to me if I did.”

“Ah, well, you’re English, aren’t you? I guess you’d know more of these guys,” said the boy. He had an accent of some sort, and he was dressed in Muggle clothes, jeans and a t-shirt with some band name on it that Ted hadn’t heard of. He was slightly shorter than Ted and nearly as thin, though unlike Ted, he had an athletic, wiry look about him. His skin was darker than Tyrone’s, and his hair formed a dense cloud around his head. He wore glasses and was reading a comic book.

“Yeah, I live nearby,” said Ted. “I’m Ted Lupin, by the way.” He held out his hand to be shaken, something that normal teenagers didn’t often do, though the other boy took it in stride.

“Magnus Desmoulins,” the boy responded, “from Winnipeg”that’s in Canada.”

Ted raised his eyebrows. “That’s really far to come.”

“I know, but they’re not giving out the antidote in Canada and the U.S. for a few more weeks, after the next full moon. I wasn’t putting up with that.” Magnus grimaced. “My parents think I’m on a debate tournament. I told them I joined debate after I got bitten so they wouldn’t suspect anything. Though they have been putting out traps for wolves ever since they started hearing howling around the woods behind our house.”

Ted stared. He couldn’t imagine being able to hide something so big from his parents. “Haven’t they noticed that you only go to debate on full moons?” he asked.

Magnus shrugged carelessly and folded his arms behind his head. “They don’t have any idea what’s going on. They’re Muggles. So am I, for that matter.”

“Really?” Ivy asked, leaning forward. “I didn’t know Muggles could be werewolves!”

“I didn’t know anyone could be a werewolf,” said Magnus. “I was at this party when I was fourteen”I’m seventeen now”and this wolf comes out of nowhere and attacks me and chews up half my chest. Everyone thought it was a rabid stray dog or something, but I wake up the next day in this weird hospital, and there are all these people standing around to tell me about magic, saying that Harry Potter’s real and I got bitten by a werewolf. And next thing I know, I’m turning into a wolf on full moons, getting dumped by my girlfriend, and getting kicked off the varsity basketball team for attacking this guy on the other team. Funny, I always thought it would be really cool to be a werewolf”back before I knew they were real, of course”but it’s kind of a pain to hide it.”

Ted let out a low whistling sound. Magnus had been the same age as Ted when he’d gotten bitten, and they were the same age now, but the rest of the story was so completely unlike Ted’s own. “That’s got to be hard,” he said. “Everyone knows I’m a werewolf. I pretty much told the whole school when I got back from the hospital. ‘Course, my dad’s a werewolf, too…” He paused, reminding himself of the weirdness of the situation. “Well, he was a werewolf, now he’s cured. But anyway, I grew up knowing all about werewolves and stuff, so I wasn’t too upset.”

“Your sister a werewolf, too?” asked Magnus.

Ted squinted. “No, she’s not. Neither is my brother. How did you know I had a sister?”
He wondered if maybe Magnus was a Seer on top of a werewolf. Could Muggles even be Seers?

“Well, it’s kind of obvious,” Magnus answered, gesturing vaguely toward Ivy.

Ivy looked uncomfortable, exchanging glances with Ted. “Er… I’m not his sister,” she replied awkwardly. “I’m… his girlfriend.”

“Oh.” Magnus blushed, looking just as uncomfortable as Ivy did. “Wow, uh, sorry about that. I just thought… you know, werewolf…” Ted got it. People were usually surprised to find out that he had a social life. In most people’s imaginations, werewolves were loners and outcasts, and from what he’d seen, a lot of werewolves took that to heart and made themselves loners and outcasts. He was a Prefect with a close-knit circle of friends, a girlfriend, and a good home life. No wonder he confused people.

“At my school, people just think I’m a psycho,” muttered Magnus. “Especially since I spazzed out on one of my teachers… that wasn’t a good day. And I’m pretty sure everyone thinks I’m some huge junkie or something”you must get that a lot, too, eh?”

Ted laughed. “Yeah, Ivy’s, er, Ivy’s brother still calls me the Stoner Werewolf Boyfriend. I’m used to it, though.”

“I wouldn’t mind it if someone called me that,” said Magnus. “Though it’s not like I’m gonna be anyone’s boyfriend or anything anytime soon, not with my reputation.”

The conversation probably could have gotten even more awkward, but just then, a Healer bearing a clipboard called out, “Eighty-six, eighty-seven, eighty-eight, eighty-nine, ninety.”

“Eighty-eight, that’s me,” said Ted, standing up.

Magnus stood up as well. “I’m eighty-nine. This should be interesting.”

After sitting in the waiting room chair for so long, Ted felt a lot like he often did after transformation, achy and stiff, and he felt a bit dizzy as he got to his feet. He hoped that this was just head rush from standing up and that he wasn’t about to pass out”though, of course, if he had to pass out anywhere, a hospital would be his prime choice.

“I’m coming with you,” said Ivy, getting up as well and taking Ted’s hand. “I want to be there when you take the potion, especially since your parents are down at the tea shop.”

As Ted made his way toward the door, he saw a small girl in a pink frilly dress holding hands with her mother. Her curly blond hair was pulled into two pigtails, and she was holding a ‘get well soon’ balloon. “Eighty-six, that’s me!” she exclaimed, doing a little dance that reminded Ted a lot of Haley. As Ted walked past her, she stopped where she was and stared up at him. “Wow, Mister, you’re tall!” she exclaimed. “Are you a giant?”

Ted laughed and squatted down to the little girl’s level like some kind of preschool teacher. “No, sorry,” he said. “But I can say fee-fi-fo-fum, if it makes you feel better. So long as I don’t have to grind anyone’s bones.”

It was then that he noticed the little girl’s face, and wondered how he hadn’t before. Her entire face was a mangled mess of scars and open wounds, nearly as bad as Cassius Balthazar’s. It was one thing to see such a horrible face on a wild, rugged-looking man, but on a little girl, it was just tragic. He couldn’t imagine how her mother must feel.

The little girl giggled. “You’re funny. I’m Basilia Cartwright, and I like you,” she announced. “I’m five and one-sixth, and Daddy says I can have a pony of my own when I’m ten. Are you ten?”

“Even older,” said Ted gravely. “I’m seventeen, can you believe it?”

“You’re really old!” shrieked Basilia, clapping her hands gleefully. “Can I kiss you?”

Her mother smiled nervously. “I’m sorry about Basilia,” she sighed. “She can get rather… excitable. She doesn’t realize that she…”

“No, it’s okay,” Ted said quickly, “so long as my girlfriend doesn’t mind.” He looked up at Ivy, smiling, and she smiled back. “Go ahead,” she said. In the background, Magnus was valiantly attempting to keep himself from laughing by cramming both fists in his mouth.

The little girl stood on her tiptoes”although Ted was squatting, he still managed to tower over her”and gave him a dainty little kiss on the cheek. “You’re a nice man,” she saidTed wasn’t sure why, but that simple compliment from a little girl was bizarrely touching. Maybe it was because just moments before, his own father had said he’d never thought of himself as a man, or maybe it was because after killing Balthazar, he hadn’t felt very nice. Or maybe it was because in a room full of werewolves, no one saw him as strange or unusual in any way.

“Hurry along now, Basilia, and say goodbye to your new friend,” said her mother, giving Ted a tired smile. “We have to get your medicine, and this nice boy and his friends have to get theirs, too.”

“Mummy, why do I have to?” whined Basilia as she was led away. “I hate medicine. Especially cherry! It doesn’t even taste like cherries! It tastes like Ick!”

Her mother sighed again. “It’ll make you better, dear. It’ll cure you so you won’t be a werewolf anymore.”

Basilia pouted. “Why?” she demanded, stamping her little foot. “I don’t need a cure! I’m not sick! I like turning into a wolf, it’s fun!”

“You have a beautiful daughter,” Ted told Mrs. Cartwright as a Healer led him to one room and directed the Cartwrights to another. Mrs. Cartwright looked deeply astonished, having clearly never been told anything like that before about her hopelessly disfigured daughter, but Ted wasn’t just talking about her face. Basilia acted like any other little girl, confident, childishly selfish, and precocious. She didn’t let being a werewolf bother her. In fact, she liked being a werewolf, didn’t see anything wrong with having the exciting talent of turning into a wolf once a month. In a way, Ted was glad she’d never have to face the reality of what it meant to be a werewolf once she turned seventeen… but another part of him couldn’t help but feel a little bit sad.

“See you around, Magnus,” said Ted. “Oh”wait”” He pulled a scrap of paper out of his pocket and scribbled something on it. “I know this girl, Giorgi… I think you might get on well with her. She’s a Muggle, too, but she knows about magic… it’s a long story, but she’s really cool. And she loves getting email.”

Magnus smiled. “Thanks, man. I’ll drop her a line. Well… here goes. Potion time, I guess.” He waved goodbye as he and Ted made their ways toward their respective rooms.

Ted felt an odd pang of sadness as he stepped into the room. Being in a room with so many other werewolves, he’d felt like part of some sort of exclusive group. He and his father and Magnus Desmoulins and Basilia Cartwright and everyone else in the room had had something in common that united them, and soon they wouldn’t anymore. He’d been a werewolf for only two and a half years, but it felt like much longer. It was who he was, and he’d gotten used to it, and now he’d have to get used to being normal again.

“Hello!” chirped the Healer, a blonde woman with a round, cheery face. “I’m Healer Sparrow.”

“I’m Ted Lupin,” said Ted, sitting on the examination table, “and this is Ivy. I hope it’s okay I brought company?”

“Perfectly fine,” Healer Sparrow assured him. She looked more closely at Ted, tapping her chin with one finger. “I’m sorry, but you look so familiar. Have I seen you before?”

Ted shrugged. “I don’t know. I’ve, er, met a lot of people… I’m really sorry if I don’t remember you…”

“Ted Lupin… Ted Lupin… oh my gosh!” Her eyes lit up. “I do remember you! You came in with a werewolf bite what, two, three years ago? We were just talking about you earlier today. You really brightened up the place!” She laughed. “I should’ve recognized you, but you look so different! You’ve gotten so tall and thin! You’re not that little boy I remember!”

Ted gave her an embarrassed smile. It quickly grew even more embarrassed as Healer Sparrow continued, “And… no, I don’t believe it!” She pointed at Ivy. “You’re that nice little girl who came to visit him on Christmas Day and brought him the present and those hilarious antlers! And you’re still together…awww, how sweet!”

After so much gushing, it was a bit of relief to get down to business and have his height, weight, and blood pressure taken. Privately, though, Ted had to admit that he was rather proud that Healer Sparrow remembered him from so long before. It couldn’t have been fun for her to be called away from her Christmas dinner for something as depressing as a werewolf attack, but if she remembered him in a positive light, he had to be doing something right.

After recording all of the necessary numbers, which were apparently important in order to determine the dosage of the potion, Healer Sparrow poured a glutinous orangey-yellow potion into a flask and pulled out a piece of paper and a quill. “You’ll have to sign this before you take the potion,” she said. “Standard procedure. You’re seventeen, so you don’t need your parents to sign for you.”

Ted took the potion and the paper, feeling pterodactyls flap around inside his stomach. This was it. All he had to do was scrawl his name on the line and choke down the potion and he’d be totally, completely normal…

“No,” he heard a man’s forceful voice say. It took him a minute before he realized that the voice was his own. Ivy and Healer Sparrow were both staring at him like he’d just crawled out of a swamp. “No,” he repeated, more confidently, setting down the flask of potion.

“But… Ted, don’t you want to be cured?” Ivy asked gently.

“I’m not sick,” said Ted. What Basilia had said earlier had struck a chord with him. He’d spent these last few years as a werewolf trying to make other people understand that just because he was a werewolf, he wasn’t a bad person. Wasn’t rushing out to take a cure hypocritical? “What’s so bad about being a werewolf, anyway?”

Healer Sparrow shook her head, her eyes full of concern. “Ted… don’t tell me you’re siding with the feral werewolves,” she said in a soft, wounded voice. “You’re too good of a person to let the wolf inside of you take control.”

“I’m in control of myself,” Ted insisted, “but there isn’t a wolf inside me. It’s all just me in there. Even people who aren’t werewolves have to use some self-control, don’t they?” He sighed. “I know, I know, it sounds weird, but I’ve gotten used to being a werewolf. It was hard at first, but it’s part of me now. I’ve worked hard enough to be the way I am… I don’t think I have to change now.”

He realized that there were tears in Ivy’s eyes. But she didn’t look sad or worried, she looked proud, and that made him want to continue on.

“I think I’m lucky”I mean, I love animals. Who wouldn’t want the chance to get to be one? And once a month, I can just… go crazy and run around and see everything from a different point of view for a change. I know there are loads of Muggles who wish they were werewolves.” He looked up at the Healer with his big, light blue eyes, eyes that always retained a look of childish innocence even at the age of seventeen.

“I sound cheesy, I know I do. Everything I’m saying is a cliché. But I’m… I’m this endangered species, you know? I just think it’s sad that soon, there won’t be any werewolves left in the world, maybe one or two feral ones, but no more normal people like me. I mean…I’ve always really liked surprising people by doing things for them, showing them that werewolves aren’t all bad. It’s fun to change the way people see things. If we all take this potion, it’s like saying… it’s like saying all the prejudiced people were right, that werewolves are evil and dangerous and don’t belong in society.”

The Healer’s expression grew more and more mystified the more he talked. Ted didn’t see what was so difficult to understand about what he was saying.

“I know I might end up being the last werewolf in the world,” he said. “I’m okay with that. I like being different, I really do. For a long time, I always just kind of felt… lost. Everyone else I know has some big thing they’re really into… I was just this nice, awkward guy who didn’t stand out at anything. I don’t really have any cool talents or skills or anything, and I don’t have a big hobby, and I felt like I wasn’t special. It wasn’t ‘til after I got bitten that I actually got confident enough to think, ‘Yeah, people can be gits because they don’t understand me, but they don’t know what they’re missing.’ Everyone knows who I am… there are even kids at my school who really look up to me. I used to feel like I was important enough for anybody to care about, but now I have this cause, you know? It’s like I want to get to know everybody so they’ll realize werewolves can be regular nice guys after all. It’s amazing how many friends you can make that way.”

Unconsciously, he rubbed the mass of scar tissue on his temple. “Being one of the last werewolves… I don’t care if people think I’m a freak show. If the Daily Prophet wants to talk to me, I’ll talk with them and maybe people can read what they write and learn something. And if you want, I can always come down here so you can do some tests on me and maybe write a paper about it or something”no one really knows much about werewolves except for other werewolves. I didn’t even know about all the stuff that happens when you turn seventeen. It’s not in any of your textbooks, is it?”

“Is that what this is all about?” asked Healer Sparrow, her eyes widening. “Oh, Ted, don’t tell me that you don’t think you can get a job! Once you’re cured, no one will discriminate against you. You don’t need to be a medical test subject to support yourself.”

Ted laughed calmly. “No, I was just volunteering to do that! For free! Actually, for awhile, I’ve really wanted to be a Healer. I know I’m not the brightest bloke around and I’ll have to work twice as hard to get the job, but I’ve been a patient so many times that I feel like it’d only be fair. And like I said, I like to help people.”

“But you don’t want to be cured?” asked Healer Sparrow, looking stunned. “You seem like the best-adjusted person I’ve seen all day, but you want to stay a werewolf?”

“Yep,” he replied cheerfully. “And if I ever change my mind, I can always come back take the potion, right?”

Healer Sparrow blinked. “Er… yes,” she said, still sounding shell-shocked.

“Thanks so much, then,” said Ted, hopping down off of the examination table. “And I really am sorry for wasting so much of your time! Thanks for listening, too. Good luck with the rest of your patients!”

As he turned to go, Healer Sparrow called, “Ted!”

Ted spun back around. “Yes?”

The Healer was smiling. “I’ll let you know when there’s a vacancy for a new trainee,” she said.

Ted returned the smile warmly. “That would be great.”

Walking into the waiting room, he felt even taller than usual, like he was floating above the waiting room, with his head dangerously close to grazing the ceiling. But as he saw all of the people still sitting there, he felt a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. Slowly, he turned to Ivy. “You don’t mind that I want to stay the way I am, do you?” he asked. “Because if you want, I can go right back in there and take that potion, I really can. I understand if you don’t want to me to risk it.”

“Of course not,” she said softly. “Actually… I didn’t want to say anything, but I really didn’t want you to take the potion. It just seemed like a cop-out to me, after all this time. And…” She smiled bashfully. “You’re so adorable as a wolf.”

“I knew that was it!” exclaimed Ted. “I was right when I said the day I got bitten that girls love guys with scars on their foreheads!”

Ivy took his hand, laughing. “Well, that’s part of it. But… I kind of feel like this whole werewolf thing…brought us together. Full moons, they’re our special time. I didn’t just decide to be an Animagus so I could get that O plus in Transfiguration.”

Ted grinned. “I hope my dad still holds that party next full moon. I’m going to run around as a wolf freaking everyone out.”

“You should wear a little wolf-sized tuxedo, too!” added Ivy. “And sit at the table!”

They were so deep in conversation that they didn’t even notice the man who was walking back into the waiting room behind them. He still clutched the slip of paper that identified him as number eighty-seven, and wore a set of neat but threadbare robes. He was old, with long grey hair and a beard, but he was broad-chested and muscular. This, coupled with the eye patch he wore over one eye and his weather-beaten face, gave him the look of a retired sea captain.

“Excuse me?” he said. His voice was surprisingly high pitched, marked by a rather fussy-sounding upper class accent.

Ted turned around. “Yes?”

“I know this sounds absolutely absurd…” began the man, rather nervously, “but I feel rather as though I know you from somewhere…”

“I get that a lot,” Ted said politely.

“Is… your name Ted, by any chance?” asked the man. “Ted Lupin?”

Ted nodded, trying to figure out if he knew this man. Something about him did seem very familiar. The voice, and a certain something in his face. But he was almost sure he’d never known anyone with an eye patch, or he’d remember it.

“Take this as the word of a foolish old man, but when I was younger, nearly twenty-five years ago, I worked for Lord Voldemort.” He shook his head. “Incredibly idiotic, I know, but I thought it was the only option for a werewolf. I let myself lose control. But… ever since the day Lord Voldemort died, I’ve been having the strangest of dreams. Nearly every night, I dreamed that a young werewolf named Ted Lupin was there at the battle and told me I was wrong… and then, every night, just before I woke up, he killed me.”

Ted gaped, and the room spun around him. “Cassius Balthazar?” he asked, his mouth going dry.

“Yes… I assume you’ve heard of me. I did do some dreadful things in my youth, but I’m now an author. Maybe you’ve read my memoirs? I’ve never heard of dreams changing anyone’s lives, not in any lasting way, but the dreams… well, they were so real. I never assumed I’d actually meet a Ted Lupin… but, of course, you couldn’t have been at the battle. You’re far too young. I don’t know what I’m thinking.”

Ted felt as though he was about to pass out. Cassius Balthazar, the man he’d killed twenty-three years before in an alternate universe, was standing in front of him. And he’d had nightmares every night about meeting Ted. This Balthazar was humble and apologetic, no animal wildness in his single scummy blue eye. And more importantly… he was thanking Ted… thanking him for years of unimaginable nightmares.

And he was unrecognizable. He looked almost like any other man Ted might see on the street. Although the potion hadn’t been able to do anything for his missing eye, all of the scars and gashes covering his face had completely disappeared, and he made a much more civilized impression when not covered in festering dried blood.

“I know I sound as though I’ve lost my mind,” said Balthazar, looking slightly desperate. He rummaged in the pocket of his robes and pulled out a shredded piece of cloth. “But… is this yours?”

Ted stared. In the man’s hands was a tattered t-shirt splattered with ominously pink and grey stains. It was stiff with filth and age, definitely not wearable anymore. It had been carried around in the man’s pocket for nearly a quarter-century.

But Ted recognized it. It was the shirt he had left at the Final Battle.

* * * * * *


“Excuse me, ma’am,” Ivy called after a Healer bustling down the hallway ahead of her, “Which way to the permanent residents’ ward?”

She had told Ted that she had to use the restroom. Ted, still rather stunned by the logical impossibility of meeting the man he’d killed and holding the bloody shirt, had needed some time to sit down, anyway. But the real truth was, as much as Ivy loved and trusted Ted, she knew that she had to do what she was about to do alone.

“It’s this way,” said the Healer, “but it’s locked. It’s a good thing you found me, or you wouldn’t be able to visit your…”

“My father,” Ivy supplied hesitantly, unable to think of the right word.

“Oh.” A crease appeared between the Healer’s eyebrows. “I wish I could do something for you, but…”

“It’s all right,” Ivy said quietly. She followed mutely behind the Healer down the hall, and waited with patience as the Healer fumbled around for the proper key. The truth was, she was incredibly nervous. She didn’t want to do this, but she couldn’t go to St. Mungo’s without paying a visit to Draco Malfoy.

As soon as she stepped into the room, though, she began to have second thoughts. She’d never seen a sadder sight than a room crowded with broken, mindless people lying in bed after bed, some talking in garbled gobbledygook, others rocking babies that didn’t exist or repeating inane phrases over and over and over again. One elderly woman thrust a sweet wrapper at Ivy as she passed as though it was an amulet that would ward her off.

The most disturbing sight, though, was the man lying in the far corner of the room.Draco Malfoy was neither awake nor asleep, alive nor dead. His empty grey eyes, so like Ivy’s, stared vacantly at the ceiling, his mouth lolling open. He was drooling slightly, and his long blond hair lay in uncombed tangles on his pillow. He had once been a good-looking man, not so much handsome as pretty, but now he looked like a badly-made wax sculpture, not lifelike enough to put on display in even the seediest of wax museums.

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly, feeling a lump well up in her throat. She took a deep breath. This was the hardest thing she’d ever done. “I have a new family now, but you were once my dad… and you did a good job taking care of me and Ophidias. We both miss you. I didn’t want to admit it. I thought that if I did, it’d make me evil, and I really wanted to do the right thing. But…you… you did some really bad things in your life, but you didn’t deserve this, nobody does. You weren’t a good person… but you were a good dad. I wanted to say goodbye”I never got the chance to before. I… love you.” She bent down and kissed the vacant shell of a person in the bed on the forehead. She knew he couldn’t hear or understand a word she had just said, but that didn’t matter. What was important was that she had finally said it, finally settled everything that had been bothering her.

Draco Malfoy was gone. What was lying in the bed wasn’t Draco Malfoy, it was an old house that Draco had moved out of long ago. But he’d deserved a suitable goodbye, no matter what he’d done, and Ivy had deserved the chance to say it.
End Notes:
Y'all ready for the Epilogue? I know I am!
Epilogue: There And Back Again by Schmerg_The_Impaler
Author's Notes:
OH MY GOOD GRACIOUS, THIS THING IS OVER! I've been writing this trilogy since I was thirteen, and now I'm nearly eighteen! Holy smokes, this is the strangest feeling ever! Uh... here, have an epilogue! Lyrics are from Grease the musical and by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, not me.

__________________________________________
“Wake me up in five or six years when he’s done, okay?” moaned Emma, checking her watch.

“He’s barely been talking two minutes,” Ivy whispered back.

The summer after sixth year had gone by in a blur, and before anyone knew it, they were back at Hogwarts. Seventh year had been charmingly uneventful, and after everything they had been through, even N.E.W.T.s didn’t seem like too much of a challenge. It was strange and surreal, though, sitting in the Great Hall one last time for a graduation feast”just the notion that none of them would ever come back was enough to send chills down anyone’s spines.

Jordan had, rather predictably, been selected as Head Boy, and that meant he had the dubious privilege of making a speech. It was admittedly not as long-winded or boring as it might have been, but since it was, after all, Jordan, it still managed to be just pedantic enough to make Emma hit her head repeatedly against the table.

“He keeps talking about how we’ve all changed,” said Haley. “Well, I mean, of course we’ve changed. If we hadn’t, our underwear would smell really bad by now.” Emma and Tyrone went into hysterics, and Ted even had to stifle a laugh. Leave it to Haley to make such immature jokes even when she was old enough to graduate.

“I think we should all listen,” Ivy said, almost too politely. “He deserves it. Besides, it might get more… interesting. ”

Emma and Haley exchanged glances. Even for Ivy, this was going a little bit far. She was normally considerate, of course, but no one was considerate enough to give Jordan respect. And to suggest that he might say something interesting was completely preposterous.

“We’ve all learned so much,” Jordan was saying, “and not just from our classes. We’ve learned from each other, and we’ve learned from our experiences. We’ve learned not just””

But suddenly, he was stopped mid-platitude by a rather exciting explosion of sound and colour. All of the windows in the Great Hall flew open, and swarms of Billywigs winged their way in, accompanied by a few hundred multi-coloured parrots shrieking random phrases at the top of their lungs. As the Billywigs made their way around stinging everyone as much as possible”Billywig stings didn’t hurt, but they did make their victims levitate several inches off of the ground”and the parrots took the liberty of pooping on anything they came across, all of the balloons decorating the Great Hall burst at once, showering the assembly with gallons of chocolate pudding, whipped cream, sprinkled, and maraschino cherries.

One Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes Wildfire Whizbang firework after another after another illuminated the enchanted ceiling, on which the stars and planets had mysteriously rearranged to spell out, “CLASS OF 2021 RULES! TT + EW FOREVER. PROFESSOR ZABINI SHOULD… WELL, YOU KNOW THE REST.” Every hat in the room was exploded and showered confetti down on the Great Hall.

And as if that weren’t enough, a slide-show of embarrassing and hilarious pictures of various students and staff was flashing across all of the walls of the Great Hall, accompanied by the singing of a mysteriously familiar voice.

“We go together, like ramma-lamma-lamma, kadingity ding dong
Remembered forever as shoo-bop-shoo-wadda-wadda yippity-boom-de-boom
Chang chang, changity chang shoo bop, that’s the way it should be-eee…
Wahooo…. YEAH!”


“What the…” said Emma, levitating a foot above her seat and covered in sundae decorations, bird feces, and confetti.

“What was…”

“How…”

“Who…”

“Did you…”

A cacophony of equally puzzled voices rang out, all talking at once.

“Anatoly did the slide show and I did the song, but that’s it,” Haley exclaimed. “I swear, I didn’t know anything about the rest!”

“I did the parrots,” said Emma. “Don’t ask me about the Billywigs.”

Ted raised his hand, smiling sheepishly. “That would be me,” he said.

Ivy smiled. “And I made everyone’s hats explode, and I did the fireworks.”

Haley shook her head. “We’re such a bad influence on you,” she laughed. “I can’t believe you did that all on your own, Ivy. You saw me scream and fall off the bench when the hat exploded.”

“I think it’s pretty obvious that I did the ceiling,” Tyrone volunteered. “Sticking my own initials on it was a dead giveaway. But… who did the balloons? Those were genius!”

Up on stage, Jordan was even more covered in gook than anyone else in the Great Hall, his speech and credibility completely and utterly ruined. But he was… smiling? “I hope you all enjoyed the balloons I rigged,” he said. “I would be a pretty poor Head Boy if I didn’t follow in the footsteps of my grandfather James. Good night, everyone.”

And amid all of the chaos and noise, everyone in the Great Hall cheered and threw their hats in the air. Rabbits leaped out of every hat.

“Oh, that was me, too,” Jordan added shyly.

“We’re for each other like a wop-bamma-loo-mop, a wop-bam-boo
Just like my brother, like
Chang-chang, changity chang shoo-bop, we’ll always be like one
Wa-wa-wa-one!”


* * * * * *


“I still think it’s incredibly cool that we each came up with a prank, all on our own,” Haley squealed later that day, still clutching her diploma but cleaned up. Although the graduation ceremony had already occurred, the Hogwarts students wouldn’t actually leave the school until the next day. They had the rest of the night and the next morning to pack up their things and (more typically) party straight through the night.

Haley had brought three suitcases at the beginning of the year, and that didn’t seem like nearly enough anymore. Her things seemed to have multiplied tenfold, and even with the help of Emma and Tyrone jumping up and down on the lids of her suitcases, it was quite impossible to get them to shut. Haley was basking in the glow that came with being unanimously voted for the title of “Most School Spirit” by her fellow Gryffindors in the House Common Room party.

I personally liked the ceiling,” Emma said, smiling at Tyrone. “Not exactly suave, but original.”

“Hey, Suave is my middle name,” replied Tyrone.

Emma poked him, almost making him fall off of Haley’s suitcase. “I thought it was Jonathan.”

“It’s actually Vincent,” said Tyrone, looking a bit wounded. “But you know what I mean. Besides, I got voted ‘Most Suave’ at the Gryffindor House Party. You’re just jealous because ‘Scariest Lady’ isn’t as cool.”

Emma rolled her eyes. “Oh, I don’t know. You have your moments, but you didn’t seem that suave last summer when you took me to that Muggle cinema, and they had that dispenser for hot cheese that you could put on your popcorn or nachos, and you decided to show off and pump it right into your mouth. And then, of course, the cheese was too hot, so you ran around screaming like a girl and waving your arms with hot cheese coming out of your mouth like you had some weird kind of rabies.”

Haley giggled so hard that she gave herself hiccups. Emma had taken the opportunity to tell and retell that story ever since it had happened, but it still made Haley laugh every time. The image of Tyrone terrifying unsuspecting Muggle filmgoers by running around gargling nacho cheese was so funny that Haley was still upset that she hadn’t been there at that particular movie.

“Hey, screaming and running around with a mouth full of cheese is a courting ritual in the land of my father’s ancestors,” said Tyrone in a smooth, serious voice. “Whoever keeps the cheese in his mouth the longest gets the girl. The custom is, if the cheese is too hot for you, so is the girl.”

Emma laughed. “Really?”

“No.”

“Too bad,” sighed Emma. “It should be. I personally found that incredibly attractive.”

“Really?”

“No.”

Haley groaned, bopping Emma on the end with her diploma. “You’re not going to kiss again, are you?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. She froze, and Emma and Tyrone both stopped where they were and stared at her. “I… I did it…” whispered Haley. “I… RAISED… ONE… EYEBROW!” She then proceeded to let out the biggest ‘squee’ of her life, hugged Emma, spun around in a dizzy circle, sang an incredibly loud High C, gave Tyrone a kiss on the cheek (“Don’t you infringe on my property!” Emma had exclaimed in an extremely Ronnish manner”), and… passed out.

Emma and Tyrone exchanged glances.

“That was dramatic,” said Tyrone.

“That was Haley,” said Emma. She paused, prodding Haley’s unconscious body with her toe. “You know…” she said slowly. “Haley’s out cold. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

Tyrone smiled evilly. “Does it involve scientific experiments?”

“I would have to say it does.”

Snogging ensued.
* * * * * *


Unfortunately for Ted and Ivy, they’d been absent from Haley’s moment of triumph and victory. The night of graduation was a full moon, and they were taking the opportunity before the moon rose to pack up everything in the Shrieking Shack. It was strange to think that they’d never come back to the Shrieking Shack, that once they left Hogwarts, they would have to celebrate full moons elsewhere.

As Ted organized the last of his comic books, he turned to Ivy and said, “Hey… guess what I found earlier today?”

“Your other lobster sock?” guessed Ivy. Ted had once had a pair of lucky socks with lobsters on them, but he’d lost one of them in his first year. Of course, they were ridiculously tiny for him now, but the idea that one missing sock had been hiding somewhere in the school had always irritated him. Now that he was packing up everything, there was a good chance that he’d end up finding his lobster sock somewhere.

But Ted shook his head. “No,” he said, “Actually, I found my first grey hair.” He smiled. “I’m turning into my dad.”

“Grey hair?” exclaimed Ivy. Something seemed so weird about the idea. Wizards generally lived longer than Muggles, and they usually aged more slowly, too. She hadn’t noticed much grey in her own father’s hair.

“I think it’s partly hereditary,” Ted shrugged. “But mostly, it’s because I’m a werewolf, of course.”

Ivy had forgotten. She’d always known that werewolves aged prematurely, that the strain of transformation wasn’t good for human bodies, but she’d never really thought about that in conjunction with Ted. “Do you wish you’d taken that potion?” she asked.

Ted laughed. “Ivy, if I cared about the way I looked, I would’ve taken that potion a long time ago. No, I’m really glad I didn’t. But… I don’t know, finding grey hair is just weird. It’s weird enough that we’re graduating. I feel really old all of a sudden”it’s like that Basilia girl said. I remember when I thought ten was old.”

“I know,” Ivy said quietly. “I remember when Jordan wasn’t a Seer and Emma and Tyrone hated each other and you… you were shorter than your dad and you sounded a lot like Haley.”

“I remember the first time I had transformation in here and it scared the living daylights out of you,” added Ted.

Ivy smiled dreamily, sitting back on the floor. It was really odd to think about being scared of Ted, in any incarnation. She hadn’t known what to expect that first night, and that first shock of watching the boy she knew turn into a completely different animal had completely overwhelmed her. But she’d gotten so used to it now that it was hard to remember how she had felt. “I’m really going to miss being here,” she said at last. “I know it sounds kind of weird, but I’ve gotten so used to being here every full moon, and… now this is the last one.”

“It doesn’t have to be,” said Ted. His voice sounded strange, nervous and tight. It was such an abrupt shift from the tone of the conversation that Ivy stared at him. Ted was swaying nervously from foot to foot in a truly strange way, the corner of his mouth twisted. He was blinking rapidly, his hands clasped awkwardly behind his back.

“What?” Ivy frowned, confused.

Suddenly, Ted collapsed. Ivy’s first thought was that he had passed out again and jumped to her feet, letting out a little cry, but then she realized that he had simply tripped. “Are you okay?” asked Ivy, laughing softly.

“I’m fine,” Ted said, but he didn’t really look it. He looked pale, and his breathing was faint. Ivy was about to run out of the Shack to fetch Madame Patil, but suddenly, Ted did something that made her stop where she was. He pulled out a small, square box labeled, “FENCHURCH’S JEWELERS” from his pocket.

Ivy’s breathing quickened too, now as she stared at that box. She thought she knew what it might be, but she couldn’t be sure, and she didn’t want to get her hopes up. Meanwhile, Ted was having a bit of trouble attempting to open the box. The catch was very small, and his fingers fumbled clumsily with it.

“Why is everything going wrong? First I can’t kneel properly, now this?” he said, laughing nervously as the box popped open and something small and shiny flew out. “ACK!” shouted Ted, scrambling for it, but Ivy grabbed it out of the air. “Good save,” said Ted, sighing with relief. “Go on, look at it.”

Ivy opened her palm to see… a diamond ring. She gasped.

“Er… Ivy… this is really awkward, but… er, what do you think about marrying me? Do you want to?”

Ivy reeled, almost letting the ring slip between her fingers. She hadn’t been expecting this, not in a million years. Oh, she’d imagined this scene before, of course, in the way that all teenage girls did. But she hadn’t imagined it in the Shrieking Shack, or sprung so randomly on her… and certainly not so soon. She opened her mouth, but she couldn’t get anything to come out.

“You… I mean, you don’t have to say ‘yes’ right away, if you don’t want to,” Ted said, licking his lips nervously. “Erm, I don’t mean to scare you off or anything… I thought now seemed like the time to ask, but it’s not like I’m saying we need to go get married or anything. I definitely don’t want to rush you, you can do whatever you want”I mean, I love you, I’m not going to be upset if you…”

“Ted… of course I’ll marry you,” Ivy said quietly.

“What?”

“I said…”

Ted grinned. “I… I heard you. I’m just kiiiinda in shock right now.”

“Yeah… yeah, me, too…”

Ted slipped the ring onto Ivy’s finger, and she studied it. The diamond wasn’t very big or showy, and a diagonal scratch cut through it, but when the light hit it the right way, it was exactly the same light twinkly blue as Ted’s eyes. She loved it.

“At least one part of this proposal went right,” said Ted. There were tears glistening in his eyes, making them shine like the diamond on Ivy’s ring. He paused. “Ivy…”

“Yes?”

Ted sighed. “Do you think I can stop kneeling now?”

Ivy laughed, and she found it extremely hard to stop. Everything seemed funny when she was giddy with happiness. At last, she helped Ted up and sat down with him on a sofa, snuggling against him and feeling as though she was projecting a neon glow from her head to her toes. Jordan would probably say that everyone had an aura and that this was no different from usual, but she couldn’t remember ever feeling so warm and… shiny.

“The reason why I said this doesn’t have to be the last transformation here in the Shrieking Shack… I talked to my mum and dad, and they said that they could buy it. Seriously, the whole place. There aren’t going to be any werewolves anymore after me, not with Zabini’s potion, so no one will need to use the Shack anymore. And Hogsmeade is a great place to live.” He let her lean back against him and wrapped his arms around her. “We don’t need to hurry into actually getting married or anything. People can be engaged for years and years, so if you meet anyone you like better, you can always change your mind.”

Ivy hugged him. “I don’t think that’s going to happen,” she said.

“I just… I really wanted to ask you. I didn’t want to have to wait until we’re old and gr”” he stopped himself. “Until we’re old,” he amended, smiling.

Ivy looked up into his face. Although the moon hadn’t come out yet, it was almost as though Ted had transformed into something completely different, from the best friend and boyfriend she’d known for so long to the man she was going to marry. It seemed odd to think of sweet, gawky Ted as a man, even though he was fully of age. She’d known him for so long that it was easy to forget how much they’d both grown up. But now, with his ring on her finger and his future entwined in hers, it was like she was seeing him for the first time. She could see him in five years, ten years, twenty years, fifty years, sitting beside her on a warm summer’s night with the same sincerity and warmth and pride in his eyes.

So often, people said things like ‘I love you, never change,’ but Ivy didn’t know why. If you really loved someone, wouldn’t you love them no matter what? Everybody changed, after all. Didn’t it make more sense to say, “I love you, keep changing”? Ted certainly wasn’t the same goofy little boy she’d met at age eleven, or the same uncertain teenager she’d suddenly been smitten with that Christmas Day at St. Mungo’s, or even the person she’d kissed in an abandoned broom closet just two years before.

Ted’s face was thin, tired, and worn, but there was so much joy and kindness and warmth in it that he looked almost handsome. Ivy couldn’t believe that she, who just a few years ago had been a shy little girl, was going to be married, and that she was lucky enough to have someone like Ted.

“Wait until everyone finds out,” Ivy said, smiling mischievously. “We won’t get a moment’s peace.”

“That’s what full moons are for,” replied Ted, moving a little closer.

Ivy looked around the Shack, already so familiar to her. It was comforting to know that it would one day be her home, that there were many more nights together in the Shrieking Shack to come.

“You know, Tyrone calls this place the Love Shack,” Ivy mentioned, turning her hand this way and that to admire her ring.

Ted laughed. “Shall we put up a sign? It might scare people off even more than when they thought it was haunted.” He shifted a little on the sofa. “Hey… Ivy? Just curious, do you ever think about… you know, what married people do?”

“You mean arguing?” replied Ivy. She smiled at the expression on her fiance’s face. “I’m kidding, Ted. But… if you’re asking me if I ever fantasize about you, then… yes.” She peered at him with amusement dancing in her eyes. “Did you think I was a complete angel with no hormones at all?”

Ted chuckled to himself. “A lot of people do,” he said. “I’m just glad you don’t think I’m some dirty creeper." He grinned. "I'm not saying now or anything of course. I mean, I might turn into a wolf any second, that could get awkward, you know?"

"You're so...fantastic," said Ivy.

"Of course, I'm on page 41 of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, remember?" said Ted. And then suddenly, he kissed her like he never had before, pulling her down onto the bed and letting her long blonde hair over both of them like a blanket. When they broke apart after what could have been a few months, Ted looked like a child who'd been caught stealing cookies from the cookie jar. "That was new," he said.

"What was all that about transforming into a wolf any second?" Ivy said lightly. She cupped his chin in her hand. "Not that I minded, of course."

Ivy and Ted stayed up for hours talking about their plans for the future and just enjoying each other’s company. At some point, Ted had made the transformation into a wolf, and Ivy had switched to her Animagus form, but Ivy could never manage to recall exactly when in the conversation this had happened. After knowing him for so long, Ted was just Ted to her, no matter what he looked like.

As Ivy drifted off to sleep, the last thought in her mind was, I can’t wait to see the look on Jordan’s face when he finds out.

* * * * * *


Jordan was already fast asleep by the time Ted proposed to Ivy, a small smile still on his face even as he dreamed. He could hardly believe that he had pulled a prank during his own graduation speech”he’d never pulled a prank before in his life. But if he was going to leave Hogwarts forever, he wanted to go out with a bang.

Just a few years ago, he would have been very displeased with anyone unprofessional enough to do such a deed, but becoming a Seer had made him realize that sometimes, a dose of the unpredictable was just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of being a Seer, his dream was one of “those dreams,” as he usually referred to them. He was standing on the wide expanse of the Hogwarts lawn, looking out at the crowd of students milling along and lying lazily under the trees in the balmy spring weather. He didn’t recognize any of them, although there was something strangely familiar about a few of them.

“It’s twenty-six years in your future,” said a soft male voice next to Jordan.

He jumped. “You can see me?” he asked, turning around to stare at a boy about his age. The boy was around the same height as Jordan, with tanned skin and thick black hair falling to his shoulders. His green-black eyes were eerily like Jordan’s own.

“Merlin,” Jordan said. It wasn’t a question.

“So this is what happens when two Seers have the same vision,” Merlin replied cheerily. “Jordan Potter. I know all about you, of course.”

“Do you, now?” replied Jordan, feeling slightly uneasy in the presence of the great Seer.

Merlin smiled. “Oh, don’t look like that. I’m sure you’ve had visions about me, or you wouldn’t know who I was. Most people tend to expect me to be old, for some reason.” He gestured toward a boy standing under a spreading oak tree and trying (and failing miserably) to catch Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans in his mouth. “That’s your son right there.”


Jordan gaped. “What… I have a son?” he exclaimed. “I get married?” Merlin might as well have told him that he would give birth to a lemur. Jordan had never exactly seen himself as the marrying type. The idea of having a child was too weird to even think about.

He looked closely at the boy who was apparently his offspring. The boy was not particularly good looking, and he was lanky, taller than Jordan even though he looked three or four years younger. But despite his gangly appearance, he had a certain poise about him that made him look a lot more composed than Ted ever did. His eyes were the same bright green as Harry’s, the bright green that Jordan’s had been a few years before, and he wore rectangular glasses with thick black rims. His wavy, bright red hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail. Jordan couldn’t imagine himself letting any child of his grow a ponytail, but the look did suit him a lot better than it ever had Ron Weasley.

As he watched, a very pretty girl in Slytherin robes walked past. She had thick white-blonde hair that contrasted interestingly with her large dark brown eyes, and that dangerous sort of expression that often comes with very attractive people.

“Hey, Meg!” called Jordan’s son. “Meg, Hogsmeade weekend tomorrow. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Oh no,” moaned Jordan, looking away, “he’s going to get destroyed.”

Merlin smiled. “What do you mean?”

“Well, one, she’s in Slytherin. And two, she’s absolutely gorgeous. Doesn’t he realize he doesn’t stand a chance?”

As he watched, though, the girl stopped in her tracks and turned around to smile at the boy. “Nigel, just who I wanted to see,” she said, advancing toward him. She kissed him on the cheek.

“Omega Katharine Malfoy,” proclaimed Nigel Potter, “You have made a wise choice. Kiss me on the lips next and butterbeer’s on me.”

“What…” exclaimed Jordan, staring. “How can…”

Merlin looked as though he was trying his hardest to hold back guffaws. “He’s not his father, Jordan. I thought you of all people would understand that much.”

Oh no, I’ve given birth to Tyrone Thomas, thought Jordan, ranking up there on the list of Highly Improbable Phrases. “Omega Malfoy,” he said out loud. “That’s quite a sensible name. If she’s an only child, she’s the end of the Malfoy line, as Ophidias would be the last male heir. I wonder if he chose that name on purpose.”

“Speaking of names,” said Merlin, “I’m rather curious as to why you named your poor son Nigel.”

“I… don’t know,” replied Jordan. “It was probably my wife’s idea.” He paused. “Who do I marry, anyway?”

Merlin shook his head. “If you knew, you would feel obligated to marry her, and no one wants that. The future can always change. I’m not going to tell you your destiny.” He scratched his chin thoughtfully. “You know, you’re just as much a Seer as I am. You can always find out for yourself. You can find any of this out for yourself.”

Jordan exhaled deeply. “I don’t mind visions, at least not as much as I used to,” he said, “but voluntarily choosing to look at the future? It doesn’t feel right to me. I’ve always been cautious. Maybe I’ll adjust to it later, but…”

“But it still feels safer to ask me,” finished Merlin. He smiled. “That’s understandable. Everyone’s said my whole life that I’m too curious for my own good. I know how almost my entire future’s going to go. Of course, that’s probably dangerous. Like I said, the future can change. I have a feeling I’ll be in for some disappointments.”

The future can change… Jordan had used that phrase many times, but hearing it from Merlin reminded him of something. His first ever vision, the one in which he had been homeless and Haley had told him that Ron had died and everyone was angry at him for what had happened to Emma, swam into his mind. “There was one vision I had once,” he said slowly, “My first one. I… I can control my dreams when I want to, can’t I?”

Merlin nodded. “Lucid dreaming is one of the many perks we get,” he replied. “Do you want to see if it’s any different?”

Jordan nodded and closed his eyes. As he did so, he realized how weird it was to close his eyes when he knew he was dreaming and his real eyes had been closed all along. That was the strangest thing about lucid dreaming. Another logical impossibility.

When he opened his dream-eyes, he and Merlin were standing on a lonely street lined with bare trees on a grey, overcast day. A teenaged couple strolled hand-in-hand, and a middle-aged man in truly hideous purple leggings jogged steadily to the beat of his headphones. An elderly woman and a girl who couldn’t be older than two sat on a bench together, feeding pigeons.

Suddenly, a young woman in a pink dress appeared out of thin air with a slight pop. She seemed totally unfazed by this, not even pausing to look about her at her surroundings before walking briskly down the path.

But although she was nonchalant about her sudden materialization, this in no way reflected the attitudes of those around her. Behind Jordan, the teenaged couple screamed and clutched one another, the man in the purple leggings swore loudly, the elderly woman nearly toppled off of her bench in shock, and the two-year-old girl giggled and clapped her hands together.

Not oblivious to this reaction, the young woman stopped in her tracks and slapped herself in the forehead. “Oh, right,” she muttered. “How could I have forgotten?” She rummaged in the denim purse slung across her shoulder and pulled out a wooden stick. She waved it and mumbled a few words to herself, and instantly, everyone seemed to warm considerably to this new arrival.

“Sorry, Walid. What were you talking about again?” Jordan heard the female half of the teenaged couple behind him say.

The male half of the couple replied casually, “I dunno, Jenny, it wasn’t important. It sure didn’t have anything to do with some lady randomly appearing out of nowhere!” He laughed at the preposterousness of it all.

The man in the purple leggings winked and nodded at the young woman as he jogged past, and the elderly woman on the bench called, “Happy Christmas!” (Which was slightly odd, seeing as it seemed to be summer, despite the leafless trees and grey skies.)

The young woman in the pink dress grinned with satisfaction, her freckled nose wrinkling mischievously, and she stowed the stick back in her purse before continuing on her way.

Her dark hair shone in the muted sun as it bounced around her shoulders, and the stiletto heels of her fashionable shoes (open-toed to reveal sparkly pink toenails) clacked pleasantly on the pitted asphalt. She was rather pretty, bright-eyed and slim, and impossible to classify by age. Jordan recognized Haley, ten years older and much more elegant than the sister he knew, but definitely Haley nonetheless.

He couldn’t help but hold his breath as she made her way down the path, hoping that she wouldn’t sit down next to a homeless man on the bench, that his vision had changed. But he had no need to worry, because she turned at the next corner and continued on to a tall, sleek-looking office building. She stepped through the automatic sliding doors, giggling to herself as she did so”apparently, they were still a novelty for her”and stopped at desk of a rather bored-looking secretary chewing a disgustingly enormous wad of gum.

“Hello!” she chirped cheerfully. “I’m here to see Jor”I mean, Mr. Potter?”

The secretary gave her a contemptuous look. “Do you have an appointment?”

“Nope,” Haley replied happily.

“Do you have a photo ID?”

Haley gave her a patient smile. “My picture’s on that bus over there,” she offered. “Does that help?” She giggled slightly at the surprised look on the secretary’s face. “I know, I’m wearing a blonde wig in that picture, but it’s me-- I’m Glinda right now in the revival of Wicked on the West End. You should come and see the show, it’s pretty good. But I think my baby brother’s waiting for me.”

Happily, Haley made her way down the meandering hallway until she reached a glassed-in door that read “J. J. POTTER, CEO.” Apparently, she knew her way around the office building. She didn’t bother to knock on the door, but simply pushed her way in.

Sitting behind a desk and talking on the phone was a man in his late twenties, his gelled hair messy and the sleeves of his black button-up shirt rolled up. The top button was undone and he wore no necktie. Jordan saw himself, ten years in the future, and felt his heart quicken. It was just too weird to think about for too long. The older Jordan was slightly broader in the chest and shoulders, had a five-o-clock shadow and a deep crease between his eyebrows, and his features looked subtly more defined, but it was unmistakably him nonetheless.

“Haley!” exclaimed the older Jordan, and his voice sounded exactly the same. “I’ll call you back,” he said quickly into the telephone, and hung up. “I haven’t seen you since Christmas. How are you?” he asked.

The older Haley smiled. “I’m doing awesome. I just came from babysitting Ted and Ivy’s kids, though, and I don’t know how they manage with them all the time! I volunteered you to take care of them next time.”

“Thoughtful,” replied the older Jordan. “They can’t be worse than you were when you were their age. Though I seem to remember Henry was a holy terror when I saw him at Christmastime.”

Haley laughed. “Oh, he still is. But he’s four. He’s allowed to be. The one that tires me out is Rebekah. And not just because she’s a Metamorphmagus. Now that she’s five, she can read, and she’s definitely too clever for her own good. She reads anything she can get her hands on.”

“Oh no, I stand corrected,” groaned the older Jordan. “They could be worse than you. They could be me.”

“She’s definitely not you,” Haley assured him. “She’s a writer. Guess what. She can already spell ‘passionate.’”

The older Jordan blinked. “Oh dear,” he said simply.

“And ‘bosom.’ Ivy told me that Rebekah’s stories are very popular with the rest of her kindergarten class.” She smiled. “Anyway, the real reason I’m here is, Dad and Uncle Ron are retiring next month, and we’re throwing a party. We thought you might like to come.” She poked her brother in the arm with one of his own pens. “Make sure you bring a nice gift, Mr. Millionaire. Oh, yeah, and Emma’s having another baby”might want to bring a gift for them, too. They think it’ll be another girl. Tyrone says that even if this one’s not a boy, he’s naming her Tyrone Junior anyway.”

“Well, the other two girls both have boy names, don’t they?” said the older Jordan. “Tony and Joey?”

“They’re short for Antoinette and Josephine, though,” Haley informed him. “Emma just refuses to ever call them that.” She paused, and her expression grew more serious as she took a seat in front of her twin’s desk. “Jordan,” she said quietly, “are you happy?”

The older Jordan gave her a genuine smile. “I truly am, however much you try to convince me I’m not.”

“Are you sure?” Haley began absentmindedly folding a business card into a little origami frog. “Because… I know you’re really famous and really rich messing about with computers and buying out Micro… thing… and…”

“Microsoft and Apple?” the older Jordan prompted her.

“Those,” continued Haley, nodding. “But…don’t you miss magic? You’re so good at it! You’re a Seer, for crying out loud! I still don’t see why you have to live like a Muggle.”

The older Jordan produced a large rubber band ball from his desk drawer and handed it to Haley, knowing that she could have hours of fun with it. “I still do magic sometimes,” he said. “When I need to. I just don’t think it’s that important. I know I’m good at doing magic, but I’m not very good at using it. I’ve realized I understand technology a lot better”and technology’s very near magic, anyway. Much more precise, too”you always know what you’re getting at with technology. Logical impossibilities don’t often turn up. I’ve wanted to work with computers since I was fifteen, though, you should have seen Aunt Hermione’s face when I went in for career advice. I just never expected I’d be this successful.”

Haley sighed. “So long as you’re happy, I guess,” she said. “But it’s so weird. Everyone talks about you, Harry Potter’s genius son, Head Boy, Seer, perfect O.W.L.s, perfect N.E.W.T.s, working for Muggles. You could use all those brains to give wizards a hand, too.”

“Wizards have magic”we already have the upper hand,” pointed out Jordan. “And it’s not like you’re not working for Muggles. I saw your face on a bus. Rather ironic that you’re playing a witch right now, isn’t it? I saw in that article about you in Witch Weekly that you use your real wand onstage.”

Haley giggled. “So you did read that after all! Aha!”

“I bought it for my wife,” he said staunchly. “I didn’t know you were in it.”

“I was on the cover, Jor-jums,” Haley pointed out sweetly.

The younger Jordan, the Jordan who was having the dream, turned to Merlin, his eyes wide. “Is this really my future?” he asked breathlessly. It was far better than he’d ever dreamed. Not only did he manage to work with computers, he was the head of the most successful computer company in the world. And he still managed to keep up with his family and friends.

“Based on the choices you’ve made so far, at least,” Merlin replied. He rubbed his chin. “Speaking of which,” he said, “from one Seer to another, do you think I’d look good with a beard? I’m thinking of growing one.”

Jordan grinned. “I think a beard would be a very good idea,” he said. I just told Merlin to grow a beard, he realized. This is bizarre. What if I said he shouldn’t? Would people stop saying ‘Merlin’s beard?’

“Merlin, I have one more question,” he said at last. “Am I really talking to you… or is this all just in my head?”

Merlin raised his eyebrows. “Of course it’s all in your head. But why on earth should that mean it isn't real?"

Jordan knew Merlin’s tone. It was the way he always sounded in Jordan’s visions when he quoted people. “Who said that?” he asked.

“Someone from the future,” Merlin replied almost immediately, then seemed to realize who he was talking to. “The future for me, that is. She’s quite established in your world. You may have heard of her-- she’s another Seer, and quite famous.”

Jordan furrowed his brow. Merlin was the only famous Seer he had ever heard of. “What’s her name?” he asked.

Merlin smiled mysteriously. “J.K. Rowling,” he replied.

* * * * * *


“DAAAAAAD! DAAAAAD, get up already! For the love of Merlin, I thought you were dead!” yelled a distinctly unharmonious voice in Jordan’s ear.

He groaned and forced open his eyes a crack, to see the eager, blurry face of his thirteen-year-old son directly in front of him. “What time is it?” he muttered, feeling the inside of his mouth was made of cotton.

“Time for you to get an alarm clock!” the boy hollered in that hoarse, barely-pubescent voice of his. It wasn’t exactly the first sound Jordan had wanted to hear upon awakening.

“Where’s your mother, Nigel?” said Jordan, feeling around for his notebook and pen on his bedside table.

“Downstairs, making French toast with sprinkles and ice cream with Aunt Haley!”

Jordan grunted. It was too early to hear so many exclamation marks. “The last thing you need is more sugar,” he said, then squinted. “Wait, Haley’s here?”

Nigel laughed. “EVERYBODY’s here, Dad. I’m surprised you didn’t wake up. Aunt Ivy says you can sleep through a circus parade.”

“That was one time!” Jordan said stiffly. “Look, can you go and… get your things together? Missing the Hogwarts Express again would be far from ideal.”

“Jawohl, mon capitan,” said Nigel, flinging himself headlong at the door.

Jordan wondered sometimes whether trying to teach his son basic French, Spanish, Mandarin, and German as an infant had been worthwhile. All it had seemed to do was confuse the poor boy. He jotted down the basic details of the dreams he’d had the night before in a bedside notepad. It was all routine for him”he used Occlumency against himself throughout the day to prevent visions from distracting or embarrassing him, but he gave his Seer powers full reign by night. And this meant not a single night passed without several extremely bizarre dreams”most of which he recorded and sent to the Department of Mysteries, just in case. For those he couldn’t explain in words, there was always Telemency.

Jordan smiled to himself as he scribbled down his last dream, the recurring one he’d had for decades, where he was seventeen again and speaking to Merlin. That was before he’d had the guts to manipulate his own dreams, back when being a Seer was still so new and mysterious to him.

As he washed his face, he peered critically at his reflection in the mirror. Every now and then, after a night of bizarre dreams, he had to double check how old he was. Between dreams of his teenage years and murky visions of his future, forty-two-year-old Jordan sometimes came as a surprise. Almost any other small, wiry man with delicate features like his would look youthful, and for the most part, Jordan did”but the deep furrow between his eyebrows, lines on his brow, and the ancient solemnity in his eyes aged him.

He left his messy hair and stubble exactly as they were, both out of convenience and style, and threw on one of his many pairs of black trousers. His closet was filled with countless button-up shirts, mostly black with a few white ones, and one in the far corner that was a rich shade of deep plum. After a moment’s hesitation, he pulled on the purple shirt and headed down the stairs.

Nigel hadn’t been kidding. The entire downstairs of his house had been transformed into some kind of three-ring circus. He couldn’t find his wife anywhere”she was probably downstairs trying to find Nigel’s suitcase, as of course he hadn’t even started packing for the semester. But pretty much everyone else he could think of was there, and making such a ruckus, it really was a miracle that he’d slept through it all.

“What,” said Jordan, frozen slack-jawed on the staircase, “Is your son doing hanging from my chandelier, Haley?”

“Pull-ups!” Haley yelled over the din.

“Well, that explains it, then,” muttered Jordan, but he couldn’t keep up the cranky act for long. He bounded down the stairs as though he didn’t have a bad back, and hugged his sister in a way that quickly reminded him just how bad his back was.

“About time, I was getting ready to jump on your bed and start belting show tunes at you, just like the old days,” chirped Haley. She smiled. “Missed you, Jor-jums.” She hadn’t changed much over the years. She was still just as small and almost as slim, and looked much younger than she was, though she now had a sophisticated look about her that suited her. Her hair was longer, and she wore it styled in loose waves, and she wore designer jeans with sleek pink peek-toe pumps and a pink silky blouse.
Her husband was busy trying to convince their eleven-year-old daughter, Elektra, that if she was going to sit on the expensive piano, she probably shouldn’t play it with her muddy feet, while Elektra’s twin brother, Dorian, dangled from the chandelier. The twins’ older brother, Jules, was starting on a plate of the infamous French toast and chatting away with Nigel and their friend Joey Thomas. Haley’s two older children, fifteen-year-old Indigo and sixteen-year-old Luc, were playing wizard chess on fifteen-year-old Tony Thomas’ back, while nine-year-old Charley Thomas slowly tried to pull her father’s wand out of his back pocket.

Emma’s head snapped around. “Constant vigilance!” she barked, looking and sounding utterly terrified. Her daughter dropped the wand with a clatter.

“You should know better than to attempt anything while your mother’s around,” scolded Jordan. “Wait until you’re alone with your father, he’ll most likely not notice a thing. Or at least, he’ll pretend not to, for your sake.”

Tyrone flashed Jordan his infamous bright white grin. “Hey, I almost didn’t notice you! There’s so many kids here, I didn’t see you coming.”

“This is my point exactly,” said Jordan. “If it wasn’t for your mother, he’d be entirely lost.”

Tyrone’s face was as dazzlingly gorgeous as ever, and his arms were still impressively muscular. But at the first signs of male pattern baldness, he’d shaved his head completely and grown a neat little goatee to compensate. Since retiring from major league Quidditch, he’d developed a slight pot belly, but he had what it took to turn heads even so.

“So,” said Emma. “What’s new in the Muggle world? More wars, I’m guessing? Even more crazy weapons that make the Killing Curse look like a picnic?”

Jordan bowed his head. “If I hadn’t known better, I’d have assumed you were a Seer,” he said wryly. Emma was lovely in the same way that a glacier or a lioness was lovely, looking immeasurably professional and intimidating in her French twist and Auror robes that did not entirely obscure her curvy frame. Her face was tighter and harder, her cheekbones more pronounced and her jawline grimmer, but her eyes glimmered brightly nonetheless. As third-in-command Auror behind her own father and Jordan’s, she would be taking over the department when they both retired at the end of the year, and she was more than ready.

Across the room, Jordan saw Ted and Ivy’s seventeen-year-old son, Henry, sitting by himself. He was pretending not to watch the action all around him, though Jordan could see his eyes darting from behind lowered lids. Jordan smirked to himself. The boy reminded him a lot of himself, back when he was so serious and self-absorbed, he didn’t even realize how ridiculous he was. Now, much older and wiser, he knew exactly how ridiculous he was, and he was sure Henry would be all too aware of that fact soon enough.

“Jordan, hey!” called Ted, giving him the kind of enthusiastic hug that Jordan would never allow from anyone but Ted. It was amazing how someone so skinny could give such suffocating hugs. “It’s been way too long. How are you, mate?”

“Excellent,” Jordan said, in a somewhat muffled voice. “You?”

Ted grinned. “Never better,” he said, releasing Jordan. He’d certainly looked better. He looked old enough to be Jordan’s father. His long shaggy hair was completely grey, his face was deeply lined and aged, and the dark circles under his eyes were more pronounced than ever. But as gaunt and tired as he looked, there was the same boyish enthusiasm as ever shining in his round blue eyes, and he was as energetic and cheery as he’d ever been.

Ivy smiled. “Now it’s my turn,” she said, hugging Jordan herself.

“You two have an exciting year ahead of you, if I’m not mistaken,” Jordan said. “Is everything ready?”

“Everything except Henry,” said Ted. “Something tells me he’s not too happy about all this.”

Ted had decided after a long and distinguished career at St. Mungo’s to fill in as Hogwarts Healer now that Madame Patil had finally stepped down. Ivy had spent the last three years as Charms Professor at Hogwarts since retiring from the Experimental Charms department at the Ministry, and the location was convenient for both of them, as they lived on the former site of the Shrieking Shack.

Jordan looked over at Henry, still sitting alone and determinedly avoiding eye contact with anyone else. “He’ll grow out of it,” he said. “If I could, anyone can.” He ran a hand through his messy hair. “So I suppose if you’re going to be the new Hogwarts healer, you’ll be seeing a lot of Nigel. He seems to spend most of his free time in the hospital wing”he’s always just getting into the strangest scrapes. His mind just doesn’t seem to work the same way as other people’s.”

“I think it runs in the family,” said Ivy, smiling. She looked every inch the Professor with her hair cut into a smooth chin-length bob. It had darkened with time to a subdued ash blonde, and the years had softened the sharp, angular edges of her face. There were worry lines around her mouth, but they were only complemented by her laugh lines.

Jordan rolled his eyes. "I'm not entirely sure you understand. Just last week, he asked me if he could legally change his name to Muttonchops McGee for 'artistic reasons.' My wife said he could as soon as he could actually grow muttonchops, and within half a hour, there was a horrible explosion in his room. Apparently, he tried to make a hair growing potion and ended up catching his hair on fire."

"Was he okay?" asked Ted.

Jordan laughed. "Naturally, he's Nigel." He was about to launch into a long speech detailing why Nigel’s strange brain was completely different from his, but he was interrupted by a loud, booming voice roaring, “RUNNING AWAY, ARE YOU?” Tyrone was standing behind him, arms folded. “Hey, this is the first time I’ve gotten to see you in forever, and you blow me off to talk to these losers? Who do you expect me to hang out with, the kids?”

“Yeah, we all see enough of our kids,” added Emma. “You’re a bit more interesting.”

Jordan raised his eyebrows. “That is saying a lot, since you normally tend to go on about how boring I am.” He smiled. “Do you think we were more interesting than the kids when we were their age? Or are all teenagers equally dull?”

Haley looked slightly offended. “We were not boring,” she exclaimed. “We got Malfoy, we stopped Apple, we went back in time! And in case you forgot, we’ve got a Seer, an extremely loveable werewolf, an Animagus, a Triwizard Champ, and a Haley!

“Hey, don’t forget the devilishly sexy Quidditch star!” added Tyrone.

Emma snorted. “Oh, shut up, Tyrone. You’re not the big hot-shot you used to be.”

“Maybe not,” Tyrone said in a deep, breathy voice. “But I’m much more… experienced now. They don’t call me Tyrone Thomas the Tank Engine for nothing.”

“You’re the only one who ever calls yourself that,” pointed out Emma. “And what does that even mean, anyway? What’s an engine?”

Jordan began glancing around the room for the quickest escape route, but luckily, before Tyrone could say anything even creepier, Ted said, “I think we were always plenty interesting even without being Seers and Animagi and all that. Face it, we’re all pretty weird as it is.”

“I’m not!” said Ivy.

Jordan raised an eyebrow. “I’m fairly certain you married a werewolf. If nothing else, you’re weird by association.” He started off into space, looking almost as though he was prepared to have another vision. “Our parents were the heroes, we’re the amazing freak show. What does that make our children?”

“DAAAAAAAAAD! How do you get jelly off the ceiling?” yelled Nigel from across the room.

Ivy smiled. “I think this is the generation that gets to have fun,” she said.

And about two hours later, when the Hogwarts Express had departed and Jordan and Giorgi came back home to their big, empty, quiet house, he sat down at his desk and thought about what Ivy had said. By the time his own father was Nigel’s age, he’d already been heralded as the saviour of the wizarding world more times than he could count. He’d risked his life in the name of what was right and saved countless lives.

And Nigel was… Nigel. Happy-go-lucky, accident-prone, slightly zany Nigel. A very bright boy, but one whose magical abilities left more than a little bit to be desired. If Nigel heard there was a deadly disaster looming on the horizon, he’d wait for the grown-ups to straighten it out. If he was trapped in a room, face to face with evil incarnate… well, he was probably dead meat. But that was how it should be for a thirteen-year-old boy. For once, a Potter boy got to have a normal, happy childhood.

And what of Jordan? He’d had his forays into danger in youth, orchestrated his own plans to preserve liberty and justice. But he wasn’t about to claim he’d done anything near what his father had. He’d never been a teenage superhero, and he certainly hadn’t eased into a peaceful retirement at age seventeen.

He smiled quietly to himself and leaned back in his chair. There’s plenty of life in me yet, he thought. And based on the visions he’d been having lately… his biggest adventures were all still ahead of him.
End Notes:


WOW. That's it, then... Please, please, please drop everything and give me a review. I want to know your favorite character and why, and your favorite quote/scene/moment whatever from ANY of the Potter's Pentagon stuff. It would really mean a lot to me. Plus, ask me ANY QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE, except who Haley marries. That, you'll find out in Pride and Prejuiced Plums!