Learning to Love Her Name and Him by mudbloodproud
Summary: Kasia Leven has always hated her name. The mispronunciation of it drives her up the wall. Why must she always correct those who call her “Ka/zi/ar” to “Ca/shar”? Why must she be blessed with such a terrible name? But as Kasia learns more of life and growing up, the love of her name grows with her.

I am mudbloodproud of Hufflepuff and this is my final exam for Prof. Jojo's Strictly Summarizing Class

Summary written by jojo_dolphin2394
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 3298 Read: 1585 Published: 08/11/08 Updated: 08/14/08

1. Advice From An Old Woman by mudbloodproud

Advice From An Old Woman by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank Haylee (XhayleeXblackX) for being a wonderful beta for this story.

I do not own any of the characters in this story you may recognize. Nor do I own anything else you recognize from Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling has that honour. I wish to thank her for letting me play in her world.
I must be crazy. Why on earth would I take a job where I was constantly exposed to people calling me by name? Especially when most of them could not even pronounce it right? What was I thinking? Kasia thought as she sat going over this week’s inventory list.

Oh, that’s right, I wasn’t thinking. Fred and George had looked at me with their identical puppy dog eyes and those stupid silly grins on their faces and said “Please”. I was a goner. She winced at how easily she had fallen for their combined efforts.

She never could resist those two separately, never mind when they ganged up on her. Kasia couldn’t count the times she had gotten into trouble in one of her classes because of something that they convinced her to do.

It was in Kasia’s fifth year, when they persuaded her to switch the labels on the bottle containing crushed scarab beetles with the bottle containing sneezewort powder. The resulting potion was not a Wit-Sharpening Potion, but more of a Confusion and Befuddlement Draught. Unfortunately, Professor Snape realised who had done this by tracing the magic used to switch the labels to her wand. She spent every Saturday for the next month in detention with him.

That was only one incident in a long line of things that got her into trouble during her seven years at Hogwarts; though in her last year, she got into far less trouble due to the fact that the twins were not there any longer. However, she couldn’t say she got through the year without getting into any trouble; the twins may have been gone, but Lee Jordan, their best friend, was still there. He had taken upon himself to carry on their work, and Kasia had become his counterpart.

Now, she had agreed to work for them in their store.

“Miss… Miss! Can you help me or not?”

Kasia looked up from the paperwork she had been looking at. Smiling her best smile, she walked from behind the counter and over to the customer. She saw the customer look at her name tag.

“Kaziar, I would like some one of those daydream things. Do they work for someone who is… older?” the woman questioned.

Kasia tried not to wince at the mispronunciation of her name. Why was it everyone insisted on putting an r sound at the end of her name? There was no r in her name.

“Miss Olander, how wonderful to see you again. I am sure Kasia,” George said, smiling as he said Kasia’s name, “will be happy to help you with anything you need. Kasia, when you are done, can I see you in my office? Fred and I have something for you.” Smiling, George walked away.

“Oh dear, I am sorry. I know I said your name wrong.” The older woman looked quite stricken that she had offended Kasia.

“It’s all right. No one ever gets it correct. So, to answer your question, yes, these work for any age witch or wizard.”

Kasia tried her best to be nice and friendly. Little did customers know, but when they mispronounced her name, she worked harder to sell them more stuff than they had intended to buy. It was the least she could do to avenge her name being said the wrong way.

Kasia entered the back room with a smile on her face. She didn’t know what Fred and George had to show her, but she knew it would be something good. Where they got there imagination from, she didn’t have a clue.

“So, how much did you get her to spend?” Fred asked her.

“Oh, about ten gallons more than she intended,” she said laughing.

Fred shook his head before looking over at George. “Maybe our idea isn’t such a good one. After all, the more people say her name wrong, the more money we make.”

“True, true,” said George solemnly, “but I think it is necessary for her mental health. After all, seven years of Hogwarts and now a year here with us, so that’s eight years that we know of that her name has been said wrong. I think she deserves some peace of mind.” George looked over at her and smiled.

“Okay, Kass, say my name,” Fred told her.

“Fred,” she said, not understanding where the conversation was headed.

“Now, if you only saw this side of me,” Fred asked as he turned to the side, “you wouldn’t know which twin I was, so call me by his name.” Fred nodded towards George.

“George,” Kasia said even more confused.

“Fred,” said a voice issuing from Fred’s chest.

Kasia looked at Fred’s chest. She realised he was wearing a name tag. That was where the voice had came from. She looked at each brother in turn, still confused.

“Here, put this on.” George handed her a new name tag. She took off her old one and pinned the new one to her chest.

“Kazar,” Fred addressed her.

“My name is Kasia,” replied from the nametag.

“There, you never have to correct someone again. Even if they just call you…” George looked at her before saying, “Miss.”

“My name is Kasia,” the nametag repeated.

Kasia smiled. It still would bother her when her name was said wrong, but at least she wouldn’t have to keep repeating her name over and over again, now.

The front door jingled and George stood up. “I’ll go, you take a break,” he said to Kasia.

She sat down on the stool he had vacated and looked at Fred. “Thanks,” she said simply.

“Hey, I know what it is like to always be called by the wrong name. It is a wonder George and I even know which twin we really are.” Fred looked down at the decoy detonator in front of him. He had been trying to figure out how to make it work better.

“When I was small, I used to get upset that even Mum would call me George. I always thought I didn’t matter because even she didn’t know who I was.” Fred stopped and took a deep breath. “One day, I did something, I don’t even remember what now, I was only about nine … Anyway, Mum asked who did it and Ginny said “Gred” When Mum asked again, she said “Forge.” It was in that moment that I realised being able to be two people was a good thing.

“Now, it bothers me because we aren’t mixed up anymore. I have my own name if not my own identity. It is still always Fred and George, George and Fred, as if we were just one person-” Fred finished with a shrug.

Kasia smiled. She knew what Fred was trying to do, but she had never been able to shrug off someone saying her name wrong. Maybe it was childish, but she couldn’t help it.

***

A couple of weeks later, Kasia, Fred, and George were sitting in backroom of the shop discussing closing the shop temporarily. It was the middle of the night. Fred and George had been working on filling orders that had come by owl earlier in the day. It seemed all they did lately was fill Owl-Orders.

“We had only two customers all of last week, and one today. Almost all of our business is now coming in through Owl-Order.” Kasia looked up from her books on the sales from the past month.

“Okay,” said Fred, “maybe we should close. If our business is mostly Owl-Order, we can do that from anywhere.” He looked at George.

“We’ll need to board up the windows and put some protection spells on the stuff we leave here. Be just like the Death Eaters to clean the place out given the chance.” George looked around the room. “We can pack up and take most of this to the Burrow. It’s probably better we were home now, anyway.”

At that moment, there was an urgent banging on the front door. Fred and George drew their wands as they rushed to the front of the store, Kasia not far behind them.

Banging on the door was Bill. Fred wrenched open the door and asked in a rush, “Is something wrong? Is everyone okay?” Without waiting for an answer, he pulled Bill inside and closed the door.

“Everyone is fine, but I need to get you out of here. Grab whatever you need right now and let’s go,” Bill said quickly.

“Wait, what is this all about?” Fred asked not moving from his spot by the door.

Bill took a deep breath before he explained. “Last night, out of the blue, Luna Lovegood, Dean Thomas, and Mr Ollivander showed up at my place. They were brought there by Dobby…” Bill was cut off by Fred.

“Dobby? The house-elf Harry helped to free? What? How?”

“If you give me a minute, I’ll explain,” Bill said, his tone slightly aggravated. He knew he had to get them out of there now, but they wanted to know why.

“Dobby had rescued them from the cellar at Malfoy Manor. How he knew they were there, I don’t know, but Ron told him to bring them to Shell Cottage, so he did. He left them there and went back to get Ron, Harry and Hermione, who were also being held there. I don’t know the exact details yet, but they didn’t go with them because apparently Hermione was being held upstairs and tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange.

“Ron and Harry went to rescue her.” Bill held up his hand to stop the questions. “She is fine, they are all fine. They are at the cottage now. The only causality was Dobby. Bellatrix threw a knife as he and Harry and Griphook were Apparating out and hit him in the back.” Bill stopped and hoped they would just accept what he was saying and not argue.

“We need to get you out of here before the Death Eaters show up looking for you. I already warned the rest of the family, and by now they will be at Auntie Muriel’s. We need to go, now.” Bill looked at each twin.

Looking over at Fred, George said, “Good thing we had already planned to close shop. I’ll take Bill with me and we will handle the windows and protection spells, you and Kasia go and throw whatever you can in a box to take with us.” George started towards the door.

“We don’t have time for this!” Bill shouted.

“Guys, you go, I’ll take care of everything,” Kasia said. All three men looked at her. “What?”

“You can’t stay here. You have to go with us. If the Death Eaters show up here looking for us and find you, what do you think they will do to you for information on us?” George asked.

“But, I don’t know anything. Why would they bother with me?” she asked.

“Where are we going?” Fred asked loudly and quickly startling her.

“To your Aunt Muriel’s,” she replied instantly without thinking.

“Exactly,” Fred said a smile on his face. He grabbed her hand and dragged her into the backroom to help him gather everything he could in the few minutes he knew Bill would give them.

She didn’t even bother to try to argue. Deep down, she knew he was right. She would endanger them if the Death Eaters found her alone.

***

An hour later found her walking up a grassy path towards what looked like an abandoned lot. Bill had explained that while he knew the location of the house, he was not the Secret Keeper and therefore could not tell Kasia, nor could he or his brothers bring her into the protected area. He had sent a message to his dad telling him she would be accompanying them. Bill told her his father would be waiting at the border to the property to tell her where the house was.

Kasia understood the mechanics of the Fidelius Charm. Professor Flitwick had explained it in great detail to them in their sixth year, but she had never seen it used.

Mr Weasley smiled at them as they walked up to him. Greeting Kasia, he whispered the house’s location in her ear. As the words left his mouth, the house suddenly appeared not thirty feet in front of her. When she gasped, Fred and George burst out laughing.

“Pretty cool, huh?” asked George. Smiling, she nodded.

“I’ve got to get back home. I’ll send word as soon as I can,” Bill said as he gave his father a quick hug. He walked over and hugged each of his brother’s in turn. “Behave and don’t give Auntie Muriel too hard a time,” he said to them. Then turning to Kasia, after a moment’s hesitation, he hugged her too. “Try to keep them in line, will you?” he asked her. Nodding, she gave him a brief smile. Bill turned and with a small crack, disappeared.

As they entered the house, Mrs Weasley stood waiting for them in the entranceway. She hugged each of her sons and then turned to Kasia. Smiling, she drew her into a hug and murmured in her ear, “I am glad you are here. Perhaps you can keep these two in line so that they don’t upset Auntie Muriel too much.”

Kasia didn’t know what to say. First Bill, now Mrs Weasley. Did they really think she had any control or influence over either of the twins? If anything, they influenced her. Smiling, she nodded her head and said simply, “I’ll try.”

***

It was at dinner that night that Aunt Muriel realised Kasia was there. Aunt Muriel had been ‘indisposed’ all day, according to Mrs Weasley.

“You there, girl,” Aunt Muriel called down the table, “do I know you?”

“Um, we did meet at Bill’s wedding, but only briefly,” Kasia replied. “My name is Kasia, Kasia Leven, ma’am.”

“Leven? Leven? Are you any relation to Kasiaopedia Smethwyk Leven?” Muriel asked.

“Yes, she was my grandmother,” Kasia answered, her voice catching a bit in her throat. Her grandmother had died the summer after her first year at Hogwarts. Kasia still missed her everyday.

“I thought so; you look like her when she was your age. Kasiaopedia and I were best friends through school.” Muriel smiled wistfully at the memory.

For the rest of dinner, Muriel was lost in her own thoughts of Kasia’s grandmother. As everyone got up to leave the table, Muriel called to Kasia, “Girl, I would like to see you tomorrow in the drawing room. Will you join me there in the morning for tea?”

Kasia looked down the table at Muriel. “I would be honoured, ma’am,” she replied. Smiling at the rest of the Weasley’s, she turned and went to her room. She had been up all night and all day, she just wanted to get some sleep.

***

Over the next month, the house was often visited by members of the Order of the Phoenix. Kasia was often found sitting with Muriel talking about her grandmother, the result of this being the endless teasing and taunts from both Fred and George.

It was after dinner one night when Muriel brought up Kasia’s name. “You are named after her. You should be honoured to carry such a name. She was a marvellous witch and an extraordinary person. What is it, my dear, that you do not like about your name?” Muriel asked in her normal gruff way.

“It isn’t so much I don’t like my name; I hate when someone says it wrong. When that happens, I wish I had a different name.” Kasia looked down at her lap as she spoke.

“Look at me!” Muriel commanded. “Your grandmother would have told you that was nonsense. I am telling you that is nonsense. You should be proud of your name and when someone says it wrong, just do one of two things. Either look down your nose at them and ignore them, or correct them with all the sweetness in your voice you can muster. That will confuse them.” Muriel laughed at the thought.

“Now, I must be going to bed. I expect Bill will be bringing that old fool Ollivander tomorrow at some point. Another person staying here, this place is much too crowded to begin with. All these Weasleys running around…” Muriel’s voice trailed off as she turned and walked out of the room.

Kasia had to smile. She knew the old woman was thrilled to have her home be the centre of activity. She put on a good front though as to it bothering her. Kasia decided it was probably a good idea for her to head to her room also. She wanted to update her paperwork for the shop.

Try as she might, Kasia could not concentrate on the work she should have been doing. Instead, she was thinking about what Auntie Muriel (she insisted Kasia call her this, too) had said about her name.

She knew she had been named for her grandmother. She only wished in some way that she had been given her grandmother’s full name, Kasiaopedia. She thought less people would pronounce that wrong.

She thought back to the conversation with Auntie Muriel.

“What does it matter if someone who doesn’t matter to you, someone you don’t know and will probably never see again, doesn’t get your name right? The important people in you life,” Aunt Muriel smiled knowingly, “he, I mean, they get it right, don’t they?”

Kasia looked at her quizzically before asking, “He who?”

“That nice young man you and my nephews were closeted up with in the basement yesterday. Don’t think I didn’t notice. I know everything that goes on in my house.” Aunt Muriel smiled.

She reached over and patted Kasia’s hand. “Lee? He is just a friend, like Fred and George,” Kasia said hesitantly. “My best friends. The three of them are my best friends.”

“Well, you may think of him as just a friend, but he doesn’t look at you like just a friend.”


Did Lee think of her as more than a friend? No, that was crazy. Yes, they grew quite close during their seventh year at Hogwarts, but as more than a friend? Kasia thought back to that last year at Hogwarts. He had always been the first to correct anyone who said her name wrong, often before she could. He always told her not to worry about it; if they couldn’t be bothered to say her name the right way, then they weren’t worth it.

Lee loved her name. He told her it was unique, just like she was. Perhaps there was more to Lee than she realised.

And perhaps, just perhaps, Auntie Muriel and Lee were right. Perhaps her name wasn’t as bad as she thought. After all, she was named after a great witch.

Deciding it was past time to go to bed, she got up from the little desk in her room and walked over to her bed. She thought about her name and how everyone who mattered to her always had gotten it right. They never had said her name wrong, not once.

As she was drifted off to sleep, she found herself thinking about how she felt about Lee. Those thoughts were even more puzzling than how she was learning to actually like her name.
End Notes:
This started out as a one-shot, but it is going to be a chaptered story now. Stay tuned for more of Kasia's adventures.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=80730