Thinking of you. by randomscribblings
Summary: Just a random story I came up with over Christmas. SB/RL. Sirius realizes his true feelings for Remus, who discovers something interesting about a fellow student. Will Remus ever notice Sirius?
Categories: Same-Sex Pairings Characters: None
Warnings: Slash
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 5890 Read: 6996 Published: 12/30/04 Updated: 01/18/05

1. Stealing glances. by randomscribblings

2. Werwolves and Mudbloods by randomscribblings

3. Confessions of a teenage werewolf. by randomscribblings

Stealing glances. by randomscribblings
I don't own any of this stuff, it's all JK's so yeah ...



It was a calm, blue-skied April day. The grass was a deep shade of green, and was only interrupted here and there by a few daisies and dandelions. The lake glistened in the afternoon sun, a few ripples here and there coming from an unknown source. To the fifth years, O.W.L.s seemed a long way off, so most of them were either visiting Hogsmeade, or merely roaming the castle and meeting up with friends.

One of the few exceptions was Remus Lupin, who was lounging underneath one of the oak trees out in the grounds. He was one of the few fifth years who had actually started to consider the exams, so here he was, reading a battered-looking book out in the sunshine, while the majority of his fellow students were having ‘fun’. Not that he felt in anyway left out; to him the whole purpose of spring was to spend lazy weekend afternoons reading. Though his thoughts were mostly with his book, Remus occasionally glanced up from the thin pages to scan the grounds with his sea-blue eyes for any signs of his friends. These were of course, James Potter and Sirius Black. There was also meek little Peter Pettigrew, who was often seen tagging along with the other two, but Remus tried to distance himself from Peter these days “ the kid gave him the creeps.

Time passed peacefully this way, and the only movements Remus noticed was that of another Gryffindor fifth-year, who went by the name of Lily Evans. She too had chosen to use the rare moment of sunshine out in the grounds studying. Then, almost to Remus’ despair, out came Sirius Black. A broad grin on his face, his dark, shaggy hair hanging loose over his shoulders. Remus forced a small smile to form o his pale lips as the Animagus neared him “ he wasn’t in the mood for an overly-cheerfully Sirius right now. Sirius had obviously spotted Remus too, as he was heading straight for the werewolf.

“Oi, Moony!” Sirius called as he approached.

“Afternoon Padders,” Remus answered feebly. Sirius collapsed onto the grass beside Remus, choosing to lie on his back with his grey eyes closed, those eyes that most girls at the school would gladly gaze into for the rest of their lives.

“Try to be a little more cheerful Remmy!” Sirius laughed in his doglike way, though by now he was used to Remus’ odd moods, even if they seemed exceedingly strange to him. “Why are you reading on a nice day like this anyway?” he added. In one swift movement, he’d grabbed the old book out of Remus’ pale hands, and was flicking through the battered pages nonchalantly.

”It’s Defence stuff,” Remus said quietly, answering Sirius’ silent question. He sighed a little, now completely resigned to Sirius’ antics.

“So very interesting Remmy,” Sirius said sarcastically, while handing the book back to Remus who gladly snatched it back, stowing it safely away in his pocket.

”It might be useful one of these days,” Remus said thoughtfully, his pale face expressionless. Sirius nodded in response, and sat up quickly. He glanced around the grounds before his eyes rested on Lily, and a small grin crept across his face.

”You mean against people like her?” he asked Remus, jerking his head in Lily’s direction.

A little grin played over Remus’ face as he replied quietly,

“Oh yes, definitely against people like her,” Remus replied quietly, chuckling a little to himself.

“Sirius Black I heard that!” yelled the famous Lily Evans, emerald eyes narrowed and brow knitted.

”How does she do that?” Sirius muttered angrily to Remus.

”Leave me alone Evans,” Sirius called back casually. “All I’m doing is having a mature conversation with my boyfriend,” he continued, but paused as he realized what he’d said. His cold eyes grew wide and his normally pale cheeks turned scarlet.

“I meant my boy friend, as in a male who is my friend,” he added desperately, trying to save the situation. Lily merely laughed in reply, a wide grin spread across her freckled cheeks. “Ok, I’ll just leave you and your boyfriend alone then shall I?” she shouted to Sirius, a bit too loudly for his liking. Sirius turned to face Remus, his cheeks still rosy red.

“She’ll never let me live that down,” he groaned quietly. Remus smiled a little and replied casually, “Forget it, you didn’t mean it.” And with that, he took out his old book again, resuming his reading. Sirius sighed inwardly, gazing at his silent, reading friend. “If only you knew,” he thought to himself. He lowered his head to stare blankly at the grass, observing every blade as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

“So do you think Evans will ever give in to James?” he asked cautiously, making sure that Lily couldn’t hear him. Remus grinned a little, and shook his head.

“If they ever get together, I will eat my socks,” he said, still staring down at the pages of his book. “With maple syrup,” he finished with a decisive nod. Sirius chuckled to himself at that before answering,

“Well get your socks ready, I’m sure he’ll do it one day.”

Sirius looked up from the floor and discreetly watched Remus. Grey eyes studied everything on the other boy's face in a way they never had - or rather, took the time to - before. His gaze shifted from the faint outline of a scar that marked that cheek, to those eyes that glistened with a sadness that made his own heart sink, to the shadows of the flames that danced along the soft, pale flesh of that face. Aside from their gentle, almost inaudible breaths, all that filled Sirius' awed silence was the faint rustle every few minutes as Remus turned the pages of his seemingly never-ending book.

Remus shrugged, looking up so his blue eyes met Sirius’ grey ones. He was a little surprised at this, but otherwise ignored it for now.

”I sometimes wonder if its your fault that they don’t get together,” he said thoughtfully, choosing his words carefully. Sirius raised his eyebrows, surprised and a little hurt at Remus’ comment.

“Way to shoot a man down Moony,” he said quietly, looking down at the ground. “Are you trying to suggest something?” he added fiercely, quickly standing up with his hands placed firmly on his hips. Remus shook his head quickly, causing a lock of mouse-brown hair to fall into his eyes. He impatiently brushed it away with a quick swish of his pale hand. Just those two movements caused Sirius’ anger to abate, caused his knees to go weak.

”I’m only saying that maybe Evans doesn’t want to go out with James because it would mean spending more time with you. I think you annoy her even more than James does,” Remus replied earnestly, waiting for the volcano to erupt. Sirius’ glare morphed into a grin, as he sat down again.

“Never mind,” he said quietly, ruffling Remus’ hair. Remus glanced sideways at Sirius, not sure what to think of that. That was the problem with Sirius, you could never tell if he was being serious or not. At least, Remus couldn’t. As the two boys’ eyes met for the second time that afternoon, Remus smiled a little. Deciding that maybe Sirius maybe wasn’t that bad, he offered a small smile before turning his gaze back to the book. Sirius sighed as Remus turned away, before turning his head slightly so he could look up at the castle. The grounds were still almost empty, just Remus and him and Lily out here. Then he spotted another Gryffindor fifth year, his own jet-black hair even more unruly-looking than Sirius’. This is where the similarities ended. This fifth-year was obsessed with a certain redhead, and was chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. The tall boy was standing aimlessly near a clump of trees, clearly trying to spot his friends. Sirius decided to put his mate out of his misery, and yelled at the top of his lungs,

“OI! PRONGSIE!” The other boy turned his head at that, and saw Remus and Sirius. He sprinted over to them, a small smile on his far from ugly face. Yes, it was almost handsome, but there was that arrogant smirk he seemed to always carry around with him. That and the proud air that seemed to follow him “ giving you the feeling that he was only spending time with you because he had nothing better to do.

“Alright Moony? Padfoot?” James Potter greeted them cheerfully, before sitting down next to Sirius.

“Afternoon James,” Remus replied quietly without looking up from his book. They all fell silent for a few minutes; James gazing over at Lily who was completely ignoring him, Remus reading, and Sirius staring endlessly at Remus.

“I’m bored,” James declared after a few minutes, lifting a hand to ruffle his already messy hair.

”Try reading, that’s what I do when I’m bored,” Remus replied vaguely, his eyes still locked on his book.

”That’s the thing Remmy, you’re making me bored just watching you read,” Sirius grumbled quietly. James, who was still admiring Lily from afar, turned his head to look at Sirius.

“I don’t know why she doesn’t like me,” he said doubtfully to Sirius, a faint frown appearing on his face.

“Don’t worry about it mate. I bet she really likes you “ people often hide things like that,” he said sincerely, stealing a glance at Remus. James’ expression cleared, leaving a bright smile.

“Do you think so?” he asked hopefully, then added without waiting for an answer, “I’ll get her someday.” Sirius smiled, and patted James lightly on the shoulder.

“That’s the spirit,” he said before turning away from James to look at Remus.

“What’s the matter Moony? What are you being so quiet?” he asked the silent werewolf.

“I’m reading,” Remus muttered through clenched teeth. “And what’s there to say? You’re only doing the usual; talking about Evans and complaining about me,” he answered dully. A number of emotions rushed through Sirius’ head; anger, surprise, confusion, and finally guilt. But before he could say anything, “Look what you’ve done now Padfoot, gone and upset poor old Remus again,” James commented under his breath. “Kiss and make up!” he added jokingly, smirking a little. Sirius turned to glare at James; his usually full lips now a thin line.

“What? Its only an expression!” James said hastily, a little surprised at his friend’s reaction. Wasn’t Sirius meant to be the funny one around here, who laughed at anything? He must really have hit close to the mark on that one. But then again, Sirius had been acting a little odd for a while now, probably just exam stress. Sirius merely rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue at James, before turning to face Remus again.

“Look Remmy, I’m sorry. I’m not complaining about you, its just, well you know I don’t like books. Also, if it bothers you, I won’t mention Evans again,” Sirius apologized, his expression very solemn for once. Remus glanced up from his book and raised an eyebrow at his friend.

“Ok, Sirius, you’re scaring me here. Since when did you care about my feelings?” he said, feeling a little puzzled. It was true, normally Sirius strutted around the place, throwing out random insults and compliments to anyone, not really caring how they might feel about it.

“I mean, apology accepted,” Remus finished with a weak grin.

Werwolves and Mudbloods by randomscribblings
Blah blah I don't own any of this, I don't even own the madeup character really! The werewolf subplot thing with Juliet the madeup is really thanks to my friend on neopets, irish_slayer_gal, but she doesn't mind. Oh and thanks for all the reviews! I didn't think I'd get so many! Sooooo ... on with the story!



Sorry about this, but there’s not too much SB/RL in this chapter. Its mostly just developing the story, but I promise you more romance in the next chapter, hopefully! Oh, and thanks for all the review so far, they're very encouraging!


Sirius quickly looked away from Remus, and began scanning the grounds yet again. Nothing much had changed apart from the fact that Juliet Brown was reading with Lily now, they were both settled quite comfortably on the grass under an oak tree, silently reading books. Juliet and Lily were best friends, mainly because they both enjoyed reading as much as the other. In spite of this Juliet sometimes conversed with the marauders, much to Lily’s disgust. Juliet and Remus got on quite well, and they were often seen going over their homework notes together. She had very pale skin, which appeared even paler due to her midnight black hair. Her crystal blue eyes always appeared faraway, as if her thoughts weren’t really with the goings on around her. She was also a Gryffindor fifth year, which helped, as Lily and her were almost inseparable.

As if he was merely bored with the peacefulness of the afternoon, Sirius cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled,

“Hey, Jo! Over here!” Lily gave Juliet a meaningful look, and nodded her head slowly. Juliet returned the nod and stood up, strolling over to the three boys and their tree. She lifted a hand in greeting to both James and Sirius, and offered one of her small, rare smiles to Remus.

“Hi Juliet,” Remus muttered, though his eyes were still on his open book. Juliet’s smile faded a little, and she lowered he eyes down to her feet.

”God Remmy, its Jo. How many times do I have to tell you?” she said quietly with a hint of remorse.

”Jo then,” Remus replied just as quietly, clearly far too immersed in his book to be bothered by such a trivial thing as someone’s name.

James glanced up to the castle, and to his annoyance, he noticed Severus Snape who was making his way down to the lake. The only reason that James didn’t lift is wand right then and blast Snape’s oily nose into smithereens was that he knew Lily would eternally hate him if he did such a thing. That is, if she didn’t already eternally hate him. She had a thing for standing up for Snape, or maybe she just felt it was her duty as a prefect. Either way, he didn’t deserve it, he was always calling her names because she was a muggle born. James thought that Severus was going to do the usual “ slither over to his spot by the lake and bury his greasy nose in a book. So, the Gryffindor turned his head, deciding to attempt a conversation with Sirius. But, out of the corner of his sharp, Quidditch trained eye, he saw that Snape was approaching Lily. Juliet had noticed too, as she’d ripped her gaze off of Remus’ face and was staring over her shoulder at Lily and Snape. Juliet was definitely not one of those girly bookworm types who avoided fights at all costs. Sure, she enjoyed studying, but anyone who had been on the receiving end of one of her frogs legs hexes never forgot it in a hurry. She jumped up suddenly and straightened her robes, then marched over to where Snape and Lily appeared to be deep in conversation. James followed suit, quickly checking his back pocket for his wand.

”What are you doing Snape? Picking on girls?” James snarled once he reached the other three. Snape looked away from Lily and a faint grimace appeared on his pallid face as his cold, grey eyes rested on James.

”What are you talking about Potter?” he answered coolly, folding his arms across his chest. Lily gaped noiselessly from James, to Snape, to Juliet, then back to James, her emerald eyes darting back and forth as if she were watching a fly.

”Just because you hate Snape with a passion doesn’t mean I can’t talk with him,” she said quietly but firmly.

”We were discussing our O.W.L.s,” she continued, but paused at James’ vacant expression.

”You know, O.W.L.s? The exams we’re all taking in two months?” she added desperately, waving her arms around in exasperation.

”That’s ages away! I mean, I knew you two are swots but, that’s going a bit too far isn’t it?” James replied, laughing a little at his own words. Snape smirked, pulling at a loose thread on his sleeve..

“Potter, shut up,” Snape said slowly, but raising his voice a little which made a nearby group of first years cease their nattering to observe the unfolding drama.

“Snape,” Lily warned, obviously sensing that there was an argument brewing.

”You can shut it too, Mudblood,” Snape said a little louder, almost yelling no w. Before either Juliet or James could do anything, Lily was running back up to the castle tears streaming down her cheeks.

”That’s your cue to follow her in a n attempt to comfort her,” a low voice murmured at James’ elbow, who turned to see that Remus was standing a little behind him, obviously watching the whole thing. James listened to Remus’ words, (for once) and high-tailed it up towards the castle. Joliet watched as he ran off, before turning to glare at Snape once the boy had disappeared into the castle.

”You make me sick,” she spat, staring unblinkingly at him.

”Me? Make you sick? You’re the wolf!” Snape replied casually, returning Juliet’s stare clearly awaiting her reaction with interest.

Remus wasn’t sure what to make of those three words. Could quiet, studious Juliet really be a fellow werewolf? True, she did have monthly mood swings and sometimes appeared a little worse for wear, but wasn’t that more or less normal? Besides, Remus was usually so stressed and worn out when a full moon was approaching, he didn’t bother much about his friends’ appearances.

Juliet fell silent, her small blue eyes slowly filling up with tears, then she too was sprinting up to the castle. Snape threw Remus a careless glance, then made his way over to a clump of bushed, sitting down and starting a nice big Dark Arts book. Remus shrugged, deciding to forget the whole episode. He returned to Sirius, who was still sitting underneath the tree, appearing a little piqued and staring expressionlessly across the lake to the Forbidden Forest.

”What’s the matter Padders?” Remus inquired, once he was sitting on the grass beside Sirius. The werewolf was a little surprised at his friend’s behavior, who normally couldn’t stop talking.

”Nothing. Just thinking,” Sirius mumbled in reply, eyes still fixed on the forest as if he couldn’t bring himself to look at Remus.

”Yeah right. You’re never quiet and you never think,” Remus murmured. There were a few moments of silence, during which Remus thought of Juliet, and Sirius thought about Remus. Should he go after her? He was very curious as to whether she was really a werewolf or not … while Sirius’ brain was full of Remus: Should he confess? You only live once, what if he died tomorrow? Sirius slowly opened his mouth, willing himself to speak when Remus suddenly said,

”I’m just going to find Jo.” Sirius bit his lip, glad that he hadn’t spoke. Remus obviously liked Jo, so there was no point. Even so … he compromised and decided to follow Remus to see what happened. Remus stood up and made his way up to the castle, blissfully unaware of Sirius who was but a few feet behind him the whole way.

It didn’t take him long to find Juliet “ he knew one of her favorite places where she tucked herself away with a good book. And sure enough, she was huddled up in a corner near the History of Magic classroom. She was facing away from him, but Remus could tell she was sobbing her heart out. Her shoulders were shaking uncontrollably and soft whimpering sounds were escaping her mouth every now and then. Remus crept up slowly behind her, and cleared his throat a little louder than he’d intended. She turned round quickly, revealing her red and blotchy tear-stained face. She chewed on her bottom lip, then turned away again.

”Moony?” came a voice from behind Remus, who whipped round and was surprised to see Sirius standing a few steps behind him.

”How did you get here? What do you want?” Remus blurted, wishing to get back to Juliet. He stared silently at the other boy for a while. For some reason Sirius’ usually haughty expression was replaced by a timid one. Maybe even a vulnerable one? Sirius vulnerable?

”I just wanted to tell you something,” Sirius replied softly, gazing intently at Remus with an odd look in his grey eyes.

”Can’t it wait? I need to talk with Jo,” Remus replied hastily, before turning back to Juliet who seemed to be ignoring the two boys.

”Remus, please just leave me alone,” Juliet said weakly, if a bit suddenly without looking at him. At this point Sirius walked away, giving up on the whole situation. At least Remus would be happy with Jo, and that’s all that mattered to him … wasn’t it?

“But Jo, I need to ask you something,” Remus pleaded. She looked up at him, her clear blue eyes filled with tears.

”Remmy just leave it,” she said dismally, averting her eyes from him for once.

”Are you, I mean did Snape lie about you being a “ “

“A werewolf,” she finished for him indifferently. “Yes, its true. I have no idea how he found out, but its true,” she added slowly, looking back up at Remus.

”Really? That’s brilliant!” Remus replied on an impulse, his voice free of sympathy.

”Its not brilliant, its horrible,” she said dully, a small tear rolling down one pink cheek.

”I know how you feel,” said Remus softly, leaning against the wall opposite Juliet.

”No you don’t,” she said bluntly. Remus nodded his head slowly, deciding there was nothing else for it but to tell her the truth.

”I know you won’t believe you, that you’ll think I’m making it up to make you feel better, but I’m a werewolf,” Remus said slowly and carefully, praying that she’d take him seriously. He couldn’t even begin to describe his feelings “ he just couldn’t believe his luck! He’d managed to find another werewolf, someone who truly understood the ordeal he had to go through every month. Yes, there were James, Sirius and Peter, but they didn’t know what it was really like. They thought it was an excuse to have a laugh, staying out all night, running around disguised as animals.

”Really?” Juliet said, her eyes brightening a little. “But, why didn’t they tell us?” she mused, referring to Dumbledore as ‘they.’ Remus shrugged, relieved that she at least seemed to believe him.

”Dumbledore probably had his reasons,” he answered thoughtfully. Juliet smiled weakly at him, and lifted a limp hand to wipe away a few tears.

”I know I’m being over the top. I don’t know why I’m crying,” she said finally after a few moments pause.

”Well I suppose I should go and see what Sirius wants. See you at dinner!” Remus said cheerfully. Juliet opened her mouth as if to say something, but then snapped it shut again. Remus smiled encouragingly down at her, then turned on his heel, heading for Gryffindor Tower.

”Oh, and Remus? Thanks!” she called after the retreating boy, who disappeared round the corner at the end of the corridor.

”Polyjuice,” he muttered under his breath a few minutes later as he reached the portrait outside the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. The door swung open, revealing an empty room, apart from a lone figure sitting by the fireplace. Apart from a fifth year with a mop of black hair. Apart from Sirius Black.

Confessions of a teenage werewolf. by randomscribblings
Thanks for all the reviews! Sorry, this chapter is shorter than the other two, but it ties up all the loose ends I think. I don't own any of this, blah blah, JK Rowling's characters, my imagination. Thankyou!



Remus smiled and waved at Sirius, but the other boy chose to ignore him. Sirius was perched at the very edge of an armchair, legs curled up under him. Remus shrugged to himself, and sank down into a chair across from Sirius’s. He fished his book out from his pocket again, and then resumed his reading. Chapter 12; Hints and Tips for practical Defence. Remus sat there contentedly for a good ten minutes, his eyes flicking back and forth across the thin pages, taking in all the scrawly faded words. Suddenly he realized that Sirius had achieved something “ he’d been silent for more than five minutes! Remus raised his head that had been bent low over the book, and gazed into Sirius’ unfocused grey eyes. He seemed transfixed by the wall opposite him. Then, out of nowhere he said calmly,

”You fancy Jo don’t you.” Remus stared at him, horrified that he could think such a thing.

”What do you think?” Remus replied sarcastically and rather indignantly.

”I dunno, that’s what I’m asking you. For all I know, you could fancy blokes!” Sirius answered casually.

”She was just telling me something,” said Remus quickly, desperate to change the subject and deciding it would be better if he didn’t tell Sirius exactly what Juliet had told him. She had been reluctant enough to admit to Remus.

”Well if she was telling you that she fancied you you’re a bit slow. A blind Hippogriff with no brain could tell that she likes you,” Sirius retorted with a glare, trying to keep his voice calm so as to cover the growing jealousy in his heart.

”Shut up,” Remus said weakly, and ran a pale hand through his mouse-brown hair. “And what if I did fancy blokes?” he continued quietly, studying Sirius’s face intently. Sirius was completely taken aback by his friend’s words, and wasn’t sure what to make of them.

”Are you pulling my leg?” he finally managed to murmur, gazing disbelievingly at the other boy.

”I never pull people’s legs. It’s a very rude thing to do if you ask me,” Remus replied, attempting a mock-solemn expression. Sirius sighed and lowered his eyes to the wooden floor, unable to look Remus in the eyes.

”Remus, don’t joke with me,” he half-whispered.

”Sorry,” said Remus, closing his book once again and placing it on the floor beside his chair.

”So what’s this about you fancying guys?” Sirius inquired, failing to hold back a small grin.

”You want to know the truth?”

”Yes,” Sirius answered simply, nodding and looking up at Remus again.

”Well it all started back in first year. I’d always felt a bit left out. It was always you and James this, you and James that. Everyone knew you two by name and sight, but I was always referred to as ‘that short one’. Or ‘James mate’. I put up with it till third year, but then you started acting different. You two talked to me a lot more, (and Peter joined our little gang) especially after you found out my secret. Back then we were just James, Sirius, Remus and Peter. No Prongs or Moony then,” Remus paused in his speech, seeing that Sirius was about to interrupt.

”You mean when we found about you being a wolfie, before we were Animagi?” he asked cautiously. Remus grumbled something inaudibly, then rolled and clicked his tongue impatiently.

”Yes, well done,” Remus continued in a voice dripping with sarcasm. “Anyway, after that, I sort of started to like you.”

”Like me?” Sirius interjected.

”Well yeah … in a different way from the way I liked James and Peter,” he paused hesitantly, searching for the right words. “I’ve tried to ignore my feelings for the past two years and, well, that’s it,” he finished awkwardly, hoping that he’d made sense. Sirius merely raised an eyebrow and stared at Remus as if he were one of the weird plants they were occasionally told to repot in Herbology.

”Well you did ask for the truth,” Remus murmured cautiously, suddenly regretting telling Sirius all that he had.

”It’s not that. I just didn’t know you felt that way,” Sirius replied softly, then looked up and noticed a small tear that was slowly falling down his friend’s cheek.

”I understand if you don’t feel the same, but thanks for letting me get it off my chest anyway,” mumbled Remus, shaking his head slowly and causing a lock of hair to fall into his eyes for the second time that day. This time Sirius smiled, and leaned forward in his chair, lifting a hand to tuck the offending hair behind Remus’ ear. Remus managed a small smile at his, but it soon faded as he felt a few tears escaping the safety of his blue eyes.

”I love you, even if you don’t feel for me,” Remus ventured, deciding that if he didn’t confess now, he never would.

”Well that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you all day!” Sirius replied.

”Really?” asked Remus, haunted by a niggling doubt that was telling him Sirius was pulling his leg. Sirius slowly leaned closer to the other boy, gradually decreasing the gap that divided the pair. As their lips met, Sirius smiled a faint smile, before they both closed their eyes, relaxing into a soft kiss. Suddenly Remus pulled away, his eyes and mouth both wide open.

”We can’t do this,” he said, reality knocking him on the head like a crateful of hammers.

”We just did,” replied Sirius casually, reaching out to wipe a tear from Remus’s cheek.

”No I don’t’ mean it like that,” Remus said, hunching over and placing his chin in his cupped hands. “I mean, what will James say?” he added, wishing he hadn’t got himself into this mess in the first place. But those soft, dark lips, those dark, grey eyes …

”Who cares what he thinks? Anyway, we could keep it a secret, at least till the end of seventh year,” Sirius said eagerly.

”But for how much longer Paddy? James is bound to be suspicious even if he doesn’t find out,” said Remus quietly.

”Hey, we’re rejects anyway. My family hates me, and you’re a werewolf. For all we know he might feel happy for us!”

”Your family doesn’t hate you.”

”Don’t lie, and don’t change the subject either.”

“You’re not a reject to me.” Sirius sighed, gnawing his bottom lip and staring blankly at the floor.

”You’re not a werewolf to me,” replied Sirius in almost a whisper, taking hold of one of Remus’s delicate hands in one of his one larger, rougher ones.

”Sirius Black, I do hope you’re not going all soppy on me!” Remus remarked, squeezing Sirius’s hand.

”Of course not! Me? Soppy? I just can’t resist your tiny little hands! And they’re so soft!”

”Um, ok then … my hands are only small compared to your giant ones, and they only seem soft because touching your hands is like rubbing sandpaper!”

”What’s wrong with rough hands?”

”Nothing! I’m only saying,” Remus broke off, his ears pricking up as he heard someone mutter the Gryffindor password on the other side of the portrait hole. Before either boy could let go of the other’s hand, James practically jumped into the common room.

”Hey why weren’t you two at dinner? Why are you holding hands? You’ll never guess what Lily said to me earlier!” James babbled, beaming down at Sirius and Remus once he’d skipped across the room to them.

”We weren’t hungry,” the two blushing boys said in unison.

”We’re holding hands because “ “ Sirius started, then looked helplessly at Remus.

”Because we were having an arm wrestle,” Remus finished with a nod.

”Well you’re doing it all wrong,” declared James confidently. “First off, your elbows should be resting on a table. But never mind about that. Ask me what Lily said.” Remus and Sirius exchanged withering glances. They’d heard this one before. About a thousand times before.

”Hmm, let me guess. She nearly confessed her undying love for you?” Sirius guessed with a smirk, causing Remus to burst into a fit of giggles.

”Not quite, but that’s pretty close!”! answered James enthusiastically. “After I caught up with her, she was still crying and she said that I was an insensitive toad! That’s a lot better than last week!” he finished with a wide grin.

Remus snorted at that, mumbling so that only Sirius could hear, “Well anything’s better than having chairs hurled at you isn’t it?”

”That sounds promising!” Sirius said encouragingly to James, kicking Remus lightly in the shins. James glared warily at the two of them, knowing that there was some private joke going on.

”Well, I’m going to bed. See you in the morning,” he told them, making his way over to the staircase that led up to the boys’ dormitories. “G’night!” he called back over his shoulder, before disappearing up the dark staircase. Remus and Sirius stared at each other for a few seconds, before bursting into hysterical shrieks of laughter. Maybe this whole, ‘keep it a secret’ thing wasn’t going to be so bad.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=8089