The Lions of Gryffindor by Equinox Chick
Past Featured StorySummary: It is June 1976 and The Marauders are at the top of their game. From the outside they look to have everything.But appearances, as the saying goes, can be deceptive.

James is discovering that not everything in life is his for the taking. Sirius knows he will have to defy his formidable family. Remus lives in constant fear of his life beyond Hogwarts. As for Peter... Well, Peter is struggling to live up to his friends.

The ties of friendship are strong, but war is raging and with a dark power rising those ties will inevitably fray.

Added to the mix is an adversary called Severus Snape, some lost House Points, a prank or two and a whole lot of Lily.

This is a Marauder tale.

This is a story of what made them special.

This is a story of why it started to go wrong for The Lions of Gryffindor.

OH MY GOOD GODRIC! Lions of Gryffindor won the 2009 QSQ for Best Marauders' Era Story. Amazed and incredibly grateful to those who nominated, judged and have beta'd this fic. THANK YOU.

.·ˆ¯)...(¯ˆ·.
¸.·ˆˆˆ(ºvº)ˆˆˆ·.¸
m m

Trick or Treat!
3. She clicks on her mouse and swipes her wand;
Some stories go up, and some stories are gone.
Stories of her own? Why, she has plenty!
Fewer than one-hundred, but far more than twenty.


Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 110875 Read: 214105 Published: 09/10/08 Updated: 04/28/12
Story Notes:
I am indebted to Terri (mudbloodproud) for the huge amount of work she's put into this. I owe you big time.
I would also like to thank Lyra (Lyratearsx) and Rhiannon (Entangled) for their part in beta'ing this tale. Another beta I owe a lot to is Cassie (ms leading) who has also put in a lot of effort for me.

Rated 3rd -5th years for later chapters.

Disclaimer- Most of the characters in this tale are the property of JK Rowling although some have been created by me. I would not dare to presume I could improve on her work- this is just my slant on her amazing world.

1. Chapter 1 Turning Point by Equinox Chick

2. Chapter 2- Advice From The Fat Lady by Equinox Chick

3. Chapter 3 - A Wand, a Boggart and a Wager. by Equinox Chick

4. Chapter 4 - The Bowtruckle Challenge by Equinox Chick

5. Chapter 5 - An Intriguing Muggle Girl. by Equinox Chick

6. Chapter 6- Godric's Hollow. by Equinox Chick

7. Chapter 7 - Treacle Tart and Quidditch. by Equinox Chick

8. Chapter 8 - Slythy Fen. by Equinox Chick

9. Chapter 9 Journeys to King's Cross by Equinox Chick

10. Chapter 10 Caught in the Crossfire by Equinox Chick

11. Chapter 11 - Potent Potions by Equinox Chick

12. Chapter 12 - Family Ties by Equinox Chick

13. Chapter 13 The Full Moon by Equinox Chick

14. Chapter 14 - Cold Light of Day by Equinox Chick

15. Chapter 15 - Hogsmeade by Equinox Chick

16. Chapter 16 - 'Feeble Girls' by Equinox Chick

17. Chapter 17 -Chaperone by Equinox Chick

18. Chapter 18 - Consequences by Equinox Chick

19. Chapter 19 - Dangerous Detention by Equinox Chick

20. Chapter 20 - Restricted by Equinox Chick

21. Chapter 21 - Puzzles by Equinox Chick

22. Chapter 22 - Out in the Open by Equinox Chick

23. Chapter 23 -Battlescars by Equinox Chick

Chapter 1 Turning Point by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
It’s a hot day at the end of June. The Marauders are sitting under a beech tree after their D.A.D.A. O.W.L. James is showing off. Peter is applauding madly. Remus is trying to revise. Sirius, however, is bored. Suddenly they spot their enemy, Severus Snape.

It was the final straw for Lily and Snape’s friendship. He lost her forever. It was also a turning point for James and the Marauders.

I have quoted directly from Snape’s Worst Memory from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This is simply to place this chapter in its correct context.

“Who wants to see me take off Snivelly’s pants?” said James furiously.

A giggling group of Hufflepuffs edged closer, enjoying the fun. The Gryffindor girls at the water’s edge looked their way, appearing to assent. However, he noticed one girl walking away. She gave a backward glance, a greedy longing look on her face, a longing to see Snape’s humiliation. Then she reluctantly turned away, jogging after Lily. He recognised the short, slight figure of Mary MacDonald.

As he watched her go, a sudden movement like a streak of light, caught his eye. He swivelled round, expecting a Slytherin protagonist to come to the rescue, but there was no one there. No one had fired a spell in Snape's defence.

“C’mon Prongs,” said Sirius lazily.

Snape was writhing under their spell, comically suspended, showing shabby grey pants and stick-like legs. All thought of his predicament gone, he was no longer cursing his two enemies but yelping like a wounded animal.

“No! No! No! Lily! NO!”

James turned back still looking bemused. Peter was staring at the scene, his eyes shining. Remus had his head in a book, his knuckles white.

“Hmm,” pondered Sirius, “look at those disgusting pants, everybody! Don’t you ever wash, Snivellus? Tergeo!

However, the pants remained grey.

‘They’re old, not dirty,’ thought James. ‘He can’t afford new ones.’

Despite everything Snape was, James felt pity.

“Sirius, leave it!” he commanded.

Sirius, unused to the use of his first name from his best friend, jerked his wand arm causing Snape to crash to the ground. Without bothering to pick up his precious exam paper or even his wand, Snape ran off in the direction Lily had taken.

“What in the name of Merlin was that all about?” exclaimed Sirius.

“Can’t explain mate,” James said, sighing heavily.

“Perhaps you’d care to explain to me!” said a stern voice behind them.

Sirius groaned. The other students disappeared as quickly as if they’d Apparated leaving only Remus and Peter hanging back.

It was Professor McGonagall. Her eyes blazed fiercely, causing even Sirius to quake.

“Brave Gryffindors all!” she said sarcastically. “Black and Potter, you will report to my office at eight o’clock tonight.”

She glared at the other two. She saw an excited Peter standing between his friends. She knew he’d wear any punishment he received like a badge of honour.

“Pettigrew,” she said sharply,” “I do not believe you were directly involved in this incident.” She waited a heartbeat before continuing, “however, knowing your tendency to be led astray, I want you to return to the Common Room and try to stay out of trouble.”

Peter debated staying but knew she was not a woman to cross. He picked up his books, stuffed them into his bag and sidled back to Gryffindor Tower.

She turned to Remus who was fiddling with his prefect badge, as if he were trying to hide it under the folds of his robe. “Mr Lupin, you will report to me with Black and Potter.”

“Oh, Professor,” exclaimed Sirius. “Remus had nothing to do with it.”

“A gallant response, Black, but Mr Lupin knows better.” She strode off, back to the castle.

James opened his mouth to protest, but thought better of it. Sirius looked mutinous and uncaring. They all started to pack up their books.

“Sorry, Moony,” chimed Sirius and James together.

“Forget it,” Remus replied shortly, “I was only going to revise.” He turned his back on them and made a show of fastening his bag.

“Does that hurt?” Sirius asked pointing to the gash in James’ face.

James raised a hand to his cheek, remembering the curse Snape had fired. What hex had that been? There was blood all over his robes but the spell had only glanced off his cheekbone.

Remus looked up. “Madam Pomfrey will sort you out. Padfoot will take you.”

“Yeah, come on, just think how much a scar will impress the witches,” teased Sirius, ruffling James’ hair. A sudden thought occurred to him. “Was that why you stopped? We had old Snivelly at our mercy, it was brilliant!”

“Nah,” said James, feigning cockiness. “Too easy,” he paused, gingerly touching his cheek.

“Look,” he said, “I’ll go and see Madam Pomfrey by myself. You two should check on Peter. He’s probably thinking up preposterous plans for taking on Snivellus straight away. I want to think about this carefully. We’ll get Snape some other time.”

Remus looked at him quizzically. Then he walked away, picking up Snape’s wand and exam paper, smoothing it out as he did so. He turned and looked squarely at his friend.

“Picking on Severus Snape is not the way to impress her, James, and you stopped far too late for Lily to see.”

James flushed as he walked off. He knew why he’d hesitated and it hadn’t just been Lily’s scorn. He’d seen something by that bush and it hadn’t been a student coming to Snape's rescue. It had been silver, fainter than a ghost and it had looked just like himself. However, it was a James Potter in shock. A James Potter with disgust on his face and just for a moment he’d felt ashamed.

*****************************************************************************************************

At eight o’ clock that evening, James walked nonchalantly to McGonagall’s office. He’d skipped tea, not wanting to see anyone, cocooned in confusing thoughts about the afternoon’s events. Sirius and Remus were there already, slouching against the wall. Remus looked glum, Sirius relaxed.

“Prongs,” Sirius barked, jumping up at the sight of him, “thought you’d given up on us.”

“Nah mate,” James grinned. “Just not hungry and wanted to get this cleaned up.” He showed them the cut on his cheek. It looked raw and it was still bleeding. “But the lovely Poppy’s not up to her usual standards,” he added slyly to Sirius.

Sirius blushed, or rather came as close to blushing as he was ever likely to. It was a private joke between the Marauders that Poppy Pomfrey exercised a strange fascination for Sirius. Thirty-seven years old, with chestnut hair, caught tightly in a bun, her severe yet nurturing nature caused a confusing mass of thoughts for the normally cool teenager. The door opened, saving Sirius the necessity of thinking up a sarcastic response to James’ jibe.

“Come in, boys,” ordered Professor McGonagall.

They trooped in obediently.

“Don’t shuffle, Black! Lift up your feet,” she snapped.

Upon entering the room, James stopped abruptly. Professor Dumbledore was sitting on a large, squashy chair, a chair that looked out of place in the Spartan surroundings of their housemistress' office. Remus and Sirius faltered.

“Ah, Messrs Potter, Black and Lupin,” he said lightly, but his voice belied the stern look in his blue eyes. “Professor McGonagall has been filling me in on this afternoon’s events, but it seems that there’s no explanation for such behaviour,” he finished, raising one eyebrow ironically.

James sighed; this was worse than he’d thought. He started to speak but Sirius jumped in first.

“Professor,” he said, “it’s my fault. It was a joke that went too far and um…” he trailed off.

“You admit that you started it, Black?” said Professor McGonagall, her shrewd eyes assessing the three boys’ faces.

James took over. “No. I started it. We were relieved the exam was over, we were bored and I thought…”

He stopped, trying to find a way of making the attack sound acceptable.

“You thought bullying a fellow student would provide entertainment?” flared Professor McGonagall.

“Oh, come on!” burst out Sirius. “Bully Snape? Since when has he left us alone? Look at James’ cheek! And he called Lily a Mudblood!”

“And that’s what started the fight?” asked Professor McGonagall.

“Err, not exactly,” mumbled James.

“So you weren’t rushing to her defence then? It wasn’t chivalry?” she continued mercilessly.

“When has Lily Evans ever needed anyone to rescue her?” said Sirius, laughing.

For a moment, James thought he saw Dumbledore’s mouth twitch. Then he turned to Remus.

“And you, Mr. Lupin,” Dumbledore asked, “what, pray tell, was your part in this unfortunate incident?”

“I...err, nothing,” stuttered Remus.

“You did not, perhaps, hurl a hex at Severus Snape?”

Remus shook his head.

“You cast no curses to incapacitate?”

Again, Remus shook his head.

“Did you attack him in any form this afternoon?” enquired Dumbledore.

“No. I did nothing,” he muttered, looking at his shoes.

“So why do you think you are you here?” questioned Dumbledore, his blue eyes piercing Remus through the half moon glasses.

Although Remus answered slowly, he hadn’t needed time to think. He touched the badge attached to his robes.

“Because I should have stopped it.”

“Precisely, Mr Lupin, precisely. Professor McGonagall and I gave you that badge for a reason," reproved Dumbledore, getting to his feet. “Minerva, I leave their punishment in your hands."

“B-but, but,” stammered Remus.

Dumbledore halted in the doorway.

“Do you have something to add, Mr Lupin?” His voice sounded cool. After a few moments without Remus continuing, Professor Dumbledore said, “If that is all then I shall…”

“No!” blurted out Remus. “That’s not all. I know I wasn’t being responsible. I know how much faith you’ve put in me and I know I’ve let you down but what’s the point?”

“The point? Why, what do you mean?” said Dumbledore in a surprised tone. He walked back to face him.

“Well,” continued Remus, “what was the point in making me a prefect, giving me this responsibility, when it won’t mean a damn thing?” He pulled the badge off and threw it viciously across the floor.

“Remus,” muttered James. “You’re making it worse. What’s the matter?”

“The matter? The matter?” shouted Remus at his friends. “I’ll tell you, shall I? You two continually mock me for being ‘Mr Perfect Prefect’.”

James and Sirius winced at his tone.

“Then there are all the other prefects talking about how great an opportunity it is to have the badge, because it will look so good when they apply for jobs at the Ministry. Slughorn’s favourites are already on their way to a sparkling future, thanks to him. But what about me?

“Even you, Professor McGonagall, couldn’t think of one profession that I could adequately aspire to in our careers talk last week. I could be Head Boy with 12 O.W.Ls and 9 ‘Outstanding’ N.E.W.Ts, and I’ll never be employed, will I? In the end, nothing I do will ever mean a damn thing because of what I am, a werewolf!”

There were tears streaming down his face, whether from sadness, frustration or fury James didn’t know. He felt embarrassed. Sirius, too, was uncomfortable, shuffling his feet and looking everywhere but at Remus. Professor McGonagall was still, very still.

“Remus,” said Dumbledore softly and a touch sadly. “You got the badge because you are the best, most responsible Gryffindor we have.

“I can’t pretend that life will ever be easy for you. In the end, though, you will do your best because that’s the very essence of the person you are.”

He gazed down at him and placed an arm on the boy’s still shuddering shoulders.

“Minerva, I shall take Remus with me. You may deal with Black and Potter.” Then, after picking up the discarded badge, he ushered the trembling boy out of the room.

James, Sirius and Professor McGonagall watched them go. James noticed she was pale and the usually stern eyes behind her glasses seemed wet, but then he was surprised to find his own eyes were swimming. She turned to both of them.

“You seem to seek Severus Snape out, don’t you?”

James and Sirius gulped. In the midst of Remus’ outburst, they’d forgotten why they were there.

“For five years you’ve had this feud. You may not like Severus Snape. You may dislike his house and hate his friends, but that does not excuse the fact that it was two against one for amusement. I expect better behaviour from my Gryffindors.”

They stood up straight and looked into her eyes, awaiting their punishment.

“Your stupid stunt today has cost Gryffindor fifty house points and has probably lost us the House Cup. You had better think of some way to make up those points, otherwise Ravenclaw will win again, and that will not make me happy!” She looked at them briefly then waved her hand impatiently.
“Go on! Get out of here.”

Cursing Snape and their luck in equal quantities, they made their way back to their common room. That morning the two hourglasses of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw had been neck and neck with only five points separating them but now the blue sapphires of Ravenclaw were far out in front, with Slytherin in second place. They were now only marginally ahead of Hufflepuff and would not be popular with their fellow Gryffindors.

“If only we’d taken off Snivelly’s pants! Then, maybe, they’d have forgiven us,” moaned Sirius. “Are you going soft on the greasy Slytherin or something?”

“Merlin, no,” murmured James, “but perhaps McGonagall’s right, ‘two against one’ is hardly fair.”

He touched his cheek. The cut had started to heal now and barely smarted. He grudgingly admired the speed and cleverness of the spell. He could even forgive Snape for hexing him; it was self-defence after all. However, he would never forgive him for using that word about Lily.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this story. Please leave a review.

The quote at the beginning has been taken directly from Snapes Worst Memory.
Chapter 2- Advice From The Fat Lady by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Following Professor McGonagall’s reprimand and the loss of housepoints James and Sirius return to Gryffindor Tower. They expect a hostile reception from their fellow Gryffindors so decide to skip the common room and head straight for their dormitory. However, they first have to get past The Fat Lady and she is not amused.

Many thanks to Terri (mudbloodproud) and Lyra (Lyrastearx) for beta'ing this chapter for me.

Word Count: 2911
Trudging back to Gryffindor Tower, James and Sirius knew they wouldn’t be popular, so decided to head straight for their dormitory. Wormtail, at least, wouldn’t be angry about the loss of points. Wormy was never angry with his friends.

“Perhaps they don’t know yet,” said Sirius hopefully.

But as they approached the common room door, they noticed a steely look in the Fat Lady’s eyes.

Gillyweed,” they muttered together.

She looked down on them scornfully. If there was one thing the Fat Lady took seriously, it was the honour of Gryffindor. These two lost and won more points for Gryffindor than the rest of their year, but with only two weeks of term left, the House Cup looked to be heading Ravenclaw's way. Their portrait, Dorothea Warblington “Opera Singer Extraordinaire”, which hung next to the statue of Rowena Ravenclaw, would be insufferable.

“The password has changed. I can’t let you in,” she snapped.

“What, so we’re supposed to stay out here all night?” argued Sirius, ignoring the restraining hand James had placed on his arm.

“Don’t you speak to me like that, Sirius Black,” she screeched, red in the face, eyes narrowed to slits.

She turned her face away from them. James could see her taking deep breaths in an effort to regain her aplomb. After a few minutes, she decided to move frames. Twisting her head over her shoulder, she announced regally that they could wait for the Head Boy. James and Sirius sat down under the empty portrait in silence. Nearly Headless Nick floated by. Usually he would have stopped to chat to James about Quidditch because James’ dash on a broom reminded Nick of his own schooldays. Instead, he trailed his cloak through them.

“Urghhh!” shivered Sirius. “I’ll never get used to that.”

He stopped, noticing James looking intently at the departing form of the Gryffindor ghost.

“What’s up, Prongs?” he enquired.

James turned round, a puzzled look on his face. “Do the Hogwarts’ ghosts go outside?” he said suddenly.

Sirius considered. “Yeah, I’m sure they can if they want to. Why do you ask?”

“I thought I saw one, earlier, by the lake”well I think it was a ghost but not one from the castle,” he pondered, more to himself than to his friend.

Sirius lost interest. The dead, so revered by his mother, did not concern him. They sat in silence for a few more minutes then heard the slow measured steps and authoritative voice of the Head Boy.

“Yes, thank you, dear lady. I’ll deal with them soon. You go on. I just want to…er…say goodbye.”

There was a small, suspiciously female, giggle coming from an unseen companion as he lowered his voice.

James and Sirius craned their necks round the banisters to see who he was with. The Head Boy had a girlfriend. This was huge.

“Who is it?” whispered James to Sirius, who was taller than he was.

“Blimey! It’s that Hufflepuff prefect, Rowle,” whispered Sirius excitedly.

“What Alice Rowle, the shrinking violet?”

“What are you saying about my good friend?” interrupted the Fat Lady as she hurried back to her frame, unwilling to miss a moment of their dressing down.

“Who, Alice Rowle?” James was puzzled.

“No, Violet”my good friend, Violet. What were you saying about her?”

“Nothing at all,” replied James impatiently “What can you tell us about the Head Boy and Rowle though?”

The Fat Lady pursed her lips. She was deeply disappointed with these two, but still…

“Boys, you know me, I’m not one to gossip, but Frank Longbottom and Alice Rowle have been courting for four months now.”

“WHAAAAAT!” whistled James. “How did we miss that? Blimey! Frank could have anyone… why Rowle?”

The steely look re-appeared in the Fat Lady’s eyes.

“Er…what I mean is,” continued James, hurriedly, “why not a Gryffindor girl?”

She looked slightly mollified. “Alice Rowle may not be a Gryffindor, Mr Potter, but she’s kind, caring, and clever enough to be a Ravenclaw. The Fat Friar is very proud of her. Frank’s mother…” she shivered involuntarily, “I remember her schooldays, let’s just say she’s a very forthright woman. Perhaps dear Frank needs harmony in his life.” She dabbed a lace handkerchief to her eyes and sighed romantically, lost in her thoughts.

“Can’t wait to tell Moony and Wormtail,” said James excitedly. Then his face fell. “Godric, no! Wasn’t she the girl we dared Wormy to ask out this year?”

“Can’t remember,” said Sirius uncertainly.

“Yes, it was! Don’t think he ever got over the rejection,” laughed James.

“Well it was your fault for putting him up to it, boosting his confidence like that,” said Sirius scornfully.

“I didn’t think she’d turn him down,” retorted James, huffily. “I mean they’re in the same league, looks-wise, not like when he tried Sonia Slattery, who isn’t even playing the same sport!”

“Ah,” said Sirius, sighing.

“Sonia, Sonia
Your hair gets blondia
And your legs are longia
Than a Centaur’s plo…”


“Ahem,” coughed James. “Fat Ladies present.”

“I thought Miss Slattery was your girlfriend, Mr Black,” said the Fat Lady beadily.

“Old news, dear lady,” said Sirius, yawning disdainfully. “I gave her the heave-ho last week.”

“Oh,” she replied, “she doesn’t seem very upset. She was giggling all the way up the stairs tonight.”

“Well,” said Sirius. “There you have it. That’s all she does, giggle. Although strictly speaking it’s more of a cackle! It got a bit wearing on the ears after a while. Perhaps she would have suited Wormy after all.”

“I think he was keener on Rowle, though,” considered James.

“What a shame you fed him all those crap lines,” laughed Sirius.

“They were great lines,” protested James.

“Huh!” mocked his friend. “Not worked for you though, have they, Prongs?”

“ ‘Lines’ won’t work on Lily Evans!” declared the Fat Lady sagely. “She’s not swayed by charm.”

James reddened and gnawed his lower lip peevishly. ‘Did the whole of Hogwarts know?’ he wondered.

“I’m rather an expert on romance, young man. You could do no better than to ask my advice,” she chimed.

“But you’re a portrait,” James spluttered in amazement.

“Yes, but I was painted from real life and I was quite a famous beauty in my time.” A faraway look appeared in her eyes as she continued her reminiscences.

“When I was a young witch, a certain wizard who could charm Dirigible Plums from bushes set his wizard’s hat at me. However, his charm and tricks didn’t work on me. I have never been a shallow witch, Mr. Potter. What I loved was dancing”not your new-fangled steps, proper dancing. Sir Guy”that was his name”planned a masked ball. Whilst in disguise, we wouldn’t know whom we were dancing with. He hoped to woo me with his dazzling dance steps.”

“But it didn’t work?” interrupted Sirius.

“Oh yes, Mr. Black, it worked and I married him. It was the disguise that didn’t work because of the smell.”

“The smell?” interjected James.

“Of Dirigible plums, Mr Potter,” she replied. “They stink to high heaven in the summer. Surely you know that!”

“You still married him though, despite the smell?” asked James, wondering what the point was of her story

“Yes, because he tried. Discerning witches like me and Miss Evans like a bit of effort and consideration.”

She paused for effect. “Now with my third husband it was quite a different story…”

Raising their eyebrows and turning snorts of laughter hurriedly into coughs, James and Sirius sat back down, trying to ignore the Fat Lady’s tales, which were becoming more extravagant now that she had an audience.

Shortly after nine, a slightly dishevelled Frank approached them with a serious look on his face.

“Venomous Tentacular,” he said quietly. The portrait door swung open; he gestured them to follow him. Up the stairs they went, past the common room and into a dorm: Frank’s dorm. As Head Boy, Frank was entitled to his own room but he preferred to share with the same friends that he’d arrived with in his first year. He looked at the two boys and waited. There was a long pause. The atmosphere seemed to freeze. Sirius thought it very like the atmosphere at Grimmauld Place whenever he walked into a room. James cracked first.

“What do you want us to say, Frank? We can“-and will”apologise eternally, but it’s done now.”

“McGonagall, Dumbledore, and the Fat Lady have already had a go, so I guess it’s your turn,” said Sirius.

“Lads,” sighed Frank, “I’m sick of trying. You two have given me more grief than the rest of Gryffindor put together. You hate authority, you have no respect, and you think Hogwarts is merely here for your entertainment.

“But Black, after your attempt at humour last month, tricking that Slytherin boy into the Whomping Willow…you nearly got expelled! Is that really what you want?”

Sirius looked down at his wand. He knew that if he’d been expelled, his mother would have come close to committing filicide.

“We messed up. We’ve screwed up Gryffindors chances for the House Cup and I’m sorry for you, Frank. It must mean a lot to the Head Boy to win it."

He paused. “We’ll get the points back, though.”

A smile appeared on Frank’s face. “I’m relying on it, boys. Now go, please, I think you have a few more people to apologise to.”

The pair headed back to their dorm, avoiding the common room, and putting off the inevitable for one night. They found Peter lying on his bed, disconsolately kicking his headboard. A copy of his Transfiguration textbook lay face down his stomach while he lay back trying to recount spells.

“I’m sorry,” he said miserably when he saw them, “I should have come with you.”

“Oh, Wormy,” said Sirius, irritably, “if you’d come along we’d have lost even more points, and your credit with the rest of Gryffindor isn’t as good as ours.”

He swung himself onto his own bed and began blasting tiny holes in his curtains with his wand. Peter looked on in awe; the skill needed for such pinprick holes was beyond him.

“Where’s Moony?” said Peter tearing his eyes away from Sirius.

“Dunno,” muttered James, “he went off with Dumbledore.”

“Dumbledore!” exclaimed Peter. “Why? What was he doing there? Surely ‘Perfect Prefect’ wasn’t in trouble?” he sniggered, meeting James’s eye.

“Shut up!” ordered James. “We’re not calling him that anymore.”

Peter wanted to ask why, but something in James’s tone stopped him. He swallowed, and then returned to his bed and hid behind his book.

Remus came in shortly after eleven, looking thoughtful. He wouldn’t tell them what Dumbledore had said and although very quiet, he was calm. James stopped prowling the room at his return and announced his intention to go to the kitchens.

“I’m hungry, for Merlin’s sake! I skipped dinner. Anyone coming?” He noticed Remus shaking his head, incredulously. “Look I’ll take the cloak and the map with me. Is that good enough?” And donning the cloak, making sure he was completely hidden, James left the dorm.

The common room was empty; he tapped the map and studied it intently, trying to find the safest route. He checked the dots on the map; Lily Evans was standing just outside the portrait door. But prefect duty was over; whom was she sneaking out to see? He rubbed his eyes…Severus Snape! The sight of his name on the map made James yelp. He approached the door, his wand in hand; ready to strike, but was nearly knocked out by the door flying open. Lily strode in looking determined and angry. He caught sight of Snivelly’s face and itched to hex him there and then, but McGonagall’s words echoed in his head.

‘Two against one for amusement.’

He did not doubt that she would think attacking Snape from under an invisibility cloak was equally unchivalrous.

Lily had a cold, hard look on her face as she slammed the portrait door but with Snape out of sight, James saw her face crumple. She sat on a chair in the corner and wept.

The next morning James woke the others and got dressed early.

“Where’s the fire?” moaned Sirius sleepily.

“I’m starving, Padfoot. I didn’t get to the kitchens last night after all.”

“Why?” said Remus suspiciously, rubbing sleep out of his eyes. “What have you been up to?”

“Cherchez la femme!” exclaimed Sirius, leaping out of bed. “C’mon Prongs, what’s the story? Who is she? How long? And does this mean you’ve forgotten all about Lily at last?”

“It was no one,” protested James “Really, there’s no one.”

“You’re blushing,” shouted Peter. “James Potter… you devious dugbog… you’ve scored! Tell all, now!”

The scenes from yesterday could have happened a month ago. With Sirius, Remus and Peter mocking him, the atmosphere lightened. But what could he say? He hadn’t gone to the kitchens because he hadn’t wanted to leave Lily in that state. He hadn’t revealed his presence to her but had kept vigil whilst she’d sobbed into the dead of night. Then, when the weeping was done and she’d fallen asleep, he’d gently laid a blanket over her. Once or twice, he’d been tempted to stroke her red, shining hair but not wishing to scare her, he’d left her alone. In the morning she no doubt woke and thought the house elves had found her.

Ignoring their clamouring, James hurtled out of the room and down the stairs for breakfast. They charged after him, jumping down the stairs two at a time, roaring incomprehensible threats and plans to make him tell all.

But at the bottom of the stairs, James stopped suddenly. Barring his way to the main hall was the bulky figure of the Gryffindor Quidditch captain. He twitched his head to the right.

“A word, Potter!” he spat, aggressively.

James signalled for the others to go on and turned to face the burley sixth year.

“You prat, Potter,” he snarled. “I worked my socks off all year to win the Quidditch Cup and get us the lead in the House Cup, and then you and your arse of a friend cock it up.”

You worked, Preston, you worked?” James retorted. “I thought we were a team. If any one person won us the cup it certainly wasn’t you with your morale-destroying team talks."

“What are you saying, Potter?” hissed his captain. “You reckon you won the cup single handed then, do you?”

“No.” James looked him straight in the eye. “I’m a Chaser, and a bloody good one, but I’m one person and I don’t win matches alone. I give credit to the team, but we won despite you. If any one person won us the Quidditch Cup, it was our Seeker over there. You might remember her, she’s the one you dropped against Hufflepuff in favour of your blundering best mate.”

He pointed to where fourth year Martha MacDonald was sitting with her friends, all straining to hear what the argument was about. Departing students were slowing down to listen to the row, and many more were lingering over breakfast. Even Professor McGonagall, who was not one to dawdle, seemed to be taking an inordinately long time to finish her soft-boiled egg.

“You’ve still lost us the House Cup, Potter,” spluttered Preston.

“Yeah, and that’s something I’m working on. It’s not lost yet!” said James angrily and shoulder barging the taller, burlier boy he joined the Marauders at the breakfast table.

“Preston McLaggan is the biggest GIT in the world!” he exploded. “How he became Quidditch captain… ” He stopped; it was a familiar rant which they’d heard many times before.

“Nice speech, James,” said a voice nearby.

The Marauders turned to see Mary and Lily, getting ready to leave.

“My sister will be pleased,” Mary said, winking slyly. Martha had a huge crush on James.

“Mary, Mary, Mary, my heart belongs to another,” said James, ignoring the sudden interest from his friends. “But you can tell her she’s the best Seeker I’ve ever played with.”

“When she took that snitch from right under Reg’s nose…brilliant!” said Peter, sighing happily. They all sat back remembering how Martha, even on a slower broom, had outfoxed Regulus Black, twisting and turning her way to the catch.

“How are you going to get the points back then, Potter?” asked Lily abruptly. She looked the same as always, except James could see dark circles under her eyes.

“Er, what?”

“You told Preston you’d get the points back and win Gryffindor the cup. What are you and your mates going to do? There are no lessons now for you to dazzle the teachers in and no Quidditch matches. The only things left are to save a life or…or… wrestle the giant squid! ”

“Hey, that’s a thought,” barked Sirius. “You and me, Prongs, down in the lake, rescuing Lily from the squid. Fifty points apiece, perhaps?”

“You won’t get me near the lake, Potter,” Lily snarled, seemingly unaware that it was Sirius’ idea. “Not in your wildest dreams!” She stomped off moodily.

“That’s a date then, Evans,” yelled James after her, to the giggles of the Gryffindor girls.

Lily stopped at the door, her eyes flashing furiously, her red hair dancing as if it were alive. She looked directly at James, held his gaze for a second, and then shook her head dismissively and walked away.

James smiled.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It would be great if you could leave a review.
Chapter 3 - A Wand, a Boggart and a Wager. by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
It’s the last day of O.W.Ls. The Marauders are getting ready for their last exam. Peter is nervous but the others have more pressing demands. How will they get the House Cup for Gryffindor? Just who was James with last night? More importantly “ now that they have Snape’s wand what would be the ultimate revenge?

Severus Snape is bitter. Logically he knows Lily is gone. Logically he knows it’s his fault. Logically he knows it was not James Potter who insulted her. But Severus Snape is angry and not using logic. He wants revenge on Potter- he just needs to find his weakness.

*indicates a quote from Hamlet in this chapter. William Shakespeare, in my opinion, was too talented to be a Muggle.

Thanks as ever to Terri (mudbloodproud) for beta'ing this chapter. Thanks also to Lyrastearsx for helping at the early stages.
With breakfast over, the Marauders headed back to Gryffindor Tower to prepare for their last exams. Peter was nervously chewing his nails”Transfiguration always caused him problems and he couldn’t rely on Remus to help him in the exam.

“Wormy, relax,” said Remus. “You’re an Animagus. There’s bound to be a question on Human Transfiguration.”

“Just don’t show off in the practical!” snorted Sirius. “Anyway, there’s a more pressing problem than today’s exam.”

“Mmm,” agreed James. “Regaining those house points. We need a good plan. Strategy, men; we need a strategy!”

“No, not that,” said Remus, catching Sirius’ eye. “We still have no idea where you went last night and who you were with.”

They jostled James companionably up the stairs.

“Mary?” guessed Sirius.

“No,” James replied.

“Phyllida?” fired Remus.

“Merlin, no! Ancient history and I don’t fancy a repeat!” countered James

“Sonia?” whispered Peter, with a worried look at Sirius.

“Look there was no one,” said James, hoping they’d shut up soon.

It was, however, a forlorn hope.

Sirius was staring at him intently. He opened his mouth to say something, closed it, smiled to himself then said nonchalantly, “Rose.”

“Who?” replied James.

“Rose Gleason. Hufflepuff fourth year.”

“Still no idea. Who are you talking about?”

“Dark hair, pale skin and that tiny mole above her left eye,” explained Sirius.

“Hmm, not sure.” James put on a bemused face.

“You know. She’s got a lisp, which given her name is a tragedy!”

“Oh, Rothe Gleathon! Nah, not her, but Thiriuth, you theem to know a lot about her and her ‘tiny mole’. Are you interethted?” James mocked.

Thus having diverted attention away from himself, James sprinted back to their room, laughing all the way.

The theory exam was due to start at ten, so to kill time they sat in their room playing Gobstones. Remus, alone of the four, was making his bed. He pulled up his blanket when something dropped on the floor.

“What’s that?” said Peter, who was facing that way.

Remus picked it up.

“It’s Snape’s wand. I picked it up yesterday.”

Sirius swivelled round. “His wand! Brilliant, chuck it over.”

“Why?” said Remus suspiciously, holding the wand firmly away from Sirius’ outstretched hand.

“Oh come on, Moony. We’ll never get this opportunity again. It’s Snivelly’s wand.” He emphasised his words as though he were speaking to a five-year-old.

“No,” said Remus. “It’s not ours. I meant to give it back last night. I just got distracted.”

Peter looked from one to the other. What was happening? Moony was never this assertive.

“Moony,” said Sirius, a touch threateningly. “Hand it over.”

“No!” said Remus tight-lipped.

“Prongs!” snapped Sirius. “You agree with me don’t you?”

“Err, leave me out of this,” James said warily.

Sirius turned round staring at him.

“Prongs, this is Snivelly’s wand! Do-you-understand?”

“Yes I understand. I’m just not sure about this.”

“He scarred you, cost us house points and insulted Lily. How many more reasons do you need?” exploded Sirius.

James took in the words. It would be the perfect prank”the perfect revenge. They could mess with the wand and screw up Snape’s chances in Transfiguration. It was so tempting. He held out his hand to Remus.

However, it wasn’t his friend, Moony, he saw before him. It was an authoritative Remus Lupin who stood there. Remus held Snape’s wand in one hand and his own in the other.

‘Was it worth the fight’? thought James. He knew instinctively that to Remus standing up to his friends was suddenly of vital importance “ but Snape had insulted her!

”Padfoot,” he said slowly. “Let Moony decide.” Then looking directly at Remus he continued, “Just one thing, I want to know what that spell was. Let me try something?”

“What are you planning?” said Remus warily.

“Trust me,” said James looking into his friend’s eyes.

Remus looked into the hazel eyes, not mocking, not laughing, but totally sincere. He placed Snape’s wand on the floor.

Sirius jerked his hand towards it then stopped.

James touched its tip with the tip of his own wand. “Priori Incantato!”

They stood back and watched as a grey silvery mist shot from the trembling wand. They heard the hiss of a spell from Snape (“Sectumsempra!”) then saw a grey image of James with blood splattering his face and robes.

“Deletrius!” whispered James. Snape’s wand lay lifeless on the floor.

It seemed more sinister watching the spell again. The Marauders were silent. They despised Snape for his obsession with the Dark Arts and laughed at his greasy hair, but this was shocking. There had been a real hatred behind Snape’s actions.

“That’s what you’re up against, James,” urged Sirius. “We shouldn’t just tamper with the wand, we should smash it!”

Peter and Remus started. Breaking another’s wand was a violation.

James shuddered. It was horrifying to think he’d caused that much hate. He felt revulsion for the thing on the floor. He kicked it towards Remus.

“No, give it back to him.” His hand moved to his cheek, which had started to throb again. He felt sick and fled from the room.

It was Sirius who found him retching in the toilets. James felt vaguely surprised, because Sirius didn’t “do” emotions. He thought Peter would have come along, but was glad to see his best friend.

“All right, mate?” said Sirius awkwardly,

James nodded. “I will be. Where are the others?”

“Gone to give the wand back.”

“Did you…Did you do anything to it?” James hardly dared to ask.

Sirius looked him straight in the eye. “No.”

Some colour had returned to James’ cheeks. “Why not? I thought you were all for breaking it.”

“Yeah, well, maybe you three are right and I’m totally wrong.” He sounded doubtful. “He hates us, James, and he hates you the most. That spell was dark magic and he’s very good at it.”

“But he’s alone, Sirius. Even the Slytherins think he’s an oddball whereas I’ve got Messrs. Moony, Wormtail and Padfoot watching my back.” He spoke with certainty.

“Anyway,” he continued, laughing, “I’m used to hatred”Evans has loathed me for years,” he joked.

“You sure about that?” said Sirius cryptically.

James’ head shot up.

“She couldn’t take her eyes off you at breakfast.”

“I was practically duelling with McLaggen. Everyone was watching us.”

“Everyone else was watching the both of you. But the lovely Lily was watching you alone,” corrected Sirius.

Even after all these years, James couldn’t tell when Sirius was joking. It was probably another prank “ he told himself sternly. However, he couldn’t stop his heart from leaping in his chest.

***


Remus and Peter walked down to the Great Hall to meet up with the other fifth years. Remus was scouring the hall, looking for Snape.

“That’s not your wand!” accused someone behind them.

They turned round. It was Lily.

“Why have you got that wand?” she demanded.

“It’s Snape’s,” said Peter. “He dropped it yesterday, after he called you a…” he trailed off.

Lily flushed. “So why have you got it? Potter hex it or something?”

“No,” explained Remus patiently. “We haven’t done anything to it, although…”

“Potter wanted to, but you two stopped him, all by yourselves?” she interrupted sarcastically.

“You always think the worst of him, don’t you?” blurted out Peter.

She switched her attention from the wand to him. “And you always think the best of him, don’t you?”

Remus stepped between them. As a fellow prefect, he alone of the four got on well with her. “Lily, for your information, it was Sirius who wanted to tamper with the wand, but James stopped him. Now if you don’t mind we’re trying to find Snape.”

“Oh,” she said quietly, and then cleared her throat. “Well, he’s over there.”

They turned. Snape was watching the three of them closely. He looked worried. The loss of his wand made him feel even more isolated. He would fail this exam and be forced to retake next year. Would his mum even buy him a new wand? Or would he be forced to use this second hand one that Slughorn had lent him that morning? He couldn’t bear it. He saw Remus and Peter approaching and stiffened. He was vulnerable to attack.

“Your wand,” said Remus simply, and held it out to him.

Cautiously, Snape took it. “What have you done to it?”

“Nothing at all,” they chimed together.

“Black and Potter have sent you two to do their dirty work then? Can’t face me?”

“No, Severus,” said Remus gently. “No one has sent us. I found your wand and now I am returning it to you.”

Snape glared at him. Remus using his first name, instead of that loathsome nickname, had momentarily silenced him. His black eyes bored into Remus’ brown ones.

“I know what you are,” Snape whispered. “A filthy half-breed!”

Remus flinched as if he’d been hexed. Peter pulled out his wand.

“Take that back!” he yelled.

“Well I could, or I could tell the whole school why you’re attempting, rather pathetically, to duel me,” sneered Snape.

Remus could see Professors Slughorn and McGonagall approaching. He pulled Peter’s wand down. Peter, remembering yesterday’s scolding, tried to merge into the background.

“I might have known it!” she said, testily. “Fighting again, Black, Potter…” she stopped, suddenly realising that they weren’t the culprits. “Oh, it’s you.”

“We’re not fighting, Professor,” said Remus, quickly. “I was returning Snape’s wand”that’s all.”

Snape glared at the duo, but did not dispute Remus’ words.

“Well, that is splendid news,” said Professor Slughorn, beaming. “Poor Severus was quite beside himself with its loss. He was out half the night looking for it, so he tells me. Five points to Gryffindor for such sportsmanlike behaviour. Now come along boys; the exam is about to start.”

There was a small scuffle at the back of the queue as Sirius and James pushed their way through to join them.

“What did we miss?” said Sirius excitedly.

“Snivelly, being Snivelly again,” dismissed Remus. “He refuses to believe we haven’t hexed his wand.”

“Does he now?” pondered Sirius. “Well, that is excellent news. He’ll now be so concerned about his wand that he’ll cock it all up anyway. And the best part is that we haven’t had to do a thing!”

Remus tried to look as though he disapproved, but failed.


Three hours later, they streamed out of the examination hall and went to grab a quick lunch. Sirius and James expressed a preference for whiling away the remainder of time in the grounds again, but Peter begged them for help.

“Please, I need to practise. You know I’m weak on switching spells.”

“Look Wormy,” said James. “In all honesty, how much difference is it going to make?”

“You’d be better off trying to relax,” put in Sirius. “Same place as yesterday, beech tree in the shade, and you can have a nap. James will lull you to sleep by telling you all about his amazing Quidditch season. ‘Goals I nearly scored!’” he laughed.

Remus snorted. He dearly wanted to cool down by the lake but he could see how scared Peter was.

“C’mon lads”it won’t hurt any of us to practise will it? Especially Vanishing spells. They’re bound to come up and, Padfoot, you got careless last time we did them. You left part of that Kneazle showing.”

“That, dear Moony,” said Sirius, airily, “wasn’t carelessness. It was deliberate. That Kneazle had the biggest set of bollocks I’d ever seen!”

He laughed at the memory. Lily, being Lily, had barely raised a smile whereas her partner, Sonia Slattery, had succumbed to hysterics. Shortly after that he’d asked her out. He looked at Peter; he’d barely heard a word of their exchange. He looked green. Sirius faltered.

“Oh, come on then. Let’s find an empty classroom.”

They practised intensely for just under an hour, taking Peter through the basic permutations of Switching and Vanishing spells. Because he knew they had very little patience, Remus did most of the tutoring, with Sirius and James occasionally correcting Peter’s wand grip or refining his moves.

“It’s more of a jab,” said James, demonstrating a perfect tail switch on one of McGonagall’s class rats.

Finally, at a quarter to two, they went back to the Great Hall. The students went in four at a time in alphabetical order. Sirius winked at them as he was called, head held high, tossing his hair out of his eyes. His only worry was that he’d get Griselda Marchbanks again, who had already examined him in Charms and D.A.D.A. He’d found her gaze unnerving, as though she were assessing him personally and not his performance. Perhaps it was the Black family name”it didn’t engender much trust.

Remus went in with Mary, who was obsessively twirling her wand like a baton, occasionally sending out the odd blue spark.

“Calm down,” he whispered. “You’ll be fine.”

She smiled gratefully and stopped twirling.

“O’Flanaghan, Pettigrew, Potter and Quintus,” called Professor McGonagall.

She watched as James, her most brilliant student, walked past. She wondered if she should wish him luck, but decided it might put him off his stride. She noted the fierce concentration on his face and thanked Merlin for it. He had the ability to get an ‘O’, to be top in his year, but occasionally he got too cocky and distracted by Black.

James glanced at her as he went past. She looks nervous, he thought. He smiled at her and got a small, half smile in return. He entered the hall, then squeezing Peter on the shoulder; he made his way to his examiner.

Great! I’ve got Mum’s friend, Griselda.

***


The practical exam over and Peter’s relief was palpable. He saw James grinning broadly at him.

‘It’s great to have friends,’ Peter thought. ‘It’s great to be free of exams. It’s great to be us!’

They walked out together. Sirius and Remus were waiting for them by the door.

“Last one in is a rotten Snargaluff,” yelled Sirius as he raced towards the lake ripping his robes off as he ran. Remus followed in hot pursuit.

Peter looked at James, “Come on, Prongs, what are we waiting for?”

They ran to the waters edge. Sirius and Remus were already in so James and Peter pulled off their robes, shoes, socks and trousers then ran in to splash in the shallows

Sirius was an excellent swimmer, moving sleekly through the water. Peter, too, moved easily although he lacked the athletic grace of Sirius. Remus, exuberantly splashing, was at his happiest in the water. It reminded him of better times, with his dad teaching him to swim, before his life had been marred. James watched them with amusement but although he splashed and crashed as much as they, he kept to the shallower water.

And if Sirius noticed his unease he didn’t comment on it.

***

In their second year at Hogwarts James and Sirius had been exploring one night. It was before they’d discovered Remus’ secret so they’d been on the prowl trying to find out where he’d gone. Not waking Peter, they’d found themselves in a disused classroom. There had been an old cupboard in the corner from which they had heard strange bumps.

“Wow!” James had breathed, excitedly. “Do you reckon there’s a Boggart in there?”

“Could be?” Sirius had said. “I’ve seen them before. My mum had one in one of the wardrobes, I think she wanted to keep it as a pet- or perhaps it was a discipline method. Can never quite tell with my old ma!”

He had spoken lightly but James had frowned. His own parents, who rarely refused him anything, had not let him see the one Boggart they’d found.

James had walked over to the door of the cupboard and wrenched it open. He’d had a vague idea that Boggarts turned into something scary but he couldn’t think of anything he was remotely frightened of.

The Boggart had slipped out and faced James. Immediately it had assumed the form of James, trapped underwater. The Boggart James had been choking in weeds, desperately trying not to suck in the murky water and he had seen creatures below holding him to the floor. His white face had seen a green face dying, and then he’d panicked.

“N-ooooooo!” he’d screeched.

Sirius had leapt forward and pushed James out of the way. Instantly the Boggart changed. James saw the form of Walburger Black materialise then her face became Sirius’ face. Sirius held out his wand, concentrated hard and screamed “Riddikulus!” Instantly the figure had changed into a Sirius Black laughing. Sirius had charged at the Boggart and by doubling his laughter he’d made it disappear.

James had thought that Sirius would mock him and tell others but he’d been mistaken.

“I know my fear,” Sirius had said grimly. “Given my family, I’m terrified I’ll turn out like them. You have a fear of drowning; you just need to work out how to make it amusing to defeat the Boggart. More pressingly, mate, you need to learn how to stay afloat.”

The next few nights they’d broken into the Prefects bathroom and Sirius, showing surprising patience had taught him how to swim. Two years later, in Defence against the Dark Arts, James had defeated his Boggart by casting a bubblehead charm around the Boggart's face, and he’d dealt with it so quickly that most of the class thought him scared of garrotting gas.

But despite the lessons from his friend, James was still uncomfortable being out of his depth.

***


Severus Snape walked out into the Hogwarts grounds. Although his wand had worked perfectly he was annoyed. Normally he would have Vanished his Chihuahua to at least ‘Exceeds Expectation’ level if not, in his opinion, ‘Outstanding’ but his hesitancy coupled with hearing that awful Slattery girl’s nervous giggle caused it’s whiskers to flicker rather than Vanish. He walked into the sunshine keeping a firm hold of his wand and looking around for the Marauders.

He saw them larking around in the lake. He would have loved to have stripped off and dived into its icy depths but the memory of yesterday was seared into his brain. Besides, Lily was there with a gaggle of girls and he couldn’t bear her scorn again. He watched as they all edged closer to the water, no doubt enjoying the sight of Black who, by now, had discarded his T-shirt. He spat bitterly into the ground.

‘Blood Traitors!’ he thought viciously. ‘Potter and Black have the one thing I can never have; pureblood, yet they treat it as if it’s nothing.’

A sudden splash! Mary had joined the boys, ducking Remus underwater. He emerged laughing. Snape watched to see if Lily would join in but she stayed on the bank with Sonia and Phyllida. Lily, he remembered, was an excellent swimmer. She’d taught him one summer, long ago, in the river by Spinner’s End. Sudden hot tears filled his eyes as he watched her and remembered their past. Merlin! Would she ever forgive him?

But it was an empty prayer. The word he’d used was irrevocable and her answer unequivocal. He’d lost her and, he surmised it was all Potter’s fault. For although in the past he’d felt re-assured by her pronouncements that the Marauders were idiotic and arrogant, he had noticed a subtle change in her attitude of late, a change she had not noticed.

There had been a wizard in the 1600’s, he remembered, who had lived amongst Muggles and given them marvellous magical words in the form of plays and poetry. English language had never been the same again and Severus, a boy who appreciated beauty in written words because he had none, thought of one of his lines now

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks,"* he recited sadly under his breath.

He shot a venomous look at Potter- the boy who had cost him everything. He itched to hex him right there, but something made him stop. James Potter looked distinctly uneasy in the water.

“Salazar be praised! The great James Potter is afraid of water!”

***


Tired of the lake, Sirius emerged from the water and joined the girls.
‘Sonia is looking enchanting,’ he thought. She looked at him from beneath her impossibly long lashes as he stood there and he felt his stomach swoop. She giggled. ‘Nah, he thought, that laugh still grates.’

He sat down next to Lily, shaking his shoulder length black hair.

“Sirius, for Godric’s sake dry off on someone else,” she snapped.

“Lily Evans, will you relax? Exams are over. We’re sixteen not sixty!” He lay on his robes next to her, basking in the sun.

“Some of us still have responsibilities, and aren’t you supposed to be working on a way to get the House Cup for Gryffindor?”

He ignored her.

“We all heard James’ argument with Preston and you told Frank you’d get us the Cup,” said Phyllida. “So, Sirius, if you need an added incentive…”

Sirius looked at her. He’d never realised quite how blue her eyes were.

‘Like forget-me-nots in a woodland glade’, he thought, poetically. ‘Shame about the squint though.’

“What incentive?” he said, unsure where to focus.

“A wager?” said Phyllida simply.

He pondered her words then looked over to the water.

“Prongs,” he shouted. “The Gee-Gees have a challenge for us.”

“Gee-Gees?” questioned Phyllida.

“Gryffindor Girls. G. G,” laughed Sirius. “Surely you knew our nickname for you, Phyllida. I thought you knew everything about us?”

“Don’t sell tickets on yourself, Black!” she declared haughtily. “You’re not so special.”

James got out of the water and dripped over to them, followed by Peter.

“What challenge?” he asked.

“We think you need an incentive, so if you get the house points back and we win the cup then we…” Phyllida pointed to herself, Sonia, Lily and Mary who was still in the water, “will become Marauder handmaidens!”

“W-what?” stammered James. Perhaps he had water in his ears and couldn’t hear properly. Despite the reputation they liked to put about the Marauders had never been very lucky with girls.

“We’ll wait on you and do your bidding on the Hogwarts Express.”

James gasped, “You’ll do our bidding? Whatever we want?” He tried to stop his eyes from drifting across to Lily, but failed.

“Down boy,” smirked Sonia. “Within reason.”

“For all of us?” put in Peter, eagerly.

Sonia looked at him. “Yes,” she sighed. “I suppose so.”

Sirius frowned. “Let me get this straight. When we win the House Cup you four will wait on us, hand and foot, on the journey home?”

“Uh-huh,” agreed Phyllida. “If it’s you four who win it for us, obviously.”

“Even Lily?” he asked, noticing she hadn’t involved herself in this conversation at all.

Lily jerked her head up at the mention of her name. She saw them all staring at her. She hadn’t agreed to anything yet. It was Phyllida’s plan and the other two, Mary and Sonia, had acquiesced readily for they adored Frank and wanted him to have a great end to his year. However Lily didn’t think she’d be able to stand a whole train journey back with the loathsome Potter, until Mary reminded her that as a prefect she wouldn’t have to spend too much time in the carriage. They needed Lily on side, they’d argued, to ensnare James. If James agreed then the others would follow.

Out of the corner of her eye she could see Sev watching her. She felt a lump in her throat. The loss of him was like a death to her. He’d been her refuge when Petunia’s taunts had become vicious. But he’d called her ‘filthy Mudblood’ and she could no longer ignore his prejudice. She understood at last how deeply involved he was with Mulciber and Avery. He’d chosen his path and now she had to find a new one. Perhaps the Marauders weren’t as bad as she’d always thought. Besides, they’d never do it in time and even if they did she could easily avoid Potter.

“Yes, I’m in,” she said clearly.

“Hold on,” said James suspiciously. “What if we fail?”

“Fail?” said Lily. “I didn’t think you understood the word, Potter?”

“If you fail,” interrupted Sonia before Lily’s tone threatened to ruin the light-hearted banter, “then you become our handmaidens. Or rather our house- elves.”

The idea was so preposterous that Sirius fell about laughing.

“One last thing, though,” put in Phyllida. “If you ever call us the ‘Gee-Gees’ again. I, personally, will slip Bobutuber Pus into your pumpkin juice!”

Sirius looked at her. 'Actually, that squint is quite endearing,' he thought.

“Deal!” he barked. He turned back to the lake. “Moony, put that girl down! We’ve got work to do.”
End Notes:
Well the gloves have come off now. The question is will Sirius get to be a house elf or will Lily be forced to wait on James?

Please leave a review.
Chapter 4 - The Bowtruckle Challenge by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
The thought of having handmaidens on the Hogwarts Express has spurred The Marauders on in their quest to regain their lost points and to win the House Cup for Gryffindor. Unfortunately, they need a plan and are fresh out of ideas until Peter remembers the Bowtruckle Challenge. All they need now are woodlice, fairy eggs and a decent flyer.

Thanks, as ever, to Terri (mudbloodproud) for beta'ing this and nagging me about Peter.
That evening Remus, James and Sirius huddled in a corner of the common room firing ideas at each other.

“Saving a life?” suggested James.

“Yes, but whose?” asked Remus.

“I’ll push Wormy into the lake and then Padfoot can save him,” replied James.

“Do you reckon we’d get fifty points for that?” mused Sirius.

“Fifty? I think we should aim for seventy to make it safe, but you’re right we won’t get fifty for him. Where is he anyway?” asked James.

“He said he’d be here shortly,” answered Remus.

“Can’t exactly be here tall-ly, given his height, can he?” joked James. “Okay, how about we persuade a first year into the Forbidden Forest then rescue him or her?”

“What, and get a first year into trouble? Then they’d get points deducted. That’s not good for us either!” said Remus.

“Not,” said James slyly, “if we use a Ravenclaw!”

“James Potter, that’s worthy of a Slytherin!” exclaimed Sirius. “I swear the Sorting Hat made a mistake.”

“Nah,” said James. “I know how to use shampoo.”

They pondered for a while. Remus’ eyes strayed to where Mary was sitting.

“Flaming Phoenix! This is hard,” snapped Sirius. “Moony, concentrate, give us ideas.”

“Actually,” said Remus. “I do have one idea. I forgot to tell you but Wormy and I got five points today from Slughorn.”

“Why?” said Sirius curiously.

“For returning Snivelly’s wand. It was ‘sportsmanlike behaviour,’” he quoted in Slughorn’s unctuous tones.

“So what you’re saying is, we nick more wands then return them. Is that your big idea?” said Sirius scornfully. “At five points a time that’s fourteen wands we need to pinch.”

“No,” said Remus patiently, “I just think we should try being helpful.”

“Helpful?” yelped James.

“Shh!” whispered Remus, aware that the girls were trying to eavesdrop on their plans.

“Look,” he continued, “it could work. If we offer help to McGonagall and the others, then maybe they’ll reward us.”

“We’d need a big job though,” put in Sirius. “Lots of small jobs won’t amount to much and we’ll run out of time.”

“You think this’ll work?” James was amazed.

“It’s the best plan we’ve got, mate,” replied Sirius. “What, though, shall we do?”

“I dunno, clean up Thestral dung for Hagrid?” suggested Remus.

“Yuck! I’d rather clean bed pans in the hospital wing.”

“Yes, Padfoot, we know why you want to go there but I don’t think scrubbing out potties is going to get you a snog!”

Sirius whacked James over the head with a cushion and wrestled him to the floor. Laughingly, James retaliated then stopped when he saw Peter bounding towards them.

“Bowtruckles!” Peter said excitedly.

“Bless you!” said James.

“No, no, Bowtruckles. I’ve just been to the library to look through some books.”

“Wormy,” said Sirius from beneath James’ armpit. “Have the exams melted your brain? We don’t have homework!”

Peter looked at him. “The Bowtruckle Challenge! One hundred points,” he said slowly.

James released Sirius from his headlock and sat up straight.

“You’re mad!” he exclaimed. “We tried that last year. I nearly lost an eye. We swore we’d never try it again.”

For the Bowtruckle Challenge was very hard.

It was Professor Kettleburn, the Care of Magical Creatures teacher, who had set the challenge. He wanted a breeding pair of Bowtruckles so he could domesticate some for his orchard. His idea was that his Bowtruckles would protect his trees from scrumping but at the same time allow him to pluck the fruit and prune the trees. The problem lay, not with the male of the species who was greedy and easily captured if you lay out enough woodlice, but rather with the female or Queen.

Peter turned to the book he’d brought with him. “The Bowtruckle Queen rarely leaves her tree,” he read in undertone to them.“She cannot be summoned for she lives within the enchantment of the tree. She is very partial to fairy eggs. There is only one Queen for every enchanted tree, for she will kill all other females.”

“Yes, yes,” snapped Sirius. ”We know all that. Last time we took along all the fairy eggs we could carry but she just sent out her minions to collect them, then when we took the eggs away they got nasty.”

He shuddered at the memory of being attacked by five eight inch high twig men who poked, scratched and gouged until he’d dropped all his eggs.

“Ah-ha,” said Peter, with the air of one that was enjoying being the centre of attention, “but I have some extra knowledge.”

“Come on, then. Spit it out,” said Sirius impatiently.

“Well, I’ve also been to see Hagrid. He tells me that there’s a very fine Queen in that horse chestnut tree by the lake. She’s rarely seen on the ground.”

“We know that!” urged Remus. “Get on with it!”

“Hagrid said that the Queen is rather like Padfoot here,” he paused for effect, the Marauders looked bemused. “She likes the sun. So she’ll climb to the top of the tree at noon and bask in it.”

“I see,” said James excitedly. “So what we need to do is get up there? How do we get her, though, if we can’t summon her?”

“Okay,” said Peter seriously. “Whilst she’s touching human flesh she loses the protection from the tree so can be summoned.”

“We’ll need four broomsticks then?” said James thoughtfully.

“No,” said Peter. “Just one. If she sees all four of us she’ll scoot straight back down the trunk. I think you, James, as the best flyer, should be the one to fly up with a box of fairy eggs.”

“So what will you be doing whilst I’m risking life and limb?” retorted James, dramatically.

“We will be distracting the males. Once they realise you’re there they’ll come streaming out to attack,” replied Peter calmly.

“Peter Pettigrew,” said Sirius, in an awed voice. “You are a genius! I take back all the times I’ve called you thick.”

Hmm, thought Peter, until the next time “ but he couldn’t stop grinning.

“Okay, men,” said James, taking charge, “When shall we do this? Tomorrow?”

“No,” said Sirius decisively “We need time to get hold of fairy eggs. How about next Saturday?”

“But that’s the last Hogsmeade weekend,” protested Remus, who’d been thinking about taking Mary.

“Exactly, half the school will be gone and,” he stared at Remus and James, “you two won’t get distracted. Anyway we’re all skint!”

They left the common room and trooped up to their room.

“The trouble is,” said Phyllida conspiratorially, watching them go. “If they are successful and regain the Cup we’ll have to wait on them. I’m not sure I can bear massaging Black’s ego for all that time.”

“But,” added Mary, “if they don’t succeed we lose the Cup and I bet ten Galleons with Otto Bagman at the beginning of the year on Gryffindor.”

“Yes, Mary, we all know it’s the bet you’re most concerned with,” said Sonia sarcastically. “It has nothing to do with wanting to spend time with a certain someone.”

Mary smirked. “He’s finally started to realise I exist. You can’t expect me to give up on Remus now.”

***



In their room Remus was getting ready for bed. Sirius noticed he was smiling.

“Why so happy, Moony, my old mate?” he asked

“No reason,” replied Remus, still smiling.

“Nothing to do with a certain young witch by the name of Mary MacDonald then?” said Peter, joining in the teasing.

Remus blushed. “Perhaps.”

“Wow!” said James, speaking the thoughts the other two hadn’t uttered, “I’ve never seen you like this about a girl.”

“I’ve never let myself think about it, to be honest,” admitted Remus, “but Professor Dumbledore made me realise that I can’t let my…my…” he faltered, “my condition take over my life. He reckons I’ve been letting it control me rather than me controlling it.”

“So are you going to tell her?” persisted Sirius.

Remus sighed, “No, not yet. I want to see where it goes first, and then if it gets serious I suppose I’ll have to tell her.”

“We were okay with it, Moony,” said Peter warmly. “Why wouldn’t she be?”

“Well for one thing, Wormy, lovely though you are, I don’t want to kiss you!” said Remus, laughing.

***


Severus Snape was sitting alone in his room. He’d seen Peter in the library and saw the books he’d been reading. Why would Pettigrew be interested in Bowtruckles? he wondered.

***



Saturday dawned fair. The Marauders clattered down to breakfast, late as usual, and ate heartily. Then, at half past eleven, they set off for the horse chestnut tree, unaware that they were being watched. Lily and Mary had opted to stay behind. Mary was sulking because she felt sure Remus had been about to ask her out and Lily didn’t want to go to Hogsmead in case she bumped into Severus. Phyllida and Sonia had dates with Jacob and Julius Bennet, the Ravenclaw twins.

James headed the procession, carrying his broom. Peter, proudly carrying a box of fairy eggs and some woodlice, followed him. Just behind was Remus, carrying a cage to put the Queen in. Last was Sirius who carried nothing but his wand.

They approached the tree. It was nearly noon so James mounted his broomstick and kicked off clutching the fairy eggs in his left hand. He could see the Queen slowly making her way up to the top of the tree so he signalled to the others that he was ready to start. They began to release the woodlice. The male Bowtruckles came streaming out scrabbling for the grubs.

James hovered at the top. The Queen clambered onto the topmost branch and fixed her gaze on him. With his left hand he held out the fairy eggs. Up his right sleeve was his wand. She was edging towards him, slowly, slowly. He almost had her. As soon as he touched her he could summon her. They were inches apart. She crept closer sniffing the delicacies. Almost there, he thought. His fingertip touched her, he drew out his wand when BANG; he was hit in the face. He fell back onto the edge of the tree and dropped his wand. The Bowtruckles below looked up and saw the intruder. Half returned to the tree swarming up the trunk to protect their Queen; the others remained below attacking the Marauders.

James held onto a thin branch and reached for his broomstick that was still hovering near him. Suddenly it flew off. His hands were slimy from the fairy eggs. He tried to grab another branch but it snapped and he fell into the lake.

The Marauders, fighting the Bowtruckles below, did not realising the danger James was in.

Lily and Mary approached the Marauders giggling at their plight.

“Oh, the Bowtruckle Challenge. Very enterprising,” laughed Lily. Then she stopped. “Where’s Potter?”

Sirius, who was pulling two Bowtruckles out of his hair and trying to stamp on a third, pointed upwards. Lily looked, but could only see James’ wand falling off a branch.

“He’s not there, Sirius,” said Lily urgently. “I can’t see him flying around, either.”

She scanned the lake. There was a ripple on the smooth surface “ it could be the squid or “ she looked closer “ James’ glasses had appeared.

“He’s in the lake. Sirius, he’s in the lake and he doesn’t have his wand!”

“Bloody hell!” swore Sirius. He flung the remaining Bowtruckle back to the tree and ran into the water. Lily followed.

“What are you doing?” he said.

“I’ve been swimming since I was two,” she told him urgently. “Come on, quick.”

She took off her shoes and dived in. There was no sign of James.

“Can he swim?” she asked.

“Not very well,” said Sirius grimly.

Remus, Peter and Mary started rushing in.

“Stop!” ordered Lily. “The water’s very murky. You three will make it worse. Leave it to us.”

It made sense. They obeyed her.

Sirius and Lily dived down under the water. Sirius got out his wand and tried to cast a light but it was very dim. Lily re-appeared for air.

“Go and get help,” screamed Lily. “Mary, go and get Hagrid!”

Sirius came up “ an expression of grim determination on his face. Where was James? Wordlessly, he looked at Lily. Down, again, they went. The mud was swirling around them. It was near impossible to see anything, even by wandlight. Suddenly, Sirius pulled her hand she looked to where he was pointing. There was a shoe in the reeds. They swam towards it. It wasn’t just a shoe. It was James. His eyes were closed and he was ashen white. He’d been underwater for ten minutes.

Between them they dragged his body, a dead weight, to the surface.

“He’s dead! He’s dead!” shouted Peter.

“Shut up!” yelled Sirius, plainly terrified. “Moony, what do we do?”

Remus looked up from James’ lifeless body and into Sirius’ eyes.

“I don’t know. We need Madam Pomfrey. Peter, run and get her and get Professor Dumbledore too.”

Peter sped off, glad for something to do.

Lily pulled herself up onto all fours and leant over James. She rolled him over and hit him hard on the back three times.

“He’s swallowed water. It’s trapped in his lungs. We need to get it out,” she gasped.

She wrenched open his mouth and began breathing hard into it.

“What are you doing?” yelled Sirius, as she started pumping hard over James’ chest. She looked up. She couldn’t do this alone. Sirius was clearly in shock, his face white, whereas Remus seemed more alive to her words.

“Remus,” she said. “Help me. You need to pump his chest like this. She interlocked her fingers and pushed down hard. “It’ll force the water out.”

Remus nodded and started work. She motioned for him to stop then clasped her mouth onto James’ mouth breathing into him all the time.

“Don’t you dare die on us, Potter!” she screamed. She vaguely heard voices around her. Mary had come back with Hagrid. He looked at the scene and gently tried to pull her away.

“Lily, leave him. I’ll get him to Professor Dumbledore. He’ll make him better.” But he sounded doubtful. There was no spell to bring the dead back to life.

“No!” she shouted. “Keep going. Remus, come on.”

Remus pushed at James chest. She resumed her breathing. Sirius knelt by the body, praying silently.

“Breathe, James, come on now. Don’t give up,” she panted this incantation over and over between the breaths she was forcing into his unresponsive mouth.

Suddenly James’ chest heaved. He jerked back to life and was violently sick.

“He’s alive,” whispered Lily.

Sirius was shaking. He clasped James in his arms and looked at Lily. “Bubble Head charms,” he gasped.

“What?” she replied.

“Bubble Head charms. We should have used them.”

“Well, five points off apiece for being so thick,” she gasped.

She heard Sirius and Remus laugh weakly as she blacked out.

***


Lily came to in the hospital wing. She looked up and saw Mary’s anxious face hovering above her.

“Is he okay?” she asked huskily.

“Madam Pomfrey’s with him now. He’s alive but he was under a long time and…” Mary shook her head unable to continue. “How are you?”

“Okay. Just a bit shaky.” Lily noticed she was wearing a hospital night gown. “God, who undressed me? Not Dumbledore I hope?” she said jokingly but her voice cracked.

Mary didn’t laugh. “No, it was me. I’ll go and get your own things now, if you want.”

There was a pause then Mary spoke again.

“The others are outside and I think they want to see you. Is that okay?”

Lily nodded. Mary left the room and let Sirius, Remus and Peter in.

“Hello,” she said with a lightness she didn’t quite feel. It was odd to see the three of them without James and it was odd to have them here on friendly terms. Sirius, she noticed was wearing dry clothes but his face and hair were grimy with dirt from the lake. They all bore scratches from the Bowtruckles. Remus and Peter pulled up chairs alongside her but Sirius remained at the foot of the bed staring at her. She stared back “ unsure what to say.

Sirius, too, was dumbstruck. He’d always dismissed Lily Evans as being snooty. Pretty, but not worth the aggravation. He’d never understood James’ infatuation with her. She regularly put him down and seemed to hate him but that only seemed to add to the attraction for James. Remus had once said it was because James was so used to unstilted admiration from everyone around him he needed her disinterest to keep his interest. Perhaps Remus was right.

He cleared his throat.

“Err, Lily,” he said. “Thank-you for…” he stopped. Anything he said would sound trite. How could he explain how much he owed her for bringing back his friend without sounding like some dire story from Witches Weekly? He started again. “Lily, um, a thank-you seems kind of inadequate but…”

She looked at him. “It’s okay, Sirius, really.” There was a silence.

“How did you know what to do?” asked Remus.

Lily sat up and hugged her knees close to her chest.

“Back home,” she began, “I live near a river. I could swim almost before I could walk.”

“But the breathing and chest thumping, what was that?” questioned Peter.

“Oh,” she replied. “Well, my dad’s an ambulance driver.”

“A nambyless driver?” asked Peter.

She smiled. “Ambulance, Peter. It’s a Muggle vehicle that takes people to hospital in an emergency. My dad rushes people to see a doctor, that’s a Muggle healer, but sometimes he has to help them first. He saw so many people nearly drown that first he taught us how to swim and then he taught us how to save lives.”

“Us?” asked Remus.

“I have a sister, Petunia.”

“Oh, I didn’t know. How come we’ve never seen her?” Remus was fascinated.

“She’s not magical like me and refuses to leave the car at King’s Cross. She thinks we’re all freaks.”

“And do your parents think that too?” asked Remus gently.

She laughed.

“Not at all. They love my ‘talent’ as they call it and can’t wait for me to do magic legally. Mum said it was so strange watching me grow up because odd things would happen, especially if I was having a tantrum. I once turned Petunia’s nose blue because she took my favourite teddy.”

Madam Pomfrey walked over pleased to hear them all laughing. They stopped when they saw her, remembering why they were there. She smiled straight at Sirius whose face had blanched.

“He’ll be fine, Mr Black. He swallowed a lot of water so needs to stay in for a few days. He was under for some time and there are lots of nasty things lurking in that lake. I need to keep an eye on him.”

She turned to Lily. “Well done, Miss Evans. You should think about becoming a Healer. That was very quick thinking on your part. Now, I want you to stay in overnight because…”

But she didn’t complete the sentence. Remus and Peter had leapt out of their chairs and were whooping madly. Sirius, on the other hand, clutched at the bedpost and seemed whiter than before. He started shaking violently. Lily thought he was about to faint. Madam Pomfrey walked quickly over to him and sat him in a chair. She crouched by him, held his hands in hers and looked him straight in the eye.

“He’s going to be okay, Sirius. You don’t need to worry anymore,” she said softly.

Sirius gazed into her dark brown eyes, warm with compassion, and nodded. He could see wisps of her shiny hair escaping from the tight bun. She had never seemed more approachable. The colour began to return to his cheeks. He wanted to howl, to proclaim his relief to the world and hold her tight. He wondered what she would say if he did so. But wonder was all he could do because in that moment Professor Dumbledore appeared in the doorway.

“Madam Pomfrey, the Potters are on their way and would like to see their son,” he said.

Madam Pomfrey slowly removed her hands from Sirius’ grasp and straightened up.

‘So close, so close,’ thought Sirius. He turned back to see the other three looking at him curiously. He was very pleased that none of them were accomplished Legilimens.

***


Later, when everyone had left, James lay awake staring at the ceiling. His mother had finally been re-assured that he was no longer in danger. She’d wanted to take him home early but James had refused to go. As a compromise, Madam Pomfrey had promised to send a progress report by owl every day.

“Evans,” he whispered loudly. “Are you awake?”

“Yes,” she replied. “What do you want, Potter?”

“Uh, to talk?”

“Okay, hold on.”

He heard her padding across the ward then she emerged through his bedside curtains. Her hair was unusually messy and fell around her shoulders.

“Hi,” she said softly. “How are you doing?”

“Okay, I suppose. My chest’s a bit sore.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. Remus and I had to thump you a bit.”

“Mmm, Madam Pomfrey told me.” He looked awkward. “Thanks,” he mumbled.

“Think nothing of it,” she mumbled back.

There was a silence. “Well, if that’s everything,” she said. “I’ll go back to bed.”

“Uh huh, okay,” he said.

She turned to go.

“Evans, err, Lily, wait a bit will you?” he pleaded.

She stopped.

“Look,” he said quickly, “I know I’ve behaved like a jerk this year. I realise I’ve pestered you horribly and I, uh, just want to say sorry and it won’t happen again, unless…” he stopped. He wanted to add ‘unless you want it to’ but the words stuck in his throat.

“Oh,” said Lily awkwardly. She was pleased he couldn’t see her face in the gloom of the ward. She looked round for something to break the tension.

“You’ve lost your glasses.”

“Still in the lake, I guess?” he muttered.

“The squid’s probably wearing them as we speak,” she mused.

He laughed weakly then clutched his ribs. “Merlin, that hurts!”

“I’ll leave you to rest,” she said and slipped away.

James lay on his side trying to ignore the ache in his chest. He’d fancied Lily Evans all year. All those things he’d done to impress her and they’d never worked, just increased her scorn. She didn’t deserve the increasingly desperate and embarrassing bids for her attention. James clutched at his pillow as a small trickle of tears leaked from his eyes. He’d come so close to death and now realised how important life was.

***



Four days later and James was bored out of his brain. Lily had been discharged after that first night and, apart from a second year Hufflepuff who’d had her ears hexed to resemble pixie ears, there was no one else on the ward. She was in such awe of him that she refused to speak and hid her ears under her blanket whenever he looked at her. He had a box of chocolate frogs and a bag of Fizzing Whizzbees on his bedside cabinet courtesy of all his Quidditch team-mates, barring Preston. He recognised Martha’s quillmanship on a large card picturing James aiming a Bludger at a Bowtruckle.

The Marauders were allowed to visit anytime during the day but he was alone at night. He had books and summer holiday homework, as Madam Pomfrey kept reminding him, but it was a poor substitute for the Common Room, midnight prowls under the cloak, and his friends.

Sonia and Phyllida had visited, bringing grapes and pumpkin juice. He let their conversation wash over him. It was comforting that life was going on.

“I don’t know, James,” said Phyllida, munching her way through his chocolate frogs. “The lengths you’ll go to.”

“I was trying to win us the Cup. You wanted me to win the House Cup, didn’t you?” he replied.

“No, I mean nearly getting yourself killed just to avoid being my house-elf!”

James spluttered, his pumpkin juice streaming out of his nose and all over his sheets.

“You’re still holding me to that? C’mon Phyll, for old times’ sake. I nearly drowned. Anyway, I’m sure Sirius is elf enough for both of you!” he insinuated rudely.

They left soon after that both laughing at his discomfort.


He left the hospital wing on Friday evening and headed straight for end of year feast. James stopped in the doorway. The Great Hall was decked in banners of scarlet and gold, which meant only one thing; Gryffindor had won the House Cup.

“What happened?” he exclaimed joyously. “We lost the Bowtruckle Challenge and were about sixty points adrift.”

“Last week’s score, Prongs,” said Sirius as James sat next to him. “Here’s the update. Due to your pathetic attempt at swimming and my heroic rescue I managed to earn twenty points.”

“But,” interrupted Sonia, “you four also managed to lose ten points each for enraging the Bowtruckles so much that they now pelt anyone within range with very hard, unripe conkers.”

James tried to compute this. “So, we’re twenty points down from where we were two weeks ago?”

“No, fifteen,” put in Peter, “because Slughorn gave Remus and me five points for Snivelly’s wand.”

“Okay.” James felt as if he’d been confunded.

“Then,” said Mary, taking up the tale, “Remus earned fifteen points for thumping your chest.”

James felt his ribs protest at the memory. “So, we’re still sixty points adrift of Ravenclaw?”

“Ah-ha, but then Lily, here,” continued Phyllida, “was awarded sixty points for saving you, or rather for ‘snogging your face off’ as Sirius so crudely put it.”

James blushed. “Is it a tie?” he said despairingly.

“Well it would have been except that last Saturday night, or rather early Sunday morning, two Ravenclaws had points deducted for getting home rather late!” said Sirius, laughing.

“Which two?” said James suspiciously.

“Jacob and Julius Bennet,” put in Peter. “They got a bit distracted by Phyllida and Sonia and uh…”

James snorted. “So why didn’t you two lose points?”

“No-one saw us, except for the Fat Lady,” said Sonia simply, “and as it was her idea in the first place…”

“Shh!” said Lily. “Professor Dumbledore’s about to speak.”

“Another exciting year for Hogwarts,” said Professor Dumbledore. “But before we start the feast we have to say our goodbyes. First to Professor Tweddle, our Defence against the Dark Arts teacher, who has decided to rejoin the Ministry.”

“Did Otto have that as an option?” whispered Sonia loudly.

“Dunno,” replied Sirius. “I had ‘eaten by a Manticore’ at 100-1.”

“And,” continued Dumbledore loudly, sweeping his eyes over the Gryffindor table and letting them rest on Sirius and Sonia, “we must say goodbye to Frank Longbottom, our Head Boy and Freya Charlesworth, our Head Girl, and all the year sevens who are leaving us.

“Finally, before I award the House Cup, I wish to pay tribute to someone. For centuries Magical folk and Muggles have lived apart for our own and their safety. Many of us are ignorant of Muggle life. Some redress this by learning what they can; others scorn them. Herein lies the danger. For in our arrogance, in our belief that we are superior, we overlook Muggle ways to our peril.

“Last Saturday, a young wizard fell wandless into the lake.” James jerked his head up. “His friends dragged him to the surface but it seemed they were too late. However, there was a Muggle- born witch there. She used a technique, taught to her by her father, to breathe life back into him. For this I awarded her sixty points. I ask you now to raise your glasses to Lily Evans of Gryffindor and to remember that sometimes magic isn’t enough.”

As Professor Dumbledore and the staff members lifted their glasses to salute her, the students followed suit.

“The Cup, as you know, has gone to Gryffindor and should be collected by Frank Longbottom but he has insisted that Lily should collect it for him. Make your way, Miss Evans.”

Blushing furiously Lily walked up to the teachers’ table and accepted the House Cup. The Gryffindors cheered loudly as she raised it above her head; the scarlet and gold ribbons adorning it falling onto her hair.

Severus Snape at the Slytherin table, watched as the girl he’d lost accepted the Cup for the House he hated. The Slytherins barely applauded and he feigned indifference but inside he felt a part of him die.

James Potter felt incredibly proud to be Gryffindor that night but also sad. He knew now that it wasn’t lust but love that kept him thinking about Lily. He’d told her he would no longer pester her but now he wasn’t sure he could keep away.
End Notes:
End of the fifth year for them all. Roll on the summer holidays. Please leave a review. I thrive on reviews.
Chapter 5 - An Intriguing Muggle Girl. by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
It’s the summer of 1976 and London is in a grip of a heatwave. Sirius Black is desperate to escape the depressing gloom of Grimmauld Place so armed with Butterbeer, Muggle money and a radio he runs off to the local park. It’s about to get a whole lot hotter.

The song in this chapter is Thin Lizzy’s, The Boys are Back in Town, which was a huge hit that summer. I must thank my brother-in-law, Andy, for suggesting this song.

Thanks, as ever, to Terri (mudbloodproud) and also to Cassie (ms leading) for beta'ing this for me.
Sirius Black walked down Kensington High Street smiling. Having just bought himself a small Muggle radio, he was listening to the latest tunes and singing along at the top of his voice. London was in the grip of a heat wave and he was enjoying every minute of it.

“Guess who just got back today?
Those wild-eyed boys that had been away,
Haven’t changed, haven’t much to say,
But man, I still think those cats are great.”



He was heading for the park to Muggle watch. It wasn’t much but at least it got him out of the oppressive gloom of Grimmauld Place. He’d tried to persuade Regulus to come with him but his brother preferred to sit in his room reading musty, old books. He frowned slightly; he wasn’t sure when it had started to go wrong between him and his brother. Though they were in different houses, they’d stayed on good terms. Perhaps it was when Regulus became the Slytherin Seeker and found Sirius cheering for the other side.


He reached the park and sat on the grass, suddenly conscious that his clothes were wrong. The kids his age seemed to be wearing either very tight jeans or very short denim shorts, frayed at the ends. His knee-length shorts looked ridiculous. He began surreptitiously rolling them up “ at least his T-shirt was okay, nicked from Remus whose Muggle mum bought his clothes.

“They were asking if you were around,
How you was, where you could be found.
I told them you were living downtown,
Driving all the old men crazy.”


He recognised this song because it was a huge summer hit and he was desperate to share it with James and the others.

“The boys are back in town,” he sang along exuberantly.

He lay back on the grass, enjoying the sun and reliving that last glorious night at school. After the Feast, they’d continued the party in the Gryffindor Common room until the small hours. A debate had started over whom would be serving whom on the train home. Sirius, Remus and Peter had insisted that as they’d won points for their House they would not become the girls’ house-elves. However, Phyllida, Sonia, and Lily were equally adamant that as they’d contributed more to the point’s deficit, they would not be serving the Marauders either. Then all six had turned on Mary and James who alone of the eight hadn’t earned any points.

“That’s unfair,” Mary had said, pouting. “After all, it wasn’t supposed to be about us girls winning the Cup “ you four were supposed to do it.”

“So, what you’re saying, Mary,” Remus had said gravely, “is that James should be the sole house-elf for us all?”

“Oy!” James had yelped. “You can’t leave it all to me.” He could see the pack closing in and, in his haste to run off, had tripped over an empty Butterbeer bottle. Thinking quickly, he’d leapt up and scrambled onto a chair.

“Ah-ha!” he’d declared. “But if I hadn’t fallen in the lake and staged that drowning act, then none of you would have got any points.”

Floored by his flawed logic, they’d collapsed with laughter “ even Lily, who’d been looking happier recently.

Sirius chuckled.

The journey back had been fun too. Sonia and Phyllida had made their excuses and sat with the Bennet boys, Remus and Lily had disappeared to the Prefects carriage for patrol duties, so he’d invited Mary to join them. Shy at first, she’d soon been beating them at Gobstones and generously bought from the lunch trolley with her winnings collected from Otto.

Then Remus and Lily had joined them. Lily, for the most part, had sat quietly reading a book. James had studiously ignored her, pretending to stare out of the window, but Remus and Mary’s laughter had been infectious and soon they were all smiling.

“You know that chick used to dance a lot,
Every night she’d be on the floor shaking what she’d got.”
Sirius continued to sing, rather loudly, as he lay back on the grass.

“Oy, mate, you got a light?” said a voice near him.

Sirius looked up and took off his headphones. A scruffy girl, dressed in a vest top and tight denim jeans, was staring at him. She had earrings studded all the way up her lobes, a ring in her nose, and what looked like a dog collar round her neck. Her white blonde hair reminded him of his cousin, Narcissa. But there all similarity ended, for Narcissa’s hair was always immaculate and this girl’s hair looked as if it had been chopped with very blunt scissors. She’d outlined her eyes in thick black make-up and her lips were a violent shade of red. He knew, from Muggle Studies, that what she held in her hand was a cigarette and the light she wanted was a match. In his rucksack, alongside his wand, was a book of matches that he’d nicked from class. He casually struck a match, amazed that, for once, it had worked first time. She leant forwards, cupping his hand in hers, lit her cigarette, and inhaled deeply.

“Ah,” she exhaled. “That’s better. You want one?” she said, proffering the pack.

Sirius took one. He’d never smoked before. His hand fumbled and he dropped it on the grass. She took the cigarette from him and put it in her own mouth. Then, peeping at him from beneath her spiky blonde fringe, she lit the cigarette from hers and placed it between his lips. He could see and taste her lipstick on the filter. It seemed, to him, an extraordinarily intimate thing for her to have done. He inhaled deeply, as she had done. The smoke went into his throat and he coughed suddenly.

“Ha! Your first fag is it, darlin’?” laughed the girl.

“No,” he said haughtily, “I’ve had loads.” He knew she wasn’t fooled.

“Look, take it slow, breathe in and inhale a bit, don’t gulp the whole lot, then exhale.” She breathed out a thin stream of smoke from her lips.

Sirius copied her; he felt light-headed then sick.

“Godric, that’s disgusting!” he said as he stubbed the cigarette out. She leant over, picked it up and put it back in her packet.

“Suit yourself.” She shrugged. “I’m Jade, by the way.”

“Sirius,” he replied.

“Siri-what?”

“Sirius. I’m named after the star.”

“Ooh! Well, get you, posh, ain’t you? I’ve not seen you around here before.”

“I’ve been away at school,” he replied.

“Boarding school, right, like Eton?” she said.

“Err, yeah, sort of. Would you like a drink?” he asked, deciding he wanted to spend more time with her.

“That depends on what you’ve got,” she replied.

He pulled out two bottles of Butterbeer and opened them.

“Mmm, nice,” said Jade. “Odd though, it warms you up but it’s really cold.

They finished their beers. Sirius couldn’t stop looking at her. Despite the chains and make-up, she was extraordinarily sexy. All the girls he knew covered themselves up in robes, long skirts and baggy shirts. Jade, in her tight top, left very little to the imagination.

“What’s with all the jewellery?” he asked.

“Not heard of punk at your la-di-da school?” she replied

“Punk? What’s that?”

“It’s a way of life, Sirius. Our way of rebelling against all the crap in the world. Music’s unbelievable.”

“Show me?” said Sirius. “I’ve got a radio.”

“You won’t find Punk Rock on the radio,” she said scornfully. Then she took it and started twiddling the knob to find a channel.

“Here,” she said, “that’s about the clearest station you’ll get. Song’s not bad either.”

“Man when I tell you she was cool, she was hot,
I mean she was steaming.”


“You got any money?” she demanded when the song had ended.

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, this beer’s nice but it’s not very strong. Let’s go and get some proper stuff. You’re tall and will pass for eighteen. Go to that offy and get some lager.”

“Offy? Lager?” Sirius was confused.

“God, you upper-class twits are really out of touch. Off licence: where they sell alcohol. Lager: it’s like beer!” she said scornfully.

She took his hand and led him to a dingy looking shop. Sirius doubted the man behind the counter would have worried about his age. He picked up a pack of six lagers then joined Jade outside.

“Back to the park?” he suggested.

“I’ve got a better idea. Let’s go to your place.”

Sirius jolted. “No, you can’t come with me!”

“What, I’m not good enough. Don’t want to upset Mummy?” she said, looking insulted.

Sirius sighed. While he was afraid of upsetting Walburga Black, he also wasn’t sure how to explain to Jade that, as a Muggle, she’d be unable to find the house, let alone get in.

“It’s too far away. How about your place?” he said hopefully.

Sirius was sure she knew he was lying but wondered if the lager he’d bought as well as his company were enough to keep her there. She looked at him.

“Nah, I don’t live alone “ we’d ‘ave to share all this.” She pointed to the lager.

“I can buy more,” he said eagerly, and opened his wallet. “Look, I’ve got more money.”

Jade eyed the notes in his wallet and the willingness in his eyes.

“Let’s stay in the park,” she said, “for now, and get to know each other a bit better. Then, maybe “ if you’re good “ I’ll take you back to my digs.”

Sirius blushed. Despite his popularity at school, girls were never this overt. He reached out for her hand. She did not push him away but linked her arm round his waist instead. Hesitantly, he curled his arm around her. She was extraordinarily thin. He could feel her hip bones jutting out.

“Are you hungry?” he asked her.

“A bit.”

“Let’s get some food then. How about here? I’ve always wanted to try this place.” He pointed to a small shop nestled between a book shop and a record store. Its garish neon sign, lit despite it being daytime, flickered on and off.

Jade laughed. “What, you’ve never been in a burger bar? Blimey, Sirius, you need a proper education!”

She led him in. He let her order, although he’d been intrigued at the menu and was longing to know what a ‘Double Cheese Hamburger with everything’ was.

“Is it made from cheese or ham?” he whispered.

“Wait and see,” she said. “Just pay the girl and we’ll go back to the park.”

Sirius had always been told how rude it was to eat in the street, so he took great delight in opening the French fries and sharing them with Jade. He held one near her mouth. She bit into it then licked the salt off his fingers. Sirius’ eyes widened in pleasure and she laughed at his response.

Back in the park, they lolled about on the grass and began to take the packaging off their burgers. Sirius bit into his with gusto.

“Bleughh! What’s that?” He spat something green out of his mouth.

“A gherkin, you muppet,” she said. “I hate them too.” She carefully picked the gherkin out of her burger and began to eat. Sirius noticed that she made no attempt to close her mouth when chewing. He found it slightly distasteful but wondered if it was a Muggle thing.

She opened two cans of lager and handed him one. He swigged on it. It wasn’t smooth like Butterbeer. It had a slightly acid tang which made it refreshing. In the heat it was blissful.

“Ready for another?” asked Jade as she drained her can.

“Err... not yet,” he replied. Sirius was barely a quarter of the way through.

“Too strong for you?” she mocked.

“Had stronger,” he replied as he remembered the night with the Firewhisky. “This is very fizzy, though.”

It was getting hotter. Jade began to fan herself, and then rubbed the cold can across her face and up her arms. Sirius wished he could get his wand out and cast a cooling spell around them both. He settled for peeling off his T-shirt.

“Wish there was a lake nearby,” he said, thinking of Hogwarts. “I could do with a dip.”

“Nothing round here,” she replied. “All the fountains are dry ‘cos of the drought.”

He drained his can and reached for another. Jade lit another cigarette but didn’t bother offering him one.

Suddenly, there was a yell.

“Oy, you two!” shouted a man, “No alcohol allowed in the Royal Park!”

“Shit!” exclaimed Jade. “We’d better move it. He caught me here yesterday and said he’d fine me if I turned up again.”

“Who is he?” said Sirius as he scrambled to his feet.

“Bloody fascist park patroller, that’s who,” whispered Jade. She grabbed his hand. “Come on, Sirius, run!”

Together, they ran for the park gate, Sirius dropped his T-shirt on the way but Jade wouldn’t let him go back. Once out of the park, she pulled him into a side street and against a wall. She was breathing heavily but Sirius wasn’t even out of breath. He looked down at her sweaty, flushed face. Her eyeliner was running and her lipstick was smudged. High on adrenaline, he closed his eyes, leant forward and kissed her. She froze for a moment, and then wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed him back. It was a long, lingering kiss, more exciting than snogging Sonia who’d always come up for air too soon.

“Back to yours, then?” he whispered as they finally broke apart.

She shook her head. “Sorry, sweetheart, not today.”

“Oh.” Sirius’ face fell.

She trailed one hand over his arm. “I’ve got things to sort out, Sirius. Maybe tomorrow, though?”

“Really?” he asked.

“Yeah, really,” she replied. “I’ll meet you outside that burger bar tomorrow at noonish. Okay?”

She leant into him again, this time twisting her arms around his neck and pulling him down to her lips. Then she pulled away, picked up the last full cans, and sauntered off. Sirius stood for a while, watching her go, but she didn’t turn back and soon she was swallowed up by the crowd.

Slowly, he turned away and started to walk home. He began to zip up his rucksack inside. His radio was gone. Hurriedly, he checked to see if anything else was missing. The matches were still there and, mercifully, his wand. He grimaced as he checked his back pocket “ no wallet. Merlin! That was all his Muggle money. He wouldn’t be able to get any more this holiday. Sadly, he made his way back to the house, sipping the half full can of lager as he walked. He savoured the taste knowing full well that once it was finished there was no money to buy more.

Man, we just fell about all over the place,
If that chick don’t want to know, forget her!


He entered number twelve Grimmauld Place quietly. Regulus was sitting on the stairs. Sirius approached, staggering slightly, and knocked over the troll’s leg umbrella stand.

“Hey, Reg, how are you?” he said woozily.

“Sirius, I’ve been waiting for you. I need to warn you!" Regulus said urgently.

“Warn me? What about?” whispered Sirius as he tried but failed to pick up the umbrella stand.

“Your O.W.L. results came in the post. Mum opened them,” Regulus replied in a worried voice.

“So what? I expect I did brilliantly. What can she complain about?” said Sirius, raising his voice.

“It’s not the results,” hissed Regulus. “It’s the subjects!”

Godric, how could I have been so stupid? thought Sirius. He knew he should have stayed in and intercepted the owl. Sirius hadn’t told either of his parents that he’d been taking Muggle Studies. He had a letter in his room that he had meant to substitute. Since year three, James had faked a Hogwarts letter for him that had omitted the set books for Muggle Studies, then Remus would buy two sets for them both.

Suddenly sober, Sirius looked at his brother, touched that he’d sat there to warn him. “Thanks, Reg, don’t worry about it. I’ll be fine.”

The drink will flow and the blood will spill,
If the boys want to fight, you’d better let them.


The hex caught him by surprise. He felt a sharp sting on his cheek. He turned to see his mother, apoplectic with rage, his results in her hand.

“Hey, Mum,” he said casually, belying the fact that he was thinking quickly. “How did I do?”

“You dare to speak to me. You dare to deceive me. MUGGLE STUDIES!” She aimed another curse at him. Sirius was used to this and reached into his bag for his wand.

“No, you don’t! You’d dare to use a wand on your own mother?” she screeched.

“For protection, yeah. Mum, let me see the results. I can explain everything.” He hiccupped. She came closer and grabbed his arm.

“You come home, wearing precious few clothes; you stink of alcohol and smoke. You disgust me! Is this what they teach at Hogwarts now? Is this the manners they approve of in Gryffindor or is this merely a habit you’ve picked up from the worthless half-blood scum you call friends?”

She leant right into his face. Sirius could see the maniacal rage in her eyes. He’d never pushed her quite this far before, but then she had never insulted his friends. In the past, she’d simply refused to acknowledge that Remus and Peter existed.

“Where have you been?” she demanded.

He shook his head. Walburga stepped back; Sirius thought she might be retreating. Instead, she lifted her hand and slapped him viciously round his face. The heavy Black ring she wore on her middle finger cut his cheek. Sirius could taste the blood as it ran onto his lip “ his eyes glittered strangely.

“I’ve been out!” he said defiantly. “Out in the park, enjoying the sun. And I met a girl “ a Muggle who gave me a cigarette. We bought lager and I kissed her.” The words were spilling uncontrollably from his mouth now.

“A girlfriend? A filthy Muggle in the Black family? I think not!” She hit him again, raised her wand and began to rain hexes down on him.

“No,” screamed Regulus. “Mum, you’re hurting him. Mum, please!”

Regulus was begging her now. Too scared to help his brother but too shocked to walk away, he stood up and tried to take his mother’s arm. At that moment, when she was distracted, Sirius reached for his bag and grabbed his wand. In one fluid movement he shot a Confundus curse at her then rushed up the stairs and into his room. He grabbed as much stuff as he could and looked round. Only last week he’d attached Gryffindor banners and a photo of his friends to the walls with a permanent sticking charm. He couldn’t remove them, but then neither could his parents.

Smiling grimly, he ran down the stairs. Walburga was recovering. He held his wand high, ready to repel her next curse.

“Regulus, tell my mother” - the word was laced heavy with sarcasm - “that I’ve had enough. I’m leaving!”

“But where will you go?” whispered his brother.

Sirius’ thoughts flickered briefly to the park and the burger bar, but he doubted he’d see Jade there tomorrow.

The boys are back in town.

“To James,” he said decisively.

He slammed the door on Grimmauld Place, knowing he’d never see it again.
End Notes:
So that's why he left home. The next chapter is from Lily's POV. Please leave a review. I thrive on reviews.
Chapter 6- Godric's Hollow. by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Lily had always liked the summer holidays. Freed from the restrictions of Hogwarts, she always spent her days with her best friend, Sev. But this year things are different and she's spent most of the summer in her room. Perhaps a hiking trip with Mary and her sister could be the answer to her gloom?

Thanks, as ever, to Terri (mudbloodproud) and Cassie (ms leading) for being fab betas.

I'm not JK Rowling, but I think you've already guessed that.
Lily looked out of her bedroom window. Another hot day awaited her. She sighed. With hair as red as hers and the fair skin to match, she didn’t enjoy the sun. Last year she and Sev had found a small, shady glade near the bank of the River Spinny. They’d idled away the hours discussing life in general and magic in particular. However, now that she and Sev were no longer friends she’d had to face the fact that there was no one here for her. She hadn’t kept in touch with her Muggle friends “ she hadn’t thought she’d ever need them “ and Petunia never invited her anywhere. This had never bothered her as she’d always had Sev, although...

A memory surfaced from last summer when she’d been dozing; she’d opened her eyes to find him just a bit too close with an intense look in his eyes. His hand had been outstretched as if he’d been about to touch her. He had looked guilty and jerked his hand back quickly. Lily had pretended not to notice anything amiss, but it was her first sign that he thought about her as more than a friend.

Perhaps she should have dealt with his feelings then. Instead she’d ignored it and buried the uncomfortable thoughts deep inside her. The truth was that she’d never thought of him as anything other than a friend, and his jealousy, dressed up as concern, had become irksome.

But, she thought sadly, at least he was always there, and now I’m sitting in my room, afraid to go near the river in case I see him.

She sat back on her bed and tried not to think about him.

“Lily,” called her mother. “Come quick! There’s an owl here for you.”

Lily smiled at the excitement in her mother’s voice. Lily had never had a regular correspondent from school, but this year Mary had been writing nearly every week to relate the latest in her relationship with Remus. Lily jumped off the bed and ran down the stairs. Like her mother, she still got excited by the arrival of an owl.

Dear Lily, she read,

I hope you’re still enjoying your holiday and not getting too upset by this glorious weather - ha-ha!

Lily grimaced. Mary loved the sun and would be as brown as a Bowtruckle when they returned to Hogwarts, whereas she’d still be as pale as her name. She read on.

We went to Huffle-on-the-Hill for a few days, which is supposed to be where Helga Hufflepuff was born (although the inhabitants of Helgastow disagree!). This got me thinking about all the other places the Founders lived.

Unfortunately, Dad has to go back to the Ministry tomorrow and Mum can’t stand this heat, but they’ve agreed that Martha and I can go by ourselves. Trouble is that we can’t use magic and neither of us are star students in Muggle Studies (I failed that, by the way, but did get an O in Divination and passed most of the others “ how did you do?).

So, lovely, darling, wonderful Lily, would you please, please, PLEASE come with us so we can get across the country using buses and trains and things? The thought of buying a ticket with Muggle money is terrifying us.

We want to go to Ravensglen in Scotland and Godric’s Hollow. We’re not sure where Salazar Slytherin was from (History of Magic - another one I failed - oops!) but we’re pretty sure he was from the Fens “ well, that’s what the Sorting Hat always says - so maybe we can make our way there and see what we can find out. This is another reason we need you, Lily; you’re not totally brainless like us “ ha-ha!

Please say you’ll help us!

Love,

Mary

P.S. Martha says please, too.

P.P.S. I’ve just had another letter from Remus - LOADS to tell you there!


Lily grinned. “Mum, Mary’s asked me to go hiking with her and her sister. Can I go, please?”

Dahlia Evans looked curiously at her daughter as if she couldn’t believe the change one letter could bring. Lily knew she’d been subdued this holiday, and guessed her mum didn’t believe her story about staying inside because of the heat of the sun. After all, it had never bothered her before when she’d spent all her spare time with the Sev. Lily guessed that her mum was relieved the pair of them weren’t together. She had the feeling her parents had never really liked Sev.

“Of course you can go, darling. Just make sure you send us a postcard,” Dahlia responded, smiling.

***


A week later, the three girls found themselves in Ravensglen. It wasn’t a totally magic village like Hogsmeade but a town with some wizards and witches living on the outskirts. There was a library in the town, a building that defied age and stood proudly at its centre. Lily entered with delight. She could feel magic in here “ not just from the wizards and witches who had been here “ but the magic of words. Mary and Martha left her there whilst they wandered around the town.

That evening they’d sat in their tent going through their itinerary.

“Where next?” asked Martha. “Godric’s Hollow, or shall we head for the fens?”

“Well, we’re not sure about the Slytherin village, are we?” said Lily. “So we need to do some research first.”

“Don’t tell me you’ve brought History of Magic with you?” laughed Mary.

“No, but the author of the book, Bathilda Bagshot, lives in Godric’s Hollow. Perhaps she’ll help.”

Lily lay awake after they’d fallen asleep. Carefully, she let herself out of the tent and looked up at the stars. The night was warm and although it wasn’t the punishing heat of the day she still felt uncomfortable. They had pitched their tent in a parched meadow near what had once been a stream before it had run dry. If only she were seventeen she could cast Aguamenti to cool down. She settled for lying on the grass and thinking through the evening’s conversation.

Mary had, once again, brought the conversation around to Remus and his friends. Lily had been hoping to have one evening when she didn’t have to think about Potter and his gang, but tonight hadn’t been the night. Then Martha, who was obviously tired of the constant analysis of Remus, had brought up the subject of Quidditch. Both Macdonald girls had a passion for the game and although Lily had little interest she found herself getting caught up with their enthusiasm.

“I can’t understand,” Martha said at last, “how you’ve spent five years at Hogwarts and not bothered about Quidditch, especially as we’ve won the Cup twice in that time.”

“I’m just not that into the whole competitive side of it. Se... I mean, someone I know always says it’s a pointless game played by idiots too dim to get House points in class,” said Lily.

“And is this person any good at Quidditch or flying?” asked Martha.

“At the time, he was dreadful but he’s pretty good now. He still hates Quidditch, though,” she replied, and then shook her head. She didn’t want to think about Sev. “You have to admit, it does stir up some awful rivalries.”

“Pfft! Healthy rivalries. Lily, there’s competition everywhere. House points, Gobstones, Exploding Snap - it’s all competitive.”

“Tell me what you love about playing,” said Lily.

Martha sighed. “It’s the chase, the flying, the wind rushing past my face, and the euphoria when I get to the Snitch before the other Seeker. Yes, there’s a downside; I get injured if our Beaters aren’t doing their job properly. When we lose it’s hell, and Preston’s a tit, but on the whole I can live with all that for the sheer joy of flying!” Her eyes lit up at the memory and her fair hair glistened in the torch light.

“And,” said Mary slyly, “you get to celebrate or commiserate with Gryffindor’s star Chaser!”

Martha poked her tongue out. “You still think I’ve got a thing about James, don’t you? Well, maybe I did ... once. But I know when I’m flogging a dead Hippogriff. It’s not me he’s interested in and it never will be.” She looked meaningfully at Lily who returned her stare without blinking.

“You don’t have to give up on my account,” she said, a touch archly. “Although why you’d want to go out with the arrogant pig, I don’t know.”

Mary tutted. “It’s not really arrogance, Lily, so much as pride. James is a great Chaser. I think he could easily get picked up by the pros. He isgood, so why should he be falsely modest about it?”

“It’s not just Quidditch,” protested Lily. “He’s such a show-off in class.”

“Mmm,” agreed Mary, “but so is Sirius and you don’t give him such a hard time, or Remus, and he’s the one who answers the most questions “ nearly as many as you, in fact!”

“So you think I’m arrogant, then, for answering questions?” Lily asked with a slight edge to her voice.

“No, not at all. You’ve got confidence just like James and Sirius. They’re just a bit louder,” replied Mary.

“Well, Potter only asks me out to bug me. He’s so full of himself, thinking he’s better than us mere mortals,” muttered Lily.

“He’s not like that, Lily, not really,” protested Martha. “He’s been so supportive this year.”

Lily reddened “ how on earth had the conversation got back to Potter again?

“You’ll need new players,” she said, trying to change tack, “with Stells leaving. Are you going to try out again, Mary?”

“I’d love to, but I’ve had such a bad run of injuries. And Preston won’t pick me, not after I finished with him,” Mary replied sadly.

“Would he honestly be that petty? He knows you’re good, and it was nearly a year ago,” said Lily.

“He might not be Captain this season,” Martha said abruptly.

Lily and Mary both stopped talking and looked at the younger girl.

“Put it this way,” Martha continued, “Professor McGonagall wasn’t exactly impressed with his performance either.”

“How do you know?” asked Mary.

“She cornered me one time after Transfiguration and asked me how Quidditch was going. It was after we’d narrowly beaten Ravenclaw and Preston decided to drop me. Preston didn’t pull me aside for a quiet word; he shouted in front of everyone. Even the Ravenclaws in the other dressing room were shocked. Mind you, I’m glad everyone could hear because if James and William hadn’t been there to haul him off...” She shuddered.

“And Professor McGonagall knows all this?” Mary asked, her voice little more than a whisper.

“I didn’t tell her everything. I said things were fine but I could tell she wasn’t fooled. She turned up a few times to watch practise sessions. I think she regrets making him Captain in the first place,” Martha said sagely.

“Why did she appoint him?” asked Lily.

Martha shrugged. “Not sure. I think the choice was between William Stells, James, and Preston. Stells was doing seven N.E.W.T.s and probably didn’t need the pressure; James was doing O.W.L.s and maybe she thought him too cocky. Besides, he’s the star player and the captaincy can put too much pressure on a player. They can lose form; so I suppose Preston was the best choice.”

“You really think she’ll drop Preston?” asked Mary.

“We weren’t the only ones watching his bust up with James,” replied Martha. “Professor McGonagall heard every word.”

“You never told me,” said Mary, “how awful Preston had been to you.”

Martha shrugged. “I didn’t want to upset you. You’d have thought it your fault because you’d only just dumped him and it was around the time you had that trouble with Mulciber.”

The three girls all shuddered at the name. The Slytherin in his sixth year had come across Mary in Hogsmeade. The details were hazy in her mind but she’d been found two hours later, unable to move, by the Hog’s Head barman, who had carried her back to Hogwarts. She could not recall what had happened, but there had been cuts on her hands and feet. Her last memory had been accidentally bumping into the Slytherin gang and Mulciber whispering something. But there had been no proof.

“I seem to attract trouble, don’t I?” Mary said mournfully.

“Not now you’ve got Remus,” Lily soothed.

With that thought, Mary had settled down to sleep and Martha had followed shortly after. Lily, however, had remained awake, disturbed by the memory of Mary being returned to the dorm. At the time she’d been sick with worry that Sev had been with the Slytherins. She’d been reassured by his protests that he had not been there, but she wondered now what she should believe.

It was starting to cool down and a breeze ruffled her hair. Lily went back inside the tent to sleep.


Three days, two buses, and a train ride later, the three girls found themselves in Godric’s Hollow. In the village square they passed a war memorial. There were many names engraved into the stone from two World Wars. It made Lily sad to see how many families had been decimated. There were even some wizard names on the stone; Lily saw a Bones and a couple of Vances.

Stiff from the travelling, they all agreed to spend a night in a local guest house on the main street which, they were delighted to discover, was run by a local witch, Margaret Abbot. To their dismay, she informed them that Bathilda Bagshot was away, but she did point them in the direction of the church. They settled for examining the parish records; it was mid-afternoon when they finished. They left the musty ante-chamber that housed the scripts, making their way outside. An elderly man was tending a grave as they stepped into the sun.

“Why, it’s Miss Evans, isn’t it?” he said.

Lily turned to face the speaker. He had messy, grey hair that looked as though it would never lay flat and wore glasses that were slightly askew. James’ father, Hereward Potter, was making his way towards them, smiling broadly.

“Mr Potter,” exclaimed Lily in surprise. “How lovely to see you.”

He stepped forward and raised her hand to his lips. “What brings you to Godric’s Hollow? Not my feckless son, I hope?”

“N-no,” she stuttered. “We’re visiting the Founders’ homes ... err ... and you?”

“Why, we live here. This is our home. I thought you knew?” he replied.

“I had no idea,” said Lily faintly as she turned back to Mary and Martha.

“Lily, I swear I didn’t know!” whispered Mary.

“Actually, James may have mentioned it,” said Martha, blushing.

Mr Potter was eyeing them curiously. “Miss Evans, will you introduce me to your friends? Although...” He stopped and looked directly at Martha, “Aren’t you the Seeker?”

Martha nodded.

“James has a team picture on his bedroom wall, but I don’t know your name.”

“Martha Macdonald,” she said.

“And this is her sister, Mary,” introduced Lily. “Mary’s in my year and Martha’s the year below.”

“Mary Macdonald,” Mr Potter mused. “You were at the lake when James fell in, weren’t you?”

“Yes,” she replied. “But I didn’t do much to help “ just ran off to get Hagrid. It was Lily who did all the work.”

His eyes twinkled at her. “So Sirius tells us. He turned up,rather suddenly, last week and dragged James off on a camping trip. He’s determined to do everything that Muggles do, and I’m afraid poor James is being towed along in his wake.” He smiled at them. “Ladies, with the boys away, my wife and I are at loose ends. Would you do us the honour of coming back to our house and having tea with us? My wife would never forgive me if I let you go now, Miss Evans. She’s been fretting that she never thanked you properly in the hospital and was sorry to miss you at the station.”

“Oh, there’s no need, Mr Potter. We wouldn’t want to put you and Mrs Potter to any trouble,” replied Lily.

“It would be no trouble. In fact, it would be a joy. Mrs Potter has been longing to meet you properly for some time, even before you saved James.”

“Me?” Lily said in surprise. “Why me?”

Mr Potter started guiding them towards the church gate. “She’s fascinated by Muggle-borns, my dear “ especially one as talented as you. James told us you were exceptional at Charms, which is also one of his mother’s specialities.”

Lily stopped walking. “What difference does being Muggle-born make?” she asked belligerently.

“No difference at all,” he replied quickly, obviously feeling the need to explain in case she took offence. “My wife is interested in genetics. She has a theory that Muggle-borns must have a powerful witch or wizard in their ancestry. Ever since James wrote to her about your ability in your first Charms lesson, she’s been curious about you. Popular opinion at the Ministry, and amongst some Pureblood families, is that Muggle-borns will never be as magical. However, you, Miss Evans, I’m delighted to say, seem to give a lie to their facts.

“Oh!” Lily quietly. She was thoughtful for a moment, remembering that lesson. Professor Flitwick had been teaching them Levitation Charms and she had managed to levitate her feather before anyone else in the class. James had been behind her and she’d caught a snatch of his conversation to Sirius. He’d said the word ‘Muggle-born’, she remembered. She’d turned to Sev sitting next to her.

“What did they say?” she had asked.

He’d looked into her eyes. “I don’t want to tell you.”

“Please, Sev, I want to know.”

“That one,” he’d surreptitiously pointed to James, “can’t believe you’re a Muggle-born because he doesn’t think they’re good enough. The other one thinks you must have cheated.”

It was as clear in her mind now as if it had been yesterday. She’d felt humiliated and tears had started in her eyes, but she’d swallowed hard. “I’m as good as them!” she’d declared in a fierce voice.

“You’re better than them, Lily. That’s what they can’t bear.” Sev’s words, little more than a whisper, had kept her going.

“Miss Evans, are you all right?” asked Mr Potter, interrupting her reverie.

“Does James share your opinion about Muggle-borns?” she asked.

He laughed. “James has little choice in our household. He finds our obsession with Muggles and Muggle-borns tiresome at times, but he’s always believed our theory.”

She’d never questioned Sev’s words, never challenged Potter about his conversation. She’d set herself against them and concentrated on her work. Bottling up those feelings hadn’t helped her, and when they’d let Remus and Peter into their circle, she’d turned against them too.

Something subtly altered in her mindset. Maybe the slurs had never been there? Perhaps he’d always been impressed?

“You’re better than them!” Sev had kept saying to her.

But, she thought, I knew Remus wasn’t like that. We’ve worked together in the library and we’ve patrolled together. Why was I so willing to believe it of Potter?

Lily barely heard the chatter around her. Mr Potter, delighted he had two Quidditch players in his midst, began telling them of his own playing days.

“I was a Seeker like you, Martha. At Hogwarts and then for Puddlemere United.”

“Wow! You were a pro; James never told me that,” gasped Martha.

“It was a long time ago. Don’t you find your parents’ tales boring?” he asked.

“Um, I suppose so. But then we’ve nothing as interesting as a professional Quidditch player in our family,” replied Martha.

He stopped by the front gate and mopped his brow. Lily noticed in the bright sun how old he looked. He held the gate open for them.

“Welcome to the Potter Mansion,” he said, laughing. It was not a mansion; they could see that. It was reasonably large but not overwhelming. The front garden, that looked as if it needed some attention, had obviously been well tended in the past. A cobblestone path curved delightfully up to a white wooden door.

All it needs is honeysuckle over a trellised archway for it to look like a jigsaw puzzle picture, Lily thought.

“You think it’s twee, Miss Evans?” Mr Potter asked perceptively.

She looked up at him. “It’s very pretty and very English. I just can’t see James in this setting at all. He’s too...” - she struggled for the word - “brash!”

He chuckled. “You’re right, of course. We found our home long before we had James. We loved the quaint appeal of it, the Muggle charm. James is like a constant whirlwind here; he’s never been still.” There was pride in his voice as he led them through the front door.

“Hal,” he called. “I found three waifs in the churchyard and I’ve brought them back for tea.”

“I’m in the kitchen, darling. Bring whoever it is through.”

They entered the kitchen to see Mrs Potter sitting at the kitchen table, reading. She looked up and smiled.

“Lily,” she cried. “How lovely to see you again. I was so sorry to miss you at Kings Cross. I never thanked you properly for all you did for James. Come here.”

Lily walked over to kiss the proffered cheek. James’ mother smelled of roses and exuded warmth. After Mr Potter introduced Mary and Martha, they sat around the table whilst he made tea and fetched biscuits.

“Oh! What are these?” Martha exclaimed excitedly as she bit into a chocolate and sponge confection with an orangey tang to it.

“It’s a Jaffa cake,” murmured Lily. “A type of Muggle cake. Well, more of a biscuit, I suppose.”

“It’s neither, really,” explained Mr Potter. “Which is why we like them, eh, Hal?”

Mrs Potter smiled. “Would you care to stay for supper?” she asked them.

“That would be lovely, as long as it’s no trouble,” replied Lily.

James’ mother got up and Lily heard a quiet whisper, no, a gasp, come from her. She had momentarily flinched in pain, and then her face assumed a mask. She noticed Lily looking at her and smiled. He husband, immersed in Quidditch memories, had noticed nothing remiss and soon bore the two sisters off to look at his trophy cabinet.

“We really don’t want to put you to any trouble, Mrs Potter. Please, you look tired to me. We can easily find food somewhere else as we did rather land ourselves on you,” said Lily.

“Nonsense,” she replied stoutly. “I enjoy the company. It’s wonderful to have girls in the house. I’m always outnumbered during the holidays - especially when James brings his friends home. “

“How long do James’ friends usually stay?”Lily asked.

“Well,” she explained, “most years they’ve all come for a week, but Sirius arrived last week and will be staying until September now.”

She looked at Lily as if she were assessing her, and then decided to carry on.

“I don’t know if you know the Blacks, Lily, but Sirius has left home. He’s had an almighty row with his mother, and is adamant that he won’t return.”

“But surely he’ll make it up with them. He won’t stay homeless.”

“Homeless?” Mrs Potter laughed. “Not while we have space; I’d never let that boy starve. For one thing, James would probably walk out, and Hereward would never speak to me again. He loves having Sirius and the other boys here; it reminds him of his own school days.” She paused to sip her tea. “The things he got up to. Such a charmer! Many a girl had their eye on him, I can tell you. You know the alarm on the girls’ staircase in Gryffindor?”

Lily nodded.

“Well, Hereward found a way past it!”

Lily looked up in alarm. “I hope he hasn’t passed on the secret to your son and his friends. The girls’ dorm is our only refuge! They’d be even more impossible...” She faltered, aware that she sounded very rude. After all, this was James’ mother she was talking to.

Mrs Potter was smiling at her words. “Don’t worry about that. Albus Dumbledore, who was our Head of House at the time, made sure the spells were reinforced. As mischievous as those boys are, they won’t outwit him!”

She finished her tea and started to get up. Once again, she winced.

“Mrs Potter, please, you’re obviously in pain. We can’t inconvenience you like this,” Lily cried.

Mrs Potter grabbed the young girl’s hand.

“I want you to stay. It’s the least I can do. If I’d lost my son, Lily...” She left the sentence unfinished.

“At least let me help,” replied Lily.

“That would be lovely,” agreed Mrs Potter. “And Lily, please call me Hal or Hally. I can’t stand this stuffy ‘Mrs Potter’ business.”

“Oh!” said Lily, taken aback. She didn’t think her parents would ever let her friends call them by their first names after such a short acquaintance. “Um, okay...Hally.”

Mr Potter, Mary, and Martha trundled back to the kitchen to find the two of them chatting and cooking. His wife was slicing cold meat with her wand and the knives were chopping tomatoes for a salad and peeling potatoes.

She looked across at them. “Ah, there you are. Has he been boring you with tales of his Quidditch exploits?”

“Oh, it wasn’t at all boring, Mrs Potter,” declared Mary. “Mr Potter’s stories were very interesting.”

“I was just telling Lily to call me Hally,” explained Hally, “So please, Mary and you too, Martha, feel free to do the same. And I’m sure Hereward would be delighted to be on first name terms with three young ladies.”

“Oh, yes,” agreed Hereward. “Charming idea. Makes me feel as if I’m back at Hogwarts again.” He smiled roguishly at Lily; she was once again struck by his resemblance to James. “What have you been up to, Hally, when I spirited these two away?”

“Lily was helping me with tea, dear, and I was just explaining how to roll out pastry.” She turned back to Lily who had a rolling pin in her hand.

“It’s always better,” explained Hally, “to do this the Muggle way. The pastry is so much lighter.”

“Unless you can find a good house-elf,” reproved Hereward.

His wife giggled like a schoolgirl. “Don’t mind him. He’s grumpy because we had a house-elf and she was a wonderful cook.”

“Was?” queried Mary.

“Still is!” stated Hereward. “But then my wife gets it into her head to free her.”

“So she left, Mrs Potter...um...I mean, Hally?” asked Mary.

“No,” laughed Hally. “She still works for us, but I’ve let her have some time off to look after her aunty. Sirius was disappointed; he always thought Sukey such an oddity and delighted in her.”

“That’s rather a lot of potatoes you’re peeling for five,” said her husband. “Shall I stop them?”

“Not five,” replied his wife, “seven.”

The girls looked at her blankly, but Hereward smiled at his wife.

“The weather’s finally going to break and James will dash home at the first drop!” she declared confidently.

Oh, Merlin! thought Lily. I really hope she’s wrong.

At six o’clock the heavens opened. The villagers of Godric’s Hollow whooped with joy as the ground thirstily drank the rain; Lily watched from the sitting room window.

Maybe James will sit it out, she thought hopefully. She really didn’t want to see him at the moment. However, the fates were conspiring against her. Just as they sat down to eat, and the smell of treacle tart was wafting through the house, she heard the sound of two teenage boys bickering.

“I don’t give a toss about that grotty tent, Padfoot. I’m not going back out in this tonight!”

“You wimp! What’s wrong with a bit of rain?”

“I’m soaked!” James’ voice had become rather high-pitched in his indignation. “I have no dry clothes since you dropped my bag in the river, and I lost my shoes in the mud!”

“Look, it’s not my fault the current swept your bag away. We could have waded in to get it.”

“If you think I’m ever going near a lake or a river again after last term then you’re thicker than McLaggen!”

“You’re just saying that because the lovely Lily wasn’t on hand this time,” said Sirius, laughing. Lily flushed slightly at the mention of her name. “Bet you’d relish the chance to have her save you again? If you time it right, you could snog her back instead of throwing up all over her.”

“Merlin, will you stop going on about that. I didn’t throw up on her...” Lily heard his footsteps stop, and then heard him say, “Blimey, that smells like treacle tart. Sukey must be back.”

James burst into the dining room, shoeless, dripping wet, with his cloak wrapped tight around him. His glasses broken, he squinted to see who was sitting at the table. It was a delighted and totally unabashed Sirius who enlightened him.

“Wow, Lily, what great timing. James was just saying how much he’d like to go swimming with you again!”
End Notes:
Oh, Sirius. Your timing is spot-on as always. Mmmm, treacle tart. Please leave a review. Concrit appreciated as well as gushing praise.
Chapter 7 - Treacle Tart and Quidditch. by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
James Potter has just returned home from a miserable camping trip with his best friend Siius Black. He is cold, wet and shoeless. He doesn't expect to come face to face with Lily Evans and her friends at the dining table.

Thank you to Terri (mudbloodproud) for beta'ing this chapter.

As you've probably gathered I'm not JK Rowling.
Whilst James stood in the doorway and turned crimson, Sirius began howling with laughter. Unlike James, he revelled in the rain, shaking drops out of his hair, his eyes and cheeks sparkling.

“Lily, Mary, Martha! What a lovely surprise. Chasing after me during holidays, too?”

Lily scowled, Mary sighed and Martha giggled.

“Nice to see you, too, Sirius,” replied Lily sarcastically. “Forgive me if I don’t get up and worship you immediately, but I’m dry and I don’t want to be put off my food.”

“Come on you two. Get out of those wet things and join us,” said Hereward Potter, getting up from the table and ushering the two boys up the stairs.

James and Sirius trooped upstairs and returned five minutes later, rubbing their hair dry with clean towels.

Sirius sat next to Martha, whilst James pulled up a chair next to his dad and opposite Mary.

“So,” began James, ostensibly to Mary, but he kept glancing at Lily, “What are you doing here?”

“We didn’t know you lived here,” Lily said quickly. “We’re on a hiking trip to visit the Founders’ places of birth. Mary and Martha went to Huffle-on-the- Hill; we all went to Ravensglen; now we’re in Godric’s Hollow. Tomorrow we’ll head off for...” She stopped.

“Head off where?” asked Sirius with interest.

“Well, we’re not totally sure of Salazar Slytherin’s birthplace.”

“Somewhere dark and slimy, I’m sure,” said Sirius. Lily ignored him but Martha giggled again.

“We wanted to talk to Bathilda Bagshot about it, but she’s away,” Mary continued.

“No problem,” said James. “My dad’s almost as knowledgeable as old Batty. He’ll help.”

“Really!” exclaimed Mary. “Can you help, Hereward?”

Hereward looked at her and smiled warmly. “I can try. I’ll have a look tonight for you.”

The conversation turned to O.W.L.s.

“How did you do, James?” asked Mary.

“Four Outstandings, five Exceeds Expectations and an Acceptable in stupid Divination,” he said nonchalantly as he speared a potato. “And you?”

“Not as good as you. I got four Exceeds Expectations, one Acceptable, two Dreadfuls; but I did get an Outstanding in wonderful Divination,” replied Mary, grinning.

“How about you, Evans?” asked James, looking across to Lily. It was the first time he’d addressed a question to her since he’d sat down.

“Four Outstandings and six Exceeds Expectations,” she said quietly. As she looked up, she saw James staring at her. He looked away hurriedly.

“Well done, Lily,” Hereward congratulated.

“How about you, Sirius?” Martha asked, turning her face towards him.

His face froze; he laughed bitterly.

“I don’t know. My old mum opened the results and I haven’t seen them.”

“Wow!” said Martha, oblivious to the tension that greeted any mention of Walburga Black. “You must have done really badly.”

Sirius laughed and suddenly the tension was diffused. “Quite the opposite, I think she flipped because I’d done well in Muggle Studies.”

“You saw that result then?” stated Lily.

“Nope, but I had to write an essay about a form of Muggle Transport. James will tell you about my fascination for speed and motorbikes.” He spoke matter- of- factly, but with confidence in his voice.

“Pride comes before a fall, Sirius,” said Lily.

“In the Black family, it’s pride comes and you don’t fall “ ever,” he replied, the bitter note returning to his voice.

There was a silence as everyone stopped eating.

“Professor Dumbledore will send your duplicate results soon,” Hally said soothingly.

“Hope so. I have no idea which books to buy for next year.” He turned to Lily. “What were your O’s in?”

“Herbology, Arithmancy, Charms and Potions,” she replied. She looked at Sirius and smiled slightly; there was a note of pride in her voice.

“Good Godric, Evans!” said James, picking up another slice of meat. “That’s amazing. Potions! I thought that was impossible.”

“James,” said his mother reprovingly. “Lily has a perfectly lovely first name, so why do you always call her by her surname?”

James spluttered on his pumpkin juice. “I err...don’t know but Evans, I mean Lily, always calls me Potter.”

“Because you call me Evans!” she retorted, her eyes flashing.

Sirius groaned and helped himself to more potatoes. “They’re off again. Let’s change the subject. Lily, well done on your Potions result; Prongs is obviously miffed because he only got an E.”

“What were your O’s in then, James?” asked Martha, who was barely touching her food, pushing it around the plate as she watched Sirius.

“Transfiguration, Defence, Charms and History of Magic,” he replied, and smiled at his dad.

“History of Magic! But you always mess around in the lessons,” Lily cried in amazement. “You two are the only ones whose names Binns remembers!”

“Oh-ho!” Hereward chuckled. “Now we’re getting to the truth.”

“Binns is so boring, even Ev... err, Lily will admit that, but I have Dad and Bathilda nearby. She used to babysit, so I picked it all up from them. Seriously though, that’s an impressive Potions result,” said James earnestly.

He did sound impressed and Lily felt a faint glow inside her “ as if, somehow, his opinion mattered.

“Sluggy will be pleased with his star pupil,” said Mary, laughing. “You’ll be Queen of the Slug Club.”

“Slug Club?” questioned Hereward. “What’s that?”

Mary turned to him to explain.

“Professor Slughorn, our Potions Master, likes to encourage certain students. Usually, this is because they come from the right family or have a special talent.”

“So, it isn’t wealth he looks for?” enquired Hally with interest.

“No,” replied Mary, “he’s not that crude. Lily was selected on talent alone. I think it shocked him that she was Muggle-born.”

Lily found herself blushing. “Stop it, Mary. He asked those two as well,” she said, pointing to James and Sirius.

“He grudgingly asked me. I don’t think he’s got over the shock of a Black in Gryffindor. Anyway, he won’t ask me back now that I’ve left home,” said Sirius, with an air of unconcern.

“But you’re a member, James?” said his mother.

“Supposedly, Mum, but I never go to any of his ‘soirees’,” replied James scornfully.

“You mean you were chucked out for spiking the mead at the Christmas party,” said Sirius, laughing and winking at Martha. She smiled back.

Hereward looked across at his son, a twinkle in his eye; James looked back at him and snorted.

“What colour did they turn?” Hereward asked in a stage whisper.

“Very green,” James replied and grinned at his dad.

“And we stayed that way for the whole weekend!” complained Lily. “I haven’t forgotten, Potter.”

“Oh, come on, Evans. I did warn you off the mead to start with, and I offered you the antidote; you refused it!” protested James.

“They’ve started again,” said Mary, sighing.

“So,” Sirius said, to change the subject. “An O in Divination, Mary. I didn’t know you were that good.” He looked directly at Martha “Are you a mind-reader too?”

“It’s our Celt blood,” Martha said laughingly.

“You don’t look Celtic at all,” he said, and he gently tugged one of her blonde curls, “more Saxon.”

Martha smiled widely; Lily noticed how Sirius mirrored her smile as he looked into her face.

“You’re from a Seer family, then?” questioned Hereward. “True Seers are incredibly rare.”

Mary grinned. “I’m good at sensing moods and body language, that’s all. It’s Hally that seems to be the Seer, predicting that storm.”

Hally laughed. “Not really, don’t you ever think you can smell rain?” she said; Mary nodded but the others looked nonplussed.

“Wonder how Remus and Peter did?” mused James, as he finished his last potato.

“They’ll tell us when they get here,” replied Sirius, turning his attention back to his near empty dinner plate.

“Five Outstandings and five Exceeds Expectations,” said Mary, swallowing her food down in one gulp.

“Say again?” said James.

She swallowed more thoroughly. “Remus got five O’s and five E’s. He told me in his last letter,” she repeated, and they could all hear the vicarious pride in her voice.

“Good Godric! Five O’s. That’s almost indecent,” exclaimed Sirius. He began to help himself to Martha’s food so she pushed her plate towards him.

“What in?” asked James, a note of envy in his voice.

“Defence, Charms, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies,” recited Mary.

“There you are, James,” said his mother slyly, “you’re still top in Transfiguration.”

James smirked, and then said, “Padfoot will have an O as well. I don’t mind sharing with him.”

“Is there no one else from your year likely to get top marks?” asked Martha.

James was silent and Sirius stopped eating as though the question was distasteful.

“Severus Snape,” said Lily quietly. “He could.”

“The Slytherin boy that you get into all that trouble over?” asked Hally with disapproval in her voice. “You never said he was clever.”

“Sneaky, ambitious and, yeah, clever. He spends most of his time cooking up dark hexes in his dungeon of a dormitory,” said James darkly as he stabbed his fork into a piece of broccoli.

“Mwah-ha-ha-ha!” laughed Sirius, imitating a Vampire and pretending to bite Martha’s neck.

I hate all this rivalry, thought Lily. If they hadn’t picked on Sev from that first day, I wouldn’t have lost a friend.

“What are you thinking, Lily?” Hally’s voice interrupted her thoughts.

“Were the House rivalries really intense when you were at school, Hally?” she asked, looking into her pale-blue eyes.

It was Hereward who answered. “Not for me,” he said. “I had friends from different houses, especially fellow Quidditch players.” He looked at Sirius. “I counted your Uncle Alphard as a friend in those days.”

“Are you really telling me that you didn’t hate Slytherin?” said James, taken aback.

“It was never hate, James, we had a healthy rivalry, but they were different times. It was before Grindelwald’s reign of terror and Voldemort’s “ sorry,” he said, noticing the three girl’s alarm, “You-Know-Who’s rise.”

“So you think You-Know-Who is behind all the tension, Mr P...err...Hereward?” asked Lily as she placed her knife and fork in the centre of her plate.

“His influence, certainly, is a malign one,” replied Hereward.

There was another long silence, broken only by the sound of Sirius scraping his plate.

Hally got up, went out to the kitchen, and returned with the treacle tart. She brought it over to the table and served up seven portions with fresh cream.

“Wow, this is wonderful,” said Sirius. “I will marry the girl who can cook a treacle tart as well as Sukey. Where is my favourite house-elf, by the way?”

“Sukey’s not back yet, Sirius,” replied Hally. He looked up to see her laughing at him.

“Lily,” declared Hereward, “I believe Sirius has just proposed to you!”

Wrong-footed, for once, Sirius looked at Lily. She was amused, whereas Martha looked a bit downcast.

“Fantastic!” he roared. “I can’t wait to tell my parents. Shall we make it a June wedding, Lily, or would you rather not wait? I could probably squeeze you in next Thursday.”

“I’m not sure about the name, Lily Black “ it makes me sound like a death omen,” mused Lily.

“At least his surname isn’t White,” said Mary, snorting with laughter. “Lily White, eternally pure.”

“Urgh! No good for the honeymoon and while we’re on that subject,” said Sirius with an exaggerated leer in his voice. He leant over the table to stare into Lily’s eyes. “Where should we go Mrs Black-to-be?” He began to laugh, and then stopped as he noticed James glaring at him and Lily flushing at his insinuation. Smirking slightly, he sat back in his chair.

It appeared that Hereward had also noticed his son’s demeanour, for he began speaking again.

“Hally, my dear, you should fill them in on your rivalries at school.”

“Rivalries, you, Hally?” exclaimed Sirius. He sounded surprised.

“Couple of Ravenclaw girls I couldn’t stand, a Hufflepuff, a Slytherin and one Gryffindor in particular.”

“Mum, you’ve never told me this! What happened to your ‘live and let live’ philosophy?” James was amazed.

Your father’s ex-girlfriends,” she said succinctly. “One or two of them were remarkably persistent.” She glared at Hereward and, for a moment, Lily had a glimpse of the feisty girl Hally must have been.

“Boys, help me with the plates,” she said tersely. Sirius and James stood up immediately and began to clear the table.

“That’s good,” said Hereward, as she left. “I thought she was going to bring up the Valentines’ Day incident when I triple booked.”

“You were seeing two other girls whilst dating Mrs Potter?” questioned Martha, shocked.

“Oh no, Martha, I was never untrue to Hally. I had to chase her for a long time so, once she agreed to go out with me, I didn’t dare mess it up.”

“Like father, like son,” whispered Mary to Lily, who pretended not to hear.

James and Sirius came back carrying a decanter of mead and some glasses.

“Mum’s gone to bed,” announced James. “She said sorry for not staying up, but she hopes to see you tomorrow.” He began to pour some drinks.

“Not for us, thank-you,” said Lily. “We really should be going.”

“You’re not thinking of camping are you? I don’t think that was the last of the rain and you could easily stay here,” said Hereward.

“No, we found a guest house in the main street,” replied Mary.

“Oh, Margaret Abbott’s place “ very suitable. Well, if you’re sure, then the boys will walk you there, but please, make sure you come back tomorrow and I’ll see what I can discover about Salazar for you.”

“There’s no need,” Lily tried to say to James, but he was already wrapping himself in his, now dry, cloak.

“It’s been raining,” he mumbled, “and the paths can be slippery when muddy.”

The three girls turned to say goodbye to Hereward. He courteously kissed each one on their hands before pouring himself some mead.

James opened the front door and stepped out onto the path. Something glinted on his cloak. At first, Lily thought it was a buckle, but under the moonlight she could see it clearly.

“Congratulations.” She nodded towards Martha, who was giggling as Sirius was attempting to wrap his cloak around them both. “You were right; Preston got the chop.”

“James,” squealed Martha. “That’s brilliant!”

She turned away from Sirius, rushed to James, and standing on tip-toe; she kissed him.

Caught off guard and taken aback by her enthusiasm, James staggered, clutched hold of her; and then kissed the top of her head.

“You’ve pulled, mate,” said Sirius, but Lily noticed a touch of acid creeping into his voice.

Lily watched as James looked down at Martha. He seemed to be considering something. He saw Lily watching him, blinked, and released Martha.

“Come on, it’s this way,” he said abruptly. Bemused by the turnaround, Martha followed him, leaving Lily with Sirius and Mary.

“Well, Oh Noble Seer,” said Sirius, in a mocking tone to Mary, “what do you make of that display of body language?”

“Sirius Black, if I didn’t know you any better, I’d say you were jealous,” Mary teased.

“Nonsense,” he scoffed.

“You’re right,” she agreed, “but… just in case I’m not, the Martha you saw there is not the one with a crush on James. She’d never have done that a year or even a month ago. Body language is all wrong.”

He was quiet and kept his face down as they trailed after James and Martha.

“You don’t have to ask my permission to go out with her,” Mary continued after a while. “Just don’t hurt her. It could be messy what with me seeing Remus.”

“I don’t hurt people intentionally,” he said sulkily.

“I know, it’s just that you’ll always put your friends first, won’t you?”pointed out Mary

Sirius glared at her. Mary looked at Lily who began to speak.

“Sonia told us, you know. It was the reason she didn’t mope when you finished it. She told us she’d asked you to choose and you chose them.”

“Girls shouldn’t issue ultimatums if they’re not prepared for the results,” he muttered darkly and started to scuff his shoes along the wet ground.

Mary stopped walking. “I’m not as stupid as Sonia. Just don’t be too greedy with Remus, eh?”

Sirius looked into her dark brown eyes, at the moonlight casting silvery shadows across her face.

“As long as Remus is happy, we won’t interfere,” he said plainly.

They could hear Martha and James talking about Quidditch and sped up to catch them.

“Did you get your broom back?” Lily heard Martha say.

“No,” James replied, and his head drooped a bit. “I’ll have to buy a new one.”

“That’s a good thing, isn’t it?” said Lily. She was climbing over a stile and James held out his hand to help her down. He winced.

“Have I said something wrong?” asked Lily in bemusement, as she landed on the muddy track. “Oh Merlin! It wasn’t your dad’s was it?” She looked straight at him, horrified at the thought.

James smiled wryly. “No, nothing like that. He bought it for me when I made the team in the second year and he’d carved my initials and the date of my first match into the handle. After that, I recorded every match date I played on the broom. It’s a tradition he started in his Hogwarts days and carried through on his Puddlemere United broom. Did he show you that?”

Mary and Martha nodded, but Lily looked blank.

“I stayed in the kitchen making treacle tart with your mum,” she explained apologetically.

James laughed. “Mum will think she’s found her soul mate; someone else who despises Quidditch.”

“I’m sure she doesn’t despise it,” said Lily.

“But you do.” It was a statement not a question.

For a moment his hazel eyes gazed into her green ones; they looked, of all things, beseeching.

“No, I don’t despise it.” She dropped her gaze.

“And that,” Lily thought she heard Mary whisper to Sirius, “is the body language you should be looking out for, Mr Black!”

***


It seemed the storm had washed away the stickiness. Although still warm, the humidity had gone. Lily and Mary decided that they would move on that day, once they’d talked to Hereward and said goodbye to Hally. Martha reluctantly agreed, although she’d been hoping they might stay longer in Godric’s Hollow.

They made their way to the Potter’s house. James answered the door, wearing only pyjama trousers and chewing a piece of toast.

“Sorry. Are we too early?” asked Lily.

He snorted. “Not at all, Mum and Dad have been up for ages.” He grinned at them. “I’m lazy, but at least I’m awake “ Sirius is snoring like a dugbog.”

He led them into a room full of books where his dad was sitting at a desk studying a map.

Hereward peered at them from beneath his glasses.

“Ah ladies, come in. I think I’ve found a candidate or two for Salazar’s home.”

James yawned. “I’ll leave you to it. It’s time to wake the slacker.”

They soon heard a yell coming from upstairs. It seemed the whole house shook, as a fleet-footed James ran into the garden followed by an enraged and very wet Sirius, wearing only underpants.

“Prongs!” he yelled. “Get back here and...” He stopped, noticing Hereward’s guests.

“Ah!” he said, feigning casualness. “Morning girls. Admiring my muscles? Care to see the mighty Sirius Black gain revenge on the feeble Potter?”

Martha giggled and followed him into the garden.

“Colloportus!” said Hereward to the door as Lily and Mary studied the map. He turned back to them.

“It’s very hard to be accurate about Salazar Slytherin’s birthplace,” he began. “Far harder than the other three Founders. Do you know why this might be?”

“Because he was secretive?” suggested Lily.

“Very good,” said Hereward approvingly, “but not the whole story. Tell me, what did you notice as you came into Godric’s Hollow?”

“The war memorial in the village square,” said Lily promptly.

“Correct “ and the inscription is for the valiant. What about Ravensglen?” he asked.

“Oh!” said Lily, her eyes widening in understanding. “The library.”

Hereward beamed, and then carried on. “Of course, the most influential of the Founders is indisputably Helga Hufflepuff. Huffle-on-the-Hill, Helgastow and Huffend all have good claims. Have you been to these places?”

“I didn’t, but Mary and Martha went to Huffle-on-the-Hill,” replied Lily.

“What did you think?” he asked her.

Mary considered carefully. “It was...diverse, I guess. There were lots of different types of people living and working together. Oh, I see what you’re getting at now!”

“The places where the Founders were born are imbued with their spirit and the values they held dear. In Helga Hufflepuff’s case, it’s everywhere she lived!”

“So why is Slytherin’s birth place so hard to find?” asked Mary.

“Partly, as Lily said, because of his secretive nature but mainly because of his pure-blood insistence. Any place he influenced has died out through inbreeding “ they didn’t welcome newcomers “ the very antithesis of Helga Hufflepuff.”

“So, it’s a dead end then?” said Lily despondently.

“No, there are places you can try, small hamlets, perhaps, with a Parselmouth connection and we know from the Sorting Hat that he was from the fen area of England.” He pointed to Cambridgeshire on the east coast. “Serpents’ Lair, Slythy Fen. They were both in this area, although they are the old names.”

Hal opened the door bearing a tray with Butterbeer and more Jaffa cakes.

“Do you want this in here?” she asked cheerfully. “Or would you like to join us all in the garden?”

Hereward took the tray from his wife whilst Lily and Mary followed Hally as she led them into the garden.

The Potters’ back garden had the appearance of a field. At the top there was a patio with large pots of flowers in riotous colours. Hereward placed the tray onto a wrought iron table and quickly summoned three additional chairs for them all. There were some small steps leading down to a huge expanse of lawn

“Wow!” said Lily. “What a fantastic garden.”

“Useful for Quidditch practise,” said James, who was now as wet as Sirius. “Fancy a game, anyone?” he continued.

“Thought you didn’t have a broom?” said Mary.

“Oh, we’ve loads in the shed, and Sirius has brought his.”

Mary and Martha agreed; so whilst James and Sirius ran back to the house to get changed; Hereward selected three brooms. Then, with James playing alongside Mary, and Sirius with Martha, they began.

It was a cheerful game, as far removed from the House Quidditch matches as anything Lily had ever seen. But, even though it was a friendly and even though she was no expert, Lily could see that James was exceptional. Not only that, but he seemed exhilarated by flying. Sirius was confident on a broom and flew with speed but James’ broom seemed to be an extension of him. She found herself cheering along with Hereward when anyone scored.

“Do you fly, Lily?” Hereward asked her.

“Not very well,” she admitted.

“You should get James to teach you,” said Hereward. “He showed endless patience with Peter and you’re far prettier,” he added roguishly.

Lily spluttered and upset her pumpkin juice.

“Don’t embarrass the girl, you old charmer,” tutted Hally. “Not everyone thinks Quidditch is a religion.”

But Hereward had turned back to the game.

“Sirius, watch where you’re putting the Quaffle!” he bellowed as the ball whistled past his ear.

“Come on, Padfoot,” jeered James. “No one can be that bad.”

“Just biding my time, you toerag,” snarled Sirius.

“Really,” said Hally. “I don’t know where they get these expressions from. I mean, what is a ‘toerag’?”

Lily suppressed a smile. She noticed that Sirius seemed to be spending most of his time protecting Martha rather than the hoops, and that whenever she scored, he insisted on rather a lot of celebratory hugs. Martha, for her part, didn’t seem to be protesting.

“Well done,” congratulated James to Mary, as they landed on the grass. “You’re nearly back to form. Will you try out this year?”

“Yes, I think so,” she replied, her face flushed from the exercise.

“I demand a rematch!” yelled Sirius.

“Not today,” said Lily firmly. “I’m sorry to spoil the fun but we have to think about getting a move on.”

“Yes, Miss Evans,” bleated Martha.

They gathered their things together. Sirius, in what he said was the spirit of Gryffindor chivalry, took Martha’s bag from her and said he and James would escort them to the bus stop. This appeared to flummox James and he couldn’t work out if he was supposed to carry both Mary and Lily’s bags.

“Don’t worry about it, Potter,” said Lily, but she was laughing. “I’ll take good care of your map,” she promised Hereward. The three girls gave Hally a kiss goodbye and then they set off.

As they walked, Sirius and Martha kept up a constant stream of chatter with Mary contributing occasionally; James and Lily lagged a little bit behind, walking in silence.

“Your parents are lovely,” she said at last.

“And you’re surprised at that,” he stated. “What did you expect?”

“Oh, less down to earth, more...” she stopped, unable to think of a polite way of saying it.

“Arrogant? Is that the word you’re looking for? I guess I’m the apple that fell far from the tree, right?” asked James, a touch acerbically. He sighed and looked down at his feet. Lily was silent; their conversations since the lake had been awkward. In a strange way, she almost wanted the old James back “ the one who was a jerk “ then she could get back to disliking him.

“They had me very late in life,” he continued after a while. “Mum was fifty- four which is old “ even for a witch. She told me she’d given up all hope, and then suddenly found she was expecting. I know I’m spoilt, Lily, but I also know how lucky I am “ especially when I look at Sirius.” He shuddered.

“What happened to him?” she murmured.

“I’m not sure yet. Something about a Muggle girl and his O.W.L. results. I think Mum knows more, but he’ll tell me when he’s ready,” replied James.

They arrived at the bus stop. “I hope your mum is better soon,” said Lily. “We weren’t a burden, were we?”

James looked puzzled. “Mum’s fine,” he said. “She had a bit of flu recently but she’s okay now.”

Lily looked away, determined not to give anything away by a look or word. Obviously, James had no idea that his mother was in almost constant pain.
End Notes:
I think I'm jealous of my OC! How did that happen?

I love reviews. Concrit or gushing praise; it's all gratefully received.
Chapter 8 - Slythy Fen. by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Having left Godric's Hollow, Lily, Mary and Martha continue their hiking trip to visit the homes of the Founders. But when Lily hurts her ankle, help arrives from a most unexpected source.

I am indebted to Terri (mudbloodproud) and Cassie (ms. leading) for beta'ing this chapter.

I'm not JK Rowling and I doubt that's news to any of you. I do love playing in her world, though.
According to Hereward, the village of Brackenfen, near March in Cambridgeshire, was once called Slythy Fen. March, he’d told them, had once been an island, a remote place surrounded by marshes. But due to the ingenuity of Muggles the marshes had been drained leaving March and the surrounding area as fertile ground. However, Brackenfen remained an isolated spot, untouched by tourism.

It took three trains and much hanging around in deserted, crumbling station waiting rooms until the three girls arrived at Brackenfen. Aching from a cramped night’s sleep, they didn’t feel up to exploring at six A.M.

“Shall we wait in here for a bit?” suggested Lily, pointing to a dingy station cafe. “We might get some breakfast, or something.”

They walked inside; a man in his fifties stood behind a counter. He had grey, greased back hair and grimy fingernails. Lily decided not to ask for a homemade sandwich, but returned with three, rather stewed, cups of tea and three biscuits. She pointed to a notice on the wall which read‘No breakfast served until 7 A.M.’ Mary giggled and bit into her biscuit which bent rather than snapped because it was stale. “Blah!” She spat it out. “That’s revolting!”

The man behind the counter glared at her. She blushed and pushed the biscuit away from her.

“You Brits sure put up with shoddy service!” said a man at the next table. “Don’t you ever complain?”

Again, the man behind the counter glared. “We don’t need any trouble from the likes of you!” he said.

“All I asked for was a hotter cup of coffee,” whispered the man, who was young, probably in his twenties. “It seems to be a Federal offence ’round here.”

Lily smiled; he took that as an invitation and walked over.

“May I join you?” he asked politely.

She nodded, and, recognising his soft accent, said, “Are you from America?”

“Why, yes, ma’am,” he drawled in the way she’d heard cowboys speak in the movies. He grinned. “What gave it away?” he said in a less accented way. “The jeans? The sneakers? The coffee, or the accent?”

Lily laughed, then caught her breath as he turned his smile on her. Glory, he was handsome! she thought. Broad-shouldered and muscular, his hair was cropped very short which only seemed to emphasise the startling blue of his eyes. He looked too good to be true, as if he’d stepped straight out of a movie.

“I’m Richard, by the way. Richard Soule, or Rich to my friends.”

“L-Lily,” she stuttered. “Lily Evans. And these are Mary and Martha Macdonald.”

“Well, hello there, Lily-Lily Evans,” he said teasingly, as she flushed. “What brings you here?”

“Oh,” said Martha, “we’re trying to find the birthplace of... OW!” She stopped as Mary kicked her hard on the shin.

Rich smiled. “The birthplace of whom?”

“Oh, no one you know - it’s one of the founders of our school,” continued Mary.

“What are you doing here?” asked Lily.

He picked up his book, A Guide to Britain.

“Just bumming around for a bit. Not sure how long I’ll stay here for. Most of the people in this town seem to be stuck in some 1940’s time warp.”

Mary and Martha looked blank, but Lily nodded - she’d heard tales from her grandparents.

“Us Yanks came over here to fight during the war and caused a bit of a stir in the community. There were three things wrong with us. We were overpaid, oversexed, and over here!” he declared loudly, in the direction of the counter.

Lily giggled, a strange girly giggle. Really, she thought, what has come over me?

He drained his cup. “Urgh, you Brits don’t know how to make coffee either. Ladies, it’s been a pleasure, but I must love you and leave you.”

“Oh!” said Lily dispiritedly.

He looked at her downcast face. “Maybe we’ll meet again Lily-Lily,” he said softly, and then sauntered out of the railway cafe.

“Wow!” said Martha. “He’s gorgeous.”

“Bit too smooth,” said Mary, wrinkling her nose.

“I’ll take the smooth over rough any day,” said Lily dreamily.

Mary looked at her oddly. “Lily Evans, you sound like a page from Witch Weekly. I thought you weren’t interested in romance.”

“Spending time with you sighing over Remus must have rubbed off on me. I can dream, can’t I?” said Lily, blushing slightly. “Actually, I think it’s Martha you should be strict with - first Sirius, now Rich.”

“Hmm,” said Mary. She seemed unwilling to let the matter drop, but she turned to her sister all the same. “Lily has a point. You seemed very keen on Sirius, Martha.”

It was Martha’s turn to blush. “There’s no way Sirius would ever be interested in a fifth year - he’s way too cool.”

“Wouldn’t be too sure of that,” said Lily. “He spent enough time with you at the Potters’ house. All that horsing around while playing Quidditch - he seemed interested.”

“That’s probably because I was the only available female,” said Martha.

“He was never that interested in Sonia, was he, Mary?” argued Lily. “And what do you mean ‘only available female’? I’m available!” She stopped and laughed as she realised what she’d said. “No, I don’t mean it like that. I am not interested in Sirius. Mary, stop looking at me like that. You know I’m not interested in him.”

“It’s not Sirius I’m thinking about,” Mary said seriously.

“Oh, not Potter again?” said Lily. “I am not interested in Potter either.”

“You seemed to be getting on well at Godric’s Hollow,” said Martha, pleased that the conversation was taking them away from Sirius. “At least, you weren’t at his throat the whole time.”

“Oh, well, we’ve sort of reached an ... err ... understanding,” muttered Lily.

“What?” Mary and Martha shrieked together. The man at the counter glared at them fiercely, although there were no other customers to disturb.

“So you’re going out together?” said Mary.

“No?” said Lily in puzzlement, then it clicked. “Not that sort of understanding, silly. I mean he apologised to me for being a jerk this year, and has said he’ll leave me alone.”

“And you’re happy with that?” questioned Mary.

“Of course I am. Why wouldn’t I be? It’s perfect. Things will be so much better at school. I’ll be able to concentrate on things,” said Lily, aware that she was babbling.

“So he distracted you before, then?” said Martha, winking at Mary.

“Oh, you two are infuriating at times!” moaned Lily. “For the last time: there never has been, nor will there ever be, anything between me and James.”

“She called him James,” said Mary excitedly. “Martha, she called him James!”

Lily picked up the remains of her stale biscuit and threw it at her friend.

“OY!” yelled the man behind the counter. “No hooligans in my cafe. Get out, NOW!”

Apologising profusely to the man, Lily grabbed her things and ran out. Mary and Martha followed her, still giggling.

They sat on a bench outside the station and Lily pulled out their map. Hereward had drawn a path but had warned them that Salazar Slytherin had probably made his birthplace Unplottable. It could have Muggle-repelling charms and all sorts of jinxes surrounding it - maybe only pure-bloods could enter. He’d been unsure whether they’d work after all this time.

“Let’s try anyway,” said Lily. “It’s silly to come all this way and not bother.”

They left the bench and walked towards the coast. It was starting to spit with rain and they were glad of their cloaks.

“Merlin, it’s a miserable day!” Martha said, sighing. “I wonder if they ever see the sun.”

“Must mean we’re on the right track,” Mary replied. “It’s an ugly place. No Muggles would choose to live here.”

They walked on for a while. The landscape, though desolate, was compelling. With no hills, the horizon stretched out far in front of them. Lily lifted her head to the distance and, not looking where she was going, suddenly slipped.

“OW!” she shrieked, as her foot went down a rabbit hole. “Oh, Salazar, that hurts!” She crouched down holding her ankle with both hands.

“Lily, can you walk?” asked Mary urgently.

“Yes,” she replied. “I think it’s just twisted.” But her face went white as she stood up and put weight on it. She sank back to the ground. “Oh, Merlin, I think it’s broken.”

“Do you know how to mend bones?” said Mary anxiously.

“No, but what good would that do? We can’t use magic.”

“I think this could be classed as an emergency, Lily,” said Mary grimly. “I’d try something but if I get it wrong, it’ll end up worse. Blast, where’s a Healer when you need one?”

They helped Lily up and carried her back to the main path.

“We’ll have to get you back to the town and find a hospital,” said Mary.

“My dad would splint this first,” Lily said through gritted teeth.

It started to rain again: not the light drizzle they’d been walking in, but sheets of rain that pounded into them. Through all this, Lily thought she could hear a voice. She looked over her shoulder; someone was approaching them “ fast. As the figure came nearer, she sighed in relief.

“Did someone send for the Cavalry?” Rich said as he stood before them.

Mary looked annoyed at his flippant tone, but must have decided that now was not the right time to argue.

“We think that Lily’s broken her ankle, and we need to find a Healer.”

“Doctor,” corrected Lily.

Rich bent down, gently removed her shoe and sock, and examined the ankle. Then he lifted her into his arms. “I think your friend was right the first time - a Healer would be better.”

Even though the pain of her ankle was excruciating, one thing was clear. “Good Godric,” said Lily. “You’re a wizard.”

“At your service, ma’am. Unfortunately, I’m not a Healer,” he replied.

“Can you get me to a hospital, then?” Lily asked faintly.

“I said I wasn’t a Healer, but I know where to find one. Excuse me, miss,”“ Lily wasn’t sure if he was addressing Mary or Martha “ “if you reach into my back pocket, you’ll find my guide.”

Martha found it. It was the same one he’d been reading in the cafe, but instead of saying ‘A Guide to Britain’, it now read ‘A Wizard’s Guide to Britain.’ He walked a bit further along the path until he found a tree they could shelter under, and then he took the book from Martha. Reaching inside his jacket, he pulled out his wand. Tapping the guide and muttering something under his breath, he studied the pages carefully.

“Okay,” he said, squinting at the page that had opened up before him. “There’s a Healer living in a nearby village “ we’ll head for there.”

“How far?” gasped Martha, who was flagging in the wind and rain.

“About five miles,” he replied.

“You can’t carry me for five miles,” gasped Lily. “And they won’t walk that far in this weather.”

“Lily, I could carry you twice that distance,” he said, turning his megawatt smile on her. “But it may take too long. Listen, girls, let’s get back to my hotel - it’s about half a mile away and not exactly busy, so you can book a room while I take Lily to the Healer in a Muggle taxi-cab.”

“We’ll all go to the Healer,” said Mary decisively.

Rich chuckled. “Very sensible, Miss Macdonald. Who knows what danger Lily could tempt me into?”

As Rich had said, the gloomy looking hotel was barely half full. They managed to get a room for all three where they could spend at least one night. Mary took charge of paying, but stumbled over the Muggle money.

“Lily, help,” she said despairingly. “What do I pay with?”

Lily sighed and sorted the notes out for her. “I’m Muggle-born,” she explained to Rich, who was watching.

“Hey, same here,” he murmured.

Lily had very little memory after that. Rich had gone to his room and returned with a lotion that he very gently massaged into her ankle. The pain started disappearing and warmth spread through her body. She was oblivious to everything except their voices. Rich’s voice was softly caressing. She remembered that the Healer, a kind looking witch, had given her a potion whilst she cast her spell and mended the bones.

“Shame it wasn’t fixed straight away. It may ache for a while, dearie. Drink up “ it will help.”

The potion made her drowsy. It was impossible to keep her eyes open and, although she would have liked to gaze at Rich for longer, she slept.

When Lily woke it was night time. She was in her hotel room with Mary next to her and Martha in a camp bed. Her ankle ached as she carefully walked to the window. In the moonlight, she could see the purple bruising, and began to wonder if Rich was sleeping. At the thought of him, she felt suddenly light-headed.

“Lily Evans,” she told herself sternly. “You can’t possibly be in love with the man, however gorgeous, however chivalrous. You barely know him. It’s impossible!”

She returned to bed, but was unable to sleep. After what seemed like an eternity, Mary and Martha woke up. She chivvied them to get up and get some breakfast; Mary gave her a far too knowing look as she scolded them. Rich wasn’t at breakfast, so Lily dawdled over her toast and lumpy porridge in the hope that he’d appear, but he never showed. They returned to their room to pack up.

“Shall we end this whole trip now?” said Mary. “I’m not sure your ankle will stand up to much more walking.”

“I think you’re right, but I’m sure we were close. Brackenfen is such a gloomy place “ I’m sure it was Slythy Fen. Maybe that rabbit hole was a trap set by Salazar himself,” said Lily grumpily.

Martha giggled. “That’s very superstitious of you.”

“Well, it was the Muggle-born that got injured,” said Lily, smiling in spite of the gloom she was feeling.

“Perhaps if we’d entered further, he’d have got us “ the half bloods?” suggested Mary.

As they left the hotel, the receptionist called them back.

“Is one of you three Lily Evans?” she said.

“Uh huh. That’s me,” replied Lily.

The receptionist handed her a letter. Lily ripped it open eagerly “ only one person knew where they were staying!

“It’s from Rich,” she gasped.

Lovely Lily-Lily, he wrote, although with your eyes and hair perhaps it should be ‘Tiger Lily.

I’m sorry to leave so soon before I’ve had a chance to get to know you. However, I’m sure we’ll meet again real soon.

Take care of that ankle. I’m not sure when the Cavalry will get to you again.

Yours truly,
Rich
X


Buoyed up with the hope that she’d see him again, Lily remained happy all the way back to London. Once there, she escorted Martha and Mary to the Ministry where their father worked, then she took a train home. Once alone, she pulled the letter out of her pocket and memorised the contents. ‘Tiger-Lily!’ It wasn’t an original name. It was what her friends called her when she went into a rage “ usually against the Marauders “ but from him it sounded glamorous and exotic. He said he’d see her again “ but when?

***


A week before the new term started, Lily went to Diagon Alley to buy her new books. Mary said she was meeting Remus, so Lily agreed to meet her at Florean Fortescues, and then disappear when he arrived. That suited her; she wasn’t sure she could bear to be around couples at the moment. Her sister, Petunia, had a new boyfriend called Vernon. They spent a lot of time in the house holding hands. Lily was sure this was because Vernon was too mean to take her sister out, but she bit her tongue, not wishing to upset Petunia any more than she usually did. In her pocket, she carried Rich’s letter, although she knew it off by heart, and now the paper along the folds was wearing thin where she’d repeatedly unfolded it. Rich had said they’d meet again; Lily wondered whether Diagon Alley was the place.

She scanned The Leaky Cauldron, Flourish and Blotts, and the Apothecary but she saw no sign of him. So she meandered disconsolately towards the ice cream cafe and waited for her friend. Mary turned up late, full of apologies, clutching all of her text books. She had decided to buy them first so that she had the afternoon free to spend with Remus, she explained to Lily.

“Have you decided on your N.E.W.T. subjects, then?” asked Lily, who was still debating some of hers.

“Well,” replied Mary, “I had to change my mind when I got my results as I doubt Professor McGonagall will clear me for Transfiguration, and I don’t think Professor Slughorn will take me as I only got Acceptable in Potions. So I’ve decided on Defence against the Dark Arts, Charms, Herbology, Divination, and maybe Care of Magical Creatures. How about you?”

“I’m not sure, but definitely Potions, Arithmancy, Charms, and Herbology. And then I’m also thinking about Transfiguration and Defence. I’d like to do both but I’m sure I only scraped that E...” Lily stopped as she became aware that Mary was no longer paying her any attention. Lily saw Mary’s eyes light up as she looked over her shoulder. Just as Lily suspected, Remus was approaching - with Peter.

“Lily,” whispered Mary, “you have to stay now; he’s brought Peter with him.”

“Don’t you dare, Mary,” hissed Lily. “I do have other things to do.” She tried to get up, but Remus’ voice interrupted her flight.

“Don’t leave on our account, Lily,” he said as he sat down next to Mary. He leant forward to give her a rather hurried and slightly embarrassed kiss on the cheek. But Remus was reckoning without Mary, who cupped his chin in her hands and kissed him full on the lips.

“Yeurch!” Peter said, rolling his eyes.

“Yeurch, indeed,” Lily agreed. “How are you, Peter? Good holiday?”

“So-so,” Peter replied. “I spent most of it with Mum, but did have a week at James’. He told us you’d been there. Hereward’s still going on about your treacle tart.”

Remus pulled away from Mary, a very satisfied grin on his face. “What were you talking about before we got here?” He addressed the question to Lily.

“Nothing exciting,” Lily replied as she finished her ice cream. “Just N.E.W.T.s, and the fact that I still have all my shopping to do.”

“I heard about your results,” said Peter. “Outstanding in Potions; that’s seriously impressive, Lily.”

Lily recognised James’ phrase in Peter’s speech, and for a moment wondered what he’d been saying to Peter and Remus about her.

“What about your results?” she asked him.

“Uh,” Peter faltered, “not bad. Five E’s, Two A’s, and a couple of Poors.”

Briefly, Lily wondered what it must be like to be the one in the group who never quite matched up to his friends; never quite as good looking, never quite as good at Quidditch, and never quite as clever. She realised that she’d never paid Peter much attention. He was far less noticeable than Potter and Sirius. Sonia, she remembered, had scornfully turned him down when he’d asked her out. At the time, Lily had thought him mad for Sonia was by far the best looking girl in Hogwarts. Perhaps he was braver than she realised. Poor Peter, she thought, and then realised that pity was far worse than ignoring him. Impulsively, she turned to him.

“Peter, my parents gave me some money so I could buy an owl. Would you help me choose one? I know nothing about owls.”

Peter stood up, obviously pleased to be asked, but saw Mary mouthing ‘Thank you’ to Lily.

“S’okay,” he muttered. “I’ve got things to buy myself.”

Lily correctly interpreted his reluctance, and touched his arm. “I do mean it, Peter. I really know nothing about owls. Please come with me.”

They entered the Owl Emporium together. Peter, she was pleased to see, did know a lot about owls and asked the shop owner lots of questions on her behalf. She studied the birds. One in particular, with golden eyes that seemed to follow her as she perused the room, caught her attention.

“Peter,” Lily said. “How about this one?”

Peter walked over to the owl and nodded. “You know how Mr Ollivander says ‘The wand chooses the wizard’? Well, I think the same is true of pets. That owl is determined to have you, Lily.”

Lily needed no further advice, she paid for the owl and together they walked out of the shop.

“You need a name now,” Peter said as he fed the little owl a nut.

“Mmm,” replied Lily, who was looking at the owl’s eyes and thinking they reminded her of something.

“You know what,” Peter said excitedly. “That owl’s eyes are exactly the same colour as a Snitch.”

The owl flapped its wings and hooted.

“Oh, well done, Peter,” said Mary, who was standing with her arm around Remus just behind them. “You’ve just named Lily’s owl after a sport she hates.”

Lily looked at the owl. His eyes really were the same colour as a Snitch.

“I thought you’d converted her?” Remus said to Mary, squeezing her around the waist.

“She tried,” replied Lily as she carried on looking at her owl. He winked at her and hooted again. “Okay,” she said, with resignation in her voice, “Snitch it is.”

After lunch, Lily finished her shopping in Flourish and Blotts, and then took the train home. Some passengers looked askance at the little owl in the cage and one muttered words like ‘cruelty’ in Lily’s earshot. Lily looked down at Snitch, who appeared to be holding his wing in an awkward position. She grinned, and explained to the complaining lady that she would be releasing this particular owl as soon as its wing was fully healed. Thus mollified, the lady began to feed Snitch grapes from a paper bag.

“You,” Lily whispered to Snitch, “are a very sneaky, but very clever owl. You knew she had grapes in that bag, didn’t you?”

Walking from the station to her home, Lily decided to walk through the fields. Across the furthest field was Sev’s house. She had heard from village gossip that Tobias Snape had walked out, leaving Sev alone with his mother. She wondered if things were better for him now. Snitch hooted softly. Sev would hate his name, she thought.

After dumping her stuff in her room, and carefully avoiding Petunia and Vernon, Lily went into the garden to release Snitch. She watched him spiral higher and higher, hooting happily. She laughed and followed him out of the garden and through the field. Concentrating on Snitch, Lily didn’t realise where she’d walked to until she found herself in the glade by the river. She turned to leave but a voice stopped her.

“Lily,” Severus exclaimed. He sounded guilty, alarmed, as if her presence here were intrusive. “I-I didn’t think you’d ever come here again. I’ve been here every day, waiting. I’d given up.”

“I’ll go,” she muttered awkwardly. “Snitch, back to the house now.” The owl hooted and flew down to her shoulder.

Severus glared at the owl. “Snitch!” he said scornfully, and for a moment she could see black fire in his eyes. “Potter’s reeled you in, I see.”

“No!” Lily declared, hating the fact that she sounded so defensive. “It was Peter’s idea, actually. Anyway, what does it have to do with you?”

“Nothing,” he retorted. “Just leave, Lily.”

She turned, but there was something about the way he was standing, as though he was shielding something, that made her stop.

“What are you doing?” she asked suspiciously.

“Nothing,” Severus repeated.

She peered behind him. In the gloom, she thought she could see a broomstick. She darted around him. It was a broomstick, and, as she picked it up, she could clearly see some dates carved into the handle. She looked at him in horror. “Sev, what have you done?”

“I don’t know what you mean?”

“This is James Potter’s broom. He lost it when he fell into the lake. Why have you got his broom?” she asked.

He looked at her, his eyes glittering strangely.

“Don’t lie to me,” Lily said warningly.

The fire went out of his eyes. “I guessed they were trying to do the Bowtruckle Challenge, so I told Mulciber and Avery. We watched as they as they approached the tree, and Potter started to fly. Then Avery hexed Potter and I summoned the broom.” He paused and then looked at her, half entreating, half defiant. “It was a joke, Lily, to stop them getting the points back.”

“But you watched him fall in, Sev, and you did nothing.” Lily’s voice was barely a whisper, but Snape appeared to catch every word.

“I didn’t know he couldn’t swim,” Severus pleaded.

“You didn’t do anything to help,” she retorted.

“We thought he had his wand. And then you turned up and pulled him out. What good would our help have been?”

“He nearly died!” exclaimed Lily, raising her voice. “If you’d called out, we could have got him out sooner.”

“You saved him,” Severus spat bitterly. “Despite everything you say about him, you rushed into that lake, without any hesitation, and dragged him out.”

“You think I should have let him drown because I dislike him? Good God, Sev, that’s sick!”

“No,” he whispered. “I know you could never let someone struggle, however much you disliked them.” He took a step towards her one hand outstretched. “Lily, please,” he implored. “Can’t we be friends again, like we used to be? I’ve missed you so much this summer.”

I’ve missed you too, she thought, and for a moment she considered saying yes. But the ‘Mudblood’ insult still hung in the air between them, and the memory of their first Charms lesson sprang into her mind. She shook her head. “It’s too late,” she replied sadly. “I’m sorry, Sev, but too much has happened now.”

She turned her back on him and began to walk away, but then remembered the broom. She took a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself. “Why did you take his broom?”

Snape cursed under his breath and looked at the broom in her hand. “Mulciber had some idea about hexing it, so I Transfigured it into a branch and brought it home. Potter’s got it well protected though.”

“But if you’d hexed it and he’d fallen during a match, he could have been badly injured “ or killed, even.” Lily could not believe this made sense to him; this was not her childhood friend.

“They tried to kill me, remember, at the Shrieking Shack,” he shouted defensively.

“James saved you!” Lily protested.

“And they tampered with my wand, just before my exam,” he argued.

“Remus swears they didn’t, Sev,” replied Lily, trying to remain calm.

“I got nine Outstandings, Lily, but Exceeds Expectations for Transfiguration,” he said forcefully. “Explain that.”

“Has it ever occurred to you that James could be better than you at something?”

He drew his breath in sharply. “I notice you call him James now instead of Potter.”

“Oh, shut up,” Lily replied angrily. “What does it matter to you what I call him?”

She took several steps away from him.

“Are you going to tell him?” he demanded.

Lily considered. She had to get the broom back to James, but how could she do this without causing even more ill-feeling?

“No, I won’t tell James.” She used his name as a weapon. “But, I’ll have to tell Professor McGonagall.”

“Lily, please,” protested Severus.

“I won’t tell on you, but she’ll want to know how I got hold of the broom. You’ll have to talk to her eventually.” She paused. “You’ve been coming here every day, you said. Did you always bring the broom?”

Severus nodded.

Lily smiled a touch sadly. “You wanted me to find out, didn’t you, Sev?”

He looked at her but said nothing.

“You know it’s wrong, don’t you? You must tell Professor McGonagall. She’s fair, Sev. She’ll hear you out,” she said in a soft voice, trying to convince him of the right course. She held out the broom. “You could return this yourself.”

“I can’t go to McGonagall; she’ll get us expelled,” Severus cried. “Mulciber would be furious.”

“And you care more for his opinion than mine,” Lily replied coldly. “I never thought you were a coward, Snape.

She could hear him calling her name again and again as she ran home, but she did not turn back.
End Notes:
Despite myself, I feel a bit sorry for Snape and that's saying something - believe me. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, Please leave a review. Concrit or gushing praise - it's all appreciated.
Chapter 9 Journeys to King's Cross by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Following the summer holiday, the Marauders make their way to King's Cross for the start of the new year. With very different backgrounds, it's no wonder their journeys are so different.

Thank you very much to Terri (mudbloodproud) and Cassie (ms. leading) for beta'ing this chapter.
The letter to Professor McGonagall took Lily the rest of the evening. She had no wish for Sev to be expelled but it was hard to explain, without telling all, how she came to be in possession of James’ broom. In the end, she settled for a bald little note telling her Head of House that she had the broom, but was unwilling to land anyone in trouble because she was hoping they’d confess in person.

Adding a small postscript about her owl being too small to carry the broom, she tied the missive to Snitch’s leg and spoke softly to him, “I have your first message, Snitch and it’s an important one. It’s for Professor McGonagall at Hogwarts. Do you know who I mean?”

Snitch clicked his beak and, without a backward glance, set off. Lily did not expect him back soon, but left her window open just in case he returned before morning. At around three in the morning, Lily was roused by a flurry of wings landing on the window. She looked up to see Professor McGonagall’s tawny owl, Metis, watching her. Hastily, Lily got up and took the letter from the bird’s leg.

Miss Evans, she read.

Thank you very much for your information. I gather from your letter that James’ accident was indeed no accident, which was rather what Professor Dumbledore and I suspected. My owl will be able to carry the broom to me and then I shall inform Mr Potter that we have recovered his ‘pride and joy’.

I will not press you at this time to reveal the names of the perpetrators, but I may have to ask you again if they do not come forward.

My regards,

Professor McGonagall.


Reaching under her bed, Lily brought out the broom and handed it to the owl. Clutching it in her talons, Metis flew off once more into the night. Lily watched as her pale tail feathers flashed in the moonlight. Suddenly, she was reminded of Rich’s dazzling smile and wondered for the hundredth time if she’d ever see him again.

***


On the first of September, James and Sirius were sitting at the breakfast table working their way through one of Sukey the house-elf’s amazing breakfasts. Sirius helped himself to more bacon and, using a slice of bread, mopped up the egg from the side of his plate.

“Prongs, how about,” he said as he finished his mouthful, “we get to King’s Cross ourselves this year?”

“Why?”

“Could be fun? We could pretend to be Muggle-borns,” he replied, swiping the last piece of sausage from James’ plate.

“Oy! I was saving that for last, you git,” James protested.

Sirius stuck his tongue out to reveal the chewed sausage on his tongue. “D’you want it back?” he asked, avoiding James’ punch. He swallowed the sausage. “Seriously, Prongs. Why don’t we get to King’s Cross ourselves? Give your mum a chance to rest.”

“Mum, rest? That’ll be a first.” He chewed on the last piece of toast. “Why are you so obsessed with Muggle stuff at the moment, Padfoot?”

Sirius scraped his plate clean and then pushed it away from him. “This will be the first year I haven’t had to go with my parents to King’s Cross, so I want to do something different. First of September at Grimmauld Place was planned like a military operation. Reg and I had to be up, washed, and packed before eight. Then we’d all sit down to have a family breakfast which consisted of Mum extolling the virtues of Slytherin, and cursing the fact that I was ever born to shame her by being a Gryffindor. Then Dad would wade in and tell us exactly what he expected of us in the coming year. For me it was always strictures on behaviour and never a word about my work. For Regulus, it was ‘work hard and stop messing about with Quidditch’.” Sirius paused. “And both of us just sat there and took it, year after year, or else we’d get a stinging jinx to the ear. Poor Reg, he’s probably getting double the attention.”

James watched as his friend shivered involuntarily. “Why did you leave? I mean, you’ve talked about it for ages, but I thought you were going to wait until you were seventeen.”

Sirius grimaced. “I got drunk with a Muggle girl in the park. Fantastic bird; fed me lager, gave me a cigarette, and snogged my face off. Then,” he paused and smiled ruefully, “she stole my radio and the rest of my Muggle money. I got home to find my mum had opened my O.W.L. results before I’d had a chance to undertake our usual switch.” He looked at James who nodded. “I could have handled her fury at the results. I even think I could have talked my way out of the whole Muggle Studies thing, but she smelt the drink and smoke on me and began to rip into Remus and Peter.

“She’s never been that angry, Prongs. I’d never seen her like that. She looked totally crazed and I suddenly thought ‘this is it’. I couldn’t stay in that house, hearing her poison every day. So I left,” he finished. “You don’t mind, do you?”

“Merlin no,” exclaimed James. “I wish you’d moved in at the end of our first year. Dad would have loved it, for one thing.”

“Do you think it’s too much for your mum, though?” Sirius asked slowly.

James laughed. “Don’t be daft. Mum loves having you here.”

Sirius looked at James intently but didn’t say anything else. There was a pause as James slurped down the rest of his tea. “What’s your plan then, Padfoot?”

“Huh?”

“How are we getting to King’s Cross?”

Sirius chuckled. “I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist.” He put his hand in his back pocket and fished out a booklet. “Muggle train timetable,” he said as he unfolded it. “We can get a train from Godric’s Hollow into London.” He pointed to St Pancras station. “And then we can walk to King’s Cross “ it’s only over a road or two.”

“What, with our trunks? They’re heavy, and we can hardly levitate them through London, even if we were seventeen.”

“Details, mere details, Prongs,” said Sirius, waving away James’ objections. “We’ll find a trolley or something. Come on, weakling, you should be able to manage a trunk across a street or two.” He stopped as he heard the sound of someone coming down the stairs. A moment later, Hereward entered the kitchen wearing pyjamas and a dressing gown.

“You’re both up remarkable early,” he said in a surprised tone. “We don’t have to Apparate for another two hours at least.”

“Change of plan, Dad,” James answered. “Sirius wants to continue living the Muggle dream so we’re going to get the train from Godric’s Hollow to ...um... what’s it called...? St Pancreas or something?”

“Pancras,” muttered Sirius. “ Not pancreas, you dolt! The train to St Pancras, and then we’ll walk to King’s Cross.”

Hereward smiled at them, in a vaguely distracted way, and sat down at the table. He poured himself a cup of tea. “Mmm, not a bad idea. It would be hard for me to Apparate with both of you and I’m not sure your mother’s quite up to the trip this year, James.”

Sirius looked straight at Hereward as he said this and then at James,who was pouring himself more tea. “Is Hally all right?” he asked finally, as it seemed James was not going to say anything.

“Bit under the weather, Sirius, that’s all,” Hereward replied. He glanced at the clock above the fireplace. “You’ll need to get moving. James, take this cup of tea up to your mother and say goodbye.”

“Sure,” replied James.Taking a fresh cup of tea, he walked out. When Sirius heard him reach the top of the steps, he turned to Hereward.

“Is Hally ill?” he asked quietly, with one eye on the door.

Hereward smiled again. “She’ll be better soon, Sirius. She just needs to rest. Now, you need to get a move on. Why don’t you go upstairs and drag your trunks into the hall. If you’d like, I could cast a lightening charm on them both. That way they won’t be quite so heavy.”

“That would be fantastic,” enthused Sirius. He grinned across at the older man. “How about you just do mine and let your son carry the full weight?”

“Sirius Black, do you think I would ever be a party to something so sneaky?” Hereward said in mock outrage.

“Actually, Hereward, I’m surprised you didn’t suggest it,” replied Sirius.

***


Remus was lying in his bed listening to the sounds outside his bedroom. It was calming, at first, to hear the sound of birdsong when he came home, but eight weeks and two transformations later, he was longing to get back to Hogwarts. He was even looking forward to Sirius waking him up every morning by singing loudly in his ear, or squashing a wet flannel down his pyjama top.

The door opened and his mum bustled into the room, carrying a pile of freshly laundered robes and some T shirts.

“Aren’t you up yet, sleepyhead? Your dad had breakfast ages ago; he’s muttering about taking the Floo a bit earlier this year.”

“Why,” yawned Remus. He got up and took the robes from her and placed them neatly in his open trunk.

“He needs to be at the office earlier than he thought, as there’s a crisis in the Magical Records department, or something. She stopped talking and held out another pile of clothes. “Anyway, I bought you some new T shirts, love. You seem to have lost quite a lot,” she said, grumbling slightly.

“That’s the others, Mum. They love your taste in clothes. You know what Sirius is like around Muggle things,” Remus replied. “Thanks for doing all this. I know it’s hard for you not being able to do things with magic or how normal Muggles do laundry.”

His mum laughed. “I went to the launderette this year. With your dad stuck at the Ministry, and you not able to do magic yet, there was no way I was going to get all these done by hand.”

Remus reached over and hugged her. “Thanks anyway. I’ll try and keep this batch of shirts out of Sirius’ grasp. Perhaps I could charm them or something?” He pondered the thought and wondered if he could turn Sirius’ hair green if he touched his stuff.

“REMUS!” shouted his Dad from downstairs. “Breakfast, step to it!”

Releasing his Mum, Remus hurriedly pulled on his dressing gown and bounded down the stairs. He sat down next to his dad and began tucking into toast spread thick with marmalade.

“Why do we need to go so early, Dad?” he said, after he’d munched two halves of toast.

“I need to be in work earlier this year. Jeremy Flaxen hasn’t been in for a week and I’m piled high with work,” replied his dad, slightly sternly.

“Where is he, then?” asked Remus. He’d vaguely known Jeremy from school, although the Hufflepuff boy had been three years his senior, and had met him again last Christmas at one of the Ministry functions. They’d discovered a mutual liking forMartin Miggs comics despite being too old for such childish nonsense!

“We don’t know, Remus. He went on holiday and was due back last Monday but hasn’t bothered to turn up. Fool of a boy! He won’t have a job to come back to if he proves unreliable. Anyway, I need to be in earlier, so we’ll take the Floo to the Ministry and then I’ll walk you to King’s Cross.”

His dad didn’t ask Remus’ opinion, but Remus was used to that and just nodded. “I could go by myself, if you want. I was going to meet up with someone anyway.” Remus flushed slightly; his dad didn’t notice but his mum, who’d just walked in, looked at him curiously.

“Who?” she asked.

“Oh... um... just a girl I know from school.”

He cast a furtive glance at his mum. She’d frozen and for a moment he caught a look of horror on her face. Aware of his scrutiny, she looked away. She took a deep breath and sat down next to him.

“Remus, do you have a girlfriend?” she began, her voice sounding shaky.

“Sort of,” he mumbled, horribly embarrassed at the thought of his mum lecturing him on the ‘diricawls and the doxies’.

“Is that wise?” interjected his dad.

“Wh-what do you mean?” stuttered Remus, although it was dawning on him just why his mother had looked so horrified.

“Given your condition, Remus,” continued his dad. “I hardly think you should be thinking about girls.”

Remus reddened again, but it wasn’t just embarrassment; he was starting to get angry. He opened his mouth to speak, to rage against the unfairness of bloody everything, when a hand on his arm stopped him. He looked at his mum. She raised her hand and ruffled his hair.

“Does she know about you?” she asked softly. He shook his head and looked down at his hands. “Remus, my darling boy, she needs to know.”

“Not yet,” he mumbled. “I don’t want to spoil things. I just want to feel normal for a while.”

***

Peter was scrambling under his bed, looking for a shoe, when his mum walked in. “Aren’t you packed yet, Petey?” she asked, sighing. “I don’t know why you won’t let me do it. I could have done it in half the time.”

“Got it!” he exclaimed, as he pulled out his shoe and threw it in the trunk. “What were you saying, Mum?”

Peter sighed as he saw his mum itching to use her wand on his haphazard packing. “Mum, for Merlin’s sake, it doesn’t matter. However many times you refold stuff, it gets screwed up on the journey. Stop fussing, please!” he implored her.

But it was too late; his mum had started re-arranging his trunk. “Books need to be on the bottom, Petey, you know that. And, are you sure you want to take Defence against the Dark Arts at Newt level, dear? It’s awfully hard.”

Peter gritted his teeth and tried not to feel irritated by her well-meaning questions. “Just let me worry about subject choices, Mum. I’m good at Defence and anyway the others will be doing it so...” He trailed off as he caught the look in his mum’s eye.

“You don’t have to do things just because your friends are, Peter,” she said, and pursed her lips. “You had a good Care of Magical Creatures result, yet I don’t see any text books for that in here.”

“I’ll think about it, all right,” he muttered irritably.

His mum wasn’t listening, he could see that. Instead she was pulling out some robes. “I think you should get ready now, Petey.”

“Why? What’s the point in me putting robes on to travel through London? They’ll only get dirty,” he asked truculently.

“We’re not going through London, dear. Mr Crouch has kindly said that we can share their Portkey,” she said proudly.

“Mum! I am not going with Barty Crouch. He’s a Slytherin “ the others will never forgive me,” Peter moaned. He knew his mum was only doing her best, but it was bad enough that she worked for Mr Crouch “ let alone accepted favours from him.

“Don’t be silly, Petey. It’s all been arranged now. So let me finish your packing while you change.”

She turned back to his trunk. Peter sulkily pulled the robes over his head and stomped off downstairs to wait for her. Truth be told, he was quite looking forward to arriving by Portkey. It would certainly beat travelling by Floo. And Barty wasn’t reallythat bad, he supposed, for a Slytherin.

After Levitating his trunk down the stairs, Peter and his mum set off for the Crouch residence. They lived about a mile away in a far grander house than Peter’s mum’s bungalow. Peter stared at it enviously; the iron gates surrounding it deterred “ not only Muggles “ but any wizards deemed unfit to enter the Crouch residence. His mother stopped at the entrance and muttered something. At once, the gates swung open and they walked up the long path. Peter saw two people standing on the front lawn. He recognised the taller of the two as Barty and nodded to him. Barty scowled, but the witch smiled as they approached.

“Janet,” she cried. “How lovely to see you again. And this must be Peter. My, Peter, haven’t you grown. Just like Barty. I don’t know what happens to them over the holidays, do you? It’s as though they’ve both been hexed by a couple of stretching jinxes.”

“Is Mr Crouch not joining us?” asked Peter’s mum as she looked around for him.

Barty shrugged his shoulders and said nothing. Mrs Crouch smiled again, just a little too brightly. “No, I’m afraid poor Bartemius has been called into the office early again. Of course he wanted to see Barty off, but this was urgent.”

“Oh,” said Mrs Pettigrew. “Hmm, I wonder if I’m needed. Perhaps I should go in today.”

“Yeah,’ cause they really need tea ladies urgently, don’t they, Peter?” muttered Barty nastily.

Peter gripped his wand tightly. The urge to hex this smug, spoilt rich boy was almost overwhelming. What did he know?he thought savagely. What do any of these jerks know what it’s like to be poor and fatherless? He placed a hand on his mother’s arm. “Mum, they’ll be fine without you. Just come to the station with me, please and then you can call in at the Ministry when the train’s gone.”

Mrs Pettigrew smiled warmly at her son. “I wouldn’t miss taking you to King’s Cross, Petey, you know that.”

The Portkey began to glow. They all held out their hands. Just before he touched it, Peter looked into Barty’s eyes. A strange expression had crossed his face. It’s almost like envy, Peter thought. Then he forgot about it as his body suddenly jerked forwards. He felt a spinning sensation in his naval and thought he was going to be sick. Suddenly, he landed with a thump on the cold hard floor of Platform nine-and-three-quarters.

“Hello, Peter,” said a voice from above him. He squinted in the direction of the voice but couldn’t quite make out the features of the face. His head was still spinning, but he recognised the red hair.

“Hi, Lily,” he replied, as he stood up and began brushing his robes down. He wobbled and she put out an arm to steady him. His mum was effusively thanking Mrs Crouch who was patting at Barty’s robes.

“Wow! A Portkey, that’s cool,” she said, sounding impressed.

“Yeah,” he replied, grinning. “My mum knows the Crouchs. It was fun but a bit odd. Anyone else here yet?”

“Sonia’s just arrived. She’s over there moaning about Julius Bennet who she’s not going out with anymore. Mary and Martha are on their way and I don’t know about Phyllida.”

“I meant James, Sirius and Remus,” Peter said, laughing.

“Oh, well, I wouldn’t really be looking out for them, would I?” replied Lily. “Mind you as Potter always manages to make an entrance I suppose he’s not here because I would have noticed him.”

Peter noticed that she seemed a bit flustered when talking about James and wasn’t quite as scornful as she usually was. He smiled slightly; perhaps Prongs would catch her this year?
***

At the Ministry, Mr Lupin settled himself at his desk and began to sort through a large pile of unopened documents. Remus sat in a chair in the corner of the room and pulled out one of his books. It would soon be time to leave, and he hoped his dad would let him make his own way there.

“What’s this, John?” asked a man in the doorway. “Are you trying to recruit young Remus into your department?”

“Fraser, good to see you!” replied John Lupin, standing up to shake hands. He looked across at his son. “Hmm, joining this department, we’ll see, won’t we, Remus.”

Remus nodded and then saw the two figures standing behind his dad’s friend.

“Hi, Remus,” said Martha, smirking slightly. “Nice to see you again. Mary was just talking about you.”

Mary glared at her sister and squeezed past her dad to approach Remus. He backed away slightly and almost imperceptively shook his head. Mary looked puzzled but she stayed where she was. He saw his dad watching him and hurriedly looked away.

“I think we should be going, Dad,” Remus said. “Although, I could easily go by myself if you’re busy.”

“Nonsense,” declared Fraser Macdonald. “Remus can come with us if you’re busy.”

Remus saw his dad look from his son to Mary, and then back to the pile of paperwork on his desk. He sighed. “That would be great, Fraser. Since the Flaxen boy left so abruptly, I haven’t had a chance to get any of my own work done.” He turned to his son and held out his hand. “Have a good year, Remus. Work hard and remember what we talked about.”

Remus nodded dully and shook his dad’s hand. At the last minute, his dad reached over and hugged him. “I’m sorry about all this, Remus, but we do know best,” he whispered in Remus’ ear.

“Yeah, I know,” Remus whispered back. He could feel a wave of emotion ripple through him. His dad was so rarely affectionate.

He walked the half mile to King’s Cross with the Macdonalds, in near silence, until they approached the barrier.

“Right, you three,” said Mr Macdonald. “I’ll leave you to get through the barrier by yourself. Have a good term and think about Christmas. We’d love to have you home this year.”

“We’ll see, Dad. I don’t know what Lily’s doing yet, she may have to stay as she’s a prefect. What are you doing, Remus?” Mary asked him guilelessly.

There’s a full moon over the Christmas holiday, he thought. I’d sooner be at Hogwarts for that. “I don’t know yet. Probably staying.”

Mr Macdonald turned to his younger daughter. “Martha, work hard. It’s your O.W.L. year and we want some good results, yes?” Martha nodded dutifully. “But, have some fun too. And make sure you catch that Snitch!”

Martha beamed up at her dad. “I’ll do my best, Dad,” she replied.

“You too, Mary, see if you can get back on the team.” He turned to Remus. “You don’t play, Remus?”

“No, I leave all that to James Potter and your daughters, Mr Macdonald. I have commentated once or twice, though.”

Mr Macdonald gave his daughters a last quick hug, shook Remus’ hand and then walked away. As soon as he was out of sight, Mary put her arm round Remus waist and kissed him on the cheek. Mindful of his parents’ words, he started to move away but Merlin, it felt good to have her close. He squeezed her back and kissed her fully on the lips.

“Urghh!” exclaimed Martha. “Give it a rest. Come on, let’s get to the platform.”

***


“This was all your stupid idea, Padfoot. Why the hell did I listen to you?”

“Oh, stop moaning. We’re fine. They won’t go without us,” replied Sirius with confidence.

The two boys raced across the concourse of King’s Cross station. The Lightening Charm that Hereward had cast was beginning to wear off now. So Sirius grabbed a trolley and began to load his trunk. He pulled at his friend’s arm, and James put his trunk on top.

“Now, run like crazy, Prongs. We’ve got about fifteen minutes.”

Despite his earlier annoyance James began to laugh as they hurtled through the crowds. “I can see the barrier,” he yelled. He looked around; for once the platform seemed devoid of Muggles, so he sped up.

Sirius let go of the trolley and began clambering on top of the trunks. Pulling out a large Gryffindor flag, he fashioned himself a cloak and stood up. “Come on, Prongs!” he ordered.

“How come you get to look cool and I end up being your lackey?” James complained, but he carried on pushing. They burst through the barrier at five to eleven. Sirius began to howl and James joined in. He lifted his feet off the ground and let the trolley carry them to the side of the train. Immediately, they were surrounded by purple cloaked wizards and witches. James recognised one of them as Frank Longbottom.

“Bloody hell, what a welcoming committee!” Sirius said, laughing. “Hi, Frank. You coming back to Hogwarts this year?”

“Don’t be daft, Padfoot,” James said. “He must be here to exchange a last lingering kiss with Alice, eh, Frank, my man?”

“I know these two,” Frank assured the tall and rather grizzled man standing next to him. “They’re both sixth year Gryffindor students, Alastor.”

The wizard called Alastor grunted something under his breath.

“Wow! What was that about? ” asked James, as the other wizards walked away.

“Oh, the usual,” replied Frank. He sounded casual, but James and Sirius could tell how proud he was to be a trainee Auror. “Reports of Death Eater activity.”

“They wouldn’t attack the Hogwarts Express, would they?” James asked in disbelief.

“Not with us around,” agreed Frank. “But we cast some Muggle-repelling Charms around the area just in case.”

Sirius looked at the crowd below him; his eyes flicking from group to group until he found the people he was looking for. His father hadn’t deigned to come this year, he noticed. It was left to his mother, Walburga, to deliver all the last minute instructions and lectures to Regulus. His brother looked the same as ever, perhaps a bit thinner, and a bit less cowed, but it was still the same Regulus assenting to his mother’s demands.

“Hi, Ma,” Sirius yelled. “I got my results through. Outstanding in Muggle Studies! Doesn’t that just make you feel so proud?” He watched as Walburga turned decisively away from him and Apparated away, leaving Regulus alone on the platform. He raised his hand to his brother, but Regulus looked away. Shrugging, Sirius jumped off the trolley and landed among his friends.

“That boy will get himself into serious trouble one of these days,” muttered James.

“You two are always in trouble, Potter?” James turned his head to see Lily standing alongside him. She looked different and then he realised it was because she wasn’t frowning at him.

“Oh, hi,” he said. “Err, have a good holiday?” He cursed himself for not thinking of something more original to say, but she smiled at him.

“Yes, it was great... ” Whatever she was about to say next was lost as Remus approached with a sheet in his hand.

“Lily, we’ve got the first shift on the train. Have you stowed your trunk yet?”

She nodded. “I just need someone to look after my owl and then I’m ready,” she replied.

James looked at the small owl in her cage and was about to offer to take it, when Peter interrupted. “I’ll take care of Snitch for you, Lily,” he said.

“Snitch?” James questioned. “You’ve called your owl, Snitch. Merlin, Evans, don’t tell me you’re starting to warm to Quidditch.”

“Perhaps,” Lily replied with a half smile.

“Just not Quidditch players, eh, Lily?” joined in Sirius. “Talking of Quidditch players, where’s my favourite Seeker?”

“On the train, I think. Don’t worry, Sirius, I doubt she missed your grand entrance,” Lily replied witheringly.

Sirius clambered on the train with Peter who was holding Snitch. James held out his hand to Lily. “You getting on, Evans?”

“Mmm,” she replied distractedly. She took his hand. “Yes, I suppose I should. It’s odd though...”

“What’s odd?” James asked as he helped her up the steps.

“I haven’t seen Phyllida at all. I thought she might be with Jacob, but he’s over there by himself. I wonder if he’s waiting for her.” She looked at James. “It’s unlike her to be late. I mean her mum’s really strict about punctuality and everything. Have you ever met her?”

“Err... briefly,” replied James, remembering the one time he’d met Mrs Lacey. It hadn’t been the most auspicious first meeting, as he’d had his hand stuffed down Phyll’s shirt at the time. He looked down, suddenly aware that Lily was still holding onto him. He barely had time to reflect that this was the first time he’d ever held her hand, when Lily noticed what she was doing and hurriedly let go.

“It’s just odd that’s all,” she said shakily.

“Hey, guess what,” said James, anxious to keep the conversation with her going. “McGonagall found my broomstick. It was stuck in the horse chestnut tree all the time.”

“That’s great, James,” Lily replied, hoping he couldn’t see her blushing.

Bloody hell! he thought. Did she just call me James?
End Notes:
Hmmmm, where is the lovely Phyllida, eh? And is Lily really starting to warm towards James?
Chapter 10 Caught in the Crossfire by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
The journey to Hogwarts is usually eventful. How can it not be with underage wizards and witches eager to try out their magic? But this year the problems are coming from the older students and as the feud between Gryffindor and Slytherin threatens to explode - someone gets caught in the crossfire.

Thank you, as ever, to Terri for beta'ing and discussing multiple plot holes.
“My first trip on the Hogwarts Express,” Remus said to Lily as they patrolled the corridors, “I remember being incredibly scared. I don’t think I spoke to anyone until the last hour.”

They stopped while Lily checked on the occupants of a carriage. It was full of rowdy third year boys who stopped when they saw her, but carried on laughing once she’d closed the door. “Who were you in a carriage with?” Lily asked.

“I can’t really remember. I think Phyllida was there and also some girls who were Sorted into Hufflepuff.”

“No boys, then?”

They stopped outside another carriage. Remus peered through the window and saw some girls giggling. One of them, a bold Ravenclaw, winked at him and then blew him a kiss. Lily smiled as Remus turned a very faint shade of pink.

“No, no boys in my carriage and the girls ignored me, so I slept most of the way. Then, about an hour from Hogwarts, another boy came in. He’d been in a carriage with some older boys, but they’d begun bullying him when he couldn’t tell them his blood status “ it was Peter,” Remus explained, sighing.

Lily nodded; she knew Peter’s history. His mum had been widowed when pregnant and so Peter knew next to nothing about his dad. They stopped by the lunch trolley and bought some food. Remus munched on a Cauldron Cake whilst listening to Lily explaining wizard money to a scared-looking Muggle-born. “You’ll love Hogwarts,” she said kindly. The young boy looked up at her, his eyes huge.

“What if they decide I’m no good? I didn’t know I was magic at all until I got a letter.”

Lily crouched down beside him. “I’m Muggle-born too and it doesn’t mean a thing. You can be just as good as any of those from wizarding families.”

“You should listen to her,” said a voice from behind them. James was standing with Remus, grinning. “She got some of the best exam results in our year, and that one,” he pointed to Remus, “did the best of all, whereas I, a pure-blood, did really badly.”

The boy looked up at them all and gulped nervously. Then his face lit up in excitement as he saw James’ badge. “I have read about Quidditch,” he said. “It sounds amazing.”

James laughed. “Reading’s nothing. Just wait till you get on your first broom.” He turned back to Remus and Lily, whilst the boy began to choose some sweets. “Lunch trolley was taking forever so I decided to come and find it. Also, Padfoot has run off to find Martha, and Sonia’s behaving oddly. Be honest, are my jokes funny?”

Remus shrugged. “Not particularly.”

“I thought not. So why does she keep cackling at them? I mean even Wormy told me to shut up,” James complained.

Lily smothered a laugh. “I think she has her eye on you, Potter. Julius found out about the trick her and Phyll played at the end of last year, and he broke up with her.” She paused. “You know, I still haven’t seen Phyll, have you?”

“Maybe she’s ill?” Remus suggested as he finished his cake and brushed the crumbs from his robes.

“Broken-hearted after Jacob dumped her, more like,” retorted James. “You know how she likes to make a drama out of anything.”

“Probably sobbing in an empty carriage somewhere,” agreed Remus. “She’ll emerge soon.”

Lily frowned, only half listening to their debate. “No, she’s still going out with Jacob. He didn’t mind at all, according to Sonia.”

James shrugged and turned back to the lunch trolley. The small boy had just paid and was carefully assessing his sweets. “You should eat that,” said James, pointing to the pumpkin pasty, “whilst it’s still warm. Don’t eat too much, though “ you don’t want to be ill before the feast.”

The boy nodded and scuttled back to his carriage and after buying himself a pasty, James began to walk up the corridor with Remus and Lily. “Must take care of the midgets,” James said, grinning after him. “You never know “ he might be a Gryffindor.”

“Well, the Mudblood won’t be in Slytherin. He’ll be with the other scum like Evans!” They turned to see the imposing figure of Lucan Mulciber, brandishing his wand.

Instantly, James had his wand out and fired a hex at him. Remus dodged a curse sent their way, but Lily, a fraction slower, was sent sprawling to the ground. She looked up to see Mulciber standing with Angus Avery and behind them “ she saw in horror “ were Sev and Regulus.

“Good one, Gus!” whooped Mulciber. “The Mudblood’s...” He didn’t finish his sentence as James let fly another hex, causing boils to erupt on his face. James knelt down to Lily.

“I’m okay,” she muttered, and shook off his hand.

“Stay down. We’ve got it covered,” he ordered her as Remus sent a well-aimed hex at Avery that sent him careering across the floor. “Nice one, Moony!”

But then Snape drew his wand. Lily saw his eyes glittering in his pallid face and knew he was about to strike. “Expelliarmus!” she shouted from the floor. Her aim was true; Snape’s wand flew out of his hand, skidded across the floor and into an open carriage. He turned and scrambled across the corridor to look for it. Students were peering out of their carriages now. Some were scared, others excited at the prospect of a brawl.

Regulus stared around him, at Mulciber clutching his face, Avery getting unsteadily to his feet, and Snape desperately trying to retrieve his wand.

“We’ve no fight with you, Reg,” James said softly. “Go back to your carriage and we will too.”

Regulus glared at him. “Blood traitor!” he whispered. “You have no proper pride.” His wand whipped through the air as he sent a jinx their way.

Caught by surprise, James dodged too late and the jinx caught his shoulder. Regulus turned to Remus, who was distracted by James’ yell, and fired off another spell.

“Protego!” shouted a voice.

Lily turned her head and saw Sirius pounding up the corridor. “Regulus, no!” The brothers faced each other and it was impossible not to spot the likenesses between them. Both tall, although Sirius was perhaps half a head taller, both with shoulder length black hair and both had stormy grey eyes, but Regulus seemed “ Lily wasn’t quite sure “ less open, less confident, less alive than Sirius.

“You would fight your own brother?” said Sirius in disbelief.

“I have no brother. Sirius Black no longer exists,” Regulus replied coldly.

Sirius looked into a stranger’s eyes and raised his wand, but Regulus turned his back on him and walked away.

“Well, well, well. What has been going on here?” declared Professor Slughorn as he appeared in front of them. “Duelling practice? Really, boys, you should wait until you’re in school at least. I hate deducting points this early on.” He glared at the six boys who had disturbed his journey. “And you, Lupin, a prefect as well. I expect better.”

“They attacked us for no reason!” moaned Mulciber as another boil burst on his face.

James and Remus were shaking with anger. Speaking at the same time, they shouted furiously at the Potions Master. “Silence!” he ordered. “It looks as if the Slytherin boys have suffered a surprise attack.” He glanced at the floor, appearing to notice Lily for the first time. “You three are relatively unscathed and Miss Evans seems to have been caught in the crossfire. What am I supposed to think?” He bent down and offered Lily his arm. As she stood up, she began to speak.

“Professor Slughorn, it wasn’t the way Mulciber said.”

Professor Slughorn listened carefully. By far his most favourite pupil, he trusted Lily’s version of events far more than Mulciber’s.

“Mulciber insulted me, so Jam...er... Potter came to my defence. Then he,” she said, pointing at Avery, “hexed me.” She pulled her robe down; they could all see the vicious red welt running across her shoulder.

“Why on earth would you attack Miss Evans?” Slughorn asked the Slytherin boy in horror. Avery licked some blood from his lips but did not reply.

“Because I’m a Muggle-born, sir. A Mudblood!” Lily said clearly.

Professor Slughorn winced. “Detention for you then, Angus. Report to me tomorrow. I will not tolerate this behaviour.” He looked coldly at the two remaining Slytherins. “Lucan, Severus, get back to your carriage. I do not want to hear that you’ve been involved in any more incidents for the rest of this journey.” He watched as the three Slytherin boys walked off. “Potter, Black, I think you should escort Miss Evans to a carriage where she can recover. Lupin, you need to go and inform the Head Boy and Girl that Miss Evans is incapacitated.” He turned abruptly on his heels and left them there.

“Phew, thanks, Padfoot,” whistled James. He was massaging his shoulder where Regulus’ hex had hit. “Nice to see the old shield charm’s still working.”

Sirius wasn’t listening but was looking into the distance. “I no longer exist,” he said thoughtfully. “That’s what Regulus said. They must have blasted me off the damn tapestry “ just like Andromeda.”

“Who’s Andromeda?” whispered Lily to Remus.

“His cousin,” Remus replied. “Do you remember Narcissa Black?” Lily nodded. “Well, Andromeda Black is her older sister. She married a Muggle-born and the family disowned her.”

Sirius looked thoughtful for a while, shook his head and then grinned. “I was on my way to kidnap Martha. Have you any idea where she is?”

James groaned. “I’ll leave you to it, Padfoot. Come on, Evans. I’ll walk back to the carriage with you.”

“I’m perfectly capable of walking,” Lily said as she shook his hand off her arm. The next moment she felt her legs buckle. She leant against the wall.

“No, you’re not!” James said grimly. “Stop being stubborn and just accept my help, will you?”

She glared at him; he laughed. “I don’t think there’s much wrong with you, is there? Oh, come on, Evans. I need someone to distract Sonia. Peter’s not helping at all; he’s too obsessed with that owl of yours, and Mary just keeps laughing.”

He held out his arm to her and she accepted it, only slightly grudgingly. Remus took her other arm and the three of them walked slowly down the corridor, leaving Sirius behind.

“What I don’t understand,” mused James, “is why Sluggy was on the train?”

“Same reason there were Aurors at King’s Cross, I expect,” replied Remus.

“You think so?” James stopped walking and looked back along the corridor. “I’d have thought he’d be more likely to join any Death Eater raid “ not protect us against them.”

Lily stiffened beside him and shook his arm off. “Professor Slughorn isn’t like that, Potter. Just because he’s a Slytherin that doesn’t make him a Death Eater.”

James raised his eyebrows but didn’t reply; they resumed their walk in silence.

After protesting mildly, Lily gave in to James and Peter’s suggestion that she lie down on three of the seats. Peter rolled up his robe for her head and suggested she sleep, but the pain in her shoulder was still niggling at her, and she doubted she’d get much rest. “You don’t have to stay,” she mumbled. “I’ll be fine. Mary and Sonia are here.”

She saw James shake his head at Peter, who nodded back. Merlin! Are they expecting more trouble? She closed her eyes and tried to doze but Sev’s face appeared before her. She had shed no more tears over their shattered friendship since that night he’d begged for forgiveness at school. She wondered now what would have happened if she had let him back in her life. Would he have joined the attack on the train? Probably not. Would he have stolen James’ broom? Yes. Could she have continued defending him if he’d been found out? Lily didn’t know.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, apart from Sirius bursting through the carriage doors with a giggling and faintly protesting Martha over his shoulder. Sonia rolled her eyes and turned her attention to James, who was engrossed in a Quidditch magazine. Every so often, he’d glance up from the page and look at Lily, or check the door as if he were expecting another attack. When Remus finished patrolling the corridors, he joined them and Mary moved into the seat next to him. They began talking to each other “ nonsense things that they didn’t realise the others could hear. Lily caught Peter’s eye and he grinned.

“Shall I let Snitch out, Lily?” he asked as he tried to cover up a snort of laughter. “He could fly round here for a bit.”

“Peter, don’t you dare,” ordered Sonia. “I know they’re useful, but I really can’t stand owls.”

James smiled wickedly and opened Snitch’s cage.

***


They arrived at the station just as it was getting dark. Hagrid stood on the platform rounding up the first years. James waved to him. The Marauders all held the Grounds Keeper in high regard since he turned a blind eye to their nocturnal wanderings in exchange for the odd Charms lesson. Expecting a grin and a wave back, James was surprised to see Hagrid looking grim.

“I’ve a message fer you three girls from Professor McGonagall,” Hagrid said looking directly at Lily, Mary and Sonia. “Yer to take the first carriage, straight away, and report ter her office.”

“Why?” Mary asked.

“Not fer me to say,” Hagrid replied gruffly. “But it’s important.”

Sonia went white. “It’s Phyllida, isn’t it? Sweet Merlin, Hagrid, please tell me she’s okay.”

Hagrid paused and they could see he was struggling with the need to reassure with the necessity to be discreet. “Miss Lacey is fine,” he said at last. “Professor McGonagall will explain everythin’ when yer get there.”

“I’ll come with you,” Remus said immediately as Mary clutched his hand. He turned back to his friends. “I’ll see you later, yes?”

Kicking himself for not thinking of it before, James nodded at Remus and watched as he and the three girls got into the first coach.

“Missed your chance, mate,” Sirius mocked. He had his arms around Martha and was nuzzling her neck. “Do you want to take Moony’s place? Become a temporary Marauder?”

Martha was watching her sister’s coach depart with a worried look on her face. She looked around at a group of girls from her dorm who were getting on another coach that was about to leave. They were smiling and waving at her. “Um, I’d rather go with my friends; then I can catch up with Mary.” She turned around and faced Sirius. “You don’t mind, do you?”

For a split second, Sirius looked affronted then he smiled lazily and ruffled her hair. “Course not, sweetheart. I’ll see you later, maybe.”

As Martha tripped off to join her friends, James started to laugh. “It’s tragic, isn’t it, Wormtail, to see the mighty Padfoot has lost his touch with the witches.”

Sirius glowered as Peter joined in the laughter.

***


In the first carriage, Remus sat next to Mary. Sonia, he thought, is being unnaturally quiet. Her initial panic had subsided and she was gazing ahead, dry eyed and silent. The trees along the path were blowing slightly in the late summer breeze and strange shadows seemed to flit across their faces.

“Hagrid wouldn’t lie, you know,” Remus murmured to them all. Lily nodded gratefully and Mary squeezed his hand tighter, but Sonia did not respond. Remus wondered whether she’d heard him at all.

“Is she okay?” he whispered to the other two.

Lily glanced across at Sonia, and a worried frown appeared on her face. “She’d had an argument with Phyll before they came back to school about Jacob Bennet. I don’t know what was said, but maybe she’s feeling guilty.”

Lily moved across the seat and put her arm around Sonia. “Remus is right, Sonia. Hagrid wouldn’t have lied.” Sonia smiled weakly but did not utter a sound.

As the coach drew up outside Hogwarts, Remus got out first and helped them down. They entered the school and made their way up the staircase. It was odd to be the first pupils there and it was eerily quiet. Mary held Remus’ hand as they weaved their way through the corridors until they came to Professor McGonagall’s office. The four of them stood outside, hesitantly, and then Lily knocked. Instead of barking out ‘Enter’ as she usually did, Professor McGonagall opened the door herself. She assessed them all, pausing as she looked at Remus.

“I only wanted to see the girls, Lupin, so if you’d be kind enough to wait outside.”

Mary started to utter a protest but Remus squeezed her hand. “Certainly, Professor,” he replied. “Lily, I’ll take Snitch to the Owlery if you want.”

Lily smiled slightly and handed the cage over. Snitch looked at her reproachfully. “I’ll be up to see you soon,” she whispered.

The three girls entered the office and sat on a green sofa that the Professor steered them towards. She conjured up some biscuits from the jar on her bookshelf and then placed four teacups and a large pot of tea in front of them. After she’d poured four cups and they’d thanked her dutifully, she began.

“I need to talk to you all about Phyllida.”

“Oh, Godric, no!” cried Sonia, speaking for the first time since she’d got into the carriage. “Hagrid lied to us, didn’t he? You swore he wouldn’t lie, Lily, but she’s hurt, or something, isn’t she?” Sonia stood up, her face awash with pain and her normally well-groomed hair dishevelled as she twisted strands of it again and again. “What’s happened?”

“Miss Slattery... Sonia,” soothed Professor McGonagall, “you need to listen to me. Now, sit down and I’ll explain.” She paused and waited for Sonia to resume her seat between Lily and Mary. They both reached out to hold one of her hands and then all three turned to look at their professor.

“On the way to King’s Cross,” continued Professor McGonagall, “Miss Lacey and her mother were involved in an incident. They were attacked outside their home. There is, I’m afraid, no easy way of saying this, but Phyllida’s mother was killed outright.”

Lily heard Mary’s gasp of shock a fraction before her own. Sonia was studying Professor McGonagall intently. “Where’s Phyllida?” she asked abruptly.

“She’s in St. Mungo’s,” replied the professor. “She’ll be there for a week or so. Then she’ll return to Hogwarts.”

“She’s coming back so soon?” said Mary in surprise.

“She’s only got her mum,” stated Sonia, bleakly, “or rather she only had her mum. Her dad buggered off years ago and she’s got no other family, you know that.”

“Precisely, Miss Slattery,” Professor McGonagall said succinctly. “Now, when Miss Lacey returns, she probably won’t be joining you in class at first. I don’t think I need to tell you to take care of her and, please, do not hesitate to come to me, at any time of day or night, if you feel she needs help.”

Lily, who’d so far been silent, found her tongue. “Who attacked them, Professor?”

Professor McGonagall looked at the three girls meditatively. “The Ministry believe it was a Death Eater attack. Gwendolyn Lacey worked as a Law Enforcer and her work was highly valuable. She’d been responsible for some of the most high profile incarcerations in recent times.”

“But they could have killed Phyll!” cried Mary. “She’s not a danger to them. Why attack her?”

“Miss Macdonald,” said Professor McGonagall slightly sternly. “Do you really think Death Eaters are bothered by such distinctions? They had orders to kill and a schoolgirl won’t get in the way of those plans.”

Chastened, Mary looked down at her wand and began twirling it nervously. “I’m sorry, I didn’t think... It just all seems so unreal... ” Her voice tailed off and she cast a desperate look at Lily.

“I don’t think we expected anything like this to happen to someone we knew,” finished Lily in a small voice.

Professor McGonagall removed her spectacles and rubbed at the bridge of her nose, as if she had a headache. “There is a war going on, Miss Evans, it may seem far away to you girls, enclaved as you are at school, but Gwendolin Lacey’s death and your friend’s near miss, should serve as a reminder to you.” She paused and perhaps she thought she’d gone too far because she smiled slightly. “Miss Macdonald and Miss Slattery, you may go now. I expect you’re eager to join the Feast. I need to have a word with Miss Evans.”

Mary shot Lily a puzzled look as she left the room. Lily could see Remus waiting outside for them and watched as Mary gave him a hug, then, as the door closed, she turned back to Professor McGonagall.

“I have been informed by Professor Slughorn that you were involved in an altercation on the train. Is that correct?” Lily nodded. “If you need to see Madam Pomfrey then please do so, but first I need to talk to you about James Potter’s broom.”

Lily sighed. Although she knew her Head of House would want to know how she had come into possession of the broom, she rather hoped the interrogation would wait at least until tomorrow.

“Professor McGonagall,” she began, “I cannot tell you anymore than I said in my letter. I would like the perpetrators to come forward and I really think that given time they will, so I do not wish to ... err ... inform on them.”

Professor McGonagall stared at her. She reached over to the teapot and poured herself another cup. She gestured to Lily, but she shook her head. “Miss Evans, you do not need to inform on anyone. I merely wished to tell you that Severus Snape wrote to me a few days after you did and confessed to his actions.”

“H-he did?” Lily stuttered in amazement. “Err, does James know?”

“I do not think it wise to tell Mr Potter, do you, Lily? The details of Severus Snape’s punishment are private, known only to a few. I think the bad blood between them all will only escalate if this leaks out, so I trust you will keep this news to yourself.”

Lily nodded. “Of course, Professor.”

Outside the office, Lily took a huge gulping breath of air.

“Lily?” She looked around and saw Sev standing stiffly next to the wall. “I-I did as you asked. I told Professor McGonagall what I’d done.”

She grimaced. Yesterday this would have been important but now, in the wake of Mrs Lacey’s death, she wondered why she’d been so keen that he do the right thing. “Good for you,” she muttered faintly and started to walk past him. Snape plucked at the sleeve of her robe and pulled her close.

“Does this make things okay between us?” he asked urgently.

Lily cast her eyes to the ceiling and laughed bitterly. “After you and your friends attacked us on the train, I don’t think so!” She tried to pull herself free but his hand clasped her arm.

“I didn’t attack you and the others will leave you alone ... if they know you’re with me... that you’re my friend, I mean.”

Lily stared at him. “I don’t want to be merely tolerated. I’m a witch and your equal, not scum as your friend called me.” She wrenched her arm away. “I told you last term that it was too late and I meant it, Sev. There’s no going back to the way things were.”

She began to walk away as she heard footsteps coming up the corridor.

“Evans, where have you been? We’ve been waiting for you in the common...” James stopped as he surveyed the scene. Snape’s expression switched from dismay to utter loathing as he looked at him. “Everything okay?” continued James. He felt for his wand that he’d stowed under his robe, his eyes never leaving Snape’s face.

“Everything’s fine,” Lily responded firmly. “Shouldn’t you be at the Feast?”

“Mmm,” James answered slowly, his eyes still fixed on his enemy. “We’re waiting for you.”

Lily walked purposefully towards James and tugged at his arm. “Come on, Potter,” she said, forcing a light note into her voice, “lead the way. I’m so hungry; I think I could even out-eat Sirius.”

James smirked slightly as he saw Snape’s eyes narrow at her light-hearted words. Taking advantage of her volte-face, he held out his arm. “I shall be delighted to escort you there myself, Miss Evans.”

Lily gazed into his smiling, open face and then glanced back at Sev. The contrast could not have been plainer. She closed her eyes and shook her head slightly. “I can make my own way there,” she muttered and walked away.

James looked Snape straight in the eye. “Girls, eh?” he said clearly and then followed her. He chuckled softly, just loud enough for the other boy to hear.

***


The seven Gryffindors arrived late for the Feast, and the Sorting had finished. Although there weren’t seven places near each other, the other students shuffled around a bit to enable the latecomers to sit down. To James’ delight, the boy they’d spoken to on the train, was now a Gryffindor.

“What’s your name then, Master Quidditch?” James asked from across the table.

“Rodney Clearwater,” he replied shyly. He was gazing around at the table in awe fascinated by the food that appeared in front of him.

“Rodney, here,” continued James, “is a Muggle-born and a huge fan of mine.”

“He said he was a Quidditch fan, Prongs,” Remus stated, “not a fan of you personally.”

Mary snorted and Lily smiled as James began to explain the intricacies of Quidditch with Rodney. He pointed to several of the Gryffindor team, pausing only when his finger pointed to Preston McLaggan. They stared at each other then James tipped his head to the older boy.

“I see trouble brewing there,” murmured Sirius to Sonia, who was staring at her plate of food.

“What?” she asked distractedly and then followed his gaze. “Oh, Preston, yes I suppose so.” She speared a piece of chicken with her fork and raised it to her mouth. Then she lowered it back to the plate with a clatter. “How can you do this?”

“Huh?” questioned Sirius, stuffing potatoes into his mouth.

“How can you sit there and pretend nothing’s happened when Phyll’s lying in St. Mungo’s,” Sonia replied, her voice rising. “James is wittering on about Quidditch, you’re eating your way through a mountain of food “ as usual, and Remus and Mary are too engrossed in each other to care that someone we know is hurt. Mrs Lacey’s dead and none of you seem to give a damn!”

There was a silence as the Ravenclaws on the table nearest them, turned round to look at Sonia. Lily leant across the table and took her friend’s shaking hand. “Sonia, I don’t think anyone’s forgotten. The boys are just trying to take our minds off everything.”

Sonia swallowed and went back to her plate of food. Half-heartedly she raised the fork to her mouth and this time began to eat.

“Nice one,” Peter whispered to Lily. He cleared his throat and glanced at the top table. “New Defence teacher, I see.”

All, except Sonia, turned their heads to scan the professors. One man, in his late twenties and with flame-red hair, stood out. He was looking their way, and smiling benevolently. He raised his glass to Sirius whose face broke into a grin and he began to laugh.

“What’s so funny, Padfoot?” James asked.

“Well, not only does he have red-hair, so I expect you’ll be chasing after him all year, Prongs,” he said as he smirked at James who kicked him under the table, “but that man is a cousin-by-marriage of mine named Fabian Prewett. I met him and his brother once about two years ago when they gate-crashed an important Black family party. It took the house-elves weeks to clear up the mess.”
End Notes:
Sorry to Catherine for the wait! Fabian Prewett, eh? Now, do you think he's like Percy or the twins? I love reviews - concrit or gushing praise - it's all good.
Chapter 11 - Potent Potions by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Slughorn's first class of the new year brings the class get their first whiff of Amortentia. For James and Sirius there are no surprises, but what about Remus ... and Lily.

Thank you to Terri (mudbloodproud) for beta'ing this fic.

****
His spirits high after seeing Fabian Prewett, Sirius decided that it was his job “ no, his duty “ to boost morale for the Gryffindors. Phyllida may be in hospital, he reminded Sonia and the others, but there was nothing they could do for her at the moment. Sweeping Martha off her feet as they left the table, he charged towards the staircases intent, he said, on carrying her all the way up to the Gryffindor Tower.

Martha’s friends giggled as he ran off with her and she threw her head back in utter enjoyment. After two flights though, Sirius was exhausted. He put Martha down and they both sat on the floor. Oblivious to the other students walking past them, he put a hand out and began stroking her hair. “Pleased to be back?” he asked. She nodded and smiled at him. Sirius leant into her and noticed, with wry amusement, that she had closed her eyes. He began to kiss her, very gently, on the lips and she responded almost shyly at first and then more intensely.

“Get a room!” yelled James, jabbing Sirius with his foot as he walked past.

Sirius broke away. “You’re just jealous, Prongs,” he replied. He stood up, bowed and then extended his hand to Martha. “Will you allow me to escort you to the common room, my lady? I thought we could grab our cloaks and take a walk in the grounds.”

Martha accepted his hand and together they walked up the stairs leaving James and Peter to watch. Behind them, Remus had his arm around Mary’s waist and they were laughing quietly together.

“Looks like it’s just you and me, Wormy,” James muttered. Peter had stopped and was looking back at two figures who were just starting to climb the stairs.

“How does he do it?” he asked James. “Padfoot, I mean. He’s only been back an evening and he’s got himself a girlfriend.”

James shrugged. “It’s not that sudden. Martha was in Godric’s Hollow with Mary and Li... err... Evans.” He smiled and his eyes lit up. “We had a fantastic game of Quidditch where Sirius and Martha lost comprehensively because he kept trying to protect her. Boy, I’m glad he’s not on the Quidditch team. It would be murder being his captain!”

Peter snorted. “He might try out this year; you never know your luck.”

“Merlin, I hope not. A distracted Seeker is all I need.” Together they leant over the banister, and James realised that Peter had been watching Sonia and Lily, who were taking their time on the stairs. He could see Sonia talking quickly, and every so often Lily would squeeze the other girl’s arm or say something to her. He looked at Peter; he was staring at both girls with a wistful look on his face.

“You still like her, don’t you?” said James after a while.

“Who, Sonia?” replied Peter and although he spoke casually, his face was turning pink. “Not really, I mean, what’s the point? She’s not going to look at me, is she? She was all over you on the train and you weren’t paying her any attention.”

“Tell me about it,” said James, shuddering. “I mean she’s a good looking girl and all that, but needs constant attention. Plus, I don’t think I could put up with Padfoot reminding me that he’d got there first.”

Peter goggled. “You mean they ... err ...” He blushed furiously.

“Oh, I don’t know about that,” replied James, laughing at Peter’s discomfort. “I think if he’d shagged her, he’d have told us by now. But if I went out with her, he’d keep going on about what he had done.” He paused. “I thought you liked Alice Rowle better, anyway.”

Lily and Sonia were nearly on their flight now. Peter tore his gaze away and looked at his feet. “Yeah, well, I cocked that up as well, didn’t I?”

“You didn’t know she was going out with Frank, though,” replied James reasonably. “She might have said yes if she hadn’t been all loved-up with him.”

“Lost your friends, Potter?” said Lily as they walked past.

“Yeah, the Macdonald girls have worked their magic. It’s a good job there isn’t another one or I’d be a very lonely wizard,” he said, sighing plaintively. “Luckily, though, Peter is also footloose and fancy-free, so would you lovely ladies care to join us in the common room for a game of Exploding Snap?”

“Exploding Snap!” Lily exclaimed scathingly. “That doesn’t sound very Maraudery.”

“It is if you play with my cards,” replied James as Peter began to laugh. “I picked up a set in France last year and they have different ... erm... pictures and ‘explosions’.”

“France?” said Sonia. She was smiling for the first time that evening. “Sorry, James, from what Mary was saying on the train, Lily’s more interested in America.”

***


James woke early the next day. He tried to get back to sleep but he couldn’t stop brooding over Sonia’s remark. Lily had blushed slightly, giggled in a most un-Lily-ish way, and both girls had walked off to their dormitory declaring that they wanted an early night. He lay in his bed, trying to find a cool spot on his pillow whilst he thought about Lily. After she had saved him from the lake, he’d spent most of the summer telling himself that he’d leave her alone. But when she turned up in Godric’s Hollow, he’d sensed an almost imperceptible shift in her attitude towards him, and that gave him hope. He’d returned to Hogwarts with no plan, simply a desire to make her see that he was serious.

Don’t rush it this time, Prongs, he’d thought on the train. Give her a chance to settle back in.

He looked across at the other beds in the room. Remus’ curtains were pulled right across; he rarely left any gaps, still ashamed, despite their necessary closeness, of them seeing scars on some parts of his body. He could hear Peter snuffling slightly in his sleep and, as he lifted his head up, he looked straight across at Sirius. His eyes were wide open. “Padfoot, you’re awake!” he said in a stage whisper.

Sirius looked across and grinned. “Yeah, mate. I couldn’t sleep.”

“Do you want to wake these two up?” James asked him mischievously.

Sirius sat up and shook his head. “Actually, no. Err... I’d rather just talk for a bit. Let’s go to the common room.”

Wordlessly, James agreed and, pulling out a dressing gown, he followed Sirius down the stairs.

“What’s up?” James asked, once they’d settled down into two armchairs. “Martha irritating you already?”

Sirius glared at him. “No, she isn’t! Martha’s sweet. I was thinking about Phyllida’s mum, actually, and then that led me back the Slytherins attacking you on the train.” He raised his eyes to the ceiling and sighed. “I couldn’t believe it when I saw Reg about to hex Moony. He didn’t seem to be my brother anymore.”

James stayed silent while he waited for Sirius to continue. “When my mum started attacking me after she found my O.W.L. results, Regulus tried to stop her. If he hadn’t grabbed her arm, I doubt I’d have got away unscathed.”

James raised his eyebrows. “Did you look at yourself in the mirror when you turned up at mine, Padfoot? I wouldn’t call that unscathed.”

“Compared to what she’s done before, that was a picnic,” Sirius muttered. There was another pause as he collected his thoughts. “He saved me that afternoon, and I left him in that bloody house.”

“Don’t tell me you’re feeling guilty about leaving!” exclaimed James, a slight note of impatience entering his voice. “For Merlin’s sake, Padfoot, it’s not your fault you have a maniac for a mum. And...” He waved away Sirius’ hand of protest and pulled down his pyjama top to reveal a scorch mark on his shoulder. “Regulus can make his own choices. He attacked me for having ‘no proper pride’. He’s a Slytherin; you’re a Gryffindor. What do you expect?”

Sirius swept his hair back off his face. “Are you saying that just ‘cause he’s a Slytherin, he’s automatically a dark wizard? That there’s nothing I can do to stop him making bad choices?”

James paused as he considered Sirius’ words. To be honest, that was what he was thinking but suddenly something floated through his mind. Lily sitting at his parents’ table asking about the House rivalries, with an imploring look at his mum. Then his dad answering her and chiding James’ feelings of hatred towards the Slytherins. James had never had any doubt he’d be a Gryffindor like his dad, so maybe Sirius had once thought he’d be a Slytherin like his father, too. “I was thinking that, yeah,” he admitted. Sirius glowered again but James continued. “Look, you told me something once about the Sorting Hat talking to you. What was it again?”

Sirius smiled slightly. “The Hat took its time, do you remember?” James nodded. “It said it would give me a choice and I assumed it meant Slytherin and Gryffindor, but actually it dismissed Slytherin and offered me Ravenclaw.”

“And why did it dismiss Slytherin?” persisted James.

Sirius stared at the Gryffindor notice board, empty apart from the lion crest at the top. “‘Not Slytherin’,” he quoted, “’you plainly don’t want to be there, Black, in spite, or maybe, because it will upset your family.’ The Hat said that wasn’t its concern and then offered me Ravenclaw, saying I had the brains to do well.”

“And how did it Sort you in the end?” James nudged at Sirius’ memory.

“I wanted Gryffindor,” replied Sirius simply.

“So, Regulus, the next year, approaches the Hat “ just like his brother “ and is offered a similar choice. Except for him it’s easier because his older brother has already defied tradition,” argued James.

“No,” interrupted Sirius, and he leant closer to James, staring into his eyes. “It was always going to be much harder for Regulus because he had my parents on at him continually about what a disappointment I was to them, plus ...” He paused and then began fiddling with the hem of his dressing gown. “Regulus saw what they did to me when I got back that summer. If you thought I looked bad when I turned up this summer, you should have seen me then. I made Moony’s scars look like a simple case of Dragon Pox.”

“What are you saying about Remus and Dragon Pox?” said a voice behind them. Sirius and James turned around to see Mary standing by the staircase that led to the girls’ dormitories, wearing a pink, fluffy dressing gown and holding some empty goblets.

“We’re debating a prank,” replied James smoothly. “We thought Dragon Pox could only improve his looks.”

“You leave him alone,” Mary said mock-sternly. “Or I’ll tell my sister everything that Sonia told us about you, Sirius Black.”

James grinned as Sirius scowled. “Mary, this sounds interesting,” he said smirking. “Will you tell us anyway?”

Mary walked over to the large pitchers of Pumpkin Juice that were in the corner and began to fill the three goblets. “That’s nothing to what Phyllida told us about you, James. She reckoned your arms wandered more than the Giant Squids,” she said as she sauntered out of the room.

Picking up a cushion, James threw it at Sirius who was laughing so hard he fell off his armchair. Then James joined in too until soon they were lying in a heap on the hearthrug battering each other with cushions.

“She’ll be good for Moony, won’t she,” stated James as he paused for breath.

“Yeah, I reckon so,” replied Sirius as he looked towards the girls’ staircase. “When do you think he’ll tell her, though?”

James picked up his glasses which had fallen off onto the rug. “Well, considering he denied it to us for at least three months after we found out, it’ll be on their honeymoon, and she’ll have sussed it years before.”

***


The first day back was taken up with the distribution of timetables. This was more complicated for the students entering N.E.W.T. year as Professor McGonagall had to first check all their O.W.L. results.

“Potter, yes, that’s fine,” she said and cleared him to study Transfiguration, Herbology, Potions, Defence against the Dark Arts, Charms and Arithmancy. “May I congratulate you, and you too, Black, on your ‘Outstandings’ in Transfiguration. The best in the year.” She smiled at them both and James felt a warm glow inside of him.

“Why on earth are you doing Arithmancy?” asked Sirius as they waited for the other two. “You always moan about how dull it is. Numbers and figures and stuff”

Professor McGonagall’s voice floated over to them. “Yes, Miss Evans, an E at O.W.L. level means you can take Transfiguration at N.E.W.T. level.” She paused. “You shouldn’t worry, Lily, you wrote an exceptionally good theory paper. Now as for the rest, Charms, Herbology, Defence against the Dark Arts, Arithmancy and Potions “ cleared for all.”

“Ah, say no more, Prongs. You want to study another sort of figure,” Sirius joked and dodged James’ punch.

James leant over and said, with a slight edge to his voice, “I like Arithmancy and I’m good at it. That is the only reason I’m taking it this year, jerk!”

Sirius carried on laughing all the way back to Gryffindor Tower and then proceeded to tell the Fat Lady all about James’ timetable. To James’ chagrin, she burst into laughter too.

***


Later that day James, Sirius, and Remus headed off for Potions, whilst Peter went with Mary to Care of Magical Creatures. As they entered the dungeon, James was hit by a smell so tantalizing to his senses he couldn’t stop smiling. He noticed Sirius taking deep breathfuls whereas Remus looked lazily content.

“What is it that Sluggy’s brewing?” muttered James as he looked round the room. Just behind them stood a gold cauldron “ the steam from the bubbling cauldron rose in spirals.

“Amortentia,” Remus replied suddenly. He backed away and moved quickly to a table in the far corner.

“What’s the matter, Moony?” Sirius muttered as they joined him. “I’d be happy to sit by that cauldron all lesson.”

Come on, boys, settle down, settle down,” ordered Professor Slughorn. He picked up his parchment register and began to mark off names. “Right, do we have everyone here?” His eyes flickered over the four Ravenclaws sat at one table, Snape and a Slytherin girl who sat by themselves. Two Hufflepuffs, who had come in after the Marauders, walked towards the empty seats at Snape’s table. On seeing him, they hesitated and then reversed sharply when he shook his head. “Hmmm, someone is missing,” continued Slughorn.

“Sorry, Professor,” said Lily as she rushed in. “I had to speak to Professor McGonagall.”

Professor Slughorn smiled indulgently at Lily. “Not a problem, m’dear. If you’ll just take a seat.”

Lily had stopped in front of the gold cauldron and James saw her look in puzzlement at the contents, then she smiled a giddy type of smile. She looked around the room, still smiling, as she tried to find a place to sit.

“Lily,” called Remus. “Come and join us.”

“Are you mad?” muttered Sirius. “We don’t need Miss Prefect sitting with us.”

Remus turned his head towards Sirius. “Leave it out, Padfoot. There’s no other Gryffindors here. Besides, I’m a prefect and you don’t object to sharing with me.”

Sirius snorted. “That’s because you know better than to sneak to Slughorn when we nick ingredients.”

“Thank you, Remus,” said Lily as she plonked her books down on the table and sat next to him. She eyed Sirius warily, catching his mutinous look. “You don’t mind do you?”

“Delighted,” interjected James before Sirius could object. “Padfoot needs all the help he can get.”

“Amortentia,” Slughorn declared. “Who can tell me what is so special about it?”

Lily raised her hand as did Snape. After a while, Remus raised his hand too. James and Sirius sat back and watched. “Bet you two Knuts he picks Lily,” whispered Sirius.

“No bet, Padfoot. He always picks her; that’s why we get so many House Points for Gryffindor.”

“Until you and I lose them,” Sirius replied.

Professor Slughorn looked around the room. His eyes rested on Lily. “Lily, will you tell the rest the rest of the class?”

“Amortentia is a powerful love potion that smells differently to each of us. We can smell the things that attract us,” she replied.

James closed his eyes and tried to recall the seductive scents. He smiled slightly, Quaffle wax, treacle tart and something intoxicatingly fresh yet spicy “ Lily’s scent. No great shocks.

“Ahh, was it Lily, Lily and Lily, for you, Prongs?” Sirius whispered just loud enough for her to hear but she wasn’t listening.

“What about you then?” asked James. “Eau de Pomfrey or Scent de Seeker?

Sirius smirked. “Nah, Bouquet de Bike, more like.”

James burst out laughing.

“Is something the matter, Potter?” enquired Slughorn icily.

“No, sir, I was just wondering what Padf... err... Sirius smelt in the cauldron.”

“Perhaps you’d like to share with the class your experience, Potter, as you seem so interested in everyone else’s?” Slughorn replied.

James looked around the room. Sirius was grinning, Remus was trying not to laugh, Lily looked slightly embarrassed and Snape looked bitter. James took a deep breath. “That, sir, would be private, although I will tell you that Quaffle wax is one of them.”

Slughorn pursed his lips at James’ reply and turned back to the class. “Generally, you will find you smell three, possibly four things. This could be a food or, as Mr Potter has told us, a sporting hobby close to his heart. You look puzzled, Lily, m’dear. Is something wrong?”

Lily looked directly at the Potions Master and then at the cauldron. “I’m sure I could only smell one thing, sir. Is that unusual?”

Professor Slughorn stared. “Walk over to the cauldron and inhale again,” he instructed her.

James watched curiously, as Lily made her way to the cauldron. She leant over and inhaled deeply. He saw that giddy smile again and then she looked puzzled.

“Any better?” enquired Professor Slughorn. There was a worried edge to his voice.

“Well,” Lily replied. “I still have the first one and it’s,” she sniffed again, “very strong. But I can smell some other things, although they’re not distinct.”

“But they are there?” Slughorn’s voice had lost its edge, and he seemed calmer now as Lily nodded.

James was watching the professor. His shoulders which had been hunched up, visibly relaxed and he let out an almost inaudible sigh. Why is he so relieved? he thought, and then wondered what on earth Lily had smelt.

The rest of the lesson was spent in discussing Amortentia, and then Professor Slughorn set them the task of preparing a Euphoria Potion. As usual, James and Sirius became competitive “ trying to outdo the other, Remus settled down to his own cauldron and worked methodically but Lily simply stared at her book as she gathered her thoughts.

Half an hour later, Lily, alone of her table, had managed to produce a perfect Euphoria Potion. She giggled as she showed it to Professor Slughorn and he smiled down at her.

“Excellent, Lily,” he enthused to the rest of the class. He bent over her cauldron and began to inhale, ignoring Sirius, who had managed to brew a far too strong potion that resulted in him tweaking his nose in a violent manner.

They were dismissed a short while later with James still laughing at Sirius, and Remus swearing that he wasn’t laughing at him, it was simply that he’d brewed too successful a Potion and was feeling particularly euphoric.

“What did you smell in Amortentia, Moony? Aromatic Mary?” asked Sirius in an attempt to change the subject.

Remus tried to straighten his face, but the sight of Sirius desperately trying not to pull at his nose, made him snort into his robes. “Err,” he began weakly as he tried to stop laughing, “haystacks, bacon and eggs frying in a pan and ...” He paused and looked confused. “Do you think Amortentia will change as we change? I mean does it only smell of true love?” Addressing the question to Lily, he spoke in a casual manner as if the answer weren’t really important, but James caught a slightly worried look on his face.

Lily frowned in concentration. “It’s not about true love,” she replied. “It’s more attraction, perhaps an initial attraction that could lead to love.” Lily smiled in a dreamy, secretive way, and James could contain himself no longer.

“What did you smell, Evans?”

“As you said to Professor Slughorn, that’s private. I will tell you one thing, though,” she stopped and turned to face him, “it had absolutely nothing to do with Quidditch.”

***


In the common room that evening, James watched as Lily began to regale Mary and Sonia with her Amortentia experience. Sonia, brighter than she’d been the night before, began to cackle, but Mary looked thoughtful. He moved closer on the pretext of fixing a Quidditch try-outs notice to the common room board.

“You’re quite sure, then?” he overheard Mary saying to Lily.

“Oh, it was definitely coffee. That was the only thing I could smell at first,” Lily replied. James saw her smiling as she tossed her long red hair over her shoulders. She seemed light-hearted and not at all like the serious prefect he was used to parrying words with.

And her happiness has nothing to do with me, he thought sadly.

“What’s up?”

James looked over his shoulder to see Remus just behind him. He shrugged. “Nothing much. Err... Moony, has Mary said anything about ... um ... America to you?”

Remus started shaking his head then stopped. “Not America, no, although she did mention some American bloke they met when they were hiking. Lily had hurt her foot, or something, and he helped them. Why?”

“No reason,” James replied, and turned his attention back to the notice board. “Hope I get some fresh blood trying out. I don’t think McLaggan’s particularly happy with me being captain.”

“Remus,” called Mary. “Lily has been telling us all about Amortentia. It sounds fascinating.”

She got up and walked over to them both. Linking her arm around his waist, she tilted her face up to his for a kiss. Remus obliged, and James noticed him sniffing lightly at her hair. James smothered a grin, but then Remus drew back.

“Sorry,” he muttered as he pulled away, “I’ve just remembered something... back later.”

James saw Mary’s puzzled expression and smiled kindly at her. “Moony’ll forget his own head one day. You’re too distracting, Mary.” Then he turned around and followed Remus through the portrait door.

“Which way did he go?” he asked the Fat Lady. She pointed behind the tapestry and James pulled it open. Remus was slouched against the wall.

“What’s up?” James repeated the question Remus had asked only minutes before.

“What did you smell in that cauldron today, Prongs?” If the question surprised James, he did not show it.

“Quaffle wax, treacle tart and,” he smiled ruefully, “Lily Evans.”

“That’s what I thought. I mean you’ve liked Lily for, what, over a year now and you still like her, yeah?”

James nodded. “What’s this about, Remus?”

Remus sat on the floor, looked down at his scuffed shoes and began cleaning them with the sleeve of his robe. “I don’t smell Mary,” he admitted at last. “You know what I’m like in the last days before I transform. My senses go into overdrive. I thought I’d be overpowered but it was just a hint of her, and then there was something else underlying it but that kept changing. Do you think it matters?”

“What, that it’s faint?” asked James. Remus looked directly into his eyes and nodded. James lowered himself to the ground and sat opposite his friend. “Do you like being with her?”

“We have fun and it’s good to be with a girl. I feel... normal... free... and I like that.”

“Then what’s the problem?” James asked. There was another long pause as Remus stared at the ceiling. James laughed. “You’re not seriously telling me that you’d split up with her because of some dodgy potion of Sluggy’s? For Merlin’s sake, I smelt Quaffle wax but I’m not about to go and snog a tin of it.”

Remus smiled slightly. “I suppose you’re right. I don’t know what to say if she asks me what I smelt, though.”

James stood up. Offering his hand to Remus, he pulled him up and then clasped him on the shoulder. “I know this is against everything you believe in,” he said slightly mockingly, “but you could always lie!”
End Notes:
I love reviews and I've heard the Marauders are rather partial to them too.
Chapter 12 - Family Ties by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
It's the first D.A.D.A. lesson of the new year, but Sirius has other things on his mind. Unfortunately for him he's paired up with an old adversary ... and that's when things get nasty.

Thank you to Alyssa (Harry4lif) for beta'ing this, and Terri (mudbloodproud) for endless AIM chats and encouragement and an MWPP class that made me change Lily.

* * *
“Are you going to finish that toast, or just look at it?” Sirius said to Remus two days later. Remus looked up and pushed the plate towards him.

“Have it if you want,” he replied, yawning. “I’m not that hungry and we need to get to Defence soon.”

Sirius reached across the table began to eat. “You all right?” he asked inbetween mouthfuls.

“Yeah,” Remus said. “Just, well, you know.” He looked around but the table was practically empty. “Full moon tomorrow.”

“Oh, that!” exclaimed Sirius as he spread some jam on the toast. “First one of the new term, we should do something spectacular.”

Remus laughed. “I would have thought turning yourself into a big black dog was spectacular enough. Doesn’t take long for you to get bored, does it?” He stood up. “Come on, we’ll need to hurry as it is.”

“Nah,” replied Sirius. “You go on. I’ll see you in there.”

As Remus left, Sirius swivelled his head around to the Slytherin table. Regulus was there talking to some boys from his year. He glanced up and their eyes met; Sirius raised a hand and thought he saw his brother’s hand move too. Then Regulus looked down and the brief moment between them flickered away. He wondered what Regulus would do if he walked and demanded to speak to him. He was sorely tempted to confront him, to shake some sense into his brother. Sirius balled his fist around his wand and stood up.

“Hi there,” said a voice behind him. Sirius turned his attention away from Regulus and looked into the smiling, sunny face of Martha. He could not help but smile back, and in that moment the urge to confront his brother left him.

“Hi, sweetheart,” he said and he placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. “Shouldn’t you be in class, or something?”

Martha snorted. “I could ask you the same thing. I’m supposed to have Divination, but Professor Barwick’s refusing to leave his room. According to Lysander, he read something in his teacup this morning and has decided today is a bad day. So, we’re going to go and practise Quidditch instead.”

Sirius grinned and then asked nonchalantly, “Lysander, he’s that short, fat Gryffindor kid in your year?”

Martha giggled. “Well, two out of four right, Sirius. He shot up over the summer, got himself a decent broom and now wants to try out for the team, so I said I’d help.”

Sirius grunted something incomprehensible. “Have fun,” he said rather abruptly and began to walk away. Then he turned back and smiled. “Sorry, I really have to get going or, cousin or not, Fabian will hex me.”

Martha blew him a kiss and Sirius suddenly felt a whole lot better.

Pelting along the corridors and skidding around the corners, he managed to arrive only five minutes late. “Sorry, sir,” Sirius called loudly as he strolled in, his hands in his pockets. He winked at Fabian Prewett who was in the process of correcting Sonia’s wand grip. Prewett did not wink back.

Sirius sauntered to the back of the class to where James and Peter were standing. “Where’s Moony?” he whispered.

Peter pointed to Mary and Sirius saw Remus standing next to her. “We’re in pairs. None of the girls wanted to go with Snivelly, so Remus joined them.”

“Non- verbal spells, as I was saying before I was interrupted are useful, why?” Professor Prewett asked the class. A few hands were raised; Snape’s being the first in the air.

Sirius snorted. “Typical, sucking up to the new teacher.”

Prewett pointed to Snape. “Your adversary has no warning about what kind of magic you’re about to perform, so you have a split-second advantage,” Snape replied.

Professor Prewett smiled broadly. “Excellent answer, Mr Snape. Almost textbook. Five points for Slytherin.” He looked around the room. “Right, in your pairs, I want you to disarm each other without speaking. No cheating, mind. I don’t want to see your lips move. If you can’t do it, then don’t worry. It is only a first attempt. You have a problem, Black?”

“Not really, sir. I don’t have a partner, so I’ll work in a three,” Sirius said moving closer to James and Peter.

“Mr Snape doesn’t have a partner, you can work with him,” replied the professor mildly, ignoring the gasp that emanated from the class. Snape glared at the professor and Sirius scowled.

“This should be fun,” he muttered to James as he walked forwards.

“Sir,” Lily spoke out suddenly. “I “ I really don’t think...”

Professor Prewett turned around to her, a curiously blank expression on his face. “I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about Miss Evans,” he replied evenly. “From what I’ve heard, Mr Snape and Mr Black are very well matched.” He watched as Sirius squared up to Snape and then spoke to the whole class. “Okay, you are to try and disarm your partner using a non-verbal spell only. Take it in turns. The one on the receiving end can cast any protective methods they can think of “ again non-verbally.”

Sirius could see Snape watching him with utmost loathing on his face. Go on, Snivelly. Do your worst, he thought as he stared into the Slytherin boy’s eyes. He saw Snape’s hand twitch and instinctively ducked as a jet of light hurtled towards him. Merlin, he’s quick.

“Excellent work, Mr Snape,” called Professor Prewett from the back of the classroom where he was helping Peter get up from the floor. “I said protective spells, Black; ducking won’t work forever, although ...” He paused and smiled slightly at Sirius, “...your reflexes are good.”

Sirius turned back to Snape. Petrificus Totalis! he thought, hoping that Snape would soon be bound tight on the ground, but his opponent was too quick and the protective spell cast, caused the hex to be little more than a judder in the air. He could see Snape looking at him intently, a slight smile playing on his lips. What the hell does he have in store? His eyes left Snape’s face and watched his wrist. It flicked slightly, and this time Sirius was ready; his shield charm held.

“Your lips moved, Black!” said a voice behind him. Another Slytherin, the girl from Potions, smirked at him.

“Rubbish!” he retorted, refusing to let her rile him. “Your boyfriend just can’t beat me, Flint.”

Shirley Flint pulled a face and went back to trying to hex her friend. Sirius turned back to Snape. He noticed Snape’s eyes boring into him and a spell swam before his eyes. Tarrantellegra! he thought, but Snape smirked and easily deflected the hex.

“Okay, take a break,” called Prewett. He walked to the front of the class. “I still see a lot of muttered curses. The trick is to concentrate your mind. Focus on the spell, your wand and the person you’re hexing.” He turned to Sirius. “I’ve been watching you, and clearly the non-verbal part of this isn’t a problem, but you’re giving yourself away, somehow, and your opponent is anticipating your actions.

“Non-verbal spells can be an essential part of your armoury,” he continued. “But you cannot rely on them entirely. It is better that you build up your knowledge so you can deal with any situation. Thinking on your feet and adapting may well save your life.” He turned back to Sirius and Snape. “Try again.”

The words had barely escaped his lips when Snape thrust his wand outwards. Sirius did not have time to cast a shield or and hex before he found himself hoist by his ankle in the air. His robes flapped over his face and he could hear Sonia cackle. “Nice underpants, Sirius, darling,” she called.

“At least they’re new,” he replied through a mouthful of cloth. He lifted his robes off his face to see James torn between laughter and sympathy. “Hey, Lily, Mary, enjoying the view?”

“Nice one, Mr Snape,” declared the professor. “Now let him down.”
Snape flicked his wand casually, and Sirius came crashing down. There was a crack as his head hit the floor. “Bloody hell,” he said rubbing the top of his head. He was no longer laughing. “That was deliberate, you slimy bastard.” He tried to stand up but his legs buckled beneath him.

“Oops, my wand slipped,” Snape replied looking Sirius straight in the eye. He glanced at Fabian Prewett who was watching them both with narrowed eyes. He walked over to Sirius and began to feel his head. Sirius winced as the professor’s fingers touched a bump that was already forming.

“Miss Evans,” Professor Prewett said at last, “perhaps you’d take Sirius to the hospital wing and explain what happened.” He hoisted Sirius up and Lily put her arm around him.

“Hey, I’ve pulled. Prongs, look,” said Sirius woozily, “I’ve cracked it. Sorry, mate, she’s all over me.”

He began to sway again and James darted forwards from the back of the class. “I’ll take him, sir,” he said firmly.

“Now, now, Prongs. Better man won,” slurred Sirius. “I don’t think Lily wants to let me go. Lily darling, you must keep your hands to yourself, or Martha will get upset.”

Lily sighed. “You’re a fool, Sirius Black. Sir, I’m not sure I can take his weight.”

“Take Potter with you, then,” replied Prewett. “Miss Slattery, pair up with Pettigrew, will you? Snape, you can sit out for a while. Potter...” Professor Prewett turned his gaze to the three of them. “Don’t use magic to get him there. It might cause more harm. Miss Evans, I’m relying on you.”

Sirius felt rather than saw James put an arm under his shoulders. “You could stay, Lily,” Sirius said as he turned his head around. “I can see two of Prongs, so that should be enough. Although ... then you’d be stuck with Snivellus and that would be horrible.”

Snorting with laughter, James tightened his grip and dragged him out of the room. Lily glanced around the room; her eyes briefly met Snape’s and then she clutched Sirius’ other arm and walked with them.

Somehow, the three of them made it along the corridors and up the moving staircases with only a few stumbles. Sirius at one point decided he wanted to sing a rather bawdy song about goblins, but Lily managed to persuade him that it really wasn’t a good idea, especially as they were currently outside Professor McGonagall’s classroom.

“She might enjoy it, livy loly...err...I mean lovy ...” he shook his head and winced. “What do I mean?”

“Lovely Lily, I think that’s what you’re trying to say, Padfoot,” remarked James. He looked across at Lily who was suppressing a grin. “The crack to his skull seems to have turned him into some would-be Romeo.”

They stopped and leant against a wall. Sirius slid to the ground and held his head in his hands. James and Lily stood over him.

“I’m not sure whether to be insulted or not,” Lily mused. “Sirius Black can only call me lovely when rendered insensible.” She flashed James a smile but he didn’t notice.

“Sirius,” he said as he knelt down by his side and snapped his fingers. Sirius didn’t respond. “Padfoot! Wake up!”

Lily, catching the urgency of James’ tone, bent down and peered into Sirius’ glassy eyes. “Merlin, when I said insensible, I didn’t mean it.” Straightening up, she continued, “I’ll go and get Madam Pomfrey.”

“No,” replied James. “It’ll be quicker if we take him. Look, we could levitate him between us and then he won’t be a dead weight.”

“But Professor Prewett said we weren’t to use magic,” she reposted. “It could make him worse.”

“How do you think Madam Pomfrey escorts people to the hospital?” James replied impatiently. “The number of times I’ve been hit with a Bludger, and ended up there. She levitates us on stretchers.” He looked down at Sirius again.”We just need to make him a bit lighter, that’s all.” He got out his wand and muttered something under his breath. Instantly, Sirius floated upwards, his chin lolling on his chest. He mumbled something and James, relieved his friend was now talking, grasped him around the waist. “Look, go if you want. I’ve got him and I wouldn’t want you to get into trouble, Evans,” he said, a slightly scathing note in his voice.

“Oh, shut-up, Potter,” she snapped. “I’ll have to come along now, to make sure you don’t decide to do something really stupid.” She grasped Sirius other arm and began to walk along the corridor. “If I left it to you, you’d probably decide to float him up to the girls’ dormitories or something.”

James laughed. “Don’t think we haven’t tried. There’s some sort of enchantment on the windows as well.”

“James Potter!” she exclaimed and dropped Sirius’ arm. James loosened his grip in alarm at the tone in her voice. Sirius started floating towards a flaming torch; his hair began to singe just as James grabbed him back. “That’s disgusting,” she continued, her voice sounding shrill. “Don’t we deserve any privacy?”

“We were first years, Evans,” he said defensively as he tried to hold Sirius away from the flames. “We were only interested in your chocolate supplies, not your ... erm ... other things.” He snorted slightly.

Slightly mollified, she took Sirius’ arm again and the three of them “ two walking and one bobbing “ walked up the staircases to Madam Pomfrey.

“So what happened then?” Lily asked finally. “To the windows, I mean.”

“Oh.” James grinned broadly. “Well, we’d broken into the broom store and I’d flown up with Mr Floaty here. Peter was on the grass; he couldn’t fly that well at the time.” He paused, frowning in concentration. “I don’t think Remus was there. He must have been ... well, that’s not important ... Sirius got as high as one of the windows. He was hovering so I joined him and we decided to fly closer.” He chuckled at the memory. “And then, suddenly, this enormous pigeon flew at him. He swerved, bumped into me and we both careered towards the windowpane. But before we could crash, we hit some kind of invisible wall and slid to the grass. So, we ended up with a few cuts and bruises and were no nearer to discovering your secret stash of sweets.”

They stopped at the door of the hospital wing. James produced his wand and gently released Sirius from the spell. Sirius grunted something as he slumped in James’ arms.

“You wouldn’t have discovered much anyway,” replied Lily casually. “We all have very good hiding places. Nothing as easy as a loose floorboard next to the fireplace.”

James turned his head to her. “How do you know about that?”

She snorted. “Really, Potter. I would have thought you’d worked us Gee-Gees out by now. We got into your dorm the first term we were here. Where did you think your Chocolate Frogs had gone?”

***


Sirius had broken his skull. It was a small hairline fracture on the crown, which Madam Pomfrey healed in a trice, but she told both James and Lily that she wanted to keep him in for the night. They walked back together, but without the Sirius-shaped buttress that had been between them, James found that he was tongue-tied. “How did you know they were my Chocolate Frogs?” he said at last as they were walking down their second flight of steps.

“What?” Lily looked puzzled. “Oh, your chocolate stash. You came to this school already obsessed with Quidditch “ I understand why now, having met your dad “ and as well as your sweets, you also had a Quidditch magazine in your hidey-hole.” She stopped walking and smiled as she remembered something. “You were so cross when you’d discovered they’d gone, weren’t you? I can remember you sulking at the dinner table and refusing to talk to the others. Actually, we felt a bit guilty then, until Phyll reminded us that the week before you’d turned Mary’s hair green.”

James grinned. “I think I was aiming for you, actually, but you ducked. So, in a way, Evans, it was your fault and you owe me twenty Chocolate Frogs.”

They stopped in the corridor as a group of first year boys ran past them.

“Slow down,” Lily ordered. They slowed but as soon as they turned the corner, James could hear them break into a run.

“That must mean classes are over,” he said, hiding a grin as he watched Lily frown. “Might as well head straight back to the common room. I’m sure the others will bring our things.”

Lily acquiesced and they walked back to the tower in silence for a while. “How’s your mum?” Lily asked at last.

James lifted his head up from the shoes he’d been scuffing on the floor.

“She’s fine. I forgot, actually, she sent me a package, first day back and asked after you,” he replied. They reached the staircase that led to the Tower. James hesitated at the top, and Lily slowed her pace too. “Mum’s asked me to ask you something, but I ... umm ... It’s a bit awkward, so ...” He shook his head.

“Oh, come on, Potter “ out with it,” Lily said impatiently.

“Mum,” he said hesitantly, “has a bit of an obsession with Muggle-borns.” He paused before continuing quickly, “She’d like to research your family tree and wanted me to ask you if you’d send her some details of your family and stuff. I totally understand if you don’t want to... I realise my mum’s a bit of a nutcase on this subject and I’d hate you to think that she’s singling you out “ although, she is singling you out, but it’s not because she looks down on you, because she doesn’t. None of us do --”

Lily laughed. “Potter, stop babbling. I know about your mum’s hobby. Your dad told me all about it when we met.”

“And you don’t mind?” James asked anxiously.

“No, I think it’s great. Wow! Your mum might find out I’ve some really cool ancestor like Dilys Derwent, or something.”

James heaved a sigh of relief and then laughed. “Only you would think Dilys Derwent is cool. I think it’s more likely, ‘cause you’re good at Charms, that your Magical ancestor’s Wendelin the Weird.” He ducked away from her outstretched palm and dashed down the stairs to the Portrait Hall. Lily ran after him, but she was laughing.

***


In the hospital wing, Sirius woke to see a figure sitting by his bed. He shifted his head slightly and winced. Despite Madam Pomfrey’s care, he still had one hell of a headache.

“Hi, Sirius,” said Fabian softly. “How’s the head?”

“Fine,” he croaked. “I’ve had worse.” Sirius tried to lever himself up into a sitting position so he could look at his Professor and cousin. “Why are you here?”

“Checking to see how my student is,” replied Fabian casually. He fiddled with his wand. “It doesn’t look particularly good that in my first class with your year, someone ends up in hospital.”

Sirius waved a hand airily. “This is nothing. Remus ended up in hospital last year in the first five minutes of the Charms lesson. I’d summoned a book and it hit him right in the --”

“Enough of that, Black,” declared Madam Pomfrey as she entered the room. She was carrying a tray of food. “I think you’re well enough to eat now. Professor Prewett, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t keep him talking too long.”

“Just a few more minutes, and then I’ll leave,” replied Fabian. He caught her eye and Sirius noticed a look flash between them. Madame Pomfrey smiled back, a faint blush suffusing her cheeks, and then retired to her office.

“You’re a fast worker,” muttered Sirius. “You’ve been here less than a week and already ...” He stopped, unsure how far he could push this man, who was after all his teacher.

Fabian grinned at him. “I’ve known Poppy Pomfrey a long time, Sirius.” He paused and smiled at something. “Anyway, I’m not here to talk about her. I’m here to see you, cousin.”

Sirius sat upright, ignoring the pain in his head. Fabian calling him cousin changed their dynamic dramatically. No longer professor and pupil, they were family.

“I was warned by your Head of House that I could expect trouble between you, your friends and the Slytherins. I think that was a fair assumption on her part, yes?”

Sirius nodded. “Yeah, we’re not exactly bosom buddies “ any of us. Did you pair me up with Snape deliberately?”

Fabian considered the question. “Not exactly. I could see how reluctant the girls were to partner him, and I wondered why. I’d heard you were well matched, so didn’t think there’d be any harm in you two sparring in my classroom where I could watch.”

Sirius raised one eyebrow. “Well, you got that wrong!”

Fabian chuckled ruefully. “Yep, I messed up there all right. You were clearly not well matched.”

“I can beat that slime ball any day,” Sirius retorted angrily. “He was lucky, that’s all.”

Fabian looked around and then leant in. “It wasn’t luck, Sirius. You failed to disarm him. And you only protected yourself once ...”

Sirius frowned. It had been unusual. Last term, he could hex Snivellus easily, but this morning...
“What did he have that I didn’t?” he asked at last.

“What happened just before you cast your Shield Charm?” Fabian asked, his eyes penetrating.

Sirius thought back. “I was watching his face, to see if he’d cheat and move his lips, and then I looked at his wrist for some reason. It flicked, and so I knew he’d just thrown a hex.”

“And what about when you were trying to hex him?” persisted Fabian.

Sirius closed his eyes. “I tried to do Tarrantellegra, and I could see it clearly in my mind, but ... well ... he blocked me.” Sirius shrugged. “He got lucky.”

“Or perhaps he know exactly what you were going to do,” Fabian stated. “Come on, Sirius. Put it together. After all, this particular branch of magic was a speciality of your father’s, I believe.”

Sirius gasped. “Legilimency! He used that on me. What the ... Merlin, how the hell does Snivelly know Legilimency?”

Fabian sighed. He stood up, helped himself to a few of the chips on Sirius’ dinner plate and then spoke. “I have no idea, but he’s good, Sirius. I think you need to watch your step around him.”

Stealing another chip, Fabian walked towards the door. “I better go and let you ... uh ... rest,” he said winking. Sirius looked puzzled, but then smiled as Fabian let Martha into the room.

“Hello,” she said as she sat on the side of the bed. “I didn’t bring you anything, I’m afraid. James said you were unconscious so I didn’t really expect you to be awake.”

Yet, she came anyway, he thought. “How was your Quidditch practise?” he asked as he ruffled her hair.

“Not bad. Lysander’s a bit of a prat, but he’s a good flyer,” she replied.

Sirius smirked inwardly. “Thanks for coming.”

***


“Shit! So he’s broken his skull!” exclaimed Remus at lunch. “Is he going to be okay?”

James shrugged. “He’ll be fine; Madam Pomfrey will sort him out “ and knowing Padfoot he’ll make the most of it.” He leant over and helped himself to more bread. Lily sitting further up the table was talking to Sonia when she looked up. He smiled at her, but she looked away. He heard Peter muttering something in his ear.

“What?” James said in exasperation

“I was just wondering whether Padfoot will be okay for tomorrow,” Peter whispered. “Full moon and all that.”

“Oh.” James looked across at Remus apologetically. “Sorry, I hadn’t realised.” He lowered his voice. “We’ll be there for you, Moony, all right.”

Remus gnawed at his lip. “Not if it’s going to be a problem. I doubt you could keep me in check me by yourselves.”

“What are you three looking so conspiratorial about?” asked Mary. She squeezed in-between Remus and Peter and ran her hand through Remus’ hair. He grinned, slightly bashfully at the others and then pecked her on the cheek.

“Nothing much. We’re just wondering whether to visit Sirius,” Remus replied smoothly. “He’s probably bored out of his cracked skull.”

Mary laughed. “I don’t think so, somehow. My sister went to visit him about half an hour ago, and she’s not back yet. She’s keeping a vigil in the hope he’ll ask her to Hogsmeade next weekend,” she said meaningfully as she looked sideways at Remus.

Whilst Remus spluttered out a reply, (because of course he was planning to ask her, but he hadn’t realised when the next Hogsmeade weekend was), James glanced across at Lily. He opened his mouth, ready to shout the usual, ‘Fancy a date, Evans!’, but then he stopped.
I need to catch her alone, he thought.

Peter nudged him and James looked back to see Remus looking uncomfortable. “I think,” Remus said, “that we need to go and disturb Padfoot. See you later.” As he stood up, he gave Mary a quick squeeze on the arm, but walked out quickly. Peter followed and after gulping down the last of his drink, James did too.

“I did warn you, Mary,” he heard Sonia say. “Their friends will always take priority.”

He caught up with Remus and Peter who were waiting at the bottom of the staircase. “What’s the problem? I don’t think Padfoot will want us interrupting.”

Remus was silent. He started walking up the staircase, but halted when he reached the trick step. He looked around but there was no one in earshot. “Mary was talking about the Hogsmeade weekends and hoping there was going to be one on her birthday “ the twenty-ninth of November.” He paused. Peter started to say something, but James kicked his leg, knowing that Remus needed a few moments to collect his thoughts. “It’s her coming of age, so obviously she wants it to be special, but ... oh dear God ... that’s the night of the full moon. How the hell am I going to explain that?”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading, and sorry about the wait.
Chapter 13 The Full Moon by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you Alyssa (Harry4Lif) for not only beta'ing this chapter, but for saving a copy when my laptop died.

Remus didn’t sleep well that night. In truth, he never did the night before the full moon, not since his friends had become Animagi, not when the thought of them transforming and keeping him company made the thrill of anticipation gnaw away at his gut. But this wasn’t about the full moon “ not this time “ not really.

“Tell her,” James had said as if it really were that simple. “If she’s as wonderful as you think, then she’ll be okay with it. We were.”

He knew he had to tell Mary. He knew he had to trust and hope that she’d understand, but he couldn’t ... not yet. James has no idea, he thought. He has no idea because he’s not me.

“I’m sure she’ll understand,” Peter had said and yet Remus thought there were doubts in his voice.

“Perhaps, I should just break up with her now, then I won’t have to tell her,” he’d suggested to the pair of them.

James had rolled his eyes. “For Merlin’s sake, Moony, there’s no danger of her finding out anything. Look, if you won’t tell her yet, then fine “ we can cover as usual.”

“But what about her birthday? Even if it’s not a Hogsmeade weekend, she’ll want to celebrate.”

“It’s over two months away. We’ll think of something. Come on, let’s go and visit Padfoot; I’m sure he’s seen enough of Martha by now.”

They’d trudged off to see Sirius, Remus hoping that Sirius would be able to come up with a solution to his problem, but Martha had stayed with him while they’d been there and Sirius had not asked her to leave.

Remus had resented her presence, but now felt bitterly ashamed. He couldn’t always be put first and Merlin knows his friends had done too much already to make his life bearable. James was right “ there were two months to go before Mary’s birthday. They would think of something.

Sirius joined them for breakfast, the bandage on his head falling rakishly over one eye. He grinned at them all and Remus felt a wave of relief flow over him.

They could go out tonight. He wouldn’t have to stay confined in the Shack.

“What are you thinking about?” asked Mary as she pinched some toast from his plate.

“Sirius,” Remus replied. “He’s looking disgustingly fit considering he had a cracked skull yesterday.” He turned to the others. “How come Madam Pomfrey let you out so quickly? I thought you’d stay in longer.”

“What and give Snivellus the satisfaction of thinking he’d really hurt me?” Sirius helped himself to more tea and then piled his plate with bacon, eggs and sausages. “I’m hungry! After you lot nicked my food last night, I was left with nothing except bloody grapes!

“I’m fine,” he added as he began eating, and then he looked directly at Remus. “Trust me, I’m up for anything.”

Remus smiled gratefully. He turned to Mary. “About Hogsmeade,” he began, “What would you like to do?”

Mary turned her face inward and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “Not bothered, really,” she answered, and with a glance at Sonia, she continued in undertone, “but is there any chance we could do something alone, rather than with everyone else?”

“Of course,” Remus replied. “I wasn’t actually planning on asking Peter and James along too. I doubt Sirius will want to double-date “ not after the last time.”

Mary laughed and Remus remembered the time when James and Phyllida had joined Sirius and his Ravenclaw girlfriend, Cherith, in the Three Broomsticks. It had been at the tail end of James and Phyllida’s relationship and the big row in the pub had ended with Phyllida throwing mead all over James “ or rather, it was supposed to be at James but landed on Cherith’s newly washed and Sleek-Eezied hair.

She stood up reluctantly. “I have to go, I have Divination first thing and Professor Barwick is becoming quite paranoid about latecomers at the moment. Perhaps we could talk about this later ... this evening, maybe?”

Remus swallowed then smiled smoothly. “I doubt I’ll be fit for anything this evening, I have a huge Arithmancy essay to start and I was going to work on it with James.”

“Okay,” Mary replied. “Well, I’ll see you at lunch, then.” She bent down and kissed him again. Remus smiled at her delicate touch on his arm.

This is easy. I can make an excuse. She doesn’t need to know anything ... not yet.

***


Remus was in his room, finishing his essay, when Peter walked in. The pair of them had an early dinner because Remus had to meet Madam Pomfrey before moonrise. James and Sirius were still down there, no doubt making the usual excuses for Remus. (‘He’s tired’ ‘he’s helping Peter’ or ‘he has a headache.’) Peter lay on his bed, looking nervous and Remus felt a sudden pang of gratitude towards his friend. Peter had always found it harder to Transfigure than the other two, and still struggled occasionally, but he’d never let Remus down. He always seemed to enjoy their nighttime adventures “ so why was he looking so worried now?

Packing away his grey-feathered goose quill and putting the stopper carefully back in his inkpot, Remus sat on the floor beside Peter.

“You all right?” he asked.

Peter nodded automatically and then stopped. He turned his head towards Remus. “Do you think Padfoot’s going to be all right for tonight?”

Remus felt his insides drop. “He says he’s fine. Why do you ask?”

“Oh,” said Peter and began pulling at the hem on his lapel. “No reason, really. It’s just that you said yesterday that Prongs and I wouldn’t be able to control you ... and that set me thinking. I mean ... what if his head is still bad? Would that make a difference?”

Remus swallowed. He didn’t want to be trapped in the Shack alone. He’d had two months of hell at home without them “ it seemed the months when he was with his friends set the months when they were apart into greater contrast. He’d never been as badly affected as that first month back home in July, but he hadn’t told his friends because he knew they’d have insisted on joining him for August. For Remus, living so near Muggles on the outskirts of a country town, that was a risk he could not take.

“I don’t know,” he said quietly. “Look, Wormy, if he can’t Transfigure, then ... well ... it doesn’t matter. I can just stay there alone.”

Peter nodded and Remus wondered if secretly he wanted to stay inside tonight. He was about to ask him when Sirius burst into the room, laughing at something.

“You nearly asked her again, didn’t you?” Sirius was saying to James.

“Shut up!” James was looking a bit ruffled and pink in the face. “Shouldn’t you be with Pomfrey now, Moony?”

“Don’t change the subject!” exclaimed Sirius. He assumed a pompous pose and started to pace the room. “I put it to you, Master Prongs that you are guilty “ yet again “ of attempting to ask out Miss Lillian Evans of Gryffindor. Messrs Moony and Wormtail have the right to know what a prat you were about to make of yourself.”

“It’s not Lillian,” protested James.

Sirius grinned wickedly. “That’s your defence, eh? Pathetic!” Sirius walked across to his bed and started pulling off his robes. “Why are you still here, Moony?”

Remus stood up. “All right, I ‘m going. I’m going. I was waiting for you two.” He paused. “Look, Padfoot, if this is too much for you then don’t worry about tonight. I can get through without you, I hope you know that.”

“Oh, don’t be so soft,” cried Sirius. “I thought this one was going to be special.” He straightened up, and looked directly at Remus. “I. AM. FINE. “ trust me.”

“You’re sure.”

“Look, do you want me to punch you?”

Remus grinned, relieved at Sirius’ reassurances. He turned to James. “I told Mary we were doing our Arithmancy essay tonight.”

James nodded. “No problem. See you later, mate.” Remus grinned again and then headed for the hospital wing.

***


“Cutting it a bit fine, Lupin,” declared Madam Pomfrey as he walked in.

“Sorry,” he muttered. Eyes downcast he spotted a pair of shoes “ attached, it seemed, to someone’s feet and legs. Remus looked up to see Professor Prewett standing by Madam Pomfrey’s desk. “Oh, err, hello, sir. Sorry, didn’t see you.”

Remus felt awkward, as if he’d interrupted something. Now he looked closely at the Matron, he could see her eyes glittering strangely as if she’d been crying. He wanted to leave her alone, but knew they now had very little time and she had to walk with him to the Whomping Willow.

“I could go by myself if you want?” Remus muttered, unsure exactly how much the new professor knew about him.

Catching his expression, Madam Pomfrey smiled slightly and, straightening her starched apron, she Summoned her cloak. “Come on. I’m sure Professor Prewett should be getting along now anyway.”

Remus glanced at the professor who looked suddenly wistful. Professor Prewett gave a half-smile and then got up. “As you wish, Poppy,” he said and walked slowly out of the room.

Remus shuffled his feet uncomfortably, but Madam Pomfrey touched him on the shoulder and steered him down the stairs. “Making your own way there indeed. I like to think I can be of some use to you, Lupin, even if I can’t cure you.”

He felt touched at her concern. This was a trip he’d taken so many times with her, and although she was very professional in her dealings with the pupils, she was always friendly with him on this walk. Tonight, however, she seemed distracted and they walked across the grounds of Hogwarts to the Whomping Willow largely in silence. He could see the sun had almost set now, and they sped to the entrance. Madam Pomfrey looked at Remus and he Immobilised the tree “ the way she’d taught him. She looked up at the sky.

“We’re a bit late tonight. I think I’ll have to leave you here. Is that all right?” she asked and Remus caught a note of apology in her voice.

“That’s fine,” he replied, trying not to sound weary. He smiled warmly at her. “I think I know the way by now, Madam Pomfrey.”

She did not laugh. “Take care, Remus. I’ll come and get you in the morning.”

She held out her hand and he gave her his wand. It was something that made him feel defenceless, but he knew if it weren’t kept safe then the werewolf would claw and bite it in two.

Remus slithered through the gap in the Whomping Willow’s roots and down the earthy slope that led to the low tunnel. He had to hurry now, hunched over, because he had to be sure he got to the Shack before moonrise. Then he could lock the door, transform and wait for his friends. As he went, he heard the tree moving above ground. Madam Pomfrey must have released it from the enchantment as soon as she was clear. Despite the knowledge that he was about to go through incredible pain again, that his body would take a battering that would last for days, he felt excited. His friends were coming; he would not be alone.

And then it began, that tearing, wrenching pain as he began to shake. He could feel his head lengthening and hair sprouting all over his body. The pain “ that old familiar pain “ tore at his innards. Remus closed his eyes and clenched his jaw, a futile gesture, as he tried to keep his mind intact. Oh, gods, get here soon, was his last coherent thought. The wolf broke through with a frightening intensity; he was lost.

Flinging itself at the walls, scratching at the windows, biting at the bolted doors “ anything to get out of this cell. The wolf, in frustration, turned on itself and began to taste its own blood, devour its own flesh and howl in pain.

***


“Got the Cloak?”

“Yep,” replied James. He turned to Peter who was sitting on his bed. “C’mon, Wormy, time to go.”

Peter took a deep breath, unsure this was the right thing to be doing. To him, Sirius looked pale and not quite his normal self. “Are you really all right, Padfoot?”

Sirius scowled. “I’m fine. Look do you want proof?” he asked belligerently.

Peter watched silently as Sirius transformed effortlessly into the bear-like dog that was really the only one of them that could keep Remus in check. Whilst Prongs was the fastest, Padfoot was definitely the strongest.

What am I? thought Peter.

“Wormy!” James interrupted his thoughts. He looked up to see Sirius back to his human form, studying the Map. “We need to get a move on. Moony’s been down there for ages.”

Peter took a deep breath and walked towards them. It wasn’t that he didn’t like doing this every month. Being an Animagus gave him a sense of belonging ... but ... he’d always wondered why he was a rat. Sirius had laughed about it, James had made some comment about the usefulness of being small, and Remus had said that rats were clever animals, yet Peter hated it. He felt worthless as a rat, unable to contribute anything except pressing the knot on the tree. And even that, they could do with a stick, like Snivellus had.

He followed them down the stairs, chatting quietly. James looked excited to be going out again and Sirius confident as always, but then he froze.

“Shit!” Sirius exclaimed in a whisper as he looked at the Map. “It’s Martha. I forgot she was going out to practise Quidditch with that prat in her year.”

“So?”

“So, Wormy,” explained Sirius as he pulled them both behind a pillar. “I’m supposed to be helping you in the library, not taking a stroll in the grounds. She might get a bit narky if she finds out I’m with you two.”

James raised an eyebrow. “So?” he asked repeating Peter’s question. “Narky girls don’t usually bother you.”

“Oh, shut up,” hissed Sirius.

Peter tried not to laugh as James made ‘under the thumb’ gestures above Sirius’ head. They quickly donned the Cloak and listened to Martha talking as she walked past.

“It’s not just the broom, though, Sander,” she was saying. “You’re flying really well. You must be in with a chance when James calls try-outs.”

“All down to you,” Lysander replied. Then he paused and took her hand. “I ... err ... don’t suppose ...”

Peter felt Sirius stiffen beside him and quickly grabbed his arm. “Padfoot, leave it!”

Looking across from under the Cloak, Peter saw Martha gently shake off Lysander’s hand. “That’s sweet of you, but I have a boyfriend.”

Lysander frowned. “Sirius Black, yeah?” Martha nodded. “He’s a conceited prick, you know that, Martha. It won’t last a term. He’s only after one thing.”

Automatically, James also grabbed Sirius’ and held him back. “He’s an arse,” whispered James. “And Martha isn’t agreeing. Look, she’s walked off.”

“Bloody git!” whispered Sirius angrily. “What did he mean by all that crap?”

“Merlin knows,” James replied smoothly. “But it’s not a good time to get into this. We should be with Moony.”

“Yeah, okay, let’s get to the Shack. Come on, Wormtail, let’s see you work your magic on the tree.” Sirius grinned at him “ no longer the glowering boy ready to hex a possible rival.

It was nine-thirty when they reached the tree. Remus would have been a wolf for nearly two hours and so Peter hurriedly transformed so he could stop the tree. It was always he that transformed first. Then Sirius would turn into Padfoot and the two of them would enter the tunnel in Animagi form. For James it was harder. A stag could not easily crouch like a dog, nor scurry like a rat, so James stayed in human form under his cloak until he got to the Shack, and then a split second after he unlocked the door to Remus’ prison, he became Prongs.

As always, the wolf hurled himself towards the open tunnel, desperate for freedom, thirsting for blood. Wormtail watched as Padfoot launched himself at the wolf, pinning him down until the wolfish mind started to recede and Moony appeared again. Panting, Padfoot released his hold and then Wormtail led the way out of the Shrieking Shack.

We’re the four Marauders again, he thought happily. He laughed to himself at his doubts from earlier. On nights like these when the night air was still warm, all was right in their world.

Prongs led the way to the Forbidden Forest. Steering clear of any recognisable paths, he cantered ahead, tossing his head proudly. Moony looking around at them all, sniffed at the air and then howled in delight at the moon lighting up the sky. Wormtail scurried on the ground, avoiding careless hooves and paws; then suddenly he stopped.

There was a sound from in the Forest, Wormtail saw Moony stiffen and something left his eyes. Padfoot whipped his head around. It was not the Centaurs, or Thestrals “ only one thing could turn Moony back to the wolf again, and that was the scent of Man. Wormtail ran to Prongs, waiting for Padfoot to edge closer, ready to pounce if Moony lost control ... but Padfoot didn’t.

In horror, Wormtail saw Padfoot had collapsed on the earth. He was having a convulsion and foaming from his mouth. He tried to yell, but the rat voice was barely a squeak, so he bit Prongs on the leg. Immediately alerted, Prongs darted towards the dog just as the wolf began to run in the opposite direction. Wormtail could see the chaos unfolding around him. He scurried towards Padfoot who appeared to be having a fit. In silent understanding, Prongs galloped towards the wolf, and Wormtail saw him edge in front, desperate to block the wolf’s path. The sound from the Forest got closer and to his utter dismay, Wormtail saw a man appear in the clearing. Prongs lowered his head and charged at the werewolf, pinning him down with antlers, and then the man produced a wand. Aiming straight at the wolf, he fired a stunning spell, but it missed. The wolf became enraged and tried to break free but Prongs, using every ounce of strength, held firm. The wizard wielded his wand again, and Wormtail saw the fury on the man’s face “ the intent to protect himself “ the intent to kill. He was helpless. Prongs could not see the danger and would not release his hold on his friend.

Lying on the dry earth, Padfoot heard the sound of spells in the air. His head was pounding and he felt woozy. Merlin, this wasn’t a good idea, he thought as he struggled to open his eyes. Somewhere beside him, he could hear Wormtail squeaking, feel his tiny claws on his leg and smelled something new ... something that should not be there. A man.

Padfoot opened his eyes, hoping against hope that this was not happening, that there was no one else there, that it was just his friends and he’d had another bang on the head. But Wormtail’s panic was not without cause. Hoisting himself up onto four feet, Padfoot took in the scene. There was no time for this. He could see a wizard about to hurl a hex, not caring which animal he hit ... and then Padfoot leapt. Grabbing the wizard’s wand in his mouth, he snarled and bared his teeth, trying to force the wizard to leave. You have to go, he tried to implore through his eyes. Get out, or you’ll be killed and my friend will be a murderer.

Whether it was Legilimancy or simply a large dose of fear, Padfoot didn’t know, but it had the desired effect. Without a backward glance, the wizard tore off into the night. Padfoot stayed in one spot, sniffing the air until all scent had gone, and then he trotted back to Prongs and Moony.

They did not need words. The blood on Prongs’ flank told them all they needed to know. This was not going to be a night of great adventures. This one was ending now. They had come close to disaster and had to return.

***


When his friends had left and the door had been fastened tight, Moony became the wolf once more. He bit and scratched and clawed himself, the violence more intense because it had been thwarted.

***


“Who the hell goes wandering around in the Forbidden Forest when it’s a full moon except a bloody nutcase?” asked James angrily once they were back in their dorm. The wound on his shoulder dripped blood onto the rug by his bed, but none of them cared, not now.

“Apart from us you mean,” replied Sirius mirthlessly. He lay down on his bed, holding his head in his hands.

Peter went to his Remus’ trunk and pulled out a bottle of Essence of Murtlap. He soaked a flannel in it, and carefully applied the compress to James’ shoulder. “Umm, Prongs ...” he said and then faltered.

“What?” replied James, snapping.

“Is this a bite?” Peter asked. Sirius dropped his hands and sat up on his bed. There was a long silence whilst the question sank in.

“No,” replied James after a while. He screwed up his face, trying to concentrate. “He didn’t bite me; it was a claw mark, that’s all.”

The atmosphere eased as James began to laugh. “A werestag that would be cool.”

Sirius joined in but Peter wasn’t laughing. “What happened out there, Padfoot?” he asked quietly. “You collapsed and had some sort of fit.”

“Don’t know,” replied Sirius, sighing, “but I’ve got one hell of a headache. It must be down to that crack on the head from yesterday, although Pomfrey said I was fine.”

“Ahh.” James looked across and Peter saw a look of guilt flash over his face. “That ... um ... could well be my fault. I sort of ... umm ...”

“Oh, spit it out, Prongs,” muttered Sirius.

James stood up, wincing as he did so. “I honestly didn’t think it would matter, but you collapsed when Lily and I were trying to get you to the hospital wing, so I ... um ... used a lightening charm on you.”

“B-b-but, Professor Prewett told you not to use magic,” protested Peter. “He said it could do more harm.”

James looked across, seemingly surprised that Peter was questioning him. “You weren’t there,” he said, sounding defensive. “Padfoot had collapsed and I wasn’t sure there was time for Lily to get to Madam Pomfrey and back. It was easier to take him ourselves.”

“Whoa!” exclaimed Sirius, a grin plastered across his face. “Are you telling us that Miss Evans actually agreed to this?”

“Err, yeah,” James said and beamed. “Well, in the end she did. I think she thought I was going to use you as a balloon or something ... Merlin, that reminds me! D’you remember in our first year when I accused you of nicking my Chocolate Frogs?”

Sirius snorted. “How can we forget the big sulk that was James Potter deprived of chocolate? What’s this got to do with Lily Evans though?”

“She nicked them!” exclaimed James. “She told me that the Gee-Gees broke into our room about a month after we got here.”

Sirius’ eyes lit up. “Ahh, revenge will be so sweet.”

Peter watched them both, open-mouthed. They had just escaped from a near calamitous incident in the Forest, and these two were joking around, planning the next prank. “Who do you think it was in the Forest?” he interrupted them mid-flow.

“Huh?” Sirius and James turned their eyes to Peter.

“The wizard in the Forbidden Forest,” he repeated, dragging them back to the horrific events of the night. “Who do you think he was?”

“Dunno,” said James sighing. He sat back down on his bed and dabbed at his shoulder with the flannel. “Not seen him before. He wasn’t a pupil, though.”

“So what was he doing in the Hogwarts grounds?” Peter asked intently.

Sirius looked grim. “I think we can assume it wasn’t to make daisy chains.” He paused and walked back to his bed. “I do, however, still have his wand.” He pulled something out from under his robes and smirked. “Cherchez le sorciere!”
End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed that.
Chapter 14 - Cold Light of Day by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to Alyssa (Harry4lif) and Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter.

~~~
“Oh dear Merlin, Remus,” declared Madam Pomfrey when she came to fetch him the next morning. “You haven’t been this bad for a long time.”

Remus lay on the floor of the Shrieking Shack. Since his friends had become Animagi, he rarely suffered severe after-effects from his transformation. In fact, he often exaggerated his injuries so that Madam Pomfrey would not become suspicious. Usually, he was sitting up and fully clothed when she came in, but this dawn he’d only managed to drape his ripped robes over his recumbent form.

“I was bad over summer,” he muttered, trying to cover his nakedness.

“I thought your body was adjusting,” she said, sighing. “Last year you seemed so much better.” She heaved him up. “A few days in the hospital wing, I think.”

He nodded pathetically and staggered to the door, hating the fact that she had to support him.

“Shall I conjure you a stretcher, Remus?” she asked, and Remus was grateful for the question. She was asking permission, giving him the opportunity to retain some dignity.

“I’m okay,” he mumbled. “I just need to walk slowly.”

As they carefully made their way through the tunnel, she spoke very little, just the odd comment about watching his head, or being mindful when she saw a tree root in the way. When they reached the entrance of the Whomping Willow she pressed the knot on the inside of the trunk. Madam Pomfrey levered herself out of the ground and then reached her hand down to Remus. Straining to lift him through, she stopped when a hand tapped her on the shoulder.

“Here,” said a voice. “Let me help.”

Remus grasped the hand and found himself looking into the freckled face of Fabian Prewett. “Thank you, sir,” he mumbled.

“You look dreadful, Lupin. Is it always this bad?” Fabian asked, sounding horrified.

“Don’t interrogate him,” Madam Pomfrey ordered, frowning at the professor. “Fab- Professor Prewett, we’re perfectly capable of getting back to the hospital wing now “ thank you.”

Remus stumbled onto the grass and fell awkwardly.

“Yes, it looks like it,” retorted Professor Prewett. He crouched down and lifted Remus up; then placing an arm under his shoulder, Fabian started to walk back to the castle. “Don’t be stubborn, Poppy. You’re not helping the patient. You should at least get him a stretcher.”

“I don’t want one,” Remus muttered fiercely and wrenched himself free. “I told her that, Professor.”

He stared into Fabian Prewett’s pale blue eyes and saw something there. Was it pity or fear? he thought.

“I don’t need your help, sir,” he said at last, adding bitterly, “I’ve had far worse.” Turning on his heel, he began to walk back to the castle by himself. He could hear Madam Pomfrey’s soft tread just behind him and then the heavier footsteps of his Defence professor as he followed them both.

Once in the hospital wing, he entered a corner room, occupied only by the single bed Madam Pomfrey kept prepared for him. In a vase on the bedside table, she’d placed large sprigs of lavender. The scent soothed him, and as he slipped between the cool cotton sheets, he felt some of his pain leave his limbs.

“Drink-up,” Madam Pomfrey ordered him gently. She was holding a large steaming mug of what he knew to be cocoa. Madam Pomfrey believed strongly in the restorative powers of chocolate, and would have laced the drink with a powerful sedative. Remus gulped at it, feeling the liquid scald his throat. The sweet scent of the chocolate made him gag - he’d long grown sick of the taste “ yet he drained the cup, knowing oblivion would soon be his.

***


“Where’s Remus?” asked Mary as James sat down at the breakfast table.

“Not well,” replied James smoothly. “We were working into the night on our Arithmancy essay and eating to keep us going.” He grinned at her. “I think he had too many Cauldron cakes, because he woke up this morning complaining of belly ache.”

“So why are you all right?” she asked suspiciously.

“I have an extremely tough constitution, Mary,” he replied as he ladled out a bowlful of creamy porridge. “I’m never ill.”

“Except when you’ve swallowed half the black lake,” retorted Lily as she slid in next to Mary. “Got enough porridge with your cream and sugar, Potter?”

James smirked at her. “I need energy. It was a long night.”

Lily stared at him and looked as if she were about to say something, but instead she turned her attention to the porridge cauldron.

“Are Sirius and Peter ill, as well?” Mary asked. “Only they’re not with you either.”

“We’re not joined at the hip,” James said scornfully. He saw Lily raise her eyebrows sceptically. “Sometimes, Evans, I like to do things alone. Hogsmeade, for instance, I don’t always go there with them.” He took a breath and cleared his throat. “So, Lily-”

“Oy! Prongs,” bellowed Sirius from the door. “Why did you go without us? We said we wouldn’t be long.”

James closed his eyes and grimaced, as Sirius and Peter approached. “Padfoot, a short time for you in the bathroom can end up being an hour while you try to fix your hair. I was hungry.”

“Morning, girls,” Sirius greeted them. He ruffled James’ still wet hair. “Don’t listen to the boy. He spends far too long trying to flatten that mop these days.” He looked around. “Where’s Martha?”

Mary shrugged. “Been and gone, Sirius. I’d forgotten how hard O.W.L. year is. She grabbed some toast and went off to the library.” She turned back to James. “I hope Remus is all right for Hogsmeade this weekend.”

James glanced sideways at the other two. None of them had seen Remus yet, but they knew he’d be worse than normal. “Um, well, he was pretty ill this morning, and was spewing through the night ... so I’m not sure. What do you think, Peter?”

Peter drank a swig of his tea “ James knew he was giving himself time to think “ and then he assumed a bland expression. “He looked pretty pale when I took him in and was clutching his stomach. Madam Pomfrey wasn’t sure if it was over-eating or something else.”

Glancing at Mary, to see how she was taking this in, James’ attention was again caught by Lily who was staring at them, a dubious expression on her face. She caught his eye and, raising one eyebrow, she turned away.

Back in their dorm, James picked up the wand the stranger had dropped in the forest and examined it. Apart from a bit of mud, it was obviously well cared for. He frowned in concentration, missing the sound of Sirius and Peter as they came through the door.

“What are you thinking, Prongs?” asked Peter as he approached him.

James looked at him. “D’you remember when Remus had Snivelly’s wand? ”Both Peter and Sirius nodded. “I cast Priori Incantatum.” He shuddered involuntarily, remembering the menace of the other boy’s intent.

“You want to try that with this, yeah?” asked Sirius.

“Mmm. It might help us find out who he was and why he was in the forest,” James replied thoughtfully. He turned to Sirius. “It’s your prize, Padfoot. You do it.”

Sirius grinned and stepped forwards, removing the wand from James’ grasp and placing it on the table. “Priori Incantato!" he intoned softly.

A silvery shape emerged from the edge of the wand that they recognised as a stunning spell. James sighed but Sirius held his wand closer and again uttered, “Priori Incantato!”

This time a shape emerged “ not a curse, or a charm, but what looked like a large bunch of flowers. “Orchideous!” they heard a voice hiss from the wand. Sirius started laughing. “I think our mystery wizard is a ladies’ man,” he said, grinning. “That is one huge bunch of flowers. Either he needed to apologise or he was trying to make a good impression.”

James watched as the flowers disintegrated. “If you hadn’t got to him, Padfoot, you’d have been laying flowers on my grave,” he interjected solemnly. “I think we sailed a bit too close to the wind last night.”

There was a small cough behind him and James noticed Peter looking at him, nodding.

“I think that’s what you were trying to tell us yesterday, Wormy,” James said and sighed. “Sorry, we should have listened to you.”

***

After a good six hours of dreamless sleep, Remus was awakened by a small sound at the door. Opening the one eye that wasn’t cut, he saw the door open but no one appeared. “Come in, why don’t you,” he murmured.

In reply, James slipped off the cloak and grinned at him. “Hello, Moony. How you doing?”

“Not bad,” Remus replied. He tried to sit up too quickly and bit his lip to stop himself from crying out. “Scrap that. I feel dreadful.”

“Sorry about that,” James muttered. He sat on the chair by Remus’s bed and leant forwards.

“Why are you sorry?” asked Remus as he slowly levered himself into position. “It’s not your fault that Padfoot collapsed, and from what I remember, you held me back from attacking that man.” He paused. “I’m not imagining that bit, am I?”

“No,” James replied, and then added hesitantly, “There was a man there.” Remus suddenly looked very scared. “No, it’s okay. He got away. Padfoot scared him off.” James looked at the floor wondering how to continue.

“What’s the matter then?” Remus asked, relief apparent in his voice.

James looked around the room, at the walls devoid of any pictures and the narrow window that looked out over the Entrance Hall forecourt. “This room is really grim, Moony. You should put up some posters or something.”

“James, don’t change the subject.”

James looked away from the window and back to Remus. His frank brown eyes were staring into his. He swallowed. “I used magic on Padfoot when I took him to the hospital wing. I think that’s why he collapsed,” admitted James. “I’m ... erm ... sorry.”

Remus closed his eyes. James sat there not saying another word, waiting for Remus to say something ... anything.

“Forget it,” Remus said at last. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Moony, it’s my fault. I should have told you and the others, but I was only thinking about us having fun again,” protested James.

Remus opened his eyes and raised a hand to his brow, sweeping a lock of hair out of his eyes. “Why did you use magic on him?” he asked mildly.

James sighed. “Sirius had collapsed. I thought it was best to get him to the hospital wing quickly, so I used a Lightening Charm. I should have listened to Lily “ sorry.”

Remus laughed slightly. “Stop saying sorry. Prongs, it doesn’t matter. You don’t know if the magic did anything to him. It could equally have been an after-effect of that crack on the head. I shouldn’t have agreed to you lot coming out last night, but I was just as desperate to get back to the forest.”

James felt his shoulders relax and he sighed helplessly. “Merlin, you’re taking this well. We won’t make the same mistake again, I promise.”

Remus gave a twisted sort of smile and lay back down on the bed. “We’ll make other mistakes “ we always do.”

James chuckled ruefully. “Yeah, we will. Hey, has Pomfrey said when you can get out?” he asked, adding teasingly, “Mary was asking about Hogsmeade ...”

Remus groaned and closed his eyes. “She wants me to stay in till Sunday, I think.”

“Oh, shame,” said James inadequately. “I’ll... er ... tell Mary that you’re really quite ill then ... infectious even.”

There was a snort from the bed. “I have no intention of doing as she asks, Prongs. I’m relying on you three to get me out of here.”

***


That afternoon, after lunch, James made his way to Arithmancy. As he walked, he kept his eyes peeled for Lily, who was the only other Gryffindor taking the subject apart from Remus. He smiled to himself, wondering if she’d sit with him as she had done in Potions. Although, that wasn’t strictly true; it had been Remus she’d joined in Potions “ not him. As he approached the classroom door, James saw Snape hovering around at the entrance. He gripped his wand tightly, ready either to defend himself or curse the Slytherin whose last hex had sent Sirius straight to the hospital wing.

“Lupin hasn’t made it, then,” muttered Snape as James glared at him. “Did he even scrape an O.W.L. in this?”

“He got an E, actually, Snivelly, and is taking this class to N.E.W.T. like me,” James replied, feeling himself grow angry at Snape’s scorn of Remus’ abilities. “Surprised you’re here. Arithmancy isn’t exactly prized among your lot, is it?” He looked into the classroom. “Yeah, as I thought: four Ravenclaws, two Hufflepuffs and no Slytherins.”

“So, where is he then?” Snape asked and then smiled. “Oh, of course, the hospital wing. What’s wrong this time? Mysterious accident involving a flight of stairs? Non-fatal Dragon Pox? Attacked by the Bowtruckle Queen?”

James whipped his head around and stared hard into Snape’s glittering black eyes. “What did you say?” he asked softly. “What about Bowtruckles?”

“Nothing,” muttered Snape, and he looked away.

James stepped closer towards him and was about to raise his wand, when he heard running footsteps echoing through the corridor. He turned, saw Lily approach, and stepped away from Snape.

Lily faltered and pursed her lips. “Fighting already,” she said disapprovingly.

“Not at all,” replied James calmly. “Sniv “ Snape was just telling me something interesting about Bowtruckles.”

He didn’t mistake the look of alarm that flared in Lily’s eyes and peered at her curiously. Hastily, she tugged at his arm and pulled him into the classroom.

“Come on, Potter, let’s get a seat.” James didn’t move, switching his attention from her to Snape and then back to her again. “James, come on,” she implored. “Leave it alone, please.

He allowed himself to be pulled away, but when she turned away, he stared at Snape. “It’s not over,” he mouthed.

He brooded throughout the lesson, barely taking in a word of Professor Mycroft’s lecture. Lily, he noticed, wouldn’t catch his eye, but kept giving him sidelong glances. She was doodling on her parchment, not taking notes as she usually did.

“Snape mentioned Bowtruckles,” he hissed in an aside to her. “How does he know about that?”

“Everyone knows that you were hurt attempting the Bowtruckle Challenge,” she muttered when the professor’s back was turned.

“He mentioned the queen,” James said. “No one knew I was attacked by the queen except my friends.”

“Potter, is there a problem?” called the professor.

“No, sir,” James replied. He chewed his fingernail, frowning as he thought.

“Well, get on with your work then, and leave Miss Evans alone,” barked Professor Mycroft. He picked up a book and threw it in James’ direction. For once, the professors’ aim was accurate, and the book hit James squarely on the shoulder. James yelped.

“What’s the matter?” asked Lily. She put down her quill and turned to face him.

James clutched at his shoulder, feeling the scar from last night’s clawing rip open. “Nothing, I’m fine.”

“You’re bleeding!” Lily exclaimed. “Sir, James’ shoulder is bleeding.”

“What?” Professor Mycroft demanded in exasperation. He strode over to where James and Lily were sitting, peeled away James’ hand and then with one finger gently pulled at James’ shirt collar to reveal the wound. “What the blazes caused that? It looks like you’ve been clawed by something.”

“Quidditch injury, sir,” James replied smoothly. “Gryffindor team practise, my Seeker has very long fingernails. It’s fine. ”

Two Ravenclaw girls began to laugh, but Lily stared at him, her eyes narrowed. She waited until Professor Mycroft had walked off and picked up her quill again.

‘You haven’t had a practise yet,’ she scrawled on her parchment. ‘You haven’t even held the try-outs.’

‘What are you, the team coach, or something?’ James scrawled back.

‘I just know you’re lying about that injury and also about other things.’

James pulled a face. “What do you mean?” he whispered.

Lily glanced up at the professor who was now leaning over Jacob Bennett’s parchment and pointing out his errors. “Our Arithmancy essay isn’t due until next Friday, so why was Remus in such a hurry to finish it last night?” she murmured, leaning closer to him.

James shivered, unsure whether his discomfort was caused by her question or the fact that she was so near he could feel her warm breath on his neck. “Leave it, Lily,” he muttered as he pulled away.

“If Remus is seeing another girl, then I’ll hex you so badly you won’t sit straight on a broomstick again,” she said fiercely.

James burst out laughing. “You think...” He clutched his sides. “You think, Remus “” He couldn’t continue, but collapsed in a snorting heap on his desk.

“POTTER! I will not tell you again!” shouted Professor Mycroft.

“S-sorry, sir,” James said, wiping tears of relief from his eyes. He realised since breakfast that he’d been worrying about Lily who had been eyeing them all with suspicion that morning.

When the bell went, he was still snorting with laughter and Lily, although she was scowling, didn’t storm off but waited whilst he packed his bag up. “So, what were you doing last night then?” she asked.

“Nothing that involved another girl, Lily,” he said, chuckling. “We wouldn’t dare.”

As they walked out of the door, he saw Snape staring at them both. Lily stared back at him and then started. She looked from Snape’s face to James’ shoulder and her brow furrowed in concentration.

Shit, James thought. Has she worked this out? He looked over to where Snape was glowering at the both of them. “Bowtruckles!” he shouted. “What were you going to tell me about them, Snivelly?”

Lily jerked her head up and pulled on his arm again. “Leave it alone, Potter.” She repeated her words from before class.

James glared at Snape and then lowered his head. “I will,” he murmured in her ear, “if you don’t tell Mary that Remus wasn’t doing an essay with me last night.”

Her green eyes met his. He saw suspicion struggling with loyalty to her friend. “I promise you, Lily, that Remus was not with another girl last night,” he whispered sincerely.

“Okay,” she said slowly. “But you leave Sniv... er... Snape alone, now.”

James grinned down at her. “A pleasure,” he declared, directing his comments across to Snape.

***


“Snivelly definitely mentioned the Bowtruckle queen?” queried Sirius.

The three boys were walking up the moving staircases. James looked over his shoulder, checking to see where Lily was. “Yeah, and then he shut up. He obviously knew he’d said too much.”

“I didn’t see anyone else,” said Peter slowly. “I would have noticed when I was running for Madam Pomfrey.”

“You were on ground level though, and if Snivelly saw the queen attacking me, he must have been further up.” James narrowed his eyes and stopped to think. Pupils behind banged into him, but James didn’t move on. He touched his face and then closed his eyes again, trying to recapture that day. His head jerked back involuntarily as he tried desperately to remember.

“It’s no good,” he said at last. “I don’t remember seeing anyone else.”

“We’ll come back to it,” Sirius muttered. “If he was there, then we’ll find out, Prongs. Meanwhile ...” He grinned wickedly. “We have to work out how to get Moony out of hospital and into Hogsmeade.”

“Piece of cake,” replied James, smiling broadly. “Cloak, Polyjuice Potion, and some of Remus’ hair. Then all we need is a willing volunteer, eh, Wormy?”

“Why me?” Peter demanded indignantly. “Why do I have to miss Hogsmeade?”

“Because I’m going with Martha,” Sirius explained smoothly, “so it’s not going to be me stuck in the hospital wing.” He turned to James. “Dunno what your excuse is, Prongs.”

“It’s my Cloak,” replied James. “I’m not letting you lot loose with it when I’m not there.”

“You always pull that one,” complained Peter. He started walking up the stairs. “I don’t want to do it, all right. I’ve been looking forward to Hogsmeade and it’s your fault he ended up so badly injured.”

Sirius laughed. “He does have a point, Prongs. And it’s not as if you’re meeting anyone there,” he added slyly.

James kicked at the step and stomped up the stairs, his brain whirring furiously. He didn’t speak to the others until he reached the Portrait door. Then he smiled. “Forget the Polyjuice Potion. All Moony needs to do, is convince Madam Pomfrey that he’s fit enough to leave.”

“But you said he was looking awful,” Peter persisted.

“He was, but that was before he had a dose of my mum’s own brand of Pepper-Up Potion, laced with Firewhisky.” He paused and grinned again. “Sorted my dad out all the time when he got hit by Bludgers “ even the ones thrown at close range by her.”

***


On Saturday morning, before breakfast, James sneaked back up to the hospital wing with a flask of Pepper-Up Potion under his arm. Spying Madam Pomfrey at the far end of the ward, he quickly slid into Remus’ room and removed the Cloak.

“Morning, young Moony,” he said cheerfully.

Opening his eyes, Remus gazed blearily at James. “Is it morning?” he asked, yawning. “I don’t think I’ve had enough sleep. Come back later. It’s too early for me to leave, anyway.”

“Nope, I can’t do that,” James replied and grinned at him. “Listen, mate, our idea is that you leave here with permission, okay?”

“Huh?” Remus said and shook his head. “Did I just hear right? You want Madam Pomfrey to release me.” He cleared his throat scornfully. “Don’t know if you’ve noticed, Prongs, but I look like I’ve been left for dead by a ... a ... well, a werewolf, I suppose. She’s not going to let me out.”

James pulled out the flask and set it down before Remus. “Swig some of that, Moony and you’ll be walking out of here, no problem.” Remus looked at it dubiously. “Honest, this isn’t dodgy. It’s my mum’s Pepper-Up Potion recipe. It’s not going to cure you, but it should numb the pain for a while.”

James stopped talking and sat at the foot of the bed. “Look, if you’re in too much pain, then stay here. Mary will understand, and there are other Hogsmeade weekends.”

“No... no,” Remus muttered. He stared straight into James’ eyes. “I want to go today. I can deal with the pain, Prongs. It’s other people who don’t think I can, okay.”

“Okay,” James agreed slowly. He handed the flask over. “Take a capful about half an hour before Madam Pomfrey comes to check on you. It’s strong stuff, so don’t take too much. I had better go back to the Tower now. It’s nearly breakfast.”

“You’re not staying to make sure I don’t swig the whole lot then?” asked Remus as James draped the Cloak over his shoulders rendering his body invisible and leaving just a head floating near the door.

James snorted and then pulled the hood over his head. “You’re not Padfoot; I doubt you’d do anything quite so stupid.”

***


Sauntering along the corridors and back to Gryffindor Tower, James’ mind drifted away from Remus and Pepper-up Potion and towards Lily. She’d been friendly yesterday and despite his quizzing her endlessly about Snivelly, she’d seemed genuinely concerned about his shoulder injury. He frowned, wondering if she’d tell Mary that she knew they hadn’t been doing an essay, or whether she trusted “ if not him “ then at least Remus enough to know he wouldn’t lie without good cause. Uttering the password to the Fat Lady, who was annoyed at being woken up so early, he paused by the notice board. Someone, probably McLaggan, had defaced his try-outs notice. He wasn’t sure what to do about Preston. He was a good Beater, and before he’d been appointed captain, he’d been a team player, but last year had almost proved disastrous for Gryffindor. If James dropped him, it would look petty, but would he be able to captain McLaggan this year?

Bringing out his wand, he cleaned the ink off the notice, and reattached it to the board.

“You’re up early,” said a yawning voice coming down the stairs. James turned to see Mary plodding down the stairs.

“I went to see Remus,” James replied and grinned at the sudden interest that sparked across her face. “He looks better today, so should be free for whatever you have in mind for Hogsmeade.”

Mary raised an eyebrow. “I might not have anything in mind,” she said archly. “Not unless he can tell me what he’s really been up to.”

“Wh- what do you mean?” stuttered James.

Mary walked across to the hearth and poked at the dying fire with a poker. Briefly, an ember burst into flame, but then it died out. “I went up to see him last night after tea, but guess what, James?”

“What?” he asked nervously, his mind thinking quickly.

“He wasn’t there, was he,” she stated coldly. “So, I don’t know who you’ve been visiting, but it can’t have been Remus.”

“He’s in a side room,” James said quickly. “He’s not in the main ward, Mary. He was being too sick, so Madam Pomfrey kept him away from the others. Merlin, the smell was awful... but... er ... he’s better now. Not at all sick...” He trailed off as he caught Mary staring at him in disbelief.

“Lily has been very evasive too,” she spat back at him.

“What’s Lily got to do with this?” James asked in amazement.

“You tell me, James. All I know is that when I asked her about her Arithmancy essay, and if she got into trouble for not starting it, she looked very shifty. I don’t know what’s going on, but if Remus doesn’t want to see me anymore then tell him to bloody well tell me instead of hiding.” Her voice broke as she choked back something that sounded like a sob.

James stepped across the floor and sat in the armchair opposite her. Gently, he touched her on the knee. “We lied about the essay, Mary. It’s my fault. I had some idea for a prank and it went wrong. Remus didn’t even want to come along, but he did and then he got hurt.”

Mary sniffed. “How badly hurt?”

“It’s to do with the Whomping Willow,” James explained, thinking to himself that he wasn’t exactly lying. He pulled down his shirt collar. “Look, it got me too.”

Mary stared at his shoulder and then looked at his face. “You went back there?” she breathed. James nodded. “After Davey Gudgeon nearly lost an eye, and you almost died going into that tunnel last year. Merlin, James! Are you completely mad?”

He grinned at her and she whacked him with a cushion. “Risk your own life, not Remus’ next time,” she yelled as she continued to batter him. “You have absolutely no idea what I’ve been thinking. I thought that girl in Hufflepuff had got her claws into him “ Oh, I could kill you, Potter!”

“Okay, okay,” shouted James, still laughing. “I promise next time I’ll throw myself in front of the tree.”

“NEXT TIME!” screeched Mary. Then she stopped mid hit, her arm raised, and started giggling. “We have an audience, James.”

James looked around to see a small crowd of first year girls and boys who must have been woken by the noise.

“Hello, Rodney,” James called cheerily to the only one he recognised. “Let me introduce Mary Macdonald who is demonstrating how not to get back on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.”
End Notes:
Sorry, sorry, sorry, for the wait, Real life and Original fiction got in the way.
Chapter 15 - Hogsmeade by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you to Kara (Karaley Dargen) for beta'ing this chapter. Also thank you to Terri (mudbloodproud) for an AIM chat about Sirius.

~~~
“Is he set?” Sirius asked as James walked back into their dorm. His hair was damp from the shower and he had an array of T-shirts laid out on the bed.

“Uh-huh,” James replied. “I gave him the potion and he’s going to take it in about an hour.” He walked over to his bed and started searching in his trunk for his moneybag. “Where are we going today?”

Selecting a dark grey T-shirt and pulling it over his head, Sirius snorted. “Well, I’m taking Martha to Madam Puddifoot’s. I don’t know about you because you’re not going anywhere near the place.”

James mock-scowled. “Merlin, ditching your mates for a girl. Not on, Padfoot, not on. What are Wormy and I supposed to do?”

Sirius shrugged. “Get yourself girlfriends and stop chasing after girls that don’t fancy you.” He grinned at them both. “C’mon, there must be some third years that haven’t knocked you back yet.”

Throwing a ball of dirty socks at Sirius’ head, Peter picked up his wash bag and walked out the room.

“What’s wrong with him?” Sirius raised his eyebrows. “It was only a joke.”

“Yeah, he’s a bit touchy about girls at the moment, haven’t you noticed? Doesn’t help that you and Moony are both paired up.”

Sitting on his bed and putting on a clean pair of socks, Sirius pulled a face. “That’s not our fault, is it? You both encouraged Moony to go out with Mary, and I’m not going to ditch Martha just to keep you two sweet.”

“Yeah, I know that,” James said and yawned. “And we don’t seriously expect you to ditch her for us. Just don’t rub his nose in it, that’s all I’m saying.”

Peter walked back in the room and began getting dressed. “I need to go to the Owlery after breakfast and send Mum a letter,” he said casually.

“Sure,” James replied. “Which owl are you using? Some of those school owls are well past their best. We should get our own, really.”

“Lily said I could borrow Snitch,” Peter mumbled, not looking James in the eye. “I asked her last night and she said it was fine.”

“You’re getting on well with her at the moment,” Sirius said slyly, with a sidelong glance at James.

Peter pulled on his trousers and then turned to face both of them. “She’s friendlier to all of us this year, don’t you think?”

“Yeah,” mused James. “I’ve noticed that.” There was a pause as he finally pulled out his moneybag and, fishing inside it, pulled out a couple of Galleons, which he chucked at Sirius.

“What’s this for?” Sirius asked, looking bewildered.

“I forgot to tell you, but when you were in the hospital wing, Mum sent me some dosh and told me to share it with you,” James replied, trying to sound casual.

“Why is your mum sending money to me?” Sirius asked quietly.

“She sent it to both of us, Padfoot,” James said vaguely. “It’s probably ‘cause she knows you’re seeing Martha. She liked her; you know that. Yeah, there was definitely something in her letter about treating your girlfriend.”

Sirius studied the money in his hand and then tossed it back to James. “I’ve got money,” he said slowly. “I don’t need a handout.” Then he stood up and walked to the door, adding curtly, “I’m going for breakfast, see you there.”

As the door closed, James sighed. “Why is he so stubborn? Merlin knows what he’s doing for money.”

“He brought some from home,” Peter replied. “But I don’t know what he’ll do when it runs out.” Tying up the laces on his shoes, he turned to James. “You should have known he wouldn’t accept it, and saying it was from your mum was so obviously a lie.”

“It was from her!” declared James, reddening. A sceptical look crossed Peter’s face. “Ah, all right, it wasn’t. But short of hiding it in his robe pocket, I didn’t know what else to do.”

Peter yawned. “He’ll think up a scheme to make money, you know that. Now let’s get breakfast. I’m starving.”

***


Just as breakfast was drawing to a close, Remus turned up. He looked pale and was limping a little bit, but he grinned broadly at James as he sat between him and Mary.

“Hi,” he began nervously. “Sorry, I’ve not been around. Are we still on for Hogsmeade?”

Mary narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips. “That rather depends on what you’ve been in the hospital wing for.”

“Didn’t they tell you?” Remus said, injecting a note of confusion in his voice. “I was ill. James and I were doing an essay and eating cakes, and then I was sick everywhere. Merlin, it was awful. I’m much better now though ... don’t feel at all ...” He caught a steely look in her eye. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Because I know you weren’t being sick, Remus Lupin. James told me the truth.” She picked up a mug of tea and looked away from him.

“He did?” Remus yelped in alarm.

James grinned at him. “I’ve promised Mary I won’t dare you to climb the Whomping Willow again. I’ll ... er ... make Sirius go instead.”

“It explains the scratches on your face,” she replied. “But honestly, Remus, why lie and say you were being sick?” She put down her mug of tea, and said, “I’m not going to want to go on a date if I think you’re going to spew everywhere, but cuts and bruises ...” She giggled, and James heard her whisper, “I can always kiss them better.”

Remus smiled sheepishly and slipped his hand into hers. Across the table, James noticed Lily watching them closely. Remus smiled at her too, but she didn’t smile back. Instead, she turned her head away and began to talk to Sonia.

“Have you heard from Phyllida recently?” Lily asked.

Sonia shook her head. “Not since Monday; Jacob had a letter from her yesterday, but it didn’t say any more than mine. She’s still at St Mungo’s, and I don’t know when she’ll be back.” She swallowed. “Or even if she’ll come back.”

Peter, sitting opposite, leant across to her. “Why wouldn’t she come back? Is she very badly injured?”

“N-no.” Sonia hesitated. “But I’m not sure she wants to. She’s lost her mum, Peter. She has no one now.”

“She’s got you,” he said and blushed slightly. “And Jacob, and all of us.”

“It’s not the same, though, is it?” Sonia said scathingly. “I mean that’s her mum who’s died. Family’s more important than anything.”

A silence descended on the table, and the light-hearted mood that Remus’ appearance had evoked disappeared. Peter looked downcast and didn’t look at Sonia again.

“Professor McGonagall says Gryffindors are a family,” Lily mused and cast a glance at James. “You, Potter, are certainly as irritating as my sister.”

“And you, Evans, are turning into my great-aunt Edna “ even down to the hairy chin,” he retorted, playing along with the joke.

“Just, for Merlin’s sake, don’t any of you turn into my mum,” declared Sirius. He gave Martha a peck on the cheek and then stood up. “I’m going to make myself even better looking ... if that’s possible.” He ducked as James threw a half-chewed piece of toast at him, and started laughing. “I’ll see you in the common room later.”

Martha lifted her head from the Quidditch magazine she was flicking through and nodded.

“I thought we’d go to the Hog’s Head and get rampagingly drunk on Firewhisky all afternoon,” Sirius added.

“Uh-huh, sounds good,” Martha replied as she read an article. She shook her head. “Sorry, what did you say?”

Sirius looked put out. “Nothing. I’ll meet you in half an hour, yeah?”

“I’ll come with you, Padfoot,” Peter muttered, seemingly anxious to get away from Sonia, who was still brooding. “Prongs?”

“Er, not yet,” James replied. He helped himself to another cup of tea. “I’ll be up in a minute. Martha, can I have my magazine back?”

“Mmm, in a minute. There’s a brilliant article in here about the new Nimbus,” she replied vaguely. “Do you think, Mary, if I beg Dad really, really hard, he’ll get me one for Christmas?”

Mary leant across the table to look at the magazine. “Possibly the next five Christmases and birthdays combined. You’d have better luck finding a rich boyfriend.”

“Don’t look at me.” Sirius was still hovering by the table, trying to pinch James’ last piece of bacon. “James is the rich one.”

Martha looked up and considered them both. “Ah well, I’ll stick to my old broom.” She tossed the magazine back to James and then stood up and hugged Sirius. “Are you really taking me to the Hog’s Head? That sounds cool.”

Sirius stared down at her in amazement. “You really want to go there? It’s ... it’s horrible, Martha. I was thinking Madam Puddifoot’s ...” He trailed off as she looked at him strangely. “Er, what’s wrong with Madam Puddifoot’s?”

“Stunningly unoriginal for a first date, Sirius,” interjected Mary sagely. “Besides, Remus is taking me there.”

“Am I?” Remus questioned.

“Yes, because I like it,” Mary decreed, “and as you haven’t been sick, you can eat as many cakes as you want.”

“Sounds like that’s decided, Moony,” muttered James from behind his magazine. “I wouldn’t argue.” Lifting his head up, he saw Peter by the door waiting for Sirius to finish his talk with Martha. Peter was looking at Sonia and Lily as they finished their drinks. An idea started to form in James’ head. He was sure Peter would be up for it.

***


Half an hour later, when Sirius and Remus had left with the Macdonald sisters, James and Peter wandered down the staircases and across the Entrance Hall.

“What, so we’re just going to follow them in?” Peter asked a sceptical expression in his voice. He stopped by the front door and stared at James.

James scanned the stairs and the long drive outside. “No, we’ll just happen to walk in with them. We’ll get chatting, lay on the charm “ okay, scrap that “ we’ll talk to them both as friends and then suggest going to the Three Broomsticks for a drink.”

“And when they say no?” Peter was still sceptical. “Sonia’s already made it pretty clear she’s not interested in me, and Lily turned you down last year. Why would she suddenly agree to go on a date now?”

“Because, my little ratty friend, this isn’t a date. Well, it won’t look like a date. It’ll be a chat about Phyllida because we’re concerned about her.” James picked at some mud that was on his wand. “And that’s not a lie, is it? I mean we’re all worried about Phyll, aren’t we?”

“S’pose,” Peter replied. He looked over James’ shoulder and hissed, “Sonia’s coming now; Lily’s just behind.”

“Play it cool, you jerk!” James muttered back and began strolling down the drive. After walking for a minute or so, he turned around and feigning surprise called, “Evans, hello! Peter and I were just talking about you.”

Lily sighed. “What now, Potter?”

James and Peter waited for the two girls to catch them up. “Well, not just you,” James began smoothly. “It was Sonia, really. Peter was thinking about Phyll and wondering what we could do to persuade her to come back. I mean, Hogwarts has to be the best place for her, surely?”

Lily opened her eyes wide. “Um, yes, that’s what I think, actually. She has to be better off with us than with strangers. Sonia and I were thinking about asking Professor McGonagall for permission to visit“”

“We thought,” interrupted Sonia, “that if we took along presents and cards from everyone then she’d see how much we’re missing her.”

James nodded. They’d got to the outskirts of Hogwarts now and were walking briskly down the winding, stony path to Hogsmeade. “Mmm, good idea. You could get Martha to draw a card; she did a great one for me when I was in hospital last year.” He paused, adding for Lily’s benefit because he was sure witches appreciated these things, “The personal touch made it much better than something bought for me.”

Lily nodded. “We’ll go to Honeydukes and buy her some of her favourite sweets, then walk to the Post Office. They sell fancy paper.” She stopped walking as she went over things in her head. “Sonia, shall we get her some books or magazines as well?”

“We’ll help!” Peter butted in. “Why not let us go to Honeydukes, whilst you get the other things and then we’ll meet somewhere.” He glanced at James who smiled encouragingly. “How about the Three Broomsticks? We could have a drink in there and then talk about how we get everything to her.”

James saw Sonia give Lily a meaningful look. With a slight shrug and an inkling of a smile, Lily nodded. “We’ll see you there in an hour,” she said as she linked arms with Sonia.

Yes! James thought as he tried not to grin inanely. Instead, he turned to Peter. “Right, let’s get to Honeydukes, buy all the things that girls like so they think we’re caring, sensitive types, and then run to the Three Broomsticks and get a decent table.”

“What happens then?” Peter asked nervously.

“We talk about Phyll for a while, buy some more drinks, and then very slowly, you start talking more to Sonia and I turn my attention to Lily. Don’t whatever you do, start using any of Sirius’ chat up lines. Just be friendly.” He grinned broadly. “Can’t fail.”

“It’s not really a date though,” Peter complained.

“Not exactly,” James admitted. “But by the end of today, they might just think that we’re two reasonably nice blokes and not jerks.” He paused and started trying to smooth down his hair. “We might even get to walk them back to Hogwarts.”

They took their time in Honeydukes. James decided that they needed to be very selective about the type of sweets Phyllida would enjoy. He seemed to remember that chocolate-dipped cherries were a particular favourite of hers and selected an extravagantly wrapped box complete with a large purple velvet bow.

“Isn’t that a bit ... er ... romantic?” Peter queried. “Phyll might think you want to go out with her again.”

James studied the box carefully. Covered in pink love-hearts, he shuddered at the prospect of Phyllida “ or, even worse, Lily “ misconstruing the gift. “Merlin, thanks for that,” he muttered. He replaced the box and picked up a far more utilitarian one. “Cream and brown packaging “ no one can get the wrong idea about that. Right, what else?”

“Not Cockroach Clusters. She hates them.”

James grinned as he remembered Phyllida’s horror when he bought her those particular sweets on their first date. She’d bitten into it, tried to swallow but had ended up spitting it into a handkerchief. He sighed. “I hope this works, Wormy.”

“Yeah, I hope we get a date out of this as well,” Peter replied as he scooped up some free samples of toffee flies.

James bit into a caramel slug that oozed onto his chin, and said thoughtfully, “Actually, I meant that I hope Phyll does return to Hogwarts. When she wasn’t yelling at me, we got on well.”

***


Laden with boxes that not only contained Phyllida’s favourite sweets but also some extras that they’d bought for themselves, James and Peter walked slowly to the Three Broomsticks. Stopping in front of Madam Puddifoot’s, they spied Remus and Mary sharing a large slice of strawberry flan. Pressing his nose against the window, James started to pull faces until he caught their attention. Remus dropped Mary’s hand and glared at him, but Mary laughed and waved to them both. Then, picking up Remus’ hand, she poked her tongue out at the pair of them, and turned her attention back to the flan.

With a last gurn at Remus, James snorted and turned away. He started to walk up the cobbled street and towards the Hog’s Head. “Let’s go and annoy Padfoot now?”

“No,” Peter replied firmly. “He’d just get very annoyed and then eat all the chocolate in revenge. Plus he’d then want to join us in the Three Broomsticks.”

James considered and then nodded. “Mmm, if Padfoot turns up, he’ll ruin the whole thing. Just you, me and the two best looking witches in Hogwarts then, eh?”

Peter grinned. “Yeah, just us four.” He began to whistle and broke into a jaunty type of step as they made their way to the pub.

As usual, the Three Broomsticks was packed. James cursed the fact that everywhere he looked there seemed to be annoying third years, who all seemed so incredibly excited to be let out of Hogwarts. He watched the boys nudging each other as Rosmerta walked around the tables, collecting glasses with a sour expression on her face.

“Hey, Rosie,” James called.

Rosmerta grimaced, but her expression lifted slightly. “It’s Rosmerta to you, James. You know I hate that nickname.”

“Aw, I thought it was cute, and suited you, Rosmerta,” he replied, emphasising her full name.

“If you carry on calling me Rosie, or Rose, then I’ll start calling you Jimmy. Do you want that?”

He chuckled. “Nope. Okay, Rosmerta it is.” Weaving his way through the tables until he found a small one against the wall, James put down the Honeydukes boxes and then walked back to her. “No chance of getting served, is there?”

“Wait your turn,” she muttered. “I’m on my own at the moment and it’s hard serving when I’ve run out of clean glasses.”

“Where’s Albert gone?” James asked, referring to the barman who usually collected the glasses and wiped tables.

“Spattergroit!” she exclaimed. Looking at the horrified expression on James’ face, she sighed. “He didn’t get it here so no one’s infectious. Merlin, the number of times I’ve had to reassure everyone, it would be easier to say he was dead!” She walked back to the bar; James followed whilst Peter sat at the table rearranging the boxes to make some space.

“Anyway,” she continued. “I have hired someone to fill in for a while, but as you can see, I’m on my own “ at least for another hour.”

“Is the replacement nice-looking?” James asked, a cheeky grin spreading across his face.

She chuckled. “Very! Now what can I get you, sir?” she asked a young third year standing at the bar.

Holding up a collection of Knuts and Sickles, the young boy asked for four Butterbeers. James watched in amusement as he carried the frothing tankards back to his excited friends.

“Reminds me of you four,” Rosmerta said. “Scraping your money together that first Hogsmeade weekend. Of course, you were all quite polite then, even Sirius. Not like now.”

James grinned. “We were much cooler than that, even at thirteen.”

Rosmerta laughed loudly. “No you weren’t! You dropped your beer in Sirius’ lap.”

“Hello, James,” Sonia called from the doorway. “Are you buying?”

James turned his head, Sonia and Lily stood in the doorway carrying bags, and both looked frozen. He pointed to Peter sitting at the table near the fire. As they walked towards him, he shouted. “Butterbeer okay for you both?”

Lily nodded, but Sonia shook her head. “Strawberry cordial for me.”

James turned back to Rosmerta. “Three Butterbeers and a strawberry cordial, please.” He rummaged through his moneybag, pulling out some coins. Looking up he saw Rosmerta studying him, a curious expression on her face. “What?”

“James Potter, have you finally got a date with Lily?”

James blushed slightly but smiled ruefully. “Not exactly, but ... ah, well, you never know. I might be lucky.”

Purloining a tray so that he didn’t drop any drinks this time, James walked back to the table. Sonia had sat opposite Peter, leaving Lily sitting next to him. Peter shrugged dispiritedly as James caught his eye, but short of forcing the girls to swap seats there was little James could do. He sat in the only vacant chair, between Sonia and Peter and opposite Lily.

“Did you get everything you needed?” he asked, addressing Lily.

She nodded and was about to answer when Sonia leant towards him. “Mmm, such a good idea about the card, James. I think Phyllida will really appreciate the gesture.” She stretched out one had to pick up her glass and accidentally (or was it deliberate?) touched him on the hand. James moved his hand away slightly, but one of her long fingers crept towards his thumb. James glanced across at Lily and Peter. She was smothering a grin, but Peter looked resigned again. Turning away from James, he started to talk to Lily about Snitch.

No! No! No! James thought. This is not the way it’s supposed to be!

He coughed and leant back in his chair. “Lily,” he said loudly. “Did you ever finish that Arithmancy homework? I had a lot of trouble with question three, did you?”

Lily snorted slightly but turned away from Peter. “I didn’t expect you to start talking about homework, James.” She took a sip of her Butterbeer as she considered his question. “You sound almost responsible,” she mocked.

James pulled a face. “I can be responsible at times, can’t I, Peter?”

Peter raised his eyebrows. “Can you?” James glared at him and he began to laugh. “Oh, yeah, there was that one time in Kettleburn’s lesson when you remembered your gloves.”

“You’re Quidditch Captain, aren’t you?” Sonia queried. “That doesn’t seem like a position they’d give someone who wasn’t responsible.”

“Thank you!” exclaimed James. “See, McGonagall thinks I’m up to the job. Anyway, I thought we were here to talk about Phyll?”

Lily stopped smiling and sighed. She leant back in her chair and her shoulders slumped wearily. “It’s awful, isn’t it? I mean we sit here giggling, enjoying life and then something “ or someone “ brings it all back. Poor Phyllida.”

James bit his lip. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “I didn’t mean it like that. I just thought that as...” He stopped, unsure what to say. He felt guilty now for using Phyllida as an excuse just to impress Lily. Pushing his glasses off his nose and onto his forehead, he rubbed his eyes with his finger and thumb. “I miss her,” he said at last. “Common room’s not the same without her.”

Pushing his chair back, he scooped up some money and walked to the bar, intending to get another round in. He heard someone following him, and, turning, was surprised to see it was Lily.

“I’ll buy these,” she said quietly.

“Sure,” he replied wearily. “I’ll give you a hand though.”

Lily nodded and then smiled up at him. As they edged into a space at the bar, he was assailed by her nearness, the scent of her hair, and he ached to touch it, to see if it were as soft as it looked.

“L-L-Lily,” he stammered. She looked up at him enquiringly. He took a deep breath. “Er, I wanted to know... er ... wanted to ask you ... if...” He stopped as Rosmerta appeared in front of them. Grimacing, he looked up at the barmaid and then blinked in surprise.

It wasn’t Rosmerta. This was obviously her Albert replacement. But instead of the pretty young girl he’d imagined, this was a man “ a good-looking man. Lily, catching James’ expression, turned to face the barman and then squealed, “Oh, Good Godric!”

“Hi there, Lily-lily,” said the barman who had cropped blonde hair, blue eyes and a dazzling smile. “I told you we’d meet again.”
End Notes:
Sorry, sorry, sorry, for the delay. Too many fics and too little time. Rest assured I will complete this fic, because these are my favourite characters.
Chapter 16 - 'Feeble Girls' by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to Kara (Karaley Dargen) and Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter. They sorted out my horrible punctuation and slips in characterisation with humour and charm!

As Lily stared at Rich and saw his lazy smile aimed only at her, she felt her insides jumping. “Wh-what are you doing here?” she stuttered stupidly.

Rich spread out his hands on the bar. “Bit of this, bit of that,” he replied. Then he looked at James. “But right now I think I need to serve you and your boyfriend some drinks.”

“Who?” Lily asked vaguely. She stared at James, who looked as if he were in shock. “Oh, er, no, Potter’s not my boyfriend. Er ... Sorry ... This is James Potter, a boy from school.” She gestured airily to him. “James, this is Richard Soule. I ... er ... we ... I mean, Mary, Martha and I sort of bumped into him on holiday.”

“Great,” she thought she heard James mutter. He kept his eyes fixed on Rich and then held out his hand. “Like she said, I’m James Potter.”

Rich took his hand and shook. “Ow, that’s a strong grip you have there. Are you a Quodpot player?”

“Sorry?” James asked, bemused. “Quodpot?”

Rich laughed, his smile wide across his face. “My mistake. I mean Quidditch, I think. In America, we play a game called Quodpot. The players all have very strong grips.”

“Oh,” James replied. He looked down at his hand, and Lily thought he looked slightly ashamed. “I am a Quidditch player “ Chaser and captain, actually.”

“Sounds interesting,” Rich said, but there was a slight hint of amusement in his voice.

“Rich, I pay you to work, not chat up the clientele,” shouted Rosmerta from across the bar.

“Yes, ma’am,” he muttered under his breath before winking at Lily. “Can you make it a nice long order, and then we can chat for a bit longer?”

“It’s three Butterbeers and a cordial,” James butted in.

Lily glanced across at James and pulled a face as Rich began to fetch the drinks. “Why don’t you take your drinks over, James, and I’ll pay?”

James grunted something unintelligible but left to join Sonia and Peter. Lily turned back to Rich, who was taking an inordinately long time to wipe down the bar counter just in front of her. He grinned at her again. “How’s the ankle?”

“Ankle?” she replied breathily, her mind a blank. “Oh, my ankle.” Sitting on a bar stool, she flexed it in front of her almost kicking the elderly wizard waiting to be served. “It’s fine, thank you. I haven’t had any problems with it, not since we saw the Healer. In fact, it was completely cured the next day ... but ... you weren’t there.”

Rich touched her hand gently with one fingertip. “Yeah, sorry about that. I had to leave in a bit of a hurry.” Lily looked at him curiously, and he laughed. “Don’t worry, I wasn’t evading the cheque, and I’m not on the run. I just had a lead on something and ...”

“A lead?” she asked excitedly. “Are you a journalist or an Auror or something?”

“Or something,” he agreed, but didn’t say any more. He turned to the wizard next to her and began to serve him. Lily started to fiddle with her hair as she waited for him to finish, and then it struck her that he might not want to talk to a schoolgirl, so she hopped off her barstool. Rich turned immediately.

“Hey, don’t leave yet,” he said. “I can still talk while serving, Lily-lily.” He paused and peered at the table in the corner. “Unless you need to get back to your friends.”

Lily followed his gaze. Sonia was edging further towards James, who didn’t appear to have noticed. He was listening to Peter, who was chatting away but not eliciting any response from either of his companions. Sonia looked up, smiled slyly at Lily, and then began talking to James as well.

“No, I don’t need to get back just yet,” she replied as she turned her face away from her friends.

“I don’t see those other two girls you went on holiday with. Uh ... Mary and ... Maggie, was it?”

“Martha,” Lily corrected. She giggled. “They’re both with their boyfriends somewhere.”

“Hmm, so how come you haven’t got a boyfriend, Lily?”

Lily blushed and bent her head down so she could hide her face under her hair. “Umm, not sure really. No one I particularly like. Er, at school, I mean.” She swallowed, Merlin, that makes me sound as if I’m interested in him and ... Her thoughts trailed off as she desperately tried to stop her face turning even redder.

“Bet you’re beating them off with a stick,” he replied, smirking at her. “That boy who came to the bar with you...”

“Oh, Potter’s just a ... well, I suppose he’s a friend. Usually we just annoy each other a lot.”

“Hmm,” Rich murmured. “He seems to be glowering at me.”

Lily glanced around to see James swiftly turning his head. He leant towards Sonia and began to murmur something. Sonia, appearing delighted at this turn of events, sidled even closer to him. Peter got up and walked towards the bar, coins jingling in his hand. Lily turned back to Rich but he’d moved further up the bar to serve a gaggle of giggling schoolgirls.

“’Lo, Lily,” Peter said. “You want another?”

“I’m okay, thanks, Peter,” she replied and smiled at him. “Did you get that letter sent to your mum?”

“Mmm, thanks.” Peter grinned at her. “Snitch looked a bit put out. I think he’s got a lady-owl friend. He was flapping his wings and swooping a lot when I went in. Obviously trying to impress her.”

“Oh dear,” she said. Lily rolled her eyes dramatically. “I think he needs some advice from an older owl. Whoever the lady-owl is, I doubt she’ll be impressed by flashy flying.” Peter grunted something, and Lily peered at him. “What did you say?”

“I said, ‘Tell that to Sonia’,” he said and sighed. He raised his hand to get attention. Lily, expecting Rich to return, turned back to the bar; instead, Rosmerta walked across.

“Sorry, Lily,” she said, winking at Peter. “I need my barman to serve other people as well. Although, you seem to have made an impression on him.”

Lily felt a small glow inside her. “I met him last month,” she explained, trying to keep the smile off her face.

Rosmerta smiled back knowingly before serving Peter. He carried the drinks back to the table. Lily, after a quick glance at Rich who now seemed to be very busy, walked with him.

“Lily!” exclaimed Sonia as she sat back down. “Is that the glamorous Rich you were telling us about?” Lily nodded and Sonia half-stood to get a better look. “Wow, you weren’t exaggerating about his looks. Mind you, blondes aren’t really my style. Remind me too much of Julius.” She shuddered melodramatically and with a sidelong glance across at James added, “I much prefer dark hair.”

James spluttered on his drink and looked as if he were about to say something when the door burst open and Sirius ran inside with Martha, who was clutching her sides with laughter.

“Oh! Oh! OH!” she laughed. “That was the best time ever. I can’t believe that was a witch at the bar and not a hag...” She collapsed in more fits of giggles and Sirius joined in. He spied them in the corner, raised his eyebrows at the particular foursome sitting there and then strolled over, dragging Martha with him.

“What’s this, a double date?” he asked.

“No,” replied James hurriedly. “We’re talking about Phyllida.” He shot a look at Lily. “Or rather we were until someone got distracted by the bar staff.”

Martha looked around curiously and then squealed. “Oh, my, he looks just like ...” She gaped at Lily. “Isn’t that ...?”

Lily nodded and completely failed to stop a huge grin from encompassing her face. “Rosmerta’s given him a job behind the bar.”

“Who exactly are we talking about?” Sirius asked, bemused.

James stood up. “American friend of Lily’s. Looks as if he’s stepped out of a beauty parlour,” he added nastily and, draining his Butterbeer, he picked up his cloak. “I’m off. I’ll leave you to sort out the stuff for Phyll. If you can remember, that is.”

“I’ll keep you company, if you want,” Sonia said eagerly. She stood up much too quickly and knocked over her cordial. It spread across the table and dripped onto James’ feet. “Oops, sorry!”

James glared at her and then, without another word, he stormed out.

“I guess that’s a no, Sonia,” Sirius said, snorting. He pulled up a chair, propelled Martha into it, and then walked up to the bar. After exchanging some words with Rosmerta, leaving the landlady with a smile on her face, he returned to the table. “Didn’t see boy-wonder, Lily. Perhaps he’s done a runner.”

“Or perhaps he’s busy and is being responsible!” she retorted haughtily. “Not something you’d understand, Black.”

Sirius pulled a face, and Martha started laughing. “I’m pleased someone finds me funny,” he said mournfully. Then he bent forwards and removed the Butterbeer froth that was on her nose with his thumb before kissing her.

“Ughh!” exclaimed Sonia. “Do you have to?”

Drawing back slightly, Sirius stared at Sonia. “Yes,” he said. “I do have to.” He leant back towards Martha but she pushed him away, clearly more embarrassed than he was. Sirius slumped in his chair and cast venomous looks at Sonia only smiling when Martha took his hand and began to drink the rest of her Butterbeer.

“Why is Rich here?” she asked Lily.

Lily smiled at her, feeling again a thrill of excitement as she talked about Rich. “Rosmerta’s given him a job.”

“Who is this bloke?” Sirius asked, interested.

Martha turned to him and started to explain about Slythy Fen, the station cafe, and Lily hurting her ankle. She shivered. “It was a grim place, wasn’t it, Lily? Made us think Salazar Slytherin was still alive.”

Lily nodded. “Not like Godric’s Hollow -- that was fun.” She smiled at Sirius. “Although that could have been Hereward. He’s a bit of a charmer, isn’t he?”

Sirius grinned “ not a smirk, but a smile of genuine warmth. “Hereward is brilliant!” He leant back in his chair, draining his tankard. “And Halley.”

Lily looked at Sirius, who was suddenly looking forlorn and not at all like the cocky boy she was used to. When Martha left the table because some of her friends had walked in, Lily leant towards him. “How is Halley?”

He stared at her and she saw a troubled look flash into his eyes. “Why do you ask?”

She paused and sighed. “I don’t think she’s very well, Sirius,” she murmured, turning her head away so Sonia and Peter would not hear her. “She was in pain when I was there, and James doesn’t seem to have noticed.”

Sirius carried on staring and then he inclined his head. “I don’t know what’s wrong. Hereward says everything’s fine,” he muttered. He looked to the ceiling. “James is spectacularly blind to all of this, so don’t say anything, okay?” He sounded fierce, annoyed even. Then he stopped speaking as Martha sidled back to the table.

“I won’t say a word,” Lily whispered, shocked. “Just ...” She paused as someone leant over, picking up glasses. It was Rich.

“You left the bar,” he complained. “I thought you’d gone.”

“Um, no, you were busy, so I thought I’d let you get on with it,” she said, smiling up at him. She was aware that Sirius was looking at her curiously, apparently amused. “This is Sirius Black, Martha’s boyfriend.”

Rich looked down at Sirius as if he were assessing him through the gloom of the bar and, after a moment, inclined his head. “Nice to meet you, Sirius.” He shook his head in a bewildered fashion. “Have we met before?”

Sirius shrugged. Draining his Butterbeer, he held out his hand. “No, I don’t think so,” he replied smoothly. “Sorry, I didn’t catch your name.”

“Richard Soule,” Rich replied, still thinking hard; then his face lightened. “I know why you’re familiar. Black‘s your surname, right?” Sirius nodded. “I met some old guy in London, name of Black. Your father, perhaps? Really funny and looked a lot like you.”

Sirius shrugged. “Not so you’d notice,” he muttered darkly. He turned away from Rich.

“Alphard Black!” Rich exclaimed. “That’s who he was. He had a photo of you and another kid on his mantelpiece.”

“OH!” Sirius exclaimed, and his eyes lit up in amusement. “That’s my uncle.” He leant across in an altogether friendlier manner. “How did you meet him?”

“Uh ... the bookshop in Diagon Alley. I was browsing the History section, and he happened to be there.” Rich winked at Sirius. “He saved me a lot of dough ‘cause after talking to him I didn’t need to buy all the books I’d pulled out. He’s quite a historian.” Rich turned to Lily. “That’s how I ended up in Slythy Fen. Alphard told me all about it.”

“RICH!” Rosmerta yelled. “What exactly am I paying you for?”

“Uh ... my socialisation skills?” he countered and, turning round, smiled widely at the landlady.

Rosmerta pursed her lips but didn’t look too annoyed. Rich squeezed Lily on the shoulder and whispered, “I gotta get back to work, but maybe we can catch up later. What time do you have to be back?”

“Oh, um ... sixish,” Lily replied, sighing. “I’m a prefect and I’m on duty, unfortunately.”

“Ah, I don’t get off ‘til eleven,” he said, his voice full of regret. Then he grinned. “Are you allowed out tomorrow around lunchtime?” Lily nodded, pushing the thought to the back of her mind that she had a Transfiguration essay for McGonagall to finish. Rich grinned at her. “It’s a date then, Lily-lily.”

As he walked off, she asked, “Where?”

“I’ll find you,” he called with a backward glance.

Lily blinked and felt her cheeks flame into red. She was acutely aware that everyone at the table was watching her. Martha and Sonia began to giggle; Lily scowled.

“Lily Evans, you have a date!” Sonia declared and laughed louder. “And he’s absolutely gorgeous.”

Lily smiled, feeling her cheeks start to burn less. “I thought you didn’t like blondes, Sonia.”

Sonia looked at the bar where Rich was now serving a rather large contingent of Hufflepuff fourth years. “I could make an exception in his case,” she replied.

Sirius raised his eyebrows at Peter who was looking puzzled. “What’s up, Wormy? “

Peter started. He looked from Rich to Lily and then back to Sirius. “Uh, nothing,” he murmured. “Just ... no... It’s nothing.” He took a gulp of his Butterbeer and directed a comment to Sonia. “Do you think we bought the right stuff from Honeydukes for Phyllida?” He paused and smiled slightly. “I remembered that she didn’t like Cockroach Clusters.”

Sonia turned her head away from the bar and glanced at him. She shook her head as if finally remembering the reason they were all in the pub together and then started perusing the Honeydukes boxes that Peter had set on the table. “This looks great, Peter,” she said with real warmth. “I’m sure Phyllida will love all of this, don’t you think so, Lily?”

Lily dragged her attention to the boxes on the table and away from her own jumbled thoughts. “Mmm, looks wonderful,” she agreed.

Sirius snorted, and she thought she heard him whisper something to Martha about her mind not being on Phyllida at all. Lily bit her lip. James was right, they were supposed to be talking about Phyll, but ... she sighed. It was wonderful to see Rich again.

***


James stomped away from The Three Broomsticks in a filthy mood. His shoes, sticky from Sonia’s cordial, were uncomfortable so, sitting down on the kerb, he took them off, intending to use a Cleaning Charm. It was colder now, and rain had begun to drizzle around him. There was a rip in his cloak, and he looked at it, puzzled, because his mum was meticulous about his clothes and if she couldn’t repair them, she’d replace them. He shook his head; he must have ripped it after he returned to school, although he couldn’t remember wearing this particular cloak.

“You look bemused, Potter,” said a voice from above. James looked up to see Fabian Prewett standing over him. “Is something wrong?”

“Not really, sir,” James replied. Slipping his shoes back on, he stood up, ignoring the squelching feeling as his socks stuck to the cordial.

“A girl, is it?” Fabian asked sagely.

James gave a rueful smile. “Mmm, you could say that.” He shrugged. “Not the first time. I’m used to it now.”

“I thought you’d be larking around with that cousin of mine,” Fabian said. “Or is he with that pretty blonde girl?”

“Martha, yeah, he’s in the pub with her. I got a bit sick of it all so said I’d head back.” He smiled, adding lightly so his Defence professor didn’t think he was a total prat, “I have try-outs to plan for next week, so I should get back really. Nice talking to you, Professor.”

Fabian’s eyes gleamed. “ Quidditch try-outs?” James nodded. “I can’t wait to see your team. D’you think you’ll win the Cup this year?”

James, heartened by the enthusiasm in Fabian’s voice, grinned. “I bloody hope so, sir. We’ve got a brilliant Seeker in Martha “ that’s Sirius’ girlfriend, by the way. And I’m hoping to persuade her sister to return. She’s a Chaser. And ...” He paused. “Sorry, I’m not annoying you, am I? My mates tell me I get really boring when I talk about the game.”

Fabian laughed. “Not at all. I love Quidditch and used to play for Gryffindor ... along with my brother. We were Beaters” He smiled at James. “Do you fancy a drink somewhere?”

James’ eyes lit up. “Cool. I could do with some advice about Beaters. I’ve got a problem this year with that position.” Fabian grinned back and started to walk towards the Three Broomsticks. “Oh ... I’d rather not go there,” James said falteringly.

“OOOH!” exclaimed Fabian and with a knowing smile, he turned in the other direction. “The girl you’re not with is in there, I suppose.”

James grimaced. “Yeah, and currently getting chatted up by an American bloke.”

Was he imagining the narrowing of Fabian’s eyes? When he took a closer look, his Defence professor was smiling blandly at him. “American, eh? Don’t worry, James. I’m sure Miss Evans will soon see through all that glamour.”

“How do you-” James spluttered.

“Know it’s Miss Evans?” Fabian queried. He clapped James on the back and steered him towards the Hog’s Head. “Thanks to the Fat Lady, James, there’s not much that’s secret at Hogwarts.”

***


“So where are you meeting exactly?” Sonia asked Lily as they walked back to Hogwarts. It was five thirty, and although she’d been reluctant to leave The Three Broomsticks, Lily knew she had to be back by six. Sonia decided to walk back with her after declaring that she was tired and had a Divination essay to start.

Lily clutched her cloak around her. The drizzly rain of earlier had started to fall in sheets now, but she was so happy “ giddy even “ that she didn’t care that her hair was getting wet and was sticking to her face. “I don’t know,” she replied and giggled. “He said he’d find me.” She glanced across at Sonia who was eyeing her curiously. “You don’t think it’s a joke, do you? I mean, he will turn up, won’t he?”

Sonia stopped walking and considered. Then she flashed a brilliant smile at Lily. “That man looked very interested to me Lily. I think he’ll turn up, all right.”

“Good,” Lily said and heaved a sigh of relief. “I’m not used to this, Sonia.”

“No,” Sonia mused. “It’s always puzzled me, but you’ve not really had a boyfriend before, have you?”

“I’ve had dates,” Lily replied huffily. “There was Derek.”

“Derek!” Sonia laughed. “Lily, that was in our fourth year and you said it was awful.” Pausing she linked her arm in Lily’s. “I thought Derek was rather sweet, actually. I never could work out why you didn’t see him again.”

Lily bit her lip. “Actually,” she confessed. “It wasn’t me who dumped him. He didn’t want to see me again. No idea why.” She frowned. “If it had been last year, I’d have suspected Potter of hexing him ...”

Sonia slowed her pace slightly, tugging on Lily’s arm. “James still likes you, Lily.” She sniffed a bit. “Merlin, I hate to admit it, but even when you were at the bar and clearly not at all interested in him, he wouldn’t talk to me. Just kept looking over at you and scowling.”

Lily huddled into Sonia, suddenly feeling the rain as it fell around them. “You really like him, don’t you?” she asked, failing to keep the astonishment out of her voice.

Sonia nodded mournfully. “I know you all think I’m stupid and will go out with anyone, but James is ... oh, I don’t know ... I mean, I loved being with Sirius ... but there was always the feeling that it wouldn’t last. James just seems steadier somehow.”

“Steadier!” Lily laughed loudly. “That’s Potter you’re talking about. He couldn’t be responsible or steady if his life depended on it.”

“Professor McGonagall picked him as captain, Lily. She’s not going to do that if she thinks he’s totally infantile. She wants to win that Cup more than any of us.”

Lily was saved the bother of thinking up a reply by her next step, which left her ankle deep in the mud. She removed her foot from the mud and yelped as she realised her shoe had been sucked off. “Oh, no. These were new!” As she bent down to try and retrieve it, she heard mocking laughter behind her.

“Ah, the Mudblood’s crawling around where she belongs.” Mulciber’s voice rippled towards them.

Lily and Sonia both turned to see Mulciber, Avery and a third cloaked figure strolling towards them. Lily’s insides clenched because for a moment she thought it was Severus. Then, as the third boy shifted his position, his hood fell off and she saw it was a fifth-year Slytherin. She was unsure of his name, but she remembered seeing him with Peter once. She scanned her brain and then remembered. It was at the station. He was Barty Crouch.

“What do you want?” Lily asked. Her shoe forgotten, she clutched her wand, ready to cast a spell.

“Nothing from you, Mudblood,” Avery called. “But a kiss from Slattery would be a start.”

“In your dreams, Gussy!” Sonia spat. “There’s not enough gold in Gringotts to make it worth my while.”

Lily could sense the fear in Sonia building up and marvelled that she managed to sound so calm. Mulciber increased his pace, as did the others, so Lily began to edge backwards dragging Sonia with her. “There’s three of them,” Sonia hissed.

“Yes, I know,” Lily muttered back. “But we both take Defence Against the Dark Arts, Sonia. Avery doesn’t and Barty’s a fifth-year.”

“I could just kiss him, I suppose,” Sonia suggested and then she peered across at Avery. “Urghh! No, I couldn’t “ he’s revolting.”

Lily fought an insane urge to giggle.

“Merlin, where are the boys when we need them?” Sonia said through gritted teeth. “Peter couldn’t get enough of us this afternoon, and now he’s nowhere to be seen.”

“We don’t need them,” Lily began as they started to edge away more quickly; then she screamed as a hex sped towards her. She ducked, dragging Sonia down with her. “Merlin, what was that for?” she shouted, suddenly furious at the three Slytherins.

Sonia slipped on the mud and her wand spun out of her hand. Running forwards, Avery caught it. “Kiss for your wand, Slattery?”

“Don’t you dare!” Lily said furiously as Sonia looked up at her.

“We need to do something, Lily,” Sonia implored her, “or else they’ll do something far worse than kiss us. Remember Mary. We still don’t know what really happened there.”

Lily scanned the horizon, but all the while kept her eyes on the three Slytherins. Barty, she noticed, looked nervous. She wasn’t sure he was enjoying the sport, and he wouldn’t look at either of the girls but kept his eyes on Mulciber. She switched her attention to Mulciber, who’d turned his head to say something to Avery. Avery laughed and, for a split second, stopped staring at Sonia.

“Expelliarmus!” Lily yelled, and her heart leapt as both the wands left Avery’s hand. Sonia ran forwards and caught both.

“You can have your wand back, Gussy,” she shouted, “if you promise to keep your foul, blubbery lips away from me.” Then she shot a hex straight at him, hitting him in the groin.

At that, Mulciber reacted. Firing a jinx straight at Sonia, he laughed as she doubled over, squealing in pain. “Stupid Gryffindor slut!” he roared and aimed another curse directly at her.

Sonia was unable to react in time, but Lily, suddenly remembering Sirius on the Hogwarts Express, shouted, “Protego!”

Her aim was true and protected Sonia, but she too slipped in the mud. Mulciber laughed as he approached. “Silencio!” he muttered. “Now you’ll get it, Mudblood!”

Lily’s eyes widened in fear. She couldn’t speak. She couldn’t rain hexes down on him. She had her wand, but not her voice. Sonia seemed helpless beside her, the pain in her side still making her writhe. Lily looked across at Barty imploringly, but he wouldn’t look her way. Merlin, how could Severus be friends with people like this? Severus... Her mind flashed back to the previous term after their O.W.L. exam and then to their last Defence lesson. Sirius duelling Severus. Pointing her wand at Mulciber and concentrating with all her might, she thought Levicorpus! and cast a silent prayer that the non-verbal spell he’d once shown her would work.

She cheered inside when Mulciber was hoisted up by his ankle; then nudged Sonia, who’d managed to sit up. Wearily, Sonia pointed her wand at Lily and whispered, “Finite Incantatum!”

“Thanks,” Lily rasped, her voice not quite back to normal. She swallowed; her throat hurt.

“What do we do now?” Sonia asked. “Should we get help, or find a teacher or something?”

Lily shivered. She was cold, wet and tired and had no desire to spend the rest of her weekend going through this with their Head of House. “To be honest, Son, I’d really like to forget about it. I mean, I doubt Mulciber is going to boast about this, and that hex you cast at Avery…” She laughed as Avery clutched his groin. “I don’t think he’s going to want to come near you again.” She sighed and rubbed at her throat. “But if they attack someone else...”

“Where did the other one go?” Sonia interrupted, looking around.

Lily looked to where Barty had been, but he’d disappeared. She shrugged. “I don’t think he knew what they were up to. He didn’t join in.”

“He didn’t stop them, either,” Sonia replied archly. Then she grinned at Lily. “I know why you don’t want to report this; it’s because McGonagall will insist on the Hospital Wing ... and then you won’t be able to go out tomorrow.”

Lily smiled back at her, slightly shamefaced. “Er ... maybe,” she murmured. Then she closed her eyes, trying to clear Rich out of her mind. “We should report it, but can we play it down a bit. I’m fine now so no need to mention the Silencing Charm.”

Sonia snorted but linked arms with Lily all the same, and together they started to walk away.

“What about me?” Mulciber yelled, still suspended in the air.

“I don’t know the counter-curse,” Lily said casually. “Sorry, but I’m sure it will wear off soon.”

***


“Whoa!” exclaimed James from the armchair by the fire in the Gryffindor common room. He was feeling much more mellow, after discussing the finer points of Quidditch with Fabian for the entire afternoon. Fabian had also been very positive of the subject of flash gits, assuring James that their appeal to witches barely lasted a week or more. He smirked at their dishevelled state. “What in the name of Merlin happened to you two?”

Then, as they drew closer to him and stood under the bright light of the torches, James stood up, shocked at the sight of the two mud-splattered girls. “You’re hurt,” he said to Sonia, noticing that she was clutching her side. He led Sonia very gently by the arm and sat her in the armchair. “Lily, what happened?”

Lily shrugged. “Avery wanted a kiss; Sonia said no.”

“Godric, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have left you girls alone.”

Lily started to laugh and Sonia joined in. James looked bewildered.

“Don’t worry, Potter. We feeble girls managed just fine,” Sonia said, snorting. ”You’re not the only ones who can fight.”

“And,” continued Lily, “if you think we look bad, you should see Mulciber.”

“Mulciber,” he growled. “Where is that bastard?”

Lily shrugged; then, looking across at Sonia, she smirked. “Oh, he’s ... uh ... hanging around somewhere.”

Then both girls dissolved into fits of laughter. Refusing to elaborate, Lily and Sonia left the common room and headed towards the girls dormitories. James could hear them laughing all the way up the stairs. He stood at the bottom, hoping they’d turn around and explain, but neither of them looked back.

***


In The Three Broomsticks, as he stood up to leave, Sirius caught sight of Rich’s reflection in a mirror. He smiled slightly; Rich seemed to be an all right bloke, but he knew James would hate him. Pulling Martha to her feet, he helped her into her cloak, making an especial fuss of fastening it up so she kept warm. Beside them, Peter gazed moodily out of the window.

“You should have gone with them,” Sirius murmured to him.

“What’s the point? She’s not interested, is she?” Peter complained. “I should never have listened to Prongs.”

Martha looked from one to the other, a puzzled look on her face. “Oh,” she said at last, “do you like Sonia?”

Peter glared at her, but then nodded and smiled ruefully. “Not that it’s any good. She’s no more interested in me than Lily is in James.” He laughed suddenly, bitterly. “I want to be alone for a bit. I’ll see you back at the dorm, Padfoot.”

“Er ... yeah, sure, Wormy,” Sirius replied vaguely. He frowned, unused to seeing Peter this low. Then as he watched him leave he turned to look at Martha, who was smiling up at him expectantly. Merlin, she’s sweet, he thought and, all thoughts of Peter gone, he bent his head down to kiss her and envelop her in the folds of his cloak.

“Hey, guys,” said a voice a few minutes later. “Can you take this somewhere else?”

Sirius and Martha broke away, and Sirius grinned into the smiling face of Rich Soule. “Sorry,” he started to say, and then he broke off. Rich was close to him now, and Sirius was staring right into his eyes. He flinched momentarily but then recovered. “Yeah sure.”

Tugging Martha after him, Sirius left the pub, his mind whirring.

“What’s the hurry?” Martha said, laughing.

“I need to get back,” he muttered distractedly.

He didn’t notice the puzzled frown appear on her face, but placing his arm about her shoulders, Sirius propelled Martha forwards at a faster pace. Rich’s face “ his eyes -- swam before him. He was not mistaken. He had stared into those eyes only two nights before when he’d pinned him against a tree in an effort to save his friends.

Rich Soule was the wizard from the Forbidden Forest.
End Notes:
Sorry... sorry ... sorry ... for the long wait. This chapter went through the wringer for a while.
Chapter 17 -Chaperone by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to Kara (Karaley Dargen) and Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter.

“I KNEW there was something suspicious about that prat!” James exclaimed. Sitting on the edge of his bed, he fingered his wand, a light in his eyes. “So bloody smarmy. Too good to be true.”

“Are you absolutely sure?” Remus asked from his bed. He was lying down, unwilling to move and jar his body now that Mrs Potter’s Pepper-Up Potion had worn off.

Sirius stood by the window. He closed his eyes, trying to picture the scene in the Forbidden Forest. He had been so close to the man, imploring him not to hurt his friends. “It was him,” he said at last. “I think Peter might have recognised him, too.” He looked out of the window. “I’m surprised he’s not back yet. He left before Martha and me.”

“He’ll be back when he’s hungry,” muttered James, and then grinned as he recognised his mum’s words coming out of his own mouth. “Was he still pining after Sonia? All lovesick. ”

“Pot calling the kettle black, Prongs,” murmured Remus. He caught Sirius’ eye, and both started grinning. “Padfoot told me you stormed out of the pub because Lily spent all her time gushing over the barman.”

James scowled. “Stop laughing, you two. This is serious. That flash git is bad news and you know it.”

Remus sat up slowly, trying not to wince. “He was in the forest, Prongs. That doesn’t automatically make him a Dark Wizard. We were there, weren’t we?” he muttered.

“Oh, and what possible reason could he have for wandering around at night in a forest full of dangerous creatures?” James objected.

“He might not have known,” Remus suggested calmly. “Look, he’s not from round here, is he?”

“You’re defending him!” James exclaimed. “He could have killed us!”

“He saw a werewolf,” Remus argued. “He was terrified.”

In exasperation, James stood up and approached Sirius. “What do you think?”

With a quick glance at Remus, Sirius turned to James. “I think Moony’s right,” he said softly. “Rich was scared that night.”

“It’s Rich now, I see,” James said furiously. “Bloody hell, he’s charmed you as well as Evans!”

Sirius laughed. He clapped James on the back and then pulled him back to the window. “What are you more jealous of?” he asked, smirking. “Me liking him, or Lily?” He laughed again at James’ furious face. “Look, Prongs, I’m just saying that, yeah, we don’t know much about him, but he seems an all right bloke to me.”

“And you know that from half a day gazing at him over your pint?” spat James. “Didn’t think you’d be taken in so easily.”

Biting back a retort, Sirius looked at Remus, who raised his eyebrows and snorted quietly. “He’s met my uncle,” Sirius said at last. “You remember me talking about Uncle Alphard?” James nodded, but mutinously. “My lovely Ma and Pa tell everyone that Alphard is an idiot “ soft in the head “ but he’s a shrewd. Rosmerta’s new barman has been to his house, and he wouldn’t have received an invite unless Alphard liked him.”

James stared at him; then he looked at Remus. “Still doesn’t explain what he was doing in the Forest.”

“Trouble is, Prongs,” replied Remus, lying back down on the bed to ease his aches, “we can’t ask him without letting him know that I’m a werewolf and you three are illegal Animagi.” He winced as he tried to get comfortable. “Anyway, I think we have more important things to worry about.”

“Like what?” James asked.

“Like Mulciber, Avery and Crouch attacking Lily and Sonia,” Remus replied sternly.

“Mmm.” Sirius moved to Remus’ bed and sat on the edge. “They’ve stepped up, haven’t they? I mean, attacking us is one thing. We’re not exactly innocent first years anymore.” He smiled slightly and then stared at James. “We have priorities other than a flash git in a bar, Prongs.”

James sighed and removed his glasses. The story of the Slytherin attack on Lily and Sonia had reached Sirius and Remus before he’d had a chance to tell them. On being told of the attack, Professor McGonagall had headed straight for Professor Slughorn’s rooms, and the pair of them had set off to search for the Slytherin trio. Lily and Sonia, after a quick trip to the hospital wing, were sitting in the common room telling everyone who wanted to listen (and that was rather a lot of people) about Sonia hexing Avery in a particularly nasty fashion and Mulciber’s purple face as he was left dangling in the air. James had listened in for a while, proud of the pair of them and somewhat surprised at Sonia, whom he’d always dismissed as a lightweight.

“You’re right,” he said at last, slightly shamefaced. “That attack was nasty and without reason.”

“Oh, there’s a reason,” Remus muttered. He turned his head towards the pair of them. “Lily told Mary that Mulciber called her a ‘Mudblood’. I think you’re right, Padfoot, that they’re stepping up a level. This is the second time she’s been targeted for being a Muggle-born.”

“Second?” Sirius was puzzled; then his face cleared. “The train, yeah, I’d forgotten about that.”

“Phyll’s mum was Muggle-born as well,” James said sadly. He glanced across at his bed, his eye caught by the writing on his trunk. Phyllida had once scrawled a big love heart decorated with flowers over it. It had been impossible to remove because she’d used a particularly complex indelible ink spell, so in the end he’d Spellotaped a picture of the Appleby Arrows over it.

“We need to do something.” Sirius’ voice dragged James away from Phyllida and back to the present. “They can’t go round attacking the Gee-Gees like that.”

James laughed. “Don’t call them that, or those girls will attack you. I agree, though; we can’t take this laying down.” He smiled lopsidedly at Remus. “Although Moony’ll have to for a while.”

Remus pulled a face. “Barty Crouch being there’s a bit odd, isn’t it? I mean, I know he’s a Slytherin, but his dad’s dead against the Dark Arts.” He frowned in concentration. “My dad mentions Crouch sometimes. He doesn’t have much to do with him, but one of the other clerks did some work for him.”

“Peter knows him,” James said promptly and looked in exasperation at his watch. “Where is he? I’m hungry.”

Sirius stood up. “Let’s go to dinner. He can join us, or else raid the kitchen later when we bring stuff back for Remus.” He laughed as he heard Remus’ stomach rumble. “Didn’t eat a lot of food on your date, then? Doing other things with your mouth were we, young Moony?”

Remus flushed slightly and then grinned sheepishly. “Not a lot of eating, no.”

Snorting, James and Sirius left the room and walked down the stairs to the Great Hall. The third years were particularly noisy and excitable, darting around and bumping into them as they descended.

“Were we as idiotic as them?” James asked, watching over the banister as a curly haired Hufflepuff boy, high on Honeydukes chocolate, careened into a suit of armour.

“I was always very cool,” replied Sirius. “But you’ve always been a twat.”

A shout from behind caused him to turn his head. Martha was running down the stairs towards him. He grinned at her, and stepped down onto the trick step. Tripping, he fell down the flight and landed awkwardly, banging his nose.

“Yeah, really cool, Padfoot,” guffawed James. “Shame you grew up.” He grabbed Martha as she ran down, stopping her from following in Sirius’ ungraceful footsteps. “Be careful, I can’t have my Seeker injured. Tryouts are next weekend; make sure you stay intact.”

“Brilliant!” she exclaimed. Releasing herself from James, she walked sedately to where Sirius was watching them from the floor. She sat down next to him and touched him gently on the nose. “Looks sore.”

Sirius touched his nose gingerly and then removed her hand. “Had far worse,” he replied, and grinned at her. “I’ll live.”

Standing up, he linked his arm around her waist and carried on down the stairs. James trundled along behind, hoping that someone “ anyone “ would turn up so he didn’t have to play gooseberry. But the Dining Hall was almost empty when they arrived. There was no sign of Lily, Mary or Sonia, and Peter still had not appeared. James frowned. He shouldn’t be worried “ Peter was probably just walking off his bad mood “ but there was something unsettling about his not being there.

“Potter!” Preston McLaggan called over to him. “Are you actually bothering with tryouts this term, or are you just picking your mates’ girlfriends?”

James looked across the table to see Preston leaning over towards him confrontationally. Sirius and Martha stopped talking, waiting for James’ response.

“Notice for tryouts is on the board, McLaggan. It’s been up since Tuesday.”

“And you’re going to pick the best people at the tryouts, are you?” Preston continued.

James stared at him briefly, and then reached across the table to skewer a leg of chicken with his fork. “I’ll pick the best players who can work as a team. Does that answer your question?”

“Meaning what?”

“He’s just told you, numb nuts,” interrupted Sirius. “He wants players that will work well together and have a bond ... like ... well, me.”

Hell, no! thought James. “Uh ... well, sort of, Padf-” He tried to put Sirius off, but he could see a gleam of excitement in Sirius’ eyes.

“You and me on the team together, Martha. That would be so cool. We’d tear the opposition apart.”

“YOU!” mocked Preston. “What position do you play?”

“Beater,” Sirius replied nonchalantly. “I just never tried out when you were captain because you’re a dick. But now that Gryffindor have a proper captain...” He smirked at James.

James glanced across at Martha, noting with alarm that she seemed eager to have Sirius alongside. Sirius could fly, and fly well, but he’d never been interested in being on the team before. It was James’ ‘thing’, a silent understanding in their group that James was the player and the others didn’t compete. He gnawed at his lip. He couldn’t stop Sirius from trying out. He’d never actively stopped any of them from playing, but after the second year when they’d all tried out and only he had been successful (making it as a reserve Chaser), James had thought he was the only one of the four who really wanted to play.

McLaggan stood up and, staring sourly at the three of them, stalked out of the hall. James looked at Sirius, waiting for him to laugh and say it was a joke, that he had no intention of trying out, it was just a wind up... but Sirius was smiling.

“You know what, Prongs?” he said cockily. “I think I will try out. You, me, and Martha “ we can rip those Slytherins apart.”

James nodded dumbly, hoping his face didn’t show the horror he was feeling. Bloody hell, how could he play Sirius ahead of McLaggan? But how could he not select his best mate?

He chewed at the chicken leg, not feeling very hungry anymore. Sirius was laughing with Martha and talking about brooms in great detail. Their conversation veered into tactics, and Sirius started to include James in the conversation, giving a brilliant “ but totally wrong “ explanation of why Hufflepuff had lost so badly to Ravenclaw last year.

“I’m off,” James interrupted when he’d heard enough. “Got ... um ... an Arithmancy essay to start.”

Sirius waved his hand in reply, but didn’t stop talking to Martha. James heard phrases like ‘blatching’ and ‘haversacking’ coming from Sirius’ lips and he groaned.

***


After leaving the Three Broomsticks, Peter hadn’t gone directly back to Hogwarts, preferring to walk by the river that ran around the village. It was quiet in the winter because most Hogwarts students preferred to be spending money or sitting inside where it was warm rather than to be squelching in the mud along the riverbank. Peter liked it there. Although he was never happier than when he was with his friends, never felt safer than when he was surrounded by them, he occasionally needed time alone to marshal his thoughts.

He’d been stupid to listen to James this morning. Sonia was not ever going to consider him boyfriend material “ certainly not while James was in the picture. Looking at the river, as it bubbled and swirled over its stony bed, Peter watched a duck trying to paddle upstream against the torrent. He wondered why it didn’t just give in, go with the current and drift back to the bank where the other ducks were. Were the minnows really that much better upstream? He sighed. Presumably, the duck thought so, unless it was just plain stubborn.

A sound from behind caused Peter to break off from his ponderings. Turning, he clutched his wand tightly as he saw Snape walking through the copse on the other riverbank, his wand raised.

“The others will be here very soon!” Peter blurted out as he brandished his wand. “You should leave while you have the chance.”

“I’ve been watching you for ages. There’s no sign of the others. You’re by yourself,” Snape replied slowly.

Peter eyed him warily, wondering why Snape hadn’t hexed him yet. “What do you want?”

“Nothing you’ve got, Pettigrew.”

Feeling uneasy, Peter gripped his wand tighter. He could feel his heart pounding in anticipation of a duel but, to his surprise, Snape lowered his wand. “Why are you here, then?”

Snape sat on the opposite bank and stared across the river. “I come here a lot “ just like you.”

Peter’s eyes widened. Had Snape been following him? “I’ve never seen you here.”

“I know.” Snape smiled at him. It was an odd smile, not a smirk, but not friendly either. It was a smile of curiosity, and yet it was knowing. “I didn’t want you to see me before.”

“But you do now?” The palms of Peter’s hands were slimy with sweat, as he tried to keep his voice steady. He wasn’t a fool; he knew that as duellers they were mismatched.

Snape said nothing for a long time, merely tilted his head to one side and carried on smiling as he watched the weaker boy. “Where is your gang, Pettigrew?” Peter said nothing. “I thought you Gryffindors had each other’s backs at all times.”

“They’re coming,” Peter replied, his voice rasping. “I’m early, that’s all.”

“Are you?” Snape mocked. “Or maybe they’ve forgotten about you.”

“No,” Peter said firmly, and glared at his adversary. For some reason, he didn’t feel as scared now. He was here alone, but his friends hadn’t let him down. He was here because he wanted to be. “Where are your friends, Snivellus? Oh, that’s right, you don’t have any. Not real friends. Not like mine.”

He pointed his wand straight at Snape, waiting for him to respond but, apart from a small twitch of his wand hand, Snape was motionless.

“I don’t need anyone else,” Peter thought he heard Snape mutter.

He stared at Snape. “Why are you talking to me?” he asked at last.

Snape shrugged; then, wordlessly, he stood up and walked away.

***


“You’re late!” Lily declared as Peter walked into the Entrance Hall.

Peter looked up at the clock. “Ten minutes, Lily,” he replied irritably. “It’s hardly a detention offence, is it?”

Lily raised her eyebrows; Peter wasn’t usually this snappish. “Well, according to the rules “” she began.

“Put me in detention then,” Peter muttered. “What the hell, I don’t have anything better to do.” He tried to walk past her, but Lily caught his arm.

“Hey, Peter, I was joking. Ten minutes is nothing,” she said softly, and smiled at him. “Anyway, I’m not on duty tonight, so I’m not giving anyone detention.”

He smiled gratefully back. “Sorry, I’ve had a bad-” he began, and then stopped “I thought you were on duty. Isn’t that why you came back early?”

“Mmm, I was supposed to be, but I had a bit of an ... er ... accident on the way back today, so Professor McGonagall ordered me to rest. So ...” She grinned at him. “Now that I’ve rested, I want some food. Do you fancy sitting with me in the Dining Hall?” Lily lowered her voice. “I have an ulterior motive.”

“Which is?” he asked suspiciously.

“Well, two, actually,” she admitted. “First of all, Sirius and Martha are still in there slobbering over each other.” She pulled a face, and Peter laughed. “And secondly, I want to pick your brains about something.”

“My brains?” he replied. “I’m sure James would help.”

“Umm, not so sure about that,” Lily said, blushing slightly. She tucked her arm into Peter’s and walked into the Great Hall with him. “I want to know, Peter, the best way to get into Hogsmeade without being noticed.”

Put on the spot, Peter managed to babble some answer about a back path into Hogsmeade, one that drifted into the Forbidden Forest so should be avoided. Lily looked at him through narrowed eyes, and it was clear she didn’t altogether believe him.

“Peter,” she muttered as they sat down opposite Martha and Sirius, who were now sharing a bowl of grapes, “I know you go into Hogsmeade regularly. It’s the only way you always have a supply of Butterbeer and Fizzing Whizzbees. Do you really expect me to believe that the only way in is through the Forbidden Forest? I don’t think even you four would be idiotic enough to go in there.”

Peter glanced up at Sirius, trying to catch his attention, but Martha was now throwing grapes into his mouth and cheering every time he caught one. “Er, well, yes, but that’s because we go in as a group and ... er ... we’re good at warding off strange animals ... and ...er ... Lily,” he broke off, aware he was sounding like a prat. “Lily, it’s not safe in the forest at night.”

“I’m not planning on going at night!” she exclaimed, raising her voice. “It’s tomorrow at noon. I just want a way into Hogsmeade that won’t be seen by everyone “ is that so bad?”

Alerted by her tone, Sirius turned to face them just as Martha threw a grape. It missed his mouth and hit his ear instead. Almost unconsciously, he rubbed his ear and looked directly at Lily. “Why do you want to go to Hogsmeade?”

“Private conversation, Black,” she replied sharply. “Get back to your fruit salad!”

“Look, Evans,” Sirius said witheringly, “if you want to know how to get in, then I’ll tell you. But ...” He smirked at her. “You have to ask me nicely.”

“I was asking Peter,” she snapped.

Sirius turned his eyes towards Peter. “And what has Wormy told you?”

“That there’s a path running through the forest,” Lily replied in disbelief.

Sirius picked up a small éclair from the plate in the centre of the table. “Mmm, there is, but I don’t think you want to go that way.” He bit into the cake and the cream oozed down his chin. “Perhaps, Lily,” he teased, “you should just stay behind and finish your Transfiguration essay.”

Lily glowered at him. “Fine! Don’t help me. I’ll find my own way in. After all, it’s can’t be difficult, you four have been managing it for years.” She turned to Peter, adding in a shrewish voice, “Sorry for wasting your time.”

“Lily, wait!” Peter called after her, but she didn’t look back.

“Is there another way in?” Martha asked.

Sirius flashed a smile at her and winked at Peter. “That would be telling.”

“Perhaps we should have told her,” fretted Peter.

“Yeah, ‘cause Prongs’d really understand us helping Lily meet up with her new boyfriend,” Sirius replied, and leant back in his chair. “This way she’ll stay behind like a good girl.”

Martha raised one eyebrow. “You really think so?”

“Course!” Sirius scoffed. “Lily Evans is not going to take what she’d call a stupid risk just to see some bloke she’s only met once.” Martha snorted. “Er, why are you looking at me like that?”

“Well, first of all, this isn’t the first time they’ve met,” Martha replied, tilting her head to one side. “Second, you didn’t see Lily in Slythy Fen when Rich carried her nearly a mile to our hotel.” She paused, obviously enjoying the attention from both Sirius and Peter. “Thirdly, Lily would take any sort of risk if she thought it was worthwhile.”

Peter gnawed at his cheek. “She won’t dare go in the forest,” he stated. “She’ll be too scared.”

“She dived into the lake to save James last term,” Martha said haughtily, “and today she and Sonia duelled with Mulciber and Avery. She isn’t a coward!”

“Duelled with who?” Peter asked, his eyes on stalks. “What happened?”

Martha picked up an éclair, popped it in her mouth, and then stood, evading Sirius’ arm as he tried to pull her onto his lap. “I’ll leave it to Sirius to explain, but you shouldn’t underestimate Lily, or any of us, just because we’re girls!

“We don’t!” protested Sirius, but Martha, after a last look back, stalked off, leaving the pair of them watching her in astonishment.

“What did I say?” Sirius asked.

Peter shook his head, and then reached over to help himself to some éclairs. “No idea, mate.”

***


James slept in the next morning. He’d found it hard getting to sleep the night before, for his head was awhirl with thoughts of Quidditch, flash barmen, Sirius, McLaggan, and Mulciber. Having seen the state Lily and Sonia were in when they’d reached the common room, he wasn’t fooled by their laissez-faire attitude. Sonia had been hurt, and he knew something had happened to Lily even though she wouldn’t admit it. In his mind, he’d started plotting, working out the Slytherins’ weaknesses, so they could exact revenge.

It had been a long night.

James looked around the dorm. Only Remus was still in bed. He wasn’t asleep, though: his eyes were open as he stared at the ceiling.

James coughed.

“Where are the others?”

“Early breakfast and then flying practise.” Remus snorted. “Did you tell Sirius to try out for the team?”

“Er, no,” James replied. “Please don’t tell me Peter’s going to try out as well.”

“Doubt it.” Remus yawned. “Padfoot just wanted someone to watch him. He was going to wake you up, but I told him you’d had a bad night.”

James sat up, and putting his glasses on, stared across at Remus. “How did you know I didn’t sleep?”

“Because I didn’t either.” Remus winced as he sat up. “I think Hogsmeade yesterday was a very bad idea. I can barely move without my muscles screaming.”

“You enjoyed it though, didn’t you?”

Remus smiled, but didn’t elaborate.

Stretching, James got up and padded across to the window. From their room he could see right across the grounds at the back and, in the distance, he saw Sirius and Peter returning. He watched them for a while, noting in alarm that as they approached they both seemed in high spirits. He could see Sirius gesturing with his hands and Peter nodding eagerly. Then they both looked up to the window and started to speed up. James ducked behind the curtain.

“Er... Moony,” he began. “You haven’t seen me, all right? I’m ... er ... going out.”

Without waiting for Remus’ reply, James picked up his clothes and Invisibility Cloak and dashed into the bathroom. Last night in the common room had been bad enough. Sirius had not stopped talking about Quidditch, and winding Preston up in the process. James didn’t need a whole day of this. He’d escape for a few hours whilst he tried to work out if he could avoid them both until the tryouts were over. “Perhaps if I land myself a really big detention,” he muttered to his reflection. His reflection grimaced. A big detention would solve any spare time this week, but nothing would solve the problem of him not selecting Sirius.

He washed and dressed quickly; then, slipping on the Cloak, he crept out along the corridor and down the stairs until he reached the common room. Sirius and Peter had just arrived back, so he slid up against the wall, listening to them regaling Martha and Mary with tales about their practise. His heart sank as it became abundantly clear that not only was Sirius going to try out, but Peter too.

Perhaps they’ve improved, he thought desperately, but deep down he knew that was too much to hope for. Sirius was temperamental, Peter too nervous. He caught a whiff of scent as someone else drifted towards them. James pressed himself against the wall as she pulled Sirius to one side. It was Lily.

“Are you going to tell me how to get into Hogsmeade?” she asked belligerently.

Sirius smirked and shook his head. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Miss Prefect.” He chuckled. “You’ll just have to stay here, won’t you?”

James saw Lily glare at Sirius. “I bet bloody Potter’s behind this!” she muttered. “Has he ordered you not to tell?”

“Oi!” Sirius exclaimed. “Prongs can’t order me to do anything. Look, Lily, Peter did tell you about the path through the Forest ... but it’s not safe. We don’t use it.”

“Then how do you get in?” she asked, sounding sulky.

Sirius’ eyes darted around the room. James knew he was trying to decide what to say, unsure probably if he should tell Lily, who was, after all, a prefect. “We ... er .. generally go out after dark. That’s how we get there and back without being seen,” he muttered in reply.

Lily leant in towards Sirius. James could see her staring very hard at his face. “I don’t believe you,” she whispered, and then, turning on her heel, she flounced off to talk to Sonia.

Sirius shrugged and returned to Martha. James, however, watched as Lily and Sonia began talking in whispers. He tried to sidle closer to them to overhear what they were saying, but all he could hear were low murmurings and the occasional giggle from Sonia. After half an hour, Lily glanced around the room and slowly edged out of the portrait door. Shortly after, Sonia followed. Seizing his chance, James crept out of the common room behind her.

As he thought, Lily was waiting and holding two cloaks. “Okay,” she said quietly. “We’ll walk out of the front entrance together and make out we’re going for a walk around the lake. Then, as we reach the edge of the Forest “”

“Lily, are you sure about this?” Sonia asked fearfully. “It’s the Forbidden Forest. You don’t know what could be in there.”

“Pfft, I can handle myself. I’ve been there before ... and at night.”

“Really?” Sonia’s eyes were round with astonishment. “When did you sneak out?”

“Oh...” Lily sounded vague. “Last year. There was something someone I knew wanted me to help him... er ... I mean her with.” She coughed. “Anyway, the point is, I’ve been in the Forbidden Forest before, so if I can only find this path, then I can get in to Hogsmeade.”

Oh, Good Godric, she’s planning on going through the Forest, James thought in horror. It wasn’t just the fact that she was obviously going to meet Soule, but taking that particular path. James shuddered. It was overgrown now; the Marauders hadn’t used it for over a year “ not since they’d found the tunnel behind the one-eyed witch “ but they’d never enjoyed this way into Hogsmeade and had only used it when absolutely necessary. Now they’d become Animagi, the Forest was a lot less terrifying, but James clearly remembered the first few times he’d ventured in with the others. Despite not wanting to show fear in front of each other, all four boys had been scared; they had stayed for only a few minutes before running back towards the lake.

For a second, James wondered whether to rip off his cloak and reveal his presence, but he knew that would not stop Lily or Sonia, who seemed, he was surprised to see, as excited as Lily. Instead, he followed them as they trotted down the winding stairs towards the Entrance Hall.

Lily looked “ there was no other word for it “ alive. She was smiling, giggling, her cheeks flushed with excitement and the possibility of an adventure. James felt something inside his gut gnaw at him, and he winced at the obvious joy on her face. He thought over summer, and then on the train, that they’d made a connection, that he had a chance to at least ask her out. But although she’d been friendlier to him since last year, their relationship was still far from what James wanted it to be.

He trudged behind them as they walked across the grounds and towards the lake, both still giggling. Then, as they slowed down, looking around them for the hidden path in the trees, James increased his pace. He ran until he reached the third beech tree on the edge of the Forest, and ducked behind. Muttering under his breath, he hastily cast an Engorging spell on a clump of thistles so that they covered the narrow entrance of the path.

“Lily, it’s not here,” he heard Sonia call. “Peter was probably making it up.”

“They manage to get in somehow,” Lily replied. James saw her pull on Sonia’s cloak sleeve. “Did Sirius ever tell you how they escaped?”

Sonia pulled a face. “We didn’t spend that much time talking, Lily. Far too busy-”

“Okay, okay, I get the picture!” Lily said quickly. James saw her look around again. “I think you’re right; there’s no entrance here.”

“Shall we go back?” Sonia asked. “I’m sure if you sent Rich an owl, he’d understand.”

“I am not going back to the common room now!” Lily exclaimed. “Potter and Black will be unbearable.” James saw her look towards Hogsmeade. “Look, Sonia, I’m going to take the normal path in and just duck behind trees or something. You don’t have to come with me.”

Sonia looked wistfully back at Hogwarts and then at Lily. James heard her sigh, and then she tucked her arm into Lily’s. “Come on, let’s go and meet Rich. I’ll stay in the Three Broomsticks or go on a long walk to leave you two together.”

He watched as the two girls moved to the side of the main path, carefully checking around them in case Hagrid or Filch were around. Then, heaving his own heavy sigh, James pulled the Invisibility Cloak tighter around him and followed them in.

***


Excitement and nerves fought inside Lily as she approached Hogsmeade. Beside her, Sonia kept up a constant stream of chat, but she was barely listening. Usually she thought Sonia’s conversation irritating, but today she found it helped to calm her and was grateful for the other girl’s company. She wondered where Rich would meet her, where he’d take her and “ she bit her lip nervously “ what he’d expect. He was older, probably twenty, she thought, and Lily was sure he must have had masses of girlfriends before.

“Are you all right?” Sonia asked, slowing her pace slightly.

Lily stopped. “Um, yes I think so. It’s just “” She paused, wondering whether Sonia would sympathise with or laugh at her fears. Just as Lily was about to confide in her, though, she heard footsteps and, turning her head, she saw a figure leaning nonchalantly against a tree.
It was Rich. He walked towards her, a broad grin on his face.

“Hi there.”

“Er, hello,” Lily squeaked. Next to her, Sonia started shaking, and Lily knew she was trying to stop herself from giggling.

As Rich cast a glance her way, Sonia stepped back from Lily. “Don’t worry, I’m not staying, unless “” she winked at Rich boldly, ““ you have a friend.”

Rich laughed. “Unfortunately, Miss ...” He stumbled, obviously not remembering her name.

“Slattery, Sonia Slattery,” Lily supplied.

“Unfortunately, Miss Slattery, I haven’t been here long enough to make friends, and the only man I know is an old goat-obsessed barman at The Hog’s Head.” He lowered his voice. “I doubt he’s your type.”

Sonia laughed again. “That’s okay. I’ll go and sit in the Three Broomsticks or something.” She started to walk off, calling out, “Shall I see you there in an hour?”

“Sounds good,” Rich agreed as Sonia slipped around the corner. Then he held out his hand to Lily. “Would you like to show me Hogsmeade? I’ve seen very little of it since I got here.”

She slid her hand into his and nodded.

From the corner of an alleyway, James watched as Lily and Rich walked through Hogsmeade. With weary resignation, he pulled off the Cloak and walked towards the Three Broomsticks. Sonia was sitting in the corner, nursing another cordial between her hands as he opened the door. She lifted her head, and then smiled in pure pleasure as she saw who had walked in.

At least someone’s pleased to see me, he thought. Peering out of the window, he could see Lily and Rich, still hand in hand, ambling slowly down the high street with all the time in the world. James sighed, took a deep breath and picking up his drink, sauntered over to Sonia.

“This seat free, Son?” he asked, and felt instantly gratified when she said yes.
End Notes:
Hope you liked that. Next chapter should be up soon, as I actually wrote it staright after finishing this one.
Chapter 18 - Consequences by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you, once again, to Ari and Kara who are fabulous betas.

“Did you follow us in?” Sonia asked as James sat down opposite her.

He was about to deny it, claim it was a co-incidence he’d decided to bunk off to Hogsmeade, but there was something about her expression that made him nod ruefully.

“Mmm, I thought I heard someone behind us, but I couldn’t see anything. You must be very good at hiding, James.”

“So-so,” he muttered in reply, and took a sip of his Butterbeer.

“I’m surprised you didn’t stop us. I didn’t think you’d want Lily to meet up with Rich,” she said, not quite looking him in the eye.

James feigned boredom. “Not bothered, Son. What Evans gets up to is her own business.”

“Why did you follow us then?”

James took a long slow gulp of his drink before answering. Then, placing his drink carefully on the table, he stared at Sonia. “Yesterday, you and Lily were attacked by the Slytherins. I just wanted to be on hand if they turned up again.”

“We managed yesterday,” she replied, a little archly.

“Yeah,” he agreed, “because Mulciber and Avery made the mistake of underestimating you both. They won’t do that again. Look, I don’t want to frighten you, but that was a nasty attack.”

Sonia reached out for her drink, but her hand was shaking so much that she knocked it over. The cordial spread out over the table, running towards James. “Oh, Merlin, that’s the second time. You must think me such an idiot.” Pulling out her wand, she hastily siphoned it away. “Sorry,” she whispered.

James gave her hand a small squeeze and smiled. “It’s okay, Sonia. I’m not wearing my good shoes today.”

She giggled nervously. “You did rather squelch out of here when you left yesterday.”

To his amazement, James found himself laughing back. In here, yesterday, it had been horrible. Lily had ignored him, Sonia had been all over him, and Peter had barely spoken a word. But today he discovered that Sonia was actually pretty good company when she wasn’t bitching or flirting. To his surprise, he realised that it was probably the first conversation they’d ever had without the others being around. They talked about school; she was finding N.E.W.T.s harder than she’d imagined and was wondering whether to drop Defence.

“But,” she said, sighing, “I know that’s the important subject. If I were going to drop anything, it should be Divination, especially as Professor Barwick is such an idiot.”

“It’s early days, Sonia,” James replied. “And, as you said, it’s important.”

“I think I’m just a bit wary of Professor Prewett, to be honest.”

James raised his eyebrows. “Prewett? What’s your problem with him?”

“Umm, nothing, really. I just ...” Sonia lowered her voice. “He seems like he really knows what he’s talking about, doesn’t he “ like he knows exactly how to fight.” She shivered. “It scares me. Makes everything seem a lot more serious.”

She slumped back in her chair, all smiles and laughter gone, simply looking forlorn. James said nothing, but sipped at his drink, strangely tongue-tied.

“I miss Phyll,” she blurted out. “Lily and Mary are good company, and we’re friends, but she was my best friend, and I can’t talk to the others in the same way.”

Her eyes glimmered with unshed tears and James felt embarrassed, praying she wouldn’t start crying in the pub, not with Rosmerta’s beady eyes on them.

“Is, not was,” he muttered.

“Pardon?”

“You said Phyll was your best friend. She still is.”

Sonia sniffed and then pulled out a handkerchief. “Not if she doesn’t come back.”

Again, he reached over and squeezed her hand, but this time, instead of withdrawing it, he kept it there. “She’ll come back. I’ll help you persuade her.”

“Oh,” Sonia gulped and giggled through her tears. “Wasn’t that just a ploy to spend time with us yesterday? Honestly James, you and Peter were so transparent.”

James grinned sheepishly at her. “Were we?” She nodded. “Yeah, sorry about that... but I do mean it about Phyll. I miss her, too, you know.” He stood up. “Would you like another?”

Sonia nodded, so James went to the bar. Rosmerta pulled a face at him, obviously disapproving of his skiving out of school, but he knew she was too shrewd a business woman to actively turn away customers.

“Given up on Lily, I see,” she said as he paid for the drinks.

“What?” he asked distractedly, and then cottoned on to what Rosmerta was implying. “It’s not like that. Sonia just happened to be in here.”

“By herself?” Rosmerta queried.

James picked up both drinks, but before he walked off, he glanced at Sonia and then back to Rosmerta. “Not exactly. Uh, Rosmerta, your new barman...”

“Mmm, what about him?” Rosmerta pursed her lips. She peered behind James and over to Sonia, who was gazing expectantly at James. “Ah, I see. Lily walked in with Sonia, met Rich, and you followed them. Not really the way to woo a girl, James. She’ll think you’re a creep.”

“You know something, Rosmerta,” James retorted. “I’m getting a bit sick of everyone lecturing me.”

He walked briskly back to the table, and slammed his drink down. It slopped over the side, but James barely noticed. Handing Sonia her drink, he sat down and moodily stared at the wall ahead.

“What’s the matter?”

“Nothing,” he snapped, and took a swig of his drink. Sonia looked down at her hands. He noticed her swallowing hard and immediately felt guilty. “Sorry, I’m annoyed with Rosmerta, not you.”

“Why, what did she say?”

“Doesn’t matter,” he said, and shrugged. “Do you want to do something else? I don’t really want to stay here.”

Sonia glanced at the door and out of the window. She sighed. “I said I’d wait here for Lily, but you can go if you want. I’m sure we’ll be okay.”

“No, I’ll wait,” he replied sourly. “Will she be long?”

The pub door opening answered his question; James looked across and saw a laughing Lily being dragged inside by Rich. Together they walked up to the bar, where Lily sat on a bar stool whilst Rich vaulted over the bar and started to serve her.

“Rich, if you’re working, then please serve some of the other customers first. Lily can wait!” Rosmerta demanded. “Besides, her friends are waiting in the corner for her.”

In alarm, Lily looked up. Spotting James and Sonia looking at her, she frowned and then hopped off her bar stool. “Why are you here, Potter? It’s Sunday.”

“Nice to see you too, Evans,” he sniped back. “Sorry, I didn’t realise I had to ask you for permission to have a drink. I could ask you the same question.”

Lily flushed angrily. “It’s none of your business,” she muttered. “I just think it’s rather a large co-incidence that you’re here the same time as us.”

James snorted. Leaning back in his chair he smirked at her. “It’s your first time breaking the rules, Evans, but you should know by now it’s not mine. Besides, you may be a prefect, but you’re hardly in a position to lecture me, are you?”

“I had a good reason!” Lily declared.

“Mmm, I’m sure McGonagall will be only too willing to give you a pass out so you can have a snog,” he argued back.

Over at the bar he could see Rosmerta frowning in their direction and Rich eyeing the group curiously. Sonia had sunk back into her chair, watching the pair of them, but saying nothing.

“That’s why you’re here, isn’t it,” Lily hissed. “You wanted to stop me from seeing Rich, didn’t you? Merlin, Potter, I thought you’d finally started to grow up and accepted the fact that I don’t want to go out with you. I never did, so why would I change my mind now?”

He flinched at the vitriol in her tone. Then, suddenly, he was annoyed with her. He hadn’t wanted her to meet Soule, that was true, but the fact that she knew that and flung it in his face angered him.

“You know what, Evans,” he muttered, just loud enough for her and Sonia to hear. “I don’t give a toss. Yeah, I followed you in. But if I’d wanted to stop you seeing lover-boy, then I could have. I had a hundred chances to hex you on the way in, but I didn’t.”

Lily opened her mouth to protest, but James carried on, reeling off a list.

“Leg-Locker Curse, Stunning Spell, Bat-Bogey’s “ you know I’ve used them all in the past when people have annoyed me. Heck, I could even have turned you into a screeching Banshee. Thing is, I doubt anyone would have noticed the difference.” He downed his drink in one gulp and stood up. “Are we ready to go?”

“I’m not going anywhere with you,” Lily said fiercely.

“Well, I’m not leaving without the pair of you,” James retorted.

“Lily, please,” Sonia whispered. “James is only trying to protect us.”

Lily glared at James and then switched her attention to Sonia. “I can handle myself, Sonia. I think I proved that yesterday.”

“As entertaining as this spat is, can you three take this outside?” Unseen by any of them, Rosmerta now stood beside the table, collecting their glasses. “Shouldn’t you be heading back to school before they realise you’ve gone?”

“I am not going anywhere with HIM!” Lily declared, raising her voice.

Rosmerta took a deep breath. “Well, I guess I can spare my barman for another hour. He’ll walk you back to school. Just wait for us to close after lunch, Lily.” She turned her head towards Rich, who was wiping down the bar and removing glasses. “Rich, make sure you get Lily back to Hogwarts, all right?”

“My pleasure,” he replied, smiling at Lily.

“But he hasn’t got a wand-” James exclaimed, breaking off abruptly.

Rich looked at him with interest. Slowly, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a very short, thin wand. “Of course I have a wand, Mr Potter. I never travel anywhere without it. Don’t worry about Lily; I’ll get her back in good time.”

Nonplussed, James stared at Rich, and then dropped his eyes. Sirius must have been mistaken. Rich could not have been the wizard from the Forest. He dropped his shoulders and turned to Sonia. “Shall we go?” he asked dejectedly. She nodded and stood up to join him.

They walked out of the Three Broomsticks in silence. He felt utterly defeated and that angered him. Perhaps Rich Soule really was okay; perhaps it was just his jealousy over Lily that was preventing him from liking the man. But as they turned the corner, walking past the post-office, he heard someone shout his name. It was Rich. Telling Sonia to wait, James trundled back.

“Yes,” he said, acidly polite.

Rich leant in close and grasped the lapel of James’ cloak. “I’d like to know, Mr Potter, why you thought I didn’t have a wand.”

James stared into the older man’s blue eyes, feeling the force of his personality seer into him. He didn’t flinch, or look away, but insolently held Rich’s gaze, all the while thinking quickly. “That wand in your pocket isn’t yours,” James said at last. “I noticed yesterday; it’s far too short for someone of your height. I assumed you’d borrowed it.”

“Oh, so you’re an expert on wands now?” Rich sounded almost amused, as if trying to bait James into saying more.

“My dad’s a historian,” James replied nonchalantly, “and he’s studied wand lore. He tells me things.” He glanced back to Sonia, who was waiting anxiously on the corner. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to get back to school now.”

Rich let go but not before wiping the palm of his hand on the folds of James’ cloak. “No doubt I’ll see you again, Mr Potter.”

“No doubt at all.” Slowly, James walked away, turning back only once to see Rich watching his every move. “Soule,” he called quietly. “Lily and Sonia were attacked yesterday on the way home. That’s why I followed them. Make sure she gets back safely, yeah?”

Rich inclined his head and turned sharply back to the pub. James sighed. He didn’t altogether trust the guy, but for some reason he knew Soule wouldn’t harm Lily.

“What was all that about?” Sonia asked as he joined her.

“Not much,” James replied. “He’s just an arse.”

***


“What did you need to speak to Potter about?” Lily asked later. Rosmerta had closed up now, and Rich was just collecting up the last remaining glasses from the tables.

“Nothing much,” he replied. “I got the feeling he needed to speak to me.”

“And did he?” she said nervously.

Rich placed the glasses on the bar, and then reached over to the bar stool next to her where she’d placed her cloak. “Why didn’t you tell me you’d been attacked yesterday?”

“Oh, that,” she muttered. “It was nothing, Rich, really. Just a stupid boy who wanted Sonia to kiss him. She refused, and we duelled a bit.” She smiled up at him. “We came out of it pretty well, you know.”

“Mmm, I can believe that,” he replied as he helped her into the cloak. “The ‘stupid boy’ didn’t want a kiss from you, then?”

“Merlin, no,” she said, feeling faintly ashamed. “I’m not his type at all.”

Taking her hand, Rich walked with her to the door and together they stepped into the street. There were dark clouds threatening more rain, and she shivered as the wind bit through her thin cloak. Noticing this, Rich wound his arm around her, running his hand up and down her arm to keep her warm.

“Not his type?” he queried. “You’re pretty, bright and female. What’s he after?”

“A pure-blood,” she replied succinctly. “Muggleborns like us are called Mudblood “ that’s ‘dirty blood’, Rich. According to someone like Avery, we shouldn’t be in the Wizarding society and certainly not at Hogwarts.”

Rich’s mouth gaped open in astonishment. “That’s what the fight was about? Lily, you shouldn’t have come here today. No wonder Potter was so prickly.”

“Oh, Potter was just showing off,” Lily replied uncomfortably. She blushed. “He’s got a bit of a thing about me. It’s not serious, I mean he’s never serious about anything and quite honestly he’s so immature, but ... well ...” She cleared her throat. “I think he’s got the message now.”

“Oh,” Rich said slowly. He paused in the middle of the pavement, and turned to face her. “And what message is that?”

“Er... that I’m ... er ... n-not interested in him,” she stuttered.

She could see Rich bowing his head towards her, and she gulped, unsure exactly what was going to happen next. Before she could think, push him away, or even respond, he’d gently brushed her lips with his own and then pulled away. “You’re so cute when you’re flustered, Lily-Lily,” he whispered in her ear.

***


“So then Sirius tried to convince me that he hadn’t forgotten my birthday at all, but that the present he’d bought had been held up at the Owlery,” Sonia said, laughing as she and James sped back to Hogwarts.

“But you didn’t believe him,” James stated. They were hurrying along on the side of the path through long wet grass. Although they were talking, James was keeping a watch around them in case the Slytherins -- or even worse a professor -- suddenly appeared.

Sonia tossed her head and grinned at him. “’Course not. I knew by then that Sirius wanted to finish with me; he just didn’t have the guts.” She stopped smiling. “He was trying to get me to end it, so I hung on. More to annoy him, really. Then he became very distant, and it wasn’t fun anymore.” She stopped walking and gazed at the castle in the distance. “I shouldn’t be telling you all this, should I? After all, he is your best friend.”

“Yeah, he is,” James replied simply. “But I know he can be a pain at times. Merlin, he wants to try out for the team next week. And he’s persuaded Peter to have a go, too. I think I’m doomed to have the worst team in Gryffindor history.”

Sonia started laughing. “Sirius would spend more time watching Martha than the game. Plus he gets bored so quickly. And oh, oh, oh, I’m sorry, but the thought of Peter on a broom! He can barely fly straight.”

James frowned. She was unerringly accurate in her assessment, but her mockery of Peter jarred him. “He’s my friend as well,” he said moodily, and kicked a stone with his shoe.

“Sorry,” she muttered, and stepped away to the side on the verge of the path.

He watched as her mouth drooped and she stared at the ground. She walked on further away from him, anxious it seemed to get some space between them. “He’s my friend,” James called after her. “I just don’t understand why you won’t give him a chance.”

Sonia turned to face him, raising her arms in bewilderment. “He’s Peter! I know that sounds mean, but I don’t think of him in that way.” She took a breath. “Janice Diggory!”

“What about her?” James asked wondering why on earth she was talking about a fierce-looking, stocky Hufflepuff in their year.

“She likes you, James. She asked me all about you last year whenever we had Herbology. Would you like me to introduce you “ properly?”

“Merlin, no!” he exclaimed.

“Why not?” Sonia scoffed. “She’s perfectly nice. Why won’t you give Janice a chance?”

“Because... because ...”

“Because you don’t think of her in that way, do you?” Sonia put her hands on her hips and stared at him. “At least I’m honest enough to admit it. I’ve never given Peter the slightest hint that I’m interested, yet you all expect me to go out with him because he likes me, because he’s a good mate!”

She turned away from him, flouncing onto the main path without giving him a backward glance. James watched her, grudgingly admiring her spirit, and jogged to catch her up.

“I’m sorry,” he called after her. “Sonia ... wait!”

“Why, so you can shout at me some more?” she asked, striding further ahead.

He reached out and plucked at her sleeve then pulled her to face him. “You’re the one shouting,” he said softly, and grinned at her. “And threatening me with Janice Diggory. Wow, you’re mean!”

Grudgingly, she smiled back and then started to giggle. Close up, James noticed how deliciously her lips curved when she smiled and how her eyes sparkled when she laughed. He wondered what it would be like to kiss her. Sirius had wrapped himself around her for three months, but never elaborated except to hint that she was more than up for it. He inched infinitesimally towards her, noting that she’d tilted her head up towards his as if she knew what would happen next.

Peter. The picture of his friend flittered into his mind. I can’t.

He meant to step back, or turn his head away, perhaps just plant a soft peck on her cheek instead of those inviting, rose-petal lips, but something kept him there. Sonia was now so very close, and he realised that his hand had moved from her arm to her waist.

“Well, well, well. What have we here? Two students on their way back from an unauthorised trip into Hogsmeade. I’m sure your Head of House will be very interested in what I have to tell her,” growled the voice of Hogwarts’ caretaker, Argus Filch.

***


Professor McGonagall studied them both for a long time before speaking. After listening to Filch’s report, she flapped him away to the back of the room with her hand and bade James and Sonia to sit on two hard wooden chairs.

“Well!” she barked at last. Sonia jumped at her tone, but James “ being used to it “ sat back. “What do you have to say for yourselves?”

“It was a m...m...mistake,” Sonia stammered, and cast James a sidelong glance. She took a breath. “We weren’t coming back from Hogsmeade, Professor McGonagall. We were just taking a walk and strayed onto the path.”

James saw his Head of House raise one eyebrow. “Indeed, Miss Slattery. Then tell me how you managed to stray so far from the grounds of Hogwarts?”

“Er...” Sonia glanced at James despairingly. “We lost track of where we were?” She laughed slightly and lowered her voice. “We were a bit distracted, Professor.”

“How touching,” reposted Professor McGonagall. She turned to face James, who hurriedly assumed a blank expression.

Hell, he thought, she doesn’t believe a word of it.

“You concur, Potter?”

“What?” he replied. “Oh ... er ... yeah. Sonia and I were just taking a walk and ... uh ...” He stopped under Professor McGonagall’s glare. Now was not the time to lie. They’d been too far out of Hogwarts to make it seem like an error. “Okay, Professor, here’s the truth. I went into Hogsmeade. I know I shouldn’t have, but I was trying to escape from Sirius and Peter.” He leant forward and grinned at her. She didn’t grin back, so he decidednot to try a wink. “They want to try out for the team, and I’m running out of places to hide, so I ran off.”

“Carry on!” she barked.

James swallowed. “I was coming back and I ... er met Sonia “ Miss Slattery-“

“I am aware who Sonia is, Potter!”

“Yeah, sorry.” James cast his eyes to the ground. “Sonia was ... um ...”

“I was just out for a walk, Professor, and happened to meet James-”

“Then she started shouting at me for going into Hogsmeade. I ... er ... got into a bit of a mood and started to walk away. Sonia followed and um ... that’s how we ended up on that path.” He stared directly into Professor McGonagall’s eyes, knowing that it would look as if he were telling the truth if he didn’t drop his gaze. “Sonia wasn’t in Hogsmeade.”

“Mr Filch said you were a ‘courting couple’,” she said, exchanging a look with the caretaker still standing at the back of the room. “He reported that you were kissing. I think it highly unlikely that you would meet “ by chance “ and start kissing, Mr Potter. Or am I so dreadfully out of touch?”

“We weren’t kissing!” James replied vehemently.

“Mr Filch was mistaken,” Sonia whispered, but she wouldn’t look at either James or the professor.

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips. “Well, Potter, if that is your story...”

“It is,” he replied.

“Then you acted in a wholly irresponsible and reckless way. You know the rules, and yet you still decided to flout them.” She paused. “I had hoped that giving you the position of Quidditch Captain would make you more responsible. It seems I was wrong and I must reconsider.”

“What?” James got to his feet, shaken out of his usual insouciance. “B...but, Professor, that’s unfair. It was just a trip to Hogsmeade.”

“It is against the rules. You are aware of that.”

James felt sick to the pit of his stomach. Dumbly, he unpinned the badge from the front of his jumper. He noticed how it shone in his hand and felt a lump in his throat.

“No!” exclaimed Sonia, and stayed his hand. “Professor, it’s not James’ fault. He was following me. I was the one sneaking into Hogsmeade, and James followed because he knew it wasn’t safe.” She swallowed and then leant across the desk. “Please, Professor, it’s not fair to punish him.”

“You went in by yourself,” Professor McGonagall stated. Sonia nodded. “Why?” The question dropped like a stone in a pool.

James looked across at Sonia as she licked her lips. She too held the professor’s gaze. “I was meeting someone,” she replied. “I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t have been, but he’s ... er ... not at Hogwarts.”

There was a long, long silence. Professor McGonagall assayed them both and then leant forwards. “You realise, Miss Slattery, that if what you’re saying is the truth I’ll have no option but to bar you from the next Hogsmeade trip and put you in two weeks detention. Furthermore, there’s a loss of house points from Gryffindor to consider.”

Sonia swallowed. “I understand, Professor.”

“What on earth were you thinking, setting off alone? Especially after yesterday.”

“I “I-I wasn’t thinking,” Sonia stuttered. She turned to James. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to get you into trouble.”

James stared at her, conflicting thoughts revolving around his brain. Sonia wasn’t exactly lying, her version of the truth only omitted Lily from the story, but he felt odd letting her shoulder all the blame. He could feel the pin of the badge cutting into the palm of his hand. His dad had been so proud. Perhaps sensing his unease, Professor McGonagall pounced.

“Is this true, Potter?” she murmured.

Sonia imperceptively nodded. “Er...” James hesitated.

“Excuse me, Professor,” interrupted the nauseous creeping tones of Filch. “I saw this pair together.”

“You saw us on the path home, yes,” Sonia corrected. “I’ve already admitted that.”

Filch stepped forwards. “No, no, no, Miss Slattery. I saw you and Potter here, sitting in The Three Broomsticks together. You looked very cosy, and there was no one else there.” He paused and smiled nastily. “Later, I saw you both in the high street, walking back.”

James slumped in his chair. Sonia, beside him, bit her lip. “Sorry,” she whispered.

“It’s not your fault,” he muttered. He looked from Sonia to Filch and then turned his gaze onto his Head of House. Stretching out his hand, he carefully placed the badge on her desk and wordlessly walked from the room, too upset to hear the rest of his punishment. He heard Sonia’s chair scrape back as she stood up and quickly followed him.

“I’m so sorry,” she moaned, once they’d reached the corridor. He could see tears swimming in her eyes. “It’s unfair that you’ve been punished. You didn’t do anything.”

James laughed hollowly. “Makes up for all the times I wasn’t caught, I suppose,” he said bitterly. He turned to face the wall and thumped at the stone brickwork. Several of the portraits jumped and squealed at the sound, but James was oblivious. He carried on hitting the wall, all the while aware that Sonia was standing with him. He wanted her to go, to leave him alone but, at the same time, he felt pathetically grateful that she’d stayed. At last, he turned around and faced her. “Thanks for trying, Son.”

By now the tears were streaming down her cheeks, she looked so unlike the composed, beautiful girl she usually was that James stared harder. Aware of his scrutiny, she turned her face away. “I’ll ... er ... leave you alone.”

“Don’t want to be seen with the ex-Quidditch captain now,” he retorted sarcastically, desperate to wound someone. ”Don’t see me in that way, anymore, Slattery.”

“Oh,” she murmured, and took a step towards him. She touched him gently on the arm. “No, James, it’s not that at all. I just thought you’d want to be by yourself.” She sniffed. “Plus, I must look an absolute fright.”

Slowly, as if in a dream, as if it were happening to someone else and he were merely watching, James lifted his hand to her face. Gently he brushed away her tears; then, cupping her chin, he lowered his lips to hers. If Sonia hesitated, it was only for a brief second. Lifting her hands to his neck, she responded urgently. James pulled away momentarily, a myriad of emotions swirling inside him. He’d lost the captaincy and Lily couldn’t give a toss, but here “ right now “ there was this girl, a beautiful girl, and she was kissing him.

“What’s the matter?” Sonia murmured, gazing up at him, her lips half-parted in anticipation.

“Nothing,” he muttered, and started kissing her again.

Somehow, James found they’d inched themselves up against the wall. A portrait to the right was chuntering about the ‘youth of today having no morals.’ Sonia started giggling and pushed James away. “Perhaps this isn’t the best place for this.”

James groaned as Sonia stopped and began to move away. She held out her hand, smiling up at him. He took her hand and allowed her to lead him away from the corridor. But the break from her kisses caused something “ or rather someone “ to loom large in his mind. “Oh Merlin, Peter,” he whispered in horror.

Halting abruptly, the loss of motion jerking Sonia back towards him, he closed his eye and let go of her hand. “I can’t do this, Sonia. Peter ...” He tailed off under the hurt look waving across her face.

“I don’t fancy Peter,” she complained. “I do fancy you. And just now, you seemed to find me not exactly repulsive either.”

“It’s complicated, Son. He likes you a lot.” He ran his hands through his hair and clasped the back of his head. “I shouldn’t have kissed you. I was angry at losing the badge and it suddenly seemed like a great idea.”

“Oh, so I’m just a bloody consolation prize, am I?” she hissed. Spinning on her heel, she started to walk off, but stopped abruptly. “You weren’t angry on the path back to Hogwarts, James.” She stepped back in front of him. “You were going to kiss me then, weren’t you?”

“N-N-No,” James stammered, but he knew she wasn’t fooled.

Smiling at him, Sonia stood on her tiptoes and very gently kissed him on the mouth. He closed his eyes. Merlin, it felt good. His arms dropped to his sides and he slid them around her waist, pulling her into him. But Sonia pushed him away. “I’m never going to go out with Peter. You know that, and I’m not going to ask you to choose. I know I can’t win against your friends, so it’s up to you and what you want.”

He watched her walk away, watched as she didn’t turn around, but left him standing there. “The Quaffle’s in your hands, James,” she called as she slipped around the corner and out of his sight.

***


Lily entered the Gryffindor common room on a high. Although she’d been fearful about sneaking back to Hogwarts “ especially with a man who wasn’t a student “ her fears had been assuaged by Rich’s knowledge of a certain spell. He’d Disillusioned them both and, although she knew they were not actually invisible but merely camouflaged, it had been far, far easier making the return trip.

She smiled to herself for, as they’d reached the boundary of Hogwarts, Rich had released her from the disguise. She’d felt a warm glow steal over her as she became visible, and then his lips, still cool from the illusion, found hers and he’d kissed her far more intensely than he had in the high street. Her senses reeling, she’d reluctantly bade him farewell, and watched for a while as he’d slunk back to Hogsmeade, his outline blurring as it became one with its surroundings.

“And just where have you been all afternoon, Miss Evans,” declared a giggling Mary as she stepped inside the common room. She was sitting with Remus and Peter, playing Exploding Snap. Opposite them, Martha was leaning against Sirius, writing an essay, whilst Sirius was reading a magazine and absentmindedly twirling her hair between his thumb and forefinger.

“I,” Lily replied as she shrugged off her cloak, “found a way into Hogsmeade.”

“How?” asked Sirius, putting down his magazine and eyeing her curiously.

“The main path,” she declared. “Quite easy when you keep a look out. I don’t know why you four always made such a big deal about getting in.”

“Beginner’s luck,” grunted Sirius, and resumed reading his magazine.

“And the help of a skilled wizard,” Lily agreed. She started giggling again. She sat on the sofa next to Martha and helped herself to an apple from the fruit basket on the table. “I learned a new spell today. It’s almost like having an Invisibility Cloak.”

“Oh.” Remus and Peter looked up from their game, obviously intrigued. “What was it?”

“That,” Lily replied as she bit into her apple, “would be telling. And I’m not sure I want to share with you, especially as none of you would help today.” She swallowed and turned to Sirius. “Telling Potter was just stupid. He didn’t even try to stop us.”

“Er, I didn’t,” Sirius said, and yawned. “Not seen James all day, actually.”

Hearing the common room door slam, they all turned around to see Sonia standing there. She stared at Lily. “You got back, then,” she said softly.

Lily nodded and began to tell her how easy it had been. Sonia lifted her hand and turned away. “Good for you. Not so good for me and James, though.”

“Did you get caught?” Lily laughed. “Wow! The great James Potter isn’t as good at sneaking around as he always lets on.” She grinned at Sonia, but her smile faltered when she saw Sonia was glaring venomously. “Oh, come on, Sonia. It’ll only be detention, won’t it?”

Walking over to the group, in earshot of the entire common room, Sonia shook with rage. “James lost the badge, Lily. He’s no longer captain of the team, and he was only in Hogsmeade because of us. Actually, no, he was only there because of you. I was only there because of you. I just hope Rich was worth it.”

Open mouthed with shock, Lily flicked a hand through her hair. Her fingers strayed down to the prefect’s badge attached to her robe. “I didn’t know,” she whispered. Around her she could see the others staring at Sonia in horror. “Does Professor McGonagall know about me?”

“Of course not!” Sonia exclaimed, scorn dripping from her mouth. “We don’t sneak, do we, EVER.”

“Where’s Prongs?” Sirius interrupted. “Sonia, where’s James now?”

She nodded her head wearily. “I don’t know.”

“Oi,” said a voice from the corner. “Are you telling us, Slattery, that Potter’s no longer captain?”

“That’s right, McLaggen, “ muttered someone from the doorway. It was James. Refusing to look at the seated group, he half-smiled at Sonia, and then directed his words to Preston. “Perhaps you’ll get another chance. Or maybe McGonagall will show some sense and pick Martha instead.”

“James, I had no idea.” Standing up, Lily walked across to him and touched him gently on the arm. “I’m so sorry.”

He looked down at her hand on his arm, her long fingers squeezing sympathetically, but it wasn’t sympathy he wanted now. He jerked away from her. “Forget it, Evans,” he said shortly. Turning his back on them all, James headed out of the common room and up the stairs to his room.

In his dormitory, he sat on his bed staring at the picture of his parents on his bedside cabinet. He knew they loved him, spoilt him and would forgive him anything, but the badge had meant so much to his dad. James was bright, he always got good marks on his exams, so whilst his O.W.L. marks had made his parents happy, they had been expected. Being Captain, however, was different. It showed his Head of House thought highly of him and, after the frequent letters home complaining of his irresponsible behaviour, it had been a refreshing change. Of course, they would forgive him, but he sorely wished there was nothing to forgive. Sighing, he reached across to his drawer and pulled out a quill and parchment.

There was a knock on the door. James frowned. The others wouldn’t knock, so it had to be someone else “ Sonia, probably. He sighed. He didn’t want to face that dilemma right now. There was another knock.

“Can I come in?” Lily called from outside.

“Why?” he asked brusquely, not sure he wanted to speak to her either.

“Because I need to talk to you, and I don’t want the rest of Gryffindor to hear.”

Relieved that it wasn’t Sonia and he didn’t have to deal with that particular situation, James picked up his wand and opened the door. Lily stepped inside and looked around. “Bit different from when we were first years,” she murmured, attempting a smile.

James shrugged. “What do you want?”

She winced at the undercurrent of hostility in his tone, but didn’t flinch from her purpose. “Why did you follow us into Hogsmeade?”

“Curious, I suppose,” he lied.

There was a silence. Lily sat on the carpet in front of him and stared at the picture of his parents. “Sonia is very angry with me. I’ve never seen her in such a rage. She says you were only trying to protect us. Is that true?” she asked softly.

James looked at the picture, his dad with a loving arm around his mum, who looked for all the world as if she were exasperated with all his attentions. But James knew she wasn’t. His mum loved his dad very much, and if there was any irritation it quickly died down.

“I was curious,” he admitted. “I wanted to see if you’d actually make it into Hogsmeade.” He smiled at her slightly. “You both did well, despite Sonia rabbiting all the time.” Lily smiled back. “But I also wanted to be there in case you were attacked again.”

She laughed scornfully. “Potter, they wouldn’t dare. Plus, Mulciber and Avery are in detention. They won’t be able to leave Hogwarts for at least a month.”

“They’re not the only ones,” he replied searchingly. “There’s a whole gang of Slytherins who won’t like the fact that the pair of you hurt two of theirs.” He recited names, ticking them off his fingers. “Nott, Rookwood, Snape.” He paused, noticing that she looked away when he said that particular name. “Crouch, and even Regulus Black. Look, I’m not trying to scare you, but that’s the second time you’ve been targeted.”

She whipped her head around, but he didn’t think she looked surprised at his assertion. “Because I’m a ‘Mudblood’!”

“Because you’re a Muggle-born, yes,” he corrected. “Phyllida’s mum was a Muggle-born, Lily.”

“You think they want to kill me!” It sounded preposterous when she said that, but James didn’t laugh.

“I think they’d like nothing better than to hurt you,” he replied. “You’re a bright student, and that must be really annoying to them. All their theories about Pure-blood supremacy die when they meet someone like Mrs Lacey “ or you.”

Lily swallowed. Without speaking, she stood up and started to walk to the door. As she left, her hand lingered on the door handle. “Thank you for telling me,” she said in a quiet, calm voice.

Although he had no desire to sit in the Great Hall and eat dinner, James knew that by putting off facing the other Gryffindors it would make breakfast even more unbearable, so he agreed with his friends that he’d join them at the table. All four were subdued as they entered the common room before dinner. Remus stayed by his side, not joining Mary, and James felt grateful for that. His friends would always be there for him. He glanced at Sonia, but she wouldn’t look at him. Looking round the room, he couldn’t see Lily, and wondered briefly where she was. Surely, she wasn’t afraid to face him, not after they’d talked.

The common room door opened; Lily entered, followed by their Head of House.

Her eyes scanned the room and he thought he caught a glimmer of a smile on her face as they rested momentarily on Preston before she found James. “Potter, you dropped this in my office. I trust you haven’t been looking too hard for it,” she said, and held out her hand.

McGonagall unfurled her fingers; he saw his badge, his shiny, bright Quidditch captain’s badge, lying on the palm of her hand. “B-B-But I thought,” he stammered.

“I said I needed to reconsider. I have now reconsidered, and have come to the conclusion that you are still the best person for the job.” She gestured to Lily. “Miss Evans has assured me that you were only trying to protect her and Miss Slattery, so I hardly think I can penalise you for showing such gallant responsibility, especially as you are a Gryffindor.” She paused, adding sternly, “You will have a week’s detention to serve, and I am deducting twenty house points apiece, but I expect you to win them all back once the season starts.”

As she turned to leave, her gaze strayed on the Quidditch try-outs poster. “Ah, good. You’ll be after fresh blood this year, will you, Potter?”

“Possibly, Professor,” he replied, still in shock. He stared at the badge in his hand. “Er... thank you.”

“I’d rather your thanks were saved for the pitch, Potter, or some responsible behaviour in class,” she stated. With a last ghost of a smile, she left the common room.

“YES!” yelled Sirius as he punched the air. “We’ve got our captain back. Wormy, let’s have another practise after dinner.”

Aw, hell, no! thought James, but he couldn’t stop laughing.
Chapter 19 - Dangerous Detention by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to Kara (Karaley Drargen) and Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter and really helping me.

Detention without Sirius had its compensations, James decided. For a start, it meant he could avoid talking about Quidditch with his suddenly- obsessed friend. Also, although his mate was a lot more fun than Lily and Sonia, detention tended to end in them both being given an extra detention because of the havoc they’d caused. Detention with the girls was a much calmer affair. No doubt the fact that no one was actually talking to each other helped the serenity. Lily, he assumed, was embarrassed by the whole thing, and Sonia ... Well, she was definitely ignoring him and didn’t seem to want to talk to Lily, either.

He was quite impressed, actually. He’d expected Sonia to start badgering him about that kiss again, despite her saying she’d leave the decision up to him, but instead she didn’t say a word. She wasn’t rude “ exactly “ but when he did catch her eye, she would turn away and not look back.

James wondered why he wanted to catch her eye. Given that she was ignoring him, he could easily pretend that nothing had happened. That way Peter would never find out. He scrubbed harder at his cauldron. Tonight was his last detention. He wouldn’t have to think about gunge-encrusted cauldrons, or the way Sonia’s bottom jiggled when she was scrubbing particularly thoroughly. Not that he was watching Sonia’s bottom, exactly. But sometimes he just happened to notice...

Shaking his head, he thought about tomorrow. He was holding try-outs and would no doubt spend his evening being harangued by Sirius and Peter about the team.

He heard a muffled cry and looking up from the burnt cauldron saw Sonia holding her wrist. Lily hurried to her side, and he heard her ask what was wrong.

“There’s something sharp at the bottom of that one,” Sonia explained, and as she turned to Lily, James saw that her thumb was bleeding.

“Sir,” Lily called to Professor Slughorn, who was supposed to be keeping an eye on them, but was actually in his study. She glanced back at Sonia’s thumb, which was bleeding profusely now. “I’ll go and get him.”

“Merlin, just use your wand, Evans,” James declared. “We’re not allowed to use magic to clean these things, but Slug’s not going to argue about using our wands for that.” He smirked at her. “He’s especially not going to mind you using magic, Little Miss Prefect.”

She scowled at him, but brought out her wand. Sonia, however, stepped back, grasping her thumb to her chest. Before Lily could react, James saw Sonia swaying. Instinctively, he ran forwards and caught her.

“Steady, steady,” he soothed. “Merlin, it’s not that deep is it?”

“Blood,” she murmured incoherently.

Looking into her face, James saw her eyes roll back into her head.

“B-but, you were fine the other day when Mulciber attacked. Lily was cut,” he said in astonishment. But Sonia was beyond comprehension. He laid her down on the floor and crouched by her side.

“Her own blood, Potter,” remarked Lily. “Don’t you remember Sonia’s Boggart in our third year?” He shook his head. “It was her dismembered hand, oozing blood.” She knelt down by Sonia and this time brought her wand out. “Enervate!”

Sonia opened her eyes. “I feel very odd,” she said woozily.

Looking at her thumb, James saw a long jagged cut, leeching into her palm. The blood seemed odd, frothing somehow. He frowned and then, standing up, he peered into her cauldron. Embedded in the goo and grime of the last class’s experiments, he saw something. Gingerly, he poked it with his wand, and then leapt back.

“Godric! That’s a Venomous Tentacula spike!” He turned round sharply to look at Sonia; she was very pale with sweat beading on her forehead.

“It can’t be!” Lily replied. She sounded calm, but as she caught James’ eye, he saw that she was worried. “These are from a first year class, Potter. They don’t use restricted ingredients “ you know that.”

James didn’t listen. He ran to the door shouting for the professor, his voice echoing through the Dungeons.

“James,” called Lily urgently. “She’s fainted again.”

Shouting again for Slughorn, James ran back to Sonia. Her lips were bloodless now, as white as her face. She was shivering, her body twitching in tiny spasms.

“Professor Slughorn!” screamed Lily. “We need help!”

“Merlin, where is that fat oaf?” James demanded furiously. “This is no good. Unless you can brew something up, Evans, I’m taking her to Pomfrey, NOW!”

“It’ll take too long. Besides, it might not be a Venomous Tentacula,” Lily said, but her shaking voice belied her words.

“Check the bloody cauldron yourself, if you don’t believe me,” he snapped. “I did pass Herbology, you know.”

“Sorry,” she muttered.

James thought she was about to start talking to him again, but as he watched Sonia fall further into unconsciousness, he swiftly picked her up in his arms and charged out of the classroom. “You coming?” he called as he ran through the Dungeon.

Lily nodded, pausing only to pick up the cauldron Sonia had been cleaning.

“This is becoming a habit, Potter, taking people to the hospital wing, I mean,” she panted as they rushed up the stairs. It was after nine in the evening and the staircases were quiet, unmoving, as there were hardly any pupils around to prank.

“Sirius knew what he was up against,” James muttered. He glanced at Sonia; her breathing was becoming shallower. He wondered briefly whether to run to Professor Dumbledore, but if he wasn’t in his study, they’d waste more time. “This is something else.”

James was starting to tire, but he kept on running as Sonia’s head lolled to one side. Although she was slight, his arms ached as he pounded up each flight of stairs. The tempting thought of a Lightening Charm floated into his head, but he dismissed it remembering the havoc it had wreaked on Sirius.

“Lily,” he gasped, “Go on ahead, and warn Madam Pomfrey.”

She nodded and he saw her streaking past, still carrying the cauldron. Within minutes, as he ascended the sixth flight of stairs, he heard a commotion in front of him and caught a glimpse of red hair. He sighed with relief. She was back and had help.

“What’s happened?” The voice of Professor Prewett reached him before James could discern who was with Lily. James looked up to see Prewett and Madam Pomfrey, worry etched on their faces.

“Venomous Tentacula spike,” he wheezed. “She scratched her hand.”

“Okay, Potter, you’ve done very well. That was very quick thinking,” Madam Pomfrey said as she assessed the girl in his arms. “Professor Prewett, if you’d take Miss Slattery to the hospital wing now.”

“I can carry her,” James protested.

“No,” Madam Pomfrey ordered. “You’re exhausted. She’ll be all right, Potter; the spikes aren’t as dangerous as the fangs. You may follow on behind us, if you wish.” She glanced at Lily. “Bring the cauldron, please, Miss Evans.”

Heaving himself up from the floor, scarcely aware that Lily was holding out a hand to help him up, James took a huge wracking breath. “Merlin, that was close.”

“You were so quick,” Lily said in a hollow voice. “Sorry, I wasn’t much use there.” She gazed at him. “What did you mean about this being something else?”

James started walking along the corridor, trying to formulate his thoughts. He badly wanted to speak to the others, but Lily needed to know, and he had to check that Sonia really was going to recover.

“You said it yourself,” he said at last. “First years don’t use restricted ingredients. That cauldron was spiked in more ways than one.”

“But why?”

He stared at her in non-comprehension. She must know why. Her refusal to accept what was plainly obvious infuriated him.


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake, Lily,” he snapped and snatched the cauldron from her, as he picked up the pace and ran to the hospital wing. “The whole bloody school knows we had detention. They all knew us three would be in that classroom cleaning cauldrons; it’s McGonagall’s favourite punishment, having us do something menial.”

“So it was deliberate. Is that what you’re saying?”

Lily was asking a question, but James knew from the look in her eyes that she believed him.

“Mmm, and I don’t think they cared which one of us they got.” He carried on speaking as he ran again, up the final flight of steps and along the corridor to the hospital wing.

At the door, Professor Prewett stopped him. “Not yet, Potter. Madam Pomfrey is getting her into bed. I’ll take the cauldron, though.”

James nodded and handed it over. From the corridor, he could hear Sonia crying.

“Is she going to be all right?”

“She will be.” Professor Prewett paused as they waited for Lily to join them. “Madam Pomfrey is applying something to draw out the poison. It’s painful, believe me, I’ve had the same trouble, but it does work.” He smiled ruefully, and then held up his arm, displaying a jagged scar. “Look, Potter, Miss Evans, Professor Dumbledore is going to want to speak to you about this before you speak to anyone else.”

“Of course,” Lily replied.

James didn’t look at her or the professor, thinking mutinously that he needed to speak to Sirius right away.

“Potter!” rapped Professor Prewett. “You’ll go and see Professor Dumbledore with Miss Evans.”

“Yeah,” he said, and sighed. “We’ll see Sonia and then go.”

Prewett studied him closely; then, without another word, he walked back into the hospital wing. James watched as the teacher placed the cauldron on Madam Pomfrey’s desk and, using a silver knife, cut out the Tentacula spike. Lily stepped closer towards him “ so close James could hear the rise and fall of her breathing. He turned his head slightly, but didn’t look away from the curtained area where Sonia was. “You okay?”

“Mmm, just ... well ... it could have been any of us, couldn’t it?” She gulped, and James turned fully to look at her. “If it had been you...,” she muttered, before trailing off.

James looked at her, unable to believe what she was saying. Was he important to her? Did she care?

Lily peered through the glass, now concentrating on Sonia. “If it had been you, I don’t know what we’d have done. Sonia wouldn’t have recognised the plant, and you saw me, I didn’t want to believe what it was. You were so quick, James.”

He looked away, annoyed with his thought. Mulishly kicking the wall in front of him, he mentally berated himself for jumping “ yet again “ to the wrong conclusion. Setting himself up for another fall.

“You can see Miss Slattery now,” Madam Pomfrey murmured as she walked across to them.

She had drawn the curtain around the bed, and as James entered the ward, he saw Sonia, propped up on pillows, still looking pale but with a wan smile on her face. “Thanks,” she murmured, addressing them both. Her eyes lingered on James.

“Does it hurt?” he asked, noticing that although her hand was bandaged, it was seeping something gooey and obnoxious.

“A little,” she sniffed, then winced as she tried to wiggle her fingers. “Actually, rather a lot. And I’m really thirsty, but Madam Pomfrey hasn’t brought me a water jug, yet.” She looked beseechingly at Lily, who smiled back and walked off to the corner of the ward where there was a sink and a cupboard full of jugs.

“Thanks again,” Sonia murmured. “Madam Pomfrey told me you acted quickly and this could have been a lot nastier.”

“Rescuing damsels in distress is my thing,” he joked, and sat in one of the chairs by her bed.

Although Sonia was smiling, she looked suddenly rather sad. He saw a tear glimmering on her lower lash, and looked away. Shuffling his feet, he wondered whether to leave. “Bet you wish the damsel had been Lily, don’t you?” Sonia said at last in a strange small voice. “You kept looking at her all through detention tonight.”

“Was I?” James said, puzzled. Then his face cleared and he grinned. “Actually, Son, I was avoiding looking at you.”

“Here you go,” Lily said breezily as she placed the pitcher of water on Sonia’s bedside cabinet. “I’ll pour you a glass, shall I?”

“What did you say?” Sonia asked.

“Do you want a glass?” Lily repeated.

“No, not that.” Sonia shook her head and stared at James. “Why?”

Out of the corner of his eye, James could see Lily looking on in bemusement, the glass still in her hand. This was not the time or place for this type of conversation, especially as he hadn’t worked out exactly why he was avoiding looking at Sonia. “Peter,” he muttered in undertone.

Sonia sighed. “Yes, of course,” she replied. She gave a sudden yawn, which James instinctively knew was fake. “Look, I’m really tired now. I think I’d like to sleep if you don’t mind.”

“Sure,” Lily replied chirpily. She bent forwards and gave Sonia a quick hug. “You get a good night’s sleep. Potter and I have a date, anyway.”

“We do?” James raised his eyebrows.

“Mmm, with Professor Dumbledore, remember?” she teased.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked apologetically at Sonia. “Yeah, right. We’ve got to go through this with him,” he explained to her. “Um, any idea when you’ll be out?”

“Tomorrow, sometime,” Sonia replied wearily, and closed her eyes.

She did look tired, he thought, and frail as she lay in the hospital bed, her head on a crisp clean pillowcase, her fair hair fanned out beneath her. An odd feeling stole over him “ a mixture of anger, irritation and something else he couldn’t identify. He was angry she’d been hurt, annoyed he’d not protected her, and ...

“Potter, come on!” Lily pulled at his arm. “Let’s go. I’ll be back tomorrow, Sonia, after breakfast, okay?”

“Mmm, sure,” Sonia mumbled. “Bye, then.”

Pulling away from Lily, James raised his hand to wave goodbye, but Sonia still had her eyes closed.

***


Their friends were all sat together in one corner of the common room when James and Lily returned. Professor Dumbledore had not kept them for long. He’d asked pertinent questions, and promised both of them that the matter would be looked into. He’d also warned them that this was a matter for the professors to look into, and assumptions should not be made. James had stiffened at that, feeling that the headmaster’s warning was meant solely for him, but he’d nodded his agreement.

“Miss Evans,” Professor Dumbledore had said as they were leaving. “I understand you have another week of detention.”

Lily had blushed and nodded mutely.

“Rest assured; you will not be scrubbing cauldrons again, especially not without supervision. Perhaps a detention helping our esteemed librarian will be more suitable.”

“Thank you, sir,” Lily had murmured, still blushing as they’d left the room.

She hadn’t looked at James as they’d walked back to Gryffindor Tower and it had felt awkward between them. Despite the fact that they’d worked together to save Sonia, there was still a cloud that had descended over them.

So, as they walked back into the common room, both were pleased to see the others there.

“Where’s Sonia?” Mary asked, as Lily perched on the cushion next to her.

“Hospital wing,” Lily replied.

“Oh, Merlin. What now?” asked Sirius, adding scathingly. “Did she break a nail? Or splash something in her hair?”

“She got scratched by a Venomous Tentacula spike, Sirius,” James said, his curt tone causing Sirius to raise his eyebrows.

“Is she all right?” Peter asked. He sounded worried, and stood up. “Should we go and see her?”

Lily placed her hand on Peter’s shoulder. “She’s fine and also sleeping. Madam Pomfrey took good care of her.”

Feeling guilty as he watched Peter’s expression, James slumped against the wall next to Martha. “One of the cauldrons had been tampered with. Dumbledore’s warned me off from finding out who did it, but I bet you fifty Galleons it’s got something to do with Mulciber and that crowd.”

Sirius met his eyes. Slowly he removed his arm from Martha and leant forwards. “Not taking your bet, Prongs. It has to be something to do with them. Probably Snivellus’ idea.”

“No,” interrupted Lily. Everyone stared at her, and James saw that although she reddened, she held Sirius’ gaze. “We don’t know what happened. It could have been an accident.” She turned her head and spoke directly to Remus. “You can’t take revenge on anyone.”

“It was them!” exclaimed James angrily. “Who the hell else would want a Gryffindor dead?”

“Madam Pomfrey said the leaves weren’t fatal, James,” Lily protested. “It could well have been a prank that went wrong, like some of the ones you get up to.”

“No,” James muttered, furious that she was making excuses. “Madam Pomfrey said they weren’t as dangerous, Evans. They’re still poisonous.” He tore his eyes away from her, instead focusing on Remus. “The leaf was embedded in the side of the cauldron. Very difficult to see.”

“Sticking Charm, probably,” muttered Remus thoughtfully. “Look, Lily’s right, we can’t actually do anything without proof. Perhaps this time we should leave it to Professor Dumbledore.”

“I know that!” James said through gritted teeth. “I’ve already had to promise him I won’t get involved.” He removed his glasses and rubbed at his eyes. He didn’t want to talk anymore. He was done with discussion; the feeling of impotence was gnawing at his gut.

“I’ve got an essay to finish,” he muttered as he stood up. “I’ll see you back in the dorm.”

***


He had feigned sleep when the others got back to the dorm. Whilst he ruminated on the past week, Sirius and Peter were muttering in low tones about Quidditch. With an inward groan, James remembered that tomorrow they’d be trying out for the team and that Sirius, he was sure, expected to get in. He heard them all yawning, being surprisingly considerate and not waking him up, and he smiled as he, too, began to feel drowsy. He couldn’t worry about Quidditch anymore. As he slipped into that strange world between sleep and wakefulness, his mind drifted to the past week in detention.

He thought Sonia’d been playing games, ignoring him to spark his interest. Perhaps she had, but he didn’t think she’d faked her sadness tonight. She’d looked so pale, so vulnerable, and it had been far too close a call.

And Lily ... He gnawed his lip. What was the point in trying? As Sonia said about Peter “ Lily didn’t think of him in that way, and if he were honest, he was beginning to tire of the chase. It had been fun last year, part of the game, and he could cope with her constant rejection because there was nothing to lose.

But since she’d saved him from the lake and then turned up in Godric’s Hollow, they’d become almost friends. He snorted; arguing in the Three Broomsticks wasn’t exactly what friends did, but she’d shouldered the blame for the Hogsmeade trip, and he’d regained his badge. They got on now, but probably wouldn’t if he continued to pester her.

He’d let it go.

Move on.

After all, Sonia was very pretty.


***


James slept well, despite some very strange dreams involving Sirius flying on his broom in his Animagus form and Peter pelting him with Venomous Tentacula spikes. Reaching across to his bedside cabinet, James picked up his glasses, and watched as the room swam into sharp focus. Then, sitting up in bed, he gazed out of the window. It looked cloudy, yet there was no rain and only a slight breeze “ perfect flying conditions. He grinned to himself. If it weren’t for the fact that he had to run the try-outs himself, he’d be looking forward to today. It was always fun watching the new kids. A lot of them had no idea, and thought it would be easy because they could fly. Only a few of them realised that it took other skills, like co-ordination, concentration and daring to make the team. His eyes flicked to Sirius. On his day, Sirius had all three, but it was rarely his day and he was erratic. He looked over to Peter and sighed.

“He might surprise you,” Remus murmured quietly from his bed by the door.

James didn’t ask how Moony knew what he was thinking. Remus was always the most perceptive of the four of them, and it wasn’t hard to divine what would be on his mind on the morning of the try-outs.

“He’s been practising hard,” Remus persisted. “Padfoot, too.”

“Better than McLaggan?” James asked, and laughed wryly at Remus’ lack of response. “Yeah, I thought not. Moony, I can’t not play Preston. He’s a good Beater. If he turns up today, then I only have one other Beater position. Godric, I’ll be pleased when this is all over.”

“Mmm,” agreed Remus. “You can stop avoiding them both. Be nice having you awake in the dorm instead of pretending you’re asleep.”

James grinned sheepishly. “Has it been that obvious?”

“Could say that,” Remus replied. Getting up, he crossed the room and sat on the edge of James’ bed. “They’ll get over it, Prongs.”

“Are you coming to watch?”

“Of course,” Remus replied,“I’m going to hex you if you don’t pick Mary.”

“Thanks for that!” James grinned at him, feeling much happier. “Fortunately for you, ‘cause I’d hex you so badly back, your girlfriend’s place is pretty much a given.”

Remus got up and limped back to his bed, one of his legs still hurting from the previous week’s transformation.

“Moony,” James called.

“Mmm.” Remus stopped and turned around.

“Are you going to tell Mary about your ... um ...”

“Furry little problem?” Remus suggested. He stayed where he was and stared out of the window. “I should, I know, but I’m not sure it’s worth telling her if it’s not serious between us.” He looked back at James. “Does that make sense?”

“Oh yeah,” breathed James, “complete sense.”

***


Sitting in the stands, near the commentary box, James looked down on the Gryffindors assembled below. It wasn’t a bad turn out. Once he’d weeded through the first-years who always turned up at the beginning of term absolutely sure they’d bend the rules for them, he thought he could run a reasonably good session. It was nearly two o’clock and he’d said they’d have to start on time, but he couldn’t see any sign of Sirius. He smiled, hoping that Sirius had changed his mind. But as he scanned the crowd, he realised with a feeling of foreboding that Martha wasn’t there either.

“He’s messing me about before the season’s even started,” he muttered with gritted teeth.

“What’s that?” asked Remus, who’d joined him in the stands. He looked tired, but happy, and was waving to Mary down below.

“Martha isn’t here yet, and coincidentally neither is Padfoot,” James grumbled. “You got your girlfriend here, why can’t he?”

“Mary knows she’s got to prove herself, I s’pose,” Remus replied. “Anyway, you can stop worrying now, they’re here.”

Scowling at Remus, because he wasn’t worrying (that made him sound like an old woman) rather he was irritated, James turned his head back to the pitch to see Martha running and towing a swaggering Sirius by the hand.

Leaping on his broom, James flew down to the pitch, landing perfectly.

“Right,” he declared, raising his voice slightly so everyone at the back could hear. “Before I start the tryouts, I need to make the usual announcement.” He grinned slightly as he caught sight of Rodney Clearwater. “No first years are allowed on the team. That is NOT negotiable, so -- clear off.”

Rodney and a cheeky-looking girl ran off the pitch but stayed on the sidelines.

“Okay, I’m going to split you into groups, depending on which position you want to try out for. I need to see if you can fly, if you have good co-ordination, but most importantly -- ” his eyes flickered briefly to Preston who was standing right at the front, “-- that you can work with me as a team.” He paused. “You know, because they’ve left, that I’m looking for a Keeper, a Chaser and a Beater, but I want to emphasize that no-one’s place is secure on this team “ except for mine. Everyone will need to try-out. Got that?”

James turned sharply on his heel and, mounting his broom again, hovered above them. From the air, he split them into groups and then ordered them to fly around the pitch. He flew with one group of Chasers, pleased that Mary was flying well and showing all her old flair. Then, as they started tossing a Quaffle between them, he resumed his place with Remus in the stands.

“She’s doing well,” he murmured. “You won’t need to hex me.”

Remus grinned sheepishly. “Any other ideas?”

“Nope,” James replied, wiping a hand over his brow. The others in Mary’s group were not in her league. Telling them to land, he signalled to the other group to start.

“Hold on,” Sirius yelled. “I’ve decided I’d like to try out for Chaser instead.”

“Go ahead,” James replied. He was puzzled at Sirius’ change of mind, but as he flew towards the group, he understood. Lysander Hughes stood in that second group. From what Martha had said, he’d been training hard. And from what Sirius had said, he was after Martha.

As he had done with the first group, James flew alongside them as they soared through the air. He knew Sirius could fly, but hadn’t seen Lysander in action before. He was good. The practise with Martha had obviously paid off, and his broom was a decent one, too.

“You didn’t try out last year,” James called as he flew up to Lysander.

Lysander flashed him a grin, displaying an engaging smile. “Didn’t have a good enough broom, and there was no point with the Chasers on the team.”

James nodded, acknowledging the compliment. He looked around to see where his other Chaser partner from last year was. Duncan Wilson was in the seventh year. A good, solid player, he flew without flair, but was ultra-reliable. James frowned; he hadn’t counted on Duncan not trying out.

After flying a few more laps with them, James discarded the weak flyers and set the others to Quaffle practise. Sirius had flown well, with all his usual dash, and James had no choice but to put him through to the next stage. Smirking as his name was called, Sirius snatched up a Quaffle and threw it straight to Mary. James watched their practise for a while and after sending Lysander and two other boys up to join them, walked up to Preston.


“Is Duncan coming?” he asked.

Preston shook his head. “Seventh year and he’s taking six N.E.W.T.s. His dad told him he needed to quit Quidditch.” He sounded scornful. “Won’t happen to me, Potter, just so you know. You can’t use that as an excuse.”

“Excuse?”

“You’re itching to drop me, aren’t you?”

James faced him, head on. “I will if you can’t work with me,” he admitted, “but you’re a good Beater. If you have a problem with me as captain, McLaggan, then leave now.”

“I’m going nowhere,” Preston muttered.

About to answer, to say he’d be pleased to have him on the team, James was interrupted by the sound of someone shouting. He turned his head and groaned as he saw Martha pointing up in the air, shouting furiously at Sirius.

In the air, Sirius and Lysander were fighting. Or rather, Lysander was reeling back, his nose bleeding after what looked like an elbow in his face.

“What the hell is going on?” shouted James furiously.

“Accident,” muttered Sirius. “We were both going for the same Quaffle, and I got there first.”

“It was my sodding Quaffle!” Lysander yelled as blood dripped onto his shirt. “You barged out of nowhere.”

“It’s QUIDDITCH!” roared Sirius. “If you can’t take that in a game, then you shouldn’t be trying out.”

“You were supposed to be the Keeper, you git!” Lysander turned away from Sirius and looked at James. “Mary had an idea that we divide up and practise with the Quaffle. She threw to me, and then he --” Lysander glared at Sirius, “-- rushed over from the hoops and elbowed me in the face.” He stared at the blood on his hand, looking whiter now. “Merlin, I think I’m going to throw up.”

Taking him by the arm, James escorted Lysander down to the ground and glanced up at the stands to signal to Remus that he needed some help. Then he started to smile. Ordering Lysander to take some time out and deep breaths, he mounted his broom and flew towards the commentary box.

“You’re out of hospital,” he said to Sonia, unable to stop the stupid grin on his face.

She was sitting between Remus and Lily, huddled up in a fur-lined cloak, her hand bandaged, and a slight flush on her cheeks as she smiled up at him.

“Very observant, Potter,” mumbled Lily, but he ignored her.

“Madam Pomfrey said I could come and watch as long as I kept myself warm,” Sonia explained. “How’s it going?”

James shook his head. “Don’t ask. It was all fine until Sirius decided to take out Lysander.”

“Mm, we saw,” Lily commented. “I think you should get back to Lysander, by the way, before Sirius loses his rag completely.”

“Wh...aaaat?” James looked down to the ground. Lysander was no longer alone, but had been joined by some of the Gryffindors from his year. Martha was crouched by his side, which had not escaped Sirius’ notice.


“Oh, bloody hell. What is wrong with him?” cursed James. He flew off, heading towards Sirius, who was swooping down to the ground.

“Padfoot, get back to practise!”

Sirius carried on flying but swivelled his face towards James. “Just checking he’s okay,” he muttered.

“He’s got plenty of people there,” James replied calmly. He sped up and flew slightly in front of Sirius. “Besides, Moony is on his way over to take a look at him.”

Sirius grimaced but didn’t return to the other Chasers. “He doesn’t need Martha then, does he? Little runt!”

Catching his arm, James leant over and whispered, “And Martha doesn’t need you dragging her away. Not just before she tries out, okay?” He stared into Sirius dark grey eyes, imploring him to return to Mary. “Please, Padfoot, just drop it.”

“Okay,” Sirius muttered at last. He hovered in front of James. “He is a twat, though. You know that, don’t you?”

“Yeah, sure,” James replied. “But so’s McLaggan. Doesn’t stop him being a good Beater.”

Sirius held his gaze for a moment and then flew off, but instead of returning to the other Chasers, he flew down to where Peter was. James watched as the pair of them spoke for a while and then Sirius walked away towards the stands.

Flying up to Mary and the others, James told them to take a break whilst they waited for Lysander to recover, and then called for the Beaters to start flying. With a sinking heart, he saw Peter mount his broom and push off. James turned away, unwilling to look at this fiasco on a broomstick and sped back to where Sonia and Lily were still watching.

“Oh!” Sonia exclaimed. “That’s a surprise.”

“What is?” James asked wearily, still not watching the flyers.

“Peter,” Sonia replied.


Thinking she was mocking Peter, James scowled, but noticing that Lily also looked surprised, he twisted his head around to watch. Sonia wasn’t being sarcastic. Whatever had happened in the past week, Peter had made a definite improvement. He wasn’t as skilful as James was, didn’t fly with the Sirius’ flair, but he wasn’t wobbling as he usually did. With great determination, he accelerated past McLaggan and swerved around the corners of the pitch. There weren’t many in the group either, and although Preston was clearly superior in the air, Peter certainly wasn’t worse than anyone else at the try-outs.

“You look surprised,” remarked Sirius sardonically as he sat down next to Lily. “In shock, actually, Prongs.”

“Uh, I am. I had no idea Peter was that good.”

Sirius shrugged, “We’ve been practising all week, and Fabian gave us a few tips.”

James gave him a sidelong look, noting the irritation still on his face. “Do you want to try for Beater as well?”

“Is that your way of telling me I won’t make Chaser?” Sirius asked, his voice abrupt.

“Haven’t made any decisions yet, Padfoot,” James said lightly.

“Glad you’re not letting it all go to your head, Potter,” Sirius muttered darkly.

Catching Lily’s raised eyebrows and Sonia’s pursed lips, James ignored him and called to Preston to fetch the Beater’s Bats and Bludgers. Then, as he approached, he asked them to hit the fast moving Bludgers through the hoops. To Preston, naturally this was easy. His aim was true, but James barely concentrated; he was too nervous for Peter.

“Go on, Wormy,” he mumbled.

Peter connected well with his first shot, but sent the Bludger just wide of the middle hoop. The next Bludger zoomed towards him, and again he connected, but he’d lashed at it too quickly and the Bludger now went very wide. Watching Peter, James appreciated how good McLaggan was. The Bludgers moved fast, but he always seemed to make more time to hit it. Peter was connecting, but had no idea about aiming. He was just blasting it into the sky.

James smiled encouragingly, and his heart lifted a touch when Peter’s third hit went straight through the left hoop. But as the third flyer flew forwards, James realised Peter’s hopes were sunk. Small, not the usual build for a Beater, but there was something about the way the flyer watched the others ... something about their concentration that caught James’ attention.

“What’s your name?”

“Carla Fenwick,” she replied. She smiled slightly. “I think you knew my brother, Benjy.”

James laughed. Of course he remembered Benjy Fenwick. He’d been captain of the team when James had first arrived at Hogwarts and had given James his chance on the team halfway through his second year. Benjy had been a fearsome Beater, so if Carla had the same Quidditch skills, she was a cert.

She did. Unerringly accurate, she possessed the eye to hand co-ordination that Peter did not, as well as a ferocious determination to succeed.

James watched the other flyers out of politeness, but he’d made his mind up. Preston would retain his place and Carla would partner him.

***


It was the end of the session. Four long hours had passed until finally James had been able to see everyone and try a few plays with some of the hopefuls. He looked across to the stands; Sirius and Peter had departed to the changing rooms, but Remus was still there with Sonia and Lily. They’d been joined by Rodney and the cheeky girl from earlier. James ruffled Rodney’s hair, and thanked him for coming along, then asked him to scarper. Rodney grinned and along with the girl, they left.

“Padfoot and Wormy aren’t happy with me, then,” James stated.

“They’ll be fine. Wormy realised he had no chance, especially when that girl turned up. Padfoot ... well ...” Remus pulled a face. “I think he’s annoyed with himself.”

“And Martha’s annoyed with him too,” Lily chipped in.

“Don’t know what she’s upset about,” Sonia said, sighing. She cast a sidelong glance at James. “I’ve always wanted men fighting over me.”

“You had Avery after you last week,” Lily said, giggling. “Don’t know what you’re complaining about.”

“He’s not a man, he’s a Flobberworm.” Sonia shuddered, then shook her head and turned back to James. “Have you decided on your team?”

“Mmm, think so,” James replied. “Moony, d’you remember Benjy Fenwick?”

Remus laughed. “Yeah, you hero-worshipped him, didn’t you?”

“Ha ha, very funny, I don’t think,” retorted James. He leant forward and watched as Carla walked across the pitch to collect her broomstick. Now dressed in Muggle clothes of trousers and a jumper, her slim figure and short dark hair slicked back behind her ears made her look more like a boy than a girl. “That’s his sister, Carla. She was impressive, don’t you think?”

“Very tom-boyish,” Sonia said, with an edge to her voice. She stood up, and winced when she put her hand down on the seat, as she levered herself up. “I think I’ll go back. I’m getting too cold out here. Are you coming, Lily?”

“Not yet. I need to go to the Owlery,” Lily murmured vaguely.


Sonia walked away, towards the wooden steps that led to the pitch. James watched as her shoulders began to sag disconsolately. She was still in pain and yet had turned up to watch the try outs when he knew she had little interest in Quidditch.

“Sonia, wait,” he called. “I’ll walk back with you.”

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Remus raise his eyebrows at Lily, who smiled back knowingly.

“Uh... Prongs, what’s “” he began.

“Nothing, Moony, I just don’t think she should be walking back by herself, not if Avery’s around.” James spoke quickly, aware that it was a feeble-sounding excuse.

He strode towards Sonia, who hadn’t stopped walking and didn’t look around when he approached.

“I don’t need an escort,” she muttered. “There are lots of people going back to the common room.”

James touched her very gently on the arm. “I don’t want to go back there yet,” he whispered. “I wanted to find somewhere quiet where we could ... uh ... talk.”

“About Peter?” she said archly , moving away from him.

She walked quickly down the stairs. James stayed where he was staring after her, wondering what to do. Behind him, he could hear Lily teasing Remus about Mary, and Remus responding with his own remarks about Hogsmeade barmen. That decided him. He bounded down the stairs, two at a time, until he reached Sonia. Catching hold of her arm, he pushed her towards a nook under the stands.

“No, I want to talk about you and me, Son,” he murmured huskily. “What do you think?”


Her lips curved into a smile, and she peeped at him from under her lashes. “Are you asking me out, James Potter?”

He chuckled. “I guess I am ... just ...” He paused momentarily, touching his fingers to his lips and then to hers. “Let’s keep this between us for now, yeah.”

“Ashamed of me?”

“Merlin, no. You’re beautiful, Sonia. I just want to see how things go before I tell the others, all right? I don’t want to upset Peter if we break up after a week. Do you understand?” She didn’t answer, so he leant in closer whispering, “You said the Quaffle was in my hands; I’ve just passed it to you.”

She narrowed her eyes slightly, still saying nothing. James wondered if she’d push him away, if she were angry with him. But instead, she lifted her hands around his neck, and very slowly kissed him on the mouth. James dropped his broom, and slid his arms around her waist. Pushing her up against the wall, he kissed her back, enjoying her closeness.

Then she pulled away, and stared into his eyes. “I won’t remain a secret forever, James, but we’ll play it your way, for now, and take things slowly.”

James pulled her back towards him and started to nuzzle her neck, delighting in her sighs. “Not too slowly, I hope? I’d like some fun.”

“Halloween,” she breathed.

“Huh?”

“I’ll give you until the Halloween Feast to decide, James. If you haven’t told your friends by then, we’ll end it. Until then, we can meet in secret. But ...” She started nibbling his ear, and his senses reeled as he breathed in her scent. “I’m a lot more fun when I’m not worrying about being seen.”

He closed his eyes and started to kiss her again. When she kissed him like that, he wondered just why he was worried about Peter.

Like Remus said, Peter would get over it.
End Notes:
Sorry about the extremely long wait. I'm consumed by real life and original fiction, but will finish this - even if I become famous - hee hee.
Chapter 20 - Restricted by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thanks to the lovely Kara (Karaley Dargen) for beta'ing this chapter.

When he walked into the dormitory, James was assailed by a stony silence. He knew Sirius and Peter had been talking; he’d heard voices and the sound of something being thrown before he’d entered, but now Sirius stared at him defiantly, whilst Peter stared out of the window.

“Er ... can I come in?”

“You sleep here, don’t you?” Sirius replied rudely. “Unless you’ve decided to move in with Preston ... or pretty-boy Lysander.”

“Well, I would, but neither are my type, Padfoot,” James said, casting a quick glance at Peter and noting, with relief, that the other boy was hiding a smile. “I like my mates ... er ... rough!

“Huh?”

“Ruff,” James repeated. “Ruff-ruff-ruff. You know, Padfoot, like a dog’s bark.” He got down on all fours and started to bark loudly

Peter stifled a very definite laugh, so James grinned and crawled across the floor to him. “Don’t even mind when they get ‘ratty’,” he squeaked, and sitting up in a begging position, he looked sorrowfully at the pair of them.

“You’re a jerk,” Sirius muttered and turned away. Sitting heavily on his bed, he picked up a magazine and began leafing through it.

“When did you learn to read upside down?” James asked sarcastically as Sirius continued ‘reading’.

In reply, Sirius threw the magazine across the room. As the cover ripped, James felt close to losing it.

“That‘s my bloody magazine! I haven’t read it yet.”

“Oh, keep your wig on, I can repair that easily!” Sirius retorted. “Or are you more annoyed that I was reading it? Yeah, I guess that as it’s about Quidditch, I’m not allowed to read it.”

“Uh... Padfoot,” interjected Peter, moving towards him. “I don’t think Prongs is saying that.”

“You’re a sodding Legilimens, now, are you?” Sirius said forcefully, turning his rage on Peter.

James had had enough now. He’d wanted to talk to them both, explain why they wouldn’t be in the team, but Sirius’ intransigence was infuriating him.

“It’s not Peter’s fault you tore my magazine!” he shouted, but they all knew this wasn’t about a magazine cover.

“Did I say it was?”

“Prongs, it’s okay,” muttered Peter. “I know Padfoot didn’t mean it.”

“Nah, he never does,” replied James rudely. “He’s allowed to say and do whatever the hell he wants because he’s Sirius Black and is allowed to get away with anything because of his sodding hard life. And none of us are ever allowed to forget that!”

He felt the hex before he’d registered that Sirius had picked up his wand. It barely grazed his ear, but it still hurt. Rapidly, he withdrew his own wand, preparing to fire back, but something made him pause.

Sirius was staring open mouthed at him, shock wrought over his face and his wand hanging loosely by his side. “S...s...sorry,” he stuttered. “I didn’t mean... Oh Merlin, Prongs, are you hurt?”


Slightly puzzled, James lifted his hand to his ear. It was bleeding, but the cut wasn’t deep. “It’s nothing,” he said softly and took a step towards him. “Padfoot, I’m okay ... and ... uh ... sorry, too, I didn’t mean all that crap about you getting away with things.”

Sirius sat back on his bed, but his attitude now was very different from earlier. Now he looked sad, defeated, and hollow.


“It really is okay,” James repeated and started smiling. “Look, it’s stopped bleeding now. That was a pretty good hex, mate, and non-verbal. What was it?”

“Sectumsempra,” Sirius admitted miserably. “That spell of Snape’s. I don’t know what came over me, I just reacted and that came into my head. Merlin, Prongs, I could have really hurt you!”


“You didn’t, though,” James replied, trying to show a bravado he didn’t quite feel. Sirius could have badly injured him. It could have been much, much worse, and all this over a game of Quidditch and a ripped magazine.

“Uh, Sirius,” Peter’s voice from the window interrupted James’ thoughts. “I think if you’d really wanted to hurt Prongs, then you’d have aimed better.”

James swivelled around to face Peter and grinned. “He’s right; your aim was lousy.”

Sirius lifted his eyes from the floor and stared first at Peter and then at James. “Thanks,” he muttered, “but it was still bloody close and such a stupid thing to lose my rag over.”

James shrugged. “I was winding you up.” Then he sighed and sat down on the floor between them both. “Look, I’m sorry about this, but I wanted to tell you both before I put the list up ...”

“We’re not in the team,” Sirius stated. He smiled lopsidedly. “We worked that much out, Prongs. You’ve been avoiding us since the tryouts.”

“Oh, well, no that ... uh ... yeah, I s’pose I have,” James replied. The reason he hadn’t seen them straight away was because he’d spent a very entrancing few hours behind Greenhouse Three with Sonia. “I’ll be honest here, guys. You were both good. Peter, I was amazed at how much you’d improved, but ... Carla Fenwick is too good not to use, and Preston might be a twat but I need his experience for the team.”

“And you don’t want me as Chaser,” Sirius said wearily. “I shouldn’t have hit Hughes.”

“Wasn’t just that, Padfoot,” said James. “He’s pretty good “ but then so are you “ it’s just“” Oh God, how did he put this? Sirius was too easily distracted. “I think you’ll be more worried about Martha getting hit by a Bludger than scoring goals.”

“She said the same thing ... more or less,” Sirius admitted. “Well, what she actually yelled at me, when she got back to the common room, was that she didn’t want me coming anywhere near her until I’d apologised to Hughes.” He snorted. “I s’pose I should get that over with. Which dorm is he in?”

“Two floors below us,” Peter replied promptly. “Do you want me to come along?”

“Nope,” Sirius replied. “I won’t hex him, although ...” He gave a wicked grin. “I might just spike his pumpkin juice with Amortentia. Shirley Flint would hex his bollocks off if he so much as looked at her.”


***


“Why was it so important to see me tonight, James?” purred Sonia.

They were in the library “ the Restricted Section to be precise “ and James had pulled Sonia into his arms and started to nuzzle her neck. “I like meeting you,” he muttered. “Do I need a reason?”

“Um, just that we spent most of the afternoon together, so I’m a bit surprised. Won’t the others get suspicious?” Sonia pulled away from him, yet kept her hands in his hair, her fingers caressing the nape of his neck.

“Uh, well, let’s just say I wanted to keep a low profile,” he muttered, drawing her back to him. But when she didn’t respond to his kiss, he tipped his head back and released her. “I’ve put the Quidditch team list up on the board. McLaggan’s going to be unbearable.”

“They didn’t make the team, then?”

James sighed; he didn’t have to ask who she meant by ‘they’. “Nope.”

“Do they know?”

“Yeah, I talked to them earlier. They’re okay about it. Lysander’s in, as well as Carla.”

“You’ve picked her, then?” she muttered, not looking him in the eye.

“She was brilliant, Son, so yeah, I’ve picked her ... for Quidditch.” James chuckled softly. “You sound jealous,” he murmured as he dropped a kiss on the end on her pert nose.

“Nonsense,” she said, but as he cupped his fingers under her chin, he could see her cheeks turning slightly pink. “Why would I be jealous of someone who looks so ... boyish?”

“No idea,” he replied, hoping to stop her rattling on about this so he could get back to the matter in hand “ namely snogging. “She’s not nearly as pretty as you.”

The compliment did it. Sonia giggled as he slid his hands back around her waist, and lifted her lips to his. It was times like this, when she held herself right up to him that James wondered how he could ever have thought about another girl “ even Lily.

Oh, hell, Lily!

“Why are we stopping?” Sonia hissed. “Have you seen Pince?”

“No,” he whispered. “But isn’t Lily on detention in the library this week?” Pushing Sonia away, he started to straighten his robes and then brought out a handkerchief, removing any trace of her lipstick.

“What does that matter?”

“Uh ... Son, we’re supposed to be keeping this a secret, aren’t we?”

She shrugged. “Oh, I thought you meant from your friends. Lily won’t mind, and anyway, she’s not serving her detention at the weekends.”

“Son ...” he began, and then stopped not knowing what he wanted to say. Was he relieved that Lily wasn’t around? Did it matter if Lily saw them? She’d made it clear she wasn’t interested in him, and it would be so good to show her he’d moved on. But then again ... that was using Sonia and that didn’t sit right. “It’s just that she might tell Mary, and then Mary’s bound to tell Remus. So ...” He bent his head, letting his lips touch hers very delicately. “Just between us two, yeah?”

“Sure,” she whispered as she drew his mouth towards hers, slowly and deliberately administering a kiss that sent his senses reeling. Then she released him and stepped away. “But I meant what I said. You have until Halloween to tell Peter.”

Dazed, James tried to pull her back, but she eluded his arm. “I think I should be getting back before Lily and Mary wonder where I am.” She giggled as she picked up her school bag. “I can’t keep saying I have a Muggle Studies essay to finish. Professor Nelson never sets us anything that hard.” As she hoisted her bag over her shoulder, she flashed James a smile. “Will I see you tomorrow?”

“Uh ... I have Quidditch practise in the morning and an Arithmancy essay to start ...” He stopped talking as he saw the smile fade from her face. Then he grinned at her. “Greenhouse Three at four-ish, okay? Or would you like to try out Greenhouse Five instead?”

She laughed and agreed to try ‘Five’ for a change. As she walked away, swinging her hips, she smiled at him over her shoulder and blew him a kiss. Watching her go, James leant back against the shelves, accidentally setting off a barking book, which he could only quieten by stroking it just under the title. Returning the book to its shelf, he pondered Sonia. Sirius had said she was irritating. He’d said she was clingy and didn’t want him to be with his mates, but he’d not seen that. It intrigued him that one minute she would be kissing him intensely and the next coyly pulling back, elusive at the very moment he wanted to carry on.

“Potter!” Madam Pince screeched from her desk as he walked out into the main aisle. “Do you have permission to be in the Restricted Section?”

“I’m sixth year, Madam Pince. I don’t need permission,” he said, pulling out an old Arithmancy book.

“You still need to tell me which books you’re looking for,” she said, her chin quivering with indignation. “The same applies for Miss Slattery.”

“Oh... er ... was she here?” he asked innocently. He approached her desk and opened the book out so she could issue it to him.

Madam Pince lowered her voice. “Don’t try to fool me, Potter. I’ve seen more students trying to use my Restricted Section for a ‘tryst’,” she paused as she involuntarily shuddered at the word, “than there are books on potions. Do not come in here with her again.”

“Don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said blandly. “Didn’t even see Sonia because I was too busy trying to find this book. I don’t think your cataloguing system is quite up to date, Madam Pince. There was a barking book in the Charms section ...” He grinned at the horror on her face and started tutting as he picked up his book. “Just thought you should know.”

Ha! he thought. That’ll stop you thinking about me and Sonia “ nosey old hag!

He ambled back to the common room, thinking again about Sonia and how surprisingly easy it all was. When he was with her, he didn’t even feel guilty about Peter. Then his thoughts drifted to Quidditch. He hadn’t lied; he did have a practise session tomorrow and he was keen to try his new team together. Hughes, Fenwick and the other new player, Spinnet, were eager; James just hoped they’d keep their enthusiasm going. It was always hard fitting in new players, and three at once would be even tougher. Thank Merlin for Mary, who’d always been a strong player when she wasn’t injured. He just hoped the history between her and Preston wouldn’t make the atmosphere poisonous.

As he sauntered up the stairs towards the Tower, he heard a voice hailing him. It was Lily.

“James, wait up,” she called.

He hesitated on the corner, waiting for her to catch up with him. She was out of breath, her face pink from running.

“What’s the matter?” he asked.

“You’ve taken that Arithmancy book out of the library. Madam Pince just told me,” she said, joining him at the corner. “Only, I haven’t started my essay yet, and was hoping to read it tonight.”


“You can borrow it tonight,” he replied. “I’m not going to start until ...” He stopped talking as he took in what she’d just said. “Y...you were in the library? I ... uh ... didn’t see you.”

“You must have left before I got there,” she said. “I only remembered when I was on my way back from the Owlery.” She wouldn’t quite look him in the eye as she fiddled with the sleeve of her robe. “Snitch gets awfully huffy if I don’t visit ... often.”


“I can imagine,” James replied dryly. He smirked at her, wondering why she couldn’t just admit that she was sending letters to the flash git. James didn’t care; he had a girlfriend now and she was just as pretty as...

About to ask her if she was planning on sneaking out again, he was thwarted as the sound of shouts reached the pair of them. “Merlin. What’s that?”

“Sounds like a fight in the common room,” Lily replied and groaned. “I suppose I should get into prefect mode and sort it out.”

“I thought you liked all that sort of thing?” James said, amazed when she pulled a face.

“Only when it involves you lot,” she retorted. “But when it’s a few first years fighting over a chocolate frog, or something, it gets very boring. Plus they all think I’m too strict.”

“Let them off, then,” James said, yawning.

“What, and have them turn out like you!” she exclaimed. Lily began to laugh, and James joined in, but then the shrieks became louder

“That sounds like a lot more than a fight over sweets,” he muttered as they both ran towards the portrait door.

Without waiting for the password, the Fat Lady let them both into the common room where they saw Sonia and Mary shrieking as they hugged someone in a tight embrace.

By his side, Lily started and dropped her bag on the floor. “Phyllida!” she screamed. “You’re back!”


And from the centre of the crowd gathered around her, James saw Phyllida gently detach herself from Mary and Sonia’s arms. She stood tall, a good head taller than Sonia, and stared across at them both.

“Very astute, Lily,” she said softly, but in clear tones. Then she smiled. “What have I missed? You two aren’t arguing.”

James grinned. “She’s only after me for my Arithmancy, Phyll, you know that.”

He stepped towards her, noticing that Sirius and Peter were also there, standing just beyond the girls, smiles adorning their faces, all thoughts of Quidditch and hexes gone. “Good to see you,” he muttered as he embraced her. Up close, she looked drawn and he could see a faint scar running from her neck to her shoulder. Remembering the loud and confident girl from last year, he was shocked to see her hands trembling around her wand.

“Thank you,” she whispered as she held him close and laid her cheek on his shoulder. “It’s good to be back. I was silly to think I should stay away.”

“Sonia is going to be so pleased you’re back; she’s really missed you,” he continued, then swallowed slightly when he saw Phyllida’s eyes flicker with interest and dart across to Sonia. “And Lily and Mary, too,” he finished lamely.

“Let her go, Potter!” Lily said, an amused tone in her voice.

“You sound jealous,” Sirius called across. “Just what were the pair of you up to in the library?”

“NOTHING!” James exclaimed, causing Phyllida to startle in James’ arms. “Sorry, Phyll. I met Lily on the way back from the library. I have been studying,” he said, sounding martyred. “I’m quite frankly shocked at this baseless accusation from you, Black. I do occasionally do my homework with more than a day to spare.”


Releasing Phyllida, he glanced casually at Sonia who was looking distinctly annoyed, so he gave her a ghost of a wink and turned smoothly to Lily and handed the book to her. “Here you go, Evans. I’d like it back tomorrow after lunch, please. And don’t take it up to the Owlery, Pince won’t be at all happy if I return it covered in owl crap, or with a mushy love letter tucked into the fly leaf.”

He snorted with satisfaction when he saw her redden at his insinuation and grinned at Sirius.

“Nice one, Prongs!” he muttered.

“Occasionally, I get the aim just right,” agreed James as he moved over to Sirius and Peter. “Where’s Remus, by the way?”

Sirius shrugged. “No idea.”

“Got a letter from home,” Peter explained, adding, “From his dad.”

James looked at Sirius, the silent understanding between the pair of them passing before they were aware of it. Remus’ dad rarely wrote to his son, but left that to his mother, only adding a few lines at the end of each letter. The last time he’d taken it upon himself to write to his son, it had been a reprimand, after receiving an owl from Professor McGonagall following the incident where Sirius had told Snape about the Whomping Willow. Having been appraised of all the facts, Mr Lupin had urged his son to end his friendship with Sirius, and keep himself separate from all those around him. Remus had been silent for days, which they’d all thought had been because of a festering resentment towards Sirius, but instead it had been because he really didn’t know what to do for the best. Sirius’s ‘prank’ had unsettled the Marauders with the realisation that it was far too easy to go too far, but John Lupin’s letter had unsettled Remus because he’d never thought he’d have to face a schism between those that cared about him.

“Do you think we should find him?” James asked. He kept his voice low, seeing that Mary was looking across, perhaps wondering where Remus was, too. But as she smiled and waved “ obviously not at them “ James looked over his shoulder. “Ah, no need. Moony, come here! Phyllida’s back.”

Remus wandered towards them. In his hand, he clutched his letter, but on seeing Phyllida, he fixed a smile on his face and stuffed the letter in his pocket. “Good to have you back,” he said softly.

Phyllida inclined her head, acknowledging his words with none of her own, instead laying her hand on his arm and giving him a squeeze. She looked close to tears, and perhaps sensing that, Lily hugged her whilst Sonia scowled at the first years on the sofa by the fire to get them to move. Only Mary stayed where she was, holding her hand out to Remus and waiting for him to move to her side. He complied, almost half-heartedly, staring at James and the others.

“Letter from your dad, Wormtail said,” Sirius remarked in a low voice. “Are things okay?”

“Tell you later,” Remus mumbled, indicating Phyllida and the girls. “It’s not important, although ...” He shook his head. “Later, Padfoot.”

Seeing Mary staring at them, James clapped Sirius and Peter on the back. “Come on; let’s see if we can cheer Phyll up. Exploding Snap, anyone? First one out’s a sneaky Slytherin Death Eater.”

Phyllida gasped and the other three girls glared at him “ even Sonia.

“Oh sweet Merlin, I’m sorry,” he muttered. “Godric, I’m such a prat.”

“Got that right at least, Potter,” Lily replied waspishly. “You really don’t know when to keep your mouth shut do you?”

“I don’t think-” Sonia began, but James raised both his hands, palms raised as if in supplication.

“It’s okay, Son, I wasn’t thinking. My mouth moved before my brain had engaged.” He smiled ruefully at Sonia and turned to Phyllida. “Sorry about your mum, Phyll.”

Phyllida sniffed and stared straight back at him. He noticed she wasn’t trembling now. “Thanks, James,” she whispered, then she smiled wanly and sat up straight, her shoulders back and head held high. “Sorry you and Lily are still arguing. I thought for one moment you’d got together.”

He heard Lily’s shout of indignation, but was watching Sonia as she stiffened. “Ha, when McGonagall marries Slughorn! I’m sure Evans agrees.”

“Rather be with an Erumpent,” Lily muttered.

“Ouch, Evans, that hurts!” he tossed back, and then with a small sly wink at Sonia added, “I think I’ll find myself a witch who appreciates the full Potter experience.”

“Deluded,” Sirius said, laughing. “Prongs, was your pumpkin juice spiked with a Babbling Beverage?” Giving James a soft punch on the shoulder, he pulled him towards the door to the staircases. “Catch you later, girls. Oh, and Mary, if you see that sister of yours, can you tell her I have apologised to that soft twat, and she can stop ignoring me now.”

Remus and Peter followed as they walked up the stairs to their dormitory. “Didn’t you want to hear about Phyllida’s mum?” Peter asked. “I thought she might want to talk.”

“Doubt she’ll want to talk to us ... yet, and not in the common room,” James replied. “And I’d rather talk to Remus about his letter.”

“Thought you might,” Remus said, sighing. He sat heavily on his bed and waited for the others to settle on the floor around him. Sirius Summoned three pillows and arranged them in a semi-circle around Remus’ bed.

“What did your dad want?” he asked warily. “Is he still annoyed that you’re hanging around with us ... or rather me?”

“It’s nothing to do with that,” Remus replied as he brought out the letter. “It’s about someone he worked with. A clerk called Jeremy Flaxen.”

“Big, blonde guy in Hufflepuff?” Peter remarked. “I remember him. I didn’t know he worked for your dad.”

No one commented on Peter’s summing up. James could barely remember what Flaxen looked like, let alone his House, yet Peter had always had this ability to retain names and other details about people.

After a pause, Remus continued. “He disappeared over the summer. Dad was complaining that he didn’t return after his holiday and he’d been left with a lot more work.”

“Disappeared?” James queried. “That doesn’t sound good.”

“It’s not. They found his body washed up on a beach near a village called Brackenfen.”

“What?” All three boys were dumbfounded as they stared incredulously at Remus.

“Been dead about a couple of months, they reckon, which is about the time he went away, according to Dad.”

“Brackenfen?” murmured James. “I’ve heard of it ...” Automatically, he looked across at Peter, wondering if he had any ideas, but Peter looked blank, as did Sirius.

“Maybe you’ve been there, Prongs,” Sirius said.

James shook his head slowly. “Don’t think so, but it’s familiar for some reason.” He scowled, furrowing his brow in concentration as he tried to recall the name. But it remained elusive in his mind and he knew from past experience that the more he tried to worry it out, the more the memory would remain hidden.


“Do they know how he died?” he heard Peter ask, sounding tense.

“Body was badly damaged, so not sure yet,” Remus said. He swallowed. “Dad had to identify the body. Jeremy’s mum was too upset, and his other relatives were ... unavailable.”

“Unavailable?” Sirius asked sharply as he picked up the hesitation in Remus’ voice.

“ Jeremy’s dad died a year or so ago and his aunt is ... uh ... was Geraldine Flaxen. She married Hamish Avery.”

“Gus Avery’s parents!” James exclaimed.

“She’s his stepmother,” corrected Peter. He grinned suddenly, then his face fell as he realised it wasn’t funny. “Sorry, you know what I’m like. I remembered my mum talking about the wedding because she got a job on the day checking in people’s cloaks and things. Quite a grand affair, she said.”

Remus glanced back at his dad’s letter; then he paused and took a deep breath. Looking at him, James saw his skin had a grey pallor and his eyes were fixed and glassy. “Do you remember that Auror from King’s Cross “ the one with Frank?”

James tried to picture the station and slowly the image of a grizzled and fierce looking wizard entered his mind. “Alastor Moody,” he stated quietly.

Remus nodded. “He reckons it wasn’t an accident. Moody told Dad that Jeremy was murdered.”
Chapter 21 - Puzzles by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thanks Kara for the beta work.

Brackenfen. Brackenfen. Brackenfen. Brackenfen. However James repeated the word over the next few days, and whatever emphasis he put on the syllables, he was still no further in solving the riddle of the place where Jeremy Flaxen’s body had been found.

The Daily Prophet had run a small story on the death, but the details were scanty. Flaxen was believed to have drowned, as he’d been found wandless. The journalist writing the story had quoted the opinion of an anonymous Ministry official that this was ‘a salutary tale for wizards and witches everywhere, who do not carry their wands at all times.’

–They’re saying it was an accident, then?” Sirius remarked. He was peering over James’ shoulder as he read the report at his writing desk in the dorm. Normally, James hated this and would move away, but this time he simply handed the paper over to Sirius.

–No, you have it,” Sirius muttered. –I’ll read later.”

–S’okay. I’ve read it three times already. It’s not going to help me remember Brackenfen.”

Sirius shrugged. –It’ll come to you. Probably in the middle of a Quidditch game or when you’re thinking about a girl.” He stopped speaking and nudged James with his elbow. –You going to tell me what you’ve been getting up to recently?”

–Nope,” James replied, grinning. –I’m not up to anything, Padfoot, except schoolwork and Quidditch practise.”

–Schoolwork and Quidditch have never made you smile so much,” Sirius argued.

–That is because I was never captain before. I like ordering people around.” Pulling back the chair, he deliberately bumped into Sirius and walked across to his trunk. –Anyway, I have things to see, people to do, owls to find and a letter to send.”

–Letter?”

–Usual letter home,” James replied. –But I’ve asked Mum about Brackenfen. You could be right; maybe I went there as a kid.”

–Maybe.” Sirius yawned as he sat down at the desk and started to look through the paper. –Oh, good, you haven’t done the crossword.”

–Uh, since when were you so interested in crosswords?”

–Since I discovered that the Sunday Prophet crossword has a prize of five galleons.” He looked up, frowning as he hurriedly did some calculations in his head. –That means that if I win every Sunday from now till Christmas, I should be able to buy you all decent presents and some booze for the room.”

–Us or Martha?” James said slyly.

–You, of course, Prongs,” Sirius replied. Then he looked wistful. –Would be nice to get her that broom she’s after, though.”

–Merlin, Sirius, that’s a Nimbus she’s after. They cost a packet!” James exclaimed.

–So winning this week’s crossword isn’t going to help much,” Sirius said and gloomily put down his quill.

–You’ve never actually got me a decent present,” James joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere. –I’m not that fussed, and you can always share the ones I give to Remus and Peter.”

–I’m not a charity case,” Sirius mumbled.


James sighed. Although he had a practise scheduled soon, needed to return a book to the library and his letter to send, he knew he had to speak to Sirius and get this cleared up. –Sirius, it’s not charity. You’re my mate, my best mate, and I’m pretty sure if this had happened to me, then you’d do the same.”

–And you’d tell me where I could stick my money,” Sirius said, and gave James a rueful smile. –I know you don’t mean anything bad by it, but I don’t want to rely on it, okay?”

–Sure,” James replied. –Just ... so you know, I’m not fussed about a present, so spend any winnings on Martha.” He started to laugh. –You never know, you might win enough to buy her a Nimbus twig.”

Dodging the quill pot that Sirius threw at him, James laughed and ran out of the dorm.

He whistled tunelessly as he walked out of Gryffindor Tower and towards the library. Returning a Charms textbook, he snorted as Madam Pince scowled when she couldn’t find any ripped pages to berate him for and then hurried away to the West Tower.

–James, hold up!”

He looked around to see Lily and Phyllida walking briskly towards him. Smiling, he slowed his pace, allowing them both to catch him. –Hello, girls, what can I do for you today?”

–Hmm, well more what we can do for you, actually,” Phyllida replied. –Or rather Lily.”

–Hmm?”

–Sirius has just told us you’re sending a letter to your mum,” Lily said. –Well, I have one for her, too - remember the family history she was asking about?”

James nodded. –Yeah, she likes looking up stuff like that.”

–Well, my parents have been in touch and have given me as much detail as they can, so, if you’d like, Snitch can take your letter as well.”

–Sounds good.” He pulled out his letter and handed it to Lily, who ran up the steps to the Owlery, then turned away intent on getting to the Quidditch pitch, but Phyllida stopped him.

–Stay and chat for a while, will you?”

–Uh ...” Resisting the urge to say he had to go because Phyllida looked serious about something, James nodded. –Sure, what’s up, Phyll?”

–Apart from the obvious fact that my mum’s dead,” she said dryly, then faltered. –Sorry, sorry, I know I’m hard to be around at the moment, I just wanted to thank you for treating me normally.”

–What, you mean rudely?” he said, grinning at her.

Phyllida giggled. –That’s exactly what I mean. Listening to you and Sirius mucking about makes me feel as if nothing’s changed.” She sighed. –I am pleased to be back here, but everyone’s treating me as if I’m made of eggshells.”

–They’re worried, probably,” James muttered, slightly uncomfortable at the way this conversation was turning. –You were missed, you know.”

–You missed me?” She laughed.

–Well, yeah, I did actually,” James protested. –Phyll, we’re not going out together anymore, but we’re still friends aren’t we? And Gryffindors. Wasn’t me I meant, though.”

–Sonia?” she murmured, and smiled when he looked surprised. –She told me you two were seeing each other. Don’t worry, I won’t say anything. She also said you were keeping it secret. I was surprised, though.”

–Why?”

–You’ve never shown any interest in her, that’s all,” Phyllida remarked, adding, –This isn’t part of a plan, is it?”

–Huh?”

–To make someone else jealous,” she replied frankly. She raised her hand when James started to splutter. –Hear me out, James. Sonia’s my friend - my best friend - but Lily is a friend, too. So if this is some idea you’ve got from Sirius about making Lily jealous-”

–Give me some credit!” he snapped. –If this was a plan then I wouldn’t be keeping it a secret, would I?” He stepped back intent on turning away, but Phyllida tugged on his sleeve. –I have somewhere to be, Phyll.”

–Sorry,” she murmured, –but I had to ask. Sonia likes you, and if this is just a game...”


–It’s not,” James replied, holding her gaze steadily. Although annoyed with her, he didn’t try to explain any more. He liked meeting up with Sonia; it gave him something else to think about rather than schoolwork and Quidditch. And just because he’d once thought about Lily, he didn’t see why he had to remain single.

–Have you told the others yet?”

–I will,” he replied. –But really, Phyll, this is none of your business.”

She gave him a twisted sort of smile. –I know that, James. And I wouldn’t have said anything but she’s my friend and ... well, perhaps I shouldn’t say, but Julius treated her pretty badly.”

–Because of that stupid trick at the end of last year?”

–Well, partly. He was annoyed about that, but ... well, in the end, I don’t think that made much difference. He’s not a very nice person. I thank my lucky stars that despite looking the same, Jacob is nothing like him.”

–You telling me the Bennetts are good and evil twins?” James started to laugh, but Phyllida didn’t join in.

–Evil is a strong word,” she mused, –so I wouldn’t say that.” She shivered slightly. –You’re not using her, are you?”

–No,” he said softly. –I like being with her, Phyll.”

–Good!” she said, and patted him on his cheek. –Then hurry up and tell your friends, so it doesn’t have to be a secret.”

–You two look very intense about something,” Lily said, walking down the stairs.

–Phyll’s giving me Quidditch advice,” James said steadily. –Thinks I should play Preston as Seeker, and wants me to switch to Beater. Not sure where she thinks Martha should go.”

–Keeper, obviously,” Phyllida replied.

She started laughing, and with a start, James realised this was the first time he’d heard her laugh since she’d been back. Lily must have realised it too, because she gave James a grateful smile, then tucked her arm into Phyllida’s.

–Shall we get back to the common room and leave James to his practise?” she said.

Phyllida stopped giggling, and smiled across at James. –I’d rather watch your practise, if that’s okay. I’m dying to see what this new girl is like. How about you, Lily?”

–Hmm, watching James shout at a lot of people in the cold, or huddle up in front of the fire with a magazine. Tough choice. Sorry, Potter, you’re not that interesting,” Lily replied; her smile took the edge off the words.

–Perhaps I’ll ask Sonia, then,” Phyllida said lightly. –That’ll be okay, won’t it?”

–Yep, sure, no problem,” James replied and started to walk off. –I’m already late, so see you there.”

Lily watched him go, and then looked at Phyllida, who seemed brighter than she had all week. –I never thought you were that interested in Quidditch,” she remarked.

–I’m not,” Phyllida replied, and made a show of yawning. –But I’m sick of staying inside.”

–Do you want me to come along?” Lily asked.

Phyllida pulled a face. –You don’t want to watch, you made that clear. Please, Lily, I know it’s difficult, but can you stop being so ... so ... damn considerate, and try to treat me normally.”

–Sorry,” Lily mumbled. She swallowed and then tentatively touched Phyllida on the arm. –Have I been awful?”

–Just not very Lily-like,” she replied. –Mary’s the same as well. She’s not mentioned Quidditch once, and barely talks about Remus. It’s as if you think you’re not allowed to enjoy yourself around me.”

Lily smiled helplessly. –It’s not that. It’s just it seems a bit insensitive if we’re having a laugh while your ... your mum -”

–Is dead,” Phyllida replied bluntly. She shuddered and took a deep breath. When she spoke again, her voice was trembling. –Nothing’s going to change that.”


–I’m so sorry,” Lily whispered. Then, as she noticed tears forming in Phyllida’s eyes, she enveloped her in a hug. –Please, tell me if there’s anything I can do. We all want to help, you know.”

–I know,” Phyllida replied through the sobs. –But there’s nothing you can do. Nothing’s going to take away this pain, Lily, certainly not all of you treating me as if I’m made of glass.”

Saying no more, Lily held her tighter merely stroking her hair until Phyllida pulled away. She muttered her thanks and then smiled weakly when Lily handed her a tissue. ”Now,” she said between sniffs. –I want you to tell me all about this barman of yours.”

Unable to stop herself from breaking into a smile, Lily sighed. –He’s not mine, Phyll. I’ve only met up with him once and exchanged a few letters. We’ve barely even kissed.”

Phyllida pounced. –You have kissed, then?”

–Um ...” Lily giggled. –A little bit.”

–So ...” Phyllida drawled, her voice sounding more composed now, –when are you seeing him again?”

Sighing, Lily tucked her arm into Phyllida’s and started to walk back towards Gryffindor. –Unfortunately, I’m banned from Hogsmeade for the next visit, although if I stay for Christmas, then maybe Professor McGonagall will let me out then.”

She continued to chat, knowing now that Phyllida needed this normalcy and triviality in her life. And Phyllida responded, offering advice, sharing stories about Jacob and then further back to James.

–Why did you two break up?” Lily asked, not remembering the reason Phyllida had given at the time.

–Um, grew apart, I suppose,” she replied. They’d arrived at the bottom of the steps that led up to their Tower and Phyllida stopped walking as she thought about the question. –We were only fifteen when we started seeing each other, and James was fun ... is fun, I should say, but we argued a lot. You must remember. And-” She smiled a little ruefully as she thought about it. –Ironic really, I’m going out with an identical twin, but I doubt Jacob is as close to Julius as James is to Sirius. That’s what any girl has to deal with going out with either of them.”

–Martha doesn’t seem to mind,” Lily mused idly.

–Hmm, well, Martha plays Quidditch,” Phyllida said, –so James is always going to get on with her.” Phyllida stopped speaking, eyeing Lily curiously. –Anyway, none of this affects you, does it, Lily? Not now you’ve got this gorgeous man running after you?”

–Just asking,” Lily muttered. She scowled at Phyllida, wondering what she was insinuating.

–Just answering,” Phyllida replied mildly. –You’re not interested in James, though, are you?”

–Me? No!” Lily exclaimed, and started to laugh. –Really, I’m not. Oh, this isn’t another of yours and Sonia’s attempts to fix me up, is it? Only-”

–No, it’s nothing like that.” Phyllida started up the stairs leaving Lily at the bottom. –Just checking, that’s all.”

–Checking what?” Lily called out, but Phyllida didn’t answer.

Deciding she could not be bothered with any more of Phyllida’s hints, Lily walked away. She had a Potions essay in her bag that she wanted to ask Professor Slughorn about. He’d said she could drop in anytime, and he never seemed to object to her visits, even on a Saturday.

–Lily, my dear, how delightful of you to drop in,” Professor Slughorn said, smiling contentedly at her. –What brings you to visit my humble abode?”

She smiled at him. Professor Slughorn’s quarters were anything but humble. He had the most ornate, yet comfortable chairs she’d ever sat in, topped with plump cushions and with lace coverlets on the arms. His walnut coffee table was always polished to a golden shine, and the bookshelves stacked with interesting knick-knacks and photographs of his most prized former students.

–I wondered if I could go through my last essay with you, Professor.”

–Mmm, certainly,” he replied. –Take a seat, and let me see if I can find some biscuits? I always think it civil to-” He stopped speaking as someone rapped at the door. –Sorry, my dear, let me deal with this.”

Lily sat back in the chair, her essay on her knee whilst he answered the door.

–Ah, yes, come in, come in,” she heard him say. –What a tremendous idea. Lily, I won’t keep you a moment, but I must take this delivery.”

–No problem, sir, I don’t have anything planned for today,” she said, and turned her head to smile at him. Her eyes widened. Standing in the doorway carrying a wooden crate stood Rich.

–Where would you like your wine, sir?” he asked politely, then gave Lily a small wink.

–In the corner, I think,” the professor replied. –And if you could unpack it for me. The reds need to go into the rack, and the whites in the Chill Charm cabinet.”

–All part of the service,” Rich replied, still showing an almost obscene amount of courtesy.

The professor nodded, and trotted back to his seat. –Rosmerta has started a delivery service,” he explained to Lily. –The odd bottle of mead can easily be sent by owl, but for my soirees I need a more personal service.”

–Mmm,” Lily nodded her head, but she was barely listening.

–So, my dear, what is it you wish to discuss with me about your essay?”

–Uh...” Feeling flustered, she pulled out the essay trying to remember what it was exactly she wanted to ask him, but with Rich in the room she was finding it hard to concentrate. He stood up, having finished unpacking the wine, and stepped forward to say his goodbyes.

–Excellent,” Professor Slughorn said vaguely and handed him some small change. –Pass on my regards to Madam Rosmerta, young man.”

–Sure,” Rich replied as he pocketed the money and walked to the door. –And, sir, anytime you need a delivery, however small, I am only too willing to be of service. Hogwarts has lovely grounds. It’s a pleasure to walk up here and admire the view.”

–Um, sir, this is so silly of me, but I’ve brought the wrong essay,” Lily said as she heard the door close, and Rich walk slowly away. –I’ll ... um ... come back another time. Sorry.”

Professor Slughorn blinked, seemingly surprised at her abrupt change of heart, but then waved her away. –Anytime, my dear, I do have to prepare for our next Slug Club dinner. I do hope you’ll be joining us.”

–What?” Lily swivelled her head and looked back at him. –Oh, yes, certainly, sir. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

He was loitering at the end of the corridor when she closed the door. His eyes lit up at the sight of her, and a slow, lazy smile crept across his face.

–Finished with your professor?” he asked.

Was she imagining the teasing note in his voice? Tossing her head and letting her hair swing across one shoulder, she smiled up at him, hoping she sounded more confident than she felt. –I thought you might like a tour of the grounds,” she said. –I could show you all the best views.”

–I think I’m looking at it,” he murmured.

At that she felt a very definite flush on her face, and turned away uncomfortable that she must seem so very gauche. –Where would you like to start?” she asked.

–Hmm, well, am I allowed to be here?” he replied, his voice lilting. –I mean, I’d love to see the castle, but I’m kinda guessing that’s out of bounds.”

–Um, probably, but I can show you the grounds,” she said.

–It won’t get you into more trouble, will it?”

–Well, you’re here for a reason, but perhaps you got lost and I’m just being a responsible prefect showing you the path back to Hogsmeade,” she replied, winking at him.

Rich chuckled. –Girl after my own heart, Tiger-Lily? Are you often in trouble?”

She didn’t answer but merely smiled in what she hoped was an enigmatic way. Reaching the Entrance Hall, she hurried her pace slightly, praying that Professor McGonagall or Filch weren’t about to appear because then things could get awkward. Rich followed until they reached the courtyard and then he stopped.

–What’s that over there?”

–Greenhouses. We have Herbology in them. I don’t think you can go in them, but I’m sure you could peek through the windows if you’d like,” she offered lamely.

. –Lead on, Lily-Lily,” muttered Rich, and now he was forcing the pace, striding across the grass and towards the glass houses in front of them. –Whoa, impressive.”

–Really? I would have thought you had much better in America,” she said. –Isn’t everything bigger there?”

–You’ve been watching too many Muggle movies,” he muttered. He rubbed at the dusty glass trying to get a better look. –That’s one helluva Venomous Tentacula.”

–That’s odd,” she said idly. –I didn’t see you as the sort of person who’d be interested in plants.”

–I was sent a book once by a ... friend. Kinda caught my interest,” he said and then grinned. –What kind of a man am I? Talking about plants when a very pretty girl is taking the trouble to spend time with me.”

Feeling foolish because she couldn’t stop the goofy grin appearing on her face, Lily ducked her head, peeping at him from below her lashes. He was still smiling as he reached out his arm and tugged at hers.

–A very pretty girl,” he murmured. With his other hand, he cupped her chin, tilting it up. Then he lowered his mouth and gently brushed his lips on hers. Lily closed her eyes, wondering if he’d pull away now as he had the last time, but then felt his mouth, firmer, more insistent, yet still gentle on hers. Unconsciously, she raised her hands, twining them around his neck, eager for more, but he pulled away. Her eyes flew open, unsure why he had stopped, but he was smiling, still smiling down at her.

–So, Lily, why hasn’t a girl like you got boys continually falling at her feet?” he asked softly.

–No idea,” she mumbled. She tore her eyes away not wanting to admit that she’d barely kissed anyone before, and most boys in the past had seemed put off by something ... except - infuriatingly - James. –I’m friends with Sonia, though, and she is beautiful.”

–Don’t fish,” he said, tweaking her nose. –Sure, she’s packaged well, but you’re pretty.”

She could feel her cheeks flaming now and, in desperation, tugged herself free. –Come on, I’ll show you somewhere else.”

–Coward,” he mouthed at her but grinned and followed her back into the light. –What’s that over there?” he asked, pointing beyond a clump of trees.

–The Quidditch pitch,” she said. She tugged on his robe sleeve as he started to walk towards it. –There are people using it, though.”

–Who?”

–James is holding a practise there and I think Phyllida was going to watch.”

–Phyllida’s the friend of yours who’s just returned to school, right?”

Lily nodded, marvelling that Rich had remembered that from her letter.

–Well, they’re your friends, aren’t they? So they’re not going to grass you up to the teachers for bringing me along.” He paused, and squeezed her hand. –Come on, Lily. I would love to see a practise. I haven’t seen a Quidditch match before, although my uncle used to talk about them all the time.”

There was something odd about his eagerness, she thought to herself. Not the enthusiasm for the game, but more something ‘off’ about what he was saying. And then it struck her ... his uncle.


–I thought you were Muggle-born?”

–Hmm?” he said, not really listening.

–You said you were a Muggle-born, just like me,” she persisted. –When I’d hurt my foot, and we were in that hotel, I told you I was a Muggle-born. You said -”

Rich’s attention snapped straight back to her. He stared into her eyes then gave a sheepish grin. –You got me!”

–Got what?”

–A small white lie, Lily-Lily,” he whispered. –Sorry, I guess I was trying to impress you, or form a connection.”

–Oh!” Biting her lip, Lily swallowed before asking, –Why?”

–You’re fishing again,” he muttered. –Now, come on, take me to see this Quidditch practise.”

***


As James watched his team string together a series of moves that would make the Slytherins melt in anguish, he grinned. –Brilliant play, team,” he called. –Mary, you’re flying well, Lysander ... calm down. You’re a good player, just don’t try to do everything. Carla and Preston - you two work so well together. Fantastic aim.”

–Do I get a mention?” chirped Martha, swooping down.

–Martha, what can I possibly say to you?” he said, grinning at her. –Sharp as ever. Shame you were late, though.”

–Ughh, two minutes, that was all. And it was only because Sirius-”

James raised his hand. –I don’t want to know. Just ... don’t be late next time.”

–I promise,” she said and opened up her blue eyes, batting her lashes at him.

He snorted. The Martha of a few months ago would never have dared behave like this. Her crush used to stop her stringing a sentence together around him, but now she had Sirius as a boyfriend, her confidence had grown. It was great to see, just as long as she didn’t get too cocky.

–You’re forgiven this time,” he muttered. –But I’ll cast a Bat-Bogey hex on his face if he delays you again. You won’t want to snog him for days.”

Martha poked out her tongue, and started to grumble, but James had swooshed his broom around, heading for the stands.

–How much longer?” Sonia asked. She was snuggled up in her cloak, arm in arm with Phyllida and although she was smiling, she sounded a touch put out - or bored.

–About half an hour,” he said. –You don’t have to stay, Son.”

–No, I’m fine,” she replied. –I expect the fresh air is doing me good. And it’s interesting, actually.”

–And about to get a lot more interesting-” Phyllida interrupted. –Is that Lily’s boyfriend?”

–OOOOH, where?” Sonia asked, much more animated as she leaned over the seat ledge. –Mmm, that’s him.”

–What the hell?” James swivelled around on his broom and watched Lily and Soule, who weren’t quite holding hands, walk up the wooden steps towards them.

–You don’t mind me gate-crashing, do you, James?” Rich asked as they approached. –Only Lily told me there was a session and I’d love to see you guys in action.” He studied the players who’d now slowed down and were looking across. –Is that Martha? She looks too slight to fly.”

–She’s a Seeker,” James replied shortly. –Being bulky doesn’t help in that position.”

–What about that girl?” Rich pointed to Carla, who alone of the players didn’t appear to be paying them any attention. Instead, she’d taken a Bludger and was aiming it at the goal posts, hitting the hoop ring every single time. –She’s not scoring many goals.”

–She’s aiming for the post,” James said. –Carla’s a Beater. She’s there to take people out, not score goals.”

–I woulda thought you’d have another guy in that position. She looks as if she’d blow away in the wind. Surely a man would be -”


–She’s good!” James retorted. –Sorry, but what has this got to do with you exactly?”

–James, that’s rude!” Lily exclaimed. –Rich is interested, that’s all.”

–And coming in here telling me I don’t know how to pick a team is polite, is it?” snapped James.


Rich smiled at Lily and then at James. –Sorry, I didn’t mean anything. I know very little about Quidditch, I was just intrigued, I guess. In Quodpot, there aren’t that many witches playing professionally.”

–We have a lot here,” Phyllida said. James smiled slightly as he heard the edge in her voice, for Phyllida had inherited a strong sense of equality from her mother and wouldn’t let anyone tell her that gender or blood status were a bar to anything.


–I think I’m winding your friends up, Lily-Lily,” Rich murmured. –Sorry, I’m not saying it’s right, simply that Quodpot is arranged differently. Far more violent.”

Phyllida didn’t look pacified, but sat back in her seat and let Sonia change the subject. With a curt nod, James returned to his team.

–Is that ...” Mary demanded.

–Yes, it’s the tosser of a barman that you all seem to like,” James grumbled. –I’m not wasting any more time. Let’s fly. Mary, chuck me that Quaffle. Carla, Preston, try to stop us. Martha -” He hesitated, wondering whether to let her go back to the changing rooms but she’d arrived late and he was loathe to let her go early. –Martha, watch us and see if you can give us some pointers.”

–Cool! Can I sit with the others?” she asked, casting a longing look at Lily and Rich, obviously dying for the gossip.

–NO! Fly above us and watch properly!” he ordered.

Despite his irritation, the rest of the session went smoothly and James was reasonably pleased with his own performance. After catching a stunning pass from Lysander, he dodged a Bludger thrown by Preston, and hurled the Quaffle into the right hand hoop. Grinning, he accepted the applause from his teammates (even Preston), and turned to face the stand.

Sonia was standing up and clapping with Phyllida next to her. Lily wasn’t looking, her attention all on Rich. He, however, was watching intently.

–You fly very well,” he called out as James dove towards them. –Your team is good.”

–Thanks.” James nodded curtly and turned to Sonia. –I won’t be long. Are you hang-” Then he faltered. Lily was watching him curiously and exchanging looks with Martha who’d flown towards them. –Are you both hanging around?” he amended. –I can walk back with you, if you’ll wait for me to shower.”

Sonia gave him a half smile, but lowered her eyes.

–How sweet,” Phyllida said, breaking the silence. –James needs our protection.”

–What can I say?” James bluffed. –I know you can out-duel me anytime, Phyll. I want you on my side.”

–Which side is that?” Rich asked, his eyes sliding from Sonia to Phyllida and then back to Lily.

–Gryffindor, obviously,” Lily said, sounding arch. –James can’t see beyond any other House.”

–Me neither,” Sonia replied. Deliberately averting her eyes from James, she smoothed out the skirt of her robes, her hands travelling downwards over her long legs. –Phyll, we can wait, if you’d like. Or are you pining for Jacob?”

James felt his mouth go dry as he saw her licking her lower lip. He hadn’t planned on seeing Sonia until later tonight, but wasn’t sure now he wanted to wait.

***


–Where did you get to, Prongs?” Remus asked when James walked back into the common room. –The rest of the team were back ages ago.”

–Went for a walk,” he muttered. Not expanding anymore, he walked off to the dorm to dump his stuff. He grinned to himself. His walk back with Sonia and Phyll had taken a much more exciting turn when Phyllida had spotted Jacob. Alone, together, James had dragged Sonia off to the oak tree behind Hagrid’s hut and shown her exactly how much he’d missed her.

–Thanks for coming to watch,” he muttered, –but it’s a bit risky, don’t you think?”

Sonia smiled at him, then very slowly blew in his ear, letting her hand trail down his arm. –I can’t resist handsome Quidditch players,” she whispered.

–I’m not sure I can resist you,” he said, delighting at the way she wriggled in his arms. He bent his head down to kiss her again, and this time moved his hands up and down her back before resting below her waist. Sonia kissed him back, her fingers dancing on the nape of his neck; then she pulled away.

–Come back,” he grumbled. ”I was enjoying myself.”

She evaded his hand. –Me too, but ...” She licked her lips. –Tell the others about us, James. I’m getting sick of the secrecy.”


She’d walked away, not looking back, and he’d watched her go, her blonde hair ruffling in the breeze.

And now, as he lay on his bed, he pondered his dilemma. Perhaps he should finish it now? But when he thought about Sonia curling herself around him, he didn’t want this to end. Perhaps he could persuade her to keep this a secret after Halloween? But she’d been adamant this afternoon, spending far less time with him than usual. He also wasn’t sure she was still up for tonight and when he thought about it, he couldn’t blame her. It was his problem, and he had to face up to Peter soon.

–Just not yet,” he muttered to himself, and went to join the others in the common room.

–I think I know why James was so late back,” Martha said when he sat down opposite her and Sirius, snuggled up together on an armchair.

Sirius looked up from his crossword, and flipped her on the nose with his quill. –Was he sulking because we weren’t there to watch?”

–Merlin, no!” exclaimed James. He started to laugh. –The practise went so well that I’m going to permanently ban you from watching.”

–So why was he late, then?” Sirius asked Martha.

She started to giggle. –Sonia was there and seemed very interested in him. I think he was trying to escape.”

–Sonia was there?” Sirius raised his eyebrows. –Watch out, Prongs, she’s deadlier than Devil’s Snare.”

–Give it a rest,” James snapped. He glanced at Remus, hunched into the corner of the sofa whilst Mary sprawled out. Remus would understand. Perhaps he could get him by himself.

–She ‘leurves’, you,” Sirius said, sniggering. –You need to get yourself a girlfriend, mate, before she pounces.”

–Where’s Peter?” James said abruptly.

–Don’t change the subject!” Sirius was relentless, his eyes boring into James. –What happened, Martha?”

–Oh, well, Sonia was making it very clear that she wanted James to walk her back.”

–Phyll was there,” James said.

–Where was I?” Phyll asked. She looked up from her book at the mention of her name, and moved her chair closer to James.

–Watching the practise, apparently,” Remus remarked. He sounded casual, but there was something about the way he was watching James that made James feel uncomfortable.

–Yes, I was. You were good, Martha and it’s great to see you flying again, Mary. You must have a good chance of retain-”

–Boring!” interrupted Sirius. –What we want to know, Phyll, is whether your mate was chasing Prongs again? Hasn’t she got the message by now?”

–Don’t know what you mean,” Phyllida said softly. –Sonia came along to keep me company. Anyway, aren’t you more interested in Lily’s boyfriend turning up?”

Sirius yawned loudly. –Not interested. Martha and Mary have already picked that to bits. Besides, I need to help my mate extricate himself from Slattery’s web.” He shook his head, and stage whispered, –Been there, mate, you don’t want to know.”

–Why wouldn’t he?” Phyllida asked. James could hear a dangerous note in her voice, and avoided her eyes. –You didn’t seem to mind last year, Black. Spent rather a lot of time chasing her, I remember?”

As Martha squirmed uncomfortably, Sirius glared at Phyllida. –James should learn from my mistakes. If Sonia gets her hooks into him -”

As Mary now added her voice to Phyllida’s protests, James began to breathe deeply.

–You’re not going to say anything,” Phyllida said, staring at him.

James swallowed, but still wouldn’t look at her.

–Wow,” she muttered. –Sonia really does know how to pick them.”

–It’s not the right time,” he mumbled. –I need to speak to Peter.”

–All I’m saying-” Sirius argued loudly, –is that she should have given up by now. She’s just looking desperate. Ha - Prongs, maybe she’ll move on to Avery. He seems to be the only one interested!”

–That’s what you think, is it?” Sonia’s voice, trembling yet clear, seared the atmosphere. To James’ horror, she must have just entered the room from the girls’ staircase and he had no idea how much she’d heard. Her eyes glistening with tears, she searched their faces, resting momentarily on each one before finally meeting James’ eyes. –I hadn’t realised I was such a joke.”

–For Merlin’s sake, Sonia,” Sirius called as she ran back the way she came. –It’s a bit of fun. We’re mucking-”

James could hear Sirius’ words, saw Remus staring across at him, and felt Phyllida’s kick. –Sonia!” he called out.

She hesitated, her shoulders shaking, but didn’t turn around. Swiftly, James rose from his chair and strode across towards her. There were tears on her face, the humiliation wrought for everyone to see. –Go away,” she whispered. –I’m not doing this anymore, James.”

He smiled at her. –That’s a shame,” he murmured. Then, slowly and with utter deliberation, he tilted his head down and proceeded to kiss her.

–What the?” Sirius spluttered, as cheers echoed across the common room. –Is this what you’ve been getting up to?”

James broke away. –Yes, Padfoot, it is. So, if you don’t mind, I’d like you to take back all that crap you’ve just said about my girlfriend.” Catching her hand, he walked towards the group by the fireplace. Next to him, Sonia was sniffing, wiping her eyes and nose with her handkerchief but smiling. He put his arm around her, loving the way she melted into him and sat down on the sofa, pulling her on to his lap.

–What about Peter?” Remus said cautiously.

–I’ll go and find him, now,” James replied calmly.

–There’s no need,” Mary muttered, and nudged James.

He followed her gaze. Peter was standing by the common room door, a large book in his hand. His eyes drank in the scene, lingering on Sonia who had the grace to look away.


James struggled to his feet. –Peter, I can explain.”

–Explain what?” Peter rasped. –We all knew you’d been sneaking out, James. It was obvious. Can’t think why you didn’t tell us in the first place. Congratulations.”

It was a bluff; they all knew that, but in the ghastly silence that followed, no one wanted to say a word.

–Friendship!” Sirius declared suddenly and picked up his crossword. –’The last short day spent on the sea with mates.’”


–What?” James queried, dragging his eyes away from Peter’s gaze. He didn’t really care, but anything was better than the quiet that had descended on the room.

–Short day is ‘Fri’ for Friday, ‘last’ is ‘end’, a ‘ship’ sails on the sea. Whole clue is ‘mates’ - friendship. Those five Galleons are as good as mine.”

–Good for you, Padfoot,” James said. He looked across to Peter, wanting now more than anything to apologise and explain, but Peter had gone.
End Notes:
sorry for the wait.
Chapter 22 - Out in the Open by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Sorry, this has taken so long. Brief recap ... James and Sonia are out in the open as a couple. James is also trying to remember why Brackenfen (where Flaxen's body was found) is so familiar. Lily likes a flash git from Hogsmeade. Sirius is lush ...

Lily was hurrying back to the castle when she saw Peter. He was sitting on one of the tree trunks throwing stones into the lake and, although she didn’t feel obliged to stop and talk, there was a disconsolate air about him that made her falter.

–Hiya,” she called. Peter raised his hand but said nothing. –Aren’t you cold without your cloak?”

–A bit,” he muttered.

–Well, shall we go back inside then?” she asked as she walked across. –It looks as if it’s going to rain.”

Peter shrugged. –I’m not keeping you, Lily.”

Only slightly affronted by his manner, Lily sat next to him. Picking up a flat stone from the ground, she flicked her hand and watched it skim across the surface. –What’s up?”

–I think you probably know,” he replied sourly. –It seems everyone knew apart from me.”

–Um, knew what?” Lily asked, wracking her brains.

–James and Sonia,” he said in a dull tone.

–Sorry?”

Peter turned his face towards her. –James and Sonia are going out together. Explains why he’s been sneaking around the castle without us.”

–Ah, that makes sense,” she replied. –I thought there was something funny going on. Sonia’s been so secretive lately, which is so unlike her. They’ve been very discreet, though. I mean, I suspected something, but she’s not said a word.”

–Yeah, so discreet. She was all over him in the common room, and he wasn’t objecting,” he said, and resumed his stone throwing. –I had no bloody idea.”

–It’s not entirely unexpected. She’s a pretty girl, Peter, and she likes having a boyfriend,” she murmured, thinking back over the past few weeks. In the past when Sonia had started seeing someone, she’d witter on about it for days, but recently she’d been quiet. Her smiles had been soft and secret and although Lily had suspected she was seeing someone, she’d not spared too much time thinking about it.

–She’s been after him since the beginning of term,” Peter said, interrupting her reverie.

Lily grinned. –She’s very tenacious; I wasn’t sure Potter would succumb, though.”

–Well, he has,” Peter said. He stood up and threw the last stone across the surface of the water, watching as it skimmed the surface before plummeting to the lakebed.

As he bent down to find more stones, Lily touched him on the arm. She’d known Peter liked Sonia, but also knew there wasn’t a chance her friend felt the same way. She took a breath, picking her words carefully. –Are you that bothered? I know Sonia’s pretty, but she’s not worth getting cold and miserable over, is she?”

Peter screwed up his nose. –I knew I didn’t have a chance. She’s made that perfectly clear. I ... just ... He’s my mate, Lily. He should have -”

–Asked permission?” she said, her tone slightly mocking. –Peter, James Potter doesn’t think he needs permission from anyone to do anything.”

–I would have liked him to have told me, that’s all,” he said, sighing. –We are supposed to be friends.”

–There’s no ‘supposed’ about it. That’s probably why they kept it secret,” Lily said sagely. –And that could also be why Potter’s heading this way with your cloak in his hand.”

–Really?” Peter looked away from Lily then turned back to the lake. –Hell, what shall I say?”

–Um, well if you were a first year, I’d suggest you could try sulking until he feels so guilty he gives you all his Chocolate Frogs,” Lily said, relieved when she saw him smile. –But unless you really want to hex him, I think you should just pretend you don’t give a Kneazle about it.”

–He knows I’m annoyed though,” Peter muttered. –I walked out of the common room without saying anything. I must have looked a right prat.”

–No,” she whispered. –You were late for meeting up with me because ... I needed to ask you about Snitch. Now, I’m going to pretend you’ve just told me this incredibly funny joke.” She burst out laughing making Peter jump, but he quickly took her lead and started laughing along.

–So, the next time he refuses to eat all his owl nuts -” Peter said, –you have to ... Oh, hi, Prongs.”

Lily glanced across at James, affecting disinterest, but was pleased to see he looked incredibly uncomfortable.

–Peter, I ... uh ... It’s about me and Sonia ...”

–Mmm, I was just telling Lily,” Peter replied, his voice steady. –We couldn’t work out why you had to keep it secret.”

–I suspect Sonia’s ashamed of him,” Lily butted in and rolled her eyes at James. He smiled uncertainly back at her.

–Yeah, you could be right,” he muttered. –Lily, can you go? I really want to speak to Peter.”

–No need,” Peter tried to say, but James stopped him.

–Yeah, there is. I’ve been a prat and I’d rather not say all of this in front of Evans.”

Lily stood up and carefully brushed the mud off her robes. –Chocolate frogs,” she said quietly to Peter. He chuckled and waved as she stepped away and turned towards the castle.


–So you and Sonia,” Peter murmured to James. –Been going on long, has it?”

–Not long.”

–I thought you didn’t like her. You kept saying how annoying she was.”

Handing Peter his cloak, James swallowed, then sat down on the trunk next to him. –I didn’t know her,” he said frankly. –But then we got talking, that day I followed her and Lily into Hogsmeade, and I realised I’d got her wrong.” He breathed heavily, and stared at his hands before continuing. –I should have told you, sorry.”

–You don’t have to ask my permission,” Peter replied hoping he sounded unconcerned. –Look, James. Really, it’s fine. Sonia’s pretty, and yeah, I would have liked to go out with her, but I’m not that bothered. Plenty more witches in the coven. Anyway how was your practise?”

–Uh, very good, actually,” James replied, pouncing on the change of subject. –Except Martha was late - again, and then Lily turned up with that tosser of a barman who tried to tell me -” He trailed off.

–You sound jealous,” Peter remarked, with an edge to his voice.


–Bloody hell!”

–What?” Peter stopped walking, and turned back to James. –Prongs, what is it?”

–Brackenfen!” James exclaimed. –That place where Flaxen was found.”

–You’ve remembered why it’s familiar?” Peter stared at him.

–Too right,” James muttered. He increased his pace, breaking into a run as he headed back to the castle.

–Where are you going?” Peter yelled after him.

–To speak to Lily,” James called back.

–Yeah, thanks, that says a lot,” Peter replied, but he knew James wasn’t listening. With a sigh, he swung his cloak around his shoulders, fastened it at the top and trundled after James.



Because he was running so fast and only concentrating on Lily ahead, who had reached the main courtyard, James failed to see the figure emerging from the greenhouses until he was sent sprawling onto the ground.

–Merlin, watch where you’re -” he gasped, then stopped to catch his breath, suddenly realising who he’d knocked over. –Ah, sorry, sir.”


Fabian Prewett raised one eyebrow and picked himself up from the grass. –Watch where I’m going, Potter?” he said sternly. –Where are you off to in such a hurry?”

Panting slightly, James pointed towards Lily. –Need to talk to her,” he wheezed.

–Surely you can speak to Miss Evans, anytime,” the professor replied. –Or is this the pair of you making up after an argument?”


–Nothing like that.” As he stood, James bent over catching his breath and saw Lily had now entered the castle. He couldn’t catch her alone now, and now he thought about it, jumping in with two feet to accuse her boyfriend of Merlin-knows-what would only get her back up. Perhaps he should talk to the others first or ... No, they liked him, too.

–Sir, can I have a word?”

–I have a spare few minutes, or so,” Fabian replied, after studying his watch. –I doubt you’re having problems with your homework?”

–Uh, no, nothing like that. It’s um ...”

–Not your love-life, because really, Potter, I’m not qualified in that area-–


–No, no, sir, please, it’s important.”

Fabian studied him thoughtfully and then, with one hand, steered him towards the main entrance. He didn’t speak, but as they climbed the stairs, James knew they were heading for Professor Prewett’s office. He’d not been here since last year when their old professor had summoned both him and Sirius for a weeklong detention, and he was interested to see what changes the new incumbent had wrought.

Professor Tweddle had liked his comforts, but nothing luxurious. He’d had two old armchairs by his fire and a shelf of neatly arranged pot plants. His study had been cosy and not at all forbidding, which had summed up the man perfectly. He’d been an adequate professor, guiding them through their OWLs, but James hadn’t been that sorry to see him go. He’d been safe, that was all. And as he looked around the study, James wondered again about their new teacher and just why Professor Dumbledore had hired him.

Fabian Prewett had very few possessions and little to no books on display. There were a stack of newspapers in a box by his desk, which were probably used for kindling, but apart from that, everything else was functional. On his desk were essays and a quill, and on the shelf, he kept wand cleaning wax and a bottle of ink. The one surprise - the one personal item - was a photograph on his desk featuring a red haired couple and three children. James grinned as the two oldest boys in the picture pulled faces at the camera, whilst the baby stared straight ahead.

–My sister and her family,” Professor Prewett explained. –Now, Potter, what can I help you with?”

–Uhm...” James bit his lip, not knowing where to start. He’d been sure of the link, and knew he was right about the place, but if Soule’s presence at Brackenfen was suspicious, then did that also place Lily, Mary and Martha under equal suspicion?


–Potter, I don’t have all day,” the professor chided, but gently. –There’s obviously something bothering you, so if you don’t want to speak to me, shall I fetch Professor McGonagall?” He gestured with his hand towards a chair and sat on the corner of his desk while he waited

James deliberated then took the proffered seat. –It’s probably nothing, sir.”

It didn’t take him long to tell the tale. He explained about Jeremy Flaxen and Remus’ dad’s connection. He told the professor that Remus had met him, and Peter remembered him from school. Then he paused.

–Thing is, sir, the Prophet says his body was found at a place called Brackenfen.”

Fabian nodded, his blue eyes holding James steady in his gaze. –You know this place, do you, Potter?”

–I know of it,” James replied. Then he cleared his throat. –Lily went there over the summer. She, Mary and Martha visited Godric’s Hollow, where I live, and had some help from my father. They were touring the Founders’ places of birth, and my dad thought Brackenfen was a contender for Slythy Fen, so that’s why they went there and - really - there was no other reason. I don’t think for a moment -”

Fabian smiled. –Being in the vicinity doesn’t make them guilty, James. Now, is that all you need to tell me?” He got off the table, sounding dismissive, but James didn’t move.

–Soule was there!” he blurted out.

Was he imagining the flickering of tension in Professor Prewett’s eyes?

–Who?”

No, James wasn’t imagining it. The professor knew exactly whom he was talking about.

–The barman at The Three Broomsticks, the flash git that I was telling you about,” he replied. –Lily’s been seeing him. She met him in Brackenfen.” Swallowing, James got to his feet. –Sir, I think that’s suspicious.”

–You don’t like the man, though, do you? You’re not still jealous, are you, Potter?” he suggested.

–Uh, sir. Soule turns up in England and visits a place where a body’s found. You’re right, I don’t like him, but it doesn’t alter the fact that he was in Brackenfen over the summer.”

–You need more than that to accuse a man of murder, Potter. And, as you said, the girls were there, too. That makes them culpable if we apply your logic.” He didn’t sound as dismissive now, and there was an edge to his voice, but James stayed firm.

–I just think it’s suspicious and if I do nothing else, then I should tell Professor Dumbledore and also warn Lily about her boyfriend.”

–Because she’ll believe you,” Professor Prewett said scornfully. Then he sighed. –Potter, I know what it looks like, and believe me if I were you, I’d be suspicious and a touch jealous too-”

–It’s not jealousy, sir,” he interrupted.

–Okay, it’s not jealousy, and if you want to tell Professor Dumbledore, then I’m not going to stop you.” He hesitated and then touched James on the arm. –But the Headmaster is a very busy man, and I’d rather we kept this between ourselves.”


–Sir?”

Professor Prewett stared at him intently. –I think there’s something in what you’re saying, Potter, so I’d like you to let me take a look into it. But this has to be between the two of us, okay? No telling Black or anyone else.”

–Why not?”

–The more people know, the more likely it is that word will reach Soule, and if he is a murderer, then you don’t want him coming after you - or Lily.”

James thought about it, fixed a smile on his face and nodded. –Okay, sir. I’ll leave it with you. But don’t you think I should warn Lily?”

–She’s not allowed into Hogsmeade, is she?” Professor Prewett remarked. –So, she won’t be seeing him for a while. Besides, if you tell her, then she’s bound to tell Soule and that will put him on his guard.”

About to protest that he’d had seen Soule in the grounds that afternoon, James suddenly stopped. Whatever he said, Professor Prewett seemed to be putting obstacles in his way. And he was right. Lily would no sooner believe Soule was a murderer than he believed it of her. James could get her confined to Gryffindor if he mentioned she’d been showing him around the grounds, but knowing Lily as he did, she’d only be more likely to sneak out. And she would warn Soule, who would then scarper.

–You’re right,” he agreed. Standing up, he smiled at Professor Prewett. –Thanks, sir. I know I’m probably making too much out of this, but I thought I should mention it, just in case.”

The professor half smiled back. With his wand, he opened the door, clearly indicating that the chat was now over. –Not at all. I’m glad you felt you could come to me. Remember what I said, though, Potter. The more people who know about this, the more chance Soule will find out.”

–Sure,” James said. He left the classroom, pleased to get away from an atmosphere that had suddenly felt oppressive. He didn’t quite know why, but he trusted Professor Prewett and wasn’t about to blab to Lily. However, he had no intention of keeping quiet about this.

As he headed up towards Gryffindor Tower, he caught sight of Peter ahead, and loped up the stairs after him.

–Did you speak to Lily?” Peter asked.

James shook his head, then in a low voice, started to tell Peter about his suspicions and his subsequent interview with Professor Prewett. Peter listened intently, but said nothing until James had finished.

–You’re really serious about this, aren’t you?” Peter said at last, sounding incredulous.

James turned irritably. –Not you as well. He was in Brackenfen and it just happens to be the place where Flaxen’s body was found. That’s too much of a coincidence, don’t you think?”


–He was probably there for the same reason as they were - a holiday. A tour of the Founders’ birthplaces. He told us that he’d met Sirius’ Uncle Alphard, who’d told him about Slythy Fen - remember?” He swallowed. –Prongs, you can’t go round accusing someone of murder just because you don’t like them. And why would he do that? He’s not even from this country.”

Staring at the wall, James thought over Peter’s words. –I don’t trust him,” he mumbled.

–Because Lily likes him?” Peter asked quietly and stopped on the stairs. –James, you’re going out with Sonia, aren’t you?”

–It’s got nothing to do with that,” James protested. Pushing past Peter, he started up the stairs again, before turning back to assess his friend. –Soule was in the forest, remember?”

Peter shrugged. –So were we.”

James gave up. Perhaps he was being an idiot. He smiled ruefully. –He turned up at my Quidditch practise and tried to tell me how to run my team - stupid arse.”

Punching James on the arm as he resumed his climb up the stairs, Peter burst out laughing. –Ha ha, to you that’s worse than murder.”


The consensus from Sirius and Remus was that Peter was right. Soule’s presence in Brackenfen couldn’t be counted as incriminating, especially when Remus remembered Mary telling him that he’d not spent much time there. They’d seen him in the cafe and then when Lily hurt her foot. The next morning, he’d left early.

–Isn’t that more suspicious?”

Sirius snorted. –Prongs, give it up. If he’d bumped someone off, he’s not going to do a runner and then go and work in Hogsmeade, is he?”

–It’s a coincidence, that’s all,” Remus said. –And Jeremy could have drowned anywhere and the tide brought him to Brackenfen.”

Removing his glasses, James rubbed the bridge of his nose and sighed. –Fine, fine.” He turned away, mildly irritated at their objections, but not wanting to prolong the discussion. At least this has distracted them from Sonia, he thought in relief and stood up.

–You going somewhere?”

–Uh ... well, I said I’d meet Sonia,” he muttered sheepishly.

Sirius rolled his eyes at Peter and Remus. –Go on, then, lover-boy.” Then he pouted. –You will still play with us, won’t you, Prongs?”

James grinned. –Yeah, sure, just not in the Restricted Section,” he said, laughing. He could have bitten his tongue off as soon as he’d said it. A bleak expression had flashed briefly across Peter’s face, so quick James wondered if he’d imagined it. But he knew he hadn’t. Peter might have said he was fine about him seeing Sonia, but he wasn’t.

–You are all cool about this, aren’t you?” James asked. His eyes lingered on Peter’s face then switched to Sirius, who shrugged.

–Not my business, Prongs,” he replied. –Don’t say I haven’t warned you, though. Sonia’s all right for a month when all you’re doing is snogging, but she’s bloody hard work on the ears when you come up for air.”

Resisting the urge to hex the knowing smirk off Sirius’ face, James left the dormitory. At least Peter was laughing now.

***


To a counterpoint of Phyllida and Sonia’s chatter, Lily brushed her hair and stared at herself in the old mirror hanging on the wall over the mantelpiece. Sonia’s high spirits had initially been infectious but were now rather irritating. So, she was seeing James, but was it really necessary to giggle over every detail? Lily scowled, examining her reflection as Phyllida laughed even louder. Then she felt ashamed. Only this morning, Phyllida had confided in her that she wanted to be treated normally. She shouldn’t begrudge her this harmless fun.

–You’re very quiet,” Sonia said, looking up from the floor where she was sprawled on a cushion, sharing chocolates with Phyllida. –And you still haven’t explained how Rich managed to get into Hogwarts.”

Slowly, Lily turned around; she smiled at them both and allowed the light-headed feelings inside her to surface. She giggled as she sat on the plush pink rug next to them. It made a change for her to have someone to talk about.

–He was delivering wine to Professor Slughorn for one of his ‘soirees’.”

–And had to make a detour via the Quidditch pitch,” said Sonia.

–And the greenhouses,” Lily replied, her lips curving into a smile at the memory.

–Ohh, so more than a ‘sort of’ kiss then?” Phyllida said, and sighed. –He is good looking, Lily.”

–Is there a ‘but’ coming?” Lily asked, fearful because she realised that Phyllida and Rich hadn’t really seen eye-to-eye.

But Phyllida shook her head. –No, just that it’s going to be a bit difficult seeing him when you can’t get to Hogsmeade. It’s hard enough for me to find time with Jacob, and he’s only in a separate house.”

–Going out with a Gryffindor is the best,” Sonia said smugly. –And now we’re out in the open, I’ll get to see James whenever I want.”

Sitting on her bed, reading a magazine, Mary snorted. –You were the one telling us how awful it was going out with Sirius because he wouldn’t put you first. What makes you think James will be any different?”

–Killjoy!” Sonia exclaimed, and playfully chucked the cushion at Mary. –I’m happy, don’t ruin this for me.”

Mary winked at Lily. –Sonia Slattery you have spent all term being very cynical about me seeing Remus. I now find you’ve been sneaking around with James, so I think I’m entitled to some fun at your expense!”


As Phyllida began to laugh, Sonia poked out her tongue. Very haughtily, she stood up and brushed out her robes. –Well, I am going to meet James and have some fun of my own,” she said airily. –I might see you at dinner; it depends whether we lose track of time.”

–Makes a change that we’ve all got boyfriends,” Mary said as they watched Sonia leave.

–Mmm,” agreed Phyllida. She leant across Lily and dipped her hand into the box of chocolates. –I’m not up for a quadruple date, though. Jacob wouldn’t understand at all if I turned up with my ex.”

–At least you’re likely to get a date,” Lily muttered gloomily. –I can’t rely on Professor Slughorn getting deliveries every weekend. Although ...”

–You’re looking suspiciously pleased with yourself,” Mary remarked. –Please tell me you’re not thinking about sneaking out again, are you?”

–No,” Lily replied, –but Professor Slughorn is fond of throwing parties, and if he says we can bring a partner, then I can ask Rich, can’t I?”


As she turned back to the mirror, she caught sight of Phyllida rolling her eyes. She couldn’t see Mary’s expression but heard her muffle a cough.

–Do you two have a problem with Rich?” she asked, trying to sound casual.

–No, no,” Mary replied, but she sounded flustered and Lily knew that her friends must have been discussing him. –Only ... well ....”

–He’s older than you,” Phyllida said succinctly. –That’s all. And we don’t know him very well, do we?”

–What does that have to do with anything?” Lily demanded. –I’m getting to know him slowly. Isn’t that the best way?”

Phyllida opened her mouth to say something, but then must have thought better of it. Her hand hovered over the chocolate box before she looked back at Lily. –Just be careful, okay? You can’t trust people because they have a pretty smile, Lily.”


***


It made a change being able to walk along a corridor holding hands with Sonia and not ducking into alcoves whenever anyone came past. Although James had rather enjoyed the subterfuge, it was quite a relief to have a normal conversation with Sonia instead of continually checking over his shoulder.

–So Peter was okay about us, was he?” Sonia asked.

James shrugged, not really wanting to talk about it. His mind was still whirring with thoughts of Rich Soule, but he didn’t want to talk about that, either. –He said he was. In fact, his exact words were ‘plenty more witches in the coven.’”

–Charming!” she exclaimed, then giggled. –That sounds like one of Sirius’ lines.”

–Er, yeah, it is. You disappointed not to have him after you anymore?” he asked, trying to sound casual.

Sonia stopped walking and gave him a look. –Since the beginning of this term, I’ve only wanted one person after me, James Potter, and if you haven’t realised that by now, then I’m not sure how you managed to pass your OWLs because you must be thick.” She gave him a smile and, with a toss of her head, carried on walking. –Where are we going, anyway?”

–Anywhere you want,” he replied, –but I wouldn’t mind a kiss before we get there.”

She stopped and allowed him to pull her back into his arms. Automatically, Sonia tilted her face up to his and slid her hands to his shoulders. As she closed her eyes in anticipation, James licked his own lips and stared just for a second down at her face. She was so very pretty, and now he didn’t have to sneak around to be with her. She was also clearly into him, so who knew where this could lead. Touching his lips softly to hers, he kissed her once, and then trailed his fingertips across her cheek and to her neck.

–I’m Quidditch captain, you know,” he murmured.

–Yes, I know,” she said, and started to giggle. –Why are you reminding me of that?”

–Because I have certain privileges,” he whispered, –and one of them is the use of the Prefect’s bathroom. I could check it’s free if you’d like to ... uh ...”

–That sounds inter- Oh, hell!” Sonia stopped speaking, bit her lip and buried her head in James’ chest.

–What’s up?” he started to say, but then a voice carried towards them.

–Well, well, well, what have we here, Potter and Sluttery. ”

–Ignore him, please,” Sonia hissed.

–Can’t do that, Son,” he muttered in reply as he groped for his wand. –Avery, how ... pleasant,” he drawled. With a smile, he released his hold on Sonia but stepped slightly in front of her. –Now, I’m not going to start anything, but I think you’ll agree that Sonia and I can take you quite easily, so ...” He paused and stepped closer to Avery, flourishing his wand in front of him. –We’d like an apology for ‘Sluttery’ and then you can go on your way.”

Avery raised one eyebrow, and then he laughed. –I’m exactly where I want to be, Potter. And what makes you think I’m alone?”

He let out a whistle, and from both ends of the corridor, two figures emerged. In the lamplight, James could make out the shapes but not the features as they approached.

–Let Sonia go,” he said, staring at Avery. –It’s me you want.”

–No, no, no,” Avery said, letting out a sigh. –This is the bitch who hexed me. You’re just a bonus, Potter.”
End Notes:
Thank you if you've read this despite the wait. I am a bad bad person, but will try to update more regularly.
Chapter 23 -Battlescars by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
This chapter is rather jam packed. Hold onto your hats! Thank you, Kara, as always for being amazing.

James eyed Avery warily, gripping his wand tighter when he saw the other Slytherins. As they drew close, he recognised them and wasn’t altogether surprised. Snape looked positively happy to see him cornered there, a sly smirk tugging at one corner of his mouth. And the other? Well, James had thought it only a matter of time before that particular Slytherin Chaser became involved.

–Sonia, stay behind me,” he muttered, –but get your wand out.”

–Already out,” she whispered, her voice shaky. –Who is that other one?”

–Borgin, he’s friends with Sirius’ brother,” James replied. –Okay, I’m going to -”

–Expelliarmus!”

James dodged the Disarming Jinx easily, but as he reacted, twisting around to fire a hex at Snape, he saw his error. Left exposed, Sonia stumbled back against the wall, falling to the floor, as Borgin sent a hex her way.

–Leave her alone!” James yelled. He fired off two spells, one at Avery that glanced off his arm, and one at Borgin, which had more success, sending him reeling. But James was still one fighting three, and unsure if Sonia was hurt.


Take out the strongest, he thought. Then, with barely a flicker, he sent another hex towards Snape, who deflected it easily and sent one straight back. Behind James, Sonia got to her feet, but Borgin, with a smirk, fired off a Stunner and it was only thanks to his laugh alerting her that she managed to slide out of the way. It missed her by a hair’s breadth, making a hole in the wall. Shocked, she dropped her wand and it shot across the floor.

–Shit!” James muttered. –If you get a chance, run. Find Sirius and the others.”

–I can’t leave you,” she whispered.

–And I can’t fight if I’m trying to defend you,” he hissed. Then, pointing his wand to the corner, he tried to Summon her wand.

But Avery had got there first, stamping his foot down before holding it tight in his grasp.

–Not a bad prize, Sluttery,” he mocked, then licked his lips. –Just think of the fun I could have with your wand.”


–Give it back,” she said, trying to sound calm, but everyone could hear the tremor in her voice. She swallowed and when she spoke again, she sounded placatory. –Gus, please return it.”

–No, no, no,” Avery replied. –That wouldn’t be a good idea at all, not after the last time.” He smiled nastily at James. –Did this cow tell you, Potter? All I wanted was a kiss. From what Bennett says, that’s the very least she’ll give out. Isn’t that right, darling?”

James stood stock still, staring intently, but all the while wondering what was about to happen. He heard Sonia gasp when Avery mentioned Julius, but he didn’t have time to ponder her reaction now. If he shot something at Avery, the others would hex him. If he cast a Shield Charm, it would protect them, but Sonia would lose her wand. And from the way Avery was leering at her, James had no doubt he’d take his revenge - nastily.

But he couldn’t do nothing.

With a sudden surge, James rattled off two spells; one, a Jelly-Legs Jinx, hit Borgin with satisfying speed, the second whipped across Avery’s cheek, causing him to stagger backwards. Sonia darted forwards to wrench both wands from his grasp, whilst James, silently cheering her on, fired his last chance at Snape.

The jinx didn’t hit its mark, and Snape, dodging, started to laugh scornfully.

–Hex the bastard!” Avery yelled, as he tried to recover, –and get the bitch as well!”

But Snape didn’t listen. Instead of a hex, he murmured, almost complacently, –Accio Glasses!”


Before he could react, James’ glasses left his face and flew into Snape’s hand. –Want to try again, Potter?” he mocked, dangling them high above his head. –Come on, I’m an easy target.”

But everything was a blur, and with Snape whirring around, and Avery grabbing Sonia, James had no idea who he was aiming at. He gripped his wand, knowing it was his only hope. But all he could see were the flash of spells, the colours flicking towards him, and whilst he managed to spin away from two of them, one hit him on the back, sending him hurtling forwards. It proved a blessing; he landed on Snape, and both crashed to the ground.

–I don’t need glasses when you’re this close, Snivellus!” he spat, and clenching his fist, he pounded it into Snape’s face.

He heard Sonia’s scream before he felt the hex to his side, and knew it had come from Borgin. The searing pain leeched into him, stabbing upwards and radiating towards his spine. Shuddering to the floor, writhing, James waited for the next blow to land.

–Stop this, please,” Sonia beseeched Avery. Through the haze, James could see her tugging on his arm. –Please, Gus, don’t hurt him. We’ll go back to Gryffindor, and say nothing. Please ...”

–I’ll think about it, Slattery, but what will you do for me?”

–Come on!” Snape rapped. –We’ve got Potter’s wand and her wand. What more do we need?”

Avery laughed. –You never quite get it, do you, Snape? This was about more than wands. Slattery owes me a kiss - at the very least.”

–Sonia, don’t -” gasped James, but the corridor was spinning far too quickly for him to be able to do anything other than make a token protest.

–Shut up, Potter,” Avery snarled. –Your tart might just find out what she’s missing.”

Blood roared through his ears, fury surging, but James was powerless. Borgin wrenched him upwards to kneeling, forcing him to face Avery. He saw, although it was a mass of shapes, Sonia step close to Avery, saw Avery grasp her hair and lower his mouth to her face. He waited to hear the sounds of Sonia protesting, or some reaction of disgust, but instead she remained silent and almost still, allowing his hand to travel to her chest.

He turned away, wrestling out of Borgin’s grasp.

Then there was a thump and an agonised cry. James jerked his head back to the scene to see Sonia still standing and Avery slumped on the floor. In her hands, she held both wands, one trained on Snape and one on Borgin.

–Let James go,” she ordered Borgin.

–She’s useless,” Snape shouted, –and can’t aim straight to save her life.”

–You really want to risk that, Borgin?” she called, and to emphasise her point, and without warning, she shouted, –Locomotor!” causing a large still life painting to crash down onto Snape’s head.

Borgin gaped, then seeing both his comrades down, let go of James and backed away down the corridor.

Taking a breath, Sonia bent down to retrieve James’ glasses and wand from the barely-stirring Snape. She seemed calm, not shaking as she helped James up and led him away from the scene.

He put on his glasses, grimacing as everything became much clearer. Sonia’s lips looked puffy and her robe was torn where a hex - or maybe Avery’s hands - had ripped away the sleeve. –Do you need to see Pomfrey?”

–I’m not hurt,” she murmured. –You look worse than me.”

He shrugged and stopped himself wincing. –Had worse on the Quidditch pitch,” he mumbled.

As they turned the corner, Sonia started to shake, so he placed his arm across her shoulders, guiding her back to Gryffindor Tower. Apart from a few stragglers hurrying along to dinner, there was no one about. James’ stomach started to rumble, but he carried on walking back to the Tower.

As they got to the common room door, he faltered and released Sonia. He stepped back from her and studied the floor carefully.

–Sorry,” he muttered again.

–What for?” she asked. –You didn’t hex me.”

–Might as well have done. I was bloody useless. Are you okay?”

Her voice sounded shaky now. She sniffed and tried to laugh, but it all became too much and he heard her gulping back a sob.

–He kissed you,” James muttered.

–Oh, that.” Sonia took a breath and flashed him a watery smile. –It’s not important.”

–Yeah, you don’t seem that upset.” Seeing her flinch, James could have bitten his tongue off as soon as he’d said it. He reached out but she took a step away.

–Kissing Gus Avery was revolting, and if you seriously think I enjoyed it -” She broke off and batted away his hand.

–Son, I’m sorry,” he protested. –I didn’t mean-”

–No, you’re like all the others and just assume that because it’s me, I’ll snog anyone and won’t care about it.”

–That’s not what I meant at all!” he protested, but Sonia had made it to the door, cried out the password, and dashed into the common room before he could finish. He stumbled after her, but the only thing he could see was the hem of her robe as she ran up the stairs towards her dormitory.

He thought about chasing her, wondered if she’d stop if he screamed out her name, but decided against it. He was tired, battered and bruised and wanted nothing more than his bed, and time to compose himself, before the others got back.

In the bathroom, he splashed his face with water, cleaning the blood from his lips and swilling out his mouth. He didn’t look too bad; certainly, there were no visible marks on his face, but his side ached and he wondered if Borgin had broken a rib with the hex.

–Hell, we’ve got the match next Saturday,” he muttered and gingerly lifted up his robe. There was a red hex mark, scorching across his waist. It smarted when he laid his fingers across it, but apart from an initial wince, he thought it superficial.


He limped back to his dorm, settling down on his bed and stared open-eyed at the curtains.

Borgin had fired a Stunner at Sonia. That wasn’t a joke or a teasing jinx. Avery’s malevolence and Snape’s hatred he could cope with. Hell, he deserved their antagonism most of the time and gloried that he could provoke them. He took what they fired at him, but Sonia was different. And he’d been powerless to stop it. It hadn’t been better magic that had defeated him, but something simple. A Summoning Charm exposing James’ weakness for everyone to see.

Sonia had saved him. She’d worked her way out of it, and bested both Avery and Snape.


Levering himself off the bed, James knew he had to find her. He needed to apologise, and something else was bothering him. Something in the bitter words she’d flung at him connected with Avery’s insults.

He’d got to the bottom of the stairs leading to the common room when he saw her sitting by the fire with Phyllida. Neither were talking, both staring at the flames, sipping tea, whilst a trail of first and second years marched back from dinner.

–Hi,” he murmured, and raised his hand.

Sonia looked away, but Phyllida glared at him. –What do you want?”

–To talk to Sonia,” he replied.

–Not much to say, is there?” Sonia murmured, still not facing him.

–Yeah there is,” he said, and crouched down by her side. –I was a prat and you were brilliant.” He glanced at Phyllida and smiled. –Has she told you what she did?”

Phyllida shook her head. –Only told me that there was a fight with the Slytherins and then you two argued.”

–Your mate disarmed Avery when she was wandless, and then knocked out Snivelly.” He grinned. –Very impressive.”

Phyllida raised her eyebrows. –And where were you, then?”

–Uh, well I was fighting the other seven gits that turned up,” he joked. Then he pulled his face straight. –I’d been disarmed, too.”

–You’re okay, though,” Phyllida remarked.

He nodded but didn’t elaborate as he placed one hand on Sonia’s arm. –Can we talk somewhere else? I want to apologise properly.”

–I’m not leaving Gryffindor,” she said, shivering. –But I suppose we can talk in your dorm. I doubt it’ll make a difference to my reputation, will it?”


Seeing Phyllida flash her a worried look, James smiled ruefully. –Well, I’d break into your room, but I’m guessing the wards still work and I’ll end up worse than Avery did after messing with you.”

She consented and allowed him to guide her up the stairs, but there was a bleakness in her expression, and he couldn’t quite fathom why.

–Um, take a pew,” he muttered, gesturing to the scruffy armchair by the fire. She shook her head, instead walking over to the window seat and stared across the grounds. James joined her, sitting opposite, his knee nudging hers. –I’m sorry.”

–You said,” she replied. –And there’s really nothing to apologise for, unless you asked Avery to attack us.”

–I mean for suggesting you weren’t upset. That wasn’t what I meant, but it came out wrong.”

–I hated it, you know,” she muttered, –but I knew it was the only way to get close enough to knee him where it hurts. And it was better than seeing you hexed and bleeding on the floor.”

–Smart move,” he replied, then repeated his apology.

–I don’t know why you keep apologising. It wasn’t your fault. You did give Avery the chance to walk away.”

–Next time I think I’ll hex him before he opens his mouth.” He edged closer, pleased when she didn’t move away and took one of her hands in his. –I was embarrassed,” he admitted, –about the whole glasses thing.”

–You landed a glorious punch on Snivelly,” she said, half-smiling, and caressed his bruised knuckles with her thumb. –And none of this would have happened if I hadn’t been so stupid as to drop my wand.”

–Perhaps we should both use Spello-tape,” he said, and tried a grin on her. –Might flatten my hair down a bit.”

She giggled, and slid closer. –You wouldn’t be James Potter with tidy hair.”


He touched her cheek with his hand, his fingers tracing the lips, which were still slightly puffy. –Did he hurt you?”

Casting her eyes down, Sonia turned her face away and stared at the carpet. –He pressed so hard, I could feel his teeth.”

There was a silence. He heard her breathing become more rapid, and pulled her towards him. –If I kiss you, is it going to hurt?”

–Hope not,” she whispered.


A while later, lying on top of his bed, James ran his hand down her side to rest on her waist. She was calm now, resting in his arms, kissing and letting him kiss her, all tears gone. But something was nagging at him.

–Can I ask you something?” he muttered, half-hoping she wouldn’t hear.

–Sounds serious,” she replied, and stopped stroking his arm.

–It’s about Bennett,” he started to say, then paused. –It’s okay, you don’t have to tell me, it’s only that Avery mentioned him, and ... uh ... Phyll said -”

–Phyll said what?” Her voice sharp.

–Just that he wasn’t a nice bloke, I suppose. She was warning me not to mess you around.”

–Julius is not nice, at all,” she said and sighed. –I thought he was fun to begin with, and Phyll and I had a laugh double-dating. Then they found out about that stupid trick last year, and ... Merlin ... he was so angry! I mean, they didn’t have to stay out with us, and it wasn’t really our fault they got caught and we didn’t.”

–So he finished with you ‘cause of that.” James felt like laughing. It all seemed so melodramatic. Julius was a prat, with a serious sense of humour failure, but hardly ‘evil’ as Phyll had implied.

–No, he finished with me because I wouldn’t ... uh ...” She blushed but carried on staring at James, then took a breath. –He wanted to go all the way, and I said no. He ... um ... tried to persuade me, by ... uh ... well, he said he’d tell everyone we’d done it anyway, so I might as well sleep with him. So then, when he tried it on again a bit more forcefully, I had to be a bit ... um ... forceful back.”


–Forceful?” he muttered into her hair.

–Let’s just say that Gus Avery isn’t the first boy I’ve kneed in the crotch.”

–Ah, I see.” Feeling uncomfortable, James shifted away from her, but Sonia smiled at him and snuggled closer.

–I feel safe with you,” she murmured.

–I didn’t help much tonight,” he mumbled. –But ... uh ... I wouldn’t try and make you do something you didn’t want to do.”

–I know,” she said simply, and ran her fingers through his hair and down the back of his neck.

James pulled her right up to him, kissing her softly on the lips. –Shall we go and get a late dinner? Show those gits we’re not beaten?”

–I’d rather stay here,” she said, –but it’s probably better if I’m not alone with you when the others get back.” As she pulled herself away from him, sitting on the edge of the bed and patting her hair back into place, she glanced over her shoulder at him. –Is it odd for you knowing I went out with Sirius?”

–A bit, I s’pose, but only at first,” he muttered, then stretched out his hand, touching the soft down of her cheek. –But he’s going out with Martha, so he’s not fussed. Could ask you the same thing about Phyll.”

She laughed ruefully. –Well, I’ve had to try and forget some of the things she told us when you two were together.” She started to smile and turned back to him. –I don’t expect Sirius has been exactly complimentary.”

James shrugged. –He doesn’t say much,” he replied.

–Liar,” she said, but she was still smiling, and started giggling when he pulled her back to the bed. –It’s okay, you know. I’m just pleased his opinion hasn’t put you off.”

He frowned at her. –What’s Phyll said about me that you have to forget?”

–Oh, nothing,” she said, a gurgling laugh emerging from her lips. –Although the words ‘giant squid’ and ‘tentacles’ might have been mentioned in the same sentence.” Then, as she raised her hands to his neck, she whispered, –I’m not complaining.”

He kissed her again, lying sideways across her, but keeping his hands very still.

–I said I wasn’t complaining,” she whispered and moved his hand to her waist, letting her own rest on his hip. James flinched, and startled, she removed her hand. –James, please go and see Madam Pomfrey.”

He shook his head. –Quidditch on Saturday. I’m not missing the game. Borgin has it coming.”


***


He didn’t have to be at the changing rooms so early, and the team weren’t due there for another hour, but James sat outside on the bench enjoying the last few days of the Indian Summer they were experiencing at Hogwarts. He’d called the team in for practise every night, but was now worried he was over-training them. McLaggen had certainly complained on Thursday, and although Martha had said nothing, he’d caught her rolling her eyes at Sirius.

Shifting slightly, he winced as his Quidditch robe rubbed against his skin. He knew now that the hex fired by Borgin had not left a superficial wound, but hadn’t dared go along to the hospital wing, knowing Madam Pomfrey was quite within her rights to invalid him out of the game. He tapped his pocket, feeling for the salve he was planning to use just before they stepped onto the pitch. Remus told him it would last about an hour, and after that, the pain would kick back in. He stretched, rolling his shoulders in an attempt to ease the tension, and then exhaled.

–Suffering from nerves, are you, Potter?”

–Adrenaline,” James replied, looking up at Professor Prewett. –Keeps me on my toes. You’re a bit early for the match, sir.”

–Fancied a walk and I always loved Quidditch days. Nothing like that feeling when you take to the air before the match begins.”

As James stood up, eager to stretch his legs, he thought he saw a figure in the distance. He craned his neck over the professor’s shoulder, narrowing his eyes, but if there had been someone there, they’d slipped into the forest and were gone now.


–Something bothering you?” Professor Prewett asked mildly.

James peered again at the trees, but could see nothing, and shook his head. He was paranoid - convinced every shadow was a Slytherin trying to attack. –Nope, it’s okay, sir. Unless ... um, sir, I keep having a problem with my glasses - they slip off sometimes and it’s not really good for ... uh ... my game, if I’m trying to hold them in place.”

The professor eyed him meditatively, perhaps not altogether believing the story, and his gaze drifted to James’ waist, which James was unconsciously rubbing with one hand.

–You could stick them on permanently,” he said seriously, then he grinned. –Not cool though. Tell me, Potter. Is this because they keep falling off, or has someone taken them?”

–Uh.” James felt his cheeks flood with colour and stared at the ground.

–I found Snape and Avery in the corridor on the fifth floor last week. Neither said a word, so I assume it wasn’t a one-sided attack, and Madam Pomfrey says she hasn’t seen anyone seeking treatment, either. But there were some long blonde hairs in Avery’s hand and I’ve seen you walking around Hogwarts with Miss Slattery.”

–They started it,” James muttered mutinously.

–You should have reported it!” the professor replied sternly. His tone softened. –I understand why you didn’t. You think it makes you look weak - it doesn’t; it just means you’re being responsib-”

–Snape Summoned my glasses, all right!” James snapped. –I couldn’t see a bloody thing, and he knows that. So how am I supposed to defend myself or anyone else when he can stop me so easily? ”

–Is that your only problem, Potter?”

–It’s my most pressing one, yes,” James replied, ignoring the stabbing pain in his side. –I can’t fly straight if my glasses are taken.”

The professor smiled. –Then as a former Gryffindor I feel it’s my duty to give you a little help. Take your glasses off.”

James complied and held them out to Professor Prewett, but he shook his head.

–There’s an Anti-Summoning Charm you can use, but you have to cast it.”

–Oh, cool. What’s the incantation?”

–It’s Accio-Contrato,” the professor replied. –Most wizards don’t bother with it because Accio is so useful and they hate losing things. Casting this will mean you can’t Summon them yourself, but neither can anyone else. It also wears off after a while, so don’t get complacent and think it’ll work permanently.”

–What’s the wand movement?”James asked.

The professor pulled out his own wand, then circled the glasses three times with his wand tip. –Make sure you speak the incantation while waving your wand in a clockwise direction.”

Concentrating hard, James followed the instructions, hesitating only when he needed to speak. –Accio-Contrato!” he murmured, and watched intensely as a wispy grey thread appeared from his wand tip and wrapped around his glasses, making them shimmer. Then, placing the glasses on the bench, James stood up, took several steps back and tried to Summon them.

They didn’t move. James grinned. –Sir, that is so cool. Thank you.”

Standing up, Professor Prewett started to walk away, pausing only to clap James on the shoulder. –I’ll leave you to ponder your team talk. Just make sure you get them fired up. And one last thing, Potter,” James stared at him, stung by the warning note in his voice, –Your team are looking for leadership - not revenge.”


In the air, in the maelstrom of the match, James didn’t heed the professor’s words, especially as it soon became apparent that the Slytherins were in this game to cause as much harm as they could. They were an all-male team, and, apart from Regulus, they were big, strong, and not averse to using that to their advantage. It didn’t help that Madam Hooch had been taken ill, and that the last minute replacement of Professor Barwick was a disaster. The Divination professor could fly, but had no real idea about the rules and kept getting distracted by the Seekers as they searched for the Snitch. It was only because Mary and Lysander were swift flyers that they escaped serious injury, as the Slytherins decided not to trust to Bludgers alone and Blatched every time the referee had his back turned. Unfortunately, it also meant they were marked out of the game and had precious few opportunities to score.

In his team talk, James had told Preston and Carla to focus on the Chasers. He hadn’t been specific, largely because he wanted to deal with Borgin himself, and had elected to hound him through the game. But he’d proved elusive and their Beaters were using every opportunity to hurl the Bludgers in James’ direction.

–Potter, we need to get a grip on this game!” yelled Preston, as Borgin sent a Quaffle through the hoops, making the score a pitiful twenty-ten to the Slytherins. –This is messy.”

–Early days,” said James through gritted teeth. –Keep whacking those Bludgers at them.”

–At who?” shouted Carla. –You said the Chasers, but we have to protect Martha, as well.”

–She’s fi- Oh, shit!” James gasped as he saw a Bludger hit Martha’s broom, splitting the handle and causing her to spiral downwards. But she steadied herself, and continued to scan the skies.

James rapidly assessed the situation. The Slytherins were clearly out to cause as much damage as possible. He wasn’t even sure they were bothered about the game, as Regulus seemed intent on causing injury, too. Gryffindor’s best chance lay with the Chasers’ speed and Martha’s skill.

–Carla, protect Martha,” he ordered. –Preston, take out their Beaters, and anyone else.”

–And you, Potter? What are you going to do?”

–Unsettle the bastards,” he snarled, and turning on his broom, he streaked across the pitch towards Borgin, swooping around him in an attempt to make him drop the Quaffle.

–Fancy your chances, do you, Borgin?”

–Your girlfriend can’t save you now, Potter,” Borgin spat.

James hid a grimace. –And up here, you can’t hide behind Avery, so I think it’s time I taught you a lesson - one on one.”

Borgin licked his lips, still trying to find a way past James, his eyes flicking from side to side. With the Quaffle in his hand, he was searching for a teammate, but to James’ relief, Lysander was now marking Montague, and Preston had diverted a Bludger towards the usually benign Greengrass. Out of the corner of his eye, James saw Mary escape and flick underneath him. That decided him. With no thought for his safety, James flew directly at Borgin, yelling his fury. Borgin swerved away, jerking his broom around and in his panic, the Quaffle slid from his hands. Mary scooped it up and jinked her way through the sky, tearing past a Slytherin Beater and towards the hoops.

James followed, scooting towards her in case she needed support. His side was aching now, the nerve endings of his skin tingling painfully, and he knew he’d gone way past the hour where the salve would work. And as he cheered, raising his hands in a clenched salute as Mary scored, he felt the wound tear open again.

–Come on, James, we can do this!” screamed Mary. Then she slowed and he saw the expression on her face change from one of elation to horror.

She became a blur, all James could see, all he could feel, was the rush of air past his ears as he lurched sideways. Mary clutched at him, signalling to Professor Barwick, who flew directly to him.

–What’s wrong, Potter?” she asked.

–Bludger got me,” he lied. –I’ll be fine. Let me call a time out.”

As Professor Barwick nodded and set the whistle to his lips, a roar erupted from the crowd. James looked up into the sky and grinned. Martha, one hand held aloft, looking flushed and exhausted, but incredibly pleased, had done her job. –That’s my girl,” he crowed, and then slumped to the side.

–Potter, do you need medical attention?” asked Professor Barwick.


Gripping onto his broom shaft and trying not to groan. James focussed on the referee. If it had been Madam Hooch in front of him, then he wouldn’t have got away with it, but Barwick was clueless.

–I need to celebrate with my team, sir,” he said, forcing a light tone in his voice. But as Barwick nodded and then flew off to commiserate with the Slytherin captain, he turned to Mary, whispering, –Guide me to the ground, will you? Just make it look as if we’re celebrating, yeah.”

Nodding, Mary placed her hand under his shoulders, and fixed a smile on her face. James let out a whoop and punched the air, but he could feel blood now leeching into his robes, and his forehead was clammy. Carefully, but with some speed, they descended to the ground, James holding Mary in a clinch when they landed. He could feel his legs buckling, and leaned on her heavily.

–Oy, that’s my girlfriend!” Remus chided. He had a smile on his face as he ran towards them, but it faltered when he caught sight of James. –This isn’t a normal reaction to a hex. You need to see Madam Pomfrey.”

–What, and let Borgin know he hurt me?” James retorted. He took a breath, then glared at Remus. –Cast a Healing Charm around me. I need just enough time to make this look good, then you can take me back to the dorm.”

Reluctantly, Remus twitched his wand and cast the Healing Charm non-verbally. James felt his side go numb and released a pent up breath. –Thank you.” he muttered, then started to smile as Sonia ran towards him.

–You won! You won!” she squealed.

–Yeah,” he murmured and held out his arms to her. They had won, but it hadn’t been down to him. Martha had won the match for Gryffindor, and he now had a whole lot more to prove.
End Notes:
reviewwwwwwww - pleeeasssseeee. It does encourage me - promise!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81131