Too Good To Be Fake by way 2 HP obsesed
Summary: Two days after the battle of Hogwarts, Harry, Ron and Hermione are wondering what is going to happen. The wizarding world is being rebuilt and so are relationships...Ginny has not seen Harry for almost a year and now they have all the time in the world to spend with one another. But can they just pick up where they left off? Will all be forgiven and forgotten or will the trio go their separate ways?
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 15701 Read: 41119 Published: 10/27/08 Updated: 12/08/15
Story Notes:
This is our first story so be nice!

1. Chapter 1- Sorting Things Out by way 2 HP obsesed

2. Chapter 2- Back to the Burrow by way 2 HP obsesed

3. Chapter 3-Together and Apart by way 2 HP obsesed

4. Chapter 4- Thoughts and Fights by way 2 HP obsesed

5. Chapter 5 - Return of the Princess by way 2 HP obsesed

6. Chapter 6 - Birthday Trouble by way 2 HP obsesed

7. Chapter 7 - Birthday Traditions by way 2 HP obsesed

8. Chapter 8 - Changing Tides by way 2 HP obsesed

9. Chapter 9 - Breaking Down and Falling Down by way 2 HP obsesed

Chapter 1- Sorting Things Out by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer- I do not own Harry Potter, or any of its wonderfulness. My idol J.K., does!
* * *

It was two days after the Battle of Hogwarts. Harry lay awake on his old four-poster bed, in his old dormitory. Ron lay on the bed next to him with, to his great displeasure, Percy. George and Charlie were both lying on cots that had been brought into the dormitory. Neville, Dean, and Seamus were all in their own beds.

Harry wondered if they too, were lying awake wondering what was going to happen. Voldemort had been defeated only forty-eight hours ago and all the known Death Eaters had been captured and put in Azkaban, which was now under the control of Aurors and some trust-worthy giants. The dementors had been imprisoned in a new prison that kept them from feeding on happiness. The walls were partially made out of an ongoing patronus charm, one of the ministry's more brilliant ideas.

Harry got out of bed even though it was quite early. Not wanting to wake the others Harry picked his way slowly through the jumble of brooms, clothes, and food that lay on the floor. The house elves had not come in to clean since the battle, and no one had dared call one in while Ron and Hermione were nearby.

When Harry got to the door he looked back at the sleeping Gryffindors and Weasley's. His eyes lingering on George who Harry knew was in terrible pain. Fred's death was painful for the entire family, but Harry knew that to no one was it worse felt then George.

Harry walked down the steps and saw, to his great surprise, Hermione and Ginny sitting by the fire whispering.

"Er…I don't mean to intrude," said Harry stopping abruptly at the bottom of the stairs. Hermione and Ginny both looked his way, Ginny mumbled something and turned away but Hermione gestured for him to join them.

"We were just talking with Ginny's mum and dad, before they left, they said that we should all go back to the burrow and sort some things out," Hermione informed Harry as he sat down.

Harry nodded numbly and looked at his knees, he knew that "sorting things out" would involve Fred's funeral, and he wasn't sure he was ready for that yet.

"When are we leaving?" Harry asked still not looking at Hermione.

"We are going to take a portkey home right after everyone gets up. We're going to leave from McGonagall's office," said Ginny, looking at Harry with her dark brown eyes, that were, at this moment, swimming with tears.

"I'm really sorry Ginny," said Harry quietly, now staring at the fire. He stood up and walked toward the stairs to the boy's dormitory.

"Wait, Harry I am not blaming you, this is in no way your fault," Ginny said, standing up.

Harry turned toward her, "If I had given myself up sooner none of this would have happened."

"Oh shut up, I can't stand you always blaming yourself for things you don't do." Ginny said, riled up at once, "You killed Voldemort! Can't you just be proud of yourself with everyone else for once?"

Harry stared at her dumbfounded; he couldn't believe she had shouted at him like that. It was the first time in two days that she had talked to him, and he had not expected this sort of reaction. He was surprised Hermione was still sitting there, not bothering to say anything.

"Harry, I am really sorry that you don't see how great you are," Ginny said through gritted teeth, "but I really don't want to fight and I think I might just scream if you don't get a grip and leave the blame for the ones who deserve it."

Ginny walked past Harry, glaring at him, and straight up the girl's staircase. Harry looked incredulously at Hermione, who just shrugged and sighed.

"I think that she is right, you know." Hermione said finally, "You do tend to blame yourself for things that aren't your fault."

"What! Not you too!" Harry said, exasperated. Having more people praise him for saving the wizarding world was the last thing he needed.

"Well, yes, me too," Hermione said calmly getting up from an armchair, "Just stop saying sorry and comfort Ginny, you know how she's feeling." Hermione gave Harry a meaningful look as she walked pass him toward the girl's stair case.

"I think you should go wake the others it is about time to go," she called over her shoulder.

Harry walked slowly back up the stairs and back into his old dormitory. He really needed to read that book Ron had given him for his birthday last year. Girls were so hard to understand sometimes.

George, Dean, and Percy were waking up. Harry noticed that George's eyes were blood shot, but looked quickly away before George saw him starring.

"Hermione and Ginny said we are leaving to the burrow," Harry said to George and Percy.

"Good, I haven't been home for a while," Percy said. And Harry couldn't help but smile to himself; Percy had walked out on the rest of his family almost three years ago and as far as Harry knew, hadn't been there since.

Harry walked over to Ron's bed and nudged him slightly. "Ron, time to get up, we're leaving"

Percy, George, and Charlie gathered their things and headed down the stairs. Harry picked up his wand and rucksack off the floor and said goodbye to Dean, Seamus, and Neville while Ron got dressed.

"Come visit any time Harry," said Neville a sad look face. "Gran will want to thank you for all you have done…with…you know…"

"Yeah, come by anytime," said Dean, while Seamus nodded fervently at his side. "I don't know when I'll see you again otherwise. Who knows what is going to happen to the school."

"I really hope it does reopen, I didn't get much learning done this year, and it will be so much better coming back with Snape and the Carrows gone," Neville added solemnly. Harry said nothing but nodded again.

Harry and Ron went down the stairs and into the common room to find Hermione, Ginny, Bill, Fleur, George, Percy, and Charlie all waiting for them. Without speaking they climbed one after another through the portrait hole and started walking towards Professor McGonagall's office. Ginny was staying as far away from Harry as she could, and Harry felt terrible.

When they reached the correct door, Charlie knocked, and McGonagall opened it from within and beckoned them inside.

"I have been talking to Kingsly Shaklebolt, the temporary Minister of Magic," McGonagall said once they were all seated or else standing around her desk, "and we both agree that the school ought to be reopened. Do not ask me when…we don't know, but we have to wait until all repairs are done." She gestured to the window where they could see teachers and students alike, working on a section of the great hall.

"I know you all would like to get home and have some rest, but I have one last thing to tell you all." She paused here and looked meaningfully at Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. "If the school does reopen in time for next year, I would highly recommend you four coming back to study with us."

Ron started to open his mouth to argue, but stopped at the look on Hermione's face. Harry knew that Ron did not want to face the prospect of spending a year at Hogwarts in the same year as Ginny.

"Before you say anything, I would just like to remind you that you really need to complete your N.E.W.T's before even considering working for the ministry," McGonagall said staring straight at Ron.

"This is, as I say, all up in the air for now, as we don't even know if Hogwarts will be ready to accept students by the end of the summer. I would just like you all to consider my words before continuing on with the rest of your lives." She smiled slightly at Harry and then continued addressing Ron.

"You will be notified as soon as possible with the updates on the schools progress. Until then, I would advise you all to take some well-deserved rest!”

She held out a paperback school book and they all crowded around and put a finger on it. In a rush of wind and color Harry and the Weaslys zoomed off back to the burrow.
End Notes:
I know not much has happened, but don't worry, it will! I have several more chapters already written! Please review!
Chapter 2- Back to the Burrow by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: JK owns Harry Potter, not me! (Though I wish I did!)
* * *

The next few days passed in a haze of tears and sorrow. The Burrow was bursting with emotion, and Harry was aching to get out of the house for a while.

Fred, Lupin, and Tonk's funerals had taken place the previous day. Harry had spoken at all three of them, finding himself choked up each time. He could never remember feeling more heartbroken than the moment he stood in front of his loved one's caskets and saw all the people effected by Voldemort's terror in his last few hours of life. Harry was affected most of all by little Teddy Lupin, sitting silently on his grandmother's lap in the front row. Another orphan who would never truly know what amazing people his parents had been.

The day before, right after the funeral, Hermione had left for Australia to find her parents. She was very worried that something might have happened to them, but she assured everyone that when she got news, she would send word immediately.

Harry got up, trying hard not to wake Ron who was sleeping restlessly in the bed next to him. Harry was, of course, staying in Ron's room at the Burrow since George had needed his room back. "Just like old times," joked Ron. Harry changed into a t-shirt and jeans and left the room.

It was still early so Harry did not expect anyone else to be awake yet. He was therefore surprised to see both Percy and Ginny in the kitchen when he got there.

"Oh Harry, you're up!" Percy declared, spotting Harry standing awkwardly by the door. "Good, Ginny and I were just talking. I have decided to help George at the shop for the time being since I no longer have a job at the Ministry."

"Er, great," Harry mumbled, privately thinking that George would rather work with Lee Jordan or one of his other friends instead of his pompous older brother.

"Well, I'm off to see how things are at the shop. Got to open it back up now that the war is over," Percy announced, –life can’t sit still forever!” He picked up his dragon skin briefcase and marched out the door, leaving Harry and Ginny quite uncomfortably alone.

"Is Percy really going to work with George?" Harry asked Ginny as he sat down at the table.

"Yeah… I wonder how long that is going to last," Ginny replied, a slight smile on her face.

Harry looked down at his hands, folded in his lap and tried to think of something else to say. This had been the first time he had been alone with Ginny since the battle and he wasn’t really sure how to talk to her anymore.

"I've been thinking," Harry started. "I have been intruding on your family for too long, and I think it's about time I found a place of my own. Now that I am done living with the Dursleys, and I am of age. I was thinking of moving into Number Twelve Grimmauld Place-"

"So that's it, is it?" interrupted Ginny rather coolly, her voice rising. "You've got this all planned out, have you? You are just going to pick up and leave me here… AGAIN?"

Harry looked at her in complete shock. "Ginny… I… I had to leave you last time…"

"No, you didn't! You took Ron and Hermione, didn't you? You could have at least told me where you were going, or when you would be coming back, but no…"she shouted in a sarcastic voice, very angry now.

"That's not what happened," Harry broke in, trying his hardest to stay calm.

"Yes, it was. You just dumped me here, not caring at all what happened to me!" There were tears in her eyes now.

"Ginny-" Harry started but Ginny interrupted him again, shouting now.

"And then you come back, and we were all fighting Voldemort. And you just gave yourself over to the Death Eaters! All those lives we were fighting for, and you just decide to take the easy way out and leave us here to die!"

"That's enough!" Harry spoke fiercely, on his feet now too. "I gave myself up because that was the only way to end the war! You don't think that it was hard for me to leave, knowing that I would never be coming back, never be able to see you again-?" He faltered and caught his breath, then continued more calmly, "It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Do you know how much I missed you this past year? Of course I cared about you. I cared for you and your future, more than I did for my own life. I still do."

Ginny stood stunned for a few seconds, then flung herself on Harry and started crying harder than ever. Harry smoothed the back of her head, running his hands through her long red hair.

"I just missed you… so… so much!" she wailed between sobs. "I was so worried I'd never see you again. I thought I saw you dead once. I don't ever want to see that again!"

Harry kissed her gently on the top of her head. She pulled away from him slightly and looked up into his emerald green eyes. Then she grabbed his face and kissed him full on the lips for just a moment. Her eyes widened when she realized what she was doing, and she ran from the room up the stairs. A few seconds later, Harry heard her door slam.

He remained standing in the middle of the kitchen, now stunned himself. After a while, he shook his head to clear it and walked back up towards Ron's room.

On the first floor landing, he saw that Ginny's bedroom door was indeed shut. He sighed and proceeded up to the top floor of the house.

He walked into Ron's room in a slight daze. Ron was, amazingly, still asleep, even though Ginny and Harry had been shouting. Harry smiled slightly; whatever happened, Ron would always be the same loyal person he had met on the Hogwarts Express his first year. Some things never change.

Half an hour later, Harry was finished packing. His rucksack and birthday presents from the previous year were stacked by the door. As he no longer had an owl or broom, his load was a fair amount lighter than usual.

He could hear people moving around in the kitchen. Thinking that it was probably time for breakfast, he started to walk down the stairs.

Sure enough, he had only gone a few steps when he bumped into Mrs. Weasley, who was coming up.

"Oh, Harry dear, breakfast is almost ready. Would you mind waking Ron up for me?" she asked.

Harry nodded and turned to ascend the stairs yet again. He went back into Ron's room and walked over to his best friend.

"Your mum says it's time for breakfast, Ron."

Ron grunted and rolled over, squeezing his eyes shut even tighter, as though he was trying to keep the sleep inside.

"Oi! Wake up!" Harry yelled, thumping Ron on the back.

"Jeez, you don't have to hit me, mate!" Ron muttered groggily, finally sitting up. "What time is it?"

"Almost nine," said Harry, thinking that he really needed to get a move on if he was going to leave for Grimmauld Place today.

Harry waited while Ron got dressed. He wondered how he was going to explain to Ron that he and Ginny might still want a future together. If that was even what she wanted… Harry wasn't even sure himself.
End Notes:
Please Read and Review!
Chapter 3-Together and Apart by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, JK Rowling does. (Though I wish I did)
* * *

"So, I was thinking we could all tackle the garden today," Mrs. Weasley announced when Harry and Ron trooped back down to the kitchen, where a tired looking Ginny was seated once more.

"I think if we all put in a good hard effort," Mrs. Weasley shot a glare at Ron, who was staring down at his shoe with a defiant look on his face, "we will be able to finish weeding by supper."

She had been working the three of them harder than ever the past few days, in an effort to put their minds on something other than their sorrow. The house had never looked so clean.

"Harry, dear, why do you have your things packed?" she said suddenly, noticing Harry's rucksack in his hand. "You aren't going anywhere, are you?"

"Er…well, I just thought…I've been a bit of a burden…and I really should…," Harry stammered; now determinately examining his shoe. He knew this was going to be a difficult battle, and Ron's suspicious stares weren't helping things. Ginny was determinately not looking at him, dreading what she knew he was about to say.

"Don't be thick, mate!" said Ron, "You know you're not a burden, and we need you here more than ever…" he glanced at Ginny meaningfully. –Harry, you can't leave, not after everything we've been going through the past few weeks. We all need to stick together," Ron looked unblinkingly at Harry. Mrs. Weasley and Ginny just stared at the two boys.

Harry stared back slightly surprised. In all his years of knowing him, Ron had never stood up to him so determinedly.

"I'm not trying to be thick, and I'm not trying to let you down," said Harry evenly. "It's just…I want to spend a little time on my own…think about things…," he swallowed and glanced nervously at Ginny. "I was thinking about living at Grimmauld Place, you know, now that it's mine and I don't have to go back to the Dursley's."

"Harry, are you sure?" Mrs. Weasley asked after a moment's silence. "We won't stop you leaving," Ginny looked like she didn't agree, "But you don't have to go through this pain alone." She crossed the kitchen and put her hand on Harry's shoulder, "We're here for you, you know," she said motherly.

Harry was touched by her comment, but he had to stand his ground. "I know, but I think I'd like to go to Grimmauld Place, if only for a few days. I'll come visit, I promise."

He smiled and hugged Mrs. Weasley, then somewhat awkwardly embraced Ron with one arm. Ginny stood up to say goodbye, and Harry gave her a quick hug that he wished would have lasted forever. He gave her a slight smile, noticing that her eyes were glazed with tears again. She did not smile in return, but turned away at once and climbed the stairs to her room rather quickly.

Harry stared after her and then he too turned and walked out into the front yard of the Burrow. He closed his eyes and turned on the spot, disapparating to his new home.


The next few days were quiet for Harry. He had unpacked upon arriving at Grimmauld Place and had been enjoying the delicious cooking of Kreacher, the house elf. Harry spent most of his time wandering the streets of nearby villages, every now and then coming across a witch or wizard who would cry out his name and rush over to thank him or ask for his autograph. Harry found these incidents incredibly embarrassing and increasingly irritating; didn't these people know he just wanted to be left alone? At least the Weasley's were letting him have his privacy; they hadn't tried to convince him to return since he left. Harry's mind wandered to the previous day, where he had stopped to visit Ron for a few hours.

Flashback

"Harry! We didn't expect to see you back so soon!" cried Mrs. Weasley, rushing to the door to hug Harry when he entered the steamy kitchen late in the afternoon.

"I'm not back for good," Harry said firmly, "I just wanted to visit Ron. Where is he?"

"Oh,” her face fell for a moment, but she recovered quickly, "He's with George at the shop."

"Oh, well, I guess I'll have to come back again to see him," said Harry, disappointed.

"Do stay for some early supper, will you?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"Of course, I could never refuse your cooking," Harry grinned and sat down at the table while Mrs. Weasley busied herself with stew and bread.

"Oh, well, I guess I'll get going then," said Harry after two bowls of stew and three thick pieces of homemade bread, "Tell Ron I was here, won’t you?"

"Yes, yes dear, of course," Mrs. Weasley said. She walked Harry back to the door and waved after him as he walked back up the pathway.

Harry had only walked a few steps when he noticed Ginny sitting beneath an elm near the side of the house. He made to disapperate in an attempt to leave before she had a chance to see him, but she had already stood up and started towards him.

Oh no, I'm in for it now, thought Harry, thinking of her reaction after he told her he was leaving days pervious.

"Hi," Ginny said quietly the moment she reached him.

"Hi," said Harry.

"How've you been?" she asked.

"Fine, been pretty quiet, you know," he said.

"It's been quiet here too, without you," she spoke even softer, moving a bit closer.

"Oh, er…I really need to be getting back, though…" said Harry, trying to think of an excuse to leave the uncomfortable situation.

"I've really missed you, Harry," she whispered, and then her face was on his, and he wasn't pulling away. He kissed her back and breathed in the sweet smell of the hair he had missed so much over the past year. She kissed him deeper, and he never wanted to let her go…

"Oi! What are you doing!" said a voice from behind him. Harry and Ginny jumped apart to find Ron, George, and Percy all goggling at them. Ginny went pink and Harry went scarlet.

"Oh, er…hi, ah, Ron. Nice to see you, and you, George and Percy," Harry said very quickly. Neither George nor Percy said anything.

"Well, then, I think Harry needs to get back to Grimmauld Place, don't you, Harry?" Ginny said loudly, nudging Harry in the side with the hand that had seconds before been intertwined in his hair.

"Yah, I'll just be going now, so…see ya," Harry said awkwardly, and waved to Ginny before diapparating, though not before he heard Ron begin shouting.

End of Flashback

The third day away from the burrow, Harry was walking down the street of a muggle town not far from Diagon Alley when a small shop caught his eye. It was a jewelry boutique with a plain show window displaying golden necklaces and jeweled rings. Harry walked toward the shop and entered through the plain wooden door. Inside was two small walls of jewelry and a counter behind which stood a middle aged woman draped in a crocheted shawl. She smiled at Harry and continued typing something on her computer. Harry smiled back at began to browse the shelves. The jewelry came in all types, shapes, and sizes. Harry was about to leave when his eyes fell on a delicate necklace in the far corner. He crossed the shop and picked it up to examine it.

It was a simple chain, with little golden hearts linked together. A green emerald was set into a beautiful golden heart-shaped pendent. On the back of the heart, in tiny looping writing were the words, "Together and Apart."

Harry read the inscription and knew who this was meant for. He brought the necklace up to the counter, paid for it in muggle currency, and had it wrapped in a silk box. He left the shop feeling hopeful. He would find a moment to give his gift to Ginny someday soon, he was sure.
End Notes:
Thanks again to all my wonderful reviewers and fans! The next chapter will be up as soon as possible. PLEASE tell me what you think and check out my bio for more info on updates.
Chapter 4- Thoughts and Fights by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or any speck of the Harry Potter world.
* * *

"Actually, I think I am going out for lunch today, but thanks again Kreacher."

"Not at all Master" Kreacher said, bowing as he left the dining room and headed back to the kitchen.

It had been two weeks since Harry had started living at Number Twelve Grimmauld Place and the place was almost unrecognizable from the gloomy headquarters it had been over two years ago. Kreacher was, of course, doing his best to make the place more livable, and Harry was trying to finish Sirius's work of removing everything dark about the house. The first step had been to get rid of all the serpent furniture and Slytherin hangings. They were replaced by nice, new furniture and hangings of red, gold, yellow, black, blue, and silver, for the other Hogwarts houses.

Harry had moved back into the room that he and Ron had shared when they had stayed there in the summer of their fifth year. The other bedrooms were all redecorated and were now just waiting to be filled. If only Kreacher would stop referring to Harry as –Master” all the time, then everything would be perfect.

Harry and Ron had plans to meet up for lunch that day at the Leaky Cauldron and Harry was hoping to ask Ron if he wanted to move into the house with him. It was very lonely with only Kreacher and Harry living there and Harry was used to having Ron nearby whether at the burrow or at Hogwarts. It was true that Ron only lived an apparition away but Harry did want to fill the empty house. Harry also wanted to keep an eye on Ron, who was getting exceedingly more worried and depressed because Hermione had not written to them in days.

The last time they had heard from her had been a little over a week ago when she sent a short letter by brown owl:

Dear Harry and Ron,

I have not found my parents yet but it shouldn't be long now. I have asked around and found out from their neighbors that they had left to go exploring about a month ago. I have gathered from asking more people that they went on a search to find some ancient aboriginal dwellings. I really hope to find them soon, and will send word when I do.

Love from,

Hermione

Harry could tell from the letter that she was very worried and ever since he had shown the letter to Ron he had been acting very strange, talking less and less and becoming more and more edgy.

He had also noticed a distinct change in Ron, George, and Percy's attitudes toward him since his scene with Ginny under the elm tree. George and Percy had been giving him cold looks and Ron had made sure Ginny was always conveniently gone from the Burrow when he invited Harry over, something that annoyed Harry very much. No doubt they were all acting this way because they thought Harry was just messing with Ginny, which was the farthest from the truth. Harry had deep feelings for Ginny that he hoped he could one day prove to her. This was turning out to be harder to do than Harry had originally planned.

He had been trying to corner Ginny and talk to her about their relationship, but he found Ginny avoiding him during the little time they were both at the Burrow together. Harry suspected that she and Ron had had quite a shouting match after Harry had escaped the escalating scene two weeks previous.

Harry hoped that Ron's mood would change if he was living with Harry and then maybe he could explain to Ron about himself and Ginny. In any case Harry thought it would be best if Ron was kept close by to keep from doing something drastic while lost in worry over Hermione.

On the other hand, Harry thought as he stepped into the fireplace in the kitchen, if Ron was living at Grimmauld Place and Harry did manage to convince him that he and Ginny would be a good couple then Ginny would never be able to visit Harry while Ron was there.

But, then again, Harry thought as he walked down Diagon Ally toward Quality Quidditch Supplies to meet Ron, maybe he will understand. Especially if Hermione gets back soon…

But he also had to consider- no! He was defiantly over thinking this! Harry thought finally; Ron was bound to forgive him.

Ron was waiting outside the Quidditch store looking longingly at the bright new pair of Chuddly Cannon keeper gloves displayed there, but glared at Harry when he noticed him standing a few feet away.

"Hey there's no need to look at me like that, I haven't done anything wrong." Harry said defensively.

"Nothing wrong!" said Ron heatedly at once, "I saw you kissing my sister after I distinctively remember you ditching her last summer."

"I—," Harry started but once again Ron was quick to cut in.

"And then you just left her to worry all last year and Fred, George, Charlie, Bill, and mum and dad had to try and comfort her while we were off destroying Horcruxes and now you think it is okay to start snogging her in public?"

"It wasn't in public-," Harry tried again. But Ron wasn't listening instead he pulled back his fist and punched Harry in the stomach.

"Ron! What do you think you’re doing?" came George’s voice as he ran out of his shop a few doors down. "I’ve got customers asking why my brother is beating up the world’s hero in the middle of the street!"

"I am teaching this scum what happens when he messes with our family!"

George now looked at Harry who was lying on the ground at their feet, completely winded. "Oh! Well in that case…want a little added help?" George asked Ron, looking hatefully at Harry.

"No that's okay" Ron said, some of his anger residing as he stared down at Harry who was just starting to get up. "I think I can take it from here."

George went back into his shop and Ron waited for Harry to get up. When he did manage to stand Harry retreated away from Ron a few paces, out of arms reach.

"Ron, you know I didn't want break up with her. Besides, I was going to ask her to go out with me again, but then you and George and Percy interrupted and I thought it better to leave right then." Harry said quickly, before Ron could shout anymore.

Ron was still looking heated, but said in a far calmer voice, "I know Harry it's just hard. She's my only sister and I don’t want to see her being played around with, no matter who it is.”

"I know you don’t. But come on, do you really think that I would just go out with her for…for her looks…or something," Harry finished awkwardly.

"Yeah, I suppose if someone has to go out with her, you would probably be the best…" Ron said, his words trailing off into nothingness.

"Listen mate, I really do care about your sister…why don’t we just…just, get some food or something…" Harry responded rather quietly, also trailing off.

"Yeah, I’m sorry mate, guess I just got a little carried away…didn't mean to attack you like that."

Harry and Ron walked down the street, still a bit awkwardly. It started to drizzle a little so they picked up their pace as they approached the bar. When they entered the Leaky Cauldron Harry saw Percy sitting alone at the back of the room.

Harry looked at Ron indignantly, "You had Percy wait for you? What, thought you might need backup if you decided to yell at me here?"

"Yeah, well…I didn't know it would be that easy." Ron said, smiling slightly, "What if you had tried to fight back? Doesn't matter anyway…the plan was to wait till we got here to speak with you but I just sort of ceased the opportunity back out there."

Harry shook his head at Ron, and then smiled, "Doesn’t matter, as long as we are good now… we are, aren't we?"

"Okay, yeah we are," Ron said assuringly.

Harry and Ron made their way over to Percy, the latter standing up at once and pulling his wand out for good measure.

"No need Perce," Ron said as he sat down at the table. "I've had, uh…words with him." Then, urged by a menacing look from Harry, Ron added, "Turns out Harry had kind of made up with Ginny when they were…you know…back at the Burrow, at least they were until we butted in."

"Oh well, that's a bit better, I suppose. If you don’t need me then, I best be off to see how George is doing," Percy said as he got up to leave. "Just be careful Potter, one wrong move and I'll make sure you pay. Don't you do anything with our sister that we wouldn't want, if you know what I mean?"

As Percy left Harry sighed and looked down at his hands. "It's never going to stop, is it Ron?" Harry asked, looking at Percy's retreating back.

"Oh, don't worry. I'll talk to him and George, make sure they don't do anything to you. But, I would be careful, Percy has only just rejoined this family, and God knows what he would do if something happened to his baby sister. And George, well…with Fred gone, I think he is especially worried about anything happening to the rest of us."

Seeing that Harry was still looking worried, Ron added, "Let's just leave it at that, now what was it that you were going to tell me?"

"Right!" said Harry, his mind snapping back to why he had come into Diagon Ally in the first place. "I was wondering if you, and Hermione when she gets back, wanted to move into Grimmauld Place. You know, it's quite lonely with only Kreacher for company, and I just thought that…"

Harry was cut short by Ron jumping up and shouting at the top of his voice, "ME? LIVE WITH YOU? IN YOUR HUGE HOUSE! WITH A HOUSE ELF AND HERMIONE! ARE YOU JOKING? OF COURSE I WANT TO! I NEED TO GET MY STUFF! WHEN CAN I MOVE IN?"

Harry grinned, and started filling Ron in on moving plans. He was surprised, but happy all the same. Ron and Hermione, his two best friends were going to live in his house. He wasn't going to be lonely anymore, and he would have someone to talk to all the time. If only things with Ginny were this perfect…
End Notes:
Thanks again for all the reviews and reads! It really makes my day to see that people enjoy my writing. Please tell me what you think and remember to check the bio for updates!
Chapter 5 - Return of the Princess by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own even a tiny piece of the Harry Potter world! (But I wish I did)

Hello there readers! It has been over 6 years since I last updated this story (but that's okay right? RIGHT?!) Hope you enjoy!

* * *

Harry and Ron finished their meal at the Leaky Cauldron and bade each other farewell. Ron had delightedly agreed to move into Grimmauld Place with Harry the next day, once he had cleared the idea with his family. Ron set off for the Burrow and Harry headed off to Madam Malkin's to pick up some new robes, as his old ones were getting a bit dingy. He had only taken a few steps when he bumped into a man in a green cloak and almost fell over. He steadied himself and looked around to see who had so rudely jostled him. It was Draco Malfoy.

"Well, well, if it isn't the famous Harry Potter," Malfoy drawled. Yet it was not his normal, malicious tone. It sounded to Harry as though Malfoy was having trouble making his voice full of its usual hatred.

"Yes, I am allowed to walk freely, Malfoy," Harry said calmly, bringing himself up to his fullest height. "Unlike some people we both know."

It was obvious Malfoy had not expected Harry to know of the recent capture and imprisonment of Lucius Malfoy, Draco's Death Eater father. Malfoy stiffened. "I am perfectly aware of your freedoms, Potter, and I would like you to know I am sure my father will be out of Azkaban soon enough."

"Ah, but Malfoy, you are forgetting there is a new minister now. No more bribery or sneaking, just justice. And there are no longer dementors guarding the prison to let Death Eaters escape. Kingsley made sure of that."

Malfoy seemed to be struggling to keep himself from running at Harry and strangling him, but at last he spoke in a voice of forced calm. "Potter, my mother would like to invite you over to tea sometime. She would like to thank you, for, er…" he was red in the face now and looking down at his feet, "helping to bring peace at last."

Harry stared blankly at Malfoy for a moment. Had he really just been asked to tea by the Malfoys? Was it possible that they actually were glad he had killed Voldemort, their master? He coughed and looked into Malfoy's eyes. "Uh, sure. What time, then?"

"Oh." Malfoy looked shocked that Harry had accepted the invite. "Um, I’ll ask my mum and she’ll send an owl for you."

"Right, see you then," Harry said awkwardly.

"Yes, see you then," Malfoy agreed and he quickly turned and headed back down the street, leaving Harry standing dumbstruck. He slowly started back towards Madam Malkin's, but this time his mind was not on robe sizes.

Why had the Malfoys invited him for tea? Why had he agreed? The truth was that there had been something in Malfoy's eyes when he looked at Harry that told him this wasn't a trick. There was something Harry had never seen in Malfoy before. That something was respect.

Ron moved into Grimmauld Place the following afternoon and had a great time unpacking and decorating his walls with Chuddly Cannon posters. He was just as shocked at Malfoy’s invitation as Harry was, yet he was even more astounded that Harry had said yes.

"But, mate, he could just be trying to corner you and do you in for ruining his dad's life! How can you trust him?"

Harry had tried to convince Ron that Malfoy had seemed a changed man, but Ron wasn't listening, too stubborn after everything Draco had said and done over the past seven years. He went back to unpacking his things, and Harry decided the point wasn’t worth arguing.

Over the next two days Ron’s happiness at moving out of his family’s house started to wane, and a grim mood took its place. Harry was sure it was caused by Hermione's continued absence. Since Harry and Kreacher had worked so hard on cleaning the house in the first few weeks, there really wasn’t much for Harry and Ron to do in the interim hours between waking and sleeping. They tried to distract themselves by walking the little streets around Grimmauld Place or else playing wizard chess by the fire in the evenings, but Ron’s heart didn’t seem to be in it. It wasn’t long before Ron found another way to ease his worry.

"Pass the firewhiskey, would ya?" Ron asked thickly through a mouthful of Kreacher's best treacle tart the following evening. Harry reached over and pushed a dusty bottle towards Ron.

"Ron, that's your last bottle, you hear me?" he announced firmly.

"Yeah, whatever," Ron mumbled drunkenly, draining the bottle in one gulp and tossing it carelessly onto the growing pile by the door. He burped loudly and laid his head on his hands resting on the table.

"Ron! Harry!" A woman's voice came from the doorway. Harry’s head snapped up, startled, and he jumped to his feet to hug Hermione, who looked joyous at the sight of her two best friends.

"Hermione?" Ron asked groggily, lifting his head from the table and staring in disbelief at the person before him. He cocked his head to the side as if trying to figure out if what he was seeing was real. "Hermione?"

Hermione, looking a bit confused, glanced at Harry, who motioned wordlessly at the pile of bottles on the floor. She sighed and looked back at Ron, who had risen from his chair.

"Hermione, my princess!" Ron cried and lunged at her, kissing her fiercely. She looked surprised, but returned the kiss with equally passion. Harry coughed after a moment to remind them of his presence, and they pulled apart, arms still around each other.

"Yes?" Ron asked stupidly, and Harry and Hermione burst out laughing.

"Ron, I think we need to get you lying down," said Hermione, grinning. She and Harry helped Ron walk into the living room without falling over. When they got him onto the couch, he closed his eyes and began singing loudly off-key:

"I've got my Hermoney
And you don't
Cause she came back
And that's cool"

"Ron," Harry said through his laughter, "Ron, stop it!"

"Oh, Hermoney, my princess
I've got my Hermoney
And that is all
Cause that's cool"

"RON!" Hermione screamed through her own hysterical laughter, "RON, shut up!" It took a good half hour to stop Ron's singing, and by that time, Harry and Hermione had given up trying to stop him and had put their efforts into hiding every remaining bottle of firewhiskey from access.

"So," Harry said after Ron's song proclaiming his love to "Hermoney" had died down to snores, "how did it go finding your parents?"

"Oh, it was quite hard in the beginning. Apparently I cast the memory charms extremely well, because they were very hard to find. But eventually I did, and now they are home and back to normal." Hermione grinned, as Ron's snores stopped suddenly and he began his next round entitled "Ode to Hermoney the Great."

"They weren't angry you had used magic on them?" Harry asked over the singing.

"No, they were fine with it after I explained everything. And once I moved them back in here, they settled down quite well. They were mostly concerned with having to begin their practices again after so long away, but I’m sure they will find a way to straighten everything out! So no harm done!"

They continued talking until Ron's singing had permanently ended. They covered him in a blanket on the couch and bade each other goodnight with "Hermoney is my Honey Bun" still ringing in their ears.
End Notes:
I hope everyone liked it! Feel free to drop a review and let me know!
Chapter 6 - Birthday Trouble by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling, not me

Moving right along! Here is another chapter for everyone, updates will probably slow down a little as I don't want to blow through all of my pre-written chapters and then struggle to write more. Hope everyone likes it!
* * *

On the morning of the thirty-first of July Harry awoke to a terrific breakfast buffet made by Kreacher. Hermione and Ron ate with him; then they all went off to the Burrow to see the rest of the Weasley family.

"Oh Harry dear, Happy Birthday!" Mrs. Weasley practically crushed his ribs when she hugged him. "Everyone is waiting for you in the sitting room to open presents."

"Oh really," Harry said blushing. "There's no need, you shouldn't have…"

"Now don't be silly, dear; we will have none of that. You just enjoy yourself for once."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed Mrs. Weasley into the sitting room, to be greeted at once by Bill, Fleur, George, Percy, Charlie, Lee Jordan, Ginny, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and sitting crammed in the corner, Hagrid.

"Appy Birthday, Arry!" said Fleur throatily the second he appeared in the doorway.

"Nice to see you, Harry. I remember when I first met ya, and now look at you! Eighteen years old, yer all grown up!" said Hagrid with tears in his eyes.

Mrs. Weasley ushered Harry into a chair and handed him a small wrapped box. Harry opened it up to find a new wallet that luckily did not have any fangs on it.

"Thanks, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley," said Harry, a little confused. The wallet was not very big and he could not see how to put any wizarding coins in without them falling out.

"Open it up!" Mrs. Weasley said, seeing the look on Harry's face. "But I would stand back!"

Harry pulled the leather flap open and found that the insides expanded and kept growing until he had a six foot wardrobe standing in front of him, complete with a full length mirror and a shelf for a broom. It even had little cubbies to put his shoes in and nice wide drawers for all his robes and Muggle clothes.

"Wow! Thanks. This is fantastic!" said Harry enthusiastically. He noticed a small handle on the side and pulled it. At once the wardrobe snapped shut and collapsed upon itself and kept shrinking, until it looked like a wallet again.

"Everything you put inside it will compress and shrink when you try to close it so if you are going on a long journey you won't have to carry a trunk!" Mr. Weasley proclaimed, smiling.

"Where on earth did you find this?" asked Harry, grinning.

"Oh, well…" Mr. Weasley said, trying not to look too pleased.

"Arthur invented it!" squealed Mrs. Weasley, looking very proud.

"How come I didn't get one?" Ron blurted, looking enviously at Harry.

"It's not your birthday, Ronald! And besides we don't know if it is possible to make any more of these at the moment!" Mrs. Weasley said, glaring at Ron.

–I er…might have used up all of the materials needed to make that one…” Arthur admitted sheepishly.

Harry grinned again and stowed the wallet safely in the pocket of his jeans.

Next Bill and Fleur gave Harry a book called Finding Adventure in the Everyday Life by Marshcot McDoogan.

"Thought you could use some adventure" said Bill, chuckling, "Not much for the famous Harry Potter to do now, right!"

"Thanks very much," Harry said, flipping keenly through the pages, stopping to glance at a chapter called, "What you didn't know was in your own backyard."

Ron gave Harry a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and a pile of Chocolate Frogs.

Hermione gave him a pair of gold gloves that she had knitted herself. Harry looked at them appreciatively, noticing how much better Hermione had gotten since her first elf hats.

"Okay, George, what was this big secret present that you said you were getting Harry?" Bill asked after Harry had finished thanking Ron and Hermione.

"It's not just me," George said. "Charlie, Hagrid, Ginny, Percy, Lee, and I all chipped in and got him something together." He stood up and walked over to the wall where a cloth had been thrown over something to cover it up. He returned with a large, rectangular cardboard box in his hands.

Harry opened the box slightly cautiously; he didn't know what so many people would all chip in to buy him.

"OH MY!" said Fleur clutching her heart, as a brand new, pristine Firebolt rolled out onto Harry's lap.

"Oh, no," said Harry blushing furiously. "You really shouldn't have, I really can't accept this!"

"Of course you can!" said Ginny looking at Harry for the first time since their last, brief meeting at the Burrow. "It's your birthday and we all thought you could do with a broom, since you don't have one anymore!"

"But this must have cost... quite a lot of Galleons!" said Harry, now looking at Charlie and George.

"You honestly think we don't know that?" George said a little sharply. "Come on, Harry, you think we don't have any money? And Charlie and Percy have a bit saved up from their jobs. Lee and I are doing great at the shop. Hagrid said he wanted to get you something special, and Ginny has been talking about wanting to beat you at Quidditch for a while now," George said heatedly.

Harry glanced back at Ginny at this, but she was conveniently looking out the window. Harry thought he could see a tiny reddening to her cheeks, but he looked away before anyone noticed his staring.

"It's fine, really, Harry, Happy Birthday." said Lee before anyone could say anything else.

"Thanks," said Harry a little awkwardly. "For everything." He smiled at George and Charlie, who rolled their eyes.

"Well, shall we have some cake then?" Mrs. Weasley asked, trying to cover up the slightly tense moment.

Everyone followed Mrs. Weasley into the kitchen, except for Hagrid who sat in the doorway.

The rest sat around the table and Harry listened to them chatting with a great feeling in his heart. Even though he no longer had any real family, he still had some wonderful people that loved and cared for him.

After the cake, which had been shaped like a giant golden lightning bolt, Harry, Ron, George, Ginny, and Hermione walked up the hill to the Weasleys' orchard. Hermione said she would watch, so the rest played two aside Quidditch taking turns on Harry's new Firebolt. As they had mostly made up, it was Harry and Ginny versus George and Ron.

"Come on! You can do better than that, Ron!" George shouted as Ginny scored another goal while Ron was keeping.

"I'm trying! It's not fair; you took my Cleansweep the other day and now it's all messed up!" Ron retorted, flying toward George, his ears red and his fist raised.

While they were arguing, Ginny flew back to Harry and gestured to him to follow her as she flew off into the trees.

Harry hesitated, looking back at Ron and George, but they were now yelling at each other and not paying attention to Harry at all. So he turned around and flew after Ginny.

He found her less than a minute later sitting on the ground in a forest clearing surrounded by tall oak trees. Her broom was lying beside her.

"Why are we all the way over here?" Harry asked as he landed on the soft ground next to her.

"I just thought we should get away from Ron and George for a little while" said Ginny with a sly smile on her face as she got up and walked over to him.

"I don't know, Ginny…I don't want to get caught by your brothers again." said Harry as Ginny inched closer.

"Oh, you don't have to worry about them. That's why we are all the way over here."

She was even closer now, her eyes shining, and Harry was suddenly overwhelmed by a fierce urge to get back on his broom and fly away. Then when he was deciding that he was just going to run away on foot, her hands were tight around the back of his neck and she started kissing him passionately.

His urge to leave had gone and he was enjoying himself like he had on his last birthday. His hands where intertwined in her long hair, hers draped around his shoulders and down his back.

Suddenly the realization of what he was doing caught up to him. His eyes flew open and he pushed her away from him.

"We can't…I…what the…" Harry spluttered, staring at her, his eyes wide.

"What's the matter?" Ginny asked, still smiling slightly.

"Ginny, we have to talk," Harry said. "We can't just start snogging and pretend everything is back to normal. We have to…you know…take our time…figure things out." Harry had no idea why he was saying this. It didn't take more than one second for him to figure out that he would always love Ginny. But he felt he should be the mature one and not rush their relationship.

"Oh, really," Ginny said, in a hurt voice. "You think we need time to 'figure things out,' do you? Oh, like maybe, how you're gonna break my heart again? Or how you should trick me into thinking I matter, and then ditch me again?" She was talking in a raised voice now, and her expression wasn't flirtatious anymore, it was furious. "Why do I have to love you so much, and you just play around with me, not caring if you break my heart?"

"Ginny, I didn't mean that at all!" Harry said, utterly dumbstruck at her reaction, "And you know I had no choice not to leave you last year—"

"No choice!" Ginny cried, tears now running down her face, "Of course you had a choice! You just chose to leave me!"

"I left you to protect you!" Harry said fiercely, now angry at Ginny's blindness of his situation, "It would have killed me to know I was putting you in danger. You know that!"

"I don't know if I do!" yelled Ginny, "And, if it even is true, you decided to try and protect me, like I'm some little helpless kid? Is that what you think of me?"

"Don't you ever say that, Ginny," Harry began heatedly. "Don't you ever accuse me of not loving you. Do you know who kept me going all that time when I was away last year?"

"Probably some other girl, or just your obsession with 'playing the hero!'" Ginny screamed.

"That's it, I'm done with this!" Harry roared. He jumped on his broom and soared away, hearing Ginny following close behind on her own broom. When he reached the orchard, he landed and hurried toward Ron and Hermione, the former of whom seemed to be quite over his argument with George, as he and Hermione were both snogging passionately on the grass.

"I'm leaving. See you both at home,” Harry grunted at them as he strode past down the hill. Ron and Hermione pulling apart to goggle at him.

"What? Harry? What happened?" Hermione said, looking absolutely flabbergasted.

But Harry didn't answer; he just turned on the spot, and Apparated away.
End Notes:
I hope everyone liked it! Feel free to drop a review and check my bio for updates!
Chapter 7 - Birthday Traditions by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling, not me
* * *

"Harry! Get up!" Hermione's voice echoed through the house. "We'll be late to the Burrow!"

"What?" Harry asked groggily, shaking his head a little as he sat up in bed, "Oh! I'll be down in a sec…hang on."

Harry jumped out of bed, grabbed some jeans and an old Weird Sister's tee Tonks had given him before she had died, and hurried to the bathroom. Today was Ginny's birthday, and Harry didn't want to be late. Somehow this day had become inexplicably linked in Harry's mind with getting back on Ginny's good side for real, and Harry did not want to ruin any chances of that.

Once he was dressed and ready, Harry took the steps down to the kitchen two at a time.

"Oh, there you are, Harry," Hermione said as Harry came into the room, "That was very fast."

"Oh, well, I just don't want to be late for Gin-" Harry faltered, breaking off at the smirk playing across Hermione's face, "What! I just don't want to be late to see the Weasleys!"

"Yes, the Weasleys as a whole, not just one in particular?" Hermione smiled knowingly.

Harry shot her an annoyed look as Ron came groggily into the kitchen and sunk into a chair on the other side of the table. Hermione had been trying to get Harry to tell her why he had stormed away from the Burrow with Ginny fuming at his heals ever since she and Ron had witnessed it after Harry’s birthday party. He had refused to talk about it, and, unlike Ron, Hermione had not been satisfied with "Ginny and I were just having a peaceful disagreement."

"Whas' for breakfast?" Ron asked Hermione sleepily.

"Oh Ron, you are completely helpless!" Hermione sighed, though she smiled slightly and kissed Ron softly on the cheek as she placed his toast, jam, and coffee in front of him.

"Thanks, 'Mione," Ron mumbled thickly with his mouth full of toast. Hermione rolled her eyes and sat down next to Harry with her their own plates. Harry pulled his towards himself and ate quickly. He was anxious to leave for the Burrow.

The three left Grimmauld Place after a silent breakfast broken only by Ron's occasional mumbling. They Disapparated on the top step of the house and were soon strolling down the walkway towards the Burrow. Ron and Hermione had bought a gift together for Ginny; a brand new set of crimson robes and a copy of The Magic beyond the Broom; a Study of Advanced Quidditch Techniques. Harry had tucked the necklace he had gotten in the muggle jewelry shop in his pocket, though he was nervous about giving it to Ginny. What if she didn't like it? What if she thought it was just some kind of joke? What if she thought it was tacky? What would her family think? He took a deep breath and entered the kitchen.

"Harry! Ron! Hermione!" squealed Mrs. Weasley, rushing over to greet them.

"Careful mum, you might suffocate them," George chuckled as his mother gave Ron a tight hug. "Honestly, you act like it’s been a year every time they come over! How are you Harry, Hermione?"

"Fine," Harry said. He looked around the kitchen. The walls were covered in banners displaying "Happy seventeenth, Ginny!" in flashing silver lettering. He could see a long table with mismatched chairs around it in the garden through the open window.

"Well, everyone else is here," Mrs. Weasley said, "and the food is already outside, so we can all go out and eat!"

The group trooped out the back door and into the garden. It was the usual untidy mess of weeds and many magical plants Harry did not recognize. A dozen gnomes were diving in and out of their gnome holes, and Harry felt at home, a feeling that ended quickly.

"Harry," came a soft, but firm voice from behind him. Harry spun around to see Ginny standing feet away from him, her arms crossed.

"Hey," Harry said stiffly, "Happy Birthday."

Ginny said nothing, but walked right passed Harry towards the table, leaving Harry standing alone. He had a feeling this was going to be harder than he had thought.

"Harry, dear," Mrs. Weasley called from the table, "we're ready to eat."

The meal passed without much trouble. Harry was sitting three seats away from Ginny, next to Mr. Weasley and Ron. Mr. Weasley informed him of the going-ons at work. It sounded like Kingsley was the best thing that had ever happened to the Ministry, and everything was running smoothly.

After the last crumb of treacle tart disappeared, Ginny began unwrapping gifts. Her parents gave her a silver watch with moons and stars carved along the edges. Bill and Fleur bought a new cage for Arnold, along with a gift card to Witch Wonder Beauty Boutique. In light of Harry’s overwhelmed reaction Charley and George supplied Ginny with a new broom, a Nimbus 2000. Her eyes lit up when she finished unwrapping it and it was her favorite present by far. The party dispersed and people began strolling around the yard. George set off inside the house with his parents to show them his new plans for a joke shop opening in Hogsmeade.

"Ginny, can I have a word," Harry spoke quietly to Ginny once he had cornered her. He figured it was now or never.

"I suppose," Ginny mumbled and beckoned Harry to follow her around to the more private front of the house. She stopped under the same elm she and Harry had met just weeks before and turned to face him.

"Harry, I-" she began, but Harry cut her off.

"No, I need to tell you something, Ginny. I love you. I have loved you forever. I have never stopped loving you. All that time I was searching for Horcruxes, I loved you. All that time you thought I was treating you like a baby, I loved you. I watched your dot on my Marauders Map ever night I was away from you and wished with all my heart I were there with you. I love you, Ginny, more than I could ever say."

Harry finished in a voice barely more than a whisper. Ginny was staring him straight in the eye, and he noticed there were tears running down her soft cheeks. He reached out and wiped them away, his hand caressing her smooth skin. She shivered.

"Ginny, I wanted to give you something for your birthday that you would remember," Harry said, reaching into his pocket and withdrawing the small wrapped box. He handed it to her and watched her open it with slightly trembling hands.

"Harry, you didn't have to get-"she gave a sudden gasp and fell silent when she saw the necklace. Slowly she lifted it from the box and read the inscription on the pendant. She looked up at Harry and then, without warning launched herself at him. Harry was knocked down onto the grass and Ginny landed on top of him.

"Wow, do you really like it that much?" Harry asked, a grin spreading across his face.

"Harry, it's beautiful," she said breathlessly, still on top of him, "It's the best birthday present a person could ever get."

"I dunno," Harry said, "I think yours from last year would beat anything I could ever give you."

"Well," Ginny smiled mischievously, "You could add to your present by trying to match mine from last year."

"Fine by me," Harry whispered and he kissed her like he had never kissed her before, and Ginny kept kissing him back, and it was pure bliss. Harry did not know how long they lay there, in the front yard of the Burrow kissing, whether they were there a minute or a year. All he knew was that the thing that mattered most to him in the entire world was Ginny Weasley, and it was as if everything else in the world were gone. It was just him and Ginny, with nothing between them, nothing to stand in their way.

"This is too good to be true," Harry said softly as they broke apart.

"No, Harry, this is too good to be fake," Ginny whispered and they she pulled him toward her again, and his world was finally falling back into place.
End Notes:
HA. Ohhhh so that’s where I put the title in. Ah well… what can you do. Now slightly cleaned up in 2015. Hehehe.
Chapter 8 - Changing Tides by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling, not me
* * *


"So, when are we going to tell them?" Ginny asked Harry as they strolled down the lane running beside the Burrow a few mornings later. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had just come over to visit the Weasleys, and Harry and Ginny had left for a walk, Ron's suspicious glare heating their backs.

–Mmm?” asked Harry. He had been too busy thinking about how happy he was to catch what Ginny was saying.

–We can’t just go on sneaking around forever.” Ginny nudged Harry playful in the side. –They are bound to find out somehow, or walk in on us snogging or something.”

–So let them!” Harry smiled. –I’m not hiding anything from anyone, Ginny. Besides, I sort of figured they already knew by now what with all the crying, screaming, storming off, and then talking again.”

–You have a point there,” she agreed. "I bet if I just slip the news to George, he can handle the rest. He’s always had a big mouth anyway.”

They looped around the path and started heading back toward the Burrow.

–I wonder how long this calm is going to last,” Harry said, frowning slightly. –I haven’t had this much uninterrupted leisure time since… well I don’t think I’ve ever had this much free time. I keep waiting for something to go horribly wrong, but each day is as wonderful as the last.”

Ginny sighed and gripped his hand more tightly.

–I know what you mean. It’s hard believing that life can really be this easy. I’m starting to get bored.”

–Oh, so now you’re bored of me, are you?” Harry teased, –Well I guess you will just have to find someone else then!”

He dropped her hand and sped up down the path. Ginny giggled and caught up with him quickly, jumping onto his back and wrapping her legs tightly around his waist.

–Well, maybe you should entertain me then,” she breathed into his ear.

Harry grabbed her side and in one swift motion she was swung around in front of Harry, still hoisted up but staring into his eyes. He walked forward until her back was planted firmly against a nearby tree and leaned in slowly toward her mouth. Ginny closed her eyes and almost moaned as she felt his hair tickle her forehead in the breeze. She parted her lips slightly and drew in a quick breath, and then, without any warning Harry blew a wet raspberry against her lips and burst out laughing. Ginny’s eyes flew open in an instant and she pushed out of his arms, falling to her feet unsteadily.

–Who’s boring now?” Harry chuckled, pulling her back inside the house.

* * *

To Harry’s relief Ginny’s plan of telling George worked perfectly. By lunchtime everyone was informed of the young couple’s reunion and had notified them in one way or another. Some, like Bill and Mr. Weasley, were content enough to wink at Harry behind their newspapers and keep it at that. Others, like Fleur and Mrs. Weasley, had rushed at the pair with giant hugs and squeals of delight, just wanting everyone to be happy. As expected, Ron, George, and Percy merely grimaced, and Harry left the room quickly before they could start teasing him properly.

Best of all was Charlie’s reaction, who when news finally reached him, turned with surprise to Ginny and Harry and announced, –Blimey! I didn’t even know you two were together before!”

* * *

The rest of Harry's day was spent eating leftover cake and socializing with all the Weasleys, and for some very enjoyable hours he was with Ginny in the orchard, far away from Ron's nosing eyes. Only after the sky was black and the air was chilly did Harry kiss Ginny goodbye, Ron pointedly turned the other way, and leave for Grimmauld Place with Ron and Hermione. Upon arriving, Ron collapsed onto the couch and was asleep in minutes.

"Harry," Hermione said, grinning, once she had made two cups of tea for them both and sat with Ron's head on her lap on the couch, "I'm really glad about you and Ginny."

"Yeah, me too," Harry smiled. "I can't believe it's really happened." Ever since Ginny's birthday, Harry had been living like he was dreaming. Was it only a few months or so ago that he had been about to die at Lord Voldemort's feet? Now he was living without worries, with his two best friends. He had the girl of his dreams by his side, and he couldn't remember ever being happier.

"You know, Ginny used to always ask me how to get you to like her," Hermione said.

"Yeah," Harry grinned, "I know, she told me right after I broke up with her last summer, at-at Dumbledore's funeral. End of sixth year." Even though it had been over a year, the death of his headmaster still brought forth a lump in Harry's throat.

"Speaking of school, we should be getting our school lists any day now!" Hermione said, bringing Harry out of his reverie.

They had each received a notice a few weeks earlier that the repairs on Hogwarts were coming along nicely and that the school should be ready for students by the start of term. Hermione had been talking of very little since then, eager to make up for lost time.

"I just can't wait to be back at school! We've got so much to catch up on!" Hermione fretted.

"Not like you don't already know it all," Harry mumbled under his breath, but Hermione appeared not to hear him. Ah, Harry thought, it sure will be nice, going back home.

* * *

Sure enough, the next morning at breakfast, three tawny school owls arrived, each bearing three scrolls with the Hogwarts crest. Harry untied his and read the first letter.

Dear Mr. Potter,

Due to your absence last year, you are invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for your seventh year. Many of your peers are also retaking their previous years due to the, shall we call it, "unusual" situation we had experienced. Enclosed is a list of required supplies and a letter from your Headmistress.

Harry unfolded the second letter and read:

Each 7th year student will require:
1. One copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7
2. One copy of Advanced Potion Making: Newly advised edition with notes by the Half Blood Prince
(Harry laughed aloud after reading this.)
3. After learning of the use this book has proven, an optional class will be taught on the book Hogwarts, A History

(Harry laughed again.)

Harry unfolded the third letter and found the note from his Headmistress.

Dear Mr. Potter,

Greetings, I hope this letter finds you well and relaxed. I am writing to ask if you would be interested in teaching an optional class this year, a class that you have already taught once. I am of course talking about Dumbledore's Army. You would be allowed to hand-pick participants and the class would run as it did in your fifth year, except of course, in a more standard-issue classroom. Please consider this as many students greatly benefited from your teaching. I will be seeing you soon, and until then,

Sincerely,

Professor McGonagall


Below this Harry found a post script:

P.S.

I have recently heard from one Molly Weasley, that you having sorting some things out with Miss Ginevra Weasley. I would like to say congratulations. If anyone deserves a little love and happiness in their life, it would be you. I am quite sure this year will be better than the last. I would like to remind you, however, that teacher or not, defeater of Voldemort or not, school rules still apply to you and Miss Weasley. Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

-MM


Harry grinned and blushed slightly at the final part of the letter. The thought of having his old club back, doing what he loved, was so inviting, though he had to admit that the idea of doing it legally made it slightly less exciting.

"Harry!" Hermione squealed behind him, holding a letter similar to his. "McGonagall has asked me to teach a Hogwarts, A History class!"

"What!" Harry said in surprise. He loved Hermione as a friend, but the thought of her as a real teacher was slightly terrifying. "Well, in that case...you can just let me and Ron skip class and play Quidditch!"

"You will NOT be skipping out on my classes!" Hermione said disapprovingly. "Not after all that book has helped us-"

She was interrupted by Ron's noisy footsteps on the stairs.

"Morning, honey," Hermione said sweetly. Harry gagged. He hoped Ginny and himself were not that mushy.

"Harry and I just got our letters from Hogwarts- here's yours." She handed him a brown scroll identical to Harry's and continued, "and that reminds me, when should we leave next Sunday? If we need to be at Platform 9 and ¾ by 11 am?"

"Can't we just Apparate to Hogwarts?" Ron asked sleepily.

"I'm not even going to bother asking you if you even own Hogwarts, A History. YOU CAN'T APPARATE ON HOGWARTS GROUNDS, RONALD!" She gave Harry an "I told you, you guys need to take my class" look and then turned back to the counter for a second helping of Kreacher’s cooking, bacon, eggs, and toast with jam.

"I guess I'd better go get ready," Harry said. He got to his feet and made to walk around the table.

"For what?" Ron said, as if the thought of having anything to do on a Saturday was too repulsive to even imagine.

"'Remember, I'm going to the Malfoys' today," Harry called as he climbed the stairs to his/Sirius's old room.

Bet you ten Galleons you won’t come back alive!" Ron called after him. Hermione just rolled her eyes.

Just as Harry had started to believe that his meeting with Malfoy in Diagon Alley had been all in his head, he had received an owl from Narcissa asking, just as Draco had said, if Harry wouldn’t join them for tea Saturday afternoon.

Finally deciding to dress in his nice Muggle clothes, a pair of black slacks and a green button-down shirt, Harry set off for the Malfoys'.

Having been there once before, Harry was able to Apparate just outside the gate of the imposing gray house. Harry stuck out his hand and the gate clicked open loudly at his touch. Harry pushed the bars open and walked up the pathway to Malfoy Manor. It was strange to be walking matter-of-factly up the stone driveway to this house. Harry never thought that in all his life he would ever go here on his own free will.

This is certainly better than being dragged here, Harry thought with a slight smile.

He reached the white marble steps and climbed up them to the expensive-looking cherry front door. Harry reached up to knock with the serpentine brass knocker, but the door swung opened before he could grab it.


"Hello, Potter," said the slightly drawling voice of Draco Malfoy. Harry noticed the almost pleasant smile on Malfoy's face and couldn't decide if it made him feel welcome or suspicious.

"Er- hi," Harry said awkwardly.

"Come in, please," Malfoy said. "My mother has tea ready." He beckoned Harry forward and Harry cautiously stepped over the threshold.

The inside of Malfoy Manor was much warmer and less haughtily regal than the outside. To Harry's left were two modern black couches and an armchair. Malfoy led Harry over to the couches and sat down on one.

"Go on, sit Potter. It won’t kill you."

Harry grinned and sat down on the opposite couch.

They stared at each other for a few seconds, and then Malfoy broke the silence.

"Look, Harry, I'm really glad you came," Malfoy began, but stopped at the goggling expression on Harry's face.

"Excuse me, but - er - did you just call me Harry?" Harry said, stunned. Never in seven years had Malfoy and he been on first name terms. They had always reserved much more rude and insulting names for each other.

"Yes," Malfoy smirked, "I believe I did. You don't have a problem with that, do you?"

"Uh-no. It's just - well - ," Harry stuttered, "Why on earth are you being so nice to me? I mean, we are supposed to be sworn enemies aren't we? It’s just… you of all people should hate me."

Malfoy laughed. "Maybe before, but, well - ," and he too looked a bit uncomfortable now, "my mother and I, we've, well - shall we say 'seen the error of our ways.' Life has been a lot better now that," he gulped, "Voldemort has been defeated. And I wanted to thank you Harry, for helping the Wizarding World, even though we didn't help you."

Harry nodded shortly. This scene was too weird to even begin responding to.

Malfoy continued, "And I also wanted to apologize for all the pain I've caused you over the years. I know I haven't exactly been pleasant, much less kind."

"Nor have I," Harry interjected. Malfoy was making Harry sound too sweet and perfect for his liking. Malfoy laughed again.

"Yes, we both could do with some kindness towards each other..."

Their chat wandered amazingly to Hogwarts, teachers, and other things Harry would never have dreamed of discussing with Malfoy. He found out that Malfoy was also going to be retaking his seventh year, and, to his surprise he found this news pleasant. Well, maybe not pleasant, but it wasn't really Hogwarts without Malfoy, evil or…changed.

Part way into their discussion on whether or not Quidditch would be allowed again this year, Narcissa entered the room. She too seemed genuinely happy that Harry was alive and well, and personally thanked him for ending the war. Harry knew that the only way Narcissa had been able to safely find and escort Draco to safety was by pretending Harry had been killed. Where she wanted to thank Harry for this, Harry felt much more in debt to her for lying so openly to Voldemort. Without Narcissa Malfoy, Voldemort would still surely be at large.

An hour later, they had finished Mrs. Malfoy's tea and biscuits.

"One last thing before you go, Harry," Malfoy said as Harry rose to leave.

"Yeah, Draco?"

"How are - ," Malfoy paused, "How are you and Ginny Weasley?"

"Um," usually Harry would have said something like, "It's none of your business, you filthy git!" but he didn't feel that way anymore.

"It's actually going well. We, uh, made up a few days ago."

"That's great, I'm glad for you," and Malfoy actually looked a bit glad. "And Hermione and Ron are together too?"

"Yeah, they are finally!" Harry grinned.

"Yes, well, it took them long enough. Well, I'll see you on the train then."

"You too. Thanks for the tea." Harry said, and the strangest thing all morning occurred. Draco Malfoy extended his hand, just as he had on that first day on the Hogwarts Express, and this time Harry took it.

The world, Harry thought, must have just turned upside down. And Harry liked the view better this way.
End Notes:
Sorry for the short break! I hope everyone is enjoying their November! I should have another chapter up by the end of the month! Read and Review!

-Mary
Chapter 9 - Breaking Down and Falling Down by way 2 HP obsesed
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling, not me
* * *


The week passed by quicker than ever. On Monday, Harry spent an enjoyable day with Ginny, chasing each other on brooms, eating Harry's cooking, consisting of grilled cheese sandwiches and the firewhiskey Ron hadn't managed to find, and wandering around Muggle London. Ginny was fascinated with all the Muggle appliances and gadgets. Harry tolerated a full hour of Ginny messing around with a display computer in a store before dragging her away. Hermione and Ron had supposedly gone to the Burrow to help Mrs. Weasley, but in Harry's later conversation with her, they had never turned up. Ron said they took a wrong turn and ended up in a lovely little village that they just couldn't leave, so they were forced to stay all day and enjoy themselves.

On Tuesday, Ginny and Harry, Ron and Hermione, Bill and Fleur, and George visited a Wizarding Amusement Park. Harry and Hermione had never been to one before and were astounded by the marvelous rides and food. There were cotton candy vendors who spun the sugar into animal shapes in astounding detail and magic powered coasters that required the rider to be cast under a sticking charm in order to stay on the ride. Harry particularly enjoyed the haunted house that came equipped with boggarts around every corner. This didn’t bother Harry too much since he could easily dispel the visions, but Ron left shaking and sweating profusely.

–Howlers,” Ron gasped, sitting hunched over on a bench outside the house, –all with my mum’s voice.”

On Wednesday, Hermione and Ron disappeared again, as did Harry and Ginny. When they returned and Mrs. Weasley questioned them, they only grinned and said they had managed to find the lovely little village themselves.

On Thursday, the gang went to Diagon Alley to shop for school supplies. They met Draco at the Leakey Cauldron for lunch. Harry had recounted his visit with Malfoy to Ginny, Hermione, and Ron when he had returned Saturday. Though Ron still seemed unconvinced of Malfoy's new light, Hermione and Ginny agreed with Harry that Malfoy was a changed man. He did indeed act very different than his old, sneering self. Malfoy was civil with everyone and even apologized to
Hermione for calling her a "mudblood" for all those years. Hermione blushed at that, and Ron looked slightly more satisfied.

Once they were all finished eating, they said goodbye to Draco and headed out onto the bustling Alley Street. They went into a few shops and purchased the necessary books and equipment for the coming school year. Since Harry and Hermione were teaching this year, they needed to get a few new things.

In Codwell's Teaching Supplies, Hermione got a little over excited by all the new books and charts. Ron, Harry, and Ginny decided to leave her at it for a while so they stepped back out to wait. Ron really needed some new keeper gloves, so they decided to split up and meet back at the Leaky Cauldron in half an hour.

Ron set off for Quality Quidditch Supplies, and Ginny and Harry were left with thirty whole minutes on their own.

"Where d'ya want to go?" Harry asked while taking Ginny's hand and leading her down the cobbled street.

"Oh, I don't mind," Ginny replied with a shrug, "Is there anything else that you need to get?"

Harry had opened his mouth to say that he didn't think he needed anything, when he stopped short in sight of a bright blue sign hanging outside of Eyelops Owl Emporium.

Ginny saw where he was staring and tightened her grip on his hand.

"Harry would you like a new—would you like an owl?"

Harry gulped and shifted his pained gaze to Ginny's face. "I don't know if I can."

"It's all right Harry," Ginny said soothingly. "It's okay to be sad. But know this, Hedwig died like Madeye, a hero in battle."

"It's just hard," Harry whispered. "This is going to be my first school year without her. It will be like Hogwarts without Hagrid, not receiving letters from her...everything is going to be different this year, isn't it?"

"Yes," said Ginny simply, "but we'll make it through. Just think of all the good things about this year. We'll see Neville again for one, and Seamus."

"But no Dumbledore."

"Do you really believe that, Harry? That Dumbledore is not still in the hearts and minds of all at Hogwarts?"

Harry just looked at Ginny for a while, a million thoughts and emotions running across his face.

Finally, when the pain was too much to hold in and bear alone, Harry gave himself up and the tears started coursing down his cheeks. Ginny wrapped her arms around him, and Harry wept into her shoulder for a good few minutes. Ginny rubbed his back until he stopped crying, and when he did, he pulled away but kept both of her hands in his.

"Sorry 'bout that," Harry said gruffly. "I didn't mean to break down like that. I have just been trying to avoid thinking about all the changes for this year. Dreading them, really. Hogwarts has always been my true home, and I'm afraid of what it will feel like when we go back this time, with visions of the battle that took place there. Nothing will be the same."

"Oh Harry, don't worry about any of that. I know Hogwarts has always been where you really belong, but it wasn't just because of Dumbledore. We are all going to be there, Ron, Hermione, and I—"

"Do you promise that, Ginny? That you will always be there?"

"Of course, Harry. Always have been, always will. You wouldn't be able to get rid of me, even if you tried with all of your...hero's power."

Harry grinned at that. "Hero's power...well, that does sound like me, doesn't it."

Harry brought Ginny close and hugged her to him.

"Thank you, for everything. I will never be able to put into words how much you mean to me."

They stayed in that position for a few more seconds, ignoring the curious passersby, until Harry noted that it was due time they go back to Ron and Hermione.

They turned together and headed back without another glance toward the owl shop, where eight years before Hagrid had bought Harry his first ever birthday present, and faithful pet, Hedwig.

The next day was Friday, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione all went over to the Burrow for tea. It was rainy so they all gathered in the sitting room and listened to Mrs. Weasley's wireless while they drank their tea.

"Are you all packed and ready for school?" Mrs. Weasley questioned. "I've washed all of Ginny's robes and Harry, Ron, have you both got new underwear?"

"Muuumm!" Ron groaned, "Please, not in front of everyone!" Harry examined the last dregs of tea in his cup, blushing.

Hermione and Ginny were both giggling madly, hands pressed to their mouths.

Andromeda showed up with baby Teddy at around four, and Harry spent a good hour holding and playing with his godson.

"You are so good with him," Andromeda gushed while Harry tickled and Teddy squirmed. "It is such a blessing that Teddy has you to help him grow up."

Harry smiled, but then his brow furrowed as he thought of something.

"What are you going to do about Teddy while I am at school this year?" Harry loved seeing his godson, and knew that it was important that he be there for him, but he didn't see how he was going to whilst at Hogwarts.

"Oh, not to worry, Harry dear," soothed Andromeda, "I'm not that old, I'll manage just fine. And besides," she turned towards Mrs. Weasley, "I daresay Molly will want to help out."

"Of course, Andromeda. Harry, don't you worry about a thing. We'll take care of little Teddy."

Harry, however, was not entirely convinced. "I just really want the best for him. I know what it's like growing up without parents, and I know that if I could have been with Sirius sooner, things would have gone better. I want to be there for Teddy from the start."

"Oh Harry, things will be fine." Andromeda said. "Teddy is only a few months old. There will be plenty of time for you be there for him."

"But if you are really concerned about it, you can always come by anytime you want to see him." Andromeda reminded him. "And I will definitely bring him around for Christmas and Easter."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione went back to Grimmauld Place shortly after that, and Harry went to bed feeling much more confident that he would be a good godfather.

Harry vowed that he would do anything, risk anything for Teddy, just as Sirius had for himself.

Saturday was, as Ron called it, "Our last day of freedom!" Or, as Hermione called it, "Only one more day until we get to return to school!" Harry himself had mixed feelings about returning to Hogwarts. On the one hand, he was looking forward to seeing his old friends and re-instating the D.A. On the other hand, there was still the fear in the back of his head that this year would be so much different than the previous ones.

And of course, school was school... Yes, Harry thought, he would much rather spend his time with Ginny than listen to a boring lecture. Though Harry had to admit, it would be nice to spend time with Ginny at Hogwarts, away from the prying eyes of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

At last Sunday arrived. The trio left Grimmauld Place, lugging trunks, Pigwidgen's cage, Cruikshank's basket, brooms, cauldrons, and wands. Harry had hesitated before smiling and adding the Marauders Map and Invisibility Cloak to his trunk. Even if he wasn't planning on doing anything too dangerous this year, old habits die hard.

It felt odd to leave Grimmauld Place after staying there for so long. Harry kept thinking of Sirius and the great black dog he transformed into to walk him to the station exactly three years ago.

A half hour later, Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered Kings Cross Station.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked, seeing that Harry had stopped abruptly in the doorway, staring glassy-eyed around at the Muggles hurrying from platform to platform.

"Huh," Harry said absently, and then concentrated on Ron and Hermione's concerned faces, "Oh, I was just thinking... last time I was here, I was with Dumbledore." Harry paused for a second, before continuing in a voice so low that the others had to strain to hear above the noise in the station, "Last time I was here, I had just died."

If Ron and Hermione had looked concerned before, it was nothing as to how they gaped at him now.

Hermione opened her mouth to speak, but Ron beat her to it.

"Mate, you're alive."

"I realize that, oddly enough." Harry responded almost angrily.

"Harry," Hermione moved closer to him and put her hang on his shoulder. "Does this have anything to do with what happened in the woods with... V-Voldemort?"

Harry looked down at Hermione and shrugged slightly. "Never mind. Forget it; I don't want to talk about it."

"Look Harry, we’re your best mates. You can't keep shutting us out forever." Ron said fiercely. "I know you don't want to relive whatever happened that night, but we can't help you get over this if you don't clue us in!"

Harry appeared stunned at Ron's outburst, but shook it off.

"I'm sorry." Harry mumbled. "I know I haven't been completely honest with you both, and I realize it must be torture being shut out, but you have to understand that what happened that night is a complete mystery, and a secret. Only I really know what happened, and I'm not even convinced that it was real. I promise I will tell you sometime, but you're right Ron, I'm not ready to relive that yet."

The three stood in silence for a few moments, each lost in thoughts of that night, but the arrival of Ginny brought them out of their reveries.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Mum broke down crying when she realized this was my last year at Hogwarts. You know how she gets, wouldn't let me go until she had hugged me twenty times."

Harry shook his head and tried to look as if nothing out of the ordinary had just occurred. "Why isn't she seeing you off?"

"Oh, well, she would have, but Lee called in sick and George really needed another hand in the shop. I'm not sure WHAT help Mum thinks she's gonna be, but ah, well.”

–I thought Percy was supposed to be helping George at the shop,” Harry questioned.

–Ha! Yeah, that only lasted a few days before he annoyed George so thoroughly that George threw him out. He’s been trying to find a new job ever since.” Ginny shrugged. –I'm just glad I didn't miss the train."

At that last word all four seemed to realize that they were still just standing around by the entrance way.

"Oh my god!" Hermione squealed, and they all took off down the platform at once.

Luckily the station was packed with Muggles, so no one noticed the four teenagers disappear through the solid barrier that led to platform nine and three quarters.

"What time is it?" Ginny shouted above the hundreds of voices floating around in the steam from the massive Hogwarts Express.

"Three 'till eleven!" Harry shouted back, following the long mane of red hair that was whipping through the masses of people moving away from the train.

All of a sudden the space in front of Harry was absent of bodies and he smacked into the train.

"Oof," came the muffled sound of Hermione as she slammed into Harry's back.

Ron had managed to avoid the train, but had fallen over at their sudden stop.

Ginny, the only one in a somewhat respectable position, burst into laughter at the sight before her. She bent double and had to clutch at the door to keep from falling over herself.

"Shut it." Ron growled at her. He pulled himself off the ground and pushed past Ginny, onto the train.

Hermione apologized to Harry, picked up Cruickshank's fallen basket and followed Ron, blushing as she passed Ginny, who was still grinning madly.

"Well, that was…very entertaining, I must say," Ginny said, clapping as Harry righted himself. "The boy who lived, the chosen one, can't even watch where he is going."

Harry grinned and took off his glasses which had snapped when he hit the train.

"Hmm. These seem to be the problem."

"Here," Ginny took the glasses from Harry and pulled out her wand. "Reparo!"

"Taking over for Hermione, are you?" Harry teased.

"Well, if I'm going to be your girlfriend, I need to learn how to take care of you, don't I?"

"Look, I hate to break up this very touching moment, but THE TRAIN NEEDS TO LEAVE!"

Harry and Ginny looked up and saw Ron's red face protruding from the window above them.

"Come on," Harry said, grabbing Ginny's hand, and leading her onto the train.

They joined Ron and Hermione in their compartment and took seats just as the train started moving. They sat next to each other, across from Ron and Hermione. Harry watched as first the platform and then Kings Cross vanished from sight.

"I wish we could just stay here," Harry mumbled, several minutes later. He was lying down on the seat, with his head resting on Ginny's lap. Ginny was running her fingers through his unruly hair. The position reminded Harry of Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson two years ago. This realization made him smile and he reached up to twirl a strand of silky red hair around his first finger.

Ginny grinned and bent to kiss Harry, her sweet flowery scent soothing him, "Me too." She said, and then directed her attention to Ron who looked ready to punch them.

"Have you heard from George since Tuesday? I was wondering how he's been."

"Nope," Ron said softly. Hermione was curled up in his lap with her head on his shoulder, apparently napping… "I've been worried about him too. He just hasn't been quite the same since...since...well, you know."

"None of us have," Ginny replied sadly. "But George the most. I think he's trying to act as if it's not bothering him, but it is so much harder for him, I mean, Fred was his other half."

Silence filled the compartment as each of its occupants were thrust into memories of the battle. Memories that no one wanted to examine, but ones that they couldn't forget.

The train sped off into the prevailing night.
End Notes:
Well, that was a nice long chapter for everyone! I am almost done with the re-write now! Which means new chapters on the horizon! OOOO exciting stuff! I will soon be switching over to a few more perspectives, so it won’t be all Harry and Ginny. Hopefully you guys like that sort of thing!
-Mary
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81538