The Journey to Understanding by coolh5000
Summary: Ron's world falls apart when he discovers the death of his wife, Hermione. Desperate to understand why it happened, he becomes determined to find the people responsible. However his hunt leads him to discover the darkness and suffering of those who the second war sought to suppress.

This is a round 7 Gauntlet entry by coolh5000 of Slytherin
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Epilogue? What Epilogue?, Suicide, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 14841 Read: 7884 Published: 11/17/08 Updated: 11/25/08
Story Notes:
Canon compliant with exception of epilogue.

Suicide warning is for a later chapter. Violence is present throughout with some fairly bloody attacks/descriptions.

1. Chapter 1 by coolh5000

2. Chapter 2 by coolh5000

3. Chapter 3 by coolh5000

Chapter 1 by coolh5000
Ron Weasley had spent a good deal of his day doing paperwork and had been getting more and more frustrated as the pile beside him didn’t seem to shrink. All he could think about was getting home to his wife and three-month old daughter. She was growing so much at the moment that he felt as though he was missing years of her life just while he was at work.

He looked up from his desk and across the long room to where Harry’s office was positioned. Harry had been called out on a job about an hour ago and was yet to return. It seemed like it was going to be another late night for the head of the department; Ginny wouldn’t be pleased.

Just as he was about to give up for the day, Ron heard the lift clatter open and heavy, fast footsteps coming along the corridor. He looked up and saw Harry approaching him, his face white as a sheet and his expression grim.

“Ron, something’s happened,” Harry said, his voice completely lifeless.

Ron’s heart leapt to his throat. “What?”

“It’s Herm…” Harry’s voice cracked, “Hermione.”

“What about Hermione? Is she hurt? Missing?”

“Ron, she’s d…dead.” Harry’s voice failed him and he collapsed into the chair opposite Ron’s desk.

Ron felt the world disappear around him. Harry’s words swirled round and round in his head.

“I don’t understand? How can she be dead?”

Harry just shook his head.

“What about Rose?” Ron said suddenly, his heart filled with dread as he thought of his precious baby girl.

“She’s safe. They didn’t touch her “ we found her in the nursery, sleeping. Your mother has her now.”

“Where's Hermione?” asked Ron, his voice feeling strangely detached from his body.

“Your house. But, maybe you should wait until they’ve finished. You don’t want to see her like she is. They did some terrible things.”

But Ron was already on his feet. “She’s my wife, Harry. I have to see her.”

He almost sprinted to the lifts, ignoring the shouts of people around him. When he reached the atrium, he quickly turned on the spot and Apparated.

He arrived just outside the boundary of the house and ran up the path. He was stopped at the door by a young Auror, one he didn’t recognise.

“I’m sorry, sir, you can’t come in here.”

“Get out my way, you idiot!” Ron shouted. “She’s my wife.”

Without realising it, Ron had taken his wand out and was pointing it at the young man. Sensing it was no use trying to argue, the Auror stepped aside.

“Where is she?” asked Ron.

“The s…study, but please, sir…”

Ron heard none of this; he was already on the stairs, heading towards the study.

Reaching the door, he flung it open and instantly his eyes focused on her. Hermione’s beautiful body was lying completely still. Ron walked over and knelt beside her. Her eyes were wide open and there was a shocked expression on her face.

“Killing curse?” he said softly to one of the Aurors in the room. They simply nodded in reply.

Ron put his hand on her face and gently closed her eyes. His tears fell on to her face and he gave her a light kiss on the forehead. As he lifted his head, something red caught his eye. Looking at her arms he saw they had been cut in long zigzag lines, almost the same shape as a very familiar lightning bolt scar. His eyes moved to her legs and he saw the same cuts. He looked at the Auror.

“How did this happen?” he asked in horror.

“We don’t know. She had been bleeding quite badly; we cleared the blood once we had sampled it, but we don’t know what exactly happened. We’ll do more tests once we can take the body to the Ministry.” He was looking expectantly at Ron and he realised he was waiting for permission to remove the body.

Ron gave his wife’s beautiful face one last look. “Goodbye, Hermione,” he whispered. “I will find the people who did this to you.” He stood up and looked away as two Aurors came forward and lifted the body into their arms.

“We will let you know what we find out,” the older one said. “I am so sorry, Mr Weasley.”

As they left the room, another person entered and Ron looked up to see Harry standing in the doorway.

“What happened to her, Harry?” he said weakly.

“I wish I knew.”

“Did you see her arms and legs? Did you see what those cuts looked like?”

Harry had gone pale. “Of course I did. Ever since I found her, the image of them hasn’t left my mind. They were meant for me, Ron; they were a warning.”

“Do you think she was still…still alive when they did it?”

Harry dropped his eyes. “There was so much blood. I don’t know how she could have bled that much if she hadn’t been.”

“I don’t even understand how they got in!” Ron said, suddenly angry. “We have wards - spells to stop people gaining access through magical means.”

“They didn’t use magical means though, Ron. Hermione must have heard them trip the outer boundary, or something, because she sent us her patronus. Somehow, she knew she was in trouble. By the time it had been identified and our team arrived, it was too late.”

“But how did they get in the actual house?”

Harry gestured to the window. “They used Muggle methods. They forced the window open and climbed in. Hermione must have been working in here.” He took something out of the pocket of his robes. “We found this on the floor.” Ron looked at it. It was his wife’s wand, snapped cleanly in two. “They must have overpowered her.”

Ron walked over to the window and examined the frame. The whole thing had been bent out of shape. “They must have done this all using force,” he said. “If they’d touched any part of the house with magic, the alarm would have gone off. My wand would have reacted. There must have been more than one. She was a good witch, Harry. She would have put up a fight.”

“I know,” replied Harry. “There’s so much we don’t understand. We have to just hope that somehow, we’ll find the answers.”




Ron did not know how he made it through the rest of the evening. He begged Harry to stay at the house, unsure how to cope alone. Ginny arrived, her own face stained with tears, and the three of them sat in silence, unable to express their grief. At some point, Ginny tried to get him to eat something, but everything he tried stuck in his throat. Harry asked whether he would like to see Rose, but the idea of seeing his beautiful baby, who didn’t have a care in the world, was unbearable. He must have fallen asleep at some point because he was woken by the sun streaming through the living room window.

He realised he was alone and could hear voices from the kitchen. He stumbled down the hall to find Harry and Ginny sitting at the kitchen table, their faces grim.

“Hi,” Ron managed to croak. He fetched himself a glass of water and then joined the other two at the table. “Do you know anything yet?” he asked Harry.

Harry hesitated for a moment and then said, “Ron…” He was suddenly interrupted by an owl, flying through the kitchen window and depositing the newspaper. Harry glanced at the paper and, seeing the headline, attempted to grab it. But Ron was quicker; he seized the paper and quickly read the headline, “Break-in at Gringotts.” Below another story was headed, “Wizarding Heroine Dead.” It was the second headline which caught his attention the most and he scanned the article which followed.

Hermione Weasley, better known as Granger, was found dead at the home she shared with her husband and daughter, yesterday afternoon. Authorities are treating the death as suspicious. Mrs Weasley is best known as one of Harry Potter’s closest friends and was instrumental in the final downfall of you-know-who. After the war, she went on to achieve top marks in her NEWT exams and was, until her death, an employee of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Rumours have been circulating that Mrs Weasley was working on a top-secret case for the Ministry’s prosecution service and her death has been linked to the break-in of a high-security ministry vault yesterday afternoon (see above).

Ron finished reading and looked up at Harry who was attempting to avoid his gaze.

“What’s going on?” he asked. “What on earth does Hermione have to do with a break in at Gringotts?”

“Ron, we know quite a bit more about Hermione’s murder than I let on to you last night. I needed to wait for the right time to explain all of this. I hadn’t expected the news to break quite so quickly.”

He took a deep breath and continued.

“For the past year, we have been receiving worrying reports about the use of dark magic. They have been kept strictly confidential for fear that releasing them would create a panic. Only a handful of people, mainly heads of departments, including myself, knew of it. Gradually we built up a picture of what was going on. A gang of wizards had been formed, seemingly intent on continuing to cause misery but with their own purposes and agenda, and far more gruesome methods. We began working to uncover the identities of these people and we realised that these were not Death Eaters, as we first thought, but an entirely new group made up of relatively unknown witches and wizards.

About a month ago we received a tip-off from one of our undercover agents and we made an arrest of what we believe to be two key gang members. They have been kept in maximum security cells and the arrest was kept as quiet as possible, again to avoid panic and also to protect the people involved with the case. We knew that even though we had managed to track down two, there were others intent on continuing their work.”

“So what does Hermione have to do with all of this? She hasn’t been to work in months,” Ron interrupted.

“When the arrests were made, we needed the best prosecutor possible to build the case against them. Hermione was our greatest hope to prove our suspicions. She agreed to take the case but only if she could work from home and as long as you didn’t find out.”

“Why wouldn’t she want me to know?”

“Because she knew that if she told you, you wouldn’t let her take the case. But it was something she had to do.”

“I would have tried to understand,” said Ron, his eyes watering. “I always tried to understand when things were important to her. I just wish she had talked to me.”

Ginny reached out and gave his hand a comforting squeeze.

“She hated not telling you, Ron,” continued Harry. “But she was scared that the more people that knew about the case, the more danger we would be in. We knew that at some point, other members of the gang would attempt to find out who was involved in the case and would take revenge.”

“So, is that what happened then? These people, whoever they are, managed to discover that Hermione was involved and so they killed her as a warning?”

“Yes. Yesterday, I received a report that one of the ministry’s vaults had been broken in to. As yet, we have no idea how they breached security but it is being looked in to as part of the investigation. When I arrived at the vault, I was told the main theft had been of some confidential files relating to the case. In cases such as these it is our policy to keep all reports and files in one of the vaults. We know, after all, that it is possible to penetrate the ministry, whereas we believe it impossible to break in to Gringotts.”

“But it’s happened before,” said Ron. “What made you so sure that it wouldn’t happen again?”

“We just believed it to be the safest place,” said Harry. “Clearly, we were wrong.

So, the files which they took told them that Hermione was leading the case for the prosecution and she was the person they chose to target. As soon as I realised what had been taken, I contacted Hermione, telling her to look out for any sign of suspicious activity. That’s why she sent us her patronus “ she knew that she was in danger.”

Ron put his head in his hands. “I can’t believe I didn’t know any of this. How the hell could you have kept all of this from me?”

“Ron, we had to. Telling you would have put her in more danger.”

“No, because I could have protected her!” Ron shouted. “I could have made sure that I was here, instead of doing that bloody paper work. I could have stopped them. Why did you have the right to decide what I should and shouldn’t know about my own wife?”

“It wasn’t my decision, Ron,” Harry replied, attempting to keep his voice calm. “I would have told you but she was scared. She wanted to protect you.”

“Well she shouldn’t have done. And what about you? What part do you have in all of this?”

“What do you mean?”

“Those cuts, Harry. They were obviously intended for you, just like everything always is, and I want to know why.”

“Well, why do think? The injuries we saw on Hermione “ we’ve seen them before. This group have made it very clear that they have a target, and that target is me.”

Ron fell silent at this and Ginny suddenly stood up and became busy at the stove, apparently making breakfast.

After choking down some food, Ron tried to think of the things that needed doing. He had no idea where he was even supposed to start.

“When do you think they’ll let me have her body?” he asked Harry.

“I’m not sure. I’m going to have to go in to the office today though so I can find out. Are you going to be OK?”

“I think so. I just don’t know how I’m supposed to organise a funeral on my own.”

“Why don’t you go to your parents if you don’t want to be here? Rose will be missing you.”

Ron didn’t seem to hear the last part. Instead, he put his hand to his mouth. “Oh, Merlin!” he gasped. “Her parents “ they don’t even know. What am I going to say?”

“You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want. I can send someone else.”

“No, I couldn’t let someone else tell them. It’s just going to be hard to face them. They have no idea that anything has happened.”

“Do you want me to come?”

“No, I need to do this alone. You go to the office and I will visit the Grangers.”

Harry gave him a long look. “Fine, but you must promise me that after you’ve done that you’ll go to The Burrow to see your parents and Rose. She’s all you have left of Hermione. You can’t ignore that.”

Ron sighed. “I know, it’s just… hard,” he finished at last.

Harry gave his mate a quick pat on the shoulder and then left the room with Ginny. After a few moments, Ron stood up and realised he had better make himself look a bit more respectable before going to visit his parents-in-law, even if it was the last thing he felt like doing. He dug out a Muggle suit from his wardrobe and left the house. As soon as was outside the boundary, he Apparated to an alley near the Grangers’ home. He then made the short walk to their house. They had been to visit many times and so by now he knew his way around the Muggle suburb reasonably well. As he walked, he tried to think of what he could say to them. He knew that her parents had never fully understood the wizarding world “ he wondered if they would blame him. They probably should, he thought bitterly. If he had been a better husband, he could have protected her and he wouldn’t be having to do this.

When he reached the house, he hesitated for a moment in front of the door, before reaching out and pressing the doorbell. He heard the chime somewhere in the house and then, a minute later, footsteps came down the hall and Mrs Granger opened the door.

“Ron!” she exclaimed. “What a surprise. Come in.”

“Hello, Jean,” he replied, following her into the house. “Is Jack home?”

“Yes, he’s in the living room. So, how are you? Enjoying fatherhood? I suppose Hermione is at home with Rose? You really should have brought her. We do love to get the chance to play the doting grandparents!”

Ron said nothing to this. The words he had planned seemed to stick in his throat now that he was actually here.

“Would you like a cup of tea?” Mrs Granger asked, gesturing for him to sit down.

“Um, no thank you. I actually have some… bad news.”

Mrs Granger stopped her bustling at the tone of his voice. “What do you mean?”

“Well, yesterday, our home was broken in to and, Hermione was attacked.”

“Attacked?” Mr Granger, who was sitting in an armchair, interrupted. “What do you mean? Is she OK?”

“She’s…I mean…well…she’s dead.” Ron felt his tears returning as he watched his parent-in-laws’ faces change from smiles to looks of horror.

“Oh, god,” breathed Mr Granger. “What do you mean? How can this have happened? I thought you were magic “ why couldn’t you have stopped it?"

“I was at work. There was nothing I could do. I’m so sorry.” Ron was almost sobbing at this point.

Mrs Granger came and sat beside him. She put his arm around his shoulders, her own eyes shining with tears. “It’s OK, Ron. We know you would never have put her in danger. You just never expect to open the door to hear that your daughter is dead. We just need to understand.”

“I wish I could give you answers, but I don’t understand myself.”

“Where is Rose?” asked Mrs Granger.

“At my parents. I haven’t seen her yet. I don’t know if I can.”

“She is your daughter, Ron. She’s the last part of Hermione that we have left. You mustn’t let her go.”

“I know,” he choked. “I’m going to collect her this afternoon.”

“Will you bring her to see us?”

“Of course.”

Suddenly, Mr Granger spoke up, his voice broken, “Please, is there nothing you can tell us? I need to know what happened to her. Everyone always said she was a good witch “ how can that have changed?”

“It didn’t. She was the best witch I ever knew. No one could have done anything about what happened. I still don’t understand, but I will tell you what I know.”

So, for the next half an hour, Ron spoke, retelling the tale that Harry had shared with him the night before. He edited some details, avoiding telling them about Hermione’s injuries. When he had finished, Mrs Granger gave him a hug.

“It’s going to be hard for you, Ron; no one can deny that. But we will always be here for you. Hermione may be dead, but you are still our son-in-law and your beautiful daughter is our granddaughter. Please never forget that.”

“I won’t,” he replied and then added, “Thank you.”

Soon after, Ron left. He walked back down the street, waiting to find a safe place to Apparate. He was lost in own thoughts, trying to process everything the Grangers had been saying. It was for this reason, perhaps, that he didn’t hear the footsteps behind him or see the approaching shadows. Just as he turned into an alleyway, someone grabbed his arm from behind. He tried to shout but a second person used their hand to cover his mouth. He tried to use his other arm to get his wand but it too was grabbed and pinned behind his back.

A cloaked figure appeared in front of him, their face obscured by a hood. Ron saw a gleam of silver and then a knife was slashed across his face. The pain was immense, but there was nothing he could. Over and over again, the knife swept across his face and he could feel the blood dripping down his face.

This is it, he thought dully. I’m going to die, the same way as Hermione did.

But then an image of his daughter came into his mind and he felt a sudden sense of determination. His strength was failing due to the blood loss but he managed to kick out his attacker. The cloaked figure stumbled backwards. The one who was holding his arms, released his grip for a fraction of a second, but that was all the Ron needed. He wrenched his arms away and grabbed his wand from his pocket. Aiming another kick at one of his attackers, Ron focused on the first place he could think of and Disapparated. He barely had time to register his surroundings before he heard a shout and the world went black.




When he awoke, Ron found himself in a room that was almost completely white. As his surroundings gradually came in to focus, he realised he was in a hospital, presumably St Mungo’s. There were two figures in the room, talking in low voices. Neither of them seemed to notice that he was awake. He tried to speak but his throat was so dry that no sound came out. He saw a jug of water on the table next to him and attempted to sit up, but found himself too weak to do so. His movement, however, seemed to draw attention to the fact that he was awake and the other two occupants of the room immediately came over to him. One was Harry and the other was his mother, who gave him a big hug.

“Oh, Ron! We’ve been so worried about you. How are you feeling?”

“A bit weak,” he croaked. He gestured to the jug and his mother poured him a glass of water.

“How much do you remember?” Harry asked in a serious voice.

“Harry, not now! He needs to rest,” Mrs Weasley scolded.

“Molly, please, these could have been the same people who murdered Hermione. We need to know as much as we can about them.”

Ron gave his mum a reassuring pat as he managed to pull himself up in the bed. “I had been visiting Hermione’s parents and just before I Apparated, they ambushed me. I think there were about three of them. They had a knife and they-“

“Wait, this was done by a Muggle knife?” asked Harry.

“Yes.”

“Did they use any magic at all?”

“No, but they were all wearing cloaks, so I assumed they must have been wizards.”

“Did they speak at all?”

“No, they were completely silent. All I could think was that they were going to kill me, but then suddenly I realised I needed to fight back and I kicked out at one them, which seemed to distract the others giving me time to get away from them. All I could think about was The Burrow. I remember arriving and someone shouting but then nothing. What happened to me?”

“Well, I was at The Burrow with you mum when you arrived. You looked a complete mess and you had lost so much blood. When we realised you weren’t moving, we thought you were dead. We brought you straight here and the Healers managed to seal the cuts and get a blood replenishing potion in you. They say it may take a while to properly take affect though, which is why you might still be feeling week.”

Ron moved his hands up to his face, feeling for the cuts.

“There’s nothing there,” said Harry. “The Healers were able to get rid of them completely. The fact that it was a Muggle weapon rather than a curse helped.”

“So, when can I leave?”

“Soon. I have somewhere I want to take you.”

“No!” interrupted Mrs Weasley. “I’ve told you that I won’t let you. It’s the last thing he needs.”

“It’s exactly what he needs. I promised him, I would let him be involved. He can only understand the case if he sees it.”

“What?”

Harry took a deep breath. “Shortly after you were brought in here, I received another call. It seems that after you escaped, the attackers found another victim.”

Ron felt his heart rise in his throat. “Who?”

“We don’t know. From what we can gather she is a Muggle “ dressed in Muggle clothing and with no wand “ but we could find no identification on her at all. It has been reported to the Muggle police and that’s all we can do.”

“Does she have the same cuts as Hermione?” Ron asked, his voice trembling.

Harry nodded. “The crime scene is still in tact. I know you wanted to be informed as soon as we knew anything and I felt it was only fair to tell you about this.”

“I want to see her,” said Ron firmly.

“Are you sure?” asked Mrs Weasley. “You don’t have to if you’re not feeling strong enough.”

“I’m fine,” he replied. “I have to go, mum,” he pleaded. “I have to understand.”

“Fine, but you promise me that then you will come home to see your daughter.”

“OK,” he conceded, giving her a hug, before turning to Harry. “Can we go then?”

“Now?” he asked in surprise.

“Well, yes, if you’re feeling OK. I’ll just go and find the Healer.”

Half an hour later after some strong arguments with the Healer, Ron was allowed to leave and Harry side-along Apparated him to the sight of the most recent murder. They arrived a little distance away from the actual sight of the body.

“I wanted to give you time to prepare,” explained Harry. “You might get quite a shock when you see her.”

Ron said nothing and just followed him to where a group of Aurors were standing. They were in a deserted area, underneath a busy Muggle road. He could easily understand how someone could have been attacked here. When the Aurors saw them coming, they stepped aside and Ron was given his first view of the body.

“Oh, Merlin,” he whispered. “She looks just like…”

“Hermione,” Harry finished for him. “We don’t know how or why but somehow these people managed to attack and kill someone who looks almost exactly like Hermione.”

Ron studied the woman. She was lying sprawled on the floor. Trousers and a coat covered her arms and legs, but he could see the cuts on her face. She had bushy brown hair which was matted with blood. Her eyes held the glazed look of someone who had been killing with the killing curse.

“I don’t understand,” he said at last. “Why do they use Muggle methods for everything apart from the final curse?”

“I’ve been thinking about this. My guess is that they use Muggle methods for as long as possible, cutting in to their victims until they are close to death, but of course there is always a chance that they can be revived at this point and so the killing curse is their way of making sure the job gets done.”

“You mean, Hermione was let to bleed almost to death?”

“I think so, it’s impossible to know for sure.”

Ron shivered. “I just can’t imagine the pain she must have been in, knowing she was going to die. And I wasn’t even there to help her.”

“Ron, you have to stop blaming yourself! You have experienced these people; their methods are brutal “ there is nothing you could have done to save her.”

“I just can’t stop picturing her lying there in so much pain. I have to understand, Harry. Why would anyone want to kill her?”

“I don’t know, but we’re going to work it out somehow. I don’t think it’s a good idea for us to stay here anymore. Let’s get to The Burrow. Molly will be worried if we don’t get there soon.”

Harry insisted on side-along Apparating again, as he didn’t want Ron leaving any parts of himself behind, and so they left together for the Weasley home.
End Notes:
I love reviews so please let me know what you think of my first gauntlet attempt!
Chapter 2 by coolh5000
When Ron arrived at The Burrow, Molly began fussing as usual, though Ron realised that all he wanted to do was see Rose. She was sleeping in her cot in the living room and as soon as he set eyes on his precious baby, he felt a weight lift from his heart. She was his life, his reason for living. She had been the only thing that stopped him simply submitting to his attackers that day. She needed him and no matter what he would be there for her.

She woke up and began sniffling, so he lifted her out of the cot and rocked her until she fell asleep again. Seeing her perfectly formed, beautiful face reminded him so much of Hermione. He felt a wave of sadness as he realised that this would be the only child they would ever have and that she would be forced to grow up without her mother.

He gently laid her in the cot and returned to the kitchen to find Harry sitting at the kitchen table.

“I was wondering if you want to come to the office with me. I think it’s time I laid out the finer details of the case to you and it’s best to do it there.”

“Right, yes, I think that would be good.”

Perhaps sensing his hesitation, Harry said quickly, “You don’t have to. It can wait.”

“No, I think you’re right. If I ever want to find out who killed Hermione, I need to face up to the facts of the case.”

“Maybe you should rest for a while?” suggested Molly.

“I’d rather go now. Every time I try to rest, all I can think about is Hermione and I end up feeling less rested than before. I need to keep busy, mum. It’s the only way I can deal with it.”

“I can understand that,” Molly replied. “When Fred died, it was all I could do to get from one day to the next. It will get easier, Ron, eventually.”

Ron gave his mum a quick kiss and then followed Harry to the fireplace so they could Floo to the Ministry.

When they arrived, they headed straight to the lift, Ron trying to forget how he had felt the last time he was here. They were both silent, unable to think of a thing to say. The lift stopped with a chime when they reached the right floor and Ron followed Harry through the familiar maze of corridors and desks to his office. His eyes glanced instinctively to his own desk; someone had clearly taken over his duties as the `in` tray, which had been overflowing when he left, was almost empty. He turned his head away and concentrated on guiding his feet in the right direction.

As they approached the office, Harry silently cast an unlocking charm and the two entered. Ron had been in this room many times and he was familiar with the set up. One wall was completely empty, and was used by Harry to create a bigger picture of a case. There was a large desk in the centre, almost all of which was covered in paper, and filing cabinets lined one of the remaining walls.

Looking at the case wall today, Ron saw that it had clearly been in use the last time Harry was in the office. There were several photographs and bits of parchment pinned up. Harry took a quick look and then waved his wand over the display. Several things rearranged themselves and two new pictures appeared. Ron was startled to realise that one was Hermione, and the other was the woman he had seen earlier that day.

“Are these all the victims?” he asked, staring at the pictures. There were at least twenty.

“Not all of them “ some are suspects. There have been eighteen murders so far.” He waved his wand again and some of the pictures glowed. “All pure-bloods except for two: Hermione and our unnamed Muggle. That’s what makes the last two murders so confusing. They seem to have completely changed their target.”

“And all these people died in the same way?”

“Yes, all showed the same injuries but had the final blow given by the killing curse.”

Ron walked up to some of the photos and studied them. They had all been taken at the scene of the crime and showed the victim’s injuries in full detail. He felt an overwhelming sadness come over him. All these people were dead; they had all left behind families to mourn for them. They were all put through terrible pain before their killers finally delivered the curse against which there was no defence.

“I thought this was supposed to stop,” he said at last. “I thought this is why we fought all those years ago, to stop more people dying, and now it seems that it’s made no difference. This shouldn’t have happened.”

“I agree, Ron, but we are working to make sure we stop this now, before anyone else gets hurt.”

“So, who are the people you have in custody then? Who are the people responsible for this?”

Harry waved his wand again and three other pictures began to glow.

“Stewart Ackerley, Owen Cauldwell and Eleanor Branstone,” Harry rattled off. “All Muggle-borns. They all attended Hogwarts “ they were sorted in our fourth year “ a Ravenclaw and two Hufflepuffs. Didn’t stand out particularly at school. They obtained reasonable marks and seem to have been relatively popular. However, during the war they developed a deep sense of resentment against pure-bloods, for the reasons you might expect. None of them were allowed to attend Hogwarts during the year of the war. Branstone and Ackerley registered with the Muggle-born registration committee and spent most of the year in Azkaban. Cauldwell’s mother refused to open the door to the Death-eaters and so they blew up the house, killing her and her husband, as well as Owen’s sister. Owen, himself was in hiding at this point but after learning of the deaths of his family attempted to get revenge and was very nearly killed himself. He was then thrown in to Azkaban along with his former classmates and it seems that it is there that the three of them began to form their ideas.

All three of them suffered greatly, it can’t be denied, but they got it in to their heads that because Muggle-borns were treated so badly by Voldemort’s regime, they should be given extra rights at the end of the war. However the Ministry instead focused on equality, making sure that no one was favoured by the new reforms. Not satisfied with this, the trio seem to have taken matters in to their own hands, punishing the people they see as being responsible for their hardships “ the pure-bloods. Needless to say that not all the witches and wizards they have murdered were involved in the war but them it’s one and the same.”

“So, how have you tracked them down? Are all three in custody?”

“No, we have Ackerley and Cauldwell but Branstone is still eluding us.”

“How do you know she’s involved? In fact, come to think of it how did you track any of them down?”

“We started using Muggle techniques which they hadn’t banked on. We found traces of DNA at the scene of one of the murders and we were able to trace them to the two boys. We obtained a warrant for their wands and after tracking them down, we were able to discover that the wands had been used to cast the killing curse. We arrested them and have had them in custody ever since.

We discovered Branstone’s involvement through several letters found when searching the boys’ apartment but clearly by this point she had already caught wind of the arrest we had made and has gone in to hiding. The break-in at Gringotts has shown she is clearly a very powerful witch. We’re doing our best to track her down, but it seems she’s continuing to put their plans in to actions with a group of followers.”

“Do you have any idea who these followers are?”

“We don’t have any firm ideas at the moment but we’re assuming that they’re Muggle-borns, possibly ones who were treated equally badly during the war or ended up in Azkaban.”

“I want to see them,” said Ron suddenly.

“What?”

“I want to see them, to talk to them. I’m an Auror, it’s perfectly within the rules for me to interview them.”

“It’s not when you’re personally involved in the case.”

“Not directly “ these two aren’t the ones that killed Hermione and we have no evidence that they are linked to her. I just want to talk to them. I won’t let them think they can get away with this.”

“But, Ron, as far as we know the plan to murder Hermione happened after they’d been arrested “ they probably don’t know anything about it.”

“I don’t care; I want to see them.”

“Fi-“ Harry began, but was suddenly interrupted by a loud knock at the door.

“Yes?” he called out. The door opened and another Auror entered.

“Sir, you said you wish to be informed of any further developments, and well, there’s been another death.”

“The same as the others?”

“No, not exactly.” The Auror handed him a file. Harry took one glance and then said,

“Right, let’s go. Ron?” He looked at his friend.

“Yes I’m coming, let me see the address.”

“No, I’ll take you; you’re still not strong enough to Apparate.” He turned back to the Auror, “Assemble a team to join us there.” Then he strode from the room leaving Ron to follow.

“Harry,” he called as he followed him to the lifts. “What exactly is going on? Who’s been killed?”

“No one,” replied Harry shortly. “It’s a suicide. I don’t know who.”

The lift journey passed in silence and as soon as they had reached a safe place, Harry grabbed Ron’s arm and they Apparated.

They arrived outside a small, dingy looking house, which clearly had not been lived in for a long time. The white paint on the fence was peeling, the garden was overgrown and at least two of the windows had been boarded up.

“A Muggle heard noise coming from inside but she knew no one has been living here in at least a year so she contacted the Muggle Police. They found a wand in the house and alerted us. We’ve asked them to leave the scene exactly as they found it. Shall we?”

He pushed open the creaky wooden gate and went up the path. The front door had obviously once been a bright red but now it was faded and dull. Harry pushed it and it opened easily.

Ron was shocked as he looked around. It was hard to believe that there was ever anyone living here. The floors had been stripped to the bare floorboards and paper was peeling from the walls and ceiling, so much so that at some points he could see the bricks. He felt a prickle of unease at the back of his neck and withdrew his wand. Beside him, Harry did the same.

They made their way cautiously down the hallway, peering in to the rooms on either side of them as they went. Harry took a door on the left while Ron tentatively pushed open the one of his right. It took him only a fraction of a second to register his surroundings. The room was just as dingy as the rest of the house, though the windows were at least whole. The most distinguished feature however was the woman hanging from the ceiling, a rope around her neck.

“Harry,” he called out, unable to take his eyes of the body, which was swaying gently, no doubt disturbed by his entry in to the room. “Come here.”

He heard footsteps and then Harry entered the room behind him and swore loudly.

“Disturbing isn’t it?” said Ron.

“It’s not that,” said Harry. “This is Eleanor Branstone. It looks like we’ve found our missing suspect and she’s no longer in any position to answer our questions.”

Ron started to reply but couldn’t stop focusing on the body.

“Maybe we should take her down,” he suggested.

“We can’t; we have to wait until the team have taken records of the scene.

“Well then, can we go somewhere else?”

“Sure, outside?”

Ron nodded and followed Harry back out in to the front garden. The team of Aurors had just Apparated in to the street and Harry went over and had a quick word with them before sending them in to the house.

“Right, what were you going to say before?” he asked when he returned.

“I was just wondering, why would she do this? Everything was going her way. She managed to hide herself completely while still carrying out their plans. Why would she choose now to end it all?”

Harry was frowning. “I just don’t know. This has raised so many questions. I think you were right. I think it’s time to talk to Ackerley and Cauldwell.

If we tell them about this, it might make them break their silence. Are you ready to go back to the Ministry?”

“Yes, though I suppose you’re going to assist on side-along again?”

“Of course.” Harry took his arm and span deliberately on the spot. Their surroundings reformed as the Ministry of Magic and they headed over to the lift.

“Are they being kept in the dungeon cells?” Ron asked, surprised. “I thought they would have been moved to Azkaban by now.”

“We can’t. The imprisonment reforms passed last month mean only criminals who have actually had a trial and been convicted can be sent to Azkaban, in order to prevent unfair imprisonments. The Ministry’s cells aren’t ideal but it’s all we can do.”

“I see; are they being held together?”

No, separately. I was going to suggest interviewing them together though?”

“That’s fine, as long as we don’t give them time alone.”

The pair reached the dungeons and went through the windy corridor to the cells. The guards on the door checked their id and then led them to an interview room, before leaving to get the prisoners. When they arrived they were sat in two chairs and immediately magic chains bound them in place.

As soon as they were bound, Cauldwell began to speak. “How long do you intend to keep us here? This is an invasion of our rights.”

When Harry replied, he spoke calmly, “You have already been informed that you can request legal representation at any time. We have received a court order from the Wizengamot to hold you here until the date of your trial, as you pose a high risk of failing to return when summoned. But that is not the reason we are here.”

“What do you want then?” sneered Cauldwell. Ackerley remained silent.

“We thought you would like to know that Eleanor Branstone is dead.”

Ackerley paled visibly at this and sat up as if to speak, but Cauldwell interrupted.

“And why would we care about that?”

“I believe the three of you were friends.”

“Not particularly.” Cauldwell sounded completely disinterested, but it was Ackerley that Ron watched. He was looking almost ill and fidgeting against the chains.

“Well, I found that surprising when you were in the same house at Hogwarts, not to mention the fact that you shared an Azkaban cell for almost a year.”

“We were little more than casual acquaintances. I don’t know why you thought otherwise.”

“Look, Cauldwell, we’re not going to take any more messing around from you. We have enough evidence to put you in Azkaban for a very long time and this time, you’ll deserve everything you get.”

Cauldwell spat at him. “You’re scum “ all of you. We suffered like hell during the war no one did anything about it.”

Harry stood up, his calmness gone, his face an angry red.

“How dare you! Do you even know who I am? Do you know what I and countless others did to stop Voldemort? Did you know that at least three of the Pure-bloods you murdered were active members of the light side during the war?”

There was silence.

“Guards,” shouted Harry and the guard who had been standing outside entered the room. “You can return them to their cells. This was clearly a waste of time.”

“Wait,” interrupted Ron. “Leave Ackerley.”

Harry gave him a curious look but nodded his consent and the guard unchained Cauldwell and gripped his arm firmly. The young prisoner turned and glared at his companion. “Say nothing,” he hissed.

As soon as the door had been closed, Harry sat back down, but Ron gestured for him not to speak. Instead, he began to talk, his voice quiet and gentle.

“You were close to Eleanor, weren’t you?” The man said nothing, instead glancing to the door.

“It’s alright, you don’t have to worry. No one else will know what we talk about. Now, tell me about Eleanor.”

“There’s nothing to say,” Ackerley muttered.

“Please, Stewart. She’s dead “ don’t you want to bring the people responsible to justice? If she was really your friend, if you really cared for her, then you would talk to us.”

Ackerley’s head fell to his chest.

“Fine,” he said, his voice so quiet it could be barely be heard. “I’ll tell you, but only for her, only because of Eleanor.”

“Thank you,” said Ron. “Your help means a lot to us.”

And so Ackerley began to talk.

“You have to understand,” he started, “how hard it was for us. I know you went through a tough time but what we experienced was hell. When I heard of the Muggle-born Registration Committee, I was naïve. I had no reason not to register. But as soon as I arrived at the Ministry my wand was taken from and snapped in front of me. I was told that I illegally obtained my magic and they demanded to know where it came from. When I tried to say that I had been born with it, I was accused of being a liar and sent to Azkaban without anything remotely representing a trial. You were seventeen in that year of the war weren’t you?”

Ron nodded.

“I was thirteen. I was about to start my fourth year of Hogwarts and instead I was sent to prison.”

He shivered a little. “It was like hell. I was taken to a cell, in which there were about ten Muggle-borns. It was there that I met Eleanor. I had known her a little at Hogwarts but she was in a different house which meant we never had much to do with each other. But in that prison, she was the only thing that kept me going.

We were not the youngest there, far from it. There were children of eleven who had received their Hogwarts letters and then just a month later been told they had obtained magic illegally. Each day we huddled on the stone floor of our cell, desperately hoping that today wouldn’t be the day that a Dementor entered our cell and dragged us out to meet our deaths. Every day you could hear the screams echoing the prison as the Dementors chose the next victim to have their soul taken away from them. Every day they patrolled outside the cell, sucking the happiness from our minds.

I was so sure that I was going to die. I could no longer remember a time when I had ever been happy. I began to believe the things they had told me. I believed I had no right to be a wizard.

Eleanor and I would talk. We would spend hours every day just talking to get rid of the feelings of despair. We learnt everything about each other. I told her how I had never fit in anywhere until I discovered magic. She told me how she was the top of her class in Ravenclaw and how much she loved everything she had learnt. We knew almost everything to know about each other.

I don’t know how long we had been there when Owen arrived. He was in a terrible state; worse than those of us who had already been there for months. Eleanor and I took him in to our corner. He told us of what they had done to his family, of the devastation he found when he returned to his house. It was as if all the life had gone from him. The Dementors couldn’t touch him because there was almost nothing left of him to touch and what he did have was so consumed by thoughts of revenge that it could not be taken away from him.”

Ackerley paused for a moment and Ron took the chance to step in.

“I understand how tough it must have been for you. But we won, you survived, you got out. Why would you risk all of that? Because you must have known that eventually you would be caught.”

“Do you know how long it took for us to be released at the end of the war?”

Ron shook his head.

“A month. For a month we could hear the shouts of victory. We watched as the same people that had imprisoned us were themselves imprisoned and every day we assumed they would simply open the door and let us out. But no one came, and we waited and waited, the Dementors still there, still gradually taking any of our remaining hope. Then suddenly one day, we were free. There was no apology, no real explanation. We were just told that an administrative error had delayed our release. We had been kept in that hell because of an administrative error.” His tone was incredulous.

“As we left the prison we were given money “ enough to purchase a new wand and a set of robes. Then we were expected to leave. Being out in the real world again was terrifying. We had no idea of the date, of what had happened while we had been locked away. All we were told was that it was over. When we finally did discover how long we had been imprisoned we realised all three of us had missed our birthdays. We had all turned fourteen in Azkaban.”

“Where did you go?”

“As far as we knew, Eleanor and I still had families. Owen didn’t and so he came with us. We went to see her parents first and then mine. When my mother opened the door to find me there, she burst in to tears. I felt nothing. I couldn’t feel anything. It was impossible to think that I would ever feel anything again.

That evening, the three of us went to see Owen’s family. We had agreed when we were imprisoned, that if we were ever released we would stick together, and that meant being Owen’s support when he visited his parent’s graves for the first time.

It was dark by the time we reached the grave yard. We found the graves and for a while the three of us just stood in silence, each waiting to feel something.

As we left, we noticed someone else in the graveyard, standing in the shadows just beyond the gate. He was still a boy, a few years older than us. He told us that he knew how much we had suffered and that he, and others, wanted to make right the injustices suffered by Muggle-borns. He wanted us to join them; he said it was our chance for revenge.”

“What did you say?”

“No. Eleanor and I, we didn’t want it, not then, and Owen, yes it was something he would have wanted once but by then he had lost the energy to care. We were only fourteen; we weren’t ready then.”

“So, when did you become ready?”

“Last year, eight years after the war ended. We found him this time and we offered to do whatever he asked. He didn’t hesitate to accept.”

Ron took a deep breath. Suddenly he felt closer than ever to understanding who was truly behind Hermione’s death.

“Who was it?” he asked quietly. “Who is in charge?”

“Terry Boot.”

“No!” interrupted Harry and Ron felt a wave of shock pass over him.

“Are you sure?” he asked urgently.

“Yes. Eleanor had known him from Hogwarts and Owen and I recognised him a bit.”

“So, what did he ask you to do?”

“He said he wanted to take revenge on the people that had caused him and all the other Muggle-borns so much pain.”

At this point, Harry suddenly stood up. “Will you be OK here?” he asked Ron. Ron nodded and Harry strode from the room leaving Ron and Stewart alone.

“So, tell me,” said Ron. “Why did you only decide you wanted revenge eight years after the war was over?”

“Because nothing got better for us. After the war, we returned to Hogwarts and we finished our education, but everything was so hard. Being in that place almost killed us. We could feel nothing. And still there were people who looked down on us, who made snide remarks about our inability. I just got so tired. I got sick of trying to fit in and so I decided I’d had enough. No one made it easy for us to get ahead. I would go for job interviews and be rejected even when I was the only candidate. Things were supposed to get better for Muggle-borns but it was still just as hard as it ever had been.”

“But things did get better. What about my wife? She was able to get a job in the ministry.”

“Your wife is known as one of the saviours of the wizarding world.”

“No, she was known as one of the saviours of the wizarding world.”

“What do you mean?”

“My wife was murdered two days ago. She was cut until she almost bled to death and then she was finished off using the killing curse.”

Something in Ackerley’s eyes suddenly showed recognition and Ron saw that there was fear in his eyes. He realised with a start that he was scared of him, of what he might do.

“I had no idea. We couldn’t have done. We’ve been here.”

“I know, but now do you see why I have to understand. In the same way that you want justice for Eleanor, I want justice for Hermione.”

“There is not much more I can tell you. For a while Eleanor and I spoke about dropping out of the magical world completely. We imagined living our lives together as Muggles. It all seemed so simple. It was so natural that we would be together.”

“Did you love her?”

“I don’t know. It’s hard to imagine love after you have spent a year being gradually starved of imagine. I cared for her and I think she cared for me. I could certainly never have imagined doing anything in my life without her.”

“So, why didn’t you follow your plan?”

“Owen. He had always wanted revenge for his family and he persuaded us that it was our right to get back at those people who had led to our misery. So we contacted Terry and he took us in to hiding with him.”

“What was your role in the murders?”

“We used the killing curse. I never saw Terry use magic. He would always be there though. He would cut them using a knife. It always made me feel ill to watch. Eleanor hated it. She never wanted to be there.”

“So, how were you able to use the killing curse when the thought of cutting them made you feel ill?”

“I always wondered that. We had been told it required hate to cast the curse but I never felt hate towards my victims. I think that usually by the time we cast the final curse, they had bled so much that it would be impossible to save them. You could see their pain. Ending it quickly was almost the kind thing to do.”

“Did Terry ever explain the cuts?”

“No, we never spoke very much. I think it was to do with Harry Potter. He really hated him, though we never understood why. We never knew anything about him in fact. He never said what had happened to his family, or him, during the war. He just expected us to do what he said.”

The door opened suddenly and Harry returned. “I need to talk to you.” he said to Ron.

“Fine, just one more minute.”

Harry left the room.

“Thank you for telling us all of this. It means so much to me.”

“Do you think I could go to Eleanor’s funeral?”

“I don’t know. This isn’t strictly speaking my case, but I will try for you.”

“Thank you.”

At Ron’s signal the guard who had been waiting outside returned to the room and took Ackerley back to his cell, leaving Ron to talk to Harry.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“We have nothing on Terry Boot, absolutely nothing. None of our files make any reference to him or his family and what happened to them during the war. Have you managed to get anything?”

“No, it seems he kept very much to himself. The only thing he said was that he seemed to hate you.”

“But he supported me. He was in DA; he helped us fight. I don’t understand.”

“Harry, I was thinking we could go to Hogwarts. If anyone knows what happened to Terry, it will be McGonagall.”

“Perhaps you’re right. But are you sure you want to go there? It might be hard for you.”

“I think I’ll be fine. I’ll go and send an owl to McGonagall asking if we can visit tomorrow morning. It’s probably a bit late now.”

“Fine, are you staying at The Burrow this evening?”

“I think so. You’d better be getting back to Ginny. I’ll use the Floo.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course; I’ll see you tomorrow.”

The men parted and Ron went to send his owl before returning to The Burrow.
End Notes:
I hope you liked this chapter - I would love it if you were to let me know with a review :)
Chapter 3 by coolh5000
The next morning Harry called at The Burrow early. “Are you ready?” he asked once he had greeted Ron.

“Yep, McGonagall said we could go in at anytime as she has a free morning. I’ll just go and say goodbye to Rose.”

He went back in to the living room and picked up his daughter, giving her a big kiss. “I’ll see you later, Rose. Be good for grandma.” Then, after giving his mother a hug, he and Harry left.

He Apparated to Hogwarts without Harry’s assistance, assuring him that he was fine. He arrived just outside the gates and stared up at the castle. He felt a pang in his heart. He hadn’t realised quite how important this place had been to him. It reminded him so much of Hermione. He had never been here without her.

They walked up to the castle in silence, Harry seeming to sense that Ron wanted to be left to his own thoughts. When they reached the Entrance Hall, they continued up the staircase to the Headmistress’ office. She had given Ron the password the night before and so they entered without any problems. At the top of the spiral staircase, Harry knocked and a familiar voice called out,

“Come in.”

The two men entered and McGonagall stood to greet them. Her face was solemn. “Oh, Ron,” she said, “I heard about Hermione and well, I am so sorry. I know teachers should never have favourites but she was always so gifted.”

“Thank you,” Ron replied stiffly, still hating to hear Hermione talked of in the past tense.

“We’re actually here on Ministry business, Professor,” he said, quickly changing the subject.

“Oh, right. What can I help you with? Would you like a seat?”

They all sat down and Harry cleared his throat.

“We wanted to know what you can tell us about Terry Boot and what happened to him and his family during the war.”

The Professor’s face clouded over. “Did you never hear about his parents?” she asked.

“No, are they dead?”

“No, they are still alive but they live in a condition very similar to that of Neville’s parents.”

Ron and Harry gasped. “How awful for them and for him,” said Harry. “How did it happen?”

McGonagall hesitated. “I am really surprised that you do not already know this story. I am not altogether sure that I am the right person to be telling you.”

“Please, Professor, it is very important. We think he may have had something to do with Hermione’s death.”

“Very well then. On the day the three of you broke in to the Ministry of Magic, Terry Boot was there for his hearing with the Muggle-born Registration Committee, accompanied by his Muggle parents. At the time when you aided the escape of a group of Muggle-borns, Terry and his parents were in another waiting room. After the Ministry had been sealed and the Death Eaters realised that a group of Muggle-borns had escaped, they decided to make an example of those who had not been so lucky, to show what the new regime was really capable of.”

“You mean Terry?” asked Ron quietly.

“Yes. Instead of holding his hearing and sending him to Azkaban, they made him sit to chained to the chair in the courtroom while his parents were tortured in front of him. They used the cruciatus curse over and over again, while Terry sat powerless to help them. They stopped just as his parents were on the brink of death, deciding it would be altogether worse for Terry to know that his parents were alive but insane, and then they sent him to Azkaban.”

Ron and Harry sat in complete shock. They had known that the Death Eaters were capable of terrible things but this was worse than anything they had ever heard.

“Terry spent his time in his Azkaban not knowing what had happened to them. It was only when he was finally released that he discovered that somehow they had been taken to St Mungo’s. They have been cared for by the Healers there ever since. As far as I know, there is no chance of recovery.”

“What about Terry? Where is he now?”

“I don’t know. After the war I visited him and asked if he would like to return to Hogwarts. He told me that he did not think he could as he could no longer perform magic.”

“Did you believe him? Do you think he has lost his magic?”

“I can only believe what I am told and certainly the trauma he endured could have led to the loss of his magic. Or else, he simply did not want to be associated with our world any more.”

“Thank you, Professor,” said Ron. “That confirms some of what I have already been told.”

“I’m glad I could help, though I really do hope that he was not involved in Hermione’s murder.”

“Unfortunately,” replied Ron, “it is beginning to look more and more like he is.”

McGonagall looked grave at this news. “I do hope you will remember what I have told you when you do find him.”

“He killed my wife, Professor. I don’t know that I can promise him sympathy.”

With that, Harry and Ron departed.

“So, now we know for sure that it is Terry and why he has been doing this,” said Harry. “We just need to find him.”

Ron noticed that a dark look had come in to Harry’s eyes, one he had seen so many times before.

“Harry,” he said seriously, “I can see what you’re thinking and I want you to stop.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” replied Harry.

“Yes you do; you’re blaming yourself and I won’t let you. You could never have known what was going to happen that day. You did what you thought was the right thing at the time. You were trying to save people.”

“Yes and it seems that whenever I try to save someone, someone else ends up dead! How can you even bare to even look at me? It’s my fault, Ron. It’s my fault Hermione died. If I wasn’t so bloody stupid, Terry Boot’s parents would never have had to suffer that way. And he wouldn’t have lost his magic and gone mad. And then Her…Hermione would still be alive!” His voice broke at the end and Ron put his arm around his shoulder.

“It wasn’t your fault, mate. You did what you did years ago and none of us could ever have predicted that this would happen. You said yourself that Hermione was a clever witch, but even she couldn’t have foreseen how much danger she was in.”

Harry shrugged. “I just don’t know.”

Ron didn’t reply, unsure how to, especially as part of him still blamed himself for not being there.

“We need to find out where he is,” said Harry, suddenly turning back to the job.

“We may have to talk to Ackerley again. I think he would tell us.”

“Unless it’s under fidelius.”

“There’s no point in thinking about that yet. Listen, I think I’m going to go home for a bit. We can see Ackerley this afternoon. I just need a bit of a rest.”

“Do you want me to come?” Harry asked concernedly.

“No, I think I just need to be alone for a while. I’ve barely had time to stop and think in the last two days.”

“OK, then I’ll see you at the Ministry at about two?”

Ron nodded and, as the pair reached the area beyond the gates, he turned on the spot and Apparated.

When Ron’s new surroundings materialised, he found himself outside his and Hermione’s house. Or rather his house now.

She had loved this place. It was surrounded by green fields and countryside. There was a small village just down the road where they could go if they ever wanted a walk, but otherwise they were completely alone. But as Hermione had said, “Why do we need to be surrounded by people? We can Apparate wherever we want.”

Ron opened the front gate and wandered in to the house. He went in to the front room, where they had their large fireplace. He smiled sadly at the family photograph hanging over the fireplace. It had been taken just after Rose’s birth. Hermione sat in one of the comfy armchairs, Rose in her arms. She was smiling at the camera but every so often she would look down at the baby to adjust the blankets, or turn to Ron and smile. Ron himself stood behind, his hand on her shoulder. His grin showed everything about how he was feeling. He kept sneaking a glance at his baby, as if not really believing that she was real.

Ron couldn’t believe how much had changed since that photo. He looked away, unable to stop the tears forming in his eyes. He went in to the kitchen, which they had modelled on the kitchen of The Burrow. Hanging above the stove, they even had their very own family clock, a present from his parents. Now though, he couldn’t bring himself to look at it, not wanting to see the place to which he knew Hermione’s arrow would be pointing.

Leaving the kitchen, he climbed the stairs and went down the hall to Rose’s nursery. It was painted pink and white, with a beautiful wooden cot, given to them by Hermione’s parents. They hadn’t known until the birth that Rose was to be a girl and so Ron had spent almost all night and the day after the birth, painting and finding furniture for the room. He picked up the two cuddly bunny rabbits he had bought in Diagon Alley, one big and one small. He had given them Hermione in hospital, telling her they were a mummy and baby rabbit. She had been so happy when she had come home and seen what he had done to the nursery. They had spent all night in there, just talking and watching Rose sleep.

They had agreed that they both wanted more children. They had waited a while after their marriage; Hermione didn’t want to affect her career prospects, but after the birth of Rose, Hermione admitted she had never been happier and would love to have a whole brood.

He closed the door and the nursery and crossed to the bedroom. However, when he reached the door he found himself unable to go in. This had been their room, how could he ever face sleeping in the large bed without her. He turned away and his eyes fell on the closed door of the study. He thought of the last time he had been in there and what he had learnt since about how she had died. Suddenly, he felt sick.

He ran to the bathroom and wretched in to the toilet. He looked at his face in the mirror. He was so pale. How could he possibly ever live a normal life again? In the last two days, he had become so caught up in trying to catch the murderer that he had never taken a moment to think and now that he had, the thoughts were torturing him.

He stripped off his clothes and climbed in to the shower, turning it up to a scalding temperature. He stood under the pouring water, allowing his tears to mix in with the flow. Steam hit the glass door of the shower, misting up the window. He thought of the times when he was younger and would stand in the shower at home, writing his name in the steam on the window. How Ron wished he was back there now, with his whole life ahead of him. He would make everything so different.

He missed her so much. People had often told him that they thought them to be a strange pair, always bickering. He, himself, remembered the time when he thought she would be better off with Harry than with him. But somehow, they had worked. They had needed each other. But now she had left him to work alone.

Ron climbed out of the shower and redressed. It had made him feel calmer somehow, like he had washed away all his problems. He looked at his watch; it was almost time to meet Harry. Ron felt a renewed determination. He had promised that he would find Hermione’s killer and he wasn’t going to let her down now he was so close.

It was time to find Terry Boot.

Ron left the house and Apparated to the Ministry. Harry was waiting in the Atrium and together they went straight down to the ministry cells where Ackerley was stil being held. As they walked, Ron said to Harry,

“Ackerley asked if he would be allowed to attend Branstone’s funeral. I said I’d have to check with you.”

“It’s not really up to me. The Wizengamot have ordered for him to be held in protective custody “ it would be up to them.”

“I think we should try, though. It’s only because of him that we have been able to discover Terry’s involvement.”

“You mustn’t forget that he is a criminal though, Ron. He as good as confessed yesterday. He will almost certainly be sent back to Azkaban. They won’t look kindly on someone who has admitted casting the killing curse, no matter how sad his story.”

“I know. I just wish that none of this had to happen. After the things he told me yesterday, it is so clear that he never really wanted to hurt people. He hated having to do it. Azkaban is the place that caused him to be like this and now it seems he’s going to end up straight back there. The least we could do is to allow him the chance to say goodbye.”

“Well, as I say, it’s up to the Wizenmagot, but I will put the case to them, as soon as this is finished.”

They had reached the cells and Harry told the guard who it was they wished to see and they were led to the interview room. After a few minutes, Ackerley was brought in and chained to the chair.

“Hello, Stewart,” said Ron. Ackerley said nothing.

“We need to talk to you about Terry Boot.”

“What about Eleanor? Can I go to the funeral?”

“We’re going to put your case to the Wizenmagot. But first, we need to know where Terry is.”

“I don’t know. Whenever he needed us, he came to see us. He never said where he was living and we never asked. He was always so secretive.”

“Did he ever talk about his parents?”

“No, we knew nothing about him.”

Ron sighed. “Thank you, Stewart. I will make sure we let you know about the funeral.”

With that, he and Harry stood and left the room.

“Well, that was a waste of time,” said Harry.

“It was the only lead we had.”

“So, what are we going to do now?”

“I don’t know.” Ron fell silent, thinking back to everything they had learnt in the last few days, including everything McGonagall had told them about Terry.

“Harry,” he said suddenly, “what about his parents’?”

“What about them?”

“What if he’s there? It was their torture which led him to this; he would probably have been driven to the place that reminded him most of them.”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s the best hope we’ve got. This, morning, when I was thinking of Hermione, the only thing I wanted to do was go home. Because home is one of the last places I have to remember her. What if it’s the same for Terry?”

“Right; we’d better find out where they lived then. I’ll Floo McGonagall “ she should know.”

They arrived in the Atrium and Harry went in to a side-room to use one of the communication fireplaces. When he emerged, he was clutching a piece of parchment.

“The Boots’ address,” he said. “Though McGonagall warned me that it was a long shot. The house was almost gutted by a fire, believed to have been started by Death Eaters. She thought it was unlikely that anyone could be living there.”

“Which makes it all the more probable that he is. After all, no one is going to think that someone is going to be living in a burnt out house. Can I see the address?”

Harry handed him the parchment and Ron looked at the address for a few minutes until he was confident that he had memorised it.

“Right, let’s go,” he said.

Harry nodded and the pair turned on the spot and Apparated.

They arrived outside what had obviously once been a house. However, it was missing most of the roof, and what was left of the front door was hanging from a single hinge. Ron felt a sinking feeling. It was worse than he could have hoped. It was unlikely that anyone was living here.

Though it seemed hopeless, the two men walked up to the front door and into the hall. The walls were black from smoke and there seemed to be little of anything left. At the far end of the hall there was a door which seemed to have almost completely survived. Ron started to walk towards it, but he still felt that it was unlikely they would find anything.

He pushed the door open and stared in to the gloomy room. In the very middle of it there stood a table on which there rested a black notebook and quill. Behind the table there was a chair, and on the chair sat Terry Boot. Almost unrecognisable, his hair was long and matted and his eyes seemed almost dead. As soon as he saw him, Ron quickly withdrew his wand, but Terry didn’t say anything. He simply looked at Ron, his hands resting on the table.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “I’m not going to do anything. I’ve been waiting for you, actually. You took longer than I thought.”

“How did you know we would find you?” asked Ron, vaguely aware of Harry entering the room behind him. Ron’s attention was almost completely focused on the man in front of him. This was it; this was the person who had killed his Hermione.

“Well when Eleanor killed herself, I had a feeling you’d be able to crack Stewart. He really did love her, no matter what he said. I imagine that he blamed me for her death. He had always been a bit more reluctant than others and I suppose he saw this as his chance to get out. Also, Eleanor, Owen and Stewart are not the only ones. I thought that at some point, someone would betray me”

“So if you knew we were coming, why are you still here?”

Terry shrugged. “I thought about running. Part of me wanted to go the same way as Eleanor. The idea of being constantly in hiding did not appeal to me. But then I went to visit my parents. And I realised how selfish of me it would be to run away or to kill myself. Because even though I will now spend many years in Azkaban, I can at least be there for them if I am ever released.”

“Why did you do it, Terry?”

Terry picked up the black book. “It is all in here. I thought it would be easier to write down than to discuss. I have no doubt that in here you shall find all the evidence you need. It was I who was responsible for cutting the pure-bloods until they were as good as dead and I was the one who ordered whoever I wished to cast the final curse.”

“What about Hermione? How did you discover her involvement?” Ron asked.

“One thing I have learnt about wizards is that they are incredibly arrogant. They do not believe it could be possible for a Muggle to be better them in any way. Since I lost my magic, it is something I have played to my advantage.

On the day I broke in to Gringotts, I pretended to be a Muggle parent wanting to set up an account for my wizarding child. At the bank, I asked to be shown a vault and once I was in the cart with the goblin, I simply used Muggle means to render him unconscious. From there it was an easy matter to navigate to the particular vault I required, which is not, I think you should know, particularly well-guarded. I used the unconscious goblin’s finger to gain access to the vault and once inside I was able to find what I wanted.”

“But why go to such lengths? I get the impression you don’t care about either of the people we have imprisoned. Why did you kill Hermione?” This was Harry, taking over from Ron.

“It had very little to do with the case. Breaking in to Gringotts was simply about proving my ability to do so. Finding out that Hermione was part of the case was a bonus as it finally gave me an excuse to do what I wanted to do for so long “ to get my own back on you, Harry Potter.

It is because of you that I watched my parents driven to insanity and so I wanted your friends to suffer the same fate.”

“Harry was doing what he thought was right!” interrupted Ron. “We all were. What happened to your parents was horrific, but you cannot blame Harry. He tried so hard to save everyone but no one could do that.”

“He made everything worse. The three of you stormed in and out without a thought to the people you left behind. I’ve had to pay the price for that “ why shouldn’t you?”

“I have,” replied Harry. “Do you really think I don’t think about the people that suffered or died because of me? You don’t need to worry about punishing me because not a day goes by when I don’t think about what happened.”

Terry started to reply but Ron couldn’t take it anymore.

“Enough! We are not here to argue about this. We are here, as Aurors of the Ministry of Magic, to ask you to accompany us to the Ministry of Magic. If you do you not come of your own free will, we have the right to use means to subdue you, including but not limited to, the use of the stunning spell and any other confinement spells. Anything you say at this point can be recorded by the arresting Aurors and presented to the Wizengamot as evidence. You are entitled at any point to ask for legal representation. Do you understand?”

Terry nodded, “Yes, I will come with you. As I said, I have been expecting this. I have made the necessary arrangements for both my parents and myself. Will we be Apparating?”

“Yes, though you shall be travelling with me,” said Harry. He took out of his pocket a pair of magical handcuffs. Terry stood up and held out his wrist. Harry tapped the handcuff with his wand and a blue ring encased Terry’s arm. Harry tapped it again and a similar ring appeared around his own wrist, joining them together. “I’ll see you at the Ministry,” he said to Ron, who nodded and then Harry turned on the spot and vanished, along with Terry.

Left on his own, Ron walked over to the table and picked up the black book. He began to leaf through it. Inside were records of every murder that Terry had been a part of, detailing dates and times. He began to turn the pages to find Hermione’s entry but suddenly he stopped. He realised he didn’t want to see. Terry Boot had been captured. No one else would have to die. It was over. He didn’t need to see what Terry had written about Hermione. He needed to remember her as she had lived, not as she had died.

He closed the book and tucked it under his arm. It could be given to the Ministry. They would decide what needed doing. He gave one last look around the room where Terry Boot had lived, before turning on the spot and Apparating.




Ron felt as if he had shaken hands with every member of the wizarding world. He had never anticipated how many people would want to say goodbye to Hermione. The church was full of people: their Hogwarts’ classmates, her Professors, her colleagues from the Ministry and anyone who felt indebted to her efforts during the war.

Hermione’s parents had organised it. They had wanted to hold it in their local church, the same in which Ron and Hermione had been married. As a result, everyone had been asked to wear Muggle clothing and there was an array of dark coloured suits filling the church.

The service had been kept personal, with only those who really knew her “ himself, Harry and her parents, speaking. Ron had managed not to cry but now, with a moment alone, he could feel tears welling up behind his eyes.

He had thought that it would be easier to accept once he knew what had happened, but if anything it had made him feel worse. Because the murderer was not the vicious monster Ron had imagined him to be; he was someone he knew “ someone who had suffered so much that they had been driven to do terrible things. The investigation had uncovered so much unhappiness that still existed in the world. It seemed to him that everything they had fought for, everything Hermione had cared about, had been wasted.

Unnoticed, he slipped out of the church and Apparated, arriving in a small graveyard. A little distance away he could see a small gathering around an open grave. He began to walk over to them.

The contrast between this and the service he had just left was startling. There were so few people. A couple who he assumed to be Eleanor Branstone’s parents stood, with tears running down their faces, at the grave side, talking to another guest. To one side, Ron saw the person he was looking for. He walked over to where Stewart Ackerley was standing, handcuffed to an Auror. He was not crying but he looked tired and withdrawn.

“Hello,” Ron said softly as he approached.

Ackerley looked at him in surprise. “You came.”

“Not for long. I will be missed soon. There is another funeral which requires my attention.”

Ackerley looked away. “I really am sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen.”

“I know,” replied Ron. “I don’t think anyone ever did. I have lost my wife; you have lost the person you loved and now your freedom. There are no happy endings in this story and at the same time there is no one who can be blamed, except perhaps Voldemort. It is just one more crime we can add to his list.”

“Thank you. No doubt I will see you again.”

“I have been called to give evidence at your trial. I will almost certainly see you then. But now, I must go.”

Ron nodded to the Auror and walked away, before Apparating back to the church, where the funeral party were beginning to move outside for the burial. Ron found his mother and took Rose from her arms. He then joined the party heading towards the freshly dug grave. The coffin was slowly lowered and the priest performed the final part of the service. Then Ron stepped forward and dropped a handful of earth on to the coffin.

“Goodbye, Hermione,” he said. “You shall never be forgotten.”

A tear followed the earth in to the open grave and Ron stepped back, hugging Rose tightly to him. His mother came and stood beside him. He felt comforted by her presence. As more and more earth was dropped in to the grave, his tears fell faster and faster. Hermione was well and truly gone; eighteen other people were dead and three would shortly be going to Azkaban.

It was finally over.
End Notes:
And so that is the end of my first Gauntlet attempt. I really enjoyed writing it and I hoped you enjoyed reading it.

(A note to the judges: all the characters I used were mentioned in canon somewhere; I just took the odd mention of them and developed them.)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81704