Don't You Know by Mistletoe
Summary: Blaise felt a sharp jab in the center of his ribs, and did everything to conceal the wind that was just knocked from his chest. She spoke so casually about their relationship that it seemed it hadn’t been as serious as he had hoped when it had still been alive. He took a long pull from his drink, allowing the burn in his throat to stifle the ache in his chest, and finished the liquid.

“Why did you want to meet me, Astoria? You shouldn’t be seen with me.”


Draco/Astoria with hints of Blaise/Astoria
Categories: Various Pairings Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2665 Read: 1877 Published: 11/29/08 Updated: 12/03/08

1. Don't You Know by Mistletoe

Don't You Know by Mistletoe
No matter what time of the year it was always crowded in Diagon Alley. People shopping for gifts or replacement school supplies, going on a simple afternoon outing, or tending to bank affairs all drew guests to this place. But at this moment, a crowd was the last thing Blaise wanted. Usually, he shut the noise out, but today the noise did not seem to want to stay away. It pressed on his eardrums, ringing in his head.

“Mummy, I want that!”

“How many Galleons? Is that a joke?”

“Let’s go to Florean’s next, yes?”


A gust of wind swept over the cobble stone street. Blaise flipped the collar of his robes up and stuffed his hands in his pockets. Bouncing his eyes from one stone to the next as he wove his way through the crowd, he focused on his goal. This was not the first time, and it definitely would not be the last time he would do this. It was like some sick obsession he had with his best friend’s girl.

Shaking his head in attempt to rid it of some of the clatter, he kept his eyes focused down. As he passed by the Apothecary, he chanced a look up at precisely the wrong moment. Walking out of the shop was none other than Pansy Parkinson, one of the most dreadfully boring girls he’d had the displeasure to speak of.

“Blaise Zabini! Is that you?” she cried, throwing her arms wide.

“Hello, Pansy.”

“Well, how are you?” She gave him a long look, slowly batting her lashes. She hadn’t changed a bit.

“All right. Listen, I have to be going.” Blaise offered her a look of remorse that he knew was more like disgust. “I’m meeting someone.”

Her shoulders slumped. “Oh, fine. A girl, is it?” she added slowly.

“Yes, actually. Pleasure seeing you.”

Stalking off, he shook his head, which was now echoing with Pansy’s chatter. The door to the Leaky Cauldron was propped open, so he slipped through the space, his eyes darting immediately around. It was a dark and musty bar, one that made him feel at home. Everything was toned down, a light murmur of speech around him. Not spotting who he was looking for, he took the last seat at the bar. Removing his hands from his pockets, he folded them in front of himself and patiently awaited Tom. He was in no rush.

“What can I get for you, sir?”

“Firewhiskey, please.”

As soon as the mug slid in front of him, he instantly regretted his order. She hated it when he drank, but he was going to have to pay for it now, so he might as well enjoy the taste.

“What are you drinking?” The joyously light jingle of Astoria Greengrass’ voice jumped from the now occupied stool beside him.

“You won’t be happy with me.”

She waved her hand nonchalantly and rolled her eyes. “Drink what you want. It’s not my place to care anymore.”

Blaise felt a sharp jab in the center of his ribs, and did everything to conceal the wind that was just knocked from his chest. She spoke so casually about their relationship that it seemed it hadn’t been as serious as he had hoped when it had still been alive. He took a long pull from his drink, allowing the burn in his throat to stifle the ache in his chest, and finished the liquid.

“Why did you want to meet me, Astoria? You shouldn’t be seen with me.” Pushing the mug across the sticky bar, he watched as it skidded to a stop.

“Come on, Blaise, this is fine. Just two friends having a drink.”

The ache deepened, tightening his chest.

She looked at him, as if expecting a response. When none came, she continued, “Want to get out of here?”

Blaise stared at the dirty mug sitting in front of him, leaning hard on his elbows and hunching his shoulders. This was all too easy for her.

“Sounds thrilling. Let’s go,” he conceded. If it was easy for her, it would be even easier for him. “Where do you want to go?”

She spun around on the stool, her legs dangling carelessly below her. “I don’t know, I’ve never considered anywhere in the wizarding world to be ‘out of here,’ so what say we take a trip into London?”

Lowering her hands, which were poised in the air in quote formation, she watched him closely with that familiar calculating stare. It did tempt his desires a bit; he had only been to Muggle London once in his life, and it had been years before on a mission.

“All right, let’s go!” She jumped from the stool and grabbed his wrist, dragging him along in her wake as she made her way rather noticeably out the back door of the pub. He trailed along behind her, trying hard to forget her clasp on his wrist. Taking in his surroundings, he was overwhelmed, once again. Muggle London was, if possible, even more crowded than Diagon Alley. It seemed that every piece of available sidewalk was taken by feet rushing up and down the street. Using his freehand to flip his collar back up, he shrugged his shoulders in attempt to shield himself a bit better.

“Isn’t this amazing. It’s like we know something everyone else doesn’t.” She smiled at him, loosening her grasp and sliding her hand into his. As soon as her fingers had pressed themselves securely between his, her smile faded. “What is it? Something I’ve said?”

“What are you talking about? Let’s just go. Where are we actually going?” Blaise asked, keeping his gaze ahead but neutral. He looked at the businesses that lined the road and saw nothing particularly appealing. Nothing appealed to him now, except for the warm hand woven with his.

“Let’s eat! We were going to anyway, were we not?” She pulled him through the first door they passed, and he was met with the strong smell of a deli.

“I’m not that hungry. Could you just grab something and we can get out of here?” He finally took his hand from hers, and it seemed she had completely forgotten they were attached. He shoved the now uncomfortably cold hand into his other pocket.

“Oh, fine.” She ordered and took her food quickly, shooting him accusatory glances. As they made their way out of the deli, she threw her arm across his stomach and drew in a gasp of breath. “Look at that. It’s beautiful.”

She pointed with her free hand at the setting sun. The orangey red orb hung limply just above the skyline of London. The contrast between the dark shadows of the far away buildings and the heated sky was astounding, only to be accentuated by the glaring reflection off the Thames River. Blaise had to agree; it was breathtaking, but it would be even more beautiful if there weren’t so many people bustling around him.

“Don’t you think?” She laid her head gently against his shoulder. His muscle twitched to firmness.

“Yes, beautiful.” He chanced a glance at Astoria, and she met his look slowly, turning her face up from his shoulder. Her lips slid into a soft smile when she saw his gaze. He turned back to look at the skyline, and that was when he saw him. No one could mistake the light blonde hair and content sneer that frequented Draco Malfoy’s lips.

“Follow me.” He grabbed her arm rougher than he had been intending; he heard a sharp intake of breath as he pulled her along.

“What are you doing? It was so pretty back there! Let’s just stay for a few more minutes,” she pleaded, straining against his pull.

Blaise turned around so his face was inches from hers. His eyes didn’t meet her face though; they were busy darting above her head in search of their pursuer. “Draco is following us,” he hissed as he turned to pull her along once again.

“Oh, don’t worry about him, I’m sure he didn’t even see us.” She caught up with him, and they were now creating a two-person-wide barrier against the flow of people. Blaise plowed through, ignoring the angry cries of passersby as he pushed and shoved them out of the way.

“Astoria, the last thing I want is for Draco to be angry with you because of me.” He continued to forage his path through the people, focusing on his destination. All he needed to do was get her back to the Leaky Cauldron, and he could Disapparate. They could act as if nothing had ever happened.

“Blaise, look! A cat. Oh, I think he’s a stray.”

He turned quickly as she pulled from his grip and ran to the mouth of the alley on their right. A small cat, rather skinny and dirty, sat hidden by two trashcans, only its glowing eyes visible against the darkness of the alley. When Astoria was a few paces from it, she slowed her pace, but the cat jolted up, giving her one look before running further into the depth of the alley.

Without saying a word, Astoria let out a sad sigh and returned to her spot beside Blaise. As they restarted the mission, the dreary wind whipped at his face, streaming over his angled eyes, causing him to blink in quick succession. Draco was somewhere close behind them, he could tell. There was a dying link that remained between them”the defeated Death Eaters”and he could feel it trailing along. Draco was not a threat to him”he had never been intimidated by him, but he had not wanted to put Astoria in this position. Quickening his step, they rounded a corner and the Leaky Cauldron was in sight.

They were almost there, all he needed to do was put her inside the doors and he could leave, forgetting this day forever.

“Zabini!”

It was Draco’s voice. It sounded oddly calm.

Blaise took a few more steps before slowing and turning to face Draco. The latter was winded as if he had been running after them, but his eyes gave him away. The down turned sneer of his mouth was common, but his eyes held something Blaise had never seen before. He knew it wasn’t accusation: Draco had accused many times before. It looked more like confusion. His brow was furrowed and his eyes were soft.

“Malfoy.”

Draco paused, allowing his eyes to trail over Blaise’s right shoulder to look at his girlfriend. The confusion left his features as soon as his gaze traveled down their arms to their linked hands.

“What is this?” he accused, the anger bubbling up with his voice.

Astoria stepped in front of Blaise, as if trying to shield him from was seemed to be an inevitable attack. “Draco, it’s not what it looks like.”

“Not what it looks like? What do you think it looks like?”

“Draco,” Astoria responded. “Don’t be rash.”

A small grin crept onto Draco’s lips as he straightened himself, and it seemed as if some of the tension slid from his body with the movement. Blaise took on the tension. He knew how Draco ticked, and this could be nothing more than a front. His eyes were still mutinous as they stared tauntingly into Blaise’s; he could feel the world around him fading as their eyes remained locked. Astoria kept on uttering pleading words, but nothing was going to stop either of them now.

Watching as if the encounter was in slow motion, Blaise saw Draco’s wand tip emerge from the folds of his robes. Before Draco had the opportunity to think of a curse, Blaise bounded around Astoria, flying onto Draco with all the force he could muster.

“Blaise! Get off him!” He felt someone pulling on the back of his robes as he and Draco scuffled on the dirty sidewalk, but it was unimportant. The tugging got harder and more frantic until he was lifted high into the air.

“We don’ wan’ no non magic folk seein’ a bunch o’ nutters beatin’ each other up outside our own place. Now, get inside,” the long forgotten voice of Rubeus Hagrid growled.

“And you won’t be drawing any attention at all.” Blaise was still suspended in the air, but when Hagrid heard his remark, he was instantly placed not so softly back on the cement. His knees buckled under the pressure, and upon righting himself, he saw exactly what he had expected. Astoria was kneeling over Draco as he lay on the ground clutching his nose. Her kind words were soft to him, as they had once been to Blaise, but as he stood watching them, he knew he would never have that again.

He turned to see if Hagrid was still lingering, but the half giant was nowhere to be seen. Once again allowing his hands to take their place deep inside his pockets, the resident scowl that had been on his lips took up its place.

Walking through the heavy crowd, he this time relished in the pandemonium. It was refreshing not being able to hear his own thoughts and memories as the worries and lives of others brushed him here and there across the sidewalk.

“Blaise! Blaise, please wait.”

His pace slowed, but he kept his eyes forward. Her voice always seemed to draw him to her, but this time he had to stay away. The image of her kneeling over Draco would be burned in his mind forever, the pale body alternately switching with his own.

Her footsteps grew closer, pounding softly behind him. When she caught up to him, a gust of sweet air engulfed him. The smell was too familiar. His mouth dropped open slightly, taking in the neutral air.

His eyes stayed ahead, but he felt her gaze on him. “Please, I didn’t want the day to end like this.”

“Like what?” he replied in monotone.

“With you walking away from me.”

“I guess the roles have been reversed.”

Her stride faltered, but Blaise kept moving. The tension from his previous phrase was taut in his shoulders.

“I see,” she replied stonily, but she stayed in step with him. “So, I suppose this is it then?”

Blaise hunched his shoulders, trying to ease some of the tension. He had anticipated this conversation for so long, yet now it had arrived, and he couldn’t find the words.

“It’s how it should be,” he began, all the words he could think of slipping quickly from his mind, replaced by his dying feelings. “But it’s not what I desire. You left me, and I can’t bring you back.”

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her head bow and her eyes soften. “I know.”

“This is it.”

All she did was nod, but Blaise slowed his pace to a standstill. She stopped with him, and they simply stood. Brief moments of eye contact lingered between them, but it was unimportant. She would never be his again, and he had known that for far too long. He needed her presence too much to ever want to leave her. But he would. He had to.

With one final prolonged look, he allowed his lips to curve into an unfamiliar smile: anything to ease her pain. She smiled hopefully back, and he returned it with a strait-lipped shake of his head. As he turned to continue his path, she laid her hand on his arm, and he turned one last time.

The soft press of her lips on his stubbly cheek caused his heart to thud for a few brief seconds, and then his body was flooded with relief.

This was goodbye.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81814