Happy Christmas, Kingsley by Sly Severus
Summary: Christmas is fast approaching and the Ministry of Magic is planning a ball, much to the annoyance of Kingsley Shacklebolt. But as the ball grows nearer, he begins to realize what he really wants. He also realizes what he has to do to get it.

An entry for Winter Snows – Melting a Winter Heart by Sly Severus of Slytherin.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 12359 Read: 33568 Published: 12/01/08 Updated: 12/06/08

1. Kingsley’s Lament by Sly Severus

2. The Beginning by Sly Severus

3. A Decision by Sly Severus

4. Beyond Perfect by Sly Severus

5. Normal by Sly Severus

6. Kingsley’s Best Night by Sly Severus

7. The Ball by Sly Severus

8. Kingsley’s Worst Night by Sly Severus

9. A Magical Evening by Sly Severus

10. Second Chances by Sly Severus

Kingsley’s Lament by Sly Severus
The foul parchment stared up at him as he tried to go about his daily business. Every time he glanced at it he was assaulted by swirling colors and smiling faces. He wanted to move it, but every time his hand grazed the paper it started to belt Christmas Carols. If he touched it, he feared it would never shut-up.

The whole situation was entirely unfair. He was the Minister for Magic. He had served the wizarding world well since the fall of Voldemort. Kingsley just didn’t understand it. Of all the decisions he had final say over; the Social Counsel could overrule him on a ball. And not only could they decide the Ministry was having a Christmas Ball, they could also demand that he attend. After all, they said, it wouldn’t be a Ministry event without the Minister for Magic.

He growled at the parchment, his deep voice echoing through his empty office. A ball! It was ridiculous really. The very last thing he wanted to do on Christmas Eve. The Ministry of Magic should have better things to do with their time then parade around in formal wear, drinking too much. Is that where taxpayer money was going?

Shaking his head, he picked up his quill and returned to work. The parchment continued to taunt him, so he tossed his coat over it. It started to sing.

He slammed his hands down on the desk. A loud cracking noise came from the desk, but it didn’t break. At least, the furniture didn’t seem to be against him”yet.

When he threw his jacket to the floor the invitation went with it. Landing a few feet away from the garbage can, it stopped singing. He left it there. As long as it was quiet and out of sight, he could pretend it didn’t exist.

Again, he retrieved his quill and prepared to return to work. This time he was interrupted by a knock at the door. He wanted to ignore it, but as Minister for Magic he had learned it was best not to ignore things. They could often turn into something unmanageable.

“Come in,” he growled, in his most unfriendly voice.

Harry and Ron burst into the room. They were all smiles. Ron was even humming some idiotic carol about a Hippogriff. Just what he needed, more Christmas cheer. Couldn’t any of his employees take a hint and leave him alone.

“Don’t you two have dark wizards to catch?” he asked, returning his gaze to his work. Maybe they’d go away if he showed no interest.

“We’re taking the day off,” Harry replied, still smiling as he plopped down in one of the chairs across from Kingsley. Ron joined him, but thankfully he’d stopped humming.

“I don’t remember signing any vacation papers,” he muttered.

“Oh, we’re not on vacation,” Harry replied, looking smug. “We’re working. Today we thought we’d keep an eye on you. With the vibes you’ve been giving off the last few days, we were concerned you were about to go bad and blow up half of Britain.”

Kingsley didn’t smile. He was in no mood for jokes.

“Seriously, mate,” Ron chimed in, “what’s wrong? You’ve never dressed up like Father Christmas before, but I’ve never seen you hate the holidays.”

“I’ve never had a ball forced upon me before either,” he replied. “It’s one thing to spend Christmas eating your mother’s cooking. It’s quite another to be forced to attend a mating ritual.”

“Mating ritual?” Harry asked, raising his eyebrows. “This is about a girl, then?”

“Honestly, this is about the two of you going back to work,” he muttered. “I have work to do. I really don’t have time to discuss something as foolish and frivolous as a ball with you.”

“Well, you ought to discuss it with somebody,” Ron told him. “You’ve been biting everyone’s head off since it was mentioned. You can’t do your job if you’re too busy sulking about a party.”

“I can do my job just fine,” Kingsley growled, growing impatient with the conversation.

“Of course, you can,” Harry said quickly, shooting Ron a warning glance. “Still, you’re upset and we want to help. We’ve been through a lot together. You can talk to us, you know.”

“I don’t want to go to the ball,” he told them. “Satisfied?”

“Why not?” Harry pressured. “It’s just a party. We’re going to dress up and dance. What’s so wrong with that?”

Sighing, Kingsley realized that he was beaten. If he ever wanted to get back to work or even have his office to himself, he’d have to tell them. Otherwise, they’d sit across from him forever, asking annoying questions and smiling like idiots.

“Fine, you were right,” he muttered. “It’s about a girl. Isn’t it always? What else can make sensible men act like spoiled children? I don’t have a date for this preposterous ball, and I don’t wish to go alone. I am the Minister for Magic; people will take note of the fact that I’m alone. The problem is I haven’t had a date since I was a young Auror. I fell in love then, and I haven’t wanted to date since. So this ball will be a large holiday reminder of what I lost all those years ago.”

“You could…” Harry began.

“No,” Kingsley cut him off. “No more. I answered your questions. Now, I feel like a whining schoolboy. I refuse to discuss this any further. Please, go back to your jobs so that I can do mine.”

Harry and Ron exchanged glances, debating if they should give in. Kingsley gave them the best glare he could muster. He was used to people being intimidated by his size and strong voice, but Harry and Ron were too used to him for that to work. They knew he was about as dangerous as a Pygmy Puff.

However, after a brief nod from Harry they began to move towards the door. Maybe they decided to respect his privacy after all. Although, it would be a first. Harry and Ron weren’t noted for backing down.

As if to prove Kingsley right, Harry stopped at the door. “You could always look her up,” he said. “A lot of time has passed since you were first an Auror. Maybe she misses you, too.”

Before Kingsley could reply, his friends allowed the door to close behind them. He was left alone in his office with the memories of the greatest love he’d ever known.
The Beginning by Sly Severus
The night was dark and Kingsley was looking for some action. Having only been an Auror for three days, he was still very much fascinated with the idea of it. More than anything, he wanted to go out and catch some bad guys. After all, that was why he did all that training.

Instead, he was sitting inside the Hog’s Head with his partner, Alastor Moody. The older man didn’t seem nearly as interested in getting into the field. He was nursing a drink, and watching the bar’s patrons.

“Aren’t we going to do anything tonight?” Kingsley asked. He knew he sounded whiney, but he didn’t care. He didn’t become an Auror to sit around in a dark bar all night. He could’ve done that while he was still at Hogwarts.

“Patience, son,” Alastor replied, with a grin. “We are doing something. We’re being vigilant. This bar is a known meeting place for Death Eaters. Sit back. Watch for anything suspicious. How do you think we catch the criminals? Run amuck downtown, grabbing strangers off the street? Youth, so impatient.”

Kingsley didn’t bother to respond. There was no point in arguing with Alastor Moody. The man never listened. Besides, he didn’t really have any right to argue with him. Alastor was very respected among the Aurors. His arrest record was double anyone else’s. Obviously, he knew what he was doing. Maybe Kingsley really was being too impatient.

Taking a deep breath, he sipped his own drink and began to scan the room. Some faces he recognized. The Lestrange brothers sat in the far corner, whispering to themselves. Kingsley thought he should keep an eye on them. He’d heard stories about their alliance to the Dark Lord while he’d been in school.

Beside them, he spotted Elysia Malfoy and Bellatrix Black. Neither of them were allowed to be there, still students at Hogwarts, but the thought never even occurred to him. His eyes fixed on Elysia, and he saw nothing else. Her blonde hair hung down her back, shining in an unnatural way. Her eyes sparkled as she laughed at something Bellatrix said. Her laugh seemed to fill the room. A goofy smile came over his face and he could do nothing to hide it. At least, Alastor was too busy being vigilant to notice.

Elysia and Bellatrix had been three years beneath him in school. He’d always watched them from afar, while Elysia, at least. They never noticed him. Why should they? He was a Ravenclaw half-blood. They were Slytherin Purebloods. They rarely saw anyone outside of their own circle.

Still, he believed Elysia was different. He’d seen her talk to Ravenclaws before, even Hufflepuffs. He’d never heard her speak an unkind word. He often wondered how she stayed best friends with Bellatrix Black. Or how that little punk, Lucius Malfoy, could be her baby brother.

Kingsley was lost in Elysia’s shiny hair; he didn’t notice what was happening at her table. He didn’t see Rodolphus and Rabastan rise from the table. His mind was circling around Elysia’s beauty. He could see nothing more.

Finally, he realized something was happening when Elysia also rose from the table. Her face was stretched with worry. She took Bella’s hand and followed the men from the bar. Bella looked almost radiant. What was upsetting Elysia?

“I don’t think we should go,” he heard her whispering to Bella as they passed his table.

“We have to,” the other witch replied. “We have to make a good impression on them. When we finish school they could be our link to the Dark Lord. They could be our way in.”

Elysia looked doubtful, but she didn’t reply.

“Why don’t you follow them?” Alastor suggested. “I doubt they’re up to much. Just cocky children. The Lestrange brothers haven’t even been accepted as Death Eaters yet, as far as I know. But they’re probably going to do something stupid. See if you can get any of them on something minor. Keep them off the streets for a few days.”

Kingsley was amazed. The all-seeing Alastor Moody was sending him after Elysia. Shouldn’t he have realized what Kingsley had been thinking? Shouldn’t he be able to tell that Kingsley had feelings for the girl? Maybe Alastor Moody wasn’t as observant as everyone liked to believe.

He nodded and followed the group into the darkness. A cold wind hit him in the face. For a few seconds, he simply stood there, allowing his eyes to adjust to the dark and his body to adjust to the cold. When he was ready to move again Elysia and the others were already halfway down the street.

He caught up quickly, staying off the street and out of sight. He wanted to get close enough to hear their conversation.

“The Dark Lord has so many ideas,” one of the brothers was saying. “He’s going to change things, he is. Make them better. Purebloods are going to rule like they were meant to. He will bring about glorious times.”

Listening to him boast, Kingsley felt vaguely ill. He sounded like he was talking about some great savior. How could Elysia be associated with such people? He knew she didn’t think like that. She couldn’t. She’d always been so kind to everyone. He’d never once heard her mention blood status. And he’d listened to her amazing voice every time he’d gotten the chance.

“I can’t wait to finish school and join him,” Bella replied. “It’s about time someone did something about this. Mudbloods rule the school and the world. Something has to done.”

Kingsley shuddered at the word.

“Well, it won’t be long now,” Rodolphus told her, pulling her into a tight hug. “In a few months, you’ll be finished with Hogwarts, and then you can join us.”

Kingsley noted that Elysia said nothing. Of course, she said nothing. She was with two dangerous men. She didn’t want to be a Death Eater, but she didn’t want to contradict them either.

The wind rushed through her hair. In the moonlight he was able to see a single red rose tucked behind her ear. He hadn’t been able to see it in the bar. The flower suited her, showing up brightly in her blonde locks.

“Look,” Rodolphus said, pointing towards a small hut at the end of the street. “Know who lives there? Some Squib. Can you believe it? They actually let someone like that live in magical society. They have no business here. This is our world. They should be out with the Muggles.”

“Maybe we can convince them to leave,” Rabastan suggested.

Kingley’s nerves tightened. What were they going to do?

Raising his wand, Rabastan laughed as flames shot towards the house. Within seconds the building was ablaze. He laughed. Rodolphus and Bellatrix joined in.

“Let’s get out of here,” Rodolphus called, running into the night.

Rabastan followed him, but the girls did not.

“Come on,” Bella cried, pulling on Elysia’s hand. “We’ve got to get out here. Do you want to go to Azkaban? Move.”

“Bella, we have to help,” she insisted. “Someone could be inside. Someone could die because of us. We have to put the fire out.”

“It’s just a Squib,” Bella cried. “We have to go.”

“Then go without me,” she snapped. “I’m not leaving until I know everyone is safe.”

“You’re crazy,” Bella cried, “but I can’t leave you. Do whatever you have to do, but for Merlin’s sake hurry!”

As Elysia raised her wand, Kingsley stepped into the open. Before either woman could respond to his presence, he raised his wand and doused the fire with water. The flames died quickly. No one came from the house. They had been lucky; no one was home.

Both Elysia and Bellatrix stared at him with fear, neither of them daring to move. He hated that expression on Elysia’s face. He hated that she could imagine him hurting her.

“Run,” he told them, hoping to make it clear that he meant no harm. After all, he could’ve arrested them.

Bellatrix was gone before the word left his mouth, but Elysia lingered. Instead of fleeing, she moved closer to him, leaned over to his ear. She was so close. He could taste her breath. He could smell the rose in her hair.

“Thank you,” she whispered in his ear. So close her lips nearly touched him.

With that, she also disappeared into the night, trailing after her friend. Kingsley was left with nothing more than a final glance as her beauty faded into the darkness.
A Decision by Sly Severus
A few days after his chat with Harry and Ron, Kingsley was once again sitting in his office, glaring at his invitation to the Ministry Ball. His mood had not improved. If anything, he was feeling worse. It seemed he could think of nothing but Elysia, and it really wasn’t fair. For years, he had managed to keep her at the back of his thoughts. How could a simple dance destroy all of his resolve?

The invitation remained on the floor by his garbage bin. He was afraid to pick it up, so he couldn’t throw it away. Every time he had trash, he was reminded of the humiliating ordeal that faced him.

Shaking his head, he turned away from the invitation. He was being ridiculous. It was a ball. He had to go. What was the big deal? He’d been an Auror most of his life, chasing after dark wizards. He’d fought against Voldemort. This was a dance. How could he let that destroy him?

Returning to his desk, he was feeling better. He could handle this. Of course, he could. He even managed a slight smile as he returned to his work. And had it not been for the knock on his door, he may have left it at that.

“Yes,” he called out.

The door opened and once again Harry and Ron barged into his office. They looked less cheery than the last time. This time they had an air of determination about them. Kingsley didn’t think he would like what was coming next.

“If you two plan to spend another day watching me, I’ll have to dock your pay,” he threatened, hoping to sound light hearted. Maybe if they thought he was in a better mood, they’d leave him alone.

“We’re not here to watch you, mate,” Ron replied, sitting across from him again.

“We’re here to help you,” Harry replied, joining his friend in the other chair.

“I really don’t need any help,” Kingsley replied. “So if you’d like to return to your jobs that would be perfect.”

“All right,” Harry replied, leaning back in the chair to make himself more comfortable. “If you can tell us about the girl, we’ll leave. That’ll prove that you’re really over her, and you don’t need us meddling.”

He almost groaned. Harry was good. There was no way he could talk about Elysia without going to pieces. He hadn’t mentioned her name since the day she left. It was just too painful. As far as he knew, neither her family nor Bellatrix ever mentioned her again either. Her departure had left many broken hearts.

“You can’t, can you?” Harry asked.

“So what?” he snapped. “Just because I don’t want to dredge up the past it doesn’t mean anything. I don’t need help with this.”

“What was her name?” Ron asked.

“It doesn’t matter,” he muttered. “She’s not a part of my life anymore.”

“And why is that?” Harry persisted. “Obviously, you never stopped loving her.”

“Well, she stopped loving me, okay?” he growled. “Drop it.”

“You’ve been hanging on to this woman for years,” Harry told him. “Your entire adult life has been dedicated to her memory. You must’ve had something pretty special with her. And so what if she dumped you? That was a long time ago. Most people believe in second chances. Look her up. Send her an owl. The worst she can do is tell you to go away.”

Clearly, Harry didn’t realize how devastating that could be. Elysia had left him once. He wasn’t sure how he’d survived it. There was no way he wanted to go through that again. It was better to leave her alone. She’d made her wishes very clear when she left.

“She doesn’t want to hear from me,” he muttered.

“She didn’t want to hear from you all those years ago,” Harry corrected. “A lot has changed. She probably feels differently now.”

“She’s been given no reason to forgive me,” he muttered.

“No, she hasn’t,” Ron agreed. “You let her go. If I gave up on Hermione every time she told me to bugger off, we’d have stopped speaking before we finished school. She can’t forgive you, if you don’t give her the chance.”

For a moment, Ron’s words made sense to him. He and Hermione had had many insane fights. She’d probably told him to get out of her life many times, but Ron never listened. Now they were married. Maybe things would’ve been different if he hadn’t given up so easily.

No, he decided. Elysia was right to be angry back then, but it was a long time ago. Maybe she would consider seeing him, at least. She might even think about being his date to the ball.

“Well?” Harry asked.

“Why do you two want to see me heartbroken?” he asked.

“We’re already looking at you heartbroken,” Harry told him. “We want to see you get a second chance with this dream girl. So what are you going to do?”

Deep down, Kingsley knew what he was about to agree to was ludicrous. He would only end up hurt, but somehow that wasn’t enough to stop him anymore. Maybe his friends were right. And if there was even the tiniest chance that Elysia could be in his life again, he had to take it.

“I’ll do it,” he replied. “I’ll invite her to the ball.”

Harry smiled. “Excellent.”

“Good for you, mate,” Ron replied.

Smiling, he shooed them from the room. He was ready to contact Elysia, but he didn’t want any witnesses. For once, they didn’t argue. They simply left him to his business.

He grabbed his quill and wrote a quick message. He didn’t want to over think it or he might chicken out.

Dearest Elysia,

I am sending you a bouquet of red roses. I know how lovely they look in your hair. I will continue to send you a bouquet every day until I hear back from you.

Please, come to the Ministry Ball with me.

I will always love you.

Kingsley


Still, smiling he sent an owl to the flower shop with his note and instructions to send the same message every day accompanied by a bouquet of red roses until he told them otherwise.

He felt content. He’d taken the first step.
Beyond Perfect by Sly Severus
Again, Kingsley found himself seated at the Hog’s Head. However, this time he was not accompanied by Alastor Moody. He was spending his night off in the dirty little bar, simply hoping to meet up with Elysia again. He was acting like a fool, but he couldn’t stop himself.

Time passed slowly in the bar. He nursed his drinks, not wanting to get drunk, but not wanting to be tossed out either. If he left, he’d spend the whole night wondering if she’d came later. For his sanity, it was better to stay put. Wait it out.

He was counting the number of unexplained stains on the ceiling when she finally arrived. He nearly fell of his stool when he spotted her. As always, she looked beautiful. Her long hair lay untamed down her back. She was dressed in black robes, making her skin look white like porcelain.

Again, she was with Bellatrix. The two were in good spirits. Apparently, the fire had already been forgotten, and Elysia had forgiven her friend’s desire to let someone burn to death. Evidently, there wasn’t much Bellatrix could do to lose Elysia as a friend. This bothered him, but not enough to stay away. A field of dragons couldn’t have kept him away.

He watched as they sat down at the bar with their drinks. At first, everything was normal. They chatted and laughed. Kingsley grew doubtful that he would have a chance to approach Elysia alone. But then, Bellatrix spotted the Lestrange brothers across the room.

She pointed in their direction, and said something to Elysia.

Elysia shook her head. She seemed firm.

They argued for a few minutes. Finally, things settled. They hugged quickly and Bellatrix approached the men, leaving Elysia alone.

Kingsley smiled. This was his chance.

Jumping to his feet, he nearly knocked over the stool and spilled his drink. The barmaid gave him a strange look, but he blew it off. So what if they thought he was drunk. In a way, he was drunk. Drunk on the beauty that was Elysia Malfoy. He shook his head; he was beginning to sound like a cliché.

As he approached Elysia, he was surprised to realize that his nerves were fine. He felt no fear of rejection. All he wanted was to get closer to her. There was no price too great to pay for that honour.

“Good evening, Ms. Malfoy,” he said, smoothly, sitting beside her.

She turned to him and smiled. “Hello, Kingsley.”

He was lucky he was already sitting. Otherwise, he would’ve fallen for sure. She remembered his name. Elysia Malfoy knew who he was.

“I didn’t know if I would see you here again,” he continued, trying to sound composed, “especially with your current friends.”

“I didn’t know if I would come back either,” she replied, sipping her drink. He didn’t know what it was, but it smelled fruity. “The other night was horrific. And I assure you, the Lestrange brothers are not my friends. Unfortunately, they seem to be Bella’s.”

“I heard her that night,” he said, hoping he wasn’t overstepping. “She didn’t care if a Squib died. I’m surprised you continue to associate with her.”

Elysia smiled slightly. “Bella has been my best friend since before I can remember. We’ve done everything together. I love her. She’ll always be my friend. I just hope this Dark Lord stuff is a phase. I don’t know if I could watch her go through that.”

“You’re very loyal,” he replied, not knowing what else to say. He looked down at his drink.

“And yet they call me a Slytherin,” she replied.

He smiled.

“Thank you, again,” she replied. “You could’ve arrested us the other night.”

“Professionally speaking, I should have.”

“Why didn’t you?” She finished her drink and set it aside. For the first time, Kingsley had her undivided attention.

“Because I’m a sucker for a pretty face,” he said, grinning widely.

“Well, as it so happens, I’m a sucker for generous man,” she replied. “Would you like to take a walk? I really could use to get away from this dank pit. I wish Bella’s friends would meet her somewhere nicer.”

“I’d love to take a walk with you,” he replied. He was dumbfounded. She wanted to be alone with him. He had to be the luckiest wizard in the world.

“Perfect,” she replied, her sparkling smile spreading across her face. “I’ll just tell Bella we’re leaving and remind her not to get herself arrested or killed.”

He hated to say it, but felt compelled to. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay and keep an eye on her?”

“No,” Elysia replied. “I love Bella, but I can’t be around to baby-sit her all the time. She’ll be fine. Rodolphus is madly in love with her. He’ll make sure no real harm comes to her.”

She squeezed his hand and rushed over to Bella. He watched her. Bella appeared annoyed that she was leaving, but made no argument to stop her. Again, the two embraced and then Elysia returned to his side. They did seem to have a close friendship.

“Where to?” he asked as they approached the door.

“I know a place,” she replied. “It’s not far from here. You’ll love it.”

“All right.” He would’ve agreed to walk straight into the circle of hell if she were going with him.

The air outside was cold. Elysia shivered as they began to walk down the familiar street. Taking off his cloak, he draped it around her shoulders. She cuddled close to him, and he felt comfortable enough to leave his arm around her. He liked the feeling of her in his arms.

“Now, you’ll be cold,” she said.

“Not with you here,” he replied.

She laughed. “Glad I can serve as a space heater.”

He blushed, and was glad his skin tone hid such embarrassing reactions. Of course, she wouldn’t have seen in the darkness anyway.

“So why did you decide to become an Auror?” she asked, leading him towards a small path near the woods. He’d never noticed that before.

“To catch the bad guys, I suppose,” he replied. “I wanted to help the world. Make things better. I bet that sounds lame.”

“No,” she replied. “But it makes me wonder why you’re here with me. Am I not one of the bad guys?”

“Of course not,” he said quickly. “I’ve never heard a cruel word come from your mouth. I saw you fight with your best friend, trying to save a stranger that wasn’t even home. You are not a bad person, Elysia.”

“Maybe not,” she replied, “but I will always love Bella. No matter what she does, I’ll care about her. I can’t turn on her. We’re too close. That’s just something you need to know about me before we get involved. Can you handle that, Mr. Auror?”

Had anyone else said that to him, he would’ve questioned their character. How could someone standby someone else even if that person turned evil? But coming from Elysia, it only made her more attractive. Her loyalty was stronger than any he’d ever seen.

“I can,” he replied.

“Good,” she said, draping her arms around his chest, “cause I really am starting to like you.”

She led him up a hill. They weren’t talking anymore. They were both focused on walking. The path was not well worn. Rocks stuck out of the ground, assaulting their feet. He wondered why she wanted to walk up such an unbeaten path.

When they reached the top of the hill, he didn’t wonder anymore. They both collapsed staring out at the beauty. They had a perfect few of a starlit sky, and the lights from a Muggle village below it. The lights all seemed to twinkle like thousands of candles lit especially for them.

“This is brilliant,” Kingsley exclaimed. “How did you ever find it?”

“Bella and I found it one night,” she replied. “We were at the Hog’s Head and old Professor Slughorn walked in. We had to make ourselves disappear pretty quickly. We were rushing down the road, and Bella spotted this path. It’s been our secret place ever since.”

“But it’s not a secret anymore,” he told her. “I know about it.”

“I trust you,” she replied.

He smiled.

They cuddled close together and watched the lights. For a long time, they were content like that. Basking in the world’s beauty, there was no need for them to do anything else. In that moment, the world was perfect.

Elysia made the first move. She slid her head ever so slightly upwards until her lips touched his, and then she pulled him into a passionate embrace.

In that moment, the world was beyond perfect.
Normal by Sly Severus
Ever since childhood, Kingsley had hated dress robes. He felt out-of-place in them. Possibly because the world simply didn’t make them to fit a man of his size. They were always short in the sleeves and legs. He conjured extra material to hide the defects, but it always disappeared before the evening ended. Kingsley felt stupid in dress robes; it was that simple.

He also felt stupid paying to have a dozen roses sent to Elysia Malfoy daily. The bills were large, so he had to assume that she’d moved far from England. He wasn’t surprised.

He was, however, hurt that she failed to respond to him. At this point, he’d even be glad to receive a letter politely telling him to bugger off. Receiving nothing, he didn’t know what to think. He wondered if she was even getting his daily gift.

One thing he knew for sure, she wouldn’t be responding in time for the ball. He would be going alone. The evening would be spent standing in front of the punch bowl looking silly. Everyone would be polite, but they would notice he was alone”always alone. Next his female colleagues would be trying to set him up with their friends. He shuddered at the thought.

He stripped out of the dress robes and returned them to their box. They were nothing special, but they would serve the purpose. Why should he go out of his way to look good for an event he didn’t even want to go to?

Sitting the box aside, he pulled on his regular robes and prepared for work. He wasn’t looking forward to that either. Harry and Ron would probably be waiting for him in his office. Bursting with questions, they would’ve assumed he’d heard from his love. He’d have to tell them that she hadn’t responded, and probably never would.

He considered sending an owl to the flower shop to cancel his daily order, but couldn’t bring himself to do it. If he canceled the order, that would mean he’d given up. He’d have to face the fact that Elysia really was gone forever. He wasn’t ready to do that. He’d give it one more day.

Apparating into his office, he was irritated to find that he’d been right about Harry and Ron. They were sprawled in their usual chairs, looking at him expectantly.

“Well,” Harry said, “can we know her name yet?”

“It’s only fair,” Ron added. “We convinced you to ask her. We’ll be meeting her tomorrow night, anyway. You might as well tell us about her.”

“You won’t be meeting her tomorrow night,” Kingsley said, settling behind his desk. “I very much doubt you’ll ever be meeting her. She hasn’t responded to me. She can’t forgive me, and wants to be left alone.”

“I don’t believe it,” Ron exclaimed. “You didn’t get anything?”

“No.”

“But that’s so unfair,” Harry said. “I thought she would give you a chance. It’s been so long. I can’t imagine that you would do something so unforgivable, especially to someone you loved so much.”

“I was young and foolish,” he replied. “I hurt her badly. I suppose some wounds never heal.”

“Blimey, I’m sorry,” Ron said.

“Me, too,” Harry added.

“I’m sorry, too,” Kingsley replied. “It would’ve been nice to have had a second chance. She’ll always be in my heart, and I suppose that will have to be good enough.”

“What about the ball?” Ron asked. “Are you going alone, then?”

Harry cast him a nasty look, but he didn’t seem to notice. Ron was used to getting dirty looks for speaking his mind. He hardly seemed to acknowledge them anymore.

“I don’t have a lot of choice,” he muttered. “I don’t want to go with anyone else, and the social committee is insisting that I attend.”

“I really am sorry,” Harry said.

Kingsley shrugged, trying to keep a small fraction of his dignity. “It’s just a ball. I’ve faced worse things than that. One night, and then it’ll be over and forgotten. No big deal.”

“Right,” Ron agreed quickly. “You probably won’t even have to stay for the whole thing. Just make an appearance and leave.”

“And we’ll be there,” Harry piped up. “You can hang out with us, if you like. It really won’t be that bad.”

Kingsley was not oblivious to the desperation in their voices. They wanted to make him feel better. They were probably blaming themselves for talking him into this foolishness in the first place. He had no one to blame, but himself. Harry and Ron were trying to help. They didn’t know the whole story. He should’ve known better than to rely on their uninformed opinions.

“It’ll be fine,” he said, trying to assure his friends that they’d done no harm.

Harry and Ron nodded, still looking uncomfortable.

“Well, we best be getting back to work,” Kingsley told them, hoping he sounded like his cheerful self. “We don’t get the day off to discuss my failed relationships.”

“We should get the day off to squeeze into those blasted dress robes,” Ron muttered.

“Stop blaming your dress robes because you’ve gained weight, Ron,” Harry told him with a smirk. “Why don’t you just buy a larger pair?”

“You sound just like Hermione,” Ron muttered.

Kingsley smiled. The friendly bickering and complaining were welcome. They were a sign that everything was going back to normal. Normal would be nice. He could use some normal.

He was sure that in a few days, once the ball was over, everything really would go back the way it was. Harry and Ron would forget about his lost love, and he would forget too. Elysia would return to the part of his mind where she had always lived. She had her own special place. There she would always be remembered, but she wouldn’t control his mind like she had for the past little while.

He was looking forward to things going back to normal. He would’ve preferred having Elysia back, but with that looking hopeless, he’d settle for having his old life back.
Kingsley’s Best Night by Sly Severus
Kingsley practically danced around the room. He couldn’t help himself. Everything had to be perfect for the big night. All the lights were dimmed. Dinner was ready and warming on the stove. The table was set, complete with candlelight. With a flick of his wand the room filled with romantic music.

His loft was small, but he was certain he’d done a good job of making it romantic. This would be Elysia’s first visit there. It would also be their first night together after she graduated from school. They were going to celebrate her freedom and her adulthood.

He poured wine in the two glasses and sat at the table. Taking a deep breath, he surveyed the room. Nodding, he felt rather pleased with himself. He was sure Elysia would love it, and that was really all that mattered.

He took a few minutes to relax. All day he had been trying to make everything right for her. Showing her his quaint home was a big step. She was used to Malfoy Manor and the Black Mansion. There wasn’t much he could do to make his loft live up to that, but he did his best. He’d even taken the day off work to prepare for her arrival.

The wine glass was raised to his lips when there was a brisk knock on the door. He almost dropped the glass, dumping the contents all over himself.

“Pull it together,” he said to himself. “You don’t want to scare her away now.”

Sitting the wine glass beside his plate, he went to the door. With one last glance in the mirror, he decided he was presentable.

Opening the door, he wore a foolish grin. The grin known all over the world as the love look. He held his hand out to Elysia, but she ignored it, throwing herself into his arms.

“I’ve missed you,” she cried. “I’m so sorry I haven’t been able to slip away. First, I was studying for those blasted N.E.W.Ts, and then Father wanted to celebrate. I’m really sorry. I wish I could just tell my family about you, but they’d never understand. They never understand anything.”

“Hey, it’s okay,” he said, closing the door and holding her tightly. “Everything is fine. I know it’s hard to get away. I’ve missed you, too. And we have tonight. All night. Just for us.”

Elysia smiled as she pulled away from him. He got his first good look at her. She was perfect. Her hair was tied back, with a few strands hanging lose. She was dressed in a green gown, most likely chosen by her parents to compliment her house. Her pale skin seemed to glow in the candlelight. There was something angelic about the way she looked that night.

“You cooked,” she cried, spotting the table. “That’s so sweet. I didn’t know you could cook.”

He smiled. She was impressed by his culinary abilities, and didn’t seem at all put out by his meager home. Of course, she wasn’t. He should’ve known better. That just wasn’t the way she behaved. Unlike her family, she didn’t judge people based on blood and money.

“I’m a lowly bachelor, my dear,” he replied. “I had to learn how to feed myself. We don’t all have house-elves.”

“Maybe I’ll get you one for Christmas,” she mused.

“You’ve already given me more than I could’ve asked for,” he told her.

She smiled and pulled him close to her. Their lips met. The food was ready and everything was prepared just the way he wanted it, but in that second, he forgot it all. When Elysia was in his arms the rest of the world ceased to exist.

She pulled her lips away, only enough to speak. “It really was sweet of you to make dinner,” she whispered, “but would you mind terribly if we ate it cold? I’m really more in the mood for dessert.”

Instead of replying, Kingsley swept her into his arms and carried her to his bedroom. He quickly lit the candles scattered around the room with a wave of his wand.

Elysia laughed. “Looks like you were expecting company. Maybe I should go.”

He laid her softly on the bed. “I had hopes for tonight. I hope that doesn’t upset you.”

“Of course not,” she replied, pulling him on top of her. “I had hopes for tonight, too, and it looks like I’m going to get exactly what I wished for.”

“Me too,” he replied.


Kingsley didn’t know how much time had passed. He must’ve fallen asleep, but Elysia was still with him. Sleeping on his chest. Her skin felt warm against him. Wrapping his arms around her, he closed his eyes. He knew what bliss was.

She moved slightly beneath his large arms. A tiny groan escaping her lips as she opened her eyes. She smiled up at him.

“That was perfect,” she told him. “Everything I waited for and more.”

He tightened his grip on her, pulling her closer to him. A happy sigh came from her and she cuddled down.

“We should eat dinner,” she said, at last. “You did cook, after all.”

“You’re always going to be amazed about that, aren’t you?” he asked.

“I’ve never met a man who could cook before,” she replied, pulling out his arms and standing up. Her body was in full view to him, but she didn’t seem to mind. “Get up. I want to try your cooking.”

“You expect me to move when the view is this good?” he teased.

“If you ever want to see it again, I suggest you don’t ogle it too much this time,” she replied, grabbing her robe and covering herself. “You can have too much of a good thing, you know.”

“I always thought that was a lie,” he told her, trying to pull her back on the bed.

“I am not getting back in that bed until I have tasted your cooking,” she told him firmly, crossing her arms.

Kingsley laughed. Something about that just seemed utterly absurd.

“You know what, I really love you, Elysia Malfoy.”

“Well, I love you, too, Kingsley Shacklebolt,” she replied.
The Ball by Sly Severus
Feeling utterly miserable, Kingsley stood in front of the mirror hanging in the loo. As always, he looked stupid in his dress robes. But he didn’t even bother to conjure the extra fabric to cover his ankles and wrists. What did it matter what he looked like? Elysia wasn’t coming. She still hated him.

More than anything he wanted to crawl into his bed and sleep. He could pretend that there was no ball. Maybe he could even pretend that there was no Elysia. He just didn’t want to face it. He’d let his hopes get up, and now he was crashing in disappointment.

Sighing, he knew he couldn’t hide. He was required to be at this idiotic dance. There was no escaping it. It didn’t really matter. He could go, stand around like a fool, have a few drinks, and then hopefully make a graceful exit. Nothing to it. He’d be fine. He just had to keep himself from thinking about Elysia.

Before his mind could be invaded by thoughts of her, he turned away from the mirror and Apparated to his office at the Ministry. The room was dark and cool. Heating was turned off at eight, unless otherwise stated. Still, he assumed he’d be more comfortable in the cold darkness than at the warm festivities down the hall.

He stepped into the hall before he could chicken out. Unlike his office, the hall was both lit and heated. The lighting was not the usual harsh fluorescents, but a soft light, similar to candle or moonlight.

As he continued down the hall, he could hear music escaping from the cafeteria. He wondered what the room looked like. It was normally so dingy; he couldn’t believe they had chosen it for the ball. Of course, it was probably the only room big enough to accommodate all the expected guests.

Stepping into the room, he actually gasped. At first, he wasn’t even sure he was in the cafeteria. The room looked nothing like it usually did. All the regular tables had been removed, replaced with more elegant tables, dressed in lace tablecloths. The only light offered came from candles spread throughout the room, giving everything a soft, gentle look to it. He felt like he’d just entered an intimate diner somewhere in France. Even the music was soft and enjoyable. None of those crazy Christmas songs about Hippogriffs.

The room was nice, but he still felt uncomfortable. Most of the faces were familiar, but he didn’t want to approach anyone. He was afraid they would ask about his date. What could he say; she was a million miles away and refusing to speak to him? That would sound good.

Instead of seeking social interaction, he followed his original plan, and looked for the punch bowl. He spotted it in the far corner of the room. A chandelier lit with candles hung above it, offering sparkling shadows around the bowl. Elegant, he thought, Elysia probably would’ve liked that.

Shaking his head, he began to walk towards the bowl. He couldn’t let himself think about her. She didn’t want to be there and he couldn’t blame her. He had to focus on getting through the evening. Any thoughts about his love would only make his job harder.

When he reached the bowl, he helped himself to a glass of punch. After one sip, he could tell that the drink was virgin. Too bad, he really could’ve used something to settle his nerves. Sighing, he stood by the bowl, sipping his drink, and trying to look entertained by the music.

“Hey, Kingsley,” Harry greeted him a few minutes later. Ginny stood beside him, dressed in pale pink gown. Her hair was piled atop her head. For the first time, she looked like a woman and not a little girl.

“Harry,” he nodded. “Nice to see you, Ginny.”

“You too,” she replied. “Isn’t this gorgeous? They must’ve put so much work into it. I never expected the room to look anything like this. It’s almost like being back at Hogwarts.”

“It really is lovely,” Kingsley agreed, without much enthusiasm.

“Lovely?” Ron said, joining their circle with Hermione in tow. “It’s bloody brilliant. I can’t believe they did all this. You should give them a raise.”

“I was thinking I should dock them a week’s pay,” Kingsley replied. “Obviously, they’ve been working on this as opposed to their actual jobs.”

“I see you’re still feeling like the Grinch,” Harry muttered.

“What’s that?” Kingsley, Ron, and Ginny asked.

Both Harry and Hermione rolled their eyes. Even after all these years, they would sometimes forget that their Muggle analogies would be misunderstood.

“A Muggle cartoon,” Hermione told them. “Don’t worry about it. Kingsley, will you dance with me?”

“Honestly, Hermione, I don’t need a pity dance,” he replied, knowing Ron and Harry had told their wives all about his predicament. “I’m sure you would much rather dance with your husband.”

“Are you mental?” she asked. “He stomps my feet every time. These are sandal shoes. I assure you, you’d be doing me a favor.”

“If you wish,” he replied, feeling exasperated. The last thing he wanted was to dance, unless of course, it was with his Elysia.

Hermione offered him her arm, and he led her onto the floor. She settled against his waist and they began to sway with the music.

“Ron told me about you old girlfriend,” she said. “I’m sorry it didn’t work out. I honestly can’t imagine someone not wanting to be with you. She must be daft.”

Kingsley chuckled, “She’s not daft, Hermione. I hurt her.”

“Hurt feelings rarely last forever,” she replied.

“Look, I was wrong,” he told her. “I did something foolish. I don’t blame her for not wanting me back in her life.”

“I don’t think you’re capable of doing anything that horrible,” she replied. “You just don’t have it in you.”

Kingsley smirked as he glanced around the room. Hermione couldn’t possibly understand. He’d been young and ambitious once. Like everyone, he’d made mistakes.

His eyes gazed around the room, staring at blurs of reds, greens, whites and pinks from swirling dressing. Everything really was beautiful.

He was about to return his gaze to Hermione when it lingered on the door. He gasped.

“Kingsley?” Hermione asked.

“She’s here,” he replied.
Kingsley’s Worst Night by Sly Severus
His house was ready for Christmas, but his mind was elsewhere. The tree was decorated with gifts piled beneath it. He even had some Christmas music playing in the background. He thought Elysia would like it when she arrived.

In the meantime, he had work to do. Curled up on the couch, he reviewed his files from work. The most pressing being the file of Bellatrix Black. Since she’d graduated from school she’d become more and more entrenched in the dark arts. He had been given her case, and told that it would be best to charge her before she took the Mark.

Kingsley had never expected to spend his evenings study files, but the Ministry was pushing him harder than he ever imagined. As He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named gained power, the Ministry scurried to provide safety to the magical community. Every day there seemed to be a new disaster to deal with.

The door opened in the kitchen, and he sat the file down. Elysia had arrived. He smiled. There would be no more work that evening. For it was Christmas Eve, and his beloved had managed to slip away. They were going to have their first holiday together.

He rushed into the kitchen to greet her. She bounded into his arms before he even had a chance to see her.

“Happy Christmas,” she cried, hugging him tightly.

“Happy Christmas,” he repeated, returning her embrace. “I’m so happy you could make it. What did you tell your father?”

“He’s spending Christmas with the Blacks,” she replied. “Lucius has really hit it off with young Narcissa. I guess there will be wedding bells one day. I simply told Father that I felt ill and wished to remain home. Bella knows where I am, of course, and will cover for me if anything come ups.”

Kingsley smiled slightly, but felt a bit ill himself. He’d hoped Elysia’s friendship with Bella would come to an end as her friend became more and more involved with dark magic. But true to her word, Elysia never left Bella’s side.

“So the night is ours,” she went one, pulling away from him and entering the loft. “What we do with it is up to us.”

She smiled at his simple tree and collapsed on the sofa beside it. Her eyes landed on the files, and Kingsley realized he had made a grave error.

“What are those?” she asked playfully. “You can’t really be working on Christmas Eve.”

She reached out for the papers.

“Really, they’re nothing,” he said. “You don’t want to talk about my job tonight. Come back to the kitchen. There’s eggnog.”

But it was too late. Looking into her eyes, he could tell that she knew. There was nothing he could do to hide the truth from her. He should’ve told her sooner. Maybe he could’ve made her understand.

“That’s Bella’s name,” she said, picking up the file. “Why do you have a file about my best friend?”

Her eyes widened as she read the words. Tears began to spill over. He had done the one thing he’d vowed never to do. He’d hurt Elysia Malfoy. Not only had he hurt her, he’d betrayed her. In that moment, he knew there would be no forgiveness.

“You’re investigating her,” she said, tears falling freely. “You’re trying to put my best friend in Azkaban. How could you do this to me? I can’t watch Bella suffer like that. I thought you understood that. I thought you understood me.”

“The case was assigned to me,” he said. “I had no choice.”

“No choice!” she cried. “You could’ve made this go away. You could’ve reported that she has no connection to the Dark Lord. You could’ve saved her.”

“Elysia, I’m sorry.”

“Sorry?” she cried, jumping to her feet and letting the file fall to the floor. “You’re sorry? You weren’t even going to tell me. You were just going to destroy my best friend. What did you think would happen?”

“Honestly,” he replied, feeling defeated, “I thought you would end that friendship. Bella is well on her way to becoming a Death Eater. I know you understand what that means. I can’t believe that you would stand by someone like that. I just assumed you’d understand, in the end.”

She shook her head at him. Tears still streaming. She began to shake. He approached her, wanting to offer comfort, but she pulled away, not even allowing him to touch her.

“I told you one thing before we got involved,” she said, her voice had turned cold. “I told you I would always love Bella, no matter what. I asked if you could handle that, and you said yes. When you agreed to that you agreed not to hurt her.”

“Elysia, I’m sorry.” His own voice cracked. “I never realized you would react this way. I didn’t think it would hurt you this badly. I’m sorry. I can do what you want. I can make this disappear. When I go back to work I’ll report that Bella has no ties to the dark arts. I’ll tell them it was all a mistake.”

Elysia shook her head. “It’s too late. This only shows me that you don’t know me at all. You don’t know me, and you don’t respect me. Otherwise, you would’ve never been able to go after Bella like that.”

“Please,” he said, hating the pleading tone in his voice.

“I’m sorry, Kingsley,” she replied, wiping away her tears. “I can’t stay. I can’t be with you anymore. But some of what you said was right. Bella is getting out of control. Sometimes she even scares me. I’ll always love her, and I’ll always support her, in anyway that I can. I just don’t think I can watch her go down that path. I’ve been struggling with it for a long time”thinking about leaving. I stayed because of you. Now, I think it’s time for me to go. I won’t forget you, but I can’t forgive you. I won’t stop believing in Bella, but I can’t help her anymore. I have to leave. Tonight.”

Kingsley stared at her. Her words wounded him somehow. This single action had cost him everything. Hell, it had cost Bella everything, too. Elysia was leaving. She wouldn’t be able to help either of them. If he had been strong, turned down the case, things might’ve worked out.

“Elysia,” he tried again.

She shook her head. “Goodbye, Kingsley.” And then she was gone, out the door without another word.

In shock, he sat alone on the couch, ignoring the scattered file on the floor. Instead, he reached into his pocket and stared at the small wrapped box. A tear came to his eye. He’d been so meticulous choosing the ring. He wanted it to be perfect. Now Elysia would never wear it, never see it, never marry him.

She'd left him--probably forever.
A Magical Evening by Sly Severus
Kingsley couldn’t believe his eyes. Holding Hermione in his arms, he stared at a ghost. It was real. She was standing there. Her long hair still sparkled in an unnatural way. Her looks had changed very little since she was seventeen. She still looked youthful and beautiful. Dressed in a green gown, he was reminded of their first night together.

Hermione pulled away from him and glanced at the door. She smiled. “Well, go talk to her.”

Kingsley froze. Could he do that? What if she only came out of anger? What if she came to tell him to leave her alone? Bella was dead. He hadn’t stopped it. He had no idea how she felt about him.

“Go,” Hermione encouraged him.

He still stood frozen, but it didn’t matter. Elysia had spotted him. A smile spread across her face. A familiar smile. The one he had seen so many times. There was no anger or resentment behind that smile. She was legitimately glad to see him.

However, she didn’t rush into his arms like she used to. Too much time had passed for that. Instead, she approached him slowly, offering her hand.

“Kingsley,” she said, as he accepted her hand.

“You came,” he choked, still staring like a fool.

“I had little choice,” she replied. “I was running out of room in my house for all the roses.”

“I wanted to get your attention.”

“Well done.”

Hermione smiled and began to back away. “I’ll leave you two alone.”

“Shall we dance?” Elysia asked. “I really didn’t come all this way for you to stare at me. If that’s all you wanted, I could’ve sent you a picture.”

“I’ve missed you. I can’t believe you’re really here.”

“I’ve missed you, too,” she replied. “Now dance with me.”

Kingsley laughed, wrapping his arms around her. Her body fit perfectly with his as if they were meant to go together. They moved around the room with grace like one person. They were in sync in every way. It felt perfect. Just like old times.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered in her ear.

She laughed. Never a more beautiful sound had been heard.

“After all this time, you apologize,” she said. “I was the one who left.”

“I provoked you. What I did was wrong. I knew what Bella meant to you.”

“Shhh.” Elysia put her finger to his lips. “Not now. We’ll talk about that later. I just want to enjoy this moment. You have no idea what it’s like to be in your arms again. God, how I’ve missed this feeling.”

Kingsley shut-up. There was no reason to argue with her. He was getting exactly what he wanted. She didn’t want to discuss the past. That was fine with him. As long as she was in his arms, all was right in his world.

As they danced around the room, he stared down at her, seeing only her. Harry and Ron were pointing at them, but he was utterly oblivious. He saw nothing but Elysia’s perfect image dancing in the candlelight. After all this time, she was finally back where she belonged. What more could he ask for? Even if it was only for this one night, it was more than he ever expected.

The song ended and another began, but neither of them noticed. They remained in each others arms. There was nothing outside their little bubble. In that moment, it was like no time had passed since their first kiss. Everything was blissfully perfect once again.

Kingsley wasn’t sure how much time had passed when he felt a tapping on his back. As much as hated to, he released Elysia from his grip, and turned to see who was interrupting them.

Harry and Ron stood beside him, smiling broadly. He wanted to strangle them. He honestly did. Couldn’t they tell this was the most important time in his life? Why did they feel the need to disturb him when he finally had Elysia by his side?

“Sorry, mate,” Ron said. “We just thought you might be getting tired. You’ve been out here for two hours.”

“Really?” Kingsley asked, totally unaware that so much time had passed.

“We thought you might need a rest,” Harry cut in. “And we thought we might like to meet your date.”

“Elysia, this is Harry Potter and Ron Weasley,” he told her. “No doubt you’ve heard of them. Mates, this is Elysia. Now, go away.”

Elysia laughed, putting her hand on Kingsley’s arm. “Don’t be so mean,” she scolded him. “I want to meet your friends.”

Kingsley did want Elysia to himself, but there was another reason he wanted to distance Elysia from Harry and Ron. If she made the connection between Ron and Molly, he had no idea how she would react. Molly killed Bella, and he knew Elysia could never forgive that, regardless of the circumstances.

“I don’t think Kingsley feels like sharing tonight,” Harry told her. “Perhaps another time. Are you planning to stay in town?”

She looked at Kingsley for a second, and then replied, “I hope to be staying for awhile.”

“Excellent,” Harry nodded. “Well, it was nice to meet you, Elysia. I hope you have a wonderful evening, and we’ll be sure to meet up before you leave.”

“I’d like that,” she told him, shaking his hand. Then she shook Ron’s hand and the two annoying Aurors disappeared into the crowd.

“The famous Harry Potter is very polite,” she told him, snuggling close to him, again. “I expected a brat.”

“He can be that, too,” Kingsley replied with a chuckle. “You told him you were planning on staying. Do you know for how long?”

She smiled widely. “I think we’ll just have to wait and see.”

“Tease.”

She smirked.

“Would you like to dance some more?” he asked.

“I think I’d rather go back to your place, if you don’t mind,” she replied, pulling away from him and standing up straight. “It’s late and we really should talk. There’s a lot to discuss.”

“Yes.” He nodded. “A lot to discuss.”

He took her hand, and together they Apparated to his loft.
Second Chances by Sly Severus
“It’s the same,” Elysia exclaimed, sitting down on the sofa. “I expected you would have a different place by now, but this is the same loft with the same furniture!”

Kingsley shrugged. “I’m not much of a decorator. This stuff has served the purpose. Would you like some wine?”

She nodded. “That’d be great.”

As he left the room, Kingsley felt a surge of warmth. After all this time, Elysia was back in his loft. He never thought it would be possible. Now all he had to do was make sure things ended differently this time. He’d do everything in his power to make sure he didn’t lose her again.

Digging through the cupboard, he was surprised to find two matching glasses. He really didn’t entertain, and had little use for two of anything. Smiling, he grabbed the wine from the fridge and walked back towards the living room. For the first time since Elysia had last been there, he started to feel the Christmas Spirit. Even the Hippogriff carols didn’t seem so bad.

When he re-entered his living room, he nearly dropped the wine. The room had been entirely transformed. A large tree was taking up most of the space, decorated with sparkling lights. Garland and balls decorated the walls and ceilings. Christmas music was even playing softly in the background.

“You’re house looked a little drab for Christmas Eve,” she told him.

He shook his head, handing her a glass and pouring them both a drink. “I suppose it did,” he said. “I don’t really bother celebrating the holidays.”

“That’s kind of sad,” she told him, curling into his arms as he settled on the sofa beside her. “I hope it’s not because of me. I know I left on Christmas Eve. But I suppose I shouldn’t make everything about me.”

Kingsley almost laughed. It was about her. Practically everything in his life had been about her. Every time he made a choice, he wondered if she’d approve. She was far away and he still tried to make her happy.

“You did a wonderful job,” he told her. “This looks lovely.”

“Thanks,” she replied, sipping the wine.

After that there was silence. Not the comfortable silence between happy lovers, but the awkward silence of a couple who doesn’t know how to proceed. For awhile, they just stayed in the each other’s arms. That was safe and comfy.

Kingsley was the first to speak. “There’s something I’ve always wanted to tell you”about Bella. I heard what you said before you left. I did what you asked. I made that investigation go away. And even as the years went on, as she got worse, I never went after her again. I had nothing to do with her arrest. I never raised my wand against her in battle. I vowed to never hurt you like that again.”

“Thank you,” she replied, sitting her glass down and turning to face him. “I appreciate that you looked out for her. She needed someone. She needed me. I was selfish to leave. I was mad at you, yes. But I still loved you. And Bella needed me. I don’t know why I did it. If I’d stayed everything might have been different. I might’ve been able to help Bella before things went too far. Maybe I could’ve saved her from Azkaban. Maybe I could’ve saved her life. Maybe I could’ve saved myself from being lonely and miserable all these years. I left my best friend and the man that I loved when a war was about to start.”

She took a deep breath, looked away.

“When I came to you tonight you apologized,” she continued. “You’re not the one who needs to apologize. I was in the wrong. I’m sorry I left you. I’m sorry I left Bella. I’m even sorry I left Lucius. Maybe I could’ve knocked some sense into my little brother, too.”

Kingsley was astounded by her words and the amount of guilt she had been carrying. Guilt that she didn’t deserve. She wasn’t responsible for saving Bella or Lucius. They made their own choices.

“I don’t think you were wrong,” he replied, realizing for the first time that the words were true. “You were in a painful situation. Bella and I were about to go to war”with each other. I’m glad you left without seeing that. There was nothing you could’ve done to change it. Out minds were made up. I was an Auror. I was happy with that. Bella was a Death Eater. She wasn’t about to back out. If you had stayed, you would’ve seen every battle wound. You would’ve watched Bella completely lose herself. You couldn’t have saved her, but you saved yourself by leaving. I could never hold that against you. If she was here, she’d say the same thing. I know because she loved you as much as I do.”

Tears streamed down Elysia’s face.

“You mean it?” she asked.

“Every word.”

She wrapped her hands around his head, pulling him into a kiss. Her tears dripped into his mouth, be he didn’t care.

“You really want me back?” she asked, pulling away suddenly.

“Did you think I was littering your house with roses because I was bored?” he asked. “Of course, I want you back. I’ve never wanted anything else.”

“You’re all I’ve ever wanted, too,” she replied, resting her head on his shoulders.

“So you’ll stay?” he asked.

“As long as you want me.”

“That could be a long time,” he warned. “We’re pretty much talking about forever here.”

“I can live with that,” she replied, wrapping her arms tightly around him.

He loved the feeling of her beside him. For so long, he’d been without that feeling. Having it back was the most amazing gift he’d ever received. More than anything, he wanted to stay like that forever.

“I don’t suppose your baby brother will be too happy about this,” he said. Honestly, he wasn’t that happy about having Lucius in his life either.

“He’ll play nice,” she replied. “Lucius isn’t the type to pick a fight with the Minister for Magic. Actually, he’ll probably like having you around. If he’ll forgive me for leaving, that is.”

“I’m sure he will,” Kingsley replied. “He’s done some insane things over the years. He doesn’t have a lot of room to judge.”

“None of us do,” she replied.

As she snuggled closer to him, he remembered something in his bedroom, tucked away in the back of his sock drawer. Something he had refused to look at or think about. Her ring. The gift he’d never been able to give her. The question he’d never been able to ask.

Carefully, he eased himself away from her, getting to his feet. He had to do it while he still had the nerve.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, looking up at him with tired eyes. She’d been ready to fall asleep in his arms.

“Not a thing,” he replied. “I’ll be right back. Just wait here.”

“What are you up to?” she asked, eying him suspiciously.

“Trust me?”

“Always.”

“Then wait.”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine.”

He wasn’t gone more than a second. He’d never felt so sure about anything. There was no way he was going to give himself time to reconsider. This was right. It had always been right, and he wasn’t going to let it slip away again.

Stepping back into the room, he was clutching the small box, slightly dusty from its days in the sock drawer. He stared at her, curled up on his sofa. He hadn’t thought about what to say. Things were going so fast, but he liked it that way. Everything felt right.

He sat beside her, instead of getting on one knee. Something about that seemed so hokey. That’s not the way he wanted Elysia to see his proposal.

“The year you left, I never got to give you your present,” he told her, taking her hand. “I don’t know why I kept it all these years. I knew I could never give it to another. Maybe I knew I’d get a second chance.”

He opened the box and presented her with the ring.

“Elysia Malfoy, will you marry me?”

Her eyes widened, and she didn’t respond. He nearly stopped breathing. It was too fast. He’d scared her. She was going to go running into the night again.

“Kingsley,” she said, at last. “I had no idea you were going to propose that night.”

“I loved you then,” he replied, squeezing her hand, “and I love you now. But if this is too fast, I understand. I should’ve waited. You just got in the door. I’m sorry. Just forget about it.”

He moved to take the box away, but she grabbed his hand.

“Don’t you dare,” she said, grabbing the tiny diamond from the box. He hadn’t had enough money to get a larger one at the time. “I don’t want to wait. We’ve wasted enough time. Of course, I’ll marry you.”

“Huh?” He was dumbfounded. Already, he had prepared for rejection. Acceptance couldn’t even register in his mind.

“I said, I’ll marry you,” she replied, sliding the ring on her own finger.

She held her hand out, admiring the ring. Her smile was so wide and so bright. He knew he’d done the right thing. They were ready for this, and they were finally going to be happy.

She fell back into his arms and whispered, “Happy Christmas, Kingsley.”

“Happy Christmas, Mrs. Shacklebolt.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81831