Christmas Goodbyes by Sly Severus
Summary: Death is never easy.

Watching his father from heaven, Cedric Diggory doesn't know what to do. His father is miserable without him. With the holidays right around the corner, Cedric wants nothing more than to be home for Christmas.

Written for Winter Snows - Home for Christmas by Sly Severus of Slytherin.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Character Death, Substance Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 3721 Read: 7481 Published: 12/05/08 Updated: 12/06/08

1. Look Inside Yourself by Sly Severus

2. Enough by Sly Severus

3. Home for Christmas by Sly Severus

Look Inside Yourself by Sly Severus
The cloud was puffy and comfy. Actually, it was more comfortable than anything on Earth, but that really didn’t make any difference to Cedric Diggory. Heaven was supposed to be this amazing place, where one knows nothing but happiness. That wasn’t the way for Cedric. Not the way, at all. Maybe he wasn’t in heaven, after all. Maybe he was in hell.

There were angels singing and gorgeous surroundings”the typical view of heaven, but there was nothing to make him happy only things to make him sad. He’d been given a small mirror upon his arrival, which he was able to use to watch his loved ones left behind. The mirror was meant to offer comfort, but it did no such thing.

Sometimes Cedric would watch Harry, forever grateful to him for returning his body to Hogwarts. There was nothing comforting to see there. Since Cedric’s death, Harry had been deemed a liar by the world, and was still trying to defeat the Dark Lord. His friend had a hard path to walk and Cedric was not at all envious of him.

Sometimes he would watch Cho, which also offered no comfort. She’d struggled horribly since his death. Becoming involved with Harry, only to feel guilty about it. He often wondered if the sweet girl would ever find happiness. He honestly believed that she deserved it more than most.

Most of his time, though, was dedicated to watching his father. Not only was there no comfort there, but there was grief. His father was hardly the man he’d left. He rarely left the house, usually not even bothering to go to work. He’d been fortunate that the Ministry understood instead of simply sacking him. Most of his days were spent staring at the walls”his nights finding the bottom of a bottle. Cedric ached for him”wanting nothing more than to help.

When he’d first arrived in his cloud-filled hell he’d been told that it would take some adjusting. He was told that he would be sad for awhile. Death was not an easy thing to accept, after all. However, he’d been there for half a year. If anything, he felt worse. There really was no happy ending for Cedric Diggory.

Sighing, he raised the mirror to his face, wishing to see his father. Amos Diggory appeared to him the way he always did, surrounded by a light fog. As always, he was seated in the living room, not moving, hardly breathing.

“How can I help you?” Cedric asked, feeling frustrated. “I can’t move on until you do. I can’t be at peace until you are.”

Briefly, he considered tossing the mirror off the cloud into the nothingness that surrounded him. The idea had occurred to him before, but, like this time, he was unable to go through with it. As much as it pained him to watch the living, he couldn’t sever the only remaining link he had to them. Without that, he would most definitely go insane.

“What do I do?” he yelled at the sky. “How can I make this better? He’s in so much pain. He’s in so much pain and I can’t help him.”

The mirror began to heat up in his hand. Baffled, he raised it to his face once more and gasped. He was no longer looking at Earth. Instead, he was looking at a message scribbled in fancy script.

Mr. Diggory,

You are unhappy here. You refuse to break ties with the past.

This is not an offer that is made often, but your constant melancholy must not continue.

There is a way to contact your father, again. Perhaps, a way to give him and yourself peace.

However, this is not easy. You must first look inside yourself. You must realize why it is you need to do this. If your motivations are clear, you will be taken to a Head Halo. The Head Halo will review your case and decide if you shall be granted access to the living world.

Please note, the only time you may contact the living is on Christmas Eve. You have one day.

Look inside yourself.

Good Luck.


At first, Cedric simply stared at the mirror, feeling dumbfounded. There was a chance he could see his father again”really see him. Maybe his first Christmas in heaven wouldn’t be so bad, after all. Maybe he wouldn’t even be in heaven. He might actually be able to go home for Christmas.

Shaking his head, he tried to focus. He didn’t have time for this. Getting his hopes up was pointless. Thinking about how great it would be wouldn’t get him there. Instead, he had to focus on the task at hand.

Look inside yourself.

What exactly did that mean? He felt like he was in the Tri-Wizard Tournament all over again. Just what he needed, clues that were hard to decipher. The mirror told him he had only one day. Couldn’t it give better instructions?

Sighing, he tried to obey. He rolled over on the cloud so his back was resting against its softness. His eyes stared up into an array of beautiful swirling colors. Colors that he couldn’t even name. Even the beauty of Hogwarts paled in comparison.

The mirror had told him to look inside himself. He was supposed to figure out why he wanted to go home. But that was simple. He wanted to help his father. What more was there to say?

He held the mirror in his hand.

“I want to go home for Christmas to help my father,” he said.

Nothing happened.

Again, he was tempted to throw it away, but knew he was even less likely to do it. That mirror was his only chance to get home. What more could it want?

As he continued to stare into the spinning lights, he realized something else. That wasn’t his only reason for going back. He did want to help his father. Of course, he did, but there was more. He also wanted to help himself, and that was his problem. He wanted to feel better, too. His motivations weren’t clear. They were mired by his own desires.

“What can I do about that?” he muttered aloud. “Of course, I want to feel better, but I want him to feel better too. Isn’t that enough?”

“Of course, it is,” a squeaky voice replied from behind him.
Enough by Sly Severus
Sitting up straight, Cedric turned towards the voice, and gasped. Standing beside him was something that resembled a house-elf. The creature was short and had the long nose and pointed ears of a house-elf. However, the skin was a pale blue and the eyes were large and innocent like a puppy dog.

“Um…hello,” Cedric said. “Who are you?”

“I’m Monoi, sir,” it replied in a voice that couldn’t be identified as male or female.

He didn’t want to be rude, but couldn’t stop himself. He just had to know. “What are you?” he asked.

“A halo-elf, sir,” he replied. Still not knowing the sex of the creature, Cedric decided to think of it as male. Somehow, that was easier for him to cope with. “I’m the heavenly version of a house-elf. I’m here to help you with your journey.”

“You mean I get to go home?” he asked.

“Perhaps,” the elf replied.

“But what about clear motivations?” Cedric questioned. “I want to go back for myself, as well as my father. Doesn’t that make me selfish? Doesn’t it disqualify me from going?”

“Not at all,” the elf told him, a slight smile forming on what appeared to be its mouth. “You were asked to figure out why you wanted to go. You weren’t being honest with yourself before. Well, you weren’t being honest with the mirror. You asked to go back only to help your father. You didn’t admit your personal reason. However, you admitted it to your father when talking to him through the mirror, so we assumed you’d figure it out.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You misinterpreted the mirror’s message,” Monoi explained. “Clear motivations meant motivations that were clear in your mind. You had to understand and admit what you wanted. All your motivations didn’t have to be selfless. You may be dead, boy, but you’re still human.”

“So I passed the first test, then?”

“Indeed,” he replied. “Now I will take you to meet a Head Halo. You’ll be meeting with Charity Clearmind. She’ll decide if your visit is allowable.”

“What makes a visit allowable?” Cedric asked.

“Mostly necessity,” he explained, sitting down on the cloud beside Cedric. “Her decision is based on her belief regarding the visit. Whether or not she thinks things can improve without your visit. In this case, if she feels your visit will truly help you and your father move on, she’ll grant it. If she feels that by sending you back, she’ll only increase your loneliness for each other, she’ll reject it.”

“But how do I convince her?” Cedric asked. “What do I say?”

“That I cannot tell you. You must choose your own words. I recommend you speak from the heart. But remember this, if your application is denied, there is good reason. Charity will do what is best for all those involved. That is, after all, a Head Halo’s job.”

Cedric felt panicked. Frantically, he searched his mind, trying to think of the right words. How could he explain what it would mean to him to speak to his father one last time? How could he explain that his father was alone in the world? One last visit from his son could surely grant him so much needed comfort.

“Are you ready?” Monoi asked.

“I”I don’t know,” Cedric stuttered, being honest. “I don’t want to say the wrong thing and miss the chance to go home.”

“You can think of it for thousands of years and never be sure,” the elf told him with a knowing glint in his eye. “You only have tonight. You must return tomorrow or not all. At least, not until next Christmas. You don’t want that, now do you?”

“Of course not.”

“Then it’s time for you to meet Charity,” he replied. “There’s nothing to fear. Head Halos are in no way frightening, and I will be with you. Consider me your guide and friend.”

“Thanks,” he said. He was genuinely thankful. A friend was exactly what he needed at that point.

“Are you ready, now?” Monoi rose to his feet, looking at Cedric expectantly. His eyes were soft and calming. They made him feel like he could really do this.

“I’m ready.”

“Rise and take my hand,” Monoi instructed. “You might want to close your eyes. The spinning gets a bit hard to take. You may be a wizard, but I assure you, you’ve never experienced anything like this.”

Cedric nodded as he got to his feet. Not for a second did he doubt the elf’s words. After staring into the colorful swirls that were forever above his head, he knew heaven offered many things that magic could never dream of. That was only appropriate, after all.

As instructed, Cedric took the elf’s hand and closed his eyes. He couldn’t see what was happening, but he could feel it. Wind howled around him. His stomach heaved, a sensation he never expected to feel after he was dead.

Finally, the madness around him settled. His feet were touching solid ground again, but he still didn’t open his eyes. He was afraid. What if it wasn’t over?

“You can open your eyes,” Monoi told him, as if reading his mind. “It’s over. And there’s someone who wants to meet you.”

Opening his eyes, Cedric gasped. He was in an enclosed chamber that reminded him of a seashell. Everything was white and sparkling. His eyes struggled to adjust from the darkness. Up a tiny flight of stairs sat an elegant chair, probably crafted of gold, if gold existed in heaven.

Despite the beauty of the room, it all paled in comparison to the woman seated on the chair. Cedric had never seen such beauty or even imagined that it existed. In that moment, he realized that a Head Halo must be very similar to an angel.

“Hello, Cedric,” she spoke in a voice that sounded like thousands of singing doves. He nearly fell over. “I understand you wish to return to the land of the living for Christmas. Can you tell me why?”

He tried to think. His mind was befuddled. There was so much beauty surrounding him. His own thoughts were confused. He didn’t know how to proceed.

“Speak from your heart,” Monoi whispered.

Hearing the now familiar squeak of the elf, his mind began to focus. He was there for a reason. All he had to do was state the reason. He’d been making things too difficult. There was really nothing for him to think about at all.

”For closure,” he replied. “I know that many people don’t get closure when they die, but I have to ask. My father is miserable. My mother died many years ago, and I’ve enjoyed visits with her since my arrival. However, my father does not have that privilege. There is no one for him to turn to. Myself, I cannot find peace until he does. Knowing he is miserable because of me, will make me miserable, too. This situation may not be that unique, and it might not be enough to get your blessing. I understand that. But I’ve told you the truth. I don’t believe the mirror would’ve given me this chance if I weren’t meant to go home.”

Charity smiled. The sight was almost too much to behold. Cedric knew that kind of beauty could never exist on Earth. No one could control themselves around it. The world would be left in utter chaos.

“You have done well,” she told him. “You are a young boy, but you think like a compassionate man. I cannot, in good conscience, allow you and your father to suffer. I will allow your request.”

Cedric wanted to scream with joy. He was hardly able to contain himself. He’d have his chance. Even being dead, he’d make it home for Christmas.

“Thank you,” was all he managed to say.

“You’re welcome, Cedric,” she replied, “but there are certain things you need to know. This visit isn’t what you think it is.”

“I’m sorry?” he asked, feeling his heart sink. Another feeling he thought had been lost with his last breath.

“You’re right to look disappointed,” she replied, looking sad herself. “You can’t go home and have a wonderful holiday season. Cedric, you’re dead. You can’t go back and talk to your father. There are laws against that. All I can offer you is a chance to be there. Your father won’t see you, but he will sense you. It’ll be enough.”

He didn’t think she was right. How could that be enough? His father was nearly drowning himself in alcohol. He needed more than to sense Cedric. Didn’t he?

“For now, I will return you to your cloud,” Charity continued. “Monoi will come tomorrow morning to escort you home. Don’t fret, Cedric. It’ll be enough. Trust me, I know.”

Somehow, Cedric couldn’t help but believe her. Suddenly, he was sure it would be enough. It had to be.
Home for Christmas by Sly Severus
That night Cedric didn’t use his mirror. Instead, he spent the night watching the swirling colors”thinking what he’d do when he saw his father. How could he reach out to him if his father couldn’t see or hear him? There had to be a way. Otherwise, Charity wouldn’t have told him it would be enough. He was certain that a Head Halo couldn’t lie.

Still, the entire night passed and he was no closer to having a plan. He had no idea how to reach his father. That knowledge terrified him. What if he couldn’t figure it out? What if he wasted his one chance to say goodbye?

“I thought you were told not to fret,” Monoi said, magically appearing at his side.

“I can’t help it,” Cedric replied, throwing his hands into the air. “I just don’t want to ruin this opportunity.”

“You won’t,” Monoi assured him. “It’s time to go.”

Cedric nodded, rising to his feet.

“Take my hand, again,” Monio explained, “but this time you can keep your eyes opened. You’ll probably enjoy the view.”

“Are you sure?” Cedric was uncertain. After the last trip, he didn’t feel like taking chances. If his dead stomach could get fluttery with his eyes shut, he didn’t want to know what could happen with them open.

The elf laughed. It was a strange sound, but nice. His voice helped to calm Cedric, just like it did when he explained himself to Charity.

“Trust me,” Monoi said.

Nodding, Cedric stepped forward to take the elf’s hand. He did trust him. If Monoi wanted him to keep his eyes opened, he would. In many ways, the elf really had become like a friend to him. He hadn’t had a friend since he died.

The moment his hand touched Monoi’s things began to change. The clouds around them began to fade into the background, and something else started to come into focus through a fog. After a few seconds, he could distinguish images. They were standing on a quaint street and the ground was covered by a light snow. Glancing around, he could see Christmas trees lighting up most windows. All the windows, except the most familiar one.

His house.

He was standing outside his house on Christmas Eve. It was a miracle. His very own Christmas miracle.

“You can go inside,” Monoi told him. “Just walk through the door, like a real ghost.”

“Aren’t you coming with me?” Cedric asked. Strangely, he didn’t want to be parted from the little elf. He’d grown accustomed to having Monoi at his side during the important moments.

“I can’t,” he replied. “This was your request. You have to go in alone. I’ll be here when you’re done.”

“How long can I stay?”

“Until it’s done,” the elf replied. “You’ll know.”

Again, Cedric was reminded of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Why couldn’t anyone give him a straight answer? He’d had enough riddles while he was alive.

Slowly, Cedric moved towards his childhood home. The snow didn’t crunch beneath his feet. He couldn’t really explain why, but that made him sad. It just seemed like something else he’d lost.

When he approached the door, he automatically reached for the handle. Of course, his hand went right through it. His stomach lurched and it took him a few minutes to recover. Then he remembered Monoi’s advice and stepped through the door.

The living room came into focus. Little had changed since he’d last been there. The sofa was pushed against the wall, surrounded by two chairs. The tattered old carpet still clung to the floor. He was home.

His eyes landed on his father, slumped in one of the chairs, the one closest to the fireplace. Of course, there was no fire. The house must’ve been freezing, but he couldn’t be sure. As a ghost, he had no sense of temperature.

Remaining by the door, he watched his father. The man was hunched over, tears filled his eyes. His house showed no signs that it was Christmas, but the look on his face declared that he couldn’t forget. Amos couldn’t forget that it was Christmas. He was alone for Christmas.

A bottle rested on the table in front of him. Cedric couldn’t read the label, but he didn’t need to. There was no doubt in his mind that it was alcohol. His father rarely drank anything else.

Standing at the door, he wanted to cry himself. He was home for Christmas, but why did it matter? He wasn’t doing any good.

A single tear slid down his father’s cheek and Cedric lost it.

“Dad,” he cried, running across the room and wrapping his arms around his father. Surprisingly, his arms didn’t go through him. He could feel his dad.

“Cedric?” Amos asked. “I can sense you. Are you here?”

“I am,” Cedric replied, knowing he couldn’t be heard. It didn’t matter. He wanted to talk anyway. “I love you, Dad. I’m sorry; I can’t be with you anymore. I just want you to know that you were a great dad. I was lucky to have you.”

“If you’re here, son, I love you,” Amos said, looking around the room. “I miss you. No one could ask for a better son.”

When his father finished speaking, a warmth filled Cedric. All the sadness and bitterness seemed to drain out of him. He felt happy.

Watching his father, he saw something similar happening. There was actually a smile on his face. He rose from the chair and went to start a fire. It was a small step, but it was a step. Cedric knew his father was on his way to getting over his death.

That was all he needed.

Like Monoi had said, he knew it was time to go. Everything was going to be all right. For the first time since his death, he was certain of that. Even Harry and Cho were going to be all right. He didn’t know how, but he knew they would be. It was enough.

“I love you,” he said one last time, and then turned to leave.

Just as he was walking through the door, he heard his father say, “I love you, Cedric. Goodbye.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81861