Turning the Page by Sly Severus
Summary: Andromeda Tonks has lost nearly everything. Now is she left to raise a child alone. Overwhelmed with grief and fear, she finds one person to turn to in the chaos.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 10131 Read: 23496 Published: 12/28/08 Updated: 01/13/09

1. Silence by Sly Severus

2. The Hardest Day by Sly Severus

3. The Magical Touch by Sly Severus

4. Feeling Good by Sly Severus

5. The Morning After by Sly Severus

6. A Promise by Sly Severus

7. Ted's Gift by Sly Severus

8. Perfect by Sly Severus

Silence by Sly Severus
The baby was asleep in her arms and the house was quiet—too quiet. The soundless house made her uncomfortable. For a few moments, she feared she’d gone deaf, but little Teddy sighed to reassure her. She simply wasn’t used to silence. Ted wasn’t a silent man. He was always pounding away at something. But Ted was gone. He’d never make another sound in their home.

For the last little while, she’d grown accustomed to the sounds of her daughter moving about the house. Having Dora home had been a great comfort to her. Being able to hold her child when her husband was gone was a gift. She’d always be grateful Dora had come home when she did.

However, that night Dora was gone. Gone with her husband into a battle and she didn’t know why. Dora wasn’t supposed to go that night. Remus made her promise that she wouldn’t. He wanted to ensure that one of them was there to take care of Teddy. Dora seemed to understand that. She didn’t argue. Not once.

As the evening went on, Dora had become restless. She paced around the room, disturbing Teddy in her arms. Andromeda had watched her. Silently praying that her daughter would not leave the house.

Her prayers were not answered.

“I have to go,” she said, at last.

“Dora, no,” Andromeda pleaded. “Stay. Your son needs you. I need you. Please.”

“My husband needs me,” she insisted, grabbing a light coat. “I can feel it, Mom. Something’s wrong. I have to get to him.”

“Remus wanted you to stay here,” Andromeda reminded her, but she knew it was useless. Dora’s hair had turned a shade of bright red, and her eyes glinted with determination. When Dora looked like that there was no reasoning with her. She’d made up her mind, and nothing could change it.

“I love you, Mom,” she said, stopping beside the door. “I know you want me here. I know Teddy needs me. You have each other. Remus is alone. We’ll be back. I promise.”

With those words, her daughter was gone. The door closed loudly behind her. Andromeda was left with silence and fear. Clinging to her sleeping grandson, she tried not to cry.

Teddy slept peacefully. He was used to his grandmother’s arms, and had no idea that anything was wrong. He didn’t know that his parents were risking their lives. He didn’t know that an evil man could take over the entire wizarding world that night. To him, everything was normal and safe. Andromeda was terribly jealous of the oblivious infant.

Her own thoughts were filled with horrible possibilities. She wouldn’t let her mind finish a single thought. She couldn’t picture the terrible things she dreamed of. Wouldn’t let herself face the worst scenarios.

Rocking the baby back and forth, she began to talk to him.

“Everything will be okay,” she said. “They’ll come home. Your mom is always putting herself in dangerous positions. She always comes back. And now she has you, all the more reason to fight. She’ll be back.”

Andromeda rambled like that long into the night. The sleeping child wasn’t aware of her babbling.

As the night darkened her prattling began to subside. Desperately, she tried to remember when her daughter had left. How long had she been gone? Shouldn’t she be back? How long would a battle like this take?

Unable to sit still any longer, she lowered Teddy into his crib and began to pace the room. Her footsteps broke the silence, and somehow that offered her a small amount of comfort. As her mind raced, she even imagined that the footsteps belonged to Dora. For a few minutes, she could even convince herself that Dora was upstairs.

She paced faster. Her mind was spinning. She was no longer having coherent thoughts. Her fear had taken over completely. All her mind could focus on was tiny, senseless flashes.

Ted taking Dora to the playground.

Blood spattering a stone wall.

Dora dancing with Remus on their wedding night.

Blood falling to the ground.

She was certain that she was going mad. Fear had devoured her brain, leaving her nothing. When Dora came home she’d find her mother huddled on the floor. She’d be locked away in St. Mungos. Maybe she’d share a room with the Longbottoms.

The baby whimpered, but she didn’t go to him. His cries sounded distant and even unimportant. In her mind, nothing seemed important anymore. Nothing was real. Only the fear existed.

Finally, a sound pulled her out of her disconnected thoughts. A knock at the door. That single noise brought her back to normal thinking. There was news. Someone was coming to tell her something.

She rushed towards the door, but stopped dead in front of it. Again, she was surrounded by fear. Dora wouldn’t knock. This was her home. If Dora had come back, she’d come in. Why would anyone else come to the house that night? Unless…

Shaking her head, she forced her hand to reach towards the door. Standing there scaring herself wasn’t going to help. She’d spent the whole night doing that. It was time to open the door—face whatever was coming. She couldn’t hide from it.

Pulling back the door, she saw the grim face of Kingsley Shacklebolt staring back at her. There were no signs of comfort there. A single tear fell down his cheek. Even the tiniest glimmer of hope left her. It was over.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “The war is over. We won, but Tonks isn’t coming home. She and Remus were both killed. I’m truly sorry.”

A cry escaped from Andromeda, but she didn’t even realize the sound came from her. She fell, but Kingsley grabbed her before she reached the ground. Tears streamed down her face.

Her baby. Her baby was gone.

Kingsley carried her to the sofa, lying her down gently. She didn’t feel his touch or know where she was. She only knew that her baby was gone.

“You’ll be okay,” Kingsley whispered to her. “Close your eyes. You need to sleep. I’ll stay here. You’ll be okay. Teddy will be okay. Just sleep.”

His strong voice penetrated her grief, and somehow she believed him. She closed her eyes, immediately drifting away. Once again, she was surrounded by silence.
The Hardest Day by Sly Severus
Author's Notes:
A special thank you to MithrilQuill for betaing this chapter, and for listening to me freak out about my poor, sick computer.
Only a few days ago the darkest wizard of the age had been defeated. The wizarding world was still celebrating his demise. Every time she dared to leave her home, she was greeted by smiling faces. Ignorant faces. The faces of people who had lost nothing and gained everything. The people celebrating weren’t the people who’d fought. They were people who didn’t understand what had been sacrificed. She hated them all.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, she stared out the window into the bright sunlight. Outside, everything was bright and happy. Inside, it was dark and dreary, showing her true mood.

She could hear Teddy cooing down the hall, but didn’t bother to go to him. He wasn’t crying, for once. The first day he’d been fine. He was used to his grandmother and comfortable in her arms. After that, he wanted his parents. He didn’t know where they were, and she couldn’t tell him that they were never coming back. She couldn’t explain death to an infant. She couldn’t even explain it to herself.

Sighing, she looked away from the window. The brightness only made her mood bleaker. What right did the sun have to shine on the day her daughter would be put in the ground? The weather should have been dark and rainy. The weather should’ve mourned Dora the way Andromeda did.

Moving towards the mirror, she glanced at her reflection. She looked more like Bellatrix every day. The thought did nothing to sooth her mind. Andromeda didn’t know who had killed her daughter, but if it wasn’t her sister, it might as well have been. Bellatrix served nothing but the Dark Lord. There was nothing of her sister left in that shell when it finally died.

Andromeda didn’t want to be like her sister, but each day she looked harder. Even her eyes seemed to grow cold. She hated it.

She hated everything.

A knock on the door pulled her mind back into focus. She ran a brush through her hair, peered at her long black gown one last time, and then hurried towards the door. She’d had nothing but visitors for the last few days, and really didn’t want anymore. However, the manners instilled in her as a child remained. She couldn’t ignore a knock at the door anymore than she could ignore the torture curse.

Pulling the door back, her eyes landed on Kingsley. She hadn’t seen him since the night of her daughter’s death, and his presence caused an eerie sense of déjà vu. Her stomach churned, but she ignored it. It wasn’t Kingsley’s fault he’d been the one to tell her. He’d been very kind, taking care of her and Teddy through the night.

He was dressed in fine robes, looking perfectly somber. His appearance was ideal for a funeral. It was clear he had taken great care with his appearance out of respect for Dora. His effort meant a lot to her.

“I thought you might need a friend today,” he said, his voice gentle and even. “I could accompany you to the church, if you’d like. You shouldn’t be alone.”

She hadn’t thought of that. With Ted and Dora gone, she expected to be doing just about everything alone. The offer warmed her slightly, even her personal abyss of darkness.

“Thank you,” she replied, accepting his extended hand. “I’d appreciate that.”

“Of course,” he said. “Your daughter was a great friend to me. She was very special and will be greatly missed.”

The words were clichéd, and she’d heard them before from Order Members and Aurors. She’d been annoyed each time, but somehow coming from Kingsley, she felt different about them. They sounded more sincere.

“Shall we go?” he asked, inching towards the door. There was a certain amount of uncertainty in his manner. He was uncomfortable—unsure what to do. Like everyone else, he was at a loss. Death had a way of doing that to people. Even the strongest of them.

“I just need to get Teddy,” she said, pulling her hand away and stepping back.

“You’re bringing him?” Kingsley asked, raising his eyebrow slightly.

Andromeda nodded, not at all put out by his reaction. “I do hope he won’t fuss,” she said, “but he needs to be there. He has more right to be there than anyone else. Today he loses both of his parents. I want him to be surrounded by people who loved them, not alone with a random sitter.”

A small smile came to his face, and he nodded. Any trace of skepticism was gone from his face. She knew he understood. He probably even understood the part she didn’t tell him. The fact that she simply didn’t want to be away from Teddy on this day. He was the only family she had left, and she wanted him by her side as she said goodbye to her only child.

Leaving Kingsley alone in the foyer, she rushed up the stairs to retrieve her grandson. She found him in his crib, curled into a little ball. His hair was flashing colors. That seemed to be a sign that he was upset. It had been flashes like that since he realized his parents weren’t coming home.

She lifted the tiny baby into her arms. No matter how many times she held him, she couldn’t get over how light he was. Looking back, she could still remember when Dora had been his size. So fragile and innocent. Back then it had been so easy to protect her from the dangers of the world.

Tears began to spill down her cheeks. Little Teddy reached towards them. Wiping them away, almost as if he were trying to comfort her. Despite her misery, she couldn’t help but laugh.

“Thanks, Teddy,” she told him. “Are you ready to go? It’s going to be a hard today. We’ve got to say goodbye to your parents today.”

He stared up at her with his big eyes. Of course, he didn’t understand a word she said, but he knew that she was sad. He knew his parents were gone. Even at his young age, he probably grasped the situation around him as well as any adult. Andromeda wished she could shield him from that kind of loss.

Holding him tightly in her arms, she headed back downstairs. Kingsley remained exactly where she left him. His eyes had been focused on some childhood pictures of Dora, but he quickly looked away as she approached. He was probably trying to spare her from explaining the photos, and talking about happy memories with her daughter.

Happy memories were hard to face when there would be no more.

“We’re ready,” Andromeda told him, her voice shaking slightly. She was lying, of course. No mother was ever ready to bury her child. No child was ever ready to bury his parents. However, they were as ready as they could be.

Kingsley said nothing. He simply wrapped his arm around her shoulders and led her into the sunlit day. She didn’t tell him, but his comforting touch was the only thing that kept her from running into the house and hiding under the bed.
The Magical Touch by Sly Severus
Teddy was screaming. The sound ripped through her head like a nail piercing her brain. Of course, she’d heard Teddy cry before, but his mother usually tended to him, and he settled right down. She wasn’t used to having the full responsibility of a baby. She had forgotten how to handle that after Dora became a woman.

“What do you want?” she asked, rocking the tiny infant. “You’ve eaten. You’ve been changed. I don’t know how to help you.”

Teddy continued to howl and his hair turned bright red.

Ginny came running into the room, holding another bottle. “Try this,” she said.

Harry and Ginny had been spending entirely too much time at her house. She was looking forward to the start of term so Ginny would return to school, and hopefully Harry would focus on his new job. She knew they loved Teddy, and wanted to help. But the simple truth was neither of them knew the first thing about children. If she left Teddy alone with them, she’d come back to find the defenseless infant had overpowered them. Most of the time, she felt like she was taking care of three children when they were there.

“I just fed him, Ginny,” she said, sounding more impatient than she intended. After all, Ginny was trying to help. “I can’t feed him every few seconds.”

She took the bottle to set it aside. “It’s not even warm. His formula has to be heated.”

“There’s so much to this,” Harry exclaimed, entering the room with Teddy’s favorite stuffed owl. Andromeda took the owl and continued trying to soothe the infant. ”I don’t know how you do this all day, every day. I’m not sure Ginny and I will ever be ready for it.”

A smile came to Andromeda’s face as Teddy’s shrieks settled to whimpers. With his little hand, he reached towards the owl, closing his tiny fingers around the beak. For the moment, he was happy. There was peace in the house. Only a few weeks ago, silence seemed to taunt her. Now, she found herself longing for it.

Glancing at Harry, she felt some of her impatience towards him evaporate. She hadn’t been fair with him. He and Ginny were kids. They weren’t ready to take care of a child. They were trying to step up because of how much they loved Teddy’s parents. She should’ve been grateful for their help, no matter how unhelpful it usually was.

“You’ll be ready,” she told him, her voice sounding soft and friendly again, “or as ready as anyone. Raising children isn’t easy, but it’s very rewarding. And look at it this way, you’re already learning what to do with Teddy. You and Ginny will make wonderful parents when the time comes.”

Harry smiled, and draped his arm around Ginny’s shoulders. Since the war had ended, their relationship had been moving quickly. They were making up for all the time they’d lost living in fear. Andromeda was happy for them, but she was jealous too. The war was over and their love continued to grow. Her husband was gone.

“Thanks,” Harry said. “I know we’re not that helpful. We really don’t know what we’re doing. It’s just, Remus and T—Dora made Teddy my godson. I love him. I want to do anything I can for him—and you.”

“Thank you,” she replied. “I really do appreciate it. I know they would’ve wanted you here—wanted you to be a part of his life. I’m glad he has both of you.”

The room settled in silence. Everyone was exhausted. Teddy had fallen asleep in Andromeda’s arms, and she rested her head against the chair, closing her eyes. Ginny cuddled in Harry’s arms. There was no need to talk anymore. They were all enjoying the peace Teddy was finally allowing them to have.

Andromeda had begun to doze when Ginny’s voice woke her.

“We should go,” she said to Harry. She was nearly whispering, trying not to wake Andromeda, but it was a lost cause. The sound of needle dropping would’ve woken her. She was always listening for sounds of danger, scared someone was coming to hurt her grandson. The war was over, but it would be a long time before the fear would be over. “You know Mom wants everyone home for dinner. She can’t stand that Fred’s not there. She needs the rest of us.”

Opening her eyes, Andromeda saw tears welling in Ginny’s eyes. The loss of her brother had hit her hard, but she was still going. She was being strong. Andromeda often thought the child had more strength than she did.

Harry nodded.

“Andromeda,” he said carefully, not realizing that she was already awake.

“It’s okay,” she said. “Go be with Molly. I can take care of things here.”

“We’ll come back tonight,” Harry offered. “See how he’s doing. Maybe we can bring him a new toy—something to keep him occupied. It might make him cry less.”

“You don’t have to come back tonight,” she insisted. “I really do appreciate the help, but the Weasley’s need you, too. I can take care of Teddy. And he doesn’t need more toys. I don’t want to spoil him.”

“Are you sure you don’t want us to come back?” Ginny asked.

“We’ll be fine,” Andromeda replied, looking at her sleeping grandson. At that moment, she even believed her own words.

“Okay,” Harry agreed, somewhat reluctantly. “The Weasleys probably do want to see more of their daughter. We’ll be back in the morning though.”

“Of course,” Andromeda replied, almost laughing. She knew they wouldn’t stay away long. “Have a good evening. Tell the others I said hello.”

A few seconds later, Harry and Ginny disappeared through her fireplace in flurry of green flames. The sound of the departure caused Teddy to move in her arms. Rolling over, his owl fell to the floor. He opened his mouth and began to wail again.

She grabbed the owl from the floor, but it didn’t help. Teddy showed no interest in it. Instead, he simply continued to bawl. His hair flashed between red and blue. Again, she didn’t know what to do for him.

She felt like crying. She was terrible at this. She was too old to be a mother again. Her instincts had dried up. Dora would know what to do. Teddy was her son, and she was the one who could care for him. But Dora was gone.

Using her wand to heat the discarded bottle, she tried to feed him. He pulled his head away from the bottle, wailing even louder. In her arms, he began to squirm and kick.

She checked his diaper. She checked his temperature. Nothing.

Finally, she took him to his crib wondering if he simply wanted out of her arms. That didn’t help either. He continued kicking the air and screaming. She was starting to worry that he’d damage his vocal cords.

Unable to do anything for him, she collapsed on the sofa and sobbed herself. What was she doing? She couldn’t do this. Teddy needed her and she was failing him. Dora trusted her with Teddy and she was messing it up. She couldn’t even get him to stop crying. The child probably would’ve been better off in an orphanage than with her.

The house was filled with the sounds of sorrow. Her own sobs becoming as loud as Teddy’s. It was a wonder she could even hear the knock at the door.

At first she considered ignoring it. Harry and Ginny were at the Weasleys. Who else would be visiting her? Dora’s friends had stopped dropping by to pay their respects. She was alone. Alone with a sobbing infant.

Finally, she decided to answer it, swiping away her tears. She didn’t even care who it was. Any company would be welcome. Maybe it was someone who could help with Teddy.

When she opened the door she saw Kingsley standing there once again. Soon he’d be stopping by as often as Harry, but she felt no annoyance. Seeing him standing there, so calm and kind, she wanted to throw her arms around him. He was truly becoming her savior.

“Are you all right?” he asked. A look of concern crossed his face.

“No,” she admitted, in no mood to save face. “I can’t do anything right. I’m a disaster. Dora should’ve never left Teddy with me. I can’t even get him to stop crying.” Fresh tears poured down her cheeks and she didn’t bother to brush them away.

“It’s all right,” he told her, pulling her into a hug. “You’re not a disaster. Babies cry. They cry a lot. We can’t always make them stop. And think about poor Teddy. I’m sure he’s still confused. He could be crying for one of his parents.”

He held her until she settled. His embrace had a comforting affect. She relaxed against his chest and cried until there was nothing left in her. It felt good—like she’d finally let it out.

When she stopped Teddy was still crying.

Stepping back, she wiped her eyes. “I just wish I could help him.”

“I’d be happy to try,” Kingsley offered.

She ushered him inside. If there was another person Dora would’ve trusted with Teddy’s upbringing, it would’ve been Kingsley. He was her partner. She’d trusted him with her life. Maybe her son would sense some of that.

Kingsley stepped into the house with an air of familiarity, even though he’d only been there a few times. He was completely comfortable in her home—with her. She liked that. She couldn’t explain why, but it made her feel better—assured somehow.

The crib was settled in the middle of the living room. She left it there during the daytime and moved it upstairs at night. She always kept Teddy as close to her as possible.

Approaching the crib, Kingsley smiled despite the horrible shrieks coming from Teddy. He picked the baby up, and rocked him softly. He didn’t even have to speak. Teddy relaxed in his arms. He stopped screaming. His hair turned to soft yellow. Within a few seconds he was asleep.

Maybe her grandson felt as safe in Kingsley’s arms as she did.

“Thank you,” she whispered as Kingsley lowered the sleeping infant back into the crib. “You must have the magical touch.”

“Glad I could help,” he replied.

“How about I make you dinner,” she offered, afraid he might leave. She wanted him to stay. His presence had a calming affect on both her and Teddy. “Nothing special. I wouldn’t want to wake him banging around in the kitchen. But I’d love to have your company.”

“Sure,” he replied, smiling widely. “That sounds great.”
Feeling Good by Sly Severus
Rushing around the house, Andromeda threw Teddy’s favorite toys in a bag. Every few seconds, she would stop with a toy in her hand debating if it should go. She didn’t want Teddy to be without anything, but she could only send so much. Already, she’d packed enough clothes for a week and he’d only be gone for the night.

Every time she glanced at little Teddy she felt a surge of panic. Was she doing the right thing? Was he really ready to be without her for such a long period of time? Were Harry and Ginny really ready to take care of him overnight? Was she just being selfish, wanting some grown up time?

As if to answer her question, little Teddy laughed.

She laughed, too. She was being ridiculous. It was one night. The time would do her and Teddy good. He needed to be exposed to the world beyond her hovering. She needed some time for herself. Besides it wasn’t like she was leaving with him two inexperienced children. Harry and Ginny were taking him to the Weasley’s. He would have Molly to care for him. She’d managed to raise seven children of her own. Andromeda could certainly trust her with Teddy.

She lowered the bag to the floor and went to Teddy’s crib. His crying fits had stopped weeks ago. Finally, he was beginning to adjust to life without his parents. In her own way, Andromeda was adjusting too. What other choice did she have?

Pulling Teddy into her arms, she settled on the sofa. She was done packing. He’d have enough toys for the night. Harry had probably bought him half a dozen new things just for the visit anyway.

“I’m going to miss you tonight,” she told him, stroking his currently purple hair. “But you’re going to have a great time with Harry. You’ll come home so spoiled I won’t know what to do with you.”

He smiled up at her, almost as if he understood every word. Maybe he did. After all, his mother had always been smart for her age.

She snuggled with him on the sofa until Harry arrived about fifteen minutes later. He popped through the fireplace holding a baby bag. Looking at her, his eyes revealed his nervousness. That didn’t upset her though. She knew he wasn’t nervous about taking care of Teddy, nothing else seemed to make him happier, and he really was getting better at it. He was nervous that she would change her mind, and refuse to let Teddy spend the night. His fear was well grounded so she didn’t hold it against him.

“He’s all set,” she said, forcing a smile, and willing herself not to tighten her grip on the baby. “I’ve packed him some clothes and toys. More than you’ll ever need.”

Harry spotted the bag on the floor and nodded. “Thanks.”

She didn’t respond, staring down at her grandson. She was starting to have second thoughts. Was she really ready to be away from him for so long?

“I wanted to thank you for this,” Harry continued a few seconds later. “I’m grateful to have the extra time with Teddy. And this is going to do wonders for Molly. She’s been struggling so much. With Fred’s death and the…incident.”

The incident? Andromeda almost laughed. She’d actually forgotten how her sister died. Not that there was much of Bella left when she’d been killed. That wouldn’t make things any easier for Molly. Andromeda couldn’t imagine the guilt of having taken a life, even a life that was already over in every other way.

Her second thoughts seemed to evaporate. She didn’t need to be selfish with her grandson. She loved Teddy, but so did Harry. Dora would want her son to have a full life with as many loved ones as possible. She’d be happy that her son could do something to ease Molly’s pain.

“He’ll have a great time,” Andromeda said. She rose to her feet and placed Teddy in Harry’s arms. “He needs to get out of this house more.” She kissed Teddy on the cheek. “Have a great night. Be good for Harry.”

As Harry approached the fireplace with Teddy in his arms, the little boy looked back at her. A tear escaped from her right eye as she watched him disappear in the green flames.

For a few moments, she stood alone staring after her grandson, but she didn’t dwell on it. Teddy would be fine. He was in good hands. Besides, she had things to do. Teddy’s night out was also her only night to do something for herself.

Rushing to the kitchen, she got to work on the meal. She’d been seeing a lot of Kingsley since Dora’s death. He’d become somewhat of a permanent fixture in her life. She had no objections. She loved having him around. Still, after everything he’d done for her, all she managed to do for him was give him a rushed meal while Teddy slept. This was her night to make up for that—make him something nice.

Her culinary skills weren’t bad. She’d always managed to feed her own family, but she was a bit out of practice. After Dora left, she and Ted didn’t bother as much with meals. Then with Teddy, she was lucky to find time to make a sandwich. Not wanting to take on something she couldn’t handle, she decided to make a simple meal. Something she was unlikely to mess up. Spaghetti and meatballs.

Everything was well underway when there was a soft knock on the door. She set aside the spoon she’d been using to stir the sauce and rushed to open it. To her, it seemed almost ludicrous that he still bothered to knock. He came by almost daily. Knocking was a formality that he should’ve outgrown.

Opening the door, she smiled.

“Hi,” he said, hugging her slightly. “That smells great.”

“Thanks,” she replied, ushering him into the house. “Be understanding when you try it though; it’s the first thing I’ve cooked in months.”

“I’m sure it’ll be wonderful,” he replied, “Would you like help with anything?”

“No thanks,” she said. “Everything is just finishing up.”

He took a seat at the table. “You’re doing really well. I thought you’d be upset with Teddy gone.”

She shrugged. “It was hard to let him go. I’m so used to him being no more than a room away, but it can’t be like that forever. He’ll have fun, and he’s in capable hands with Molly around. Besides, this gives us some time alone. I haven’t had a chance to thank you for everything you’ve done. I don’t think I could’ve gotten through all this without you.”

He smiled. “No thanks are needed. I’m glad I could help out. And it certainly hasn’t been a burden. I love spending time with you and Teddy.”

“We love it, too,” she told him.

Their eyes locked, and everything else in the room faded away. They’d shared moments like this before, but each time Teddy would cry and the world would come back into focus. Teddy wasn’t there. There was nothing to interrupt the moment.

Kingsley reached out to her, brushing her cheek. Without thinking, she lowered her lips to him. His touch was soft and right.

The sauce began to burn, but neither of them noticed the smell. After all of Andromeda’s worries, dinner had been forgotten.

Abandoning all sense of propriety, Andromeda settled on Kingsley’s lap, tugging at his clothes. A small part of her was saying something was wrong. She shouldn’t be doing this, but she ignored it without realizing what it was telling her. Being in Kingsley’s arms felt good. For once, she just wanted to feel good.

His hands wrapped around hers as she struggled to remove his clothes. He stopped her, and pulled away from her embrace.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

The same tiny voice screamed no, but she ordered it shut up.

“Yes,” she whispered to him. “I want this.”

There was no more conversation. There was no dinner. But the night was better than anything Andromeda had imagined.
The Morning After by Sly Severus
Andromeda woke up in a daze, as if she’d had too much to drink the night before. But she was suffering none of the negative affects of a hangover. Instead, she simply felt detached, in a good way. Almost like her body had been incapable of containing her pleasure. She didn’t remember what happened.

Rolling over, she saw that she wasn’t alone. The whole night came rushing back to her. The few seconds in the morning before you remember the night before had passed. She remembered everything. Every wonderful moment and perfect touch.

Part of her wanted to smile. The other part of her wanted to be sick.

Her mind started flashing images. Kingsley. Ted. Kingsley. Ted.

What had she done? Ted. She didn’t know much about the afterlife. Her family hadn’t been religious nor had Ted’s. What if he could see her? What if he saw her with another man?

She’d vowed to love him forever. Did that vow really end with Ted’s life? Didn’t she owe him more respect? She’d just had sex with another man in the bed they’d once shared. What was wrong with her?

Beside her, Kingsley groaned, opening his eyes. He smiled up at her. Seeing her expression, the smile disappeared.

“What’s wrong?”

She didn’t know what to say. He looked so worried, afraid he’d done something. How could she tell him that she was the horrible one? How could he even think that he’d done anything wrong? He’d been perfect. Perfect in every way since he’d walked through the door bringing the worst news of her life.

“Andy, did I hurt you?” He sat up straight, reaching out to her.

“No,” she said, quickly. “You were wonderful. Last night, everything was exactly what I wanted.”

“Then what’s wrong?” he persisted. “I know you’re upset.”

Something about talking to her new lover about her dead husband felt wrong. Still, her new lover was also her best friend. He’d understand. He’d have to because she knew he wouldn’t give up until she explained herself.

“You’re amazing,” she began. “It’s not that I regret what we did. It’s just…well, it’s Ted. This probably sounds crazy to you. I just feel like I’ve betrayed him. Really, it hasn’t been that long.”

“I’m not surprised,” he told her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. “But you haven’t done anything wrong. Ted loved you, and you’ll always love him. I’d never expect you to stop. He would want you to move on and be happy. He won’t be pushed out of your heart because you let someone new in.”

Both Kingsley’s words and his touch seemed to confuse her. His arm felt right around her, like it always did. He made her feel safe, but this time she felt something else, too—guilt. His words made sense, but she couldn’t entirely hear them. In the back of her mind, she could still see Ted, watching her with another man.

“Andy?” he asked when she said nothing.

Looking down at her hands, she began to chip at the light pink polish on her nails. She couldn’t look at him. Her mind was still reeling. Torn between guilt and desire, she didn’t know what to do. She still loved her husband, but he was gone. She loved Kingsley too, and he was right beside her. Would it really be so wrong for her to be happy?

Taking a deep breath, she allowed her body to relax under his arm. Leaning against him, she closed her eyes. For a few seconds, everything felt perfect. She was certain she was in the right place. This was what she wanted.

She was about to open her eyes and tell Kingsley everything was okay. They could be together, but before she could Ted flashed into her mind. He was watching her—naked in someone else’s arms. The expression on his face was enough to make her cry. He didn’t look angry, but sad. Hurt. Devastated. Betrayed.

She couldn’t do this to him. If there was even a chance that she was hurting him like that, she had to stop. No matter how much it hurt her.

Pulling away from Kingsley, she stared back him. Her eyes must have given her away. Before she opened her mouth, she saw his face fall. Like her imaginary image of Ted, he looked hurt.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “I just can’t seem to do this. I feel like he can see us.”

“Do you want to be alone forever?” The question didn’t hold the air of ignorance that it could have. He understood where she was coming from; she was sure of it. All he wanted was to see her happy.

“I’m not sure I have a choice,” she admitted. “As long as I think Ted’s watching me, I can’t be with anyone. Even you. I really am sorry. You don’t deserve this. You’ve been so wonderful.”

“Hey, I don’t have to leave just because we can’t be together,” he said. “If you’re not ready for a relationship, I can live with that. It doesn’t mean we can’t see each other. We’re friends, no matter what.”

Only Kingsley would be so understanding. She’d just told him that he was amazing, but she couldn’t be with him because she thought her dead husband was watching. Any other man would assume she was insane and run for the door. He was asking to stay. He still wanted to be part of her life.

She wanted that too, but didn’t think she could go back. Every time he touched her, she’d want him. She’d always want him. Having him so close would be a very painful temptation. She didn’t think she could handle that.

She heard movement downstairs.

“Andromeda.”

Harry. He was back with Teddy.

She rushed out of bed, pulling on a robe. Turning to Kingsley, she hated that this had to be so rushed.

“I’m sorry,” she told him. “I just don’t think I should see you anymore. I’m really sorry.”

Before he could respond or she could lose her nerve, she hurried from the room to greet her grandson. She knew he’d be gone when she got back. As much as it hurt, he’d probably be gone forever.
A Promise by Sly Severus
Teddy was restless in her arms. He wasn’t crying or fussing; he was simply on edge. Rolling over, he was always glancing around the room as if looking for someone. The last few days had been rough on him. Like his grandmother, he was used to Kingsley’s calming presence.

Rocking the baby, Andromeda felt guilty. It seemed there was nothing she could do to escape the feeling. Teddy couldn’t possibly understand what was going on. He didn’t know why the people he loved kept disappearing. She was scared this would start to scar him emotionally.

“It’s not your fault,” she told him, sitting his stuffed owl on the sofa beside them. She wanted to say more, but the words didn’t come. Nothing that had happened made sense in her mind. There was no way she could explain it out loud.

Tears clouded her vision when she thought about Kingsley. Nearly a week had passed and he was respecting her wishes. She hadn’t heard from him. She wasn’t surprised, but she couldn’t help being disappointed. A part of her—a large part—still wanted him around.

As if the fates had been listening to her inner thoughts, there was a knock at the door. There was no reason to believe the caller wasn’t Harry. He hadn’t been by yet that day, but somehow she knew better. In her mind, there was no doubt who was at the door.

Staring down at Teddy, she debated whether or not to answer the door. Seeing him would only give them both false hopes. After all, nothing was going to change. If she was with him, she’d be betraying Ted. She couldn’t do that. Why open the door and make things harder on both of them.

The knock came again.

Sighing, she placed Teddy in his crib and headed for the door. Maybe they needed more closure. Maybe that would make the loneliness and hurt stop. Ignoring him wasn’t going to help.

Pulling open the door, she stared into his clear eyes. He held out a bouquet of roses and a small wrapped box. Reluctantly, she accepted the gifts. He spoke before she could.

“I know you asked me to stay away,” he said. “I tried. Maybe I shouldn’t be here, but honestly, I don’t know where else to go now. I’ve grown so used to being here with you. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too,” she admitted, “but that doesn’t change anything. I’m sorry.”

“It’s not in my nature to push,” Kingsley continued, “and the last thing I want is to cause you pain. Still, here I am. I can’t stay away. I understand if you don’t want a relationship. I can deal with that. What I don’t understand is why we can’t go back to being friends.”

She knew her words might have the opposite effect of what she wanted, but she couldn’t lie to him. At the very least, she owed him the truth.

“We can’t go back because I’m in love you,” she told him, not meeting his eyes. “I can’t be around you and pretend that I don’t feel anything. I can’t be with you without being ripped apart by guilt. My only choice is to stay away from you, no matter how much it hurts.”

He thought about this for a second.

“I can’t give up on you,” he replied. “I’m going to keep coming back. If you tell me to leave, I’ll leave. But I will come back; hoping that one day you’ll want me to stay.”

“You shouldn’t do that,” she said, trying to think of something more final to say.

He shrugged. “I have to. The box is for Teddy. It’s another owl. I noticed his first one was getting a little worn.”

“I’m sure he’ll love it,” she said.

“Could I see him?” Kingsley asked, clearly uncomfortable making the request. “I’ll understand if you don’t want me to. It’s just—well, I’ve missed him, too.”

The sensible part of Andromeda’s brain knew this was a bad idea. Having Kingsley around again was going to get all their hopes up. Teddy would have to go through losing him, again. Yet, she couldn’t say no.

Kingsley loved Teddy. Teddy loved Kingsley. It would be a crime to keep them apart.

“Why don’t you give him his gift?” she suggested, handing him back the box. “I’ll put these flowers in some water. He’s in the living room crib.”

“Thank you,” Kingsley replied, a wide smile coming across his face.

Andromeda nodded. “You’re welcome. You should see him more. He really misses you. He’s at Harry’s a lot. Maybe you could visit there.”

His smile dropped slightly, but he nodded. She could tell he was trying really hard not to push.

She fled to the kitchen as Kingsley entered the living room. As she reached for a vase, her breath came in gasps. She felt lightheaded. All she wanted in the world was to run into the next room and jump into Kingsley’s arms. She’d hurt him when she suggested he visit Teddy and Harry’s. She hated that she’d hurt him, but it couldn’t be avoided. As long as she couldn’t be with him, they’d both be hurt.

After placing the flowers on the table and composing herself, she stepped into the living room. She couldn’t help smiling. Kingsley had settled on the sofa with Teddy and the new owl. Her grandson looked happy for the first time in days. His hair had changed to a light yellow. He ignored his new toy, reaching only for Kingsley.

Feeling her gaze on him, Kingsley looked up. He grinned.

“I guess I should be going,” he told her, rising to his feet and returning Teddy to his crib. Teddy cried slightly and reached up to grab his friend. Andromeda forced back tears as she realized how much her grandson was hurting because of her. “Thank you for letting me see him. And I will be back.”

“Kingsley,” she began, but he cut her off.

“I’m not giving up on you, Andromeda,” he said. “That’s a promise.”

With that he turned and left the house.
Ted's Gift by Sly Severus
Kingsley was true to his word. Every day he would arrive with flowers and gifts. Most days he would spend a few minutes with Teddy, but he never pressured her for anything more. He was simply waiting in the wings. Hoping that one day, she’d be able to love him.

She knew it was the last thing he wanted, but his persistence was really making her feel guilty. He was putting so much effort into being with her, and she doubted they could ever have a relationship. She hated to see him waste his time and get his hopes up.

More than anything, she wanted him to be right. One morning, she wanted to wake up and realize that it was okay for them to be together, but she didn’t think it would ever happen. She loved Ted so much. To be with another man was just wrong. She couldn’t do that to him.

After Kingsley left for the day, she sat on the sofa, cuddling her grandson. She was amazed by how quickly he was growing. Soon he’d be walking and too big for her lap. She hated the idea of him growing up and going out into the scary world. What if he was like his parents? A warrior, with no sense of self-preservation. What if she lost him, too?

Teddy snoozed in her lap, clinging to the new toy wand Kingsley had given him that day. The child really was spoiled. Forever receiving gifts from Kingsley and Harry. She rarely ever had to buy him anything.

Of course, there was one thing she could give him. A real father figure. Kingsley loved her. He loved Teddy. He could be a really good influence on her grandson if only she could let him in.

Her thoughts turned towards Ted. She smiled. He’d always been so loving and carefree. If he was alive, he’d like Kingsley, want him around. The two men probably would’ve been good friends.

Ted loved her; she never doubted that. Even though he wasn’t there, he’d want her to be happy, but did that really mean with another man? Was there anyway that he could ever accept her being with Kingsley? How could she ever know?

A knock on the door broke through her thoughts. Raising her head, she felt too lazy to move. It seemed like every time she had a few minutes to just cuddle with Teddy someone would interrupt them. Maybe she just needed some time with her grandson and her thoughts.

The knocking persisted.

Sighing, she returned Teddy to his crib. He groaned in protest and she wanted to join him.

As she pulled the door open, she was surprised to see Harry. He’d given up on knocking weeks ago. Normally, he’d just appear in her fireplace, usually laden down with new toys for the baby.

“We’re out of Floo powder,” he muttered, stepping inside. “You look tired. Did I interrupt something?”

“I was just spending some time with Teddy,” she replied. She no longer felt overly annoyed. Harry had really started to grow on her. His love for Teddy was just so obvious. “Come on, in. He always loves to see you.”

Harry was at the crib before she even realized he’d moved. He really was getting attached to her grandson.

Suddenly, she realized there was something she needed to do. Something she’d been putting off, but maybe this was the time. She’d been thinking about it for so long, but she didn’t want to take Teddy with her. This was the perfect time. Besides, it would give Harry a real treat—some alone time with Teddy.

“Harry, can you stay for awhile?” she asked, loitering in the doorway.

“Sure,” he replied, not even taking his eyes off Teddy. “I’ve got nothing planned for the rest of the day. What’s up?”

“I just have an errand to run,” she said, hoping her voice remained steady. She didn’t want to explain herself. “Could you stay with Teddy until I get back?” She considered adding that she wouldn’t be long, but Harry didn’t care about that. He’d have happily stayed with his godson for hours.

“Of course,” he replied, still engrossed with Teddy. “I’d love to.”

“Have fun,” she told them, and rushed towards the door. She had to move quickly, before she lost her nerve. She’d been putting this off for so long. It was time to just do it.

Stepping out of the house, she Apparated to the cemetery, not allowing herself to think about what she was doing.

When she opened her eyes she was surrounded by grey stones, sticking out of the ground, like hands trying to climb out of the dirt. The grass was unnaturally green, kept that way by a spell. Everyone wanted their loved ones final resting place to be perfect.

Andromeda stepped around stones marking the lives of strangers. She knew where she was going. She hadn’t returned to this place since her daughter had been laid to rest beside her father. It was hard to return. Her stomach tightened as she approached the spot where her family would spend eternity.

She went directly to her husband’s stone, kneeling beside it. Her fingers lightly tracing over his name as tears came to her eyes. She fell to the ground, allowing her sobs to come—uncontrolled. She was finally alone. Free to really let her pain go.

For a long time, she just cried. It felt good—like a release. Finally, she wiped her eyes and sat up straight. She needed to cry, but that wasn’t the reason she came to her husband. She came to say goodbye.

“Ted,” she began, her voice breaking. “I’m sorry it took me so long to get here. Things have been so busy. Little Teddy is really a handful. I’m sorry you never got to meet him. You would’ve loved him. He’s so much like Dora.”

She took a deep breath.

“I miss you. You must know that. But there’s something I need to say. You probably already know what happened with Kingsley. I’m sorry. I never meant to let you down. You’ll always be in my heart. I hope that wherever you are you don’t hate me.”

The wind picked up. Her hair flew wildly behind her. She closed her eyes, waiting for the gust to pass. When she opened them a single red rose lay on the ground in front of her.

She gasped. That was exactly what Ted had given her the first time she’d begged for his forgiveness. They were still children at the time. She’d been foolish. Told her family she wasn’t seeing anyone when he’d been close enough to hear the words. She never expected him to forgive her. He’d never been mad at all. Ted always seemed to understand her.

Tears spilled down her cheeks. Ted had forgiven her. Somehow, even in death, he could reach out to her, making her feel better.

The wind picked up again, but only slightly. A breeze went past her ear, and she could hear his voice.

“Be happy,” he told her. “Be with him. I’ll always love you.”

More tears streamed down her face as she realized the magnitude of Ted’s gift.
Perfect by Sly Severus
Apparating back home, Andromeda knew what she had to do. She didn’t want to waste anymore time. With Ted’s permission, she could finally go to Kingsley. She could give him what they both wanted. In that moment, she loved her husband more than she ever realized possible.

Popping into her living room, she startled Harry. He jumped, Teddy nearly falling to the floor. A quick glance at Teddy’s smiling face told her no harm had been done.

“Sorry,” she told Harry. “I didn’t mean to scare you. Is everything going okay?”

“Sure,” he replied, allowing Teddy to crawl off his lap onto the sofa. “We were just playing. Are you okay? You seem out of breath or something.”

“I’ve never been better,” she told him, smiling. Suddenly, she realized that she couldn’t remember the last time she really smiled. Smiled and felt good about it, instead of guilty. “I was just wondering if you could stay with Teddy for awhile longer.”

“Of course,” Harry replied smiling back. “You’ve got somewhere to be?”

“I hope so,” she said, praying Kingsley would be home. Praying this wasn’t the day he finally decided to give up on her. “I might be awhile. If it gets late, feel free to have Ginny join you or take him to the Weasleys.”

“Are you sure?” Harry’s confusion didn’t surprise her. She wasn’t much for leaving Teddy. This would only be the second time she’d allowed her grandson to go out without her.

“Of course,” she said. “You’re great with Teddy. The Weasleys love him. He’ll be fine there. If you’re not here when I get home, I’ll pick him up tomorrow.”

“Thanks,” Harry replied.

“Thank you,” she said. “You’re about the only babysitter I would trust with him.”

“I’m honored,” he told her, scooping Teddy back into his arms.

“Have fun,” she said to Harry, as she kissed Teddy goodbye.

And then she was gone. With a loud pop, she was standing outside Kingsley’s loft. For the first time, her happiness calmed enough for her to feel truly nervous. She’d been horrible to Kingsley. He said he’d wait, but could he really still love her after the way she’d been acting.

“Only one way to find out,” she whispered to herself. “You’re not turning back now.”

Raising her hand, she knocked. She hadn’t been to this apartment since her daughter’s death. On occasion, she’d come by searching for Dora, especially when the danger of the war become very clear.

Her mind was spinning. She had no idea what to say, but didn’t have long to think about it. The door was opened almost immediately. Kingsley stared out at her, dressed in business robes and looking tired. He must’ve just gotten home from the Ministry.

“Andromeda.” He smiled, the fatigue nearly disappearing from his appearance. “Please, come in.”

She followed him into the tiny loft, settling on a chair in his living room. Nothing had changed since her last visit. The rooms were scarcely decorated and the furniture old. Kingsley was clearly a bachelor with no real concern for design. She didn’t blame him. At least, he was neat, which was more than she could say for anyone in her family.

“Can I get you anything?” he asked, sitting across from her. He appeared calm, but his eyes gave him away. They darted around, as if he were hoping to see something that would explain her unexpected arrival. He was nervous.

“No, thank you,” she replied. After that she froze. She had no idea how to proceed. How could she tell Kingsley that it was okay for them to be together because her dead husband gave her a sign? How understanding could she expect him to be?

“Andy, I hope you’re not here asking me to leave you alone,” he went on. “If that’s really what you want, I’ll have no choice, but I don’t want to do it. I love you. I don’t want to give up.”

“I don’t want you to either,” she said quickly, finding the perfect opening. “I’m not here to ask you to leave. I want you to stay. I want to be with you, if you’ll still have me after everything I’ve put you through.”

He stared at her, for a few moments, saying nothing. His eyes revealed surprise. Finally, a smile burst across his face. “You’re serious? What changed your mind?”

“Ted,” she admitted, not meeting his eyes. “We had a little chat, you could say. This is what I want, and he understands that. He wants me to be happy, and that means being with you.”

Kingsley showed absolutely no upset at her remarks. He didn’t seem at all concerned that she was talking to her dead husband. He simply threw his arms around her, holding her tightly.

“This is all I want in the world,” he said, still clinging to her. “You’re sure this is what you want, too.”

“I’m sure,” she whispered. “I won’t push you away again.”

He pulled her close, kissing her, embracing her. It felt good. She was where she was supposed to be. In the morning, she knew she’d feel only relief. The guilt was gone. She was free to move on.

“Wait.” He pulled away, causing her to nearly fall from his lap. He sat up straight staring at her. Her stomach lurched. He’d changed his mind. After everything she’d done, he couldn’t trust her. It was too late.

“What about Teddy?” he asked.

“Huh?” she replied. She sounded utterly unintelligent, but couldn’t connect the question to their present situation. She loved Teddy, but he really wasn’t on her mind at that moment.

Kingsley laughed. “Where is he? Don’t you need to get back to him? I wouldn’t want to start something we couldn’t finish.”

She breathed deeply, a great sigh of relief. He hadn’t changed his mind. He was just worried about little Teddy. He really was perfect.

“Harry’s keeping him for the night,” she replied. “We can start anything we want.”

“Perfect,” he said, pulling her back into his arms.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=82072