Finally Home by Weasley Mom
Summary: This story starts during the summer between Harry's fifth and sixth year. It follows his journey from the skinny, guilt-ridden Boy Who Lived to the Man Who Would Defeat Voldemort. Some H/G and R/Hr romance. Chapter 50 is up!!!! STORY COMPLETE!!! Written pre-HBP. This story no longer follows cannon.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 50 Completed: Yes Word count: 140900 Read: 205335 Published: 12/31/04 Updated: 10/18/05

1. Prologue: Leaving Privet Drive by Weasley Mom

2. The More Things Change... by Weasley Mom

3. Last Wishes by Weasley Mom

4. Moving On by Weasley Mom

5. Call Me Remus by Weasley Mom

6. Kreacher's Fate by Weasley Mom

7. Prophecy Revealed by Weasley Mom

8. Friends of a Hero by Weasley Mom

9. Birthday Suprises by Weasley Mom

10. Voldemort's Gift by Weasley Mom

11. Diagon Alley by Weasley Mom

12. Midnight Marauding by Weasley Mom

13. Remus Revealed by Weasley Mom

14. Training and Ginny by Weasley Mom

15. Meetings and Moony by Weasley Mom

16. Heading Home by Weasley Mom

17. At the Feast by Weasley Mom

18. Consequences and Repercussions by Weasley Mom

19. Left Out by Weasley Mom

20. The Start of Classes by Weasley Mom

21. Marked by Weasley Mom

22. Memories and Dreams by Weasley Mom

23. Control by Weasley Mom

24. Ginny's Tale by Weasley Mom

25. Bump in the Night by Weasley Mom

26. Back to Normal by Weasley Mom

27. To Err is Human by Weasley Mom

28. Professor Tonks by Weasley Mom

29. In the Dungeons by Weasley Mom

30. Expecto Patronum by Weasley Mom

31. Gazing at the Moon by Weasley Mom

32. The D.A. by Weasley Mom

33. The One Not Chosen by Weasley Mom

34. Memories and Motorcycles by Weasley Mom

35. Cry Havoc! by Weasley Mom

36. Flight of the Pheonix by Weasley Mom

37. Waiting by Weasley Mom

38. Pranks, Pigs, and Midnight Rides by Weasley Mom

39. Quidditch Anyone? by Weasley Mom

40. Justice for All by Weasley Mom

41. Fear of a Name by Weasley Mom

42. A Winter Wonderland by Weasley Mom

43. What's in a Name? by Weasley Mom

44. Out of the Blue by Weasley Mom

45. Up in Smoke by Weasley Mom

46. Not Quite Right by Weasley Mom

47. On a Burning Day by Weasley Mom

48. To the Rescue by Weasley Mom

49. Fall of the Phoenix by Weasley Mom

50. Arising from the Ashes by Weasley Mom

Prologue: Leaving Privet Drive by Weasley Mom
A/N: Ok... so this chapter is a little slow, but unfortunately it's necessary to set things up. The characters contained herein all belong to JK Rowling...darn it. Please read and review

The dark haired young man lay listlessly on his bed in in his room on Privet Drive staring at the ceiling. It had been two weeks since he had left Hogwarts... two weeks of dreadful Duddykins... two weeks Aunt Petunia's sour looks and Uncle Vernon's temper... two weeks of being cut-off from his world. Granted, he'd had letters from Ron and Hermione, as well as Neville and Ginny, but it just wasn't the same. Added to Harry's usual summer doldrums, was the almost crushing sense of guilt and loss he felt over the death of his godfather just before the end of term.

As if all of this was not enough for one person to deal with, there was the prophecy. Harry's life had been forever altered that day in Dumbledore's office when the prophecy was revealed to him. It's words were constantly with him, like a mantra repeated again and again in his mind, "And either must die at the hands of the other, for neither can live while the other survives." Harry now knew why his parents had been killed, they had died to put off the inevitable. He was not even 16 years old, and yet he knew, with unwavering certainty, what fate held in store for him. He would face the world's most evil wizard in a battle to the death and either save the world or die trying.

A commotion from downstairs interrupted Harry's dark musing. He could hear his uncle's bellows and his aunt's high pitched screech. Harry sighed, and braced for the inevitable. He knew that whatever was going on downstairs would somehow be his fault, forget the fact that he had barely left his room since he'd arrived.

"BOY!!!" his uncle hollered up the steps. "Get down here!"

"Right on cue," Harry muttered, climbing out of bed and throwing on a shirt. Slamming his door behind him, Harry stomped down the steps. He was in no mood to deal with this right now.

"Yes Uncle Vernon?" Harry said as civilly as he could(which was not very).

"You have... company," his uncle snarled, nearly choking on his last word.

It was then that Harry saw the small group of people standing near the fireplace. His face split in the first smile in two weeks.

"Potter," said Mad-Eye nodding to him.
"'Wotcher Harry," said Tonks winking, her bright pink, spiky hair looking extremely odd in the Dursley's living room.

"Hello Harry," said Lupin stepping over and giving him a quick hug and looking him over, as if to insure that he was in fact ok. "You need to go and grab your things. We'll be leaving as soon as you're ready."

"Leaving? But I..." Harry began
"You'd rather stay?" Lupin asked his eyes twinkling.
"Of course not...but.."
"I know you have a thousand questions Harry, but we need to hurry. I promise I will answer them all as soon as we get back to headquarters."

Nodding, Harry turned to go upstairs, Tonks following him.

"Can't stand to be down there in all that...neatness," Tonk said in answer to his questioning look. "Besides, I thought you could use some help packing."

With a few flicks of her wand, all of Harry's things were quickly, if not neatly, packed in his trunk. Harry grabbed Hedwig, who was dozing in her cage, while Tonks levitated his trunk and they headed back down the stairs to an oddly quiet living room.

Harry's aunt and uncle were sitting on the couch looking terrified, Dudley was doing his best to squeeze his enormous bulk behind them. Harry grinned.

"Harry... Moody and Tonks are going to take you to headquarters. I'll be along in minute, as soon, as I'm done warding the house," Lupin told him.

"What do you mean you want to warp my house?" Uncle Vernon bellowed.

"Ward, not warp Mr. Dursley. We just want to make sure you're safe from something happening like it did last summer," Lupin explained patiently.

"You mean those dementy-whatsists? Why would they come here with him gone.? I'll not have it! "

"Now Vernon.." Aunt Petunia said placatingly.

"No Petunia! No magic," he spit as if just saying the word left a nasty after taste on his tongue.

"Fine Dursley," said Moody his magical blue eye glittering ominously. "We'll just let that great pig of a son get his soul sucked out. Let's go Potter."

It was all Harry could do no to laugh at the complete absurdity of the situation. Uncle Vernon's face had gone from bright purple to pasty white at the mention of Dudley's soul getting sucked out. Dudley had dove behind the couch, and unless he was mistaken Aunt Petunia had fainted.

"Oh allright. Put up your bloody damn.... warfs... and get your... freakishness out of my house." Uncle Vernon choked out.

"Right," said Lupin pulling out his wand.

"C'mon Potter," said Moody again, holding out a cracked plate for Harry to take hold of.

"Good-Bye Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia... Diddykins," Harry said grinning at his cousin, whose overlarge bottom was sticking out from behind the couch reminding him of when Hagrid had given Dudley a pig's tail. Harry took hold of the plate with one hand holding Hedwig with the other. Tonks followed suit. He soon felt the familiar pulling sensation as the portkey activated and landed with a thud in front of Grimauld Place.

"Let's go Potter. Inside quickly!" said Moody ushering Harry up the steps and through the door.

A/N Thanks for reading. Please review!
The More Things Change... by Weasley Mom
A/N: As always, all the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling. Please read and review.

Harry stepped into the hall of Grimmauld Place, unprepared for the fresh wave of guilt and grief that would hit him. He was here in Sirius' house, and Sirius was not here to greet him... would never be here to greet him again. Harry swallowed down the tears that threatened, refusing to show his weakness in front of Moody and Tonks. He looked around instead, noting the changes which had been made. The hall was much cleaner and most of the dark objects which had been displayed here were gone.

"Let's go Potter. Molly will have my hide if I leave you standing in the hall," Moody said gruffly. Tonks made to follow them, knocking over the hideous troll foot umbrella stand in the process and sending umbrellas skittering noisily across the floor.

"Damn!" Tonks swore. "I have got to be the clumsiest witch ever to have been made auror." Setting the stand back up, she began to gather the umbrellas and put them back.

Harry braced himself, waiting for the bellows of Sirius' mum to start, but he was met only with the enthusiastic cries of the three Weasleys who had just entered the hall. He found himself enveloped in one of Molly Weasley's warm motherly hugs, while Ron and Ginny looked on grinning.

"Oh Harry dear," said Mrs. Weasley. "It is so good to have you back home and safe. You are entirely too thin though and you look like you haven't slept in a month. Alastor... I hope you gave those.... relatives of his what for!"

Moody grinned evilly and assured her that he had indeed made them aware of his displeasure at Harry's condition. Harry, meanwhile, was doing his best to gracefully extricate himself from Mrs. Weasley's bone crushing hug, while simultaneously wondering exactly what happened while he and Tonks had been upstairs packing his things.

"Shouldn't we move out of here before we wake Mrs. Black?" Harry murmured, thoroughly puzzled that she had remained quiet thus far. Everyone stopped talking at once and looked uncomfortably at Harry.

"We kind of don't need to worry about that anymore mate," said Ron.

"Finally got her down?" Harry asked, knowing that he was missing something.

"You could say that. When Sirius...well... you know...died, Professor Lupin decided that he should be the one to tell her." Ron continued. "I guess she started raving about how Sirius was a blood traitor and shame of her flesh."

"Fred and George were here when it happened," Ginny added. "They said Lupin went mad. Ripped the canvas down with his bare hands and tore it to shreds, with her screaming like a banshee the whole time. Then he dumped the whole mess in the fireplace and burned it."

Mrs. Weasley cleared her throat. "All right you lot. I think we have better things to do then standing here gossiping about our friends. Harry, you must be starving dear," she said putting a comforting arm around his thin shoulders and steering him to the kitchen.

After consuming several of Mrs. Weasley's very tasty sandwiches, as well as a heaping bowl of stew, Harry was feeling comfortably full. Ginny and Ron had kept up a constant stream of chatter, filling him in on everything from how the Chudley Cannons were doing (abysmal) to how Bill and Fleur were getting on (exceptionally well). A lull in the conversation gave Harry the opening he'd been waiting on.

"Mrs. Weasley? Why didn't you owl me that you were coming so I could've been ready?"

Mrs. Weasley looked uncomfortable. "Well you see Harry dear..."

"It's alright Molly," Lupin said from the doorway. "He needs to know what we're facing. They all do.”

"Remus, they're still children," she said in her overprotective mother voice.

"They are children who are involved in this war, just as much, if not more than the rest of us. Forewarned is forearmed," Lupin said staring determinedly into her eyes. Mrs. Weasley nodded finally, sighing.

Lupin pulled a chair up to the table and sat next to Harry. Harry couldn't help but notice how tired Lupin looked, how sad his eyes had become. He had almost forgotten how much his godfather's death would impact this man, Sirius' best friend, his father's friend, the last of the true Marauders.

"We didn't owl you Harry because we hadn't planned on coming to get you yet. We received some news early this morning that changed that, however. The dementors have deserted Azkaban; the Ministry has lost control of them. Even worse than that though, by the time those incompetents became aware of the situation, more than half of the prisoners had escaped.”

Harry heard Ginny gasp, heard Ron murmur, "Hermione."

Lupin smiled. "Don't worry Ron. Hermione is safe. Your dad and Bill went to get her. I popped by to check on them before I came back here. They are finishing up the wards around her parents' house and should be here soon."

"What is the Ministry doing about it Professor? The dementors, I mean," Harry asked.

"They've sent aurors to guard the rest of the prisoners Harry, and are of course up to their usual practice... denying everything. Our friend Cornelius Fudge is about to lose what little support he has left... as soon as this hits the papers."

"What about Voldemort? Where is he? What has he been up to?"

"You mean aside from recruiting the dementors? There have been a few attacks on muggles, but he's keeping surprisingly quiet. Marshalling the troops I suspect," Lupin said.

"The war has really started now, hasn't it Professor?" Harry said looking him in the eyes.

"I'm afraid so Harry," he said gravely.

"That's enough Remus!" Mrs. Weasley said, her face pale.

Lupin nodded. "All right Molly, for now. Harry, Professor Dumbledore will be here this evening. He needs to talk to both of us regarding," Lupin paused for a moment as though he was having difficulty speaking, "Sirius' last wishes."

Harry closed his eyes, trying to shut out the pain. He nodded tersely, unable to put what he was feeling into words. He felt a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"C'mon mate," Ron said, his voice husky as if he too was having trouble controlling his emotions. "Why don't we go upstairs and get you unpacked?"

Harry nodded again, grateful for the opportunity to get away from the pitying looks he was receiving. He and Ron quietly ascended the stairs and entered the room they had shared last summer.

"Listen, Harry. I...well I wanted to say that I'm sorry about Sirius," Ron said awkwardly.

"I know. I appreciate it. I just... I can't talk about it yet."

"Right." There was a moment of silence while both tried to think of something to say. "So, you want to play a game of wizard's chess while we wait for Dumbledore?" Ron asked.

Happy for the change of subject, Harry grinned. "Prepare for defeat, Weasley!"

"At your hands? I doubt it," said Ron laughing and setting up the chessboard.

"Glad to see some things never changes," said a bossy voice from the doorway.

"Hermione!" Harry said as she hugged him hello.

She stepped back and looked at him. "You look dreadful."

"Gee thanks," he said grinning.

Ron, meanwhile was blushing a lovely shade of scarlet. " 'Mione," he said. "You look... um tan," he finished lamely blushing even more.

Hermione narrowed her eyes, not sure if he'd just complemented her or not. "Of course I'm tan, Ronald. My parents and I just got back from our trip. I told you about it."

"Sheesh. You don't need to snap Hermione. I was just making an observation."

"An observation? I'm surprised you noticed anything about me since I'm neither a Quidditch ball nor food, " she shot back. Things disintegrated as normal from there.

From the doorway Ginny giggled and caught Harry's eye. Harry grinned. Hermione was right, some things never change.

A/N: Hope you like this so far. I already have the next chapter written and ready to go as soon as this one is approved. Please review.
Last Wishes by Weasley Mom
A/N: All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling. Please read and review.

Harry spent the rest of the day playing chess with Ron, while Hermione and Ginny looked on. It was nice to be able to relax with his friends and shut out his worries for a time. All too soon, however, the afternoon was over and Harry knew he would have to face reality once again.

*Crack* *Crack* Fred and George appeared in the center of the room.

"Oy! Ickle Ronniekins! Mum says it's time for dinner," said Fred.

"Hiya Harry. Hermione," added George.

"Hi Fred. Hi George. How's the joke shop going?" Harry asked smiling.

"Great!" Fred answered.

"We may have to get larger premises soon," George said.

"And Mum finally decided that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all," Fred said.

"Once she realized how much we could help the family out," George grinned as they headed down to the kitchen.

"Harry!" Mr. Weasley greeted him when he entered. "How are you?"

"Fine thanks Mr. Weasley," Harry replied politely, looking around the crowded kitchen. All of the Weasleys, with the exception of Percy and Charlie, were there. Harry also recognized Tonks, Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mundungus Fletcher, and, of course, Professor Lupin. Sitting at the head of the table, his eyes twinkiling as he laughed at something 'Dung had said, was Professor Dumbledore.

"Harry," Professor Dumbledore greeted him, his smiling eyes a trifle wary, as if unsure of the reaction he'd get.

"Professor," Harry murmured awkwardly, not sure if he was quite ready to forgive and forget, but not wanting to cause a scene in front of the Weasleys. Hermione and Ron exchanged a look that told Harry they'd noticed and he sighed, knowing he'd have questions to answer later.

The meal passed quickly. Harry let the conversation flow around him while he caught up on the Weasley's lives and the happenings in the wizarding world. He shot occasional glances at Dumbledore, trying to decide how to deal with his headmaster and exactly how he did feel about him.

Finally, when everyone had finished and was sitting back feeling pleasantly full, Dumbledore cleared his throat. "I believe," he said, "it is time. Those of you who received notice, please follow me."

With that, Dumbledore rose and left the room. Harry, who had expected it to just to be he and Professor Lupin, was surprised to see how many people, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione included, who rose and began to follow the Headmaster out.

"Ready Harry?" a hoarse voice asked. Harry looked up to see Professor Lupin's concerned face.

"Do I have a choice Professor?" Harry asked.

Lupin smiled sadly, "Not really."

"Then I guess I'm ready."

Standing , Harry followed Lupin into the drawing room. Everyone else was already sitting. Harry hastily found a spot on the sofa between Ron and Ginny and sat down as well.

Dumbledore cleared his throat again from his spot behind the large mahogany desk and looked over his half-moon spectacles. "We are here for the reading of the last will and testament of Sirius Black. Sirius asked me to make sure that you were all present for this. He recorded his last wishes in this pensieve. I ask that you all remain quiet until it is over." With that, Dumbledore waved his wand over the Pensieve and the silvery form of Sirius rose from it's depths.

"If you are all hearing this then I have died, hopefully in battle and not from sheer boredom at Grimmauld Place," Sirius said with his achingly familiar bark-like laugh. "No matter what the manner of my death however, I ask that instead of mourning my passing, you celebrate my life for there is very little of it I regret. And you and James always claimed I didn't know how to make a speach Moony," he added with a wink.

"Now then to dividing my estate... Firstly to my dear cousin Nymphadora Tonks, the only living family member I can stand... I leave all of the family albums and records, as well as the oh so precious to my mother, Black family heirlooms. I know you'll appreciate them 'Dora. I also know you'll appreciate just how much this will annoy Narcissa and Bellatrix even more," he said with a wink causing Tonks to laugh and nod in agreement.

"Next to Mundungus Fletcher, for years of making Professor McGonagall think that maybe I wasn't THAT bad, I leave a warehouse I happen to own in Knockturn Alley. It has some extra features i think you'll find useful. Now try to stay out of any major trouble 'Dung."

"To Arthur and Molly Weasley I leave the sum of 20,000 galleons and my undying gratitude for the love and caring they have given Harry over the years. You've given him a family when he had none, and I can never, ever express my gratitude for that. Please continue to be there for him, I have a feeling he'll need you now more than ever." Mrs. Weasley nodded tearfully and buried her face in her husband's shoulder.

"To Fred and George Weasley, the biggest pranksters Hogwarts has seen since the Marauders, I leave the sum of 5000 galleons to be used for 'research and development' at their joke shop. I also leave my copy of '1001 Uses for Dungbombs: Another Marauder Production'... a little something James, Remus, the rat, and I put together at Hogwarts. I hope it provides you with inspiration."

"To Miss Ginevra Weasley... I leave my entire music collection, especially those Wierd Sisters albums which she is so fond of. Remember our conversation from last summer Ginny. I stand by what I said." Curiously, Ginny blushed at this, leaving Harry wondering exactly what she and Sirius had discussed.

"To Miss Hermione Granger, I leave all of the books in the library at Grimmauld Place. Remus and I have removed all of the dangerous ones. Remus was right when he said you are the brightest witch of your age. You have amazed me time and again with not just with your intelligence, but with your capacity to care for others and your fierce determination to see that the right thing is done. Please try to keep Harry and Ron out of trouble for me."

"To Ronald Weasley, I leave my wizard's chess set, solid gold gobstones, and deluxe exploding snap deck. It's not easy to be the best friend of a hero, believe me I know, I've been there. Harry needs you though, as much as James needed me, maybe even more so. Keep his feet on the ground Ron and make him take time to have fun occasionally. Remember also to live your life and don't let opportunity slip your fingers." He said with a significant look, which caused Ron's ears to turn bright red.

"Next to my best friend and partner in crime, Professor Remus J. Lupin...well Moony, I should've known you'd be the last of the Marauders. You always were the best of us. I have always and will always consider you my brother. To you Moony, I leave the sum of 100,000 galleons and my greatest treasure... Harry. I name you Harry's legal guardian. It's what James and Lily would've wanted, and it's what I want as well. Keep him safe Remus, help him to be ready for what my heart tells me he has to face. We're counting on you."


"Finally, to my godson, Harry James Potter... I leave the remainder of my estate, including the house known as Grimmauld Place. Harry, know that I love you and I am so proud of the young man you have become. Knowing you, you are brooding and feeling responsible for my death... stop it. I have always made my own decisions in life, and whatever events lead to my demise, I am quite sure they were due to conscious decisions on my part. Try to remember to enjoy your life Harry. Give yourself time to have fun, fall in love, throw a couple of dung bombs in Snape's office for your Dad and me. Live your life Harry. Know that I will always be with you, watching over you, just like I know your folks have always done."

"Good-bye my friends... my family... I guess my mischief here has been managed at last." With that the silver image melted back into the Pensieve.

Harry heard Professor Lupin let out a mournful howl-like sob, saw Tonks trying to comfort him as she cried herself. He saw Ron and Hermione, tears streaming down their faces, Hermione's head on Ron's shoulder. Fred and George were standing with their Mum, helping Mr. Weasley to comfort her. 'Dung's head was buried in his hands. Harry felt frozen inside, unable to cope with yet another loss.

Harry felt a small hand slip into his, turning he saw the luminous brown eyes of Ginny Weasley looking back at him. Her tear-streaked face was filled not with the pity he expected, but with understanding and grief of her own. Harry felt the dam within him cracking and breaking, suddenly it was all too much to bear. He let out a heartwrenching sob and felt Ginny's arms wrap around him. Burrying his face in her shoulder, he cried out his grief and guilt while she held him and whispered nonsensical words of comfort.

A/N: ok...so this one was REALLY hard to write. Hope y'all like it. Please review.
Moving On by Weasley Mom
A/N: I hereby steal all of JK Rowling's characters for myself! Muhahahaha! ok ok...so they're all hers still...darnit



Harry awoke the next day slightly disoriented. As he opened his eyes, he slowly remembered all that had happened the night before. He was in Sirius' house.... his house now. After 15 years of living off of the 'kindess' of his Aunt and Uncle, he was home. Harry put his hands behind his head and smiled as he imagined the looks on the Dursleys faces when he finally told them to shove off. His smile faded when he remembered Sirius' words last night. He was not to feel guilty. He was to remember Sirius' life, not mourn his death. Harry was not sure he could do that, but he vowed to try his best... for Sirius.

Getting out of bed, Harry dressed quickly and made a valiant effort to tame his hair. Heading down to the kitchen, he mentally went through all that he wanted to do today.

"Morning Harry dear," Mrs. Weasley said looking at him with motherly concern. "How are you?"

"I'm fine Mrs. Weasley. Really," Harry hastened to reassure her, as he took a seat.

Fred and George sat directly across from Harry pouring through a thick, black notebook and chuckling occassionally in appreciation. "Your father and Sirius were geniuses Harry," said Fred.

"True geniuses," agreed George grinning evilly. Mrs. Weasley pursed her lips in disapproval.

"Now Mum," said Fred. "We're merely honoring the last request of our dear friend and mentor."

"Yeah Mum," George added. "Can't let his brilliance go to waste can we?" Mrs. Weasley shot them a look that said quite clearly what she thought of that.

"Right then," said Fred sensing a lecture coming. "We'd best be off."

"Time is galleons after all," said George grinning as they apparated.

"Mum? Have you seen my... Oh good morning Harry," Ginny told him as she entered the kitchen.

"Um...hi," Harry mumbled somewhat awkwardly. He felt himself blushing as he remembered breaking down in her arms last night.

Ginny smiled, pretending she hadn't noticed anything. "Mum...Have you seen my transfiguration book? I need to finish that essay Professor McGonnagall assigned."

Mrs. Weasley sighed. "Ginevra Weasley, how many times have I told you that if you put your things back where they belong, you'd know exactly where they were when you need them."

Ginny rolled her eyes at her mother's back. "I know Mum. I'm sorry. Have you seen it?"

"Did you check the library?"

"That's it! That's where I left it! Thanks Mum," Ginny said pecking her on the cheek. She left the kitchen, her long red ponytail bouncing behind her.

"Mrs. Weasley? Have you seen Professor Lupin?" Harry asked.

"I'm not sure dear. You could check the library though. He spends alot of time there."

"Thanks Mrs. Weasley," said Harry grabbing the remains of his toast and heading for the library. When he got there, he was met by an impishly grinning Ginny who motioned him to be quiet. "What's up Gin?" he whispered.

"Looks like Ron decided to follow Sirius' advice," she whispered back. She silently cracked the door, and Harry peeked around the corner.

Standing in the middle of the library, surrounded by stacks of books, Ron was holding Hermione gently in his arms kissing her. Harry smiled and looked at Ginny. "Think we should give them a few minutes?"

"Probably," Ginny replied, her eyes dancing. She quietly shut the door again, and sat in the hallway. "So... How's your summer been so far Harry?"

"Dreadful until yesterday," he grinned. "Yours?"
"Boring until yesterday," she answered, smiling back.

"Ginny..." Harry began. "About last night... well I'm sorry I broke down on you like that. I mean..."

Ginny put her fingers to Harry's mouth, silencing him. "Harry, I was glad I could be there to help. I know how much Sirius meant to you. It's only natural to grieve."

"Thank you," he said simply looking into velvety brown eyes. Funny how he'd never really noticed before how they reflected the light like that, or how soft her skin was. He could still feel the way her fingertips had felt on his lips and... "Get a grip Harry," he thought. "This is not any girl. This is Ginny Weasley. Ron's baby sister."

"So...think it's safe to go in yet?" Ginny asked, seemingly oblivious to Harry's errant thoughts.

Harry shrugged and grinned. "If not, it serves 'em right. Snogging in the library where anyone could walk in on them."

They stood up and opened the library door, making as much noise as they could. Ron and Hermione sprang apart blushing guiltily.

"Hermione," Ron croaked. "She...uh... she had...um..."

"I had something in my eye," she blurted quickly, her face bright red.

"Yeah and I was...uh...helping her get it out and umm.."

Harry and Ginny couldn't help it. They burst out laughing. "Give it up mate. We saw you."

"I don't know what you mean," Ron denied, his ears turning fiery red.

"Don't worry Ronniekins. Your secret is safe with us," said Ginny.

Hermione blushed even more. Ron walked over and put an arm around her shoulders. "I.." he said lifting his chin somewhat defiantly, as though expecting them to laugh. "I love her and she... well she loves me too, I think."

Hermione punched him playfully. "You think?"

Ron grinned sheepishly. Harry put a hand on Ron's shoulder, "We're happy for you mate. We all knew it was going to happen anyway."

Ginny nodded in agreement. Seeing Hermione blush again, Ginny decided to change the subject. "I don't suppose you two lovebirds have seen my transfiguration book have you?"

"It's over there on the table," Hermione said. "Why?"

"McGonagall assigned a killer essay on transfiguring metals into animals," Ginny said with a grimace.

"You need help?" Hermione offered.

"I thought you would never ask," Ginny said smiling.

"C'mon Harry. While she's distracted, let's go, so she doesn't make me move anymore books," whispered Ron.

"You didn't seem to mind earlier loverboy," Harry teased, causing Ron to blush bright red again.

"Shut up Harry."

"Ronald Weasley? Where do you think you're going?" Hermione's bossy voice reached them just before they got to the door.

"Awwww 'Mione," Ron whined. "Do we have to go through ALL of em today?"

"Well if you don't want to help me..." she said flashing him sad puppy dog eyes.

Ron sighed. "Ok which pile were we on?"

Harry grinned. "Better you than me mate," he said and slipped out of the library to continue his search for Professor Lupin.


A/N: Thanks for reading... please review. Next chapter... Harry has a chat with Lupin and gets a final suprise from Sirius.
Call Me Remus by Weasley Mom
If possible, I would like Danielle to be the moderator for this. Thank you.

A/N: All the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling. Please read and review.

Harry really was not sure where to begin looking for Professor Lupin. It was odd. Harry had known him for almost three years, and yet he really felt that he did not know him as well as he should. He knew that Lupin was one of his father and Sirius' best friends. He had always considered the professor to be the quiet, responsible Marauder. Harry knew that Lupin had been bitten by a werewolf when he was very young, and had dealt with it ever since. Now Lupin was his guardian, and Harry felt it was time for him to see the side of the professor his father and Sirius had known. This was, unfortunately, not the only reason that Harry wanted to see him.

Harry had come to a realization last night as he saw the raw grief that Lupin was dealing with over the loss of Sirius. As much as he didn't want to think about it, much less discuss it, Harry had decided that Lupin needed to know what he was getting himself into by being Harry's guardian. Lupin needed to, deserved to, know all of the details of the prophecy. He had loved Sirius too, and should understand exactly why he was taken from them.

Harry sighed, realizing he had been wandering Grimmauld Place aimlessly, lost in his thoughts. He was never going to find Lupin this way. He considered going and asking Mrs. Weasley again, but he was just not in the mood to be mothered right now. On the other hand, he wanted to get this talk over with. Harry sighed again and headed for the kitchen.

On the way there, he passed the open door of the study and saw the man he'd been searching for most of the morning. Lupin was sitting on a large leather couch next to Tonks. They had their heads bent together looking at a photo album.

"When Sirius heard what she'd done to me he turned her hair bright green. Took Narcissa over a month to get it back the way it was." Tonks was saying, grinning with an almost unholy glee at the memory.

Today Tonks wore had shoulder length red hair and sparkiling green eyes. Harry thought she looked rather like pictures of his mum. Lupin was laughing, looking more relaxed than Harry had ever seen him. He almost turned and left, but he knew if he didn't do this now he never would.

Harry cleared his throat, "Professor?"

"Harry!" said Lupin. "How are you?" he asked, his grey eyes mirroring his concern.

"I'm ok. Are you busy? I need to talk to you about something, but I can come back."

"It's allright Harry," Tonks said. "It's time for me to head to the ministry anyway. I'll see you later Remus, Harry." Waving she walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to interrupt..." Harry said.

"It's ok Harry. We were just going through some old photos. Now... you needed to talk to me?" Lupin said gesturing for Harry to sit.

Harry nodded, and sat unsure where to start now that he was here.

Lupin seemed to sense this. "Harry are you concerned about Sirius naming me your guardian?"

Harry blinked in suprise. "No Professor, of course not. I mean, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have as my guardian."

Lupin smiled a relieved sort of smile. "I'm glad Harry and I think we can drop the professor now. It's always made me feel old anyway. Call me Remus."

Harry nodded. Deciding it was best to just plunge in, Harry took a deep breath, "What do you know about the prophecy that Voldemort was after at the Ministry?"

Remus frowned, caught off guard. "Dumbledore always felt that the contents of the prophecy should remain secret. I know it was about you and Voldemort though."

Harry nodded again. "That's what I was afraid of," he said somewhat bitterly.

"Harry, If I knew what it said I'd tell you. Sirius and I both tried to get Dumbledore to tell us, but..."

"It's ok Remus. I know what it says, although I wish I didn't. That's why I wanted to talk to you. If you're going to be my guardian, you should know what you're getting yourself into."

"What do you mean 'what I'm getting into'. Harry what's going on?" Remus asked starting to look very worried.

Harry sighed. He closed his eyes and began to recite the words which had haunted him since Sirius' death.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.

Harry let his voice trail off and opened his eyes. Remus had his head in his hands, which were shaking.

"My God Harry," he said, his eyes wide with shock.

"I'll understand," Harry said quietly, "If you'd rather not be my guardian, I mean... I'm sort of dangerous to be around."

Lupin shook his head and then wrapped Harry in a brief, but fierce hug. The usually quiet professor lifted Harry's chin then and looked him in the eyes, a new determination written on his face. "Harry look at me, because I am only going to say this once. I will never, ever leave you. You are my family, the only family I have left now. As far as I am concerned, James and Sirius were my brothers. You are a part of James, so you are a part of me as well. I would die for you Harry, just as I would have for them. Are we clear?"

Harry could only nod, too choked up to speak. He had never realized the strength and caring which lay under the quiet, shabby exterior of his former professor.

"Who else knows?" Lupin asked.

"Aside from Dumbledore? No one. I'm just not ready to tell anyone else yet."

It was Lupin's turn to nod. "I understand Harry. If you want someone with you when you tell them..."

Harry smiled, greatful for his guardian's support. "Thanks Remus."

Lupin nodded and then looked down rather awkwardly. "Harry, you have been honest with me, so it's only fair that I return the favor. I've been... concerned that maybe you would not want me as your guardian."

"What?" said Harry, shock written on his face. The thought had never even crossed his mind. "Why on earth would you think that?"

Remus smiled a sad little smile. "Sometimes you are very like your mother Harry. She would have been just as puzzled as you are. I'm a werewolf Harry. Remember? There are still alot of places that I am not allowed to go. There are people who would turn away from you because of your association with me. More that that, there are times where I just won't be... available. Like you, I'm sort of dangerous to be around."

Harry looked at the quiet man who had been his father and godfathers best friend. Harry realized the best words of comfort he could offer were the ones which Lupin had used minutes before to comfort Harry.

"Remus, I'm only going to say this once. We're family, the only family we have left. You were a part of my Dad and Sirius, so you are a part of me. Nothing and no one will change that. "

Lupin grinned somewhat sheepishly. "Quite a pair aren't we Harry?"

Harry grinned back nodding.

Lupin decided a change in subject and a distraction for Harry was definately in order, and he knew just the thing. "Come with me Harry. There's something I want to show you."

Puzzled, Harry rose and followed Remus as he led him up the stairs and down the hall into a part of the house he had never seen before. Stopping in front of a plain oak door, Lupin turned to Harry a smile playing about his mouth.

"Last winter and spring, Sirius was extremely bored and exceptionally frustrated at being locked up here with nothing to do. I believe his exact words were... "Moony if I have to stay in this hellhole with nothing else to do but clean for five more minutes I may have to go knock that Umbridge woman on her arse and go take over Hogwarts!"

Harry laughed. He personally would've loved to have seen that.

"Anyway," Remus continued, "we came up with an idea. Sirius worked on it night and day. It was intended as his birthday gift to you Harry, but as you're living here now..."

Lupin raised his wand and placed it on the center of the door. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." The door swung slowly inward.


Muhahaha! Evil Cliffhanger. Hope you liked this chapter. I just felt like Remus and Harry needed to get to know each other a little better. Please review! Thanks.
Kreacher's Fate by Weasley Mom
A/N: All the characters contained here-in belong to Ms. Rowling

Harry stepped slowly into the room, and felt his jaw drop. He had never seen anything like this in his life. The room was huge. It was divided into a sleeping area, which was dominated by a massive wooden sleigh bed, and a living area. A large, red sectional sofa, covered with plump gold pillows, sat in the living area. The couch faced long floor to ceiling windows which looked out onto a... tropical beach?

"How... " Harry began looking at the windows.

"They've been enchanted. You can change the scene," Lupin said. He demonstrated by showing Harry, in quick succession, the Hogwarts grounds, a city skyline, and a beautiful starlit night, before changing it back to the beach scene.

Harry nodded his understanding, continuing his perusal of the room. A game table with four comfortable chairs stood in one corner. A shelf, piled with various magical games, was against a wall nearby. Turning back to the sleeping area, Harry saw a large mural was painted over the bed. A stag, a large black dog, and a wolf frolicked through a moonlit forest.

"Moony, Padfoot, and Prongs," Harry murmured smiling sadly. "I can't believe he did all this for me." He felt a comforting hand on his shoulder, and turned to see Remus looking at him.

"He loved you Harry. He wanted you to have a place of your own. Sirius knew you'd never had that growing up with the Dursleys. I think not being there for you was the one great regret of his life."

Harry nodded, too emotional to speak.

"There's one more thing if you're up to it Harry," Lupin said. Upon seeing Harry's nod, Remus walked over to a door he had not noticed earlier.

"How would you feel about a game of quidditch Harry?"

"Yeah, like they are going to let me out for that Remus," Harry snorted.

"Just concentrate on quidditch Harry, and then open the door," Remus ordered. Harry did as Lupin asked, suddenly supicious.

He opened the door and peeked in. A small, but well built indoor quidditch pitch met his gaze.

"He built me a quidditch pitch?" Harry boggled.

"Not exactly Harry. He built you your own room of requirement. He got the idea when he heard about the DA classes you were holding. It took us over a month to get this right, complicated bit of spell work. This used to be a closet."

Harry was at a complete loss for words. He stood there opening and closing his mouth, trying to wrap his mind around the magnitude of Sirius' gift to him. Finally he raised his eyes to Remus, a mischievious twinkle sparkling in their emerald depths.

"We are going to absolutely flatten Slytherin this year," he grinned.

"You truly are James Potter's son," said Lupin laughing. Just then they heard voices in the hallway.

"Harry?" Hermione's called, entering the room followed by Ginny and Ron. "There you are. We've been looking all over for you and.... HOLY CRICKETS! What is this place Harry?"

"My room," said Harry grinning. He proceded to eagerly show them, demonstrating both the windows and the room of requirement. Predictably, Hermione was impressed by the spellwork which went into them. Just as predictably, Ron was thrilled at the prospect of having unlimited access to a quidditch pitch all summer.

"Oh my gosh!" Ginny exclaimed after a few minutes. "We almost forgot. Mum sent us looking for you. It's lunchtime."

Not wishing to incur the wrath of Mrs. Weasley, the four friends and Lupin hurried down the hall and descended the steps. They were most of the way down when they heard it.

"Filthy blood traitor, giving away Mistress' house to the Dark Lord's enemy. Kreacher took care of him though, and Kreacher will deal with the rest of them too. Mudbloods, half-breeds, and blood traitors!"

White hot rage, like none he had ever felt before, filled Harry. His face contorted in absolute fury. He practically dove down the remaining steps, tackling Kreacher and wrapping his hands around his throat.

"Took care of Sirius did you?" Harry snarled. "You betrayed your master! Unfortunately for you, I'm your master now Kreacher, and I will NOT give you the opportunity to do the same to me!"

Harry's hands tightened on Kreacher's throat, cutting off his air supply. The elf's eyes bulged, as if they would pop out of his head. Harry was dimly aware of Hermione shouting that Kreacher was out of his head and didn't know what he was saying. He felt Ron and Ginny trying desperately to seperate him from the elf, but Harry didn't care. He tightened his fingers more. Finally, he heard Remus' voice cry out, and felt a spell hit him. He faded into blackness.

Harry came to painfully, his head throbbing. He sat up quickly as both awareness and memory flooded him. Waves of nausea and dizziness hit, but he refused to give in to them. Looking around he realized that he was in his room, in bed. He could see blurry figures standing nearby. Harry rubbed his head trying to relieve the pain and bring his eyes into focus.

"Lie back Harry. The pain will go away in a second. I had to to stupefy you," he heard Remus say and felt his glasses being pressed into his hands.

Putting them on, he looked around the room again. Remus was sitting at the foot of his bed, his face filled with concern. In one of the chairs from the game table, which had been moved over to the bed, sat Professor Dumbledore, his normally sparkling blue eyes very grave. Standing near Dumbledore, with a suprisingly fierce look on his face, was Dobby the house elf.

"Where is he?" Harry gritted out as his anger once again flared. "Why the hell was he still in Sirius' house... my house?"

"Calm down Harry... " Lupin began.

"Calm down?" Harry yelled. "It's HIS fault Sirius is dead Remus. He plotted with Malfiy and Voldemort to lure me to the Department of Mysteries. He lied to me when I tried to contact Sirius. None of it would've ever happened if it weren't for him. He deserves to be punished!"

"Harry, no one is arguing with that. We'd been looking for him since Sirius died. He disappeared when I...um...removed Mrs. Black," Lupin said, flushing guiltily as he remembered just how he had removed her."

"We believe Harry that he returned because, with the reading of Sirius' will, he is now bound to you. He had no choice," said Dumbledore speaking for the first time. "As for punishment..." Dumbledore motioned Dobby forward.

"Harry Potter sir, Dobby is very sorry you is losing your Sirius." Dobby's eyes took on an unaccustomed ferocity. "Kreacher is a bad elf Harry Potter. He will be punished. A council has been called sir."

"A council?" Harry asked.

"Yes Harry. The Elders' Council of the house-elfs will meet and decide Kreacher's fate," Dumbledore answered.

"I don't want him here, ever again," Harry murmured, looking down at his hands as he strove to get control of his raging emotions.

"He will not return Harry Potter sir. The punishment for causing the death of your master," Dobby shivered. "He will not be back."

Harry closed his eyes and nodded.

"Harry?" Dumbledore queried.

"Yes Headmaster?"

"After today's incident, I feel we need to begin your occlumency training once again. Remus and I will work on that together with you. It will not only help you to close your mind, it will help you to control your emotions. You will also begin practicing some battle tactics with Moody and Tonks. There will be additional lessons once school starts, but we will discuss that later. We will leave you now Harry. Try to get some rest."

Dumbledore rose, as did Lupin and Dobby.

"Remus? Can you stay for a little while?" Harry asked.

Remus nodded and sat back down as Dumbledore and Dobby left the room. Remus was looking intently at Harry, watching the play of emotions across his face.

"Everyone probably thinks I'm a real nutter now," Harry said.

"No Harry, of course they don't. They are very, very concerned though. As am I."

"It's all just... too much sometimes. I get so angry, and I lash out without meaning to. I mean, I know I have been short with everyone, but I never thought I could... "

Harry's voice trailed off and he looked down at his hands. In his heart he knew, if Remus had not stopped him he very easily coukld have killed Kreacher in his blind rage. Tears sparkled in his eyes as he realized what he had almost done. He turned his head in an attempt to hide his guilty face.

"Harry, you have been through more in the last 15 years than most people go through in a lifetime... in 10 lifetimes. You are stretched to the breaking point, and you keep so much of it inside. Of course it's too much sometimes," Remus said looking up at the mural over the bed.

"Sometimes, after I was bitten, I would get angry too. As young as I was, I knew my life would never be the same as other people's, and I was so mad at the injustice of it all. I didn't think I could tell anyone because they would turn away, so I kept it all in. It got worse once I started school. I'd see your Dad, Sirius, and Peter and they seemed so carefree. They could play quidditch and have girlfriends and do all the things normal kids do. They had no concept of what I was dealing with, and of course I was not about to tell them. I thought that, if they knew I would lose them, if they knew they would leave. I got into these horrible black moods that I'd take out on whoever happened by."

"How did you deal with it Remus?" Harry asked.

"It was your dad Harry," Lupin said smiling. "We had skipped out of History of Magic one day and were down by the lake. Sirius was talking about the latest prank he was planning.

I realized he was going to do it on a full moon night and I snapped at him. I guess your dad had had it with me. He told me that I was being 'a great bloody git' and I needed to quit feeling sorry for myself. I yelled at him, told him that he had no idea what I was dealing with. That's when he told me that they knew. They had known for six months, and maybe, if I'd quit brooding and talk about it I'd feel better, so I did. While I can't say that it has always worked, for the most part he was right." He looked up, suprised with his own openness.

Harry looked down again and nervously rubbed his scar.

"I should tell them what's happening shouldn't I? I should tell them about the prophecy."

"That's a decision only you can make Harry, and only when you are ready," Lupin replied.

Harry lost himself in his thoughts for a while. Slowly he looked up, green eyes meeting grey.

"I'm ready," he said simply.

A/N: Thanks for reading. I hope you guys enjoyed this one. Please review.
Prophecy Revealed by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling. FYI... Harry is slightly out of character in this chapter but he's dealing with alot, and kind of in shock, so in a way, it makes sense for him to not be acting like himself.

Harry sat nervously in his bed, where Remus had insisted he stay, waiting for his guardian to return with the Weasleys and Hermione. He had decided to tell them all at once and just be done with it, although he still wasn't exactly sure what he would say. He supposed it would just be best to begin at the beginning. The problem was, Harry was not sure exactly what the beginning was. He knew the last year had been hard on everyone, particularly those closest to him. He knew he had not been a pleasant person to be around, and yet they had stayed, they had not given up on him. Harry sighed and rubbed his scar.

Just then Remus poked his head in the door. Looking gravely at Harry he asked, " You sure you are ready for this?"

"Yeah Remus. I need to do this. I can't keep it all in anymore."

Remus nodded, and opened the door the rest of the way. The room was suddenly filled with people, all voicing their concern, all worried about him, despite what he had done earlier. Harry looked around at the familiar faces, this group of people who had become his family when he had none. He knew then with absolute clarity that he had to tell them, no matter how hard it would be.

"Remus said you had something you wanted to tell us dear, but you look exhausted. Are you sure this can't wait?" said Mrs. Weasley hugging Harry to her fiercely.

Harry shook his head. "No Mrs. Weasley. It really can't wait anymore."

Harry waited until everyone had found a seat, then looked around nervously clearing his throat.

"Well... um..." Harry began. "First I want to say thank you, to all of you, for putting up with me lately. I know I haven't been exactly easy to be around."

Ron snorted, "You've been a real git Harry."

"Ronald!" Mrs Weasley and Hermione said simultaneously, giving Ron eerily similar glares.

"No... it's ok. He's right. I have been. I asked you all in here to explain to you why. You all deserve that," Harry took a deep breath. This was going to be harder than he thought.

"I guess it all started with Cedric's death. When he died, and Voldemort came back, I think I felt responsible for it. I felt like I should've done something to save Cedric, done something to stop Voldemort's return. At the time, I didn't know why I felt that way exactly. I just know that I did."

"Harry, that's ridiculous. There is nothing you could've done," said Hermione trying to comfort him.

Harry just smiled sadly at her. He knew that this is where things would begin to get to get truly uncomfortable for him. He was not used to sharing so much of himself with other people, even Ron and Hermione, and he was about to reveal the darkest of his secrets to a room full of people.

"There was more than just the guilt though. I kept getting these glimpses into Voldemort's mind, usually when I was asleep. Even worse, I could do more than just see his thoughts. I could look through his eyes, feel what he felt." Harry stopped to gather his thoughts, afraid to look up and see what was in their faces.

"It was almost like a part of me was becoming him. When... when Mr. Weasley got bitten, I didn't just see it, I was in the snake. I felt it, I tasted it." He heard the sharp indrawn breath of Mrs. Weasley. Tears rolled unnoticed down his face, his eyes jewel bright. He had to go on, no matter how much it hurt.

"I started taking occlumency with Professor Snape, but it only made things worse. The dreams became more intense. I started dreaming about the Department of Mysteries almost every night. I thought that if I could just get to that door, just see what was beyond it, I'd understand what was happening to me. I'd understand why I felt the way that I did." Harry swiped at his tears and took a deep breath.

"Then I had the dream about Sirius, and I did something I will regret forever. I went to the Department of Mysteries and, well you all know what happened then." Harry paused, remembering himself, seeing again the images of Bellatrix and Sirius, of the danger he put his friends in. He would not let that happen again. He had to go on, had to let them know what he was, what they faced by standing with him.

"Afterwards, Dumbledore took me to his office. I was so angry with him. In my mind, he'd ignored me, shut me out, and kept me in the dark for an entire year, and now Sirius was dead. I threw a right fit... destroyed his office, cursed, and screamed. When I finally stopped to listen, he told me he was sorry, told me why he had treated me the way he had, why Voldemort just can't leave me alone. I finally understood, but now that I know, I wish that I didn't. " Harry looked up then. He had to see their faces when he told them.

"I know what the prophecy in the Ministry says... all of it. It's about me... me and Voldemort." Mrs. Weasley shook her head, tears streaming down he pale face as Mr. Weasley tried to comfort her. Ron was holding Hermione, tears in both of their eyes as they listened to Harry speak. Fred and George, more serious then he had ever seen them, sat on either side of a shocked looking Ginny, supporting her. Lupin sat near Harry, his eyes filled with pain and compassion for the boy who was like a son to him. Harry stared ahead, forcing himself to continue, and for the second time since he'd heard it, he repeated the prophecy.

"No!" Ron was the first to react, his voice choked. "That... that can't be right Harry. It can't mean what it sounds like."

"I'm afraid it is mate," said Harry smiling sadly at him, curiously detached as if this were happening to another person. "In the end, it comes down to me and Voldemort. I have to either kill or be killed."

"No Harry! Divinition and prophecy... They're both very wooly. This... it sounds like a bunch of nonsense," Hermione said her voice high, slightly panicked as she tried to make sense of it, find a logical explanation.

"'Mione... don't," he said simply, reaching out and grabbing her hand. She looked down at him then, tears filling her eyes.

"Oh Harry!" she said breaking down, and throwing herself on him sobbing. He held her for just a moment before releasing her to Ron.

Harry looked around once more at the shocked and dazed expressions of his friends. "I know that this is alot to take in all at once. I need to make you understand though. Just being here with me, being seen with me puts you all in danger. He won't hesitate to use you the way he did Sirius. I will understand Mr. and Mrs. Weasley if you want to take your family and go. I'll understand if anyone wants to leave."

"Harry James Potter!" Mrs. Weasley said in the voice that she usually reserved for Fred and George at their very worst. "How dare you! Arthur and I think of you as one of our own. We would no more desert you then we would any of our children. We knew there was danger for us when we joined the Order. The danger may be greater here with you, but the fight is so much more important to us."

Mr. Weasley spoke then, his normally jovial visage grim, "Harry, you will always be a part of our family. This does not change that. We would die for you just as we would the others."

"We love you Harry," said Mrs. Weasley simply, sitting down next to him and putting her arms around him.

Harry finally broke then, buried his face in Mrs. Weasley's shoulder and cried. He felt the walls he had built around himself crumbling, his tears leaking from his eyes like poison from his wounded heart. He cried for all of the things he'd lost, for all that he was, and all that he could never be. He was dimly aware of the others leaving until it was just Harry, Remus, and Mrs. Weasley. In those few minutes that Harry allowed himself this weakness, which he usually fought so hard against, he finally accepted who and what he was. It was as if saying it, telling them, had made it real. He was Harry James Potter, the Child of Prophecy. He was the Boy Who Lived. He was the man who would defeat, had to defeat, Voldemort.

Thanks for reading. I know this chapter is emotional, but it had to be done to move on with the story. Thanks for all of the nice reviews guys. Please keep them coming!
Friends of a Hero by Weasley Mom
A/N: All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.



Without needing to speak, to even acknowledge it, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and the twins went directly to Ron's room after leaving Harry's. Sitting down, they all looked at each other, not really knowing what to say. Finally, Fred broke the silence.

"Right. So what's the plan, how do we help him?"

"Plan?" Ron asked. "We're supposed to have a bloody plan for something like this?"

"You're the best mate of the hero little brother," George said. "Sirius put the burden on you."

"Well obviously," Hermione said, "we need to do some research. We need to help Harry learn as many spells as we can get our hands on, maybe find some old magic."

Ginny shook her head. "The adults will be doing that Hermione. I mean you can still look, and we can still do that, but I think we need to be there in a different way for Harry. I think it's up to us to make him remember what it is he's fighting for, to put as much fun and normalcy into his life as we can... just in case," she added quietly her voice breaking slightly.

"Just in case Ginny? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Harry is NOT going to lose. He is NOT going to die. There is no just in case," Ron stormed at her.

"Do you think I want to think that Ron? I care about Harry too, more than you'll ever know. I wish things were different, with all my heart, but they're not," Ginny raged back.

"Ronald," Hermione said grabbing his hand. "We...we have to accept that it's a possibilty, as much as we don't want to."

Ron glared at her. "I can't. I won't... It's Harry," he said his voice breaking. Hermione put a comforting arm around him.

"Merlin! We're supposed to be his friends 'Mione... his best friends. How could we not know something like this? How could we not realize how badly he was hurting? I...I actually thought that he was being a jealous prat 'cause things were finally going my way and now... I mean I knew all that he'd been through. Why didn't I help him? How did I miss this?" Ron's eyes were filled with guilt and pain for his friend.

"It's not your fault Ron, anymore than it is mine. We both know how Harry has always kept so much inside of him. We didn't know how bad it was for him, because he didn't want us to know," Hermione said soothingly.

"But why Hermione? Why didn't he tell us? We would've helped him. Why did he leave us in the dark thinking the worst of him?"

Hermione sighed, "I don't know Ron. I wish I did."

"He was trying to protect you," Ginny said quietly.

"Protect us?" Ron said, clearly not believing her.

Ginny nodded. "He was scared Ron. He was afraid of what he saw himself becoming. He was afraid that you would be hurt because of him and angry that he was powerless to stop it. I've been in Voldemort's mind. It's not a pretty place, and he's been getting flashes of it for a long time. It's bound to have an impact," she said her eyes haunted, as though remembering her experience with the mind of Voldemort.

Her brothers exchanged a somewhat guilty look. They sometimes forgot what Ginny had gone through in her first year.

"Sorry Gin," Ron said. Ginny got up and walked over to her brother, hugging him.

"It'll be ok Ron. We'll get him through this. We have to."

"You lot allright?" said a voice from the doorway. They all turned to see a concerned Mr. and Mrs. Weasley watching them.

"Of course they're not allright Arthur. None of us are," said Mrs. Weasley, sitting down on the bed by her two youngest children.

"How's Harry Mum?" Ginny asked.

"He's sleeping now. Remus is with him. That poor child. It's not enough for him to have lost his parents and his godfather, and to have grown up with those horrible muggles. No, he has to be given a burden like this," Molly began to tear up. Ron and Ginny both hugged her, trying to comfort her.

"Children," said Mr. Weasley quietly. "We are heading into very dark times. We are going to need to be strong and stand together, not just for Harry, but for each other. Your mother and I want all of you to know, including you Hermione, that we love you and are here if you need us."

Fred and George exchanged a look, and seemed to reach a silent agreement.

"Mum, Dad... Fred and I have been discussing it..." said George.

"And we feel that it is high time we joined the Order," said Fred.

Mrs. Weasley opened her mouth to protest. George cut her off.

"We wouldn't have to be on the front lines Mum. We're pretty fair inventors we like to think. We can develop things to help the Order... to help Harry."

"We're not children anymore Mum. None of us are really. We know we can help. Let us do this," said Fred a determined gleem in his eye.

"They're right Molly. They're not children and they could help. Merlin knows we need all the help we can get," said Mr.Weasley firmly, looking with pride and a touch of sadness upon the twins.

Tears once again filled Mrs. Weasley's eyes, but she nodded, knowing she'd lost this battle. Composing herself, she stood up, briskly clapping her hands.

"C'mon... downstairs. All of you, with all of the excitement not one of you has had a bite to eat since breakfast."

Fred laughed. "Typical Mum, when in doubt, feed someone." He nevertheless did as he was told and followed his parents down the stairs accompanied by George and Ginny. Hermione and Ron stayed where they were, however.

"I can't believe this is happening," Hermione said at last. "It's all just too much. I keep thinking it's a nightmare and I'll wake up and we'll be back at school and Harry will be back to himself and everything will be ok."

"I know 'Mione. I know," Ron said, wrapping his arms around her to comfort her.

"How do we help him Ron?" Hermione asked her eyes pleading for an answer, she, the one who had all the answers, who knew everything.

"I wish I knew," said Ron.

The day's events ran through their brains, as they desperately tried to come to grips with the burden their best friend bore. Ron was lost in guilt, in his mind he had failed Harry. Hermione was going through every book she had ever read in her head, trying to remember something, anything that would help.

Mrs. Weasley, sensing their need to be alone, brought them up sandwiches and left them to their thoughts. The house had grown dark around them, still they sat together, talking quietly hoping against hope that, things could go back to the way they were.

"Not easy is it?"

They turned quickly and saw Lupin standing in the doorway watching them.

"What do you mean?" Ron asked.

Lupin smiled sadly. "I, much like Sirius, have been in your spot. I was one of James' best friends too. And Harry... Harry for all the ways he can be like Lily, is very much James' son."

"Really?" said Hermione. "I'd always gotten the impression that his dad was more like...well... like Sirius."

Lupin grinned, remembering. "In some ways yes, but there were always depths to James that most people never saw. He kept so much of himself hidden deep inside, only a very few ever got to know the real James. Harry is the same way."

Ron nodded. "I feel like... like I've failed him Professor, like I wasn't there when he needed me to be. I don't ever want to do that again."

Lupin sighed, sitting next to Ron. "You haven't failed him Ron, nor you Hermione. I honestly believe no one could've helped Harry before now. He had to come to terms with this himself. I know you two have always been there for Harry, but this is his cross to bear. As much as we would like to, we can't carry it for him. You can help him though."

Ron and Hermione nodded, neither sure if they completely believed what their old professor had said, but comforted by it just the same.

"He's awake if you want to see him."

"What do we say to him Professor? How do we help him?" Ron asked, his pain evident in his voice.

"You two have spent almost six years being the best friend of the Boy Who Lived. You've never treated him that way though. To you, he's always been just Harry. Underneath it all, he's still just Harry, and he needs you to remind him of that now more then ever."

Ron and Hermione were quiet for a moment, and then exchanged a glance. Nodding, they both stood and went to go find their friend.

Another chapter down! The next one is, I promise, much lighter. Thanks for reading, and please remember to review!!!
Birthday Suprises by Weasley Mom
A/N: I really wish I could say I owned these characters, however, they all belong to Ms. Rowling.



The next few weeks passed by in a blur for Harry. True to his word, Dumbledore set him a vigorous training schedule. His mornings were occupied by occlumency sessions with either Lupin or the headmaster himself. Harry's elation at not having these lessons with Snape passed quickly, however, as he generally left them with his head pounding. His occlumency was improving greatly despite this, and he could, for the most part, block both of his instructors from invading his memories. He also noticed that, as Dumbledore had said, he was now able to keep a much tighter reign on his emotions.

His afternoons, in contrast, were spent learning various forms of non-magical combat in his room of requirement under the close supervision of Moody. Either Tonks or Kingsley, and sometimes both, assisted with these lessons. Harry seemed to have a natural ability that made these sessions much more enjoyable to him then his morning ones. He knew he had impressed both of the younger aurors with not only his speed and agility, but how quickly he picked up what they were teaching him. Harry suspected he had even earned a grudging respect from Moody, although the old man still preached constant vigilence.

Before Harry knew it, the morning of his birthday dawned, bright and clear. Harry stretched and yawned, smiling to himself. He had been given today off in order to properly celebrate, and Harry was looking forward to some much needed relaxation with his friends. He grinned as he heard Ron snoring from the couch. Putting his glasses on, Harry got quietly out of bed and tiptoed over to his sleeping friend. Using the tassle from one of the pillows, he tickled Ron's nose.

"Mmmm... 'Mione... stoooop," mumbled Ron sleepily.

"Urgh!" Harry said, abandoning the gentle approach and whacking Ron in the head with the pillow.

"Hey!" said Ron sitting up. "What was that for?"

"You were talking in your sleep... again."

"I do NOT talk in my sleep," Ron said indignantly.

"Ohhhh 'Mione," said Harry grinning and making kissy noises.

WHAM! Ron hit Harry in the head with one of the other pillows.

"You realize, " Harry said dramatically, "that this means war Weasley?"

"Bring it on Potter," said a grinning Ron.

The air was soon filled with flying pillows, several of which burst open scattering feathers everywhere. In the midst of this, Hermione and Ginny walked in to see if the boys were ready for breakfast.

"What exactly do you two think you are doing?" Hermione asked in her best prefect voice.

"Mum is going to kill you," Ginny added trying to hide her amusement.

Harry cocked an eyebrow at Ron, who nodded, grinning.

"Attack!" Harry cried flinging pillows at Ginny. Ron, meanwhile, was chasing Hermione across the room, and soon had her tackled on the couch.

"Victory!" Ron declared leaning down and kissing a giggling Hermione.

Harry, on the other hand, was beginning to realize the folly of initiating a pillow fight with a girl who had six older brothers. She had very deviously maneuvered Harry so that he was backed against the edge of his bed.

"Ha! Give it up Harry, you know I have you," Ginny declared, smacking him once more with her pillow for good measure.

"Oh really?" he said and, using a move Tonks had taught him, quickly grabbed Ginny and reversed their positions, pinning her on the bed.

"Tsk, tsk Ms. Weasley. You forgot rule number one. Constant vigilence! I win," he said smiling down at her. Ginny looked up at him smiling, he cheeks flushed, her hair spread out around her head like a fiery halo. She was, quite simply irresistable to Harry at that moment. Before he knew what he was doing, he leaned towards her. He saw her eyes widen in suprise, and then drift closed, as he felt one of her arms come up to rest lightly on his shoulder, her fingers in his hair. Their lips met in a gentle kiss.

"Ummmm... Harry?" said Ron in a slightly strangled voice. "What are you doing to my sister?"

Harry jumped up as if shocked, his face a bright Weasley red. "Uhhhh... I... omigosh... Ron... I" he stuttered nervously attempting to flatten his nicely mussed hair.

"We were doing exactly the same thing you were doing about ten seconds ago Ronald. Not that it is any of your business. I'm not a baby anymore you know." Ginny said putting her hands on her hips and glaring at her brother.

"You... you were snogging my best friend.... on his bed!" Ron snapped back.

"Ooo... Ronald Bilius Weasley sometimes you can just be so... Ooo!" Ginny growled and stormed off.

"Now look what you did," Hermione said shooting Ron a nasty look.

"What I did?" Ron shouted. " Blame Harry. He kissed her."

"Do you have any idea how long she has been waiting for that to happen Ronald? I'm going after her," Hermione stomped off after Ginny, muttering something about the stupidity of men under her breath.

Harry sat on his bed, a goofy grin spreading on his face, which was quickly wiped away when Ron turned to him.

"You kissed my sister," Ron accused. "Why in the hell did you kiss my sister?"

"Why do you think I kissed her mate?" Harry said, irritated and elated all the same time. She had, after all, kissed him back.

"But... she's my sister," Ron said lamely.

"I'm aware of that Ron. Look... I really like her. I mean REALLY like her. She understands alot of what I'm going through and I can talk to her about things, and in case you haven't noticed she's gorgeous. You're my best friend though, and if you aren't comfortable with... you know... Ginny and me.. I need to know now."

Ron sat down next to Harry and looked at him.

"You REALLY like her?"

Harry nodded, blushing again, which caused Ron to grin.

"I can't believe you like my baby sister. She compared your eyes to pickled toads for Merlin's sake, " Ron teased.

"Shut up Ron," Harry said smiling in spite of himself.

"Wait until I tell Fred and George."

"They are going to kill me," Harry said paling.

"Naw mate. They might be a little shocked at first. Probably threaten you some even, but they'll be happy that she is with you. Now c'mon. Let's go eat. I am starving."

Harry snorted. "When aren't you?"

"Keep that up and I'm telling Bill and Charlie too," said Ron as they headed down the stairs. Harry paled even more, causing Ron to start laughing.

"What?" Harry demanded irritated.

"You've got to face bloody Voldemort and you're afraid of my brothers finding out you kissed Ginny."

Harry grinned sheepishly as they entered the kitchen. Ginny, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, and the twins were already there, seated around the large table. Ginny smiled shyly at Harry as he slipped into the empty seat next to her.

"Happy Birthday Harry dear," said Mrs. Weasley, pecking him on the cheek and handing him a full plate. "Eat up. We have a suprise planned for you today."

"A suprise?" Harry asked smiling.

"We thought you could use some fresh air and sunshine. We'll be going to the Burrow after breakfast. The others are there now setting up wards and making sure it's safe."

Harry and Ron quickly finished eating and ran upstairs to get ready to go. They were soon back in the kitchen with the girls and Mrs. Weasley. The twins had already apparated. Mrs. Weasley handed each of them a pinch of floo powder and with cires of "the Burrow," they found themselves in the Weasley's comfortable home.

"C'mon Birthday Boy," said Ginny grabbing his hand and pulling him outside where several large tables were set up. A banner reading, "Happy Birthday Harry" was strung between two trees. Harry was suprised to see just how many people were here. He recognized several Order members, as well as all of the Weasleys. Even Hagrid and Professors Dumbledore and Mcgonnagall were there.

"Happy Birthday Harry," said a familiar voice. Turning he saw his friend Neville Longbottome, accompanied by Luna Lovegood.

"Yes Harry. Happy Birthday," said Luna in her usual dreamy voiced way.

"Thanks," said Harry feeling a little overwhelmed by it all.

"You ok Harry?" Ginny asked, seeming to sense something was up.

"I just didn't expect all this," he said. "I've never had a birthday party before."

"Well then it's high time you did," Ginny said decisively, pulling him along.

Before Harry knew it, all his awkwardness had dissolved. He was soon laughing, joking, and eating with his friends. Ginny stayed by his side the whole time, earning Harry some curious looks from Fred and George. About halfway through the afternoon, Ron hollered across the lawn to him.

"Oy Harry! The oldies here," Ron said pointing at Bill and Charlie, "have challenged us to a game of quidditch. Think you're up to it?"

Harry grinned. "Of course I am, assuming I can borrow a broom."

Soon an intense game was under way. On one side was seeker Harry, keeper Ron, beaters Fred and George and chasers Luna, Ginny, and a very reluctant Hermione. On the opposing team was seeker Charlie, keeper Remus, beaters Kingsley and Mundungus, and chasers Tonks, Bill, and, suprising everyone, Professor McGonnagall. Moody agreed to act as referee.

Harry found himself having more fun than he could remember having in a very long time. He very nearly laughed himself off his broom when McGonnagall managed to score on a very red faced Ron. Finally though, he saw the golf ball which Professor Dumbledore had enchanted to act as the snitch. Going into a steep dive and swooping under a startled Tonks, Harry caught it winning the game with a suprisingly close score of 150 - 210.

The game had lasted several hours and it was nearly dinnertime, so everyone began to help Mrs. Weasley set up. She had made all of Harry's favorites, and even had a huge chocolate cake with sixteen candles and the words "Happy Birthday Harry!" spelled out in neon green frosting.

When everyone had finished eating, Harry began to open his presents. Nevile and Luna had given him a years subsription to The Qibbler, while he had gotten his usual gift of candy from Ron. Hermione had, predictably, given him a book entitled Defensive Spells for Dark Days: How to Prepare for the Worst. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill, and Charlie had pooled their money together and brought Harry some very expensive looking dragon-hide gloves for quidditch. They were a bright Gryffindor red and had his initials embrodered in gold on the backs. From Tonks, Shacklebolt, and Moody, Harry received a complete, Ministry approved, set of auror's tools which included wards, a foe glass, and various dark detectors.

"You can never be too careful Potter," Moody growled.

Mundungus Fletcher had earned the wrath of both Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonnagall with his gift, a very old bottle of Firewhiskey.

"It was Sirius' favorite. He'd have wanted you to have it," 'Dung whispered to Harry with a wink.

Finally only three presents were left on the table.

"Open ours next Harry," said George seeming to almost bounce with excitement.

"Why? Is it going to explode on me?" Harry asked.

"So suspicious Harry. Just open it," said Fred.

Very cautiously, Harry tore the paper off. A red and gold box looked up at him. Words slowly began to appear on its surface.

"Through special arrangement with Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the Marauders proudly present... The Marauders Line - Aides to Magical Mischief Makers."

Harry looked up stunned at a grinning Fred and George.

"We used the money Sirius left us to develope these," said Fred.

"Open the box Harry," George added.

Harry did as George asked. Inside was an assortment of candies, fireworks, and prank objects with names like Moony's Howling Moon Pops, Padfoot's Irresistable Posies, and Prong's Pattented Prancing Pinwheels.

Remus laughed. "Speaking as the last remaining Marauder, I think I can safely say that we are deeply honored boys. Padfoot and Prongs would be delighted to know that they will be leading yet another generation of Hogwarts students astray."

"Heaven help us. I don't think I can take the kind of havoc those four used to cause at my age," muttered Professor McGonnagall. Lupin grinned. All the Marauders knew that she had always held a soft spot for their little group.

"Ok Harry, since we're strolling down memory lane... mine is next," his guardian said handing Harry a small box.

Opening it, Harry found a small golden snitch engraved with the letters J. P. The ball took flight and flitted around Harry's head. In a gesture reminiscent of his father, Harry practiced catching and releasing it several times.

"It was your dad's Harry. He knicked it in fourth year. He used to practice catching it for hours on end, drove your Mum nuts. Sirius stole it right before your folks got married and had it engraved as a wedding gift. As I recall, Lily was less than pleased with his efforts."

"Less then pleased? She cursed him. Sirius like to never got rid of those fleas. She had a way with curses your Mum," said 'Dung laughing.

Harry smiled. He loved hearing about his parents. At times like these he missed them terribly, and wished that both they and Sirius could be here.

"I believe that ours is next Mr. Potter," said Professor Dumbledore pushing the long box from he, Professor McGonnagall, and Hagrid towards Harry. Harry ripped off the paper. There on the paper was his prized Firebolt. Pinned to it, a large golden C, which both Oliver Wood and Angelina Johnson had worn before him, glinted brightly.

"We thought perhaps that you'd be interested in being Gryffindor's quidditch captain," Professor McGonnagall said beaming.

Harry let out a loud whoop of joy, as he was practically tackled by an enthusiastic Ron, Ginny, and Hermione.

"Thank you all so much. This has been the best birthday I've ever had," said Harry smiling.

Suddenly the joy was wiped from Harry's face to be replaced by one of sheer agony. He clutched his scar and fell to his knees as he felt the searing pain that only Voldemort could bring. Harry struggled desperately to slam down the barriers of his mind as Dumbledore had shown him.

"You didn't think I'd let your birthday go by without a gift from me did you Harry?" He heard the high, cold voice of Voldemort in his head, accompanied by the startling image of the Dark Mark hanging over a familiar house on Privet Drive.

"No!" Harry gasped as he turned to retch helplessly upon the grass.

A/N: I know...evil cliffhanger again. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thanks for reading it and please be sure to review.
Voldemort's Gift by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters in this story are from the wonderful mind of Ms. Rowling.

Harry felt gentle hands cradling his head as he gained enough control over his tortured body to tell them what he saw. He felt something cool being placed on his forehead and the pain gradually lessened enough for him to open his eyes. He saw the concerned and frightened faces of his friends gathered around him.

"What did you see Harry?" Professor Dumbledore's soothing voice asked.

"The Dark Mark over Privet Drive. Death Eaters are there Professor. I think..." Harry managed to choke out before another wave of pain hit him and he had to clench his jaws to keep from vomitting again.

"Molly, Fred, George... you take Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to headquarters. Minerva and Hagrid... you see Mr. Longbottom and Ms. Lovegood home. The rest of you to Arabella Figg's house quickly. Time is of the essence," Dumbledore ordered, his usually kind blue eyes fierce.

"Professor wait!" said Harry as Order members began to apparate with a pop. "I want to go to Privet Drive. They, as horrid as they have always been to me, are all I have left of my Mum."

"Harry, I understand, but you are barely fit to travel let alone face Death Eaters. I cannot let you go," Dumbledore answered firmly.

"But..." Harry began.

"Harry, we'll come back as soon as we have news. I promise. We just can't let you walk into danger like that. You're not ready yet," Remus said soothingly.

"Not ready? I've already faced Death Eaters Remus," said Harry pulling away from the hands which held him and trying to stand as a wave of dizziness threatened to overtake him.

"Be reasonable. You can't even stand," Remus argued.

Harry glared at them for a moment before finally nodding, defeated. "Be careful," he said.

"We will. We'll come tell you as soon as we know something," Remus said. He and the headmaster then apparated with a pop.

"All right children in the house quickly," Mrs. Weasley said, waving her wand to clean up the party mess. "Fred, George... grab Harry's gifts for him."

Ron and Hermione helped Harry into the house with Ginny trailing behind them. Harry's head was still throbbing, so he sat in one of the kitchen chairs and closed his eyes. His thoughts were a chaotic whirl of emotions. He heard Hagrid, Professor McGonnagall, Neville, and Luna bidding him good-bye and offering words of comfort before they flooed home.

"Harry?" said Mrs. Weasley's gentle voice. "Come along dear. Let's get you home."

He looked up then, realizing that the others were already gone. Harry took the pinch of floo powder that Mrs. Weasley offered, cast it in the flames, and cried "Number Twelve Grimmauld Place."

Harry stepped into the fire and after a moments whirling, found himself in Grimmauld Place. He stood there numbly, not knowing what to do now.

"Harry?" he heard Ginny say. He looked woodenly down at her, saw the concern and understanding in her eyes.

"Why Ginny? Why did he have to do this now? Why today?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry," she said. Tears sparkled in her eyes at seeing Harry so lost. She wrapped him in a gentle hug, trying to comfort him.

"C'mon mate," said Ron. "Let's go up to your room and wait for Lupin and Dumbledore to get back."

Harry nodded, following his friends up the stairs to his room. He felt Ginny push him gently down on the couch and realized that he had just been standing there, staring at it. Ginny sat next to him and held his ice cold hand, offering her wordless comfort. Ron and Hermione sat nearby.

"So... you want to play chess or something Harry?" Ron asked. Harry just stared blankly ahead, as if he didn't hear him. The others tried to draw him into conversation as well, but Harry's eyes were lifeless. It was like he wasn't even in the room with them.

"I think he might be in shock Ron," said Hermione as Harry began to shake, as if he were out in the snow with no coat. "We should go get your Mum."

Ron nodded and was standing to go get her, when a quiet knock sounded on the door and Dumbledore and Lupin entered.

Remus and Dumbledore took one look at Harry and knew that something was dreadfully wrong with him. Dumbledore turned quickly to Remus.

"Get in contact with Poppy Pomfrey..." he began.

"No Professor. It's ok. I don't need Madame Pomfrey," Harry said in a dead voice, looking down at the floor.

"Harry are you sure? You've had quite a shock tonight, and with everything you've dealt with lately..."

"I'm fine Professor, really," Harry said.

"Harry," Remus said. "I'm sorry but.."

"I know Remus. I saw it. All of it. He showed me. I saw Peter kill Uncle Vernon and Dudley. I saw Bellatrix torture Aunt Petunia. The bitch was laughing when she did it. She enjoyed it. Voldemort said it was my birthday gift from him."

He heard Ginny struggling to control her tears. He saw Hermione burry her face in Ron's shoulder, as he tried to awkwardly comfort her. Dumbledore regarded Harry with concern in his eyes.

"Harry," Remus said in an agonized whisper, his heart aching for the boy who was like a son to him.

"Your aunt is still alive. Moody and Tonks took her to St. Mungo's," Dumbledore said quietly.

"I want to see her."

"Are you sure you're up to it?" said Dumbledore. At Harry's nod, the headmaster produced a battered teacup from the folds of his robe, quickly transfigured it into a portkey, and held it out to Harry. Harry took hold. He soon felt the familiar tug behind his belly button, and landed with a thud outside St. Mungo's false storefront.

Dumbledore ushered him quickly inside. After a brief whispered conversation with the information witch, Harry and Dumbledore continued on to the spell damage floor. They were met by Moody and a slightly battered looking Tonks. She immediately wrapped Harry in a bone crushing hug.

"Harry, I am so sorry," she said.

"It's ok Tonks. Where is she?" Harry asked. Tonks mutely pointed to a door to her left.

Harry opened the door and walked in. His aunt lay in bed, staring at nothing. Her hair, which Harry had never seen out of place, was sticking out at odd angles from her head. Her eyes were blank and completely empty. It was as though the woman who was Petunia Evans Dursley had died with her husband and son and left her still living body behind. Harry walked quietly over to her and took her hand.

"Aunt Petunia?" he said gently. Much as Harry expected, she did not respond at all. It was as if he had never spoken, as if he wasn't in the room. "Don't worry Aunt Petunia. He won't get away with this."

"Harry?" came Dumbledore's voice from behind him.

"You know Professor, Voldemort made a mistake tonight. He tried to scare me. He tried to hurt me and intimidate me. He wanted me to see that nothing and no one was safe if they associated with me." Harry turned and smiled grimly, his face shrouded in the shadows of the dim room.

"I already knew that though. He taught me that lesson when I was just a baby. He failed to scare me. He failed to intimidate me, and I am already so hurt that a little more doesn't even register. All he succeeded in doing tonight was stripping away the last vestiges of the child I was. All he succeeded in doing was making me more determined."

Harry stepped out from the shadows then. His eyes seemed to burn with strength and an untapped power. His face, though still youthful was hard, no longer that of a child.

"I'm going to kill him Professor. I will not let him rip anyone else's home and family away like he did mine. This has to end."

Harry left then and walked out into the hallway. Dumbledore watched him go, a lone tear trailing down his cheek and getting lost in his beard.

A/N: Whew! Another one down. Hope you liked it. Please make sure to review so I know how I'm doing. Thanks!
Diagon Alley by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters herein are the property of JK Rowling.

In the days and weeks which followed the attack on Privet Drive, Harry threw himself into both his occlumency and combat lessons with an almost frightening intensity and determination. His occlumency had progressed to the point that neither Lupin, nor Dumbledore could breach his mind's defenses. More than that however, Harry found that he could, briefly, get past their barriers and catch glimpses of their memories As a result, these lessons had been reduced to once a week allowing Harry more time with his friends.

His combat sessions with Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley had taken an interesting turn with the arrival of an owl from the Ministry three days after Harry's birthday. In light of the, "obvious and heinous attacks," on Harry, the Ministry had granted him dispensation from the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry. This was, the letter read, due to "your undeniable need to be able to protect yourself from the actions of He-who-must-not-be-named and his followers." In short, Harry was now able to use magic out of shcool. Harry had laughed bitterly when he read the letter.

"Incompetent idiots... just now figuring out I'm in danger," he snorted, his eyes flashing.

Despite his scorn of the Ministry however, Harry was happy to be able to incorporate spell work in with the non-magical forms of combat he had been learning. More than once during these lessons Harry had been able to best both of the younger aurors. Tonks had even confessed to Harry that he was able to do things that she hadn't picked up until her second year of auror training.

Between his daily training regiment and the hearty meals served to him by Mrs. Weasley, Harry was hardly recognizable as the skinny, guilt-ridden boy who had left Privet Drive at the start of summer. He had grown a couple of inches, but more than that he had filled out. He now had the sleek, lean lines of an athlete, much like his father before him. As Ginny had noted to Hermione, he even moved differently... more confidently. Yet, his friends were still worried about him.

He went, at least twice a week, to visit his aunt, usually accompanied by Remus. He always came back with haunted eyes and went immediately up to his room. Once there, he locked himself in his room of requirement and could be heard practicing hexes and various fighting techniques while loud, angry sounding muggle rock music blared in the background.

The little free time Harry allowed himself he spent either practicing quidditch or simply laughing and talking with his friends and Ginny. Harry's moodiness of the last year was mostly gone, although his smiles didn't always reach his eyes and he sometimes lapsed into silence. His friends did their best to keep Harry's spirits up, although he seemed to be at his happiest when he was with Ginny.

About a week before term was to start, the four friends were sitting at the table laughing and talking over breakfast with Fred and George. when Lupin walked in smiling and waving mail.

"Hogwarts letters and OWL results just arrived," he said.

"Omigosh!" Hermoine squeaked paling as Lupin handed her letter to her.

"Oh please 'Mione, you know you did well," Ron said taking his letter from Lupin.

"Oh just hurry up and open them," said Ginny trying to look over Harry's shoulder as he stared down at the envelope in his hands.

"Ok...on three," Harry said," one... two... three." They ripped open the envelopes and quickly scanned their letters.

"Yes!" said Harry, grabbing Ginny and twirling her around.

"I take it you did well," she said giggling.

"Yep," said Harry. "Six OWLS, including O's in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, and Potions. Snape has to let me into his NEWT class. I can be an auror Gin."

"Harry that is fabulous! I am so proud of you," she said pecking him on the cheek.

"Congratulations Harry. Your Mum and Dad would be proud," said Remus clapping him on the back.

"Thanks," said Harry turning to Ron and Hermione. "What about you guys? How'd you do?"

"Well, I got five OWLS. I got O's in DADA, Charms, and Care of Magical Creatures. Missed the O in Potions though," Ron said and then grinned. "At least I'm done with Snape."

"Oh Ronald! That is very good, much better then the last OWLS we got," Mrs. Weasley said shooting a significant look at the twins, who grinned unrepentantly back at her.

"Nice job Ronniekins," said Fred, using the nickname Ron hated.

"How bout you?" Harry asked turning to look at a pale and trembling Hermione.

"'Mione?" Ron asked concerned. When she didn't answer, he snatched the letter from her and scanned it. His mouth dropped. "Merlin!"

"What?" said Harry looking over Ron's shoulder. "Is that even possible?"

"What did she get?" Ginny asked, worried for her friend.

"Perfect O's. I got perfect O's," said Hermione her eyes wide. A smile suddenly lit up her face. Ginny squealed and hugged her.

"I am so proud of you children," Mrs Weasley beamed.

"Thanks Mum," said Ron, his ears red.

"Oh, nearly forgot. I have your school letters too," Remus suddenly remembered handing them out.

They opened thier letters, scanning the book lists. Harry saw Ginny grab something and hurriedly stick it in her pocket. Unfortunately for her, the twins saw it too.

"Say it isn't so Ginny," George said, placing his hand dramatically over his heart.

"I really thought that we had raised you better than that. I can't believe you did this to us," Fred added.

"What are you two going on about?" Mrs Weasley demanded in confusion, hands on her hips.

"Our little Ginny has gravely disappointed us and been made prefect," said George accusingly.

Ginny colored brightly as a thrilled Mrs. Weasley hugged her.

"Oh Ginevra! I am so proud of you! Wait until I tell your father. This has been a banner day for the family. Now what do you want Ginny? Percy got an owl and Ron got a broom. What would you like?"

"Well, I can always borow Pig from Ron. I'd really like a new broom Mum," said Ginny. "Can I come with you to pick it out?"

Mrs. Weasley seemed to think about it for a minute. "What do you think Remus? Is it safe?"

"Well, if Moody and Tonks are able to come with us, I think that we'll be ok," said Remus smiling.

Jubilant cries rose from the four at the table, as Remus went in search of Tonks and Moody. As it turned out, they were both available. Once everyone was ready, they flooed to the Leaky Cauldron and were soon stepping out into Diagon Alley.

"So where to first?" Remus asked.

"I'd like to see Fred and George's shop," said Harry.

"Yeah. Great idea mate. There's a few things I'd like to pick up," Ron agreed.

Hermione glared at him. "Ron, you're a prefect. You are supposed to be setting a good example."

"I suppose your right 'Mione," said Ron glumly.

"Still," said Hermione. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look."

"Weasley's Wizard Wheezes it is then," said Tonks cheerfully leading the way.

They entered the brightly lit shop to find it filled with Hogwart's students. Harry recognized Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas. He also saw Padma and Parvati Patil acroos the store talking with some Ravenclaw girls.

"Hi guys," said Seamus. "How's your summer been?"

"It's been ok Seamus," Harry answered. "Hi Dean."

"Harry," said Dean shortly, shooting Harry and Ginny an odd look. Harry was puzzled until he remembered that Dean and Ginny had dated briefly at the beginning of summer. She had broken it off with him though, when she and Harry had started getting closer.

"So you two hear? Harry has been named quidditch captain," Ron said breaking the awkward silence. The boys discussed quidditch for a few minutes while Hermione, Ginny, and the adults went over to talk to the twins and Lee Jordan. They had just started speculating over who Slytherin's new captain would be when the Patil twins walked over.

"Wow! Harry, Ron you two have certainly umm... grown over the summer," said Parvati a predatory gleam in her eyes.

"Uhhh..." Ron said his ears going red. Luckliy he was saved by the arrival of Ginny and Hermione.

"Yes. They have," said Hermione grabbing Ron's hand possesively and glaring at Parvati.

"You two finally going out then?" Padma asked. At Hermione's nod, she murmured, "Pity."

"So Harry, how are you doing?" Parvati asked laying a hand on his arm. "Did I just hear that you've been named quidditch captain?"

"Yes. You did," Ginny said in a deceptively sweet voice, her eyes shooting daggers at the other girl. "Are you ready to help me pick out my broom now Harry?"

"Yes love," Harry said trying to stifle his laughter as he put his arm around Ginny and ushered her out of the store before she did any damage to Parvati. Ron, Hermione, and the adults followed.

"Those two I swear," Ginny fumed.

"I know," Hermione agreed. "How do you thinkI feel? I have to share a room with Parvati."

"They did rather look like they thought Ron and Harry were food waiting to be devoured," Tonks said giggling.

Ron and Harry couldn't help it. They began laughing.

"What?" Ginny and Hermione snapped.

"Nothing. It's just, I almost felt sorry for Padma and Parvati in there. Remind me never to mess with you two," said Harry.

"I could've told you that mate. The twins didn't stand a chance against our girls," said Ron proudly, causing both girls to blush.

They continued on through Diagon Alley. After a brief stop at Gringott's, they made their way to Flourish and Blott's and picked up their books. Ginny, Ron, Mrs. Weasley, and Moody practically had to drag Hermione from the book store so that they could go replenish their potions supplies. Harry, Remus, and Tonks meanwhile went to Madam Malkin's as none of Harry's school robes would even come close to fitting him.

After Harry and Tonks convinced Remus to buy some new robes for himself, they met the others in Quality Quidditch supplies. Much to Ginny's delight, a new line of Nimbus brooms was coming out, so the price of the Nimbus 2000 had been reduced enough for Ginny to get one. Harry insisted on buying her a broom care kit, despite her protestations that it was too expensive.

As they stepped from the dim store interior into the bright light of Diagon Alley, Harry heard it. A series of pops sounded as black robed figures apparated into the busy street. Chaos reigned almost instantly as people began running and screaming in terror.

"Mrs. Weasley, take Ron, Hermione, and Ginny back into the store. Get them back to headquarters," Harry barked his eyes flashing. The laughing boy from earlier in the day was gone now. Harry the warrior had taken his place.

"You should go too Harry," Remus said.

"Look, we don't have time to argue this. I'm not going. I have to help protect these people. Mrs Weasley I said go!" Harry shouted at a shocked Molly Weasley.

"But..." Ginny protested.

"I'll be fine. This is literally the reason I was born... to fight them. Standing here arguing is just going to get everyone killed. " Mrs. Weasley finally turned and ushered Harry's three protesting friends back into the store.

"Let's go," said Harry, wand drawn. He, Remus, Moody, and Tonks turned to face the group of death eaters bearing down on them.

Tonks quickly stunned and disarmed the first death eater, and then began shooting hexes at a second. Moody had a third pinned down behind some barrels in front of the apothocary. Jets of red light shot back and forth across the street between the two. Remus, meanwhile, had performed a reductor curse which had knocked the death eater he was fighting through a nearby store window. Another was advancing on him however. Harry was doing his best to hold off the three death eaters who were trying to hex him.

"Harry!" Remus hollered, trying to put away the death eater he was fighting and come to Harry's aid. Tonks and Moody, similarly occupied were also trying to make their way to Harry.

"Stupefy!" came twin shouts from further down the street, as Fred and George joined in the fray. Harry saw Fred pull something from his pocket and toss into the group of death eaters. There was a loud explosion, and the remaining death eaters were down.

"Nice! It worked," George cheered happily.

"What exactly was that?" Moody asked, impressed.

"Just a little something we've been developing to help in the war effort," Fred said.

"We call them dark bombs. Perfectly harmless unless you have the dark mark. We... um... tested them on Snape," said a grinning George.

Harry saw a dark cloaked figure moving out of the corner of his eye. The death eater had been out of the bomb's range and was tryng to sneak between two stores. Harry saw the unmistakable glint of silver where one of his hands should have been.

"Pettigrew," Harry snarled and ran after him, Lupin following close behind.

"Antianimaga!" Harry shouted. A bright blue beam of light hit Peter in the back, binding him from transforming. Harry had made sure to learn that spell after third year, and had been waiting to use it ever since. They had Pettigrew trapped now.

"Hello Peter," said Remus.

"Moony... my old friend," Peter said. "And Harry, you look more like James everytime I see you."

"Shut up Pettigrew. You have no right to call him Moony and you profane my dad's name by speaking it. I should've let Sirius kill you back in third year," Harry spat.

"No Harry. Your dad would not have wanted that. He would not have wanted the Marauder's killing each other," Peter stuttered, nervous now.

"You were no more a Marauder then Snivellus. You gave up any claim to that when you betrayed Lily and James. Thanks to you I am the last of the Marauders. You destroyed what was once an invincible friendship," Remus snarled, looking very much like the wolf he sometimes was.

"Then perhaps I should finish the job," said Peter launching himself at Lupin and raking his silver hand across the werewolf's face. Remus cried out in agony as the silver burnt into his skin.

"Stupefy!" Harry shouted, catching Peter in the side, as Tonks and Moody ran into the alley.

"Remmy!" Tonks shouted sinking to the ground beside Lupin.

"I'm ok 'Dora. Thanks to Harry. It burns like hell though," said Lupin as Tonks ran her fingers lightly over the deep gouges on his face. "You need to get Pettigrew back to the Ministry before the binding spell Harry put on him wears off. We can finally clear Sirius' name."

"Right," said Tonks, all business now, despite the blush which stained her cheeks. She and Moody quickly grabbed Peter and dragged him out to where aurors were transporting the other death eaters.

"So, we should probably get you to St. Mungo's to get those scratches healed," said Harry.

"No, Harry. They'll be fine. I'll get Dumbledore to have Madame Pomfrey tend to them," said Remus.

"Whatever you say... Remmy," said Harry grinning as they walked back out into Diagon Alley to return home.

A/N: Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed this one. Please review.
Midnight Marauding by Weasley Mom
***I would like Danielle to please be the moderator for this chapter. ***

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling


The day after the altercation in Diagon Alley, a very excited Hermione, Ron, and Ginny burst into Harry's room of requirement where he was having his weekly session with Dumbledore and Lupin.

"Harry! You are never going to believe this mate!" said Ron waving a copy of the Daily Prophet around.

"Believe what?" said a slightly annoyed Harry. He had been deep into the occlumency and his friends' sudden entrance had snapped his concentration, leaving him with a slight headache.

"Look at this... They have the whole story of the battle in Diagon Alley, Pettigrew's capture, and how HE betrayed your Mum and Dad. They're calling for Sirius' name to be cleared. They also want the Ministry to award him a posthumous Order of Merlin for his 'many sacrifices in the fight against He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named'," said Hermione.

"They also make Fudge look REALLY bad. Apparently someone told them that Fudge knew three years ago that Sirius was innocent and ignored the evidence and you," said Ginny grinning.

"Someone?" said Remus raising an eyebrow. Hermione blushed.

"I might have mentioned it to an aquaintance of mine. She just sort of ran with it," Hermione murmured.

"Professor, do you think this means that Sirus will be cleared?" Harry asked Dumbledore.

"One never knows with Cornelius Fudge Harry. It certainly seems to be a possibility however," Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling.

It was not until two days later, however, that Harry and the members of the Order received the news that they had been waiting for. Cornelius Fudge, under intense public pressure, had resigned. Upon being sworn in, the very first act the new acting Minister of Magic, Amelia Bones, had done was to clear Sirius of all charges and issue a formal apology from the Ministry. Moreover, she awarded him a posthumous Order of Merlin, First Class. Harry privately felt that it was too little, too late, but at least Sirius would be remembered as the man he truly was, and not the criminal he had been perceived as for so long.

The Daily Prophet, of course, had a field day with the story. On the front page, was a large picture of James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter from school. While the article painted a truly wonderful picture of Sirius and the friendship he and James had shared, it also contained interviews with anyone who could claim even a remote connection with Sirius. All of them claimed to have never once doubted Sirius' innocence, much to the annoyance of his real friends, not one of whom would grant the Prophet an interview.

"Oh please! Samantha Edgecomb was never Padfoot's girlfriend. Although, I think he did snog her once or twice in the third floor broom closet," Remus said almost to himself as he scanned the paper. He was frowning, his eyes flashed in anger.

"Remus?" Harry said tentatively. Lupin jumped, he had not realized that Harry was standing there. "Are you... ok?"

Lupin sighed. "I will be. I just need to quit reading this rag. They did not interview one person who really knew him. They did seem to get every single girl in his fan club though."

"Fan club?" Harry asked puzzled.

Remus grinned. "Your dad and Sirius were quite popular in school Harry. There was always horde of giggling girls following them around. Your dad mostly ignored them. He only really ever had eyes for Lily. Sirius, on the other hand, seemed to feel that it was his solemn duty to...err... spend some quality time with each one of them. James and I used to tease him about it. We called them his fan club."

Harry laughed. He could quite easily picture the Sirius he had seen in the pensieve surrounded by his "adoring fans".

"Harry, thank you," said Remus. "I was sitting here getting angry and feeling bitter about, well, a number of things. I needed to be reminded of how Sirius would have felt about it. He and James are probably laughing their arses off about the whole thing, wherever they are."

Mrs. Weasley bustled into the room just then, so Harry was unable to do more than nod and smile in acknowledgement.

The rest of the day passed in a fairly uneventful fashion. Hary had played some chess with Ron and, taking a page from his godfather, had spent some 'quality time' wth Ginny, whom he was rapidly coming to care for more than he had ever thought possible. He and the others retired fairly early that night, as Mrs. Weasley had mentioned cleaning out the attic the next day.

Harry was awoken in the middle of the night by someone shaking him gently.

"Ron! Get off! Are you crazy it's still dark outside," he said groggily.

"Of course, it's the middle of the night. That is the best time to do one's Marauding."

Harry's eyes snapped open. "Remus? What's going on?"

"Help me get Ron up. All will be explained shortly," Remus said. They then woke up a cranky Ron, who, it seemed, was even less excited then Harry about being awoken in the middle of the night.

"I think he's gone mental," Ron whispered to Harry a short while later as the crept quietly down the hallway in Lupin's wake. They stopped in front of the room Sirius had been staying in before his death.

"Remus, what are we doing here? What is going on?" Harry asked again. Remus just smiled mysteriously and ushered them in. A small table had been set up in the middle of the room. Directly on it's center stood a scarred and singed looking wooden case. A bracket of candles on a nearby dresser provided a dim flickering light.

Harry turned to Remus a puzzled frown on his face. "What are we doing Remus? What is all of this?"

"Well," said Lupin, unsure quite how to begin. "As you know, James, Sirius, the rat, and I formed the Marauders back in school. It was our secret founded, in many ways, to protect MY secret. For us, it was about more than just frendship, it was about brotherhood. They were my family. I am the last one left now. I've brought you here now because it is time for you to follow in your father's footsteps Harry, to join the family as it were. It's time for you to receive the heritage James meant for you to have. It is time for you to become a Marauder."

Harry's eyes widened in shock. He wasn't sure what he had expected, but he knew it wasn't this. He saw Ron shift uncomfortably beside him.

"Well that explains what Harry is doing here. What I am doing here though? My dad was never a Marauder," said Ron.

Lupin smiled. "No Ron you're right. Your father was not a Marauder. Sirius was however. This was actually his idea. We had discussed it before he died. He had wanted to do this on Harry's next birthday but... Anyway, I think he saw you and Harry's relationship much like his and James'. Sirius knew that Harry thought of you as a brother, so we both felt it appropriate for you to become a Marauder as well."

Ron blushed his trademark Weasley red and then looked up. "He really thought that? He really thought I was good enough to be a Marauder?"

Lupin nodded. A rather pleased smile spread across Ron's face then and he seemed to stand a little taller.

"Now then," said Lupin walking over to the table and opening the box. "I took this from the ruins of the house in Godric's Hollow. In it are kept the most secret of our treasures. I don't believe that even Lily knew it's contents." That said, Remus removed four golden chalices from the box. One bore the image of a wolf, another a huge dog, another a magnificent stag, and the last a rat. He also removed a scroll of parchment, and a bottle. He then closed his eyes, inhaled deeply, and began to mumble an incantation which neither Harry nor Ron could quite discern. It soon became apparent, however, that whatever Remus was doing it took a great deal of magic.

The air around Lupin seemed to wave and shimmer like ripples upon water, he sank to his knees, his face pale, his eyes blazing. As he finished the spell, Harry saw the shimmer on either side of Lupin begin to coalesce. Two distinct outlines began to form. Harry's eyes widened in shock.

"Bloody hell!" gasped Ron. There on either side of Lupin stood the opalescent forms of James Potter and Sirius Black.

"You actually did it Moony! " Sirius beamed enthusiatically.

"Thank you Moony. You have no idea..." James said hugging his friend.

"A promise is a promise Prongs. Padfoot and I swore we'd do whatever it took to get you here for this. Little did I know I'd have to do it myself and get both of you here."

"Dad? Sirius? Are you... alive?" said Harry pale and trembling.

James turned to his son, smiling sadly. "No Harry. I'm afraid not. In fact, we're not even technically here. Moony just allowed for our spirits to manifest. I don't know how long before this wears off, but I had to be here. I've had to stand by and watch so much of your life unfold and not be able to be there for you. I couldn't miss this too."

Harry's eyes filled with tears. He reached out his hand and before he knew it was wrapped in his father's embrace for the first time that he could remember.

"Prongs, Harry," said Sirius gently. "We don't know how much time we have."

"Right," said James breaking away from his son. "Before we start I have a message from your Mum. She says to tell you how very proud she is of you and how much she loves you. She also wanted me to let you know that she, both of us actually, quite approve of young Miss Weasley. I also have a message for you Ron."

"Me, Mr. Potter?" stuttered Ron awkwardly.

"Yes you," James grinned. "She said to tell you thank you for being Harry's friend and for allowing him to share your family. She also wants you to tell your mum that she could not have picked a better person to fill in for her than Molly. Thank you. "

"Now that that is taken care of," said James. "On to the reason we are here. Mr. Padfoot?"

"Ahem," Sirius began. "The oath of a Marauder is a sacred thing. It is bond of brotherhood, loyalty, and trust. If you take the vow your are bound to it. If you break it, your life is forfeit. Those who remain true will hunt you down, no matter the cost to themselves. Do you agree to take the oath?"

Harry and Ron exchanged a look, both of them remembering just how high a price Sirius had payed to fufill his oath. Nevertheless, both boys nodded determinedly and said, "We do."

James now took over. "Boys, please repeat after me."

I, as a Marauder, pledge my loyalty to these my brothers.

I shall stand by them, fight by them, keep their secrets for them, and, if necessary die for them.

I shall do my best to uphold what is right and stand for the cause that is just.

I shall wreak havoc upon those who oppose us in this endeavor and create mischief wherever I go.

I pledge this as my solemn vow...

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."


James paused between each line to allow Ron and Harry to repeat what he said. When they were done, he nodded to Moony who presented the boys wth a quill.

"Sign here," said Remus unrolling the parchment and showing them where four other signatures had been scrawled long ago. He then took the bottle and uncorked it pouring a little of whatever it contained into three of the four goblets. He then handed Harry the stag goblet and Ron the dog one.

"Each of these chalices were made by me to toast the foundation of the Marauders. Since then, it became our tradition to use them to celebrate any significant event in our lives," said James.

"We toasted the day Prongsie finally wore down Lils and she agreed to go out with him He only had to ask 378 times. We counted," said Sirius confidentially.

"We also toasted the day Padfoot got VERY friendly with Marilyn Podmore in the prefect's bath," said a grinning James.

"And let's not forget our thousandth detention," said Sirius, his eyes twinkling.

"We also celebrated James and Lily's wedding and your birth and christening Harry," added Remus.

"Anyway," said James. "Padfoot and I now pass ours on to you."

"Umm.." said Ron, who had been unusually quiet. "Don't we get nicknames or something I mean... Moony, Padfoot, Prongs... Ron and Harry. It just doesn't sound right."

Sirius laughed his familiar bark-like laugh. "Patience Ron. Our names are based on our animagus forms. We can't give you two names until we know what your forms will be."

"But, we're not animagus Sirius," Harry reminded him.

James and Sirius just exchanghed a look and smiled knowingly.

"What?" said Harry.

"Sorry son, we cannot reveal that. Just trust us. The appropriate name will come to you. Now drink up," said James.

Harry took a cautious sip and felt his throat burn and his eyes water. "What is this stuff?" he said coughing, noticing Ron was doing the same.

"Firewhisky," said Sirius. "Jamsie and I knicked it from your grandad's personal store the summer between our fifth and sixth year. We charmed the bottle so it would never empty."

Harry noticed then that his father and Sirius seemed to be getting fainter. "Dad!" he said, not ready to let go yet.

"I know son. I'm sorry we can't stay, but know we are always with you, watching. When the time comes for you to face Voldemort, we'll be there fighting beside you." He hugged Harry one last time, as did Sirius, tears in all of their eyes. Padfoot and Prongs then faded once more from the mortal realm.

Harry fought back tears. He refused to think of them as gone, they were there. They were watching. Harry felt Ron's hand on his shoulder, offering silent comfort.

"Harry," said Remus. "There is one last thing that we need to do, if you are up to it."

"What is it Moony?" said Harry. Remus looked startled at Harry's use of that name for a moment, and then smiled.

"We, my young Marauders, need to deal with the traitor," Moony said picking up the chalice with the image of the rat and sitting it in the middle of the floor.

"I've put wards around this room so that the Ministry didn't detect the spell I did to get James and Sirius here, so you should be ok to help with this Ron. Reducto on three... ready? One... two... three."

"Reducto," the three Marauders cried simultaneously, as the chalice was blasted into dust.

Somewhere in the bowels of the Ministry, a rat faced little man awoke in his cell screaming, shaking, and feeling as if some vital part of himself had been stripped away in the night.

A/N: Sorry this chapter took so long guys. It's been a busy, busy week. Hope you enjoyed it. Please read and review.
Remus Revealed by Weasley Mom
****If possible, could Danielle please be the moderator for this chapter. Thank you.****

A/N: All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.

Harry lay awake going through the nights events in his head long after Ron had begun to snore. He'd actually met his dad, had a real conversation with him. As great as his joy at this was, the thing that his mind kept coming back to was why no one had ever bothered to tell him that this was possible. There had certainly been more significant reasons for Harry to see and talk to his parents. Why had no one bothered to bring them back before?

Harry sighed and rolled over. He was getting nowhere with this. He realized that the only one likely to give him the answers he needed was Moony. Unfortunately, that would have to wait until morning. Harry vowed to ask the senior Marauder for a moment of his time over breakfast.

Harry smiled, happy despite his worrisome thoughts. He was a Marauder, like his dad before him. Harry thought back to all of the stories he'd heard from Remus and Sirius about their school days and the pranks they had played with his dad. It was with these happy thoughts in his head, that Harry was finally able to drift off to sleep.

Harry and Ron strolled into breakfast later than normal the next moring, looking sleepy and even more tousle-haired than usual.

"There you boys are. I was starting to think I was going to have to come wake you," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Morning Mum," Ron yawned as he helped himself to some toast and bacon.

"Where is everyone this moring Mrs. Weasley?" Harry asked, thinking the kitchen's emptiness odd. They weren't that late for breakfast after all.

"Well, the twins are having a big back to school sale so they went in early. They took Ginny with them to help. I believe Hermione is in the library going through her books again, and Remus has not come down yet. Tonks went to check on him I think," said Mrs. Weasley.

Harry frowned. It was not like Remus to sleep in like this, except after the full moon. Usually he was the first one up in the morning. He had told Harry once that he enjoyed the quiet time around dawn. Remus rarely missed it. Then again, they had been up late the night before. Harry quickly finished his meal, his thoughts still on his guardian.

"I think I'm going to check on Remus. You coming Ron?" Harry asked when he was done.

"Ummm... I was thinking I might go see if Hermione needs any help in the library," Ron mumbled, his ears going red. Harry grinned. Ron and Hermione had been diligently "going through books" all sumer. Harry privately suspected that most of Ron's enthusiasm for the job stemmed from the fact that they'd spent very little time actually going through books.

"Allright then, I'll see you later," said Harry and headed for Lupin's room. As he approached it, however, he heard raised voices.

"Dammit Remmy, I know there is something going on here! You didn't come to bed until almost 1:30 last night. You slept clear through breakfast, despite my best efforts to wake you, and frankly, you look like hell. Now what is going on?" said a voice Harry recognized immediately as Nymphadora Tonks.

"'Dora calm down. I'm ok, really. I'm just very tired. I was up late last night talking to Harry, and tonights the full moon so yes, I'm sure I do look like hell. I'll probably look even worse tomorrow," said Remus a hint of exasperation in his normally calm voice.

"Nice try. I've seen you before and after the full moon. There is something else going on here. I know it. What is it?" Tonks shouted angrily. She was met with silence.

Harry had just decided that perhaps, as interesting as the conversation was proving to be, he should probably leave when Tonks came storming out of the bedroom. Her hair was black today and her eyes a silvery grey. Harry had never realized how much she resembled Sirius before, although he supposed it made sense as they were cousins.

"Morning Harry. Here to see Remus?" Tonks said doing her best not to snap at Harry.

"Yeah. I was worried when he didn't come down to breakfast," Harry said somewhat nervously. Tonks in a temper was a sight to behold.

"Well good luck. He's a stubborn, pigheaded, git of a man, but maybe he'll tell you what is wrong. He's obviously not well, but will he admit it? No, of course not. Sometimes I wonder why I bother," she said crossing her arms over her chest in a huff.

"Uhhh... " said Harry having no idea what he should say to that and feeling truly uncomfortable now. Tonks seemed to sense this and soften a bit.

"I'm sorry Harry. It's not your fault. I shouldn't be dragging you into this. It's just that... well I really care about him and it's so frustrating when he shuts down like this."

"It's ok Tonks, really. Look, I'll talk to him and see if I can find out what's wrong," said Harry, trying to comfort her.

Tonks smiled then. "Thanks Harry. Will you tell him I'll see him after work? I'm probably late as it is." Harry nodded and Tonks headed down the hall. Harry raised his hand and knocked quietly on the door.

"Dammit Dora! I told you I'm fi-" began Lupin as he yanked open the door. "Oh... Harry. I wasn't expecting you."

"Obviously," said Harry grinning. "Tonks asked me to let you know she'd see you afer work."

"Right," said Remus blushing slightly now. Looking at him, Harry realized that Tonks was right. Remus Lupin looked like hell. He was deathly pale and dark smudges of shadow were prominent under his red rimmed eyes. Harry swore that his hair even looked greyer than it had the day before.

"I actually had some things I wanted to talk to you about too Moony, but, well, Tonks is right. You look awful," said Harry.

"Gee... thanks," said Lupin dryly. "C'mon in Harry. I'm too keyed up to sleep right now anyway."

Lupin opened the door wider and Harry stepped in. Harry had never been in Remus' room before. It was he reflected, very like the man, slightly shabby but infinately welcoming. Dark, chocolate colored blankets were rumpled on the large bed. A thick rug, that looked like it might have been slightly chewed on, lay before the cheerful fire in the stone fireplace. Books were placed in neat stacks around the room. The empty grindelow tank, which Harry recognized from third year, stood in one corner, and an antique muggle phonograph sat on a low table next to the bed. Two comfortable looking chairs sat on either side of the rug, facing the fire. Lupin sat in one and motioned for Harry to take the other.

"Now... You wanted to talk to me?" Lupin asked.

Harry looked down and composed his thoughts. "I wanted to talk to you about last night, about my dad and Sirius."

Lupin smiled sadly. "I wondered how long it would take. Frankly, I was suprised you didn't demand an explanation then."

"Well, it is a little shocking when your dead father and godfather just pop in to say Hi," said Harry, a small grin playing about the corner of his mouth.

"Yes. I suppose it would be at that."

"Moony, how come no one ever did that before? If this was possible, why haven't I been able to see them before now?" said Harry.

Lupin sighed. "There are several reasons actually Harry. First of all, what I did is not, strictly speaking legal. Honestly though, I don't think that would stop many of those who care about you from doing that spell."

"Ok, if it's not that, what then?" Harry asked.

"That spell is very old magic. James, Sirius, and I found it back during the first war, about the time your parents went into hiding actually. As with most of the old magics, it is extemely powerful. Unfortunately it can have some very nasty side effects," Lupin murmured.

"Side effects?" Harry asked, alarmed now.

Remus nodded. "Yes Harry. If the spirit the caster is attempting to bring back is unwilling, there's a chance that the caster could die. I knew James and Sirius were willing though, so I wasn't concerned about that. No, the danger for me was a different one."

Harry looked very worriedly at his guardian. "Does this have anything to do with why you look so horrible today?"

"I'm afraid so. In order to give your dad and Sirius' spirits form, I had to contribute a little of my own life force. That's why I'm so exhausted today. I aged literally five or ten years in one night."

"What!" Harry yelled. "Moony what the hell wer you thinking?"

"I had promised your dad Harry. Sirius and I both had actually," Lupin said.

"Promised him what? That you'd practically kill yourself to bring them back?"

"No Harry. That we'd mak sure, no matter what it took, Prongs got to see you become a Marauder," Lupin said quietly.

"Didn't he realize what he was asking of you?" Harry raged.

"Harry, you have to understand. You and Lily were the center of James' world. There was so much that he wanted to show you, so many things he wanted to be there for. Just before you all went into hiding, he met with Sirius and I. It was like he knew he was not going to live to do all that he wanted to with you. He was desperate almost. This was the one thing he couldn't miss. James had to share this one moment with you. We told him he was being stupid, he was going to be fine. He was James Potter after all. He was practically invincible. In the end though, we couldn't refuse him. It was the last time I saw him alive Harry." Tears trickled slowly down Remus' face.

"When I finally met you again, Sirius had just escaped, and I thought it best to wait until he was recaptured. Once I found out Sirius was innocent, we discussed it. We decided to initiate you as soon as Peter was captured and Sirius was free. We thought it would be a celebration of sorts. When Sirius died, I knew it was up to me, only now, I would bring them both back. I knew it was dangerous, stupid, and illegal. I didn't care. I'd made a promise to my brothers, and after all they had gone through for me, I was not lettig them down."

Harry looked at Remus then, seeing not his worn features and greying hair, but the man his dad had called brother. Tears filled Harry's eyes, but he held them back. He was so tired of the tears. He was determined to find some hapiness, and if anyone deserved it, it was Moony.

"Thank you Moony," said Harry, "from my dad, Sirius, and me."

Lupin smiled tiredly. His eyes strayed toward the bed, where the toe of one of Tonks' shoes was peeping out.

"You know," said Harry noticing the shoe. "Tonks really cares about you. She was so worried this morning that she was yelling. I've never heard her yell before."

Lupin smiled again. "She was a little worked up wasn't she? I don't know what the hell I'm going to do about her. She's entirely too young, exciting and beautiful for a worn out, stubborn, old wolf like me. Yet..." He trailed off, a faraway expression on his face that semed to almost strip away the years.

"Do you love her Moony?" Harry asked.

Remus blinked, shocked. "Well I... Merlin. I think I do. I must be crazy to even be thinking about this."

"Remus, let yourself be happy. If you love her, tell her. Love is about the only certain thing in the world right now," Harry said with quiet conviction.

"How did you get so smart all of sudden?" Moony asked.

"Dunno, must've inherited it from my dad and his brothers," Harry grinned.

"Oh ho! Now that you inherited from Sirius. He was always the one to get us out of trouble with lines like that," Lupin said. "He could even work McGonnagall. It was amazing."

Harry laughed. He personally had a hard time seeing anyone getting over on McGonnagall.

"Remmy have you seen my... Oh Harry I um... didn't think you'd still be here and ... I uh...lost my shoes," said a blushing and barefoot Tonks, who had just burst into the room. Harry grinned widely, which caused Tonks to look even more flustered.

"They're under the bed," he said pointing. Tonks blushed even more. Harry was beginning to wonder if she was related to the Weasleys.

Remus chuckled. "It's ok love. Young Mr. Potter here has found us out. He is entirely too smart for his own good, and I'm beginning to think that he is channeling James' and Sirius."

"Oh," said Tonks nervously. "Harry, I...we..."

Harry grinned. "It's ok Tonks. I approve. I think I'm just going to go find Ron and Hermione now. They're probably still 'looking through books'."

Harry started to head out of the room. Turning around just before leaving he silently mouthed "Tell her you love her!" behind Tonks' back. Lupin sent him an amused look and shoo'd him out the door. Harry grinned as he went in search of Ron and Hermione. He was sure, wherever his dad and Sirius were, they were quite pleased with the days events.


This one was for all of you who told me how much you enjoyed Lupin and Tonks. Hope yu liked it. Please review.
Training and Ginny by Weasley Mom
A/N: All the characters contained herein belong soley to Ms. Rowling.

Harry was still smiling to himself when he entered the library a short time later to the sight of Ron and Hermione sorting books.

"Ronald Billius Weasley! What exactly are you doing?" Harry asked in his best Mrs. Weasley voice. Ron and Hermione sprang apart with looks of panic upon their faces, only to see a grinning Harry.

"Bloody hell mate! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" said Ron.

"That wasn't funny Harry," said Hermione in her most prim prefect voice, which was very much at odds with her highly mussed appearance. Harry couldn't help it, he laughed. Hermione glared at him and, seizing a nearby book, threw it at him. Much to Ron's delight, the book struck Harry squarely in the head.

"Nice aim love. Ever thought of trying out for chaser?" Ron grinned.

"Ow! Hermione, I've already got one scar on my head. I really do not need another," Harry said wincing.

Hermione was immediately contrite. "I'm sorry Harry, but really that was not nice at all. I didn't damage the book did I?"

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking," Harry said rubbing his head. He bent down to pick up the book, when its title caught his eye, Bringing Out the Animal in You: The Animagus Handbook by Professor James Peresi.

"Hermione, do you care if I borrow this book?" Harry asked trying to sound casual.

"Of course not Harry. Which one is it?" Hermione asked.

"Oh ummm... it's about transfiguration. I thought it might help me this year," Harry said slipping the book in his pocket before she saw exactly which transfiguration book it was. Harry was fairly certain she would not aprove.

Luckily for him, Hermione was once again being distracted by Ron. Harry grinned at his two best friends. This was, he supposed better than their constant fighting.

"Allright then," said Harry. "I'm just going to go find Malfoy and get him to teach me to tango."

"Ok mate," said Ron, gazing dreamily at Hermione.

"Have fun," Hermione murmured, looking up at Ron through her eyelashes.

Harry rolled his eyes and decided Mrs. Weasley had to be slipping a love potion into the food with all the romance he'd encountered this morning. He left the library and headed for his room. If he wasn't interrupted, he should have just enough time before his afternoon lessons to get a decent start on the book he had found.

Harry settled on his bed and began to read, bracing himself for what he was sure would be the typical boring text. Much to his suprise however, he quickly realized this was NOT your average instructional manual. The book certainly gave a very clear, precise explanation of how to become an animagus, happily though, it was interspersed with a wry sense of humor which made it a very easy read. Harry was quickly absorbed.

Before he knew it, Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley were knocking on his door and asking if he was ready for his daily lessons. Harry grinned. This was, without a doubt, his favorite part of the day. It was this training which allowed Harry to work out so much of his grief and anger, especially after a visit with Aunt Petunia. It also helped him to feel like he was doing something, and not just waiting around for Voldemort to make his next move.

These lessons always seemed to go very quickly for Harry, and today was no exception. Before he knew it, the afternoon had passed by. Today they were working on various battle scenarios where Harry would be outnumbered and alone. Harry had just executed a brilliant sweepkick on Tonks, knocking her down and taking her wand. Almost simultaneously, he cast the impediment jinx on Kingsley, sending him to the ground as well. He quickly sprang to his feet, wand held low, when he heard applause from the doorway.

"That was brilliant Harry," said Ginny enthusiastically.

"Thanks Gin," said Harry smiling and turning towards her. In his distraction, Harry had forgotten about Moody.

"Impedimenta!" Moody growled. Harry dove to the floor just in time. Rolling, he managed to cast his own spell which Moody easly blocked. Soon jinxes were flying through the air between the old auror and Harry at an alarming pace. Finally, after about twenty minutes of this, Harry managed to land a disarming spell, followed rapidly by an impediment jinx.

"Shame on you Ms. Weasley, distracting me like that," said Harry flush with victory. His chest was heaving from exertion, and he was covered in sweat, but he had thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Tossing a amused Tonks her wand, he walked over to Ginny and swept her into a deep dip. He then placed a light kiss on her lips.

"Urgh! You're all sweaty," said Ginny, her nose crinkling.

"Oh fine. Here I am, the knight in shining armor, fresh from the field of battle, and what does my lady fair say? Urgh you're all sweaty," Hary sighed dramatically as Ginny giggled.

"You can't afford to get distracted like that in battle Potter," Moody growled, once he had been freed of the impediment jinx by Tonks.

"Yes sir. It won't happen again," said Harry, being used to Moody's concerns by now.

"See that it doesn't. This is war boy. Distraction like that can cost people their lives," said the grizzled old auror. Harry heard Ginny's gasp at Moody's words and looked down at her. He was startled to see the very real fear and worry in her eyes.

"That's enough Professor," Harry snapped, his anger flaring as it hadn't in a long while. He could not stand to see Ginny like this. "I think I understand better than anyone here exactly what is at stake, it's my life after all. I've dealt with being in danger since I was born, and I know not to let myself lose concentration in real battle."

"I don't think you do understand Harry," Moody snapped back. "It's not just battle you need to worry about. Constant vigilence Potter. You, above all else, need to never let your guard down. You aren't safe anywhere. You could just as easily be attacked by someone you consider a friend as you could by a known enemy."

"It was a mistake Alastor. One we can trust Harry to never make again," Kingsley rumbled.

"He's right Moody. Harry learns from his mistakes," Tonks agreed. "C'mon. The Order meeting is starting early tonight because of the full moon. We should go." Tonks shot a significant look at Kingsley who ushered a glowering Moody out of the room.

"Sorry 'bout that Harry. He's the best at what he does, but the man is beyond paranoid. Try not to pay any attention to what he said Ginny. Harry is better than most aurors I know. He'll be fine," said Tonks before she too departed.

Harry nodded, only half listening, his attention focused on a stricken looking Ginny.

"Gin?" Harry asked gently. "Are you allright?"

Ginny mutely shook her head. Harry wrapped his arms around her. This time she made no protest about his sweaty condition.

"It's ok Ginny. Tonks is right. Moody is fanatical about constant vigilence. Don't let it worry you," said Harry soothingly as he gently rubbed her back.

"Don't let it worry me? How am I supposed to do that Harry? You can't afford distractions and look what I just did," said Ginny.

"It was just practice. It wasn't real, so I allowed myself to be distracted. I wouldn't do that when it was serious. Why do you think the first thing I did in Diagon Alley was to get you, Ron, and Hermione out? It was just as much for me as it was for you," Harry said.

"Harry, I don't think I could take it if something happened to you. I love you," she almost whispered.

"You what?" Harry said pulling back. He knew how he felt about Ginny, but they had never actually said the words.

"I love you Harry Potter," she said blushing. "I understand if you don't feel the same, but I had to make sure you knew. When Moody was saying all that about you... dying, all I could think was that I'd never told you. I've loved you forever Harry."

Harry's smile lit up his whole face. "I love you too Ginevra Weasley, and I always will. I don't know when I started, but all that matters now is you," Harry said tenderly.

Ginny let out a tiny gasp. She'd never allowed herself to hope that she'd hear those words from Harry, and yet, she just had. Without either of them realizing it, the gap between them closed and Harry was gently and sweetly kissing her.

A quiet cough from the doorway broke them apart. A grinning Ron and misty-eyed Hermione were standing there.

"That was beautiful," said Hermione sniffling.

"You saw that?" said a now rosy cheeked Harry. He grimaced inwardly, wondering how Ron and Hermione always seemed to show up at times like these.

"Yeah mate. We did. Kind of made me glad I let you date my sister," said Ron.

"Let him date me? Like you could've stopped us Ron," said Ginny glaring playfully at her older brother. She was just too happy right now to be angry.

"Oh my gosh. I completely forgot the reason we came up here," said Hermione excitedly, lightly smacking herself in the forehead. "There's an Order meeting going on downstairs and Dumbledore asked us to have you join them Harry."

"They what? Why?" Harry asked startled. He'd been under the impression that he would be unable to join the Order until he was of age.

Ron shrugged. "They want you down there. We couldn't get them to tell us anymore than that."

"Then I guess I'd better go find out," said Harry. He quickly pecked Ginny on the lips and headed downstairs to meet with the Order.

A/N: Hope you liked that one. Thanks for reading, and please review.
Meetings and Moony by Weasley Mom
**** I would like Danielle to be the moderator for this chapter please.****

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Jo Rowing.

With some trepidation, Harry headed for the room where tonight's Order meeting was being held. He was met at the door by Dumbledore, a very pale, sickly Remus, and a still angry looking Moody.

"You wanted to see me Professor?" Harry asked, somewhat nervous sounding. He sincerely hoped that he was not going to get in trouble for yelling at Moody earlier.

"Yes Harry. How are you this evening?" Dumbledore inquired, his blue eyes twinkling over the tops of his half moon glasses.

"Umm...fine," said Harry. He looked at Remus, trying to catch his guardian's eyes in the hopes that he'd get some clue about what was happening.

"Harry, as I'm sure you are aware, the Order, as a rule does not allow anyone to join who is not both of age and out of school," said Dumbledore. At Harry's nod of confirmation, he continued. "Circumstances do change however, and your particular circumstances are very unique. You were put up for vote earlier tonight. We'd like to induct you into the Order, if you are willing.

Harry's initial inclination was to immediately accept. Had this been the beginning of the summer, he would have. He had changed quite a bit since leaving Privet Drive, though. He had grown, matured, and learned to control his emotions much more tightly. He forced himself to stop and ponder the implications of this sudden invitation. There was obviously something they weren't telling him.

"I'd be honored to join the Order Professor. First, however, I'd like to know what is really going on," said Harry. He saw Remus send Dumbledore an I told you so look. Harry smiled to himself. It was good to have someone on his side.

"I'm really not trying to keep anything from you Harry. I would just prefer to wait until after we have made you a member to tell you more," Dumbledore said quietly.

Harry's green eyes hardened slightly. "Professor, I believe we have had this discussion before. I do not like secrets. If I am going to join the Order, I should like to go into it fully and completely aware of what is going on."

Dumbledore looked at Harry for a few seconds, and finally nodded. "Very well Harry. We have received word that Voldemort has begun recruiting death eaters from amongst the students who will, shortly, be returning to Hogwarts."

Harry raised an eyebrow. This was hardly earth shattering news to him. He could probably compile a list of who Voldemort had recruited without even putting much thought into it. He said as much.

"No offense professor, but this is hardly suprising. Why does this suddenly change everything?"

"Use your head Potter," Moody growled. "We need to keep tabs on these new recruits. We can't exactly have aurors roaming the halls of Hogwarts."

"What about the teachers? There are several in the Order. Surely they could..." Harry began, only to be interrupted by Remus.

"Come now Harry. I think we both know that no one acts the same way towards their teachers as they do their friends. While the staff could pick up on radical changes in behavior, only a peer would pick up on the more subtle signs of corruption. "

Harry considered this and looked appraisingly at Dumbledore, Lupin, and Moody. Reaching a sudden decision, he nodded. "Allright professor. I will join. I assume we have a plan which somehow includes me?"

"Yes Harry. We do. We really should join the rest of the Order now. They're probably wondering what's happened to us," the headmaster said as he opened the door and lead the way in.

Harry looked around the room when he entered. This was apparently to be a full meeting of the Order. In addition to the innner circle, all of whom Harry was very familiar with, there were several other people Harry had only seen on a handful of occassions. Voldemort was, it seemed, not the only one recruiting new members either. Sitting near the back of the room, conversing with the twins, were Angelina Johnson, Lee Jordan, and Oliver Wood. They all waved at Harry, smiling.

Harry hurried to find a seat near Remus and Tonks. Despite his fame, or perhaps because of it, Harry was often uncomfortable with large groups of people. He hated the inevitable stares he receved. Right now he was the center of attention, so all eyes were on him. Thank goodness, Dumbledore began to speak.

"You will all please welcome Mr. Harry Potter to our little group," he began but was interrupted by the enthusiastic cheers of Fred and George.

"Hurrah for Harry! We're no longer the youngest!" When Mrs. Wealey had glared them into silence, Dumbledore continued.

"Now then, we have all heard the report Professor Snape made regarding Voldemorts newest recruits. Harry has also been brought up to speed. What we have not yet discussed though, is how we are going to deal with with this information beyond the induction of Mr. Potter."

"As many of you are aware, last year several students, lead by Harry, formed a defense against the dark arts group. Their purpose was to prepare themselves for their upcoming NEWT's and OWL's in light of the... less than competent teacher that they were forced to endure." Harry heard McGonnagall muttering something about "that foul evil little woman," under her breath.

"The D.A., as they called themsleves, was able to very ingeniously hide their meetings from both Dolores Umbridge and the rest of the staff. Additionally, they excelled. Hogwarts had the highest percentage of defense OWL's and NEWTS it has had since 1977," Dumbledore said with a glance at Lupin.

"You're now probably wondering what this has to do with the problem at hand. It is my proposal that Harry, under the suprvision of Remus and Nymphadora, continue with the D.A. The focus of the group will be slightly different, however. While the group will certainly continue their defense practicing, a hand picked group will do a little more than that. They will act as our eyes and ears at Hogwarts and report anything of note they discover to Harry. Harry will then relay any pertinent information to us at the next meeting or sooner, depending on the nature of the situation."

"Headmaster, surely you don't expect a handful of students to be trusted with something as important as this?" a very familiar voice sneered from behind Harry. Turning he saw the greasy haired, black clad form of Prof. Severus Snape. Harry's eyes hardened and it took all of his control not to snap at the potions' master.

"I think you'd be suprised at what exactly we can handle," Harry said quietly.

"Come now Mr. Potter. You very nearly got a group of your little D.A. friends killed last year with your arrogance, not to mention leading one of our members to his untimely demise. You expect us to willingly trust you with something lke this?" Snape hissed.

Before Harry could react, Moony was on his feet and had whirled, grabbing Snape by the robes. "I suggest Severus that you apologize to Harry. NOW, before I truly lose my temper."

Harry had never seen quiet, gentle Professor Lupin like this. His eyes flashed angrily and his lips were pulled back in an almost wolfish snarl. Tonks had her hand on Remus' arm, restraining him, but she too was glaring at the potions master. Looking around, Harry realized that most of the people were standing and looking as if they could cheerfully strangle Snape right now. Both Mr. Weasley and the twins were holding back a very angry Molly Weasley. Harry decided he needed to do something to diffuse the situation.

"Remus, everyone, please sit down. What he said was true. I did lead some of my frends to the Ministry. I thought someone I cared about was in great danger, but it was all a lie. Death Eaters were there waiting on us, and when members of the Order came, one of them, my godfather, was killed. It was a horrible mistake which I have regretted everyday since. I have learned from that mistake though. I am no longer the child I was then. I know I can do this, if I'm given a second chance," Harry said in a strong calm voice.

"Why Potter? Why should we give you another chance?" Snape sneered.

Harry smiled coldly at the professor. "I've always thought everyone deserves a second chance. Don't you?" Harry asked glancing meaningfully a Snape's forearm, which they both knew bore the mark of a death eater.

"That's enough!" said Dumbledore, his eyes flashing dangerously. "Professor Snape, that was uncalled for. I expected better of you. If no one has any further objections, we are done for the evening."

As no one spoke up, people began to disperse quietly talking about the coming war. Harry looked over to see a pale and unsteady Remus rising to his feet.

"Moony? You allright?" Harry asked moving to help Tonks support Remus.

Lupin smiled weakly, "I'm fine Harry, its just that the moon must be starting to rise. I should probably head down to the cellar now."

"C'mon love. Harry and I will help you down," said Tonks as she slipped herself under Lupin's arm so that she could inconspisciously assist him.

Harry followed the duo to the kitchen, where the cellar door was located. On the way there, Ron came beathlessly up to them.

"There you are, I've been looking all over for you," he said. " I...umm... sort of thought that Harry and I would walk you down Moony. Oh and Mione told me to make sure you got this." Ron handed Lupin a vial of a foul smelling, steaming potion. Harry grimaced as Lupin swallowed the entire contents of the noxious brew.

Remus smiled. "You know, you all don't have to do this. I've been through this a few times before."

"We know. We just want to make sure that you know we're here if you need us. You're not alone Moony," Harry said quietly. Ron nodded in agreement.

"Thank you boys. Padfoot and Prongs chose very well," the sweaty and pale Marauder murmured.

They had arrived at the door to the cellar now. Remus took a key from an inside pocket of his robe. He quickly unlocked the door, and handed Tonks the key. He briefly, but fiercly hugged the two boys, and gently kissed Tonks. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and then, turned and smiled sadly at them before entering the room and closing the door behind him.

Tonk quietly reached out and locked the door. Harry turned to look out the kitchen window as he heard the sound of the large deadbolt clunking closed.

The moon rose slowly over the neighboring rooftops. As it did, they heard the horrible tortured sounds of Remus. The transformation was starting. Tonks' eyes were filled with tears, knowing she could do nothing to help the man she loved. Harry put a comforting arm around her shoulder.

"He'll be ok Tonks," he said soothingly.

"I know Harry. It's just that he is such a gentle persn, and for him to have to go through this..." she shook her head, unable to continue.

A mournful howl called from behind the door. Harry looked at Ron, catching his eye. A silent communication passed between the two young Marauders. They both knew, like Padfoot and Prongs before them, that they would do whatever it took to insure that Moony no longer went through this alone.

Poor Moony. I hope you enjoyed this one. Thanks for all of the wonderful reviews, please keep them coming. Also, a LONG overdue note. A million thank yous to Danielle for being the most fabulous moderator for this story. Everyone say "Thank you Danielle!"
Heading Home by Weasley Mom
A/N: The usual... Ms. Rowling owns all of the characters.

"Ron! Harry! Wake up boys!" came the harried sounding voice of Molly Weasley from the other side of the door. "You two had better get moving if you don't want to miss the train."

Harry blearily opened one eye thinking that morning had come entirely too early. It was then that Mrs. Weasley's words penetrated his sleepy brain. Today was September 1st. He was returning home to Hogwarts. He sat up with a grin and tossed a pillow at a still sleeping Ron.

"Rise and shine Ronniekins. We've got a busy day ahead of us," said Harry.

Ron mumbled a few words of complaint before rising and stumbling to the room of requirement, which was currently set up as a bathroom, complete with shower. Harry, meanwhile, quickly changed into jeans and a t-shirt as he had showered the night before. He then began check his room to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything. He was just finishing up when a slightly more awake Ron came out of the bathroom.

"Hurry up mate. I want to get some breakfast before your Mum rushes us out the door," said Harry.

"This is going to be a great year, I can just feel it. Much better than the last," said Ron grinning.

"Well I should hope so. Can't get much worse... between Umbridge taking over the school and Voldemort messing with my head. I couldn't take another year like the last," Harry replied.

"You couldn't? How do you think I felt? I had to put up with you," Ron joked.

"You didn't appreciate my sparkling personality last year?" Harry shot back grinning.

Ron snorted. "Not really... no. So... do you have everything packed?" Ron asked, putting a peculiar emphasis on the word everything.

Harry nodded, knowing he was referring to a few extra items donatd by Fred and George. "Yep all packed."

"All right. I'm done," said Ron tossing the last of his books in his trunk before latching it.

The boys grabbed their things and thunked down the stairs where, it seemed, chaos reigned. Harry smiled. He was very glad to see that some things never changed.

"Mummy?" Ginny shouted down the stairs behind them. "Have you seen my sweater? You know, the green one I really like?"

Mrs. Weasley rolled her eyes as she stomped past the grinning boy and up the stairs.

"Honestly Ginny! You really need to keep better track of your things. Why must you children always wait until the morning you're leaving to pack?"

"Sorry Mum," said a thoroughly unrepentant looking Ginny. She winked at Harry before joining her mother in searh of the missing sweater.

Fifteen minutes later, Ginny's sweater had been found, Harry and Ron had eaten, and the four returning students were impatiently awaiting the arrival of Mad-Eye Moody.

"Where is he?" asked an impatient Hermione tossing her bushy hair out of her eyes.

"He had to get the cars from the ministry Hermione. They take forever with stuff like this. Everything has to be signed out in triplicate," said Tonks who was standing with Lupin and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Tonks was wearing her hair long and blond today. She had it pulled back in a loose ponytail which made her look not much older then Hermione and Ginny.

Harry looked around him, noticing for the first time the inordinate amount of luggage piled in the hall. Ron must've noticed the same thing beause as the thought hit Harry, his friend spoke.

"Merlin, how many trunks do you girls need? There have to be at least two for each of you here."

"Why do you assume they're ours Ronald? We only have one each," said Hermione indignantly.

"Well then who do those belong to?" said Harry pointing at the extra pile of luggage.

"Those would belong to Professor Tonks and I," said a grinning Remus.

"Professor Tonks and you?" said Harry a smile lighting his face. "Does this mean what I think it does?"

Remus nodded. "Yes Harry. 'Dora and I will be accompanying you to Hogwarts this year, which you would've already known if you had been paying attention the other night instead of fighting with Snape."

"But Professor," said a puzzled Hermione. "There's only one teaching position open isn't there? How can you both be teaching?"

"We're not. I'm teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. Remus wll be working with Harry and the D.A. on a... special project," Tonks answered.

Harry raised an inquiring eyebrow at Lupin. Remus shook his head and shot Harry a look that clearly said they'd dscuss it later.

"Special project?" Ginny asked, not noticing the exchage between Harry and Lupin. "What special project?"

"I think Moody is here," said Mrs. Weasley from where she'd been peering out the door. She was correct as Moody himself soon entered.

"All right," he said in his usual gruff voice. "We have Ministry cars this year. Potter and young Mr. Weasley will ride with Lupin and me. Granger and Miss Wealey will ride with Tonks, Molly, and Arthur. The twins are meeting us at the station with 'Dung. Everyone ready?"

Before Harry knew it, the luggage had been loaded and Harry was ushered into the waiting car. After a suprisingly quick drive, considering the usual morning traffic, they had arrived at the station. They hurriedly unloaded their things and were soon at the barrier to platform 9 3/4. A grinning Fred and George stood there waiting with a seedy looking 'Dung.

"Platform secure," said Fred saluting Moody smartly.

"This isn't a game boy," Moody growled.

"Yes, we know," said George. "We've been vigilent."

"Constantly," added Fred solemnly, although his eyes were still full of mischief. 'Dung snorted, earning a baleful glare from Moody.

"We'll go in fours. Arthur and I will go first with Ginny and Hermione. Tonks, Lupin, Harry and Ron are next. Molly, 'Dung, and the twins will go last," Moody glanced around to make sure everyone understood, and then his group made their way through the barrier. The oher groups surreptiously followed.

Harry smiled as he saw the familiar scarlet engine and the platform full of students. Harry and Ron quickly said thier good-byes to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Mrs. Weasley was, as usual, slightly tearful. She made both boys promise to behave and wrapped them in bone crushing hugs. Harry then said good-bye to Moody who made him promise to continue his training with Tonks.

"I'll be popping in to check Potter. I expect to see you making progress," said Moody.

"Yes sir. I will," Harry promised solemnly.

While Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were distracted with saying good-bye to Ginny and Hermione, Harry stepped over to have a word with Fred and George.

"You get all the arangements made?" Harry asked.

"Of course mate. Would we let you down?" said Fred.

"Just wish we could be there to see it," George sighed.

"It's going to be brilliant," Ron grinned.

"What are you four up to?" Mrs. Wealey asked, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Ron's ears started to flush guiltily.

"We were just discussing Quidditch season Mrs. Weasley," Harry said innocently. "Ron was just saying we're going to have a brilliant team this year."

Mrs. Weasley seemed to relax and nodded. Just then the whistle sounded and the four students hastily boarded the train along with Remus and Tonks.

"I think we're going to head up front. We'll see you four later," said Tonks grabbing Lupin's hand and pulling him along toward the front of the train.

"We need to hurry. The prefects meeting will be starting soon and I want to get a good seat," said an impatient Hermione. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"We can't leave Harry to carry all of this by himself," said Ginny simply. "We'll just have to be late."

Hermione opened her mouth to reply but was interrupted by a cheerful voice from a compartment a few doors down the train.

"Need some help?"

"Neville!" Harry said. "How are you?"

"Oh I'm good. I saved us a compartment. You three go on. I'll help Harry with your things," he said.

"Thanks Neville," said Hermione smiling greatfully. She, Ron, and Ginny quickly hurried on to their meeting while Neville and Harry stowed the luggage.

"So Neville, how was your summer?" Harry asked.

"Great Harry," Neville said smilling. "I got to spend loads of time with Luna. Gran really likes her. She says Luna is good for me."

"I'm really happy for you Nev. Speaking of Luna, where is she?"

"Oh, she was made prefect. She'll be here after the meeting," he replied.

Harry nodded his understanding. He was glad to see Neville so obviously happy. Harry agreed with Mrs. Longbottom. Luna seemed to give his friend a new sense of confidence and peace.

"I was sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle Harry. I... um... saw your aunt when I went to visit Mum and Dad last week," Neville said. His eyes were filled with compassion and undersanding.

Harry looked down. Talking about his aunt was very difficult. His feelings on it were so mixed, but he knew if anyone would understand, it would be Neville.

"Thanks," Harry said simply. "She and I were never close but seeing what they did to her..." Harry shook his head, unable to go on.

"Don't worry Harry. They'll be stopped," Neville said comfortingly. Then as if sensing Harry's need to change subjects asked, "Want to play some exploding snap?"

Harry nodded, relieved. They were halfway through their second game when the others returned.

"I absolutely cannot believe that they let Malfoy stay prefect. That bloody evil little ferret!" Ron stormed plopping down across from Harry.

"He's still a prefect?" Harry asked. "What is Dumbledore thinking?"

"You know how he is Harry. He believes in second chances, deserved or not," said Hermione.

"Yeah but Malfoy," Ginny piped in. "He gives me the chills. Always has. The way he positively leers at me sometimes." Ginny shivered.

"He WHAT?" Harry and Ron demanded angrily.

"Oh it's nothing to worry about. He looks at all of the girls that way," Ginny added hastily in an attempt to calm both her brother and boyfriend down.

"Not all," said Hermione. "Just the pure bloods."

"Ok... how come I have never noticed this before?" Ron asked.

"You weren't paying attention," Luna said in her dreamy voiced way. She was, like last year, reading The Quibbler upside down.

Just then the object of their discusion poked his head in their compartment, followed by his two ape-like friends. Malfoy looked around with his usual sneer and saw Harry holding Ginny's hand.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk Potter. The company you keep," Malfoy murmured.

"Better than the company you keep," said Harry striving to keep his calm, especially when he saw the look directed at Ginny.

"You must really like animals then. I mean, your godfather was dog, your cousin a pig, and your girlfriend a weasel," Malfoy sneered.

"What's the matter Malfoy? Jealous? Just because the closest things to girls you can get are Crabbe and Goyle here..." Ginny retorted.

The sneer was wiped off of Malfoy's face and he pulled out his wand, aiming it at Ginny. Before he could even begin to utter a curse however, Harry was on his feet. He moved so quickly that he was just a blur to those watching. His foot connected with Malfoy's jaw, snapping his head back and causing his eyes to roll back in his head. Malfoy was crumpled to the floor in a heap between Crabbe and Goyle before either of them could move to protect him.

"I suggest you two take him out of my sight now," said Harry in a quiet, deadly voice. Eyes wide, the two Slytherins picked their friend up and dragged him back out into the corridor. Harry snapped the door shut behind them and resumed his seat next to Ginny as if nothing had happened.

"Bloody hell Harry! That was..." said Ron.

"Against about ten different school rules," said Hermione glaring at Harry. "I can't believe you did that."

"Oh come on 'Mione. He drew his wand. He was going to curse Ginny. Do you honestly blame Harry for that?" Ron asked.

"Of course I don't blame him. It was just irresponsible. You are going to get in so much trouble," said Hermione woriedly.

"No he won't, as we're not technically at school yet. Besides, he was defending me," said Ginny smiling and snuggling up to Harry, who was taking deep calming breaths to reign in his temper.

"Where did learn that Harry?" Neville asked in awe.

"I've been taking lesons all summer," said Harry awkwardly. He really hated being the center of attention.

"Are we going to learn that in D.A. this year?" Ron asked excitedly. "That'd come in very handy if we were, you know, attacked or something."

"I hadn't thought about it. We may," said Harry deciding to change the subject. "So...who do you think will try out for Quidditch this year?"

Ron's eyes lit up and he launchd into a discussion of his favorite subject. After that the trip passed fairly uneventfully. Remus and Tonks stepped in briefly to tell them that Malfoy had apparently "tripped" and nearly bitten his tongue off. Harry suspected, from the looks they directed him, that they knew exactly what had really happened.

By this time he train was beginning to slow. They all scrambled to grab their things and Ginny and Luna left to go "herd midgets" as Ron called it.

Stepping off the train, Harry looked around at the press of students. He saw the carriages standing with the skeletal thestrals which pulled them, and the castle lights twinkling far in the distance.

"Firs' years over here! Firs' years!" came the familiar call. "All right you three?"

Harry waved to Hagrid and smiled as he made his way to the carriages with Ron and Hermione. He was finally home.

A/N: Originally, this is where I was going to end this story, however, it developed in ways I didn't originally plan so I'm continuing it past this. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review. Once again, many thanks to Danielle for moderating.
At the Feast by Weasley Mom
All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.

The thestral pulled carriages rolled to a stop at the foot of the castle's stone steps. Harry and his friends climbed out and blended in with the noisy laughing throng which was making it's way into the school. As they entered the Great Hall, Harry felt the familiar stares which seemed to accompany him anytime he was in public. He kept his head down and started to make a bee-line for his usual spot at the Gryffindor table. He felt a small warm hand slip into his and looked down to see a smilling Ginny.

"Don't you dare let them do this to you Harry. This is going to be the best year ever, remember? Keep your head up, and smile or I'm going to start hexing people," she said. A steely glint came into her eyes as she stared down a couple of fourth year Ravenclaws who were looking at Harry and whispering.

"Yes ma'am!" Harry said smiling at her greatfully. Ginny beamed at him and then pulled him along to a seat across from Ron and Hermione.

The Great Hall was decorated in its usual start of term spledour. Hundreds and hundreds of candles hovered over the house tables, casting their glow throughout the hall and glittering upon the golden plates and goblets which were awaiting use. Harry looked around and saw many familiar faces.

Several people who had been in the D.A. last year stopped on the way to their seats to say hello to Harry and the others. Most of them also thanked Harry for the O's they had received on their OWLs. A suprising number wanted to know if they would be continuing with it this year and were delighted when Harry told them that they would.

Harry scanned the staff table then, noting the prescence of Firenze. Harry assumed that he would be splitting Divination classes with Trelawney. He waved to Remus and Tonks who were sitting between two empty chairs to the left of Professor Dumbledore. Harry knew the empty chairs were the customary seats of Hagrid and Professor McGonnagall who were with the first years right now. Dumbledore was in his usual spot at the center of the table, smiling benevolently at all of his students. Harry grinned, knowing that he was not the only one glad to be back at Hogwarts.

On Dumbledore's right sat tiny Professor Flitwick and the glowering, black-clad Professor Snape. Catching Harry looking at him Snape sneered. Harry allowed his mouth to curve into an arrogant smirk that he had seen his dad aim toward Snape in the pensieve. He knew that one action would set the potions master on edge like nothing else could. Harry had decided that he was not going to meekly take whatever Snape threw at him this year. He had bigger things to worry about.

It was with these thoughts that Harry saw Hagrid enter and take his seat, followed shortly thereafter by Professor McGonnagall and a long line of first years. Prof. McGonnagall, in her usual brisk way, sat the four legged stool carrying the sorting hat down. There was a moment of silence and then the hat began to sing:

A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly made,
Powerful charms of wisdom,
Were upon me laid.

The founders needed help you see,
To sort the students out,
And so from then to now,
This is what I've been about.

I've sorted countless youngsters,
And helped them find their home,
But in this world, with danger near,
From this task I must now roam.

Our Hogwarts is in peril,
War and fear will soon hold sway,
And the houses must unite,
To keep the evil one at bay.

For a hero dwells among you,
But he can not fight alone,
And all must show their loyalty,
If we're to change this evil tone.

Twice now I have warned you,
I beg you to take heed.
If we do not stand as one,
Then evil shall succeed.

Now must I end my song,
I must complete my task,
But while I divide, you must unite,
It is for Hogwarts that I ask.


Harry looked around uneasily. He felt most of the eyes in the now silent hall upon him. He started to withdraw into himself, as he usually did when he became the center of attention, then he felt Ginny squeeze his hand and saw her smile reassuringly. Harry sat up straighter and raised his head defiantly. It was not his fault he was the bloody savior of the world. He refused to hide. He turned his attention back to Professor McGonnagall who was now unrolling a long scroll of parchment.

"When I call your names you will come up, place the hat on your head, and sit on the stool. When the hat announces your house, you may go sit at the appropriate table," she told the scared looking first years. Harry remembered how nervous he had been all those years ago and tried to smile reassuringly at the nervous group of children.

"Abingdon, Amanda" McGonnagall called.

A tiny blonde girl with sky blue eyes marched trembling up to the stool and put the hat on.

"Gryffindor!" the hat shouted. Harry and the other Gryffindors cheered loudly as Amanda joined them smiling.

"I swear this takes longer every year," said an impatient Ron.

"The sorting is important Ronald, besides we ate on the train. You can't possibly be hungry yet," said Hermione.

"I never said I was hungry 'Mione. I just said that it was taking forever," said Ron grumpily. Hermione rolled her eyes missing the grin Ron shot Harry. Harry returned Ron's grin and winked. Unfortunately Ginny was watching them.

"All right, what are you two up to?" Ginny asked, a knowing look on her face.

"Up to love?" Harry asked innocently.

"That may work on Mum Harry James Potter, but she thinks you walk on water. I know better. I've seen you and Ron with your heads together enough the last few days to know something is up. Now tell me what it is," Ginny demanded.

Harry grinned. "It's a suprise, but I promise you'll find out soon. Look the sorting is almost over."

Ginny opened her mout to protest, but the last first year, Zorrich, William, had been sorted into Ravenclaw, and Professor Dumbledore was rising to make his traditional speech. She shot Harry an I'll deal with you later look and turned to listen.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Before we begin the feast, I feel it is my duty to inform you that I've been told the treacle tart is particularly good tonight. Now, tuck in!" said the headmaster.

Food magically began to fill the plates as students scrambled for food and drink.

"Wait for it..." Ron said to a grinning Harry.

The sound of howls began to fill the hall. Hermione nearly dropped her goblet of pumpkin juice when it began to howl at her, and looked accusingly at Ron and Harry. Before she could open her mouth to scold them, however, Ginny and several others began to laugh uncontrollably and point at the Slytherin table.

"Oh Merlin! Would you look at that," she said between giggles. "How did you two do this?"

Several of the Slytherins, including Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, had sprouted floppy black dog ears and tails. They also appeared to be incapable of talking and could only bark their protests. Even Hermione could not maintain her disapproval at the sight of a furry black tail sticking out the back of Pansy Parkinson's robes.

Overhead, several of the candles began to emit glowing silver sparks which zoomed around the room before, finally coalescing into a giant life like silver stag which pranced around the hall. The hall was in an uproar of barks, howls, and laughter now. Harry and Ron were almost falling off their seats at the look on Malfoy's face. Harry hazarded a look at the staff table to gauge their reactions.

Dumbledore was laughing outright, while he and Professor Flitwick tried to determine exactly what charm had been placed on the goblets to make them howl. Professor McGonnagall was doing her best to maintain her decorum but a distinct smile was playing about her lips. Tonks and Hagrid were, like Dumbledore, chuckling at the general chaos. Snape was, of course, glaring at the Gryffindor table as if he knew the source of the mischief.

Lastly Harry looked at Moony, who was beaming at Harry and Ron like a proud parent. The Marauders tradition of an Opening Feast Prank had been reborn. Harry thought he detected a touch of sadness in Moony as well, and knew that he, like Harry himself, was wishing that Padfoot and Prongs were here enjoying this as well.

Another loud pop sounded somewhere near the ceiling of the Great Hall, and just as suddenly as it had begun, the chaos stopped. The Slytherins returned to normal, the goblets ceased their howling, and the silvery stag faded away as thousands of paper stars floated down from the above. Hermione plucked one out of the air, noticing the words printed upon it.

"What's it say?" Ginny asked still trying to stifle her giggles.

Hermione shot the two boys a glare and read, "Tonight's entertainment was brought to you courtesy of the Marauders, in co-operation with Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. They may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten."

"You realize Dumbledore, McGonnagall, and Snape, not to mention Remus and Tonks, will know exactly who did this right?" said Hermione.

"I don't know what you mean Hermione," said Ron trying to look innocent.

"Ronald! You're a prefect. You are supposed to be setting an example for the younger ones," she said in frustration.

"Don't be mad at Ron, Hermione. We did it for my dad and Padfoot. Moony told us that they started every term with a major prank and well, we thought it was about time for the Marauders to restart that tradition," said Harry.

"But Harry, you aren't Marauders," said Hermione.

Harry and Ron shared a guilty look. "We kind of are, but we can't explain it here," said Ron. "I promise we'll explain it tonight." He shot her pleading look, complete with puppy dog eyes which would've done Sirius proud.

Hermione sighed. "I'm not sure I even want to know."

"I do," said Ginny. The mischievious streak she shared with the twins was very evident at the moment. "How did you two do this? You've been with us all day."

"You two did this?" asked Seamus, who was sitting nearby. "Excellent!"

Harry groaned. He knew before morning the whole school would know that he and Ron were responsible. He sincerely hoped Padfoot and Prongs appreciated what he and Ron would go through for them.

"Now that the entertainment portion of the evening is over," Professor Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling. "I must ask for your attention while I give out start of term notices. First off, Mr. Filch has asked me to tell you that the list of forbidden items has expanded once again this year. The full list, which now includes most of the excellent items sold by our friends at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, may be found on his office door. Also as always, the Forbidden Forest is most definately forbidden still," Dumbledore paused here to look signifcantly at Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.

"We have a few staff changes again this year. First, Professor Firenze will be continuing with us. He will be teaching NEWT level Divination classes. Professor Trelawney will continue her duties with the younger students. Next, please welcome Professor Nymphadora Tonks, who has taken leave from her duties as an auror, to become our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the year. Finally, please welcome back Professor Remus Lupin, who some of you may remember as a former Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Professor Lupin, in addition to working on some special projects with me, will be acting as supervisor for the newly reformed D.A. which some of you participated in last year. Anyone interested in participating in the DA this year should contact either Professor Lupin or Mr. Harry Potter of Gryffindor," Dumbledore paused once again to indicate Harry.

"This completes our announcements for this evening. Prefects if you could please escort your houses to their dorms. Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley, if I might have a word with you gentlemen in my office please." Harry and Ron exchanged a somewhat nervous, slightly guilty look.

"Well what did you expect?" Hermione snapped at them before turning and leading the Gryffindors out. Ginny quickly pecked Harry on the cheek before she too left to help Colin Creevey with the first years.

Harry and Ron made their way to Dumbledore's office. It wasn't until they reached the foot of the stone gargoyle that they realized they had no idea what the password was.

"Any ideas?" Ron aksed.

"Canary Cream?" Harry tried doubtfully. To his amazement the gargoyle began to move. "Wow, never got it on the first try before. You ready for this mate?"

At Ron's nod, Harry took a deep breath and led the way up to the headmaster's office.

A/N: Ok I have gained a whole new respect for Jo Rowling. Writing the sorting hat song was one of the hardest things I've done. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review. Once again, thank you to the wonderful Danielle for moderating and also to my son Will for being my own personal live-in beta.
Consequences and Repercussions by Weasley Mom
All the characters in this story are owned and created by Ms. Rowling.

Harry and Ron nervously entered the headmaster's office. They both knew the probable consequences of their prank, although they'd both assumed that they'd be facing McGonnagall rather than Dumbledore. They were, however, not prepared when, upon entering the office, they saw not only Dumbledore, but Professors McGonnagall, Snape, Tonks, and Lupin as well.

"Bloody hell Harry. Think it's too late to make a run for it?" Ron murmured.

"That won't be necessary Mr. Weasley, I assure you," said Dumbledore, his blue eyes twinkling with humor. "Although, I suppose we should get your punishment out of the way before we move on to the other matters which we need to discuss. Minerva?" Professor McGonnagall rose, a very stern look on her face, although Harry thought he might have seen a twinkle in her eye before she ruthlessly squashed it.

"I cannot believe that two members of my house would pull a stunt like this. I am very disappointed in you boys. Mr. Weasley, you are a prefect. You should be setting a better example for the younger children," Professor McGonnagall said to Ron, who looked contrite and muttered what might have been an apology.

"As for you Mr. Potter, you are quidditch captain, not to mention the fact that so many look up to you for all of the other things you've done. You two could have done serious damage to the Slytherins had your transfiguration gone wrong. We haven't even discussed the fact that you've managed to break more rules in one night than I've seen since... well since the Marauders," Harry heard Tonks snort and saw Remus shush her. McGonnagall pinned the two with her most stern look.

"I expected better of you two. You will each be serving three nights of detention with Mr. Filch, and I want two rolls of parchment from each of you on human to animal transfiguration and the possible consequences when it is improperly done."

Harry groaned and Ron looked as if he wanted to protest, until Professor McGonnagall raised her eyebrow and asked, "Would you like me to add more?"

"No, professor," said Ron and Harry glumly.

"Now that we have that taken care of, have a seat gentlemen," said Dumbledore conjuring two squishy armchairs for them. "You are both pobably wondering why it was necessary to have all of us here for this."

Harry allowed himself a small smile and nodded. "Yes sir. I was starting to think we might be expelled."

"No Potter. That would've made me too happy," sneered Prof. Snape.

Harry looked at him, suprised. That had sounded perilously close to a joke. As far as Harry was aware, however, Snape had no sense of humor. The professor saw Harry's stare and smirked.

Dumbledore chuckled, "Quite right. Can't have our potions master too happy. It would send the student body into shock."

Lupin had to cough hastily to cover his laugh, as did Ron. Harry and Tonks grinned outright. Snape shot sour looks at all of them.

"Aside from your punishments boys, we needed to have a word with Harry regarding some Order business. As we didn't want to draw too much attention to that fact, this seemed to be the most expedient means to the end," Dumbledore said.

"I guess that's my cue to leave then," said Ron starting to rise. He knew that, since he was not an Order member, he was not generally privy to information about what they were doing.

"Actually Ron, you can stay for this," said Professor Lupin. "I'm sure you'll be finding out about it soon enough anyway." Ron looked suprised for a minute, and then sat back down, smiling in a pleased sort of way.

"Harry, do you remember what we discussed at the last Order meeting? About the D.A.?" Remus asked.

Harry nodded. "Yes, and I've been thinking about it ever since. We didn't really get a chance to go into many specifics though, so I wasn't able to plan much."

"That is why we have called you here Mr. Potter," said Dumbledore. "As I said at the feast, I am having Professor Lupin work with you and the D.A. this year. I think we will have Professor Tonks assist as well. I would like as many of our older students as possible to be ready to defend both themselves and the younger students. I think that, between the three of you," said Dumbledore indicating Harry, Tonks, and Lupin," that you'll be able to prepare them quite well."

"Professor," said Harry doing his best to read between the lines of what Dumbledore had said," Does his mean that you think Hogwarts will be attacked?"

"I think that it is a definate possibility Harry. My main fear is that Voldemort will send the dementors against the school," Dumbledore said gravely.

Harry's eyes widened at the implications of that. He felt Ron tense up next to him.

"Professor, we can't fight the dementors. Most of us can't even produce a partial Patronus, and even less can produce a full one," said Ron.

"He's right Professor. Only a handful of people in the DA last year could produce a full fledged patronus, and that was without an actual dementor bearing down on them," Harry agreed.

"Calm down Harry," said Remus quietly. "We have time to prepare. The Order will have warning of an attack well before it comes. We just want to be ready for the worst."

"Don't forget, Hogwarts has it's own protection," added Tonks. "It is probably the most secure building in the nation, even more so than the Ministry."

"All right," said Harry taking a deep breath. "This somewhat chages what I was planning to do this year, but..." Harry shrugged. He would do whatever it took to protect and prepare his fellow students.

"As far as the other function of the D.A. this year," Dumbledore said. "I'd like to see at least two representatives from each house."

Harry nodded. "That was my thought as well Professor, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to get people from ALL of the houses. I'm not terribly well thought of in Slythein," he sad with a grin.

"Leave Slytherin to me Potter," said Snape. "I am well aware of who to keep an eye on in my house."

"Have you given any thought as to who you'll be recruiting Mr. Potter?" Professor McGonnagall asked.

Harry nodded. "Well, obviously Ron, Hermione, and Ginny from Gryffindor. I thought Neville Longbottom as well. People tend to think of him as harmless and open up more around him. I realize that is more than two people from Gryffindor, but I know I can trust them all. I thought I would get their input on who to pick from the other houses as well."

"Get our input on what exactly?" asked a, by now, thoroughly curious Ron. Harry grinnned.

"We're going to put together a small group of D.A. members to help gather information for the Order," he answered.

"You mean like spies? Wicked," said Ron.

"No Mr. Weasley not like spies," said Dumbledore firmly. "You will not spy on your fellow students nor will you put yourself in danger to obtain information. What you will do is keep your eyes and ears open. Anything unusual should be reported as soon as possibl to Harry, who will, in turn, relay the information to the rest of the Order."

"Which reminds me sir, how I am going to do that without arousing suspicion?" Harry asked.

"We've actually come up with a rather ingenious plan for that, if I do say so myself," said Dumbledore smiling. "It was actually Professor Lupin's idea."

"Oh?" said Harry turning to his guardian.

"Detention," said Lupin simply.

"Excuse me?" said a thoroughly confused Harry. He hadn't even done anything, well not since the feast anyway. Lupin grinned.

"If you have anything to report, get yourself landed in detention with one of us," said Lupin simply. "The prank you boys pulled tonight plays into this beautifully by the way."

"Wait a minute... You're actually encouraging us to cause trouble?" asked a disbelieving Ron.

"No, we're encouraging you to stage trouble and then only when necessary. Fred and George have agreed to keep you supplied with whatever you might need for this purpose," said Lupin.

"I think that is all for tonight boys, unless you have any further questions," said Dumbledore. Both boys shook their heads.

"Very well. Professor Lupin, could you see our young troublemakers back to their common room please. I'd hate for Mr. Filch to see them out after hours and give them another detention," the headmaster said, his eyes regaining their customary twinkle. Harry, Ron, and Remus rose and made their way down the stairs and headed for Gryffndor Tower.

"So... are you two going to tell me how you pulled off all of that at the feast or just leave me wondering?" Lupin asked with a grin. Harry and Ron smiled miscieviously.

"I can not believe that one of our founding fathers can't figure out how we did it," Harry sighed, an impish twinkle in his eyes.

"A bit sad really," Ron agreed. "Of course, he is one of them now."

"Them?" Lupin asked.

"A teacher," said Ron with a mock shiver.

"Good lord, I've created a couple of monsters," Moony sighed dramatically. The interchange between Harry and Ron had reminded him strongly of similar conversations he'd had with Padfoot and Prongs when they were feeling particularly pleased with their own cleverness. The boys were grinning from ear to ear. Remus had never seen Harry look more like James.

"Well?" he asked finally. "Are you going to tell me or just keep grinning like the cats that ate the pixies?"

"Well the idea was actually Harry's," Ron began.

"But Ron figured out how to execute it," said Harry.

"We had to enlist Fred and George and Dobby," Ron explained. " The thing with the Slytherins was easy... a couple of sprinkles of Padfoot's Patented Puppy Powder in their food. Dobby did that for us."

"He also put out the goblets that we'd enchanted to howl," said Harry. "He was pretty excited about the whole thing. I think he'd waited a long time to get a little revenge on Malfoy."

"All right," said Moony. "The fireworks I recognized as one of the things Fred and George gave Harry for his birthday, but you two never had the opportunity to set those up, or the stars either actually."

Harry grinned. "Fred and George snuck in last night through Honeydukes to set up the fireworks. They also gave the powder and goblets to Dobby. They made us add the stars. They said if they were going to do all of the setup, they should at least get free advertising."

"Not bad for your first prank young Marauders," said Lupin. "Padfoot and Prongs would, I'm sure, be very proud."

"Thanks Moony," said Harry happily. They were now outside the portrait which marked the entrance to Gryffindor Tower.

"I'll see you two tomorrow. Harry meet with me in the room of requirement tomorrow after class so we can go over the schedule for D.A.," Lupin said.

"Night Moony," said Ron.

"Tell Tonks we said Hi," said Harry innocently.

Lupin grinned, blushing slightly, "I will."

"Patronus," said Ron and the portrait hole swung open. The boys entered, expecting to find the common room empty. They were, unfortunately for them, wrong.

Hermione and Ginny were sitting in two chairs by the fire waiting. Neither looked very pleased, in fact, they both appeared quite angry. The boys, not sure exactly what they had done, but deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, headed for the stairs.

"Stop right there Ronald," said Hermione.

"Freeze Potter," Ginny practically growled.

Harry and Ron exchanged a nervous glance, but froze.

"I believe that you two have something to tell us?" Hermione asked determinedly.

Hope you enjoyed that one. Please make sure to review.
Left Out by Weasley Mom
As always, all of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.



"Well?" said Ginny raising an eyebrow. Both she and Hermione seemed to think that the boys should know exactly what they were so upset about.

Ron and Harry exchanged a mystified glance. The girls had seemed ok when the boys left to go see Dumbledore, well Ginny had anyway. Hermione had been annoyed, but she hadn't really seemed angry, at least not like this.

"Ummm... " said Ron, clearly grasping for straws. "You aren't... this isn't... Are you mad about the prank?"

"Honestly!" said Hermione rolling her eyes. "Do you two really think that we're this upset because of a prank, albeit one that was so irresponsible? You are just so...so..." Hermione made a completely inarticulate noise, as if she was incapable of deciding just what the two boys were. She pulled one of the star shaped pieces of paper from her pocket and thrust it at them.

"What does that say?" she demanded, her eyes flashing.

"T-tonight's entertainment was provided by the Marauders in..." Harry began.

"Exactly!" Ginny snapped. "Provided by the Marauders."

"Do you expect us to believe Remus pulled this prank? Or maybe Pettigrew?" Hermione raged.

"Pettigrew is NOT a Marauder," Harry growled beginning to become angry himself now.

"Oh! Then perhaps you'd like us to believe your dad and Sirius reached from beyond the grave and gave the Slytherins floppy black dog ears?" Hermione practically screached.

Harry reacted as if he had been slapped. He dimly heard Ginny gasp. The anger which had begun moments ago, was now at the boiling point. His green eyes blazed. It was only the prescence of Ron, who put a restraining hand on his shoulder, which kept him from lashing out at Hermione.

"What the hell is your problem Hermione? How could you say something like that to Harry?" Ron said, his voice a deadly hiss which Harry had never heard Ron use towards anyone he cared about before. Hermione, as though just now realizing what she had said put her hands to her mouth and began to cry.

"Oh God Harry! I'm sorry...so sorry. I didn't mean that I just... things are changing so fast. War is coming. I can feel it and all we have to cling to is each other. When I found out that you two had done this... become Marauders... and you left me out. I felt like... like I was losing you both. I couldn't take that. I can't. You two are the most important people in the world to me," she sobbed. Her bushy brown hair was clinging to her tear soaked cheeks, as she hid her face in her hands. Ron and Harry went to her then. Ron sat next to her and put his arm around her, trying soothe her. Harry knelt on the floor in front of her.

"Hermione," Harry said quietly, his anger completely forgotten. "Don't. It's ok. We're sorry. We didn't mean to leave you out. Really."

"I guess we got caught up in the excitement of it all. We would't hurt you for the world. You either sis," said Ron.

Hermione looked up then, a tremulous smile on her face. She wrapped both Ron and Harry in a hug fierce enough to rival one of Mrs. Weasley's.

"All right Granger. Hands off my boyfriend," said Ginny, trying to lighten the mood. Hermione giggled wetly and released Harry, who went to Ginny.

"I'm sorry Ginny. We really didn't mean to leave you out," Harry apologized.

"I know Harry. It's just that it took so long for you to see me as anything other than Ron's tag-along kid sister. I didn't want to go back to that, so I guess I kind of overeacted. I'm sorry," she said.

"I am curious though," Hermione said. "What made you guys decide to do this? I mean, we've known about the Marauders for a long time. Why did you decide to revive them now?"

"Well it wasn't actually us who decided," Harry said slowly. "The Marauders sort of decided for us."

"The Marauders decided? Harry what do you mean?" Ginny asked. Harry sighed, knowing nothing less then the truth would do.

"OK, before we tell you this, you have to understand something. This isn't just our secret. It's Moony's too," Harry said.

"Moony?" Hemione asked. Harry nodded.

"You remember the day Sirius' name was cleared?" Harry asked.

"Of course we do. That's not something we are likely to forget Harry. It was pretty significant," Ginny answered.

"That night around midnight, Remus came and woke us up. He took us to Sirius' old room. When we got there, he told us that he and Sirius had planned on making Ron and I Marauders when Pettigrew was captured and Sirius was cleared. My dad had made them promise that no matter what I'd be made a Marauder. Ron was Sirius' idea," Harry said, alowing his mind to drift back to that night. Images of his dad and Sirius flowed through his mind. Ron must have sensed Harry's preoccupation because he continued the story.

"I was honored to say the least," said Ron. "Sirius and Mr. Potter were great men, and to be made part of that..." Ron's ears turned red.

"Anyway, after Moony told us what happened, he started to do a spell. I have no idea what it was, but I have never seen anything like it in my life. You could feel the power it took. I thought he was going to collapse or something. Then the air started shimmering and suddenly there was Sirius and Harry's dad. It was amazing," said Ron. Ginny's jaw dropped at her brother's words. Hermione's eyes widened.

"Omigosh! I knew Professor Lupin was powerful, but I never... Do you to realize that spell has only ever been successful three times in the history of magic and that, until now, the only one to have successfully performed it was Merlin? No one else ever lived through it," Hermione said. "Do you know how dangerous, not to mention illegal, that was?"

"We didn't at the time. Once I found out though, I yelled at Moony about it. He told me he owed it to them, for all they had done for him. He did it because he loved them and knew that they wanted, more than anything, to be there for it... for me. It was my dad's last request of him," Harry said quietly.

"Harry?" said Ginny gently. "Did you actually get to talk to your Dad? What did he say?"

Harry smiled. "He said he and Mum loved me and were proud of me. He said that they were always watching, and that they think you are as wonderful as I do."

Ginny blushed. "He did not say that."

"Yeah he did Gin. I heard him," said Ron.

"Anyway, Dad, Sirius, and Remus swore us in and then... they started to fade. Before they left though, they told me they'd be there with me when I faced him," Harry's voice broke. He took a deep breath and attempted to compose himself.

"I still can't believe that Prof. Lupin did the Espiritus spell. He could've died. He was willing to die for them," Hermione said.

"He's a good man," Ginny said simply.

"That's why," said Harry, "Ron and I have decided something. We're not going to let Remus be alone anymore. We're going to become true Marauders."

"Do you two have any idea how dangerous that will be?" Hermione said, unknowingly sounding like Prof. McGonnagall. Harry and Ron nodded, their determination to continue despite that shone in their faces.

Hermione sighed. "It's a good thing Ginny and I will be helping. You two would never be able to do this on your own," said Hermione, sounding more like herself than she had all evening.

"Hemione, Ginny... we can't ask you to do this," Harry said.

"You didn't," Hermione said firmly.

"We volunteered," said Ginny grinning impishly. "Besides I've wanted to try it ever since I saw McGonnagall turn into a cat for the frst time."

"Mental," said Ron shaking his head at his baby sister. Ginny stuck her tongue out at him and grinned.

"Oh wow. It's getting late and we have class in the morning. We should get to bed," Hermione said looking at her watch.

"Before we go, there's one more thing we need to tell you about," Harry said grimly. He quickly filled the girls in on what was said in Dumbledore's office. When he was done, they were quiet for a minute, absorbing all that Harry had told them.

"I think we need to schedule the first DA meeting as soon as we can Harry," Hemione said. "We need to have everyone as prepared as possible. I think we should also start teaching some of the non-magical forms of combat you've been learning this summer."

Harry nodded. "I was planning on it, but my main concern is getting everyone up to par with the Patronus." The four continued their discussion for a few more minutes before, looking again at her watch, Hermione reminded them all how late it was.

Ginny and Hermione kissed the boys good night and headed up to the girls' dorms. Ron was half way up the stairs to the boys' dorm when he realized that Harry wasn't following him.

"You allright mate?" Ron asked frowning.

"Yeah, I'll be up in a few," said Harry. Ron nodded and continued on to their room.

Harry sat staring into the dying embers of the common room fire. They were all counting on him. Dumbledore, Remus, his friends, people he didn't even know. He had never felt the burden he carried more then he did right now, tonight.

So now Hermione and Ginny are in on everything. Thanks again to Danielle for moderating. Thanks for reading. Please review.
The Start of Classes by Weasley Mom
A/N: All characters contained herein are the sole property of Ms. Rowling.

Harry was soaring high above the clouds on his firebolt. He could feel the wind blowing though his hair. Ginny clung tightly to him, her arms wrapped securely around his waist. Grinning mischieviously, he dipped the broom into a swift dive.

"Harry!" he heard her squeal.


"Harry? Harry? Come on wake up. You too Ron," said the voice of Neville Longbottom. Harry groaned.

"Go away Neville. It cannot possibly be morning yet," Ron mumbled sleepily.

"'Fraid so. Ginny and Hermione sent me to wake you up and there is no way I am facing those two and without you," said Neville.

Harry cautiously cracked open one eye to see light streaming in the window. Sighing, he yawned, stretched, and sat up.

"Thanks Neville. You can go tell them we'll be right down," he said ripping the blankets off of a once again snoring Ron. "Come on mate. Up and at em. Hermione will have your hide if she has to hand out schedules all by herself."

Ron rolled groggily out of bed and began throwing on clothes. Harry dug through his trunk in search of a clean shirt. Neville, as he had said, was not going back down without Ron or Harry. He sat down on his bed grinning at his two bleary eyed friends.

"You were out late last night. Exactly how much trouble did you end up in?" he asked.

Harry grimaced. "Three nights worth of detention with Filch and two rolls of parchment on all of the things which could've gone wrong with the transfiguration we did on the Slytherins."

"That's rough," said Neville.

"Yeah but it's worth it to have seen Malfoy with a tail wagging out the back of his robes," said Ron laughingly.

Neville snorted. "Yeah it was nice to see him get his for a change."

Harry and Ron were ready at last, so the three boys headed down to the common room where they were met by Ginny and an impatient Hermione.

"Finally! We're going to be late," said Hermione grabbing Ron's hand and practically dragging him down to the Great Hall with Neville, Harry, and Ginny trailing in their wake. The foursome made their way to the Gryffindor table, while Neville went to the Ravenclaw table to see Luna.

Professor McGonnagall came by and gave Hermione a stack of schedules, which she in turn divided between herself, Ron, Ginny, and Colin Creevey, the other fifth year prefect. Between the four of them, the papers were quickly handed out and they had soon rejoined Harry at the table.

The young Marauders soon found themselves doing their best to fend off questions about last night's prank. People from both Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw kept dropping by to congratulate them on their "brilliance", while the Gryffindors demanded to know how they'd managed it. About halfway through breakfast, people finally seemed to have had their fill, so Harry was at last able to look at his schedule.

"Hrmm... looks like double Transfiguration this morning," said Harry, glancing at Ron and Hermione's schedules as well. They would all have this class together. "What about you Gin?"

"UGH! I have Potions with the Slytherins. That is so not fair," she said.

"Ouch! Sorry sis," said Ron.

"At least you get it out of the way," Harry added comfortingly.

A rush of noise overhead anounced the arrival of the owls with the morning post. Harry really was not expecting anything, so was suprised when the decripit ball of feathers that was the Weasley family owl came hurtiling straight at him and Ron. Errol landed with a plop in Ron's cereal bowl and dropped a bright red letter on the table between them before collapsing in a heap.

"Bloody hell! She sent me a howler," said Ron going pale. Harry was staring transfixed at the name, or rather names, on the now sizzling envelope.

"Oh no!" he said, paling even more than Ron.

"Better open it before it explodes," Ginny advised sagely.

Squeezing his eyes shut, Ron reached out and opened the letter. The screaching voice of Mrs. Weasley boomed out across the Great Hall.

"Ronald Billius Weasley and Harry James Potter! I am so dissappointed in you two. What in Merlin's name were you thinking? Someone could've been hurt! I thought you were both more responsible than this! Ronald you could've lost your prefect's badge and Harry, as quidditch captain you should be setting an example! Three detentions! Three! On your first day! Not even Fred and George managed to do that! I had better not hear that either of you has gotten up to anymore hijinx or you will be dealing with a lot more than detention!"

The letter finished shouting out its message and shredded itself in a shower of red paper. Ron by this time was positively scarlet. Harry, who was not fond of attention under the best of circumstances, was absolutely mortified to find every eye in the hall upon them, including a smirking Malfoy.

He looked around at his friends who were all grinning openly. Feeling betrayed he turned his eyes to the staff table, only to see Remus and Tonks laughing ouright at his predicament. Dumbledore had a distinct twinkle in his eyes and even Prof. McGonnagall seemed to be having dificulty keeping a straigt face.

"Oh sure!" said Harry grumpily. "Laugh it up. Ron and I might as well just dance a jig on top of the table wearing nothing but Dobby's tea cozy for your enjoyment next time. It'll be less embarrasing."

"That would be... interesting," said Ginny a mischievious grin on her face. Harry blushed scarlet.

"Ewww Ginny! I'm right here," said a scandalized Ron. "Do you mind not sharing those kinds of thoughts with me... especially about Harry," he added with a shiver.

"He brought it up Ron, not me," said Ginny trying to look innocent. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"All of this is your own fault you know," said Hermione primly. "If you would..."

Fortunately, she was interrupted before she could get into full swing by the arrival of yet another owl. This one was a handsome silver color. It swooped low over Harry's head and dropped a letter on his plate, before flying back out the window from whence it came. Opening the letter, Harry quickly scanned though it, chuckled, and handed it to Ron. Hermione leaned in to get a better look.

"Who is it from?" Ginny asked.

"Fred and George," Hermione answered, taking the letter from Ron and reading out loud.

"Hey Mates!
Sorry about the howler. We tried to stop her, but you know Mum. We hear through the grape vine that the prank was brilliantly executed. Congratultions and way to uphold the fine Marauder tradition. We are so proud.

Your benevlent benefactors,
Fred and George


Ginny laughed. She had always been particularly close to Fred and George and was missing them a great deal already this year.

"We'd better get moving if we're going to get decent seats in transfiguration," said Hermione noticing that people were starting to leave and head to their classes. They all grabbed their things. Harry gave Ginny a quick peck on the cheek and promised to meet her here for lunch before following Ron and Hermione to Prof McGonnagall's classroom.

They slipped into their usual seats noticing that this year's class was smaller then previous years. After giving her usual opening remarks, Prof McGonnagall began to lecture them on the first topic they would be studying this term.

"This year we will begin to work on human to animal transfiguration. While true animagus are very rare, most witches and wizards can manage at least partial transfiguration," McGonnagall said.

"Can anyone tell me what the first step in animagus transformation is?" she asked. Naturally Hermione's hand was the first in the air.

"Yes Miss Granger," Prof. McGonnagall smiled.

"In order to begin transfiguration, the animagus must first determine what animal they will become so that they can get a clear picture of the animal in their heads before transformation," said Hermione.

"Very good Miss Granger. Three points to Gryffindor. Now, there are many ways to determine what your animagus form will be. There are a number of charms which can be performed to find the animal spirit within the witch or wizard. Can anyone tell me what one of these is?"

Hermione's hand again shot into the air. McGonnagall nodded at her indicating she should answer.

"The Patronus charm," Hermione said promptly. Harry's eyes widened as it connected in his brain that he would have the same animagus form as his father.

"Excellent. It is nice to see that some people did their homework over the summer," said McGonnagall. "For the first several weeks of the term, we will be concentrating on learning the Patronus charm. Those of you, like Mr. Potter, who have already mastered this will assist those who have not yet learned it."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged a look. Only those three knew that a large portion of the reason they would be learning the Patronus had very little to do with Animagi. The rest of the period proceded fairly uneventfully and, before Harry knew it, it was time for lunch.

The three friends headed down to the Great Hall laughing and talking. Harry entered the room, expecting to see Ginny already waiting on him, but she was nowhere to be seen. He frowned slightly. Hermione, who always seemed to know what Ron and Harry were thinking, raised an eyebrow at him.

"What's wrong Harry?" she asked.

"Nothing really. It's just that Ginny promised to meet me here and she's late," he answered, trying to hide his growing sense of unease. Now it was Hermione's turn to frown.

"Colin? Have you seen Ginny?" Hermione asked as Colin walked past.

"Not since potions. She had to stay behind and clean up. That slimy Marcus Parkinson knocked over her cauldron. He claimed it was an accident, but it didn't look like one to me. Naturally, Snape docked Ginny points," Colin said shaking his head.

"She's probably just still cleaning up," Ron said. "She'll be here soon mate. Sit down and have a sandwich."

Harry nodded, but was not completely convinced. "You're probably right. All the same, I'm going to go wait for her," he said.

Harry walked out of the Great Hall and stood near the door waiting. A fierce internal debate was raging inside him. A part of him said that if anyone could take care of themselves it was Ginny. The other part of him was worried sick. As the minutes ticked by, Harry's concern increased. He had just decided to go looking for her when he heard someone coming around the corner. Relief shot through him. That had to be Ginny.

He felt his alarm triple, however, when it was not Ginny who came around the corner, but a widely smirking Draco Malfoy.

"Out here all alone Potter? Where's that red-headed weasel you call a girlfriend? She leave you already?" he sneered.

"That's none of your business Malfoy. Now I suggest you and your little friends scamper off before I finish what I started yesterday on the train," Harry shot back.

"I was only trying to be friendly Potty," Malfoy said sounding anything but. "I was merely concerned about the littlest weasle's safety. I hope she hasn't met with some sort of... accident." An evil grin slashed across Malfoy's face. Harry's eyes widened.

"If you have touched one hair on her head Malfoy..." Harry growled.

Malfoy laughed and entered the Great Hall with Crabbe and Goyle following menacingly in his wake.

Harry didn't wait for the doors to close behind them before he tore off in search of Ginny.

A/N: I know... evil cliffy. I have the next chapter already written though and will submit it as soon as this one is aproved. Again thank you to Danielle the fabulous moderator, and to my son Will for being my beta. Also a HUGE thank you to all of you who have reviewed. You are awesome! Hope you liked this chapter. Thanks for reading. Please review.
Marked by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of JK Rowling.

Harry ran down the corridors towards the dungeon where Ginny had been for potions. He glanced in alcoves as he passed them, looking for any sign of her. He was most of he way to Snape's classroom when he spotted it, a splash of red hair sticking out from underneath a tapestry. Pushing the hanging back, he saw her.

Harry could tell from the way she was laying that she had been put in the full body bind. Her face was already bruising, and her hair was sticky with blood and clung in clumps to her face and forehead. Harry's heart nearly stopped until he saw the gentle rise of her chest. She was still alive.

"It'll be ok Ginny," he murmured. "I'm here now."

Kneeling next to her, he removed the full body bind. As gently as he could, he lifted her in his arms and headed for the hospital wing. Without even thnking about it, Harry blasted the doors of the infirmary open and raced in calling for Madam Pomfrey.

"What on earth..." she began and then saw Ginny. Her eyes widened. "Put her over here Potter and tell me what hapened."

"I'm not sure. I found her this way, only she had a body bind on her," Harry replied gently laying her on the nearest bed and brushing her hair off her face as best he could. That's when he saw it. Carved, for there was no other way to describe it, into the skin of her forehead was a jagged lightning bolt in exactly the same spot as Harry's scar.

Anger surged through him greater than any he'd ever felt. His reaction to Kreacher this summer even paled in comparison. His eyes blazed green fire and the air around him crackled with magic from his wrath.

"P-Potter?" Madame Pomfrey stammered taking an involuntary step backwards.

"Malfoy. Malfoy did this," Harry said coldly.

"Now Potter, don't do anything foolish," she pleaded. "She's going to be allright."

Harry ignored her and turned, leaving the hospital wing. He was vaguely aware of wide-eyed students scrambling out of his path as he strode down the hall cloaked in the sizzling green flame. Harry could feel the power coarsing through him as, with a flick of his hand he blasted the doors of the Great Hall off their hinges.

"Malfoy!" Harry thundered. He saw his prey's face drain of color, saw him begin to shake. The silence in the hall was defeaning as the few students who were finishing their lunch fled to the far corners of the room. Remus, Ron, and Hermione were desperately trying to make their way towards Harry, but they would not be in time. Another careless flick of his hand had Malfoy careening towards the ceiling.

"I told you not to touch her Malfoy," he said to the frantically wriggling Slytherin who was dangling precariously over the stone floor. "You hurt her. You marked her. You will not make that mistake again."

"Harry stop!" he heard Dumbledore call.

"No. He has to pay for what he has done. He hurt Ginny," Harry said in a deadly calm voice. He heard Snape trying to stun him, but the spell was absorbed by the power which surrounded him.

"He'll pay Harry, but not at your hands. I will not see another Marauder go to Azkaban. Put him down and come with me. Ginny needs you with her, not here. There is no going back from this Harry," the hoarse voice of Remus Lupin penetrated Harry's anger at last. Slowly, he lowered Malfoy to the ground where he lay in a shivering, sobbing heap.

Harry was doing his best to take deep calming breaths, allowing the fire which had engulfed him to slowly fade. It was only now that he become aware of all of the eyes in the hall which were watching. Only now that he realized a struggling Ron was being desperately held back by Hermione, Tonks, and Neville as he tried to get to Malfoy.

"You bastard Malfoy! What did you do to my sister?" Ron shouted as they dragged him from the room. "You had better be thanking whoever you hold sacred that the professors are here to save you!"

"Harry, come on," Remus said gently ushering him out of the Great Hall, and back towards the hospital wing and Ginny. When they arrived Ron, Hermione, Neville and Tonks were there waiting.

"What the hell hapened Harry?" Ron demanded. His red hair was standing on end, as if he' been impatiently running his hands through it as he waited on Harry to get there.

Harry quickly related everything that he knew. By the time he finished, Professor McGonnagall had arrived.

"The headmaster wants to see you Potter," she said gently. "You too Nymphadora."

"He's going to have to come here then because I am not leaving until I know how Ginny is doing," Harry said.

"Harry we'll watch over her, and let you know as soon as we hear anything," Remus said soothingly. "Go to the headmaster."

"No. I won't leave her, " Harry replied, all the agony he was feeling clearly visible in his eyes.

"Harry, you need to tell Professor Dumbledore what you know so that Malfoy can be dealt with," Hermione pleaded.

"We'll take care of her mate. We promise," said Ron, his voice tortured as he thought of what had happened to his baby sister. Harry finally relented and left to see the Headmaster, accompanied by Tonks.

"Canary Creams," she said when they arrived at the stone gargoyle. It slid slowly to the side, revealing the steps which led to Dumbledore's office. They climbed the stairs and entered the office, closing the door behind them.

"Have a seat both of you please," said Dumbledore tiredly, the usual twinkle gone from his eyes.

Harry sat down, somewhat nervous. "Professor, I'm sorry I lost control like that. Its just that when I saw what they did to Ginny... I've never been that angry in my life."

"I know Harry, but I don't think you realize just how astonishing all that you did was," he said quietly. "Tell me what happened from the beginning please."

Harry took another deep calming breath, just thinking about it stirred the embers of his anger. He then recounted, once again, what had happened, from the moment he felt the first sliver of fear, until he had brushed the hair from her face and saw the mark they had left.

"They did it so I knew, Headmaster. They did it because of me. I don't even really remember leaving the hopital wing. I just knew that someone had to pay for hurting her," he finished quietly.

"Harry, other than the time you blew up your aunt, have you ever done wandless magic like that before?" Dumbledore asked.

"I... no. I don't think so. Well, maybe little things, but nothing like today," Harry answered, his eyes wide. It hadn't even registered with him that he had not been using his wand. Dumbledore nodded.

"Harry, there have only been a handful of wizards who could do wandless magic with any real level of control, let alone do what you did today without even thinking about it. Voldemort is going to become very anxious when word of this reaches him, and I have no doubt it will. We may have to step up our training." said Dumbledore quietly.

"Yes sir," Harry said understanding. "Professor, what is going to happen to Malfoy?"

Dumbledore sighed and exchanged a glance with Tonks. "For now, he and Misters Crabbe and Goyle are confined to their common room. Professor Snape will be guarding them. Tonks will investigate the matter, which is why I asked her to be here. Unfortunately Harry, unless Ginny can tell us who did this, we have very little evidence. Mr. Malfoy and his friends are, of course, denying everything. We'll have to hope she saw her attackers and can remember what happened."

"You mean Malfoy could get away with this?" Harry raged.

"No Harry. I'm going to pin that little ferret to the wall, good and tight," said Tonks determinedly. "It just may take a while to get any evidence."

"But he did it! He practically told me!" said Harry.

"Without any real proof, we can't do anything. If we went around convicting anyone we believed to be guilty, there would be alot of innocent people in Azkaban. Just because Mr. Mafoy appears guilty, doesn't mean that he is," said Dumbldore.

Hary sighed, thinking of Sirius who had been sent to Azkaban without a trial. He knew they were right, but he hated it all the same.

"We'll get them Harry. Whoever did this to Ginny will pay," Tonks promised. Harry nodded.

"I believe I have kept you here long enough Mr. Potter. Why don't we go check on Miss Weasley," Professor Dumbledore said, rising and leading the way to Madame Pomfrey's domain.

By the time they got there, a crowd had assembled. Apparently, someone had informed the Weasleys of what had happened because they were there in full force.

"Where is Malfoy?" Fred demanded when the headmaster arrived.

"We'll only need a few minutes of his time," added George, pulling a lethal looking metal object from a pocket in his lurid green jacket.

"You two need to wait in line. Charlie and I are older," Bill said.

"That's enough boys. Sit down," Mrs. Weasley ordered.

"Harry got first dibs anyway. He had the little ferret dangling over the Great Hall bashing his head into the ceiling already," Ron muttered. "You were scary mate. When you blasted open the doors and came into the hall all covered in green fire like a giant phoenix, I thought Malfoy was going to mess himself. "

Harry looked down uncomfortably. He had worked so hard to gain control over his emotions. He had not only lost that control today, but had done so spectacularly in front of the whole school.

"You ok, Harry?" Remus asked.

Harry nodded mutely, knowing he was lying to his guardian. He would not be ok until he knew for sure that Ginny was allright. Mrs. Weasley must have sensed that, the way all mothers do, because she wrapped Harry in one of her trademark hugs.

The rustling of the curtain which surrounded Ginny's bed had everyone turning to look, as Madam Pomfrey bustled out.

"Well Poppy?" Dumbledore asked.

"She's going to be fine once she heals Headmaster. In addition to the cuts and bruises on her face, both of her arms were broken, as well as several of her ribs. One of the ribs punctured her lungs. The bones and lungs are healing as we speak, and I managed to get rid of the bruising on her face. She is very lucky Mr. Potter found her when he did. Had he not, I shudder to think what would have happened," Madame Pomfrey answered.

"What about... the cut? The one on her forehead like... like my scar?" Harry asked.

Madam Pomfrey shook her head, her eyes filled with an odd mix of sympathy for Harry and rage at whomever was responsible for Ginny's injuries.

"I've healed it as best I can, but I'm afraid it's going to leave a scar," she said gently. "They must have been using an enchanted blade of some sort when they did it."

Harry felt his anger begin to flare once more and did his best to ruthlessly stamp it down. Nonetheless, the potion bottles nearby began to shake, and one shattered in a burst of tinkling glass. Harry closed his eyes, taking deep breaths as he fought with himself, finally managing to bring his emotions under control again.

"Can we see her?" Mr. Weasley asked.

Madam Pomfrey nodded. "She's not awake yet, but yes you may. Only a few at a time however."

She led Mr. and Mrs. Weasley back through the curtains. Harry walked over to stare sightlessly out of one of the windows. Everyone took turns going in to see Ginny. Harry waited to be the last. As much as he wanted to rush in there, he felt that he needed the time to get himself more firmly in conrol.

"Harry?" Hermione said quietly. "It's your turn."

Harry turned away from the windows to look at Hermione's pale teary face. Hermione returned his gaze solemnly before wrapping him in a quick hug. Taking a deep breath, once again striving to reign in his anger, fear, and guilt, Harry parted the curtains and stepped through them to Ginny's side.

Whew! Long chappie. Hope you enjoyed this one. Thanks again to my moderator Danielle the Awesome, as well as all of my fabulous reviewers. Thanks for reading and please make sure to review.
Memories and Dreams by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of JK Rowling.

Ginny's vibrant red hair was spread out around her in startling contrast to the stark white sheets and her pale, almost translucent skin. Harry was sharply reminded of his second year at Hogwarts when he'd found Ginny, so white and still, in the Chamber of Secrets. She had almost died that day. It scared him to think about it now. Had he not saved her then, he would have lost her before he had even realized how much he cared for her.

He sat down next to her and brushed her hair back from her face. He felt so helpless. He was supposed to be the savior of the wizarding world. The Prophecy said so. Dumbledore said so. Why then could he not keep the people he loved safe? His parents were dead. Sirius was dead. Ginny, his bold, brave Ginny, lay here broken and bruised. Even the Dursleys, who he wasn't sure he could say he truly loved, were gone, or as good as.

Harry thought of his Aunt Petunia then. He wondered if she had noticed that his visits had stopped. The healers at St. Mungo's had encouraged Harry to come see her when he could. They said that she seemed calmer after her saw her. He remembered that they also told him that he should talk to her when he was there. They seemed to think that this would help, like Harry could talk her back into sanity somehow. Harry had, as a result, spent each of his visits talking to her. He never really remembered what he had said afterwards, he had just rambled, and hoped it helped.

He looked at Ginny again, wondering if he could somehow talk her back. He knew Madame Pomfrey had said she would be fine, but he couldn't stand to see her laying there, so lifeless, like that. He was, he reflected, willing to try anything. He began to speak.

At first, it was just about trivial things like how classes had been that day, but soon he found himself pouring out his soul. He told Ginny things that he had never told anyone. He told her about being locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the first time. He had not yet been three and was terrified of the dark. He remembered he had cried for his Mum and Dad. Uncle Vernon had come in then. He had beaten him and told him that the more he cried the longer he would be there. Harry had stopped crying after that. He had also given up hope of ever seeing his parents again. It was his earliest memory with the Dursleys. He told her other things too. He told her about his birthdays, about how he'd always thought that he must've been naughty as a child because he'd never received gifts from St. Nicholas. In the end, he'd given up on believing in St. Nicholas as well.

All of Harry's memories weren't bad ones, however, and he shared these with her too. He told her about the enjoyment he had gotten from playing with Dudley's cast off toy soldiers. He would set them up and have great battles on the floor of his cupboard when he was little. He told her about receiving his Hogwarts letter, meeting Hagrid, and his first trip to Diagon Alley. He told her how worried he had been that he would not fit in here either, until he met Ron, his first ever friend, on the Hogwarts Express. He shared with Ginny the simple rush of joy he'd felt the first time he flew on a broom, and the satisfaction he got from feelng his fingers close around the snitch. He told her about his first meeting with Sirius and the brief moment of hope he'd had at the thought of leaving Privet Drive and living with his godfather.

Harry even told her all of his hopes and dreams, things he rarely if ever allowed himself to dwell on. He told her how he wanted to be an auror, how he would fix up Grimmauld Place and make it a beautiful, happy home. They would live there with their family. They could visit the Burrow every Sunday for dinner and their children would never, ever doubt that they were loved.

He was a little shocked when he realized how easily and automatically he had stuck Ginny into his vision of the future. He knew that he would never be able to tell her these things when she was awake, not yet anyway. They were too young, their relationship too new. Their world was at war and he still had to face Voldemort. Harry also knew that he would store these dreams away. They would become his hope, his reason for going on when all else seemed lost.

All at once the events of the day caught up to him as his exhaustion pressed in. He had barely slept the night before and had expended a great deal of magic in his earlier anger. A part of him also realized that he was drained from the torrent of words and emotions which had come pouring out to the sleeping Ginny. He reached out and very gently, so as not to jostle her healing arm, took her hand. He then rested his head against the back of the chair and allowed his eyes to slowly drift closed.

"Did you like my gift for you Potter?" the high cold voice hissed. "She's gotten quite pretty, our Miss Weasley, even with the message my loyal servants left on her forehead."

"Our Miss Weasley Tom? That's a bit presumptous don't you think?" Harry asked, marveling to himself that he was so bold as to refer to Voldemort by his true name as he had heard Dumbledore do. He allowed himself a small satisfied smile.

"Have you forgotten that she was once mine Harry? She will be again you know," Voldemort said tauntingly.

Harry laughed then. "I hardly think so. She is not the same shy, lovestruck little girl she was then. She is strong and independent. She will not be tricked by you again and she will never come to you willingly."

"Do you really think she's strong enough to resist Lord Voldemort boy? I'll see her grovel before me and she will cheer your death when I kill you."

Harry could feel the anger in Voldemort, could tell the conversation was not going the way the Dark Lord had expected it to. Harry was supposed to be cowering in fear, supposed to be plagued with doubts about Ginny. He wasn't though. He had faith in Ginny, faith in the love that they shared. He was tired of himself and those he loved being victims and he knew that Voldemort's threats were empty. More than all of that though, Harry was angry... powerfully, toweringly angry because now he knew. Voldemort had been the one to order Ginny's attack. He had been the one to lure Harry to the Department of Mysteries and cause Sirius' death. He had been the one to take Harry's parents from him. Voldemort would be the one on which Harry would release his anger.

"I'm tired of this conversation Tom. If you are not going to do anything but repeat your idle threats, you may leave," Harry said in an icy cold voice. He then allowed all of his anger to be unleashed and directed at the Dark Lord, pushing him out of his mind.

This was not enough for Harry this time, however. He decided that this time Voldemort should have to deal with the agony Harry felt with these intrusions. He concentrated all of his thoughts on the searing pain he felt in his scar, the pain that only Voldemort could bring. He reveled in it, harnassed it, and sent it back to it's source. Harry could feel the Dark Lord collapse under the weight of it.

"Now stay out of my head Tom. Your mind games don't work with me anymore," Harry snarled.


He broke the link then, slamming shut the barriers in his mind, and coming back to consciousness with a rush. Slowly, he opened his eyes to find himself staring into the shocked and frightened faces of his family and friends, the green flames around him fading once again.

Hope you enjoyed that. Thank you for reading and, hopefully, reviewing. As always, thanks to Danielle my wonderful moderator, Will my son and beta, and all of you fabulous people who review.
Control by Weasley Mom
A/N: The characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

"Harry are you allright?" Remus asked his voice somewhat shaky.

"I... yes... I think so," Harry replied, noticing for the first time that crystalline shards of glass littered the floor of the hospital wing. "W-what happened? Did I... I didn't hurt anyone did I?"

"No Harry. Fortunately no one was near any of the windows when they shattered. As to what happened, I suspect that you can answer that question better than any of us can," Professor Dumbledore said.

"It was... I was dreaming," Harry stuttered. "No, actually I don't think it was a dream. Voldemort was here. He was in my head."

Dumbledore exchanged a worried look with Remus, before returning his gaze to Harry.

"What do you mean he was in your head Harry?" Remus asked gently.

"He talked to me. It wasn't like the dreams where I can see what he's thinking or feeling. He actually spoke to me," Harry said frowning as he tried to relate exactly what he'd seen and felt.

"What did he say?" Dumbledore asked.

"He told me that he had ordered the attack on Ginny. He said it was a gift to me. Then he said..." Harry hesitated eyeing the concerned faces of all of the Weasleys.

"Go on Harry," Remus prompted gently.

"He said that Ginny had become very beautiful and that he had had her under his control before and that she would be again. He said that she would kneel before him and cheer my death," he almost whispered.

"Oh my baby," Mrs. Weasley gasped as Bill and Mr. Weasley moved to support her.

"I told him he was wrong," Harry continued his voice much more firm. "I told him that Ginny was not the same girl he had known then and that she would never be his. Then I got angry."

Harry looked at Dumbledore then, not sure how the headmaster would react to what he had done. The old man seemed to sense this however and fixed Harry with a penetrating gaze which bade him to continue.

"I'm tired of being his victim. I'm tired of seeing those I love being hurt and getting killed. I decided that I needed to send him a message," Harry said raising his chin defiantly and looking his mentor in the eye. Dumbledore shook his head and sighed.

"What did you do Harry?" he asked wearily.

"I told him that if all he was going to do was issue more of his idle threats then he should bloody well get out of my head because his mind games would no longer work with me. Then I kicked him out. That was not enough though. I decided he deserved to experience a taste of the pain that I've had to deal with. He had hurt so many people. He hurt the one person I care about more than anyone else in this world. He marked her, the way he did me. He deserved it," Harry said.

"What did you do Harry?" Dumbledore asked again, this time with some trepidation.

"I focused on the pain. The pain in my scar, the pain of loss, and anger and guilt, I focused on it all. I gathered it all up and I sent it all back at him. I felt him collapse under it. I felt him gasping and wretching on the floor as he tried to shut his mind away from me. I felt his fear. I know it probably wasn't what you would have wanted me to do sir, but somehow I know that it was right. I cannot and I will not feel any guilt or regret about it," he said simply, a look of steely determination in his eyes. Dumbledore sat quietly for a moment, then nodded, a small smile creeping across his face.

"Well if nothing else Harry I think you have probably discouraged him from ever doing that again. You've also, most likely, made him rethink his plans which gives us time to prepare. While I'd much rather he didn't know about this new turn your powers have taken, I suspect we couldn't have kept it hidden for long anyway."

"Professor what did I do? How did the windows get broken like that?" Harry asked tentatively. It was Ron, however who answered.

"You should have seen it mate. We were all out here just kind of waiting on you to come out when the whole room started to glow green. Professor Lupin was the first to get to you though. He ripped back the curtain and there you were, all covered in that wierd green fire again. It was all around Ginny too like you were trying to protect her."

"We tried to get to you, to wake you Harry, but we couldn't," Hermione added. Ron nodded.

"It was like trying to get through a brick wall. Professor Dumbledore couldn't even get to you," he said. "Then BAM there was this wave of... i dunno what it was. I could feel it pass through me though."

"Then all of the windows started shattering, and the potion bottles all shook. It's a good thing Madame Pomfrey put an unbreakable charm on them or they'd probably have burst too," Hermione said. Harry's eyes widened as he tried to take in all that had hapened.

"Wait, I shielded Ginny too? It didn't hurt her did it?" Harry asked, panicking slightly at the thought. He turned quickly back to her, only to see her sleeping peacefully, a slight smile on her face.

"She seems to be fine Potter," said Madame Pomfrey gently to the obviously worried young man.

"Thank you Harry," Mrs. Weasley said softly. "Thank you for saving her again, and thank you for protecting her."

Harry blushed, looking down shyly. He was not good at talking about his feelings. He felt, however, that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, all of the Weasleys, should know that Ginny would be safe.

"I love her Mrs. Weasley. I'll protect her with my life," he said quietly. Mrs. Weasley hugged him to her fiercely.

"We know that son. Ginny feels the same way about you," said Mr. Weasley patting him on the back.

"I suppose you'll do Potter," said Bill grinning slightly.

"Better than Corner," said Fred.

"Or Thomas. Harry just might be worthy of our sister," said George.

"Of course, you hurt her, and we will hunt you down," said Charlie.

"Even if you are my best friend," added Ron.

"All right you lot. Leave Harry alone. Why don't you all go down to the Great Hall and see if you can find something to eat?" said Mrs. Weasley much to Harry's relief.

"You should eat as well Mrs. Weasley. You too Mr. Weasley," said Hermione gently. "It's past time for dinner. Why don't we all go down to he kitchens and see what can be found?"

"Excellent idea Ms. Granger. Minerva and Tonks, if you would be so good as to accompany them? Oh and have Dobby bring up some food for Harry, Remus, and myself if you would," Dumbledore said kindly.

"I can't leave Ginny," Mrs. Weasley protested.

"Molly, I hardly think anything will happen to her with both Dumbledore and Harry here, not to mention Remus," Mr. Weasley said before gently steering her out of the hospital wing.

"Poppy, would you mind leaving us as well?" Dumbledore asked. With a sigh, Madame Pomfrey stomped off to her office
muttering under her breath about people usurping her domain.

"Harry are you certain that you are allright?" Dumbledore asked, the concern evident in his voice.

"Yes sir. I believe so. I'm a bit tired but otherwise, I think I'm fine," Harry shrugged.

"That's to be expected. You've expended a great deal of magic today, not to mention the emotional toll you have paid," the headmaster responded.

"I am sort of worried though sir," Harry struggled for a moment to put what he was thinking into words. "I only seem to be able to do this when I'm angry... really angry."

"And you are concerned that because anger is a negative emotion, that what you are doing is dark magic?" Dumbledore asked. Harry nodded, relieved to have his fears out in the open.

"I don't believe what you are doing is dark magic. Yes, it has manifested so far with your anger, but that anger has been motivated by love. I believe that, with practice you will gain more control and that, by focusing on the positive emotions, you may be capable of even more than we have seen today," the professor said, smiling reassuringly at Harry.

"There is one more thing sir. What if I lose control and hurt someone without meaning to? Should I even be here at school, around everyone?" Harry asked.

"I had many of the same thoughts at school Harry," Remus said quietly. "I will tell you the same thing your father told me when I mentioned them to him. You deserve to have the chance at a normal life as much as anyone else does. You have been through more in your life than anyone I know, and you have dealt with it with strength and dignity. We will work on your control if it makes you feel better, but you must remember, these were extreme circumstances today. Give yourself a break."

Dumbledore smiled. "Your father was a wise man Harry. I think perhaps we should resume your occlumency as permitted with your other commitments. In addition to helping you control your anger, I have a feeling that it will aid you in controlling your wandless magic as well. I believe we will work on some more advanced techniques also."

"When do you think..." Harry began, but was interrupted by a low moan from the nearby hospital bed. He quickly turned and was by her side in seconds.

"Welcome back beautiful," Harry said gently, tears in his eyes.

"H-harry?" she croaked in a voice made rough from sleep. "Where am I? What happened?"

"It's ok love, you're safe. How are you feeling?" he said, lightly kissing her forehead, where the white bandage showed starkly.

"Sore," she said licking her lips. Then again asked, "What happened?"

"You are in the hospital wing because you were attacked Miss Weasley. Mr. Potter found you early this afternoon and brought you here. You gave us quite a scare young lady," Dumbledore said kindly.

"Gin, do you remember what happened? Who did this to you?" Harry asked.

As Ginny looked up at them, Harry could see her struggling to remember. He saw her eyes widen and she began to speak.

Yep that's right evil cliffie. Hope you enjoyed this one. As always thanks for reading and please review. Thanks also to Danielle for moderating and my son Will for being my beta. Thank you as well for all of the wonderful reviews that I have been receiving.
Ginny's Tale by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling, with the exception of Marcus Parkinson. This chapter takes place the morning of Ginny's attack and the events unfold as seen through her eyes.



"We'd better get moving if we're going to get decent seats in transfiguration," Hermione said noticing that people were starting to leave and head to their classes. They all rose and began to collect their things.

Ginny sighed. Why did it have to be potions today? She really hated potions, or, more specifically, she really hated the potions master, Professor Severus Snape. He had always been awful to her, and knowing how he felt about Harry, would probably be even worse now that she and Harry were dating.

She smiled slightly to herself. She was dating Harry! She could still dance at the thought even though they had been seeing each other most of the summer. It all seemed rather unreal sometimes. She'd loved him since the first moment she saw him, before she even knew that he was Harry Potter. He had looked so lost and alone, and she had known that she never wanted him to feel that way again. He had won her heart that day just by walking up to her Mum and asking for help.

A hand on her shoulder made her jump, and she turned to look into eyes that she had once, embarassingly enough, compared to pickled toads.

"You were a million miles away just now. What were you thinking of?" Harry asked smiling.

"Pickled toads," she said grinning impishly and causing Harry to blush. She loved when he did that.

"I'll deal with you later," he said grinning now as well. "Meet me back here for lunch?"

"Of course," Ginny replied, and then made a face as she remembered. "That's assuming Snape doesn't decide to poison us all in potions."

Harry laughed and then pecked her on the cheek before following Ron and an impatient Hermione out of the hall.

Ginny left the hall as well, and headed for potions, wishing, as she frequently did, that she was in the same year as Ron, Hermione, and Harry. She moved among the other Gryffindor fifth years chatting and laughing. She was friendly with all of them, although not particularly close with anyone but Colin Creevey. They liked to joke that they had bonded over their hero worship of Harry.

"So... Ginny Weasley finally gets her man?" Colin joked as they walked.

Ginny grinned. "More like Ginny Weasley's man finally noticed she was alive."

Colin laughed. "I take it you had a good summer then?"

"Yeah you could say that. What about you? How was your summer Colin?" she asked.

"I was hoping you'd ask," he said grinning. "It was great! My summer internship at The Quibbler was fascinating. I got to go on assignment and everything. I even got one of my pictures published. Thanks for getting that set up with Luna for me."

"No problem. That's what friends are for after all," said Ginny.

They had reached the potions classroom at last and quickly found seats. Ginny got her cauldron and other supplies ready. If she had learned nothing else since first year, it was to be seated and quiet when Snape made one of his grand entrances. The man was such a drama queen, or whatever the male version of that was.

The doors of the dungeons banged open and Professor Snape strode into the room, his robes bilowing about him in typical bat-like fashion. The classroom settled into an almost eerie quiet upon his entrance.

"Before we begin today's lesson," said Snape coldly, "I wish to remind you that in just a few short months you will be sitting for one of the most important examinations of your school careers. It is these examinations which will prove how much you do, or do not, know about the use and brewing of potions. Incompetent as so many of you are," Snape paused here to glare at the Gryffindors, "I expect you all to achieve no less than an 'acceptable' on your potion's OWLs. Should you not achieve the high standards I have come to expect, I will become most... displeased."

Ginny rolled her eyes, unfortunately Snape caught her.

"Do you have something you'd like to add Weasley?" he hissed.

"No Professor," Ginny said sweetly, all the while thinking, "Why don't you go wash your hair Snivellus."

Snape's eyes narrowed into a glare before he continued.

"This will be the last year many of you wll be spending with me, as I only accept those who achieve an Outstanding on their OWLs into my NEWT classes. Unfortunately, we still have this year to go before that happy day, so I suggest you all concentrate on achieving the high level I expect of you." Snape's eyes once again swept contemptuously over the room before he continued.

"Today we shall be preparing The Draught of Peace, which is a potion you may expect to see on your OWLs. This potion, is used to calm the nerves and to sooth anxiety, when mixed improperly however, it can send the drinker into a heavy, and possibly irreversible sleep. I reccommend that you all pay close attention to the directions which are on the board," said Snape, flicking his wand and causing the instructions and ingredients to appear there.

"You will find all of the components in the cabinet over there. You have exactly 90 minutes in which to complete it. You may start."

Ginny hastily gathered her ingredients and began to carefully and meticulously prepare the potion, as the professor began to stroll through the room assisting the Slytherins and criticizing the Gryffindors. Ginny was actually quite gifted at potions, despite this, Snape always seemed to find some reason to demean her work. By the end of the alloted time, Ginny's potion was finished and absolutely perfect. A light silver haze rose off of it, just as it was supposed to. Thus far, Snape had found nothing about it to criticize. Ginny smiled happily and reached for her flask to fill it.

"Hello Weasley," said a nasal, snobby sounding voice that she recognized only too well.

"Parkinson, what do you want?" Ginny hissed. Marcus Parkinson had been the bane of her existance since first year. He had gone out of his way to tease, taunt, and torment Ginny whenever he could. She, quite simply, hated him.

"Just wanted to offer my congratulations on landing Potter. You know, he's quite wealthy I hear. If you two marry then maybe your family will be able to add a second room to that hovel you call house," he smirked. Ginny felt her ears go red and saw Colin tense besde her as she struggled with her famous Weasley temper.

"Shove off Parkinson," Colin spat.

"Make me mudblood," the other boy, who was built similarly to Crabbe and Goyle murmured, his smirk still in place. Ginny put a restraining hand on Colin's arm before turing to face Marcus.

"You know Parkinson, since we're offering congratulations, let me be the first to offer mine to your family. I hear that a big announcement is expected regarding a union between Draco and Pansy. I'm sure their puppies will be adorable," said Ginny, referring to the previous night's prank. All traces of a smile vanished from the Slytherin's face.

"Filthy blood traitor," he sneered before sweeping his arm and knocking Ginny's cauldron, with it's perfectly brewed potion, to the floor.

"Weasley! What is the meaning of this?" the potion's master snapped.

"It was Parkinson sir. He..." Ginny began.

"Silence Miss Weasley. Ten points from Gryffindor and you will be receiving a zero on today's assignment. Next time, I suggest that you pay more attention to what you are doing and less time daydreaming about your love life with Mr. Potter. Now, clean this mess up... without magic. The rest of you may turn in your assignments and go."

Fuming, Ginny began to clean the spill up, wishing desperately that she could hit Snape with her bat-bogey hex just once.

"Want some help Gin?" Colin asked, sending her a sympathetic look.

"No, that's ok Colin. No sense in both of us being late for lunch. Can you let Harry know where I am if he asks though?" she replied.

"Sure thing," said Colin, grabbing the last of his things and heading out of the dungeon.

By the time Ginny had the potion cleaned up and was able to head to the Great Hall for lunch, the corridors were mostly empty. She rushed down the echoing halls with her head down, muttering things about Snape's dubious parentage and affection for goats. She was still furious with him for his treatment of her, the great, greasy-haired git.

As she passed a tapestry of Wendolyn the Wierd laughing as she was being burnt at the stake, she felt a hand reach out and grasp her around the mouth. Her cauldron and books scattered as Ginny began to try to kick and claw her attacker. She was determined to get away, but a pair of extremely strong arms held her nearly immomible despite her best efforts. She felt a wand pressed to her throat.

"Cease your struggling blood traitor," a muffled voice behind and slightly to her right hissed. Ginny looked desperately around for someone, anyone to help her, but the corridor was empty except for the two black robed and hooded figures who had moved around to stand in front of her, and the third who still held her tightly.

"Death eaters!" Ginny thought frantically. "Harry! Harry help me!"

"We have a message from the Dark Lord to Harry Potter," the strangely muffled voice hissed again. "I know you'll make sure he gets it." The speaker, who seemed to be the leader, nodded and Ginny felt the arms which had held her loosen and let go. As she tensed to run, the spells hit her.

"Silencio!"

"Crucio!"

Ginny fell to the floor in agony, dimly realizing her head hit the nearby wall on the way down. The pain from that was infintesimal compared to the searing, white hot fire that lacerated her nerves and made her skin feel as if it were blistering and peeling away. She also felt an intense pressure as if a nearly unbearable weight had been placed upon her. She writhed in agony, silently screaming as she felt her ribs and arms snap and her lungs collapsing.

Just as suddenly as it started, the pain was gone. Ginny struggled to rise, gasping for air. She had to get away. She had to get to Harry. She heard one of the death eaters laugh softly at her efforts.

"Oh we're not done yet. We can't have you getting away before we've delivered the full mesage. Petrificus Totalus!"

Ginny's arms and legs snapped together, causing even more pain as her broken arms were compelled to her sides. She saw a flash of silver as the leader withdrew a wicked looking blade from the folds of his robe. He moved over to Ginny, kneeling beside her.

"Tell Potter that no one is safe from the Dark Lord. Everyone near him will die," the voice hissed again, as the knife was raised over his head. Ginny heard him murmur something and felt the tip of the dagger pierce the skin of her forehead, felt the searing burn as he cut, felt the warm, sticky trickle of her own blood as it slowly ran down her face. Unable to move, unable to scream she felt the darkness closing in around her. The last thing she saw before giving into it was a pair of cold silver-blue eyes glinting from the slits in the death eater's mask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ginny swam slowly back to consciousness to the low murmur of voices. Unfortunately, the return of awareness brought with it the return of pain. She let out a low moan and opened her eyes, struggling to get her bearings.

"Welcome back beautiful," she heard a familiar, much loved voice say. Turning her head slightly, she saw Harry, smiling despite the tears in his eyes.

"H-harry?" she croaked in a voice made rough from sleep. "Where am I? What happened?"

"It's ok love, you're safe. How are you feeling?" he said, lightly kissing her forehead. She realized her head was bandaged and she had to be in the hospital wing, but she had no idea why or how she had gotten there.

"Sore," she said truthfully, licking her dry lips. Then again asking, "What happened?"

"You are in the hospital wing because you were attacked Miss Weasley. Mr. Potter found you early this afternoon and brought you here. You gave us quite a scare young lady," Dumbledore said kindly. Ginny hadn't even realized that Dumbledore was in the room, looking byond him, she saw that Professor Lupin was there as well.

"Gin, do you remember what happened? Who did this to you?" Harry asked.

Ginny looked up at them, struggling to remember. Her mind reeled as images came flooding in. Potions, Marcus Parkinson being his usual charming self, her anger at Snape, and then...

"Oh my God!" Ginny sobbed as it all came back to her. The pain, the agony, the messages for Harry. She reached out for Harry and clung to him.

"It was death eaters Harry. They...they wanted me to deliver a message to you. They said to tell you no one was safe, that they were going to kill everyone you loved. They p-perfromed the crucio and then put me in a full body bind. They had a knife and..." Ginny took a deep shuddering breath.

"It's ok Ginny. You don't have to think about it anymore. You're safe now and they will pay for what they did to you. I will make them feel ten times whatever pain they made you feel," Harry said, striving once again to control his anger, feverishly going through everything he had learned in occlumency.

"I'm sorry Miss Weasley, but I have to ask," Dumbledore said gently, despite the obvious anger in his eyes. "Did you recognize any of them?"

Ginny pulled away from Harry, nodding. "Yes sir. I saw the leader's eyes. I think it was Draco Malfoy."

So now you know for sure. Hope you enjoyed this one, thank you for reading and please review. Thanks also to my wonderful moderator Danielle and my fabulous beta and son Will. Thank you to all of you have reviewed, please continue to do so.
Bump in the Night by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.


Harry stood looking out the newly repaired windows of the hospital wing at the moonlit grounds below. He knew he should be sleeping. He, Ron, and Hermione had all been sent back to Gryffindor Tower when the Weasleys had gone home and had been firmly ordered by McGonnagall to get some rest. Marauder that he was, Harry had snuck back as soon as everyone was asleep. His emotions were too close to the surface to even consider sleeping right now, besides he needed to be here with Ginny.

He thought back to earlier in the evening when he and Mrs. Weasley had stood by Ginny as she had recounted for Tonks all that had happened during the attack. Harry had felt like his heart was being ripped in two, and had been forced to go through every meditation and occlumency technique he had been taught to stay calm. It was only the desperate grip that Ginny had kept on his hand which had stopped him from going straight to the Slytherin common room and, as slowly and painfully as possible, beating every last ounce of life out of Malfoy.

When it was over, Ginny had cried in her mum's arms, while Harry stood by silently vowing that no one would ever hurt her like that again. Tonks had immediately summoned Kingsley and a small team of aurors to remove Malfoy from the castle. Harry suspected that at least part of the reason for Tonks desire for haste was to keep the Weasley brothers from disposing of the Slytherin. As it was, they insisted on following the prisoner and his escort until they left Hogwarts grounds.

"Malfoy might oblige us and try to escape," Fred had said grimly, lovingly fingering one of the sharp pointy instruments which he likd to produce whenever he felt like threatening someone.

Harry turned away from the window and walked over to Ginny's bed. To his suprise, she was awake and watching him.

"You should be asleep," he said gently.

"Oh and you shouldn't?" Ginny retorted with a trace of her normal impishness.

"Since when I have I ever done what I should Gin?" he asked.

"Good point," she giggled before turning more serious. "Harry?"

"Yeah?" he said.

"Ron and Hermione told me what you did... with Malfoy I mean. They also told me how all of the hospital windows got broken," Ginny said. Harry looked down.

"I just got so mad when I saw what they did to you. I couldn't stand to see you like that and it was all my fault. God Ginny! I've been through a crucio and when I think of that happening to you... I never wanted you to feel that. You've got a scar now because of me. You've been permanently changed because of me. You would be so much better off if I weren't in your life," Harry said sadly.

"How can you think that Harry? You've saved my life twice now. I was not attacked because of you. I was attacked because Voldemort is an evil bastard. My whole family is in the Order. I'm a target with or without you and furthermore Harry James Potter I know what my life was like without you in it and it was most definately not better. I love you you big stupid ... git!" Ginny said fiercely, her famous Weasley temper clearly ignited.

"I love you too Gin, but..." Harry shook his head. Ginny looked at him for a moment as if trying to decide something. Finally, she spoke.

"You know while I was unconscious, I had a dream. I was walking in the clearing near the Burrow where we practice quidditch. At first I was alone. The sun was really warm and I could hear birds singing. It was so peaceful. I'm not sure where she came from, she was just...there. She told me that I couldn't stay. I had to go back because you needed me. She made me promise to not let you pull away and to tell you that she loved you," Ginny said quietly.

"Who?" Harry said and then his eyes widened. "Mum?"

"I think so Harry. She looked like the pictures I've seen of her. The next thing I remember was being in the hospital wing, but it was like I was looking down on it. You were sitting next to me. You were holding my hand and talking," she said.

"Y-you heard what I said?" he stuttered blushing. Ginny nodded.

"Every word of it. You know, you can't make promises like that to a girl and then change your mind. I expect you to take care of this business with Voldemort so we can have our happily ever after, and don't you even think about trying to wriggle out of it."

"Yes ma'am," he said smiling shyly. He leaned over and kissed her gently, marveling at how she could get him to go from tortured and despairing to ecstatic and hopeful so quickly. Ginny scooted over and patted the bed next to her. Harry shot her a rather startled look which caused her to giggle again.

"I'm not some scarlet woman trying to seduce you Harry. You just look ready to drop and I know that I am. I'll sleep better with you here. It makes me feel safer," Ginny said pleadingly, a flicker of the fear she refused to acknowledge showing in her eyes.

"Allright, but only for a little while and you get to explain to your brothers if they catch us," Harry said as he climbed in next to her. Ginny immediately snuggled up to him sighing and was soon asleep. Lulled by the warmth of their closeness and the gentle sound of her breathing, Harry quickly followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He had read the report as soon as it came in and immediately came down to the cells, after stopping to borrow an invisibility cloak from the department of magical law enforcement. Then he had sat and waited as the sounds of the Ministry died around him. He knew that the guards only made rounds once during the night, even though they were supposed to do so hourly. The rest of the night, they spent socializing in the office at the far end of the detention block.

He had seen the prisoner brought in, angered at the way, even in chains, his arrogance shown through.

"This is ridiculous. My family will have me out in the morning and I will be back at Hogwart's before the week is up. You have no proof I have done anything you fools!" the boy had spat contemptuously at his guards.

Malfoy lay on his cot now, buffing his nails on his cloak and sighing boredly. All was finally quiet, time for the hidden prescence in the cell to make his move.

"You know Malfoy, I've always been the good boy. I've followed every rule, every law to the letter, regardless of whether or not I really believed in them. It's the way I have lived my life, and I was proud of it. Recent events have caused me to question that. My brothers have always told me that rules are meant to be broken. I never believed that, never understood how they could feel that way... until now."

"Guards!" Malfoy bellowed. "Guards there is someone in here with me! Help me!"

"Too bad they can't hear you. I put a soundproofing charm on the cell," the voice hissed from the darkness. He heard Malfoy's wimpers and smiled grimly.

"You touched my sister. You hurt her and I know that my family will not find justice from the Ministry. Like you said, you'll be out by morning and back at Hogwarts before the week is up. I have always followed the law Malfoy. I have always believed in it, but in your case... in your case I have decided to make an exception," Percy said as he stepped out of the shadows of the cell and slammed his fist into Draco Malfoy's face.

A/N: Hope you liked this one, even without an evil cliffie at the end. Huge thank yous go out to Danielle for moderating, to my son for being my beta, and to all of you wonderful people who review.
Back to Normal by Weasley Mom
A/N: All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.


Harry awoke in the grey half-light before dawn smiling as he felt Ginny snuggled up to him. He gently eased his arm out from underneath her and slid out of bed. He grabbed his invisibility cloak from the chair where he had left it the night before and threw it around himself. After checking to make sure that he was completely covered, he bent down and gave Ginny a quick peck on the cheek and then silently headed for Gryffindor Tower.

He gave the password to the Fat Lady and stealthily made his way to the sixth year dormitories. Once there, it only took him a moment to stow his cloak away and climb into his four poster. Sighing, he snuggled into the covers and closed his eyes, wanting to get some more sleep before his morning classes.

"So how's my sister doing Harry?" Ron asked from his behind the curtains of his bed.

"Uh... I...we..." Harry stuttered. He heard Ron chuckle.

"I saw you sneek out. I know you spent the night in the hospital wing mate, so you might as well give it up. After staying up half the night, I have decided not to hurt you, but only because I know you would never take advantage of her like that. Now how is she?"

Harry smiled, relieved. "She's fine Ron. She was sleeping when I left."

"Good. I'm going back to sleep. Night," Ron said and the room grew quiet once again. Harry snuggled back into his blankets and was starting to drift off, when he was interrupted once again.

"Hey Harry?" This time the voice belonged to Neville Longbottom.

"Yes Nev?" Harry answered, trying to stifle a yawn.

"I'm glad Ginny's ok. If anyone had done something like that to Luna, I don't know what I would do," Neville said quietly.

"Thanks Neville. Hopefully, you'll never have to find out," Harry said. Silence once again settled on the room, and Harry let his eyes start to drift close.

"Hey Harry?" Seamus' said, jolting Harry from his near slumber.

"Yes Seamus?"

"How'd you do that yesterday? You know, with Malfoy?" Seamus asked. "You didn't even have your wand out."

"Shut up Finnegan!" Ron said.

"No, it's ok Ron. I have no idea how I did it actually. All I remember is being more angry than I have ever been in my life and then it sort of just happened," Harry answered really wishing he had stayed in the hospital wing now.

"Remind me never to make you mad," Seamus murmured. Harry heard Ron throw something, probably a pillow, in Seamus' direction. Everyone settled back down, and Harry was almost asleep when the final occupant of the room spoke.

"Hey Harry?"

"Yes Dean?" said Harry sighing in exasperation.

"Nothing. I was just feeling left out," Dean said grinning.

"I give up!" Harry groaned. "I'm going back to the hospital wing. You coming Ron?"

"Yeah might as well. We're obviously not going to get any sleep with this lot," Ron replied, looking decidedly grumpy.

"Hey!" Seamus protested. "You two are the ones who woke us up. Remember?" This time it was Harry who threw the pillow at him.

Ron and Harry, making as much noise as they could, got dressed. They headed down to the common room and out the portrait hole to the hospital wing, narrowly avoiding Mrs. Norris along the way. They arrived to find Ginny not only awake, but up and dressed.

"What in the bloody hell do you think you are doing Ginevra Weasley? You have been through a traumatic experience. You should be in bed resting," Ron shouted as his overprotective brother instincts kicked in. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"For your information Ronald, I'm fine. Madame Pomfrey checked on me a minute ago. My bones are all mended and my lungs have healed. I've been cleared for classes, so quit shouting at me," Ginny said firmly. Ron looked like he wanted to protest more, but his sister shot him a look which would have done Mrs. Weasley proud.

While the siblings had been arguing, Harry had been staring, stricken at Ginny. All of the bandages had been removed, and he could see her scar. It looked nearly identical to his. It was bit odd, seeing his scar on her face. He felt the guilt welling up again.

"Harry?" Ginny questioned, seeing the look on his face. "Are you allright?"

"Huh? Oh yeah. I'm fine. I was just.. You look beautiful this morning," Harry blurted, realizing it was true. She did. He was determined not to let her have the same self conscious feelings about her scar that he did his.

Ginny blushed furiously. Harry saw her hand go up and touch her scar, trying to adjust her hair to cover it. He gently, but firmly pulled her hand away and brushed her hair aside. Leaning forward, he lightly kissed the mark. Ginny smiled up at him.

"There you two are. Thanks so much for waiting on me," Hermione said dryly from the doorway.

"Sorry Hermione," Harry said.

"We wanted to let you sleep," Ron added, as Hermione walked over to them. She smiled at Ron before turning to his sister.

"You look wonderful Ginny. Madame Pomfrey has cleared you then?" Hermione asked. At Ginny's nod, Hermione hugged her friend. "I'm so glad you're allright."

"Me too," Ginny said grinning. "I'm also starving. Let's go to breakfast."

They went through the halls laughing and talking. As they approached the Great Hall, Harry could feel Ginny tense up, although he could tell that she was trying to hide it.

"It'll be ok," he whispered reassuringly. Ginny smiled greatfully and, taking a deep breath, they entered the crowded hall.

Immediately, the group felt all eyes focused on them and heard the usual early morning chatter lull, before an explosion of whispering began. Ginny paled and looked down, uncharacteristically shy. She would have probably backed out of the room were it not for Harry. He'd had enough experience to know that the only way to deal with the gossip running through the room was to face it, no matter how unpleasant that may be. Straightening to his full height, he put his arm around Ginny, glaring ferociously around him, as if daring anyone to say anything to offend her. As the last time most of the people present had seen Harry he was covered in green flame and dangling Malfoy from the ceiling, this worked very effectively and people hastily returned to their breafasts.

At the Gryffindor table, Ginny was greeted enthusiastically by her housemates. Although she could tell many of them wanted to ask her what had happened, no one did. She was fairly certain it was only the presence of Ron and Harry which put them off. She was dreading classtime, when she would have to deal with things alone. Not long after they had sat down, Colin Creevey very hesitantly came up to them.

"Ginny?" he said tentatively. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I mean if I had stayed behind and helped you clean up, you wouldn't have been alone and this might never have happened."

"Colin, this is not your fault. I told you to go on. Remember? Even if I hadn't, they probably still would've attacked, only then both of us would have been hurt," Ginny said.

"But still... You're not walking to anymore classes alone," he said.

"Trying to steal my girlfiend Creevey?" Harry asked. Colin gave a frightened squeak. Ron snorted into the cereal he was busily shoveling in.

"N-no Harry. I'd never... I just..." Colin stuttered. Harry couldn't help it. He laughed.

"I'm sorry Colin. I was only teasing you. I know that you would never do that. I appreciate you keeping an eye on Ginny for me," Harry said smiling at Colin. The younger boy had always been rather annoying to Harry, but he seemed to have matured some finally.

"Keeping an eye on me?" Ginny said dangerously. "Who said I need anyone to keep an eye on me?"

"Uh... well... I..." It was Harry's turn to stutter now. Hermione decided to take pity on him.

"I'm sure that he just meant that it is obviously not safe for any of us to wander the halls alone, and he appreciates Colin's willingness to accompany you. Isn't that right Harry?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded hastily, thanking his lucky stars for Hermione.

The familiar woosh of wings overhead announed the arrival of the owls with the morning post. Hedwig landed gracefully in front of Harry with a note from Remus rescheduling their meeting about the D.A. Hermione had received her usual Daily Prophet, which she was quickly immersed in. A rather non-descript owl had landed next to Ginny and held out it's leg. With a puzzled frown, she removed the letter and turned it over to see who it was from. Harry saw her eyes widen in shock.

"Ginny?" he asked in concern. "What is it? Who is it from?"

"Percy. It's a letter from Percy," she said exchanging a look with Ron, whose ears had already gone a brght Weasley red.

Once again, I hope you all enjoyed this one. Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks as always go out to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of you for reading and reviewing.
To Err is Human by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.



"Don't read it Gin. Just throw it away, the bloody traitor," Ron said glaring at the offending mail.

"Ronald!" said Hermione. "He's still your brother, no matter what he has done. I think you should read it Ginny."

"Yeah? Well I don't. I was on the receiving end of one of his brotherly notes last year when I made prefect. It was full of stuff about how he thought Harry was a nutter and how I should stay away from him. He's a git, my brother or not," said Ron furiously.

"Look, Percy is not on my list of favorite people either, but he's still a Weasley. Besides, the letter did not come for either of you. It came for Ginny. She can decided for herself if she wants to read it," said Harry, thinking it best to interrupt Ron and Hermione before their disagreement developed into a full blown argument. Ginny smiled greatfully at him. She stared at the envelope for a moment, before taking a deep breath and breaking the seal.

Harry and the others watched silently as she read. Emotions played in rapid sucession across her face. When Harry saw tears well up in her eyes, he cursed silently under his breath. Ron was right. Percy was a git.

"I'm sorry Ginny. I tried to tell you," Ron murmured, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Ginny merely shook her head and smiled, leaving both Ron and Harry puzzled.

"No, it's not bad. I think maybe he's come to his senses," she said. Ron snatched the letter out of Ginny's hand and began to read. Harry and Hermione leaned over his shoulder to scan it's contents as well.

Dear Ginny,
I was in the Ministry yesterday when I heard rumors of another attack. This, as I'm sure you are aware, has become a more common occurence as of late. It wasn't until I heard that the attack had been upon a student at Hogwarts that I became truly concerned, however. My thoughts immediately went to both you and Ronald. At once, I set about trying to ascertain what had happened.

It breaks my heart, dear sister, to hear that you were indeed the victim and, that I may have, in my denial and doubt of the last year, contributed in some way to the conditions which led to this incident. Please rest assured that I will do everything within my power to insure that young Mr. Malfoy pays dearly for what he has done to you.

Ginny, I also wanted you to know that I am truly and heartily sorry for my actions of late. I offer no excuses. I was, as our brothers would say and, no doubt, have said, a complete and utter git. I was blinded by my own ambition and fear. I know that I have hurt the family, particulary Mother and Father, beyond repair.

Please offer my sincerest apologies to all of them for me. I love and miss everyone unbearably. Also, please convey to Harry how much I regret my actions towards both he and Professor Dumbledore. If I could change the last year I most certainly would, but as that is impossible, I will have to hope that I may, someday, be given the opportunity to prove myself once again worthy of the name Weasley.

With love, your brother,

Percy


"Oh," said Hermione, tears welling up in her eyes. "That's beautiful. Your mum will be thrilled."

"No, she won't. We're not telling her. He thinks he can just apologize and everything will be ok. He thinks that all he has done will just vanish. Well, it won't. Have you forgotten everything he did? He worked to have Harry expelled and smeared his name every chance he got. He denied Voldemort's return until the Ministry itself was invaded. He never made any attempt to see Dad when he was in the hospital last Christmas, and he sent back his jumper. He broke Mum's heart. I will not give him the chance to do it again. I will never forgive him. Ever," Ron growled vehemently.

"But he's sorry Ron. He knows that he was wrong," said Hermione, trying to calm him down.

"Yeah, he's sorry. He's sorry that he can't bloody deny it anymore and he's losing all his power because he picked the wrong person's coat tails to ride," Ron snapped.

"Stop it Ron! He's our brother," Ginny said, her eyes glittering dangerously. "You don't have to forgive him if you don't want to, but Mum and Dad have a right to know about this. The others do too. They need to make their own decisions."

"She's right mate," Harry said quietly, noticing that they had once again attracted quite a bit of attention with their argument.

"Don't tell me that you are going to forgive him?" Ron demanded. Harry shrugged.

"I honestly don't know," he said. Ron looked troubled.

"Please Ron," Ginny said with pleading eyes.

"Fine. We'll let Mum and Dad know, but if he hurts them again I'll kill him," Ron growled.

"If he hurts them again, I'll help you," Harry promised placing his hand on Ron's shoulder. Ginny hugged her brother, before turning to Harry.

"Can I borrow Hedwig to mail them?" she asked.

"Of course Gin. We'll go up to the owlery after class. Speaking of which, what have you got today?" Harry asked, thinking a change of subject best for now. Ginny consulted her schedule.

"Care of Magical Creatures," she replied smiling. "Much better than yesterday's schedule."

"We've got our first defense class with Tonks," Hermione said. "I'm interested to see what her approach will be."

"Well at least something is going right today. What about the afternoon?" Ron asked, still obviously upset over the letter.

"Potions for Hermione and I," Harry answered with a grimace.

"Ugh... Divinition," Ron said after digging his schedule out of his bag. "This day just gets better and better. Someone please tell me why I did not drop that class."

"Dunno mate," Harry said. "On the bright side, at least now we know that she isn't a total fraud."

"No, she's just completely mental," Ron grumbled as Colin Creevey came up to them once more.

"You ready to go Ginny?" he asked.

"Sure Colin," Ginny said. Standing, she pecked Harry on the cheek. "See you at lunch."

"We'd better get going too," Hermione said. She was, as usual, concerned about getting good seats.

"But I'm still eating 'Mione," Ron complained. Hermione rolled her eyes. Grabbing a piece of toast, she quickly piled eggs and bacon on it and topped it with a second piece, before handing it to Ron.

"There. Eat it on the way. Now let's go," she said impatiently. Ron opened his mouth to argue, but must've decided an argument with his girlfriend would not improve his day any. He sighed, then stood up and grabbed his books.

"All right, I'm coming," Ron said as he took a bite of his sandwich. Grinning, Harry followed them out of the hall.


*Gasp!* I know. I've failed you. There is no cliffhanger in this one. I hope you liked it despite that. Thanks again go out to the wonderful Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my handy live in beta, and to all of you wonderful people for reading and reviewing. Please note the emphasis on reviewing. I quite like receiving them :) I already have the next chapter written. It will be posted as soon as I see this one go up. -w. mom
Professor Tonks by Weasley Mom
All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom smiling in anticipation. Looking around the room, Harry noted the changes which Tonks had wrought. Gone were the lacy doilies and big eyed kittens from Umbridge's reign. They were replaced instead with dark arts detectors, several rather deadly looking weapons, and large poster of the Wierd Sisters. The words "Get Wierd" were blazoned across it in a bright bubblegum pink which reminded Harry of Tonks' favorite choice of hair color.

"Bit dangerous to have that in the room with Tonks on the loose isn't it?" Ron murmured to Harry pointing at a particularly nasty loking sword. Harry shrugged, grinning inwardly to himself. He knew, or at least suspected, that a large portion of Tonks' trademark clumsiness was an act that she put on to get people to lower their guard. He'd figured it out quite painfully in his summer lessons with her and Moody. He remembered his shock when she had gracefully vaulted over a chair he had aimed her way and stunned him. It was, in fact, Tonks who had taught Harry the majority of the martial arts which he had been learning.

"Where is she?" Hermione whispered. "You know, it is very bad form for a teacer to be late for her first lesson."

Harry looked around again, puzzling, like Hermione, at Tonks' absence. He was starting to get worried when his eyes lit upon a girl in the back of the room. Harry frowned. He didn't recognize her. He supposed this was possible, as they were having the class with Ravenclaws and he certainly couldn't claim to know everyone in every house. There was something about her though, something that didn't feel right. The girl must've sensed Harry's stare, for she looked up and winked. Harry grinned and gave the barest of nods, before answering Hermione who was arguing wih Ron over Tonks' apparent tardiness.

"I'm sure she'll be here soon," he said innocently. The students were starting to get restless. They had begun to move around the room and conversation was getting louder. Ron, who was not a very patient person to begin with and had had a particularly trying morning, decided to distract himself by initiating a spitball fight with Seamus. Harry, who would normally have joined them, glanced back to where the unknown girl had been. She had disappeared. He knew that Ron and Seamus were in for it now.

"Mr. Weasley and Mr...?"

"Finnegan," Seamus replied in a choked voice.

"While I have participated in my fair share of spitball fights in school, I would really rather that you didn't do it in my class," Tonks said from directly behind them. Both boys had jumped guiltily, and Ron turned his usual bright red. "Two points from each of you."

People quickly rushed to their seats and quieted down somewhat, although there was still a low murmur of people discussing what had just happened. No one, aside from Harry, had any clue where Tonks had come from.

"Welcome to NEWT level Defense Against the Dark Arts. My name is Nymphadora Tonks and I will be your professor this year," Tonks looked gravely around the class. She wore her hair long and dark today and her eyes were the same silvery grey that Sirius' had been. Harry wondered if this was what Tonks' true appearance was. She was after all Sirius' cousin. It would only make sense that they resemble each other to some degree.

"As Professor Dumbledore told you at the feast, I am an auror. The Ministry has agreed to allow me to teach because they know that you need to be prepared. Make no mistake, our world is at war. The harsh reality of the situation is that people you know will die. Some of you may have already lost someone," she said looking at Harry.

"If you want to survive, you must be prepared. I know that you've heard this before but, Constant Vigilence! A show of hands please, aside from Harry, how many of you noticed that there was an unfamiliar person in the room?" No one raised their hands. Several people, Ron and Hermione in particular, looked rather shamefaced. Tonks nodded.

"Allright then. How many of you expect that you could tell if someone is a dark witch or wizard by how they look?" she asked. Several people raised their hands. Tonks nodded again.

"Sorry, but the world does not work that way. A dark witch or wizard can be anyone, can look like anyone. They could look like your grandmother," Tonks morphed into the guise of an old woman which Harry had seen her use before. Many students gasped in suprise.

"They can look like your Mum," she said changing her appearance to look remarkably like Molly Weasley.

"Your best mate," She morphed into an uncanny resemblance of Parvati Patil.

"Your girlfriend," Tonks now could've passed for Ginny's twin.

"Or just a girl sitting in the back of the class," she said returning to the rather plain, unassuming looking girl. The class now sat in stunned silence, riveted to Tonks' spech.

"You cannot go by appearances. You have to be aware of your surroundings. You must look for the subtle signs that something is not as it should be. Watch for behaviors, little things which are out of place. Trust your instincts. If something seems to be too easy or just not right, chances are it probably is. Your greastest asset, your best defense will not be your spellwork or fighting skills, it will be your heart and mind."

"This year we will still be doing all the necessary spellwork to help you prepare for your NEWTs next year, but we will also be working on raising your awareness and honing your instincts. Now then, any questions?" Seamus raised his hand.

"Yes Mr. Finnegan?" she said pointing at him.

"Are we going to learn to do that? Change our appearance like that? It was bloody brilliant miss," he said somewhat awed. Tonks grinned at him.

"We will learn some techniques for disguise, however, very few people can do what I can. Does anyone know why?"

Hermione, Ron, and Harry immediately raised their hands.

"Besides you three," Tonk said, winking at them. Neville tentatively raised his hand.

"Yes, Mr. Longbottom i believe?"

"Are you a metamorphmagus?" he asked.

"Very good. Five points to Gryffindor," she said. "Any other questions?" When no one else raised their hands, she nodded and began to take roll.

"All right, now that we have that out of the way. I have reports from both Professor Lupin and Professor Umbridge on what you have acheived in your previous years of defense," Tonks waved two sheets of parchment. One was a very girly pink.

"Professor Lupin assures me that you are all quite gifted and have had a thorough background in dark creatures. I also understand, from Professor Dumbledore, that your year scored more defense OWLs than any in the last 20 years. Congratulations," Tonks said. She then scanned the pink parchment.

"Professor Umbridge informs me that you are all, for the most part, hopelessly incompetent. She also says that you are a thoroughy unruly crew and that I should pay close attention to Misters Potter and Weasley and Ms. Granger, as you three are the ringleaders. Hrmmm... She also seems to think that Ms. Granger is entirely too intelligent for her own good... whatever that means. Right incompetent old toad wasn't she?" Tonks laughed before setting fire to the pink parchment and tossing it in the waste bin, much to the delight of her students.

"Now then, we're going to start today by working on some simple shield spells to see where we are with them. Pair up please," she said. The rest of the class was spent practicing the shield spell which Harry had long ago mastered. As a result, he was able to observe the others in the room.

Harry was delighted to see that the D.A. members present were not having any more difficulty then Harry himself was with the spell. He had been hoping that everyone would have continued to practice over the summer as he would really rather not have to backtrack in meetings. It appeared, based on what he was seeing, that they had indeed kept up with their training. Tonks whistled loudly to get the class' attention.

"That's it for today everyone. You all did an excellent job. Next time we will be learn a more complex version of this spell. Please read the chapter on shield charms in your book. I would also like one roll of parchment on the three most commonly used shield charms and their strengths and weaknesses. You're dismissed."

The class groaned at the assignment, but nevertheless, left talking excitedly about the class and their new professor. Ron, Hermione, and Harry hung back to talk to Tonks.

"Brilliant class Professor," Harry said, smiling at her. Tonks blushed.

"I wasn't too heavy handed with the gloom and doom then? I've been driving Remus mad rehearsing that. To be honest, I felt a bit like Moody," she said sheepishy.

"No. They need to know Professor," Hermione said seriously.

"And I'm sure Moony didn't mind helping you," Harry grinned, causing her to blush again.

"Have you heard anything about Malfoy?" Ron asked. Tonks started guiltily and headed back towards her desk, tripping along the way.

"No, nothing much," said Tonks. "You three had better run along now. You'll miss lunch."

"Nice try Professor. What aren't you telling us?" Harry demanded.

"I don't know what you're talking about Harry," she said innocently. Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Tonks, I have spent the entire summer working on occlumency and legilimency. I know when I'm being lied to. Now what's going on?" Harry said firmly.

"Remind me to smack Remus for teaching you how to do that will you?" she muttered grumpily. Harry and the others just looked at her, waiting. She threw her hands up in defeat.

"Allright, allright! This goes no further though. It would be disasterous if The Prophet got a hold of it. Kingsley owled me this morning. Apparently, someone managed to sneak past the guards last night and slip into Malfoy's cell. They roughed him up quite a bit. The odd part is, they left absolutely no clues, and Malfoy either doesn't remember who did it or is just not willing to tell us," Tonks whispered.

"How much is a bit?" Ron asked eagerly.

"Broken nose, broken ribs, various bumps and bruises. He was unconscious when they found him," she replied. Ron was practically dancing with glee. Harry was wishing he had been the one to do it. Hermione, however, was frowning as if she had realized something that the others had missed.

"This won't affect the charges against him will it? The Ministry is not going to go easier on him now are they?" Hermione asked. Tonk snorted.

"I doubt it, not with the biggest stickler for rules the Ministry has seen since Barty Couch handling the trial, especially since he has a personal stake in it," she said with a furitive glance at Ron. Harry frowned. Hermione, though, had a look of dawning comprehension on her face.

"Who did they put in charge?" Ron asked. Harry felt a growing suspicion that he knew the answer. It was confirmed when Tonks answered.

"Your brother Percy."

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this one. As always, thanks go out to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of you for reading and reviewing.
In the Dungeons by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

"Percy! Bloody hell!" Ron thundered for about the tenth time as they sat in the Great Hall eating lunch. He had been ranting since Tonks had informed them that Percy would be representing the Ministry in Malfoy's prosecution.

"Ron, calm down," Hermione soothed. "He did say he would do everything in his power to make sure Malfoy rotted in Azkaban."

"Yeah? Well he's also a lying traitor Hermione, so pardon me if that does not make me feel any better," Ron snapped. Hermione rolled her eyes in frustation and cotinued tryng to calm Ron.

Harry looked towards Ginny who had been strangely quiet since they had told her Tonks' news. She was playing with her food and frowning.

"You allright love?" Harry asked gently. She smiled wanly at him.

"Yeah. I was just thinking. On the one hand, I'm happy that Percy has finally come around. On the other hand, I have to wonder... why now?" she shrugged. Harry nodded. He had been having the same doubts. Percy hadn't been swayed to his family's point of view the previous year when Mr. Weasley had been attacked and nearly died. Harry had a hard time believing that the sole reason for his change of heart had been what happened to Ginny. Harry shook his head, brought out of his reverie by the voice of Colin Creevey.

"You ready to go to Charms Ginny?" he asked. Harry smiled at Colin. It seemed that the younger boy was taking his role as Ginny's protector very seriously.

"Yeah Colin," Ginny answered, standing up and grabbing her things. Harry noticed how little she had eaten. He also thought that she was starting to look rather pale. He grabbed her hand.

"Are you sure you're feeling allright?" he asked.

"I'm fine Harry... really," she reassured him.

"No. You're not. I know there is something going on besides Percy. What is it?" Harry demanded.

"It's the Slyhterins again," Colin supplied when Ginny hesitated.

"Shut up Colin," Ginny growled.

"No. They were awful to you in Care of Magical Creatures Gin. Harry should know," Colin argued.

"Who was awful to her?" Ron asked, temporarily distracted from his own black mood.

"It's nothing I can't handle," Ginny said. "Just Marcus Parkinson being his usual charming self."

"What did he do?" Harry asked his eyes glinting dangerously.

"Calm down Harry..." Ginny began, only to be interrupted by Colin.

"He told her that he hadn't thought she could look any worse than she normally did with her 'carrot top and freckles', but that he had clearly been wrong. He also said that he was suprised that you hadn't run in fright when you saw that ghastly mark on her head. Then he said that you were probably used to looking at terrifying things though with all the time you spent with Hermione. His words... not mine. I would've hexed him, but Ginny wouldn't let me," Colin provided.

"He said what?" Ron growled. Marcus had picked the wrong day to mess with Ginny, especially when he insulted Hermione at the same time. Ron stood and made for the Slytherin table, an equally outraged Harry at his heels.

"Couldn't keep your mouth shut could you?" Ginny hissed at Colin as she and Hermione chased frantically after the boys. Luckily they caught up to them before they reached their destination.

"See this is why I didn't tell you," Ginny said. "It's no big deal Harry. I've been dealing with Parkinson since first year."

"First year? All the more reason to beat the snot out of him," Harry growled. Ginny stared, fascinated as his eyes began to glow faintly.

"You two cannot get into a fight in the Great Hall for Merlin's sake," Hermione said.

"You heard what he said 'Mione. He insulted you and Ginny both. I will not let him get away with that," Ron snapped glaring at the Slytherin table. He'd had a very bad day and had just been handed the perfect excuse to take out his frustration.

"I didn't think that you would. This is not the way to deal with it though," Hermione said.

"She's right. You two go over there and attack the Slytherins, seemingly unprovoked, and you are playing right into their hands. They do need to be taught a lesson however," Ginny said grinning slightly.

"And you are Marauders after all," Hermione added. Harry and Ron exchanged a look. Their anger was rerouted.

"It will have to be something really good," Harry said.

"And it needs to last long enough to get our point across," Ron said. "Any ideas?"

"A couple," said Harry. "But we'd better get to class now before we're all late."

The foursome headed out of the Hall. Ginny stalked past Colin at the doors, glaring at him. Colin meekly followed her, making sure she stayed in his sight. Ron waved as he headed for Divinition.

"Wish me luck with Trelawney," he muttered.

"Ronald, you really should learn to listen, and maybe read your schedule. Firenze is teaching NEWT Divinition," Hermione said exasperated. Ron brightened considerably and left for his class.

Harry and Hermione hurried in the opposite direction for Potions. They knew they'd be lucky to make it on time, and indeed slipped into their seats with just seconds to spare, or so they thought.

"Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, so glad you could join us. Perhaps next time you will endeavor to be here when you are supposed to be. Five points from each of you," Snape sneered. Harry gritted his teeth trying to calm himself down. He was still fuming from Colin's revelations, even if he had decided on an alternative method of exercising his wrath upon the Slytherins. He knew that he needed this class to become an auror. Unfortunately, he also knew that meant that he had no choice but to put up with Snape.

"Welcome to NEWT level Potions. This class is reserved only for those who have managed a certain level of achievement. All of you have, as difficult as it is for me to believe this, attained O's on your Potion's OWLs. As you have no doubt noticed, the more incompetent among you have been weeded out, for the most part," Snape added, shooting a venomous look at Harry.

Harry focused on his occlumeny, clearing his mind, and controlling his emotions. In an effort to distract himself from Snape's pointed comments, Harry glanced around the room. He noticed that the only two Gryffindors to make the cut besides he and Hermione were Dean and Parvati. In addition to the four Gryffindors, there were two Hufflepuffs and five Ravenclaws. The rest of the class was composed entirely of Slytherins, Pansy Parkinson, Crabbe, and Goyle among them.

Harry found himself once again taking calming breaths, Crabbe and Goyle should have been arrested with Malfoy. He was certain that they had been involved in Ginny's attack as well, but with no evidence, Dumbledore had been forced to let them return to class.

"Is there a reason that you have chosen not to pay attention Potter?" Snape spat. Harry jumped, realizing that the Professor had noticed his mental meandering.

"No sir. Sorry sir," Harry murmured while thinking, "Why don't you go wash your hair and leave me alone Snivelly.

"Five more points from Gryffindor Potter. Going for a new personal record this year? I'm sure your father would be proud. I believe his record was somewhere near 1000 points," Snape hissed smirking malevolently. Across the room, Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle snickered. Snape ignored them and continued with his lecture.

"This year we will start to brew some highly complex potions. Your measurements must be precise and all directions must be meticulously followed. The potions which we will be attempting this year require absolute concentration or dire consequences may result."

"We will begin by working on Wolfsbane Potion. With Professor Lupin back on staff, the Headmaster has asked that we keep a supply on hand." The potions master flicked his wand and directions appeared on the board. "You may begin."

Beside him, Harry saw Hermione raise her hand.

"Yes Miss Granger?" Snape said wearily.

"Sir, isn't the Wolfsbane potion fatal to a werewolf if it is brewed improperly?" Hermione asked.

"Yes Miss Granger it is. I hope for Professor Lupin's sake that Mr. Potter's potion brewing skills have improved greatly," Snape answered.

Harry tensed. He could feel his anger simmering just below the surface. How dare Snivellus endanger Moony like that? Harry saw Hermione's eyes widen, and noticed a tell-tale green glow begin to form round himself. Harry took a deep calming breath and closed his eyes, willing hs anger to subside, concentrating on keeping his mind blank. When he opened his eyes again, the glow was gone and Harry felt calmer.

He read though the directions on the board and began to follow them, meticulously checking and rechecking as he went. By the end of class, Harry was exhausted, however, he was pleased to see that his potion looked exactly like Hermione's. He just hoped that the others in the room had been as precise and accurate as he had. He glanced over at the Slytherins. Pansy Parkinson saw him and smirked, blowing Harry a kiss before carelessly throwing a large handfull of Wolfsbane into her cauldron.

"That great ugly cow," Hermione whispered furiously. "She's intentionally brewing her potion wrong." Harry nodded.

"We have got to warn Moony. If he takes that potion..." Harry refused to even think about finishing that thought. Instead he bottled his potion, as did Hermione, and placed it on Snape's desk. They then headed for Gryffindor Tower where they planned to catch up with Ron and Ginny.

"What are we going to do Harry?" Hermione asked.

"I'm going to warn him tonight at our meeting, but I'm afraid this will force him to through the next full moon potionless. Transformations are hard enough on him as it is, and then to take away the one thing which makes it easier for him. I could cheerfully kill Snivellus," Harry growled.

"Speaking of Moony's transformations," Hermione said furitively, "I think that we should start work on that other project, the one to help Moony."

"Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. I thought maybe we could all meet in the room of requiremnt either before or after I meet with Remus tonight," Harry said.

"We should help Ron and Ginny with their patronuses. We can both do one and they never have. Remember? Professor McGonnagall said that they were a key step to finding out what our inner animal is," Hermione said. Harry noded his agreement as they arrived at the portrait hole and, after giving the password, entered the common room in search of Ron and Ginny.

Hope you enjoyed that. Thanks go out to Danielle for being a fabulous moderator, my son for being my beta, and all of you for reviewing. OK... something a little different. In the next few chapters, everyone's animagus forms will be revealed, altough they won't be able to transform just yet. According to Jo, people's animagus form corresponds with their patronus. We know therefore that Harry will be a stag (like James) and Hermione will be an otter. Having said that, I have a mission for you all. I would like you to post, along with your reviews, 1) what you think Ron and Ginny's animagus forms should be and 2) your ideas for Marauder names for the four. I may or may not use some of the ideas in the story, but I'd like your input either way. Thanks again for reading. Until next time -W.M.
Expecto Patronum by Weasley Mom
A/N: All the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry sat in the the room of requirement awaiting Lupin's arrival. He had decided to take advantage of the time by practicing his occlumency and was in a deep state of meditation, allowing his mind to wander. Much to his great relief, Harry'd had the opportunity to warn Lupin at dinner about Pansy's faulty potions. Suprisingly, Remus had merely thanked him and told him not to worry, he'd deal with it. Harry saw both Tonks and Remus talking with a very agitated looking Snape shortly thereafter, and smiled to himself, happy that he had managed to protect Moony. Despite the mental drifting was doing, he snapped to awareness the moment he heard the door open and saw his guardian enter.

"Practicing I see Harry," said Remus smiling. Harry nodded.

"I apparently need to. I thought that I had pretty good control of my emotions this summer, but obviously I was wrong," Harry said grimacing. Remus put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Don't be so hard on yourself Harry. There is a lot more pressure on you here than you dealt with at Grimmauld Place. As for yesterday, once I saw what Malfoy had done to Ginny I could've cheerfully beat the snot out of him. I can't even imagine what you felt," Lupin said as he sat down on the floor next to Harry.

"Yes, but you didn't Moony. I did. I could've killed him. I think I would have if you hadn't said what you did," Harry admitted quietly.

"I think that there are a couple of things about yourself which you are forgetting. First off, you are, as much as you despise the fact, the child of the prophecy Harry. It breaks my heart to say it, but you will be forced to kill before this is over, so you must, of necessity, be capable of doing it," Remus said quietly. Harry shivered. He knew in the abstract what he had to do, but thinking of it in those terms... that he had to be capable of killing repulsed him.

"The other thing you are forgetting is that you are not just the Boy-Who-Lived. You are Harry James Potter. James and Lily's son. You would never, could never, take a life lightly or as anything other than a desperate act to protect those you love. The Boy-Who-Lived was capable and willing to kill Malfoy for what he had done. Harry stopped him because he cared about how it would affect those he loved. You stopped because you knew it was wrong." Harry took a deep shuddering breath.

"I have got to learn to control these powers Moony. The anger... it's still there. If I saw Malfoy right now, I honestly don't know what I would do," Harry said quietly. Lupin looked thoughtfully at him for a moment before speaking.

"You know, there is a muggle saying that your Mum was fond of quoting in her arguments with your Dad... 'With great power, comes great responsibility.' You have that power Harry, just as you bear the responsibility to learn to control it. I know, Dumbledore knows, that you can do this. We will be here to help you until you do."

Harry nodded marveling at how Remus always knew what to say to help him.

"Thanks Moony," he murmured.

"That's what I'm here for junior," Remus said smiling and ruffling Harry's hair. "Now about the D.A. sessions, what nights would you like to hold them?"

Harry smiled, greatful that his guardian had changed the subject. He paused, considering.

"Well, I'm planning on Quidditch practice being Tuesdays, Thursdays, and maybe Saturdays if we need them. I'd umm.. sort of like Friday nights free too," said Harry, blushing slightly. Remus grinned.

"Nice to know that hasn't changed. Friday nights were always date nights for us too. How about we do the more advanced group on Monday and the beginners on Wednesday?" Lupin asked.

"I think that will work," Harry replied.

"Are you sure? That won't leave you much time for your studies," Remus said.

"I'll be fine. Quidditch will be in the afternoons before dinner, which leaves Tuesday and Thursday nights as well as the weekends, even with Saturday practices that should be ok," Harry said.

"Allright. That's what we'll go with for now, but promise me if you start feeling overwhelmed you'll let me know."

"Of course," Harry said.

"I mean it Harry. You keep entirely too much bottled up inside you."

"I promise Moony. I solemnly swear on my oath as a Marauder," Harry said. Lupin chuckled, suprising him.

"You looked and sounded so much like James just then," his guardian said smilingly.

"Moony, how did they do it? Learn to become Animagi I mean?" Harry asked.

"Why do you ask?" Remus queried somewhat suspiciously.

"Oh we're starting animagi in Transfiguration," Harry said innocently. The professor didn't look like he quite believed him, but after a moment answered, smiling reminiscently.

"Well, they began by sneaking into the restricted section of the library to find everything that they could on Animagi. That's actually how I found out about their plans. I caught them one night. Peter's foot was visible under the edge of James' cloak. After the intitial shock of seeing a disembodied foot strolling down the hall, I followed and confronted them. When they told me what they were doing..." Moony shook his head.

"I should've stopped them. It was incredibly dangerous, not to mention illegal. A hundred different things could've gone horribly wrong, but I let them continue. I'd always felt so alone during my transformations, and the thought of having someone there, my best friends no less, I just couldn't tell them no. I helped them instead," he said. His eyes were distant as if he was peeling the years away and seeing into the past.

"Did they use there patronus forms? That's what Prof McGonnagall has had us workng on," Harry asked.

"Yeah they did. That's part of why it took them so long. When we started none of us had even close to the power needed for a patronus. Once we finally mastered that, James and Sirius were able to transform fairly quickly. Peter on the other hand took a while. He always was fairy inept at transfiguration."

"Is there any other way to go about becoming an animagi?" Harry asked. He was fairly confident both Ron and Ginny would master the patronus charm, but he wanted to be prepared just in case.

"There is a spell. It's a bit more complex and alot more dangerous then the patronus, which is why they didn't try it. The spell allows the caster to pick an animal and sort of bond with it, enabling the wizard to transform into it. The side effect is that you take on some of the animal's characteristics in your human form so you need to be very careful what you pick. I've even heard that some wizards have been able to achieve multiple animagus forms this way," Remus said. Harry nodded as he processed all the information he had just received.

"Thanks Moony," he said.

"Your welcome Harry. I'm always glad to help with your studies," Remus said, sounding every inch the professor that he was. Harry felt a surge of guilt for deceiving his guardian, but ruthlessly squashed it down. They were doing this for Moony, so he wouldn't be alone anymore.

"Speaking of studies, I've just realized we didn't leave anytime for my occlumency or other training. There goes Friday night," Harry groaned. Remus chuckled.

"Not to worry Harry. Dumbledore is a step ahead of you. Did you happen to notice the free periods you have on Wednesday and Friday afternoons?" Harry nodded and Remus continued.

"We'll meet here. Wednesdays you'll do occlumency with myself and Dumbledore. Fridays you'll continue your battle training with Moody."

"Thank Merlin for Dumbledore. Ginny would've killed me. She'd have understood, but she still would've killed me," Harry grinned. As if talking about her had somehow conjured her, the door to the room opened and a ginger head popped in.

"Harry?" she called. "Are you ready?" Remus looked at Harry, the twinkle in his eyes could've rivaled Dumbledore.

"Errr..yeah Gin. I think we're nearly finished. Come on in," he said. Ginny entered, followed closely by Ron and Hermione.

"Double date?" Remus asked grinning. Harry blushed.

"Yeah something like that. We're going to work on Ron and Ginny's patronuses and then there is this Slytherin who has been picking on Ginny..." Harry's voice trailed off. Lupin smiled.

"Remarkable. In the space of two weeks I've gone from being the last living Marauder to one of five. For the record, I'm sure somewhere your Mum is doing the dance of joy. That's the one thing she could never talk your Dad into. He and Sirius had a strict no girls allowed policy," Moony said.

"How.... archaic," Hermione snorted. "Maybe I don't want to be a Marauder after all."

"No girls allowed? That's just... just...," Ginny sputtered outraged.

"Calm down ladies. I honestly think that they only had that rule to annoy Lily. James just couldn't resist taunting her. He loved to see her in a temper. They had these spectacular rows and then would spend hours making up. Speaking of which, I had better get home before I have some making up of my own to do," Remus grinned.

"Home? Aren't you staying at the castle?" Ginny asked. Remus shook his head.

"No, we thought, well actually I thought it would be inappropriate for two unmarried teachers to... umm nevermind. We're staying at the Shrieking Shack," Remus said awkwardly, a faint blush tinging his cheeks, much to the delight of the young people in the room.

"C'mon Moony, it's not like we don't know what's going on with you and Tonks," Ron grinned. The others nodded in agreement.

"We're all very happy for you both Professor," Hermione added.

"Thanks, I'll be sure to tell her. I think I'll leave now, while I still have a shred of dignity left," he said, chuckling despite himself. Waving, he headed out the door.

"Allright then, first things first," Hermione said briskly once Lupin was gone. She pulled the book on animagus transformation, which Harry had found in Grimmauld Place's library, from her bookbag.

"I have read this from cover to cover. It is an exceptionally good guide to becoming an animagus. It's very thorough. It would not suprise me in the least if this is what Padfoot and Prongs used to become animagi. Having said that... Based on what I have read and what I know all our talents to be, I think we can probably be fully fledged animagi by the end of term," she said.

"That soon?" Ginny asked. clearly delighted. "I thought it took years."

"Normally it does, but this book has some very good tips, and a rather unusual approach which I have never seen anywhere else. I honestly don't think it will take that long. That's all assuming that you and Ron master the patronus as easily as I think you will. You were both so close last year." Harry stood up nodding.

"I agree. I think we should work on that tonight. I'd feel alot better if you two could do it anyway with the dementors joining Voldemort," Harry said. Ron and Ginny nodded and pulled out their wands. It was decided that Ginny go first. Harry stood behind her talking quietly in her ear.

"Ok Ginny, just relax. Close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths. Now go through your mind and sort out your memories. Look for the happiest one that you can find. Nod when you have it," Harry murmured. After a moment she nodded and Harry continued.

"Allright, now concentrate on that memory. Let it fill you, every ounce of you, until you feel like you're going to burst from it. When you're ready open your eyes and say the incantation."

Standing behind her, almost touching, Harry could feel Ginny harnassing her memory. He felt the power build within her. She opened her eyes and raised her wand.

"Expecto Patronum!" she cried. A silvery flash exploded out the tip of Ginny's wand and coalesced into a small graceful feline which prowled the room. Harry heard her soft coo of delight.

"I did it! Oh it's a cat! I love cats," Ginny squealed. She allowed her patronus to disipate before throwing herself at Harry and kissing him.

"Ewww... we're in the room," said Ron.

"Shut up mate," Harry said grinning.

"If you two are done, it's my turn," Ron said impatiently. Harry moved to stand behind, although not nearly as close to, Ron.

"Ok Ron, close your eyes. Take a deep breath and sort through your memories. Find the happiest one you can and concentrate on it. Let yourself be filled by the memory. When you're ready open your eyes and say the incantation," he said. He could see Ron concentrating. His friend then took a deep breath and opened his eyes.

"Expecto Patronum!" Ron shouted. A flash of silver shot out of his wand, but unlike Ginny's his took no form. Ron sighed in frustration.

"Dammit," he muttered.

"It's ok Ron. We'll try again. You almost had it," Harry said. He once again walked his friend through the steps watching carefully. Ron's second attempt was no more successful than the first.

"Aarrgh!" Ron growled and threw his wand across the room where it sparked as it clattered on the floor. "I'm never going to get this!"

"Yes you are. You can do this Ron," Harry said. "You've had a really awful day though, maybe we should just try tomorrow."

"No, once more," Hermione said. "Accio wand!" She walked, smiling over to Ron and whispered something in his ear which caused him to go bright red. Grinning she kissed him long and lingeringly. When she was done, she stepped back and winked at him, causing a goofy smile to appear on his face.

"Try it now," she said. Ron closed his eyes and took a deep breath, the grin still firmly in place. He stood concentrating for a moment before finally opening his eyes and raising his wand.

"Expecto Patronum!" he cried for the third time. A blast of silver shot from his wand and slowly coalesced into a powerful looking lion, which much like Ginny's cat prowled the edges of the room.

"Would you look at that?" Ron cried in delight.

"Bloody brilliant," Harry said clapping him on the back.

"Great job Ron," Ginny said admiringly.

"I knew you could do it," Hermione said beaming at him.

"Does this mean that I get my reward?" Ron asked grinning. Hermione blushed.

"Ron!" she exclaimed, flustered. She shot a significant look at Harry and Ginny, who exchanged mischievious grins. It wasn't very often that Hermione Jane Granger became this discomposed.

"So, Hermione, exactly what reward did you offer my brother?" Ginny said trying not to laugh.

"I... well... that's none of your business. C'mon, we'd better get back to the common room. It's almost curfew," she said, grabbing Ron by the hand and pulling him through the door. Harry and Ginny followed her, doing their best to contain their laughter.

A/N: So now you know. Hope you like what I decided on for their animagus forms, it was not an easy decision. For the record, my son, who does an uncanny impersonation of Rupert Grint's tapdancing spider scene from the PoA movie, thought I should've made Ron's animagus form a giant spider so that he'd be scared of himself. He's got a rather quirky sense of humor. Thanks go out, as always, to Danielle my uber-speedy moderator, my aforementioned son for being a darn good beta, and all of you for your fabulous reviews and wonderful suggestions.
Gazing at the Moon by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

Remus Lupin stood gazing out the window of the Shrieking Shack at the crescent moon. It was odd. He'd always believed he hated this place, and yet, coming here now he felt like he was home. He smiled sadly thinking of all of the adventures which had begun here with Peter, Sirius, and James. He missed them all so much, even Peter the way he used to be before he became so lost. He missed the feeling of running wild and free across Hogwarts' moonlit grounds with his best friends. He'd never thought that he would be the last of them. Then again, he'd never believed that Peter would betray them or that Sirius would spend twelve years in Azkaban or that James and Lily would die leaving Harry so alone.

His heart ached when he thought of Harry. The fate of the world rested literally on his thin shoulders and still he took on more. The boy had seen so much, been through so much. Remus tried to help him cope with the hand fate had dealt his best friend's son, but sometimes, like tonight, his words just didn't seem to be enough. Remus felt his guilt come crashing down upon him at how he had failed Harry, failed James and Lily.

His anger began to stir as he remembered again the words that Harry had spoken to Ginny in the hospital wing when he'd thought that no one could hear. They had heard though. They had heard every word and every person in the room had vowed silently to keep Harry's secret, to never acknowledge that they knew. It had broken Remus' heart to hear Harry talk of the pain and abuse he'd suffered at the hands of the Dursleys, to hear how he'd grown up alone and unloved.

Remus slammed his hand down onto the window sill. He could've quite easily killed every single last one of the Dursleys if Voldemort had not already beaten him to it. How anyone could treat a child that way, let alone their own flesh and blood, was beyond the comprehension of the werewolf's gentle soul.

"Remmie love, come back to bed," he heard Tonks call, her voice husky from sleep.

"I'll be there in a minute 'Dora," he said trying to mask the pain in his voice. He felt, rather than saw, her rise and, after taking a moment to throw on a robe, come to him.

"Remus, it's not your fault. You didn't know what Harry was dealing with. None of us did. You and Sirius would've fought tooth and nail to keep him out of there if you had," she said. Lupin just shook his head.

"I should've taken him when James and Lily died. I could've raised him with love, the way they would've wanted, but I was scared. I was afraid that I would hurt him or that he would hate me for being forced to live like an outcast. Dumbledore said that he would be safe with them and I believed him," Remus choked out, his eyes reflecting the agony he was feeling.

"Remus, I hate that Harry had to grow up like that just as much as you, but it can't be changed. It's made him who he is. That kid has been through things we can't even imagine, and look at him. He still has so much love inside of him. You can see it every time he looks at Ginny. He is the strongest person I know. I truly believe that he can and will defeat Voldemort. Until then, we just have to make sure that he knows how much he is loved and support him however we can," she said simply. Remus shook his head in a bemused sort of way.

"How did I ever get by without you?" he asked. Tonks grinned impishly.

"You didn't. You were miserable. I'm the best thing that has ever happened to you and I expect many generous presents and a great deal of that chocolate you like to hand out," she said. Remus laughed quietly before wrapping his arms around her and, resting his chin on her head, staring once more out into the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the kitchen at Grimmauld Place, Molly Weasley sat drinking a cup of tea and re-reading the letter she'd received from Ginny. Her eyes filled with tears as she thought of Percy, her little lost boy, hoping against hope that his message to Ginny and work to convict Draco Malfoy meant that he would be coming back into the fold. Percy had always been the good one, the child she could count on. He had always done what he was told and what the family expected of him. That is he had until last year, until He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had returned.

Molly knew that Percy had been shocked, and even scared. No one wanted to believe that HE was back, and everyone who knew had clung to whatever they held most dear. It had hurt that what her son had held most dear was the inept Ministry and their web of lies in the name of law and order. She and Arthur had never been able to give their childen much, but they had always had love. They had thought it had been enough, but in Percy's case... he had apparently needed something more.

Molly thought then of her other little lost one, Harry. That poor child bore the weight of a great and terrible prophecy. Tears trailed down her cheeks as he recalled Harry's words to her Ginny.... his Ginny. Here was a young man brought up with literally nothing but the scraps thrown to him by his uncaring relatives. He had been belittled, abused, and unloved, and yet he was filled with love and compassion. She sometimes thought that Harry's heart held too much love, that he cared too much. He would, without thought to how it would effect him, throw himself into the line of fire for people he cared for and was strong enough to come out on top.

His power and those ocassional flashes of anger worried her. She feared at times, like yesterday when he had blown the windows out of the hospital wing, that it might consume him. Then she would see his love for Ginny or the way that he gently diffused the fights between Ron and Hermione, and know that he would be fine. She knew in her soul that it would not be Harry's power which would defeat the Dark Lord, it would be his heart.

Two loud pops interrupted her musings and she could tell in that way mothers have, without even turning, that Fred and George were home. They had been out on a double date, although she wasn't sure who with.

"'Lo Mum," George said.

"What are you doing up?" asked Fred.

"Not waiting on us were you?" George queried.

"No boys. I was just having trouble sleeping," their mum said, deciding not to tell them of Percy just yet.

"Worried about Ginny?" Fred said.

"Among other things," Molly replied evasively.

"Ahh... Harry then," George said knowingly. "Don't feel guilty Mum. You couldn't have known how bad it was."

"But I should have. We all should have. We all knew that Harry hated going back there. I tried to get Dumbledore to let him stay with us. If I had know how bad it was..." her voice trailed off. The twins sat down on either side of her, uncharacteristically serious.

"The thing is Mum, Harry didn't want anyone to know. He still doesn't. He didn't want our pity. He hates that. George and I even tried to confront him about it once after we saw his room and that cupboard, but he wouldn't have any of it," Fred said.

"He claimed it wasn't that bad. We knew he was lying though. They locked him in that room and fed him scraps through a cat flap for Merlin's sake! We knew it was bad, but he made us promise not to say anything. He begged us really. I think he was embarrassed about it," George said.

"Embarrassed?" Molly raged, her eyes flashing dangerously. "It's those muggles who should be embarrassed!"

"Calm down Mum," said Fred. "That part of Harry's life is over now."

"Yeah," George added, a trace of his normal mischieviousness returning. "He has Supermum Molly Weasley to care for him now."

"Not to mention two fabulously handsome and endlessly entertaining twin bothers," George said grinning. Despite herself Molly chuckled.

"What am I going to do with you two?" she said wrapping them both in one of her patented bone crushing hugs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In his office at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Headmaster Albus Dumledore sat watching the images swirl in his pensieve. He was plagued this night, as he often was, with thoughts of the Boy Who Lived. As he watched scene after scene play out in the silvery liquid, a tear slid down his face. He'd saved the Boy Who Lived, he'd kept him safe. Harry, however, he had failed miserably.

He shook his head. He alone had made the decision to place Harry with the Dursleys. He alone had sent him back year after year, despite the protests of those who knew and loved the boy. He'd believed he was doing the right thing. He'd believed he'd be safe and better off out of the spotlight he was constantly surrounded by in the wizarding world. He'd been wrong.

The sound of the stone gargoyle shifting and feet ascending the staircase registred to the old man's ears, but he kept his concentration on the penseive.

"Headmaster?" a quiet voice intruded.

"Yes Severus? What can I do for you?" Dumbledore asked looking up.

"I just wished to let you know that I have gone through the Wolfsbane Potions which the students brewed and disposed of those which Professor Lupin would've found... uncomfortable,"Snape replied.

"Thank you Severus," the headmaster said, his blue eyes dull. The potions professor frowned.

"Sir are you... allright?" he asked. There were very few people in the world that Severus Snape cared enough about to show concern over. Albus Dumbledore was one of them.

"How did you know Severus?" he asked.

"I beg your pardon sir?"

"About Harry. After his fourth year, even with Voldemort's return and the dangers it brought, you tried to convince me not to send him back to his aunt and uncle. You said he shouldn't have to deal with that on top of Cedric's death and Voldemort's return. You said no one, not even 'Potter's brat', deserved to deal with that. How did you know?" he repeated.

The potions' master smiled bitterly and his eyes were shadowed with remembered pain.

"Harry finally told you?" he said.

"No, he has no idea that I know. He poured it out to Ginny Weasley yesterday when she was unconscious. He would, I'm sure, be mortified to know that the entire room heard the conversation," Dumbledore replied. Snape nodded.

"It was easy for one who spent so much of his life hiding it to recognize the signs in another Albus," Snape said.

"Why didn't you tell me what you suspected?" the headmaster asked.

"It wasn't my story to tell," Severus replied simply.

"Thank you," Dumbledore said as Snape inclined his greasy head and left the room. Albus often wondered how much of the animosty the potions' master felt towards Harry was because of his resemblance to James and how much was because he saw so much of himself in Harry's haunted eyes. Dumbledore sighed and, using his wand, carefully pulled a silvery strand from his head, dropping it into the penseive. He swirled the liquid, watching as the image of a tiny greasy haired boy with a bruised face and fearful manner shimmered across the basin's surface.

Ok... I know, not one of my normal chapters but it was a necessary one. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks go out to the wonderful Danielle for being my moderator, my son Will for being my beta, and to all of you for your wonderful reviews. Next chapter...first DA meetings. Thanks for reading and please review.
The D.A. by Weasley Mom
All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.



The next few days passed by in a blur of classes and homework for Harry. Before he knew it, Monday night had arrived. He found himself nervously pacing the room of requirement awaiting the large group of students who had signed up for the D.A. Harry felt rather the way he had before his first quidditch match... nervous, naseous and very worried about letting everyone down.

"Honestly mate, I don't know what you're so nervous about. You did great last year. Look how many people got OWLs and NEWTs because of you," said Ron who, along with Ginny, Neville, Luna, and Hermione, had come to assist Harry in getting things ready.

"He's right Harry. Even I managed an OWL in defense. If you can teach me, you can teach anyone," Neville said in a valiant effort to relieve his friend's case of nerves.

"This year is different guys. Last year I was helping people to pass their tests. This time people want me to teach them how to survive. Their lives may depend on what I'm doing now," Harry said rubbing his scar.

"Harry you have got to stop doing this to yourself. You are not responsible for everyone and everything," Hermione said.

"Aren't I Hermione?" Harry asked his green eyes blazing. "Unfortunately that responsibilty was placed squarely upon my shoulders when I was just a baby. You know it as well as I do."

"What do you mean Harry? Just because you survived You-know-who's curse does not make you responsible for everything he does or is there something I don't know?" Neville said. He was frowning in puzzlement now and both he and Luna were shooting Harry questioning looks.

Harry inwardly groaned. He absolutely did not want to go into the prophecy tonight, especially with Neville of all people. Yet, he had just practically blurted it out in front of him.

"It's nothing Neville. Hermione's right. It's just my nerves talking," Harry said, hoping he sounded convincing.

"I don't think so Harry," Neville said somberly. "I know that there is something going on, something you aren't telling me. I can feel it."

"Neville, you do not want to know this. Trust me," Harry said.

"No Harry. Somehow, I think this is something important. I think that this is something I need to know," Neville said with a look of fierce determination upon his face.

"Nev..." Harry began but was interrupted by the timely arrival of Tonks and Lupin. "Look... I'll tell you later. I promise, but it's really complicated and now is not the time."

Neville stared at him for a moment bfore nodding and turning away. Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He had never been so glad to see his guardian.

"So Harry, are you ready for tonight?" Remus asked. Harry grimaced.

"As ready as I'm going to get," he said. Tonks laughed.

"You sound like I did last Monday morning. I was a wreck. You'll do fine Harry," Tonks said grinning as she twirled a strand of hair, which tonight was long and jet black, around her finger.

"We'll both be here if you need anything," Remus added before looking at Tonks. "I think I liked it better earlier incidentally."

Tonks rolled her eyes and scrunched up her face. She was now sporting wavy blondish brown hair, although it was still long.

"Better?" she asked.

"Much," Remus replied, his eyes twinkling mischieviously. "You looked too much like Bellatrix before." Tonks gasped, punching him in the arm.

"No need to get insulting," she said indignantly. Remus winked at Harry and then, putting on his most innocent expression, apologized profusely to her. Harry grinned. It was moments like these that he could see the Marauder inside the professor.

People began to enter the room then and sit down in the numerous chairs which were lined up in rows across the floor. Tonight Harry would be meeting with both levels of the D.A. Wednesday, he planned on holding a much smaller meeting with just those who would be acting as eyes and ears for the Order in Hogwarts. Next week, however, the meetings would resume as he and Remus had planned, with the younger group meeting on Monday and the older, more experiened one on Wednesday.

The room was rapidly filling up with chattering, noisy students. Harry was gratifed to see everyone form the previous year, with the exception of Marietta Edgecombe, attending. In addition, there were the many new faces of the younger students, as well as some older students who had not joined the group before. Most suprising to Harry, however, was the small knot of Slytherins who sat protectively huddled together in the back of the room.

"We'd better get started if we're going to get everyone back to their common room by curfew," Remus said quietly.

Harry nodded and, taking a deep breath, walked purposefully to the front of the room. Remus and Tonks followed, flanking him. Harry had never been more greatful for their silent support.

"Could I have everyone's attention please?" Harry asked. People began to quiet down and turned towards him with expectant faces.

"First of all, before we begin, I'd like to thank you all for coming. I would also like to introduce the professors who are acting as sponsors for the group. Professors Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin." Tonks and Lupin nodded to the politely applauding crowd. When they again quieted down, Harry continued.

"Now, for those of you who don't know, the D.A. was formed by a group of us last year as sort of a defense study group in the face of some rather incompetent teaching. You may be asking yourselves why we are continuing this year when we have an extremely talented teacher. The answer is simple, Voldemort." A collective gasp ran through the crowd at Harry's use of the V word.

"He said his name!" Harry heard one first year near the front whispering to his friend.

"Yes. I said his name. It's just a name. In this case, it isn't even his real name. The first thing everyone in this room needs to understand and deal with is their fear. It's how Voldemort wins. Fear is his greatest asset." A low murmur ran through those assembled as people reacted to what Harry had said. He ignored them and pushed on.

"First through third years, the primary focus of your group will be learning to use simple spells to disable your opponent. Notice I said disable, not defeat. Very few of you will be able to do the more complex spells the older groups will be working on, but even a simple spell may allow you the time you need to escape a bad situation." Harry could see the dissappointed looks on some of the younger students faces. They had obviously been hoping to do higher level spells.

"With this group, it is not the power of the spell which will be emphasised, but finding unique ways to use the spells that you have. Take wingardium leviosa for example. It is one of the first charms that we learn here at Hogwarts. It certainly isn't that powerful, nor that difficult, and yet, my friend Ron Weasley used it during my first year to save myself and Hermione Granger from a fully grown mountain troll. Quite an impressive feat," Harry said. Several of the first years turned to look, wide eyed at Ron.

"Pay attention midgets," he growled, although Harry noticed that his friend did look rather flattered at their attention.

"Fourth through seventh years, much like last year we will be working on more complex spells. With the dementors deserting Azkaban, we will be placing special effort into teaching as many people as possible the patronus charm. I know we have several people from last year who can already do this. You will be enlisted to help teach those who cannot. This group will also be learning binding charms, wards, more complex shield spells, and several rather nasty offensive spells. I should point out however, anyone caught using the spells learned here for anything other than self defense or classwork will be kicked out and dealt with by the Headmaster." Harry looked intently around him at the crowd gathered.

"All right. Any questions?" Harry asked. A mousy looking Hufflepuff first year timidly raised his hand.

"Yes?' Harry said pointing at him.

"What does D.A. stand for?" the boy asked.

"Dumbledore's Army," Harry said, remembering Ginny suggesting it the previous year and the trouble it caused. The boys eyes went wide.

"We won't have to go to war will we?" he asked his voice coming out in a squeak. Harry smiled at him.

"No, the name was meant as a joke," Harry said, hoping that he was not lying to the boy. He knew that the older students at least would act as a last line of defense for the school should the need arise. "Any other questions?"

"Is it true that you lived on the run with Sirius Black and helped him escape the Ministry?" a fourth year Ravenclaw girl, who vaguely reminded Harry of Lavender Brown, asked. His eyes widened in shock. He had certainly not been expecting that.

"You've been reading too much Teen Witch Weekly. Keep the questions to the D.A. please," Ginny growled sending the girl a viscious look.

"Errr...right," Harry said thoroughly disconcerted now. "Umm any D.A. related questions?"

"How do we know that you are qualified to teach us this stuff. I mean we haven't actually seen you do anything except talk," one of the Slytherins said.

"If you doubt him then why are you here Slytherin?" Ron said drawing himself up to his full, rather impressive height.

"No Ron, it's a fair question I suppose," Harry said. "In any case, I had planned to give a small demonstration tonight anyway." Harry quickly removed his outside robe, under which he was wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

"I'll be dueling against Professors Lupin and Tonks. We will only be using spells which we will be practicing here. The last team to have someone standing wins," Harry said by way of explanation. "Whenever you two are ready."

"Tarantagella!" Remus shouted, but Harry was ready for them.

"Protego!" Harry said. A bright bluish shield snapped into place before him and deflected Remus' spell. Tonks meanwhile had circled around behind him.

"Stupefy!" she said. Harry dove out of the way and shot a spell back at her.

"Impedimenta!" he said.

Hexes were soon flying through the air with amazing rapidity. Harry finally managed to take out Remus with a full body bind. Now it was just he and Tonks. They fought back and forth for a few minutes before Tonks landed a disarming charm on Harry.

"Ha! Got you Mr. Potter!" she said grinning. Harry smiled back and raised an eyebrow a tad bit arrogantly.

"Oh really? Accio wand! Stupefy!" he said. In one smooth motion, he had summoned his wand and stunned Tonks, who was now laying unconscious on the floor. Harry quickly woke her and removed the body bind from his gaurdian while the assembled students applauded tumultuously.

"That was bloody brilliant Harry!" Justin Finch Fletchley congratulated.

"Thanks Justin," Harry said before turning to the Slytherin. "Are you satisfied that I am qualified now?"

The other boy mutely nodded.

"All right then, if there are no more questions, I'll see you all next week," Harry said. People rose and began to file out, talking excitedly. Harry noticed a rather large group of girls shooting him flirty looks and giggling. He also noticed they seemed to be paying Ron a good bit of attention as well.

"It was inevitabe I suppose," Remus sighed.

"What was invitable Moony?" Ron, who was always oblivious, asked.

"The fan club," Remus replied nodding towards the girls who were just now making their way to the door under Hermione and Ginny's watchful glares.

"Fan club?" Harry said blushing. Remus nodded.

"That's what James and Sirius dubbed the girls that used to follow them around," he said smiling. "Your dad mostly ignored them. Sirius seemed to think it was his personal mission in life to insure that he made up for James' lack of interest by errrmm giving them each a little attention."

"Yes well. Harry and Ron are both taken," Hermione said shooting one last glare at the door and then changing the subject. "You did an excellent job tonight Harry."

"Yeah way to show that stinking Sytherin mate," Ron beamed.

"Ron!" Hermione said exasperated. "We're supposed to be uniting the houses. Remember?"

"Don't you two need to start patrol soon?" Ginny asked innocently.

"Omigosh! She's right. C'mon Ron," Hermione said dragging her boyfriend off with her.

"You know, you'd think now that they are dating that they wouldn't fight as much," Ginny said, rolling her eyes.

"Are you kidding? I'd worry if they stopped. It would be... unnatural," Harry said wryly.

"You two had better head back to the Tower Harry. It's almost curfew," Remus said.

"Yes professor," Harry grinned. "I'll see you Wednesday for my lessons."

Harry and Ginny strolled hand in hand down the halls towards Gryffindor tower. Ginny was doing her best to engage Harry in a conversation about the next day's quidditch tryouts, Harry however was lost in thought.

"Harry are you allright?" Ginny finally said after asking him the same question for the third time.

"Yeah of course I am. Why do you ask?" he replied absently.

"Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that we've been talking for the last five minutes and you have no idea what I have said. I was just wondering if that girl asking about Sirius..." her voice trailed off.

"Oh. No. I mean, I'm fine Gin," he said. She was not convinced.

"Nice try Potter. I've been watching you for five years now. I think I can tell when something is wrong. Besides, you didn't even react when I told you that I'd snogged Justin in the Great Hall," she said mischieviously.

"You what!" Harry exclaimed. Ginny giggled.

"I didn't. I was only testing to see if you were listening, which you weren't by the way. It's nice to see that you care though," she said pecking his cheek. "Now, what is it Harry?"

Harry sighed and muttered under is breath about her being just like her mum.

"Thank you. I'll take that as a complement knowing how you feel about my Mum. Now 'fess up. What is bothering you love?"

"It's Neville and the damn prophecy," Harry said at last. "I know that he has a right to know about it. I mean, it could've been him instead of me, but I don't know if I can tell him. I don't know how he'll react and I don't want to make him feel bad. I just wish he never had to know," Harry said running his hands through his hair and rubbing his scar.

"Harry, it'll be ok. You're absolutely right though. He deserves to know. I'm sure it won't be easy for either of you, but it has to be done," Ginny said gently. She wrapped him in her arms then and laid her head on his shoulder. Harry kissed the top of her head, breathing in her scent and closed his eyes.

"Hey now! None of that in the halls you two. I'd really hate to dock points from my best mate and my sister."

Harry and Ginny turned to see a grinning Ron and Hermione coming down the hall toward them. Ginny stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"That was a quick patrol," Harry said grinning.

Ron grimaced. "We aren't done yet. You just happened to be in our area."

"You'd better hurry back to the common room though. Technically you already should be there," Hermione said.

"We'll be there soon ourselves," Ron added. "And no more snogging my sister in the halls!" Ron called, grinning as Hermione dragged him away.

"Right, because you've never kissed Hermione in the halls Ronniekins," Ginny hollered after them.

"He hasn't. We use the thrid floor broom closet," Hermione said impishly.

"'Mione!" Ron gasped.

Harry and Ginny heard her chuckle drift back down the hall to them. They laughed and hurried to Gryffindor Tower before they were caught by Filch. Harry was smiling down at Ginny when they entered the portrait hole. The smile quickly slid off his face, however, when he spotted Neville sitting near the fire in the otherwise deserted common room, a very determined look upon his face.



A/N: Sorry this chapter took so long. My mother-in-law(who incidentally is my model for Sirius' mum in the Marauder fic I'm working on) was in for a visit. Thanks go out as always to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of you for your wonderful reviews. Thank you also for reading. Next chapter.... Neville and Harry have a chat.
The One Not Chosen by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.




"Do you want me to stay?" Ginny whispered to Harry. He shook his head.

"No, but thanks," he replied giving her a slight smile. Ginny nodded and quickly headed up the stairs to the fifth year girls' dorm. Harry took a deep breath and walked slowy over to Neville, who was now staring into the fire.

"Mind if I sit?" Harry asked. Neville shrugged, but moved over.

"Look Harry, I'm sorry I shouldn't have pressured you like that earlier. I mean, whatever it is... it's really none of my business and it's not like I'm your best friend or anything. If... if you don't want to tell me I understand," Neville said, his eyes never leaving the flickering flames.

"It's not like that Neville. You are one of my friends, one of the most loyal I have. It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just that..." Harry sighed. His hands automatically went to his scar, rubbing nervously.

"This is not going to be easy for you to hear, and even harder for me to say. You should know though. You deserve to know. This is probably not the best place for this, however. Ron and Hermione will be back soon and anyone could come down. One second," Harry said. He dashed upstairs and grabbed the Marauder's Map and his cloak from his trunk.

"Ok, let's go," Harry said as he came down the stairs. Neville's eyes widened.

"But it's after curfew. We're sure to get caught," Neville said fearfully.

"No we won't," Harry said grinning and showing him the cloak and map. "Not with these. They used to belong to my dad. He and his friends used them to sneak around the school all the time. Ron, Hermione, and I have used them alot too. Trust me. We'll be fine."

"I'll probably end up in detention with Snape," Neville muttered, nevertheless, he walked over to Harry. The two boys were soon under the invisibility cloak and rapidly making their way towards the room of requirement. They had a close call when Filch turned down their hallway, forcing Harry to cover Neville's mouth to keep him quiet, but eventually they made it undetected to the room.

"You better sit down Neville. This may take a while, and you're probably not going to like what I have to say," Harry said, indicating the two overstuffed chairs which were the only contents of the room at the moment. Neville sat nervously.

"I... I meant what I said Harry. You don't have to tell me anything," Neville murmured.

"I appreciate the sentiment, however, I really think you need to know this. Someone should have told you, told both of us, a long time ago," Harry said grimly.

"B-b-both of us?" Neville stuttered. Harry sighed, uncertain how to continue.

"Yes Neville, both of us. I only just found out about it at the end of last term, and now I'm telling you. As it concerns us, however, they should have told us way before now," Harry paused to gather his thoughts.

"Allright... Do you remember the prophecy?" Harry asked.

"You mean the one with your name on it that the Death Eaters lured you to the Ministry for and then tried to kill us all to get? Yeah, a bit hard for even me to forget that Harry," Neville said with a small smile. Harry allowed himself a strained grin.

"I suppose so. After... that night," Harry said stumbling over his words a bit. While he had mostly accepted Sirius' death, actually saying the words was still too much for him.

"After that night," Harry began again, "while the rest of you were in the hospital wing, Dumbledore took me to his office. He told me alot of things, and I sort of yelled at him and tore apart his office."

"Harry!" Neville exclaimed, shocked. "He must have been really angry with you." Harry shook his head.

"No, actually he wasn't. He seemed sad, and tired, but not angry. At first I didn't understand why. I wanted him to be angry with me because I was angry with him. Then he told me. He knew what the prophecy said and he told me. "

Harry's mind flashed back to that night. He felt anew the anger and pain at losing Sirius. He also felt again the nearly paralyzing fear that the words of the prophecy brought. Some of his emotions must have shown on his face, for Neville had paled considerably and his hands had a death grip on the arms of the chair in which he was sitting.

"What did it say Harry? And what does it have to do with me?" Neville asked in a trembling voice. Harry raised pain filled green eyes to his friend and once again recited the words of the prophecy which had forever changed his life.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies."

"Oh Merlin! I could be the one couldn't I? I may have to face V-V- him?" Neville squeaked before his anger took hold. He stood up then, his face turning a purplish shade reminiscent of Uncle Vernon.

"Why the hell didn't someone tell me? How come you know and I didn't? Of course, they'd assume it was you. I'm just poor, useless, pathetic Longbottom aren't I? You've always been the hero. Of course no one would think it was me."

"Neville, calm down and let me finish," Harry practically shouted.

"There's more?" Neville blazed. "This just gets better doesn't it?"

"The thing is, it's not you. It could've been, but it's not. It's that bit about 'and the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal.' He marked me. I'm the one he chose," Harry said, striving to control his own emotions.

"Naturally he chose you. Even as a baby I wasn't good enough," Neville muttered.

"Do you want this Neville? Because I will gladly switch you places. People have died because of me... my parents, my godfather, Cedric, even the Dursleys, and they hated me. Voldemort destroyed them all. I have nightmares every night. I can see Voldemort's thoughts, hear him talk to me inside my head. I've been there when he has tortured people, Neville, inside his head. My thoughts and my feelings aren't always my own and I hate it. You think I'm brave? Well I'm not. I'm scared to death, but I'll face him anyway just so I can be free. As long as he survives, I cannot live. Do you have any idea what that's like, knowing you have to kill someone just so you can have a normal life?" Harry felt the green flames rising around him once more. The very walls of the castle seemed to tremble and shake as he struggled to reign in his rage. Growling, he threw a ball of pure energy at the now vacant chairs, disintegrating them into a pile of ash. He saw that Neville was now backed into the far wall. His eyes were wide with fear in his round face. He swallowed convulsively and then spoke.

"No Harry, I don't. I've always wanted to be you, you know. Everyone likes you, everyone looks up to you, even the teachers. I've always just been clumsy, forgetful Neville. I'm the one everyone ignores and overlooks. I never thought that I would be happy to be overlooked, but I am. I never thought of myself as the lucky one, now I know. I'm sorry Harry," Neville said quietly.

Harry felt his anger slowly fade away in the face of his friend's soft declaration. Harry sank down onto the floor, pulling his knees up and resting his head and arms upon them. He took several deep, calming breaths before allowing himself to speak.

"I'm the one who should be sorry. I didn't mean to..." he waved vaguely at the still smoking pile of ash which had been chairs. "I 'm having some control issues. I'm working on it though." Neville sank down on the floor next to him, looking slightly dazed.

"It's ok Harry. Don't worry about it. If there's anything that I can do... I mean, there isn't much I'm really good at, but if you think there's something I can do, I will. I'll be there to help however I can," Neville said awkwardly. Harry shook his head.

"Will you stop Neville? You're not useless. I have never thought that. Look at what you did at the Ministry. You're just as good as me, Ron, Hermione, or anyone else. I still think that you are worth ten of Malfoy, Nev. I'm proud to call you my friend," Harry said. For the first time since they had started their conversation, a true smile lit Neville's face.

"Thanks Harry, that means alot," Neville said, his smile fading as another thought crossed his mind. "Harry... my parents... you don't think that they were attacked because of me do you?" Harry sighed, wishing he could give his friend the easy answer, but he refused to lie about this.

"I honestly don't know Neville. I know they weren't attacked until after I was, and it was Bellatrix, not Voldemort, but I just don't know. They may have gone there looking for answers about the prophecy. Please don't think that it's your fault though. It's his... theirs. They're evil, and I will make them pay for everyone they've hurt. I promise," Harry pledged, but Neville shook his head.

"Not Bellatrix, Harry. I know she killed your godfather, but she destroyed my parents. She is mine," Neville said grimly. Harry had never thought to see the anger and determination which was currently burning in Neville's eyes. He simply nodded.

"Allright Neville. We can do this, for our parents and for everyone else those two have hurt," Harry said, believing it for perhaps the first time.

Ok... let me start by apologizing for being so long between chapters. I had some computer issues, and then when I got my computer back to normal, submissions were closed. I would also like to apologize for not replying to my reviews. The login issues have made it nearly impossible for me to do so. I am, however, reading them daily. Thanks go out, as always, to Danielle for moderating, my son for beta-ing, and all of you for reviewing. Next chapter... a visit with Hagrid, some news on the animagi front, and Voldemort rears his ugly head.
Memories and Motorcycles by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



For the next few weeks, a slight awkwardness existed between Harry and Neville, although Harry was much to busy to do anything about it. Quidditch tryouts had been held. Ginny, as Harry had expected, was by far the best of those trying out for chaser. Colin Creevey had turned out to be suprisingly good as well. The team was rounded out by Natalie McDonald. Though only a third year, she was what Ron called a power chaser, meaning her short, stocky frame was capable of taking quite a beating. Harry was greatly reminded of Angelina Johnson when he watched her fly. All in all, he was feeling very confident of the team's chances of keeping the House Quidditch Cup in Professor McGonnagall's office for another year. Harry's only real concern was with getting Kirke and Sloper up to scratch. To this end, he had enlisted Fred and George Weasley to help out in their Saturday morning practices and the two beaters were starting to show some improvement.

In addition to quidditch, D.A. classes were progressing nicely. The younger group was very quick to learn the spells Harry was teaching them. Most of those in this group could now perform the leg locker curse quite well. He had some concerns with his older group, however. He had discovered very quickly that there was a marked skill difference between those who had been in the D.A. the previous year and those who had not. In the end, Harry had decided to break the older class into two smaller groups by their skill levels. Remus worked with the less skilled group, helping them to catch up. This freed Harry to work with the returning members on their Patronuses and other, more advanced spells.

Harry had also met a couple of times with the group of students he had picked to assist him in acting as intelligence for the Order. Aside from the obvious inclusions of Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna, it had been a difficult choice for him to choose amongst the D.A.'s members. He wanted people that he knew were reliable and that most people felt comfortable with. After a great deal of thought, as well as some consultation with his freinds and Remus, Harry chose Padma Patil, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, and Ernie MacMillan. All five of them could, he felt, blend easily into almost any crowd and would not necessarily be considered a threat to anyone recruited by Voldemort.

Their first meeting had been conducted in the Room of Requirement under the guise of a special project for the D.A. He had not really been sure how much to divulge about their mission. He did not want all of the Order's secrets spread around the school should his instincts about the people he had chosen prove incorrect, however, he wanted to make sure that they all understood exactly what they would be doing and the reprecussions it could have. He had finally settled for a version as close to the truth as he could get. He let them know about Dumbledore's concerns that death eaters would try to infiltrate the school and recruit students. He then went on to tell them that he had been asked to put together an unofficial group of D.A. members to act as the headmaster's eyes and ears amongst their fellow students. He made it clear that they could all refuse should they choose to, none of them did, although Ernie and Hannah were clearly frightened at the thought of death eaters in Hogwarts. Padma and Susan seemed to take the information in stride, both asking a few pertinent questions about what exactly was expected of them and how they were to go about relaying information to Harry, who would then inform Dumbledore. Luna had reacted in her typical dreamy way.

"Of course I'll help Harry," she had said. "It's too bad that Father and I weren't able to capture a crumple horned snorkack this summer, though. They are very sensitive to the prescence of evil, you know."

"Errrrr... right. Thanks Luna," Harry had said as, much to Ron's chagrin, she had begun to hum Weasley Is Our King.

It had been Neville's reaction which had affected Harry the most, however. His friend had looked Harry in the eye and straightened to his full height.

"Harry, I've already promised you that I would do anything I could to help. This is something I know I can do. I only wish that neither of us had to deal with him," Neville had solemnly stated. Harry had only been able to nod, knowing that Neville was referring to the prophecy and their oddly intertwined fates. Hermione had then handed out coins to the group. They were similar to those which had been used for the previous year's D.A. meetings, only these bore the symbol of a pheonix on one side.

"If everyone would please press your thumb to your coin," she had asked. Harry had felt a warm surge in his thumb and his coin flared briefly.

"These are now set to respond to you and only you. Should you have something significant to report, merely press your thumb to it and Harry will know. Under NO circumstances are you to act on, or try to prevent anything which you might overhear. Contact Harry as soon as possible. He will alert the headmaster to deal with it. Harry, your coin is the master coin. Like last year, you'll be able to set a meeting time and place should we need one," Hermione had said briskly.

The meeting had adjourned shortly after that. Thus far, no one had anything of significance to report, although Ernie Macmillan had noticed large groups of Slytherins out close to curfew on several occassions. Harry had relayed their names to Dumbledore, just in case.

With all that had been going on, it wasn't until the end of the third week of school that Harry manged to find time to visit with Hagrid. Harry felt extremely guilty about this. Hagrid had been Harry's first friend in the wizarding world. He did not want him to think that Harry had forgotten him. He, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione arrived at Hagrid's hut to find their friend in his garden tending to the school's giant pumpkins.

"Bout time you lot came down fer a visit," Hagrid smiled.

"I'm really sorry Hagrid," Harry said frowning.

"No need fer tha' Harry. Ginny told me how you was busy with quidditch and your defense lessons and things. Got you runnin ragged from what I hear. C'mon in an' I'll make us some tea," he said ushering them inside. Fang trailed along behind.

"So... how've ya been?" Hagrid asked, once they were all seated with a cup of tea and some of his infamous rock cakes. Harry and the others filled Hagrid in on all that they had been up to. He congratulated Ginny on making the quidditch team. As a former Gryffindor himself, Hagrid was quite pleased to hear that the team's prospects for the upcoming season were good. Ginny thanked him before relaying a story about Colin accidentally casting a tickling charm on Professor McGonnagall. He had been aiming for Marcus Parkinson apparenly, but had missed badly.

"Remind me we need to work on Colin's aim," Harry said laughing. Hagrid clapped him on the back, tears in his eyes.

"It's good to see ya laughin again Harry. I was startin' to wonder if we ever would after last year and then with what happened to Sirius and all," Hagrid shook his shaggy head sadly. Harry sobered instantly and looked down.

"I still miss him, Hagrid," Harry said. Hagrid sighed.

"O' course ya do. He was a good man Sirius. I'll never forget the first time I caught those four scamps up to mischief. They was in me pumpkin patch trying to nick one," Hagrid said chuckling.

"Stealing?" Hermione said disapprovingly. Hagrid nodded smiling beneath his beard.

"Ya shoulda seen them. They knew they was caught. Poor Remus was scared to death, stood his ground though. 'Fraid of dissapointin' Dumbledore more than anything I suspect. Peter o' course ran off like he always did. James an' Sirius though, they stood up straight an' tall. Tried ta convince me tha they weren't really stealin' it. They was more borrowin' it an it was fer a good cause."

"Why were they 'borrowing' it, Hagrid?" Ron asked grinning.

"Well now, they claimed they was goin' ta send it ta Remus' poor sick mum. Course I knew they weren't plannin' nothin of the sort," Hagrid grinned. "I gave em one anyway an told em to jus' ask next time."

"Hagrid, what happened to the pumpkin?" Ginny asked, her eyes twinkling mischieviously. Hagrid chuckled again.

"I heard it ended up in the Slytherin common room. They carved it up an' enchanted it to try an' kiss whoever happened by. It was particularly fond of Professor Snape, followed him around makin' kissin' noises, it did," Hagrid finished as the four teenagers burst into laughter.

"Never thought they'd end up they way tha' they did. James dead, Peter a traitor, an' Sirius well... he was never the same after losin your Dad Harry, and it wasna' just Azkaban," Hagrid said sadly.

"What do you mean Hagrid?" Harry asked.

"Well it was me as Dumbledore sent to fetch tha' night Harry. I'd just pulled ya out of the ruins when Sirius arrived on that flyin' motorbike of his. Pale and shakin' he was. I think he knew even before he saw 'em what'd happened. I never saw anythin' more heartbreakin in me life as Sirius holdin' yer dad and sobbin'...howlin' really. I did me best to comfort him. Reminded him tha' at least you were still alive. Tha' sort of snapped him out of it. He wanted to take ya with him, but Dumbledore said I was to bring you to him. Sirius argued with me about it, but in the end he gave me his bike an' made me promise tha' you'd be safe. After that his eyes went sort of flat and dead, like he'd died with James. I didna see him again until after Azkaban, but he still had the same look in his eyes," Hagrid sighed and shook his head.

Harry blinked back tears at Hagrid's words. He'd always assumed that it was Azkaban which had put the haunted look in Sirius' eyes, now he knew that there was more to it then that. As he fought to reign in his own grief for Sirius and his Dad and all that had been lost to Voldemort, a curious memory flitted through his mind.

"I think I remember that motorcycle," Harry said slowly as he tried to recapture the image. "I used to have dreams about riding on it when I was younger. Whatever happened to it Hagrid?"

"Oh... I've got it in me shed. Would ya like to see it Harry? Reckon it's yours now anyway," Hagrid said.

"Yeah," Harry smiled, excited not only to have something that was important to Sirius, but to change the subject back to something less emotional. Harry and the others followed Hagrid outside and around to the back of his hut where the shed stood. After some banging and a few loud thunks, Hagrid wheeled the motorbike out.

"Wicked!" Ron breathed. Harry could not have agreed more. The bike was all gleaming chrome and black leather. The initials S.B. and a familiar, large dog shape had been etched in silver on the black gas tank. For Harry, it was love at first sight.

"I don't know," Hermione, who had never gotten over her discomfort with flying, said. "It looks sort of dangerous." Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Oh lighten up Hermione. I think it's sexy," Ginny said mischieviously.

"Ginny!" Ron said, scandalized. Ginny just grinned at her brother, while Harry did his best to hide his smile.

"Does it still run Hagrid?" Harry asked. As if in answer, Hagrid stepped aside allowing Harry to sit on it. He then showed him how to start it. As the powerful engine roared to life, Harry felt an answering surge in his blood. His green eyes lit with pure joy and Harry almost reverently reved the engines slightly.

"Well that brings back memories," a voice behind them said. "I'd wondered what had happened to that."

"Remus!" Harry said turning to see his guardian. Lupin was looking rather pale, as the full moon was fast approaching. A smile was on his face however.

"Good morning all," Remus said by way of greeting. He reached out and turned the engine off. "I see you've met Sirius' pride an joy."

"Yeah," Harry said. "Isn't it beautiful?" Lupin chuckled.

"I might've known you'd feel that way. You loved it when Sirius took you on it with him," Remus smiled, remembering.

"He used to take me for rides on it?" Harry asked. Lupin nodded.

"Scared Lily to death. She wasn't a keen flier to begin with, and Sirius tended to drive rather fast. You loved it though. You would shriek with laughter at just the sight of Sirius flying into the yard. James figured out, fairly early on, anytime they couldn't get you to sleep, all he had to do was hand you over to Sirius. Fifteen minutes on there and you'd be out," he said grinning.

"What was Harry like as a baby?" Ginny asked curiously. She was enchanted by the vision of tiny baby Harry wrapped securely in Sirius' arms on the motorcycle. Lupin chuckled.

"He was a bit of a handful, actually. Then again, Sirius didn't help. He taught him how to nick biscuits from the tin when he was just a year old. Harry would distract Lily, and Sirius would grab them. Then they'd sneak off and share their ill-gotten gains. James wasn't much better. He had Harry on a broom before he could walk and was constantly slipping the snitch and quaffles into Harry's crib. You should've seen James when Harry actually caught the thing once," Lupin said chuckling.

"No wonder you were the youngest seeker in a century, mate," Ron laughed.

"Of course, I was your favorite," Lupin said, his eyes twinkling.

"You were?" Harry asked. Lupin nodded smiling.

"All I had to do was walk in the room and you'd reach for me. It used to drive Sirius mad. He never figured out that it was because I always kept chocolate in the pockets of my robes for you," Lupin grinned. They all laughed and continued talking for a while before taking their leave of Hagrid and heading to the castle for lunch.

Harry watched, with a look of concern on his face, as Remus made his way to the staff table. Despite his guardian's jovial mood, he was clearly feeling the stress that the full moon brought. Harry sighed.

"Are you allright Harry?" Hermione asked, laying her hand gently on his arm. Harry nodded.

"I'm just worried about Moony," he replied. Hermione gave him a comforting smile, but he could tell that she was concerned as well.

"It's hard to see him face this every month, but hopefully he won't have to be alone much longer," Hermione said comfortingly. "We're making really good progress."

"Yeah, I've finally got my feet right. Even to Hermione's standards," Ron said teasingly. Hermione let out an indignant humph.

"Next time I'll just let you forget the claws then, although they're fairly important for a lion," she whispered. Ron grinned. He loved enraging his girlfriend nearly as much as she enjoyed besting him in their arguments.

"I think we should try to get some practice in this afternoon," Harry said solemnly. Ginny grimaced, scratching absently at the scar on her forehead.

"I don't know if I can. I have an essay due tomorrow for potions. I'm having alot of trouble with it. I also have to write twelve inches on the difference between telephones, telegraphs, and television for muggle studies," she said.

"I can help you with the muggle studies one, love," Harry volunteered.

"And I'll help you with your potions one," Hermione offered.

"I have an even better plan. Hermione can help you with both and Harry and I can work on quidditch plays," Ron said, smiling mischieviously at Hermione. Instead of the usual argument he expected to get however, she merely nodded, her eyes twinkling.

"You may be right. I've read Harry's essays after all," she deadpanned.

"Hey!" Harry protested, sending his friends into a fit of laughter at his expense.

"As long as you don't mind helping me Hermione, we can practice this afternoon and then work on the essays this evening," Ginny said once the were back under control.

They finished eating and, after a brief stop in Gryffindor Tower to retrieve the Marauders' Map, made their way to a deserted classroom on the third floor. They were originally working in the room of requirement, but too many people knew about because of the D.A. After two seventh years were caught in there, the teachers began to watch it pretty closely. To further insure their privacy, they always brought the map to these sessions. They would take turns watching it and working on their transformations.

Following the guidelines in the book that Harry had found in his library at Grimmauld Place, they were making good progress. According to the guide, there were two keys to animgaus transformation. First, a wizard had to have the power to do it, which they all did. The other critical skill was to be able to visualize the animal shape you wished to take and sort of pour yourself into it. It was this step which allowed the wizard to become the animal. It was also this step that most wizards could not perform. The image had to be detailed and nearly perfect, forgetting even the smallest thing could be disasterous.

The book suggested breaking the animal down and practicing transforming just one part of yourself at a time. This helped to ensure that all the details were just right. They had so far managed to transform their hands and feet into paws, or in Harry's case hooves. All of them had also managed to do their ears, teeth, and fur. They were now working on their faces. After that it would be legs and tails, and then full body transformations.

Harry's legilemensy skills were serving them well in these endeavours. While his friends did their best to fix the image of their animagus forms in their minds, Harry would look at them and offer suggestions. While he had no one to do this for him, Harry found that it didn't seem to matter. Whether because of some genetic ability from his father, or some facet of the powers he had received from Voldemort, Harry seemed to almost innately be able to transform. All of his attempts had succeeded on the first try. He suspected that he might have been able to fully transform already, but did not wish to leave his friends behind.

Ron and Ginny were sitting on the floor in front of him with their eyes closed,concentrating. Harry carefully probed their minds, examining the images that they were working on.

"You forgot nostrils mate. You're going to want those eventually," Harry grinned. While Ron muttered under his breath and scrunched his face in concentration, adding the nostrils. Harry switched his attention to Ginny. Her image was nearly perfect.

"Excellent Ginny. You're missing whiskers, however," he said.

"Damn," she murmured, before carefully adding the whiskers to her image.

"Allright," Harry said after rechecking them both one last time. "You should be ok to try it now. Ron, you go first."

He stepped back and watched as Ron slowly morphed. His red hair became longer and took on a tawny hue. His teeth lengthened and sharpened as his face stretched and darkened into leonine features. When he opened his eyes, they were the liquid gold of the deadly predator he was trying to become. His jaws opened in a wide yawn. Harry looked at him carefully, and could find no flaws.

"Very good. You remembered your nostrils," Harry grinned. Ron snarled a very lion-like snarl, before transforming his face back to normal.

"I cannot wait until we can do whole body transformations," Ron said enthusiastically.

"Ok Gin, your turn," Harry said. Ginny nodded and carefully concentrated on the image in her mind. She felt her ears lengthen and point, and her face stretch into the delicate features of a ginger colored cat. Harry watched her, smiling. He reached out and gently traced the white blaze, which marked where her scar lay. Ginny purred and nuzzled his hand in a decidely feline manner.

"Great job, love" Harry complimented as she too transformed back to her normal self.

"Allright, Ron why don't you take a turn on the map. Hermione can work on transforming now. Ginny, why don't you..." Harry began when, without warning, his scar seared with white hot pain, sending him to his knees.

A/N: Whew... long chappie. Hope you liked it. I'm still not able to respond to reviews unfortunately, however, I am checking them regularly. Thanks go out as always to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of you for reading and reviewing.
Cry Havoc! by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



"Harry!" Ginny exclaimed, instinctively reaching out to support him as he crumpled to the floor.

"Ron go get help!" Hermione ordered, as she too rushed to Harry's side. Ron was out the door before she had even fiished her sentence.

Harry lay on the ground, writhing in pain. He clutched desperately at his scar, which had opened and was dripping blood through his fingers and down his face. Hermione did her best to pry his hands away, trying to stop the bleeding with a corner of her robe. Ginny, meanwhile, held on to him, frantically calling his name in the hopes of bringing him back from whatever was happening.

The door to the classroom slammed open as Dumbledore, closely followed by Remus, Tonks, and Ron, burst in. The headmaster took in the scene at a glance and hurried over to Harry. Dropping to his knees, he placed long, cool fingers across Harry's forehead, murmuring words the others couldn't hear. A blue light flared briefly between them and Harry's painful thrashing stilled for a moment before he lurched upward with a sharp inhilation of breath. Turning abruptly away from Dumbledore, Hermione, and Ginny, he began vomitting helplessly onto the floor. Ginny reached out, gently rubbing his back until he got himself under control. Finally, pale and shaking, he raised his head to look at the others. A collective gasp echoed through the room at the sight of his blood covered face.

"Bloody hell," Ron breathed.

"What happened Harry?" a visibly pale Lupin asked. Harry saw Tonks comfortingly grabbing Remus' hand, as he fought to subdue the throbbing in his head enough to answer.

"Voldemort," Harry managed to choke out. Taking a deep steadying breath, he continued," He's sending Dementors and some death eaters to the Ministry. He wants to free the prisoners there. He knows that the aurors are spread too thin between there and Azkaban. I think... I think that he is also planning another attack in Diagon Alley as a distraction." Dumbledore rose smoothly, his blue eyes somber.

"Tonks, Remus... Summon as many Order members as you can raise and get them to my office as soon as possible. " They nodded and swiftly left the room.

"Harry, do you have your father's cloak with you?" Dumbledore asked. Harry mutely shook his head, sending a wave of dizziness through him.

"Dobby?" Dumbledore called. With a quiet pop, the house elf appeared.

"Yes, Professor Dumbledore sir? You is wanting Dobby?" the elf squeaked.

"Yes, Dobby. Could you please fetch Mr. Potter's invisibility cloak from his room for us? We need to get him to my office without anyone seeing him," Dumbledore explained. Dobby turned then, spying Harry for the first time. His tennis ball shaped eyes widened.

"What is happened to Harry Potter? Who is doing this to him? Dobby is not letting anyone hurt Harry Potter!" Dobby declared fiercly.

"It looks alot worse than it really is, Dobby. If you could just get my cloak, please," Harry reassured him.

Dobby nodded and disappeared with a pop, reappearing moments later with the cloak in hand. Harry took it from him with a quietly murmured thanks.

"Could you please ask Madame Pomfrey to come to my office Dobby?" Dumbledore said gently.

"Yes sir, Professor Dumbledore sir," Dobby squeaked, disappearing.

"Harry, I'd like you to sit in on the Order meeting today. We need to get you there without overly disturbing the other students, however, so I'm afraid you'll have to wear your cloak," the headmaster said.

"What about us professor?" Ginny asked.

"I'm sorry Miss Weasley, but your mother has refused to give either you or Mr. Weasley permission, as have Miss Granger's parents. You will have to return to Gryffindor Tower," he replied gently.

"Sorry guys," Harry said consolingly. "I'll tell you what happens when I get back." The others were obviously upset, but knew that they didn't have much choice but to agree. Ginny grabbed him, quickly kissing him before following Ron and Hermione out of the room.

Harry covered himself with his cloak, and he and Dumbledore quietly made their way to the headmaster's office. Several of the Order members, including Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill, and Charlie, were already waiting. A worried looking Mrs. Weasley stood up when they entered.

"Albus, Remus said it was an emergency meeting. It's not the children is it? They're allright aren't they?" she demanded. Sighing, Harry removed the cloak and braced himself for Mrs. Weasley's reaction. Yet again, a collective gasp was heard around the room.

"Bloody hell!" Charlie gasped, uknowingly echoing Ron. Feeling a curious sense of deja vu, Harry rubbed his still throbbing scar. Mrs. Weasley put a protective arm around Harry and glared at the headmaster.

"What happened to him Professor? Why exactly is he not in the hospital wing and where are the others? " she demanded.

"They're fine, Mrs. Weasley. I am too," he hastened to reassure her. "My scar just opened up is all. It's already closed again, though. See?" Harry lifted his bangs. Indeed, the scar had resealed itself, although it was looking angry and red.

"Molly, if you'll please sit down, all will be explained. I've sent for Poppy as a precaution. She should be here any moment. Lemon drop?" Dumbledore asked with a smile, despite the gravity of the situation. Molly shook her head before forcing Harry to sit and proceeded to fuss over him mercilessly. A short time later, the office door opened and Professor Snape swept into the room accompanied by Madame Pomfrey. A slight widening of his eyes was the only sign that he acknowledged Harry's prescence. Madame Pomfrey clicked her tongue and shook her head.

"Potter. I should've known. What did you do this time?" she said, reaching into a large bag she had carried in with her. Harry quietly told her what had happened. Muttering under her breath, she waved her wand cleansing the blood off of his face, though his shirt was still covered with it. Looking closely at his scar, she retrieved a jar of salve from her bag and liberally applied it to the jagged, lightning bolt shaped mark on his forehead. When she was satisfied, she covered it with a clean, white bandage.

"Does your head still hurt Potter?" she asked.

"No miss. Not much," he murmured, embarassed at the attention he was receiving. Everyone in the room was silently watching as Madame Pomfrey treated him. She nodded handing him two potions, which he obediantly drank.

"It seems to have healed itself, Headmaster. I put some salve on it, just in case. I also gave him a blood replenshing potion and something for his headache," she, rather unecessarily in Harry's opinion, reported. Dumbledore was after all sitting in the room watching, along with everyone else.

"Thank you, Poppy," Dumbledore smiled as the door to his office opened, admitting Remus, Tonks, Kingsley, and Mad-Eye. Remus gave Harry a quick, assessing look before turning to the headmaster.

"This is all we could rouse Albus," Remus said. "Fred and George stayed behind in Diagon Alley. They're going to alert us if anything happens."

"Very well, let us start then. As I'm sure many of you have surmised, Harry has had another visit from Voldemort, this one a little more violent then previous ones. Although, I believe it was not his intention to allow it, Harry was able to get a glimpse of his plans. As we speak, dementors and death eaters are being sent against the Ministry to release the prisoners being held there. Furthermore, a second attack is being unleashed upon Diagon Alley," Dumbledore said.

"Albus, the aurors are spread too thin. We'll never be able to hold them off at the Ministry and defend the people in Diagon Alley," Kingsley said in his deep voice

"Headmaster, how do we know Potter's information is correct? He's been misled before," Snape said, sending a glare in Harry's direction. Harry saw the Weasley's and Remus tense, ready to jump to his defense.

"You're right, Professor. I have been, but in this instance I'm not," Harry said quietly.

"How can you know that, Potter?" Snape hissed with the special contempt he reserved just for Harry.

"Because he was so focused on doing as much damage to me as he could, that he didn't put up his guards as well as he should have. He also didn't expect Professor Dumbledore to come to my aid as quickly as he did, so I was able to get a glimpse into his mind. Diagon Alley is to distract the aurors. He intended to do enough damage to me to distract the Order," Harry said glaring at the potion's master. They really did not have time to be discussing this when an attack was eminent.


The fire in the office flared green as Harry finished speaking, and Fred (or possibly George) Weasley's head appeared in the flames.

"It's started, Professor. There's probably ten death eaters here. They've brought dementors with them," the twin reported.

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore said. "We'll be there shortly. It would appear, Severus, that Mr. Potter's information was indeed accurate. Alastor, Nymphadora, Kingsley, Arthur, Bill, Charlie and I will go to the Ministry. Molly, Minerva, Hagrid, Mundungus, Remus, and Harry, you go to Diagon Alley and meet up with the twins. Severus, as you can not be seen fighting with us, you will stay here and monitor communications."

"Absolutely not," Mrs. Weasley protested. "You cannot be serious about sending Harry with us. He's just a child. A child, I might add, who has just been injured."

"Molly, Potter is just as capable as the rest of us, more than some. We don't have the time to argue or the resources to coddle him. We need him. Now let's move," Moody barked. Mrs. Weasley, though still obviously upset, ceased arguing. Dumbledore quickly made two portkeys, handing one to Remus.

"Everyone be careful," Mrs. Weasley said, shooting a concerned look at her husband and sons.

"Constant vigilence!" Moody added, as Harry felt the tug of the portkey activating.

With a lurch, he was standing at the entrance to Diagon Alley. Chaos reigned in the place where Harry had gotten his first glimpse into the wizarding world. Terrified witches and wizards were running everywhere, as three groups of dementors glided through the crowds. Further down, Harry could see two red heads pinned into the doorway of a shop. A loud explosion rocked the street and several death eaters fell, victims to one of the twin's dark bombs. Mrs. Weasley, 'Dung, and Hagrid charged in the direction Fred and George were hiding, leaving Harry, Remus, and Professor McGonnagall to deal with the dementors.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry heard Remus cry. He saw a large, silver wolf streak off towards a group of dementors that were surrounding a young witch. Two tiny children were clinging, terrified, to her robes as she tried desperately to conjure a patronus.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry shouted, watching his patronus tear through the second cluster of dementors.

"Expecto Patronum!" rent the air a third time, as Professor McGonnagall sent her patronus to deal with the last group. The dementors scattered and fled under the force of the combined patroni. Harry, Remus, and McGonnagall in pursuit.

"Mum! No!" Harry heard one of the twins cry, as he directed his patronus after the dementors. Turning he saw, as if in slow motion, a jet of purple light catch Mrs. Weasley in the side. She crumpled to the ground, blood pouring from the long gash left by the spell. He saw Fred and George take up a protective stance over their mum, their expressions more fierce than anything Harry had ever seen. Desperately they shot spell after spell at the death eaters, heedless of the danger to themselves.

Harry found himself running for them. He noticed that several of the death eaters, who had fallen, had begun to shake off the effects of the bomb the twins had set off earlier and were starting to rejoin the fight. Harry could feel the power and fire rising in him again, as it had when Ginny had been attacked. His family was in danger, and he would protect it whatever the cost. One of the newly risen death eaters raised their wand, aiming at the twins.

"Avada..." the death eater began.

"No!" Harry shouted, drawing a ball of pure energy from the air around him, much how he had that night in the room of requirement when he had told Neville about the prophecy. With a flick of his hand, he sent the ball hurtling at the death eater, incinerating him before he could finish his curse. Dimly, he felt part of his mind recoil at the knowledge that he had just taken a life. He did not have time to dwell on it, however. Almost as one, the remaining death eaters turned spotting Harry.

"It's the Potter boy," one of them snarled.

Harry suddenly found himself surrounded and fighting for his life. He allowed the flames around him to form a shield, and began to shoot spell after spell at the hapless attackers, not even bothering to use his wand. Hagrid and 'Dung raced to his aid. Grabbing the two closest death eaters, Hagrid banged their heads together with a dull thump, sending them collapsing to the ground. 'Dung, meanwhile, was furiously sending spells back forth with two more.

"Avada kedavra!" one of the death eaters cried. His spell slammed into a barrel of pickled newts Harry had summoned into it's path, exploding it into splinters.

"I really dislike that spell," Harry growled, flicking his hand again and sending the death eater head first into a nearby wall. 'Dung had finally dispatched with his two and was looking somewhat awed at Harry. Spotting the last of the death eaters still fighting with the Weasley twins, Harry strode down the street towards them. With a startled glance in his direction, the robed figures disapperated quickly.

Both twins dropped to their knees beside their fallen Mum, whom Harry had not seen move since she had gone down. He raced to join them, his heart hammering in his chest.

"Is she..." he said, unable to finish the sentence as Fred raised his devestated eyes to him.


Please do not hate me for this evil cliffie. I promise to put the next chapter up as soon as this one gets posted. Thanks go out as always to Danielle my fantabulous moderator. I also wish to thank my son William, my beta, who is ready to strangle me because I refuse to tell him if Mrs. Weasley is dead or not. Thanks also go out to all of you wonderful, wonderful people who take the time to not only read this story, but review it.
Flight of the Pheonix by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harsh, dry sobs wracked George Weasley as he knelt with his brother next to the immobile form of Mrs. Weasley. Fred put an arm around him, as they tried to find comfort in each other's prescence as only twins can. Their heads were bowed. Their anguish was even more palpable for the joy which they normally exuded.

"No! " Harry whispered, dropping to his knees next to them. "Not her too... no."

His whole body shook. He reached out and gently took one of her cold hands in his. He pulled it to him, squeezing it. He nearly dropped it when he felt a faint, but very definate, squeeze in return. Gasping, he felt her wrist for a pulse and could have cried in joy when he felt one. It was heartrendingly weak, but it was there.

"She's alive!" he breathed. "Fred, George she's alive!" Twin heads snapped up, and hope returned to twin sets of eyes.

"We've got to help her," George cried. "Mum? Can you hear us?" A faint fluttering of her lashes was the only response he received. Looking around, Harry spotted Remus and McGonnagall rushing towards them. Getting up, he ran as fast as his legs would carry him to his guardian.

"Remus! Mrs. Weasley... she's hurt. It's bad, Moony. We have to get her to St. Mungo's now!" he shouted. Remus' eyes widened in concern as he and Professor McGonnagall followed Harry back to Molly Weasley. Lupin quickly took charge. Conjuring bandages, he efficiently bound them around her. They slowed, but did not completely stop the blood which leeked from her side.

"Fred, George... Do you think that you two can apparate with her?" Remus asked. They nodded, determinedly.

"Good. Go then. Get her to St. Mungo's," he ordered. They each grabbed a hold of their mum and disappeared with a pop.

"Minerva," Remus said, turning to Professor McGonnagall. "Go to Hogwarts. Let Ron, Ginny, and Hermione know what has happened. They will want to get to St. Mungo's as well, I'm sure. The rest of us will head to the Ministry, so that Arthur and the boys can get to Molly's side," Remus said. Everyone nodded and disappeared, except for Harry and Remus.

"I should go to Ginny and Ron..." Harry began.

"I know that is where your heart is Harry, but they are going to need us at the Ministry," Lupin interrupted. Taking the portkey from earlier, he reset it for the Ministry. Harry grabbed a hold of it, and felt the familiar tug as it activated.

A pitched battle raged in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic. Harry, almost immediately, felt himself growing cold, and heard the familiar screaming eachoing in his ears. Dementors glided everywhere as aurors and Ministry officials attempted to hold them off. He saw the Weasleys, Hagrid, 'Dung, Moody, and Tonks guarding the elevators to the detention level from a determined group of death eaters. Harry saw no sign of Professor Dumbledore, although from the sound of distant explosions he could hear, he assumed that the headmaster was busy elsewhere.

"Nymphadora!" he heard Remus shout. What could only be described as a swarm of dementors was converging upon Tonks, who had been battling in front of the outermost set of elevators.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry hollered, sending his patronus charging to the rescue. Remus quickly followed suit, scattering the dementors. They raced towards Tonks. Remus reached her first and pulled her with them, away from the main part of the battle.

"Are you allright?" he asked. Though pale and shaking, she nodded. He immediately pulled a bar of chocolate from his robes and handed it to her.

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in Diagon Alley?" Tonks demanded, breaking off a piece of chocolate and popping it into her mouth.

"Molly's hurt. We have to let Arthur and the boys know. There may not be much time," Remus said .

"Oh no!" Tonks exclaimed.

Harry only dimly heard her. This was wrong. Mrs. Weasley could be dying. She needed her family and they were stuck here, fighting. The dead and injured lay scattered across the floor of the very Ministry itself. Harry saw Perkins, Mr. Weasley's assistant, sitting in a corner staring sightlessly ahead and knew he had been the victim of a dementor.

"This has to stop... now," Harry said, and began to walk towards the center of the battle.

"Harry! What are you doing?" he heard Remus call. He ignored him, closing his eyes. For the first time in his life, Harry consciously began to tap into the power which he had only been able to access in fear and anger. Taking a deep breath, he focused on drawing the energy to him and harnessing it. Opening his eyes once again, he saw people staring at him in awe and knew that he was covered in the green fire which had become so familiar to him. Stretching out his hand, he cast the patronus charm once more.

"Expecto Patronum!" he roared. Harry felt a surge of power rush from his chest, up his arm, and out through his fingertips. He blinked in astonishment. Instead of the silver stag form his patronus normally took, a flaming green pheonix soared through the mass of dementors. A series of unholy shrieks rose from amongst the black forms. Those the new patronus touched began to smoke and steam. Almost as one, they retreated before him, pouring out of the Ministry like ants from an anthill. The remaining death eaters, realizing that their most fearsome allies had deserted them, apperated away. The pheonix wheeled around to hover before Harry, who reached out his hand to it. There was a curious sense of merging when they touched, then the patronus dissipated.

"Certainly know how to make an entrance don't you boy?" he heard Mad-Eye Moody growl from behind him. Whirling to face him, Harry abruptly became aware that he was the focus of every eye in the room, as well as quiet a few murmured conversations. Normally, he would have been absolutely mortified to be the center of attention like he currently was. Just now however, he did not have time to worry about it.

"Where is Mr. Weasley?" Harry demanded impatiently of his former professor.

"I'm right here, Harry," Arthur Weasley called from nearby. He walked over to them, and, seeing Harry's face frowned. "What is it? What's happened?"

Harry saw the concern, and a trace of fear, in Mr. Weasley's kind face. He had no idea how to tell him something like this. He had never been more relived then when he felt Remus' hand on his shoulder and heard his guardian's hoarse voice saving him from breaking the news.

"We need to get to St. Mungo's now, Arthur. Bill and Charlie will want to come too. And Percy if he's here," Remus said.

"The twins?" Mr. Weasley asked, his voice shaking.

"No Arthur. The boys are fine," Remus replied. Mr. Weasley shook his head in disbelief.

"No... Not Molly, Remus. Tell me it's not Molly," he gasped.

"I'm sorry Arthur. The twins took her to St. Mungo's, but she was in pretty bad shape," Lupin said gently. The two oldest Weasley children, seeing their father's obvious distress, hurried over to him.

"Boys find Percy. We need to get to St. Mungo's," said Mr. Weasley in a shaky voice.

"What's going on Dad?" Bill asked, looking from his visibly shaken father to an uncommonly grave looking Harry.

"It's your Mum, Bill," Harry said softly.

"Mum?" Bill said. His mind would simply not wrap around the concept of the unsinkable Molly Weasley in St. Mungo's. She had not even gone there when his brothers and sister were born, but had had them at home instead.

"What about Mum?" Charlie demanded.

"She was injured in the fighting at Diagon Alley," Mr. Weasley said, as though he couldn't really believe it himself.

"But she's allright though?" Bill asked urgently, his eyes begging them to say that she was. Harry looked down, unable to lie to him.

"Fred and George took her to St. Mungo's. She was alive but..." He couldn't force himself to say anymore. Bill, who had always seemd so in control to Harry, took a step back, shaking his head in denial. Charlie put a steadying hand on his older brother's shoulder, offering him silent comfort.

"We...we need to tell Percy, Ron, and Ginny," Mr. Weasley said, running a shaking hand through his thinning hair and making it stand on end. It was painful for Harry to see him looking so lost. These were the people he considered his family, and he had no idea how to comfort them right now.

"Minerva went to get Ron and Ginny, Arthur. Harry and I will find Percy and meet you all there," Remus told him.

"C'mon Dad. We'll go through the floo. I don't think apperating is a good idea for any of us just now," Charlie said as he lead his father and older brother toward the fireplaces, which lined one wall.

"Have you seen Percy in all this mess, Alastor?" Lupin asked the auror, who had been watching the sad, all too familiar for him, scene unfold. Moody took a quick look around, his magical blue eye revolving crazily in his head.

"There, with Dumbledore," he said, pointing to a door across the room as Percy and the headmaster strode in it. Remus and Harry made their way over to them. Harry was struck immediately by how different Percy looked. He still had the same air of pompous arrogance as he always had, but there were shadows in his eyes which spoke of lessons learned the hard way. The muggle phrase "sadder but wiser" popped into his mind.

"Harry? Remus?" the headmaster said, eyeing them gravely.

"There was a problem in Diagon Alley, Albus," Remus said, casting a surreptious glance at Percy. "Molly Weasley has been injured. Fred and George took her to St. Mungo's. I sent Minerva to get Ron and Ginny. The rest of us came here to let Arthur and the boys know and assist in the battle. I'm sorry, Percy."

"My mother was injured?" Percy said, shocked. "How bad is it? Is she going to be allright?"

"We don't know Percy. She was in pretty bad shape though. I'm sorry," Remus said again.

"You should go to her, Percy," Dumbledore said gently. Percy shook his head.

"They won't want me there," he said softly. His face mirrored his guilt and pain.

"You're wrong, Percy. Yes, your brothers and sister are mad at you. Truthfully, they have every right to be, but they won't turn you away right now. They know how much it would mean to your Mum for you to be there. Seeing the family reunited may be just the thing she needs to give her the strength to fight," Harry said. Percy drew himself up to his full height and smiled sadly at Harry.

"Thank you, Harry. For what it's worth, I am truly sorry for all of it," Percy said. Harry nodded.

"I know you are, Percy. Now go to your family. They need you," Harry said. With a final nod, Percy strode to the nearest apparation point and disappeared.

"That was very nicely done, Mr. Potter. I understand you've been quite busy today," Dumbledore said solemnly. Harry looked around at the devastation that the attack had wrought in the Ministry. Across the room, Hagrid, 'Dung, Tonks, and Moody were busily working to help the injured. Help had arrived from St. Mungo's, but with all the fighting, every available hand was needed.

"It needed to be stopped, and I had the power to stop it. Anyone else in the Order would have done the same," Harry shrugged. He had always been uncomfortable in taking any praise for his actions. This held especially true when so many had fought so bravely, as they had today.

"Damn!" Remus said. "We need to get Harry out of here now, Albus." Harry followed Lupin's line of vision and saw several dozen reporters pouring out of the fireplaces across the room. Most of them were headed Harry's way, with Rita Skeeter in the lead. Harry cringed.

"Yes, I imagine you'd rather avoid that. I believe your friends are need of you as well, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said kindly. Taking a bag of Bertie Bott's from inside his robes, he quickly turned it into a portkey holding it out for Remus and Harry to take hold. Waving impishly at Rita, Dumbledore activated it and Harry felt a pull behind his navel as he was whisked away to St. Mungo's.

A/N: One more chapter down. I hope you liked it. Thanks go out to the wonderful Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta and telling me when I forget about people who are supposed to be in the room (I had to add in Hagrid and 'Dung I forgot both of them were there), and finally... thanks to all of you for reading and reviewing. I'm still having issues responding to reviews so, I'm going to answer a couple of the questions I have been asked.

-American 89 had asked about Harry's age when his parents died. It's my understanding that his parents died when he was 15 months old. He woul have been walking and starting to talk by then.

-elka78 asked why Crabbe and Goyle weren't arrested with Draco. While Ginny and the others were fairly certain that Crabbe and Goyle were involved, there just was not enough proof to get them. Also, no. Harry will not tell the D.A. that he was almost sorted into Slytherin, or at least I'm not planning on it.

Once again, thanks for reading and for all of your extremely nice reviews. Next chapter, St. Mungo's, the fate of Mrs. Weasley, and more with Percy.

Waiting by Weasley Mom
********I would like Danielle to be the moderator for this chapter please. Thank you. *******



A/N: all of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Leaving Harry and Dumbledore, Remus walked briskly to the information desk and inquired of the witch there where Mrs. Weasley was being treated. He returned after a brief, whispered conversation.

"She's in the Spell Damage Ward: Life Threatening Unit," he said grimly, before leading them through the hospital. He seemed to be extremely comfortable in the medical surroundings, and knew exactly where to go. Harry had noticed this before on his visits with Remus to see Aunt Petunia. He narrowed his eyes in thought.

"Remus?" Harry asked. "Have you had to be in here alot?"

"No, usually my lycanthropy doesn't require medical attention. Why do you ask?" Remus said distractedly,
as they waited for the lift to take them to the next floor. Harry shrugged.

"You've just always seemed very familiar with the place is all," Harry replied. Remus nodded and stepped onto the lift, which had finally arrived.

"I would hope so. I did most of my training here," his guardian said. Harry's eyes widened.

"I didn't know that you were a healer, Remus," he said. Remus smiled, a trifle bitterly.

"That would be because I'm not. I trained to be. I was at the top of my class too, despite how abysmal I have always been at potions. In my last year, the Werewolf Regulation Acts went through, though. I never got to finish."

"That's...that's..." Harry said, too outraged for words.

"Water under the bridge, Harry. I've moved on, and I really do enjoy teaching. Thank you though," he said softly. Dumbledore had remained quiet throughout the exchange, although he watched Remus with a solemn look in his eyes.

A soft ding announced that they had arrived on the right floor, and they exited the elevator. Lupin led them down a long corridor to a doorway marked Family Waiting Area. He opened the door and ushered Harry inside. As he stepped in, Harry was nearly knocked to the ground by the impact of a sobbing Ginny hurling herself at him.

"Oh Harry! I was so worried... and Mum is... and then Professor McGonnagall said you'd gone to the Ministry and Harry...my Mum," she sobbed. Harry wrapped his arms around her, patting her on the back gently as he'd seen Mrs. Weasley do.

"Shhhh... It'll be ok Ginny. Your Mum will be ok. I'm sorry I couldn't get there in time to stop them. I should've protected her better. I'm so sorry," Harry soothed. He felt the guilt welling up to consume him. He was supposed to be the bloody savior of the wizarding world, and yet again he had failed to protect those he loved. He kissed the top of Ginny's hair, repeating over and over again how sorry he was.

"Harry, you stupid prat," Fred Weasley said angrily from behind him. Harry sprang away from Ginny and turned to face the twins.

"When are you going to stop taking the blame for everything that mad man does?" an equally angry George said.

"You didn't fail us or Mum. You saved us," Fred said his eyes flashing

"Mum would've died if she hadn't got treatement. You were the one that made sure she did," George added.

"Besides," added Fred, "you were halfway down Diagon Alley chasing off a whole flock of dementors when she was hit."

"And then there is the fact that you blew up that death eater who was in the middle of casting the killing curse at us. I'd say you have nothing to be sorry for mate," said George, his voice softening.

It hit Harry with the force of an oncoming train then... he had killed a person. He'd managed to block it out of his mind with the happenings at the Ministry and in his worry for Mrs. Weasley, but now it filled his mind. He was no better than Voldemort. His eyes widened and he started to back away, when he felt Ginny's hand in his.

"They're right, Harry. You saved my Mum, and brothers, and who knows how many more people today. If it's anyone's fault, it's Tom's," he heard Ginny say. He looked down at her, saw the tears still sprakling on her cheeks, and forced himself to push his feelings, once again, to the back of his mind. He'd deal with it later. Right now, Ginny needed him.

"Y-you're right. I need to stop blaming myself," Harry said, not really believing it. "So... how is your Mum?"

"We don't know. They aren't saying much yet," she said. Harry nodded, watching the twins as they walked over to Remus and Dumbledore. He looked around then, checking to see how the rest of the Weasleys were handling the situation. Mr. Weasley sat on a long orange couch which stood along one wall. Bill, idolly twirled a styrofoam cup in his hands, watching the liquid swirl inside it. Charlie held a second cup and was softly talking to his father, as though trying to get him to take it. Ron stood across the room, behind Hermione. He had his arms wrapped around her and his chin rested on her head. His expression was completely blank, and Harry was fairly certain that his friend was not even aware of his presence. In a corner, away from everyone else, his arms wrapped tightly around himself and his eyes cast down, stood Percy. Ginny followed his gaze to her outcast brother, biting her lip in indecision.

"He almost didn't come, you know," Harry said quietly. "He didn't think anyone would want him here. I talked him into it."

"Harry, do you mind if..." she began. Harry shook his head.

"Go ahead Ginny. He needs you," he said gently. She pecked him on the cheek and then walked over to her brother. Harry watched as she spoke softly to him. He saw Percy look up, startled for a moment, before he opened his arms to her and she hurled herself at him, much as she had Harry earlier. Percy wrapped his arms about her, choking back a sob. Mr. Weasley looked up at the sound and, with a determined look on his face, walked over to them.

"Percy?" he said quietly. Percy jerked his head up, pulling away from Ginny.

"Dad... I'm..." he began. Mr. Weasley said nothing, just wrapped his prodigal son in a fierce hug. One by one, the other Weasley children began to walk over to their father, brother, and sister. Though Harry knew that all was, by far, not forgiven, for now a truce had been reached. As the family drew on each other for support and comfort, he looked on amazed and a trifle envious. He felt a gentle touch on his shoulder and turned to see Hermione, tears sparkling in her eyes.

"Beautiful isn't it?" she said quietly. Harry could only nod.

"Once again Mr. Potter, well done," said Dumbledore. Harry shrugged.

"It was all Ginny, sir," he said, looking down awkwardly.

"I think you helped more than you know, Harry," Dumbledore responded.

"Hermione," said Lupin, who had come over with Dumbledore," Why don't we see if we can find food for everyone. This is porbably going to be a long wait."

Sensing that Dumbledore wanted to talk to Harry alone, Hermione nodded and followed the professor out of the room. Dumbledore smiled and motioned Harry over to some chairs, which sat in one of the corners. They could talk there without disturbing the others.

"Remus tells me that you used your wandless magic today in Diagon Alley and again in the Ministry to drive the dementors away," the headmaster said, without preamble. Harry nodded.

"Yes, sir," he said. Images of what had happened in Diagon Alley and the Ministry flitted through his mind. He ached with the thought that he had killed, that he may have taken a parent away from another child, the way his had been taken from him.

"Harry," Dumbledore said gently, seeming to sense his thoughts. "You saved your friends today in Diagon Alley. You acted out of necessity, not for revenge or a thirst for power."

"I killed someone today, professor. I didn't have to. I should've found another way to stop him. I could've disarmed him or stunned him, but I saw him ready to curse Fred and George and I acted. All I could think was that he had to be stopped, so I did it. I'm no better than the people we're trying to fight," he said in a low voice. His agony was clearly visible in his eyes, before he averted them, looking down at the floor. Dumbledore regarded him sadly, sighing.

"Your father was just two years older than you are now when I had this conversation with him, Harry," he said. Harry's head snapped up .

"My dad?" Harry asked. The headmaster nodded.

"He was in auror training at the time. He'd been out on what was supposed to be a 'routine' training mission, but they ended up encountering some death eaters. One of them had Sirius cornered, and James, much like you, did what he had to. He cast a reductor curse at the man. It hit him squarely in the head, killing him instantly. Your father was devastated. He nearly dropped out of the program, until I reminded him that his intent had not been to kill the death eater but to save Sirius. It's the same with you, Harry. Did you cast that spell with the intent of killing the death eater or saving your friends?" he asked.

"I wanted to save them. I had to save them. They are my family," Harry said quietly. He wanted desperately to think of it in the terms Dumbledore did.

"The try to remember that was what was in your heart. It was rescue Harry, not murder," Dumbledore said gently. Harry nodded.

"Thank you, Professor."

"You're most welcome. There is, I'm afraid, one more matter we need to discuss. I'd rather not do it here, however, I recognize the folly in trying to get you anywhere else right now," he said kindly, his eyes twinkling over his half-moon spectacles.

"What's that, sir?" Harry asked.

"That extraordinary patronus which you cast at the Ministry," he said. "Remus tells me that it, not only, was not your normal patronus form, but that you cast it without the use of your wand." Harry nodded.

"Yes sir. I used the meditation techniques I learned for occlumency, this summer. I just sort of cleared my mind and concentrated on drawing my magic into me and then releasing it at the dementors. I was as suprised as everyone else when it was a green pheonix instead of a silver stag," Harry said. He could practically see the wheels turning in Dumbledore's head as he digested Harry's words.

"Well, it seems you've made quite a bit of progress in a very short time, Harry," he said.

"Sir, there's more. I don't think it was exactly a normal patronus, I mean, aside from the fact that it wasn't silver. I think it actually hurt the dementors when it touched them and when it came back to me...." Harry hesitated searching for the right words. "It was like I absorbed it back into me rather than letting it dissipate. Does that make any sense?" Dumbledore's eyes widened.

"You're quite certain of this Harry?" he asked. Harry nodded. Dumbledore gazed intently at him for a moment, and then seemed to reach some decision.

"I think that I'm going to have to look into this further before I reach any conclusions. For now however, I believe that you should go to your friends."

Harry glanced over at the Weasleys, again. They had broken apart once more. Now, however, Percy was standing with Mr. Weasley and Ginny, while Bill and Charlie stood a little ways apart, talking to the twins. Fred and George appeared to be getting an account of what had transpired at the Ministry. Ron was sitting alone on the couch, his head in his hands.

"I think you're right, professor... and thank you again," Harry said, before rising and walking over to Ron. He sat down next to his best friend, not really sure what to say. He suddenly felt he knew what Ron had gone through, trying to find the words for him after Sirius had died.

"Allright mate?" he finally settled on, feeling hopelessly inept. Ron looked up and nodded stoically. His eyes, however, gave away the fear he was feeling.

"She'll be ok, Ron. Your mum is the strongest person I know," Harry said, praying that he was right.

"But what if she isn't, Harry?" Ron said, his voice breaking. "What would we do without her?" Harry thought about all the empty lies and meaningless platitudes people had given him, and decided to answer as honestly as he could.

"I don't know. I hope we never find out," he said simply.

"I'll tell you what we'd do, Ron," Ginny said. Neither boy had seen her come over. "We'd go on fighting, like she'd want. We'd help Harry beat Tom, and then we'd live our lives and be happy and never, ever forget her."

Her voice trembled, and Harry could see unshed tears in her eyes, as she tried desperately to fill her mum's roll as the heart of the family. She sat down next to her brother, putting her arm around his back and laying her head on her shoulder. Ron, in turn, snaked his arm around his sister and leaned his head over so it lay on hers. Closing his eyes, he finally gave in to his pain and fear, allowing his tears to trickle slowly from underneath his lashes.

"Thanks sis," he said in an unsteady voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several hours later, Harry sat on the waiting room couch with Ginny, asleep in his arms. His mind was whirling with thoughts of all that had happened that day. His thoughts flew from the bittersweet memories Lupin and Hagrid had shared with Harry, to the fights in Diagon Alley and the Ministry, and finally to the pain and worry that they all felt over Mrs. Weasley. He looked around at his surrogate family.

Ron and Hermione sat on the other end of the couch, holding hands and talking quietly. Hermione had been a rock for Ron, and Harry was unsure how his friend would have made it through the difficult waiting without her. Across the room, Mr. Weasley sat with his three oldest children, who were offering him what comfort they could. The twins seemed to be taking it the hardest. They had been there when their mother fell and seemed to feel, despite their earlier words to Harry, that her condition was their fault. Dumbledore had left shortly after his talk with Harry, but Remus remained. He sat drinking coffee with Tonks, who had arrived just after Dumbledore left. She kept casting Remus worried looks, and with good reason. Remus was not looking well at all. Harry remembered, then, that the next night would be a full moon, and sighed, knowing what awaited his guardian. The sound of the waiting room door opening broke his reverie. Everyone immediately came to attention.

"Mr. Weasley?" an exhausted looking healer inquired.

"Gin?" Harry said, nudging her awake and nodding towards the healer. She cast a wide fearful look at her boyfriend. He marveled at how strong she had been for her brothers and father that night, allowing no one but him to see just how scared and worried she really was.

"It'll be ok, love," he said gently, helping her to her feet. Taking her hand, he lead her over to where the rest of the family stood listening to the healer.

"She's awake, now. She has been through quite a trauma, however, and lost quite a bit of blood. That spell is fatal nine times out of ten. It attacks the internal organs and can do quite a bit of damage. She is, obviously, a very resilient, very strong witch. .She will be very weak for a while, and is going to need plenty of rest, however, we feel that she will make a full recovery."

Cries of delight, and great whoops of sheer joy (from the twins) broke out. Ginny hugged Harry fiercely and kissed him, before moving on to her dad and brothers. Ron had wrapped Hermione in a bear hug and swung her around the room.

"Did you hear that, Hermione? She's going to be fine! Mum is allright!" he was shouting.

A sudden clarity of thought reached Harry then, as he joined in the Weasley's celebration. As he saw their joy and love for one another, he knew. This was what he was fighting for. This was what he would kill, had killed, to defend. This was his family, the people he loved. No matter what it took, he would stop Voldemort before the pain and darkness he brought touched them again.


A/N: Now you know. I just couldn't bring myself to kill Mum. Thanks, as always, go out to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of you for your wonderful reviews. A couple of people have asked if the spell which hit Mrs. Weasley was the same a theone which hit Hermione at the Ministry... yes it was, onlythis onewas full force because the death eater was actually able to speak the incantation. Next chapter: Halloween, Hogsmede, Pranks, and the motorcycle
Pranks, Pigs, and Midnight Rides by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny had returned to school two days after the attacks on Diagon Alley and the Ministry, at Mrs. Weasley's insistance. Mrs. Weasley herself, though weak as the the healer had predicted, had been discharged about five days later. She was staying at Grimmauld Place, where all five of her older children were spoiling her mercilessly. At Harry's request, Dumbledore had sent Dobby there, as well. The house elf had solemnly promised Harry that he would see that "Harry Potter's Weezy Mum" was taken proper care of. Harry hoped that she was enjoying the pampering, assuming she allowed it. Mrs. Weasley was, after all, just as strong-willed and stubborn as her children.

Halloween seemed to arrive before Harry knew it, and with it the first Hogsmede visit. He was looking forward to it as he never had before, because he knew that he would be going with Ginny. Though they had been going out since Harry's birthday, they had yet to have a real date. Aside from that, between quidditch, the D.A., classes, his training, meetings for Dumbledore's special project, and their continued animagus practice, not to mention the mountains of homework Ginny was dealing with for her OWL year, they had not had any time alone since before the battle at the Ministry.

Halloween morning, Harry awoke earlier than everyone else. He stretched, smiling, for the first night since the battles he had slept nightmare free. Getting out of bed he quietly grabbed his things and went to the showers, returning a short time later both clean and dressed. Harry eyed a snoring Ron with a mischievious grin, before flicking him with the end of his wet towel.

"Wake up, Ron! Hogsmede weekend! The girls are waiting," he said loudly.

"Harry! The sun isn't even up yet," Ron groaned. Harry laughed.

"Actually, it is. You'd know that if you'd open your eyes. Now get up before I sic Hermione on you," Harry said. Ron smiled, his eyes still closed.

"Hmmmm... Hermione in my bed... and this is supposed to motivate me to get up how?" Ron asked.

"Thanks for that mental image, Ron," Harry said, making a face. Ron, however, didn't see it as he had now covered up his head.

"Allright, Weasley. Remember you forced me into this," Harry said.

In a swift motion, he yanked all of the covers off of Ron, exposing him to the cool morning air. Ron sat up growling and sprang for a now laughing Harry. The two were soon rolling on the floor in mock combat. It wasn't long, before the whole room had awoken and joined in, making a great deal of noise. Harry had just managed to wriggle away from Seamus and put Ron in a headlock, when a bossy voice spoke from the door. The boys immediately froze.

"As much as I would hate to interrupt what, I am sure, is some sort of complicated male bonding ritual, Ginny and I are getting hungry. Were you two planning on coming down this century?" Hermione said. The expression on her face was somwhere between complete exasperation and laughter at the boys antics. Harry smiled and shot Ron an I told you so look.

"Ron was having a hard time waking up this morning, Hermione. I was just helping him," Harry said innocently. Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"Hrmmm...remind me to warn Ginny that you seem to think the proper way to wake a person up is to put them in a headlock," she said mischieviously, before leaving the room.

Harry and Ron followed her down a short time later, arguing over exactly who had won their tussle. Ginny and Hermione were sitting in chairs by the fire, waiting. Both of them looked uncommonly pretty this morning, although Harry had eyes only for Ginny.

"Morning," he said, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. "Sorry we kept you waiting. Someone had a hard time waking up this morning." He gave Ron a very pointed look.

"I did not have a hard time waking up. I was just holding out for someone better looking than a scrawny midget with glasses to do the waking," Ron sniffed. Harry chuckled.

"Fine. Next time I'll ask Hagrid to do it," he said impishly. Taking Ginny's hand, he then led the way down to breakfast.

When they entered the Great Hall, it was filled with the chatter of happy, noisy students, for which Harry was very glad. The first few days after the attacks, things had been very subdued. Additionally, Harry had once again had to deal with the fallout from stories in The Daily Prophet, which was hailing him as some great hero, much to his annoyance. They had even gone so far as to put an artist's rendition of Harry fighting at the Ministry, as they had been unable to get pictures. That had finally died down, however. Harry was very relieved to see that things were getting back to normal now.

The four took their usual seats at the Gryffindor table, and Ron and Hermoine were soon in one of their famous 'discussions' on where they should go first when they reached Hogsmede. Ginny and Harry exchanged an amused glance. The flutter of wings overhead, announcing the arrival of the mail, brought a stop to the argument. Harry was suprised to see, not only Hermes with Ron and Ginny's daily update on their Mum, but his own Hedwig land on the table. Frowning, he took the letter from her, feeding her his scraps of toast. Harry quickly opened it and began to read, his face becoming thunderous.

"What is it, mate?" Ron aksed tentatively. Harry sighed, clearly trying to collect himself.

"I'm to have a guard accompanying me in Hogsmede for my own protection. It's bloody ridiculous! I've taken care of myself my whole life. I just took on dementors and death eaters in not one, but two battles, and now, suddenly, I need to be watched over again. Why can't I just be normal for once?" he raged.

"Harry, maybe it won't be so bad. It'll probably be Tonks and Remus, anyway. It's not like we'll have Moody following us around hexing everything that moves," Hermione soothed.

"That's not the point, Hermione. I have no privacy... none. I wanted... "he broke off casting a look at Ginny and blushing slightly. Ginny returned his glance, and the blush. She too had been hoping for some time alone.

"It's ok, Harry," she said, taking his hand. Harry sighed.

"No, it's not, but I suppose we have no choice," he replied.

They finished their meal in silence, Harry's mood putting a damper on all of their spirits. When they were done, they made their way to the front gates where the escort was to meet them. Once there, they were greeted, much to their suprise, not by Remus and Tonks, but by Fred and George.

"Fred and George Weasley, bodyguards extraordinaire, reporting for duty," Fred said, saluting Harry smartly. Harry grinned, his mood lightening. Having Fred and George following them would be better than being watched over by adults, like they were children. Ginny, however, looked less then pleased.

"Wonderful! I get stuck with the trouble twins following me around on my date," she huffed. George and Fred grinned.

"Not to worry Gin-Gin. You won't even notice we're here," George promised.

"Unless loverboy gets too frisky," Fred added, only half teasingly.

"So, how'd you two end up with guard duty? Shouldn't you be watching the shop?" Ron asked.

"We volunteered and Lee is watching the shop," George answered.

"We felt it a bit stupid, honestly, as Harry had already kicked dementor and death eater arse, but we figured if they were going to insist on it, better us then Moody," Fred shrugged.

"Besides," George added," we're considering expanding to Hogsmede and wanted to scout out the possibilities."

"And then there is that package you needed delivered before the feast tonight," Fred said winking. George nodded his agreement.

"And now we have been invited to attend, so we won't miss the festivities like last time," he said.

"So you got them, then?" Ginny asked anxiously.

"Would we let our favorite little sister down?" Fred asked. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"I suppose it would be wrong to point out that I am your only little sister?" Ginny muttered. George cast a significant glance at Ron, while fingering his wand.

"We could change that," he said innocently. Ron paled, and Hermione whirled on them, hands on her hips.

"Don't you dare!" she said. The twins laughed, throwing their hands up in mock surrender.

The rest of the trip to Hogsmede passed in jovial conversation and good humour. The twins, who were greeted as heros by the rest of the students for their spectacular exit the previous year, seemed to enjoy the attention they were receiving. They spent more time handing out business cards and free samples than actually guarding Harry, which was just fine with him. The management at Zonko's, however, did not seem to appreciate the competition, and glared the group out the door. The day went very quickly for Harry, and, before he knew it, it was time to return to the castle. Fred and George left them at the gates to go report to Dumbledore, while Ginny, Hermione, and Ron returned to Gryffindor Tower. Harry begged off under the excuse that he had lessons with Remus.

He watched until his friends were out of sight, and then grinned a very Marauder like grin. He was determined to get some time alone with Ginny. He knew just how he was going to get it, and just who to go to for help. Whistling quietly, he made straight for the whomping willow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About a half an hour before the feast, Harry entered the Gryffindor common room, very tired but with a satisfied smile plastered on his face.

"Good lesson I take it?" Ginny asked from her spot in one of the chairs before the fire. Harry nodded.

"The best," he said bending down and kissing her. "Where's Ron and Hermione?"

"The library," Ginny giggled. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Do they honestly think we believe that?" he asked. Ginny shrugged, her eyes twinkling mischieviously.

"You should have seen them when I volunteered to go with them," she said. Harry laughed, and scooped Ginny up, repositioning her onto his lap while they waited for Ron and Hermione to return. When they entered the common room a short time later holding hands, Harry and Ginny exchanged a knowing look.

"How was the library?" Harry asked innocently. Ron immediately went bright red, while Hermione looked away guiltily.

"Oh it was, ya know, very ummm... informative," Ron said lamely.

"Probably all of those books they keep there," Ginny dead-panned. Harry had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing.

"We'd better head down to the Great Hall so no one takes our spot," Hermione said, seeking to change the subject. They others agreed, and they hurried to the quickly filling hall. Some first years were sitting in their usual spot, but a glare from Harry, along with a not so subtle "Move Midgets!" from Ron, and the seats were empty once more. Normally, they wouldn't have resorted to that, but it was imperative they have their spot for tonight's festivities.

The Great Hall was decked out in it's usual splendour for Halloween. Large glowing jack-o-lanterns floated above the house tables, and clouds of live bats flitted about the enchanted ceiling. Everyone chatted merrily about the day's Hogsmede visit, anticipating the start of the feast. Looking up at the staff table, Harry saw Fred and George talking animatedly with Professor Flitwick, who was examining one of the twins' newest products. He saw Fred, or possibly George, give him a wink. Harry nodded in return and, gently reaching his foot out, felt the object under the table which the twins had smuggled in for them. Across from him, he saw Ron do the same. They all exchanged slight nods, with barely contained enthusiasm, awaiting the prearranged signal. With a wave of Dumbledore's hand. the feast appeared on the table. Harry tensed, waiting until everyone was clearly absorbed with their meals, then coughed. At that signal, they all went into action.

Harry carefully pulled his invisibility cloak, which he had given to Fred and George earlier, off of the small crates which were under the table. Ron and Ginny, who had been holding their wands under the table, surreptiously flicked them at the crates opening them, sending the small piglets which had been inside scurrying out. Hermione meanwhile, under the guise of dropping her napkin, shrunk the crates and slipped them into a pocket of her robes. The four then sat back to wait. It didn't take long.

A low confused murmur began to arise from the Gryffindor table as the piglets sought their way out from under the maze of legs. One of the animals, apparently growing desperate, tried to force it's way out between Lavender Brown's feet. She stood up screeching, throwing the pudding she'd been holding, which, much to Hermione's delight, landed squarely on Pansy Parkinson's head. Not one to take that lightly, Pansy then hurled some mashed potatoes at the Gryffindor table, splattering Seamus in the face. Food was soon flying back and forth through the hall. Amidst the chaos, Mr. Filch had spotted the piglets, which were scurrying around the room squealing, and was trying, very unsuccessfully, to catch them.

Fred and George, nearly in tears with laughter, decided to bring the fight to the staff table, flinging a custard pie towards Remus and Tonks. Most unfortunately, they missed, hitting Professor McGonnagall with it. The twins' eyes widened in dismay. The professor, however, merely wiped the custard off, and sent them a steely glare before sending rolls magically pelting after them. Professor Snape, meanwhile, had left the staff table and was headed for Harry and the others with a determined glare.

"Uh-oh, we've been found out," Ginny exclaimed.

"Run!" Harry commanded.

They split up. Ron and Hermione headed one way, Harry and Ginny the other. Naturally, Snape chose to follow Harry. Harry and Ginny, hurriedly made for the doors, pausing only long enough to scoop up one of the pigs for phase two of their plan. Snape was in hot pursuit. He was almost upon them, and Harry thought for sure they was caught, when the professor was caught in the back of the head with a flying pudding thrown from the direction of the staff table. Snape whirled long enough to discern the source of the missle, allowing Harry to cover himself, Ginny, and the pig with the invisibility cloak, before slipping from the hall.

They raced through the corridors to the one-eyed witch passageway, slipping inside. Harry removed the cloak and slipped the pig into the small pen which they had set up earlier, before he and Ginny sunk to the floor, doubled up with helpless laughter.

"Did you see the look on Filch's face?" Ginny giggled.

"What about your brothers when they hit McGonnagall?" Harry laughed. The sound of the passageway opening up had Harry hastily recovering them, but when he saw it was only Ron and Hermione, he removed it once more.

"Another brilliantly executed plan Mr. Potter," Ron said grinning.

"Why thank you Mr. Weasley," Harry grinned back in return. "I believe we have done our forefathers proud with tonight's work."

"Most definately," Ron agreed.

"Oh yes, because it's not like Ginny and I came up with the plan or anything," Hermione said acidly.

"You're right. We could not have done it with out the awe inspiring brilliance of our resident geniuses," Harry said. "My dad would've been proud to call you Marauders, ladies." Hermione smiled, while Ginny sank into a mocking curtsey.

"We live to serve," she said sarcastically.

"So when do you think we should move into phase two?" Ron asked.

"I'd give them a few days to cool down, and for Filch to search," Harry said thoughtfully. Hermione nodded.

"Yes, I believe two days should be sufficient, and then we'll release Pansy near the charms classroom," she said.

"Pansy?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow. Hermione grinned.

"Well she does kind of look like Parkinson, only cuter," Hermione said innocently, contemplating the pig. Harry shook his head chuckling.

"We should probably lay low for tonight. Snape is on the warpath, and I, personally would rather deal with McGonnagall tomorrow then Snape tonight." Harry said. The others nodded their agreement.

"Why don't we split up again. You two can go to the library, and I have the perfect place for Ginny and I to hide," he added. Ron shot Harry an overprotective big brother look, but a glare from the Hermione had him agreeing. Harry made a mental note to thank Hermione for that one. He pulled the Marauder's Map out of his pocket and handed it to Ron.

"You guys can take that. Ginny and I will use the cloak," he said. After checking the map to make sure it was safe, the four slipped out of the passage and headed off in opposite directions.

"Where are we going?" Ginny whispered. Harry smiled at her.

"It's a suprise. Now shush before someone hears us," he said.

He stealthily lead Ginny out onto the grounds, and they made their way to Hagrid's cabin. Hagrid was, apparently, still up at the castle as the windows were dark. Removing the cloak and tucking it safely away in a pocket of his robes, Harry continued around the hut to the shed, Ginny following close behind.

"Alohomora!" he murmured. The shed's lock clicked and he opened the door. He smiled as he saw the motorcycle gleam faintly when the moonlight hit it. Ginny gasped.

"Oh Harry! Are we going for a ride?" she whispered with barely contained excitement.

"Now what do you think I spent all that time this afternoon learning to fly this thing for if I wasn't going to take you for a ride, love?" he teased. She hugged him enthusiastically.

"C'mon, help me wheel it out," he said softly. They wheeled it out to a fairly open area behind the cabin. Harry then showed her how to sit on it and where to put her feet, before sitting down in front of her.

"Hang on," he told her, and then started the powerful engine. As it roared to life, Harry felt a thrill at the surge of sheer power from the bike. Revving the engine, they took off across the grounds and were soon soaring through the moonlit skies. Harry wheeled out over the Forbidden Forest, just skimming the tops of the trees. Ginny tightened her grip around his waist, and leaned her head against his back. As first dates went, Harry reflected, he couldn't imagine one more perfect.

Down on the ground, near the Whomping Willow, Remus and Tonks kept a watchful eye on the headlight of the motorcycle. Remus smiled reminiscently.

"At least he's not quite the madman that Sirius was on that thing," he murmured. Tonks laughed.

"I remember the first time Sirius took me for a ride on it. I must've been four or five at the time. I thought Mum was going to have kittens," she grinned. Remus laughed.

"Knowing Andromeda, I'm surpised she let Sirius off with all of his parts intact," he said.

"Oh, you know how he was then. He could charm the pants off of anyone, even my Mum. You all could come to that," Tonks said. Remus looked away, sighing.

"I wish..." Remus said, pausing then and shaking his head.

"What love?" Tonks asked.

"I wish that Harry could've known them like I did. He's so very like James sometimes, and others, he's all Lily. He has quite alot of Sirius in him too, come to think of it," he said, looking once more at the motorcycle, which was now circling the North Tower.

"I see quite a bit of you in him too, you know," Tonks said softly. Remus smiled down at her gently.

"Thank you," he said softly, before chuckling. "I'm sure James and Sirius are bursting with pride at tonight's prank, wherever they are. I think it might've even topped some of ours."

"You miss them still, don't you?" Tonks asked. Remus nodded.

"Yes, and I probably always will," he agreed. She put an arm around his waist and leaned her head against his shoulder. Glancing up at him, she began to laugh softly.

"What?" he asked, frowning.

"You have custard behind your ear," she grinned. Despite himself, Remus joined in her laughter.

"Who'd have thought Severus' aim was that good," he said. "Although, I suppose I did start it." Tonks laughed outright then.

"I believe that there is still quite a bit of Marauder in you, Professor," she said. Remus grinned, before bowing rakishly.

"Milady, I assure you that I am all Marauder," he said. Tonks smiled.

"Hrmmmm... and are those rumours I have heard about the reputation you Marauders have with sweet, delicate flowers such as myself true?"

"Alas, yes," Remus said dramatically. "We're rogues, the lot of us. That it, until we find our one true love, then it's undying loyalty and fidelity, I'm afraid."

"I see," she said, her eyes twinkling. "And have you found your one, true love Mr. Moony?"

"Yes, milady. I absolutely have," he said before taking her in his arms and kissing her gently under the stars, while the motorcycle roared overhead.

A/N: Awwww... I know... fluffy fluff, but I couldn't resist. Remus should get to be happy dangit. Thank yous go out, as always to Danielle for being my moderator, my son Will (whose eww gross reaction to the love scene told me I had gotten it just right) for being my beta, and all of you fantastically wonderful people for reading and reviewing. Next time, first quidditch match and a glimpse at the pig prank stage two.
Quidditch Anyone? by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

Harry nervously paced the floor of the Gryffindor locker room, rubbing his scar. Today marked his first match as quidditch captain, and he was, quite honestly, a wreck. He’d spent hours going through strategy with Ron the night before, not going to bed until well after midnight. He hadn’t fallen asleep until a long while later, and even then, it was deeply troubled. He’d had nightmares which had blended the upcoming match with scenes from the battle in Diagon Alley, resulting in horrifying visions of himself incinerating Slytherin’s seeker for getting too close to the snitch. He’d finally risen just before dawn, coming down to the quidditch pitch.

“Harry! There you are. We’ve been looking all over for you. You alright?” Ron said from the doorway. Harry looked up, startled.

“Obviously he’s not, Ronald. Harry, you look horrible, and you missed breakfast,” Hermione, who was standing just behind Ron, said as she handed him several pieces of toast wrapped in a napkin.

“Thanks,” Harry said as he began to eat. Hermione shook her head.

“Do you remember your first quidditch match?” Hermione asked him. Harry and Ron both grinned happily at the memory.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “We flattened Slytherin. Wood was even more excited then I was, I think.”

“And Malfoy was so angry. One of my favorite moments,” Ron chortled gleefully.

“Exactly. You were just as nervous then as you are now,” Hermione said. Harry snorted.

“Thanks for that, Hermione. I really needed to be told that I’m a wreck,” he said. She rolled her eyes, and muttered something about thick-headed males, before continuing.

“My point is, Harry, that you have nothing to worry about. You’ll do fine, just like you did then,” she stated simply.

“Hermione is right, mate. We’re going to kick some snakey arse today. Our team is the best its been since third year,” Ron said, putting a supportive arm around his friend. Harry smiled then, a true, genuine smile.

“Thank you, guys,” he told them, meaning it this time. He felt the tension begin to ease somewhat, and he and Ron started to go over strategy once more. The rest of the team started to filter in then, so Hermione hugged Harry and kissed Ron, before departing to find a spot in the stands. Harry waited for everyone to get changed and settled, then took a deep breath to give the traditional pre-game speech.

“All right team, we’ve got a tough match ahead of us. Slytherin has us in both size and experience,” he said.

“They play very dirty, too,” Ron added unnecessarily. Harry nodded.

“Yes, they do. We play smarter, however. We’re also alot faster and much better fliers. Our strategy is to use that against them today. Kirke and Sloper, your job for this match is solely to keep the bludgers off of Ginny, Natalie, and Colin. Don’t worry about stopping Slytherin from scoring. Their chasers haven’t got anything that Ron can’t handle. They won’t get by him. Chasers, the most important thing for you to remember today is to keep the quaffle moving. Don’t give them the opportunity to zero in on it or you. Not one of their players will hesitate to smash you if you hold still long enough for them to do it. This team is beatable, as long as we use our heads, we’ll win. I know you guys can do it,” he said, eyeing the solemn faces before him. “Let’s go out there and show Slytherin who is going to win the House Cup again this year!”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief as the team rose and headed through the tunnel towards the pitch. As speeches go, he felt he could have done much worse. It was maybe not as inspiring as he would’ve liked, but at least he had been coherent. Taking a deep breath, he squared his shoulders and switched his thoughts from the speech to the match.

“Everyone ready?” he asked. At the team’s determined nods, Harry led the way into the stadium. The roar of the crowd rose up as soon as they stepped into the sunlight.

“And here comes Gryffindor! Potter, Weasley, Weasley, Creevey, McDonald, Kirke, and Sloper,” said the voice of Seamus Finnegan, who had taken the job of announcing the matches, as Lee Jordan had graduated. “The team is led this year by Captain Harry Potter, who is returning from a completely unwarranted ban last season. Potter is a superb seeker, and was the youngest player to make a house team in nearly a century. Ron Weasley, Kirke, and Sloper are returning from last year as keeper and beaters, respectively. McDonald and Creevey are new additions to the team this year at chaser, while Ginny Weasley is moving over from the seeker spot, which she filled last year during Potter’s ban.”

The roar of the crowd turned to jeers from three-fourths of the stadium, as Slytherin made their entrance.

“And now, Slytherin. Montague, Warrington, Crabbe, Goyle, Bletchley, Pucey, and Parkinson. All of the Slytherin team from last year has returned, with the exception of their seeker Draco Malfoy, who is currently spending time in Ministry custody. Malfoy has been replaced with Marcus Parkinson, a rather unusual choice for seeker, who as they are traditionally small,” Seamus’ voice said over the loud speakers.

The two teams met in the middle of the pitch. Montague, the massive ape-like captain of the Slytherin team, glared at Harry, trying to intimidate him. Harry, having learned how to deal with brutes like him at a very young age, merely smirked at him.

“Captains, shake hands,” ordered Madame Hooch. Montague’s hand engulfed Harry’s, squeezing his fingers in a vice-like grip. Harry never allowed his gaze to falter, raising his eyebrow mockingly, in a very Sirius-like fashion, as the handshake’s pressure increased.

“Mount your brooms,” Madame Hooch said, placing her whistle in her mouth and blowing. The teams did as told, the balls were released, and all fourteen players shot into the air. Ron and Bletchley streaked off towards the goals, while Harry rose up, over the action and began to circle the pitch, scanning for the snitch.

“And Ginny Weasley has the quaffle, and she’s passed it to Creevey who ducks under Goyle and passes it to McDonald. McDonald streaks up the pitch, dodgeing a bludger from Goyle. That was a close one! McDonald passes it to Weasley. Weasley shoots, Slytherin’s keeper dives for it and... Gryffindor scores!!! Ten- Nil Gryffindor!” Seamus shouted.

“Slytherin now in possession. Pucey heads up the pitch and tosses it off to Warrington. Oh! Warrington hit by a bludger from Kirke, but he manages to hang on to the quaffle. Warrington passes it to Montague. Montague goes in for the score, and it’s blocked! Nice save by Weasley!” Seamus said over the score of the crowd, which had struck up the familiar chorus of Weasley is Our King upon Ron’s save.

Harry slowly circled the pitch, his eyes intent upon his search. Below him he saw Ginny racing up the field to score. Marcus Parkinson had apparently seen it too, as he abandoned his own search for the snitch to try and block her. Ginny merely feinted under him, before zooming up and over at the last second, scoring easily. It was then that Harry caught a faint glimmer of gold near the Gryffindor stands.

He sent his firebolt into a steep dive, racing for the snitch before Parkinson realized what his inattention had cost him. Ducking a bludger sent his way by Crabbe, Harry reached out to close his hand around the snitch right in front of a wildly cheering Remus, Tonks, Hagrid, and Hermione.

“And Potter catches the snitch! Gryffindor wins 170 - 0!!!” Seamus cheered.

“Way to go, Harry!!!” he heard Remus shout, as Tonks jumped up and down enthusiastically next to him.

“I told you that you’d win!” Hermione was screaming as she hugged Hagrid.

Harry was tackled in mid-air by his overjoyed team. They landed in a big huddle and were soon mobbed, as the stands emptied.

“Party in the Gryffindor common room!” Ron announced, as they were carried out of the stadium.

Several hours later, the party was still in full swing. Harry sat with his eyes closed in one of the armchairs near the fire. Ginny was snuggled comfortably in his lap. She was gently running her fingers through his hair, making him feel more relaxed than he had in a very long time.

“Harry?” she whispered, her voice slightly husky.

“Hmmmm?” he said, cracking open one eye.

“Do you think that they’d notice if we left?” she whispered, her breath gently tickling his ear.

“Left?” he murmured drowsily. “Where do you want to go?”

Ginny smiled mischieviously, and began to nibble on his ear. Harry came instantly awake. His eyes darted over to the corner where he had last seen Ron and Hermione. He was quite happy to notice that Hermione had Ron very thoroughly distracted.

“Ummm...yeah... I think we’re good,” he said. Ginny giggled, standing up, and pulled Harry along with her. They were most of the way to the protrait hole, when a familiar owl zoomed in through one of the Tower’s windows, coming to hover in front of Ginny.

“Hermes?” Ginny said, reaching out to remove the note attached to the owl’s leg. She opened it, quickly scanning it. She gasped, and Harry saw the color drain from her face.

“Ginny? What is it? It’s not your Mum is it?” he asked. Wordlessly, she handed him the note, her hands shaking. He read the message then wrapped her in a hug, gently rubbing her back.

“It’ll be ok, love,” he said softly. Ron and Hermione, having noticed, despite their distraction with each other, that something was amiss, came over with worried looks on their faces.

“Ginny, what’s wrong?” Ron asked. She mutely shook her head. Ron turned to Harry, a questioning look on his face. Harry could tell he was trying not to jump to conclusions.

“She just got a note from Percy. They’ve set Malfoy’s trial for next week. Ginny and I have to be there,” he said grimly. He felt Ginny begin to tremble in his arms, and he held her tighter.

“I’m sorry. I-I th-thought I was past this. The nightmares... they had stopped finally, but now I have to g-g-go tell people about it,” she murmured through chattering teeth. Her shivers were becoming more noticeable now, and the lightning bolt scar, that Malfoy had carved on her forehead, was angry and red.

“Come on, sis. Let’s get you to Madame Pomfrey,” Ron said gently to her. Hermione nodded her agreement.

“I’m sure she can get you a calming draught or something,” Hermione said. Ginny shook her head.

“N-n-n-n-o, I don’t want to be there,” she said, trying to speak through her chills.

“Then at least let’s get you up to bed,” Hermione said, her face full of concern and compassion for what her friend was going through. Ginny, however, shook her head once more, and looked up at Harry with pleading eyes.

“ Stay with me, please. I don’t want to be alone, and I couldn’t sleep,” she said, her voice barely more than a whisper.

Harry couldn’t have denied her, even if he’d wanted to. He looked around the room, noticing all the stares and whispers they had attracted. His green eyes hardened and all of his protective instincts kicked in. Looking over Ginny’s head at Ron, he saw that he was not the only one who had noticed, and disliked, all the attention that they were attracting.

“Of course I’ll stay with you, love,” Harry said gently. “but not here. Ron, could you get my cloak and the map? I’m going to take her to Moony’s. We’ll be safe there and it’s private.”

“We’re coming with you,” Ron said immediately.

“No, you’re not. I know she is your sister and you’re worried, but someone has to cover for us, mate,” Harry said.

“But...” Ron began to protest angrily, Hermione’s hand on his arm forestalled him, however.

“He’s right, Ron. Go get the cloak, quickly. I think Parvati and Lavender are working their nerve up to come over and be nosey,” she said. Ron nodded, bounding up the stairs, returning a minute later with the invisibility cloak and Marauder's map in hand.

“You had better take care of her, Harry. If anything happens to her...” Ron said,handing him his things. Harry knew he meant more than just tonight.

“I promise, Ron,” he said, gently leading her out of the portrait hole, before covering them both with the cloak. They made their way switftly and silently to the whomping willow. Harry poked the knot, which stilled the tree’s branches, with a long stick.

He led Ginny into the hidden passage, igniting his wand and holding it aloft to light their way. Thoughts of Sirius flooded his mind as they traversed the tunnel. He ruthlessly tamped them down, however. The pale and trembling girl beside him was his concern tonight.

They reached the entrance to the Shrieking Shack, and he carefully moved the wooden panel aside. Picking Ginny up, he gently carried her into the room. He reflected, as he had the last time he had been there, when Remus had taught him how to fly the motorcycle, how many changes had been made. The broken furniture, tattered hangings, cobwebs and dust were gone, replaced with warm, cheerful curtains, plump, oversized couches and chairs, and vases of fragrant wildflowers.

“Moony?” Harry called tentatively into the dark and silent house. He heard a thump overhead, followed by the sound of walking feet, before seeing a shirtless, barefoot, and thoroughly rumpled looking Remus descend the stairs, followed by a very sleepy looking Tonks.

“Harry? What are you doing here? And Ginny... Harry, what is going on?” his guardian asked.

“I’m sorry to bother you, but I had to get Ginny out of there to someplace safe, and I didn’t know where else to go, and I thought, well, maybe... could we stay here tonight Moony?” Harry said, knowing he was rambling and not making much sense.

“Slow down, Harry. Why did you have to get her out of there? What has happened?” Remus said calmly, considering he’d been woken up in the middle of the night by his ward and had no idea why. Harry quickly explained about the letter from Percy and Ginny’s resultant panic.

“I had to get her out of there, Moony,” he repeated. “It’s where the attack happened, and she couldn’t feel safe there. Then everyone started staring at her, and I had to protect her. I love her, Remus,” he said softly, his green eyes pleading, as Ginny’s had been earlier.

Remus and Tonks exchanged a look, and Tonks nodded.

“Lay her down on the couch, Harry,” Tonks said. Once she was settled, Tonks kneeled down in front of the silent girl. “You just sit here, Ginny. Nothing is going to happen tonight. I’ll make us all some chocolate. Remus, you’d better let Dumbledore know where they are. Knowing him, it’s probably not necessary, but just in case.”

Remus nodded his agreement, and he and Tonks left the room. Harry sat down next to Ginny, wrapping his arms around her once more. She hadn’t spoken since they’d left the common room, and Harry was becoming very worried. Remus and Tonks returned a short time later. Tonks pressed a steaming mug of chocolate into Ginny’s hand, while Remus covered both of the teens up with a thick, though faded and worn, quilt.

“Drink up, Ginny. Remus insists that chocolate is a cure for pretty much everything. We always have some handy,” Tonks said, in her usual cheerful manner, although her eyes showed her concern. Ginny mechanically obeyed. Remus and Tonks sat down in the nearby chairs, talking to Harry about the quidditch match earlier in the day. Harry felt Ginny’s tremors cease, and she even interjected a few comments, before her eyelids began to droop and she drifted off to sleep. Tonks sighed.

“That poor kid. Percy should be smacked, telling her in a letter like that,” she growled.

“I’m not sure there would be a good way for her to hear that she has to relive that attack, love,” Remus said in his hoarse voice.

“Still,” she said, shaking her head. “I’m just glad we had that calming draught and dreamless sleep potion on hand. You should’ve taken her to Madame Pomfrey, Harry.” Harry hung his head.

“I know. I’m sorry to drag you guys into this, but she didn’t want to go to Madame Pomfrey, and I just couldn’t tell her no, Tonks, not then. Thank you both, for, you know, being here for me... for us,” he said quietly. He felt Remus put a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“Harry, when will you learn? We will always be here for you, as long as you need us. We love you,” he said simply. Harry smiled shyly.

“I love you guys, too,” Harry replied so softly that it was almost inaudible. Remus beamed at him, a smile of pure joy at how far Harry had come. A year ago, even a few months ago, Remus would never have expected those words from the young man. He sometimes felt that dealing with Harry’s emotions was like dealing with a wounded animal. Harry did not trust easily nor lightly, and he would rather push people away then acknowledge that he needed them. Tonks stood up, grinning and ruffling Harry’s hair before bending and placing a kiss on his forehead.

“ Glad we could help. Now, you need to get some sleep too. We’ll be upstairs if you need anything,” she said.

“She’s right. You get some rest, and try not to worry. I’m sure Ginny will feel better in the morning,” Remus said, standing and following Tonks up the stairs.

Harry lay his head against the back of the couch, silently watching Ginny sleep and feeling like he knew, for the first time that he could really remember, what it was like to have parents. With that thought in his head, he fell asleep, a contented smile upon his face despite his concern for Ginny.

A/N: Poor Ginny, she’s had an awful year, and I just felt like she was dealing with it entirely too well. It was about time she broke down a little. Anyway...

Thanks go out as always to Danielle for moderating, my son for beta-ing, and all of you guys for reading and reviewing. As soon as all of these evil log-in problems are resolved,
I will do my best to respond.

Next chapter... Malfoy’s trial.
Justice for All by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



"Harry? Harry, wake up," the hoarse voice of Remus Lupin penetrated the layers of Harry's sleep shrouded mind and he opened his eyes.

"Remus? What are you doing here?" he said blearily, then he felt the warmth of Ginny Weasley snuggled in his arms and reality came crashing back. "What time is it?"

"Well, I live here and its around seven," Remus said smiling slightly. "I'm sorry for waking you, Harry, but I have just gotten a message from the headmaster. He'd like us back up at the castle and in his office as soon as possible." Harry grimaced.

"We're in trouble aren't we?" he quietly asked, so as not to disturb the still sleeping Ginny.

"No, Harry. I don't think so. I believe he has something he wishes to speak with you about and would just rather do it before the whole castle wakes up. Now, I'm going to go wake Nymphadora. I'll leave Ginny to you," Remus said, conjuring a cup of what looked like strong black coffee.

"Tonks is not a morning person," he added, grinning, before heading up the stairs.

Harry looked down at the girl curled up in his arms, remembering how defenseless she had been the night before. His eyes hardened as they touched upon the jagged scar on her forehead. She should never have had to deal with all of this. He should never have allowed their relationship to develop. He should have pushed her away while he still could. It was too late now. She would not allow him to sever their bond, even if he'd been able to bring himself to do it. He sighed, mentally cursing his own weakness. He leaned down and gently kissed the top of her head.

"Ginny? C'mon, time to wake up," he said softly. Ginny's eyelids fluttered. She moaned a protest and burrowed herself deeper into his warmth. Harry stifled the urge to pull her still closer and very gently shook her. "Gin?"

"Mmmmmm... I'm not ready to get up yet, Mum," she murmured sleepily. Harry chuckled softly.

"I'm not your Mum. In fact, you should probably be glad I'm not. I doubt she'd be very happy with either of us right now," he said. He was fairly certain the Molly Weasley would be less then pleased to discover that her only had daughter had run away from school and spent the night with a boy, however innocent it might have been. Ginny's eyes flew open at Harry's words and she sat bolt upright, realizing she had been asleep in Harry's arms.

"Ummmm... Harry? Where are we? What exactly happened last night?" she said, eyeing him warily. Harry frowned.

"You don't remember?" he asked. Now it was Ginny's turn to frown.

"I remember we were in the common room and had decided to go... someplace more private," she said. Harry nodded.

"Do you remember getting the owl from Percy?" he asked. Ginny gasped as her memories of the previous night hit her. Harry pulled her gently back into his arms. "Are you all right?"

"I... yes. I think so. I'm sorry I broke down like that. I just... it was so unexpected," Ginny said, blushing.

"It's ok. You don't have to be strong all the time," Harry told her. Ginny smiled, with a trace of her normal fire.

"Of course I do. I'm Molly Weasley's daughter. We Weasley women are practically indestructable, Potter," she said.

"Glad to see you're feeling better this morning, Ginny," an extremely sleepy looking Tonks said, as she came down the stairs with Remus.

"Thanks for last night," Ginny said, looking somewhat embarassed. Tonks waved her off, and took another sip of her still steaming coffee.

"Don't even worry about it. We were glad we could help. Although, I hope you won't care if I give that brother of yours a piece of my mind. Now, we'd better get you two back up to the school, before they send out the search parties," Tonks grinned.

On the way back, conversation was kept light, mainly centered on the startlingly quick end to the quidditch match the day before. Harry did, however, let Ginny know that the headmaster wanted to see them and reassured her, as Remus had him, that they were not in trouble.

"Chocolate frogs," Remus said when they reached the entrance the headmaster's office. The gargoyle obligingly slid away, and they ascended the staircase. Dumbledore sat waiting for them behind his desk. Harry was startled, and a bit apprehensive, to see that the headmaster was not the only one in the room, however. Madam Pomfrey was there, as well as Percy Weasley. Percy sat rather stiffly in a chair near Dumbledore's desk, and his eyes flashed dangerously as they lit upon Harry.

"What do you mean by sneaking my sister out of the school in the middle of the night and taking her Merlin knows where? It's morning! You've been gone, with Ginny, all night. When I tell Mum...." Percy huffed. Harry took an involuntary step back. The overprotective Weasley brothers he could deal with, but Ginny's mum was an altogether different matter.

"I... umm... " he eloquently started to say, only to be interrupted by Tonks stepping protectively in front of him.

"Don't you dare yell at Harry, Percival Weasley! Ginny was a wreck last night, thanks to you! He was trying to protect her when he brought her to Remus and me, unlike you who sent her news like Malfoy's trial with a bloody owl and if you even think about telling your Mum, I will personally dredge up every last dirty little secret of yours and go to your Mum with them," she snarled, glaring at Percy like a mother wolf protecting her cub. Percy seemed to crumple in the face of Tonks' wrath, throwing his hands up in defeat. Remus beamed at her.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, Harry. I was just worried. I didn't mean for all of this to be such a shock, Ginny. I wanted to tell you personally, but The Prophet has gotten a hold of the story somehow, and I thought an owl would be better than the morning edition in the middle of the Great Hall," Percy said.

"Now that we have all relieved our tension," an amused sounding Dumbledore said, "Shall we procede?" The headmaster conjured four more chairs and waved Tonks, Remus, Harry, and Ginny into them.

"Right, yes," Percy said, visibly collecting his thoughts and assuming his usual pompous air. "The trial is set for Wednesday. Harry, Ginny, Tonks, and Madame Pomfrey, you will all need to be there. You will each be called in to testify seperately. Once you've given your testimony, you will be allowed to remain in the courtroom, although you'll have to be in an anteroom until your turn," Percy paused here, while everyone nodded their understanding.

"As I said earlier, The Prophet has gotten a hold of the story somehow, and they are running with it. Young scion of a pureblood family accused of a heinous crime against the beautiful girlfriend of the Boy-Who-Lived," Percy read from the copy of the paper he had produced from the case at his feet. "Fortunately, Harry's popularity is very high right now because of the battles in the Ministry and Diagon Alley, so they are playing it in our favor." Harry grimaced. He hated publicity. He had simply been doing what he felt was right. Ginny, sensing his discomfort, took his hand and smiled comfortingly at him.

"Harry, I'd like for you to play up that image in court, as much as possible. People will respond to it, and we're going to need all of the help that we can get," Percy said.

"What do you mean 'all of the help that we can get'? You think Malfoy is going to get off don't you?" Ginny demanded, sounding slightly paniced. Harry gently squeezed her hand. There was no way he would let Malfoy get away with what he had done. Percy sighed.

"I'm not going to lie to you, Ginny. The Malfoys still wield some power, and they have alot of money at their fingertips. They've hired Julius Parkinson, and he is absolutely ruthless. He is going to come after you, and Harry as well. It won't be pleasant. I meant what I said though, I will do everything in my power to see Malfoy rot in Azkaban," Percy told her.

"We didn't expect this to be pleasant, Percy. How could it be?" Harry said, putting an arm around Ginny, who was now looking almost as bad as she had the night before. "If that's all you wanted to tell us, I'm taking Ginny back to Gryffindor Tower."

"Patience, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said gently. "I know that this is difficult for both you and Miss Weasley, however, Mr. Weasley is trying to help. I believe, Percy, that you wished to go through everyone's statements?" Percy nodded. They spent the next hour going over exactly what had happened that day. At the end of it, silent tears were trailing down Ginny's cheeks, despite Harry's best efforts at comforting her. As he walked her back to Gryffindor Tower and turned her over to Hermione to be tucked into bed, he silently vowed that he would do whatever it took to see that Draco Malfoy got exactly what he deserved.

The days before the trial seemed to pass with agonizing slowness. Ginny, once over the initial shock, seemed to bounce back somewhat, although she avoided places like the Great Hall, where people would stare and whisper, discussing the stories that The Daily Prophet were running. Harry and the other Gryffindors also made sure that Ginny was never left alone, as the Slytherins seemed determined to make her life hell. This had all culminated when Dean Thomas had gotten two weeks of detention for cursing Marcus Parkinson so badly that he ended up in the hospital wing. Parkinson, Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy had cornered Ginny and Colin just outside the library and Harry hated to think what might have happened had Dean not happened along.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione did their best to keep Ginny's spirits up by executing Part B of the Great Pig Prank, as it had been dubbed. They took turns, everyday, releasing Pansy the Pig in crowded parts of the castle. As soon as Filch showed up, they'd grab the pig, wrap her in the invisibility cloak, and put her safely back in the pen in the secret passage. Filch was practically pulling his hair out in frustration at his inability to find the pig. Peeves, having picked up on this, had taken to following the caretaker around making random pig noises.

The morning of the trial found Harry in the Gryffindor boys' bathroom. He eyed himself critically in the mirror, smoothing out his best school robes, which he was wearing over an emerald green jumper Mrs. Weasley had knitted him. Ginny had told him the color brought out his eyes, which he supposed was true. He sighed and mussed his hair so that it looked the way his father's had in Snape's memory. He carefully checked to make sure his scar was still clearly visible. He muttered to himself. He could not believe he was actually following Percy's advice to "play up" his image. As much as he hated doing it though, he'd cheerfully wear a t-shirt with flashing neon letters proclaiming Boy-Who-Lived if there was any way it would help put Malfoy in Azkaban. This was for Ginny, for her, he would be put on display. He left the bathroom and entered the sixth year boys' dorm, where Ron was impatiently waiting.

"About time. I was starting to think that I'd have to come in after you. Wow!" said Ron, raising his eyebrows in surpise as he caught sight of Harry. "You know, for the first time since I've known you, you actually look the part."

"Thanks," Harry said sarcastically. "It was your bloody brother's idea. Now come on, let's get downstairs before I talk myself out of this."

Hermione and Ginny were waiting in the common room for them. Ginny was, once again, pale. Her brown eyes looked huge in her face. Harry could sense her nervousness from across the room. Nevertheless, she smiled when she saw Harry, and nodded approvingly.

"You look very nice, Harry," she said. Hermione nodded her agreement.

"She's right. The press is going to have kittens when they see you today," Hermione said. Harry grimaced.

"Are you trying to convince me to go back upstairs?" Harry said, nervously. Ginny frowned.

"Thank you, Harry. I know how much you hate all of the attention and, well, I know you're doing this for me," she said. Harry walked over to her and hugged her.

"Ginny, I would do this a hundred times over for you. Now quit worrying about me. How are you?" he said.

"I'll be fine," Ginny said straightening and determinedly squaring her shoulders.

Together, the four freinds left for the headmaster's office. After much arguing, resulting in Ron finally declaring he'd go steal a thestral if he had to, the adults had finally agreed, the night before, to let Ron and Hermione accompany them to the Ministry. They arrived at Dumbledore's office and, after giving the password, walked up the staircase. Remus, Tonks, and Madame Pomfrey were there waiting. Harry saw Remus' eyes widen when he entered.

"Merlin, Harry. Think you can warn me next time you decide to impersonate your father? I thought for a moment that James and Lily had come back to haunt me when I saw you and Ginny come in," Remus said. Despite his nervousness, Harry grinned.

"Sorry Moony. I didn't mean to give a person of your advanced years such a shock," he said innocently. Tonks chuckled.

"Shut it you," Remus said playfully poking her. Tonks just grinned. She once again had dark, shoulder length hair today. Her eyes were silvery grey, like Sirius' had been. Harry wondered if this was Tonks' true appearance, or if she just used it when she was trying to look professional. Personally, he preferred her usual, more relaxed, spiky bubblegum pink hair and violet eyes.

"Are we ready then?" the headmaster asked. At everyone's affirmative nods, he produced a large, purple hula-hoop.

Once they had all taken hold of it, he activated it and they were all swept off to the Ministry. As they landed, Harry nearly fell over. Ginny did, knocking into Ron and sending them both to the floor. Harry was helping them both up when he heard a familiar voice from across the room.

"There they are!"

Harry turned to see a horde of reporters advancing on them, with Rita Skeeter in the lead. Knowing that there was no escape, and trying to be mindful of the impression he was attempting to create, Harry straightened to his full height and put a protective arm around Ginny.

"Harry! Harry Potter!" Rita called. "Is this your girlfriend? Any truth to the rumors that you have secretly married?" Harry raised an eyebrow, doing his best to appear both relaxed and confident, despite the fact that he was feeling far from it.

"Hello Rita. Yes, Ginny is my girlfriend, and no, we are not married. I'll be happy to talk with you when all of this is over with, but right now we really need to get inside. Excuse us, please," he said elbowing his way through the crowd of reporters to a door across the room where Percy was frantically beckoning. Whether it was because, Harry had promised to talk to them later or, from sheer shock that he had answered their questions, they gave way and allowed the group through.

Percy ushered them through the door, and Harry found himself in a red carpeted room with several stiff backed, lightly upholstered chairs. Across from the door they had entered, stood another one guarded by two aurors. Tonks went directly to them and carried on a brief whispered conversation. One of the men, disappeared through the door through which Harry and the others had just come, presumably to deal with the press. Tonks came over shaking her head.

"Shoddy work. No excuse for that. If I have my way, someone is going to get in trouble over that one," Tonks huffed. "The press is allowed in the courtroom, but they're not supposed to be allowed down here." Percy nodded his agreement.

"That woman is a pest of the first order. You handled it very well though, Harry. Headmaster, I believe the rest of the wizengamot are already in there. Ron, Hermione, and Professor Lupin, if you go through that door, Mum, Dad, and the rest of the family have saved you seats," he said, indicating the door which was being guarded by the auror.

Ron and Hermione hugged both Harry and Ginny, wishing them luck, before heading into the courtroom to take their seats. Dumbledore gave them both an assessing look.

"Remember, the truth will prevail in the end. If you go in with it as your weapon, you cannot fail," Dumbledore said, before he too parted.

"Just tell them exactly what happened, as best you can, and try not to worry." Remus said. He put a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder and gave him a small smile, before pecking Tonks on the cheek and entering the courtroom.

"It's time," Percy said, checking his watch. "Ginny, you'll go in with me. The rest of you will be called when it's your turn."

Ginny wrapped Harry in a fierce hug, clinging to him as though her life depended upon it. She then took a deep steadying breath, squared her shoulders, and followed her brother determinedly from the room. Harry threw himself into one of the chairs, burrying his head in his hands. Tonks sat down next to him, talking quietly in an effort to calm him.

Ginny entered the courtroom just after Percy, her head held high. She looked around, taking in the grey stone walls, dimly lit by torches. Benches rose on either side of her, filled to capacity. Many of the people present, Ginny did not recognize, however some of them were familiar to her. Her entire family, including her Mum, who still looked wan from her injury, were there. She also saw several Order members. Mad-Eye Moody winked at her from his spot behind the twins.

In front of her, another set of high stone benches rose, filled with the members of the Wizengamot. Ginny recognized Professor Dumbeldore, of course. She saw Madame Bones and Kingsley Shacklebolt, as well as several other aquaintances of her father. Glancing to her left, Ginny finally saw him... Darco Malfoy. Suppressing a shiver, she took a moment to study him. Despite the fact that he was skinnier and even more pale than she remembered, he still held himself with his normal inbred arrogance. Standing next to him, was a rather tall man, whose marked resemblance to both Marcus and Pansy, left very little doubt that he must be Julius Parkinson, their father. Draco must have sensed Ginny's stare, because he looked over at her and smirked confidently.

"It would appear that everyone is here, so let us begin," Madame Bones said. "We are gathered for the criminal trial of Draco Phineas Malfoy. Prosecutor for the Ministry;Percival Ignatius Weasley, Defense for the Accused; Julius Archibald Parkinson, Presided over by Minister of Magic Amelia Susan Bones, court scribe; Penelope Tallulah Clearwater. Mr Malfoy, you are accused of the assault and torture of Ginevra Molly Weasley and violation of the laws prohibiting the use of the unforgiviables. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty, Minister," Malfoy said haughtily.

"Naturally," Madame Bones murmured. "Very well Weasley, you may begin."

"Thank you, Minister," Percy said in his most pompous voice. "The Ministry intends to prove that on the afternoon of September 2, Draco Malfoy did knowingly, and of his own free will, attack and torture one Ginevra Molly Weasley. In the course of said attack, he used the cruciatus curse. Moreover, we shall present evidence that the attack was orchestrated under the express orders of You-Know-Who, and that Mr. Malfoy is, indeed, a death eater." Ginny saw the members of the Wizengamot shift and murmur in their seats. Behind her, she could hear the scratch of quill upon parchment as the reporters frantically tried to catch every word being said.

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," Madame Bones said. "Parkinson?"

"Thank you, Minister. It is our intention to prove that, not only is Draco Malfoy not guilty of the horrible crimes of which he has been accused, but that the attack was, in fact staged by Miss Weasley and her boyfirend, Harry James Potter. Potter, along with Miss Weasley, her brothers, and another of their friends, Miss Hermione Granger, have terrorized young Mr. Malfoy for the last six years. Their bullying finally culminating in these shocking allegations," Mr. Parkinson said. Ginny gasped in outrage. It was all she could do to not stand up and smack the smirk off of Malfoy's face. Behind her, Mrs. Weasley was being gently, but frimly restrained by Mr. Weasley, while Hermione whispered furiously to Ron. Remus, visibly angry himself, had all he could do to keep the twins quiet. This left Moody, to deal with Bill and Charlie, who only settled down when they were given a very stern look from Professor Dumbledore in the Wizengamot box.

"Thank you, Mr. Parkinson," Madame Bones said, somewhat stiffly. "Mr. Weasley, you may call your first witness."

"Thank you, ma'am. The Ministry calls Ginevra Molly Weasley," Percy said. Ginny walked to the witness stand, doing her best to stay calm.

"Miss Weasley, can you please tell us in your own words, what happened the afternoon of Septemeber 2nd?" Percy said. Ginny nodded.

" I was headed to the Great Hall after Potions. I was late to meet my boyfriend, Harry Potter, for lunch. The corridors were empty because I had been held after to clean up a spilt potion. I wasn't really paying much attention to where I was going, when... when I felt someone grab me from behind," Ginny said in a choked voice. She felt the terror of the moment arise anew within her, and shivered, closing her eyes.

"Th-there were three of them. They all wore robes and masks. I tried to fight them off, but they were so strong and I had dropped my wand. One of them told me to stop struggling, a-a-and called me a blood traitor. Then, he said he had a message for Harry from You-know-who. He said that he knew that I would make sure that Harry got it. Suddenly, they let me go. I started to run, but they hit me with silencio and a cruciatus curse," she said, her voice breaking as tears started to run silently down her cheeks.

"It felt like I was on fire, and there was so much pressure and pain. I could feel my arms and ribs cracking, and I couldn't breath," Ginny said. She swiped at her tears with a shaking hand. There was total silence amongst those observing Ginny's testimony, aside form the occassional horrified gasp, and the quiet sobbing of Mrs. Weasley.

"Just when I thought that I couldn't take it anymore, they released it. I tried to get up... to get away, but I couldn't. They said... they said that they weren't through with me yet. One of them put me in a full body bind. The leader, the one who had been doing all of the talking, come over to me. He.. he..." Ginny took a great, shuddering breath, trying to calm herself enough to talk.

"He knelt down next to me, and told me to tell Harry that no one near him was safe. He said to tell him that the Dark Lord would take away everyone Harry cared about," Ginny began to sob in earnest now. She felt Percy press a handkerchief into her hand.

"Go on please, Miss Weasley," she heard him say in a choked voice, as though he too was having a difficult time with his emotions. She opened and closed her mouth soundlessly several times, before she was able to get the words out.

"He used a knife to carve this into my head," She said, barely above a whisper, as she brushed her hair back, revealing the jagged lightning bolt shape on her forehead. A collective gasp went up in the courtroom.

"Miss Weasley were you able to identify who had done this to you?" Percy asked. Ginny nodded.

"I saw his eyes, through the mask. He was enjoying it," she said shivering.

"And whose eyes did you see through the mask?"

"Draco Malfoy's," she said, pointing a shaky finger at Malfoy.

"Thank you, Miss Weasley," Percy said. "Your witness, Parkinson."

"Touching story, Miss Weasley," Parkinson said mockingly. "Isn't it true that your family and the Malfoys have never gotten along."

"Yes sir, we try to avoid associating with death eaters," Ginny said, raising her chin defiantly.

"And are you aware that your brother Ronald, Mr. Harry Potter, and a Miss Hermione Granger have, on several occassions, been involved in confrontations with Draco Malfoy?"

"Yes, I am. Draco is a bullying git. He's always saying things abo..." Ginny said. Parkinson interrupted her.

"Just answer the question, Miss Weasley. The day before the supposed attack on you, there was a confrontation on the school train which resulted in Draco being injured by Mr. Potter, isn't that true?"

"Yes, but..." Ginny said.

"Thank you, Miss Weasley," Mr. Parkinson said, smiling an oily smile.

"Permission to redirect?" Percy asked. Madam Bones nodded her agreement.

"Miss Weasley, will you tell us exactly what happened aboard the Hogwart's Express on September the first?"

"Yes, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, and myself were sitting in our train car talking when Draco showed up. He said some foul things about myself and Hermione. He also said some things about Harry's godfather. Harry asked him to leave. When he wouldn't, Harry kicked him out, and Draco bit his tongue," Ginny answered.

"Thank you, Miss Weasley," Percy said.

"I know this was difficult for you, Ginny. Thank you for your testimony. You may step down. Next witness," Madame Bones said. Ginny steped down, and went to sit next to her mum, who wrapped her immediately in one of her famous hugs.

"The Ministry calls Harry James Potter," Percy said. An excited murmur rose in the courtroom, as people strained to get a view of the famous Boy-Who-Lived. The door to the side of the room opened, and Harry entered, walked to the witness stand, and sat down, trying to not think about the fact that this was the very same courtroom used for his disciplinary hearing the year before. Harry's eyes flicked to Ginny and saw her pale, tear stained face before sending a steely glare at Malfoy, who, in turn, reatced with his usual sneering smirk.

"Mr. Potter, it was you who found Miss Weasley after the attack?" Percy asked.

"Yes, it was," Harry said, confidently.

"Could you tell us, please, how that came about?" Percy questioned. Harry acknowledged him with a nod.

"Ginny and I had agreed to meet for lunch. When she was late, I became concerned. I asked another student in her year, Colin Creevey, if he'd seen her. He said that she'd had to stay after in potions."

"And did his explanation relieve your mind?" Percy asked.

"No, it didn't. For some reason I just had a feeling that something was not right, so I went outside the doors to wait for her. When she still didn't show up after a while, I became very worried and was just goign to go look for her, when I heard someone coming up the corridor."

"And do you know who it was?" Percy inquired. Harry nodded.

"It was Malfoy, and his two friends Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle," Harry said.

"I see, and what happened next?"

"When Malfoy saw me he laughed, and asked where Ginny was. He said that he hoped that the "littlest weasel hadn't met with an accident." That's what he calls Ginny. When he said that, I knew why I'd been feeling so uneasy and I went to look for her," Harry said.

"And did you find her, Mr. Potter?"

"Yes, sir. I saw her hair sticking out from underneath one of the tapestries near the dungeons," Harry answered.

"And what condition was she in when you found her?" Percy asked. Harry's green eyes filled with pain, as he saw her laying there helpless in his mind's eye.

"She was still unconscious. There was blood everywhere. I thought.... I thought she was dead at first. I thought I'd lost her, but then I saw her breathe. She still had a full body bind on her, so I took it off and carried her to Madam Pomfrey in the hospital wing," he said softly. He was dimly aware of someone snapping a picture, and reporters scrambling to get down his every word. His eyes sought Ginny's again, and he felt better, knowing that she was ok.

"Were you present when she awoke later that evening?" Percy questioned.

"Yes, I was, along with Professor Dumbledore."

"And what did she say at that time?"

"She told us what had happened. Then she said that it was Draco who had attacked her. She said she had seen his eyes through the mask he was wearing," Harry answered.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter. Your witness, Parkinson," Percy said.

"Mr. Potter, how would you characterize your relationship with Draco Malfoy?" Parkinson asked. Harry frowned.

"We don't get along,"he said.

"Don't get along? Isn't that a bit of an understatement, Mr. Potter?"

"Perhaps," Harry conceded.

"Isn't it true that you and Draco Malfoy hate each other, and that there have been several confrontations between you?"

"Yes sir, there have been."

"Can you tell us, Mr. Potter,what happened last June in the Department of Mysteries, here at the Ministry?" Parkinson said. Harry visibly paled, and Percy stood up indignantly.

"Minister, I fail to see what that has to do with this proceeding," Percy said.

"I intend to show that Mr. Potter has motive to falsely accuse Mr. Malfoy, ma'am," Parkinson said. Madam Bones frowned. She was clearly unhappy with this line of questioning, but was forced to be impartial.

"Very well, Parkinson, but this had better prove to be pertinent," she said at last.

"Mr. Potter, the events of last June?" Parkinson sneered. Harry tried to control the anger, sorrow, and guilt discussing that day always brought.

"I was lured to the Ministry by Voldemort. I had been led to believe that my godfather, Sirius Black was in danger. When I arrived, there were death eaters waiting. Sirius had never been there. My friends, who had come with me, and I did our best to fight them off, but... Sirius and some others showed up, after finding out where we had gone. He was killed in the ensuing battle," Harry managed to choke out, as he fiercly blinked back tears.

"And were Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Black LeStrange amongst the alleged death eaters present?"

"Yes," Harry said tersely.

"Wasn't it Draco's aunt, Bellatrix LeStrange who killed your beloved godfather?"

"Yes," Harry snapped. "It was."

"Don't you in fact hold Draco Malfoy's family responsible for the death of Sirius Black?"

"No," Harry said firmly. "I don't." Parkinson's eyes widened in momentary suprise, then turned mocking.

"Come now, Mr. Potter. If not them, then who?" Parkinson said tauntingly.

"Myself," he answered quietly. "I was fooled, tricked by Voldemort. Sirius never should have been there. My friends never should have been there. It was my fault." A murmur went once more around the courtroom. The frantic scratching of quills was beginning to get on Harry's rapidly fraying nerves, almost as much as the bored smirk upon Malfoy's face.

"How touching," Parkinson sneered. "Do you honestly expect us to believe that?" Harry shrugged.

"I can only state the truth. I can not control what people believe," Harry said. Parkinson narrowed his eyes, obviously unhappy that Harry was able to turn his questioning so easily back on him.

"Mr. Potter, you said that after you found Miss Weasley, you took her to the hospital wing. Did you stay with her the entire time?"

"No," Harry admitted. "I didn't."

"Why did you leave? You stated that you were so concerned, that you thought that you had lost her," Parkinson inquired.

"I went looking for Malfoy," Harry said defiantly, beginning to lose the battle with his temper.

"I see, and did you find him?"

"Yes, I did," Harry ground out.

"Why did you go looking for him, Mr. Potter?" Parkinson said smoothly, a small, triumphant smile on his face.

"Because I knew, from what he'd said earlier that it was him who had hurt Ginny," Harry said.

"So, before Miss Weasley named her attacker, you took it upon yourself to find Draco Malfoy, whom you blamed becuase of an innocent statement on his part. Didn't you then attack him, Mr. Potter? "

"Yes," Harry growled. "I did." Harry heard gasps from those observing, and saw Remus and Moody exchange a nervous glance. Parkinson smiled a slow, satisfied smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter. Nothing further."

"Redirect!" Percy said, rising. Madame Bones nodded.

"Harry, has Draco Malfoy ever attacked either yourself or your friends before, in a less serious manner?"

"Yes, frequently. He thinks its great sport," Harry said.

"In the last two years, how many people that you know have been attacked or killed?" Percy asked quietly. Harry's eyes widened, and he wordlessly shook his head. His mind reeled away from the enormity of what Percy was asking of him. He saw Remus start to rise, and be restrained by Moody and the twins.

"Answer the question, Mr. Potter," Madame Bones said, gently. Harry turned to the Wizengamot, and saw Dumbledore look sadly at him, before nodding slightly. Harry took a deep shuddering, breath.

"My godfather, my Uncle Vernon, my cousin Dudley, and my friend Cedric Diggory have all died. They were murdered by Voldemort and his agents. My Aunt Petunia is in St. Mungo's. She was tortured into insanity by the cruciatus this summer when death eaters attacked our house. That's when my uncle and cousin were killed, as well. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley have both nearly been killed. My guardian, Remus Lupin, has been attacked. My best friends were injured when Voldemort lured me to the Ministry in June when Sirius died. Then Ginny was attacked," he managed to choke out. People throughout the courtroom wore expressions of mingled pity and horror at what the handsome young man before them had suffered in the last two years.

"Aside from Ginny, do you hold Draco Malfoy or his family repsonsible for any of these attacks?"

"No, I do not," Harry said firmly.

"Mr. Potter, why did you attack Draco Malfoy that day?"

"It was the scar," Harry said hollowly. "When I saw that Ginny had been marked like that, like me, I had to do it. I had to protect her. I couldn't let her go through the things I have. I couldn't let her deal with that pain. This damn scar is the symbol of all of it, and now she had one too. I guess... I guess I lost control. I went to the Great Hall, and I levitated him up to the ceiling and pinned him there. As much as I wanted to hurt him though, as much as I hated him at that moment, I didn't do it. I put him back down and I went back to Ginny.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter. I know that some of these things were very difficult for you to talk about," Percy said, giving him a small smile. Harry nodded.

"You may step down, Harry. Next witness," Madam Bones said.

Harry went dierectly to Ginny, who hugged him tightly to her, crying.

"I'm so sorry, Harry," she said, softly.

"Shhhh," he soothed. "It's not your fault. I'd go through it all again to make sure your safe." Ginny kissed him, oblivious to the reporters who were once again snapping pictures, and pulled him down to sit between her and Remus.

By the time they were settled, Madam Pomfrey had taken the stand. Her testimony went much quicker than either Harry's or Ginny's had. She gave a brief overview of Ginny's condition after the attack and confirmed that she had, in fact been placed under the cruciatus. Mr. Parkinson chose not to cross examine her, and she was allowed to sit down.

"The Ministry calls Auror Nymphadora Tonks," Percy said. Tonks entered, tripping as she came through the door. Blushing brightly, she hastily took the stand.

"Auror Tonks, you were the officer who took Miss Weasley's statement, is that correct?" Percy asked.

"Yes, it is," Tonks replied.

"And what evidence, if any, did you collect at that time?"

"At that time, the only evidence I collected was Miss Weasley's statement. I then contacted the Ministry, who sent a team of aurors to Hogwarts. When they arrived, Mr. Malfoy was taken in to custody and searched. We aslo checked his wand for evidence of priori incantatem. It was during our search, that the dark mark was discovered upon his forearm. Additionally, the priori incantatem indicated that one of the last spells his wand had performed was the cruciatus curse," Tonks said.

"Thank you, Auror. Mr. Parkinson, your witness." Parkinson rose, smiling nastily at Tonks.

"Auror Tonks, how did you come to be at Hogwarts at the time of Miss Weasley's attack?" Parkinson asked.

"I'm on loan from the Ministry, teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts," Tonks answered.

"I see. Miss Tonks, is it true you and Harry Potter have a... personal relationship?" Parkinson said, smirking. Harry felt Remus tense beside him at the implication. The reporters in the room began to whisper excitedly amongst themselves.

"I'm not sure what you mean. He is one of my students, yes," Tonks said frowning. Parkinson raised his eyebrow.

"Your relationship goes a little beyond that doesn't it?" he sneered. Tonks flushed, glaring.

"Not in the way you seem to be implying," Tonks growled.

"Oh? Then please explain, Auror," Parkinson said. Tonks bit her lip, her eyes flicking to Remus, who was growling softly, deep in his throat. Harry put a restraining hand on his guardian,as did Moody.

"I'm in a relationship with Harry's guardian, Remus Lupin," she said, raising her chin defiantly, in much the same way Ginny had earlier.

"Aren't you in fact living with Mr. Potter's werewolf guardian," Parkinson asked. Tonks' eyes flashed dangerously at Parkinson.

"No, Mr. Parkinson. I am living with the man who happens to be Harry's guardian," Tonks snapped.

"Interesting that the one auror at Hogwarts, just happens to be living with Potter's werewolf guardian Auror, can you tell the court who found Mr. Malfoy's wand?"

"I did," Tonks said glaring. Harry watched in growing concern, as he noticed that Remus' eyes were beginning to take on a faint golden hue in his anger, as they did on full moon days. He saw his guardian's fists clench in his lap, and noticed he was taking slow, deep breaths, trying to calm himself.

"Interesting," Mr Parkinson repeated with a smirk. "I have nothing further."

Percy rose to redirect, as Parkinson sat down by a maliciously grinning Malfoy.

"Auror, at anytime from his arrest until the search was concluded, were you alone with Mr. Malfoy?"

"No, I was not. Its Ministry policy that at least two people be with a suspect at all times," said Tonks.

"I see. Mr. Parkinson was so kind as to illuminate us about your relationship to Harry Potter, but you have a relationship to the defendent as well, isn't that correct?"

"Yes." Tonks smirked. "He's my cousin. My mother and his are sisters."

"Thank you, Auror. You may step down. The Minsitry has no further witnesses at this time," Percy said, as Tonks left the stand and came to sit by Remus, speaking softly and soothingly to him.

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley. Mr. Parkinson, do you have any witnesses to present?" Madame Bones asked.

"Yes, Minister. The defense calls Draco Phineas Malfoy," Parkinson said. Ginny tensed, and clenched Harry's hand. Draco stood and, as arrogantly as ever, strode to the witness stand.

"Mr. Malfoy, could you please tell us exactly what you remember of the events surrounding Miss Weasley's attack?"

"Certainly. I'd had class all morning, along with the rest of my house. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened, really. The first I heard of the attack was in the Great Hall. I'd been eating lunch with my friends, when I saw Potter come in. He was all covered in this green fire and he hollered something about me touching his little girlfriend. Next thing I know, I'm dangling from the ceiling," Draco said, putting his hand dramatically to his chest.

"That must've been quite traumatizing for you, Mr. Malfoy," Parkinson sympathized.

"It was horrible," Draco said with a delicate shiver that made Harry long to get up and punch him.

"I know how awful this has all been for you, but could you please tell us what happened next."

"Dumbledore forced Potter to put me down, and then they all swept him off to the hospital wing. I was locked in my common room with my head of house, Professor Snape. I stayed there until the aurors came. I wasn't even sure why I was in trouble," Draco said piteously.

"So did you attack Ginevra Weasley, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Absolutely not," Draco said, looking Ginny staright in the eye. Harry clenched his jaw, and used every occlumency technique he could think of to keep from slamming Malfoy into the ceiling again.

"Tell us about your relationship with Harry Potter." Parkinson said. Draco sighed, shaking his head.

"I tried to be his friend, to teach him who the right sort of people to associate with were, but those Weasleys got their claws into him first, and fed him a bunch of lies about me. He's hated me from the first. He's always talking down to me, and he and his friends bully me. It's been terrible."

"Oh please," Ron muttered, before Hermione shushed him.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy. Your witness, Weasley."

"Mr. Malfoy, it is your testimony that you did not attack Ginevra Weasley?" Percy asked.

"No, I didn't," Draco said haughtily. Percy nodded.

"So, how do you explain the fact that your wand was used to cast the cruciatus curse the day of Miss Weasley's attack?"

"I haven't the faintest idea. I would assume someone must've tampered with it," Draco replied, shooting a pointed glance towards Tonks. Percy smiled mockingly.

"Of course, it was tampered with. What about the dark mark on your arm, Mr. Malfoy? Was your arm tampered with as well?"

"No," Draco sneered. "My father put it there. It's a bit of a family tradition." Harry stifled a triumphant grin, as Draco's facade as the injured party slipped.

"Mr. Malfoy, how many times have you been given detention by professors at Hogwarts for the bullying of other students?"

"The staff is biased. They all love Potter and the Weasleys," Draco said.

"Answer the question, Mr. Malfoy," Percy said softly.

"I don't know," Draco hissed. Percy smiled.

"Fortunately, I have a copy of your record. In the five years you completed at the school, you have received over fifty detentions. At least half of them have bullying listed as the reason," Percy told him. Draco merely smirked at him, raising an arrogant eyebrow.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy. That's all," Percy said, returning to his seat.

"Mr. Parkinson, do you wish to redirect?" Madam Bones asked.

"No, Minister. The defense rests," Mr. Parkinson said.

"Very well," Madam Bones said. "I call for a vote."

"All those in favor of a finding of guilty," the deep voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt rumbled. A large majority of the Wizengamot members raised their hands.

"Those opposed?" Shacklebolt said. A handful of Wizengamot members, very imperiously raised their hands. Harry noticed that Dumbledore had abstained. Madam Bones held a brief whispered converstaion with Kingsley and a few others, then turned back to face Malfoy.

"Draco Phineas Malfoy, you have been found guilty of attacking and torturing Ginevra Molly Weasley. Furthermore, we find that you have, indeed, violated the laws prohibiting the use of unforgivable curses by the use of the cruciatus curse. Custom and law demands that you be sent to Azkaban," Madam Bones proclaimed.

Harry had kept his attention focused on Malfoy the entire time. The Slytherin was smirking broadly. Harry frowned. Something was not right. His eyes narrowed, as he saw the witch behind Draco reach out and covertly place something in his hands.

"Remus!" Harry hissed, but it was too late. Malfoy stood up, blew a mocking kiss at Ginny, and disappeared as the portkey activated. A collective gasp of outrage rose from those assembled.

"Bloody hell, someone has broken the wards around the courtrooms," Tonks cursed, as Harry struggled to get through the crowd to the witch who'd hand the portkey to Malfoy.

"Awww... little baby Potter. Are you coming to see me? Sad that my sweet nephew got away from you?" an all too familiar voice mocked as the courtroom filled with aurors. Laughing mockingly, Bellatrix ended the spell disguising her and disapperated.

A/N: I owe you all a HUGE apology for this chapter taking so long. I've gone back to college after being out for...well a really long time. I had two projects, three papers, and a test this week, so unfortunately, the story had to take the back burner. To make it up to you, I made it extra long. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Many thanks go out to Danielle for moderating, my son for telling me to just quit re-writing the courtroom scenes already, and all of you for reading and giving me such nice reviews.

Next chapter, fallout from the trial and it's Christmas! Yay!
Fear of a Name by Weasley Mom

All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Chaos reigned in the courtroom following Draco and Bellatrix's disappearance. As Harry struggled to get back through the crowd to Ginny and the others, he noticed the aurors ushering the press and members of the Wizengamot out. He saw Moody stop a group of aurors nearest him and point at Julius Parkinson, who was immediately taken into custody.

"Bloody Hell!" Tonks cursed again as Harry forced his way past Rita, who was demanding her promised interview. He paid no attention to her, however, as he was focused completely on Ginny. She was once again pale, and her hands shook slightly, but Harry was relieved to see that she did not have the lost expression she had worn when she'd received news of the trial. He had just reached her side when white hot pain shot through his scar, and he clutched his forehead. He quickly slammed his mental shields in place, but not before he got a glimpse into Voldemort's mind.

"Professor!" he heard Ginny shout, as he fought the wave of nausea and dizziness that always accompanied these mental breaches. Dumbledore, who had seen Harry clutch his forehead, was already making his way to where Harry and the others stood. He felt Remus and Ginny supporting him, as he clenched his teeth to keep from vomitting.

"What is it, Harry?" Remus aksed urgently. "What did you see?"

"It was more than just Malfoy," Harry choked out. " He managed to get all of the prisoners out of the Ministry, and Azkaban too, I think. Voldemort was there, and he was very happy."

"You heard?" Remus asked, as Dumbledore, Madam Bones, and Kingsley came up. Dumbledore nodded tersely, while Kingsley ordered a cadre of aurors to the detention block.

"Are they still in the Ministry, Harry?" Dumbledore asked. Harry concentrated on the image he'd gotten, frowning.

"No, I don't think so. I think..." his eyes widened. "The last attack... It wasn't to get the prisoners out, not then. It was to get information in to them. Their plan was to take the wards down all along so that people could just apparate out. Malfoy can't apparate. That's why Bellatrix had to get him the portkey," Harry said.

"Minister," an auror said, as he rushed up to Madam Bones. "The detention block has been emptied. We've received word from Azkaban, as well. They've been attacked by dementors and a sizable group of death eaters. You-know-who was with them. The few surviving aurors were forced to abandon it, ma'am."

"Thank you, Jamison," Madam Bones said, dismissing him. She turned back to Dumbledore. "What now, Albus?"

"Now, we do what we can to calm public fears, and prepare for the battle to start in earnest," Dumbledore said quietly. Madame Bones nodded, sighing.

"Weasley?" she said.

"Yes?" chorused Percy and Mr. Weasley.

"Percy," she clarified. "Public relations is your forte. Get all those reporters to the atrium for a press conference. We might as well take advantage of them, since they are here. Albus, Arthur, Alastor, and Kingsley... I'd like you there to back me up." Percy nodded and practically flew to obey, happy to be back in the good graces of those in power. Her eyes lit upon Harry then.

"Young Mr. Potter, also I think," she added.

"Me?" Harry almost squeaked. "I'm really not good at this sort of thing, Minister."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Potter, but the public has a great deal of faith in you. Anything I say with you and Albus behind me, suddenly carries alot more weight," she told him.

"But...I..." Harry stuttered. "Shouldn't I get back to school?"

"Harry, I will not allow you to be forced to do this, however, you and I both know that Voldemort thrives on fear. People need re-assurance right now. You can give them that, Harry," Dumbledore said.

"I... ," he said uncertainly. He felt Ginny's small hand slip into his, and looked down at her. Though she still did not look her normal self, there was a grim determination in her face.

"It's time for you to step into the role you were born for, Harry. They need you, and I know that you can do it," she said. Her words hit Harry with the force of a sledge hammer. He knew that she was right. He knew that he could not let people give up just as the battle was starting. Reluctantly, he nodded.

"Remus, Nymphadora... please accompany Poppy and the other children back to school. If you could also inform Minerva and Severus of the happenings here, I will want to see them both when I return," Dumbledore said.

"Your pardon, Headmaster," Hermione said determinedly. "We'd like to stay with, Harry." Dumbledore smiled, gently at her, despite the circumstances.

"I know that you would, Miss Granger. I would not wish to subject Miss Weasley, or Harry's private life, to further scrutiny today, however." Dumbledore said, once more, producing the purple hula hoop and handing it to Remus. Lupin took it, turning to Harry.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked. Harry allowed himself a small smile.

"Want to? No. Need to? Yes, I'm sure," he said. Remus nodded.

"When you get back, if you need to talk or anything, you know where to find us," Remus said. Harry hugged the older man.

"Thank you, Moony," he said. Remus smiled, and held out the portkey for them all to take hold of. Ginny was the last to take hold of it, her eyes locked with Harry's.

"I love you," she said, as they faded out. Taking a deep breath, Harry turned back to the Headmaster and the others.

"No, Arthur," Mrs. Weasley was saying. "I should be here for this. Harry may need me afterwards."

"Molly, you need to go home and rest," Mr. Weasley said with uncharacteristic firmness.

"Mrs. Weasley, I'll be fine. Please, go home and rest. I would never forgive myself if you overdid it because of me," Harry said pleadingly. Mrs. Weasley's eyes softened.

"Oh allright, dear," she conceded. "If you're sure.' Harry nodded, and Mrs. Weasley hugged Harry before leaving with Bill, Charlie, and the twins. He couldn't help but notice that her hug was not quite as hard as normal and realized, despite how much improved she appeared, she was not yet fully recovered.

"Minister," Percy panted, as he rushed into the room. "They're all assembled."

"Thank you, Weasley," she acknowledged. "Shall we gentlemen?"

Harry and Dumbledore followed Madame Bones through the Ministry, accompanied by Mr. Weasley, Moody, Percy, and Kingsley, who was receiving updates via flying memo as they walked. They arrived in the Atrium to find it packed with people. Harry's eyes widened, and he swallowed nervously. Madam Bones, after a brief whispered conversation with Kingsley, walked up to the podium. Dumbledore and Harry moved to stand behind and to either side of her, the latter trying desperately to not look as nervous as he felt.

"Sometime this afternoon," Madam Bones began. "In a move that we believe to have been orchestrated by You-Know-Who and his followers, the protective wards around the Ministry were breached. All thirty of the maximum security prisoners held here have escaped. The wards have been restored, and we do not expect further incident at the Ministry today. We now believe that the previous attack on the Ministry was to test the efficiency of the wards, and also to alert those held here." She paused to allow this information to sink in.

"Additionally, a second attack was unleashed by You-Know-Who upon Azkaban Prison. The Ministry was forced to abandon the prison, and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named currently has his dementors and death eaters in control of it." A low murmur went around the room at this latest information.

"The Ministry urges the public to stay calm. We are using every resource at our disposal to recapture the prisoners and hope to have them back in custody soon. Questions?" Madam Bones asked.

A cacophony of sound immediately rose from the assembled reporters as they fired questions. Most were directed at the Minister, however, Dumbledore and Kingsley answered their fair share also. Finally, what Harry dreaded happened. Someone directed a question at him. Naturally, it was Rita Skeeter.

"Harry, what are your feelings on the incidents today and their impact upon you, personally, with the escape of both Draco Mlafoy and Peter Pettigrew?" she asked.

Harry warily stepped up to the podium, carefully considering his answer. He looked nervously at Professor Dumbledore, who gave him an encouraging nod. Clearing his throat, Harry did his best to give an intelligent answer.

" I have every confidence that the Ministry is doing the best that they can to deal with these incidents. As far as the escape of Pettigrew and Malfoy..." Harry took a deep breath, trying to reign in his emotions.

"Let me ask you Rita, how would you feel if you were me? How would you feel if the person responsible for the murder of your parents and the unjust incarceration of your godfather escaped? How would you feel if the person who brutally attacked the one that you love escaped before any justice could be found? I'm angry, but not at the Ministry. I lay the blame solely at Voldemort's feet, where it belongs." A gasp had gone up at Harry's use of the dreaded V word.

"That's the second time today that you have said his name, Harry. I would think you, of all people, would be reluctant to say it." Rita said, her eyes wide. Harry smiled, shaking his head. Finally, he would get a chance to spread the word about something that had been a constant annoyance to him.

"Voldemort wins with fear. If we can't even say his name, how can we possibly defeat him?" Harry said.

"Do you honestly believe that's a possibility, Harry?" the reporter asked. "Do you honestly think he can be defeated?"

"Yes, I do," Harry said quietly, realizing that it was true. He did believe it. He had to believe it. He wanted to have a future. He wanted something more than the life he had now, not just for him, but for Ginny and Ron and Hermione, and all of those he loved. He would do whatever it took to make sure that dream became reality. He stepped back from the podium.

"Thank you for coming," Madam Bones said. "That is all of the questions that we will be taking."

She and Dumbledore then ushered Harry into a nearby fireplace, directing him to floo to the Minister's office. They followed, as did Kingsley, Moody, Mr. Weasley, and Percy. Once they were all there, Madame Bones offered them all seats and sat down herself. Taking a decanter of firewhiskey, she poured drinks for them all, including Harry.

"Ummm... Minister, I'm underage," Harry said, startled. The Minister grinned.

"One of the benefits of being Minister, I hereby declare that you can drink. You've more than earned it today, young man," she said. Harry glanced at the headmaster, whose blue eyes were twinkling mischieviously.

"Who am I to contradict the Minister of Magic herself," Dumbledore said. Harry picked up the glass and took a tentative sip.

"That went off much better than I expected. My compliments, gentlemen," Madame Bones said, raising her glass. "And you, Mr. Potter, I may have to bring you to all of my press conferences." At Harry's suddenly pale face and faintly nauseous expression, she laughed.

"Publicity not your cup of tea, Potter?" she said. Harry frantically shook his head.

"No, Minister," he said. She nodded.

"I dislike it myself. When I first became head of magical law enforcement, I'd get sick everytime I had to do one of those."

"I'd keep an eye on this one, Amelia. It wouldn't suprise me if he's head of Magical Law Enforcement himself someday. He's even taking auror training at Hogwarts," Moody said, with a hint of pride in Harry's abilities.

"He completed the equivalent of two years battle training in lessons this summer with Tonks, Moody, and I," Kingsley added. "He has a gift." Harry found himself blushing deeply at their praise.

"Well Mr. Potter, it would seem that you're following in your father's footsteps. I never thought that I would see another auror like James Potter. That boy was absolutely uncanny at times," she said fondly.

"You knew my dad?" Harry asked. She nodded.

"Alastor and I trained him," she said pointing at Moody with her glass. Quirking an eyebrow at the grizzled old auror she asked, "Is he as good as James was?"

"He may well be better, Amelia," Moody said. Madam Bones raised a startled eyebrow.

"Now that is a complement. Merlin knows we're going to need all the help we can get now," she sighed. "I suppose we have allowed ourselves all the respite we're likely to get in the next few days, gentlemen. Time to get to work."

"Your pardon, Amelia," Dumbledore said. "I do need to get Harry back to Hogwarts, however."

"Of course, Albus," she said. "Shall I come by the school tomorrow?" Dumbledore nodded.

"We should have some new information by then," he said.

"All right then. Harry, it was a pleasure getting to know you, and thank you for all of your assistance today," the Minister said.

"Your welcome, Minister," Harry said, giving her a small smile. He bid the Weasleys, Kingsley, and Moody good-bye, then took hold of the portkey which Dumbledore offered. As it activated, he couldn't help but think how different this Minister of Magic was from the last.

They arrived back at the headmaster's office with a jolt. Dumbledore walked to his desk to sit down, pausing to give Fawkes an affectionate scratch. Harry sank into the chair the headmaster indicated with a sigh, happy to be back on familiar ground. Dumbledore seemed to sense this and his eyes began to twinkle.

"You took an important first step today, Harry. You handled it very well," the headmaster said smiling.

"Thank you, sir. I'm not sure I would've been able to do it without Ginny's encouragement though," he said. The headmaster nodded, regarding the young man with an amused expression.

"Wise beyond her years, our Miss Weasley. I believe that you'll find her in the Gryffindor common room," the professor told him. Harry smiled sheepishly.

"That obvious am I?" he asked.

"Only to those who know you well, Harry," Dumbledore said. Still smiling, Harry bid his mentor good-bye and left in search of Ginny. He entered the Gryffindor common room to find Ginny, Ron, and Hermione in their usual places by the fire, waiting on him.

"Harry!" Ginny exclaimed, getting up and hurrying over to him. She wrapped him in a hug, before pulling him over to the fire with the others.

"So, what's going on, mate? Have they caught the git yet?" Ron demanded. Harry quickly explained everything that had happened in the press conference and afterwards in the Ministers office.

"I can't believe you got to drink firewhiskey and in front of Dumbledore, the Minister, and the head of Magical Law Enforcement, not to mention my dad," Ron said astonished. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Honestly Ronald! All that Harry just told us, and you're worried about firewhiskey," she said.

"Oh c'mon, Hermione. He didn't tell us anything we didn't already know," Ron defended himself.

"Oh really? What about that bit about "new information tomorrow"? Do you know what that means?" she asked.

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe it means that they'll know more tomorrow?" Ron said sarcastically. Hermione sighed.

"Obviously they're going to be sending Snape on a mission tonight," Hermione said with a significant look.

"Dumbledore did say he wanted to see McGonnagall and Snape when he got back," Ginny added thoughtfully.

"Exactly," Hermione said. Harry reached his hands under his galsses and tiredly rubbed his eyes.

"If Snape's going on a mission, there will probably be an Order meeting in the next couple of days. We should get the group together and see if anyone has anything to report," he said. The others nodded their agreement.

"We had better hold it in the room of requirement. I'd bet money that Harry's going to be on the front page of The Prophet tomorrow and he'll have every girl in the castle making cow eyes at him," Ron said.

"I'm trying not to think about that. Thanks," Harry said grimacing.

"Don't worry, love. I'll protect you," Ginny said, giggling. Harry smiled, laying back tiredly against the couch. Ginny snuggled up to him. The others continued talking softly, as Harry let his mind wander and he slowly drifted off to sleep.

He awoke in the grey hours before dawn with Ginny still snuggled up to him. He realized, as he looked blearily around, that someone had removed his glasses and covered them up with a blanket. Trying not to wake Ginny, he located his glasses on a nearby table and put them on. He smiled when he saw Ron and Hermione sleeping in the chairs where they had sat last night.

"Good Morning," Ginny said sleepily.

"You know, I'm starting to get used to this," Harry whispered, not wanting Ron and Hermione to wake just yet. Ginny laughed huskily.

"It's not a bad way to wake up at all," she said softly.

"Thank you for yesterday," he said her after a while. "You were right. It was important for me to do that."

"I think part of me has always known what you were destined for, Harry, even before I knew about the prophecy. You're destined for more than just what it asks of you, you know. You're destined to lead all the rest of us," she said simply.

"How can you have so much faith in me?" he asked in wonder.

"Because I love you," she said simply. Harry smiled, his heart in his eyes.

"I love you too," he said. Ginny lifted her face and gently kissed him. They broke apart as they heard a discrete cough and the sound of someone coming, very noisily down the stairs.

"So Nev, did you get that essay done for Snape?" Seamus asked loudly.

"Yes, Seamus. I did. What about you, Dean? Did you get yours done?" Neville almost shouted.

"Why yes I did," Dean said loudly. Then more quietly, "Think they heard us?"

"Yes, we did," Harry said laughing. The three boys came the rest of the way down the steps with innocent looks upon their faces. Ron and Hermione had woken up from the commotion and were sitting up looking blearily around.

"Morning," Seamus grinned. "You four down here celebrating, Malfoy's downfall last night?" Harry protectively put an arm around Ginny, who tensed at the sound of the name. Seeing that, the boys frowned.

"They didn't let the bloody git off did they?" Dean demanded.

"No, Dean. They found him guilty," Ginny said softly.

"Then what happened?" Neville asked.

"He escaped after the trial, with Bellatrix and every other prisoner at the Ministry. Azkaban fell too," Ron said.

"Bellatrix was there?" Neville said, his eyes hardening.

"Briefly. It'll all be in The Prophet this morning, I'm sure," Harry said. "We better get changed. We'll see you down at breakfast."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were changed and walking into the Great Hall within about thirty minutes. As soon as he entered the Great Hall, Harry knew that the paper had yet to be delivered as people were eating normally and not whispering about him. Looking up at the head table, he saw Remus and Tonks chatting and laughing. They took their usual spots at the Gryffindor table.

"Maybe if we eat fast enough we can get out before the mail is delivered," Harry joked. Just then the woosh of wings overhead announced the arrival of the owls.

"So much for that," Ron said, as a copy of The Daily Prophet was dropped in front of Hermione. She immediately opened it and began reading. Ginny and Ron moved to look over her shoulder, while Seamus and Neville peered at Dean's copy. Harry meanwhile, tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. The whispers and stares began almost at once.

"Well?" he said after a while. "How bad is it?" Wordlessly, Hermione handed him the paper. There on the front cover, was a picture of him from the press conference. Dumbledore and the Minister stood to either side of him, while Kingsley, Moody, Percy, and Mr. Weasley stood protectively in the background. The headline read Boy-Who-Lived Offers Hope in the Face of Darkness.

"Bloody hell," Harry said. Dean, Seamus, and Neville were looking at Harry in wonder, as were most of the students in the hall.

"Its really very complimentary, Harry," Hermione said. "Even the bits about the trial say that Julius Parkinson attempted to 'stamp out the light of truth'."

"Did you really say that, Harry? About... V-v-voldemort?" Seamus asked. "Do you really think we can win this war?"

"Yeah, Seamus. I do," Harry said quietly.

That was just the first of hundreds of questions he would be asked over the next few weeks. Shy by nature, Harry despised the constant scrutiny he was under. He found himself, more and more often sneaking off under his dad's invisibility cloak just for some peace and quiet. Ginny often accompanied him on these adventures, and they became closer than ever.

Despite his even more pronounced celebrity status, life was going very well for Harry and the others. Part B of the Great Pig Prank was still in full swing, and all of Gryffindor, as well as a few Ravenclaws, had joined in on it. They didn't even have to let Pansy the pig out of her pen for a "pig sighting" to occur. Otherwise serious students were regularly reporting seeing the pig wandering the school. Mr. Filch had taken to walking the halls muttering "Heeeeere piggy piggy piggy!" under his breath. Harry had even heard rumors that the man had developed a sudden allergy to all pork products.

With the escape of the death eaters, Harry had stepped up the DA's training. Virtually all of the older group could produce a patronus, allowing Harry to move on to other defensive spells. As there were almost daily attacks by the death eaters and dementors being reported, Harry was very relieved by this progress.

Harry and the others were continuing their work on becoming animagus, as well. The week before Christmas, Ron, the last one to be able to do it, had successfully completed a full body transformation. The four had decided that they would reveal their suprise to Moony on Christmas Eve, after they had returned to Grimmauld Place.

The morning of the last Hogsmede visit before Christmas, Harry and the others were sitting down at the Gryffindor table for breakfast. Ginny and Ron, who shared an equal enthusiasm for the holiday, were doing their best to trick Harry and Hermione into telling them what they were getting them for Christmas. Hermione's strategy was simple. She refused to answer any questions. Harry on the other hand, needed no strategy as he didn't have the faintest idea what he was getting either of them.

"Oh come on Hermione. Just give me a little hint. Please?" Ron pleaded. Hermione smiled benignly over her book, and continued to read.

"Is it bigger than a snitch?" Ginny asked Harry. Harry grinned.

"It might be," he said. Ginny smiled in triumph. "Then again, it might not."

"You two are no fun what-so-ever," she pouted. Harry laughed.

"I don't know. I'm rather enjoying myself. How 'bout you, Hermione?" Harry said. Hermione looked up from her books.

"Absolutely. I'm having a splendid time," Hermione said, her eyes twinkling with mischief. Remus and Tonks stopped by their table then.

"Morning you four. Looking forward to Hogsmede?" Remus asked.

"Morning Moony," Harry said. "You two on guard duty today then?"

"Yep," Tonks answered. "I need to do some Christmas shopping today, anyway."

As, the foursome were pretty much done with breakfast at that point, they rose and walked with Remus and Tonks to the entrance hall to await the trip. Almost immediately, Ron and Hermione began to argue about where they were going to go first. Harry and Ginny just rolled their eyes at them. These arguments were something of a Hogsmede weekend tradition. Remus, whom Harry noticed seemed to be a bit on edge this morning, finally settled the dispute for them.

"Harry, Ron, and I will go to the quidditch shop. You girls can go to Scrivenshafts. We'll meet up in The Three Broomsticks for lunch," he said firmly.

The boys headed for the quidditch shop, while Hermione, Ginny, and Tonks meandered down the street looking in shop windows and giggling. Remus kept casting nervous looks over his shoulder at the girls, which Harry and Ron couldn't help but notice.

"Moony? Is there something going on that we should know about?" Harry asked, visions of dementors and death eaters flashing in his head.

"Hrmm? What?" Remus asked, still watching the girls who were disappearing into a nearby shop. As soon as they were gone, he pulled the boys across the street into a nearby store front.

"Moony, what is going on?" Harry demanded. Remus nervously ran his fingers through his graying hair.

"I... um... sort of need your help with something," Remus said.

"Ok," Ron said, exchanging a puzzled look with Harry. "What do you need help with?"

"Well you see," Remus said running his hand through his hair again. "I need your help picking out something for Tonks. Something very, very special." Harry frowned not sure why he needed their help, until he realized what shop they were standing in.

Muhahaha! I thought a nice cliffy was in order. Thanks go out as always to the wonderful Danielle, my moderator and my son Will, my beta. Many, many thanks as well to all of my faithful readers and reviewers. Next chapter... Christmas!
A Winter Wonderland by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.

"Does this mean what I think it does, Moony?" Harry asked, a smile lighting his face. His guardian's awkward blush was all the answer he needed.

"Does what mean what you think it does?" Ron asked, still puzzled. Harry shook his head.

"Hermione's right. You are thick. Look where we're standing, Ron," Harry said. Ron looked around, taking in the rings, necklaces, and other baubles glittering in the display window's cases. Comprehension dawned at last.

"Ohhh," Ron said. "Well what're we waiting for? Let's go." He ushered both Harry and Remus into the small shop. At the sound of the small, tinkling bell announcing their entrance, a tiny whirlwind of a witch bustled up to them.

"Good day, gentlemen. What can I help you with this beautiful winter's morning?" she said smiling.

"Hello, Madame Tiffany. How've you been?" Remus said. The tiny witch looked at him a moment with narrowed eyes, then gasped, and threw her arms around him, hugging him.

"Remus Lupin! Its about time you came back in here. When I think of the number of times you and your friends came in here... So very sad about poor James and Sirius. They were such nice boys. Of course, I never could bring myself to believe that Sirius would do what they said he did. I even refused to put those horrible wanted posters up in my store when he escaped. Oh, but listen to me go on. The ramblings of old age I'm afraid," she said smiling. "What brings you here today, Remus?"

"I.. um... need to purchase a ring, Madame," Remus said a trifle nervously. The witch beamed at him.

"A ring? A very special ring?" she asked. Remus blushed yet again, feeling once more like the almost painfully shy school boy she'd known. She laughed gaily. "I remember when you boys came in here with James for the very same reason. Come this way," she told him.

"This is where my dad bought Mum's ring?" Harry asked.

"Among other things. He dragged us in here every Hogsmede weekend to get something for Lily. Usually she threw it back in his face, until they actually started dating of course. Your dad was a nervous wreck when we came in for the ring, though," Remus said.

"Remus, this is James and Lily's son?" Madame Tiffany asked. At Lupin's nod, she clapped her hands in delight. "Oh my dear boy! I'd hoped you'd come in here some day. You look just like James, which I'm sure you've heard a thousand times. Remus, the rings are right there. We have a few that are very unique. I'll be right back."

The witch bustled into the back of the shop, while Harry and Ron watched with wide eyes. Remus chuckled at the looks on their faces.

"Believe it or not, she's slowed down some with age," he said drily as he began to study the rings in the case Madame Tiffany had indicated. Harry and Ron moved to stand on either side of him and peered down at them, as well. Harry quickly realized that the tiny witch was right. There were some truly amazing rings here.

"Well I know where to come when I'm ready to get Hermione a ring," Ron said without thinking. His face immediately took on a bright red hue, as soon as he realized what he had said. Harry grinned.

"Trying to tell us something, mate?" Harry asked, his eyes twinkling.

"Shut up, Harry. What about that one, Moony?" Ron asked, pointing to a gold band with a heartshaped pink diamond set into it. Harry had to admit, it was beautiful.

"It's nice, but..." Remus shrugged. "I'll know it when I see it."

"Not finding anything?" MadameTiffany asked, as she flitted back into the room.

"No, Madame. Tonks is a very, very unique and special woman. Her ring has to be just as unique and special," Remus said. Madame Tiffany paused a moment, as if thinking, then her eyes began to twinkle.

"I have just the thing!" she exclaimed and once more disappeared into the back of her shop. She returned moments later, handing Remus a box. He opened it and smiled.

"It's perfect," he said.

Harry and Ron leaned in for a look and couldn't help but agree. Nestled in a simple white gold band was a large fire opal. Shades of pink, red, yellow, and blue seemed to whirl and shift under the stone's surface making it appear to change colors at will. Harry had never seen anything like it and was certain that Tonks would love it.

While Remus paid, Harry and Ron wandered through the store trying to find gifts for Ginny and Hermione. After a brief search, Ron found a charm bracelet for Hermione, but Harry was having no luck finding something for Ginny.

"I'm sure she'll like whatever you get her, Harry,"Remus said.

"I know. I just want to find something that says how much she means to me," Harry replied. He was rather aimlessly browsing the various displays, when a glimmer from a case near the back of the store caught his eye. He walked over to the small display of necklaces and smiled. It was just what he wanted.

"Madam?" Harry called. She came over to assist him and he indicated his choice.

"Ahh... you have your father's excellent taste, I see," she said, lifting the necklace and holding it out to him. Suspended from a fine gold chain hung a crystalline sphere. Harry watched as tiny lights flickered and danced in it's depths, as if the light of a thousand stars were mirrored there. Harry reached out and touched it, feeling a curious sensation of warmth.

"I'll take it," he said decisively. Madame Tiffany beamed at him.

"I should have known," she said. "The witch I bought this from told me that this crystal was special. She insisted that it was a protective talisman and that it would find it's rightful owner. I thought it was a load of poppycock myself, but here it has sat for almost 17 years."

Harry and Ron paid for their purchases, and left the store, promising to come back again. Quick trips to Madame Malkins, Quality Quidditch Supplies, Scrivenshafts, and Honeydukes allowed the three to finish their shopping. Harry even picked up a pair of thick blue socks for Professor Dumbledore. They were just in time to meet the girls for lunch at The Three Broomsticks, after which they returned to the castle.

Remus and Tonks left them at the gates, while the foursome continued on to Gryffindor Tower. Much to Harry's delight, the rest of the day was spent in the common room talking and munching on chocolate frogs. Harry was lounging on the couch, with Ginny snuggled up in his arms, when Neville approached them with a frown upon his face.

"Harry, do you think I can get some help with this defense homework?" he said. Harry lazily opened one eye. He was not pleased with the interruption, as snuggling on the couch with Ginny had become his favorite pastime of late, surpassing even quidditch. Nevertheless, Neville didn't ask for help often, and he was one of Harry's closest friends.

"Is it something that can wait, Nev?"he asked. Neville shook his head, giving Harry a significant look. Harry frowned and nudged Ginny, who moved, allowing him to sit up. Bending down, Neville showed Harry a page in their defense book. A note had been scrawled there in Neville's untidy hand.

"Luna and I saw something today in Hogsmede. We need a meeting."

Harry's frown deepened, as he pretended to consider what was in the book.

"I think this is something I can demonstrate better than explain, Neville. Why don't we take this to the room of requirement?" Harry said. "You guys coming?"

Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, not really knowing what was happening, but sensing that something was afoot, rose and followed.

"What's going on?" Ron asked, as soon as they were out of the portrait hole.

"Not here," Harry said. He took out his coin and activated it. Using the Marauder's Map, which, after Malfoy's escape, Harry had begun to keep with him at all times, they stealthily made their way to the room of requirement. It wasn't past curfew yet, but Harry did not particularly want to answer any unnecessary questions. He waited until the entire group had arrived before sealing the door. Hermione then put a silencing charm on it.

"What's this all about, Harry?" Padma Patil asked. It was Neville who answered, however.

"I asked for the meeting. Luna and I saw something in Hogsmede. It may be nothing, but..." Neville shrugged.

"Go on, Neville," Harry encouraged.

"We were just coming out of Dervish and Banges when we saw a big group of Slytherins go by," Neville said.

"That's nothing unusual," Justin said. "They always move in packs like that."

"True, but what they said was unusual. They were talking about how they were late for their meeting. Luna and I sort of casually followed them. They went to a cave outside of town. We took down the names of everyone we recognized," Neville said handing Harry a piece of parchment.

"It wasn't just Slytherins either. There were Ravenclaws, a Hufflepuff, and a Gryffindor there also," Luna said, her voice much harder than it's usual dreamy tone. Padma Patil gasped.

"It was Pavarti wasn't it?" she asked. "She was supposed to meet Lavender and I for lunch and she didn't show up. She's not been acting herslef lately either. She's been forgetting things and has even skived off Divination." Padma bit her lip, her concern for her twin evident in her face.

"I'm sorry, Padma," Hermione said, putting an arm about the other girl. "We don't know how deep she's in or if she's even involved of her own free will. She could be under the imperius."

"Were you able to hear anything that was said?" Harry asked.

"Not much. We didn't want to get too close and get caught. Luna did think she heard them say something about the Hogwarts Express though," Neville said. Harry's eyes widened at the implications of that.

"You don't think they're going to attack the train do you, Harry?" Ginny asked.

"I don't know, Ginny. I definitely think that I need to get this infromation to the headmaster, though. Does anyone have anything else we need to know?" he asked. They all shook their heads.

"All right then. Everyone get back to your common rooms. I need to go get myself thrown in detention," Harry said grimly.

People left in twos and threes. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny left last, after trying to convince Harry to let them join him. Once they were gone, he went in search of the person most likely to give him detention, Professor Snape. Harry took the Marauder's Map from his pocket and quickly located the potions master near the astronomy tower. He swiftly headed in that direction, carefully watching Snape's dot on the map. Positioning himself around the corner from the corridor the professor was coming down, he began to enchant one of the statues there to insult anyone who happened by. He finished just in time.

"Go wash your hair, you big nosed git!" the statue of a beautiful witch shouted as Snape approached. Harry saw the potions master stiffen and turn, heading directly for the statue.

"Legilimens," Harry whispered, hoping this worked.

"Professor! Over here!" Harry projected, praying desperately that Snape picked up his thoughts. "I have information for Professor Dumbledore. Give me detention."

"Lumos!" Snape hissed, illuminating the corner where Harry hid. "Well, well, well, Potter. Caught in the act, I see. Enchanting valuable statues? Really, Potter. Even your father had more finesse than that. The headmaster will want to see you. Come along."

Snape grabbed Harry, propelling him firmly along to Dumbledore's office. Harry did his best to appear outraged, and even attempted to pull his arm out of Snape's grip when they passed a group of whispering Hufflepuffs.

"Fainting Fancies," Snape said, and the gargoyles leapt aside. He and Harry ascended the staircase and found Dumbledore seated behind his desk, as if he had been waiting on them.

"Ahhh... Severus... and Harry! What brings you here this evening?" he asked.

"Potter wished to speak with you, Headmaster," Snape said. "He seems to think he has something you should know."

Dumbledore turned his questioning gaze towards Harry, who quickly relayed Neville's information. When he finished, he handed the headmaster the list Neville and Luna had compiled. Dumbledore frowned, shaking his head sadly. Snape leaned over the professors shoulder to study the list, as well.

"Headmaster, I've noticed Ms. Patil has been... different recently. Her potion making has not been what it normally is and she spends less time talking with Ms. Brown. I suspect that she may not be acting of her own volition," Snape said.

"Padma seemed to think the same thing, sir," Harry offered.

"I shall alert the staff to keep a close eye on her," Dumbledore said. "We'll need to make other arrangements to return the students home for the holidays, as well. I should think that I can arrange for portkeys from Hogsmede with the Minister. Thank you, Harry. Thank Mr. Longbottom and Miss Lovegood, as well." Harry nodded and, sensing his dismissal, returned to Gryffindor Tower.

Harry tried not to dwell on the knowledge that Neville had provided as the final few days before Christmas passed. He suprised himself by how excited he was about the upcoming holiday. He was actually looking forward to returning to Grimmauld Place. When the morning before Christmas finally dawned, Harry was one of the first ones up. He immediately roused Ron so that they could finish their packing. Both boys then went down to the common room to meet Hermione and Ginny. Together, they made their way to Dumbledore's office, dragging their trunks behind them.

Unlike most of the students, who, thanks to the warning Neville and Luna were able to give, would be taking portkeys, Harry and the others would be flooing to Grimmauld Place. When they entered Dumbledore's office, Tonks and Remus were already there waiting on them.

"Wotcher all! You lot ready then?" Tonks asked cheerily. She wore her hair in a long braid of interwoven red and green today. In place of her usual Wierd Sisters t-shirt, she wore a white shirt emblazoned with a Christmas tree. The lights on it twinkled and a silver star winked at its top. Harry couldn't help but grin at Tonks' display of holiday spirit.

"I think we've got everything," he answered for the group. "Merlin knows Ginny's trunk is heavy enough." Ginny stuck her tongue out at him playfully. Tonks giggled.

"All right then, we'd better get going before poor Harry strains his back," she said, her eyes twinkling.

They each took turns entering the floo. Harry was the last of the foursome through. Stepping out of the fireplace at Grimmauld Place, he found himself wrapped immediately in Mrs. Weasley's motherly embrace.

"Oh Harry dear, welcome home," she told him.

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley. It's good to be home," he said, suprising himself. He could never recall this feeling of home associated with anyplace but Hogwarts. While he was pondering this new emotion, he was nearly knocked to the ground as something or, more specifically, someone hurtled themselves at his legs.

"Harry Potter, sir! You is home! Dobby has worked hard on Harry Potter's home. Dobby and Mrs. Weezy has made it cheerful for Christmas," the elf said enthusiastically. Looking down Harry couldn't help but chuckle. Dobby was wearing his very own Weasley sweater. It even had a letter "D" knitted onto its chest. On his feet he wore his usual mismatched socks, most incongruous of all, however, was the bright red Christmas ornament he had affixed to the stack of hats piled precariously upon his head. Harry smiled down at him.

"Happy Christmas, Dobby. Are you enjoying your stay here?" he asked the elf.

"Oh yes, Harry Potter. Dobby loves it here. Mrs. Weezy is knitting Dobby his very own sweater, and Dobby has a family to care for again. Dobby never wants to leave," Dobby replied.

"Wouldn't you miss Hogwarts though?" Harry asked.

"There is lots and lots of elves at Hogwarts, Harry Potter. Dobby misses having his own family," the elf admitted. Harry stared at Dobby for a moment considering. He had felt, for quite a while, that he had been imposing on Mrs. Weasley, asking her to care for Grimmauld Place. This could solve everyone's problems.

"Dobby, would you like to stay here and work for me like you do for Professor Dumbledore?" he asked. Dobby hurtled himself at Harry's legs once more, clearly delighted at the idea.

"Oh Harry Potter sir! Dobby would be so happy," Dobby squeaked. Harry smiled.

"I'll talk to Professor Dumbledore tomorrow. You'll have to accept pay though, Dobby, just like at Hogwarts," Harry said. Dobby nodded, his ears flopping.

"Children, why don't you take your things to your rooms while Dobby and I get lunch started. The rest of the family should be here any minute," Mrs. Weasley said. The four obediently did as Mrs. Weasley said.

"Couldn't have gotten Dobby to do this could you, mate?" Ron huffed as he dragged Hermione's trunk up the stairs.

"Ronald! Dobby shouldn't have to haul our luggage around," Hermione said indignantly, flouncing past them. Ron and Harry exchanged grins. Ron loved igniting Hermione's temper almost as much as he loved Hermione. As soon as the trunks were stowed safely in the appropriate rooms, they returned to the kitchen.

They entered to find it filled with people. Bill, Fleur, Percy, and Penelope were sitting at one end of the table talking with Tonks, who was happily sitting in Remus' lap. Charlie, the twins, and 'Dung were in the corner sharing a story, which, judging by their snickers, Mrs. Weasley would not have approved of. Mr. Weasley, Moody, and Kingsely were having a serious discussion about who would win the next quidditch cup, which Ron eagerly joined. Ginny and Hermione went to assist Mrs. Weasley and Dobby who were piling dish after dish upon the already laden table.

Harry looked around the room, so filled with life and love, and couldn't help but wish Sirius could have been there. A part of Harry wanted to retreat then, to go to his room and hide, but as he turned to go, he was stopped by the memory of Sirius. He could see his godfather last Christmas laughing and singing at the top of his lungs. Sirius would've loved this. He would have been right in the thick of the merrymaking, and he'd have wanted Harry there with him. Harry took a deep breath, blinked back his tears, and went to sit next to Remus and Tonks.

"All right you lot, eat up," Mrs. Weasley said. "We have a lot to do if we're to make this a proper Weasley Christmas."

"Aww Mum, you're not going to pull out all of those ornaments we made when we were kids, are you?" Bill asked warily.

"Well of course I am, dear. It wouldn't be Christmas without them. I had Dobby pop over to the Burrow yesterday and get them," she said, beaming. Bill groaned, Ginny giggled, and the twins exchanged mischievious looks.

"I'm missing something aren't I?" Harry whispered to Ginny. She smiled, nodding.

"Bill's not exactly umm... artistic," she said. "All of his ornaments are quite unique." Harry grinned, noticing that Ron was also looking rather alarmed.

"What about Ron's?" he asked. Ginny's eyes twinkled with barely contained mirth.

"Orange. Ron has a definite fondness for orange," she giggled, then turned to her mother. "Mum, I think we should make new ones for this year. After all, Harry, Hermione, Penelope, and Fleur should all have one. Remus and Tonks too."

"I've already thought of that Ginny, dear," Mrs. Weasley replied. "Dobby is getting everything set up for after lunch." Ron, Bill, and Charlie immediately began to protest.

"Mum, I really think that I'm too old for this," Bill said.

"Errr... shouldn't one of us be patrolling or something?" Charlie said.

"Homework! I've got loads of homework. Right Hermione?" Ron said hopefully.

"No, Ronald. You don't, besides, its a very nice tradition," she responded. Fleur, meanwhile, was pouting prettily at Bill.

"But Bill, tradition iz very important. Don't you want to share your family's customs wiz me?" she said, looking up at him with luminous eyes. Bill sighed.

"OK Mum. I'm in," he said, looking less then pleased. Fleur beamed at him. Charlie put his hands behind his head, grinning.

"And that, brothers dear, is why this Weasley is still firmly unattached," Charlie smirked. Mrs. Weasley snorted.

"Yes, well, it wouldn't kill you to find a nice girl and settle down Charlie Weasley! Out galivanting after dragons of all things! One thing! One thing I ask of you, at Christmas..." she said rising and putting her hands on her hips.

"You win, Mum. I'll make an ornament," Charlie said, putting his hands up in surrender before she really got going. Mrs. Weasley smiled at him.

"I knew you would, dear," she told him.

As soon as lunch was over, they retreated to the drawing room. Garlands of evergreen swathed the ceiling, tied with bright red ribbons. A huge tree stood in the center of the room, waiting to be decorated. Boxes of ornaments were stacked on the floor, each labeled with the name of a different Weasley. A large table had been set up near the tree. It was covered with pots of paint, bottles of glitter and glue, brightly colored bits of paper, ribbon, and cloth, as well as a small box full of glass balls.

"C'mon Harry," Ginny said, leading him over to the table.

The rest of the afternoon passed with a great deal of laughter and merriment. Harry soon found out that Ginny's assesment had been right. Bill was definitely not artistic. Fleur didn't seem to mind, however. Harry had to stifle a laugh when Ron immediately reached for the orange paint. He was not sure what exactly his best friend was painting, but it was very, very orange. Harry had been unable to resist teasing Ginny when he discovered that the majority of her ornaments seemed to feature angels, with messy black hair and bright green eyes. The twins, as usual, outdid themselves by making ornaments depicting everyone in the rather extended family group. Like the paintings at Hogwarts, each ornament held a little bit of their subject's personality. Much to Harry's amusement, the Ron and Hermione ornaments had to be separated when they wouldn't stop arguing with each other.

After all of the ornaments were made, they were carefully hung on the tree, along with those of years past. Ron, Ginny, Hermione, and Harry were then set to work making garlands of popcorn and berries. Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fleur, and Penelope, meanwhile, enchanted sparkling faerie lights to twinkle amongst the tree's branches. The twins, after holding a supsiciously long whispered conversation, tossed a small white ball up in the air. It promptly exploded, causing snow to gently fall from the drawing room's ceiling.

"Boys! Do you have any idea of the mess that is going to make? It will melt all over the carpet," Mrs. Weasley exclaimed, her eyes flashing. The twins beamed angelically at her.

"Not to worry, Mum," Fred said.

"It won't make any mess at all," George told her.

"Disappears altogether about fifteen minutes after it's fallen," Fred said.

"It's our newest product... Weasley's Winter Wonderland," George added. Mr. Weasley laughed in delight.

"Brilliant boys. It's sure to be a best seller, " he told them.

As the afternoon melted into evening, Order members filtered in and out, dropping off gifts and wishing everyone a happy Christmas. Dobby brought in sandwiches and several different types of biscuits for everyone, as well as steaming mugs of chocolate, much to Remus' delight. Harry took a bit of good natured teasing from the Weasley brothers when Ginny, out of habit, snuggled up to him on the couch. He didn't mind it at all, however, and, rather bravely, informed them that they should get used to it.

Before he knew it, Mrs. Weasley was ushering them up to bed. He and Ron walked Ginny and Hermione up to their room. Smiling down at Ginny, he gave her a gentle kiss and wished her goodnight. He then had to drag a very reluctant Ron away from Hermione and up to their room.

The two boys quickly readied themselves for bed. Ron was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. Harry, on the other hand, found himself unaccountably restless. He tossed and turned as he thought about how much his life had changed since his last Christmas. He still missed Sirius everyday, but he was happy with his life. Ginny meant more to him then he had ever thought possible, and he'd found some sense of family with Remus and Tonks. There was the prophecy to worry about, of course, but he refused to dwell on it tonight.

Finally deciding that sleep was futile, Harry rose and quietly exited the room. He tiptoed through the sleeping house and into the kitchen. Rumaging through the cabinets, he located some of the biscuits from earlier. Snatching a handful and pouring himself a cold glass of milk, he decided to take his midnight snack into the drawing room. He loved the tree set up there and thought it was even more beautiful than the ones at Hogwarts. When he got to the door, however, he was stopped by a low murmur of voices from within. Silently, he opened the door a crack and peered in. Remus and Tonks sat on one of the couches watching the enchanted snow fall and talking quietly.

"Are you sure you don't mind going out for a little while tomorrow to see my mum and dad?" Tonks asked.

"Of course not, love. I've known Andromeda and Ted forever. They're good people. I was wondering though, what would you think of bringing Harry with us? I think he'd like to meet your Mum," Remus replied. Tonks grinned.

"Shame on you, using Harry as a distraction," she teased him. "Seriously though, I think Mum would like that. She thought the world of James and Merlin knows she never gave up on Sirius. She fought tooth and nail for him when he was in Azkaban. It broke her heart when he died. She knows how close Harry and Sirius were. It will probably help them both." Remus nodded, his eyes distant. Tonks sighed.

"You miss him still don't you?" she softly queried. Remus gave her a sad smile.

"Yes, I miss them all. I probably always will. When James and Lily died..." Remus paused and his eyes filled with pain. "When they died, I thought I had lost everyone I had ever cared about, everyone who had ever cared about me. James, Lily, Peter, Sirius, and Harry... I'd lost them all in one fell swoop. It was the darkest time in my life. I shut myself off completely, moving around aimlessly doing whatever odd jobs I could get. When Dumbledore offered me the Defense job, it was a second chance for me. I got to know Harry and found out the truth about Sirius and Peter. It was like the morning after a twelve year long full moon. There was still pain, but I knew everythig was going to be all right again."

"Oh Remus," Tonks said, gently reaching out and touching the side of his face. "That must have been so hard for you." Remus gave her a lopsided smile, covering her hand with his own and nuzzling into it.

"I survived it. I got my best friend back, and Harry," he said.

"And then you lost Sirius again," Tonks murmured.

"And then I lost Sirius again, but not before I found you," Remus said. " You literally stumbled back into my life so full of light and laughter. After having gone through so much darkness, I was fascinated by you. I fought it. I used every argument I could think of. I was entirely too old for you, a poor outcast werewolf. I was set in my ways and had nothing to offer someone so young and so beautiful. I'd changed your nappies for Merlins' sake. Padfoot though, knew that I'd fallen for you and he wouldn't let me off the hook so easily. He found excuse after excuse to throw us together."

"That sneak!" Tonks exclaimed. "I'd wondered why he kept volunteering us for things together. Not that I was complaining. I fell in love with you when I was five years old and you gave me a chocolate frog," she grinned unrepentently. Remus chuckled softly.

"I thank him everyday for helping me to get you Nymphadora. When Padfoot died and Harry shut himself off the way he did, I don't think I could have made it through again without you. You became my strength. You were what kept me living, and gave me what I needed to reach, Harry." Remus rose then, and knelt before Tonks. Reaching into a pocket of his robes, he pulled out a small box.

"It's not a chocolate frog,but..." he said, opening it up and revealing the beautiful ring inside. Tonks gasped and her hands flew to her mouth, as her eyes filled with tears. "Nymphadora Tonks, I love you, from the tips of those tripping toes to the top of that bubblegum pink hair. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

Struck completely speechless, Tonks could only nod before throwing herself at Remus and kissing him. Smiling, Remus pulled away.

"Is that a yes?" he asked. Tonks giggled.

"Absolutely, Moony-mine. Yes, yes, yes! You're stuck with me now," she declared, pulling him back to her and kissing him once more.

Silently closing the door behind him, a widely grinning Harry returned to the kitchen to finish his milk and biscuits. The drawing room was obviously going to be occupied for a while.


A/N: Yay! Another chapter down. I hope you enjoyed it. Many, many thanks go out to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of my wonderful, wonderful readers for your reviews. I'll have the next chappie up ASAP. It is the long awaited animagus chapter at last.
What's in a Name? by Weasley Mom



All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



"Come on, Harry! Presents! Up and at 'em!" Ron hollered, ripping the blankets off Harry, who groaned and rolled over onto his stomach.

"How is it that everyday but Christmas you'll sleep until noon, but on Christmas you're up and cheerful at the bloody crack of dawn?" Harry groggily asked. Ron grinned.

"Presents are a powerful motivator, mate," he said. Harry chuckled.

"Good point. Let's go wake the girls," Harry said, rising and throwing on his robe.

"You're joking right? Ginny's probably been downstairs for half an hour. She enjoys Christmas even more than I do," Ron said. "Now hurry up. I want to get downstairs before Fred and George do something to our presents."

The boys thundered down the stairs and into the drawing room. As it turned out, Ron was correct. Ginny and a very sleepy looking Hermione were sitting on one of the sofas. Ginny smiled and scooted over making room for the boys between them.

"Happy Christmas, Harry," she said smiling.

"Happy Christmas to you too, love. So why aren't you two opening your presents yet?" Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Weasley tradition," she said.

"Mum won't let us start opening them until everyone is up," Ron elaborated. "So who are we still waiting on?"

"Bill, Fleur, Remus and Tonks," Hermione answered, stifling a yawn.

"So where is everyone else then?" Harry asked puzzled.

"Percy, Penelope, Mum and Dad are in the kitchen. Charlie and the twins went to wake Bill and Fleur," Ginny replied. Just then an outraged squeal sounded fom upstairs, Ginny giggled.

"I'd say they're up," Ron laughed.

"Sounds like it," Harry agreed.

"Do you think one of us should go wake up Remus and Tonks before the twins decide to?" Hermione asked.

A series of loud thumps followed by the sudden apparation of a slightly shocked looking Fred and George into the room, forestalled the need to answer. A grinning Remus and Tonks strolled in a short time later, hand in hand.

"Never ever think you can get the jump on a Marauder boys,"Remus said.

"Happy Christmas Remus, Tonks," Harry said smiling.

"Happy Christmas, Harry," Remus replied.

"It's certainly been a great one for me so far," Tonks said flashing her ring. Hermione and Ginny squealed and went over to her , hugging her enthusiastically. At the sound, the rest of the family rushed into the room. Once Mrs. Weasley, Fleur, and Penelope realized the cause of the younger girls' excitement, they too joined in, and an excited feminine chatter quickly filled the air.

"That's a bit scary, that is," Ron said from where he and Harry watched on the couch. Harry grinned at his friend.

"You better be glad Hermione didn't hear you say that," he said.

"Like I'd say that in front of her. I may be thick, but even I'm not that thick," Ron chuckled. Dobby appeared then, with steaming mugs of chocolate for everyone.

"Congratulations Remus and Tonks," Mr. Weasley said, raising his cup. "Marriage is a wonderful thing for a man."

"Thank you, Arthur," Remus said. "I only hope our marriage will be as good as yours and Molly's has been."

"Can we open presents now?" Ron said hopefully.

"Ronald!" Hermione and Mrs. Weasley chorused in exasperation. Harry rolled his eyes at his friend. As mature as they got, in some ways, Ron would never change.

As the youngest Weasley, it was traditionally Ginny's job to hand out the presents. Once the enormous pile of gifts had been sorted through and passed out, the opening began in a frenzy of ripped paper, scattered ribbons, and choruses of thank yous. Harry smiled as he watched his friends' and family's delight at the gifts which had been given to them.

Mrs. Weasley was thrilled with the new self kntting needles that Harry had given her, while Mr. Weasley was excitedly skimming through the do-it-yourself books Harry had purchased for him. The books had seemed the perfect gift, as they gave thorough instructions on rewiring various muggle appliances. Harry smiled as he saw Ron blush bright crimson at Hermione's rather enthusiastic thank you for the charm bracelet he had given her. He'd had to bite his lip to stop the laughter when Remus winked at him after donning the sweater his new fiancee had made. His guardian had very gentlemanly ignored the fact that one sleeve was about two inches shorter than the other, and proclaimed it a perfect fit.

"Oh Harry! It's beautiful," Ginny said, throwing herself at him after opening her present. "Put it on me?"

"I'm glad you like it. Madame Tiffany said it was a protective talisman," he told her as he fastened the clasp. As the star-filled orb touched Ginny's skin, it glowed briefly then returned back to normal. Ginny looked at the crystal in amazement.

"I can feel it protecting me. It's like... being wrapped in a cozy blanket," she said. Hermione came over for a closer look and gasped.

"Wherever did you get it, Harry? True protective talismans are rare because it requires really strong magic to make one. They suposedly protect the wearer from all but the very strongest of curses, " she said in the awed tone of voice she normally reserved for books. Harry explained how he'd found it in Madame Tiffany's shop and how it had been there for almost seventeen years.

"I think we should tell Dumbledore about this," Hermione said worriedly. Ron rolled his eyes.

"And I think Harry should open his presents. Go on, mate. You haven't even opened one yet," Ron urged. Harry grinned and began to tear into his presents.

As usual, he'd gotten the traditional Weasley sweater. This one was black with a phoenix stiched into the chest. Ron had provided him with his favorite chocolate frogs, and Hermione had, of course, given him a book on ancient magic. Bill had given him a new wallet. It had several secret compartments in it for Harry to hide money. Charlie had given both he and Ron very dangerous looking pocket knives with engraved dragon fang handles. From the ever practical Percy, he, Ron, and Hermione had gotten The Official Ministry Approved Guide to Apparition. The twins had supplied him with all of the newest products in their Marauders line. His favorite one was Snivelling Snaps which emitted a loud crying sound when they exploded.

"Wicked!" he exclaimed upon opening Remus and Tonks' gift to him. It was a set of black dragon skin clothing, complete with pants, vest, boots, duster coat, and gloves. Privately, Harry wasn't sure how he'd look in it, but he liked them nevertheless.

"I picked them out," Tonks said.

"We thought those might come in handy when you're on the motorbike. Sirius used to have a very similar set," Remus told him.

"Thanks Remus. Thanks Tonks," Harry said, shyly giving them both a hug.

"Here, Harry. I guess mine is last," Ginny said, nervously biting her lip. "I made it myself." She handed Harry a long flat package. Smiling at her, he ripped the paper away and gasped. There, in a simple wooden frame, was a charcoal drawing of Harry surrounded by his Mum, Dad, Sirius, and Remus.

"Ginny, it's..." Harry said, finding himself too choked up to speak. She'd given him the one thing he never thought he'd have... a picture with his family as it should have been.

"I borrowed one of your photos of your Mum and Dad so I could get them right," she said softly.

"Thank you, Ginny. It's perfect, absolutely perfect," he said, kissing her gently.

"Enough of that, Potter. It's too early for you to be snogging my sister," Charlie called from across the room.

"Yeah, we'd rather not have to hex you on Christmas," Bill added.

"You'd better not even think about it, Bill Weasley," Ginny threatened.

"All right you lot, leave Harry and Ginny be," Mrs. Weasley ordered.

"But Mum, it's our duty, as Ginny's older brothers, to make sure that she is treated properly," Fred said.

"We've actually gone rather easy on Harry because we like him, unlike Ginny's previous boyfriends. Remember that rash we gave Corner?" George chortled. Both Ginny and Mrs. Weasley visibly puffed up in anger, while Harry silently thanked his lucky stars that they liked him.

"You what!" Mrs. Weasley screeched.

"Now Mum," George said, backing up slightly. Fortunately for the twins, the fireplace flared and Professor Dumbledore stepped out.

"Happy Christmas, Professor!" the twins chorused. Dumbledore smiled at them with his eyes twinkling, as if he knew exactly how timely his entrance had been.

"Happy Christmas to you as well boys. I trust everyone has enjoyed their holidays thus far?" he said.

"Yes, Albus. It has been wonderful having everyone together this year. You're just in time for breakfast. Won't you stay?" Mrs. Weasley asked. Dumbledore smiled, but shook his head.

"Thank you Molly, but no. I've already breakfasted at the castle. I actually just popped in for a moment to wish everyone merry and to have a word with Harry, Remus, and Nymphadora, if I might," Dumbledore said kindly.

"Of course, Albus," Mrs. Weasley said. She began to usher the rest of her brood into the kitchen, like the mother hen that she was. Dumbledore waited until everyone was gone, then turned to Harry.

"Firstly Mr. Potter, I wish to thank you for the most excellent gift," the headmaster beamed, lifting the hem of his robes to display the thick blue socks Harry had given him. "They keep my feet quite cozy."

"You're very welcome, sir. I'm glad you like them," Harry said.

"Secondly, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that all of the Hogwarts's students made it safely home for the holidays via portkey. I shudder to think what might have happened without the information you, Mr. Longbottom, and Miss Lovegood provided," Dumbledore said, smiling.

"It was really all Neville and Luna, but I'm very glad that everything went well," Harry replied.

"Now then, Remus and Nymphadora, I received your owl this morning. I could not be more pleased for the both of you. As such, I have a gift for you," he said. His eyes twinkling as he handed an official looking scroll to the two of them. Remus opened it with a frown and immediately began shaking his head.

"Albus, we can't possibly accept this," Remus said. Dumbledore, however, put up a hand, silencing him.

"Dear boy, the Shrieking Shack has always been yours, whether your name was on the deed or not. I do have to admit, however, to ulterior motives in this. I will feel much safer if I know that the secret passage there is secure. With Pettigrew on the loose, I intend to take measures to insure the safety of all of the castle's passages. I also believe that it is a comfort to young Mr. Potter to have you both close at hand." Harry nodded his emphatic agreement. Remus looked down at Tonks who smiled reassuringly at him.

"Thank you, Albus," he said at last, shaking the headmaster's hand.

"You are most welcome... both of you. As to your request regarding Harry, I have arranged a portkey which is set to activate in approximately one hour," Dumbledore said, handing Remus a candycane. "I do ask that if you sense any trouble you return immediately."

"Thank you again, Professor," Tonks said. "I think this will be good for both of them." Dumbledore nodded his acknowledgement.

"No problem at all Nymphadora, and I quite agree. Well, I've kept you from your breakfast quite long enough, and I promised Professor McGonnagall a game of chess. I believe it's my turn to win," the professor said merrily.

"Professor," Harry said, suddenly remembering his promise to Dobby. "Can I ask you a favor, sir?"

"Yes, of course Harry. What is it?" Dumbledore said, frowning. Harry so infrequently made requests of anyone, the headmaster was, understandably, concerned.

"It's Dobby, sir. He seems to be really happy here, and, well, I sort of feel like I've been imposing on Mrs. Weasley with all of the cleaning and things. I was wondering, if you don't mind that is, if it would be all right for me to hire Dobby to work for me and take care of Grimmauld Place," Harry said nervously. Dumbledore, relieved at Harry's simple request, smiled.

"I think that's an excellent idea, Harry. It would, however, be entirely up to Dobby himself. He is a free elf, after all," he said. Harry nodded.

"Thank you, Professor," Harry said. Dumbledore patted him gently on the shoulder, then strode to the fireplace.

"I shall see you all in a few days. Enjoy the rest of your holidays," he said. Grabbing a handful of floo powder, he tossed it into the fire and returned to the school.

"So what's all that about the portkey?" Harry asked, remembering to not give away that he had overheard Remus and Tonks the night before.

"We're going to Tonks' parents' house today. We thought you might like to come with us and meet Andromeda," Remus told him.

"I'd love to come, if you're sure your parents won't mind Tonks," Harry said.

"Mum and Sirius were very close. She's been wanting to meet you for a long time, Harry. Trust me, she'll be thrilled. As for Dad, if Mum is happy, then my Dad is," Tonks said. "We'd better get a move on though, or we're going to show up in our pyjamas."

"See... she's bossing me around all ready. She'll make the perfect wife," Remus said, winking at Harry. Tonks glared threateningly at the unrepentantly grinning pair.

"Too right I am. You'd both be lost without me, and you know it. Now get a move on," she said. With that, she grabbed Remus with one hand and Harry with the other and dragged them both towards the kitchen for a quick breakfast.

Almost an hour later, Harry, dressed in his new Weasley sweater, waited nervously with Remus and Tonks for the portkey to activate. Remus had dressed with obvious care, wearing one of the new robes he'd purchased during the summer. It was a deep midnight blue and Harry thought his guardian looked very nice in it. Tonks was looking quite pretty, as well. Her hair was a wavy honey blonde and her eyes silvery gray. Foregoing her usual ripped jeans and Wierd Sisters t-shirt, she instead wore robes of simple black. Remus looked at his watch.

"Here we go. Three... two... one," he said.

The portkey activated, and Harry felt the familiar jerk behind his navel. He landed unsteadily in a somewhat untidy living room. Looking around, he couldn't help but be reminded of the Burrow. While the furnishings were obviously more expensive than those in the Weasley household, the place had the same homey, lived in feel.

"Mum? Dad? We're here!" Tonks called. A loud crash from behind a nearby door had Tonks laughing. "That'll be Dad."

"Ted! Honestly, that's the third plate you've broken this week," said an exasperated voice. "Scourgify!"

"And that would be Mum," she grinned. Beckoning them to follow her, she pushed open the door and they entered a warm, cozy looking kitchen.

"Happy Christmas, Mum and Dad!" Tonks cried, throwing her arms arouns a robust, if somewhat scruffy looking, man with thick sandy hair and warm brown eyes. Harry assumed this to be Ted Tonks, Tonks' father.

"Happy Christmas, poppet," Ted said, returning her hug before extending a hand to Remus. "Wotcher, Remus!"

"Nymphadora, dear!" Andromeda said warmly, hugging her daughter. "And Moony, it has been entirely too long."

"Yes, it certainly has Andromeda. Happy Christmas to you both," Remus said.

"Who is this now?" Ted asked, eyeing Harry.

"I'm Harry, sir. Harry Potter," Harry said quietly, his eyes locked helplessly on Andromeda. He'd have known exactly who she was even without the introduction, for she looked exactly like Sirius, though obviously more feminine. Her long, dark hair fell carelessly into her eyes, in the same way that Sirius' had. Her eyes were the same silvery gray. Her smile, when she'd greeted Tonks had the same mischievious tilt. He felt Remus put a steadying hand on his shoulder as he saw Andromeda put a trembling hand to her mouth.

"Sirius said that you looked exactly like James, but I..." she shook her head to clear it. "I'm Andromeda Tonks, dear. Sirius is... was my cousin."

"I know, ma'am. Sirius told me about you. He said you were his favorite cousin," Harry said. Andromeda laughed, a deep rich sound.

"Well I should hope so. I mean, look at the competition," she said, grinning. Having met Sirius' other cousins, Harry could not help but agree.

"Could we please not bring up those hags today. Just the thought of them gives me indegestion," Ted said with a mock shiver.

"I agree, Dad. Besides, we have more important things to discuss," Tonks said, holding out her left hand and wiggling her fingers to show off her ring. With a squeal much like Ginny and Hermione had issued at Grimmauld Place, Andromeda grabbed her daughter and wrapped her in another hug. Ted, in the meantime, had thumped Remus on the back and given him a firm handshake. Harry, feeling somewhat left out in this family moment, backed quietly out of the kitchen.

Not really sure what to do with himself, Harry idly wandered the living room, stopping to examine some pictures which sat on a shelf. Most were of Tonks in various stages of growing up, but there were three that tore at Harry's heart. All were of Sirius. The first one was of a teenaged Andromeda, her hands resting protectively on Sirius' shoulders. He looked to be about nine years old, and was looking into the camera with a sort of defiant mischieviousness. The second one was a picture of a teenaged Remus, Sirius, and James. They were wearing their school robes. Sirius was standing in the middle and had his arms around the other two, sneakily giving them bunny ears as he winked at the camera. Harry chuckled as his dad playfully punched Sirius when he noticed, while Remus merely rolled his eyes tolerantly. The last picture was of Sirius on his motorbike. The wind was blowing through his long dark hair and he looked so alive and free. Harry reached out and gently touched the picture, tears filling his eyes.

"That one is my favorite too," said a quiet voice behind him. Harry whirled to see a solemn Andromeda watching him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snoop. I just..." Harry began. Andromeda waved him off, smiling gently.

"It's perfectly all right, Harry. Believe me, if anyone understands what you're feeling, it's me. Sirius was..." she sighed. "Come, sit." She sat on the couch, indicating that Harry should do the same. She looked at him quietly for a moment before speaking.

"What do you know about Sirius' childhood?" she asked.

"Not much," Harry admitted. "He didn't like to talk about it. He mostly told me about school and things he did with my dad."

"That doesn't suprise me. He and James had a very special bond. They'd have willingly died for each other. Remus too," she sighed. "So he told you nothing about his childhood, about growing up in Grimmauld Place?"

"Just that it was fairly horrid," he said. Andromeda chuckled mirthlessly.

"That's a bit of an understatement," she said. "My sisters and I moved in with Aunt Helena and Uncle Orion when Sirius was just a baby. Our parents had died and, as we were constantly reminded, it was damn good of them to take us in. I was nine at the time." Harry gave an involuntary start as her words so uncannily echoed the words he'd grown up his whole life hearing.

"Aunt Helena," she said, with a far away look on her face," was never exactly maternal, and Uncle Orion could be downright cruel. So there was poor baby Sirius, in this great, cold vault of a house left to the care of that nasty little house elf of Auntie's. I loved him from the second I saw him. He was, in so many ways, my baby. I did the best I could to make sure he knew that someone loved him. I tried to teach him what was right rather than that pureblood nonsense his parents spouted."

"I'm sorry," Harry said, stricken. "It's my fault. It's my fault that he is dead."

"Oh Harry," Andromeda said, hugging him. "Nymphadora told me the whole story. You are not responsible for what happened. Sirius hated that place. It was only a matter of time before he bolted from it. He loved you, you know. Sirius would do anything to protect those he loved. He used to take responsibilty for things Regulus had done to keep him from being punished. I healed him from beating after beating for that. When Uncle Orion kicked me out for seeing Ted, Sirius stepped between us to protect me from a cruciatus. He was ten years old. He would not have been himself if he hadn't come to save you. That's who he was, Harry. A hero from birth."

"Thank you," Harry said softly, feeling so close to this woman who had shaped the person that Sirius had been. She smiled, Sirius' smile.

"No, Harry. Thank you. You made Sirius so happy after he escaped from that place. He was so proud of you. He'd send me pages and pages of letters about things that you'd done. When he talked abut you, the shadows left his eyes and he became my baby again," she said, tears running down her cheeks. Impulsively, Harry hugged her. She froze, startled for a moment, then she too returned the hug, laughing wetly.

"Just look at us. Sirius is probably laughing his arse off at our blubbering and sharing a bottle of firewhiskey with your Dad to toast Moony and Nymphadora's engagement. C'mon now, let's get back in the kitchen. This should be a day of celebration," she said. Rising she pulled Harry to his feet. They both carefully wiped their tears, and rejoined the others.

The next few hours were spent discussing wedding plans, reminiscing about Tonks' childhood, and browsing through old photo albums. Harry quickly discovered that, while Tonks got most of her rather quirky personality traits from her Dad, her mischieveious sense of humor was all Andromeda. They were looking through pictures of Sirius' Hogwarts days when Andromeda grinned evilly and plucked a photo from the book to show Harry and Tonks before a blushing Remus could stop her.

"Oh come on, Andromeda. Do you have to show them that one?" Remus said mortified.

"She does now," Harry grinned, leaning in for a closer look. Harry and Tonks burst into laughter. There, in moving black and white, were all four of the original Marauders. They were dressed in girls' school uniforms, complete with make-up and long wigs which appeared to match their real hair color. The photo Remus and Peter looked rather embarrassed. The photo James and Sirius, on the other hand, were grinning and blowing kisses at the camera.

"Something you need to tell us, love?" Tonks asked, her eyes dancing with laughter.

"It was a bet with Lily. We lost," he muttered, disgruntled.

"Tell them what the bet was, Moony," Andromeda ordered.

"Oh come on, Andromeda. The picture isn't bad enough?" Remus complained.

"Come on, Moony. It wouldn't do to displease your future mum in law," Harry grinned. Remus rolled his eyes, sighing.

"Chocolate... Sirius bet your Mum that I could go longer without chocolate than she could. We both were notorius for our sweet tooths. I lost, but it was James' fault. I swear he sabotaged me to get on Lily's good side. He left an entire box of chocolate frogs sitting on my bed," Remus said. Harry and Tonks burst into helpless laughter. Remus had been pressing chocolate on Harry as the cure for all evil for as long as he'd known him.

Well before Harry was ready to go, Remus announced that it was time for them to leave if they were going to make it back for lunch, as they had promised to. Andromeda and Ted hugged them all. Harry found himself having a difficult time saying good-bye to this new found link to Sirius.

"Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Tonks," Harry said. "I've had a great time." Andromeda put a gentle hand to the side of his face, smiling although tears sparkled in her eyes.

"It's Ted and Andromeda dear, and it's been our pleasure. Come back when you can. We'll talk some more," she said, hugging him once again. As she stepped back, Harry reached out, putting a hand on the portkey Remus extended, and returned to Grimmauld Place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much later that night, Harry stealthily made his way through the halls of Grimmauld Place, wrapped securely in his invisibility cloak. Pausing before one of the doors which lined the second floor corridor, he listened to make sure the room's occupants were asleep before opening it and tiptoeing inside. He carefully made his way to the bed, blushing as he saw the expanse of bare shoulder which peeped out of the blankets as Tonks lay sprawled across Remus' chest. Harry reached out a hand and gently prodded his guardian's shoulder.

"Moony," he whispered. "Moony, wake up."

Remus' eyes slowly opened and he looked around, disoriented. A frown formed on his face.

"Moony," Harry said again.

"Harry?" Remus said. "What is it? What's wrong? Where are you?"

"I'm wearing the invisibility cloak. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to talk to you. Not here though. We'll wake up Tonks."

"All right. I'll...umm.. need a second though. Meet me outside the door," Remus said.

"Ok, but hurry," Harry said, exiting the room. Remus appeared a moment later. He'd thrown on one of his familiar, shabby robes and was frowning.

"What's all this about Harry?" he asked.

"Shhh," Harry whispered, rearranging the invisibility cloak so it covered them both. He quickly led Remus through the sleeping house and into his room. Once inside, Harry removed the invisibility cloak.

"Come on Moony, in here. I'll explain everything," Harry said, opening the door to his room of requirement and practically pushed a confused Remus inside. They stepped in and found themselves in what appeared to be a small, moonlit forest glade. Harry stepped over to the waiting Ron, Hermione, and Ginny and grinned.

"Colloportus! Silencio!" Harry said, casting charms upon the room to ensure their privacy. They had checked earlier to make sure that no underage magic would be detected here, as well. Remus crossed his arms across his chest and gave them a look so stern that it could've given Professor McGonnagall a run for her money.

"Harry James Potter, I've seen that look on your father's face enough times to know that it means trouble for me. I have been dragged out of a very warm bed in the middle of the night, and been very patient. Now what is going on?" he demanded.

"Well," Harry said, taking a deep breath, "since last summer, when you, Sirius, and Dad made Ron and I Marauders, we've taken our duty very seriously. We even recruited two new members." He paused, smiling at Ginny and Hermione.

"Go on," Remus said, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"There is one thing, however, that my Dad and Sirius, achieved that we hadn't, until now," Harry said. Moony's eyes widened in comprehension.

"You didn't. Please tell me that you didn't. Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?" Remus said. It was the closest Harry had heard him come to shouting since he'd discoverd Harry with the Marauders Map in third year.

"Remus, we couldn't let you be alone anymore. Every full moon we stand and we listen to your pain, and we watch how, even with the wolfsbane, you look so lost as you go to transform alone. We couldn't let you do that anymore," Harry said.

"I never thought," Remus began, his voice unsteady. "I never believed that I would be so lucky to have this happen once in my life, let alone twice. Still Harry, all of you, there are a thousand things which could've gone wrong."

"We were very careful," Ginny said.

"We found this book," Hermione said, holding it up.

"It was dead helpful," Ron added. Despite himself, Remus began to laugh.

"I should've known. I suppose you found it in the library here?" he said.

"Yes," Harry said. "It was in the books Sirius left Hermione." Remus laughed again.

"That sneaky old dog. He planned for this to happen," he said. Bringing Out the Animal in You: The Animagus Handbook by Professor James Peresi... James, PEter, REmus, SIrius. We wrote the book... literally. Of course, we only had four copies made up. That one, I'd wager, is Sirius' copy."

"Only four? You really should have tried for a full printing. It's quite instructive, you know," Hermione said. Remus ran his hands through his hair once more.

"Obviously. It only took you five months to do what it takes most wizards years to do," Remus said.

"Four actually," Ron muttered. Remus sighed.

"I suppose it's too late to do anything about it now. Show me what you've achieved," he said. Grinning, the foursome exchanged a relieved look and transformed.

Moony watched, in some trepidation, as a stag, lion, otter, and cat appeared where Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny had been. He reached out a trembling hand to touch the stag's face.

"Prongs," he breathed. Harry bowed his antlered head and stomped his hoof in acknowledgement. Remus smiled, briefly lost in his memories at the sight of Harry's animagus form. Harry nudged him slightly, and the older wizard seemed to snap out of it.

"Well, I suppose it falls to me to name you, although Prongs came up with the originals," he said. He gave each of them an assessing look.

"Ginny, you're the easiest, with those white paws of yours. I hearby dub you Boots," Remus said. The newly named Boots meowed loudly, then began to unconcernedly lick her paw in a very cat-like fashion.

"I'll assume that means you approve. Hrmmm... Ron. Let's see... I could really use a little divine inspiration here," Moony muttered, looking heavenward. "All right, well, the lion is the king of beasts, and then there is that whole Weasley is our king business, we might as well make it official. You shall be King." King gave a low contented roar, and began to prowl the confines of the 'glade'.

"Hermione next. You guys didn't make this easy on me, did you? Whiskers? No, not very flattering for a young lady to be called," Remus rubbed his chin in thought. Hermione held up one of her small webbed paws and chattered excitedly at him. Remus chuckled. "Webfoot it is then Miss Granger." Finally, he turned to Harry.

"I know that it's not a new name, Harry, but in my mind I could never look at you this way and think of you as anything else. You shall be Prongs, just as your father was before you," he said. "Boots, Webfoot, King, and Prongs." The four younger Marauders returned then to their normal forms, quite pleased with their new names.

"Now, I think we should all go back to bed, before 'Dora realizes I'm gone and comes looking for me," Remus said.

They all filed out of the room of requirement. The girls bid them goodnight, and, as quietly as possible, returned to their room. Ron flopped down on the couch, while Harry walked Remus to the door.

"Good night Moony," he said. Remus smiled.

"Good night, Prongs, and thank you," he said, turning and walking down the hallway to where Tonks slept, waiting.

A/N: I think this was the hardest chapter I've had to write so far. The naming scene killed me. I rewrote it, and rewrote it, and rewrote it. I hope you all like it.

Thanks go out, as always to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta and sounding board for discarded names, and all of you for reading and reviewing.
Next chapter, back to school and a certain ferret may rear his ugly head, yet again.

Out of the Blue by Weasley Mom



A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry shifted his dinner around on his plate, not really eating anything. Tomorrow was the last day before returning to Hogwarts for the rest of the school year. It was not this thought, however, which left Harry's stomach churning and his thoughts a chaotic whirl. It was what he had been putting off, what he had been trying not to think about since the beginning of break. Tomorrow he would go visit Aunt Petunia.

He wasn't sure exactly why he felt obligated to go on these visits. It wasn't as if it was pleasant for him. It wasn't as if there was any real bond of affection between them. He was certain that none of the people whose opinions would matter to him would think any less of him if he didn't go and just left her to the healers' care, but somehow he couldn't do that. Perhaps it was because she was the last tie he had to his Mum, or maybe it was all those years it had been drilled into his head that he should be "damn greatful," for all the Dursleys had done for him. He supposed it could be the burden of guilt he carried, as well. Petunia Dursley would not be in St. Mungo's if weren't for him. Uncle Vernon and Dudley would still be alive. It was yet another tragedy that had been wrought in his young life by Voldemort and his followers. Harry sighed, throwing his napkin on his plate and giving up any pretense of eating.

"Harry, you've barely touched your food. You need to eat," Mrs. Weasley said, her voice full of motherly concern.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Weasley. I'm just not very hungry tonight," Harry said. Mrs. Weasley nodded her understanding.

"All right, dear. Perhaps you'll feel like eating later. I'll have Dobby save it for you," she said sympathetically.

"Thank you," Harry told her giving her a half-hearted smile. "Remus, what time will we be leaving for the hospital in the morning?" Remus looked up from the quiet conversation he had been having with Tonks.

"Moody should be here about 9:30, then we'll take the Knight bus," Remus told him. Harry nodded.

"Good. That should give us plenty of time to eat breakfast before we leave in the morning," Ginny said brightly. Harry turned to face his girlfriend.

"We?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. We. I'm going with you tomorrow," Ginny replied matter-of-factly, before calmly eating another bite of the shepherd's pie which Mrs. Weasley had prepared for dinner.

"No," Harry said. "You're not." He was dimly aware of the sudden silence in the room as the others watched their exchange. His attention, however, was completely on Ginny who very carefully set down her fork.

"Yes," she said, looking him straight in the eyes," I am."

"No, you're not," Harry said, clenching his jaw to hold back his building anger. Ginny threw her napkin down and stood, eyes blazing.

"Yes, I am. I will not spend another day watching you come home from that place and lock yourself in your room. I sat outside your door after every one of your visits this summer and listened to you blow things up to try and deal with your pain. Let me help you, you stupid git," Ginny shouted at him.

"Do you honestly think putting you through it with me will make it better, Gin?" Harry yelled, getting to his feet. "It's painful and horrible to be there. I talk to her until I'm hoarse, while she just sits there and stares at nothing. Most of the time she doesn't even know that I'm there, but it's better than when she does notice me. Do you know what she does then? She smiles at me. I've waited my whole cursed life for some sign, any sign, that she cared about me, even a little. I never got it, never. It took her being tortured into insanity before I even got a smile from her. Do you know how that feels? I sit there and I remember all those special moments with my aunt like being locked in my cupboard for two weeks when I was six because I threw up on the carpet. Then there is my personal favorite memory, the time I tried to call her Mum when I was three or four and she slapped me and told me that she would never be a mother to a freak like me. Oh, and here's the best part, I can't hate her. I've tried. It'd be easier if I did, but I can't. Every time I go there, I feel like that scared, helpless little boy locked in the dark and not understanding why. I don't want you to see that, Ginny. I don't want anyone to see that."

Turning, he fled the kitchen. Without any conscious thought, he made his way to his bedroom slamming the door behind him. Remus found him there a short time later. Harry was sitting on the floor near one of the 'windows'. He had his knees pulled up to his chest was staring sightlessly out at the image of the Hogwarts' grounds. Remus sat down next to his ward, waiting for him to make the first move.

"I can't believe that I yelled at her like that, in front of the whole family. I really screwed up this time didn't I?" Harry muttered after a while.

"Not your finest moment, no, but I think she understands, Harry," Remus said quietly. "She's worried about you. We all are."

"I know," Harry said, still not willing to talk about the pain he knew he'd be facing at St. Mungo's in the morning.. "How do I fix this, Remus?"

"You start by going down stairs and apologizing, then you listen to her," he said. "A little chocolate might not hurt either." Despite himself, Harry chuckled.

"I don't suppose you have any?" he asked wryly. Wordlessly, Remus produced a bar of Honeydukes' best chocolate from inside a pocket of his robes and handed it to him with a grin. He then pulled Harry to his feet and they walked back down the stairs together. Remus steered him into the drawing room where the whole family was sitting. All conversation stopped the minute they entered the room. Ginny was sitting on the couch with Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, and Hermione. Harry thought she'd been crying. He knew for sure that she had been when he saw the glares he was receiving from Ron and the twins. He was just glad Percy, Bill, and Charlie were all on dates.

"I.. err.." Harry said, looking to Remus for reassurance. Remus gave him an encouraging nod. "Could I talk to you for a minute Ginny... alone."

"No, Harry. You didn't seem to have a hard time talking to me in front of everyone earlier," Ginny said icily. Inwardly, Harry cringed. She was not going to make this easy on him, not that he blamed her.

"I'm sorry that I yelled at you like that, Ginny. I shouldn't have, especially not in front of everyone else. You took me by suprise, I guess. I love you. I don't mean to shut you out, any of you. I'm just sort of used to dealing with the Dursleys on my own. I don't want you to have to see that part of my life," Harry said.

"Mate, it's too late. We've already seen it. It was there for us to see every time you had to go back to that place for the summer. Do you think we couldn't tell how much you hated it there?" Ron asked.

"Did you forget we're the ones who pulled those bars off your windows in your second year?" George asked.

"Or that we've seen the locks on that hole under the stairs they used to make you live in?" Fred added.

"Or that we've spent the last five summers doing our best to answer all those desperate How soon am I getting out of here? letters?" Hermione murmured.

"Or that we've seen you come back half-starved and far too pale?" Mrs. Weasley said.

"Harry, you've seen me at my very worst, in the Chamber with Tom. Nothing I could see between you and your aunt at St. Mungo's is going to scare me away. You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's not your fault that they treated you the way they did. I love you. You have always been there to help me through things. Are you going to let me help you deal with this or not?" Ginny said, getting up and walking over to him.

"If you're sure you want to Gin, then I'd really appreciate it if you came with me," Harry told her. He then smiled his most charming smile, and even threw in his own version of Sirius' puppy dog eyes. "Does this mean you forgive me?"

"That depends. Is that chocolate you're holding for me?" she asked with an impish grin. Harry smiled, and handed her the candy bar. Ginny threw her arms around him, kissing him soundly, in front of her parents, brothers, Hermione, Remus, and Tonks.

"Remind me to stock up on chocolate the next time I mess up with Angelina," Fred told George.

"Works everytime," Remus grinned, winking at the twins.

They arrived at St. Mungo's a little after ten the next morning after a typically stomach churning ride on the knight bus. Harry, as he always did, made a quick stop by the gift shop to purchase flowers for his aunt, before continuing on to the ward where Petunia Dursley was. One of the healers, seeing him enter, smiled and walked over to them.

"Mr. Potter, it's good to see you again," she said.

"Hello Healer McDougall. How's my aunt been?" Harry asked. The healer shook her head sadly.

"There's been no real change. She's calm most of the time, and she seems to brighten somewhat whenever she gets the flowers you arranged for her to get every week. We've been reading the articles about you in The Prophet to her also. One of the nurses said she smiled when she saw your picture on the front page," the healer told him. Harry nodded.

"Thank you. Is it all right to go in now?" Harry asked.

"Yes, of course," she told him, leading him over to the curtained area in which his aunt now resided. Harry took a deep breath, gathering himself to see the woman who had raised him. He felt Ginny's small hand slip into his and squeeze. He smiled greatfully at her, before parting the curtains and entering.

Petunia Dursley was sitting in a chair near her bed rocking slightly back and forth. Her hair while neat, was far from the immaculate coif she had worn it in throughout Harry's childhood, and was now liberally streaked with gray. Her skin had that translucent paleness that one only saw in those who had suffered from the effects of a long term illness. Her eyes stared sightlessly forward, devoid of any thought or emotion.

"Good morning, Aunt Petunia," Harry said quietly, walking over and gently placing a kiss on the top of her head. "I've brought you flowers." She looked up at him and smiled an empty smile. Harry flinched as he placed the flowers in a nearby vase. He walked over and set in one of the chairs across from her. Ginny sat in the other. Remus and Moody had stayed outside the curtained area to insure their privacy.

"I'm sorry I haven't been to see you in a while. I've been away at my school. I brought someone to meet you. This is Ginny Weasley. She's my girlfriend," Harry told her quietly.

"It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Dursley," Ginny said softly, smiling gently at Harry's aunt. Petunia just continued to rock, as if she hadn't spoken.

"I'm quidditch captain this year. We won our first game. It was against Slytherin. Ginny was brilliant. She's one of our chasers. She scored two goals," Harry said, searching his mind for something else to say.

"Harry caught the snitch. He's only missed it once, and that was only because of the dementors. He's the best seeker Hogwarts has ever seen," Ginny added. Harry couldn't help the blush that crept up his cheeks at Ginny's praise.

"I'm umm... staying at Sirius' house for the holidays. It's not the same with him gone, but the Weasleys and Remus are there too so they're taking care of me. Speaking of Remus, he's getting married to Tonks. Remember I told you about her this summer? I'm really happy for them," Harry told her.

Harry continued talking to her for the hour he was there. Ginny filled in the gaps in the one sided conversation, where Harry became too emotional to speak or could think of nothing to say. He'd never been more appreciative of her support. Finally, Remus stuck his head in through curtain.

"Time to go, Harry," he said. Harry nodded in acknowledgement.

"I have to go Aunt Petunia. I'm going back to school tomorrow, so I won't be back to see you for a while. The healers know to make sure and let me know if you need anything," he said, once more placing a gentle kiss on the top of her head. She smiled up at him again, the same empty smile. Harry closed his eyes, shutting it out. Ginny put an arm around him, offering her silent support.

"It was nice meeting you, Mrs. Dursley," Ginny told her. "I hope to see you again sometime."

They left the room hand in hand and silently followed Remus and Mad-Eye out of the hospital. Catching the knight bus, they returned to Grimmauld Place. Ginny walked Harry up to his room, pushing him gently onto the couch, where she snuggled up to him as they had countless times in the Gryffindor common room. She felt him take a deep shuddering breath and watched as he fought to keep his memories at bay.

By the time they returned to Hogwarts the next morning, Harry was mostly back to his normal self. He threw himself into his classes and training with a renewed zeal. Both Remus and Dumbledore told him that he was making great progress, however, he still felt like he was no where near being able to defeat Voldemort. Quidditch was going well also. Gryffindor had soundly defeated Hufflepuff in their match, sending them into first place in the race for the house cup, just ahead of Ravenclaw who had destroyed Slytherin when they faced each other.

Since the visit to St. Mungo's, Harry and Ginny had gotten even closer. While both were extraordinarily busy, Harry with all his extra training and Ginny with OWLs, they made time for each other every Friday. Usually they went to the astronomy tower or some other quiet spot. A few times, when there had been breaks in the weather, they had gone for rides on Harry's motorbike.

As January rolled into February, another Hogsmede weekend approached. Harry and the others were to be accompanied, once again by Fred and George. The twins met them at the castle gates, wearing their usual mischievious grins.

"Ahh... young Harry! Fancy meeting you here," George said.

"Care to accompany us to Hogsmede?" Fred grinned.

"I can't believe that they let you two be our minders again. The last time Filch nearly had kittens at all of the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes that suddenly showed up in school," Ginny grinned.

"Professor Dumbledore is a man who understands the importance of a good joke in these trouble times little sister," George said.

"Besides, Tonks is dragging Remus shopping for wedding stuff and we were available," Fred grinned.

"Poor Moony," said Ron, earning him a playful punch from Hermione.

They made their way to Hogsmede, laughing at stories of the twins latest antics. They had apparently aroused the wrath of Mrs. Weasley, and their two oldest brothers, by testing their latest product on them. Both of the elder Weasley boys had somehow ended up sprouting bright blue beards, which grew back within ten minutes of shaving them off. Unfortunately, the antidote had not quite been perfected yet and as a result, they'd been forced to wear the beards for a week.

The group spent the morning browsing through the shops in Hogsmede. Harry, following Remus' advice that chocolate is always good, had brought a large heart-shaped box of Honeydukes best chocolates for the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday. He also dragged Ron and George into Madame Tiffany's again, where he purchased a bracelet with a tiny cat charm on it. Ron, meanwhile, also made a purchase for Hermione which he was being very secretive about. Harry suspected that this was due to George's presence, but he couldn't be sure. They hurried out of the shop and down the street towards The Three Broomsticks, where they were meeting the girls and Fred for lunch. Scanning the crowded avenue, Harry spotted them coming out of Scrivenshafts. He grinned, raising his hand to wave, when a series of loud pops filled the air.

"Bloody hell!" George said, grabbing Harry and Ron and pulling them behind some barrels which stood in front of the pub. He immediately held his wand aloft, sending forth a silvery mist which sped towards Hogwarts.

"Do you see the others?" Ron asked, franitcally. "I can't see the girls."

Harry peered over the nearest barrel scanning the crowd. He muttered a choice oath which would have earned him a scolding from Mrs. Weasley. He didn't see the girls anywhere, but he did see a group of third years pinned down by a cluster of death eaters near Honeydukes.

"We've got to help them. Most of them are in the D.A. so they can last a while, but not nearly long enough. George, can you create a distraction?" Harry said urgently. George shot him an evil grin.

"Did you forget who you were talking to, mate?" he asked. Despite the seriousness of the situation, Harry grinned back.

"I'll take that as a yes. Ron, we're gonna make a run for those third years. Just stay close to me and stun as many death eaters as you can. Got it?" Harry asked. Ron gave him a terse nod.

"Ready?" George asked. Not waiting for Harry's response, he began tossing a series of brightly colored balls into the center of the death eater's ranks which exploded emitting great clouds of colored smoke and sparks. Harry and Ron sped from the cover of the barrels diving into the nearst doorway, where they found Seamus and Dean huddled.

"Harry!" Seamus said, sounding relieved. "What do we do?"

"Follow us. Shoot stunners and anything else you think will be helpful at them. Keep them busy and keep your heads down. We have got to get to those third years over there before they get slaughtered," Harry ordered. Dean and Seamus nodded looking frightened, but determined.

Harry and Ron once more darted out of their cover, with Seamus and Dean in their wake, dodging spells sent at them by the death eaters. As they dove into the next doorway, Harry saw George across the street. It appeared he had been reunited with Fred. They were now flinging what Harry suspected were dark bombs at knots of death eaters. Harry and Ron continued down the street, organizing D.A. members as they found them. They saw no sign of either Hermione or Ginny, and had to hope that they were with the twins. At last, they made it to Honeydukes. Neville and Luna were hudled in the doorway, doing their best to defend the panicing third years.

"Harry! Shouldn't help be arriving by now?" Neville asked. He had a long gash down one side of his face and Luna was sporting a black eye as she calmly fired spells from behind the cover that the door way offered. Harry frowned. Neville had a point. Where was the Order?

"I dunno. Looks like we're on our own for now, though. Listen to me, there is a tunnel down in the basement of the store. Neville and Luna, I want you to take the third years and lead them back to the castle. Alert the professors. The rest of us will stay here and keep them occupied. No heroics, just keep them occupied. Got it?" Harry said to the group of D.A. members gathered around. They all nodded, looking pale and scared.

"Good luck, Harry," Neville said solemnly. He and Luna then gathered up the frightened third years and lead them down to the basement.

"Anyone seen Hermione and Ginny?" Ron asked desperately, as he shot spells at the advancing death eaters.

"I think they were across the street in Scrivenshafts," Lavender Brown said. "I know I saw them there when the battle started."

The death eaters were continuing to advance. Harry saw Seamus fall to a stunner, but didn't have time to check and see if he was ok. Peering across the street, Harry saw another group of D.A. members with Fred and George. He didn't see Hermione or Ginny with them and fought down his rising panic at not knowing where they were. He leaned out from his cover once more to hurl a spell at Voldemort's forces, and saw Colin Creevey get blasted off his feet by a jet of purplish light and flung against the wall behind him like a rag doll. He did not get up. Another series of loud pops filled the air then, and Harry realized the Order had arrived, at last.

"Ron, get everybody out of here. I'm going out to help the Order," Harry called.

"No way, mate. Ginny and Hermione are out there somewhere. I'm staying here," Ron shouted back, as he fired another spell at the death eaters.

"Justin, Padma," Harry said. "Get everyone down the tunnels. Ron and I are going out to help."

"Be careful," Padma told him, as she and Justin motioned everyone inside Honeydukes. They paused to help Lavender and Dean drag a still unconscious Seamus with them, then disappeared inside the sweet shop. Harry turned to Ron.

"Ready, King?" he asked.

"Let's go, Prongs," Ron grinned.

Charging out of the cover of the store front, Ron and Harry made a bee-line for the knot of Order members which were driving the death eaters down the street. Two red heads stood clearly out in the crowd.

"What the hell are you two doing here?' Bill Weasley shouted at them as he took a death eater down.

"Ginny and Hermione. We can't find them," Ron said to his older brother. He then shot a reducto curse at a death eater, who was firing curses at Charlie.

"What! What do you mean you can't find them? Remus! Moody! The girls are missing," Bill called. "Where are the twins?"

"Dunno, they were across the street from us with a bunch of D.A. members," Harry answered. Yet a third series of pops echoed down the street as the aurors, led by Kingsley Shacklebolt, arrived.

"Retreat!" one of the death eaters ordered, shooting the dark mark into the clear blue sky over Hogsmede. Voldemort's followers began to disapperate with loud pops. Of the thirty that had started the battle, almost half were down in the street, fallen to the D.A. and Order.

"Not a good day for Voldemort," Moody said, grinning malisciously. "Nice job, Potter. You trained your people well."

"Harry! Ron!" Ginny called from down the street. Harry turned, letting out a sigh of relief. Ginny and Hermione were running down the street toward he and Ron, leaving the cover of Scrivenshafts, where they had rode out the battle protecting a second group of third years. Harry's relief, turned suddenly to panic as he saw a dark figure step out from the shadows of one of the shops.

"Crucio!" the figure hissed. Hermione was struck from behind, writhing on the ground in pain.

"Hermione no!" Ginny said, turning and running back to her friend. Time seemed to slow, for Harry as he saw the dark figure release the spell on Hermione, only to grab Ginny. Wrapping an arm around her, he held his wand to her throat. Tossing his head, the hood which covered his face fell back to reveal the pale blonde hair and cold silver eyes of Draco Malfoy.

"Miss me, Potty?" he asked smirking evilly.

That's right boys and girls, time for the return of the evil cliffy. Hope you all liked this one. Thanks go out as always to Danielle for moderating, my son for beta-ing, and all of you fantastic people for your reviews. This one was, I think, even more difficult to write than the last one, which explains why it took so long for me to post. The confrontation between Ginny and Harry went through at least five different versions.
Next chapter, more fun with Malfoy and a full moon frolic.
Up in Smoke by Weasley Mom

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

For clarification, all of the italicized portions of dialogue are thought. Basically, I needed a way for the characters to communicate in their animal forms, so I decided to flex my authorly powers and allow them to communicate telepathically. It was never mentioned by Sirius or Remus before because the kids didn't need to know. Enjoy!




"Miss me, Potty?" he asked smirking evilly.

"Not particularly, Ferret," Harry said, giving up the struggle to control his rage and allowing the green flames to flare to life around him. He was dimly aware of the aurors and Order members who were present fixing their wands on Malfoy, and of Bill, Charlie, and the twins restraining Ron, who was frantically trying to get to Hermione. Harry kept his concentration on Ginny, who was struggling to break free of her captor.

"Let me go, you silver-eyed snake," Ginny growled.

"I don't think so, Weaselette. I have a message to deliver, and I'd rather do it uninterrupted. Your tasty little self insures my security. The advantage of my side, you know. I'm surrounded by aurors and not one of them will dare touch me for fear of hitting you or the mudblood," Malfoy grinned malisciously. Harry noticed several aurors and Order members very cautiously and quietly inching their way around behind the Slytherin.

"Playing errand boy, Malfoy?" Harry sneered, doing his best to keep the blonde boy distracted. "Haven't you ever heard? They kill the mesenger. Your master must not think very much of you." The grin was temporarily wiped off of Draco's face.

"I volunteered, Potter. I wanted to see the look on your face when you heard the Dark Lord's message," he snarled. His eyes flickered then, and Harry realized he had seen those attempting to ease their way around behind him. Malfoy tightened his grip on Ginny, causing her to hiss in pain.

"I suggest you call them off, scar-head. If I go down, it won't be alone," Malfoy said.

"Back off," Harry ordered, his gaze flicking in a silent plea to Kingsley and Lupin. He saw the Order members freeze and Kingsley ordering the aurors back. "Deliver your message, Malfoy, and get out of here."

"Awwww... and I was so enjoying our little reunion too, but if you insist. The Dark Lord wishes me to convey his distress that he was unable to deliver the Christmas gift that he had so carefully devised for you. He thought perhaps you might enjoy a token of his affection for Valentine's Day instead. I know it's a little bit early, but..." Malfoy shrugged. Quick as the snake he was, he removed his wand from Ginny and pointed it at one of the nearby storefronts shouting, "Inflamare Malifico!"

The store burst into flames and a series of small explosions rocked other shops on the street as they too began to blaze. It was what Harry had been waiting for. Flicking his wrist, he used his wandless magic to pull Ginny from Malfoy's grip. In the same instant, Ron, taking advantage of the distraction caused by the fire, transformed into his lion. He launched himself at Malfoy with a tremendous roar, knocking him to the ground with a massive paw upside the head. Snarling, he turned to launch a second attack at the boy. Unfortunately, Malfoy had, by this time, gotten his wits back and managed to scramble out of the way. Harry noticed with grim satisfaction the long claw marks which now marred Draco's cheek. Malfoy put one hand to his face, feeling the blood there. His eyes filled with icy rage. He raised his wand with deadly intent, pointing it at the lion.

"Avada..." Malfoy began.

"Expelliarmus!" Hermione cried, albeit weakly, sending Malfoy's wand flying.

"Stay out of this, mudblood," Draco snarled at her.

"Accio Wand!" Ginny shouted. Malfoy's wand flew into her outstretched hand, as Tonks, Lupin, and the Weasley boys ran towards them.

"This isn't over," Draco hissed as he took a small object from a pocket of his robes and murmured something Harry couldn't hear. There was a bright flash of light and Malfoy was gone. Ron, still in his lion form walked over to Hermione, nuzzling her.

"Talk about beauty and the beast," George murmured.

"How the hell did you learn to do that Ronniekins?" Fred said.

"He should just be thankful that Bill is quick with the obliviate spell otherwise we'd have a problem. Not even Sirius was irresponsible enough to transform in front of a whole squad of aurors." Lupin said, glaring at Ron.

"Still... it is pretty wicked," Charlie grinned. "Our little brother is an animagus."

"An unregistered animagus. Do you have any idea how much trouble he will get into if he is caught?" Bill demanded. "Not to mention what Mum will say."

"She won't say anything, because no one is going to tell her," Ginny said forcefully. "I have too much dirt on all of you. This stays secret."

"Can we debate this later? The whole bloody town is ablaze, in case you haven't noticed. We need to help. And where the hell is Dumbledore?" Harry growled.

"Harry's right. This can wait. Ron, go with Hermione back to the castle and get her to Madame Pomfrey." Lupin said. Hermione, though very pale, straightened determinedly.

"I'll be fine," she said. The lion standing next her snarled and Harry was certain that if Ron were in human form an argument would be starting.

"Miss Granger, as your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher I must insist," Tonks said, knowing Hermione would not refuse when put in those terms. Lupin then handed Hermione a spoon from a pocket in his robes.

"This will take you straight to the castle gates. The headmaster gave it to me in case one of you needed immediate help. Now go,"he said. Hermione took the spoon in one hand, while Ron very carefully took the other end in his mouth. They quickly disappeared and Harry and the others rushed to join the efforts to save Hogsmede.

It was an exhausted Harry and Ginny who returned to the castle that night through the Shrieking Shack with Remus and Tonks. All four were covered in smoke and soot. Harry's eyes and throat burned and Ginny's eyes were nearly as red as her hair. Remus ushered them all to the headmasters office. Professor Dumbledore was waiting for them, his eyes unusually grave.

"The fires are out then?" he asked as they entered. Remus nodded tiredly.

"Yes, headmaster. The town is in ruins, though. Honeydukes is gone, as is Scrivenshafts and Madame Pudifoot's. The Three Broomsticks survived the worst of it. The mediwitches from St. Mungo's are using it as a staging area to shift the most seriously injured to the hospital," Remus said.

"How did he do that? I mean, Malfoy has never been that powerful. He set half the town ablaze with one spell," Harry asked, his voice coming out a harsh croak.

"I suspect he just triggered a spell set up by the other deatheaters, Harry. I understand he had a message for you?" Dumbledore said. Harry nodded.

"Apparently this was in retaliation for Voldemort's failure to attack the Hogwarts express at Christmas. He said it was another gift to me," he said grimly, thinking of the total destruction he had witnessed today.

"Harry, this wasn't your fault," Ginny said, taking his hand. She sounded nearly as bad as he did. Harry smiled sadly at her. He really wanted to believe that.

"I know it has been an horific day for all of you, but try to remember, you did manage to save most of the students who were in Hogsmede. This day would have been so much worse if you were not there, Harry, especially as I had no choice but to stay here and insure the castle's wards held in case they had switched the focus of their attack," Dumbledore said. Harry's head snapped up at Dumbledore's words.

"Most?" he said, fear on his face. Dumbledore nodded sadly.

"Colin Creevey died as a result of the injuries he received and Parvarti Patil has gone missing. I shall be making an announcement to the school tomorrow," he said, his blues eyes dead.

"No," Ginny said shaking her head as tears streamed down her face. Colin was one of her best friends, and now he was gone. Harry did his best to comfort her, his own mind a whirl of memories of Colin. The boy had grown from an annoying groupie in Harry's second year to someone he trusted with the thing most precious to him in the world, Ginny. Harry would miss him. He would also add his name to the ever growing list of people he needed to avenge.

There was a very somber mood in the Great Hall for breakfast the next morning, particularly at the Gryffindor table. The room was draped in black as it had been when Cedric had died. When most of the students were seated, Dumbledore rose and looked sadly around the hall.

"I'm sure that you all are aware of the attack by a group of Lord Voldemort's followers in Hogsmede yesterday afternoon. While, thanks to the bravery of some of our sixth and seventh year students, most of those present were able to make it back to the castle unharmed, one of our number has lost their life in the battle. Let us raise our glasses in rememberance of Colin Creevey." There was silence in the hall as everyone raised their goblets. Harry looked down the table at Dennis Creevey who had his glass held high in memory of his brother. His face was a mask of misery, streaked with tears.

"In addition to Mr. Creevey, Parvarti Patil has gone missing. Every effort is being made to find her and we hope that she will soon be back amongst us. Let us all keep them both in our thoughts and honor them by continuing to live our lives as I know they would like us to," Dumbledore said. Harry looked towards the Ravenclaw table where Padma Patil was quietly sobbing into her hands as her housemates tried to comfort her. He also saw Seamus with his arm around Lavender Brown awkwardly patting her on the back. Harry turned away, unable to watch and wondering how many more of these scenes he would have to endure before the final battle between himself and Voldemort.

Over the next few weeks, life at Hogwarts slowly went back to normal. While it was not unusual to see a student crying in the hallways, laughter was gradually returning to the castle. Harry and Ginny had shared a quiet Valentine's Day together. She had been thrilled with the bracelet he had given her, and they had shared the chocolate frogs under the tree near the lake. Ginny's gift to Harry had been bittersweet. It was a picture of the two of them taken on the first Hogsmede visit of the school year. They were near the fountain at the center of town and Ginny was laughing up at Harry. Ginny had had tears in her eyes as she told Harry that Colin had taken the picture. She'd had it framed at Scrivenschaft's the day of the attack on Hogsmede.

As February wound to a close, the full moon approached. It would be the first full moon that King, Boots, Webfoot, and Prongs would be able to spend with Moony. The last one had fallen in the middle of the week and Remus had refused to allow them to join him. He insisted that being awake for their classes was more important and had informed them, in no uncertain terms, that they would only be accompanying him on full moons which happened to fall on a weekend. So it was, shortly after dinner, the four Marauders found themselves under Harry's invisibility cloak sneaking to the whomping willow to meet their fifth member. Under the cover of the cloak, Ginny silently transformed into Boots and darted out and under the tree's branches, pressing the knot which stilled it. They hurriedly slipped into the tunnel and quickly made their way to the shrieking shack.

"Come on, Ginny. The moon will be up any time. We can't be late," Ron said over his shoulder to his sister.

"We'd be there already if you hadn't had thirds of desert, Ron," Hermione said.

"I'm a growing boy, Hermione. Besides, I'll need my energy for tonight, and Harry had thirds too," he retorted.

"Yes, but Harry didn't have thirds of everything else too," Hermione snapped. Things escalated from there, as they always did where Ron and Hermione were concerned. Harry and Ginny exchanged a look, rolling their eyes.

"Oh look, we're there," Harry said, interrupting them with some relief. He reached out carefully opening the tunnel entrance. The four climbed up into the shrieking shack carefully looking around.

"Moony?" Harry called. Tonks' bright pink head poked out of the kitchen, smiling. She was carrying a small overnight bag and wore an expressin of exaggerated innocence on her face. Remus followed in her wake, looking exhausted. He flopped, tiredly, down on the couch.

"Wotcher you four! Nice of you to come visit Remus before his transformation. I was just getting ready to head to the castle for the night. He doesn't like me to stay here on full moons, just in case. Oh, almost forgot my book," she said, brandishing a very familiar book. She bent down and very thoroughly kissed Remus, then walked towards the tunnel, giving them all a wink as she passed.

"Oh and love, be careful tonight," she said by way of parting, closing the tunnel behind her.

"What was that about?" Harry said with a puzzled frown.

"Tonks is an auror, Prongs. The less she knows, or more precisely, the more she pretends not to know, the better," Remus said with a tired smile.

"Was that the book she had?" Hermione asked. Remus nodded.

"My copy. She's decided that if you four can do it, she can too. She was actually rather miffed to discover that neither Sirius nor I had shared it with her before," Remus grinned briefly, then cringed as a spasm of pain shook him.

"How much longer, Moony?" Harry asked in concern. Moony pulled a vial from his robes and downed it before answering.

"Not long. A few minutes at most. You'd better transform," he panted, as his eyes began to take on a distinctly yellow hue. They quickly obeyed and a stag, lion, cat, and otter appeared where they had been standing. Moments later, a pale shaft of moonlight shone through one of the windows, and Remus stiffened as his transformation began in earnest.

They watched in horror as the bones of the quiet, unassuming man they had all come to love stretched painfully. They saw his skin darken and hair begin to spring forth on his face and hands. Remus screamed as his face elongated and his teeth sharpened. His scream finally changed into a mournful howl as the transformation became complete. A wolf stood panting where the professor had once been.

Prongs tentatively stepped forward, lowering his antlered head. The wolf regarded him with an intelligent amber gaze before sniffing him, as if trying to commit his scent to memory. He then moved on to the rest doing the same thing. Satisfied at last, he padded over to the kitchen door nuzzling it open with his nose and slipping through it. The others followed the wolf through the kitchen and out the back door, which had conveniently been left ajar.

Moony stepped out into the cool, fog-shrouded darkeness. Lifting his muzzle into the air, he sniffed once more before cautiously leading them out into the night. He carefully skirted the edge of Hogsmede where the ruins from the attack stood reaching skeletal fingers toward the sky. At last they reached the edges of the Forbidden Forest where he stopped, casting a pointed look at Boots and Webfoot.

The otter chittered at the lion, who lowered himself to the ground. She scrambled on, wrapping her paws in his mane, chittering at him once more, as though warning him that there would be hell to pay if he let her fall off. Boots, meanwhile, finished unconcernedly licking the dew off her paws before leaping lightly onto Prongs back and digging her claws in slightly. The wolf inclined his head gravely and took off at a run into the forest. Prongs and King followed, racing through the night.

Harry felt the muscles in his legs bunch powerfully as he ran through the moonlit forest in Moony's wake. It was a feeling of freedom he'd never felt before, even on his Firebolt, and he reveled in it. His heightened animal senses picked up everything. He could hear mice scurrying in the underbrush and smell the scent of Ginny perched on his back. He found himself wishing he could've shared a run like this with his dad or Sirius.

"Wonderful isn't it?" he heard a voice to his left say. He nearly threw Ginny to the ground as he skidded to a hault at the sight of the almost translucent stag which stood to his left.

"Dad?" he thought in wonder, realizing the voice had spoken inside his mind. The other stag almost regally inclined his antlered head. Boots mewed softly, and the stag gently nuzzled her in acknowledgement. "How?"

"Animal senses are much keener than human ones. We also might've broken a few rules to get here. Honestly, if we weren't already dead your Mum would probably kill us," Harry could almost see the arrogant grin on the other stag's face.

"We? Sirius is here too?" Harry's question was answered almost immediately by the sight of Moony racing back to him with the translucent form of Padfoot at his side and King in their wake.

"Great night for a run, isn't it kiddo? I always loved nights like this," Padfoot projected, winking at Harry and giving him his familiar canine grin.

"How did you do this?" Harry couldn't help but ask again.

"By violating pretty much every law of the outer planes," Sirius grinned. "We had to be here for your first run though, besides we wanted to congratulate Moony on his engagement, or at least James did. I wanted to talk him out of it."

"Won't you get into serious trouble for that?"Hermione's voice interjected.

"Only if we're caught, and we're never caught, Webs," Sirus thought cheerfully.

"Webs?" Ron's voice snorted.

"Shut it, your majesty," Hermione thought.

"Merlin, now I have to listen to them argue in my head too. I was enjoying the peace and quiet," Ginny sighed.

"Just tune them out. That's what I've always done with Padfoot," James told her innocently.

"See how unloved I am?"Padfoot mournfully proclaimed, his canine eyes sparkiling with mischief

"So where to tonight then, Moony?" James asked, ignoring Sirius' puppy dog eyes.

"I was thinking the hill," Moony projected.

"Perfect. Last one there is a hook-nosed, greasy haired Slytherin," Sirius said. Turning Moony, Padfoot, and Prongs bounded off into the fog as their successors followed.


One more chappie down, and I was even nice and left you without a cliffie. I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks as always go out to Danielle, my moderator, my son Will, my beta, and all of you for your wonderful reviews. Thank you! We're getting down to the end of the story here folks, only a few more chapters to go. I am however, working on a couple of other stories which I will start posting when this one is finished. One is a Marauders fic told from Sirius' point of view. The other is the story of Remus and Tonks' romance from the beginning to the wedding. They are both sort of companion pieces to this one as they will reflect events which I have mentioned in this story.

Next chapter... quidditch, a DA meeting, and a clue about what happened to Parvarti.

Not Quite Right by Weasley Mom
All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry walked through the ranks of the D.A. offering pointers and encouragement to those assembled. Across the room, he saw Remus and Tonks doing the same. Harry had been very proud of how well everyone had reacted during the attack on Hogsmede, but it also shook him that two of their number had been lost. He kept going over in his mind what he was missing, wondered if there was anything he could have done to save Colin or keep Parvarti from being taken. In his mind, they were his responsibility. He had trained them, but his training hadn't been enough. He worried that more would fall before the end of the war, and had resolved to step up the work he was doing with them.

They had moved on from the patronus charm, which everyone in the advanced group could perform, to more complex shield charms and some more powerful offensive spells. He stopped his wandering to correct Seamus Finnegan's wand movement as he tried to perform the cutting curse. Seamus had very nearly cut Dean's head off, not with the spell, but with the wild motion of his arm. Harry watched them for a few more minutes, before continuing to work his way through the ranks of Dumbledore's Army.

In the months since the attack on Hogsmede, Harry's life had fallen into a sort of routine. He went to classes during the day, followed by the extra lessons he was taking with members of the Order. He would then have a hurried dinner before rushing off to either quidditch or the night's D.A. metting. Weekends, Harry would work on homework, lesson plans for the D.A., and new quidditch strategies with Ron. The only down time he allowed himself was Friday nights, which were reserved for Ginny.

The thought of Ginny caused a brief smile to flit across his face. He glanced over to the corner, where she was patiently working with a fourth year Hufflepuff. She looked tired, which was not suprising as, on top of OWLs, she was dealing with the loss of one of her best friends.

Colin's loss had been tough on both of them. Above and beyond the guilt Harry felt, he had come to regard Colin as something more than the annoyance that he had been during his first years at Hogwarts. He had begun to consider the boy his friend, especially when he saw how loyal and protective Colin was of Ginny. It had been one of the hardest things that Harry had ever had to do, but he had written a letter to Colin's parents. He told them of their son's bravery and that he had died trying to save younger students. Harry had also been forced to find a replacement for Colin on the quidditch team. Lavender Brown would be filling his spot as chaser. Colin would not be forgotten on the pitch, however. The Gryffindor quidditch team would be wearing black robes instead of the usual scarlett for their final match against Ravenclaw.

Checking the clock, which the room of requirement had conveniently supplied, Harry signaled for everyone to stop. He then headed for the front of the room. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny followed.

"All right everyone, good session tonight. We're nearly there on the cutting charms and your shields have come a long way. Next meeting, we're going to review your patronus charms, so you might want to practice them a bit," Harry said. This was met with a chorus of groans. Harry had drilled them on patronus charms until most of them thought that they could do them in their sleep.

"Do you really think we need to go over those again?" Padma Patil asked. "We can all conjure them with no problem."

"Yes, Padma. We do. Conjuring a patronus to an empty room, or even a boggart, is one thing. It's completely different when a real dementor becomes involved. You have to be prepared for that. Your very souls, or the souls of others, could depend upon it," Harry said grimly. He noticed several students shiver at his words. He knew he'd scared some of them. He honsetly didn't care, if it meant they were prepared for what he knew would be coming.

"On that happy note," he added grinning. "I'll see everyone next time."

Students began to file out of the room talking amongst themselves. Remus and Tonks made their way over to Harry and the others.

"Bit grim there at the end," Tonks said, running a hand through her spiky pink hair.

"He needed to be Nymphadora," Remus said in his soft, hoarse voice. "These kids have got to take this stuff seriously." Tonks sent him a glare at the use of her first name.

"I won't let anyone else get killed," Harry said quietly. "If that means I have to scare some people, then so be it."

"Harry," Hermione began. He cut her off.

"Save it, Hermione. The rational part of my brain has already given me all the usual arguments. It's my heart that says I have to do more, to push them. I'm the one training them. I'm the one who was leading them that day. The group may be called Dumbledore's Army, but he has never been it's leader. I am. Their lives depend upon me and what I teach them." Hermione opened her mouth to argue, but Ron put a restraining hand on her shoulder.

"He's right 'Mione. I agree with you that it's not Harry's fault. He shouldn't hold himself responsible for everything. We do need to be more prepared, though. Look at what happened in Hogsmede. You could have died. Ginny could've died. We weren't ready for that. We need to be," Ron said, his eyes filled with emotion.

Only Harry, and the other sixth year boys, knew how much watching Draco attack Ginny and Hermione had effected Ron. Several times since Hogsmede, they had been woken up by Ron screaming in the throes of a nightmare. Harry had been the one to sit up with him and calm him down, much as Ron had done for him countless times.

"Ummm... Harry?" Neville Longbottom said hesitantly from near the door. "Are we going to meet tonight?"

Harry looked up realizing that Neville, Luna, Padma Patil, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, and Ernie MacMillan were waiting to have their usual private meeting. He nodded.

"Yeah, Nev. Come on in," Harry said.

"I think that's our cue, Moony," Tonks grinned.

"Let's us know if there's anything significant," Remus whispered, as he and Tonks bid them all good night and left. Harry closed his eyes in concentration, causing a table to appear in the room. He gestured at everyone to sit down. He waited until they were all seated before he spoke.

"Anyone have anything to report?" he asked without preamble.

"Not a thing," Ernie MacMillan said. "We've been keeping an eye on the ones Neville and Luna saw go to that meeting, and nothing."

"What about the Slytherins? Anyone seen anything from them?" Harry asked.

"Gregory Parkinson has been even more smarmy than normal. I think he is up to something. Pansy has been looking rather self satisfied, as well. It's nothing tangible, just a feeling," Ginny said.

"That great cow," Padma muttered under her breath. Everyone looked at her, startled. Padma was normally very tranquil and had been more so since Parvarti's disappearance. "She actually had the nerve to ask me if I had heard anything from my sister yesterday." Tears welled up in Padma's eyes. Hermione gasped.

"That evil little...." Hermione growled, unable to think of a word to describe Pansy's vileness. Ginny put a supportive arm around Padma's shoulders.

"Don't worry, Padma. They'll find her. Dumbledore has the entire Order looking and the Ministry is working on it too," Ginny said comfortingly.

Harry avoided Padma's eyes. Parvarti's disappearance had left him with some very mixed emotions. He mourned for the pretty girl he had taken to the Yule Ball, the girl who had placed just a little too much faith in Professor Trelawney's off the wall predictions, and who had spent the evenings in the Gryffindor common room gossiping and laughing with Lavender. He felt horrible for Padma who, according to Luna, was falling apart in her worry and grief. Her grades had dropped drastically, and there was concern from the Ravenclaw quidditch team over her dismal performance in practice. Padma had been their star chaser, but, if gossip was to be believed, she could now barely score. Despite this, he couldn't help but remember Neville and Luna's report that Parvarti had attended a meeting where the attempted attack on the Hogwart's Express had been planned. It was this which made him wonder whether she had been taken or had left voluntarily.

"Does anyone have anything else?" Harry asked. They all shook their heads. "All right then. Everyone continue to keep your eyes open. If anything else happens, let me know. Otherwise, we'll meet as usual next week."

Padma, Susan, Ernie, and Hannah left. Neville and Luna stayed behind to talk for a few minutes before they too departed, so that Neville could walk Luna back to the Ravenclaw common room. Harry rubbed his scar in his frustration.

"What the hell is he up to?" he asked no one in particular. "He destroys Hogsmede, delivers another of his little threats and then nothing... not so much as a random attack on a muggle."

"What does the Order think?" Ginny asked. Harry shrugged.

"They're as puzzled as the rest of us. Moody is worried that he's marshalling his forces for something major. Then again, Moody is still after me about carrying my wand in my back pocket," Harry replied. Ron snorted.

"What do you think, Harry?" Hermione inquired, a serious expression on her face.

"Yeah, mate. You're the one with the mindlink to him. Are you getting any hints?" Ron said. Harry sighed, once again rubbing his scar. He struggled to put his feelings into words.

"Nothing specific, no. I just... I feel like I'm standing on the starting line of race waiting for someone to say go. I know something is coming, something major. I just don't know what," he said.

"Harry, you should tell Dumbledore," Hermione said, her face full of concern.

"Tell him what? Excuse me sir? I seem to be having this wierd feeling. No, nothing specific just an odd feeling. It's probably just nerves anyway," Harry said.

"You don't really believe that, Harry. Neither do I, for that matter. If you won't go to Dumbledore, at least tell Remus," Ginny pleaded.

"Maybe. Ginny, would you mind going down to the Shrieking Shack with me on Friday so I can talk to him in private?" he asked. Ginny smiled gently at him.

"Gee Harry, I don't know. Fate of the whole wizarding world or our date... hrmmm...tough call. Of course I don't mind you great prat," she said, lightly punching his arm. Harry smiled at her.

"Thanks, love," he said.

"Omigosh! That can't be the time. We're out past curfew, again," Hermione said smacking her hand to her forehead. Ron just shook his head, chuckling.

"Hermione, you're an unregistered animagus who frolics with a werewolf on the full moons. You're on the front line in the war against Voldemort. Are you really going to worry about being late for curfew?" he grinned as they headed out the door towards Gryffindor Tower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Harry knew he simply could've asked Remus to talk in the Great Hall at one of the meals or sent him a message via Hedwig. Something held him back from doing this, however. Friday evening seemed to take forever to arrive, and Harry's sense of unease grew daily. Finally, it was time for Harry and Ginny's 'date'. He sat impatiently in the Common Room with Ron waiting for Ginny and Hermione to come down. The plan was for the foursome to leave together. Ron and Hermione would run interference for them, while Harry and Ginny would take the motorbike to the Shrieking Shack. They had opted not to use the tunnel under the willow as Harry had, more than once after going that way, gotten the feeling he had very nearly interrupted Remus and Tonks at things he would rather not see. He had decided knocking on the door would be much safer.

"What is taking them so long?" Harry muttered impatiently for the fourth time.

"You know they always make us wait at least ten minutes. It's only been about seven. You might as well sit down," Ron said from the chair he was sitting in, reading a quidditch magazine. Harry was just about ready to try the stairs to the girls' dorms when they came down at last.

"You look beautiful 'Mione," Ron smiled at his girlfriend, taking her hand and leading the way out of the common room. Harry, despite his impatience to see Moony, couldn't help but agree. Hermione did look beautiful, although, in his eyes, she paled in comparison to Ginny. He smiled, walking over to her and kissing her lightly.

"You ready, Gin?" he asked. She nodded.

"Sorry we kept you waiting. Hermione was having problems with her hair. We had to use practically an entire bottle of Sleakeazy's," she confided, grinning.

The foursome walked together towards Hagrid's, as if they were merely going on one of their regular visits. Ron and Hermione actually were going to be visiting the half giant. Harry and Ginny, on the other hand, would be going around to the back and retrieving his motorbike. They split at the pumpkin patch.

"Be back before curfew," Hermione called out, as Ron rolled his eyes. Harry and Ginny stealthily opened the shed, wheeling the large motorcycle out and part way into the forest before climbing on and starting it. A thrill ran through Harry, as it always did, as the powerful engine roared to life. The bike was soon in the air, soaring over the Forbidden Forest. He wheeled it around, heading for the Shrieking Shack and Remus. They covered the distance quickly, and Harry set the bike down gently in the yard. He helped Ginny to dismount and then, taking her hand, walked up to the shack's door and knocked. The door opened to reveal a suprised looking Tonks.

"Harry? Ginny? What are you two doing here? What's happened?" she asked, her suprise quickly turning to worry.

"Nothing, Tonks. I just... is Moony here? I umm... kind of need to talk to him," Harry said, unaccountably nervous. Tonks smiled, opening the door wider. Her eyes, which were purple today to match her hair, still reflected her worry.

"Sure, come on in. I'll get him," she said. She retreated to one of the rooms off the living room. Harry could hear her soft voice talking and Moony's hoarse one replying. Moony rushed into the room, looking concerned.

"Harry? What is it? What's happened?" he asked putting his hands on Harry's shoulders and looking him over, as if to reassure himself that nothing was wrong.

"I'm fine, Moony. I just needed someone to talk to. I have been having these wierd feelings and I didn't know what to do about them," Harry said. Moony paled slightly, and his eyes flicked to Ginny.

"Errr... feelings?" he said uncomfortably. "Umm.. do you really think that Ginny should be here for this?" Harry frowned at him for a minute in puzzlement, then blushed.

"Not those feelings, Moony. Sirius already talked to me about that," Harry said grinning. Remus sank down onto the couch in relief. Tonks did her best to hide her amusement, failing miserably.

"Thank Merlin," he muttered under his breath, visibly collecting himself. "So... feelings. What sort of feelings, Harry?"

"It's hard to explain really. It's just this growing sense that something is coming, something... life changing. Voldemort's been so quiet, but I keep getting this... I don't know... twitchy feeling in my scar. He's planning something Remus. I know he is, but I don't know what," Harry said. Remus put a soothing hand on his shoulder.

"No visions then or nightmares?" Remus asked. Harry shook his head. "Just a strong sense of unease?" Harry nodded. Remus and Tonks exchanged a glance.

"It may be nothing, Harry," Tonks said.

"Then again, we've learned to trust your feelings about these things. How long has this been going on?" he asked.

"I'm not sure exactly. I've been feeling on edge since the attack on Hogsmede, but it didn't really become this intense until Monday after the D.A. meeting," Harry said.

"Monday? Harry why didn't you say something earlier?" Lupin said. Harry shrugged.

"I'm not sure, Moony. I just wanted to discuss it in private, away from prying eyes and ears," he replied. He realized he wasn't making alot of sense, and that he was asking his guardian to take a leap of faith at his intuition.

"You don't think that there is a spy in the castle do you? Did something happen after the D.A. meeting?" Tonks inquired. Harry saw her switch into auror mode. Her normally jovial face taking on an uncharacteristic seriousness. Again, Harry could only shrug.

"I don't have anything concrete. I just get an uneasy feeling like I'm being watched," Harry admitted. He hadn't even said that to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. He'd half convinced himself that he was just being paranoid after too many lessons with Moody. Remus and Tonks exchanged another glance.

"I'll let Dumbledore know, and we'll put the Order on alert In the meantime, if you get any hint of anything more concrete, let one of us know immediately," Remus said. Harry smiled greatfully at his guardian, glad that he was being listened to.

"Thank you, Moony," Harry said. Remus smiled.

"That's what family is for, Prongs. Speaking of which, there's something I have been meaning to talk to you about. I know this probably isn't the best time, but..." he said nervously. "As you know, 'Dora and I are planning our wedding this summer." Harry nodded, not sure where this was leading.

"I was hoping that you'd agree to be my best man. We'd really like the whole family to be involved in the wedding," Remus said quietly. A slow, genuine smile spread across Harry's face.

"I'd be honored, Remus," he said. His feelings of unease were replaced with joy at, not only being asked to be his guardians' best man, but being called family.

They spent the rest of the evening at the Shrieking Shack. Harry and Remus played chess, while Ginny and Tonks looked through bridal magazines. It was the most relaxed Harry could remember feeling since February, and he was beginning to feel a bit silly for being so worried before. Shortly before curfew, Harry and Ginny bid Remus and Tonks goodnight and returned to the castle.

They entered the Gryffindor common room, holding hands and laughing. Harry glanced around, expecting to see Ron and Hermione sitting on one of the couches. Seamus and Lavender were in one of the chairs near the fire snogging, but otherwise the room was deserted. Harry frowned.

"Harry, don't. I'm sure they're fine. They're probably just up in the astronomy tower and lost track of time," Ginny reassured him. Harry nodded his agreement. His good mood was rapidly disappearing, however. It was being replaced, once more, with a vague uneasiness.

He and Ginny sat down to wait, as curfew approached and people began to trickle in. A half an hour passed, and Ron and Hermione had still not returned. They'd been late for curfew before, but never this late. Worse, Harry's sense of unease was becoming almost inmpossible to ignore, and short spurts of pain were shooting through his scar. Finally, he could take it no longer.

"Ginny, I'm going to check the map. You're probably right. They probably just lost track of time, but I'd feel better if I knew," Harry said. Ginny nodded. She'd seen Harry rubbing his scar, and knew, without him telling her, that it was bothering him. They went up to his room, pulling the map out of his trunk.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good," he said, tapping the map with his wand. Harry scanned it as the familiar lines appeared. His eyes widened in alarm, he had spotted Ron and Hermione. They were in the tunnel leading to Honeydukes, but they were not alone. Draco Malfoy, Parvarti Patil, and Bellatrix LeStrange were with them.


A/N: I know this one took forever. I'm sorry guys, but I hit an awful case of writers block. I knew where I wanted this chapter to go, but I was having major problems getting there. Hope you like it.

Thanks go out to Danielle for moderating, my son for Beta-ing, and all of you for reading and reviewing. I've gotten a couple of requests for advances on chapters. Unfortunately, I can't do that as I am writing this as I go. Hopefully, the next chapters will be up quicker than this one was, however.

Next chapter... confrontations with Malfoy, dementors in Hogwarts, and a tragic event.


A/N Addition: Because this chapter took so long to go up... I'm combining the last two chapters into one long chapter. I am hoping that by doing this, the story will be finished by the time HBP comes out, as was my intention. Wish me luck.
Cindy aka Weasley Mom
On a Burning Day by Weasley Mom
A/N: I need to offer a major apology for the length of time between this chapter and the last. I was unable, as I had intended, to post this chapter before the release of HBP. This is primarily because I was attempting to squeeze three chapters worth of plot into one chapter in order to finish before the book’s release. I have now decided to simply divide them into three chapters as I should have done to begin with. The posting was further delayed when I went on vacation for two weeks and had no computer access. I then returned from vacation only to discover a power surge, lightning strike, or something had fried my computer (which I had just purchased). Finally, at long last, I am back online. This chapter is written as I originally intended. I have not changed anything as a result of reading the book. It, therefore, no longer follows cannon, although, oddly, it does have (or will have) some things in common with the book. So without further ado… the next chapter. I hope you enjoy it.

All characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.




Harry scanned the map once more, hoping that this time it would say something different, yet knowing that it wouldn’t. Beside him, he heard Ginny’s sharp inhalation of breath and knew that she too had seen Ron and Hermione’s peril.

“Oh Merlin, Harry! We have to help them,” she choked out. Harry knew that she was right. . Fighting the almost overwhelming urge to charge unthinkingly to the rescue, he forced himself to stop and put the training he had been receiving to use. Going in without a plan would only lead to more deaths. He didn’t think he could survive that.

“Listen to me Gin,” he said firmly. “You need to get to Dumbledore and let him know what is going on. He’ll get the Order mobilized and to Hogsmede. I’m going through the tunnels after them. Hopefully I can save them, if not; I can at least delay them until help arrives. If they get to Hogsmede, Malfoy and Bellatrix could take them anywhere.”

“No way, Potter,” she said defiantly, her eyes flashing in anger. “If you think that I am going to just play messenger girl while my brother and best friend are in Malfoy’s slimy clutches, then you are as unbalanced as The Prophet said you were last year.”

“She’s right, Harry. You can’t go alone,” a quiet voice said from the doorway. Harry turned to see Neville, Seamus, and Dean looking at him. He had no idea how long they had been there, however, their expressions were every bit as determined as Ginny’s.

“Bloody hell!” Harry cursed running his hand through his hair. “I do not have time to argue with you four.”

“Then don’t,” Dean said simply.

“We care about them too, Harry. We’ll not let Malfoy hurt them,” Seamus said.

“We’re going with you, Harry,” Neville stated. Harry looked at the determined faces and conceded defeat, although it would be done his way.

“You can help, but we’ll do things my way. You follow orders no questions asked,” Harry said, waiting for their agreement before he continued. “Ginny and I will go after Ron and Hermione. Neville, you need to get to the headmaster. Tell him to mobilize the Order. They are going to want to guard the tunnels. If Voldemort attacks, it will be through them. Seamus and Dean, rouse the D.A. Do NOT commit them to battle unless you have to. Their primary job should be to protect the younger students. If you have to fight, have the younger students hole up in their common rooms, then give the death eaters everything you’ve got. We’ll be back with Ron and Hermione as quickly as we can.”

They made their way down the steps and through the common room, stopping at the portrait hole.

“Good luck you three,” Seamus whispered.

“And be careful,” Dean added.

“We will, and remember what I said. You two and Luna are in charge of the D.A. until we get back,” Harry said. He then covered Ginny, Neville, and himself with the cloak before the slipping out the common room entrance.

They moved swiftly and soundlessly through the darkened corridors, slipping into embrasures on two different occasions to avoid both Filch and a madly cackling Peeves. When they reached the hallway which branched off towards the headmasters office, Neville stepped out from under the cloak’s protection.

“I’ll get help to you as soon as I can,” Neville whispered before moving off cautiously down the shadowed corridor.

Harry and Ginny continued on to the one-eyed witch passageway, narrowly avoiding Marcus and Pansy Parkinson who were skulking down one of the hallways with Crabbe and Goyle. Harry felt a growing sense of unease as they went. It was not nerves for what they were about to attempt, more an air of tense waiting within the castle itself. He quickly revised his plans inside his head. He paused when they reached the statue and turned to Ginny, making sure they both stayed covered by the cloak.

“We don’t know what kind of shape they’re going to be in when we find them, Gin. I’ll distract Malfoy and the others. You stay under the cloak and get Ron and Hermione free and away from them,” he whispered.

“What do you mean get Ron and Hermione free and away? What about you, Harry? You want me to let you face three death eaters alone?” Ginny hissed.

“I’m not planning a pitched battle in the tunnels, love. I’ll be fine. Once I know that you three are clear, I’ll follow and seal the passageway behind us,” Harry said. Ginny narrowed her eyes.

“What about the Order? I thought that we were delaying Malfoy until the Order showed up,” Ginny demanded. Harry sighed.

“Ginny there is more going on here than just Malfoy taking Ron and Hermione. I don’t think Dumbledore will be able to commit the Order. I think we’ll be on our own,” Harry admitted.

“How do you know?” she whispered. He shook his head, willing her to understand.

“I don’t know. I just… I can feel it. This is just the beginning. Something major is going to happen tonight. We have to get Ron and Hermione and get back as quickly as we can,” Harry said. Finally, reluctantly, she nodded.

“All right, Harry. Just remember, if you let anything happen to yourself I will never forgive you,” she said. He smiled before gently kissing her. He opened the passageway and, taking Ginny’s hand, they stepped, together, into the darkness to save their friends.


Remus Lupin sat on the couch in the Shrieking Shack, the book he was pretending to read propped on Tonks’ bare feet which rested in his lap. He smiled to himself when she muttered under her breath over the stack of parchments that she was attempting to grade. Had anyone told him a year ago that he would ever be this happy, this content with his life; he would have suggested that they spend some time in St. Mungo’s with Gilderoy Lockhart. He was a werewolf, a supposed dark creature. He wasn’t supposed to have happy endings, and yet his was in sight. He had ‘Dora and Harry. For the first time since that horrible Halloween night, he felt that he was part of a family. It was, for him, like a miracle.

“I am never going to get through all of these bloody essays. What was I thinking when I assigned them?” Tonks muttered, tiredly rubbing her eyes.

“You were probably thinking I’ll sweet talk Remus into helping me grade these like you have the last five essays you’ve assigned,” he answered with a grin.

“Can I help it that you were practically born to be a professor and could probably grade these in your sleep?” she said, fluttering her eyelashes in his direction. Remus chuckled.

“Sorry, love. It’s not going to work this time,” he said. She stuck her tongue out at him and stood up.

“Fine, I guess I’ll just have to drink entirely more caffeine than I should and stay up all night,” she said with a sigh and headed for the kitchen.

“Guilt won’t work either, ‘Dora. Thanks to James’ and Sirius’ liberal use of it, I’m immune,” he said to her retreating back. She turned and once more stuck her tongue out at him as she entered the kitchen. He had just stretched out on the couch, still chuckling to himself when he heard the sound of shattering china from the room his fiancé had recently entered.

“You know, we really should put an unbreakable charm on all of our dishes. That’s the tenth cup you’ve broken this week,” he called to her. His amusement turned to a frown, however, when he did not receive the expected saucy reply.

“Dora?” he said, rising from the couch and walking into the kitchen. “Are you o…”

It was only his keen werewolf sense which saved him from the stunner shot in his direction by the rat faced little man standing near the stove. Remus dove and rolled behind the kitchen table, overturning it as he went. The spell slammed into the wooden door causing splinters of wood to shower the kitchen.

“Remus! My old friend! How nice of you to join us. I’ve just been reacquainting myself with Nymphadora here. I do hope I’ll be invited to the wedding,” Peter smirked.

Remus fought down the rising surge of anger from his werewolf side, as well as the worry and fear from his wizard one. He drew his wand, his mind working frantically to try and find a way to save Tonks. He peered cautiously out from behind his makeshift barrier. The limp form of his fiancé was slumped between two large masked death eaters. A small trickle of blood dripped down her face from a jagged wound near her left temple.

“’Dora!” Remus cried involuntarily. Wormtail laughed a nervous, mad sounding laugh.

“I’m afraid she’s currently unable to answer. We’ve spared her life for now, though. The Dark Lord thought that she’d be a nice reward for the werewolves who follow him, given her preferences for your kind,” Peter sneered.

With those words, Remus’ control snapped and the wolf took charge. He leapt over the table at the two death eaters holding his mate. Before they could react, he sent them both flying into the kitchen walls, where they slumped bonelessly to the floor, unconscious. Growling low in his throat, he turned and advanced on Wormtail. Peter’s eyes widened in fear, and he took an involuntary step back raising his wand.

“S-stay back,” Wormtail stuttered. With another growl, Moony knocked the wand from Peter’s trembling hand. Peter retreated farther, backing into the stove. Moony continued to stalk him.

Peter began to shake, too frightened to even transform. This was not the kind, gentle face of the former prefect turned professor. Peter recognized this face, however, and it filled him with fear. Remus’ normally soft, grey eyes had gone a hard amber color. His lips were drawn back in a feral snarl over teeth which had become noticeably sharper. With lightning quickness, Remus grabbed his former friend by the throat, slamming him against the wall, leaving his feet dangling off of the floor.

“Traitor,” he snarled, in a voice almost unrecognizable as Remus Lupin. “You betrayed us. You killed Prongs and broke Padfoot. You destroyed the pack. For twelve years I was alone, because of you. For twelve years I had no one, and now I have a pack again. I have a mate and you dare to try and destroy what is mine again. You dare to hurt her. For all of this, your life is forfeit.”

“R-r-remus… please… mercy,” Peter choked out gasping for air. Moony smiled a cold mockery of a smile. He increased his hold around the struggling man’s throat, ignoring the burns on his arms where Wormtail used his silver hand to try and claw his way free.

“Remus isn’t here right now. He’d show you mercy. I won’t. My face will be the last thing you see before you die. Padfoot and Prongs wait for you on the other side Wormtail. Maybe they will be merciful, but I wouldn’t count on it,” Moony growled.

He tightened his grip even further, crushing Peter’s windpipe with a sickening crunch. He watched in grim satisfaction as the traitor’s eyes bulged and his attempts to free himself became first more frantic, and then more feeble. With a wheezing gurgle, the last bit of life flowed from Peter and he was flung like a bit of rubbish against the wall. Moony released a roaring howl of victory, before turning away from Peter and sinking to the floor next to Tonks.

“It’s done. They have been avenged,” he growled, burying his face in his hands. When he raised it again, his eyes were no longer amber, but a stricken, pain-filled grey. Gently Remus lifted the wounded Tonks in his arms and strode with her to the living room. He laid her, for a moment, on the couch while he grabbed a handful of floo powder and flung it into the fireplace. Picking her up once more he entered the fire.

“Dumbledore,” he said, his voice hoarse and full of emotion. Cradling the still unconscious auror in his arms, he disappeared in a swirl of green flame.


Severus Snape prowled through the darkened halls of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He kept to the shadows, alert and wary for any sign that something was amiss, as Dumbledore had ordered. It was, he was certain, a fool’s errand that he had been sent on, all because Potter had a feeling. Snape gave a mental snort.

If the Dark Lord had been planning something as significant as an attack on Hogwarts, he would know. It was, after all, his sole purpose in the cursed existence he called a life to know what Voldemort was up to. He allowed himself a brief fantasy, in which Voldemort was defeated and he was somewhere quiet where he never again had to hear the name Potter, or Black, Lupin, Weasley, or Granger for that matter. A faint rustle of sound down the corridor snapped his wandering thoughts back into focus. He slipped soundlessly into a nearby alcove, as a small group of dark robed figures approached.

“How Malfoy put up with you, I’ll never know Goyle. Are you trying to alert the whole bloody castle about what is happening?” the voice of Marcus Parkinson hissed through the darkness.
“Draco would’ve cursed them by now,” Pansy drawled in a bored voice.

“Your beloved Draco is busy with another task just now sister dear,” Marcus said. Even in the dark, Snape could see the pout which appeared on the Slytherin girl’s face.

“I know. I should be with him, not that Patil girl,” she said icily.

“Perhaps you should bring that up with the Dark Lord when he arrives. I’m sure he’d be open to your suggestions. I thought you were more intelligent than that, however, besides, you know that you want a chance to shred Potter’s little D.A,” Marcus said.

“I suppose. I’d have thought you’d be sticking near the dungeons tonight, though, with the nice little reward that’s been put on the traitor’s head,” Pansy whispered.

“Use your head, Pansy. Dumbledore will, of course, be at the golden boy’s side, protecting him, so that’s where the spy will be too. No doubt Snape will be clinging to the old fool’s robes in fear once he realizes that he’s been found out,” Marcus replied.

Snape allowed the voices to fade down the corridor before stepping out from the shadows. A slight twitch of an eyelid was the only indication he gave that he had just heard a group of his beloved Slytherins plotting not only his demise, but a full scale invasion of the school. He turned and headed down the corridor towards the headmaster’s office, his robes billowing out behind him. He was nearly there when he heard, once more, a whisper in the darkness.

“Chocolate frogs? Fainting Fancies?” the voice said barely above a whisper. “Come on you stupid gargoyles. This is an emergency! Would you please open up?”

Snape couldn’t help but roll his eyes, as he silently added the name Longbottom to the list of names he hoped to never hear again. The only thing that could make this night worse would be for James Potter and Sirius Black to come strolling into the castle alive and well. He smirked to himself as he snuck up behind Neville. He had to allow himself the simple pleasures in life, after all. Scaring Longbottom senseless was one of them.

“Longbottom, I assume you have a good explanation for being out of bed after curfew and attempting to gain entrance to the headmaster’s office at nearly midnight?” he hissed. Neville jumped and gave a little squeak of surprise, whirling to face the potion’s master.

“P-professor Snape, I have to see the headmaster,” he said, his face pale, but determined. Snape sneered at him in contempt.

“And what could you possibly have to say that is so important as to disturb him at this time of night?” Snape asked, his voice soft and dangerous.

“It’s Malfoy, sir. He’s taken Ron and Hermione into the tunnels. Ginny and Harry have gone after them. Harry sent me to get help,” Neville said, more bravely than he felt.

“Didn’t he learn from playing the hero last time?” Snape muttered to himself, before pushing past Neville and saying, “Lemon Drop.”

The gargoyles sprang to life, revealing the revolving stairs which lead to the headmaster’s office. Grabbing Neville by the ear, he stepped on to them and ascended to the room above, where he knew Dumbledore was probably waiting.


Professor Albus Dumbledore stared into the swirling mists of his pensieve, watching James and Lily Potter twirling and dancing at their wedding reception, while he, a gently smiling Remus Lupin, a nervous looking Peter Pettigrew, and a laughing Sirius Black looked on. He shook his head at the cruel trick fate had played on all of them. Sirius had lost his laughter in Azkaban. Remus’ smile had not reached his eyes for nearly twelve years, until Sirius had escaped his prison and proven his innocence. Peter had betrayed them all… the only friends he had truly ever had. James and Lily had lost their lives, leaving Dumbledore to carry on and make decisions he never should have had to make.

He smiled sadly as he thought of the Potter’s only son Harry. Fate had played the cruelest trick of all on that young man. He’d grown up unloved, with no one to depend on. He’d grown close to Sirius, finally having someone he considered a father figure, only to have him ripped away, as well. It was miraculous that Harry had survived, let alone survived to become such a remarkably caring young man. Albus took none of the credit for the person that Harry was. He knew he had made horrific mistakes where the young man was concerned, not the least of which had been his choice of guardians for the orphaned infant.

When Remus Lupin had sent him word that night that Harry was sensing that Voldemort was preparing for something major, Albus had accepted it without question. He had ordered the staff, especially Minerva and Severus, to increase their patrols of the castle. He had also sent word to all of the core Order members to be ready. He had learned to trust it when Harry Potter had a feeling about something. It was now a waiting game.

He turned away from the pensieve, tiredly rubbing his eyes. Even with Harry’s warning, Dumbledore had felt that something was coming. The castle had been tensed for weeks. As headmaster, he was inextricably tied to the school’s innate magic. He could sense its ebb and flow. Its magic had been building since the attack on Hogsmede in February, as if the school could sense that it would be next.

The headmaster rose from his desk and walked to the perch where Fawkes sat. Gently, he ran a finger down the side of the bird’s neck. Fawkes trilled softly in response.

“You feel it too, don’t you old friend?” Dumbledore said. Fawkes’ only answer was a slight inclination of the head and a single crystalline tear which slid slowly through the plumage on his face.

The harsh grating of the gargoyles, which guarded the office’s entrance, moving alerted him to the arrival of Severus Snape, with an indignant looking Neville Longbottom in tow. Dumbledore turned to greet them.

“Professor Snape, Mr. Longbottom, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?” Dumbledore asked.

“It’s Potter, headmaster. He’s gone off to play the hero… again,” Snape hissed.

“He’s not playing the hero. He is the hero. He and Ginny have gone to save Ron and Hermione. Malfoy has them in the tunnel to Honeydukes, sir. Harry sent me to tell you and ask you to mobilize the Order. He said to guard the tunnels into the school. He thinks death eaters will be coming through there. He sent Seamus and Dean to wake up the D.A. members. He said to have them protect the younger students,” Neville said, momentarily forgetting his fear of the potions master.

“I’m afraid that Potter is correct, sir. In my patrols I overheard a group of students talking. It would seem that there will be an attack tonight. Those the death eaters have recruited from within the student body will be joining in. Apparently, the Dark Lord has put a price upon my head that some of my students are only too eager to claim,” Snape said bitterly.

As Dumbledore was processing this information, the fireplace in his office flared to life and a stricken looking Remus Lupin stumbled out with an unconscious Tonks in his arms. Dumbledore rushed to them in concern.

“Dilys, go fetch Poppy and Minerva. Remus? What’s happened?” he asked.

“Death eaters. She went to the kitchen to get a drink and there was a crash. They were there waiting. It was… Peter was there. I lost control. I tried to stop, but I couldn’t. Peter is dead. I killed him,” he said woodenly. Dumbledore conjured chairs for them all, forcing Remus to sit.

“You shouldn’t judge yourself too harshly, Remus. The man you knew as Peter Pettigrew has been gone for a long time, and you were defending the ones you love. I know this has been horrible for you, but I’m afraid there is more,” Dumbledore said softly. Remus’ eyes snapped up to meet Dumbledore’s.

“Harry… where is Harry?” Remus demanded.

“Draco Malfoy has kidnapped Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley and taken them into the tunnel under Honeydukes. Harry has gone after them,” Dumbledore told him.

“Why are we standing around here then? Why aren’t we helping him?” Remus demanded.

“Yes, by all means. We should just leave the castle undefended and go save Potter from another mess of his own making,” Snape said.

“Shut up, Snivellus,” Remus growled.

“Severus, Remus… enough,” the headmaster ordered.

Minerva and Madame Pomfrey rushed in then. Remus, torn between going after Harry and staying with Tonks, was relieved by Madame Pomfrey’s assurances that Tonks had certainly survived worse than a little bump on the head and would be fine. Reluctantly he allowed her to be taken to the hospital wing. He then joined the headmaster and Snape who were filling Professor McGonnagall in on all that had occurred this evening.

“Albus, what will we do? Even if we call up the entire Order, we hardly have people to spare to go after Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley,” Professor McGonnagall said.

“Harry is, I’m sure, aware of the situation, Minerva. Despite what he told Mr. Longbottom, I don’t believe that he expected any assistance,” Dumbledore said. “We will have to trust that he can extricate himself and the others from the hands of young Mr. Malfoy.”

“I’m going. They are Marauders. We protect our own,” Remus said simply. The headmaster shot him a sharp glance.

“Are you sure you are up to that?” he asked. Remus nodded.

“No one alive knows those tunnels better than I do,” he said grimly. “I will not leave them down there alone.”

A gasp from the corner had the whole group turning. A panic stricken Neville Longbottom was standing near a pile of ashes where Fawkes had stood.

“I didn’t do anything. I swear he just…” Neville choked out.

“It’s all right, Neville. Fawkes is a phoenix. It would seem that today is a burning day,” Dumbledore said. He closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them again, he looked every one of his considerable years. He walked over to the perch and carefully lifted the tiny baby Fawkes from the ashes in which it was reborn.



A/N: There you go. The next chapter should be posted as soon as this one goes up. I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks go out to my moderator Danielle and my son and beta William. Many, many thanks to all of you who have read, reviewed, and stuck by this story even though it is no longer cannon.

Next chapter… The Battle for Hogwarts
To the Rescue by Weasley Mom
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry and Ginny made their way down the tunnel as swiftly as the darkness and caution would allow. They kept a constant watch on the Marauder's Map, hoping against hope that they would reach the dots labeled Ron and Hermione before they disappeared from it. If Malfoy and Bellatrix got them to Hogsmede, they could take them anywhere. There was also the possibility that a whole cadre of death eaters was waiting for the signal that Harry had come to save his friends and would rush down the tunnel from the village to kill him and Ginny and attack the school. He was trying not to dwell on that possibility, however.

They had been in the tunnel for what seemed an eternity, when it started to rise and they began to catch brief whispers of murmured conversation in front of them. Harry paused before they got too close and turned to Ginny. He loved her more than he could ever remember loving anyone. He knew her very well though, and he knew that she would have a very hard time leaving him to fight alone.

"Ginny, promise me that when we get to them you will follow the plan exactly. You will not stay to help me, no matter what. Promise me that you'll get Ron, Hermione, and yourself out," he whispered, his green eyes boring intently into her brown. Ginny glared at him.

"I told you earlier that I would follow the plan, Potter. I don't like it, but I will follow it. Just promise me that you won't take any unnecessary chances," Ginny whispered back. Harry smiled tenderly at her, briefly placing one hand against her cheek.

"I solemnly swear," he said.

Harry took her hand, and they continued down the tunnel. As they came closer to their goal, the distant snatches of sound became clearer, and the distinctively haughty voice of Draco Malfoy could be heard. Beside him, he felt Ginny instinctively tense.

"It's amazing, really, how easy her mind was to overcome. She almost shook it off when we ordered her to kill her sister in February. Once we'd gotten her past that, it was childishly easy to get her to slip into Padma's shoes. She's been quite the fountain of information too. We have the names of all of Potter's Special Forces, and, of course, we might never have found out about Snape if it weren't for her," Draco sneered.

"That evil..." Ginny hissed, before Harry shushed her. As much as the conversation sickened him, it was his only source of information about exactly what they were walking into. He would not go blindly rushing to the rescue and get people killed as he had at the Ministry.

"You vile, sick piece of scum. That is the most disgu..." Hermione's voice was cut off abruptly by the sharp, distinctive sound of a slap, followed closely by Ron's bellow of outrage. Harry and Ginny rushed down the hall. As much as he needed information, he would not get it at the expense of Hermione's safety. They turned the corner of the tunnel, those they had been pursuing finally in sight. Hermione was sprawled, half sitting, on the floor, angrily rubbing a vicious looking red mark on her cheek. Her hair was in wild disarray around her face, and her eyes were glinting dangerously. Ron lay on the floor, bound tightly from his shoulders down. He'd obviously fought not to be taken, as he was sporting two black eyes and an obviously broken nose, as well as a long bloody scratch down the side of his face. He was straining against his bonds, nearly snarling in an effort to free himself.

"Keep your hands off of her, Malfoy. You touch her again and I will tear you to pieces," he shouted. Draco and Bellatrix laughed.

"And how exactly were you planning on doing that Weasel? I realize you're a bit slow, but surely even you have realized by now that you're tied up and wandless," Malfoy scoffed.

"Now that's a bit harsh, don't you think Malfoy?" Harry said slipping out from under the cloak's protection. "After all, Ron's not the one who was so dense as to actually think that he'd get away with kidnapping my two best friends. You really think you'd have learned not to mess me with me by now."

He gave the two death eaters his most arrogant James Potter smirk, smoothly shooting stunners in their direction. Bellatrix quickly dodged, dragging Draco with her.

"Oh look, Draco. Wittle baby Potter has come to pway! Awwww, how disappointing. You didn't bring any of your friends this time. I was rather hoping Longbottom would tag along with you. I do so hate loose ends. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make do," she sighed, shooting a jet of purple light in Harry's direction. He easily blocked it, and sent back a few spells of his own.

"The Dark Lord knew that'd you'd come to save you friends, Potty. It's ridiculously easy to manipulate you, as your mangy mutt of a godfather found out in the end," Malfoy sneered.

"Kick his arse, mate!" Ron cheered.

Harry allowed his anger to show on his face, letting them think he'd been goaded into losing control. He sent a barrage of spells at the two death eaters, who were now circling him. They were paying little or no attention to their hostages as they zoned in on Harry. It was exactly what he wanted. Voldemort was coming. Harry knew that now. They had to be gone before he got there. Silently, Harry willed Ginny to get them away, hoping she'd get Parvarti, who was sitting vacant eyed and whimpering near Hermione, as well. Harry saw, from the corner of his eye, as the ropes binding Ron loosened and he disappeared.

Harry's hands blurred with speed as he swung at Malfoy, forsaking magical combat for the more physical variety he'd longed for since the attack on Ginny at the beginning of the year. He knew the change in tactics would further distract Bellatrix and her protégé from his friends. The witch screeched as she attempted to hex Harry without hitting Draco. He smiled to himself as he saw first Hermione, and then Parvarti disappear under the cloak with Ron and Ginny.

He just needed to keep his opponents fully occupied for a few more minutes to make sure the others were well away, and then he would end this and follow them. He ducked Bellatrix's stunner, and kicked his foot out, catching Malfoy in the knee with a satisfying pop. He smiled in triumph, preparing to take out Bellatrix, when a burst of blinding pain shot through his scar and he sank to his knees, fighting to slam his mental shields back into place. He was dimly aware of Bellatrix's cackle of triumph.

"My master approaches, Potter. He has all ready brought you to your knees and soon your precious school will follow," she crowed.

Harry struggled to rise to his feet, only to be knocked back once more, as Malfoy's fist connected with his face. He clutched at his spinning head, struggling to keep the ever increasing pain in his scar at bay. Bellatrix exchanged a malicious smile with Draco.

"Poor baby Potter. Does him wittle head hurt? Let's see if we can make it better, Draco. Crucio!" she cried.

Harry struggled to get away as he felt the searing pain shoot through his body. Every nerve ending burned in agony. That pain became nothing, though, as he was hit with a second curse from Draco. The scream was ripped from his throat. Blackness began to close in on him. He could feel his grasp on reality slipping. Then from the darkness, he heard a hoarse shout, which he latched onto like a lifeline. Suddenly, blissfully, the pain was gone, the light was returning, and Bella and Draco were unconscious on the ground. He felt himself being turned over by a pair of gentle hands, and he looked up into a pair of anguished grey eyes.

"Moony?" he rasped, his throat raw from his screams.

"Oh thank Merlin! I thought I'd lost you too," Remus said, pulling him into a bone crushing hug worthy of Mrs. Weasley. "What the hell do you think you were doing, Harry? You should have waited for the Order. You scared at least ten years off of my life."

"You can lecture me later, Remus. Voldemort is coming. I can feel him. He’s going to attack the school," Harry said. Remus shot him an alarmed look.

"Are you able to stand?' the werewolf asked urgently.

"I think so," Harry replied.

He struggled, with his guardian's help to stagger to his feet. He tried to steady himself while Remus retrieved Ron and Hermione's wands from one of Malfoy's pockets. Harry cursed softly under his breath, as a fresh wave of pain went through his scar and he swayed on his feet. He could've sworn he heard Moony growl, before he was snatched up and carried down the tunnel at full speed.

"Put me down. I can walk," Harry said. His guardian merely shook his head, and continued running.

"Not fast enough, Harry. I know these tunnels like the back of my hand, and speed is of the essence. We've got to alert the castle before Voldemort gets there," Remus said.

They continued through the darkness. Harry was using all his concentration to control both the pain from the lingering affects of the cruciatus curse and the brief burning flashes as the Dark Lord tried to penetrate his mental shields. At last, they reached the tunnel's entrance. They burst through it right into the midst of a group of Order members led by Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Kingsley! You need to alert the Ministry. Voldemort is on his way. Harry’s been picking up on it. Malfoy and Bellatrix were down in the tunnels and who knows how many death eaters are in Hogsmede,” Remus said as he set Harry down.

"Voldemort?" Kingsley said, taking in both Harry's haggard appearance and Remus' urgency with a glance. "And we have no idea how many people he’s bringing against us?”

“A lot… dementors too. That’s why he kidnapped Ron and Hermione. He wanted me out of the way so I couldn’t drive back the dementors like I did at the Ministry,” Harry answered.

“How long do you think we have before he attacks?” Bill Weasley, who was amongst those accompanying Kingsley, asked.

“Not long… an hour at most,” Harry told them, swaying slightly on his feet.

“Bloody hell, that’s cutting it close,” Bill said. Kingsley nodded his agreement.

“I’m not sure how many people we’ll be able to get here, but we’ll do what we can. I hope your D.A. is as well trained as everyone keeps telling me. We may need them. In the meantime though, I think Harry needs to get to the hospital wing,” Kingsley said, casting Remus a significant look.

"No. This is my fight, Kingsley. He's coming for me. I'm not leaving," Harry said quietly as he visibly gathered himself. Bill shook his head, placing a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

"I know it's your fight Harry, but this isn't the time for you to fight it. When you face him, you need to at least be able to stand up without staggering. Go with Remus to the hospital wing. Ginny, Ron, and Hermione are there. They were frantic and wanted to go back into the tunnels after you. Dumbledore convinced them to let us go instead. I promised my sister that I'd bring you back safe. I have never broken a promise to her, and I don’t intend to start. Now go!" he ordered sounding very like his mum. He turned away from them then, and began placing sealing charms on the tunnels entrance. Kingsley, meanwhile, was pulling a small mirror from his pocket and using it to call for reinforcements. The other Order members began to take up defensive positions around the tunnel, in case the charms Bill was placing should fail.

Very reluctantly, Harry allowed himself to be led to the hospital wing. Every muscle he possessed screamed in agony with each step he took, but he refused to allow Remus to carry him again. He found himself staggering, and knew, loathe as he was to admit it, that Kingsley and Bill were right. Were he to face Voldemort just then, it would be a disaster.. As the doors to the infirmary came into sight, the sound of raised voices could be heard.

"You should not be out of bed yet," the unmistakable voice of Madame Pomfrey said sternly.

"I don't bloody care! Remus and Harry are in danger. If you think that some little bump on the head is going to stop me from protecting my family then you've gone mental, Poppy Pomfrey!" the voice of Nymphadora Tonks echoed down the corridor, followed closely by the determined sound of Hermione Granger.

"If Tonks is going, so are we."

"We're needed to fight, miss. We have to help," Ron said.

"I'm going if I have to blast the doors off their hinges to get there!" Ginny added.

"Now out of the way or I will be forced to stun you," Tonks growled as Harry and Remus pushed open the doors to see a harassed looking Madame Pomfrey with Tonks' wand being waved in her face. Ginny, Hermione, and Ron were standing behind Tonks, determined looks on their faces.

"Why don't you help me get Harry into bed instead, love" Remus said pushing the doors open and having to nearly carry Harry inside.

"Potter, what have you done to yourself now?" Madame Pomfrey asked, hands on her hips.

"He was hit with two simultaneous cruciatus curses," Remus told her, gently helping Harry to the bed.

"Two? He shouldn't even be alive after that. No one has ever survived something like that," Madame Pomfrey gasped, as Ginny paled and Ron and Hermione exchanged concerned glances. "Mental state?"

“I’m fine. Just sore. I really need to get to the D.A.,” Harry said, only to be interrupted by Remus.

"You’re not going anywhere until I say so, Harry,” Remus said before turning back to Madame Pomfrey. “He'll need something for the pain, and I'd say a rejuvenating potion of some sort, as well. I don't suppose you have any of that new one that McCormack over at St. Mungo's came up with for the aurors to use?”

Madame Pomfrey raised an eyebrow as she continued to examine Harry and grabbed various potions for him.

"Keeping up to date with the medical journals I see,” Madame Pomfrey said as she grabbed various potions. “You always were very diligent about that... best student I ever trained. It's a travesty what the Ministry did to you. You have a talent for healing, Remus.”

"Thank you, Poppy. That's in the past, now though. How is he?" Remus said, obviously wishing to change the subject.

"He is fine," Harry growled. "Just patch me up so I can go Madame. The school is about to be attacked. I need to be out there helping to defend it.”

"You'll do no such thing, Potter," Madame Pomfrey said, fixing him with a steely glare.

“She’s right, Harry. You are in no condition to fight,” Ginny said.

“It’s his decision, Ginny,” Ron said. Hermione glared at him, obviously disagreeing with her boyfriend’s assessment.

“Do you want him to go out and get killed, Ronald?” she asked.

“Yes, Hermione. I want my best friend, who just saved both of us from torture, if not death, to get killed,” Ron said sarcastically. “Of course I don’t want anything to happen to him. Voldemort is coming, though. You know as well as I do that Harry would never be able to live with himself if he didn’t fight and people died,” Ron said, falling into their familiar argumentative pattern in their fear and worry.

“Would you two stop talking about me as though I’m not here please?” Harry asked. “Gin, I know you’re worried, but you knew before we started dating that my life is not completely my own. I have to fight tonight. I know I do.”

“I’m afraid, Miss Weasley, that Mr. Potter is right. He is going to be needed, though not to fight Voldemort, not tonight at any rate.”

Those assembled turned towards the source of the sound. The headmaster stood framed in the doorway of the hospital wing. Professor Snape stood slightly behind him holding several thin vials of potion. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, unconsciously, moved closer to Harry; the latter taking a protective stance in front of him. Harry saw Remus and Tonks exchange a worried glance, however, they obviously decided to hear the headmaster out. Madame Pomfrey, on the other hand, put both hands on her hips and glared at both Dumbledore and Snape.

“Headmaster, you cannot be serious. Potter is suffering the effects of two cruciatus curses. That he is alive is nothing short of a miracle. You honestly don’t expect him to help to defend the castle do you?” Madame Pomfrey said, the tone of her voice speaking loudly of her outrage.

“Yes, Poppy. I do,” he said simply.

“I will not be a party to this,” Madame Pomfrey sniffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I understand, Poppy. Severus, if you would.” Snape stepped forward handing one of the potions to Harry, as Madame Pomfrey stormed off to her office, slamming the door behind her.

“Drink it, Potter,” he ordered. Before Harry could raise the bottle to his lips, however, Remus laid a restraining hand on his arm.

“What is it?” Lupin asked. His eyes narrowed in suspicion as he looked at the potions master.

“Oh for Merlin’s sake Lupin! As much as I loathe the boy, do you honestly believe I would poison him with Dumbledore in the same room?” Snape snarled contemptuously.

“I did not say that you would, Severus. I merely asked what it was,” Remus replied mildly. Snape opened his mouth to answer, his eyes flashing darkly. The headmaster cut him off.

“As much as I know you two enjoy baiting each other, we do not have time for it right now. Answer him Severus,” Dumbledore said.

“It is a restorative to replenish his magical energy levels,” Snape bit out. Harry waited for Remus’ nod of approval before downing the potion in a single gulp.

“Eurgh!” Harry couldn’t help but shudder. Snape smirked coldly.

“This one will restore your physical energy levels,” the professor said. At Remus’ nod, Harry drank this one down grimacing. The potion’s master handed him the last one.

“This one is to rid his body of the remainder of the cruciatus curse. It has a rather… unpleasant initial effect,” he said, handing the blood red potion to Harry.

Grimly, he threw back his head and poured the potion Snape had given him down his throat. He felt it burn it’s way down to his stomach, felt the excruciating pain as it’s effects spread throughout him and his body seized. His heart pounded in his chest and he couldn’t draw breath. Ginny saw him grab at his chest and her eyes widened in fear.

“Harry!” Ginny shouted. “Someone help!”

“What the hell was in that potion Snape?” Remus said, grabbing Snape by the front of the robes. Hermione started to fetch Madame Pomfrey, while Ron seemed torn between comforting a panicked looking Ginny and pummeling Snape.

“No, I’m fine. Let him go,” Harry gasped as the effects passed leaving him feeling surprisingly normal and pain free. Remus eyed his ward with concern, but released his childhood enemy.

“Are you sure, Harry?” Hermione said, looking dubious. Harry nodded.

“Although, it definitely qualified as unpleasant,” Harry said, turning to the headmaster. “What is it you need me to do, sir?”

“Traditionally Harry, Hogwarts has been thought to be the most secure building in Britain. This stems primarily from the fact that the wards around the castle have never been breached. That’s not to say that it cannot be done. If enough is thrown against them, they will fall, unless they can be bolstered,” Dumbledore said significantly.

“That’s what you want me to do isn’t it? Help you to sustain the castle’s defenses?” Harry asked.

“No, Harry. I do not want you to help me with it. I want you to sustain them on your own,” Dumbledore said.

“Albus, you honestly don’t think that Harry can do that do you? Not by himself,” Remus protested.

“Yeah,” Tonks agreed. “I know he’s powerful, but that’s some very complicated magic. We learned about the castle’s defenses in auror training. The founders set those wards.”

Harry himself had many of those same thoughts. He didn’t even begin to know how to do what the headmaster asked of him.

“What do I need to do?” he asked warily.

“When the founders set up the castle’s defenses, they put in certain emergency measures which allow the wards to be tied into a single person and sustained by their magic. Usually it’s the headmaster who does this, however, this time I believe it needs to be you.”

“Me?” Harry asked. “Why me? You have more experience with this sort of thing. I would not even know where to begin. Besides, I’m not nearly as powerful as you, sir.”

“That is not true, Harry. I am no more powerful than you, just more experienced. We both have the power to hold the wards in place, only one of us, however, can generate a shield which can destroy dementors,” Dumbledore replied. “The heads of each house and I will actually do the spell to confer control of the shields to you. Once this has been done, you’ll be forced to concentrate solely upon that. We will ensure your safety.”

“We’ll keep you safe mate. No one will come near you with us there,” Ron said bravely. Hermione and Ginny stood to either side of him, in obvious agreement. Dumbledore merely shook his head.

“The Order will stand with Harry tonight. You three have roles to play elsewhere,” Dumbledore said. “My army needs its leaders. As Harry will be occupied, it is up to you to insure that the D.A. is ready when the time comes. Mr. Weasley, you are in charge in Harry’s stead. I believe you’ll find your troops assembled in the room of requirement.” Ron gave the headmaster an incredulous look.

“I’m not sure…” he began, shaking his head. He was interrupted by Harry.

“Ron… you can do this. You’re better at strategy than anyone I know. People will follow you and listen to you,” Harry told him. Ron stood a little straighter at Harry’s words, and gave a determined nod.

“Any orders, General?” Ron asked, a half smile on his face. Harry grinned at him.

“Keep that red head of yours down, and don’t be afraid to ask Hermione or Ginny for advice. Good luck mate, and be careful,” he said, pulling Ron into a brotherly hug, which soon included Hermione.

“Be careful, Harry,” Hermione said.

“You too, and make sure Ron doesn’t do anything stupid,” he added.

“She always does, whether I want her to or not,” Ron grinned. They finally broke their embrace and Harry turned to Ginny.

“I love you,” he said simply. Ginny smiled, although her eyes were suspiciously bright.

“I know. I love you too. If you get yourself killed though, I will never forgive you,” she said, her voice husky.

“We’ll keep him safe, Ginny. I promise,” Tonks said from where she stood near Lupin.

“Touching as this all is, we really should get the spell done, unless, of course, Potter’s love life is more important than the safety of all of the other students in the castle,” Snape said acidly. Remus glared at him.

“They’re kids, Severus, and we’re asking them to put their lives on the line tonight. I think they’re entitled to a little time,” he said.

“I agree, Remus. Most unfortunately however, we have allowed them all the time we can. Let us go,” Dumbledore said, turning and leading the way out of the hospital wing.

A/N: Another chapter down. I hope you enjoyed it. Next chapter will go up ASAP. Thanks as always go to my son Will for beta-ing and Danielle for moderating. Huge thank yous as well to all of my fabulous and faithful readers and reviewers. You guys rock!

Next chapter: The Battle for Hogwarts(really this time… the hospital wing scene took on a life of its own and ended up way longer than I had planned) and yes… the character death I keep threatening (no Pettigrew was not the one I meant).
Fall of the Phoenix by Weasley Mom
All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

Harry stood in the castle's entryway, impatiently awaiting the return of Professor Snape with the other three heads of house and Dumbledore with members of the Order who'd be acting as his guard. His thoughts whirled in his head as his mind tried to catch up with all that had occurred this evening. It seemed impossible that just a few short hours ago he and Ginny had been on their date, and now she, along with his two best friends, was in the room of requirement preparing to defend the castle against death eaters. He couldn't help but wonder if he would see them all alive again. He realized then, with startling clarity, that he was much better at charging into battle then waiting on the edge of it. To distract himself, he turned to speak with Remus and Tonks.

"So Tonks, how'd you wind up in the hospital wing this time?" he asked.

It had become sort of a running joke between them how many different ways the auror could land herself under Madame Pomfrey's care. Harry was suprised to see Tonks pale and the look of anger flash across Remus' face. Harry looked back in forth between them, his eyes narrowed.

"This wasn't one of your usual accidents, was it? What happened?" he demanded. Tonks opened her mouth to answer, but Remus beat her to it.

"Death eaters came to the Shrieking Shack," he said quietly. Tonks layed a comforting hand on his arm.

"I had gone to the kitchen for some chocolate. They were there waiting. One of them koshed me over the head with something. I'm not sure what happened then. I woke up to Poppy's fussing. Ginny and the others came in a little while later and told me that you were alone in the tunnels with Malfoy and Bellatrix and that Remus had gone after you. You know the rest, from my point of view anyway," Tonks said all in a rush, as if she did not wish to think about it.

"I heard the crash when 'Dora fell. I went to check on her. Two of them were holding her between them. I didn't know if she was dead or alive. Peter was with them," Remus said. His voice was harsher than Harry had ever heard it, and his eyes were a cold, flat amber.

"The rat?" Harry growled. Remus nodded.

"He thought he had me beaten. He thought that with the odds three to one in his favor, that he would finally finish what he started. He was wrong," Moony snarled. Tonks and Harry exchanged a worried glance.

"Remus, love, what happened?" she asked gently.

"He'd already taken so much from me. He was going to turn you over to the dark werewolves who follow Voldemort. There was no way that I would let that happen. No way that we would let that happen," Remus said. "He will not hurt anyone ever again."

"Oh, Remus," Tonks said, her eyes misty with tears. She pulled him into her arms, and he leaned into her absorbing her comfort.

"Merlin, 'Dora. I killed him. He was my friend once, and I killed him. I strangled him with my bare hands while he begged for mercy. I'm no better than he was," he choked. The amber was gone from his eyes now. They were, instead, a mournful gray.

"Remus, look at me," Tonks commanded. "You did not kill Peter. The Peter you knew has been dead longer than James and Lily. You killed the death eater who destroyed your friend Peter, who betrayed James and Lily, sentenced Sirius to twelve years of hell, and took away Harry's childhood. In a way, you saved Peter, freed him from what he had become."

"She's right Moony," Harry said quietly. Remus shook his head in denial, but further conversation was halted by the return of Professors Dumbledore and Snape, accompanied by the three other heads of house, Moody, Kingsley, Hagrid, and all of the Weasleys except for Ron, Ginny, and Molly.

"I believe we are ready to start," Dumbledore said solemnly. "Harry, how much do you know about the founding of Hogwarts?" Harry's mind frantically scrambled for every piece of information that Hermione had ever quoted from Hogwarts, A History.

"Well, I know about the founders, obviously, but not much beyond that," Harry admitted. Snape snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Paying attention in History of Magic is too much for you Potter? " he sneered. Remus glared at the potions master, while Dumbledore shot him a stern look and continued.

"What we are about to do is very ancient magic which was set up by the founders themselves. For the most part, the wards are self sustaining and unbreachable, however, the Founders knew that if enough magic were brought to bear, the wards would fall. To insure that this never happened, the founders chose a Protector. They each gave a blessing to the young man they had chosen, making him extremely powerful. His magic was then bound to that of the castle. Every generation, a new Protector arises, chosen by his predecessor. The Protector must be an extraordinary witch or wizard. They must be strong of heart and mind, and possess enough magic to sustain the castle's defenses in times of strife. Once the blessings are bestowed upon him, or her, they are bound to the castle until they pass their title on to another. As long as the Protector stands, Hogwarts will not fall."

"Sir, who is the Protector now?" Harry asked, sure that he knew the answer.

"I am," Dumbledore smiled. "Tonight, that title shall pass to you."

"But, wouldn't it make more sense for you to keep the title? You know what you're doing. I don't," Harry argued. Dumbledore shook his head.

"Voldemort knows that I am the Protector, Harry. He will not expect me to pass the power on to you. It is not something he can comprehend. He would never surrender power for the greater good," the headmaster answered. Harry nodded.

"I see," he said turning it over in his mind. He couldn't help but feel that he was missing something important, but knew that time was running short. "What do you need me to do?"

"As I said earlier, the heads and I shall be doing most of the work. You just need to open yourself to accept it. I warn you, the castle can be a bit overwhelming at first. You'll be unable to do much but allow her use of your magic for a time. We will be here to defend you until your magic and mind have adjusted," Dumbledore said, indicating the Order members surrounding them. Harry saw them giving him supportive smiles and nods of encouragement.

"All right," he said, somewhat nervously.

Dumbledore led Harry to the very center of the room. He and the heads of each house formed a circle around the green-eyed young man. The Order members formed a larger protective circle around them. Harry could feel their silent support.

"Harry James Potter, child of James Harold and Lily Rose Potter, ward of Remus John Lupin, member of the house of Gryffindor, do you freely accept the burden that we are about to place upon you?" Dumbledore asked in strangely formal tones.

"I do," Harry answered gravely.

"Very well then. Let the gifts be given," the headmaster intoned. Professor Sprout stepped forward then, placing her hand lightly upon Harry's head.

"The blessings of Helga Hufflepuff I gladly give to you. Loyalty, friendship, sacrifice, and a heart forever true," the plump witch intoned. Her hand on Harry's head glowed a bright yellow for a moment before she stepped back. Harry was aware of a caring warmth surrounding him, rather like one of Mrs. Weasley's hugs, except that this seemed to eminate from the castle itself. Professor Flitwick stepped forward then, levitating himself and placing a small hand upon Harry's head.

"The blessing of Rowena Ravenclaw upon you I do bestow. Curiosity, intelligence, wisdom, and the thirst to always know" Flitwick said. His normally excited, squeaky voice was solemn. His hand flashed bright blue upon Harry's head. Harry felt his mind open, felt connections and knowledge being accessed which had lain dormant. Professor Flitwick stepped back, and Professor Snape stepped forward placing his hand upon Harry's head.

"The blessings of Salazaar Slytherin I give to you this day. Cunning, stealth, ambition, and the will to find the way," he said. His voice was strong and sure and completely lacking it's usual venom. His hand flared green upon Harry's head. He felt the bond of the castle grow within him. He could clearly see in his mind every hidden passage, every secret door. It was like having the Marauders Map inside his head. Snape stepped back, and McGonnagall stepped forward, placing her hand upon his head.

"The blessings of Godric Gryffindor flow to you from my hand. Courage, strength, honor, and the power to save the land," McGonnagall said quietly, her stern voice gentle. A bright red light poured forth from her fingers, making Harry look briefly like a Weasley. He felt a surge of power and strength arise within himself, accompanied by an almost unbearable tension. He felt as if he were coming apart at the seams from the amount of magic which had been bestowed upon him. McGonnagall stepped back, and Dumbledore stepped forward, placing both of his hands upon Harry's head.

"Fair Hogwarts and her people, I charge you to protect, with courage, cunning, loyalty, and with intellect. Tis now your solemn duty, to do what's in your power, to serve her both in good times, and in her darkest hour. The mantle of Protector, to you I freely give. I surrender what was mine that Hogwarts may yet live," Dumbledore said.

A column of bright golden light rose from the headmaster's hands where they lay upon Harry's head. Harry felt the shift of power for an instant, before it seemed to explode out of him. Dumbledore's golden light changed to a column of Harry's green fire, as the headmaster stumbled back, dropping to his knees. Harry felt the castle pulling him, connecting him to her and to all of the people within. He was adrift as sensation after sensation pelted his mind and body. He lost all control of himself and his magic as he was, literally lifted off the floor. He was dimly aware of the concerned murmurs of those around him. He would have reassured them if he could have. He was completely incapable of doing so at the moment, however.

"Albus! Are you all right?" Professor McGonnagall asked, her concern plainly written upon her face as she and Snape helped him to his feet.

"I'm fine, Minerva, just give me a moment please," Dumbledore answered.

"Is that supposed to happen?" Fred Weasley asked staring in wonder at Harry, who was floating several inches off the floor his arms open wide and his head thrown back. Harry's emerald eyes were moving rapidly back and forth beneath his closed lids.

"Yes, Mr. Weasley. The castle is adapting Harry to its magic. Until it is done, he is completely helpless, which is why we are here," Dumbledore said tiredly.

"I'm not sure I understand about that exactly. If Harry's keeping the wards up, why are we worried about Voldemort?" George Weasley asked. Snape rolled his eyes.

"Use your head, Weasley. The Dark Lord will come through the tunnels to bring down the wards so that his army can come through. Do you think it mere happenstance that death eaters have been in both tunnels this evening?" Snape sneered.

As if in answer, a group of aurors burst through the castle's front doors. The leader went immediately to Kingsley, saluting smartly.

"Sir, a group of death eaters has been spotted coming up through the willow. We also have reports of an extremely large group of them coming this way from Hogsmede. They have dementors with them. They..." the auror broke off and his eyes widened as he spotted Harry. "Merlin is that..."

"Thank you, Jenkins," Kingsley said, cutting him off. "That will be all."

"Yes, sir," Jenkins said, returning back to the school grounds with one last look at Harry. All of the assembled Order members had tensed at the auror's announcement.

"What now?" Arthur Weasley asked, voicing what they were all thinking.

"Now," Dumbledore said, "we wait."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron nervously paced in front of the assembled D.A. members, clearing his throat. This was the point where Harry would give an inspiring speech about how it was their duty to defend the school, about the choices between right and wrong. Harry was off doing something to increases the castle's defenses, however, and he, Ronald Billius Weasley, life long second banana, had been left in charge. Dumbledore believed in him. Harry believed in him. They had both obviously cracked under the pressure and gone completely mental. He glanced over to where Neville, Luna, Ginny, and Hermione stood. The all had looks of confidence on their face and kept giving him encouraging nods and smiles. They apparently believed he could do this as well. He added their names to the list of people who needed to be rooming with Lockhart.

Strategy was something Ron understood. He could look at something, see the big picture, and know what needed to be done. He was not the sort to inspire others to follow him. He was not the hero. Harry was. He was the hero's best friend, but right now, the hero was battling to save the castle and all of those in it. Right now Ron's best friend, the hero, needed his help, and he, despite all of his self doubt, was going to do his damndest to give it to him. He took a deep breath and looked out over the sea of faces.

"I know there are probably a thousand rumors flying around right now about why we're here in the middle of the night," Ron began. A chorus of questions arose from those gathered in the room.

"Are they true?" Lavender Brown hollered.

"Is He -Who-Must-Not-Be-Named coming?" a fifth year Hufflepuff whose name Ron couldn't remember asked.

"Where the bloody hell is Potter?" one of the few Slytherins in the room demanded. Ron ignored them all and continued.

"I know you are probably scared and wondering where Harry is. I'd like to be able to tell you that all of the rumors are false, that we're assembled for a giant end of term party, and that Harry is just off fetching some firewhiskey from Madame Rosemerta. Unfortunately, that's just not the case. Most of the rumors are true, Voldemort is coming, and Harry is out putting his arse on the line to save ours just like he always does," Ron paused to give this time to sink in.

"I know you're scared," he repeated. "We all are. Let's face it, we're just a bunch of kids. We should all be sleeping right now, dreaming of what we'd like to be doing this summer, but we're not. Our world is at war. Our friends and family are in danger. We're in danger. We have a chance to do something about it, though. Here, tonight, we can help to shape the future of our world. If Hogwarts falls tonight, Voldemort takes a giant step towards gaining control. I'm not willing to see that happen. I will fight and die, if necessary, to stop it. I cannot and will not make that decision for everyone though. We'll be facing death-eaters and, in some cases, fellow students who have joined Voldemort. We may be killed and we may be forced to kill. If anyone feels that they cannot deal with that, you are free to go. You can return to your common rooms and help the professors to calm the younger students. No one will think any less of you."

Ron stopped and looked around. He was both pleased and proud to see not one D.A. member heading towards the door. They all wore expressions of mingled determination and fear, but they stood their ground. He allowed himself to relax a little. The tough part was over. The rest was just strategy. That was something Ron knew he could do.

"All right then," he said. "We'll be breaking up into four groups, just as Harry practiced with us. Luna and Neville will lead the first one. You will be defending the area near the dungeons. Susan and Justin, you'll take your group and guard the hospital wing. If they aren't injured, they don't get in. Hermione, Ginny, and I will have the next group. We'll be guarding the area near the Great Hall. The last group will be divided between the four common rooms and will be under the supervision of the heads of house. You'll be the last line of defense and protection for the younger students. If things start to go bad, get as many out as you can. Any questions?" Silence was his only response. He nodded.

"In that case, go and good luck," Ron said. As people began to file out of the room, a beaming Hermione and Ginny rushed over to Ron. Hermione threw her arms around him, blinding him in a sea of bushy hair.

"That was brilliant, Ron. Absolutely perfect," she said.

"You've outshone them all, you know. Not one of our brothers could have done that better, Ron," Ginny said quietly, pride showing in her face.

Ron felt himself blush and knew that the tips of his ears were probably bright scarlett. He couldn't help the small smile that briefly crossed his face. Maybe, just maybe, Harry and Dumbledore weren't completely mental after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Severus Snape made his way cautiously through the corridors leading to his dungeons and the Slytherin common room, staying to the shadows. He'd refused to put a disillusionment charm on himself as McGonnagall suggested or to borrow Moody's invisibility cloak. The day he, Severus Snape, the head of Slytherin and long time spy for the Order, hid from his own students was the day he suddenly started dressing in bright colors and allowed that idiot metamorphmagus to dye his hair flourescent orange. It was ridiculous, despite what he'd heard the Parkinson brats discussing. A slight scuffling of feet ahead of him in the corridor had him pausing to peer, eyes narrowed, into the gloom. He inched his way closer to the sound. Whoever thought that they would be able to spring a trap on him was in for a rude awakening. After silently moving down the corridor a little further, encountering nothing, and deciding that he'd most likely imagined whatever it was, he found himself surrounded by a ring of dark robed figures.

"Hello Professor," drawled a voice from the darkness. "We thought perhaps you'd make your way down here. Sorry I haven't been to class all year. I was unavoidably detained elsewhere." Snape tensed. He recognized the voice of his former and favorite student, Draco Malfoy. He decided to brazen through.

"Draco, what are you doing here? Our master would be much better served by you helping him rid this world of that old fool Dumbledore then by standing down here exchanging pleasantries with me," Snape hissed.

"Our master, Professor?" Draco murmured before laughing coldly. "I hardly think that my master needs help to destroy Dumbledore, whereas he would be delighted for me to bring him the head of the traitor in our ranks."

"Traitor? I thought we had laid that issue to rest long ago," Snape said.

"Awwww... Sevvy.... are you feeling unloved?" said one of the other figures, cackling madly.

"Hello Bella. Can't you reign the boy in?" Snape asked. "Dumbledore nearly had the entire Ministry in those tunnels looking for Potter and his little friends . Where would our Master's plan have been then?"

"Sticking it out until the bitter end are we?" Bellatrix asked. "We know you're the spy Snape. Our little birdie told us." Snape rolled his eyes, pretending frustration he wasn't feeling.

"That would be because no one bothered to tell me the Patil girl was the spy. Of course I allowed her to think that I was working with the Order. It would be pretty hard for me to spy on Dumbledore if I walked around in my robes and mask declaring my true allegiance to everyone now wouldn't it?" he snapped at her.

"You know, Severus. I almost believe you. Unfortunately for you, however, my master prefers to know where his servants' loyalties lay. Yours are just too uncertain. Avada...." Belltrix started to form the words of the death curse.

"Expelliarmus!"someone shouted, sending the unprepared LeStrange careening into a nearby statue.

Snape turned stunned eyes to see Neville Longbottom, of all people, leading a large group of students towards the assembled death eaters. Spells whistled around the shocked professor felling about half of the robed figures before they could react. The rest began to fire back at the students, who, much to Severus' amazement, were doing exceptionally well.

Before he knew what was happening, Longbottom had grabbed him and pulled him into a sheltering alcove. That's when it hit him... his life had just been saved, by Neville Longbottom. The boy whom he had ridiculed and tormented from his first day at the school was defending him. The moon faced young man was looking at him in concern.

"Are you all right sir?" he asked with none of his usual stammer.

"When the hell did that happen?"Snape couldn't help but think to himself. Stuttering, stammering Longbottom had grown up. He was no longer intimadated by him. He had, in fact, saved his life. Some days it just didn't pay to get out of bed.

"Twenty points from Gryffindor, Longbottom for manhandling a professor," Snape snapped, striding back towards the battle with his wand drawn. Neville shook his head.

"I'll take that as a Yes, Neville. I'm brilliantly healthy. Thanks for saving my life," Neville muttered before he joined his potions master in attempting to subdue the remaining death-eaters, who were now being assisted by a large cluster of older Slytherin students.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remus Lupin stood shoulder to shoulder with Tonks, the Weasleys, and the other Order members. In the distance he could hear the shouts and sound of battle and smell the stench of blood. It was taking every ounce of strength he possessed to reign in his other half. The wolf knew there was a battle and wanted to join it. It was always like this for him in these situations, perhaps even more so today. Absolutely everyone he loved and cared for was involved in this fight. They could all face death... his mate, his pack, his students, and those he considered family.

His eyes flicked to where Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and their forces stood, guarding the hallways off of the entryway and the Great Hall. Dumbledore should have known that he'd be unable to keep those four away from Harry if they thought he needed them. Remus tensed as silence descended outside the castle doors.

"Albus..." he warned, as with a sharp boom the doors were blasted inward showering them with bits of wood and debris.

Dark robed figures seemed almost to pour through the castle entrance shooting spells as they went. Remus returned their fire, grinning as he saw one of the Weasley twins tossing a dark bomb into the oncoming black swarm. Several of them crumpled to the ground, stunned. He allowed the wolf free reign as one death eater, bolder than most, made a run at Harry. Grabbing the man by the neck, he flung him against the wall and heard a distinct crunch.

"Small group," Tonks snorted as she disarmed the closest opponent. "If this is a small group how big is a large one?" He grinned at her, taking down two more.

"Bigger than this apparently," he murmured, as he saw Ginny Weasley stun a death eater who was sneaking up behind her father.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Dumbledore as he strode purposefully through the battling forces. He stopped in front of the gaping door as a menacing snakelike figure stepped through.

"Dumbledore, come to welcome me back to my old alma mater? " Voldemort hissed.

"Hardly, Tom. I believe that I have made it clear before that you are not welcome here for as long as you walk the path you currently take," Dumbledore said calmly.

"Still trying to bring me back to the road of the good and righteous? Poor Tom Riddle...so very lost," Voldemort laughed coldy. "Why don't you just surrender this pile of rocks? We'll let the purebloods live. You could save so many of your precious students."

"My students are more than capable of saving themselves, Tom, as you can see," Dumbledore said, smiling merrily at the Dark Lord. Indeed, a large number of the death eaters who had burst into the castle seemed to be down or wandless, though whether they had fallen to the D.A. or the Order was uncertain.

"Are they really, Dumbledore?" Voldemort laughed flicking his hand, sending several of the students who were battling nearby flying into the doors of the Great Hall with a sickening thud. "Are you quite sure they are all capable of saving themselves?"

A second flick of his hand and Remus felt himself lifted up and away from Harry and thrown across the room. He noticed he was not the only one of Harry's guardians to be so treated. Remus struggled frantically to rise, but he couldn't so much as twitch his big toe as Voldemort advanced on the boy he loved as if he were his own son.

"I must say I am suprised. I would never have thought that you'd be willing to use the boy this way, draining his power to support the castle. You've left him so delightfully helpless," the Dark Lord smirked. "I could snuff him out like a candle right now. Do you honestly believe that you can use his magic to defeat me and keep the wards up to save your precious students from my dementors?"

In answer, Dumbledore sent a shower of golden light streaming at Voldemort which was hastily blocked. Spells flew back in forth between the two wizards at an amazing pace. Even Moody and Remus, both veterans of many battles during the first war, watched in amazement as they dueled. So caught up in the battle taking place were they, that no one noticed as Harry's eyes snapped open and his fingers gave the slightest of twitches.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was floating, blissfully adrift. He could feel the castle and all of its inhabitants. He watched over them as scene after scene played out in his mind like a muggle television show. With the merest flicker of thought, the castle would show him whatever he most needed to see. He watched, nearly bursting with pride, as Ron stood in his place and lead the frightened but determined D.A . He saw the terror in the faces of the younger students as they were herded to safety by their heads of house. He watched as Molly Weasley helped Madame Pomfrey prepare for the injured which were sure to come streaming in. He heard as a sobbing Parvarti Patil was comforted by her parents and eventually sedated. He gazed in wonder at Neville and Snape, standing side by side as the dungeons were cleared. He smiled in satisfaction as Ginny and Hermione easily took down Pansy and Marcus Parkinson. He saw Remus, Tonks and the Order fighting to defend him.

At the same time, he could feel the barriers the school and his magic had erected being tested. He could feel the cold anger of the dementors as they were denied their prey. He heard their screams of pain as they collided with the green flames with which he protected Hogwarts and those within. He sensed the impatience of the death-eaters who were forced to remain outside the school until the wards were dropped. Then he felt him.

The enemy was inside his school. Tom Riddle had once belonged to Hogwarts, been a part of it. He wasn't any longer. He felt the castle's magic shift as Dumbledore stepped out to meet Voldemort. It was then that Harry realized what he had been missing. Voldemort believed that Dumbledore was still Hogwarts' Protector. The Dark Lord believed that the only way to destroy Hogwarts was to destroy Dumbledore. The headmaster was offering himself up as a sacrifice to save the castle... to save Harry. He began to struggle. He would not, could not let the headmaster do this.

"Harry, stop. I have chosen this path. With my death, my magic shall become one with the school and you shall be able to use it to expell Voldemort," Dumbledore's voice sounded in his head even as Harry saw him exchanging spells with the Dark Lord.

" No! I will not lose anyone else that I love," Harry countered.

"Harry, I will always be here with you, even when my body is dead. I am old. My time has come and gone. I pass the torch onto you. Protect them and help them to deal with my passing. I love you," the headmaster's voice echoed in his head and was gone. Harry's heart broke and bled. He felt the warmth of tears running down his face and he allowed himself to mourn as he watched what he knew were his mentor's final moments.

Dumbledore sidestepped a curse Voldemort had aimed his way, whirling and placing himself in front of Harry as a jet of green raced towards him. Harry heard the gasps as the light struck the headmaster directly in the chest, and he was briefly illuminated before crumpling, lifeless to the ground.

Harry saw the gleem of triumph on the evil snakelike face as his cold laughter chilled the room. The Dark Lord's triumph was short lived, however, as a golden light burst forth from Dumbledore's body. It seemed to fill the room with warmth and the scent of lemon drops before it poured into the column of green fire which surrounded Harry. Those assmebled watched in amazement as both Harry and the flames surrounding him began to glow with the golden light which gradually grew brighter and brighter until even Voldemort was forced to look away and take an involuntary step back. When the light died down, they saw Harry crouched, almost catlike in the center of the room.

He rose then, drawing himself to his full height. He seemed to have grown over the course of the night. He stood nearly as tall as Voldemort and he could feel the chained strength in his muscles that he knew he had not possessed before. Harry forced his mind away from the inexplicable changes in his body, from his aching loss, and from the quiet sobs coming from his friends and family in the room. He concentrated instead on his enemy.

"I believe that you were told to leave. You are not welcome here Tom Riddle," Harry said, his voice deadly quiet. Voldemort laughed chillingly.

"Your protector is gone, Potter. I have killed the great Albus Dumbledore. He has been driven from this school by me. The wards will fall and your friends will lose their lives and their souls to me and mine. You might as well surrender now," he hissed. Harry shook his head.

"I've told you before, Albus Dumbledore will never be gone from this school, Tom. He is a part of it, as am I. Hogwarts will not fall this day, and I shall never surrender to you. Now, get your miserable snakey arse out of my school," Harry growled, sending a wave of golden fire at the Dark Lord pushing him out the gaping door and onto the school grounds. Harry followed him, the air around him crackling with his magic.

Harry stepped out onto the school's grounds to a scene of chaos. The lawn was littered with the dead, both aurors and death-eaters. The sky above the castle roiled with darkness as clouds of dementors swarmed the perimeter of the shields. Smiling grimly, he concentrated on the wards and murmured the incantation for the patronus charm. Bright golden light flared around the school as the dementors screamed and sizzled. Those closest to the light withered away to an inky black fog. The remaineder broke away, fleeing the school and the painful light.

With the dementors gone, Hogwarts' defenders came out in full force. Charging from the Forbidden Forest with Grawp and a horde of acromantulas, came Hagrid who had been dispatched there by Dumbledore as soon as the spell had been cast upon Harry. After them came a herd of centaurs, who shot arrow after arrow into the death eaters' ranks, forcing the dark robed wizards to fall back towards Hogsmede. Smiling, a hauntingly familiar twinkle in his eyes, Harry turned to face Voldemort who was staring in disbelief at his crumbling forces.

"You seem to be losing allies rapidly Tom," Harry said calmly, wishing he could end it here, but knowing that the safety of the school and the maintenance of the wards had to be his first priority right now. "Perhaps it would be wise if you left."

"This is far from over, boy. I have defeated Dumbledore. I will defeat you and I will not rest until everyone you love is dead or under my control. Until our next battle Harry Potter," Voldemort hissed before stepping through the wards and disapperating. His troops seeing, their master's retreat, soon followed and quiet descended once more upon Hogwarts.

Harry turned watching the sun come up over the lake, tears falling gently down his face. The school and its people were safe for now, but at what price? He felt a small hand slip into his while another larger hand was placed comfortingly on his shoulder. He smiled sadly at Ron and Hermione. They would, he knew, always be there for him.

"You did it Prongs. The school is safe," Ron said. Harry shook his head.

"We all did it. The students, the professors, the Order and aurors, even the centaurs and spiders helped. That was quite the speech you gave by the way, King. I knew you could do it," he said as Ron looked thunderstruck.

"You couldn't possibly..." Ron said, his eyes wide. It was, naturally, Hermione who answered.

"It was the spell Dumbledore did wasn't it?" she said. Harry nodded.

"I could see everything happening in the castle all at once. I'm..." he paused searching for the right words and failing. "I'm not sure how to describe it. I can feel everyone. If I concentrate I know exactly where they are and what they are doing." They stood in silence for a while, not knowing what to say.

"I can't believe he's gone," Hermione said at last, choking on her emotions.

"He's not," Harry said. "I meant what I said to Voldemort. Dumbledore will never be gone form this school. He is a part of it now. They all are... all of the Protectors. When a Protector dies, their magic goes to enforce the castle, strengthening it... renewing it. That's how I was able to push Voldemort out. It wasn't just my power. It was all of theirs."

"How did you..." Hermione said. Harry shrugged.

"Dumbledore. I heard him speaking to me just before he died. He planned it. He knew exactly what giving me the title of Protector meant for him. He chose to die to save all of us. He told me he loved me," he said.

He ran a hands tiredly through his hair and realized that they were shaking. At the same time, he felt his legs begin to tremble as the events of the night caught up to him at last. He saw Ron and Hermione exchange a concerned look as the world started to get fuzzy. Dimly, he heard them calling for help and felt Remus lifting him once more. Knowing that both he and the school were safe for now, he closed his eyes, allowing himself to sink into a deep healing slumber as he was carried to the hospital wing in his guardian's strong arms.

There you go, the battle, the death, and Voldemort as promised. I hope you enjoyed this one. A few notes.... The spiders and centaurs entering the battle was completely my son William's idea. He's been asking for it for a while. Also....****SPOILER WARNING**** Some of you may be wondering whether or not the death in the story was effected by HBP. Oddly enough, this was the death I had intended almost from the beginning. I had briefly considered killing Remus, but as he and Harry's relationship developed, I just couldn't do it. **** END SPOILER****

Thanks go out as always to my moderator Danielle, my son and beta William, and all of my readers and reviewers who have stuck with this story for so long.

There will be one more chapter after this one just to kind of wrap things up. I'll post it ASAP.

Thanks again,

Cindy aka Weasley Mom
Arising from the Ashes by Weasley Mom
All of the characters conatined herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

Harry awoke slowly to the warm yellow glow of the hospital wing's lamps. He frowned drowsily to himself, trying to remember what had happened. He didn't feel injured really, more achy and indescribably tired. He must've been sick. It would certainly explain the bizarre dreams he'd had. In one he had seen a distraught Neville Longbottom being comforted by Professor Snape of all people. A second one had featured a group of Slytherins sitting peacefully at the Gryffindor table eating. The last one he could recall was of a newly reborn Fawkes. He was standing on his perch trilling a song of heartrending sadness while tears trickled down into newly forming plummage. He wondered again both why and how he had landed himself in the hospital wing this time. Turning to his left, he saw the blurry outline of someone near his bed.

"Headmaster?" he croaked out. He felt his glasses being pressed gently to his face, as Remus Lupin came into focus. Beside him, sat a relieved looking Molly Weasley.

"I'm afraid not, Harry," his guardian said in his familiar hoarse voice. "How do you feel?"

"Like I've run a marathon and then been trampled by an entire herd of hippogriffs. How did I get here?" he said with a slight grimace.

"I carried you. You collapsed after the battle. We think that it was exhaustion," Remus said.

At Lupin's words, Harry's memories came back in a great flood. The fight with Malfoy to save Ron and Hermione... the agony and guilt in Remus' eyes as he talked about killing Pettigrew... the raw surge of power and knowledge he had been hit with when he was linked with the castle... and finally Dumbledore fighting with Voldemort, being surrounded in a halo of green light, and collapsing, lifeless to the floor. He shook his head in denial as he was hit with yet another onslaught of images and a cacophony of sound, this time from outside of himself. Gasping, he clapped his hands over his ears as he fought to slam his mental shields back into place.

"I'm telling you, Seamus, this is only the beginning. He'll be back," said Dean Thomas as he lay upside down on his bed in the sixth year boys dorm.

"I heard Potter has been sent to St. Mungo's. He-who-must-not-be-named hit him with a cruciatus and his completely nutters now," said a first year Hufflepuff to a group of his friends as they sat in the Hufflepuff common room playing exploding snap.

"But what if he never wakes up," sobbed Ginny Weasley as Hermione and Ron tried to comfort her. They were sitting with a large group of Harry's closest friends and those he considered family.

"Don't worry, sis. He will wake up. He has to," Ron said, putting an arm around her.


"Harry!" Molly Weasley exclaimed.

"What is it Pronglet? Harry!" Remus demanded frantically. "Molly go get Poppy!"

"No," Harry managed to get out. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine," Molly Weasley snapped.

"I am. I promise. I just got a bit overloaded for a minute. All of the memories of last night came back and I let my shields drop. I could hear everyone inside the castle all at once. It was just a bit much is all," he said.

"Are you sure, Harry?" Remus asked doubtfully. Harry nodded.

"Positive, although for a minute I was starting to think they were right," he replied.

"They?" Remus asked, raising a quizzical eyebrow.

"Apparently the current gossip is that I've gone completely mental and been shipped off to St. Mungo's," Harry said wryly. Despite himself, Remus gave a snort of laughter.

"This is not a laughing matter, Remus Lupin," Mrs. Weasley said sternly. Harry and Remus both looked immediately contrite.

"You're right, Mrs. Weasley. I'm sorry. It's not really funny, but I'm at the stage now where it's laugh or cry. Speaking of which, could you find Ron, Hermione, and Ginny and let them know that I'm awake and ok please?" Harry said turning pleading green eyes on her. Molly's features immediately softened.

"Of course, dear. We just sent them out to get some sleep right before you woke. They've been here since you were brought in and the whole lot of them were exhausted," she said. With that, Molly left to get the others, but not before wrapping him in one of her fierce hugs. Remus waited until she was gone before turning accusing eyes on Harry.

"Perhaps I should have named you after Padfoot instead," he said. Harry blinked innocently back at his guardian.

"What? Ginny really is upset and crying. I'm worried about her," he said.

"And?" Remus prompted, giving his ward a very pointed look.

"And... I really need to know what has been happening while I was out and did not want to fight with Mrs. Weasley to find out," Harry admitted sheepishly.

Remus sighed, studying him carefully. Harry still looked dreadfully tired, although his green eyes were lively. Remus hated to be the one to place the burden on him, but, whether Harry fully realized it or not, though not yet seventeen, he would, most likely, be the leader of the Order now. With that in mind, Remus did what he would have done for Dumbledore. He carefully ordered his thoughts and gave an organized briefing on the information that they had.

"We've taken all of the injured death-eaters into custody. Most of the enemy who died have been identified. There were a few suprises and a few new leads. Kingsley has his aurors on it. We did some pretty significant damage to their side. We captured around twenty and, mainly due to the centaurs and the spiders joining in, killed probably thirty more. No one has seen any sign of the dementors since you drove them off," Lupin told him. Harry nodded, considering this.

"What about the Slytherins who joined in?" he asked.

"Many of them have disappeared," Remus answered.

"They've gone to join him, no doubt. I wish, for Dumbledore, that we would've been able to redeem more. What about our losses?" he said, dreading Remus' answer.

"Fifteen students sent to St. Mungo's. Ten died. The aurors lost roughly twenty people, and the Order lost five," his guardian told him.

"Who?" Harry demanded softly.

"The students? Susan Bones, Michael Corner, Justine Markham, Lavender Brown, Kara Marchbanks, Marietta Edgecomb, Amber Fortescue, Zacharias Smith, Martha Donaldson, and Cho Chang," Lupin said gently. Harry closed his eyes, blocking out the images of those he'd known well. He tried to ease his grief somewhat by remembering how Cho had mourned Cedric. At least they were together now.

"What about the Order?" he asked, his voice rough with tears he refused to shed.

"Emmeline Vance, Mundungus Fletcher, Dedalus Diggle, Kendra Donaughue, and Oliver Wood," the werewolf said, his voice sorrowful. Harry bowed his head. He'd known them all, some better than others. He thought of 'Dung smoking his smelly pipe in the kitchen in Grimmauld Place as he shared some ribald story with Sirius and the twins. He thought of Oliver Wood, his face flushed and eyes flashing as he gave one of his fanatical pre-match pep talks. He had been the one to teach Harry how to play quidditch, and now he was gone.

"Anything else I need to know before Mrs. Weasley comes back with the others?" Harry said, tiredly rubbing his scar. Remus' expression hardened.

"The press is, of course, causing problems. Rita Skeeter is calling for the school to close. Madame Bones is trying to prevent it. Skeeter hasn't got much public support. There is a lot of shock over the loss of Dumbledore though, so who knows what the next few days may bring," Lupin replied. Harry had sat up at his guardian's words, a fierce light in his eye.

"This school will close over my dead body, even if I have to publicly reassure everyone myself," he said. "As long as we have students willing to attend, the doors will remain open."

"Calm down. We won't let the school be closed. I just thought you should know what's being said," Remus reassured him, forcing him to lay back down..

"I'm sorry, Remus. It's just... he died to save the school. I can't let his death be in vain," Harry said. Tears stood in his eyes, but he blinked them back. He had to be strong for everyone else, the way Dumbledore had been.

Remus frowned in concern. Harry may be their leader now, but he was also a sixteen year old boy who had just lost someone very close to him. He needed to mourn. Lupin knew first hand how unhealthy bottling up things like grief could be. He was not about to let Harry go through what he had.

"Harry..." he began only to be interrupted as the hospital doors were thrown open and the Weasleys, Hermione, and Tonks entered. Remus gave his ward a look which clearly stated that they had more to discuss. Harry ignored it and focused instead on his girlfriend who was leaning down to kiss him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry remained in the hospital wing until late the next afternoon when Madame Pomfrey saw fit to release him. He had been visited by most of the members of the D.A., as well as everyone he knew from the Order. Between Tonks, Mrs. Weasley, Hermione, and Ginny, he had been mothered so much that even he, who had suffered from a severe lack of mothering, was starting to feel smothered.

As soon as the school's nurse had informed Remus that his ward would be released, he had sent out word that a meeting of the Order would be held at Hogwarts. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny would be allowed to attend because of the key roles that they had played in the battle and the events leading up to it. Aside from that, getting any of them to leave Harry's side since he had awoken was nearly impossible. For his part, Lupin was still very concerned about Harry. He had yet to allow himself to grieve, at least in front of anyone else. Nymphadora had persuaded him to let the matter lie for now, however, reminding him that Harry needed to be allowed to mourn in his own way and his own time. Nevertheless, Remus found himself watching Harry carefully as they sat assembled in the headmaster's office awaiting the start of the meeting. He was brought out of his reverie by the sound Alastor Moody clearing his throat.

"I believe everyone is here," the auror said, his magical blue eye scanning those gathered in the room. "I know that you're all aware of the events which happened here two nights ago. Thanks to our constant vigilence, we were able to successfully defend the castle against a full scale attack by Voldemort's forces. Between those that were captured and those who were killed, the attack cost the other side more than fifty death eaters. In addition, thanks to Potter, the dementors were driven off. We have any new information about them Lupin?"

"No, Alastor. There haven't been any reported sightings of them since the battle, whether they're hiding from Harry or Voldemort though we don't know," Remus answered.

"What about our losses, Moody?" asked a short witch toward the back of the crowd.

"Twenty aurors, ten students, and five Order Members in addition to Dumbledore," Moody replied sadly. As if the mention of his name had opened a floodgate, questions started pouring forth.

"How did he die?"

"How can we possibly hope to defeat Voldemort now with Dumbledore gone?"

"Who is going to lead us?"

Harry listened to the chaos surrounding him, as people began to argue over who should lead and what the best plan of action was. He watched as Moody and Lupin tried to regain control of the meeting. He saw Percy and Bill Weasley in a heated discussion, as well as Professors McGonagall and Snape. Even Hagrid seemed to have joined in, arguing with tiny Professor Flitwick of all people. The Order appeared to be disintegrating before his eyes. Determinedly, Harry rose.

"Enough!" he said, allowing just enough of his power to show through that a faint golden glow could be seen eminating from him. Everyone ceased their arguing to stare at Harry. "Dumbledore did not make the sacrifices that he did for us to fall apart like this. Surely there is a chain of command of some sort put in place should the Order's leader die. Moody?"

"Well...now...there is...but..." Moody answered looking doubtful.

"But?" Harry prompted. It was Lupin, however, who answered.

"Harry, how much do you know about the Order's history?" he asked. Harry shrugged.

"I know it was started during the first war and that Dumbledore brought it back after Voldemort was revived," Harry said. Lupin nodded.

"The Order was very active during the first war, Harry, however, it is much older than that. It's roots go back almost to the founding of Hogwarts itself. Traditionally, the Order has been a group of warriors of the light, for lack of better word. The first Order was started by the first Protector to defend not only the school, but the entire wizarding community during times of strife. It has always been led by the Hogwarts' Protector," Moony said looking significantly at him. Harry's eyes widened as the information sunk in.

"I see," he said, his mind racing.

He was not Dumbledore. He was a sixteen year old boy who hadn't even known the wizarding community existed until he was eleven. He was also, however, the instrument of a great and terrible prophecy. He was the only one who could defeat Voldemort. He was the Hogwarts Protector. Closing his eyes, he allowed himself to feel the castle and those in it. It had a strangely calming effect upon him, and he knew what it was that he needed to do. He opened his eyes and straightened to his full height, allowing himself to draw upon the school to interject the necessary authority into his words.

"As current Hogwarts' Protector, I claim my role as leader of the Order of the Phoenix," Harry said, his green eyes defying anyone to deny him. Naturally, it was Snape who spoke up.

"Don't be ridiculous, Potter. You are barely capable of passing my class. What makes you think you can lead the Order?" Snape hissed.

"I hardly think that Harry's potion skills have any relevence here, Severus. He has lead the D.A. for two years now and he is the Protector," Professor McGonagall said. Snape's eyes flashed angrily.

"Leading a group of students in play fighting is hardly the same as leading the Order, Minerva," Snape scoffed.

"Play fighting?" Ginny Weasley demanded hotly. "Were the ten of us who died play fighting? We played just as much of role defending Hogwarts as the Order did, Professor, and you know it. Who do you think trained us? Harry is a great leader, and he is more than capable of leading the Order."

"He's only sixteen though. He shouldn't even be in the Order, let alone leading it," Molly Weasley spoke. "The fact that ten children died yesterday proves that point. You all should have been safely in your common rooms, away from the battle."

"Mum, if we were safe in our common rooms, the castle would have fallen and we would not be alive to have this discussion right now," Ginny said. "We may be young, but we're not children anymore. It's time you accepted that."

"Ginevra Molly Weasley! You listen to me..." Mrs. Weasley said, her hands on her hips and her eyes flashing. Ginny struck a nearly identical pose to her mother.

"No, mother. I won't," Ginny said defiantly. The Weasley men in the room all took a collective step back.

"Twenty galleons on Ginny," Fred whispered to George. Charlie snorted.

"I've got fifteen on, Mum. She's got the experience," he whispered. All whispering subsided when Molly and Ginny directed twin glares at them.

"Gin... Mrs. Weasley, this is neither the time nor the place for this," Harry said, bravely stepping between them, before turning to the rest of the Order. "I know I'm young and fairly inexperienced. I'm not, however, stupid, nor am I egotistical enough to think that I can just walk in and lead. I know enough to rely on the advice of those more experienced than myself."

"He'll never be capable of filling Dumbledore's shoes," Snape snarled, the raw emotion in his dark eyes taking them all by suprise.

"I'd never try to, sir. There will never, ever be another man like Albus Dumbledore," Harry said quietly.

"Perhaps you've forgotten Severus, that it was Dumbledore who chose Harry to be the Protector. He knew exactly all the implications that the title carried with it. He chose Harry as his successor," Remus said in a deceptively soft voice. His calm demeanor seemed to infuriate the professor even more. Moody moved quickly to interrupt before an all out battle erupted between the former school rivals.

"Right then. If there is no further discussion, we'll put it to a vote. Those in favor?" Moody asked. The majority of the Order members raised their hands, although there were two others besides Snape who did not. Both of them were older wizards whom Harry had only met a handfull of times.

"Motion carried. It looks like the wizarding world is in your hands, Potter," Moody said.

"Merlin help us then. Everyone the boy touches dies. His parents, his mutt of a godfather, and now Dumbledore. He died to protect you. He's gone because of you." Snape snarled his voice trembling with supressed emotion. Harry recoiled as though slapped, hanging his head.

Those who were well aquainted with Harry immediately protested. The Weasleys, particularly Molly and Ginny, looked murderous. Hagrid stood, galring at the head of Slytherin with open hostility. Tonks was being restrained by Bill and Charlie while a livid looking Lupin was advancing on the potion's master. Harry reached out a hand, stopping him.

"No, Remus. He's right," he said. Lupin turned to look at him. Tears trailed down Harry's cheeks as he at last allowed his giref to show. "Dumbledore did die for me. He died for all of us, but he isn't gone. Those who love us never truly leave us, and he loved you like a son Professor Snape. He's still there for you, if you'll let him in."

Snape looked at Harry, his mouth opening and closing soundlessly several times before he turned and left the room in a swirl of dark robes. Harry closed his eyes, sighing sadly before wiping away his tears. He realized abruptly that he was in a room full of people, a fact that he seemed to have forgotten in the emotions of the moment.

"Should umm...someone go after him?" Hermione said tentatively. Harry shook his head.

"No. This is something that he needs to deal with on his own," he replied.

Harry walked around the headmasters desk, placing his hand for a moment on the back of Dumbledore's chair, before waving his wand and conjuring one of his own. He carefully set it beside the desk and sat down, leaving the headmaster's spot, conspiciously empty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumbledore's funeral was held the following day on the Hogwarts grounds. Harry, dressed in his best school robes, was forced to stand next to Madame Bones, who seemed to think it necessary that he be introduced to all of the dignitaries who were in attendance. Most of the major wizarding communities in the world had sent representatives, as well as most of the more prominent institutions of magical education. Madame Maxime was there, doing her best to comfort a grief stricken Hagrid and, much to Ron's chagrin, Viktor Krum came to represent Durmstrang.

In addition to the veritable who's who of the rich and powerful of the wizarding world, a rather eclectic group of Dumbledore's former students and friends were in attendance as well. Florean Fortescue greeted Harry warmly, if somewhat sadly. He also was introduced to Luna's father, the proprietor of The Quibbler. Mr. Lovegood had dark hair and Luna's oddly protuding eyes. One of the last ones to arrive had been Mr. Ollivander.

"I told you that you would do great things Mr. Potter," he said simply, staring at Harry with his peculiar luminous eyes for a moment before moving on.

At last, Harry was able to slip away from Madame Bones and seat himself nervously between Ginny and Ron amongst the other Gryffindors. Remus had informed him, the night before, that he would be expected to say a few words. Harry had been at a loss, unable to put his feelings for Dumbledore into words. He still was unsure exactly what he would say. He was rather hoping inspiration would arrive before he actually had to talk. About an hour before sunset, Dumbledore's brother Aberforth walked to the podium which had been erected.

"On behalf of the family, I would like to thank everyone for coming. Albus was my older brother. It was not easy for me growing up in the shadow of someone like him. He was a hero, a mentor, a person who shaped the lives of hundreds of people. To me, however, he was the big brother who taught me how to play quidditch. He was the slob with the odd affection for muggle sweets who left candy wrappers around our room that our mum made me clean up. He was the one who got me out of the spot of trouble I got into when a couple of friends of mine and I decided that putting a talking goat into muggle farmer's barn would be an hilarious prank. Despite how busy he was, and the lofty position he held, he was never ashamed of me, never missed our regular Sunday visits. I love you Albie. I'll miss you," he said, tears streaming down his face.

After Aberforth, several important officials got up, each of them with a memory of Dumbledore and a recitation of everything from his work with Flamel to his defeat of Grindewald. Several Order members spoke as well. Moody gave a humorous account of the time, in their youth, that he and Dumbledore had been sent to deal with a rogue dragon in Ireland that had turned out to be some Muggles playing an elaborate hoax on some tourists. Hagrid had gone next, but been unable to say much as he was too choked by tears. Professor McGonagall told them how she had once caught the headmaster in the kitchen eating ice cream sundaes at one o'clock in the morning with a particularly mischievious group of students. He'd been having an eating contest with two of the boys. The headmaster had won, but all three of them had ended up with an ice cream headache. Harry couldn't help but glance over to where his guardian sat with the other Order members. As he'd suspected, Remus was grinning at the memory. McGonagall finished and returned to her seat as Remus rose and walked to the front.

"For those of you who don't know, my name is Remus Lupin. I was both a student and a professor here at Hogwarts. I met Albus Dumbledore for the first time when he came to deliver my Hogwarts letter to me. I know that is far from the usual procedure, but I was not your normal prospective student either. You see, I'm a werewolf. I was bitten as a very young child and, the world being what it is, I never thought I would be able to attend school with normal children. Until, that is, the day Professor Dumbledore came to my door." Remus paused for a moment and his gaze became unfocused, as though he were seeing again the day his letter had come..

"I remember thinking that he had the kindest eyes that I had ever seen on anyone. He asked me if my mother was home. I said that she was and went to fetch her. He told us then that he had just been made headmaster of Hogwarts and that he had heard of my rather unusual circumstances. He had come by to reassure my mum that I would have a place at the school. Mum was delighted. I hadn't seen her smile in so long and she was beaming. Then Dumbledore did something that I will never forget. He touched me. It was a simple gesture... a reassuring pat as he left, but it meant the world to me. It was the first time since I had been bitten that anyone who was aware of my condition had willingly done that. That simple careless touch opened up a whole world for me," he said.

"Once at school, I met three people who would become as brothers to me. My life was made so much better by their prescence in it. I was able to have the kind of life that other teenagers did, except for the one night a month that I transformed. His kindness to me did not end when I was no longer at school, however. When, due to some of the werewolf regulations which were passed, I was unable to become a healer as I had dreamed of doing, he found positions for me as a tutor. Eventually, he even allowed me to teach at Hogwarts. It was Dumbledore who helped me to cope when, during the first war, I lost the three people closest to me in the whole world all in the same night. Albus Dumbledore literally gave me a shot at life, and that is something that I can never ever thank him for," Remus finished. He left the podium and sat down next to Tonks, who immediately pulled him into her arms where he broke down.

Harry took a deep breath, realizing it was his turn to speak. He walked silently to the front, scanning the crowd assembled. There were many faces he recognized, and a few he didn't. All of them bore the signs of grief, except for one. Professor Snape was sitting amongst the other professors, his face cold and empty. He'd refused to speak at the funeral. He hadn't planned on attending until McGonagall made him. Deciding that he'd never make it through this speech if he had to look at Snape, Harry focused instead on Ginny, Ron, and Hermoine for a moment before opening his mouth to speak.

"Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak. Those are amongst the first words that I ever heard the headmaster say. It was during the welcome feast in my first year. I was sitting there awed by the castle and the magical world as a whole, when Dumbledore got up and welcomed us to the school with those words. I remember leaning over and asking Percy Weasley if he was mad. Percy's response was to say that Dumbledore was a genius. The best wizard in the world, but yes, he was a bit mad. Then he asked me if I wanted some potatoes as if it was the most normal thing in the world." Harry paused and snuck a quick glance at Percy. The middle Weasley child had a sad smile on his face, as though he too was remembering that particular speech.

"Over the course of the last six years of my schooling, I've come to know Dumbledore as more than just my slightly mad but brilliant headmaster. He became for me my protector, my mentor, and my friend. He did his best to insure that despite my unusual circumstances, I had as normal a childhood as he was able to provide. More importantly however, he helped me to learn the importance of love and family and allowed me to make my own mistakes, and believe me when I say I have made them. Probably the most precious thing he ever gave me though was something few people were allowed, a glimpse at the true Albus Dumbledore." Harry was forced to pause again as he fought back tears.

"As I first year, out doing things I shouldn't have, I found the Mirror of Erised and was, as so many before me, inexorably drawn to it. The headmaster found me in front of it one night and explained to me what it was and why it could be so dangerous. For some reason, and I'll never know why, I felt the need to ask him what he saw when looking at it. Rather than tell me to mind my own business as most adults would have, he smiled at me and said, 'I see myself holding a pair of thick woolen socks.' The most brilliant wizard in the world and the deepest desire of his heart was a pair of warm socks. That was Dumbledore," Harry said, feeling tears begin to trail down his face.

"Yes, he was the hero who defeated Grindewald, the wise and powerful wizard who even Voldemort feared, and the brilliant scholar and statesman, but to those of us who knew him, he was so much more. He was a man who loved unconditionally and accepted people without question. He believed that everyone deserved a second chance be they pureblood, muggleborn, half-giant, werewolf, reformed death eater, or even a frightened and grief stricken fifteen year old boy who in a fit of rage destroyed his office,"he said. His voice was hoarse with emotion, but he was determined not to break down until after he had said all he needed to say.

"He meant so much to me and to so many others, my parents and godfather included. I will miss him for his sage advice and his dedication to doing what was right, but even more so for the twinkle in his eyes when he was amused, the lemon drops that he never failed to offer, and those quirky, nonsensical start of term speeches which were always the signal to me that I was home at Hogwarts."

" On behalf of myself, your students, staff, and all of those who loved you, goodbye Professor. I hope..." Harry had to stop and swallow hard several times. He took a breath and bravely continued. "I hope that wherever you are now, you have an endless supply of your favorite sweets and a thick pair of wool socks."

Shakily he stepped down from the podium and walked to the dias upon which the white coffin which contained Dumbledore's body lay. Moody, Remus, Hagrid, Snape, Aberforth, and Mr. Weasley joined him. At a nod from Moody, Harry and the others muttered the incantation to levitate the coffin and led the way to the shores of the lake. Behind them walked the Minister of Magic and other heads of state, closely followed by the Hogwarts staff, the Order members, and the headmaster's friends. Bringing up the rear was the entire student body. They walked to the lake in a silence broken only by the periodic cries of the mourners.

Once there, they laid the coffin on a white barge which had been waiting in the water. One by one, the pallbearers touched their wands to the coffin... first Aberforth, then Moody, then Hagrid, Lupin, Harry, and finally, his hand visibly shaking, despite the still stoic expression upon his face, Snape. The coffin ignited and, as though pushed by an invisible wind, the barge began to float slowly out into the lake. As the boat reached the center of the lake, Fawkes appeared in a burst of flame. Slowly, on newly formed plummage, he circled the floating pyre singing a song of heartbreaking sadness as the fire burned away the mortal remains of Albus Dumbledore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days after Dumbledore's funeral, the decision was made by the board of governors, in light of the attack upon the school, to close Hogwarts for the summer. Students, rather than traveling home via the Hogwarts express as normal, would be taking portkeys to secure locations set up by the Ministry. Harry, though unhappy with the early closure, had decided not to fight it. He was saving his arguments in case the board felt the need to shut down the school completely. Should they attempt to do that, Harry intended to show them just why he was the only person to have ever faced Voldemort six times and live.

The day of their scheduled departure Harry was sitting on his bed watching as Neville searched the room for Trevor the Toad. Currently, all that was visible of his friend were his shoes as he was stretched out under Ron's bed.

"Honestly Nev, why don't you leave that thing home next year. He's always hopping off," Ron said lazily popping a chocolate frog into his mouth. Neville poked his dust bunny covered head out from beneath the bed.

"Because Gran would tell me that I'm being rude. Trevor was a gift, besides, looking for him gives me an excuse to sneak into a lot of places I otherwise wouldn't get to see," Neville replied grinning.

"Why Neville Longbottom, I am shocked. Perhaps we should mention it to Professor McGonagall," Ron teased much to Dean and Seamus' amusement.

"You do and I'll mention to Hermione that calender your brothers bought you for Christmas," Neville said innocently. Ron paled several shades and put his hands up in surrender. Chuckling to himself, Neville continued his search under Dean's bed.

"You better hurry up Neville," Dean said. "We've only got about a half hour before we have to leave."

"A half an hour? Rotten toad. I'll never be able to find him in that amount of time," Neville's muffled voice said from under the bed.

"He's not in here," Harry said closing his eyes and concentrating for a moment. "Flitwick's office, behind the garbage can." Ignoring the shocked stares of his room mates, he snatched one of Ron's chocolate frogs and went off to Hagrid's where he knew Remus and Tonks were. Ron followed him.

"How did you do that?" Ron asked once they had left the common room behind. Harry shrugged.

"Since they did that spell to bind me to the castle I can sort of sense things. If I concentrate hard enough on someone, I can almost see them," he replied.

"Wicked!" Ron exclaimed. "Where's Hermione?" Harry concentrated on her for a moment.

"In her dorm. She's trying to cram all her books into her trunk. There is no way they're going to fit. She's going to have to shrink them," he said matter of factly.

"What about Ginny?" Ron asked. Harry turned his thoughts to her and immediately turned a brilliant shade of red.

"Shower," he said shortly.

"What! You just saw my sister in the shower?" Ron shouted, earning stares from a group of passing fourth year Hufflepuffs.

"Shut up, mate. Do you want the whole castle to hear? It was your idea anyway," Harry hissed.

"No more concentrating on my sister, got it?" Ron ordered.

"Only in emergencies," Harry promised.

The boys made their way out the front doors and headed across the grounds to Hagrid's where, as Harry had sensed, they found Remus and Tonks. They were standing in Hagrid's garden talking quietly. Hagrid wasn't there. He was up at the castle assisting the heads of house in sending the students home.

"Harry, Ron, shouldn't you two be packing?" Remus asked as they approached. Harry shook his head while Ron rolled his eyes.

""Mione made us do that last night. Didn't follow her own advice though," Ron said grumpily, still miffed over the incident with Ginny.

"You and Hermione have another fight again, Ron?" Tonks asked. Ron shook his head. Harry blushed.

"I have a feeling we're missing something," Remus said. "Don't suppose either of you are willing to tell me what are you?"

"Not in this lifetime," Harry replied.

"I thought as much. Just tell me this, it doesn't involve anyone dying or do something illegal does it?" Remus asked. Both boys shook their heads. "Right then. So, did you need anything in particular Harry or did you two just happen by?"

"Actually, I was just wondering if you'd perhaps changed your mind about letting me fly back to London on the bike?" Harry asked, turning his best puppy dog eyes on his guardian. Remus just shook his head.

"No chance, Pronglet. It is just too dangerous for you to fly the bike all that way by yourself," Remus said.

"Oh come on, Remus. Please," Harry pleaded.

"He's right, Harry. We still have no idea what Moldy Voldy is up too right now, and there still hasn't been any sign of the dementors. It's not safe," Tonks said.

"We have, however, decided that you should have the bike in London with you," Remus said, with a mischievious grin.

"But, how... You're going to fly it?" Harry said incredulously. Ron snorted.

Neither of them could see their professor flying the powerful bike. Moony just grinned in answer, pulling off his outer robe to reveal a black dragon hide jacket. On the back, in silver letters the word "Marauders" was stitched. Beneath it was the picture of a very lifelike silver wolf. Under the wolf, in the same stitching as the first word, was written "Moony".

"Woah," Ron said. "Where'd you get that?"

"Sirius had them made for all of us when he got the bike. I'm not sure what happened to everyone else's," Moony said over his shoulder as he wheeled the bike out of Hagrid's shed and climbed on. Tonk's quickly tapped her robe changing it into a black dragonhide jacket of her own. This one had a slightly smaller silver wolf on the back and the word "Tonks" in the same stitching as Remus'. Grinning, she winked at Harry and Ron and climbed up behind her fiancee.

"We'll see you boys back at Grimmauld Place," Moony said. Harry nodded.

"Have a good flight. Make sure you remember the emergency booster, and watch the turns, the stearing is a little sticky. I need to work on that this summer. Oh and..." he said. Remus threw back his head and laughed.

"You're worse than Sirius was about this thing. I solemnly swear that I will not put so much as a scratch on it, now get up to the castle before you two miss your portkey," he ordered. With that, he started the bike and took off with a roar and a delighted whoop of joy from Tonks. They wheeled the bike in a loop out over the Forbidden Forest and across the lake, disappearing against the distant horizon. When they could no longer be seen, Harry and Ron returned to the castle where they were met by Hermione and Ginny.

"Where have you two been? Our portkeys will be leaving any minute," Hermione said, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Sorry Hermione. It's my fault. We were just saying good-bye to Remus and Tonks," Harry said.

"Yes, well, we need to hurry, come on grab your trunks," Hermione snapped. Behind her back Ginny rolled her eyes.

"She had to leave some books behind," she whispered to Harry as they made their way down to the Great Hall where they would be leaving from. They arrived just in time. Hermione's portkey was getting ready to depart. She would be spending the first few weeks of summer with her family before returning to Grimmauld Place in time for Remus and Tonks' wedding.

"I'll miss you. Make sure to owl me, and do be careful," she said, tears in her eyes as she wrapped both Harry and Ginny in quick hugs.

She then turned to Ron, kissing him soundly and leaving him with a bright red ears and a slightly vacant expression. Waving once more, she grabbed the portkey Professor Flitwick was offering and disappeared as it activated.

Harry, Ginny, and Ron would all be returning to Grimmauld Place. A special portkey had been made for their use which would take them directly to Order headquaters. Harry looked around one last time at the Great Hall remembering all that had happened this year and realizing how much he had changed. Closing his eyes, he reached out to the school.

"I'll be back," he silently promised, receiving a surge of warmth and love through the connection.

Feeling Ginny's tiny hand slip into his, he opened his eyes and smiled down at her, as Ron put an arm around his shoulder.

"Come on, mate. Time to go home," Ron said, steering him over to where Moody waited with their portkey.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The End ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A/N: TA-DA! There you go all... the final chapter of Finally Home. I can not express enough my appreciation for all of you who have stuck with this story for so long. It has been quite a process for me personally, but thanks to all of you, and all of the truly wonderful reviews you have given me, it has been completely worth all of the effort that I put into it. Thank you seems completely inadequate, but thank you anyway.

Thanks as always go out to the hardworking Danielle who not only approved my stories but took the time to give me input on them as well. She is, in my humble opinion, the best mod on the site.

I also need to thank my son Will who was my beta for most of the story. He not only read through all my chapters and all my rough drafts but suffered through hour after hour of me bouncing ideas off of him and my whining when the plot bunnies were being unkind.

I hope that everyone enjoyed the story. I will be writing a sequel, as soon as I figure out where I want to go with it.

Thank you again and my undying gratitude,

Cindy
aka
Weasley Mom


AUTHOR'S NOTE ADDENDUM: For those who have asked... the sequel to this story is titled From the Ashes. The first chapter of it is up and can be found under the general fics category.