Want You To Want Me by luinrina
Summary: ‘Didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I see you cryin’?

It’s the graduation party of Scorpius Malfoy and Rose Weasley, and he’s trying to win her once and for all. How is he going to do that? And how will she react?

‘Didn’t you, didn’t you, didn’t you see me smilin’?
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3809 Read: 2511 Published: 03/18/09 Updated: 03/18/09

1. Didn't I See You Smilin'? by luinrina

Didn't I See You Smilin'? by luinrina
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer:
I do not own any of the recognised characters; if I did, I wouldn’t need to go to my RL work anymore, would I? ;)

Words and music are by Rick Nielsen; I merely changed some lines towards the end to fit the story. And thanks to Mere for offering this wonderful prompt for SPEW LoveNotes 2009. *pickles*

The evening wasn’t quite what he had expected. Yes, the party was loud, carefree and fun, and the music playing compelled many to dance. Currently, half of his classmates of all houses were moving rhythmically to the entrancing beat. He could see his friends laughing with girls, and girls flirting with boys. Everyone felt great at this graduation party.

Except for him.

Sighing, he bent forwards on his chair and hid his face in his hands. What had he done wrong? She should be there with him, but instead he couldn’t even discern her in the large moving mass of young men and women. It almost seemed that she had decided not to come to her own graduation party.

He rubbed his face tiredly, then spied someone who might have had an idea of her whereabouts. Maybe he could help him.

Scorpius got up, straightened his shoulders, and walked over to the Herbology teacher. He was holding a pint of Butterbeer, and although he wasn’t actively dancing, his feet tapped with the rhythm of the song.

‘Excuse me, Professor Longbottom,’ Scorpius began, tapping the older man on the shoulder.

The man turned around, and upon recognising Scorpius, an even bigger smile lit up his already smiling face. ‘Mr Malfoy, how are you? I hope you’re enjoying this party.’

Scorpius attempted a smile of his own, but failed. It looked rather like a sarcastic grimace. ‘I’m enjoying myself, thank you, Professor. I have a question, though. Would you by any chance know where Miss Rose Weasley is? I cannot see her in this crowd.’ He moved his arm in a wide sweep to signal that he meant his classmates.

Professor Longbottom looked around, too. ‘I know I’ve seen her some time ago, here, at this party. Maybe she’s just gone to powder her nose or she’s outside in the grounds to catch some fresh air. After all, it is quite hot and dry in here.’ He tugged at his collar to demonstrate his point.

‘I see,’ Scorpius said. His mind had already wandered out of the Great Hall, intending to search for her; he thought the second suggestion of Rose’s location much more believable than the first. ‘Thank you, Professor.’

‘You’re welcome,’ Professor Longbottom responded, but Scorpius couldn’t hear him anymore. He had already left the party.

Once in the Entrance Hall, he turned left and walked out through the wide open double doors. Scorpius felt revitalised instantly, the relatively cool but definitely fresh air hitting his face and urging him to take several deep breaths. It was wonderfully freeing. But it had not been his intention to refresh himself. He wanted to look for someone.

I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
I’d love you to love me.
I’m beggin’ you to beg me.

Walking down the stairs, he slowly made his way over to the lake. He had no idea where she could be, but some inner feeling told him to start looking at the water’s edge. It had been her favourite place whenever she looked for somewhere to sit when outside in the grounds. And sure enough, the moment he arrived within seeing and hearing distance of the Black Lake, he could discern voices. Hers was among the small group of chatting girls, and her clear laughter was carried far across the grounds and lake. It was entrancing.

Scorpius slipped behind a tree and proceeded to listen to their conversation.

‘Rose,’ a girl asked in that moment, ‘why don’t you have a partner for the party? Was there no one who would ask you out?’

Rose giggled. ‘Of course there was someone. In fact, there were many someones. But I didn’t want a date. It’s a graduation party, not a Valentine’s Day.’ She lifted her hand as if to brush the idea off. ‘Besides, there’s only one person with whom I would have considered going, and this person didn’t ask me.’ Scorpius felt more than saw from where he stood hidden that she shrugged.

The girls giggled. ‘Ooohh… Who is this someone?’

For some time, nothing was said. Scorpius only heard the waves of the lake roll softly onto the shore. He briefly wondered if she had even heard her friends’ question. But then, Rose quietly admitted, ‘Scorpius Malfoy.’

Again, silence laid itself over the group. It engulfed the girls like a heavy blanket. But it was banished when the girls succumbed to giggles once again. ‘Rose! Always being the laid-back person, but craving the most handsome guy at school? You’re such a secretive person!’ More giggles followed that exclamation.

Scorpius still stood behind the tree and could not grasp what she had just said. She wanted to go with me?

‘Why didn’t you ask him first?’ someone asked in a serious tone once the giggling had subsided a bit. Rose got up.

‘We don’t fit anyway.’ Her voice was sad, yet anger resonated out of it, and Scorpius had the impression that he didn’t just imagine that a little sob escaped her after she fell silent. ‘We never had a relationship, and we will never have one. Besides, our families are enemies. They might have settled their differences from their time in school, but I can see it in Dad that he still doubts Mr Malfoy’s intentions. So it’s not going to work out anyway. James had been right from the beginning.’ She stepped over the ring of the girls and marched off towards the castle. Scorpius quickly slid deeper into the tree’s shadow to not be seen. It would have been really awkward had she found out he had been eavesdropping, especially when she was angry.

Once the girls were out of sight – they had got up, too, and followed Rose into the castle – he went over to the lake’s shore. His gaze swept the quiet surface of the dark shimmering water. Suddenly, he had an idea. It might have been a crazy one, something she could despise him for forever, but it was a chance to show her just how much he needed her.

Swivelling around sharply, Scorpius walked back to the castle. Rose, you’ll be mine. And if I can’t have you, then it’s not worth it anymore anyway.

He just hoped she wouldn’t kill him at first chance.

~*~

‘Excuse me,’ a boy said, his voice quiet. Insecurity resonated in his words; to her it appeared as if he wasn’t used to asking for anything. ‘Is there still a seat free?’

Looking up, a set of soft grey eyes met hers, but they vanished again when her cousin stood up. ‘No. We don’t want to have people like you sitting with us –’

‘James,’ she intervened, ‘you don’t even know him. How can you say such things?’

‘Because he’s a Malfoy. His father is bad.’

‘And? Honestly, you can’t judge a child by their parents’ actions. How can he be bad? He’s no older than Albus or me are. Give him a chance to prove himself. He might be friendly and a really nice guy.’

When James turned around to her to give her his piece of mind, she briefly caught sight of him. He was smiling gratefully, and his eyes held a soft sparkle that let her smile in return.

~*~

She wasn’t dancing. He saw it immediately when he entered the Great Hall. She had sat down on one of the comfortable lounge corners, a cup in her hand. Her friends were nowhere in sight; only Albus Potter, her cousin, kept her company.

Scorpius made a detour around the corner where they sat and headed to the stage. The band was playing a fast up-beat song, and the masses on the dance floor seemed to fuse together into one big something that couldn’t be called human anymore. They seemed to enjoy it though.

Looking away from the dance floor, Scorpius went to the side of the stage, then waited. The song ended soon, and the band took a little break to catch their breaths. When the guitarist and lead singer noticed Scorpius, he went over. Bending down, he asked what he wanted.

‘Do you know the song I Want You To Want Me, by Rick Nielsen? It’s a Muggle tune though; you might not have heard of it.’ Scorpius wanted to be a little bit hopeful but didn’t allow himself this emotion. It would have been too much of a disappointment if the guitarist told him they didn’t know this song.

But Scorpius shouldn’t have worried. ‘Sure we do. I’m Muggle-born, and that’s the favourite song of my dad.’

A content smile crept onto Scorpius’ face. ‘Mind if I sing it?’

Surprise etched into the older man’s features. ‘Someone to dedicate it to?’ He winked, and had he been standing next to Scorpius, he might have nudged the blond teenager.

‘Yes. So, do you mind?’

A big grin started to spread into the guitarist’s face. ‘Not at all. Here, take the microphone and come up.’

‘Thank you.’ Scorpius walked over to the little stairs that led up onto the stage, but when he was about to put his foot onto the first stair, he asked, ‘Can you switch off the light? I want it to be… a surprise.’

‘Naturally,’ the musician replied with a wide grin. He drew his wand and flicked it into the direction of the headlights. They went off immediately, and curious yet excited murmur started to rise from the partying crowd.

~*~

An excited murmur spread through the group while they waited. Rose looked left and right; she had lost her cousin, Albus. She knew he was somewhere among all those people, but still. She wished he was at her side now. What if she didn’t get into the house her parents wanted her to be in?

‘Thanks for standing up for me back there, in the train,’ someone whispered next to her. She turned around and saw the boy of before standing next to her. His blond hair was rumpled, as if he had run his hands through it several times. The sparkle in his eyes had gone, replaced by… fear?

‘You’re welcome,’ she said. She didn’t want to think about the up-coming Sorting so any distraction she embraced with wide opened arms. ‘I’m Rose, Rose Weasley.’ She held out her hand for him to shake.

He smiled and took it. ‘Scorpius Malfoy. Nice to meet you.’

‘Same here.’ She smiled. ‘And don’t listen to what my cousin says. He’s… prejudiced.’

‘I’ll try –’ he began but was interrupted when the professor came back to escort them to their Sorting.

~*~

Scorpius walked to the edge of the stage and grabbed the microphone tightly. His palms were sweating, and a shiver of nervousness ran down his spine. The Great Hall was dark, but it was still light enough to see the people looking questioningly at each other. Scorpius could even see her sitting in the lounge corner; the way she sat betrayed her curiosity about what was to come.

Good. Hopefully, she’ll like it.

The music started to play, and the guitarist sang the first lines.

‘I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
I’d love you to love me.
I’m beggin’ you to beg me.’

With the first notes of the song, the headlights had slowly started to gleam again, and were now bathing the hall in a mixture of green, blue, red and many other colours. The people became excited and raised their hands, swinging them in the rhythm of the tune.

Feeling a little less nervous, Scorpius raised the microphone to his lips and started to sing.

‘I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
I’d love you to love me.
I’ll shine up the old brown shoes, put on a brand-new shirt.
I’ll get home early from work if you say that you love me.’

~*~

With a loud clunk, her bag met the library table. The librarian shot her a reproachful look, but Rose didn’t care. With a loud sigh, she let herself fall onto a chair. She folded her arms on the table’s surface and hid her head on them. This was how Scorpius found her some moments later.

‘You know, if you continue to piss off the librarian, then you might receive a life-long ban. Is it worth it?’

Rose lifted her head and looked at him while he sat down next to her. ‘What do you want, Scorpius?’ She didn’t care that she sounded quite rude, at least for the moment she spoke the words; the blink of an eye later, however, she regretted her foul tone. ‘Sorry,’ she murmured.

He brushed it off. ‘Don’t worry about it. And I’m here because of the assignment, if you remember the homework Professor Longbottom set us?’

‘Oh.’

For the next half hour, both worked mostly in silence, only occasionally asking for a quill or the other’s opinion on something. But homework can only last so long, and soon, Rose had finished her part of the assignment. She closed her books and stood to bring back the library volumes. When she returned, Scorpius had finished as well. Together, they then left the library and went down to the Great Hall for dinner.

‘You know,’ Rose began, and when Scorpius turned towards her, she blushed. ‘Should I ever marry, my husband needs to be there for me whenever I need him. I don’t want to have someone who cares for only himself. I need someone who I can lean onto if I need and want it.’

Scorpius didn’t say anything for a while, but shortly before they entered the Great Hall, he asked, ‘Why did you tell me this?’

Rose didn’t reply.

~*~

His classmates seemed to like the music and him singing; they cheered him until his ears started to hurt from their noise. But he enjoyed it for he knew it would be over too soon again.

‘Didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I see you cryin’?
Oh, didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I see you cryin’?
Feelin’ all alone without a friend, you know you feel like dyin’.
Oh, didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I see you cryin’?’

~*~

‘What do you want?’ she asked the group of five boys in what she thought was a friendly yet still demanding tone. She hoped to have them talk peacefully rather than unnecessarily argue with their fists.

‘Look where you’re going,’ snarled one of the boys, his face dominated by a deep scowl. He didn’t like her, and it was no secret to find that out from the way he stood and spoke to her.

But Rose was no one to be defeated easily. ‘If I may correct you, it was you who bumped into me –’

‘How dare you accuse me? I would never even touch a Mudblood like you!’

A collected gasp went through the assembled crowd that had gathered around Rose and the Slytherin boys. All chatter ceased when the foul word had been uttered, and more than just one angry face glared at the Slytherins. Though there were also supporters of the pure-blood mania, and those drew their wands. They were outnumbered but would fight, mercilessly, if the situation asked for it.

‘Take that back right now!’ someone ordered, the voice coming all of a sudden and from someone Rose wouldn’t have expected to help her. ‘She’s not what you called her, so apologise.’

The Slytherin boy laughed tauntingly. ‘She’s always been a Mudblood, Malfoy. Once a Mudblood, always one.’ His grin grew and became devilish, and a dangerous sparkle glittered in his eyes; a silent dare to Rose and Scorpius.

The latter took the challenge and punched the Slytherin boy into the face. ‘She’s not a Muggle-born. Her mother might be one, but it wouldn’t matter if she was.’

~*~

While singing the refrain, he saw Rose had got up and come closer to the stage. She was watching him intently, though he couldn’t read her expression. Her face was devoid of all emotions.

Not wanting to give up yet, Scorpius had an idea. He didn’t know if it would work, but he would try it, no matter what. After all, one needs to have some confidence now and then to achieve some goals in life.

~*~

‘Rose, wait! Please wait.’

She turned around upon hearing the call and saw Scorpius coming towards her, weaving his way through the crowd. He lifted an arm above his head and winked at her while still some distance away; he let the arm sink back at the side of his body only once he stood in front of her.

‘Thanks,’ he said, his breathing sped up. ‘I thought… I wouldn’t… catch you anymore.’

‘What is it?’ she asked while following him out of the way. They went over to the left wall. ‘Did something happen?’

‘Um, yes, something did happen. They announced the next Hogsmeade weekend.’

‘Really?’ Rose’s eyes lit up. ‘That’s good news. I need new quills.’ She smiled widely which infected Scorpius. A wide smile of his own crept into his features.

‘Rose, would you, um, like to spend the next Hogsmeade trip with me?’

~*~

‘I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
I’d love you to love me.
I’m beggin’ you to beg me.
I’ll cook you your favourite meal, then wash the dishes.
I’ll always be there for you if you say that you love me.’

Scorpius had gone creative and quickly composed some new lines into the song. Doesn’t sound too bad, he thought, wondering if anyone had noticed the change of text.

When sweeping the Great Hall once again with his eyes, Scorpius was proud to see that he had managed to engage nearly everyone in dancing and cheering to the song. He looked for Rose, to check if he could now find out what she was thinking, but when his gaze stopped at the place she had last stood, he found it empty. She had vanished once again.

~*~

‘So, you’re meeting with our cousin? Who do you think you are, Malfoy?’

When Rose turned the corner, she noticed her cousins gathered around Scorpius. James seemed to be the leader of the Potter-Weasley gang, and he was currently the one who actively cornered the blond youth while jabbing hard against Scorpius’ chest, which made him stumble backwards.

‘James, stop it!’ Rose shouted, deciding to intervene before something bad happened. She didn’t want Scorpius hurt.

‘Rose, leave that to us men –’ James began but Rose interrupted him mercilessly.

‘Huh! You’re not men yet. There’s still missing a lot until you are men.’ She stood in front of Scorpius, shielding him from her cousins. She didn’t know why they were out for his blood; he had done nothing to anyone of them. Unless they believe that having gone to the village with me twice is like we’re dating, Rose thought which made her expression harden. It was stupid of them, and she would make them realise it.

‘Rose, step aside.’

‘I won’t, James. He has done nothing to you, so leave him alone.’

‘He has insulted us.’

‘In what way? By accompanying me to Hogsmeade? Ha! Very funny!’ She laughed shortly, and it was obvious that she didn’t find it funny in the least.

Rose took Scorpius’ hand and led him away from her cousins, not caring that James was shouting for her to stop.

~*~

‘Didn’t you, didn’t you, didn’t you see me smilin’?
Oh, didn’t you, didn’t you, didn’t you see me smilin’?
Feelin’ love and warmth spread through me, I know I felt like sighin’.
Oh, didn’t you, didn’t you, didn’t you see me smilin’?’

Applause suddenly rose from the crowd, and Scorpius felt someone softly touch him on the shoulder. He turned around and saw Rose standing next to him, on the stage. She had her own microphone in her hand which she raised to her lips. With a genuine smile, she sang:

‘Feelin’ love and warmth spread through me, I know I feel like sighin’.
Oh, didn’t you, didn’t you, didn’t you see me smilin’?’

A smile of his own spread across Scorpius’ face, and he joined Rose in the last refrain:

‘I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
I’d love you to love me.
I’m beggin’ you to beg me.
I want you to want me.
I want you to want me.
I want you to want me.
You want me to want you.’

The music ended, and everyone started clapping enthusiastically. Scorpius looked at her; she wore another unreadable expression which urged him to look away. He felt all his hopes of winning her lost and shattered, despite the short stroke of luck he had felt when seeing her stand next to him on the stage.

Intending to leave, Scorpius turned around, but before he could do one step, a hand grabbed his and held it tight. The fingers of this other hand were curling around his, entwining them tightly. Scorpius looked back at her, and though her face was still hard to read, a smile had formed around her lips, and her eyes were shimmering with joy. It gave him new hopes.

‘Rose Weasley,’ he began and fell on a knee. He took her other hand, too, and held them both while asking, ‘Do you want to go to the graduation party with me?’

For a moment, Rose didn’t say anything, but then she closed her eyes and a grin grew out of her smile. Scorpius’ face lit up as well, and he leapt up and embraced her slender form in a bear hug.

‘You know, for a moment I thought you’re going to ask me if I want to marry you.’ Scorpius looked at her, his eyebrows raised. It caused her to start giggling. ‘But yes, I want to go to the graduation party with you.’

‘That’s great,’ Scorpius whispered into her ear, then claimed her mouth for a long and heated kiss.

The pair never realised when the on-looking crowed started to clap and cheer.

End Notes:
A huge thank you to my beta Meda *hugglesquishes*.

Now that you've come to the end, it would be great if you could tell me what you thought about this one-shot. Thanks for reading.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=82744